Posted by psgels on 28 August 2009 with categories: Tokyo Magnitude 8.0

The past two episodes of this series made me think a lot about the nature of criticism. Especially after the previous episode, which I slammed down for having Yuki supposedly collapse for cheap drama, even though it’s not that weird for people to get sick in these situations. I also remember people who weren’t happy with that episode because it included robots. But yeah, then you have things as this: is it still unrealistic and unbelievable when it’s being used in real life?

I think that a lot of people (including myself; I’ve caught myself doing this plenty of times), whenever they are turned off they start looking for reasons why. These seeming logic flaws are then very easy targets for these criticisms. Ignoring the obvious cases in which a plot twist becomes so stupid or unbelievable that it destroys the entire suspension of disbelief, these things often aren’t the real reasons for these declines in quality, and in the case of very realistic shows as Tokyo Magnitude, you can see people who start blaming things that turn out to be perfectly normal.

In the end, the only thing that I can really criticize this series for is that I don’t like the OP. I’m one of those people who is too lazy to skip through OPs (aside from perhaps marathons), but at the same time I’ve never been a big fan of neither j-pop or j-rock, and Abington Boy’s School is no exception to this rule, and the song they used for this series’ OP is getting more and more on my nerves.

I think the thing with this series is that episodes 2-5 were utterly amazing, and the past episodes, instead of building up to a great climax at the end, instead went to go for a much quieter aftermath. It’s not exactly the same as Eden of the East, where it became clear along the way that the creators just took too much on their plate and badly paced the series after its initial episodes. With Tokyo Magnitude, I think it’s obvious that the past few episodes lacked the same emotional impact of the first five episodes. The question however is: does it need to be?

I’m getting more and more convinced that this show indeed doesn’t really need to be. I’ve become so used to anime, which nearly all have the general pattern of a build-up that gets increasingly full of tension, but here we have an entire subversion of this trope. During an earthquake, the biggest emotional shock comes right after it happens, and after that the tension, while it’s still there, fades as more and more people regain their sensibilities. The more I think about it, the more realistic it becomes.

Anyway, about this episode, aside from the total chaos in the hospital it was a very quiet one. Yuki turns out to be fine for now, while Mirai has visibly grown up while Mari becomes more and more worried as to what happened to her children. It’s a role reversal here: the reason Mirai managed to grow wasn’t just because she had to look after Yuki, but also because Mari, who started out as a mother figure, started to show more and more of her weaknesses. And that was the strength of episode six: its purpose wasn’t to insert some random illness, but instead show that Mari instead was just a human being, and at that point Mirai realized that her whining wasn’t going to help at all to solve the situation, especially since you can really see that she wants Mari to be reunited with her daughter.

As for the reason why Mari refused to take the scooter in episode: she might actually be running away. Take a look at this episode: instead of walking fast, like what I would do when I was worried about someone, she often walks way behind Mirai and Yuki. It’s as if she’s scared to find out that her daughter died.
Rating: ** (Excellent)
Edit: I rewatched this episode, based on your comments, and you’re right: they’ve given this episode a completely different meaning, and what I believed was a rather quiet episode has now become incredibly sad instead. I really have to give thumbs up for the creators for having the guts to go this far.
Rating: *** (Awesome)

1. anonymous says:

I think it was implied that Yuuki died. There are lots of hints that Mirai is just in denial.
    Watch closely Mari when Mirai speaks about him, or to him. She apologises about something, and does not speak or even look at Yuuki even once. Bag carrying is also good hint.

2. tealovertoma says:

I agree completely with anonymous. I’m 99% sure Yuuki’s dead. There’s a lot of hints and the general atmosphere has completely changed.

This episode deserves 3 stars as far as I’m concerned. For a moment I thought they were going to pull of “Yuuki’s dead oh no wait he isn’t, everything’s fine” twice, but it turns out he really did die. Easily the best choice IMO. Very touching, very nice.

3. tealovertoma says:

Just wanted to add something to that: the reason Mari walks so far behind “them” is because she’s giving Mirai some space to come to terms with things. She left a message for their parents that says Yuuki died. And when she’s trying to bring up the subject of Yuuki, Mirai quickly interrupts because she’s in denial.

I wonder when they’ll make Mirai realise it? Maybe Yuuki will suddenly be gone and Mirai tries to find him until Mari finally makes her realise it again? Or maybe they won’t reveal it until they see her parents and the parents go “I’m so sorry about Yuuki, Mirai”?

4. juu says:

when Yuki seemed alive after the death scene, I thought, that it’s an average episode, such a great death scene totally wasted… but then when I realized that he is more likely really dead, I felt very miserable…

I thing maybe Mari’s daugher will play a role in Mirai realizing the truth? Because surely Mirai would want to introduce him to her..?

5. terrorist says:

wow I have not thought in that way. If that’s the case, as toma said, creators have went with the best choice ^^ respectable.

6. Sywen says:

I also think Yuki is dead. because i don’t think the creators would spend half an episode on ‘just’ a dream to create some artificial drama and suspens. I give them more credit after what i saw so far in this show.

7. reverse says:

the probability that yuki already dead is high.
    at the end went the camera start panning out yuki is nowhere in sight.

8. wakka9ca says:

You said you don’t like the OP. But it’s the opposite for me… The lyrics of abingdon boys school’s song perfectly fits this series and describes the victims’ emotion after a disaster.

Here is the translation:

I am drawn into
    The smell of moist asphalt and rain
    Always scared and with clenched knees
    I watch the low clouds

The days when you were kind to me are almost gone
    When this crooked world
    Corrects itself
    I shall be by your side

Should my wish come true
    I’ll give you my all
    The only thing i want is your warmth
    Never let go of my hand

9. Forwho says:

I also have a creepy feeling that Yuuki indeed died. Seeing what other people have said about it makes a lot more sense to me. :(

10. AlexS says:

God, you people are paranoid. Yuuki is alive and kicking. Mirai is getting new information from her brother and Mari (why did they call both girls by almost the same name is beyond me), which would be uncommon if she was dreaming or whatever. And Mari would be quite spooked if Mirai spoke of her dead brother as if she was alive.

