Posted by psgels on 27 November 2008 with categories: Casshern Sins

Short Synopsis: Casshern arrives at a robot graveyard.
Highlights: Nico was awesome.
Overall Enjoyment Value: 9/10 (Fantastic)
Oh my god. This was without a doubt the best episode of Casshern Sins yet, and with such a series, that really has to say something. I can’t believe how easy these writers make it seem to just create such wonderful stories, episode after episode. This episode not only evolved the storyline, but it also created one of the most awesome characters of the series: Nico.

There were lots of different characters with prominent roles in this episode, and it was much, much more than just another episode of Casshern the “chick magnet”. Nico was kind to everyone she ran into, not just Casshern. The most notable of this was of course the male robot (there really needs to be some sort of general term for them): finally one of them gets a bit of depth, and the results are wonderful. As a robot, he doesn’t feel pain like normal humans, so if he loses a bunch of limbs, all he can just do is sit at one place and wait for the destruction to kill him completely. He’s also the first of his kind to see that Dio was wrong, and have a change of heart.

Of course, I could write pages about how incredibly awesome this episode was, but you really need to see it for yourself. At this point, the creators have really established themselves as masterful storywriters, who really try to make the best out of each of their episodes and take nothing for granted. I’m really glad to have given this series a second chance after its lacklustre first episode and decided to blog this.

1. indr008 says:

and there are people out there who chose to watch meaningless fanservice shows rather than this…..seriously, this show has even overcome my fanboyism over Gundam 00 and thus makes me able to say Casshern sin is of a better show than Gundam 00

2. choco says:

Ringo and Nico = cutest things that ever existed

3. Haven’t seen it yet as the Casshern Sins page of zomganime has been down, but your comments kinda make me proud that I’ve been a fan of this series and even decided to start my own blog about it (albeit a mere few aspects of it). I now feel sorry for those jerks who completely trashed the show after watching just the first or the first two episodes. They don’t know what they’ve been missing, and should they even reconsider now or later, it could only be pathetic as hell.

4. Solaris says:

Well, i was waiting for this show. The mood and atmosphere is fantastic, but there’s someting yet missing.
    I’m not happy about Kyashan right now. It seems to me it’s progressing far too slowly.

And by the way, what’s with that chick magnet? It ruins all the pahots.

5. Cylph says:

I am really impressed by the story and the animation (depth is so rare too!) and I don’t know what it was based off of was like this or what? BTW Ojisan is now Boulden apparently.

6. Solaris says:

Cylph, the old (very old indeed) serie was far more deep than this emo haremish opera.
    Don’t count in the fucking awful movie though. It wasn’t anything like Casshern ought to be

7. TCoFA says:

Picked up the series and I must say. I am amused. Even so, the falling-on-knees-and-screaming parts aren’t really my thing and everyone important he seems to meet, with two exceptions, is female.

That said. I share your opinion on Nico.

8. Fabienne says:

Oh,theres someone who blogs Casshern Sins,thats nice ; )

This anime really got style,with this thick atmosphere and the way the story is told,its very enjoyable.

In this Episode I was surprised that that a big bad Mecha even could be nice to others.
    In the other episodes the big bad Mechas were always stupid hooligans.

9. I finally got to watching this episode. You know me; if there’s a Casshern-x-Lyuze element to the episode, I automatically like it and I’d say it’s awesome. But that wasn’t really the case with this episode.

There’s surely have been more development between the two characters here than any other episode (Casshern calls Lyuze by her name now, they talk and hang out like they’re friends or something, and they are now shown facing in the same direction), and I don’t know if it was just my bad mood at the time of watching, but there’s something about the progression of the scenes and story that’s rather “jerky”. It feels like everything’s going a bit too fast, and things are happening a little too abruptly.

I’ve actually been waiting for an episode “with flowers”. I’m thinking, Casshern would pick a flower or a bunch of ’em (a blue rose perhaps?) and give them to Lyuze as a peace offering *slash* “token-of-affection”. Well, this episode has a lot of flowers in it, but I guess that is just too much to ask for. On the other hand, this episode shows that Lyuze is not indifferent towards flowers and I hope Casshern somehow picked that up. If he was able to just know Lyuze’s name without anyone telling him, there’s no reason for him not to.

Another thing I’ve noted in this episode is how the people behind it seemed to have highlighted the contrast between Casshern’s sensitivity and Lyuze’s roughness. I’m talking of course with the way they treated Nico. So basically, the the lead couple of this series (if I may call them that this early), is a sensitve, emo-but-not-a-pansy-by-all-means guy, and, a tomboy who-hasn’t-lost-touch-with-her-femininity. Exactly my kind of couple: a guy I can relate to, and a chick who’s just my type. Another reason for me to like this show.

10. Solaris says:

CasshernXLyuze what “flowers” did you smoke? I want some too o.O”

It shows you kids never watched the old classic :S

11. @ Solaris:

I’m straightedge, I don’t do shit like that. And I’m not a kid.

