Posted by psgels on 11 March 2009 with categories: Casshern Sins

Short Synopsis: Casshern vs. Luna
Episode Rating: 8/10 (Excellent)
Before I start with the episode, I’m going to have to say some negative things about this series. It’s one of my favourites of the currently airing series, so I’m not happy with it either, but I do want to say a few things about it. If the series had the luck to air half a year earlier, I probably wouldn’t have noticed this, but the past weeks some of the other currently airing shows have reminded me of the difference between an excellent series and a truly outstanding series. Ever since it aired, this series has been on this list of favourites. That creates some expectations, and in the past weeks I realized that in the end the series didn’t live up to it.

In the second half of this series, the show has become much more consistent and predictable when compared to the first half. It merely founds its pace, and consistently went along with it. It never hit any lows, nor did it hit any heights, and that’s the problem I’m getting to. In the end, my favourite episode of this series remains episode seven. In comparison, some of the other shows airing this season have truly surpassed themselves in the past month. For me, Michiko e Hatchin, Shikabane Hime, Clannad After Story, Jigoku Shoujo, Birdy The Mighty Decode, Druaga no Tou and Ride Back have been consistently getting better and better for their own standards, while Casshern’s level of quality has pretty much stayed the same, with the result that quite a few series have already caught up with it. At the end of February, I was fairly certain that my Top 3 of series that started airing in the past Fall Season would contain Casshern Sins, but at this point I’m not so sure anymore. For any regular series, it’s a real achievement to be able to produce an episode that is as good as your average Casshern episode, but this series already showed that it was excellent in its first quarter. For me, it did sort-of fail in meeting the stellar expectations it set in its beginning. I remember Himitsu faced the same problem, but at least that series turned significantly better in its final quarter, and it’s a shame that Casshern couldn’t follow.

But yeah, that doesn’t mean that this series isn’t getting any worse. This episode was yet again really good for a semi-final episode. What I especially liked was how Luna doesn’t have any combat abilities at all. That really prevents the ending from turning into a boring overblown fight between the main character and villain until one of them goes down. I also liked how many story threads were solved in this episode: Luna and Casshern both quit trying to make the other understand and went their own ways, Dio finally considered Leda, which is something which Leda really appreciated and saved her from her own darkness.

The next episode is going to be a very interesting one, as it seems to be more centred around Braiking Boss and Luna than Casshern. The potential for an original ending is very good, so let’s hope that it’s not going to screw up. I remember how someone noted that there could be a second season, but I wouldn’t count on it: this is Madhouse, after all. They only very rarely make sequels (the perfect way to prevent you from milking out your own franchises). However, there is no way that that ending is going to wrap every single open thread in the storyline:
– What the heck was the point of the coloured rock anyway?
– What was the point of making Dio, Leda AND Casshern robots who could potentially reproduce? It feels a bit and unimportant to just include it for a small piece of Leda’s background. Apart from that it’s never really been used.

what I want at least in the next episode is the background of Braiking Boss. It would be a darn shame if he’d just impale Luna to make her blood flow across the rivers of the earth again and disappear. In this episode it became clear that he isn’t a bad guy after all, but he had just been searching for Luna as well, and making the right preparations to save the world. The question is however: what caused this change of heart? Wasn’t he the one who ordered to kill Luna? Of course he may have realized the mistakes of his actions, but I’d really like to see that confirmed.

1. CASSHERNxLYUZE says:

In this episode it became clear that he isn’t a bad guy after all,

That’s what I’ve been trying to say about Braiking Boss all along.

He used to be a tyrant-of-sorts, and as with all “power-hungry” individuals, the more they have have monopoly over dominance (or, the more dominance they have, for that matter), the better. Seeing that there was a growing number of “people” aligning with Luna, he ordered her assassination because she’s become a threat to his dominance. I think it was as simple as that.

But the effects of an assassination having been successfully carried out is as everyone can see. Braiking Boss wanted control of the world; not to destroy it. And now, I think, he’s doing the best thing(s) a person in his position/situation could do. After all, he was partly, if not fully, responsible for the Ruin.

2. Marc says:

Can’t find your email adress or something, I wanted to write you a mail, but couldn’t find it, so I’ll just put a random comment here.

Have you actually ever seen NANA ?
    I really recommend it, and I couldn’t find a review on this blog yet, so , please , watch it. I really would like to see your comments on this series ;) .

( Yeah, I know nothing of this has to do with Casshern Sins xd. )

3. butterbrezel says:

Um … am I seeing things or is Leda Ringo’s mum? The fact that they met with no one else being around and that look Leda gave her made me think that Ringo must be her daughter. Come to think of it, their hair and eye colors are similar.

4. da_man says:

haven’t seen this episode but yeah, the show failed to meet my expectations too :(
    so, how would you put it compared to Xam’d? now I’m quite positive that I’ll rate this show a bit lower than Xam’d, who also didn’t deliver at the end, but every episode except for the last one was better than the one before it.

