Posted by psgels on 4 September 2009 with categories: Tokyo Magnitude 8.0

Oh my god. I’m just… at a loss for words after this episode. This episode was just beyond sad. I’ve been a huge fan of Noitamina for years now, and I have watched every single of its shows aside from Honey and Clover. But damn, this series has a good chance to be the best thing that Noitamina ever brought forth…

Now that we’ve finally arrived at the last part of the story, it’s time for all of the build-up to pay off. IE: it’s time for this series to get back to the amazing quality of the first five episodes. Mari gets home this time, and starts looking for her mother and daughter. At first sight, they appear dead, but eventually they turn out to have survived in one of the most heart-wrenching reunions. Usually when anime try to play around with “is he dead or not”, this feels rather cheap, but within the context of this series it becomes downright scary. With so many people dead, and at the same time so many survivors left not knowing what happened. There’s no way of telling who might have survived or not. Heck, are we even sure that Mirai’s parents survived?

Speaking of which: OMG at the cliff-hanger at the end. Mirai and Yuuki have actually decided to travel to their homes ALONE!? Taken into account what happened to Yuuki in the previous episode… how the heck are the creators going to end this?! Probably the most evil thing of this episode was that even though Yuuki is most likely SPOILER just about everything kept Red Herringing around him.

I now see why I was so disappointed with episode 6 and 7: with such an amazing start, I expected the rest of the series to be also this consistent in quality, while in fact they were meant as a calm before the storm: they were meant to build up, and take it easy a bit for the finale. I’ve indeed been incredibly stupid thinking that this series was going to jump the shark in its second half. This episode was utterly amazing, and the final two episodes… wow… just wow.
Rating: **** (Fantastic)

1. Perrin4869 says:

This one has a really strong potential to become my favorite of 2009. I’m highly anticipating the final 2 episodes!

2. tealovertoma says:

They handled Mari’s reunion really really well. I didn’t know you handed out 4 stars, but I agree with it :P

3. AnonBAWWW says:

The part where Mari says “Yuuki and you?” confirms he’s DIE-joubu.

Mirai even has a flashback of the ‘dreams’ then Yuuki looks all sad, like the web of denial is breaking up.
    She has to cut him off from saying ‘Onee-chan, you know…’ but he says it again at the very end.

FUCK YEAH BONES, BEST SHOW THIS SEASON!

4. Chris K says:

Yes, this was a great episode that included a ton of emotional impact but I now really fear for Mirai.

I had thought that Mirai’s delusion would have resolved itself during this episode, she knows in her mind that Yuuki’s dead, so it really troubles me that the delusion is continuing. I really hope that Mari can catch up with her and snap her out of it before she has to come to terms with what she’s finds at her house, good, or bad.

I had jokingly commented on another site that Mirai and Mari would end up together because everyone else will have died, but now I’m getting a bad feeling that Mirai just might end up being a orphan; tears roll down my cheek at that thought.

5. Patrick says:

I still think that the kid’s death is a quite bit cheap (now I’m ok, now I’m dead), but someone had to die for the show to have a decent ending (the kid, mari’s family or mirai’s family).

6. Theowne says:

Meh, I can’t share the enthusiasm for this one, psgels. For a show that started off being a relatively down-to-earth portrayal of believable earthquake victims finding their way home to suddenly become about a healthy girl who has gone insane talking with the dead ghost of her brother….with very little transition, mind you. I dunno. Something’s off.

7. Anon says:

Couldn’t be more obvious tbh… Mari running down the escalator w/ the back pack, while Yuuki has it on his back in the truck.

8. AnonBAWWW says:

@6

Real trauma and shock is sudden like that.
    There was little foreshadowing, except when he trolled in EP4 and I rather like it,
    I’m bored of silly build up that’s so obvious it loses it’s effect clichés.

9. riddle says:

this show is awesome beyond awesome unlike this was the first time some stupid anime actually touches me and make me tear up

10. reverse says:

Fantastic ? not quite Is was a good solid episode.

to see mari react like that just doesn’t seamed “real”. let me put it into perspective you have a girl that just lose his brother and you just lost your daughter, yes you should to be sad. however you should not ignore that girl feeling. she suffer as much as you do. to see Mirai running “alone” searching for your daughter is something that should not happen. mari should keep a close eye and distance to mirai, no matter how well she might look she still a kid, and you an adult

well this not true if yuuki is alive. but it just not seemed so.

anyway I a bit annoy by those cg background character. the cg character basically being reuse all the time, and to make thing worse they don’t even bother change the color.

11. Frost says:

Interesting episode… I thought they would start off by make it clear that yuuki is indeed dead, since after the huge discussion everyone already knows it, but its like nothing happened

So Im guessing yuuki will still be here until the last episode, and theres a high chance the cliff hanger of ep 10 is mirai finally realizing hes dead

Lets see, this show tends to be not so predictable, so it might surprise us

12. psgels psgels says:

Reverse: actually, I think that different people in those situations act entirely different. When I’m in such a situation, I become hyperactive and start doing things that don’t make a lot of sense, so I can somewhat understand how Mari lost track of Mirai in this episode. Apparently, you are more level-headed in those sorts of situations. It’s a good trait, but not everyone’s like this.

13. reverse says:

yes that the reason I quote the real word. yes people act differently
    but based on mari personality she should not do that. she had multiple chance to go home early. she decided not to.
    if she do not possesses those trait, she already abandon yuuki and Mirai from the moment she got the chance

14. Elrondp says:

You just said everything I had on my mind. They went down at half -I hated those extra characters- but the cliffhanger has paid off. I’ll hope the end is so tocuhing I’d cry.

