Posted by psgels on 30 March 2008 with categories: Porfy no Nagai Tabi

Oh my god. I knew what was going to happen! I freaking knew that Christopher and Aneke were about to die! And yet this episode was so gut-wrenchingly sad. Seriously, this episode was absolutely incredible, and Porfy no Nagai Tabi has without a doubt become the best series of the season, even though we’ve only finished the first quarter of this anime.

Anyway, onto the summary. The earthquake happens really quickly, and it’s over after just thirty seconds. Porfy was standing right next to the church when it happened, but thankfully it had been built well and didn’t collapse. The same can’t be said about the rest of the village, though. Porfy rushes to the village, while passing Corrina’s house, which has been completely destroyed. Any sign of life is Corrina’s doll.

Porfy then reaches the local inn, where the three guys that he saw in the last episode hae survived the ordeal, due to the fact that they were sitting outside, so they weren’t below an entire house that fell down. One of them says that it’s the first time since he witnessed an earthquake this big. Porfy says that when he was at the church, he could see smoke coming from the village, after which the three guys get even more worried about the possibility that fires occurred. The three say that they must hurry as fast as possible, and one of them tells Porfy that he’s better get to his own house as fast as possible.

Porfy runs away, and as he passes Zaimis’s house, he sees that that one too has been completely demolished. He then runs into one of the goats, and it seems to be doing fine. As he arrives at Patagos Grand Station, it’s been turned into a wreck, and even the gas pump is destroyed. One of the other goats was also unfortunate enough to be caught under the rubble, and perished.

The real tragedy, however, begins when Porfy arrives at his own house, as there’s nothing left standing. His wooden carved angel somehow made it outside, but there’s no sign of Christopher, Aneke or Mina. He tries his best to remove the rubble, and he does find Aneke’s scarf, though he remains a young boy. His energy soon disappears and he passes out. We just see Barnes arrive at the scene. The Americans have felt the earthquake as well, and he probably rushed over to Porfy’s as quickly as he could.

We then switch to a small camp that has been set up because of the earthquake, where the survivors and victims have been brought to. Porfy wakes up, and tries to think of what happened, and where he is, as he sees the people around him, all hurt in some way. Medics are carrying someone around who looks like Christopher, though it turns out to be somebody else. Porfy runs around a bit, trying to find someone among the bodies who he knows, as a nearby nun notices him.

She tries to comfort him, and asks whether he’s hurt or not. Porfy says that he isn’t hurt, and asks where they are. The nun answers that they’re at a wrecked church (probably a different one than before), where the wounded have been brought. The nun asks for Porfy’s name, and he answers how he’s Porfy, and how his father runs a car repair station in Simitra. He asks where his parents and Mina are, though the nun doesn’t know. She says that she will look into it for him.

The nun then gets called for something else, and then finally someone recognizes him. It’s one of the women from the village: Louisa. Porfy asks her what happened in the village, and she says that there’s been an earthquake, and lots of people died. Louise’s mother was one of the people who died, and she’s now all alone left with her son. She then brings the news that the village chief’s family has died as well, INCLUDING Corrina! Louisa asks whether Porfy has heard anything of his own family, though there’s still no news, and she hopes that they’re all safe. Her son then says how he’s hungry, so she leaves.

The nun then arrives, looking in a hurry. She then takes Porfy to another tent with injured, and there Mina lies. She’s been beaten up, her forehead is wrapped in bandages, though she’s fine. Porfy freaks out by the fact that she’s asleep, though the nun says that she’ll be fine. He then asks where his mother and father are, but before the nun can answer, Barnes appears. Porfy runs to him. Barnes asks whether Porfy and Mina are fine, and Porfy answers that both of them will be all right. Mina just needs to wake up. Though he still hasn’t heard anything about his parents.

Barnes then takes Porfy outside, where the dead bodies have been placed. He then asks him to come to the sea. Barnes says that even though all the terrible things have happened here, the ocean still remains the same. Porfy then says he’d rather return and stay by Mina’s side, and search for his parents. Barnes tells him to wait, and that he was the one who brought Christopher and Aneke to the camp. He tells Porfy to listen carefully: Christopher and Aneke couldn’t be saved. Porfy first can’t believe it. Barnes says that it’s tough, but the truth. When he arrived in Simitra, he rushed over to Porfy’s house, and found him unconscious. Mina was also found quite quickly, though the same can’t be said for Chirstopher and Aneke.

