Posted by psgels on 4 September 2009 with categories: Pandora Hearts

Well, since the manga is going on way beyond the end of this series, which is going to come in three more episodes, I’m not expecting too much from this series’ finale. Sure, the final episode may end up to become awesome, but the story isn’t going to come together like with most endings, and it’s probably going to keep me hungry for more until that second season gets announced. If it ever gets.

Nevertheless though, this show just keeps surprising me. Some of the flashback parts in this episode were utterly demented, not to mention that just about the entire episode was dedicated to Break’s past. We also learn about how Alice and the Will of the Abyss used to be twins, somehow strangely connected through each other in the Abyss. When Alice got killed, I assume that the Will of the Abyss remained in the deepest parts of the abyss, while Alice herself was just cast into the regular Abyss, where Oz ran into her.

Thinking back though, this series did miss out on being a classic. Now that this series has nearly ended, I’m beginning to understand why: compared to the other series this season, the cast of Pandora Hearts didn’t grow on me as much. This series has always excelled at two points: the complex storyline and back-story behind everything, and the demented style of storytelling that just keeps the surprises going. But it also excelled at these points incredibly well.

In the end, Oz ended up as a bit of a flawed character: he works when the focus isn’t on him, but when this show focuses on him it starts focusing a bit too much on his cheesy self-retrospection. As for the rest of the characters: the thing that made them awesome was this series’ style of storytelling: the people from Xebec did a great thing of translating the style from the manga to the anime, and give it as much impact as possible. But in the end, the cast members on their own just aren’t as interesting as the cast of Guin Saga, Phantom, Shangri-la, Full Metal Alchemist, Cross Game, the New Mazinger and some other shows.

Nevertheless, where as the spring season of 2008 brought some truly inspiring science fiction premises and the autumn of 2008 brought lots of new things to the table for the horror-series, the spring of 2009 excelled at the fantasy-premises. The new Full Metal Alchemist, Guin Saga, Pandora Hearts and Shangri-La (which walks a bit in between fantasy and science fiction) and if you include the winter-season Kemono no Souja Erin all came with great and inventive premises that really contributed to the fantasy genre.
Rating: ** (Excellent)

1. Shirachi says:

While I would disagree with many of your points, they are fair. I’m very much aware of my biased opinion regarding Pandora, as it’s currently my favorite manga, so I won’t argue with you about them.

My biggest disappointment with the anime in general is that 1.) the animation stuido, more often than not, wasn’t very good; and 2.) they should have waited for the manga to be completed first.

Pandora is very plot-driven, so for people who only watched the anime to get cut off just when we get to the central mysteiesy – Oz’s “sin,” Gilbert’s past, Glen Baskerville himself, Lacie, the connection between Glen and Elliot, what happened to Echo and Oz’s father, the Will of the Abyss’ “wish,” and of course, Alice. They’re left hanging.

It’s a shame, but I’ve enjoyed the ride.

2. crooked7 says:

I hope they don’t pull a Claymore where the ending of the anime felt like it was thrown together and really lacked any sort of resolution.

3. Perrin4869 says:

You pretty much summarized all the problems I have with this series. Although I think you could add extremely lame enemies to the list.
    Only for me those problems were enough for me to not enjoy watching the series most of the time, although the plot was so promising. If the characters are not credible, then the show was not meant for me…
    I guess I expected too much after watching the first 3 episodes. I hoped that Gil really died in episode 2, and that Oz would grow up after the incident, and that the dark atmosphere of those episodes would remain. But of course that was not going to happen, I should have known not to expect that…
    BTW, if I ever feel like finishing the story, where should I pick up on the manga?

4. crooked7 says:

@Perrin4869

You can read the translated scans online here.

5. Denizen says:

I think I have to disagree. I would consider the characters of Pandora Hearts the strongest part of the show, or at least my favourite part of it, and I would consider them particularly memorable – they’re original, likeable, diverse and come alive.

6. Perrin4869 says:

@crooked7: My question is at what chapter should I start?

7. astrocurrent says:

I agree with your comments on Pandora’s characters. And not like most series, you don’t see much growing up during the process. Sometimes it’s hard to tell the characteristic. This could be a charm when it works. When it doesn’t, um… They have depth, but feels underdeveloped.

