Posted by psgels on 27 November 2008 with categories: Casshern Sins

Short Synopsis: Casshern arrives at a robot graveyard.
Highlights: Nico was awesome.
Overall Enjoyment Value: 9/10 (Fantastic)
Oh my god. This was without a doubt the best episode of Casshern Sins yet, and with such a series, that really has to say something. I can’t believe how easy these writers make it seem to just create such wonderful stories, episode after episode. This episode not only evolved the storyline, but it also created one of the most awesome characters of the series: Nico.

There were lots of different characters with prominent roles in this episode, and it was much, much more than just another episode of Casshern the “chick magnet”. Nico was kind to everyone she ran into, not just Casshern. The most notable of this was of course the male robot (there really needs to be some sort of general term for them): finally one of them gets a bit of depth, and the results are wonderful. As a robot, he doesn’t feel pain like normal humans, so if he loses a bunch of limbs, all he can just do is sit at one place and wait for the destruction to kill him completely. He’s also the first of his kind to see that Dio was wrong, and have a change of heart.

Of course, I could write pages about how incredibly awesome this episode was, but you really need to see it for yourself. At this point, the creators have really established themselves as masterful storywriters, who really try to make the best out of each of their episodes and take nothing for granted. I’m really glad to have given this series a second chance after its lacklustre first episode and decided to blog this.

1. indr008 says:

and there are people out there who chose to watch meaningless fanservice shows rather than this…..seriously, this show has even overcome my fanboyism over Gundam 00 and thus makes me able to say Casshern sin is of a better show than Gundam 00

2. choco says:

Ringo and Nico = cutest things that ever existed

3. Haven’t seen it yet as the Casshern Sins page of zomganime has been down, but your comments kinda make me proud that I’ve been a fan of this series and even decided to start my own blog about it (albeit a mere few aspects of it). I now feel sorry for those jerks who completely trashed the show after watching just the first or the first two episodes. They don’t know what they’ve been missing, and should they even reconsider now or later, it could only be pathetic as hell.

4. Solaris says:

Well, i was waiting for this show. The mood and atmosphere is fantastic, but there’s someting yet missing.
    I’m not happy about Kyashan right now. It seems to me it’s progressing far too slowly.

And by the way, what’s with that chick magnet? It ruins all the pahots.

5. Cylph says:

I am really impressed by the story and the animation (depth is so rare too!) and I don’t know what it was based off of was like this or what? BTW Ojisan is now Boulden apparently.

6. Solaris says:

Cylph, the old (very old indeed) serie was far more deep than this emo haremish opera.
    Don’t count in the fucking awful movie though. It wasn’t anything like Casshern ought to be

7. TCoFA says:

Picked up the series and I must say. I am amused. Even so, the falling-on-knees-and-screaming parts aren’t really my thing and everyone important he seems to meet, with two exceptions, is female.

That said. I share your opinion on Nico.

8. Fabienne says:

Oh,theres someone who blogs Casshern Sins,thats nice ; )

This anime really got style,with this thick atmosphere and the way the story is told,its very enjoyable.

In this Episode I was surprised that that a big bad Mecha even could be nice to others.
    In the other episodes the big bad Mechas were always stupid hooligans.

9. I finally got to watching this episode. You know me; if there’s a Casshern-x-Lyuze element to the episode, I automatically like it and I’d say it’s awesome. But that wasn’t really the case with this episode.

There’s surely have been more development between the two characters here than any other episode (Casshern calls Lyuze by her name now, they talk and hang out like they’re friends or something, and they are now shown facing in the same direction), and I don’t know if it was just my bad mood at the time of watching, but there’s something about the progression of the scenes and story that’s rather “jerky”. It feels like everything’s going a bit too fast, and things are happening a little too abruptly.

I’ve actually been waiting for an episode “with flowers”. I’m thinking, Casshern would pick a flower or a bunch of ’em (a blue rose perhaps?) and give them to Lyuze as a peace offering *slash* “token-of-affection”. Well, this episode has a lot of flowers in it, but I guess that is just too much to ask for. On the other hand, this episode shows that Lyuze is not indifferent towards flowers and I hope Casshern somehow picked that up. If he was able to just know Lyuze’s name without anyone telling him, there’s no reason for him not to.

Another thing I’ve noted in this episode is how the people behind it seemed to have highlighted the contrast between Casshern’s sensitivity and Lyuze’s roughness. I’m talking of course with the way they treated Nico. So basically, the the lead couple of this series (if I may call them that this early), is a sensitve, emo-but-not-a-pansy-by-all-means guy, and, a tomboy who-hasn’t-lost-touch-with-her-femininity. Exactly my kind of couple: a guy I can relate to, and a chick who’s just my type. Another reason for me to like this show.

10. Solaris says:

CasshernXLyuze what “flowers” did you smoke? I want some too o.O”

It shows you kids never watched the old classic :S

11. @ Solaris:

I’m straightedge, I don’t do shit like that. And I’m not a kid.

I am aware of the original Casshern, but I haven’t watched it. I also saw that 90s Casshern and I don’t remember liking it. Do I have to? I mean, to enjoy this series, I have to have watched the original?

The problem with people like you is that you have trouble accepting more recent titles in a franchise as independent of the original and later predecessors. I think it has already been pointed out that the storyline of Casshern Sins has nothing to do with the original series. Even if no one did, it should be obvious for someone of your supposed experience and intellect.

