Posted by psgels on 26 September 2006 with categories: Simoun

Image Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

And so, I’m afraid to say it, but Simoun has come to an end. And it certainly has been one of the most unique endings ever. It was nothing that could have blown me off my chair, but instead, this ending did leave me with a warm, fuzzy feeling. I can happily say that this ending succeeded. Still, the ending was puzzling, and there are a small number of questions left unanswered.

Anyway, the episode takes place a few years in the future, in order to show what happened to each of the members of the chor tempest. Extra focus is put on Limone and we also see a flashback of what happened with Aaeru and Neviriru before they got to perform their Emerald Ri Maajon.

What happened to Aaeru and Neviriru afterwards wasn’t really spectacular. They headed off, a spokesman of the Highlands sends some Simoun to retrieve them, though the priestesses have no intention of capturing them. They perform the Emerald Ri Maajon, and disappear. It’s not the huge spectacle with Limone and Dominüra. Still, the fact that the only scenes we see of them is at the end of the episode, in which they’re dancing in the debris of the Arcus Prima does make you wonder what happened with them afterwards. It’s one of the few unanswered questions. I’m suspecting that they travelled a lot of different worlds.

Surprisingly, we never get to see Amuria. We never know what happened to her. Same with Mamiina’s body. She’s been shot down. What happened to it? Those are the only bad points of this episode.

Limone was awesome in this episode. She looks beautiful when she’s grown up, and it seems that her arrival triggered other people of her age to try flying with the Simoun as well. We never find out whether she’s in the future, or in the past. If I had to guess, it’s the future. Don’t know why. Dominüra hasn’t been willing to fly the Simoun ever since she arrived in this timezone. Limone, however, wants to fly again, though not if it means forcing her will onto Dominüra. She’s been bothered by quite an amitious Sybilla, who aims to be paired with Limone, but Limone refuses to fly with anyone other than her beloved pair. How cute. The last scene we see of them is Dominüra, who finally agrees to fly again. She and Limone happily walk off, while Limone casted off the same strange stuff Onashia did. Does this mean what I think it means?

Next up, the characters who remained in the current world. First up: Morinasu. She now works as a female employee under Wauf. She’s been married with Waporifu, and she’s pregnant of her second child now.

Wauf also got a little daughter. The identity of mother is never mentioned. But it does seem clear that he has a very strong bond with both Morinasu and his daughter. He was very cute to see. I also loved him as a minor character in the series.

Remember Eri? Well, of course, he had to end up somewhere as well. He renamed himself to Erifu, and works at the same place as Morinasu and Wauf. It seems that he pilots Simire, in order to transport goods from one place to another. He’s been exceptionally busy, as it seems that the highlands and the archipelago are going into war.

Next up, Paraietta. Talk about character growth. I think that she, along with Dominüra and Mamiina changed the most, out of all of the characters in the series. She’s just so laid back now. She has really learned not to worry so much. She also put her time into a very noble job: providing a home for children who have lost their parents. Surprisingly enough, she ended up along with Rodoreamon.

Rodoreamon seems to have decided to take the management of Paraietta’s orphan home. It seems that they’ve got some problems with the upcoming war. She’s a bit worried, but determined as well. Also a HUGE difference with the way she was before.

Kaimu and Aruti decided to live together after all. After they grew up, they just returned to their original home, in order to spend their days quietly. Cute, very cute. ^_^

Yun still is at the spring, though she did decide to choose her gender. In the end, she became a female. Right now, she’s still standing at the spring, devoting her entire life to changing genders. In a way, that’s really sad. But she did choose for it. I remember noting that Jun was a tough nut to crack, back when she was just 100% objectivity. Well, in the end, she definitely had her moment of glory.

Furoe changed the most in terms of appearance. But that’s only logical, as she had the most feminine looks of the entire cast, and she suddenly switched to being a male. He named himself Furoefu. He’s been working as a farmer, right next to the debris that was once the mighty Arcus Prima. I can imagine that it works quite nostalgic. He even visits it some times, on a Helios Motores-powered boat.

Vyura (or Vyurafu) looks so cool as a man. He’s got a really laid-back attitude. And it seems that he’ll be fighting on the side of the enemy. I think that’s one of the messages of this final episode. “Ah well, that’s life.”

Anubitufu and Guraghief look so totally badass, in their new outfits. ^^;

And of course, I knew it was coming when around the final moments of the episode, the creators decided to show a few last shot of the ruins of the Arcus Prima. It really had it coming, and indeed. It’s a perfect way for a finale. We first see Aaeru and Neviriru dancing a bit, symbolizing the journeys they made. Then we switch to one of the hallways, in which Paraietta was doodling on the walls, two episodes ago.

