Posted by psgels on 4 September 2009 with categories: Tokyo Magnitude 8.0

Oh my god. I’m just… at a loss for words after this episode. This episode was just beyond sad. I’ve been a huge fan of Noitamina for years now, and I have watched every single of its shows aside from Honey and Clover. But damn, this series has a good chance to be the best thing that Noitamina ever brought forth…

Now that we’ve finally arrived at the last part of the story, it’s time for all of the build-up to pay off. IE: it’s time for this series to get back to the amazing quality of the first five episodes. Mari gets home this time, and starts looking for her mother and daughter. At first sight, they appear dead, but eventually they turn out to have survived in one of the most heart-wrenching reunions. Usually when anime try to play around with “is he dead or not”, this feels rather cheap, but within the context of this series it becomes downright scary. With so many people dead, and at the same time so many survivors left not knowing what happened. There’s no way of telling who might have survived or not. Heck, are we even sure that Mirai’s parents survived?

Speaking of which: OMG at the cliff-hanger at the end. Mirai and Yuuki have actually decided to travel to their homes ALONE!? Taken into account what happened to Yuuki in the previous episode… how the heck are the creators going to end this?! Probably the most evil thing of this episode was that even though Yuuki is most likely SPOILER just about everything kept Red Herringing around him.

I now see why I was so disappointed with episode 6 and 7: with such an amazing start, I expected the rest of the series to be also this consistent in quality, while in fact they were meant as a calm before the storm: they were meant to build up, and take it easy a bit for the finale. I’ve indeed been incredibly stupid thinking that this series was going to jump the shark in its second half. This episode was utterly amazing, and the final two episodes… wow… just wow.
Rating: **** (Fantastic)

1. Perrin4869 says:

This one has a really strong potential to become my favorite of 2009. I’m highly anticipating the final 2 episodes!

2. tealovertoma says:

They handled Mari’s reunion really really well. I didn’t know you handed out 4 stars, but I agree with it :P

3. AnonBAWWW says:

The part where Mari says “Yuuki and you?” confirms he’s DIE-joubu.

Mirai even has a flashback of the ‘dreams’ then Yuuki looks all sad, like the web of denial is breaking up.
    She has to cut him off from saying ‘Onee-chan, you know…’ but he says it again at the very end.

FUCK YEAH BONES, BEST SHOW THIS SEASON!

4. Chris K says:

Yes, this was a great episode that included a ton of emotional impact but I now really fear for Mirai.

I had thought that Mirai’s delusion would have resolved itself during this episode, she knows in her mind that Yuuki’s dead, so it really troubles me that the delusion is continuing. I really hope that Mari can catch up with her and snap her out of it before she has to come to terms with what she’s finds at her house, good, or bad.

I had jokingly commented on another site that Mirai and Mari would end up together because everyone else will have died, but now I’m getting a bad feeling that Mirai just might end up being a orphan; tears roll down my cheek at that thought.

5. Patrick says:

I still think that the kid’s death is a quite bit cheap (now I’m ok, now I’m dead), but someone had to die for the show to have a decent ending (the kid, mari’s family or mirai’s family).

6. Theowne says:

Meh, I can’t share the enthusiasm for this one, psgels. For a show that started off being a relatively down-to-earth portrayal of believable earthquake victims finding their way home to suddenly become about a healthy girl who has gone insane talking with the dead ghost of her brother….with very little transition, mind you. I dunno. Something’s off.

7. Anon says:

Couldn’t be more obvious tbh… Mari running down the escalator w/ the back pack, while Yuuki has it on his back in the truck.

8. AnonBAWWW says:

@6

Real trauma and shock is sudden like that.
    There was little foreshadowing, except when he trolled in EP4 and I rather like it,
    I’m bored of silly build up that’s so obvious it loses it’s effect clichés.

9. riddle says:

this show is awesome beyond awesome unlike this was the first time some stupid anime actually touches me and make me tear up

10. reverse says:

Fantastic ? not quite Is was a good solid episode.

to see mari react like that just doesn’t seamed “real”. let me put it into perspective you have a girl that just lose his brother and you just lost your daughter, yes you should to be sad. however you should not ignore that girl feeling. she suffer as much as you do. to see Mirai running “alone” searching for your daughter is something that should not happen. mari should keep a close eye and distance to mirai, no matter how well she might look she still a kid, and you an adult

well this not true if yuuki is alive. but it just not seemed so.

anyway I a bit annoy by those cg background character. the cg character basically being reuse all the time, and to make thing worse they don’t even bother change the color.

11. Frost says:

Interesting episode… I thought they would start off by make it clear that yuuki is indeed dead, since after the huge discussion everyone already knows it, but its like nothing happened

So Im guessing yuuki will still be here until the last episode, and theres a high chance the cliff hanger of ep 10 is mirai finally realizing hes dead

Lets see, this show tends to be not so predictable, so it might surprise us

12. psgels psgels says:

Reverse: actually, I think that different people in those situations act entirely different. When I’m in such a situation, I become hyperactive and start doing things that don’t make a lot of sense, so I can somewhat understand how Mari lost track of Mirai in this episode. Apparently, you are more level-headed in those sorts of situations. It’s a good trait, but not everyone’s like this.

13. reverse says:

yes that the reason I quote the real word. yes people act differently
    but based on mari personality she should not do that. she had multiple chance to go home early. she decided not to.
    if she do not possesses those trait, she already abandon yuuki and Mirai from the moment she got the chance

14. Elrondp says:

You just said everything I had on my mind. They went down at half -I hated those extra characters- but the cliffhanger has paid off. I’ll hope the end is so tocuhing I’d cry.

