Posted by psgels on 30 July 2009 with categories: Umineko no Naku Koro ni

As much as I don’t care about the original visual novel, I have to admit that this episode stretched even my suspense of disbelief. Battler just acted way too weird in this episode, it just doesn’t make any sense.

So basically, the bodies continue to fall when Natsuhi commits suicide. Butterflies then appear again, Battler tries to shoot them, the eye-catch appears… and suddenly Kanon, Sharon and Natsuhi are perfectly fine and everyone acts like nothing happens! Sure, I can see how Beatrice is screwing with everyone’s mind by magically reviving everyone and all… but what happened to the others? There isn’t even a single mention of them! And besides, everyone was talking like they just returned from a Beach resort, instead of a murderous mansion.

Then Battler’s refusal to believe in the existence of witches. Sure, I believed that too until the end of the previous episode. HOWEVER he completely seemed to accept that everyone and his dog came back to life, and yet he never even questions it, and yet he doesn’t want to believe that Beatrice killed them. That just doesn’t make any sense.

Overall, I’m a bit disappointed that it really was Beatrice who killed off everyone, but let’s see what the rest of the series can do to spice things up. This show now seems to be developing into a battle of wits between Beatrice and Battler, but I wonder how the creators are going to make this interesting without making Beatrice Mary-Sueing Battler over and over.

I’m intrigued by that letter in a bottle from Maria, though. What was up with that, and could that one explain what happened to the real Maria? So that Maria was basically killed and replaced by some thing that could keep an eye around for Beatrice?

Oh boy, this really reminds me back to the first season of Higurashi. I remember how my love for that series was also as inconsistent as he series itself.
Rating: – (Disappointing)

1. chounokoe says:

I’m quite surprised that you found this episode disappointing, I highly expected an ‘Awesome’ here…but well I think it depends.

Without spoiling too much and just spicing up the interest a bit: Are you sure that Beatrice killed everyone?! What did you see and what did you not see? What was possible and what was not?
    Just like Battler doubted, is it right to say ‘It was a witch’ immedeatly after you run out of options?

2. psgels psgels says:

Yeah, I was expecting that too, but this time I guess my suspense of disbelief couldn’t keep up. I agree with Battler, actually: Jessica and the others were too quick to give up… but I’d be so too if people randomly resurrected from out of nowhere.

But now I get what you mean, yeah. There is no guarantee that Beatrice committed all of the murders. I guess what got me in this episode was the questionable way the characters behaved, rather than anything else.

3. tealovertoma says:

Haha, you and me are like opposites, psgels.

I wasn’t taking the series serious and that’s why I liked this episode, it finally managed to surprise me!

Look at the “cliffhanger” endings of the past 3 episodes, what happened in them: people were left alone… and then they died! Wow, who would have thought. You can pull it off once, but 3 times? Meh.

I didn’t like it when it was trying to take itself all serious yet give the most ridiculous and farfetched explanations with over-the-top reactions and blah blah. You say Battler was acting weird in this episode… but don’t you think *everyone* has been acting weird in *all* of the episodes? No one is acting rational, it’s all stretching beyond suspense of belief. It completely failed to impress me as serious mystery drama, so I was hoping for something out of the ordinary, and I got it now.

First episode I really enjoyed since the first one (second ep was okay).

4. Faust721 says:

This show really does cater to those who are familiar with the game. While I have not played the game (and I don’t plan too anytime soon), I did read up on how the game worked, so some things weren’t confusing.

With said, I did like this episode and am now even more excited about the rest of the show, so perhaps reading a bit on the game may make this show more enjoyable.

5. Faust721 says:

ah crap, I meant to say, “With that said”

6. tealovertoma says:

Yeah I think (despite not having read/seen source material) the main problem with episode 2 and 3 is that they rushed through them. That and characters acting weird and doing weird things.

The anime kept killing off characters I didn’t care about yet and then using their murders for… absolutely nothing. I didn’t feel much suspense.

For this anime I much prefer a more… abstract storyline, what they seem to have going on in this new arc, that you don’t know what’s real and what’s not.

7. Tess says:

After watching the first episodes… I began reading the game. When this episode aired, I had not yet read that part in the game. All I can say is… I still found today’s episode amazing, however it makes a slight bit more sense in the game. Not all that much though, since I assume, we don’t know anything yet!

My guess is we shouldn’t believe so much that the witch is the culprit, and that shouldn’t be a spoiler because I know nothing so far… Just a slightly more detailed rendition of what you know. (VN episode 1 vs. the anime adaption so far, I mean, so it’s the same material.)

I just began reading the second episode of the game… and I hope you will enjoy episode 6! I now know I will.

8. chounokoe says:

@psgels: Are you sure there were people who were ressurected? What makes you believe that anybody apart from Shanon and Kanon were dead at the time this scene was taking place?
    And what makes you believe that Beatrice commited any of the murders at all?
    Because you saw it? Remember what you saw, what you did not see.

Okay, this is more than a bit based on the fun that comes with knowing what is going to follow, but take one thing to heart ‘This is a game of wits, if you accept the witch, you already lost!’

9. Shounen A says:

I’m not even sure anyone is alive at all in the tea party scene. I’m having an image of them taking a rest in limbo before they revive and the killing starts again.

10. Veldril says:

Happy Mind-Raped!!!

If you feel the story is confusing then it’s good, because it supposes to be like that.This is only the beginning so there will a lot of questions left unanswered.

11. blkmage says:

This is where everything really starts.

Welcome to Rokkenjima.

12. Nanima says:

As a visual novel reader I found this epeisode totally awesome.
    They kept in everything important, even Bernkastel!^^
    Sure they’re acting weird to you, because they are supposed to.
    It’s really confusing at this point, even in the VN, because the reader/watcher is suddenly thrown into cold water without knowing what happened.
    Higurashi was the same with Onikakushi where suddenly everyone was back to normal after all the ‘possessed by Oyashiro-sama’ and ‘bloody murder’ stuff everyone acted like nothing was wrong, which was totally confusing for everyone.
    Battler’s role now is to prove that all these murders were done by humans which is going to be really hard when he’s surrounded by ‘magic’ and Beatrice trying to screw with his mind.
    Even those who have read all the VN don’t know yet what is real and what’s not, because we’re still in the ‘Question Arcs’.