I am aware of the original Casshern, but I haven’t watched it. I also saw that 90s Casshern and I don’t remember liking it. Do I have to? I mean, to enjoy this series, I have to have watched the original?

The problem with people like you is that you have trouble accepting more recent titles in a franchise as independent of the original and later predecessors. I think it has already been pointed out that the storyline of Casshern Sins has nothing to do with the original series. Even if no one did, it should be obvious for someone of your supposed experience and intellect.

It shows how you think you already know a lot, and how quick you are to pass judgment without a decent amount of basis. And yeah, keep your garbage to yourself.

12. Solaris says:

Eheh don’t be mad at me, cause i was joking with your flowers back then :) Just make a big laugh and go on, k? ;)

The 90’s OAV was a very quick summary of the older serie. It wasn’t that bad, but lacked a lot of introspection. Anyway the basic plot was still there.

Let me introduce you the real Casshern and the contact points between old and new series.

Short summary. Dr Azuma build a new serie of AI with the purpouse of solving the greates issue of pollution. But the AI disfunctioned and become “alive”. The new generated Braiking interpreted the task Dr Azuma gave them by literally removing the main agent of world pollution, that is, ironically mankind. Braiking build an army of robots and declared war to humanity.
    Dr Azuma, from savior of the world was addressed as the Fool Scientist that ruined the world.
    Dr Azuma tried to find a solution and developed a new kind of cyborg to defeat Braiking’s army.
    The new project is revolutionary: a biological mix of robot and living form, moved by solar energy. It combined the strenght of the robot and intellect of humans. But a sacrifice is necessary to operate it: someone must give out his humanity and become that monster.
    The first experiment on a living creature was successful: Tetsuya’s pet Friender was turned into a multi task robot. It can change to an airplane and other kind of veicles at command. It also equipped a firethrower in the mouth.
    But Braiking came aware of Dr Azuma’s plans and prepared to strike.
    On a dreadful night, Braiking attacked the lab. Tetusya, Dr Azuma’s only child, decided to be the sacrifice for Casshern birth. Aware of loosing its own humanity he takes farewell from his family and his love, Luna and went inside the machine. Tetsuya’s body was disintegrated and fused with Casshern’s mechanical skeleton.
    An horrible view awaits newborn Cashern the subsequent day: The lab is destroyed, his parents are missing. He gets friender and begins his quest. Some time later he also find Luna. That is another beautiful story, but i’ll leave that for now.

Given this prologue, there’s much more plot in the first serie than in the new one, right? But that’s not all… [continues]

13. Solaris says:

Casshern now is neither a human nor a robot. He’s an halfbreed from both races at war. Nonetheless his appearence is still human and he pretends to be one. But he knows he’s not and fears to be rejectd from mankind in the first place. He fights robots but what to do if humanity that he loves so much, would turn against him knowing the truth?
    Luckily enough nobody noticed the superhuman strenght and agility, and Casshern quickly becomes a new symbol of hope. He’s the new saviour people relies on. By now, cause Braiking will eventually find out the truth and would use that info against Casshern.
    The only ally of Casshern is her: Luna. At the start of the story Casshern resused Luna. Being no more human he feel sorry not to be the man she loved anymore. But Luna still loved him and would never say farewell to him.
    Casshern is aware that the robotic body is slowly taking over of himself and he’s loosing his mind. Whenever that will happen nobody knows what it will be of him. Cassher will turn in am emotionless fighting machine and Testya will eventually fade away.

[continues]

14. This is the very connection to the new serie. Hundreds of centuries in the future, Casshern has (supposedly) ommitted the greatest sin, killed Luna and his own humanty is now lost. This new serie is a journey backway to humanity for Casshern.

Where did you get this? I got the part that Luna was “summoned”… does this mean she time-travelled to the future or something?

This is what’s currently in the Wikipedia article:
    The series has been remade, completely discarding the continuity presented in the original Neo-Human Casshern anime series, in which Casshern was a cybernetic superhero battling the evil robotic forces of Braiking Boss in a post-apocalyptic Earth. Instead, in Casshern Sins, Casshern is presented as a cyborg subordinate of Braiking Boss who was ordered to assassinate the savior of mankind, and has thus doomed the Earth to ruin.

Of course, in no way am I saying that you’re wrong and whoever wrote that part of the article is right. I’m just sharing the information.

Honestly, I’m just in this for the “Lyuze” and the “Casshern-x-Lyuze” sides of it. I don’t really care about everything else. Some people probably have negative things to say about that, but so what? That’s what I like about this series.

15. Solaris says:

Remember that wiki is written by people and can be wrong. Sure the director changed something, but the only difference with respect to the old serie looks Casshern being subordinate to Braiking. We don’t know what really happened in the fictional time line as there’s a huge gap between the old and the new story. I can tell you how it finished and you know how it restarted. Then you can do your calculations. Mine is a nice teory after all.