Porfy still has trouble to believe it, and says how Christopher said that he’d protect his family, and he’s probably still searching for him. Barnes, however, says that it’s true, even though it’s painful. He then hands Porfy Aneke’s watch, and says it’s okay to cry. From now on, Porfy and Mina are going to have to live together, and Porfy will be the only one who can protect Mina, that’s why it’s okay to cry now. Instead, Porfy goes back to Mina, in case she wakes up when he’s gone.

When Porfy gets back to Mina, the nun is also with her. She then wakes up, and asks what happened, and where she is. Porfy immediately embraces her, thankful that at least she’s alright. Mina still hurts, though, so he quickly lets go. The nun introduces herself as Helena, and she and Porfy explain where she is. Mina then remembers the earthquake that happened, and how the house was collapsing. Christopher said to run, though Mina couldn’t move her legs. She then asks where Christopher and Aneke are, so Porfy quickly changes the subject by asking whether she’s hungry. She isn’t, she just wants to see her father and mother again.

Porfy, however, is just too scared to bring her the bad news, so Mina goes out to search on her own. Helena tries to stop her and tells her to rest, though Mina says she’s fine. As she tries to look around the bondaged people that are sleeping, calling out for her parents, Porfy stops her, saying how she shouldn’t wake up everyone. She then retorts that she’s doing this because Porfy doesn’t want to say anything. Porfy then finally says that Aneke and Chistopher aren’t there, so Mina asks where they went. Porfy then shows her Aneke’s broken watch, and tells her to hold onto it. Mina then gets even more upset, saying that it’s a precious possession of her mother. It’s too early for her to get it. Porfy can’t think of a good excuse, so he just tells her to hold on to it.

Mina then gets scared of her brother’s strange behaviour, and calls out to her mother again. Porfy then finally yells that their father and mother have died. Helena then comes between them, and brings Mina back to her bed, after which she falls asleep. A bit later, Helena tells him that the dinner has been prepared, though Porfy doesn’t want any. She then asks whether he has any relatives, though Porfy hasn’t. His family just consisted out of his parents and Mina. Helena then says that God will protect him, which may not have been the right word to say to him at that moment, since that “God” just killed off his parents.

That evening, Porfy still can’t sleep, so he heads outside. He then sees Damon again, who only seems to have hurt his hand. Damon is also glad that Porfy is okay, and says that God must have been watching over him. Pofty yells that he doesn’t need God. If there was a god, then why did Christopher and Aneke have to die? They didn’t do anything wrong. He then returns the picture of christ, saying he doesn’t need it anymore.

Porfy and Damon then say a few things I couldn’t understand, though Damon closes with the message that as long as he remains alive, something good will happen to Porfy, and he hands back the picture of Christ. We then switch to the next day, when Porfy wakes up, to find Mina gone. She’s outside, looking at Zaimis. His mother isn’t doing well, though because of different reasons than the earthquake: she’s about to give birth to her baby! Helena tells Porfy not to worry.

However, Zaimis did lose his father. He’s also grieved to hear that Christopher and Aneke are gone too, and prays to god for his mother and her baby, which really make Porfy think about the things he said that evening. A while later, Zaimis is all worried, though then the cries of a baby appear. Helena then arrives, with the message that the girl is healthy. And so the episode ends with at least one joyful moment after the tragedy.

On a side-note: from now on, I’m going to shorten my summaries. They’ll still be detailed, but I feel that I won’t be able to keep up with such an extensive one as I’m doing right now. There was another time where I also wrote very detailed summaries for the shows I watched (just check back on some of the older Higurashi, Simoun or Ergo Proxy-entries), but I just couldn’t keep it up to write so much.

But really, this episode was awesome, and the exact reason why I’ve come to love the World Masterpiece Theatre. They may be slow at times, but they never waste their slow moments, and use them to flesh out their characters. Because of this, when the drama appears, you can be sure that the characters are all dynamic.

1. Windspirit says:

Why the FUCK are there no subs for this one ?

I guess people prefer shows in which there’s always something happening on screen, be it meaningless explosions or forced plot twist based entirely on coincidence (Code Geass, I fucking hate you).

2. DmonHiro says:

Why no subs? Two reasons, it’s either:
    a)The members of different fansub groups hate show, and therefore will not work on it.

b)Even if a group does not hate it, and would be willing to work on it, the little-over-100-downloads that it would generate is not worth the effort.

