Posted by psgels on 28 February 2009 with categories: Monthly Summaries

A bit of a boring list this time perhaps, since it looks mostly the same as last month’s with perhaps a few small differences. Nevertheless, this was a very good month. The winter season has proven to be an excellent one, and quite a few series spent this month getting even better than they already were. Oh, and I dropped Kemono no Souja Erin for those who were wondering. Wake me up if it turns out to be more than just a World Masterpiece Wannabe.

#24 (new) – Fresh! Precure – (7,5/10) – … why am I still watching this thing!?
#23 (24) – Kurokami The Animation – (7,75/10) – I still can’t quite grasp where this series is going, but it’s still mostly building up and fleshing out the Mototsumita-setting. So far, it’s solid, though it hasn’t hit any heights yet. My highlight this month was the episode with the other Mototsumita who made a contract with a substitute.
#22 (33) – Hetalia: Axis Powers – (7,75/10) – Okay, so my attempt at blogging this series failed, but it’s still a pretty fun and random series with interesting historical references. I’m looking forward to see the other countries show up.
#21 (20) – Mobile Suit Gundam 00 – (8/10) – Oh, I just hope that the finale is going to be all right for this series. Some parts of the past months have been really good, but at the same time the action has been repetitive apart from the two episodes about the coup d’etat, and the Saji vs Louise storyline STILL hasn’t become better, even after nearly fifty episodes.
#20 (10) – Gintama – (8/10) – Ouch… This episode saw the subbed versions of the episodes that were jointly directed by the old and new directors of the series, and there’s one thing that immediately becomes clear: the jokes start feeling flat. It may just be me getting used to the new style, but the timing just felt off and most of the jokes missed their mark. Thank goodness the serious parts were still as awesome as ever, but I’m worried here. Let’s see what the new director can do when he’s alone in the director’s seat.
#19 (19) – Minami-Ke – (8/10) – I’m a bit behind on this series, but overall while it’s not proven to be something awesome it remains pretty enjoyable to see the different antics of the Minami sisters. There’s hardly anything annoying or flawed, so I’m glad to have picked up this series.
#18 (23) – Koukaku no Regios – (8/10) – This turned into a pretty sold series, and the stereotypes are getting less and less apparent and annoying. My only gripe is that horrible, horrible Engrish, but I’m interested to see where this series can go.
#17 (22) – Ride Back – (8/10) – I really have a hate/love relationship with this series. On one hand, it continues to tug on my suspense of disbelief (why out of all people did the younger brother get involved, and why was everyone shot down and brutally killed, while he managed to survive long enough or Rin to arrive), but on the other hand, the characters do remain excellent.
#16 (13) – One Outs – (8,25/10) – So in the end, this series didn’t turn out into a very deep or thought-provoking one, but instead one that’s just a lot of fun to watch. I’m getting more and more warmed up to the cast of characters.
#15 (7) – Tales of the Abyss – (8,25/10) – This month was mostly build-up for the big finale of this series, but it’s nevertheless been very solid. The development on the two characters who originally made me question where this series was going (the two little girls who rather felt out of place in a war between countries) was quite good and appreciated.
#14 (21) – Skip Beat – (8,25/10) – I have so many issues with this series that it’s going to have to need an entire review in order for me to be able to list them all. For now, let me just say that I may have chosen the wrong time to watch Glass Mask: the parts about acting in Skip Beat feel downright shallow and oversimplified when compared to that series. Still, I’m surprised that the different characters’ antics still remain hilarious.
#13 (8) – Natsume Yuujinchou – (8,25/10) – I’m still not exactly sure what I’m missing that the rest of the people do see with the second season. I still like this series a lot, but when compared to the stellar first season, there seems something missing, and my guess would be that the novelty of the premise is wearing out for me. Still, the soothing atmosphere is still there.
#12 (16) – Sora wo Miageru Shoujo no Hitomi ni Utsuru Sekai – (8,5/10) – So, the glorified recap is finally over and this series can finally start filling in the huge holes that the original OVAs left behind. The pacing is still really fast, but I so hope that this series is going to last for 24 episodes.
#11 (17) – Druaga no Tou – (8,5/10) – This is really typical of Druaga no Tou. First you have episodes like the one with the shadows, which really were quite terrible and full of holes, and then when you’re about to give up on the series, it hits you with some really good and solid episodes that completely make up for the past screw-ups and silliness,and they fully explained what Neeba and Kaaya had been doing for the past six months.

