Posted by psgels on 29 January 2009 with categories: Casshern Sins

Short Synopsis: Our cast arrives at the place where Luna supposedly was born.
Overall Enjoyment Value: 8,5/10 (Awesome)
Nothing short of an awesome episode. Not only does Leda finally get her development, turning her from a dull character into a great one, it also pushes the plot also gets pushed into an entirely new direction.

So, let me get this straight: Leda once was pregnant!? So Ouji’s research did succeed, apparently. If I understood things correctly, she entrusted her child to Luna, who would grow it in some sort of artificial womb (probably to guarantee the survival of the infant), but along the way something went wrong and her child died. It turns out that she was after some sort of secret that Luna left behind. I’m not yet sure for what kind of motive, but in this episode when she’s this close to attaining it, she simply loses control of herself. I’m beginning to think that Casshern and Leda’s emotional stability are inversely proportionate to each other: Casshern has calmed down a lot since the first few episodes (as noted by Luna and Ouji in this episode), while the only emotional support Leda received was from a power-hungry Dio.

In the end, this “secret” was hidden inside three child robots, that Luna left behind at her birthplace. At this point, we’re not sure what its purpose is, but Ouji is going to find out. For that, however, he was forced to break up with Ringo, which made for a really emotional break-up scene between the two. I also wonder: those children referred to Luna as their mother, but also talked about a father, who has long since died. I can’t imagine anyone who fits that bill, other than that the children somehow misheard about either Dune’s or Braiking Boss’ death or something. Also, that one comparison they made with Leda and Luna is also very interesting, hinting that there’s much more to Leda still.

Also, this part is what I’m a bit unsure about, but if I’m not mistaken those children also revealed something about the concept of immortality in this series: if you want to be immortal, you’ve got to know the meaning of “love”. If this is true, then it does explain a few things: Leda herself can’t understand that concept, so despite her wishes to be immortal that became apparent in this episode, she’s never going to attain her goal. Dio himself is stuck with such a woman, so the concept of love also shouldn’t occur with him. And now that I think about it, all of the robots feelings we’ve seen so far in the random stories were despair, admiration, obsession and fascination, but no romantic feelings. Luna herself somehow did understand the concept, and when Casshern “killed” Luna, he somehow understood this as well, fell in love with her and lost his memories because of it, or something similar.

Also, bad things are going to happen to Ringo, with this episode I’m sure, due to one particularly nasty case of foreshadowing where Ringo’s legs stopped working (does that mean that she really is a robot?). When this is going to happen again, Ouji won’t be there to cover up and fix it. At first sight, it’s a bit irresponsible of him to just leave her like that, but I think that the reason why he’s decided to say goodbye to her is to be able to find the solution to the destruction as soon as possible, because he knows that she’s about to suffer from it.

1. Early on, I thought they were going for the “Ringo-is-the-child-of-Leda” idea, but in the end, that wasn’t it.

I don’t agree with your assessment of Dio. I think he’s already started to care (more) about something else other than himself and his obsession with always being in second to Casshern; Leda. Sure, he made that awesome save back in Ep. 10, but up until the previous episode, he’s been rather passive towards his relationship with Leda. By the way, him suddenly carrying her was a nice touch.

I think what you said about Casshern and Leda’s emotional stability is also true for Dio and Leda. I could see Dio being more in control from hereon; while the opposite being for Leda, especially with that scar… that was a pretty bad move by Casshern that really could have been something else. But speaking of Casshern and Leda, Casshern’s losing to Leda too? What the…?

This is obviously “the Leda episode”. The next will be that “Lyuze episode” that I’ve been looking forward to. I was hoping this is going to be a “swimsuit episode”, with the beach and all… But that’s ok. Something better’s in store. :D

2. aegd says:

“I can’t imagine anyone who fits that bill, other than that the children somehow misheard about either Dune’s or Braiking Boss’ death or something.”

We didn’t get a name, but during the episode they did say that he was a researcher. It’s pretty safe to say that these “children” were never born, but created. They just happen to call their creator “father”.