5. psgels psgels says:

Marc: I haven’t seen Nana yet, though it is on my to-watch list.

As for my e-mail address: psgels at yahoo dot com

Da_man: I’d rate this series a bit above Xam’d at the moment. While both failed to meet these expectations, Casshern’s finale has been far less rushed and incomplete than Xam’d’s

6. TJ says:

It’ll be interesting to see how the series ends since it’s still pretty much up in the air at the moment. I’m wondering how Ringo will play into all this since she has been hinted to be “special” throughout the series.

7. Chino F. says:

Wow… Luna was destructive then. Her blood was formerly poisonous. So when she was drained of blood, her nature changed. No wonder she said that she was changed by Casshern. But she doesn’t seem to like it.

We’ll see the purpose of the colored rock soon enough. Maybe it should be dipped in the water to counteract Luna’s former blood. Hmm, it’s sort of like the Wormwood object in the Bible.

8. nbefort says:

I think that maybe Braking boss and Luna were combined earlier and then Braking boss then built casshern to screw over and destory Luna…. maybe… maybe not…. dunno.

And who knows what Ringo’s deal is…. I thought this episode could have been the last one…. thank god isn’t not.

Cool series though… and your argument about the pacing of Casshern…. I thought it did a pretty good job.. but your right… there is a pretty anti-climatic ending. It stayed at a steady pace and you were never captivated by the whole story… I feel even though Casshern wasn’t completely non-serial (SP?) It had a completely steady pace unlike most anime (IE: bonen no xamdou) which usually have an obvious story arc with an actual climax. Casshern is missing a climax to counter Soul Eater’s current climax which is fanservice up the wazoo…. Casshern misses that excitement.. even though every week it’s very good…. the episodes stand alone.

9. TCoFA says:

I actually really liked this episode. Leda and Dio actually got rather good. But my preference to the first ones remains unchanged.

I do wonder how many episodes this thing still has to go though.

10. psgels psgels says:

TCoFA: this is the semi-final episode, the next one will be the last.

11. CASSHERNxLYUZE says:

Thinking about it, it seems like the point of it all is some kind of existential…paradox? “One can only truly live if one can die.”

Well, this episode answers the question why Luna and Braiking Boss are together in the new ending. Also, I think Leda’s head was best drawn in this episode; the irony of it being with a partially-disfigured body.

I think I’ve got a pretty good guess on what the next episode is going to be like. For one thing, it’s probably going to aim to be “climatic”. The dialogue between Braiking Boss and Luna is a dead giveaway. I just hope it’s going to be a happy ending for Casshern and Lyuze after all has been said and done.

12. CASSHERNxLYUZE says:

Sorry for the double post, but this came to my attention just now while checking for new comments, and I thought I’d try to answer it:

I think it’s some kind of reference to the original Casshern, being partly organic and all. In this series, Casshern has been 100% machine his entire life. I think, it’s to somehow bring this incarnation of Casshern closer to the original without incorporating the cyborg concept.

Also, it gave Casshern something to be depressed about in Ep. 13; that eventhough he wasn’t created to be a “killing machine” (and in sharp contrast, a machine that can “procreate”), that was the only thing he could be.

13. Sacchi says:

“- What was the point of making Dio, Leda AND Casshern robots who could potentially reproduce? It feels a bit and unimportant to just include it for a small piece of Leda’s background. Apart from that it’s never really been used.”

While it’s true that it was never really used, the point was to make robots truly superior to humans, or at least that is how I see it. Humans would be born and die, but they had the ability to reproduce. Robots had eternal life, but they never reproduced, therefore they never created true life. And life is all the point in this show…

14. Sacchi says:

Forgot to mention. Braiking Boss wanted to rule an empire of robots. People were joining Luna’s side as we all know, and therefore he sent Casshern to kill her.

But I think that we’re not thinking about the beginning of this episode. The robot saying “I’ll follow you Braiking Boss-sama, as you’ll heal me and prevent my death from the ruin”. I don’t see him as a villain, but he is no hero either. He wants an empire. Right now, the robots want to escape from the ruin. That’s why they followed Dio and Leda. That’s why the robots are now following him. Though he has learned something from his mistakes, since he says “I won’t make anybody else a grave” (or sth like that). What he did learn, I have no idea though.

15. Hurr says:

Dio was so gar.

On other things, maybe Braiking Boss has learned a few things, but it seems one of them is to build a new forever-living empire… for robots? What about humans?

16. CASSHERNxLYUZE says:

Seeing how loosely the word “gay” (and other homosexual slurs, and references to homosexuality) is being thrown around, I don’t really know what it’s supposed to mean anymore.

To be honest, I’m just sick of this whole “gay craze” thing. Unfortunately, I doubt it’s gonna go away, as it never seems to lose its’ convenience and “fun factor” for a lot of people.

What was it that Dio did again?

