Posted by psgels on 26 April 2009 with categories: Full Metal Alchemist - Brotherhood

Short Synopsis: The Shou Tucker arc, compressed into one episode.
Episode Rating: 7/10 (Enjoyable)
I’m amused at the people who are already disappointed by the new FMA series. I mean, it’s only been three episodes; what did you expect? The new series lacks the novelty of the original, and the series has mostly been simply building up. At the start of the season, did people expect the new Evangelion in only three episodes, or something?

Not that the new series is perfect and all, of course. The producers right now are trying to rush through the first few episodes a bit too badly, and hardly allow for any quiet moments right now, but at least these beginning episodes are a lot more easy to go through than the original series was. There were a few differences here and there, mostly involving Scar: this episode sees him kill off Basque Gran, right after he was introduced, and he kills off both Shou Tucker and his daughter. It’s good, since I never liked that guy anyway.

As for Basque Gran’s death, it was a shame he died so early. I remember his death in the original series as being one of the first memorable scenes, because it was so ironic: here the show was building him up as one of the major bad guys… and then he gets killed off so easily. But I do guess that it makes more sense this way: after all, Scar was a smart guy. Why the heck would he show his face in front of half a dozen officers. It’d be much harder for him to move around that way. Looking back, it was just another cheap trick to get Ed involved with the main storyline.

Strangely enough, this episode also showed that Scar has some sort of inside-knowledge of what’s going on inside the military. Otherwise he would never have known where Basque Gran would be, or where he could find Shou Tucker, right after he created his next chimera. At this point, I can’t remember whether or not the original series answered that question, though.

Normally I don’t mind when the creators of an anime insert their own stuff, insert fillers or go with a different storyline, but in the end it’s all going to depend on their ability to write a good storyline, which for the original FMA unfortunately didn’t go too well at certain times. The first thirteen episodes had their charms, definitely. The small scenes in which we see Scar, right before Ed arrives for the first time in Central City for example were a nice touch, as they showed how Scar was when he just received his arm (either that or my memory is deceiving me again and Brotherhood also had that scene… something must be wrong with either me or the series if I can’t remember a simple fact that happened two episodes ago…).

Anyway… it’s a shame that the fillers of Full Metal Alchemist were all just too formulaic, with dull characters and a predictable role for the two lead characters, with the only exception being the one with the dog and Armstrong’s family; that one was fun, granted. In the second half, the original material improved a lot, and the storyline was really competent, but at the same time it screwed up by trying too hard to make characters from the earlier episodes return, combined with a set of certain other characters that just got on my nerves. But I think that my biggest problem with the original series is that I could never really buy Ed and Al as the two lead characters. That’s why I appreciate Brotherhood’s attempts to make the two of them more likable.

1. Kim says:

You don’t even see Basque Gran get killed in the manga at all it is just mentioned and he himself is later shown in flashbacks. And on another note he is not a bad guy in the manga. ;)

The Scar arm thing should be in this version too but it comes later (it is a bit different in the manga storyline though)

But I really do like the Nina story. In the original manga it comes after Lior, Youswell and the train story where Ed & Al easily beat the bad guys. Nina was the first time we see that they can’t solve everything and they are very much still children. There is even a line that was unfortunately cut out: after Roy says the state alchemists are like devils Riza says “That is the logic of adults, Ed is still a child”. Another difference between this and the 1st anime is the Nina storyline happens when Ed is 12 in this series and the manga he is 15.

2. senerikfred says:

The manga, and I’m pretty sure Brotherhood as well, didn’t have Scar turn up until after he gets back from Lior, and around the Eastern HQ instead of in Central. Also, Scar’s main backstory happened back during the civil war in Ishbal, so there was a while there where he was probably just hiding/sulking in the Ishbal territory before he decided to use the arm to kill State Alchemists(he only started slightly before the time that the series is at now in the manga). And shit, I never realized just how easily he found people. I don’t think the manga ever answered that, either, unless he was just good at observing the military’s activities in the city without getting noticed-which he technically must be to stay in hiding so well, and is understandable since the military did go about exterminating his people for a while.

And I think getting confused about details is understandable when you’ve seen pretty much the same stories as these early episodes four times.

3. Kim says:

Oh as for how easily Scar finds the state alchemists you know I do not think that is mentioned specifically in the manga. I know state alchemists are well known by name even to the general public so I would guess that is how Scar gets information on them. I guess sometimes he also just gets lucky and runs into one as he roams the city. We see Scar’s successes not his failures basically.

