Posted by psgels on 28 July 2009 with categories: Shangri-La

Another great episode, if only because of Karin’s awesomeness. I already suspected that we didn’t see the last of her when she got busted out of her room by Atlas, but for her to end up buying the entire Akihabara! That’s a nice one. To think that it’s actually Karin who unites all of the good guys, rather than Kuniko, but it’s definitely an interesting twist for Karin to try and collect all of the Digmas (or Triple As, as she calls them). We still don’t know though what makes them so important, and why Ryouko bothered to let them go in the first place. Now that Claris seems to be gone, an interesting split personality on her side also seems to surface.

In other news, Takehito seems to have discovered that Kuniko is a Triple A Atlas member. What we do learn in this episode is that one of the Triple As is meant to inherit Atlas in the future… wtf?! But in any case, Takehito’s grief for his dead sister seems to be a bit too big for him to accept that Kuniko is part of Atlas (he’s probably not going to like it when he finds out about her grandmother either). We see him jump off a cliff in this episode, but in true Shangri-La fashion, I really doubt that that was the last we see of him. :)

But the juiciest plot twist in this episode: Kuniko plans to burn down the ENTIRE TOKYO in order to stop the Daedalus from spreading. This plot just keeps getting better and better, doesn’t it? My big hope is that Gonzo has saved its budget for that particular scene, because if it’s going to mean that the the entire city of Tokyo, including Atlas, is going to end up in flames, then that’s going to make for some potentially awesome eye candy.

What also striked me in this episode is that there are a lot of people who have an aversion of something major: Karin hates public places, Mikuni can’t go out in broad daylight, while Medusa can’t seem to survive without water. I keep trying to look for a link with something else in the story, but it seems pretty random. If you take liberties in this definition then you could argue that Sayoko can’t live without a “daughter”-figure to take care of, and Momoko and Miiko turned away their manlihoods, but there still doesn’t seem to be a pattern I can spot here. Especially since Kuniko and Kunihito don’t seem to fit in this theme at all…
Rating: ** (Excellent)

1. chounokoe says:

I’m glad there’s still somebody out there who likes the series enough to blog it.
    Even though Shangri La is a bit jumpy in terms of storytelling at times – I admit I never saw characters switching between places that fast, no wonder many people can’t keep track of what happens when and where – but at least it is entertaining and is kinda fresh in it’s topic while still being kinda nostalgic (I always start thinking of Anime like Ima soko ni iru boku when I watch it.

Oh yeah, regarding the inheriting of Atlas, I think it was already hinted earlier, so I don’t know if it was that surprising.
    Maybe I just overanalyzed, but I always interpreted Hiruko’s visions of the Sun/Moon rising to illuminate the sky and the Earth ruling over the land as a prophecy of what the three TripleA are supposed to do in the future.

2. PL says:

I liked this episode except how mikuni seems to have reverted to her pre-Mi-Ko level of spoiled brattiness…Karin certainly deserved it, but it just feels like the development she’d gained from having Mi-ko as a mother figure is completely undone.

3. Panther says:

“Especially since Kuniko and Kunihito don’t seem to fit in this theme at all…”

The answer was in the statement – they cannot live without each other. Oh the “love” scenes so far. y u do dis, gonzo

I also smell the Gonzo ending already. No idea why, but this plot stank of it from the start. Not that it has not been entertaining and still a good watch, but the end looks to be pretty much Gonzo’ed.

Also, you meant “struck”, not “striked”.

4. senerikfred says:

Panther, fucking LOL, you spoke my thoughts down to the grammar correction. That first part is exactly what I thought after reading this post-I haven’t been keeping up with Shangri-la, but the biggest thing I drew from the first ep was ‘obvious love interest is obvious’ at Kunihito’s first appearance. I’ve less incentive than ever to watch this at the possibility of such a corny ship, but even my hatred for shows that expect you to take them seriously while blatantly disregarding realism may drop its guard if I have psgels’ word that it’s fully entertaining to the end.

5. psgels psgels says:

We’ll see though, there hasn’t been any actual romance between the two yet at this point, so it can really get anywhere.

As for the ending… let’s just say that the guy behind the series composition has me confident that it’s not going to screw up. It’s most likely going to be rushed in some way, but there still is a lot of potential for a Good Gonzo ending.

