Posted by psgels on 4 September 2009 with categories: Tokyo Magnitude 8.0

Oh my god. I’m just… at a loss for words after this episode. This episode was just beyond sad. I’ve been a huge fan of Noitamina for years now, and I have watched every single of its shows aside from Honey and Clover. But damn, this series has a good chance to be the best thing that Noitamina ever brought forth…

Now that we’ve finally arrived at the last part of the story, it’s time for all of the build-up to pay off. IE: it’s time for this series to get back to the amazing quality of the first five episodes. Mari gets home this time, and starts looking for her mother and daughter. At first sight, they appear dead, but eventually they turn out to have survived in one of the most heart-wrenching reunions. Usually when anime try to play around with “is he dead or not”, this feels rather cheap, but within the context of this series it becomes downright scary. With so many people dead, and at the same time so many survivors left not knowing what happened. There’s no way of telling who might have survived or not. Heck, are we even sure that Mirai’s parents survived?

Speaking of which: OMG at the cliff-hanger at the end. Mirai and Yuuki have actually decided to travel to their homes ALONE!? Taken into account what happened to Yuuki in the previous episode… how the heck are the creators going to end this?! Probably the most evil thing of this episode was that even though Yuuki is most likely SPOILER just about everything kept Red Herringing around him.

I now see why I was so disappointed with episode 6 and 7: with such an amazing start, I expected the rest of the series to be also this consistent in quality, while in fact they were meant as a calm before the storm: they were meant to build up, and take it easy a bit for the finale. I’ve indeed been incredibly stupid thinking that this series was going to jump the shark in its second half. This episode was utterly amazing, and the final two episodes… wow… just wow.
Rating: **** (Fantastic)

1. Perrin4869 says:

This one has a really strong potential to become my favorite of 2009. I’m highly anticipating the final 2 episodes!

2. tealovertoma says:

They handled Mari’s reunion really really well. I didn’t know you handed out 4 stars, but I agree with it :P

3. AnonBAWWW says:

The part where Mari says “Yuuki and you?” confirms he’s DIE-joubu.

Mirai even has a flashback of the ‘dreams’ then Yuuki looks all sad, like the web of denial is breaking up.
    She has to cut him off from saying ‘Onee-chan, you know…’ but he says it again at the very end.

FUCK YEAH BONES, BEST SHOW THIS SEASON!

4. Chris K says:

Yes, this was a great episode that included a ton of emotional impact but I now really fear for Mirai.

I had thought that Mirai’s delusion would have resolved itself during this episode, she knows in her mind that Yuuki’s dead, so it really troubles me that the delusion is continuing. I really hope that Mari can catch up with her and snap her out of it before she has to come to terms with what she’s finds at her house, good, or bad.

I had jokingly commented on another site that Mirai and Mari would end up together because everyone else will have died, but now I’m getting a bad feeling that Mirai just might end up being a orphan; tears roll down my cheek at that thought.

5. Patrick says:

I still think that the kid’s death is a quite bit cheap (now I’m ok, now I’m dead), but someone had to die for the show to have a decent ending (the kid, mari’s family or mirai’s family).

6. Theowne says:

Meh, I can’t share the enthusiasm for this one, psgels. For a show that started off being a relatively down-to-earth portrayal of believable earthquake victims finding their way home to suddenly become about a healthy girl who has gone insane talking with the dead ghost of her brother….with very little transition, mind you. I dunno. Something’s off.

7. Anon says:

Couldn’t be more obvious tbh… Mari running down the escalator w/ the back pack, while Yuuki has it on his back in the truck.

8. AnonBAWWW says:

@6

Real trauma and shock is sudden like that.
    There was little foreshadowing, except when he trolled in EP4 and I rather like it,
    I’m bored of silly build up that’s so obvious it loses it’s effect clichés.

9. riddle says:

this show is awesome beyond awesome unlike this was the first time some stupid anime actually touches me and make me tear up

10. reverse says:

Fantastic ? not quite Is was a good solid episode.

to see mari react like that just doesn’t seamed “real”. let me put it into perspective you have a girl that just lose his brother and you just lost your daughter, yes you should to be sad. however you should not ignore that girl feeling. she suffer as much as you do. to see Mirai running “alone” searching for your daughter is something that should not happen. mari should keep a close eye and distance to mirai, no matter how well she might look she still a kid, and you an adult

well this not true if yuuki is alive. but it just not seemed so.

anyway I a bit annoy by those cg background character. the cg character basically being reuse all the time, and to make thing worse they don’t even bother change the color.

11. Frost says:

Interesting episode… I thought they would start off by make it clear that yuuki is indeed dead, since after the huge discussion everyone already knows it, but its like nothing happened

So Im guessing yuuki will still be here until the last episode, and theres a high chance the cliff hanger of ep 10 is mirai finally realizing hes dead

Lets see, this show tends to be not so predictable, so it might surprise us

12. psgels psgels says:

Reverse: actually, I think that different people in those situations act entirely different. When I’m in such a situation, I become hyperactive and start doing things that don’t make a lot of sense, so I can somewhat understand how Mari lost track of Mirai in this episode. Apparently, you are more level-headed in those sorts of situations. It’s a good trait, but not everyone’s like this.

13. reverse says:

yes that the reason I quote the real word. yes people act differently
    but based on mari personality she should not do that. she had multiple chance to go home early. she decided not to.
    if she do not possesses those trait, she already abandon yuuki and Mirai from the moment she got the chance

14. Elrondp says:

You just said everything I had on my mind. They went down at half -I hated those extra characters- but the cliffhanger has paid off. I’ll hope the end is so tocuhing I’d cry.

15. madmind says:

To me, this episode besides the closure of Mari’s story also marks the end of Mirai’s arc if you can call it that way. At the beginning of this series, Mirai simply was a spoiled brat who blamed the world for everything. But now? Though with a little push by Yuuki she unselfishly helped Mari and searched for her family, although everything seemed to be so desperate. She not only changed 180 degrees but even fulfilled her own statement in episode 5 that she can do something now. Perhaps you could even say that she symbolically defeated death, after death got Yuuki. She has done something and truly helped someone else by reuniting a family.