15. madmind says:

To me, this episode besides the closure of Mari’s story also marks the end of Mirai’s arc if you can call it that way. At the beginning of this series, Mirai simply was a spoiled brat who blamed the world for everything. But now? Though with a little push by Yuuki she unselfishly helped Mari and searched for her family, although everything seemed to be so desperate. She not only changed 180 degrees but even fulfilled her own statement in episode 5 that she can do something now. Perhaps you could even say that she symbolically defeated death, after death got Yuuki. She has done something and truly helped someone else by reuniting a family.

Since both arcs are finished I expect that the next episode will fully deal with Yuuki’s death, perhaps Mirai’ character arc will even “overstretch” so that her statement “The world should simply break” from episode 1 will transform to “I should simply break” because she might blame herself for his death (if the documents from last episode were a hint of his cause of death (Tokyo Tower incidence, anyone?)). Perhaps the next episode will even end with a suicide attempt of Mirai.

16. Julian says:

Mmmmm, I quite think that the series finale won’t really involved anyone else dying but rather Mirai’s mental condition—.

17. AlexS says:

I’m really happy that in this episode the denial already started to break down. It would have been a let down it it had worked as well as in the previous episode.

Mirai is trying very hard to bring Yuuki, or the memory of Yuuki home, so I don’t see her giving up on him before that, unless she snaps.

Mari’s family reunion was also a rehearsal of what’s to come, which is good because they will have to play it differently. I’m curious as to what they have in store.

Two episodes is not much for the storm that is coming, but I hope that they leave enough screen time for an aftermath. I would like to know how Mirai evolves after this tragedy, what kind of relation Mari and Mirai could have in the future, if any.

18. Solaris says:

I rewatched last episode two times because something didn’t look quite right there. And now this episode confirms it. Nobody speaks to Yuuki except his sister. No way. Is it real? Did the little brat really die? But it makes sense so much. “oneechan you know?” oh god!

19. Nick says:

Sixth Sense all over again.

20. m says:

There’s a scene where Mirai has to ask Yuuki’s question to Mari. They also play the game of having Mari look back at Mirai without showing Yuuki in the shot, even though he’s always standing next to or behind her. They’re really playing with the audience. Meanies.

In a way I liked Mari’s response. If we assume that Mari has long suspected that her family didn’t survive, then the way that she accepts each narrative of their demise, and how this forces Mirai to progress the story, makes a certain amount of sense. Everything confirms the doubt she carried and extinguishes the little bits of hope that have kept her going. It also provides an opportunity for Mirai to adopt some of Yuuki’s optimistic determination, since it is by proxy of her delusion of him that she looks for Mari’s family. It might even illuminate a little of the reckless way that Mari treats her own life, as she rescue Mirai from herself repeatedly in the second episode. The one problem I have is that Mari’s reluctance to inspect the bodies basically motivates the longer adventure of searching the cluster bomb of elementary schools in the area, and I don’t know how to reconcile it with my model. If she had really accepted the doom of her family, would she have been so reluctant to see her daughter’s face? Is it out of guilt? Is it the last bit of denial? Is she worried to remember her daughter as burn victim? The way that Mirai’s return with her daughter comes as a surprise to a Mari we see sitting outside, we can assume that Mari never actually identified the bodies of her family before leaving. It doesn’t look like the behavior of someone that has been completely defeated, which would be more passive and involve going through the motions, but rather the actions of someone still fighting the inevitable. Wouldn’t that Mari have looked for an escape at rubble instead of accepting their demise? Hmm, I don’t know.

21. Theowne says:

@8
    “Real trauma and shock is sudden like that.”

Well, no, it isn’t. In real life people don’t start seeing extended multisensory hallucinations of people unless they are, well, insane or have a history of mental issues. Grief, particularly sibling grief, has a variety of effects but hanging out with the ghost of the deceased is not one of them.

Another thing I didn’t like about this episode is how they pulled the “look they’re dead, oh wait they’re alive” AGAIN. It gets tiresome and feels cliched.

I don’t mind this kind of storytelling all that much, it’s just the first few episodes were going down the path of a believable story of people finding their way back home after an earthquake, and now it has descended into B-movie territory with talking hallucinations and bait-and-switch deaths.

22. Ritz says:

To reverse: Wth, Mari thought she had lost her entire family, even if she was the most mature person in the world your feelings and mind would be fucked up, Mirai obviously understood that.

I love this show, I don’t think it’s extremely out of place that Mirai is seeing hallucinations…I mean it’s not like she is seeing his ghost, she is projecting Yuuki from her mind. I dunno, I don’t find it hard to believe. The trauma was big.

23. cyril says:

I understand that it’s an adult anime etc, but I don’t think they can seriously really “kill” Yuuki. What – with the history of lucky escapes so far. I predict that Yuuki slipped into coma and they left him at the hospital and when Mari and Mirai find the parents and get back to the hospital, Yuuki wakes up. Happy end.
    I, personally, wouldn’t mind it.

24. Judy says:

Fantastic ? not quite Is was a good solid episode.

E©agree with you,E reverse.
    We do not need Sixth Sense in this show.

25. cyril says:

Come to think of it: piggybank in the bag == urn?
    ;_;

26. Larien says:

I agree that Mari’s reaction to the “death” of her family was correct for most – I am extremely close with my mother, and if I were to find out she’d died, no child in my care would matter to me anymore and I would lose sight of everything around me and be in complete despair.

I think Mirai is slowly beginning to realize that her brother is gone – remember that the way Yuuki is manifested to Mirai is entirely her creation, her subconscious is inventing every word he says and every action he makes. At the end of this episode, Yuuki needs to tell her something – I’m guessing it’s something along the lines of, “I’m gone, let me go” and so it’s really her mind telling her (after being briefly reminded of his hospital ordeal when seeing Mari’s family in the hospital) to begin accepting it.

Earlier in the series Mirai was quite negative in some respects, kind of a Debbie Downer about things – earlier she would have accepted Hina’s death and not gone looking for her. I imagine her saying something like, “She’s dead, she’s right here in front of us…” But this time, her made up Yuuki which is in fact her own subconscious is pushing her to NOT accept it, and search anyway. Through “Yuuki,” she’s gained optimism.