On another note as for the pacing I actually think it was very good in this episode going by the flow of the manga. It was definitely rushed in episode 2 & 3. But in this episode they only adapted 1 chapter. In episode 2 & 3 they tried to adapt two chapters into 1 episode and it doesn’t work very well.

4. Patrick Monti says:

Well if people don’t like the new FMA is probably because it was new at the time and much darker than the new version. The new version is breaking the mood all the time with those stupid misplaced jokes. That’s my opinion of this new version at least. I seriously think they should have waited 5 to 10 years to make this, it’s too soon to make a new version of an anime like this.

5. K2 says:

The pacing is getting better. Feel like they’re starting to tell a story than summarizing them now, which is good.

I’d love to hear what you found more likeable about the Elric brothers this time around than the first version. I also thought their personality are very different. But hearing from you, who never read the manga, pointed out this fact in a few episode is interesting.

6. UmbrellaMan says:

It is hard for me to say at this point if I like this take better than the original. I haven’t read the manga, so I’m hoping that this story (as it develops) with be new to me. The only flaws that I’ve noticed (like Patrick said) are the jokes and the animation attached with them. I don’t mind humor in a serious story, but it shouldn’t be so blatant that it takes you out of the action and story. I find them to be jarring. I loved the original, and I hope that this series, if not an improvement, will at least be comparable to it. Only time will tell.

7. Windspirit says:

Well, it’s not because of the story that those who don’t like it… don’t. It’s because the director fucking sucks and the whole mood of the show has completely changed. I swear I felt like watching Bleach sometimes. There was humour in the manga too, but the dosage was much better (Arakawa has proven long time ago that she was a great storywriter).

8. edward says:

so far i think they are adapting the manga very well. starting with ep 2[origin story.] adapting chapters 23-24. ep 3 adapted chapters 1 and 2. and 4 skipped to chapter 5. cause chapters 3-4 were filler-ish. its almost adapted frame by frame with the manga.

so any criticism on the humor and jokes is none of the animators fault. its taken directly from the source. [the angles identical too] starting next ep the differences between the first anime and this one will start getting more apparent

9. senerikfred says:

It IS Brotherhood’s creators’ fault that the humor is so out of place. Arakawa set up the humor in a way that works well in a manga format, doing a direct insert of that into an anime doesn’t work nearly as well. Not coming up with a way that works better animated is just lazy.

10. minion says:

Agreed with Windspirit and others, the director completely ruined the sad, gloomy and gothic atmosphere Full Metal Alchemist had! Now, it feels like your generic shounen anime, like Bleach and Naruto! >:(

11. narkins says:

honestly I thought this episode was excellent. It stuck to the story line of the manga, though i don’t really get what people are complaining about with the jokes. Afteral there wasn’t a single short joke and the messing around with alexander and Nina is important as it gives the viewer an emotional attachment to them.

Honestly there have been pacing issues and in some of the earlier episodes the constant joke were a bit grating I agree but what were people expecting? Perfection is a a aim not a reality

12. Kim says:

I agree I might be able to understand the complaints about the jokes in the last two episodes (but I think the real issue with those was the pacing issue which did not allow enough time for the emotional scenes to sink in) but there were not that many jokes in this episode at all. I remember a few when Ed & Al were playing with Nina but that only contrasts well with what happens later. And the actual emotional scenes were not rushed at all.

Although I am nervous about the next episode because they are again adapting 2 chapters into one episode.

13. kagura says:

I’ll probably never understand people praising the previous FMA series. For me, a die-hard manga fan, it was terrible in so many ways, that I’m amazed I actually even managed to make it through all those 50 episodes, plus equally or even more terrible movie. The mentioned “sad, gloomy and gothic” atmosphere was, among other things, pretty much what ruined the first FMA for me.

The atmosphere of the current series is much more similar to manga (including all the “jokes” – they were actually taken straight from the manga, so I don’t understand where all that complaining comes from). Sure, I agree, the first episodes weren’t that great (there was a few things I’d have done differently), but I had more fun watching them, than I ever had watching the previous FMA. I’m sure that from now on it’ll only get better.

14. Loba says:

As much as I had bashed the second episode, I say this episode was pretty well done with the jokes added liberally at the right time unlike the first two episodes. I thought the scene where scar managed to kill off the general was lame. Do you ever find a general walking down the street alone? No way man. As for why scar was able to locate alchemists, just like any other kidnappers, he most likely camped, waited and striked those who bore the state alchemist watch(in this series, there are two kind of uniforms, dark blue and light blue to indicate the difference in rank).

