Posted by psgels on 30 July 2009 with categories: Umineko no Naku Koro ni

As much as I don’t care about the original visual novel, I have to admit that this episode stretched even my suspense of disbelief. Battler just acted way too weird in this episode, it just doesn’t make any sense.

So basically, the bodies continue to fall when Natsuhi commits suicide. Butterflies then appear again, Battler tries to shoot them, the eye-catch appears… and suddenly Kanon, Sharon and Natsuhi are perfectly fine and everyone acts like nothing happens! Sure, I can see how Beatrice is screwing with everyone’s mind by magically reviving everyone and all… but what happened to the others? There isn’t even a single mention of them! And besides, everyone was talking like they just returned from a Beach resort, instead of a murderous mansion.

Then Battler’s refusal to believe in the existence of witches. Sure, I believed that too until the end of the previous episode. HOWEVER he completely seemed to accept that everyone and his dog came back to life, and yet he never even questions it, and yet he doesn’t want to believe that Beatrice killed them. That just doesn’t make any sense.

Overall, I’m a bit disappointed that it really was Beatrice who killed off everyone, but let’s see what the rest of the series can do to spice things up. This show now seems to be developing into a battle of wits between Beatrice and Battler, but I wonder how the creators are going to make this interesting without making Beatrice Mary-Sueing Battler over and over.

I’m intrigued by that letter in a bottle from Maria, though. What was up with that, and could that one explain what happened to the real Maria? So that Maria was basically killed and replaced by some thing that could keep an eye around for Beatrice?

Oh boy, this really reminds me back to the first season of Higurashi. I remember how my love for that series was also as inconsistent as he series itself.
Rating: – (Disappointing)

1. chounokoe says:

I’m quite surprised that you found this episode disappointing, I highly expected an ‘Awesome’ here…but well I think it depends.

Without spoiling too much and just spicing up the interest a bit: Are you sure that Beatrice killed everyone?! What did you see and what did you not see? What was possible and what was not?
    Just like Battler doubted, is it right to say ‘It was a witch’ immedeatly after you run out of options?

2. psgels psgels says:

Yeah, I was expecting that too, but this time I guess my suspense of disbelief couldn’t keep up. I agree with Battler, actually: Jessica and the others were too quick to give up… but I’d be so too if people randomly resurrected from out of nowhere.

But now I get what you mean, yeah. There is no guarantee that Beatrice committed all of the murders. I guess what got me in this episode was the questionable way the characters behaved, rather than anything else.

3. tealovertoma says:

Haha, you and me are like opposites, psgels.

I wasn’t taking the series serious and that’s why I liked this episode, it finally managed to surprise me!

Look at the “cliffhanger” endings of the past 3 episodes, what happened in them: people were left alone… and then they died! Wow, who would have thought. You can pull it off once, but 3 times? Meh.

I didn’t like it when it was trying to take itself all serious yet give the most ridiculous and farfetched explanations with over-the-top reactions and blah blah. You say Battler was acting weird in this episode… but don’t you think *everyone* has been acting weird in *all* of the episodes? No one is acting rational, it’s all stretching beyond suspense of belief. It completely failed to impress me as serious mystery drama, so I was hoping for something out of the ordinary, and I got it now.

First episode I really enjoyed since the first one (second ep was okay).

4. Faust721 says:

This show really does cater to those who are familiar with the game. While I have not played the game (and I don’t plan too anytime soon), I did read up on how the game worked, so some things weren’t confusing.

With said, I did like this episode and am now even more excited about the rest of the show, so perhaps reading a bit on the game may make this show more enjoyable.

5. Faust721 says:

ah crap, I meant to say, “With that said”

6. tealovertoma says:

Yeah I think (despite not having read/seen source material) the main problem with episode 2 and 3 is that they rushed through them. That and characters acting weird and doing weird things.

The anime kept killing off characters I didn’t care about yet and then using their murders for… absolutely nothing. I didn’t feel much suspense.

For this anime I much prefer a more… abstract storyline, what they seem to have going on in this new arc, that you don’t know what’s real and what’s not.

7. Tess says:

After watching the first episodes… I began reading the game. When this episode aired, I had not yet read that part in the game. All I can say is… I still found today’s episode amazing, however it makes a slight bit more sense in the game. Not all that much though, since I assume, we don’t know anything yet!

My guess is we shouldn’t believe so much that the witch is the culprit, and that shouldn’t be a spoiler because I know nothing so far… Just a slightly more detailed rendition of what you know. (VN episode 1 vs. the anime adaption so far, I mean, so it’s the same material.)

I just began reading the second episode of the game… and I hope you will enjoy episode 6! I now know I will.

8. chounokoe says:

@psgels: Are you sure there were people who were ressurected? What makes you believe that anybody apart from Shanon and Kanon were dead at the time this scene was taking place?
    And what makes you believe that Beatrice commited any of the murders at all?
    Because you saw it? Remember what you saw, what you did not see.

Okay, this is more than a bit based on the fun that comes with knowing what is going to follow, but take one thing to heart ‘This is a game of wits, if you accept the witch, you already lost!’

9. Shounen A says:

I’m not even sure anyone is alive at all in the tea party scene. I’m having an image of them taking a rest in limbo before they revive and the killing starts again.

10. Veldril says:

Happy Mind-Raped!!!

If you feel the story is confusing then it’s good, because it supposes to be like that.This is only the beginning so there will a lot of questions left unanswered.

11. blkmage says:

This is where everything really starts.

Welcome to Rokkenjima.

12. Nanima says:

As a visual novel reader I found this epeisode totally awesome.
    They kept in everything important, even Bernkastel!^^
    Sure they’re acting weird to you, because they are supposed to.
    It’s really confusing at this point, even in the VN, because the reader/watcher is suddenly thrown into cold water without knowing what happened.
    Higurashi was the same with Onikakushi where suddenly everyone was back to normal after all the ‘possessed by Oyashiro-sama’ and ‘bloody murder’ stuff everyone acted like nothing was wrong, which was totally confusing for everyone.
    Battler’s role now is to prove that all these murders were done by humans which is going to be really hard when he’s surrounded by ‘magic’ and Beatrice trying to screw with his mind.
    Even those who have read all the VN don’t know yet what is real and what’s not, because we’re still in the ‘Question Arcs’.

13. Paulo says:

I think that the sequence after the eye catch was a clever way to avoid the mistake (imo) made in higurashi 1st season where the reboots just hapened without further explanation; it also served as a nice setup for what I think is going to happen next: battler is gonna try to explain the murders as caused by a human while beatrice will probably up the ante and kill in even more atrange and inexplicable ways to prove him that the culprit cannot be a human – after all, this episode implied that for beatrice to be fully revived everyone needs to believe that she exists… Of course, I say all this without knowing anything about the game or its plot , so I may be completely off chart. Btw loving this series, way better than higurashi…

14. Pitviper72 says:

Wow, somebody gave into the witch easily

Just because Beatrice is a character in the series, doesn’t mean she exists or is the culprit, buddy.