15. madmind says:

To me, this episode besides the closure of Mari’s story also marks the end of Mirai’s arc if you can call it that way. At the beginning of this series, Mirai simply was a spoiled brat who blamed the world for everything. But now? Though with a little push by Yuuki she unselfishly helped Mari and searched for her family, although everything seemed to be so desperate. She not only changed 180 degrees but even fulfilled her own statement in episode 5 that she can do something now. Perhaps you could even say that she symbolically defeated death, after death got Yuuki. She has done something and truly helped someone else by reuniting a family.

Since both arcs are finished I expect that the next episode will fully deal with Yuuki’s death, perhaps Mirai’ character arc will even “overstretch” so that her statement “The world should simply break” from episode 1 will transform to “I should simply break” because she might blame herself for his death (if the documents from last episode were a hint of his cause of death (Tokyo Tower incidence, anyone?)). Perhaps the next episode will even end with a suicide attempt of Mirai.

16. Julian says:

Mmmmm, I quite think that the series finale won’t really involved anyone else dying but rather Mirai’s mental condition—.

17. AlexS says:

I’m really happy that in this episode the denial already started to break down. It would have been a let down it it had worked as well as in the previous episode.

Mirai is trying very hard to bring Yuuki, or the memory of Yuuki home, so I don’t see her giving up on him before that, unless she snaps.

Mari’s family reunion was also a rehearsal of what’s to come, which is good because they will have to play it differently. I’m curious as to what they have in store.

Two episodes is not much for the storm that is coming, but I hope that they leave enough screen time for an aftermath. I would like to know how Mirai evolves after this tragedy, what kind of relation Mari and Mirai could have in the future, if any.

18. Solaris says:

I rewatched last episode two times because something didn’t look quite right there. And now this episode confirms it. Nobody speaks to Yuuki except his sister. No way. Is it real? Did the little brat really die? But it makes sense so much. “oneechan you know?” oh god!

19. Nick says:

Sixth Sense all over again.

20. m says:

There’s a scene where Mirai has to ask Yuuki’s question to Mari. They also play the game of having Mari look back at Mirai without showing Yuuki in the shot, even though he’s always standing next to or behind her. They’re really playing with the audience. Meanies.

In a way I liked Mari’s response. If we assume that Mari has long suspected that her family didn’t survive, then the way that she accepts each narrative of their demise, and how this forces Mirai to progress the story, makes a certain amount of sense. Everything confirms the doubt she carried and extinguishes the little bits of hope that have kept her going. It also provides an opportunity for Mirai to adopt some of Yuuki’s optimistic determination, since it is by proxy of her delusion of him that she looks for Mari’s family. It might even illuminate a little of the reckless way that Mari treats her own life, as she rescue Mirai from herself repeatedly in the second episode. The one problem I have is that Mari’s reluctance to inspect the bodies basically motivates the longer adventure of searching the cluster bomb of elementary schools in the area, and I don’t know how to reconcile it with my model. If she had really accepted the doom of her family, would she have been so reluctant to see her daughter’s face? Is it out of guilt? Is it the last bit of denial? Is she worried to remember her daughter as burn victim? The way that Mirai’s return with her daughter comes as a surprise to a Mari we see sitting outside, we can assume that Mari never actually identified the bodies of her family before leaving. It doesn’t look like the behavior of someone that has been completely defeated, which would be more passive and involve going through the motions, but rather the actions of someone still fighting the inevitable. Wouldn’t that Mari have looked for an escape at rubble instead of accepting their demise? Hmm, I don’t know.

21. Theowne says:

@8
    “Real trauma and shock is sudden like that.”

Well, no, it isn’t. In real life people don’t start seeing extended multisensory hallucinations of people unless they are, well, insane or have a history of mental issues. Grief, particularly sibling grief, has a variety of effects but hanging out with the ghost of the deceased is not one of them.

Another thing I didn’t like about this episode is how they pulled the “look they’re dead, oh wait they’re alive” AGAIN. It gets tiresome and feels cliched.

I don’t mind this kind of storytelling all that much, it’s just the first few episodes were going down the path of a believable story of people finding their way back home after an earthquake, and now it has descended into B-movie territory with talking hallucinations and bait-and-switch deaths.

22. Ritz says:

To reverse: Wth, Mari thought she had lost her entire family, even if she was the most mature person in the world your feelings and mind would be fucked up, Mirai obviously understood that.

I love this show, I don’t think it’s extremely out of place that Mirai is seeing hallucinations…I mean it’s not like she is seeing his ghost, she is projecting Yuuki from her mind. I dunno, I don’t find it hard to believe. The trauma was big.

23. cyril says:

I understand that it’s an adult anime etc, but I don’t think they can seriously really “kill” Yuuki. What – with the history of lucky escapes so far. I predict that Yuuki slipped into coma and they left him at the hospital and when Mari and Mirai find the parents and get back to the hospital, Yuuki wakes up. Happy end.
    I, personally, wouldn’t mind it.

24. Judy says:

Fantastic ? not quite Is was a good solid episode.

E©agree with you,E reverse.
    We do not need Sixth Sense in this show.

25. cyril says:

Come to think of it: piggybank in the bag == urn?
    ;_;

26. Larien says:

I agree that Mari’s reaction to the “death” of her family was correct for most – I am extremely close with my mother, and if I were to find out she’d died, no child in my care would matter to me anymore and I would lose sight of everything around me and be in complete despair.