6. Lala says:

I think the thing that Kuniko can’t live without would be Momoko-san. She was really upset that time when Momoko was captured, not at all like what the others were like. I can’t find what Kunihito can’t live without though… His mom’s chicken soup?? >_

7. lim175 says:

actually, i’m not getting too much of a bad gonzo shipping vibe here. I mean, i can see the shipping. but i don’t see this prospective “relationship” developing fast enough to reach to that :( point :) It seems more focused on the politics and plot than chara. shippings…

8. dm00 says:

I’d been cooling on the series through the recent episodes — only the very best directors can do “epic” with any facility (Kurosawa, Lean, even Peter Jackson fumbled when it came to Return of the King), and the “epic”, world-changing scenes of the past few episodes have struck me as silly.

Karin has really struck me as a surprising linch-pin of this series.

As to Gonzo endings? I bet we never learn who Karin’s parents are, or what the real nature of her relationship with them is. I wouldn’t be too surprised if we never find out the story behind Momoko’s earring, either.

9. Jabba says:

I thought that Ryouko said that the Daedalus was created to prevent forest fires…
    So would setting them on fire REALLY work?

10. Shounen A says:

I’m Takehiko knew Kuniko had rank AAA from the beginning, and that it was learning what happened to his sister that broke him.

As for a pattern, here are my weak suggestions: being a mother figure for Momoko and Miko (compare Miko pre-Mikuni and after), and something to believe in for Kunihito and Kuniko.

11. chounokoe says:

So would setting them on fire REALLY work?

No, I think it won’t work, but as far as I know only Ryouko knows about that so far. So maybe exactly this plan of Kuniko is the point where the finale/catastrophe will set in.

And about the earing…well I hope at least that it will be featured, at least in a sense that maybe she really got it on the market but knows from who (eg Mikunis mother).
    And so far it CAN’T be revealed I think, because it still is a mystery what exactly the TripleA are.

12. Elvenwarrior says:

“This episode, on the other hand, concentrated on the small: the conversation between Takehiko and Kuniko, Momoko’s careful tactfulness (Momoko! tactfulness! in the same sentence!) about Takehiko’s fate, and all those wonderful, wonderful scenes with Karin muttering to herself. Everything: the writing, the directing, the acting, came together this episode.”

Agreed.

As for the mystery of the earring, I do still think they will address it before the end.

Even more so as far as Karin’s parents go. At the moment, I think I’d actually be rather surprised if we DON’T find out about them, as I still think, like others, that it will be part of what links her background even further to the others.

13. Rob Hiengler says:

Nope still no explanation on how Lord Hiroko, the child sacrifices and spiritual energy prevent the Atlas building from oscillating. Who was the IDIOT architect for the building anyway who forgot to put TUNED-MASS DAMPENERS.

I mean honestly a plot component SOOOOO contrived it irritates me.

Seriously if I was Takehiko I would have pulled the trigger.

Next how exactly did Karin buy the whole of Akihabara? Considering Ishibara Finance went insolvent. Certainly not from the information she got from Zeus. In addition not everyone will want to have sold their land to her. How pathetically simplified is this farce?

Mikuni just figured out she can go out at night no-need to wait for a solar eclipse. Yup there you go sprinkle in the occult as well – magical barriers – sheesh. The fact that she’s a complete murdering psychopath doesn’t really endear her either.

Back to Daedelus. What surprises me is if it has spread this far, why did no-one notice it before? Is it Nitrogen dioxide or Nitrogen monoxide? Or let’s leave it so obscure that no-one will question it right – could be anything. Either of which anyway aren’t propellants. Let’s not even consider how or why a plant would produce these gases, or what selective pressures would direct this “evolution”.

In addition how exactly does shooting seed put out a fire? Come on boys *wink* *wink*

Lastly fire-bombing Tokyo to get rid of Daedelus. How do we know that fire:

-gets rid of it
    -as mentioned before by Jabba would fire even work if they were designed to put out fire in the first place.

Rating negative * – crapfest!

14. chounokoe says:

While the anime of Shangri La is no masterpiece, especially compared to the original novel (many points that were important were dropped to make it fit into 26 episodes), you could at least watch it until the end if you’re already watching it in one go…
    Especially the function of Atlas is something that is only explained at the very end…even though the anime simplified the symbolic meaning of many parts of the Atlas plan.

Also expecting basic symbolic characters like Hiruko to be explained in all details just shows that this story heavily relies on at least basic knowledge of Japanese mythology…if you don’t understand, look it up.

