Posted by psgels on 19 March 2009 with categories: Michiko e Hatchin

Short Synopsis: It’s time for Hiroshi to make his appearance.
Episode Rating: 8/10 (Excellent)
And so it has ended. The ending was good, and in a way it was the only ending that would have made sense. I really like how the creators didn’t try to stuff too much into this episode, but also saved enough for this episode to happen. the whole gang wars and Satoshi storyline all ended in the previous episode, and this episode was just about Hatchin, Hiroshi, Michiko and the police. The creators could have kept Satoshi alive in order to create some chaotic ending, or like Samurai Champloo, they could have saved him for the big fight, like with Samurai Champloo, but this ending was very focused, and indeed served very clearly its purpose.

So yeah, while it would have been nice for Michiko, Hiroshi and Hatchin to live happily ever after, that just isn’t realistic. Michiko is wanted by the police. It just isn’t realistic for her to raise a child while she constantly has to look out for the police, and the only reason why she took the huge gamble of busting jail and running away from the police was to let Hatchin meet her father. Even though she definitely wanted to see Hiroshi back, and probably still loves him, she knew all along that she’d be returning to jail when she ended up meeting the guy, and Atsuko saw that as well.

And then of course it would have been nice for Hatchin to grow up along with her father in Mexico, but the dude ran away for a reason. There’s no way that he’s suddenly going to have a change of heart. He indeed quickly left Hatchin to chase after another woman. I didn’t quite catch where Hatchin’s kid came from, but that’s not really important for the story. In any case, Hatchin renames herself back to Hana and starts working quietly as a restaurant’s cook for a bunch of years, to wait for Michiko to sit out her time in jail. And so, when the latter gets released for real, she of course immediately heads to where Hatchin ended up living (she probably knew this because Hiroshi left her the address). Oh, and grown up Hatchin looks awesome, by the way.

The only disappointment with this ending really was that we never knew who exactly was Hatchin’s mother. Sure we also don’t know exactly what happened during Hiroshi’s bus accident, but we don’t need to: he clearly faked his own death in order to run away from the likes of Satoshi and the other gang members he got on bad terms with, but I’d love to have seen Hatchin’s mother, though that would probably be one of the countless women Hiroshi hung out with, only to dump afterwards after making her get the wing tattoo.

I don’t think that this is going to be one of the best endings of the season, though it is probably going to be the most realistic one. And furthermore, the rest of this series definitely has been one of the most enjoyable ones out of the ones currently airing, apart from Birdy the Mighty. It was definitely fun blogging this series (and fanboying about Hatchin), and I’m looking forward to about two years from now, in which we get to see Manglobe’s next epic.

1. I love it says:

I wanted so much to see hatchin with long hair ToT, but she looks great x)
    I’m going to miss this anime, I loved everything in it, the story, the characters, everything … And I’m going to miss Michiko so much, I really like her!!! ToT

2. Israeru says:

Wow! Great series, good final :D

Some in spanish:

Gran serie, buen final. Sin duda Michiko e Hatchin es un anime que se sale de lo común que estamos acostumbrados a ver. Soy fan de Manglobe tambien :D

3. Broken-Stomach says:

loved the series and like i mentioned before the music was amazing in this series it really captures the emotions portrayed.I am sad the series ended but as mentioned it ended really well. I knew that Hiroshi would ditch cause that is his character portrayed through out the series even though they made him seem as this lovable guy but in reality is just another player. Yes Hatchin does look amazing and i wanted to see longer hair but i guess thats all part of her tomboyish character and attitude which in the end gave her the courage to go find MiChiko again for a long awaited reunion. SERIES 9.2/10 0.8 just because i would have liked to have known the stories from the flashbacks but thats about it
    PEACE I HOPE YOU ALL ENJOYED IT AS MUCH AS I DID

4. Chris says:

I was pretty disappointed with this ending, actually. Far too many loose ends, like the meaning behind the tattoo, who Hatchin’s mother was, how Hatchin somehow knew to meet Michiko at some random location on a road at a specific time, etc etc etc. I wasn’t really expecting some big gun fight, but at the same time I was hoping for a lot more than this. Good series all in all, but the ending was a total let down for me.