The original anime indirectly shows that the alchemists who attacked ishbal were quite famous and well known, that’s probably how scar was able to recognise them with edward being the only exception due to him being famous because of his reputation.

As for this series…scar may have a insider like what you said or he could just be very adept at tracking down the households of alchemists. Brotherhood doesn’t have the scene of emo scar, he was justice reincarnate in this episode =)

I thought the writers were trying too hard in the first two episodes.

15. Kim says:

Like I said above State Alchemists are in general well known by name to the general public, even ones who did not take part in Ishval like Tucker. That being said some are more famous then others, Roy for the part he played in Ishval (which will be expanded on in this series) and Ed for being the youngest state alchemist for example.

Scar would know Tucker’s name and then he could easily find where he lives. It’s not like Tucker’s address would be a state secret. As for Scar arriving the same night as Nina it’s just a coincidence.

As for Gran walking by himself well the point is with his skill he doesn’t think he has anything to fear. State Alchemists are considered human weapons. The idea that Gran would not walk alone makes no sense. And even if word of Scar reached state alchemists well again at first they probably did not take the threat seriously. What could one man do against a state alchemist?

16. Mumei007 says:

At the risk of whipping a dead mule, I’ll say it again – the pacing sucks.

I’m pretty sure you’ve heard all this before but it really ruins the mood of the story. And I thought the Lior arc was done better in the first series. Well I can certainly sympathise with the creators who really need to get to the point where the first series diverged from the manga. Perhaps the pacing will then slow down a bit and Brotherhood can become a lot more bearable.

17. senerikfred says:

Agreed about the ‘sad, gloomy atmosphere’ being a flaw of the first anime. It was TOO emo, and Ed cried too much. The manga is indeed much more of a shounen, but it’s far from typical-the plot moves forward steadily, the humor is good and varying, the characters all get to develop and play a part, and while Ed has some overly-perfect qualities, Arakawa makes sure to point out often that he’s really not the strongest in the story or anything, and as with my last point, he certainly isn’t the one to do everything important. What’s so much better in the feel of the manga is that the characters do indeed get a lot of crap slung at them, but their world isn’t all bad, either, and they’re strong enough to overcome their misfortunes and fight to attain happiness.

In the words of Al in a recent chapter-“Why do I have to make a choice? Can’t I save the world, AND get my body back?” Ultimate happy end=best end, as proven in E7 and Princess Tutu. Sure there are still bittersweet aspects to the characters’ lives, but they can sure as hell achieve enough to be content.

18. Kim says:

@ senerikfred:

Wow you described what I love about the manga so perfectly. There were some things I enjoyed about the 1st anime but I feel it relied a bit too much on angst. If we can make people sad than we can forgo real character development.

But in the manga while there are sad moments the characters are constantly moving forward and not giving up. The manga is just so much more positive in its overall message and I prefer it in every way.

And as you said Ed is an important character but he is certainly not the only important character or the strongest. Every character in the manga has their moment to shine.

19. Mei says:

The dog scene and Armstrong’s family aren’t anime-only fillers. The manga artist of Fullmetal Alchemist draws some omake (funny short comic strips somewhat related to FMA) and/or side-stories at the end of every volume. Those two scenes were adapted straight from the omake and side-stories. Those and the miniskirt scene, and the Edward vs. Mustang fight. I wonder if those will still make it into the Brotherhood series.

20. ceillon says:

Funny, but I think that the manga feels flat compares to the anime and which I admit is typical of the shounen genre. And I don’t know how you can really say that the emotional quality of the original FMA was its flaw, it’s the opposite in fact. What actually separates FMA from the animes like Naruto and Bleach is the atmosphere. That characteristic of FMA actually helps it be distinguish from the multitude of shounen anime out there, which resulted to it’s success. The problem right now is that Brotherhood is showing signs of a completely forgettable series and and the reason for that is it’s lack of emotional impact on it’s audience. FMA was memorable because it was depressing, it was memorable because it was tragic, it was memorable because it was brutal, it was memorable because it was bloody and it was memorable because the ending was bittersweet.

21. Mumei007 says:

Is it just me or did Nina only call Edward onii-chan in the end? My friend was watching the subbed version on Animax and he asked me why the “chimera suddenly called Edward brother”.