This may because of how the mangaga plot the series, although I have to say the story is awesome when it gets to the center of the mystery, along with the characters. You would be amazed what a story that is flawed yet have potential could turn into. But these all happen a little bit after, so you couldn’t see much in the anime… And I have to disagree with Perrin4869’s comments on the enemies. They are not lame, especially not Lotti. It’s a shame that the anime adaption weakened her fascination.

I actually very glad with the animation studio. If it is not for Xebec, I wouldn’t notice this series. And because of Xebec’s “subtle” production value, the anime was focused more on the story and the characters themselves, rather than busy turning into another MOE serires. And the DVD is always there to fix the cutting corners. I just finished watching the second DVD and impressed of the work they have put into.

8. BlandUserGsEf says:

@Perrin4869: You should start on (as of after Ep.22) chapter 33 on the Pandora Hearts Manga. Just don’t mind the introductions of almost every chapter you read, cause Jun Mochizuki just likes to poke fun at the characters before the chapter begins.

9. Asa says:

I’d advise not to read the scanlations if possible since the two main groups working on them have major translation issues. I’ve seen several cases of major plot points being missed, other plot points not correctly conveyed, etc… Just a couple chapters and I couldn’t even bear to look at those scanlations anymore. But eh, whatever works for you.

Personally I love the cast of PH. I’m also very biased, but I think they’re an amazingly strong part of the series. But then again the anime failed to include a few key points about Oz’s character, so I can see why the anime watchers are underwhelmed. I’ll go back to enjoying my yandere Oz in the manga now. c: (alright, now I’m just being blatantly biased for no reason)

Now we’ll be going into anime original territory… I won’t be prejudging at all. Let’s see what Xebec can do with this.

10. Snowolf says:

I’m with Asa. I have grown to adore the PH cast, despite their flaws. And I think I know why everyone is so frustrated with them- there are SO MANY mysteries surrounding them and their different personalities, and then there’s the somewhat confusing dialogue/plot which kind of scatters around, so it’s a bit annoying to catch up with and be like “Well, what’s going on here? And this is related to this, which is related to this, which IN TURN is related to this?” It’s a VERY complex storyline, which has managed to do very well at this point, (which is why I love it so much). And the demented part of it just is like a cherry on a lovely cake. No matter what the flaws though, PH remains my favorite manga ever. As for the anime, it’s followed the manga to heart, but the other competitors out there have just beaten it, sad to say. If it had come out with last year’s boring series…I’m sure it would have made a great(er) anime.

But let’s see what will happen. :D

11. Snowolf says:

@Perrin4869

Chapter 30/31 should do it. That’s where we meet Rufus Barma and all. :D

12. Asa says:

Snowolf// All the mysteries surrounding the characters are all the more reason to like them, IMO. I guess I can see why people are frustrated with the characters for those reasons, but eh, some people like them for the same reason others hate them. =P
    Although I have to say, Break is the perfect character. He’s not my favorite, but as a character, he’s just… perfect.

While Xebec did manage to adapt the plot far better than I imagined, there were a few key points left out of the anime that were “deciding factors” in the character personalities for me:
    1. Oz shooting the white rabbit – Showed that Oz can be badass and has an unmerciful side too. Of all the scenes left out in the anime, this remains as my #1 dissapointment.
    2. Vincent’s Sablier rampage – Showed how dark and twisted the manga could really be. (but then chapter 39 came along…)
    3. Sheryl – Showed that even if Rufus acts like a jerk, he has an adorable side too. Now in the anime he’s just a jerk.

I noticed that Xebec has been making quite a few OVAs of their past series lately… DO IT XEBEC DO IT.

13. Snowolf says:

Asa- I totally agree- but it also is kind of a weak point in that you get TOTALLY confused at times. But I don’t disagree. Personally, I love the mysteries surrounding the characters.

Break is just fabulous. He’s humorous, sadistic, and very subtle. How awesome can you get with a character?