Since both arcs are finished I expect that the next episode will fully deal with Yuuki’s death, perhaps Mirai’ character arc will even “overstretch” so that her statement “The world should simply break” from episode 1 will transform to “I should simply break” because she might blame herself for his death (if the documents from last episode were a hint of his cause of death (Tokyo Tower incidence, anyone?)). Perhaps the next episode will even end with a suicide attempt of Mirai.

16. Julian says:

Mmmmm, I quite think that the series finale won’t really involved anyone else dying but rather Mirai’s mental condition—.

17. AlexS says:

I’m really happy that in this episode the denial already started to break down. It would have been a let down it it had worked as well as in the previous episode.

Mirai is trying very hard to bring Yuuki, or the memory of Yuuki home, so I don’t see her giving up on him before that, unless she snaps.

Mari’s family reunion was also a rehearsal of what’s to come, which is good because they will have to play it differently. I’m curious as to what they have in store.

Two episodes is not much for the storm that is coming, but I hope that they leave enough screen time for an aftermath. I would like to know how Mirai evolves after this tragedy, what kind of relation Mari and Mirai could have in the future, if any.

18. Solaris says:

I rewatched last episode two times because something didn’t look quite right there. And now this episode confirms it. Nobody speaks to Yuuki except his sister. No way. Is it real? Did the little brat really die? But it makes sense so much. “oneechan you know?” oh god!

19. Nick says:

Sixth Sense all over again.

20. m says:

There’s a scene where Mirai has to ask Yuuki’s question to Mari. They also play the game of having Mari look back at Mirai without showing Yuuki in the shot, even though he’s always standing next to or behind her. They’re really playing with the audience. Meanies.

In a way I liked Mari’s response. If we assume that Mari has long suspected that her family didn’t survive, then the way that she accepts each narrative of their demise, and how this forces Mirai to progress the story, makes a certain amount of sense. Everything confirms the doubt she carried and extinguishes the little bits of hope that have kept her going. It also provides an opportunity for Mirai to adopt some of Yuuki’s optimistic determination, since it is by proxy of her delusion of him that she looks for Mari’s family. It might even illuminate a little of the reckless way that Mari treats her own life, as she rescue Mirai from herself repeatedly in the second episode. The one problem I have is that Mari’s reluctance to inspect the bodies basically motivates the longer adventure of searching the cluster bomb of elementary schools in the area, and I don’t know how to reconcile it with my model. If she had really accepted the doom of her family, would she have been so reluctant to see her daughter’s face? Is it out of guilt? Is it the last bit of denial? Is she worried to remember her daughter as burn victim? The way that Mirai’s return with her daughter comes as a surprise to a Mari we see sitting outside, we can assume that Mari never actually identified the bodies of her family before leaving. It doesn’t look like the behavior of someone that has been completely defeated, which would be more passive and involve going through the motions, but rather the actions of someone still fighting the inevitable. Wouldn’t that Mari have looked for an escape at rubble instead of accepting their demise? Hmm, I don’t know.

21. Theowne says:

@8
    “Real trauma and shock is sudden like that.”

Well, no, it isn’t. In real life people don’t start seeing extended multisensory hallucinations of people unless they are, well, insane or have a history of mental issues. Grief, particularly sibling grief, has a variety of effects but hanging out with the ghost of the deceased is not one of them.

Another thing I didn’t like about this episode is how they pulled the “look they’re dead, oh wait they’re alive” AGAIN. It gets tiresome and feels cliched.

I don’t mind this kind of storytelling all that much, it’s just the first few episodes were going down the path of a believable story of people finding their way back home after an earthquake, and now it has descended into B-movie territory with talking hallucinations and bait-and-switch deaths.

22. Ritz says:

To reverse: Wth, Mari thought she had lost her entire family, even if she was the most mature person in the world your feelings and mind would be fucked up, Mirai obviously understood that.

I love this show, I don’t think it’s extremely out of place that Mirai is seeing hallucinations…I mean it’s not like she is seeing his ghost, she is projecting Yuuki from her mind. I dunno, I don’t find it hard to believe. The trauma was big.

23. cyril says:

I understand that it’s an adult anime etc, but I don’t think they can seriously really “kill” Yuuki. What – with the history of lucky escapes so far. I predict that Yuuki slipped into coma and they left him at the hospital and when Mari and Mirai find the parents and get back to the hospital, Yuuki wakes up. Happy end.
    I, personally, wouldn’t mind it.

24. Judy says:

Fantastic ? not quite Is was a good solid episode.

E©agree with you,E reverse.
    We do not need Sixth Sense in this show.

25. cyril says:

Come to think of it: piggybank in the bag == urn?
    ;_;

26. Larien says:

I agree that Mari’s reaction to the “death” of her family was correct for most – I am extremely close with my mother, and if I were to find out she’d died, no child in my care would matter to me anymore and I would lose sight of everything around me and be in complete despair.

I think Mirai is slowly beginning to realize that her brother is gone – remember that the way Yuuki is manifested to Mirai is entirely her creation, her subconscious is inventing every word he says and every action he makes. At the end of this episode, Yuuki needs to tell her something – I’m guessing it’s something along the lines of, “I’m gone, let me go” and so it’s really her mind telling her (after being briefly reminded of his hospital ordeal when seeing Mari’s family in the hospital) to begin accepting it.

Earlier in the series Mirai was quite negative in some respects, kind of a Debbie Downer about things – earlier she would have accepted Hina’s death and not gone looking for her. I imagine her saying something like, “She’s dead, she’s right here in front of us…” But this time, her made up Yuuki which is in fact her own subconscious is pushing her to NOT accept it, and search anyway. Through “Yuuki,” she’s gained optimism.