22. Travis says:

there is nothing appealing to this new FMA series it sucks. there is no emotion and nothinng pulls me into it.

Bokusen
@SuperMario Thanks! I'll give Houseki no Kuni a try then. A lot of the series I thought would be good are disappointing me, so I might be following a low number of series this season & it'd be cool if Houseki turns out to be something I like enough to watch this season.^-^
@Kaiser: right. The sole reason I described it as "cinematic" was just to lure you into watching it, so mission accomplished! Mind you, Girls' Last Tour is still a moe show at heart (look at their round faces and those big eyes. They're killing me)
But in all seriousness, I had had it initially written off as a crap moe show.
@Mario: You're ministry of anime propaganda tactics mentioning how cinematic it is got me to pick it up =P And you know how much of an aesthetics guy I am =P
I'm glad that many of you enjoying Girls' Last Tour. It's a nice little gem that I think works best when you going to it without any expectation
I swear this season has a lot of good anime to offer. I'm jaded
I always considered backgrounds as pretty important. Most anime only use them as backdrops because they have to be there somehow and it's really a different thing than Girls' Last Journey for example. Also I will like everything that has exploration and world building.
And achieves taking the viewer into its world, thankfully without relying on tons of expositional dialogue.
Girls last tour, somewhat succeeds in pulling me in by using its landscape that dwarfs the characters, to create its atmosphere, I wouldn't call it all that unfunny either. Though premise could risk going stale.
@Amagi, HA! Yeah I would like to believe but I am thinking that's not the case. Besides next season is looking pretty barren so far.
Eden would be great. But speaking of it, a lot of good manga get adapted recently. Maybe they finally understood that generic isekai, harem and school stuff isn't as popular as they thought it would be.
Maybe one day I can hope for a Freesia or Eden Endless world adaptation.
Jesus christ....I never thought it would happen, Banana fish is being adapted, I didn't think they could adapt a shoujo like that in todays market.
I also watched Inuyashiki and Girl's Last Tour. Inuyashiki looks great. Man do I hate that young guy. Reading what he did and seeing it was a totally different experience. Cannot wait for the next episode.

