Posted by psgels on 26 September 2006 with categories: Simoun

Image Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

And so, I’m afraid to say it, but Simoun has come to an end. And it certainly has been one of the most unique endings ever. It was nothing that could have blown me off my chair, but instead, this ending did leave me with a warm, fuzzy feeling. I can happily say that this ending succeeded. Still, the ending was puzzling, and there are a small number of questions left unanswered.

Anyway, the episode takes place a few years in the future, in order to show what happened to each of the members of the chor tempest. Extra focus is put on Limone and we also see a flashback of what happened with Aaeru and Neviriru before they got to perform their Emerald Ri Maajon.

What happened to Aaeru and Neviriru afterwards wasn’t really spectacular. They headed off, a spokesman of the Highlands sends some Simoun to retrieve them, though the priestesses have no intention of capturing them. They perform the Emerald Ri Maajon, and disappear. It’s not the huge spectacle with Limone and Dominüra. Still, the fact that the only scenes we see of them is at the end of the episode, in which they’re dancing in the debris of the Arcus Prima does make you wonder what happened with them afterwards. It’s one of the few unanswered questions. I’m suspecting that they travelled a lot of different worlds.

Surprisingly, we never get to see Amuria. We never know what happened to her. Same with Mamiina’s body. She’s been shot down. What happened to it? Those are the only bad points of this episode.

Limone was awesome in this episode. She looks beautiful when she’s grown up, and it seems that her arrival triggered other people of her age to try flying with the Simoun as well. We never find out whether she’s in the future, or in the past. If I had to guess, it’s the future. Don’t know why. Dominüra hasn’t been willing to fly the Simoun ever since she arrived in this timezone. Limone, however, wants to fly again, though not if it means forcing her will onto Dominüra. She’s been bothered by quite an amitious Sybilla, who aims to be paired with Limone, but Limone refuses to fly with anyone other than her beloved pair. How cute. The last scene we see of them is Dominüra, who finally agrees to fly again. She and Limone happily walk off, while Limone casted off the same strange stuff Onashia did. Does this mean what I think it means?

Next up, the characters who remained in the current world. First up: Morinasu. She now works as a female employee under Wauf. She’s been married with Waporifu, and she’s pregnant of her second child now.

Wauf also got a little daughter. The identity of mother is never mentioned. But it does seem clear that he has a very strong bond with both Morinasu and his daughter. He was very cute to see. I also loved him as a minor character in the series.

Remember Eri? Well, of course, he had to end up somewhere as well. He renamed himself to Erifu, and works at the same place as Morinasu and Wauf. It seems that he pilots Simire, in order to transport goods from one place to another. He’s been exceptionally busy, as it seems that the highlands and the archipelago are going into war.

Next up, Paraietta. Talk about character growth. I think that she, along with Dominüra and Mamiina changed the most, out of all of the characters in the series. She’s just so laid back now. She has really learned not to worry so much. She also put her time into a very noble job: providing a home for children who have lost their parents. Surprisingly enough, she ended up along with Rodoreamon.

Rodoreamon seems to have decided to take the management of Paraietta’s orphan home. It seems that they’ve got some problems with the upcoming war. She’s a bit worried, but determined as well. Also a HUGE difference with the way she was before.

Kaimu and Aruti decided to live together after all. After they grew up, they just returned to their original home, in order to spend their days quietly. Cute, very cute. ^_^

Yun still is at the spring, though she did decide to choose her gender. In the end, she became a female. Right now, she’s still standing at the spring, devoting her entire life to changing genders. In a way, that’s really sad. But she did choose for it. I remember noting that Jun was a tough nut to crack, back when she was just 100% objectivity. Well, in the end, she definitely had her moment of glory.

Furoe changed the most in terms of appearance. But that’s only logical, as she had the most feminine looks of the entire cast, and she suddenly switched to being a male. He named himself Furoefu. He’s been working as a farmer, right next to the debris that was once the mighty Arcus Prima. I can imagine that it works quite nostalgic. He even visits it some times, on a Helios Motores-powered boat.

Vyura (or Vyurafu) looks so cool as a man. He’s got a really laid-back attitude. And it seems that he’ll be fighting on the side of the enemy. I think that’s one of the messages of this final episode. “Ah well, that’s life.”

Anubitufu and Guraghief look so totally badass, in their new outfits. ^^;

And of course, I knew it was coming when around the final moments of the episode, the creators decided to show a few last shot of the ruins of the Arcus Prima. It really had it coming, and indeed. It’s a perfect way for a finale. We first see Aaeru and Neviriru dancing a bit, symbolizing the journeys they made. Then we switch to one of the hallways, in which Paraietta was doodling on the walls, two episodes ago.

Really, she was more enthusiastic than I thought she was. She made an incredibly cute chibi-drawing of every single Simoun Sybilla. That was so cute to see. A fitting ending for such an awesome series.

