Posted by psgels on 26 February 2009 with categories: Casshern Sins

Short Synopsis: Ouji returns.
Episode Rating: 8/10 (Excellent)
I’m not getting my hopes up. I’m NOT going to get my hopes up this time. There is no way that this cliff-hanger is going to be real. This series is going to be one of the best things since sliced bread if Casshern DOES end up dead, but I’ve seen too many cliffhangers like this one in which the main character supposedly gets killed off before the final episode. The next episode is probably going to feature some kind of plot twist that is going to keep Casshern alive. It’s going to be an awesome one, that’s for sure, but as much as I’d like to hope for a series to kill off its main character before its final episode, it ain’t gonna happen.

But that’s enough ranting, because this still remains such an excellent series. In this episode, it becomes clear that Luna indeed is very different from your guardian angel. In the time before her supposed death, it was so bad that anyone who met her met with death. When Braiking Boss ordered to kill her, he basically ended up killing his own subordinates, it seems. Still, since Luna was seen as the sun, nobody seemed to either bother or notice. Still, Casshern for some reason wasn’t affected by her death-rays, he stabbed her, and got in touch with her blood, and that’s why he became immortal. Nothing to do with love, like I originally suspected. This however, still leaves a truckload of questions yet to be answered:
– Why didn’t Casshern get himself killed?
– Why did Luna’s powers change all of a sudden?
– Where did the ruin come from?
– How come Casshern got pulverized at the end of this episode, without regenerating?
– Did Dune get his nickname really from his own actions, or were all the rumours of the people the original Luna killed delegated to him?

And here’s one thing I’ve been wondering:: every single recurring character has his or her own purpose in the series, except for Friender. Seriously, what was the last thing that it ever did? Try to dig out Casshern from a bunch of rocks. Apart from that, it’s just… there. Is Friender going to be more than just a simple cameo fro the original Casshan series, or will it have an important role in the end?

1. Kim says:

I haven’t seen the episode yet but I think it is pretty unlikely (actually pretty much impossible) that the title character will die before the final episode. I could see Casshern dying at the end of the series though, I always felt the first ending with Lyuze and Ringo was sort of prophetic in that regard.

I really need to stop reading these until I’ve watched the episode. Entirely my own fault though. :)

2. DmonHiro says:

Why the hell are you hoping for Casshern to die? What would that accomplish?

3. Camario says:

^Depends on what the series would do with such a concept, but I guess psgels would just wants to see someone take that kind of risk.

4. the Guest says:

Perhaps Luna is the source of Casshern’s slowed healing factor. Over the course of the last few episodes, Casshern’s abilities, and healing factor seemed to have degraded. The last shot in Episode 19 was Lyuze stroking Casshern’s unhealed hand. Episode 21 when Lyuze cut him on the cheek, it didn’t heal, and now the army easily beating the crap out of him… Perhaps it goes, the further away he is, the more invincible he becomes.

5. CASSHERNxLYUZE says:

No way Casshern’s going to die or stay dead. If he’s going to get killed and stay killed before the the series ends, it would have been done… well, we would know it. For one, they wouldn’t recycle some animation from an earlier episode.

Back in episode 19, I was disappointed by that episode passing by without Casshern and Lyuze at the least kissing. I said, if it wouldn’t happen then, it’s not going to. Now I think I’m wrong, and I feel stupid for jumping the gun and losing faith in the production. After seeing Casshern and Lyuze’s “intimate moment” in this episode, I’ve began to see where it is (really/probably/hopefully) going. Someone said before that “they were saving the best for last”, and it seems, that is the case.

I think Casshern didn’t regenerate because either there wasn’t enough time, or he intended to get himself massacred in the first place (I’ve seen only the raw so I don’t really know why). We’ve seen Casshern “repair himself” both instantly and after quite some time. We’ve also seen that happen seemingly at will, and involuntarily. I think it has something to do with his state of mind. For example, in ep. 09, he needed to protect someone and so he was able to conjure his healing ability practically at will. A more recent example would be the last two instances Lyuze has wounded him. I guess in those two instances, the injury was from someone he cared about, and so it “cut deep” and didn’t heal right away. In this case however, it seems that he both wanted to get killed, and there simply wasn’t enough “breathing time” to recover.