#10 (14) – Tytania – (8,5/10)

A bit of a quiet month for Tytania with only two episodes aired, but there was some good stuff in it. This series sure took a long time to get fired up, but the end results are worth it.

#9 (12) – White Album – (8,75/10)

Ah, I’m so in love with the subtle execution of this series. It’s also proven to be quite a thought-provoking series: what does it mean to cheat on your girlfriend, and in what cases is it justified. There are lots of different opinions and ways to interpret this series, which I feel is yet another one of its strengths.

#8 (9) – Genji Monogatari Sennenki – (8,75/10)

Now this is what Noitamina should be. After seven episode,s this series is still going solid, with some beautiful eye candy along the way. Now let’s see if the creators can give this one a solid conclusion.

#7 (15) – Jigoku Shoujo – (8,75/10)

Muaha! It’s time for the real meat of the series to show up at last. I’m very excited to see what the creators have in store for the climax this time.

#6 (6) – Hajime no Ippo – (8,75/10)

Episode eight was pure slaughter, and yet this series is just getting better and better. If the original series was just as good as this, then I can understand why it became so popular.

#5 (11) – Shikabane Hime – (8,75/10)

Screw the shounen cliches, this series rocks! Especially the characters are excellent, thanks to all the build-up that the first season put into them, and there seems to be no end in sight for the character development of the second season.

#4 (3) – Michiko e Hatchin – (9/10)

As solid and fun as ever.Michiko to Hatchin continues its perfect balance between intelligence, action, fun, drama, romance, and a whole lot more things. Every episode this month has been a delight to watch.

#3 (2) – Casshern Sins – (9/10)

Everything is finally coming together for this series, and the results are awesome so far. The series is evolving, and yet the creators aren’t forgetting what made it so awesome in the first place.

#2 (4) – Clannad – (9,25/10)

Well, there you have it. The past few episodes have been nothing short of incredible. Ushio has pushed this series into a unique direction, going even further than Itazura na Kiss went.

#1 (1) – Birdy the Mighty Decode – (9,5/10)

I’m still amazed at how incredibly good and awesome this series has become. Nearly every episode so far has been utterly amazing, and I just have to love the animation style.

1. Kalandra says:

No mark for Haruhi or Churuya? I enjoy Haruhi (episode 3 was the funniest for me), and Churuya was… weird. I understood it came from the fan comic, but I never understood the fan comic and I don’t understand this. I usually find randomness pretty funny, this was just randomness to me without being funny.

2. Scamp says:

Normally my list is pretty much the same as your but not any more. With the exception of Casshern I’m really not mad on any of your top 10, although I haven’t seen Ippo.

One Outs, Hetalia, Ride Back and Casshern top everything else this season for me

3. Gigi says:

Toradora is my number 1, the recent episodes have been breathtakingly good and it’s on its way to compete with Honey&Clover as my favorite romantic comedy ever.

For the others, Shikabane Hime and Birdy are going strong, I’m not the biggest fan of Clannad but I have to admit that the last few episodes really made me feel emotional and Michiko to Hatchin is just great fun.

4. totoum says:

Still trying to catch up on a lot of anime,i’ve just watched the first episode of one outs:kaiji was different from akagi that’s why i wanted to watch that show ,but in the 1st episode it just seems like toa is like akagi,am i getting a wrong impression based on 1 episode or is that the case?

5. Westlo says:

You should put some stuff on back order and watch the first Ippo series.

6. ka says:

yay for clannad!

7. psgels psgels says:

Kalandra: I enjoyed neither of them, to be honest, possibly because I’m not a fan of the show. They were so bad that I didn’t even bother to include them in this list.

Totoum: I haven’t seen Akagi, so I can’t be sure, but throughout One Outs Tokuchi pwns everyone who dares to oppose him.

8. Wow, I’ve come to notice that you have rather arbitrary taste in anime.

9. As a follow up to that and to clarify that what I said wasn’t necessarily meant to be critical, I’ve noted that you are at least very reasonable within your own set of criteria and I have yet to see you apply different standards of judgement between one series and the next like a lot of other review blogs. Kudos for avoiding that pitfall.

10. Denizen says:

Birdy as top? I can’t agree more.