1. cos says:

Surprisingly, we never get to see Amuria. We never know what happened to her. Same with Mamiina’s body. She’s been shot down. What happened to it?>>No,she stayed a maiden.She just grew up a little.

Anyway it was truly a great ending for a great show,I’m so sad Simoun ended…

2. cos says:

Strange a portion of my text was deleted.

To clarify the previous post I was just saying that Yun didn’t become a woman and stayed a maiden.
    As for Mamina’s body it was found by enemy priestess after the crash,so it may have been properly buried.
    I also always thought that Amuria died on first ep,after all she couldn’t have been time-traveled with an incomplete remergion + she had her cockpit open when the incident occurred.

3. Futaba-chan says:

According to the staff blog, Wauf married Ai, who was Vyura’s pair from Chor Rubor, and who was with her when she came to the Messis.

4. psgels psgels says:

Cos: Heh, I still would have love to see Amuria’s fate comfirmed. She did disappear, which suggests that she went somewhere, but the Emerald Ri Maajon failed, suggesting that her body was taken by Tempus Patiem, or something in that direction.

Futaba: I think I know who you’re talking about. It’s surprising, as their relationship never really was developed. I think that’s why the creators decided not to show her identity.

5. Solaris says:

This was the most original show i saw recently. Maybe it’s a bit too yury at the first sight and many people could be scared by that.
    If you endure this first shock you find many good and not easy themes to be developed very cleverly: the fall from deity, the reasons of war seen from the point of view of the “villanin”, the coming of age of the children who must face war and suffering, the theme of time/space paradox end much more.

I liked a lot all the caracters and was very sad when Mamiina died. My fav char is Floe (what a shock when she choose to become a man! I didn’t expect it at all). I disliked Aareu a bit as she’s too rough and unpolite. (now i know many people will shoot at me ^^”).

To answer the question of the other users of the forum, here’s my personal interpretation:
    >what happened to Amuria?
    Sad to say it, but she’s OUT, KAPUTT, burned down ecc ecc… in other words dead :p
    >and mamiina’s body
    it was shot on purpouse by the “enemy” sybillae so that mamiina could rest in a the field of flowers and reamain the noble sybilla she deserved to be, instead of being buried in her hometown as a normal citizen.
    >Aaeru and Nevril ended far in the future dancing in the relic of the Arcus Primae
    I’m not sure of this: the dance seemed to me a recall of the old times as Floef goes away.
    In the last scene with Limone (niiice girl she became :Q__) she happened to see a simoun coming down from the sky…
    More about Linone and Dominura… i’m not sure Limone was leaving “particles” behind, but Dominura was indeed. She also had problems with her arm in the preceeding scene no? Moreover isn’t Dominura the real identity of Onashia? Onashia told Yun she’s the last survivor of Chor Dextra, but we know that dominura is from chor Dextra as well! What Dominura saw in the empty Helix of the simoun couldn’t be her “future” self as onashia?

6. psgels psgels says:

I actually liked Aaeru a lot, simply because her inpoliteness was so much different from the usual collection of brats who get featured in other anime. She indeed started out annoying, but when she started growing and developing her character, I easily became a fan of her. ^^;

And Dominüra being Onashia is an interesting theory. You could be right, actually, though it’s been a bit too long ago since I saw this anime.

7. Solaris says:

Sorry if i revive this old threads.
    Well i (yet) can’t see anime as they are spoken in japanese.
    Moreover i am still collecting last year’s fansub and still haven’t even started collecting this very last season here!
    So pls forgive me.
    I am only watching Sola (for a simple matter of name, as it reminds of my own nick :p)

8. Low_Lite says:

Oh, yeah, that’s the greatest end I’ve seen since months…I’ve watched several mangas this year, and all the ends let me disapointed…So I thought Simoun’s end wouldn’t be so well, so given-answers, and I was plaesantly surprised. Knowwing much about the character’s after they left their Sibyllae’s role. Also the suggestions about Aeru and Neviril…
    This anime is great, I thought it was a little bit excessive at the beggining when I saw Sibyllaes kissing before flying, but when the story came to the point of travelling through time and space…It really becomes great, dreaming and make spectator thinking a lot…
    What to say but this anime is the greater I saw since a long long time…Concepts about war, life, religion, becoming an adult (or choose not to become it entirely),possibilities of traveling into several dimensions are well exposed here, and it makes the story more realistic that a lot of other. I think also we can easily identify ourselves in some character and our world in the one of Simoun.
    And have you ever heard or red about ‘black hole’? Some dreamers said that if a humanbeing could go through one of them, he may arrive into another dimension. And the black fuul circle which is on the top of the emerald rii-maajon made me think about a black hole.
    An anime which makes people think about lot of things, human condition, the way how the world is turning… ^_O

9. Low_Lite says:

And i’ve forbidden to say, good article, I haven’t red yet such a good summary and opinion about Simoun… ^^

10. changeup says:

Just need to clarify one thing. Dominura and Limone have travelled to the past. Actually, they are the ones who originally taught the people about how to fly a Simoun in the past, so that the whole story really starts from there. A typical time loop of causality…

11. Joseph Saunders, Jr. says:

Paraieta’s nursery had both girls and boys playing side by side. Remember, this planet is single gender only..so maybe one of our time-traveling pairs were able to change society from female only births to male and female births. No visits to the Spring..or..surgeries at birth in some countries is needed anymore.

