Posted by psgels on 4 September 2009 with categories: Phantom

Okay, the calm before the storm episode. Most of this episode was very quiet, and yet at the same time a lot of things happened, were built up and had me glued to the screen.

With the biggest event being Lizzie’s death. At this point, it wasn’t meant to be a shocking plot twist, but rather to symbolize how much has gone wrong with Drei. Throughout the series, she has always been the most solid and stable character: she had no hidden agenda, and instead she worked with a mindset with a healthy balance between friends and money. She was the one who watched Cal train in her Drei-form, and in this episode you can really see that now that she has found out what drove Cal to be an assassin, she really regrets to see what she turned into.

In this episode, the inevitable indeed happened that Drei was forced to shoot Lizzie. She really doesn’t care at all about her job, as long as she gets to kill Reiji, and in this episode we see her kidnap Mio, to prevent him from running away. In the end though, Helen takes the bait. The next episode is going to be awesome, I can feel it. But yeah, this episode still rocked. At this point, the characters can be drinking tea and I’m still going to love them.

Also, how large is this soundtrack anyway? This episode introduced yet two new tracks. I’m growing into more and more of a fan of Hikaru Nanase. At first I believed her to be some sort of one trick pony, with Noein’s soundtrack and all. But after watching this show, and finishing Zone of the Enders, I really have to take that back: Hikaru Nanase really is an amazing composer, but she does need a great show to draw out her full potential.
Rating: ** (Excellent)

1. Perrin4869 says:

Same way as Tokyo Magnitude will probably be my favorite of 2009, this one and Pandora Hearts will probably be my biggest disappointment of 2009. Pandora Hearts never really managed to deliver for me. I think my biggest problem is the cast. They’re probably the most uninteresting characters of the year. I hate Oz the most.
    As for this one, I think the plot twist with Ein ruined it for me. She should have stayed dead, and if she returned, they shouldn’t have pulled the “she’s been fooling everyone all along” plot twist, sorry, it’s just cheap. No matter what the reason… And the reason they gave was particularly cheap anyways. And then turning the setting into a school… that’s strike two.
    I think I managed to come to peace with Cal’s character though. Overlooking all that I mentioned above, this anime had its merits, but the flaws are too big for me to be able to recommend it to a friend, for example.

I can’t get enough of bashing those two animes, sorry!

2. revthemilk says:

People can have their ridiculous-tolerance-o-meter tweaked as they go along.

Those plot twists are reasonable (if events are not possible, beyond a shadow of doubt, then throw it into ridiculous realm. But as long as it’s not, it’s “reasonable”), strictly defined. But, forget about that, what people might say cheap, but hey, we buy it.

I’m a happy camper, not only for the plot, but, just like psgels, for the characters. Birdeye-view this season (and last one), and you might find next to this one, there’s only Bakemonogatari that (really) excels in character interaction.

3. Mentar says:

psgels: Funny that you mention it, I thought the same – two more interesting new musical scores. I wonder if we’ll get some more when the crap REALLY hits the fan (probably in 25)

4. Perrin4869 says:

Well, but you see, the character interaction bugs me a lot too here. Helen is just not one bit credible. Her interaction with Reiji is very hard for me to accept. In just one episode she decided she’s siding with Reiji and running with him to Japan, stating that she can’t live without him. But she spent 3 years living without him, and prior the first time she ran with him he was just her partner, nothing more. And the whole stopping Reiji from killing from his own will thing is ridiculous, no real life person would do that, certainly not in the underworld. Her characterization is just terrible. And other than Reiji and Cal, all the other characters are flat.

An anime that has a lot of cheap developments can be fun to watch. Heck, I’m sticking to this one until the bitter end, and I watched all Code Geass. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that this is as low as Code Geass though, Code Geass is just an example of how extreme cheap developments can get. But that kind of fiction can’t be highly praised.

5. noir001 says:

Elen didn’t take a bullet from Reiji to protect him but to protect SM. To Elen, SM is like a father figure, her world revolves around him and she will do anything for him. Just think, if your father and lover trying to kill each other would you not wanted to jump in between to stop them? People tend to underestimate SM influence on Elen and Cal as well but the truth is Elen has spent years with him ever since she was little (from the VN). In the game your job is to steal her heart away from SM and you would succeed if you have enough time but the two of you were caught too quickly and so Reiji only has partial influence on her and so she still cares for SM. The years that she stays away from Reiji are the time that her love for him really grows. In the VN, the last battle between her and Reiji, she was told by SM that she didn’t need to come back to him as this will be her last mission (he figures that the only way for her to beat Reiji is to go all out like a suicide mission plus he doesn’t need her anymore). So of course, the moment she realized that Reiji still cared about her, she would ran of with him. The VN is like a novel and the anime can’t cover the same amount of details, it will need more than 26 episodes to do that plus people will start complaining about too few actions in between episodes. Hope that will explain Elen’s actions better.

6. Reltair says:

The story and characters have far surpassed my expectations when I first saw this series. With all the buildup in this episode, I can’t wait to see what the finale holds in store for us!

7. Immelman says:

I can see your point,but I disagree. Helen’s development is very strong, and on the contrary, she’s credible. Since the beginning, she killed with hiding her feelings so deep inside her, that she finished thinking it was normal. But then, Reiji rocked her world of belief, by showing her that, even if you hide your feelings to kill, you mustn’t become only a puppet. By seeing Reiji acted as he did, she began to hate her machine self, and wanted to escape with him.
    After that, I find also cheap the fact that they become japanese students out of the blue.

Speaking about the episode, it was an amazing one. I watched it with a very anxious feeling all along. The tension was very strong, and all the characters seem on the edge like us. Very good!

8. Perrin4869 says:

Funny, somebody commented on the post of the previous episode that the reason Ein stopped the bullet was to stop Reiji from killing out of his own free will, so I guessed I missed that when I watched the episode. But I downloaded the episode again, and indeed, I found no reference to that.
    But still, I would agree with you guys in that Helen’s development was strong if she didn’t stop the bullet! You are missing the fact that by stopping the bullet she is choosing SM over Reiji. And I don’t see any reason why those 3 years would make Helen develop any feelings for Reiji. Those 2 were colleges up until that point, there was nothing between them. Sure, he saved her life, and tried to escape with her, but nothing happened between them, and she was very indifferent. So suddenly deserting SM (even if SM told her it’s her last mission) is not very credible in my book… Betraying someone you took a bullet to the heart for for no good reason is just not good fiction.
    And if we’re fair and consistent about Cal and Helen, then Helen was also 3 years under SM’s influence, and probably was brainwashed to think that Reiji was wrong or something. That’s what everyone told me about Cal, and that’s the most reasonable thing that could happen.
    And in the end, why is it that only THIS anime feels so forced? Why doesn’t Guin Saga, or Fullmetal Alchemist, or Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 feel this forced?
    As it stands now, I’d give this series an 75. The flaws are just terrible, quiet a reduction of points. You know, those are the kind of flaws I expect over the top and fanservice shows to give us, just to create the biggest sensation (“Ohhh, Helen deflected with Reiji, I didn’t see it coming! Awesome!”), in the end it’s poor fiction. (By the way, Pulp Fiction was awesome! For some reason writing “poor fiction” made me want to reference that movie)

9. psgels psgels says:

Actually, Guin Saga has Remus’ sudden development from an utter wimp to an evil overlord. Tokyo Magnitude suddenly introduced an unrealistic plot twist with Mirai’s hallucinations, and Full Metal Alchemist’s first season turned Ed too much into a Gary Stu. All of those can be seen as forced. I can hardly recall any series that didn’t have forced moments in order to create a bit of drama; even Darker than Black didn’t escape this trope at times.

