Posted by psgels on 18 September 2009 with categories: Tokyo Magnitude 8.0

Haha! Another show with a very satisfying ending. This episode was bittersweet, and I think that everyone who managed to keep his/her suspense of disbelief is going to find it an excellent conclusion. In this episode, Mirai comes to terms with what happened to Yuki, she meets her parents, and attempts to continue her life. While most conclusions in anime are a bit lackluster, this episode was in no way inferior to the rest of this amazing series.

But damn, I don’t think that I’ve ever had such a heated discussion going on as for the past few episodes. Personally though, I wasn’t bothered by Mirai’s hallucinations. Instead, I just see this series as fiction, with a very high degree of believability. For me, there were only three points that seemed forced: Mari who just happened to run into her co-worker as she collapsed, the point where Mirai was trying to save the trapped robot and nearly died herself, and the point at which Tokyo Tower nearly collapsed on Mirai but Yuki managed to save her. Nevertheless, in any other show this would just be anal nitpicking.

Thinking back though, the whole Yuki vs. Mirai relationship seems to be much deeper than I originally thought. I mean, we all thought that this would be a series in which the initially bratty Mirai would grow up and take care of her brother. However, this happened already in the second episode. After that, these whole themes reversed, and it was actually Yuki who took care of Mirai; it could be seen as his way to repay Mirai for saving him, he kept her out of danger, he saved her from the Tokyo Tower and the accident with the falling robot. He was the one who tried to cheer her up when she was feeling down.

And even when he died, his hallucination continued this trend: he safely guided her back home, and slowly tried to make her understand that he died. The question remains of course, what the real intention from the creators was. Was the Yuki meant to be taken as symbolism, something like a guardian angel, or did Mirai subconsciously create something that would guide her back home safely until she would be out of danger? Are those options realistic? Nah, not really. Are they believable? For me, they are.

It’s always a bit of a gamble for a series to go into a different direction. The first half of this series was clearly different from the second, as this series changed from a detailed look at how a major city reacts after being hit by a major earthquake, to a character-study of Mirai. In my opinion, these changes can work as long as the new direction has enough to offer, which was definitely the case with this series for me. It was a nice gamble in any case: if the creators would just have continued with the same direction as the first half, we definitely would have gotten a more realistic end, but at the same time, I don’t think that it would have been as memorable of an ending as right now.

Also, on a side-note: I love how the creators actually spent time in creating distinct character-designs for Mirai and her family throughout the years, rather than simply being lazy and just creating a bunch of mini-versions of their characters, like a lot of anime seem to do. Very nice.

Overall, Tokyo Magnitude, as amazing as it was, didn’t end up being my favourite series of 2009. Birdy the Mighty Decode in the end was better for me. It however has a good chance of showing up in my top 5 for this year, unless a lot of really good shows shows happen to air in the upcoming Autumn Season. But for now, let’s just assume that that won’t happen.
Rating: *** (Awesome)

1. Mike says:

At the beginning I too thought of the dead Yuki as Mirai’s hallucinations, but as the episodes goes on, and after this final episode, I can’t help but think he is more of a ghost/spirit than a hallucination.

And yes, this was a rather good ending as well, and I have to admit, a few scenes made me shed some manly tears :P

2. KamikazeSim says:

Manly tears came out for me too. Loved the conclusion as it was satisfying.

Earlier episodes, it didn’t really bother me that they killed off Yuuki but this episode made me feel for their whole family and now I wish he wasn’t killed off.

The creators did the ending right and now I am going to sleep because it is 5:20am where I am. WORTH STAYING UP FOR!

3. Smudgeous says:

A manly tear or two shed here, as well.

Overall, despite the few moments of the series where events seemed forced, I’m quite impressed with this show. It’s certainly in my top 3 shows of 2009, and the fact that it’s challenging Eden of the East for the #2 spot is quite impressive to me.

In any event, as soon as Frostii finishes subbing the series, I’ll be certain to rewatch the show with my roommate in tow. These quality anime titles need to have word spread, ya dig?

4. Tiago Sá says:

Indeed. Props for the conclusion. It’s a good ending, in the sense that it’s an ending, as opposed to stuff like Elfen Lied, for instance.

