Posted by psgels on 30 July 2009 with categories: Umineko no Naku Koro ni

As much as I don’t care about the original visual novel, I have to admit that this episode stretched even my suspense of disbelief. Battler just acted way too weird in this episode, it just doesn’t make any sense.

So basically, the bodies continue to fall when Natsuhi commits suicide. Butterflies then appear again, Battler tries to shoot them, the eye-catch appears… and suddenly Kanon, Sharon and Natsuhi are perfectly fine and everyone acts like nothing happens! Sure, I can see how Beatrice is screwing with everyone’s mind by magically reviving everyone and all… but what happened to the others? There isn’t even a single mention of them! And besides, everyone was talking like they just returned from a Beach resort, instead of a murderous mansion.

Then Battler’s refusal to believe in the existence of witches. Sure, I believed that too until the end of the previous episode. HOWEVER he completely seemed to accept that everyone and his dog came back to life, and yet he never even questions it, and yet he doesn’t want to believe that Beatrice killed them. That just doesn’t make any sense.

Overall, I’m a bit disappointed that it really was Beatrice who killed off everyone, but let’s see what the rest of the series can do to spice things up. This show now seems to be developing into a battle of wits between Beatrice and Battler, but I wonder how the creators are going to make this interesting without making Beatrice Mary-Sueing Battler over and over.

I’m intrigued by that letter in a bottle from Maria, though. What was up with that, and could that one explain what happened to the real Maria? So that Maria was basically killed and replaced by some thing that could keep an eye around for Beatrice?

Oh boy, this really reminds me back to the first season of Higurashi. I remember how my love for that series was also as inconsistent as he series itself.
Rating: – (Disappointing)

1. chounokoe says:

I’m quite surprised that you found this episode disappointing, I highly expected an ‘Awesome’ here…but well I think it depends.

Without spoiling too much and just spicing up the interest a bit: Are you sure that Beatrice killed everyone?! What did you see and what did you not see? What was possible and what was not?
    Just like Battler doubted, is it right to say ‘It was a witch’ immedeatly after you run out of options?

2. psgels psgels says:

Yeah, I was expecting that too, but this time I guess my suspense of disbelief couldn’t keep up. I agree with Battler, actually: Jessica and the others were too quick to give up… but I’d be so too if people randomly resurrected from out of nowhere.

But now I get what you mean, yeah. There is no guarantee that Beatrice committed all of the murders. I guess what got me in this episode was the questionable way the characters behaved, rather than anything else.

3. tealovertoma says:

Haha, you and me are like opposites, psgels.

I wasn’t taking the series serious and that’s why I liked this episode, it finally managed to surprise me!

Look at the “cliffhanger” endings of the past 3 episodes, what happened in them: people were left alone… and then they died! Wow, who would have thought. You can pull it off once, but 3 times? Meh.

I didn’t like it when it was trying to take itself all serious yet give the most ridiculous and farfetched explanations with over-the-top reactions and blah blah. You say Battler was acting weird in this episode… but don’t you think *everyone* has been acting weird in *all* of the episodes? No one is acting rational, it’s all stretching beyond suspense of belief. It completely failed to impress me as serious mystery drama, so I was hoping for something out of the ordinary, and I got it now.

First episode I really enjoyed since the first one (second ep was okay).

4. Faust721 says:

This show really does cater to those who are familiar with the game. While I have not played the game (and I don’t plan too anytime soon), I did read up on how the game worked, so some things weren’t confusing.

With said, I did like this episode and am now even more excited about the rest of the show, so perhaps reading a bit on the game may make this show more enjoyable.

5. Faust721 says:

ah crap, I meant to say, “With that said”

6. tealovertoma says:

Yeah I think (despite not having read/seen source material) the main problem with episode 2 and 3 is that they rushed through them. That and characters acting weird and doing weird things.

The anime kept killing off characters I didn’t care about yet and then using their murders for… absolutely nothing. I didn’t feel much suspense.

For this anime I much prefer a more… abstract storyline, what they seem to have going on in this new arc, that you don’t know what’s real and what’s not.

7. Tess says:

After watching the first episodes… I began reading the game. When this episode aired, I had not yet read that part in the game. All I can say is… I still found today’s episode amazing, however it makes a slight bit more sense in the game. Not all that much though, since I assume, we don’t know anything yet!

My guess is we shouldn’t believe so much that the witch is the culprit, and that shouldn’t be a spoiler because I know nothing so far… Just a slightly more detailed rendition of what you know. (VN episode 1 vs. the anime adaption so far, I mean, so it’s the same material.)

I just began reading the second episode of the game… and I hope you will enjoy episode 6! I now know I will.

8. chounokoe says:

@psgels: Are you sure there were people who were ressurected? What makes you believe that anybody apart from Shanon and Kanon were dead at the time this scene was taking place?
    And what makes you believe that Beatrice commited any of the murders at all?
    Because you saw it? Remember what you saw, what you did not see.

Okay, this is more than a bit based on the fun that comes with knowing what is going to follow, but take one thing to heart ‘This is a game of wits, if you accept the witch, you already lost!’

9. Shounen A says:

I’m not even sure anyone is alive at all in the tea party scene. I’m having an image of them taking a rest in limbo before they revive and the killing starts again.

10. Veldril says:

Happy Mind-Raped!!!

If you feel the story is confusing then it’s good, because it supposes to be like that.This is only the beginning so there will a lot of questions left unanswered.

11. blkmage says:

This is where everything really starts.

Welcome to Rokkenjima.

12. Nanima says:

As a visual novel reader I found this epeisode totally awesome.
    They kept in everything important, even Bernkastel!^^
    Sure they’re acting weird to you, because they are supposed to.
    It’s really confusing at this point, even in the VN, because the reader/watcher is suddenly thrown into cold water without knowing what happened.
    Higurashi was the same with Onikakushi where suddenly everyone was back to normal after all the ‘possessed by Oyashiro-sama’ and ‘bloody murder’ stuff everyone acted like nothing was wrong, which was totally confusing for everyone.
    Battler’s role now is to prove that all these murders were done by humans which is going to be really hard when he’s surrounded by ‘magic’ and Beatrice trying to screw with his mind.
    Even those who have read all the VN don’t know yet what is real and what’s not, because we’re still in the ‘Question Arcs’.

