Posted by psgels on 29 January 2009 with categories: Casshern Sins

Short Synopsis: Our cast arrives at the place where Luna supposedly was born.
Overall Enjoyment Value: 8,5/10 (Awesome)
Nothing short of an awesome episode. Not only does Leda finally get her development, turning her from a dull character into a great one, it also pushes the plot also gets pushed into an entirely new direction.

So, let me get this straight: Leda once was pregnant!? So Ouji’s research did succeed, apparently. If I understood things correctly, she entrusted her child to Luna, who would grow it in some sort of artificial womb (probably to guarantee the survival of the infant), but along the way something went wrong and her child died. It turns out that she was after some sort of secret that Luna left behind. I’m not yet sure for what kind of motive, but in this episode when she’s this close to attaining it, she simply loses control of herself. I’m beginning to think that Casshern and Leda’s emotional stability are inversely proportionate to each other: Casshern has calmed down a lot since the first few episodes (as noted by Luna and Ouji in this episode), while the only emotional support Leda received was from a power-hungry Dio.

In the end, this “secret” was hidden inside three child robots, that Luna left behind at her birthplace. At this point, we’re not sure what its purpose is, but Ouji is going to find out. For that, however, he was forced to break up with Ringo, which made for a really emotional break-up scene between the two. I also wonder: those children referred to Luna as their mother, but also talked about a father, who has long since died. I can’t imagine anyone who fits that bill, other than that the children somehow misheard about either Dune’s or Braiking Boss’ death or something. Also, that one comparison they made with Leda and Luna is also very interesting, hinting that there’s much more to Leda still.

Also, this part is what I’m a bit unsure about, but if I’m not mistaken those children also revealed something about the concept of immortality in this series: if you want to be immortal, you’ve got to know the meaning of “love”. If this is true, then it does explain a few things: Leda herself can’t understand that concept, so despite her wishes to be immortal that became apparent in this episode, she’s never going to attain her goal. Dio himself is stuck with such a woman, so the concept of love also shouldn’t occur with him. And now that I think about it, all of the robots feelings we’ve seen so far in the random stories were despair, admiration, obsession and fascination, but no romantic feelings. Luna herself somehow did understand the concept, and when Casshern “killed” Luna, he somehow understood this as well, fell in love with her and lost his memories because of it, or something similar.

Also, bad things are going to happen to Ringo, with this episode I’m sure, due to one particularly nasty case of foreshadowing where Ringo’s legs stopped working (does that mean that she really is a robot?). When this is going to happen again, Ouji won’t be there to cover up and fix it. At first sight, it’s a bit irresponsible of him to just leave her like that, but I think that the reason why he’s decided to say goodbye to her is to be able to find the solution to the destruction as soon as possible, because he knows that she’s about to suffer from it.

1. Early on, I thought they were going for the “Ringo-is-the-child-of-Leda” idea, but in the end, that wasn’t it.

I don’t agree with your assessment of Dio. I think he’s already started to care (more) about something else other than himself and his obsession with always being in second to Casshern; Leda. Sure, he made that awesome save back in Ep. 10, but up until the previous episode, he’s been rather passive towards his relationship with Leda. By the way, him suddenly carrying her was a nice touch.

I think what you said about Casshern and Leda’s emotional stability is also true for Dio and Leda. I could see Dio being more in control from hereon; while the opposite being for Leda, especially with that scar… that was a pretty bad move by Casshern that really could have been something else. But speaking of Casshern and Leda, Casshern’s losing to Leda too? What the…?

This is obviously “the Leda episode”. The next will be that “Lyuze episode” that I’ve been looking forward to. I was hoping this is going to be a “swimsuit episode”, with the beach and all… But that’s ok. Something better’s in store. :D

2. aegd says:

“I can’t imagine anyone who fits that bill, other than that the children somehow misheard about either Dune’s or Braiking Boss’ death or something.”

We didn’t get a name, but during the episode they did say that he was a researcher. It’s pretty safe to say that these “children” were never born, but created. They just happen to call their creator “father”.

“Ouji’s research did succeed, apparently”

I don’t think it’s the same research. Ouji worked for breakin boss, the researcher(s) spoken about in this episode wasn’t Ouji, but most likely a human. I’m guessing that Leda was promised by the reasearchers to be able to bear children, but the research somehow failed and Leda lost the child in the process. Leda then killed the researcher(s) “消してあげるは、私におろかな夢を見せた。。。あの科学者のように!”