It shows how you think you already know a lot, and how quick you are to pass judgment without a decent amount of basis. And yeah, keep your garbage to yourself.

12. Solaris says:

Eheh don’t be mad at me, cause i was joking with your flowers back then :) Just make a big laugh and go on, k? ;)

The 90’s OAV was a very quick summary of the older serie. It wasn’t that bad, but lacked a lot of introspection. Anyway the basic plot was still there.

Let me introduce you the real Casshern and the contact points between old and new series.

Short summary. Dr Azuma build a new serie of AI with the purpouse of solving the greates issue of pollution. But the AI disfunctioned and become “alive”. The new generated Braiking interpreted the task Dr Azuma gave them by literally removing the main agent of world pollution, that is, ironically mankind. Braiking build an army of robots and declared war to humanity.
    Dr Azuma, from savior of the world was addressed as the Fool Scientist that ruined the world.
    Dr Azuma tried to find a solution and developed a new kind of cyborg to defeat Braiking’s army.
    The new project is revolutionary: a biological mix of robot and living form, moved by solar energy. It combined the strenght of the robot and intellect of humans. But a sacrifice is necessary to operate it: someone must give out his humanity and become that monster.
    The first experiment on a living creature was successful: Tetsuya’s pet Friender was turned into a multi task robot. It can change to an airplane and other kind of veicles at command. It also equipped a firethrower in the mouth.
    But Braiking came aware of Dr Azuma’s plans and prepared to strike.
    On a dreadful night, Braiking attacked the lab. Tetusya, Dr Azuma’s only child, decided to be the sacrifice for Casshern birth. Aware of loosing its own humanity he takes farewell from his family and his love, Luna and went inside the machine. Tetsuya’s body was disintegrated and fused with Casshern’s mechanical skeleton.
    An horrible view awaits newborn Cashern the subsequent day: The lab is destroyed, his parents are missing. He gets friender and begins his quest. Some time later he also find Luna. That is another beautiful story, but i’ll leave that for now.

Given this prologue, there’s much more plot in the first serie than in the new one, right? But that’s not all… [continues]

13. Solaris says:

Casshern now is neither a human nor a robot. He’s an halfbreed from both races at war. Nonetheless his appearence is still human and he pretends to be one. But he knows he’s not and fears to be rejectd from mankind in the first place. He fights robots but what to do if humanity that he loves so much, would turn against him knowing the truth?
    Luckily enough nobody noticed the superhuman strenght and agility, and Casshern quickly becomes a new symbol of hope. He’s the new saviour people relies on. By now, cause Braiking will eventually find out the truth and would use that info against Casshern.
    The only ally of Casshern is her: Luna. At the start of the story Casshern resused Luna. Being no more human he feel sorry not to be the man she loved anymore. But Luna still loved him and would never say farewell to him.
    Casshern is aware that the robotic body is slowly taking over of himself and he’s loosing his mind. Whenever that will happen nobody knows what it will be of him. Cassher will turn in am emotionless fighting machine and Testya will eventually fade away.

[continues]

14. This is the very connection to the new serie. Hundreds of centuries in the future, Casshern has (supposedly) ommitted the greatest sin, killed Luna and his own humanty is now lost. This new serie is a journey backway to humanity for Casshern.

Where did you get this? I got the part that Luna was “summoned”… does this mean she time-travelled to the future or something?

This is what’s currently in the Wikipedia article:
    The series has been remade, completely discarding the continuity presented in the original Neo-Human Casshern anime series, in which Casshern was a cybernetic superhero battling the evil robotic forces of Braiking Boss in a post-apocalyptic Earth. Instead, in Casshern Sins, Casshern is presented as a cyborg subordinate of Braiking Boss who was ordered to assassinate the savior of mankind, and has thus doomed the Earth to ruin.

Of course, in no way am I saying that you’re wrong and whoever wrote that part of the article is right. I’m just sharing the information.

Honestly, I’m just in this for the “Lyuze” and the “Casshern-x-Lyuze” sides of it. I don’t really care about everything else. Some people probably have negative things to say about that, but so what? That’s what I like about this series.

15. Solaris says:

Remember that wiki is written by people and can be wrong. Sure the director changed something, but the only difference with respect to the old serie looks Casshern being subordinate to Braiking. We don’t know what really happened in the fictional time line as there’s a huge gap between the old and the new story. I can tell you how it finished and you know how it restarted. Then you can do your calculations. Mine is a nice teory after all.

Btw, let me continue the essay from above.
    So, themes such as pollution, racism, lost humanity, war and sacrifice were themes of the wise old Casshern. Now we have a very nice mood and atmosphere about a dead world and the few living and robotic beings that still live there. The manin theme here is just Casshern doing his journey in search of his lost humanity and love. Luna, the wonderful character lost from the first serie is now a symbol of hope and redemption. You see what a change in 30 yeasr of Casshern.
    Casshern was once the main actor in the war between Humans and Robots. Now all the story centers around him.
    But the old Casshern was a char eternally struggling in the fight for an higher mission, that was to take remedy of the mistakes of the past and to save the future.
    Today Casshern has no aim, no mission. He just wanders off in search of something missing, but finds only the ruin of a lost forgotten world, and its insane inhabitants, old remaning of the robot who took the world over humans.

16. psgels psgels says:

I think that the major theme in the new series is a bit more than just watching Casshern wander around. It’s also about how people and robots choose to live, knowing that they’re going to be destroyed anyway, which is one of the main reasons why I’m so interested in this series.