5. Wence says:

Great series all around, everything seemed to just flow? in a sense-. I agree with some of the complaints especially not knowing Hatchins mother. Or to be honest I would have liked to even just know her age at the end exactly (I could guess 17-19?) But she really does look great. To bad it was over with the father after 3 months heh. I will myself miss the story , the characters , settings , pretty much everything. Not the ‘best’ ending , but you know none ever are. I found it a realistic ending- and was glad to find Hana Happy and in the what our two heroins are together again.

All around It was a great series, and knowing me ill re watch it again sometime soon.

6. Hadeel says:

i’m really really gonna miss michiko sooo much
    and hatchin …. the ending is good but i tought they could do it better .____. !!!!

Great anime 9/10
    i wish if there is season 2 xDDD

7. Wutai says:

I was so disappointed when I saw this episode, but only because it wasn’t subbed and I hadn’t an idea what was being said. I managed to piece the events together watching it and after reading this too. I have to admit, that was one killer way to end a great series.

I just loved older Hatchin too. Those rings seemed like a testament to Michiko somehow.

8. oldboy says:

SPOILER ALERT
    Hatchin mother is Michiko as said by her in ep 01 and the resemblance between Hatchin s daughter and Michiko.
    This anime demands a little more from the audience than just plain contemplation, thats the kind of anime i like and thts why this anime was so great.

9. Frankie says:

The whole Hana’s mother thing I’m fine not knowing the answer…Her character wouldn’t be very important to begin with seeing as Hana was left in the care of that priest..and i’d probably be pissed off about it. tch. It was fine for me that Hana had Michiko and Michiko Hana…biological or not, Michiko is Hana’s mother to me and best friend. :)

10. ainfiendsaom says:

I was so disappointed with the ending :'(
    And I was kind of hoping Hatchin would go with Lenine lul

11. Vana says:

I thought it was common knowledge that Michiko was Hana’s mother. She had her baby pic with her name and b-day on it (something one of Hiroshi’s random ex’s wouldnt have just had lying around.) And she said it herself in the first episode. Many people in the series are aware, and ask Hana if Michiko is her mom, but Hana denies it. Either out of pure obliviousness, or her feelings of discontent with associating herself so intimately with someone so reckless.

12. nadia says:

How in the heck can she be Hatchin’s mom?!?! Michiko went to jail. That pic with the Birthday on it came from the Foster care/ orphanage and Michiko told the priest she was the mom for the sense of urgency. Do you think the priest would’ve let any stranger come to visit? Hatchins son was dark because he is half. Latino/lusophone….hello, fake Brazil?

Think of the fine children/breeding stock Aidan and rem would offspring =P
Dye their hair, make things confusing ;)
@Anon, hahahaha, cool joke bro.....
...............................Don't make me destroy you.
The one with red hair of course
rem? who's that?
Having read the books, theres afew inconsistencies and I dont like some of the choices for actors.
*couldn't
Buh buh but Aiiiidan you still have the koe no katachi movie and thaaats kyoani =P But lol phantom world was so poor I couldn't get past the second episode. A shame that they could go with the darker spin the author ended up apparently going for in later volumes.
@Lenlo, I am currently eh on it as well. Only at the second episode so far. I find it interesting but it has a lot of things that turn me off.
7 YEARS I SAT ON THAT BOAT!

