Posted by psgels on 6 August 2008 with categories: Eve no Jikan

Short Synopsis: Our lead character lives in a future Japan where Androids are common and often used as tools
Highlights: The umpth anime about androids, let’s see what this one can add.
Overall Enjoyment Value: 7,5/10
So, the six-part OVA Eve no Jikan is the product of the creator of Aquatic Language and Pale Cocoon, and this seems to be set in the same world as Aquatic Language. The focus isn’t as much on the graphics as the ones above: the animation is way more static, and there’s not much experimental animation like in Aquatic Language either. Eve no Jikan is really about its setting: androids, and the difference between humans and androids.

It’s definitely not a new topic these days. There already have been so many android series that I’m wondering what this Eve no Jikan can add to this. The first episode was decent enough, but I like how the setting so far hasn’t tried to rip off other ideas. I think the best way to describe the level of androids is a more pessimistic look at the time-setting of Real Drive, and I also was reminded of the beginning of the Second Renaissance from The Animatrix. It’s at the border where androids have become nearly identical to humans, but still miss some subtle differences, which I expect to get blurred more and more in the rest of the six episodes of Eve no Jikan.

Real Drive showed these differences between Androids and Humans when the androids needed to do something that they weren’t designed for (the combat android, who tried to take his glasses back, for example). In Eve no Jikan, these differences seem more psychological. This episode suggested that androids very well have a human consciousness, but this continues to be repressed due to their servant-functions, but I first want to see more of these Doji-kois: what happens to those people who don’t oppress their androids, and treat them as regular humans instead? I also wonder, why design a sentient android when it’s just going to be a servant? I fail to see the economic purposes of designing androids that can feel sad when they’re abused. Either that, or the bartender’s owner bought the wrong sort of android…

1. Deya says:

Hi there
    i read your blog often
    due your reviews,
    i found a copy of “franz kafka – a country doctor”, but i cant find the eng subtitles, T_T
    if you have a hint that can help it willl be really nice :)

i thank you very much :)

2. psgels psgels says:

Strange place to ask this, but Tokyo Toshokan has a copy.

3. Omisyth says:

The approach to the subject matter was fresh enough to make it extremely interesting (to me, at least). So many little things can have meaning drawn from them to the extent that I found myself thinking about the show even after I’d watched it, and to me that is the mark of a good series.

4. Sej says:

I don’t think they *were* designed to be sentient in the first place. It seems like an accident to me, and one that society is largely unaware of.

This show’s strength is that it approaches this problem as it really is. I heard someone else harping on about how this has already been done before, but I disagree. The closest thing I could point you to is Pino and Iggy in Ergo Proxy, but even that doesn’t count because they gain sentience by simply installing programs.

I like the slice-of-life aspect that Eve sports, and the animation *is* actually pretty beautiful. There’s a lot of natural movement and attention to detail. Environments aren’t static and the audio really brings the metro alive.

My only criticism would be that the protagonist is wishy-washy, and less interesting than every other character so far. His lack of confidence is also something of a selling point, however, at least in that he can feasibly gravitate toward understanding the dori-kei position on all of this.

I remember learning about the potential problems between humans and sentient artificial beings, specifically regarding discrimination. Eve no Jikan is showing us a very likely prospect, if you think about it. The perception of Dori-kei is similar to the way people treat Akiba-kei in Japan already. Or hardcore VIPers and Hikkikomori.

Because if you did find out that your androids’ AI was so sophisticated that emergent intelligence issues began to rise, those beings would would be in limbo. It would take so long for enough people to actively declare that those artificially sentient beings WERE, in fact, actually alive, and it would take a very long time before the AS community could gain positive recognition, let alone suffrage or other civil liberties.

And Eve is probably going to dip into the whole “oh-noes-I’m-attracted-to-an-android” scheme a bit more.

Enjoy it, why don’t you? I think Akiko was adorable and that her story was really sad. I know some guys that have watched the first episode over 4 times consecutively. I really prefer Eve no Jikan over Pale Cocoon, because I find the clutter of everyday life to be so much more attractive (as well as difficult to create well).