Just to save you from the pain of watching further…because you seem to be expecting a sci-fi story with it’s focus on the SCIENCE aspect. It is NOT.
    So if you’re watching Sci-Fi with a fully classical western standpoint and abhore the idea of mythology/mysticism and science being used equally…just stop.

Or is this some kind of trollish rant on the series?!

15. Rob Hiengler says:

@chounokoe

Trollish rant hardly. I’m giving a definitive breakdown of why Shangri-La deserves to be slated as an anime series – Sorry are only good reviews or comments allowed?

In what way exactly is the series tied to Japanese mythology? What because the Digmas have a sun, moon, etc. coinciding with Amaterasu, Tsukuyomi, Susanoo all stemming from Izanagi? They bare a pale resemblance at best and are linked merely by name, to say it is linked to Japanese mythology is a fallacious strawman argument in its entirety proven by the FACT you are unable and unwilling to explain this.

That’s the entire problem with the series right there. I mean why even use references to Greek mythology which aren’t even linked in anyway or correctly referenced. IF YOU DON’T UNDERSTAND LOOK IT UP!

I certainly don’t abhore the use of science/mysticism/mythology, but when you do it INCORRECTLY like I’ve proven time and time again and mish-mash a story line that is so unoriginal and unable to have any direction then its fair to criticize that.

16. chounokoe says:

If you would bother to actually watch the series as a whole and not review each episode individually, even though you seem to be watching at least 4-5 per day, maybe some things would come to you.

No criticism is actually pretty much welcome, but there is reasonable criticsm and such that seems to be done only for the sake of criticizing.
    Yes, I already agreed that the Shangri La anime actually has some really big flaws in how it tried to make the story of Ikegami Eiichi’s novel fit into this frame. Some things were so heavily simplified, that of course someone with scientific knowledge could see that they are rather constructed and far from reality…most of those were done in order to make the plot move faster.

The factor of Japanese mythology is actually rather big, even though it is toned down compared to the original.
    But I would rather refrain from posting them here (at episode 17) and rather wait to the point when you actually finished the series.

Even the greek mythology is actually there for a reason and is a rather big foreshadowing of what Atlas is actually planned out to be.

17. Robhiengler says:

chounokoe read my other comments forward of this episode: if you want to comment at episode 24 then be my guest. My point is there is simplification, then there’s taking mythology and essentially ripping it apart and re-writing to suit the author’s convoluted nonsensical plotline with the barest of similarity. It isn’t clever or astute and quite honestly does an utter disservice culturally both from a western and japanese perspective. The incorrect pop-science and pop-economics just helps to misinform people. There’s a huge difference between creating made-up compounds and materials and assigning them specific qualities and taking known materials explaining it in detail utterly incorrectly to make the series sound intelligent and suit the plot. If any show was guilty for crimes against knowledge: Shangri-La takes the top spot.

In addition are you telling me the anime adaptation is completely different to the Light novels in terms of economics, science and mythology, is the “Carbon economy” utterly different? I think its quite apparent that Ikegami Eiichi Light Novels are based on an entirely flawed premise as well, the anime merely reflects this.

18. chounokoe says:

Just to have that out of the picture, Shangri La is NOT a light-novel. It’s a 500 page long novel (with two rows…so basically it’s even longer, I would assume around 700 if it were printed otherwise).

The point is that some of the structures were changed altogether in the anime. In the novel some characters do not meet at all, almost everybody except Miiko is changed entirely…the hardest changes went into Ryôko, Tarshan and Nagiko.

The story of Shangri La is less about creating a scientifically correct dystopic future, as it is more about an outlook on humanity in general.
    The Carbon trade did play a big part in the novel, but not as much as in the anime, as the shift into a mythologically based finale is much stronger.

I will gladly answer the questions you have and discuss this further when you’re finished with the series…as other people could read this and be badly spoiled.

19. Robhiengler says:

Outlook on humanity? Please we got to see very little of anything of humanity or the world in this series.

Feel free chounokoe to comment on episode 24 – I would really like to hear:

– mythology relationship (accuracy).
    – Explanation for ATLAS and its conception.

Actually Shangri-La IS A collection of Light Novels
    as

1) It was serialsied
    2) It’s aimed at a younger demographic
    3) Loads of nice pictures in it right?

