Posted by psgels on 26 April 2009 with categories: Full Metal Alchemist - Brotherhood

Short Synopsis: The Shou Tucker arc, compressed into one episode.
Episode Rating: 7/10 (Enjoyable)
I’m amused at the people who are already disappointed by the new FMA series. I mean, it’s only been three episodes; what did you expect? The new series lacks the novelty of the original, and the series has mostly been simply building up. At the start of the season, did people expect the new Evangelion in only three episodes, or something?

Not that the new series is perfect and all, of course. The producers right now are trying to rush through the first few episodes a bit too badly, and hardly allow for any quiet moments right now, but at least these beginning episodes are a lot more easy to go through than the original series was. There were a few differences here and there, mostly involving Scar: this episode sees him kill off Basque Gran, right after he was introduced, and he kills off both Shou Tucker and his daughter. It’s good, since I never liked that guy anyway.

As for Basque Gran’s death, it was a shame he died so early. I remember his death in the original series as being one of the first memorable scenes, because it was so ironic: here the show was building him up as one of the major bad guys… and then he gets killed off so easily. But I do guess that it makes more sense this way: after all, Scar was a smart guy. Why the heck would he show his face in front of half a dozen officers. It’d be much harder for him to move around that way. Looking back, it was just another cheap trick to get Ed involved with the main storyline.

Strangely enough, this episode also showed that Scar has some sort of inside-knowledge of what’s going on inside the military. Otherwise he would never have known where Basque Gran would be, or where he could find Shou Tucker, right after he created his next chimera. At this point, I can’t remember whether or not the original series answered that question, though.

Normally I don’t mind when the creators of an anime insert their own stuff, insert fillers or go with a different storyline, but in the end it’s all going to depend on their ability to write a good storyline, which for the original FMA unfortunately didn’t go too well at certain times. The first thirteen episodes had their charms, definitely. The small scenes in which we see Scar, right before Ed arrives for the first time in Central City for example were a nice touch, as they showed how Scar was when he just received his arm (either that or my memory is deceiving me again and Brotherhood also had that scene… something must be wrong with either me or the series if I can’t remember a simple fact that happened two episodes ago…).

Anyway… it’s a shame that the fillers of Full Metal Alchemist were all just too formulaic, with dull characters and a predictable role for the two lead characters, with the only exception being the one with the dog and Armstrong’s family; that one was fun, granted. In the second half, the original material improved a lot, and the storyline was really competent, but at the same time it screwed up by trying too hard to make characters from the earlier episodes return, combined with a set of certain other characters that just got on my nerves. But I think that my biggest problem with the original series is that I could never really buy Ed and Al as the two lead characters. That’s why I appreciate Brotherhood’s attempts to make the two of them more likable.

1. Kim says:

You don’t even see Basque Gran get killed in the manga at all it is just mentioned and he himself is later shown in flashbacks. And on another note he is not a bad guy in the manga. ;)

The Scar arm thing should be in this version too but it comes later (it is a bit different in the manga storyline though)

But I really do like the Nina story. In the original manga it comes after Lior, Youswell and the train story where Ed & Al easily beat the bad guys. Nina was the first time we see that they can’t solve everything and they are very much still children. There is even a line that was unfortunately cut out: after Roy says the state alchemists are like devils Riza says “That is the logic of adults, Ed is still a child”. Another difference between this and the 1st anime is the Nina storyline happens when Ed is 12 in this series and the manga he is 15.

2. senerikfred says:

The manga, and I’m pretty sure Brotherhood as well, didn’t have Scar turn up until after he gets back from Lior, and around the Eastern HQ instead of in Central. Also, Scar’s main backstory happened back during the civil war in Ishbal, so there was a while there where he was probably just hiding/sulking in the Ishbal territory before he decided to use the arm to kill State Alchemists(he only started slightly before the time that the series is at now in the manga). And shit, I never realized just how easily he found people. I don’t think the manga ever answered that, either, unless he was just good at observing the military’s activities in the city without getting noticed-which he technically must be to stay in hiding so well, and is understandable since the military did go about exterminating his people for a while.

And I think getting confused about details is understandable when you’ve seen pretty much the same stories as these early episodes four times.

3. Kim says:

Oh as for how easily Scar finds the state alchemists you know I do not think that is mentioned specifically in the manga. I know state alchemists are well known by name even to the general public so I would guess that is how Scar gets information on them. I guess sometimes he also just gets lucky and runs into one as he roams the city. We see Scar’s successes not his failures basically.