I also thought it was a bit cheap to pull the same trick twice, but it works, and it’s a nice and realistic way of making the audience feel the anguish of incertitude that people feel during catastrophes or accidents (will the patient survive or not?).

As for Mari, I agree that as she approaches her own residential area she is losing her calm, because confrontation to reality is more imminent. I was expecting that, but not via the news report, rather by seeing the destruction of the neighborhood. I’m moderately pessimistic about her case, since that would add quite some drama before finishing the anime with the siblings/parents reunion.

This episode was quite good, because the emotions rang true, even if it was a calm episode. What annoyed me in the last one was not that robots themselves are unrealistic, but that the boy’s story was so clumsy. The script writers were in better shape for this episode, although I think they should not have pulled the “Yuuki’s dead” trick twice.

11. foamer says:

Yeah all the clues were there, so sad T_T

12. anon says:

ten bucks says hes dead.

13. Frost says:

Ill be damned, at first I thought that maybe the real dream sequence was the one after Mirai wakes up, but then started to believe Yuuki is alive and was completely disappointed

But after reading the comments here it makes perfect sense… Mari doesnt talk to Yuuki a single time after that, and when she goes back to the place they were sleeping at, she just says “Mirai?”.. Why not “Mirai? Yuuki?” Because she knows Yuuki is indeed dead

Wow, what an awesome way of making a main character die, they even fooled me

+10 points for this show, I didnt even think they would actually kill off a main character

14. kode-dekka says:

Ok Yuuki is most definitely dead, there are all the above points but there is also another one you all missed that is unlike every other episode, he never says a word to Mari.

15. Nick says:

“We’re finished with all the legal work. Here are your documents”. Could it be Yuuki’s death certificate?

16. Frost says:

And heres another one someone pointed out on MAL, in the last shot where you see Mirai and other people walking around, theres no Yuuki… How is that possible? He was right in front of them ^^

That shot confirms 100% that he is dead and we saw the 2nd half of the episode through Mirai point of view only, which means she snapped and is hallucinating

17. daRAT says:

Yuuki is dead, notice after Mirai gets Yuuki from the soccer game Mari never talks to him or mentioned his name?

Also, Mari takes care of the “legal” paperwork at the hospital? Maybe just basic paperwork but I think it was a death certificate.

Mari’s initial assessment of Yuuki’s vital signs (really had me freaked here, being an ex-medic and all).

To many clues point to his death :(

18. Nick says:

I would be seriously pissed if Yuuki wasn’t dead. I mean all that emotional potential wasted??

19. AlexS says:

Oh well, you made me watch again the wake up scene, and you are indeed right, everything is compatible with the idea that Yuuki has become an imaginary friend.

Now I regret having watched the commentaries, it’s a bit like guessing too early things in “6th sense”, it spoils a bit the fun.

In any case, this of course changes the interpretation of Mari’s behavior, and it’s a nice shot from the part of the scriptwriters, I was completely fooled.

Suddenly I’m a lot more interested in this series ending!

20. meow says:

Hm…i haven’t seen 8 yet but I get the feeling I should skip this episode and wait for 9 to come out to see if there’s more information. If your impressions are right, this sounds like a mindf*ck episode, made doubly tragic by Yuuki’s passing and Mirai losing her grip on reality. Disturbing stuff. -.-; Well, it seems also possible that Yuuki might not be dead exactly but be in some kind of coma or other incapacitating condition that would put Mirai into such denial. I also think it’s odd that Mari and Mirai would leave the hospital so quickly if Yuuki were really dead. They might be in a hurry to find Yuuki’s parents and bring them to Yuuki quickly. The mention of documents also brings to mind the possibility that they have a new quest to find some expertise or materials Yuuki needs that aren’t available at the hospital because of the earthquake. Perhaps they have details of Yuuki’s condition that Mari must now deliver to some isolated specialist somewhere. Hm..I think I’m in denial now haha. Yep..i should wait for 9 or 10 for more info. XD I’m such a wimp…-.-

21. tealovertoma says:

Not completely impossible, but if you see the episode you’ll probably agree that it’s more likely he’s dead, because there’s a scene where Yuuki dies and it doesn’t feel like a dream scene or potential outcome. Also, they’re not hurrying when they’re leaving and Mari seems pretty damn shocked.

22. Theowne says:

There are many interpretations, but only one is consistent with what happens at the end

#1 – Mari was not interacting with Yuuki at the end (if he was fine, why didn’t she respond to him in any way?)

#2 – They are leaving the hospital (if the bad news was he was in a coma or something, they would remain there)

#3 – They had a scene where Mirai wakes up from a dream twice (No self respecting director would pull the “he died oh wait he didn’t” stunt twice)

And now that this is the case, I don’t know what to think of this series. This is not what I expected at all, and feels like just a “let’s throw in a plot twist” moment.

23. Theowne says:

Here are the final episode titles
    9 今日、さよなら – “Today, goodbye”
    10 おねえちゃん、あのね – “Sis, you know..” (How Yuuki would address Mirai)
    11 – 悠貴へ… – “To Yuuki”

Unfortunately I think this seals Yuuki’s death. Clearly the final episode is centered to some extent around Yuuki, and he may be the largest emotional presence. Which makes complete sense with the idea of the family reuniting and bidding farewell to Yuuki.

*sigh*

24. Nick says:

I was about to drop this series after the whole robot incident last episode. After the first Death dream i was like ” No way they’re gonna the kid”.
    But then after the second death scene, I realised. Damn. Huge points for the guts to kill off the only source of optimism in this show. Will download the next asap!!

25. evolstar says:

Oh my God, at first I was confused. That second death scene felt so real and when they showed Yuuki after she woke up, I was confused. I didn’t think of Mirai hallucinating him.

Another piece of evidence that Yuuki is dead is when Mari has a breakdown at the end and apologises twice to Mirai. She is clearly apologising and crying because of Yuuki’s death. Also, just look at Mari’s face after Mirai says that he looks fine and how she’ll look after him. They spent a lot of time on Mari after Mirai ran off after “yuuki”. She had such a sad expression as she looked down at her boots; the emotion there was so powerful. Awesome episode.

