Posted by psgels on 15 October 2007 with categories: Les Miserables - Shoujo Cosette

Holy! Flippin’! Heck!!!

Christ, I can’t believe the creators really went SO FAR IN THIS EPISODE!! I can’t believe what happened at the beginning of the episode. Obviously, it involves spoilers. DO NOT READ THIS ENTRY IF YOU HAVE NEITHER SEEN THE EPISODE NOR READ THE BOOK!!! This sentence is there to fill space in the blog aggregators.

Seriously… oh my god. I never expected the creators to actually kill off my favourite character of the entire series off so cruelly. This episode became utterly incredible because of it, but still… Eponine is really gone now… This was by FAR the best episode of the entire series. And with such an excellent series already, that HAS TO SAY SOMETHING.

I absolutely loved how Eponine managed to confess her love in the end at least. Not only was it great that she finally was released of the burden in her heart, but this also made Marius realize what he had done to her. In anime, love triangles are often forced, but the one between Cosette, Eponine and Marius was a mighty fine exception. It really featured perfect build-up and it used this build-up perfectly.

I seriously urge everyone to check out this series, and perhaps get some fansubbing group to sub beyond the fifth episode. With this episode, Les Miserables has really turned into one of the best series of the year, and it really shows the power of 52-episoded series.

And if that wasn’t enough, the upcoming attractions are looking really interesting too: Gavroche will finally meet Cosette again, and Javert has been unmasked as a spy.

(PS: apologies for the delay, but I’ve been really busy for the past days. You might expect more of these delays for the next few months. Still, this episode was SO worth the wait!)

1. Windspirit says:

Why the freaking hell doesn’t anybody subb this ??! Looks so great, exactly the type of series i LOVE, and yet, everybody’s too busy watching crap like harems or stupid stereotyped shonen.

2. Chris says:

I can’t even find RAWs for this anymore! :( I was wondering when the anime would reach this point and how’d you react to it (did you know at all? It’s a very huge part of the play) the musical version is also very sad at this part but I just want to see this anime version already!

World Masterpiece Theater anime never dissapoint, I suggest you watch their other shows if you can.

3. TheWestExit says:

Why it doesn’t get subbed:

-It’s a Shoujo series, or a show for little girls. Even though there’s alot of mature subject mature and the characters and plot have a metric bitch ton of development and depth, fansubbers are always reluctant to do historical shows and shoujo shows so combining them doesn’t help.

-The anime community isn’t well versed in classical literature historically and a show like this demands that there me a quality checker who is extremely knowledgeable in both the time period and the source material. This take more work than most groups are prepared or used to doing. Just look at a series like Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei, the Japanese in that is of a very high level so it requires alot of work to translate it, also it has all those awesome little comments.

-It’s not very popular. The fansub community is very needy for affection. Fansubbers want their work to be recognized by a group of people. There’s little incentive to sub a series that’ll have a very small, silent base.

I was looking forward to this alot, I’m a fan of Les Misérables, but oh well. I have to wait ’til it gets licenced and even that’s a very slim possibility.

4. Steven says:

DUDE….. i would never watch this series… why?

because no anime can truely remake this story. IF POSSIBLE, you should take a road trip to NEW YORK, and watch the musical there. Just titled Les Miserables, it is utterly incredible, better than any anime can ever recreate it. i actually have no idea why they would make it into an anime… plus it is unlike no other, the stage is actually a spinning stage, basically a big round disk spinning and it is amazing.

5. Hhmmm... says:

I truly want to watch this…seriously people only care for harem/shonen crap or worse kodomo no jikan

They should give this a chance, I doubt it will even get licenced

6. Nicholas says:

Eponine was my favorite character, too. D:

7. totoum says:

” IF POSSIBLE, you should take a road trip to NEW YORK, and watch the musical there. ”
    if not possible because you live on another continent what do you do?

now ureshii fansubs did the first 3 and then dropped it on july 15th but they posted this:
    “We are still interested in doing this series if any translator wants to do it. Just join our recruits channel (#ureshii-recruits@irc.rizon.net) and ask about it if you are interested. If not, Fantine will remain separated from Cossette, and you don’t want that do you?”
    then formula subs picked it up and posted this did the first 6 but havn’t released anything in nearly 2 months,still,they have this project listed as “active” so they havn’t given up but they’re short on staff “‘ll point this out again, but we are currently looking for a Typesetter and Translation Checker. Thank You”
    Not to mention that acording to the poll on their site,les miserable is the most liked of their projects,so there’s a demand.

if you can help,i think those 2 groups would certainly welcome you with open arms.

8. R says:

What continent are you on?

9. totoum says:

europe,and psgels is also in europe.

10. R says:

Well, Broadway isn’t the only option; there’s London, and a few places in Europe, although I’m not exactly sure where at the moment and I’d have to look it up.

11. TheWestExit says:

Or you could, y’know, read the book.

12. R says:

I think that goes without saying.

13. Tania says:

It IS really a sad episode!!! I’ve cried a lot!! I could’t help crying. She was the best character ever and didn’t want her to suffer. And I wonder why Cosette has a beautiful life whereas Eponine has to die. IT is NOT FAIR ! I wanted Marius be with her not with Cosette. She doesn’t deserve him , Eponine do. Marius is really an idiot not to choose Eponine . She’s the bravest and also the most beautiful character I’ve ever seen !!! So just why does he prefer Cosette? I’ve loved the character of Eponine from the very beginning, I’ve never preferred Cosette, so I want her to be happy!
    Well, since she had to die according to the book, she’ll definitely remain a heroine. Cosette won’t. She didn’t sacrifice herself for anyone.She just remain hidden in her mansion , safe from any danger. I wish Eponine could live in her beautiful house and have no problems at all with Marius who loves HER.
    But it was really an exceptionnal episode and the best ever even if it was unbearably sad. I just could’t take it anymore! When she recognized the voice of Gavroche or when she talked about Cosette. And that damn Marius could at least to say thanks cause she saved HIS LIFE!!!
    Well, anyway she ‘ll definitely remain alive in my heart and my imagination.

