Posted by psgels on 25 September 2006 with categories: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni

Image Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

Only when this episode started, I finally realized what the meaning was of Rena, being put in Keiichi’s place in the first arc. In the first arc, Keiichi doubted his friends, and killed them. In the sixth arc, Rena doubted her friends, and she’ll probably start killing them if it weren’t for Keiichi and the rumoured “good ending” that this arc is supposed to have.

In any case, if you haven’t read the tips (like I almost did): what Rena told Keiichi last time doesn’t necessarily have to be true. She’s suffering from a disease in which she thinks that she’s being infected by parasites. Takano’s other scrapbooks, who get shown this episode, seem to symbolize this.

We start with Rena makes a phone call with Oishi, in which she tells him her suspicions. This makes Oishi suspect the Sonozaki-family. Oishi then tells Rena about the fact that Takano was supposed to be dead at the Watanagashi. She could have used a fake body, or she could have a twin sister. Either way, it remains strange. Rena hangs up, and a police officer tells Oishi that Kasai is supposed to be looking for Rena. You’d wonder why he was with Shion during the previous arc when it seems that he’s such an important person in the Sonozaki-family. The officer also tells that Rena has disappeared. Oishi is quite pissed because of this delay of information.

Back to Mion and Keiichi, Mion tells him that she moved the body parts from two episodes ago, as there seemed to be a big plan to deforest the mountain. The body parts quite probably ended up right at the bottom of the well. Then, we switch to Rena, and it indeed becomes clear that victims of the mysterious disease have hallucinations. Rena apparently has been scratching her neck too often, and parasites are coming out. Once again, this looks so incredibly fake that it almost becomes scary.

Rena spots a couple of officers, looking for her, so she decides to head to a place where nobody can find her. Even Keiichi, who just happens to run into her right when she plans to leave. Convenient timing. Anyway, the way Keiichi mistrusted Rena in the first arc, right now Rena mistrusts Keiichi. Rena has labelled Mion as the main suspect. She also reveals that she did some research on him, and then it turns out that even Keiichi has sinned in his past. There’s just more than being bullied, like the things shown in the third arc. The dialogue is a bit fuzzy, but if I understood it correctly, he hit little children with plastic guns. Then, when things turned out of hand, he alerted his parents, they cleared things for him and they moved to Hinamizawa. Strange, I never knew that Keiichi’s parents were that rich.

Because of this, Keiichi starts thinking. He’s really doesn’t want to lose his friends in this arc. Even more than in the third one. The day afterwards, he thinks it’s best for him to tell about his past to Rika, Satoko and Mion. Strangely enough, he keeps quiet about Rena. In any case, quite an emotional scene follows. It would have been extremely good, weren’t for the fact that Keiichi’s voice-acting was incredibly garbage. Because of that, the scene was very good, though it could have been so much better.

Rika, Mion and Satoko manage to convince Keiichi that there’s nothing wrong with keeping secrets you don’t want to speak about. Then a very interesting event happens. Keiichi seems to remember his life from the first arc! And what’s more, Rika seems to know about it too! With this, most of the first arc also is revealed, although it’s something that has been clear for a long while. At that time, Rena had the same feeling towards Keiichi as Keiichi has towards his friends right now. The syringe was just an ordinary pen, which seemed to have been the cure for the strange disease. (On a side-note: was Rika carrying a pen as well in the fifth arc? If she was, this mystery would be getting a whole new dimension).

Rika decides to forgive Keiichi for this. But it does raise a strange question. How is she able to remember this, if the cause is not supernatural? In any case, Rika decides to help Keiichi save Rena. Quite an embarrassing scene occurs when Keiichi starts hugging Mion out of the blue. His voice acting turns down, which makes that scene quite touching indeed.

Next up, quite a humorous scene in which Oishi and three other policemen are questioning Mion, her mother and Kasai. What happened to Obaba? Anyway, it really seems now that Oishi and the Sonozaki-family are not on good terms, confirming the fight that Mion and Oishi once had. It seems that the Sonozaki-family never had their eyes on Rena in the first place. Also, none of the murders where the victims were found were committed by them. After all, if they were, the bodies were hidden in the well. It’s also one of the first time to see Mion’s mother actually talk. On a side-note: what happened to her in the fifth arc? Shouldn’t she have noticed Shion?