Customize
Yeah I really can't see that.
Naruto, for insight into major philosphical question and demi god reincarnation.
Also featuring moon ninjas.
*insight* *major philosophical questions* *??????*
I can understand that. Before the conclusion the main cast was pretty linear and repetetive character developement wise - the main focus was shounen action for the majority of the series. The conclusion showed us that these characters are reincarnates of sons of a demi god. They build up that past world with such an insight to major philosphical questions but easily understandable & relatable.
People might disagree with this but I like how 91 Days plays out. Low-key but satisfied ending.
@Badesh, Forgive me if I am rather skeptical on that statement.
reaLjustified
Well when the series is two decades old how is it an accomplishment? There are one shots that make me feel more emotionally attached to the story.
Badesh
Hell, Naruto final arc turned out to be one of the most holistic storytelling i've encountered in a while. The character developement ties in so nicely with the whole universe. It's a great accomplishement growing a pop anime into a mature mystic saga. i highly reccomend it even for newcomers. just watch past great ninja war.
*last two
I'll leave it to someone else to pick the last one.
Might add trouble every day by Claire Denis and Livid by Julien Maury.
Thanks for that. So now its under the shadow, return of the evil dead 1, dagon, from beyond, re-animator, haute tension, nekromantik, the tunnel.
Ah I had forgotten, I'd meant to see Haute tension.
Of those I haven't seen nekromantik or dead things.
That's all I can think for now. I'm sure K-off and others will have more inspiring suggestions down the line
For pychological edge: Haute Tension, Lake Mungo, Three... Extremes (actually the 3 shorts are all interesting), The Tunnel 2011 (underaprreciate Aussie found-footage)
For sick minds, Man Bites Dog, a Serbian film, Der Tolesking, Human Centipede (1&2)
Alright, for pure horror pleasures: Necromantik (1987), Green Inferno, Dead/Alive (my childhood's nightmare), Children Shouldn't Play woth Dead Things (more like a guity pleasure)
Haha scary indeed
@Mario: The scariest thing about the haunting was that a remake of it exists that betrays the original.
Now, let me check my own horror list for more reccomendation
Hahaha! Possession predates urotsukidouji =P in terms of the tentacle monster thing.
And I heard that the Haunting (1963) is good as well. Some david lynch movies (Lost Highway for example) could be claasified as horror too
Shame he passed away early this year. But he did say that the violent relationship in that movie was based on his own divorce.
@Mario: I think Polish directed films are apparently rooted in theater. Though I believe he is a Dadaist.
@Mario: Apparently Possession and diabal, all of his works are full of hidden political messages.
@Mario: That director is genuinely off-the wall insane, silver globe and l'amour braque actually make that look sane.
Possession the movie that Isabelle Adjani stared in? God, that movie exhausted me
Innocents was so much better than its remake the others, the atmosphere was a lot lot stronger too, black and white really adds to the mood too.
ha! I loved those.
This year I'm looking for silly horror movies predominently.
Let scare Jessica to death; the innocents 1961, Kill List, goodnight Mommy
My alltime favourite horror film is Possession.
No fuck it, no sequels. Currently it stands at under the shadow, return of the evil dead 1, dagon, from beyond, re-animator.
Too lazy to check out which horror movies that you've watched, but sure I can reccomend you some, from shitty to pure camp.
Actually wait, under the shadow is out next week so that means I only need 5 more.
Or maybe a 12 days is more feasible, easier. So that brings it down to six more. Guilty pleasures accepted.
Any room for shitty horror in that list?
I have to do a 30 days of halloween list soon. Want to limit it to horror films I haven't seen. So far I have the return of the living dead trilogy , dagon, from beyond and the re-animator.
I also recently watched stranger things. I felt it did right by its 80s throw back, straight down to the references, score, costumes. Pretty cool monster too and the younger actors I thought were mostly good. Kind of slightly reminded me of the goonies to a small extent. I think it succeeded in being fairly heartfelt. Although I did find it a bit padded.
About the new season, I'm more interested in how these dark horse titles will turn out: Flip-flappers, ClassicalLoid, Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku, Yuri on Ice
@Aidan: I had Stranger Things on my queue list for a while now, but don't plan to watch it anytime soon. Glad you enjoy it.
ReZero is the only show I finished in about 2 seasons. Hopefully the Working spinoff is up to par.
Hoping things change when the first episodes start airing of the new anime season.
Things have gotten quiet here. I plan on getting my Mob psycho review up today. I have to say that the next season doesn't interest me very much. There's some great stuff coming next year but the fall is looking pretty...meh.
Finally got around to watching Stranger Things. Good show, I like the nostalgic way they tell the story though at times its too Spielberg/King. I admit that I can't say I was blown away by it. It's good and I will be watching the second season. But it's a tad.. predictable. Those child actors did a great job though.