Btw, let me continue the essay from above.
    So, themes such as pollution, racism, lost humanity, war and sacrifice were themes of the wise old Casshern. Now we have a very nice mood and atmosphere about a dead world and the few living and robotic beings that still live there. The manin theme here is just Casshern doing his journey in search of his lost humanity and love. Luna, the wonderful character lost from the first serie is now a symbol of hope and redemption. You see what a change in 30 yeasr of Casshern.
    Casshern was once the main actor in the war between Humans and Robots. Now all the story centers around him.
    But the old Casshern was a char eternally struggling in the fight for an higher mission, that was to take remedy of the mistakes of the past and to save the future.
    Today Casshern has no aim, no mission. He just wanders off in search of something missing, but finds only the ruin of a lost forgotten world, and its insane inhabitants, old remaning of the robot who took the world over humans.

16. psgels psgels says:

I think that the major theme in the new series is a bit more than just watching Casshern wander around. It’s also about how people and robots choose to live, knowing that they’re going to be destroyed anyway, which is one of the main reasons why I’m so interested in this series.

Also, at the end of this particular episode, Casshern most definitely gives himself a clear mission: if he was the one who caused the destruction, then he’s going to be the one to stop it.

17. Solaris says:

Yes, Psgels, you are right, but it happened in the last episode. Yet there were nine long episode worth of wandering for Casshern to decide to move on…

That’s why i said elsewere the serie is progressing far too slowly. The “short summary” i wrote down before is only one episode and it has more plot than nine episodes of the new serie!

So, if i’d to give out marks (non tech stuff):
    Environment and mood: 10
    Char development: 8
    Plot: 2

18. About Luna being there centuries later, sure you heard hints in the last episodes about Luna possibly being alive and immortal, didn’t you?

Let me ask you this then; why is it that Luna (here in Casshern Sins) had to ask who the intruder is? If she knew Casshern from back then, that won’t be necessary, and she’d probably be a lot more emotional than that. And is the Luna in the original series also “immortal”?

But we could argue and question all we want. The best thing to do, in my opinion, is to just wait for the rest of the series to unfold.

That’s because the “old Casshern” was intended to be a superhero. This Casshern, while still saving people and fighting bad guys, obviously wasn’t. Even if he were, I’m still not seeing it.

I agree on slow part. If you’ve seen an older comment of mine, I said that 12-13 eps. is just right for this series. Then it became clear that this is gonna go up to the 24-26 range through the use of “fillers”. But I learned to just deal with it, sit back, and enjoy it.

Was the original series that “unresolved” for you to want this series to pick up where it left off or be an improved version of it?

19. Solaris says:

Luna was human. Her weapon was a magnetic gun that destroyed robots but was harmless to humans. She was completely different in the old serie. That’s a real pity cause i liked very much that character of hers.

In this serie the two seem to be complete strangers. Well much time has passed in the timeline anything could have happened, such as memory loss. Most likely in the eventuality of Luna being turned into a cyborg too.

As a matter of fact, this is a new serie. It’s normal that there are differences and given the time gap, i demand for explanations that the serie didn’t yet provide me, being over 1/3 of the planned airtime.

As a matter of fact the two series are very different, but the’t what we’d expect after 30 years gap between the two ;) Anime has changed and also the public has changed.
    We an also skip on some discordances in the happenings for the sake of the new plot continuity.

Last note: Casshern is still a superhero. He just forgot it. With some luck the plot will start moving soon and we well have all the answers we derserve.

Super last note: I really hope for your sake that Luna will be dead or something unless there’ll never be place for Casshern X Lyuze, Sopithia, Nico or whatever else chick ;)

20. Eldar says:

Solaris, some of us have seen the original Casshan anime (thank you youtube) and I can frankly say that it doesn’t even approach the current incarnation in terms of quality of animation or writing.

21. Cassh says:

How about we all just get along..
    Love this episode. Thanks for the blog.

22. What’s with my tentative of explanation that bother you so much CxL? I thought about it and tried to join the old with the new in the most logical way.

It’s not the same storyline.

Look, we could argue about this endlessly and that would just be a waste of time. So I say, let’s just keep watching the series and see if it turns out as you say (a continuation of the original), or not (a completely different storyline).

The series hasn’t even reached half its intended number of episodes (I hope they don’t cancel it), so expect more “delays”.

If Casshern’s “still” a superhero in this series, I don’t recall a single line in the dialogue that supports the idea. What he forgot was everything prior to his reawakening, which of course revolves around the act of tracking down and killing Luna. And so far, I haven’t seen any indication of him being a superhero during that time or prior to it. In addition, if he was even considered a “good guy”, he could have simply walked up to Luna and not have to be confronted by Lyuze’s sister. And considering his superiority as a fighting machine, he could have even been the one charged of protecting Luna.

Take a hint from the opening, the list of seiyuu in the ending, and the list of characters in the official website. They obviously intended Lyuze to be the “hero’s girl” of the show. I don’t know why they decided not to put Luna in that role, and instead come up with a new character for it, but I like the end result.

And you don’t have to hope that. I know “Casshern-x-Lyuze” is gonna happen regardless of what state Luna is in. Believe it!