Still havnt finished Flip Flappers. I like it, its pretty, each episode is different, but I can barely tell what the over-arching narrative is and thats a big deal to me
ITS REAL
BOAT TIER
@Aidan, Series of Unfortunate Events was eh. I wasnt a big fan of the TV adaptation, though I did like Neil Patrick Harris
@Lenlo: BOAT TIER lmao.
Thats why I LOVED flippflappers so much, where else can I get THAT anywhere, totally its own thing/beast.
My big ones for the year were easily Rakugo and Re:Zero. Disappointments, biggest one is Berserk. Ive been following it for years, have the entire series on my shelf, and I watched it like a captain going down with his ship
At the same time well, yes its still good to see a non-highschool story in ANYTHING.
Ah, you see I don't really award points to an anime doing something unique to anime, I judge by all mediums as a group/whole. 91 days may be a mafia drama, kabaneri may be a zombie show but theres already plenty of those in the world elsewhere.
I could see myself getting some oldskool charm out of alderman if I watched it. I was waiting for yuri on ice to be dubbed. Drifters for all its problems was some of the most fun I've had in ages.
The only thing I saw that I truly abhorred though was the new shinkai film.
Most of the other stuff I didn't really bother watching. Its pointless for me to shit on about 91 days and re:zero because I was guaranteed to dislike both before seeing either.
Biggest disappointments for me were erased , berserk and joker game. Whereas my surprise was lost passage. My favourites of the year were flippflappers and Rakugo. I wanted Kabaneri and dimesion w to save anime and bring back some oldskool charm but that didn't happen.
Alright I spent over an hour formatting this thing and now I am knackered. Readers, this summery is over 23 pages long so be prepared as this thing is pretty huge. Don't say you were not warned.
@Kaiser, Watch it. I bet it will be up your alley.
Thats a problem with adaptations, put a voice on certain characters and it can become irritating.
And to be fair on scums wish, that it deals with the sex bit in a teen story, well that makes it more daring and thats points for it.
@Aidan: Largely stayed away from that series as I assumed it was for young children.
@Aidan: Additionally the relationships in that manga got too convoluted, the comedy stands out worse in the anime too. Still though I DO dig the idea behind the show of two kids who are in a fake relationship.
@Kaiser, you think that's hard to watch try watching Netflix's A series of unfortunate events. Because boy do I want to brutally murder the banker and his family. That may sound severe to you but trust me, you will feel likewise.
@Aidan: You were right about it being harder to watch scums wish than read it. I want to hit the twin tails girl with a hatchet.
I'm laughing now remembering an old ANN review where they stated golgo 13 was a stress reliever for 30 something Japanese office workers, I get that so much more now lol
But seriously violence in fiction, anime/manga included is so damn therapeutic.
As such I genuinely was able to enjoy the new M night shaylman flick lol
Venting here largely because I can, I now imagine the teenage/twenty something audience members at horror/thriller films as the victims in the films, makes it more tolerable to deal with their existence in the cinema.
I cant help but feel theres some cultural aspect I am missing to the Rakugo rant scene. Makes me sad.
Rakugo, continues to be great and gets another time skip. Im always surprised by how engrossing it is just listening to these people talk.
Makes me sad, just like Berserk. Got an entire shelf dedicated to it but its just so slow. stupid boat.
Vagabond was phenomenal, but its been on hiatus for years now hasnt it
....well without spoiling towards the middle of that rakugo episode and all throughout during that middle part, my opinion on Yotaro's character went far up.
Struggling to remember the name of that josei samurai manga from the 90s (or earlier 2000s), had a gender bending theme.