15. C Rosenkreutz says:

Is Battler’s reaction to this unbelievable situation out of character? It’s not if he doesn’t accept what’s going on. Disbelieving the evidence of your own eyes seems reasonable. If it’s not real, it’s easy to stay calm.

Maria and Battler are somewhat in character. I’m not sure about everyone else. Why do they just accept it?

I was disappointed in the same way with this scene in the visual novel.

16. Unentschieden says:

Don´t give up so fast.The biggest Problem with this episode is that the Jump from the story to the Tea Party is so aprupt.

To clarify, the visual Novel ends with the clock striking 24:00 with the “credits” rolling and the mentioning of Marias Letter (which is said to be the story from Marias PoV).

Then you are notified that you are invited by the Golden Witch and the Main menu contains now a Option called “Tea Party” which is basically where everyone discusses the game like actors discussing a movie their just shot.

After reading that the main menu gains “???” which is the part with Bernkastell.

Its slightly less confusing because it´s clearer that the Tea Party isn´t part of the “real” story but more in the real of “TIPS”.

You could think of the “Tea Party” as a inseries Forumdiscussion of the Story. The next episode should make the premise of the series clearer.

17. Kanao says:

Damn, there wasn’t any comments when I read this post earlier but I had to go to work. Hope you still read this.

“As much as I don’t care about the original visual novel”
    I’m not sure what to make of this statement. You completely don’t care about the source material from which this adaption is being adapted (in a glossed-over manner)? As someone that watches as much anime as you do, how can it make sense to totally shun an entire medium of story-telling? Especially seeing as you suggest you enjoy excellent characters and interaction, a speciality of Visual Novels?

Personal opinion on the episode: average. Better than episode 1, 2 (which I was disappointed in), not as good as 3 and better than 4 (back to disappointment). The presentation of the meta-world was nothing special (and clearly confusing to anyone new to Umineko) but it wasn’t horrible. I absolutely loathe the character designs and the addition of Beatrice’s horrible design and voice acting just irritated me further.

And I have to say that a lot of things you found confusing and nonsensical is, again, a fault of the adaption. The second half of the episode takes place in a meta-world which exists for the sole purpose of convincing Battler that magic exists. This meta-world and the characters inside it oversee each loop as it is played out (like a game of chess). George, Jessica, etc. are presumably just ‘magic-exists’/given up versions Beatrice created in attempt to get Battler to surrender.

If you have no intention of ever reading it then you should probably give up attempting to make sense of the anime.

18. JR says:

As others have said, I think you got the wrong impression of the second half of the episode. No one was resurrected. The second half took place in purgatory (which was stated in the visual novel) and not the real world, which was why Beatrice could be standing right and front of him, and yet Battler still could deny her existence in the world of Rokkenjima.

19. Pitviper72 says:

^ I disagree with Kanao, the adaption is not at fault, and the VN readers were almost just as confused by this turn of events as many anime-viewers are

I think this anime is presenting things very well, and giving almost the same feeling as the VN did.

You can indeed make sense of the anime, but you have to give it time to develop. This next arc will set the tone of the series from this point on, so get ready for a fun ride.

20. Paulo says:

So it seems that I’ve fallen like a duck to the red herring, based on the comments… Still, now that I know the nature of the tea party in the visual novel, I cant help but love even more this anime for including it – as I said before, it works as a good setup for the reboot (even if my theories about the next “game” were completly wrong).

As for the visual novel, i don’t think that a lot of people have played it (is there any english version?), and i personally would never play it while the anime is being broadcasted – I really wanna see what’s gonna happen next and not be spoiled.

21. Kanao says:

“You completely don’t care about the source material from which this anime* is being adapted (in a glossed-over manner)?”
    -mistyped.

Also, I forgot to mention that everything that happens in the second half of the episode is unrelated to anything that actually happened in the first loop (aka Episode 1). It is actually an (plot essential) ‘extra’ that you unlock after you finish reading the Episode. The bit with the Rika lookalike is also an extra. The director is an idiot for not showing it as being separate in any way as it really screws up the story telling.

In the visual novel Episode 1 ends when the final four (Battler, George, Jessica and Maria) burst through the door and find Natsuhi’s dead body. Then Maria says congratulations to Beatrice and tells them to look at the clock hitting midnight. There’s no stupid attempts at shooting golden butterflies because Battler never sees magic with his own eyes. There’s a kind of credits roll listing all the deaths (including the final characters being assumed dead) and it gives you some text from Maria’s letter.

There is no reason at all to believe that Beatrice killed everyone in Episode 1.

22. Kanao says:

“As for the visual novel, i don’t think that a lot of people have played it (is there any english version?)”

Actually, a lot of people have. It’s fully translated in English. http://www.witch-hunt.com. Also the highest-scoring Visual Novel on vndb.org at the moment. http://vndb.org/v24

“I cant help but love even more this anime for including it”

It’s impossible to tell the story without including it so it’s not worth praising.

“In addition, Kanao’s comment contains spoilers for future episodes that serve the purpose of making a bit of sense of what happened this episode”

No it doesn’t. I haven’t said anything that isn’t obvious simply from reading Episode 1 – the part that’s been adapted.

23. Pitviper72 says:

24. Kanao says:

“At this point, I think we VN readers should just shut up and let the guy enjoy his anime

He already said he doesn’t care for the VN, and he’s just going to take in the anime for what it is (which, in my opinion, is a faithful adaption so far), so a lot of these comments are pretty pointless.”

Disappointment isn’t the same as enjoyment. All I’ve done is point out something – that totally messed up his perception of the story – is actually misinterpreted due to poor directing. Did you read his post? He’s got the idea that the second half is actually straight after the first half. When I watched it, it was fine because I knew it was separate. But looking at it from another perspective, it’s confusing as hell.

Many visual novel readers that have absolutely no problem with the adaption are simply filling in all the blanks subconsciously. If you’ve been reading anime-only viewer’s impressions, a lot of things that were explained have been ignored in the adaption. I’m not saying it’s a ‘bad adaption’ as they have a hell of a lot of content to get through, but ‘at least they’ve got all of the important bits’ doesn’t mean a lot isn’t being left out.

