Posted by psgels on 15 October 2007 with categories: Les Miserables - Shoujo Cosette

Holy! Flippin’! Heck!!!

Christ, I can’t believe the creators really went SO FAR IN THIS EPISODE!! I can’t believe what happened at the beginning of the episode. Obviously, it involves spoilers. DO NOT READ THIS ENTRY IF YOU HAVE NEITHER SEEN THE EPISODE NOR READ THE BOOK!!! This sentence is there to fill space in the blog aggregators.

Seriously… oh my god. I never expected the creators to actually kill off my favourite character of the entire series off so cruelly. This episode became utterly incredible because of it, but still… Eponine is really gone now… This was by FAR the best episode of the entire series. And with such an excellent series already, that HAS TO SAY SOMETHING.

I absolutely loved how Eponine managed to confess her love in the end at least. Not only was it great that she finally was released of the burden in her heart, but this also made Marius realize what he had done to her. In anime, love triangles are often forced, but the one between Cosette, Eponine and Marius was a mighty fine exception. It really featured perfect build-up and it used this build-up perfectly.

I seriously urge everyone to check out this series, and perhaps get some fansubbing group to sub beyond the fifth episode. With this episode, Les Miserables has really turned into one of the best series of the year, and it really shows the power of 52-episoded series.

And if that wasn’t enough, the upcoming attractions are looking really interesting too: Gavroche will finally meet Cosette again, and Javert has been unmasked as a spy.

(PS: apologies for the delay, but I’ve been really busy for the past days. You might expect more of these delays for the next few months. Still, this episode was SO worth the wait!)

1. Windspirit says:

Why the freaking hell doesn’t anybody subb this ??! Looks so great, exactly the type of series i LOVE, and yet, everybody’s too busy watching crap like harems or stupid stereotyped shonen.

2. Chris says:

I can’t even find RAWs for this anymore! :( I was wondering when the anime would reach this point and how’d you react to it (did you know at all? It’s a very huge part of the play) the musical version is also very sad at this part but I just want to see this anime version already!

World Masterpiece Theater anime never dissapoint, I suggest you watch their other shows if you can.

3. TheWestExit says:

Why it doesn’t get subbed:

-It’s a Shoujo series, or a show for little girls. Even though there’s alot of mature subject mature and the characters and plot have a metric bitch ton of development and depth, fansubbers are always reluctant to do historical shows and shoujo shows so combining them doesn’t help.

-The anime community isn’t well versed in classical literature historically and a show like this demands that there me a quality checker who is extremely knowledgeable in both the time period and the source material. This take more work than most groups are prepared or used to doing. Just look at a series like Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei, the Japanese in that is of a very high level so it requires alot of work to translate it, also it has all those awesome little comments.

-It’s not very popular. The fansub community is very needy for affection. Fansubbers want their work to be recognized by a group of people. There’s little incentive to sub a series that’ll have a very small, silent base.

I was looking forward to this alot, I’m a fan of Les Misérables, but oh well. I have to wait ’til it gets licenced and even that’s a very slim possibility.

4. Steven says:

DUDE….. i would never watch this series… why?

because no anime can truely remake this story. IF POSSIBLE, you should take a road trip to NEW YORK, and watch the musical there. Just titled Les Miserables, it is utterly incredible, better than any anime can ever recreate it. i actually have no idea why they would make it into an anime… plus it is unlike no other, the stage is actually a spinning stage, basically a big round disk spinning and it is amazing.

5. Hhmmm... says:

I truly want to watch this…seriously people only care for harem/shonen crap or worse kodomo no jikan

They should give this a chance, I doubt it will even get licenced

6. Nicholas says:

Eponine was my favorite character, too. D:

7. totoum says:

” IF POSSIBLE, you should take a road trip to NEW YORK, and watch the musical there. ”
    if not possible because you live on another continent what do you do?

now ureshii fansubs did the first 3 and then dropped it on july 15th but they posted this:
    “We are still interested in doing this series if any translator wants to do it. Just join our recruits channel (#ureshii-recruits@irc.rizon.net) and ask about it if you are interested. If not, Fantine will remain separated from Cossette, and you don’t want that do you?”
    then formula subs picked it up and posted this did the first 6 but havn’t released anything in nearly 2 months,still,they have this project listed as “active” so they havn’t given up but they’re short on staff “‘ll point this out again, but we are currently looking for a Typesetter and Translation Checker. Thank You”
    Not to mention that acording to the poll on their site,les miserable is the most liked of their projects,so there’s a demand.

if you can help,i think those 2 groups would certainly welcome you with open arms.

8. R says:

What continent are you on?

9. totoum says:

europe,and psgels is also in europe.

10. R says:

Well, Broadway isn’t the only option; there’s London, and a few places in Europe, although I’m not exactly sure where at the moment and I’d have to look it up.

11. TheWestExit says:

Or you could, y’know, read the book.

12. R says:

I think that goes without saying.

13. Tania says:

It IS really a sad episode!!! I’ve cried a lot!! I could’t help crying. She was the best character ever and didn’t want her to suffer. And I wonder why Cosette has a beautiful life whereas Eponine has to die. IT is NOT FAIR ! I wanted Marius be with her not with Cosette. She doesn’t deserve him , Eponine do. Marius is really an idiot not to choose Eponine . She’s the bravest and also the most beautiful character I’ve ever seen !!! So just why does he prefer Cosette? I’ve loved the character of Eponine from the very beginning, I’ve never preferred Cosette, so I want her to be happy!
    Well, since she had to die according to the book, she’ll definitely remain a heroine. Cosette won’t. She didn’t sacrifice herself for anyone.She just remain hidden in her mansion , safe from any danger. I wish Eponine could live in her beautiful house and have no problems at all with Marius who loves HER.
    But it was really an exceptionnal episode and the best ever even if it was unbearably sad. I just could’t take it anymore! When she recognized the voice of Gavroche or when she talked about Cosette. And that damn Marius could at least to say thanks cause she saved HIS LIFE!!!
    Well, anyway she ‘ll definitely remain alive in my heart and my imagination.