Girls Last Tour is really something special. In a good way.
Altair's episode showed all the issues and all the good things of the show. The pace is too quick, and yet they managed to build Urado and its denizens up quick fast in it. But again, this is a show that needs the LGOH treatment.
The manga also always uses "he/him" but I am not sure if the original had this too (like "kare" or similar words) since you can talk for a long time in Japanese without ever using pronouns.
Ah, yes I noticed Phos uses Boku in this episode which is the male way of saying I.
@Mario: Man, Zvyagintsev really, really knows how to deliver truly emotional gut punching moments and endings that are like cutting at open wounds.
@Mario: Houseki has fallen into place for me with those scenes with Dia and the snail thing and I've fully embraced the show, happy to see it just continue to do its thing.
@Mario: While Marios are girls best friend DIAmonds ahhhhre for evvvvvvahhh *Shirley Basey voice*
*bride
I can say though that if people fear the "Bastard Boyfiend" angle, its not that really. Its more of really weird apprenticeship relationship. Ainsworth is inhuman character in many ways
Oh hey, Mahoutsukai no Yome is on covered list. Nice, it is weird manga to read through since I'm kind of creeped out by the bribe thing, but its barely mentioned at all.
After finishing Made in Abyss it stuck out, some animation shortcuts in this week's Mahoutsukai. Holding on frames a bit too long, mainly having the music giving the emotion. To be fair, it was also a slow part in the manga.
If I recall correctly, the words "wandering Jew" were used at one point in the manga in relation to the villain.
Mahoutsukai was very pretty this week, but there were some troubling things popping up in there.
@Aidan: They are trying to bring Phos back from a snail. Man, Houseki sure is... quirky
@Mario, I would take a guess and say they are fighting evil by moonlight.
Okay, heading to Houseki now... let's see our gems doing this week
@Bokusen: (not because I'm blogging it but) watch it. it's a polarized one but it at least offers something original. I still haven't watched the third one though.
The new Mahoutsukai no Yome episode was so beautiful. TwT
Bokusen
BTW, is Houseki no Kuni worth watching? I was turned off by the animation, but I've read some good reviews on it.
Bokusen
Darn, last message didn't show up for me but now it does. Sorry about that.
Bokusen
Tanya the Evil and Uchouten Kazoku 2 were the gems this year for me so far, but Abyss was definitely the best thing I watched last season.
Bokusen
Tanya the Evil & Uchouten Kazoku 2 were the gems this year for me so far, though Abyss was definitely the best thing I watched last season.
Doesn't mean that there weren't other good series but I distinguish between good and somethin special I will instantly remember even months or years later.
How can you not like at least one of the current series, this season is pretty good. MiA was probably my only real great thing in the last season though.
@Anon, Aren't you forgetting Acca, Rakugo, Little Witch Academia and Tanya the Evil?
Made in Abyss seems like it's the only gem this year for me tbh
Whoa, I never even knew we had a PM feature.
@Kaiser: I've received it. Thanks Kaiser. I've never noticed the PM feature either
@Mario: I sent you a private message.
oh boy. Just received Mind Game Bluray Region free today. I ordered/funded it through Kickstarter a year ago and eventually forgot about it. Was a nice surprise to see it in the mail today
silver
I enjoyed this week's Kino. Leave only footprints indeed.
On the other hand I noticed some slight censoring in juuni taisen episode 3 I think.
I was also surprised with the lack of censorship during Inuyashiki's second episode.
First episode of inuyashiki covered the whole of volume 1.
*but almost never
@Mario: In general, Death of Stalin is an amusing film throughout, but never laugh out loud hilarious, Simon Beale is hilarious in it as Beria.
@Amagi: Gonzo did that mecha 7 samurai thing we must never speak of. However schmaltzly/sentimental Ikiru is, however it slumps slightly in the middle and final arc , it was still a genuinely moving film.
*than it is
To elaborate, I expected to dislike inuyashiki based on not enjoying Gantz, my reaction to the second episode was the same as Amagi's . The first episode was heavy handed a bit as Aidan mentioned, but its harder to watch that scene with the older guy get bullied/tormented that it is to watch highschool kids getting picked on by cliche anime thugs.
Also why Hillary Clinton? I mean i know Trump is supposed to have a cameo in the manga but why her?
@Vyse, Lets not jinx it. Plenty of series have shown great potential in their second episodes only to flop later. We can sing praises if it keeps this quality to the conclusion.
VyseLegendaire
Inuyashiki main villain should be Hillary Clinton