Also, at the end of this particular episode, Casshern most definitely gives himself a clear mission: if he was the one who caused the destruction, then he’s going to be the one to stop it.

17. Solaris says:

Yes, Psgels, you are right, but it happened in the last episode. Yet there were nine long episode worth of wandering for Casshern to decide to move on…

That’s why i said elsewere the serie is progressing far too slowly. The “short summary” i wrote down before is only one episode and it has more plot than nine episodes of the new serie!

So, if i’d to give out marks (non tech stuff):
    Environment and mood: 10
    Char development: 8
    Plot: 2

18. About Luna being there centuries later, sure you heard hints in the last episodes about Luna possibly being alive and immortal, didn’t you?

Let me ask you this then; why is it that Luna (here in Casshern Sins) had to ask who the intruder is? If she knew Casshern from back then, that won’t be necessary, and she’d probably be a lot more emotional than that. And is the Luna in the original series also “immortal”?

But we could argue and question all we want. The best thing to do, in my opinion, is to just wait for the rest of the series to unfold.

That’s because the “old Casshern” was intended to be a superhero. This Casshern, while still saving people and fighting bad guys, obviously wasn’t. Even if he were, I’m still not seeing it.

I agree on slow part. If you’ve seen an older comment of mine, I said that 12-13 eps. is just right for this series. Then it became clear that this is gonna go up to the 24-26 range through the use of “fillers”. But I learned to just deal with it, sit back, and enjoy it.

Was the original series that “unresolved” for you to want this series to pick up where it left off or be an improved version of it?

19. Solaris says:

Luna was human. Her weapon was a magnetic gun that destroyed robots but was harmless to humans. She was completely different in the old serie. That’s a real pity cause i liked very much that character of hers.

In this serie the two seem to be complete strangers. Well much time has passed in the timeline anything could have happened, such as memory loss. Most likely in the eventuality of Luna being turned into a cyborg too.

As a matter of fact, this is a new serie. It’s normal that there are differences and given the time gap, i demand for explanations that the serie didn’t yet provide me, being over 1/3 of the planned airtime.

As a matter of fact the two series are very different, but the’t what we’d expect after 30 years gap between the two ;) Anime has changed and also the public has changed.
    We an also skip on some discordances in the happenings for the sake of the new plot continuity.

Last note: Casshern is still a superhero. He just forgot it. With some luck the plot will start moving soon and we well have all the answers we derserve.

Super last note: I really hope for your sake that Luna will be dead or something unless there’ll never be place for Casshern X Lyuze, Sopithia, Nico or whatever else chick ;)

20. Eldar says:

Solaris, some of us have seen the original Casshan anime (thank you youtube) and I can frankly say that it doesn’t even approach the current incarnation in terms of quality of animation or writing.

21. Cassh says:

How about we all just get along..
    Love this episode. Thanks for the blog.

22. What’s with my tentative of explanation that bother you so much CxL? I thought about it and tried to join the old with the new in the most logical way.

It’s not the same storyline.

Look, we could argue about this endlessly and that would just be a waste of time. So I say, let’s just keep watching the series and see if it turns out as you say (a continuation of the original), or not (a completely different storyline).

The series hasn’t even reached half its intended number of episodes (I hope they don’t cancel it), so expect more “delays”.

If Casshern’s “still” a superhero in this series, I don’t recall a single line in the dialogue that supports the idea. What he forgot was everything prior to his reawakening, which of course revolves around the act of tracking down and killing Luna. And so far, I haven’t seen any indication of him being a superhero during that time or prior to it. In addition, if he was even considered a “good guy”, he could have simply walked up to Luna and not have to be confronted by Lyuze’s sister. And considering his superiority as a fighting machine, he could have even been the one charged of protecting Luna.

Take a hint from the opening, the list of seiyuu in the ending, and the list of characters in the official website. They obviously intended Lyuze to be the “hero’s girl” of the show. I don’t know why they decided not to put Luna in that role, and instead come up with a new character for it, but I like the end result.

And you don’t have to hope that. I know “Casshern-x-Lyuze” is gonna happen regardless of what state Luna is in. Believe it!

23. Solaris says:

Eldar, do you watch anime on youtube and yet argue about quality?
    Nontheless it’s quite obvious that a 30 years old anime looks “quite much outdated” in comparison to a modern one. But about the plot, please, don’t even bother telling its writing was worse cause it’s absolutely not true.

CxL let’s see what it will happen. Of course we’ll write our own final notes at last when the anime will be finished.

24. GGear0323 says:

anyway, the writing is excellent in this series, even if 90% percent of the time it has nothing to do with the plot and more to do with the atmosphere. just because the plot is slow moving doesnt mean the writing is bad at all.
    i mean the plot is simple enough, Casshern is told he caused the ruin by killing Luna and so he wants to find a way to somehow help the world or stop the ruin altogether. while we dont really have established villains (Dio being an antagonist and all but he also wants to end the ruin, and Braiking Boss just wandering around himself) the series as a whole has been wonderful so far and i cannot stop watching it.

so far, most of the deepness in the writing pertains to how they portray the robots trying to live in such a world that in effect they also helped create, and in that aspect, this show is VERY deep and moving.

on the casshern side, we dont really feel his pain because even though he has been told he caused all this, he still doesnt remember anything and just takes everyone’s word for it. when we start to delve into his side of things a little deeper, i suspect the writers will do just as fantastic a job as they have been doing so far.