And I noticed that the interfaces on all of the palm/cell-type things everyone used look just a little beyond what we’ve been seeing through OS/X, Ubuntu, and Vista stylings. I tend to loathe the oversimplification and disgusting anti-aliasing I expect to see puked all over every GUI that’s ever going to be made for the rest of my life and beyond, but I can’t say the ones I see in Eve aren’t depressingly true-to-life.

Honestly, Eve seems to delve into human-AI relationships much more profoundly than I’ve ever seen before. It really shouldn’t be Vince marveling at Pino’s loyal behavior, Real openly admitting that her right-wing mentality can’t fathom the concept of an autoreiv having feelings, or Hideki marveling at Chii’s underwear… It’s supposed to be a slow development, with lots of discrimination and repression, and that look Rikuo gets when he first sees Akiko at his school is exactly what should happen. He should see that and remember her and her behavior and his impression of her and realize that he met her when she had gone out unbeknownst to her owners to be at Eve so she might express herself openly for a while, and in that one moment, all of that, including the indecency of it (perhaps mixed in with a little bit of shock at knowing he had also been somewhat attracted to the girl)–was how he should have reacted.

And Masaki is appealing. He has a lot of potential to morph into a sort of bad guy, because he’s got this quasi-Luddite air about him.

But seriously, why blog about anime if you’re not going to be more thoughtful? You didn’t even mention any characters. Didn’t you like anything about any of them? I personally prefer Akiko over Sammy at this point (just because Sammy seems genuinely depressed, and she reminds me so much of a real woman that I’m turned off by the thought of her–although Akiko is neat because she reminds me of a real child, so she’s got some optimism left in her).

And if you’re just going to say you wished what you were seeing was something else you’ve already seen, why bother?

Oh, and Eve’s score is to die for.

5. Sej says:

P.S.

You say “they’ve already had so many android series,” but as I’ve been advocating the rights of artificially sentient beings at a time when they don’t even ask (I had a Mind Studies course in high school and we talked a lot about discrimination against robots), I tend to belong to the “they’ve already had so many human series” camps.

People suck. I hope Yoshiura does more in this universe, or at least with this theme. I actually really enjoy series in which there are human and android characters that cohabit (like in Star Trek: TNG). I wonder what people would say to a series about a community that consisted entirely of artificially sentient beings. I doubt anyone who has that kind of vision would also have the interest in creating it, or else they would just be mirrors of human personalities who spoke in slightly monotonous tones.

6. psgels psgels says:

I write this post a while ago, but I believe that the reason why I decided to blog this was because I thought that there was potential for this short series. One episode however, was just too short for this series to really show what it was worth for me, and it merely set itself a solid base for the next few episodes to work with, even though it basically only established that the androids are oppressed and that they’re beginning to show sentient emotions (both of which have been done before). Oh, and the reason why I didn’t comment on the characters: none of them really stood out enough for me to warrant a comment.

And as a student of computer science, I find it a bit hard to believe that sentient AI would just accidentally “appear”, since it’s already incredibly difficult to mimic the human brains, and I have difficulty to understand that when the programmers just were designing personal assistants, they also decided to make these beings as smart as human beings. Still, if intelligent AI was actually discovered at that point, but also misused, yeah, then I could imagine how people would neglect the endless possibilities of smart computers, then everything seems a bit more plausible. And that’s indeed my problem with this episode: we’ve just seen too little about the show’s setting to really let everything make sense. How were the androids designed? Do other people know that they can think for themselves? Those are some questions I want answered first before I’m going to fanboy about this anime.

7. AlexS says:

Sej: “I tend to belong to the “they’ve already had so many human series” camps.

People suck.”

Holy Cow! Sej, you’re in danger of becoming a sociopathic Dori-kei ;-)

Honestly, I think that the relationship between humans and AI’s is a very rich theme that has not been sufficiently explored, and perhaps Eve no jikan offers an interesting perspective.