And Oz not shooting the rabbit in the anime really ruined that episode for me. It was the biggest awesome scene ever, and they totally missed out on it. Which to me, doesn’t make any sense, because you can’t count it as too violent- this whole show is dark, so that’s not an excuse…

KT here: Next RE:Creators episode seems to be a gag episode. Not sure how I feel, though obviously the creators need a break.
yeah, usually 1 small arc = 2 to 3 episodes. We have 3 mini arc left so I would say about 6 episodes
Actually from what I hear, there isn't enough material left in Owarimonogatari to make a full course. Seems like it's one volume with would equal 6 episodes at best.
Like hell. There's about five more Monogataris to adapt. Anyway it's not that you are not getting it but rather instead of one cour it's going to be all aired within two days as specials. The runtime of the specials is up for debate but you are still getting it.
the loss of the FINAL one, you mean.
@Mario, I wouldn't grin evilly about it but there's like over ten Monogatari animes. Kinda hard to be sad over the loss of one.
According to ANN, this new Owarimonogatari will be a special 2-day events, which honestly I don't know what that even means. Most of you might grin your evil grin right now but I'm crying inside with that news.
The LWA finale didn't do much for me sadly. Croi's roles as a main antagonist is just not good. And I feel like in the end I don't know much about Suzy or Lotte. I think the worse episode for me was the one right after the twist about why Akko can't perform magic, because it's as Aidan said
KT
Thus Little Witch Academia comes to an end. I will miss it. Despite the mistake IMHO of the Croix Arc, this was a good series, and the last episode went back to the very elements that made me love it at the start. It was a happy series, and gave me a warm fuzzy feeling in some hard times. I thank it for it. It could had been exceptional, but I guess they wanted to try something more.Ah well.
Really glad they used that Scarborough fair song one last time before the finale. I really love that song.
SukaSuka's finale was beautiful, a great way to end a great anime.
@Aidan: I guess the big question I have is, do the character interactions coupled with what assume will be some kind of tragedy element work together well enough to make the viewer care and invest in the characters?
So that's the end of SukaSuka. Better than I thought it would be. Honestly didn't give it enough of a chance in my preview. As far as light novel adaptions go it's above average. Though it does still suffer from it's cliches. Nothing outstanding but a worthwhile watch nontheless.
Have you seen Shonen Jump is making an international manga contest? https://medibang.com/jumpplus/entry/
@Lenlo: you know it when you see it. At first I didn't believe they jumped the shark, but based on the events after that twist, yep it has settled for something much cheaper imo.
For Bahamut, im still enjoying it and we have another cour to go. I think it, and the first Bahamut, are good shows. For Kado, im only on ep 4 so im very curious what shark gets jumped
I think given the pace I'll watch 1-2 or 2-3 episodes of re creators instead of once a week.
In the end Bahamut suffered the same fate as the first one, I could never call it a bad show, I just never ended up feeling it.
I've given my thoughts on tsuki ga kirei before on here but I'll add by saying that I never expected it and uchouten 2 (despite the weak wrap up I liked the lead up) to be my favourite of the season.
About five years ago or so could have seen myself really having been in the mood for LWA.
I wasn't as impressed with Uchoutens finale as Mario was,I found myself more annoyed by how clumsily done it all was.
For me kado jumped the shark with its latest direction and Aidans review along with flicking through this weeks episode kind of confirms I'm done with the show. A show I was initially unsure of but thought might become something.
@Anon, Yeah....at least LWA's finale was pretty good and I think there's a possibility of a second season. With the Criox/Chariot plot line out of the way I say they could really bank on it's potential. Even if they don't, this series was still quite enjoyable.
Man I couldn't agree more with Aidan about LWA and Kado. I still like and enjoy Kado but damn it could have been so much more.
Ntr trap appears to be a non-seinen/shounen yuri manga given its publication magazine.