I think Mirai is slowly beginning to realize that her brother is gone – remember that the way Yuuki is manifested to Mirai is entirely her creation, her subconscious is inventing every word he says and every action he makes. At the end of this episode, Yuuki needs to tell her something – I’m guessing it’s something along the lines of, “I’m gone, let me go” and so it’s really her mind telling her (after being briefly reminded of his hospital ordeal when seeing Mari’s family in the hospital) to begin accepting it.

Earlier in the series Mirai was quite negative in some respects, kind of a Debbie Downer about things – earlier she would have accepted Hina’s death and not gone looking for her. I imagine her saying something like, “She’s dead, she’s right here in front of us…” But this time, her made up Yuuki which is in fact her own subconscious is pushing her to NOT accept it, and search anyway. Through “Yuuki,” she’s gained optimism.

So it’s my belief that Yuuki is less of a hallucination and more of a subconscious thought process, which can’t be physically portrayed in any way, as it’s someone’s mind and thoughts, so it takes form as her visualizing Yuuki. And Mirai is most likely feeling a sense of guilt, this was the little brother who annoyed her, and now he’s gone – this is her chance to be a better sister. She can’t face that she never really acknowledged her true love for him.

27. Larien says:

OH And I forgot to add this:

At the end of the episode, the anchorwoman incorrectly refers to Crash Syndrome, which is in fact called “Crush Syndrome” – the cause of Yuuki’s death. Remember when he was trapped under the rubble in the mall? He sustained serious internal injury from the crushing pressure, and is usually fatal is treatment is not immediately given.

It’s common in earthquakes.

28. Echo says:

Ah thanks for that clarification, Larien – I looked up “crash syndrome” (thinking it was Mirai’s disease) and only got some obscure descriptions.

2 things about this ep:
    When they came upon the supposed bodies of Mari’s mom and daughter, I resolved that they weren’t dead unless Mari actually confirmed their faces. Especially with the mind games of the previous episode, how can you just assume they’re the right people? So that supposed death scene didn’t really affect me, rather bothered me that Mari didn’t feel like actually checking them and just accepted them as her family.

Looking back at the last 2 episodes assuming Yuki is gone, it annoys me that Mari doesn’t have a stronger reaction to Mirai treating her brother as if he were alive. I believe she figures it out in ep 8, even tears up about it in front of Mirai….and they’re always walking together; can she not hear Mirai conversing with herself? Just how long was she going to let Mirai live in denial?

I honestly was expecting the truth to be revealed when Mari and her daughter were reunited with grandma and Mirai is introduced to them – alone. But no, she wanders off again, and only now does Mari seem distressed that Mirai is out and about thinking that her brother is still with her.

29. Pearlholy says:

Larien, I believe it was the people who subbed the episode made a small mistake in the previews. After replaying the end several times, I believe the anchorwoman said ‘Crush Syndrome’. I could be wrong, however it was harder to differentiate ‘Crush’ and ‘Crash’.

On the side note, I do believe that recycling the ‘He’s dead OR NOT’ idea, is slightly cliche. However, the producers wrote it nicely. So, I cannot bring myself to criticize and complain about it. I was relieved to see that Mari’s family were okay. Everyone pretty much said what I have been contemplating about; I do believe Mirai’s behaviour/trauma is quite realistic. Perhaps the producers failed to make it less cliche for some the viewers to enjoy. But I cannot help but to sympathized with Mirai. For someone who disregarded and barely cared for her brother, I was sad that Yuuki died right after they began to get along.

On the side note, I feel like Mari is like an adult version of Mirai. I would not know how to word it out but yeah… >_>;;

30. dickens says:

Okay guys, I can understand that some people like this stylized storytelling but can you stop using the word realistic? I’m not going to call myself an expert, but I’ve been studying psychology for 3 years and what is portrayed in this anime is certainly not realistic. In cases of trauma and grief people do not suddenly see the walking talking ghosts of the deceased as if they are alive. That is pure movie tropes that don’t happen in real life. They have brief hallucinations, yes, but only people who are already unstable in the head have the kind of experiences Mirai is having.

31. Dian says:

I knew it!!! i just knew it from ep. 8 , but I’m in denial!! and the first time I watch ep. 9, the clue of yuuki died jumps here and there, I mean, yuuki doesn’t talk with mari-chan anymore, the backpack!! oh god, I hate it!! bring Yuuki backk!!

32. Divaa says:

Woah am I the only one who didn’t know he was dead?
    Wow, I usually catch on to that stuff.

33. Reiter says:

Mirai and Yuuki seriously have got to stop wandering off alone by themselves. Whatever happened to their promise of them telling each other where they were going before leaving? It seems like they do it every single episode! XD

Ok, I guess in this case Mirai, in her tragic state of denial, believes that everything will be all ok with sunshine and rainbows now that Mari has been reunited with her mother and daughter, and that frees Mirai and what she thinks is Yuuki to stop being a burden to Mari and to continue on their own way back home alone. I did like how Mirai, through Yuuki, was convinced not to give up and to keep looking for Mari’s family despite the odds. Yuuki’s ever present optimism, even after his death (or specifically, because of it) really did rub off on Mirai.

It’s just sad that it took the death of Yuuki for Mirai to finally start appreciating her little brother and his sunny, innocent way of looking at the world, rather than sulk and wallow in self pity and cynicism like most teenagers are wont to do, even in the face of disaster.

This isn’t the first time that an anime series killed off the sweet, innocent young brother character (for drama’s sake or whatever the case may be). Blood+ did something similar. Yes, Mirai hallucinating her brother to be alive and being in complete denial about his death is very TV/movie-tropish and not very realistic at all, but it’s all about building drama, I guess, particularly in the case where the last two episodes are going to focus on Mirai (and/or her parents) confronting the truth about the tragedy.

