Posted by psgels on 5 November 2007 with categories: Les Miserables - Shoujo Cosette

Oh, that was amazing. This episode concludes the fourth arc of the series. Gavroche unfortunately lives, but to make up for it, we get treated to an outstanding episode. Obviously, spoilers are going to follow.

The definite highlight was the face-down between Jean and Javert. Seriously, that’s what I call an antagonist! Takano from Higurashi just bleaks when compared to Javert and the excellent development the guy’s been having through the series. The way he convinced himself how Jean was pure evil, and how humans can’t change was magnificent, and it was awesome to see how Jean basically let the guy go, so was the entirely different side Javert showed of himself in the process.

And boy, I never expected ALL of Les Amis to friggin’ DIE at the end of the episode! The insert song may have been a tad wrong, but still… whoa. I also loved the conversation between Jean and Enjorlas (I gave up trying to spell his name correctly), and how they think about the future generation. While the current revolution failed, it’ll give inspiration for the future, where the next generation can pick up where Les Amis left and truly change the country. It was also an excellent scene where the drinking-guy (forgot his name! I don’t care!), after having been absent for so long, symbolically saved Enjorlas, before both of them got killed by the incoming policemen.

Jean and Marius are probably the only survivors, as they manage to escape through the sewers. The final arc is going to be a short one (only eight episodes!), but something tells me that the creators have saved a few ace for last: the Thenardiers! They’ve been quiet for the past climax, because none of them but Eponine had anything to do with the revolution, but the fact remains that Thenardier still holds a huge grudge against Jean. He’s going to do something to him… but what…?

1. Tania says:

Do you think they won’t leave Gavroche die? I’m pretty sure Cosette had saved him but it’s quite hard to say. I know I should be glad for him but I just can’t help thinking it’s really unfair : why he has been saved whereas Eponine had to die?! They could have imagined something to prevent her from dying, something like Montparnasse saving her life or something.
    Actually, I would be much happier if the two of them ( Eponine and Gavroche)would have survived. I would have loved to see them meeting each other and getting closer. To see them just like brother and sister. I know Eponine had regrets about them never being too close as they should be ( that’s because of their mother who never liked boys).
    Well I’m sure the next episode will give the answer about Gavroche and Cosette. I hope they will get to talk to each other at least. I’ve been waiting for this moment for a long time.
    I wish the revolution would end soon. But another element that I noticed : when the characters die , they don’t lose blood ( Eponine did!). We don’t have the feeling they’re wounded because there isn’t any wound
    visible when they fall.
    Oh! and I can’t wait to see what’s going to happen with the other Thénardier and, above all, Azelma ( my second favorite character).
    I wish they would be released. They’ve been in jail for quite a long time! And moreover, Azelma should’t be there, she’s, by far, too young. Anyway, let’s hope they will soon reappear. Poor Azelma, her dream about living together with her mother and Eponine would never become true . It makes me feel really sad.

2. Irene says:

Enjolras. And Grantaire’s the drunk guy. xD

I’m still flabbergasted that Gavroche actually survives. That’s just…I mean, I know Cosette needs to have something to do in the anime, because otherwise she’d just be sitting there, but it’s called Les Miserables for a reason! D: Gavroche is supposed to die!

I wasn’t at all pleased with how Javert randomly spazzed out, either. That’s just…not Javert. >.>; In the book, his entire reaction to Valjean’s letting him go consists of two sentences: “I find this embarrassing. I’d rather you killed me.” That’s the Javert I know (and love, really).

I’m also kind of disappointed that Combeferre didn’t get a proper death scene; in the book, he’s trying to help an injured gendarme when he’s bayoneted to death, which I think is pretty fitting for him. Other than that, though, the final assault on the barricade was done relatively well – but I totally agree with you about the suitability of the random pop song. xD That was so ridiculously cheesy.

3. angedemystere says:

Oh my goodness, the screencap of Javert in this episode scared me and amused me at the same time. True, him flipping out is not really in accordance with the book but, hey, it’s kind of funny seeing him spaz out once in a while. I’m glad they didn’t just portray him as a bloody automaton.

But seriously, what the heck are they going to do for the rest of the series? There isn’t that much of the book left, I figured they drag out the barricade ordeal a bit more. Perhaps they didn’t want to torture viewers by having a few Les Amis dying one by one in each episode. Oh well. I wonder if Gavroche will die eventually, like the way Fantine did (excluding the help of a certain inspector *facepalm*). It’d be kinda nice if he lived, but it also would not be in the true spirit of Les Miz. I dunno. Some elaboration on the Thernadiers would be very welcomed, though, so I’m looking forward to that.

