Posted by psgels on 27 November 2008 with categories: Casshern Sins

Short Synopsis: Casshern arrives at a robot graveyard.
Highlights: Nico was awesome.
Overall Enjoyment Value: 9/10 (Fantastic)
Oh my god. This was without a doubt the best episode of Casshern Sins yet, and with such a series, that really has to say something. I can’t believe how easy these writers make it seem to just create such wonderful stories, episode after episode. This episode not only evolved the storyline, but it also created one of the most awesome characters of the series: Nico.

There were lots of different characters with prominent roles in this episode, and it was much, much more than just another episode of Casshern the “chick magnet”. Nico was kind to everyone she ran into, not just Casshern. The most notable of this was of course the male robot (there really needs to be some sort of general term for them): finally one of them gets a bit of depth, and the results are wonderful. As a robot, he doesn’t feel pain like normal humans, so if he loses a bunch of limbs, all he can just do is sit at one place and wait for the destruction to kill him completely. He’s also the first of his kind to see that Dio was wrong, and have a change of heart.

Of course, I could write pages about how incredibly awesome this episode was, but you really need to see it for yourself. At this point, the creators have really established themselves as masterful storywriters, who really try to make the best out of each of their episodes and take nothing for granted. I’m really glad to have given this series a second chance after its lacklustre first episode and decided to blog this.

1. indr008 says:

and there are people out there who chose to watch meaningless fanservice shows rather than this…..seriously, this show has even overcome my fanboyism over Gundam 00 and thus makes me able to say Casshern sin is of a better show than Gundam 00

2. choco says:

Ringo and Nico = cutest things that ever existed

3. Haven’t seen it yet as the Casshern Sins page of zomganime has been down, but your comments kinda make me proud that I’ve been a fan of this series and even decided to start my own blog about it (albeit a mere few aspects of it). I now feel sorry for those jerks who completely trashed the show after watching just the first or the first two episodes. They don’t know what they’ve been missing, and should they even reconsider now or later, it could only be pathetic as hell.

4. Solaris says:

Well, i was waiting for this show. The mood and atmosphere is fantastic, but there’s someting yet missing.
    I’m not happy about Kyashan right now. It seems to me it’s progressing far too slowly.

And by the way, what’s with that chick magnet? It ruins all the pahots.

5. Cylph says:

I am really impressed by the story and the animation (depth is so rare too!) and I don’t know what it was based off of was like this or what? BTW Ojisan is now Boulden apparently.

6. Solaris says:

Cylph, the old (very old indeed) serie was far more deep than this emo haremish opera.
    Don’t count in the fucking awful movie though. It wasn’t anything like Casshern ought to be

7. TCoFA says:

Picked up the series and I must say. I am amused. Even so, the falling-on-knees-and-screaming parts aren’t really my thing and everyone important he seems to meet, with two exceptions, is female.

That said. I share your opinion on Nico.

8. Fabienne says:

Oh,theres someone who blogs Casshern Sins,thats nice ; )

This anime really got style,with this thick atmosphere and the way the story is told,its very enjoyable.

In this Episode I was surprised that that a big bad Mecha even could be nice to others.
    In the other episodes the big bad Mechas were always stupid hooligans.

9. I finally got to watching this episode. You know me; if there’s a Casshern-x-Lyuze element to the episode, I automatically like it and I’d say it’s awesome. But that wasn’t really the case with this episode.

There’s surely have been more development between the two characters here than any other episode (Casshern calls Lyuze by her name now, they talk and hang out like they’re friends or something, and they are now shown facing in the same direction), and I don’t know if it was just my bad mood at the time of watching, but there’s something about the progression of the scenes and story that’s rather “jerky”. It feels like everything’s going a bit too fast, and things are happening a little too abruptly.

I’ve actually been waiting for an episode “with flowers”. I’m thinking, Casshern would pick a flower or a bunch of ’em (a blue rose perhaps?) and give them to Lyuze as a peace offering *slash* “token-of-affection”. Well, this episode has a lot of flowers in it, but I guess that is just too much to ask for. On the other hand, this episode shows that Lyuze is not indifferent towards flowers and I hope Casshern somehow picked that up. If he was able to just know Lyuze’s name without anyone telling him, there’s no reason for him not to.

Another thing I’ve noted in this episode is how the people behind it seemed to have highlighted the contrast between Casshern’s sensitivity and Lyuze’s roughness. I’m talking of course with the way they treated Nico. So basically, the the lead couple of this series (if I may call them that this early), is a sensitve, emo-but-not-a-pansy-by-all-means guy, and, a tomboy who-hasn’t-lost-touch-with-her-femininity. Exactly my kind of couple: a guy I can relate to, and a chick who’s just my type. Another reason for me to like this show.

10. Solaris says:

CasshernXLyuze what “flowers” did you smoke? I want some too o.O”

It shows you kids never watched the old classic :S

11. @ Solaris:

I’m straightedge, I don’t do shit like that. And I’m not a kid.

I am aware of the original Casshern, but I haven’t watched it. I also saw that 90s Casshern and I don’t remember liking it. Do I have to? I mean, to enjoy this series, I have to have watched the original?