“Ouji’s research did succeed, apparently”

I don’t think it’s the same research. Ouji worked for breakin boss, the researcher(s) spoken about in this episode wasn’t Ouji, but most likely a human. I’m guessing that Leda was promised by the reasearchers to be able to bear children, but the research somehow failed and Leda lost the child in the process. Leda then killed the researcher(s) “消してあげるは、私におろかな夢を見せた。。。あの科学者のように!”

Also I think Leda is well aware what love means, but she simply only loves her self and wish to live forever and have her beauty be a permanent thing, unaffected by the “ruin”

Furthermore, the thing in the basement was a グラス揺りかご “glass craddle”. A craddle is something you put a born child in, so chances are she actually birthed the child before it died.

Leda also goes on saying (while holding her belly)

グラスの揺りかごとは、なんて儚く、なんておろかなでしょうね

“A glass craddle, such a fleeting, foolish notion”

I can’t translate the japanese very well, but this is pretty much Leda thinking back on the past and reflecting how foolish she the hope of bearing and having a child” I’m thinking that this failure and her hatred for the researchers has pretty much made her a self-centered person who only really cares for her own well-being.

At the end of the episode was Ouji says

それはたぶん、あの子らの生みの親が作ったルナのナノの細胞そのもの。

“That is most likely Luna’s nano-cell an item created by those children’s creator”

Puh, this is getting long. One last comment.

“Also, bad things are going to happen to Ringo, with this episode I’m sure, due to one particularly nasty case of foreshadowing where Ringo’s legs stopped working (does that mean that she really is a robot?).”

I don’t know if I agree. It could be just that they want to show that Ringo is more human-like, and that she grows and develops like a human should. Kids growing up often have poor body control and I think that the creators were trying to show that.

3. “And now that I think about it, all of the robots feelings we’ve seen so far in the random stories were despair, admiration, obsession and fascination, but no romantic feelings. Luna herself somehow did understand the concept, and when Casshern “killed” Luna, he somehow understood this as well, fell in love with her and lost his memories because of it, or something similar. ”

—> I totally wish you are right about this *_*

4. CASSHERNxLYUZE says:

But it’s Ohji who created Leda. And it was Ohji who wanted to create robots that can reproduce like humans.

5. Machi says:

As I’ve said Leda is my favorite, and now it shows she can fight. I still think she may be final boss material, if she does go psycho (though from the looks of it she already seemed somewhat imbalanced just that she was hiding it I’m guessing her true colors showed when she started threatening those kids.) In any case go Leda~

6. Chino F. says:

Probably to make a robot into a human, Ohji had to take a human and turn them into a robot – a cyborg. But while this isn’t clear yet, all we see in the series so far are bleeding robots.

7. TJ says:

This episode confirmed what we all suspected: Leda is a narcissistic b**ch who really just wants immortality to herself. She’s not going to get it though (unless Casshern and co somehow manages to save everybody). For some reason she just thinks it’s better helping Dio than Casshern.

I thought Ringo’s legs might have stopped working because her feet got cold, which doesn’t necessarily mean that she’s a robot. She does have some robotic parts at her hairline though from earlier episodes.

8. CASSHERNxLYUZE says:

To be honest, Leda being only after her own immortality all along never really occured to me until some people started talking about it here. (I haven’t seen the subbed vid of this episode yet.)

It seems that “immortality” may just be the central idea of this series. I mean, there has been a constant mention of it right from the start, but it has never really been the focus of the story.

9. Machi says:

Well CXL I wouldn’t be that surprised about the immortality part, after all before the whole ruin it did seem they were all pretty much immortal (robots for obvious reasons and humans had medical technology). But thanks to the ruin things have gone topsy turvy and now everyone is scared of dying for the first time, wouldn’t be surprised that Leda wanted immortality.

10. CASSHERNxLYUZE says:

Yeah, when you think about it, what else could a narcissist in their situation possibly desire? But I’ve never thought of Leda as a narcissist before.

I’ve just seen the subbed vid… Wow. Dio knew Leda’s going to do something tedious and ugly. Well, there’s one way of walking away from something like that. It also leaves plenty of room to make a cool save later, like what he did.

So it turns out that Luna’s also a robot. I guess that makes all the main characters either a robot or a kind of cyborg – none fully human/organic.