12. zacinabox says:

I think everybody hit the nail on everyone’s wrap up, EXCEPT for Dominura’s..

My theory is this:

She is in fact more than likely Onashia. It is wise to say this is what she probably saw in the simoun too. (However we can’t rule out the possibility that it was someone else from Chor Dextra. Yes Dominura was said to be the last “survivor” but since up until late in the game it wasn’t really said that people didn’t die creating the time hole, perhaps a few of those maidens did in point of fact get the same fate. So the true identity of Onashia may not be Dominura so much as someone in her old company. However, to keep with the other theory:

If we look back to what (current Onashia/Dominura) said to Yuna, it was: She neither went to another world, NOR did she become an eternal maiden. This leads me to believe that Dominura stayed in the current world where her and Limone fell, and Limone left to become an eternal maiden herself to venture into other worlds.

I think the ending when Dominura actually (at the last minute) came to Limone, signifies that she changed her own future! And the particles were not symbolic of what she would become, but symbolic of what she was going to change about her own impending fate by deciding to fly with Limone after all.

13. Jared says:

Well, I don’t have much to add. I just wanted to say that this was probably one of the most enjoyable shows I have had the pleasure of watching. It was just beautiful. And… Well, the ending gave me that happy/sad feeling which comes from knowing that the show is over and ‘that’s all, folks!’ But it isn’t a bad feeling. Not really. =)

14. synkronized says:

Compared to a show like Ano Hi Mita Hana, Simoun actually delivered the dealing with coming of age and death a lot better. Ano Hi was solid but this show avoided the obnoxious over acting that kills drama laiden shows. It also delivered a very engaging premise with a lot of different threads that actually worked out well.

I do wish they used a different character style though. The rounded, soft looks of all the characters doesn’t jive well with me.

15. In the end did Yun become a woman? How do we know this?

16. chasbanner says:

The tale begins with the dramatic “Yoen Naru Kizuna no Hibiki”. Improvising a dashing invitation, a solitary accordion proffers its hand to its audience with a flourish. The offer is irresistible. In no time at all, the surroundings are illuminated by a heated tango that is colored with the slightest shade of mystery. Suavely charismatic, the accordion is then joined by its partner, a cello, and the two intertwine in a beautifully impassioned duet. The accordion’s invitation to dance is a portal to an entirely different world – a world where the colors are brighter and passions run high.