I remember reading about how american soldiers in Irak felt an emotional connection to their combat robot, even though it is not at all anthropomorphic and is as conscious as a door knob. It’s just the nature of human bonding, that it is not very specific.

I can only start imagining how things would go when robots are much more human like in aspect and behavior. Chobits already dealt with the subject, but there’s plenty of room for more interpretations.

8. jo o says:

+BITCHES DON’T KNOW ABOUT MY LEARNING FUNCTION+

BRB, *evolution*

9. mike says:

Eve no Jikan does borrow some elements from Isacc Asimov. The three laws mentioned in the first episode, and built on later, were a deviation of Asimov’s 3 laws of robotics. The story seems to flirt with some of Asimov’s notions on how robots and humans would interact on those same laws. I thought the three episodes I have seen are were quite good and original outside of what I mentioned above. Even then it is borrowing and not ripping off Asimov’s work.

10. mithra says:

i don’t like idea of machines having feelings or being same as humans, we are superior cause we are God’s creation nothing made by man can ever be equal to God

I found their posts informative and sometimes even educative. Always learn something new every time I read one of their post
I know I have mentioned it here more than once in the chatbox, but it bears repeating that if you want to know more about the insights of anime industry and technical aspect of anime, go check out https://blog.sakugabooru.com/
@silver: in that case, I'll link you to the original source. Of course, all the credits go to the source as I was just merely paraphrasing what Kevin said in his post. https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2016/08/29/kizumonogatari-i-tekketsu-hen-oishis-story-part-1/
@silver: Shinbou didn't involve in H&C. Who Kaiser meant was Shinobu Morita, a character in H&C
silver
(con't) I've been considering it again because it shares a mangaka with 3-gatsu and she seems to write very good characters.
@Mario: I'll check out that post tomorrow. I've read some stuff about Shinbou describing his work with Shaft, so I'm glad to learn more about that.
silver
@Kaiser: I didn't know Shinbou was involved with H&C. O
silver
Monogatari appeals to me in a way I can't really enunciate despite the myriad gripes I have regarding its individual elements. Even the excessive fanservice feels appropriate in a story about adolescents and coming of age. Hidamari was a home run for me because the modern style and media diversity fit really well with the cast of art students.
silver
It may well be the folks working for Shaft who have the affinity for the unusual direction, but I haven't seen many of their works that he hasn't directed, so I always assumed that he was the orchestrator. A good chunk of those series derive from LNs, so I like the way heavy dialogue is handled. I can certainly understand disliking it both in style and substance.
@Mario: lol imagine if Goddard wrote monogatari.
I only haven't kept up with monogatari because there is too much to catch up on.
At one point honey and clover was probably one of my favourite anime of all time, I loved Shinobu especially and I remember it hitting on every single emotional note it went for. I do recall the ending being unsatisfactory however.
@silver: I said it in more detail here (in case you haven't read already) about Shinbo's role at Shaft. http://psgels.net/2016/10/17/3-gatsu-no-lion-02-akari-beyond-bridge/
I remember in the past getting a real kick out of hidamari, zetsubou sensei, paniponi and Arakawa. EF is the prettiest thing they ever did where the style never felt like a gimmick.
@Kaiser: yeah, and indeed Cossette was the latest anime that Shinbou directly directed. it was roughly 13 years ago
Regarding Honey & Clover, I've only read the manga (not even finished it and it was longggg ago) so I would love to watch the anime adaptation of it someday. Based on what I read H&C was a certainly worth following
@Mario: He directed Cossette no shouzou which I loved.
I can understand why 3-gatsu is the least Shaft-y work. The source material was very well-defined in term of arts and tone that if Shaft adapted it with more Shaft-style, it will stand out in a distracting manner.
@silver: I'm glad we both share the love for Shaft, but to be honest Shaft is a love-it or hate-it studio. I know both psgels and Aidan hate the Shaft with a passion, for example. About Shinbou, despite his name appeared as a director for most of Shaft's outputs, his real role is nothing more than supervising the projects. Long story short, he's directly involved in the Shaft's works.
silver