14. Chris says:

Oh I was sure a story very similiar to Cosette was out there, an old anime that showed on Mexican TV (and other countries but I viewed it on Mexican televsion) called Candy Candy, it’s said to be the best shoujo of all time according to a Japanese poll and has been dubbed in every language but english. You may want to look into the series because it almost exactly the same as Cosette (both are original but similiar in tone, setting, and characters)

15. R says:

Anyone who thinks Eponine is supposed to be pretty needs to read the book as an antidote to their confusion. Her family is desperately poor. She’s a petty thief, and possibly a hooker. Not the first choice of ideal spouses for someone of Marius’s social standing.

16. Irene says:

She’s also half-crazy in the book, which might be something of a deterrent. xD

17. Dookers says:

I’m pretty sure Eponine’s death wasn’t meant as a testimony to Cosette being a cruel heartless rat, Tania. First of all, back then it was considered improper for a young woman of the upper class/bourgeoisie(sp?) to go out in public by herself, and, at this pint, if she ran off to fight with Marius, Jean would probably think something was wrong with her, and she sems like the type who wouldn’t wanna upset her father in the slightest way. Second of all, I’m not a literary (or historical) scholar, but I see it as Eponine’s death and overall her crappy life (from the time Jean took Cosette away from the Thénardiers) was supposed to convey the message that the poor people in Paris didn’t usually get what/who they wanted/loved/dedicated their purpose in life to, and how little sympathy they got anyways.

(side note: For some reason or another, I became more attached to Sonozaki Shion from Higurashi as a figure of tragic unrequited love than to Eponine. It’d take a while to explain.)

But I’m gonna watch this episode to see how they handle Eponine’s death. It’s kinda strange what love does to people, I’ll say.

18. Tania says:

Actually I’ve read the book and I know that Eponine is described as an ugly young woman due to the poverty ( Cosette was described the same way when she was little and worked for the Thénardiers )who says curse words and is obviously a petty thief. I know she’s half crazy too (hard not to nocice it ).I have no doubt about it and I don’t need any antidote because I know exactly what it’s talking about. But I said she was really beautiful in the anime, I didn’t mean in the book . Maybe you think Cosette is prettier than Eponine , and you have the right to think it. I just gave my opinion .But you can’t say Eponine isn’t pretty in the anime. I can even prove it. Mabeuf in the 30th episode ( when she watered the flowers for him) said : utsukushi ojosama which means beautiful young woman and at the end I think the woman said kawai( I’m not sure) which means cute. I ‘ve seen lots of anime series but I found that Eponine was the most beautiful ever. Ever since she was little . I know she’s not supposed to be that way but she IS in this serie ( ANIME) , it’s a fact, you must admit that she’s far from being ugly. Even in rags, she remains really pretty. And I wanted to clarify one more thing. I don’t say Cosette is a cruel heartless rat . I just say that she’s not perfect. Nobody is . She makes mistakes too . I don’t blame her cause she hasn’t interfered in the revolution, I know perfectly well that she couldn’t. But according to the book, at the end she’ll leave her “father” who cared for her so much and can’t live without her. That wasn’t a good thing to do. What do you think? it wasn’t very kind of her .
    But that’s not the reason why I prefer Eponine.
    I just like her very much! I don’t know why , maybe because she has such a personality! I just love the way she is . I wanted her to be happy even if I knew that she dies in the book . Maybe I didn’t want to expect such cruelty from the creators. I just couldn’t keep it . Moreover, she’s particularly cute. I think the one who created this anime must have loved this character too.
    She’s not at all a half crazy ugly girl described in the book, that’s a good point. I haven’t nocided any sign of crazyness or ugliness in her. And you ? And I wanted to know if you think that Marius should have been more grateful to her ? Because I do . That’s just a question not an offense.

19. Tania says:

Sorry, when I mentioned Mabeuf saying Eponine was beautiful in the episode 30th , it was a mistake. Actually IT IS in the 32nd . When she watered the plants . But I was very tired when I wrote it , it was the night. And I spent the whole day at school and had a test( 5 hours of philosophy!).
    Sorry again.

20. Sarah says:

You should watch before posting spoilers, Tania, because psgels hasn’t read the book and doesn’t know what’s going to happen XD

And I do agree with what you’re saying, but honestly, I feel that the anime-Marius was a lot kinder to Eponine than the Marius in the book. In the book he barely cared she was dying…he was too busy reading Cosette’s letter and thinking about his darling Cosette to care

21. Broked Foot says:

We at Delicious Fansubs have always been willing to take this project the full way, but our translator went missing in action shortly after our last release without a word, and lacking a translator there’s not really much that we can do.

22. R says:

1) I can think of other women in anime who are definitely prettier. I’m not crazy about all the character designs in this series.

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

A

C

E

2) She doesn’t really leave her father, it’s much more the other way around. He feels uncomfortable in the Gillenormands’ home and doesn’t spend much time there, despite her efforts to convince him. He walks out of her wedding dinner. Plus Marius is uncomfortable with him after that one conversation and pushes him away further.

23. Irene says:

SPOILER ALERT!

Personally, I’m inclined to agree with R. Valjean’s often described as viewing himself as Marius’s rival for Cosette’s affections, and after Cosette is married he doesn’t really see a need to remain any longer. That said, if we’re going to blame anyone for Valjean’s isolation at the end of the book, we should probably look at Marius, who was definitely rather chilly toward him after he learned of Valjean’s past.