So it’s my belief that Yuuki is less of a hallucination and more of a subconscious thought process, which can’t be physically portrayed in any way, as it’s someone’s mind and thoughts, so it takes form as her visualizing Yuuki. And Mirai is most likely feeling a sense of guilt, this was the little brother who annoyed her, and now he’s gone – this is her chance to be a better sister. She can’t face that she never really acknowledged her true love for him.

27. Larien says:

OH And I forgot to add this:

At the end of the episode, the anchorwoman incorrectly refers to Crash Syndrome, which is in fact called “Crush Syndrome” – the cause of Yuuki’s death. Remember when he was trapped under the rubble in the mall? He sustained serious internal injury from the crushing pressure, and is usually fatal is treatment is not immediately given.

It’s common in earthquakes.

28. Echo says:

Ah thanks for that clarification, Larien – I looked up “crash syndrome” (thinking it was Mirai’s disease) and only got some obscure descriptions.

2 things about this ep:
    When they came upon the supposed bodies of Mari’s mom and daughter, I resolved that they weren’t dead unless Mari actually confirmed their faces. Especially with the mind games of the previous episode, how can you just assume they’re the right people? So that supposed death scene didn’t really affect me, rather bothered me that Mari didn’t feel like actually checking them and just accepted them as her family.

Looking back at the last 2 episodes assuming Yuki is gone, it annoys me that Mari doesn’t have a stronger reaction to Mirai treating her brother as if he were alive. I believe she figures it out in ep 8, even tears up about it in front of Mirai….and they’re always walking together; can she not hear Mirai conversing with herself? Just how long was she going to let Mirai live in denial?

I honestly was expecting the truth to be revealed when Mari and her daughter were reunited with grandma and Mirai is introduced to them – alone. But no, she wanders off again, and only now does Mari seem distressed that Mirai is out and about thinking that her brother is still with her.

29. Pearlholy says:

Larien, I believe it was the people who subbed the episode made a small mistake in the previews. After replaying the end several times, I believe the anchorwoman said ‘Crush Syndrome’. I could be wrong, however it was harder to differentiate ‘Crush’ and ‘Crash’.

On the side note, I do believe that recycling the ‘He’s dead OR NOT’ idea, is slightly cliche. However, the producers wrote it nicely. So, I cannot bring myself to criticize and complain about it. I was relieved to see that Mari’s family were okay. Everyone pretty much said what I have been contemplating about; I do believe Mirai’s behaviour/trauma is quite realistic. Perhaps the producers failed to make it less cliche for some the viewers to enjoy. But I cannot help but to sympathized with Mirai. For someone who disregarded and barely cared for her brother, I was sad that Yuuki died right after they began to get along.

On the side note, I feel like Mari is like an adult version of Mirai. I would not know how to word it out but yeah… >_>;;

30. dickens says:

Okay guys, I can understand that some people like this stylized storytelling but can you stop using the word realistic? I’m not going to call myself an expert, but I’ve been studying psychology for 3 years and what is portrayed in this anime is certainly not realistic. In cases of trauma and grief people do not suddenly see the walking talking ghosts of the deceased as if they are alive. That is pure movie tropes that don’t happen in real life. They have brief hallucinations, yes, but only people who are already unstable in the head have the kind of experiences Mirai is having.

31. Dian says:

I knew it!!! i just knew it from ep. 8 , but I’m in denial!! and the first time I watch ep. 9, the clue of yuuki died jumps here and there, I mean, yuuki doesn’t talk with mari-chan anymore, the backpack!! oh god, I hate it!! bring Yuuki backk!!

32. Divaa says:

Woah am I the only one who didn’t know he was dead?
    Wow, I usually catch on to that stuff.

33. Reiter says:

Mirai and Yuuki seriously have got to stop wandering off alone by themselves. Whatever happened to their promise of them telling each other where they were going before leaving? It seems like they do it every single episode! XD

Ok, I guess in this case Mirai, in her tragic state of denial, believes that everything will be all ok with sunshine and rainbows now that Mari has been reunited with her mother and daughter, and that frees Mirai and what she thinks is Yuuki to stop being a burden to Mari and to continue on their own way back home alone. I did like how Mirai, through Yuuki, was convinced not to give up and to keep looking for Mari’s family despite the odds. Yuuki’s ever present optimism, even after his death (or specifically, because of it) really did rub off on Mirai.

It’s just sad that it took the death of Yuuki for Mirai to finally start appreciating her little brother and his sunny, innocent way of looking at the world, rather than sulk and wallow in self pity and cynicism like most teenagers are wont to do, even in the face of disaster.

This isn’t the first time that an anime series killed off the sweet, innocent young brother character (for drama’s sake or whatever the case may be). Blood+ did something similar. Yes, Mirai hallucinating her brother to be alive and being in complete denial about his death is very TV/movie-tropish and not very realistic at all, but it’s all about building drama, I guess, particularly in the case where the last two episodes are going to focus on Mirai (and/or her parents) confronting the truth about the tragedy.

Still, I’m enjoying the show a lot, flaws and all. It does remind me a little bit of Grave of the Fireflies; completely different scenario and emotional tones, but comparisons can be made for how the characters react to tragedy and disaster. I’m hoping Mirai doesn’t end up an orphan by the end, though if that were the case, I could see Mari adopting her into her family as a result.

34. AnimaticallyInsane says:

Awesome episode! espcially the renuion between Mari and her daughter (and her mother)!

However, i hated the cliff hanger at the end of the episode. I was hoping that they would clear up yuki’s death in this episode but NO….they gave us another cliff hanger and we are still in denial….

For me i hope that Yuki is still alive but just in serious condition such that hes at the hospital still and actually not dead….but we will see in the next episode (hopefully….)

