Posted by psgels on 18 September 2009 with categories: Tokyo Magnitude 8.0

Haha! Another show with a very satisfying ending. This episode was bittersweet, and I think that everyone who managed to keep his/her suspense of disbelief is going to find it an excellent conclusion. In this episode, Mirai comes to terms with what happened to Yuki, she meets her parents, and attempts to continue her life. While most conclusions in anime are a bit lackluster, this episode was in no way inferior to the rest of this amazing series.

But damn, I don’t think that I’ve ever had such a heated discussion going on as for the past few episodes. Personally though, I wasn’t bothered by Mirai’s hallucinations. Instead, I just see this series as fiction, with a very high degree of believability. For me, there were only three points that seemed forced: Mari who just happened to run into her co-worker as she collapsed, the point where Mirai was trying to save the trapped robot and nearly died herself, and the point at which Tokyo Tower nearly collapsed on Mirai but Yuki managed to save her. Nevertheless, in any other show this would just be anal nitpicking.

Thinking back though, the whole Yuki vs. Mirai relationship seems to be much deeper than I originally thought. I mean, we all thought that this would be a series in which the initially bratty Mirai would grow up and take care of her brother. However, this happened already in the second episode. After that, these whole themes reversed, and it was actually Yuki who took care of Mirai; it could be seen as his way to repay Mirai for saving him, he kept her out of danger, he saved her from the Tokyo Tower and the accident with the falling robot. He was the one who tried to cheer her up when she was feeling down.

And even when he died, his hallucination continued this trend: he safely guided her back home, and slowly tried to make her understand that he died. The question remains of course, what the real intention from the creators was. Was the Yuki meant to be taken as symbolism, something like a guardian angel, or did Mirai subconsciously create something that would guide her back home safely until she would be out of danger? Are those options realistic? Nah, not really. Are they believable? For me, they are.

It’s always a bit of a gamble for a series to go into a different direction. The first half of this series was clearly different from the second, as this series changed from a detailed look at how a major city reacts after being hit by a major earthquake, to a character-study of Mirai. In my opinion, these changes can work as long as the new direction has enough to offer, which was definitely the case with this series for me. It was a nice gamble in any case: if the creators would just have continued with the same direction as the first half, we definitely would have gotten a more realistic end, but at the same time, I don’t think that it would have been as memorable of an ending as right now.

Also, on a side-note: I love how the creators actually spent time in creating distinct character-designs for Mirai and her family throughout the years, rather than simply being lazy and just creating a bunch of mini-versions of their characters, like a lot of anime seem to do. Very nice.

Overall, Tokyo Magnitude, as amazing as it was, didn’t end up being my favourite series of 2009. Birdy the Mighty Decode in the end was better for me. It however has a good chance of showing up in my top 5 for this year, unless a lot of really good shows shows happen to air in the upcoming Autumn Season. But for now, let’s just assume that that won’t happen.
Rating: *** (Awesome)

1. Mike says:

At the beginning I too thought of the dead Yuki as Mirai’s hallucinations, but as the episodes goes on, and after this final episode, I can’t help but think he is more of a ghost/spirit than a hallucination.

And yes, this was a rather good ending as well, and I have to admit, a few scenes made me shed some manly tears :P

2. KamikazeSim says:

Manly tears came out for me too. Loved the conclusion as it was satisfying.

Earlier episodes, it didn’t really bother me that they killed off Yuuki but this episode made me feel for their whole family and now I wish he wasn’t killed off.

The creators did the ending right and now I am going to sleep because it is 5:20am where I am. WORTH STAYING UP FOR!

3. Smudgeous says:

A manly tear or two shed here, as well.

Overall, despite the few moments of the series where events seemed forced, I’m quite impressed with this show. It’s certainly in my top 3 shows of 2009, and the fact that it’s challenging Eden of the East for the #2 spot is quite impressive to me.

In any event, as soon as Frostii finishes subbing the series, I’ll be certain to rewatch the show with my roommate in tow. These quality anime titles need to have word spread, ya dig?

4. Tiago Sá says:

Indeed. Props for the conclusion. It’s a good ending, in the sense that it’s an ending, as opposed to stuff like Elfen Lied, for instance.

As for the ghost/hallucination thing, are hallucinations technically ghosts?

As for the manly tears, the tears were there, but they never went across my face… It’s emotional, for sure, but if you take a step back you realize it’s not really THAT uncommon or tragic. That’s life…

But well done, nonetheless.

5. fireryone says:

Being a 23 yo male I didn’t think this show would actually get a (manly) tear out of me, but it did……. amazing.

The Yuki ghost/hallucination didn’t bother me at all either, as they did it in a realistic enough way.

(if anyone didn’t find and eng sub a stream is on watchanimeon.com)

6. Paulo Guerreiro says:

A very good ending for a very good series. And a hello to Tiago Sá, whom I presume to be portuguese like me.

