Posted by psgels on 30 July 2009 with categories: Umineko no Naku Koro ni

As much as I don’t care about the original visual novel, I have to admit that this episode stretched even my suspense of disbelief. Battler just acted way too weird in this episode, it just doesn’t make any sense.

So basically, the bodies continue to fall when Natsuhi commits suicide. Butterflies then appear again, Battler tries to shoot them, the eye-catch appears… and suddenly Kanon, Sharon and Natsuhi are perfectly fine and everyone acts like nothing happens! Sure, I can see how Beatrice is screwing with everyone’s mind by magically reviving everyone and all… but what happened to the others? There isn’t even a single mention of them! And besides, everyone was talking like they just returned from a Beach resort, instead of a murderous mansion.

Then Battler’s refusal to believe in the existence of witches. Sure, I believed that too until the end of the previous episode. HOWEVER he completely seemed to accept that everyone and his dog came back to life, and yet he never even questions it, and yet he doesn’t want to believe that Beatrice killed them. That just doesn’t make any sense.

Overall, I’m a bit disappointed that it really was Beatrice who killed off everyone, but let’s see what the rest of the series can do to spice things up. This show now seems to be developing into a battle of wits between Beatrice and Battler, but I wonder how the creators are going to make this interesting without making Beatrice Mary-Sueing Battler over and over.

I’m intrigued by that letter in a bottle from Maria, though. What was up with that, and could that one explain what happened to the real Maria? So that Maria was basically killed and replaced by some thing that could keep an eye around for Beatrice?

Oh boy, this really reminds me back to the first season of Higurashi. I remember how my love for that series was also as inconsistent as he series itself.
Rating: – (Disappointing)

1. chounokoe says:

I’m quite surprised that you found this episode disappointing, I highly expected an ‘Awesome’ here…but well I think it depends.

Without spoiling too much and just spicing up the interest a bit: Are you sure that Beatrice killed everyone?! What did you see and what did you not see? What was possible and what was not?
    Just like Battler doubted, is it right to say ‘It was a witch’ immedeatly after you run out of options?

2. psgels psgels says:

Yeah, I was expecting that too, but this time I guess my suspense of disbelief couldn’t keep up. I agree with Battler, actually: Jessica and the others were too quick to give up… but I’d be so too if people randomly resurrected from out of nowhere.

But now I get what you mean, yeah. There is no guarantee that Beatrice committed all of the murders. I guess what got me in this episode was the questionable way the characters behaved, rather than anything else.

3. tealovertoma says:

Haha, you and me are like opposites, psgels.

I wasn’t taking the series serious and that’s why I liked this episode, it finally managed to surprise me!

Look at the “cliffhanger” endings of the past 3 episodes, what happened in them: people were left alone… and then they died! Wow, who would have thought. You can pull it off once, but 3 times? Meh.

I didn’t like it when it was trying to take itself all serious yet give the most ridiculous and farfetched explanations with over-the-top reactions and blah blah. You say Battler was acting weird in this episode… but don’t you think *everyone* has been acting weird in *all* of the episodes? No one is acting rational, it’s all stretching beyond suspense of belief. It completely failed to impress me as serious mystery drama, so I was hoping for something out of the ordinary, and I got it now.

First episode I really enjoyed since the first one (second ep was okay).

4. Faust721 says:

This show really does cater to those who are familiar with the game. While I have not played the game (and I don’t plan too anytime soon), I did read up on how the game worked, so some things weren’t confusing.

With said, I did like this episode and am now even more excited about the rest of the show, so perhaps reading a bit on the game may make this show more enjoyable.

5. Faust721 says:

ah crap, I meant to say, “With that said”

6. tealovertoma says:

Yeah I think (despite not having read/seen source material) the main problem with episode 2 and 3 is that they rushed through them. That and characters acting weird and doing weird things.

The anime kept killing off characters I didn’t care about yet and then using their murders for… absolutely nothing. I didn’t feel much suspense.

For this anime I much prefer a more… abstract storyline, what they seem to have going on in this new arc, that you don’t know what’s real and what’s not.

7. Tess says:

After watching the first episodes… I began reading the game. When this episode aired, I had not yet read that part in the game. All I can say is… I still found today’s episode amazing, however it makes a slight bit more sense in the game. Not all that much though, since I assume, we don’t know anything yet!

My guess is we shouldn’t believe so much that the witch is the culprit, and that shouldn’t be a spoiler because I know nothing so far… Just a slightly more detailed rendition of what you know. (VN episode 1 vs. the anime adaption so far, I mean, so it’s the same material.)

I just began reading the second episode of the game… and I hope you will enjoy episode 6! I now know I will.

8. chounokoe says:

@psgels: Are you sure there were people who were ressurected? What makes you believe that anybody apart from Shanon and Kanon were dead at the time this scene was taking place?
    And what makes you believe that Beatrice commited any of the murders at all?
    Because you saw it? Remember what you saw, what you did not see.

Okay, this is more than a bit based on the fun that comes with knowing what is going to follow, but take one thing to heart ‘This is a game of wits, if you accept the witch, you already lost!’

9. Shounen A says:

I’m not even sure anyone is alive at all in the tea party scene. I’m having an image of them taking a rest in limbo before they revive and the killing starts again.

10. Veldril says:

Happy Mind-Raped!!!

If you feel the story is confusing then it’s good, because it supposes to be like that.This is only the beginning so there will a lot of questions left unanswered.

11. blkmage says:

This is where everything really starts.

Welcome to Rokkenjima.

12. Nanima says:

As a visual novel reader I found this epeisode totally awesome.
    They kept in everything important, even Bernkastel!^^
    Sure they’re acting weird to you, because they are supposed to.
    It’s really confusing at this point, even in the VN, because the reader/watcher is suddenly thrown into cold water without knowing what happened.
    Higurashi was the same with Onikakushi where suddenly everyone was back to normal after all the ‘possessed by Oyashiro-sama’ and ‘bloody murder’ stuff everyone acted like nothing was wrong, which was totally confusing for everyone.
    Battler’s role now is to prove that all these murders were done by humans which is going to be really hard when he’s surrounded by ‘magic’ and Beatrice trying to screw with his mind.
    Even those who have read all the VN don’t know yet what is real and what’s not, because we’re still in the ‘Question Arcs’.