26. cc says:

Oh snap. Now that I read all the comments, I watched the show again and I’m sobbing now. Sniff.

27. Polaryzed says:

Don’t forget the other big clue that Yuuki is dead. All along in the episode the kept showing people that were complaining about not being looked at by the hospital staff. If Yuuki’s condition were so easy to fix that all he needed was some IV fluids, then I doubt that they’d be ready to leave already. There were MANY other people waiting to be seen with real injuries and a simple case of dehydration would have been put on hold for more critical care patients. Basically they’d still be waiting to be looked at. Otherwise the director wouldn’t have had at least 2-3 scenes with complaining patients. The only plausible reason is because Yuuki is in fact dead and they have no reason to stay any longer.

For the record I was completely fooled as well. I let my optimism get the better of me and went along with the whole ‘never-kill-main-characters-or-kids’ concept. Now that all these clues point to him being dead, it just makes this episode absolutely amazing. A++

28. Echo says:

I was fooled as well, and after the ep I felt that it was a pretty uneventful episode, but I was wondering why Mirai looked so terribly depressed……then I read these comments. It makes the episode so much more powerful….though I’m kinda sad that I didn’t let the show hit me hard with the realization instead.

29. m says:

The way that Mirai’s perspective changes in the previous episode culminating in a resolution to be a better daughter and to engage Yuuki’s plans, and then the overcompensation toward Yuuki after she awakens from her ‘dream,’ and finally the firm insistence that she would look after her brother when Mari begins to talk about him fit a pattern. The epiphany that Mirai had in the previous episode creates closure between the siblings and establishes a common dream that will be tragically realized in the end of the show by the surviving family members in Yuuki’s memory. The exaggerated mothering after Mirai awakens reflects her guilt, and her insistence that she will watch over Yuuki and the way that she tries to downplay what has happened and focus on Mari’s problems establish her denial. The events push the conflict from between the characters to Mirai with herself, and the resolution of that conflict will come when Mari finally forces Mirai to acknowledge that Yuuki is gone. I imagine that will result in angry denial, perhaps with Mirai exploiting something she learns about Mari’s situation to strike out at her, followed by some kind of acceptance and an apology.

You can look at all of the bits of evidence that support the idea that Yuuki didn’t make it, but I think even the mile-high view fits the cookie cutter.

I was surprised by this turn of events. I expected Mari’s family to have been dead all along, because her behavior after the earthquake didn’t look much like something someone with a young child whose welfare is unknown would engage in. I always expected a bittersweet ending, but I thought it would be kept at a distance like most of the tragedy in the show.

30. wackedfoo says:

i was completely fooled by this episode. now that i think about it, i wasn’t really paying attention when the news talked about sangenjaya and i just assumed mari was depressed about that the whole time.

31. meow says:

Went ahead and saw 8 anyway. Didn’t want to be mulling over this all week til the next episode. Yea..pretty sure Yuki is dead. Damn. They should change the op and ed now. It’s just too upbeat, especially the ed. I got the impression that this would be a story with a happy ending in the midst of tragedy – with the three bearing witness rather than being direct victims of it. On a side note, it’s weird that the newscast excerpt at the end specifically mentions someone’s daughter going missing. It seemed like the newscaster was talking about Mari, which felt so unreal.

32. Larien says:

I knew right away that Yuuki had really died, and that the second “dream” was in fact reality. It’s what makes this show that much more real – in the event of a real earthquake of this size, this is the kind of thing that would happen. Life doesn’t always have happy endings waiting for us, sometimes those nightmares come true.

For example, when I was 11 years old and it was suspected by my doctor that I had cancer, mine and my parents’ initial thought was that it was, and it would be horrible – it’s natural to feel afraid like that and expect the worst. And we were right, it was cancer, and it was horrible. Things don’t always end okay.

This show is amazing, but I am so sad now!

33. Theowne says:

I don’t know that it makes it quite real. The amount of casualties is fairly small for the population, so there is an overwhelmingly high chance, technically speaking, that the main chars should be alright, particularly since they escaped unscathed from the original tremors.

I thought the whole escaping Tokyo Tower debris was a misstep with forced drama back when it happened. If I had known it would lead to this, it would have been even worse.

What bugs me the most is the hallucination at the end. That is simple anime exaggeration, and doesn’t happen in real life. Which is okay, since it’s an anime, but I dunno, at the beginning I thought that this anime was aiming for something different.

34. tealovertoma says:

@ meow:

The ED song actually reminds me of the OP song of Natsu no Sora, another anime that pulled off tragedy fairly realistic and hit me *really* hard.

35. meow says:

@tealovertoma

I didn’t see the end of natsu no sora cos I wasn’t able to find episode 10. Last I saw was something about the elder teacher doing something to Sora in a room and the boyfriend catching sight of it and going depressed. I’ll go look it up somewhere. Usually Someday’s Dreamers stories are quite heartwarming stories though.

@Larien – I hope everything is okay with u and wish you the best.

36. AlexS says:

#33 @Theowne

Well, I’m not really sure if it’s really an hallucination, but rather the way of expression in anime of the denial that often happens when someone close to you dies. Teens are prone to a strong denial phase, and in the context of an earthquake, where you have the pressing need to mind of your survival and of those around you, denial will be even stronger.

So I don’t think she is totally unaware of Yuuki’s death, but rather that she’s strongly blocking this fact from her consciousness. In this booklet there are some examples of behaviors that come close to that.

Actually, strong denial of death can result in pretty bizarre situations.

Anyways, psgel’s will have some hard time not to spoil things for the folks who were fooled, when he comments the next episodes.

37. meow says:

Haha psgel’s comments lately in the threads that I follow are almost an episode summary so it doesn’t make a difference. XD I’m actually kinda grateful. I’m usually pretty sensitive to this sort of thing…especially something that blindsides me. Watching Mirai now is only going to be more painful. There were hints from the previous episodes but I honestly didn’t think they’d go this far so I’m glad the shock got softened by the stuff I read here.