35. Pafiume says:

I really enjoyed this episode. The only thing that made it weird was Yuuki going, “Hey, maybe they’re alive!” I can understand optimism, but that’s like, “Hey, let’s take a shot in the dark.” And it was another one of those little hints that usually mean whatever it’s talking about is true. Which it was. I would have thought that when Mari lifted the towels off the unidentified bodies and realized they WEREN’T her family they would go searching again. The situation in the episode is much more enjoyable, though.

Personally, I don’t see how Yukki could still be alive. If he was alive, and just in critical condition as people are hoping, I don’t think Mirai would have delusions about him. Additionally, why would she and Mari leave him alone in a hospital? It’s still possible I guess, and I wouldn’t mind for him to be alive, but I don’t think so. I think that the last “dream sequence” from the episode he was in the hospital, where the doctor comes out and Mirai bursts into tears, was the real thing. And if I remember correctly his heart beat went out?

The part with the backpack was the most interesting to me. After Mari ran out with the backpack in hand, and you see the close up of Yukki, it looks like he still has the straps on his shoulders. I wonder if what snaps Mirai out of it is Mari chasing after them (and catching up eventually?) and showing the backpack!

dickens: I can totally agree that that isn’t realistic. The moment I saw that the Yuuki hallucination wasn’t just going away after they went off the soccer field in the hospital it went from realistic to a little over the top.

36. KamikazeSim says:

Mari’s reunion with her family made me cry. I have teared up in this series many times but tears finally came out of my eyes in this episode. Seeing Mari hug her daughter made me so happy with tears especially since Yuuki is dead.

“Three days since the earthquake….Repeated occurrences of Crush syndrome have been reported.” Like Larian said (#27), its common in earthquakes.

He HAS to be dead. This show has been too damn good with the minor hints spread out that it will be disappointing if we get a Deus Ex Machina ending with Yuuki being in a coma in the hospital.

Not trying to be depressing but the tease of his death has made this show better than anything this year. Thursday night cannot get here sooner!

37. FusionKilla says:

Actually there is a CRASH syndrome and it is inherited as an X-linked trait and so affects mainly boys

38. saku says:

what? you haven’t watched honey & clover??
    O_O

39. Solaris says:

@Saku, what’s so strange about it? I also skipped Honey and Clover ’cause I don’t like that stuff so much (romance movies)

40. meow says:

Regarding Mari’s hesitation to verify the identities of the two corpses, I think I can agree that this is realistic. The builds of those corpses looked similar to her mom and daughter, right down to the little girl’s hair ornaments – although they were a different color. I don’t think it’s that abnormal to hesitate to confirm a possible terrible truth – kind of like being terrified of checking the results of a medical test to see if you have some incurable fatal disease. How many of us would be prepared to look into the dead faces of a loved one? I also thought this scene and this line of story was an important illustration of difficulty identifying the dead in the midst of the major disaster. Earlier in the story, there was a minor scene where a relief worker admonished a father from taking the body of her daughter away before it was officially identified. Here, Mari was prepared to accept that her family was dead, even though in fact, they were alive somewhere else.

I thought also that having Mari pressed into duty as a nurse for her injured mother by the hospital was also a nice touch. It was both a realistic depiction of a real earthquake situation and a useful plot device to separate Mari and Mirai for dramatic effect to draw out how Mirai would settle her situation with Yuki. Although Yuki is dead, he remains a main character and I think final resolution of this won’t happen til up to the very last episode.

I agree with what people have said her about Mirai’s hallucination of Yuuki being the most unrealistic part of this story. (Actually, I’m wondering if Yuuki is meant to be Yuuki’s actual ghost rather than simply a hallucination. I agree that the situation doesn’t seem quite right for her to be seeing things – she’s exhausted and extremely stressed but not on any drugs and hasn’t had head injuries…?) However, I feel that this series is meant to be something like a semi-documentary to prepare people for events and issues that can happen during a real earthquake and unfortunately, one of the most difficult and unfortunately potentially unavoidable issues to deal with is the death of a precious and irreplaceable loved one. I’m curious to see how this show will handle this. There also remains the issue of whether Mirai’s parents survived.

41. Theowne says:

@Solaris
    Honey and Clover is more than a “romance” show, in fact that romance elements are the least important part of the show in my personal opinion.

42. Solaris says:

Thx theowne (and saku). I might give it a try, just to make sure i guessed rigth or wrong about the anime. But i have some more shows on my watch list by now, so Honey and Clover will have to wait.

43. Snowolf says:

SPOILER ALERT! (for people who don’t wanna know- please skip this comment. but you probably do know because half of these past comments show the spoiler without alerting it)

Guys, hallucination is perfectly normal for under stress, pressure, strain and shock. It’s what causes hallucinations, otherwise than a blow to your head, or if you’re stocked up on drugs.

Mirai’s delusions, as we all know by now fully well that her brother is dead, it is perfectly fine for her to have delusions. She’s only a child, and is not used to having such a trauma in her life. And the fact it came so unexpectedly also adds to reason of why’d she have a hallucination. (It’s a hallucination by the way, not a delusion).

I saw episode ten, and I won’t reveal anything, but if you thought this show could get any more depressing, you thought wrong. It got a hell lot more sad, and I couldn’t stop crying.

44. Snowolf says:

Even more reasons- she’s tired, hungry, lonely, mentally exhausted, and loves her brother. :D

*bring tissues for next episode*

45. Pearlholy says:

For someone who has been studying psychology for quite some time now, I think you have disregarded the fact that visual and auditory hallucinations are down-to-earth results of extreme trauma, stress, strain and fatigue like Snowolf has stated. It was sort of pretentious of you to claim that because I am currently studying/majoring in Psychology as well. It was offending to see your remarks. While I may not be opening my textbooks while analyzing the situation, I think what most people are trying to say when they mention realistic, they mean ‘down-to-earth’, including myself. Anyone can be unstable after losing someone dear to them and children, adolescents are more sensitive to tragic experiences and it takes very little to make the tip over. If Mirai manages to get over her hallucination, then she is not as ‘unstable’ as we think…