About Friender… it used to belong to a robot couple, then “he” ends up belonging to Casshern. Then, Lyuze joins up with Casshern and they (Lyuze and Casshern) fell in love, so Friender now belongs to another robot couple. I think Friender sort of foreshadowed that Casshern and Lyuze are going to be romantically involved like its’ previous masters. Also, Friender provides that “extra punch”, as Casshern can only do so much by himself.

6. TJ says:

Casshern won’t die yet… he can’t die before the last episode. There is still too many unanswered questions, and the series had better ramp up to get to them all.

7. Chino F. says:

What’s Luna… a robot hunter/killer then? It’ll have to explain the origin of why she’s considered a sort of savior… maybe because she kills robots who are enemies of humans.

8. Chino F. says:

By the way… that frizzy-haired lady almost made me think that some comedy came up. I wonder who that is, though.

9. the Guest says:

I think CASSHERNxLYUZE has a point. His healing factor may also have to do with his state of mind. The slow healing factor also kind of started after he stated that Lyuze and Ringo were both important to him. Perhaps after Lyuze showed her affection towards him, in return, he felt a sort of burden lift off of him. I mean she was someone who was planning on killing him for killing her sister, and for her to show him kindness, perhaps he no longer felt as burdened by his sin, believing he could be redeemed if someone like Lyuze could come to care for him, so the self-imposed super guilt for something he can’t remember, may have lightened slightly. It was stated by someone, that his healing factor was a way of him paying for his sins, because he would never be able to die, and always feel pain, thus his painful healing ability. I love this show!!! Cassher&Lyuze forever!!!

10. TCoFA says:

On the one hand I support your PoV, on the other I don’t think I can take another episode of Lyuze Sins.

11. mrbuu82 says:

@Chino: Fran Drescher perhaps?

I think Cassharn will return. His healing factor will repair him and he’ll be back for the end of the series. The character has talked about ending his life for most of the series, but the event itself was so sudden and jarring that I was completely taken aback.

I would not discount the idea that Cassharn could die by the end of the series, but I feel like the character still has some things to do before he kicks the bucket.

12. CASSHERNxLYUZE says:

I’ve just seen the subbed vid, and something occured to me after watching it. Seeing as how Casshern has been made out to be like Jesus; there’s no way that the people behind this show would pass up on Casshern dying, then resurrecting in some way. There’s just no way.

Well, it seems that all the comments about his “immortality” finally took its toll on Casshern. But I don’t really understand why Casshern all of a sudden just decided to get killed. Doesn’t he have people to protect? Is knowing how it is to fear death that much important than being there for the people he cares about?

Speaking of which, Lyuze’s lines in this episode about wanting to be cured but rather staying as herself was awesome. What a woman. Is it just me, or did they actually do “something” at the end of that scene? But before anyone responds to that negatively, I challenge you to watch that part again first. It didn’t hit me till the second time I saw it.

Anyway, it’s now clear that Luna has changed. My bet is still on that multi-colored rock having something to do with it.

13. Hurr says:

CXL, maybe a kiss? I’m not too sure, though. When she tells him that she’s rusting and her lips have become rough, does she put her lips against Casshern’s cheek?

14. Doug Napoleone says:

In the preview for the next episode, there is a very fast sequence in which we see Cashern beat up, not looking very good, but distinctly chained up. It also ends with a close up of his very alive face.

He is decidedly ‘not dead yet’.

15. lol says:

ok, synopsis made me lol. Luna bestowed death in the days of old, because humans had made themselves immortal, and it was considered salvation because you could only truly live when you had death. Braiking didnt like it, assination blah blah blah.

Of course he ain’t gonna die. All he needs to do is experience the fear of death, not death itself. He is clearly shown in the next ep preview. Most likely he reverts to basic programming, Braiking Bi*ch shows up and orders him to kill Luna (either that or he reverts to his earliest memory (order to kill luna?), he kills her/ returns to normal right before he kills her.

16. lol says:

oh yea. The whole Jesus thing is like this reverted back to early eps for some reason. We got it, Casshern is Jesus oh my lawd pain for salvation :O.

