Posted by psgels on 31 July 2008 with categories: Monthly Summaries

The summer-season has always been the season of short and varied series, and in 2008, it’s no different. There’s a wide variety of genres in this relatively small season, only horror seems to be missing at first glance. So far, there are a number of potential classics lurking among them.

#30 (new) – Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu – (4/10) – Sorry, but I have no intention to continue watching this stereotype-filled rubbish.
#29 (new) – Koihime Musou – (6/10) – Nice, but this series is way too silly for me, considering its setting. Dropped.
#28 (new) – World Destruction – (6/10) – I gave this series a chance and watched four episodes. My reward was a bunch of lame uninteresting stories about a bunch of lame uninteresting characters. Heck, I doubt that the world is going to get destroyed at the end of the series anyway. Production IG, you disappoint me. Dropped.
#27 (new) – Yakushiji Ryouko no Kaiki Jikenbo – (6/10) – I’ve mentioned this before: the “I have no life so I’ll just reveal my evil plans to every random person who happens to drop by”-villains were a major letdown for me. This series is too much Yakushiji Ryouko and too little Kaiki Jikenbo. Dropped.
#26 (25) – Allison to Lillia – (6,5/10) – The only reason why I kept going with this series is to check whether the Lillia-part of the story would be worthwhile, but now that that time finally arrived, it’s still filled with predictable storylines, way too obvious foreshadowing and I’ve got no inclination to care about the cast. Wake me up if the final episodes do turn out good, but for now I don’t want to waste my time with this thing anymore. Dropped.
#25 (new) – Sekirei – (7,25/10) – Sekirei is overplaying coincidences too much: the main character accidentally gets knocked over by a Sekirei, they then go and fly and crash into a house with more Sekirei, he goes to work, only to find more Sekirei. What, is the entire city populated by Sekirei or something? In any case, I have to admit, though: it’s nothing special, but the characters are enjoyable to watch for now. Let’s hope that they’re actually going to develop.
#24 (new) – Slayers Revolution – (7,5/10) – After watching four episodes, it’s not like I’m eager to watch the rest of the Slayers-franchise. In fact, Gintama is currently doing everything this series has done so far, and 10 times better.
#23 (21) – Code Geass – Lelouch of the Rebellion – (7,5/10) – Code Geass’s strange overblown combination between brainless action and soap-opera antics continues. It’s enjoyable enough, although I do have to say that I’m really glad that Karen has been captured. It’s been really refreshing to watch all this airtime without her.
#22 (20) – Itazura na Kiss – (7,5/10) – The wedding came in way too fast, but episode sixteen was surprisingly enjoyable when compared to its previous episodes. Please keep this up for the rest of the series!
#21 (19) – Soul Eater – (7,5/10) – Ugh, it’s getting harder and harder for me to gather enthusiasm for this series. Come on, this is Bones! Make something interesting happen!
#20 (new) – Antique Bakery – (7,75/10) – Good to see that there’s finally a series about gay people that isn’t yaoi or yuri, and instead chooses to deal with the topic of how gays feel awkward in today’s society. Shirogumi (who also did Moyashimon) and Nippon Animation form an excellent combination for the Noitamina timeslot, and the cheese is hilarious as well.
#19 (new) – Birdy the Mighty Decode – (7,75/10) – I may have expected a bit too much from this series, considering the director and all. It’s interesting, but nothing amazing yet. I’ll withhold my judgment for now, though.
#18 (new) – Strike Witches – (7,75/10) – I’m not sure what’s going on here: the premise is obviously strange with the pants-less females, and yet it’s a strangely charming series that attempts to unify the European and Japanese cultures.
#17 (new) – Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto ~ Natsu no Sora – (8/10) – I’ve no idea where that fourth episode went, but nevertheless it’s a calming slice-of-life series with a number of very strange plot-twists. (Crashing truck, anyone?)
#16 (11) – Chi’s Sweet Home – (8,25/10) – I’m not sure why I switched to the subs for this series (probably because it was easier to keep up with the huge amounts of episodes), but now that these have stalled, it’s getting a bit lonely without Chi, which is a shame because the subs stopped right at the point where this show became hilarious again.
#15 (6) – Porfy no Nagai Tabi – (8,25/10) – The past month of Porfy no Nagai Tabi has been kind-of weak. The Sicily-arc just didn’t live up to the rest of the series.
#14 (14) – Wagaya no Oinarisama – (8,25/10) – Wagaya no Oinarisama continues its tradition of “it’s not supposed to be good, and yet it is”. There’s nothing much else to say, really.
#13 (new) – Mission-E – (8,25/10) – Doesn’t try to be the best, but nevertheless it’s a very enjoyable and fun series that doesn’t deserve the negligence it’s getting right now.
#12 (new) – Ultraviolet: Code 044 – (8,25/10) – The movie may have sucked beyond belief, but the anime manages to fix its mistake by putting a good emphasis on characterizations. The atmosphere is dark, and the fact that there haven’t been any fillers yet whatsoever is also a large plus.
#11 (12) – Blassreiter – (8,5/10) – Well, it seems that the creators had no intention to be less dramatic for the second half, but make no mistake: the action is getting quite good right now, with the characters developing and all. All the prejudices of this show being typical Gonzo-crap are unfounded, and Blassreiter has unfolded into an engaging series now that the teenaged emo is gone.