Still, I’m enjoying the show a lot, flaws and all. It does remind me a little bit of Grave of the Fireflies; completely different scenario and emotional tones, but comparisons can be made for how the characters react to tragedy and disaster. I’m hoping Mirai doesn’t end up an orphan by the end, though if that were the case, I could see Mari adopting her into her family as a result.

34. AnimaticallyInsane says:

Awesome episode! espcially the renuion between Mari and her daughter (and her mother)!

However, i hated the cliff hanger at the end of the episode. I was hoping that they would clear up yuki’s death in this episode but NO….they gave us another cliff hanger and we are still in denial….

For me i hope that Yuki is still alive but just in serious condition such that hes at the hospital still and actually not dead….but we will see in the next episode (hopefully….)

35. Pafiume says:

I really enjoyed this episode. The only thing that made it weird was Yuuki going, “Hey, maybe they’re alive!” I can understand optimism, but that’s like, “Hey, let’s take a shot in the dark.” And it was another one of those little hints that usually mean whatever it’s talking about is true. Which it was. I would have thought that when Mari lifted the towels off the unidentified bodies and realized they WEREN’T her family they would go searching again. The situation in the episode is much more enjoyable, though.

Personally, I don’t see how Yukki could still be alive. If he was alive, and just in critical condition as people are hoping, I don’t think Mirai would have delusions about him. Additionally, why would she and Mari leave him alone in a hospital? It’s still possible I guess, and I wouldn’t mind for him to be alive, but I don’t think so. I think that the last “dream sequence” from the episode he was in the hospital, where the doctor comes out and Mirai bursts into tears, was the real thing. And if I remember correctly his heart beat went out?

The part with the backpack was the most interesting to me. After Mari ran out with the backpack in hand, and you see the close up of Yukki, it looks like he still has the straps on his shoulders. I wonder if what snaps Mirai out of it is Mari chasing after them (and catching up eventually?) and showing the backpack!

dickens: I can totally agree that that isn’t realistic. The moment I saw that the Yuuki hallucination wasn’t just going away after they went off the soccer field in the hospital it went from realistic to a little over the top.

36. KamikazeSim says:

Mari’s reunion with her family made me cry. I have teared up in this series many times but tears finally came out of my eyes in this episode. Seeing Mari hug her daughter made me so happy with tears especially since Yuuki is dead.

“Three days since the earthquake….Repeated occurrences of Crush syndrome have been reported.” Like Larian said (#27), its common in earthquakes.

He HAS to be dead. This show has been too damn good with the minor hints spread out that it will be disappointing if we get a Deus Ex Machina ending with Yuuki being in a coma in the hospital.

Not trying to be depressing but the tease of his death has made this show better than anything this year. Thursday night cannot get here sooner!

37. FusionKilla says:

Actually there is a CRASH syndrome and it is inherited as an X-linked trait and so affects mainly boys

38. saku says:

what? you haven’t watched honey & clover??
    O_O

39. Solaris says:

@Saku, what’s so strange about it? I also skipped Honey and Clover ’cause I don’t like that stuff so much (romance movies)

40. meow says:

Regarding Mari’s hesitation to verify the identities of the two corpses, I think I can agree that this is realistic. The builds of those corpses looked similar to her mom and daughter, right down to the little girl’s hair ornaments – although they were a different color. I don’t think it’s that abnormal to hesitate to confirm a possible terrible truth – kind of like being terrified of checking the results of a medical test to see if you have some incurable fatal disease. How many of us would be prepared to look into the dead faces of a loved one? I also thought this scene and this line of story was an important illustration of difficulty identifying the dead in the midst of the major disaster. Earlier in the story, there was a minor scene where a relief worker admonished a father from taking the body of her daughter away before it was officially identified. Here, Mari was prepared to accept that her family was dead, even though in fact, they were alive somewhere else.

I thought also that having Mari pressed into duty as a nurse for her injured mother by the hospital was also a nice touch. It was both a realistic depiction of a real earthquake situation and a useful plot device to separate Mari and Mirai for dramatic effect to draw out how Mirai would settle her situation with Yuki. Although Yuki is dead, he remains a main character and I think final resolution of this won’t happen til up to the very last episode.

I agree with what people have said her about Mirai’s hallucination of Yuuki being the most unrealistic part of this story. (Actually, I’m wondering if Yuuki is meant to be Yuuki’s actual ghost rather than simply a hallucination. I agree that the situation doesn’t seem quite right for her to be seeing things – she’s exhausted and extremely stressed but not on any drugs and hasn’t had head injuries…?) However, I feel that this series is meant to be something like a semi-documentary to prepare people for events and issues that can happen during a real earthquake and unfortunately, one of the most difficult and unfortunately potentially unavoidable issues to deal with is the death of a precious and irreplaceable loved one. I’m curious to see how this show will handle this. There also remains the issue of whether Mirai’s parents survived.

41. Theowne says:

@Solaris
    Honey and Clover is more than a “romance” show, in fact that romance elements are the least important part of the show in my personal opinion.

42. Solaris says:

Thx theowne (and saku). I might give it a try, just to make sure i guessed rigth or wrong about the anime. But i have some more shows on my watch list by now, so Honey and Clover will have to wait.

43. Snowolf says:

SPOILER ALERT! (for people who don’t wanna know- please skip this comment. but you probably do know because half of these past comments show the spoiler without alerting it)

Guys, hallucination is perfectly normal for under stress, pressure, strain and shock. It’s what causes hallucinations, otherwise than a blow to your head, or if you’re stocked up on drugs.

