Posted by psgels on 28 August 2009 with categories: Tokyo Magnitude 8.0

The past two episodes of this series made me think a lot about the nature of criticism. Especially after the previous episode, which I slammed down for having Yuki supposedly collapse for cheap drama, even though it’s not that weird for people to get sick in these situations. I also remember people who weren’t happy with that episode because it included robots. But yeah, then you have things as this: is it still unrealistic and unbelievable when it’s being used in real life?

I think that a lot of people (including myself; I’ve caught myself doing this plenty of times), whenever they are turned off they start looking for reasons why. These seeming logic flaws are then very easy targets for these criticisms. Ignoring the obvious cases in which a plot twist becomes so stupid or unbelievable that it destroys the entire suspension of disbelief, these things often aren’t the real reasons for these declines in quality, and in the case of very realistic shows as Tokyo Magnitude, you can see people who start blaming things that turn out to be perfectly normal.

In the end, the only thing that I can really criticize this series for is that I don’t like the OP. I’m one of those people who is too lazy to skip through OPs (aside from perhaps marathons), but at the same time I’ve never been a big fan of neither j-pop or j-rock, and Abington Boy’s School is no exception to this rule, and the song they used for this series’ OP is getting more and more on my nerves.

I think the thing with this series is that episodes 2-5 were utterly amazing, and the past episodes, instead of building up to a great climax at the end, instead went to go for a much quieter aftermath. It’s not exactly the same as Eden of the East, where it became clear along the way that the creators just took too much on their plate and badly paced the series after its initial episodes. With Tokyo Magnitude, I think it’s obvious that the past few episodes lacked the same emotional impact of the first five episodes. The question however is: does it need to be?

I’m getting more and more convinced that this show indeed doesn’t really need to be. I’ve become so used to anime, which nearly all have the general pattern of a build-up that gets increasingly full of tension, but here we have an entire subversion of this trope. During an earthquake, the biggest emotional shock comes right after it happens, and after that the tension, while it’s still there, fades as more and more people regain their sensibilities. The more I think about it, the more realistic it becomes.

Anyway, about this episode, aside from the total chaos in the hospital it was a very quiet one. Yuki turns out to be fine for now, while Mirai has visibly grown up while Mari becomes more and more worried as to what happened to her children. It’s a role reversal here: the reason Mirai managed to grow wasn’t just because she had to look after Yuki, but also because Mari, who started out as a mother figure, started to show more and more of her weaknesses. And that was the strength of episode six: its purpose wasn’t to insert some random illness, but instead show that Mari instead was just a human being, and at that point Mirai realized that her whining wasn’t going to help at all to solve the situation, especially since you can really see that she wants Mari to be reunited with her daughter.

As for the reason why Mari refused to take the scooter in episode: she might actually be running away. Take a look at this episode: instead of walking fast, like what I would do when I was worried about someone, she often walks way behind Mirai and Yuki. It’s as if she’s scared to find out that her daughter died.
Rating: ** (Excellent)
Edit: I rewatched this episode, based on your comments, and you’re right: they’ve given this episode a completely different meaning, and what I believed was a rather quiet episode has now become incredibly sad instead. I really have to give thumbs up for the creators for having the guts to go this far.
Rating: *** (Awesome)

1. anonymous says:

I think it was implied that Yuuki died. There are lots of hints that Mirai is just in denial.
    Watch closely Mari when Mirai speaks about him, or to him. She apologises about something, and does not speak or even look at Yuuki even once. Bag carrying is also good hint.

2. tealovertoma says:

I agree completely with anonymous. I’m 99% sure Yuuki’s dead. There’s a lot of hints and the general atmosphere has completely changed.

This episode deserves 3 stars as far as I’m concerned. For a moment I thought they were going to pull of “Yuuki’s dead oh no wait he isn’t, everything’s fine” twice, but it turns out he really did die. Easily the best choice IMO. Very touching, very nice.

3. tealovertoma says:

Just wanted to add something to that: the reason Mari walks so far behind “them” is because she’s giving Mirai some space to come to terms with things. She left a message for their parents that says Yuuki died. And when she’s trying to bring up the subject of Yuuki, Mirai quickly interrupts because she’s in denial.

I wonder when they’ll make Mirai realise it? Maybe Yuuki will suddenly be gone and Mirai tries to find him until Mari finally makes her realise it again? Or maybe they won’t reveal it until they see her parents and the parents go “I’m so sorry about Yuuki, Mirai”?

4. juu says:

when Yuki seemed alive after the death scene, I thought, that it’s an average episode, such a great death scene totally wasted… but then when I realized that he is more likely really dead, I felt very miserable…

I thing maybe Mari’s daugher will play a role in Mirai realizing the truth? Because surely Mirai would want to introduce him to her..?

5. terrorist says:

wow I have not thought in that way. If that’s the case, as toma said, creators have went with the best choice ^^ respectable.

6. Sywen says:

I also think Yuki is dead. because i don’t think the creators would spend half an episode on ‘just’ a dream to create some artificial drama and suspens. I give them more credit after what i saw so far in this show.

7. reverse says:

the probability that yuki already dead is high.
    at the end went the camera start panning out yuki is nowhere in sight.

8. wakka9ca says:

You said you don’t like the OP. But it’s the opposite for me… The lyrics of abingdon boys school’s song perfectly fits this series and describes the victims’ emotion after a disaster.

Here is the translation:

I am drawn into
    The smell of moist asphalt and rain
    Always scared and with clenched knees
    I watch the low clouds

The days when you were kind to me are almost gone
    When this crooked world
    Corrects itself
    I shall be by your side

Should my wish come true
    I’ll give you my all
    The only thing i want is your warmth
    Never let go of my hand

9. Forwho says:

I also have a creepy feeling that Yuuki indeed died. Seeing what other people have said about it makes a lot more sense to me. :(

10. AlexS says:

God, you people are paranoid. Yuuki is alive and kicking. Mirai is getting new information from her brother and Mari (why did they call both girls by almost the same name is beyond me), which would be uncommon if she was dreaming or whatever. And Mari would be quite spooked if Mirai spoke of her dead brother as if she was alive.

