Posted by psgels on 28 August 2009 with categories: Tokyo Magnitude 8.0

The past two episodes of this series made me think a lot about the nature of criticism. Especially after the previous episode, which I slammed down for having Yuki supposedly collapse for cheap drama, even though it’s not that weird for people to get sick in these situations. I also remember people who weren’t happy with that episode because it included robots. But yeah, then you have things as this: is it still unrealistic and unbelievable when it’s being used in real life?

I think that a lot of people (including myself; I’ve caught myself doing this plenty of times), whenever they are turned off they start looking for reasons why. These seeming logic flaws are then very easy targets for these criticisms. Ignoring the obvious cases in which a plot twist becomes so stupid or unbelievable that it destroys the entire suspension of disbelief, these things often aren’t the real reasons for these declines in quality, and in the case of very realistic shows as Tokyo Magnitude, you can see people who start blaming things that turn out to be perfectly normal.

In the end, the only thing that I can really criticize this series for is that I don’t like the OP. I’m one of those people who is too lazy to skip through OPs (aside from perhaps marathons), but at the same time I’ve never been a big fan of neither j-pop or j-rock, and Abington Boy’s School is no exception to this rule, and the song they used for this series’ OP is getting more and more on my nerves.

I think the thing with this series is that episodes 2-5 were utterly amazing, and the past episodes, instead of building up to a great climax at the end, instead went to go for a much quieter aftermath. It’s not exactly the same as Eden of the East, where it became clear along the way that the creators just took too much on their plate and badly paced the series after its initial episodes. With Tokyo Magnitude, I think it’s obvious that the past few episodes lacked the same emotional impact of the first five episodes. The question however is: does it need to be?

I’m getting more and more convinced that this show indeed doesn’t really need to be. I’ve become so used to anime, which nearly all have the general pattern of a build-up that gets increasingly full of tension, but here we have an entire subversion of this trope. During an earthquake, the biggest emotional shock comes right after it happens, and after that the tension, while it’s still there, fades as more and more people regain their sensibilities. The more I think about it, the more realistic it becomes.

Anyway, about this episode, aside from the total chaos in the hospital it was a very quiet one. Yuki turns out to be fine for now, while Mirai has visibly grown up while Mari becomes more and more worried as to what happened to her children. It’s a role reversal here: the reason Mirai managed to grow wasn’t just because she had to look after Yuki, but also because Mari, who started out as a mother figure, started to show more and more of her weaknesses. And that was the strength of episode six: its purpose wasn’t to insert some random illness, but instead show that Mari instead was just a human being, and at that point Mirai realized that her whining wasn’t going to help at all to solve the situation, especially since you can really see that she wants Mari to be reunited with her daughter.

As for the reason why Mari refused to take the scooter in episode: she might actually be running away. Take a look at this episode: instead of walking fast, like what I would do when I was worried about someone, she often walks way behind Mirai and Yuki. It’s as if she’s scared to find out that her daughter died.
Rating: ** (Excellent)
Edit: I rewatched this episode, based on your comments, and you’re right: they’ve given this episode a completely different meaning, and what I believed was a rather quiet episode has now become incredibly sad instead. I really have to give thumbs up for the creators for having the guts to go this far.
Rating: *** (Awesome)

1. anonymous says:

I think it was implied that Yuuki died. There are lots of hints that Mirai is just in denial.
    Watch closely Mari when Mirai speaks about him, or to him. She apologises about something, and does not speak or even look at Yuuki even once. Bag carrying is also good hint.

2. tealovertoma says:

I agree completely with anonymous. I’m 99% sure Yuuki’s dead. There’s a lot of hints and the general atmosphere has completely changed.

This episode deserves 3 stars as far as I’m concerned. For a moment I thought they were going to pull of “Yuuki’s dead oh no wait he isn’t, everything’s fine” twice, but it turns out he really did die. Easily the best choice IMO. Very touching, very nice.

3. tealovertoma says:

Just wanted to add something to that: the reason Mari walks so far behind “them” is because she’s giving Mirai some space to come to terms with things. She left a message for their parents that says Yuuki died. And when she’s trying to bring up the subject of Yuuki, Mirai quickly interrupts because she’s in denial.

I wonder when they’ll make Mirai realise it? Maybe Yuuki will suddenly be gone and Mirai tries to find him until Mari finally makes her realise it again? Or maybe they won’t reveal it until they see her parents and the parents go “I’m so sorry about Yuuki, Mirai”?

4. juu says:

when Yuki seemed alive after the death scene, I thought, that it’s an average episode, such a great death scene totally wasted… but then when I realized that he is more likely really dead, I felt very miserable…

I thing maybe Mari’s daugher will play a role in Mirai realizing the truth? Because surely Mirai would want to introduce him to her..?

5. terrorist says:

wow I have not thought in that way. If that’s the case, as toma said, creators have went with the best choice ^^ respectable.

6. Sywen says:

I also think Yuki is dead. because i don’t think the creators would spend half an episode on ‘just’ a dream to create some artificial drama and suspens. I give them more credit after what i saw so far in this show.

7. reverse says:

the probability that yuki already dead is high.
    at the end went the camera start panning out yuki is nowhere in sight.

8. wakka9ca says:

You said you don’t like the OP. But it’s the opposite for me… The lyrics of abingdon boys school’s song perfectly fits this series and describes the victims’ emotion after a disaster.

Here is the translation:

I am drawn into
    The smell of moist asphalt and rain
    Always scared and with clenched knees
    I watch the low clouds

The days when you were kind to me are almost gone
    When this crooked world
    Corrects itself
    I shall be by your side

Should my wish come true
    I’ll give you my all
    The only thing i want is your warmth
    Never let go of my hand

9. Forwho says:

I also have a creepy feeling that Yuuki indeed died. Seeing what other people have said about it makes a lot more sense to me. :(

10. AlexS says:

God, you people are paranoid. Yuuki is alive and kicking. Mirai is getting new information from her brother and Mari (why did they call both girls by almost the same name is beyond me), which would be uncommon if she was dreaming or whatever. And Mari would be quite spooked if Mirai spoke of her dead brother as if she was alive.