17. Immelman says:

Something was wrong in this episode. Like an inversion of the roles. Especially when Ouji returns,it’s as if he became a sort of bad guy, making Ringo cry. But in the end, was he wrong? Is it not better to heal Lyuze and Ringo? Wasn’t it the purpose of their trip? And is Luna such a villain? She somehow heals people.
    What I want to say is that maybe Casshern is the bad guy. As for us, the viewers, we have only his point of view, so we think obviously that he is the good guy. But by blaming Luna and her healing, he blames life itself.
    Maybe all those episodes were just a make-believe…

18. the Guest says:

I hope all these episodes aren’t make believe. I hate those kind of plot devices. I would say there are no bad guys, really just people who are more jaded that anything. And of course none of them think they’re villains, but that they’re justified in the actions that they take. Luna is someone who has to bleed to heal people, if she doesn’t enjoy that, I can understand, and if seeing robots who are decayed reminds her of that ability and constant nagging to be healed, I can also understand why Luna doesn’t like to see them. All people ever seemed to do was want and take from her, so it might make sense that she is colder… although perhaps she’s broken… because one moment she refuses to heal them (of course not saying so) then the next there’s a band of happily healed robots running by, it’s enough to make anyone like Ohji confused but still hope. I don’t think Ohji’s wrong, he just wants to spend forever with his little girl, and as a parent sometimes you gotta make kids do stuff they don’t want to for their own benefit.

I think Lyuze kissed Casshern in the episode, but it was kind of awkward. Lyuze doing all the work, Casshern just stands there like a stone as he always does. But I kind of agree with TCoFA, I want the next episode to progress forward with plot and information, and not concentrate so much on CxL. I can’t believe I just said that, but there are only a few episodes left, I want something great, not an End of Eva ending.

So we got to rely on fansubs for it when it's airing.
@Mario, Nope. I think because netflix only puts up full seasons they are only planning to put it up when it's finished airing. Or when it's dubbed.
But how does the Netflix thing work? So of I have a Netflix account I can watch the show weekly?
@Aidan: that's a dumb way to do things really because unless you watch the show weekly, everyone gonna forget that it even exist. Just look at Re-Life last year
thought*. Words are hard.