17. Kurisu says:

CASSHERNxLYUZE: What are you talking about? Nobody here said “gay”. Hurr wrote “gaR”. While it was initially a misspelled “gay” (which initially itself just meant “happy”), the meme GAR now means rather something like “admirable manly”.

While were at it: Although I usually dislike gay characters in anime because they tend to be overly trashy and stereotypical, Japanese are actually not hostile towards homosexuals in general unlike US-Americans and gay jokes usually aren’t insulting. So, it’s really just “fun” whereas in US culture it’s more often than not driven by homophobia even if people refuse to admit it. This difference in the view of homosexuality is probably caused by the so-called “Christian” religion which in reality is closer to Satan than Jesus. You see, even in old Europe like the Rome Empire and ancient Greece, long before the Christian religion existed, homo- and bisexual relations were quite normal and accepted. It was the Christian church, abusing biblical texts to establish the idea that homosexuality was against their god’s will. Of course similar can be said about Muslims but that’s just another branch of Mesopotamian monotheism. I don’t know what Jews think about homosexuality but I’d blame speading homophobia mostly on the old testament and these power hungry, anti-social world religions.

18. CASSHERNxLYUZE says:

I stand corrected then. I didn’t know that. I thought it was some kind of euphemism for “gay”. Thanks for clearing it up.

However, the way it was said is still rather condescending, and phrased in a kind of “gay language”.

And in response to the latter part of your post; I guess it is somewhat appropriate that you’d say “anti-social” – as opposed to “socialism”. I hope that the next time you talk about homosexuality, homophobia, and religion; you won’t omit the faults of homosexuals just to get some kind of leverage against religion. Homosexuals are NOT faultless people. Homosexuality, to begin with, IS a perversity. They (self-identified gays and homosexuals) know it’s wrong; that’s why they sugarcoat it with pride.

But despite of all that pride and attitude they flaunt about, they’re not really very secure about themselves, are they? That’s why they like to slap their “gay” label onto everyone and everything they could get their hands on, and they seem to have a problem with anything that excludes them or disagrees with them.

19. Arabesque says:

I’m pretty sure that Leda is Ringo’s mom. Seeing it from that angle would piece together so many little things that might not have made sense before. Certainly, Leda’s reaction to Ringo’s appearance was a big hint.

The series is heavy on subtext and the implied rather than the directly stated. Watch episode 17 over again with Ringo as Leda’s daughter in mind. May make some puzzle pieces fit together.

20. Snowolf says:

Hey! I’m back again to tell you that you were right: I just finished watching the latest and last episode of Casshern Sins and am here to tell you that it DOES NOT dissapoint and I consider it the strongest episode of the second half of the show. Not many holes were cleared up but it did leave a strong if not sorrowful glossy impact bound to impress. I’m just was that it’s over and the way it left off it could perhaps get ovas or a spinoff lol. But I can’t wait to hear your response on it. This show has had it’s ups and downs (and I totally agree with he fact that the Nico episode was the best one out there no doubt it made me cry and I don’t cry often especially during anime shows) but I’m glad I stuck through the end after a slow start. It’s been a great ride and this certainly is a more mature/philosophical anime that’s totally different from anything I’ve ever seen. Sayonara Casshern! It was fun watching ;P

21. Solaris says:

>And finally we learn the cause of the ruin: when Casshern impaled her, her blood flowed throughout all the oceans of the earth. This transformed Luna from a goddess of destruction into a goddess of life. And indeed it sort-of makes sense that her new blood can be used to heal the effects of her old blood. Casshern then became the first one to experience the effects of her new blood, but as a side-effect he lost his memory.

We already knew it was that accident that destroyed the world, but the given explanation is rather cheap and it didn’t really solve the issues. If Luna’s blood was lethal, why was Casshern blessed with eternal life when everything else perished? How did Luna survive and how her blood turned out “good”? It’s just pointless.

>I think it’s some kind of reference to the original Casshern
    Now it’s you stating unexistent connections with the past serie. ^^;