I don’t really understand people’s dislike for the engrish in Regios. I can’t honestly begin to take those flashbacks seriously, and that just makes them more enjoyable. (I CAN SHE ZA BURRET)

Munto is much higher in enjoyment for me. True, that might be because of EXPLOSIONS HURR but I am generally enjoying it much more than I would have expected from a KyoAni show about mystical elves.

I still need to catch up on Casshern Sins.

Considering your comments about similarities, next month should probably be the same, except most of these series will be finishing.

I’m looking forward to Spring 2009, are you going to be using your “no insight” method of approaching new shows like usual?

11. Mu says:

What?!? No “Kemono no Sou Ja Erin” in the top 10?!?

There MUST BE something wrong…

12. c160 says:

I think you’re expecting the wrong things from Kemono Souja no Erin.I think it’s not supposed to be something like the WMT series but more like Xam’d,where a big grand war will happen with mystical elements involved.Just instead of the BONES style of story telling,they did a chapter by chapter,more linear type of story telling.

Of course all of what I said is just my own take on it,but so far I’m loving Erin and I really don’t feel the WMT series vibe for most of the time(the episode with the bride was really pushing it though :p).

13. c160 says:

btw,psgels you should definitely watch Turn A Gundam.It’s like a WMT series,with Gundam!Though you might want to watch it after finishing 00,’cause you might start to hate the Gundam franchise after seeing them so much :p

On that note,any prediction for the ending of 00?

14. psgels psgels says:

Denizen: yup; that’s my plan at least.

c160: I myself just kept seeing it as some sort of combination between the early episodes of Les Miserables and Porfy no Nagai Tabi, but with dragons, so yeah, I just dropped this series because I know that it’s going to be near-impossible for it to live up to these expectations. ^^;

As for Gundam 00, my prediction will be an ending where nearly all of the main characters die with lots and lots of screaming. I really hope that that prediction will be wrong.

15. Mu says:

@C160: I think Erin is way more similar to Moribito than Xam’d. Even if I loved both of them, the only thing I can figure out Xam’d could share with Erin is the role of the female as a guide for the main character (Nakiami/Haru for Akiyuki, Soyon always in Erin’s mind). I just hoped to see at least a monthly post by Psgels concerning this little masterpiece ^^

16. c160 says:

to Mu: sorry if you misunderstood,my post was directed at psgels.Your post wasn’t there when I typed mine ^^;
    When I compared Erin to Xam’d,I was actually referring to the war theme that both series have(or seems to have for Erin).Sorry,bad comparison there :P

to psgels: Yeah,that’s what I predicted for 00 too >_

17. mds says:

well,I have the same opinion about Erin as Mu does….What we hope now iz the sub wasn’t going to stop because its damn 51 ep long …xp…

BTW,psgels,are you dropping Viper’s Creed? I don’t see it anywhere on your list

18. Wyrdwad says:

What episodes of Druaga did you find so terrible? I actually think the show’s been really solid… not a bad episode yet, and no signs of any to come. It’s honestly becoming one of my favorite fantasy series of all time, and depending on how it ends, it stands to usurp that throne from PopoloCrois – and as you might imagine, coming from me, that’s saying a whole hell of a lot. (:

-Tom

19. I’d be enjoying Munto a whole lot more if I could make any sense of the story or if it would at least stop taking itself so goddamn seriously. Right now the characters seem more brooding then anybody in Gundam 00 could ever hope to be.

Move Gundam 00 up in the rankings and bring Munto down (in fact you could almost just switch their spots) and you’d have something closer to how I would rank the shows.

20. xyan says:

yes – “Birdy the Might Decode” has been a pleasant surprise this season

21. psgels psgels says:

mds: yeah, I also dropped Viper’s Creed because I ended up watching too many shows otherwise, and this one sounded like the one with the least amount of potential of the shows I’m watching.

Tom: The episode that mostly did it was the one with the desert. I was really disappointed at the huge amount of plotholes that appeared, and also the huge incompetence of the group of soldiers that was sent after the lead characters also was very annoying, but the past two episodes have really made up for them.

22. Wyrdwad says:

I’ll admit, that wasn’t the best episode, but it was conceptually interesting, and I still found it very enjoyable to watch. I also think they did a nice job of explaining most of the plot points introduced therein.