25. windy says:

Yeah, I have the same opinion , this episode was a bit disappointing, also because in the middle we have the already dead characters that come back from the dead as if nothing happened, then casually talk about their death, if in Higurashi , it was tackled in a more subtle way ( most of the characters lost the memories of their previous life and the effect produced was quite awesome and enigmatic), here we have the impression the characters are just fooling around and playing some weird half detective half poltergeist game and just acting ,it just goes nowhere, no , it gives us the answer : “Beatrice actually does exist since we saw her talking casually with the characters then with the other witch (why?)who looks like the witch we’ve seen at the end of the 2nd season of Higurashi, it is her, isn’t it? And Battler went quite hysterical and showed some comical act, ranting that witches don’t exist and even if I can see one, they’re just tricks made and orchestrated by humans. I was so fond of this series so far, but they’d better review the storyline because here we trip overboard. I hope this episode has some good purpose for having the characters goofing around like this.

26. Juni says:

They took out all my favorite parts of the “tea party” scenes, so it was a bit disappointing for me too.

27. Pitviper72 says:

It’s because it isn’t “explained” until the 2nd Arc…

I do agree that there wasn’t really much of a distinction is separating the actual episode from the tea party, but honestly… it’s not that big of a deal…

The tea party is supposed to be confusing, and then, based on what you see later, you develop an understanding of what you saw.

28. Pitviper72 says:

(My last comment was in response to Kanao)

29. Veldril says:

Overboard? This is just a child play! Compare to what to come next, this mind-raping is not even 1/10th of what to come.

30. Pitviper72 says:

Correcting myself:
    You’re blaming peoples confusion on bad directing, Kanao, but the story itself is confusing at that point, so I don’t think it’s entirely to blame on how the director handled it

31. Kanao says:

“You’re blaming peoples confusion on a bad adaption, but honestly, the story itself is confusing at that point, I don’t see it being the adaption at all.”

Since it says things like ‘Episode I-V’ anyway it should have said ‘Episode I-V END’ while doing the screen for the mid-episode break. Then opened the second half with ‘Episode I Tea Party’ or something. I just reread the actual Tea Party in the game and it was awesome. Do so yourself and tell me there’s no difference.

Also, in the actual Tea Party it may have been slightly confusing but there are hints right there as to what’s going on. The fact that it’s actually a separate extra makes all the difference to the belief that it’s somehow ongoing and a couple characters came back to life.

The game made it clear in the Episode 1 end-credits that all the characters were dead. In the anime you really don’t feel like the last four characters died at all. You select an ‘extra’ story called a Tea Party and the characters are happily discussing what happened in the Episode.

The problem is in the way it’s put across. On one hand (anime) it feels like a direct continuation and is beyond confusing. On the other (VN) it feels like a side-story.

32. Kanao says:

“Since it says things like ‘Episode I-V’ anyway it should have said ‘Episode I-V END’ while doing the screen for the mid-episode break. Then opened the second half with ‘Episode I Tea Party’ or something”

Thinking about it, it may even have made a lot more sense if, instead of showing someone finding a letter in a bottle, they copied the VN and had some scrolling text explaining the end of the Episode before opening to the Tea Party.

33. Pitviper72 says:

It would surely seem clearer if they handled it like that, but I’m saying that anime viewers will come to somewhat “understand” it later, when the series’ setup begins to become more clear, so it’s not TOO big of a deal…

(And, I did read the end of Episode I and the Tea Parties shortly before the episode aired)

Anyway, I don’t think there’s much use in continuing this discussion any further…

34. windy says:

Yes, it was very confusing for me, I haven’t gone through the visual novel and can’t compare but in “Higurashi”, we had a certain continuation with some parts changing here and there, maybe this would also follow its footsteps later on, I hope so because in the first one we had it clear that the characters were doomed to die then revive all the time due to the wheel of fate, and what was more realistic in a certain way is that they didn’t remember anything but here seeing the characters being aware of their previous deaths just doesn’t fit right in, that’s what I feel and then seeing the witch calling herself Beatrice appearing out of nowhere just for teasing the main character seems also out of place and makes the fabulous mystery that we were right into lose its effect.

35. C Rosenkreutz says:

If there’s going to be a supernatural deus ex machina in a mystery series, it’s much better to bring it out in the beginning rather than wait until the last episode. I can think of a few anime that would have been better doing this.

It doesn’t look good in any medium. Arguably, the anime version is more honest as it doesn’t try to hide that it makes no sense.

Just be glad that we don’t have to wait months for the next episode at this point with the anime.

36. Camario says:

I thought it was slightly confusing at first, but even as someone who had only watched the anime so far, it seemed implicit that we aren’t supposed to take everything at face value precisely because Beatrice is trying to force Battler to do so.

At this point the show seems to be taking off into a more meta direction, which isn’t necessarily bad, but it definitely changes the rules and for that reason I wouldn’t attempt to make sense out of everything right now.

Even the leaps of logic the characters make might be a little too sudden for the viewer, so it’s best to wait and see how things develop.

Other than that, the episode was interesting and entertaining enough. I’d really like to see what can they come up with next.

37. vic says:

YOU THINK THAT BEATRICE WAS THE CULPRIT? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Everyone lost at the beggining of the history, ONLY because beatrice shows up and say se made everything you think she is the culprit? did you really see higurashi? the culprit were aliens and oyashirosama like rena thought in her arc?????

YOU HAVE TO KNOW THAT

Those who enjoy stupid puzzles that are made to be solved can leave now.

Umineko no Naku Koro ni is the worst kind of tale, created without any intention of letting all of you solve it.

I really cant’ beleive how wrong the review of this episode was, i didn’t read the visual novel but i saw higurashi and IT’S OBVIOUS that all that we see IS NOT THE REAL THING and i also think that the culprit is human, I REALLY EJOY THIS EPISODE IS WAS AMAZING AND AN ICNREDIBLE MINDRAPE, i think that the tea part was all a show to made battler surrender but i don’t know why.

btw BERKANSTEL IS RIKA???????????

38. Kanao says:

Umineko: Episode 1 – Witch’s Tea Party: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg9WDP2UkHw&feature=channel_page

This is the original scene (from the VN) where Beatrice and Bernkastel converse. The final couple of minutes of the anime episode. The quality isn’t great and the text appears smoothly in the actual game but it’s good. A better example would be the actual Tea Party extra but I can’t find it on youtube. Anyone want to record it? Or recommendations on how I could record it myself in good quality?

39. kaboom says:

It’ll make more sense once they get farther into the second arc, trust me. (although the entire thing is still a bit contradictory by nature)

Next episode won’t help you much at all, I’m afraid, but it will be very fun. LOL.