13. Paulo says:

I think that the sequence after the eye catch was a clever way to avoid the mistake (imo) made in higurashi 1st season where the reboots just hapened without further explanation; it also served as a nice setup for what I think is going to happen next: battler is gonna try to explain the murders as caused by a human while beatrice will probably up the ante and kill in even more atrange and inexplicable ways to prove him that the culprit cannot be a human – after all, this episode implied that for beatrice to be fully revived everyone needs to believe that she exists… Of course, I say all this without knowing anything about the game or its plot , so I may be completely off chart. Btw loving this series, way better than higurashi…

14. Pitviper72 says:

Wow, somebody gave into the witch easily

Just because Beatrice is a character in the series, doesn’t mean she exists or is the culprit, buddy.

15. C Rosenkreutz says:

Is Battler’s reaction to this unbelievable situation out of character? It’s not if he doesn’t accept what’s going on. Disbelieving the evidence of your own eyes seems reasonable. If it’s not real, it’s easy to stay calm.

Maria and Battler are somewhat in character. I’m not sure about everyone else. Why do they just accept it?

I was disappointed in the same way with this scene in the visual novel.

16. Unentschieden says:

Don´t give up so fast.The biggest Problem with this episode is that the Jump from the story to the Tea Party is so aprupt.

To clarify, the visual Novel ends with the clock striking 24:00 with the “credits” rolling and the mentioning of Marias Letter (which is said to be the story from Marias PoV).

Then you are notified that you are invited by the Golden Witch and the Main menu contains now a Option called “Tea Party” which is basically where everyone discusses the game like actors discussing a movie their just shot.

After reading that the main menu gains “???” which is the part with Bernkastell.

Its slightly less confusing because it´s clearer that the Tea Party isn´t part of the “real” story but more in the real of “TIPS”.

You could think of the “Tea Party” as a inseries Forumdiscussion of the Story. The next episode should make the premise of the series clearer.

17. Kanao says:

Damn, there wasn’t any comments when I read this post earlier but I had to go to work. Hope you still read this.

“As much as I don’t care about the original visual novel”
    I’m not sure what to make of this statement. You completely don’t care about the source material from which this adaption is being adapted (in a glossed-over manner)? As someone that watches as much anime as you do, how can it make sense to totally shun an entire medium of story-telling? Especially seeing as you suggest you enjoy excellent characters and interaction, a speciality of Visual Novels?

Personal opinion on the episode: average. Better than episode 1, 2 (which I was disappointed in), not as good as 3 and better than 4 (back to disappointment). The presentation of the meta-world was nothing special (and clearly confusing to anyone new to Umineko) but it wasn’t horrible. I absolutely loathe the character designs and the addition of Beatrice’s horrible design and voice acting just irritated me further.

And I have to say that a lot of things you found confusing and nonsensical is, again, a fault of the adaption. The second half of the episode takes place in a meta-world which exists for the sole purpose of convincing Battler that magic exists. This meta-world and the characters inside it oversee each loop as it is played out (like a game of chess). George, Jessica, etc. are presumably just ‘magic-exists’/given up versions Beatrice created in attempt to get Battler to surrender.

If you have no intention of ever reading it then you should probably give up attempting to make sense of the anime.

18. JR says:

As others have said, I think you got the wrong impression of the second half of the episode. No one was resurrected. The second half took place in purgatory (which was stated in the visual novel) and not the real world, which was why Beatrice could be standing right and front of him, and yet Battler still could deny her existence in the world of Rokkenjima.

19. Pitviper72 says:

^ I disagree with Kanao, the adaption is not at fault, and the VN readers were almost just as confused by this turn of events as many anime-viewers are

I think this anime is presenting things very well, and giving almost the same feeling as the VN did.

You can indeed make sense of the anime, but you have to give it time to develop. This next arc will set the tone of the series from this point on, so get ready for a fun ride.

20. Paulo says:

So it seems that I’ve fallen like a duck to the red herring, based on the comments… Still, now that I know the nature of the tea party in the visual novel, I cant help but love even more this anime for including it – as I said before, it works as a good setup for the reboot (even if my theories about the next “game” were completly wrong).

As for the visual novel, i don’t think that a lot of people have played it (is there any english version?), and i personally would never play it while the anime is being broadcasted – I really wanna see what’s gonna happen next and not be spoiled.

21. Kanao says:

“You completely don’t care about the source material from which this anime* is being adapted (in a glossed-over manner)?”
    -mistyped.

Also, I forgot to mention that everything that happens in the second half of the episode is unrelated to anything that actually happened in the first loop (aka Episode 1). It is actually an (plot essential) ‘extra’ that you unlock after you finish reading the Episode. The bit with the Rika lookalike is also an extra. The director is an idiot for not showing it as being separate in any way as it really screws up the story telling.

In the visual novel Episode 1 ends when the final four (Battler, George, Jessica and Maria) burst through the door and find Natsuhi’s dead body. Then Maria says congratulations to Beatrice and tells them to look at the clock hitting midnight. There’s no stupid attempts at shooting golden butterflies because Battler never sees magic with his own eyes. There’s a kind of credits roll listing all the deaths (including the final characters being assumed dead) and it gives you some text from Maria’s letter.

There is no reason at all to believe that Beatrice killed everyone in Episode 1.

22. Kanao says:

“As for the visual novel, i don’t think that a lot of people have played it (is there any english version?)”

Actually, a lot of people have. It’s fully translated in English. http://www.witch-hunt.com. Also the highest-scoring Visual Novel on vndb.org at the moment. http://vndb.org/v24

“I cant help but love even more this anime for including it”

It’s impossible to tell the story without including it so it’s not worth praising.

“In addition, Kanao’s comment contains spoilers for future episodes that serve the purpose of making a bit of sense of what happened this episode”

No it doesn’t. I haven’t said anything that isn’t obvious simply from reading Episode 1 – the part that’s been adapted.

23. Pitviper72 says:

24. Kanao says:

“At this point, I think we VN readers should just shut up and let the guy enjoy his anime

He already said he doesn’t care for the VN, and he’s just going to take in the anime for what it is (which, in my opinion, is a faithful adaption so far), so a lot of these comments are pretty pointless.”

Disappointment isn’t the same as enjoyment. All I’ve done is point out something – that totally messed up his perception of the story – is actually misinterpreted due to poor directing. Did you read his post? He’s got the idea that the second half is actually straight after the first half. When I watched it, it was fine because I knew it was separate. But looking at it from another perspective, it’s confusing as hell.

Many visual novel readers that have absolutely no problem with the adaption are simply filling in all the blanks subconsciously. If you’ve been reading anime-only viewer’s impressions, a lot of things that were explained have been ignored in the adaption. I’m not saying it’s a ‘bad adaption’ as they have a hell of a lot of content to get through, but ‘at least they’ve got all of the important bits’ doesn’t mean a lot isn’t being left out.