Really, she was more enthusiastic than I thought she was. She made an incredibly cute chibi-drawing of every single Simoun Sybilla. That was so cute to see. A fitting ending for such an awesome series.

1. cos says:

Surprisingly, we never get to see Amuria. We never know what happened to her. Same with Mamiina’s body. She’s been shot down. What happened to it?>>No,she stayed a maiden.She just grew up a little.

Anyway it was truly a great ending for a great show,I’m so sad Simoun ended…

2. cos says:

Strange a portion of my text was deleted.

To clarify the previous post I was just saying that Yun didn’t become a woman and stayed a maiden.
    As for Mamina’s body it was found by enemy priestess after the crash,so it may have been properly buried.
    I also always thought that Amuria died on first ep,after all she couldn’t have been time-traveled with an incomplete remergion + she had her cockpit open when the incident occurred.

3. Futaba-chan says:

According to the staff blog, Wauf married Ai, who was Vyura’s pair from Chor Rubor, and who was with her when she came to the Messis.

4. psgels psgels says:

Cos: Heh, I still would have love to see Amuria’s fate comfirmed. She did disappear, which suggests that she went somewhere, but the Emerald Ri Maajon failed, suggesting that her body was taken by Tempus Patiem, or something in that direction.

Futaba: I think I know who you’re talking about. It’s surprising, as their relationship never really was developed. I think that’s why the creators decided not to show her identity.

5. Solaris says:

This was the most original show i saw recently. Maybe it’s a bit too yury at the first sight and many people could be scared by that.
    If you endure this first shock you find many good and not easy themes to be developed very cleverly: the fall from deity, the reasons of war seen from the point of view of the “villanin”, the coming of age of the children who must face war and suffering, the theme of time/space paradox end much more.

I liked a lot all the caracters and was very sad when Mamiina died. My fav char is Floe (what a shock when she choose to become a man! I didn’t expect it at all). I disliked Aareu a bit as she’s too rough and unpolite. (now i know many people will shoot at me ^^”).

To answer the question of the other users of the forum, here’s my personal interpretation:
    >what happened to Amuria?
    Sad to say it, but she’s OUT, KAPUTT, burned down ecc ecc… in other words dead :p
    >and mamiina’s body
    it was shot on purpouse by the “enemy” sybillae so that mamiina could rest in a the field of flowers and reamain the noble sybilla she deserved to be, instead of being buried in her hometown as a normal citizen.
    >Aaeru and Nevril ended far in the future dancing in the relic of the Arcus Primae
    I’m not sure of this: the dance seemed to me a recall of the old times as Floef goes away.
    In the last scene with Limone (niiice girl she became :Q__) she happened to see a simoun coming down from the sky…
    More about Linone and Dominura… i’m not sure Limone was leaving “particles” behind, but Dominura was indeed. She also had problems with her arm in the preceeding scene no? Moreover isn’t Dominura the real identity of Onashia? Onashia told Yun she’s the last survivor of Chor Dextra, but we know that dominura is from chor Dextra as well! What Dominura saw in the empty Helix of the simoun couldn’t be her “future” self as onashia?

6. psgels psgels says:

I actually liked Aaeru a lot, simply because her inpoliteness was so much different from the usual collection of brats who get featured in other anime. She indeed started out annoying, but when she started growing and developing her character, I easily became a fan of her. ^^;

And Dominüra being Onashia is an interesting theory. You could be right, actually, though it’s been a bit too long ago since I saw this anime.

7. Solaris says:

Sorry if i revive this old threads.
    Well i (yet) can’t see anime as they are spoken in japanese.
    Moreover i am still collecting last year’s fansub and still haven’t even started collecting this very last season here!
    So pls forgive me.
    I am only watching Sola (for a simple matter of name, as it reminds of my own nick :p)