#10 (15) – Gintama – (8,5/10)

Gintama has been particularly funny this month, and especially episode 67 cracked me up, with its rather wrong parody of the “romantic interest walking in on an embarrassing situation”-trope that you usually find in harem series.

#9 (16) – Macross Frontier – (8,5/10)

Okay, it’s been a long wait, but the plot is finally catching up speed for the finale of Macross Frontier. Characters are starting to get developed, good, good.

#8 (new) – Bonen no Xamdou – (8,5/10)

Shows the beginnings of a classic. It’s done everything right so far: detailed animation, and storytelling, an addictive pacing, an interesting world. I’m very curious to see where the creators plan to go with this series.

#7 (new) – Blade of the Immortal – (8,5/10)

Yes, I’m biased, but I don’t care! This series rocks! The soundtrack is excellent in my opinion, and the first two episodes showed the typical style of Beetrain-storytelling.

#6 (17) – Telepathy Shoujo Ran – (8,5/10)

You know, the more I watch this series, the more I like its adorable cast of characters. Sure, it may have its flaws, but Midori makes up for all of them.

#5 (new) – Natsume Yuujin-Chou – (8,75/10)

A really peaceful summer-like atmosphere and engaging stories to keep the viewer busy. My favourite of the summer season so far.

#4 (2) – Himitsu ~ The Revelation – (8,75/10)

The past few episodes of Himitsu have been either excellent or missed the mark. The series may have its lesser stories, but the good ones really make up for it.

#3 (10) – Nijuu Mensou no Musume – (9,25/10)

July has been a sensational month for Nijuu Mensou no Musume, with just about everything in this series hitting new heights. Whether this series can keep up the same quality for the rest of the episodes remains to wonder, but I’d love to find out.

#2 (8) – RD Sennou Chousashitsu – (9,25/10)

I’m trying to find a good way to describe the past few episodes of RD, but I can’t. Instead, I’ll just vaguely summarize it with one word: unique.

#1 (1) – Kaiba – (9,5/10)

My three favourite 12 or 13-episode series are without a doubt Haibane Renmei, Hi no Tori and Kaiba. I’m not quite sure in what order they go, but one thing is clear: Kaiba has been an amazing ride, from start to finish.

1. Ez says:

Kaiba’s been amazing but the subs and episodes are so far apart. Everything else is good though. =)

2. Denizen says:

Kaiba really has been good. Can’t wait to finish it.

3. Solaris says:

Wow you’re EBIL!! five series were killed mercilessly!!

Yet i didn’t understand how you managed to keep on with Allison to Lilia so far. I dropped this 2 months ago.

And Slayers… sorry to bother, but it’s Gintama who’s the newcomer. It’s as funny as you wish, but its baseline isn’t original. “Slayers” and “Kyou Kara Ore Wa” invented that kind of format ten years ago and others such as Gintama copied it. You can’t tell me that imitation is better than the originals

4. essesus says:

Actually, some imitations ARE better then originals, because they also improve on the orginal. Of course, that is always not the case, but you can’t say that all immitations are crap

5. Kurisu says:

Itazura na Kiss 16 was enjoyable? Are you a sadist or something?