4. angedemystere says:

By the way, sorry I didn’t put this in my previous message, but I have to ask: was there a flashback somewhere in this episode? I only saw the little trailer for the episode on the official website, and there was what appeared to be a flashback with a young boy. Who was that?

5. Irene says:

That’d be Gavroche. There are plenty of flashbacks in this episode, but that wasn’t one of them – Gavroche actually survives the barricades and the scene you saw was of him recuperating.

6. Tania says:

Response to angedemystere
    Well, I must say there was another flashback in this episode, it’s when Javert is talking with Jean Valjean. I think it was actually him (Javert) when he was a little boy. But it’s hard to say, the boy looked much like Gavroche: he was walking on a road and was making his way through the wind. But I’m pretty sure it was Javert, why would he be talking about Gavroche. He didn’t even know him . I suppose this is the flashback you’re talking about. I’ve seen it too in the preview at the end of the previous episode: Gavroche lying on the bed and this scene coming from nowhere. I hope I could answer your question.

7. angedemystere says:

Yeah, I kinda thought it was Javert as a little boy, which I thought was totally awesome. I did consider that it might be Gavroche, but it sure didn’t look like him. I wish I knew what had been said in that conversation to justify such a flashback, maybe Javert’s explanation of how he was born in a prison, and therefore had been well acquainted with criminals all his life. He’s also a Gypsy (if you couldn’t tell by his appearance), so he realized that he could never really be a part of society, and that his only options, as he saw it, were to attack society (become a criminal) or defend it (become a lawman). Obviously he chose the latter.

8. Tania says:

Yeah, I felt just like you when Valjean and Javert talked . I wished I could understand everything Javert said . I know the plot but I really wanted to hear all the explanation he gave about himself. Why did he become like this? I loved the way he cracked up but every word he said sounded to mean something. It’s a pity we can’t understand cause there are no subtitles. I understood one thing : it’s that Javert can’t admit that Valjean could have changed. He really thought Valjean was about to kill him. What a deception for him to realize he was actually wrong! Valjean talked about Cosette too, he said he promised Fantine to protect her. But that’s about everything I understood.

9. Dookers says:

WTF RABID JAVERT. That screencap s gonna give me nightmares.

I must download this one. IfI don’t, then I’ll be doomed forever. INSANE JAVERT FTW.

10. angedemystere says:

Say, Dookers, you’re not Dookers_the_Weird on photobucket.com, are you? I hope so. ^^,

11. Irene says:

Oh, man, I hope it’s Ickle!Javert. :D That would be amazing.

12. angedemystere says:

Uhh . . . wha? lol Yay for rabid Javert!

13. FireChick says:

In case you want to know, World Masterpiece Theater is having Nippon Animation make an anime called Porufi no Nagai Tabi based on a French story. Wanna see that?

14. angedemystere says:

Which story? A well-known one? How does that title translate?

15. Irene says:

Looks like the anime’s an adaptation of Les Orphelins de Simitra by Paul-Jacques Bonzon.

I’ve never heard of it before, much less read it, but it sounds interesting…

16. psgels psgels says:

I must say, that the story is sounding really interesting. The concept of a travelling anime with the storytelling of a World Masterpiece-series sounds really promising. That will be one show I’m definitely going to follow. :)

17. GuruLazer says:

Does anyone know what’s happened to the raw episode for this? I can’t wait to see it, but can’t find it anywhere… I want to see ickle Javert! >_

18. angedemystere says:

Seriously, what the heck does “ickle” mean? I’m ignorant, help me out!

19. Irene says:

@angedemystere: Ickle = deliberate mispronunciation of “little.” xD

@GuruLazer: Have you tried SaiyaMan? That’s where I normally get my episodes.

20. angedemystere says:

Grrr, I thought so. Now I feel stupid. Oy.

Now that I understand it, I shall strongly concur: Ickle!Javert!

Does anyone have any idea when the rest of these episodes will be released onto DVD? I know that they’ve released up to episode 24 (sheesh, it took them long enough to release the latest one!). I know it would be best to wait at least until someone manages to sub all the episodes, but I don’t think I can wait that long! Ooh, and I wonder if anyone plans to have the show dubbed in English sometime soon. How long do such things usually take for anime?

21. thedoraemons says:

i saw it in the web! The 2008 World Masterpiece Theater series will be “Porphy no Nagai Tabi” (The Long Journey of Porphyras), based on French author Paul-Jacques Bonzon’s 1955 children’s novel The Orphans of Simitra. The new series is scheduled to premier on January 6, 2008 at 7:30 PM on the BS Fuji network.