I've already read kenshin and vagabond, I loved shigurui death frenzy and sword of the stranger but found samurai champloo uneven. Theres a kagemusha manga but I haven't read it and I've yet to see/read blade of the immortal.
At a glance I'll go against the grain and say I think demi-chan is funnier than konosuba, going on one episode of each.
I've been watching a fare share of samurai films in the last two years and lately so I'm open to wathing more anime/reading manga dealing with samurai.
Hand Shakers, how I love to watch it jumping off the cliff. This show contains lines like "I don't understand... even if I did understand... but I don't understand." It isn't a dialogue that we encounter too often I'm sure.
@Mario, Sounds good to me. With me covering Little Witch Academia, Saga of Tanya the evil and Rakugo this season is well covered.
so I've decided to blog 3-gatsu, Scum's Wish and ACCA this season. A bit worry about the latter as I still don't have much to talk about that. Let's try it and see what happens; I say
Okay, I'm not hot on Onihei this week, as if the main theme about these two episodes were "people can be corrupted" then I'm not buying it. ACCA, on the other hand, was still very solid of building up the world and its big events to come.
I have played all the big roguelikes and found they have the same problem. I argee on procedural generation. Even if the map is different every time you are essentailly going through the same rooms and doing the same things.
Though to be honest, I don't like procedural(or designed room and then game connects them randomly) games much. I much enjoy hand designed dungeons since I rarely play games through more than once anyway so roguelike's appeal of "Every time you play it through its different!" doesn't appeal to me much and hand designed dungeons are much more memorable
Can't really comment further on that since I don't know which roguelikes you have played, and neither I have played gungeon so I don't know if its badly designed to the point you can't do anything if rng says so. Though I guess there is nothing wrong about liking luck based games, if roguelike in question is truly unbeatable if rng says so, well, its really badly designed one if you ask me.
Take my last run. Made it up to the fourth floor. Got plenty of guns but none were really useful. Even then ran out of ammo for all of them and the game was cheap about giving out ammo. Plenty of money but shops with nothing worth buying. Over 5 heart containers but no goddamn health. Died on the boss because I rolled out of a bullet into another bullet. Pretty much unavoidable.
@Masky, that's the theory but in pretty much every roguelike I played its not the case. If the RNG decides you are going to have a bad time then you are going to have a bad time. Skill can only bring you so far. I have played this game for 7 hours and I know I could have finished it in 2. Only thing stopping me is a dice roll.
Like, the thing with roguelikes is that they can get easier/harder depending on luck, but well done one should be completable even without any upgrades at all if you are skilled enough.
Thats not the really case with roguelikes though, unless game design is bad and includes insta kill traps and such that are unavoidable if you are unlucky
I hate roguelikes. Been playing enter the Gungeon and I just lost all patience with it. Getting real tired of my victory being decided by a RNG. It never feels satisfying to finish a roguelike because I know my victory was determined by pure luck.
So we got to rely on fansubs for it when it's airing.
@Mario, Nope. I think because netflix only puts up full seasons they are only planning to put it up when it's finished airing. Or when it's dubbed.
But how does the Netflix thing work? So of I have a Netflix account I can watch the show weekly?
@Aidan: that's a dumb way to do things really because unless you watch the show weekly, everyone gonna forget that it even exist. Just look at Re-Life last year
thought*. Words are hard.