8. Low_Lite says:

Oh, yeah, that’s the greatest end I’ve seen since months…I’ve watched several mangas this year, and all the ends let me disapointed…So I thought Simoun’s end wouldn’t be so well, so given-answers, and I was plaesantly surprised. Knowwing much about the character’s after they left their Sibyllae’s role. Also the suggestions about Aeru and Neviril…
    This anime is great, I thought it was a little bit excessive at the beggining when I saw Sibyllaes kissing before flying, but when the story came to the point of travelling through time and space…It really becomes great, dreaming and make spectator thinking a lot…
    What to say but this anime is the greater I saw since a long long time…Concepts about war, life, religion, becoming an adult (or choose not to become it entirely),possibilities of traveling into several dimensions are well exposed here, and it makes the story more realistic that a lot of other. I think also we can easily identify ourselves in some character and our world in the one of Simoun.
    And have you ever heard or red about ‘black hole’? Some dreamers said that if a humanbeing could go through one of them, he may arrive into another dimension. And the black fuul circle which is on the top of the emerald rii-maajon made me think about a black hole.
    An anime which makes people think about lot of things, human condition, the way how the world is turning… ^_O

9. Low_Lite says:

And i’ve forbidden to say, good article, I haven’t red yet such a good summary and opinion about Simoun… ^^

10. changeup says:

Just need to clarify one thing. Dominura and Limone have travelled to the past. Actually, they are the ones who originally taught the people about how to fly a Simoun in the past, so that the whole story really starts from there. A typical time loop of causality…

11. Joseph Saunders, Jr. says:

Paraieta’s nursery had both girls and boys playing side by side. Remember, this planet is single gender only..so maybe one of our time-traveling pairs were able to change society from female only births to male and female births. No visits to the Spring..or..surgeries at birth in some countries is needed anymore.

12. zacinabox says:

I think everybody hit the nail on everyone’s wrap up, EXCEPT for Dominura’s..

My theory is this:

She is in fact more than likely Onashia. It is wise to say this is what she probably saw in the simoun too. (However we can’t rule out the possibility that it was someone else from Chor Dextra. Yes Dominura was said to be the last “survivor” but since up until late in the game it wasn’t really said that people didn’t die creating the time hole, perhaps a few of those maidens did in point of fact get the same fate. So the true identity of Onashia may not be Dominura so much as someone in her old company. However, to keep with the other theory:

If we look back to what (current Onashia/Dominura) said to Yuna, it was: She neither went to another world, NOR did she become an eternal maiden. This leads me to believe that Dominura stayed in the current world where her and Limone fell, and Limone left to become an eternal maiden herself to venture into other worlds.

I think the ending when Dominura actually (at the last minute) came to Limone, signifies that she changed her own future! And the particles were not symbolic of what she would become, but symbolic of what she was going to change about her own impending fate by deciding to fly with Limone after all.

13. Jared says:

Well, I don’t have much to add. I just wanted to say that this was probably one of the most enjoyable shows I have had the pleasure of watching. It was just beautiful. And… Well, the ending gave me that happy/sad feeling which comes from knowing that the show is over and ‘that’s all, folks!’ But it isn’t a bad feeling. Not really. =)

14. synkronized says:

Compared to a show like Ano Hi Mita Hana, Simoun actually delivered the dealing with coming of age and death a lot better. Ano Hi was solid but this show avoided the obnoxious over acting that kills drama laiden shows. It also delivered a very engaging premise with a lot of different threads that actually worked out well.

I do wish they used a different character style though. The rounded, soft looks of all the characters doesn’t jive well with me.

15. In the end did Yun become a woman? How do we know this?

16. chasbanner says:

The tale begins with the dramatic “Yoen Naru Kizuna no Hibiki”. Improvising a dashing invitation, a solitary accordion proffers its hand to its audience with a flourish. The offer is irresistible. In no time at all, the surroundings are illuminated by a heated tango that is colored with the slightest shade of mystery. Suavely charismatic, the accordion is then joined by its partner, a cello, and the two intertwine in a beautifully impassioned duet. The accordion’s invitation to dance is a portal to an entirely different world – a world where the colors are brighter and passions run high.