13. Paulo says:

I think that the sequence after the eye catch was a clever way to avoid the mistake (imo) made in higurashi 1st season where the reboots just hapened without further explanation; it also served as a nice setup for what I think is going to happen next: battler is gonna try to explain the murders as caused by a human while beatrice will probably up the ante and kill in even more atrange and inexplicable ways to prove him that the culprit cannot be a human – after all, this episode implied that for beatrice to be fully revived everyone needs to believe that she exists… Of course, I say all this without knowing anything about the game or its plot , so I may be completely off chart. Btw loving this series, way better than higurashi…

14. Pitviper72 says:

Wow, somebody gave into the witch easily

Just because Beatrice is a character in the series, doesn’t mean she exists or is the culprit, buddy.

15. C Rosenkreutz says:

Is Battler’s reaction to this unbelievable situation out of character? It’s not if he doesn’t accept what’s going on. Disbelieving the evidence of your own eyes seems reasonable. If it’s not real, it’s easy to stay calm.

Maria and Battler are somewhat in character. I’m not sure about everyone else. Why do they just accept it?

I was disappointed in the same way with this scene in the visual novel.

16. Unentschieden says:

Don´t give up so fast.The biggest Problem with this episode is that the Jump from the story to the Tea Party is so aprupt.

To clarify, the visual Novel ends with the clock striking 24:00 with the “credits” rolling and the mentioning of Marias Letter (which is said to be the story from Marias PoV).

Then you are notified that you are invited by the Golden Witch and the Main menu contains now a Option called “Tea Party” which is basically where everyone discusses the game like actors discussing a movie their just shot.

After reading that the main menu gains “???” which is the part with Bernkastell.

Its slightly less confusing because it´s clearer that the Tea Party isn´t part of the “real” story but more in the real of “TIPS”.

You could think of the “Tea Party” as a inseries Forumdiscussion of the Story. The next episode should make the premise of the series clearer.

17. Kanao says:

Damn, there wasn’t any comments when I read this post earlier but I had to go to work. Hope you still read this.

“As much as I don’t care about the original visual novel”
    I’m not sure what to make of this statement. You completely don’t care about the source material from which this adaption is being adapted (in a glossed-over manner)? As someone that watches as much anime as you do, how can it make sense to totally shun an entire medium of story-telling? Especially seeing as you suggest you enjoy excellent characters and interaction, a speciality of Visual Novels?

Personal opinion on the episode: average. Better than episode 1, 2 (which I was disappointed in), not as good as 3 and better than 4 (back to disappointment). The presentation of the meta-world was nothing special (and clearly confusing to anyone new to Umineko) but it wasn’t horrible. I absolutely loathe the character designs and the addition of Beatrice’s horrible design and voice acting just irritated me further.

And I have to say that a lot of things you found confusing and nonsensical is, again, a fault of the adaption. The second half of the episode takes place in a meta-world which exists for the sole purpose of convincing Battler that magic exists. This meta-world and the characters inside it oversee each loop as it is played out (like a game of chess). George, Jessica, etc. are presumably just ‘magic-exists’/given up versions Beatrice created in attempt to get Battler to surrender.

If you have no intention of ever reading it then you should probably give up attempting to make sense of the anime.

18. JR says:

As others have said, I think you got the wrong impression of the second half of the episode. No one was resurrected. The second half took place in purgatory (which was stated in the visual novel) and not the real world, which was why Beatrice could be standing right and front of him, and yet Battler still could deny her existence in the world of Rokkenjima.

19. Pitviper72 says:

^ I disagree with Kanao, the adaption is not at fault, and the VN readers were almost just as confused by this turn of events as many anime-viewers are

I think this anime is presenting things very well, and giving almost the same feeling as the VN did.

You can indeed make sense of the anime, but you have to give it time to develop. This next arc will set the tone of the series from this point on, so get ready for a fun ride.

20. Paulo says:

So it seems that I’ve fallen like a duck to the red herring, based on the comments… Still, now that I know the nature of the tea party in the visual novel, I cant help but love even more this anime for including it – as I said before, it works as a good setup for the reboot (even if my theories about the next “game” were completly wrong).

As for the visual novel, i don’t think that a lot of people have played it (is there any english version?), and i personally would never play it while the anime is being broadcasted – I really wanna see what’s gonna happen next and not be spoiled.

21. Kanao says:

“You completely don’t care about the source material from which this anime* is being adapted (in a glossed-over manner)?”
    -mistyped.

Also, I forgot to mention that everything that happens in the second half of the episode is unrelated to anything that actually happened in the first loop (aka Episode 1). It is actually an (plot essential) ‘extra’ that you unlock after you finish reading the Episode. The bit with the Rika lookalike is also an extra. The director is an idiot for not showing it as being separate in any way as it really screws up the story telling.

In the visual novel Episode 1 ends when the final four (Battler, George, Jessica and Maria) burst through the door and find Natsuhi’s dead body. Then Maria says congratulations to Beatrice and tells them to look at the clock hitting midnight. There’s no stupid attempts at shooting golden butterflies because Battler never sees magic with his own eyes. There’s a kind of credits roll listing all the deaths (including the final characters being assumed dead) and it gives you some text from Maria’s letter.

There is no reason at all to believe that Beatrice killed everyone in Episode 1.

22. Kanao says:

“As for the visual novel, i don’t think that a lot of people have played it (is there any english version?)”

Actually, a lot of people have. It’s fully translated in English. http://www.witch-hunt.com. Also the highest-scoring Visual Novel on vndb.org at the moment. http://vndb.org/v24

“I cant help but love even more this anime for including it”

It’s impossible to tell the story without including it so it’s not worth praising.