VyseLegendaire
Inuyashiki is suddenly like the best thing of the decade.
I wish there were more old MC series out there. Liked that about Real Drive too. Maybe someone will have mercy and adapt Kurosawa one day. Not exactly old but at least a series about a guy with midlife crisis.
I thought the happenings of the second Inuyashiki episode would have been too egdy but they actually gave the last few scenes a very good impact and the episode showed pretty well how sociopathes think (that whole gap between emotions for real people VS manga/fiction characters and events)
yup, I have no problem with Lenlo's review. Execution is what matters with me.
@Lenlo: You managed to sell me on a show that I didn't think I'd have bothered with.
silver
You did fine. It's a risk associated with reading post-viewing episodic discussions. Pretty much everyone knows that if you don't want to be spoiled don't even get online.
I tried to leave explicit spoilers about what happened outside the (more...) tag, but its a risk of readin a review I suppose.
silver
Hah, sorry about spoiling it. That's the problem with major shocks like that; they're most effective if you're not expecting them. Still, the show has deft execution of its executions, and that makes the experience worse than I could imagine.
Well im glad it convinced you. Tried something different with writing this week
man I should not had read the review. Now I will go and watch Inuyashiki. I had missed it.
silver
@Lenlo: It caught me off guard, too. Definitely working to earn that 'psychological' genre tag.
Well... Inuyashiki surprised me today. It went far darker than I was expecting. Thanks Gants author
@Mario: Such an odd art style, have you ever seen these? These are the film covers the Polish get:
*that was the most interesting character
@Mario: Z's ending was very very well played and it was Jean Tringnents was interesting, largely for that he was a right winger working with the left wingers.
And of course the British version of house of cards.
I wonder if he's seen Yes Minister and The New Statesman, also political comedies and for those of us who lived in the 80s seeing Thatcherites getting slagged off was great.
@Mario: I do think thick of it works better though as the humour serves a thirty minute episode more comfortably. Stalin's fairly short though so I don't think the joke will run out.
@Kaiser: the Death of stalin is the title I'm looking for as well. Will screen here in few weeks. I almost reccomend In the Loop and the Thick of It (haven't watched the latter though) for Travlos since they're a political satire, which I think he'll enjoy
@Amagi: Hope you already booked that heavens feel screening, cause its sold out.
I've heard that the anime's character development in Juuni taisen expands on the books, which only give them short lines for their backgrounds.
Ah, so perhaps in Juuni taisen they'll spin that so the Rat guy uses the ox guy to his advantage in some different way.
@Mario: There is a special atmosphere watching anime on a big screen.
@Mario: I might be seeing death of Stalin tomorrow or Saturday. The thick of it was hilarious and this has the same director as that.
Both Z and All the President's Men are coassic movie. Hold my attention from start to finish. Z, in particular, wowed me that I literally had my mouth wide open
Off tangent, watching Fireworks in the cinema the other day made me realize how I miss watching movies on the big screen. I might try to go to the cinema once a week again. Been missed out all the good movies lately.
In the Great Race story, Rat used a very underhanded tactic to win the race (it jumps into the Ox to pass the great river and then jump off to the finish line. This Rat guy's speciality is Killing All so there is a high chance that he survives till the end
@Kaiser: I have no doubt that we will have more amazing character arcs for Juuni Taisen.
But that could prove to be too predictable.
I wonder if the Rat guy is going to be the wild card in all this, after all in the old story, wasn't it the Rat who won that zodiac race thing?
Juuni Taisen is killing off its most interesting characters.... =< I wanted the bird girl to stay around a bit longer.
I'd love to see more Lem or Stugastky style/brand of scifi, I need to rewatch stalker again.
@Amagi: Going back to the cyberpunk thing, I don't want just any ol' thing getting made, I want to see something scifi related thats ACTUALLY clever and has long and DIFFICULT dialogue .
@Travlos: While not a political series Chaos;head is a good example of being annoyed at the conspiracy thing, what drives me up the wall about that show and its sequel is how every every time I think about going back to it I realize that its only interesting on a surface level and is utter hokkum.
@Kaiser. Yup, perhaps because I work in political science, they tend to anger me. So I avoid them. Borgen is a good political series.