And I didn’t see anything wrong with the behavior of the group of soldiers. Have you ever personally experienced being in a group of people that large being led by an incompetent person? It happens all the time – my job is a good example – and the decisions made by people in groups like that can be pretty gloriously bad. I thought that was actually some pretty realistic behavior. (:

-Tom

23. Aegd says:

God… The last episode of Kemono no souja Erin had some horrible, horrible animation and they also cycled animation to the point where I just wanted to claw my eyes out over how horrible it was. I’m usually not the person who notice these things either, so that makes it all the much worse. I think they showed the same picture of roaring lizards about 10 times in a minute.

If they go for a simplistic artstyle they have no fucking right to go ahead and skip out on the animation… and why the hell do they insist on using animated lizards when the artstyle is so simplistic?

It’s pissing me off so much that they decide to go and ruin a series like this.

I wonder if Harvey Weinstein is leaking information now that they've caught him.
Spacey and Rolf Harris were genuine surprises to me though.
Basically what I'm getting at is that I'm glad that we live in an era where people actually speak up.
Had attitudes been different, these people would have gotten their due sooner.
One of the reasons why its so much easier for all these people to be exposed now, is that because back in the 60s and 70s no-one gave a shit .
The worst I ever heard of celebrity sex scandals though was Jimmy Saville.
In some cases the people involved are difficult to look at their faces, Klaus Kinski is terrifying .
A film like Pretty baby could never ever be made now.
Suddenly American beauty is painted in a whole new light.
Think about Chinatown though, Noah Cross(the villain) gets away with raping and impregnating his own daughter , Polanski gets away with raping a teenager. I mean its a great mystery thriller but yeah theres the paralell.
The thing is, everyone inside the industry or had worked directly with Lasseter all know about this, and it had been going on for over 15 years now
I was fairly disappointed in Kevin Spacey's case since at one time I liked his acting so much, same goes with Lasseter but yeah, I can separate their outputs with the messy personal lives.
I too tend to try and separate the creator from his creations. But it is not always easy.
Niello
Also f*ck, Houseki no Kuni chapter 62 spoiler. Phos didn't have Rutile's permission.
Niello
@Eoghan, as long as I don't have to see their face it's not much of a problem for me. That's a good thing about animation I suppose.
In general I don't have much trouble keeping on with something even if the creator/creators are awful people, it doesn't really change the quality of the content of the work they produced.
Man, this week there's been prospects of the US and European governments to regulate loot crate systems. And also the mangaka of the classic Rurouni Kenshi having underage material. And John Lasseter having bad manners around female employees. Is curious when one gets on the dilemma of separating the work from the creator.
Damn it. Didn't get Scathach. I knew my chances were low but...still feels bad.
Finally back after several days that I didn't feel like blogging at all. Hope that was just a small slump of burnout and nothing too serious
@Kaiser: agree with you on On Body and Soul, the otherworldly dream sequences are the best part, the romance is so-so and the investigation is fairly weak that I still don't know its importance to the story
@Lenlo: It was you that got me to watch it actually, your posts.
@Kaiser I am glad you think so on Inuyashiki. Ive loved every episode of it so far
But Dies Irae is the best comedy of the season.....
Unless he means Kino? In that case I've never read the novels.
Juuni taisen is also better watched as it expands on its source material.
If you mean girls last tour then thats better off watched too as its more immersive that way.
Inuyashiki is a definite watch as the pacing is much better than the manga, houseki elevates its source visually so theres that.
@Anon: It really depends on the series. If you mean a current anime, then watch. Because the current season is full of good manga adaptions (if you mean Dies Irea, then read)
I am not even one of those who condemn fanservice in anime like Illya for example, but this.. welp. Guess I rather watch the new MahouTsukai episode now.
@Kaiser: Why do they want to do that? I don't think this is a good idea. Man the whole world seems to go back instead of going forward the last yers
Seems like it was actually 5 child prostitutes that's even worse. Maybe not even that but just school girls I can't into kanji and I only see the *chan thread right now.
@Amagi: Apparently in France they want to lower the age of consent now. They are also still protecting Polanski.
Kaiser-Eoghan: Just saw it too, just wanted to see if the Kenshin mangaka thread was still there and now this too.
Watch or read? Which do you recommend more?
@Amagi: I see Toriko's author was caught with teenage prostitutes.
And now I'm thinking, some of my enjoyment of the original Kino was partly due to watching it dubbed.
@Amagi: Its is true that I would prefer kino to go deeper than it is allowed to.