I also thought it was a bit cheap to pull the same trick twice, but it works, and it’s a nice and realistic way of making the audience feel the anguish of incertitude that people feel during catastrophes or accidents (will the patient survive or not?).

As for Mari, I agree that as she approaches her own residential area she is losing her calm, because confrontation to reality is more imminent. I was expecting that, but not via the news report, rather by seeing the destruction of the neighborhood. I’m moderately pessimistic about her case, since that would add quite some drama before finishing the anime with the siblings/parents reunion.

This episode was quite good, because the emotions rang true, even if it was a calm episode. What annoyed me in the last one was not that robots themselves are unrealistic, but that the boy’s story was so clumsy. The script writers were in better shape for this episode, although I think they should not have pulled the “Yuuki’s dead” trick twice.

11. foamer says:

Yeah all the clues were there, so sad T_T

12. anon says:

ten bucks says hes dead.

13. Frost says:

Ill be damned, at first I thought that maybe the real dream sequence was the one after Mirai wakes up, but then started to believe Yuuki is alive and was completely disappointed

But after reading the comments here it makes perfect sense… Mari doesnt talk to Yuuki a single time after that, and when she goes back to the place they were sleeping at, she just says “Mirai?”.. Why not “Mirai? Yuuki?” Because she knows Yuuki is indeed dead

Wow, what an awesome way of making a main character die, they even fooled me

+10 points for this show, I didnt even think they would actually kill off a main character

14. kode-dekka says:

Ok Yuuki is most definitely dead, there are all the above points but there is also another one you all missed that is unlike every other episode, he never says a word to Mari.

15. Nick says:

“We’re finished with all the legal work. Here are your documents”. Could it be Yuuki’s death certificate?

16. Frost says:

And heres another one someone pointed out on MAL, in the last shot where you see Mirai and other people walking around, theres no Yuuki… How is that possible? He was right in front of them ^^

That shot confirms 100% that he is dead and we saw the 2nd half of the episode through Mirai point of view only, which means she snapped and is hallucinating

17. daRAT says:

Yuuki is dead, notice after Mirai gets Yuuki from the soccer game Mari never talks to him or mentioned his name?

Also, Mari takes care of the “legal” paperwork at the hospital? Maybe just basic paperwork but I think it was a death certificate.

Mari’s initial assessment of Yuuki’s vital signs (really had me freaked here, being an ex-medic and all).

To many clues point to his death :(

18. Nick says:

I would be seriously pissed if Yuuki wasn’t dead. I mean all that emotional potential wasted??

19. AlexS says:

Oh well, you made me watch again the wake up scene, and you are indeed right, everything is compatible with the idea that Yuuki has become an imaginary friend.

Now I regret having watched the commentaries, it’s a bit like guessing too early things in “6th sense”, it spoils a bit the fun.

In any case, this of course changes the interpretation of Mari’s behavior, and it’s a nice shot from the part of the scriptwriters, I was completely fooled.

Suddenly I’m a lot more interested in this series ending!

20. meow says:

Hm…i haven’t seen 8 yet but I get the feeling I should skip this episode and wait for 9 to come out to see if there’s more information. If your impressions are right, this sounds like a mindf*ck episode, made doubly tragic by Yuuki’s passing and Mirai losing her grip on reality. Disturbing stuff. -.-; Well, it seems also possible that Yuuki might not be dead exactly but be in some kind of coma or other incapacitating condition that would put Mirai into such denial. I also think it’s odd that Mari and Mirai would leave the hospital so quickly if Yuuki were really dead. They might be in a hurry to find Yuuki’s parents and bring them to Yuuki quickly. The mention of documents also brings to mind the possibility that they have a new quest to find some expertise or materials Yuuki needs that aren’t available at the hospital because of the earthquake. Perhaps they have details of Yuuki’s condition that Mari must now deliver to some isolated specialist somewhere. Hm..I think I’m in denial now haha. Yep..i should wait for 9 or 10 for more info. XD I’m such a wimp…-.-

21. tealovertoma says:

Not completely impossible, but if you see the episode you’ll probably agree that it’s more likely he’s dead, because there’s a scene where Yuuki dies and it doesn’t feel like a dream scene or potential outcome. Also, they’re not hurrying when they’re leaving and Mari seems pretty damn shocked.

22. Theowne says:

There are many interpretations, but only one is consistent with what happens at the end

#1 – Mari was not interacting with Yuuki at the end (if he was fine, why didn’t she respond to him in any way?)

#2 – They are leaving the hospital (if the bad news was he was in a coma or something, they would remain there)

#3 – They had a scene where Mirai wakes up from a dream twice (No self respecting director would pull the “he died oh wait he didn’t” stunt twice)

And now that this is the case, I don’t know what to think of this series. This is not what I expected at all, and feels like just a “let’s throw in a plot twist” moment.

23. Theowne says:

Here are the final episode titles
    9 今日、さよなら – “Today, goodbye”
    10 おねえちゃん、あのね – “Sis, you know..” (How Yuuki would address Mirai)
    11 – 悠貴へ… – “To Yuuki”

Unfortunately I think this seals Yuuki’s death. Clearly the final episode is centered to some extent around Yuuki, and he may be the largest emotional presence. Which makes complete sense with the idea of the family reuniting and bidding farewell to Yuuki.

*sigh*

24. Nick says:

I was about to drop this series after the whole robot incident last episode. After the first Death dream i was like ” No way they’re gonna the kid”.
    But then after the second death scene, I realised. Damn. Huge points for the guts to kill off the only source of optimism in this show. Will download the next asap!!

25. evolstar says:

Oh my God, at first I was confused. That second death scene felt so real and when they showed Yuuki after she woke up, I was confused. I didn’t think of Mirai hallucinating him.