Not all people work as fast, but that's what companies expect nowadays. Which is why CGI is preferred over practical effects. Or even why anime has used more 3D that painted backgrounds, cars or other props that take time and work to be drawn.
No. I get deadlines are tough. Companies and customers want everything made as fast as humanly possible, yet reality is that making things good takes time and money. I wouldn't be surprised that's why Berserk comes out every 6 months, the art is too detailed and the story is slow paced. Yet the anime was planned to be made in a year or two so it's evident either way, crunch is expected.
I think you misunderstood what he meant when he said the industry was a mess. Mangaka routinely work themselves into a hospital because of the demanding schedule
Then there's the franchise appeal. Which inherently gains something because of persistence, awareness and name. It is hard when great visual effort is mainly put in things that are guaranteed to be a hit, because original stuff tend to make mistakes to find their own identity. Which in itself makes them very risky affairs.
It's also a heavy flaw of the internet, having mainly binary opinions of good or bad. Which makes it hard to tell if you'll like something in the 7s like Nier or Alien 3 (might not be a 7 but opinions make it sound like it is). Divisive products that may or not may suit one's tastes.
Personally I think the issue has become what suits your tastes, what are you willing to give a chance and what hits beyond the medium it is presented.
@AidanAK47 "Manga in general is great but Jesus Christ the industry is a mess". - I mean, movies, games, and other entertainment have the same issue, since everyone has a big slice of the pie, yet there are like a million things competing for one's attention.
On that note, apart from the 3 shows I'n currently covering (Eccentric Family, Tsuki ga Kirei and ID-0), I will give a full review on Grimoire of Zero, a show that I feel rather difficult to pinpoint exactly on its quality.
Can't believe we approaching the final week of this current season. Gonna be a busy week of blogging with the usual weekly posts plus the final impressions.
@Anon1206174: I agree with you on both counts. And Sakura Quest has never been bad, but it could have been deeper and less messy. If you plan to watch ID-0 (I suggest you do), don't get your expectation too high because it works much better when you expect nothing of it. Like each episode I was genuinely surprised how good ID-0 actually is.
I remember one of Aidan's visual novel posts where he said theres potentially hundreds of VNs un-translated and LNs too, makes me wonder just how much un-translated manga we are missing out on.
Anonymous1206174
The ID-o posts sound pretty interesting, I am really thinking of dropping Sakura and watching this instead. Really loved the beginnign of Sakura and that abandoned town atmosphere it had, but I am not feeling it anymore. The recent episode about Shiori was great again though..
*looking
Then again he's an extremely forgetable person.
Oh Godammit, looing back over my comments I meant to say Souta not Setsuna, I suck at remembering non-English names.
Anonymous1205999
Meh - I really like this season but I already have my first cases of 'good-show-disappointing-ending/second half'
Anonymous1206022
KT Here:RE:Creators , we need to know more about the rules for Altair to see if that works. It might, and it might not. With what they know they have a good plan. But I was thinking why not just do a Super Smash Bros type game with the characters? I am sure that would generate enough stuff in order to lock her.
On Re:Creators, I find a better solution instead of going all cross-media like the show suggests. Someone could just make some fan-fiction on Altair that purposely show her weakness (like get busted when expose to the sun, or the magic word that render her skills useless). Less efforts, more effective
Man, I agree wholeheartedly with what KT said here: mass media actually sells, so it keeps the industry to a more stable position; then the art-house/more adult oriented anime can have some freedom to do what they like.
I think its more that I have to read it all at the same time as expecting action to come , it might change my mind if I watched it in English.
Anonymous1205580
KT here: I accept the mass media because it raises the funds for the less mainstream stuff I like. That is how I make my peace.