So it’s my belief that Yuuki is less of a hallucination and more of a subconscious thought process, which can’t be physically portrayed in any way, as it’s someone’s mind and thoughts, so it takes form as her visualizing Yuuki. And Mirai is most likely feeling a sense of guilt, this was the little brother who annoyed her, and now he’s gone – this is her chance to be a better sister. She can’t face that she never really acknowledged her true love for him.

27. Larien says:

OH And I forgot to add this:

At the end of the episode, the anchorwoman incorrectly refers to Crash Syndrome, which is in fact called “Crush Syndrome” – the cause of Yuuki’s death. Remember when he was trapped under the rubble in the mall? He sustained serious internal injury from the crushing pressure, and is usually fatal is treatment is not immediately given.

It’s common in earthquakes.

28. Echo says:

Ah thanks for that clarification, Larien – I looked up “crash syndrome” (thinking it was Mirai’s disease) and only got some obscure descriptions.

2 things about this ep:
    When they came upon the supposed bodies of Mari’s mom and daughter, I resolved that they weren’t dead unless Mari actually confirmed their faces. Especially with the mind games of the previous episode, how can you just assume they’re the right people? So that supposed death scene didn’t really affect me, rather bothered me that Mari didn’t feel like actually checking them and just accepted them as her family.

Looking back at the last 2 episodes assuming Yuki is gone, it annoys me that Mari doesn’t have a stronger reaction to Mirai treating her brother as if he were alive. I believe she figures it out in ep 8, even tears up about it in front of Mirai….and they’re always walking together; can she not hear Mirai conversing with herself? Just how long was she going to let Mirai live in denial?

I honestly was expecting the truth to be revealed when Mari and her daughter were reunited with grandma and Mirai is introduced to them – alone. But no, she wanders off again, and only now does Mari seem distressed that Mirai is out and about thinking that her brother is still with her.

29. Pearlholy says:

Larien, I believe it was the people who subbed the episode made a small mistake in the previews. After replaying the end several times, I believe the anchorwoman said ‘Crush Syndrome’. I could be wrong, however it was harder to differentiate ‘Crush’ and ‘Crash’.

On the side note, I do believe that recycling the ‘He’s dead OR NOT’ idea, is slightly cliche. However, the producers wrote it nicely. So, I cannot bring myself to criticize and complain about it. I was relieved to see that Mari’s family were okay. Everyone pretty much said what I have been contemplating about; I do believe Mirai’s behaviour/trauma is quite realistic. Perhaps the producers failed to make it less cliche for some the viewers to enjoy. But I cannot help but to sympathized with Mirai. For someone who disregarded and barely cared for her brother, I was sad that Yuuki died right after they began to get along.

On the side note, I feel like Mari is like an adult version of Mirai. I would not know how to word it out but yeah… >_>;;

30. dickens says:

Okay guys, I can understand that some people like this stylized storytelling but can you stop using the word realistic? I’m not going to call myself an expert, but I’ve been studying psychology for 3 years and what is portrayed in this anime is certainly not realistic. In cases of trauma and grief people do not suddenly see the walking talking ghosts of the deceased as if they are alive. That is pure movie tropes that don’t happen in real life. They have brief hallucinations, yes, but only people who are already unstable in the head have the kind of experiences Mirai is having.

31. Dian says:

I knew it!!! i just knew it from ep. 8 , but I’m in denial!! and the first time I watch ep. 9, the clue of yuuki died jumps here and there, I mean, yuuki doesn’t talk with mari-chan anymore, the backpack!! oh god, I hate it!! bring Yuuki backk!!

32. Divaa says:

Woah am I the only one who didn’t know he was dead?
    Wow, I usually catch on to that stuff.

33. Reiter says:

Mirai and Yuuki seriously have got to stop wandering off alone by themselves. Whatever happened to their promise of them telling each other where they were going before leaving? It seems like they do it every single episode! XD

Ok, I guess in this case Mirai, in her tragic state of denial, believes that everything will be all ok with sunshine and rainbows now that Mari has been reunited with her mother and daughter, and that frees Mirai and what she thinks is Yuuki to stop being a burden to Mari and to continue on their own way back home alone. I did like how Mirai, through Yuuki, was convinced not to give up and to keep looking for Mari’s family despite the odds. Yuuki’s ever present optimism, even after his death (or specifically, because of it) really did rub off on Mirai.

It’s just sad that it took the death of Yuuki for Mirai to finally start appreciating her little brother and his sunny, innocent way of looking at the world, rather than sulk and wallow in self pity and cynicism like most teenagers are wont to do, even in the face of disaster.

This isn’t the first time that an anime series killed off the sweet, innocent young brother character (for drama’s sake or whatever the case may be). Blood+ did something similar. Yes, Mirai hallucinating her brother to be alive and being in complete denial about his death is very TV/movie-tropish and not very realistic at all, but it’s all about building drama, I guess, particularly in the case where the last two episodes are going to focus on Mirai (and/or her parents) confronting the truth about the tragedy.

Still, I’m enjoying the show a lot, flaws and all. It does remind me a little bit of Grave of the Fireflies; completely different scenario and emotional tones, but comparisons can be made for how the characters react to tragedy and disaster. I’m hoping Mirai doesn’t end up an orphan by the end, though if that were the case, I could see Mari adopting her into her family as a result.

34. AnimaticallyInsane says:

Awesome episode! espcially the renuion between Mari and her daughter (and her mother)!

However, i hated the cliff hanger at the end of the episode. I was hoping that they would clear up yuki’s death in this episode but NO….they gave us another cliff hanger and we are still in denial….

For me i hope that Yuki is still alive but just in serious condition such that hes at the hospital still and actually not dead….but we will see in the next episode (hopefully….)