Another piece of evidence that Yuuki is dead is when Mari has a breakdown at the end and apologises twice to Mirai. She is clearly apologising and crying because of Yuuki’s death. Also, just look at Mari’s face after Mirai says that he looks fine and how she’ll look after him. They spent a lot of time on Mari after Mirai ran off after “yuuki”. She had such a sad expression as she looked down at her boots; the emotion there was so powerful. Awesome episode.

26. cc says:

Oh snap. Now that I read all the comments, I watched the show again and I’m sobbing now. Sniff.

27. Polaryzed says:

Don’t forget the other big clue that Yuuki is dead. All along in the episode the kept showing people that were complaining about not being looked at by the hospital staff. If Yuuki’s condition were so easy to fix that all he needed was some IV fluids, then I doubt that they’d be ready to leave already. There were MANY other people waiting to be seen with real injuries and a simple case of dehydration would have been put on hold for more critical care patients. Basically they’d still be waiting to be looked at. Otherwise the director wouldn’t have had at least 2-3 scenes with complaining patients. The only plausible reason is because Yuuki is in fact dead and they have no reason to stay any longer.

For the record I was completely fooled as well. I let my optimism get the better of me and went along with the whole ‘never-kill-main-characters-or-kids’ concept. Now that all these clues point to him being dead, it just makes this episode absolutely amazing. A++

28. Echo says:

I was fooled as well, and after the ep I felt that it was a pretty uneventful episode, but I was wondering why Mirai looked so terribly depressed……then I read these comments. It makes the episode so much more powerful….though I’m kinda sad that I didn’t let the show hit me hard with the realization instead.

29. m says:

The way that Mirai’s perspective changes in the previous episode culminating in a resolution to be a better daughter and to engage Yuuki’s plans, and then the overcompensation toward Yuuki after she awakens from her ‘dream,’ and finally the firm insistence that she would look after her brother when Mari begins to talk about him fit a pattern. The epiphany that Mirai had in the previous episode creates closure between the siblings and establishes a common dream that will be tragically realized in the end of the show by the surviving family members in Yuuki’s memory. The exaggerated mothering after Mirai awakens reflects her guilt, and her insistence that she will watch over Yuuki and the way that she tries to downplay what has happened and focus on Mari’s problems establish her denial. The events push the conflict from between the characters to Mirai with herself, and the resolution of that conflict will come when Mari finally forces Mirai to acknowledge that Yuuki is gone. I imagine that will result in angry denial, perhaps with Mirai exploiting something she learns about Mari’s situation to strike out at her, followed by some kind of acceptance and an apology.

You can look at all of the bits of evidence that support the idea that Yuuki didn’t make it, but I think even the mile-high view fits the cookie cutter.

I was surprised by this turn of events. I expected Mari’s family to have been dead all along, because her behavior after the earthquake didn’t look much like something someone with a young child whose welfare is unknown would engage in. I always expected a bittersweet ending, but I thought it would be kept at a distance like most of the tragedy in the show.

30. wackedfoo says:

i was completely fooled by this episode. now that i think about it, i wasn’t really paying attention when the news talked about sangenjaya and i just assumed mari was depressed about that the whole time.

31. meow says:

Went ahead and saw 8 anyway. Didn’t want to be mulling over this all week til the next episode. Yea..pretty sure Yuki is dead. Damn. They should change the op and ed now. It’s just too upbeat, especially the ed. I got the impression that this would be a story with a happy ending in the midst of tragedy – with the three bearing witness rather than being direct victims of it. On a side note, it’s weird that the newscast excerpt at the end specifically mentions someone’s daughter going missing. It seemed like the newscaster was talking about Mari, which felt so unreal.

32. Larien says:

I knew right away that Yuuki had really died, and that the second “dream” was in fact reality. It’s what makes this show that much more real – in the event of a real earthquake of this size, this is the kind of thing that would happen. Life doesn’t always have happy endings waiting for us, sometimes those nightmares come true.

For example, when I was 11 years old and it was suspected by my doctor that I had cancer, mine and my parents’ initial thought was that it was, and it would be horrible – it’s natural to feel afraid like that and expect the worst. And we were right, it was cancer, and it was horrible. Things don’t always end okay.

This show is amazing, but I am so sad now!

33. Theowne says:

I don’t know that it makes it quite real. The amount of casualties is fairly small for the population, so there is an overwhelmingly high chance, technically speaking, that the main chars should be alright, particularly since they escaped unscathed from the original tremors.

I thought the whole escaping Tokyo Tower debris was a misstep with forced drama back when it happened. If I had known it would lead to this, it would have been even worse.

What bugs me the most is the hallucination at the end. That is simple anime exaggeration, and doesn’t happen in real life. Which is okay, since it’s an anime, but I dunno, at the beginning I thought that this anime was aiming for something different.

34. tealovertoma says:

@ meow:

The ED song actually reminds me of the OP song of Natsu no Sora, another anime that pulled off tragedy fairly realistic and hit me *really* hard.

35. meow says:

@tealovertoma

I didn’t see the end of natsu no sora cos I wasn’t able to find episode 10. Last I saw was something about the elder teacher doing something to Sora in a room and the boyfriend catching sight of it and going depressed. I’ll go look it up somewhere. Usually Someday’s Dreamers stories are quite heartwarming stories though.

@Larien – I hope everything is okay with u and wish you the best.

36. AlexS says:

#33 @Theowne

Well, I’m not really sure if it’s really an hallucination, but rather the way of expression in anime of the denial that often happens when someone close to you dies. Teens are prone to a strong denial phase, and in the context of an earthquake, where you have the pressing need to mind of your survival and of those around you, denial will be even stronger.

So I don’t think she is totally unaware of Yuuki’s death, but rather that she’s strongly blocking this fact from her consciousness. In this booklet there are some examples of behaviors that come close to that.

Actually, strong denial of death can result in pretty bizarre situations.

Anyways, psgel’s will have some hard time not to spoil things for the folks who were fooled, when he comments the next episodes.