Customize
Hoping things change when the first episodes start airing of the new anime season.
Things have gotten quiet here. I plan on getting my Mob psycho review up today. I have to say that the next season doesn't interest me very much. There's some great stuff coming next year but the fall is looking pretty...meh.
Finally got around to watching Stranger Things. Good show, I like the nostalgic way they tell the story though at times its too Spielberg/King. I admit that I can't say I was blown away by it. It's good and I will be watching the second season. But it's a tad.. predictable. Those child actors did a great job though.
@Bam I'm not certain the email I have is one you actually use, so here it is: (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QWnGcuVQuXfOJuh80SDgtiZH4X6Zya_XEG2ZOM6u-5k/edit?usp=sharing)
It's pathetic right now, I'm sorting out my arrangements for Seoul first.
@Bam I'll send you the itinerary in a few hours. Appreciate the offer for guides but I'll decline on that, otherwise it wouldn't hurt to have additional contacts in japan. The person I'm traveling with is half Japanese, so I trust that we won't run into tourist traps.
It logged me out again. Oh well! That was me Bam
Anonymous207007
@Bam: the first time I've ever heard of Chinchilla. Sorry to hear about your pet. Don't feel bad about the late post, it's perfectly fine. After all, we all volunteer to contribute here, so no pressure on the timing. Just write whenever you feel like it really.
Bam
Can anybody else see these?
Bam
@K-off: right on m8, I'm excited for you. Email me your itinerary and I can not only recommend some spots that aren't just basic tourist-traps, but can also hook you up with some friends to take you around and show you what the real Japan is all about.
Bam
I was planning to release the posts just as scheduled, but my Chinchilla suddenly got ill, and given the exotic nature of such pets I've been in and out of dozens of veterinary clinics. Over a week later and $600 spend, the poor thing finally gave out. I've been pretty out of since it happened, but again sorry for just disappearing.
Bam
I am actually still breathing. Sorry again for the unceremonious absence.
@anon196168 I'm all ears for suggestions.
Anonymous196168
If youre going to japan maybe you could do something more unique than just taking pictures of locations? Plenty of those already on Google.
Noticing a server error showing up on the shoutbox there.
Good point, normal users generally just stay anono. ke69Vin?...69...really....that's just sad humor right there.
That was most definitely little Kevin as well. 9vinke6 is obviously an anagram.
@9Vinke6, I don't know what you are trying to share but it ain't an image. Deleting your comment as I don't want dodgy files on the site.
Are you kidding??!! Tokyo is amazing if you want excitement & you want to experience social life. But I agree go to Osaka. If tokyo is like Quebec then osaka is like toronto. More laid back
OPM was a shoe-in. It's showing very good success on Adult Swim on US TV and Viz is throwing big dollars to keep the gravy train rolling
One Punch Man season 2 was announced. Expected but most certainly welcome.
...now I need Re:Zero season 2.
CJayTiiii
Honestly, if you are going to Kyoto essentially no shrine is worth visiting in Tokyo because none of them are as nice as the ones in Kyoto and they are essentially all tourist traps.
If you guys insist I'll give Osaka serious consideration. But again I'd hate to gloss over Kyoto or Tokyo. But anyhow my 4 week stay in Seoul will be eternity compared to the Japan trip.
CJayTiii
Ikebukuro is probably used almost as much as shibuya? Specifically for durarara right around the station (east side) is used a lot. Kabuki-Cho in shinjuku is definitely used a lot but I couldn't tell you in what off the top of my head.
CJayTiii
Also as someone who lived in Kyoto and now lives in Tokyo, I would suggest spending as much time as possible in Kyoto as there is just so much stuff to do there. Tokyo there honestly really isn't that much stuff to do here other than going out to drink I feel. Lol also Osaka is only a 30 min train ride (about 5$ USD) from Kyoto so it's easy to go there for a couple hours
@Mario I'll be home by new years unfortunately, I'll have to settle for Christmas in tokyo.
@CJay Thanks, any suggestions for Tokyo? I'm trying to avoid cliché locations for anime-related scenery. Like Shibuya.
CJayTiii
For Kyoto, Tatami Galaxy is probably the best anime for side by side comparisons. Kamogawa river, Kiyamachi street, and shimogamo shrine are famous areas that pretty much constantly make appearances throughout the show.
@K-Off: Disney Tokyo? haha If it was me I've chosen somewhere more... locally. But who I am to judge as I celebrated last New Year Eve in Times Square, the most tourist spot of them all. But I really hope you can spend some time to go to some shrines for the New Year in Tokyo.
@Mario The person I'm travelling with wants to spend Christmas at Disney Tokyo, and unsurprisingly nearly all places will still be open, same as NYC. Christ, I'm more worried about my wallet.
@K-Off: Makes sense. I'd say better stick in one place for long days rather than short trips in several places. Even 10 days for those 2 places wouldn't be enough imo, well especially during Xmas since the streets will be busy and many places could be closed (I guess?)
@Mario It doesn't seem like I'll go to Osaka, the goal is to explore Kyoto and Tokyo and much as possible for a week and a half. If I can squeeze it in there I will, but that means spending less time in Kyoto and/or Tokyo. The bulk of my trip will be in Tokyo for now.
Yeah, Kenshin had a whole Kyoto act, but it was more historical anw and I feel it didn't explore the city that much (more of a ruined city)