14. Chris says:

Oh I was sure a story very similiar to Cosette was out there, an old anime that showed on Mexican TV (and other countries but I viewed it on Mexican televsion) called Candy Candy, it’s said to be the best shoujo of all time according to a Japanese poll and has been dubbed in every language but english. You may want to look into the series because it almost exactly the same as Cosette (both are original but similiar in tone, setting, and characters)

15. R says:

Anyone who thinks Eponine is supposed to be pretty needs to read the book as an antidote to their confusion. Her family is desperately poor. She’s a petty thief, and possibly a hooker. Not the first choice of ideal spouses for someone of Marius’s social standing.

16. Irene says:

She’s also half-crazy in the book, which might be something of a deterrent. xD

17. Dookers says:

I’m pretty sure Eponine’s death wasn’t meant as a testimony to Cosette being a cruel heartless rat, Tania. First of all, back then it was considered improper for a young woman of the upper class/bourgeoisie(sp?) to go out in public by herself, and, at this pint, if she ran off to fight with Marius, Jean would probably think something was wrong with her, and she sems like the type who wouldn’t wanna upset her father in the slightest way. Second of all, I’m not a literary (or historical) scholar, but I see it as Eponine’s death and overall her crappy life (from the time Jean took Cosette away from the Thénardiers) was supposed to convey the message that the poor people in Paris didn’t usually get what/who they wanted/loved/dedicated their purpose in life to, and how little sympathy they got anyways.

(side note: For some reason or another, I became more attached to Sonozaki Shion from Higurashi as a figure of tragic unrequited love than to Eponine. It’d take a while to explain.)

But I’m gonna watch this episode to see how they handle Eponine’s death. It’s kinda strange what love does to people, I’ll say.

18. Tania says:

Actually I’ve read the book and I know that Eponine is described as an ugly young woman due to the poverty ( Cosette was described the same way when she was little and worked for the Thénardiers )who says curse words and is obviously a petty thief. I know she’s half crazy too (hard not to nocice it ).I have no doubt about it and I don’t need any antidote because I know exactly what it’s talking about. But I said she was really beautiful in the anime, I didn’t mean in the book . Maybe you think Cosette is prettier than Eponine , and you have the right to think it. I just gave my opinion .But you can’t say Eponine isn’t pretty in the anime. I can even prove it. Mabeuf in the 30th episode ( when she watered the flowers for him) said : utsukushi ojosama which means beautiful young woman and at the end I think the woman said kawai( I’m not sure) which means cute. I ‘ve seen lots of anime series but I found that Eponine was the most beautiful ever. Ever since she was little . I know she’s not supposed to be that way but she IS in this serie ( ANIME) , it’s a fact, you must admit that she’s far from being ugly. Even in rags, she remains really pretty. And I wanted to clarify one more thing. I don’t say Cosette is a cruel heartless rat . I just say that she’s not perfect. Nobody is . She makes mistakes too . I don’t blame her cause she hasn’t interfered in the revolution, I know perfectly well that she couldn’t. But according to the book, at the end she’ll leave her “father” who cared for her so much and can’t live without her. That wasn’t a good thing to do. What do you think? it wasn’t very kind of her .
    But that’s not the reason why I prefer Eponine.
    I just like her very much! I don’t know why , maybe because she has such a personality! I just love the way she is . I wanted her to be happy even if I knew that she dies in the book . Maybe I didn’t want to expect such cruelty from the creators. I just couldn’t keep it . Moreover, she’s particularly cute. I think the one who created this anime must have loved this character too.
    She’s not at all a half crazy ugly girl described in the book, that’s a good point. I haven’t nocided any sign of crazyness or ugliness in her. And you ? And I wanted to know if you think that Marius should have been more grateful to her ? Because I do . That’s just a question not an offense.

19. Tania says:

Sorry, when I mentioned Mabeuf saying Eponine was beautiful in the episode 30th , it was a mistake. Actually IT IS in the 32nd . When she watered the plants . But I was very tired when I wrote it , it was the night. And I spent the whole day at school and had a test( 5 hours of philosophy!).
    Sorry again.

20. Sarah says:

You should watch before posting spoilers, Tania, because psgels hasn’t read the book and doesn’t know what’s going to happen XD

And I do agree with what you’re saying, but honestly, I feel that the anime-Marius was a lot kinder to Eponine than the Marius in the book. In the book he barely cared she was dying…he was too busy reading Cosette’s letter and thinking about his darling Cosette to care

21. Broked Foot says:

We at Delicious Fansubs have always been willing to take this project the full way, but our translator went missing in action shortly after our last release without a word, and lacking a translator there’s not really much that we can do.

22. R says:

1) I can think of other women in anime who are definitely prettier. I’m not crazy about all the character designs in this series.

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

A

C

E

2) She doesn’t really leave her father, it’s much more the other way around. He feels uncomfortable in the Gillenormands’ home and doesn’t spend much time there, despite her efforts to convince him. He walks out of her wedding dinner. Plus Marius is uncomfortable with him after that one conversation and pushes him away further.

23. Irene says:

SPOILER ALERT!

