Posted by psgels on 5 November 2007 with categories: Les Miserables - Shoujo Cosette

Oh, that was amazing. This episode concludes the fourth arc of the series. Gavroche unfortunately lives, but to make up for it, we get treated to an outstanding episode. Obviously, spoilers are going to follow.

The definite highlight was the face-down between Jean and Javert. Seriously, that’s what I call an antagonist! Takano from Higurashi just bleaks when compared to Javert and the excellent development the guy’s been having through the series. The way he convinced himself how Jean was pure evil, and how humans can’t change was magnificent, and it was awesome to see how Jean basically let the guy go, so was the entirely different side Javert showed of himself in the process.

And boy, I never expected ALL of Les Amis to friggin’ DIE at the end of the episode! The insert song may have been a tad wrong, but still… whoa. I also loved the conversation between Jean and Enjorlas (I gave up trying to spell his name correctly), and how they think about the future generation. While the current revolution failed, it’ll give inspiration for the future, where the next generation can pick up where Les Amis left and truly change the country. It was also an excellent scene where the drinking-guy (forgot his name! I don’t care!), after having been absent for so long, symbolically saved Enjorlas, before both of them got killed by the incoming policemen.

Jean and Marius are probably the only survivors, as they manage to escape through the sewers. The final arc is going to be a short one (only eight episodes!), but something tells me that the creators have saved a few ace for last: the Thenardiers! They’ve been quiet for the past climax, because none of them but Eponine had anything to do with the revolution, but the fact remains that Thenardier still holds a huge grudge against Jean. He’s going to do something to him… but what…?

1. Tania says:

Do you think they won’t leave Gavroche die? I’m pretty sure Cosette had saved him but it’s quite hard to say. I know I should be glad for him but I just can’t help thinking it’s really unfair : why he has been saved whereas Eponine had to die?! They could have imagined something to prevent her from dying, something like Montparnasse saving her life or something.
    Actually, I would be much happier if the two of them ( Eponine and Gavroche)would have survived. I would have loved to see them meeting each other and getting closer. To see them just like brother and sister. I know Eponine had regrets about them never being too close as they should be ( that’s because of their mother who never liked boys).
    Well I’m sure the next episode will give the answer about Gavroche and Cosette. I hope they will get to talk to each other at least. I’ve been waiting for this moment for a long time.
    I wish the revolution would end soon. But another element that I noticed : when the characters die , they don’t lose blood ( Eponine did!). We don’t have the feeling they’re wounded because there isn’t any wound
    visible when they fall.
    Oh! and I can’t wait to see what’s going to happen with the other Thénardier and, above all, Azelma ( my second favorite character).
    I wish they would be released. They’ve been in jail for quite a long time! And moreover, Azelma should’t be there, she’s, by far, too young. Anyway, let’s hope they will soon reappear. Poor Azelma, her dream about living together with her mother and Eponine would never become true . It makes me feel really sad.

2. Irene says:

Enjolras. And Grantaire’s the drunk guy. xD

I’m still flabbergasted that Gavroche actually survives. That’s just…I mean, I know Cosette needs to have something to do in the anime, because otherwise she’d just be sitting there, but it’s called Les Miserables for a reason! D: Gavroche is supposed to die!

I wasn’t at all pleased with how Javert randomly spazzed out, either. That’s just…not Javert. >.>; In the book, his entire reaction to Valjean’s letting him go consists of two sentences: “I find this embarrassing. I’d rather you killed me.” That’s the Javert I know (and love, really).

I’m also kind of disappointed that Combeferre didn’t get a proper death scene; in the book, he’s trying to help an injured gendarme when he’s bayoneted to death, which I think is pretty fitting for him. Other than that, though, the final assault on the barricade was done relatively well – but I totally agree with you about the suitability of the random pop song. xD That was so ridiculously cheesy.

3. angedemystere says:

Oh my goodness, the screencap of Javert in this episode scared me and amused me at the same time. True, him flipping out is not really in accordance with the book but, hey, it’s kind of funny seeing him spaz out once in a while. I’m glad they didn’t just portray him as a bloody automaton.

But seriously, what the heck are they going to do for the rest of the series? There isn’t that much of the book left, I figured they drag out the barricade ordeal a bit more. Perhaps they didn’t want to torture viewers by having a few Les Amis dying one by one in each episode. Oh well. I wonder if Gavroche will die eventually, like the way Fantine did (excluding the help of a certain inspector *facepalm*). It’d be kinda nice if he lived, but it also would not be in the true spirit of Les Miz. I dunno. Some elaboration on the Thernadiers would be very welcomed, though, so I’m looking forward to that.

4. angedemystere says:

By the way, sorry I didn’t put this in my previous message, but I have to ask: was there a flashback somewhere in this episode? I only saw the little trailer for the episode on the official website, and there was what appeared to be a flashback with a young boy. Who was that?