11. Machi says:

I don’t think she was narcissistic more of completely emotionally scared by the loss of her baby, and I’m guessing that’s why she wants immortality after losing her baby my theory would be that she got frightened of death (didn’t seem like dying was pretty common). And Leda does mention scientists, I’ll just guess that Ohji was the pioneer but there was other scientists that worked on the project (Leda was probably flawed so she didn’t get to push through giving birth).

It was pretty shocking to see her snap after being reminded of her pregnancy. Casshern sure got beaten up, just imagine if Leda actually had her own berserk mode like Casshern and Dio she’s be pretty strong. This definitely was a good episode, and a totally unexpected twist on Leda. Now, after Lyuze’s episode I’m hoping the series will now focus on explaining the ruin, Ringo is probably a key to solving it so I’m sure she’ll get explained along the way.

12. Chino F. says:

Nice episode. Something major happened here. They got a colored rock. haha

Seriously. There are a lot of mystical elements here. The robots seemed magical rather than technology. But that’s interesting. I agree, the beginning was a real surprise. That was a VERY different Leda there. And what really happened to her baby has yet to be revealed. I wonder if it’s actually Ringo.

All it took was a scar to Leda’s face to stop her attacking. Mirror, mirror on the wall, who’s the vainest robot of them all? hehe

13. CASSHERNxLYUZE says:

@ Machi:
    This episode specifically highlighted her obsession with her own beauty. There’s been a lot of robots in the series who were afraid to die, but none of them exhibited a worship of their perceived physical aesthetic value of themselves like Leda did.

I think it’s more of, she became distrustful of everyone else because she believes her trust was betrayed in something that was very important to her; and that led to believing that the only person she could really count on is herself; which in turn led to an excessive love of self.

Nice episode. Something major happened here. They got a colored rock. haha

Maybe it’s some kind of “Philosopher’s Stone”.

That occured to me as well. If it is, they’re doing a good job of keeping it under wraps. The only connection between Ringo and Leda so far is that Ringo was “accepted” by the girl with the Judgement Eye, while Leda was “rejected”. Everyone else was pretty much ignored.

Well, she’s got something to be vain about. I’ve seen narcissists who don’t have the appearance to go with their shitty personality trait.

14. Chino F. says:

This ep though presented us with more clues that also give us questions, but it moves the story well forward. That secret jewel and what Oji is going to do is something to wonder about next ep.

15. geejun says:

Does anyone has any idea what is the title of the song when the kid brought out LUNA nano cells? Its really nice and if anyone has any idea please tell me. Appreciate it a whole lot

@Helgast, while that fairly obviously hinted at, don't spoil future events.
HelghastKillzone
@Lenlo We are way past the stalemate of WW1 and onto this anime's interpretation of the Battle of Dunkirk. Season Two is gonna be fighting against the Brits, Americans, the French Resistance and the Soviets.
I did some reading up, since WW1 & 2 arnt the points in history im really into, and I get her anger now. If they get a second season, possible time skip to WW2 because of it?