Blassreiter may have received more bashing than it deserves but the CG doesn’t blend at all with the rest of the animation. This bashing might be to its advantage. If you except utter crap, even a mediocre anime can still shine. A plot driven by sentai and monsters (and their CG addiction) is exactly what made “I Wish You Were Here” suck, GONZO’s first(?) big fail. If you can ignore the crappy CG, exaggerated drama, the over-the-top action, then yes it’s not bad at all, but I seriously doubt this show can redeem GONZO, if you’re already tired of them.

6. karry says:

So, you one of those who enjoy the incredibly shitty Gintama instead of epitomy of fantasy adventure that is Slayers ? Figures.

On top of that you like cacofony that is BoI score.

And on top of THAT you like them faggots ? Ew.

7. Solaris says:

>Actually, some imitations ARE better then originals, because they also improve on the orginal.
    That’s not always the case. It’s actually more an exception to the rule.
    I’d rather be happy if this new Slayers could at least match the old glory.

>Of course, that is always not the case, but you can’t say that all immitations are crap
    What is born not original is bound to be compared to its source, and usually it must be much more better, or it will fail.
    So said, imitations ARE crap, if not proved different.

Are we sure Gintama can really beat Slayers + Kyou Kara Ore Wa? I really doubt it
    I’ve seen some episodes of Gintama and the said other series. Gintama is nice and all, but saying it is much more better than Slayers because it does the same but better is questionable. Psgels didn’t know Slayers, so he compared it with something known that is Gintama. It’s just a wrong comparison, and the criterion should be reversed in this situation.

8. Lika says:

>And on top of THAT you like them faggots ? Ew.

Yeah, like you’ve never jacked off to lesbians before.

9. Archer says:

i find Gintama very enjoyable to watch,i don’t watch it as they release the subbed episodes but more when i feel like watching something funny so right now it is on hold but i will probably watch some episode of it again soon and then on hold and so on it is not a anime that i follow regularly :D

about Blade of the Immortal i think the expectations were to high and a perfect(or at least a better) anime of this manga would have been quite hard to get,BoI is a great manga but i am not sure any studio could make it into a great anime especially a studio that does not have enough experience when it comes to manga adaptations,i really think Madhouse is the best when it comes to turning a manga into an anime but that is just me :)

10. Omisyth says:

You insult the name of Kallen Stadtfeld?! And World Destruction is a show I watch only to make fun of.

11. T_I says:

Actually, I agree with the blogger

Code Geass has been so much better since Karen was captured.

It’s possible that she has been holding back development all this time.

12. roastedpekingduck says:

psgels, Bones can’t really “make something happen” with Soul Eater by their own decision because almost a frame-for-frame adaptation of the manga.

By the way, I’m one of those who’s lost interest in Soul Eater for now, so at least for the time being, I’m going to steer clear of the anime (and the manga, when it comes out in the States). It has its fun moments, and the production values are absolutely wicked, but it’s a bit too standard for my liking.

13. mulligan says:

mahou tsukai natsu no sora ep 4 was cancelled because of an earthquake incident. I think it just aired a day or so ago.

wishing for subs to come faster for kaiba >.

14. noodles says:

hey there – thanks for this great “best of summer” hit list. i haven’t been keeping up with what’s new out there for years, but your blog has given me a great place to start. your well-worded summaries are much appreciated!

15. rosy says:

I tried to watch shows like Gintama, Lucky Star and Haruhi but I really don’t get it. What’s so funny about them? I’m mean I get the jokes but they’re not really “haha” funny. Just sorta cynical, let’s-see-how-many-otaku-jokes-we-can squeeze-into-every-episode!!!11one!!!1! I can appreciate a good parody, but these I just don’t get. Also I don’t really understand how fanservice shows are supposed to be funny. If you’ve seen one you’ve seen them all, right? Or maybe it’s just too hard for a girl to appreciate endless boob and panty shots. I don’t know. ^_^;

16. psgels psgels says:

Rosy: I agree with that Lucky Star isn’t funny. I never understood what’s so great about it. And Haruhi is good, but not for its comedy. That series is more about its complex dialogue and detailed animation. And I wonder, how much of Gintama have you seen? There are indeed a good number of episodes that are about otaku-jokes, but some of the best moments aren’t otaku-related at all.