22. angedemystere says:

Wow, finally got to see this. Javert’s rabid fest was probably my favorite part. He’s just so mean and snarky to Valjean, and then that maniacal laugh of his was incredible. But I really felt bad for him when he explained his origins – you could tell the anguish it causes him just to think about it. Despite the weirdness of it all, I’m still glad we had a glance at that side of Javert.

23. Nela says:

does anyone know where i can watch the entire anime? All the episodes

24. angedemystere says:

As far as I know, only on DVD or torrents (and a lot of those are dead by now). A number of sites had episodes on them, but Nippon found out and had them taken down on youtube and crunchyroll. Stage6Divx had a lot, but it doesn’t exist anymore. I really hope Nippon decides to at least broadcast, if not sell on DVD, the episodes in more countries (like the U.S.!). Grrr.

25. Elle says:

GAVROCHE!!!

26. cosette t. says:

ahahaa.. thanks for the reviews.
    my name is cosette so it was a bit weird readin it, but im sorta glad they had an anime for les miserables.
    Can anyone tell me if its anything like the plays or the book?
    i havnt read the book or seen the play.. and since i like anime and want to know the story that goes along with my name, would i be satisfied just watching the anime?
    thanks:)

• Hannah says:

Cosette T.- I’ve never read the book, but I know many details about it and have read the cliffs notes and sections of the book. Not true to the musical, very true to the book (from what I know…). Except that in the book Gavroche dies… Also, I would see the musical- it’s worth it. I adore the music, the story, the characters…

27. angedemystere says:

While the anime is close in many respects to the book (moreso than the musical), I would never substitute it for the book. You should give the book a chance if you can. Yeah, it’s long, but it shows much more about the characters that the anime couldn’t cover. And some big things were changed. Gah. The anime does not draw on the musical since the musical is also an adaptation of the book. Hope that helps.

28. Hannah says:

Cosette T.- I’ve never red the book, but I know many details about it and have read the cliffs notes and sections of the book. Not true to the musical, very true to the book (from what I know…). Except that in the book Gavroche dies… On that note- OP, why is Gavy not dying UNFORTUNATE? I mean, I know it’s not cannon, but I love Gavroche… I guess I’m a little biased, bu it’s silly, I think, for him not dying to be a negative aspect to the episode.

Alonaria
Honestly, the shorter stories have been more effective at getting a reaction out of me, though. I actually didn't really enjoy the first episode's first story, mostly because I found the MC too obnoxious. :.D Maybe because my younger brother chased me with a bug once and it was really unpleasant. XD
@Anon: It wasn't just it coming out of her mouth, but when they were stamping on them too.
@Kaiser: Yah, I was horrified for like 5 seconds but the other characters made me crack up. :.D
Although it was mixed in with laughing my ass of eventually.
Of all the Itou stories to be un-nerved by, its the second half of this third episode oddly that does it for me and I never get uncomfortable during anything .
@Anon, We are working on it.
Are you planning on making a top anime of 2017 list?
Yeah Mash is one of the few good ones it seems.
Oh damn, good that you remind me, I didn't pick anything yet. But I guess I will go with Altera, considering that some of them don't look that good and I own her anyway. Would have wanted the Scat one but the drawing looks weird.
Which Bond CE did you pick for the 2 mill? I went with the Mash one. Only only whose artwork I liked.
Might settle for making Bryn my endgame lancer though.
As I said in my Apocrypha post, I have no interest in any version of Jeanne. My top priorities for my endgame team is Isekander, Scathach and assassin Shiki. And Shiki is a welfare so only need to worry about the other two.
Yeah, I was considering to keep rolling for the new 4* at first but I really want Jeanne Alter and she's coming soon.
@Amagi, I tried rolling for Karna and got nothing. Though I think Bryn is better. I plan on rolling one more time with the saint quartz we are getting to try for NP2. Though we do have the valintines event coming.
@Aidan: Same here, just got Brynhildr. Even though I already got Karna last month. But I wanted her, nice design, finally a single-targed 5* and she's even one of the few servants related to my country.
@SuperMario. The contemplation of the death of humanity, and the loneliness, both were very disturbing to me. Kinda like thinking of my grave.
YANDERE GET. Bryn's mine baby.
Gonna try rolling for Brynhildr tomorrow. Bit annoyed they chose to translate it as Brynhild. I mean it's not incorrect but her name is far more recognisable as Brynhildr
@Amagi, The grind wasn't that bad for me. Mordred carried me for it. Though I managed to get Siegfried in the gacha despite not being on rate up. I admit that the event was rather lackluster. Story wasn't that fun and the whole saber restriction was a pain. Also gonna take me a while to readjust to regular damage.
Man that FGO Saber Wars event was annoying. I am happy finally I have 2 mio. altrium now and am done with it.
Reminder that netflix Godzilla anime is later today.
Damn I didn't noticed that ankle band of the little demon from the intro scene of FranXX 01, now I feel stupid.
Yuasa is great! Ping pong and Tatami Galaxy are still some of my favorites
Oh fuck, the lead singer of the Cranberries passed away. I literally just listened to their music yesterday. Damnn, sad news
@Kaiser; thanks for considering me but I believe Wooper is much more a Yuasa's fan than I am
Far out!!!
SuperWooper
Yuasa will be answering questions on Reddit's anime board on the 20th.
@Niello: what do you mean regarding Yuasa?
@Travlos: I agree that Girls Last Tour is a special little gem, but in what ways it's disturbing?
Niello
Holy cow, Masaaki Yuasa AMA!! What magic is this?
Niello
Meawhile, Japan took a different approach and we ends up with a bunch of .hack rehash and diving more and more into escapism. Until we eventually got isekai and then it just spiraled into a sea of mediocrity.
Niello
While that opened its own can of worms, at least it opens up element about making ends meet, managing irl relationships, earning extra income for a poor family, getting cheated etc.
Niello
in the characters real life just fine. Something more a long the line of Net-juu but more technologically advanced. And I would say that plenty of those have been superior to Japanese online game and isekai story shenanigans. That said, it doesn't mean that those don't have their own kind of traps they usually fall in. A bunch of those instead focus on the aspect of making money off of games.
Niello
...Getting stuck in a virtual reality game and being transport to another world that happens to be like a game are completely different though. I don't know what is it with Japan and getting stuck in game plots considering that there are loads of other game-base Asian novels that came before it that manage story lines where they manage to tell compelling stories in game while balancing what happen
I finally finished Girls Last Tour. What a profound, fluffy and disturbing masterpiece. Bravo.
Yeah. I feel the world swap is pretty much pointless when real life isn't relevant anymore. It's just a stupid as hell excuse to combine fantasy wish fullfilment with self-inserts, which is why these main characters tend to be 29 by now, just like the big part of the otaku community.
Of those you listed, no, I dont think they get explained? I mean, SAO did, but I dont think that falls into your category.