24. Tania says:

Response to Sarah .
    I agree with what you said too, the anime-Marius is really kinder to Eponine than in the book. He acts much like her friend . In the book, he obviously avoids her even knowing that his happyness is due to her and don’t care about her death. In the anime, he doesn’t want her to die and keep saying ” hold on !”

25. Tania says:

Response to R
    Eponine is a petty thief in the book but she IS NOT a hooker. And especially in this serie. Don’t talk about her that way! Her love for Marius is pure. I think that besides Toron , and she was very little by the time, Marius is her first and only love ( and the last one too). If it wasn’t, she would not have died for him. Even in the book, she acts like a child sometimes and I just can’t imagine her to look at other men. Besides, she lives with her parents by the time she meets Marius and her only real company seems to be Azelma. Even if she often has to face the gang of her father ( “the Patrominet”).

• Selene says:

She’s not a hooker, persay, but she was involved in prostitution of sorts. She was also the mistress of Montparnasse, which isn’t mentioned in the anime, but is in the book. That’s why Montparnasse is always referring to himself as Thenardier’s son in law. Thoug i can’t remember if thats in the anime either. Though i agree with you. Her love is as pure and as real as cosette’s easily.

26. R says:

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

Her only love? Um, it’s made pretty clear that she sleeps with Montparnasse, at the very least.

Another opportunity of laying hands on that “devil’s dandy” must be waited for. Montparnasse had, in fact, encountered Eponine as she stood on the watch under the trees of the boulevard, and had led her off, preferring to play the lover with the daughter rather than the crook with the father. It was well that he did so. He was free. (Slightly paraphrased.)

27. Tania says:

If she slept with Montparnasse and loved him too then why did she give her life to save Marius ? Moreover, even if it’s possible in the book SHE WOULD NEVER DO SO IN THE ANIME. Well just look at her! She’s honest in her feelings for Marius and upright. Well, actually I found Montparnasse kind of handsome in this serie , well, maybe she should have fallen in love with him , at least she (maybe) wouldn’t have died but she didn’t fall in love with him. Feelings can’t be explained. Anyway, I don’t agree with you on that point. Eponine is for me a symbol of purity. A fallen angel. And she’s too proud to act that way. She has always been so proud of herself. Try to remember her childhood. So it’s just impossible. It doesn’t fit at all with her character.

• Selene says:

Well, she is far from purity. She is kinda like fantine in the way that she was also a prostitute, and only did what she did for money, but despised it at the same time. And she didn’t really have feelings for Montparnasse, but she was his mistress. And she became desperate when she was poor. But this might not be true in the anime, however it was 100% true in the book

28. Tania says:

29. R says:

Anyway, I don’t agree with you on that point.

Take it up with Victor Hugo, then. She does indeed sleep with Montparnasse.

30. Irene says:

Hugo implies that Eponine sleeps with Montparnasse, not that she loves him. There’s a difference.

In any case, bookverse!Eponine leads Marius to the barricades because she hopes he’ll die there. She tried to kill him because she knew she couldn’t have him and only saves his life at the end because part of her regrets her actions. She’s petty and childish and emotionally stunted, and a far cry from the idealized gamine you seem to be describing.

(It’s spelt Patron-Minette, by the way.)

31. Tania says:

Alright, I get it. By the way, I know why she said to Marius to go to the barricades ( it wasn’t precised in the anime , only in the book ) but even it is her fault that he happened to be there, it was quite brave from her to get the bullet which was intented for him. Don’t you think ? And even if she slept with Montparnasse it doesn’t really change my opinion about her. Sleeping with Montparnasse doesn’t mean she’s a hooker. Then her love for Marius changed her. True love can really change people’s life. Remember, she used to say curse words before she met Marius! At the end, she reminds me of the little mermaid who would rather die herself than live knowing she’s responsible of his death. At first, she thinks she may be able to kill the prince to save her own life but she realizes that she just can’t do it. There’s something like that in the way she dies. She’s quite unstable in the book, for example when she refuses the money Marius gives her in exchange for leading him to the place Cosette lives in. She just throws it back to him and it falls on the ground. And when she hears Gavroche singing she says : ” Don’t say him I’m here .If you do, he’s going to scold me .” It was indeed a sign of crazyness. But what I’m saying is that she is idealized in the anime. Don’t you think so? I’m quite sure she is! She doen’t speak at all like a half-crazy girl. They made her this way and it is obvious right away. There’s something different if we compare her to her character in the book. What do you think ? I started to watch this serie nearly one year ago and I loved the way she’s described there even if I like very much her character in the book too. I’m not the one who imagines her perfect because they represented her that way in the serie.

32. angedemystere says:

Well, from what I’ve seen from the earlier episodes, the anime portrays young Eponine as a spoiled brat (mostly due to the way her parents raised her and treated Cosette), so the creators probably wanted her to seem more sympathetic now that she’s dirt poor and wandering in the streets, so we don’t say, “Ha, she got what she deserved!” The truth is, Eponine has a heart, she’s just lived in a very bad environment all her life. The anime creators probably thought it best to make that more obvious, however, by making her more physically and in other ways appealing.

By the way, the hooker issue comes from the fact that Thernadier hired out Eponine as a prostitute to bring in some extra money. Sadly, child prostitution was a real problem in those days. But if you were extremely poor, you had to do what you had to do. Morally wrong? Of course, but people sometimes resort to stealing in the same situation. (i.e. Valjean!) Of course, they do not include Eponine’s prositution in the anime. (I don’t even know how much they emphasize it in the book.) Come on, if they didn’t have Fantine become a prostitute . . .