Personally, I’m inclined to agree with R. Valjean’s often described as viewing himself as Marius’s rival for Cosette’s affections, and after Cosette is married he doesn’t really see a need to remain any longer. That said, if we’re going to blame anyone for Valjean’s isolation at the end of the book, we should probably look at Marius, who was definitely rather chilly toward him after he learned of Valjean’s past.

24. Tania says:

Response to Sarah .
    I agree with what you said too, the anime-Marius is really kinder to Eponine than in the book. He acts much like her friend . In the book, he obviously avoids her even knowing that his happyness is due to her and don’t care about her death. In the anime, he doesn’t want her to die and keep saying ” hold on !”

25. Tania says:

Response to R
    Eponine is a petty thief in the book but she IS NOT a hooker. And especially in this serie. Don’t talk about her that way! Her love for Marius is pure. I think that besides Toron , and she was very little by the time, Marius is her first and only love ( and the last one too). If it wasn’t, she would not have died for him. Even in the book, she acts like a child sometimes and I just can’t imagine her to look at other men. Besides, she lives with her parents by the time she meets Marius and her only real company seems to be Azelma. Even if she often has to face the gang of her father ( “the Patrominet”).

• Selene says:

She’s not a hooker, persay, but she was involved in prostitution of sorts. She was also the mistress of Montparnasse, which isn’t mentioned in the anime, but is in the book. That’s why Montparnasse is always referring to himself as Thenardier’s son in law. Thoug i can’t remember if thats in the anime either. Though i agree with you. Her love is as pure and as real as cosette’s easily.

26. R says:

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

Her only love? Um, it’s made pretty clear that she sleeps with Montparnasse, at the very least.

Another opportunity of laying hands on that “devil’s dandy” must be waited for. Montparnasse had, in fact, encountered Eponine as she stood on the watch under the trees of the boulevard, and had led her off, preferring to play the lover with the daughter rather than the crook with the father. It was well that he did so. He was free. (Slightly paraphrased.)

27. Tania says:

If she slept with Montparnasse and loved him too then why did she give her life to save Marius ? Moreover, even if it’s possible in the book SHE WOULD NEVER DO SO IN THE ANIME. Well just look at her! She’s honest in her feelings for Marius and upright. Well, actually I found Montparnasse kind of handsome in this serie , well, maybe she should have fallen in love with him , at least she (maybe) wouldn’t have died but she didn’t fall in love with him. Feelings can’t be explained. Anyway, I don’t agree with you on that point. Eponine is for me a symbol of purity. A fallen angel. And she’s too proud to act that way. She has always been so proud of herself. Try to remember her childhood. So it’s just impossible. It doesn’t fit at all with her character.

• Selene says:

Well, she is far from purity. She is kinda like fantine in the way that she was also a prostitute, and only did what she did for money, but despised it at the same time. And she didn’t really have feelings for Montparnasse, but she was his mistress. And she became desperate when she was poor. But this might not be true in the anime, however it was 100% true in the book

28. Tania says:

29. R says:

Anyway, I don’t agree with you on that point.

Take it up with Victor Hugo, then. She does indeed sleep with Montparnasse.

30. Irene says:

Hugo implies that Eponine sleeps with Montparnasse, not that she loves him. There’s a difference.

In any case, bookverse!Eponine leads Marius to the barricades because she hopes he’ll die there. She tried to kill him because she knew she couldn’t have him and only saves his life at the end because part of her regrets her actions. She’s petty and childish and emotionally stunted, and a far cry from the idealized gamine you seem to be describing.

(It’s spelt Patron-Minette, by the way.)

31. Tania says:

Alright, I get it. By the way, I know why she said to Marius to go to the barricades ( it wasn’t precised in the anime , only in the book ) but even it is her fault that he happened to be there, it was quite brave from her to get the bullet which was intented for him. Don’t you think ? And even if she slept with Montparnasse it doesn’t really change my opinion about her. Sleeping with Montparnasse doesn’t mean she’s a hooker. Then her love for Marius changed her. True love can really change people’s life. Remember, she used to say curse words before she met Marius! At the end, she reminds me of the little mermaid who would rather die herself than live knowing she’s responsible of his death. At first, she thinks she may be able to kill the prince to save her own life but she realizes that she just can’t do it. There’s something like that in the way she dies. She’s quite unstable in the book, for example when she refuses the money Marius gives her in exchange for leading him to the place Cosette lives in. She just throws it back to him and it falls on the ground. And when she hears Gavroche singing she says : ” Don’t say him I’m here .If you do, he’s going to scold me .” It was indeed a sign of crazyness. But what I’m saying is that she is idealized in the anime. Don’t you think so? I’m quite sure she is! She doen’t speak at all like a half-crazy girl. They made her this way and it is obvious right away. There’s something different if we compare her to her character in the book. What do you think ? I started to watch this serie nearly one year ago and I loved the way she’s described there even if I like very much her character in the book too. I’m not the one who imagines her perfect because they represented her that way in the serie.

32. angedemystere says:

Well, from what I’ve seen from the earlier episodes, the anime portrays young Eponine as a spoiled brat (mostly due to the way her parents raised her and treated Cosette), so the creators probably wanted her to seem more sympathetic now that she’s dirt poor and wandering in the streets, so we don’t say, “Ha, she got what she deserved!” The truth is, Eponine has a heart, she’s just lived in a very bad environment all her life. The anime creators probably thought it best to make that more obvious, however, by making her more physically and in other ways appealing.

By the way, the hooker issue comes from the fact that Thernadier hired out Eponine as a prostitute to bring in some extra money. Sadly, child prostitution was a real problem in those days. But if you were extremely poor, you had to do what you had to do. Morally wrong? Of course, but people sometimes resort to stealing in the same situation. (i.e. Valjean!) Of course, they do not include Eponine’s prositution in the anime. (I don’t even know how much they emphasize it in the book.) Come on, if they didn’t have Fantine become a prostitute . . .