On another note as for the pacing I actually think it was very good in this episode going by the flow of the manga. It was definitely rushed in episode 2 & 3. But in this episode they only adapted 1 chapter. In episode 2 & 3 they tried to adapt two chapters into 1 episode and it doesn’t work very well.

4. Patrick Monti says:

Well if people don’t like the new FMA is probably because it was new at the time and much darker than the new version. The new version is breaking the mood all the time with those stupid misplaced jokes. That’s my opinion of this new version at least. I seriously think they should have waited 5 to 10 years to make this, it’s too soon to make a new version of an anime like this.

5. K2 says:

The pacing is getting better. Feel like they’re starting to tell a story than summarizing them now, which is good.

I’d love to hear what you found more likeable about the Elric brothers this time around than the first version. I also thought their personality are very different. But hearing from you, who never read the manga, pointed out this fact in a few episode is interesting.

6. UmbrellaMan says:

It is hard for me to say at this point if I like this take better than the original. I haven’t read the manga, so I’m hoping that this story (as it develops) with be new to me. The only flaws that I’ve noticed (like Patrick said) are the jokes and the animation attached with them. I don’t mind humor in a serious story, but it shouldn’t be so blatant that it takes you out of the action and story. I find them to be jarring. I loved the original, and I hope that this series, if not an improvement, will at least be comparable to it. Only time will tell.

7. Windspirit says:

Well, it’s not because of the story that those who don’t like it… don’t. It’s because the director fucking sucks and the whole mood of the show has completely changed. I swear I felt like watching Bleach sometimes. There was humour in the manga too, but the dosage was much better (Arakawa has proven long time ago that she was a great storywriter).

8. edward says:

so far i think they are adapting the manga very well. starting with ep 2[origin story.] adapting chapters 23-24. ep 3 adapted chapters 1 and 2. and 4 skipped to chapter 5. cause chapters 3-4 were filler-ish. its almost adapted frame by frame with the manga.

so any criticism on the humor and jokes is none of the animators fault. its taken directly from the source. [the angles identical too] starting next ep the differences between the first anime and this one will start getting more apparent

9. senerikfred says:

It IS Brotherhood’s creators’ fault that the humor is so out of place. Arakawa set up the humor in a way that works well in a manga format, doing a direct insert of that into an anime doesn’t work nearly as well. Not coming up with a way that works better animated is just lazy.

10. minion says:

Agreed with Windspirit and others, the director completely ruined the sad, gloomy and gothic atmosphere Full Metal Alchemist had! Now, it feels like your generic shounen anime, like Bleach and Naruto! >:(

11. narkins says:

honestly I thought this episode was excellent. It stuck to the story line of the manga, though i don’t really get what people are complaining about with the jokes. Afteral there wasn’t a single short joke and the messing around with alexander and Nina is important as it gives the viewer an emotional attachment to them.

Honestly there have been pacing issues and in some of the earlier episodes the constant joke were a bit grating I agree but what were people expecting? Perfection is a a aim not a reality

12. Kim says:

I agree I might be able to understand the complaints about the jokes in the last two episodes (but I think the real issue with those was the pacing issue which did not allow enough time for the emotional scenes to sink in) but there were not that many jokes in this episode at all. I remember a few when Ed & Al were playing with Nina but that only contrasts well with what happens later. And the actual emotional scenes were not rushed at all.

Although I am nervous about the next episode because they are again adapting 2 chapters into one episode.

13. kagura says:

I’ll probably never understand people praising the previous FMA series. For me, a die-hard manga fan, it was terrible in so many ways, that I’m amazed I actually even managed to make it through all those 50 episodes, plus equally or even more terrible movie. The mentioned “sad, gloomy and gothic” atmosphere was, among other things, pretty much what ruined the first FMA for me.

The atmosphere of the current series is much more similar to manga (including all the “jokes” – they were actually taken straight from the manga, so I don’t understand where all that complaining comes from). Sure, I agree, the first episodes weren’t that great (there was a few things I’d have done differently), but I had more fun watching them, than I ever had watching the previous FMA. I’m sure that from now on it’ll only get better.

14. Loba says:

As much as I had bashed the second episode, I say this episode was pretty well done with the jokes added liberally at the right time unlike the first two episodes. I thought the scene where scar managed to kill off the general was lame. Do you ever find a general walking down the street alone? No way man. As for why scar was able to locate alchemists, just like any other kidnappers, he most likely camped, waited and striked those who bore the state alchemist watch(in this series, there are two kind of uniforms, dark blue and light blue to indicate the difference in rank).

