Posted by psgels on 4 September 2009 with categories: Tokyo Magnitude 8.0

Oh my god. I’m just… at a loss for words after this episode. This episode was just beyond sad. I’ve been a huge fan of Noitamina for years now, and I have watched every single of its shows aside from Honey and Clover. But damn, this series has a good chance to be the best thing that Noitamina ever brought forth…

Now that we’ve finally arrived at the last part of the story, it’s time for all of the build-up to pay off. IE: it’s time for this series to get back to the amazing quality of the first five episodes. Mari gets home this time, and starts looking for her mother and daughter. At first sight, they appear dead, but eventually they turn out to have survived in one of the most heart-wrenching reunions. Usually when anime try to play around with “is he dead or not”, this feels rather cheap, but within the context of this series it becomes downright scary. With so many people dead, and at the same time so many survivors left not knowing what happened. There’s no way of telling who might have survived or not. Heck, are we even sure that Mirai’s parents survived?

Speaking of which: OMG at the cliff-hanger at the end. Mirai and Yuuki have actually decided to travel to their homes ALONE!? Taken into account what happened to Yuuki in the previous episode… how the heck are the creators going to end this?! Probably the most evil thing of this episode was that even though Yuuki is most likely SPOILER just about everything kept Red Herringing around him.

I now see why I was so disappointed with episode 6 and 7: with such an amazing start, I expected the rest of the series to be also this consistent in quality, while in fact they were meant as a calm before the storm: they were meant to build up, and take it easy a bit for the finale. I’ve indeed been incredibly stupid thinking that this series was going to jump the shark in its second half. This episode was utterly amazing, and the final two episodes… wow… just wow.
Rating: **** (Fantastic)

1. Perrin4869 says:

This one has a really strong potential to become my favorite of 2009. I’m highly anticipating the final 2 episodes!

2. tealovertoma says:

They handled Mari’s reunion really really well. I didn’t know you handed out 4 stars, but I agree with it :P

3. AnonBAWWW says:

The part where Mari says “Yuuki and you?” confirms he’s DIE-joubu.

Mirai even has a flashback of the ‘dreams’ then Yuuki looks all sad, like the web of denial is breaking up.
    She has to cut him off from saying ‘Onee-chan, you know…’ but he says it again at the very end.

FUCK YEAH BONES, BEST SHOW THIS SEASON!

4. Chris K says:

Yes, this was a great episode that included a ton of emotional impact but I now really fear for Mirai.

I had thought that Mirai’s delusion would have resolved itself during this episode, she knows in her mind that Yuuki’s dead, so it really troubles me that the delusion is continuing. I really hope that Mari can catch up with her and snap her out of it before she has to come to terms with what she’s finds at her house, good, or bad.

I had jokingly commented on another site that Mirai and Mari would end up together because everyone else will have died, but now I’m getting a bad feeling that Mirai just might end up being a orphan; tears roll down my cheek at that thought.

5. Patrick says:

I still think that the kid’s death is a quite bit cheap (now I’m ok, now I’m dead), but someone had to die for the show to have a decent ending (the kid, mari’s family or mirai’s family).

6. Theowne says:

Meh, I can’t share the enthusiasm for this one, psgels. For a show that started off being a relatively down-to-earth portrayal of believable earthquake victims finding their way home to suddenly become about a healthy girl who has gone insane talking with the dead ghost of her brother….with very little transition, mind you. I dunno. Something’s off.

7. Anon says:

Couldn’t be more obvious tbh… Mari running down the escalator w/ the back pack, while Yuuki has it on his back in the truck.

8. AnonBAWWW says:

@6

Real trauma and shock is sudden like that.
    There was little foreshadowing, except when he trolled in EP4 and I rather like it,
    I’m bored of silly build up that’s so obvious it loses it’s effect clichés.

9. riddle says:

this show is awesome beyond awesome unlike this was the first time some stupid anime actually touches me and make me tear up

10. reverse says:

Fantastic ? not quite Is was a good solid episode.

to see mari react like that just doesn’t seamed “real”. let me put it into perspective you have a girl that just lose his brother and you just lost your daughter, yes you should to be sad. however you should not ignore that girl feeling. she suffer as much as you do. to see Mirai running “alone” searching for your daughter is something that should not happen. mari should keep a close eye and distance to mirai, no matter how well she might look she still a kid, and you an adult

well this not true if yuuki is alive. but it just not seemed so.

anyway I a bit annoy by those cg background character. the cg character basically being reuse all the time, and to make thing worse they don’t even bother change the color.

11. Frost says:

Interesting episode… I thought they would start off by make it clear that yuuki is indeed dead, since after the huge discussion everyone already knows it, but its like nothing happened

So Im guessing yuuki will still be here until the last episode, and theres a high chance the cliff hanger of ep 10 is mirai finally realizing hes dead

Lets see, this show tends to be not so predictable, so it might surprise us

12. psgels psgels says:

Reverse: actually, I think that different people in those situations act entirely different. When I’m in such a situation, I become hyperactive and start doing things that don’t make a lot of sense, so I can somewhat understand how Mari lost track of Mirai in this episode. Apparently, you are more level-headed in those sorts of situations. It’s a good trait, but not everyone’s like this.

13. reverse says:

yes that the reason I quote the real word. yes people act differently
    but based on mari personality she should not do that. she had multiple chance to go home early. she decided not to.
    if she do not possesses those trait, she already abandon yuuki and Mirai from the moment she got the chance

14. Elrondp says:

You just said everything I had on my mind. They went down at half -I hated those extra characters- but the cliffhanger has paid off. I’ll hope the end is so tocuhing I’d cry.

15. madmind says:

To me, this episode besides the closure of Mari’s story also marks the end of Mirai’s arc if you can call it that way. At the beginning of this series, Mirai simply was a spoiled brat who blamed the world for everything. But now? Though with a little push by Yuuki she unselfishly helped Mari and searched for her family, although everything seemed to be so desperate. She not only changed 180 degrees but even fulfilled her own statement in episode 5 that she can do something now. Perhaps you could even say that she symbolically defeated death, after death got Yuuki. She has done something and truly helped someone else by reuniting a family.