And I said how can you decide you don't like something if you haven't read it?
Of course you are likely mean that if you don't like something then give up on reading it further which of course does not mean that someone cannot complain about it regardless.
Anonymous1198985
No, Im said if you dont like nisekoi dont read it
@Anon, How do you know you don't like it if you don't read it?
Anonymous1196967
Don't like it don't read it.
I went and read Double Arts. This really was a great manga with tons of potentail and truly didn't deserve the axe. It's so depressing that this was cut off so soon and the author went on to make the most generic Harem ever Nisekoi, and that got over 200 chapters.
All of the important dance scenes for Yuri were fantastic, its just some minor one off characters and some reused ones that were an issue, so no they are better than the CGI
Anonymous1190387
Is it worse than those CGI dance scenes in some anime?
@Puran, It is pretty surprising how well that story turns out. I say IG might do the job even if there animation isn't the most consistent. The one thing I am worried about is those necks though. In the PV those things were ridiculously long.
Puran
Fair enough, recycling the animation was bad, agreed. But the animation itself was really good.
See, I found the repeated dances in Yuri one of the worse parts. Alot of it was recycled animation and certain characters were obviously rushed/not done. Some were amazing, cause they took their time, but others looked terrible.
Puran
I kinda wish Mappa was doing the anime though. Yuri on Ice had really nicely animated dances (and was more or less the only actually good quality of that show :P )
Puran
Reading the Ballroom e Youkoso manga has made me really excited about the Anime.
Kaiser_Eoghan
@Aidan: I'm particularly turned off by bully/bullying cliches these days. I've only read the first two volumes to see how awful she was but I ended up simply losing track of the series and stopped reading.
Kaiser_Eoghan
@Mario: Actually that has changed, I had to pick a different day to see it given changes in schedule, I've booked it for NEXT Wednesday now. I've watched Akira about four times.
Oh, Rising of the Shield Hero is getting an anime adaption. Hmmm...honestly after finishing the series and looking over it as a whole I am not sure I even want that. Plus seeing Bitch Animated...would fill me with rage.
I intend to re-watch Akira soon, probably this weekend. It has been almost 10 years since my first watch and now I don't remember much about that one. Thought it was intriguing and complex but not as acclaimed as people hyped it to be (I'll pick Ghost in the Shell anytime). Wonder how I'd feel now after re-watching it.
@Kaiser: I remember you mentioned that you were going to watch In this Corner of the World today right? How was the movie Kaiser?
Oh cool, food wars is getting a 3rd season
Ballroom youkoso appears to be leading the polls.
@Mario: Fumiko is a female mangaka yes. Also I found bokura no hentai worth reading.
yep, I finished that manga too and I have conflicted feeling about it. Yuri(!) part and fanservice are to blatant but they have a purpose. This mangaka (not sure but I think she's a girl) has some unique voice.
....well I skimmed that manga. And it was weird
By all appearances,Sakura is normal,albeit sheltered junior high school girl who enjoy talking about love and walking home from school together.However,they also happen to inhabit a strange and supernatural world populated by mysterious,gigantic beings and unusual plant and animal life.Amid their peaceful lives,Sakura becomes very interested in something only alluded to exist in old books: dicks
Here's a synopsis of other manga from the same author, I think you'll have a better idea of his theme -
Sakura no Sono
Pretty much what Masky said. I am not really praising it. Anyway I plan to read one or two more chapters to see where it's going. But if it's going in the direction I think it's going then I am dropping this one fast.
Kaiser_Eoghan
There is of course the underlying concern that it will go a very ugly route with that development or it could become edgy/horribly minipulative, but for now it is as mario said, a hook.
Well. overall I don't dislike what I read there. It has good hook and I'm intrigued to know more what the hell will happen. Good set-up for me. I'm in
@Masky: it's fine Masky, since I will chec itk out any way and see it for myself ^^
So since you guys started being interested, I checked it out and uh.. Yeah, not reading. I think ye guys misunderstood Aidans warnings since that was just fucked up and not in the interesting way.
@Aidan: Berserk will never again go more than 3-4 months without a hiatus.