We close the episode with Rena, leaving town.

Next up, the TIPS for this episode:

Them:
It’s a pretty straightforward one, explaining a bit about Rena’s Alien-theory. She thinks she’s being watched by strange beings, aliens. She runs away, and she starts to scratch. Seriously, the anime shouldn’t attempt to visualize this gore. For some reason, the creators seem to think that showing everything in full detail has the most impact, though there are way better techniques for doing this.

Rena’s Hideout:
Still being translated

Keiichi’s past:
Ah, of course. It was a bit strange that Keiichi’s past wasn’t told in full detail, but apparently, the creators had to cut this part in order to compensate from the horribly long fifth arc. It’s quite a sad and shocking story. You’d wonder why the anime cut that part out. After all, especially the part where the girl was shot in the eye could have been great bait for them to turn into another horribly animated scene. Still, it entirely explains his reaction. It’s probably one of the reasons that he’s so mature for his age. He’s already had the time in which he goofed off like a monkey, and he was so shocked by this that he suddenly started looking differently at life. I wonder what happened to the little girl.

The Reason to Move to Hinamizawa:
This explains Keiichi’s father’s reason to come to Hinamizawa. Wait a minute. Two little girls with long, straight hair? I think we’re missing something here. Just who the heck was playing along with Rika!? And what does this “Arg ouch gaf” mean? Rika!!!!

Last Night:
Wait… what the heck is Rika hiding!? Right here, she’s seen with someone who’ll die along with her. I think that she and her mysterious friend are actually part of the bottom of this mystery. It’s great to hear, as she’s my favourite character. For some reason, this TIP also really begins to make me question whether there aren’t any bits of supernatural events present in Higurashi. It’s also a sneaky anime. It focuses on Keiichi, Rena and Mion, while Rika’s meanwhile doing her own things, waiting to be killed.

It seems that the two of them are actually re-experiencing every single one of the arcs. And every arc, different events happen. Because of this, they hope to run into one arc, which will solve everything. I’m suspecting this to be arc 7. What’s even more surprising is that Keiichi’s performance of today actually inspired Rika, in order to believe that there actually can be an arc, in which things will be solved. Oh god, I am SO hoping for the final arcs to be animated. It won’t seem that the sixth arc will be long enough to solve this problem. I think it’ll only solve the things on the surface, not below. Ah well, this show may have done a lot of things wrong, it did make me want Rika to be saved. Rika!!!!!

In any case, back to the anime. Let’s take a look at the good parts of the individual arcs. The first arc was amazing when Keiichi told a lie, and Rena doubted him. Or at least, Keiichi thought that Rena doubted him. When you’re anxious, and you tell a lie, it’s easy to believe you’re not being trusted. The second arc didn’t really have a great part. It rather had some amusing moments, but nothing amazing came. The good part of the third arc was Keiichi again, who first tried to assassinate Satoko’s uncle in a very amateurish way, making you hope for him not to be discovered and afterwards, he found out nothing really happened. The huge strength of the fourth arc was probably because it delved so incredibly deep in the mystery of Higurashi. Deeper than any of the arcs so far. And I have to admit, so far, the story behind Higurashi seems awesome. The fifth arc had no good points. The strength of the sixth arc was quite possibly the level of maturity, coming from all of the characters.

The moment I started writing the above paragraph, I tried to make some kind of point. Unfortunately, I forgot. And with that, I’m off, hoping for the OVA to be announced soon.

1. cos says:

I’m off, hoping for the OVA to be announced soon.>>>I’m hoping more for a second season since Higurashi has still a lot of material,and the big delay between each OVA will be painful for a show like Higurashi.
    Still if you are impatient,there is a blog who has begun translation of Arc 7 but I can’t remember which…

2. psgels psgels says:

If there’ll be enough material, a second season definitely is needed. I’m not sure whether the last two arcs have enough material for that, but it’s indeed quite possible to do it.

3. Kamen says:

You forget that though there may only be two more arcs from the original games, there are still the three arcs from the new PS2 game which also contains the True End since Matsuriyabashi-hen is only the good end. I think that if they use this material than there would be more than enough for a second season.