@Bam I'm not certain the email I have is one you actually use, so here it is: (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QWnGcuVQuXfOJuh80SDgtiZH4X6Zya_XEG2ZOM6u-5k/edit?usp=sharing)
It's pathetic right now, I'm sorting out my arrangements for Seoul first.
@Bam I'll send you the itinerary in a few hours. Appreciate the offer for guides but I'll decline on that, otherwise it wouldn't hurt to have additional contacts in japan. The person I'm traveling with is half Japanese, so I trust that we won't run into tourist traps.
It logged me out again. Oh well! That was me Bam
Anonymous207007
@Bam: the first time I've ever heard of Chinchilla. Sorry to hear about your pet. Don't feel bad about the late post, it's perfectly fine. After all, we all volunteer to contribute here, so no pressure on the timing. Just write whenever you feel like it really.
Bam
Can anybody else see these?
Bam
@K-off: right on m8, I'm excited for you. Email me your itinerary and I can not only recommend some spots that aren't just basic tourist-traps, but can also hook you up with some friends to take you around and show you what the real Japan is all about.
Bam
I was planning to release the posts just as scheduled, but my Chinchilla suddenly got ill, and given the exotic nature of such pets I've been in and out of dozens of veterinary clinics. Over a week later and $600 spend, the poor thing finally gave out. I've been pretty out of since it happened, but again sorry for just disappearing.
Bam
I am actually still breathing. Sorry again for the unceremonious absence.
@anon196168 I'm all ears for suggestions.
Anonymous196168
If youre going to japan maybe you could do something more unique than just taking pictures of locations? Plenty of those already on Google.
Noticing a server error showing up on the shoutbox there.
Good point, normal users generally just stay anono. ke69Vin?...69...really....that's just sad humor right there.
That was most definitely little Kevin as well. 9vinke6 is obviously an anagram.
@9Vinke6, I don't know what you are trying to share but it ain't an image. Deleting your comment as I don't want dodgy files on the site.
Are you kidding??!! Tokyo is amazing if you want excitement & you want to experience social life. But I agree go to Osaka. If tokyo is like Quebec then osaka is like toronto. More laid back
OPM was a shoe-in. It's showing very good success on Adult Swim on US TV and Viz is throwing big dollars to keep the gravy train rolling
One Punch Man season 2 was announced. Expected but most certainly welcome.
...now I need Re:Zero season 2.
CJayTiiii
Honestly, if you are going to Kyoto essentially no shrine is worth visiting in Tokyo because none of them are as nice as the ones in Kyoto and they are essentially all tourist traps.
If you guys insist I'll give Osaka serious consideration. But again I'd hate to gloss over Kyoto or Tokyo. But anyhow my 4 week stay in Seoul will be eternity compared to the Japan trip.
CJayTiii
Ikebukuro is probably used almost as much as shibuya? Specifically for durarara right around the station (east side) is used a lot. Kabuki-Cho in shinjuku is definitely used a lot but I couldn't tell you in what off the top of my head.
CJayTiii
Also as someone who lived in Kyoto and now lives in Tokyo, I would suggest spending as much time as possible in Kyoto as there is just so much stuff to do there. Tokyo there honestly really isn't that much stuff to do here other than going out to drink I feel. Lol also Osaka is only a 30 min train ride (about 5$ USD) from Kyoto so it's easy to go there for a couple hours
@Mario I'll be home by new years unfortunately, I'll have to settle for Christmas in tokyo.
@CJay Thanks, any suggestions for Tokyo? I'm trying to avoid cliché locations for anime-related scenery. Like Shibuya.
CJayTiii
For Kyoto, Tatami Galaxy is probably the best anime for side by side comparisons. Kamogawa river, Kiyamachi street, and shimogamo shrine are famous areas that pretty much constantly make appearances throughout the show.
@K-Off: Disney Tokyo? haha If it was me I've chosen somewhere more... locally. But who I am to judge as I celebrated last New Year Eve in Times Square, the most tourist spot of them all. But I really hope you can spend some time to go to some shrines for the New Year in Tokyo.
@Mario The person I'm travelling with wants to spend Christmas at Disney Tokyo, and unsurprisingly nearly all places will still be open, same as NYC. Christ, I'm more worried about my wallet.
@K-Off: Makes sense. I'd say better stick in one place for long days rather than short trips in several places. Even 10 days for those 2 places wouldn't be enough imo, well especially during Xmas since the streets will be busy and many places could be closed (I guess?)
@Mario It doesn't seem like I'll go to Osaka, the goal is to explore Kyoto and Tokyo and much as possible for a week and a half. If I can squeeze it in there I will, but that means spending less time in Kyoto and/or Tokyo. The bulk of my trip will be in Tokyo for now.
Yeah, Kenshin had a whole Kyoto act, but it was more historical anw and I feel it didn't explore the city that much (more of a ruined city)
Really, only uchoten Kazoku, tatami galaxy and durarara come to mind. Are you planning to go to Osaka as well? I heard from my friend Osaka is about an hour drive from Kyoto only.
@Anon174851 Ah good one.