Hmmm, that manga Cutie Mutie sounds good to me. I might check it out later today
@Aidan: But had you not alluded to that scene, I may have seen the cover of that manga and skipped over it.
@Aidan: I had a feeling, sort of, sad, I am intrigued to read more.
Hyping and warning are not the same thing.
Well with Aidan hyping up the horrors of cutie mutie I may as well glance at it to see what he' on about.
There are three manga with the name rec.
I am familiar with the artist for cutie mutie, she did that manga about the three kids dealing with gender/orientation issues.
Oh look Berserk is on Haitus again....
.....the sad thing is that it comes as expected now.
For reference the two I read were Cutie Mutie and Rec. Be warned, the first one goes to a rather uncomfortable level.
@Masky, Read two manga. One started lighthearted and then went to really dark territory. The other one looks like it's about a really dark subject but turned out to be something more lighthearted.
@Mario, Alright. Tested it now so it such be fixed. Try again.
@Aidan: Huh? What you read that turned dark/didn't turn dark? .-.
"too many answers selected for question 1! only 3 answers allowed!"
@Aidan: I still have the same issues. Weird
@Mario, Wasn't my intent. Try it now and you should be able to pick as many as you want.
@Aidan: I'm not allowed to vote more than 3 votes. Is it your intention Aidan?
Well that was weird. I read something that looked innocent but turned out to be really dark. Then something that looked really dark only to become innocent.
Yeah, nothing that interests me I see :D Like my strongest reaction to season preview was "Someone made isekai with smartphone? Really? REALLY? Thats best idea you had"
Ah Knighs and Magic, found that manga. It was boring enough for me to forget its name. Also besides being boring, I kinda find MC unlikeable since their only personality is that they like mechas and were a programmer before renicarnating as short bishie kid
Woo, time to vote stuff
@Kaiser: that movie In this Corner just getting more and more acclaimed huh? Thou I think it'a a type of movie that if you have high expectation for it you will likely be disappointed. It works best as a sleeper hit
As for cute monster girls, most of the time I don't find them cute at all. I know I'm being racist, but...
@Lenlo: I'm guilty with that cute girls genre, as i enjoyed K-On tremedously for example. Or If I have more time I'd follow Hinako Note this season ^^
They don't always adapt all that well or work as well outside of manga format, especially 4-komas.
*three
The only two of any interest were hidamari sketch, azumanga daioh and yuru yuri and that was largely down to being in the mood for them a few years ago.
@Mario: Personally, I have 0 interest in this Monster girls doing cute things subgenre, just like I have very little interest in the cute girls doing cute things major genre.
@Mario: As it turns out I DID read in this corner of the world. I'll also be seeing it next thursday.
@Kaiser: at this moment I'm very skeptical with the whole Monster girls doing cute girl subgenre, so I'm approachig Centaur with a caution. Of course, it all depends on how I feel after the first episode
@Kaiser: Happy End isn't as bleak aa his other works. But it's certainly Hanake's films, as it explores many of his favorite themes: the voyeurist of camera in his Benny's video, the detachment to the world and the underlying violence. Not his best thou but it's still very good
I think I'd be up for watching jigoku shojo, its been a long time since I watched the original two seasons and this one won't be as long, so it won't get as repetitive.
I voted centaur no nanami on the poll, think Mario could cover it.
@Mario: How did did you get on with Happy end? I heard its like a mix of his best works. Is it as dark and depressing?
I have vague memories of in the corner of the worlds manga, unless I'm mixing it up with something else.
Some news, Lu Over the Wall won the best prize at this year's Annecy (the 1st anime won the award since 1995's Pom Poko), with In the Corner of the World took the Jury Prize. Quite a good showing for anime this year.
@Anon, Hello.
Really, still no vote for Kakegurui?? I thought it would take the top poll for sure
That 18if, even the poster doesn't make much sense, but it looks dazzling ^^
go-go licensed products!
@Lenlo: and Madhouse is the studio behind that Marvel rip-off. Are they really going that low for profits?
Lookin forward to Kakeguri next season, but thats the only thing thats really caught my eye
Well, you have to watch Marvel next season right?
And done. I swear these previews take a lot out of me.
Almost done....almost done...
KT
Attack of Titan, ended ok. But man the production values had gone down.

