Posted by psgels on 10 February 2009 with categories: Hetalia: Axis Powers

Short Synopsis: Okay, so this time Italy really allies itself with Germany.
Episode Rating: 7,5/10 (Good)
Ah, now things make sense: episode 1 was supposed to be the congress of Vienna (hence why France didn’t appear in that episode), episode 2 then fast-forwarded to the first World War, in which Italy was supposed to fight Germany but simply goofed off, and now we’ve come to the real meat of the story: the Second World War. This episode seems to be the prelude of it, where Germany is angry because France beat it in the first one. The end of the previous episode was just a preview for this one. I’m glad that at least something of this show makes sense. ^^;

The best thing in this episode was definitely the really weird song composed by Italy, which probably meant to highlight some of the cultural differences between the countries (German girls are bigger? They’re scary as tourists? lol). The karaoke may have been a bit too much, though. I never understood why fansubbers feel like they want to stuff the entire screen full of random text, saying the same in English, Romanji and Kanji. It clutters the screen and is hard to follow. And sure, for real songs I can understand… but such a silly song as that one?!

I’m interested whether this series is going to portray the Jews. It’s been a very touchy subject, and I can’t remember any anime about the world war that even bothered to mention it. But then again, Japan did a lot of nasty stuff in the second world war, but if my memory doesn’t deceive me they didn’t have a lot to do with the Holocaust. One ironic thing here is that Homosexuals were also among the ones who were systematically wiped out, and the Germany in this series has just “allied” himself with a guy whose preferences are… questionable to say the least. ^^;

(EDIT: oh wait, I now see that the song was already karaoked in Japanese already before the fansubbers touched it… what?)

1. Arana says:

In episode 1 France is the guy who disagrees with America and England. I believe the meeting is supposed to set in present day as a prologue. In the manga, the Congress of Vienna is referred to elsewhere and anyway, a Congress of Vienna without Austria could never happen.

Also, it’s highly unlikely that there will be a Jew character, as the author of the manga hasn’t created a Jew stereotype and Jews aren’t even a geographic area. Besides, it’s not like our moe!Germany could deal with Jews in a WWII way even if there was one in the show.

2. Kim says:

The only thing the series could possibly do is an Israeli character in a later historical point (who has not shown up in the manga yet).

As for a Jew in WWII that would be pretty tasteless in a silly series such as Hetalia don’t you think? The author has very smartly avoided things like the Holocaust and Rape of Nanking and instead focuses on other random aspects of WWII.

3. Kurisu says:

Kim, comments like yours show exactly why these kind of shows which turn world wars into comedies are really questionable. There are a million and one thing to make a comedy of but because some people have a misguided sense of political correctness, people with a equally misguided sense of political incorrectness bother to exploit this theme.

So you actually think it’s okay to use random victims of the world war and the holocaust but a Jew is off limits? Doesn’t this indicate that anti-semitism is just as alive as it was back then? Anti-semitism has never been a problem that was specifically German or linked to Nazis. Jews have been murdered for hundreds of years for being Jews. Either you consider Jews as equal or you don’t. Treating them carefully creating an artificial cultural barrier is just as bad in the long run as consider them as lesser because both attitudes can be exploited alike.

Mel Brooks made comedies about the WWII era making fun of Nazis and Jews alike decades ago. If Mel Brooks can do that, why can’t others? Because they aren’t Jews unlike Mel Brooks? It’s exactly this false sense of polictical correctness and incorrectness (aka lack of education and knowledge), that allows Israel to get away with manslaughter and unspeakable attrocities. Of course, the Japanese should rather STFU until they start learning and apologize for their own WWII crimes because this makes any such political incorrectness even more loathworthy. I don’t blame the people though even if they find it cool to dress like SS troopers, it’s their ignorant education system and ever corrupt government.

A comedy about WWII without excluding the holocaust is simply shizophrenic and as bad as propanda, if not borderline holocaust denial. If you have the “guts” to exploit a touchy topic for your commercial and entertainment interests, you just owe it to history that you don’t create a distorted piece of propaganda. Oh you think everyone perfectly understand that this is just comedy. Yeah right.

Like it or not, a dumb comedy as this isn’t any better than propaganda. Instead of spending a few minutes reading up on some verifiable facts, they just reiterate well-known and sometimes almost forgotten stereotype, whereas some of the viewers may actually assume they are learning at least a few historic bits which is clearly not the case.

Japanese may not have any part in the Jewish Holocaust but they committed virtually the same crimes (including cruel experiments on humans) just in a smaller scale. Obviously, the Chinese were a more fitting scapegoat for the Japanese because there were hardly any Jews or Christians in Japan. Nobody with a sane mind denies that the Holocaust happens and it’s even illegal to claim anything like that in most of Europe. Japan on the other hand still officially denies a lot of their crimes. In a way, it’s more cruel compared to Jews because many Chinese victims were never accepted as such. Maybe it’s also because Chinese aren’t a minority like Jews, so they kind of appear less worthy, at least that’s how these victims must feel.

Once you grow a bit older, you may hopefully realize that there are good reasons for avoiding unnecessary tasteless things. While it may seem as (self-)suppressing freedom at first sight, it can actually avoid causing severe misunderstandings and spreading hate in the long run. Doing whatever you can just because you feel like it, means anarchy which all romantic aside means one against another and no freedom at all instead of absolut freedom.

And “tastelessness”, actually a more polite term for utter stupidity and ignorance, has nothing to do with political incorrectness.

4. Arnaud says:

However, this time I had to. This anime, representing Nations with opposed degrees of virility… Systematically humiliating one nation and not the others… for being disunited during the middle-ages? for being poor during the industrial revolution? tss… tss… It is very silly and very poisonous.
    In my country (which is not Italy), it is characteristic of the lowest cultural level and the lowest ethical standards. I am surprised you even mention it in your blog.
    This anime is seriously evil. Seriously.
    What do we do next? We take another nation and we show the character as systemically effeminate episode after episode? Who? The French? The Russians? The Viet-Namese? The Canadians? The British? And we make fun of their past economic difficulties too, like famine, industrial pauperism, financial crisis? Tss….

