Posted by psgels on 4 September 2009 with categories: Phantom

Okay, the calm before the storm episode. Most of this episode was very quiet, and yet at the same time a lot of things happened, were built up and had me glued to the screen.

With the biggest event being Lizzie’s death. At this point, it wasn’t meant to be a shocking plot twist, but rather to symbolize how much has gone wrong with Drei. Throughout the series, she has always been the most solid and stable character: she had no hidden agenda, and instead she worked with a mindset with a healthy balance between friends and money. She was the one who watched Cal train in her Drei-form, and in this episode you can really see that now that she has found out what drove Cal to be an assassin, she really regrets to see what she turned into.

In this episode, the inevitable indeed happened that Drei was forced to shoot Lizzie. She really doesn’t care at all about her job, as long as she gets to kill Reiji, and in this episode we see her kidnap Mio, to prevent him from running away. In the end though, Helen takes the bait. The next episode is going to be awesome, I can feel it. But yeah, this episode still rocked. At this point, the characters can be drinking tea and I’m still going to love them.

Also, how large is this soundtrack anyway? This episode introduced yet two new tracks. I’m growing into more and more of a fan of Hikaru Nanase. At first I believed her to be some sort of one trick pony, with Noein’s soundtrack and all. But after watching this show, and finishing Zone of the Enders, I really have to take that back: Hikaru Nanase really is an amazing composer, but she does need a great show to draw out her full potential.
Rating: ** (Excellent)

1. Perrin4869 says:

Same way as Tokyo Magnitude will probably be my favorite of 2009, this one and Pandora Hearts will probably be my biggest disappointment of 2009. Pandora Hearts never really managed to deliver for me. I think my biggest problem is the cast. They’re probably the most uninteresting characters of the year. I hate Oz the most.
    As for this one, I think the plot twist with Ein ruined it for me. She should have stayed dead, and if she returned, they shouldn’t have pulled the “she’s been fooling everyone all along” plot twist, sorry, it’s just cheap. No matter what the reason… And the reason they gave was particularly cheap anyways. And then turning the setting into a school… that’s strike two.
    I think I managed to come to peace with Cal’s character though. Overlooking all that I mentioned above, this anime had its merits, but the flaws are too big for me to be able to recommend it to a friend, for example.

I can’t get enough of bashing those two animes, sorry!

2. revthemilk says:

@Perrin4869

People can have their ridiculous-tolerance-o-meter tweaked as they go along.

Those plot twists are reasonable (if events are not possible, beyond a shadow of doubt, then throw it into ridiculous realm. But as long as it’s not, it’s “reasonable”), strictly defined. But, forget about that, what people might say cheap, but hey, we buy it.

I’m a happy camper, not only for the plot, but, just like psgels, for the characters. Birdeye-view this season (and last one), and you might find next to this one, there’s only Bakemonogatari that (really) excels in character interaction.

3. Mentar says:

psgels: Funny that you mention it, I thought the same – two more interesting new musical scores. I wonder if we’ll get some more when the crap REALLY hits the fan (probably in 25)

4. Perrin4869 says:

@revthemilk:
    Well, but you see, the character interaction bugs me a lot too here. Helen is just not one bit credible. Her interaction with Reiji is very hard for me to accept. In just one episode she decided she’s siding with Reiji and running with him to Japan, stating that she can’t live without him. But she spent 3 years living without him, and prior the first time she ran with him he was just her partner, nothing more. And the whole stopping Reiji from killing from his own will thing is ridiculous, no real life person would do that, certainly not in the underworld. Her characterization is just terrible. And other than Reiji and Cal, all the other characters are flat.

An anime that has a lot of cheap developments can be fun to watch. Heck, I’m sticking to this one until the bitter end, and I watched all Code Geass. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that this is as low as Code Geass though, Code Geass is just an example of how extreme cheap developments can get. But that kind of fiction can’t be highly praised.

5. noir001 says:

@Perrin4869:

Elen didn’t take a bullet from Reiji to protect him but to protect SM. To Elen, SM is like a father figure, her world revolves around him and she will do anything for him. Just think, if your father and lover trying to kill each other would you not wanted to jump in between to stop them? People tend to underestimate SM influence on Elen and Cal as well but the truth is Elen has spent years with him ever since she was little (from the VN). In the game your job is to steal her heart away from SM and you would succeed if you have enough time but the two of you were caught too quickly and so Reiji only has partial influence on her and so she still cares for SM. The years that she stays away from Reiji are the time that her love for him really grows. In the VN, the last battle between her and Reiji, she was told by SM that she didn’t need to come back to him as this will be her last mission (he figures that the only way for her to beat Reiji is to go all out like a suicide mission plus he doesn’t need her anymore). So of course, the moment she realized that Reiji still cared about her, she would ran of with him. The VN is like a novel and the anime can’t cover the same amount of details, it will need more than 26 episodes to do that plus people will start complaining about too few actions in between episodes. Hope that will explain Elen’s actions better.

6. Reltair says:

The story and characters have far surpassed my expectations when I first saw this series. With all the buildup in this episode, I can’t wait to see what the finale holds in store for us!

7. Immelman says:

@Perrin4869
    I can see your point,but I disagree. Helen’s development is very strong, and on the contrary, she’s credible. Since the beginning, she killed with hiding her feelings so deep inside her, that she finished thinking it was normal. But then, Reiji rocked her world of belief, by showing her that, even if you hide your feelings to kill, you mustn’t become only a puppet. By seeing Reiji acted as he did, she began to hate her machine self, and wanted to escape with him.
    After that, I find also cheap the fact that they become japanese students out of the blue.

Speaking about the episode, it was an amazing one. I watched it with a very anxious feeling all along. The tension was very strong, and all the characters seem on the edge like us. Very good!

8. Perrin4869 says:

Funny, somebody commented on the post of the previous episode that the reason Ein stopped the bullet was to stop Reiji from killing out of his own free will, so I guessed I missed that when I watched the episode. But I downloaded the episode again, and indeed, I found no reference to that.
    But still, I would agree with you guys in that Helen’s development was strong if she didn’t stop the bullet! You are missing the fact that by stopping the bullet she is choosing SM over Reiji. And I don’t see any reason why those 3 years would make Helen develop any feelings for Reiji. Those 2 were colleges up until that point, there was nothing between them. Sure, he saved her life, and tried to escape with her, but nothing happened between them, and she was very indifferent. So suddenly deserting SM (even if SM told her it’s her last mission) is not very credible in my book… Betraying someone you took a bullet to the heart for for no good reason is just not good fiction.
    And if we’re fair and consistent about Cal and Helen, then Helen was also 3 years under SM’s influence, and probably was brainwashed to think that Reiji was wrong or something. That’s what everyone told me about Cal, and that’s the most reasonable thing that could happen.
    And in the end, why is it that only THIS anime feels so forced? Why doesn’t Guin Saga, or Fullmetal Alchemist, or Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 feel this forced?
    As it stands now, I’d give this series an 75. The flaws are just terrible, quiet a reduction of points. You know, those are the kind of flaws I expect over the top and fanservice shows to give us, just to create the biggest sensation (“Ohhh, Helen deflected with Reiji, I didn’t see it coming! Awesome!”), in the end it’s poor fiction. (By the way, Pulp Fiction was awesome! For some reason writing “poor fiction” made me want to reference that movie)

9. psgels psgels says:

Actually, Guin Saga has Remus’ sudden development from an utter wimp to an evil overlord. Tokyo Magnitude suddenly introduced an unrealistic plot twist with Mirai’s hallucinations, and Full Metal Alchemist’s first season turned Ed too much into a Gary Stu. All of those can be seen as forced. I can hardly recall any series that didn’t have forced moments in order to create a bit of drama; even Darker than Black didn’t escape this trope at times.