Eventually found the actual first ep though and enjoyed it.
Was funny. I tried to find the first Ep for Little Witch, found original short made afew years ago, watched it and though "This is very similar to the original... Whats new".
Little witch is one of the best shows this season and yet I can't get subtitles because Netflix doesn't release shows weekly. Motherf*cker.
Ore Monogatari I enjoyed. It was a nice romance that actually explored what happens after the confession. Also the 2 leads are just precious.
Alright but unmemorable seems like a good summation.
@Lenlo: one good thing about Seiren is if you don't like this romance, the whole thing gonna reset after episode 4 so there's a chance that you might end up like it. Agreed that the comedy wasn't very good. Alright but unmemorable
@Topgavin: I watched like first 3 episodes and stopped because I didn't have much time there, but I enjoyed what I saw. A well-written and endearing show in my book
Has anyone here watched Ore Monogatari before? Because in the 4 years I've watched anime, I've never heard of it (I guess it did come out 2 years ago) and yet it's turning out to be one of my favorite shows. Always great going into a show expecting nothing and getting pleasantly surprised.
Only one more impression to go. Should have it up tomorrow.
Im really not feeling Seiren. Its "comedy" isnt for me and I just dont find it very enjoyable to watch so far. Im curious if it gets any better but 2 episodes in it just isnt that good.
HelghastKillzone
That ending scene is an entire side-story compressed into that. Don't expect anymore of it from here on out as the it sticks to ruthless military/fantasy pretty well.
LookingForKeys
@Topgavin I think it was good, making it the second episode. That way the first set up the world the story will be in, and showed how much of a monster the "little girl" really is right at the end, and then made ep.2 the explanation. Nothing against Tanya trying to rip "God" a new one.
That after-credits scene, though...
Hmm, as much as I like Seiren's omnibus format, it doesn't turn out really hot this second episode. Demi-chan, on the other hand, still maintains its endearing tone. Might blogging Demi-chan instead
Yeah, that second episode was much better than the first. Dunno why they didn't start with that to be honest, waste of an opportunity for a good hook episode. The voice for the main girl still sounds weird to me though; I get it's supposed to sound weird because it symbolizes 'her' being out of place and her personality and body being a mismatch, but it'll certainly take some getting used to.
Youjo Senki, now we are talking. Like Helghast said, Did the god scene way better than the LN and manga. Made it less comedic and more intimidating.
Oh man that Rakugo intro. Not sure what to think, but first time seeing it I liked it
I sort of like good will hunting because I kind of saw a bit of myself in Damon's character when I watched it ages ago.
@Mario: Remaking psycho and ruining the shower scene, for shame van sant, for shame.
Its easy to ripoff some obscure thing though and get away with it. The dogtooth director essentially stole an old Mexican film to make that.
@Kaiser: yeah, that following some guys from behind like they were on a RPG games, which I think actually fit with the tones of Elephant. I have such mixed feeling with Gus van Sant too. Don't really think he's a great director.
@Mario: Although Istvan Szabo is probably a little more well known for that Mephisto film that updates the Faust story. Zoltan Fabri's the fifth seal is a very thought provoking war movie.
@Mario: I remember seeing a film documentary that featured Gus van sant in one section, they showed clips of tarrs films, Sant ripped of the cinematography and stole the style from some British short film to make Elephant.
@Kaiser: agree on the other Hungarian filmmakers, I don't know much about them either.
@Mario: Scorsese's Silence was a big comeback. I really really emotionally connect with spiritual crisis stories.
@kaiser: yep, definitely check wreckmeister down. Althought I admit that watching his 2-hour plus films will feel like 5-hour anyways
@Mario: I'm more tolerant of darker teenage/coming of age films/stories. Les Demons was a big surprise.
@Mario: Though its kind of frustrating, I do think Tarr probably takes attention away from other hungarian filmakers because no-body knows who the hell the others are.
@Mario: Man, wreckmeister was so visually arresting I started getting dreams from it.
@Mario: I would consider Tarr to be kind of a poor mans Janco, Angelopolus and Tarkvosky rolled into one. I don't entirely "get" wreckmeister and man from London but they are great atmospheric mood piece experiences.
@Kaiser: I had been wanting to watch Belar Tarr's Turin Horse and Werckmeister Harmonies for so long now. Well, Fat Girl is shocking haha, but I'm normally drawn into those kind of films anyway.
@Kaiser: Margaret took like 5,6 years to release because he couldn't cut it down in the way he wanted. The final cut if I remembered correctly was edited by Martin Scorsese
@Mario: Only a HDcam for moonlight now.
I looks like my lineup is witch academia, rakugo and youjo senki, well the most latter one until I get bored.
@Mario: I sense a directors cut for manchester, it feels like it need another 30 minutes.
@Kaiser: right up my valley. Watch Kenneth Lonergan's previous works Magaret and You Can Count on Me. Magaret is very messy but have a raw dialogue and interactions as well
Now the first episodes are over, I will keep on covering 3-gatsu, as for the other twos atm I have 3 options: 1) full romance/anti-romance high school Seiren/Scum's Wish. 2) slice-of-life moe monster girls Demi-chan/Maid Dragon and 3) Mature,dark Onihen/Acca (which although I like them I don't have much to talk about).If you guys have any preference on which shows you like covered then let me know
@Helghast: At this point I'm watching youjo senki as an entertaining guilty pleasure.
@Mario: Too many reboots upcoming, will wait for the dvds instead. I want to explore more of manchester by the sea's director's work. I also want to finally get more into Bela Tarr's stuff.
@Mario: I was rather shocked by A Ma souer/fat girls final act. Scenes with the Italian in the bedroom were initially creepy.