33. Tania says:

Yeah, I quite agree with you when you say that Eponine grew up in a very bad environment all her live. First of all , she’s actually never been a brat, she would have remained nice towards Cosette if her mother didn’t interfere in their relationship and didn’t treat Cosette like some kind of a tramp dog. Remember after her mother’s departure, she’s the one who proposed to Cosette to go and play with her and Azelma in their room. But the mother had other projects for this poor child. And children always act like their parents , they would never turn against them ( well, there’re some exeptions like Gavroche but it’s because he wasn’t loved by his mother so it’s not likely ). So they’d rather turn against Cosette. I could never blame Eponine for not being at Cosette’s side. Because I’m sure I would do the same if I had her parents. As a child, my parents were an example for me. Would you rather be at the side of a girl you know practically nothing or at your parents’. It’s an easy answer, don’t you think ? And besides, haven’t you noticed she has always been so kind with everybody exept Cosette . She just can’t stand her and I believe she thinks Cosette steals away every boy she loves. Which is actually true. Cosette doesn’t seem to realize herself the pain she’s been always bringing Eponine. She made her suffer more than anybody else in spite of herself. But I suppose she’s never realized it. Well, anyway, I’ve always considered Eponine like a very good person who didn’t have the chance to have good parents . So, even as a child, I loved what she was like. And besides, poors were so often treated the way Cosette has been that it’s just sounds kinda normal for those days. And, back then, Eponine and Azelma were just children. All children could be cruel . They’re not an exception. But to give her life for her loved one is truely an exception. That really shows the kind of person who is really Eponine ( without considering her parents): someone with a great and big heart. When she loves someone she’s able to give her live for him. And she even protected Cosette against her father knowing she’s the one Marius loved. She didn’t have to but she did. And that’s what makes her even more exeptionnal in my eyes! Besides, when she was dying she had regrets she’s never been too close to Gavroche. And that’s what stroke me the most. I realized even better that her parents ( most of all her father but her mother too) were responsible of everything. And yes, she’s just the best character ever for me!

34. Daniel says:

Ummm… yes, Eponine was implied to be a child prostitute in the novel… When she first speaks to Marius she was sent to deliver a message and prostitute herself. The line that says something like “she looked at the unmade bed with a quiet sureness that chilled the heart”. You honestly think that Thenardier, being as low and villainous as he is wouldn’t sell his daughters’ bodies for a few shillings… They were STARVING and already stealing to make ends meet.

35. angedemystere says:

I think the reason Eponine is so appealing to a large number of fans is because most people in general like flawed characters who to some degree redeem themselves in the end. And it is especially heartbreaking when said character meets a tragic end, and it makes us wish that things had turned out differently for him or her. We appreciate a character’s flaws because they make a person realistic and human, but we also savor the hope for their redemption, and their good qualities are even more significant to us.

I think that despite the physical appearance he allotted her, Hugo wanted to portray Eponine as a very sympathetic character. He had a general sympathy for all poverty-strickened women, including prostitutes. And, like many romantics, he had her redemption come through love, which really is its ultimate form. The saddest part was that her love was not returned, and although we can understand why Marius was not attracted to her (and, in truth, somewhat repulsed by her), we are still upset by it. Well, some more than others, I suppose. ^^,

Okay, end of philosophical rant.

• Selene says:

People seem to not think of this, so i applaud you for saying this. This is what I’m constantly trying to tell people who don’t understand why i like eponine. I like her for her flaws.

36. Tania says:

Yes in the book Eponine is described as repulsing but Marius COULD NEVER be repulsed by her in the anime . She’s so beautiful !!! Come on! she’s a thouthand times more beautiful than Cosette here!!!

37. David says:

I agree with you. Cossette unfortunately does not seem to be a person in real life. Eponine sounds more realistic than Cossette can ever be. Cossette seems to be like a useless fairy tales princess that needs to be protected 24/7. If Jean dies and she did not meet Marius than she would surely strave on the street, unlike Eponine and Gravoche.

38. Fanny says:

Oh, dear!!! I say the same!!! WHY?!!! EPONINE?!!! Eponine’s my favorite character, too.

39. Elle says:

Eponine’s Love is the Truest Form.

Who knew she was capable of such,

All her life she wants to be the centre of

everything.

The abuse and hard living with her family.

For Eponine, Marius is life and love

Her only Hope.

She gave her life for him.

The greatest sacrifice of a True Lover.