Customize
@Kaiser, it does stop if you make an account.
Hmmm there we go again, it delayed sending my message for longer than it should have.
Anyone notice today and last night that the site has had some loading issues? I kept getting an error page for a while and it was also loading a bit more slowly. A server issue?
Have to say, Flip Flappers ep 5 was pretty good. I love atmospheric settings like that.
Looks like an Epee. The large bell guard, the fact that they are focusing on thrusting attacks instead of slashing (mostly). Fencing is alot of fun. Be prepared for some bruises though, as some people put their full body weight behind their thrusts.
I have one last dumb question, Can you tell what types of blade of Juri in Utena? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGsVSSUv_i0
@Lenlo: the more you described the more I found fencing interesting. I might take a look around my town to see if we have Fencing here (the curse of living in a small town).
Blades are slightly different, yes, but mostly just in their guard and how much they bend. Sabers bend easily, Epee's not so much. Surprisingly Epee is the slowest, because people tend to be more careful. Saber is actually the most aggressive of the blades, atleast at my skill level
That's all they had to do. Just stay inside and let it pass. But for some weird reason they just keep panicking over nothing.
As far as time/alternate world stuff goes this was ridiculously underwhelming. Just finished another movie called triangle and now that's how you do Time travel mindfuckery.
@Mario, I am not fond of movies where people make stupid decisions for no good reason. For example:
"We should just stay inside"
"No, staying inside isn't realistic"
WHY IN THE HOLY HELL ISN'T IT REALISTIC.
Showed that movie to a bunch of friends last year and I remembered one of the girl just shut off the movie after 15'
@Aidan: too bad. I found Cohenrent really funny and entertaining. Some of their twists are stupid but I was actually invested in much of their characters. Maybe because I always love movies about a bunch of characters in an isolated setting
@Lenlo: sounds like Epee is the most "all-out-attack" and aggressive one. Their blades are different as well I assume?
Just watched a movie called coherence and man, what a bunch a pseudo-intellectual garbage that was.
For Right of Way, its basically Person A attacks, Person B parries, Person A hits, Person B hits, Person B gets the point because they took right of way with the parry. Saber and Foil both have that, but Epee does not. Epee is simply "Whoever hits the opponent first, doesnt matter where, whole body is target area"
Theres Saber, Foil and Epee. The main difference is this thing called right of way, but there are other smaller ones like how Saber can hit with the edge and Epee is allowed to hit the entire body, instead of just the chest like Foil
For news, Blood Blockade Battlefront getting second season next year. As it was one of my favorite last year I'm really lokking forward to this second season
@Lenlo: that sounds great. From what I know from fencing there are 3 different types of blade right? So what are the differences between them? (Fencing 101 here)
Although a fantasy sports thing could also generate interest, such as combining sports together to create something totally new.
@SuperMario, Fencing was great. Favorite sport ever and it helped me stay in shape in College. I find Epee to be the best blade, mostly cause I fenced it, but its a very intense 3 minutes. Unlike sports like Soccer and such which is alot of sustained running, Fencing is 3 minutes of Dont-Stop-Moving then wait till next match. Gets really fun once you figure out your own style.
haha, I wouldn't mind either if each episode focus on a single sport/ character/ country. Or even the positive aspects like role models, sports inspirations and stuffs
That Olympic anime sounds great.
And it would be a good excuse to have characters of multiple backgrounds included too.
Could be an 13 episode ova series with 48 minute episodes, and if its to be an ensemble character drama you could have 10 minutes to a each character (the ones being focused on in that episode) in each episode.
Ah yes, aswell as cheating it could also get into "stage parenting", "abuse", "Disabilities" and also the general politics of sports, the backroom stuff.
I'll be the first in line if that olympic anime ever come out. Could be interesting to see the interactions between athletes in different sports, and then fans/athletes/coaches relationship, then the gold rush, doping... So much to talk around to
I don't think theres ever been a manga about hurling either. Hey heres an idea, someone do an ensemble drama anime that deals with the olympics, fit in multiple sports that way.
Personally I find Australian football much more exciting than rugby. Or crickets.
@Kaiser: ha! Interesting that you mentioned Gaelic football, because in Aus we have AFL (Australian Football League), that really similars to Gealic Football to the point sometimes we have the 2 national teams compete each other with modified rules
Hmm, lets see, sport under-represented in anime? Fencing, golf , Gaelic football, bowling, boat racing.
Hey, fencing is actually really cool. How did you like it Lenlo?
You have your point there Topgavin, as I clearly remember many instances where players' legs, backs or even necks got snapped during rugby's tackles. But in regards to Rugby I never really care about it. That and car racing
Its mostly the type of injuries you get that differ I think. Football you get concussions and broken bones and such, while in Rugby you probably get alot of bruises and cuts. Granted I have played neither, I was a Soccer man in highschool and fencing in College
American football has alot of rules, and really is just a bunch of millionaires running around chasing a ball. Rugby however, as Topgavin said, has no pads so when you get hit you get hit HARD
I never ceases to surprise me just how high and mighty visual novel fans can be over Mosaics present in localized games. I mean they are literally complaining about not seeing genitalia yet the way they phrase it, it's like they are fighting against great injustice. If these VNs were Nukige they might have a point but in most cases the sex scenes in question are pointless and shoehorned in.
@Mario Rugby is more extreme *because* it has no protective gear. No hiding behind helmets and cushioned shoulder pads when ya get bowled over.
@Lenlo: I'm no expert but isn't American football a variation of Rugby? And I believe american football is more extreme, considering they have to wear helmets, protection gears and all that
I dont think theres alot of manga about it because its simply not that popular outside the US. As far as it being a battlefield, eeeeh? Not really? You want a battlefield watch Rugby.
I can think of other cool sports that could be interesting to see in anime: Kick Volleyball (Sepak takraw), Bossaball (combined soccer, volleyball in a trampoline), or in the same vein of skate figures this season, why not pole dancing competition???
What other sport is cool and popular that remains original to write about by now? There isn't a lot of manga about it compared to anything else.