4. Dookers says:

What happened in Keiichi’s past? *wants some spoilerz*

And how old are Keiichi and Rena? My guess is around 14 or 15, 13ish at the youngest, 15 or 16 at the oldest. Wikipedia didn’t say how old either one is, not even in Japanese Wikipedia. *curious*

5. psgels psgels says:

Well, [SPOILER] when he was young, Keiichi was a rather annoying brat. At one point, he discovered a toy gun that shot these plastic balls, at considerable speeds, and he started to attack random people with it, just for fun. Though the gun was mostly harmless, at one point he hit a little girl in the eye with it, and she was screaming like she was in great pain. He then ran away, and confessed to his father later, who beat him up. For more detail. you can go to the TIPS-topic on the animesuki-forums, becuase my memory is a bit fuzzy about this one.

@Niello: Aside from your #1 (which ưe'll agree to disagree here), it's a nice set of shows you're follwing this season. Did you watch Violet Evergarden first episode thou and how did you think about it?
Great. Now I can't even send message here through my laptop.
@Kaiser: i think it's the same issue with kisscartoon. The original site was shut down sometimes ago, and now there are plenty of Kisscartoon's fake domains that are annoying as hell
@Mario: its back up now though.
@Mario: Its front page has server issues from time to time sometimes for hours.
I just read some manga on kissmanga a week ago, is the site down already?
Niello
Well to be fair batoto is down because of the site owner personal reason.
So Mangahere, mangachapter, baoto, animea seem to be gone and kissmangas front page is down , mangafox is slow, whats next to go down....
Niello
I don't currently see an anime this season that really stands out from the others. Right now if I have to rank them
1) Miira no kaikata
2) Kokkoku
3) Sora yori mo tooi basho
4) Koi wa ameagari no you ni
5) Takagi-san.
Not counting Devilman Crybaby since it's already finished.
Niello
@Eoghan I love Urobuchi and still find the Godzilla film weak.
I just looked through the nominations for the Crunchyroll Anime Awards and to my surprise, it's a pretty solid lineups. Find myself agreeing with most of their choices there
Actually forgot about it.
I don't know why you don't just read kara no shoujo 2 instead.
And Himawari is actually boring me. It's proving difficult to push myself though just to see where the point that makes it highly regarded comes in.
@Aidan: In the end I was pretty much curious about it.
Yep, that's it. Gonna stop discord displaying what I play from now on. It's weird when people comment on it.
Now my current rankings: 1. Devilman
2.Junji itou
3. sangatsu
4. Cardcaptor sakura
5. Pop team
6. Evergarden.
*Aidan
I'm joking obviously, but I am surprised to see you playing Himawari Aiden.
Oh Aidan you and your lolicon visual novel you =P
@Alonaria: Shin Godzilla had the evolving godzilla thing and that freaky ass final shot too, it also justified itself quite well i think by showing how relevent he is today, given the nuclear thing and that it drew on the Fukushima incident essentially.
@Alonaria: Thats a far better and shorter way of putting it than I.
Alonaria
I wish I'd just waited for the other parts of the Godzilla movie trilogy to be released. As it is, I'm just going to remember it as "that incomplete movie." And the character designs kind of blurred together for me, which was really disorienting.
Oh psgels is back
But I've seen other Godzilla things so I pretty much was supposed to see this anyway.
Or you know you could always take what I said with a pinch of salt, because you know....I don't get on with Urobutcher.
The idea behind it is definately cool and a different spin for the franchise though.
Maybe I was held back a bit by the cgi or the mediorce voice acting.
But I'd need to see its followup before properly assessing it.
Godzilla often makes for silly films, but lke alot of silly older films the silliness and seriousness combine without clashing, this one is too Poe faced .
I saw that Godzilla anime film, I'd describe it as watchable in parts but far too caught up in setup mode and an unlikeable protaganist , it could go somewhere with what it raised at the start but this is an example of a first film in a trilogy that suffers from being unable to currently stand on its own.
I generally feel that Itou's stories have a winning track record but theres exceptions, Uzumaki and Gyo in manga form struggle toward the end and the first episode story the anime chose to adapt is, while fun one of the weaker offerings.
Alonaria
Honestly, the shorter stories have been more effective at getting a reaction out of me, though. I actually didn't really enjoy the first episode's first story, mostly because I found the MC too obnoxious. :.D Maybe because my younger brother chased me with a bug once and it was really unpleasant. XD