Since both arcs are finished I expect that the next episode will fully deal with Yuuki’s death, perhaps Mirai’ character arc will even “overstretch” so that her statement “The world should simply break” from episode 1 will transform to “I should simply break” because she might blame herself for his death (if the documents from last episode were a hint of his cause of death (Tokyo Tower incidence, anyone?)). Perhaps the next episode will even end with a suicide attempt of Mirai.

16. Julian says:

Mmmmm, I quite think that the series finale won’t really involved anyone else dying but rather Mirai’s mental condition—.

17. AlexS says:

I’m really happy that in this episode the denial already started to break down. It would have been a let down it it had worked as well as in the previous episode.

Mirai is trying very hard to bring Yuuki, or the memory of Yuuki home, so I don’t see her giving up on him before that, unless she snaps.

Mari’s family reunion was also a rehearsal of what’s to come, which is good because they will have to play it differently. I’m curious as to what they have in store.

Two episodes is not much for the storm that is coming, but I hope that they leave enough screen time for an aftermath. I would like to know how Mirai evolves after this tragedy, what kind of relation Mari and Mirai could have in the future, if any.

18. Solaris says:

I rewatched last episode two times because something didn’t look quite right there. And now this episode confirms it. Nobody speaks to Yuuki except his sister. No way. Is it real? Did the little brat really die? But it makes sense so much. “oneechan you know?” oh god!

19. Nick says:

Sixth Sense all over again.

20. m says:

There’s a scene where Mirai has to ask Yuuki’s question to Mari. They also play the game of having Mari look back at Mirai without showing Yuuki in the shot, even though he’s always standing next to or behind her. They’re really playing with the audience. Meanies.

In a way I liked Mari’s response. If we assume that Mari has long suspected that her family didn’t survive, then the way that she accepts each narrative of their demise, and how this forces Mirai to progress the story, makes a certain amount of sense. Everything confirms the doubt she carried and extinguishes the little bits of hope that have kept her going. It also provides an opportunity for Mirai to adopt some of Yuuki’s optimistic determination, since it is by proxy of her delusion of him that she looks for Mari’s family. It might even illuminate a little of the reckless way that Mari treats her own life, as she rescue Mirai from herself repeatedly in the second episode. The one problem I have is that Mari’s reluctance to inspect the bodies basically motivates the longer adventure of searching the cluster bomb of elementary schools in the area, and I don’t know how to reconcile it with my model. If she had really accepted the doom of her family, would she have been so reluctant to see her daughter’s face? Is it out of guilt? Is it the last bit of denial? Is she worried to remember her daughter as burn victim? The way that Mirai’s return with her daughter comes as a surprise to a Mari we see sitting outside, we can assume that Mari never actually identified the bodies of her family before leaving. It doesn’t look like the behavior of someone that has been completely defeated, which would be more passive and involve going through the motions, but rather the actions of someone still fighting the inevitable. Wouldn’t that Mari have looked for an escape at rubble instead of accepting their demise? Hmm, I don’t know.

21. Theowne says:

@8
    “Real trauma and shock is sudden like that.”

Well, no, it isn’t. In real life people don’t start seeing extended multisensory hallucinations of people unless they are, well, insane or have a history of mental issues. Grief, particularly sibling grief, has a variety of effects but hanging out with the ghost of the deceased is not one of them.

Another thing I didn’t like about this episode is how they pulled the “look they’re dead, oh wait they’re alive” AGAIN. It gets tiresome and feels cliched.

I don’t mind this kind of storytelling all that much, it’s just the first few episodes were going down the path of a believable story of people finding their way back home after an earthquake, and now it has descended into B-movie territory with talking hallucinations and bait-and-switch deaths.

22. Ritz says:

To reverse: Wth, Mari thought she had lost her entire family, even if she was the most mature person in the world your feelings and mind would be fucked up, Mirai obviously understood that.

I love this show, I don’t think it’s extremely out of place that Mirai is seeing hallucinations…I mean it’s not like she is seeing his ghost, she is projecting Yuuki from her mind. I dunno, I don’t find it hard to believe. The trauma was big.

23. cyril says:

I understand that it’s an adult anime etc, but I don’t think they can seriously really “kill” Yuuki. What – with the history of lucky escapes so far. I predict that Yuuki slipped into coma and they left him at the hospital and when Mari and Mirai find the parents and get back to the hospital, Yuuki wakes up. Happy end.
    I, personally, wouldn’t mind it.

24. Judy says:

Fantastic ? not quite Is was a good solid episode.

E©agree with you,E reverse.
    We do not need Sixth Sense in this show.

25. cyril says:

Come to think of it: piggybank in the bag == urn?
    ;_;

26. Larien says:

I agree that Mari’s reaction to the “death” of her family was correct for most – I am extremely close with my mother, and if I were to find out she’d died, no child in my care would matter to me anymore and I would lose sight of everything around me and be in complete despair.

I think Mirai is slowly beginning to realize that her brother is gone – remember that the way Yuuki is manifested to Mirai is entirely her creation, her subconscious is inventing every word he says and every action he makes. At the end of this episode, Yuuki needs to tell her something – I’m guessing it’s something along the lines of, “I’m gone, let me go” and so it’s really her mind telling her (after being briefly reminded of his hospital ordeal when seeing Mari’s family in the hospital) to begin accepting it.

Earlier in the series Mirai was quite negative in some respects, kind of a Debbie Downer about things – earlier she would have accepted Hina’s death and not gone looking for her. I imagine her saying something like, “She’s dead, she’s right here in front of us…” But this time, her made up Yuuki which is in fact her own subconscious is pushing her to NOT accept it, and search anyway. Through “Yuuki,” she’s gained optimism.

So it’s my belief that Yuuki is less of a hallucination and more of a subconscious thought process, which can’t be physically portrayed in any way, as it’s someone’s mind and thoughts, so it takes form as her visualizing Yuuki. And Mirai is most likely feeling a sense of guilt, this was the little brother who annoyed her, and now he’s gone – this is her chance to be a better sister. She can’t face that she never really acknowledged her true love for him.