The original anime indirectly shows that the alchemists who attacked ishbal were quite famous and well known, that’s probably how scar was able to recognise them with edward being the only exception due to him being famous because of his reputation.

As for this series…scar may have a insider like what you said or he could just be very adept at tracking down the households of alchemists. Brotherhood doesn’t have the scene of emo scar, he was justice reincarnate in this episode =)

I thought the writers were trying too hard in the first two episodes.

15. Kim says:

Like I said above State Alchemists are in general well known by name to the general public, even ones who did not take part in Ishval like Tucker. That being said some are more famous then others, Roy for the part he played in Ishval (which will be expanded on in this series) and Ed for being the youngest state alchemist for example.

Scar would know Tucker’s name and then he could easily find where he lives. It’s not like Tucker’s address would be a state secret. As for Scar arriving the same night as Nina it’s just a coincidence.

As for Gran walking by himself well the point is with his skill he doesn’t think he has anything to fear. State Alchemists are considered human weapons. The idea that Gran would not walk alone makes no sense. And even if word of Scar reached state alchemists well again at first they probably did not take the threat seriously. What could one man do against a state alchemist?

16. Mumei007 says:

At the risk of whipping a dead mule, I’ll say it again – the pacing sucks.

I’m pretty sure you’ve heard all this before but it really ruins the mood of the story. And I thought the Lior arc was done better in the first series. Well I can certainly sympathise with the creators who really need to get to the point where the first series diverged from the manga. Perhaps the pacing will then slow down a bit and Brotherhood can become a lot more bearable.

17. senerikfred says:

Agreed about the ‘sad, gloomy atmosphere’ being a flaw of the first anime. It was TOO emo, and Ed cried too much. The manga is indeed much more of a shounen, but it’s far from typical-the plot moves forward steadily, the humor is good and varying, the characters all get to develop and play a part, and while Ed has some overly-perfect qualities, Arakawa makes sure to point out often that he’s really not the strongest in the story or anything, and as with my last point, he certainly isn’t the one to do everything important. What’s so much better in the feel of the manga is that the characters do indeed get a lot of crap slung at them, but their world isn’t all bad, either, and they’re strong enough to overcome their misfortunes and fight to attain happiness.

In the words of Al in a recent chapter-“Why do I have to make a choice? Can’t I save the world, AND get my body back?” Ultimate happy end=best end, as proven in E7 and Princess Tutu. Sure there are still bittersweet aspects to the characters’ lives, but they can sure as hell achieve enough to be content.

18. Kim says:

@ senerikfred:

Wow you described what I love about the manga so perfectly. There were some things I enjoyed about the 1st anime but I feel it relied a bit too much on angst. If we can make people sad than we can forgo real character development.

But in the manga while there are sad moments the characters are constantly moving forward and not giving up. The manga is just so much more positive in its overall message and I prefer it in every way.

And as you said Ed is an important character but he is certainly not the only important character or the strongest. Every character in the manga has their moment to shine.

19. Mei says:

The dog scene and Armstrong’s family aren’t anime-only fillers. The manga artist of Fullmetal Alchemist draws some omake (funny short comic strips somewhat related to FMA) and/or side-stories at the end of every volume. Those two scenes were adapted straight from the omake and side-stories. Those and the miniskirt scene, and the Edward vs. Mustang fight. I wonder if those will still make it into the Brotherhood series.

20. ceillon says:

Funny, but I think that the manga feels flat compares to the anime and which I admit is typical of the shounen genre. And I don’t know how you can really say that the emotional quality of the original FMA was its flaw, it’s the opposite in fact. What actually separates FMA from the animes like Naruto and Bleach is the atmosphere. That characteristic of FMA actually helps it be distinguish from the multitude of shounen anime out there, which resulted to it’s success. The problem right now is that Brotherhood is showing signs of a completely forgettable series and and the reason for that is it’s lack of emotional impact on it’s audience. FMA was memorable because it was depressing, it was memorable because it was tragic, it was memorable because it was brutal, it was memorable because it was bloody and it was memorable because the ending was bittersweet.

21. Mumei007 says:

Is it just me or did Nina only call Edward onii-chan in the end? My friend was watching the subbed version on Animax and he asked me why the “chimera suddenly called Edward brother”.

22. Travis says:

there is nothing appealing to this new FMA series it sucks. there is no emotion and nothinng pulls me into it.