I also thought it was a bit cheap to pull the same trick twice, but it works, and it’s a nice and realistic way of making the audience feel the anguish of incertitude that people feel during catastrophes or accidents (will the patient survive or not?).

As for Mari, I agree that as she approaches her own residential area she is losing her calm, because confrontation to reality is more imminent. I was expecting that, but not via the news report, rather by seeing the destruction of the neighborhood. I’m moderately pessimistic about her case, since that would add quite some drama before finishing the anime with the siblings/parents reunion.

This episode was quite good, because the emotions rang true, even if it was a calm episode. What annoyed me in the last one was not that robots themselves are unrealistic, but that the boy’s story was so clumsy. The script writers were in better shape for this episode, although I think they should not have pulled the “Yuuki’s dead” trick twice.

11. foamer says:

Yeah all the clues were there, so sad T_T

12. anon says:

ten bucks says hes dead.

13. Frost says:

Ill be damned, at first I thought that maybe the real dream sequence was the one after Mirai wakes up, but then started to believe Yuuki is alive and was completely disappointed

But after reading the comments here it makes perfect sense… Mari doesnt talk to Yuuki a single time after that, and when she goes back to the place they were sleeping at, she just says “Mirai?”.. Why not “Mirai? Yuuki?” Because she knows Yuuki is indeed dead

Wow, what an awesome way of making a main character die, they even fooled me

+10 points for this show, I didnt even think they would actually kill off a main character

14. kode-dekka says:

Ok Yuuki is most definitely dead, there are all the above points but there is also another one you all missed that is unlike every other episode, he never says a word to Mari.

15. Nick says:

“We’re finished with all the legal work. Here are your documents”. Could it be Yuuki’s death certificate?

16. Frost says:

And heres another one someone pointed out on MAL, in the last shot where you see Mirai and other people walking around, theres no Yuuki… How is that possible? He was right in front of them ^^

That shot confirms 100% that he is dead and we saw the 2nd half of the episode through Mirai point of view only, which means she snapped and is hallucinating

17. daRAT says:

Yuuki is dead, notice after Mirai gets Yuuki from the soccer game Mari never talks to him or mentioned his name?

Also, Mari takes care of the “legal” paperwork at the hospital? Maybe just basic paperwork but I think it was a death certificate.

Mari’s initial assessment of Yuuki’s vital signs (really had me freaked here, being an ex-medic and all).

To many clues point to his death :(

18. Nick says:

I would be seriously pissed if Yuuki wasn’t dead. I mean all that emotional potential wasted??

19. AlexS says:

Oh well, you made me watch again the wake up scene, and you are indeed right, everything is compatible with the idea that Yuuki has become an imaginary friend.

Now I regret having watched the commentaries, it’s a bit like guessing too early things in “6th sense”, it spoils a bit the fun.

In any case, this of course changes the interpretation of Mari’s behavior, and it’s a nice shot from the part of the scriptwriters, I was completely fooled.

Suddenly I’m a lot more interested in this series ending!

20. meow says:

Hm…i haven’t seen 8 yet but I get the feeling I should skip this episode and wait for 9 to come out to see if there’s more information. If your impressions are right, this sounds like a mindf*ck episode, made doubly tragic by Yuuki’s passing and Mirai losing her grip on reality. Disturbing stuff. -.-; Well, it seems also possible that Yuuki might not be dead exactly but be in some kind of coma or other incapacitating condition that would put Mirai into such denial. I also think it’s odd that Mari and Mirai would leave the hospital so quickly if Yuuki were really dead. They might be in a hurry to find Yuuki’s parents and bring them to Yuuki quickly. The mention of documents also brings to mind the possibility that they have a new quest to find some expertise or materials Yuuki needs that aren’t available at the hospital because of the earthquake. Perhaps they have details of Yuuki’s condition that Mari must now deliver to some isolated specialist somewhere. Hm..I think I’m in denial now haha. Yep..i should wait for 9 or 10 for more info. XD I’m such a wimp…-.-

21. tealovertoma says:

Not completely impossible, but if you see the episode you’ll probably agree that it’s more likely he’s dead, because there’s a scene where Yuuki dies and it doesn’t feel like a dream scene or potential outcome. Also, they’re not hurrying when they’re leaving and Mari seems pretty damn shocked.

22. Theowne says:

There are many interpretations, but only one is consistent with what happens at the end

#1 – Mari was not interacting with Yuuki at the end (if he was fine, why didn’t she respond to him in any way?)

#2 – They are leaving the hospital (if the bad news was he was in a coma or something, they would remain there)

#3 – They had a scene where Mirai wakes up from a dream twice (No self respecting director would pull the “he died oh wait he didn’t” stunt twice)

And now that this is the case, I don’t know what to think of this series. This is not what I expected at all, and feels like just a “let’s throw in a plot twist” moment.

23. Theowne says:

Here are the final episode titles
    9 今日、さよなら – “Today, goodbye”
    10 おねえちゃん、あのね – “Sis, you know..” (How Yuuki would address Mirai)
    11 – 悠貴へ… – “To Yuuki”

Unfortunately I think this seals Yuuki’s death. Clearly the final episode is centered to some extent around Yuuki, and he may be the largest emotional presence. Which makes complete sense with the idea of the family reuniting and bidding farewell to Yuuki.

*sigh*

24. Nick says:

I was about to drop this series after the whole robot incident last episode. After the first Death dream i was like ” No way they’re gonna the kid”.
    But then after the second death scene, I realised. Damn. Huge points for the guts to kill off the only source of optimism in this show. Will download the next asap!!

25. evolstar says:

Oh my God, at first I was confused. That second death scene felt so real and when they showed Yuuki after she woke up, I was confused. I didn’t think of Mirai hallucinating him.

Another piece of evidence that Yuuki is dead is when Mari has a breakdown at the end and apologises twice to Mirai. She is clearly apologising and crying because of Yuuki’s death. Also, just look at Mari’s face after Mirai says that he looks fine and how she’ll look after him. They spent a lot of time on Mari after Mirai ran off after “yuuki”. She had such a sad expression as she looked down at her boots; the emotion there was so powerful. Awesome episode.