27. Larien says:

OH And I forgot to add this:

At the end of the episode, the anchorwoman incorrectly refers to Crash Syndrome, which is in fact called “Crush Syndrome” – the cause of Yuuki’s death. Remember when he was trapped under the rubble in the mall? He sustained serious internal injury from the crushing pressure, and is usually fatal is treatment is not immediately given.

It’s common in earthquakes.

28. Echo says:

Ah thanks for that clarification, Larien – I looked up “crash syndrome” (thinking it was Mirai’s disease) and only got some obscure descriptions.

2 things about this ep:
    When they came upon the supposed bodies of Mari’s mom and daughter, I resolved that they weren’t dead unless Mari actually confirmed their faces. Especially with the mind games of the previous episode, how can you just assume they’re the right people? So that supposed death scene didn’t really affect me, rather bothered me that Mari didn’t feel like actually checking them and just accepted them as her family.

Looking back at the last 2 episodes assuming Yuki is gone, it annoys me that Mari doesn’t have a stronger reaction to Mirai treating her brother as if he were alive. I believe she figures it out in ep 8, even tears up about it in front of Mirai….and they’re always walking together; can she not hear Mirai conversing with herself? Just how long was she going to let Mirai live in denial?

I honestly was expecting the truth to be revealed when Mari and her daughter were reunited with grandma and Mirai is introduced to them – alone. But no, she wanders off again, and only now does Mari seem distressed that Mirai is out and about thinking that her brother is still with her.

29. Pearlholy says:

Larien, I believe it was the people who subbed the episode made a small mistake in the previews. After replaying the end several times, I believe the anchorwoman said ‘Crush Syndrome’. I could be wrong, however it was harder to differentiate ‘Crush’ and ‘Crash’.

On the side note, I do believe that recycling the ‘He’s dead OR NOT’ idea, is slightly cliche. However, the producers wrote it nicely. So, I cannot bring myself to criticize and complain about it. I was relieved to see that Mari’s family were okay. Everyone pretty much said what I have been contemplating about; I do believe Mirai’s behaviour/trauma is quite realistic. Perhaps the producers failed to make it less cliche for some the viewers to enjoy. But I cannot help but to sympathized with Mirai. For someone who disregarded and barely cared for her brother, I was sad that Yuuki died right after they began to get along.

On the side note, I feel like Mari is like an adult version of Mirai. I would not know how to word it out but yeah… >_>;;

30. dickens says:

Okay guys, I can understand that some people like this stylized storytelling but can you stop using the word realistic? I’m not going to call myself an expert, but I’ve been studying psychology for 3 years and what is portrayed in this anime is certainly not realistic. In cases of trauma and grief people do not suddenly see the walking talking ghosts of the deceased as if they are alive. That is pure movie tropes that don’t happen in real life. They have brief hallucinations, yes, but only people who are already unstable in the head have the kind of experiences Mirai is having.

31. Dian says:

I knew it!!! i just knew it from ep. 8 , but I’m in denial!! and the first time I watch ep. 9, the clue of yuuki died jumps here and there, I mean, yuuki doesn’t talk with mari-chan anymore, the backpack!! oh god, I hate it!! bring Yuuki backk!!

32. Divaa says:

Woah am I the only one who didn’t know he was dead?
    Wow, I usually catch on to that stuff.

33. Reiter says:

Mirai and Yuuki seriously have got to stop wandering off alone by themselves. Whatever happened to their promise of them telling each other where they were going before leaving? It seems like they do it every single episode! XD

Ok, I guess in this case Mirai, in her tragic state of denial, believes that everything will be all ok with sunshine and rainbows now that Mari has been reunited with her mother and daughter, and that frees Mirai and what she thinks is Yuuki to stop being a burden to Mari and to continue on their own way back home alone. I did like how Mirai, through Yuuki, was convinced not to give up and to keep looking for Mari’s family despite the odds. Yuuki’s ever present optimism, even after his death (or specifically, because of it) really did rub off on Mirai.

It’s just sad that it took the death of Yuuki for Mirai to finally start appreciating her little brother and his sunny, innocent way of looking at the world, rather than sulk and wallow in self pity and cynicism like most teenagers are wont to do, even in the face of disaster.

This isn’t the first time that an anime series killed off the sweet, innocent young brother character (for drama’s sake or whatever the case may be). Blood+ did something similar. Yes, Mirai hallucinating her brother to be alive and being in complete denial about his death is very TV/movie-tropish and not very realistic at all, but it’s all about building drama, I guess, particularly in the case where the last two episodes are going to focus on Mirai (and/or her parents) confronting the truth about the tragedy.

Still, I’m enjoying the show a lot, flaws and all. It does remind me a little bit of Grave of the Fireflies; completely different scenario and emotional tones, but comparisons can be made for how the characters react to tragedy and disaster. I’m hoping Mirai doesn’t end up an orphan by the end, though if that were the case, I could see Mari adopting her into her family as a result.

34. AnimaticallyInsane says:

Awesome episode! espcially the renuion between Mari and her daughter (and her mother)!

However, i hated the cliff hanger at the end of the episode. I was hoping that they would clear up yuki’s death in this episode but NO….they gave us another cliff hanger and we are still in denial….

For me i hope that Yuki is still alive but just in serious condition such that hes at the hospital still and actually not dead….but we will see in the next episode (hopefully….)

35. Pafiume says:

I really enjoyed this episode. The only thing that made it weird was Yuuki going, “Hey, maybe they’re alive!” I can understand optimism, but that’s like, “Hey, let’s take a shot in the dark.” And it was another one of those little hints that usually mean whatever it’s talking about is true. Which it was. I would have thought that when Mari lifted the towels off the unidentified bodies and realized they WEREN’T her family they would go searching again. The situation in the episode is much more enjoyable, though.

Personally, I don’t see how Yukki could still be alive. If he was alive, and just in critical condition as people are hoping, I don’t think Mirai would have delusions about him. Additionally, why would she and Mari leave him alone in a hospital? It’s still possible I guess, and I wouldn’t mind for him to be alive, but I don’t think so. I think that the last “dream sequence” from the episode he was in the hospital, where the doctor comes out and Mirai bursts into tears, was the real thing. And if I remember correctly his heart beat went out?