About Mirai’s hallucinations, I think it makes alot of sense for Mirai’s mind to create this fantasy to soften the blow she’s taken – considering all the shocks she’s been taking since the whole earthquake started. I wonder if she might even blame herself for the earthquake; she’s the one who wished for the world to break in the first place. The last thing she would want would be to lose her kid brother to it. A part of the reason that the usually self-centered Mirai losing all sense of self preservation to save him might be her sense of responsibility for their predicament. And in the end, she fails. To face that head on, plus adding in her exhaustion, her worries about her parents, while still reeling from the end of her world, right down to her school…it’s either this or to sit in a corner in mental lockdown.

I thought it was a nice touch how every time Mirai sees Mari’s worried face, she mistakes it for Mari worrying about her daughter and tries to cheer her up, when in fact it’s Mari worrying about Mirai’s confused state.

For me, stories like this and Natsu no Sora (yep, found some summaries of the ending) are great to watch once but I think I’d never touch it again afterwards. It’s just too sad.

38. Julian says:

Sorry Psgels for posting “that” comment, I wasn’t really sure until I read all the comments here….to the topic, I think anyone can conclude that Yuki DID die…

39. Firechick says:

I thought this episode was quite good. And I actually kinda like the OP.

40. watashi says:

I totally missed that Yuuki would have died. I can’t believe before I see the next episode. It would be such a surprise. Now I am a little confused. By the way, I also think the opening is a great one.

41. Alex says:

Yuuki is in fact dead. I knwo this for sure because when Mari did not find Mirai in her blanket, she called only for Mirai and not Yuuki. If you look at the past episodes, then you will find Mari calling for both. Why would Mari only call for Mirai? Its because she knows Yuuki is not able to be found. And the Mari’s tears were the biggest hint. Mirai is talking about how worried Mari must be about her daughter and tries to comfort her, when Mari hears those words and knows that she is being comforted after such a loss, its painful. Its hard to see a person in denial…

42. Perrin4869 says:

This anime is on its way to becoming an instant classic

43. Theowne says:

@AlexS 36

I realize that traumatic grief can result in denial, but I don’t think that extended multisensory hallucinations occur except in the most mentally unstable of people. Here it is just anime exaggeration.

And of course, as I said, anime is anime, and doesn’t have to be like real life. In fact, I’d even say this is a pretty good way of showing Mirai’s state of denial, and is quite sad. But I just got this notion that this series was trying to be a bit more realistic with its handling of being a “disaster flick” and so seeing it go into cliche territory is a bit disheartening, for me at least.

44. Forwho says:

@ Theowne

The reason why I felt that Yuuki might be dead while watching that episode and for the whole time, desperately wishing that Mari and Yuuki would have some exchange at least so to show that Yuuki isn’t dead is because of a movie I watched earlier this year. It’s called The Uninvited. I’m sorry if I spoiled this movie for anyone, but the case inside this is very similar to Mirai is behaving now, because the main character has been interacting with her dead sister so well that everyone was fooled. So I don’t think it’s just an anime exaggeration. I think it’s in every way possible for such things to happen, especially with Mirai and what she has been going through since the earthquake.

It was my gut feeling that pushed me to pick up this show and I’m so loving every single episode of it–yes, even the robots one which I don’t get what’s the hate about. lol. I hope this show gets more love!

And goodness, I agree with the person who said that the OP and especially the ED because they really fooled me that this will all end happily. :/

45. Theowne says:

Okay, it may not be strictly anime exaggeration, but it is still exaggeration and unrealistic. Bringing up a comparison with a movie you watched is not really a good counter…..=P….Even with just a minimal dabbing in psychology, I know that extended multisensory hallucinations like what Mirai is apparently having is utter nonsense and does not happen to real life except for people who are, excuse the term, nutcases with complex history with mental issues. Grief, particularly sibling grief, manifests in many complex ways but this is just exaggerated.

Now to reiterate, I don’t have a problem with anime going over the line, but let’s not say it’s realistic.

46. Meep says:

Excellent run-down of the hints that reveal Yuuki’s death.

47. Lala says:

I also think Yuki is dead. I didn’t want to admit it, but yeah, I think it’s true. I started crying when I found out. I suppose that’s what the paperwork was for, and it explains why Mari was looking like that.

Good grief, these creators have guts. A lot of guts. I’m really upset about it right now…

48. AlexS says:

@ Theowne

You misunderstand. I’m not saying that she’s having a multisensory hallucination. I don’t think she’s having a hallucinations at all. I just think that she’s blocking Yuuki’s death, which is very different.

The anime is clearly showing things from the subjective point of view of Mirai (already with the first death scene), and is just continuing to do it. Yuuki is represented because Mirai does not want to acknowledge his death, but it does not mean that she’s hallucinating him.

And it’s not the first time this anime takes subjective points of view (Mari’s nightmare is another one). It’s ok with me, since people’s point of view on reality are also part of the experience of an event, since they condition real world behaviors.

49. Frog Baseball Team says:

YUUKI IS DEAD! HE’S NO LONGER HERE…

BUT… ON MY BACK AND IN MY HEART, HE LIVES ON AS A PART OF ME!

50. shit says:

i think Yuuki died…i don’t know why i just feel it …i am very confused right now. he was not carrying his bag. he was not beside Mirai when she woke up, his bag was there. Mari kinda hinted that he died when she said “about Yuuki…i would tell your parents…” or something like that. Mari is not holding any of their hands. I AM VERY CONFUSED

51. anonymous says:

LOL! Right now he is equal to Schroedinger’s cat.

52. Patrick says:

I was fooled as well, but now that I know he is dead they would better use this well in next episodes. Because to me it felt more like: hey let’s kill the kid because we don’t have enough story to make 11 episodes. He was perfectly well and then he dies like that, quite a bit cheesy to me.

53. Perrin4869 says:

Only that the uncertainty that he’s dead is definitely lower than the uncertainty that he’s alive… If I understand the uncertainty principle correctly, that is.

54. Anon says:

NEVER FORGET!

55. anonymous says:

Dead or Alive!?!

A real spoiler please!

56. AnonRage says:

@56

FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

57. tealovertoma says:

09 was a nice episode and confirmed it. “Crush syndrome” is what they’re calling it.