The problem with people like you is that you have trouble accepting more recent titles in a franchise as independent of the original and later predecessors. I think it has already been pointed out that the storyline of Casshern Sins has nothing to do with the original series. Even if no one did, it should be obvious for someone of your supposed experience and intellect.

It shows how you think you already know a lot, and how quick you are to pass judgment without a decent amount of basis. And yeah, keep your garbage to yourself.

12. Solaris says:

Eheh don’t be mad at me, cause i was joking with your flowers back then :) Just make a big laugh and go on, k? ;)

The 90’s OAV was a very quick summary of the older serie. It wasn’t that bad, but lacked a lot of introspection. Anyway the basic plot was still there.

Let me introduce you the real Casshern and the contact points between old and new series.

Short summary. Dr Azuma build a new serie of AI with the purpouse of solving the greates issue of pollution. But the AI disfunctioned and become “alive”. The new generated Braiking interpreted the task Dr Azuma gave them by literally removing the main agent of world pollution, that is, ironically mankind. Braiking build an army of robots and declared war to humanity.
    Dr Azuma, from savior of the world was addressed as the Fool Scientist that ruined the world.
    Dr Azuma tried to find a solution and developed a new kind of cyborg to defeat Braiking’s army.
    The new project is revolutionary: a biological mix of robot and living form, moved by solar energy. It combined the strenght of the robot and intellect of humans. But a sacrifice is necessary to operate it: someone must give out his humanity and become that monster.
    The first experiment on a living creature was successful: Tetsuya’s pet Friender was turned into a multi task robot. It can change to an airplane and other kind of veicles at command. It also equipped a firethrower in the mouth.
    But Braiking came aware of Dr Azuma’s plans and prepared to strike.
    On a dreadful night, Braiking attacked the lab. Tetusya, Dr Azuma’s only child, decided to be the sacrifice for Casshern birth. Aware of loosing its own humanity he takes farewell from his family and his love, Luna and went inside the machine. Tetsuya’s body was disintegrated and fused with Casshern’s mechanical skeleton.
    An horrible view awaits newborn Cashern the subsequent day: The lab is destroyed, his parents are missing. He gets friender and begins his quest. Some time later he also find Luna. That is another beautiful story, but i’ll leave that for now.

Given this prologue, there’s much more plot in the first serie than in the new one, right? But that’s not all… [continues]

13. Solaris says:

Casshern now is neither a human nor a robot. He’s an halfbreed from both races at war. Nonetheless his appearence is still human and he pretends to be one. But he knows he’s not and fears to be rejectd from mankind in the first place. He fights robots but what to do if humanity that he loves so much, would turn against him knowing the truth?
    Luckily enough nobody noticed the superhuman strenght and agility, and Casshern quickly becomes a new symbol of hope. He’s the new saviour people relies on. By now, cause Braiking will eventually find out the truth and would use that info against Casshern.
    The only ally of Casshern is her: Luna. At the start of the story Casshern resused Luna. Being no more human he feel sorry not to be the man she loved anymore. But Luna still loved him and would never say farewell to him.
    Casshern is aware that the robotic body is slowly taking over of himself and he’s loosing his mind. Whenever that will happen nobody knows what it will be of him. Cassher will turn in am emotionless fighting machine and Testya will eventually fade away.

[continues]

14. This is the very connection to the new serie. Hundreds of centuries in the future, Casshern has (supposedly) ommitted the greatest sin, killed Luna and his own humanty is now lost. This new serie is a journey backway to humanity for Casshern.

Where did you get this? I got the part that Luna was “summoned”… does this mean she time-travelled to the future or something?

This is what’s currently in the Wikipedia article:
    The series has been remade, completely discarding the continuity presented in the original Neo-Human Casshern anime series, in which Casshern was a cybernetic superhero battling the evil robotic forces of Braiking Boss in a post-apocalyptic Earth. Instead, in Casshern Sins, Casshern is presented as a cyborg subordinate of Braiking Boss who was ordered to assassinate the savior of mankind, and has thus doomed the Earth to ruin.

Of course, in no way am I saying that you’re wrong and whoever wrote that part of the article is right. I’m just sharing the information.

Honestly, I’m just in this for the “Lyuze” and the “Casshern-x-Lyuze” sides of it. I don’t really care about everything else. Some people probably have negative things to say about that, but so what? That’s what I like about this series.

15. Solaris says:

Remember that wiki is written by people and can be wrong. Sure the director changed something, but the only difference with respect to the old serie looks Casshern being subordinate to Braiking. We don’t know what really happened in the fictional time line as there’s a huge gap between the old and the new story. I can tell you how it finished and you know how it restarted. Then you can do your calculations. Mine is a nice teory after all.

Btw, let me continue the essay from above.
    So, themes such as pollution, racism, lost humanity, war and sacrifice were themes of the wise old Casshern. Now we have a very nice mood and atmosphere about a dead world and the few living and robotic beings that still live there. The manin theme here is just Casshern doing his journey in search of his lost humanity and love. Luna, the wonderful character lost from the first serie is now a symbol of hope and redemption. You see what a change in 30 yeasr of Casshern.
    Casshern was once the main actor in the war between Humans and Robots. Now all the story centers around him.
    But the old Casshern was a char eternally struggling in the fight for an higher mission, that was to take remedy of the mistakes of the past and to save the future.
    Today Casshern has no aim, no mission. He just wanders off in search of something missing, but finds only the ruin of a lost forgotten world, and its insane inhabitants, old remaning of the robot who took the world over humans.