5. Kim says:

Kurisu: No offense but you make absolutely no sense. Have you actually read or watched Hetalia? It does not exclude just the Holocaust, it makes jokes about random historical events. It does not cover every historical event that happened during WWII except the Holocaust. What it covers is entirely random, but the author has very wisely decided not to make jokes about the Holocaust or Rape of Nanking (which are just two very sensitive issues but certainly not the only sensitive issues of WWII). Instead the author makes jokes about common stereotypes (although nowhere does he say these stereotypes are true, and I think people who think that miss the entire point). He also makes jokes about the relationships between countries through different world events.

As for the Producers, Mel Brooks was making fun of Nazi Germany, not of the the deaths of millions of people.

Also I fail to see where I said it is okay to make fun of the atrocities against the Chinese but not Jews when I also clearly mentioned that the comic also wisely avoids issues like the Rape of Nanking. China is only in the comic during WWII as one of the allied powers along with US, England, Russia, France, etc . There was no Jewish State during WWII, so please explain to me how “Jews” can be part of the comic in anyway during the WWII section except if the manga-ka made references to the Holocaust, which I still think he rightly avoided. The comic looks at nations not cultural groups.

Finally, if you actually read my post I did clearly say the manga-ka could perhaps cover Israel at a later historical period, so nowhere did I say Jews were completely off limits. I only said sensitive issues such as the Holocaust and Rape of Nanking (among others) should be off limits in this type of comic.

As for my age and your patronizing know it all attitude, I am already very much grown up.

6. Shirachi says:

PEOPLE – IT’S A CARTOON.

Yes, there are tasteless ones. But somewhere out there someone likes it, otherwise it wouldn’t be one anyway. Just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean you should write an essay about how you shouldn’t like it, how its politically incorrect, etc, and rain on someone’s parade.

Look at it this way: would you rather have it poke fun at the actual horrifying Holocaust, as you seem to be implying, because its “ignoring” it and be called tasteless anyway, or just poke fun at the countries involved instead of the events? Because that’s basically what Hetalia is: poking fun at the flaws and stereotypes of the nations of the world.

I thought it was a very good move on the author’s part to skim over the historical facts and merely use them as a simple backdrop for his comedic effect.

But that aside – I, personally, find it quite funny. Maybe it’s a benefit from living in a country that’s always mocked and poked fun at, so I found it great fun for them all to be reduced to hilarious, bishounen-styled idiots (if not in one area, than in another).

7. Kurisu says:

Oh, it’s a cartoon? Thanks for pointing that out. Obviously, you feel a CARTOON is important enough to read about and defend it if someone expresses a negative opinion. Did you know that propaganda frequently comes in form of innocently looking cartoons and posters? This is true as much for WWII on any side as it is today. Ever heard of Captain Copyright?
    I don’t think it’s a good idea to belittle the leaders and regimes in WWII over and over again. Modern people fell for GWB twice, Italians fall for Berlusconi over and over again. When they’re always assured how Hitler, Mussolini etc. were total ridiculous morons, they assume every idiot would ever vote for such guys. Unfortunately, these regimes were actually rather smart in many ways and others still are today. They are just excellent at manipulating the majority opinion.

“Just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean you should write an essay about how you shouldn’t like it, how its politically incorrect, etc, and rain on someone’s parade.”

If that’s your honest opinion, then how can’t you see my point? Also, if it avoids the holocaust and Jews, it isn’t political incorrect at all, quite the opposite. Movies like “Life is beautiful” exist and won Oscars. I simply find the authors of this anime opportunistic and exploitive. As said it mirrors the official Japanese opinion: “Yeah, WWII happened but let’s not talk about attrocities.” On the other side they don’t have a problem with referencing the biggest crime against themselves in hundreds of anime. Ever noticed how many anime and other Japanese series or movies are directly and indirectly are about the nuclear bomb? Apparently, they don’t have much of an issue to accept that part of history and are even capable of creating deep, inspiring works. The latter is laudable, the former is hypocritical. Two wrongs don’t make a right and two dumbs don’t make a smart.

Of course, it’s thinkable that by “offending” people they cause many debates and cause people to inform themselves about this era. Artists should certainly provoke. The question is though whether they provoke the right people. Doing it just for the commercial value is rather detestable.

8. AlexS says:

I personally hate that many cultural products that mention world war II have to have the obligatory jew holocaust chapter. Not because I hate jews, but simply because sometimes it feels forced and shallow (and in general I’m totally disatisfied with the way the holocaust is explained and taught, but that’s another story).

As for this anime, it’s so totally random that I can’t have an opinion so far (I have not read the manga). Also, this anime is a concentrated heap of stereotypes. If stereotypes get on your nerves (they usually do irritate me) and you can’t get over it, this anime won’t be pleasant. So far, I find it more interesting than funny, and I look forward to see where the anima is going to.

Also, I loved the inflation reference, and look forward to see how Japan will be introduced.

9. jute says:

I wonder if they are going to portray my country, the Philippines. Right after Pearl Harbor, Japan came with bombs and warplanes to our capital, despite it having been declared to be an open city to spare more destruction and death.

Oh, and here’s a sensitive issue: comfort women!

To be sure, it’s all very interesting, but I’ve decided not to watch this show to spare myself any possible heartache.

10. Marmoset says:

While there have been many calls that this is harmless, it just feels disrespectful. “Germany is angry because France beat it in the first one” not only is this pretty much not true but where is Poland? Where is the Soviet Union? Not to mention China-Japan violence had been going on for two years by 1939. By simplifying and subverting these very complex and often horrific events, it is disrespectful to the people of lived through those times and the people who didn’t.

11. Italy’s song was so hilarious! haha! And I don’t think the jews will be portrayed, or if they will be, it ain’t gonna be too violent or bloody. But so far the author has avoided really sensitive issues/events.

And . . . .*FACEPALM* I feel sad that there are lots of people who see the series politically and in an extremely nationalistic way. Most of them even judge it so negatively without even reading much of the manga (perhaps without even seeing the anime either) I think it’s a fact that Hetalia is NOT a propaganda. It’s just poking fun at stereotypes and stuff. FOR FUN! Not meant to be seriously offensive in any way. Hetalia’s not meant to be taken seriously in the first place!