7. Tiago Sá says:

Indeed. Olá Paulo :)

8. Etrangere says:

I cried too, but I’m not a man, what does that make of my tears? Womanly or manly? Silly expression. :p

I was satisfied with this ending yeah. The show fostered very high expectation, and wasn’t quite up to meeting them but it only failed them by a little, with a couple of weak episodes in the middle and a bit too much pathos for pathos’ sake for my taste, but it was still a very good show, with great characterisation of Mirai, and one of the best of this season.

I like the fact we don’t know if Yuuki’s properly a hallucination or a ghost. That works better that way.

9. AlexS says:

So far my favorite of this year. Hope the next season can beat that, but I’m not holding my breath…

Muita portuguesada por aqui ^_^

10. Meep says:

I cried my EYES out. Tokyo Magnitude is the first anime in a long while that I rated a 10/10, that’s for sure.

I really loved this episode. Especially the part that showed Yuuki and Mirai’s past in flashbacks. Psgels you did an excellent job blogging T.M. as well as on your response in the final review. =]

11. ahbonk says:

Loved how they spent valuable time on ending the show, unlike many other anime series. Shed manly tears too, if u wanna call it that :P

12. Ken says:

Being an older sibling, growing up with a bratty but aloof little brother, having parents that were always too busy, and having experienced personal loss not far removed from Mirai’s, this show realistically hit home in a way that at the least, is incredibly rare in all media, let alone anime. I might have been projecting feelings onto the characters, but for a show to even allow that kind of empathy is amazing to me.

I liked that Yuuki faded after Mirai came home and met her mom. She’d seen the whole city in ruins, and seen death and despair the entire time, but once she saw her home in shambles and her mother bawling her eyes out, she couldn’t maintain the illusion any longer and the entirety of reality finally fell down on her like a bag of bricks. I took the illusion of Yuuki much less as the crazies or a guardian angel, and much more so the emotional need of an immature character dealing with monumental loss to survive and give herself reason to continue. I know that when you loose someone and feel hopeless despair, sometimes the only things that keep you going is thinking, “so-and-so would have wanted me to continue going.”

13. foamer says:

I liked the ending even though it was heart-breaking but now Mirai will become much stronger because of it. I also liked the ‘life goes on’ pictures of all the characters we saw before in the series, that was interesting.

14. Denizen says:

Manly tears were shed.

Awesome anime.

15. Polaryzed says:

I made the mistake of watching this at work at lunch time. I turned into a sobbing, blubbering fool. Thank kami-sama that almost everyone else was out to lunch.

I LOVED this series for most of the reasons already given here. I’d be thrilled if we could get a series like this once a season.

And sorry Psgels, but Birdy didn’t hold a candle to a series like this IMO. You have to hand it to a show that basically tells you how its gonna end before it actually does, nevertheless the viewer still gets an emotional punch in the stomach anyway. Fantastic.

16. m says:

The Yuuki ghost angle didn’t appeal to me at all, but it’s well beyond the point where I care; they could have tossed in a dragon or two, and it would still have averaged out to be a good story.

Mari’s contribution to the final episode was really brief, but they didn’t exactly have a lot of time to spend on her without subtracting from the sentimentality of Yuuki. Since the way they budgeted their time worked so well, I can’t complain.

I also thought it was a nice touch that they included snapshots of the other people they met while on their journey as well. Mirai’s mother even finally received a round birthday cake.

17. Ken says:

I’m not very familiar with Tokyo’s geography, but I looked on the show’s official website and they walked some order of 14 or so miles. Holy shit!

18. evolstar says:

Well I’m glad to see that I wasn’t the only one bawling my eyes out! I can’t remember the last time I’ve cried so much for an anime!

The ending was so satisifying for me. I loved how in the end we see that Yuuki was looking after her and made sure she got home. This series and Phantom are my favorites so far this year. Heck, this show is up there with my favorite series of all time.

19. meow says:

Guaranteed tear-jerker. I’m glad I was alone when I watched it. I had to stop the show around the part Yuuki told Maari he loved her to regain enough composure to continue. I cried again towards the end of the hospital scene, and then again when Mari was with Mirai in Yuuki’s room and THEN AGAIN when Mari gave their mom the belated birthday gift. It’s an awesome show….but I really don’t want to watch it again. XD Ah I think I need some Hayate or Sergeant Geroro or K-ON now. Anyway, when you’re letting your friends watch it, be sure to have some tissue handy.

20. dickens says:

Mari’s return in this episode reminded me of her existence. Why did she suddenly lose all interest in a delusional Mirai whose brother just died again? Did I miss something?

21. psgels psgels says:

dickens: what do you mean? didn’t episode 9 show that she had to take care of her grandmother because the hospital was understaffed? I suspected that even though she wanted to go, she had to take care of her family first.

22. Ves says:

The most emotional part for me was when Mirai finally met her mom… if it was me meeting my family after not knowing whether they’re alive for several days, I’d cry many rivers. Mirai’s mama seemed a bit too calm to me in the after-one-month part, but I guess one can also say she’s trying to be strong for Mirai.