@Mike Thanks. Durarara is a good suggestion, but I haven't watched Rurouni Kenshin.
Mike
@Kaiser Sure, the story doesn't do anything for me but it's not a waste of time.
@K-Off You can do pretty much anything in Tokyo I'll bet. Anime in general aside from shows like Durarara don't emphasize the setting very much... Kyoto is more interesting, rurouni kenshin is the first thing that comes to mind.
uchouten kazoku is a really good one set in kyoto!
Haven't heard of it. Anyways, do you guys have any suggestions for favorite anime series set in Kyoto or Tokyo? I'm planning my itinerary and the idea is to take a lot of side by side comparison pictures from their anime depictions to RL. I have YuruYuri, SYD, Detective Conan, and various KyoAni spots in mind, but my brain isn't remembering others.
I'm considering finding some War/military manga to read, has anyone read Gunka no balthazar? Is it worthwhile?
@Anon164960, They announced a second season for it so they ain't done with that trainwreck yet.
Gate
So Rewrite took the "Bad End" route. Interesting. Their choice, not the show of course which was a freaking mess from start to finish.
Ah, reminding me that I have not left Ireland since 2012 when I went to Rome. Although I have floated around the idea of maybe going to Slovakia.
@Mario Thanks, although I'll be working the whole time I'm at Seoul with sundays off. Expecting about 40-50 hours of work a week. Sucks that your trip got canned, in the Winter there's no place you'd want to be other than southern California.
Congrats K-Off. Hope you enjoy the trip. I myself originally planned to go to US on this December but now the plan got wrecked. Should be fun spending Xmas in Japan especially
Got my international drivers permit from AAA today, and it also looks like I'm stuck with over half the travel fees since I've signed myself off the agency plan. It's now official, I'm going to Seoul and then spending my christmas holidays in Tokyo. Been a long time since I left the country, last time was in 2011.
That was me Mario
@Masky: it wasn't, but Gui Niao did mention the pipe has multi-purpose functions: do far he uses the pipe to write, to create a hallucination smoke, to make an actual bushfire, to open the lock, now to be a sword-pipe. What's next? To be a wifi modem? to be a boomerang? to shapeshift into an umbrella?
So Thunderbolts Fantasy :D Totally called the pipe being a sword (assuming it wasn't shown earlier and I just forgot about it)
@Anon146321, typos are hard to avoid when you write fast. What's really important to is that the point gets across, which it did.
Medium not meduim
I wonder if trolls consider people explaining why their trolling is bad a successful trolling .-. I mean, my experience is that most of trolls aren't really smartest or most creative of people, I think most of them are happy if people just talk about them.
@Anon141285, oh come on boy. Put some effort into trolling. You need to get people to actual think you believe what you are saying. Here you have already messed up because you use the old "Chinese cartoons" which is supposed to piss of anime fans because it suggests you are ignorant of the meduim but then you reference the nukes showing full well you know where they are from. You have failed.
Chinese cartoons proof that two nukes weren't enough. Or were too much depending on the perspective
oh, talking about teenage horror female movie, make sure to check out Raw whenever its available online. That is one hell of a fun cannibal ride!
my point is we tend to spend our stupid 20s phase feel like its wasted, but really it does help develop our hobby/sense/wisdom, whatever it is.
I find myself now that I've grown up wanting to punch kid characters from horror films lol
About the watching stories with younger female characters...its starting to feel like I shouldn't be or that it doesn't feel appropriate, actually sort of awkward/skeevy.
True enough. But remember that even Quentin Tarantino had his 20s basically just a movie-clerk, watched movies like a maniac and he made that classic Pulp Fiction when he was like 33
Looking back It feels dickish that I laughed reading NHK.
I mean look at Re-life, I mean ow, everyone went through that.
I think we'll find that stage where we'll get irritated by stories reminding us of our stupid 20s phases eventually just as some teenage focused anime/manga annoyingly remind us of being teens.
In terms of anime/manga, much as I'd still see myself liking NHK I could see myself getting more frustrated with the lead character now being in my early 30s.
In the past year I've been looking at hentai/ecchi imageboards not as often as I used to.
Judy Delphy and Juliette Binoche have aged surprisingly well...
Ah its less fancying/finding them attractive, moreso taking notice of them.
I can understand the others but Meryl Streep too? Man, you're aging I can tell
@Mario: Julianne Moore, Isabelle Huppert, Meryl Sreep, Susan Sarandon, Cate Blanchett.
@Kaiser: like whom if I may ask?
But I'm always interested in women issues myself so Mustang just hit me hard
Its a sign of me aging I guess too. I'm noticing older actresses too now where I wouldn't have in the past.
Looking forward to Under the Shadow too, also really keen to see how The Bad Batch would turn out to be
Strangely I've become more engaged with teen, coming-of-age films recently (well, Aku no Hana is sort of teen drama as well),but yes, old man's psyche is my thing too