I don’t want stupid debates. I’m just upset to see Hetalia being thought of negatively even though it . . . actually promotes world peace!!!! Not everyone sees it that way though =_=

And no, I’m not exaggerating things. Yes, I’m a huge fan of the series, but I ain’t worshiping it or such.

12. Lika says:

*ahem* I’m not going to get into any of the debates here because I’ve washed my hands clean of that ever since fandom_secrets, but I’d like to clarify a few historical points in this episode.

Germany isn’t angry because France beat him, he’s angry because he has to pay back around 13 billion dollars worth of debt because of the Treaty of Versailles written after WWI.

The joke that Italy makes about the money is that because Germany was so in debt because of the Great Depression and having to pay back France for the war damages that they tried running off great deals of bills to compensate, which backfired because inflation was at insane levels where, yes, a simple egg would cost over three million dollars.

RE Arnaud:

Canada is sometimes seen as being ‘girly’ because his character is seen as one being shy and ignored. Because the Canada strips do not deal with any wars (as of now), I can say without feeling guilt or backlash that they are nearly completely accurate, especially on our relationship with the USA (I am Canadian which is another reason why I don’t feel the guilt in saying that the Canadian comics are an accurate portrayal of our country).

RE Jute:

There hasn’t been a Philippines character yet in the webcomic so I’d assume that one would not appear in the anime.

RE Marmoset:

Germany was angry that France defeated it during the first World War (France and Germany never had a good relationship even before then with the wars they were waging on each other during the 1890s). Germans were also angry that they had to pay back an insane amount of money when they too were devastated by the war. The Treaty of Versailles set out very unfair rules that Germany had to swallow and YES, many Germans were indeed angry over that, to the point where in any good History class, the Treaty of Versailles is usually stated as a reason why World War II occurred (and because people are very sensitive about such topics, it is A reason. Not the only one or the major one).

Also, Poland, Russia, and China do appear, just in later episodes. The invasion of Manchuria is in the webcomics, so there is a chance that will appear in an episode as well.

13. Arnaud says:

Dear author, my last attempt, because I like your blog, and apparently I am sniffing disaster before you do.

You taste is so precise usually. By reviewing Hetalia you dirtied your blog with something that is worth the grunts and shouts of English football supporters. And now you are attracting commenters who think that insulting a nation repeatedly is hilarious”.

Please realize what you have done, and remove this article before it is too late. Please realize.

14. Lurker-tan says:

Hello, as a lurker of this blog I want to say that I really hope you keep on blogging this show despite the adverse criticism heaped on by earlier comments.

As a reader of the manga, I have to say that it’s not solely focused on World War 2. It encompasses a huge time frame ranging from the 30 years war, the fall of the Holy Roman Empire, Hetalia isn’t just out there to make a mockery out of countries. It’s more akin to a parody of historical events. I think we are all mature enough to understand that Hetalia is not meant to be taken seriously, and that while Italy is portrayed so-called ‘negatively’ is all played up for humorous aspects (and there are genuinely touching moments in the series sparse as they may be).

And in truth… Italy does get invaded a lot in history, and after the renaissance had trouble setting up a centralized monarch, lost it’s economic hot-spot status to another country, etc. etc.

15. Grhasha says:

Hi. I’ve been reading your blog for a while now, and I find it the most helpful anime blog out there, so I was very happy when you decided to write about this series :).
    As for the various angry commenters, please don’t be discouraged by that! After all, most people understand there is nothing wrong with a few pokes at history. That is all there is to this manga/ anime. There is no hatred in it whatsoever. The problem is that people watch it with an already established opinion that they HAVE to get offended. Honestly, I’m an Israeli Jew and I don’t find the WWII references offensive at all. There isn’t a reason to get offended if you understand it is an… affectionate parody of historical events (not just WWII).
    Sorry for the confused post, I hope at least some of it made sense :)

16. toro_chan74 says:

I agree with Grhasha-san, I mean, they are just simply joking a bit about history. I know some people are sensitive about it but if they are then they don’t have to watch the anime, even though it’s really, REALLY good. Sorry if I am offending anyone while I’m talking about this ( or typing it…-_-‘). I mean, everybody has to joke about themselves at one point of time, and what’s wrong with that?

17. psgels psgels says:

Arnaud: I can see the points you’re trying to make, but I’m not going to remove this article. The point of Hetalia is simply to poke some innocent fun at some different countries of the world. The way to enjoy this series isn’t to see the characters as full-fledged countries, but instead as the stereotypes they are. I’m not sure in which country you live, but in the Netherlands, we constantly make fun of Belgians (and vice versa as well). That however doesn’t mean that we hate each other (in fact, we get along just fine).

There are of course borders that you can’t cross. We have here a politician who is systematically insulting islamic countries, and even compared the Quran to Mein Kampf. In these cases, the purpose of these guys is to spread pure hatred, and obviously if Hetalia was such a series I’d drop it immediately as well.

18. tealovertoma says:

Rather than spread hate I like to think Hetalia teaches us how silly nationalism and patriotism is by poking fun at *every* country. Every country is messed up and has done bad things, people need to move on and making fun of historical events is an excellent way.

If you don’t like the anime – and I hate to bring up this overused point – don’t watch it. Calling out for censoring on the web is like telling water not to be wet.

19. SageGaiGar says:

Wow, flame war. ‘least it’s a little cooler now. I might just check this out anyway.

20. Aegd says:

Arnaud, remove the article? Why would he do such a thing? It would just be playing into the hand of people like yourself.

“Hi, I usually read this blog with great pleasure, but I never comment, because maybe I am too old and prefer to let younger persons speak.”

Trying to raise yourself above the masses by implying that your age somehow makes your point have higher value. That’s kind of original.

“However, this time I had to. This anime, representing Nations with opposed degrees of virility… Systematically humiliating one nation and not the others… for being disunited during the middle-ages? for being poor during the industrial revolution? tss… tss…”

You really need to be quite thick to see Hetalia as systematic humiliation, considering that it portrays past and not current events. It’s a thing of the past and not really in the same way it happened, so how the hell can it be humiliating?