5. Irene says:

That’d be Gavroche. There are plenty of flashbacks in this episode, but that wasn’t one of them – Gavroche actually survives the barricades and the scene you saw was of him recuperating.

6. Tania says:

Response to angedemystere
    Well, I must say there was another flashback in this episode, it’s when Javert is talking with Jean Valjean. I think it was actually him (Javert) when he was a little boy. But it’s hard to say, the boy looked much like Gavroche: he was walking on a road and was making his way through the wind. But I’m pretty sure it was Javert, why would he be talking about Gavroche. He didn’t even know him . I suppose this is the flashback you’re talking about. I’ve seen it too in the preview at the end of the previous episode: Gavroche lying on the bed and this scene coming from nowhere. I hope I could answer your question.

7. angedemystere says:

Yeah, I kinda thought it was Javert as a little boy, which I thought was totally awesome. I did consider that it might be Gavroche, but it sure didn’t look like him. I wish I knew what had been said in that conversation to justify such a flashback, maybe Javert’s explanation of how he was born in a prison, and therefore had been well acquainted with criminals all his life. He’s also a Gypsy (if you couldn’t tell by his appearance), so he realized that he could never really be a part of society, and that his only options, as he saw it, were to attack society (become a criminal) or defend it (become a lawman). Obviously he chose the latter.

8. Tania says:

Yeah, I felt just like you when Valjean and Javert talked . I wished I could understand everything Javert said . I know the plot but I really wanted to hear all the explanation he gave about himself. Why did he become like this? I loved the way he cracked up but every word he said sounded to mean something. It’s a pity we can’t understand cause there are no subtitles. I understood one thing : it’s that Javert can’t admit that Valjean could have changed. He really thought Valjean was about to kill him. What a deception for him to realize he was actually wrong! Valjean talked about Cosette too, he said he promised Fantine to protect her. But that’s about everything I understood.

9. Dookers says:

WTF RABID JAVERT. That screencap s gonna give me nightmares.

I must download this one. IfI don’t, then I’ll be doomed forever. INSANE JAVERT FTW.

10. angedemystere says:

Say, Dookers, you’re not Dookers_the_Weird on photobucket.com, are you? I hope so. ^^,

11. Irene says:

Oh, man, I hope it’s Ickle!Javert. :D That would be amazing.

12. angedemystere says:

Uhh . . . wha? lol Yay for rabid Javert!

13. FireChick says:

In case you want to know, World Masterpiece Theater is having Nippon Animation make an anime called Porufi no Nagai Tabi based on a French story. Wanna see that?

14. angedemystere says:

Which story? A well-known one? How does that title translate?

15. Irene says:

Looks like the anime’s an adaptation of Les Orphelins de Simitra by Paul-Jacques Bonzon.

I’ve never heard of it before, much less read it, but it sounds interesting…

16. psgels psgels says:

I must say, that the story is sounding really interesting. The concept of a travelling anime with the storytelling of a World Masterpiece-series sounds really promising. That will be one show I’m definitely going to follow. :)

17. GuruLazer says:

Does anyone know what’s happened to the raw episode for this? I can’t wait to see it, but can’t find it anywhere… I want to see ickle Javert! >_

18. angedemystere says:

Seriously, what the heck does “ickle” mean? I’m ignorant, help me out!

19. Irene says:

@angedemystere: Ickle = deliberate mispronunciation of “little.” xD

@GuruLazer: Have you tried SaiyaMan? That’s where I normally get my episodes.

20. angedemystere says:

Grrr, I thought so. Now I feel stupid. Oy.

Now that I understand it, I shall strongly concur: Ickle!Javert!

Does anyone have any idea when the rest of these episodes will be released onto DVD? I know that they’ve released up to episode 24 (sheesh, it took them long enough to release the latest one!). I know it would be best to wait at least until someone manages to sub all the episodes, but I don’t think I can wait that long! Ooh, and I wonder if anyone plans to have the show dubbed in English sometime soon. How long do such things usually take for anime?

21. thedoraemons says:

i saw it in the web! The 2008 World Masterpiece Theater series will be “Porphy no Nagai Tabi” (The Long Journey of Porphyras), based on French author Paul-Jacques Bonzon’s 1955 children’s novel The Orphans of Simitra. The new series is scheduled to premier on January 6, 2008 at 7:30 PM on the BS Fuji network.

22. angedemystere says:

Wow, finally got to see this. Javert’s rabid fest was probably my favorite part. He’s just so mean and snarky to Valjean, and then that maniacal laugh of his was incredible. But I really felt bad for him when he explained his origins – you could tell the anguish it causes him just to think about it. Despite the weirdness of it all, I’m still glad we had a glance at that side of Javert.