My opinion on Ein’s development is that it can’t be explained by logic. My suspicion is that when Zwei was about to shoot SM, she was still unsure of what she really wanted to do (after all, she had just been saved by someone who gave up everything just to be with her), and I think that it was her conflicting feelings for both SM and Zwei that prevented her from acting rationally (after all, it’s not like she’s a contractor of Darker than Black ;)). During that half-a-year timeskip, she had a bit more of an opportunity to sort out her feelings and come to the conclusions of who she really wanted to be with. You must also know that for Cal, SM had an added bonus that Cal was already mistrusting Reiji when he met her. All he needed to do was manipulate those feelings. For Ein, he was more like the only authority in her life, so when Reiji arrived this bond between the two was more easily broken.

10. Perrin4869 says:

I just finished watching the episode, and I can’t believe how utterly ridiculus some of the things the characters said were! Between Lizzie saying that she won’t forgive those who ruin the everyday life of others and that Shiga guy (if I’ve got the name correctly) getting all worked up about the memento of the guy he killed, my opinion about this series is as low as ever. And the teenage romance between Reiji and Mio just got on my nerves…

11. Perrin4869 says:

Ohh, I didn’t like the first FMA, either because I had already read the manga, or because it just wasn’t good. You won’t be hearing any praises about it from me at least. I was referring to the new one. And well, Remus’s development still has to be explained, and Tokyo Magnitude’s unrealistic development can be forgiven given the fact that in the realm of fiction you CAN use hallucinations to convey Mirai’s current state. Unrealistic or not, it’s a brilliant development.

And well, saying that Helen’s development can’t be explained by logic just doesn’t cut it. The fact remains that it was forced, and it was used to push the story in a new direction (and I resent the direction it took a lot). You can make any explanation you want, heck, even I can make up explanations! It still had a cheap feeling to it, and nothing can take it away.

I liked the DtB reference though :D

12. reverse says:

@ Perrin4869
    you say Ein should die on the first arc. I don’t see it, how she could die, just look Zwei he is alive even after being shot multiple time by Scythe. was it really a plot twist that Ein alive , hell no. everyone know that.

the whole concept this show suddenly change into school life, I thought that awesome. and as for this episode, it is an excellent buildup.

13. Perrin4869 says:

The fact that she survived doesn’t annoy me half as much as her suddenly bursting in tears deciding she wants to desert Scythe Master and run away with Reiji after one of the cheesiests monologues. But yes, I do find it a flaw, albeit a minor one, that she turned out alive, even though we thought she died for about 6 episodes. It of course ruins my suspense of disbelief.
    Oh, and I’m still taking bets that Claudia is still alive, if anyone is interested!

14. Snowolf says:

I’m really starting to get annoyed with Cal. Jesus, for one tiny little accident and she makes her life revolve around it. What a static, idiotic character. She was so awesome when she was naive and all. *shakes head sadly*

And if I’m correct, this doesn’t end in 24 episodes, right? 25 maybe? I don’t think they can squeeze all the action and aftermath into one twenty minute episode if you ask me.

15. windy says:

Perrin4869

The dialogues were not so ridiculous, when Lizzie said ” I won’t forgive those who ruin the everyday life of others”, I think she meant that she can’t tolerate that “normal” people got involved in their quarrels( the fact is that Mio is just an ordinary student, who doen’t have anything to do with their organisation, the mafia and all-time killers’life), which I don’t find stupid at all. And Shiga cared for his “aniki” and promised him to watch over Mio, their relationship wasn’t so simple, thaty’s why for me it is quite accurate that he’s so concerned about Mio’s fate, like he has to carry out his best pal’s last wish or something like that. I wouldn’t be surprised if he was to give his own life to protect her, maybe that’s a little too far.

16. Perrin4869 says:

I understand what Lizzie said very well, and it’s one of the most stupid things I heard. We saw Inferno ruining the lives of people countless of times, the couple from episodes 6-7 who didn’t give in to them comes to mind. Zwei killed the little boy, the wife, and in the end the leader was killed, and he wasn’t part of the mafia. And there are more examples, countless of them. Sorry, but that line was completely uncalled for.
    And as for Shiga, please, he’s a selfish bastard, he killed his best friend in cold blood, you want me to believe he would even care about a promise, let alone honor it? He’d kill her himself if he’d profit from it. Although if you think about it, he could just be angry that Inferno is attacking one of their own, and then he’d be getting angry the way any mafia leader would. I guess that line wasn’t so out of place… But still…

17. taka says:

I believe there are going to be 2 OST’s. OST 1 is already out and has 31 tracks; most under 3minutes in length. I’ve noticed a number of pieces missing including the rap song they play when Reiji is Phantom at Inferno after he thinks Ein is dead. Also the song they play when Ein speaks or is mentioned the haunting choral one. Both missing from the first OST made me sad :-(

18. meow says:

Just managed to catch up on phantom so i can finally participate. Been reading up on the comments here and thought I’d throw in my two cents.

Regarding Ellen’s behavior:
    Up to the end of the first arc, and even far into the 2nd arc up to the point where Reiji asks Ellen to kill him, I consider her still semi-brainwashed. She didn’t have the same hope-providing mentor that Reiji had in Claudia and more importantly, hadn’t regained her memories like Reiji did. All the things that Reiji did for Elen had a tremendous impact on her, which is why she ran with him in the first place, but don’t forget she’s been treated like a doll and possibly a sex slave by SM for a long time – when confronted with SM’s imminent death, her conditioned body probably acted on it’s own to block that bullet. Throughout the 2nd arc, she’s been faithfully following SM’s commands, as she accepts this as her existence. She still protects Reiji when she can though, for example when Gouda was about to shoot him at the train station in ep 17. She also warns him to escape but doesn’t go with him because she’s accepted her fate as SM’s puppet. When faced with the direct order to kill Reiji though, while she’s still in Ein-mode, I think it was her intention to die at Reiji’s hands. She’s forced to reveal her feelings openly when Reiji stops resisting completely, but I guess that created the opening in her heart to accept Reiji’s 2nd proposal to get her away from SM. Two years later, I’m hoping her brainwashing may have eroded enough that she’ll be able to face off against Scythe Master if necessary but I’m still not sure.

@Immelman: Regarding the cheapness of the two of them becoming high school students, I think you should have realised by now that it was all part of a master plan to use Mio as an insurance policy in case Inferno found them. Reiji cares for Mio as a friend but doesn’t have serious romantic feelings for her and is simply using their friendship to keep her in close proximity in case they need to use her against Inferno. (Actually she has a route in the game but in the end, they wind up separated.) Interesting coincidence that she happened to be in Reiji’s hometown though – and I’m a little surprised that Reiji didn’t run into any of his relatives living in the same town. This part I find a bit of a stretch. Still, Reiji going back to continue the life he had before he got caught by Inferno would be his wish if he could escape so I can totally buy this.

Regarding Shiga; Shiga was very loyal to his friend Gouda but was forced to choose between saving him and risking war between their group and the powerful Inferno organization. I think SM manipulated him into believing they were in serious danger. It wasn’t profit but simple survival that forced him to side with SM cos without SM’s assistance, Inferno would probably take the Gouda group out. I think also that the shot that killed Gouda might have come from SM and not him. So now, in Gouda’s memory, Shiga is sworn to protect Mio from all harm.