Thats why I liked .hack//sign over alot of more modern game Isekai. Also .hack//sign did explain what happened to Tsukasa.
Considering how bad most of these are I wouldn't wonder if they wouldn't even bother with an explanation and just end it with the characters being happy in that game world and that's it. Or magic and the whole harem gets transported into reality at the end because power of love and such.
I have no problem with a sci-fi fantasy mix, I liked .hack//sign for example, but it annoys me that such an incredibly bizarre situation gets never explained. Or maybe it will but it never happened so far because none of these LNs was ever finished and concluded yet. I just wish to know how they explain that.
I mean all those shows in which the character just finds himself stuck in a real world that's (coincidentally?) the same as the game he recently played. Be it Overlord, Death March, Log Horizon or the 300 other series with that premise.
Some thing that always bothered me about game isekai for which I never got an answer so far: did any of those series ever end and/or explain how the warp has happened and why the MC is in the game? - Not talking about .hack, SAO and such where the action of getting trapped is part of the premise
Niel
@Eoghan - Btw, Kokkoku isn't a time travel. it's stasis, apparently. Looks very promising so far. Though if I am to trust the manga score, it's shit.
Niel
But is Toradora really slice of life? As far as I can see it's straight up romance.
And Mario, ill rag on SOL all I want! :P