35. Pafiume says:

I really enjoyed this episode. The only thing that made it weird was Yuuki going, “Hey, maybe they’re alive!” I can understand optimism, but that’s like, “Hey, let’s take a shot in the dark.” And it was another one of those little hints that usually mean whatever it’s talking about is true. Which it was. I would have thought that when Mari lifted the towels off the unidentified bodies and realized they WEREN’T her family they would go searching again. The situation in the episode is much more enjoyable, though.

Personally, I don’t see how Yukki could still be alive. If he was alive, and just in critical condition as people are hoping, I don’t think Mirai would have delusions about him. Additionally, why would she and Mari leave him alone in a hospital? It’s still possible I guess, and I wouldn’t mind for him to be alive, but I don’t think so. I think that the last “dream sequence” from the episode he was in the hospital, where the doctor comes out and Mirai bursts into tears, was the real thing. And if I remember correctly his heart beat went out?

The part with the backpack was the most interesting to me. After Mari ran out with the backpack in hand, and you see the close up of Yukki, it looks like he still has the straps on his shoulders. I wonder if what snaps Mirai out of it is Mari chasing after them (and catching up eventually?) and showing the backpack!

dickens: I can totally agree that that isn’t realistic. The moment I saw that the Yuuki hallucination wasn’t just going away after they went off the soccer field in the hospital it went from realistic to a little over the top.

36. KamikazeSim says:

Mari’s reunion with her family made me cry. I have teared up in this series many times but tears finally came out of my eyes in this episode. Seeing Mari hug her daughter made me so happy with tears especially since Yuuki is dead.

“Three days since the earthquake….Repeated occurrences of Crush syndrome have been reported.” Like Larian said (#27), its common in earthquakes.

He HAS to be dead. This show has been too damn good with the minor hints spread out that it will be disappointing if we get a Deus Ex Machina ending with Yuuki being in a coma in the hospital.

Not trying to be depressing but the tease of his death has made this show better than anything this year. Thursday night cannot get here sooner!

37. FusionKilla says:

Actually there is a CRASH syndrome and it is inherited as an X-linked trait and so affects mainly boys

38. saku says:

what? you haven’t watched honey & clover??
    O_O

39. Solaris says:

@Saku, what’s so strange about it? I also skipped Honey and Clover ’cause I don’t like that stuff so much (romance movies)

40. meow says:

Regarding Mari’s hesitation to verify the identities of the two corpses, I think I can agree that this is realistic. The builds of those corpses looked similar to her mom and daughter, right down to the little girl’s hair ornaments – although they were a different color. I don’t think it’s that abnormal to hesitate to confirm a possible terrible truth – kind of like being terrified of checking the results of a medical test to see if you have some incurable fatal disease. How many of us would be prepared to look into the dead faces of a loved one? I also thought this scene and this line of story was an important illustration of difficulty identifying the dead in the midst of the major disaster. Earlier in the story, there was a minor scene where a relief worker admonished a father from taking the body of her daughter away before it was officially identified. Here, Mari was prepared to accept that her family was dead, even though in fact, they were alive somewhere else.

I thought also that having Mari pressed into duty as a nurse for her injured mother by the hospital was also a nice touch. It was both a realistic depiction of a real earthquake situation and a useful plot device to separate Mari and Mirai for dramatic effect to draw out how Mirai would settle her situation with Yuki. Although Yuki is dead, he remains a main character and I think final resolution of this won’t happen til up to the very last episode.

I agree with what people have said her about Mirai’s hallucination of Yuuki being the most unrealistic part of this story. (Actually, I’m wondering if Yuuki is meant to be Yuuki’s actual ghost rather than simply a hallucination. I agree that the situation doesn’t seem quite right for her to be seeing things – she’s exhausted and extremely stressed but not on any drugs and hasn’t had head injuries…?) However, I feel that this series is meant to be something like a semi-documentary to prepare people for events and issues that can happen during a real earthquake and unfortunately, one of the most difficult and unfortunately potentially unavoidable issues to deal with is the death of a precious and irreplaceable loved one. I’m curious to see how this show will handle this. There also remains the issue of whether Mirai’s parents survived.

41. Theowne says:

@Solaris
    Honey and Clover is more than a “romance” show, in fact that romance elements are the least important part of the show in my personal opinion.

42. Solaris says:

Thx theowne (and saku). I might give it a try, just to make sure i guessed rigth or wrong about the anime. But i have some more shows on my watch list by now, so Honey and Clover will have to wait.

43. Snowolf says:

SPOILER ALERT! (for people who don’t wanna know- please skip this comment. but you probably do know because half of these past comments show the spoiler without alerting it)

Guys, hallucination is perfectly normal for under stress, pressure, strain and shock. It’s what causes hallucinations, otherwise than a blow to your head, or if you’re stocked up on drugs.

Mirai’s delusions, as we all know by now fully well that her brother is dead, it is perfectly fine for her to have delusions. She’s only a child, and is not used to having such a trauma in her life. And the fact it came so unexpectedly also adds to reason of why’d she have a hallucination. (It’s a hallucination by the way, not a delusion).

I saw episode ten, and I won’t reveal anything, but if you thought this show could get any more depressing, you thought wrong. It got a hell lot more sad, and I couldn’t stop crying.