25. windy says:

Yeah, I have the same opinion , this episode was a bit disappointing, also because in the middle we have the already dead characters that come back from the dead as if nothing happened, then casually talk about their death, if in Higurashi , it was tackled in a more subtle way ( most of the characters lost the memories of their previous life and the effect produced was quite awesome and enigmatic), here we have the impression the characters are just fooling around and playing some weird half detective half poltergeist game and just acting ,it just goes nowhere, no , it gives us the answer : “Beatrice actually does exist since we saw her talking casually with the characters then with the other witch (why?)who looks like the witch we’ve seen at the end of the 2nd season of Higurashi, it is her, isn’t it? And Battler went quite hysterical and showed some comical act, ranting that witches don’t exist and even if I can see one, they’re just tricks made and orchestrated by humans. I was so fond of this series so far, but they’d better review the storyline because here we trip overboard. I hope this episode has some good purpose for having the characters goofing around like this.

26. Juni says:

They took out all my favorite parts of the “tea party” scenes, so it was a bit disappointing for me too.

27. Pitviper72 says:

It’s because it isn’t “explained” until the 2nd Arc…

I do agree that there wasn’t really much of a distinction is separating the actual episode from the tea party, but honestly… it’s not that big of a deal…

The tea party is supposed to be confusing, and then, based on what you see later, you develop an understanding of what you saw.

28. Pitviper72 says:

(My last comment was in response to Kanao)

29. Veldril says:

Overboard? This is just a child play! Compare to what to come next, this mind-raping is not even 1/10th of what to come.

30. Pitviper72 says:

Correcting myself:
    You’re blaming peoples confusion on bad directing, Kanao, but the story itself is confusing at that point, so I don’t think it’s entirely to blame on how the director handled it

31. Kanao says:

“You’re blaming peoples confusion on a bad adaption, but honestly, the story itself is confusing at that point, I don’t see it being the adaption at all.”

Since it says things like ‘Episode I-V’ anyway it should have said ‘Episode I-V END’ while doing the screen for the mid-episode break. Then opened the second half with ‘Episode I Tea Party’ or something. I just reread the actual Tea Party in the game and it was awesome. Do so yourself and tell me there’s no difference.

Also, in the actual Tea Party it may have been slightly confusing but there are hints right there as to what’s going on. The fact that it’s actually a separate extra makes all the difference to the belief that it’s somehow ongoing and a couple characters came back to life.

The game made it clear in the Episode 1 end-credits that all the characters were dead. In the anime you really don’t feel like the last four characters died at all. You select an ‘extra’ story called a Tea Party and the characters are happily discussing what happened in the Episode.

The problem is in the way it’s put across. On one hand (anime) it feels like a direct continuation and is beyond confusing. On the other (VN) it feels like a side-story.

32. Kanao says:

“Since it says things like ‘Episode I-V’ anyway it should have said ‘Episode I-V END’ while doing the screen for the mid-episode break. Then opened the second half with ‘Episode I Tea Party’ or something”

Thinking about it, it may even have made a lot more sense if, instead of showing someone finding a letter in a bottle, they copied the VN and had some scrolling text explaining the end of the Episode before opening to the Tea Party.

33. Pitviper72 says:

It would surely seem clearer if they handled it like that, but I’m saying that anime viewers will come to somewhat “understand” it later, when the series’ setup begins to become more clear, so it’s not TOO big of a deal…

(And, I did read the end of Episode I and the Tea Parties shortly before the episode aired)

Anyway, I don’t think there’s much use in continuing this discussion any further…

34. windy says:

Yes, it was very confusing for me, I haven’t gone through the visual novel and can’t compare but in “Higurashi”, we had a certain continuation with some parts changing here and there, maybe this would also follow its footsteps later on, I hope so because in the first one we had it clear that the characters were doomed to die then revive all the time due to the wheel of fate, and what was more realistic in a certain way is that they didn’t remember anything but here seeing the characters being aware of their previous deaths just doesn’t fit right in, that’s what I feel and then seeing the witch calling herself Beatrice appearing out of nowhere just for teasing the main character seems also out of place and makes the fabulous mystery that we were right into lose its effect.

35. C Rosenkreutz says:

If there’s going to be a supernatural deus ex machina in a mystery series, it’s much better to bring it out in the beginning rather than wait until the last episode. I can think of a few anime that would have been better doing this.

It doesn’t look good in any medium. Arguably, the anime version is more honest as it doesn’t try to hide that it makes no sense.

Just be glad that we don’t have to wait months for the next episode at this point with the anime.

36. Camario says:

I thought it was slightly confusing at first, but even as someone who had only watched the anime so far, it seemed implicit that we aren’t supposed to take everything at face value precisely because Beatrice is trying to force Battler to do so.

At this point the show seems to be taking off into a more meta direction, which isn’t necessarily bad, but it definitely changes the rules and for that reason I wouldn’t attempt to make sense out of everything right now.

Even the leaps of logic the characters make might be a little too sudden for the viewer, so it’s best to wait and see how things develop.

Other than that, the episode was interesting and entertaining enough. I’d really like to see what can they come up with next.

37. vic says:

YOU THINK THAT BEATRICE WAS THE CULPRIT? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Everyone lost at the beggining of the history, ONLY because beatrice shows up and say se made everything you think she is the culprit? did you really see higurashi? the culprit were aliens and oyashirosama like rena thought in her arc?????

YOU HAVE TO KNOW THAT

Those who enjoy stupid puzzles that are made to be solved can leave now.

Umineko no Naku Koro ni is the worst kind of tale, created without any intention of letting all of you solve it.

I really cant’ beleive how wrong the review of this episode was, i didn’t read the visual novel but i saw higurashi and IT’S OBVIOUS that all that we see IS NOT THE REAL THING and i also think that the culprit is human, I REALLY EJOY THIS EPISODE IS WAS AMAZING AND AN ICNREDIBLE MINDRAPE, i think that the tea part was all a show to made battler surrender but i don’t know why.

btw BERKANSTEL IS RIKA???????????

38. Kanao says:

Umineko: Episode 1 – Witch’s Tea Party: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg9WDP2UkHw&feature=channel_page

This is the original scene (from the VN) where Beatrice and Bernkastel converse. The final couple of minutes of the anime episode. The quality isn’t great and the text appears smoothly in the actual game but it’s good. A better example would be the actual Tea Party extra but I can’t find it on youtube. Anyone want to record it? Or recommendations on how I could record it myself in good quality?

39. kaboom says:

It’ll make more sense once they get farther into the second arc, trust me. (although the entire thing is still a bit contradictory by nature)

Next episode won’t help you much at all, I’m afraid, but it will be very fun. LOL.