I was frustrated to see Cal shoot Lizzie. I think Cal would have let Lizzie kill her if she had decided to shoot before the watch song ended. On the other hand, she admitted that Lizzie was always kind to her so I’ll be disappointed if Cal really gave Lizzie a fatal wound even though Lizzie refused to shoot. Well, this show has a tendancy to have people get shot up badly and somehow survive.

It’s getting harder and harder to believe that the old Cal survived SM’s training as the OP would have us believe. And that idiot Reiji still refuses to explain himself or ask how Cal survived. At least tell her that he did go back for her but thought she died in the explosion. She probably wouldn’t accept it straight away of course but it’s better than getting resigned to a duel to the death.I really think Cal wants to be with Reiji but can’t understand why he didn’t come back for her and wound up half-believing SM’s lies and let herself get manipulated. Well, I guess she had no choice given the circumstances. How else was she going to survive in Inferno without Reiji?

I wonder how this show is going to end…it’s like watching a train wreck about to happen. My money’s on Ein’s true ending. Cal’s ending is cool but I’ll be disappointed if Reiji winds up sliding back to becoming an assassin with Cal. I’m still half hoping for a good happy ending where all three survive, maybe combining their talents to wipe out Inferno and free themselves once and for all so they can live in peace. I guess it’s too unrealistic/cliche for this type of flick?

19. Mentar says:

Perrin, you didn’t seem to understand very much about the past scenes, did you?

Ein: In the harbor scene, she defied SM because she refused to kill Reiji as ordered. At the same time she defied Reiji by jumping in between to save SM. What’s ambivalent or unclear about that? She wanted BOTH to live at that point, her master and her “other me”. At the end of chapter 2, she was _discarded_ by SM, tossed away as useless trash. However, Elen said that the thought that Reiji, her “other me” was still around and living, gave her life purpose. And this remains. Ein is focused on protecting Reiji. Simple as that.

Shiga: If you didn’t grasp that Shiga was _forced_ to kill Godoh to prevent an all-out gang war with Phantom, you really should go watch some Pokemon instead. Shiga valued his “aniki” Daisuke extremely highly, and protecting Mio is his top 1 priority.

Lizzie: Her point to Cal was “stop dragging unrelated civilians into this”, in other words, let Mio go. She also supported Reiji’s efforts in the past to KEEP CAL OUT OF THE UNDERWORLD. She saw Cal’s hatred and how it ate her from the inside. Remember what Lizzie told Cal? “You’re like burnt-out fireworks”. The hull is still there, but she’s scorched and dead inside. “There’s a line you shouldn’t cross, Cal”, and she meant it. She means good, she tries to protect Cal, as former Reiji’s protegee… and she’s not prepared to kill her.

It’s really not so difficult.

20. Perrin4869 says:

Well, to start off, it’s true I feel a bit lost about the whole conspiracy Claudia pulled off, I’d need to rewatch those episodes to comprehend it, I think. But I did grasp the fact that Shiga was “forced” to kill Godoh. And I put it in quotes because he wasn’t really forced, it was his decision in the end, he pulled the trigger. We’re talking about what was supposed to be his best friend, the person most significant to him in the whole world. In that situation, don’t you think that someone, even someone extremely rational (not contractor rational, but you get the idea) would rather stand up to that person and try to escape and figure the situation out? To just go ahead and kill him means he didn’t regard him as someone important at all! I couldn’t even begin imagining killing my best friend in a situation like that. Only someone heartless and selfish would do something like. And someone heartless and selfish wouldn’t care one bit about the well being of Mio. That’s my point.

As for Lizzie, again, she said she won’t forgive anyone who destroys the life of ordinary people. It doesn’t matter what her message to Cal was, if my memory is not extremely wrong, those were her words, and that’s the last thing someone like Lizzie can say. Inferno is an organization about ruining the life of normal people…

And finally, about Ein, it is as you say, but my point remains that it is completely cheap. It felt as if it was done for the sole purpose of letting the story move forward. It could have been much better executed. But I can hardly take it seriously when it downgrades to a monologue about “my other self” and other crap like that. And when we finally see her after watching her take a bullet, and believing she betrayed Reiji, watching her deflect without any build up whatsoever is bound to feel cheap. Heck, in Code Geass we had Susaku siding with Lelouche towards the end! I can make up reasons the same way you guys have been doing up until now, but none of you can deny it was the cheapest thing that could possibly happen. Now that I think about it, Phantom did something very similar to Code Geass – it also moved the plot to a very different direction towards the end, very abruptly. And in my opinion, the results were disastrous in both cases. In Code Geass it was beyond ridiculous, and in Phantom we are introduced to teenage romance, high school life, and even if they try giving it a reasonable meaning, by saying Mio was their target then sorry, Mio could as well have been the employee in any place, and thus avoiding the much dreaded high school setting. And heck, what’s the point of going to the same school as her anyways? When you think about it, you don’t need to befriend someone you want to use as leverage!

I’m sorry, I just can’t agree to all the praising you guys are giving to this anime. In my opinion it just doesn’t deserve it.

21. meow says:

Hm Perrin I have to say I agree with how you feel, especially with regards to Shiga. Out of curiosity, how did you feel about Lizzie executing Claudia? Lizzie and Shiga’s situations seem pretty similar – both killed their respective superior/best friends?

Shiga initially advised Godoh not to trust Claudia but Godoh refused him (rightfully). Later Shiga was shown a photo of Reiji standing over the body of Godoh’s murdered subordinate in the hotel, with SM persuading Shiga that Claudia was behind the deaths of that subordinate as well as the other 4 killed during the 5 million dollar heist (the one Cal witnessed where her sister got shot). (In fact, all 5 were killed by Ein under SM’s orders to sow unrest between the Godoh group and Claudia.) Did Shiga hold Godoh responsible for trusting Claudia and getting them into a war with Inferno and feel that the only way to end it honorably was to execute Godoh to atone for his mistake? Was this a yakuza honor thing?

Similarly, Lizzie is sent to hunt down Claudia. She’s goaded by someone on the phone over whether she can really do it to her friend and she replies that she would, as if it were a matter of personal pride or something. Lizzie joined Inferno to support Claudia; why would she kill Claudia for Inferno? Was it because she felt betrayed by Claudia? Shiga revealed to her that Claudia was the one that arranged the robbery of the cocaine a year ago that Lizzie defended in vain. Was she upset that everything had been kept hidden from her? Still she cried for Claudia before killing her. I think Claudia could have persuaded her to join her but she didn’t. She just knelt down and apologised and let herself get shot. To protect Claudia from Inferno? Especially now that Reiji wasn’t with her, did she also feel that there was no longer any chance of success for her?

This story is pretty darn complicated. I didn’t watch Lelouch so I can’t comment on what happened there but I think I can agree with how you feel. I had to rewatch alot of episodes to try to wrap my head around alot of things that happened. In a way, it might be more realistically dramatic if Reiji had killed Ein in their dual towards the end of the 2nd arc but I’m honestly glad Reiji finally got through to her and saved her. And as for the school thing – I think it symbolizes where Reiji’s life should have been if he hadn’t gotten involved with Inferno. Their peaceful life would have continued if not for SM’s interruption. Interestingly, it seems Reiji and Ein never got romantic in all their time together. I keep remembering the time Cal asked about the 2nd bedroom in their old apartment and whether it belonged to his girlfriend, to which Reiji replied that it wasn’t.

Btw, I’m trying to find out Reiji’s age throughout the game. I think I read it somewhere but i can’t find that info right now.