25. while i am pretty sure that this series has nothing to do with the original, there are always ways to somehow connect them if you want.

Thank you.

I don’t think it’s just “taking everyone’s word for it”. He saw for himself the kind of destruction he’s capable of (late episode 02 – early episode 03), albeit when not in control himself. And that seemed enough to convince him that the accusations he just one day woke up to are true. He doesn’t have any memory of his “sin”, but he acknowledges it as if he does.

26. wtf says:

man this episode made me tear up a bit at the end :'( Very powerful character. This episode reminds me a bit of Planetarian: Chiisana Hoshi no Yume (a little star’s dream). If you have not played that, YOU MUST!! It will make you really teary by the end (and its fully translated =))!! Very powerful. You could probably torrent it by a cursory search of google. Fairly short, about 2 or 3 hours if i remember correctly.

27. the op of kurozuka is weird says:

this series is boring. . .

I cant help but feel theres some cultural aspect I am missing to the Rakugo rant scene. Makes me sad.
Rakugo, continues to be great and gets another time skip. Im always surprised by how engrossing it is just listening to these people talk.
Makes me sad, just like Berserk. Got an entire shelf dedicated to it but its just so slow. stupid boat.
Vagabond was phenomenal, but its been on hiatus for years now hasnt it
....well without spoiling towards the middle of that rakugo episode and all throughout during that middle part, my opinion on Yotaro's character went far up.
Struggling to remember the name of that josei samurai manga from the 90s (or earlier 2000s), had a gender bending theme.
I've already read kenshin and vagabond, I loved shigurui death frenzy and sword of the stranger but found samurai champloo uneven. Theres a kagemusha manga but I haven't read it and I've yet to see/read blade of the immortal.
At a glance I'll go against the grain and say I think demi-chan is funnier than konosuba, going on one episode of each.
I've been watching a fare share of samurai films in the last two years and lately so I'm open to wathing more anime/reading manga dealing with samurai.
Hand Shakers, how I love to watch it jumping off the cliff. This show contains lines like "I don't understand... even if I did understand... but I don't understand." It isn't a dialogue that we encounter too often I'm sure.
@Mario, Sounds good to me. With me covering Little Witch Academia, Saga of Tanya the evil and Rakugo this season is well covered.
so I've decided to blog 3-gatsu, Scum's Wish and ACCA this season. A bit worry about the latter as I still don't have much to talk about that. Let's try it and see what happens; I say
Okay, I'm not hot on Onihei this week, as if the main theme about these two episodes were "people can be corrupted" then I'm not buying it. ACCA, on the other hand, was still very solid of building up the world and its big events to come.
I have played all the big roguelikes and found they have the same problem. I argee on procedural generation. Even if the map is different every time you are essentailly going through the same rooms and doing the same things.
Though to be honest, I don't like procedural(or designed room and then game connects them randomly) games much. I much enjoy hand designed dungeons since I rarely play games through more than once anyway so roguelike's appeal of "Every time you play it through its different!" doesn't appeal to me much and hand designed dungeons are much more memorable
Can't really comment further on that since I don't know which roguelikes you have played, and neither I have played gungeon so I don't know if its badly designed to the point you can't do anything if rng says so. Though I guess there is nothing wrong about liking luck based games, if roguelike in question is truly unbeatable if rng says so, well, its really badly designed one if you ask me.
Take my last run. Made it up to the fourth floor. Got plenty of guns but none were really useful. Even then ran out of ammo for all of them and the game was cheap about giving out ammo. Plenty of money but shops with nothing worth buying. Over 5 heart containers but no goddamn health. Died on the boss because I rolled out of a bullet into another bullet. Pretty much unavoidable.
@Masky, that's the theory but in pretty much every roguelike I played its not the case. If the RNG decides you are going to have a bad time then you are going to have a bad time. Skill can only bring you so far. I have played this game for 7 hours and I know I could have finished it in 2. Only thing stopping me is a dice roll.
Like, the thing with roguelikes is that they can get easier/harder depending on luck, but well done one should be completable even without any upgrades at all if you are skilled enough.
Thats not the really case with roguelikes though, unless game design is bad and includes insta kill traps and such that are unavoidable if you are unlucky
I hate roguelikes. Been playing enter the Gungeon and I just lost all patience with it. Getting real tired of my victory being decided by a RNG. It never feels satisfying to finish a roguelike because I know my victory was determined by pure luck.
So we got to rely on fansubs for it when it's airing.
@Mario, Nope. I think because netflix only puts up full seasons they are only planning to put it up when it's finished airing. Or when it's dubbed.
But how does the Netflix thing work? So of I have a Netflix account I can watch the show weekly?
@Aidan: that's a dumb way to do things really because unless you watch the show weekly, everyone gonna forget that it even exist. Just look at Re-Life last year
thought*. Words are hard.