@dickens: lol, I did wonder slightly about that too. But logically, she had no other relatives to rely on and has to look after her aging mom and young child, so it’d be weird to simply leave them aside to find Mirai. With other families trying to cope with the disaster too, it might seem kind of rude to throw the responsibility to Mari’s neighbours or friends ;)

23. dickens says:

I realize that, but as Mari, here you have this girl you’ve been helping, whose brother died and now has gone asylum-insane seeing his ghost wandering around Tokyo alone….I dunno, I just didn’t expect her to just be written out of the show until the reunion in this episode. Seems kind of weak.

There was some good writing in this episode. Overall it was a decent finish, and I really think if they had avoided the cliches plaguing the last few episodes, this series could have been a classic.

24. Snowolf says:

I don’t think I’ve bawled over something like this ever. I was crying my heart out, and that’s something worth praising for as I’m usually very stoic and critical.

Tokyo Magnitude? Thanks for being there. This is one of reasons why anime are so good. It was an unbelievable, strong, sweet and sad ending which was totally worth the wait. 12/10 for me on this one.

25. John says:

I’ve never cried so much watching a film or TV show… in fact I reckon this is the most I’ve ever cried. It was a good series but I don’t ever want to watch it again. Too depressing. Poor Yuuki :-‘(

26. Android18a says:

I think this is the first anime which ever truly made me cry. I’d just about held it together before now, but episode 11 just did me in. The entire second half of the episode was viewed past streams of tears.

How can a fictional story affect our emotions so much? I think the creators of this anime did a wonderful job of bringing out the human elements of the characters.

I loved this series so much. I think I might have to recover a bit before I can watch it through again though.

Part of me was really, really hoping it was all just a dream.

27. Jordan says:

My only question is WHEN in the timeline did Yuki die? I’ve been trying to figure it out.. some say during the Tokyo Tower incident and some say around episode 9.

28. Sacchi says:

Skip to 0:33. That’s when he starts to die. He basically dies in episode 8/9.

29. shogun22 says:

I felt the hallucination (more like a ghost aparition) was a bit out of place in a series that was mostly realsitic. Episode 11 felt like a supernatural-drama.
    But overall it was a good series.

30. Brad says:

Excellent series. Some of the melodrama feels forced at times, but despite that it still works – probably because of the believability of it all. Mirai and Mari are great characters that are very easy to care about, while Yuki is really just a plot device… but for a series as short as this one, I don’t think Yuki’s character could have been done any differently without lessening the emotional impact of the story. The sense of loss is palpable, and I cried. OK, I bawled. A lot.

I wish more anime series were like this.

31. tazman0208 says:

A real tearjerker this episode was and more than a “few” manly tears were shed, Especially the little montage of different scenes in the life of the Onozawa family. This was a great ending to a great series.

32. Lue says:

Indeed the suspense was not lost on me. I cried like a pussy. There was nothing manly about my tears. This show had me by the balls and took no prisoners.

33. Soaks says:

Regarding the whole ghost thing, it reminded me of a (true) story my father had once shared with us.

It was that of a boy who apparently drowned in a river here in town because of a raging storm. The next day, the boy, supposedly dead, managed to show up in school wearing muddy rain boots, and even spent the entire day like normal. It wasn’t until a few days later that the school received news of the boy’s death. When his father learned how his son, after dying, still managed to “go” to school, he cried hard enough to destroy a dam, subliminally thinking why his son hadn’t shown himself to his family instead.

That story makes me believe that Yuuki is in fact showing himself as a ghost and Mirai isn’t exactly hallucinating – at least, not fully since ghosts can technically be hallucinations as well. Plus it’s understandable if Mirai is withdrawing in denial. So I guess it’s half-half, though I’m leaning more on the ghost side, personally. It’s just that, saying ‘hallucinations’ denotes that Mirai has lost her mind and is merely talking to herself, as opposed to actually speaking with Yuuki’s ghost – his consciousness. Supernatural doesn’t necessarily translate to unrealistic, in this case. I really hate making a point using the term ‘realistic,’ but it’s believable enough. Just nitpicking.

Finally, I was a bit drowsy while watching the show (I’m almost a year late, I know) and had half-expected it to end all happy with no one dying (at least in the main cast). I’m glad I was wrong, and I’m satisfied with how it all turned out.

Gonna be a while before I move on from this. I need to watch something lighthearted and funny.

34. Cookies says:

I love this show but i really hate how they killed yuuki. Why didnt they kill mirai instead!!!! Cried alot too. But ugh stupid producers had to kill yuuki.. He was my favorite character.. Booo!!

35. starblacks says:

I have never ever ever cried for anything fictional, but i couldn’t stop my tears the whole last episode. Thank you Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, for giving me belief again that anime can be truely moving.