The episode was great btw, she just seemed to come out relatively unscathed for what she went through
@Lenlo, It annoyed me that she got injured but then magically healed within the next scene but otherwise I loved the episode. It may be difficult to grasp in the show but if you know your history then you would realise just why Tanya was so bent out of shape. In truth this was Tanya's first major loss. One that renders her previous victories utterly worthless.
@Anon, Your gonna have to elaborate on that "Most." When it comes to the three shows I was covering this season I thought I was praising them quite a bit. Only thing really bothering me is Rakugo stretching out it's ending. Otherwise this is one of the best seasons of anime I have seen in quite a while.
Hell yeahh, OwariMonogatari will air next Summer season. I'm hyped. Thank you Shaft
But it's good to hear your opinions on that. Like you said, honest opinion is good so I hope to hear more from reader's comments
@Anon958618: We writers are here to give you readers our personal impressions, and of course if we don't like a show we'd give the reasons why we don't like it, we can't really say otherwise if we found an episode to be sub-par. Personally, I have nothing but praise on my posts to the point I think I have to be stricter :)
I used to like reading this blog, but I find that most of the posts now are overly negative. Although I think honest opinion is good, it's a bit of a turn off in my opinion for readers...
Its nice to see everyone grown up in Rakugo. Old Yotaro and Konatsu. Also, how in the heck is Matsuda stil alive. That man was old when Yakumo was young. Finally, people need to stop telling that story if its gonna haunt everyone, I mean jeez.
It's Tanya for me next ^^
It ends happily. But go and see the twist. They make it like the most natural thing of all
Watchin Rakugo next. It end well?
Tanya disappointed me alittle. There was a change to actually hurt Tanya, but nope, she still comes out of it unharmed. She hurt herself more when she blew herself up than when someone else blew her up. Least shes seemingly drunk on war.
so sad to see Rakugo end... And that little twist. How can they make that twist so poetic?
@Lenlo: me & Kaiser? We were talking about the movie Koe to Katachi/ A Silent Voice
I must have missed something, because I have no idea idea what is being talked about.
@Kaiser: I purposely put off the manga so I could watch the movie with fresh perspective. 2 weeks until we have a screening here
@kaiser: woah, thanks Kaiser. I know packaging a 6-volume manga into a feature film means they have to cut quite a lot of subplots, I just hope the main plot is going to be rewarding
Actually, there aren't that many manga that portray disabled characters, not even hentai.
@Mario: One of the people I got talking to after the film talked about Clannad and we both laughed about "what if Lars van Trier worked at Key"
Rakugo you are now on hold again until you end.
@Mario: I look forward to your review of it.
@Mario: There were, because I talked to the audience afterwards and looked around, people who weren’t familiar with anime there, so it does have a wider appeal.
While cheesy/melodramatic obviously its nonetheless heartfelt and well executed.
The voice actress for Shoko is required to well, I can only call it deaf-voice-talk and she pulls it off quite well, it’s never cringy or forced.
Comparatively to other anime dealing at any point with bullying this does fare better and because it’s animated by kyoani, visually it’ll catch interest. The protaganists regret and redemption story still remains a very watchable one/theme.
@Mario: Putting a voice on Kawai and Ueno will make you rage at them more.
While I didn’t think it was too bad/overly used, you’re going to have to do with the maudlin piano score Kyoani gives it.
@Mario: At 130 minutes it’s a little lengthy, especially for an anime film, there is the feeling of attempting to stuff in the manga, three subplots at least have been removed/shortened yet at the same time despite the skipping in parts it does still feel long/aimless. Based on that I did feel it flows better in manga format.
@Mario: @Mario: I just came home from seeing koe to katachi/silent voice. Can't really say enough to fill a review, but it gets the general 3 1/2 out of 5 from me.
Warning the next few posts contain words words words:
But I can take or leave Kaiju stuff.
Wheras Mothra was the most fun.
Aside from that, I've seen a few Godzilla films, Mothra vs Godzilla, shin Godzilla, Garth Edwards Godzilla, 90s American Godzilla and original 50s, the 90s one has aged horribly, the recent American one felt more faithful, the 50s one and the new Japanese one feel most socially relevent.
Wait...whah, why'd I get logged out I registered =<
I previously had no interest in a Godzilla Anime film. But after reading the concept here I am now very very interested: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-03-24/godzilla-anime-film-reveals-full-title-story-new-visual-november-premiere/.113863
@Kaiser: they are still around. And believe it or not the actual band members are Damon Albarn (former lead singer of Blur) taking care of all the music and Jamie Hewlett who taking of the animation. I love alternative music, I can enjoy hip-hop music and I'm a fan of animation => this band basically has everything I personally love