American football looks like a battlefield with a visible battleline and everything. Id like it if there wasnt so many darn commercials.
I mean, its a sport. Far cry from best, but its definitely a sport.
@Vonter: or maybe because american football IS the best sports ever?
@Vonter: Most likely due to the middle section of the original anime being the most popular bit.
Can someone explain me how Cobra, is apparently getting an anime around some sort of space american football? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54kNWPr43zE
@Mario: Its not safe enough a film for me to properly recommend. Even to exploitation fans, they might find it too slow others would be too sensitive to it. Really una vita violenca, mamma roma, accatone, hawks and sparrows are what Pasolini is really about.
Now that you watched Salo, would you recommend the film to other people? I personally think it's a masterpiece but it's one of the title that I think people would break up with me if I show them this movie
@Kaiser: even him as a director, both Braveheart and Apocalypto don't do much to me, will see if Hacksaw Ridge going to change my mind (but I'm not to fond with war movies in general). La Notte is in my sooon-to-watch list for years, haha
@Mario: Mel Gibson as a director, not as an actor =)
@Mario: Thats why I prefer the neo-realist/quasi-neo-realism stuff as it deals with the worse off in society. But Antonioni was the master of being able to do films about angsty well-off people, L'aventura, the passenger and La notte for example
@Mario: Its not so much that I dislike post 50s fellini moreso I feel that his throw everything at the screen and hope what sticks method can be hit or miss.
While I don't really mind his later stuffs because he was masterclass, I have a pretty hard time for Paolo Sorrentino's later works. The thing is I don't care much about the high class society so everything is just ridiculously over the top and glamour and I'm tired of it.
I haven't watched nights of cabiria but I did watch La Strada and boy, I was sad for few days after watching it. Fellini mentioned that he was inspired to make this movie when seeing a woman pushing a cart from behind. The film really carry that sense throughout its running
Michael Haneke put Salo in his top 10 films. Quite understandable when you think about it. Still for me one of the movie that affected me deeply.
I really admire Elle for its ability to maintain its sharpness because under other inexperienced directors it could easily becomes a mess. Mel Gibson, really? He's one of the few actors that I absolutely dislike
@Kaiser: The Red Turtle remains one of the the most refreshing time I had this year in cinema, but then again I haven't watched much films lately. Agree with you on Sonia's performance, and I still think they could cut out the first 20' of the film because it feels out of place compare to the rest of the film
Debating whether to bother catching up on I am a hero or watching the film adaptation. I haven't read it since they got rid of that one female character.
@Mario: I've a feeling you'll like nights of cabiria, Fellini was cranking out some solidly effective social-realist dramas in the 50s before he fell into self-indulgence.
Now I have that sound euphonium compilation film downloaded, I should get to that sometime.
@Mario: I also finally watched Salo, I ended up meeting it pretty much halfway. Some parts still retain the ability to effect a modern viewer, having seen his other works though its crazy just how different Salo is to them.
@Mario: Seeing I, daniel Blake tomorrow and rogue one in a few weeks.
@Mario: I hope Mel Gibson and Isabelle huppert win at the next oscars.
@Mario: I liked the red turtle for its visual style of storytelling and animation even if I didn't get as emotionally attached to it as others did. I also watched Aquarius nd was pretty much blown away by Sonia Braga's performance. Elle is now one of my favourite Verhoeven films and its a miracle he managed to maintain such a great balance successfully throughout the film.
I don't care for the sequel of Code Geass at all. Why Spice & Wolf still hasn't got season 3 though is what really bugged me. From what I know their manga and LNs are selling very well
I wonder why that is...
Ah, they were always milking code geass though what with those bajillion-million-billion manga spinoffs.
Still say I was more fond of the character chemistry in spice and wolf as opposed to everything else.
I'll likely pass on the code geass sequel, the memory I have of it has already led to its appeal dimishing for me, I don't want to ruin things further watching an un-neccesary followup. Still avoiding utawerumono's second season for same reasons.
After all there are things which need sequels and things which don't. And Code Geass never needed a sequel after R2's ending. Giving something a sequel can just ruin the conculsion of the orignal series. Case in point. Eureka Seven Ao. Remember that? Cause you shouldn't. Because it was terrible.
Honestly I would have preferred Spice and Wolf Season 3.
So...is anyone gonna mention that Code Geass is getting a sequel?
....Because Code Geass is getting a sequel.
@Anon, I am watching it as well. But I am a bit behind because I am watching the funimation broadcast dub. It's a very good guilty pleasure. I don't find it quite as funny anymore but it's still pure dumb fun.
@Anon487524: I'm still following it and it still remains a fun show to watch. I love the way they do the fan-servicey completely straight.
@anon I'll admit to watching it. While it is very simple and follows the sport anime formula religiously, it's still a blast to watch every week. This is also helped because you have no expectations for it before watching other than "oh god what's gonna happen this week".
Granted, nothing special, just one of those anime whose only worth is being fun to watch without being deep, but Keijo really is fun to watch, easily the best guilty pleasure anime in a long while to me.
I started watching it expecting an crappy fanservice anime with nothing of worth, but it ended up being actually pretty fun and awesome to watch.
Anyone here seeing Keijo?
What's up with 3-gatsu no Lion? Delayed for a week huh?
Checked out Hedeki anno's godzilla re-boot earlier out of curiousity, its a bit plodding/dull at times but sometimes its high camp value played straight is kind of funny, having godzilla evolve during the film was a cool touch and I enjoyed every scene with him and making a Godzilla film today is still very relevant. Not a patch on the old ones though.
I think that movie was just so terrible that people made it into a meme. Stuff like "The Entire Bee Movie Except Evey Time They Say 'Bee' The Movie Speeds Up"
I'm sorry lmao I had to, it seemed so appropriate a moment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1GadTfGFvU
Fun Fact: The whole Bees shouldn't be able to fly thing is a myth.
Badesh
I think that was just a dry realization...
@Topgavin, It's a meme to post the entire script of the bee movie in random places?
....I don't get the joke.
For anyone wondering, I think anon just copy/pasted the entire script for the Bee movie. Memes are goin strong
According to all known laws
of aviation,

