Posted by psgels on 4 September 2009 with categories: Phantom

Okay, the calm before the storm episode. Most of this episode was very quiet, and yet at the same time a lot of things happened, were built up and had me glued to the screen.

With the biggest event being Lizzie’s death. At this point, it wasn’t meant to be a shocking plot twist, but rather to symbolize how much has gone wrong with Drei. Throughout the series, she has always been the most solid and stable character: she had no hidden agenda, and instead she worked with a mindset with a healthy balance between friends and money. She was the one who watched Cal train in her Drei-form, and in this episode you can really see that now that she has found out what drove Cal to be an assassin, she really regrets to see what she turned into.

In this episode, the inevitable indeed happened that Drei was forced to shoot Lizzie. She really doesn’t care at all about her job, as long as she gets to kill Reiji, and in this episode we see her kidnap Mio, to prevent him from running away. In the end though, Helen takes the bait. The next episode is going to be awesome, I can feel it. But yeah, this episode still rocked. At this point, the characters can be drinking tea and I’m still going to love them.

Also, how large is this soundtrack anyway? This episode introduced yet two new tracks. I’m growing into more and more of a fan of Hikaru Nanase. At first I believed her to be some sort of one trick pony, with Noein’s soundtrack and all. But after watching this show, and finishing Zone of the Enders, I really have to take that back: Hikaru Nanase really is an amazing composer, but she does need a great show to draw out her full potential.
Rating: ** (Excellent)

1. Perrin4869 says:

Same way as Tokyo Magnitude will probably be my favorite of 2009, this one and Pandora Hearts will probably be my biggest disappointment of 2009. Pandora Hearts never really managed to deliver for me. I think my biggest problem is the cast. They’re probably the most uninteresting characters of the year. I hate Oz the most.
    As for this one, I think the plot twist with Ein ruined it for me. She should have stayed dead, and if she returned, they shouldn’t have pulled the “she’s been fooling everyone all along” plot twist, sorry, it’s just cheap. No matter what the reason… And the reason they gave was particularly cheap anyways. And then turning the setting into a school… that’s strike two.
    I think I managed to come to peace with Cal’s character though. Overlooking all that I mentioned above, this anime had its merits, but the flaws are too big for me to be able to recommend it to a friend, for example.

I can’t get enough of bashing those two animes, sorry!

2. revthemilk says:

@Perrin4869

People can have their ridiculous-tolerance-o-meter tweaked as they go along.

Those plot twists are reasonable (if events are not possible, beyond a shadow of doubt, then throw it into ridiculous realm. But as long as it’s not, it’s “reasonable”), strictly defined. But, forget about that, what people might say cheap, but hey, we buy it.

I’m a happy camper, not only for the plot, but, just like psgels, for the characters. Birdeye-view this season (and last one), and you might find next to this one, there’s only Bakemonogatari that (really) excels in character interaction.

3. Mentar says:

psgels: Funny that you mention it, I thought the same – two more interesting new musical scores. I wonder if we’ll get some more when the crap REALLY hits the fan (probably in 25)

4. Perrin4869 says:

@revthemilk:
    Well, but you see, the character interaction bugs me a lot too here. Helen is just not one bit credible. Her interaction with Reiji is very hard for me to accept. In just one episode she decided she’s siding with Reiji and running with him to Japan, stating that she can’t live without him. But she spent 3 years living without him, and prior the first time she ran with him he was just her partner, nothing more. And the whole stopping Reiji from killing from his own will thing is ridiculous, no real life person would do that, certainly not in the underworld. Her characterization is just terrible. And other than Reiji and Cal, all the other characters are flat.

An anime that has a lot of cheap developments can be fun to watch. Heck, I’m sticking to this one until the bitter end, and I watched all Code Geass. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that this is as low as Code Geass though, Code Geass is just an example of how extreme cheap developments can get. But that kind of fiction can’t be highly praised.

5. noir001 says:

@Perrin4869:

Elen didn’t take a bullet from Reiji to protect him but to protect SM. To Elen, SM is like a father figure, her world revolves around him and she will do anything for him. Just think, if your father and lover trying to kill each other would you not wanted to jump in between to stop them? People tend to underestimate SM influence on Elen and Cal as well but the truth is Elen has spent years with him ever since she was little (from the VN). In the game your job is to steal her heart away from SM and you would succeed if you have enough time but the two of you were caught too quickly and so Reiji only has partial influence on her and so she still cares for SM. The years that she stays away from Reiji are the time that her love for him really grows. In the VN, the last battle between her and Reiji, she was told by SM that she didn’t need to come back to him as this will be her last mission (he figures that the only way for her to beat Reiji is to go all out like a suicide mission plus he doesn’t need her anymore). So of course, the moment she realized that Reiji still cared about her, she would ran of with him. The VN is like a novel and the anime can’t cover the same amount of details, it will need more than 26 episodes to do that plus people will start complaining about too few actions in between episodes. Hope that will explain Elen’s actions better.

6. Reltair says:

The story and characters have far surpassed my expectations when I first saw this series. With all the buildup in this episode, I can’t wait to see what the finale holds in store for us!

7. Immelman says:

@Perrin4869
    I can see your point,but I disagree. Helen’s development is very strong, and on the contrary, she’s credible. Since the beginning, she killed with hiding her feelings so deep inside her, that she finished thinking it was normal. But then, Reiji rocked her world of belief, by showing her that, even if you hide your feelings to kill, you mustn’t become only a puppet. By seeing Reiji acted as he did, she began to hate her machine self, and wanted to escape with him.
    After that, I find also cheap the fact that they become japanese students out of the blue.

Speaking about the episode, it was an amazing one. I watched it with a very anxious feeling all along. The tension was very strong, and all the characters seem on the edge like us. Very good!

8. Perrin4869 says:

Funny, somebody commented on the post of the previous episode that the reason Ein stopped the bullet was to stop Reiji from killing out of his own free will, so I guessed I missed that when I watched the episode. But I downloaded the episode again, and indeed, I found no reference to that.
    But still, I would agree with you guys in that Helen’s development was strong if she didn’t stop the bullet! You are missing the fact that by stopping the bullet she is choosing SM over Reiji. And I don’t see any reason why those 3 years would make Helen develop any feelings for Reiji. Those 2 were colleges up until that point, there was nothing between them. Sure, he saved her life, and tried to escape with her, but nothing happened between them, and she was very indifferent. So suddenly deserting SM (even if SM told her it’s her last mission) is not very credible in my book… Betraying someone you took a bullet to the heart for for no good reason is just not good fiction.
    And if we’re fair and consistent about Cal and Helen, then Helen was also 3 years under SM’s influence, and probably was brainwashed to think that Reiji was wrong or something. That’s what everyone told me about Cal, and that’s the most reasonable thing that could happen.
    And in the end, why is it that only THIS anime feels so forced? Why doesn’t Guin Saga, or Fullmetal Alchemist, or Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 feel this forced?
    As it stands now, I’d give this series an 75. The flaws are just terrible, quiet a reduction of points. You know, those are the kind of flaws I expect over the top and fanservice shows to give us, just to create the biggest sensation (“Ohhh, Helen deflected with Reiji, I didn’t see it coming! Awesome!”), in the end it’s poor fiction. (By the way, Pulp Fiction was awesome! For some reason writing “poor fiction” made me want to reference that movie)

9. psgels psgels says:

Actually, Guin Saga has Remus’ sudden development from an utter wimp to an evil overlord. Tokyo Magnitude suddenly introduced an unrealistic plot twist with Mirai’s hallucinations, and Full Metal Alchemist’s first season turned Ed too much into a Gary Stu. All of those can be seen as forced. I can hardly recall any series that didn’t have forced moments in order to create a bit of drama; even Darker than Black didn’t escape this trope at times.