And that extends to action scenes, don't just slap old songs over your trailer thoughtlessly/carelessly or dump a generic pop song over your mecha battle or generic rock song over a fight scene.
Scenes would be better served by subtely or sinister sound design or less/no music in most cases.
@Niello: Same here. It annoyed me to no end. I was curious so I watched the live stream. It was much better/less bad with subs, most of the first episode was nothing but shousa shousa and casually a "violetto chan..".
@Amagi, I would disagree on music. The soundtrack is far too bombastic and overbearing for the nature of the series.
Niello
Watching the first episode raw was a mistake imo. I actually cringed when I heard chuusa for the 10th time in the hospital room scene. At least the subtitle would serve as a distraction.
It's kinda sad because the execution of scenes, music and animation are awesome and I think that its depiction of characters and their behaviour is pretty good too, the problem is that the MC is a bad/illogical character to begin with and that they want to attract a larger fanbase through certain pandering. Still enjoy it overall, though.
We share the exact same thoughts about Violet's issues then. I think the story isn't that great and the characterisation so far is weak. But count on me to blog it to see if it can improve itself
Yeah, the idea of some unworldy girl learning about emotions through ghost writing is great and I love the setting. But the war part makes no sense in that context, and I wish they'd tone down that "I'm mayor's dog" stuff. It's pretty common for these type of people being clingy to one specific person, but they should totally leave out the waifu pandering. Ep 2 was better in that regard though.
Niello
How come Violet went through war and back and still doesn't even recognise, in the slightest, the grim emotions humans sometimes feel such as pain, worry, distrust, anger, hate etc. Then the premise set up that she's going to learn love and all the other emotions, good and bad, though ghost writing and empathise with people. I call bull.
Niello
@Mario: The writing is disappointing and underwhelming, especially the characterisation. I would rant, but I'd rather not. It's just, if this show doesn't have the amazing visual or Kyoani name attached you can just imagine that its fate would be rather bleak.
@Mario: hhhmmm, I have good news, the French dvd of that film let the corpses tan is coming out in March, well before the vod release, so it'll probably get fansubbed or something before we have to wait for an official English web-dl/cast.
Was never much of an on stage/presentation man really, I was always rubbish at it, to quiet an introverted person really to get up in front of a crowd and give a lecture/speech.
@Travlos: And this would be the part where I say it would be great if I even had half your presentation ability or sounded that clever.
Your voice is as imagined it, though I'd pictured you younger looking in my head.
fianlly done with the academic meeting I was organizing. Should get back to some anime watching. Also if you want to see my presentation go here