KT
Both Bahamut and RE:Creators had great episodes. But I was indeed mentally screaming Super Smash Bros at RE:Creators. You will get the point when you watch the episode.
Taken on it's own, Nisekoi is harmless. But it is undeniably proof that you need not be creative or innovative to succeed in the industry. In fact declaring creative bankruptcy could turn more fruitful than genuine effort.
And I said how can you decide you don't like something if you haven't read it?
Of course you are likely mean that if you don't like something then give up on reading it further which of course does not mean that someone cannot complain about it regardless.
Anonymous1198985
No, Im said if you dont like nisekoi dont read it
@Anon, How do you know you don't like it if you don't read it?
Anonymous1196967
Don't like it don't read it.
I went and read Double Arts. This really was a great manga with tons of potentail and truly didn't deserve the axe. It's so depressing that this was cut off so soon and the author went on to make the most generic Harem ever Nisekoi, and that got over 200 chapters.
All of the important dance scenes for Yuri were fantastic, its just some minor one off characters and some reused ones that were an issue, so no they are better than the CGI
Anonymous1190387
Is it worse than those CGI dance scenes in some anime?
@Puran, It is pretty surprising how well that story turns out. I say IG might do the job even if there animation isn't the most consistent. The one thing I am worried about is those necks though. In the PV those things were ridiculously long.
Puran
Fair enough, recycling the animation was bad, agreed. But the animation itself was really good.
See, I found the repeated dances in Yuri one of the worse parts. Alot of it was recycled animation and certain characters were obviously rushed/not done. Some were amazing, cause they took their time, but others looked terrible.
Puran
I kinda wish Mappa was doing the anime though. Yuri on Ice had really nicely animated dances (and was more or less the only actually good quality of that show :P )
Puran
Reading the Ballroom e Youkoso manga has made me really excited about the Anime.
Kaiser_Eoghan
@Aidan: I'm particularly turned off by bully/bullying cliches these days. I've only read the first two volumes to see how awful she was but I ended up simply losing track of the series and stopped reading.
Kaiser_Eoghan
@Mario: Actually that has changed, I had to pick a different day to see it given changes in schedule, I've booked it for NEXT Wednesday now. I've watched Akira about four times.
Oh, Rising of the Shield Hero is getting an anime adaption. Hmmm...honestly after finishing the series and looking over it as a whole I am not sure I even want that. Plus seeing Bitch Animated...would fill me with rage.
I intend to re-watch Akira soon, probably this weekend. It has been almost 10 years since my first watch and now I don't remember much about that one. Thought it was intriguing and complex but not as acclaimed as people hyped it to be (I'll pick Ghost in the Shell anytime). Wonder how I'd feel now after re-watching it.
@Kaiser: I remember you mentioned that you were going to watch In this Corner of the World today right? How was the movie Kaiser?
Oh cool, food wars is getting a 3rd season
Ballroom youkoso appears to be leading the polls.
@Mario: Fumiko is a female mangaka yes. Also I found bokura no hentai worth reading.
yep, I finished that manga too and I have conflicted feeling about it. Yuri(!) part and fanservice are to blatant but they have a purpose. This mangaka (not sure but I think she's a girl) has some unique voice.
....well I skimmed that manga. And it was weird
By all appearances,Sakura is normal,albeit sheltered junior high school girl who enjoy talking about love and walking home from school together.However,they also happen to inhabit a strange and supernatural world populated by mysterious,gigantic beings and unusual plant and animal life.Amid their peaceful lives,Sakura becomes very interested in something only alluded to exist in old books: dicks
Here's a synopsis of other manga from the same author, I think you'll have a better idea of his theme -
Sakura no Sono
Pretty much what Masky said. I am not really praising it. Anyway I plan to read one or two more chapters to see where it's going. But if it's going in the direction I think it's going then I am dropping this one fast.
Kaiser_Eoghan
There is of course the underlying concern that it will go a very ugly route with that development or it could become edgy/horribly minipulative, but for now it is as mario said, a hook.
Well. overall I don't dislike what I read there. It has good hook and I'm intrigued to know more what the hell will happen. Good set-up for me. I'm in
@Masky: it's fine Masky, since I will chec itk out any way and see it for myself ^^