My opinion on Ein’s development is that it can’t be explained by logic. My suspicion is that when Zwei was about to shoot SM, she was still unsure of what she really wanted to do (after all, she had just been saved by someone who gave up everything just to be with her), and I think that it was her conflicting feelings for both SM and Zwei that prevented her from acting rationally (after all, it’s not like she’s a contractor of Darker than Black ;)). During that half-a-year timeskip, she had a bit more of an opportunity to sort out her feelings and come to the conclusions of who she really wanted to be with. You must also know that for Cal, SM had an added bonus that Cal was already mistrusting Reiji when he met her. All he needed to do was manipulate those feelings. For Ein, he was more like the only authority in her life, so when Reiji arrived this bond between the two was more easily broken.

10. Perrin4869 says:

I just finished watching the episode, and I can’t believe how utterly ridiculus some of the things the characters said were! Between Lizzie saying that she won’t forgive those who ruin the everyday life of others and that Shiga guy (if I’ve got the name correctly) getting all worked up about the memento of the guy he killed, my opinion about this series is as low as ever. And the teenage romance between Reiji and Mio just got on my nerves…

11. Perrin4869 says:

Ohh, I didn’t like the first FMA, either because I had already read the manga, or because it just wasn’t good. You won’t be hearing any praises about it from me at least. I was referring to the new one. And well, Remus’s development still has to be explained, and Tokyo Magnitude’s unrealistic development can be forgiven given the fact that in the realm of fiction you CAN use hallucinations to convey Mirai’s current state. Unrealistic or not, it’s a brilliant development.

And well, saying that Helen’s development can’t be explained by logic just doesn’t cut it. The fact remains that it was forced, and it was used to push the story in a new direction (and I resent the direction it took a lot). You can make any explanation you want, heck, even I can make up explanations! It still had a cheap feeling to it, and nothing can take it away.

I liked the DtB reference though :D

12. reverse says:

@ Perrin4869
    you say Ein should die on the first arc. I don’t see it, how she could die, just look Zwei he is alive even after being shot multiple time by Scythe. was it really a plot twist that Ein alive , hell no. everyone know that.

the whole concept this show suddenly change into school life, I thought that awesome. and as for this episode, it is an excellent buildup.

13. Perrin4869 says:

The fact that she survived doesn’t annoy me half as much as her suddenly bursting in tears deciding she wants to desert Scythe Master and run away with Reiji after one of the cheesiests monologues. But yes, I do find it a flaw, albeit a minor one, that she turned out alive, even though we thought she died for about 6 episodes. It of course ruins my suspense of disbelief.
    Oh, and I’m still taking bets that Claudia is still alive, if anyone is interested!

14. Snowolf says:

I’m really starting to get annoyed with Cal. Jesus, for one tiny little accident and she makes her life revolve around it. What a static, idiotic character. She was so awesome when she was naive and all. *shakes head sadly*

And if I’m correct, this doesn’t end in 24 episodes, right? 25 maybe? I don’t think they can squeeze all the action and aftermath into one twenty minute episode if you ask me.

15. windy says:

Perrin4869

The dialogues were not so ridiculous, when Lizzie said ” I won’t forgive those who ruin the everyday life of others”, I think she meant that she can’t tolerate that “normal” people got involved in their quarrels( the fact is that Mio is just an ordinary student, who doen’t have anything to do with their organisation, the mafia and all-time killers’life), which I don’t find stupid at all. And Shiga cared for his “aniki” and promised him to watch over Mio, their relationship wasn’t so simple, thaty’s why for me it is quite accurate that he’s so concerned about Mio’s fate, like he has to carry out his best pal’s last wish or something like that. I wouldn’t be surprised if he was to give his own life to protect her, maybe that’s a little too far.

16. Perrin4869 says:

I understand what Lizzie said very well, and it’s one of the most stupid things I heard. We saw Inferno ruining the lives of people countless of times, the couple from episodes 6-7 who didn’t give in to them comes to mind. Zwei killed the little boy, the wife, and in the end the leader was killed, and he wasn’t part of the mafia. And there are more examples, countless of them. Sorry, but that line was completely uncalled for.
    And as for Shiga, please, he’s a selfish bastard, he killed his best friend in cold blood, you want me to believe he would even care about a promise, let alone honor it? He’d kill her himself if he’d profit from it. Although if you think about it, he could just be angry that Inferno is attacking one of their own, and then he’d be getting angry the way any mafia leader would. I guess that line wasn’t so out of place… But still…

17. taka says:

I believe there are going to be 2 OST’s. OST 1 is already out and has 31 tracks; most under 3minutes in length. I’ve noticed a number of pieces missing including the rap song they play when Reiji is Phantom at Inferno after he thinks Ein is dead. Also the song they play when Ein speaks or is mentioned the haunting choral one. Both missing from the first OST made me sad :-(

18. meow says:

Just managed to catch up on phantom so i can finally participate. Been reading up on the comments here and thought I’d throw in my two cents.

Regarding Ellen’s behavior:
    Up to the end of the first arc, and even far into the 2nd arc up to the point where Reiji asks Ellen to kill him, I consider her still semi-brainwashed. She didn’t have the same hope-providing mentor that Reiji had in Claudia and more importantly, hadn’t regained her memories like Reiji did. All the things that Reiji did for Elen had a tremendous impact on her, which is why she ran with him in the first place, but don’t forget she’s been treated like a doll and possibly a sex slave by SM for a long time – when confronted with SM’s imminent death, her conditioned body probably acted on it’s own to block that bullet. Throughout the 2nd arc, she’s been faithfully following SM’s commands, as she accepts this as her existence. She still protects Reiji when she can though, for example when Gouda was about to shoot him at the train station in ep 17. She also warns him to escape but doesn’t go with him because she’s accepted her fate as SM’s puppet. When faced with the direct order to kill Reiji though, while she’s still in Ein-mode, I think it was her intention to die at Reiji’s hands. She’s forced to reveal her feelings openly when Reiji stops resisting completely, but I guess that created the opening in her heart to accept Reiji’s 2nd proposal to get her away from SM. Two years later, I’m hoping her brainwashing may have eroded enough that she’ll be able to face off against Scythe Master if necessary but I’m still not sure.

@Immelman: Regarding the cheapness of the two of them becoming high school students, I think you should have realised by now that it was all part of a master plan to use Mio as an insurance policy in case Inferno found them. Reiji cares for Mio as a friend but doesn’t have serious romantic feelings for her and is simply using their friendship to keep her in close proximity in case they need to use her against Inferno. (Actually she has a route in the game but in the end, they wind up separated.) Interesting coincidence that she happened to be in Reiji’s hometown though – and I’m a little surprised that Reiji didn’t run into any of his relatives living in the same town. This part I find a bit of a stretch. Still, Reiji going back to continue the life he had before he got caught by Inferno would be his wish if he could escape so I can totally buy this.