36. Not buthurt that Yuuki died says:

So I just marthoned this show, and took a look at the comments for the last few episodes, and really the only reason why people actually started not liking the show was because they were really upset at Yuki Dying, even going gas far to say stupid shit like “people don’t hallucinate dead people” uh. . yeah they do (having had experience with a family member who did the same thing). One thing I really like, was the scene in yuuki;s classroom. where it had the Kanji on the board.

The Kanji on the board was: ”未来” Meaning “Future” the thing that got me about that scene was that the pronunciation is “MIRAI” (the main character’s name) and the way it was posted on the board multiple times (usually its done once by each student for Kanji/caligaraphy learning/writing practice) was really powerful. I was imagining that the proliferation of her name on that board was like a message being constantly pinged to Mirai. . .

The whole Yuuki issues and mirai seeing yuuki after he died is not something that can be criticized on since, that stuff DOES HAPPEN (people seeing dead loved ones etc etc) so its not a big stretch that mirai went through all of that too, being that she’s 13(first year junior high student), saw all of those horrific images during the show, and experienced a lot of shock-worthy things.

The ONLY thing that would be a valid point of criticism, was that Tokyo wasn’t Damaged more than they portrayed. . .they Kinda got around it by saying that Naka-Meguro was really hit hard; which is be accurate as that area is a deathtrap if an earthquake hit. . .I used to live in Naka-Meguro for a year and a half and in Tokyo for Five years, so I know what I’m talking about (recently moved back a couple weeks ago. . .I also lived in Ventral Tokyo during the 9.0 quake that hit Tohoku)

but yeah, being that I know the city like the back of my hand if an 8.0 earthquake hit Tokyo in Tokyo bay, at a depth of only 25km. . . .

The death toll would be in the millions. . .MILLIONS!

They did address subtly though the fact that the media will NOT actually tell you how bad conditions/damage are in a crisis. During the Fukushima incident, the government and news were saying that Tokyo was safe during the 2-3 days the fukushima cloud wafted over Tokyo when the winds changed, I assure you it was not . . .I knew people in the U.S. Military who told me to evacuate since they took their own separate readings of the radiation, the french tracked and confirmed this. so I had to go down to Osaka for about two weeks before I was sure everything was alright. none of that stuff was told to anyone on the news or radio.

but yeah an earthquake of that strength hitting Tokyo bay like that, would WIPE OUT that city. . . .

Also the aftershocks. There would be CONSTANT, STRONG after shocks like 6-7+ intensity for MONTHS on End! (There are still aftershocks from the Tohoku quake occurring almost two years after!) I know they toned that down for the sake of the story, as realistically Odaiba WOULD sink and the kids would most likely be dead in the first 20-30 minutes of the show. . . but then there wouldn’t be a show! So I have to give a pass on that. (the aftershocks would most likely kill and damage many more times more than the initial quake.)

anyway those are the ONLY sources of criticism that really can be pointed at this show without said criticizer sounding like a retard for being butthurt their character died and not knowing what they’re talking about.

Oh wait, one more. . .Tokyo Tower falling down, yeah that scene should have killed those kids. Tokyo tower is HUUUUUGE! everyone in that park could have died if Tokyo tower really fell on it, It’s THAT big