As for the ghost/hallucination thing, are hallucinations technically ghosts?

As for the manly tears, the tears were there, but they never went across my face… It’s emotional, for sure, but if you take a step back you realize it’s not really THAT uncommon or tragic. That’s life…

But well done, nonetheless.

5. fireryone says:

Being a 23 yo male I didn’t think this show would actually get a (manly) tear out of me, but it did……. amazing.

The Yuki ghost/hallucination didn’t bother me at all either, as they did it in a realistic enough way.

(if anyone didn’t find and eng sub a stream is on watchanimeon.com)

6. Paulo Guerreiro says:

A very good ending for a very good series. And a hello to Tiago Sá, whom I presume to be portuguese like me.

7. Tiago Sá says:

Indeed. Olá Paulo :)

8. Etrangere says:

I cried too, but I’m not a man, what does that make of my tears? Womanly or manly? Silly expression. :p

I was satisfied with this ending yeah. The show fostered very high expectation, and wasn’t quite up to meeting them but it only failed them by a little, with a couple of weak episodes in the middle and a bit too much pathos for pathos’ sake for my taste, but it was still a very good show, with great characterisation of Mirai, and one of the best of this season.

I like the fact we don’t know if Yuuki’s properly a hallucination or a ghost. That works better that way.

9. AlexS says:

So far my favorite of this year. Hope the next season can beat that, but I’m not holding my breath…

Muita portuguesada por aqui ^_^

10. Meep says:

I cried my EYES out. Tokyo Magnitude is the first anime in a long while that I rated a 10/10, that’s for sure.

I really loved this episode. Especially the part that showed Yuuki and Mirai’s past in flashbacks. Psgels you did an excellent job blogging T.M. as well as on your response in the final review. =]

11. ahbonk says:

Loved how they spent valuable time on ending the show, unlike many other anime series. Shed manly tears too, if u wanna call it that :P

12. Ken says:

Being an older sibling, growing up with a bratty but aloof little brother, having parents that were always too busy, and having experienced personal loss not far removed from Mirai’s, this show realistically hit home in a way that at the least, is incredibly rare in all media, let alone anime. I might have been projecting feelings onto the characters, but for a show to even allow that kind of empathy is amazing to me.

I liked that Yuuki faded after Mirai came home and met her mom. She’d seen the whole city in ruins, and seen death and despair the entire time, but once she saw her home in shambles and her mother bawling her eyes out, she couldn’t maintain the illusion any longer and the entirety of reality finally fell down on her like a bag of bricks. I took the illusion of Yuuki much less as the crazies or a guardian angel, and much more so the emotional need of an immature character dealing with monumental loss to survive and give herself reason to continue. I know that when you loose someone and feel hopeless despair, sometimes the only things that keep you going is thinking, “so-and-so would have wanted me to continue going.”

13. foamer says:

I liked the ending even though it was heart-breaking but now Mirai will become much stronger because of it. I also liked the ‘life goes on’ pictures of all the characters we saw before in the series, that was interesting.

14. Denizen says:

Manly tears were shed.

Awesome anime.

15. Polaryzed says:

I made the mistake of watching this at work at lunch time. I turned into a sobbing, blubbering fool. Thank kami-sama that almost everyone else was out to lunch.

I LOVED this series for most of the reasons already given here. I’d be thrilled if we could get a series like this once a season.

And sorry Psgels, but Birdy didn’t hold a candle to a series like this IMO. You have to hand it to a show that basically tells you how its gonna end before it actually does, nevertheless the viewer still gets an emotional punch in the stomach anyway. Fantastic.

16. m says:

The Yuuki ghost angle didn’t appeal to me at all, but it’s well beyond the point where I care; they could have tossed in a dragon or two, and it would still have averaged out to be a good story.

Mari’s contribution to the final episode was really brief, but they didn’t exactly have a lot of time to spend on her without subtracting from the sentimentality of Yuuki. Since the way they budgeted their time worked so well, I can’t complain.

I also thought it was a nice touch that they included snapshots of the other people they met while on their journey as well. Mirai’s mother even finally received a round birthday cake.

17. Ken says:

I’m not very familiar with Tokyo’s geography, but I looked on the show’s official website and they walked some order of 14 or so miles. Holy shit!