23. Nela says:

does anyone know where i can watch the entire anime? All the episodes

24. angedemystere says:

As far as I know, only on DVD or torrents (and a lot of those are dead by now). A number of sites had episodes on them, but Nippon found out and had them taken down on youtube and crunchyroll. Stage6Divx had a lot, but it doesn’t exist anymore. I really hope Nippon decides to at least broadcast, if not sell on DVD, the episodes in more countries (like the U.S.!). Grrr.

25. Elle says:

GAVROCHE!!!

26. cosette t. says:

ahahaa.. thanks for the reviews.
    my name is cosette so it was a bit weird readin it, but im sorta glad they had an anime for les miserables.
    Can anyone tell me if its anything like the plays or the book?
    i havnt read the book or seen the play.. and since i like anime and want to know the story that goes along with my name, would i be satisfied just watching the anime?
    thanks:)

• Hannah says:

Cosette T.- I’ve never read the book, but I know many details about it and have read the cliffs notes and sections of the book. Not true to the musical, very true to the book (from what I know…). Except that in the book Gavroche dies… Also, I would see the musical- it’s worth it. I adore the music, the story, the characters…

27. angedemystere says:

While the anime is close in many respects to the book (moreso than the musical), I would never substitute it for the book. You should give the book a chance if you can. Yeah, it’s long, but it shows much more about the characters that the anime couldn’t cover. And some big things were changed. Gah. The anime does not draw on the musical since the musical is also an adaptation of the book. Hope that helps.

28. Hannah says:

Cosette T.- I’ve never red the book, but I know many details about it and have read the cliffs notes and sections of the book. Not true to the musical, very true to the book (from what I know…). Except that in the book Gavroche dies… On that note- OP, why is Gavy not dying UNFORTUNATE? I mean, I know it’s not cannon, but I love Gavroche… I guess I’m a little biased, bu it’s silly, I think, for him not dying to be a negative aspect to the episode.

Shoutbox

Name:
Email:
For:
Mail will not be published
  • K-Off
    (Tuesday, Jun 28. 2016 10:01 AM)
    Well, accidentally deleted my next comment. Basically just ranting about the geniuses at the VA suddenly cutting off veterans from oxycodone after they’d been dependant on it for decades.
  • K-Off
    (Tuesday, Jun 28. 2016 09:26 AM)
    @Bam I had a mild dependence on ritalin during my first year at ucla, and I just went cold turkey after spring. While I didn’t have it nearly as bad as my meth-addicted friends, I tried to distract myself in those first few weeks by working part time as much as I could to get my mind off that shit along with a joint at night.
  • Bam
    (Tuesday, Jun 28. 2016 06:27 AM)
    Also I wholeheartedly agree that marijuana immensely helps with quitting other harder drugs. Benzodiazepines like Xanax are a powerful tool as well, especially against the anxiety they’ll be going thru, but they are also very easy to get hooked on. Don’t want to trade one addiction for another.
  • Bam
    (Tuesday, Jun 28. 2016 06:25 AM)
    @K-off: I’ve helped a couple of people lay off the needle, so I’m not too shabby at supporting. There is a willpower component to it that is essential and falls completely on the individual themself. It’s so frustrating to deal with an addict, one of the main reasons of my recent stress, but my stupid conscience kicks in at most inopportune moments.
  • K-Off
    (Tuesday, Jun 28. 2016 04:57 AM)
    and they couldn’t physically wean off it without the inevitable torture. They just went through lots of isolation, sleep, and weed (which happened to work for them personally but isn’t the case for everyone) so it’s hard to say without coming off as authoritative.
  • K-Off
    (Tuesday, Jun 28. 2016 04:52 AM)
    Now weaning off meth is different for everybody, and without personally knowing your friend I’d be hesitant to make any flippant recommendations like “take this, do this,” etc. But if it helps my close group of friends often dealt with it as well,
  • K-Off
    (Tuesday, Jun 28. 2016 04:49 AM)
    @Bam It’s one of those strongest games I’ve played this year, and I also played the hell out of the original. But I can’t speak for the console port so you’ll have to read up on that at least. Otherwise I recommend you buy it, it’s worth the price.
  • Bam
    (Tuesday, Jun 28. 2016 04:38 AM)
    Also I’m helpin this girl get off meth. Do you know of any medication that alleviates the withdrawal symptoms? Somewhat like how Methadone and Suboxone help Opiate users.
  • Bam
    (Tuesday, Jun 28. 2016 04:35 AM)
    @K-off: would you say Odin Sphere Leifthrasir is worth a full-price purchase for someone who already played the original? I’m thinking of getting it on the PS4. The remaster looks stunning on the big screen.
  • K-Off
    (Tuesday, Jun 28. 2016 04:27 AM)
    @Bam For those shows that don’t need more than a few sentences and are legitimately blase (as opposed to assumed beforehand), if I don’t have anything meaningful to say about a show, I feel it’s a waste of everyone’s time writing about it.