33. Tania says:

Yeah, I quite agree with you when you say that Eponine grew up in a very bad environment all her live. First of all , she’s actually never been a brat, she would have remained nice towards Cosette if her mother didn’t interfere in their relationship and didn’t treat Cosette like some kind of a tramp dog. Remember after her mother’s departure, she’s the one who proposed to Cosette to go and play with her and Azelma in their room. But the mother had other projects for this poor child. And children always act like their parents , they would never turn against them ( well, there’re some exeptions like Gavroche but it’s because he wasn’t loved by his mother so it’s not likely ). So they’d rather turn against Cosette. I could never blame Eponine for not being at Cosette’s side. Because I’m sure I would do the same if I had her parents. As a child, my parents were an example for me. Would you rather be at the side of a girl you know practically nothing or at your parents’. It’s an easy answer, don’t you think ? And besides, haven’t you noticed she has always been so kind with everybody exept Cosette . She just can’t stand her and I believe she thinks Cosette steals away every boy she loves. Which is actually true. Cosette doesn’t seem to realize herself the pain she’s been always bringing Eponine. She made her suffer more than anybody else in spite of herself. But I suppose she’s never realized it. Well, anyway, I’ve always considered Eponine like a very good person who didn’t have the chance to have good parents . So, even as a child, I loved what she was like. And besides, poors were so often treated the way Cosette has been that it’s just sounds kinda normal for those days. And, back then, Eponine and Azelma were just children. All children could be cruel . They’re not an exception. But to give her life for her loved one is truely an exception. That really shows the kind of person who is really Eponine ( without considering her parents): someone with a great and big heart. When she loves someone she’s able to give her live for him. And she even protected Cosette against her father knowing she’s the one Marius loved. She didn’t have to but she did. And that’s what makes her even more exeptionnal in my eyes! Besides, when she was dying she had regrets she’s never been too close to Gavroche. And that’s what stroke me the most. I realized even better that her parents ( most of all her father but her mother too) were responsible of everything. And yes, she’s just the best character ever for me!

34. Daniel says:

Ummm… yes, Eponine was implied to be a child prostitute in the novel… When she first speaks to Marius she was sent to deliver a message and prostitute herself. The line that says something like “she looked at the unmade bed with a quiet sureness that chilled the heart”. You honestly think that Thenardier, being as low and villainous as he is wouldn’t sell his daughters’ bodies for a few shillings… They were STARVING and already stealing to make ends meet.

35. angedemystere says:

I think the reason Eponine is so appealing to a large number of fans is because most people in general like flawed characters who to some degree redeem themselves in the end. And it is especially heartbreaking when said character meets a tragic end, and it makes us wish that things had turned out differently for him or her. We appreciate a character’s flaws because they make a person realistic and human, but we also savor the hope for their redemption, and their good qualities are even more significant to us.

I think that despite the physical appearance he allotted her, Hugo wanted to portray Eponine as a very sympathetic character. He had a general sympathy for all poverty-strickened women, including prostitutes. And, like many romantics, he had her redemption come through love, which really is its ultimate form. The saddest part was that her love was not returned, and although we can understand why Marius was not attracted to her (and, in truth, somewhat repulsed by her), we are still upset by it. Well, some more than others, I suppose. ^^,

Okay, end of philosophical rant.

• Selene says:

People seem to not think of this, so i applaud you for saying this. This is what I’m constantly trying to tell people who don’t understand why i like eponine. I like her for her flaws.

36. Tania says:

Yes in the book Eponine is described as repulsing but Marius COULD NEVER be repulsed by her in the anime . She’s so beautiful !!! Come on! she’s a thouthand times more beautiful than Cosette here!!!

37. David says:

I agree with you. Cossette unfortunately does not seem to be a person in real life. Eponine sounds more realistic than Cossette can ever be. Cossette seems to be like a useless fairy tales princess that needs to be protected 24/7. If Jean dies and she did not meet Marius than she would surely strave on the street, unlike Eponine and Gravoche.

38. Fanny says:

Oh, dear!!! I say the same!!! WHY?!!! EPONINE?!!! Eponine’s my favorite character, too.

39. Elle says:

Eponine’s Love is the Truest Form.

Who knew she was capable of such,

All her life she wants to be the centre of

everything.

The abuse and hard living with her family.

For Eponine, Marius is life and love

Her only Hope.

She gave her life for him.

The greatest sacrifice of a True Lover.