13. Paulo says:

I think that the sequence after the eye catch was a clever way to avoid the mistake (imo) made in higurashi 1st season where the reboots just hapened without further explanation; it also served as a nice setup for what I think is going to happen next: battler is gonna try to explain the murders as caused by a human while beatrice will probably up the ante and kill in even more atrange and inexplicable ways to prove him that the culprit cannot be a human – after all, this episode implied that for beatrice to be fully revived everyone needs to believe that she exists… Of course, I say all this without knowing anything about the game or its plot , so I may be completely off chart. Btw loving this series, way better than higurashi…

14. Pitviper72 says:

Wow, somebody gave into the witch easily

Just because Beatrice is a character in the series, doesn’t mean she exists or is the culprit, buddy.

15. C Rosenkreutz says:

Is Battler’s reaction to this unbelievable situation out of character? It’s not if he doesn’t accept what’s going on. Disbelieving the evidence of your own eyes seems reasonable. If it’s not real, it’s easy to stay calm.

Maria and Battler are somewhat in character. I’m not sure about everyone else. Why do they just accept it?

I was disappointed in the same way with this scene in the visual novel.

16. Unentschieden says:

Don´t give up so fast.The biggest Problem with this episode is that the Jump from the story to the Tea Party is so aprupt.

To clarify, the visual Novel ends with the clock striking 24:00 with the “credits” rolling and the mentioning of Marias Letter (which is said to be the story from Marias PoV).

Then you are notified that you are invited by the Golden Witch and the Main menu contains now a Option called “Tea Party” which is basically where everyone discusses the game like actors discussing a movie their just shot.

After reading that the main menu gains “???” which is the part with Bernkastell.

Its slightly less confusing because it´s clearer that the Tea Party isn´t part of the “real” story but more in the real of “TIPS”.

You could think of the “Tea Party” as a inseries Forumdiscussion of the Story. The next episode should make the premise of the series clearer.

17. Kanao says:

Damn, there wasn’t any comments when I read this post earlier but I had to go to work. Hope you still read this.

“As much as I don’t care about the original visual novel”
    I’m not sure what to make of this statement. You completely don’t care about the source material from which this adaption is being adapted (in a glossed-over manner)? As someone that watches as much anime as you do, how can it make sense to totally shun an entire medium of story-telling? Especially seeing as you suggest you enjoy excellent characters and interaction, a speciality of Visual Novels?

Personal opinion on the episode: average. Better than episode 1, 2 (which I was disappointed in), not as good as 3 and better than 4 (back to disappointment). The presentation of the meta-world was nothing special (and clearly confusing to anyone new to Umineko) but it wasn’t horrible. I absolutely loathe the character designs and the addition of Beatrice’s horrible design and voice acting just irritated me further.

And I have to say that a lot of things you found confusing and nonsensical is, again, a fault of the adaption. The second half of the episode takes place in a meta-world which exists for the sole purpose of convincing Battler that magic exists. This meta-world and the characters inside it oversee each loop as it is played out (like a game of chess). George, Jessica, etc. are presumably just ‘magic-exists’/given up versions Beatrice created in attempt to get Battler to surrender.

If you have no intention of ever reading it then you should probably give up attempting to make sense of the anime.

18. JR says:

As others have said, I think you got the wrong impression of the second half of the episode. No one was resurrected. The second half took place in purgatory (which was stated in the visual novel) and not the real world, which was why Beatrice could be standing right and front of him, and yet Battler still could deny her existence in the world of Rokkenjima.

19. Pitviper72 says:

^ I disagree with Kanao, the adaption is not at fault, and the VN readers were almost just as confused by this turn of events as many anime-viewers are

I think this anime is presenting things very well, and giving almost the same feeling as the VN did.

You can indeed make sense of the anime, but you have to give it time to develop. This next arc will set the tone of the series from this point on, so get ready for a fun ride.

20. Paulo says:

So it seems that I’ve fallen like a duck to the red herring, based on the comments… Still, now that I know the nature of the tea party in the visual novel, I cant help but love even more this anime for including it – as I said before, it works as a good setup for the reboot (even if my theories about the next “game” were completly wrong).

As for the visual novel, i don’t think that a lot of people have played it (is there any english version?), and i personally would never play it while the anime is being broadcasted – I really wanna see what’s gonna happen next and not be spoiled.

21. Kanao says:

“You completely don’t care about the source material from which this anime* is being adapted (in a glossed-over manner)?”
    -mistyped.

Also, I forgot to mention that everything that happens in the second half of the episode is unrelated to anything that actually happened in the first loop (aka Episode 1). It is actually an (plot essential) ‘extra’ that you unlock after you finish reading the Episode. The bit with the Rika lookalike is also an extra. The director is an idiot for not showing it as being separate in any way as it really screws up the story telling.

In the visual novel Episode 1 ends when the final four (Battler, George, Jessica and Maria) burst through the door and find Natsuhi’s dead body. Then Maria says congratulations to Beatrice and tells them to look at the clock hitting midnight. There’s no stupid attempts at shooting golden butterflies because Battler never sees magic with his own eyes. There’s a kind of credits roll listing all the deaths (including the final characters being assumed dead) and it gives you some text from Maria’s letter.

There is no reason at all to believe that Beatrice killed everyone in Episode 1.

22. Kanao says:

“As for the visual novel, i don’t think that a lot of people have played it (is there any english version?)”

Actually, a lot of people have. It’s fully translated in English. http://www.witch-hunt.com. Also the highest-scoring Visual Novel on vndb.org at the moment. http://vndb.org/v24

“I cant help but love even more this anime for including it”

It’s impossible to tell the story without including it so it’s not worth praising.

“In addition, Kanao’s comment contains spoilers for future episodes that serve the purpose of making a bit of sense of what happened this episode”

No it doesn’t. I haven’t said anything that isn’t obvious simply from reading Episode 1 – the part that’s been adapted.

23. Pitviper72 says:

24. Kanao says:

“At this point, I think we VN readers should just shut up and let the guy enjoy his anime

He already said he doesn’t care for the VN, and he’s just going to take in the anime for what it is (which, in my opinion, is a faithful adaption so far), so a lot of these comments are pretty pointless.”

Disappointment isn’t the same as enjoyment. All I’ve done is point out something – that totally messed up his perception of the story – is actually misinterpreted due to poor directing. Did you read his post? He’s got the idea that the second half is actually straight after the first half. When I watched it, it was fine because I knew it was separate. But looking at it from another perspective, it’s confusing as hell.