“In addition, Kanao’s comment contains spoilers for future episodes that serve the purpose of making a bit of sense of what happened this episode”

No it doesn’t. I haven’t said anything that isn’t obvious simply from reading Episode 1 – the part that’s been adapted.

23. Pitviper72 says:

24. Kanao says:

“At this point, I think we VN readers should just shut up and let the guy enjoy his anime

He already said he doesn’t care for the VN, and he’s just going to take in the anime for what it is (which, in my opinion, is a faithful adaption so far), so a lot of these comments are pretty pointless.”

Disappointment isn’t the same as enjoyment. All I’ve done is point out something – that totally messed up his perception of the story – is actually misinterpreted due to poor directing. Did you read his post? He’s got the idea that the second half is actually straight after the first half. When I watched it, it was fine because I knew it was separate. But looking at it from another perspective, it’s confusing as hell.

Many visual novel readers that have absolutely no problem with the adaption are simply filling in all the blanks subconsciously. If you’ve been reading anime-only viewer’s impressions, a lot of things that were explained have been ignored in the adaption. I’m not saying it’s a ‘bad adaption’ as they have a hell of a lot of content to get through, but ‘at least they’ve got all of the important bits’ doesn’t mean a lot isn’t being left out.

25. windy says:

Yeah, I have the same opinion , this episode was a bit disappointing, also because in the middle we have the already dead characters that come back from the dead as if nothing happened, then casually talk about their death, if in Higurashi , it was tackled in a more subtle way ( most of the characters lost the memories of their previous life and the effect produced was quite awesome and enigmatic), here we have the impression the characters are just fooling around and playing some weird half detective half poltergeist game and just acting ,it just goes nowhere, no , it gives us the answer : “Beatrice actually does exist since we saw her talking casually with the characters then with the other witch (why?)who looks like the witch we’ve seen at the end of the 2nd season of Higurashi, it is her, isn’t it? And Battler went quite hysterical and showed some comical act, ranting that witches don’t exist and even if I can see one, they’re just tricks made and orchestrated by humans. I was so fond of this series so far, but they’d better review the storyline because here we trip overboard. I hope this episode has some good purpose for having the characters goofing around like this.

26. Juni says:

They took out all my favorite parts of the “tea party” scenes, so it was a bit disappointing for me too.

27. Pitviper72 says:

It’s because it isn’t “explained” until the 2nd Arc…

I do agree that there wasn’t really much of a distinction is separating the actual episode from the tea party, but honestly… it’s not that big of a deal…

The tea party is supposed to be confusing, and then, based on what you see later, you develop an understanding of what you saw.

28. Pitviper72 says:

(My last comment was in response to Kanao)

29. Veldril says:

Overboard? This is just a child play! Compare to what to come next, this mind-raping is not even 1/10th of what to come.

30. Pitviper72 says:

Correcting myself:
    You’re blaming peoples confusion on bad directing, Kanao, but the story itself is confusing at that point, so I don’t think it’s entirely to blame on how the director handled it

31. Kanao says:

“You’re blaming peoples confusion on a bad adaption, but honestly, the story itself is confusing at that point, I don’t see it being the adaption at all.”

Since it says things like ‘Episode I-V’ anyway it should have said ‘Episode I-V END’ while doing the screen for the mid-episode break. Then opened the second half with ‘Episode I Tea Party’ or something. I just reread the actual Tea Party in the game and it was awesome. Do so yourself and tell me there’s no difference.

Also, in the actual Tea Party it may have been slightly confusing but there are hints right there as to what’s going on. The fact that it’s actually a separate extra makes all the difference to the belief that it’s somehow ongoing and a couple characters came back to life.

The game made it clear in the Episode 1 end-credits that all the characters were dead. In the anime you really don’t feel like the last four characters died at all. You select an ‘extra’ story called a Tea Party and the characters are happily discussing what happened in the Episode.

The problem is in the way it’s put across. On one hand (anime) it feels like a direct continuation and is beyond confusing. On the other (VN) it feels like a side-story.

32. Kanao says:

“Since it says things like ‘Episode I-V’ anyway it should have said ‘Episode I-V END’ while doing the screen for the mid-episode break. Then opened the second half with ‘Episode I Tea Party’ or something”

Thinking about it, it may even have made a lot more sense if, instead of showing someone finding a letter in a bottle, they copied the VN and had some scrolling text explaining the end of the Episode before opening to the Tea Party.

33. Pitviper72 says:

It would surely seem clearer if they handled it like that, but I’m saying that anime viewers will come to somewhat “understand” it later, when the series’ setup begins to become more clear, so it’s not TOO big of a deal…

(And, I did read the end of Episode I and the Tea Parties shortly before the episode aired)

Anyway, I don’t think there’s much use in continuing this discussion any further…

34. windy says:

Yes, it was very confusing for me, I haven’t gone through the visual novel and can’t compare but in “Higurashi”, we had a certain continuation with some parts changing here and there, maybe this would also follow its footsteps later on, I hope so because in the first one we had it clear that the characters were doomed to die then revive all the time due to the wheel of fate, and what was more realistic in a certain way is that they didn’t remember anything but here seeing the characters being aware of their previous deaths just doesn’t fit right in, that’s what I feel and then seeing the witch calling herself Beatrice appearing out of nowhere just for teasing the main character seems also out of place and makes the fabulous mystery that we were right into lose its effect.

35. C Rosenkreutz says:

If there’s going to be a supernatural deus ex machina in a mystery series, it’s much better to bring it out in the beginning rather than wait until the last episode. I can think of a few anime that would have been better doing this.

It doesn’t look good in any medium. Arguably, the anime version is more honest as it doesn’t try to hide that it makes no sense.

Just be glad that we don’t have to wait months for the next episode at this point with the anime.

36. Camario says:

I thought it was slightly confusing at first, but even as someone who had only watched the anime so far, it seemed implicit that we aren’t supposed to take everything at face value precisely because Beatrice is trying to force Battler to do so.