@Anon: It wasn't just it coming out of her mouth, but when they were stamping on them too.
@Kaiser: Yah, I was horrified for like 5 seconds but the other characters made me crack up. :.D
Although it was mixed in with laughing my ass of eventually.
Of all the Itou stories to be un-nerved by, its the second half of this third episode oddly that does it for me and I never get uncomfortable during anything .
@Anon, We are working on it.
Are you planning on making a top anime of 2017 list?
Yeah Mash is one of the few good ones it seems.
Oh damn, good that you remind me, I didn't pick anything yet. But I guess I will go with Altera, considering that some of them don't look that good and I own her anyway. Would have wanted the Scat one but the drawing looks weird.
Which Bond CE did you pick for the 2 mill? I went with the Mash one. Only only whose artwork I liked.
Might settle for making Bryn my endgame lancer though.
As I said in my Apocrypha post, I have no interest in any version of Jeanne. My top priorities for my endgame team is Isekander, Scathach and assassin Shiki. And Shiki is a welfare so only need to worry about the other two.
Yeah, I was considering to keep rolling for the new 4* at first but I really want Jeanne Alter and she's coming soon.
@Amagi, I tried rolling for Karna and got nothing. Though I think Bryn is better. I plan on rolling one more time with the saint quartz we are getting to try for NP2. Though we do have the valintines event coming.
@Aidan: Same here, just got Brynhildr. Even though I already got Karna last month. But I wanted her, nice design, finally a single-targed 5* and she's even one of the few servants related to my country.
@SuperMario. The contemplation of the death of humanity, and the loneliness, both were very disturbing to me. Kinda like thinking of my grave.
YANDERE GET. Bryn's mine baby.
Gonna try rolling for Brynhildr tomorrow. Bit annoyed they chose to translate it as Brynhild. I mean it's not incorrect but her name is far more recognisable as Brynhildr
@Amagi, The grind wasn't that bad for me. Mordred carried me for it. Though I managed to get Siegfried in the gacha despite not being on rate up. I admit that the event was rather lackluster. Story wasn't that fun and the whole saber restriction was a pain. Also gonna take me a while to readjust to regular damage.
Man that FGO Saber Wars event was annoying. I am happy finally I have 2 mio. altrium now and am done with it.
Reminder that netflix Godzilla anime is later today.
Damn I didn't noticed that ankle band of the little demon from the intro scene of FranXX 01, now I feel stupid.
Yuasa is great! Ping pong and Tatami Galaxy are still some of my favorites
Oh fuck, the lead singer of the Cranberries passed away. I literally just listened to their music yesterday. Damnn, sad news
@Kaiser; thanks for considering me but I believe Wooper is much more a Yuasa's fan than I am
Far out!!!
SuperWooper
Yuasa will be answering questions on Reddit's anime board on the 20th.
@Niello: what do you mean regarding Yuasa?
@Travlos: I agree that Girls Last Tour is a special little gem, but in what ways it's disturbing?
Niello
Holy cow, Masaaki Yuasa AMA!! What magic is this?
Niello
Meawhile, Japan took a different approach and we ends up with a bunch of .hack rehash and diving more and more into escapism. Until we eventually got isekai and then it just spiraled into a sea of mediocrity.
Niello
While that opened its own can of worms, at least it opens up element about making ends meet, managing irl relationships, earning extra income for a poor family, getting cheated etc.
Niello
in the characters real life just fine. Something more a long the line of Net-juu but more technologically advanced. And I would say that plenty of those have been superior to Japanese online game and isekai story shenanigans. That said, it doesn't mean that those don't have their own kind of traps they usually fall in. A bunch of those instead focus on the aspect of making money off of games.
Niello
...Getting stuck in a virtual reality game and being transport to another world that happens to be like a game are completely different though. I don't know what is it with Japan and getting stuck in game plots considering that there are loads of other game-base Asian novels that came before it that manage story lines where they manage to tell compelling stories in game while balancing what happen
I finally finished Girls Last Tour. What a profound, fluffy and disturbing masterpiece. Bravo.
Yeah. I feel the world swap is pretty much pointless when real life isn't relevant anymore. It's just a stupid as hell excuse to combine fantasy wish fullfilment with self-inserts, which is why these main characters tend to be 29 by now, just like the big part of the otaku community.
Of those you listed, no, I dont think they get explained? I mean, SAO did, but I dont think that falls into your category.