22. Perrin4869 says:

@meow:
    Hi, nice to know you agree with me :)

As a response to how I feel about the whole Lizzie and Claudia thing: wanna bet that she’s still alive? I honestly hardly believe she was killed, and if she really wasn’t it’ll be the cheapest development in the entire series, and that says something, unfortunately.

Your point about Shiga is a good one. It certainly makes sense that he’ll be angry with Godoh, I myself have been in multiple projects with some friends, and whenever there’s a screw up we get a bit angry at each other. But it’s all between friends, we don’t stop speaking to each other because of it, let alone kill each other. Sure, yakuza business is different, but Shiga and Godoh were good friends who stood by each other multiple times, I find it hard to believe 2 persons in such a relationship would kill one another. I must say it felt cheap when I watched Shiga kill Godoh, by that point I pretty much expected him to pull out a gun…

My problem is not exactly with the complicated story, but more with the turns it took starting the point that we realized Ein was indeed alive. And up until the point in which they went to high school I’ve been watching under the assumption that this is a story about adults, watching them living a high school life was so no fitting of anything that happened up until that point, and it was so unnecessary, it lowers the quality of the anime as a whole terribly… Like 20 points out of 100, I’d say, it’s that big a flaw. They could have lived peaceful lives as anything, but high school students is just a terribly big no-no…

And you didn’t miss much about Code Geass. It had an interesting concept and a nice start, but unlike Death Note for example, it decided to focus, again, on high school students, and to take the most unbelievable turns. It’s good for brainless drama though.

23. Camario says:

@ Perrin4869: I’d have to disagree with you about Code Geass to some extent but speaking only about Phantom, which is much more to the point, I think you’re definitely making a big deal out of something that can be and has in fact already been explained.

For me, while the best part of Phantom was probably the second arc…this development is plausible enough and the show has actually approached it in a manner that subverts the usual concept of anime school life as something sacred and protected from the outside world. If anything, I think it has helped show that Reiji can’t really run away from the past and begin a new life, no matter how much he’s trying to, without resolving things first.

It seems to me that a bit of part of the problem lies not with the show’s story but perhaps in your personal dislike of high school settings, period.

24. meow says:

@Perrin – No, i’m pretty sure Claudia is dead. I think her’s and Godou Daisuke’s deaths were some illustration of the mafia/yakuza code. Remember just after the Cal/Elen face-off at the church which Lizzie interrupts? She asked Reiji to live freely in Claudia’s stead too, as if she had passed on.

And regarding Shiga, it wasn’t merely about anger over a bad decision – it was about taking responsibility for a serious mistake done against the family. Think of it as your project breaking some serious law that leads to a death and having to hang up your friend up to dry for it – except in the underworld concept of law. Actually, while Shiga made Daisuke take responsibility for putting the Godoh Group in danger, I’m surprised Shiga himself didn’t punish himself. He didn’t just kill his best friend. He also killed the heir apparent and blood-related son of their big boss. At the very least, I would have expected him to be missing some fingers.

25. Perrin4869 says:

@Camario: It’s not a hate of high school settings at all, but a hate of high school setting where they just don’t belong. Can you think of a single thing that the high school setting contributed to Phantom or Code Geass or even Birdy the Mighty Decode? It almost feels as though producers feel somehow compelled to use high schools as a setting for no reason at all, without realizing that it just degrades the show to… well, the kind of things that you just don’t want to see in that kind of shows.
    On the other hand I enjoy watching Cross Game, and I will always have high regards for Ghost Hound. So high school setting should be used only in certain shows, otherwise it’s downright annoying. As an aside, do you think that you could have taken Death Note seriously if every episode it showed Light doing stuff high school students do? Sure it had it shared or problems, but at least the creators seemed to be good enough not to insert high schools.

@meow: Well, reasons to think that Claudia isn’t dead are aplenty. First of all, we never saw her body, and second of all the person who supposedly killed her was her best friend. So it’s very possible Claudia was speared, and that her death was staged. I hope not, of course, for the sake of the anime. If it turns out to be true it’ll be mostly disappointing and predictable.

And well, at least as I see it, if you really think of someone as a friend, that is, someone you feel confident with and enjoy hanging out with, you wouldn’t try to hurt him even for a mistake he made. If I screwed something I certainly don’t expect a friend to throw me to the dogs, but to actually try to figure the situation out with me. Shiga didn’t seem to feel any remorse after killing Godoh, so he certainly is a heartless and selfish bastard who couldn’t care less about Godoh. And by that logic he will kill Mio the very moment he feels compelled to do so…

26. meow says:

@Perrin – Unfortunately, the most obvious reason I believe Claudia to be dead is that Lizzie is still alive and still working with Inferno. Had she let Claudia escape, I think she would have gone with her, if not immediately then soon after. It would be tricky for Lizzie to fake Claudia’s death without Inferno knowing because given their history, Inferno would need absolute proof of her death to trust Lizzie again. But two years later, she’s still with Inferno. To me, that says there’s just no where else for her to be.

They didn’t show Claudia’s death too obviously because she was one of the possible heroines in the game and a sympathetic character trying to avenge her brother’s death by taking over or at least taking out the people who killed him, only to have the tables turned back on her by Scythe Master. She was also genuinely on Reiji’s side, even though she used him to her own ends. Her death really is pretty tragic. I do wish Lizzie had run off with Claudia, even if it went against her own principles, as living without her didn’t have much meaning anyway. And to think Lizzie would be killed by the same girl she’d been trying to look after, two years later.

Btw, that last part in episode 23, the gun with bloodsplatter on it, that’s Lizzie’s isn’t it? How did it wind up with Scythe? Is it meant as proof that Scythe is already well aware of Cal’s actions and is pulling the strings behind the final act?

“Shiga didn’t seem to feel any remorse after killing Godoh” I have to disagree with this statement here. There’s plenty of signs that he was in remorse. The last thing Shiga said to Godoh was that he truly loved him and he hesitated a long time before pulling the trigger…actually was it him or Scythe? Right after that, Scythe goes on to say that with this, Godoh’s innocence in the matter has been proven and with his help, war between Godoh and Inferno will be averted. Reassuring words and yet Shiga turns his gun on Scythe and declares to him that he wants to kill him so badly he can’t help himself. Outrage at Scythe’s cold words over the sacrifice of his friend? Later on the flight back to Japan, along with the coffins of his fallen comrades, Shiga calls out to his “Aniki” , while carrying the bottle of liquor they shared while in the States. You might want to rewatch a bunch of episodes – from when Shiga and Godoh first come to LA up to when Reiji and Ein escape, to get the full picture. But yea, I’m surprised that he would turn on Godoh quite so easily. I feel like there wasn’t enough development to get the audience to understand Shiga’s motivation to shoot Godoh. As far as I can tell, from Shiga’s perspective, Godoh’s only crime was trusting the wrong woman and got the Group into trouble with Inferno. Is sacrificing the heir to the Group worth avoiding direct confrontation with Inferno? Especially with their Phantom semi-out of the picture? But he did make a deal with Scythe. Did Scythe do something to make Shiga kill Godoh? Or was Shiga under orders from the head of the Godoh Group in Japan? (Mio and Daisuke’s father)

27. Tan-Tan says:

You know, the one thing that should be praised about Shiga, Ein, and Lizzie, is how humane they act regardless of their character. They were all put in a situation that somehow gave them one identity as a human being. This shows that no matter who you may be, a humane heart will pop up. Shiga chose to kill his aniki thinking it was to prevent more bloodshed (which he couldn’t explain to his aniki), Ein was torn and confused and so her irrationality almost caused her death (a connection with what she said in this episode), and Lizzie did never enjoy killing, but you can’t just point out, “hey why join Inferno in the first place then???” Look it’s complicated :P

Lastly, why did the high school setting bugged you too much? XD It’s a symbolism for a NORMAL LIFE. Maybe it doesn’t suit your choice, but it’s pretty perfect for the plot.