18. evolstar says:

Well I’m glad to see that I wasn’t the only one bawling my eyes out! I can’t remember the last time I’ve cried so much for an anime!

The ending was so satisifying for me. I loved how in the end we see that Yuuki was looking after her and made sure she got home. This series and Phantom are my favorites so far this year. Heck, this show is up there with my favorite series of all time.

19. meow says:

Guaranteed tear-jerker. I’m glad I was alone when I watched it. I had to stop the show around the part Yuuki told Maari he loved her to regain enough composure to continue. I cried again towards the end of the hospital scene, and then again when Mari was with Mirai in Yuuki’s room and THEN AGAIN when Mari gave their mom the belated birthday gift. It’s an awesome show….but I really don’t want to watch it again. XD Ah I think I need some Hayate or Sergeant Geroro or K-ON now. Anyway, when you’re letting your friends watch it, be sure to have some tissue handy.

20. dickens says:

Mari’s return in this episode reminded me of her existence. Why did she suddenly lose all interest in a delusional Mirai whose brother just died again? Did I miss something?

21. psgels psgels says:

dickens: what do you mean? didn’t episode 9 show that she had to take care of her grandmother because the hospital was understaffed? I suspected that even though she wanted to go, she had to take care of her family first.

22. Ves says:

The most emotional part for me was when Mirai finally met her mom… if it was me meeting my family after not knowing whether they’re alive for several days, I’d cry many rivers. Mirai’s mama seemed a bit too calm to me in the after-one-month part, but I guess one can also say she’s trying to be strong for Mirai.

@dickens: lol, I did wonder slightly about that too. But logically, she had no other relatives to rely on and has to look after her aging mom and young child, so it’d be weird to simply leave them aside to find Mirai. With other families trying to cope with the disaster too, it might seem kind of rude to throw the responsibility to Mari’s neighbours or friends ;)

23. dickens says:

I realize that, but as Mari, here you have this girl you’ve been helping, whose brother died and now has gone asylum-insane seeing his ghost wandering around Tokyo alone….I dunno, I just didn’t expect her to just be written out of the show until the reunion in this episode. Seems kind of weak.

There was some good writing in this episode. Overall it was a decent finish, and I really think if they had avoided the cliches plaguing the last few episodes, this series could have been a classic.

24. Snowolf says:

I don’t think I’ve bawled over something like this ever. I was crying my heart out, and that’s something worth praising for as I’m usually very stoic and critical.

Tokyo Magnitude? Thanks for being there. This is one of reasons why anime are so good. It was an unbelievable, strong, sweet and sad ending which was totally worth the wait. 12/10 for me on this one.

25. John says:

I’ve never cried so much watching a film or TV show… in fact I reckon this is the most I’ve ever cried. It was a good series but I don’t ever want to watch it again. Too depressing. Poor Yuuki :-‘(

26. Android18a says:

I think this is the first anime which ever truly made me cry. I’d just about held it together before now, but episode 11 just did me in. The entire second half of the episode was viewed past streams of tears.

How can a fictional story affect our emotions so much? I think the creators of this anime did a wonderful job of bringing out the human elements of the characters.

I loved this series so much. I think I might have to recover a bit before I can watch it through again though.

Part of me was really, really hoping it was all just a dream.

27. Jordan says:

My only question is WHEN in the timeline did Yuki die? I’ve been trying to figure it out.. some say during the Tokyo Tower incident and some say around episode 9.

28. Sacchi says:

Skip to 0:33. That’s when he starts to die. He basically dies in episode 8/9.

29. shogun22 says:

I felt the hallucination (more like a ghost aparition) was a bit out of place in a series that was mostly realsitic. Episode 11 felt like a supernatural-drama.
    But overall it was a good series.

30. Brad says:

Excellent series. Some of the melodrama feels forced at times, but despite that it still works – probably because of the believability of it all. Mirai and Mari are great characters that are very easy to care about, while Yuki is really just a plot device… but for a series as short as this one, I don’t think Yuki’s character could have been done any differently without lessening the emotional impact of the story. The sense of loss is palpable, and I cried. OK, I bawled. A lot.

I wish more anime series were like this.