@SupeWoop: I'm glad Shinbou decided to diversify his techniques and cut down on the head tilts, cheap 2D animation, and other Shafty stuff. To me it shows that he's maturing as a director. Hopefully 3-gatsu will appeal to a wider audience with its more refined presentation. Take your time and enjoy! Episodic reviews are a laborious endeavor to which I could never commit.
SuperWooper
Hey silver, I'm the bum whose first 3-gatsu post will finally appear later this week. It's one of my favorite Shaft series, so we probably like different things about the studio's output, but I hope you enjoy the review when it gets published.
silver
@Mario: Thanks! I hope to catch up on S2 by then! Looking forward to it; it's my least favorite Shinbou Shaft work thus far, but I enjoyed last season despite finding chess boring and the show's lackadaisical pacing (it's a proper SoL indeed), I still enjoyed its characters. Have you seen Honey and Clover? I've passed on it a few times, but perhaps I should try again.
@silver: Wooper will takeover me on 3-gatsu this season, his first 3-gatsu post will come out propably on this wednesday. So stay tuned :)
silver
Mario, are you blogging 3-gatsu this season?
*poorly forcing
@Amagi: And that is one of the biggest advantages the show has for me, after being annoyed by so many shows ending up with tonal shifts and forcing cute designs into something more serious it is nice to see that girls last tour avoids that problem.
My texts are always too long..
It isn't enough to just say "look there is a dark subplot somewhere or a backdrop dystopia and we will get to it whenever it seems convenient". Last Tour is the opposite, it is moe, but the girls are part and product of the world they live in, + the cute and serious parts don't feel like two different series being glued together.
Girl's Last Tour is the good type of moe show for me. There are many that have or pretend to have some serious undertone, be it some dystopian setting or politics or whatever. But the difference between the good and the bad shows is that the former are actually connected with their serious part in everything they think or do while the bad shows only use the other topic as cheap way to alure fans.
@Bokusen: I'm not sugarcoating it, but Houseki tends to be the title that split the audience. Give it a try at least. If you can tolerant the first three episodes, chances that you will enjoy the rest
@Travlos: Now if only someone will translate the side story manga aswell.
Happiness! New chapters of Gunka no Baltazar!
Bokusen
@SuperMario Thanks! I'll give Houseki no Kuni a try then. A lot of the series I thought would be good are disappointing me, so I might be following a low number of series this season & it'd be cool if Houseki turns out to be something I like enough to watch this season.^-^
@Kaiser: right. The sole reason I described it as "cinematic" was just to lure you into watching it, so mission accomplished! Mind you, Girls' Last Tour is still a moe show at heart (look at their round faces and those big eyes. They're killing me)
But in all seriousness, I had had it initially written off as a crap moe show.
@Mario: You're ministry of anime propaganda tactics mentioning how cinematic it is got me to pick it up =P And you know how much of an aesthetics guy I am =P
I'm glad that many of you enjoying Girls' Last Tour. It's a nice little gem that I think works best when you going to it without any expectation
I swear this season has a lot of good anime to offer. I'm jaded
I always considered backgrounds as pretty important. Most anime only use them as backdrops because they have to be there somehow and it's really a different thing than Girls' Last Journey for example. Also I will like everything that has exploration and world building.
And achieves taking the viewer into its world, thankfully without relying on tons of expositional dialogue.
Girls last tour, somewhat succeeds in pulling me in by using its landscape that dwarfs the characters, to create its atmosphere, I wouldn't call it all that unfunny either. Though premise could risk going stale.
@Amagi, HA! Yeah I would like to believe but I am thinking that's not the case. Besides next season is looking pretty barren so far.
Eden would be great. But speaking of it, a lot of good manga get adapted recently. Maybe they finally understood that generic isekai, harem and school stuff isn't as popular as they thought it would be.
Maybe one day I can hope for a Freesia or Eden Endless world adaptation.
Jesus christ....I never thought it would happen, Banana fish is being adapted, I didn't think they could adapt a shoujo like that in todays market.
I also watched Inuyashiki and Girl's Last Tour. Inuyashiki looks great. Man do I hate that young guy. Reading what he did and seeing it was a totally different experience. Cannot wait for the next episode.