Regarding Shiga; Shiga was very loyal to his friend Gouda but was forced to choose between saving him and risking war between their group and the powerful Inferno organization. I think SM manipulated him into believing they were in serious danger. It wasn’t profit but simple survival that forced him to side with SM cos without SM’s assistance, Inferno would probably take the Gouda group out. I think also that the shot that killed Gouda might have come from SM and not him. So now, in Gouda’s memory, Shiga is sworn to protect Mio from all harm.

I was frustrated to see Cal shoot Lizzie. I think Cal would have let Lizzie kill her if she had decided to shoot before the watch song ended. On the other hand, she admitted that Lizzie was always kind to her so I’ll be disappointed if Cal really gave Lizzie a fatal wound even though Lizzie refused to shoot. Well, this show has a tendancy to have people get shot up badly and somehow survive.

It’s getting harder and harder to believe that the old Cal survived SM’s training as the OP would have us believe. And that idiot Reiji still refuses to explain himself or ask how Cal survived. At least tell her that he did go back for her but thought she died in the explosion. She probably wouldn’t accept it straight away of course but it’s better than getting resigned to a duel to the death.I really think Cal wants to be with Reiji but can’t understand why he didn’t come back for her and wound up half-believing SM’s lies and let herself get manipulated. Well, I guess she had no choice given the circumstances. How else was she going to survive in Inferno without Reiji?

I wonder how this show is going to end…it’s like watching a train wreck about to happen. My money’s on Ein’s true ending. Cal’s ending is cool but I’ll be disappointed if Reiji winds up sliding back to becoming an assassin with Cal. I’m still half hoping for a good happy ending where all three survive, maybe combining their talents to wipe out Inferno and free themselves once and for all so they can live in peace. I guess it’s too unrealistic/cliche for this type of flick?

19. Mentar says:

Perrin, you didn’t seem to understand very much about the past scenes, did you?

Ein: In the harbor scene, she defied SM because she refused to kill Reiji as ordered. At the same time she defied Reiji by jumping in between to save SM. What’s ambivalent or unclear about that? She wanted BOTH to live at that point, her master and her “other me”. At the end of chapter 2, she was _discarded_ by SM, tossed away as useless trash. However, Elen said that the thought that Reiji, her “other me” was still around and living, gave her life purpose. And this remains. Ein is focused on protecting Reiji. Simple as that.

Shiga: If you didn’t grasp that Shiga was _forced_ to kill Godoh to prevent an all-out gang war with Phantom, you really should go watch some Pokemon instead. Shiga valued his “aniki” Daisuke extremely highly, and protecting Mio is his top 1 priority.

Lizzie: Her point to Cal was “stop dragging unrelated civilians into this”, in other words, let Mio go. She also supported Reiji’s efforts in the past to KEEP CAL OUT OF THE UNDERWORLD. She saw Cal’s hatred and how it ate her from the inside. Remember what Lizzie told Cal? “You’re like burnt-out fireworks”. The hull is still there, but she’s scorched and dead inside. “There’s a line you shouldn’t cross, Cal”, and she meant it. She means good, she tries to protect Cal, as former Reiji’s protegee… and she’s not prepared to kill her.

It’s really not so difficult.

20. Perrin4869 says:

Well, to start off, it’s true I feel a bit lost about the whole conspiracy Claudia pulled off, I’d need to rewatch those episodes to comprehend it, I think. But I did grasp the fact that Shiga was “forced” to kill Godoh. And I put it in quotes because he wasn’t really forced, it was his decision in the end, he pulled the trigger. We’re talking about what was supposed to be his best friend, the person most significant to him in the whole world. In that situation, don’t you think that someone, even someone extremely rational (not contractor rational, but you get the idea) would rather stand up to that person and try to escape and figure the situation out? To just go ahead and kill him means he didn’t regard him as someone important at all! I couldn’t even begin imagining killing my best friend in a situation like that. Only someone heartless and selfish would do something like. And someone heartless and selfish wouldn’t care one bit about the well being of Mio. That’s my point.

As for Lizzie, again, she said she won’t forgive anyone who destroys the life of ordinary people. It doesn’t matter what her message to Cal was, if my memory is not extremely wrong, those were her words, and that’s the last thing someone like Lizzie can say. Inferno is an organization about ruining the life of normal people…

And finally, about Ein, it is as you say, but my point remains that it is completely cheap. It felt as if it was done for the sole purpose of letting the story move forward. It could have been much better executed. But I can hardly take it seriously when it downgrades to a monologue about “my other self” and other crap like that. And when we finally see her after watching her take a bullet, and believing she betrayed Reiji, watching her deflect without any build up whatsoever is bound to feel cheap. Heck, in Code Geass we had Susaku siding with Lelouche towards the end! I can make up reasons the same way you guys have been doing up until now, but none of you can deny it was the cheapest thing that could possibly happen. Now that I think about it, Phantom did something very similar to Code Geass – it also moved the plot to a very different direction towards the end, very abruptly. And in my opinion, the results were disastrous in both cases. In Code Geass it was beyond ridiculous, and in Phantom we are introduced to teenage romance, high school life, and even if they try giving it a reasonable meaning, by saying Mio was their target then sorry, Mio could as well have been the employee in any place, and thus avoiding the much dreaded high school setting. And heck, what’s the point of going to the same school as her anyways? When you think about it, you don’t need to befriend someone you want to use as leverage!

I’m sorry, I just can’t agree to all the praising you guys are giving to this anime. In my opinion it just doesn’t deserve it.

21. meow says:

Hm Perrin I have to say I agree with how you feel, especially with regards to Shiga. Out of curiosity, how did you feel about Lizzie executing Claudia? Lizzie and Shiga’s situations seem pretty similar – both killed their respective superior/best friends?

Shiga initially advised Godoh not to trust Claudia but Godoh refused him (rightfully). Later Shiga was shown a photo of Reiji standing over the body of Godoh’s murdered subordinate in the hotel, with SM persuading Shiga that Claudia was behind the deaths of that subordinate as well as the other 4 killed during the 5 million dollar heist (the one Cal witnessed where her sister got shot). (In fact, all 5 were killed by Ein under SM’s orders to sow unrest between the Godoh group and Claudia.) Did Shiga hold Godoh responsible for trusting Claudia and getting them into a war with Inferno and feel that the only way to end it honorably was to execute Godoh to atone for his mistake? Was this a yakuza honor thing?

Similarly, Lizzie is sent to hunt down Claudia. She’s goaded by someone on the phone over whether she can really do it to her friend and she replies that she would, as if it were a matter of personal pride or something. Lizzie joined Inferno to support Claudia; why would she kill Claudia for Inferno? Was it because she felt betrayed by Claudia? Shiga revealed to her that Claudia was the one that arranged the robbery of the cocaine a year ago that Lizzie defended in vain. Was she upset that everything had been kept hidden from her? Still she cried for Claudia before killing her. I think Claudia could have persuaded her to join her but she didn’t. She just knelt down and apologised and let herself get shot. To protect Claudia from Inferno? Especially now that Reiji wasn’t with her, did she also feel that there was no longer any chance of success for her?