Virgin Soul had a okish episde

Re:Creators continues to rock for me.
@Mario: I liked the 70s version ending, it was mean spirited =P
@Mario: The original used its one room location quite well and dim lighting in parts, very closed in/claustrophobic.
@Kaiser: just finished the Beguiled and it was much better than I expected. Like, I didn't expect it to be that well shot. The guy was put in a passive role than active here, which help the theme imo. Also, the ending admitedly isn't for everyone but I liked it just fine
@Kaiser: using a black girl? The girls in this one are all white :(
Sato in Re:Creators isn't doing himself any favors is he? Honestly the more I learn about him, the less likable he becomes.
It was a good film though, one of scarjos better moments.
@Mario: As for Sofia, I'm only familiar with lost in translation, which I haven't seen since it originally came out.
@Mario: Everyone goes on about Francis' for the Godfather, the conversation is massively underated and apocalypse now is better, but it has to be the theatrical cut.
@Mario: I guess it was probably seen as progressive in its day by way of using the black girl.
@Mario: Very very cynically 70s of course.
@Mario: Actually just happened to finish it there, I felt it stood out for its somewhat successful gothic feel and aesthetic and Eastwood's performance which shows how well he can command the audiences attention even when he isn't shooting people. Kind of liked how it got slightly grisly later on. It makes a small effort in giving one line backstories .
@Kaiser: the original movie isn't that well-received. It's more like an exotica film where the main guy (Clint Eastwood) hooks up girls of all ages. This one I heard has a good spin on feminist angle. I'm sure is intrigued but Sofia Coppola's filmography has been mixed for me
....I doubt any one has ever heard of this....I know I didn't, I haven't read it either but I came across some weird old Blacksploitation manga, probably from the 90s, Blast knuckle or something...
@Mario: Still remaking the beguiled might be good, we need more modern westerns.
@Mario: I suppose I can busy myself with the original 70s version of beguiled. At the moment I've been focusing on old Japanese films, they had such a good film industry, it makes it hurt so much more now knowing that all they do now is shit live action adaptations.
@Kaiser: gonna be a long day for me with the screenings of The Beguiled, Wind River, The Other Side of Hope and Happy End
Now I need to re-watch 08th ms team.
I watched 4 hours straight of Gundam the origin, hit me with a hard punch of nostalgia, actually seeing his backstory rather than hearing about it is a good thing, I enjoyed the action scenes, it was high-melodrama but well used and more Char is always a good thing.
I think I'll just put Kado on hold for now and see whats being said about future episodes of it, I'm too unsure of it being worth it or not at the moment.
I want to comment on a humble indie game called Sakuna of Rice and Ruin. Is a simple hack and slash similar to Muramasa and Dust: Elysian Trail. The game has a scarf mechanic that is very fun to use to evade attacks and throwing stuff. It kind of reminded me of those Mickey games from the Snes and the visuals reminded me of Pocky and Rocky. Its a game to play on a sunday, simple, fun and relaxing.
From the stuff I played Dragon Ball FigtherZ seems legit at capturing the speed of the battle and feel of the action.
Back from E3. Nintendo is still my main jam. The Rabbids game seems better than I think anyone could imagine. Odyssey seems like a good time. Xenoblade and Metroid 2 remake look like hype.
KT
On Gundam OG, the new Origin Manga, and the movies based on it are very good. Recommended.
I remember reading the first chapter of that manga, but it was a long time ago and the updates were slow.
A manga about Ballroom dancing? Yeah there's no way I am into this.
(Starts reading)
(Reads ten chapters)
Crap...I am into this.
Feel I need to re-visit gundam again through 08th MS team, unicorn and Origin as I'd enjoyed the 70s series, its sequel and chars counterattack. Seed turned me off the franchise for ridiculously long and 00s movie and second season wern't as good as the first .
Looks like I have another Yuasa work to look forward to, he's doing his own take off on Nagai's devilman , hopefully he can reign in Valvraves writer though.
*first manga in couple last weeks I've seen
Da fuq. Found manga called Kemono Jihen, but it somehow already has tv tropes page(I tend to check randomly whether works have tv tropes page to see how notable they are) O_o I mean this is first manga with 1-3 chapters that has that, so I guess author is really popular or something in some circles?
Huh. Guess they figured out rewriting a story for Re:Creators.
Ya know, even if i hadn't heard that Suka Suka is based on one of more tragic light novels, the death flags, all of the death flags :D
HelghastKillzone
I'm a patron of someone who is writing mass effect fanfiction at 2 million+ words. It combines games, writing and fan creativity. So there is that....
Ah, while I listened to some Lovecraft audiobooked, I felt as if I was copping out by listening instead of reading.
A horror manga often works well episodically in a short story format.