Mirai’s delusions, as we all know by now fully well that her brother is dead, it is perfectly fine for her to have delusions. She’s only a child, and is not used to having such a trauma in her life. And the fact it came so unexpectedly also adds to reason of why’d she have a hallucination. (It’s a hallucination by the way, not a delusion).

I saw episode ten, and I won’t reveal anything, but if you thought this show could get any more depressing, you thought wrong. It got a hell lot more sad, and I couldn’t stop crying.

44. Snowolf says:

Even more reasons- she’s tired, hungry, lonely, mentally exhausted, and loves her brother. :D

*bring tissues for next episode*

45. Pearlholy says:

For someone who has been studying psychology for quite some time now, I think you have disregarded the fact that visual and auditory hallucinations are down-to-earth results of extreme trauma, stress, strain and fatigue like Snowolf has stated. It was sort of pretentious of you to claim that because I am currently studying/majoring in Psychology as well. It was offending to see your remarks. While I may not be opening my textbooks while analyzing the situation, I think what most people are trying to say when they mention realistic, they mean ‘down-to-earth’, including myself. Anyone can be unstable after losing someone dear to them and children, adolescents are more sensitive to tragic experiences and it takes very little to make the tip over. If Mirai manages to get over her hallucination, then she is not as ‘unstable’ as we think…

haha, Aidan: heartless grumpy monster & Mario: sentimental sappy bloke. Readers, you got yourself quite an odd combination of writers here.
Anonymous951955
We'll see; trailers can give false impressions
Anonymous951955
Not that all changes from source adaptations are terrible, but in this case, at least the trailer makes it look pretty bad.
Anonymous951955
It looks not great; I understand the need to change it a bit to suit the format/audience, but at what point does it turn from adaption to "loosely based on"?
HelghastKillzone
I'm glad we're past the phase of moe club shows.
@Helghast, now that's something I never thought I would hear.
HelghastKillzone
Hell ya. We are in a golden age of anime that is filled with options and quality.
What a great week! Iron Blooded Orphans, Onihei, Little Witch Academia and ACCA 13 all had great episodes! I am spoiled!
@Anon and @Aikan

The LoGH manga remake has been out. It did not work for me.

I hope he anime goes its own way. I do trust Production IG, so I hope. I think it might not be this year. No lgoic, just a hunch.
@Anon, Only info I can find is that it's coming out this year and it will be by Production IG. But I think you are right in that if it;s coming this year it will definitely be winter.
Feeling rather cautious about the remake myself. LoGH is dated visually but in a way it is a product of it's time and things you could forgive in the old version wouldn't be so forgivable in the new.
Does anybody know when that LoGH readaptation is coming? It's supposed to be this year right? Probably winter right?
But I will give it a full review anyways because all the amount of time I spent in that series should be paid off somehow, right?
But serious Gohands is a studio that had potential its just a shame its wasted on rubbish writers. Although I did like mardock scramble, because cyberpunk =)
If I met handshakers in public I'd refuse to shake its hand =D
Oh, it's actually just an extra Hand Shakers episode that serves as a prequel story. Not that bad then
Not to disregard Hand Shakers, but the best way to describe how I feel about that series is mind-numbing
They tried with that Military guy and his daughter but not by much.
But I do agree that there needs to be more to the characters, right now its JUST Tanya.
As for Tanya, having caught up with it, its a nice trashy guilty pleasure, especially due to the protagonist and I enjoy the setting because I'm a war film fan and like some of the action/politicking. I still do wish it was aesthetically a bit better. The dub isn't that bad and I'd welcome a second season.
In an ideal world Kino's journey would have been a good model for what light novel adaptations can be and SHOULD be.
If we must have more light novel adaptations, I would prefer them to be like Tanya, Muvluv, okay hardly breathtaking, but still better than that thing Aidan linked.
*Sigh* It looks exactly how I imagined it would and its terrible.
Please dont tell me thats an actual title.
In another world with my smart phone light novel to get an anime.