37. meow says:

Haha psgel’s comments lately in the threads that I follow are almost an episode summary so it doesn’t make a difference. XD I’m actually kinda grateful. I’m usually pretty sensitive to this sort of thing…especially something that blindsides me. Watching Mirai now is only going to be more painful. There were hints from the previous episodes but I honestly didn’t think they’d go this far so I’m glad the shock got softened by the stuff I read here.

About Mirai’s hallucinations, I think it makes alot of sense for Mirai’s mind to create this fantasy to soften the blow she’s taken – considering all the shocks she’s been taking since the whole earthquake started. I wonder if she might even blame herself for the earthquake; she’s the one who wished for the world to break in the first place. The last thing she would want would be to lose her kid brother to it. A part of the reason that the usually self-centered Mirai losing all sense of self preservation to save him might be her sense of responsibility for their predicament. And in the end, she fails. To face that head on, plus adding in her exhaustion, her worries about her parents, while still reeling from the end of her world, right down to her school…it’s either this or to sit in a corner in mental lockdown.

I thought it was a nice touch how every time Mirai sees Mari’s worried face, she mistakes it for Mari worrying about her daughter and tries to cheer her up, when in fact it’s Mari worrying about Mirai’s confused state.

For me, stories like this and Natsu no Sora (yep, found some summaries of the ending) are great to watch once but I think I’d never touch it again afterwards. It’s just too sad.

38. Julian says:

Sorry Psgels for posting “that” comment, I wasn’t really sure until I read all the comments here….to the topic, I think anyone can conclude that Yuki DID die…

39. Firechick says:

I thought this episode was quite good. And I actually kinda like the OP.

40. watashi says:

I totally missed that Yuuki would have died. I can’t believe before I see the next episode. It would be such a surprise. Now I am a little confused. By the way, I also think the opening is a great one.

41. Alex says:

Yuuki is in fact dead. I knwo this for sure because when Mari did not find Mirai in her blanket, she called only for Mirai and not Yuuki. If you look at the past episodes, then you will find Mari calling for both. Why would Mari only call for Mirai? Its because she knows Yuuki is not able to be found. And the Mari’s tears were the biggest hint. Mirai is talking about how worried Mari must be about her daughter and tries to comfort her, when Mari hears those words and knows that she is being comforted after such a loss, its painful. Its hard to see a person in denial…

42. Perrin4869 says:

This anime is on its way to becoming an instant classic

43. Theowne says:

@AlexS 36

I realize that traumatic grief can result in denial, but I don’t think that extended multisensory hallucinations occur except in the most mentally unstable of people. Here it is just anime exaggeration.

And of course, as I said, anime is anime, and doesn’t have to be like real life. In fact, I’d even say this is a pretty good way of showing Mirai’s state of denial, and is quite sad. But I just got this notion that this series was trying to be a bit more realistic with its handling of being a “disaster flick” and so seeing it go into cliche territory is a bit disheartening, for me at least.

44. Forwho says:

@ Theowne

The reason why I felt that Yuuki might be dead while watching that episode and for the whole time, desperately wishing that Mari and Yuuki would have some exchange at least so to show that Yuuki isn’t dead is because of a movie I watched earlier this year. It’s called The Uninvited. I’m sorry if I spoiled this movie for anyone, but the case inside this is very similar to Mirai is behaving now, because the main character has been interacting with her dead sister so well that everyone was fooled. So I don’t think it’s just an anime exaggeration. I think it’s in every way possible for such things to happen, especially with Mirai and what she has been going through since the earthquake.

It was my gut feeling that pushed me to pick up this show and I’m so loving every single episode of it–yes, even the robots one which I don’t get what’s the hate about. lol. I hope this show gets more love!

And goodness, I agree with the person who said that the OP and especially the ED because they really fooled me that this will all end happily. :/

45. Theowne says:

Okay, it may not be strictly anime exaggeration, but it is still exaggeration and unrealistic. Bringing up a comparison with a movie you watched is not really a good counter…..=P….Even with just a minimal dabbing in psychology, I know that extended multisensory hallucinations like what Mirai is apparently having is utter nonsense and does not happen to real life except for people who are, excuse the term, nutcases with complex history with mental issues. Grief, particularly sibling grief, manifests in many complex ways but this is just exaggerated.

Now to reiterate, I don’t have a problem with anime going over the line, but let’s not say it’s realistic.

46. Meep says:

Excellent run-down of the hints that reveal Yuuki’s death.

47. Lala says:

I also think Yuki is dead. I didn’t want to admit it, but yeah, I think it’s true. I started crying when I found out. I suppose that’s what the paperwork was for, and it explains why Mari was looking like that.

Good grief, these creators have guts. A lot of guts. I’m really upset about it right now…

48. AlexS says:

@ Theowne

You misunderstand. I’m not saying that she’s having a multisensory hallucination. I don’t think she’s having a hallucinations at all. I just think that she’s blocking Yuuki’s death, which is very different.

The anime is clearly showing things from the subjective point of view of Mirai (already with the first death scene), and is just continuing to do it. Yuuki is represented because Mirai does not want to acknowledge his death, but it does not mean that she’s hallucinating him.

And it’s not the first time this anime takes subjective points of view (Mari’s nightmare is another one). It’s ok with me, since people’s point of view on reality are also part of the experience of an event, since they condition real world behaviors.

49. Frog Baseball Team says:

YUUKI IS DEAD! HE’S NO LONGER HERE…

BUT… ON MY BACK AND IN MY HEART, HE LIVES ON AS A PART OF ME!

50. shit says:

i think Yuuki died…i don’t know why i just feel it …i am very confused right now. he was not carrying his bag. he was not beside Mirai when she woke up, his bag was there. Mari kinda hinted that he died when she said “about Yuuki…i would tell your parents…” or something like that. Mari is not holding any of their hands. I AM VERY CONFUSED

51. anonymous says:

LOL! Right now he is equal to Schroedinger’s cat.

52. Patrick says:

I was fooled as well, but now that I know he is dead they would better use this well in next episodes. Because to me it felt more like: hey let’s kill the kid because we don’t have enough story to make 11 episodes. He was perfectly well and then he dies like that, quite a bit cheesy to me.