“It is very silly and very poisonous.
    In my country (which is not Italy), it is characteristic of the lowest cultural level and the lowest ethical standards.”

In my country we have flying mice and houses made out of gingerbread. It’s true because I just said so. You sure make lots of lofty statements without providing any proof.

“I am surprised you even mention it in your blog.
    This anime is seriously evil. Seriously.”

Yeah, because the devil made it. He lives in Japan and draws the lifeblood from anyone who watches anime.

Seriously…

21. Reina says:

W-world peace and love…? (;_;)

22. M-Master says:

I think portraying the Jews during the Holocaust in ANY WAY would be insulting, and not because “OMG IT’S THE HOLOCAUST!” A big issue of the Holocaust was that people were being killed even though the only thing that set them apart from their neighbors was their religion (although it did occasionally lead to a slightly different lifestyle, especially in anti-Semitic areas). The Jews WERE NOT a separate race, a separate nation, a separate anything, and to treat them as such is not to understand the issue. Far more accurate to the Person=Country mentality would be Germany himself suffering during WWII, because millions of his people, Germans-who-happened-to-be-Jewish, were being murdered. In essence, Germany’s boss was killing Germany.

TL;DR: The Jews killed during the Holocaust were also Germans/Poles/Austrians/Hungarians/French/etc. Judaism was just their religion, not their national identity. Having a character for “Jews” in Hetalia would defeat the purpose.

And I am also in support of your blog! Keep it up!

23. roche says:

It’s NOT poking INNOCENT fun at nations and stereotypes when these characters are nothing BUT BALLS OF STEREOTYPES AND RACISM.
    This anime was also to be shown on KIDS TELEVISION, People! That means Innocent CHILDREN with no knowledge of history were gonna be brainwashed with this crap. Also Its also an insult to make a comic on history and NOT talk about the atrocities and build ups of it, history should be viewed objectively and have multiple arguments but this webcomic and anime is incredibly BIASED.

Do you KNOW why its called Hetalia? Italy’s “cowardice” was a bias in itself. And believe it or not, during BOTH World Wars Italy LOST many lives as well. It’s ridiculous.
    And it doesn’t help that JAPAN is the most idealized of the countries. What does that tell you?

24. I’m really glad to see this sort of discourse coming out of Hetalia. I don’t think we really see enough of it in the fandom.

I actually think Hetalia is one of the most interesting ideas I’ve ever seen-it’s cute, funny, thought-provoking, politically-incorrect, relevant, mildly educational and doesn’t take itself too seriously. A simple but brilliant idea.

25. Lim says:

Uuhh… this is my first time to comment a blog… So please spare me…
    I didn’t think about world peace and such… before some mentioned it. But it is right, after I think it awhile, I found a video where many Maru Kaite Chikyuu that sung by many people using their own version and language inserted in one. I immidiately think “World peace, where everyone can holding hand and sing maru kaite chikyuu together”

This is may be not the best source of studying history, text book is; but the best thing I gain is interest.
    Because I watch this anime, I gain interest in history. Making me want to read the history detail, even through neverending english words that make my eyes burnt (This is also made me study English ^^)
    Even though I still not receive world history subject, I am looking forward for it! :)
    And please don’t think that I offending some of you, this just a comment of unknowledge and short-minded young person.

@Mario, for Hero Academia, just wait. The hype is real for Shouto vs Midoriya.
This is one of Saekano's biggest issue: while there are 5 main casts, the show seems to care to develop 3 of them. When that rival-guy begs Tomoya to continue the circle, and stresses that "Don't lose Eriri and Utaha". I just feel... dishearten. No recognition for Kato and Michiru then
Another 2 shows that I want to mention this week: My Hero Academia's last episode fight between Ecchan and Urarawa is my favorite match out of this Tournament arc. Saekano's last episode actually frustrated me. When it's obvious that this is the time for Kato's conflict, the show still spends too much time on Eriri and Utaha.
KTravlos: based on the content I thought it's you as well. I actually enjoyed Virgin Soul. It's an important episode actually, where all of out mains are locked up/ imprisioned. Yep, Re:Creators was great as well. But hell, Souta... his character's annoying. The creations, on the other hand, are developing quite nicely
KTravlos here. Hmm wordpress has cast me out :p
what a great RE:Creators episode. I do not know how Mamika will end up. But manly tears shall be shed. A great character.

Virgin Soul had a so-so to disappointing tonning down episode. Expected. Still they are smart to put Favoro there as a "sorry for that mates".
AoT, knowing what I know from the manga, made this episode all that more striking.
Woah, Alice n' Zokuro has some of the most amazing writing I've seen this decade!
@Mario: And because of the negative space in the picture and guy in the background, it might also emphasize distance.
@Kaiser: This was an obvious shot choice (come on, because they KISSED), but the one I liked the most was the top right one. The characters aren't in the center of focus, and a bit too close to the screen tell us how much Chinatsu wanted to get close to Kotarou, at the same time we feel a bit uncomfortable just like him (too close). Smart visual telling there
I should start giving attention to shots in anime as I do in art films. You've chosen a good one for tsuki ga kirei on the bottom right.
@Mario: Speaking of shots....some of the static photography is Tsai ming liangs Goodbye dragon in is stunning. I saw an Ozu film where the framing was absolutely masterful.
@Mario: The eyeball scene in the restaurant OMO, scenes like that had very good way of creeping up on the viewer.
... and the fireworks in the end. Emotionally satisfied for that bleak film
Thanks Kaiser. Still think Black Coal is a very stylish and well-done neo-noir. One shot in particular still stick with me is the one long, unbroken shot that combine the past with the present.
*reviewing
It was your review that got me interested in the film mario.
Ah, I know that feeling, having to get out all my thoughts immediately. I also stream of consciousness what I write whether it be a poem or review then go back to edit, shows the passion a person has for what they're review.
It was just 3 years ago. I think I MUST review everything as soon as I finish, otherwise I will forget. Getting old now. Dang it
It was a great review, Kaiser. I also feel comparing Black Coal to Memories of Murders don't do this film justice too (although to be hinest I don't see the comparison). Your review just reminds me that I did review that film on Letterboxd, thou for the life of me, when I read ny own review I had no clue that i did write it
@K-off: Constantine was really the only reason I would have considered seeing the film, as I enjoyed some of the comics he appeared in.
Yaaay! Favaro is back!
@Mario: Ah, now I remember, I stopped watching ghost hound at around episode 14 or 15 years ago.
Justice League Dark ended up being one of the weakest among the recent animated dc films. The opening was intriguing but it drops the ball as soon as it focuses on Zatanna and Constantine...The demonic manipulation of people isn't tied well enough to the villain, so that premise ends up feeling pointless, everything is inconsequential by the end. Why was this even made?
And for once, I feel that developing the characters isn't a appropriate choice for this type of show. The main cast need to develop, yes, but most of the supporting cast was presented as ambiguous and mysterious, thus making them change in the end feel just wrong
The main kidnapping was never addressed thoroughly, and it should be the main overarching arc, instead of this ending.
So... I've just binged through Ghost Hound. It starts as a compelling psychological mystery series, and ends up being... thriller of sort? The first half, building up stage was its best, and then unfortunately it run out of steam
Hey Favoro is like a good whiskey. You gotta drink it slow and enjoy it :)