23. Solaris says:

Eldar, do you watch anime on youtube and yet argue about quality?
    Nontheless it’s quite obvious that a 30 years old anime looks “quite much outdated” in comparison to a modern one. But about the plot, please, don’t even bother telling its writing was worse cause it’s absolutely not true.

CxL let’s see what it will happen. Of course we’ll write our own final notes at last when the anime will be finished.

24. GGear0323 says:

anyway, the writing is excellent in this series, even if 90% percent of the time it has nothing to do with the plot and more to do with the atmosphere. just because the plot is slow moving doesnt mean the writing is bad at all.
    i mean the plot is simple enough, Casshern is told he caused the ruin by killing Luna and so he wants to find a way to somehow help the world or stop the ruin altogether. while we dont really have established villains (Dio being an antagonist and all but he also wants to end the ruin, and Braiking Boss just wandering around himself) the series as a whole has been wonderful so far and i cannot stop watching it.

so far, most of the deepness in the writing pertains to how they portray the robots trying to live in such a world that in effect they also helped create, and in that aspect, this show is VERY deep and moving.

on the casshern side, we dont really feel his pain because even though he has been told he caused all this, he still doesnt remember anything and just takes everyone’s word for it. when we start to delve into his side of things a little deeper, i suspect the writers will do just as fantastic a job as they have been doing so far.

25. while i am pretty sure that this series has nothing to do with the original, there are always ways to somehow connect them if you want.

Thank you.

I don’t think it’s just “taking everyone’s word for it”. He saw for himself the kind of destruction he’s capable of (late episode 02 – early episode 03), albeit when not in control himself. And that seemed enough to convince him that the accusations he just one day woke up to are true. He doesn’t have any memory of his “sin”, but he acknowledges it as if he does.

26. wtf says:

man this episode made me tear up a bit at the end :'( Very powerful character. This episode reminds me a bit of Planetarian: Chiisana Hoshi no Yume (a little star’s dream). If you have not played that, YOU MUST!! It will make you really teary by the end (and its fully translated =))!! Very powerful. You could probably torrent it by a cursory search of google. Fairly short, about 2 or 3 hours if i remember correctly.

27. the op of kurozuka is weird says:

this series is boring. . .

Just finished Rage of Bahamut and I have to say I didn't expect an emotional climax. Also Rita is the best in show here. But really I don't see the prospect of sequel, especially a 24-episodes one.
Evidently so. That still feels just wrong. He's sort of her father. Ehhhh
"I am a slave to my own blood" -Konatsu.
Aldnoah needed actually interesting characters and character arcs instead of boring assholes. Why does it need more time on the lore when it's just generic scifi jib
One minor thing that baffled me beside *that* in Rakugo was they don't show Konatsu's rakugo in the end. It makes more sense if we can see her perform, but I understand that the show have to put new rakugo material and that was impposible.
@Aidan: I think *that twist* is sweet (not). Points for the show for having a balls to address that, but...
And that's Rakugo finished. A delayed finale but non the less a satisfying one....Though on the matter of *that* I am going full head canon and pretending it didn't happen. Because HELL FUCKING NO.
HelghastKillzone
Troyca's Aldnoah.Zero was 24 eps long but it really needed 50 to flesh out concepts and lore.
HelghastKillzone
*Virgin Soul
HelghastKillzone
Apparently, Virgin is going to be 24 episodes and Re:creators is 22 eps long. I don't know how to feel about that.
Catching up with Rage of Bahamoth myself. Say I really enjoy what I see so far. Characters are its weakest part and pacing is uneven, but everything else work quite well
... Feherlofia is Hungarian one. But I have a really fond feeling towards Soviet and those ex-communist animation. Movies as well
@Kaiser: yep, know both of them. Actually
@Topgavin: wuah your love with Madoka. I was like watching that show for 3 times, but Rebellion just once. I still think that Rebellion adds up to the series narratively. Shaft (be themselves) put a lots of extra background details to the Bluray version, so I'm sure you can't go wrong watching Madoka on Bluray.
Guess I'm just in the mood for some comfycore anime. =)
There's really stuff I need to get round to watching like alderman and chain chronicle, giving utawerumono's s2 another chance, watching those dumb old golgo ovas, catching up on Shamo and city hunter where I left off.
@Mario: If you are looking for something to review for the world animation project, I recommend Fehérlófia , a Soviet era psychadelic folktale animation. Also look into the available short animations by Alexander Petrov (he uses a style of animation which mixes oil painting on glass).
Konstantinos Travlos
Finished watching Chain Chronicle :Light of Hacchetias (TV version). While not something to write home about it was not bad. It did a tried old recipe well.
@SuperMario, we dont have to, but its fun to try and pinpoint the real-world timeline to the shows timeline.