Also I think Leda is well aware what love means, but she simply only loves her self and wish to live forever and have her beauty be a permanent thing, unaffected by the “ruin”

Furthermore, the thing in the basement was a グラス揺りかご “glass craddle”. A craddle is something you put a born child in, so chances are she actually birthed the child before it died.

Leda also goes on saying (while holding her belly)

グラスの揺りかごとは、なんて儚く、なんておろかなでしょうね

“A glass craddle, such a fleeting, foolish notion”

I can’t translate the japanese very well, but this is pretty much Leda thinking back on the past and reflecting how foolish she the hope of bearing and having a child” I’m thinking that this failure and her hatred for the researchers has pretty much made her a self-centered person who only really cares for her own well-being.

At the end of the episode was Ouji says

それはたぶん、あの子らの生みの親が作ったルナのナノの細胞そのもの。

“That is most likely Luna’s nano-cell an item created by those children’s creator”

Puh, this is getting long. One last comment.

“Also, bad things are going to happen to Ringo, with this episode I’m sure, due to one particularly nasty case of foreshadowing where Ringo’s legs stopped working (does that mean that she really is a robot?).”

I don’t know if I agree. It could be just that they want to show that Ringo is more human-like, and that she grows and develops like a human should. Kids growing up often have poor body control and I think that the creators were trying to show that.

3. “And now that I think about it, all of the robots feelings we’ve seen so far in the random stories were despair, admiration, obsession and fascination, but no romantic feelings. Luna herself somehow did understand the concept, and when Casshern “killed” Luna, he somehow understood this as well, fell in love with her and lost his memories because of it, or something similar. ”

—> I totally wish you are right about this *_*

4. CASSHERNxLYUZE says:

But it’s Ohji who created Leda. And it was Ohji who wanted to create robots that can reproduce like humans.

5. Machi says:

As I’ve said Leda is my favorite, and now it shows she can fight. I still think she may be final boss material, if she does go psycho (though from the looks of it she already seemed somewhat imbalanced just that she was hiding it I’m guessing her true colors showed when she started threatening those kids.) In any case go Leda~

6. Chino F. says:

Probably to make a robot into a human, Ohji had to take a human and turn them into a robot – a cyborg. But while this isn’t clear yet, all we see in the series so far are bleeding robots.

7. TJ says:

This episode confirmed what we all suspected: Leda is a narcissistic b**ch who really just wants immortality to herself. She’s not going to get it though (unless Casshern and co somehow manages to save everybody). For some reason she just thinks it’s better helping Dio than Casshern.

I thought Ringo’s legs might have stopped working because her feet got cold, which doesn’t necessarily mean that she’s a robot. She does have some robotic parts at her hairline though from earlier episodes.

8. CASSHERNxLYUZE says:

To be honest, Leda being only after her own immortality all along never really occured to me until some people started talking about it here. (I haven’t seen the subbed vid of this episode yet.)

It seems that “immortality” may just be the central idea of this series. I mean, there has been a constant mention of it right from the start, but it has never really been the focus of the story.

9. Machi says:

Well CXL I wouldn’t be that surprised about the immortality part, after all before the whole ruin it did seem they were all pretty much immortal (robots for obvious reasons and humans had medical technology). But thanks to the ruin things have gone topsy turvy and now everyone is scared of dying for the first time, wouldn’t be surprised that Leda wanted immortality.

10. CASSHERNxLYUZE says:

Yeah, when you think about it, what else could a narcissist in their situation possibly desire? But I’ve never thought of Leda as a narcissist before.

I’ve just seen the subbed vid… Wow. Dio knew Leda’s going to do something tedious and ugly. Well, there’s one way of walking away from something like that. It also leaves plenty of room to make a cool save later, like what he did.

So it turns out that Luna’s also a robot. I guess that makes all the main characters either a robot or a kind of cyborg – none fully human/organic.

11. Machi says:

I don’t think she was narcissistic more of completely emotionally scared by the loss of her baby, and I’m guessing that’s why she wants immortality after losing her baby my theory would be that she got frightened of death (didn’t seem like dying was pretty common). And Leda does mention scientists, I’ll just guess that Ohji was the pioneer but there was other scientists that worked on the project (Leda was probably flawed so she didn’t get to push through giving birth).

It was pretty shocking to see her snap after being reminded of her pregnancy. Casshern sure got beaten up, just imagine if Leda actually had her own berserk mode like Casshern and Dio she’s be pretty strong. This definitely was a good episode, and a totally unexpected twist on Leda. Now, after Lyuze’s episode I’m hoping the series will now focus on explaining the ruin, Ringo is probably a key to solving it so I’m sure she’ll get explained along the way.