very happy with two last episodes of RE:Creators, though I am not happy with the Yuya cope-out. Virgin Soul remains sweet.
I made it to DC! Reflection and Ranbu comin up soon!
@K-off: Where you particularly far into that manga? Also what was its title? Also I've noticed that rape/quasi-rape =woman becoming attracted has been around in Japanese film even in the 60s.
Well fuck, getting NTR'd out of nowhere in a romance manga sure does feel like an insult, much less a tremendous waste of time. I really should look into whether or not a manga has ntr before I start reading it.
Ah, dominion tank police and AD police, reminding me of my genuinely love of the anime medium.
@Mario, So that was you. I was thinking maybe it was bot of some sort. Accepted the request so you can try sending me something again.
@Aidan: Btw, did you receive my Skype message? I was kicked out from the old Skype account so I had to make a new one and I sent you some texts but not sure if you've recieved it
Well, we're half way of the season already so I might stick with Youkoso. But it's telling that even after watching its episode I don't bother to write up about it... I will give Gamers a full review thou when it ends.
@Aidan: which is great (that they have forgotten about the gaming aspect. Normally, I disapprove of miscommunication in romance/drama but they play it for laugh x 5 times it's rather outrageous, in a good way.
You could drop Youkoso for Gamers you know. I could tell you are not very much into it and I admitly feel like I overestimated it. It at least tries to be above usual light novel fare but is still kinda meh.
@Mario, for some odd reason I kept watching Gamers and it really has forgotten about the whole gaming aspect. It's literally all about the messed up love pentagram now. These people have worse communication disorders than Komi does.
hmmm, anime convention will happen around my place tomorrow. When I say "around my place" it's 3 hours away so I'm not sure if I will come down there. Don't feel really excited to go to be honest.
OMG, Gamers escalates to the whole new labyrinth of misunderstandings... and I'm digging it. I should've blogged this one instead. Amen
@Lenlo, Nioh is something I am going to get to playing soon. Though first I will be getting through Horizon.
Nioh was phenomenal. Was different from Dark Souls in all the right ways.
Your right, there have been so many great games: Zelda, Nier, Horizon, Nioh, as well as the upcoming Mario are all instant classics, and besides that there have been a bunch of other solid fun games like Sonic, Splatoon, Pyre etc.
@Mario: Really just sit down and watch it kind of film.
@Mario: I just got back from Ancien and magic tablet/napping princess/hirune hime/whatever its title. In brief, the fantasy scenes are the highlight and its cute, charming family adventure anime film with alot of heart/endearment, runs on kind of too long and could have had more of a story though.
It says something in a year of great videogames when I can really recommend a Sonic game. Sonic Mania is a good platformer, with great control, charming visuals, great music and level design that feels more readable than the last games I've played in this series.
@Mario, Pres and delinquent girl is my favourite but I still hope the Kuudere couple shows up. This week was hilarious with the little sister trying to get back at her brother's girlfriend only for the girlfriend to know it was her immediately and start screwing around.
Mine is Takurou - Chizuru (the red hair boy and orange hair girl in this week's last segment. Maybe because I have a penchant for weird girl :/
Tsurezure Children... makes my heart melted again. Those who still watch it, who are your favorite couples?
@Kaiser: and I will give you a review on... new spiderman movie or whatever. My friend drags me to watch it with her tonight, and I haven't watched any spiderman installment since the one in 2007. Well, whatever...
@Mario: I will review Hirune-hime tomorrow night hopefully. Also I have seen all his ghost in the shell work, Moribito and Eden of the east but never Cyborg 009 .
This was a long time ago however.
I can remember my dads car got its window smashed then stolen, twice =<
@Kaiser Insurance by itself won't hold you back at all, but getting a new car certainly will. The down payment alone will set you back a couple grand and you likely won't pay off the car for about 2-4 years.
@Aidan Jeez, my condolences. @Kaiser Auto insurance covers most accidents and the rates won't go up so long as it's not your fault and you have evidence to prove it (like a dashcam).
Financially will it particularly hold you back on things like rent, etcetera?
But in all seriousness, that is one of the big reasons I haven't learned to drive, fear of that kind of thing happening, actually I think that might put me off driving if it happened to me.
The car incident is an obvious assassination attempt and conspiracy . Easily avoidable by investing in transport by Dragon .
@K-Off, Lightly hit the side of a Van coming out of T junction. Left light smashed,front bumper and bonnet damaged. Gotta pay for that and the vans side door.
@Aidan Ouch. What happened to it?
Yep. Crimson red. Maybe I was tempting fate.
@Aidan: you should blame your car because it's new and shiny it's more accident prone than others. Did you mention your car is red??
Man isn't it great having a new car. It's also great when you crash your new car and now have to pay hefty repair fees. Fantastic. No injuries or anything but it's going to be a pain to repair.
Princess Principal write-up will have to wait this time tomorrow guys. Sorry for those who wait but nothing can stand a chance against my madness for Monogatari now
I still have a bunch of old anime vhs tapes in my attic yes, would take forever to list though.
movies4life
What to say about "one punch man" ?
movies4life
You have still VHS tapes as well in your anime collection ? (me 40)
Hard to believe I've been at this anime/manga thing since I was 11 and am now in my 30s.
@Boukensha: for this site specifically most of us are like you. On and off with anime; burnt out, move on with life and back again... this why I believe the readers who read this site are slightly older than your average anime audience there.
OldManBoukensha
I think I'll call myself OldManBoukensha. Hope the name sticks (this is the anonyperson)
OldManBoukensha
Thanks for the recommendations @SuperMario and @Kaiser-Eoghan san! Sometimes feels surreal how time has flown, started watching anime and discovered psgels in uni... fast forward 12 years and I hit 30 this year. lots of great memories, eagerly waiting for blog posts for favourite animes like mushishi, seirei no moribito, FMA. ah good times. Thank you for taking the baton and keeping it lively :)
... and it's never too late to set up your permanent username now :)
@Anon1329673: if you had to pick up 1 show this season, then yes Made in Abyss. I'd also recommend Princess Principal as well. For slice of life office, Shirobako? There's a show running this season from the creators of Shirobako, not neccessary set in an office place but they are about adult working as well; the name is Sakura Quest
@Anon: Hataraki man perhaps?
whenever I visit here I wish I had picked a permanent username. been reading psgels since 2005 :)
and do you know of any slice of life office life anime to recommend? I loved fune wo amu from last season. melancholic yet intimate, bittersweet anime
Hey guys, what's the best show running this season? Seems to me Made in Abyss ? If I had to pick up one show, which one would you recommend?
@Mario That's the most common method of getting compromised nowadays, even a lot of youtubers got their channels hacked because of vulnerabilities with the phone carriers.
So naturally, Reflection and Ranbu will be delayed tomorrow because of a move. Last for abit. I promise. Hectic time :P
alright, 18if down. Now's the time that I've been looking for this season. Go watch Owari nowwww
Yep, the author laid out how he wanted it to end before he died. Can't say how the new guy did as the English translation of the novels has not caught up that far.
@Aidan: These were presumably written from notes left behind by the author? Is there a disconnect in quality between the non-original author novels and the ones he wrote?
Also the Familiar of Zero novels are better than the anime. Now, not shakespeare but the anime did not really adapt them well. The novels took the plot a little more seriously while the anime went full slapstick with it.
@Kaiser, I was talking about the novels, not the anime. Someone jumped in to write the last two novels.
Of course things have changed, its been so many years since I saw the initial seasons, I couldn't tell if I'd still care.
Didn't really work in familiar of zeros case though , third and fourth seasons were a decline.
A famous example was Itazura na kiss, author died from having stuff collapse on her , anime finished the story.
@Anon, Likely not now that the author is dead. There are some occasions where people jump in to complete the work like Familer of Zero but in most cases it is just left unfinished.
@Movies, Watched about ten episodes and then just never got back to it. I thought it was alright.
@Amagi, Indeed. Hopefully they won't be around that much.
Apocrypha is pretty good when the MCs aren't around
@Movies: Yes, stopped after he got the powerup and then the manga went on a long hiatus, I liked the art though, the anime was tedious though, filler-y and censored.
movies4life
You guys remember d.Gray-man ?
...I think one of the two working on highschool of the deads manga died/
@anon1327403: funny that you mentioned Highschool of the Dead because I'm planning to watch that one real soon. But to answer your question, as far as I am aware of, no, there isn't any announcement regarding the new adaptation.
Does anyone know if High School of the Dead will ever be picked up by another person
I'm still watching stuff though, just finished the Cobra ovas last night, fun camp in the flash gordon/Barbarella vein, though it misses the soundtrack from the old 80s version.
I love a good Bond type spy thingnow and then but I'd LOVE to see a more serious anime take on the genre.
If kakegurui is enjoyable in the same way a trash-exploitation film is I could see myself watching .
Count me in for those who weren't happy with the progress of abyss' manga.
Then again my gaming days are long long in the past for the most part. The humour in gamers would just turn me off now, I've lost interested in most anime comedy.
I was aware of ANN being down, for the most part I really only skimmed their articles. I wish sega would just put Sonic down, its been on decline for so long.
@KTravlos: have fun with whatever you doing in the next 10 days mates. And if you have time, sample Princess Principal as well
I will be off the net the next 10 days, so sorry if I do not answer any replies etc. Have a good time all! See you later.
took the hiatus of my shows as a chance to sample the current season. Saw first episodes of Kakeguiri, Abyss, and Altair. Kakeguiri and Abyss really did have great first episodes, that grab you. Altair was a bit too old-fashioned, but I will probably continue watching it. Kakeguiri had excellent OP and ED, while Abyss had in general great music. And yeah, you guys were not kidding about beauty
And I still enjoy Gamers thoroughly. Not sure if it can keep up with the misunderstanding mess about relationships from the main cast but so far the show is hilarious
so now I know about why ANN did not work. @Holystockings yes, again I should detest it for many things it has, but they pulled it off and I like it.
Holystockings
I'll be honest here. I would have never guessed that Kakegurui would have been this good.
@AidanAK47 This year there have been a lot of good games. Too many to play seriously. I do wonder how deliberations would be since more than scores or genres I don't feel a all out winner, more than different games excelling at different things.
So finally finished Kado, and I have to say I am not a fan of the shark jump.
Really? Had no idea about the news network site
Also too many games coming this month. SubaHibi, Sonic Mania and Ys Seven. Not to mention cold steel now out. I still need to get blood orange complete and in comes a small, medium and two extra large time sinks.
And in other news Voltorn season three is out but only seven episodes long. With another fourth season coming in October which is 6 episodes long. I wonder why Netflix are spilting up seasons like this?
So, not sure if anyone has heard this or not but the Anime News Network site has been hacked. Hence why you can no longer access it.
@Mario: blancanieves was modern silent take on snow white, a different spin on the story.
@Mario: Fun fact, Mitchum appears in a cameo in the cape fear remake.
ha, I wouldn't mind seeing a gag in a comedy manga series where they did a silent throwback episode.
The expressionist visuals of some of those silent films appeal to me.
My only issue with maddin is that he is hard to marathon, that style as unique and funny as it is only works in small doses.
La Antenna was another good example of modern silent filmaking. Annnnd, this one is SUPER obscure/rare: http://hawkmenblues.blogspot.ie/2013/11/yumemiru-yoni-nemuritai-kaizo-hayashi.html
It's like this: The Artist gets the "look" of silent film, but Guy Maddin's works get the "feel" of it
I can remember Mitchum was in an underated remake of the big sleep...
...though you could really tell even just from listening to him speak he was a pothead.
@Kaiser: I agree with you that Guy Maddin's works are more of a representative of neo-silent than the Artist (the Artist is just so... wide-appealing for my taste. It tries to please everyone). I always feel that Maddin is born in a wrong era. Had he born in the silent era he'd definately be a legend.
@Kaiser: I don't blame the audience from the 50s who didn't get the film. I didn't quite get it the first time either but the film just keep growing on me. I remembet Robert Mitchum in his noir detective role as well, most notably his role in Out of the Past. The lead girl in that movie has a very typical femme fatale look as well, which mean she's gorgeous
@Mario: I've been looking into Guy Maddin's work, its occasionally funny in an absurdist way and alot of the appeal comes from how strange his films are, while I think that film the artist was a good take on silent films, Maddins tributes to silent film are far more successful.
@Mario: People weren't ready for night of the hunter in the 50s, one of those baffling situations that it flopped when originally released, frustratingly that director never got to work again. For me I think that was one of Robert Mitchum's best roles, along with his one in Cape fear.
Ahhh, clumsy finger. Whatever...
*Diary kf the Country Priest of course
Should get into Diry of the Countey Priest soon, but consider it's Bresson's movie I have no doubt it'll be hard to swallow. Also the priest in The Night of the Hunter
@Mario: =) All priest films quiver before the might of Diary of the country priest, Nazerin and Winter light.
@Kaiser: in the same vein with Spotlight, right? 2016 wasn't a good year for priest in movies it seems
Oh, that guy also directed El Club, I liked that one, seriously grim story about exiled priests.
@movies4life: Gin no Guardian is a bif meh for me.
I watched No at the time of its release. Good watch although I don't remember much of it now. Not only they have the same actors as Neruda, those films are directed from the same director. This fude also directed Jackie last year that star Nayalie Portman as the First Lady
@Movies: The other Chinese anime attempts aren't any better I hear.
movies4life
Watch in a day the whole season of Gin no Guardian. Is have so much potential in story and animation but somehow something missing. maybe is just for growing up Kids
@Anon, Like SAO season 2 then. Myself and a friend tried to watch that for the sole reason of taking the piss out of it. Ended up not finishing it because there wasn't anything to take the piss out of because barely anything happened each episode and it was so boring that we couldn't take it anymore.
I have seen "The Secret in their Eyes". A good film. I do recommend "Neruda", and the film "No" which as some of the same actors.
People thought they were 'ironically' watching a bad movie until they realized the movie's so bad it can't even be enjoyed on an ironic level.
I am not surprised that the Emoji movie is bad. But I am quite astonished that people seem to be surprised that it's bad.
Gah, I would hate that, having to put up with a kid in cinemas, having to see , having to financially benefit some anti-art film like that.
movies4life
and i watch Emoji with my daughter....I fall asleep
Secret in the eyes remake was pretty much pointless.
Anon-The virgin witch
I am entirely too old to place any care or importance on whether I sleep with someone or not/ever.
I am entirely too far behind to catch up on monogatari.
I enjoy the surrealism that is present in some Latin filmaking. As for secret in their eyes, its got that great stadium scene and twist later on, though some of the exchanges between actors/characters seemed awkward, overall while I liked it, it felt like an extended tv episode.
I'm also looking forwards to listen to their new OPs. Mnogatari's soundtrack is the only anime soundtrack that I bought a physical CD. Still listen to all those songs quite frequently
Since it is confirmed that there'll be 7 episodes, I think it'll be: Mayoi Hell (2 episodes), Hitagi Rendezvous (2), Ougi Dark (3)
So Owarimonogatari will air in 2 days. I honestly don''t know how I should review it (by episode? by each arc? by day? Rating or not?) but dang I'm gonna review it.
You can try another Latin American film, The Secret in Their Eyes (not the REMAKE one). There was a 10 minutes unbroken (CGI) shot that follow the leads in the football stadium to look for their suspect. Quite impressive
@KTravlos: I missed my chance to watch Neruda when it was screening in my local cinema; but I've heard good things about the film. People said it's an unconventional but effective biopic film. The more I watch Latin American cinema, the more I feel the unique charm from the area that I don't feel anywhere else.
Still, weird manga because its kind of increasingly obvious that the people behind Nana are the bad guys .-. They are just overly sinister.
So skipped third chapter and just read fourth chapter of Talentless Nana. Ok, seems like it might have more of hook now? Villain protagonist vs hero antagonist?(who also can't be killed off first because they are immortal, so she would need to figure out how to deal with him first)
@Anon. Nobody cares mate.