Many visual novel readers that have absolutely no problem with the adaption are simply filling in all the blanks subconsciously. If you’ve been reading anime-only viewer’s impressions, a lot of things that were explained have been ignored in the adaption. I’m not saying it’s a ‘bad adaption’ as they have a hell of a lot of content to get through, but ‘at least they’ve got all of the important bits’ doesn’t mean a lot isn’t being left out.

25. windy says:

Yeah, I have the same opinion , this episode was a bit disappointing, also because in the middle we have the already dead characters that come back from the dead as if nothing happened, then casually talk about their death, if in Higurashi , it was tackled in a more subtle way ( most of the characters lost the memories of their previous life and the effect produced was quite awesome and enigmatic), here we have the impression the characters are just fooling around and playing some weird half detective half poltergeist game and just acting ,it just goes nowhere, no , it gives us the answer : “Beatrice actually does exist since we saw her talking casually with the characters then with the other witch (why?)who looks like the witch we’ve seen at the end of the 2nd season of Higurashi, it is her, isn’t it? And Battler went quite hysterical and showed some comical act, ranting that witches don’t exist and even if I can see one, they’re just tricks made and orchestrated by humans. I was so fond of this series so far, but they’d better review the storyline because here we trip overboard. I hope this episode has some good purpose for having the characters goofing around like this.

26. Juni says:

They took out all my favorite parts of the “tea party” scenes, so it was a bit disappointing for me too.

27. Pitviper72 says:

It’s because it isn’t “explained” until the 2nd Arc…

I do agree that there wasn’t really much of a distinction is separating the actual episode from the tea party, but honestly… it’s not that big of a deal…

The tea party is supposed to be confusing, and then, based on what you see later, you develop an understanding of what you saw.

28. Pitviper72 says:

(My last comment was in response to Kanao)

29. Veldril says:

Overboard? This is just a child play! Compare to what to come next, this mind-raping is not even 1/10th of what to come.

30. Pitviper72 says:

Correcting myself:
    You’re blaming peoples confusion on bad directing, Kanao, but the story itself is confusing at that point, so I don’t think it’s entirely to blame on how the director handled it

31. Kanao says:

“You’re blaming peoples confusion on a bad adaption, but honestly, the story itself is confusing at that point, I don’t see it being the adaption at all.”

Since it says things like ‘Episode I-V’ anyway it should have said ‘Episode I-V END’ while doing the screen for the mid-episode break. Then opened the second half with ‘Episode I Tea Party’ or something. I just reread the actual Tea Party in the game and it was awesome. Do so yourself and tell me there’s no difference.

Also, in the actual Tea Party it may have been slightly confusing but there are hints right there as to what’s going on. The fact that it’s actually a separate extra makes all the difference to the belief that it’s somehow ongoing and a couple characters came back to life.

The game made it clear in the Episode 1 end-credits that all the characters were dead. In the anime you really don’t feel like the last four characters died at all. You select an ‘extra’ story called a Tea Party and the characters are happily discussing what happened in the Episode.

The problem is in the way it’s put across. On one hand (anime) it feels like a direct continuation and is beyond confusing. On the other (VN) it feels like a side-story.

32. Kanao says:

“Since it says things like ‘Episode I-V’ anyway it should have said ‘Episode I-V END’ while doing the screen for the mid-episode break. Then opened the second half with ‘Episode I Tea Party’ or something”

Thinking about it, it may even have made a lot more sense if, instead of showing someone finding a letter in a bottle, they copied the VN and had some scrolling text explaining the end of the Episode before opening to the Tea Party.

33. Pitviper72 says:

It would surely seem clearer if they handled it like that, but I’m saying that anime viewers will come to somewhat “understand” it later, when the series’ setup begins to become more clear, so it’s not TOO big of a deal…

(And, I did read the end of Episode I and the Tea Parties shortly before the episode aired)

Anyway, I don’t think there’s much use in continuing this discussion any further…

34. windy says:

Yes, it was very confusing for me, I haven’t gone through the visual novel and can’t compare but in “Higurashi”, we had a certain continuation with some parts changing here and there, maybe this would also follow its footsteps later on, I hope so because in the first one we had it clear that the characters were doomed to die then revive all the time due to the wheel of fate, and what was more realistic in a certain way is that they didn’t remember anything but here seeing the characters being aware of their previous deaths just doesn’t fit right in, that’s what I feel and then seeing the witch calling herself Beatrice appearing out of nowhere just for teasing the main character seems also out of place and makes the fabulous mystery that we were right into lose its effect.

35. C Rosenkreutz says:

If there’s going to be a supernatural deus ex machina in a mystery series, it’s much better to bring it out in the beginning rather than wait until the last episode. I can think of a few anime that would have been better doing this.

It doesn’t look good in any medium. Arguably, the anime version is more honest as it doesn’t try to hide that it makes no sense.

Just be glad that we don’t have to wait months for the next episode at this point with the anime.

36. Camario says:

I thought it was slightly confusing at first, but even as someone who had only watched the anime so far, it seemed implicit that we aren’t supposed to take everything at face value precisely because Beatrice is trying to force Battler to do so.

At this point the show seems to be taking off into a more meta direction, which isn’t necessarily bad, but it definitely changes the rules and for that reason I wouldn’t attempt to make sense out of everything right now.

Even the leaps of logic the characters make might be a little too sudden for the viewer, so it’s best to wait and see how things develop.

Other than that, the episode was interesting and entertaining enough. I’d really like to see what can they come up with next.

37. vic says:

YOU THINK THAT BEATRICE WAS THE CULPRIT? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Everyone lost at the beggining of the history, ONLY because beatrice shows up and say se made everything you think she is the culprit? did you really see higurashi? the culprit were aliens and oyashirosama like rena thought in her arc?????

YOU HAVE TO KNOW THAT

Those who enjoy stupid puzzles that are made to be solved can leave now.

Umineko no Naku Koro ni is the worst kind of tale, created without any intention of letting all of you solve it.