@Mario: Kaiser here, posting from public computer. I had no idea the gorillaz were still around, many years ago I would have listened to their Clint Eastwood song, aswell as dirty harry and feel good inc, I also remember the artstyle of their videos catching my attention.
Anyone here listen to Gorillaz? They're one of my favorite band and their new song Saturnz Barz is great. Excited for their coming album now
I guess I'm considering blood blockade also because I'm burnt out o demanding and old films to some extent.
@Kaiser: I really enjoyed the first season of Blockade. It's one of those cases where I think the delayed of the last episode killed all the exciment regarding the show. I actually fall behind and then catched up again as soon as the last episode was out so I enjoyed everything so much more
@Aidan: makes me really wonder why some of the studios are very uptight about their show's details. Like, they have to know if it is a short series or not, right.
Yet its not exactly a show that fits into being my thing.
Blood blockade battlefront is one of those shows that is always in the back of my head, despite negative biasI managed to at least enjoy some of gungrave, I grew up, sort of with trigun, so with blockade having Yuji Nightow involved theres always that part of me that says to watch blood blockade battlefront.
This is one of the annoying things about previews. You got o the trouble of looking it up and writing on it only for it to get delayed or turn out to be a short series.
ohh, Blood Blockade Battlefront moves back to October airing. I might have a chance to cover it after all. Though look at how it gets delay and the change of director, it yells more concerns than optimism
Yep, Manga is completed at 6 Volumes. But it's kinda weird that the series managed to cover 6 volumes when it's so slow paced. I normally thought that 5 to 6 episodes was needed to cover a manga volume on average.
@anon954341: ACCA will finish in 1 cour, as the manga is already completed and from what I heard episode 11 & 12 cover the last 5 chapters of the manga.
is Acca 13's story going to finish in 1 cour, or is it still ongoing?
Honestly do wonder how much longer anime blogging will be a thing and how much they have to compete with popular youtuber's channels.
I once had some idea of doing a forum with a friend, it never went anywhere.
Aidan gave good advice anon, I still found old posts from when I was teenager archived somewhere online and it made me facepalm.
Eh, I wanted to throw myself into Mario and your conversation about personalities by talking about myself, force of habit.
@Kaiser, Not sure what this rambling is about but good for you...I guess?
@Anon, Blogs take a lot of work for very little in return. I wouldn't try starting one unless you are ready to make a huge commitment. Besides at your age(Based on that comment) it would be best to not put too much on the internet. The internet never forgets and it can come back to haunt you later in life.
The reason I bring some of this up is because I think that even if someone isn't the most emotional person out there, they shouldn't ignore/bash on certain shows/genres because of that, even if you don't get feelings out of it, the story/drama/characters could still be worthwhile.
I do think getting pissed off though is much easier irl than doing it online where it doesn't bother me as much.
And it surprises me alot that I followed so many romance manga years ago, enjoyed them, but I've never been a romantic person irl at all.
I also hate incompetence/failure and am generally not especially patient.
I care about others and appearances mainly to extent it either is of benefit, if I have to or it avoids hassle.
People tend to think I'm cold, articulate, blunt irl too.
I'm not a sentimental or passionette/emotional person irl, I don't like wasting time with other peoples shit and don't bother with it, avoid looking at people or touching them physically, talk in long dry speeches and in general come off as a quiet, reserved but snarky/cynical person.
I probably unknowingly come off as different on this site than I would irl.
Honestly I'd veer towards depressing or surreal/strange/messed up work more out of just wanting to see weird and depressing stuff happen and little else, just interests me, I can't remember the last time I cried.
um i wanted to make my own blog but it wants a email but i dont want my parents finding out
It is weird how we never clash on what we want to cover on each season. Anyway I need someone to contrast my egotisical self so it's all good.
haha, Aidan: heartless grumpy monster & Mario: sentimental sappy bloke. Readers, you got yourself quite an odd combination of writers here.
Anonymous951955
We'll see; trailers can give false impressions
Anonymous951955
Not that all changes from source adaptations are terrible, but in this case, at least the trailer makes it look pretty bad.
Anonymous951955
It looks not great; I understand the need to change it a bit to suit the format/audience, but at what point does it turn from adaption to "loosely based on"?
HelghastKillzone
I'm glad we're past the phase of moe club shows.
@Helghast, now that's something I never thought I would hear.
HelghastKillzone
Hell ya. We are in a golden age of anime that is filled with options and quality.
What a great week! Iron Blooded Orphans, Onihei, Little Witch Academia and ACCA 13 all had great episodes! I am spoiled!
@Anon and @Aikan