26. cc says:

Oh snap. Now that I read all the comments, I watched the show again and I’m sobbing now. Sniff.

27. Polaryzed says:

Don’t forget the other big clue that Yuuki is dead. All along in the episode the kept showing people that were complaining about not being looked at by the hospital staff. If Yuuki’s condition were so easy to fix that all he needed was some IV fluids, then I doubt that they’d be ready to leave already. There were MANY other people waiting to be seen with real injuries and a simple case of dehydration would have been put on hold for more critical care patients. Basically they’d still be waiting to be looked at. Otherwise the director wouldn’t have had at least 2-3 scenes with complaining patients. The only plausible reason is because Yuuki is in fact dead and they have no reason to stay any longer.

For the record I was completely fooled as well. I let my optimism get the better of me and went along with the whole ‘never-kill-main-characters-or-kids’ concept. Now that all these clues point to him being dead, it just makes this episode absolutely amazing. A++

28. Echo says:

I was fooled as well, and after the ep I felt that it was a pretty uneventful episode, but I was wondering why Mirai looked so terribly depressed……then I read these comments. It makes the episode so much more powerful….though I’m kinda sad that I didn’t let the show hit me hard with the realization instead.

29. m says:

The way that Mirai’s perspective changes in the previous episode culminating in a resolution to be a better daughter and to engage Yuuki’s plans, and then the overcompensation toward Yuuki after she awakens from her ‘dream,’ and finally the firm insistence that she would look after her brother when Mari begins to talk about him fit a pattern. The epiphany that Mirai had in the previous episode creates closure between the siblings and establishes a common dream that will be tragically realized in the end of the show by the surviving family members in Yuuki’s memory. The exaggerated mothering after Mirai awakens reflects her guilt, and her insistence that she will watch over Yuuki and the way that she tries to downplay what has happened and focus on Mari’s problems establish her denial. The events push the conflict from between the characters to Mirai with herself, and the resolution of that conflict will come when Mari finally forces Mirai to acknowledge that Yuuki is gone. I imagine that will result in angry denial, perhaps with Mirai exploiting something she learns about Mari’s situation to strike out at her, followed by some kind of acceptance and an apology.

You can look at all of the bits of evidence that support the idea that Yuuki didn’t make it, but I think even the mile-high view fits the cookie cutter.

I was surprised by this turn of events. I expected Mari’s family to have been dead all along, because her behavior after the earthquake didn’t look much like something someone with a young child whose welfare is unknown would engage in. I always expected a bittersweet ending, but I thought it would be kept at a distance like most of the tragedy in the show.

30. wackedfoo says:

i was completely fooled by this episode. now that i think about it, i wasn’t really paying attention when the news talked about sangenjaya and i just assumed mari was depressed about that the whole time.

31. meow says:

Went ahead and saw 8 anyway. Didn’t want to be mulling over this all week til the next episode. Yea..pretty sure Yuki is dead. Damn. They should change the op and ed now. It’s just too upbeat, especially the ed. I got the impression that this would be a story with a happy ending in the midst of tragedy – with the three bearing witness rather than being direct victims of it. On a side note, it’s weird that the newscast excerpt at the end specifically mentions someone’s daughter going missing. It seemed like the newscaster was talking about Mari, which felt so unreal.

32. Larien says:

I knew right away that Yuuki had really died, and that the second “dream” was in fact reality. It’s what makes this show that much more real – in the event of a real earthquake of this size, this is the kind of thing that would happen. Life doesn’t always have happy endings waiting for us, sometimes those nightmares come true.

For example, when I was 11 years old and it was suspected by my doctor that I had cancer, mine and my parents’ initial thought was that it was, and it would be horrible – it’s natural to feel afraid like that and expect the worst. And we were right, it was cancer, and it was horrible. Things don’t always end okay.

This show is amazing, but I am so sad now!

33. Theowne says:

I don’t know that it makes it quite real. The amount of casualties is fairly small for the population, so there is an overwhelmingly high chance, technically speaking, that the main chars should be alright, particularly since they escaped unscathed from the original tremors.

I thought the whole escaping Tokyo Tower debris was a misstep with forced drama back when it happened. If I had known it would lead to this, it would have been even worse.

What bugs me the most is the hallucination at the end. That is simple anime exaggeration, and doesn’t happen in real life. Which is okay, since it’s an anime, but I dunno, at the beginning I thought that this anime was aiming for something different.

34. tealovertoma says:

@ meow:

The ED song actually reminds me of the OP song of Natsu no Sora, another anime that pulled off tragedy fairly realistic and hit me *really* hard.

35. meow says:

@tealovertoma

I didn’t see the end of natsu no sora cos I wasn’t able to find episode 10. Last I saw was something about the elder teacher doing something to Sora in a room and the boyfriend catching sight of it and going depressed. I’ll go look it up somewhere. Usually Someday’s Dreamers stories are quite heartwarming stories though.

@Larien – I hope everything is okay with u and wish you the best.

36. AlexS says:

#33 @Theowne

Well, I’m not really sure if it’s really an hallucination, but rather the way of expression in anime of the denial that often happens when someone close to you dies. Teens are prone to a strong denial phase, and in the context of an earthquake, where you have the pressing need to mind of your survival and of those around you, denial will be even stronger.

So I don’t think she is totally unaware of Yuuki’s death, but rather that she’s strongly blocking this fact from her consciousness. In this booklet there are some examples of behaviors that come close to that.

Actually, strong denial of death can result in pretty bizarre situations.

Anyways, psgel’s will have some hard time not to spoil things for the folks who were fooled, when he comments the next episodes.

37. meow says:

Haha psgel’s comments lately in the threads that I follow are almost an episode summary so it doesn’t make a difference. XD I’m actually kinda grateful. I’m usually pretty sensitive to this sort of thing…especially something that blindsides me. Watching Mirai now is only going to be more painful. There were hints from the previous episodes but I honestly didn’t think they’d go this far so I’m glad the shock got softened by the stuff I read here.

