Posted by psgels on 4 July 2009 with categories: Canaan, Some Quick First Impressions

Element Hunters

Short Synopsis: Our lead characters travel to another world and hunt monsters.
Chance of me Blogging: 0% (Nope)
Well, so finally we have a bad series again. Element Hunters is an attempt to bring back the parallel world children’s adventures genre (like Digimon, Flint the Time Detective and others), but in the end it’s just lazy and uninspired. Basically we have a bunch of kids who travel to some parallel world with chemical element themes, but the reason why they end up there is virtually non-existent: from out of nowhere, they just run into a gate that transports them, and from out of nowhere they just start fighting some weird monsters like they’ve been doing since they were three. While I admit that the characters have their charms and nice voice actors, but that’s also the only thing that’s inspired about this episode. Also, for a series about chemistry this episode also showed that the creators know absolutely nothing of their subject: this episode was about nitrogen, and instead of discussing its practical uses, or the fact that 80% of the air we breathe consists of it, the only thing it can think of is some weird nitroglycerin flowers. I mean, seriously? This series is in every single way inferior to that other science show that’s currently airing (Marie & Gali).

Canaan

Short Synopsis: Our lead characters kills a bunch of people during a big festival
Chance of me Blogging: 70% (Choosing the shows to blog this season is going to be HELL)
As if this season didn’t already have enough awesome shows: here’s the next one. It’s awesome to see P.A. Works back with their next series, and it shows. This episode had by far the best animation of the season so far. But that’s not what I’m excited about. What really set this series apart was how well it portrayed such a big festival, in which so many things were happening at the same time. The creators didn’t just tell a story, but they also brought the entire festival alive during this episode. Everything and everyone was moving and there was always something going on, from random people having fun to people shooting each other and others going insane and poking their own eyes out. There were so many details stuffed into just this episode, it’s really amazing and it’s going to be awesome if the rest of the climaxes of this series are going to be the same thing. This series has now already shown that it can deliver a great action scene. Now all that’s left is to develop the plot and characters.

Zan Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei

Short Synopsis: Our lead character is in despair.
Chance of me Blogging: 0% (haven’t blogged the first two seasons, ain’t gonna blog it this time either)
And so, the third installment of Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei has started. I do have to say that the creators are going to have to put in some real effort to prevent this from turning into one of those franchises that refuses to bloody DIE. The original premise went past its expiration date halfway through the second season, and with this season the creators are really going to have to do more than just repeat the same formula over and over yet again. This episode was… decent. It wasn’t good nor bad, it had some amusing moments, but I really fear that I’m going to get tired of the series in no time if it doesn’t get more interesting.

1. Denizen says:

CANAAN really was one of the most impressive shows of Summer so far, i’m certainly looking forward to more of it.

2. BlueYoshi says:

Surprise surprise, I might actually have some time to watch Canaan this season. It’s one of the few shows I’ve been looking forward to watch this year.

3. mulligan says:

canaan & bakemonogatari are my favs so far, hopefully there are more to come

4. TJ says:

Out of the four series premieres I watched for this season, Canaan was the most impressive. Interesting story, fast-paced action, good animation. Thumbs up.

5. tealovertoma says:

This is where we differ; IMO Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is one of the most clever anime comedy series ever. The characters do the exact opposite of what they do in every other anime (although, yes, this being the 3rd season means you can kinda expect what they do). This saved Japan’s reputation of having (generally) crappy sense of humour in my opinion. Clever, cynical, crazy and pretty dark at times.

Canaan sounds better than I thought it would be from the trailer (it looked so-so) but I was planning to check it out when it’s subbed anyway.

6. tealovertoma says:

I also find it funny that you criticize Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei for having the same formula (almost) every episode… yet you absolutely adore Jigoku Shoujo? It *really* took me a lot of effort to get through 2 seasons of that for me.

7. Nomus says:

We’ll have to live with Zetsubou-Sensei till the end of japanese animation.) And it’s not bad. As you know, Shinbo can do something very different. But here, it’s not the purpose to make charecters alive or deep. This show is social satirical comedy, it makes fun of human complexes, stereotypes etc. It’s like “The Adventures of Asterix” in France, where characters are not developing much either, they are just making fun of real life. So, better not expect not much changes, but much seasons to come.)

8. psgels psgels says:

toma: the reason why I liked Jigoku Shoujo despite its repetitiveness is that it does evolve: I liked the overarching storyline and strong characters, unlike SZS. I admit that the series was really good in its first season, when the characters and social commentary were still fresh, but I’ve just gotten tired of it by now.