Girls Last Tour is really something special. In a good way.
Altair's episode showed all the issues and all the good things of the show. The pace is too quick, and yet they managed to build Urado and its denizens up quick fast in it. But again, this is a show that needs the LGOH treatment.
The manga also always uses "he/him" but I am not sure if the original had this too (like "kare" or similar words) since you can talk for a long time in Japanese without ever using pronouns.
Ah, yes I noticed Phos uses Boku in this episode which is the male way of saying I.
@Mario: Man, Zvyagintsev really, really knows how to deliver truly emotional gut punching moments and endings that are like cutting at open wounds.
@Mario: Houseki has fallen into place for me with those scenes with Dia and the snail thing and I've fully embraced the show, happy to see it just continue to do its thing.
@Mario: While Marios are girls best friend DIAmonds ahhhhre for evvvvvvahhh *Shirley Basey voice*
*bride
I can say though that if people fear the "Bastard Boyfiend" angle, its not that really. Its more of really weird apprenticeship relationship. Ainsworth is inhuman character in many ways
Oh hey, Mahoutsukai no Yome is on covered list. Nice, it is weird manga to read through since I'm kind of creeped out by the bribe thing, but its barely mentioned at all.
After finishing Made in Abyss it stuck out, some animation shortcuts in this week's Mahoutsukai. Holding on frames a bit too long, mainly having the music giving the emotion. To be fair, it was also a slow part in the manga.
If I recall correctly, the words "wandering Jew" were used at one point in the manga in relation to the villain.
Mahoutsukai was very pretty this week, but there were some troubling things popping up in there.
@Aidan: They are trying to bring Phos back from a snail. Man, Houseki sure is... quirky
@Mario, I would take a guess and say they are fighting evil by moonlight.
Okay, heading to Houseki now... let's see our gems doing this week
@Bokusen: (not because I'm blogging it but) watch it. it's a polarized one but it at least offers something original. I still haven't watched the third one though.
The new Mahoutsukai no Yome episode was so beautiful. TwT
Bokusen
BTW, is Houseki no Kuni worth watching? I was turned off by the animation, but I've read some good reviews on it.
Bokusen
Darn, last message didn't show up for me but now it does. Sorry about that.
Bokusen
Tanya the Evil and Uchouten Kazoku 2 were the gems this year for me so far, but Abyss was definitely the best thing I watched last season.
Bokusen
Tanya the Evil & Uchouten Kazoku 2 were the gems this year for me so far, though Abyss was definitely the best thing I watched last season.
Doesn't mean that there weren't other good series but I distinguish between good and somethin special I will instantly remember even months or years later.
How can you not like at least one of the current series, this season is pretty good. MiA was probably my only real great thing in the last season though.
@Anon, Aren't you forgetting Acca, Rakugo, Little Witch Academia and Tanya the Evil?
Made in Abyss seems like it's the only gem this year for me tbh
Whoa, I never even knew we had a PM feature.
@Kaiser: I've received it. Thanks Kaiser. I've never noticed the PM feature either
@Mario: I sent you a private message.
oh boy. Just received Mind Game Bluray Region free today. I ordered/funded it through Kickstarter a year ago and eventually forgot about it. Was a nice surprise to see it in the mail today
silver
I enjoyed this week's Kino. Leave only footprints indeed.
On the other hand I noticed some slight censoring in juuni taisen episode 3 I think.
I was also surprised with the lack of censorship during Inuyashiki's second episode.
First episode of inuyashiki covered the whole of volume 1.
*but almost never
@Mario: In general, Death of Stalin is an amusing film throughout, but never laugh out loud hilarious, Simon Beale is hilarious in it as Beria.
@Amagi: Gonzo did that mecha 7 samurai thing we must never speak of. However schmaltzly/sentimental Ikiru is, however it slumps slightly in the middle and final arc , it was still a genuinely moving film.
*than it is
To elaborate, I expected to dislike inuyashiki based on not enjoying Gantz, my reaction to the second episode was the same as Amagi's . The first episode was heavy handed a bit as Aidan mentioned, but its harder to watch that scene with the older guy get bullied/tormented that it is to watch highschool kids getting picked on by cliche anime thugs.
Also why Hillary Clinton? I mean i know Trump is supposed to have a cameo in the manga but why her?
@Vyse, Lets not jinx it. Plenty of series have shown great potential in their second episodes only to flop later. We can sing praises if it keeps this quality to the conclusion.
VyseLegendaire
Inuyashiki main villain should be Hillary Clinton