Really, only uchoten Kazoku, tatami galaxy and durarara come to mind. Are you planning to go to Osaka as well? I heard from my friend Osaka is about an hour drive from Kyoto only.
@Anon174851 Ah good one.
@Mike Thanks. Durarara is a good suggestion, but I haven't watched Rurouni Kenshin.
Mike
@Kaiser Sure, the story doesn't do anything for me but it's not a waste of time.
@K-Off You can do pretty much anything in Tokyo I'll bet. Anime in general aside from shows like Durarara don't emphasize the setting very much... Kyoto is more interesting, rurouni kenshin is the first thing that comes to mind.
uchouten kazoku is a really good one set in kyoto!
Haven't heard of it. Anyways, do you guys have any suggestions for favorite anime series set in Kyoto or Tokyo? I'm planning my itinerary and the idea is to take a lot of side by side comparison pictures from their anime depictions to RL. I have YuruYuri, SYD, Detective Conan, and various KyoAni spots in mind, but my brain isn't remembering others.
I'm considering finding some War/military manga to read, has anyone read Gunka no balthazar? Is it worthwhile?
@Anon164960, They announced a second season for it so they ain't done with that trainwreck yet.
Gate
So Rewrite took the "Bad End" route. Interesting. Their choice, not the show of course which was a freaking mess from start to finish.
Ah, reminding me that I have not left Ireland since 2012 when I went to Rome. Although I have floated around the idea of maybe going to Slovakia.
@Mario Thanks, although I'll be working the whole time I'm at Seoul with sundays off. Expecting about 40-50 hours of work a week. Sucks that your trip got canned, in the Winter there's no place you'd want to be other than southern California.
Congrats K-Off. Hope you enjoy the trip. I myself originally planned to go to US on this December but now the plan got wrecked. Should be fun spending Xmas in Japan especially
Got my international drivers permit from AAA today, and it also looks like I'm stuck with over half the travel fees since I've signed myself off the agency plan. It's now official, I'm going to Seoul and then spending my christmas holidays in Tokyo. Been a long time since I left the country, last time was in 2011.
That was me Mario
@Masky: it wasn't, but Gui Niao did mention the pipe has multi-purpose functions: do far he uses the pipe to write, to create a hallucination smoke, to make an actual bushfire, to open the lock, now to be a sword-pipe. What's next? To be a wifi modem? to be a boomerang? to shapeshift into an umbrella?
So Thunderbolts Fantasy :D Totally called the pipe being a sword (assuming it wasn't shown earlier and I just forgot about it)
@Anon146321, typos are hard to avoid when you write fast. What's really important to is that the point gets across, which it did.
Medium not meduim
I wonder if trolls consider people explaining why their trolling is bad a successful trolling .-. I mean, my experience is that most of trolls aren't really smartest or most creative of people, I think most of them are happy if people just talk about them.
@Anon141285, oh come on boy. Put some effort into trolling. You need to get people to actual think you believe what you are saying. Here you have already messed up because you use the old "Chinese cartoons" which is supposed to piss of anime fans because it suggests you are ignorant of the meduim but then you reference the nukes showing full well you know where they are from. You have failed.
Chinese cartoons proof that two nukes weren't enough. Or were too much depending on the perspective
oh, talking about teenage horror female movie, make sure to check out Raw whenever its available online. That is one hell of a fun cannibal ride!
my point is we tend to spend our stupid 20s phase feel like its wasted, but really it does help develop our hobby/sense/wisdom, whatever it is.
I find myself now that I've grown up wanting to punch kid characters from horror films lol
About the watching stories with younger female characters...its starting to feel like I shouldn't be or that it doesn't feel appropriate, actually sort of awkward/skeevy.
True enough. But remember that even Quentin Tarantino had his 20s basically just a movie-clerk, watched movies like a maniac and he made that classic Pulp Fiction when he was like 33
Looking back It feels dickish that I laughed reading NHK.
I mean look at Re-life, I mean ow, everyone went through that.
I think we'll find that stage where we'll get irritated by stories reminding us of our stupid 20s phases eventually just as some teenage focused anime/manga annoyingly remind us of being teens.
In terms of anime/manga, much as I'd still see myself liking NHK I could see myself getting more frustrated with the lead character now being in my early 30s.
In the past year I've been looking at hentai/ecchi imageboards not as often as I used to.
Judy Delphy and Juliette Binoche have aged surprisingly well...
Ah its less fancying/finding them attractive, moreso taking notice of them.
I can understand the others but Meryl Streep too? Man, you're aging I can tell
@Mario: Julianne Moore, Isabelle Huppert, Meryl Sreep, Susan Sarandon, Cate Blanchett.
@Kaiser: like whom if I may ask?
But I'm always interested in women issues myself so Mustang just hit me hard
Its a sign of me aging I guess too. I'm noticing older actresses too now where I wouldn't have in the past.
Looking forward to Under the Shadow too, also really keen to see how The Bad Batch would turn out to be
Strangely I've become more engaged with teen, coming-of-age films recently (well, Aku no Hana is sort of teen drama as well),but yes, old man's psyche is my thing too
@Mario: Synecdoche, the passenger, winter light, anomalisa , wild strawberries , la notte for example.
@Mario: The day is coming where drama centred around twentyboppers won't have the same level of effect on me. Had I seen buffalo 66 5 years ago I would have been all over it. Old man/middle age angst is becoming more my thing.