53. Perrin4869 says:

Only that the uncertainty that he’s dead is definitely lower than the uncertainty that he’s alive… If I understand the uncertainty principle correctly, that is.

54. Anon says:

NEVER FORGET!

55. anonymous says:

Dead or Alive!?!

A real spoiler please!

56. AnonRage says:

@56

FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

57. tealovertoma says:

09 was a nice episode and confirmed it. “Crush syndrome” is what they’re calling it.

58. Firechick says:

Why is it that everyone around me thinks that Yuuki is dead? I don’t think this show would pull off a Kanon-like ending. This show’s supposed to be realistic without any spiritual elements or supernatural elements at all. Besides, if this show really had the guts to kill off Yuuki, they would either be saving it for the final episode or show something where Mirai asks about Yuuki but Mari either refuses to answer to say that she doesn’t know what she’s talking about.

59. POS says:

@Firechick

It’s a real psychological disorder where a person cannot cope with stress, stemming from a great loss. The person imagines that what he/she has lost to be there. It’s all mirai’s imagination/hallucination. Nothing supernatural involved.

@tealovertoma

Yeap, Yuuki died from Crush Syndrome. They should have sent him to a doctor even though it looked like he emerged from the building collapse scratchless.

60. teddybear says:

if… if yuuki died from ‘crush syndrome’ as others says, does that mean he was sick since the time he was trapped in the shopping centre?

Poor yuuki… why’d he have to die… ;__;

61. tazman0208 says:

Well I see people saying that Yuuki died from crush syndrome. That is not the case, Yuuki died from cerebral bleeding after the conccusion he got when the Tokyo tower collapsed and he was hit in the head while saving his sister.
    if you look at the symptoms you will see that Yuuki had most of them, delayed loss of conciousness, vomiting, loss of memory ect… Just wanted to make that clear.

62. tazman0208 says:

Edit: as opposed to crush syndrome that has the following symptoms:
    Compression in excess of 60 minutes
    Involvement of a large muscle mass
    Absent pulse and capillary refill return to distal limb
    Pale, clammy, cool skin
     Weak, rapid pulse
     Usually absence of pain in affected region
     Onset of shock

Well after rewatching the 2nd episode again, it didnt look to me that Yuuki was crushed at all since that girl was protecting him when the shelf fell over them.