Thats why I liked .hack//sign over alot of more modern game Isekai. Also .hack//sign did explain what happened to Tsukasa.
Considering how bad most of these are I wouldn't wonder if they wouldn't even bother with an explanation and just end it with the characters being happy in that game world and that's it. Or magic and the whole harem gets transported into reality at the end because power of love and such.
I have no problem with a sci-fi fantasy mix, I liked .hack//sign for example, but it annoys me that such an incredibly bizarre situation gets never explained. Or maybe it will but it never happened so far because none of these LNs was ever finished and concluded yet. I just wish to know how they explain that.
I mean all those shows in which the character just finds himself stuck in a real world that's (coincidentally?) the same as the game he recently played. Be it Overlord, Death March, Log Horizon or the 300 other series with that premise.
Some thing that always bothered me about game isekai for which I never got an answer so far: did any of those series ever end and/or explain how the warp has happened and why the MC is in the game? - Not talking about .hack, SAO and such where the action of getting trapped is part of the premise
Niel
@Eoghan - Btw, Kokkoku isn't a time travel. it's stasis, apparently. Looks very promising so far. Though if I am to trust the manga score, it's shit.
Niel
But is Toradora really slice of life? As far as I can see it's straight up romance.
And Mario, ill rag on SOL all I want! :P

Wooper, its true good shows transcend genre, as there are still some like Toradora I like, but those are exceptions that prove the rule so to speak.
@Niel, yeah I base my potential % on the odds something gets/stays good.
I am of similar mindset about Franxx. I want it to get better but I don't really see it doing so. Unless the other characters get a majority personality boost or the MC stops being a plank.
Niel
XD
I confess....I only sat through just over half an episode of aldonoah.
Niel
Since it's Trigger, I will give the benefit of the doubt. I'm just very skeptical about this whole formula.
Niel
The way I can see this series improving is through world building. And if other aspects are going to improve too, it's going to revolve around that.
Niel
It leaves about as much impression on me as much as the first episode of Aldnoah did, and I dropped that one straight away. The character chemistry doesn't look like it will go places that's not cliche. The gimmick doesn't seem like it has much potential either.
Niel
So you're all betting it on "this is going to get better". I mean, I hope it gets better. Though right now this feels more Kiznaiver than Kill la Kill or LWA.
I'd nominate Mario to do the devilman review as he's the most immediate Yuasa fan to do it and Bam is too awol to write it.
The cute girl shows just bleed and blend in my mind now, same with the isekai shows.
Devilman, my show of the season, unless after the rain ends up having some emotional wallop.
So for me its looking like: Junji itou, Cardcaptor sakura, keeping up with sangatsu, wait and see on amegari . Not watching a time travel or trigger show and I remain unable to sit through Mahoutsukai .
The story itself is generic so far but so are most Trigger series at the beginning so not sure. Maybe it will stay weak, but in general I prefer series that start with the weaker episodes and get better and better over time over the many series that use up all of their budget and trump cards in the first episode and drag on after that.
I really love Trigger's esthetics and their characters. I am happy they're more often involved in non-trigger-only productions because I honestly think that most of the stuff I enjoyed about FranXX was heavily influenced by them.
@Nielo: Franxx's first ep was stellar for me. Storywise, it's lackluster (and I see the similar in tropes between this and Beatless) but production-wise it's excellent
I think I just keep watching it on a weekly basis. Still trippy as hell
Okay, I just watched second episode of Devilman Crybaby and it's still pretty good.
Nielo
By the way, what's up with Darling in the Franxx? I thought it's a very weak first episode.
Nielo
@Lenlo: Slice of life isn't my thing either, and I usually avoid series set in high school.
Nielo
@SuperMario: Takagi-san is cute, I'll admit that, but since I already read the manga it's not new to me. Sora Yori is good, but it's not particularly cute. I found Hakumei to Mikochi and Yuru Camp very boring. Haven't got the chance to watch Mitsuboshi Colors or Gakuen Babysisters but I don't think they could be more cute than Mii-kun.
SuperWooper
HOT TAKE: Genre is irrelevant. What matters is whether a show is good.
Don't knock off MY genre Lenlo. It's one of the reason I got into anime in the first place :)
Im not saying it doesn't do what it sets out to. I just don't think what it sets out to do is all that... great.
@Niello, Slice of Life was never my Genre in the first place :/ I typically avoid them. I have my own life to deal with and already graduated high school, why would I want to deal with a melodramatic anime highschool, is my line of thought.
@Niello: okay, let's see:Takagi-san (the titular character), Mitsuboshi Colors, Gakuen Babysisters (Toddlers!!), Hakumei to Milochi (tiny girls) and two more slightly more mature but equally cute: Sora Yori and Yuru Camp's casts
Nielllo
@SuperMario: I'm sure this is where our definition of "cute" parts way, but I'll ask anyway, what are those 5 shows?
@Niello: seems so because I can eaisily pick 5 more shows that are cuter, and better than Mummy this season ;)
Nielllo
...So I suppose I'm the only one who's kinda bored out by a lot of the slice of life shows that's trying to be cute this season and only perked up by the Mummy anime because it's actually do what it's meant to do and be legit cute.
I am interested in Koi, but still have concern about the relationship itself.