My opinion on Ein’s development is that it can’t be explained by logic. My suspicion is that when Zwei was about to shoot SM, she was still unsure of what she really wanted to do (after all, she had just been saved by someone who gave up everything just to be with her), and I think that it was her conflicting feelings for both SM and Zwei that prevented her from acting rationally (after all, it’s not like she’s a contractor of Darker than Black ;)). During that half-a-year timeskip, she had a bit more of an opportunity to sort out her feelings and come to the conclusions of who she really wanted to be with. You must also know that for Cal, SM had an added bonus that Cal was already mistrusting Reiji when he met her. All he needed to do was manipulate those feelings. For Ein, he was more like the only authority in her life, so when Reiji arrived this bond between the two was more easily broken.

10. Perrin4869 says:

I just finished watching the episode, and I can’t believe how utterly ridiculus some of the things the characters said were! Between Lizzie saying that she won’t forgive those who ruin the everyday life of others and that Shiga guy (if I’ve got the name correctly) getting all worked up about the memento of the guy he killed, my opinion about this series is as low as ever. And the teenage romance between Reiji and Mio just got on my nerves…

11. Perrin4869 says:

Ohh, I didn’t like the first FMA, either because I had already read the manga, or because it just wasn’t good. You won’t be hearing any praises about it from me at least. I was referring to the new one. And well, Remus’s development still has to be explained, and Tokyo Magnitude’s unrealistic development can be forgiven given the fact that in the realm of fiction you CAN use hallucinations to convey Mirai’s current state. Unrealistic or not, it’s a brilliant development.

And well, saying that Helen’s development can’t be explained by logic just doesn’t cut it. The fact remains that it was forced, and it was used to push the story in a new direction (and I resent the direction it took a lot). You can make any explanation you want, heck, even I can make up explanations! It still had a cheap feeling to it, and nothing can take it away.

I liked the DtB reference though :D

12. reverse says:

@ Perrin4869
    you say Ein should die on the first arc. I don’t see it, how she could die, just look Zwei he is alive even after being shot multiple time by Scythe. was it really a plot twist that Ein alive , hell no. everyone know that.

the whole concept this show suddenly change into school life, I thought that awesome. and as for this episode, it is an excellent buildup.

13. Perrin4869 says:

The fact that she survived doesn’t annoy me half as much as her suddenly bursting in tears deciding she wants to desert Scythe Master and run away with Reiji after one of the cheesiests monologues. But yes, I do find it a flaw, albeit a minor one, that she turned out alive, even though we thought she died for about 6 episodes. It of course ruins my suspense of disbelief.
    Oh, and I’m still taking bets that Claudia is still alive, if anyone is interested!

14. Snowolf says:

I’m really starting to get annoyed with Cal. Jesus, for one tiny little accident and she makes her life revolve around it. What a static, idiotic character. She was so awesome when she was naive and all. *shakes head sadly*

And if I’m correct, this doesn’t end in 24 episodes, right? 25 maybe? I don’t think they can squeeze all the action and aftermath into one twenty minute episode if you ask me.

15. windy says:

The dialogues were not so ridiculous, when Lizzie said ” I won’t forgive those who ruin the everyday life of others”, I think she meant that she can’t tolerate that “normal” people got involved in their quarrels( the fact is that Mio is just an ordinary student, who doen’t have anything to do with their organisation, the mafia and all-time killers’life), which I don’t find stupid at all. And Shiga cared for his “aniki” and promised him to watch over Mio, their relationship wasn’t so simple, thaty’s why for me it is quite accurate that he’s so concerned about Mio’s fate, like he has to carry out his best pal’s last wish or something like that. I wouldn’t be surprised if he was to give his own life to protect her, maybe that’s a little too far.

16. Perrin4869 says:

I understand what Lizzie said very well, and it’s one of the most stupid things I heard. We saw Inferno ruining the lives of people countless of times, the couple from episodes 6-7 who didn’t give in to them comes to mind. Zwei killed the little boy, the wife, and in the end the leader was killed, and he wasn’t part of the mafia. And there are more examples, countless of them. Sorry, but that line was completely uncalled for.
    And as for Shiga, please, he’s a selfish bastard, he killed his best friend in cold blood, you want me to believe he would even care about a promise, let alone honor it? He’d kill her himself if he’d profit from it. Although if you think about it, he could just be angry that Inferno is attacking one of their own, and then he’d be getting angry the way any mafia leader would. I guess that line wasn’t so out of place… But still…

17. taka says:

I believe there are going to be 2 OST’s. OST 1 is already out and has 31 tracks; most under 3minutes in length. I’ve noticed a number of pieces missing including the rap song they play when Reiji is Phantom at Inferno after he thinks Ein is dead. Also the song they play when Ein speaks or is mentioned the haunting choral one. Both missing from the first OST made me sad :-(

18. meow says:

Just managed to catch up on phantom so i can finally participate. Been reading up on the comments here and thought I’d throw in my two cents.

Regarding Ellen’s behavior:
    Up to the end of the first arc, and even far into the 2nd arc up to the point where Reiji asks Ellen to kill him, I consider her still semi-brainwashed. She didn’t have the same hope-providing mentor that Reiji had in Claudia and more importantly, hadn’t regained her memories like Reiji did. All the things that Reiji did for Elen had a tremendous impact on her, which is why she ran with him in the first place, but don’t forget she’s been treated like a doll and possibly a sex slave by SM for a long time – when confronted with SM’s imminent death, her conditioned body probably acted on it’s own to block that bullet. Throughout the 2nd arc, she’s been faithfully following SM’s commands, as she accepts this as her existence. She still protects Reiji when she can though, for example when Gouda was about to shoot him at the train station in ep 17. She also warns him to escape but doesn’t go with him because she’s accepted her fate as SM’s puppet. When faced with the direct order to kill Reiji though, while she’s still in Ein-mode, I think it was her intention to die at Reiji’s hands. She’s forced to reveal her feelings openly when Reiji stops resisting completely, but I guess that created the opening in her heart to accept Reiji’s 2nd proposal to get her away from SM. Two years later, I’m hoping her brainwashing may have eroded enough that she’ll be able to face off against Scythe Master if necessary but I’m still not sure.