@Niello: Aside from your #1 (which ưe'll agree to disagree here), it's a nice set of shows you're follwing this season. Did you watch Violet Evergarden first episode thou and how did you think about it?
Great. Now I can't even send message here through my laptop.
@Kaiser: i think it's the same issue with kisscartoon. The original site was shut down sometimes ago, and now there are plenty of Kisscartoon's fake domains that are annoying as hell
@Mario: its back up now though.
@Mario: Its front page has server issues from time to time sometimes for hours.
I just read some manga on kissmanga a week ago, is the site down already?
Niello
Well to be fair batoto is down because of the site owner personal reason.
So Mangahere, mangachapter, baoto, animea seem to be gone and kissmangas front page is down , mangafox is slow, whats next to go down....
Niello
I don't currently see an anime this season that really stands out from the others. Right now if I have to rank them
1) Miira no kaikata
2) Kokkoku
3) Sora yori mo tooi basho
4) Koi wa ameagari no you ni
5) Takagi-san.
Not counting Devilman Crybaby since it's already finished.
Niello
@Eoghan I love Urobuchi and still find the Godzilla film weak.
I just looked through the nominations for the Crunchyroll Anime Awards and to my surprise, it's a pretty solid lineups. Find myself agreeing with most of their choices there
Actually forgot about it.
I don't know why you don't just read kara no shoujo 2 instead.
And Himawari is actually boring me. It's proving difficult to push myself though just to see where the point that makes it highly regarded comes in.
@Aidan: In the end I was pretty much curious about it.
Yep, that's it. Gonna stop discord displaying what I play from now on. It's weird when people comment on it.
Now my current rankings: 1. Devilman
2.Junji itou
3. sangatsu
4. Cardcaptor sakura
5. Pop team
6. Evergarden.
*Aidan
I'm joking obviously, but I am surprised to see you playing Himawari Aiden.
Oh Aidan you and your lolicon visual novel you =P
@Alonaria: Shin Godzilla had the evolving godzilla thing and that freaky ass final shot too, it also justified itself quite well i think by showing how relevent he is today, given the nuclear thing and that it drew on the Fukushima incident essentially.
@Alonaria: Thats a far better and shorter way of putting it than I.
Alonaria
I wish I'd just waited for the other parts of the Godzilla movie trilogy to be released. As it is, I'm just going to remember it as "that incomplete movie." And the character designs kind of blurred together for me, which was really disorienting.
Oh psgels is back
But I've seen other Godzilla things so I pretty much was supposed to see this anyway.
Or you know you could always take what I said with a pinch of salt, because you know....I don't get on with Urobutcher.
The idea behind it is definately cool and a different spin for the franchise though.
Maybe I was held back a bit by the cgi or the mediorce voice acting.
But I'd need to see its followup before properly assessing it.
Godzilla often makes for silly films, but lke alot of silly older films the silliness and seriousness combine without clashing, this one is too Poe faced .
I saw that Godzilla anime film, I'd describe it as watchable in parts but far too caught up in setup mode and an unlikeable protaganist , it could go somewhere with what it raised at the start but this is an example of a first film in a trilogy that suffers from being unable to currently stand on its own.
I generally feel that Itou's stories have a winning track record but theres exceptions, Uzumaki and Gyo in manga form struggle toward the end and the first episode story the anime chose to adapt is, while fun one of the weaker offerings.
Alonaria
Honestly, the shorter stories have been more effective at getting a reaction out of me, though. I actually didn't really enjoy the first episode's first story, mostly because I found the MC too obnoxious. :.D Maybe because my younger brother chased me with a bug once and it was really unpleasant. XD
@Anon: It wasn't just it coming out of her mouth, but when they were stamping on them too.
@Kaiser: Yah, I was horrified for like 5 seconds but the other characters made me crack up. :.D
Although it was mixed in with laughing my ass of eventually.
Of all the Itou stories to be un-nerved by, its the second half of this third episode oddly that does it for me and I never get uncomfortable during anything .
@Anon, We are working on it.
Are you planning on making a top anime of 2017 list?
Yeah Mash is one of the few good ones it seems.
Oh damn, good that you remind me, I didn't pick anything yet. But I guess I will go with Altera, considering that some of them don't look that good and I own her anyway. Would have wanted the Scat one but the drawing looks weird.
Which Bond CE did you pick for the 2 mill? I went with the Mash one. Only only whose artwork I liked.
Might settle for making Bryn my endgame lancer though.
As I said in my Apocrypha post, I have no interest in any version of Jeanne. My top priorities for my endgame team is Isekander, Scathach and assassin Shiki. And Shiki is a welfare so only need to worry about the other two.
Yeah, I was considering to keep rolling for the new 4* at first but I really want Jeanne Alter and she's coming soon.
@Amagi, I tried rolling for Karna and got nothing. Though I think Bryn is better. I plan on rolling one more time with the saint quartz we are getting to try for NP2. Though we do have the valintines event coming.
@Aidan: Same here, just got Brynhildr. Even though I already got Karna last month. But I wanted her, nice design, finally a single-targed 5* and she's even one of the few servants related to my country.
@SuperMario. The contemplation of the death of humanity, and the loneliness, both were very disturbing to me. Kinda like thinking of my grave.
YANDERE GET. Bryn's mine baby.
Gonna try rolling for Brynhildr tomorrow. Bit annoyed they chose to translate it as Brynhild. I mean it's not incorrect but her name is far more recognisable as Brynhildr
@Amagi, The grind wasn't that bad for me. Mordred carried me for it. Though I managed to get Siegfried in the gacha despite not being on rate up. I admit that the event was rather lackluster. Story wasn't that fun and the whole saber restriction was a pain. Also gonna take me a while to readjust to regular damage.
Man that FGO Saber Wars event was annoying. I am happy finally I have 2 mio. altrium now and am done with it.
Reminder that netflix Godzilla anime is later today.
Damn I didn't noticed that ankle band of the little demon from the intro scene of FranXX 01, now I feel stupid.
Yuasa is great! Ping pong and Tatami Galaxy are still some of my favorites
Oh fuck, the lead singer of the Cranberries passed away. I literally just listened to their music yesterday. Damnn, sad news
@Kaiser; thanks for considering me but I believe Wooper is much more a Yuasa's fan than I am
Far out!!!
SuperWooper
Yuasa will be answering questions on Reddit's anime board on the 20th.
@Niello: what do you mean regarding Yuasa?
@Travlos: I agree that Girls Last Tour is a special little gem, but in what ways it's disturbing?
Niello
Holy cow, Masaaki Yuasa AMA!! What magic is this?
Niello
Meawhile, Japan took a different approach and we ends up with a bunch of .hack rehash and diving more and more into escapism. Until we eventually got isekai and then it just spiraled into a sea of mediocrity.
Niello
While that opened its own can of worms, at least it opens up element about making ends meet, managing irl relationships, earning extra income for a poor family, getting cheated etc.
Niello
in the characters real life just fine. Something more a long the line of Net-juu but more technologically advanced. And I would say that plenty of those have been superior to Japanese online game and isekai story shenanigans. That said, it doesn't mean that those don't have their own kind of traps they usually fall in. A bunch of those instead focus on the aspect of making money off of games.
Niello
...Getting stuck in a virtual reality game and being transport to another world that happens to be like a game are completely different though. I don't know what is it with Japan and getting stuck in game plots considering that there are loads of other game-base Asian novels that came before it that manage story lines where they manage to tell compelling stories in game while balancing what happen
I finally finished Girls Last Tour. What a profound, fluffy and disturbing masterpiece. Bravo.
Yeah. I feel the world swap is pretty much pointless when real life isn't relevant anymore. It's just a stupid as hell excuse to combine fantasy wish fullfilment with self-inserts, which is why these main characters tend to be 29 by now, just like the big part of the otaku community.
Of those you listed, no, I dont think they get explained? I mean, SAO did, but I dont think that falls into your category.