Customize
shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeet
"Mario looks through the window, ignoring the bullshit talk"
Fuck you all id rarher have no season of anime just for season 3 of rick and morty
I'll try neverland. Although it being in shounen jump is suspect.
I was quite effected by flippflappers episode 10s last couple of moments.
yeah, she's checking her pulse while completely in control of the situation. Such badass. I wonder with the stakes so impossibly high how could they resolve all this? Not to mention they have other shits to face after escaping that orphanage. Good read. I love the three mains so far as well.
@Mario, Yep. I actually didn't get into it until the end of the first chapter and then it's just got my full attention. Up to date and so far it hasn't let me down. Miss Mom is pretty damn unnerving. That one point near the beginning where she just holds the main girls head and stares at her like shes examining an object would scare the hell out of me if I was her.
This The Promised Neverland manga is awesome. I'm at chap 4 right now and it just getting better and better
Currently looking forward to Flip Flappers, Keijo and To Be Hero. Needa catch up on Girlish Number and Drifters but haven't had the time.
Oh, and that Zaragoto OVA which I think not a lot of people care to watch, at least not right now.
Now I consider catching up a part of this job haha
I'm more of a slice of life guy so my watch for this season are: natsume, Yuri on ice, girlish number, drifters, Fune wo amu, Saiki and I'm behind on Keijo, Magical Girl raising project, occultic;nine, buranki, Bungo stray dogs. Have a lot to catch up it seems
This season im watching Yuri, Drifters, and Flip Flappers. When I get the time I also try to watch some Bakumon
Besides what I am blogging, I am also watching Jojo, Flip Flappers, Girlish number and Keijo.
I guess you want to know what everyone's watching in the current season?
This is a mess
So the what out there y'all
And so number one out there
And some new anime
So what's new anime y'all seen
That's what. I think
@Anon530022, I am not going to deny being arrogant. That's just my nature. But you are going to have to explain how wanting a show to have a genuine gay romance is homophobic? Kinda missing the logical steps on that jump. Anyway you being gay is irrelevant as I have a bisexual friend who says the romance isn't realistic in the slightest.
real interaction which makes everything feel fake. (sorry about the test walls)
I love basically any sports/romance anime so Yuri should be straight up my alley, but instead it just fails at both, mainly the sports part since it does try to focus on fanservice of the relationship between Victor and Yuri. I don't feel like the relationship between the two of them is real whether it's romantic or not. They keep having characters voice their thoughts about each other but no
Hi random long-time psgels reader, personally I think Yuri on Ice has kind of lost on trying to be a real romance and a real sports anime. It's characters are pretty weak and combing from someone that actually reads BL manga, I agree that their overt level of fanservice like focusing on the two of their lips and the rings, etc doesn't match their level of outright talking about shit.
I like a good dickin
tl;dr, chill its an anime.
Age gap isnt that big, and its not homophobic or arrogant to say a show isnt selling an aspect of itself well in his opinion. Lastly, romance for every person is different, so dont expect him to share your experiences/views on it.
Also, how Viktor's choice to become Yuuri's coach might have been initiated by not just Yuuri's skating, but Yuuri himself.
@Mario: I agree on the strip dance. Like, holy crap. But overall, I really like how episode 10 reframed the series from Viktor's perspective. Like, at first the whole commemorative photo thing made him seem like a jerk, but now we get to see that he had actually had a great time with Yuuri and was probably being genuine about it...
What happened to angry german kid
You just want them to identify themselves. You feel as if it's your right to know that they are gay. Well it isn't. It is their life, their story. You are being homophobic. You are being close minded. You are being arrogant. You are, indeed, very arrogant.
It is a mixture of admiration and lust and because it is hard to distinguish between the two it is difficult to express your feelings directly or even admit it to yourself.
As a gay man I attest that this is how romance works, ESPECIALLY when there is an age and experience gap.
This shows romance is actually reaistic, but you are still rejecting it. Yuri literally said he had found love. He said neither way who it's directed towards yet you are SO INSISTENT that it is towards skating. in the episode Victor even expressed admiration to Yuri's own dispositions beyond skating. He clearly was 'watching' him.
If they planned to take such a hands off approach to romance then it would be better if they just focused on the skating. But well then the fujoshi's wouldn't be buying the Blu-rays now would they?
I can understand that, thats a problem I have with alot of modern romance's. Im just not seeing the backing off that happens in those romances. They just seem to raise it more and more in Yuri, without ever crossing the line, rather than toeing it then backing off.
@Lenlo, To me I find it aggravating. They go so far to portray them as gay yet when it comes to the final say they keep backing off. Hey I want to be more that friends...just kidding! Hey I love you...just kidding! Hey lets get married...just kidding! It like how harems constantly tease the main getting together with each girl when by shows end you know he's not going to get with anyone.
@lenl: agree. I'm still enjoying the hell of the show. A bit out of the blues thou when it comes to the strip dance (they shoulve planted that before), but it's a joy to watch every week
Eh. As I said, I think its above bait below romance. Either way im enjoying it and thats the important part.
For me they're just too much at the moments but unless they confirm it, nothing changes.
Y'know I kind of wish Rorico would just come out and directly say he feels too old for most anime, its not really surprising a man in his 60s would be so cranky when it comes to this stuff.
@lenlo: I think it's more about statements. Yes, we understand the context of rings and engagements but unless they confirm it, nothing set in stones. And "hinting" is what they love to do, you can see just by the 2 shows I've coverage myself: Sound Eupho (Reina & Kumiko), Flip Flappers (Papika & Cocona) and people saying those same underlining context things.
I think its beyond baiting, below full blown romance at this point myself.
Does a show have to confirm and say "They kissed" to make it true? Seems along the same lines as "Fade to black" for sex. Then theres the ED which also made the start of the show much more interesting, as with this ED not its Victor that was jilted at the airport, when Yuri ran away.
See, I dont understand why they have to come out and say "We are gay" for you to accept its an actual romance. I dont see how this is baiting anymore either, as the rings and the "Engagement" seem pretty clear to me. Also, without knowing the current climate on the matter in Japan, this could be the clearest they are allowed to make it, while still fully intending for it to be a real romance.
@Anon1, Agreed. I said before that I would like to be proven wrong on this but this series doesn't seem to have done that yet. I really will admit I am wrong to Anon2 if it does provide proof but it would need to be far more substantial than this.
@Anon2, Girl, boy, whatever.
I'm not a girl.
Even that is just grasping at straws though, haha.