9. AnimeNerdz says:

“Short Synopsis: Our lead character is in despair.” lol xD so true..hated the first season, so didn’t quite bother watching the second

too bad EH is disappointing..sounded promising

10. PL says:

canaan had probably some of the coolest art I’ve seen animated. And the premise so far is pretty intriguiging. I’ll definitely be watching it. I’m a synesthete (mostly sounds to colors or textures, but sometimes other senses) so it’ll be interesting to see their spin on it. And the action was pretty badass.

11. PL says:

does canaan have the budget to keep this level of quality up for 26 eps? Or will it become inconsistent after the first couple of eps like shangri-la and guin saga?

12. windy says:

I think it was obvious what the most spectacular series would be: of course ” CANAAN” and ” Umineko no naku koro ni”. I was eagerly expecting them, so glad they’ve finally start airing! And maybe it’s a good thing that the summer season series are not as good as the spring season series were, first because it proves that good series don’t hide behind each bench and secondly because the high number of the amazing shows that started airing then are still at the middle so it would be too much at once, so I suppose next season there will be more of good ones, but just looking at the preview anime board and the description below the only good series will be those ,for clear reasons, that is. And also the second season of ” Spice and Wolf” for those who enjoyed the first like I did.

13. Schmetterling says:

Canaan is totally in my book now.

Never tried SZS, not enough time :p

14. tealovertoma says:

Canaan was great, it really was. The festival looked amazing, so did the fights, everything had a nice fast pace and if I had to compare it to one anime right now, it would be Baccano. Lots of characters introduced right from the start, they’re all crossing paths which reveal their backstories and you’re kinda put in the middle of a story.
    Also, killer girls. Yay.

Although it’s on top of my list along with Aoi Hana (mostly cause Bakemonogatari isn’t subbed yet), I do have to note a few things where it could go wrong:

– Character design isn’t anything special. Thankfully they’re already sorta making their personalities clear in the first episode, but character design isn’t quite up there with the likes of Darker Than Black or the aforementioned Baccano!

– Storyline. It’s wrapped in mystery right now and it could either turn out to be really good… or become yet another cliche storyline about syndicats and organisations struggling for power or even worse, world domination.

I have no doubts about this being good, but these are a few things that separate the good anime from the masterpieces.

15. Schmetterling says:

I actually got interested in Canaan because of the main char, Canaa. She’s just cool xD

Sorry, totally avoid Aoi no Hana, yuri and yaoi are the scariest things after harem and hentai :p

16. tealovertoma says:

I do like the characters in it (again, killer girls, yay) – there’s a reason I can compare it to baccano, but I guess I just still need to get used to the design. Thought Reiji in Phantom was also the most generic design ever but quite got to like him.

As for Aoi Hana, it’s just a slice of life serie so far, and it’s not going to turn into a yuri any time soon. I realise the basic premise of it is shoujo-ai, but so far it’s very subtle and beautifully done. I wouldn’t count on the show ever getting ecchi, it just shows a relationship in the same way Bokura Ga Ita, His & Her Circumanstances and Lovely Complex do.
    So unless the basic premise of a girl liking another girl is something you don’t want to see I’d still recommend having a look.

17. AKI says:

Thought it was just me but Canaan really felt like Baccano meets Black Lagoon. Spectacular in one word. The festival was amazing – really feels alive. Heck, right now I’m running out of adjectives to describe each show. You’re right psgels, PA Works is really turning out to be a studio to watch out for. That award you gave to them last year did not go to waste. Let’s just hope that the successive episodes will continuously deliver.

18. specracer says:

Wow that scene in Canaan where she’s spinning down the pole while killing those guys ranks up there with the 1st episode of Noir where Kirika does that revers hangman

Canaan fells like Noir mixed with Kara no Kyoukai

19. PL says:

^ I was thinking Madlax, so if you thought Noir, I guess there might be something there…not just the girls with guns, but something about the sense of ordered chaos, and the general narrative style

20. DangerMouse says:

Cannan was an incredible start.

“canaan had probably some of the coolest art I’ve seen animated.”

I totally agree, the gorgeous art, fantastically drawn sharp character design work (Apharmd so reminds me of Revy’s design even with some differences), and the color work is marvelous.

21. dark-kyon says:

is for analysis how makes to sayonara setzuboi sensei what your loses much credibility.your only see the “defect” and not see the “virtues”.
    well i keep see this blog to laugh of the phrases what i found.
    i only can laugh to read what saki is a good show but the voice of yuuki is…
    wtf your dislike to much a rie kugimiya,to say that.please be serius.