Thats why I liked .hack//sign over alot of more modern game Isekai. Also .hack//sign did explain what happened to Tsukasa.
Considering how bad most of these are I wouldn't wonder if they wouldn't even bother with an explanation and just end it with the characters being happy in that game world and that's it. Or magic and the whole harem gets transported into reality at the end because power of love and such.
I have no problem with a sci-fi fantasy mix, I liked .hack//sign for example, but it annoys me that such an incredibly bizarre situation gets never explained. Or maybe it will but it never happened so far because none of these LNs was ever finished and concluded yet. I just wish to know how they explain that.
I mean all those shows in which the character just finds himself stuck in a real world that's (coincidentally?) the same as the game he recently played. Be it Overlord, Death March, Log Horizon or the 300 other series with that premise.
Some thing that always bothered me about game isekai for which I never got an answer so far: did any of those series ever end and/or explain how the warp has happened and why the MC is in the game? - Not talking about .hack, SAO and such where the action of getting trapped is part of the premise
Niel
@Eoghan - Btw, Kokkoku isn't a time travel. it's stasis, apparently. Looks very promising so far. Though if I am to trust the manga score, it's shit.
Niel
But is Toradora really slice of life? As far as I can see it's straight up romance.
And Mario, ill rag on SOL all I want! :P

Wooper, its true good shows transcend genre, as there are still some like Toradora I like, but those are exceptions that prove the rule so to speak.
@Niel, yeah I base my potential % on the odds something gets/stays good.
I am of similar mindset about Franxx. I want it to get better but I don't really see it doing so. Unless the other characters get a majority personality boost or the MC stops being a plank.
Niel
XD
I confess....I only sat through just over half an episode of aldonoah.
Niel
Since it's Trigger, I will give the benefit of the doubt. I'm just very skeptical about this whole formula.
Niel
The way I can see this series improving is through world building. And if other aspects are going to improve too, it's going to revolve around that.
Niel
It leaves about as much impression on me as much as the first episode of Aldnoah did, and I dropped that one straight away. The character chemistry doesn't look like it will go places that's not cliche. The gimmick doesn't seem like it has much potential either.
Niel
So you're all betting it on "this is going to get better". I mean, I hope it gets better. Though right now this feels more Kiznaiver than Kill la Kill or LWA.
I'd nominate Mario to do the devilman review as he's the most immediate Yuasa fan to do it and Bam is too awol to write it.
The cute girl shows just bleed and blend in my mind now, same with the isekai shows.
Devilman, my show of the season, unless after the rain ends up having some emotional wallop.
So for me its looking like: Junji itou, Cardcaptor sakura, keeping up with sangatsu, wait and see on amegari . Not watching a time travel or trigger show and I remain unable to sit through Mahoutsukai .
The story itself is generic so far but so are most Trigger series at the beginning so not sure. Maybe it will stay weak, but in general I prefer series that start with the weaker episodes and get better and better over time over the many series that use up all of their budget and trump cards in the first episode and drag on after that.
I really love Trigger's esthetics and their characters. I am happy they're more often involved in non-trigger-only productions because I honestly think that most of the stuff I enjoyed about FranXX was heavily influenced by them.
@Nielo: Franxx's first ep was stellar for me. Storywise, it's lackluster (and I see the similar in tropes between this and Beatless) but production-wise it's excellent
I think I just keep watching it on a weekly basis. Still trippy as hell
Okay, I just watched second episode of Devilman Crybaby and it's still pretty good.
Nielo
By the way, what's up with Darling in the Franxx? I thought it's a very weak first episode.
Nielo
@Lenlo: Slice of life isn't my thing either, and I usually avoid series set in high school.
Nielo
@SuperMario: Takagi-san is cute, I'll admit that, but since I already read the manga it's not new to me. Sora Yori is good, but it's not particularly cute. I found Hakumei to Mikochi and Yuru Camp very boring. Haven't got the chance to watch Mitsuboshi Colors or Gakuen Babysisters but I don't think they could be more cute than Mii-kun.
SuperWooper
HOT TAKE: Genre is irrelevant. What matters is whether a show is good.
Don't knock off MY genre Lenlo. It's one of the reason I got into anime in the first place :)
Im not saying it doesn't do what it sets out to. I just don't think what it sets out to do is all that... great.
@Niello, Slice of Life was never my Genre in the first place :/ I typically avoid them. I have my own life to deal with and already graduated high school, why would I want to deal with a melodramatic anime highschool, is my line of thought.
@Niello: okay, let's see:Takagi-san (the titular character), Mitsuboshi Colors, Gakuen Babysisters (Toddlers!!), Hakumei to Milochi (tiny girls) and two more slightly more mature but equally cute: Sora Yori and Yuru Camp's casts
Nielllo
@SuperMario: I'm sure this is where our definition of "cute" parts way, but I'll ask anyway, what are those 5 shows?
@Niello: seems so because I can eaisily pick 5 more shows that are cuter, and better than Mummy this season ;)
Nielllo
...So I suppose I'm the only one who's kinda bored out by a lot of the slice of life shows that's trying to be cute this season and only perked up by the Mummy anime because it's actually do what it's meant to do and be legit cute.
I am interested in Koi, but still have concern about the relationship itself.