All in all, try not to view things based on your personal choice. A show will barely really satisfy you. Somehow, I got the idea you just skippd through episodes now, Perrin :P

28. Perrin4869 says:

@meow: Sure, there’re many reasons to think Claudia is dead… On the other hand, Reiji got shot multiple times, and Ein got shot on the heart, and both lived… Let’s face it, this anime is very good at ruining your sense of disbelief, that’s why I think Claudia may turn out to be alive. All you’re saying is true, and any series with a bit of self-respect will let her stay dead, but sadly Phantom has turned me down many times already for me to have faith in it.

As for the bloodsplatter, I truly don’t think it was it at all, I think it was a red light or something… You’re looking too much into it.

And I think you’re looking too far on Shiga as well. He’s just too unrealistic and unbelievable. Before killing Godoh we were shown images of the stuff they went through, and how they always stuck to each other at the tightest situations, and then suddenly we see the betrayal. And now he truly seems to regret it and care about Mio? He’s either a complete hypocrite, or the creators did a terrible job with him. At this point you can just guess which it is for me…

@The rest who think that I just “don’t get it”, or that I’m going by personal tastes or even did the unthinkable and skipped episodes, let me make it clear: I’m always up for a good story about Yakuza, or a good high school drama. But mixing them both… Seriously, what the heck are you thinking!? Sorry, we’re not talking about personal tastes, we’re talking about good and bad fiction here, and Phantom unfortunately chose the later just for the sake of continuation/fanservice. And yes, I’m pretty sure that Ein in a high school uniform is more than just representing a “normal life”. It’s just annoying that if a series like Code Geass does that kind of things, you guys all say how stupid it is, but if it’s Phantom, then it’s all symbolism! Why, because Code Geass is popular and Phantom isn’t?
    And Phantom had the same type of character development that Code Geass had. Susaku at the end of Code Geass = Ein at the end of the second arc, period. Thinking back, maybe it was the overly cheesy monologue Ein gave before bursting into tears that really marked the point in which I lost faith in Phantom… Sorry guys, I truly think this show became cheap, regardless of tastes. And I do get what’s going on, I’m not a moron… None of the other series I’m seeing right now feel even remotely as cheap as this one, so there must be a reason for it…

Hmm, so One Punch Man is getting a 2nd Season, but its being made by JC Staff instead of Madhouse.
A question: Do we need to watch Mahoutsukai no Yome OVAs before watching its first episode?
@Amagi: they better have a second season. The way it ends now I don't even have any motivation to write a full review. I'm not really optimistic over it having a second cour because if the producers were confident about its chance, they would've greenlit it already.
@SuperMario: Seems like the official radio confirmed PriPri might get a second season if the BD and/or game sales are good enough. - BD sales seem to be around 7k at the moment, but it looks like many only ordered them now, after the last episode, so it might be more.
@Aidan. Oh I did. Thank you for reminding me. I will write the review.
@Travlos, Just in case you missed it, there is a reply to you earlier in the chatbox.
Kakeguiri also ended. In the end the anime original ending was not really an ending, but just a fan pleasing excursion. The integrity of the manga story remains. It was a good adaption, and I liked it as it brought to life the parts of the manga that make it interesting to me. Also a great Opening and Ending. Good show.
And to sum it up. I think this was a great series. All its episodes were good.
I actually am ok with the PP ending. The 12 episode series is self contained. Sure there are many future potential stories to pursue, but I felt there was enough closure to make the series a good series. This is because the next step of the narrative is really so long term as being more LOGH material than PP (the story of the ascension of Princesss to the throne, and then the story of her reforms)
Alright, I found the read more tag. Now my tendency to write more than I should will be contained.
@Mario, Got to play catch-up but I am guessing it was very much a non ending?
Gosh, is that how Princess Principal end?
@KAiser: I really have a mixed feeling watching Assayas's films. I always find his works toe touch into pretentious area. Still have much more films from him I want to watch though so that opinion might change
@Kaiser: As Tears go By surprised me a little considering how straightforward it is. It's Wong's most by the book HK romance but it was one of his most commercial success. After this, the studio allowed him to do things he like and that was when he gone banana with his styles
not a fan. Can't even tell the difference between turtle and tortoise
Anonymous1420257
i like turtles
@Mario: I hadn't expected some of the dry/dark humour in sils Maria, I liked the themes/aging angst and its comments on hollywood in parts even if it needed to go a bit deeper. Stewart is a revelation in it. That X-men parody scene was fucking funny lol
@Mario: I actually kind of liked As tears go by. Mostly because of my experiences with hong-kong action flicks, much as I like John Woos films, the melodrama he tries to sell between the action never worked for me and left me just waiting around for the action to come round again. Wong was able to put genuine emotion into the hong-kong action film with this one.
@Aidan: Somehow. The problem is rather Haruki anyway and it's canonically part of her character. Kei becomes more likeable IMO and the events get much more complicated and/or serious plus there are a bunch of characters getting added to the protag team which makes the whole thing more dynamic. The best comes when some other character joins around the middle though.
Personally, I can digest the emotionless dialogue in the first place since I watch the series with the mindset that the main characters are innately "broken" in some ways.
@Aidan Hmm...one might consider the emotion level increases in main characters' dialogues for Sakurada Reset as baby steps depending on how dramatic one expects a character to act in other animes. (The emotions increase do exist though) There are certainly emotional scenes and characters do develop in ways where one can't just say they're 100% robots.
@Travlos, If you so wish then you can write a review for Bahamut virgin soul. Just let me know if you are up for it. If so I recommend writing it up on google docs, then when you have it done I can give your account contributer status and you can paste it into a post for us to look over and publish on the site. For screenshots our standard size is H240 X W138.
Did they ever fix that emotionless dialgoue issue they had going on?
You are not alone. The second half of Sakurada Reset made me so glad that I stuck with the series.
Oh and I totally forogt Reset ended now too. Not sure if I am the only fan of that but the whole second half was one of the better things I've seen this year.
Okay now thinking three others came into my mind, but that's still not much. A lot of series started interesting and turned out mediocre or cheap after a while.
Considering that I love Made in Abyss, PrinPrin, Fate/Apo (so far) and 18if too guess this season was better than I've expected. 2016 was kind of a let down imo, animewise. Off the top of my head I only remember Rakugo, Fune wo Amu and Bokudake I think.
I didn't expect to like Virgin Soul as much as I do. Especially the last ~5 episodes got me. The weird thing is that I was disappointed by S1 actually.
@Travlos: I don't mind if you do a guess review on Virgin Soul, but let's me check with other admins first.

On Virgin Soul, I'm not sure if I like the bew development. It suddenly does a 180 degree turn on King Charriot, which I don't feel rewarding.
Kakegurui will have an anime original ending. It might be better than the ongoing manga. We shall see. An enjoyable foray.