22. Tracer says:

I don’t really understand your complaint on SZS in that it has no “character development”. That doesn’t make much sense to me to be honest since one of SZS’s primary means of comedy is by using the character’s one dimensional/wacky personality. I mean, they stress this point fairly well since just about each episode is about introducing a topic and seeing the different reactions based on their quirky personality.

Why would character development even be necessary? Do you think the anime would be more interesting if Nozomu turned into a loving teacher or less suicidal or some other nonsense?

I can understand that you might be of the opinion that well developed characters are needed to make a show good but I don’t see why you would limit the quality of something based on one particular aspect which need not necessarily be the best thing for every anime.

23. PL says:

I think he’s just saying that sense the characters dont grow, the show’s humor has gotten stale for him, because it means the show can’t really evolve. It’s kind of like “family guy”…I’ve been a huge fan, but because the show is similarly built around the family’s quirky personalities, after a while, the jokes all start to seem the same. I find myself laughing at it less and less with each season. I’m not comparing the two, just trying to explain it as I see it. Some people may find this semi-repetitive sense of humor to their tastes, and doubtless will watch the show until its canceled. Other people won’t. For me, this has been the error of most American animated comedies and/or sitcoms, the characters grow little, the running jokes get old, and the show gets stale. The Simpsons, South Park, even Seinfeld. After a while, I find I’m just watching the show out of habit, not because it really makes me laugh out loud anymore.

24. psgels psgels says:

Tracer: the lack of character-development indeed isn’t my main problem with SZS. The thing just is, that it’s stopped being funny and it became tiring to watch. And for that, I blame the lack of character-development, which would have been able to prevent this.

25. Tracer says:

Oh okay. My mistake then.

I was under the impression that you disliked SZS solely because it lacked character development.

I guess I can understand your reason.

26. AKI says:

I just watched ElementHunters and was mildly amused. It was not really that half-bad. I might check the second ep and decide whether to continue watching or not. The level of Japanese was understandable and the premise of collecting chemical elements like Pokemon sounded fun.

Hmm… about SZS, the comedy stopped being funny during the second season. I just checked the few minutes of the episode and I could not fathom anything they were talking about (what’s with that long beard from Ichi) so I guess I’ll just wait for it to get subbed before I lay my judgment.

As for Canaan, well I already said what I think about it and I can see it now sitting on top of the summer season.

27. TimeMask says:

Canaan is a great anime but the ending dragged on a bit, the ending seems to set the stage for a 2nd season with Canaan learning of a “one armed women”.