@Topgavin, oh yeah. Madoka is amazing.
Just finished watching the Madoka Magica series, 4th rewatch but 1st time on blurays. The show is such a work of art, and I was surprised by the sheer quality of the backgrounds in the blurays. It looked 3x as expensive to make as the normal show, Shaft must've poured a lot of money into post-screening editing.
They are all just average shows to be honest, but at least they're deserved to have full reviews.
and just an update for readers, I intend to give full reviews on shows that I followed but haven't covered here, starting from this seasons. The verdicts are: Seiren, Demi-chan, Dragon Maid and Hand Shakers
Do we really need to know all the historical context to enjoy/ appreciate Tanya? I think making a comparison does have influence in your expectation of the show in later events.
But this is all from wiki articles, since the last time I actually studied WW1 & 2 was in highschool. So im alittle rough on the subject :P
I thought, time-wise, we were past WW1, but this was in reference to how Germany at the end of WW1 was defeated, but not destroyed, which allowed them to rebuild enough to start WW2. You know, that famous quote "This is not peace, this is an Armstice for 20 years".

Thought it was a reversal of that.
@Mario: Just one more note on silent voice, only one of those three omitted subplots I felt worth taking issue with, they leave out a couple scenes that flesh out Shoko's mother more.
@Helgast, while that fairly obviously hinted at, don't spoil future events.
HelghastKillzone
@Lenlo We are way past the stalemate of WW1 and onto this anime's interpretation of the Battle of Dunkirk. Season Two is gonna be fighting against the Brits, Americans, the French Resistance and the Soviets.
I did some reading up, since WW1 & 2 arnt the points in history im really into, and I get her anger now. If they get a second season, possible time skip to WW2 because of it?