Alright. Personally, I am pumped for Megalo Box's finale. I am so glad I was right in what Yuri did. It was great at building it up. Heres hoping it doesnt throw it away next week
Like that's what really annoys me about Evangelion fans. The way they talk about the show, they assume that Anno was completely aware of the impact the series would have from the start and planned every intricate detail to perfection regardless of importance. But that's not just untrue by opinion, but is objectively proven untrue.
@Amagi, There are some legitimate complaints like the audio Muxing not being great. But I hear stuff like the original character in the first season being SO much deeper and think "What?". If it's one thing that really annoys me, it's when people start talking about a show like it's a planned masterpiece.
Risky move there by Yuri in megalobox ep12.
Sometimes the voice acting isn't good in both versions, Elfen lied and the original flcl didn't have great voice acting either in English or Japanese.
I got into the habit some years ago of watching most anime with dual audio because I used to do short reviews once upon a time and switching back and forth between subs and dub while marathoning a show gave me best of both and I could talk about both the English and Japanese versions when reviewing.
I usually don't even watch dubs but considering that there is no other option here (yet) I did it and think it's pretty good, especially Haruko.
@Aidan: Was thinking the exact same thing about FLCL. I fail to see how the original is much different than the sequel. For me it's pretty much the same thing - they tried to keep the style but change the frame to avoid copying it 100%. I enjoy the new series and love the characters.
Dubs pretty good. Watched it dubbed myself.
Probably a good thing then that I haven't seen the original in a long time then, which I thought was alright but got better as it went along. How is the dub? Only the dub is out as far as I looked on Nyaatorrents.
Alright, finished the 3 episodes out. I enjoyed it. It was a fun watch. But I gotta say that the reaction online is rather annoying. I see the original series getting placed on a higher and higher pedestal. Part of the reason I may be enjoying this series is because I didn't examine the previous series under a mircoscope and pretty much acknowledge that it was just a animators showcase.
@Aidan: Probably not as GREAT as Onizuka though.
So I started watching the new FLCL and let me say that this new teacher is the greatest teacher I have ever seen.
Don't think it's on Netflix. Though I think that Stardust crusaders is airing dubbed.
Is this series on Netflix? It was always one of the few anime that were very popular in the West while still airing weekly and with subs (and despite the fact that we didn't even have the manga in the West)
Man that's awesome. Also I have to admit that part 6 is probably my favorite so it's great to know that they'll most likely animate everything.
What the hell
JoJo's part 5 anime announced and it's about goddamn time.
Id agree to that. Im mostly interested in where it goes after what looked like a pretty final ending. Im guessing timeskip of some kind, or World Line switch
I didn't think any of the drama in this episode rung false.
Pretty satisfied with steins;gate this week, kept things moving and the stilted style of the show didn't get in as much the way of the setpiece that was in this episode.
I'm quite surprised by how I've gotten over a 100 chapters in and Asirpa hasn't been fanserviced explicitly.
HH Holmes had a death hotel actually.
Actually I think one of the criminals was based on a real person.
The author really likes referencing real people to, Bonnie and Clyde , Ed Gein, some American agriculturist and the inventor of some refile .
Its very true that golden kamuy does get goofier and thats true for the manga also, though theres a prisoner weirder than the one in episode 11 he does advance the plot further. One of the soldiers gets some backstory too. Sometimes the goofiness works but at others doesn't.
I'm watching the new FLCL and planning to review it once it's done. Maybe.
In my quest and love of historical manga I wound up running into this, these guys are translating it over at their site: https://blog.manga.club/blog/mangaclub-blog-vol-10-jose-rizal-serialization/
Not yet, no. Plannin on it this weekend
There are three episodes of the new flcl out. I haven't seen it yet and its been ages since I saw the original, has anyone watched any of the new series?
I can understand that. Anything less than a 3 I often dont finish/deem worthy even being talked about. In anime or movies.
Its too hard to give 1/5s or 2/5s.
Despite my complaints I gave it a 3/5.
....feck sorry about that. I didn't think anyone else on here would have been interested =< Thanks for removing it.
Come on Kaiser, even if I didn't get anything out of it doesn't mean that other people won't. Best not to put a big spoiler on the front page of the site.
Just deleting a spoiler there.
That production company tend to do quite poor trailers that misrepresent their films.
I would probably punch someone for laughing/talking during a horror film though.