In general. It still startles how much of a better character anime Tsutomu was comapred to manga Tsutomu in Bridy the Mighty. But I forgive the manga as I get more Gomez!
@Amagi/Kaiser, thought as much. Strike it off the list then. And God Tsubasa was a cluster fuck by the end.
Eh simul-dub of Juuni taisen is out, I might aswell keep up with that instead.
Y'know I had this weird relationship with dragonball in general. When I was younger I never actively seeked out the show, but on a rare occasion I would watch random episodes whenever I was channel hopping and nothing else was on.
@Amagi: Clamp shared universe was a mistake.
I really really wish that that tone breaking style of comedy stops being a thing.
It doesn't happen often, but there ARE shows we all have that snap trigger us when they get mentioned.
I feel my disdain of re:zero is because I hate Akame ga kill and Higurashi so much and it prevents me because of bias from enjoying it.
@Aidan: In addition to what i posted about Pandora, you will hate the comedy.
@Mario: I will rewatch it, the first one is one of those things that improved on repeat viewings.
@Travlos: Conspiracy theories are one of those things I find myself taking interest in, then almost immediately consider immensely stupid and a waste of time.
Aidan: If you didn't like the first parts of Pandora you won't like the rest either. Most people that loved it did this because of the characters and setting, the story isn't really getting better and I kinda disliked what they did near the end. It was overcomplicated and everyone had like three different personalities, plot twists and so on. Not nearly as bad as Tsubasa Chronicle though
@Bokusenou, believe me when I say you are not few. There are plenty who Dislike Re:Zero. I can understand it and I sort of get where your coming from regarding the characters. (Though Saber sucks) There is just something about the series that I just adore.
@Kaiser. I have not watched most of them. But I have watched Z and All the President's Men. Both are great films. The issue with me is that while I like political thrillers I despite conspiracy theories. Far too many pol. thrillers dive into con.theory stuff. So I must be discriminating.
Okay, I'm off to watch Blade Runner 2049 now. Hopefully it can be as good as the original
In contrast World's End Harem, surprisingly looks to be trying. It has one story trying to play straight, the scenario of being the last man in a world mainly habited by woman. And has had this framing of self worth, temptation and doubt I like. No work of art, but surprising for this type of manga.
In regards to manga, I'll need to look for something good, being losing time with ecchi stuff. Which I can tell Okamoto should just make hentai, seeing as his latest work, doesn't even try to be anymore than pandering trash (at least older work, had a notion of a story).
@Travlos: Did all the presidents men and Parallax view by Pakula appeal to you?
@Travlos: Actually as your are a Greek....have you watched Z, missing, State of siege or the confession? None of them are actually in Greek but they were political thrillers directed by Costa Gravas.
KT here: Well I am a sucker for political thrillers and "grand" politics, so the direction it took is quite fun for me. Even if it does indicate a Tomino ending.
For me Titan peaked at volume 8 and I never bothered continuing on much further.
@Aidan: I remember a commenters on here a good while ago that mentioned the ending didn't satisfy or come together well and made the investment not worth it.
@Aidan: Honestly it was only near the halfway point I vested any interest in pandora hearts, the first 4 volumes left me wondering if I'd drop it, then near the last few volumes I simply fell out of reading it.
Bokusenou
I feel like I'm one of the few people who don't understand why Re: Zero is so popular...the only characters I half liked were Puck & Crusch (the latter because she reminded me of Saber from the Fate series, minus the unnecessary perma-blush marks) My anime club screened the series and I really should have skipped those meetings...
Mmm Inuyashiki episode 2 tomorrow. Time to see where it goes
@Anon, That reminds me. Anime limited better announce the date of the Re:Zero Blu-ray release at that panel of theirs at MCM London Comic Con. They are the only ones known to have licensed it and they have a partnership with Funimation. Even if we don't get a second season I have to get the first on Blu-ray.
Emilia re:zero
Finally Got that review up. Been sitting in my to do list for a while.
I remeber in Dragon ball, they state that Son Goku takes 6 years of training to become a Super Saiyan. His oldest son takes 3 years and then the youngest one... only takes 3 months of training with his mother. So yeah...
While we are talking about manga, I was looking into getting some manga boxsets and I saw one for pandora hearts. However I started reading it and 15 chapters in I just can't get into it. I hear a lot of praise for it but is it really worth continuing?
@Amagi, yep. Like Naruto with the nine tailed beasts and Sharingan. At first they were cool and then everyone and their mother had Sharingan or a tailed Beast.
Though If I had a problem with SNK its that I just find the thing to be poorly written overall. It has creative idea's, but the characters and dialogue is really weak in my eyes.
You know that SuperSaiyan syndrome. At first it was special and mysterious, but once the second one gets to have the power they tend to pop up everywhere. Same with Claymore and basically almost every shounen ever.
I overall like the SNK manga but I have to agree I really have a problem with this shounen trope of some speciality one character has that suddently turn out to be the speciality of many.
It turned from a horror/thriller to a sort of... shounen mystery thing for me. I wasnt a fan once EVERYONE became titans.
@Lenlo, I dropped off at that point, picked it up again and read it up to date. Now I am falling out again. True be told I haven't really got into it since the beginning chapters and I am not a fan of the direction it took. If you don't like it now I say future chapters won't really change your mind.
Does Attack on Titan get better? I was reading it up until Season 2 came out and then just fell off the wagon.
oh what a cliffhanger in the Shingeki no Koyjin manga! I am happy where this is going!
I agree that the way the series addresses emotion has some interest to it.
The later chapters I read had some action in them.
Had a read of the children of the wales manga, I am glad to see a shoujo that isn't based on an otome or school life series , additionally I like it on an aesthetic level, I can see it going somewhere but the fast-forward pace makes it hakes it harder to connect with.
@Amagi: Blame! was recently adapted and thats cyberpunk, even if it didn't follow the manga.
@Kaiser: Agree. Cyber- and steampunk are two of the few settings I really dig. Especially because I think that there are a lot of potential plots and twists for cyberpunk/VR settings anime haven't used yet. AR is great too, the only series about that is Dennou Coil and it was made ~10 years ago. Maybe the SAO movie but it was just a movie.
@Aidan: Same here lol. I remember the toilet thingy but not the woman's backstory. That being said, I enjoyed the series as whole, though some parts were too K-ONish for my taste.
The idea of would agorophobia maintain itself and they'd stay inside or would the fear of being raped/tortured/killed and bypass the agorophobia ?
Random tangent, but I would find it fascinating to see a hikkikomori subject to a home invasion.
Although honestly, I would prefer a cyberpunk wave of anime series to get popular again.
silver
I too am starting to really enjoy the 'adventure anime' genre. The medium of animation is uniquely suited to fantastical worldbuilding.
@Mario, Was that the one where the girl is desperately trying not to piss herself? Also why can I remember that and not this blonde woman's backstory?
@Kaiser: yep, agreed. It's at its best when it can use the settings to flesh out the characters. The episode after that one, one the other hand, was Sora no woto's dullest episode - where the main girl spends the whole episode waiting for a freaking phone call.
@Mario: The Blonde woman's backstory in the middle of sora no oto, that was the best episode of it.
@Amagi: for reccomendation, if you don't mind another cute girls in a post-apocalyptic world show, you can try Sora no Woto (Sound of the sky). I love that show to bits
But I'm not entirely sold on the show yet. I feel the relationships are a tad too heavy-handed. The light hearted tones don't work well for me but I really feel a From the New world's vibe from the show
@Amagi: I will talk about Children of the Whales here in the chatbox since we don't cover it. Damnit the cliffhanger. That series really focuses on the theme of repress their own feelings. From the children in the Mud Whales with their custom of not to cry in the funeral or their lacing their hands to express their gratitude. Episode 2 has that monster who basically eats others emotions
And by extension, I would hope that it would encourage adaptations of older fantasy manga aswell.
I really hope this type of fantasy will become a new trend instead of the classical world of warcraft type of isekai
There is just something really atmospherical about a few characters exploring an unknown world alone that is either almost or entirely devoid of humans or just weird like in Kino's Journey.
Shuumatsu Shoujou, Houseki, Kino 2017 and Children of the Whales are shaping up to become my favorites this season. It's funny that they have so much in common, same with Made in Abyss, which also was my favorite of the last season.
@Kaiser, well there were fellows down in cork that decided to go Kite Surfing. They had to send out a boat to rescue the dumb bastards.
@Aidan: I saw that there were some profoundly stupid people ignoring the warnings, some guy even decided to go out swimming despite it.