40. windy says:

I also believe that someone is behind all this, that’s obvious enough but even so that doesn’t exclude the existence of the witch Beatrice herself because Hanyu was the reincarnation of Oyashiro sama, if I’m not wrong? So, we clearly saw here two witches talking together about the “big plot” or events that will take place, didn’t we? Now someone else is undoubtfully pulling the strings behind the curtains, the question is who is it?! That’s what will be unravelled further on but this episode sounded like a play where the actors themselves overplay their characters, now the four previous episodes were pure awesomeness and this one wasn’t bad ,just under the level, it remains one of the best shows of the season anyway.

41. Rui Brennan says:

My own view on the series (which is neither canon nor valid) that can help on enjoying the anime is the following: The ‘souls’ of the dead are gathering in the purgatorio (“metaworld”, as known in the VN) and discussing about their own deaths. All the people thinks that the witch killed everyone (ey, maybe they will be revived if they think like that) but battler is stubborn and does not really think that a witch killed them all. So the witch shows herself and, from this point on, will try to “convince” the soul of battler (“meta-battler” in the VN) that she exists – so she can become a real being in the real world.

Welcome to Rokkenjima, and enjoy the battle with the witch! did she really existed in the real world and killed everyone. Is she lying so she can exist? Is up to meta-battler (and you) to decide!

42. Westlo says:

I don’t know why people are surprised psgels thought Beatrice was behind the murders.. this is the same person who thought Alto died at the end of Episode 24 of Macross Frontier.. he’s ah gullible lol.

That said Beatrice exists Uuuuuuuuuu!

43. chounokoe says:

I think all that this bickering leads to is for psgels to drop the anime at one point or the other.
    It’s one thing to point out little details within the already aired episodes, but always saying ‘But in the VN! But in the VN!’ is not going to help, neither is calling him gullible or stupid bringing him any closer to enjoying it. So let’s just refrain from using the comments as ANOTHER battleground for anime vs. visual novel wars…in the end I think this is one of the few readable blogs about Umineko (being neither unreflected praise or just plain hate).

44. Machi says:

@chounuokoe: Agreed big time. While I haven’t watched this episode, and have no knowledge of the Visual Novel, I certainly don’t think it would help in appreciation to simply boil it down to ‘But in the VN! But in the VN!’. And in this case with the comments its just boiled down to just that, with disbelief being suspended in favor of knowledge beforehand.

45. vic says:

i didn’t play the visual novel but i also think psgels made a horrible review XD i just can’t beleive how simple is his logic BEATRICE KILL EVERYONE SHE EXISTS I SEE HER AGAIN IN THE PREVIEW FOR THE NEXT EPISODE WTF like i said before, the culprit were aliens and oyashirosama like rena thought in her arc????? NO in complex animes like this we have to use our brains that’s what i love from umineko and what i love from episode 5 WE HAVE TO THINK in my opinion beatrice didn’t kill everyone but well i have to wait what happen next.

PD: psgels didn’t even mention the appearence of bernkanstel =P

46. windy says:

Who is Bernkanstel anyway?

47. chounokoe says:

@windy: Just wait and see, there is still so much more to come.
    At this point she is just an enigmatic witch, who enjoys teasing Beatrice.

48. vic says:

@windy: to know that you need to see AT LEAST the ova 4 from higurashi rei.

49. Machi says:

Just watched the episode… Odd that people say that you fail if you believe in witches but then you get that totally odd scene that comes up from no where that in a sense proves their existence, or it could just be bad writing. Namely the second tea party that obviously is outside the domain of any of the sight of the survivors. Course you could just discount the entire 2nd half as a dream but that scene still stands as an anomaly to any logic. Simply put that scene just shouldn’t be there.

50. superseaslug says:

It is obvious that witches do exist. Now if the murders on Rokkenjima were done by a witch, that’s a completely different story. And I think I understand Battler’s refusal in believing that his whole family was butchered by something as ridiculous as a witch.

51. vic says:

clap clap superseaslug i was waiting for someone intelligent here.

52. windy says:

Bernkanstel was a witch that traveled through different worlds and has been living for a thousand years, isn’t it ? I didn’t realize at first glance that “Umineko no naku koro ni” would be so linked to “Higurashi” in every single way, there’s a kinda ” Tsubasa- xxx holic” link between them.

53. Westlo says:

“neither is calling him gullible or stupid bringing him any closer to enjoying it. ”

He is gullible, just look at his comments for any romance anime he has followed. One ep Girl A has won for sure and than the next ep no it’s Girl B! Also he seems to fall for character deaths so often it’s not funny.

54. Larien says:

I don’t get this show at all… I mean, WTF is going on?

I really hate Maria – it’s so unlike me to hate a kid, but she is so obnoxious that it’s almost unbearable. And like you said in an earlier post, she’s so blatantly nuts and evil and NO ONE SEES IT.

I dunno I’m thinking of dropping this show, I don’t like it anymore.

55. Yumi says:

This is what happens when you grow up watching under the influence of Disney and Looney Tunes; the dumbing down of your thought process with simple, linear storylines.

Anyone with a brain would figure out that if the writer was Ryukishi07, the same person who concocted the masterpiece called Higurashi, would have plot twists. Have you learned nothing from his writing style? If it’s the introduction to the series (Higurashi: Onikakushi-hen, Umineko: Episode I-I~V) you need to take what’s been given to you with a grain of salt! Just because K1 saw Mion and Rena trying to inject him with a syringe doesn’t mean it really happened. Just because you saw Beatrice appear doesn’t mean witches exists.

56. Nanima says:

I just found a great article on this episode, which I think will clear some things up for anime viewers:
    (WARNING: DO NOT READ THIS UNLESS YOU WATCHED HIGURASHI AT LEAST UNTIL REI EPISODE 4)

This was NOT written by me.

57. windy says:

to vic: In Higurashi, ” Oyashiro sama or aliens like you say” didn’t appear and announce they killed everyone either, if you compare the two , you have to take that into account.