I really cant’ beleive how wrong the review of this episode was, i didn’t read the visual novel but i saw higurashi and IT’S OBVIOUS that all that we see IS NOT THE REAL THING and i also think that the culprit is human, I REALLY EJOY THIS EPISODE IS WAS AMAZING AND AN ICNREDIBLE MINDRAPE, i think that the tea part was all a show to made battler surrender but i don’t know why.

btw BERKANSTEL IS RIKA???????????

38. Kanao says:

Umineko: Episode 1 – Witch’s Tea Party: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg9WDP2UkHw&feature=channel_page

This is the original scene (from the VN) where Beatrice and Bernkastel converse. The final couple of minutes of the anime episode. The quality isn’t great and the text appears smoothly in the actual game but it’s good. A better example would be the actual Tea Party extra but I can’t find it on youtube. Anyone want to record it? Or recommendations on how I could record it myself in good quality?

39. kaboom says:

It’ll make more sense once they get farther into the second arc, trust me. (although the entire thing is still a bit contradictory by nature)

Next episode won’t help you much at all, I’m afraid, but it will be very fun. LOL.

40. windy says:

I also believe that someone is behind all this, that’s obvious enough but even so that doesn’t exclude the existence of the witch Beatrice herself because Hanyu was the reincarnation of Oyashiro sama, if I’m not wrong? So, we clearly saw here two witches talking together about the “big plot” or events that will take place, didn’t we? Now someone else is undoubtfully pulling the strings behind the curtains, the question is who is it?! That’s what will be unravelled further on but this episode sounded like a play where the actors themselves overplay their characters, now the four previous episodes were pure awesomeness and this one wasn’t bad ,just under the level, it remains one of the best shows of the season anyway.

41. Rui Brennan says:

My own view on the series (which is neither canon nor valid) that can help on enjoying the anime is the following: The ‘souls’ of the dead are gathering in the purgatorio (“metaworld”, as known in the VN) and discussing about their own deaths. All the people thinks that the witch killed everyone (ey, maybe they will be revived if they think like that) but battler is stubborn and does not really think that a witch killed them all. So the witch shows herself and, from this point on, will try to “convince” the soul of battler (“meta-battler” in the VN) that she exists – so she can become a real being in the real world.

Welcome to Rokkenjima, and enjoy the battle with the witch! did she really existed in the real world and killed everyone. Is she lying so she can exist? Is up to meta-battler (and you) to decide!

42. Westlo says:

I don’t know why people are surprised psgels thought Beatrice was behind the murders.. this is the same person who thought Alto died at the end of Episode 24 of Macross Frontier.. he’s ah gullible lol.

That said Beatrice exists Uuuuuuuuuu!

43. chounokoe says:

I think all that this bickering leads to is for psgels to drop the anime at one point or the other.
    It’s one thing to point out little details within the already aired episodes, but always saying ‘But in the VN! But in the VN!’ is not going to help, neither is calling him gullible or stupid bringing him any closer to enjoying it. So let’s just refrain from using the comments as ANOTHER battleground for anime vs. visual novel wars…in the end I think this is one of the few readable blogs about Umineko (being neither unreflected praise or just plain hate).

44. Machi says:

@chounuokoe: Agreed big time. While I haven’t watched this episode, and have no knowledge of the Visual Novel, I certainly don’t think it would help in appreciation to simply boil it down to ‘But in the VN! But in the VN!’. And in this case with the comments its just boiled down to just that, with disbelief being suspended in favor of knowledge beforehand.

45. vic says:

i didn’t play the visual novel but i also think psgels made a horrible review XD i just can’t beleive how simple is his logic BEATRICE KILL EVERYONE SHE EXISTS I SEE HER AGAIN IN THE PREVIEW FOR THE NEXT EPISODE WTF like i said before, the culprit were aliens and oyashirosama like rena thought in her arc????? NO in complex animes like this we have to use our brains that’s what i love from umineko and what i love from episode 5 WE HAVE TO THINK in my opinion beatrice didn’t kill everyone but well i have to wait what happen next.

PD: psgels didn’t even mention the appearence of bernkanstel =P

46. windy says:

Who is Bernkanstel anyway?

47. chounokoe says:

@windy: Just wait and see, there is still so much more to come.
    At this point she is just an enigmatic witch, who enjoys teasing Beatrice.

48. vic says:

@windy: to know that you need to see AT LEAST the ova 4 from higurashi rei.

49. Machi says:

Just watched the episode… Odd that people say that you fail if you believe in witches but then you get that totally odd scene that comes up from no where that in a sense proves their existence, or it could just be bad writing. Namely the second tea party that obviously is outside the domain of any of the sight of the survivors. Course you could just discount the entire 2nd half as a dream but that scene still stands as an anomaly to any logic. Simply put that scene just shouldn’t be there.

50. superseaslug says:

It is obvious that witches do exist. Now if the murders on Rokkenjima were done by a witch, that’s a completely different story. And I think I understand Battler’s refusal in believing that his whole family was butchered by something as ridiculous as a witch.

51. vic says:

clap clap superseaslug i was waiting for someone intelligent here.

52. windy says:

Bernkanstel was a witch that traveled through different worlds and has been living for a thousand years, isn’t it ? I didn’t realize at first glance that “Umineko no naku koro ni” would be so linked to “Higurashi” in every single way, there’s a kinda ” Tsubasa- xxx holic” link between them.

53. Westlo says:

“neither is calling him gullible or stupid bringing him any closer to enjoying it. ”

He is gullible, just look at his comments for any romance anime he has followed. One ep Girl A has won for sure and than the next ep no it’s Girl B! Also he seems to fall for character deaths so often it’s not funny.

54. Larien says:

I don’t get this show at all… I mean, WTF is going on?

I really hate Maria – it’s so unlike me to hate a kid, but she is so obnoxious that it’s almost unbearable. And like you said in an earlier post, she’s so blatantly nuts and evil and NO ONE SEES IT.

I dunno I’m thinking of dropping this show, I don’t like it anymore.

55. Yumi says:

This is what happens when you grow up watching under the influence of Disney and Looney Tunes; the dumbing down of your thought process with simple, linear storylines.

Anyone with a brain would figure out that if the writer was Ryukishi07, the same person who concocted the masterpiece called Higurashi, would have plot twists. Have you learned nothing from his writing style? If it’s the introduction to the series (Higurashi: Onikakushi-hen, Umineko: Episode I-I~V) you need to take what’s been given to you with a grain of salt! Just because K1 saw Mion and Rena trying to inject him with a syringe doesn’t mean it really happened. Just because you saw Beatrice appear doesn’t mean witches exists.