Oh my god...This literally sounds like a joke title you would see within an anime. Tried giving it an honest chance by reading it and it's just shit. Just pure terrible.
If people in Japan are actually buying blurays thinking its a good show then something is seriously wrong with the world.
@Topgavin, maybe too many people watched it because it was so terrible. I haven't watched past episode 1 but it doesn't sound like it improved.
Just incase you guys were avidly waiting for the announcement, Hand Shakers is getting a prequel season because it's apparently selling well......
Should be happy for it, though I'm a bit disappointed that I can't be able to cover it
Inside Mari gets live-action series adaptation. Why not anime?? Duh
Spike
Little Witch Academia finally tips it's hand on the overall plot! I'm pretty pleased and think some direction might help bump it up from just being 'good' overall.
HelghastKillzone
@KTravlos Still watching it week by week and I'll write up a review on the second season of Iron-Blooded when it ends.
@Mario: It is however the kind of anime film that would have the wide audience appeal though, as in anime for people who don't watch anime.
@Kaiser: just prove that people has paid attention to anime. That's an encouraging sign actually
Feck, silent voice was booked out when I got there just now....should have booked in advance, showing at 7:00 on Friday booking it now.
@KTravlos: I haven't, but that more because I'm not a big fan of Mecha genre. I believe one of our writer HelghastKillzone still follow the series
No idea, if you are all still watching MS Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans. I am, and while the 2nd Season toned down some of the elements that made the 1st Season good, it is still pretty good with the last episode doing a great job. If it keeps it, it definitely is head to head with Turn A Gundam for my favorite long-form Gundam Series (I am doing Gundam Origins for the original story)
Mhmm. It was one of those shows it weave adult themes into a kids show, so it had something for both. Now I can also appreciate the artstyle that doesnt use hard black outlines for everything.
If anything I get so much more out of Samurai Jack now than when I watched it as a kid.
Love that dude Aidan. And yes Kaiser, I think anyone get enjoy it now. I love that its back, but even without that its easily standing on its own
How much of this love of samurai jack is a nostalgia driven thing? I'm not knocking that nostalgia but would it be possible to get something out of the show now if I never watched it when I was younger?
Yeah, that conversation was great. Really shows you how messed up hes become. Its also amazing when you realize that was the last set of spoken dialogue in the episode. There was not a single word uttered in the second half.
The audience who enjoyed samurai Jack has grown up, them bringing up seppuku and blood is possibly a part of that.
Scene with the coffins was awesome as was the fight in the dark. My personal favorite part of the episode though was Jack arguing with his old design self. And young jack suggesting committing seppuku made my eyebrows raise. I mean..damn.
I agree Aidan. That quick shot of Jack vs the Daughter, with the sudden blood, suprised me as much as it did Jack. I really loved the scene with the coffins. The music nad sound was just great there.
@Lenlo, It was a really great episode. I love the meta of Jack being worn down by the wait and the wait the viewers had to endure for the new season. I is rather odd seeing blood in Samurai Jack though but it does make that particular moment have so much more impact.
April 16th for NZ. It is a lesser known movie than Kimi no na wa though, so I do wonder how available it's going to be in cinemas
This second episode of Jack was really just amazing. Its making full use of the new budget/tech for the art and of the new rating, along with the impact the timeskip would have on Jack. The cinematography was superb as well.
@Kaiser: Koe ko machi will creen in Aussie in the beginning of April as well. I'll go to watch it; but I would love to jear your thoughts on the movie.
There is a preview screening of koe to kachi on Monday night, depending I may go, I may review it or at least talk about it on here.
I'm dying waiting for the Blame! anime film adaptation to come out in May. I've wanted an adaptation for years.
And I'm too much of a cheap-ass to actually buy anything, don't even use legal streaming for films or anime/manga/comics, pirate almost everything.
Or shelves for that matter.
I've fallen out of the collectors thing pretty much entirely. I don't like to advertise any of my interests on my bedroom wall either.
Some years ago I ended up selling almost all of my anime dvds/vhs and manga, comic books aswell, took down my posters and moved what figures I had left into attic boxes , just no space for it and it was a good way to get some quick extra cash.
I love Rakugo as well, im not meaning to bad talk it at all. I simply also agree with Aiden that slow rolling us with Yakumo's death was poorly done and that its feeling stretched.
Nevermind, the $30 price tag made that decision for me
Weird how I see $8 movies on youtube as a ripoff yet a $90 series as a bargain. All these $300 box sets made me think it'd be in the hundreds. Wonder if I should get rebellion too
I'm still pretty much a fan of Rakugo this season. It goes much darker than the first season, something I didn't dare to think before consider this isYotaro's story. Would love to see more about rakugo's industry but this season does flesh out a lot of our core characters
I said it before but I'll bring it up again, the slow pace allows for, when big things happen to have a larger impact when they do.
*In
**and(not on) waiting for the series to finish
Season 1 showed a lot more, different periods and times, the development of Rakugo, the tragedy of Sukeroku & Miyokichi (or at least one version). In contrast, season 2 was basically about Sukeroku's legacy in the form of Yotaro and Konatsu and their kids, and Yakumo's relationship with death, changing from fatalistic to happiness over the course of the series.
I think it might be 13 episodes, the first season had 13.
To be honest, I understand your point: It's hard to actually describe what happened in season 2. I guess I became invested into Yakumo in season 1, and then warmed up to Yota and Konatsu in this season.
Yeah, I think they certainly could have compressed the front half of the season. There wasn't too much plot going on, but I enjoyed the characters and their interactions, so I didn't mind the deliberate pacing.
I still really like Rakugo, its really good, it just probably didnt need 12 episodes. That said, really lookin forward to the timeskip
@Mario: I've never actually seen any of Olivier Asayas' films come to think of it.
But going back to that dragging on, that did factor in almost making me hold off on waiting for the series to finish before going back. The anon's comment was what got me to watch this weeks episode right now rather than waiting till later.
Rakugo remains at this point still going in too long, but in fairness to the anon, yes the episodes conclusion was effective on emotional level and I bought into the dreamy atmosphere, largely due to the good cinematography the series uses.
Really? Im torn. Im glad they didnt bait and switch us again, but I always liked how grounded Rakugo was so im not sure how ok I am with the supernatural part and some of it felt like fanservice in regards to bringing characters back. The VA though is fantastic as always and I am definitely looking forward to this last timeskip. Cant wait to see the kids grown up.
Rakugo was otherworldly today. Not going to lie, was fighting tears back, but failed at the end.
@Topgavin: the bluray goes by region as well so you can only buy it in Australia/NZ region (region 4). For Madoka I still find it easiest to just go to JB Hi Fi and buy it. Sometimes I find it cheaper from JB Hi Fi than even their original distribution company.
@Topgavin, I ordered my Madoka bluray's from Amazon.co.uk.
Where do you guys buy your merch? Was looking into buying the Madoka blurays but can't find a reliable place to ship to NZ.
@Kaiser: nah, Personal Shopper isn't even a horror. It's just a failed arthouse that have little to say except grief.
...even now. For Raw, I would never expect the positive reactions from mainstream. I think the film really push the tolerance of the voewers, but it was a refrrshing watch.
@Kaiser: now you mentioned 2 films thay I really fond of. I come from Vietnam, so I could easily tell you that the settings are staged. The dialogue is pretty unnatural as well, but the movie grows a lot on me. I still love the striking visual and a long, slow mood the film evoke, and It speaks to one of the theme (women's identity in Vietnam society) that speaks well to me and still relevant...
@Mario: Is personal shopper really that mediocre a horror film?
@Mario: I also got back from seeing Raw a couple of hours ago, though the violence was enjoyable I was expecting it to be more so, it was also surprisingly funny at times.