This story is pretty darn complicated. I didn’t watch Lelouch so I can’t comment on what happened there but I think I can agree with how you feel. I had to rewatch alot of episodes to try to wrap my head around alot of things that happened. In a way, it might be more realistically dramatic if Reiji had killed Ein in their dual towards the end of the 2nd arc but I’m honestly glad Reiji finally got through to her and saved her. And as for the school thing – I think it symbolizes where Reiji’s life should have been if he hadn’t gotten involved with Inferno. Their peaceful life would have continued if not for SM’s interruption. Interestingly, it seems Reiji and Ein never got romantic in all their time together. I keep remembering the time Cal asked about the 2nd bedroom in their old apartment and whether it belonged to his girlfriend, to which Reiji replied that it wasn’t.

Btw, I’m trying to find out Reiji’s age throughout the game. I think I read it somewhere but i can’t find that info right now.

22. Perrin4869 says:

@meow:
    Hi, nice to know you agree with me :)

As a response to how I feel about the whole Lizzie and Claudia thing: wanna bet that she’s still alive? I honestly hardly believe she was killed, and if she really wasn’t it’ll be the cheapest development in the entire series, and that says something, unfortunately.

Your point about Shiga is a good one. It certainly makes sense that he’ll be angry with Godoh, I myself have been in multiple projects with some friends, and whenever there’s a screw up we get a bit angry at each other. But it’s all between friends, we don’t stop speaking to each other because of it, let alone kill each other. Sure, yakuza business is different, but Shiga and Godoh were good friends who stood by each other multiple times, I find it hard to believe 2 persons in such a relationship would kill one another. I must say it felt cheap when I watched Shiga kill Godoh, by that point I pretty much expected him to pull out a gun…

My problem is not exactly with the complicated story, but more with the turns it took starting the point that we realized Ein was indeed alive. And up until the point in which they went to high school I’ve been watching under the assumption that this is a story about adults, watching them living a high school life was so no fitting of anything that happened up until that point, and it was so unnecessary, it lowers the quality of the anime as a whole terribly… Like 20 points out of 100, I’d say, it’s that big a flaw. They could have lived peaceful lives as anything, but high school students is just a terribly big no-no…

And you didn’t miss much about Code Geass. It had an interesting concept and a nice start, but unlike Death Note for example, it decided to focus, again, on high school students, and to take the most unbelievable turns. It’s good for brainless drama though.

23. Camario says:

@ Perrin4869: I’d have to disagree with you about Code Geass to some extent but speaking only about Phantom, which is much more to the point, I think you’re definitely making a big deal out of something that can be and has in fact already been explained.

For me, while the best part of Phantom was probably the second arc…this development is plausible enough and the show has actually approached it in a manner that subverts the usual concept of anime school life as something sacred and protected from the outside world. If anything, I think it has helped show that Reiji can’t really run away from the past and begin a new life, no matter how much he’s trying to, without resolving things first.

It seems to me that a bit of part of the problem lies not with the show’s story but perhaps in your personal dislike of high school settings, period.

24. meow says:

@Perrin – No, i’m pretty sure Claudia is dead. I think her’s and Godou Daisuke’s deaths were some illustration of the mafia/yakuza code. Remember just after the Cal/Elen face-off at the church which Lizzie interrupts? She asked Reiji to live freely in Claudia’s stead too, as if she had passed on.

And regarding Shiga, it wasn’t merely about anger over a bad decision – it was about taking responsibility for a serious mistake done against the family. Think of it as your project breaking some serious law that leads to a death and having to hang up your friend up to dry for it – except in the underworld concept of law. Actually, while Shiga made Daisuke take responsibility for putting the Godoh Group in danger, I’m surprised Shiga himself didn’t punish himself. He didn’t just kill his best friend. He also killed the heir apparent and blood-related son of their big boss. At the very least, I would have expected him to be missing some fingers.

25. Perrin4869 says:

@Camario: It’s not a hate of high school settings at all, but a hate of high school setting where they just don’t belong. Can you think of a single thing that the high school setting contributed to Phantom or Code Geass or even Birdy the Mighty Decode? It almost feels as though producers feel somehow compelled to use high schools as a setting for no reason at all, without realizing that it just degrades the show to… well, the kind of things that you just don’t want to see in that kind of shows.
    On the other hand I enjoy watching Cross Game, and I will always have high regards for Ghost Hound. So high school setting should be used only in certain shows, otherwise it’s downright annoying. As an aside, do you think that you could have taken Death Note seriously if every episode it showed Light doing stuff high school students do? Sure it had it shared or problems, but at least the creators seemed to be good enough not to insert high schools.

@meow: Well, reasons to think that Claudia isn’t dead are aplenty. First of all, we never saw her body, and second of all the person who supposedly killed her was her best friend. So it’s very possible Claudia was speared, and that her death was staged. I hope not, of course, for the sake of the anime. If it turns out to be true it’ll be mostly disappointing and predictable.

And well, at least as I see it, if you really think of someone as a friend, that is, someone you feel confident with and enjoy hanging out with, you wouldn’t try to hurt him even for a mistake he made. If I screwed something I certainly don’t expect a friend to throw me to the dogs, but to actually try to figure the situation out with me. Shiga didn’t seem to feel any remorse after killing Godoh, so he certainly is a heartless and selfish bastard who couldn’t care less about Godoh. And by that logic he will kill Mio the very moment he feels compelled to do so…

26. meow says:

@Perrin – Unfortunately, the most obvious reason I believe Claudia to be dead is that Lizzie is still alive and still working with Inferno. Had she let Claudia escape, I think she would have gone with her, if not immediately then soon after. It would be tricky for Lizzie to fake Claudia’s death without Inferno knowing because given their history, Inferno would need absolute proof of her death to trust Lizzie again. But two years later, she’s still with Inferno. To me, that says there’s just no where else for her to be.

They didn’t show Claudia’s death too obviously because she was one of the possible heroines in the game and a sympathetic character trying to avenge her brother’s death by taking over or at least taking out the people who killed him, only to have the tables turned back on her by Scythe Master. She was also genuinely on Reiji’s side, even though she used him to her own ends. Her death really is pretty tragic. I do wish Lizzie had run off with Claudia, even if it went against her own principles, as living without her didn’t have much meaning anyway. And to think Lizzie would be killed by the same girl she’d been trying to look after, two years later.

Btw, that last part in episode 23, the gun with bloodsplatter on it, that’s Lizzie’s isn’t it? How did it wind up with Scythe? Is it meant as proof that Scythe is already well aware of Cal’s actions and is pulling the strings behind the final act?