@Vonter, the mummy anime would be better as short vignettes together I feel.
Koi amegari is surprisingly tasteful, subdued and pretty.
*to where
Try as I might, my love of kyoani tv anime has largely evaporated did where I no longer want to bother at this stage, I'll just wait and see. I'll just stay quiet on the franxx anime, theres little value in me trying to get through a trigger work at this point.
I get the exact same feeling with Takagi-san. It's pretty good on what it does but 20 minutes of the same thing for a whole season doesn't sound that promising
The chibi mummy anime
It's a shame it isn't a shorter 10 or 5 minute series, I think that format would make it shine more, since it does what it's trying to do.
Speaking of it, I liked the second episode of Kokkuko or whatever the name is even more than the first one.
I really have a problem with all these shows that rely on one single thing, joke, shenanigan or whatever. Be it something cute, some certain kind of interactiong or whatever. It doesn't matter how good it is it will bore me with episode 2.
Like, yeah, the mummy was cute. But the cute became rote/bland really quick. There has to be more than "cute" to be worth watching for more than a single episode to me.
@Niello, I was harsh because its not aimed at me. I wanted to drop it 5 minutes in, kept up for the post, then was thankful it was over. There wasnt anything overtly bad about it. Its just there was nothing good either.
To be fair it's not as if we are lacking cute in this season.
In fact it's in danger of inflation.
@Niello: yes, the mummy is cute, the show is cute but beside that it's pretty mediocre. That show in particular is the only show that I have the damnest time to give it a potential rating.
Niello
It's not even down because of legal reasons, since the site pull down contents that are lincensed. It's down cause it's too much for the site owner to manage. Much of it also have to do with too many bots, which comes back to how a lot of other sites are relying on batoto.
Niello
@Masky: Not enough manga titles are getting translated. Batoto is the site scanlation groups basically rely on, and where other aggregation sites pull their content from. No batoto no obscure titles, a big blow to small scantation groups and one big manga/scanlator community down.
Niello
Why are you guys so harsh on the mummy show? It's so darn cute. Give it some credit. If a comedy show can be good because it does comedy well I don't see why a show ike Mummy can't be good if it can make people go "aww".
I don't really know why that is the case, maybe marketing budget and UI friendliness when done right? :P
Eh, wouldn't say it will kill manga industry. I mean, more and more official methods of reading manga online is starting to pop up and legit channels to pay to get access to manga can surprisingly enough harm free channels to get manga.
Anyway, I do find it funny how how the isekai character dies can be so meaningless that is joke in most of them
Niello
Batoto is going down, how this affect the manga reading is going to be interesting. Hope it's not slowly dying.
(at least that one, besides forgetting to introduce what the heck is gimmick besides generickness, acknowledged how most of otaku mcs shouldn't erally want to get transferred to fantasy world since they never get to see how their favourite mangas end :P )
Anyhoo, it gets annoying since its not just isekai being cliche, sometimes is just them being kind of badly written(or at least adapted to manga). Like, I found one new isekai today, but I have no idea what its gimmick is(from what I understood, its that "cute companion" that character gets is hideously op because mc didn't spefy cute girl when he asked god manager dude for cute companion)
Slime one is one of better from the more generic ones weirdly enough :P I mean I still wouldn't call it good, but at least MC character isn't god tier, just top tier and it has sort of village building simulation feel to it. Plus at least naming things giving monsters more powers is something funny regarding jrpg mechanics
Or alternatively the car was on a boat with the character or parents in it and the boat and car were hit by a falling plane lol
Its always "car accident" that sends the characters to another world or in harem cases "Lost parents due to car crash", for christs sake doesn't anyone die in out of control plane or speedboat crashes anymore, at least make it a motorbike....
Nayrael
Ah sorry, should probably not have touched the colors...
Nayrael
Trust me, Isekai is better when it doesn't try to be imaginative. When it tries to be original then... Isekai with a Smartphone... Isekai where the MC turns into a Slime... and my favorite: Isekai where the MC became a Hot Spring popular with sexy girls.
Assuming "new" things can happen under the sun
Anyhoo, I do wonder what the heck will be next "popular genre trope that will become so overused cliche that everyone groans whenever show uses it even if its actually good show"
Like, seriously you could do really interesting story variant on isekai with that if done right. Suddenly becoming characters you have roleplayed would be trippy as hell espicially if one of characters went really into detail with backstory while one of them is just "Bob the fighter, he likes fighting" and has to deal with what happens when you assume life of such a person
But I wouldn't honestly be surprised because of my anger issues related to amount of unimaginative isekai :P Though I guess trpg based one would be more imaginative in comparison
I'd assume not since I assume tabletop rpgs are much more niche than jrpgs in japan
So has anyone yet done isekai where guys getting transferred were playing trpg? :P
quite happy with most recent Attack of Titan manga chapter.
Alright, one more impression post to go before we really get on to new season
@Kaiser: yep, I just fixed it. Thank you
*than just the reviewers names
A slight problem with the coding there in the newest impression, showing code gobbledeegook rather than the reviewers names above their impressions.
@Mario: I'm seeing it on 2nd of February.
@Mario: Late screeners generally leak shortly after the uk release, so maybe early Febbruary it'll be online?
@Kaiser: yep, Phantom Thread. Could be Daniel Day Lewis's final performance. Is it available online already?
@Mario: Did you know that Paul Thomas Anderso8n has a new film coming out? Also I found out there is a Polish semi-knockoff of purple rose of cairo.
Awesome, just got myself an invite to a secret private torrent site =)