@Mario: I'm honestly having a harder time getting into films that focus on young girls/teenagers.
@Mario: Theres only a few upcoming films left I'm looking forward to, Elle, Valley violence, whispering star and under the shadow.
@Mario: I appreciate mustang for the issue it deals with and addresses but I felt it predictable and the drama didn't hit harshly enough. It feels like an academy/oscars film.
Kaiser: remember I mention about watching those 96 Cannes line-ups? I think I will get to watch them soon, since I downloaded all the movies already
@Kaiser: btw, you hated Mustang? It's also one of my favorite film so far.
but maybe think of it that way will make the manga more entertaining...
You see Aku no Hana as a dark comedy? haha I'm speechless
Like you Mario I don't care for heavy infodumping and that took me out of the new world.
Bebop had that problem for me in that I saw outlaw star and trigun first.
I still feel aku no hana is a guilty pleasure manga, a crazy dark comedy or maybe thats just my humour.
Hataraku had me laughing up to episode 7, while Amagi felt stale from the start.
Looking back on Baccano I still like Claire and Russo but the other characters not so much, the main series is enjoyable enough but the extra episodes hold back the score.
I've never watched Habane straight through although I have finished the series. Ghost vs ergo? Ergos final episode wrecked the show.
I thing Hataraku was a lot more consistent, but Amagi had some standout episodes. For me the OVA, the pirate ship episode and the school episode were great. "Simply put, we have to go lewder" is one of my fav quotes
How was that by the way? I never bothered to watch Amagi Brilliant Park all the way through because I felt so cynical about it after the first two episodes. Hataraku Mao Sama on the other hand was genuinely refreshing for the first half of the season.
In other news, The Eccentric Family is getting 2nd season. Now I'm filled with joy
Still feel bad to compare an 1-cour series (Baccano) to an 4-cours one. But in this case Baccano would take my cake.
I reckon The Devil is a Part Timer vs Amagi Brilliant Park would be a fun one, and I wouldn't know which would win.
Baccano vs Durarara might make a good matchup. Baccano is the better one but Durarara does seem to be more popular.
Syndrome
Yeah it is a bit obvious and they dont share much in common anyway. Just that they are two of the most well known anime out there. I enjoyed NGE more than Cowboy Bebop, but I agree on the later beeing overall a better anime.
Oh look. Berserks Manga is on Haitus again. Muira...just..at this point I ain't even mad. Just disappointed.
Well, new post on Flowers of Evil is out. Come eat it up.
@Syndrome: was thinking about that match-up (NGE vs Cowboy Bebop) but isn't it too obvious? I always intend to pick something that caught you guys off-guard haha
@Syndrome, no contest. Cowboy Bebop wins outright.
Syndrome
On a serious note, for related anime, I would be curious about something like Ergo Proxy against Ghost in the Shell
Syndrome
Go for NGE vs Cowboy Bebop and watch the world burn
Yeah, I agree it's one of the main factors, but even so From the New World had a higher grade too. But I wouldn't pick Haibane Renmei against From the New World if I didn't think it had a chance to win. Those who loved the former really loved it, while people more appreciate From the New World than actually love it. Well, can't beat the consensus I guess.
I'd say a major reason for that would be the popularity difference. On MAL, Haibane has a following of 110k people, with FTNW having 270k.
I'm personally quite disappointed with the results. Will try harder for a more competitive match-up next time
@Mario, if you say so. I say by now the victor has been decided.
@Aidan: we don't need to sticky the Versus Show again, as I will put up the Aku no Hana post tomorrow anyway
Yeah the brightness got a bit much in some places after episode 18.
I thought the brightness was done well in the episode with Rem sitting beside Subaru's bed and her smiling/crying, but yeah this was too much
@anon125687: my thought exactly. While I was watching it I thought to myself that it's too bright!!
Why do final episodes overdo the blur effect and fuzzy lighting its literally over dramatic cancer. Just let it end normally ffs
afgm
Well, it's hard, since it doesn't really feel finished, so even if you know it will eventually end well if given a chance, you can't really put your full confidence behind those bets
Got a bit long winded in that review and yet I feel like I really didn't get across what makes the series so good.
Well that's the Re:Zero review written up. I will get to work on 91 days next and maybe Prisms Illya maybe after that. Lost all entuasim after they messed up that last episode in Illya. Overall it's been pretty disappointing.
As for that twist. I think they could work it easily into a first episode. The impact would still be there for people marathoning the thing in the future and it would be a good "Oh Shit!" moment to start the second season. If they jump ahead a bit to a certain moment it would actually make for a great opener.
I say the only chance of season two not coming would be if White Fox doesn't like money. Considering that the pace which the light novel adaption has sped up from every few months to a release every month I guess that they want to make that second season as badly as we want it. At this pace they could start a second season in maybe a years time. Maybe every half a year depending on cour length.
Syndrome
Also, if season 2 ever come (that would be a surprise if not, and truly annoying), I dont know how they will manage with the "twist", as something this impactful would come way too fast without any kind of setup. Wait and see, I guess.
Syndrome