@SuperMario. Hey I watched Neruda last week. It was interesting. Have you seen it?
@Anon, Well we can all make up imaginary sexploits, it's not really something worth bragging about. Perhaps fanfiction would be a better outlet?
I enjoy posting on obscure anime blog chat boxes about my sexploits. ᕕ( ⏒ ロ ⏒ )ᕗ
movies4life
Just watch Ajin both seasons and not sure ...good or just ok
Just watch Ajin both seasons and not sure ...good or just ok
I'm also as of now noticing this Isekai trend. And to be honest the most disappointing aspect for me, is how formulaic the worlds are. This is also a complain in RPGs. But I don't get how like 7 or more of this, feels like the setting could be the same world. I don't know, I just think there should be ways to make each feel more unique.
I went to Chicago and bought a Switch and lots of manga. I was happy with my choices. Murcielago is a violent buddy cop. Delicious Dungeon is a creative take on a dungeon crawler setting and funny. The 7th garden is a well composed manga, if anything a good example for sequential art reference. I also read several chapters of Mushoku Tensei, which is Isekai but heck it did made me care.
It's like the difference between reading Konosuba and watching Konosuba. I read the novels up to date and while it's fine it's like reading the script to a comedy skit. It's not nearly as entertaining as seeing it in action. The animation and actors just added so much more to it.
@Puran, I actually agree with you on that. I read the manga before watching the anime and couldn't really get into it. However I felt that things would change when seeing it animated and indeed it did. Currently I would place the anime adaption above it's source material.
3000 Leagues in Search of Mother
Puran
@Anon, thank you for the update on your sex life.