On RE:Creators. I get what you guys say. But for some reason I do not find the exposition heavy in this series. Every person has his own limit I guess
Alonaria
@Kaiser: Yep, that sounds about right, lol. I take my Sheldon in concentrated doses. I might give the Young Sheldon spin off an episode or two because it's highly exaggerated but still somewhat relatable to me.
I feel big bang theory is a show for people who know nothing about nerds/nerd culture to find funny.
And then theres this thing about Sheldon being some kind of autism spectrum thing , which is kind of annoying to hear when I am on the spectrum myself and never really found the character all that amusing.
Probably not the strongest reason to go off a show but, it was people around me going on and on about big bang theory that eventually put me off it.
lol is it any surprise Miura and the hunter x hunter guy take so many breaks =P
Alonaria
*Sheldon
Alonaria
I pick and choose Big Bang episodes that I enjoy. Shelden in the ball pit never ceases to amuse me. Still, it's definitely overrated haha.
IT Crowd > Modern Big Bang. Early Big Bang was good.

And yes, the work conditions in the Manga Industry are terrible. Oda, One Piece Mangaka, works stupid hours. He requests his assistances be "Willing to die for One Piece" because of the amount of work.
And hell yeah"! someone else thats hates on big bang theory.
IT crowd > big bang.
*more safer
And yet now here I am at same time, I think it might be kind of a shame that I can't see the value and fun anymore in some less safer offerings.
I thinking I might go insane if I looked up comments defending the visuals in occultic; nine.
Hate to say it but sometimes opinions, mainstream ones are actually wrong. Its a fact that superhero films have bad action scenes and cinematography and Hardboiled, a chinese action film is better filmed in terms of choreography.
As dickish as this is to say, I really do recoil when ssomeone says something like the Notebook or fifty shades is the best film of all time/their favourite.
See theres also factoring in the people whos favourite film or anime of all is the most recent they finished.
I remember mentioning recently that I was re-watching the twilight zone, the response I got was "I thought that you were talking about twilight"
See thats whats so great about being able to talk about more niche stuff online, theres an easier to find common ground.
In general when it comes to mass popular opinion it's the tried and true safe stuff that ends up selling. The highest selling Mario games are the New Super Mario ones. The same generic Light novel and harems keep selling. There are plenty of examples but majority opinion tends to gravitate to the safe and familiar.
See, most (offline) people (and or teenagers)who aren't really all that interested in film or don't look into it that much will turn out for things like fifty shades, transformers or twilight, thats why those are popular. Most people aren't going to watch something made more than a few years ago or subtitled.
Oh...lol fuck thats a blunder...yes I meant Re:creators.
But by all means, people are fully entitled to like what they like. But there is a reason why so much rubbish gets popular.
@Kaiser, Re:Creators.
As someone who would actually consider themselves creative and interested in things being imaginative I really do hate the whole anti-creativity /anti-art, anti-intelligence movement and way of thinking that allows un-deservedly popular things like what Aidan mentioned to fester.
Yes Re:zero's poor pacing and leaden dialogue is becoming too dominant and there should be more action, its good Setsuna opened up, but I still don't particularly like him.
I imagine the magazines/editors probably consider themselves the writers sometimes.
Pretty sure I only read nisekoi because I was keeping up with conversations about it, then dropped it before the Chitoge doublie showed up, just stopped reading.
On the matter of Re:Creators, I feel the same as the Anon said. I find the exposition to just drone on far too much.
On the matter of the manga industry being shit...it is. Manga in general is great but Jesus Christ the industry is a mess. Work conditions are utterly abhorrent and it's even worse that most series live or die based on a magazine popularity poll.
Because just because something is popular, does not mean it is quality. Example: Transformers, Twilight, Fifty shades, Sword Art Online, Big Bang theory
@Anon, Still not getting your logic here. I mean if I have a problem with it after trying it then why am I not allowed to complain about it? Anyway it is only popular for the pandering. Even those who like Nisekoi admit that it's a mediocre harem and they mainly enjoy the waifu wars on the internet.
and now we will resort to illegal streaming sites for this one. "Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem", this f*cking true
Huh? Welcome to the Ballroom Anime Gets Amazon Prime-Only Streaming Inside and Outside Japan. Now that just unbearable
Don't know about this new Re:Creators episode since I haven't watched it, but I don't really mind Meteora. Her dialogues scream "exposition" but she still fits well to the story. The fights are good, I agree, but why didn't they go all the way with the world's collapse last episode?