“Shiga didn’t seem to feel any remorse after killing Godoh” I have to disagree with this statement here. There’s plenty of signs that he was in remorse. The last thing Shiga said to Godoh was that he truly loved him and he hesitated a long time before pulling the trigger…actually was it him or Scythe? Right after that, Scythe goes on to say that with this, Godoh’s innocence in the matter has been proven and with his help, war between Godoh and Inferno will be averted. Reassuring words and yet Shiga turns his gun on Scythe and declares to him that he wants to kill him so badly he can’t help himself. Outrage at Scythe’s cold words over the sacrifice of his friend? Later on the flight back to Japan, along with the coffins of his fallen comrades, Shiga calls out to his “Aniki” , while carrying the bottle of liquor they shared while in the States. You might want to rewatch a bunch of episodes – from when Shiga and Godoh first come to LA up to when Reiji and Ein escape, to get the full picture. But yea, I’m surprised that he would turn on Godoh quite so easily. I feel like there wasn’t enough development to get the audience to understand Shiga’s motivation to shoot Godoh. As far as I can tell, from Shiga’s perspective, Godoh’s only crime was trusting the wrong woman and got the Group into trouble with Inferno. Is sacrificing the heir to the Group worth avoiding direct confrontation with Inferno? Especially with their Phantom semi-out of the picture? But he did make a deal with Scythe. Did Scythe do something to make Shiga kill Godoh? Or was Shiga under orders from the head of the Godoh Group in Japan? (Mio and Daisuke’s father)

27. Tan-Tan says:

You know, the one thing that should be praised about Shiga, Ein, and Lizzie, is how humane they act regardless of their character. They were all put in a situation that somehow gave them one identity as a human being. This shows that no matter who you may be, a humane heart will pop up. Shiga chose to kill his aniki thinking it was to prevent more bloodshed (which he couldn’t explain to his aniki), Ein was torn and confused and so her irrationality almost caused her death (a connection with what she said in this episode), and Lizzie did never enjoy killing, but you can’t just point out, “hey why join Inferno in the first place then???” Look it’s complicated :P

Lastly, why did the high school setting bugged you too much? XD It’s a symbolism for a NORMAL LIFE. Maybe it doesn’t suit your choice, but it’s pretty perfect for the plot.

All in all, try not to view things based on your personal choice. A show will barely really satisfy you. Somehow, I got the idea you just skippd through episodes now, Perrin :P

28. Perrin4869 says:

@meow: Sure, there’re many reasons to think Claudia is dead… On the other hand, Reiji got shot multiple times, and Ein got shot on the heart, and both lived… Let’s face it, this anime is very good at ruining your sense of disbelief, that’s why I think Claudia may turn out to be alive. All you’re saying is true, and any series with a bit of self-respect will let her stay dead, but sadly Phantom has turned me down many times already for me to have faith in it.

As for the bloodsplatter, I truly don’t think it was it at all, I think it was a red light or something… You’re looking too much into it.

And I think you’re looking too far on Shiga as well. He’s just too unrealistic and unbelievable. Before killing Godoh we were shown images of the stuff they went through, and how they always stuck to each other at the tightest situations, and then suddenly we see the betrayal. And now he truly seems to regret it and care about Mio? He’s either a complete hypocrite, or the creators did a terrible job with him. At this point you can just guess which it is for me…

@The rest who think that I just “don’t get it”, or that I’m going by personal tastes or even did the unthinkable and skipped episodes, let me make it clear: I’m always up for a good story about Yakuza, or a good high school drama. But mixing them both… Seriously, what the heck are you thinking!? Sorry, we’re not talking about personal tastes, we’re talking about good and bad fiction here, and Phantom unfortunately chose the later just for the sake of continuation/fanservice. And yes, I’m pretty sure that Ein in a high school uniform is more than just representing a “normal life”. It’s just annoying that if a series like Code Geass does that kind of things, you guys all say how stupid it is, but if it’s Phantom, then it’s all symbolism! Why, because Code Geass is popular and Phantom isn’t?
    And Phantom had the same type of character development that Code Geass had. Susaku at the end of Code Geass = Ein at the end of the second arc, period. Thinking back, maybe it was the overly cheesy monologue Ein gave before bursting into tears that really marked the point in which I lost faith in Phantom… Sorry guys, I truly think this show became cheap, regardless of tastes. And I do get what’s going on, I’m not a moron… None of the other series I’m seeing right now feel even remotely as cheap as this one, so there must be a reason for it…