So since you guys started being interested, I checked it out and uh.. Yeah, not reading. I think ye guys misunderstood Aidans warnings since that was just fucked up and not in the interesting way.
@Aidan: Berserk will never again go more than 3-4 months without a hiatus.
Hmmm, that manga Cutie Mutie sounds good to me. I might check it out later today
@Aidan: But had you not alluded to that scene, I may have seen the cover of that manga and skipped over it.
@Aidan: I had a feeling, sort of, sad, I am intrigued to read more.
Hyping and warning are not the same thing.
Well with Aidan hyping up the horrors of cutie mutie I may as well glance at it to see what he' on about.
There are three manga with the name rec.
I am familiar with the artist for cutie mutie, she did that manga about the three kids dealing with gender/orientation issues.
Oh look Berserk is on Haitus again....
.....the sad thing is that it comes as expected now.
For reference the two I read were Cutie Mutie and Rec. Be warned, the first one goes to a rather uncomfortable level.
@Masky, Read two manga. One started lighthearted and then went to really dark territory. The other one looks like it's about a really dark subject but turned out to be something more lighthearted.
@Mario, Alright. Tested it now so it such be fixed. Try again.
@Aidan: Huh? What you read that turned dark/didn't turn dark? .-.
"too many answers selected for question 1! only 3 answers allowed!"
@Aidan: I still have the same issues. Weird
@Mario, Wasn't my intent. Try it now and you should be able to pick as many as you want.
@Aidan: I'm not allowed to vote more than 3 votes. Is it your intention Aidan?
Well that was weird. I read something that looked innocent but turned out to be really dark. Then something that looked really dark only to become innocent.
Yeah, nothing that interests me I see :D Like my strongest reaction to season preview was "Someone made isekai with smartphone? Really? REALLY? Thats best idea you had"
Ah Knighs and Magic, found that manga. It was boring enough for me to forget its name. Also besides being boring, I kinda find MC unlikeable since their only personality is that they like mechas and were a programmer before renicarnating as short bishie kid
Woo, time to vote stuff
@Kaiser: that movie In this Corner just getting more and more acclaimed huh? Thou I think it'a a type of movie that if you have high expectation for it you will likely be disappointed. It works best as a sleeper hit
As for cute monster girls, most of the time I don't find them cute at all. I know I'm being racist, but...
@Lenlo: I'm guilty with that cute girls genre, as i enjoyed K-On tremedously for example. Or If I have more time I'd follow Hinako Note this season ^^
They don't always adapt all that well or work as well outside of manga format, especially 4-komas.
*three
The only two of any interest were hidamari sketch, azumanga daioh and yuru yuri and that was largely down to being in the mood for them a few years ago.
@Mario: Personally, I have 0 interest in this Monster girls doing cute things subgenre, just like I have very little interest in the cute girls doing cute things major genre.
@Mario: As it turns out I DID read in this corner of the world. I'll also be seeing it next thursday.
@Kaiser: at this moment I'm very skeptical with the whole Monster girls doing cute girl subgenre, so I'm approachig Centaur with a caution. Of course, it all depends on how I feel after the first episode
@Kaiser: Happy End isn't as bleak aa his other works. But it's certainly Hanake's films, as it explores many of his favorite themes: the voyeurist of camera in his Benny's video, the detachment to the world and the underlying violence. Not his best thou but it's still very good
I think I'd be up for watching jigoku shojo, its been a long time since I watched the original two seasons and this one won't be as long, so it won't get as repetitive.
I voted centaur no nanami on the poll, think Mario could cover it.
@Mario: How did did you get on with Happy end? I heard its like a mix of his best works. Is it as dark and depressing?
I have vague memories of in the corner of the worlds manga, unless I'm mixing it up with something else.
Some news, Lu Over the Wall won the best prize at this year's Annecy (the 1st anime won the award since 1995's Pom Poko), with In the Corner of the World took the Jury Prize. Quite a good showing for anime this year.
@Anon, Hello.
Really, still no vote for Kakegurui?? I thought it would take the top poll for sure
That 18if, even the poster doesn't make much sense, but it looks dazzling ^^
go-go licensed products!
@Lenlo: and Madhouse is the studio behind that Marvel rip-off. Are they really going that low for profits?
Lookin forward to Kakeguri next season, but thats the only thing thats really caught my eye
Well, you have to watch Marvel next season right?
And done. I swear these previews take a lot out of me.
Almost done....almost done...
KT
Attack of Titan, ended ok. But man the production values had gone down.