Rather nice inclusion that they had the voice actors actually speaking Ainu in Kamuy's third episode.
Anonymous2040262
its almost like he could be an antagonist
For me I don't mind if I have to pay to watch the series/ films, but damn it don't restrict me to access it. Entertainment medium is meant to be an exposure (for the lack of better terms), it's supposed to be available to the mass and nobody care for a series that isn't available for streaming. We have way too many other options out there
"Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem". Someone said that and I couldn't say it better
@Amagi: which part of Firework that you stopped? It's the movie that make less and less sense as the story goes on so I feel you on that
I really wonder what's up with this guy. Considering the hype and VN screens he gets he seems to be more than just random side-protagonist. Looking forward to the rest of this series.
Anonymous2039704
One of my favorite OPs this season
Now I textwalled again and feel bad.
In short: be it indie-products or official series or papers, just upload everything on a virtual plattform and you'll get a bigger audience, many of them even willing to pay as long as they get what they want in high quality.
Something might only become popular 4 weeks later but it doesn't matter because it's still there and people can watch it whenever they want and the other series don't matter since it isn't a classical rivalry as we know it from tv.
"Less people watched the first episode than the 1000th iteration of [insert some "classic" movie old people watch for the sake if it]. With streaming plattforms like Netflix and others series just get dumped and are always accesible.
Another reason for why I prefer streams and stuff: TV and quotes are a horror. They often cancelled series after one or two episodes because the quotes didn't live up to what they wanted. Instead of giving a new series some time. It needs time to get a fanbase and people often need weeks to even know about a new series, but nope.
In the end such things are usually screened in ~3 places around the country for a day or two. So if you aren't living nearby or have work to do on that day: good luck.
Sometimes it isn't their fault though, like when there is an anime or some indie guy from my country is making a movie - and nobody wants to show them.
Same here. I really want to give small companies or indie/artists a chance, but it's not always easy.
What baffled me was the British film institute blocking Irish users using their legal streams.
Believe it or not I actually WANT to support.
While I do pirate alot, in cases where an obscure film actually gets a cinema release I make sure to pay to see it at the cinema, I support all the rare anime screenings too.
There is so much stuff I had to pirate or I would have had to relinquish it completely. Even with non-fiction books for my university studies.
lmao. But I 100% agree. Maybe you're lucky if you live in the US but otherwise you are often enough f*ed. Bad marketing.
Point I was trying to make is that, region blocking is only encouraging piracy more.
narf~ couldn't manage to finish that Firework movie, do I miss much? It seems like something that might have a bunch of good ideas for the later part but the first half just bored me and I couldn't get into it for some reason.
Release your damn indie project on a reputable site or at least offer a paypal option and if its something off-colour in content, send the bloody thing digitally and not as a dvd.
Oh look, funimation releases eng dub trailer...think I'll...wat....oh wait this video is not available in your region"
"This video cannot be streamed outside of"
"Sorry we do not deliver to Ireland"
"Sorry this film from less than a decade is out of print"
Yeah, fuck legal streaming, just for that I'm pirating you.
@Mario: Truly you have become the most super of Marios.
Finally pulling those reviews out. Guys, if you're expecting for Hinamatsuri and Masotan posts, the former will be done tomorrow and if I have more time I will do the second one too. Enjoy for now
Anonymous2037529
LWA academia is probably the only trigger project i've truly cared about. I haven't watched KlK to completion or luluco for that matter(i got to get around to that) but ive seen everything else and i just don't give a damn about any of em
But to say something positive - I liked the second episode of Kamuy way better than the first one. Budget seems to be really bad but the rest makes up for it it seems.
I think Luluco was the only one I enjoyed after KlK which already had a bunch of problems - but overall it was far too entertaining for me to seriously care about those.
Guess the last 1/3 might be more interesting when they start with the actual world building for once, although they could probably slam the love stuff even more in our faces but who knows. Not fond of any of the latest Trigger anime to be honest.
Also they're really overdoing it with all that obvious message stuff and the "love superpower" trope I always hated anyway. Still watching I mean at least it has a plot and tries.
I still can't care about anyone or anything in this series I think it's really not made for me. I might have liked Goro but he's too unimportant and the sauros revelation was kind of a letdown since it's the most common twist for these kinds of things.
Alright Franxx, you are forgiven for episode 14.
@Mario: Do you ever go to those surprise horror/thriller preview screenings? Where they don't tell you what film it is until it starts?
*worrying about
@Mario: Its saying something, when I haven't seen eternal sunshine since it came out, but even by re-watching the trailer, the feelings, the whole film comes back. At that point I'd grown out of Jim Carey's comedy, so seeing him play against type was refreshing.
@Mario: Ah, I'm more forgiving then, I'm likely to give higher points for sheer imagination that I'm not as bothered by worry about the story.
@Mario: Any negative argument against mood indigo by him can be countered by the fact it has Audrey Tatou in it.
Anonymous2035464
jhonrhean
and I just watched A Quiet Place. A solid indie horror one. It builds on atmosphere and it does the family chemistry right
I don't like The Science of Sleep to be honest. Tons of interesting ideas and visually creativeness but the story itself is a mess
@Mario: Gondry needs to avoid making any more commercial comedies, he also needs to start working with Kaufman again, they brought out the best in each other, although on his own, he can be playful and inventive with his films, such as mood indigo and science of sleep.
But check out his other movie Eternal sunshine of Spotless Mind. It has an inventive mind control/ mind altering concept in there
Jim Carrey is kind of mind controller himself. I couldn't take my eyes off him
@anon2028818: it was indeed season 5. SORRY FOR MY IGNORANCE :)
The Jim Carrey movies.