@Kaiser: it's a nice review Kaiser, a bit jealous with you that you've seen those 3 films which are touted as the best films of 2016. Also Fat Girl, haha, I love that movie.
Poor yotaro =< you have so much stuff going down on you =<
HelghastKillzone
Youjo Senki episode was so good today. That revamped scene with God just fitted so right.
A official release of that game in the west is apparently coming but it's been a few years and not much news about it.
@Aidan: Ah yes that was the one.
@Kaiser, Had to think for a moment on that one but I think I was talking about this. https://vndb.org/v3144
Now I'd hardly consider myself a studio trigger fan, but I watched the first witch academia episode there, it was actually kind of fun, got the same reaction from me as flipflappers did, that magical, special feeling.
@Mario: I also, of interest reviewed Kenneth Lonegrans new film: http://letterboxd.com/shao_liu_ringon/film/manchester-by-the-sea/
@Mario: Moonlight got some feels out of me though it could of been more, it ends abruptly and with 20 extra minutes they could have spent a bit more time on each section of his life.
@Mario: I checked out lala land, ending was very well executed, one of three scenes in the film that were impressive visually. The whole thing looked pretty and Gosling and Stone had some decent chemistry. Although it didn't resonate emotionally as strongly as the musicals of Jacques Demi did.
MOM I want aiyoku no eustia and I want it now.
I've never heard of himawari or tokyo babel. The hellsing comparison at least interests me in dies irae. What was the name of that visual novel again that was coming out soon, Aidan you described it as "And Kaiser would love it because its supposed to be really fucked up".
I vaguely remember the anime for 11 eyes, it was very forgettable, even the voice acting was poor, hated the childhood friends and the pacing was poor, those black knight things were kind of interesting though.
@Aidan: You'll have to add me onto the list of those unsatisfied with the ever 17 writer, I read one of those games and felt it was a bunch of interesting bait that never paid off.
Anyway I plan on doing a review of 11eyes here when I finish it.
Can't say I was a fan of Ever17. That was a really good twist but when it came to explaining it their was a lot of contrived development. Generally not a fan of the writer. Looseboy, Ryukishi, Gen and Nasu are more my kinda thing
@Anon, it is nice that so many VNs are on steam but I wish they wouldn't be stupid with the whole no adult content thing. Not so much for myself but to prevent idiots from writing negitives reviews because the game doesn't have sex. VNs can grip you in a way anime simply can't and while they require pathence and time those can be some pretty powerful stories.
@Aidan, I am so happy steam's so VN-friendly now. I think it's a very good type of media. Like anime, it has nice visuals, music and some movement but also the inner monologue and text amount of books. It's the perfect combination. Plus, the routes, which are often puzzle pieces and PoVs you have to go through to understand the whole story. True routes like the one of Ever17 blew my mind.
Hopefully the two VNs I bought of steam turn out better. Tokyo Babel is supposed to be alright and I heard really good things about Himawari.
I am about a third of the way through the game and really not much of worth has happened. The concept is interesting but the execution is sorely lacking.
I went in expecting it to be a mixed bag and it's pretty below my expectations. It's just not really well written and the protagonist is a moron. THere isn't really routes and instead you are pretty much stuck with his childhood friend as the main love interest. Problem with that is her character begins and ends with loving the main.
@Aidan, damn. 11Eyes is on my reading list as well. Although I almost expected it to not be as good as I thought it'd be (back then). Guess I would have enjoyed it if I was able to read it while the (shitty) adaption aired, maybe I have seen/read too many series by now. Guess I'll still give it a try some day though.
@Anon, I haven't heard the OST or watched the intro video. I only know it be reputation and have decided to walk into it as blind as I can. Still slightly worried as I was somewhat looking forward to reading 11Eyes for a couple of years and now that I am reading it it's well...not good.
@Aidan, same here. I was waiting years for this, since I saw the intro video for the first time. Also, that OST!
HelghastKillzone
Youjo Senki is already leagues better than Izetta. It's going to be top anime of forever and ever. (maybe not)
And finally Dies Irae is funded. May actually be able to play and finish the game before the anime airs. If the hype is real behind this baby it could be a new personal favorite Visual Novel of mine. Already looking promising with it being like a cross between Hellsing and Fate/Stay Night. Two things I most certainly like.
@Masky, in regards to style over substance thats where im at with Gurrne Lagann.
Yeah, I'll probably watch the next episode to see whether it can redeem itself. Hopefully it can but considering 1st episodes usually get a lot of budget, there's some severe doubt in there.
I actually argee with character designs and voices are bad in regards to female characters. Still the next episode might change your mind if we get more into the main characters head.
It's boring
Also, it seems I disagree with a lot of people in thinking Youjo Senki will be a massive trainwreck. The character designs are awful, the voice acting is mismatched but most of all the premise just seems so very dumb. If I wanted to watch a badass kill people I'd go watch Hellsing or Drifters, because at least those don't have some op, disproportionate loli as the mc.
Gets even more complicated when you account for Satire and Parody. You could equally argue all examples listed as being as such.
Little Witch Academia is a decontruction of Harry Potter....I don't believe that but honestly if I tried I could put some reasoning behind that statement.
In the end, it always comes down to opinion (as with every discussion about anime, for some reason). You could spin any and every series as a "deconstruction", which is why people shy away from using the word. You could argue NGE, Madoka and Re:Zero are all deconstructions yet also argue Gundam, Precure and SAO are depending on what points you weigh more importantly.