And the reason I hate fans of shows like this is not because of the show itself. I don’t like it, so I won’t watch it, no skin off MY back if it gets subbed. I hate them because they consider that all other fans are morons for not liking this (really boring) show. You bash popular shows every time you get and glorify this (really boring) show while you are at it. As long as you have that attitude, I’ll accually ENJOY seeing that this show has no subs.

3. TranceKuja says:

I agree with Windspirit. This show really needs some subs, FAST.

Doesn’t necceserily mean that I hate all other ‘popular’ shows, ‘cept it’s just not fair that they dó get subbed and stuff like this, well, doesn’t :P

And yes, Code Geass was really, really awful. Popular or not.

4. psgels psgels says:

TranceKuja hit the nail indeed. In my opinion, every show should deserve to get an equal chance of being subbed, but there’s always a selection that gets neglected. You may call these series “boring”, but there are enough people who’d love to see these series subbed.

5. DmonHiro says:

Yes, you are correct. Every show deserves to be subbed, regardless if people like me find it boring. It really doesn’t matter if I find it boring. Maybe I’m just not the target of this show. Even if 10 groups decide to drop everything and sub this, I won’t be upset.

The only people I’m upset at are the fans of non-subbed shows like this who keep claiming that this show is 10 times better then what’s beeing subbed and that people are idiots for not watching/subbing it.

6. Kurisu says:

“I guess people prefer shows in which there’s always something happening on screen”

Yeah right, that’s why .hack//sign was so popular.

Have you ever considered that it’s not “the people” who decide what gets subbed but the subbers? I can only watch what’s subbed, I have no influence on what is being subbed. It all depends on translators. Karaoke is redundant, encoding is something everyone can do, same goes for timing and seeding. There are simply not that many people with skill, time or desire to translate. Don’t assume that everyone who is fluent in English and Japanese is actually eager to translate anime for you or interested in anime at all. Not to mention that they don’t owe you shit in the first place. So only a certain amount of series can be subbed at a time. That’s all.

7. Shippoyasha says:

Er… I disagree that Code Geass is bad. It’s just a different type of show and it’s definitely more of a pop-entertainment with a heavy Taniguchi Goro twist.

I do think Porfy should be subbed though. Including Gunslinger Girl 2.

Also, the download rate isn’t a problem really. Because the last time I checked, Gunslinger Girl 2 constantly reeled in close to 10,000 downloads. Porfy wouldn’t have a problem attracting at least around 1000 per ep.

8. DmonHiro says:

But 1000 downloads per episode is a too small number to worth the work. Fansubbers do the work for recongnision. The more people download their stuff, the happier they are. 1000 doanload per episode is WAY too little. Hayate no gotoku gets 20000+, Clannad gets 30000 and shakugan no shana 2 gets 50000+ PER EPISODE, and that’s ONLY from ONE sub-group. Feel free to double the numbers.

1000? 2000? 3000 downloads per episode? Peanuts.

9. Kurisu says:

DmonHiro, do yourself a favour and STFU.

10. DmonHiro says:

How would that be a favor for me? Also….I’m not really into wrestling….I just like to watch it. And John Cena would not be happy if I copied hid submission move.

Oh, and those statistics are real. Got them off eclipses’ torrent page.

11. psgels psgels says:

Kurisu: try to be a bit civil, okay? It’s not like I agree with DmonHiro, but that’s no reason to start flaming him.

In any case, not all fansubbers are after a download-count. A good recent example would be Digital Panic, who managed to churn out the entire series of Kaze no Shoujo Emily, even though that too has been a hardly watched series.

12. DmonHiro says:

I think I have mentioned this, but I am not stating my opinion of this show. It does not matter to me if it gets subbed, dubbed, whatever. I am just stating facts, the way I see them. If a journalists reports that Mc.Donnalds is selling 10 times more then KFC, does that mean the he hates KFC? All I did was say why I think this show will not be getting subs anytime soon. I may be right, I may be wrong.

13. kirsten says:

GREAT episode!!! I loved this one! We can see that death can’t be foreseen, it just happens. One is there, one has gone. It was at the same time awfully sad and particularly well-developped.

14. Yamatoking says:

Oh my god I had tears in my eyes while I was reading your summary.
    The good old “World Masterpiece Theatre-Kickass-Feeling” is finally back.