Eventually found the actual first ep though and enjoyed it.
Was funny. I tried to find the first Ep for Little Witch, found original short made afew years ago, watched it and though "This is very similar to the original... Whats new".
Little witch is one of the best shows this season and yet I can't get subtitles because Netflix doesn't release shows weekly. Motherf*cker.
Ore Monogatari I enjoyed. It was a nice romance that actually explored what happens after the confession. Also the 2 leads are just precious.
Alright but unmemorable seems like a good summation.
@Lenlo: one good thing about Seiren is if you don't like this romance, the whole thing gonna reset after episode 4 so there's a chance that you might end up like it. Agreed that the comedy wasn't very good. Alright but unmemorable
@Topgavin: I watched like first 3 episodes and stopped because I didn't have much time there, but I enjoyed what I saw. A well-written and endearing show in my book
Has anyone here watched Ore Monogatari before? Because in the 4 years I've watched anime, I've never heard of it (I guess it did come out 2 years ago) and yet it's turning out to be one of my favorite shows. Always great going into a show expecting nothing and getting pleasantly surprised.
Only one more impression to go. Should have it up tomorrow.
Im really not feeling Seiren. Its "comedy" isnt for me and I just dont find it very enjoyable to watch so far. Im curious if it gets any better but 2 episodes in it just isnt that good.
HelghastKillzone
That ending scene is an entire side-story compressed into that. Don't expect anymore of it from here on out as the it sticks to ruthless military/fantasy pretty well.
LookingForKeys
@Topgavin I think it was good, making it the second episode. That way the first set up the world the story will be in, and showed how much of a monster the "little girl" really is right at the end, and then made ep.2 the explanation. Nothing against Tanya trying to rip "God" a new one.
That after-credits scene, though...
Hmm, as much as I like Seiren's omnibus format, it doesn't turn out really hot this second episode. Demi-chan, on the other hand, still maintains its endearing tone. Might blogging Demi-chan instead
Yeah, that second episode was much better than the first. Dunno why they didn't start with that to be honest, waste of an opportunity for a good hook episode. The voice for the main girl still sounds weird to me though; I get it's supposed to sound weird because it symbolizes 'her' being out of place and her personality and body being a mismatch, but it'll certainly take some getting used to.
Youjo Senki, now we are talking. Like Helghast said, Did the god scene way better than the LN and manga. Made it less comedic and more intimidating.
Oh man that Rakugo intro. Not sure what to think, but first time seeing it I liked it
I sort of like good will hunting because I kind of saw a bit of myself in Damon's character when I watched it ages ago.
@Mario: Remaking psycho and ruining the shower scene, for shame van sant, for shame.
Its easy to ripoff some obscure thing though and get away with it. The dogtooth director essentially stole an old Mexican film to make that.
@Kaiser: yeah, that following some guys from behind like they were on a RPG games, which I think actually fit with the tones of Elephant. I have such mixed feeling with Gus van Sant too. Don't really think he's a great director.
@Mario: Although Istvan Szabo is probably a little more well known for that Mephisto film that updates the Faust story. Zoltan Fabri's the fifth seal is a very thought provoking war movie.
@Mario: I remember seeing a film documentary that featured Gus van sant in one section, they showed clips of tarrs films, Sant ripped of the cinematography and stole the style from some British short film to make Elephant.
@Kaiser: agree on the other Hungarian filmmakers, I don't know much about them either.
@Mario: Scorsese's Silence was a big comeback. I really really emotionally connect with spiritual crisis stories.
@kaiser: yep, definitely check wreckmeister down. Althought I admit that watching his 2-hour plus films will feel like 5-hour anyways
@Mario: I'm more tolerant of darker teenage/coming of age films/stories. Les Demons was a big surprise.
@Mario: Though its kind of frustrating, I do think Tarr probably takes attention away from other hungarian filmakers because no-body knows who the hell the others are.
@Mario: Man, wreckmeister was so visually arresting I started getting dreams from it.
@Mario: I would consider Tarr to be kind of a poor mans Janco, Angelopolus and Tarkvosky rolled into one. I don't entirely "get" wreckmeister and man from London but they are great atmospheric mood piece experiences.
@Kaiser: I had been wanting to watch Belar Tarr's Turin Horse and Werckmeister Harmonies for so long now. Well, Fat Girl is shocking haha, but I'm normally drawn into those kind of films anyway.
@Kaiser: Margaret took like 5,6 years to release because he couldn't cut it down in the way he wanted. The final cut if I remembered correctly was edited by Martin Scorsese
@Mario: Only a HDcam for moonlight now.
I looks like my lineup is witch academia, rakugo and youjo senki, well the most latter one until I get bored.
@Mario: I sense a directors cut for manchester, it feels like it need another 30 minutes.
@Kaiser: right up my valley. Watch Kenneth Lonergan's previous works Magaret and You Can Count on Me. Magaret is very messy but have a raw dialogue and interactions as well
Now the first episodes are over, I will keep on covering 3-gatsu, as for the other twos atm I have 3 options: 1) full romance/anti-romance high school Seiren/Scum's Wish. 2) slice-of-life moe monster girls Demi-chan/Maid Dragon and 3) Mature,dark Onihen/Acca (which although I like them I don't have much to talk about).If you guys have any preference on which shows you like covered then let me know