44. Snowolf says:

Even more reasons- she’s tired, hungry, lonely, mentally exhausted, and loves her brother. :D

*bring tissues for next episode*

45. Pearlholy says:

For someone who has been studying psychology for quite some time now, I think you have disregarded the fact that visual and auditory hallucinations are down-to-earth results of extreme trauma, stress, strain and fatigue like Snowolf has stated. It was sort of pretentious of you to claim that because I am currently studying/majoring in Psychology as well. It was offending to see your remarks. While I may not be opening my textbooks while analyzing the situation, I think what most people are trying to say when they mention realistic, they mean ‘down-to-earth’, including myself. Anyone can be unstable after losing someone dear to them and children, adolescents are more sensitive to tragic experiences and it takes very little to make the tip over. If Mirai manages to get over her hallucination, then she is not as ‘unstable’ as we think…

Anonymous2028258
so i just recently rewatched fullmetal panic fumoffu and i gotta say that this is easily one of Kyo ani's best works. It's such a surprise that this was their first anime; it's a damn good romance comedy
@Anon: Lol I love B-movie type stuff, because the rules are off.
I was the only person who watched Mazinkaiser skl and shin mazinger and skullman.
Anonymous2026379
@Kaiser Takeshi Koike really wanted to really sell it as a grindhouse feature and I ate that shit up; I really dug the tone he was going for.
@Anon: It was strange seeing that Goemon short, much as I enjoyed it, thats the goriest I seen lupin get.
Anonymous2026379
Megalo box is pure retro while lupin is a mix of old and new...and you're right; people just think they can't jump right into it. But that's why more people should be talking about it; to let the masses know that you don't need a starting point to get into the Lupin franchise
I'm a massive fan of the devilman manga and I thought devilman crybaby was better than it.
Anonymous2026379
90's-esque throwback feeling shows like lupin and megalo box have been giving me
Anonymous2026379
Luoin part 5 is definitely mixing the best of new and old. Honestly, I've been having a blast with it as well as this generally 90
I think the problem is, people see lupin as this long thing they can't get into, when really its so episodic/standalone mostly you can pick up and watch.
And of course getting the best bits out of old and new.
*visual style
I'm a fan of this hybrid old and new style, megalobox does it too, mine fujiko aswell and casshern sins.
I was surprised by how well the Fujiko mine show came together in the end.
I'll be interested in picking up more facts about thrm.
Come think of it, Akira Kurosawa did some old western (eastern?) in Russian, that had an Ainu in it.
Anonymous2026379
Asirpa is sooooo adorable.....almost feels patronizing to say that about her due to how badass she is
Anonymous2026379
What makes Fujiko work so well as this sexy icon is that she isn't just sexy: she's smart as shit and uses that sexiness to dominate and control her opponents (similar to bayonetta) rather than be chained by the objectification of her opponents (and the viewers for that matter)
Anonymous2026379
I wonder what other obscure cameos we may get this season. And yea you're right about some of Lupin's potentially sexist traits being assuaged by his level of cool and the genuine respect he shows a good deal of the women he has encountered throughout the series
@Anon: Yet still a fun film at the same time.
Anonymous2026379
@Kaiser Yea, mamo was a pretty dark element introduced to the lupin franchise; and considering the tone of the gravestone of Jigen, it makes sense he would cameo there
@Mario: Help I want to kidnap Asirpa =<
@Anon: I'm probably as surprised as you, at finding someone to talk to about Lupin on here.
@Anon: And through comparing/contrasting the jigen grave stone and Fujiko mine, with some of the sillier older ones, it shows the Lupin characters are flexible enough to work both in a darker AND sillier context.
*character
@Anon: Fujiko is precisely how a fanservicey character should work and how built in/essential it is to her haracter, without becoming an irritant.
@Anon: By all means Lupin himself shouldn't be a character we like, much like Bond, but like Bond theres a coolness to the character that allows us to love him.
@Anon: Another great thing about Lupin is how it uses its 60s cool to get away with what would normally probably be considered fairly sexist.
@Anon: I had a big smile on my face when Mamo made a cameo appearance at the end of one of the recent ones and thats because I remember the Lupin Mamo movie was one of those first anime that I watched about 20 years aago.
Anonymous2026379
not to mention that its one of the few anime this season that actually knows how to utilize dialogue to explore flesh out its characters rather than exposition or contrivance: looking at you darling in the franxx
Anonymous2026379
@Kaiser-Eoghan Nice fun facts; but yea Lupin III is a series that has always had an amazing sense of pacing and adventure, traits that are definitely on display this season
@Anon: Its a huge franchise too so I'm often never sure where to go next.
@Anon: You may or may not know this, but the voice actor for solid snake voiced Lupin in one of the dubs.
@Anon: I watched a few episodes of the Italy set lupin show too .
Its a fun franchise due to its cast but its something I have to follow irregularly, lest it get repetitive.
@Anon: Fun fact, guy who directed the gold of babylon film was a famous B-movie noir director in the 60s.
Dont trust anything written by the original SAO author. Everything is his fault. Kirito is not in this series.
Even the original SAO author has little to do with it, which is why its actually good
So SAO Alt is basically completely removed from the rest of SAO
@Anon: Lupin is one of those things I dip in and out of, whatever part of the franchise it is. I've seen birdcage kingdom, Mamo, cagliostro, nostradamus, Jigens grave stone, mine fujiko and the recent Goemon centred special.
Anonymous2026379
it's a damn shame not a lot of ppl are talkig about/watching lupin the third this season
But for all I know with that team behind it, its an improvement, but theres probably not much point in me watching as I dropped the first season after less than 10 episodes.
See how he attempts to seduce me into watching something related to sword art.
Huh... I didnt know the writer for SAO Alt was written by the Kino's Journey creator and produced by the Flip Flappers people. Explains a lot
I wish I knew what you meant by shaman girls, and I cant wait
@Lenlo, Oh I know Leskinen. May he find his Japanese Shaman girls one day. But seeing as I know the story I wanna experience it differently.
@Mario: Its even set in hokkaido, Korean/Japanese director, Japanese cast, Ken Watanabe is in it: https://letterboxd.com/film/unforgiven-2013/
Also, I love the ED. Really, 2 episodes in, I love S;G all over again.
@Kaiser: really? They remade Unforgiven in Japanese?
its*
Like... is good.
But your missing out on the cult of Leskinen. The engrish is actually one of my favorite parts
@Lenlo, Meanwhile I am happily waiting for the dub.
Dangit... I have to wait another week for Steins;Gate 0 now. I cant do this.
@Mario: The Japanese remake of unforgiven had ainu people in it.
Anonymous2025797
Also I wonder if budget is distributed according to the director, some animes will spend more in the first episode. Some will spend more in the last ones. It's subjective, but if it's like all business it is looking for the better result at the minimum expense. Hence why I believe Berserk was made the way it did.
Anonymous2025797
@Kaiser-Eoghan - Ideally a story should be as long as it needs. But reality seems that a number of episodes is decided before production. And so you either have to stretch or cut material. Kinda like that 300 page manga of Les Miserables, is simply unfeasible translating that book into that few pages.
Oberstein was a great character.
I actually feel Aidan can do a good job on it. Sometimes been too exposed to the material may lead to clouded eyes.
Though I'm surprised by how I unexpectedly laughed at wotaku, I do wonder if later on it will include any slight drama elements to sustain interest.
OMO; OBERsteins; Gate =P
From watching episode 2 of golden kamuy, yeah, the source material definitely is lifting this.
I'm going to have to wait and see on steins; gate 0, it is encouraging to here this might be darker , at the same time I remember having to sit through too much goofy humour in the first one.
I was actually surprised, that, while rare, there were some moments of humour, that lightened it for me.
Throughout the entire series I expected Oberstein to pull some inevitable double cross. And was shocked when he never did.
@Kaiser: Agree with Oberstein. I think antagonists are es important as the mains in fiction and I loved this guy, he's perfect for series like these.
Galactic heroes was an example of where when watching it, when big death scenes occured, I would make noooooo and shouting noises at the screen while clenching my fist.
I love characters like Oberstein, shrewd, clever, but done right to where I can believe it, not characters like, say Lelouch .
I'd be concerned if the new galactic heroes series skimps on the violence, that kind of thing needs to be in there, in most shows/films and shown to be explicit, consequences need to be shown.
*about, not with
Sadly, most original 2+ cours series I know feel dragged whereas many 1 cours originals could have needed ~3 more episodes. Talking with series that have an actual plot of course.
I really like the 13 episodes thingy for originals but I wish there would be more 26 episodes series, especially for adaptions.
@Kaiser: I agree. Nothing kills my interest faster than formularic episodes and repetition.
In general I think 50 episodes would be the most I'd watch for an anime, 39 seems ideal.
Or worse and the romance drama is the main plot and it's Kiznaiver all over again, while the rest is just flavor to make the romances more forced since they're the MCs are only teens and such. Dunno but I can never bring myself to care about this kind of stuff.
Though better 110 episodes of galactic heroes than a long shounen that just repeats itself.
Speaking of recent episodes, I unironically thing that FranXX's world (building) is pretty interesting (although I hope those klaxxosaurusses will be more than just random cannon fodder) but I doubt the series will ever get to the main plot again the next time.
Same here. It was really the only time I did this. I am usually exhausted by just thinking about marathoning long series. It's the reason why I won't get into FMP for the new series either. LotGH was an exception since I found it easily to watch for some reason.
Man, just image burning through 110 episodes of it and my spirit fades away
Watched that whole series ages ago.
Just watched the first three Neue These episodes and I surprinsingly liked it. Thought I would hate it due to being an OVA fan, and I still prefer the old designs by far but overall it's pretty good. I think I might even prefer this version of the first battle, but I have to rewatch the old one I guess.
Also while I can't remember which episode, Yang picks up a book with the author of the series' name on it.
Arslan feels so lightweight by contrast/comparison.
And I think, given your knowledge KTtravlos, that a series review of the new galactic heroes season would probably benefit from you writing it.
I bring up the music in my earlier comment, because I can understand your reservations regarding the music choice in the remake.
And certainly one of those shows, that going back to the first episode after finishing, gives a strong perspective just on how evolving the series was.
*despite me not
Despite not being monarchist , because the characters were human moreso than cartoon characters I couldn't hate on Reinhard.
@Travlos: I suppose by the time it got to Julian's arc, I was surprised they were still bothering to fight but the fact that they were essentially the last bastion of their beliefs made it special.
@Travlos: Sometimes when I just finish a show, its a case where I HAVE to jump online immediately after and excitedly ramble out an essay on it.
niello
ugh democracy
@Kaiser ultimately LOGH for me was a decisive point in my political life, as I think it made the best defense of democracy in any form I have seen. And it worked partly because the opponent was presented in the best possible incarnation (Rienhard). Yang's continued adherence to democracy, despite recongising its flaws, helped me avoid a personal descent into authoritarian politics.
@Kaiser. I am happy you had a good experience. I watched the prequels a while after the main show and I was happy because it was great getting back to those characters. The prequels were also great in fleshing the setting and the characters. So yes, take your time and a break. That way the prequels will be like visiting a place you liked again after a while.
@KTtravlos: I have some other stuff to get through before watching the galactic heroes prequel though =<
YES according to discord poster I'm not a millenial!
Sorry for overposting. I have always always being an incredibly verbose person.
@Vonter; Not that I oppose captilistically made for a buck cinema, it can be entertaining yes, but I set a standard.
@Vonter: As open as I am to trash cinema, I consider the resident evil films, like the superhero ones, anti-art.
I can understand why people don't like Villier, but he did I think work as a device to add extra tension.
I feel some release at finishing but at the same time sadness at saying goodbye to the show and its characters.
, showing its age.
But for something of this length, it kept itself up far better than most long shows and I feel the length its somewhat justified.