Babadook did the grief horror better. Though honestly my favourite horrors this year weren't American ones.
Upgrade might end up being more fun, which is an action horror comedy.
@Aidan: While terribly schmalzy and lacking a proper ending, quiet place had a better idea and atmosphere.
@Aidan: In the end it just felt like comparisons to Rosemary's baby and the Exorcist hurt the film. I just thought it was an awkward mix of commercial and indie horror. Like a lesser version of the conjuring.
@Aidan: I didn't laugh but I also couldn't really feel it/connect with it.
@Aidan: I also disliked how it answered its questions and story rather than leaving stuff unexplained and the actual exposition in the last act was quite awkward.
@Aidan: I saw it on Thursday, it doesn't live up to the witch or even it comes at night. On one hand I appreciate limiting the jumpscares and gore, going more for atmosphere and character drama. Toni Collette and Gabriel Byrne kind of hold it together for me. But the two kids, like in most horror films were awful.
Just seen Hereditary. The so called scariest film since The Exorcist.
So scary that people in the cinema were laughing.
I've been playing Hollow Knight on Switch. It's perhaps the longest metroidvania game I've ever played. The game has a nonlinear progression with a lot of optional areas, which add wonder to the somber and mysterious tone of the game.
I also like how much Nagai overstylizes, overdesigns his characters.
Not that its abandoned its comedic elements.
@Sash: The twin tailed girl got impaled and its gone in a somewhat darker direction yes.
Sash
apparently cutie honey is getting devilman vibes.. haven't watched it though so take this with a grain of salt
@Lenlo: Somewhere in my head is an image of Baraka from mortal combat in the same picture as Himiko Toga.
Hero Aca, still my favorite Shounen.
Just got the Re:zero Blu-ray a whole ten days before it's officially released. Gotta be the first to see the dub.
Yeah. Her whole scene was terrible. As much as I loved Maho in a pando costume, it should have stopped there. We didnt need the groping.
FERRIS NYAN-NYAN OmO kill it, kill it with muh-fire, kill it with muh-fire.
Also, Megalobox, hot damn. I love it. I love it all. Mmmm I cant wait.
Partly, yeah. Im mid writeup for it. Suffice to say the fan-service was... alittle awkward to me
Filler episode of Steins; gate this week.
I cant wait to see it, ive heard good things
Damn I love Megalobox so much it's my favorite series this season.
I can't wear a suit to work everyday
*wotaku's
You are now aware that you un-intentionally stealth cosplay as watoki's protagonist each time you go to work.
Pretty sure Psgels is paying to keep the site up but it's not a sum that one would consider significant. Site is dirt cheap.
I've thought about using MPC as an extra player, while mainly using vlc, but vlc can be buggy for me sometimes in that it lags and pixelates the video often , I've used MPC on videos that vlc bugs-out on and they work better.
Out of curiosity, what videoplayer (example media player, realplayer, winamp, vlc, mediaplayer classic)do all of you use for watching anime?
You silly old people
lol how do you think I feel, I've been at this for 20 years =P
All these "confessions" just underline how old we all are; and still keep on that stupid hobby after all those years :))
I first visited the site around 2009, 2010 but was pretty much a lurker until I started writing for the site.
As far as I know, psgels gave the admin privilege for K-Off and Aidan, and it's K-Off who pays for the site now (other admins pls confirm)
Of course I have no idea how much it costs to keep the blog up, he could always end up stopping paying for it if he needed to cut costs.
I'm actually curious in estimating how much longer the blog has left. Obviously psgels must be still paying to keep the site up, but he is, of course only mortal.
The blog began in 2005, but I started reading it in 2009, began posting on the chatbox in 2010.
I wonder which weekly review was the first one I've read on psgels. I remember .hack//roots but not sure if it was the first one. Could very well be the case, though.
Nevermind, despite being an old as shit reader I never actually read the whole text of the about-part.
How old is this blog anyway? I am a regular reader since 2006 or something although it was only recently that I started talking here.
Oh I know all about that Kaiser. It was amazing to read about
Raggers
Wow, this is still going? Good on you guys
*wiki article
@Lenlo: Read the cultural impact of the original ashita no Joe on the youtube article, Japanese actually mass mourned him
Some writers just know how to get an un-explainably effective rhythm going.
I always struggle with commenting/reviewing mood pieces and slice of life mood pieces especially, even when I finish something in the genre sometimes I'll go "I don't understand why this worked so well for me, why wasn't it boring?"
Anonymous2194677
Microsot E3 Press Conference was nuts, they showed too many games.
Hey guys, I made/edited my very first video about a show I greatly love, hope you'll give it a watch too:

Yeah, and an NES prequel to Bloodstained Ritual of the Night launched a couple of weeks ago. And while easier than NES castlevanias it's quite fun. Also very cheap only $10.
Alas, I've not kept up much with the videogame scene in a number of years. I know there's a spiritual successor to castlevania being made though.
Sorry Nightmare Creatures its what it's called.
Actually come to think of it, the 64 games probably had more vampires than the others I played.
Have you played the game that inspired this Castlevania? Deadly Creatures?
Never did get round to playing as Henry though.
I remember the garden stage being especially frustrating as Schneider because of how slow he moved.
Also that game demands you to play on normal or higher to play beyond that nitro stage.
I remember having to finish the game in a day because I was saddled with constantly rubbish memory cards for my N64.
Sorry, I post fast and long so some of what I say probably might get missed/skimmed over.
Actually I did mention it, called it the nitro stage.
Still I think despite the flaws it's has become fun for me because I surprisingly get better each time I play it. and last time I make the game chug because of how fast I was progressing.
Yeah. But I'm surprised you don't mention the worst part. The Nitro and Mandragora level. In which you have to go across several rooms without jumping.
@Anon: I remember the game punishes you for using the item seller guy too much aswell.
I remember the mansion level being creepy back then.
But the werewolf thing was pretty rad.
And then there was that crumbling labyrinth stage. I remember on hard mode you have to fight the chainsaw gardener too.
The art tower stage is also annoying if you run out of day/night cards.
Also it wouldn't let you finish it properly if you took too long.
@Anon: The N64 castlevanias have so many flaws, weird controls , bad camera , the day and night feature is kind of cool but it also puts a timer on things and certain parts become a pain because of it. They had frustrating bits too like the ice castle part with the weird jump sections and the nitro carrying stage.
Lords of Shadow was another IP the developer had to accomodate into a known IP kinda like Star Fox Adventures.
The other Castlevanias I haven't played are Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness. LoS was ok but very long. and it's interquel Mirror of Fate put me off playing LoS2.
I haven't played that one. Seems like a mixed bag. Like Zelda 2 or Metroid 2.
I've seen playthroughs of simon's quest, but we all know why thats a notorious mess.
Castlevania 64 and Legacy of Darkness are also my guilty pleasures. I think if Konami still made Castlevanias it would have tried aping the Souls type of gameplay.
I remember some very very silly voice acting and dialogue in symphony of the night.
I preferred when they were just platform games. Later ones incoperated level up elements if I recall.
After SOTN I think the game coming closer to that greatness is Order of Ecclesia if anything it keeps the difficulty of the classic Castlevanias and puts it in the Metroidvania formula. It has a platforming challenge level that's very satisfying to play.
I've played most of them. Castlevania 3 is a very tough game, but that also makes the journey feel long and rewarding. Rondo of Blood feels like the cornerstone of the series since it's the Castlevania that got most of it's sprite reused in later games.
Reminds me, the game, clocktower is vaguely inspired by an old Italian horror film.
And symphony of the night.
I actually feel I should have played more castlevania back in the day, I've played bloodlines, castlevania 4, Dracula X, legacy of darkness, admittedly the last one isn't a good game and is more of a guilty pleasure.
They could still meet Grant in the Clocktower.
I wonder if the second season will be the journey to the castle like in the game. And the third season is entirely in the castle.
Already a season 3 announced.
Oh god yes. I cant wait
New netflix castlevania episodes out next month.
Was going to mention that. Wish more shows would do o.
Yeah, a lot of plot threads are converging and I like it. My favorite part though was Iglesias and their commitment to non-japanese languages. They were good!
*his bit
@Lenlo: Glad that sachio gets hit bit of backstory and that its well connected to the rest of the overall plot.
Alright Megalo Box was pretty good this week. So much to say
Indeed the Alliance system is atypical of mass democracy. There seem to be no organised parties and lists. Instead administrations seem to be formed on a personalist basis(me and my chums). And the Assembly seems to have very weak powers of oversight. A very flawed institutionally system. But I digress . It is still anime and even from Tanaka I do not expect deep discussion of democratic politics
I mean if two of 9 ministers in an administration resigned in any current representative/competitive election system it would be a big news and embarrassment to the goverment. My guess is that they were blackmailed to stay on, or were too afraid of the war party.
busy weeks (finals and deadlines). Watched the latest LOGH:NT episode. It was ok. A bit dry, but so are many of the episodes of NT or the Original on their own. One think it led me to think is that neither the books , nor the OVA, nor NT explain why Rebelo/Lebello and Huang Rui (the two politicians opposed to the Invasion of the Empire) did not resign in opposition. (Turnhit also opposed but..)
I think its cause of Daru's voice. Hes so overt about it and his voice makes it so clear hes not really being serious about any of that, cause it completely changes when hes talking serious subjects
@Kaiser: Yeah I am watching CCS but funny enough I fell behind too, so it might be someone else you're thinking of
Always felt that Daru strikes a hit when it comes to pervy/otaku characters. Most of them tend to be incredibly annoying.
This episode was nice and chill while still moving stuff forward. I enjoyed it. It does seem like we are hitting the main conflict though, with Amadeus and Maho
@Lenlo: I feel with this episode the plot is really moving along now.
@Kaiser, Thats the question aint it? How to savem both? We know he does, cause of the original, but alot happens along the way. Its a great ride
Bad light novels would make for good fire and burning material =)
@Amagi: I think it was you who was keeping up with the new cardcaptor sakura? or may that was bokusenou? I fell behind in it.
Given Japan is often thought to be a racist society.
I suppose though its saying something though, about them dropping that LN author for racism , its probably, considering its Japan, progressive that they called him out for his racisim.
Angel cop's Japanese version I think had some rant about Judaisim in its last episode too I think.
Honestly I try not to seek out stories about how awful certain creators are if I can.
Viz decided not to run Kenshin's followup/side story manga. But oddly they decided to keep going with toriko even though toriko's author also got in trouble for pedophilic charges.
Looking at that Isekai anime I say we we saved from something truly terrible. Though I find it odd that it was dropped because the author was a racist not because of it well...being goddamn terrible.
@Amagi: I watched a random episode, laughed more than I should have.
btw Is anyone besides me watching Tiramisu? Am I the only one that finds this shit funny?
@Amagi: I'd only read the ANN article title and decided I wouldn't entertain the comments by reading on.
@Lenlo: How do I save them both @steins;gate, how do I save both Kurisu AND mayuri, this is hurting me ;o;
I am just reading what he liked on twitter and said (seems to be the director), what the hell