VyseLegendaire
Inuyashiki is suddenly like the best thing of the decade.
I wish there were more old MC series out there. Liked that about Real Drive too. Maybe someone will have mercy and adapt Kurosawa one day. Not exactly old but at least a series about a guy with midlife crisis.
I thought the happenings of the second Inuyashiki episode would have been too egdy but they actually gave the last few scenes a very good impact and the episode showed pretty well how sociopathes think (that whole gap between emotions for real people VS manga/fiction characters and events)
yup, I have no problem with Lenlo's review. Execution is what matters with me.
@Lenlo: You managed to sell me on a show that I didn't think I'd have bothered with.
silver
You did fine. It's a risk associated with reading post-viewing episodic discussions. Pretty much everyone knows that if you don't want to be spoiled don't even get online.
I tried to leave explicit spoilers about what happened outside the (more...) tag, but its a risk of readin a review I suppose.
silver
Hah, sorry about spoiling it. That's the problem with major shocks like that; they're most effective if you're not expecting them. Still, the show has deft execution of its executions, and that makes the experience worse than I could imagine.
Well im glad it convinced you. Tried something different with writing this week
man I should not had read the review. Now I will go and watch Inuyashiki. I had missed it.
silver
@Lenlo: It caught me off guard, too. Definitely working to earn that 'psychological' genre tag.
Well... Inuyashiki surprised me today. It went far darker than I was expecting. Thanks Gants author
@Mario: Such an odd art style, have you ever seen these? These are the film covers the Polish get:
*that was the most interesting character
@Mario: Z's ending was very very well played and it was Jean Tringnents was interesting, largely for that he was a right winger working with the left wingers.
And of course the British version of house of cards.
I wonder if he's seen Yes Minister and The New Statesman, also political comedies and for those of us who lived in the 80s seeing Thatcherites getting slagged off was great.
@Mario: I do think thick of it works better though as the humour serves a thirty minute episode more comfortably. Stalin's fairly short though so I don't think the joke will run out.
@Kaiser: the Death of stalin is the title I'm looking for as well. Will screen here in few weeks. I almost reccomend In the Loop and the Thick of It (haven't watched the latter though) for Travlos since they're a political satire, which I think he'll enjoy
@Amagi: Hope you already booked that heavens feel screening, cause its sold out.
I've heard that the anime's character development in Juuni taisen expands on the books, which only give them short lines for their backgrounds.
Ah, so perhaps in Juuni taisen they'll spin that so the Rat guy uses the ox guy to his advantage in some different way.
@Mario: There is a special atmosphere watching anime on a big screen.
@Mario: I might be seeing death of Stalin tomorrow or Saturday. The thick of it was hilarious and this has the same director as that.
Both Z and All the President's Men are coassic movie. Hold my attention from start to finish. Z, in particular, wowed me that I literally had my mouth wide open
Off tangent, watching Fireworks in the cinema the other day made me realize how I miss watching movies on the big screen. I might try to go to the cinema once a week again. Been missed out all the good movies lately.
In the Great Race story, Rat used a very underhanded tactic to win the race (it jumps into the Ox to pass the great river and then jump off to the finish line. This Rat guy's speciality is Killing All so there is a high chance that he survives till the end
@Kaiser: I have no doubt that we will have more amazing character arcs for Juuni Taisen.
But that could prove to be too predictable.
I wonder if the Rat guy is going to be the wild card in all this, after all in the old story, wasn't it the Rat who won that zodiac race thing?
Juuni Taisen is killing off its most interesting characters.... =< I wanted the bird girl to stay around a bit longer.
I'd love to see more Lem or Stugastky style/brand of scifi, I need to rewatch stalker again.
@Amagi: Going back to the cyberpunk thing, I don't want just any ol' thing getting made, I want to see something scifi related thats ACTUALLY clever and has long and DIFFICULT dialogue .
@Travlos: While not a political series Chaos;head is a good example of being annoyed at the conspiracy thing, what drives me up the wall about that show and its sequel is how every every time I think about going back to it I realize that its only interesting on a surface level and is utter hokkum.
@Kaiser. Yup, perhaps because I work in political science, they tend to anger me. So I avoid them. Borgen is a good political series.