The Jim Carrey movies.
Dorei-ku seems like a Kakegurui. You see one episode you've seen all. It'll be better if it was crazier like Mirai Nikki. Mind control IMO could be a very creepy setup if it's watched through the perspective of the victim rather than the perpetrator. Losing notion or reality and control. Could liar liar and Yes man be considered mind controlled stories?
Ore Mahou Shoujo, baffles me, since I had to skip another long musical off key number, which makes me wonder where the budget cut starts and where the trolling begins. Also makes me sad, there aren't a lot of female to male transformations since it'll be interesting watching that perspective. Maybe a love triangle from both genders could apply since females are more accepted to be bi, in media.
Megalobox could be something really special, but I hope like with Ashita no Joe, the anime isn't solely boxing. Joe, had social commentary, had a personal struggle do to the protagonist origin, attitude and view of life, since he started very immature and rebellious.
Megalo Box, Tiramisu (I find this genuinely funny), S;0, GGO which is so much better than SAO, Wotaku, Hinamatsuri, Cutie Honey, LotGH, Hisone to Masotan and so on
I really love this season as well.
Also personally I am enjoying this current season a alot. But I also know/like a good bit of the reboots/sequels
Oh man... 2015 winter was good. Forgot thats when those came out
Anonymous2028818
@SuperMario: Wasn't that Natsume season 5?, pretty sure season 4 was several years earlier.
Another strong anime season for me was 2015 Winter, where we had YuriKuma Arashi, Maria the Virgin Witch, Death Parade, Durarara whatever season, second cour of Shirobako, Parasyte and Your Lie in April
Even so, with this season I'm still willing to give some shows another chance, like Caligula or Cutie Honey Universe(!)
For me, the best season in recent years was Fall 2016 when we had Flip Flappers, Sound Eupho 2, Yuri on Ice, Natsume 4, Fune wo Amu, Drifters and 3-gatsu no Lion. But I know that Aidan would disagree with me on this
@anon2028201: it's me who said this season is a mixed bag. It's like you said, this season is too heavily on sequels/ reboots and only some new anime stand out, the rest of the pack is just meh.
Anonymous2028201
To me this seems like a pretty good seasons, but judging some of the impressions, it's a bit more of a mixed bag for most. Just curious, what were the best seasons for recent anime? This one seems good to me, but to early to tell right now
Anonymous2028201
Lovin this season so far: a lot of reboots/reimaginings and sequels, but I'm enjoying them all. MHA S3, LOGH DNT, S;G 0, Megalobox, Golden Kamuy are what I'm watching right now. I hear Full Metal Panic is good as well, but I haven't gotten around to watching the original series.
Anonymous2028258
so i just recently rewatched fullmetal panic fumoffu and i gotta say that this is easily one of Kyo ani's best works. It's such a surprise that this was their first anime; it's a damn good romance comedy
@Anon: Lol I love B-movie type stuff, because the rules are off.
I was the only person who watched Mazinkaiser skl and shin mazinger and skullman.
Anonymous2026379
@Kaiser Takeshi Koike really wanted to really sell it as a grindhouse feature and I ate that shit up; I really dug the tone he was going for.
@Anon: It was strange seeing that Goemon short, much as I enjoyed it, thats the goriest I seen lupin get.
Anonymous2026379
Megalo box is pure retro while lupin is a mix of old and new...and you're right; people just think they can't jump right into it. But that's why more people should be talking about it; to let the masses know that you don't need a starting point to get into the Lupin franchise
I'm a massive fan of the devilman manga and I thought devilman crybaby was better than it.
Anonymous2026379
90's-esque throwback feeling shows like lupin and megalo box have been giving me
Anonymous2026379
Luoin part 5 is definitely mixing the best of new and old. Honestly, I've been having a blast with it as well as this generally 90
I think the problem is, people see lupin as this long thing they can't get into, when really its so episodic/standalone mostly you can pick up and watch.
And of course getting the best bits out of old and new.
*visual style
I'm a fan of this hybrid old and new style, megalobox does it too, mine fujiko aswell and casshern sins.
I was surprised by how well the Fujiko mine show came together in the end.
I'll be interested in picking up more facts about thrm.
Come think of it, Akira Kurosawa did some old western (eastern?) in Russian, that had an Ainu in it.
Anonymous2026379
Asirpa is sooooo adorable.....almost feels patronizing to say that about her due to how badass she is
Anonymous2026379
What makes Fujiko work so well as this sexy icon is that she isn't just sexy: she's smart as shit and uses that sexiness to dominate and control her opponents (similar to bayonetta) rather than be chained by the objectification of her opponents (and the viewers for that matter)
Anonymous2026379
I wonder what other obscure cameos we may get this season. And yea you're right about some of Lupin's potentially sexist traits being assuaged by his level of cool and the genuine respect he shows a good deal of the women he has encountered throughout the series