40. windy says:

I also believe that someone is behind all this, that’s obvious enough but even so that doesn’t exclude the existence of the witch Beatrice herself because Hanyu was the reincarnation of Oyashiro sama, if I’m not wrong? So, we clearly saw here two witches talking together about the “big plot” or events that will take place, didn’t we? Now someone else is undoubtfully pulling the strings behind the curtains, the question is who is it?! That’s what will be unravelled further on but this episode sounded like a play where the actors themselves overplay their characters, now the four previous episodes were pure awesomeness and this one wasn’t bad ,just under the level, it remains one of the best shows of the season anyway.

41. Rui Brennan says:

My own view on the series (which is neither canon nor valid) that can help on enjoying the anime is the following: The ‘souls’ of the dead are gathering in the purgatorio (“metaworld”, as known in the VN) and discussing about their own deaths. All the people thinks that the witch killed everyone (ey, maybe they will be revived if they think like that) but battler is stubborn and does not really think that a witch killed them all. So the witch shows herself and, from this point on, will try to “convince” the soul of battler (“meta-battler” in the VN) that she exists – so she can become a real being in the real world.

Welcome to Rokkenjima, and enjoy the battle with the witch! did she really existed in the real world and killed everyone. Is she lying so she can exist? Is up to meta-battler (and you) to decide!

42. Westlo says:

I don’t know why people are surprised psgels thought Beatrice was behind the murders.. this is the same person who thought Alto died at the end of Episode 24 of Macross Frontier.. he’s ah gullible lol.

That said Beatrice exists Uuuuuuuuuu!

43. chounokoe says:

I think all that this bickering leads to is for psgels to drop the anime at one point or the other.
    It’s one thing to point out little details within the already aired episodes, but always saying ‘But in the VN! But in the VN!’ is not going to help, neither is calling him gullible or stupid bringing him any closer to enjoying it. So let’s just refrain from using the comments as ANOTHER battleground for anime vs. visual novel wars…in the end I think this is one of the few readable blogs about Umineko (being neither unreflected praise or just plain hate).

44. Machi says:

@chounuokoe: Agreed big time. While I haven’t watched this episode, and have no knowledge of the Visual Novel, I certainly don’t think it would help in appreciation to simply boil it down to ‘But in the VN! But in the VN!’. And in this case with the comments its just boiled down to just that, with disbelief being suspended in favor of knowledge beforehand.

45. vic says:

i didn’t play the visual novel but i also think psgels made a horrible review XD i just can’t beleive how simple is his logic BEATRICE KILL EVERYONE SHE EXISTS I SEE HER AGAIN IN THE PREVIEW FOR THE NEXT EPISODE WTF like i said before, the culprit were aliens and oyashirosama like rena thought in her arc????? NO in complex animes like this we have to use our brains that’s what i love from umineko and what i love from episode 5 WE HAVE TO THINK in my opinion beatrice didn’t kill everyone but well i have to wait what happen next.

PD: psgels didn’t even mention the appearence of bernkanstel =P

46. windy says:

Who is Bernkanstel anyway?

47. chounokoe says:

@windy: Just wait and see, there is still so much more to come.
    At this point she is just an enigmatic witch, who enjoys teasing Beatrice.

48. vic says:

@windy: to know that you need to see AT LEAST the ova 4 from higurashi rei.

49. Machi says:

Just watched the episode… Odd that people say that you fail if you believe in witches but then you get that totally odd scene that comes up from no where that in a sense proves their existence, or it could just be bad writing. Namely the second tea party that obviously is outside the domain of any of the sight of the survivors. Course you could just discount the entire 2nd half as a dream but that scene still stands as an anomaly to any logic. Simply put that scene just shouldn’t be there.

50. superseaslug says:

It is obvious that witches do exist. Now if the murders on Rokkenjima were done by a witch, that’s a completely different story. And I think I understand Battler’s refusal in believing that his whole family was butchered by something as ridiculous as a witch.

51. vic says:

clap clap superseaslug i was waiting for someone intelligent here.

52. windy says:

Bernkanstel was a witch that traveled through different worlds and has been living for a thousand years, isn’t it ? I didn’t realize at first glance that “Umineko no naku koro ni” would be so linked to “Higurashi” in every single way, there’s a kinda ” Tsubasa- xxx holic” link between them.

53. Westlo says:

“neither is calling him gullible or stupid bringing him any closer to enjoying it. ”

He is gullible, just look at his comments for any romance anime he has followed. One ep Girl A has won for sure and than the next ep no it’s Girl B! Also he seems to fall for character deaths so often it’s not funny.

54. Larien says:

I don’t get this show at all… I mean, WTF is going on?

I really hate Maria – it’s so unlike me to hate a kid, but she is so obnoxious that it’s almost unbearable. And like you said in an earlier post, she’s so blatantly nuts and evil and NO ONE SEES IT.

I dunno I’m thinking of dropping this show, I don’t like it anymore.

55. Yumi says:

This is what happens when you grow up watching under the influence of Disney and Looney Tunes; the dumbing down of your thought process with simple, linear storylines.

Anyone with a brain would figure out that if the writer was Ryukishi07, the same person who concocted the masterpiece called Higurashi, would have plot twists. Have you learned nothing from his writing style? If it’s the introduction to the series (Higurashi: Onikakushi-hen, Umineko: Episode I-I~V) you need to take what’s been given to you with a grain of salt! Just because K1 saw Mion and Rena trying to inject him with a syringe doesn’t mean it really happened. Just because you saw Beatrice appear doesn’t mean witches exists.

56. Nanima says:

I just found a great article on this episode, which I think will clear some things up for anime viewers:
    (WARNING: DO NOT READ THIS UNLESS YOU WATCHED HIGURASHI AT LEAST UNTIL REI EPISODE 4)

This was NOT written by me.

57. windy says:

to vic: In Higurashi, ” Oyashiro sama or aliens like you say” didn’t appear and announce they killed everyone either, if you compare the two , you have to take that into account.