12. Chino F. says:

Nice episode. Something major happened here. They got a colored rock. haha

Seriously. There are a lot of mystical elements here. The robots seemed magical rather than technology. But that’s interesting. I agree, the beginning was a real surprise. That was a VERY different Leda there. And what really happened to her baby has yet to be revealed. I wonder if it’s actually Ringo.

All it took was a scar to Leda’s face to stop her attacking. Mirror, mirror on the wall, who’s the vainest robot of them all? hehe

13. CASSHERNxLYUZE says:

@ Machi:
    This episode specifically highlighted her obsession with her own beauty. There’s been a lot of robots in the series who were afraid to die, but none of them exhibited a worship of their perceived physical aesthetic value of themselves like Leda did.

I think it’s more of, she became distrustful of everyone else because she believes her trust was betrayed in something that was very important to her; and that led to believing that the only person she could really count on is herself; which in turn led to an excessive love of self.

Nice episode. Something major happened here. They got a colored rock. haha

Maybe it’s some kind of “Philosopher’s Stone”.

That occured to me as well. If it is, they’re doing a good job of keeping it under wraps. The only connection between Ringo and Leda so far is that Ringo was “accepted” by the girl with the Judgement Eye, while Leda was “rejected”. Everyone else was pretty much ignored.

Well, she’s got something to be vain about. I’ve seen narcissists who don’t have the appearance to go with their shitty personality trait.

14. Chino F. says:

This ep though presented us with more clues that also give us questions, but it moves the story well forward. That secret jewel and what Oji is going to do is something to wonder about next ep.

15. geejun says:

Does anyone has any idea what is the title of the song when the kid brought out LUNA nano cells? Its really nice and if anyone has any idea please tell me. Appreciate it a whole lot

What I acutally find worse are series that make that canon and it happens all the time (not only in anime). Usually female/male though. I have nothing against romance but I hate how proper friendships between men and women can't exist in cartoons/anime. It's so common in real life but media acts if it was an alien concept to them. Maybe because of the target audience I don't know.
I think these pairing of friends aren't just the fault of crazy fans, it's because anime often has a problem depticting friendships. Almost all friendships (at least those among girls) are fetishized to no end in order to either add ecchi or cute ambivalent scenes, and people get used to that. There are good examples of friendships, Rakugo is one, a current one would be Sora Yori, but it's rare.
Interesting that it's being updated to modern America though, I imagine the crime figures have changed alot though.
But I don't like sexualize Banana fishe's protag given how theres line in the manga later on that and I somewhat paraphrase where he speaks of the villain "I can't even remember the number of times Dino Golzine raped me"
Coincidentially as we're on this topic, I just watched the pv for that josei action series Banana fish coming out in July and from skimming the manga years ago , people will be insinuating a relationship between the two leads when its left ambiguous, even though the protaganist has homosexual leanings.
Anonymous1836963 - Well according to some bl tropes, women are built into those stories to block the pairing advances. There's also the one off character that isn't romantically inclined but popular like Floppy in MHA or Bulma in Dragon Ball. I do think it's bad when like in Kingdom Hearts, Sora cries for Riku and was just ok with reuniting with Kairi.
@AK Me again. Watch the epilogue in the last ep of Korra S3!
Anyway, basically we agree, I simply say that with Korra, it's explainable and non-invasive. Like, you'll always have romance shoehorned into mainstream series and Asami >>>>> Mako.
What, women cant be gay?
@Anon, that's not true. They can still get beat up in order to inspire the boys to fight harder.
It's why Sasuke/Naruto never happened. They had to keep Sakura relevant.
If everyone in Anime were gay, there would be absolutely no use for women in any shonen plot. Sad but true.
The push to make Rakugo into a gay relationship has always annoyed me.
Feck, I re-read it, shows how shit my memory is.
@Kaiser, No I didn't. I pretty much ruled it out it as early as episode three. I stated that people thought it and mentioned that it could lead to some interesting story developments. But I made it clear I didn't like the idea and felt it cheapened their bond.
Lies it was hulk and iron man not hulk and black window....I mean jesus come oooon like =P
Some crack pairings can be extremely silly.
@Aidan: And I said it after remembering ages ago you said the same about guts and griffith and how people cheapened that relationship.
@Aidan: I also stated that yesterday.
@Aidan: In fairness initially some of us, yourself included thought he might of been at first before it was clear he wasn't gay.
Truth be told, it pisses me off. It takes a bond of much deeper meaning and reduces it down to something far more simplistic and primal. Can't be that these two hold a trust for one another that's beyond simple biology. Nope, THEY WANNA BONE.
But then again, the internet often over interprets friendship as sexual attraction. During Rakugo's airing I see people absolutely convinced that Yakumo was gay. Evidence? One bath scene apparently from his POV which made it seem like he was checking out Sukeroku and the fact that the author made a lot of BL. Other than that, nothing.
Then again, romance in this series was always the worst written part. So many spontaneous relationships.
Alright maybe you can make the arguement that later down the line while traveling they gained romantic feelings for each other. I can somewhat buy that. But there, in the last few minutes of the series? Hell no.
To me it's like the Hulk and Black Widow romance. They had literally no real interaction and yet the internet somehow decided they were a couple. Then they tried to crowbar into the second avengers movie and it was just as awkward and out of place as you would expect.
@Anon, Nah I don't see it. The two did really have that much interaction. Sure they got closer as seasons went on but never to a romantic level. At best it was about decent friends. Friendship I understand but that does not lead to romance. Both Korra and Asami had heterosexual relationships and no evidence shows them being bi or getting interested in swinging for the other fence.
Yes, it was pandering, but it can be explained and it does make sense. I could complain about many things (like the random pairings), but Asami-Korra is definitely not among them.