The part with the backpack was the most interesting to me. After Mari ran out with the backpack in hand, and you see the close up of Yukki, it looks like he still has the straps on his shoulders. I wonder if what snaps Mirai out of it is Mari chasing after them (and catching up eventually?) and showing the backpack!

dickens: I can totally agree that that isn’t realistic. The moment I saw that the Yuuki hallucination wasn’t just going away after they went off the soccer field in the hospital it went from realistic to a little over the top.

36. KamikazeSim says:

Mari’s reunion with her family made me cry. I have teared up in this series many times but tears finally came out of my eyes in this episode. Seeing Mari hug her daughter made me so happy with tears especially since Yuuki is dead.

“Three days since the earthquake….Repeated occurrences of Crush syndrome have been reported.” Like Larian said (#27), its common in earthquakes.

He HAS to be dead. This show has been too damn good with the minor hints spread out that it will be disappointing if we get a Deus Ex Machina ending with Yuuki being in a coma in the hospital.

Not trying to be depressing but the tease of his death has made this show better than anything this year. Thursday night cannot get here sooner!

37. FusionKilla says:

Actually there is a CRASH syndrome and it is inherited as an X-linked trait and so affects mainly boys

38. saku says:

what? you haven’t watched honey & clover??
    O_O

39. Solaris says:

@Saku, what’s so strange about it? I also skipped Honey and Clover ’cause I don’t like that stuff so much (romance movies)

40. meow says:

Regarding Mari’s hesitation to verify the identities of the two corpses, I think I can agree that this is realistic. The builds of those corpses looked similar to her mom and daughter, right down to the little girl’s hair ornaments – although they were a different color. I don’t think it’s that abnormal to hesitate to confirm a possible terrible truth – kind of like being terrified of checking the results of a medical test to see if you have some incurable fatal disease. How many of us would be prepared to look into the dead faces of a loved one? I also thought this scene and this line of story was an important illustration of difficulty identifying the dead in the midst of the major disaster. Earlier in the story, there was a minor scene where a relief worker admonished a father from taking the body of her daughter away before it was officially identified. Here, Mari was prepared to accept that her family was dead, even though in fact, they were alive somewhere else.

I thought also that having Mari pressed into duty as a nurse for her injured mother by the hospital was also a nice touch. It was both a realistic depiction of a real earthquake situation and a useful plot device to separate Mari and Mirai for dramatic effect to draw out how Mirai would settle her situation with Yuki. Although Yuki is dead, he remains a main character and I think final resolution of this won’t happen til up to the very last episode.

I agree with what people have said her about Mirai’s hallucination of Yuuki being the most unrealistic part of this story. (Actually, I’m wondering if Yuuki is meant to be Yuuki’s actual ghost rather than simply a hallucination. I agree that the situation doesn’t seem quite right for her to be seeing things – she’s exhausted and extremely stressed but not on any drugs and hasn’t had head injuries…?) However, I feel that this series is meant to be something like a semi-documentary to prepare people for events and issues that can happen during a real earthquake and unfortunately, one of the most difficult and unfortunately potentially unavoidable issues to deal with is the death of a precious and irreplaceable loved one. I’m curious to see how this show will handle this. There also remains the issue of whether Mirai’s parents survived.

41. Theowne says:

@Solaris
    Honey and Clover is more than a “romance” show, in fact that romance elements are the least important part of the show in my personal opinion.

42. Solaris says:

Thx theowne (and saku). I might give it a try, just to make sure i guessed rigth or wrong about the anime. But i have some more shows on my watch list by now, so Honey and Clover will have to wait.

43. Snowolf says:

SPOILER ALERT! (for people who don’t wanna know- please skip this comment. but you probably do know because half of these past comments show the spoiler without alerting it)

Guys, hallucination is perfectly normal for under stress, pressure, strain and shock. It’s what causes hallucinations, otherwise than a blow to your head, or if you’re stocked up on drugs.

Mirai’s delusions, as we all know by now fully well that her brother is dead, it is perfectly fine for her to have delusions. She’s only a child, and is not used to having such a trauma in her life. And the fact it came so unexpectedly also adds to reason of why’d she have a hallucination. (It’s a hallucination by the way, not a delusion).

I saw episode ten, and I won’t reveal anything, but if you thought this show could get any more depressing, you thought wrong. It got a hell lot more sad, and I couldn’t stop crying.

44. Snowolf says:

Even more reasons- she’s tired, hungry, lonely, mentally exhausted, and loves her brother. :D

*bring tissues for next episode*

45. Pearlholy says:

For someone who has been studying psychology for quite some time now, I think you have disregarded the fact that visual and auditory hallucinations are down-to-earth results of extreme trauma, stress, strain and fatigue like Snowolf has stated. It was sort of pretentious of you to claim that because I am currently studying/majoring in Psychology as well. It was offending to see your remarks. While I may not be opening my textbooks while analyzing the situation, I think what most people are trying to say when they mention realistic, they mean ‘down-to-earth’, including myself. Anyone can be unstable after losing someone dear to them and children, adolescents are more sensitive to tragic experiences and it takes very little to make the tip over. If Mirai manages to get over her hallucination, then she is not as ‘unstable’ as we think…