After seeing the last Re:Zero I couldnt help but spoil myself, and I kind of understand why WhiteFox went with that kind of ending, skipping what would be a giant shtstorm on the internet. Even though, in a sad world where there would be no season 2, Im still a bit disappointed with the ending. Its nice to wrap it up this way but its a stale regarding the plot and there is no food for thought.
@aidan: you sure are fast when it comes to Re:Zero haha. Alrighty, we'll go with that then
@mario,I am putting up a Re:Zero post. Tommarrow. I will unsticky it for a day and then we can sticky it again.
reaLjustified
@K-Off No worries, it's so messed up. Stay safe.
@Aidan: if you going to post Re:Zero review soon, you can unsticky the Versus Show post, otherwise I will take it down in 2 days
@K-Off: I feel for ya. Glad that there were only minor injuries. I heard a blogger claimed that he did it because of the gay rights. Sound bullsh*t to me
Shit ton of manga have gotten updates but I don't feel like talking about them for a while, lost my appetite.
@Kaiser Living in NYC all my life I remember 9/11, flight 587 crash in Queens, the Hudson River water landing, and now this.
So far it seems most of the people calling it disappointing are those who know whats comes after that last scene and were looking forward to how the fanbase reacts to it. But it would have been a pretty terrible as well as evil way to end the series.
Yeah, I thought it gave enough closure for us to be satisfied yet still desperately wanting the next season.
@Anon120947, I really don't see what's so disappointing about it. I thought it was a pretty solid way to end the series.
I think at most the worst thing that happened in my area was two conmen going around and an gangster attack on a nearby hotel.
@K-off: Honestly, glad to hear you're safe. And having a bomb go off nearby would make me feel paranoid.
@Anon: I'm waiting, waiting for reviews written after the show ends.
Anonymous120947
Feels like it has been done this way in case of a never happening season 2... to kind of close it.
Anonymous120947
Wow, that last episode of Re:Zero was pure straight disapointment... finishing like this feels is real suffering.
Well, we don't know yet. We don't know who did it, if it was connected to the pipe bomb explosion in jersey, etc. But the second device found on 27th street does seem to point the situation towards terrorism.
afgm
Luckily it doesn't seem to be a terror attack
Yeah. I was a good 8 blocks away inside a restaurant so I didn't even know until later. It must have been a pretty small bomb since all the injured have apparently already been released from the hospital.
Damn. Just looked it up. Good thing you weren't at the area when the bomb went off.
Fucking hell, transit is so congested I still can't get home. Luckily it seems like there's no fatalities according to the initial reports, there are still a shit ton of people around central for shelter. I didn't hear or feel the explosion at chelsea, and currently I'm at lenox with my bicycle. So congested it looks like I'm going to have to walk my bike a few more miles before I get picked up. L
Watched The Empire of Corpses. I makes me sad to see a great idea be turned into such a mediocre movie. I think this concept could have been put to much better use but instead it decided to go with the blandest option.
The guy who will direct it is a live-action director who only had Psycho Pass the Movie (not a good one) as an anime director. WTH? Don't know what to think about this new FLCL now
and it will be co-produced by Adult Swim on top of that?
How comes I just noticed this old news that FLCL will get two-seasons sequel...
And by that I mean "Huh, haven't checked the blog for two days"
Yay commenting on two days old blog posts
Finished rewatching Re:Zero and now ready for the finale. Let's see how this goes.
I will be mourning the now dead hope of a somewhat decent Berserk adaption.
The last few episodes were not bad but purely on the merits of the source material and not the adaption.
@Bam: I'll be mourning indeed.
@Anon 112098: I haven't watched Chef, but it has more to do with me not interested in chef's life whatsoever. Is it good?
Bam
I'm out of town until Sunday evening. The Berserk finale post will hopefully be up early Monday mourning, followed by the overall cour review a bit later in the week.
Anonymous112098
Habe u seen Chef with John Favreau?
I am quite upset with how Sliver link handled that scene. It was the one scene I wanted done right. Just that one scene...and they screwed it up.
He scored the Prince of Egypt? I didn't know that, but yeah I remember it had a great score. Also "When you believe"
Well, a lot of his earlier work is just brilliant. Prince of Egypt in my opinion is his greatest work.
*nothing wrong
Well, Hans Zimmer could do nothing really; but that's a reason why I have a bit of problem with his scores. Everything he made are solid but ultimately sound the same to me.
Agree that the music has been excellent. Not only the soundtrack thou, but the sound editting in general is great (that ringtone during the Great Whale for example).
@Mario, Understandable. As much as I love this show, I admit that it has elements I am sure could turn off people.
Also I really should have talked about the music in this series more. It really is a phenomenal soundtrack. I hear they were going with a more cinematic approach to it with Hans Zimmer being a primary inspiration.
@Aidan: it has been a fun ride, I'm glad I stick with it till the end; although I'm not as enthusiastic about it as you are. :)
Re-watching Re:Zero in preparation for the finale. Still is awesome a second time through. In fact the middle part of the series I felt dragged fairs a whole lot better when marathoned though. Noticing a number of things watching the second time. For one Roswell has a really goddamn annoying way of talking. I say I will be giving this on a very favorable review.