PS: Korra was very feministic show, I wonder what's all that about.
Asami was strangely always getting the short end of the stick (no power, noone to lean on... and it was aggravating to see no character to care). They were both betrayed enough times to get scarred and they both realized that (the one) constant around them is their friendship.
@AK I dont consider Legend of Korra a well written show, but it does some things pretty well. Asami-Korra pairing certainly did not come out of nowhere (e.g. S3 last ep) and it makes sense as well.
Right in the KOKORO =O
**larger half of
*episode
For the better half of this weeks after the rain episodes, I was sitting around just watching it do its thing, the second half of the episode particularly near the end was the show at one of of its stronger visual moments and certainly going for the most effecting emotional angle its put out thus far in a way that finally caught me.
I don't consider Makishima a great villain but one thing I found fantastic was him getting taken off guard by a sudden attack. Loads of anime criminal masterminds somehow plan for every single little detail no matter how unlikely. But this was one case that shows you could plan for ten years and nothing would prepare you for getting suddenly bashed over the head with a motorcycle helmet.
Makishima is a fantastic villain
Kaiser-Eoghan - I think the closest might be Makishima Shogo in Psycho Pass. Just in the opposite sense, showing how flawed an absolutistic system is. Also a scene from that anime, that subverts the notion of how people are shocked by violence.
@Aidan: Moreso than the girls death obsession, I thought the stuff with the mother in the first chapter of yakedo has the potential to go in a more messed up way.
But he fails miserably and no one learns from his crimes.
Why can't there be a BENEVOLENT killer character that commits horrible acts solely to shock people and show how horrifying those acts are, out of the delusion that it will inspire a reflection and change in people to NOT, to NEVER do those things.
*higher
Maybe an abused character is a servant in a historical setting with a hierarchy, trapped in societal rules and defeats the obsession with the attacker and raises up against the class system/character of hire social standing that abused them.
Perhaps the cannibal killer character in the story has abandonment, severe paranoia and lonliness issues and sees his crimes as taking people inside him so they'll never leave him.
of psychological depth instead?
For the willingness to throw messed up stuff into stories, I wouldn't mind seeing an analysis thrown in, doing a story about a cannibal character? How about instead of just a gore fest, get inside is head and ask, why does he do this? I hate Ntr and its used as a throwaway turn-on involving rape eroticism, but is there any any way that a story involving that could be framed with some sense
Back on to stuff like goblin slayer, they can take out the rape scenes I wouldn't miss them, although I find them less uncomfortable, BECAUSE they are shown as how wrong rape is, instead of say a doujin playing it up for titilation .
Despite all the talking up of tsunderes, I actually love kuuderes, in the end probably the biggest reason is for how flat chested they are.
Slapstick violence always plays second to dry, dark, screwball or surreal humour.
Bokusen
Also, on tsunderes, me too. I can't stand people using physical violence on someone unless it's in self-defense, or a Fate-type scenario where they all know everyone is trying to kill everyone else. Random physical violence played up as comedy is the worst.
Bokusen
@Kaiser Ah, so it was referring to bondage. I was skimming through posts and must've missed that. Bondage still creeps me out a bit, but if it's a fetish thing I can at least understand the whole exaggerated gender roles thing.
In regards to Tsunderes, yep that was a bad choice of words there Kaiser. But over time I have come to find Tsunderes more agavating. Tsunderes like Rin are fine but those that beat the crap out of the guy they like and are expected to be forgiven cause they get embarrassed can go straight to hell.
Also who cares who Korra ends up with? She a goddamn horrible character. I hated her so much.
Korra was a show that had love realistionships come out of nowhere(And not well written in general) but that one really was just pandering to the Korra/Asami shippers. Not sure where the hell that ship came from to begin with.
I agree Aidan, the love at the end of Korra came out of Left field really
@Bokusen: It was inappropriate and I shouldn't have said it.