But I've seen other Godzilla things so I pretty much was supposed to see this anyway.
Or you know you could always take what I said with a pinch of salt, because you know....I don't get on with Urobutcher.
The idea behind it is definately cool and a different spin for the franchise though.
Maybe I was held back a bit by the cgi or the mediorce voice acting.
But I'd need to see its followup before properly assessing it.
Godzilla often makes for silly films, but lke alot of silly older films the silliness and seriousness combine without clashing, this one is too Poe faced .
I saw that Godzilla anime film, I'd describe it as watchable in parts but far too caught up in setup mode and an unlikeable protaganist , it could go somewhere with what it raised at the start but this is an example of a first film in a trilogy that suffers from being unable to currently stand on its own.
I generally feel that Itou's stories have a winning track record but theres exceptions, Uzumaki and Gyo in manga form struggle toward the end and the first episode story the anime chose to adapt is, while fun one of the weaker offerings.
Alonaria
Honestly, the shorter stories have been more effective at getting a reaction out of me, though. I actually didn't really enjoy the first episode's first story, mostly because I found the MC too obnoxious. :.D Maybe because my younger brother chased me with a bug once and it was really unpleasant. XD
@Anon: It wasn't just it coming out of her mouth, but when they were stamping on them too.
@Kaiser: Yah, I was horrified for like 5 seconds but the other characters made me crack up. :.D
Although it was mixed in with laughing my ass of eventually.
Of all the Itou stories to be un-nerved by, its the second half of this third episode oddly that does it for me and I never get uncomfortable during anything .
@Anon, We are working on it.
Are you planning on making a top anime of 2017 list?
Yeah Mash is one of the few good ones it seems.
Oh damn, good that you remind me, I didn't pick anything yet. But I guess I will go with Altera, considering that some of them don't look that good and I own her anyway. Would have wanted the Scat one but the drawing looks weird.
Which Bond CE did you pick for the 2 mill? I went with the Mash one. Only only whose artwork I liked.
Might settle for making Bryn my endgame lancer though.
As I said in my Apocrypha post, I have no interest in any version of Jeanne. My top priorities for my endgame team is Isekander, Scathach and assassin Shiki. And Shiki is a welfare so only need to worry about the other two.
Yeah, I was considering to keep rolling for the new 4* at first but I really want Jeanne Alter and she's coming soon.
@Amagi, I tried rolling for Karna and got nothing. Though I think Bryn is better. I plan on rolling one more time with the saint quartz we are getting to try for NP2. Though we do have the valintines event coming.
@Aidan: Same here, just got Brynhildr. Even though I already got Karna last month. But I wanted her, nice design, finally a single-targed 5* and she's even one of the few servants related to my country.
@SuperMario. The contemplation of the death of humanity, and the loneliness, both were very disturbing to me. Kinda like thinking of my grave.
YANDERE GET. Bryn's mine baby.
Gonna try rolling for Brynhildr tomorrow. Bit annoyed they chose to translate it as Brynhild. I mean it's not incorrect but her name is far more recognisable as Brynhildr
@Amagi, The grind wasn't that bad for me. Mordred carried me for it. Though I managed to get Siegfried in the gacha despite not being on rate up. I admit that the event was rather lackluster. Story wasn't that fun and the whole saber restriction was a pain. Also gonna take me a while to readjust to regular damage.
Man that FGO Saber Wars event was annoying. I am happy finally I have 2 mio. altrium now and am done with it.
Reminder that netflix Godzilla anime is later today.
Damn I didn't noticed that ankle band of the little demon from the intro scene of FranXX 01, now I feel stupid.
Yuasa is great! Ping pong and Tatami Galaxy are still some of my favorites
Oh fuck, the lead singer of the Cranberries passed away. I literally just listened to their music yesterday. Damnn, sad news
@Kaiser; thanks for considering me but I believe Wooper is much more a Yuasa's fan than I am
Far out!!!
SuperWooper
Yuasa will be answering questions on Reddit's anime board on the 20th.
@Niello: what do you mean regarding Yuasa?
@Travlos: I agree that Girls Last Tour is a special little gem, but in what ways it's disturbing?
Niello
Holy cow, Masaaki Yuasa AMA!! What magic is this?
Niello
Meawhile, Japan took a different approach and we ends up with a bunch of .hack rehash and diving more and more into escapism. Until we eventually got isekai and then it just spiraled into a sea of mediocrity.
Niello
While that opened its own can of worms, at least it opens up element about making ends meet, managing irl relationships, earning extra income for a poor family, getting cheated etc.
Niello
in the characters real life just fine. Something more a long the line of Net-juu but more technologically advanced. And I would say that plenty of those have been superior to Japanese online game and isekai story shenanigans. That said, it doesn't mean that those don't have their own kind of traps they usually fall in. A bunch of those instead focus on the aspect of making money off of games.
Niello
...Getting stuck in a virtual reality game and being transport to another world that happens to be like a game are completely different though. I don't know what is it with Japan and getting stuck in game plots considering that there are loads of other game-base Asian novels that came before it that manage story lines where they manage to tell compelling stories in game while balancing what happen
I finally finished Girls Last Tour. What a profound, fluffy and disturbing masterpiece. Bravo.
Yeah. I feel the world swap is pretty much pointless when real life isn't relevant anymore. It's just a stupid as hell excuse to combine fantasy wish fullfilment with self-inserts, which is why these main characters tend to be 29 by now, just like the big part of the otaku community.
Of those you listed, no, I dont think they get explained? I mean, SAO did, but I dont think that falls into your category.

Thats why I liked .hack//sign over alot of more modern game Isekai. Also .hack//sign did explain what happened to Tsukasa.
Considering how bad most of these are I wouldn't wonder if they wouldn't even bother with an explanation and just end it with the characters being happy in that game world and that's it. Or magic and the whole harem gets transported into reality at the end because power of love and such.
I have no problem with a sci-fi fantasy mix, I liked .hack//sign for example, but it annoys me that such an incredibly bizarre situation gets never explained. Or maybe it will but it never happened so far because none of these LNs was ever finished and concluded yet. I just wish to know how they explain that.
I mean all those shows in which the character just finds himself stuck in a real world that's (coincidentally?) the same as the game he recently played. Be it Overlord, Death March, Log Horizon or the 300 other series with that premise.
Some thing that always bothered me about game isekai for which I never got an answer so far: did any of those series ever end and/or explain how the warp has happened and why the MC is in the game? - Not talking about .hack, SAO and such where the action of getting trapped is part of the premise
Niel
@Eoghan - Btw, Kokkoku isn't a time travel. it's stasis, apparently. Looks very promising so far. Though if I am to trust the manga score, it's shit.
Niel
But is Toradora really slice of life? As far as I can see it's straight up romance.
And Mario, ill rag on SOL all I want! :P