1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · »

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World – 13

When I heard about this arc being hard to watch I readied myself for a number of things. I was prepared to see Subaru die gruesomely, to see him tortured and broken. However while I was ready to see him get destroyed by others; I didn’t expect him to be the architect of his own […]

Kiznaiver - 12 1

Kiznaiver Review – 60/100

Kiznaiver is a very different faire from Studio Triggers other works in that it takes a more serious tone and has a writer who tends to go more for the melodramatic. This is a tale about a group of very different people gathered together and have their pain linked to one another. In an effort […]

Kiznaiver - 12 2

Kiznaiver -12

This was certainly pure narrative confusion at it’s zenith and in that regard I don’t mean that the events depicted were hard to understand but rather a general confusion on what mood it wants to go out on. In this episode we had comedic, drama and climatic showdown all hastily weaved together to try and […]

Bungou Stray Dogs 12c

Bungou Stray Dogs – 12 (end)

And we get to the end of Bungou Stray Dogs, but this last episode doesn’t offer any conclusive ending, instead feel more like a set up episode for the next season. This last episode functions like a typically Bungou Stray Dogs’ episode; there are many good things to say about it, mainly the technical triumphs […]

Joker Game - 12 2

Joker Game Review – 50/100

When experiencing the wave of new anime each season it can get rather tiresome to notice all the teenagers fighting supernatural forces while gathering a harem through seer luck or similarly tired concepts. So when something like Joker game comes along and takes a road less traveled with it’s story, naturally I am well on […]

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress – 10

After the Horobi’s laser light show and having Biba-sama completely dominate the narrative with his super cool looking henchmen, Koutetsujou no Kabaneri is back on track although it’s on different rails for here on out. Imprisoned by the Hunters and being caught in the middle of the impending final conflict between the Shogun and Biba, […]

mayoiga 07b

Mayoiga Review – 78/100

Mayoiga has to be one of the most misunderstood shows in recent years. On a surface, the premise alone has a lot of potential. The idea behind putting 30 people, each of them has very different set of personalities, together in a bus to a mysterious lost village, in order to start over new life […]

Joker Game - 12 2

Joker Game – 12

Upon finishing yet another rather uneventful episode of Joker Game, I began to wonder just what this series had planned for its finale. “How best to top off a rather mediocre series such as this?” I thought to myself. However when looking over general consensus over the episode I found out that I seen the […]

Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 12 4

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World – 12

This looks to be the weakest episode of Re:Zero to date which does seem to be a trend when it comes to the arcs of the series. When looking over these twelve episodes I have come to find that the weakest episodes of the series are the first episode of an arc which does make […]

Kiznaiver - 12 1

Kiznaiver Review – 60/100

Joker Game - 12 2

Joker Game Review – 50/100

mayoiga 07b

Mayoiga Review – 78/100

akTwkhF

Stella Glow Game Review-60/100

I really should be getting Grand Kingdom or waiting for Mirage Sessions. My review of Stella Glow is way past relevancy being nearly 8 months late, but I finally completed this and it wouldn’t hurt to briefly wrap up my thoughts about the game created by the now-defunct Imageepoch. I somehow managed to get through Lord of […]

rs33

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir Game Review – 87/100

Oh my. This game was just utterly, utterly incredible when it came out, so despite disliking the usual remasters (ahem, Valkyria Chronicles), I was pretty stoked when I learned I’d be able to play this again on better hardware. It came out really late into the PS2’s lifetime in 2007, so at the time, I […]

romance of 3 kingdoms

Chinese Animation Guide – Part 4: Chinese Traditional Animated shows

Welcome to the last part of our Chinese animated guide. This part will cover Chinese traditional art style, for me personally this is the most enjoyable group. The first thing you might notice in these shows are they were in different format ratio, lean more towards the Academy ratio format. I always find their traditional art […]

20160513001913_1

Lucid9: Inciting Incident Video Game Review – 85/100

It’s not often I pick a game up without prior knowledge. I abhor the act of pre-ordering and at least do a google search on the title to get a general idea of it’s overall quality. Gone are the day you walk into a game store and buy something purely on a whim or the […]

The Totem Warrior

Chinese Animation Guide – Part 3: Haoliners inputs

This part we explore one Chinese animation studio’s works. I choose Haoliners partly because they are independent studio, and their works are not hard to find. Just established in 2013, Haoliners is an indie studio but gathered more reputation in the last few years in their homeland. My experience with them through those titles below […]

Cover

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress OST Review

This will be the first time in my anime blogging career that I have ever done one of these anime OST review. It should be known that I have a complete bias for Hiroyuki Sawano as he has become one of the biggest composer for anime in recent years in some of my favorite anime […]