@Amagi: they better have a second season. The way it ends now I don't even have any motivation to write a full review. I'm not really optimistic over it having a second cour because if the producers were confident about its chance, they would've greenlit it already.
@SuperMario: Seems like the official radio confirmed PriPri might get a second season if the BD and/or game sales are good enough. - BD sales seem to be around 7k at the moment, but it looks like many only ordered them now, after the last episode, so it might be more.
@Aidan. Oh I did. Thank you for reminding me. I will write the review.
@Travlos, Just in case you missed it, there is a reply to you earlier in the chatbox.
Kakeguiri also ended. In the end the anime original ending was not really an ending, but just a fan pleasing excursion. The integrity of the manga story remains. It was a good adaption, and I liked it as it brought to life the parts of the manga that make it interesting to me. Also a great Opening and Ending. Good show.
And to sum it up. I think this was a great series. All its episodes were good.
I actually am ok with the PP ending. The 12 episode series is self contained. Sure there are many future potential stories to pursue, but I felt there was enough closure to make the series a good series. This is because the next step of the narrative is really so long term as being more LOGH material than PP (the story of the ascension of Princesss to the throne, and then the story of her reforms)
Alright, I found the read more tag. Now my tendency to write more than I should will be contained.
@Mario, Got to play catch-up but I am guessing it was very much a non ending?
Gosh, is that how Princess Principal end?
@KAiser: I really have a mixed feeling watching Assayas's films. I always find his works toe touch into pretentious area. Still have much more films from him I want to watch though so that opinion might change
@Kaiser: As Tears go By surprised me a little considering how straightforward it is. It's Wong's most by the book HK romance but it was one of his most commercial success. After this, the studio allowed him to do things he like and that was when he gone banana with his styles
not a fan. Can't even tell the difference between turtle and tortoise
Anonymous1420257
i like turtles
@Mario: I hadn't expected some of the dry/dark humour in sils Maria, I liked the themes/aging angst and its comments on hollywood in parts even if it needed to go a bit deeper. Stewart is a revelation in it. That X-men parody scene was fucking funny lol
@Mario: I actually kind of liked As tears go by. Mostly because of my experiences with hong-kong action flicks, much as I like John Woos films, the melodrama he tries to sell between the action never worked for me and left me just waiting around for the action to come round again. Wong was able to put genuine emotion into the hong-kong action film with this one.
@Aidan: Somehow. The problem is rather Haruki anyway and it's canonically part of her character. Kei becomes more likeable IMO and the events get much more complicated and/or serious plus there are a bunch of characters getting added to the protag team which makes the whole thing more dynamic. The best comes when some other character joins around the middle though.
Personally, I can digest the emotionless dialogue in the first place since I watch the series with the mindset that the main characters are innately "broken" in some ways.
@Aidan Hmm...one might consider the emotion level increases in main characters' dialogues for Sakurada Reset as baby steps depending on how dramatic one expects a character to act in other animes. (The emotions increase do exist though) There are certainly emotional scenes and characters do develop in ways where one can't just say they're 100% robots.
@Travlos, If you so wish then you can write a review for Bahamut virgin soul. Just let me know if you are up for it. If so I recommend writing it up on google docs, then when you have it done I can give your account contributer status and you can paste it into a post for us to look over and publish on the site. For screenshots our standard size is H240 X W138.
Did they ever fix that emotionless dialgoue issue they had going on?
You are not alone. The second half of Sakurada Reset made me so glad that I stuck with the series.
Oh and I totally forogt Reset ended now too. Not sure if I am the only fan of that but the whole second half was one of the better things I've seen this year.
Okay now thinking three others came into my mind, but that's still not much. A lot of series started interesting and turned out mediocre or cheap after a while.
Considering that I love Made in Abyss, PrinPrin, Fate/Apo (so far) and 18if too guess this season was better than I've expected. 2016 was kind of a let down imo, animewise. Off the top of my head I only remember Rakugo, Fune wo Amu and Bokudake I think.
I didn't expect to like Virgin Soul as much as I do. Especially the last ~5 episodes got me. The weird thing is that I was disappointed by S1 actually.
@Travlos: I don't mind if you do a guess review on Virgin Soul, but let's me check with other admins first.

On Virgin Soul, I'm not sure if I like the bew development. It suddenly does a 180 degree turn on King Charriot, which I don't feel rewarding.
Kakegurui will have an anime original ending. It might be better than the ongoing manga. We shall see. An enjoyable foray.

Virgin Soul is going for a nice explosive ending. If no one writes a review, I would be willing to write one.
*kind of
While its very much in the shadow of the first and the protaganist started out kind annoying, I kind of got caught up in the spectacle and sentimentality of gunbuster 2.
Urasawa is preparing a new manga
yes the episode where Julian watched the documentary was fun. The Caligula like character comes from one of the lesser episodes of the series, when Kircheis beats up some rebelling third rate noble in the Empire.
Goddammit, fail, it just changed the colour of the login name...
I declare in the red truth that the next anime I shall watch is Diebuster.
From what little I saw, I remember a Caligula like character in one episode.
I remember there's an episode where Julian just goes on Space Netflix and just watches a documentary. I actually liked that lol
yup, a LOGH that run like the Altair anime would be bad. It needs to show the sweep of history
@Anon, I actually liked that aspect. It made the history of the world feel real.
It's compressible, as there are many episodes of buildup, but that's where so many of the interesting details and depth of planning become evident. Some of those episodes read like a history textbook though, so we'll see how the new adaptation handles them,
*pleasantly
Tytania was ok.
On the Amakusa Shiro reference in the fate review, I've seen a film about him from the 50s , theres also an old josei manga where the protagonist ends up becoming essentially regarded as him.
Hi Kaiser. Supposedly this is a re-imagining of the original story. Thus independent of the OVAs (old serieis). What exactly re-imagining means is something I and you do not know. We shall see. But it does mean that you do not need to watch the old series to enjoy this one. The OVA was definetly more expansive than the novels. So my guess is they will stick to the novels.
There's another anime, called Tytania based on his novels but I haven't seen that series.
As in condensable in the way nothing much is lost? I assume there are fillers in the original?
I'm indifferent to the aesthetics of the new version. What I'm hoping for is that it will be accessible to newcomers and that I'll be able to jump on to the old series where the new one leaves off. I've seen very little of the original and it was a long time ago, is there any way the story is condensable?
The fact that they stayed away from the disgusting new manga is great. I am not too keen on the CGI ships, but they also did not rankle. It looks like it will honor the spirit of the old series, and I cannot ask for more. I am a massive LOGH fan. And the new video out gives me hope of revisiting one of the greatest sci-fi/historical settings out there. I am happy.
I hope they are using the old anime as a base and not the new Manga adaption. As that Manga adaption is seriously lacking.
@Anon, I like that they blinged up the space battles which is good because those things could get tiresome. But I really hate the design of Yang Wenli. They made him look so much younger and bishi. I don't think i could take this guy seriously if he started one of Wenli's signature hypothesis.
Thoughts on that new LOGH PV? My expectations were low, so I'm presently surprised. Obviously they made everybody pretty boys, and Mamoro Miyano is voicing Reinhard I believe. But art and animation actually looks pretty decent overall. It's a PV, and LOGH's best quality is it's story and characters, so we'll have to see if they remain faithful or not. But it's nice to see it get a visual overhaul.
By the way this site has the first chapters but check the other versions to find them.
@Mario, Indeed. It's also a pity that over half the couples in the manga were not featured. We only got a small taste of Patricia.
Or maybe I'll try to read the manga. The last time I checked it online, the site doesn't have its first few chapters
@Aidan: man, Tsurezure Children sure is sweet. Really sad to see it ends
So that's the end of Tsurezure Children.
....I'm gonna need a second season. Now.
....NOW GODDAMNIT! NOW!
As I said I understand the criticisms to RE:Creator, but ultimately I enjoyed most of the show. It could had been better, and it is a missed chance. But I have seen worse.
I gave up halfway through, there weren't even enough action scenes and those that were didn't justify waiting around for.
Could have at least delivered on the action but that was rendered pointless due to the majority of the cast turning good and Altair being a complete cheat character.
It would have been really fun to see characters discuss their stories with their creators or indulge in what our world has to offer but they really glossed over that part.
It really should have gone deeper into the whole meta aspect introducing anime characters to the real world. Like they did with Mamika's powers being ridiculously destructive when outside a kid friendly setting.
@Puran, I at least like the message of the final episode. But as for the show itself it was just missed potential on a lot of levels. I wanted Anime Genre battle royale and instead got a secondhand Shirobako with a crap shounen anime attached.
I have been forgiving of Anno as I've gotten older.
I also just re-watched gunbuster, I'd previously dismissed the ova after a few episodes when I was a teenager, I'd found it too slow, didn't have that issue with the 90 minute version I just finished. I've never see the sequels.
Ill have to finish Creators... at some point
I've been dipping back into the Lupin franchise, Gold of babylon was particularly screwball, kind of ridiculous comedy caper/adventure thing you just have to run with....turns out it was directed by a live action filmaker I especially like who made bizzare noir films in the 60s.
Puran
So that explains why Meteora had so much air time in Re:Creators. It's her story....