At this point the show seems to be taking off into a more meta direction, which isn’t necessarily bad, but it definitely changes the rules and for that reason I wouldn’t attempt to make sense out of everything right now.

Even the leaps of logic the characters make might be a little too sudden for the viewer, so it’s best to wait and see how things develop.

Other than that, the episode was interesting and entertaining enough. I’d really like to see what can they come up with next.

37. vic says:

YOU THINK THAT BEATRICE WAS THE CULPRIT? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Everyone lost at the beggining of the history, ONLY because beatrice shows up and say se made everything you think she is the culprit? did you really see higurashi? the culprit were aliens and oyashirosama like rena thought in her arc?????

YOU HAVE TO KNOW THAT

Those who enjoy stupid puzzles that are made to be solved can leave now.

Umineko no Naku Koro ni is the worst kind of tale, created without any intention of letting all of you solve it.

I really cant’ beleive how wrong the review of this episode was, i didn’t read the visual novel but i saw higurashi and IT’S OBVIOUS that all that we see IS NOT THE REAL THING and i also think that the culprit is human, I REALLY EJOY THIS EPISODE IS WAS AMAZING AND AN ICNREDIBLE MINDRAPE, i think that the tea part was all a show to made battler surrender but i don’t know why.

btw BERKANSTEL IS RIKA???????????

38. Kanao says:

Umineko: Episode 1 – Witch’s Tea Party: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg9WDP2UkHw&feature=channel_page

This is the original scene (from the VN) where Beatrice and Bernkastel converse. The final couple of minutes of the anime episode. The quality isn’t great and the text appears smoothly in the actual game but it’s good. A better example would be the actual Tea Party extra but I can’t find it on youtube. Anyone want to record it? Or recommendations on how I could record it myself in good quality?

39. kaboom says:

It’ll make more sense once they get farther into the second arc, trust me. (although the entire thing is still a bit contradictory by nature)

Next episode won’t help you much at all, I’m afraid, but it will be very fun. LOL.

40. windy says:

I also believe that someone is behind all this, that’s obvious enough but even so that doesn’t exclude the existence of the witch Beatrice herself because Hanyu was the reincarnation of Oyashiro sama, if I’m not wrong? So, we clearly saw here two witches talking together about the “big plot” or events that will take place, didn’t we? Now someone else is undoubtfully pulling the strings behind the curtains, the question is who is it?! That’s what will be unravelled further on but this episode sounded like a play where the actors themselves overplay their characters, now the four previous episodes were pure awesomeness and this one wasn’t bad ,just under the level, it remains one of the best shows of the season anyway.

41. Rui Brennan says:

My own view on the series (which is neither canon nor valid) that can help on enjoying the anime is the following: The ‘souls’ of the dead are gathering in the purgatorio (“metaworld”, as known in the VN) and discussing about their own deaths. All the people thinks that the witch killed everyone (ey, maybe they will be revived if they think like that) but battler is stubborn and does not really think that a witch killed them all. So the witch shows herself and, from this point on, will try to “convince” the soul of battler (“meta-battler” in the VN) that she exists – so she can become a real being in the real world.

Welcome to Rokkenjima, and enjoy the battle with the witch! did she really existed in the real world and killed everyone. Is she lying so she can exist? Is up to meta-battler (and you) to decide!

42. Westlo says:

I don’t know why people are surprised psgels thought Beatrice was behind the murders.. this is the same person who thought Alto died at the end of Episode 24 of Macross Frontier.. he’s ah gullible lol.

That said Beatrice exists Uuuuuuuuuu!

43. chounokoe says:

I think all that this bickering leads to is for psgels to drop the anime at one point or the other.
    It’s one thing to point out little details within the already aired episodes, but always saying ‘But in the VN! But in the VN!’ is not going to help, neither is calling him gullible or stupid bringing him any closer to enjoying it. So let’s just refrain from using the comments as ANOTHER battleground for anime vs. visual novel wars…in the end I think this is one of the few readable blogs about Umineko (being neither unreflected praise or just plain hate).

44. Machi says:

@chounuokoe: Agreed big time. While I haven’t watched this episode, and have no knowledge of the Visual Novel, I certainly don’t think it would help in appreciation to simply boil it down to ‘But in the VN! But in the VN!’. And in this case with the comments its just boiled down to just that, with disbelief being suspended in favor of knowledge beforehand.

45. vic says:

i didn’t play the visual novel but i also think psgels made a horrible review XD i just can’t beleive how simple is his logic BEATRICE KILL EVERYONE SHE EXISTS I SEE HER AGAIN IN THE PREVIEW FOR THE NEXT EPISODE WTF like i said before, the culprit were aliens and oyashirosama like rena thought in her arc????? NO in complex animes like this we have to use our brains that’s what i love from umineko and what i love from episode 5 WE HAVE TO THINK in my opinion beatrice didn’t kill everyone but well i have to wait what happen next.

PD: psgels didn’t even mention the appearence of bernkanstel =P

46. windy says:

Who is Bernkanstel anyway?

47. chounokoe says:

@windy: Just wait and see, there is still so much more to come.
    At this point she is just an enigmatic witch, who enjoys teasing Beatrice.

48. vic says:

@windy: to know that you need to see AT LEAST the ova 4 from higurashi rei.

49. Machi says:

Just watched the episode… Odd that people say that you fail if you believe in witches but then you get that totally odd scene that comes up from no where that in a sense proves their existence, or it could just be bad writing. Namely the second tea party that obviously is outside the domain of any of the sight of the survivors. Course you could just discount the entire 2nd half as a dream but that scene still stands as an anomaly to any logic. Simply put that scene just shouldn’t be there.

50. superseaslug says:

It is obvious that witches do exist. Now if the murders on Rokkenjima were done by a witch, that’s a completely different story. And I think I understand Battler’s refusal in believing that his whole family was butchered by something as ridiculous as a witch.