16. psgels psgels says:

I think that the major theme in the new series is a bit more than just watching Casshern wander around. It’s also about how people and robots choose to live, knowing that they’re going to be destroyed anyway, which is one of the main reasons why I’m so interested in this series.

Also, at the end of this particular episode, Casshern most definitely gives himself a clear mission: if he was the one who caused the destruction, then he’s going to be the one to stop it.

17. Solaris says:

Yes, Psgels, you are right, but it happened in the last episode. Yet there were nine long episode worth of wandering for Casshern to decide to move on…

That’s why i said elsewere the serie is progressing far too slowly. The “short summary” i wrote down before is only one episode and it has more plot than nine episodes of the new serie!

So, if i’d to give out marks (non tech stuff):
    Environment and mood: 10
    Char development: 8
    Plot: 2

18. About Luna being there centuries later, sure you heard hints in the last episodes about Luna possibly being alive and immortal, didn’t you?

Let me ask you this then; why is it that Luna (here in Casshern Sins) had to ask who the intruder is? If she knew Casshern from back then, that won’t be necessary, and she’d probably be a lot more emotional than that. And is the Luna in the original series also “immortal”?

But we could argue and question all we want. The best thing to do, in my opinion, is to just wait for the rest of the series to unfold.

That’s because the “old Casshern” was intended to be a superhero. This Casshern, while still saving people and fighting bad guys, obviously wasn’t. Even if he were, I’m still not seeing it.

I agree on slow part. If you’ve seen an older comment of mine, I said that 12-13 eps. is just right for this series. Then it became clear that this is gonna go up to the 24-26 range through the use of “fillers”. But I learned to just deal with it, sit back, and enjoy it.

Was the original series that “unresolved” for you to want this series to pick up where it left off or be an improved version of it?

19. Solaris says:

Luna was human. Her weapon was a magnetic gun that destroyed robots but was harmless to humans. She was completely different in the old serie. That’s a real pity cause i liked very much that character of hers.

In this serie the two seem to be complete strangers. Well much time has passed in the timeline anything could have happened, such as memory loss. Most likely in the eventuality of Luna being turned into a cyborg too.

As a matter of fact, this is a new serie. It’s normal that there are differences and given the time gap, i demand for explanations that the serie didn’t yet provide me, being over 1/3 of the planned airtime.

As a matter of fact the two series are very different, but the’t what we’d expect after 30 years gap between the two ;) Anime has changed and also the public has changed.
    We an also skip on some discordances in the happenings for the sake of the new plot continuity.

Last note: Casshern is still a superhero. He just forgot it. With some luck the plot will start moving soon and we well have all the answers we derserve.

Super last note: I really hope for your sake that Luna will be dead or something unless there’ll never be place for Casshern X Lyuze, Sopithia, Nico or whatever else chick ;)

20. Eldar says:

Solaris, some of us have seen the original Casshan anime (thank you youtube) and I can frankly say that it doesn’t even approach the current incarnation in terms of quality of animation or writing.

21. Cassh says:

How about we all just get along..
    Love this episode. Thanks for the blog.

22. What’s with my tentative of explanation that bother you so much CxL? I thought about it and tried to join the old with the new in the most logical way.

It’s not the same storyline.

Look, we could argue about this endlessly and that would just be a waste of time. So I say, let’s just keep watching the series and see if it turns out as you say (a continuation of the original), or not (a completely different storyline).

The series hasn’t even reached half its intended number of episodes (I hope they don’t cancel it), so expect more “delays”.

If Casshern’s “still” a superhero in this series, I don’t recall a single line in the dialogue that supports the idea. What he forgot was everything prior to his reawakening, which of course revolves around the act of tracking down and killing Luna. And so far, I haven’t seen any indication of him being a superhero during that time or prior to it. In addition, if he was even considered a “good guy”, he could have simply walked up to Luna and not have to be confronted by Lyuze’s sister. And considering his superiority as a fighting machine, he could have even been the one charged of protecting Luna.

Take a hint from the opening, the list of seiyuu in the ending, and the list of characters in the official website. They obviously intended Lyuze to be the “hero’s girl” of the show. I don’t know why they decided not to put Luna in that role, and instead come up with a new character for it, but I like the end result.

And you don’t have to hope that. I know “Casshern-x-Lyuze” is gonna happen regardless of what state Luna is in. Believe it!

23. Solaris says:

Eldar, do you watch anime on youtube and yet argue about quality?
    Nontheless it’s quite obvious that a 30 years old anime looks “quite much outdated” in comparison to a modern one. But about the plot, please, don’t even bother telling its writing was worse cause it’s absolutely not true.

CxL let’s see what it will happen. Of course we’ll write our own final notes at last when the anime will be finished.