@Mario: Synecdoche, the passenger, winter light, anomalisa , wild strawberries , la notte for example.
@Mario: The day is coming where drama centred around twentyboppers won't have the same level of effect on me. Had I seen buffalo 66 5 years ago I would have been all over it. Old man/middle age angst is becoming more my thing.
@Mario: I'm honestly having a harder time getting into films that focus on young girls/teenagers.
@Mario: Theres only a few upcoming films left I'm looking forward to, Elle, Valley violence, whispering star and under the shadow.
@Mario: I appreciate mustang for the issue it deals with and addresses but I felt it predictable and the drama didn't hit harshly enough. It feels like an academy/oscars film.
Kaiser: remember I mention about watching those 96 Cannes line-ups? I think I will get to watch them soon, since I downloaded all the movies already
@Kaiser: btw, you hated Mustang? It's also one of my favorite film so far.
but maybe think of it that way will make the manga more entertaining...
You see Aku no Hana as a dark comedy? haha I'm speechless
Like you Mario I don't care for heavy infodumping and that took me out of the new world.
Bebop had that problem for me in that I saw outlaw star and trigun first.
I still feel aku no hana is a guilty pleasure manga, a crazy dark comedy or maybe thats just my humour.
Hataraku had me laughing up to episode 7, while Amagi felt stale from the start.
Looking back on Baccano I still like Claire and Russo but the other characters not so much, the main series is enjoyable enough but the extra episodes hold back the score.
I've never watched Habane straight through although I have finished the series. Ghost vs ergo? Ergos final episode wrecked the show.
I thing Hataraku was a lot more consistent, but Amagi had some standout episodes. For me the OVA, the pirate ship episode and the school episode were great. "Simply put, we have to go lewder" is one of my fav quotes
How was that by the way? I never bothered to watch Amagi Brilliant Park all the way through because I felt so cynical about it after the first two episodes. Hataraku Mao Sama on the other hand was genuinely refreshing for the first half of the season.
In other news, The Eccentric Family is getting 2nd season. Now I'm filled with joy
Still feel bad to compare an 1-cour series (Baccano) to an 4-cours one. But in this case Baccano would take my cake.
I reckon The Devil is a Part Timer vs Amagi Brilliant Park would be a fun one, and I wouldn't know which would win.
Baccano vs Durarara might make a good matchup. Baccano is the better one but Durarara does seem to be more popular.
Syndrome
Yeah it is a bit obvious and they dont share much in common anyway. Just that they are two of the most well known anime out there. I enjoyed NGE more than Cowboy Bebop, but I agree on the later beeing overall a better anime.
Oh look. Berserks Manga is on Haitus again. Muira...just..at this point I ain't even mad. Just disappointed.
Well, new post on Flowers of Evil is out. Come eat it up.
@Syndrome: was thinking about that match-up (NGE vs Cowboy Bebop) but isn't it too obvious? I always intend to pick something that caught you guys off-guard haha
@Syndrome, no contest. Cowboy Bebop wins outright.
Syndrome
On a serious note, for related anime, I would be curious about something like Ergo Proxy against Ghost in the Shell
Syndrome
Go for NGE vs Cowboy Bebop and watch the world burn
Yeah, I agree it's one of the main factors, but even so From the New World had a higher grade too. But I wouldn't pick Haibane Renmei against From the New World if I didn't think it had a chance to win. Those who loved the former really loved it, while people more appreciate From the New World than actually love it. Well, can't beat the consensus I guess.
I'd say a major reason for that would be the popularity difference. On MAL, Haibane has a following of 110k people, with FTNW having 270k.
I'm personally quite disappointed with the results. Will try harder for a more competitive match-up next time
@Mario, if you say so. I say by now the victor has been decided.
@Aidan: we don't need to sticky the Versus Show again, as I will put up the Aku no Hana post tomorrow anyway
Yeah the brightness got a bit much in some places after episode 18.
I thought the brightness was done well in the episode with Rem sitting beside Subaru's bed and her smiling/crying, but yeah this was too much
@anon125687: my thought exactly. While I was watching it I thought to myself that it's too bright!!
Why do final episodes overdo the blur effect and fuzzy lighting its literally over dramatic cancer. Just let it end normally ffs
afgm
Well, it's hard, since it doesn't really feel finished, so even if you know it will eventually end well if given a chance, you can't really put your full confidence behind those bets
Got a bit long winded in that review and yet I feel like I really didn't get across what makes the series so good.
Well that's the Re:Zero review written up. I will get to work on 91 days next and maybe Prisms Illya maybe after that. Lost all entuasim after they messed up that last episode in Illya. Overall it's been pretty disappointing.
As for that twist. I think they could work it easily into a first episode. The impact would still be there for people marathoning the thing in the future and it would be a good "Oh Shit!" moment to start the second season. If they jump ahead a bit to a certain moment it would actually make for a great opener.