@Anon: Yet still a fun film at the same time.
Anonymous2026379
@Kaiser Yea, mamo was a pretty dark element introduced to the lupin franchise; and considering the tone of the gravestone of Jigen, it makes sense he would cameo there
@Mario: Help I want to kidnap Asirpa =<
@Anon: I'm probably as surprised as you, at finding someone to talk to about Lupin on here.
@Anon: And through comparing/contrasting the jigen grave stone and Fujiko mine, with some of the sillier older ones, it shows the Lupin characters are flexible enough to work both in a darker AND sillier context.
*character
@Anon: Fujiko is precisely how a fanservicey character should work and how built in/essential it is to her haracter, without becoming an irritant.
@Anon: By all means Lupin himself shouldn't be a character we like, much like Bond, but like Bond theres a coolness to the character that allows us to love him.
@Anon: Another great thing about Lupin is how it uses its 60s cool to get away with what would normally probably be considered fairly sexist.
@Anon: I had a big smile on my face when Mamo made a cameo appearance at the end of one of the recent ones and thats because I remember the Lupin Mamo movie was one of those first anime that I watched about 20 years aago.
Anonymous2026379
not to mention that its one of the few anime this season that actually knows how to utilize dialogue to explore flesh out its characters rather than exposition or contrivance: looking at you darling in the franxx
Anonymous2026379
@Kaiser-Eoghan Nice fun facts; but yea Lupin III is a series that has always had an amazing sense of pacing and adventure, traits that are definitely on display this season
@Anon: Its a huge franchise too so I'm often never sure where to go next.
@Anon: You may or may not know this, but the voice actor for solid snake voiced Lupin in one of the dubs.
@Anon: I watched a few episodes of the Italy set lupin show too .
Its a fun franchise due to its cast but its something I have to follow irregularly, lest it get repetitive.
@Anon: Fun fact, guy who directed the gold of babylon film was a famous B-movie noir director in the 60s.
Dont trust anything written by the original SAO author. Everything is his fault. Kirito is not in this series.
Even the original SAO author has little to do with it, which is why its actually good
So SAO Alt is basically completely removed from the rest of SAO
@Anon: Lupin is one of those things I dip in and out of, whatever part of the franchise it is. I've seen birdcage kingdom, Mamo, cagliostro, nostradamus, Jigens grave stone, mine fujiko and the recent Goemon centred special.
Anonymous2026379
it's a damn shame not a lot of ppl are talkig about/watching lupin the third this season
But for all I know with that team behind it, its an improvement, but theres probably not much point in me watching as I dropped the first season after less than 10 episodes.
See how he attempts to seduce me into watching something related to sword art.
Huh... I didnt know the writer for SAO Alt was written by the Kino's Journey creator and produced by the Flip Flappers people. Explains a lot
I wish I knew what you meant by shaman girls, and I cant wait
@Lenlo, Oh I know Leskinen. May he find his Japanese Shaman girls one day. But seeing as I know the story I wanna experience it differently.
@Mario: Its even set in hokkaido, Korean/Japanese director, Japanese cast, Ken Watanabe is in it: https://letterboxd.com/film/unforgiven-2013/
Also, I love the ED. Really, 2 episodes in, I love S;G all over again.
@Kaiser: really? They remade Unforgiven in Japanese?
its*
Like... is good.
But your missing out on the cult of Leskinen. The engrish is actually one of my favorite parts
@Lenlo, Meanwhile I am happily waiting for the dub.
Dangit... I have to wait another week for Steins;Gate 0 now. I cant do this.
@Mario: The Japanese remake of unforgiven had ainu people in it.
Anonymous2025797
Also I wonder if budget is distributed according to the director, some animes will spend more in the first episode. Some will spend more in the last ones. It's subjective, but if it's like all business it is looking for the better result at the minimum expense. Hence why I believe Berserk was made the way it did.
Anonymous2025797
@Kaiser-Eoghan - Ideally a story should be as long as it needs. But reality seems that a number of episodes is decided before production. And so you either have to stretch or cut material. Kinda like that 300 page manga of Les Miserables, is simply unfeasible translating that book into that few pages.
Oberstein was a great character.
I actually feel Aidan can do a good job on it. Sometimes been too exposed to the material may lead to clouded eyes.
Though I'm surprised by how I unexpectedly laughed at wotaku, I do wonder if later on it will include any slight drama elements to sustain interest.
OMO; OBERsteins; Gate =P
From watching episode 2 of golden kamuy, yeah, the source material definitely is lifting this.
I'm going to have to wait and see on steins; gate 0, it is encouraging to here this might be darker , at the same time I remember having to sit through too much goofy humour in the first one.
I was actually surprised, that, while rare, there were some moments of humour, that lightened it for me.