Wooper, its true good shows transcend genre, as there are still some like Toradora I like, but those are exceptions that prove the rule so to speak.
@Niel, yeah I base my potential % on the odds something gets/stays good.
I am of similar mindset about Franxx. I want it to get better but I don't really see it doing so. Unless the other characters get a majority personality boost or the MC stops being a plank.
Niel
XD
I confess....I only sat through just over half an episode of aldonoah.
Niel
Since it's Trigger, I will give the benefit of the doubt. I'm just very skeptical about this whole formula.
Niel
The way I can see this series improving is through world building. And if other aspects are going to improve too, it's going to revolve around that.
Niel
It leaves about as much impression on me as much as the first episode of Aldnoah did, and I dropped that one straight away. The character chemistry doesn't look like it will go places that's not cliche. The gimmick doesn't seem like it has much potential either.
Niel
So you're all betting it on "this is going to get better". I mean, I hope it gets better. Though right now this feels more Kiznaiver than Kill la Kill or LWA.
I'd nominate Mario to do the devilman review as he's the most immediate Yuasa fan to do it and Bam is too awol to write it.
The cute girl shows just bleed and blend in my mind now, same with the isekai shows.
Devilman, my show of the season, unless after the rain ends up having some emotional wallop.
So for me its looking like: Junji itou, Cardcaptor sakura, keeping up with sangatsu, wait and see on amegari . Not watching a time travel or trigger show and I remain unable to sit through Mahoutsukai .
The story itself is generic so far but so are most Trigger series at the beginning so not sure. Maybe it will stay weak, but in general I prefer series that start with the weaker episodes and get better and better over time over the many series that use up all of their budget and trump cards in the first episode and drag on after that.
I really love Trigger's esthetics and their characters. I am happy they're more often involved in non-trigger-only productions because I honestly think that most of the stuff I enjoyed about FranXX was heavily influenced by them.
@Nielo: Franxx's first ep was stellar for me. Storywise, it's lackluster (and I see the similar in tropes between this and Beatless) but production-wise it's excellent
I think I just keep watching it on a weekly basis. Still trippy as hell
Okay, I just watched second episode of Devilman Crybaby and it's still pretty good.
Nielo
By the way, what's up with Darling in the Franxx? I thought it's a very weak first episode.
Nielo
@Lenlo: Slice of life isn't my thing either, and I usually avoid series set in high school.
Nielo
@SuperMario: Takagi-san is cute, I'll admit that, but since I already read the manga it's not new to me. Sora Yori is good, but it's not particularly cute. I found Hakumei to Mikochi and Yuru Camp very boring. Haven't got the chance to watch Mitsuboshi Colors or Gakuen Babysisters but I don't think they could be more cute than Mii-kun.
SuperWooper
HOT TAKE: Genre is irrelevant. What matters is whether a show is good.
Don't knock off MY genre Lenlo. It's one of the reason I got into anime in the first place :)
Im not saying it doesn't do what it sets out to. I just don't think what it sets out to do is all that... great.
@Niello, Slice of Life was never my Genre in the first place :/ I typically avoid them. I have my own life to deal with and already graduated high school, why would I want to deal with a melodramatic anime highschool, is my line of thought.
@Niello: okay, let's see:Takagi-san (the titular character), Mitsuboshi Colors, Gakuen Babysisters (Toddlers!!), Hakumei to Milochi (tiny girls) and two more slightly more mature but equally cute: Sora Yori and Yuru Camp's casts
Nielllo
@SuperMario: I'm sure this is where our definition of "cute" parts way, but I'll ask anyway, what are those 5 shows?
@Niello: seems so because I can eaisily pick 5 more shows that are cuter, and better than Mummy this season ;)
Nielllo
...So I suppose I'm the only one who's kinda bored out by a lot of the slice of life shows that's trying to be cute this season and only perked up by the Mummy anime because it's actually do what it's meant to do and be legit cute.
I am interested in Koi, but still have concern about the relationship itself.