there is no way a bee
should be able to fly.

Its wings are too small to get
its fat little body off the ground.

The bee, of course, flies anyway

because bees don't care
what humans think is impossible.

Yellow, black. Yellow, black.
Yellow, black. Yellow, black.

Ooh, black and yellow!
Let's shake it up a little.

Barry! Breakfast i
Actually I think it was up to about episode ten or so I saw.
From what I can recall I watched legend of the galactic heroes somewhere past the part with the Caligula guy.
That is one thing I wonder about the remake. How are they going to make the space battles interesting? Cause for me theres only so many times you can watch tin boxes shoot lasers and explode.
I didn't like LOGH until the third episode. That's when it started to catch my attention. It also helps that I have a interest in history as the plot of LOGH practically reads like genuine history.
In my case the overhype didn't kill it for me as I generally try to avoid that. When I walked into LOGH I was under the impression that it would ahve merit but not be for me. After all I heard it was mostly politics and the politics of Gundam bore me to tears. Funny enough the opposite happened. The space battles bored me but the politics got me really interested.
@Leahcimali, The problem is that the people who say that something is the best thing they ever seen don't actually mean it. Often it's just hyperbole. When talking we other people fans tend to blow certain things out of proportion unintentionally. Overrated is likely the wrong word but you get what I mean.
leahcimali
@AidankAK47 oh and are you going to write a review about it or because psngel already wrote a review of it you are not gonna write it ?
leahcimali
the problem is trying to rank art . Even comparing a comedy show and a story focus show is clearly impossible. @AidanAK47 do you think the overhype of some hardcore logh fan killed you enjoyment of the show ? Because sometimes when you expect nothing of something you can enjoy it more than when waiting for something incredible.
leahcimali
i hear the same thing from fan of lord of the ring, star wars and game of thrones, star trek ... etc. The hardcore fan of those says that they are the greatest things in history ... but saying there are overated is discrediting the quality of those. Nothing is perfect and again maintening equal quality in a longuer running show is impossible. But having a longer story create a more rich background
LookingForKeys
@Mario Kimi no Na ha is pretty damn good. Watched it while in Japan a couple weeks back. The story has well done surprises, and on the graphics side you can *really* see Production IG worked on it.
leahcimali
I don't think saying logh is overated is a good way to say it. All media with great aclaimed critics or even highly popular show suffer from the fan reaction. If fan claim that it is the best things that they have ever saw and you don't agree, it feels overated. But this is only pure subjectivity. Saying he is greastest thing in history is a way for fan to exprim there love
However it has been placed on a unreasonable pedestal that nothing could live up to. Eva is sort of in the same boat. So yes it is overrated but that does not mean it isn't great.
@Leahcimali, if anything is claimed to be the greatest thing in the history of mankind it is overrated. The basic idea that there is a single anime out there which is fundamental and universally better than all other anime regardless of genre or intent is inherently a flawed concept. I do certainly see why LOGH is so highly acclaimed and I believe it is well worth watching.
@Anon, I didn't look into the details of the new LOGH remake. I was planning on doing that when I am doing an anime season preview for it whenever it's going to air next year. For a long anime it does rate highly but even then I am not certain it really needed all 110 of those episodes.
leahcimali
about your comment are you thinking the LOGH anime is overated ? i ask Because you said that there is plenty of anime you consided better .
about the remake won't it be a straight adaptation from the manga remake by the artist that made shiki ?
AidanAK47 personally i really loved legend of the galactic heroes and it is one of the anime that make one of the biggest impact on me. I found it the best "long" anime that i ever seen (more than 24 ep). But comparing it to anime with shorter format is a bit hard. you can make something that have perfect pacing in 1h30 but it is impossible with a 110 ep anime.
Either way I am pretty certain that all other isn't crap to me now seeing as I have seen the so called pinnacle. In fact There are plenty of anime I consider better that LOGH.
There are aspects of its story which wouldn't really work by today's standards.
And I did it. I watched legend of the galactic heroes. I have slain the white whale of anime. It certainly was interesting to say the least but I think the remake coming is going to have trouble. I am in between giving it a 8 or a 9 but it's clear that LOGH is very much a product of its time.
I didn't really care for this weeks flipflappers, the fanservice and also it was even more trigger than I could take.
@Gavin@Mario: I'll get round to your name someday but I think this might be my last chance with shinkai.
@Aidan: That disgaea review made me nostalgic because I remember my friends and I playing it back when it first came out. We found it difficult but were amused by it/liked the characters.