Customize
Looks like an Epee. The large bell guard, the fact that they are focusing on thrusting attacks instead of slashing (mostly). Fencing is alot of fun. Be prepared for some bruises though, as some people put their full body weight behind their thrusts.
I have one last dumb question, Can you tell what types of blade of Juri in Utena? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGsVSSUv_i0
@Lenlo: the more you described the more I found fencing interesting. I might take a look around my town to see if we have Fencing here (the curse of living in a small town).
Blades are slightly different, yes, but mostly just in their guard and how much they bend. Sabers bend easily, Epee's not so much. Surprisingly Epee is the slowest, because people tend to be more careful. Saber is actually the most aggressive of the blades, atleast at my skill level
That's all they had to do. Just stay inside and let it pass. But for some weird reason they just keep panicking over nothing.
As far as time/alternate world stuff goes this was ridiculously underwhelming. Just finished another movie called triangle and now that's how you do Time travel mindfuckery.
@Mario, I am not fond of movies where people make stupid decisions for no good reason. For example:
"We should just stay inside"
"No, staying inside isn't realistic"
WHY IN THE HOLY HELL ISN'T IT REALISTIC.
Showed that movie to a bunch of friends last year and I remembered one of the girl just shut off the movie after 15'
@Aidan: too bad. I found Cohenrent really funny and entertaining. Some of their twists are stupid but I was actually invested in much of their characters. Maybe because I always love movies about a bunch of characters in an isolated setting
@Lenlo: sounds like Epee is the most "all-out-attack" and aggressive one. Their blades are different as well I assume?
Just watched a movie called coherence and man, what a bunch a pseudo-intellectual garbage that was.
For Right of Way, its basically Person A attacks, Person B parries, Person A hits, Person B hits, Person B gets the point because they took right of way with the parry. Saber and Foil both have that, but Epee does not. Epee is simply "Whoever hits the opponent first, doesnt matter where, whole body is target area"
Theres Saber, Foil and Epee. The main difference is this thing called right of way, but there are other smaller ones like how Saber can hit with the edge and Epee is allowed to hit the entire body, instead of just the chest like Foil
For news, Blood Blockade Battlefront getting second season next year. As it was one of my favorite last year I'm really lokking forward to this second season
@Lenlo: that sounds great. From what I know from fencing there are 3 different types of blade right? So what are the differences between them? (Fencing 101 here)
Although a fantasy sports thing could also generate interest, such as combining sports together to create something totally new.
@SuperMario, Fencing was great. Favorite sport ever and it helped me stay in shape in College. I find Epee to be the best blade, mostly cause I fenced it, but its a very intense 3 minutes. Unlike sports like Soccer and such which is alot of sustained running, Fencing is 3 minutes of Dont-Stop-Moving then wait till next match. Gets really fun once you figure out your own style.
haha, I wouldn't mind either if each episode focus on a single sport/ character/ country. Or even the positive aspects like role models, sports inspirations and stuffs
That Olympic anime sounds great.
And it would be a good excuse to have characters of multiple backgrounds included too.
Could be an 13 episode ova series with 48 minute episodes, and if its to be an ensemble character drama you could have 10 minutes to a each character (the ones being focused on in that episode) in each episode.
Ah yes, aswell as cheating it could also get into "stage parenting", "abuse", "Disabilities" and also the general politics of sports, the backroom stuff.
I'll be the first in line if that olympic anime ever come out. Could be interesting to see the interactions between athletes in different sports, and then fans/athletes/coaches relationship, then the gold rush, doping... So much to talk around to
I don't think theres ever been a manga about hurling either. Hey heres an idea, someone do an ensemble drama anime that deals with the olympics, fit in multiple sports that way.
Personally I find Australian football much more exciting than rugby. Or crickets.
@Kaiser: ha! Interesting that you mentioned Gaelic football, because in Aus we have AFL (Australian Football League), that really similars to Gealic Football to the point sometimes we have the 2 national teams compete each other with modified rules
Hmm, lets see, sport under-represented in anime? Fencing, golf , Gaelic football, bowling, boat racing.
Hey, fencing is actually really cool. How did you like it Lenlo?
You have your point there Topgavin, as I clearly remember many instances where players' legs, backs or even necks got snapped during rugby's tackles. But in regards to Rugby I never really care about it. That and car racing
Its mostly the type of injuries you get that differ I think. Football you get concussions and broken bones and such, while in Rugby you probably get alot of bruises and cuts. Granted I have played neither, I was a Soccer man in highschool and fencing in College
American football has alot of rules, and really is just a bunch of millionaires running around chasing a ball. Rugby however, as Topgavin said, has no pads so when you get hit you get hit HARD
I never ceases to surprise me just how high and mighty visual novel fans can be over Mosaics present in localized games. I mean they are literally complaining about not seeing genitalia yet the way they phrase it, it's like they are fighting against great injustice. If these VNs were Nukige they might have a point but in most cases the sex scenes in question are pointless and shoehorned in.
@Mario Rugby is more extreme *because* it has no protective gear. No hiding behind helmets and cushioned shoulder pads when ya get bowled over.
@Lenlo: I'm no expert but isn't American football a variation of Rugby? And I believe american football is more extreme, considering they have to wear helmets, protection gears and all that
I dont think theres alot of manga about it because its simply not that popular outside the US. As far as it being a battlefield, eeeeh? Not really? You want a battlefield watch Rugby.
I can think of other cool sports that could be interesting to see in anime: Kick Volleyball (Sepak takraw), Bossaball (combined soccer, volleyball in a trampoline), or in the same vein of skate figures this season, why not pole dancing competition???
What other sport is cool and popular that remains original to write about by now? There isn't a lot of manga about it compared to anything else.
American football looks like a battlefield with a visible battleline and everything. Id like it if there wasnt so many darn commercials.
I mean, its a sport. Far cry from best, but its definitely a sport.
@Vonter: or maybe because american football IS the best sports ever?
@Vonter: Most likely due to the middle section of the original anime being the most popular bit.
Can someone explain me how Cobra, is apparently getting an anime around some sort of space american football? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54kNWPr43zE
@Mario: Its not safe enough a film for me to properly recommend. Even to exploitation fans, they might find it too slow others would be too sensitive to it. Really una vita violenca, mamma roma, accatone, hawks and sparrows are what Pasolini is really about.
Now that you watched Salo, would you recommend the film to other people? I personally think it's a masterpiece but it's one of the title that I think people would break up with me if I show them this movie
@Kaiser: even him as a director, both Braveheart and Apocalypto don't do much to me, will see if Hacksaw Ridge going to change my mind (but I'm not to fond with war movies in general). La Notte is in my sooon-to-watch list for years, haha
@Mario: Mel Gibson as a director, not as an actor =)
@Mario: Thats why I prefer the neo-realist/quasi-neo-realism stuff as it deals with the worse off in society. But Antonioni was the master of being able to do films about angsty well-off people, L'aventura, the passenger and La notte for example
@Mario: Its not so much that I dislike post 50s fellini moreso I feel that his throw everything at the screen and hope what sticks method can be hit or miss.
While I don't really mind his later stuffs because he was masterclass, I have a pretty hard time for Paolo Sorrentino's later works. The thing is I don't care much about the high class society so everything is just ridiculously over the top and glamour and I'm tired of it.
I haven't watched nights of cabiria but I did watch La Strada and boy, I was sad for few days after watching it. Fellini mentioned that he was inspired to make this movie when seeing a woman pushing a cart from behind. The film really carry that sense throughout its running
Michael Haneke put Salo in his top 10 films. Quite understandable when you think about it. Still for me one of the movie that affected me deeply.
I really admire Elle for its ability to maintain its sharpness because under other inexperienced directors it could easily becomes a mess. Mel Gibson, really? He's one of the few actors that I absolutely dislike
@Kaiser: The Red Turtle remains one of the the most refreshing time I had this year in cinema, but then again I haven't watched much films lately. Agree with you on Sonia's performance, and I still think they could cut out the first 20' of the film because it feels out of place compare to the rest of the film
Debating whether to bother catching up on I am a hero or watching the film adaptation. I haven't read it since they got rid of that one female character.
@Mario: I've a feeling you'll like nights of cabiria, Fellini was cranking out some solidly effective social-realist dramas in the 50s before he fell into self-indulgence.
Now I have that sound euphonium compilation film downloaded, I should get to that sometime.
@Mario: I also finally watched Salo, I ended up meeting it pretty much halfway. Some parts still retain the ability to effect a modern viewer, having seen his other works though its crazy just how different Salo is to them.
@Mario: Seeing I, daniel Blake tomorrow and rogue one in a few weeks.
@Mario: I hope Mel Gibson and Isabelle huppert win at the next oscars.
@Mario: I liked the red turtle for its visual style of storytelling and animation even if I didn't get as emotionally attached to it as others did. I also watched Aquarius nd was pretty much blown away by Sonia Braga's performance. Elle is now one of my favourite Verhoeven films and its a miracle he managed to maintain such a great balance successfully throughout the film.
I don't care for the sequel of Code Geass at all. Why Spice & Wolf still hasn't got season 3 though is what really bugged me. From what I know their manga and LNs are selling very well
I wonder why that is...
Ah, they were always milking code geass though what with those bajillion-million-billion manga spinoffs.
Still say I was more fond of the character chemistry in spice and wolf as opposed to everything else.
I'll likely pass on the code geass sequel, the memory I have of it has already led to its appeal dimishing for me, I don't want to ruin things further watching an un-neccesary followup. Still avoiding utawerumono's second season for same reasons.
After all there are things which need sequels and things which don't. And Code Geass never needed a sequel after R2's ending. Giving something a sequel can just ruin the conculsion of the orignal series. Case in point. Eureka Seven Ao. Remember that? Cause you shouldn't. Because it was terrible.
Honestly I would have preferred Spice and Wolf Season 3.
So...is anyone gonna mention that Code Geass is getting a sequel?
....Because Code Geass is getting a sequel.
@Anon, I am watching it as well. But I am a bit behind because I am watching the funimation broadcast dub. It's a very good guilty pleasure. I don't find it quite as funny anymore but it's still pure dumb fun.
@Anon487524: I'm still following it and it still remains a fun show to watch. I love the way they do the fan-servicey completely straight.
@anon I'll admit to watching it. While it is very simple and follows the sport anime formula religiously, it's still a blast to watch every week. This is also helped because you have no expectations for it before watching other than "oh god what's gonna happen this week".
Granted, nothing special, just one of those anime whose only worth is being fun to watch without being deep, but Keijo really is fun to watch, easily the best guilty pleasure anime in a long while to me.
I started watching it expecting an crappy fanservice anime with nothing of worth, but it ended up being actually pretty fun and awesome to watch.
Anyone here seeing Keijo?
What's up with 3-gatsu no Lion? Delayed for a week huh?
Checked out Hedeki anno's godzilla re-boot earlier out of curiousity, its a bit plodding/dull at times but sometimes its high camp value played straight is kind of funny, having godzilla evolve during the film was a cool touch and I enjoyed every scene with him and making a Godzilla film today is still very relevant. Not a patch on the old ones though.
I think that movie was just so terrible that people made it into a meme. Stuff like "The Entire Bee Movie Except Evey Time They Say 'Bee' The Movie Speeds Up"
I'm sorry lmao I had to, it seemed so appropriate a moment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1GadTfGFvU
Fun Fact: The whole Bees shouldn't be able to fly thing is a myth.
Badesh
I think that was just a dry realization...
@Topgavin, It's a meme to post the entire script of the bee movie in random places?
....I don't get the joke.
For anyone wondering, I think anon just copy/pasted the entire script for the Bee movie. Memes are goin strong
According to all known laws
of aviation,

there is no way a bee
should be able to fly.