Anonymous1202407
Whether Nisekoi is pandering or not, it is not enough proof for you to suggest that manga industry is shit. If u want good mainstream then its not that hard to find. Also for every success like Nisekoi which u claim to be pandering, there are dozen like it that failed to be popular. Why? Because it clearly is popular for a reason other than just simple pandering.
Ha, Ping Pong. I need that kind of show again in my life.
Also, Ping Pong is amazing.
Theres a difference between pandering to a large audience, and an anime/manga with a quality story that everyone ends up liking. Ive always found moe shows and things like Nisekoi to be the former.
Anonymous1202407
If you have a problem with it after trying it just dont read it. Its that simple. Also what a surprise that a show like nisekoi that appeals to a large demographic is popular. U want the mangaka to apologize it's not some art house story like Ping Pong?
Meteora is pretty hit or miss with her dialogue imo. Sometimes its great, othertimes its not. I can say though I enjoy most of the fights.
Anonymous1202113
I really want to like Re:Creators. To be honest though, I'm getting tired of the dialogue. It has its high points, but it sometimes just seems to drone on and on, especially with all of Meteora's "hypotheses."
KT
Both Bahamut and RE:Creators had great episodes. But I was indeed mentally screaming Super Smash Bros at RE:Creators. You will get the point when you watch the episode.
Taken on it's own, Nisekoi is harmless. But it is undeniably proof that you need not be creative or innovative to succeed in the industry. In fact declaring creative bankruptcy could turn more fruitful than genuine effort.
And I said how can you decide you don't like something if you haven't read it?
Of course you are likely mean that if you don't like something then give up on reading it further which of course does not mean that someone cannot complain about it regardless.
Anonymous1198985
No, Im said if you dont like nisekoi dont read it
@Anon, How do you know you don't like it if you don't read it?
Anonymous1196967
Don't like it don't read it.
I went and read Double Arts. This really was a great manga with tons of potentail and truly didn't deserve the axe. It's so depressing that this was cut off so soon and the author went on to make the most generic Harem ever Nisekoi, and that got over 200 chapters.
All of the important dance scenes for Yuri were fantastic, its just some minor one off characters and some reused ones that were an issue, so no they are better than the CGI
Anonymous1190387
Is it worse than those CGI dance scenes in some anime?
@Puran, It is pretty surprising how well that story turns out. I say IG might do the job even if there animation isn't the most consistent. The one thing I am worried about is those necks though. In the PV those things were ridiculously long.
Puran
Fair enough, recycling the animation was bad, agreed. But the animation itself was really good.
See, I found the repeated dances in Yuri one of the worse parts. Alot of it was recycled animation and certain characters were obviously rushed/not done. Some were amazing, cause they took their time, but others looked terrible.
Puran
I kinda wish Mappa was doing the anime though. Yuri on Ice had really nicely animated dances (and was more or less the only actually good quality of that show :P )
Puran
Reading the Ballroom e Youkoso manga has made me really excited about the Anime.
Kaiser_Eoghan
@Aidan: I'm particularly turned off by bully/bullying cliches these days. I've only read the first two volumes to see how awful she was but I ended up simply losing track of the series and stopped reading.
Kaiser_Eoghan
@Mario: Actually that has changed, I had to pick a different day to see it given changes in schedule, I've booked it for NEXT Wednesday now. I've watched Akira about four times.
Oh, Rising of the Shield Hero is getting an anime adaption. Hmmm...honestly after finishing the series and looking over it as a whole I am not sure I even want that. Plus seeing Bitch Animated...would fill me with rage.
I intend to re-watch Akira soon, probably this weekend. It has been almost 10 years since my first watch and now I don't remember much about that one. Thought it was intriguing and complex but not as acclaimed as people hyped it to be (I'll pick Ghost in the Shell anytime). Wonder how I'd feel now after re-watching it.
@Kaiser: I remember you mentioned that you were going to watch In this Corner of the World today right? How was the movie Kaiser?
Oh cool, food wars is getting a 3rd season
Ballroom youkoso appears to be leading the polls.
@Mario: Fumiko is a female mangaka yes. Also I found bokura no hentai worth reading.
yep, I finished that manga too and I have conflicted feeling about it. Yuri(!) part and fanservice are to blatant but they have a purpose. This mangaka (not sure but I think she's a girl) has some unique voice.
....well I skimmed that manga. And it was weird