In other news, I read the manga for Made in Abyss and I didn't really like it...? Felt kinda boring and soulless? While the anime seemed to have some sort of magic and wonder. It kinda spoiled my enjoyment of the Anime. I think I'll drop it for a while and marathon it later to let the bad taste from my mouth subside.
@Anon, That's virgin talk.
Anonymous1320940
my girlfriend is coming back home and I am so looking forward to getting my cock sucked again. Sex starved since Wednesday
@K-off: Genuinely missed Tsugumi when her character got the axe.
Getting the made in abyss post up tonight but it looks like the other two are going to have to wait. Kakegurui's sixth episode will be airing this week and Fate's episode won't be subbed until friday. I will see if I can get secondhand subs to do a writeup but I would prefer to watch it with UTW subs.
The spin-offs are actually a good read because it's essentially similar to the opening few chapters of the main story.
Ah seoul station, that director (or at least the animator) has done some other animated films that I've yet to get round to.
@K-off: Maybe a sequel or more spinoffs planned? I've not read any of the spinoff come to think of it.
The film was interesting, but I remember I watched it after Train to Busan and its animated prequel so I found it lacking in comparison.
I'll just say that the manga does not end climatically nor in any interesting way. It ends up focusing on a new set of characters near the end (what kind of writer thinks that's a good idea?) and rushes the MC's story.
The film adaptation of I am a hero is better than it has any right to be.