@Aidan: I think the only thing from that scene that hints at actual romance would be where Viktor says something along the lines of a lot of other people got their L words from Yuuri, which he had earlier stated are "Love" and "Life." Honestly, even this is pushing it though, but the fact that he said it like that suggests that both he and Yuri got "those words" from Yuuri.
Way I saw that scene was the guy saying "Fuck you, you think Yuri is so great. Well I am gonna be better than Yuri. Just you wait and see" and then Victor remarking on how Yuri awoke his competitive spirit. Aka his love for Skating.
@Kaiser: Although I like both, I always prefer impressionism better. Expressionism for me tend to be a bit overwhelming and a bit subjectively. But mind you Flip Flappers still has moments of Expressionist as well (Episode 6: Irochan's parents)
@Anon, I got the context you saw fine. About him getting mad over the "Good luck charm". You are being baited girl, hook, line and sinker.
You are missing context. You don't know anything. You don't even know why Yuri was mad do you? Why the fuck would he be mad about loving skating.
@Mario: I bring up the impressionism vs expressionism thing because I feel that the impressionistic aspects of say a Tarkovsky film, Malick film and flippflappers feel superior to me over expressionistic style because its more emotionally satisfying while ALSO being athmospheric, Whereas expressinistic visuals are ONLY atmospheric.
@Mario: Flippflappers has now reached a level where I feel the impressionism has gone beyond simply visual immersive in a way that makes us part of its world and has become more emotional.
@Mario: You mention impressionism in your review of flipflappers, in general do you feel on a visual level you respond more strongly to expressionism or impressionism?
I watched the whole thing so I know that in this episode, except the time they're giving rings to each other (in the name of "good luck charm") and Victor somewhat pump Yuri up for the Gold medal by Not Denying it; they still haven't admitted anything.
Perhaps I am not the one who is in denial.
Oh I think I see it now. Yeah this is nothing mate. The conversation was about skating from begining to end and Victor mentioned that he wasn't the only one to get his "L words" from Yuri. Pretty clear he means how Yuri helped Yurio awaken a love for Skating. Romantic love doesn't really make sense within the context. But yeah, they admitted nothing.
Quite frankly if they don't have the balls to admit they are gay by this point they are just not going to.
Time stamp means the point in the episode he actually said it. Like 18 minutes 20 seconds in or something. You should be able to get one. But maybe you can't find it either. Only thing I found Was about yuri teaching victor through his life and love but that's ambiguous enough to refer to his love for skating.
Don't have time stamp
Episode is narrated by Victor
At the end Victor admits he's in love and mentions the other person is also
@Anon, Can you give me the timestamp on the episode? Scanning through it I don't see anything that suggests that.
Not joked
They admitted
No those were both me it's just the chat doesn't show it immediately so I posted again
@Masky, He's denied it before but it's pretty obvious he's trying to make it seem like someone's agreeing with him.
@Anon, admitted or joked?
So wait, is that same anon repeating himself or two different anons where second one copy pasted part of first one's post
They literally admitted a love triangle between the three main characters. You're in denial.
Are you kidding? This episode they outright admitted a love triangle between the three main characters. You're in denial.
I actually was going to admit that I was wrong when I heard about the "Kiss" and gladly do so. But when I watched the scene in question it's clear what I said is still correct. They will dance around it, sure. But never outright confirm it.
@Anon, discussed this before when the "Kiss" happened. Despite the series hinting it, and hinting it hard, it still hasn't outright confirmed it. While I am sure it is head canon to the watchers, the series itself is just queer baiting.
Okay... Just watched this week's Yuri on Ice. Haha things got weird again... and they so nailed Barcelona here, I recognized most of the places.
@anon527634: actually about that, I am a bit let down that after that "supposed kiss" in episode 7, no one in the series mentioned it again. Just like that "kiss" never happened.
So when is Aidan going to publicly admit he was wrong about the Yuri romance?
I loved the special ED so much.
Alright... Yuri this week was interesting in so many ways.
I'm also planning to catch BBK/BRK before the year end soon. I'm also find that series entertaining despite its obvious flaws
But come to think of it, I do know what its like to enjoy something admittedly flawed, the first season of utawerumono was like that for me, I have nothing but criticism of it in all aspects but yet ended up being one of those things I somehow enjoyed watching.
Ah, only flippflappers, natsume, drifters on my end.
I wonder if anyone here is still watching Bubuki Buranki? It's weird but despite how deeply flawed it is I find it fairly enjoyable. Though that fantastic soundtrack certainly helps.
@Anon, Oh they announced a Sonic movie too. Apparently it's a mix of live action and animation.
I am suprised SEGA didn't announce an Sonic movie and went with games like Altered Beast and Crazy Taxi, they probably could have just ripped off one story from the Archie Sonic comics and make an movie based on that, preferably the story where Sonic travels in the multiverse to fight an super powerful Sigma alongside Classic Megaman and Megaman X,Steet Fighter cast,Breath of Fire 3 cast and more
@Anon, A parody Grindhouse film actually could work. I consider Overkill the best of House of the dead. Thing is there actually is already a house of the dead movie so this would be their second attempt. The first attempt...lets just say it didn't work out.
And House Of The Dead: Overkill is probably the best game in the franchise to adapt, i mean, it has Isaac Washington in it and dude's awesome.
None of those games have much of a story, but at least House Of The Dead could make for an entertaining silly movie, i mean House Of The Dead: Overkill is freaking awesome and has silly cutscenes at the start and end of every level.
At most moonbeam city seems sylistically interesting.
Archer I simply lost track of and it ended up getting to long to catch up on it.
Relatively old news, although I've been joking with friends about what if scenarios for a streets of rage film. I know there is a cg/live action hybrid sonic film in the works. I kind of want to think a shinobi or streets of rage film could work if they went full on 70s style action film.
None of these games are played for the story. You would be better off just making a new game for them instead of a movie.
I haven't even seen Archer. On another note SEGA is planning a bunch of live action movies of their franchises and boy do they all sound like a horrible idea. Shinobi, Golden Axe, Virtua Fighter, The House of the Dead, Crazy Taxi, Streets of rage and Altered Beast.
@Anon522497: hmm, I found Moonbeam City underwhelmed and for Archer up until their last season I actually got a bit tired of the cast (couldn't finish that season 7)
If i wanted Archer i would just watch Archer or Moonbeam City like everyone else.
Bloodivores
Anyone here watching Pacific Heat? It's an Aussie Archer-ripoff aired in Netflix last week. I actually enjoyed the 1st episode, not that great but everyone panned it like a plague.
@Anon, Who?
#StephanieJaworowiczIsBeautiful
@Mario: That'd be the compiliation film. I watched that based on hearing that the film version trimmed back on the shows weaker moments.
@Kaiser: was it the compilation film or the series itself? That scene is the highlight of that first season. I'm always a fan of KyoAni so it's very natural that I enjoy this series a whole lot.