24. GGear0323 says:

anyway, the writing is excellent in this series, even if 90% percent of the time it has nothing to do with the plot and more to do with the atmosphere. just because the plot is slow moving doesnt mean the writing is bad at all.
    i mean the plot is simple enough, Casshern is told he caused the ruin by killing Luna and so he wants to find a way to somehow help the world or stop the ruin altogether. while we dont really have established villains (Dio being an antagonist and all but he also wants to end the ruin, and Braiking Boss just wandering around himself) the series as a whole has been wonderful so far and i cannot stop watching it.

so far, most of the deepness in the writing pertains to how they portray the robots trying to live in such a world that in effect they also helped create, and in that aspect, this show is VERY deep and moving.

on the casshern side, we dont really feel his pain because even though he has been told he caused all this, he still doesnt remember anything and just takes everyone’s word for it. when we start to delve into his side of things a little deeper, i suspect the writers will do just as fantastic a job as they have been doing so far.

25. while i am pretty sure that this series has nothing to do with the original, there are always ways to somehow connect them if you want.

Thank you.

I don’t think it’s just “taking everyone’s word for it”. He saw for himself the kind of destruction he’s capable of (late episode 02 – early episode 03), albeit when not in control himself. And that seemed enough to convince him that the accusations he just one day woke up to are true. He doesn’t have any memory of his “sin”, but he acknowledges it as if he does.

26. wtf says:

man this episode made me tear up a bit at the end :'( Very powerful character. This episode reminds me a bit of Planetarian: Chiisana Hoshi no Yume (a little star’s dream). If you have not played that, YOU MUST!! It will make you really teary by the end (and its fully translated =))!! Very powerful. You could probably torrent it by a cursory search of google. Fairly short, about 2 or 3 hours if i remember correctly.

27. the op of kurozuka is weird says:

this series is boring. . .