Kakegurui- 07[Refusing Woman]

Today on Kakegurui, we see the end of the bet and well…that’s it. This post may have the same problem as my Attack on Titan posts in that I just don’t have a lot to say here because not a lot actually happened. Mary refused the student council president’s offer to join the student council […]

Katsugeki Touken Ranbu – 8 [Protect History]

This was perhaps the best week yet for Ranbu. There are no flashy fights or new enemies, but there is a lot of characterization and quiet moments. Lets jump in. Ranbu starts this week right after the 1st Units victory of the unnamed Retrograde soldier. Honebami does some fawning over the units strength, before being […]

Ballroom e Youkoso – 07 [Tenpei Cup]

I spent the majority of the previous review breaking down a single scene, so let’s play catch-up for a bit. This episode features the Tenpei Cup, an annual event held by some rich dance enthusiast. Despite not being an official competition, the stakes are high: if the fledgling pair of Tatara and Mako can outplace […]

Princess Principal – 07 [Case 16 Loudly Laundry]

This week in Princess Principal … what exactly did I just watch? Suddenly spies do (steampunk) laundry and do business as well? Getting 231% raised in revenue and catch a thief in a process? That’s a bit of a stretch here. And who in the right mind would think it’s a good idea for a […]

Re:Creators – 18 [All of Us Are Incomplete]

One of the major gripes I have with this series is its uneven presentation that has far too much exposition while lacking in the action department. In the eighteenth episode, it finally found its footing in balancing the exploratory themes of creativity, action scenes and comedic bits in a seamless transition as Re:Creators successfully sustain […]

18if – 07 [And now There are none…]

This episode is one of the reason why I am glad that I’m still putting my faith on 18if, an episode that displays a complete different range of visual style, and a satisfying children’s story about friendship as a cherry on top. There’s a lot to love here, from the beautiful aesthetic that heavily influenced […]

Shoukoku no Altair – 05 [The City of the Lighthouse]

After a three-week break, Shoukoku no Altair returned today with an episode reminiscent more of its first three than its last. If you’ve been reading these posts for the last couple months, you’ll know that’s not a good thing, at least from where I’m sitting. We were awash in exposition and timeskips again this time […]

Classroom of the Elite – 06 [There are Two Kinds of Lies; One concerns an Accomplished Fact, the Other concerns a Future Duty]

Youkoso embraces its true nature this week, pulling off some resolves that are pulpy, but clean up nicely the conflicts they present this episode. With episode 6, not only class-D settles the accusation from class-C; they set up, and quickly resolve, Sakura’s stalking issues and gives a much-needed concern regarding Ayanokouji’s own agenda behind his […]

Re:Creators – 17 [The Rain’s Rhythm Shoots Down on the World’s Roof]

If you are still remaining faithful to Re:Creators over the course of months on end, then this is the episode where all the buildups and exposition pays off in dividends with the grand opening of the ‘Elimination Chamber Festival’. Characters with long standing grudges square off, insert songs being played back-to-back, and Studio TROYCA really […]

Castlevania Season 1 Review – 70/100

Upon hearing that Castlevania would be getting an animated TV series my first reaction was that of unpleasant surprise. Part of the reason was because of the video games infamous history with adapting their stories to other mediums but my main reason was that being familiar with the Castlevania games, I knew the story was […]

Tsuki ga Kirei (Spring 2017) Review – 88/100

It’s hard for me not to go overboard on Tsuki ga Kirei: out of all the show I’ve followed this season, I resonated the most to this one; but even when I’m judging this show objectively, Tsuki ga Kirei is one of the most perfect one, in a way that it achieved exactly what it […]

Seikaisuru Kado Review 51/100

Seikaisuru Kado was a title which caught my attention for a number of reasons. For one it’s visuals showed not a single teenager in sight and a cast mainly consisting of working adults. Another is that it deals with a premise not often tackled in anime, Philosophical Science Fiction. The story features an alien being […]

ID-0 (Spring 2017) Review – 81/100

Here comes one of the most under-appreciated anime of this Spring season. ID-0 has many hassles that keeps viewers away from watching it: Netflix exclusive, full CG animation and a plot that just plain weird and a bit incomprehensive at first view. I originally took it as nothing more than fun spooky little-seen show until […]

Grimoire of Zero (Spring 2017) Review – 77/100

I remember, back in our first impression of this series, Aidan remarked that Grimoire of Zero isn’t your typical LN-adaptations, but he didn’t know what to make of it. To be honest, after watching an entire cour, I’m still unsure what to make of it myself. This show has some serious flaws, yet despite all […]

Uchoten Kazoku Review – 94/100

(Note: Since psgels didn’t give his final review to the first season, this review is for the entirety of Eccentric Family. If I had to grade the second season alone, it’s 90/100). Doesn’t matter how you look at it, the Eccentric Family is a unique show, in a way it feels and tastes like no […]

Little Witch Academia TV Review – 80/100

The Little Witch Academia series has been something that’s a long time coming. Ever since Studio Trigger made the original Anime OVA back in 2013 I have been hotly anticipating the time when it would be fleshed out into it’s own anime series. I love both the original OVA and the enchanted Parade so this […]

Window Horses (2016) Movie Review – 87/100