@Vonter, the mummy anime would be better as short vignettes together I feel.
Koi amegari is surprisingly tasteful, subdued and pretty.
*to where
Try as I might, my love of kyoani tv anime has largely evaporated did where I no longer want to bother at this stage, I'll just wait and see. I'll just stay quiet on the franxx anime, theres little value in me trying to get through a trigger work at this point.
I get the exact same feeling with Takagi-san. It's pretty good on what it does but 20 minutes of the same thing for a whole season doesn't sound that promising
The chibi mummy anime
It's a shame it isn't a shorter 10 or 5 minute series, I think that format would make it shine more, since it does what it's trying to do.
Speaking of it, I liked the second episode of Kokkuko or whatever the name is even more than the first one.
I really have a problem with all these shows that rely on one single thing, joke, shenanigan or whatever. Be it something cute, some certain kind of interactiong or whatever. It doesn't matter how good it is it will bore me with episode 2.
Like, yeah, the mummy was cute. But the cute became rote/bland really quick. There has to be more than "cute" to be worth watching for more than a single episode to me.
@Niello, I was harsh because its not aimed at me. I wanted to drop it 5 minutes in, kept up for the post, then was thankful it was over. There wasnt anything overtly bad about it. Its just there was nothing good either.
To be fair it's not as if we are lacking cute in this season.
In fact it's in danger of inflation.
@Niello: yes, the mummy is cute, the show is cute but beside that it's pretty mediocre. That show in particular is the only show that I have the damnest time to give it a potential rating.
Niello
It's not even down because of legal reasons, since the site pull down contents that are lincensed. It's down cause it's too much for the site owner to manage. Much of it also have to do with too many bots, which comes back to how a lot of other sites are relying on batoto.
Niello
@Masky: Not enough manga titles are getting translated. Batoto is the site scanlation groups basically rely on, and where other aggregation sites pull their content from. No batoto no obscure titles, a big blow to small scantation groups and one big manga/scanlator community down.
Niello
Why are you guys so harsh on the mummy show? It's so darn cute. Give it some credit. If a comedy show can be good because it does comedy well I don't see why a show ike Mummy can't be good if it can make people go "aww".
I don't really know why that is the case, maybe marketing budget and UI friendliness when done right? :P
Eh, wouldn't say it will kill manga industry. I mean, more and more official methods of reading manga online is starting to pop up and legit channels to pay to get access to manga can surprisingly enough harm free channels to get manga.
Anyway, I do find it funny how how the isekai character dies can be so meaningless that is joke in most of them
Niello
Batoto is going down, how this affect the manga reading is going to be interesting. Hope it's not slowly dying.
(at least that one, besides forgetting to introduce what the heck is gimmick besides generickness, acknowledged how most of otaku mcs shouldn't erally want to get transferred to fantasy world since they never get to see how their favourite mangas end :P )
Anyhoo, it gets annoying since its not just isekai being cliche, sometimes is just them being kind of badly written(or at least adapted to manga). Like, I found one new isekai today, but I have no idea what its gimmick is(from what I understood, its that "cute companion" that character gets is hideously op because mc didn't spefy cute girl when he asked god manager dude for cute companion)
Slime one is one of better from the more generic ones weirdly enough :P I mean I still wouldn't call it good, but at least MC character isn't god tier, just top tier and it has sort of village building simulation feel to it. Plus at least naming things giving monsters more powers is something funny regarding jrpg mechanics
Or alternatively the car was on a boat with the character or parents in it and the boat and car were hit by a falling plane lol
Its always "car accident" that sends the characters to another world or in harem cases "Lost parents due to car crash", for christs sake doesn't anyone die in out of control plane or speedboat crashes anymore, at least make it a motorbike....
Nayrael
Ah sorry, should probably not have touched the colors...
Nayrael
Trust me, Isekai is better when it doesn't try to be imaginative. When it tries to be original then... Isekai with a Smartphone... Isekai where the MC turns into a Slime... and my favorite: Isekai where the MC became a Hot Spring popular with sexy girls.
Assuming "new" things can happen under the sun
Anyhoo, I do wonder what the heck will be next "popular genre trope that will become so overused cliche that everyone groans whenever show uses it even if its actually good show"
Like, seriously you could do really interesting story variant on isekai with that if done right. Suddenly becoming characters you have roleplayed would be trippy as hell espicially if one of characters went really into detail with backstory while one of them is just "Bob the fighter, he likes fighting" and has to deal with what happens when you assume life of such a person
But I wouldn't honestly be surprised because of my anger issues related to amount of unimaginative isekai :P Though I guess trpg based one would be more imaginative in comparison
I'd assume not since I assume tabletop rpgs are much more niche than jrpgs in japan
So has anyone yet done isekai where guys getting transferred were playing trpg? :P
quite happy with most recent Attack of Titan manga chapter.
Alright, one more impression post to go before we really get on to new season
@Kaiser: yep, I just fixed it. Thank you
*than just the reviewers names
A slight problem with the coding there in the newest impression, showing code gobbledeegook rather than the reviewers names above their impressions.
@Mario: I'm seeing it on 2nd of February.
@Mario: Late screeners generally leak shortly after the uk release, so maybe early Febbruary it'll be online?
@Kaiser: yep, Phantom Thread. Could be Daniel Day Lewis's final performance. Is it available online already?
@Mario: Did you know that Paul Thomas Anderso8n has a new film coming out? Also I found out there is a Polish semi-knockoff of purple rose of cairo.
Awesome, just got myself an invite to a secret private torrent site =)
@Kaiser When I was in University, I was a waiter at a Korean-owned Japanese Sushi restaurant with a kitchen staff of entirely Mexicans with poor English. The owner, while he provided the rest of his staff with small meals during our lunch or dinner shifts, never game any to the kitchen staff. The guy even ranted to a customer about how "lazy" or "ignorant" they were.
Buses are pretty common in America, even outside the major super-cities like LA, NYC, or Chicago. It's public rail you're thinking of that we don't have much of outside the cities.
I brought up the racisim/aunt story wondering if anyone had any horror stories about where they worked?
@Bokusen: Buses don't seem to be a thing in America, meanwhile over here, despite traffic, public transport is much more of a thing, couldn't imagine not getting a train or bus somewhere.
@Amagi. I must say you changed my positive view of the German education system.
@Amagi: And yet Austria gets the far right party in power and Israel also has a far right apartheid leader.
If any good came from it, her boss got banned from facebook .
Two years ago the alt/new right hold a rally here since they're successful elsewhere with their anti-immigrant/PoC speeches. In the end it was 35 nazis vs 29.000 counter-demonstrators. The joke: when they had to leave with police protection they shouted "We are the people". Yes 35 hated bigots are surely the people, not the 29k. I laughed.
@Kaiser-Eoghan: That aunt story is pretty shit. I am kinda happy about smartphones nowadays, you can often make photos or record speech if you are witnessing something. Also, thank God the racists in my city are very rare since antifa and leftwingers took hold of it decades ago - now 70% of people are immigrants so racists don't even tend to show up anymore.
Nielllo
Great. I don't think most of what I wrote actually appeared in the chat.
Niello
what I'm going to do in the long run.
Niello
While Liberal art colleges are really good for developing writing and reading skills, the truth is in science classes you still don't do much of that. it's also limited by general lack of equipments that you get at bigger Uni. My college don't even have engineering.
Bokusen
@Kaiser Darn it, I hate it when racists try to justify their beliefs. That guy sounds like a major jerk!
Bokusen
@Niello Ah, yeah I think I might have preferred the UK system too if they give a month to study for exams! Wow...That sounds much nicer. Oh, and yeah, I wish the US had better public transport too... After seeing Japan's public transport system, I wish the US's could be more like it.
The landlords love to kickout people through unfair prices a stick their friends in instead.
Since we're on careers, it reminds me, one of my aunts telling me what a bastard her boss was, guy was a racist, she complained about it then he got rid of all the evidence linking him to it and made it seem as if she was the rascist and humiliated her in front of her Arab friends.
I think we all end up getting this huge kick in the ass moment where we learn andget it together.
It gets better thankfully, grew up and am happy with this postal clerk job.
The landlord story is a common one, they still think themselves feudal lords.
And yeah, all this neet time. Although not moving out isn't that uncommon here anymore, considering how the rent increases, especially in my region (European bank city). And if I look at my friends it seems like they've the same problems. Even those who have found their dream jobs are otherwise living a nerdy life, going to pubs at night and so on. I think a part of us will always stay twenty.
@Kaiser-Eoghan: This "career" was exactly the same for me. I am pretty sure I wasn't even capable of thinking about my future up until, as you said, mid-twenties. There were just so many other things that interested/bothered me, school wasn't even among my top 30s or so.
@Amagi: Oh how I regret not getting into novels, noe my concentration is too shit to read them.
Actually I don't think teenagers even really know who they themselves actually are .
Youth is wasted on the young.