About Mirai’s hallucinations, I think it makes alot of sense for Mirai’s mind to create this fantasy to soften the blow she’s taken – considering all the shocks she’s been taking since the whole earthquake started. I wonder if she might even blame herself for the earthquake; she’s the one who wished for the world to break in the first place. The last thing she would want would be to lose her kid brother to it. A part of the reason that the usually self-centered Mirai losing all sense of self preservation to save him might be her sense of responsibility for their predicament. And in the end, she fails. To face that head on, plus adding in her exhaustion, her worries about her parents, while still reeling from the end of her world, right down to her school…it’s either this or to sit in a corner in mental lockdown.

I thought it was a nice touch how every time Mirai sees Mari’s worried face, she mistakes it for Mari worrying about her daughter and tries to cheer her up, when in fact it’s Mari worrying about Mirai’s confused state.

For me, stories like this and Natsu no Sora (yep, found some summaries of the ending) are great to watch once but I think I’d never touch it again afterwards. It’s just too sad.

38. Julian says:

Sorry Psgels for posting “that” comment, I wasn’t really sure until I read all the comments here….to the topic, I think anyone can conclude that Yuki DID die…

39. Firechick says:

I thought this episode was quite good. And I actually kinda like the OP.

40. watashi says:

I totally missed that Yuuki would have died. I can’t believe before I see the next episode. It would be such a surprise. Now I am a little confused. By the way, I also think the opening is a great one.

41. Alex says:

Yuuki is in fact dead. I knwo this for sure because when Mari did not find Mirai in her blanket, she called only for Mirai and not Yuuki. If you look at the past episodes, then you will find Mari calling for both. Why would Mari only call for Mirai? Its because she knows Yuuki is not able to be found. And the Mari’s tears were the biggest hint. Mirai is talking about how worried Mari must be about her daughter and tries to comfort her, when Mari hears those words and knows that she is being comforted after such a loss, its painful. Its hard to see a person in denial…

42. Perrin4869 says:

This anime is on its way to becoming an instant classic

43. Theowne says:

@AlexS 36

I realize that traumatic grief can result in denial, but I don’t think that extended multisensory hallucinations occur except in the most mentally unstable of people. Here it is just anime exaggeration.

And of course, as I said, anime is anime, and doesn’t have to be like real life. In fact, I’d even say this is a pretty good way of showing Mirai’s state of denial, and is quite sad. But I just got this notion that this series was trying to be a bit more realistic with its handling of being a “disaster flick” and so seeing it go into cliche territory is a bit disheartening, for me at least.

44. Forwho says:

@ Theowne

The reason why I felt that Yuuki might be dead while watching that episode and for the whole time, desperately wishing that Mari and Yuuki would have some exchange at least so to show that Yuuki isn’t dead is because of a movie I watched earlier this year. It’s called The Uninvited. I’m sorry if I spoiled this movie for anyone, but the case inside this is very similar to Mirai is behaving now, because the main character has been interacting with her dead sister so well that everyone was fooled. So I don’t think it’s just an anime exaggeration. I think it’s in every way possible for such things to happen, especially with Mirai and what she has been going through since the earthquake.

It was my gut feeling that pushed me to pick up this show and I’m so loving every single episode of it–yes, even the robots one which I don’t get what’s the hate about. lol. I hope this show gets more love!

And goodness, I agree with the person who said that the OP and especially the ED because they really fooled me that this will all end happily. :/

45. Theowne says:

Okay, it may not be strictly anime exaggeration, but it is still exaggeration and unrealistic. Bringing up a comparison with a movie you watched is not really a good counter…..=P….Even with just a minimal dabbing in psychology, I know that extended multisensory hallucinations like what Mirai is apparently having is utter nonsense and does not happen to real life except for people who are, excuse the term, nutcases with complex history with mental issues. Grief, particularly sibling grief, manifests in many complex ways but this is just exaggerated.

Now to reiterate, I don’t have a problem with anime going over the line, but let’s not say it’s realistic.

46. Meep says:

Excellent run-down of the hints that reveal Yuuki’s death.

47. Lala says:

I also think Yuki is dead. I didn’t want to admit it, but yeah, I think it’s true. I started crying when I found out. I suppose that’s what the paperwork was for, and it explains why Mari was looking like that.

Good grief, these creators have guts. A lot of guts. I’m really upset about it right now…

48. AlexS says:

@ Theowne

You misunderstand. I’m not saying that she’s having a multisensory hallucination. I don’t think she’s having a hallucinations at all. I just think that she’s blocking Yuuki’s death, which is very different.

The anime is clearly showing things from the subjective point of view of Mirai (already with the first death scene), and is just continuing to do it. Yuuki is represented because Mirai does not want to acknowledge his death, but it does not mean that she’s hallucinating him.

And it’s not the first time this anime takes subjective points of view (Mari’s nightmare is another one). It’s ok with me, since people’s point of view on reality are also part of the experience of an event, since they condition real world behaviors.

49. Frog Baseball Team says:

YUUKI IS DEAD! HE’S NO LONGER HERE…

BUT… ON MY BACK AND IN MY HEART, HE LIVES ON AS A PART OF ME!

50. shit says:

i think Yuuki died…i don’t know why i just feel it …i am very confused right now. he was not carrying his bag. he was not beside Mirai when she woke up, his bag was there. Mari kinda hinted that he died when she said “about Yuuki…i would tell your parents…” or something like that. Mari is not holding any of their hands. I AM VERY CONFUSED

51. anonymous says:

LOL! Right now he is equal to Schroedinger’s cat.

52. Patrick says:

I was fooled as well, but now that I know he is dead they would better use this well in next episodes. Because to me it felt more like: hey let’s kill the kid because we don’t have enough story to make 11 episodes. He was perfectly well and then he dies like that, quite a bit cheesy to me.

53. Perrin4869 says:

Only that the uncertainty that he’s dead is definitely lower than the uncertainty that he’s alive… If I understand the uncertainty principle correctly, that is.

54. Anon says:

NEVER FORGET!

55. anonymous says:

Dead or Alive!?!