Heck one of the reasons I prefer seeing another character with another character or a character simply on their own in a fetish situation is because I can distance myself from it and not feel like I'm touching anything/one.
If anything I meant role reversal.
@Bokusen: I apologize, reading it back it sounds terrible, I was actually referring to bondage where the tsundere pretends to hate it initially but consents .
@Bokusen: I should state clearly that that is merely a fantasy. The anger on both sides makes it easier because even if things became more physical or intimate it would feel more distant if the talking part was she and myself saying how much we hated it , despite actualily liking it.
Bokusen
"The thing is I utterly hate the personalities of tsundere characters in bitch/dom mode, sends me into a fervor to put them in their place." OK, reading that just creeped me out.
@Kaiser, well you like screwed up stuff so no surprise.
Try Yakedo Shoujo. Get the feeling you will like that one quite a bit.
@Anon, Legend of Korra? There was no yuri in that one. No evidence whatsoever. They just had Korra and Asami walk into some light and then announced them gay over twitter. Honesty I didn't see it in the show itself.
@Aidan: Also was it you that recommended happy sugar life to me? That was a pretty good psychological horror manga.
@Aidan: Going back several messages, I kind of liked goblin slayer oddly.
Kaiser-Eoghan - Read Sakuranbo Syndrome.
@Mario: At the same time I really think more series like after the rain need to come out, showing more sensitive approaches.
Nudity/sex just isn't used functionally well enough or dramatically as it should. Come on, give us a story about passionette characters, sensual/erotic rather than only porn. Or do a scums wish where miserable people are doing it because saaaaad.
kuuchuu is really one of those things I need to re-watch, I became so much more open to weirder shows in the past number of years than I would have been ages ago.
I think my excuse in hentai, is that despair, and subjugation adds drama to a very simple thing. Though Dawn of the Silver Dragon may be the peak of objectification.
Sure, np, though I must be off. Again, nice to chat casually. Been off forums for a while. Bye.
PS: thank you gift for anyone not familiar https://myanimelist.net/anime/6774/Kuuchuu_Buranko?q=kuuchuu
Lets talk about the spring 2018 anime season chart: http://anichart.net/spring-2018
Mods, I'm sorry for hostaging/dominating the chat like this I'll change subject.
I do think official/canon pairings of characters make more sense definitely, non-canon ones can kind of cheapen characters.
I really really want to say though, I totally am not okay with rape in hentai though and I don't like 50 shades of grey.
To get off this subject, funny little random memory here of reading manga in public, back when I was still into fate, some street person sat down next to me and saw a picture of berserk and said "Oh, he's quite ripped isn't he"
@Anon could be
@Kaiser Srsly youd hate Young's Aflame Inferno - narcissistic manipulative elite MC guy plays a sub to a playful manipulative OP demon woman. I love that so much..!
The old artists valued some interesting takes on beauty too, all of those middle aged larger bodies.
Someone has read this and gone off and done an Akira x Satan devilman doujin haven't they?
On the beauty and the beast thing, I wonder if characters like Elias from Mahouyome will become more popular. Monsterboys might end up catching on.
Anonymous1832214 - I think so, I mean we paint angels following that idea.
Thx for the talk guys (and girls). Btw. I'm the guy with weird nicks, Evaluation, Strength, Victim, etc in case anyone's wondering.
I think regarding role switching and whether I prefer being dom or sub is definately based on which gender I'm playing, this goes back to the cliches of girl=the submissive character man=is the non-submissive.
There's something about androgynous features, is there?
accept of course for the sensei, who looks like one-punchman.
Seems consistent with your preferences towards domination. Open your heart more and feel the love. They cant help themselves. They need you to get it out. Why not play the mature person, not play the game and accept their flawed selves?
Specifically due the ambiguity.
Houseki's character designs and art is fascinating.
I like the idea of women pretending to be men and men pretending to be women. Not necessarily transgender, just in the sense of playing the role like Hercules and Diomedes.
Hating them makes it easier/better aswell.