Anonymous2037529
LWA academia is probably the only trigger project i've truly cared about. I haven't watched KlK to completion or luluco for that matter(i got to get around to that) but ive seen everything else and i just don't give a damn about any of em
But to say something positive - I liked the second episode of Kamuy way better than the first one. Budget seems to be really bad but the rest makes up for it it seems.
I think Luluco was the only one I enjoyed after KlK which already had a bunch of problems - but overall it was far too entertaining for me to seriously care about those.
Guess the last 1/3 might be more interesting when they start with the actual world building for once, although they could probably slam the love stuff even more in our faces but who knows. Not fond of any of the latest Trigger anime to be honest.
Also they're really overdoing it with all that obvious message stuff and the "love superpower" trope I always hated anyway. Still watching I mean at least it has a plot and tries.
I still can't care about anyone or anything in this series I think it's really not made for me. I might have liked Goro but he's too unimportant and the sauros revelation was kind of a letdown since it's the most common twist for these kinds of things.
Alright Franxx, you are forgiven for episode 14.
@Mario: Do you ever go to those surprise horror/thriller preview screenings? Where they don't tell you what film it is until it starts?
*worrying about
@Mario: Its saying something, when I haven't seen eternal sunshine since it came out, but even by re-watching the trailer, the feelings, the whole film comes back. At that point I'd grown out of Jim Carey's comedy, so seeing him play against type was refreshing.
@Mario: Ah, I'm more forgiving then, I'm likely to give higher points for sheer imagination that I'm not as bothered by worry about the story.
@Mario: Any negative argument against mood indigo by him can be countered by the fact it has Audrey Tatou in it.
Anonymous2035464
jhonrhean
and I just watched A Quiet Place. A solid indie horror one. It builds on atmosphere and it does the family chemistry right
I don't like The Science of Sleep to be honest. Tons of interesting ideas and visually creativeness but the story itself is a mess
@Mario: Gondry needs to avoid making any more commercial comedies, he also needs to start working with Kaufman again, they brought out the best in each other, although on his own, he can be playful and inventive with his films, such as mood indigo and science of sleep.
But check out his other movie Eternal sunshine of Spotless Mind. It has an inventive mind control/ mind altering concept in there
Jim Carrey is kind of mind controller himself. I couldn't take my eyes off him
@anon2028818: it was indeed season 5. SORRY FOR MY IGNORANCE :)
The Jim Carrey movies.
Dorei-ku seems like a Kakegurui. You see one episode you've seen all. It'll be better if it was crazier like Mirai Nikki. Mind control IMO could be a very creepy setup if it's watched through the perspective of the victim rather than the perpetrator. Losing notion or reality and control. Could liar liar and Yes man be considered mind controlled stories?
Ore Mahou Shoujo, baffles me, since I had to skip another long musical off key number, which makes me wonder where the budget cut starts and where the trolling begins. Also makes me sad, there aren't a lot of female to male transformations since it'll be interesting watching that perspective. Maybe a love triangle from both genders could apply since females are more accepted to be bi, in media.
Megalobox could be something really special, but I hope like with Ashita no Joe, the anime isn't solely boxing. Joe, had social commentary, had a personal struggle do to the protagonist origin, attitude and view of life, since he started very immature and rebellious.
Megalo Box, Tiramisu (I find this genuinely funny), S;0, GGO which is so much better than SAO, Wotaku, Hinamatsuri, Cutie Honey, LotGH, Hisone to Masotan and so on
I really love this season as well.
Also personally I am enjoying this current season a alot. But I also know/like a good bit of the reboots/sequels
Oh man... 2015 winter was good. Forgot thats when those came out
Anonymous2028818
@SuperMario: Wasn't that Natsume season 5?, pretty sure season 4 was several years earlier.
Another strong anime season for me was 2015 Winter, where we had YuriKuma Arashi, Maria the Virgin Witch, Death Parade, Durarara whatever season, second cour of Shirobako, Parasyte and Your Lie in April
Even so, with this season I'm still willing to give some shows another chance, like Caligula or Cutie Honey Universe(!)
For me, the best season in recent years was Fall 2016 when we had Flip Flappers, Sound Eupho 2, Yuri on Ice, Natsume 4, Fune wo Amu, Drifters and 3-gatsu no Lion. But I know that Aidan would disagree with me on this
@anon2028201: it's me who said this season is a mixed bag. It's like you said, this season is too heavily on sequels/ reboots and only some new anime stand out, the rest of the pack is just meh.
Anonymous2028201
To me this seems like a pretty good seasons, but judging some of the impressions, it's a bit more of a mixed bag for most. Just curious, what were the best seasons for recent anime? This one seems good to me, but to early to tell right now
Anonymous2028201
Lovin this season so far: a lot of reboots/reimaginings and sequels, but I'm enjoying them all. MHA S3, LOGH DNT, S;G 0, Megalobox, Golden Kamuy are what I'm watching right now. I hear Full Metal Panic is good as well, but I haven't gotten around to watching the original series.
Anonymous2028258
so i just recently rewatched fullmetal panic fumoffu and i gotta say that this is easily one of Kyo ani's best works. It's such a surprise that this was their first anime; it's a damn good romance comedy
@Anon: Lol I love B-movie type stuff, because the rules are off.
I was the only person who watched Mazinkaiser skl and shin mazinger and skullman.
Anonymous2026379
@Kaiser Takeshi Koike really wanted to really sell it as a grindhouse feature and I ate that shit up; I really dug the tone he was going for.
@Anon: It was strange seeing that Goemon short, much as I enjoyed it, thats the goriest I seen lupin get.
Anonymous2026379
Megalo box is pure retro while lupin is a mix of old and new...and you're right; people just think they can't jump right into it. But that's why more people should be talking about it; to let the masses know that you don't need a starting point to get into the Lupin franchise
I'm a massive fan of the devilman manga and I thought devilman crybaby was better than it.
Anonymous2026379
90's-esque throwback feeling shows like lupin and megalo box have been giving me
Anonymous2026379
Luoin part 5 is definitely mixing the best of new and old. Honestly, I've been having a blast with it as well as this generally 90
I think the problem is, people see lupin as this long thing they can't get into, when really its so episodic/standalone mostly you can pick up and watch.
And of course getting the best bits out of old and new.
*visual style
I'm a fan of this hybrid old and new style, megalobox does it too, mine fujiko aswell and casshern sins.
I was surprised by how well the Fujiko mine show came together in the end.
I'll be interested in picking up more facts about thrm.
Come think of it, Akira Kurosawa did some old western (eastern?) in Russian, that had an Ainu in it.
Anonymous2026379
Asirpa is sooooo adorable.....almost feels patronizing to say that about her due to how badass she is
Anonymous2026379
What makes Fujiko work so well as this sexy icon is that she isn't just sexy: she's smart as shit and uses that sexiness to dominate and control her opponents (similar to bayonetta) rather than be chained by the objectification of her opponents (and the viewers for that matter)
Anonymous2026379
I wonder what other obscure cameos we may get this season. And yea you're right about some of Lupin's potentially sexist traits being assuaged by his level of cool and the genuine respect he shows a good deal of the women he has encountered throughout the series
@Anon: Yet still a fun film at the same time.
Anonymous2026379
@Kaiser Yea, mamo was a pretty dark element introduced to the lupin franchise; and considering the tone of the gravestone of Jigen, it makes sense he would cameo there
@Mario: Help I want to kidnap Asirpa =<
@Anon: I'm probably as surprised as you, at finding someone to talk to about Lupin on here.
@Anon: And through comparing/contrasting the jigen grave stone and Fujiko mine, with some of the sillier older ones, it shows the Lupin characters are flexible enough to work both in a darker AND sillier context.
*character
@Anon: Fujiko is precisely how a fanservicey character should work and how built in/essential it is to her haracter, without becoming an irritant.
@Anon: By all means Lupin himself shouldn't be a character we like, much like Bond, but like Bond theres a coolness to the character that allows us to love him.
@Anon: Another great thing about Lupin is how it uses its 60s cool to get away with what would normally probably be considered fairly sexist.
@Anon: I had a big smile on my face when Mamo made a cameo appearance at the end of one of the recent ones and thats because I remember the Lupin Mamo movie was one of those first anime that I watched about 20 years aago.