Throughout the entire series I expected Oberstein to pull some inevitable double cross. And was shocked when he never did.
@Kaiser: Agree with Oberstein. I think antagonists are es important as the mains in fiction and I loved this guy, he's perfect for series like these.
Galactic heroes was an example of where when watching it, when big death scenes occured, I would make noooooo and shouting noises at the screen while clenching my fist.
I love characters like Oberstein, shrewd, clever, but done right to where I can believe it, not characters like, say Lelouch .
I'd be concerned if the new galactic heroes series skimps on the violence, that kind of thing needs to be in there, in most shows/films and shown to be explicit, consequences need to be shown.
*about, not with
Sadly, most original 2+ cours series I know feel dragged whereas many 1 cours originals could have needed ~3 more episodes. Talking with series that have an actual plot of course.
I really like the 13 episodes thingy for originals but I wish there would be more 26 episodes series, especially for adaptions.
@Kaiser: I agree. Nothing kills my interest faster than formularic episodes and repetition.
In general I think 50 episodes would be the most I'd watch for an anime, 39 seems ideal.
Or worse and the romance drama is the main plot and it's Kiznaiver all over again, while the rest is just flavor to make the romances more forced since they're the MCs are only teens and such. Dunno but I can never bring myself to care about this kind of stuff.
Though better 110 episodes of galactic heroes than a long shounen that just repeats itself.
Speaking of recent episodes, I unironically thing that FranXX's world (building) is pretty interesting (although I hope those klaxxosaurusses will be more than just random cannon fodder) but I doubt the series will ever get to the main plot again the next time.
Same here. It was really the only time I did this. I am usually exhausted by just thinking about marathoning long series. It's the reason why I won't get into FMP for the new series either. LotGH was an exception since I found it easily to watch for some reason.
Man, just image burning through 110 episodes of it and my spirit fades away
Watched that whole series ages ago.
Just watched the first three Neue These episodes and I surprinsingly liked it. Thought I would hate it due to being an OVA fan, and I still prefer the old designs by far but overall it's pretty good. I think I might even prefer this version of the first battle, but I have to rewatch the old one I guess.
Also while I can't remember which episode, Yang picks up a book with the author of the series' name on it.
Arslan feels so lightweight by contrast/comparison.
And I think, given your knowledge KTtravlos, that a series review of the new galactic heroes season would probably benefit from you writing it.
I bring up the music in my earlier comment, because I can understand your reservations regarding the music choice in the remake.
And certainly one of those shows, that going back to the first episode after finishing, gives a strong perspective just on how evolving the series was.
*despite me not
Despite not being monarchist , because the characters were human moreso than cartoon characters I couldn't hate on Reinhard.
@Travlos: I suppose by the time it got to Julian's arc, I was surprised they were still bothering to fight but the fact that they were essentially the last bastion of their beliefs made it special.
@Travlos: Sometimes when I just finish a show, its a case where I HAVE to jump online immediately after and excitedly ramble out an essay on it.
niello
ugh democracy
@Kaiser ultimately LOGH for me was a decisive point in my political life, as I think it made the best defense of democracy in any form I have seen. And it worked partly because the opponent was presented in the best possible incarnation (Rienhard). Yang's continued adherence to democracy, despite recongising its flaws, helped me avoid a personal descent into authoritarian politics.
@Kaiser. I am happy you had a good experience. I watched the prequels a while after the main show and I was happy because it was great getting back to those characters. The prequels were also great in fleshing the setting and the characters. So yes, take your time and a break. That way the prequels will be like visiting a place you liked again after a while.
@KTtravlos: I have some other stuff to get through before watching the galactic heroes prequel though =<
YES according to discord poster I'm not a millenial!
Sorry for overposting. I have always always being an incredibly verbose person.
@Vonter; Not that I oppose captilistically made for a buck cinema, it can be entertaining yes, but I set a standard.
@Vonter: As open as I am to trash cinema, I consider the resident evil films, like the superhero ones, anti-art.
I can understand why people don't like Villier, but he did I think work as a device to add extra tension.
I feel some release at finishing but at the same time sadness at saying goodbye to the show and its characters.
, showing its age.
But for something of this length, it kept itself up far better than most long shows and I feel the length its somewhat justified.