Violet Evergarden – 02 [Never Coming Back]

I’m thankful that this second episode plays out much quieter and more subtle than the first, because I’m not a fan at all with the grandeur approach of the first episode. This makes the second week of Violet slightly better than last week, but I still find myself not totally satisfied with the whole experience. […]

Kokkoku – 2 [The Second Moment]

Hello and welcome to the 2018 Winter season! This time, we have an interesting little time-based drama called Kokkoku. It has mystery, it has cults, it has dead-beat parents and apparent god-like beings. Lets jump in! To start, a quick blurb about our characters. Personally, I like them so far. They are all flawed and imperfect […]

A Place Further than the Universe – 03 [The Follow Backs Don’t Stop]

“I could just die right now” That line, spoken by our new member, Yuzuki, bookends this week’s Universe. It marks the shift in the new girl’s character growth. Last week, the Expedition girls mentioned they have a plan to raise fund, right? Turns out it’s not the mother, but the young girl herself, is used […]

Junji Ito Collection – 02[Fashion Model, Long Dreams]

After the first episode started off as a black comedy, I was worried that this series may suffer the same problem as Kino’s Journey in that the weaker stories in his work would be chosen for adaption. Lucky this does not appear to be the case but there is another problem which is not quite […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 13/14 [East, West, Homes Best]/[Looks breed love]

Hello and welcome to the new year! New Year, a new Cour for Mahoutsukai no Yome, this time with slightly more plot. These past two weeks have been a bumpy ride of Mahoutsukai, with plenty to talk about. So let’s jump in! To start off, the new OP is terrible. The music isn’t as good […]

A Place Further than the Universe – 02 [Kabukicho Fremantle]

I’m glad that this second episode addresses straight out all my worries from the first episode: the actual implementation to make that trip a reality, because boy, it’s no simple matter. Universe apparently does its research, telling us exactly places they need to go, the initial trip ahead and the amount of money they need […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 33/34 [Where the Sun Shines…Light]

It’s been three weeks since my last 3-gatsu post, a gap owed in part to the break the show took around New Years’. Perhaps it’s because of all that time away from the series, or maybe it’s due to the massive difference between these two episodes, but I had a tough time connecting with the […]

Dies Irae – 10/11[Einherjar/Self-Destruction Factor]

Quite late in covering this one though out of the three shows I covered for the fall season my level of interest in this series has more or less evaporated. Truth be told, while this is a episode review of ten and eleven, i honestly cannot even remember what happened in episode ten. I think […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 12 [Better to ask the way than go astray]

Welcome to the end of Mahoutsukai’s first cour! Apologies for the lateness of this review. I had expected another to come out over Christmas and to simply do a double feature, but Mahoutsukai pulled on over on me! This week we finish up Chise’s wand, get to see Grandfather Nevin again and have an almost […]

In This Corner of the World (2016) Movie Review – 90/100

In this Corner of the World (for the purpose of this review, I’ll refer it as “Corner”), is the truest slice of life drama if you ever encounter one, in that it’s a slice into an ordinary life of an ordinary girl during the War period. That speaks into the very first strength of Corner, […]

Houseki no Kuni (Fall 2017) Review – 92/100

Make no mistake, Houseki no Kuni is the most ambitious anime project of the year. Not only because it’s an entirely CG project (and make a damn good use of it, mind you), or because of its narrative scope that at once strange, grand and beauty, but also in its very conception in their production […]

Fate/Apocrypha Anime Review – 64/100

I was quite excited for Apocrypha and in the so called year of Fate adaptations, it looked to be the crown jewel. Sadly, partly due to lacking adaption and the source lacking in areas, this anime turned out to be not quite the jewel I thought it would be. It’s hard to call this a […]

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World Anime Review – 73/100

One of the surprises of the year was to see the return of Kino’s Journey, a very well regarded and more unique anime among those deemed classic. Many, myself included, were very much looking forward to the return of Kino and her talking Motorrad. Though due to some factors this series doesn’t quite live up […]

Girls’ Last Tour (Fall 2017) Review – 86/100

Girls’ Last Tour falls within my favorite new trend that emerging the anime medium over the last decade: a dark moe anime. Set in a post-apocalyptic world where the human race has almost extinct, our two girls wandering around the world in their kettenkrad looking for food and shelter. If it sounds a bit bleak […]

Two tales of War: Reviewing The Heroic Legend of Arslan and Altair: A Record of Battles

It would not be an exaggeration to say that my favorite type of anime is the political-military epic. This comes partly out of my profession, I study war and politics, but also my hobby, as military and political history is something I enjoy. When it comes to anime there is a clear sub-category that can […]

The Night is Short, Walk On Girl (2017) Movie Review – 92.5/100

“How many decades have passed since our drinking contest?” “It hasn’t been that long. It was only a few hours ago, this very night!” That gap in time perceiving plays a significant role in Night is Short. For you see, it all depends on how our perception of the surroundings and time itself can affect […]

Ballroom e Youkoso Review – 65/100

In the weeks leading up to the summer 2017 season, Ballroom e Youkoso was one of the most buzzed-about new series. Produced by the Production I.G. team responsible for the smash hit Haikyuu!!, and set to air on Amazon’s brand new Anime Strike service, the series had no shortage of promotion or hype behind it. […]

Inuyashiki Review – 80/100

Do you know what the average age of an anime protagonist is? Neither do I, but I’d wager its in the upper teens. For obvious reasons, most anime focus on high school and have high school aged protagonists with similarly aged problems. Its not often that we get a good older main character, who has […]