Ballroom e Youkoso – 15/16 [Taking the Reins/Four-legged]

Boy, this was really a Tale of Two Ballrooms. One of these episodes was almost certainly outsourced, based on the visual inconsistencies that extended even to key poses, but handled its character moments dutifully. The other looked markedly better than most of this show’s recent offerings, but rushed through so much material that its conclusion […]

Houseki no Kuni – 03 [Metamorphose]

It just occurred to me since I watched Bakuman (the first season of it, anyways) fairly recently, but watching Bakuman made me realize how tough it is to have your manga publicize, let alone become a popular one. For those who have watched the anime or read the manga of Bakuman, remember the early Golden […]

Girls’ Last Tour – 03 [Streetlights]

Welp, I never would have thought Girls’ Last Tour can get any better, but this week’s episode is straight up phenomenal. Episode 3 manages to make some new tricks to its well-established formula: introduces another human survivor to the mix, askes a deeper philosophical question about the meaning of life in that stark world (and […]

Inuyashiki – 2 [Hiro Shishigami]

Woe be unto thee who passes further, for today we are talking about Episode 2 of Inuyashiki! A lot happened this week. New characters, dark twists and the start of what I can only imagine is the central conflict of the season. Lets jump in! First and foremost, we need to talk about Hiro Shishigami. […]

Juuni Taisen – 03 [Cutting a Chicken with a Beef Cleaver]

I’m starting to worry about Juuni Taisen. Like what we all predicted last week, this week indeed follows a reverse zodiac order. We have Chicken served as our main POV and at the end she’s the one who get sendoff (with no small help from the episode title. What a huge spoiler). Judge by the […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 15[Differing Paths]

It’s funny that only now, when we are well into the halfway point of the series that it takes some time to flesh out its cast. Sisgou has gotten some backstory, Fiore was fleshed out a little and even Gordes got some time to prove he’s not a complete caricature. The last one is something […]

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World- – 02[Colosseum]

In an odd turn of events, the second episode of Kino’s Journey 2017 is a retelling of a story done in the original 2003 version. Where Kino is forced to participate in deathmatches upon reaching a country. I find this choice odd as I would consider the Colosseum story in the original to be the […]

Dies Irae – 02[Twilight Girl]

There may be those of you who ask why I would cover this series despite it’s rather disastrous prequel episode. Even I will not be attempting to defend this adaption as I sorely believe it will be rather poor indeed. But when you truly think about it, isn’t it the case that I would be […]

Houseki no Kuni – 02 [Diamond]

Note: due to the fact that the whole cast of Houseki is agender and I DO care about the issue, I will address them either by their name or by gender neutral pronoun. But do forgive me if sometimes the old habit gets the better of me. You readers, on the other hand, can address […]

The Reflection Review – 45/100