@Aidan: Are the manga posts exclusively for series with only a few chapters translated or series that came out in the past year or so? I've been reading gunka no balthazar and enjoying it enough and think it should get recommendation out there.
Just booked tickets to go see it on Sunday with my little sister. Was surprisingly reluctant but I know she'll like it, I've already seen it but pumped either way.
Your name movie has been showed theatrically here in Aus, I'm planning to rewatch it soon in theatre and then do a review on it. Is that alright with other admins?
so I guess the top 6 will advance to the final are: Otabek Altin (Kazakhstan), Giacometti (Switzerland), Yuri, Yurio, JJ and Phichit? Will be very cool final event haha
At the very least Yuri on Ice shows me how entertaining ice skating can be
@K-Off: have a good trip ahead K-Off. Well, it's still better than Japan (earthquake) I guess
Well, heading to Korea tomorrow. What a time to go. In the middle of Korea's biggest financial scandal since the 80s.
Is it just me, or does the Yuri on Ice opening get more colorful and detailed every week?
Badesh, if you like to check out their other songs, give "Tunnels of Love" and "Romeo & Juliet" a listen. Though I just discovered Telegraph Road quite recently, those 2 songs are qmong my all time favorite
I prefer their ealier version when the band was still together (aLCHEMY 1983), but that Rome 2005 was magnificent too. Seriously with this band diifferent live versions feel like another experience... And that song is criminally under-heard in radio too, because of its running time. A crying shame
Badesh
uhh, found it in better quality. now, THAT is a fitting present for my dad :)
Badesh
well that commentator, that sounds like he's in a soccer match, will get on my nerves though...
Badesh
if you're talking about the rome 2005 version... hell, that's some sweet music. i'll inhale that for the rest of the evening, thanks for that
Anyone here listen to Dire Straits? I just in the mood for their music lately. Checked out the band playing Telegraph Road live the other day on youtube and I was completely stunned.
@Lenlo: I considered Flip Flappers 3,5,6 to be its best so far so continue on to see if Flip Flappers is your cup of tea or not
For me I have a lot of stuffs to catch up on this time a year, both in terms of anime and in my RL. Time goes fast as hell
Started watching Flip Flappers. Thought I had it figured out, then we got Mad Max going on. I may start liking it more, cause the first 2 eps didnt do much
Its also nearing Thanksgiving in the states and end of semester for University, so those sorts will be busier than usual.
You are far too young to be reminiscing. You can build a place for a community but you can't force one to come. I for one would think it would be easier to form one if people stopped using the Anon tag. You can change your name with the customize button you know.
I remember a time when people other than site admins were regular posters. Those were the days...
But I suppose watching Westworld isn't exactly a waste of time.
Downside is that I really don't have a lot of time these days. It's rather annoying. The day goes by and it doesn't really feel like you did anything.
On the upside, I am nearly finished Legend of the galactic heroes. So when the Remake airs next year I will have a lot to say about it.
Personally I have been rather busy lately and wanted to finish off a few things. Hence why my posts have been getting later.
Anyway when there's nothing on the chat box to talk about then of course it dries up.
You have unfortunate timing.
All the chat regulars have left house as well.
Four days since a single post.
Damn, I don't know if it's the layout/algorithm/mods, but so many subreddits that I used to frequent have gotten watered down as hell. Between the influx of shills and changes to the upvote/downvote system (which doesn't properly convey controversial comments anymore, like 45 upvotes to 47 downvotes. Now it shows only a -2) it's hard to find reasonable debates or find important info
@K-off: and for that book the last time I checked it was $110 for you guys who live US plus free shipping. For us it's $150 not incluing the postage and few weeks delivery.
Damn, I didn't realize that it could be that bad elsewhere. The worst experience I had was when I ordered a laser pointer from Switzerland over a forum, and the cunt didn't respond for nearly 4 weeks until I threatened to refund my $250 on PayPal.
@Mario, Europe. That's the difference.
@Aidan: yeah I got a dispatch notice saying it's shipping now. I ordered it back in September as well so I don't know why the difference between us.
I remember the days where I used to be relying on waiting for anime dvds to come out locally , looking back they were really overpriced, 35 euro for 4 or 5 episodes.
My opinion on FMA alchemist ended up being all over the place because I must have watched 3 episodes every few months of it, then I stopped watching it for a year, got back into it for a few months, abandoned it for months then marathoned 20 episodes in one night to get it finished.
See I've been thinking over FMA lately, if you join up the best episodes of brotherhood and the first adaptation you get the perfect show.
And yet it would make sense to rewatch it. 2005/2006 were the days where I'd never marathon anything. I've seen the whole show obviously but with massive gaps in between.
@Kaiser, HEATHEN. Though I haven't seen the original fullmetal Alchemist in years. Watched it way back when I started anime. Would be good to pay it a revisit with this.