@Immelman: Regarding the cheapness of the two of them becoming high school students, I think you should have realised by now that it was all part of a master plan to use Mio as an insurance policy in case Inferno found them. Reiji cares for Mio as a friend but doesn’t have serious romantic feelings for her and is simply using their friendship to keep her in close proximity in case they need to use her against Inferno. (Actually she has a route in the game but in the end, they wind up separated.) Interesting coincidence that she happened to be in Reiji’s hometown though – and I’m a little surprised that Reiji didn’t run into any of his relatives living in the same town. This part I find a bit of a stretch. Still, Reiji going back to continue the life he had before he got caught by Inferno would be his wish if he could escape so I can totally buy this.

Regarding Shiga; Shiga was very loyal to his friend Gouda but was forced to choose between saving him and risking war between their group and the powerful Inferno organization. I think SM manipulated him into believing they were in serious danger. It wasn’t profit but simple survival that forced him to side with SM cos without SM’s assistance, Inferno would probably take the Gouda group out. I think also that the shot that killed Gouda might have come from SM and not him. So now, in Gouda’s memory, Shiga is sworn to protect Mio from all harm.

I was frustrated to see Cal shoot Lizzie. I think Cal would have let Lizzie kill her if she had decided to shoot before the watch song ended. On the other hand, she admitted that Lizzie was always kind to her so I’ll be disappointed if Cal really gave Lizzie a fatal wound even though Lizzie refused to shoot. Well, this show has a tendancy to have people get shot up badly and somehow survive.

It’s getting harder and harder to believe that the old Cal survived SM’s training as the OP would have us believe. And that idiot Reiji still refuses to explain himself or ask how Cal survived. At least tell her that he did go back for her but thought she died in the explosion. She probably wouldn’t accept it straight away of course but it’s better than getting resigned to a duel to the death.I really think Cal wants to be with Reiji but can’t understand why he didn’t come back for her and wound up half-believing SM’s lies and let herself get manipulated. Well, I guess she had no choice given the circumstances. How else was she going to survive in Inferno without Reiji?

I wonder how this show is going to end…it’s like watching a train wreck about to happen. My money’s on Ein’s true ending. Cal’s ending is cool but I’ll be disappointed if Reiji winds up sliding back to becoming an assassin with Cal. I’m still half hoping for a good happy ending where all three survive, maybe combining their talents to wipe out Inferno and free themselves once and for all so they can live in peace. I guess it’s too unrealistic/cliche for this type of flick?

19. Mentar says:

Perrin, you didn’t seem to understand very much about the past scenes, did you?

Ein: In the harbor scene, she defied SM because she refused to kill Reiji as ordered. At the same time she defied Reiji by jumping in between to save SM. What’s ambivalent or unclear about that? She wanted BOTH to live at that point, her master and her “other me”. At the end of chapter 2, she was _discarded_ by SM, tossed away as useless trash. However, Elen said that the thought that Reiji, her “other me” was still around and living, gave her life purpose. And this remains. Ein is focused on protecting Reiji. Simple as that.

Shiga: If you didn’t grasp that Shiga was _forced_ to kill Godoh to prevent an all-out gang war with Phantom, you really should go watch some Pokemon instead. Shiga valued his “aniki” Daisuke extremely highly, and protecting Mio is his top 1 priority.

Lizzie: Her point to Cal was “stop dragging unrelated civilians into this”, in other words, let Mio go. She also supported Reiji’s efforts in the past to KEEP CAL OUT OF THE UNDERWORLD. She saw Cal’s hatred and how it ate her from the inside. Remember what Lizzie told Cal? “You’re like burnt-out fireworks”. The hull is still there, but she’s scorched and dead inside. “There’s a line you shouldn’t cross, Cal”, and she meant it. She means good, she tries to protect Cal, as former Reiji’s protegee… and she’s not prepared to kill her.

It’s really not so difficult.

20. Perrin4869 says:

Well, to start off, it’s true I feel a bit lost about the whole conspiracy Claudia pulled off, I’d need to rewatch those episodes to comprehend it, I think. But I did grasp the fact that Shiga was “forced” to kill Godoh. And I put it in quotes because he wasn’t really forced, it was his decision in the end, he pulled the trigger. We’re talking about what was supposed to be his best friend, the person most significant to him in the whole world. In that situation, don’t you think that someone, even someone extremely rational (not contractor rational, but you get the idea) would rather stand up to that person and try to escape and figure the situation out? To just go ahead and kill him means he didn’t regard him as someone important at all! I couldn’t even begin imagining killing my best friend in a situation like that. Only someone heartless and selfish would do something like. And someone heartless and selfish wouldn’t care one bit about the well being of Mio. That’s my point.

As for Lizzie, again, she said she won’t forgive anyone who destroys the life of ordinary people. It doesn’t matter what her message to Cal was, if my memory is not extremely wrong, those were her words, and that’s the last thing someone like Lizzie can say. Inferno is an organization about ruining the life of normal people…

And finally, about Ein, it is as you say, but my point remains that it is completely cheap. It felt as if it was done for the sole purpose of letting the story move forward. It could have been much better executed. But I can hardly take it seriously when it downgrades to a monologue about “my other self” and other crap like that. And when we finally see her after watching her take a bullet, and believing she betrayed Reiji, watching her deflect without any build up whatsoever is bound to feel cheap. Heck, in Code Geass we had Susaku siding with Lelouche towards the end! I can make up reasons the same way you guys have been doing up until now, but none of you can deny it was the cheapest thing that could possibly happen. Now that I think about it, Phantom did something very similar to Code Geass – it also moved the plot to a very different direction towards the end, very abruptly. And in my opinion, the results were disastrous in both cases. In Code Geass it was beyond ridiculous, and in Phantom we are introduced to teenage romance, high school life, and even if they try giving it a reasonable meaning, by saying Mio was their target then sorry, Mio could as well have been the employee in any place, and thus avoiding the much dreaded high school setting. And heck, what’s the point of going to the same school as her anyways? When you think about it, you don’t need to befriend someone you want to use as leverage!

I’m sorry, I just can’t agree to all the praising you guys are giving to this anime. In my opinion it just doesn’t deserve it.

21. meow says:

Hm Perrin I have to say I agree with how you feel, especially with regards to Shiga. Out of curiosity, how did you feel about Lizzie executing Claudia? Lizzie and Shiga’s situations seem pretty similar – both killed their respective superior/best friends?

Shiga initially advised Godoh not to trust Claudia but Godoh refused him (rightfully). Later Shiga was shown a photo of Reiji standing over the body of Godoh’s murdered subordinate in the hotel, with SM persuading Shiga that Claudia was behind the deaths of that subordinate as well as the other 4 killed during the 5 million dollar heist (the one Cal witnessed where her sister got shot). (In fact, all 5 were killed by Ein under SM’s orders to sow unrest between the Godoh group and Claudia.) Did Shiga hold Godoh responsible for trusting Claudia and getting them into a war with Inferno and feel that the only way to end it honorably was to execute Godoh to atone for his mistake? Was this a yakuza honor thing?