Virgin Soul is going for a nice explosive ending. If no one writes a review, I would be willing to write one.
*kind of
While its very much in the shadow of the first and the protaganist started out kind annoying, I kind of got caught up in the spectacle and sentimentality of gunbuster 2.
Urasawa is preparing a new manga
yes the episode where Julian watched the documentary was fun. The Caligula like character comes from one of the lesser episodes of the series, when Kircheis beats up some rebelling third rate noble in the Empire.
Goddammit, fail, it just changed the colour of the login name...
I declare in the red truth that the next anime I shall watch is Diebuster.
From what little I saw, I remember a Caligula like character in one episode.
I remember there's an episode where Julian just goes on Space Netflix and just watches a documentary. I actually liked that lol
yup, a LOGH that run like the Altair anime would be bad. It needs to show the sweep of history
@Anon, I actually liked that aspect. It made the history of the world feel real.
It's compressible, as there are many episodes of buildup, but that's where so many of the interesting details and depth of planning become evident. Some of those episodes read like a history textbook though, so we'll see how the new adaptation handles them,
*pleasantly
Tytania was ok.
On the Amakusa Shiro reference in the fate review, I've seen a film about him from the 50s , theres also an old josei manga where the protagonist ends up becoming essentially regarded as him.
Hi Kaiser. Supposedly this is a re-imagining of the original story. Thus independent of the OVAs (old serieis). What exactly re-imagining means is something I and you do not know. We shall see. But it does mean that you do not need to watch the old series to enjoy this one. The OVA was definetly more expansive than the novels. So my guess is they will stick to the novels.
There's another anime, called Tytania based on his novels but I haven't seen that series.
As in condensable in the way nothing much is lost? I assume there are fillers in the original?
I'm indifferent to the aesthetics of the new version. What I'm hoping for is that it will be accessible to newcomers and that I'll be able to jump on to the old series where the new one leaves off. I've seen very little of the original and it was a long time ago, is there any way the story is condensable?
The fact that they stayed away from the disgusting new manga is great. I am not too keen on the CGI ships, but they also did not rankle. It looks like it will honor the spirit of the old series, and I cannot ask for more. I am a massive LOGH fan. And the new video out gives me hope of revisiting one of the greatest sci-fi/historical settings out there. I am happy.
I hope they are using the old anime as a base and not the new Manga adaption. As that Manga adaption is seriously lacking.
@Anon, I like that they blinged up the space battles which is good because those things could get tiresome. But I really hate the design of Yang Wenli. They made him look so much younger and bishi. I don't think i could take this guy seriously if he started one of Wenli's signature hypothesis.
Thoughts on that new LOGH PV? My expectations were low, so I'm presently surprised. Obviously they made everybody pretty boys, and Mamoro Miyano is voicing Reinhard I believe. But art and animation actually looks pretty decent overall. It's a PV, and LOGH's best quality is it's story and characters, so we'll have to see if they remain faithful or not. But it's nice to see it get a visual overhaul.
By the way this site has the first chapters but check the other versions to find them.
@Mario, Indeed. It's also a pity that over half the couples in the manga were not featured. We only got a small taste of Patricia.
Or maybe I'll try to read the manga. The last time I checked it online, the site doesn't have its first few chapters
@Aidan: man, Tsurezure Children sure is sweet. Really sad to see it ends
So that's the end of Tsurezure Children.
....I'm gonna need a second season. Now.
....NOW GODDAMNIT! NOW!
As I said I understand the criticisms to RE:Creator, but ultimately I enjoyed most of the show. It could had been better, and it is a missed chance. But I have seen worse.
I gave up halfway through, there weren't even enough action scenes and those that were didn't justify waiting around for.
Could have at least delivered on the action but that was rendered pointless due to the majority of the cast turning good and Altair being a complete cheat character.
It would have been really fun to see characters discuss their stories with their creators or indulge in what our world has to offer but they really glossed over that part.
It really should have gone deeper into the whole meta aspect introducing anime characters to the real world. Like they did with Mamika's powers being ridiculously destructive when outside a kid friendly setting.
@Puran, I at least like the message of the final episode. But as for the show itself it was just missed potential on a lot of levels. I wanted Anime Genre battle royale and instead got a secondhand Shirobako with a crap shounen anime attached.
I have been forgiving of Anno as I've gotten older.
I also just re-watched gunbuster, I'd previously dismissed the ova after a few episodes when I was a teenager, I'd found it too slow, didn't have that issue with the 90 minute version I just finished. I've never see the sequels.
Ill have to finish Creators... at some point
I've been dipping back into the Lupin franchise, Gold of babylon was particularly screwball, kind of ridiculous comedy caper/adventure thing you just have to run with....turns out it was directed by a live action filmaker I especially like who made bizzare noir films in the 60s.
Puran
So that explains why Meteora had so much air time in Re:Creators. It's her story....