63. TokyoMag8.0 says:

Yuuki also doesn’t like to tell people if hes ill or tired

@Lenlo & Kaiser: I expected this to happen. I was only unsure because I didn't know how deeply integrated Yuri's gear was. It's the only good way to conclude his character arc and the series as a whole. Kinda hope that all those "die"-death-hints are actually just a metaphor for the death of gears and the commercialised power-augmentation in sports.
@Aidan: yeah and they're overinterpreting stuff. When you really love a series and watch it 10+ times you'll notice things nobody else will ever see and things that are most likely not even there or at least not planned. Then they see a sequel or somethign for the first time and of course they won't see the same 100 hints and deepnesses they believe to see in the original
Alright. Personally, I am pumped for Megalo Box's finale. I am so glad I was right in what Yuri did. It was great at building it up. Heres hoping it doesnt throw it away next week
Like that's what really annoys me about Evangelion fans. The way they talk about the show, they assume that Anno was completely aware of the impact the series would have from the start and planned every intricate detail to perfection regardless of importance. But that's not just untrue by opinion, but is objectively proven untrue.
@Amagi, There are some legitimate complaints like the audio Muxing not being great. But I hear stuff like the original character in the first season being SO much deeper and think "What?". If it's one thing that really annoys me, it's when people start talking about a show like it's a planned masterpiece.
Risky move there by Yuri in megalobox ep12.
Sometimes the voice acting isn't good in both versions, Elfen lied and the original flcl didn't have great voice acting either in English or Japanese.
I got into the habit some years ago of watching most anime with dual audio because I used to do short reviews once upon a time and switching back and forth between subs and dub while marathoning a show gave me best of both and I could talk about both the English and Japanese versions when reviewing.
I usually don't even watch dubs but considering that there is no other option here (yet) I did it and think it's pretty good, especially Haruko.
@Aidan: Was thinking the exact same thing about FLCL. I fail to see how the original is much different than the sequel. For me it's pretty much the same thing - they tried to keep the style but change the frame to avoid copying it 100%. I enjoy the new series and love the characters.
Dubs pretty good. Watched it dubbed myself.
Probably a good thing then that I haven't seen the original in a long time then, which I thought was alright but got better as it went along. How is the dub? Only the dub is out as far as I looked on Nyaatorrents.
Alright, finished the 3 episodes out. I enjoyed it. It was a fun watch. But I gotta say that the reaction online is rather annoying. I see the original series getting placed on a higher and higher pedestal. Part of the reason I may be enjoying this series is because I didn't examine the previous series under a mircoscope and pretty much acknowledge that it was just a animators showcase.
@Aidan: Probably not as GREAT as Onizuka though.
So I started watching the new FLCL and let me say that this new teacher is the greatest teacher I have ever seen.
Don't think it's on Netflix. Though I think that Stardust crusaders is airing dubbed.
Is this series on Netflix? It was always one of the few anime that were very popular in the West while still airing weekly and with subs (and despite the fact that we didn't even have the manga in the West)
Man that's awesome. Also I have to admit that part 6 is probably my favorite so it's great to know that they'll most likely animate everything.
What the hell
JoJo's part 5 anime announced and it's about goddamn time.
Id agree to that. Im mostly interested in where it goes after what looked like a pretty final ending. Im guessing timeskip of some kind, or World Line switch
I didn't think any of the drama in this episode rung false.
Pretty satisfied with steins;gate this week, kept things moving and the stilted style of the show didn't get in as much the way of the setpiece that was in this episode.
I'm quite surprised by how I've gotten over a 100 chapters in and Asirpa hasn't been fanserviced explicitly.
HH Holmes had a death hotel actually.
Actually I think one of the criminals was based on a real person.
The author really likes referencing real people to, Bonnie and Clyde , Ed Gein, some American agriculturist and the inventor of some refile .
Its very true that golden kamuy does get goofier and thats true for the manga also, though theres a prisoner weirder than the one in episode 11 he does advance the plot further. One of the soldiers gets some backstory too. Sometimes the goofiness works but at others doesn't.
I'm watching the new FLCL and planning to review it once it's done. Maybe.
In my quest and love of historical manga I wound up running into this, these guys are translating it over at their site: https://blog.manga.club/blog/mangaclub-blog-vol-10-jose-rizal-serialization/
Not yet, no. Plannin on it this weekend
There are three episodes of the new flcl out. I haven't seen it yet and its been ages since I saw the original, has anyone watched any of the new series?
I can understand that. Anything less than a 3 I often dont finish/deem worthy even being talked about. In anime or movies.
Its too hard to give 1/5s or 2/5s.
Despite my complaints I gave it a 3/5.
....feck sorry about that. I didn't think anyone else on here would have been interested =< Thanks for removing it.
Come on Kaiser, even if I didn't get anything out of it doesn't mean that other people won't. Best not to put a big spoiler on the front page of the site.
Just deleting a spoiler there.
That production company tend to do quite poor trailers that misrepresent their films.
I would probably punch someone for laughing/talking during a horror film though.
Babadook did the grief horror better. Though honestly my favourite horrors this year weren't American ones.
Upgrade might end up being more fun, which is an action horror comedy.
@Aidan: While terribly schmalzy and lacking a proper ending, quiet place had a better idea and atmosphere.
@Aidan: In the end it just felt like comparisons to Rosemary's baby and the Exorcist hurt the film. I just thought it was an awkward mix of commercial and indie horror. Like a lesser version of the conjuring.
@Aidan: I didn't laugh but I also couldn't really feel it/connect with it.
@Aidan: I also disliked how it answered its questions and story rather than leaving stuff unexplained and the actual exposition in the last act was quite awkward.
@Aidan: I saw it on Thursday, it doesn't live up to the witch or even it comes at night. On one hand I appreciate limiting the jumpscares and gore, going more for atmosphere and character drama. Toni Collette and Gabriel Byrne kind of hold it together for me. But the two kids, like in most horror films were awful.
Just seen Hereditary. The so called scariest film since The Exorcist.
So scary that people in the cinema were laughing.
I've been playing Hollow Knight on Switch. It's perhaps the longest metroidvania game I've ever played. The game has a nonlinear progression with a lot of optional areas, which add wonder to the somber and mysterious tone of the game.
I also like how much Nagai overstylizes, overdesigns his characters.
Not that its abandoned its comedic elements.
@Sash: The twin tailed girl got impaled and its gone in a somewhat darker direction yes.
Sash
apparently cutie honey is getting devilman vibes.. haven't watched it though so take this with a grain of salt
@Lenlo: Somewhere in my head is an image of Baraka from mortal combat in the same picture as Himiko Toga.
Hero Aca, still my favorite Shounen.
Just got the Re:zero Blu-ray a whole ten days before it's officially released. Gotta be the first to see the dub.
Yeah. Her whole scene was terrible. As much as I loved Maho in a pando costume, it should have stopped there. We didnt need the groping.
FERRIS NYAN-NYAN OmO kill it, kill it with muh-fire, kill it with muh-fire.
Also, Megalobox, hot damn. I love it. I love it all. Mmmm I cant wait.
Partly, yeah. Im mid writeup for it. Suffice to say the fan-service was... alittle awkward to me
Filler episode of Steins; gate this week.
I cant wait to see it, ive heard good things
Damn I love Megalobox so much it's my favorite series this season.
I can't wear a suit to work everyday
*wotaku's
You are now aware that you un-intentionally stealth cosplay as watoki's protagonist each time you go to work.
Pretty sure Psgels is paying to keep the site up but it's not a sum that one would consider significant. Site is dirt cheap.
I've thought about using MPC as an extra player, while mainly using vlc, but vlc can be buggy for me sometimes in that it lags and pixelates the video often , I've used MPC on videos that vlc bugs-out on and they work better.
Out of curiosity, what videoplayer (example media player, realplayer, winamp, vlc, mediaplayer classic)do all of you use for watching anime?
You silly old people
lol how do you think I feel, I've been at this for 20 years =P
All these "confessions" just underline how old we all are; and still keep on that stupid hobby after all those years :))
I first visited the site around 2009, 2010 but was pretty much a lurker until I started writing for the site.
As far as I know, psgels gave the admin privilege for K-Off and Aidan, and it's K-Off who pays for the site now (other admins pls confirm)
Of course I have no idea how much it costs to keep the blog up, he could always end up stopping paying for it if he needed to cut costs.
I'm actually curious in estimating how much longer the blog has left. Obviously psgels must be still paying to keep the site up, but he is, of course only mortal.
The blog began in 2005, but I started reading it in 2009, began posting on the chatbox in 2010.
I wonder which weekly review was the first one I've read on psgels. I remember .hack//roots but not sure if it was the first one. Could very well be the case, though.
Nevermind, despite being an old as shit reader I never actually read the whole text of the about-part.
How old is this blog anyway? I am a regular reader since 2006 or something although it was only recently that I started talking here.
Oh I know all about that Kaiser. It was amazing to read about
Raggers
Wow, this is still going? Good on you guys
*wiki article
@Lenlo: Read the cultural impact of the original ashita no Joe on the youtube article, Japanese actually mass mourned him
Some writers just know how to get an un-explainably effective rhythm going.
I always struggle with commenting/reviewing mood pieces and slice of life mood pieces especially, even when I finish something in the genre sometimes I'll go "I don't understand why this worked so well for me, why wasn't it boring?"
Anonymous2194677
Microsot E3 Press Conference was nuts, they showed too many games.
Hey guys, I made/edited my very first video about a show I greatly love, hope you'll give it a watch too:

Yeah, and an NES prequel to Bloodstained Ritual of the Night launched a couple of weeks ago. And while easier than NES castlevanias it's quite fun. Also very cheap only $10.
Alas, I've not kept up much with the videogame scene in a number of years. I know there's a spiritual successor to castlevania being made though.
Sorry Nightmare Creatures its what it's called.
Actually come to think of it, the 64 games probably had more vampires than the others I played.
Have you played the game that inspired this Castlevania? Deadly Creatures?
Never did get round to playing as Henry though.
I remember the garden stage being especially frustrating as Schneider because of how slow he moved.
Also that game demands you to play on normal or higher to play beyond that nitro stage.
I remember having to finish the game in a day because I was saddled with constantly rubbish memory cards for my N64.
Sorry, I post fast and long so some of what I say probably might get missed/skimmed over.
Actually I did mention it, called it the nitro stage.
Still I think despite the flaws it's has become fun for me because I surprisingly get better each time I play it. and last time I make the game chug because of how fast I was progressing.
Yeah. But I'm surprised you don't mention the worst part. The Nitro and Mandragora level. In which you have to go across several rooms without jumping.
@Anon: I remember the game punishes you for using the item seller guy too much aswell.
I remember the mansion level being creepy back then.
But the werewolf thing was pretty rad.
And then there was that crumbling labyrinth stage. I remember on hard mode you have to fight the chainsaw gardener too.
The art tower stage is also annoying if you run out of day/night cards.
Also it wouldn't let you finish it properly if you took too long.
@Anon: The N64 castlevanias have so many flaws, weird controls , bad camera , the day and night feature is kind of cool but it also puts a timer on things and certain parts become a pain because of it. They had frustrating bits too like the ice castle part with the weird jump sections and the nitro carrying stage.
Lords of Shadow was another IP the developer had to accomodate into a known IP kinda like Star Fox Adventures.
The other Castlevanias I haven't played are Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness. LoS was ok but very long. and it's interquel Mirror of Fate put me off playing LoS2.
I haven't played that one. Seems like a mixed bag. Like Zelda 2 or Metroid 2.
I've seen playthroughs of simon's quest, but we all know why thats a notorious mess.
Castlevania 64 and Legacy of Darkness are also my guilty pleasures. I think if Konami still made Castlevanias it would have tried aping the Souls type of gameplay.
I remember some very very silly voice acting and dialogue in symphony of the night.
I preferred when they were just platform games. Later ones incoperated level up elements if I recall.
After SOTN I think the game coming closer to that greatness is Order of Ecclesia if anything it keeps the difficulty of the classic Castlevanias and puts it in the Metroidvania formula. It has a platforming challenge level that's very satisfying to play.
I've played most of them. Castlevania 3 is a very tough game, but that also makes the journey feel long and rewarding. Rondo of Blood feels like the cornerstone of the series since it's the Castlevania that got most of it's sprite reused in later games.
Reminds me, the game, clocktower is vaguely inspired by an old Italian horror film.
And symphony of the night.
I actually feel I should have played more castlevania back in the day, I've played bloodlines, castlevania 4, Dracula X, legacy of darkness, admittedly the last one isn't a good game and is more of a guilty pleasure.
They could still meet Grant in the Clocktower.
I wonder if the second season will be the journey to the castle like in the game. And the third season is entirely in the castle.
Already a season 3 announced.
Oh god yes. I cant wait
New netflix castlevania episodes out next month.
Was going to mention that. Wish more shows would do o.
Yeah, a lot of plot threads are converging and I like it. My favorite part though was Iglesias and their commitment to non-japanese languages. They were good!
*his bit
@Lenlo: Glad that sachio gets hit bit of backstory and that its well connected to the rest of the overall plot.
Alright Megalo Box was pretty good this week. So much to say
Indeed the Alliance system is atypical of mass democracy. There seem to be no organised parties and lists. Instead administrations seem to be formed on a personalist basis(me and my chums). And the Assembly seems to have very weak powers of oversight. A very flawed institutionally system. But I digress . It is still anime and even from Tanaka I do not expect deep discussion of democratic politics
I mean if two of 9 ministers in an administration resigned in any current representative/competitive election system it would be a big news and embarrassment to the goverment. My guess is that they were blackmailed to stay on, or were too afraid of the war party.
busy weeks (finals and deadlines). Watched the latest LOGH:NT episode. It was ok. A bit dry, but so are many of the episodes of NT or the Original on their own. One think it led me to think is that neither the books , nor the OVA, nor NT explain why Rebelo/Lebello and Huang Rui (the two politicians opposed to the Invasion of the Empire) did not resign in opposition. (Turnhit also opposed but..)
I think its cause of Daru's voice. Hes so overt about it and his voice makes it so clear hes not really being serious about any of that, cause it completely changes when hes talking serious subjects
@Kaiser: Yeah I am watching CCS but funny enough I fell behind too, so it might be someone else you're thinking of
Always felt that Daru strikes a hit when it comes to pervy/otaku characters. Most of them tend to be incredibly annoying.
This episode was nice and chill while still moving stuff forward. I enjoyed it. It does seem like we are hitting the main conflict though, with Amadeus and Maho
@Lenlo: I feel with this episode the plot is really moving along now.
@Kaiser, Thats the question aint it? How to savem both? We know he does, cause of the original, but alot happens along the way. Its a great ride
Bad light novels would make for good fire and burning material =)
@Amagi: I think it was you who was keeping up with the new cardcaptor sakura? or may that was bokusenou? I fell behind in it.
Given Japan is often thought to be a racist society.
I suppose though its saying something though, about them dropping that LN author for racism , its probably, considering its Japan, progressive that they called him out for his racisim.
Angel cop's Japanese version I think had some rant about Judaisim in its last episode too I think.
Honestly I try not to seek out stories about how awful certain creators are if I can.
Viz decided not to run Kenshin's followup/side story manga. But oddly they decided to keep going with toriko even though toriko's author also got in trouble for pedophilic charges.
Looking at that Isekai anime I say we we saved from something truly terrible. Though I find it odd that it was dropped because the author was a racist not because of it well...being goddamn terrible.
@Amagi: I watched a random episode, laughed more than I should have.
btw Is anyone besides me watching Tiramisu? Am I the only one that finds this shit funny?
@Amagi: I'd only read the ANN article title and decided I wouldn't entertain the comments by reading on.