Similarly, Lizzie is sent to hunt down Claudia. She’s goaded by someone on the phone over whether she can really do it to her friend and she replies that she would, as if it were a matter of personal pride or something. Lizzie joined Inferno to support Claudia; why would she kill Claudia for Inferno? Was it because she felt betrayed by Claudia? Shiga revealed to her that Claudia was the one that arranged the robbery of the cocaine a year ago that Lizzie defended in vain. Was she upset that everything had been kept hidden from her? Still she cried for Claudia before killing her. I think Claudia could have persuaded her to join her but she didn’t. She just knelt down and apologised and let herself get shot. To protect Claudia from Inferno? Especially now that Reiji wasn’t with her, did she also feel that there was no longer any chance of success for her?

This story is pretty darn complicated. I didn’t watch Lelouch so I can’t comment on what happened there but I think I can agree with how you feel. I had to rewatch alot of episodes to try to wrap my head around alot of things that happened. In a way, it might be more realistically dramatic if Reiji had killed Ein in their dual towards the end of the 2nd arc but I’m honestly glad Reiji finally got through to her and saved her. And as for the school thing – I think it symbolizes where Reiji’s life should have been if he hadn’t gotten involved with Inferno. Their peaceful life would have continued if not for SM’s interruption. Interestingly, it seems Reiji and Ein never got romantic in all their time together. I keep remembering the time Cal asked about the 2nd bedroom in their old apartment and whether it belonged to his girlfriend, to which Reiji replied that it wasn’t.

Btw, I’m trying to find out Reiji’s age throughout the game. I think I read it somewhere but i can’t find that info right now.

22. Perrin4869 says:

Hi, nice to know you agree with me :)

As a response to how I feel about the whole Lizzie and Claudia thing: wanna bet that she’s still alive? I honestly hardly believe she was killed, and if she really wasn’t it’ll be the cheapest development in the entire series, and that says something, unfortunately.

Your point about Shiga is a good one. It certainly makes sense that he’ll be angry with Godoh, I myself have been in multiple projects with some friends, and whenever there’s a screw up we get a bit angry at each other. But it’s all between friends, we don’t stop speaking to each other because of it, let alone kill each other. Sure, yakuza business is different, but Shiga and Godoh were good friends who stood by each other multiple times, I find it hard to believe 2 persons in such a relationship would kill one another. I must say it felt cheap when I watched Shiga kill Godoh, by that point I pretty much expected him to pull out a gun…

My problem is not exactly with the complicated story, but more with the turns it took starting the point that we realized Ein was indeed alive. And up until the point in which they went to high school I’ve been watching under the assumption that this is a story about adults, watching them living a high school life was so no fitting of anything that happened up until that point, and it was so unnecessary, it lowers the quality of the anime as a whole terribly… Like 20 points out of 100, I’d say, it’s that big a flaw. They could have lived peaceful lives as anything, but high school students is just a terribly big no-no…

And you didn’t miss much about Code Geass. It had an interesting concept and a nice start, but unlike Death Note for example, it decided to focus, again, on high school students, and to take the most unbelievable turns. It’s good for brainless drama though.

23. Camario says:

@ Perrin4869: I’d have to disagree with you about Code Geass to some extent but speaking only about Phantom, which is much more to the point, I think you’re definitely making a big deal out of something that can be and has in fact already been explained.

For me, while the best part of Phantom was probably the second arc…this development is plausible enough and the show has actually approached it in a manner that subverts the usual concept of anime school life as something sacred and protected from the outside world. If anything, I think it has helped show that Reiji can’t really run away from the past and begin a new life, no matter how much he’s trying to, without resolving things first.

It seems to me that a bit of part of the problem lies not with the show’s story but perhaps in your personal dislike of high school settings, period.

24. meow says:

@Perrin – No, i’m pretty sure Claudia is dead. I think her’s and Godou Daisuke’s deaths were some illustration of the mafia/yakuza code. Remember just after the Cal/Elen face-off at the church which Lizzie interrupts? She asked Reiji to live freely in Claudia’s stead too, as if she had passed on.

And regarding Shiga, it wasn’t merely about anger over a bad decision – it was about taking responsibility for a serious mistake done against the family. Think of it as your project breaking some serious law that leads to a death and having to hang up your friend up to dry for it – except in the underworld concept of law. Actually, while Shiga made Daisuke take responsibility for putting the Godoh Group in danger, I’m surprised Shiga himself didn’t punish himself. He didn’t just kill his best friend. He also killed the heir apparent and blood-related son of their big boss. At the very least, I would have expected him to be missing some fingers.

25. Perrin4869 says:

@Camario: It’s not a hate of high school settings at all, but a hate of high school setting where they just don’t belong. Can you think of a single thing that the high school setting contributed to Phantom or Code Geass or even Birdy the Mighty Decode? It almost feels as though producers feel somehow compelled to use high schools as a setting for no reason at all, without realizing that it just degrades the show to… well, the kind of things that you just don’t want to see in that kind of shows.
    On the other hand I enjoy watching Cross Game, and I will always have high regards for Ghost Hound. So high school setting should be used only in certain shows, otherwise it’s downright annoying. As an aside, do you think that you could have taken Death Note seriously if every episode it showed Light doing stuff high school students do? Sure it had it shared or problems, but at least the creators seemed to be good enough not to insert high schools.

@meow: Well, reasons to think that Claudia isn’t dead are aplenty. First of all, we never saw her body, and second of all the person who supposedly killed her was her best friend. So it’s very possible Claudia was speared, and that her death was staged. I hope not, of course, for the sake of the anime. If it turns out to be true it’ll be mostly disappointing and predictable.

And well, at least as I see it, if you really think of someone as a friend, that is, someone you feel confident with and enjoy hanging out with, you wouldn’t try to hurt him even for a mistake he made. If I screwed something I certainly don’t expect a friend to throw me to the dogs, but to actually try to figure the situation out with me. Shiga didn’t seem to feel any remorse after killing Godoh, so he certainly is a heartless and selfish bastard who couldn’t care less about Godoh. And by that logic he will kill Mio the very moment he feels compelled to do so…

26. meow says:

@Perrin – Unfortunately, the most obvious reason I believe Claudia to be dead is that Lizzie is still alive and still working with Inferno. Had she let Claudia escape, I think she would have gone with her, if not immediately then soon after. It would be tricky for Lizzie to fake Claudia’s death without Inferno knowing because given their history, Inferno would need absolute proof of her death to trust Lizzie again. But two years later, she’s still with Inferno. To me, that says there’s just no where else for her to be.

They didn’t show Claudia’s death too obviously because she was one of the possible heroines in the game and a sympathetic character trying to avenge her brother’s death by taking over or at least taking out the people who killed him, only to have the tables turned back on her by Scythe Master. She was also genuinely on Reiji’s side, even though she used him to her own ends. Her death really is pretty tragic. I do wish Lizzie had run off with Claudia, even if it went against her own principles, as living without her didn’t have much meaning anyway. And to think Lizzie would be killed by the same girl she’d been trying to look after, two years later.