Eventually found the actual first ep though and enjoyed it.
Was funny. I tried to find the first Ep for Little Witch, found original short made afew years ago, watched it and though "This is very similar to the original... Whats new".
Little witch is one of the best shows this season and yet I can't get subtitles because Netflix doesn't release shows weekly. Motherf*cker.
Ore Monogatari I enjoyed. It was a nice romance that actually explored what happens after the confession. Also the 2 leads are just precious.
Alright but unmemorable seems like a good summation.
@Lenlo: one good thing about Seiren is if you don't like this romance, the whole thing gonna reset after episode 4 so there's a chance that you might end up like it. Agreed that the comedy wasn't very good. Alright but unmemorable
@Topgavin: I watched like first 3 episodes and stopped because I didn't have much time there, but I enjoyed what I saw. A well-written and endearing show in my book
Has anyone here watched Ore Monogatari before? Because in the 4 years I've watched anime, I've never heard of it (I guess it did come out 2 years ago) and yet it's turning out to be one of my favorite shows. Always great going into a show expecting nothing and getting pleasantly surprised.
Only one more impression to go. Should have it up tomorrow.
Im really not feeling Seiren. Its "comedy" isnt for me and I just dont find it very enjoyable to watch so far. Im curious if it gets any better but 2 episodes in it just isnt that good.
HelghastKillzone
That ending scene is an entire side-story compressed into that. Don't expect anymore of it from here on out as the it sticks to ruthless military/fantasy pretty well.
LookingForKeys
@Topgavin I think it was good, making it the second episode. That way the first set up the world the story will be in, and showed how much of a monster the "little girl" really is right at the end, and then made ep.2 the explanation. Nothing against Tanya trying to rip "God" a new one.
That after-credits scene, though...
Hmm, as much as I like Seiren's omnibus format, it doesn't turn out really hot this second episode. Demi-chan, on the other hand, still maintains its endearing tone. Might blogging Demi-chan instead
Yeah, that second episode was much better than the first. Dunno why they didn't start with that to be honest, waste of an opportunity for a good hook episode. The voice for the main girl still sounds weird to me though; I get it's supposed to sound weird because it symbolizes 'her' being out of place and her personality and body being a mismatch, but it'll certainly take some getting used to.
Youjo Senki, now we are talking. Like Helghast said, Did the god scene way better than the LN and manga. Made it less comedic and more intimidating.
Oh man that Rakugo intro. Not sure what to think, but first time seeing it I liked it
I sort of like good will hunting because I kind of saw a bit of myself in Damon's character when I watched it ages ago.
@Mario: Remaking psycho and ruining the shower scene, for shame van sant, for shame.
Its easy to ripoff some obscure thing though and get away with it. The dogtooth director essentially stole an old Mexican film to make that.
@Kaiser: yeah, that following some guys from behind like they were on a RPG games, which I think actually fit with the tones of Elephant. I have such mixed feeling with Gus van Sant too. Don't really think he's a great director.
@Mario: Although Istvan Szabo is probably a little more well known for that Mephisto film that updates the Faust story. Zoltan Fabri's the fifth seal is a very thought provoking war movie.
@Mario: I remember seeing a film documentary that featured Gus van sant in one section, they showed clips of tarrs films, Sant ripped of the cinematography and stole the style from some British short film to make Elephant.
@Kaiser: agree on the other Hungarian filmmakers, I don't know much about them either.
@Mario: Scorsese's Silence was a big comeback. I really really emotionally connect with spiritual crisis stories.
@kaiser: yep, definitely check wreckmeister down. Althought I admit that watching his 2-hour plus films will feel like 5-hour anyways
@Mario: I'm more tolerant of darker teenage/coming of age films/stories. Les Demons was a big surprise.
@Mario: Though its kind of frustrating, I do think Tarr probably takes attention away from other hungarian filmakers because no-body knows who the hell the others are.
@Mario: Man, wreckmeister was so visually arresting I started getting dreams from it.
@Mario: I would consider Tarr to be kind of a poor mans Janco, Angelopolus and Tarkvosky rolled into one. I don't entirely "get" wreckmeister and man from London but they are great atmospheric mood piece experiences.
@Kaiser: I had been wanting to watch Belar Tarr's Turin Horse and Werckmeister Harmonies for so long now. Well, Fat Girl is shocking haha, but I'm normally drawn into those kind of films anyway.
@Kaiser: Margaret took like 5,6 years to release because he couldn't cut it down in the way he wanted. The final cut if I remembered correctly was edited by Martin Scorsese
@Mario: Only a HDcam for moonlight now.
I looks like my lineup is witch academia, rakugo and youjo senki, well the most latter one until I get bored.
@Mario: I sense a directors cut for manchester, it feels like it need another 30 minutes.
@Kaiser: right up my valley. Watch Kenneth Lonergan's previous works Magaret and You Can Count on Me. Magaret is very messy but have a raw dialogue and interactions as well
Now the first episodes are over, I will keep on covering 3-gatsu, as for the other twos atm I have 3 options: 1) full romance/anti-romance high school Seiren/Scum's Wish. 2) slice-of-life moe monster girls Demi-chan/Maid Dragon and 3) Mature,dark Onihen/Acca (which although I like them I don't have much to talk about).If you guys have any preference on which shows you like covered then let me know
@Helghast: At this point I'm watching youjo senki as an entertaining guilty pleasure.
@Mario: Too many reboots upcoming, will wait for the dvds instead. I want to explore more of manchester by the sea's director's work. I also want to finally get more into Bela Tarr's stuff.
@Mario: I was rather shocked by A Ma souer/fat girls final act. Scenes with the Italian in the bedroom were initially creepy.
@Kaiser: it's a nice review Kaiser, a bit jealous with you that you've seen those 3 films which are touted as the best films of 2016. Also Fat Girl, haha, I love that movie.
Poor yotaro =< you have so much stuff going down on you =<
HelghastKillzone
Youjo Senki episode was so good today. That revamped scene with God just fitted so right.
A official release of that game in the west is apparently coming but it's been a few years and not much news about it.
@Aidan: Ah yes that was the one.
@Kaiser, Had to think for a moment on that one but I think I was talking about this. https://vndb.org/v3144
Now I'd hardly consider myself a studio trigger fan, but I watched the first witch academia episode there, it was actually kind of fun, got the same reaction from me as flipflappers did, that magical, special feeling.
@Mario: I also, of interest reviewed Kenneth Lonegrans new film: http://letterboxd.com/shao_liu_ringon/film/manchester-by-the-sea/
@Mario: Moonlight got some feels out of me though it could of been more, it ends abruptly and with 20 extra minutes they could have spent a bit more time on each section of his life.