Shoutbox

Name:
Email:
For:
Mail will not be published
  • Emma
    (Wednesday, Jan 28. 2015 03:17 PM)
    Things psgels was made to cover, oh good lord find me the head of the true sadist who made him blog persona 4.
    I believe Age has missed tthe Grisaia post where Aidan said he would not be following the show.
  • AidanAK47
    (Wednesday, Jan 28. 2015 01:50 PM)
    Lets just toss the flowerly tongue and get to the nitty gritty here.
    You don’t like me or any of the other writers and you would prefer to have a static blog instead of it being updated by people who are not psgels. Great, opinion noted.
  • AidanAK47
    (Wednesday, Jan 28. 2015 01:45 PM)
    “Thus, people are checking for updates less.”
    ….based on? Cause from what I hear from ninja the blog is still getting the page views it did during psgels days. Also on Mantinance fees, Ninja did say he would pay for them but it seems psgels refused.
  • AidanAK47
    (Wednesday, Jan 28. 2015 01:40 PM)
    @agej, I honestly can’t tell if you are being sincere or just taking the piss.
    “Psgels dropped shows he doesn’t like because he doesn’t just write for the sake of filling space on the feed.”
    Again why are we asuming here? I have dropped a show I didn’t like. If I didn’t like these shows I wouldn’t be writing about them. Also note that psgels did take a request to blog something and you could always tell that he was never into the show.
  • Emma
    (Wednesday, Jan 28. 2015 06:29 AM)
    Eh, k-off if your around, theres a documentary film out there about The shinbet Israeli intelligence network recruiting the son of a Hamas leader which made for an interesting, engaging enough watch, it was called The green prince.
  • Bam
    (Wednesday, Jan 28. 2015 05:54 AM)
    @Emma: I actually haven’t watched Never Let Me Go, but if I enjoy Ex Machina then I might give it a go.
  • Bam
    (Wednesday, Jan 28. 2015 05:51 AM)
    Not entirely true. Peter used to post quite frequently before his hiatus over a year and a half ago, a quick look at the archives proves the extent of this. His initiative to utilize similar minded authors from his blog both proves his approval of them as well as the plan to post very rarely from then on.
  • Emma
    (Wednesday, Jan 28. 2015 05:47 AM)
    @Bam: Sunshine let me down with its ending but the rest of the film was strong enough to forgive that somewhat.
    I quite liked his never let me go film, then again I am very much draw to these bleak, dystopian things.
  • agej
    (Wednesday, Jan 28. 2015 05:47 AM)
    And all the while, Psgels is paying maintenance fees for the site… That’s all. Sorry for sounding harsh earlier. I didn’t come across clearly enough since I was pooping.
  • agej
    (Wednesday, Jan 28. 2015 05:46 AM)
    The blog’s audience stayed for Psgels’ random recurrences and input from foreign bloggers is disenchanting many of these readers because it decreases the perception that Psgels will come back. Thus, people are checking for updates less.

1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · »

Death Parade – 03

Well this isn’t quite what I expected. This episode was a much more lighthearted fare with it being about love. It was better than the last episode but still not to the level I expected from this series. The game this time barely factored into the story at all. The twist on it was that […]

Durarara!!X2 – 2

If this episode had a focus then the stars would be Celty and the Orihara sisters. Though there were other events such as Anri and Mikado going to karaoke with Erika and Walker but it wasn’t really all the important and seemed to be there to foreshadow a new character and set up what looks […]

Death Parade – 02

Well this isn’t the best start. I must admit to being disappointed in this weeks Death Parade. Mainly because it was essentially a recap of the first episode. This episode was from the perspective of two characters who were watching the events of the first episode. With a white haired ponytail girl introducing another to […]

Some Really Quick First Impressions: The Leftovers

Sorry for leaving these out but they are not really worthy of a full impression. So I am just tossing down my two cents here. Seiken Tsukai no World Break – Hoo boy…maybe I spoke too soon about Juuou Mujin no Fafnir being worse than Absolute Duo. Because beside this trash heap it’s at least […]

Some Quick First Impressions: The Rolling Girls, Yoru no Yatterman and Sengoku Musou