56. Nanima says:

I just found a great article on this episode, which I think will clear some things up for anime viewers:
    (WARNING: DO NOT READ THIS UNLESS YOU WATCHED HIGURASHI AT LEAST UNTIL REI EPISODE 4)

This was NOT written by me.

57. windy says:

to vic: In Higurashi, ” Oyashiro sama or aliens like you say” didn’t appear and announce they killed everyone either, if you compare the two , you have to take that into account.

I just looked through the nominations for the Crunchyroll Anime Awards and to my surprise, it's a pretty solid lineups. Find myself agreeing with most of their choices there
Actually forgot about it.
I don't know why you don't just read kara no shoujo 2 instead.
And Himawari is actually boring me. It's proving difficult to push myself though just to see where the point that makes it highly regarded comes in.
@Aidan: In the end I was pretty much curious about it.
Yep, that's it. Gonna stop discord displaying what I play from now on. It's weird when people comment on it.
Now my current rankings: 1. Devilman
2.Junji itou
3. sangatsu
4. Cardcaptor sakura
5. Pop team
6. Evergarden.
*Aidan
I'm joking obviously, but I am surprised to see you playing Himawari Aiden.
Oh Aidan you and your lolicon visual novel you =P
@Alonaria: Shin Godzilla had the evolving godzilla thing and that freaky ass final shot too, it also justified itself quite well i think by showing how relevent he is today, given the nuclear thing and that it drew on the Fukushima incident essentially.
@Alonaria: Thats a far better and shorter way of putting it than I.
Alonaria
I wish I'd just waited for the other parts of the Godzilla movie trilogy to be released. As it is, I'm just going to remember it as "that incomplete movie." And the character designs kind of blurred together for me, which was really disorienting.
Oh psgels is back
But I've seen other Godzilla things so I pretty much was supposed to see this anyway.
Or you know you could always take what I said with a pinch of salt, because you know....I don't get on with Urobutcher.
The idea behind it is definately cool and a different spin for the franchise though.
Maybe I was held back a bit by the cgi or the mediorce voice acting.
But I'd need to see its followup before properly assessing it.
Godzilla often makes for silly films, but lke alot of silly older films the silliness and seriousness combine without clashing, this one is too Poe faced .
I saw that Godzilla anime film, I'd describe it as watchable in parts but far too caught up in setup mode and an unlikeable protaganist , it could go somewhere with what it raised at the start but this is an example of a first film in a trilogy that suffers from being unable to currently stand on its own.
I generally feel that Itou's stories have a winning track record but theres exceptions, Uzumaki and Gyo in manga form struggle toward the end and the first episode story the anime chose to adapt is, while fun one of the weaker offerings.
Alonaria
Honestly, the shorter stories have been more effective at getting a reaction out of me, though. I actually didn't really enjoy the first episode's first story, mostly because I found the MC too obnoxious. :.D Maybe because my younger brother chased me with a bug once and it was really unpleasant. XD
@Anon: It wasn't just it coming out of her mouth, but when they were stamping on them too.
@Kaiser: Yah, I was horrified for like 5 seconds but the other characters made me crack up. :.D
Although it was mixed in with laughing my ass of eventually.
Of all the Itou stories to be un-nerved by, its the second half of this third episode oddly that does it for me and I never get uncomfortable during anything .
@Anon, We are working on it.
Are you planning on making a top anime of 2017 list?
Yeah Mash is one of the few good ones it seems.
Oh damn, good that you remind me, I didn't pick anything yet. But I guess I will go with Altera, considering that some of them don't look that good and I own her anyway. Would have wanted the Scat one but the drawing looks weird.
Which Bond CE did you pick for the 2 mill? I went with the Mash one. Only only whose artwork I liked.
Might settle for making Bryn my endgame lancer though.
As I said in my Apocrypha post, I have no interest in any version of Jeanne. My top priorities for my endgame team is Isekander, Scathach and assassin Shiki. And Shiki is a welfare so only need to worry about the other two.
Yeah, I was considering to keep rolling for the new 4* at first but I really want Jeanne Alter and she's coming soon.
@Amagi, I tried rolling for Karna and got nothing. Though I think Bryn is better. I plan on rolling one more time with the saint quartz we are getting to try for NP2. Though we do have the valintines event coming.
@Aidan: Same here, just got Brynhildr. Even though I already got Karna last month. But I wanted her, nice design, finally a single-targed 5* and she's even one of the few servants related to my country.
@SuperMario. The contemplation of the death of humanity, and the loneliness, both were very disturbing to me. Kinda like thinking of my grave.
YANDERE GET. Bryn's mine baby.
Gonna try rolling for Brynhildr tomorrow. Bit annoyed they chose to translate it as Brynhild. I mean it's not incorrect but her name is far more recognisable as Brynhildr
@Amagi, The grind wasn't that bad for me. Mordred carried me for it. Though I managed to get Siegfried in the gacha despite not being on rate up. I admit that the event was rather lackluster. Story wasn't that fun and the whole saber restriction was a pain. Also gonna take me a while to readjust to regular damage.
Man that FGO Saber Wars event was annoying. I am happy finally I have 2 mio. altrium now and am done with it.
Reminder that netflix Godzilla anime is later today.
Damn I didn't noticed that ankle band of the little demon from the intro scene of FranXX 01, now I feel stupid.
Yuasa is great! Ping pong and Tatami Galaxy are still some of my favorites
Oh fuck, the lead singer of the Cranberries passed away. I literally just listened to their music yesterday. Damnn, sad news
@Kaiser; thanks for considering me but I believe Wooper is much more a Yuasa's fan than I am
Far out!!!
SuperWooper
Yuasa will be answering questions on Reddit's anime board on the 20th.
@Niello: what do you mean regarding Yuasa?
@Travlos: I agree that Girls Last Tour is a special little gem, but in what ways it's disturbing?
Niello
Holy cow, Masaaki Yuasa AMA!! What magic is this?
Niello
Meawhile, Japan took a different approach and we ends up with a bunch of .hack rehash and diving more and more into escapism. Until we eventually got isekai and then it just spiraled into a sea of mediocrity.
Niello
While that opened its own can of worms, at least it opens up element about making ends meet, managing irl relationships, earning extra income for a poor family, getting cheated etc.
Niello
in the characters real life just fine. Something more a long the line of Net-juu but more technologically advanced. And I would say that plenty of those have been superior to Japanese online game and isekai story shenanigans. That said, it doesn't mean that those don't have their own kind of traps they usually fall in. A bunch of those instead focus on the aspect of making money off of games.
Niello
...Getting stuck in a virtual reality game and being transport to another world that happens to be like a game are completely different though. I don't know what is it with Japan and getting stuck in game plots considering that there are loads of other game-base Asian novels that came before it that manage story lines where they manage to tell compelling stories in game while balancing what happen
I finally finished Girls Last Tour. What a profound, fluffy and disturbing masterpiece. Bravo.
Yeah. I feel the world swap is pretty much pointless when real life isn't relevant anymore. It's just a stupid as hell excuse to combine fantasy wish fullfilment with self-inserts, which is why these main characters tend to be 29 by now, just like the big part of the otaku community.
Of those you listed, no, I dont think they get explained? I mean, SAO did, but I dont think that falls into your category.