@Helghast: At this point I'm watching youjo senki as an entertaining guilty pleasure.
@Mario: Too many reboots upcoming, will wait for the dvds instead. I want to explore more of manchester by the sea's director's work. I also want to finally get more into Bela Tarr's stuff.
@Mario: I was rather shocked by A Ma souer/fat girls final act. Scenes with the Italian in the bedroom were initially creepy.
@Kaiser: it's a nice review Kaiser, a bit jealous with you that you've seen those 3 films which are touted as the best films of 2016. Also Fat Girl, haha, I love that movie.
Poor yotaro =< you have so much stuff going down on you =<
HelghastKillzone
Youjo Senki episode was so good today. That revamped scene with God just fitted so right.
A official release of that game in the west is apparently coming but it's been a few years and not much news about it.
@Aidan: Ah yes that was the one.
@Kaiser, Had to think for a moment on that one but I think I was talking about this. https://vndb.org/v3144
Now I'd hardly consider myself a studio trigger fan, but I watched the first witch academia episode there, it was actually kind of fun, got the same reaction from me as flipflappers did, that magical, special feeling.
@Mario: I also, of interest reviewed Kenneth Lonegrans new film: http://letterboxd.com/shao_liu_ringon/film/manchester-by-the-sea/
@Mario: Moonlight got some feels out of me though it could of been more, it ends abruptly and with 20 extra minutes they could have spent a bit more time on each section of his life.
@Mario: I checked out lala land, ending was very well executed, one of three scenes in the film that were impressive visually. The whole thing looked pretty and Gosling and Stone had some decent chemistry. Although it didn't resonate emotionally as strongly as the musicals of Jacques Demi did.
MOM I want aiyoku no eustia and I want it now.
I've never heard of himawari or tokyo babel. The hellsing comparison at least interests me in dies irae. What was the name of that visual novel again that was coming out soon, Aidan you described it as "And Kaiser would love it because its supposed to be really fucked up".
I vaguely remember the anime for 11 eyes, it was very forgettable, even the voice acting was poor, hated the childhood friends and the pacing was poor, those black knight things were kind of interesting though.
@Aidan: You'll have to add me onto the list of those unsatisfied with the ever 17 writer, I read one of those games and felt it was a bunch of interesting bait that never paid off.
Anyway I plan on doing a review of 11eyes here when I finish it.
Can't say I was a fan of Ever17. That was a really good twist but when it came to explaining it their was a lot of contrived development. Generally not a fan of the writer. Looseboy, Ryukishi, Gen and Nasu are more my kinda thing
@Anon, it is nice that so many VNs are on steam but I wish they wouldn't be stupid with the whole no adult content thing. Not so much for myself but to prevent idiots from writing negitives reviews because the game doesn't have sex. VNs can grip you in a way anime simply can't and while they require pathence and time those can be some pretty powerful stories.
@Aidan, I am so happy steam's so VN-friendly now. I think it's a very good type of media. Like anime, it has nice visuals, music and some movement but also the inner monologue and text amount of books. It's the perfect combination. Plus, the routes, which are often puzzle pieces and PoVs you have to go through to understand the whole story. True routes like the one of Ever17 blew my mind.
Hopefully the two VNs I bought of steam turn out better. Tokyo Babel is supposed to be alright and I heard really good things about Himawari.
I am about a third of the way through the game and really not much of worth has happened. The concept is interesting but the execution is sorely lacking.
I went in expecting it to be a mixed bag and it's pretty below my expectations. It's just not really well written and the protagonist is a moron. THere isn't really routes and instead you are pretty much stuck with his childhood friend as the main love interest. Problem with that is her character begins and ends with loving the main.
@Aidan, damn. 11Eyes is on my reading list as well. Although I almost expected it to not be as good as I thought it'd be (back then). Guess I would have enjoyed it if I was able to read it while the (shitty) adaption aired, maybe I have seen/read too many series by now. Guess I'll still give it a try some day though.
@Anon, I haven't heard the OST or watched the intro video. I only know it be reputation and have decided to walk into it as blind as I can. Still slightly worried as I was somewhat looking forward to reading 11Eyes for a couple of years and now that I am reading it it's well...not good.
@Aidan, same here. I was waiting years for this, since I saw the intro video for the first time. Also, that OST!
HelghastKillzone
Youjo Senki is already leagues better than Izetta. It's going to be top anime of forever and ever. (maybe not)
And finally Dies Irae is funded. May actually be able to play and finish the game before the anime airs. If the hype is real behind this baby it could be a new personal favorite Visual Novel of mine. Already looking promising with it being like a cross between Hellsing and Fate/Stay Night. Two things I most certainly like.
@Masky, in regards to style over substance thats where im at with Gurrne Lagann.