@Amagi: mild Asperger syndrome , in my case its a touch discomfort thing.
Also, damn - I just a saw a thread regarding the Kenshin thing
@Kaiser-Eoghan: Agree with Kino, there are a few things I prefer in the older version too. Although I have to admit that many plot points I would have viewed as deep 10 years ago feel very simplistic and naive by now, like how simple minded the people are, especially if plot dictates them to be. Welp. Also, there is another autist here?
@Anon: Maybe not, but you'd probably do well to watch the show.
@Kaiser-Eoghan: Is Weed really for kid though? -.- Also, the pups are cuter in this one.
@Niello: Bitches don't know about my Ginga densetsu weed =P
Niello
This is very much a kid version of Wolf's Rain.
Niello
I finally found this thing. Been looking for it for years. The problem now is even if I know the name it's going to be hard to find a way to watch this thing again... https://myanimelist.net/anime/3355/Fortune_Dogs
The Kenshin author was caught with images of child sex abuse. Things have turned into a fallout since the Weinstein case.
I like to keep deadlines. Adds some consistency to things. Appreciate it though
@Lenlo: No need to apologize lol. I don't think anyone expects you to drop everything in order to blog. XD Just do what you can and keep up the great work. d=(^_^)=b
Sorry for the slow turnaround on Mahoutsukai this week. Moving into a new apartment and work is abit busy. Should be up tomorrow though.
@Mario: I dug the premise and though there could have been more dream sequences its prettily shot, especially within those sequences, I was surprised by the suicide attempt and didn’t see it coming and it succeeded in being uncomfortable.
Although I did find the film sometimes a bit sterile and overlylong
@@Mario: I'm torn on Body and soul, speaking as someone who has autism, I genuinely felt that the depiction of the female protagonist was solid and was backed by good acting, as autism is generally overly associated with male characters, seeing it through a female focus was a bonus.
Its an odd season, with shows I had no expectations of being favourites and one I looked forward to being a disappointment.
I know we mentioned before on here but I honestly did wish that one episode, the 6th one WAS an additional backstory, it would have elevated the episode for me.
The original had a grittier artstyle that clashed less with the setting.
I do think some of these episodic shows could benefit from two parters, this kino season especially.
But its not a good sign when I forgot some episodes content of this new adaptation less than a week after their airing.
And I don't say it lightly about the original having a strong degree of consistent quality, even the best episodic series often can't avoid being uneven but again I never felt the original ever fell into that trap .
Its the consistency I miss in this version, I enjoyed all the episodes in the original, this being more of a mixed bag sticks out like a sore thumb.
Want to specify I did love the Murder country episode and the Liar country episode, the ship country episode was an episode of two halves, the latest episode was too slight .
Honestly I think I'll play it safe with the new Kino and just wait till it ends and pick the most recommended stories.
The ED of Silver Spoon Season 1 is also amazing.
SuperWooper
"Fighter" by Bump of Chicken is the best I've heard in the last few years (3-gatsu ED 1)
SuperWooper
"Ride on Shooting Star" by The Pillows is my favorite (FLCL)
Nie
Also Akatsuki no Yona ending https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nepa6vDr-gM
Nie
Seriously though, Freedom Opening is too underappreciated: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbIy0zMukn4
Nie
if not just song then: Eden of the East, ERASED, both SSY EDs, FMA ED2, Welcome to NHK, Kekkai Sensen, Conan 40
Honestly I skip the op/ed themes for everything, there are some I haven't even heard.
@anon1579752: personally don't care much about EDs, since I hit the close button as soon as the episode's over. But this one is easy, Flowers of Evil ED
321...best anime EDs of all time...GO
Nielo
Oops nvm IGNORE MY COMMENT
Nielo
@KTravlos: Which part of Chielo? How many heads?
Finally a great Altair episode. For once the pacing was a boon rather than a bane, and I loved the idea of Chielo.
Nielo
I have the Vagabond volumes...still haven't touch it. I just don't feel like starting another manga I'll have to wait forever.
Vagabonds only issue, to me, is the lack of release. I love it, its beautiful, and my god I have waited years for it to update. Its like Berserk all overagain
If I could changed something about kujira no kora, it would be toning down that overthetop shounen-kid villain henchman.
I feel as if I would read more of vagabond if the author ever finished it, the art however is beautiful.
A thing I really like about there stuff is that since they are set post-One Year War, most characters are veterans and they actually behave like veterans. Thus battles are more than just curbstomps etc. I really suggest their gundam stuff. Manga wise start with the Plot to Assassinate Gihren.
I have to say the ARK Performance gundam-verse is one of the favorite uses of the gundam concept . They really do a good job tying their stories together and with the original series.