Btw, that last part in episode 23, the gun with bloodsplatter on it, that’s Lizzie’s isn’t it? How did it wind up with Scythe? Is it meant as proof that Scythe is already well aware of Cal’s actions and is pulling the strings behind the final act?

“Shiga didn’t seem to feel any remorse after killing Godoh” I have to disagree with this statement here. There’s plenty of signs that he was in remorse. The last thing Shiga said to Godoh was that he truly loved him and he hesitated a long time before pulling the trigger…actually was it him or Scythe? Right after that, Scythe goes on to say that with this, Godoh’s innocence in the matter has been proven and with his help, war between Godoh and Inferno will be averted. Reassuring words and yet Shiga turns his gun on Scythe and declares to him that he wants to kill him so badly he can’t help himself. Outrage at Scythe’s cold words over the sacrifice of his friend? Later on the flight back to Japan, along with the coffins of his fallen comrades, Shiga calls out to his “Aniki” , while carrying the bottle of liquor they shared while in the States. You might want to rewatch a bunch of episodes – from when Shiga and Godoh first come to LA up to when Reiji and Ein escape, to get the full picture. But yea, I’m surprised that he would turn on Godoh quite so easily. I feel like there wasn’t enough development to get the audience to understand Shiga’s motivation to shoot Godoh. As far as I can tell, from Shiga’s perspective, Godoh’s only crime was trusting the wrong woman and got the Group into trouble with Inferno. Is sacrificing the heir to the Group worth avoiding direct confrontation with Inferno? Especially with their Phantom semi-out of the picture? But he did make a deal with Scythe. Did Scythe do something to make Shiga kill Godoh? Or was Shiga under orders from the head of the Godoh Group in Japan? (Mio and Daisuke’s father)

27. Tan-Tan says:

You know, the one thing that should be praised about Shiga, Ein, and Lizzie, is how humane they act regardless of their character. They were all put in a situation that somehow gave them one identity as a human being. This shows that no matter who you may be, a humane heart will pop up. Shiga chose to kill his aniki thinking it was to prevent more bloodshed (which he couldn’t explain to his aniki), Ein was torn and confused and so her irrationality almost caused her death (a connection with what she said in this episode), and Lizzie did never enjoy killing, but you can’t just point out, “hey why join Inferno in the first place then???” Look it’s complicated :P

Lastly, why did the high school setting bugged you too much? XD It’s a symbolism for a NORMAL LIFE. Maybe it doesn’t suit your choice, but it’s pretty perfect for the plot.

All in all, try not to view things based on your personal choice. A show will barely really satisfy you. Somehow, I got the idea you just skippd through episodes now, Perrin :P

28. Perrin4869 says:

@meow: Sure, there’re many reasons to think Claudia is dead… On the other hand, Reiji got shot multiple times, and Ein got shot on the heart, and both lived… Let’s face it, this anime is very good at ruining your sense of disbelief, that’s why I think Claudia may turn out to be alive. All you’re saying is true, and any series with a bit of self-respect will let her stay dead, but sadly Phantom has turned me down many times already for me to have faith in it.

As for the bloodsplatter, I truly don’t think it was it at all, I think it was a red light or something… You’re looking too much into it.

And I think you’re looking too far on Shiga as well. He’s just too unrealistic and unbelievable. Before killing Godoh we were shown images of the stuff they went through, and how they always stuck to each other at the tightest situations, and then suddenly we see the betrayal. And now he truly seems to regret it and care about Mio? He’s either a complete hypocrite, or the creators did a terrible job with him. At this point you can just guess which it is for me…

@The rest who think that I just “don’t get it”, or that I’m going by personal tastes or even did the unthinkable and skipped episodes, let me make it clear: I’m always up for a good story about Yakuza, or a good high school drama. But mixing them both… Seriously, what the heck are you thinking!? Sorry, we’re not talking about personal tastes, we’re talking about good and bad fiction here, and Phantom unfortunately chose the later just for the sake of continuation/fanservice. And yes, I’m pretty sure that Ein in a high school uniform is more than just representing a “normal life”. It’s just annoying that if a series like Code Geass does that kind of things, you guys all say how stupid it is, but if it’s Phantom, then it’s all symbolism! Why, because Code Geass is popular and Phantom isn’t?
    And Phantom had the same type of character development that Code Geass had. Susaku at the end of Code Geass = Ein at the end of the second arc, period. Thinking back, maybe it was the overly cheesy monologue Ein gave before bursting into tears that really marked the point in which I lost faith in Phantom… Sorry guys, I truly think this show became cheap, regardless of tastes. And I do get what’s going on, I’m not a moron… None of the other series I’m seeing right now feel even remotely as cheap as this one, so there must be a reason for it…