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 15 [There is no place like home]

Welcome to another week of Mahoutsukai no Yome. This week continues Chise’s bad relationship with water, Elias’s with Fae and gives Silky a history. Lets jump in! To start off, I want to talk about the best part of this episode, that being Silky’s history and alone time. For the longest time Silky was a […]

After the Rain – 02 [Rain Drops on Green Leaves]

It has been exactly a year since I last blogged you, noitaminA shows, and this time again it’s another romance drama. Unlike Scum’s Wish last year, however, Ameagari has one simple premise, but it executes the idea with such grace. This second episode is even stronger than the first, setting the stepping stone for Tachibana […]

Violet Evergarden – 02 [Never Coming Back]

I’m thankful that this second episode plays out much quieter and more subtle than the first, because I’m not a fan at all with the grandeur approach of the first episode. This makes the second week of Violet slightly better than last week, but I still find myself not totally satisfied with the whole experience. […]

Kokkoku – 2 [The Second Moment]

Hello and welcome to the 2018 Winter season! This time, we have an interesting little time-based drama called Kokkoku. It has mystery, it has cults, it has dead-beat parents and apparent god-like beings. Lets jump in! To start, a quick blurb about our characters. Personally, I like them so far. They are all flawed and imperfect […]

A Place Further than the Universe – 03 [The Follow Backs Don’t Stop]