58. Firechick says:

Why is it that everyone around me thinks that Yuuki is dead? I don’t think this show would pull off a Kanon-like ending. This show’s supposed to be realistic without any spiritual elements or supernatural elements at all. Besides, if this show really had the guts to kill off Yuuki, they would either be saving it for the final episode or show something where Mirai asks about Yuuki but Mari either refuses to answer to say that she doesn’t know what she’s talking about.

59. POS says:

@Firechick

It’s a real psychological disorder where a person cannot cope with stress, stemming from a great loss. The person imagines that what he/she has lost to be there. It’s all mirai’s imagination/hallucination. Nothing supernatural involved.

@tealovertoma

Yeap, Yuuki died from Crush Syndrome. They should have sent him to a doctor even though it looked like he emerged from the building collapse scratchless.

60. teddybear says:

if… if yuuki died from ‘crush syndrome’ as others says, does that mean he was sick since the time he was trapped in the shopping centre?

Poor yuuki… why’d he have to die… ;__;

61. tazman0208 says:

Well I see people saying that Yuuki died from crush syndrome. That is not the case, Yuuki died from cerebral bleeding after the conccusion he got when the Tokyo tower collapsed and he was hit in the head while saving his sister.
    if you look at the symptoms you will see that Yuuki had most of them, delayed loss of conciousness, vomiting, loss of memory ect… Just wanted to make that clear.

62. tazman0208 says:

Edit: as opposed to crush syndrome that has the following symptoms:
    Compression in excess of 60 minutes
    Involvement of a large muscle mass
    Absent pulse and capillary refill return to distal limb
    Pale, clammy, cool skin
     Weak, rapid pulse
     Usually absence of pain in affected region
     Onset of shock

Well after rewatching the 2nd episode again, it didnt look to me that Yuuki was crushed at all since that girl was protecting him when the shelf fell over them.