The LoGH manga remake has been out. It did not work for me.

I hope he anime goes its own way. I do trust Production IG, so I hope. I think it might not be this year. No lgoic, just a hunch.
@Anon, Only info I can find is that it's coming out this year and it will be by Production IG. But I think you are right in that if it;s coming this year it will definitely be winter.
Feeling rather cautious about the remake myself. LoGH is dated visually but in a way it is a product of it's time and things you could forgive in the old version wouldn't be so forgivable in the new.
Does anybody know when that LoGH readaptation is coming? It's supposed to be this year right? Probably winter right?
But I will give it a full review anyways because all the amount of time I spent in that series should be paid off somehow, right?
But serious Gohands is a studio that had potential its just a shame its wasted on rubbish writers. Although I did like mardock scramble, because cyberpunk =)
If I met handshakers in public I'd refuse to shake its hand =D
Oh, it's actually just an extra Hand Shakers episode that serves as a prequel story. Not that bad then
Not to disregard Hand Shakers, but the best way to describe how I feel about that series is mind-numbing
They tried with that Military guy and his daughter but not by much.
But I do agree that there needs to be more to the characters, right now its JUST Tanya.
As for Tanya, having caught up with it, its a nice trashy guilty pleasure, especially due to the protagonist and I enjoy the setting because I'm a war film fan and like some of the action/politicking. I still do wish it was aesthetically a bit better. The dub isn't that bad and I'd welcome a second season.
In an ideal world Kino's journey would have been a good model for what light novel adaptations can be and SHOULD be.
If we must have more light novel adaptations, I would prefer them to be like Tanya, Muvluv, okay hardly breathtaking, but still better than that thing Aidan linked.
*Sigh* It looks exactly how I imagined it would and its terrible.
Please dont tell me thats an actual title.
In another world with my smart phone light novel to get an anime.