“I could just die right now” That line, spoken by our new member, Yuzuki, bookends this week’s Universe. It marks the shift in the new girl’s character growth. Last week, the Expedition girls mentioned they have a plan to raise fund, right? Turns out it’s not the mother, but the young girl herself, is used […]

Junji Ito Collection – 02[Fashion Model, Long Dreams]

After the first episode started off as a black comedy, I was worried that this series may suffer the same problem as Kino’s Journey in that the weaker stories in his work would be chosen for adaption. Lucky this does not appear to be the case but there is another problem which is not quite […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 13/14 [East, West, Homes Best]/[Looks breed love]

Hello and welcome to the new year! New Year, a new Cour for Mahoutsukai no Yome, this time with slightly more plot. These past two weeks have been a bumpy ride of Mahoutsukai, with plenty to talk about. So let’s jump in! To start off, the new OP is terrible. The music isn’t as good […]

A Place Further than the Universe – 02 [Kabukicho Fremantle]

I’m glad that this second episode addresses straight out all my worries from the first episode: the actual implementation to make that trip a reality, because boy, it’s no simple matter. Universe apparently does its research, telling us exactly places they need to go, the initial trip ahead and the amount of money they need […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 33/34 [Where the Sun Shines…Light]

It’s been three weeks since my last 3-gatsu post, a gap owed in part to the break the show took around New Years’. Perhaps it’s because of all that time away from the series, or maybe it’s due to the massive difference between these two episodes, but I had a tough time connecting with the […]

In This Corner of the World (2016) Movie Review – 90/100

In this Corner of the World (for the purpose of this review, I’ll refer it as “Corner”), is the truest slice of life drama if you ever encounter one, in that it’s a slice into an ordinary life of an ordinary girl during the War period. That speaks into the very first strength of Corner, […]

Houseki no Kuni (Fall 2017) Review – 92/100

Make no mistake, Houseki no Kuni is the most ambitious anime project of the year. Not only because it’s an entirely CG project (and make a damn good use of it, mind you), or because of its narrative scope that at once strange, grand and beauty, but also in its very conception in their production […]

Fate/Apocrypha Anime Review – 64/100

I was quite excited for Apocrypha and in the so called year of Fate adaptations, it looked to be the crown jewel. Sadly, partly due to lacking adaption and the source lacking in areas, this anime turned out to be not quite the jewel I thought it would be. It’s hard to call this a […]

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World Anime Review – 73/100

One of the surprises of the year was to see the return of Kino’s Journey, a very well regarded and more unique anime among those deemed classic. Many, myself included, were very much looking forward to the return of Kino and her talking Motorrad. Though due to some factors this series doesn’t quite live up […]

Girls’ Last Tour (Fall 2017) Review – 86/100

Girls’ Last Tour falls within my favorite new trend that emerging the anime medium over the last decade: a dark moe anime. Set in a post-apocalyptic world where the human race has almost extinct, our two girls wandering around the world in their kettenkrad looking for food and shelter. If it sounds a bit bleak […]

Two tales of War: Reviewing The Heroic Legend of Arslan and Altair: A Record of Battles

It would not be an exaggeration to say that my favorite type of anime is the political-military epic. This comes partly out of my profession, I study war and politics, but also my hobby, as military and political history is something I enjoy. When it comes to anime there is a clear sub-category that can […]

The Night is Short, Walk On Girl (2017) Movie Review – 92.5/100

“How many decades have passed since our drinking contest?” “It hasn’t been that long. It was only a few hours ago, this very night!” That gap in time perceiving plays a significant role in Night is Short. For you see, it all depends on how our perception of the surroundings and time itself can affect […]

Ballroom e Youkoso Review – 65/100

In the weeks leading up to the summer 2017 season, Ballroom e Youkoso was one of the most buzzed-about new series. Produced by the Production I.G. team responsible for the smash hit Haikyuu!!, and set to air on Amazon’s brand new Anime Strike service, the series had no shortage of promotion or hype behind it. […]

Inuyashiki Review – 80/100

Do you know what the average age of an anime protagonist is? Neither do I, but I’d wager its in the upper teens. For obvious reasons, most anime focus on high school and have high school aged protagonists with similarly aged problems. Its not often that we get a good older main character, who has […]