In general. It still startles how much of a better character anime Tsutomu was comapred to manga Tsutomu in Bridy the Mighty. But I forgive the manga as I get more Gomez!
@Amagi/Kaiser, thought as much. Strike it off the list then. And God Tsubasa was a cluster fuck by the end.
Eh simul-dub of Juuni taisen is out, I might aswell keep up with that instead.
Y'know I had this weird relationship with dragonball in general. When I was younger I never actively seeked out the show, but on a rare occasion I would watch random episodes whenever I was channel hopping and nothing else was on.
@Amagi: Clamp shared universe was a mistake.
I really really wish that that tone breaking style of comedy stops being a thing.
It doesn't happen often, but there ARE shows we all have that snap trigger us when they get mentioned.
I feel my disdain of re:zero is because I hate Akame ga kill and Higurashi so much and it prevents me because of bias from enjoying it.
@Aidan: In addition to what i posted about Pandora, you will hate the comedy.
@Mario: I will rewatch it, the first one is one of those things that improved on repeat viewings.
@Travlos: Conspiracy theories are one of those things I find myself taking interest in, then almost immediately consider immensely stupid and a waste of time.
Aidan: If you didn't like the first parts of Pandora you won't like the rest either. Most people that loved it did this because of the characters and setting, the story isn't really getting better and I kinda disliked what they did near the end. It was overcomplicated and everyone had like three different personalities, plot twists and so on. Not nearly as bad as Tsubasa Chronicle though
@Bokusenou, believe me when I say you are not few. There are plenty who Dislike Re:Zero. I can understand it and I sort of get where your coming from regarding the characters. (Though Saber sucks) There is just something about the series that I just adore.
@Kaiser. I have not watched most of them. But I have watched Z and All the President's Men. Both are great films. The issue with me is that while I like political thrillers I despite conspiracy theories. Far too many pol. thrillers dive into con.theory stuff. So I must be discriminating.
Okay, I'm off to watch Blade Runner 2049 now. Hopefully it can be as good as the original
In contrast World's End Harem, surprisingly looks to be trying. It has one story trying to play straight, the scenario of being the last man in a world mainly habited by woman. And has had this framing of self worth, temptation and doubt I like. No work of art, but surprising for this type of manga.
In regards to manga, I'll need to look for something good, being losing time with ecchi stuff. Which I can tell Okamoto should just make hentai, seeing as his latest work, doesn't even try to be anymore than pandering trash (at least older work, had a notion of a story).
@Travlos: Did all the presidents men and Parallax view by Pakula appeal to you?
@Travlos: Actually as your are a Greek....have you watched Z, missing, State of siege or the confession? None of them are actually in Greek but they were political thrillers directed by Costa Gravas.
KT here: Well I am a sucker for political thrillers and "grand" politics, so the direction it took is quite fun for me. Even if it does indicate a Tomino ending.
For me Titan peaked at volume 8 and I never bothered continuing on much further.
@Aidan: I remember a commenters on here a good while ago that mentioned the ending didn't satisfy or come together well and made the investment not worth it.
@Aidan: Honestly it was only near the halfway point I vested any interest in pandora hearts, the first 4 volumes left me wondering if I'd drop it, then near the last few volumes I simply fell out of reading it.
Bokusenou
I feel like I'm one of the few people who don't understand why Re: Zero is so popular...the only characters I half liked were Puck & Crusch (the latter because she reminded me of Saber from the Fate series, minus the unnecessary perma-blush marks) My anime club screened the series and I really should have skipped those meetings...
Mmm Inuyashiki episode 2 tomorrow. Time to see where it goes
@Anon, That reminds me. Anime limited better announce the date of the Re:Zero Blu-ray release at that panel of theirs at MCM London Comic Con. They are the only ones known to have licensed it and they have a partnership with Funimation. Even if we don't get a second season I have to get the first on Blu-ray.
Emilia re:zero
Finally Got that review up. Been sitting in my to do list for a while.