Oh my god...This literally sounds like a joke title you would see within an anime. Tried giving it an honest chance by reading it and it's just shit. Just pure terrible.
If people in Japan are actually buying blurays thinking its a good show then something is seriously wrong with the world.
@Topgavin, maybe too many people watched it because it was so terrible. I haven't watched past episode 1 but it doesn't sound like it improved.
Just incase you guys were avidly waiting for the announcement, Hand Shakers is getting a prequel season because it's apparently selling well......
Should be happy for it, though I'm a bit disappointed that I can't be able to cover it
Inside Mari gets live-action series adaptation. Why not anime?? Duh
Spike
Little Witch Academia finally tips it's hand on the overall plot! I'm pretty pleased and think some direction might help bump it up from just being 'good' overall.
HelghastKillzone
@KTravlos Still watching it week by week and I'll write up a review on the second season of Iron-Blooded when it ends.
@Mario: It is however the kind of anime film that would have the wide audience appeal though, as in anime for people who don't watch anime.
@Kaiser: just prove that people has paid attention to anime. That's an encouraging sign actually
Feck, silent voice was booked out when I got there just now....should have booked in advance, showing at 7:00 on Friday booking it now.
@KTravlos: I haven't, but that more because I'm not a big fan of Mecha genre. I believe one of our writer HelghastKillzone still follow the series
No idea, if you are all still watching MS Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans. I am, and while the 2nd Season toned down some of the elements that made the 1st Season good, it is still pretty good with the last episode doing a great job. If it keeps it, it definitely is head to head with Turn A Gundam for my favorite long-form Gundam Series (I am doing Gundam Origins for the original story)
Mhmm. It was one of those shows it weave adult themes into a kids show, so it had something for both. Now I can also appreciate the artstyle that doesnt use hard black outlines for everything.
If anything I get so much more out of Samurai Jack now than when I watched it as a kid.
Love that dude Aidan. And yes Kaiser, I think anyone get enjoy it now. I love that its back, but even without that its easily standing on its own
How much of this love of samurai jack is a nostalgia driven thing? I'm not knocking that nostalgia but would it be possible to get something out of the show now if I never watched it when I was younger?
Yeah, that conversation was great. Really shows you how messed up hes become. Its also amazing when you realize that was the last set of spoken dialogue in the episode. There was not a single word uttered in the second half.
The audience who enjoyed samurai Jack has grown up, them bringing up seppuku and blood is possibly a part of that.
Scene with the coffins was awesome as was the fight in the dark. My personal favorite part of the episode though was Jack arguing with his old design self. And young jack suggesting committing seppuku made my eyebrows raise. I mean..damn.
I agree Aidan. That quick shot of Jack vs the Daughter, with the sudden blood, suprised me as much as it did Jack. I really loved the scene with the coffins. The music nad sound was just great there.
@Lenlo, It was a really great episode. I love the meta of Jack being worn down by the wait and the wait the viewers had to endure for the new season. I is rather odd seeing blood in Samurai Jack though but it does make that particular moment have so much more impact.
April 16th for NZ. It is a lesser known movie than Kimi no na wa though, so I do wonder how available it's going to be in cinemas
This second episode of Jack was really just amazing. Its making full use of the new budget/tech for the art and of the new rating, along with the impact the timeskip would have on Jack. The cinematography was superb as well.
@Kaiser: Koe ko machi will creen in Aussie in the beginning of April as well. I'll go to watch it; but I would love to jear your thoughts on the movie.
There is a preview screening of koe to kachi on Monday night, depending I may go, I may review it or at least talk about it on here.
I'm dying waiting for the Blame! anime film adaptation to come out in May. I've wanted an adaptation for years.
And I'm too much of a cheap-ass to actually buy anything, don't even use legal streaming for films or anime/manga/comics, pirate almost everything.
Or shelves for that matter.
I've fallen out of the collectors thing pretty much entirely. I don't like to advertise any of my interests on my bedroom wall either.
Some years ago I ended up selling almost all of my anime dvds/vhs and manga, comic books aswell, took down my posters and moved what figures I had left into attic boxes , just no space for it and it was a good way to get some quick extra cash.
I love Rakugo as well, im not meaning to bad talk it at all. I simply also agree with Aiden that slow rolling us with Yakumo's death was poorly done and that its feeling stretched.
Nevermind, the $30 price tag made that decision for me
Weird how I see $8 movies on youtube as a ripoff yet a $90 series as a bargain. All these $300 box sets made me think it'd be in the hundreds. Wonder if I should get rebellion too
I'm still pretty much a fan of Rakugo this season. It goes much darker than the first season, something I didn't dare to think before consider this isYotaro's story. Would love to see more about rakugo's industry but this season does flesh out a lot of our core characters
I said it before but I'll bring it up again, the slow pace allows for, when big things happen to have a larger impact when they do.
*In
**and(not on) waiting for the series to finish
Season 1 showed a lot more, different periods and times, the development of Rakugo, the tragedy of Sukeroku & Miyokichi (or at least one version). In contrast, season 2 was basically about Sukeroku's legacy in the form of Yotaro and Konatsu and their kids, and Yakumo's relationship with death, changing from fatalistic to happiness over the course of the series.
I think it might be 13 episodes, the first season had 13.
To be honest, I understand your point: It's hard to actually describe what happened in season 2. I guess I became invested into Yakumo in season 1, and then warmed up to Yota and Konatsu in this season.
Yeah, I think they certainly could have compressed the front half of the season. There wasn't too much plot going on, but I enjoyed the characters and their interactions, so I didn't mind the deliberate pacing.
I still really like Rakugo, its really good, it just probably didnt need 12 episodes. That said, really lookin forward to the timeskip
@Mario: I've never actually seen any of Olivier Asayas' films come to think of it.
But going back to that dragging on, that did factor in almost making me hold off on waiting for the series to finish before going back. The anon's comment was what got me to watch this weeks episode right now rather than waiting till later.
Rakugo remains at this point still going in too long, but in fairness to the anon, yes the episodes conclusion was effective on emotional level and I bought into the dreamy atmosphere, largely due to the good cinematography the series uses.
Really? Im torn. Im glad they didnt bait and switch us again, but I always liked how grounded Rakugo was so im not sure how ok I am with the supernatural part and some of it felt like fanservice in regards to bringing characters back. The VA though is fantastic as always and I am definitely looking forward to this last timeskip. Cant wait to see the kids grown up.
Rakugo was otherworldly today. Not going to lie, was fighting tears back, but failed at the end.
@Topgavin: the bluray goes by region as well so you can only buy it in Australia/NZ region (region 4). For Madoka I still find it easiest to just go to JB Hi Fi and buy it. Sometimes I find it cheaper from JB Hi Fi than even their original distribution company.
@Topgavin, I ordered my Madoka bluray's from Amazon.co.uk.
Where do you guys buy your merch? Was looking into buying the Madoka blurays but can't find a reliable place to ship to NZ.
@Kaiser: nah, Personal Shopper isn't even a horror. It's just a failed arthouse that have little to say except grief.
...even now. For Raw, I would never expect the positive reactions from mainstream. I think the film really push the tolerance of the voewers, but it was a refrrshing watch.
@Kaiser: now you mentioned 2 films thay I really fond of. I come from Vietnam, so I could easily tell you that the settings are staged. The dialogue is pretty unnatural as well, but the movie grows a lot on me. I still love the striking visual and a long, slow mood the film evoke, and It speaks to one of the theme (women's identity in Vietnam society) that speaks well to me and still relevant...
@Mario: Is personal shopper really that mediocre a horror film?
@Mario: I also got back from seeing Raw a couple of hours ago, though the violence was enjoyable I was expecting it to be more so, it was also surprisingly funny at times.
@Mario: I did eventually see Scent of Green Papaya, while I did like that a plot actually did appear later on I was mostly content to find it a really pretty looking and generally relaxing film.
@Aidan: =< Sorry that anon post was me, was using the work computer and didn't log in.
@Anon, don't do that. Don't hint at future events and just let people see for themselves.
The glasses teacher in scum's wish will have an interesting moment to look out for in the coming episodes, I read on in the manga. Only one chapter left.