By all appearances,Sakura is normal,albeit sheltered junior high school girl who enjoy talking about love and walking home from school together.However,they also happen to inhabit a strange and supernatural world populated by mysterious,gigantic beings and unusual plant and animal life.Amid their peaceful lives,Sakura becomes very interested in something only alluded to exist in old books: dicks
Here's a synopsis of other manga from the same author, I think you'll have a better idea of his theme -
Sakura no Sono
Pretty much what Masky said. I am not really praising it. Anyway I plan to read one or two more chapters to see where it's going. But if it's going in the direction I think it's going then I am dropping this one fast.
Kaiser_Eoghan
There is of course the underlying concern that it will go a very ugly route with that development or it could become edgy/horribly minipulative, but for now it is as mario said, a hook.
Well. overall I don't dislike what I read there. It has good hook and I'm intrigued to know more what the hell will happen. Good set-up for me. I'm in
@Masky: it's fine Masky, since I will chec itk out any way and see it for myself ^^
So since you guys started being interested, I checked it out and uh.. Yeah, not reading. I think ye guys misunderstood Aidans warnings since that was just fucked up and not in the interesting way.
@Aidan: Berserk will never again go more than 3-4 months without a hiatus.
Hmmm, that manga Cutie Mutie sounds good to me. I might check it out later today
@Aidan: But had you not alluded to that scene, I may have seen the cover of that manga and skipped over it.
@Aidan: I had a feeling, sort of, sad, I am intrigued to read more.
Hyping and warning are not the same thing.
Well with Aidan hyping up the horrors of cutie mutie I may as well glance at it to see what he' on about.
There are three manga with the name rec.
I am familiar with the artist for cutie mutie, she did that manga about the three kids dealing with gender/orientation issues.
Oh look Berserk is on Haitus again....
.....the sad thing is that it comes as expected now.
For reference the two I read were Cutie Mutie and Rec. Be warned, the first one goes to a rather uncomfortable level.
@Masky, Read two manga. One started lighthearted and then went to really dark territory. The other one looks like it's about a really dark subject but turned out to be something more lighthearted.
@Mario, Alright. Tested it now so it such be fixed. Try again.
@Aidan: Huh? What you read that turned dark/didn't turn dark? .-.
"too many answers selected for question 1! only 3 answers allowed!"
@Aidan: I still have the same issues. Weird
@Mario, Wasn't my intent. Try it now and you should be able to pick as many as you want.
@Aidan: I'm not allowed to vote more than 3 votes. Is it your intention Aidan?
Well that was weird. I read something that looked innocent but turned out to be really dark. Then something that looked really dark only to become innocent.
Yeah, nothing that interests me I see :D Like my strongest reaction to season preview was "Someone made isekai with smartphone? Really? REALLY? Thats best idea you had"
Ah Knighs and Magic, found that manga. It was boring enough for me to forget its name. Also besides being boring, I kinda find MC unlikeable since their only personality is that they like mechas and were a programmer before renicarnating as short bishie kid
Woo, time to vote stuff
@Kaiser: that movie In this Corner just getting more and more acclaimed huh? Thou I think it'a a type of movie that if you have high expectation for it you will likely be disappointed. It works best as a sleeper hit
As for cute monster girls, most of the time I don't find them cute at all. I know I'm being racist, but...
@Lenlo: I'm guilty with that cute girls genre, as i enjoyed K-On tremedously for example. Or If I have more time I'd follow Hinako Note this season ^^
They don't always adapt all that well or work as well outside of manga format, especially 4-komas.
*three
The only two of any interest were hidamari sketch, azumanga daioh and yuru yuri and that was largely down to being in the mood for them a few years ago.
@Mario: Personally, I have 0 interest in this Monster girls doing cute things subgenre, just like I have very little interest in the cute girls doing cute things major genre.
@Mario: As it turns out I DID read in this corner of the world. I'll also be seeing it next thursday.
@Kaiser: at this moment I'm very skeptical with the whole Monster girls doing cute girl subgenre, so I'm approachig Centaur with a caution. Of course, it all depends on how I feel after the first episode
@Kaiser: Happy End isn't as bleak aa his other works. But it's certainly Hanake's films, as it explores many of his favorite themes: the voyeurist of camera in his Benny's video, the detachment to the world and the underlying violence. Not his best thou but it's still very good
I think I'd be up for watching jigoku shojo, its been a long time since I watched the original two seasons and this one won't be as long, so it won't get as repetitive.
I voted centaur no nanami on the poll, think Mario could cover it.
@Mario: How did did you get on with Happy end? I heard its like a mix of his best works. Is it as dark and depressing?
I have vague memories of in the corner of the worlds manga, unless I'm mixing it up with something else.