Anonymous2026379
not to mention that its one of the few anime this season that actually knows how to utilize dialogue to explore flesh out its characters rather than exposition or contrivance: looking at you darling in the franxx
Anonymous2026379
@Kaiser-Eoghan Nice fun facts; but yea Lupin III is a series that has always had an amazing sense of pacing and adventure, traits that are definitely on display this season
@Anon: Its a huge franchise too so I'm often never sure where to go next.
@Anon: You may or may not know this, but the voice actor for solid snake voiced Lupin in one of the dubs.
@Anon: I watched a few episodes of the Italy set lupin show too .
Its a fun franchise due to its cast but its something I have to follow irregularly, lest it get repetitive.
@Anon: Fun fact, guy who directed the gold of babylon film was a famous B-movie noir director in the 60s.
Dont trust anything written by the original SAO author. Everything is his fault. Kirito is not in this series.
Even the original SAO author has little to do with it, which is why its actually good
So SAO Alt is basically completely removed from the rest of SAO
@Anon: Lupin is one of those things I dip in and out of, whatever part of the franchise it is. I've seen birdcage kingdom, Mamo, cagliostro, nostradamus, Jigens grave stone, mine fujiko and the recent Goemon centred special.
Anonymous2026379
it's a damn shame not a lot of ppl are talkig about/watching lupin the third this season
But for all I know with that team behind it, its an improvement, but theres probably not much point in me watching as I dropped the first season after less than 10 episodes.
See how he attempts to seduce me into watching something related to sword art.
Huh... I didnt know the writer for SAO Alt was written by the Kino's Journey creator and produced by the Flip Flappers people. Explains a lot
I wish I knew what you meant by shaman girls, and I cant wait
@Lenlo, Oh I know Leskinen. May he find his Japanese Shaman girls one day. But seeing as I know the story I wanna experience it differently.
@Mario: Its even set in hokkaido, Korean/Japanese director, Japanese cast, Ken Watanabe is in it: https://letterboxd.com/film/unforgiven-2013/
Also, I love the ED. Really, 2 episodes in, I love S;G all over again.
@Kaiser: really? They remade Unforgiven in Japanese?
its*
Like... is good.
But your missing out on the cult of Leskinen. The engrish is actually one of my favorite parts
@Lenlo, Meanwhile I am happily waiting for the dub.
Dangit... I have to wait another week for Steins;Gate 0 now. I cant do this.
@Mario: The Japanese remake of unforgiven had ainu people in it.
Anonymous2025797
Also I wonder if budget is distributed according to the director, some animes will spend more in the first episode. Some will spend more in the last ones. It's subjective, but if it's like all business it is looking for the better result at the minimum expense. Hence why I believe Berserk was made the way it did.
Anonymous2025797
@Kaiser-Eoghan - Ideally a story should be as long as it needs. But reality seems that a number of episodes is decided before production. And so you either have to stretch or cut material. Kinda like that 300 page manga of Les Miserables, is simply unfeasible translating that book into that few pages.
Oberstein was a great character.
I actually feel Aidan can do a good job on it. Sometimes been too exposed to the material may lead to clouded eyes.
Though I'm surprised by how I unexpectedly laughed at wotaku, I do wonder if later on it will include any slight drama elements to sustain interest.
OMO; OBERsteins; Gate =P
From watching episode 2 of golden kamuy, yeah, the source material definitely is lifting this.
I'm going to have to wait and see on steins; gate 0, it is encouraging to here this might be darker , at the same time I remember having to sit through too much goofy humour in the first one.
I was actually surprised, that, while rare, there were some moments of humour, that lightened it for me.
Throughout the entire series I expected Oberstein to pull some inevitable double cross. And was shocked when he never did.
@Kaiser: Agree with Oberstein. I think antagonists are es important as the mains in fiction and I loved this guy, he's perfect for series like these.
Galactic heroes was an example of where when watching it, when big death scenes occured, I would make noooooo and shouting noises at the screen while clenching my fist.
I love characters like Oberstein, shrewd, clever, but done right to where I can believe it, not characters like, say Lelouch .
I'd be concerned if the new galactic heroes series skimps on the violence, that kind of thing needs to be in there, in most shows/films and shown to be explicit, consequences need to be shown.
*about, not with
Sadly, most original 2+ cours series I know feel dragged whereas many 1 cours originals could have needed ~3 more episodes. Talking with series that have an actual plot of course.
I really like the 13 episodes thingy for originals but I wish there would be more 26 episodes series, especially for adaptions.
@Kaiser: I agree. Nothing kills my interest faster than formularic episodes and repetition.
In general I think 50 episodes would be the most I'd watch for an anime, 39 seems ideal.
Or worse and the romance drama is the main plot and it's Kiznaiver all over again, while the rest is just flavor to make the romances more forced since they're the MCs are only teens and such. Dunno but I can never bring myself to care about this kind of stuff.
Though better 110 episodes of galactic heroes than a long shounen that just repeats itself.
Speaking of recent episodes, I unironically thing that FranXX's world (building) is pretty interesting (although I hope those klaxxosaurusses will be more than just random cannon fodder) but I doubt the series will ever get to the main plot again the next time.
Same here. It was really the only time I did this. I am usually exhausted by just thinking about marathoning long series. It's the reason why I won't get into FMP for the new series either. LotGH was an exception since I found it easily to watch for some reason.
Man, just image burning through 110 episodes of it and my spirit fades away
Watched that whole series ages ago.
Just watched the first three Neue These episodes and I surprinsingly liked it. Thought I would hate it due to being an OVA fan, and I still prefer the old designs by far but overall it's pretty good. I think I might even prefer this version of the first battle, but I have to rewatch the old one I guess.
Also while I can't remember which episode, Yang picks up a book with the author of the series' name on it.
Arslan feels so lightweight by contrast/comparison.
And I think, given your knowledge KTtravlos, that a series review of the new galactic heroes season would probably benefit from you writing it.
I bring up the music in my earlier comment, because I can understand your reservations regarding the music choice in the remake.
And certainly one of those shows, that going back to the first episode after finishing, gives a strong perspective just on how evolving the series was.
*despite me not
Despite not being monarchist , because the characters were human moreso than cartoon characters I couldn't hate on Reinhard.
@Travlos: I suppose by the time it got to Julian's arc, I was surprised they were still bothering to fight but the fact that they were essentially the last bastion of their beliefs made it special.
@Travlos: Sometimes when I just finish a show, its a case where I HAVE to jump online immediately after and excitedly ramble out an essay on it.
niello
ugh democracy
@Kaiser ultimately LOGH for me was a decisive point in my political life, as I think it made the best defense of democracy in any form I have seen. And it worked partly because the opponent was presented in the best possible incarnation (Rienhard). Yang's continued adherence to democracy, despite recongising its flaws, helped me avoid a personal descent into authoritarian politics.
@Kaiser. I am happy you had a good experience. I watched the prequels a while after the main show and I was happy because it was great getting back to those characters. The prequels were also great in fleshing the setting and the characters. So yes, take your time and a break. That way the prequels will be like visiting a place you liked again after a while.
@KTtravlos: I have some other stuff to get through before watching the galactic heroes prequel though =<
YES according to discord poster I'm not a millenial!
Sorry for overposting. I have always always being an incredibly verbose person.
@Vonter; Not that I oppose captilistically made for a buck cinema, it can be entertaining yes, but I set a standard.
@Vonter: As open as I am to trash cinema, I consider the resident evil films, like the superhero ones, anti-art.
I can understand why people don't like Villier, but he did I think work as a device to add extra tension.
I feel some release at finishing but at the same time sadness at saying goodbye to the show and its characters.
, showing its age.
But for something of this length, it kept itself up far better than most long shows and I feel the length its somewhat justified.