A real spoiler please!

56. AnonRage says:

@56

FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

57. tealovertoma says:

09 was a nice episode and confirmed it. “Crush syndrome” is what they’re calling it.

58. Firechick says:

Why is it that everyone around me thinks that Yuuki is dead? I don’t think this show would pull off a Kanon-like ending. This show’s supposed to be realistic without any spiritual elements or supernatural elements at all. Besides, if this show really had the guts to kill off Yuuki, they would either be saving it for the final episode or show something where Mirai asks about Yuuki but Mari either refuses to answer to say that she doesn’t know what she’s talking about.

59. POS says:

@Firechick

It’s a real psychological disorder where a person cannot cope with stress, stemming from a great loss. The person imagines that what he/she has lost to be there. It’s all mirai’s imagination/hallucination. Nothing supernatural involved.

@tealovertoma

Yeap, Yuuki died from Crush Syndrome. They should have sent him to a doctor even though it looked like he emerged from the building collapse scratchless.

60. teddybear says:

if… if yuuki died from ‘crush syndrome’ as others says, does that mean he was sick since the time he was trapped in the shopping centre?

Poor yuuki… why’d he have to die… ;__;

61. tazman0208 says:

Well I see people saying that Yuuki died from crush syndrome. That is not the case, Yuuki died from cerebral bleeding after the conccusion he got when the Tokyo tower collapsed and he was hit in the head while saving his sister.
    if you look at the symptoms you will see that Yuuki had most of them, delayed loss of conciousness, vomiting, loss of memory ect… Just wanted to make that clear.

62. tazman0208 says:

Edit: as opposed to crush syndrome that has the following symptoms:
    Compression in excess of 60 minutes
    Involvement of a large muscle mass
    Absent pulse and capillary refill return to distal limb
    Pale, clammy, cool skin
     Weak, rapid pulse
     Usually absence of pain in affected region
     Onset of shock

Well after rewatching the 2nd episode again, it didnt look to me that Yuuki was crushed at all since that girl was protecting him when the shelf fell over them.