Scum’s Wish – 11 [A Kind God]

It’s strange, for a show that almost certainly make viewers furious one way or another, be it totally love it or hate it; I remain indifferent for last couple of episode. The thing is, I can’t ship this Akane – Narumi relationship, because I’ve witnessed this kind of relationship in real life before and it […]

Little Witch Academia – 11[Blue Moon]

I don’t mind the lighthearted shenanigans of Little Witch Academia but in my opinion it’s episodes like this that will truly make the show memorable. After ten episodes of mere hints as to the state of magic and it’s history we get a truckload of answers. Why is magic being considered antiquated? Because magic is […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 24

When I started this season of Rakugo I was under the impression that this would be Konatsu’s and Yotaro’s story seeing as Yakumo’s had reached it’s end. However to my dismay it appeared that halfway through the season Yakumo has hijacked the series. I previously stated that the story of Rakugo has already ended with […]

Saga of Tanya the Evil – 10[Path to Victory]

What am I to say when the majority of the episode is detailing a military operation? I admit that content has become spare in this series as of late and the Tanya vs God battle has more or less been pushed to the sideline. Tanya had one moment here where it looked like her mission […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. – 11 [Furawau’s Flowers Smell of Malice]

Really ACCA? Only one episode left and you’re still in set-up stage, with the coup is lingering in the air, but never comes in real form. In fact, ACCA is a series about setting up. Its deliberate pacing can really test the viewer’s’ patience, and I totally understand if most of you have fallen out […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 22 [New School Term – Fighter]

We get to an end of 3-gatsu run but it feels more like a new beginning. Like what I feared last week the last episode doesn’t really have a conclusive ending, instead offers us the new semester of Rei and his childhood and his shogi, which in all fairness are the weaker parts of 3-gatsu. […]

Scum’s Wish – 10 [Fragile and Empty]

This week the main spotlight is heading back to our beloved Akane and two of her relationships preys, Mugi and Narumi. Although I really like the way the show addresses each of those tainted relationships until finally we’d get to the bare bone of Mugi and Hanabi’s core relationship, this episode for me is just […]

Little Witch Academia – 10[Bee Commotion]

I remember seeing a remark someone made that Little Witch Academia would lose half it’s fanbase when the realize that they don’t like Saturday morning cartoons all that much. While most likely said in jest, I find there is a certain degree of truth in that statement. I did enjoy this episode of Little Witch […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 23

The extended epilogue continues as Yakumo returns home after the theatre burns down. Some are signifying the burning down of the theatre as the death of Rakugo while others are speaking of it as a new beginning. After all Rakugo can be performed anywhere as long as someone is willing to listen. The members of […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100