Virgin Soul had a okish episde

Re:Creators continues to rock for me.
@Mario: I liked the 70s version ending, it was mean spirited =P
@Mario: The original used its one room location quite well and dim lighting in parts, very closed in/claustrophobic.
@Kaiser: just finished the Beguiled and it was much better than I expected. Like, I didn't expect it to be that well shot. The guy was put in a passive role than active here, which help the theme imo. Also, the ending admitedly isn't for everyone but I liked it just fine
@Kaiser: using a black girl? The girls in this one are all white :(
Sato in Re:Creators isn't doing himself any favors is he? Honestly the more I learn about him, the less likable he becomes.
It was a good film though, one of scarjos better moments.
@Mario: As for Sofia, I'm only familiar with lost in translation, which I haven't seen since it originally came out.
@Mario: Everyone goes on about Francis' for the Godfather, the conversation is massively underated and apocalypse now is better, but it has to be the theatrical cut.
@Mario: I guess it was probably seen as progressive in its day by way of using the black girl.
@Mario: Very very cynically 70s of course.
@Mario: Actually just happened to finish it there, I felt it stood out for its somewhat successful gothic feel and aesthetic and Eastwood's performance which shows how well he can command the audiences attention even when he isn't shooting people. Kind of liked how it got slightly grisly later on. It makes a small effort in giving one line backstories .
@Kaiser: the original movie isn't that well-received. It's more like an exotica film where the main guy (Clint Eastwood) hooks up girls of all ages. This one I heard has a good spin on feminist angle. I'm sure is intrigued but Sofia Coppola's filmography has been mixed for me
....I doubt any one has ever heard of this....I know I didn't, I haven't read it either but I came across some weird old Blacksploitation manga, probably from the 90s, Blast knuckle or something...
@Mario: Still remaking the beguiled might be good, we need more modern westerns.
@Mario: I suppose I can busy myself with the original 70s version of beguiled. At the moment I've been focusing on old Japanese films, they had such a good film industry, it makes it hurt so much more now knowing that all they do now is shit live action adaptations.
@Kaiser: gonna be a long day for me with the screenings of The Beguiled, Wind River, The Other Side of Hope and Happy End
Now I need to re-watch 08th ms team.
I watched 4 hours straight of Gundam the origin, hit me with a hard punch of nostalgia, actually seeing his backstory rather than hearing about it is a good thing, I enjoyed the action scenes, it was high-melodrama but well used and more Char is always a good thing.
I think I'll just put Kado on hold for now and see whats being said about future episodes of it, I'm too unsure of it being worth it or not at the moment.
I want to comment on a humble indie game called Sakuna of Rice and Ruin. Is a simple hack and slash similar to Muramasa and Dust: Elysian Trail. The game has a scarf mechanic that is very fun to use to evade attacks and throwing stuff. It kind of reminded me of those Mickey games from the Snes and the visuals reminded me of Pocky and Rocky. Its a game to play on a sunday, simple, fun and relaxing.
From the stuff I played Dragon Ball FigtherZ seems legit at capturing the speed of the battle and feel of the action.
Back from E3. Nintendo is still my main jam. The Rabbids game seems better than I think anyone could imagine. Odyssey seems like a good time. Xenoblade and Metroid 2 remake look like hype.
KT
On Gundam OG, the new Origin Manga, and the movies based on it are very good. Recommended.
I remember reading the first chapter of that manga, but it was a long time ago and the updates were slow.
A manga about Ballroom dancing? Yeah there's no way I am into this.
(Starts reading)
(Reads ten chapters)
Crap...I am into this.
Feel I need to re-visit gundam again through 08th MS team, unicorn and Origin as I'd enjoyed the 70s series, its sequel and chars counterattack. Seed turned me off the franchise for ridiculously long and 00s movie and second season wern't as good as the first .
Looks like I have another Yuasa work to look forward to, he's doing his own take off on Nagai's devilman , hopefully he can reign in Valvraves writer though.
*first manga in couple last weeks I've seen
Da fuq. Found manga called Kemono Jihen, but it somehow already has tv tropes page(I tend to check randomly whether works have tv tropes page to see how notable they are) O_o I mean this is first manga with 1-3 chapters that has that, so I guess author is really popular or something in some circles?
Huh. Guess they figured out rewriting a story for Re:Creators.
Ya know, even if i hadn't heard that Suka Suka is based on one of more tragic light novels, the death flags, all of the death flags :D
HelghastKillzone
I'm a patron of someone who is writing mass effect fanfiction at 2 million+ words. It combines games, writing and fan creativity. So there is that....
Ah, while I listened to some Lovecraft audiobooked, I felt as if I was copping out by listening instead of reading.
A horror manga often works well episodically in a short story format.