I liked Predators.
Spike
8 episodes in we finally get to see who we were all waiting for in Bahamut! ...for 2 seconds.
I did watch the version with the alien coming out of the ox. I haven't watched Predators, AVP1 was ok, like the newer movies its just the human element that has consistently gotten worse and unmemorable. I think that element in particular made me enjoy watching Alien 3 now, than if I had watched it in order, considering how it begins.
Thankfully the franchise can never fall as low as the predator reboot or alien vs predator.
@Vonter: Be sure you're watching the extended version.
I liked 3/4s of this film, as the plans to kill the alien got more cumbersome the film got more tiring. And I think it was obligated to annihilate the cast considering they take the time to take out a whole bunch of them. I also think it's very noticeable the tiring production this had, and while people praise practical effects now, this movie sadly didn't integrate well the alien puppet.
I've just watched Alien 3, the only Alien movie I hadn't seen do to the diviseness towards it. I think I went with the best expectations considering now on hindsight newer movies have made it look more competent, having more weight. This movie has characters, integrates the religious motiffs better, the Alien more than a closet monster is a formidable force of nature.
.....It just dawn on me looking through my letterboxd account...I have never seen afro samurai...
@Kaiser: I'm on hold with SukaSuka as well after 5 episodes. Ejoyable so far but its LN's tendencies hurt the show
@Kaiser: yeah, like I said in one of my weekly post, Tsuki ga Kirei is simple, but isn't easily obtained. At this point, I'm truly invested in these kids that it makes me tense just to see how they keep up with their relationship, haha.
I have yet to catch up with sukasuka and don't care about bahamut all that much.
I feel its sweet and sensitive approach has a rhythm to it that I started going along with.
It’s obviously slow but I began not noticing the time go by as I watched more.
The art makes me think of Shimura Takako’s and makes me wonder what the series might have been like if she wrote it.
The dub is mediocre so after 3 episodes I switched to subs.
The relative quietness and how scaled back in comparison to other anime romances is welcome and it never becomes dramatically or comedically obnoxious which I think is in its favour.
I decided to catch up on tsuki ga kirei. We said this before, but that scene where he meets the publisher about his writing is a stand out one.
For the show overall so far itself, above all I see it as something simple, un-demanding to watch, its good a break from all those old/art films I have to concentrate on harder to follow.
Maybe Goth would count but its more o a mystery manga.
Not familiar with shibito or sugar life. May as well recommend everything by Kazuo Umezu and Junji ito. 6000 ended disappointingly, I fell behind in dead tube. Does sugar dark count?
I am a Hero is a personal favorite of mine
@Anon: Uzumaki, Shibito no Koe o Kiku ga Yoi, Happy Suger Life, 6000 and Dead Tube. I suppose.
What is some good horror manga
@Mario I also noticed that korean thrillers are way too obnoxious with shakycam.
@Mario, about LWA, that was how I felt. Its just not as magical, as special, as the original OVA was to me. I suppose thats to much to ask for a 25 ep series, but it turned me off
@Mario, TV Diana has some charm points but I think OVA Diana provided a better dynamic. I mean sure, She was essentially female Draco Malfoy but her attitude made reveals like her being a secret Chariot fan more impactful. Plus her tsundere act torwards Akko was rather adorable.
about LWA again, unlike Aidan I actually enjoy this version of Diana. I know she's one note, too perfect but she's charming. Too charming haha which serves well as a contrast to Akko
...just pop one random film from him. His films are not without its bad side thou, in particular I find the dialogues shapeless and dragging. But well it does add to the naturalness of his films
on LWA I would also recommended it. It is a fluffy show, with a sense of wonder. Some episodes are better, some are more flat, and the over-arching storyline leaves me bored. But it does have that sense of childlike wonder, which I had missed among all the "grim" shows.
@Kaiser: I have a bit of problems with Korean movies lately as now they're heavily thriller style-over-substance films, so films that have very simple style like Hong-Sang-Soo's joints are the welcome change of air. One thing about his films thou, If you watched one of his film, you've watched them all. They're so similar in tones and concepts that I reckon if you feel like watching his films...
So I say it's still worth finishing. It's good but I don't feel the sparks that made it so great from the OVAs anymore
@Lenlo: about LWA. Plus side: Those hijinks. I mean the show is fun and magical. Negative side: I wish the show's storytelling is a bit tighter, each episode feels so loose it doesn't add up much and more like different variations of Akko + one member of the cast's hijink. Doesn't help either that the other casts just disappeared until they have an episode for 2 for themselves
@Anon1113829: I "enjoyed" Beyond the Boundary, but that show was a mess. The episode 10 was stand out for me, and the ending was kinda... a wreck. Certainly interesting but quality-wise I wouldn't reccommend it
@SuperMario KyoAni fan? What did you think of Kyoukai no Kanata? I really wanted to like it, I thought it had some potential, but IMO nothing worked right.
@Lenlo, It's good. Fun to watch certainly. Though sadly it falls short of being great.
So question: Is Little Witch Academia worth finishing atm? I started it last season, but for some reason it just fell off my radar
@Mario: Thankfully, while not entirely satisfying, day he arrives is just the Korean film I've been looking for, refreshingly more low key, quieter and I enjoyed the new wavy combined with raw style, making it all feel very natural.
@Mario: Well then, thanks for the rec on Hong-sang-so, I looked at The day he arrives. Y'know the reason I sometimes dread going into films featuring romance is because I'm conditioned from seeing the bad ones.
....I may actually read this, the last time I read a manga steeped in politics was Sanctuary: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle:_The_Making_of_an_Asian-American_President
@Aidan: I actually have very limited experience with Ellis as a comic book writer, only read Transmetropolitan, I know he's writing the Castlevania adaptation.
@Aidan: I heard the same thing; can't help being a completist though so I'll eventually get to them
@Mario, From what I heard, it doesn't get better.
@Kaiser: that scene from the 1st episode of Phantom world lost me... but even then I'm willing to give the show another chance. That's how far I would go ^^ https://mobile.twitter.com/aaapodcast/status/687148875052892160/photo/2
@Kaiser, Looks like they are putting some real effort into it. May actually turn out pretty good after all.
@K-Off, Under the Red hood is a damn fine movie. Likely one of the best of the DC animated universe. Though try Superman vs the elite out. It's pretty good.
Even phantom world Mario...even phantom world ? =)
Just the teaser trailer, not much to go on, but heres a short preview of that netflix castlevania thing that got mentioned on here a while back, up the quality to 360p:
At this stage, I'm pretty much KyoAni fanboy now so with every new material, I'll hype it up to the sky ^^
@Mario: I did follow it up with The spy who loved me though to cheer myself up =P Given that Rodger Moore just died =)
@Kaiser: just looked through what Short Men Behind the Sun is about: "human experiments carried out by Japanese army during WW2?" Already sound grim and too real. Then "a graphic depiction of the human experiments" haha no wonder you felt unsettled Kaiser
VyseLegendaire
My favorite Exploitation Flick is An Inconvenient Truth 2.0
@Mario: Long story short men behind the sun is finally the exploitation flick that defeated me and actually made me unsettled.
@Mario: I remember you talking about how Salo really affected you as an exploitation film, generally exploitation films don't shock or disturb me, but I just watched the cantonese dubbed version of Men behind the sun.
And the worst thing about beyond the boundry and phantom world, it discolours my opinion of kyoani as a whole, making me negatively reflect on older work they did .
Yep, that's the new KyoAni one. Like Puran I don't have any expectations of it. The premise certainly seems like the closest they have come to breaking out of there usual format but I am sure they will find a way to shove in Moe antics. Though based on what is seen so far it looks like they are trying to emulate Key.
Puran
Is that a new KyoAni anime?.. I have lost faith in them a long time ago. Last Anime from them that I cared about was probably Hyouka
Bring you some news, Violet Evergarden will be aired as an anime TV. Though many sources saying it gonna air this year, it has a better possibility to air next year
Well, aesthetically, he's pretty much on par with Yang and Wong. It's just that his films are often emotionally distant, feel more like watching the paint dry hahaa
@Mario: I connect more emotionally with Yang and Wong.
@Mario: I went in expecting Edward Yang and Kar-wong-wai levels of quality, which may have been quite unfair standards to put him up against.
I myself find his films difficult to watch, but when the films end they usually hold up very very well. Both The Assassin and 3 Times in particular are my favorite of the year
@Kaiser: I completely understand your reaction because his films are demanding as hell. I remembered watching The Assassin in big screen, 3 people next to me fall asleep, one of them snoring and the other one fall asleep within the first 10 mins. That Hou Hsiao's movies for you
@Mario: Its such a shame because he makes gorgeous cinema and City of sadness is actually pretty informative account of the times....I just can't jive with him and I actually like "slow cinema" but watching his work is insanity inducingly boring for me.