On another note….as corny as the third ending theme is, I got the feels listening to it.
But while the first 50 odd episodes were an easy job for me aswell as all of the 4th season and some of the late 3rd season made it difficult for me to pull myself away from it, the dialogue even though often well observed did become difficult to follow at times and somewhere in the middle theres a stretch of episodes, bar some moments that feel a bit of an endurance test and the animation is at
Its attention to detail I felt was at its strongest in the documentary and the series dedication to filling the view in on its world building/fictional history.
I admired the scope, ambition of this series and the battles eventually grew on me and I was surprised by just how visceral the melee combat got which suited me perfectly. At the same time for all the strategy and action, I found myself more in it for the story, characters and intrigue/politicking. Those battles, due in part to their music choices, had an epic feel to them
In the end the characters stood out for me the best were Reinhard, Oberstein (for being essentially the amazing man with the plan), Reuntal, Kircheis and Rubinsky, I warmed up to Julian, Yang and Schenkop. When important deaths occurred, they felt highly dramatic, in four cases emotionally effecting for me .
Also, KTtravlos, thank you for pushing me toward watching the original legend of the galactic heroes, my opinion on the series is largely a mixed one, but by the end I felt I’d watched something rewarding and I’m happy its crossed off my list and I should have gotten round to it sooner.
I'm probably the oldest here, being 32. Which apparently makes me around Yang-wenli's age, which according to someone means I'm middle aged .
To the discord guy who brought it up, its difficult not for me to be political, my father was an activist and is a Marxist , I ended up becoming a contradiction a semi-agnostic, but spiritually inclined/tolerant socialist with internationalist ideology.
@Aidan: Ends in very cliffhanger/abrupt indy way though and the things weakness/how to kill thems too easy.
@Aidan: I liked how it explains nothing also and the creature design and how it visual communicates to the audience.
@Aidan: While I won't say anything, a character death is handled in what I considered a schmaltzy manner. There is a particularly headscratching decision the characters make that you'll either rationalize or hate, but it leads to one of the tenser set pieces later on.
@Aidan: Quiet place has a good idea at its backbone, that they use sign language in the film to communicate and occassional whispers adds to it, it and the silence allows for a mood to be effectively communicated. It does have jump scares, I wasn't annoyed by them, but I never felt the film required them.
@Aidan: I read the discord, if you ever need to ask a question relating to film, come to me about it, I will without fail be able to answer 9 times out of 10.
I was adequately amused by the first episode of wotaku, but found the male lead funnier, which I'm attributing to him be more deadpan.
We found a convient weekend for everyone
*watching
I would also float the idea of recommendation podcasts every now and then.
I will listen to the podcast more in full later. But I was surprised after asking/suggesting it on the discord, that it came so soon.
I am thinking of re-watching gasaraki and ai yori aoshi.
@Niello: Perhaps after a while of watch the anime I will simply jump on to the manga.
I watched Resident Evil: Vendetta yesterday. It's incredible dumb but kind of fun. I do wonder if in terms of entertainment are like the best videogame based movies. Since it plays like a videogame, it's based on a videogame and is more or less in line with the tone the series has had for a while.
niello
It's such a shame that Golden Kamuy art direction is such a train wreck.
and for the sake of Clausewitz there is clinical term for what Reinhard did. It is called "defeat in detail". Napoleon was a master of it. Proper way to defeat it , is to order the threatened force to retreat to a point where other allied forces are converging. The enemy will either have to retreat, or fight at a disadvantage. The 1813 and 1814 campaigns against Napoleon are examples of that.
Episode 2 of LOGGH: Der Neue Thesis was much better than the first. The music is still an issue, but Yang was well portrayed. I do think there is lack of the directors in showing the cruelty of war, like the first one did. We will see.
@Mario: Still need to see his short films and black Peter.
@Anon: I already know the manga and enjoy it, think the anime is a good adaption so far. Feels good to see a series about video games that are actually just games and romance without tsunderes, tons of blushing or unworldly naive harem girls.
Anonymous2016456
the anime
Anonymous2016456
how do you guys think of wotakoi?
@Kaiser: Hereditary sounds pretty promising here
Forman's an interesting case, when you look at the huge disconnect from his early films from the 60s and then what he went on to make.
Ah, unfortunately I am not a fan of country music so Nashville didn't appeal to me =<
@Mario: And before Jack kept playing the same role over and over.
@Mario: Aside from Courtney Love's presence, Larry Flynt is an excellent film. I love the custom camera tricks Kubrick used in Lyndon , dog day afternoon suceeded for me because it did so much more than being just a bank rob film. I wish Spielberg would return to his pre-90s films .
Cuckoo's Nest reminds me of the great 1975 Oscar Best Picture, which for me was Oscar's greatest line-up. The line-ups for that year were: Cuckoo Nest (winner), Nashville, Barry Landon, Dog Day Afternoon and Jaws
@Kaiser: RIP the man. I've seen 2 of his, Amadeus and Cuckoo Nest. Both great but they were more because of the strength of the source
@Mario: Milos forman has died =<
Indeed the character designs in steins; gate have seen changes....shockingly mayuri's chest is larger than Daru's ;)
I can live with that. Interested to see what made you reserved.
@KTravlos: you won't agree with my series review then. I have a lot of reservations on VE
Also I finished Violet Evergarden. This was an exceptional series in my book.
the two characters. Finally the battle soundtrack was simply wrong.