I watched some episodes of KonoSuba yesterday, reminds me of Those Who Hunt Elves. And I suppose it might be an easy recommendation because it mainly comes down to; do you find it funny? or fun? If not, skip.
While yes its true of watching those slice of life shows week by week is better, I felt that when reading the manga for Aria it was easier to marathon by reading it rather than watching.
Flying witch have the same atmosphere, but it's a purely slice of life anime. I love Aria too and I agree that watching it 1 episode a time is the best way to enjoy it. Can't think of other serious anime that have those calming elements for now
Yeah, I noticed they all have pretty different structures from one another (ACCA's political, Mushishi's naturalistic, Monster is a thriller, Rakugo's about a specific art form, 3-gatsu is ostensibly about Shogi, etc.) but I found that I found some similar calming elements in them (to different degrees of course).
Thanks, I'll definitely check Aria out!
One of the hardest shows to marathon besides Bakemonogatari. Though Bakomono gave me a headache after a few episodes whereas Aria just had me so mellow that I could drift into sleep at any second.
Don't know if you could call it a sub genre as the examples you listed are all really different from each other.
Though in the vein of calming shows I think you can add the Aria series to the list. That show is so relaxing that you find yourself nodding off to it. Not out of boredom but it just has that effect on you.
Do you guys know if there's a specific subgenre like this, or am I making it up? And are there other anime with that kind of feel. Not exactly slice of life, but in the general vicinity of it.
The Great Passage was another great example. It delved into the seemingly boring subject matter of dictionary-making, but it was a surprisingly charming show. 3-Gatsu no Lion also looks promising, I enjoyed a lot of the first season (but wasn't a fan of the forced comedy sometimes).
Like the episode where Tenma first meets Grimmer on the train to Prague and they have a picnic on the mountain was so dang good. I really need to rewatch that.
There are some elements of that style in other shows too, but to a lesser extent. Like some parts of Rakguo (mainly season 1) was very soothing. Naoki Urasawa's Monster had some fantastic, almost melancholic episodes like this.
It seems that most anime w/ that kind of style usually also have another genre mixed in. Mushishi was also very naturalistic, ACCA had a political underpinning.
It's sort of in the vein of a "Mushishi" style show. I suspect it's an emerging subgenre of slice of life that's meant to be very calming, relaxing, atmospheric which I really am digging.
I really hope there are more shows like it; not that it was perfect, but it was certainly unique and hit a lot more than it missed. I really like those cool, quiet shows you can enjoy with a nice cup of tea before you go to sleep.
Ironically though, I would say that the first half of ACCA (up until the big flashback) is better enjoyed week by week, or at least that's what I found.
@Mario: It felt good marathoning a show again rather than waiting week by week and next weekend I'll probably marathon house of five leaves.
@Mario: Forgot to mention...there were certainly a share of moments in Acca that feel fanservish to the female audience =P
@Aidan: haven't noticed that. Will fix it soon.
@Mario, Only problem I can see is that the posts have no spaces in between paragraphs.
... to be near my laptop for an entire week. First time that I had to blog entirely through my phone. Seemed to work out fine but I had to borrow screenshots from other source (I thank you that other source) ^^
*unless* rather than *as long as*. This has been a crazy week for me as I didn't have a chance
@anon1039488: I find the idea of limiting excess to exclusively stream an aime is a dumb idea; because as long as people have a chance to expose to the anime they won't really care to check it out. So I detest owning the legal streaming account, but I always pay back by buying DVDs/Blurays that I liked
I watched House of Five Leaves by the same mangaka and I really enjoyed it. Nataume Ono is a pretty excelent storyteller (a bit mixed on her art-style thou)
@Kaiser: I agree that the first dew episodes of ACCA were not that engaging but the endingg neatly tied up all loose ends. I still feel Grossular's act is kind of messy (why was he under such control from Lilium? He's not that kind to be in such passive role to be honest) but other than those I don't have any real complaints.
Competition is good, but it makes it cost so much to legally watch everything. That's why a lot of people pirate I feel.
You have Crunchryoll and Funi, fine. Then there's Daisuki which is kinda random. Then Amazon, Netflix, and Hulu all have some random anime, though it seems that mainly Amazon has current series
I don't have Amazon Strike, which is like their new venture into anime I guess. There's too many streaming services to keep up with tbh
To be honest I'm pretty crap when it comes to supporting things, I don't pay for almost all the things I watch/read/play, I don't have a crunchy or amazon account, I still pirate legal streams.
@Anon: Is it a case that your country is blocked? Maybe go for a vpn? If you absolutely have to you could pirate the show...
I wanna watch Re:Creators but don't have Amazon... :( alas
I feel like I need to wait and see approach with sekaisuru Kado...this prologue phase is...long...
I wish it had been 24 episodes long though to better organize itself.
Favourite characters were Jean, Groslur and Nino.
Can’t say I cared for the goofy interactions between Jean’s workfriends though.
Yet for whatever I could say about the pacing, when the twists happen they creep up on you and the show mostly lands every one of them, even if I’m not exactly pleased that sometimes the series does the “I pulled it out of the hat/ass” approach.
I’m relatively indifferent on the art/animation.
I did feel it picks up, improves by the mid-mark and to an extent the wait is worth it and things do come together even if I wasn’t always totally confidant with how it was getting there.
Having the protagonist go from district to district to flesh out the settings a decent enough idea and the main characters a fairly chill, cool guy.
Though the dialogue does create suspicion, intrigue, it does also plod/pad in equal measure at times.
Finally decided to sit down and watch Acca.
This show had its lovers/haters I’m sure, having watched it my feelings are mixed.
It is a slight breath of fresh air I’ll give it that and makes me want to maybe re-assess of adaptations of the author’s work.
@Mario: The only assayas film I've encountered so far that I disliked was Irma Vep, even though the lead actress was great, the surrounding performances, especially by Jean-Pierre-Lenaud were awful. Sils Maria I was initially evasive of because I'd heard that the relationship between Binoche and Stewarts characters was under-unexplored.
@Kaiser: Weersathakul's films are something else entirely...Otherworldly yet still cinematic. I feel a bit underwhelmed after watching the Unknown girl. The identity of the culprit, for example, feel forced for me that take me out our their naturalistic style. I'mmin between Clouds of sils maria too, know it's a good movie but it feels pretentous at times, like the movie Youth
@Mario: I also got round to watching Unknown girl by Dardenne, it carries enough moments of their brilliance but I felt they didn’t have as much mastery over their usual pacing style this time round, for the first time it felt like a thriller that played out like a drama, rather than a drama that has a pseudo thriller feel to it.
Going to watch Clouds of sils Maria next.
@Mario: The entire second half, which I’d have watched an entire film about is very atmospheric and dreamy/esoteric nearing just exactly the kind of thing I like.
The way he uses/shoots Thailands geography along with his cinematography is impressive, particularly in that second half.
@Mario: He shoots something simple like a chopping scene in a strangely engaging way, the scene with the old woman going into the cave is also very impressively shot and that one driving scenes with that pop song in the background has an airy feel to it.
In some ways I agree that there’s a bit of sensuality to it.
@Mario: It’s the kind of film that feeling tired/relaxed when watching it isn’t a condemnation of it(although a share of moments in the first half could be patience testing), it’s the sort of film where you aren’t really aware of anything outside of watching the film when you watch it.
@Mario: I finally looked into a Weersathakul film, Tropical Malady. I don’t even know how to give a star rating for this film.
I'm still on the fence with Alice & Zouroku. Like the title suggests, the warm chemistry between those two are its strongest point, but those moments are far and few in between as the story progresses and I don't care one bit about the Red Queen storyline. I might drop this one if the story doesn't improve
@Lenlo: 3 episodes anf Berserk still hasn't grabbed me as much. Yep facial expressions are really off-putting
Man... the facial expression in Berserk for the 3D models are, ever so slowly, killing me.
Alright. Tommarrow I will get out all those posts I am late on seeing as the impressions are all finished.
SukaSuka still has me mixed. On one hand there really are some great ideas and some well executed moments. But some of the dialogue is a bit typical of a light novel and the fanservice is really shameless. The massage at the end of the episode was something the show could really do without.
Konstantinos Travlos
I am in love with RE:Creators. I have no idea if they will keep it as good, but these two first episodes did all the right things.
Alright, Easter made me lazy so it's time to play catch up.
@Puran: Or even Georgiou Nikolaidis while I'm at it, morning patrol is a great mood piece. Not familiar with the other guy.
Puran
@Kaiser: No Grammatikos recommendation? :)
I still enjoy Zero pretty much. I like the contrast between the beastfallen and Zero. The hilarious lines sound more like accidental to me, not the best product but I enjoy the ride so far
@Kaiser: agree with everything you said. Apparently Haneke put Flashmob on hold because the main actress was conflicting in her schedule, so he decided to do Happy End instead
@Aidan: Does the old man represent gritty anime of old? I don't know honestly I'm just throwing it out there.
@Mario: In case you hadn't heard, Haneke dropped the Flashmob movie and is now doing one about the refugee crisis.
@Mario: To whoever will be playing Godard in that biopic, I'd wonder if they could capture how incredibly douchey he sounds irl lol
@Mario: There is such a big divide between 50s/60s Bresson and 70s/80s Bresson.
@Mario: Lathimos and Avaranas remind me in an odd way of Tarr in that they're the only Greek filmakers people seem to talk about , Check out Koundorous and Theodorous Angelopolous' works if you can.
@Mario: Meh, I don't like that sort of overly on the nose social commentary some American films and tv shows do in recent years.
@Mario: Godards extremely hit or miss with me. Hazanavicius did the artist I think, but I'd sooner recommend Biancnieves as a stronger example of a modern take on silent cinema or maybe a Guy Maddin film.
@Mario: Lotznitza directed a gentle creature not Zvyagintsev, though the latter is a fantastic director, Leviathan's ending hit me very very hard, its gut punching and I appreciated that the return never went into too much detail regarding the father.
@Kaiser: off topic, I didn't realize Get Out having such buzz reception. It's coming here next week so I will get to watch it
@Kaiser: Michel Hazanavicius makes a biopic about Jean-Luc Godard and Anne Wiazemsky (the actress in Au Hasard Balthazard), which I think will be interesting. I considered The Lobster one of the best film out of that year so I anticipate his next movie a hell lot. Yep, I watched few movies from Andrey Zvyagintsev and he certainly is in my radar. Bleak, social commentary, technical impressive