31. tazman0208 says:

A real tearjerker this episode was and more than a “few” manly tears were shed, Especially the little montage of different scenes in the life of the Onozawa family. This was a great ending to a great series.

32. Lue says:

Indeed the suspense was not lost on me. I cried like a pussy. There was nothing manly about my tears. This show had me by the balls and took no prisoners.

33. Soaks says:

Regarding the whole ghost thing, it reminded me of a (true) story my father had once shared with us.

It was that of a boy who apparently drowned in a river here in town because of a raging storm. The next day, the boy, supposedly dead, managed to show up in school wearing muddy rain boots, and even spent the entire day like normal. It wasn’t until a few days later that the school received news of the boy’s death. When his father learned how his son, after dying, still managed to “go” to school, he cried hard enough to destroy a dam, subliminally thinking why his son hadn’t shown himself to his family instead.

That story makes me believe that Yuuki is in fact showing himself as a ghost and Mirai isn’t exactly hallucinating – at least, not fully since ghosts can technically be hallucinations as well. Plus it’s understandable if Mirai is withdrawing in denial. So I guess it’s half-half, though I’m leaning more on the ghost side, personally. It’s just that, saying ‘hallucinations’ denotes that Mirai has lost her mind and is merely talking to herself, as opposed to actually speaking with Yuuki’s ghost – his consciousness. Supernatural doesn’t necessarily translate to unrealistic, in this case. I really hate making a point using the term ‘realistic,’ but it’s believable enough. Just nitpicking.

Finally, I was a bit drowsy while watching the show (I’m almost a year late, I know) and had half-expected it to end all happy with no one dying (at least in the main cast). I’m glad I was wrong, and I’m satisfied with how it all turned out.

Gonna be a while before I move on from this. I need to watch something lighthearted and funny.

34. Cookies says:

I love this show but i really hate how they killed yuuki. Why didnt they kill mirai instead!!!! Cried alot too. But ugh stupid producers had to kill yuuki.. He was my favorite character.. Booo!!

35. starblacks says:

I have never ever ever cried for anything fictional, but i couldn’t stop my tears the whole last episode. Thank you Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, for giving me belief again that anime can be truely moving.

36. Not buthurt that Yuuki died says:

So I just marthoned this show, and took a look at the comments for the last few episodes, and really the only reason why people actually started not liking the show was because they were really upset at Yuki Dying, even going gas far to say stupid shit like “people don’t hallucinate dead people” uh. . yeah they do (having had experience with a family member who did the same thing). One thing I really like, was the scene in yuuki;s classroom. where it had the Kanji on the board.

The Kanji on the board was: ”未来” Meaning “Future” the thing that got me about that scene was that the pronunciation is “MIRAI” (the main character’s name) and the way it was posted on the board multiple times (usually its done once by each student for Kanji/caligaraphy learning/writing practice) was really powerful. I was imagining that the proliferation of her name on that board was like a message being constantly pinged to Mirai. . .

The whole Yuuki issues and mirai seeing yuuki after he died is not something that can be criticized on since, that stuff DOES HAPPEN (people seeing dead loved ones etc etc) so its not a big stretch that mirai went through all of that too, being that she’s 13(first year junior high student), saw all of those horrific images during the show, and experienced a lot of shock-worthy things.

The ONLY thing that would be a valid point of criticism, was that Tokyo wasn’t Damaged more than they portrayed. . .they Kinda got around it by saying that Naka-Meguro was really hit hard; which is be accurate as that area is a deathtrap if an earthquake hit. . .I used to live in Naka-Meguro for a year and a half and in Tokyo for Five years, so I know what I’m talking about (recently moved back a couple weeks ago. . .I also lived in Ventral Tokyo during the 9.0 quake that hit Tohoku)

but yeah, being that I know the city like the back of my hand if an 8.0 earthquake hit Tokyo in Tokyo bay, at a depth of only 25km. . . .

The death toll would be in the millions. . .MILLIONS!