With the fourth episode, Vivid Strike seems to have crossed an invisible line that makes it more like the original Nanoha shows rather than Vivid. The kind of brutal beatdown delivered by the co-protagonist and the build up to it is something quite alien to a normal SoL/Sports anime show.
Ep. 4 of Tiger Mask was a lot better than the last 3, quite a hyped fight that was a full 6mins long. Will continue watching in hope of an awesomely long final fight.
Going back to the fanservice topic, its very easy to complain about it in anything but then something actually comes along that actually does it for you. I mean I always say that I don't watch a show/movie for its fanservice elements and stick with pictures on image boards, but then I ended up seeing a film where I actually got something out of the fanservice while watching the film its.
The oujia prequel was competent genre fare, the director cared about the characters and every now and the built up a decent mood. Although jump Scares are there . And I always appreciate a horror film having a mean spirited ending. One of the rare cases where the young actors do well in a horror film. The pace is a bit uneven, rushed and a bit laggy .
In the sense of how messed up/especially bleak those two episodes were.
There was the sense too with both those episodes of "Jesus...I wasn't ready for that...."
Though the first episode of the first season and the third episode of season 3 are very hard to beat. Adding to what I thought of s3 ep3 I felt that one hit me on the same level as s1 ep1 did so.
Though in previous seasons I generally only really liked 2 out of the 3.
@Kaiser, though the previous seasons where only 3 episodes long and you enjoyed 3 out of 6 in this season. So yo essentially get the same amount of enjoyment as previous seasons.
Based on my comments, it looks like I had a mixed reaction to the third season. Three out of six, but the great was was great and forgives it but I still feel that there was more of a consistentancy in quality in the other seasons. I enjoyed every story in seasons 1 and 2.
The final episode felt like a movie all on its own, I'd have gladly watched another thirty minutes of it, ending was a nice punch in the gut.
Just finished black mirror season 3. I hear people basically complaining that it's not as strong as the previous two season but I disagree. I really enjoyed this and this is a show that deserves much more episodes. Personal favorite is between shut up and dance and hated in the nation. Worst I thought was San Junipero. Overall thought each episode was interesting.
On the upside I loved black mirrors fifth episode, I'm a sucker for war/action-dramas and I particularly liked the tech in this one.
Yeah this is impossible for me to sit through, the romance part is also rather dull.
Eh, this fourth episode is plodding and trite, feels like a bad, poorly dated 90s film.
@Aidan: Third episode also instilled a great sense of paranoia.
@Kaiser: thanks for that mate. I have too much to say for Flipflappers but to put them all in coherent flow is goddamn hard. And like I said I still fell I left many details out: that gung-ho potato or Yayaka and the twins
@Friend: jugding from the last convention I went to, people loved Re:Zero customs (Emilia and Rem, Ram were highlights. Or you could try RWBY characters (I for once love to see someone cosplay Pirrha Nikos or Velvet Scarlatina)
@Aidan: Didn't care much for new black mirrors second episode, then again I'm not really the target for that story. The third episode while a bit heavyhanded and predictable was suspenseful, nasty/mean and I liked that about it, did in 50 minutes what some thrillers fail to achieve in two hours.
Holo is a good one :0
Materials aren't a problem at all for the most part, except for anything too crazy like working in brass. I'd prefer it to be characters I'm familiar with.
Does it matter to you that they're from shows that you like, or are you just in it for the challenge?
@Friend Aidan has some good ones there. I'd also give the cast of Akame ga Kiru a shot, I don't like the series but it has a lot of neat character designs.
I was thinking simple as I didn't know what kind of materials you got on hand. I was also thinking of Holo from spice and wolf or Kino from Kinos journey either.
Mm, Tatsumaki might be not challenging enough to design for. Doesn't Shiki simply wear either a coat or Japanese kimono? I do work in set design and not in character prop design, but I'd love to try something that would let me reasonably challenge myself.
@Friend, Spit balling here but Tatsumaki from One Punch Man? I know the costume for that one would be simple enough. Or maybe Shiki from Kara No Kyoukai?
*I don't want to do anything too complex for my first try, but I also don't want to do anything boring. Boring would be a character like Rukia or Celty. Any ideas?
I remember talking about this with Emma/Kaiser before, but has anyone here gone cosplaying at an expo before? I thought it would be neat to try designing my own costume and try something else beside drawing on a computer.
@Kaiser, I am up to episode 4. 3 has been the best one so far.Though in all these episodes I pretty much figured out the twist from the get go. Still this shows always tends to get you thinking.
I think the roles/identity thing with flipflappers, at least with the protaganist does fit in well with adolescence.
@Aidan: I've only seen the first episode so far. I felt the acting was intentional and reflected the satire Brooker was going for on the shallow nature of society. Bleak as ever but gloriously grotesque.
@Mario:Good in depth reviewing there Mario of flipflappers episode three.
Good god this first episode of black mirror is hard to watch. I know exactly how it's going to turn out but it's just so damn painful to watch.
Well, tbh up to where I've seen there's not much explicit yaoi in yuri on ice, only a lot of fujoshi fuel.
@Kaiser. thanks for the torrent. Gonna blaze through this today.
@Topgavin, as someone who watches a metric ton of anime I am rather surprised at that estimate that 90% of it contains Yuri.
My god those gay scenes in Yuri on Ice are hard to watch for me. Wonder if this is how it feels to be a girl watching 90% of normal anime nowadays.
okay, Flip Flappers episodic review was up. This is my lengthiest weekly review so far and I still feel I missed a lot of points. Damn you Flip Flappers
You have seen the light, not needing to know everything thats happening to enjoy something ^_^
I've given some consideration to reviewing that oujia film followup.
Whether you see one or the other is entirely up to your preferences, so it makes no difference to me which is worse. I have gotten very tired of generic character types, but again that's just because of the things I decide to regularly follow.
I will say if it must come down to either unnatural dialogue or unnatural character types, at leas the character type is speaking their own words and not the words of the script writer.
Or was that a black and white fallacy? Maybe it was a little of both.
@Realjustified, K-Off wasn't agreeing with me. That's a Moving the Goal Posts logical Fallacy but well I will answer regardless. Honestly it's preferable to have neither. The big mistake you are making here is that you are putting down a condiction that a show must have one or the other. But both cartoons and anime can have both. I just think it's a lot more prominent in cartoons than anime.
Like, having read hundreds of harem manga over the years, a majority of the ultimate love interest always happens to be the first girl the protagonist meets.
Wait wait wait wait. Aidan and K-Off. I get that dialogue in cartoon can seem like it was written by a script writer, but at the same time, lots of anime have characters whose sole purpose is entirely scripted. The whole spectrum of "deres" and everything. What do you think is worse? Unnatural dialogue, or unnatural character types?
You guys should really go fuck yourself, it's a solution and it's nothing short of great!
You guys should really watch the first 4 episodes of Bungo, it's a prequel and it was nothing short of great!
omg!! I just realized To be Hero was one of the show that I reviewed its 1st episode back in Chinese Animation post. I watched raw then though
forgive me if I'm a bit too overwhelmed by Flip Flappers... For this episode alone I took like 25 screenshots...trying to write a review now...
I have absolutely no idea what is going on in Flip Flappers plot. And yet for some reason I am OK with that.
Anyone out there that's a fan of crude humor should go watch ep.3 of To Be Hero. Certinately stepped it up a notch from the last two humor-wise.
One downside I can think of already is that I'm bound to lose or break one of the detachable controllers. The cost for those pieces is what I'm most interested in.
Nintendo Switch hmm? Honestly it looks too good to be true. I expect some major downsides to this thing.
I like cartoons, don't get me wrong. Certainly good for a change of pace. But there is something about the way they are written that I find rather distracting.
I don't know, maybe if I said it's like the difference from how characters talk in movie vs how characters talk in a sitcom?
@K-Off, I said one liner's or jokes. Not one liner jokes. It's hard to explain. Basically when I hear a conversation in anime even if it is based in stereotypes, it at least feels like a conversation that's being had in the moment. In cartoons however there is a layer of artificiality and it feels like characters know what a person is going to say and has a response prepared.
That's probably why some of my favorite anime in recent years haven't been very heavy on character archetypes, or were either parodies of it.
Comedic dialogue with anime in recent years have leaned too much on the idea of playing off character archetypes. The collected character vs the energetic character, for one. I'd like to see more variety. Some more word play, hyperbolic humor, body humor, etc etc.
@Aidan Not quite sure what you mean by that, because it's certainly not even a majority of cartoons that rely on cheap one liner jokes. I suppose it's entirely up to taste, but I can appreciate the energy in cartoons like Steven Universe or Regular Show when compared to the increasingly repetitive dialogue found in some recent anime.
@Topgavin: I just read that review and his main reason being Shelter is pretentious. oh well! Can't never please anyone.
Thought I'd check out the reviews for Shelter on MAl and the top review is a 1/10. Apparently because it's a cute girl we sympathise with her more, which is bad because reasons. I mean.. what? MAL never ceases to amaze me
@Mario, no. It's more that the dialogue keeps trying to push out one liners or jokes regardless of whose talking.
@Aidan: maybe because they spoke in your native language do you can feel that it's artificial, ya know? I know I have the same problem with Vietnamese drama/ cartoon and maybe Japanese people have that same issues with anime?
By which I mean, the way characters talk in cartoons is very...artificial. Like you can tell that the dialgoue was clearly written beforehand and it never really sounds natural. At least to me.
@Anon, I wouldn't. The writing and structure are too cartoon. What with the episodic nature and dialogue that generally pushes for a comedic tone.