Golden Kamuy – 11 [Everybody, Get Together! It’s a Murder Hotel!]

Welcome to Bates hotel!! Alright, make no mistake, this is the funniest episode of Golden Kamuy we will ever have. Still dark, have very little to do with the main plot, but it’s spooky fun. Even trashy fun with all the dick jokes. This is Golden Kamuy at its loosest shape. Which is not a […]

Hisone to Masotan – 10 [Melting in Love]

Pretty visual aside, I wonder how much fuel left for this aircraft before it runs out of ideas. HisoMaso has never been a show with detailed world building, or even thick plot to begin with, and as the usual case for me, nothing much happened in this episode. The biggest plot point of this week […]

Hinamatsuri – 11 [A Man Thirsty for Blood, Violence and Money]

The theme of this week is the kind hearts of our cast, and we have 2 parts that take the idea and go into different directions. Remember when I mentioned before how Hinamatsuri would be if Anzu takes Hina’s place? That’s exactly the idea behind the second half. I’m glad that Nitta has some major […]

Darling in the Franxx – 21[For You, My Love]

Huh…wasn’t expecting that to be resolved so quickly. So as predicted Zero Two makes it to Darling and as predicted they power up and drive off the aliens. Also as predicted Zero is is now dead…or dying…or in a coma…or in some state that leaves her dead eyes by episodes end. I admit to be […]

Megalo Box – 11 [A Deadmarch]

Incredible Megalo Box… Simply incredible. This week was perfect in every way but one, and at this point that one is easily overlooked. Let’s skip this preamble and jump right in! Megalo Box had a lot going on this week as we see the culmination of a lot of characters big arcs. Starting off, lets […]

Steins;Gate 0 – 10 [Pandora of Provable Existence -Forbidden Cubicle-]

Welcome one and all to another week of Steins;Gate 0! This week we have fluffy, lovable dates, awkward fan service and terrible revelations. Lets jump in! So overall this week felt mostly like a filler episode. I understand that some of the contents were necessary for relationship building and such. That it was a sort […]

Golden Kamuy – 10 [Fellow Traveler]

New episode, new season, new plan, new scenery and possible new set of enemy too. Considered Golden Kamuy’s track record, I won’t be surprised if the new face Kiroranke, at the risk of Asirpa slaps me on my face for saying so. He’s in the interesting position in all this, both an ex-7th Unit Hokkaido, […]

Darling in the Franxx – 20[A New World]

Suddenly, Aliens. If you are surprised by this sudden plot twist then I am guessing you are new to Trigger works. For in some form or another space gets involved. Indeed this is fairly reminiscent of Kill la Kill or Gurren Laggan and I will toot my own horn about somewhat anticipating it. I at […]

Hisone to Masotan – 09 [Eeeek!]

After a pretty excellent episode last week, HisoMaso goes into the direction I’m afraid the most: exploring the romance aspect that by all means we don’t really need in the first place. And they frame it in a manner I cannot get behind. Lets see, due to these girls develop a certain feeling, they intoxicate […]

Fate/Stay Night Heaven’s Feel – I Prestige Flower Anime Review – 90/100

We have seen an influx of Fate adaptations over the last year and sadly each has proven to be disappointing except for a cooking slice of life short series which is weirdly better than it has any right to be. This movie was the last of the Fate adaptations that I needed to see but […]

Violet Evergarden (2018 Winter) Review – 76/100

Violet Evergarden’s existence has surely been a public one. Acclaimed before everyone lick a taste of it (it was awarded for grand prize in the fifth Kyoto Animation Award’s novel category in 2014 – read, KyoAni awards), it goes without saying that Violet Evergarden is one of the most anticipated show of the sparse Winter […]

A Place Further than the Universe (Winter 2018) Review – 77/100

Cute girls doing cute things is a genre that been done to death at this point. Even within this Winter 2018 we had been overloaded with big eyes fluffy face girls doing a lot of different things of interest. It takes a standout concept or a deeper narrative to make one stand out from this […]

After the Rain (2018 Winter) Review – 89/100

I suppose that most of us, even the perministic ones, enter After the Rain (Ameagari) with some reservations. After all, the premise about a crush from an 18-year-old girl to the store manager who is nearly 30 years senior raises a lot of red flags here. Yet the show handles this tricky premise with deep […]

Kokkoku – 42.5/100

There are lots of bad anime out there, for one reason or another. Whether it be stilted animation, terrible writing or bad direction, a good portion of each season is simply not worth it. Kokkoku is not a bad anime. It is something much worse. Kokkoku is a mediocre anime. Bad ones get talked about, […]

Junji Ito Collection Anime Review – 40/100

In the realm of manga there is a man whose name is inescapable when the genre of horror is brought up. That man is Junji Ito and his work is considered legendary for its artistic detail, mastery of manga paneling and it’s outlandish imaginative concepts. Up till now his work has yet to have an […]

Yuru Camp (Winter 2018) Review – 74/100

I admit that I underestimated Yuru Camp back in its first few episodes. I took it as a standard, run-on-the-mill slice of life show and I fully expected to give it 3 episodes at max before throwing it into the deep sea of forgotten anime. But as time pass, I can certainly see many good […]

Neo Yokio – 96/100

This may be half a year overdue but I simply can’t accept that none of the writing staff of Star Crossed Anime have cover the the biggest development in anime where Netflix took a hand in producing anime in the form of Neo Yokio. Taking place in the metropolis of Neo Yokio, a mashup between […]

Devilman Crybaby – 83/100

It’s an exciting time to be an anime fan where new business models and players are making big waves within the animation industry. After debuting with the original and excellently-produced Neo Yokio, the juggernaut streaming service of Netflix has decided to revive the classic series of Devilman and gives it the full adaption treatment. By […]