63. TokyoMag8.0 says:

Yuuki also doesn’t like to tell people if hes ill or tired

Eh simul-dub of Juuni taisen is out, I might aswell keep up with that instead.
Y'know I had this weird relationship with dragonball in general. When I was younger I never actively seeked out the show, but on a rare occasion I would watch random episodes whenever I was channel hopping and nothing else was on.
@Amagi: Clamp shared universe was a mistake.
I really really wish that that tone breaking style of comedy stops being a thing.
It doesn't happen often, but there ARE shows we all have that snap trigger us when they get mentioned.
I feel my disdain of re:zero is because I hate Akame ga kill and Higurashi so much and it prevents me because of bias from enjoying it.
@Aidan: In addition to what i posted about Pandora, you will hate the comedy.
@Mario: I will rewatch it, the first one is one of those things that improved on repeat viewings.
@Travlos: Conspiracy theories are one of those things I find myself taking interest in, then almost immediately consider immensely stupid and a waste of time.
Aidan: If you didn't like the first parts of Pandora you won't like the rest either. Most people that loved it did this because of the characters and setting, the story isn't really getting better and I kinda disliked what they did near the end. It was overcomplicated and everyone had like three different personalities, plot twists and so on. Not nearly as bad as Tsubasa Chronicle though
@Bokusenou, believe me when I say you are not few. There are plenty who Dislike Re:Zero. I can understand it and I sort of get where your coming from regarding the characters. (Though Saber sucks) There is just something about the series that I just adore.
@Kaiser. I have not watched most of them. But I have watched Z and All the President's Men. Both are great films. The issue with me is that while I like political thrillers I despite conspiracy theories. Far too many pol. thrillers dive into con.theory stuff. So I must be discriminating.
Okay, I'm off to watch Blade Runner 2049 now. Hopefully it can be as good as the original
In contrast World's End Harem, surprisingly looks to be trying. It has one story trying to play straight, the scenario of being the last man in a world mainly habited by woman. And has had this framing of self worth, temptation and doubt I like. No work of art, but surprising for this type of manga.
In regards to manga, I'll need to look for something good, being losing time with ecchi stuff. Which I can tell Okamoto should just make hentai, seeing as his latest work, doesn't even try to be anymore than pandering trash (at least older work, had a notion of a story).
@Travlos: Did all the presidents men and Parallax view by Pakula appeal to you?
@Travlos: Actually as your are a Greek....have you watched Z, missing, State of siege or the confession? None of them are actually in Greek but they were political thrillers directed by Costa Gravas.
KT here: Well I am a sucker for political thrillers and "grand" politics, so the direction it took is quite fun for me. Even if it does indicate a Tomino ending.
For me Titan peaked at volume 8 and I never bothered continuing on much further.
@Aidan: I remember a commenters on here a good while ago that mentioned the ending didn't satisfy or come together well and made the investment not worth it.
@Aidan: Honestly it was only near the halfway point I vested any interest in pandora hearts, the first 4 volumes left me wondering if I'd drop it, then near the last few volumes I simply fell out of reading it.
Bokusenou
I feel like I'm one of the few people who don't understand why Re: Zero is so popular...the only characters I half liked were Puck & Crusch (the latter because she reminded me of Saber from the Fate series, minus the unnecessary perma-blush marks) My anime club screened the series and I really should have skipped those meetings...
Mmm Inuyashiki episode 2 tomorrow. Time to see where it goes
@Anon, That reminds me. Anime limited better announce the date of the Re:Zero Blu-ray release at that panel of theirs at MCM London Comic Con. They are the only ones known to have licensed it and they have a partnership with Funimation. Even if we don't get a second season I have to get the first on Blu-ray.
Emilia re:zero
Finally Got that review up. Been sitting in my to do list for a while.
I remeber in Dragon ball, they state that Son Goku takes 6 years of training to become a Super Saiyan. His oldest son takes 3 years and then the youngest one... only takes 3 months of training with his mother. So yeah...
While we are talking about manga, I was looking into getting some manga boxsets and I saw one for pandora hearts. However I started reading it and 15 chapters in I just can't get into it. I hear a lot of praise for it but is it really worth continuing?
@Amagi, yep. Like Naruto with the nine tailed beasts and Sharingan. At first they were cool and then everyone and their mother had Sharingan or a tailed Beast.
Though If I had a problem with SNK its that I just find the thing to be poorly written overall. It has creative idea's, but the characters and dialogue is really weak in my eyes.
You know that SuperSaiyan syndrome. At first it was special and mysterious, but once the second one gets to have the power they tend to pop up everywhere. Same with Claymore and basically almost every shounen ever.
I overall like the SNK manga but I have to agree I really have a problem with this shounen trope of some speciality one character has that suddently turn out to be the speciality of many.
It turned from a horror/thriller to a sort of... shounen mystery thing for me. I wasnt a fan once EVERYONE became titans.
@Lenlo, I dropped off at that point, picked it up again and read it up to date. Now I am falling out again. True be told I haven't really got into it since the beginning chapters and I am not a fan of the direction it took. If you don't like it now I say future chapters won't really change your mind.
Does Attack on Titan get better? I was reading it up until Season 2 came out and then just fell off the wagon.
oh what a cliffhanger in the Shingeki no Koyjin manga! I am happy where this is going!
I agree that the way the series addresses emotion has some interest to it.
The later chapters I read had some action in them.
Had a read of the children of the wales manga, I am glad to see a shoujo that isn't based on an otome or school life series , additionally I like it on an aesthetic level, I can see it going somewhere but the fast-forward pace makes it hakes it harder to connect with.
@Amagi: Blame! was recently adapted and thats cyberpunk, even if it didn't follow the manga.
@Kaiser: Agree. Cyber- and steampunk are two of the few settings I really dig. Especially because I think that there are a lot of potential plots and twists for cyberpunk/VR settings anime haven't used yet. AR is great too, the only series about that is Dennou Coil and it was made ~10 years ago. Maybe the SAO movie but it was just a movie.
@Aidan: Same here lol. I remember the toilet thingy but not the woman's backstory. That being said, I enjoyed the series as whole, though some parts were too K-ONish for my taste.
The idea of would agorophobia maintain itself and they'd stay inside or would the fear of being raped/tortured/killed and bypass the agorophobia ?
Random tangent, but I would find it fascinating to see a hikkikomori subject to a home invasion.
Although honestly, I would prefer a cyberpunk wave of anime series to get popular again.
silver
I too am starting to really enjoy the 'adventure anime' genre. The medium of animation is uniquely suited to fantastical worldbuilding.
@Mario, Was that the one where the girl is desperately trying not to piss herself? Also why can I remember that and not this blonde woman's backstory?
@Kaiser: yep, agreed. It's at its best when it can use the settings to flesh out the characters. The episode after that one, one the other hand, was Sora no woto's dullest episode - where the main girl spends the whole episode waiting for a freaking phone call.
@Mario: The Blonde woman's backstory in the middle of sora no oto, that was the best episode of it.
@Amagi: for reccomendation, if you don't mind another cute girls in a post-apocalyptic world show, you can try Sora no Woto (Sound of the sky). I love that show to bits
But I'm not entirely sold on the show yet. I feel the relationships are a tad too heavy-handed. The light hearted tones don't work well for me but I really feel a From the New world's vibe from the show
@Amagi: I will talk about Children of the Whales here in the chatbox since we don't cover it. Damnit the cliffhanger. That series really focuses on the theme of repress their own feelings. From the children in the Mud Whales with their custom of not to cry in the funeral or their lacing their hands to express their gratitude. Episode 2 has that monster who basically eats others emotions
And by extension, I would hope that it would encourage adaptations of older fantasy manga aswell.
I really hope this type of fantasy will become a new trend instead of the classical world of warcraft type of isekai
There is just something really atmospherical about a few characters exploring an unknown world alone that is either almost or entirely devoid of humans or just weird like in Kino's Journey.
Shuumatsu Shoujou, Houseki, Kino 2017 and Children of the Whales are shaping up to become my favorites this season. It's funny that they have so much in common, same with Made in Abyss, which also was my favorite of the last season.
@Kaiser, well there were fellows down in cork that decided to go Kite Surfing. They had to send out a boat to rescue the dumb bastards.
@Aidan: I saw that there were some profoundly stupid people ignoring the warnings, some guy even decided to go out swimming despite it.
I am in some ways both relieved and disappointed.
Well I got the day off work and the only thing that happened was that it was a bit windy. Wasn't really a big deal to be honest.
Whats the word on your end Aidan with regards to the Hurricane?
And of course raging bull, a rare case where I watched a film twice.
Y'know I've always, apart from Creed, ignored the Rocky sequels despite enjoying the first one, not really into watching a billion followups to a film. Films about fighters seem to connect with me, I got alot out of warrior, southpaw and Rocky.
I was surprised by how well Ancient Magus Bride was able to sell to me the naturalness of Elia's skull head, and the falseness of his conjured human head. Well done.
I do love a good boxing anime. Both Ashita no Joe and Hajime no Ippo are great, though for different reasons.
Simply put, unlike Hajime no Ippo. Ashita no Joe, also was mainly about Joe, living in a poor rural town, struggling to make a living, and boxing came out as something that gave him meaning. Instead of the typical shounen of "becoming the best".
I think it's bold when someone announced they want to make something like "the next Rocky". Since that's apparently what I get from this announcement. https://manga.tokyo/news/original-anime-megalo-box-inspired-by-ashita-no-joe-announced-for-spring-2018/
CJayTiii
Just watched Heaven's Feel Part 1 at the movie theater last night. DEAR LORD the animation was flawless. I honestly thought they nailed the calmer scenes a lot better than UBW as well. The wait for part 2 is gonna be brutal...
Isekai isn't even bad, it's just that it became the worst case of formularic wish fulfillment masturbation nowadays. I actually wish we would get more proper isekai anime again, especially if it's some scifi or time travel stuff for once