Oh, it's confirmed that was what was actually said in Japanese. Well...that's rather cringe worthy.
@Anon, Can't say I am too fond of it myself. Though that arrow to the knee reference definitely sounds like something the translator added in.
Holy shit Zero is hilarious. "I used to be a mercenary like you once. But then I took an arrow to the knee." "My magic is super weak so I need a powerful offering. Can you loan me your head please?" The comedy is so pointed and understated.
I do like how contrasting Zelda is to Nier in the sense that. Zelda cares more about how the game plays and making the player have fun constantly but doesn't care about telling something. Nier Automata doesn't care what it throws to the player but cares a lot about it tells the things that happen to player.
I think this is a hard game to score. Mainly because IMO the combat has wear out a bit do to the repetition and the sidequests have been a mixed bag with some being relevant to the plot or themes and some being just fodder to level up. On the other hand the game has a lot of implications, subtext and symbolism that so far has been enriching to reflect upon.
@Vonter, Actually wrote up 4/5s of a review on Nier Automata but with the new season I haven't had time to finish writing the review. Though my thoughts on it are similar to yours.
Nier Automata has a 10+ hour prologue. So far the game feels like it's more interested in delivering strong emotions than a compelling narrative, not that script is poor but seems disjointed in a way, circling around the themes of existentialism, purpose and truth without overexpositing about these things. It also some moments remind me of Fragile Dreams. Like the despair.
The old man is the one I can't pin down. Been thinking he might represent the kind of anime that's critically lauded but sadly unpopular. Makes sense as he's one of the few on the opening that doesn't stand near ads for his anime. Or else he's a live action drama representative.
Been wondering about the Re:Creators characters. We got the obvious representatives from Magical girl, Mecha, Light novel and video game. The knight girl looks like clear homage to Saber from Fate so a Visual novel representive? The psycho girl looks to be a chunni anime representative. And the guy who appeared at the end of ep 2 is clearly Shounen.
@Mario: The Ramsay one sticks out as the most interesting to me as does the lathimos one. I'm curious about that Russian one about the woman looking for her imprisoned husband as I'd like to watch more contempory Russian films.
@Mario: If you can get passed the accents Ramsay did a strong piece of social realism in the 90s called Ratcatcher.
@Mario: I think the only Baumbach film I've seen is Frances Ha and I liked the new wavey feel it had. With The lobster and re-watching dogtooth I was able to get into Lathimos' pitch black humour alot more. I've never actually seen a hong-sang so film.
@Amagi, I still really enjoy it but I do get what you mean. Looking at the series overall so far it does feel like there was lost potential.
I honestly still don't know what to think of LWA. I wasn't a fan of the formularic first half but the second half doesn't really catch me either. I loved the first OVA though.
Well I will be damned. That G Koh commenter managed to predict the inclusion of Yggdrasil in Little Witch Academia. Nicely done.
@Kaiser: sadly i won't make it this year. I wanna try the Toronto International Film Fest next time whenever I have a chance
@Kaiser:you heard about this year's Cannes selection?Overall it's solid, not many that scream "masterpiece" for me.Overall I'm exciting for Hong Sang Soo's new movies (he has 2 movies screening at Cannes and 1 already aired at Berlin.What the hell),and The Killing of the Scared Deer(Yorgos Lnthimos), You were never really here (Lynne Ramsay),Okja(Bong Joon Ho) and Meyerowitz Stories(Noah Baubach)
Hmmm...just found out That Blame! 2017 is being done by a the Ajin director, not sure how I felt about that.
Think this is the best time to end the series too as the difficultly was getting to be a bit too cheap.
Lore wise it's pretty disappointing. Ending the game with an enemy that doesn't really have that much relevance. But Gameplay wise it was excellent. The final area was just beautiful.
Ringed City was a great piece of DLC and a good way to end the series imo.
Dark souls sure can give you workout. Finally got around to finishing the ringed city DLC. Funny thing is that people were raving about how hard Midir was when I didn't have that much trouble with him. Gaol gave me some trouble but I managed it. Hardest was the demon prince and god I hate multi stage boss fights. Such a goddamn pain.
Atom still waiting for suitable subs. I swear to God, for a completist like myself the wait is unbearable, especially it should've been available already
HelghastKillzone
Yes it is.
Anonymous1020539
I mean...
Anonymous1020539
Re:producers is really great
@Aidan: I can see myself chancing more of it, I kind of caught into its rhythm a bit.
Novels are actually really short. About 90 pages long per volume. They really could cover this in a single cour.
@Kaiser, SukaSuka? From what I could tell it covered the first two chapters of the light novel. Each novel has 5 chapters. Though the first and last chapter are more of a prologue and epilogue respectively.
Actually if shuumatsu's first episode is going faster than the novel, roughly how much so? Its still obviously a slow burn in animated format but how much was covered in episode 1?
Could have done without the huge infodump but otherwise still loving Re:Creators. Seeing a magical girl shocked over her own level of destructive power was great.
Eh, I liked the use of music early on in shuumatsu and theres a good mood set up early on along with a good opening scene but the later parts of the episode except maybe for the after credits bit get a shrug from me.
@Mario: Kado has made its hook, now it needs not to keep holding its cards and get going.
hmmm, don't know what to think about Kado ep2. Still good but I expected more
But really my mentality is that this site comes first. Getting more traffic and improve the site are my top priorities, then "what I wanna do for myself" comes later
@Travlos: guess you won't have to read me this season :). Haven't checked out the last episode of Kado yet but based from the first 2 episodes I think you'd enjoy that show.
Don’t worry. It’s something Aidan and me both agree on. We pretty much write for ourselves, otherwise we couldn’t have stayed this long. I get a chance to go off track once in a while to write something I wanna write.
Konstantinos Travlos
@SuperMario. I am definitely watching Shingeki no Koyjin 2, Shingeki no Bahamut 2, Re:Creators, Little Witch Academia, and probably Kado and Zero Kara. I may also do Zipang this season.
On the reaction reaction. What you say is ok. But remember, a hobby is something you do for yourself. There is a limit to how much you should care about the views of others. :)
@Lenlo: Or if I can use a quote from Chang from Black lagoon : "A fragranced shit will forever still retain the smell of shit"
As most likely the biggest Berserk fan in this chatbox, its better but that doesnt make it good. Spraying fabreeze on crap doesnt make it any more appealing. Yet I will watch it anyways.
You don't even know
Lies Aidan it is soooo much better
Tbh I'm enjoying Alice to Zouroku so much simply because I identify with the old guy's no-nonsense attitude. It's fun to see the annoying loli get put in her place. X.D
Anyway Bam is supposed to be covering it. Seeing as he covered the first season.
@Anon, I watched the first episode of the second season. Better? Yes, but only slightly.. It has all the same problems as the first season.
and nobody's covering it lol
Like dramatically
It really is much better
You know guys its not too late to start watching Berserk Season 2...
I just get annoyed when interaction is like "HUMAN, YOUR EMOTION RESPONSE IS DIFFERENT. I THEORIZE THIS IS THE REASON YOUR EMOTIONAL RESPONSE IS DIFFERENT."
Their is a definite layer of pretentiousness in how it's written, seeing how nobody gets annoyed when every character tries to psychological profile them.
@Mario, I have heard word that these two episodes were a prologue story and the real story is going to kick into gear next episode. But if the characters keep talking like this then it's not going to matter what happens. It will just be terrible.
@Anon, Jojo part 5 died for this. That makes it all the sadder. Plus it's two cour so this show is gonna be on for half a year.
Being said all that I will follow it for 1 more episode
And then that girl who passed away because of the reset. I feel my emotions drying up at that point. Tasteless. Heartless
Wanna say the same thing regarding Sagrada Reset as well. I have the feeling the show tries to sound smart that ultimately if I hear someone talks like this in real life, I would go punch his face. Manipulating the social worker by slitting your own wrist? WHAT? Asking a girl about her rules, then whenever she answers you give your own warped opinions on it to sound like you know it all? WHAT
@Aidan: Lol, Sagrada reminds me of how I used to write. Pretentious, overly complex dialogue that nobody would use in real life unless they were trying too hard. It grits on my ears so much that I don't think I can keep watching it, especially because this is probably how it's going to be for the whole series.
@Amagi: I feel your pain. I used to enjoy those types of shows, but I've found more and more since getting out of high school that they just make me want to take a nap. It doesn't help that they're everywhere. X.D
God Sagrada Reset is frustrating. So many good ideas, all absolutely ruined by the dialogue and characters. If you just changed the dialogue a bit and made the characters emote more then this would be so very interesting. But they manage to drain the life out of the story.
@Amagi, in most cases you can easily write off the ones not worth your time based on the summery. Occasional those kinds of show can turn out to be worth watching but it just doesn't happen often enough.
Nothing against those types of anime in general, but it's just not aimed at me I guess. - I also should specify: school (semi)harem, not school alone. I enjoy Tsuki ga Kirei.
I really love this season but I should stop testing the school- and shoujo stuff. It's almost never worth the time and it always bores me so much that I have to stop watching anime for a few hours.
@Travlos: Why does a hobbyist artist care when someone critiques their art or a fanfic writer care about reader feedback? When you do something you enjoy, it's normal to want to improve and other people's opinions are important for that.
@Travlos: because 1) We still need to listen to what readers say to improve and 2) we're debating more about rating system, which I also feel the need of upgrading. btw, any shows that catch your interests so far this season?
Konstantinos Travlos
Why do you guys care about what someone thinks about your reviews? You are doing a good enough thing as is, and t is a hobby. Do your thing and do not lose time on this.
I think I'm just gonna follow sukasuka and re:creators this season. Seem to of shown the most potential universally.
Soy and almond milk are also available as alternatives for the lactose intolerant.
From the manga it seems like it would translate well into an anime with the right production values so I think I'm going to try it. I was mostly concerned that they'd push the melodrama even more through the roof, haha. I did see some of the reviews on it here and they made me hopeful that it was fairly well-executed.And of course the milk can be chocolate. Just not vanilla, vanilla milk is yuck i
Its certainly making me happy I waited until the end of the season to binge it.
I'd have the milk as well... Need more milk to my life.
Hope Scum's Wish entertains you, Lenlo. ^^
I will say the sound design has been great for Scums Wish though I have not read the manga to see how it matches up
I dont think "enjoyed" is the right word for this kind of show, but I do know im going to finish it.