I wouldnt mind being a dominated by a (good-hearted) Pandora. So I guess I have no idea how you can even say that...
Lol now we're getting into liking certsin things because their so non-pc =P
The idea of me taking on a female role and being dominated by a woman is bizzare to me , taking on a female role and being dominated by a man, yes.
Yeah got it. Like Senjougahara? Lol.
But she still holds on to the delusion that she's in control.
Wait, to be more specific, I was saying I liked the idea of making a tsundere girl submit, with the tsundere becoming the sub.
Youngs manga work better than say, something like ikkitosen/highschool dxd/seikon no qwaser/highschool of the dead because they go all out with the exploitation .
I do see a correlation between the feminine guys in yaoi and the token girls in otome. I swear I don't get why otome and other young girl series, like to play the bad boy and misogynistic treatment of women. I think they we might have lost the point in Beauty and the Beast.
Kaiser... do you know Im Dal Young's manga? Freezing, Unbalance x Unbalance, etc. He often puts the women in the dominant role. He's gotta have a thing for it. I love that.
I think going back to the complaints of yuri on ice not having enough bite to it, its the same as the fanservice in josei manga with the ambiguous bromances.
I'm a really pretentious guy, I love going into the psychology of it all.
@Kaiser-Eoghan - As one teacher told me, the most memorable characters are the contradictory ones.
The western side often feels more tokenistic at times.
@Anon: The feminine male character exists as a safe zone for the female reader.
No wonder I enjoyed haru deiteita so much, it did the reversal thing.
Yet people don't understand this when I say I find tsunderes attractive, what could be more appealing to me than a tsundere ending up losing the dominant role and becoming submissive?
@Kaiser-Eoghan - I think I like that dichotomy, because since manga is already androgynous one does accept it more. Especially since of anime thread the line of making their male characters submissive. Also in a more design sense it might be because there's a power dynamic at play. That's why there's also harassment.
I also agree that yuri is more established and accepted. Particularly in western media, which are starting to catch up? (lesbians everywhere...) Legend of Korra anyone?
@Anon: The weirdest thing is from my own perspective, when I play the female role in the relationship I understand taking on a more submissive role, yet in a male role, with a women I find being in a non-dominent role impossible.
@Kaiser I'm not going to defend KnM, valid points. Again, it's done enough. And - I have a thing for tragic/platonic love so KnM clicked...
Yuri can be cold, harsh and seduction is usually a weapon. Though a tiring trope is that most stories treat the couple as kind of sister type of affection. Or so I feel.
In terms of the pairings, my headcanon doesn't understand the petite-man thing in male to male relationships relationships/pairings , yet petit women I am obsessed with.
Kaiser-Eoghan - I do agree. I suppose for me or at least when I did start watching it, it felt more risque, since at least in media lesbians seem more accepted than gay or flamboyant men. So I think the draw for me might be emasculation, because of the uke and seme dynamic. It is said the reason for that is to project their female audiences in more of a dominant role or something like that.
Hmm, I watched few episodes of Sekaiichi Hatsukoi and it's the romance that turned me off. It's just plain secual harassment
In some way its easier to physically work it out mentally.
Which leads to the interesting phenomenon of fudanshiism.
The bizzarest thing is I am significantly more attracted to women than men yet find shounen-ai/yaoi more of a draw, while admitting the shoujo-ai/yuri stories out there are better.
@Anon: I recall actually liking the music in gravitation at one point.
As silly melodrama it was somewhat watchable.
I felt that a certain off colour scene with Chikane felt like character assassination.
But the characterization and mecha fights are particularly messy in kannazuki, especially bringing the manga into it where the villains didn't even get 1 second backstories and the framing of the art and panels is poor, with some of dialogue, at least in the dub sounding very silly.
Regarding kannazuki, I'm not going to doubt that it a kyoshiro aren't rip roaringly hilarious guilty pleasures, not that this dimnishes the anons take on the female lead.
KnM is trash anime, but very endearing and a treasure. I love it.