@Vonter, the mummy anime would be better as short vignettes together I feel.
Koi amegari is surprisingly tasteful, subdued and pretty.
*to where
Try as I might, my love of kyoani tv anime has largely evaporated did where I no longer want to bother at this stage, I'll just wait and see. I'll just stay quiet on the franxx anime, theres little value in me trying to get through a trigger work at this point.
I get the exact same feeling with Takagi-san. It's pretty good on what it does but 20 minutes of the same thing for a whole season doesn't sound that promising
The chibi mummy anime
It's a shame it isn't a shorter 10 or 5 minute series, I think that format would make it shine more, since it does what it's trying to do.
Speaking of it, I liked the second episode of Kokkuko or whatever the name is even more than the first one.
I really have a problem with all these shows that rely on one single thing, joke, shenanigan or whatever. Be it something cute, some certain kind of interactiong or whatever. It doesn't matter how good it is it will bore me with episode 2.
Like, yeah, the mummy was cute. But the cute became rote/bland really quick. There has to be more than "cute" to be worth watching for more than a single episode to me.
@Niello, I was harsh because its not aimed at me. I wanted to drop it 5 minutes in, kept up for the post, then was thankful it was over. There wasnt anything overtly bad about it. Its just there was nothing good either.
To be fair it's not as if we are lacking cute in this season.
In fact it's in danger of inflation.
@Niello: yes, the mummy is cute, the show is cute but beside that it's pretty mediocre. That show in particular is the only show that I have the damnest time to give it a potential rating.
Niello
It's not even down because of legal reasons, since the site pull down contents that are lincensed. It's down cause it's too much for the site owner to manage. Much of it also have to do with too many bots, which comes back to how a lot of other sites are relying on batoto.
Niello
@Masky: Not enough manga titles are getting translated. Batoto is the site scanlation groups basically rely on, and where other aggregation sites pull their content from. No batoto no obscure titles, a big blow to small scantation groups and one big manga/scanlator community down.
Niello
Why are you guys so harsh on the mummy show? It's so darn cute. Give it some credit. If a comedy show can be good because it does comedy well I don't see why a show ike Mummy can't be good if it can make people go "aww".
I don't really know why that is the case, maybe marketing budget and UI friendliness when done right? :P
Eh, wouldn't say it will kill manga industry. I mean, more and more official methods of reading manga online is starting to pop up and legit channels to pay to get access to manga can surprisingly enough harm free channels to get manga.
Anyway, I do find it funny how how the isekai character dies can be so meaningless that is joke in most of them
Niello
Batoto is going down, how this affect the manga reading is going to be interesting. Hope it's not slowly dying.
(at least that one, besides forgetting to introduce what the heck is gimmick besides generickness, acknowledged how most of otaku mcs shouldn't erally want to get transferred to fantasy world since they never get to see how their favourite mangas end :P )
Anyhoo, it gets annoying since its not just isekai being cliche, sometimes is just them being kind of badly written(or at least adapted to manga). Like, I found one new isekai today, but I have no idea what its gimmick is(from what I understood, its that "cute companion" that character gets is hideously op because mc didn't spefy cute girl when he asked god manager dude for cute companion)
Slime one is one of better from the more generic ones weirdly enough :P I mean I still wouldn't call it good, but at least MC character isn't god tier, just top tier and it has sort of village building simulation feel to it. Plus at least naming things giving monsters more powers is something funny regarding jrpg mechanics
Or alternatively the car was on a boat with the character or parents in it and the boat and car were hit by a falling plane lol
Its always "car accident" that sends the characters to another world or in harem cases "Lost parents due to car crash", for christs sake doesn't anyone die in out of control plane or speedboat crashes anymore, at least make it a motorbike....
Nayrael
Ah sorry, should probably not have touched the colors...
Nayrael
Trust me, Isekai is better when it doesn't try to be imaginative. When it tries to be original then... Isekai with a Smartphone... Isekai where the MC turns into a Slime... and my favorite: Isekai where the MC became a Hot Spring popular with sexy girls.
Assuming "new" things can happen under the sun
Anyhoo, I do wonder what the heck will be next "popular genre trope that will become so overused cliche that everyone groans whenever show uses it even if its actually good show"

Darling in the Franxx – 02[What it means to connect]

As it stands now, this is essentially an animated version of a double entendre. Each line is laced with a double meaning so heavy that you can postface lines with the words “That’s what she said.” and it would fit perfectly. I find my stance on this to be rather mixed as while the fanservice […]

Junji Ito Collection – 03[The Crossroads Pretty boy – The lovesick dead, Slug Girl]

Our two stories today regard the handsome man at the crossroads and slug girl. The handsome man story was given the most screen time and it is a decent story, albeit unfinished. What was presented here was only the first part of the story and I believe it will be continued in later episodes. But […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 15 [There is no place like home]