Wooper, its true good shows transcend genre, as there are still some like Toradora I like, but those are exceptions that prove the rule so to speak.
@Niel, yeah I base my potential % on the odds something gets/stays good.
I am of similar mindset about Franxx. I want it to get better but I don't really see it doing so. Unless the other characters get a majority personality boost or the MC stops being a plank.
Niel
XD
I confess....I only sat through just over half an episode of aldonoah.
Niel
Since it's Trigger, I will give the benefit of the doubt. I'm just very skeptical about this whole formula.
Niel
The way I can see this series improving is through world building. And if other aspects are going to improve too, it's going to revolve around that.
Niel
It leaves about as much impression on me as much as the first episode of Aldnoah did, and I dropped that one straight away. The character chemistry doesn't look like it will go places that's not cliche. The gimmick doesn't seem like it has much potential either.
Niel
So you're all betting it on "this is going to get better". I mean, I hope it gets better. Though right now this feels more Kiznaiver than Kill la Kill or LWA.
I'd nominate Mario to do the devilman review as he's the most immediate Yuasa fan to do it and Bam is too awol to write it.
The cute girl shows just bleed and blend in my mind now, same with the isekai shows.
Devilman, my show of the season, unless after the rain ends up having some emotional wallop.
So for me its looking like: Junji itou, Cardcaptor sakura, keeping up with sangatsu, wait and see on amegari . Not watching a time travel or trigger show and I remain unable to sit through Mahoutsukai .
The story itself is generic so far but so are most Trigger series at the beginning so not sure. Maybe it will stay weak, but in general I prefer series that start with the weaker episodes and get better and better over time over the many series that use up all of their budget and trump cards in the first episode and drag on after that.
I really love Trigger's esthetics and their characters. I am happy they're more often involved in non-trigger-only productions because I honestly think that most of the stuff I enjoyed about FranXX was heavily influenced by them.
@Nielo: Franxx's first ep was stellar for me. Storywise, it's lackluster (and I see the similar in tropes between this and Beatless) but production-wise it's excellent
I think I just keep watching it on a weekly basis. Still trippy as hell
Okay, I just watched second episode of Devilman Crybaby and it's still pretty good.
Nielo
By the way, what's up with Darling in the Franxx? I thought it's a very weak first episode.
Nielo
@Lenlo: Slice of life isn't my thing either, and I usually avoid series set in high school.
Nielo
@SuperMario: Takagi-san is cute, I'll admit that, but since I already read the manga it's not new to me. Sora Yori is good, but it's not particularly cute. I found Hakumei to Mikochi and Yuru Camp very boring. Haven't got the chance to watch Mitsuboshi Colors or Gakuen Babysisters but I don't think they could be more cute than Mii-kun.
SuperWooper
HOT TAKE: Genre is irrelevant. What matters is whether a show is good.
Don't knock off MY genre Lenlo. It's one of the reason I got into anime in the first place :)
Im not saying it doesn't do what it sets out to. I just don't think what it sets out to do is all that... great.
@Niello, Slice of Life was never my Genre in the first place :/ I typically avoid them. I have my own life to deal with and already graduated high school, why would I want to deal with a melodramatic anime highschool, is my line of thought.
@Niello: okay, let's see:Takagi-san (the titular character), Mitsuboshi Colors, Gakuen Babysisters (Toddlers!!), Hakumei to Milochi (tiny girls) and two more slightly more mature but equally cute: Sora Yori and Yuru Camp's casts
Nielllo
@SuperMario: I'm sure this is where our definition of "cute" parts way, but I'll ask anyway, what are those 5 shows?
@Niello: seems so because I can eaisily pick 5 more shows that are cuter, and better than Mummy this season ;)
Nielllo
...So I suppose I'm the only one who's kinda bored out by a lot of the slice of life shows that's trying to be cute this season and only perked up by the Mummy anime because it's actually do what it's meant to do and be legit cute.
I am interested in Koi, but still have concern about the relationship itself.