@Mario: I did eventually see Scent of Green Papaya, while I did like that a plot actually did appear later on I was mostly content to find it a really pretty looking and generally relaxing film.
@Aidan: =< Sorry that anon post was me, was using the work computer and didn't log in.
@Anon, don't do that. Don't hint at future events and just let people see for themselves.
The glasses teacher in scum's wish will have an interesting moment to look out for in the coming episodes, I read on in the manga. Only one chapter left.
*ED instead of OD
@anon928813: usually they will release the music separately from the DVD/Blurays. I believed the OP had released last year, and according to their website the OD gonna release in 5th of April
Does anyone know the release date for Zaregoto's OST? Is it bundled with one of the BDs?
Y'know I'd like to see this Akane-sensei girl attempt to seduce me and just watch her fail at trying to do so.
My guess is that Miura will do another 6 or so chapter run then put it down for another while.
Im so happy Berserk Manga is starting up again, but im curious for how long. I remember sitting through that boat. I was there for all 7 years of it. Im like a hiatus vet now
Pretty much in agreement on titan where after what the first season covers I've pretty much been waiting for it to get back on track before I bother to get back to it.
I should be catching up and sangatsu and acca.
I never saw kekkai sensens first season so there's little chance of me watching the sequel.
Berserk and Natsume I'll just stick with the manga. I don't know about Bahamut, it took me a few episodes to get into before it became fun, but then the ending was disappointing, again maybe there's room for improvement in season 2.
I would hope that eccentric families second season would be able to live up to the potential of building on the first. However it's been a while since I've seen season one, might need to refresh myself.
For the Spring season, it is a season of sequels. From sequels alone, I'll follow Berserk, Eccentric Family, BBB, My Hero Academia, Attack on Titan, Natsume (is it the last season?), How to Raise a Boring girlfriend. I dropped Shingeki no Bahamut after 3 episodes, but might pick it up again before the new season begin.
Before that, Utena and Haruhi.
Gotta love the extend a passionate fan would go. The last time I felt passionate about something anime-wise was Monogatari as there was a period of several months that I watched nothing but that series, and rewatched and rewatched. It just clicked with me personally at that stage of my life.
At this point, ill watch/read anything with Berserk on it. I already own all of the original print runs of the Manga. If I had the money, I would buy everything else.
@Lenlo: I'll be on the same boat with you regarding Berserk. I know I CAN ENDURE it (finger crossed)
Man, your season preview reminded me I soon have to watch another season of CGI Berserk. Im not going to like it, but its a trial I must go through as a hardcore Berserk fan.
Im glad they didnt lose the funny robots in their pursuit of the Grimdark
That flute into Skatman-like singing was great
@Lenlo, I had the biggest smile when Jack destroyed the robots flute and he started singing with his mouth. Looking at clips of the show on youtube I don't think I appreciated just how funny this show was. Also digging Jacks PTSD and the daughters of Aku.
Dude has problems and I loved the singing robot
Have to say, enjoyed seeing Jack again.
Thanks Aidan! Cant wait to watch it tonight
Well I suppose it is moreso samurai Jack wasn't really a large part of my childhood.
Don't know how it is for security but I never really had trouble with it.
Love me some Samurai Jack though
It may just be Malwarebytes actin up. Ill look into it and if its a false flag check it out.
I never really had any opinion of samurai Jack when it was airing.
Oh I'm enthusiastic about Kino season 2, but I want to be cautiously optimistic just in case.
But has anyone read on in the Kino novels to confirm that a second season would have good material to work with, would it fall prey to the light novel curse that apparently many of then weaken by the third volume?
The only issue I've found with kiss is that, in firefox at least, sometimes it slows down my browser but only now and then. Never had any trouble with viruses or mal/spyware on it. Though it won't allow adblock =<
@Aidan: I was surprised at Kino's Journey news as well. Yay for having a new season!!
I have no problem with kiss whatsoever regarding virus. Hehe then try to catch it at Toonami
Yeeeah, sorry, my anti-virus isnt that big a fan of kiss.
You can watch it online at kisscartoon, of course at your own risk ^^
I really want to watch the new Samurai Jack season, but I cant catch it when it airs and dont know where to find it otherwise
Plan on getting the spring season Preview up today or Tommarrow. Things basically written up so it's just a matter of getting it to look right on the site.
Who here is watching the new season of Samurai Jack? That first episode hit me hard with nostalgia. It's like he never left.
Spice and Wolf season 3 may not be so impossible after all. Or hell even a Spice and wolf full remake, FMA Brotherhood style.
Holy crap, Kino's Journey is getting a new anime. Never thought that would happen. Sweet.
Art was great, sound was great, an argument could easily be made for 9/10. Its just cohesive story and efficient use of episodes means alot to me. I kinda had to actively remind my self to watch after ep 6 and then binged 10+.
8.5/10. I really liked the start, the middle kinda lagged plot wise for me which is always my most important metric, and the last 3-4 episodes were great.
@Lenlo: how would you rate it?
@Lenlo: it's the middle part that I completely fell in love with. Well, guess that everyone have different taste huh?
So finally finished Flip Flappers. Had it on my to do list since last season. It ended pretty well imo, but the middle lagged for me in places.
HXH does pull off drama well but one thing that annoys me is how it builds up these big confrontations just to have them fizzle out. An anticlimax may be unexpected but in some case it would be more satisfying to just have things play out predictably.
And it did it better than Naruto, which had 7 years to pull that off.
I think one of the reasons HxH pulled it off so well, is because the first like 100 episodes built up to it. It pulled off the slow transition of basic shounen to well developed drama sort of thing very well. It slow rolled us basically.
Since when did HxH become a feels trip show? ep135 just ruined me, and did it better than actual 'feels trip' shows because of how unexpected and masterfully executed it was. The Chimera ant arc may have been slow, but by itself it was very FMA:B reminiscent with the huge character cast, amazing execution and the conflict in antagonists and humans and their values/morals.
@KAiser: oh man, you remind me again that I need to watch Bela Tarr's films. I remember one of the blogger was frustrated at the Turin Horse for "showing the pot of boiled potato for 10 minutes". I was cackling hard with his comment.
@Mario: The realist genre in general really clicks with me, the neo-realist movement, can't get enough of it.
Selish giant, ratcatcher and fishtank, maybe even gummo might be other good example of social realist stuff.
Bela Tarr did two accessible films in his early career called Prefab people and family nest which had a social realist feel to them.
@Mario: I've seen Kathy come home, Daniel Blake, Kes and wind that shakes the barley, of those Kathy and Daniel were the most emotional rewarding but being Irish it was very easy to connect with wind that shakes the barley. But yes I agree (as would my father) that Loach loves to "announce everything" or turn everything into a speech.
I've heard good things about Lorna's Silence as well
so do you watch Ken Loach? admittedly I just watched his I, Daniel Blake and it was solid, but a bit too much "message" for my taste
@Mario: I'm fond of that kitchen sink/social realist type of drama in general.
Yes! I finally actually properly registered my name on here!
@Mario: I've seen Rosetta, L'enfant and le Promese, two days one night, very moving and affecting films. My eye is on Lorna's silence , but I haven't seen kid with the bike, so I'll give that a look.
@Kaiser: fair enough, although for me I never really care about the dub version. Always prefer the Japanese voices :)
They have such a simple, yet direct handheld film making styles, so simple that many accused them for being amateurish.
@Kaiser: I actually watched a handful of Dardenne's works so I can give you my recommendation. Rosetta for me is their best, L'Efant, The Kid with a Bike and 3 Days 2 Nights are all excellent; with their latest The Unknown Girl was a slightly letdown
KaiserEoghan
@Mario: Acca is quite slow and wordy, so I will wait for the English dub.
KaiserEoghan
@Mario: Might check out some more of the Dardenne’s works soon.