Welcome to another week of Mahoutsukai no Yome. This week continues Chise’s bad relationship with water, Elias’s with Fae and gives Silky a history. Lets jump in! To start off, I want to talk about the best part of this episode, that being Silky’s history and alone time. For the longest time Silky was a […]

After the Rain – 02 [Rain Drops on Green Leaves]

It has been exactly a year since I last blogged you, noitaminA shows, and this time again it’s another romance drama. Unlike Scum’s Wish last year, however, Ameagari has one simple premise, but it executes the idea with such grace. This second episode is even stronger than the first, setting the stepping stone for Tachibana […]

Violet Evergarden – 02 [Never Coming Back]

I’m thankful that this second episode plays out much quieter and more subtle than the first, because I’m not a fan at all with the grandeur approach of the first episode. This makes the second week of Violet slightly better than last week, but I still find myself not totally satisfied with the whole experience. […]

Kokkoku – 2 [The Second Moment]

Hello and welcome to the 2018 Winter season! This time, we have an interesting little time-based drama called Kokkoku. It has mystery, it has cults, it has dead-beat parents and apparent god-like beings. Lets jump in! To start, a quick blurb about our characters. Personally, I like them so far. They are all flawed and imperfect […]

A Place Further than the Universe – 03 [The Follow Backs Don’t Stop]

“I could just die right now” That line, spoken by our new member, Yuzuki, bookends this week’s Universe. It marks the shift in the new girl’s character growth. Last week, the Expedition girls mentioned they have a plan to raise fund, right? Turns out it’s not the mother, but the young girl herself, is used […]

Junji Ito Collection – 02[Fashion Model, Long Dreams]

After the first episode started off as a black comedy, I was worried that this series may suffer the same problem as Kino’s Journey in that the weaker stories in his work would be chosen for adaption. Lucky this does not appear to be the case but there is another problem which is not quite […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 13/14 [East, West, Homes Best]/[Looks breed love]

Hello and welcome to the new year! New Year, a new Cour for Mahoutsukai no Yome, this time with slightly more plot. These past two weeks have been a bumpy ride of Mahoutsukai, with plenty to talk about. So let’s jump in! To start off, the new OP is terrible. The music isn’t as good […]

In This Corner of the World (2016) Movie Review – 90/100

In this Corner of the World (for the purpose of this review, I’ll refer it as “Corner”), is the truest slice of life drama if you ever encounter one, in that it’s a slice into an ordinary life of an ordinary girl during the War period. That speaks into the very first strength of Corner, […]

Houseki no Kuni (Fall 2017) Review – 92/100

Make no mistake, Houseki no Kuni is the most ambitious anime project of the year. Not only because it’s an entirely CG project (and make a damn good use of it, mind you), or because of its narrative scope that at once strange, grand and beauty, but also in its very conception in their production […]

Fate/Apocrypha Anime Review – 64/100

I was quite excited for Apocrypha and in the so called year of Fate adaptations, it looked to be the crown jewel. Sadly, partly due to lacking adaption and the source lacking in areas, this anime turned out to be not quite the jewel I thought it would be. It’s hard to call this a […]

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World Anime Review – 73/100

One of the surprises of the year was to see the return of Kino’s Journey, a very well regarded and more unique anime among those deemed classic. Many, myself included, were very much looking forward to the return of Kino and her talking Motorrad. Though due to some factors this series doesn’t quite live up […]

Girls’ Last Tour (Fall 2017) Review – 86/100

Girls’ Last Tour falls within my favorite new trend that emerging the anime medium over the last decade: a dark moe anime. Set in a post-apocalyptic world where the human race has almost extinct, our two girls wandering around the world in their kettenkrad looking for food and shelter. If it sounds a bit bleak […]

Two tales of War: Reviewing The Heroic Legend of Arslan and Altair: A Record of Battles

It would not be an exaggeration to say that my favorite type of anime is the political-military epic. This comes partly out of my profession, I study war and politics, but also my hobby, as military and political history is something I enjoy. When it comes to anime there is a clear sub-category that can […]

The Night is Short, Walk On Girl (2017) Movie Review – 92.5/100

“How many decades have passed since our drinking contest?” “It hasn’t been that long. It was only a few hours ago, this very night!” That gap in time perceiving plays a significant role in Night is Short. For you see, it all depends on how our perception of the surroundings and time itself can affect […]

Ballroom e Youkoso Review – 65/100

In the weeks leading up to the summer 2017 season, Ballroom e Youkoso was one of the most buzzed-about new series. Produced by the Production I.G. team responsible for the smash hit Haikyuu!!, and set to air on Amazon’s brand new Anime Strike service, the series had no shortage of promotion or hype behind it. […]

Inuyashiki Review – 80/100

Do you know what the average age of an anime protagonist is? Neither do I, but I’d wager its in the upper teens. For obvious reasons, most anime focus on high school and have high school aged protagonists with similarly aged problems. Its not often that we get a good older main character, who has […]