Yeah, I'll probably watch the next episode to see whether it can redeem itself. Hopefully it can but considering 1st episodes usually get a lot of budget, there's some severe doubt in there.
I actually argee with character designs and voices are bad in regards to female characters. Still the next episode might change your mind if we get more into the main characters head.
It's boring
Also, it seems I disagree with a lot of people in thinking Youjo Senki will be a massive trainwreck. The character designs are awful, the voice acting is mismatched but most of all the premise just seems so very dumb. If I wanted to watch a badass kill people I'd go watch Hellsing or Drifters, because at least those don't have some op, disproportionate loli as the mc.
Gets even more complicated when you account for Satire and Parody. You could equally argue all examples listed as being as such.
Little Witch Academia is a decontruction of Harry Potter....I don't believe that but honestly if I tried I could put some reasoning behind that statement.
In the end, it always comes down to opinion (as with every discussion about anime, for some reason). You could spin any and every series as a "deconstruction", which is why people shy away from using the word. You could argue NGE, Madoka and Re:Zero are all deconstructions yet also argue Gundam, Precure and SAO are depending on what points you weigh more importantly.
Like, if deconstruction is supposed to be just "break the elements and then play story how it would realistically go down" well I haven't watched NGE, but as far as I know it does have stuff that isn't typical to mecha genre besides the "It would fuck up kids" thing plus "realistically how it would play out" is pretty subjective thing. I mean, its mainly about how cynical bastard the writer is :P
Like I said, I don't fully agree with it because I find video's speaker's attitude annoying, but I found it semi convincing. Main thing I don't find convincing about it is that I don't think its hard to turn video's own arguments agaisnt it and say that by its own logic NGE isn't deconstruction either, like Aidan just said earlier
And I don't really have energy for checking out the "correct" one. If there even is one. Anyway, the hipster video I was talking about was titled "What Actually Is A Deconstruction?" if you want to check it out.
Hmm, well, it does depend on definition you use. Like if you use "realistic" thing, well, Magical Girl shows don't usually have "You turn into monsters" thing going on and reason why NGE's pilots go crazy is from dangerous situations rather than evas making them do so. But honestly, I don't really have strong opinion on matter since word seems to be one of those with several different meaning
for me Madoka IS a deconstruction of Magical girl, and yeah like what Aidan said
I think part of Utena is a deconstruction of "prince riding horse and save the girl" because that notion is just a foundation for Utena to become a prince herself and save other girl. That's breaking it apart and resemble it again in its own way. Don't have to be dark/ don't have to be real either
@Masky, That's just debating semantics. Besides that difinition would pretty much mean that Neon Genesis Evangelion isn't a decontruction either. Madoka isn't a decontruction because it's dark. It's more in its aspects of criticising why a girl should throw her ordinary life away for something as dangerous as being a magical girl. It does take plenty of the typical tropes and turn them on its head
@Masky: Genre deconstruction is such a tricky word that I normally try to avoid using because there's really no set characteristic about the term and different people have different opinions about what constitute "deconstruction". For me, I disagree that deconstruction have to be dark and real, hmm can't say it well but I will give you an example:
But yeah, I guess I could try to find the video if you guys are interested, though like I said, I got hipsterish feel from the video and felt rather annoyed through it even though I did get what the point was and found it sort of convincing besides my annoyance
(not that liking NGE is hipsterish, its just that I find NGE to be more style than substance sort of series <_< Anyway, guy didn't dislike madoka or anything, he just seemed to dislike people using word deconstruction wrong in his opinion)
(especially with how much they seemed to praise Neon Genesis Evangelion)
I mean, I think the guy was being somewhat hipsterish, but its true the being darker take on genre isn't same as deconstructing the genre
@AidanAK47: Some other guy on youtube did video that had actually pretty good point about how Madoka isn't really deconstruction, if you go by definition of "Break it down to parts and then play them straight to show how horrifying it would be in real life"
Gente - Ristorante no Hitobito
If anything its the hate I have for certain characters that makes it more effective.
The obsessional level of attachment is just uncomfortable to me, I don't want to get THAT attached to a non-real character.
Its literally just a case of "Okay lets look at this picture of this character, she looks interesting, no feelings or expression from me, apply this fetish, fap, get release, go home. "
Or drooling/dribbling/heavy breathing/grinning over the characters. I abhor alot of the anime girls I find attractive or am indifferent, even when looking at ecchi/hentai drawings I'm straight and clinical with it.
I mean to each their own. But I really hate the level of emotion/devotion to moe/finding the characters attractive. Such as celebrating their birthdays, going on about how cute/hot they are, how important it is that they're virgins. Or not being being self-aware of how irritating the characters are.