Its wings are too small to get
its fat little body off the ground.

The bee, of course, flies anyway

because bees don't care
what humans think is impossible.

Yellow, black. Yellow, black.
Yellow, black. Yellow, black.

Ooh, black and yellow!
Let's shake it up a little.

Barry! Breakfast i
Actually I think it was up to about episode ten or so I saw.
From what I can recall I watched legend of the galactic heroes somewhere past the part with the Caligula guy.
That is one thing I wonder about the remake. How are they going to make the space battles interesting? Cause for me theres only so many times you can watch tin boxes shoot lasers and explode.
I didn't like LOGH until the third episode. That's when it started to catch my attention. It also helps that I have a interest in history as the plot of LOGH practically reads like genuine history.
In my case the overhype didn't kill it for me as I generally try to avoid that. When I walked into LOGH I was under the impression that it would ahve merit but not be for me. After all I heard it was mostly politics and the politics of Gundam bore me to tears. Funny enough the opposite happened. The space battles bored me but the politics got me really interested.
@Leahcimali, The problem is that the people who say that something is the best thing they ever seen don't actually mean it. Often it's just hyperbole. When talking we other people fans tend to blow certain things out of proportion unintentionally. Overrated is likely the wrong word but you get what I mean.
leahcimali
@AidankAK47 oh and are you going to write a review about it or because psngel already wrote a review of it you are not gonna write it ?
leahcimali
the problem is trying to rank art . Even comparing a comedy show and a story focus show is clearly impossible. @AidanAK47 do you think the overhype of some hardcore logh fan killed you enjoyment of the show ? Because sometimes when you expect nothing of something you can enjoy it more than when waiting for something incredible.
leahcimali
i hear the same thing from fan of lord of the ring, star wars and game of thrones, star trek ... etc. The hardcore fan of those says that they are the greatest things in history ... but saying there are overated is discrediting the quality of those. Nothing is perfect and again maintening equal quality in a longuer running show is impossible. But having a longer story create a more rich background
LookingForKeys
@Mario Kimi no Na ha is pretty damn good. Watched it while in Japan a couple weeks back. The story has well done surprises, and on the graphics side you can *really* see Production IG worked on it.
leahcimali
I don't think saying logh is overated is a good way to say it. All media with great aclaimed critics or even highly popular show suffer from the fan reaction. If fan claim that it is the best things that they have ever saw and you don't agree, it feels overated. But this is only pure subjectivity. Saying he is greastest thing in history is a way for fan to exprim there love
However it has been placed on a unreasonable pedestal that nothing could live up to. Eva is sort of in the same boat. So yes it is overrated but that does not mean it isn't great.
@Leahcimali, if anything is claimed to be the greatest thing in the history of mankind it is overrated. The basic idea that there is a single anime out there which is fundamental and universally better than all other anime regardless of genre or intent is inherently a flawed concept. I do certainly see why LOGH is so highly acclaimed and I believe it is well worth watching.
@Anon, I didn't look into the details of the new LOGH remake. I was planning on doing that when I am doing an anime season preview for it whenever it's going to air next year. For a long anime it does rate highly but even then I am not certain it really needed all 110 of those episodes.
leahcimali
about your comment are you thinking the LOGH anime is overated ? i ask Because you said that there is plenty of anime you consided better .
about the remake won't it be a straight adaptation from the manga remake by the artist that made shiki ?
AidanAK47 personally i really loved legend of the galactic heroes and it is one of the anime that make one of the biggest impact on me. I found it the best "long" anime that i ever seen (more than 24 ep). But comparing it to anime with shorter format is a bit hard. you can make something that have perfect pacing in 1h30 but it is impossible with a 110 ep anime.
Either way I am pretty certain that all other isn't crap to me now seeing as I have seen the so called pinnacle. In fact There are plenty of anime I consider better that LOGH.
There are aspects of its story which wouldn't really work by today's standards.
And I did it. I watched legend of the galactic heroes. I have slain the white whale of anime. It certainly was interesting to say the least but I think the remake coming is going to have trouble. I am in between giving it a 8 or a 9 but it's clear that LOGH is very much a product of its time.
I didn't really care for this weeks flipflappers, the fanservice and also it was even more trigger than I could take.
@Gavin@Mario: I'll get round to your name someday but I think this might be my last chance with shinkai.
@Aidan: That disgaea review made me nostalgic because I remember my friends and I playing it back when it first came out. We found it difficult but were amused by it/liked the characters.
@Aidan: Are the manga posts exclusively for series with only a few chapters translated or series that came out in the past year or so? I've been reading gunka no balthazar and enjoying it enough and think it should get recommendation out there.
Just booked tickets to go see it on Sunday with my little sister. Was surprisingly reluctant but I know she'll like it, I've already seen it but pumped either way.
Your name movie has been showed theatrically here in Aus, I'm planning to rewatch it soon in theatre and then do a review on it. Is that alright with other admins?
so I guess the top 6 will advance to the final are: Otabek Altin (Kazakhstan), Giacometti (Switzerland), Yuri, Yurio, JJ and Phichit? Will be very cool final event haha
At the very least Yuri on Ice shows me how entertaining ice skating can be
@K-Off: have a good trip ahead K-Off. Well, it's still better than Japan (earthquake) I guess
Well, heading to Korea tomorrow. What a time to go. In the middle of Korea's biggest financial scandal since the 80s.
Is it just me, or does the Yuri on Ice opening get more colorful and detailed every week?
Badesh, if you like to check out their other songs, give "Tunnels of Love" and "Romeo & Juliet" a listen. Though I just discovered Telegraph Road quite recently, those 2 songs are qmong my all time favorite
I prefer their ealier version when the band was still together (aLCHEMY 1983), but that Rome 2005 was magnificent too. Seriously with this band diifferent live versions feel like another experience... And that song is criminally under-heard in radio too, because of its running time. A crying shame
Badesh
uhh, found it in better quality. now, THAT is a fitting present for my dad :)
Badesh
well that commentator, that sounds like he's in a soccer match, will get on my nerves though...
Badesh
if you're talking about the rome 2005 version... hell, that's some sweet music. i'll inhale that for the rest of the evening, thanks for that
Anyone here listen to Dire Straits? I just in the mood for their music lately. Checked out the band playing Telegraph Road live the other day on youtube and I was completely stunned.
@Lenlo: I considered Flip Flappers 3,5,6 to be its best so far so continue on to see if Flip Flappers is your cup of tea or not
For me I have a lot of stuffs to catch up on this time a year, both in terms of anime and in my RL. Time goes fast as hell
Started watching Flip Flappers. Thought I had it figured out, then we got Mad Max going on. I may start liking it more, cause the first 2 eps didnt do much
Its also nearing Thanksgiving in the states and end of semester for University, so those sorts will be busier than usual.
You are far too young to be reminiscing. You can build a place for a community but you can't force one to come. I for one would think it would be easier to form one if people stopped using the Anon tag. You can change your name with the customize button you know.
I remember a time when people other than site admins were regular posters. Those were the days...
But I suppose watching Westworld isn't exactly a waste of time.
Downside is that I really don't have a lot of time these days. It's rather annoying. The day goes by and it doesn't really feel like you did anything.
On the upside, I am nearly finished Legend of the galactic heroes. So when the Remake airs next year I will have a lot to say about it.
Personally I have been rather busy lately and wanted to finish off a few things. Hence why my posts have been getting later.
Anyway when there's nothing on the chat box to talk about then of course it dries up.
You have unfortunate timing.
All the chat regulars have left house as well.
Four days since a single post.
Damn, I don't know if it's the layout/algorithm/mods, but so many subreddits that I used to frequent have gotten watered down as hell. Between the influx of shills and changes to the upvote/downvote system (which doesn't properly convey controversial comments anymore, like 45 upvotes to 47 downvotes. Now it shows only a -2) it's hard to find reasonable debates or find important info
@K-off: and for that book the last time I checked it was $110 for you guys who live US plus free shipping. For us it's $150 not incluing the postage and few weeks delivery.
Damn, I didn't realize that it could be that bad elsewhere. The worst experience I had was when I ordered a laser pointer from Switzerland over a forum, and the cunt didn't respond for nearly 4 weeks until I threatened to refund my $250 on PayPal.
@Mario, Europe. That's the difference.
@Aidan: yeah I got a dispatch notice saying it's shipping now. I ordered it back in September as well so I don't know why the difference between us.
I remember the days where I used to be relying on waiting for anime dvds to come out locally , looking back they were really overpriced, 35 euro for 4 or 5 episodes.
My opinion on FMA alchemist ended up being all over the place because I must have watched 3 episodes every few months of it, then I stopped watching it for a year, got back into it for a few months, abandoned it for months then marathoned 20 episodes in one night to get it finished.
See I've been thinking over FMA lately, if you join up the best episodes of brotherhood and the first adaptation you get the perfect show.
And yet it would make sense to rewatch it. 2005/2006 were the days where I'd never marathon anything. I've seen the whole show obviously but with massive gaps in between.
@Kaiser, HEATHEN. Though I haven't seen the original fullmetal Alchemist in years. Watched it way back when I started anime. Would be good to pay it a revisit with this.
@Mario, you actually got a dispatch notice? Cause mine is still waiting and I ordered back in September. Says it's going to dispatch next week but I have heard horror stories about peoples orders getting canceled due to lack of stock.
And there I am, reminded that I haven't seen the first full metal alchemist since back in 2006.
Mine is shipping already, take about 2 weeks to get here. Can't wait haha
Yep, I ordered that Spice and wolf book too...really hope I get one...