On another note….as corny as the third ending theme is, I got the feels listening to it.
But while the first 50 odd episodes were an easy job for me aswell as all of the 4th season and some of the late 3rd season made it difficult for me to pull myself away from it, the dialogue even though often well observed did become difficult to follow at times and somewhere in the middle theres a stretch of episodes, bar some moments that feel a bit of an endurance test and the animation is at
Its attention to detail I felt was at its strongest in the documentary and the series dedication to filling the view in on its world building/fictional history.
I admired the scope, ambition of this series and the battles eventually grew on me and I was surprised by just how visceral the melee combat got which suited me perfectly. At the same time for all the strategy and action, I found myself more in it for the story, characters and intrigue/politicking. Those battles, due in part to their music choices, had an epic feel to them
In the end the characters stood out for me the best were Reinhard, Oberstein (for being essentially the amazing man with the plan), Reuntal, Kircheis and Rubinsky, I warmed up to Julian, Yang and Schenkop. When important deaths occurred, they felt highly dramatic, in four cases emotionally effecting for me .
Also, KTtravlos, thank you for pushing me toward watching the original legend of the galactic heroes, my opinion on the series is largely a mixed one, but by the end I felt I’d watched something rewarding and I’m happy its crossed off my list and I should have gotten round to it sooner.
I'm probably the oldest here, being 32. Which apparently makes me around Yang-wenli's age, which according to someone means I'm middle aged .
To the discord guy who brought it up, its difficult not for me to be political, my father was an activist and is a Marxist , I ended up becoming a contradiction a semi-agnostic, but spiritually inclined/tolerant socialist with internationalist ideology.
@Aidan: Ends in very cliffhanger/abrupt indy way though and the things weakness/how to kill thems too easy.
@Aidan: I liked how it explains nothing also and the creature design and how it visual communicates to the audience.
@Aidan: While I won't say anything, a character death is handled in what I considered a schmaltzy manner. There is a particularly headscratching decision the characters make that you'll either rationalize or hate, but it leads to one of the tenser set pieces later on.
@Aidan: Quiet place has a good idea at its backbone, that they use sign language in the film to communicate and occassional whispers adds to it, it and the silence allows for a mood to be effectively communicated. It does have jump scares, I wasn't annoyed by them, but I never felt the film required them.
@Aidan: I read the discord, if you ever need to ask a question relating to film, come to me about it, I will without fail be able to answer 9 times out of 10.
I was adequately amused by the first episode of wotaku, but found the male lead funnier, which I'm attributing to him be more deadpan.
We found a convient weekend for everyone
*watching
I would also float the idea of recommendation podcasts every now and then.
I will listen to the podcast more in full later. But I was surprised after asking/suggesting it on the discord, that it came so soon.
I am thinking of re-watching gasaraki and ai yori aoshi.
@Niello: Perhaps after a while of watch the anime I will simply jump on to the manga.
I watched Resident Evil: Vendetta yesterday. It's incredible dumb but kind of fun. I do wonder if in terms of entertainment are like the best videogame based movies. Since it plays like a videogame, it's based on a videogame and is more or less in line with the tone the series has had for a while.
niello
It's such a shame that Golden Kamuy art direction is such a train wreck.
and for the sake of Clausewitz there is clinical term for what Reinhard did. It is called "defeat in detail". Napoleon was a master of it. Proper way to defeat it , is to order the threatened force to retreat to a point where other allied forces are converging. The enemy will either have to retreat, or fight at a disadvantage. The 1813 and 1814 campaigns against Napoleon are examples of that.
Episode 2 of LOGGH: Der Neue Thesis was much better than the first. The music is still an issue, but Yang was well portrayed. I do think there is lack of the directors in showing the cruelty of war, like the first one did. We will see.
@Mario: Still need to see his short films and black Peter.
@Anon: I already know the manga and enjoy it, think the anime is a good adaption so far. Feels good to see a series about video games that are actually just games and romance without tsunderes, tons of blushing or unworldly naive harem girls.
Anonymous2016456
the anime
Anonymous2016456
how do you guys think of wotakoi?
@Kaiser: Hereditary sounds pretty promising here
Forman's an interesting case, when you look at the huge disconnect from his early films from the 60s and then what he went on to make.
Ah, unfortunately I am not a fan of country music so Nashville didn't appeal to me =<
@Mario: And before Jack kept playing the same role over and over.
@Mario: Aside from Courtney Love's presence, Larry Flynt is an excellent film. I love the custom camera tricks Kubrick used in Lyndon , dog day afternoon suceeded for me because it did so much more than being just a bank rob film. I wish Spielberg would return to his pre-90s films .
Cuckoo's Nest reminds me of the great 1975 Oscar Best Picture, which for me was Oscar's greatest line-up. The line-ups for that year were: Cuckoo Nest (winner), Nashville, Barry Landon, Dog Day Afternoon and Jaws