63. TokyoMag8.0 says:

Yuuki also doesn’t like to tell people if hes ill or tired

While I haven't read this, its very strange to see a manga about full anthro animal characters: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Beastars
@Vonter: So based on that I will try devil lady. Thanks.
@Vonter: That'd be me who made that post. I thought dororon enma-kun was wonderfully ridiculous and Devilman gorishly entertaining, Shin Mazinger Z was probably some of the most fun I had with an anime, but violence jack took it way too far though so I guess I'm aquainted with nagai's work
I don't remember who was looking for something noir in anime. I was looking among several series from Go Nagai. And watched some Devil Lady. I don't remember if noir is exclusively detective stories, but this anime, has those high contrast shadows, eerie music and is shot like some japanese horror movies I've seen. I don't know if it changes along the road but so far it's very suspenseful.
I only know him through his works in Berserk and Paprika but his music never fails to amaze me
@Amagi: Ghost Bridge is my favourite. I just find it very calming. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeh5aJsxlbw
Susumu Hirasawa is one of my favorite musicians/composers. I don't even know what kind of subgenre this is. There aren't any other music groups I know who do similar stuff
Nielllo
@Mario, Already saw that video before.
Check this out... I don't even know what the freaking instrument he's playing, but it's spellbound https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjalQjAomH0
Niello
Just when I thought Houseki no Kuni took the prize for best animation I was treated with Apocrypha. This week is amazing.
Niello
Big name animators all over. They really threw everything they've got here.
Niello
Woooooah! OMG Apocrypha ep 22 animation is sick! So that's why the animation in the first half of the show is so lackluster and basically just darn awful.
Its not entirely odd to bring up Heydrich in relation to the occult either, apparently he was said to be part of some whackjob order.
Hmmm, that girl from Dies irae, Anna Schwegln is aptly named, also shares her name with the last executed person for witchcraft, who was Bavarian German, which i'm told by an Austrian friend were particular right-est leaning politically.
Of course unfortunately its often the opposite that happens, nothing is worse than an ending that ruins everything.
Ah, how I love being surprised by something. That feeling where you''re watching something shakily held together, simply okay or good, then suddenly in the second half or last stretch your score of it goes massively up.
I can kind of understand the wanting to go home and watch something easy mentality instead of challenging but even though I'm guilty of escapism, I'm tired somewhat of "sillier" stuff, its often enjoyable but its get overly reptitive and I wish I could find more philosophical/political/imaginative things.
Yeah the show is great because of its theme, the setting and chemistry girls have as well as their (lack of) knowledge about basic human things. Each episode thematizes this in a different way but there isn't much you can talk or say about it when you already explained the topic in detail.
On the other hand, I don't have much to talk about Girls' Last Tour this week. It's still good, but with this episode I feel that I'm running out of concrete thig to say about the show
Haha both Houseki and 3-gatsu have a good showing this week. I have a lot of things to talk about Houseki in particular
This week's Houseki is jurassic park
*-ati - I think Netflix and so are at least giving a few new impulses which isn't too bad. I don't think the typical anime series will disappear because of that.
At least in comparisation
I think it's just sad how often I see wonderful series selling 500 BD/DVD or maybe even less. Most series don't sell more than 1500 or so and the rest is usually at ~3000-5000 which is still pretty low.
Yeah, it's one of my pro-Netflix arguments as well. Another problem is that anime (not counting manga) only make money through dvd/bd sales since they air at night, whereas Netflix or daytime tv series don't depend on the latter so much and since anime BDs are so expensive the only ones who buy them are the more extreme fans.
Might be in part due to the workaholic nature of their society that makes escapist fantasy and empty entertainment more appealing than usual. Ultimately these are the people anime is made for so opening up the markets gives more deserving shows a fighting chance.
Though that isn't to say that western taste is perfect either.
@Amagi, That's part of the reason I think some westernation might be a good thing as from what I seen the Japanese have truly terrible taste in anime. Sales charts from Japan just make me shake my head.
God, the preorder anime lists are atricious. The only one that seems to sell acceptable (around 6k) is Mahoyome. Series like Inuyashiki have 80 pre-orders so far, Shuumatsu Shoujo 977. Idol shows sell good of course, including that male/bishounen Idolmaster
@Anon, I read it but kinda fell out due to it's releases being slow.
@Anon: Actually if you check the manga recommendations section, you'll see there is a post about it here.
@Anon: Yes, it was interesting to follow a story that dealt with a characters homosexuallity that was outside of the yaoi/yuri mould.
Anonymous1620968
Out of curiosity, has anyone on here read Shimanami Tasogare?
Niello
Where are we up to with Inuyashiki?
Well alright then. Episode 9 out of 11 and that happens. Was not expecting that
Ooo something happen this week? Im about to watch it
It feels just as rushed and awkward in the manga.
I noticed this too
Inuyashiki has balls of steel to pull that in this particular episode number.
Nielllo
Finally got around to reading Helck, and it looks like it's going to go into that pile of good-shounen-that-won't-ever-get-animated right alongside Psyren.
@Aidan: Imagine trying to buy the dvds of the show in public.
@Aidan: Gentle remind that the prism ilya movie is out and subbed.
Still surprised the second and third seasons got dubbed.
@Angel, I replied to one of your comments before but the rundown is no official word yet but maybe next year.
Angel
Or no? Someone please tell me!!
Angel
Going to happen?
Angel
Is fate/kaleid liner prisma☆illya 3rei dub
I dislike it when manga bait me into reading due to the first chapter and end up being some very generic stuff afterwards. Nobody stays for B if he started something for A, authours should expect that.
Really, Juuni should stick with the 3D. That fight in ep 9 looked pretty good. 3D is clearly what they are good at
@Niello, It's not Chatango. It's a plugin for wordpress called Wisechat.
@Niello: yeah, Juuni caught me off guard this week. The production of Juuni is unfortunately shaky, but well, strong writing can save the day
Niello
Btw is this chat still Chatango?
Niello
This week episode of Juini is surprisingly good compared to how the show usually is with its backstory. Although the part where Ox tries to explain to Tiger could definitely use some visual buff.
SuperWooper
in the future*
SuperWooper
Pretty cool that Juuni Taisen had that kind of emotional heft this week, though. Might be one of the 2017 shows I sample the in the future.
SuperWooper
I think the occasional comments with an episode title and nothing more come from people who mistake the shoutbox for a search bar.
@Anon1614688: juuni taisen... made me tearing up this week. Honestly didn't expect that. Damn you, Tiger
juuni taisen
Had some complaints regarding Children of Whales but the latest two episodes were pretty good.
@Anon: You explained it better than me.
Kaiser: I actually have the exact same opinion of Natsume and Mushishi. Both are excellent, but Natsume just does a great job with a small core cast and a very simple premise
who likes naruto
Mushishi does have good stories, but it was always a manga I'd dip in and out of, on and off for years, never marathoning it, wheras Natsume was easier to read several chapters of in one go.
I think its because Natsume has more pathos.
*more than
Natsume weirdly ended up becoming this comfort manga for me with a higher consistency rate .
I will state that I hold the terrible opinion that I like Natsume Yujinchou than Mushishi but at the same time completely recognize that Mushishi is probably the more ambitious, better show.
Niello
So it becomes a cycle of "this is an interesting set up" (except that the new Kino isn't even good at that) and then they fucked up or Kino/Shizu fucked them up even more, then move on. Without the emphasis on philosophical nature of the set up they present like in the original Kino, there really isn't that much point to it.
Niello
With the new Kino it's more about messing people up, occassionally observing and hardly ever improving. The anwsers or solutions to the problem they present is never really talked about in a rational way.
@Anon1614318: maybe you should give the old Kino a try. What I don't like most about the new version of Kino is that both Kino and the new guy are sketched as hero. The old Kino manages the tone right as well. There were some really dark tales and most of them thought-provoking. Can't say the same for say...Country of Cooking
I don't know, it might be interesting to actually dig deep into the differences between episodic series with this kind of style to see what works and what doesn't.
I guess it's a matter of the chapter they chose to adapt were not really the better ones but the ones where the protagonist is more of an active role. Not totally against that, but it feels like the protagonist is just OP all the time. At least with Mushishi Ginko isn't able to save everyone all the time.
I guess it's supposed to be more allegorical, but most of the time the allegory is not really meaningful enough. I thought it would be more along the lines of Mushishi, which is kind of similar in setup, but better in most other ways.
What keeps me sticking around are some of the nice background arts and generally pleasant use of color, but admittedly most of the episodes aren't really engaging in a meaningful way. Most of the time its just Kino/Shizu show up, find out town's gimmick, then save the day. I prefer the episodes where the townspeople are more than just flat background characters.
It's interesting to see how this new Kino season is being received from folks who've already watched the original. This is my first real exposure to Kino, and I kind of like it, but even without watching the original, I share many of the same complaints Aidan and most of the others have.
I am also kinda sad he's just some 2* servant in fgo, but his power is special and he's physically weak, so it's understandable.
And again, Shakespeare is just great but the character is, sadly, kinda wasted here considering how much screentime he has.
@Aidan: Yes. Plus, maybe more characterization or background for some servants. The anime would have that time without Sieg and his romance sub plot.
@Amagi, Those being remove Sieg and more Shakespeare?
And man Apocrypha is pretty good but it would be twice as good if it had those two changes Aidan always mentions in the reviews..
@Kaiser: I think the male in Kino was a mistake. Having two PoV sounds good, but he's basically just a male Kino, he even looks like her. Someone vastly different would have been way more interesting.
I'd guarantee that sangatsu no lion would be high up, but FINALLY this weekend I'll be catching up.