The episode was great btw, she just seemed to come out relatively unscathed for what she went through
@Lenlo, It annoyed me that she got injured but then magically healed within the next scene but otherwise I loved the episode. It may be difficult to grasp in the show but if you know your history then you would realise just why Tanya was so bent out of shape. In truth this was Tanya's first major loss. One that renders her previous victories utterly worthless.
@Anon, Your gonna have to elaborate on that "Most." When it comes to the three shows I was covering this season I thought I was praising them quite a bit. Only thing really bothering me is Rakugo stretching out it's ending. Otherwise this is one of the best seasons of anime I have seen in quite a while.
Hell yeahh, OwariMonogatari will air next Summer season. I'm hyped. Thank you Shaft
But it's good to hear your opinions on that. Like you said, honest opinion is good so I hope to hear more from reader's comments
@Anon958618: We writers are here to give you readers our personal impressions, and of course if we don't like a show we'd give the reasons why we don't like it, we can't really say otherwise if we found an episode to be sub-par. Personally, I have nothing but praise on my posts to the point I think I have to be stricter :)
I used to like reading this blog, but I find that most of the posts now are overly negative. Although I think honest opinion is good, it's a bit of a turn off in my opinion for readers...
Its nice to see everyone grown up in Rakugo. Old Yotaro and Konatsu. Also, how in the heck is Matsuda stil alive. That man was old when Yakumo was young. Finally, people need to stop telling that story if its gonna haunt everyone, I mean jeez.
It's Tanya for me next ^^
It ends happily. But go and see the twist. They make it like the most natural thing of all
Watchin Rakugo next. It end well?
Tanya disappointed me alittle. There was a change to actually hurt Tanya, but nope, she still comes out of it unharmed. She hurt herself more when she blew herself up than when someone else blew her up. Least shes seemingly drunk on war.
so sad to see Rakugo end... And that little twist. How can they make that twist so poetic?
@Lenlo: me & Kaiser? We were talking about the movie Koe to Katachi/ A Silent Voice
I must have missed something, because I have no idea idea what is being talked about.
@Kaiser: I purposely put off the manga so I could watch the movie with fresh perspective. 2 weeks until we have a screening here
@kaiser: woah, thanks Kaiser. I know packaging a 6-volume manga into a feature film means they have to cut quite a lot of subplots, I just hope the main plot is going to be rewarding
Actually, there aren't that many manga that portray disabled characters, not even hentai.
@Mario: One of the people I got talking to after the film talked about Clannad and we both laughed about "what if Lars van Trier worked at Key"
Rakugo you are now on hold again until you end.
@Mario: I look forward to your review of it.
@Mario: There were, because I talked to the audience afterwards and looked around, people who weren’t familiar with anime there, so it does have a wider appeal.
While cheesy/melodramatic obviously its nonetheless heartfelt and well executed.
The voice actress for Shoko is required to well, I can only call it deaf-voice-talk and she pulls it off quite well, it’s never cringy or forced.
Comparatively to other anime dealing at any point with bullying this does fare better and because it’s animated by kyoani, visually it’ll catch interest. The protaganists regret and redemption story still remains a very watchable one/theme.
@Mario: Putting a voice on Kawai and Ueno will make you rage at them more.
While I didn’t think it was too bad/overly used, you’re going to have to do with the maudlin piano score Kyoani gives it.
@Mario: At 130 minutes it’s a little lengthy, especially for an anime film, there is the feeling of attempting to stuff in the manga, three subplots at least have been removed/shortened yet at the same time despite the skipping in parts it does still feel long/aimless. Based on that I did feel it flows better in manga format.
@Mario: @Mario: I just came home from seeing koe to katachi/silent voice. Can't really say enough to fill a review, but it gets the general 3 1/2 out of 5 from me.
Warning the next few posts contain words words words:
But I can take or leave Kaiju stuff.
Wheras Mothra was the most fun.
Aside from that, I've seen a few Godzilla films, Mothra vs Godzilla, shin Godzilla, Garth Edwards Godzilla, 90s American Godzilla and original 50s, the 90s one has aged horribly, the recent American one felt more faithful, the 50s one and the new Japanese one feel most socially relevent.
Wait...whah, why'd I get logged out I registered =<
I previously had no interest in a Godzilla Anime film. But after reading the concept here I am now very very interested: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-03-24/godzilla-anime-film-reveals-full-title-story-new-visual-november-premiere/.113863
@Kaiser: they are still around. And believe it or not the actual band members are Damon Albarn (former lead singer of Blur) taking care of all the music and Jamie Hewlett who taking of the animation. I love alternative music, I can enjoy hip-hop music and I'm a fan of animation => this band basically has everything I personally love
@Mario: Kaiser here, posting from public computer. I had no idea the gorillaz were still around, many years ago I would have listened to their Clint Eastwood song, aswell as dirty harry and feel good inc, I also remember the artstyle of their videos catching my attention.
Anyone here listen to Gorillaz? They're one of my favorite band and their new song Saturnz Barz is great. Excited for their coming album now
I guess I'm considering blood blockade also because I'm burnt out o demanding and old films to some extent.
@Kaiser: I really enjoyed the first season of Blockade. It's one of those cases where I think the delayed of the last episode killed all the exciment regarding the show. I actually fall behind and then catched up again as soon as the last episode was out so I enjoyed everything so much more
@Aidan: makes me really wonder why some of the studios are very uptight about their show's details. Like, they have to know if it is a short series or not, right.
Yet its not exactly a show that fits into being my thing.
Blood blockade battlefront is one of those shows that is always in the back of my head, despite negative biasI managed to at least enjoy some of gungrave, I grew up, sort of with trigun, so with blockade having Yuji Nightow involved theres always that part of me that says to watch blood blockade battlefront.
This is one of the annoying things about previews. You got o the trouble of looking it up and writing on it only for it to get delayed or turn out to be a short series.
ohh, Blood Blockade Battlefront moves back to October airing. I might have a chance to cover it after all. Though look at how it gets delay and the change of director, it yells more concerns than optimism
Yep, Manga is completed at 6 Volumes. But it's kinda weird that the series managed to cover 6 volumes when it's so slow paced. I normally thought that 5 to 6 episodes was needed to cover a manga volume on average.
@anon954341: ACCA will finish in 1 cour, as the manga is already completed and from what I heard episode 11 & 12 cover the last 5 chapters of the manga.
is Acca 13's story going to finish in 1 cour, or is it still ongoing?
Honestly do wonder how much longer anime blogging will be a thing and how much they have to compete with popular youtuber's channels.
I once had some idea of doing a forum with a friend, it never went anywhere.
Aidan gave good advice anon, I still found old posts from when I was teenager archived somewhere online and it made me facepalm.
Eh, I wanted to throw myself into Mario and your conversation about personalities by talking about myself, force of habit.
@Kaiser, Not sure what this rambling is about but good for you...I guess?
@Anon, Blogs take a lot of work for very little in return. I wouldn't try starting one unless you are ready to make a huge commitment. Besides at your age(Based on that comment) it would be best to not put too much on the internet. The internet never forgets and it can come back to haunt you later in life.
The reason I bring some of this up is because I think that even if someone isn't the most emotional person out there, they shouldn't ignore/bash on certain shows/genres because of that, even if you don't get feelings out of it, the story/drama/characters could still be worthwhile.
I do think getting pissed off though is much easier irl than doing it online where it doesn't bother me as much.
And it surprises me alot that I followed so many romance manga years ago, enjoyed them, but I've never been a romantic person irl at all.
I also hate incompetence/failure and am generally not especially patient.
I care about others and appearances mainly to extent it either is of benefit, if I have to or it avoids hassle.
People tend to think I'm cold, articulate, blunt irl too.
I'm not a sentimental or passionette/emotional person irl, I don't like wasting time with other peoples shit and don't bother with it, avoid looking at people or touching them physically, talk in long dry speeches and in general come off as a quiet, reserved but snarky/cynical person.
I probably unknowingly come off as different on this site than I would irl.
Honestly I'd veer towards depressing or surreal/strange/messed up work more out of just wanting to see weird and depressing stuff happen and little else, just interests me, I can't remember the last time I cried.
um i wanted to make my own blog but it wants a email but i dont want my parents finding out
It is weird how we never clash on what we want to cover on each season. Anyway I need someone to contrast my egotisical self so it's all good.
haha, Aidan: heartless grumpy monster & Mario: sentimental sappy bloke. Readers, you got yourself quite an odd combination of writers here.
Anonymous951955
We'll see; trailers can give false impressions
Anonymous951955
Not that all changes from source adaptations are terrible, but in this case, at least the trailer makes it look pretty bad.
Anonymous951955
It looks not great; I understand the need to change it a bit to suit the format/audience, but at what point does it turn from adaption to "loosely based on"?
HelghastKillzone
I'm glad we're past the phase of moe club shows.
@Helghast, now that's something I never thought I would hear.
HelghastKillzone
Hell ya. We are in a golden age of anime that is filled with options and quality.
What a great week! Iron Blooded Orphans, Onihei, Little Witch Academia and ACCA 13 all had great episodes! I am spoiled!
@Anon and @Aikan

The LoGH manga remake has been out. It did not work for me.