I hated the ending and I disliked the anime overall.
@Mario: It was a genuine surprise to see that Assayas decided to make a film framed around hentai =P
@Mario: I loved how incoherent demonlover was.
@Mario: The criticisms I'll give wind river, is a slight inconsistent performance from Renner and that very awkwardly inserted flashback scene.
@Kaiser: on Wind River, I agree it's a well-executed case of the week drama, although there are some plot pregressions that I don't get (how did they find out about the man's corspe again?). About Demonlover, man, the film gives me a chill down my spine. Heartless. And a bit misogynist.
@Kaiser: as much as I loved Wong (yeah I too prefer him over Malick), sometimes I do think Western cinema give him too much praise that sadly overshadow other Asian directors.
@Mario: Wong is important to me as a hong-kong filmaker, he offers something entirely different from the whole Woo/Lam Hong komg movies.
@Mario: On a more positive note Maggie Cheung did mention that she felt her early work with Wong was when she first truly became a proper actress.
@Mario: ....I had no idea he had such a sad background.
*investigation drama
@Kaiser: that film also marked/ signified a rather sad period of Hongkong showbiz. Leslie Cheung badically lived the live of the protagonist and commited suicide in 1997. His girlfriend on screen, during the filming, was kidnaped, raped and taken topless picture. The damnest thing is that everyone knowed the culprit but did nothing, and in the press it was just deemed as "kipnapped and assaulted"
@Mario: Wind river was a big surprise for me, just goes to show that with the right execution an ordinary police drama movie can be elevated higher.
@Mario: Thats the interesting thing, tracking a directors career.
Just binge watched the new dominion tank police ovas , admittedly these are kind of reptitive and extremely silly but its hard to hate on something so shamelessly fun that made me feel like a child again.
@Kaiser: you said it there. DoBW is rather raw and unpolished but that's one of the reason why I am drawn to it more compare to his other works.
In all honesty, it would be nice to finally see a continuation after fusion as all games after that have just been adding chapters in-between.
Finally I wonder, if Metroid Prime 4 will definitely branch out of the main Metroid's continuity. It's curious how an interquel subseries is still going to add things in between the first and the second entries in the main franchise.
AidanAK47 - I think is nice we can see both takes. Especially since neither one despite a few qualms are still very solid entries for this franchise. I just hope Metroid moves forward, as IMO this is the only game that really needed a facelift do to the heavy limitations of the gameboy. And I hope the secret gallery at the end is teasing how the producer plans to move the plot forward.
I thought it might be like that but it's good to know they are at least on a close level. I didn't really want Samus Returns to replace AM2R as the "Definitive" version of Metroid 2. Mostly because a lot of love was put into AM2R andit came at a point when it felt Nintendo didn't give a crap about Metroid.
Like Zero Mission there's something added to Samus Returns but I'll just leave it at that.
I think both have strong points. Samus Returns have better boss battles, gameplay mechanics and more intense action pieces. AM2R IMO has more atmosphere, takes advantage of elements Nintendo don't even try like the Federation subplot, and the ending portion narratively has more heart in AM2R, while in Samus Returns it feels mostly like "the final level".
I also did got lost a couple of times in Samus Returns and aside from the big water section in AM2R, the latter is more linear game.
I think the controls in Samus Returns bring more to the table though. The 360 aiming makes for better ways to shoot enemies and some of the bosses take advantage of that. If it weren't for the 3DS giving hand cramps because you're holding L and R at several points it'll be completely the most ideal way to play.
AidanAK47 - AM2R is very good, I think it has the advantage that because it uses sprites IMO backgrounds and enemies are more vibrant and easier to appreciate. The Federation soldiers are better executed in AM2R and that secret section with the ship is very eery.
@Vonter, How does it stack up to AM2R? I bought it and am still waiting on it to be delivered but I have the feeling that AM2R would be the better game when comparing.
I took me 12 hours to 100% and I've heard the best ending is beating it in less than 4 hours. I think unlike Zero Mission item percentage don't matter, it's mainly to unlock an art gallery.
My main criticism is this being a 3DS game. Small enemies can be hard to see or appreciate. And I think the 3DS wasn't made for heavy action packed games like this or Smash Bros. I got the rubber from the circle pad come off in two occasions. Also unless there was something big in the background, several areas felt lacking in detail. Still Samus and the bosses look good.
In terms of difficulty, the game has the enemies packing more damage than in other 2D Metroids. Is difficult in the sense than you can't tank damage as in other iterations, you have to be aware of enemy behavior and bosses mainly get easier do to familiarizing with their patterns, since I did die a lot each time I faced a new boss. And got used to kill them faster as I went along.
Ok, so I beat Samus Returns. It's quite good. Unlike Fusion that had dialogue at midst the gameplay. Samus Returns only has a prologue of exposition and any cutscenes mainly accentuate the reactions of Samus confronting a new enemy. The level design is dense, despite having isolated areas like in Fusion and the original Samus Returns, each area is very mazelike.
@Mario: =< Awww I kind of like demonlover actually despite all its flaws, it had great sound design and had this cold, clinical, un-nerving mood to it.
@Mario: Days of being wild does feel a bit un-realized/un-polished/rough compared to his other work definitely but its probably the rawest I've seen from him and that has its appeal.
@Mario: Haven't seen farewell my concubine come to think of it. Regarding the scifi element I felt I embraced it more further into the film when it started to intermingle more.
While I am more forgiving toward Malick's recent films than most, that decline in quality means I have to pick Wong.
by the way in RE:Creators we probably will be getting a future series focusing on the hunt for Magane :p Meteora probably playing the role of detective. I also bet her novel will be wordy and heavy in exposition :p
i.e his end game might had been a cross-species revolution against him anyway. We will see
In Bahamut Chris proves to not be totally evil, but he is totally crazy. That said I am seeing one of my hunches getting supported, the hunch was that his cruelty towards daemons was with the purpose of bringing them down enough that they would be willing to work with humans as euals (As they are in Jean's army) and thus via that create a more unified world. I
RE: Creators has come to its end. I know the problems everyone has with it, and while it failed to raise to the level of exceptional show, I loved it. As I said, it had been years since a show kept me so excited episode after episode. They blew it at some point, but ultimately for me this is an en-joyful show, and one I would happily binge watch in the future again.
@Kaiser: question for you though, between these two directors, which one do you prefer: Wong Kar-Wai or Terrance Malick?