Also, can the milk be chocolate?
@Lenlo: That's true, but I also feel like everyone here needs some milk. And I've been reading the Scum's Wish manga and can't decide if it'll be worth it to watch the anime.
Scums Wish, 4 episodes in, has been the perfect little dose of depression I crave from each anime season.
I have to say, its a pretty fun break from super srs anime discussion sometimes
There's so much sass in this chatbox sometimes I can't even. :.D
Also please note that if data gathering results do not support your hypothesis that there will be no refunds
I will have you know my data gathering services are quite expensive and I don't operate until paid.
Aidan is providing the data for us.
You do know that for the scientific method, you make a hypothesis and then you run experiments to produce data to prove or disprove said hypothesis. It cant just sit in limbo and then you go "I was right". You have to provide data at some point. At this point, you have yet to provide any data to support what you say.
Sir Robin
You seem to have never heard of the scientific method then Aidan. You don't need proof before you formulate an hypothesis. Fortunately this most recent development of you being wrong supports it.
I am sure Sir Robin would be delighted to hear this but I think I was wrong in my assessment of SukaSuka(Shūmatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii Desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii Desu ka?) That insert song at the begining of the episode was masterful and a number of things have changed my mind about it. It may be more interesting than I first expected. First novel was still pretty boring though.
Should have another impressions post up today. As for what I am covering that's Little Witch Academia, Attack on Titan and Sekaisuru Kado.
At least we never have to fight tooth and nail to cover something as what we want to cover never clashes.
Which mean 2 PA Works, 2 original shows and 3 slice-of-life shows. Well done Mario for being predictable and consistently boring as ever