If were talking manga as well, since I dont realy VNs/LNs, Vinland Saga, Vagabond, Berserk and Basara are all way up there for me
I can probably disect pages on end of Kyousougiga. As for Sun Knight, it's translated from Taiwanese, so the chance of it getting an anime is a big fat zero. Not to mention that it is probably one of the hardest thing to translate into video format, movies or series, animated or not.
@SuperMario Animation vs. Animator?
Kyousougiga was a creative and passionate anime. You can clearly see the love of the creators put into it. But of the year 2013 nothing can beat The Eccentric Family and Flowers of Evil for me
@Niello: I'm willing to give Sun Knight and Dorohedoro (or I should wait for the anime adaptation in few years?) a try but not anytime soon. My next of queue is Night is Short and re-watch of Now and Then. Sorry if I sound like a broken records but lately I haven't had that much time for myself.
..."Mario, what the heck is this??". so we stopped. My friends weren't trying to be rude so I didn't feel any offense, but the thought of watching a stick figure never cross their mind, hence the reaction. Anime fares much better in that regards since people still willing to watch it
(about people's hesitance towards animation medium): Tell me about it. Few years ago I had a Saturday movie night with my mates, one time I convinced them to watch a short animated film "Come one, it's one of the best thing I've seen this year" "It's only 15 minutes so you guys can watch them easily". So they agreed but as soon as the stick figure comes onscreen. My friend turned off...
Lol just found out that there's a Sense8 (on Netflix) easter egg in "Just Because" ep 3 xD, made my day!!!!
Forgot to say this, but anyone willing to give the Sun Knight novel a try, in some ways, it is quite similar to Houseki no Kuni. While it is mainly comedy....it also has a lot of suffering.
silver
@Niello/Anaon1578774?: I watched Kyousougiga maybe 6mos. ago, so I think I'll enjoy it more when I rewatch it sometime in a year or so. Seems most of my top picks cemented their place after a second viewing
@Silver It speaks to me on a personal level no other fiction has comes close to matchin. so it has a very special place in my heart. It's also one of those that get better with each rewatch. I seem to have a penchant for liking what often get described by others as convoluted, this is one of them. I also adore Matsumoto's directing and all the symbolisms.
silver
@Kaiser: I neglected film in my youth as well.. and also in adulthood. A popular gag amongst my friends is that, "silver's never seen any movie ever." I hadn't seen star wars until a girl I dated in uni forced me to watch 4-6...
silver
Hah when I posted about liking works adapted from every medium I wondered if it was going to spark a 'top 10' discussion, but when I was trying to mentally rank them I remembered how hard it was...
@Niello: interesting that Kyousougiga is your all-time #1. I thought it was lovely but probably doesn't make the cut for me
Novels are somewhat alien territory to me as I tend to watch adaptations be they film or otherwise.
@Niello: I've watched thousands in the past few years because I neglected the medium in childhood.
Nielllo
Unless you mean animated only.
Nielllo
@Eoghan: I don't think I watched enough films at all, and that's made even worst when I forget most of them after a couple of years.
Nielllo
@SuperMario: I really recommend The Legend of the Sun Knight novel. Think it's something you'll probably enjoy quite a bit. It's quite cleverly written. You can read the official fan translation online.
@Mario: A top ten film list for me is even harder, I can't even attempt.
Akumetsu> death note
FITE ME.
Gunslinger girl gets such a strong mention from me because I feel that action stories often work better when you care about the characters.
<No Freesia adaptation
<No Eden adaptation
<No full production IG Alita film series
<why live =<
Nielllo
@SuperMario: There are some anime I'm not going to watch just because the manga is superior, period. Good examples are Monster and One Piece.
Nielllo
@Eoghan: Oh, I knew about Wolfram mangaka's apprenticeship already :p
@Mario: First however, When mountains may depart, By Jia Zhangke, I am full romance mood.
Planetes and Vinland saga have to go somewhere on a list. Oddly they share the same creator.
@Mario: Reminds me Dreams by Kim-ki-duk.
@Niello: I mentioned Dorohedoro's author was Nihei's apprentice, but heres another interesting one, the mangaka for Wolfram apprentice under BOTH Kento Miura and Kaoru Mori.
@Kaiser: gladly. On Body and Soul is a weird mix of romance drama, character study and a weirdly magical bond between two people who share the same dream. That weirdness is what make the movie so memorable, although I do feel the ending stays out its welcome
Nihei, Umezu and Itou belong somewhere among my favourite mangaka.
I don't know why you'd mix manga/anime together, but my own top 10 is in my profile (click over my username), I've included anime/ movies together but if the list is purely anime shows I'd add Haibane Reimen as #9 and Humanity Has Declined as #10
Nielllo
Apart from Kyousougiga which is always no.1, and The Legend of the Sun Knight, Dorohedoro, Shinsekai Yori and Monster whose places are swappable, the rest I'm quite flexible with. Saint Seiya is in if it's a favorite list, and out among the bottom of the barrel when it comes to quality list, with the exception of The Lost Canvas.