51. vic says:

clap clap superseaslug i was waiting for someone intelligent here.

52. windy says:

Bernkanstel was a witch that traveled through different worlds and has been living for a thousand years, isn’t it ? I didn’t realize at first glance that “Umineko no naku koro ni” would be so linked to “Higurashi” in every single way, there’s a kinda ” Tsubasa- xxx holic” link between them.

53. Westlo says:

“neither is calling him gullible or stupid bringing him any closer to enjoying it. ”

He is gullible, just look at his comments for any romance anime he has followed. One ep Girl A has won for sure and than the next ep no it’s Girl B! Also he seems to fall for character deaths so often it’s not funny.

54. Larien says:

I don’t get this show at all… I mean, WTF is going on?

I really hate Maria – it’s so unlike me to hate a kid, but she is so obnoxious that it’s almost unbearable. And like you said in an earlier post, she’s so blatantly nuts and evil and NO ONE SEES IT.

I dunno I’m thinking of dropping this show, I don’t like it anymore.

55. Yumi says:

This is what happens when you grow up watching under the influence of Disney and Looney Tunes; the dumbing down of your thought process with simple, linear storylines.

Anyone with a brain would figure out that if the writer was Ryukishi07, the same person who concocted the masterpiece called Higurashi, would have plot twists. Have you learned nothing from his writing style? If it’s the introduction to the series (Higurashi: Onikakushi-hen, Umineko: Episode I-I~V) you need to take what’s been given to you with a grain of salt! Just because K1 saw Mion and Rena trying to inject him with a syringe doesn’t mean it really happened. Just because you saw Beatrice appear doesn’t mean witches exists.

56. Nanima says:

I just found a great article on this episode, which I think will clear some things up for anime viewers:
    (WARNING: DO NOT READ THIS UNLESS YOU WATCHED HIGURASHI AT LEAST UNTIL REI EPISODE 4)

This was NOT written by me.

57. windy says:

to vic: In Higurashi, ” Oyashiro sama or aliens like you say” didn’t appear and announce they killed everyone either, if you compare the two , you have to take that into account.