@Aidan: Had a flick through Shibito, of what I read I liked how ridiculously camp and gleefully, proudfully nutso it was combined with the silliness of the violence. While not my favourite chapter, the one about the actress stood out for me because she was clearly a reference to Setsuko Hara, one of Japans most famous actresses lol
I try out a number of things from time to time. Books, movies, music, comics and the like. But I always come back to anime.
I have dabbled in quite a few mediums myself. My recent experiment is audiobooks which I am currently using to get through Moby Dick. And Jesus H Christ is this book padded to hell and back. It may be well written but it is an awful story.
But what this film venture has shown me is that while I've gotten much out of it, it shows just how STRONGER the connection I have to anime/manga is.
@Mario: And definately, I don't get the "people focus on only one media thing". One of the reasons I started branching out was because I felt "Fuck, I'm in my 30s and I've neglected a whole medium by being too focused on cartoons"
The sign you're at something too long is when the suspense of waiting for the next part to come out isn't there or when you find yourself not picking up on whats going on!
Manga/visual novels/anime I've noticed especially now are much much easier to stay awake during when you're wrecked tired.
@Mario: And to be honest, I've gotten busier and more tired lately, getting home on a weekday later after a new job, I'm not alert enough to watch art films, just started leaving them till the weekend.
@Kaiser: I know exactly what you mean. That is one of the reason why I like to mix up what I watch: sometimes books, other time manga and even music to get me away from burning out from 1 medium
*eventually get back
The short of that is, I think a good scale back with ANY hobby is a good thing because it can feel special all over again when you get back on it more mainly.
But now that after three years of mainly focusing on films moreso than anime/manga as much, because I'm now incredibly burnt out from watching films 4 times a day, I feel now I can watch ANY anime or read any manga and get that fresh feeling/some of that old passion back.
Remember that feeling you got when you first really got into anime/manga and pretty much excitedly/panic watched EVERYTHING and almost everything felt great? I've been thinking how a few years back now, I sort of re-lived that feeling again...however for films.
(Finished watching SukaSuka 10)
Awwww...that was a sweet episode end....
.....
.....They are all gonna die.
@Aidan: Kids off school pressumably in Japan with more time to watch stuff and more shows.
God why is there so many anime during the summer season.
Of course there are the really obvious recommendations of Grand Blue and Kaguya wants to be confessed to.
I say the only other recommendations I got are Jagaaaaaan, Maou no Hisho, Ore wo Suki Nano wa Omae Dake ka yo and Yuuutsu-kun to Succubus-san. Though I still think Shibito no Koe o Kiku ga Yoi would be up your alley.
By all means keep posting random manga you've all come across, I will read them.
I thought route end did a good job on the protagonist's feelings regarding his mothers death.
Though my interest in Route is largely due to it was the most lurid of the selection.
I felt route end holds the most interest of that selection of recommendations, although before reading it I thought it would be an episodic manga, similar to a series called death sweeper.
@K-Off, well I think both the manga got handed down to the assistant, and the anime got handed down as well. The original author/director for both arnt working on Boruto
@Lenlo Probably, haven't checked. But the manga and anime are completely different so I don't know.
The Streisand effect in full force.
*Now the media...
No the media storms over it and eventually want to check out this film. It has gain more publicity after this shameless incident
oh god, really? Chinese government tried their best to force Annecy (Animation film Fest) to remove a Chinese animated film name Have A Nice Day from screening there because of its "sensitive content"
Still think Sawano needs to lay off the vocals. It can get really distracting in Re:Creators.
KT
oh my the RE:Creators OST is all I wanted.
Well, Boruto isnt being run by the original manga author is it? I thought he handed the series off after Naruto to his chief assistant.
The contrast between wanting to do something different yet using the same character traits is just too jarring.
Gave Boruto a shot, and while it isn't bad, it's so detached from the original series that it might as well have been unrelated. I appreciate that the plot is different, but the modern setting, and lack of any clear character motivations (for now) makes it such a chore to watch. If they were going for something different, why did they use the same character designs and archetypes?
Sorry guys for the delay of Eccentric Family post, just can't bring myself to finish the post. Not that many of you following the show but Yeah, I will plget it done later today. Also, hell yeah for Pluto. Urasawa is my God
@Aidan: I kinda imagine Isekai Shokudou would be like Time of Eve upon reading the synopsis. Like each week about some peculiar customers. Well, if they focus more on food, then... *heartbroken*
Two Metroid Game announcements and an anime of Pluto.
Today was a good day.
KT here:YES!