@Kaiser: if you enjoyed both 2046 and In the Mood for Love, by all mean check out Days of Being Wild. The trio forms a loose trilogy and Days of Being Wild was the first film that Wong began his unique unconventional style. It's one of my personal favorite of Wong and it's a chance for you to watch the late Leslie Cheung acted (you might watch him already in Farewell My Concubine)
@Kaiser: 2046 is indeed a passionate film, and one of his best looking film. He tried something different in 2046 too, experimented with scifi (one of the best part in the film for me)
@Kaiser: it's stritcly Wong Kar Wai's romance we're talking about, since I don't find the rest of Chinese take on romance that interesting. Romance or melodrama is one of his main theme throughout his career
@Mario: It was slightly overly long however.
I've also seen chungking express, in the mood for love and fallen angels. I think this Chinese take on romance is really clicking with me.
@Mario: I also thought it was a very passionette film and I love how Kar-wong-wai uses the music in it. I also think its one of his best looking films.
@Mario: I had a look at that Chinese film 2046, very effectively melancholic take on fleeting relationships while also successfully being quite sensual while staying classy and without ever showing too much. Tony Leung and Maggie Cheung are two beautiful people =P
for those who still want to catch up with 18if, episode 11 has a huge recap, while wrapping up the show with a new overarching plot. Hopefully they don't pull another Matrix here
SuperWooper
It's shounen-y for sure. The competitions have been my least favorite parts of the show so far. If you're still watching, you might appreciate it more once the Tenpei Cup is over.
Damn Ballroom looks so good. But I really can't enjoy it despite that I want to. It has too many of these typical shounen moments and plot points I can't stand.
Omae wa mou shindeiru
Mononoke is actually what made me find Ayakashi. Also a good show.
Regarding Ayakashi, I only watched the Mononoke segment
"It was a long, long trip, and we're coming finally to the end of the journey. Thank you, Manoyama and Chupacabra. And thank you, 5 EURO" - Sandal-san.
Ayakashi was great for me Kaiser. I enjoyed my time with it
Vonter212
@AidanAK47 - The hard aspect has been commented in several reviews with bosses being able to easily kill you. (Although in my experience it might be just getting a pattern). In terms of length most 2D games can be beaten under 3 hours. This one seems to clock at at least 6 to 15 if you want to collect everything. Then again, we'll see in subsequent playthroughs.
`@Vonter. It's out now but I don't remember seeing anyone claim it's the longest hardest entry 2D wise.
Going to watch new dominion tank police next and read violence action and Oddman 11.
It took me years to get round to it, but I finally watched Ayakashi and as expected like most anthologies, again its mixed, the first is a solid ghost story that improves after a weak start, but that third one with the cat spirit was great, really liked how experimental that looked.
Soo a new Metroid comes out this week. It is said, it's the longest, hardest entry in regards to the 2D iterations. Still not as great as Super, and depending on your fanaticism it might or not be as good as Zero Mission.
But they didn't pull that scene off too well. It's just... unmemorable. In fact the whole show is very unremarkable. Now only 1 episode left I might as well finish it but I won't give it a full review
Koi to Uso has been disappointing so far. Episode 10 featured the sequence that i was looking forward the most in the manga: the former classmate tells the one sided crush of the main girl from her POV. For a romance that contrived and manipulated like this one, hearing this from the third person's perspective prove to be more powerful
@HelghastKillzone - Good luck with that. I almost had my car's engine damaged since it has been raining heavily where I live. Had to ask for help the next day to pull it out of mud. Still not as bad as the other three cars that did get stuck in the water.
HelghastKillzone
Dealing with work and the total loss of my car really sucks at the moment so I'm quite tied up for this week.
I do agree to a point, but to be frank all the episodes of Princess Principal to date have been so solid I have a hard time deciding. Episode 5 though was still the best from a holistic point (action, direction, music etc) was the one introducing Chise
Agree. Dorothy has the biggest heart out of all the spy girls. Also "help" that her episodes are all melodramatic.
This episode of PrinPrin showed again that Dorothy is the best character by far. Not just herself but her episodes as well are better written than the rest if you ask me.
It just hit me. The characters in Princess Principal may be very well working for IngSoc :p
@Kaiser, in the seven chapters it's only really two of them that contain dark shocking content. Chapter three being the biggest one in that regard.
@Aidan: I read a comment where someone said subahibi shocked them more than saya no uta. While I haven't played it yet, I have seen some of a letsplay...it lleft me thinking....how many hours until this actually gets good/truly unhinged .
After Reading SubaHibi, Made in Abyss's dark turn didn't shock me too much. Maybe I just got desensitised. I will have a review of SubaHibi hopefully up in a week though to clarify my feelings on it after just finishing it, It was interesting but disappointing.
well, well. Both Made in the Abyss and Virgin Soul do not hold back. Grim! RE:Creators is warping up. Comparing with these other shows I can fully appreciate the problems people have with it. But still I am glad I am sticking to the end. Altair's voice actor by the way did great.
@Helghast, And Kings Field was the Demon Souls before Demon Souls came out.
having binge watched several of this season's shows I would say Princess Principal is the most rounded. Made in Abyss is good. Kakegurui and The Reflection as SuperMario said will depend on your tastes. There is also Shouko no Altair. You will like it if you liked Tanya Saga of Evil, or Legend of Galactic Heroes, or Arslan Senki or manga like Vinland Saga, Gunka no Baltzar, and especially Historie
Jesus...me watching this weeks Made in Abyss https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ogzsWhZcmM
HelghastKillzone
So... Demon Souls was the Dark Souls before Dark Souls came out.
@anon1385426: the safest bets aside from Made in Abyss are Welcome to the Ballroom and Princess Principal. Kakegurui and the Refection are for more acqurired taste
Aside from Made in Abyss, what's the best anime this season?
@KT, the pacing and the framerate early on are my two biggest issues. Later on the story starts to get abit more engaging, and they start doin things I didnt expect, but the pacing is still there. Some akward pauses.
Look, Berserk and Dark Souls are both amazing. But I only have 3 Dark Souls games, and 38 Berserk volumes. Im clearly biased
I sat down and watched the first 4 episodes of The Reflection. It is an interesting attempt, and I can see the people making it having fun doing so. But I did notice a pacing issue. For some reason the episodes felt like they dragged a bit too long.
Dark Souls is the Berserk of Video Games.
Dark Souls really went all Berserk if you ask me
I am not one for putting down law but can we never ever compare anything to Dark Souls ever again? Cause it's actually become really tiresome how everything is the dark souls of something.
No other sentence has made me want to watch Made in Abyss more