Flanagan also directed absentia which I haven't seen yet but I think someone I came across of 4chan linked it to being lovecraftian?
Oculus was a film of two halves for me. Hush was a pretty standard home invasion thriller, making the victim deaf was an interesting twist but not as unique as you might think, still suspenseful though.
I never saw the first oujia film. Though Mike Flanagan who did the sequel, he's never made a bad movie but he's never really made a great one either.
I stick to the firm belief that cartoons and anime, visually should do and be their own thing. I'll prefer a western artstyle for cartoons rather than one pretending to look like anime style.
But this is a good topic and I'm sure everyone has their own opinions so I'm looking to hear some more arguments
@anon352392: no they aren't. For me not because of where their production based, nor their intended audience, but rather their styles, both visually and storytelling-ly, are different
Anime,” they assert, is not a “style” of illustration or animation.
That's where I differ to those guys. For me, anime is a style. In that sense, I consider RWBY, and Canadian-produced short Flutter as an anime. Thunderbolt Fantasy is not and anime-influence shows/movies that are intented for Western audience like AniMatrix or Afro Samurai are anime
@Anon nah they wouldn't be because they aren't made by a japanese producer for the japanese market. Quality isn't the question, production is
NX and Red Dead Redemption 2 trailers tomorrow.
They are good series and i honestly like them alot more than most anime series, would their quality make them anime?
What about cartoons like Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, Wander Over Yonder, Star Vs The Forces Of Evil?
In other news a sequel to an absolutely terrible horror movie called Ouija is out and it's...actually pretty good? Wondering if critics were paid off or it is legit good. Well it did have the guy who was behind Oculus and that was a pretty good movie.
Simplify the term down enough and anime is literally anything animated but the whole point of the term is to distinguish it. For to call Spongebob an anime makes me want to projectile vomit. Point is this, you say you watched a cartoon, people think Tom and jerry, Scooby doo etc. You say you watched an anime, people think Cowboy bebop, Attack on titan, etc. Whole point of the term.
For example, I don't consider Avatar or RWBY to be anime for while they use anime style, the writing is fundamentally structured like an American cartoon. Through I would consider Bloodivores an anime even though it was made by a Chinese animation company, making it technically a Chinese cartoon.
As far as what is and isn't anime I honestly think of the term as a means of distinguishing it from cartoon which gives the impression of being for children. It's like Graphic novel is to comic book. Though techically graphic novels are issues of comics bound in book form, the term Graphic novel is often used to distinguish works that go above superhero comics and whatnot.
Basically I think it was due to Porter Robinsons involvement that they didn't consider it anime.
@Aidan: Did the mods give any concrete reasons why they didn't consider it an anime?
@Mario, It wasn't the community that had the problem. It was the mods. The community made it pretty clear that they considered it anime.
So despite the art style is obviously anime, the character speaks in Japanese, and the production was animated by A1 Studios, it's not an anime? Sometimes I feel sad that the anime community keeps limiting themselves with such fixed minds.
I saw it yesterday and yes it was good. For a 5-minute story, they don't make it too overwhelme with details, and still pack an emotional punch. Moreover it elevates the song. Good stuffs.
Shelter was quite good though. It works well and the animation was beautiful. Song is not bad either. It's got a nice emotional punch to it though it's a bit simple a story.
Well anyway I only saw all this because I checked out the video for the first time and wanted to see how others thought of it with a quick scan through reddit. And I get this shitshow instead.
Playing the victim is the one really pisses off the internet. For refusing to admit you f*cked up only encourages people to shove how you f*cked up into your face. That's what really grinds peoples gears.
Yep, seen that too. The mods even put up another tread about the video and tried to guilt trip people by saying they got death threats. Look, internet rules 101. If you said or did something stupid admit to it and just walk away. Do not try to deflect blame or play the victim, that only adds fuel to the fire.
@Aidan oh yeah saw that live lol. Porter himself even commented on twitter about it, gotta love internet drama
So did anyone happen to catch the big old shitstorm of that Shelter music music when a mod of the Anime subreddit decided it wasn't "Anime" enough and removed the discussion post about it? Oh internet drama...what silly nonsense.
Finally caught up with JoJo. Diamond is Unbreakable has turned out to be much better than Stardust Crusaders. Should have waited for the season to finish through as I really loved marathoning it.
I had a feeling that might be the case considering the source materail for luger.
@Mario Oh I watched that, certinately worth it. Packed more story that some 12-episode shows do nowadays and gorgeous animation.
and I will check out "Shelter" music video to see what all the fuss is about
*this weekend to be exact.
Sounds like Luger Code 1951 is an OVA that will air next week, the same air date with "my" Zaregoto OVA.
@Mario: doesn't sound real at all to me lol
@Mario, I might be able to manage. If all else fails I can talk about the past of these historical figures.
While I don't mind watchinng Drifters, I swaer if I had to cover that show, I couldn't come up with anything to say.
Do you guys know what language the fairies speak in Drifters? It does sound like a genuine language
@topgavin: humanity has declined is a great show. It has good writing and dark, witty sense of humor. I could talk about it in length but psgels pretty much covered it all. He was really impressed by that show however.
That should be me covered till the weekend. Why do all my shows air on the weekend...
@Mario nah I've watched the whole thing but I'd heard about it at the start of this year and put it off. The dialogue between her and the fairies was great stuff, probably gonna rewatch it this weekend now that you mention it
Alright, I got three posts written up and will be throwing them out in about two hours or do.
I thought you've finished it. Yeah I love her character a lot, so cynical but witty. My favorite moment was when she read about fairy's plan to invent religions. She was like "so religions are invented?" (beat) "I've learn something new today". Priceless
@Mario Oh nice, it was one that I had heard about but never got round to. To put it in simple anime terms, Watashi is best girl
@topgavin: I just finished the series yo mentioned the other day: humanity is declined. Man, I love it. I know now I have a thing for dark twisted absurdist anime
@Ano340004: the name is Watashi ga Motete Dousunda, or to put it short Motete. I have fun with it but i'm not that enthuastic
@anon the english name is Kiss him, not me. Search through the first impressions if you need the jap name.
then that girl really loves BL (boy love)
what is the name of the anime that the girl is fat and then she got depressed because her favorite boy anime died then she got thin?
Season 7 is awesome so far too. It feels like the tone of the show is finally back to normal and it feels like Adventure Time again.
Whew, I binged all seasons of Adventure Time this weekend. The show hit a low spot in Season 6 but I think it needed to happen...Poor Finn needed the serious character development after what he did to FP.
You guys are too hard on it
Motete is very funny
When it comes to gag manga and four-koma, I just eventually reach a stopping point with a comedy series in that format. Even with hidamari sketch.
I think it was typical light novel trash based on what was in the PV. I laughed that despite it being horrible that the crowd still cheered anyway, likely because it had a bath clip in it.
The PV was hilarious. I had no idea what the anime was about.
@Aidan I'm good, I'll stick with Working.
@K-Off, you could switch to something like Gi(a)rlish Number if you like. I for one am really digging the satire of the show. Plus I like that it's basically showing how an utter train-wreck of an anime can be made. That PV in the last episode was truly painful.
Feeling pretty disappointed with Working. I haven't gotten any more cynical with comedies, at least I don't think, and its flaws are so irritating.
@Adam Le, I find that with Comic book dialogue. Which is one of the reasons I have gone off marvel movies. Cartoons have it to a degree as well.
I love the instagram shots in Yuri
Maybe I can have a watch through those live action films and do a compare/contrast to see which version works better. After all movie and tv series are 2 different medium, and live-action vs animation is the topic that we never get tired of
speaking of which, the overlap between anime and live-action adaptation from manga is overwhelming. For this year alone, there were Erased, 3-gatsu no Lion, Fune o Amu, orange, and Chihayafuru (part 1&2). Those were just the ones I know.
@Adam: Don't know which genre you're into but you can try Fune o Amu (The Great Passage)
Adam Le
I can't seem to get into any of these new shows. I don't know, the dialogue always seems off to me and the forced comedy is a big turn off.
Reminds me of a thought I had when I was last at the Getty art museum. People walking past works of art hundreds of years old, but only taking a second-long glance before moving on to the next one. Not their fault really, it's only the professional critics who can understand what they see with depth.
I'm the opposite really, they're getting paid for what they said so they better know their shits
I suppose I'm slightly envious of professional critics somewhat.
Sometimes you're just meant to experience the ride you know. I don't watch those explained video anymore because after all it's just one guy's opinions.
And I mean people who art professionals or students.
I guess I'm just unsure of something, how many people watching "arty" stuff are able to pick it up on their own. By looking up an "explained video" or "explained essay" to get it, am I copping out?
I feel like I've begun getting on board with the european art stuff but am really only scratching the surface with the Chinese and that stuff.
And find myself missing whats going on sometimes.
I'll admit I do find it frustrating, that even though I can like art films, emotionally connect at times, appreciate the visual techniques and admire them for being so different without looking up analysis by people far smarter than myself I honestly feel lost sometimes as to the meaning.
@Kaiser: Apichatphong Weerseethakul's films are so otherworldly and spiritual that I wouldn't dare to call them "dreams" anymore. Check out his "Uncle Boonmie", "Syndromes and a Century", "Cemetery of Splendors". he has such singular vision that just watch and experience his films are rewarding enough
@afgm: well, if we really go over-analyze it, bunnies can represent desire for example ^^
like eating sweet snow is so randomness for me