@Aidan: Had a flick through Shibito, of what I read I liked how ridiculously camp and gleefully, proudfully nutso it was combined with the silliness of the violence. While not my favourite chapter, the one about the actress stood out for me because she was clearly a reference to Setsuko Hara, one of Japans most famous actresses lol
I try out a number of things from time to time. Books, movies, music, comics and the like. But I always come back to anime.
I have dabbled in quite a few mediums myself. My recent experiment is audiobooks which I am currently using to get through Moby Dick. And Jesus H Christ is this book padded to hell and back. It may be well written but it is an awful story.
But what this film venture has shown me is that while I've gotten much out of it, it shows just how STRONGER the connection I have to anime/manga is.
@Mario: And definately, I don't get the "people focus on only one media thing". One of the reasons I started branching out was because I felt "Fuck, I'm in my 30s and I've neglected a whole medium by being too focused on cartoons"
The sign you're at something too long is when the suspense of waiting for the next part to come out isn't there or when you find yourself not picking up on whats going on!
Manga/visual novels/anime I've noticed especially now are much much easier to stay awake during when you're wrecked tired.
@Mario: And to be honest, I've gotten busier and more tired lately, getting home on a weekday later after a new job, I'm not alert enough to watch art films, just started leaving them till the weekend.
@Kaiser: I know exactly what you mean. That is one of the reason why I like to mix up what I watch: sometimes books, other time manga and even music to get me away from burning out from 1 medium
*eventually get back
The short of that is, I think a good scale back with ANY hobby is a good thing because it can feel special all over again when you get back on it more mainly.
But now that after three years of mainly focusing on films moreso than anime/manga as much, because I'm now incredibly burnt out from watching films 4 times a day, I feel now I can watch ANY anime or read any manga and get that fresh feeling/some of that old passion back.
Remember that feeling you got when you first really got into anime/manga and pretty much excitedly/panic watched EVERYTHING and almost everything felt great? I've been thinking how a few years back now, I sort of re-lived that feeling again...however for films.
(Finished watching SukaSuka 10)
Awwww...that was a sweet episode end....
.....
.....They are all gonna die.
@Aidan: Kids off school pressumably in Japan with more time to watch stuff and more shows.
God why is there so many anime during the summer season.
Of course there are the really obvious recommendations of Grand Blue and Kaguya wants to be confessed to.
I say the only other recommendations I got are Jagaaaaaan, Maou no Hisho, Ore wo Suki Nano wa Omae Dake ka yo and Yuuutsu-kun to Succubus-san. Though I still think Shibito no Koe o Kiku ga Yoi would be up your alley.
By all means keep posting random manga you've all come across, I will read them.
I thought route end did a good job on the protagonist's feelings regarding his mothers death.
Though my interest in Route is largely due to it was the most lurid of the selection.
I felt route end holds the most interest of that selection of recommendations, although before reading it I thought it would be an episodic manga, similar to a series called death sweeper.
@K-Off, well I think both the manga got handed down to the assistant, and the anime got handed down as well. The original author/director for both arnt working on Boruto
@Lenlo Probably, haven't checked. But the manga and anime are completely different so I don't know.
The Streisand effect in full force.
*Now the media...
No the media storms over it and eventually want to check out this film. It has gain more publicity after this shameless incident
oh god, really? Chinese government tried their best to force Annecy (Animation film Fest) to remove a Chinese animated film name Have A Nice Day from screening there because of its "sensitive content"
Still think Sawano needs to lay off the vocals. It can get really distracting in Re:Creators.
KT
oh my the RE:Creators OST is all I wanted.
Well, Boruto isnt being run by the original manga author is it? I thought he handed the series off after Naruto to his chief assistant.
The contrast between wanting to do something different yet using the same character traits is just too jarring.
Gave Boruto a shot, and while it isn't bad, it's so detached from the original series that it might as well have been unrelated. I appreciate that the plot is different, but the modern setting, and lack of any clear character motivations (for now) makes it such a chore to watch. If they were going for something different, why did they use the same character designs and archetypes?
Sorry guys for the delay of Eccentric Family post, just can't bring myself to finish the post. Not that many of you following the show but Yeah, I will plget it done later today. Also, hell yeah for Pluto. Urasawa is my God
@Aidan: I kinda imagine Isekai Shokudou would be like Time of Eve upon reading the synopsis. Like each week about some peculiar customers. Well, if they focus more on food, then... *heartbroken*