Scum’s Wish – 02 [I’m here for that warmth]

Welcome to the roller coaster of the emotional manipulative anime of this season, are you with me on this ride? Scum’s Wish has the exact opposite issues with ACCA in that it tries to overwhelm us with lots of raw feelings that sometime it touches the line of manipulation. This episode, fortunately, still pretty much […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. – 02 [The Partner in Crime’s Name is Nino]

I admit that although I think ACCA is one the most solid show this season and I in particular like how they set up the settings and the events to come, the first two episodes didn’t grab me that much personally. As a result, in prepare for this post, I went ahead and watching them […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 15

It was inevitable that Yotaro’s past with the Yakuza would come back to haunt him but boy did it really bite him in the ass. I was wondering as to how the show would work with Yotaro and give him conflict but then this episode comes along and gives him plenty to worry about. He’s […]

Little Witch Academia – 02[Pappiliodya]

I may regret choosing to cover this series as what makes it great is a quality that cannot really be held up to professional scrutiny. Much like Triggers other works, it’s not what’s being presented that matter but rather how it’s presented. You can make the argument that Trigger doesn’t necessarily innovative but rather take […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 13 [Black River (part 2) – Beyond the Door]

This week we have 2 disjoined chapters, which are different in tones and more importantly in their point of view. We go through the first section from Smith-san perspective detailing his own thoughts towards the match against Gotou, and the latter part Rei took the stage, being on his way to challenge Gotou in next […]

Saga of Tanya the Evil – 02[Prologue]

As I initially thought, this series becomes a whole lot better when you can see the disparity between the main protagonists thoughts and how those around her view them. The first episode jumped ahead in the story to where Tanya had established herself somewhat and I believe the intent was to mislead the audience with […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2, Chaos;Child, Marginal#4 KISS Kara Tsukuru Big Bang and Scums Wish

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2 Short Synopsis: Kazama stands trial after accidentally blowing up a lord’s manor while saving the town. This show certainly hasn’t lost it’s charm. I had the biggest smile on my face while watching and it even managed to get me laughing out loud at points. I will admit […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Onihei, Gabriel DropOut and ACCA – 13-ku Kansatsu-ka

Onihei Short Synopsis: A captured thief joins the police to hunt down his old leader. For a studio’s first work this is quite a solid offering. The beginning reminded me of samurai champloo though this seems more a traditional samurai story. Animation isn’t anything too impressive but it does the job and there is some […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Hand Shakers, Kemono Friends and Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon

Hand Shakers Short Synopsis: A boy holds the hand of a girl he finds in a hospital room and ends up in a supernatural battle to the death. GoHands, you know what would be great? If you know, instead of slapping on lens flares and colour filters all over the place, you just don’t do […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100