Uchoten Kazoku 2 – 03 [The Scent of Europe]

Dear, how this show spoils me with its magnificent and whimsical magical realism Kyoto world. Last season, we were treated with many Eureka moments like Benten pulling a whale’s tail; tanuki drinking in a floating house to enjoy Gozan Fire Festival, or a fake train running around the shopping mall. Whatever the case, the way […]

Seikaisuru Kado – 03[Wam]

I admit this show moves at a pace that is rather slow but he concept it sets up is truly brilliant. Normally in alien invasion stories the threat is clear as the aliens blow up the white house and attack humanity. Other versions usually paint humans as the antagonist force attacking something they don’t understand. […]

Shingeki no Kyojin(Attack on Titan) – 29[Soldier]

Before I started this episode, I had it in mind to write in this post that the titan designs of this season were far less intimidating and more comical. After this episode however you can consider that though solely retracted. Personal favorite is the titan that appears when Reiner opened the stairway door. If I […]

Tsuki ga Kirei – 03 [Howling at the Moon]

Tsuki ga Kirei sure understands about the life of 14-year-old kids would be like. I’m sure we all have different experience about that pre-teen stage of our life, but the life portrayed here is so vivid and true to life that it brings out our fond memories as well. Personally, while not much really happen […]

Sakura Quest – 03 [The Cry of the Mandrake]

“The one who can change the town is the young fool outsider” Which kind of makes sense, since the outsider’s perspective will give a fresh take to improve the town. That makes our Queen Yoshino the perfect candidate, but as the interview goes on, she learns the truth: she hardly knows anything about the town, […]

Little Witch Academia – 15[Chariot of Fire]

Shiny Chariot rides once again and I think that’s where most of the animation went besides the showcase at the end of the episode. Wise choice though as it shows that Ursula hasn’t dulled much in her later years. She still seems intent on keeping her identity secret from Akko though this may be because […]

Shingeki no Kyojin(Attack on Titan)- 28[Southwestward]

It’s more than a little frustrating when you have a character present who has answers to very important questions, yet refuses to speak up for rather contrived reasons. Though we don’t quite know why the priest doesn’t speak up I can’t really think of anything that would possibly be preventing him from doing so. This […]

Seikaisuru Kado – 02[Novo]

This episode answers the question of just what was happening to the plane survivors during the period the government were trying to break into the cube. The answer seems to be that they were interacting with an alien lightform. This episode does feel like the series is still in its introduction stage and likely the […]

Uchoten Kazoku 2 – 02 [The Conjurer Tenmaya]

The Eccentric Family becomes increasingly eccentric this week, with all the business about bear running wild and a strong reference to hell (who would’ve thought that?). But first, I’m delighted with two new returns this week. The first “return” is the OP that were sorely missing last week, in which we have the opening song […]

Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon (Winter 2017) Review – 74/100

Scum’s Wish (Winter 2017) Review – 80/100

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Review – 90/100

When you have watched a large amount of anime you can come to assume that you have learned a lot about Japanese culture. Though I think it’s testament to how limited it is to view Japan through anime when you come to realize that despite watching so much, you have never heard of Rakugo. Rakugo […]

Youjo Senki Saga of Tanya the Evil Review – 80/100

Isekai stories have become somewhat of a tiresome genre as of late. There have been many stories of people being transported/reincarnated into other worlds where they shed their once pitiful exterior and become some legendary figure in another world. In most cases it’s trit, balant childish wish fulfilment and the stories often become tiresome when […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. (Winter 2017) Review – 83/100

Imagine my utmost amazement when a show that I wasn’t that confident on taking in the beginning turned out to be one of the most solid offering this season had to offer. ACCA is the most recent anime adaptation from mangaka Natsume Omo, which despite isn’t a household name, many of her works (6 titles […]

Demi-chan wa Kataritai (Winter 2017) Review – 62/100

Demi-chan is one of the newest addition to the monster girl subgenre, which usually feature a human helpless male lead get stuck in a harem of mythical creatures, in form of oversized boob girls of course (why usually those monsters are in female forms anyways? Aren’t they sexless?). In this case, we have monster girls […]

Seiren (Winter 2017) Review – 51/100

Let me say this out front, Seiren is NOT a good show, it’s a highly uneven one. Throughout its run, I can see some solid moments and fresh ideas that could potentially raise it above the bar, but ultimately, view it as a whole, Seiren is a show that isn’t worth recommending. At first, I’m […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100