Steins;Gate 0 – 2 [Epigraph of the Closed Curve -Closed Epigraph-]

9 years. It has been almost 9 years since the original season of Steins;Gate. Since Okabe overcame received a mysterious video message, which prompted him to finally save the day. Back then it was a rather clever, if thin, plot device to get a happy ending. Steins;Gate 0 is the story of this video message. […]

Legend of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These – 2/3[The Battle of Astarte/An Indomitable Prodigy]

If I was to judge this adaption based solely on the first three episodes I would declare it a resounding success. For while I do really like the old series, it does have a rather slow start. I say i only truly got invested in it around episode 3 or 4 when the more political […]

Golden Kamuy – 02 [Nopperabo]

Leave it to Japanese cartoon that done the Western genre better than the Westerners, at least from what we have seen so far (note: despite my pun, Western the genre doesn’t refer to the Western culture, but to the American Old West). Granted, Japanese cinema and literature has a strong tradition of samurai genre, which […]

Hinamatsuri – 02 [This Is How You Have a ESP Battle!]

Welcome to THE comedy gold of the season. Before I get into anything specific, let’s me discuss about what make this little show about a psychic girl and a yakuza hilarious in the first place. The main source of humor in Hinamatsuri largely comes from situation-based weirdness. Putting these characters out of their comfort zones […]

Darling in the Franxx – 14[Punishment and Confession]

Last time Darling and the Franxx had it’s best episode yet which raised my opinion of the series and gave me hopes for greater things moving forward. So it’s sad that they follow this up with the worst episode of the series to date. This episode was pure frustration to watch because you knew exactly […]

Megalo Box – 2 [The Man Only Dies Once]

Welcome to the Spring 2018 anime season! I am proud to present to you the Ashita no Joe 50th Anniversary project, Megalo Box. Easily the most stylish anime of the season. Lets jump in! With just 2 episodes, Megalo Box has become my favorite for the season. Everything about it feels like it comes from […]

Darling in the Franxx – 13[The Beast and the Prince]

That was the best episode of Darling in the Franxx to date. Truly I am impressed with this though it may be perhaps because the fanservice aspects of the show were not present at all during this episode. Todays episode was spent entirely on the past of Hiro and Zero Two. When this episode is […]

Fate/Extra Last Encore – 08-10[No Second Strike ― Dead End ― /Golden Theater of the Deranged ― Aestus Domus Aurea ― /Unlimited――― ― Unlimited/ Raise・Dead ―]

It hard to have an opinion on the last three episodes of Fate/Extra when the content has been quite similar to the previous episodes of the cour. For now the series has ended with the remaining episodes coming as a special later. Still unknown if that was the actual special broadcast that was originally considered […]

Darling in the Franxx – 10-12[The City of Eternity/Partner Shuffle/The Garden Where It All Began]

Three episode coverage this week as many things got in the way of my casual blogging, the much late preview being one of them. I must say that the last few episodes of Franxx have been quite strong as we have had a string of character development episodes which have really fleshed out the cast. […]

Kokkoku – 42.5/100

There are lots of bad anime out there, for one reason or another. Whether it be stilted animation, terrible writing or bad direction, a good portion of each season is simply not worth it. Kokkoku is not a bad anime. It is something much worse. Kokkoku is a mediocre anime. Bad ones get talked about, […]

Junji Ito Collection Anime Review – 40/100

In the realm of manga there is a man whose name is inescapable when the genre of horror is brought up. That man is Junji Ito and his work is considered legendary for its artistic detail, mastery of manga paneling and it’s outlandish imaginative concepts. Up till now his work has yet to have an […]

Yuru Camp (Winter 2018) Review – 74/100

I admit that I underestimated Yuru Camp back in its first few episodes. I took it as a standard, run-on-the-mill slice of life show and I fully expected to give it 3 episodes at max before throwing it into the deep sea of forgotten anime. But as time pass, I can certainly see many good […]

Neo Yokio – 96/100

This may be half a year overdue but I simply can’t accept that none of the writing staff of Star Crossed Anime have cover the the biggest development in anime where Netflix took a hand in producing anime in the form of Neo Yokio. Taking place in the metropolis of Neo Yokio, a mashup between […]

Devilman Crybaby – 83/100

It’s an exciting time to be an anime fan where new business models and players are making big waves within the animation industry. After debuting with the original and excellently-produced Neo Yokio, the juggernaut streaming service of Netflix has decided to revive the classic series of Devilman and gives it the full adaption treatment. By […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 69/100

Fantasy is a rather prolific genre in anime, with a vast majority of Isekai and Shounen fitting snugly into it. Most take place in their own unique setting, either Amestris of Full Metal Alchemist or the made of world of the latest Isekai trash. Few however try to set themselves in our world. To peel […]

Mary and the Witch’s Flower – 73/100 (Joint Review)

Wooper: Mary and the Witch’s Flower is the first feature film from Studio Ponoc, which spun off from Studio Ghibli in early 2015. Given Ghibli’s towering reputation, the bar was high for this inaugural flick, which recently made its way to U.S. theaters, giving Lenlo and I a chance to see it on the big […]

In This Corner of the World (2016) Movie Review – 90/100

In this Corner of the World (for the purpose of this review, I’ll refer it as “Corner”), is the truest slice of life drama if you ever encounter one, in that it’s a slice into an ordinary life of an ordinary girl during the War period. That speaks into the very first strength of Corner, […]

Houseki no Kuni (Fall 2017) Review – 92/100

Make no mistake, Houseki no Kuni is the most ambitious anime project of the year. Not only because it’s an entirely CG project (and make a damn good use of it, mind you), or because of its narrative scope that at once strange, grand and beauty, but also in its very conception in their production […]