Thats why I liked .hack//sign over alot of more modern game Isekai. Also .hack//sign did explain what happened to Tsukasa.
Considering how bad most of these are I wouldn't wonder if they wouldn't even bother with an explanation and just end it with the characters being happy in that game world and that's it. Or magic and the whole harem gets transported into reality at the end because power of love and such.
I have no problem with a sci-fi fantasy mix, I liked .hack//sign for example, but it annoys me that such an incredibly bizarre situation gets never explained. Or maybe it will but it never happened so far because none of these LNs was ever finished and concluded yet. I just wish to know how they explain that.
I mean all those shows in which the character just finds himself stuck in a real world that's (coincidentally?) the same as the game he recently played. Be it Overlord, Death March, Log Horizon or the 300 other series with that premise.
Some thing that always bothered me about game isekai for which I never got an answer so far: did any of those series ever end and/or explain how the warp has happened and why the MC is in the game? - Not talking about .hack, SAO and such where the action of getting trapped is part of the premise
Niel
@Eoghan - Btw, Kokkoku isn't a time travel. it's stasis, apparently. Looks very promising so far. Though if I am to trust the manga score, it's shit.
Niel
But is Toradora really slice of life? As far as I can see it's straight up romance.
And Mario, ill rag on SOL all I want! :P

Wooper, its true good shows transcend genre, as there are still some like Toradora I like, but those are exceptions that prove the rule so to speak.
@Niel, yeah I base my potential % on the odds something gets/stays good.
I am of similar mindset about Franxx. I want it to get better but I don't really see it doing so. Unless the other characters get a majority personality boost or the MC stops being a plank.
Niel
XD
I confess....I only sat through just over half an episode of aldonoah.
Niel
Since it's Trigger, I will give the benefit of the doubt. I'm just very skeptical about this whole formula.
Niel
The way I can see this series improving is through world building. And if other aspects are going to improve too, it's going to revolve around that.
Niel
It leaves about as much impression on me as much as the first episode of Aldnoah did, and I dropped that one straight away. The character chemistry doesn't look like it will go places that's not cliche. The gimmick doesn't seem like it has much potential either.
Niel
So you're all betting it on "this is going to get better". I mean, I hope it gets better. Though right now this feels more Kiznaiver than Kill la Kill or LWA.
I'd nominate Mario to do the devilman review as he's the most immediate Yuasa fan to do it and Bam is too awol to write it.
The cute girl shows just bleed and blend in my mind now, same with the isekai shows.
Devilman, my show of the season, unless after the rain ends up having some emotional wallop.
So for me its looking like: Junji itou, Cardcaptor sakura, keeping up with sangatsu, wait and see on amegari . Not watching a time travel or trigger show and I remain unable to sit through Mahoutsukai .
The story itself is generic so far but so are most Trigger series at the beginning so not sure. Maybe it will stay weak, but in general I prefer series that start with the weaker episodes and get better and better over time over the many series that use up all of their budget and trump cards in the first episode and drag on after that.
I really love Trigger's esthetics and their characters. I am happy they're more often involved in non-trigger-only productions because I honestly think that most of the stuff I enjoyed about FranXX was heavily influenced by them.
@Nielo: Franxx's first ep was stellar for me. Storywise, it's lackluster (and I see the similar in tropes between this and Beatless) but production-wise it's excellent
I think I just keep watching it on a weekly basis. Still trippy as hell
Okay, I just watched second episode of Devilman Crybaby and it's still pretty good.
Nielo
By the way, what's up with Darling in the Franxx? I thought it's a very weak first episode.
Nielo
@Lenlo: Slice of life isn't my thing either, and I usually avoid series set in high school.
Nielo
@SuperMario: Takagi-san is cute, I'll admit that, but since I already read the manga it's not new to me. Sora Yori is good, but it's not particularly cute. I found Hakumei to Mikochi and Yuru Camp very boring. Haven't got the chance to watch Mitsuboshi Colors or Gakuen Babysisters but I don't think they could be more cute than Mii-kun.
SuperWooper
HOT TAKE: Genre is irrelevant. What matters is whether a show is good.
Don't knock off MY genre Lenlo. It's one of the reason I got into anime in the first place :)
Im not saying it doesn't do what it sets out to. I just don't think what it sets out to do is all that... great.
@Niello, Slice of Life was never my Genre in the first place :/ I typically avoid them. I have my own life to deal with and already graduated high school, why would I want to deal with a melodramatic anime highschool, is my line of thought.
@Niello: okay, let's see:Takagi-san (the titular character), Mitsuboshi Colors, Gakuen Babysisters (Toddlers!!), Hakumei to Milochi (tiny girls) and two more slightly more mature but equally cute: Sora Yori and Yuru Camp's casts
Nielllo
@SuperMario: I'm sure this is where our definition of "cute" parts way, but I'll ask anyway, what are those 5 shows?
@Niello: seems so because I can eaisily pick 5 more shows that are cuter, and better than Mummy this season ;)
Nielllo
...So I suppose I'm the only one who's kinda bored out by a lot of the slice of life shows that's trying to be cute this season and only perked up by the Mummy anime because it's actually do what it's meant to do and be legit cute.
I am interested in Koi, but still have concern about the relationship itself.