Sound Eupho 2 - 09

Sound! Euphonium 2 – 09 [Sound! Euphonium]

Two-third of this Fall season have passed and usually this is the time for our shows to reach to their full potential. Sound Eupho, comfortably delivers one of its best episode of this second season. As you can probably tell by the self-titled nature of this episode, our Eupho players are given as the centerpiece […]

mahou-shoujo-ikusei-keikaku-09-3

Magical Girl Raising Project – 09[Notice of New Rules]

Calamity Mary dying was pretty expected and the death that followed was equally something that was bound to happen. Though having a third death was not quite what I expected. Considering the small line in one of the halfway blurbs about Nana having some other intentions I thought she might have more to her than […]

drifters-08-1

Drifters – 08[Mystery Call Me]

It looks to be a trend of drifters to follow a high action episode with a cooling down period. Though it does leave me with little to comment on. Scipio meeting Kanno and neither being able to understand each other lead to what may be one of the few jokes that actually hit with this […]

Flip Flappers 08c

Flip Flappers – 08 [Pure Breaker]

Yay, I’ve reached 100th post here at this site, and if you can probably tell from my still-clumsy writing this is also my first 100 blogging ever. This isn’t much to be completely frank but it’s a milestone for me nonetheless, as there had been a fair amount of commitment for the last 8 months […]

vlSound Eupho 2 - 08

Sound! Euphonium 2 – 08 [Rhapsody in Flu]

This week, the show delivers one of my favorite Eupho moments: as Kumiko and Reina quietly listen to the Euphonium CD, enjoying that little moments when the music is playing with drama or conflict yet to come. This little moment and the firework sequence back in the first episode are Sound Eupho at their best. […]

mahou-shoujo-ikusei-keikaku-08-2

Magical Girl Raising Project – 08[Sudden Event In Session!]

Blessed be the peacemaker, for she ups the body count. I don’t think it’s a surprise that Winterprison ended up dying while protecting Nana. But it is surprising that she managed to take down one of the twin angels before getting taken out. All the more surprising considering that the angels didn’t get a flashback […]

drifters-07-2

Drifters – 07[Chaos Diver]

Considering this is the first clash the Drifters had with the ends things went rather smoothly. They managed to take one down and send the other one packing. This really is what Drifters is best act, balls to the wall action and insanity. Admittedly I wish the animation is better as it does rely on […]

vlc3-gatsu no Lion 07c

3-gatsu no Lion – 07 [Important Things. Important Matters – Teach Me How to Play Shogi]

Oh, the vitality of youth and first crush! It’s fun to see Hina’s under that crush spell and making a big fuss over Takahashi coming for dinner. As for Takahashi, he climbs up from being “an object of desire” from last few episode to a very straightforward and a bit serious boy now (anyone seen […]

Flip Flappers 07

Flip Flappers – 07 [Pure Component]

And here I thought I know what to expect from this show, yet I would never anticipate a Flip Flappers episode that is a direct continuity to the event of last week. In addition, this episode serves as a nice contrast to last week thematically as well. It only makes sense that after the episode […]

Strange Frame 00

Strange Frame – Love & Sax (2012) Movie Review – 76/100

Thunderbolt Fantasy 05c

Thunderbolt Fantasy Review – 84/100

Orange - 01 2

orange Review – 73/100

What would you do if you receive letters from your future-self saying that you can change your future? That’s exactly what Naho experienced as she obtains ones from herself 10 years later that urge her to look after her new friend and prevent him from committing suicide. The premise, I agree, is hardly anything groundbreaking, […]

91 Days - 07 4

91 Days Review – 68/100

When taking up the job of checking out every anime season you really can starve for something different. Variety is the spice of life and yet the entertainment industry seems determined to give us more of the same. So in the sea of average high school students gaining superpowers and harems I see an anime […]

Mob Psycho 100 - 03 3

Mob Psycho 100 Review – 80/100

After the explosive popularity of One Punch Man it really was a high bar that another work of the author ONE had to reach. While it didn’t quite manage that it still differentiated itself enough to allow it to be a worthy anime of it’s own right. But admittedly that will depend on whether this […]

[HorribleSubs] Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 18 [480p].mkv_002253.373