@Mario: ....I'm really sorry, I don't mind long slow even spiritual, talky, non-narrative, old, complex,meditative , art films but I'm really really finding it hard to watch Hou Hsiao's work, I've tried time to live and the Assassin and I just bailed after 2 out of 3 hours on city of sadness.
I have to say Akko is developing nicely as a character in LWA. Also Magane in Re:Creators reminds me of Hannibal as palyed by Mads Mikkelsen. There is that same est for life married to sociopath that is a bit charming :) Mamika's character is also just cool. Beyond that AofT and Bahamut both delivered competent episodes, with Bahamut a good mix between comedy and tragedy.
@Aidan Assault on Arkham was fantastic. Between that and Under the Red Hood, a classic.
@Kaiser: I have a lot to say in this week's Eccentric Family. Review will come up later tonight when I get back home from work.
Seen Assault on Arkham or what it should be called, The animated Suicide Squad movie. Thinking of checking out Dark.
@Aidan: Have you seen assault on Arkham or the justice league dark film?
@Aidan: It isn't so much because its Talia x Batman, moreso that it feels odd shipping Batman with anyone.
While kind of amusing, initially I wasn't too into Uchouten this week, the hot spring part got me groaning, but then someway through dramatically it really picked up.
From reading comics a few years back, I still feel that they adapt better to animation.
@Vonter: And I say this as someone who was able to defend Alien 3 and Ressurection.
Covenent felt like an Infantilized version of Alien.
I wouldn't call either John Wick film or free fire amazing or anything but they had great fight scenes that were actually visually coherent , of course they weren't given a proper release.
I'm not watching/paying for anymore of these reboots/remakes/shakey cam pg rated action films anymore. I'll stick with my balls to the wall Hong-Kong/Chinese ones.
@Vonter: It also had really uneven pacing aswell.
@Vonter: ....The dialogue is so embarassing, they don't do enough with this backstory, they just keep teasing, none of the new characters have the same charisma , the editting in the action scenes shakes all overtheplace.
@Vonter: I gave Covenent a fair chance, I thought it would be an exception to the reboot thing. I'll admit theres the sets, the atmosphere, Fassbenders performance , the idea to expand on the franchises mythos is cool but....
It really really hurts as a film fan, trying to find older, genuinely quality foreign films , finding that no-one is seeding them and theres no proper/in print dvd release anymore. Then finding some awful shakey cam modern American superhero film with billions of seeds and a bluray release.
@K-Off, I don't know. Todd was more the imperfect son always aiming for batmans approval. Damian is more an assasin wondering why the hell he can't just kill his enemies. I hear that Comic Damian works better than Animated Damian. I do think that if given a personality he could work but as he is currently you are right that he's essentially a mishmash of past robins.
I watched Alien Covenant and I don't know if it improves by being more dumb and less pretentious or if it os the final nail in the Alien franchise coffin. Not since the StarWats prequels there has been a retcon that changes your view of the original movies.
I can recall enjoying a certain Jason Todd centered story called Batman:death in the family.
Well, even when Damian does completely cross the line and become a villain, he's not even that interesting, i.e Injustice. Yup, Jason Todd already covered everything, but better.
Problem is that he's an edge lord cocky piece of shit that just doesn't have enough likeable traits for this to be compelling. What really pushed him over the edge was mocking Nightwing over his parents deaths. That shit is not on.
@K-Off, I like the contrast that Batman refuses to cross the line and kill but Damian has crossed that line. As well as his potentail to become a villain. Tim and Dick didn't really have that though Jason sort of did. Damian's arc is more about teaching him the morality of a hero.
@Aidan I'm not sure I like Damian's concept to begin with. The Bat-son dilemma's inherently addressed by the Robins for all intents and purposes. Damian just goes through the same motion, only difference being he's biologically related.
Yup. Wonderwoman either doesn't need to have a love interest, or it needs to be with Steve Trevor, the two have a solid backstory that the movies unnecessarily removed.
@Kaiser, I don't mind the Taila X batman pairing. Makes more sense than Batman and Batgirl. But if there's one pairing pushed in the new movies that I just find wrong is the Superman X wonder woman. I just don't get that one.
@K-Off, I like the concept of Damian as a character. But it's executed so badly.
Teen titans needs one more season to wrap up all the loose ends. Such as what happens to Slade, and Blackfires revenge. The creators clearly wanted to explore those plot lines but got cut short.
Teen Titans hasn't aged very well, but one thing I still do like about it is how contained and local the setting and cast were for the first half of that show. When godly superpowers are involved, that appeals to me. Much of the same reason why I like Logan and Raimi's Spiderman so much.
Very rarely watched teen titans when I was younger, I was vaguely interested in slade, stopped watching around when Terra appeared. I actively avoided comics where Damien appeared, never liked that Talia x Batman pairing much, I can only imagine how much worse it is to listen to Damien than read him.
@Aidan, I like some aspects of those movies, but I'm not a big fan of the new continuity and art style in general...and yeah it doesn't help that Damian is irredeemably unlikable.
@K-Off, There is also the DC animated Teen Titans movies like Teen Titans vs Justice Leage and Teen titans the Judus contract. Though it's not the same as the the TV series and Damian is such a dick.
@Anon I don't think Teen Titans needs another season. The last season wasn't that good, but the movie ended the series on a high note and Young Justice pretty much rebooted everything, at least in terms of replacing people's want for a more mature DC cartoon about the Titans.
Yeah it's become more of a hassel (for myself and my friends) to set aside time to go to a theater.
I guess in the end it all comes down to how easily it reaches the viewers. Give us a hard time and we don't give a damn to check the new movie/show out
... otherwise have to wait for a year, even more before it reaches Australia. But many companies will raise in the wake of Netflix and that will be where problems arise
This trend isn't happening within the anime industry, but it's happening in the movie world as well. In the past 2 years, Netflix starts to exclusively distribute many films, meaning that they won't have theatrical release, but straight to Video on Demand which caused quite a stir in the industry. Personally, I actually don't have much problem with it as now I will get a chance to see a film that
Dive!! , a series that will air next season on noitaminA slot will stream exclusively on Amazon Prime Video. Not that I'm eagerly looking forward to Dive, but that news again makes me frustrated. No one will watch it and then all the hypes it might have will die down eventually.
Considering I didn't even expect a season 5 it's more than I could've evr wanted. Now if only if only Teen Titans could get the same chance.
Oh yeah, it turned out well. Didnt mean to say it didnt.
@Lenlo, Considering that the ratio of great to alright episodes is 8 to 2 I say that it turned out pretty well.
I have to say, the Samurai Jack season started stronger than it ended imo
So this is how Samurai Jack ends. 16 years in the making. Honestly considering how much needed to get wrapped up I knew the ending would be a bit flawed. Really think Gen should have givin it one more episode to flesh out the ending and then it wouldn't feel so rushed. Overall despite it's flaws, it's a decent ending. Not prefect by any means but it will do the job.
Lol theres a surprise, seriously, Black Lagoons manga is updating again.
worst recap ever for me? Gangsta. That was a stupid recap episode. Really like a Public Announcement. Useless, stupid, and ruining atmosphere. Utter stupidity. There I got it our of me :p
@Masky: Unfortunately too far behind in the sequel manga to catch up, I did take a look at THAT in the latest chapter though.
Huh, for some reason thought Tokyo Ghoul was under shonen when its seinen. Welp now that makes more sense, I was thinking story about cannibalism would be kinda absurd for shonen.
Spike
They serve no purpose except to fill airtime when production gets fucked up. They have 2 bad choices - run a recap or run an unfinished episode. Recap is generally the less dogshit choice. I've seen a few anime that ran the episodes with unfinished animations and still frames.... the backlash was about 100x what a recap is.
I'm about to say that to you as well Kaiser, maybe watch the recap and then continue on. The only thing I kind of take from the recap episode is the editting: how they chop off the fat of 6 episodes to still give you important developments. But as a way to catch up/ to reintroduce the series, it's freaking useless
I don't think anyone should start from the recap episode. Unless there was a long hiatus, a recap in between episodes is unnecessary for new viewers and old
I mean, aside from whatever happens with Mugaro.
Next episode seems early, out of 24 episodes, for Nina to learn the Prince is Chris, yet that seems to be what the confrontation is leading towards, and then she freaks out and he learns shes the dragon. Becomes the conflict for the rest of the season?
Seems I was right, Azazel didnt predict that Nina might not be so easily riled up as she once was. To bad so sad Azazel, she has someone she loves now.
How useful are these recap episodes anyway/actually? Hypothetically lets say I was feeling lazy and decided to watch tsuki ga kirei starting from the recap episode.
[link src="https://www.anirena.com/?s=blame