@Vonter, the mummy anime would be better as short vignettes together I feel.
Koi amegari is surprisingly tasteful, subdued and pretty.
*to where
Try as I might, my love of kyoani tv anime has largely evaporated did where I no longer want to bother at this stage, I'll just wait and see. I'll just stay quiet on the franxx anime, theres little value in me trying to get through a trigger work at this point.
I get the exact same feeling with Takagi-san. It's pretty good on what it does but 20 minutes of the same thing for a whole season doesn't sound that promising
The chibi mummy anime
It's a shame it isn't a shorter 10 or 5 minute series, I think that format would make it shine more, since it does what it's trying to do.
Speaking of it, I liked the second episode of Kokkuko or whatever the name is even more than the first one.
I really have a problem with all these shows that rely on one single thing, joke, shenanigan or whatever. Be it something cute, some certain kind of interactiong or whatever. It doesn't matter how good it is it will bore me with episode 2.
Like, yeah, the mummy was cute. But the cute became rote/bland really quick. There has to be more than "cute" to be worth watching for more than a single episode to me.
@Niello, I was harsh because its not aimed at me. I wanted to drop it 5 minutes in, kept up for the post, then was thankful it was over. There wasnt anything overtly bad about it. Its just there was nothing good either.
To be fair it's not as if we are lacking cute in this season.
In fact it's in danger of inflation.
@Niello: yes, the mummy is cute, the show is cute but beside that it's pretty mediocre. That show in particular is the only show that I have the damnest time to give it a potential rating.
Niello
It's not even down because of legal reasons, since the site pull down contents that are lincensed. It's down cause it's too much for the site owner to manage. Much of it also have to do with too many bots, which comes back to how a lot of other sites are relying on batoto.
Niello
@Masky: Not enough manga titles are getting translated. Batoto is the site scanlation groups basically rely on, and where other aggregation sites pull their content from. No batoto no obscure titles, a big blow to small scantation groups and one big manga/scanlator community down.
Niello
Why are you guys so harsh on the mummy show? It's so darn cute. Give it some credit. If a comedy show can be good because it does comedy well I don't see why a show ike Mummy can't be good if it can make people go "aww".
I don't really know why that is the case, maybe marketing budget and UI friendliness when done right? :P
Eh, wouldn't say it will kill manga industry. I mean, more and more official methods of reading manga online is starting to pop up and legit channels to pay to get access to manga can surprisingly enough harm free channels to get manga.
Anyway, I do find it funny how how the isekai character dies can be so meaningless that is joke in most of them
Niello
Batoto is going down, how this affect the manga reading is going to be interesting. Hope it's not slowly dying.
(at least that one, besides forgetting to introduce what the heck is gimmick besides generickness, acknowledged how most of otaku mcs shouldn't erally want to get transferred to fantasy world since they never get to see how their favourite mangas end :P )
Anyhoo, it gets annoying since its not just isekai being cliche, sometimes is just them being kind of badly written(or at least adapted to manga). Like, I found one new isekai today, but I have no idea what its gimmick is(from what I understood, its that "cute companion" that character gets is hideously op because mc didn't spefy cute girl when he asked god manager dude for cute companion)
Slime one is one of better from the more generic ones weirdly enough :P I mean I still wouldn't call it good, but at least MC character isn't god tier, just top tier and it has sort of village building simulation feel to it. Plus at least naming things giving monsters more powers is something funny regarding jrpg mechanics
Or alternatively the car was on a boat with the character or parents in it and the boat and car were hit by a falling plane lol
Its always "car accident" that sends the characters to another world or in harem cases "Lost parents due to car crash", for christs sake doesn't anyone die in out of control plane or speedboat crashes anymore, at least make it a motorbike....
Nayrael
Ah sorry, should probably not have touched the colors...
Nayrael
Trust me, Isekai is better when it doesn't try to be imaginative. When it tries to be original then... Isekai with a Smartphone... Isekai where the MC turns into a Slime... and my favorite: Isekai where the MC became a Hot Spring popular with sexy girls.
Assuming "new" things can happen under the sun
Anyhoo, I do wonder what the heck will be next "popular genre trope that will become so overused cliche that everyone groans whenever show uses it even if its actually good show"
Like, seriously you could do really interesting story variant on isekai with that if done right. Suddenly becoming characters you have roleplayed would be trippy as hell espicially if one of characters went really into detail with backstory while one of them is just "Bob the fighter, he likes fighting" and has to deal with what happens when you assume life of such a person
But I wouldn't honestly be surprised because of my anger issues related to amount of unimaginative isekai :P Though I guess trpg based one would be more imaginative in comparison
I'd assume not since I assume tabletop rpgs are much more niche than jrpgs in japan
So has anyone yet done isekai where guys getting transferred were playing trpg? :P
quite happy with most recent Attack of Titan manga chapter.
Alright, one more impression post to go before we really get on to new season
@Kaiser: yep, I just fixed it. Thank you
*than just the reviewers names
A slight problem with the coding there in the newest impression, showing code gobbledeegook rather than the reviewers names above their impressions.
@Mario: I'm seeing it on 2nd of February.
@Mario: Late screeners generally leak shortly after the uk release, so maybe early Febbruary it'll be online?
@Kaiser: yep, Phantom Thread. Could be Daniel Day Lewis's final performance. Is it available online already?
@Mario: Did you know that Paul Thomas Anderso8n has a new film coming out? Also I found out there is a Polish semi-knockoff of purple rose of cairo.
Awesome, just got myself an invite to a secret private torrent site =)
@Kaiser When I was in University, I was a waiter at a Korean-owned Japanese Sushi restaurant with a kitchen staff of entirely Mexicans with poor English. The owner, while he provided the rest of his staff with small meals during our lunch or dinner shifts, never game any to the kitchen staff. The guy even ranted to a customer about how "lazy" or "ignorant" they were.
Buses are pretty common in America, even outside the major super-cities like LA, NYC, or Chicago. It's public rail you're thinking of that we don't have much of outside the cities.
I brought up the racisim/aunt story wondering if anyone had any horror stories about where they worked?
@Bokusen: Buses don't seem to be a thing in America, meanwhile over here, despite traffic, public transport is much more of a thing, couldn't imagine not getting a train or bus somewhere.
@Amagi. I must say you changed my positive view of the German education system.
@Amagi: And yet Austria gets the far right party in power and Israel also has a far right apartheid leader.
If any good came from it, her boss got banned from facebook .
Two years ago the alt/new right hold a rally here since they're successful elsewhere with their anti-immigrant/PoC speeches. In the end it was 35 nazis vs 29.000 counter-demonstrators. The joke: when they had to leave with police protection they shouted "We are the people". Yes 35 hated bigots are surely the people, not the 29k. I laughed.
@Kaiser-Eoghan: That aunt story is pretty shit. I am kinda happy about smartphones nowadays, you can often make photos or record speech if you are witnessing something. Also, thank God the racists in my city are very rare since antifa and leftwingers took hold of it decades ago - now 70% of people are immigrants so racists don't even tend to show up anymore.
Nielllo
Great. I don't think most of what I wrote actually appeared in the chat.