I hated the ending and I disliked the anime overall.
@Mario: It was a genuine surprise to see that Assayas decided to make a film framed around hentai =P
@Mario: I loved how incoherent demonlover was.
@Mario: The criticisms I'll give wind river, is a slight inconsistent performance from Renner and that very awkwardly inserted flashback scene.
@Kaiser: on Wind River, I agree it's a well-executed case of the week drama, although there are some plot pregressions that I don't get (how did they find out about the man's corspe again?). About Demonlover, man, the film gives me a chill down my spine. Heartless. And a bit misogynist.
@Kaiser: as much as I loved Wong (yeah I too prefer him over Malick), sometimes I do think Western cinema give him too much praise that sadly overshadow other Asian directors.
@Mario: Wong is important to me as a hong-kong filmaker, he offers something entirely different from the whole Woo/Lam Hong komg movies.
@Mario: On a more positive note Maggie Cheung did mention that she felt her early work with Wong was when she first truly became a proper actress.
@Mario: ....I had no idea he had such a sad background.
*investigation drama
@Kaiser: that film also marked/ signified a rather sad period of Hongkong showbiz. Leslie Cheung badically lived the live of the protagonist and commited suicide in 1997. His girlfriend on screen, during the filming, was kidnaped, raped and taken topless picture. The damnest thing is that everyone knowed the culprit but did nothing, and in the press it was just deemed as "kipnapped and assaulted"
@Mario: Wind river was a big surprise for me, just goes to show that with the right execution an ordinary police drama movie can be elevated higher.
@Mario: Thats the interesting thing, tracking a directors career.
Just binge watched the new dominion tank police ovas , admittedly these are kind of reptitive and extremely silly but its hard to hate on something so shamelessly fun that made me feel like a child again.
@Kaiser: you said it there. DoBW is rather raw and unpolished but that's one of the reason why I am drawn to it more compare to his other works.
In all honesty, it would be nice to finally see a continuation after fusion as all games after that have just been adding chapters in-between.
Finally I wonder, if Metroid Prime 4 will definitely branch out of the main Metroid's continuity. It's curious how an interquel subseries is still going to add things in between the first and the second entries in the main franchise.
AidanAK47 - I think is nice we can see both takes. Especially since neither one despite a few qualms are still very solid entries for this franchise. I just hope Metroid moves forward, as IMO this is the only game that really needed a facelift do to the heavy limitations of the gameboy. And I hope the secret gallery at the end is teasing how the producer plans to move the plot forward.
I thought it might be like that but it's good to know they are at least on a close level. I didn't really want Samus Returns to replace AM2R as the "Definitive" version of Metroid 2. Mostly because a lot of love was put into AM2R andit came at a point when it felt Nintendo didn't give a crap about Metroid.
Like Zero Mission there's something added to Samus Returns but I'll just leave it at that.
I think both have strong points. Samus Returns have better boss battles, gameplay mechanics and more intense action pieces. AM2R IMO has more atmosphere, takes advantage of elements Nintendo don't even try like the Federation subplot, and the ending portion narratively has more heart in AM2R, while in Samus Returns it feels mostly like "the final level".
I also did got lost a couple of times in Samus Returns and aside from the big water section in AM2R, the latter is more linear game.
I think the controls in Samus Returns bring more to the table though. The 360 aiming makes for better ways to shoot enemies and some of the bosses take advantage of that. If it weren't for the 3DS giving hand cramps because you're holding L and R at several points it'll be completely the most ideal way to play.
AidanAK47 - AM2R is very good, I think it has the advantage that because it uses sprites IMO backgrounds and enemies are more vibrant and easier to appreciate. The Federation soldiers are better executed in AM2R and that secret section with the ship is very eery.
@Vonter, How does it stack up to AM2R? I bought it and am still waiting on it to be delivered but I have the feeling that AM2R would be the better game when comparing.
I took me 12 hours to 100% and I've heard the best ending is beating it in less than 4 hours. I think unlike Zero Mission item percentage don't matter, it's mainly to unlock an art gallery.
My main criticism is this being a 3DS game. Small enemies can be hard to see or appreciate. And I think the 3DS wasn't made for heavy action packed games like this or Smash Bros. I got the rubber from the circle pad come off in two occasions. Also unless there was something big in the background, several areas felt lacking in detail. Still Samus and the bosses look good.
In terms of difficulty, the game has the enemies packing more damage than in other 2D Metroids. Is difficult in the sense than you can't tank damage as in other iterations, you have to be aware of enemy behavior and bosses mainly get easier do to familiarizing with their patterns, since I did die a lot each time I faced a new boss. And got used to kill them faster as I went along.
Ok, so I beat Samus Returns. It's quite good. Unlike Fusion that had dialogue at midst the gameplay. Samus Returns only has a prologue of exposition and any cutscenes mainly accentuate the reactions of Samus confronting a new enemy. The level design is dense, despite having isolated areas like in Fusion and the original Samus Returns, each area is very mazelike.
@Mario: =< Awww I kind of like demonlover actually despite all its flaws, it had great sound design and had this cold, clinical, un-nerving mood to it.
@Mario: Days of being wild does feel a bit un-realized/un-polished/rough compared to his other work definitely but its probably the rawest I've seen from him and that has its appeal.
@Mario: Haven't seen farewell my concubine come to think of it. Regarding the scifi element I felt I embraced it more further into the film when it started to intermingle more.
While I am more forgiving toward Malick's recent films than most, that decline in quality means I have to pick Wong.
by the way in RE:Creators we probably will be getting a future series focusing on the hunt for Magane :p Meteora probably playing the role of detective. I also bet her novel will be wordy and heavy in exposition :p
i.e his end game might had been a cross-species revolution against him anyway. We will see
In Bahamut Chris proves to not be totally evil, but he is totally crazy. That said I am seeing one of my hunches getting supported, the hunch was that his cruelty towards daemons was with the purpose of bringing them down enough that they would be willing to work with humans as euals (As they are in Jean's army) and thus via that create a more unified world. I
RE: Creators has come to its end. I know the problems everyone has with it, and while it failed to raise to the level of exceptional show, I loved it. As I said, it had been years since a show kept me so excited episode after episode. They blew it at some point, but ultimately for me this is an en-joyful show, and one I would happily binge watch in the future again.
@Kaiser: question for you though, between these two directors, which one do you prefer: Wong Kar-Wai or Terrance Malick?
@Kaiser: if you enjoyed both 2046 and In the Mood for Love, by all mean check out Days of Being Wild. The trio forms a loose trilogy and Days of Being Wild was the first film that Wong began his unique unconventional style. It's one of my personal favorite of Wong and it's a chance for you to watch the late Leslie Cheung acted (you might watch him already in Farewell My Concubine)
@Kaiser: 2046 is indeed a passionate film, and one of his best looking film. He tried something different in 2046 too, experimented with scifi (one of the best part in the film for me)
@Kaiser: it's stritcly Wong Kar Wai's romance we're talking about, since I don't find the rest of Chinese take on romance that interesting. Romance or melodrama is one of his main theme throughout his career
@Mario: It was slightly overly long however.
I've also seen chungking express, in the mood for love and fallen angels. I think this Chinese take on romance is really clicking with me.
@Mario: I also thought it was a very passionette film and I love how Kar-wong-wai uses the music in it. I also think its one of his best looking films.
@Mario: I had a look at that Chinese film 2046, very effectively melancholic take on fleeting relationships while also successfully being quite sensual while staying classy and without ever showing too much. Tony Leung and Maggie Cheung are two beautiful people =P
for those who still want to catch up with 18if, episode 11 has a huge recap, while wrapping up the show with a new overarching plot. Hopefully they don't pull another Matrix here
SuperWooper
It's shounen-y for sure. The competitions have been my least favorite parts of the show so far. If you're still watching, you might appreciate it more once the Tenpei Cup is over.
Damn Ballroom looks so good. But I really can't enjoy it despite that I want to. It has too many of these typical shounen moments and plot points I can't stand.
Omae wa mou shindeiru
Mononoke is actually what made me find Ayakashi. Also a good show.
Regarding Ayakashi, I only watched the Mononoke segment
"It was a long, long trip, and we're coming finally to the end of the journey. Thank you, Manoyama and Chupacabra. And thank you, 5 EURO" - Sandal-san.
Ayakashi was great for me Kaiser. I enjoyed my time with it
Vonter212
@AidanAK47 - The hard aspect has been commented in several reviews with bosses being able to easily kill you. (Although in my experience it might be just getting a pattern). In terms of length most 2D games can be beaten under 3 hours. This one seems to clock at at least 6 to 15 if you want to collect everything. Then again, we'll see in subsequent playthroughs.
`@Vonter. It's out now but I don't remember seeing anyone claim it's the longest hardest entry 2D wise.
Going to watch new dominion tank police next and read violence action and Oddman 11.
It took me years to get round to it, but I finally watched Ayakashi and as expected like most anthologies, again its mixed, the first is a solid ghost story that improves after a weak start, but that third one with the cat spirit was great, really liked how experimental that looked.
Soo a new Metroid comes out this week. It is said, it's the longest, hardest entry in regards to the 2D iterations. Still not as great as Super, and depending on your fanaticism it might or not be as good as Zero Mission.
But they didn't pull that scene off too well. It's just... unmemorable. In fact the whole show is very unremarkable. Now only 1 episode left I might as well finish it but I won't give it a full review
Koi to Uso has been disappointing so far. Episode 10 featured the sequence that i was looking forward the most in the manga: the former classmate tells the one sided crush of the main girl from her POV. For a romance that contrived and manipulated like this one, hearing this from the third person's perspective prove to be more powerful
@HelghastKillzone - Good luck with that. I almost had my car's engine damaged since it has been raining heavily where I live. Had to ask for help the next day to pull it out of mud. Still not as bad as the other three cars that did get stuck in the water.
HelghastKillzone
Dealing with work and the total loss of my car really sucks at the moment so I'm quite tied up for this week.
I do agree to a point, but to be frank all the episodes of Princess Principal to date have been so solid I have a hard time deciding. Episode 5 though was still the best from a holistic point (action, direction, music etc) was the one introducing Chise
Agree. Dorothy has the biggest heart out of all the spy girls. Also "help" that her episodes are all melodramatic.
This episode of PrinPrin showed again that Dorothy is the best character by far. Not just herself but her episodes as well are better written than the rest if you ask me.
It just hit me. The characters in Princess Principal may be very well working for IngSoc :p
@Kaiser, in the seven chapters it's only really two of them that contain dark shocking content. Chapter three being the biggest one in that regard.
@Aidan: I read a comment where someone said subahibi shocked them more than saya no uta. While I haven't played it yet, I have seen some of a letsplay...it lleft me thinking....how many hours until this actually gets good/truly unhinged .
After Reading SubaHibi, Made in Abyss's dark turn didn't shock me too much. Maybe I just got desensitised. I will have a review of SubaHibi hopefully up in a week though to clarify my feelings on it after just finishing it, It was interesting but disappointing.
well, well. Both Made in the Abyss and Virgin Soul do not hold back. Grim! RE:Creators is warping up. Comparing with these other shows I can fully appreciate the problems people have with it. But still I am glad I am sticking to the end. Altair's voice actor by the way did great.
@Helghast, And Kings Field was the Demon Souls before Demon Souls came out.
having binge watched several of this season's shows I would say Princess Principal is the most rounded. Made in Abyss is good. Kakegurui and The Reflection as SuperMario said will depend on your tastes. There is also Shouko no Altair. You will like it if you liked Tanya Saga of Evil, or Legend of Galactic Heroes, or Arslan Senki or manga like Vinland Saga, Gunka no Baltzar, and especially Historie
Jesus...me watching this weeks Made in Abyss https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ogzsWhZcmM
HelghastKillzone
So... Demon Souls was the Dark Souls before Dark Souls came out.
@anon1385426: the safest bets aside from Made in Abyss are Welcome to the Ballroom and Princess Principal. Kakegurui and the Refection are for more acqurired taste
Aside from Made in Abyss, what's the best anime this season?
@KT, the pacing and the framerate early on are my two biggest issues. Later on the story starts to get abit more engaging, and they start doin things I didnt expect, but the pacing is still there. Some akward pauses.
Look, Berserk and Dark Souls are both amazing. But I only have 3 Dark Souls games, and 38 Berserk volumes. Im clearly biased
I sat down and watched the first 4 episodes of The Reflection. It is an interesting attempt, and I can see the people making it having fun doing so. But I did notice a pacing issue. For some reason the episodes felt like they dragged a bit too long.
Dark Souls is the Berserk of Video Games.
Dark Souls really went all Berserk if you ask me