Btfo Alexander of Russia OMO.
hahaha YES The peoples will has been mentioned in golden kamuy, excellent.
@Mario: She's a coin toss with me .
Made some changes. Try joining again.
SuperWooper
The Discord button works for me, Anon. I'll bring it up with Aidan to see if there's anything we can do on our end.
Ok LOGH episodes 10 and 11 were quite good, and it hit me harder than the original on how much talent the alliance lost at Armistar. That said episode 10 at the end showed a major problem with rendition which is long filling shots (in this case the imperial fleets taking flight).
The Discord "Join Server" button leads me to an "Invite Invalid" page, and from there to: https://support.discordapp.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001556852
I'm thinking of catching Maquia in theater as well. I'm not too hot on Mari Okada but every anime releases in global cinema should be a cause for celebration
Part of me is considering seeing Maquia , anime films don't get shown over here often, I feel I should support the cinema releases.
That was essentially my concern, that the writers would muck up Yuri's decision and create some hole in the story. Though they definitely need to commit to killing him off now.
I had a suspicion it would happen Amagi. I figured it would be a question of Yuri's character which way he went, even if I suspected this would be his choice
@Lenlo & Kaiser: I expected this to happen. I was only unsure because I didn't know how deeply integrated Yuri's gear was. It's the only good way to conclude his character arc and the series as a whole. Kinda hope that all those "die"-death-hints are actually just a metaphor for the death of gears and the commercialised power-augmentation in sports.
@Aidan: yeah and they're overinterpreting stuff. When you really love a series and watch it 10+ times you'll notice things nobody else will ever see and things that are most likely not even there or at least not planned. Then they see a sequel or somethign for the first time and of course they won't see the same 100 hints and deepnesses they believe to see in the original
Alright. Personally, I am pumped for Megalo Box's finale. I am so glad I was right in what Yuri did. It was great at building it up. Heres hoping it doesnt throw it away next week
Like that's what really annoys me about Evangelion fans. The way they talk about the show, they assume that Anno was completely aware of the impact the series would have from the start and planned every intricate detail to perfection regardless of importance. But that's not just untrue by opinion, but is objectively proven untrue.
@Amagi, There are some legitimate complaints like the audio Muxing not being great. But I hear stuff like the original character in the first season being SO much deeper and think "What?". If it's one thing that really annoys me, it's when people start talking about a show like it's a planned masterpiece.
Risky move there by Yuri in megalobox ep12.
Sometimes the voice acting isn't good in both versions, Elfen lied and the original flcl didn't have great voice acting either in English or Japanese.
I got into the habit some years ago of watching most anime with dual audio because I used to do short reviews once upon a time and switching back and forth between subs and dub while marathoning a show gave me best of both and I could talk about both the English and Japanese versions when reviewing.
I usually don't even watch dubs but considering that there is no other option here (yet) I did it and think it's pretty good, especially Haruko.
@Aidan: Was thinking the exact same thing about FLCL. I fail to see how the original is much different than the sequel. For me it's pretty much the same thing - they tried to keep the style but change the frame to avoid copying it 100%. I enjoy the new series and love the characters.
Dubs pretty good. Watched it dubbed myself.
Probably a good thing then that I haven't seen the original in a long time then, which I thought was alright but got better as it went along. How is the dub? Only the dub is out as far as I looked on Nyaatorrents.
Alright, finished the 3 episodes out. I enjoyed it. It was a fun watch. But I gotta say that the reaction online is rather annoying. I see the original series getting placed on a higher and higher pedestal. Part of the reason I may be enjoying this series is because I didn't examine the previous series under a mircoscope and pretty much acknowledge that it was just a animators showcase.
@Aidan: Probably not as GREAT as Onizuka though.
So I started watching the new FLCL and let me say that this new teacher is the greatest teacher I have ever seen.
Don't think it's on Netflix. Though I think that Stardust crusaders is airing dubbed.
Is this series on Netflix? It was always one of the few anime that were very popular in the West while still airing weekly and with subs (and despite the fact that we didn't even have the manga in the West)
Man that's awesome. Also I have to admit that part 6 is probably my favorite so it's great to know that they'll most likely animate everything.
What the hell
JoJo's part 5 anime announced and it's about goddamn time.
Id agree to that. Im mostly interested in where it goes after what looked like a pretty final ending. Im guessing timeskip of some kind, or World Line switch
I didn't think any of the drama in this episode rung false.
Pretty satisfied with steins;gate this week, kept things moving and the stilted style of the show didn't get in as much the way of the setpiece that was in this episode.
I'm quite surprised by how I've gotten over a 100 chapters in and Asirpa hasn't been fanserviced explicitly.
HH Holmes had a death hotel actually.
Actually I think one of the criminals was based on a real person.
The author really likes referencing real people to, Bonnie and Clyde , Ed Gein, some American agriculturist and the inventor of some refile .
Its very true that golden kamuy does get goofier and thats true for the manga also, though theres a prisoner weirder than the one in episode 11 he does advance the plot further. One of the soldiers gets some backstory too. Sometimes the goofiness works but at others doesn't.
I'm watching the new FLCL and planning to review it once it's done. Maybe.
In my quest and love of historical manga I wound up running into this, these guys are translating it over at their site: https://blog.manga.club/blog/mangaclub-blog-vol-10-jose-rizal-serialization/
Not yet, no. Plannin on it this weekend
There are three episodes of the new flcl out. I haven't seen it yet and its been ages since I saw the original, has anyone watched any of the new series?
I can understand that. Anything less than a 3 I often dont finish/deem worthy even being talked about. In anime or movies.
Its too hard to give 1/5s or 2/5s.
Despite my complaints I gave it a 3/5.
....feck sorry about that. I didn't think anyone else on here would have been interested =< Thanks for removing it.
Come on Kaiser, even if I didn't get anything out of it doesn't mean that other people won't. Best not to put a big spoiler on the front page of the site.
Just deleting a spoiler there.
That production company tend to do quite poor trailers that misrepresent their films.
I would probably punch someone for laughing/talking during a horror film though.
Babadook did the grief horror better. Though honestly my favourite horrors this year weren't American ones.
Upgrade might end up being more fun, which is an action horror comedy.
@Aidan: While terribly schmalzy and lacking a proper ending, quiet place had a better idea and atmosphere.
@Aidan: In the end it just felt like comparisons to Rosemary's baby and the Exorcist hurt the film. I just thought it was an awkward mix of commercial and indie horror. Like a lesser version of the conjuring.
@Aidan: I didn't laugh but I also couldn't really feel it/connect with it.
@Aidan: I also disliked how it answered its questions and story rather than leaving stuff unexplained and the actual exposition in the last act was quite awkward.
@Aidan: I saw it on Thursday, it doesn't live up to the witch or even it comes at night. On one hand I appreciate limiting the jumpscares and gore, going more for atmosphere and character drama. Toni Collette and Gabriel Byrne kind of hold it together for me. But the two kids, like in most horror films were awful.
Just seen Hereditary. The so called scariest film since The Exorcist.
So scary that people in the cinema were laughing.
I've been playing Hollow Knight on Switch. It's perhaps the longest metroidvania game I've ever played. The game has a nonlinear progression with a lot of optional areas, which add wonder to the somber and mysterious tone of the game.
I also like how much Nagai overstylizes, overdesigns his characters.
Not that its abandoned its comedic elements.
@Sash: The twin tailed girl got impaled and its gone in a somewhat darker direction yes.
Sash
apparently cutie honey is getting devilman vibes.. haven't watched it though so take this with a grain of salt
@Lenlo: Somewhere in my head is an image of Baraka from mortal combat in the same picture as Himiko Toga.
Hero Aca, still my favorite Shounen.
Just got the Re:zero Blu-ray a whole ten days before it's officially released. Gotta be the first to see the dub.
Yeah. Her whole scene was terrible. As much as I loved Maho in a pando costume, it should have stopped there. We didnt need the groping.
FERRIS NYAN-NYAN OmO kill it, kill it with muh-fire, kill it with muh-fire.
Also, Megalobox, hot damn. I love it. I love it all. Mmmm I cant wait.
Partly, yeah. Im mid writeup for it. Suffice to say the fan-service was... alittle awkward to me
Filler episode of Steins; gate this week.
I cant wait to see it, ive heard good things
Damn I love Megalobox so much it's my favorite series this season.
I can't wear a suit to work everyday
*wotaku's
You are now aware that you un-intentionally stealth cosplay as watoki's protagonist each time you go to work.
Pretty sure Psgels is paying to keep the site up but it's not a sum that one would consider significant. Site is dirt cheap.
I've thought about using MPC as an extra player, while mainly using vlc, but vlc can be buggy for me sometimes in that it lags and pixelates the video often , I've used MPC on videos that vlc bugs-out on and they work better.
Out of curiosity, what videoplayer (example media player, realplayer, winamp, vlc, mediaplayer classic)do all of you use for watching anime?
You silly old people
lol how do you think I feel, I've been at this for 20 years =P
All these "confessions" just underline how old we all are; and still keep on that stupid hobby after all those years :))
I first visited the site around 2009, 2010 but was pretty much a lurker until I started writing for the site.
As far as I know, psgels gave the admin privilege for K-Off and Aidan, and it's K-Off who pays for the site now (other admins pls confirm)
Of course I have no idea how much it costs to keep the blog up, he could always end up stopping paying for it if he needed to cut costs.
I'm actually curious in estimating how much longer the blog has left. Obviously psgels must be still paying to keep the site up, but he is, of course only mortal.
The blog began in 2005, but I started reading it in 2009, began posting on the chatbox in 2010.
I wonder which weekly review was the first one I've read on psgels. I remember .hack//roots but not sure if it was the first one. Could very well be the case, though.
Nevermind, despite being an old as shit reader I never actually read the whole text of the about-part.
How old is this blog anyway? I am a regular reader since 2006 or something although it was only recently that I started talking here.
Oh I know all about that Kaiser. It was amazing to read about
Raggers
Wow, this is still going? Good on you guys
*wiki article
@Lenlo: Read the cultural impact of the original ashita no Joe on the youtube article, Japanese actually mass mourned him
Some writers just know how to get an un-explainably effective rhythm going.
I always struggle with commenting/reviewing mood pieces and slice of life mood pieces especially, even when I finish something in the genre sometimes I'll go "I don't understand why this worked so well for me, why wasn't it boring?"
Anonymous2194677
Microsot E3 Press Conference was nuts, they showed too many games.
Hey guys, I made/edited my very first video about a show I greatly love, hope you'll give it a watch too:

Yeah, and an NES prequel to Bloodstained Ritual of the Night launched a couple of weeks ago. And while easier than NES castlevanias it's quite fun. Also very cheap only $10.
Alas, I've not kept up much with the videogame scene in a number of years. I know there's a spiritual successor to castlevania being made though.
Sorry Nightmare Creatures its what it's called.
Actually come to think of it, the 64 games probably had more vampires than the others I played.
Have you played the game that inspired this Castlevania? Deadly Creatures?
Never did get round to playing as Henry though.
I remember the garden stage being especially frustrating as Schneider because of how slow he moved.
Also that game demands you to play on normal or higher to play beyond that nitro stage.
I remember having to finish the game in a day because I was saddled with constantly rubbish memory cards for my N64.
Sorry, I post fast and long so some of what I say probably might get missed/skimmed over.
Actually I did mention it, called it the nitro stage.
Still I think despite the flaws it's has become fun for me because I surprisingly get better each time I play it. and last time I make the game chug because of how fast I was progressing.
Yeah. But I'm surprised you don't mention the worst part. The Nitro and Mandragora level. In which you have to go across several rooms without jumping.
@Anon: I remember the game punishes you for using the item seller guy too much aswell.
I remember the mansion level being creepy back then.
But the werewolf thing was pretty rad.
And then there was that crumbling labyrinth stage. I remember on hard mode you have to fight the chainsaw gardener too.
The art tower stage is also annoying if you run out of day/night cards.
Also it wouldn't let you finish it properly if you took too long.
@Anon: The N64 castlevanias have so many flaws, weird controls , bad camera , the day and night feature is kind of cool but it also puts a timer on things and certain parts become a pain because of it. They had frustrating bits too like the ice castle part with the weird jump sections and the nitro carrying stage.
Lords of Shadow was another IP the developer had to accomodate into a known IP kinda like Star Fox Adventures.
The other Castlevanias I haven't played are Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness. LoS was ok but very long. and it's interquel Mirror of Fate put me off playing LoS2.
I haven't played that one. Seems like a mixed bag. Like Zelda 2 or Metroid 2.
I've seen playthroughs of simon's quest, but we all know why thats a notorious mess.
Castlevania 64 and Legacy of Darkness are also my guilty pleasures. I think if Konami still made Castlevanias it would have tried aping the Souls type of gameplay.
I remember some very very silly voice acting and dialogue in symphony of the night.
I preferred when they were just platform games. Later ones incoperated level up elements if I recall.
After SOTN I think the game coming closer to that greatness is Order of Ecclesia if anything it keeps the difficulty of the classic Castlevanias and puts it in the Metroidvania formula. It has a platforming challenge level that's very satisfying to play.
I've played most of them. Castlevania 3 is a very tough game, but that also makes the journey feel long and rewarding. Rondo of Blood feels like the cornerstone of the series since it's the Castlevania that got most of it's sprite reused in later games.
Reminds me, the game, clocktower is vaguely inspired by an old Italian horror film.
And symphony of the night.
I actually feel I should have played more castlevania back in the day, I've played bloodlines, castlevania 4, Dracula X, legacy of darkness, admittedly the last one isn't a good game and is more of a guilty pleasure.
They could still meet Grant in the Clocktower.
I wonder if the second season will be the journey to the castle like in the game. And the third season is entirely in the castle.
Already a season 3 announced.
Oh god yes. I cant wait
New netflix castlevania episodes out next month.
Was going to mention that. Wish more shows would do o.
Yeah, a lot of plot threads are converging and I like it. My favorite part though was Iglesias and their commitment to non-japanese languages. They were good!
*his bit
@Lenlo: Glad that sachio gets hit bit of backstory and that its well connected to the rest of the overall plot.
Alright Megalo Box was pretty good this week. So much to say
Indeed the Alliance system is atypical of mass democracy. There seem to be no organised parties and lists. Instead administrations seem to be formed on a personalist basis(me and my chums). And the Assembly seems to have very weak powers of oversight. A very flawed institutionally system. But I digress . It is still anime and even from Tanaka I do not expect deep discussion of democratic politics
I mean if two of 9 ministers in an administration resigned in any current representative/competitive election system it would be a big news and embarrassment to the goverment. My guess is that they were blackmailed to stay on, or were too afraid of the war party.
busy weeks (finals and deadlines). Watched the latest LOGH:NT episode. It was ok. A bit dry, but so are many of the episodes of NT or the Original on their own. One think it led me to think is that neither the books , nor the OVA, nor NT explain why Rebelo/Lebello and Huang Rui (the two politicians opposed to the Invasion of the Empire) did not resign in opposition. (Turnhit also opposed but..)
I think its cause of Daru's voice. Hes so overt about it and his voice makes it so clear hes not really being serious about any of that, cause it completely changes when hes talking serious subjects
@Kaiser: Yeah I am watching CCS but funny enough I fell behind too, so it might be someone else you're thinking of
Always felt that Daru strikes a hit when it comes to pervy/otaku characters. Most of them tend to be incredibly annoying.
This episode was nice and chill while still moving stuff forward. I enjoyed it. It does seem like we are hitting the main conflict though, with Amadeus and Maho
@Lenlo: I feel with this episode the plot is really moving along now.
@Kaiser, Thats the question aint it? How to savem both? We know he does, cause of the original, but alot happens along the way. Its a great ride