After the Rain – 02 [Rain Drops on Green Leaves]

It has been exactly a year since I last blogged you, noitaminA shows, and this time again it’s another romance drama. Unlike Scum’s Wish last year, however, Ameagari has one simple premise, but it executes the idea with such grace. This second episode is even stronger than the first, setting the stepping stone for Tachibana […]

Violet Evergarden – 02 [Never Coming Back]

I’m thankful that this second episode plays out much quieter and more subtle than the first, because I’m not a fan at all with the grandeur approach of the first episode. This makes the second week of Violet slightly better than last week, but I still find myself not totally satisfied with the whole experience. […]

Kokkoku – 2 [The Second Moment]

Hello and welcome to the 2018 Winter season! This time, we have an interesting little time-based drama called Kokkoku. It has mystery, it has cults, it has dead-beat parents and apparent god-like beings. Lets jump in! To start, a quick blurb about our characters. Personally, I like them so far. They are all flawed and imperfect […]

A Place Further than the Universe – 03 [The Follow Backs Don’t Stop]

“I could just die right now” That line, spoken by our new member, Yuzuki, bookends this week’s Universe. It marks the shift in the new girl’s character growth. Last week, the Expedition girls mentioned they have a plan to raise fund, right? Turns out it’s not the mother, but the young girl herself, is used […]

Junji Ito Collection – 02[Fashion Model, Long Dreams]

After the first episode started off as a black comedy, I was worried that this series may suffer the same problem as Kino’s Journey in that the weaker stories in his work would be chosen for adaption. Lucky this does not appear to be the case but there is another problem which is not quite […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 13/14 [East, West, Homes Best]/[Looks breed love]

Hello and welcome to the new year! New Year, a new Cour for Mahoutsukai no Yome, this time with slightly more plot. These past two weeks have been a bumpy ride of Mahoutsukai, with plenty to talk about. So let’s jump in! To start off, the new OP is terrible. The music isn’t as good […]

A Place Further than the Universe – 02 [Kabukicho Fremantle]

I’m glad that this second episode addresses straight out all my worries from the first episode: the actual implementation to make that trip a reality, because boy, it’s no simple matter. Universe apparently does its research, telling us exactly places they need to go, the initial trip ahead and the amount of money they need […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 33/34 [Where the Sun Shines…Light]

It’s been three weeks since my last 3-gatsu post, a gap owed in part to the break the show took around New Years’. Perhaps it’s because of all that time away from the series, or maybe it’s due to the massive difference between these two episodes, but I had a tough time connecting with the […]

Dies Irae – 10/11[Einherjar/Self-Destruction Factor]

Quite late in covering this one though out of the three shows I covered for the fall season my level of interest in this series has more or less evaporated. Truth be told, while this is a episode review of ten and eleven, i honestly cannot even remember what happened in episode ten. I think […]

In This Corner of the World (2016) Movie Review – 90/100

In this Corner of the World (for the purpose of this review, I’ll refer it as “Corner”), is the truest slice of life drama if you ever encounter one, in that it’s a slice into an ordinary life of an ordinary girl during the War period. That speaks into the very first strength of Corner, […]

Houseki no Kuni (Fall 2017) Review – 92/100

Make no mistake, Houseki no Kuni is the most ambitious anime project of the year. Not only because it’s an entirely CG project (and make a damn good use of it, mind you), or because of its narrative scope that at once strange, grand and beauty, but also in its very conception in their production […]

Fate/Apocrypha Anime Review – 64/100

I was quite excited for Apocrypha and in the so called year of Fate adaptations, it looked to be the crown jewel. Sadly, partly due to lacking adaption and the source lacking in areas, this anime turned out to be not quite the jewel I thought it would be. It’s hard to call this a […]

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World Anime Review – 73/100

One of the surprises of the year was to see the return of Kino’s Journey, a very well regarded and more unique anime among those deemed classic. Many, myself included, were very much looking forward to the return of Kino and her talking Motorrad. Though due to some factors this series doesn’t quite live up […]

Girls’ Last Tour (Fall 2017) Review – 86/100

Girls’ Last Tour falls within my favorite new trend that emerging the anime medium over the last decade: a dark moe anime. Set in a post-apocalyptic world where the human race has almost extinct, our two girls wandering around the world in their kettenkrad looking for food and shelter. If it sounds a bit bleak […]

Two tales of War: Reviewing The Heroic Legend of Arslan and Altair: A Record of Battles

It would not be an exaggeration to say that my favorite type of anime is the political-military epic. This comes partly out of my profession, I study war and politics, but also my hobby, as military and political history is something I enjoy. When it comes to anime there is a clear sub-category that can […]

The Night is Short, Walk On Girl (2017) Movie Review – 92.5/100

“How many decades have passed since our drinking contest?” “It hasn’t been that long. It was only a few hours ago, this very night!” That gap in time perceiving plays a significant role in Night is Short. For you see, it all depends on how our perception of the surroundings and time itself can affect […]

Ballroom e Youkoso Review – 65/100

In the weeks leading up to the summer 2017 season, Ballroom e Youkoso was one of the most buzzed-about new series. Produced by the Production I.G. team responsible for the smash hit Haikyuu!!, and set to air on Amazon’s brand new Anime Strike service, the series had no shortage of promotion or hype behind it. […]

Inuyashiki Review – 80/100

Do you know what the average age of an anime protagonist is? Neither do I, but I’d wager its in the upper teens. For obvious reasons, most anime focus on high school and have high school aged protagonists with similarly aged problems. Its not often that we get a good older main character, who has […]