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World- – 03[Bothersome Country]

One particular thing I really like about this series is that the title of the individual stories often defies expectation. For example we had a country where people were allowed to kill, only instead of a hellish country filled with murderous thugs it’s instead a safe place filled with those sick of murder who only […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 3 [The Balance Distinguishes Not Between Gold and Lead]

This week, Mahoutsukai moves into a slower pace. Showing off more of its world and delving a bit deeper into magic and how it connects to the world. Lets jump in. There are two main points I want to touch on for this episode of Mahoutsukai. The first being the actual main focus of the […]

Ballroom e Youkoso – 15/16 [Taking the Reins/Four-legged]

Boy, this was really a Tale of Two Ballrooms. One of these episodes was almost certainly outsourced, based on the visual inconsistencies that extended even to key poses, but handled its character moments dutifully. The other looked markedly better than most of this show’s recent offerings, but rushed through so much material that its conclusion […]

Houseki no Kuni – 03 [Metamorphose]

It just occurred to me since I watched Bakuman (the first season of it, anyways) fairly recently, but watching Bakuman made me realize how tough it is to have your manga publicize, let alone become a popular one. For those who have watched the anime or read the manga of Bakuman, remember the early Golden […]

Girls’ Last Tour – 03 [Streetlights]

Welp, I never would have thought Girls’ Last Tour can get any better, but this week’s episode is straight up phenomenal. Episode 3 manages to make some new tricks to its well-established formula: introduces another human survivor to the mix, askes a deeper philosophical question about the meaning of life in that stark world (and […]

Inuyashiki – 2 [Hiro Shishigami]

Woe be unto thee who passes further, for today we are talking about Episode 2 of Inuyashiki! A lot happened this week. New characters, dark twists and the start of what I can only imagine is the central conflict of the season. Lets jump in! First and foremost, we need to talk about Hiro Shishigami. […]

Juuni Taisen – 03 [Cutting a Chicken with a Beef Cleaver]

I’m starting to worry about Juuni Taisen. Like what we all predicted last week, this week indeed follows a reverse zodiac order. We have Chicken served as our main POV and at the end she’s the one who get sendoff (with no small help from the episode title. What a huge spoiler). Judge by the […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 15[Differing Paths]

It’s funny that only now, when we are well into the halfway point of the series that it takes some time to flesh out its cast. Sisgou has gotten some backstory, Fiore was fleshed out a little and even Gordes got some time to prove he’s not a complete caricature. The last one is something […]

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World- – 02[Colosseum]

In an odd turn of events, the second episode of Kino’s Journey 2017 is a retelling of a story done in the original 2003 version. Where Kino is forced to participate in deathmatches upon reaching a country. I find this choice odd as I would consider the Colosseum story in the original to be the […]

The Reflection Review – 45/100