The Rolling Girls Short Synopsis: What did I just watch? I am just going to break it to you. I have no idea what to think of this show. This is a work by the same studio who animated Attack on titan. It is an anime original show (meaning it is not based on anything) […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Durarara!!X2, Soukyuu no Fafner Dead Aggressor – Exodus and Aldnoah Zero Season 2

Durarara!!X2 Short Synopsis: People are strange, when you’re a stranger. It felt like a lot happened, but nothing really changed. That is the first season of Durarara summarized perfectly. The show itself even seems to revel in this. That said the main enjoyment of Durarara is seeing the cast of wacky characters interact with each […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Kantai Collection, The iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls and Tokyo Ghoul √A

Kantai Collection Short Synopsis: Our protagonist sucks at playing battleship This is an anime based on the popular browser game of the same name. I haven’t played it but from what I hear it has ship daughters and some form of strategy. So I went into this blind, not knowing what I would get. That […]

Some Quick First Impressions: JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure S3, Death Parade and Assassination Classroom

JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure – Stardust Crusaders Egypt Arc Short Synopsis: Our protagonist is going to Egypt to kill a vampire Jojo’s first season was a breath of fresh air with it’s ridiculous entertainment value. However with the second season I found that a lot of it’s magic had been lost as the series took a […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Shinmai Maou no Testament, Tantei Kageki Milky Holmes and Junketsu no Maria

Shinmai Maou no Testament Short Synopsis: Our protagonist has just got two little sisters who are demons. Here’s a fun fact. Due to myself being in a position at one point where I couldn’t do much of anything besides read novels and happening to see this title pop up in front of me a few […]

Clipboard06

Nerawareta Gakuen Review – 84/100

Let me talk a bit about Ryousuke Nakamura. For a long time, this guy was my hero. He started off as an assistant director to Monster, in my opinion a big reason why that series got such a ridiculously solid adaptation, and then in 2008 he came with the groundbreaking Mouryou no Hako. No TV-series […]

Clipboard03

Kick Heart

Okay, so I didn’t want to exit 2013 without having seen Masaaki Yuasa’s Kick Heart. It’s only twelve minutes anyway, and I consider him to be one of the best anime directors out there. The story here is pretty silly and mostly serves as a backdrop, so I mostly want to talk about the nature […]

Clipboard01

Kyousogiga Review – 90/100

Everyone’s taste is different, and that’s a wonderful thing because that allows us to have so many different forms of media that all aim toward their own niche. My blog is obviously written from the perspective of my own taste, and even when a show doesn’t cater to it (which is nearly always), I love […]

Clipboard04

Ore no Nounai Sentakushi ga, Gakuen Lovecome o Zenryoku de Jama Shiteiru Review – 80/100

Noucome! You do not want to know how long I have been waiting for a series like this. More than half a decade, at the very least. Finally a series comes along and puts the incredibly overused harem genre in its place. And it actually does it well. Thank you! So to elaborate: the harem […]

Clipboard01

Pokemon: The Origin Review – 75/100

Normally I try to avoid spoilers with these reviews, but screw it, it’s Pokemon. Pokemon The Origin is a bomb of nostalgia. If you haven’t played Pokemon Red, Blue or Green, then you will not enjoy this one slight bit. This really is made as pure undilluted fanservice for the fans of the first games. […]

Clipboard08

Tamayura – More Aggressive Review – 75/100

I’m not going to dedicate a post for my impression for the final three episodes of this series. It was just too boring to write much about. I guess that that gives a pretty accurate indication of what I think about this series. Right at the start of Tamayura’s second season, I asked one question: […]

Clipboard04

Silver Spoon Review – 86/100

When Noitamina started airing two series per season, it was amazing. It’s a timeslot that on average tends to be aimed at a much older audience than usual, and having two series with the same mentality definitely helped to bring more diversity to anime overall. Unfortunately it’s a schedule that could not be kept up […]

Clipboard07

Yondemasuyo, Azazel-San Z Review – 82,5/100

Reviewing a comedy sequel usually is quite simple: in most cases it just drops the bomb and runs out of inspiration, and in rare cases it actually manages to stay hilarious. The tricky thing with these kinds of series is that you need to remain funny, and you need to have the inspiration for that. […]

Clipboard05

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet Review – 81/100

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet tells the storyline of a planet that is completely submerged, with only giant ships residing on the surface, while one of those ships gets visited by this guy and his AI-mecha from this very technologically advanced civilization. Yes, this show is about world building. What this show managed to do […]