Uchoten Kazoku Review – 94/100

(Note: Since psgels didn’t give his final review to the first season, this review is for the entirety of Eccentric Family. If I had to grade the second season alone, it’s 90/100). Doesn’t matter how you look at it, the Eccentric Family is a unique show, in a way it feels and tastes like no […]

Little Witch Academia TV Review – 80/100

The Little Witch Academia series has been something that’s a long time coming. Ever since Studio Trigger made the original Anime OVA back in 2013 I have been hotly anticipating the time when it would be fleshed out into it’s own anime series. I love both the original OVA and the enchanted Parade so this […]

Little Witch Academia – 25[Tree of Leaves]

I am glad that Trigger managed to pull through and bring a bombastic finale to this series. Admittedly there are some signs of cutting corners with some still frames that lingered for a little too long but otherwise this was a great episode to go out on. That said i do have my problems with […]

Seikaisuru Kado – 11[Wanoraru]

I hold many, many grievances with this turn Kado has taken but all things considered the show hasn’t become a trainwreck as I previously thought it would. The developments are rather forced but they at least work from a narrative standpoint. We have effectively transition to a story about the effects of pushing advancement and […]

Uchoten Kazoku 2 – 12 [The Red String of Fate]

Oh god, this climax. Other shows, take note. This is how you SHOUD NOT do on your final battle. How this show can jump from Yasaburou, Yaichirou fighting the Fellow Friday for their lives last week, to the conflict of Soun and Tenyama (that they eventually ended up in Hell again), to end with Benten […]

Tsuki ga Kirei – 11 [An Encouragement of Learning]

Tsuki ga Kirei again manages something I thought was difficult to achieve: it surpasses itself once more time. I was afraid that after the Kawagoe festival, there isn’t much left drama for the lovebirds now that Takumi and Chinatsu are all out of the picture; turn out that not only this episode enhances their relationship […]

ID-0 – 11 [Innocent Orbit]

I must say, despite my current worry from the direction ID-0 is heading towards the climax, we have another solid episode in our hands. Here’s one of the thing ID-0 continues to prove itself to be quite adept of: their pacing never drags. All the events progress gradually, and there aren’t many unnecessary scenes, if […]

Sakura Quest – 12 [The Dawn Guild]

Sakura Quest offers a pretty much Sakura Quest-esque this week, and I come to believe that this is a strong mini-arc to close-up the first half of its run. For the Tourism Board, the Manoyama Founding Festival will become their most ambitious project in term of scope they have encountered so far. Moreover, documenting the […]

Seikaisuru Kado – 10[Towanosakiwa]

So despite my aggravation with how the last episode ended, this episode starts of strong with how the universe was created and the anisotropic beings watching over it. The whole sequence was great and beautifully alien. That half of the episode explaining how Saraka ended up on end was actually very strong and despite the […]

Uchoten Kazoku Review – 94/100

Little Witch Academia TV Review – 80/100

Window Horses (2016) Movie Review – 87/100

Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon (Winter 2017) Review – 74/100

Scum’s Wish (Winter 2017) Review – 80/100

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Review – 90/100

When you have watched a large amount of anime you can come to assume that you have learned a lot about Japanese culture. Though I think it’s testament to how limited it is to view Japan through anime when you come to realize that despite watching so much, you have never heard of Rakugo. Rakugo […]

Youjo Senki Saga of Tanya the Evil Review – 80/100

Isekai stories have become somewhat of a tiresome genre as of late. There have been many stories of people being transported/reincarnated into other worlds where they shed their once pitiful exterior and become some legendary figure in another world. In most cases it’s trit, balant childish wish fulfilment and the stories often become tiresome when […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. (Winter 2017) Review – 83/100

Imagine my utmost amazement when a show that I wasn’t that confident on taking in the beginning turned out to be one of the most solid offering this season had to offer. ACCA is the most recent anime adaptation from mangaka Natsume Omo, which despite isn’t a household name, many of her works (6 titles […]

Demi-chan wa Kataritai (Winter 2017) Review – 62/100

Demi-chan is one of the newest addition to the monster girl subgenre, which usually feature a human helpless male lead get stuck in a harem of mythical creatures, in form of oversized boob girls of course (why usually those monsters are in female forms anyways? Aren’t they sexless?). In this case, we have monster girls […]