I am going to watch it because it is LOGH. And frankly after watching the new one I felt the fact that the old one was dated technical wise (but not in music). But at least on comparison of first episodes, the old one did a better job at giving depth to Reinhard and Keircheis.
well I watched the first episode of the new LOGH and then watched the first episode of the older version. The update in the art is good..but. If the old one was too talky, this one is too boom boom. I also felt that they did not sue the time well to establish Reihard and Kircheis well. Especially the removal of some lines that were in the first episode of the original, really took away a lot from
@Amagi: I can see your point but what a premise for Golden Kamuy.
Although golden kamuy is labeled seinen, which gives me some more hope for it.
@Amagi: agree with you about remembering stuffs you've watched. For me, it's always until the second watch that I can remember the plot or characters clearly. Otherwise, all will get hazy like a dream
Anonymous2011116
@Anon Watch a few eps and then male an informed decision based on that; I find the storytelling to be a bit weak but you might not feel the same
@Anon, If you can ignore the rather odd fanservice and sex symbolism it's actually a pretty enjoyable show with good animation whose story has been getting better.
Think it's always the best to watch the first episode since other people might hate something you will love or vice versa.
@Anon: For me it still feels like Kiznaiver but I think it really depends on how much you care about the characters and teen relationship deama.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These – 2/3[The Battle of Astarte/An Indomitable Prodigy]