I watched the first season of sound euphonium, not much to say for it other than I liked the teacher guy and the scene where the black haired girl tells the main character that she thinks shes hiding behind a mask. Animation was as expected of kyoani good. All of those emotion shots though and some of the melodrama...
@Kaiser, it does stop if you make an account.
Hmmm there we go again, it delayed sending my message for longer than it should have.
Anyone notice today and last night that the site has had some loading issues? I kept getting an error page for a while and it was also loading a bit more slowly. A server issue?
Have to say, Flip Flappers ep 5 was pretty good. I love atmospheric settings like that.
Looks like an Epee. The large bell guard, the fact that they are focusing on thrusting attacks instead of slashing (mostly). Fencing is alot of fun. Be prepared for some bruises though, as some people put their full body weight behind their thrusts.
I have one last dumb question, Can you tell what types of blade of Juri in Utena? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGsVSSUv_i0
@Lenlo: the more you described the more I found fencing interesting. I might take a look around my town to see if we have Fencing here (the curse of living in a small town).
Blades are slightly different, yes, but mostly just in their guard and how much they bend. Sabers bend easily, Epee's not so much. Surprisingly Epee is the slowest, because people tend to be more careful. Saber is actually the most aggressive of the blades, atleast at my skill level
That's all they had to do. Just stay inside and let it pass. But for some weird reason they just keep panicking over nothing.
As far as time/alternate world stuff goes this was ridiculously underwhelming. Just finished another movie called triangle and now that's how you do Time travel mindfuckery.
@Mario, I am not fond of movies where people make stupid decisions for no good reason. For example:
"We should just stay inside"
"No, staying inside isn't realistic"
WHY IN THE HOLY HELL ISN'T IT REALISTIC.
Showed that movie to a bunch of friends last year and I remembered one of the girl just shut off the movie after 15'
@Aidan: too bad. I found Cohenrent really funny and entertaining. Some of their twists are stupid but I was actually invested in much of their characters. Maybe because I always love movies about a bunch of characters in an isolated setting
@Lenlo: sounds like Epee is the most "all-out-attack" and aggressive one. Their blades are different as well I assume?
Just watched a movie called coherence and man, what a bunch a pseudo-intellectual garbage that was.
For Right of Way, its basically Person A attacks, Person B parries, Person A hits, Person B hits, Person B gets the point because they took right of way with the parry. Saber and Foil both have that, but Epee does not. Epee is simply "Whoever hits the opponent first, doesnt matter where, whole body is target area"
Theres Saber, Foil and Epee. The main difference is this thing called right of way, but there are other smaller ones like how Saber can hit with the edge and Epee is allowed to hit the entire body, instead of just the chest like Foil
For news, Blood Blockade Battlefront getting second season next year. As it was one of my favorite last year I'm really lokking forward to this second season
@Lenlo: that sounds great. From what I know from fencing there are 3 different types of blade right? So what are the differences between them? (Fencing 101 here)
Although a fantasy sports thing could also generate interest, such as combining sports together to create something totally new.
@SuperMario, Fencing was great. Favorite sport ever and it helped me stay in shape in College. I find Epee to be the best blade, mostly cause I fenced it, but its a very intense 3 minutes. Unlike sports like Soccer and such which is alot of sustained running, Fencing is 3 minutes of Dont-Stop-Moving then wait till next match. Gets really fun once you figure out your own style.
haha, I wouldn't mind either if each episode focus on a single sport/ character/ country. Or even the positive aspects like role models, sports inspirations and stuffs
That Olympic anime sounds great.
And it would be a good excuse to have characters of multiple backgrounds included too.
Could be an 13 episode ova series with 48 minute episodes, and if its to be an ensemble character drama you could have 10 minutes to a each character (the ones being focused on in that episode) in each episode.
Ah yes, aswell as cheating it could also get into "stage parenting", "abuse", "Disabilities" and also the general politics of sports, the backroom stuff.
I'll be the first in line if that olympic anime ever come out. Could be interesting to see the interactions between athletes in different sports, and then fans/athletes/coaches relationship, then the gold rush, doping... So much to talk around to
I don't think theres ever been a manga about hurling either. Hey heres an idea, someone do an ensemble drama anime that deals with the olympics, fit in multiple sports that way.
Personally I find Australian football much more exciting than rugby. Or crickets.
@Kaiser: ha! Interesting that you mentioned Gaelic football, because in Aus we have AFL (Australian Football League), that really similars to Gealic Football to the point sometimes we have the 2 national teams compete each other with modified rules
Hmm, lets see, sport under-represented in anime? Fencing, golf , Gaelic football, bowling, boat racing.
Hey, fencing is actually really cool. How did you like it Lenlo?
You have your point there Topgavin, as I clearly remember many instances where players' legs, backs or even necks got snapped during rugby's tackles. But in regards to Rugby I never really care about it. That and car racing
Its mostly the type of injuries you get that differ I think. Football you get concussions and broken bones and such, while in Rugby you probably get alot of bruises and cuts. Granted I have played neither, I was a Soccer man in highschool and fencing in College
American football has alot of rules, and really is just a bunch of millionaires running around chasing a ball. Rugby however, as Topgavin said, has no pads so when you get hit you get hit HARD
I never ceases to surprise me just how high and mighty visual novel fans can be over Mosaics present in localized games. I mean they are literally complaining about not seeing genitalia yet the way they phrase it, it's like they are fighting against great injustice. If these VNs were Nukige they might have a point but in most cases the sex scenes in question are pointless and shoehorned in.
@Mario Rugby is more extreme *because* it has no protective gear. No hiding behind helmets and cushioned shoulder pads when ya get bowled over.
@Lenlo: I'm no expert but isn't American football a variation of Rugby? And I believe american football is more extreme, considering they have to wear helmets, protection gears and all that
I dont think theres alot of manga about it because its simply not that popular outside the US. As far as it being a battlefield, eeeeh? Not really? You want a battlefield watch Rugby.
I can think of other cool sports that could be interesting to see in anime: Kick Volleyball (Sepak takraw), Bossaball (combined soccer, volleyball in a trampoline), or in the same vein of skate figures this season, why not pole dancing competition???
What other sport is cool and popular that remains original to write about by now? There isn't a lot of manga about it compared to anything else.
American football looks like a battlefield with a visible battleline and everything. Id like it if there wasnt so many darn commercials.
I mean, its a sport. Far cry from best, but its definitely a sport.
@Vonter: or maybe because american football IS the best sports ever?
@Vonter: Most likely due to the middle section of the original anime being the most popular bit.