Dorei-ku seems like a Kakegurui. You see one episode you've seen all. It'll be better if it was crazier like Mirai Nikki. Mind control IMO could be a very creepy setup if it's watched through the perspective of the victim rather than the perpetrator. Losing notion or reality and control. Could liar liar and Yes man be considered mind controlled stories?
Ore Mahou Shoujo, baffles me, since I had to skip another long musical off key number, which makes me wonder where the budget cut starts and where the trolling begins. Also makes me sad, there aren't a lot of female to male transformations since it'll be interesting watching that perspective. Maybe a love triangle from both genders could apply since females are more accepted to be bi, in media.
Megalobox could be something really special, but I hope like with Ashita no Joe, the anime isn't solely boxing. Joe, had social commentary, had a personal struggle do to the protagonist origin, attitude and view of life, since he started very immature and rebellious.
Megalo Box, Tiramisu (I find this genuinely funny), S;0, GGO which is so much better than SAO, Wotaku, Hinamatsuri, Cutie Honey, LotGH, Hisone to Masotan and so on
I really love this season as well.
Also personally I am enjoying this current season a alot. But I also know/like a good bit of the reboots/sequels
Oh man... 2015 winter was good. Forgot thats when those came out
Anonymous2028818
@SuperMario: Wasn't that Natsume season 5?, pretty sure season 4 was several years earlier.
Another strong anime season for me was 2015 Winter, where we had YuriKuma Arashi, Maria the Virgin Witch, Death Parade, Durarara whatever season, second cour of Shirobako, Parasyte and Your Lie in April
Even so, with this season I'm still willing to give some shows another chance, like Caligula or Cutie Honey Universe(!)
For me, the best season in recent years was Fall 2016 when we had Flip Flappers, Sound Eupho 2, Yuri on Ice, Natsume 4, Fune wo Amu, Drifters and 3-gatsu no Lion. But I know that Aidan would disagree with me on this
@anon2028201: it's me who said this season is a mixed bag. It's like you said, this season is too heavily on sequels/ reboots and only some new anime stand out, the rest of the pack is just meh.
Anonymous2028201
To me this seems like a pretty good seasons, but judging some of the impressions, it's a bit more of a mixed bag for most. Just curious, what were the best seasons for recent anime? This one seems good to me, but to early to tell right now
Anonymous2028201
Lovin this season so far: a lot of reboots/reimaginings and sequels, but I'm enjoying them all. MHA S3, LOGH DNT, S;G 0, Megalobox, Golden Kamuy are what I'm watching right now. I hear Full Metal Panic is good as well, but I haven't gotten around to watching the original series.
Anonymous2028258
so i just recently rewatched fullmetal panic fumoffu and i gotta say that this is easily one of Kyo ani's best works. It's such a surprise that this was their first anime; it's a damn good romance comedy
@Anon: Lol I love B-movie type stuff, because the rules are off.
I was the only person who watched Mazinkaiser skl and shin mazinger and skullman.
Anonymous2026379
@Kaiser Takeshi Koike really wanted to really sell it as a grindhouse feature and I ate that shit up; I really dug the tone he was going for.
@Anon: It was strange seeing that Goemon short, much as I enjoyed it, thats the goriest I seen lupin get.
Anonymous2026379
Megalo box is pure retro while lupin is a mix of old and new...and you're right; people just think they can't jump right into it. But that's why more people should be talking about it; to let the masses know that you don't need a starting point to get into the Lupin franchise
I'm a massive fan of the devilman manga and I thought devilman crybaby was better than it.
Anonymous2026379
90's-esque throwback feeling shows like lupin and megalo box have been giving me
Anonymous2026379
Luoin part 5 is definitely mixing the best of new and old. Honestly, I've been having a blast with it as well as this generally 90
I think the problem is, people see lupin as this long thing they can't get into, when really its so episodic/standalone mostly you can pick up and watch.
And of course getting the best bits out of old and new.
*visual style
I'm a fan of this hybrid old and new style, megalobox does it too, mine fujiko aswell and casshern sins.
I was surprised by how well the Fujiko mine show came together in the end.
I'll be interested in picking up more facts about thrm.
Come think of it, Akira Kurosawa did some old western (eastern?) in Russian, that had an Ainu in it.
Anonymous2026379
Asirpa is sooooo adorable.....almost feels patronizing to say that about her due to how badass she is
Anonymous2026379
What makes Fujiko work so well as this sexy icon is that she isn't just sexy: she's smart as shit and uses that sexiness to dominate and control her opponents (similar to bayonetta) rather than be chained by the objectification of her opponents (and the viewers for that matter)
Anonymous2026379
I wonder what other obscure cameos we may get this season. And yea you're right about some of Lupin's potentially sexist traits being assuaged by his level of cool and the genuine respect he shows a good deal of the women he has encountered throughout the series
@Anon: Yet still a fun film at the same time.
Anonymous2026379
@Kaiser Yea, mamo was a pretty dark element introduced to the lupin franchise; and considering the tone of the gravestone of Jigen, it makes sense he would cameo there
@Mario: Help I want to kidnap Asirpa =<
@Anon: I'm probably as surprised as you, at finding someone to talk to about Lupin on here.
@Anon: And through comparing/contrasting the jigen grave stone and Fujiko mine, with some of the sillier older ones, it shows the Lupin characters are flexible enough to work both in a darker AND sillier context.
*character
@Anon: Fujiko is precisely how a fanservicey character should work and how built in/essential it is to her haracter, without becoming an irritant.
@Anon: By all means Lupin himself shouldn't be a character we like, much like Bond, but like Bond theres a coolness to the character that allows us to love him.
@Anon: Another great thing about Lupin is how it uses its 60s cool to get away with what would normally probably be considered fairly sexist.
@Anon: I had a big smile on my face when Mamo made a cameo appearance at the end of one of the recent ones and thats because I remember the Lupin Mamo movie was one of those first anime that I watched about 20 years aago.
Anonymous2026379
not to mention that its one of the few anime this season that actually knows how to utilize dialogue to explore flesh out its characters rather than exposition or contrivance: looking at you darling in the franxx
Anonymous2026379
@Kaiser-Eoghan Nice fun facts; but yea Lupin III is a series that has always had an amazing sense of pacing and adventure, traits that are definitely on display this season
@Anon: Its a huge franchise too so I'm often never sure where to go next.