Kakegurui – 12[Gambling Woman]

It’s been awhile since I seen an anime original ending and honestly I was rather dreading it when I started this episode. Anime original endings don’t have a good track record as of course attempting to tack on an abrupt conclusion to an ongoing story is not going to turn out swimmingly. Even if I […]

Made in Abyss – 12[The True Nature of the Curse]

Today’s topic is the curse of the abyss alongside much needed revenge against the creature that put Riko in a bad spot. We get a rare glimpse of the topside village where one of the orphan kids we saw previously is deathly sick on his birthday. This caught me off guard as I believe I […]

Katsugeki Touken Ranbu – 13 [Katsugeki]

Welcome to the final week of Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu, where the plot is rushed and the art is at its best. Lets jump in. Ranbu opens this week with the title card, skipping the OP. Looks like they want all the time they can get. Picking up where they left off, Ranbu has Horikawa go and […]

Princess Principal – 12 [Case 24 Fall of the Wall]

Is that seriously how they end Princess Principal? Nothing is resolved at all except Ange breaks down the wall around her heart to welcome her team to the Casablanca’s paradise. Everything screams “second season” and with the sales aren’t that impressive from what I gathered, will they ever get one? It comes hard for me […]

18if – 12 [The Witch Wars]

Let me just say, I’m all in favor for 18if having a proper closure, but I’m wholly disappointed with what happening right now. This episode is just all over the place. For instance, I’m just as glad as the next person to see all the Witches gathering back in real life to help Haruto, but […]

Classroom of the Elite – 11 [What People Commonly call Fate is Mostly their Own Stupidity]

So suddenly, without mentioned at any point before, Horikita can suddenly kicks ass? Or that Horikita has been sick ALL THIS TIME? Or that Horikita still can kick some ass while being sick all this time? Since when the Class-D boys shrink into only Ayanokouji, Hirata and the 3 idiots? On that note, where is […]

Ballroom e Youkoso – 11 [Evaluation]

And so the Tenpei Cup comes to a close at last. It took five episodes to get from the first round to the awards ceremony, and not all parts of the competition were created equal, but I’m happy that my girl Mako managed to claim the Ballroom Queen award. After she received the trophy, there […]

Kakegurui – 11[The woman who bets her life]

So…what am i supposed to say here? Yumeko wins, the treasurer loses and now the show looks to be teasing a matchup between the Student council President and Yumeko. I would say it’s a good thing this shows end looms near as my interest in it has just about petered out. I love seeing smug […]

Made in Abyss – 11[Nanachi]

It’s been an issue I have wanted to bring up before but the previous episode recaps of this series are rather long. Today’s was the biggest offender as the first three and a half minutes was just footage from the previous episode. While these kinds of recaps are handy for those watching weekly to catch […]

Sakura Quest (Summer 2017) Review – 79/100

Conceived as a third installment in a loose P.A Works trilogy about young adult girls in working environment, Sakura Quest both knows its target audience well, and has some big shoes to fill. After all, many have considered Shirobako an install classic for good reasons. As it turns out, Sakura Quest is more on the […]

Castlevania Season 1 Review – 70/100

Upon hearing that Castlevania would be getting an animated TV series my first reaction was that of unpleasant surprise. Part of the reason was because of the video games infamous history with adapting their stories to other mediums but my main reason was that being familiar with the Castlevania games, I knew the story was […]

Tsuki ga Kirei (Spring 2017) Review – 88/100

It’s hard for me not to go overboard on Tsuki ga Kirei: out of all the show I’ve followed this season, I resonated the most to this one; but even when I’m judging this show objectively, Tsuki ga Kirei is one of the most perfect one, in a way that it achieved exactly what it […]

Seikaisuru Kado Review 51/100

Seikaisuru Kado was a title which caught my attention for a number of reasons. For one it’s visuals showed not a single teenager in sight and a cast mainly consisting of working adults. Another is that it deals with a premise not often tackled in anime, Philosophical Science Fiction. The story features an alien being […]

ID-0 (Spring 2017) Review – 81/100

Here comes one of the most under-appreciated anime of this Spring season. ID-0 has many hassles that keeps viewers away from watching it: Netflix exclusive, full CG animation and a plot that just plain weird and a bit incomprehensive at first view. I originally took it as nothing more than fun spooky little-seen show until […]

Grimoire of Zero (Spring 2017) Review – 77/100

I remember, back in our first impression of this series, Aidan remarked that Grimoire of Zero isn’t your typical LN-adaptations, but he didn’t know what to make of it. To be honest, after watching an entire cour, I’m still unsure what to make of it myself. This show has some serious flaws, yet despite all […]

Uchoten Kazoku Review – 94/100

(Note: Since psgels didn’t give his final review to the first season, this review is for the entirety of Eccentric Family. If I had to grade the second season alone, it’s 90/100). Doesn’t matter how you look at it, the Eccentric Family is a unique show, in a way it feels and tastes like no […]

Little Witch Academia TV Review – 80/100

The Little Witch Academia series has been something that’s a long time coming. Ever since Studio Trigger made the original Anime OVA back in 2013 I have been hotly anticipating the time when it would be fleshed out into it’s own anime series. I love both the original OVA and the enchanted Parade so this […]

Window Horses (2016) Movie Review – 87/100