I hope he anime goes its own way. I do trust Production IG, so I hope. I think it might not be this year. No lgoic, just a hunch.
@Anon, Only info I can find is that it's coming out this year and it will be by Production IG. But I think you are right in that if it;s coming this year it will definitely be winter.
Feeling rather cautious about the remake myself. LoGH is dated visually but in a way it is a product of it's time and things you could forgive in the old version wouldn't be so forgivable in the new.
Does anybody know when that LoGH readaptation is coming? It's supposed to be this year right? Probably winter right?
But I will give it a full review anyways because all the amount of time I spent in that series should be paid off somehow, right?
But serious Gohands is a studio that had potential its just a shame its wasted on rubbish writers. Although I did like mardock scramble, because cyberpunk =)
If I met handshakers in public I'd refuse to shake its hand =D
Oh, it's actually just an extra Hand Shakers episode that serves as a prequel story. Not that bad then
Not to disregard Hand Shakers, but the best way to describe how I feel about that series is mind-numbing
They tried with that Military guy and his daughter but not by much.
But I do agree that there needs to be more to the characters, right now its JUST Tanya.
As for Tanya, having caught up with it, its a nice trashy guilty pleasure, especially due to the protagonist and I enjoy the setting because I'm a war film fan and like some of the action/politicking. I still do wish it was aesthetically a bit better. The dub isn't that bad and I'd welcome a second season.
In an ideal world Kino's journey would have been a good model for what light novel adaptations can be and SHOULD be.
If we must have more light novel adaptations, I would prefer them to be like Tanya, Muvluv, okay hardly breathtaking, but still better than that thing Aidan linked.
*Sigh* It looks exactly how I imagined it would and its terrible.
Please dont tell me thats an actual title.
In another world with my smart phone light novel to get an anime.

Oh my god...This literally sounds like a joke title you would see within an anime. Tried giving it an honest chance by reading it and it's just shit. Just pure terrible.
If people in Japan are actually buying blurays thinking its a good show then something is seriously wrong with the world.
@Topgavin, maybe too many people watched it because it was so terrible. I haven't watched past episode 1 but it doesn't sound like it improved.
Just incase you guys were avidly waiting for the announcement, Hand Shakers is getting a prequel season because it's apparently selling well......
Should be happy for it, though I'm a bit disappointed that I can't be able to cover it
Inside Mari gets live-action series adaptation. Why not anime?? Duh
Spike
Little Witch Academia finally tips it's hand on the overall plot! I'm pretty pleased and think some direction might help bump it up from just being 'good' overall.
HelghastKillzone
@KTravlos Still watching it week by week and I'll write up a review on the second season of Iron-Blooded when it ends.
@Mario: It is however the kind of anime film that would have the wide audience appeal though, as in anime for people who don't watch anime.
@Kaiser: just prove that people has paid attention to anime. That's an encouraging sign actually
Feck, silent voice was booked out when I got there just now....should have booked in advance, showing at 7:00 on Friday booking it now.
@KTravlos: I haven't, but that more because I'm not a big fan of Mecha genre. I believe one of our writer HelghastKillzone still follow the series
No idea, if you are all still watching MS Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans. I am, and while the 2nd Season toned down some of the elements that made the 1st Season good, it is still pretty good with the last episode doing a great job. If it keeps it, it definitely is head to head with Turn A Gundam for my favorite long-form Gundam Series (I am doing Gundam Origins for the original story)
Mhmm. It was one of those shows it weave adult themes into a kids show, so it had something for both. Now I can also appreciate the artstyle that doesnt use hard black outlines for everything.
If anything I get so much more out of Samurai Jack now than when I watched it as a kid.
Love that dude Aidan. And yes Kaiser, I think anyone get enjoy it now. I love that its back, but even without that its easily standing on its own
How much of this love of samurai jack is a nostalgia driven thing? I'm not knocking that nostalgia but would it be possible to get something out of the show now if I never watched it when I was younger?
Yeah, that conversation was great. Really shows you how messed up hes become. Its also amazing when you realize that was the last set of spoken dialogue in the episode. There was not a single word uttered in the second half.
The audience who enjoyed samurai Jack has grown up, them bringing up seppuku and blood is possibly a part of that.
Scene with the coffins was awesome as was the fight in the dark. My personal favorite part of the episode though was Jack arguing with his old design self. And young jack suggesting committing seppuku made my eyebrows raise. I mean..damn.
I agree Aidan. That quick shot of Jack vs the Daughter, with the sudden blood, suprised me as much as it did Jack. I really loved the scene with the coffins. The music nad sound was just great there.
@Lenlo, It was a really great episode. I love the meta of Jack being worn down by the wait and the wait the viewers had to endure for the new season. I is rather odd seeing blood in Samurai Jack though but it does make that particular moment have so much more impact.
April 16th for NZ. It is a lesser known movie than Kimi no na wa though, so I do wonder how available it's going to be in cinemas
This second episode of Jack was really just amazing. Its making full use of the new budget/tech for the art and of the new rating, along with the impact the timeskip would have on Jack. The cinematography was superb as well.
@Kaiser: Koe ko machi will creen in Aussie in the beginning of April as well. I'll go to watch it; but I would love to jear your thoughts on the movie.
There is a preview screening of koe to kachi on Monday night, depending I may go, I may review it or at least talk about it on here.
I'm dying waiting for the Blame! anime film adaptation to come out in May. I've wanted an adaptation for years.
And I'm too much of a cheap-ass to actually buy anything, don't even use legal streaming for films or anime/manga/comics, pirate almost everything.
Or shelves for that matter.
I've fallen out of the collectors thing pretty much entirely. I don't like to advertise any of my interests on my bedroom wall either.
Some years ago I ended up selling almost all of my anime dvds/vhs and manga, comic books aswell, took down my posters and moved what figures I had left into attic boxes , just no space for it and it was a good way to get some quick extra cash.
I love Rakugo as well, im not meaning to bad talk it at all. I simply also agree with Aiden that slow rolling us with Yakumo's death was poorly done and that its feeling stretched.
Nevermind, the $30 price tag made that decision for me
Weird how I see $8 movies on youtube as a ripoff yet a $90 series as a bargain. All these $300 box sets made me think it'd be in the hundreds. Wonder if I should get rebellion too