Berserk(2016) - 12 [Those Who Cling, Those Who Struggle]

Berserk(2016) – 12 [Those Who Cling, Those Who Struggle]

I am truly sorry for the delay. I know I know … these excuses are becoming exceedingly homologous of a young student who has been procrastinating on his homework, but I give you my word, for at least what it’s worth, that this is certainly not the case. I have been preoccupied with my pet’s […]

orange 13b

orange – 13 (end)

We come to an end of orange’s ride. After teasing us for a whole season whether or not history repeats itself, they decide to go with a happy ending route. While I’m not entirely happy with orange as a whole, this double-length final episode succeeds on closing the story in high note. At the very […]

91-days-11-4

91 Days – 11

So this is it? This is the grand master plan of Avilio’s brought to full fruition? I guess it is and let me say that it’s certainly a let down. Edmond Dantes Avilio is certainly not as his plan pretty much feels like he was going along with the flow and calling it a plan. […]

Thunderbolt Fantasy 12a

Thunderbolt Fantasy – 12

Now, we just have one episode left, but things get even more intense and crazy by the minute, to the point I don’t really know how they would wrap it up neatly. At the beginning Shang Bu Shuan was mocked by Juan Can Yun that he should be titled “Edgeless Blade”, because his sword-style is […]

fate-kaleid-liner-prisma-illya-3rei-11-12-2

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei – 11-12

I will be the first to admit that this season of this series disappointed me. I still stand by my word on this being better than previous seasons of the show but watching it fold out in animation has made me begin to think I was overstating just how good it really was. Though part […]

mob-psycho-100-11-4

Mob Psycho 100 – 11

Looks like I need to eat my own words as it turns out Reigan isn’t the organization’s leader but he managed to convince the guards that he was. This was definitely Reigans finest moment as he makes use of pure deception to catch everyone off guard. He has absolutely no idea what exactly is going […]

91-days-10-4

91 Days – 10

As we near the end of 91 Days I have taken this time to really think over what this show has presented so far and I admit to be somewhat disappointed. Ultimately the ride has been solid and Studio Shuka have delivered on their promise of making a Mafia drama. However I cannot help but […]

orange 11a

orange – 12

For the first time orange manages to do something different narratively. The first half of this week’s episode tells the original timeline in Kakeru’s point of view, and with that we can understand more clearly about his emotional progress, at the same time gives us much more details about his Mom. In the original timeline, […]

[HorribleSubs] Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 18 [480p].mkv_002253.373