@Vonter, the mummy anime would be better as short vignettes together I feel.
Koi amegari is surprisingly tasteful, subdued and pretty.
*to where
Try as I might, my love of kyoani tv anime has largely evaporated did where I no longer want to bother at this stage, I'll just wait and see. I'll just stay quiet on the franxx anime, theres little value in me trying to get through a trigger work at this point.
I get the exact same feeling with Takagi-san. It's pretty good on what it does but 20 minutes of the same thing for a whole season doesn't sound that promising
The chibi mummy anime
It's a shame it isn't a shorter 10 or 5 minute series, I think that format would make it shine more, since it does what it's trying to do.
Speaking of it, I liked the second episode of Kokkuko or whatever the name is even more than the first one.
I really have a problem with all these shows that rely on one single thing, joke, shenanigan or whatever. Be it something cute, some certain kind of interactiong or whatever. It doesn't matter how good it is it will bore me with episode 2.
Like, yeah, the mummy was cute. But the cute became rote/bland really quick. There has to be more than "cute" to be worth watching for more than a single episode to me.
@Niello, I was harsh because its not aimed at me. I wanted to drop it 5 minutes in, kept up for the post, then was thankful it was over. There wasnt anything overtly bad about it. Its just there was nothing good either.
To be fair it's not as if we are lacking cute in this season.
In fact it's in danger of inflation.
@Niello: yes, the mummy is cute, the show is cute but beside that it's pretty mediocre. That show in particular is the only show that I have the damnest time to give it a potential rating.
Niello
It's not even down because of legal reasons, since the site pull down contents that are lincensed. It's down cause it's too much for the site owner to manage. Much of it also have to do with too many bots, which comes back to how a lot of other sites are relying on batoto.
Niello
@Masky: Not enough manga titles are getting translated. Batoto is the site scanlation groups basically rely on, and where other aggregation sites pull their content from. No batoto no obscure titles, a big blow to small scantation groups and one big manga/scanlator community down.
Niello
Why are you guys so harsh on the mummy show? It's so darn cute. Give it some credit. If a comedy show can be good because it does comedy well I don't see why a show ike Mummy can't be good if it can make people go "aww".
I don't really know why that is the case, maybe marketing budget and UI friendliness when done right? :P
Eh, wouldn't say it will kill manga industry. I mean, more and more official methods of reading manga online is starting to pop up and legit channels to pay to get access to manga can surprisingly enough harm free channels to get manga.
Anyway, I do find it funny how how the isekai character dies can be so meaningless that is joke in most of them
Niello
Batoto is going down, how this affect the manga reading is going to be interesting. Hope it's not slowly dying.
(at least that one, besides forgetting to introduce what the heck is gimmick besides generickness, acknowledged how most of otaku mcs shouldn't erally want to get transferred to fantasy world since they never get to see how their favourite mangas end :P )
Anyhoo, it gets annoying since its not just isekai being cliche, sometimes is just them being kind of badly written(or at least adapted to manga). Like, I found one new isekai today, but I have no idea what its gimmick is(from what I understood, its that "cute companion" that character gets is hideously op because mc didn't spefy cute girl when he asked god manager dude for cute companion)
Slime one is one of better from the more generic ones weirdly enough :P I mean I still wouldn't call it good, but at least MC character isn't god tier, just top tier and it has sort of village building simulation feel to it. Plus at least naming things giving monsters more powers is something funny regarding jrpg mechanics
Or alternatively the car was on a boat with the character or parents in it and the boat and car were hit by a falling plane lol
Its always "car accident" that sends the characters to another world or in harem cases "Lost parents due to car crash", for christs sake doesn't anyone die in out of control plane or speedboat crashes anymore, at least make it a motorbike....
Nayrael
Ah sorry, should probably not have touched the colors...
Nayrael
Trust me, Isekai is better when it doesn't try to be imaginative. When it tries to be original then... Isekai with a Smartphone... Isekai where the MC turns into a Slime... and my favorite: Isekai where the MC became a Hot Spring popular with sexy girls.
Assuming "new" things can happen under the sun
Anyhoo, I do wonder what the heck will be next "popular genre trope that will become so overused cliche that everyone groans whenever show uses it even if its actually good show"
Like, seriously you could do really interesting story variant on isekai with that if done right. Suddenly becoming characters you have roleplayed would be trippy as hell espicially if one of characters went really into detail with backstory while one of them is just "Bob the fighter, he likes fighting" and has to deal with what happens when you assume life of such a person
But I wouldn't honestly be surprised because of my anger issues related to amount of unimaginative isekai :P Though I guess trpg based one would be more imaginative in comparison
I'd assume not since I assume tabletop rpgs are much more niche than jrpgs in japan
So has anyone yet done isekai where guys getting transferred were playing trpg? :P
quite happy with most recent Attack of Titan manga chapter.
Alright, one more impression post to go before we really get on to new season
@Kaiser: yep, I just fixed it. Thank you
*than just the reviewers names