ID-0 – 11 [Innocent Orbit]

I must say, despite my current worry from the direction ID-0 is heading towards the climax, we have another solid episode in our hands. Here’s one of the thing ID-0 continues to prove itself to be quite adept of: their pacing never drags. All the events progress gradually, and there aren’t many unnecessary scenes, if […]

Sakura Quest – 12 [The Dawn Guild]

Sakura Quest offers a pretty much Sakura Quest-esque this week, and I come to believe that this is a strong mini-arc to close-up the first half of its run. For the Tourism Board, the Manoyama Founding Festival will become their most ambitious project in term of scope they have encountered so far. Moreover, documenting the […]

Seikaisuru Kado – 10[Towanosakiwa]

So despite my aggravation with how the last episode ended, this episode starts of strong with how the universe was created and the anisotropic beings watching over it. The whole sequence was great and beautifully alien. That half of the episode explaining how Saraka ended up on end was actually very strong and despite the […]

Uchoten Kazoku 2 – 11 [The Blood of the Tengu, the Blood of the Fool]

The Eccentric Family again takes some solid steps to its final showdown. But let me address this first because I’m sure no one really see it coming. Soun comes back to life. A fake-out death? Seriously? Using fake-out death ALWAYS comes with a price, which is all the emotional investment we had for the death […]

Re:Creators – 11 [The Monster Under the Eaves]

Not surprising that this was a more subdued episode since the events of last week landed two and a half creations in the hospital. Given their bed-ridden state, Re:Creators takes it time in developing some new deep and profound ideas about creating works and resolves the quagmire that Sōta finds himself in the last few […]

Little Witch Academia – 24[The Road to Arcturus]

Hmmm….mixed feelings. There are parts I like about this episode but then there is this underwhelming feeling over how things have turned out. In general I like that the epicly named world reconstruction magic turned out to be just a stick that performs party tricks. Thinking about it it’s likely the decline of magic is […]

Shingeki no Kyojin(Attack on Titan) – 37[Scream]

I was all geared up to write up a post that this season of attack on Titan was mere lip service for a third season that may never come when I seen that there is indeed a third season of Attack on Titan on the way next year. So I could voice those same complaints […]

Tsuki ga Kirei – 10 [The Setting Sun]

Kotarou and Akane have reached a stage where they need to think hard about the long term of their relationship. Akane is about to move town, so how they going to keep up their relationship? Usually for a teenager’s romance it means the end. Full stop. LINE and texting can keep them for a while […]

Sakura Quest – 11 [The Forgotten Requiem]

Well, apart from Ririko suddenly can sing confidently, and sings really well on top of that, this episode ends in high note. In fact, that statement really sum up this week of Sakura Quest as a whole. Messy, a bit all over the place with too many elements, but they have very strong ending that […]

Window Horses (2016) Movie Review – 87/100

Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon (Winter 2017) Review – 74/100

Scum’s Wish (Winter 2017) Review – 80/100

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Review – 90/100

When you have watched a large amount of anime you can come to assume that you have learned a lot about Japanese culture. Though I think it’s testament to how limited it is to view Japan through anime when you come to realize that despite watching so much, you have never heard of Rakugo. Rakugo […]

Youjo Senki Saga of Tanya the Evil Review – 80/100

Isekai stories have become somewhat of a tiresome genre as of late. There have been many stories of people being transported/reincarnated into other worlds where they shed their once pitiful exterior and become some legendary figure in another world. In most cases it’s trit, balant childish wish fulfilment and the stories often become tiresome when […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. (Winter 2017) Review – 83/100

Imagine my utmost amazement when a show that I wasn’t that confident on taking in the beginning turned out to be one of the most solid offering this season had to offer. ACCA is the most recent anime adaptation from mangaka Natsume Omo, which despite isn’t a household name, many of her works (6 titles […]

Demi-chan wa Kataritai (Winter 2017) Review – 62/100

Demi-chan is one of the newest addition to the monster girl subgenre, which usually feature a human helpless male lead get stuck in a harem of mythical creatures, in form of oversized boob girls of course (why usually those monsters are in female forms anyways? Aren’t they sexless?). In this case, we have monster girls […]

Seiren (Winter 2017) Review – 51/100

Let me say this out front, Seiren is NOT a good show, it’s a highly uneven one. Throughout its run, I can see some solid moments and fresh ideas that could potentially raise it above the bar, but ultimately, view it as a whole, Seiren is a show that isn’t worth recommending. At first, I’m […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100