@Mario: I checked out lala land, ending was very well executed, one of three scenes in the film that were impressive visually. The whole thing looked pretty and Gosling and Stone had some decent chemistry. Although it didn't resonate emotionally as strongly as the musicals of Jacques Demi did.
MOM I want aiyoku no eustia and I want it now.
I've never heard of himawari or tokyo babel. The hellsing comparison at least interests me in dies irae. What was the name of that visual novel again that was coming out soon, Aidan you described it as "And Kaiser would love it because its supposed to be really fucked up".
I vaguely remember the anime for 11 eyes, it was very forgettable, even the voice acting was poor, hated the childhood friends and the pacing was poor, those black knight things were kind of interesting though.
@Aidan: You'll have to add me onto the list of those unsatisfied with the ever 17 writer, I read one of those games and felt it was a bunch of interesting bait that never paid off.
Anyway I plan on doing a review of 11eyes here when I finish it.
Can't say I was a fan of Ever17. That was a really good twist but when it came to explaining it their was a lot of contrived development. Generally not a fan of the writer. Looseboy, Ryukishi, Gen and Nasu are more my kinda thing
@Anon, it is nice that so many VNs are on steam but I wish they wouldn't be stupid with the whole no adult content thing. Not so much for myself but to prevent idiots from writing negitives reviews because the game doesn't have sex. VNs can grip you in a way anime simply can't and while they require pathence and time those can be some pretty powerful stories.
@Aidan, I am so happy steam's so VN-friendly now. I think it's a very good type of media. Like anime, it has nice visuals, music and some movement but also the inner monologue and text amount of books. It's the perfect combination. Plus, the routes, which are often puzzle pieces and PoVs you have to go through to understand the whole story. True routes like the one of Ever17 blew my mind.
Hopefully the two VNs I bought of steam turn out better. Tokyo Babel is supposed to be alright and I heard really good things about Himawari.
I am about a third of the way through the game and really not much of worth has happened. The concept is interesting but the execution is sorely lacking.
I went in expecting it to be a mixed bag and it's pretty below my expectations. It's just not really well written and the protagonist is a moron. THere isn't really routes and instead you are pretty much stuck with his childhood friend as the main love interest. Problem with that is her character begins and ends with loving the main.
@Aidan, damn. 11Eyes is on my reading list as well. Although I almost expected it to not be as good as I thought it'd be (back then). Guess I would have enjoyed it if I was able to read it while the (shitty) adaption aired, maybe I have seen/read too many series by now. Guess I'll still give it a try some day though.
@Anon, I haven't heard the OST or watched the intro video. I only know it be reputation and have decided to walk into it as blind as I can. Still slightly worried as I was somewhat looking forward to reading 11Eyes for a couple of years and now that I am reading it it's well...not good.
@Aidan, same here. I was waiting years for this, since I saw the intro video for the first time. Also, that OST!
HelghastKillzone
Youjo Senki is already leagues better than Izetta. It's going to be top anime of forever and ever. (maybe not)
And finally Dies Irae is funded. May actually be able to play and finish the game before the anime airs. If the hype is real behind this baby it could be a new personal favorite Visual Novel of mine. Already looking promising with it being like a cross between Hellsing and Fate/Stay Night. Two things I most certainly like.
@Masky, in regards to style over substance thats where im at with Gurrne Lagann.
Yeah, I'll probably watch the next episode to see whether it can redeem itself. Hopefully it can but considering 1st episodes usually get a lot of budget, there's some severe doubt in there.
I actually argee with character designs and voices are bad in regards to female characters. Still the next episode might change your mind if we get more into the main characters head.
It's boring
Also, it seems I disagree with a lot of people in thinking Youjo Senki will be a massive trainwreck. The character designs are awful, the voice acting is mismatched but most of all the premise just seems so very dumb. If I wanted to watch a badass kill people I'd go watch Hellsing or Drifters, because at least those don't have some op, disproportionate loli as the mc.
Gets even more complicated when you account for Satire and Parody. You could equally argue all examples listed as being as such.
Little Witch Academia is a decontruction of Harry Potter....I don't believe that but honestly if I tried I could put some reasoning behind that statement.
In the end, it always comes down to opinion (as with every discussion about anime, for some reason). You could spin any and every series as a "deconstruction", which is why people shy away from using the word. You could argue NGE, Madoka and Re:Zero are all deconstructions yet also argue Gundam, Precure and SAO are depending on what points you weigh more importantly.
Like, if deconstruction is supposed to be just "break the elements and then play story how it would realistically go down" well I haven't watched NGE, but as far as I know it does have stuff that isn't typical to mecha genre besides the "It would fuck up kids" thing plus "realistically how it would play out" is pretty subjective thing. I mean, its mainly about how cynical bastard the writer is :P
Like I said, I don't fully agree with it because I find video's speaker's attitude annoying, but I found it semi convincing. Main thing I don't find convincing about it is that I don't think its hard to turn video's own arguments agaisnt it and say that by its own logic NGE isn't deconstruction either, like Aidan just said earlier
And I don't really have energy for checking out the "correct" one. If there even is one. Anyway, the hipster video I was talking about was titled "What Actually Is A Deconstruction?" if you want to check it out.
Hmm, well, it does depend on definition you use. Like if you use "realistic" thing, well, Magical Girl shows don't usually have "You turn into monsters" thing going on and reason why NGE's pilots go crazy is from dangerous situations rather than evas making them do so. But honestly, I don't really have strong opinion on matter since word seems to be one of those with several different meaning
for me Madoka IS a deconstruction of Magical girl, and yeah like what Aidan said
I think part of Utena is a deconstruction of "prince riding horse and save the girl" because that notion is just a foundation for Utena to become a prince herself and save other girl. That's breaking it apart and resemble it again in its own way. Don't have to be dark/ don't have to be real either
@Masky, That's just debating semantics. Besides that difinition would pretty much mean that Neon Genesis Evangelion isn't a decontruction either. Madoka isn't a decontruction because it's dark. It's more in its aspects of criticising why a girl should throw her ordinary life away for something as dangerous as being a magical girl. It does take plenty of the typical tropes and turn them on its head
@Masky: Genre deconstruction is such a tricky word that I normally try to avoid using because there's really no set characteristic about the term and different people have different opinions about what constitute "deconstruction". For me, I disagree that deconstruction have to be dark and real, hmm can't say it well but I will give you an example:
But yeah, I guess I could try to find the video if you guys are interested, though like I said, I got hipsterish feel from the video and felt rather annoyed through it even though I did get what the point was and found it sort of convincing besides my annoyance
(not that liking NGE is hipsterish, its just that I find NGE to be more style than substance sort of series <_< Anyway, guy didn't dislike madoka or anything, he just seemed to dislike people using word deconstruction wrong in his opinion)
(especially with how much they seemed to praise Neon Genesis Evangelion)
I mean, I think the guy was being somewhat hipsterish, but its true the being darker take on genre isn't same as deconstructing the genre
@AidanAK47: Some other guy on youtube did video that had actually pretty good point about how Madoka isn't really deconstruction, if you go by definition of "Break it down to parts and then play them straight to show how horrifying it would be in real life"
Gente - Ristorante no Hitobito
If anything its the hate I have for certain characters that makes it more effective.
The obsessional level of attachment is just uncomfortable to me, I don't want to get THAT attached to a non-real character.
Its literally just a case of "Okay lets look at this picture of this character, she looks interesting, no feelings or expression from me, apply this fetish, fap, get release, go home. "
Or drooling/dribbling/heavy breathing/grinning over the characters. I abhor alot of the anime girls I find attractive or am indifferent, even when looking at ecchi/hentai drawings I'm straight and clinical with it.
I mean to each their own. But I really hate the level of emotion/devotion to moe/finding the characters attractive. Such as celebrating their birthdays, going on about how cute/hot they are, how important it is that they're virgins. Or not being being self-aware of how irritating the characters are.
Anime hipster is pretty accurate. His general treatment of the current state of anime is annoying, as is his obsession with moe. Maybe its cause I cant stand moe most of the time, but it bugs me.
@Lenlo: Essentially my brothers view on digibro.
@Aidan: I don't usually feel the need to correct errors in your reviews as the errors are generally un-important, but I think you meant to say apprentices rather than appearences in the Rakugo review, just bringing that up as it felt like kind of a throw off.
Which is kinda like saying Madoka wasn't a magical girl deconstruction because Sailor Moon and Nanoha had dark elements too.
Went and read the reddit comments on it and seems I was right on the money.
@Lenlo, He's basically a anime hipster. For example, I saw a thumbnail of his which had Saitama on it and below it "Is There Meaning In "Subverting" Shounen Tropes?" and I thought "Okay, he's going to go on about how OPM isn't subversive and then list a bunch of arbitrary examples in an attempt to redefine what is actually subversive"
I have lots of issues with Digibro. Dude has some good points, but other very horrible ones. Some issues he feels strongly about and gets kinda biased on imo.
acca looks visually interesting, and I personally really dig this kind of show, but it seems that it's definitely not for everyone
Time to live up to my word. Four posts incoming.
Man, Little witch Academia was so good. I disagree with the whole Digibro thing about being able to recognise a great show in it's first episode but watching this makes me think that this really is going to be something special.
Alright, gonna put in effort today and have 3 or 4 first impressions posts done. That should knock out near half the season.
Had a flip through handshakers. Garish is the word I'd use to describe it visually, it takes you out of the show.
ASuperMario From the first minute I can already tell it's by the same people that made K. Those colour filters and the extremely jarring/obvious city CGI is unmistakable.
Hand Shakers, literally makes my hands shaking. It's an abosolute mess. Highly recommended to check it out because it's so terrible it's great to watch
Vonter212
Yeah, and it's also a literal woman in refrigerator plot device, since that the thing that pushes the story forward.
I'd say that having to hide your sister's body in fridge would count as daaaaaaark and edgy, but when the body is wearing only underwear, and for some reason main character put metal things in fridge to keep body standing(I guess to not knock fridge open from inside?) I think it goes to "exploitation" you are talking about
Vonter212
@Masky - Did someone said doing dark things for drama? That's the bread and butter to get despair. Unless it's for the sake of perversion. Then it's just exploitation.
@Masky: His other works dead tube and scumbag go further in the unhinged regard.
*relies on easy "let's do [x dark thing] for drama!" thing
Geez, Mayonaka no X Giten is fricking disturbing/disgusting ._. I'm pretty sure that writing relies on e, but I can't help but think mangaka is trying to make corpses sexy.
I found Onihei to be quite good, actually one of the most solid new episode I watched this new season. Guys, check them out
I just hope it doesn't fall into the same misstep Kabaneri or Inuyasha or Bleach fall by making a villain so over the top that it crossed the line of not having a satisfying downfall.
@Vonter I think they just moved on. I lost interest rather quickly and I guess even the fans did that at some point, like with some other long-running series. There is much more new and more direct "fujo" stuff out there, many of them probably switched. Don't know what happens in the manga but maybe the story got worse or contained things some people didn't like.
January will be loli dictator month (for me) :p. World Conquest Zvezda Plot, Youjo Senki: Saga of Tanya the Evil (new), Seraph of the End. For some reason I stumble into three curious series with little power hungry girls. If I can ask, why did Owari Seraph's hype died, I remember back it was mentioned more often. It still has the fujoshi fanart but still, I don't see people bringing it up.
@CATski: well, if you didn't like its first 3 episodes I dont think the rest gonna change your mind. Have you finished Erased then? How did you like it?
But I understand it's difficult to speak in front of camera, get some time to get used to it
@kaiser: I won't commend on poem as I'm terrible at it myself but younneed to work more on presentation Kaiser. Small little things like looking directly at the camera or say "thanks for listening" in the end can connect you to the audience better
Ok. I'll give the thing another chance. *clicks torrent* XD. CATski.
@Topgavin: You might like centaur no nanami if you like demi-chan.
Damn...repeated myself =<
There are these things called slam sessions done in bars where people get up and read out stuff in front of a crowd and read stuff out. Actually watching rakugo made me think about practicing for that kind of thing.
@Mario: the video I did was of me reading out a short piece of writing I did, a poem. lol I uploaded it to the wrong youtube account too I just realized =P
[link src="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypBZ2hBDBYs&t=11s
I"] was recording this from my mothers laptops inbuilt cam while reading off my desktop.
@Kaiser: I think it's a good idea for you to try out reviewing movies/stuffs in youtube channel. I'll be very interesting to listen to them