They did address subtly though the fact that the media will NOT actually tell you how bad conditions/damage are in a crisis. During the Fukushima incident, the government and news were saying that Tokyo was safe during the 2-3 days the fukushima cloud wafted over Tokyo when the winds changed, I assure you it was not . . .I knew people in the U.S. Military who told me to evacuate since they took their own separate readings of the radiation, the french tracked and confirmed this. so I had to go down to Osaka for about two weeks before I was sure everything was alright. none of that stuff was told to anyone on the news or radio.

but yeah an earthquake of that strength hitting Tokyo bay like that, would WIPE OUT that city. . . .

Also the aftershocks. There would be CONSTANT, STRONG after shocks like 6-7+ intensity for MONTHS on End! (There are still aftershocks from the Tohoku quake occurring almost two years after!) I know they toned that down for the sake of the story, as realistically Odaiba WOULD sink and the kids would most likely be dead in the first 20-30 minutes of the show. . . but then there wouldn’t be a show! So I have to give a pass on that. (the aftershocks would most likely kill and damage many more times more than the initial quake.)

anyway those are the ONLY sources of criticism that really can be pointed at this show without said criticizer sounding like a retard for being butthurt their character died and not knowing what they’re talking about.

Oh wait, one more. . .Tokyo Tower falling down, yeah that scene should have killed those kids. Tokyo tower is HUUUUUGE! everyone in that park could have died if Tokyo tower really fell on it, It’s THAT big

So we got to rely on fansubs for it when it's airing.
@Mario, Nope. I think because netflix only puts up full seasons they are only planning to put it up when it's finished airing. Or when it's dubbed.
But how does the Netflix thing work? So of I have a Netflix account I can watch the show weekly?
@Aidan: that's a dumb way to do things really because unless you watch the show weekly, everyone gonna forget that it even exist. Just look at Re-Life last year
thought*. Words are hard.