Steins;Gate 0 – 11 [Pandora of Forgotten Existence -Sealed Reliquary-]

Welcome to Steins;Gate 0, this week with the most “final” middle of a series episode ever. We have drama, we have guns, we even have probable time skips! Lets jump in. This was an overall solid episode. It tried to wrap up, or tie together, a lot of plot threads and resolve character arcs before […]

Golden Kamuy – 11 [Everybody, Get Together! It’s a Murder Hotel!]

Welcome to Bates hotel!! Alright, make no mistake, this is the funniest episode of Golden Kamuy we will ever have. Still dark, have very little to do with the main plot, but it’s spooky fun. Even trashy fun with all the dick jokes. This is Golden Kamuy at its loosest shape. Which is not a […]

Hisone to Masotan – 10 [Melting in Love]

Pretty visual aside, I wonder how much fuel left for this aircraft before it runs out of ideas. HisoMaso has never been a show with detailed world building, or even thick plot to begin with, and as the usual case for me, nothing much happened in this episode. The biggest plot point of this week […]

Hinamatsuri – 11 [A Man Thirsty for Blood, Violence and Money]

The theme of this week is the kind hearts of our cast, and we have 2 parts that take the idea and go into different directions. Remember when I mentioned before how Hinamatsuri would be if Anzu takes Hina’s place? That’s exactly the idea behind the second half. I’m glad that Nitta has some major […]

Darling in the Franxx – 21[For You, My Love]

Huh…wasn’t expecting that to be resolved so quickly. So as predicted Zero Two makes it to Darling and as predicted they power up and drive off the aliens. Also as predicted Zero is is now dead…or dying…or in a coma…or in some state that leaves her dead eyes by episodes end. I admit to be […]

Megalo Box – 11 [A Deadmarch]

Incredible Megalo Box… Simply incredible. This week was perfect in every way but one, and at this point that one is easily overlooked. Let’s skip this preamble and jump right in! Megalo Box had a lot going on this week as we see the culmination of a lot of characters big arcs. Starting off, lets […]

Steins;Gate 0 – 10 [Pandora of Provable Existence -Forbidden Cubicle-]

Welcome one and all to another week of Steins;Gate 0! This week we have fluffy, lovable dates, awkward fan service and terrible revelations. Lets jump in! So overall this week felt mostly like a filler episode. I understand that some of the contents were necessary for relationship building and such. That it was a sort […]

Golden Kamuy – 10 [Fellow Traveler]

New episode, new season, new plan, new scenery and possible new set of enemy too. Considered Golden Kamuy’s track record, I won’t be surprised if the new face Kiroranke, at the risk of Asirpa slaps me on my face for saying so. He’s in the interesting position in all this, both an ex-7th Unit Hokkaido, […]

Darling in the Franxx – 20[A New World]

Suddenly, Aliens. If you are surprised by this sudden plot twist then I am guessing you are new to Trigger works. For in some form or another space gets involved. Indeed this is fairly reminiscent of Kill la Kill or Gurren Laggan and I will toot my own horn about somewhat anticipating it. I at […]

Fate/Stay Night Heaven’s Feel – I Prestige Flower Anime Review – 90/100

We have seen an influx of Fate adaptations over the last year and sadly each has proven to be disappointing except for a cooking slice of life short series which is weirdly better than it has any right to be. This movie was the last of the Fate adaptations that I needed to see but […]

Violet Evergarden (2018 Winter) Review – 76/100

Violet Evergarden’s existence has surely been a public one. Acclaimed before everyone lick a taste of it (it was awarded for grand prize in the fifth Kyoto Animation Award’s novel category in 2014 – read, KyoAni awards), it goes without saying that Violet Evergarden is one of the most anticipated show of the sparse Winter […]

A Place Further than the Universe (Winter 2018) Review – 77/100

Cute girls doing cute things is a genre that been done to death at this point. Even within this Winter 2018 we had been overloaded with big eyes fluffy face girls doing a lot of different things of interest. It takes a standout concept or a deeper narrative to make one stand out from this […]

After the Rain (2018 Winter) Review – 89/100

I suppose that most of us, even the perministic ones, enter After the Rain (Ameagari) with some reservations. After all, the premise about a crush from an 18-year-old girl to the store manager who is nearly 30 years senior raises a lot of red flags here. Yet the show handles this tricky premise with deep […]

Kokkoku – 42.5/100

There are lots of bad anime out there, for one reason or another. Whether it be stilted animation, terrible writing or bad direction, a good portion of each season is simply not worth it. Kokkoku is not a bad anime. It is something much worse. Kokkoku is a mediocre anime. Bad ones get talked about, […]

Junji Ito Collection Anime Review – 40/100

In the realm of manga there is a man whose name is inescapable when the genre of horror is brought up. That man is Junji Ito and his work is considered legendary for its artistic detail, mastery of manga paneling and it’s outlandish imaginative concepts. Up till now his work has yet to have an […]

Yuru Camp (Winter 2018) Review – 74/100

I admit that I underestimated Yuru Camp back in its first few episodes. I took it as a standard, run-on-the-mill slice of life show and I fully expected to give it 3 episodes at max before throwing it into the deep sea of forgotten anime. But as time pass, I can certainly see many good […]

Neo Yokio – 96/100

This may be half a year overdue but I simply can’t accept that none of the writing staff of Star Crossed Anime have cover the the biggest development in anime where Netflix took a hand in producing anime in the form of Neo Yokio. Taking place in the metropolis of Neo Yokio, a mashup between […]

Devilman Crybaby – 83/100

It’s an exciting time to be an anime fan where new business models and players are making big waves within the animation industry. After debuting with the original and excellently-produced Neo Yokio, the juggernaut streaming service of Netflix has decided to revive the classic series of Devilman and gives it the full adaption treatment. By […]