@Anon: You may or may not know this, but the voice actor for solid snake voiced Lupin in one of the dubs.
@Anon: I watched a few episodes of the Italy set lupin show too .
Its a fun franchise due to its cast but its something I have to follow irregularly, lest it get repetitive.
@Anon: Fun fact, guy who directed the gold of babylon film was a famous B-movie noir director in the 60s.
Dont trust anything written by the original SAO author. Everything is his fault. Kirito is not in this series.
Even the original SAO author has little to do with it, which is why its actually good
So SAO Alt is basically completely removed from the rest of SAO
@Anon: Lupin is one of those things I dip in and out of, whatever part of the franchise it is. I've seen birdcage kingdom, Mamo, cagliostro, nostradamus, Jigens grave stone, mine fujiko and the recent Goemon centred special.
Anonymous2026379
it's a damn shame not a lot of ppl are talkig about/watching lupin the third this season
But for all I know with that team behind it, its an improvement, but theres probably not much point in me watching as I dropped the first season after less than 10 episodes.
See how he attempts to seduce me into watching something related to sword art.
Huh... I didnt know the writer for SAO Alt was written by the Kino's Journey creator and produced by the Flip Flappers people. Explains a lot
I wish I knew what you meant by shaman girls, and I cant wait
@Lenlo, Oh I know Leskinen. May he find his Japanese Shaman girls one day. But seeing as I know the story I wanna experience it differently.
@Mario: Its even set in hokkaido, Korean/Japanese director, Japanese cast, Ken Watanabe is in it: https://letterboxd.com/film/unforgiven-2013/
Also, I love the ED. Really, 2 episodes in, I love S;G all over again.
@Kaiser: really? They remade Unforgiven in Japanese?
its*
Like... is good.
But your missing out on the cult of Leskinen. The engrish is actually one of my favorite parts
@Lenlo, Meanwhile I am happily waiting for the dub.
Dangit... I have to wait another week for Steins;Gate 0 now. I cant do this.
@Mario: The Japanese remake of unforgiven had ainu people in it.
Anonymous2025797
Also I wonder if budget is distributed according to the director, some animes will spend more in the first episode. Some will spend more in the last ones. It's subjective, but if it's like all business it is looking for the better result at the minimum expense. Hence why I believe Berserk was made the way it did.
Anonymous2025797
@Kaiser-Eoghan - Ideally a story should be as long as it needs. But reality seems that a number of episodes is decided before production. And so you either have to stretch or cut material. Kinda like that 300 page manga of Les Miserables, is simply unfeasible translating that book into that few pages.
Oberstein was a great character.
I actually feel Aidan can do a good job on it. Sometimes been too exposed to the material may lead to clouded eyes.
Though I'm surprised by how I unexpectedly laughed at wotaku, I do wonder if later on it will include any slight drama elements to sustain interest.
OMO; OBERsteins; Gate =P
From watching episode 2 of golden kamuy, yeah, the source material definitely is lifting this.
I'm going to have to wait and see on steins; gate 0, it is encouraging to here this might be darker , at the same time I remember having to sit through too much goofy humour in the first one.
I was actually surprised, that, while rare, there were some moments of humour, that lightened it for me.
Throughout the entire series I expected Oberstein to pull some inevitable double cross. And was shocked when he never did.
@Kaiser: Agree with Oberstein. I think antagonists are es important as the mains in fiction and I loved this guy, he's perfect for series like these.
Galactic heroes was an example of where when watching it, when big death scenes occured, I would make noooooo and shouting noises at the screen while clenching my fist.
I love characters like Oberstein, shrewd, clever, but done right to where I can believe it, not characters like, say Lelouch .
I'd be concerned if the new galactic heroes series skimps on the violence, that kind of thing needs to be in there, in most shows/films and shown to be explicit, consequences need to be shown.
*about, not with
Sadly, most original 2+ cours series I know feel dragged whereas many 1 cours originals could have needed ~3 more episodes. Talking with series that have an actual plot of course.
I really like the 13 episodes thingy for originals but I wish there would be more 26 episodes series, especially for adaptions.
@Kaiser: I agree. Nothing kills my interest faster than formularic episodes and repetition.
In general I think 50 episodes would be the most I'd watch for an anime, 39 seems ideal.
Or worse and the romance drama is the main plot and it's Kiznaiver all over again, while the rest is just flavor to make the romances more forced since they're the MCs are only teens and such. Dunno but I can never bring myself to care about this kind of stuff.
Though better 110 episodes of galactic heroes than a long shounen that just repeats itself.
Speaking of recent episodes, I unironically thing that FranXX's world (building) is pretty interesting (although I hope those klaxxosaurusses will be more than just random cannon fodder) but I doubt the series will ever get to the main plot again the next time.
Same here. It was really the only time I did this. I am usually exhausted by just thinking about marathoning long series. It's the reason why I won't get into FMP for the new series either. LotGH was an exception since I found it easily to watch for some reason.
Man, just image burning through 110 episodes of it and my spirit fades away
Watched that whole series ages ago.
Just watched the first three Neue These episodes and I surprinsingly liked it. Thought I would hate it due to being an OVA fan, and I still prefer the old designs by far but overall it's pretty good. I think I might even prefer this version of the first battle, but I have to rewatch the old one I guess.
Also while I can't remember which episode, Yang picks up a book with the author of the series' name on it.
Arslan feels so lightweight by contrast/comparison.
And I think, given your knowledge KTtravlos, that a series review of the new galactic heroes season would probably benefit from you writing it.
I bring up the music in my earlier comment, because I can understand your reservations regarding the music choice in the remake.
And certainly one of those shows, that going back to the first episode after finishing, gives a strong perspective just on how evolving the series was.
*despite me not
Despite not being monarchist , because the characters were human moreso than cartoon characters I couldn't hate on Reinhard.
@Travlos: I suppose by the time it got to Julian's arc, I was surprised they were still bothering to fight but the fact that they were essentially the last bastion of their beliefs made it special.