Hisone to Masotan – 11 [The Sky of Montparnasse and the Trash Girl]

What’s there to say about HisoMaso? I’ll be blunt but I see this whole final arc a missed opportunity. It builds from neat ideas, but the way the show creates and resolves its conflicts are hammy at best. Take the two main struggles this episode: Hisone decided to quit the job altogether and the grandma […]

Hinamatsuri – 12 [Snow Festival]

And so it ends, but it feels much more like a beginning chapter for the next arc. feel studio opens up for the possibility of next season here, by bookending Mao’s 3-year-later arc. Although I love little Mao with her kungfu storyline, I still feel it’s devoid from the content of Hinamatsuri has established so […]

Megalo Box – 12 [Leap Over the Edge of Death]

Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to the hypest episode of the season, as Megalo Box lays everything on the table for next week’s finale. Lets just jump right into it. Megalo Box has a lot going on this week. We saw the return of multiple characters and got updates on their lives. We were shown backstories […]

Steins;Gate 0 – 11 [Pandora of Forgotten Existence -Sealed Reliquary-]

Welcome to Steins;Gate 0, this week with the most “final” middle of a series episode ever. We have drama, we have guns, we even have probable time skips! Lets jump in. This was an overall solid episode. It tried to wrap up, or tie together, a lot of plot threads and resolve character arcs before […]

Golden Kamuy – 11 [Everybody, Get Together! It’s a Murder Hotel!]

Welcome to Bates hotel!! Alright, make no mistake, this is the funniest episode of Golden Kamuy we will ever have. Still dark, have very little to do with the main plot, but it’s spooky fun. Even trashy fun with all the dick jokes. This is Golden Kamuy at its loosest shape. Which is not a […]

Hisone to Masotan – 10 [Melting in Love]

Pretty visual aside, I wonder how much fuel left for this aircraft before it runs out of ideas. HisoMaso has never been a show with detailed world building, or even thick plot to begin with, and as the usual case for me, nothing much happened in this episode. The biggest plot point of this week […]

Hinamatsuri – 11 [A Man Thirsty for Blood, Violence and Money]

The theme of this week is the kind hearts of our cast, and we have 2 parts that take the idea and go into different directions. Remember when I mentioned before how Hinamatsuri would be if Anzu takes Hina’s place? That’s exactly the idea behind the second half. I’m glad that Nitta has some major […]

Darling in the Franxx – 21[For You, My Love]

Huh…wasn’t expecting that to be resolved so quickly. So as predicted Zero Two makes it to Darling and as predicted they power up and drive off the aliens. Also as predicted Zero is is now dead…or dying…or in a coma…or in some state that leaves her dead eyes by episodes end. I admit to be […]

Megalo Box – 11 [A Deadmarch]

Incredible Megalo Box… Simply incredible. This week was perfect in every way but one, and at this point that one is easily overlooked. Let’s skip this preamble and jump right in! Megalo Box had a lot going on this week as we see the culmination of a lot of characters big arcs. Starting off, lets […]

Fate/Stay Night Heaven’s Feel – I Prestige Flower Anime Review – 90/100

We have seen an influx of Fate adaptations over the last year and sadly each has proven to be disappointing except for a cooking slice of life short series which is weirdly better than it has any right to be. This movie was the last of the Fate adaptations that I needed to see but […]

Violet Evergarden (2018 Winter) Review – 76/100

Violet Evergarden’s existence has surely been a public one. Acclaimed before everyone lick a taste of it (it was awarded for grand prize in the fifth Kyoto Animation Award’s novel category in 2014 – read, KyoAni awards), it goes without saying that Violet Evergarden is one of the most anticipated show of the sparse Winter […]

A Place Further than the Universe (Winter 2018) Review – 77/100

Cute girls doing cute things is a genre that been done to death at this point. Even within this Winter 2018 we had been overloaded with big eyes fluffy face girls doing a lot of different things of interest. It takes a standout concept or a deeper narrative to make one stand out from this […]

After the Rain (2018 Winter) Review – 89/100

I suppose that most of us, even the perministic ones, enter After the Rain (Ameagari) with some reservations. After all, the premise about a crush from an 18-year-old girl to the store manager who is nearly 30 years senior raises a lot of red flags here. Yet the show handles this tricky premise with deep […]

Kokkoku – 42.5/100

There are lots of bad anime out there, for one reason or another. Whether it be stilted animation, terrible writing or bad direction, a good portion of each season is simply not worth it. Kokkoku is not a bad anime. It is something much worse. Kokkoku is a mediocre anime. Bad ones get talked about, […]

Junji Ito Collection Anime Review – 40/100

In the realm of manga there is a man whose name is inescapable when the genre of horror is brought up. That man is Junji Ito and his work is considered legendary for its artistic detail, mastery of manga paneling and it’s outlandish imaginative concepts. Up till now his work has yet to have an […]

Yuru Camp (Winter 2018) Review – 74/100

I admit that I underestimated Yuru Camp back in its first few episodes. I took it as a standard, run-on-the-mill slice of life show and I fully expected to give it 3 episodes at max before throwing it into the deep sea of forgotten anime. But as time pass, I can certainly see many good […]

Neo Yokio – 96/100

This may be half a year overdue but I simply can’t accept that none of the writing staff of Star Crossed Anime have cover the the biggest development in anime where Netflix took a hand in producing anime in the form of Neo Yokio. Taking place in the metropolis of Neo Yokio, a mashup between […]

Devilman Crybaby – 83/100

It’s an exciting time to be an anime fan where new business models and players are making big waves within the animation industry. After debuting with the original and excellently-produced Neo Yokio, the juggernaut streaming service of Netflix has decided to revive the classic series of Devilman and gives it the full adaption treatment. By […]