Nielllo
Hmmm, atm it's 1. Kyousougiga (a) 2. Monster (m) 3. Dorohedoro (m) 4. Shinsekai Yori (n) 5. Baccano! (a) 6. Ran to Haiiro no Sekai (m) 7. Saint Seiya (my guilty pleasure, I can't defend it in anyway) 8. Franken Fran (m) 9. The Legend of the Sun Knight (n)(1st tier comedy) 10. Haibane Renmei/Toradora!.Honorable mentions to Gamaran, Beck, GTO, Mushishi, Kaiba and Grave of the Fireflies.
Damn....its a harder question to answer than it looks =<
Although Cruel God reigns in heaven would com close.
Nah, nothing would dethrone Gunslinger girl for me.
Or even Utena but I feel it somewhat overated as I do Bebop despite enjoying both.
One of those on the top ten could easily be switched for honey and clover.
I also love the works of Shimura Takkako, early takahashi and early Clamp.
Shiki would work its way onto a recent favourites list.
My favourite visual novels are Kara no shoujo, saya no uta and Sharin no kuni.
I've a soft spot for ah my goddess, basara, 7 seeds , nanoha and Red river.
If I was making more modern lists for recent favourites I'd probably add flipflappers somewhere or yuasas works.
Eh my top ten by mixing manga and anime into the same list? 1. Gunslinger (both) girl 2. Ghost in the shell (anime) 3. Earl cain saga (manga) 4. Angel Sanctuary (manga) 5. Texhnolyze (anime) 6. Lain (anime) 7. Perfect blue (anime) 8. Fruits basket (manga) 9. Monster 10. Kare kano.
Nielllo
I don't think anything will ever dethrone Kyousougiga for me though.
Nielllo
I still need to watch Tatami Galaxy and a bunch of other staple shows...
We could put out a site-author Top 10 list sometime maybe... Some of mine are Mushishi, Steins;Gate, Tatami Galaxy and Your Lie in April. Its got a spectrum of genre.
Nielllo
So what are people's top 10?
silver
Certainly on my top 10 list I have works adapted from VNs, manga, novels, LNs, and originals. I just think originals have a higher rate of efficient visual storytelling compared to adaptations
silver
@Kaiser: I like SEL and Haibane and texhnolyze is on my ever-growing list of things to watch. I also really like Gurren Lagen and Kill la Kill although they're both better if you've seen enough anime to know what they're parodying. My ex who loathed most anime because of the aforementioned over-exposition issue also introduced me to Dennou Coil which I really enjoyed.
@Mario: Body and soul just got released on a webdl , sell me on the film if you can =)
@Silver: Texhnolyze/Lain/Haibane are excellent examples.
silver
I think original anime offers a different experience than adaptations, particularly regarding 'show don't tell.' By necessity most anime source material is dialogue and exposition heavy and can't always utilize the medium efficiently. Of course, I've watched masterpieces adapted from every kind of source, so it's all good
Niello
I'd love to see this thing animated some day. Preferably with movie budget: http://thepropertyofhate.com/TPoH/Ex position/312
Niello
@Eoghan: Try searching in some Asian languages and you might have better luck.
silver
Most open-minded people I talk with don't have anything against animated entertainment. Shows like Bob's Burgers, Archer, and Bojack Horseman have carved a modern niche for 'adult' animation. Having a show about talking alcoholic horse would be pretty cheesy with live action.
Niello
Never mind, Mario said it. But I also don't agree that idol shows or incest shows are intrinsically bad. On top of idol being a trend in Japan first and anime pick it up because it's part of the culture.
The reason people see the worst side of things, is because that is what is made most on the surface and immediate,
Niello
@Amagi: Considering that all the ones you listed are originally manga, I think you should give manga more credit...
And by finding I mean, hard to buy or torrent .
The infuriating thing is how poorly distributed some things are. I hate seeing Godammn blurays of shit hollywood films everywhere and I have to struggle to find some old/quality eastern film.
I think it's the same problem as with endless shounen. Sometimes series get dragged on purpose to make more money.
The tons of seasons is what scares me away sometimes
I keep thinking, why pad a 90 minute-9 1/2 hour story in a billion one hour per episode seasons.
Yeah it's always like that, with cinema movies too.
I also hate ensemble/mosaic storytelling for the larger part, with some exceptions.
I know this excuse won't work with people who love serialized live-action tv dramas but...I don't like most tv shows because of how padded they are and that they go on far too long and the acting is tv standard and not film standard.
I dont want TV that much, but my experience has been there are very few shows worth watching. Just like anime.
Well, in the argument that anime has alot of bad trends to, I would say so does regular television. How many TVs per year are as good/acclaimed in the "best" anime of each season are in the community?
I think it's just sad that there are so many people (the big majority) that refuse to watch cartoons in general because they consider them as either childish or a worse version of "real" series. They'll always miss the good sides anime/manga have and therefore certain sub-genres as a whole.