Flip Flappers – 10 [Pure Jitter]

So her whole life is a lie, huh? Now that she realizes Yayaka’s friendship as a fake, Cocona’s partnership as a substitute, Flip Flapp organization downright used her for their gains, obaa-chan even betrayed her; Cocona is on a verge of complete breakdown, but who would’ve thought she transforms into the-other-dark-magical-girl-show level of insanity? Struck […]

Sound! Euphonium 2 – 10 [After-School Obbligato]

This season surely gives us too much of Kumiko-cuteness versions. After the fluffy little Kumiko last few weeks, the bedridden sore throat Kumiko, the surprisingly “always listening – always understanding” (such a pretentious slogan) Kumiko last week, what shades pf Kumiko is in store for us this week? Of course it’s an emo teary-eyes Kumiko. […]

Occultic;Nine – 09[Future Days]

The presentation of Occultic;Nine is starting to remind me of speed Racer, an anime from a bygone era which had a rather infamous dub. Basically due to the literal translation, the way which Japanese can say more with less words and the speed of dialogue it required the dub actors to say a large amount […]

Magical Girl Raising Project – 10[Super-Hot! Back-to-Back Battle Events!]

I am really starting to dislike how this show is killing off the characters I grow remotely interested in while leaving only the dullest characters to carry the show. Don’t take that to mean I cared about the remaining twin angel that got killed off because her death was pretty deserved. But this cements the […]

Drifters – 09[Serious Bomber]

Drifters is at it’s best when the Orte are getting trounced and they are certainly getting a beating here. I could complain over how the Orte are one dimensional villains but after the master race bull and the concentration camp here they are quite literally Nazi’s at this point. Nazi’s are the one type of […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 08 [Image – Distant Thunder part 1]

We’re back with 3-gatsu no Lion after a week hiatus from sick leave (I know everyone got sick last week, be it in springtime in this corner of the world, or the start of winter elsewhere) and I’m glad that the show returns in good form. Kyouko might be the most distinctive character the show […]

Flip Flappers – 09 [Pure Mute]

Again this week, Yayaka takes up the stage and by the end of this episode her arc is basically over, now that she is abandoned by the Cult and is taken over by Cocona and Papika. But what an emotional ride this episode delivers. I’m particularly taken not only by the action and consequence she […]

Occultic;Nine – 07-08[Happiness is a Warm Gun]

By episode sevens end it did confirm that indeed, the majority of the cast is dead which brings up a whole host of problems. For you see while this twist may seem like a interesting left turn, it only really works if you consider the time a character is shown on screen the only time […]

Sound! Euphonium 2 – 09 [Sound! Euphonium]

Two-third of this Fall season have passed and usually this is the time for our shows to reach to their full potential. Sound Eupho, comfortably delivers one of its best episode of this second season. As you can probably tell by the self-titled nature of this episode, our Eupho players are given as the centerpiece […]

Strange Frame – Love & Sax (2012) Movie Review – 76/100

Thunderbolt Fantasy Review – 84/100

orange Review – 73/100

What would you do if you receive letters from your future-self saying that you can change your future? That’s exactly what Naho experienced as she obtains ones from herself 10 years later that urge her to look after her new friend and prevent him from committing suicide. The premise, I agree, is hardly anything groundbreaking, […]

91 Days Review – 68/100

When taking up the job of checking out every anime season you really can starve for something different. Variety is the spice of life and yet the entertainment industry seems determined to give us more of the same. So in the sea of average high school students gaining superpowers and harems I see an anime […]

Mob Psycho 100 Review – 80/100

After the explosive popularity of One Punch Man it really was a high bar that another work of the author ONE had to reach. While it didn’t quite manage that it still differentiated itself enough to allow it to be a worthy anime of it’s own right. But admittedly that will depend on whether this […]

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World Review – 91/100