Niello
@Kaiser, Ugh my phone gitched. What I meant to say was that background was unexpected. Now I see why you're enjoying CotW though.
@Kaiser, That's unexpected.
I enjoyed how outright surreal Arakawa was.
@Amagi: It bothers me that they're stuffing multiple tales into single episodes.
Ah, excel saga, I wonder what I would think of it now, its been years.
@Amagi: I actually respect Aidan's coverage of it.
@Niello: Yes that edgy villain kid in COTWs was annoying though.
@Amagi: I don't care much for the male character that leads some of the episodes in this new adaptation.
@Niello: Its a non-mainstream shoujo that isn't set in a school, moves at a quick enough pace and has some nice background art/chara design, I grew up on shoujo fantasy manga also so theres that.
I mean there are parts I like. I enjoyed the first episode, and the part about the country of liars. But many other things annoy me and the last episode was the worst. I also feel like the edgy bomb loli and slapstick Kino don't fit to the rest of the show somehow. Maybe I forgot everything, but the "old" Kino felt like a better character to me somehow, this one is more faithful to the LNs though
@Kaiser: I honestly gave up on Kino and I think it's only partly the fault of the new series. I am just so tired of how stupid most of the episodic-characters are unless their are friends of Kino, how everyone gets bent being irredeemable evil for plot's sake and how everything Kino and her friends do gets justified. Maybe I am just too old or boring for this fairy tail like moral bending.
Still have Night is Short review to write... i will get there. I will get there
It's like having potty mouth characters. If you have one, it can be funny and a good comedic relief. If everyone does it, it can come out as mean spirited or trashy.
@Kaiser: I haven't watched A Bad Idea Gone Wrog, as for now my top priority is to catch up with 2017 anime for the Yearly summary. But I will get on to it when I have some free time
Amagi - Chibi stuff I've seen it mainly work in anime comedies with low budgets like Those Who Hunt Elves, Ranma, Excel Saga, Arakawa Under the Bridge, Nanbaka, etc. I think if you really have to use it in a more serious anime, I think it might work if it was part of one character's gag.
Children of the Whales, along with Juuni Taisen, keep falling out on me. Kino is pretty a hit-or-miss at the moment. I don't mind the last episode's multiple tales though
Niello
Problem about AMB chibi jokes are that they arwn't funny in the first place nor do they have a punch line.
Niello
@Eoghan, Really surprise you put Children of the Whales so high, I'm falling behind on some shows but it is still near the bottom of my list (the absolute bottom remains Kino).
The latest Kino episode was a real slap in the face/insult, really really thought that one segement would carry on for the whole episode and be a redemptive one/getting the series back on form but then it followed it up with crap comic relief segement.
@Lenlo: For now yes.
Droppin Mahou Kaiser?
I no longer care what Dia's gender is, no longer I will lie to myself and deem them female.
5. would be juuni taisen
My rankings for the season based on what I am following: 1. Houseki no kuni 2. Children of the whales 3. inuyashiki 4. girls last tour dropping mahou and Kino.
I don't remember Joseph being all that present from what little I read of the manga.
Fear so too. I mean it has a bunch of good ideas and good quality and such, but it feels like it won't be much more than the magical being of the week (or two weeks) and some Elias highjinks inbetween
I still say, I've got the feeling mahou will be wasted potential that won't really go anywhere much.
@Mario: Did you watch that indie film you recommended yet? Bad idea gone wrong it was called. I just finished it there, budgetary limitations and outside of Matt Jones the acting isn't great, theres a few limp/dead bits too, nonetheless it has its amusing moments here and there to make for an okay comedy that isn't all that essential but amusing enough in moments if your bored.
Yeah I think Mahou has some pacing issues. But I also think it would work way better if it was less episodic or semi-episodic.
I normally don't mind the chibi stuff that much but I agree in Mahoutsukai they break the tone and pacing. Serious at one time, fluffy at another...
@Vonter: I honestly never like chibi stuff I think. Didn't care back then but nowadays I consider it annoying. One reason is that jokes only work when they aren't pointed out but just happen, sometimes even so casually that you almost miss them. Turning everyone into a chibi for a joke makes it as fun as repeating, explaining or shouting it again (which many series also do)
I have to give it to Altair. It got me reading the manga. The episode this week did skip over a whole manga story, but to be frank it is not too much of a loss. Pacing issues still exist. One thing I noticed was a degrading in animation. They are probably hoarding for the next two episodes which are the major battle.
Just dropping my 2c here: Isn't it too late for the studio to correct such inherent design issue once eps start rolling out?
@Angel: The dub wasn't all that impressive in the first place however.
Angel
When Will fate/kaleid liner prisma☆illya 3rei dub come out?
The chibi stuff sadly, is like watching someone make the same mistake over and over again, without acknowledging that thing isn't coming across well. At this point it seems like an intentional choice rather than just cutting corners. Kinda like when an anime has a decent dub but has that one character with a really annoying voice.
Its continued this willful ignorance, this virtual refusal, to actually address the issue. Thing about the chibi is, the first scene with Silver worked. Then it just got overused.
Mahoutsukai continues denying itself. We finally had some tough questions asked, but the show just ignored them in the 2nd half (with generous doses of chibi). That said Elias true form is terrifying.
@Kaiser: If you enjoy The Scent of the Green Papaya and Cyclo, you can also check out his unofficial third film about Vietnam: The Vertical Ray of the Sun, which is about the modern day of Hanoi. It's my favorite film of his, although I know that artistically it can't compare to his earlier films
And I can say the mafia aspect of Cyclo is more like Hong Kong than Vietnam. But, whatever. I like this one well enough
@Kaiser: I particularly love the score in Cyclo. No wonder later on Tran Anh Hung asked Joony Greenwood from Raidoohead to score his films. His score has the same uncomfortable feeling with this one
I would have watched an entire story based around that old man in the new Kinos journey episode.
@Mario: Though while I never found it boring, it did feel it could have had a better narrative.
@Mario: Cyclo I felt has some reasonable sketched characters and the aesthetic sells the viewer on the environment the characters are living in, Tony Leung was my favourite in it, I also like how some Asian films are able to mix quietness with moments of violence, makes it much more visceral.
SuperWooper
I'd lean towards weirdest thing you've ever seen. It's certainly up there for me.
...I can't figure out whether Sengoku Jidai with batman is weirdest thing I have ever seen or makes completely perfectly sense and was inevitable it would happen
The map design should've been vastly more different, I'd love to hear why they thought it was worth it to keep the same maps as Gaiden. So. Much. Open. Fields.
Finally got to playing Fire Emblem Shadow, and 15 hours in I'm already not a fan of the gameplay. The story is vastly superior to Gaiden, but it looks like it missed the point on how to make a good remake. The maps are just as god awful as in Gaiden and for it, (in hard mode) it feels like a game of numbers rather than strategy.
@Mario: I feel drama need not always go for emotions in the audiences but can be effective in a solely cold observational sense and approach.
haha you don't need to spy you know. Like I said Discord chat has been active lately. I find myself more comfortable chatting in there for some reasons.
I spy on the discord chat sometimes
Worried about this Junji itou adaptation thats coming up, hope it isn't one of those zero animation web-short series.
@Kaiser: he still has Flashmob in which he intended to make. Yeah, he started his career quite late but he has had a very successful career
@Mario: Potentially could be his last film, he is quite old.
Agree that Happy End has many quirkier moments compared to his other works. Still a solid work but I won't rank it amongst his best
@Kaiser: Watching Happy End, you can immediately realize many of Haneke's favorite themes: the voyeur/camera in Benny's Video, Cache; the latent racism like you mentioned, the idea that killing someone you love is better than watching them suffering, the underlying violence in a normal middle class life in most of his works
@Mario: Like with code unknown, its approach to latent rascism is far better handled than for example a terrible hollywood oscar bait drama would handle it.
@Mario: I felt though had the film been a bit longer, Huppert and Jones could have gotten more scenes, same with Franz Rogowski's character.
@Mario: I did however think that the disjointed nature of the earlier parts were both to the advantage and disadvantage of the film. But it delivers a killer of a last act that I loved.
@Mario: I finally got around to seeing happy end, I liked the Cache and amour references and how Haneke cheekily managed to insert quirkier moments and even wry ones so seemlessly into the narrative. Fontaine ,Kassovitz and Tringnent had the best scenes, particularly the ones between Fontaine and Tringnent.
@Mario: Physical, non-verbal communication is a far more valuable way of conveying information I believe and more effective in fiction.
Report on Just Because so far: they took on the three-way romance direction, which I initally ain't fond of. But last episode actually was great with the focus on body gestures and natural dialogues, delivering one of the brst exchange the show has this season. A good watch overall
Sadly, the only anime youll probably get like that will be made outside japan, like Castlevania was, and wouldnt be considered "anime" by most of the community. A shame, cause Castlevania was great.
A classic western would be cool. Like Red Dead the anime.
But I am just coming up with fantasizing now.
Even a Raymond Chandler style of story.
I'd also love to see a non-scifi western anime get made now or even an east meets west thing with cowboys AND samurai in it.
Thats a good example Vonter I guess but I probably should have been more clear/clarified that what I meant is that I wanted to see more noir anime being made NOW , I want netflix to back one . I mean the kind of thing where everyone is wearing fedoras and trench coats and its 1930/40/50, shadows everywhere or it looks impressionistic.
Kaiser-Eoghan - Monster is a very grounded detective like story. The villain is good and intimidating, some moral dilemmas are poignant and despite being animated I remember it having good direction of photography since the story takes place Germany, Prague, and some other places.
I've only seen bits of wolf rain many years ago, never bothered with it further after hearing the pacing is terrible and it makes an unsatisfactory ending even less worth waiting for.
Ah, but I mean without science fiction elements.