A slight problem with the coding there in the newest impression, showing code gobbledeegook rather than the reviewers names above their impressions.
@Mario: I'm seeing it on 2nd of February.
@Mario: Late screeners generally leak shortly after the uk release, so maybe early Febbruary it'll be online?
@Kaiser: yep, Phantom Thread. Could be Daniel Day Lewis's final performance. Is it available online already?
@Mario: Did you know that Paul Thomas Anderso8n has a new film coming out? Also I found out there is a Polish semi-knockoff of purple rose of cairo.
Awesome, just got myself an invite to a secret private torrent site =)
@Kaiser When I was in University, I was a waiter at a Korean-owned Japanese Sushi restaurant with a kitchen staff of entirely Mexicans with poor English. The owner, while he provided the rest of his staff with small meals during our lunch or dinner shifts, never game any to the kitchen staff. The guy even ranted to a customer about how "lazy" or "ignorant" they were.
Buses are pretty common in America, even outside the major super-cities like LA, NYC, or Chicago. It's public rail you're thinking of that we don't have much of outside the cities.
I brought up the racisim/aunt story wondering if anyone had any horror stories about where they worked?
@Bokusen: Buses don't seem to be a thing in America, meanwhile over here, despite traffic, public transport is much more of a thing, couldn't imagine not getting a train or bus somewhere.
@Amagi. I must say you changed my positive view of the German education system.
@Amagi: And yet Austria gets the far right party in power and Israel also has a far right apartheid leader.
If any good came from it, her boss got banned from facebook .
Two years ago the alt/new right hold a rally here since they're successful elsewhere with their anti-immigrant/PoC speeches. In the end it was 35 nazis vs 29.000 counter-demonstrators. The joke: when they had to leave with police protection they shouted "We are the people". Yes 35 hated bigots are surely the people, not the 29k. I laughed.
@Kaiser-Eoghan: That aunt story is pretty shit. I am kinda happy about smartphones nowadays, you can often make photos or record speech if you are witnessing something. Also, thank God the racists in my city are very rare since antifa and leftwingers took hold of it decades ago - now 70% of people are immigrants so racists don't even tend to show up anymore.
Nielllo
Great. I don't think most of what I wrote actually appeared in the chat.
Niello
what I'm going to do in the long run.
Niello
While Liberal art colleges are really good for developing writing and reading skills, the truth is in science classes you still don't do much of that. it's also limited by general lack of equipments that you get at bigger Uni. My college don't even have engineering.
Bokusen
@Kaiser Darn it, I hate it when racists try to justify their beliefs. That guy sounds like a major jerk!
Bokusen
@Niello Ah, yeah I think I might have preferred the UK system too if they give a month to study for exams! Wow...That sounds much nicer. Oh, and yeah, I wish the US had better public transport too... After seeing Japan's public transport system, I wish the US's could be more like it.
The landlords love to kickout people through unfair prices a stick their friends in instead.
Since we're on careers, it reminds me, one of my aunts telling me what a bastard her boss was, guy was a racist, she complained about it then he got rid of all the evidence linking him to it and made it seem as if she was the rascist and humiliated her in front of her Arab friends.
I think we all end up getting this huge kick in the ass moment where we learn andget it together.
It gets better thankfully, grew up and am happy with this postal clerk job.
The landlord story is a common one, they still think themselves feudal lords.
And yeah, all this neet time. Although not moving out isn't that uncommon here anymore, considering how the rent increases, especially in my region (European bank city). And if I look at my friends it seems like they've the same problems. Even those who have found their dream jobs are otherwise living a nerdy life, going to pubs at night and so on. I think a part of us will always stay twenty.
@Kaiser-Eoghan: This "career" was exactly the same for me. I am pretty sure I wasn't even capable of thinking about my future up until, as you said, mid-twenties. There were just so many other things that interested/bothered me, school wasn't even among my top 30s or so.
@Amagi: Oh how I regret not getting into novels, noe my concentration is too shit to read them.
Actually I don't think teenagers even really know who they themselves actually are .
Youth is wasted on the young.
I remember wasting so many chances to properly appreciate and get into certain things when I was younger too, when I actually had the time. We have no idea how to use it at that age.
The answer is down to the kid themselves wising up early and adults needing to find a way to REALLY motivate kids.
I hated being in that position, leeching off my parents/the state.
I remember as a teenager thinking watching films/anime/playing videogames with my friends/brother would last forever, then getting a dose of reality that everyone just moved on .
and between short contracts you spend months as a neet.
You just end up bouncing between go nowhere evening/day courses that are more about putting asses on seats than actually getting anyone anywhere.
and then you find out you dossed off so much in school you can't get to grips with university.
I wouldn't recommend anyone doing what I did in my teens and early 20s, dossing off all the time, then finding out you have to wait five years to go to college as mature student, your school results are middling and not job/college useful, end up taking forever to get to the stage where you can start building up temporary job experience because no one will hire you.