On another note….as corny as the third ending theme is, I got the feels listening to it.
But while the first 50 odd episodes were an easy job for me aswell as all of the 4th season and some of the late 3rd season made it difficult for me to pull myself away from it, the dialogue even though often well observed did become difficult to follow at times and somewhere in the middle theres a stretch of episodes, bar some moments that feel a bit of an endurance test and the animation is at
Its attention to detail I felt was at its strongest in the documentary and the series dedication to filling the view in on its world building/fictional history.
I admired the scope, ambition of this series and the battles eventually grew on me and I was surprised by just how visceral the melee combat got which suited me perfectly. At the same time for all the strategy and action, I found myself more in it for the story, characters and intrigue/politicking. Those battles, due in part to their music choices, had an epic feel to them
In the end the characters stood out for me the best were Reinhard, Oberstein (for being essentially the amazing man with the plan), Reuntal, Kircheis and Rubinsky, I warmed up to Julian, Yang and Schenkop. When important deaths occurred, they felt highly dramatic, in four cases emotionally effecting for me .
Also, KTtravlos, thank you for pushing me toward watching the original legend of the galactic heroes, my opinion on the series is largely a mixed one, but by the end I felt I’d watched something rewarding and I’m happy its crossed off my list and I should have gotten round to it sooner.
I'm probably the oldest here, being 32. Which apparently makes me around Yang-wenli's age, which according to someone means I'm middle aged .
To the discord guy who brought it up, its difficult not for me to be political, my father was an activist and is a Marxist , I ended up becoming a contradiction a semi-agnostic, but spiritually inclined/tolerant socialist with internationalist ideology.
@Aidan: Ends in very cliffhanger/abrupt indy way though and the things weakness/how to kill thems too easy.
@Aidan: I liked how it explains nothing also and the creature design and how it visual communicates to the audience.
@Aidan: While I won't say anything, a character death is handled in what I considered a schmaltzy manner. There is a particularly headscratching decision the characters make that you'll either rationalize or hate, but it leads to one of the tenser set pieces later on.
@Aidan: Quiet place has a good idea at its backbone, that they use sign language in the film to communicate and occassional whispers adds to it, it and the silence allows for a mood to be effectively communicated. It does have jump scares, I wasn't annoyed by them, but I never felt the film required them.
@Aidan: I read the discord, if you ever need to ask a question relating to film, come to me about it, I will without fail be able to answer 9 times out of 10.
I was adequately amused by the first episode of wotaku, but found the male lead funnier, which I'm attributing to him be more deadpan.
We found a convient weekend for everyone
*watching
I would also float the idea of recommendation podcasts every now and then.

Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii – 02[Are We Now Dating?]

After a strong first episode I come back to this show and find a rather middling second episode. There is some good content here, namely the Evangelion references, one of which was butchered by the crunchyroll translators.(Narumi and Hanako were arguing over who was best girl in Evangelion with notes over their head about whose […]

Steins;Gate 0 – 2 [Epigraph of the Closed Curve -Closed Epigraph-]

7 years. It has been almost 7 years since the original season of Steins;Gate. Since Okabe overcame received a mysterious video message, which prompted him to finally save the day. Back then it was a rather clever, if thin, plot device to get a happy ending. Steins;Gate 0 is the story of this video message. […]

Legend of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These – 2/3[The Battle of Astarte/An Indomitable Prodigy]

If I was to judge this adaption based solely on the first three episodes I would declare it a resounding success. For while I do really like the old series, it does have a rather slow start. I say i only truly got invested in it around episode 3 or 4 when the more political […]

Golden Kamuy – 02 [Nopperabo]

Leave it to Japanese cartoon that done the Western genre better than the Westerners, at least from what we have seen so far (note: despite my pun, Western the genre doesn’t refer to the Western culture, but to the American Old West). Granted, Japanese cinema and literature has a strong tradition of samurai genre, which […]

Hinamatsuri – 02 [This Is How You Have a ESP Battle!]

Welcome to THE comedy gold of the season. Before I get into anything specific, let’s me discuss about what make this little show about a psychic girl and a yakuza hilarious in the first place. The main source of humor in Hinamatsuri largely comes from situation-based weirdness. Putting these characters out of their comfort zones […]

Darling in the Franxx – 14[Punishment and Confession]

Last time Darling and the Franxx had it’s best episode yet which raised my opinion of the series and gave me hopes for greater things moving forward. So it’s sad that they follow this up with the worst episode of the series to date. This episode was pure frustration to watch because you knew exactly […]

Megalo Box – 2 [The Man Only Dies Once]

Welcome to the Spring 2018 anime season! I am proud to present to you the Ashita no Joe 50th Anniversary project, Megalo Box. Easily the most stylish anime of the season. Lets jump in! With just 2 episodes, Megalo Box has become my favorite for the season. Everything about it feels like it comes from […]

Darling in the Franxx – 13[The Beast and the Prince]

That was the best episode of Darling in the Franxx to date. Truly I am impressed with this though it may be perhaps because the fanservice aspects of the show were not present at all during this episode. Todays episode was spent entirely on the past of Hiro and Zero Two. When this episode is […]

Fate/Extra Last Encore – 08-10[No Second Strike ― Dead End ― /Golden Theater of the Deranged ― Aestus Domus Aurea ― /Unlimited――― ― Unlimited/ Raise・Dead ―]

It hard to have an opinion on the last three episodes of Fate/Extra when the content has been quite similar to the previous episodes of the cour. For now the series has ended with the remaining episodes coming as a special later. Still unknown if that was the actual special broadcast that was originally considered […]

A Place Further than the Universe (Winter 2018) Review – 77/100

Cute girls doing cute things is a genre that been done to death at this point. Even within this Winter 2018 we had been overloaded with big eyes fluffy face girls doing a lot of different things of interest. It takes a standout concept or a deeper narrative to make one stand out from this […]

After the Rain (2018 Winter) Review – 89/100

I suppose that most of us, even the perministic ones, enter After the Rain (Ameagari) with some reservations. After all, the premise about a crush from an 18-year-old girl to the store manager who is nearly 30 years senior raises a lot of red flags here. Yet the show handles this tricky premise with deep […]

Kokkoku – 42.5/100

There are lots of bad anime out there, for one reason or another. Whether it be stilted animation, terrible writing or bad direction, a good portion of each season is simply not worth it. Kokkoku is not a bad anime. It is something much worse. Kokkoku is a mediocre anime. Bad ones get talked about, […]

Junji Ito Collection Anime Review – 40/100

In the realm of manga there is a man whose name is inescapable when the genre of horror is brought up. That man is Junji Ito and his work is considered legendary for its artistic detail, mastery of manga paneling and it’s outlandish imaginative concepts. Up till now his work has yet to have an […]

Yuru Camp (Winter 2018) Review – 74/100

I admit that I underestimated Yuru Camp back in its first few episodes. I took it as a standard, run-on-the-mill slice of life show and I fully expected to give it 3 episodes at max before throwing it into the deep sea of forgotten anime. But as time pass, I can certainly see many good […]

Neo Yokio – 96/100

This may be half a year overdue but I simply can’t accept that none of the writing staff of Star Crossed Anime have cover the the biggest development in anime where Netflix took a hand in producing anime in the form of Neo Yokio. Taking place in the metropolis of Neo Yokio, a mashup between […]

Devilman Crybaby – 83/100

It’s an exciting time to be an anime fan where new business models and players are making big waves within the animation industry. After debuting with the original and excellently-produced Neo Yokio, the juggernaut streaming service of Netflix has decided to revive the classic series of Devilman and gives it the full adaption treatment. By […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 69/100

Fantasy is a rather prolific genre in anime, with a vast majority of Isekai and Shounen fitting snugly into it. Most take place in their own unique setting, either Amestris of Full Metal Alchemist or the made of world of the latest Isekai trash. Few however try to set themselves in our world. To peel […]

Mary and the Witch’s Flower – 73/100 (Joint Review)

Wooper: Mary and the Witch’s Flower is the first feature film from Studio Ponoc, which spun off from Studio Ghibli in early 2015. Given Ghibli’s towering reputation, the bar was high for this inaugural flick, which recently made its way to U.S. theaters, giving Lenlo and I a chance to see it on the big […]