Like, if deconstruction is supposed to be just "break the elements and then play story how it would realistically go down" well I haven't watched NGE, but as far as I know it does have stuff that isn't typical to mecha genre besides the "It would fuck up kids" thing plus "realistically how it would play out" is pretty subjective thing. I mean, its mainly about how cynical bastard the writer is :P
Like I said, I don't fully agree with it because I find video's speaker's attitude annoying, but I found it semi convincing. Main thing I don't find convincing about it is that I don't think its hard to turn video's own arguments agaisnt it and say that by its own logic NGE isn't deconstruction either, like Aidan just said earlier
And I don't really have energy for checking out the "correct" one. If there even is one. Anyway, the hipster video I was talking about was titled "What Actually Is A Deconstruction?" if you want to check it out.
Hmm, well, it does depend on definition you use. Like if you use "realistic" thing, well, Magical Girl shows don't usually have "You turn into monsters" thing going on and reason why NGE's pilots go crazy is from dangerous situations rather than evas making them do so. But honestly, I don't really have strong opinion on matter since word seems to be one of those with several different meaning
for me Madoka IS a deconstruction of Magical girl, and yeah like what Aidan said
I think part of Utena is a deconstruction of "prince riding horse and save the girl" because that notion is just a foundation for Utena to become a prince herself and save other girl. That's breaking it apart and resemble it again in its own way. Don't have to be dark/ don't have to be real either
@Masky, That's just debating semantics. Besides that difinition would pretty much mean that Neon Genesis Evangelion isn't a decontruction either. Madoka isn't a decontruction because it's dark. It's more in its aspects of criticising why a girl should throw her ordinary life away for something as dangerous as being a magical girl. It does take plenty of the typical tropes and turn them on its head
@Masky: Genre deconstruction is such a tricky word that I normally try to avoid using because there's really no set characteristic about the term and different people have different opinions about what constitute "deconstruction". For me, I disagree that deconstruction have to be dark and real, hmm can't say it well but I will give you an example:
But yeah, I guess I could try to find the video if you guys are interested, though like I said, I got hipsterish feel from the video and felt rather annoyed through it even though I did get what the point was and found it sort of convincing besides my annoyance
(not that liking NGE is hipsterish, its just that I find NGE to be more style than substance sort of series <_< Anyway, guy didn't dislike madoka or anything, he just seemed to dislike people using word deconstruction wrong in his opinion)
(especially with how much they seemed to praise Neon Genesis Evangelion)
I mean, I think the guy was being somewhat hipsterish, but its true the being darker take on genre isn't same as deconstructing the genre
@AidanAK47: Some other guy on youtube did video that had actually pretty good point about how Madoka isn't really deconstruction, if you go by definition of "Break it down to parts and then play them straight to show how horrifying it would be in real life"
Gente - Ristorante no Hitobito
If anything its the hate I have for certain characters that makes it more effective.
The obsessional level of attachment is just uncomfortable to me, I don't want to get THAT attached to a non-real character.
Its literally just a case of "Okay lets look at this picture of this character, she looks interesting, no feelings or expression from me, apply this fetish, fap, get release, go home. "
Or drooling/dribbling/heavy breathing/grinning over the characters. I abhor alot of the anime girls I find attractive or am indifferent, even when looking at ecchi/hentai drawings I'm straight and clinical with it.
I mean to each their own. But I really hate the level of emotion/devotion to moe/finding the characters attractive. Such as celebrating their birthdays, going on about how cute/hot they are, how important it is that they're virgins. Or not being being self-aware of how irritating the characters are.
Anime hipster is pretty accurate. His general treatment of the current state of anime is annoying, as is his obsession with moe. Maybe its cause I cant stand moe most of the time, but it bugs me.
@Lenlo: Essentially my brothers view on digibro.
@Aidan: I don't usually feel the need to correct errors in your reviews as the errors are generally un-important, but I think you meant to say apprentices rather than appearences in the Rakugo review, just bringing that up as it felt like kind of a throw off.
Which is kinda like saying Madoka wasn't a magical girl deconstruction because Sailor Moon and Nanoha had dark elements too.
Went and read the reddit comments on it and seems I was right on the money.
@Lenlo, He's basically a anime hipster. For example, I saw a thumbnail of his which had Saitama on it and below it "Is There Meaning In "Subverting" Shounen Tropes?" and I thought "Okay, he's going to go on about how OPM isn't subversive and then list a bunch of arbitrary examples in an attempt to redefine what is actually subversive"
I have lots of issues with Digibro. Dude has some good points, but other very horrible ones. Some issues he feels strongly about and gets kinda biased on imo.
acca looks visually interesting, and I personally really dig this kind of show, but it seems that it's definitely not for everyone
Time to live up to my word. Four posts incoming.
Man, Little witch Academia was so good. I disagree with the whole Digibro thing about being able to recognise a great show in it's first episode but watching this makes me think that this really is going to be something special.
Alright, gonna put in effort today and have 3 or 4 first impressions posts done. That should knock out near half the season.
Had a flip through handshakers. Garish is the word I'd use to describe it visually, it takes you out of the show.