Kakegurui – 12[Gambling Woman]

It’s been awhile since I seen an anime original ending and honestly I was rather dreading it when I started this episode. Anime original endings don’t have a good track record as of course attempting to tack on an abrupt conclusion to an ongoing story is not going to turn out swimmingly. Even if I […]

Made in Abyss – 12[The True Nature of the Curse]

Today’s topic is the curse of the abyss alongside much needed revenge against the creature that put Riko in a bad spot. We get a rare glimpse of the topside village where one of the orphan kids we saw previously is deathly sick on his birthday. This caught me off guard as I believe I […]

Katsugeki Touken Ranbu – 13 [Katsugeki]

Welcome to the final week of Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu, where the plot is rushed and the art is at its best. Lets jump in. Ranbu opens this week with the title card, skipping the OP. Looks like they want all the time they can get. Picking up where they left off, Ranbu has Horikawa go and […]

Princess Principal – 12 [Case 24 Fall of the Wall]

Is that seriously how they end Princess Principal? Nothing is resolved at all except Ange breaks down the wall around her heart to welcome her team to the Casablanca’s paradise. Everything screams “second season” and with the sales aren’t that impressive from what I gathered, will they ever get one? It comes hard for me […]

18if – 12 [The Witch Wars]

Let me just say, I’m all in favor for 18if having a proper closure, but I’m wholly disappointed with what happening right now. This episode is just all over the place. For instance, I’m just as glad as the next person to see all the Witches gathering back in real life to help Haruto, but […]

Classroom of the Elite – 11 [What People Commonly call Fate is Mostly their Own Stupidity]

So suddenly, without mentioned at any point before, Horikita can suddenly kicks ass? Or that Horikita has been sick ALL THIS TIME? Or that Horikita still can kick some ass while being sick all this time? Since when the Class-D boys shrink into only Ayanokouji, Hirata and the 3 idiots? On that note, where is […]

Ballroom e Youkoso – 11 [Evaluation]

And so the Tenpei Cup comes to a close at last. It took five episodes to get from the first round to the awards ceremony, and not all parts of the competition were created equal, but I’m happy that my girl Mako managed to claim the Ballroom Queen award. After she received the trophy, there […]

Kakegurui – 11[The woman who bets her life]

So…what am i supposed to say here? Yumeko wins, the treasurer loses and now the show looks to be teasing a matchup between the Student council President and Yumeko. I would say it’s a good thing this shows end looms near as my interest in it has just about petered out. I love seeing smug […]

Made in Abyss – 11[Nanachi]

It’s been an issue I have wanted to bring up before but the previous episode recaps of this series are rather long. Today’s was the biggest offender as the first three and a half minutes was just footage from the previous episode. While these kinds of recaps are handy for those watching weekly to catch […]

Sakura Quest (Summer 2017) Review – 79/100

Conceived as a third installment in a loose P.A Works trilogy about young adult girls in working environment, Sakura Quest both knows its target audience well, and has some big shoes to fill. After all, many have considered Shirobako an install classic for good reasons. As it turns out, Sakura Quest is more on the […]

Castlevania Season 1 Review – 70/100

Upon hearing that Castlevania would be getting an animated TV series my first reaction was that of unpleasant surprise. Part of the reason was because of the video games infamous history with adapting their stories to other mediums but my main reason was that being familiar with the Castlevania games, I knew the story was […]

Tsuki ga Kirei (Spring 2017) Review – 88/100

It’s hard for me not to go overboard on Tsuki ga Kirei: out of all the show I’ve followed this season, I resonated the most to this one; but even when I’m judging this show objectively, Tsuki ga Kirei is one of the most perfect one, in a way that it achieved exactly what it […]

Seikaisuru Kado Review 51/100

Seikaisuru Kado was a title which caught my attention for a number of reasons. For one it’s visuals showed not a single teenager in sight and a cast mainly consisting of working adults. Another is that it deals with a premise not often tackled in anime, Philosophical Science Fiction. The story features an alien being […]

ID-0 (Spring 2017) Review – 81/100

Here comes one of the most under-appreciated anime of this Spring season. ID-0 has many hassles that keeps viewers away from watching it: Netflix exclusive, full CG animation and a plot that just plain weird and a bit incomprehensive at first view. I originally took it as nothing more than fun spooky little-seen show until […]

Grimoire of Zero (Spring 2017) Review – 77/100

I remember, back in our first impression of this series, Aidan remarked that Grimoire of Zero isn’t your typical LN-adaptations, but he didn’t know what to make of it. To be honest, after watching an entire cour, I’m still unsure what to make of it myself. This show has some serious flaws, yet despite all […]

Uchoten Kazoku Review – 94/100

(Note: Since psgels didn’t give his final review to the first season, this review is for the entirety of Eccentric Family. If I had to grade the second season alone, it’s 90/100). Doesn’t matter how you look at it, the Eccentric Family is a unique show, in a way it feels and tastes like no […]

Little Witch Academia TV Review – 80/100

The Little Witch Academia series has been something that’s a long time coming. Ever since Studio Trigger made the original Anime OVA back in 2013 I have been hotly anticipating the time when it would be fleshed out into it’s own anime series. I love both the original OVA and the enchanted Parade so this […]

Window Horses (2016) Movie Review – 87/100