Occultic:Nine – 03[She Cracked]

This week on Occultic;Nine…stuff happens I guess? In watching this i am getting reminders of Chaos;Head in a lot of ways. Now the Chaos;Head anime was a mess but the visual novel actually started really well with a lot of intrigue before D-swords were introduced and the whole narrative just became a giant nonsensical mess. […]

Magical Girl Raising Project – 04[Add More Friends!]

Guess I gave Ruler a bit too much credit than she deserved. I still think in her own way she did care about her team but she had a much bigger ego than expected when you see her real self. Ruler has the problematic nature of overestimating her own worth and in doing so pushes […]

Drifters – 03[Army of Ours–Sortie at Dawn]

After two episodes of pretty solid quality I happen to notice this episode took a bit of a downturn in animation. Though to be fair this was the most action focused episode yet which strangely didn’t feature our main trio. Instead we get introduced to the other protagonists and our main antagonists. We also get […]

3-gatsu no Lion 3d

3-gatsu no Lion – 03 [Harunobu – Beyond the Night Sky]

Another week, another touching little stories from Rei and his friends. Still follow the same structure as previous 2 weeks, we have the first half of Rei competing against Harunobu, his lifelong rivalry (or so that guy thought), and the remaining half of Rei visiting the three sisters on the last day of Obon festival. […]

Flip Flappers 03d

Flip Flappers – 03 [Pure XLR]

Flip Flappers again raises the bar of what is expected of them, as this week the show goes even much trippier than the previous two weeks, and much darker too. They break out even their own formula, starting this episode right in the middle of desert wasteland. While this episode certainly reminds you a lot […]

Sound Eupho 2 03a

Sound! Euphonium 2 – 03 [Troubled Nocturnes]

This week, we follow an almost 24 hours of Kumiko practicing music, Kumiko interacting with other members, Kumiko having a sleepless night in a band camp, and that’s basically it. In a very Sound Eupho’s way of storytelling, there seems to be not much going on, but this episode actually lays a lot of groundworks […]

Occultic;Nine – 02 [My Cold Dimension]

After a disastrous first episode that has likely pushed away a number of viewers, Occultic;Nine decides to slow down it’s pacing to a more acceptable degree which is a good move. This does make the show much more watchable as the dialogue isn’t running off like a machine gun and we can actually take a […]

Magical Girl Raising Project – 03 [Update Notice!]

Mahou Keikaku continues steady ahead though it’s writing still leaves something to be desired. In particular I was surprised as to just how lackluster the reveal was that whoever drops out is killed. The previous episode made it seem as though Fav was intentionally keeping that aspect in the dark with how he removed the […]

Drifters – 02 [Footsteps]

I originally wasn’t all that impressed with the Drifters manga but when looking at it in motion it truly shows its worth. i guess that is because of the very nature of this series being what it is. Looking at drawing of a man being cut in half and seeing a man be cut in […]

Orange - 01 2

orange Review – 73/100

What would you do if you receive letters from your future-self saying that you can change your future? That’s exactly what Naho experienced as she obtains ones from herself 10 years later that urge her to look after her new friend and prevent him from committing suicide. The premise, I agree, is hardly anything groundbreaking, […]

91 Days - 07 4

91 Days Review – 68/100

When taking up the job of checking out every anime season you really can starve for something different. Variety is the spice of life and yet the entertainment industry seems determined to give us more of the same. So in the sea of average high school students gaining superpowers and harems I see an anime […]

Mob Psycho 100 - 03 3

Mob Psycho 100 Review – 80/100

After the explosive popularity of One Punch Man it really was a high bar that another work of the author ONE had to reach. While it didn’t quite manage that it still differentiated itself enough to allow it to be a worthy anime of it’s own right. But admittedly that will depend on whether this […]

[HorribleSubs] Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 18 [480p].mkv_002253.373