ASuperMario From the first minute I can already tell it's by the same people that made K. Those colour filters and the extremely jarring/obvious city CGI is unmistakable.
Hand Shakers, literally makes my hands shaking. It's an abosolute mess. Highly recommended to check it out because it's so terrible it's great to watch
Vonter212
Yeah, and it's also a literal woman in refrigerator plot device, since that the thing that pushes the story forward.
I'd say that having to hide your sister's body in fridge would count as daaaaaaark and edgy, but when the body is wearing only underwear, and for some reason main character put metal things in fridge to keep body standing(I guess to not knock fridge open from inside?) I think it goes to "exploitation" you are talking about
Vonter212
@Masky - Did someone said doing dark things for drama? That's the bread and butter to get despair. Unless it's for the sake of perversion. Then it's just exploitation.
@Masky: His other works dead tube and scumbag go further in the unhinged regard.
*relies on easy "let's do [x dark thing] for drama!" thing
Geez, Mayonaka no X Giten is fricking disturbing/disgusting ._. I'm pretty sure that writing relies on e, but I can't help but think mangaka is trying to make corpses sexy.
I found Onihei to be quite good, actually one of the most solid new episode I watched this new season. Guys, check them out
I just hope it doesn't fall into the same misstep Kabaneri or Inuyasha or Bleach fall by making a villain so over the top that it crossed the line of not having a satisfying downfall.
@Vonter I think they just moved on. I lost interest rather quickly and I guess even the fans did that at some point, like with some other long-running series. There is much more new and more direct "fujo" stuff out there, many of them probably switched. Don't know what happens in the manga but maybe the story got worse or contained things some people didn't like.
January will be loli dictator month (for me) :p. World Conquest Zvezda Plot, Youjo Senki: Saga of Tanya the Evil (new), Seraph of the End. For some reason I stumble into three curious series with little power hungry girls. If I can ask, why did Owari Seraph's hype died, I remember back it was mentioned more often. It still has the fujoshi fanart but still, I don't see people bringing it up.
@CATski: well, if you didn't like its first 3 episodes I dont think the rest gonna change your mind. Have you finished Erased then? How did you like it?
But I understand it's difficult to speak in front of camera, get some time to get used to it
@kaiser: I won't commend on poem as I'm terrible at it myself but younneed to work more on presentation Kaiser. Small little things like looking directly at the camera or say "thanks for listening" in the end can connect you to the audience better
Ok. I'll give the thing another chance. *clicks torrent* XD. CATski.
@Topgavin: You might like centaur no nanami if you like demi-chan.
Damn...repeated myself =<
There are these things called slam sessions done in bars where people get up and read out stuff in front of a crowd and read stuff out. Actually watching rakugo made me think about practicing for that kind of thing.
@Mario: the video I did was of me reading out a short piece of writing I did, a poem. lol I uploaded it to the wrong youtube account too I just realized =P
[link src="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypBZ2hBDBYs&t=11s
I"] was recording this from my mothers laptops inbuilt cam while reading off my desktop.
@Kaiser: I think it's a good idea for you to try out reviewing movies/stuffs in youtube channel. I'll be very interesting to listen to them
@Topgavin: Agree. Demi-chan was so charming. Definately one of my favorite so far this new season
Demi-chan's first episode was good. Like, really really good. That blonde-haired girl was hilarious, the teacher-student relationship between the MC and the girls is really interesting and the social/practical problems the demi's face make it look like my favorite show so far.
CATski
Ah... ok. Is it really that good or it's just one of those "artsy" animes that tend to get overrated by their ardent fans? I didnt find the rakugo bit interesting.... probably the weakest aspect of the show for me.
@Aidan: Why did I read that chapter. Why did I do that to myself.
Admittedly yes the premise is not for everyone, but if you stick with it, the flashback arc had some good character work in there.
CATski
Rakugo has a season 2? I watched ep 1 - 3 of season 1 then promptly deleted it. The loud "yankee" dude was annoying. And the anime was boring.
Oh man, I've been thinking lately of trying to start some kind of youtube channel. I did a few trial run videos. Its much much harder than it looks, didn't realize how nervy being in front of a video camera was.
*a declining art and rakygo halls are closing down
As the show continues to mention how "its declining art", that got me thinking of the modern day, how while things like tv and cinemas probably hurt attendances for rakugo performances, the internet has replaced theaters .
Ah, now I've watched it. It'll be interesting to see Yotaro's relation to sukeroku's daughter develop. By all intents he should be an irritating character and not as interesting a yakumo based on his personality, but I can't help but like him, example of a goofball character done right.
ElDlive is looking good
I haven't gotten around to rakugo's second seasons first episode yet =<
Just looking at masamunes female protaganist I want to punch her.
Vapid would be how I'd describe it, I didn't care about Masamune no revenge but at least there was some life to it.
Ah, suzuka I remember a friend telling me when I got halfway through the anime to literally run from it and not continue. I flicked through fuukas first two episodes and played count the cliches.
While I definitely got something out of Yojo senki's manga, I found the first episode easier to get through than the manga, in terms of pace and exposition.
@Masky, Fuuka chapter 135. Read and be amazed.
Ah sorry ._.; And wait, there is another twist later on? What
@Masky, Even if it's a crap show don't go posting spoilers on the chatbox.
Oh and that's just the begining, a really dumbass twist happened recently in the manga.
@Aidan: I'm away a whole day again so I'll be a bit late on my impressions.