If I was to judge this adaption based solely on the first three episodes I would declare it a resounding success. For while I do really like the old series, it does have a rather slow start. I say i only truly got invested in it around episode 3 or 4 when the more political […]

Golden Kamuy – 02 [Nopperabo]

Leave it to Japanese cartoon that done the Western genre better than the Westerners, at least from what we have seen so far (note: despite my pun, Western the genre doesn’t refer to the Western culture, but to the American Old West). Granted, Japanese cinema and literature has a strong tradition of samurai genre, which […]

Hinamatsuri – 02 [This Is How You Have a ESP Battle!]

Welcome to THE comedy gold of the season. Before I get into anything specific, let’s me discuss about what make this little show about a psychic girl and a yakuza hilarious in the first place. The main source of humor in Hinamatsuri largely comes from situation-based weirdness. Putting these characters out of their comfort zones […]

Darling in the Franxx – 14[Punishment and Confession]

Last time Darling and the Franxx had it’s best episode yet which raised my opinion of the series and gave me hopes for greater things moving forward. So it’s sad that they follow this up with the worst episode of the series to date. This episode was pure frustration to watch because you knew exactly […]

Megalo Box – 2 [The Man Only Dies Once]

Welcome to the Spring 2018 anime season! I am proud to present to you the Ashita no Joe 50th Anniversary project, Megalo Box. Easily the most stylish anime of the season. Lets jump in! With just 2 episodes, Megalo Box has become my favorite for the season. Everything about it feels like it comes from […]

Darling in the Franxx – 13[The Beast and the Prince]

That was the best episode of Darling in the Franxx to date. Truly I am impressed with this though it may be perhaps because the fanservice aspects of the show were not present at all during this episode. Todays episode was spent entirely on the past of Hiro and Zero Two. When this episode is […]

Fate/Extra Last Encore – 08-10[No Second Strike ― Dead End ― /Golden Theater of the Deranged ― Aestus Domus Aurea ― /Unlimited――― ― Unlimited/ Raise・Dead ―]

It hard to have an opinion on the last three episodes of Fate/Extra when the content has been quite similar to the previous episodes of the cour. For now the series has ended with the remaining episodes coming as a special later. Still unknown if that was the actual special broadcast that was originally considered […]

Darling in the Franxx – 10-12[The City of Eternity/Partner Shuffle/The Garden Where It All Began]

Three episode coverage this week as many things got in the way of my casual blogging, the much late preview being one of them. I must say that the last few episodes of Franxx have been quite strong as we have had a string of character development episodes which have really fleshed out the cast. […]

“I wallow in anime mediocrity”

For me a mediocre show is one that I can watch and enjoy, but which does not really break new ground in elements of animation, story, or cinematography, or does not “move” me. It does not if you will touch the “higher” emotions and faculties of who I am, but does leave me satisfied at […]

Kokkoku – 42.5/100

There are lots of bad anime out there, for one reason or another. Whether it be stilted animation, terrible writing or bad direction, a good portion of each season is simply not worth it. Kokkoku is not a bad anime. It is something much worse. Kokkoku is a mediocre anime. Bad ones get talked about, […]

Junji Ito Collection Anime Review – 40/100

In the realm of manga there is a man whose name is inescapable when the genre of horror is brought up. That man is Junji Ito and his work is considered legendary for its artistic detail, mastery of manga paneling and it’s outlandish imaginative concepts. Up till now his work has yet to have an […]

Yuru Camp (Winter 2018) Review – 74/100

I admit that I underestimated Yuru Camp back in its first few episodes. I took it as a standard, run-on-the-mill slice of life show and I fully expected to give it 3 episodes at max before throwing it into the deep sea of forgotten anime. But as time pass, I can certainly see many good […]

Neo Yokio – 96/100

This may be half a year overdue but I simply can’t accept that none of the writing staff of Star Crossed Anime have cover the the biggest development in anime where Netflix took a hand in producing anime in the form of Neo Yokio. Taking place in the metropolis of Neo Yokio, a mashup between […]

Devilman Crybaby – 83/100

It’s an exciting time to be an anime fan where new business models and players are making big waves within the animation industry. After debuting with the original and excellently-produced Neo Yokio, the juggernaut streaming service of Netflix has decided to revive the classic series of Devilman and gives it the full adaption treatment. By […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 69/100

Fantasy is a rather prolific genre in anime, with a vast majority of Isekai and Shounen fitting snugly into it. Most take place in their own unique setting, either Amestris of Full Metal Alchemist or the made of world of the latest Isekai trash. Few however try to set themselves in our world. To peel […]

Mary and the Witch’s Flower – 73/100 (Joint Review)

Wooper: Mary and the Witch’s Flower is the first feature film from Studio Ponoc, which spun off from Studio Ghibli in early 2015. Given Ghibli’s towering reputation, the bar was high for this inaugural flick, which recently made its way to U.S. theaters, giving Lenlo and I a chance to see it on the big […]

In This Corner of the World (2016) Movie Review – 90/100

In this Corner of the World (for the purpose of this review, I’ll refer it as “Corner”), is the truest slice of life drama if you ever encounter one, in that it’s a slice into an ordinary life of an ordinary girl during the War period. That speaks into the very first strength of Corner, […]

Houseki no Kuni (Fall 2017) Review – 92/100

Make no mistake, Houseki no Kuni is the most ambitious anime project of the year. Not only because it’s an entirely CG project (and make a damn good use of it, mind you), or because of its narrative scope that at once strange, grand and beauty, but also in its very conception in their production […]