So long as there are consequences for how hes acting, then I am ok with it. I just dont want him to turn into some MC hero when hes acting like this.
And in Re:Creators Sota is still being a goddamn pussy. Now that the exposition has gone down I am really starting to hate this kid.
It's the presentation that they differ. Ghost Hound focuses more on the atmosphere, so those details I mentioned before work for their benefits; whereas Sagrada Reset focus on plots (and confusing themes) so those stick out like sore thumb.
4 episodes into Ghost Hound so far. This show also reminds me a bit of Sagrada Reset this season- the way they both emotional distant, complex plots; keep viewers away at arm's length, and feature characters that have robotic facial expressions. Yet I enjoyed Ghost Hound so far and couldn't engage in Sagrada Reset at all.
@Spike: I was like... "tsuki ga kirei has a recap episode, so let's move on to Kado"... another recap. Tsuki ga kirei I'm not too worry as it confirmed that it'll have 12 episodes, but I'm not confident on Kado
@lenlo: in a sense you have to suffer it all alone. No worries thou as I intend to binge watch it when this season's over
Spike
Kado team crumbled under the pressure. Recap this week.
@SuperMario, im happy I dont have to compete with anyone to cover Berserk :P Got it all to myself to whine about, though its been ever so slowly improving.

Tsuki ga Kirei – 07 [Hold Back Nothing When Taking Love]