Fate/Apocrypha – 22[Reunion and Farewell]

Breaking my usual routine today just to give an opinion on this episode but this episode made me feel compelled to get out my opinion. We have another action packed episode with three contestants out of the war and boy did they go out with a bang. Many will notice that the animation for this […]

Inuyashiki – 9 [Shihjuku People]

Welcome to another week of Inuyashiki! This week we have incredible sequences of terror, fearless Directors and death flags! Lets jump in. Obviously, the first thing we need to talk about this week is Hiro. A lot has happened in the few hours since Hiro attacked the Station. Interestingly, yet weirdly, Hiro has garnered a […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 21[Antares Snipe]

When Apocrypha slows down, it’s story shows it’s cracks. But when it’s an action showcase it actually becomes quite entertaining. The characters don’t have the time to be developed but they shine in combat when they clash, sometimes showing parts of themselves the series otherwise doesn’t allow for. Astolfo for one was actually useful for […]

Dies Irae – 08[Promise]

Netflix has funded thirty anime which will air in 2018 and this has brought concerns over whether Anime as a whole could be westernised in order to cater to an overseas demographic. I find the chances of this unlikely and the more likely result is a more diverse lineup of anime for both Japanese and […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 9 [None so deaf as those who will not hear]

Hello and welcome to another week of Mahoutsukai! Lets hop right into it. First and foremost, let’s talk about Chise. As the main heroine of the show, naturally it’s going to focus on her a lot. This week zooms in on her relationship with Elias and what it actually is. Characters and situations comment on […]

Juuni Taisen – 10 [A Tiger May Die, But It Leaves Its Skin]

Juuni Taisen again expands a huge flashback in the middle of the current story, but this one hits all the right notes because naturally its heart is in the right place. It’s episode like this that I am glad I’m still sticking with Juuni Taisen and regain my faith to the overall quality of this […]

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World- – 09[Various Countries]

I will likely be spending most of this post talking about one segment of this episode as just as the title suggests, these are a series of stories involving different countries. But before I get into that I must truly question why these particular stories were chosen. I have stated before that I love Kino […]

Houseki no Kuni – 09 [Spring]

Houseki approaches summertime this episode and this week feels like a breather after the intensity from the last few weeks, by that I mean Phos didn’t get into any real trouble by the end of this week. Not to say this episode is anything less amazing compared to last several weeks. One of the factor […]

Inuyashiki – 8 [Mari Inuyashiki]

Hello and welcome to another week of Inuyashiki. We are approaching the end, with only 3 episodes left. The end-game has been revealed, Hiro returns to his roots and Inuyashiki gets found out by someone close to him. Lets jump in! To start off, Inuyashiki tipped its hand this week as to the ultimate ending. […]

The Reflection Review – 45/100