Violet Evergarden – 02 [Never Coming Back]

I’m thankful that this second episode plays out much quieter and more subtle than the first, because I’m not a fan at all with the grandeur approach of the first episode. This makes the second week of Violet slightly better than last week, but I still find myself not totally satisfied with the whole experience. […]

Kokkoku – 2 [The Second Moment]

Hello and welcome to the 2018 Winter season! This time, we have an interesting little time-based drama called Kokkoku. It has mystery, it has cults, it has dead-beat parents and apparent god-like beings. Lets jump in! To start, a quick blurb about our characters. Personally, I like them so far. They are all flawed and imperfect […]

A Place Further than the Universe – 03 [The Follow Backs Don’t Stop]

“I could just die right now” That line, spoken by our new member, Yuzuki, bookends this week’s Universe. It marks the shift in the new girl’s character growth. Last week, the Expedition girls mentioned they have a plan to raise fund, right? Turns out it’s not the mother, but the young girl herself, is used […]

Junji Ito Collection – 02[Fashion Model, Long Dreams]

After the first episode started off as a black comedy, I was worried that this series may suffer the same problem as Kino’s Journey in that the weaker stories in his work would be chosen for adaption. Lucky this does not appear to be the case but there is another problem which is not quite […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 13/14 [East, West, Homes Best]/[Looks breed love]

Hello and welcome to the new year! New Year, a new Cour for Mahoutsukai no Yome, this time with slightly more plot. These past two weeks have been a bumpy ride of Mahoutsukai, with plenty to talk about. So let’s jump in! To start off, the new OP is terrible. The music isn’t as good […]

A Place Further than the Universe – 02 [Kabukicho Fremantle]

I’m glad that this second episode addresses straight out all my worries from the first episode: the actual implementation to make that trip a reality, because boy, it’s no simple matter. Universe apparently does its research, telling us exactly places they need to go, the initial trip ahead and the amount of money they need […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 33/34 [Where the Sun Shines…Light]

It’s been three weeks since my last 3-gatsu post, a gap owed in part to the break the show took around New Years’. Perhaps it’s because of all that time away from the series, or maybe it’s due to the massive difference between these two episodes, but I had a tough time connecting with the […]

Dies Irae – 10/11[Einherjar/Self-Destruction Factor]

Quite late in covering this one though out of the three shows I covered for the fall season my level of interest in this series has more or less evaporated. Truth be told, while this is a episode review of ten and eleven, i honestly cannot even remember what happened in episode ten. I think […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 12 [Better to ask the way than go astray]

Welcome to the end of Mahoutsukai’s first cour! Apologies for the lateness of this review. I had expected another to come out over Christmas and to simply do a double feature, but Mahoutsukai pulled on over on me! This week we finish up Chise’s wand, get to see Grandfather Nevin again and have an almost […]

In This Corner of the World (2016) Movie Review – 90/100

In this Corner of the World (for the purpose of this review, I’ll refer it as “Corner”), is the truest slice of life drama if you ever encounter one, in that it’s a slice into an ordinary life of an ordinary girl during the War period. That speaks into the very first strength of Corner, […]

Houseki no Kuni (Fall 2017) Review – 92/100

Make no mistake, Houseki no Kuni is the most ambitious anime project of the year. Not only because it’s an entirely CG project (and make a damn good use of it, mind you), or because of its narrative scope that at once strange, grand and beauty, but also in its very conception in their production […]

Fate/Apocrypha Anime Review – 64/100

I was quite excited for Apocrypha and in the so called year of Fate adaptations, it looked to be the crown jewel. Sadly, partly due to lacking adaption and the source lacking in areas, this anime turned out to be not quite the jewel I thought it would be. It’s hard to call this a […]

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World Anime Review – 73/100

One of the surprises of the year was to see the return of Kino’s Journey, a very well regarded and more unique anime among those deemed classic. Many, myself included, were very much looking forward to the return of Kino and her talking Motorrad. Though due to some factors this series doesn’t quite live up […]

Girls’ Last Tour (Fall 2017) Review – 86/100

Girls’ Last Tour falls within my favorite new trend that emerging the anime medium over the last decade: a dark moe anime. Set in a post-apocalyptic world where the human race has almost extinct, our two girls wandering around the world in their kettenkrad looking for food and shelter. If it sounds a bit bleak […]

Two tales of War: Reviewing The Heroic Legend of Arslan and Altair: A Record of Battles

It would not be an exaggeration to say that my favorite type of anime is the political-military epic. This comes partly out of my profession, I study war and politics, but also my hobby, as military and political history is something I enjoy. When it comes to anime there is a clear sub-category that can […]

The Night is Short, Walk On Girl (2017) Movie Review – 92.5/100

“How many decades have passed since our drinking contest?” “It hasn’t been that long. It was only a few hours ago, this very night!” That gap in time perceiving plays a significant role in Night is Short. For you see, it all depends on how our perception of the surroundings and time itself can affect […]

Ballroom e Youkoso Review – 65/100

In the weeks leading up to the summer 2017 season, Ballroom e Youkoso was one of the most buzzed-about new series. Produced by the Production I.G. team responsible for the smash hit Haikyuu!!, and set to air on Amazon’s brand new Anime Strike service, the series had no shortage of promotion or hype behind it. […]

Inuyashiki Review – 80/100

Do you know what the average age of an anime protagonist is? Neither do I, but I’d wager its in the upper teens. For obvious reasons, most anime focus on high school and have high school aged protagonists with similarly aged problems. Its not often that we get a good older main character, who has […]