Scum’s Wish – 11 [A Kind God]

It’s strange, for a show that almost certainly make viewers furious one way or another, be it totally love it or hate it; I remain indifferent for last couple of episode. The thing is, I can’t ship this Akane – Narumi relationship, because I’ve witnessed this kind of relationship in real life before and it […]

Little Witch Academia – 11[Blue Moon]

I don’t mind the lighthearted shenanigans of Little Witch Academia but in my opinion it’s episodes like this that will truly make the show memorable. After ten episodes of mere hints as to the state of magic and it’s history we get a truckload of answers. Why is magic being considered antiquated? Because magic is […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 24

When I started this season of Rakugo I was under the impression that this would be Konatsu’s and Yotaro’s story seeing as Yakumo’s had reached it’s end. However to my dismay it appeared that halfway through the season Yakumo has hijacked the series. I previously stated that the story of Rakugo has already ended with […]

Saga of Tanya the Evil – 10[Path to Victory]

What am I to say when the majority of the episode is detailing a military operation? I admit that content has become spare in this series as of late and the Tanya vs God battle has more or less been pushed to the sideline. Tanya had one moment here where it looked like her mission […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. – 11 [Furawau’s Flowers Smell of Malice]

Really ACCA? Only one episode left and you’re still in set-up stage, with the coup is lingering in the air, but never comes in real form. In fact, ACCA is a series about setting up. Its deliberate pacing can really test the viewer’s’ patience, and I totally understand if most of you have fallen out […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 22 [New School Term – Fighter]

We get to an end of 3-gatsu run but it feels more like a new beginning. Like what I feared last week the last episode doesn’t really have a conclusive ending, instead offers us the new semester of Rei and his childhood and his shogi, which in all fairness are the weaker parts of 3-gatsu. […]

Scum’s Wish – 10 [Fragile and Empty]

This week the main spotlight is heading back to our beloved Akane and two of her relationships preys, Mugi and Narumi. Although I really like the way the show addresses each of those tainted relationships until finally we’d get to the bare bone of Mugi and Hanabi’s core relationship, this episode for me is just […]

Little Witch Academia – 10[Bee Commotion]

I remember seeing a remark someone made that Little Witch Academia would lose half it’s fanbase when the realize that they don’t like Saturday morning cartoons all that much. While most likely said in jest, I find there is a certain degree of truth in that statement. I did enjoy this episode of Little Witch […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 23

The extended epilogue continues as Yakumo returns home after the theatre burns down. Some are signifying the burning down of the theatre as the death of Rakugo while others are speaking of it as a new beginning. After all Rakugo can be performed anywhere as long as someone is willing to listen. The members of […]

Seiren (Winter 2017) Review – 51/100

Let me say this out front, Seiren is NOT a good show, it’s a highly uneven one. Throughout its run, I can see some solid moments and fresh ideas that could potentially raise it above the bar, but ultimately, view it as a whole, Seiren is a show that isn’t worth recommending. At first, I’m […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100