You know thinking about it, Muv Luv Alternative could be considered a deconstruction of Isekai before Isekai was even a thing. After all it actually has the elements of of Isekai.
Gonna do up a review of the trilogy. Though first I need to post that Subahibi review I have had sitting in my Google docs. Twas waiting till we got the impressions done with.
@Amagi, I remember checking out Muv Luv and not being too impressed about it. When i cheeked out Alternative years ago I was blown away by how good it was. Usually VNs have moments of downtime where it can get boring no matter how good they are. But Alternative just had you from start to finish.
@Aidan: Muv Luv Alt is one of the best VNs I've read. I am happy I always avoided spoilers before. The only thing I knew was that it gets heavy around chapter 6 or 7.
@Mario: Thanks for letting me know before I bothered booking for it.
@Kaiser: the plot doesn't make sense. As the story progresses, it gets weirder, the visual goes wilder and the ending doesn't wrap up much. I might need to watch the live-action version
@Mario: See you rated fireworks 3 1/2, what did you think of it?
@Aidan: I suppose, same to you, hopefully you'll be alright.
@Anon: It was designed by Marta Akermann : https://friendist.deviantart.com/
Can I get where the banner is from?
I know there were 18 deaths back in the mid eighties when a storm struck here back then.
Seems that it will be at its worst in the west, that said I'm living in Dublin in the east so I'll probably get away with a power cut for a while. Thankfully I'm not back in work until Thursday and I won't be going anywhere tomorrow.
Also Careful Kaiser, I hear we got a hurricane heading our way tomorrow.
@Kaiser, Can't say I do. I got into anime around the time it was getting put on the internet. And I only started buying anime when I got a job. Now I got a whole bookcase of Blu-rays.
@Aidan: Remember back in the 90s when we didn't have all region dvd players and everything got released on region 1?
@Kaiser, I checked though. Seems the screenings are strictly US for Heavens Feel. Sort of like how Grand Order isn't released for Europe either. Also took goddamn ages to get the Blu-Rays of UBW too. Aniplex just seems to hate us for some reason.
Dublin city university has/had an anime club.
These are all one time only things though.
@Aidan: Eh....on rare occasions the Eye cinema in Galway and the Lighthouse in Dublin do screenings . Eiretakon has re-formed as J-con in Dublin and they do screenings.
Playing Muv Luv Alternative and I just made it pass a certain infamous scene. Honestly...I thought seeing as I knew it was coming that it wouldn't hit that hard. But even after all these years...it still gives me chills.
@Amagi, Could be worse. There are no screenings in Ireland so the wait is a hell of a lot longer for me.
I'll likely be checking out Lu over the wall in early December.
I am really looking forward to that new movie from the Tekkonkinkreet guy and Heaven's Feel but both screenings only happen in February so this will sadly still take a while.
Aah, I just missed the only screening of In the Corner of the World at my local cinema (it comes as part of a film festival, guess I will watch the pirated version then). Thankfully they screened Firework anime so I'm going to watch it. Now
I intend to still give Dies Irea another chance. don't know if it's worth it thou
Maybe those kidscheated half of the way because no one can WALK faster than me :)
The animation continues to be quite poor and its only getting 15 episodes.
Though I could definitely have seen my German Ex offended by it.
Y'know I never even cared enough to think that people would be this offended by Dies Irae, it would be like being offended by the Naziploitation elements in hellsing . I find both far too silly to be in anyway offensive.
But in all seriousness, good that you keep up the exercise. I walk pretty much everywhere.
@Mario: Little fiends likely taking performance enhancing drugs, know to poison them next beforehand =P
Still finished in a first half but 35 minutes for 5km is something I wasn't to proud of. Damnit.
Well, just finished a running event. The race was just 5 kilometer so I was aiming to run all the way. Ended up walking 1/3 of the way and lose to some 12 year old kids... I'm getting old, really!
@Anon, That was a stupid move on their part. Still I prefer to judge a game based on the quality of the product and not outside circumstances.
yooka laylee is okay but i hate it because they removed jontrons voice
new Altair OP is better than old Altair OP. But old ED is better than new. Man I really am sad Altair cannot have the 100_ episodes of LOGH. Because of that they really have to rush the story to make the politics work, but at same time rushing it undermines the story integrity. Which is a pity. I really think if Altair had the LOGH treatment, it would be a stupendous tale of politics.
I got that with Yooka Laylee which I thought was a decent fun game. However the internet has determined it to be a flaming trash pile of a game. I even have a friend who never played the game but bashes it purely because it's so hated.
While I understand the point, and have indeed watched stuff both psgel and the current writers have not given a high score too, generally speaking our tastes are complimentary. In a world of scarce time and quite a lot of stress over things like work or relationships, I will take the cognitive short-cuts I can for my hobbies, and FOMO be damned! :)
That may actually be quite the common occurrence as internet opinion tends to veer to extremely positive or extremely negative. Something can't simply be good, it most be amazing. Somehting can't be passable either, it has to be garbage.
@Anon, I agree with that. In truth you can only really judge something when you have seen it yourself. I will even admit that mine and likely the others reviews of Imouto are a bit of Hyperbole. It's really not the most terrible thing I have ever seen. Actually I would say Dynamic cord was worse.
(i already found some nice things i would have neglected otherwise or deemed worthless based on reviews/seasonal previews etc)
So i concluded that even if those people were writing good reviews and had somewhat compatible tastes with me, were nice and intelligent people overall in the end it did not mattered that much. while others' opinions are helpful, my own taste is the only thing i can really trust. so watching everything it is
I used to chose my shows based on reviews from people i trust, this site included, but then i just started trying out everything and - shocking, i know - suddenly i liked things others did not. or vice versa, which were a possibility even before.
Thats why I only really watch/checked out things that piqued my interest. Was gonna do it anyways, so why not write about i
SuperWooper
Comprehensive sampling does have its benefits, though. Animegataris is a show I wouldn't have touched on my own, but it was quite watchable.
SuperWooper
@Kaiser, I agree that only the better-looking shows need to be previewed, but being a new recruit, I can't exactly influence the long-standing Star Crossed policy of giving everything a shot.
@anon1477190: that moment you mentioned about Kino losing her cool was good, but then they followed up on the obvious exposition about the couple which I felt was heavy-handed.
I bring that up mainly because I don't want to see any of the writers getting burned out/demotivated/having their time wasted.
Guys it must be incredibly time consuming to watch some of these obviously from the outset bottom of the barrel shows you know will be awful and you'll never cover, I doubt anyone would have complained if you didn't mention Imouto Ireba.
The ending was good, but leading up to it was sort of dull
Agreed on how Kino felt this week. What really got me though was how she held the gun. That bugged me in those pov shots
Eh, I'm not keen to go over old material, I'll just watch the new Kino stories.
@Mario: I get claustrophobic sometimes, so Haze by Tsukamoto Shinya was fucking un-comfortable =P
@Mario: Ganja and hess, Die Farbe, Texas chainsaw 2, shop of horrors and AM 1200 stood out best.
*I will admit that I enjoyed the ending bit a little more though. Something about Kino throwing that big rock was moving somehow, especially with how stoic she normally is, haha.
I was a bit disappointed by Kino this week. I actually enjoyed the original Colosseum, but more for some of the individual fights rather than the conflict with the main antagonist. So the speed with which they went through them wasn't my favorite thing.
@Kaiser: haha, sounds fun. Any good horror worth reccomending?
Tried doing that horror 30 horror movies in Autumn challenge thing, fun times but bloody exhausting.
I will finally be getting on to magus bride SOON.
Just try not to compare any of his works to yi yi and you'll be fine. Pity we lost him too soon.
I'm meaning to watch Terrorizers for quite a while now. You beat me to it again. So it's that good huh??
@Mario: I did end up re-watching terrorizers and finishing it this time, never ever have I bee so wrong to initially under-estimate a director or film, the second half massively improves the film and comes together perfectly.
@Mario: ...conditions are very hard to get right on screen, it almost ends up being horribly sappy. This is why when I saw Moon-so-ri's performance in Oasis I was so surprised by how excellent she depicted her characters disability, to where if I didn't know better I'd have sworn it was for real.
@Kaiser: and sometimes they take an "artistic liberty" to change the real stories to make it more dramatic. Case in point, I was so moved by A Beautiful Mind until I read it that the main guy doesn't have those issues in real life. Felt deeply manipulated
@Mario: Largely due to and not helped by the fact most biopics are over two hours long.
@Kaiser: glad you enjoyed Loving Vincent. I'm a bit worried about its story to be honest since it's a biopic and sometimes biopic can be so dry like a powerpoint presentation about someone's life
WE DEMAND THE 20 MINUTES BACK
Stupid imouto anime....bullying Aidan and Mario.
*their
Why must all artistic/creative be so out of there minds =<
@Mario: I saw Loving Vincent, I knew very little about the man himself before seeing, but this did an alright job of introducing the viewer to who he was, the voice acting/script is slightly stilted but in the end it works as a vehicle to get from one nicely rendered/animated scene to the next and its worth looking at for 90 minutes .
@Puran: that story from Kino was one of my least favorite from 2003 version. This week they changed quite a bit of details, most notably they speed through the gladiator fights. The result... well... average for me
That book seems to have a tv show adaptation.
I actually have been meaning to read Jonathan Strange an Mr.Norrel.. Might put it next on my reading list.
Puran
(and, I thought the old one handled the story much better...)
Puran
New Kino ep was a remake of a story in the old anime... It's really not helping me in trying to avoid comparing the two series.
SuperWooper
@KTravlos, you like Jonathan Strange? Good taste, my man.
I watched the Ancient Magus Bride OVA after your suggestions. It was very nice. A mix of Howl's Moving Castle and Jonathan Strange an Mr.Norrel. I will definitely follow this series. Thank you.
@Mario: lol I go once a week if I can.