Juuni Taisen – 08 [In Like a Dragon, Out Like a Snake (Part 2)]

Can’t say I am fond of a huge flashback where they advance almost nothing to the plot, let alone an extended flashback-within-a-flashback. It hurts as well as the production takes quite a disastrous turn this week, with many off-model and inconsistent animation. Haizz, I’d love to be proven wrong but so far Juuni Taisen has […]

Houseki no Kuni – 07 [Hibernation]

Ho boy, I know Houseki’s world-building is unique but the idea of gems’ hibernation in winter due to the lack of sunlight? What a creative idea it is. This winter landscape makes a nice contrast to the lively green field of grass we’ve encountered in previous episodes. The new world that feels both empty, vast […]

Dies Irae – 06[Golden Beast]

So here we have it, the best we are going to get from this series. We may get standout moments in the later parts of the story but I think this episode is as good as it gets. The adaption still isn’t what I would call good, and oddly enough the best parts of this […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 7 [Talk of the Devil, and He is Sure to Appear]

Hello and welcome to another week of Mahoutsukai. This a good week for us, as Chise becomes more independent, Elias hulks out and information comes to light about the Sorcerers dark plot. Lets jump in. To start off, let’s talk about Chise. Compared to the first episode, she is like a different person now. She […]

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World- – 07[Historic Country]

Let me start this post by saying that this is indeed a fun episode of Kino. Once again the mantle of protagonist is taken from the duo and instead it’s Kino’s Master who leads this episode. Though the story is told by Kino as she approaches the country that is in the story. It is […]

Girls’ Last Tour – 07 [Labyrinth – Cooking]

After one of the most plot-heavy episode last week, Girls’ Last Tour goes back to its minimalist root this time, with only the girls and two interior settings. This could be Girls’ Last Tour’s simplest episode, with the plot can be summed up as those girls go to the ration production facility, at first slightly […]

Inuyashiki – 6 [People of 2chan]

This week Inuyashiki fulfills last weeks predictions in a rather unexpected way. Strap in for some suicide, mass murder and the tail-spin of everyone’s favorite sociopath. Lets jump in! Rather than being a parallel between our two heroes like usual, this episode is focused almost entirely on Hiro. To me, this episode hits loosely on […]

Juuni Taisen – 07 [In Like a Dragon, Out Like a Snake (Part 1)]

For a character who officially dead before Juuni Taisen started (and thus, render him “useless” to win the tournament), Snake is surprisingly one of the most fearsome warrior of the race so far. He assisted Rabbit to kill Boar in the first episode, he cornered Rat to every holes Rat could hide, he KILLED Horse, […]

Dies Irae – 04/05[Spider/Reunion]

Forgive my tardiness in not covering Dies Irae last week. I had a few things going on and a serious lack of motivation. I am certain all two of you(Might be an overexpression of the number) that read these Dies Irae reviews were deeply disappointed. We have two episodes this week, one which was rather […]

The Reflection Review – 45/100