(Just passing by, I'm straight male with a thing for yuri genre).
And I think Gravitation is also because music is also part of the plot and not solely the romance. I think the last one I enjoyed was Love Stage but that only had a thing going with one side being biconfused. Though it didn't do anything with that.
Kannazuki no Miko has a heroine who readily accepts her feelings and is in a position where it is very difficult not to empathise. Her love seems very pure and to me is very rewarding to watch.
Kaiser-Eoghan - Yeah but then you have Utena, Aoi Hana, Noir, El Cazador de la Bruja, Madoka, and several other series that just happen to have lesbian couples. In terms of good or recognizable shounen ai, it's harder, since I think the most recognizable is Gravitation, followed by (maybe) the Nakamura ones (Seikachi Hatsukoi and his other series).
The manga is even worse than the anime.
There are truly terrible yuri series though I'm sure, no idea how Kannazuki no miko became a cult thing.
@Anon: Sadly there's too much rape in yaoi.
@Anon: Oh, the gender roles thing is terrible in those things. Plenty of gay men are masculine irl.
Borrowed from Japanese 百合 (yuri, “lily”), by analogy to 薔薇 (bara, “rose”), indicating gay men.
Shoujo AI and even Yuri, are more romance than eros. There could be like 10 or more chapters without any intimate action and I suppose that's also part in why yuri tends to achieve better stories.
Also the formula is so transparent that one scrolls to the end, to see ehem, the good part.
And finally like the typical chick flick there's rarely anything important beyond the relationship. I even say those who try a little may be the better ones in this genre.
Now you know what you should expect. Because that's the issue. In Shounen Ai or Yaoi for the most part. Secondary characters have no issue with these relationships. Second problem is that the couple both are put in the male and female part of the relationship.
In defense of yaoi. Do anyone know the meaning behind that word? From Japanese やおい (yaoi), an acronym of Yama nashi, ochi nashi, imi nashi (ヤマなし、オチなし、意味なし), "no climax, no point, no meaning
I'm actually not even overly interested in either show.
But yes, its stupid that yuri on ice didn't go all the way.
I believe citrus is actually aim at girls, going by the magazine its serialized in.
And a yuri manga would probably be more explicit than shoujo-ai.
Well you're comparing shounen-ai to yuri , so of course citrus will be more explicit , just like yaoi would be more explicit than shounen-ai.
And I am not arguing that gay people can't have fanservice shows. As a matter of fact I am arguing why the bar is so much lower. Yuri on Ice has people fangirling over an "implied kiss" while I look over to the other side to see Citrus reaching second base.
@Anon, not say you can't like the show but it was queer baiting. The show was comical in how it it made it clear it's characters were gay but didn't even have the balls to show a kiss on screen. Meanwhile you have Citrus here showing two girls having full make out sessions without trouble. I have no interest whatsoever in seeing two men kiss but even I can admit that is bullshit.
interesting conversation. Must say I do not usually react much to the sexuality of characters in anime, but this is partly because I might not see the problem, or because most of the anime I watch have sexuality only incidentally.
Of course I don't want to dismiss the fact that hentai manga for gay men exists,if one wanted it there is seinen yaoi, ie Bara manga.
Which I attribute it to being less passive than just watching something.
I will say, I do think self-insertion is more effective in relation to videogames.
On this I as a bicurious man agree, when I read a romance story, I just want ad like a romance ore relationship story, its not special to me what the race or orientation of characters are.
My brother also felt that romance stories involving homosexual characters often falter in a space where the same sex pairing becomes more about pure novelty than just being a love story.
Imredjimmy, who posted on here as a user before, he himself homosexual had issues with yaoi manga, feeling that it didn't address issues properly.
He feels "All romance stories belong in the romance section and shouldn't be too categorized and that most yaoi/yuri isn't really for the homosexual audience"
Is it really fanservice for a homosexual audience though? I do find both male and female characters attractive as a bicurious man but it has to be admitted, shounen-ai and yaoi is really a thing for girls and bi men, I can admit that. My brother, a gay man is very critical of yaoi/shounen-ai as well as yuri/shoujo-ai.