Some Quick First Impressions: Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2, Chaos;Child, Marginal#4 KISS Kara Tsukuru Big Bang and Scums Wish

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2 Short Synopsis: Kazama stands trial after accidentally blowing up a lord’s manor while saving the town. This show certainly hasn’t lost it’s charm. I had the biggest smile on my face while watching and it even managed to get me laughing out loud at points. I will admit […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Onihei, Gabriel DropOut and ACCA – 13-ku Kansatsu-ka

Onihei Short Synopsis: A captured thief joins the police to hunt down his old leader. For a studio’s first work this is quite a solid offering. The beginning reminded me of samurai champloo though this seems more a traditional samurai story. Animation isn’t anything too impressive but it does the job and there is some […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Hand Shakers, Kemono Friends and Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon

Hand Shakers Short Synopsis: A boy holds the hand of a girl he finds in a hospital room and ends up in a supernatural battle to the death. GoHands, you know what would be great? If you know, instead of slapping on lens flares and colour filters all over the place, you just don’t do […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Little Witch Academia, Idol Jihen and elDLIVE

Little Witch Academia Short Synopsis: A normal girl goes to attend a academy for witches You know if the remaining 24 episodes are as great as this one this anime may end up on of my all time favorites list. Animation is great and full of personality, story is simple but fun and I had […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Spiritpact, Demi-chan wa Kataritai and Chain Chronicle – Haecceitas no Hikari

Spiritpact Short Synopsis: A boy is killed by a truck and finds himself teamed up with an exorcist as a ghost. Sorry China, by all means keep trying but this isn’t going to top Japanese animation any time soon. So what’s wrong? Well the animation is fairly basic, the characters are annoying and the comedy […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu S2, Seiren and Urara Meirochou

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu S2 Short Synopsis: A former ex-con hopes to keep the profession of Rakugo alive. It’s good to see this show hasn’t lost it’s touch in between the seasons and having Yotaro do a recap of the first season through Rakugo was a particularly great touch. The drama is still excellent and […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Youjo Senki, Schoolgirl Strikers and Minami Kamakura Koukou Joshi Jitensha-bu

Youjo Senki   Short Synopsis: A little girl named Tanya Degurechaff fights for the German Empire in World War One as the most dangerous sorcerer of the imperial army. However, she is actually one of Japan’s most elite salarymen, who prioritizes efficiency and her own career over anything else, that was reborn as a little […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 12 [What Lies on the Opposite Shore – Black River (part 1)]

3-gatsu no Lion is back again in the new year with another stellar episode. Structure-wise, I think this is one of the most confident episode 3-gatsu no Lion has delivered for a while, as the show handled multiple tones and aspects in Rei’s current life in one neat package. This episode begins with a deep […]

Some Quick First Impressions: AKIBA’ S TRIP: THE ANIMATION, Fuuka and Masamune-kun no Revenge

AKIBA’ S TRIP: THE ANIMATION Short Synopsis: A boy and girl fight off possessed humans by stripping them of their clothes. Honestly I expected this to be a lot worse but it could turn out decently watchable if the rest of the episodes match this then this could turn out to be a good series. […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100