With this episode Tsuki ga Kirei marches on its impressive run. If there is one thing that I’m still impressed about Tsuki ga Kirei, it’s that despite its slow-pacing, the story never stands still. Each episode is a steady step-forward, clearly mark-out stage from its main couple’s relationship. I wasn’t at all expecting that much […]

Sakura Quest – 08 [The Fairy’s Recipe]

This was a solid episode from Sakura Quest. This week is the first of the two-parter (probably) about the Queen and her team making a special dish for Manoyama town that could attract tourists. Now I see the formula the show’s currently employing: the first three episodes focus on Yoshino and her coming to term with […]

Re:Creators – 07 [Everything I Can Do]

The conclusion to the last week’s fight turns out to only eslcate in size with Yuuya and the giant robot joining the fray before ending off on a rather anticlimactic note. You have Mamaika remaining true to her character and trying to put out fires everywhere while everyone else pairing off in a grudge match. […]

ID-0 – 07 [Overstepping]

This week found the three main characters: Ido, Maya and Alice all got “eaten” by that huge annoying rock. Thankfully, being a rock – they themselves call it a wandering planet, or Rajeev retrieved, it can only swallow them whole – not chew – but it effectively cuts down all the communication and oxygen from […]

Little Witch Academia – 20[Sense and Sensibility]

This episode has really nailed home for me just how defanging Diana has been a bad choice. In the OVA episodes Diana was bratty and stuck up but at least then she had character. In the TV series she’s more or less a mary sue through and through which is sadly a much more boring […]

Shingeki no Kyojin(Attack on Titan) – 33[The Hunters]

One thing that continues to surprise me when covering this series is that after watching a full 25 minute episode of it and sitting down to write, I think about what happened in the episode and find it remarkably little. Truly, what did happen this episode? Well Reiner and Bertholdt ran off with Eren and […]

Uchoten Kazoku 2 – 07 [The Friday Fellows Club, Again]

For a show that has a knack for little moments, this episode is one of the rare times that Eccentric Family goes for big dramatic emotional route, and manages to knock it out of the park. Soun, in the end, serves no more purpose than a pawn in a chess. Wicked all the way, but […]

Sakura Quest – 07 [The Mansion in Purgatory]

This week in Sakura Quest, we have core members lashing out at each other, and some more nice interactions between other members – which in fairness is all I could hope for. You know a cast is well developed when you can pick any two main characters and they still have their unique chemistry together. […]

ID-0 – 06 [The Observer]

With this episode we start to learn more about Ido’s true identity but the reveal feel far-fetched at best. I know he’s supposed to be someone special, but “an enemy of mankind”? Seriously? That trope again? So he was a Titan or some kind of disease that destroy the human kind? Oh since he’s in […]

Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon (Winter 2017) Review – 74/100

Scum’s Wish (Winter 2017) Review – 80/100

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Review – 90/100

When you have watched a large amount of anime you can come to assume that you have learned a lot about Japanese culture. Though I think it’s testament to how limited it is to view Japan through anime when you come to realize that despite watching so much, you have never heard of Rakugo. Rakugo […]

Youjo Senki Saga of Tanya the Evil Review – 80/100

Isekai stories have become somewhat of a tiresome genre as of late. There have been many stories of people being transported/reincarnated into other worlds where they shed their once pitiful exterior and become some legendary figure in another world. In most cases it’s trit, balant childish wish fulfilment and the stories often become tiresome when […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. (Winter 2017) Review – 83/100

Imagine my utmost amazement when a show that I wasn’t that confident on taking in the beginning turned out to be one of the most solid offering this season had to offer. ACCA is the most recent anime adaptation from mangaka Natsume Omo, which despite isn’t a household name, many of her works (6 titles […]

Demi-chan wa Kataritai (Winter 2017) Review – 62/100

Demi-chan is one of the newest addition to the monster girl subgenre, which usually feature a human helpless male lead get stuck in a harem of mythical creatures, in form of oversized boob girls of course (why usually those monsters are in female forms anyways? Aren’t they sexless?). In this case, we have monster girls […]

Seiren (Winter 2017) Review – 51/100

Let me say this out front, Seiren is NOT a good show, it’s a highly uneven one. Throughout its run, I can see some solid moments and fresh ideas that could potentially raise it above the bar, but ultimately, view it as a whole, Seiren is a show that isn’t worth recommending. At first, I’m […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100