ID-0 – 11 [Innocent Orbit]

I must say, despite my current worry from the direction ID-0 is heading towards the climax, we have another solid episode in our hands. Here’s one of the thing ID-0 continues to prove itself to be quite adept of: their pacing never drags. All the events progress gradually, and there aren’t many unnecessary scenes, if […]

Sakura Quest – 12 [The Dawn Guild]

Sakura Quest offers a pretty much Sakura Quest-esque this week, and I come to believe that this is a strong mini-arc to close-up the first half of its run. For the Tourism Board, the Manoyama Founding Festival will become their most ambitious project in term of scope they have encountered so far. Moreover, documenting the […]

Seikaisuru Kado – 10[Towanosakiwa]

So despite my aggravation with how the last episode ended, this episode starts of strong with how the universe was created and the anisotropic beings watching over it. The whole sequence was great and beautifully alien. That half of the episode explaining how Saraka ended up on end was actually very strong and despite the […]

Uchoten Kazoku 2 – 11 [The Blood of the Tengu, the Blood of the Fool]

The Eccentric Family again takes some solid steps to its final showdown. But let me address this first because I’m sure no one really see it coming. Soun comes back to life. A fake-out death? Seriously? Using fake-out death ALWAYS comes with a price, which is all the emotional investment we had for the death […]

Re:Creators – 11 [The Monster Under the Eaves]

Not surprising that this was a more subdued episode since the events of last week landed two and a half creations in the hospital. Given their bed-ridden state, Re:Creators takes it time in developing some new deep and profound ideas about creating works and resolves the quagmire that Sōta finds himself in the last few […]

Little Witch Academia – 24[The Road to Arcturus]

Hmmm….mixed feelings. There are parts I like about this episode but then there is this underwhelming feeling over how things have turned out. In general I like that the epicly named world reconstruction magic turned out to be just a stick that performs party tricks. Thinking about it it’s likely the decline of magic is […]

Shingeki no Kyojin(Attack on Titan) – 37[Scream]

I was all geared up to write up a post that this season of attack on Titan was mere lip service for a third season that may never come when I seen that there is indeed a third season of Attack on Titan on the way next year. So I could voice those same complaints […]

Tsuki ga Kirei – 10 [The Setting Sun]

Kotarou and Akane have reached a stage where they need to think hard about the long term of their relationship. Akane is about to move town, so how they going to keep up their relationship? Usually for a teenager’s romance it means the end. Full stop. LINE and texting can keep them for a while […]

Sakura Quest – 11 [The Forgotten Requiem]

Well, apart from Ririko suddenly can sing confidently, and sings really well on top of that, this episode ends in high note. In fact, that statement really sum up this week of Sakura Quest as a whole. Messy, a bit all over the place with too many elements, but they have very strong ending that […]

Window Horses (2016) Movie Review – 87/100

Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon (Winter 2017) Review – 74/100

Scum’s Wish (Winter 2017) Review – 80/100

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Review – 90/100

When you have watched a large amount of anime you can come to assume that you have learned a lot about Japanese culture. Though I think it’s testament to how limited it is to view Japan through anime when you come to realize that despite watching so much, you have never heard of Rakugo. Rakugo […]

Youjo Senki Saga of Tanya the Evil Review – 80/100

Isekai stories have become somewhat of a tiresome genre as of late. There have been many stories of people being transported/reincarnated into other worlds where they shed their once pitiful exterior and become some legendary figure in another world. In most cases it’s trit, balant childish wish fulfilment and the stories often become tiresome when […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. (Winter 2017) Review – 83/100

Imagine my utmost amazement when a show that I wasn’t that confident on taking in the beginning turned out to be one of the most solid offering this season had to offer. ACCA is the most recent anime adaptation from mangaka Natsume Omo, which despite isn’t a household name, many of her works (6 titles […]

Demi-chan wa Kataritai (Winter 2017) Review – 62/100

Demi-chan is one of the newest addition to the monster girl subgenre, which usually feature a human helpless male lead get stuck in a harem of mythical creatures, in form of oversized boob girls of course (why usually those monsters are in female forms anyways? Aren’t they sexless?). In this case, we have monster girls […]

Seiren (Winter 2017) Review – 51/100

Let me say this out front, Seiren is NOT a good show, it’s a highly uneven one. Throughout its run, I can see some solid moments and fresh ideas that could potentially raise it above the bar, but ultimately, view it as a whole, Seiren is a show that isn’t worth recommending. At first, I’m […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100