Scum’s Wish – 02 [I’m here for that warmth]

Welcome to the roller coaster of the emotional manipulative anime of this season, are you with me on this ride? Scum’s Wish has the exact opposite issues with ACCA in that it tries to overwhelm us with lots of raw feelings that sometime it touches the line of manipulation. This episode, fortunately, still pretty much […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. – 02 [The Partner in Crime’s Name is Nino]

I admit that although I think ACCA is one the most solid show this season and I in particular like how they set up the settings and the events to come, the first two episodes didn’t grab me that much personally. As a result, in prepare for this post, I went ahead and watching them […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 15

It was inevitable that Yotaro’s past with the Yakuza would come back to haunt him but boy did it really bite him in the ass. I was wondering as to how the show would work with Yotaro and give him conflict but then this episode comes along and gives him plenty to worry about. He’s […]

Little Witch Academia – 02[Pappiliodya]

I may regret choosing to cover this series as what makes it great is a quality that cannot really be held up to professional scrutiny. Much like Triggers other works, it’s not what’s being presented that matter but rather how it’s presented. You can make the argument that Trigger doesn’t necessarily innovative but rather take […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 13 [Black River (part 2) – Beyond the Door]

This week we have 2 disjoined chapters, which are different in tones and more importantly in their point of view. We go through the first section from Smith-san perspective detailing his own thoughts towards the match against Gotou, and the latter part Rei took the stage, being on his way to challenge Gotou in next […]

Saga of Tanya the Evil – 02[Prologue]

As I initially thought, this series becomes a whole lot better when you can see the disparity between the main protagonists thoughts and how those around her view them. The first episode jumped ahead in the story to where Tanya had established herself somewhat and I believe the intent was to mislead the audience with […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2, Chaos;Child, Marginal#4 KISS Kara Tsukuru Big Bang and Scums Wish

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2 Short Synopsis: Kazama stands trial after accidentally blowing up a lord’s manor while saving the town. This show certainly hasn’t lost it’s charm. I had the biggest smile on my face while watching and it even managed to get me laughing out loud at points. I will admit […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Onihei, Gabriel DropOut and ACCA – 13-ku Kansatsu-ka

Onihei Short Synopsis: A captured thief joins the police to hunt down his old leader. For a studio’s first work this is quite a solid offering. The beginning reminded me of samurai champloo though this seems more a traditional samurai story. Animation isn’t anything too impressive but it does the job and there is some […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Hand Shakers, Kemono Friends and Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon

Hand Shakers Short Synopsis: A boy holds the hand of a girl he finds in a hospital room and ends up in a supernatural battle to the death. GoHands, you know what would be great? If you know, instead of slapping on lens flares and colour filters all over the place, you just don’t do […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100