Little Witch Academia – 11[Blue Moon]

I don’t mind the lighthearted shenanigans of Little Witch Academia but in my opinion it’s episodes like this that will truly make the show memorable. After ten episodes of mere hints as to the state of magic and it’s history we get a truckload of answers. Why is magic being considered antiquated? Because magic is […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 24

When I started this season of Rakugo I was under the impression that this would be Konatsu’s and Yotaro’s story seeing as Yakumo’s had reached it’s end. However to my dismay it appeared that halfway through the season Yakumo has hijacked the series. I previously stated that the story of Rakugo has already ended with […]

Saga of Tanya the Evil – 10[Path to Victory]

What am I to say when the majority of the episode is detailing a military operation? I admit that content has become spare in this series as of late and the Tanya vs God battle has more or less been pushed to the sideline. Tanya had one moment here where it looked like her mission […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. – 11 [Furawau’s Flowers Smell of Malice]

Really ACCA? Only one episode left and you’re still in set-up stage, with the coup is lingering in the air, but never comes in real form. In fact, ACCA is a series about setting up. Its deliberate pacing can really test the viewer’s’ patience, and I totally understand if most of you have fallen out […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 22 [New School Term – Fighter]

We get to an end of 3-gatsu run but it feels more like a new beginning. Like what I feared last week the last episode doesn’t really have a conclusive ending, instead offers us the new semester of Rei and his childhood and his shogi, which in all fairness are the weaker parts of 3-gatsu. […]

Scum’s Wish – 10 [Fragile and Empty]

This week the main spotlight is heading back to our beloved Akane and two of her relationships preys, Mugi and Narumi. Although I really like the way the show addresses each of those tainted relationships until finally we’d get to the bare bone of Mugi and Hanabi’s core relationship, this episode for me is just […]

Little Witch Academia – 10[Bee Commotion]

I remember seeing a remark someone made that Little Witch Academia would lose half it’s fanbase when the realize that they don’t like Saturday morning cartoons all that much. While most likely said in jest, I find there is a certain degree of truth in that statement. I did enjoy this episode of Little Witch […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 23

The extended epilogue continues as Yakumo returns home after the theatre burns down. Some are signifying the burning down of the theatre as the death of Rakugo while others are speaking of it as a new beginning. After all Rakugo can be performed anywhere as long as someone is willing to listen. The members of […]

Saga of Tanya the Evil – 09[Preparations for Advance]

A calm before the storm episode as the war with the Republic draws close to its climax. It’s nice to see the episode start off with Tanya trying to rationalize her actions in the previous episode. What may not be apparent from the anime is that Viktoriya has a tendency of coming up with reasons […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100