occulticnine-08-4

Occultic;Nine – 07-08[Happiness is a Warm Gun]

By episode sevens end it did confirm that indeed, the majority of the cast is dead which brings up a whole host of problems. For you see while this twist may seem like a interesting left turn, it only really works if you consider the time a character is shown on screen the only time […]

Sound Eupho 2 - 09

Sound! Euphonium 2 – 09 [Sound! Euphonium]

Two-third of this Fall season have passed and usually this is the time for our shows to reach to their full potential. Sound Eupho, comfortably delivers one of its best episode of this second season. As you can probably tell by the self-titled nature of this episode, our Eupho players are given as the centerpiece […]

mahou-shoujo-ikusei-keikaku-09-3

Magical Girl Raising Project – 09[Notice of New Rules]

Calamity Mary dying was pretty expected and the death that followed was equally something that was bound to happen. Though having a third death was not quite what I expected. Considering the small line in one of the halfway blurbs about Nana having some other intentions I thought she might have more to her than […]

drifters-08-1

Drifters – 08[Mystery Call Me]

It looks to be a trend of drifters to follow a high action episode with a cooling down period. Though it does leave me with little to comment on. Scipio meeting Kanno and neither being able to understand each other lead to what may be one of the few jokes that actually hit with this […]

Flip Flappers 08c

Flip Flappers – 08 [Pure Breaker]

Yay, I’ve reached 100th post here at this site, and if you can probably tell from my still-clumsy writing this is also my first 100 blogging ever. This isn’t much to be completely frank but it’s a milestone for me nonetheless, as there had been a fair amount of commitment for the last 8 months […]

vlSound Eupho 2 - 08

Sound! Euphonium 2 – 08 [Rhapsody in Flu]

This week, the show delivers one of my favorite Eupho moments: as Kumiko and Reina quietly listen to the Euphonium CD, enjoying that little moments when the music is playing with drama or conflict yet to come. This little moment and the firework sequence back in the first episode are Sound Eupho at their best. […]

mahou-shoujo-ikusei-keikaku-08-2

Magical Girl Raising Project – 08[Sudden Event In Session!]

Blessed be the peacemaker, for she ups the body count. I don’t think it’s a surprise that Winterprison ended up dying while protecting Nana. But it is surprising that she managed to take down one of the twin angels before getting taken out. All the more surprising considering that the angels didn’t get a flashback […]

drifters-07-2

Drifters – 07[Chaos Diver]

Considering this is the first clash the Drifters had with the ends things went rather smoothly. They managed to take one down and send the other one packing. This really is what Drifters is best act, balls to the wall action and insanity. Admittedly I wish the animation is better as it does rely on […]

vlc3-gatsu no Lion 07c

3-gatsu no Lion – 07 [Important Things. Important Matters – Teach Me How to Play Shogi]

Oh, the vitality of youth and first crush! It’s fun to see Hina’s under that crush spell and making a big fuss over Takahashi coming for dinner. As for Takahashi, he climbs up from being “an object of desire” from last few episode to a very straightforward and a bit serious boy now (anyone seen […]

Strange Frame 00

Strange Frame – Love & Sax (2012) Movie Review – 76/100

Thunderbolt Fantasy 05c

Thunderbolt Fantasy Review – 84/100

Orange - 01 2

orange Review – 73/100

What would you do if you receive letters from your future-self saying that you can change your future? That’s exactly what Naho experienced as she obtains ones from herself 10 years later that urge her to look after her new friend and prevent him from committing suicide. The premise, I agree, is hardly anything groundbreaking, […]

91 Days - 07 4

91 Days Review – 68/100

When taking up the job of checking out every anime season you really can starve for something different. Variety is the spice of life and yet the entertainment industry seems determined to give us more of the same. So in the sea of average high school students gaining superpowers and harems I see an anime […]

Mob Psycho 100 - 03 3

Mob Psycho 100 Review – 80/100

After the explosive popularity of One Punch Man it really was a high bar that another work of the author ONE had to reach. While it didn’t quite manage that it still differentiated itself enough to allow it to be a worthy anime of it’s own right. But admittedly that will depend on whether this […]

[HorribleSubs] Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 18 [480p].mkv_002253.373