mob-psycho-100-12-3

Mob Psycho 100 – 12

It is a remarkably cheap tactic to pull a fake death right before the climax but that aside this acted as a decent finale to Mob Psycho. Through it’s clear that a second season is needed as the story does set up for one and sadly I doubt this has as high a chance of […]

Berserk(2016) - 12 [Those Who Cling, Those Who Struggle]

Berserk(2016) – 12 [Those Who Cling, Those Who Struggle]

I am truly sorry for the delay. I know I know … these excuses are becoming exceedingly homologous of a young student who has been procrastinating on his homework, but I give you my word, for at least what it’s worth, that this is certainly not the case. I have been preoccupied with my pet’s […]

orange 13b

orange – 13 (end)

We come to an end of orange’s ride. After teasing us for a whole season whether or not history repeats itself, they decide to go with a happy ending route. While I’m not entirely happy with orange as a whole, this double-length final episode succeeds on closing the story in high note. At the very […]

91-days-11-4

91 Days – 11

So this is it? This is the grand master plan of Avilio’s brought to full fruition? I guess it is and let me say that it’s certainly a let down. Edmond Dantes Avilio is certainly not as his plan pretty much feels like he was going along with the flow and calling it a plan. […]

Thunderbolt Fantasy 12a

Thunderbolt Fantasy – 12

Now, we just have one episode left, but things get even more intense and crazy by the minute, to the point I don’t really know how they would wrap it up neatly. At the beginning Shang Bu Shuan was mocked by Juan Can Yun that he should be titled “Edgeless Blade”, because his sword-style is […]

fate-kaleid-liner-prisma-illya-3rei-11-12-2

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei – 11-12

I will be the first to admit that this season of this series disappointed me. I still stand by my word on this being better than previous seasons of the show but watching it fold out in animation has made me begin to think I was overstating just how good it really was. Though part […]

mob-psycho-100-11-4

Mob Psycho 100 – 11

Looks like I need to eat my own words as it turns out Reigan isn’t the organization’s leader but he managed to convince the guards that he was. This was definitely Reigans finest moment as he makes use of pure deception to catch everyone off guard. He has absolutely no idea what exactly is going […]

91-days-10-4

91 Days – 10

As we near the end of 91 Days I have taken this time to really think over what this show has presented so far and I admit to be somewhat disappointed. Ultimately the ride has been solid and Studio Shuka have delivered on their promise of making a Mafia drama. However I cannot help but […]

orange 11a

orange – 12

For the first time orange manages to do something different narratively. The first half of this week’s episode tells the original timeline in Kakeru’s point of view, and with that we can understand more clearly about his emotional progress, at the same time gives us much more details about his Mom. In the original timeline, […]

[HorribleSubs] Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 18 [480p].mkv_002253.373