Hinamatsuri – 03 [Hobo Life 101]

Hinamatsuri week 3 plays like an extension to Anzu and Hitomi’s stories last week. It’s like two sides of a same coin where you can see these girls grow in a direction you don’t expect (NO innuendo here), albeit at the cost of the central chemistry between Nitta and Hina. Here’s the trick to why […]

Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii – 02[Are We Now Dating?]

After a strong first episode I come back to this show and find a rather middling second episode. There is some good content here, namely the Evangelion references, one of which was butchered by the crunchyroll translators.(Narumi and Hanako were arguing over who was best girl in Evangelion with notes over their head about whose […]

Steins;Gate 0 – 2 [Epigraph of the Closed Curve -Closed Epigraph-]

7 years. It has been almost 7 years since the original season of Steins;Gate. Since Okabe overcame received a mysterious video message, which prompted him to finally save the day. Back then it was a rather clever, if thin, plot device to get a happy ending. Steins;Gate 0 is the story of this video message. […]

Legend of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These – 2/3[The Battle of Astarte/An Indomitable Prodigy]

If I was to judge this adaption based solely on the first three episodes I would declare it a resounding success. For while I do really like the old series, it does have a rather slow start. I say i only truly got invested in it around episode 3 or 4 when the more political […]

Golden Kamuy – 02 [Nopperabo]

Leave it to Japanese cartoon that done the Western genre better than the Westerners, at least from what we have seen so far (note: despite my pun, Western the genre doesn’t refer to the Western culture, but to the American Old West). Granted, Japanese cinema and literature has a strong tradition of samurai genre, which […]

Hinamatsuri – 02 [This Is How You Have a ESP Battle!]

Welcome to THE comedy gold of the season. Before I get into anything specific, let’s me discuss about what make this little show about a psychic girl and a yakuza hilarious in the first place. The main source of humor in Hinamatsuri largely comes from situation-based weirdness. Putting these characters out of their comfort zones […]

Darling in the Franxx – 14[Punishment and Confession]

Last time Darling and the Franxx had it’s best episode yet which raised my opinion of the series and gave me hopes for greater things moving forward. So it’s sad that they follow this up with the worst episode of the series to date. This episode was pure frustration to watch because you knew exactly […]

Megalo Box – 2 [The Man Only Dies Once]

Welcome to the Spring 2018 anime season! I am proud to present to you the Ashita no Joe 50th Anniversary project, Megalo Box. Easily the most stylish anime of the season. Lets jump in! With just 2 episodes, Megalo Box has become my favorite for the season. Everything about it feels like it comes from […]

Darling in the Franxx – 13[The Beast and the Prince]

That was the best episode of Darling in the Franxx to date. Truly I am impressed with this though it may be perhaps because the fanservice aspects of the show were not present at all during this episode. Todays episode was spent entirely on the past of Hiro and Zero Two. When this episode is […]

Violet Evergarden (2018 Winter) Review – 76/100

Violet Evergarden’s existence has surely been a public one. Acclaimed before everyone lick a taste of it (it was awarded for grand prize in the fifth Kyoto Animation Award’s novel category in 2014 – read, KyoAni awards), it goes without saying that Violet Evergarden is one of the most anticipated show of the sparse Winter […]

A Place Further than the Universe (Winter 2018) Review – 77/100

Cute girls doing cute things is a genre that been done to death at this point. Even within this Winter 2018 we had been overloaded with big eyes fluffy face girls doing a lot of different things of interest. It takes a standout concept or a deeper narrative to make one stand out from this […]

After the Rain (2018 Winter) Review – 89/100

I suppose that most of us, even the perministic ones, enter After the Rain (Ameagari) with some reservations. After all, the premise about a crush from an 18-year-old girl to the store manager who is nearly 30 years senior raises a lot of red flags here. Yet the show handles this tricky premise with deep […]

Kokkoku – 42.5/100

There are lots of bad anime out there, for one reason or another. Whether it be stilted animation, terrible writing or bad direction, a good portion of each season is simply not worth it. Kokkoku is not a bad anime. It is something much worse. Kokkoku is a mediocre anime. Bad ones get talked about, […]

Junji Ito Collection Anime Review – 40/100

In the realm of manga there is a man whose name is inescapable when the genre of horror is brought up. That man is Junji Ito and his work is considered legendary for its artistic detail, mastery of manga paneling and it’s outlandish imaginative concepts. Up till now his work has yet to have an […]

Yuru Camp (Winter 2018) Review – 74/100

I admit that I underestimated Yuru Camp back in its first few episodes. I took it as a standard, run-on-the-mill slice of life show and I fully expected to give it 3 episodes at max before throwing it into the deep sea of forgotten anime. But as time pass, I can certainly see many good […]

Neo Yokio – 96/100

This may be half a year overdue but I simply can’t accept that none of the writing staff of Star Crossed Anime have cover the the biggest development in anime where Netflix took a hand in producing anime in the form of Neo Yokio. Taking place in the metropolis of Neo Yokio, a mashup between […]

Devilman Crybaby – 83/100

It’s an exciting time to be an anime fan where new business models and players are making big waves within the animation industry. After debuting with the original and excellently-produced Neo Yokio, the juggernaut streaming service of Netflix has decided to revive the classic series of Devilman and gives it the full adaption treatment. By […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 69/100

Fantasy is a rather prolific genre in anime, with a vast majority of Isekai and Shounen fitting snugly into it. Most take place in their own unique setting, either Amestris of Full Metal Alchemist or the made of world of the latest Isekai trash. Few however try to set themselves in our world. To peel […]