Juuni Taisen – 03 [Cutting a Chicken with a Beef Cleaver]

I’m starting to worry about Juuni Taisen. Like what we all predicted last week, this week indeed follows a reverse zodiac order. We have Chicken served as our main POV and at the end she’s the one who get sendoff (with no small help from the episode title. What a huge spoiler). Judge by the […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 15[Differing Paths]

It’s funny that only now, when we are well into the halfway point of the series that it takes some time to flesh out its cast. Sisgou has gotten some backstory, Fiore was fleshed out a little and even Gordes got some time to prove he’s not a complete caricature. The last one is something […]

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World- – 02[Colosseum]

In an odd turn of events, the second episode of Kino’s Journey 2017 is a retelling of a story done in the original 2003 version. Where Kino is forced to participate in deathmatches upon reaching a country. I find this choice odd as I would consider the Colosseum story in the original to be the […]

Dies Irae – 02[Twilight Girl]

There may be those of you who ask why I would cover this series despite it’s rather disastrous prequel episode. Even I will not be attempting to defend this adaption as I sorely believe it will be rather poor indeed. But when you truly think about it, isn’t it the case that I would be […]

Houseki no Kuni – 02 [Diamond]

Note: due to the fact that the whole cast of Houseki is agender and I DO care about the issue, I will address them either by their name or by gender neutral pronoun. But do forgive me if sometimes the old habit gets the better of me. You readers, on the other hand, can address […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 2 [One Today is Worth Two Tomorrows]

Welcome to the Fall Season everyone! Let me introduce you to Mahoutsukai no Yome, a piece about a young woman made a Magus’s apprentice and future bride. The first week introduced us to our main characters and some basics of the world. This week sets up our first arc, gives us more information about the […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 14[Prayer of Salvation]

An action focused episode and as such I have very little I can say about it. Considering that Avicebron was more about brains than brawn it’s rather odd to see him get taken down like this. In a way I find this to be a big heel turn for him as I originally took him […]

Girls’ Last Tour – 02 [Bath – Journal – Laundry]

Here’s for the most comfort food of this season. One thing you will notice when watching this show: despite its dark, post-apocalyptic settings, Girls’ Last Tour is a slice-of-life moe show at its heart. There will be no deep implication of the dark world, and those girls will not develop much by the end. But […]

Juuni Taisen – 02 [Tricks Both Mongrel and Fowl]

A Battle Royale anime is something that have been done numerous times before: Mirai Nikki, Btoom!!, last year’s Magical Girl Raising Project… It’s such a delicious meal that it’s hard not to have fun when players try to outsmart the others or think of a creative way to kill each other. Juuni Taisen so far […]

The Reflection Review – 45/100