After the Rain – 07 [Heavy Rain]

Dang it, this episode. Before you know it, a typhoon comes right in sweeping everything away. At first few minutes no one would never have guessed Ameagari evolve in such a complex way, even though we still know next to nothing about that Chihiro person. How should I take on the action of Kondou hugging […]

Violet Evergarden – 07 []

It’s a full-blown soap opera in this week’s Violet Evergarden, in more ways than one. On one side of the coin, we have a playwriting and a process of bringing a children story to life, the story that tied very well to his feeling towards his deceased daughter. On the other side of the coin, […]

A Place Further than the Universe – 08 [Howling, Maddening, Screaming]

Aah seasickness. It sure brings back some memory. I remember once I got so sick on the boat that I still had that hangover feeling several days afterward where every food into my mouth tasted like cat food. But enough about me and let’s talk about this week’s Universe, where our girls experience the toughness […]

Kokkoku – 6/7 [The Sixth/Seventh Moment]

Hello and welcome to another bi-weekly checkup of Kokkoku. This time we have one episode of action and mystery, while the other is the first dud of the season for Kokkoku. Apologies in advance, this is going to be a shorter one as there simply isn’t much to talk about. Lets jump in! To start […]

Fate/Extra Last Encore – 04[No Faith may King]

Well is it just going to be a thing from now on to have Nero take a bath in between floors? The large amount of Nero fanservice seems a bit of the excessive side and I feel like shaft is to blame for that. As a matter of fact now might be a good time […]

Darling in the Franxx – 06[Darling in the FranXX]

Today on Darling and the Franxx, Hiro pierces the heavens. Darling in the Franxx manages to carry itself on the action of this episode as it was quite the engaging spectacle. Nearly a constant episode of action which is bad news for me as these are often the hardest to blog. Animation remained pretty consistent […]

Junji Ito Collection – 07[Used Record/Town of No Roads]

This has to be the weirdest episode of this show yet. The first story was rather standard, namely about a record that causes people to become obsessed with it upon listening and seems to lead to the owner’s death. Not much to say about this one as what you see is what you get. I […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 19 [Any port in a storm]

Hello and welcome to a very… contentious episode of Mahoutsukai, at least for me. This week we have two halves of the same episode, with wildly different tones and quality. The first half being inconsistent and dull, while the second is interesting and successfully, but slowly, ramps up its tension. Overall concerning, but lets jump […]

After the Rain – 06 [Fine Rain]

This week is another light week in terms of central romance development between our leads, as the first half spends its time to Haruka, Tachibana’s childhood friend. Thank God, even with this segment that feels more like a side story, Ameagari still continues to hold up very well. Haruka always feels that she is left […]

Mary and the Witch’s Flower – 73/100 (Joint Review)

Wooper: Mary and the Witch’s Flower is the first feature film from Studio Ponoc, which spun off from Studio Ghibli in early 2015. Given Ghibli’s towering reputation, the bar was high for this inaugural flick, which recently made its way to U.S. theaters, giving Lenlo and I a chance to see it on the big […]

In This Corner of the World (2016) Movie Review – 90/100

In this Corner of the World (for the purpose of this review, I’ll refer it as “Corner”), is the truest slice of life drama if you ever encounter one, in that it’s a slice into an ordinary life of an ordinary girl during the War period. That speaks into the very first strength of Corner, […]

Houseki no Kuni (Fall 2017) Review – 92/100

Make no mistake, Houseki no Kuni is the most ambitious anime project of the year. Not only because it’s an entirely CG project (and make a damn good use of it, mind you), or because of its narrative scope that at once strange, grand and beauty, but also in its very conception in their production […]

Fate/Apocrypha Anime Review – 64/100

I was quite excited for Apocrypha and in the so called year of Fate adaptations, it looked to be the crown jewel. Sadly, partly due to lacking adaption and the source lacking in areas, this anime turned out to be not quite the jewel I thought it would be. It’s hard to call this a […]

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World Anime Review – 73/100

One of the surprises of the year was to see the return of Kino’s Journey, a very well regarded and more unique anime among those deemed classic. Many, myself included, were very much looking forward to the return of Kino and her talking Motorrad. Though due to some factors this series doesn’t quite live up […]

Girls’ Last Tour (Fall 2017) Review – 86/100

Girls’ Last Tour falls within my favorite new trend that emerging the anime medium over the last decade: a dark moe anime. Set in a post-apocalyptic world where the human race has almost extinct, our two girls wandering around the world in their kettenkrad looking for food and shelter. If it sounds a bit bleak […]

Two tales of War: Reviewing The Heroic Legend of Arslan and Altair: A Record of Battles

It would not be an exaggeration to say that my favorite type of anime is the political-military epic. This comes partly out of my profession, I study war and politics, but also my hobby, as military and political history is something I enjoy. When it comes to anime there is a clear sub-category that can […]

The Night is Short, Walk On Girl (2017) Movie Review – 92.5/100

“How many decades have passed since our drinking contest?” “It hasn’t been that long. It was only a few hours ago, this very night!” That gap in time perceiving plays a significant role in Night is Short. For you see, it all depends on how our perception of the surroundings and time itself can affect […]

Ballroom e Youkoso Review – 65/100

In the weeks leading up to the summer 2017 season, Ballroom e Youkoso was one of the most buzzed-about new series. Produced by the Production I.G. team responsible for the smash hit Haikyuu!!, and set to air on Amazon’s brand new Anime Strike service, the series had no shortage of promotion or hype behind it. […]