Eventually found the actual first ep though and enjoyed it.
Was funny. I tried to find the first Ep for Little Witch, found original short made afew years ago, watched it and though "This is very similar to the original... Whats new".
Little witch is one of the best shows this season and yet I can't get subtitles because Netflix doesn't release shows weekly. Motherf*cker.
Ore Monogatari I enjoyed. It was a nice romance that actually explored what happens after the confession. Also the 2 leads are just precious.
Alright but unmemorable seems like a good summation.
@Lenlo: one good thing about Seiren is if you don't like this romance, the whole thing gonna reset after episode 4 so there's a chance that you might end up like it. Agreed that the comedy wasn't very good. Alright but unmemorable
@Topgavin: I watched like first 3 episodes and stopped because I didn't have much time there, but I enjoyed what I saw. A well-written and endearing show in my book
Has anyone here watched Ore Monogatari before? Because in the 4 years I've watched anime, I've never heard of it (I guess it did come out 2 years ago) and yet it's turning out to be one of my favorite shows. Always great going into a show expecting nothing and getting pleasantly surprised.
Only one more impression to go. Should have it up tomorrow.
Im really not feeling Seiren. Its "comedy" isnt for me and I just dont find it very enjoyable to watch so far. Im curious if it gets any better but 2 episodes in it just isnt that good.
HelghastKillzone
That ending scene is an entire side-story compressed into that. Don't expect anymore of it from here on out as the it sticks to ruthless military/fantasy pretty well.
LookingForKeys
@Topgavin I think it was good, making it the second episode. That way the first set up the world the story will be in, and showed how much of a monster the "little girl" really is right at the end, and then made ep.2 the explanation. Nothing against Tanya trying to rip "God" a new one.
That after-credits scene, though...
Hmm, as much as I like Seiren's omnibus format, it doesn't turn out really hot this second episode. Demi-chan, on the other hand, still maintains its endearing tone. Might blogging Demi-chan instead
Yeah, that second episode was much better than the first. Dunno why they didn't start with that to be honest, waste of an opportunity for a good hook episode. The voice for the main girl still sounds weird to me though; I get it's supposed to sound weird because it symbolizes 'her' being out of place and her personality and body being a mismatch, but it'll certainly take some getting used to.
Youjo Senki, now we are talking. Like Helghast said, Did the god scene way better than the LN and manga. Made it less comedic and more intimidating.
Oh man that Rakugo intro. Not sure what to think, but first time seeing it I liked it
I sort of like good will hunting because I kind of saw a bit of myself in Damon's character when I watched it ages ago.
@Mario: Remaking psycho and ruining the shower scene, for shame van sant, for shame.
Its easy to ripoff some obscure thing though and get away with it. The dogtooth director essentially stole an old Mexican film to make that.
@Kaiser: yeah, that following some guys from behind like they were on a RPG games, which I think actually fit with the tones of Elephant. I have such mixed feeling with Gus van Sant too. Don't really think he's a great director.
@Mario: Although Istvan Szabo is probably a little more well known for that Mephisto film that updates the Faust story. Zoltan Fabri's the fifth seal is a very thought provoking war movie.
@Mario: I remember seeing a film documentary that featured Gus van sant in one section, they showed clips of tarrs films, Sant ripped of the cinematography and stole the style from some British short film to make Elephant.
@Kaiser: agree on the other Hungarian filmmakers, I don't know much about them either.
@Mario: Scorsese's Silence was a big comeback. I really really emotionally connect with spiritual crisis stories.
@kaiser: yep, definitely check wreckmeister down. Althought I admit that watching his 2-hour plus films will feel like 5-hour anyways
@Mario: I'm more tolerant of darker teenage/coming of age films/stories. Les Demons was a big surprise.
@Mario: Though its kind of frustrating, I do think Tarr probably takes attention away from other hungarian filmakers because no-body knows who the hell the others are.
@Mario: Man, wreckmeister was so visually arresting I started getting dreams from it.
@Mario: I would consider Tarr to be kind of a poor mans Janco, Angelopolus and Tarkvosky rolled into one. I don't entirely "get" wreckmeister and man from London but they are great atmospheric mood piece experiences.
@Kaiser: I had been wanting to watch Belar Tarr's Turin Horse and Werckmeister Harmonies for so long now. Well, Fat Girl is shocking haha, but I'm normally drawn into those kind of films anyway.
@Kaiser: Margaret took like 5,6 years to release because he couldn't cut it down in the way he wanted. The final cut if I remembered correctly was edited by Martin Scorsese
@Mario: Only a HDcam for moonlight now.
I looks like my lineup is witch academia, rakugo and youjo senki, well the most latter one until I get bored.
@Mario: I sense a directors cut for manchester, it feels like it need another 30 minutes.
@Kaiser: right up my valley. Watch Kenneth Lonergan's previous works Magaret and You Can Count on Me. Magaret is very messy but have a raw dialogue and interactions as well
Now the first episodes are over, I will keep on covering 3-gatsu, as for the other twos atm I have 3 options: 1) full romance/anti-romance high school Seiren/Scum's Wish. 2) slice-of-life moe monster girls Demi-chan/Maid Dragon and 3) Mature,dark Onihen/Acca (which although I like them I don't have much to talk about).If you guys have any preference on which shows you like covered then let me know
@Helghast: At this point I'm watching youjo senki as an entertaining guilty pleasure.
@Mario: Too many reboots upcoming, will wait for the dvds instead. I want to explore more of manchester by the sea's director's work. I also want to finally get more into Bela Tarr's stuff.
@Mario: I was rather shocked by A Ma souer/fat girls final act. Scenes with the Italian in the bedroom were initially creepy.
@Kaiser: it's a nice review Kaiser, a bit jealous with you that you've seen those 3 films which are touted as the best films of 2016. Also Fat Girl, haha, I love that movie.
Poor yotaro =< you have so much stuff going down on you =<
HelghastKillzone
Youjo Senki episode was so good today. That revamped scene with God just fitted so right.
A official release of that game in the west is apparently coming but it's been a few years and not much news about it.
@Aidan: Ah yes that was the one.
@Kaiser, Had to think for a moment on that one but I think I was talking about this. https://vndb.org/v3144
Now I'd hardly consider myself a studio trigger fan, but I watched the first witch academia episode there, it was actually kind of fun, got the same reaction from me as flipflappers did, that magical, special feeling.
@Mario: I also, of interest reviewed Kenneth Lonegrans new film: http://letterboxd.com/shao_liu_ringon/film/manchester-by-the-sea/
@Mario: Moonlight got some feels out of me though it could of been more, it ends abruptly and with 20 extra minutes they could have spent a bit more time on each section of his life.
@Mario: I checked out lala land, ending was very well executed, one of three scenes in the film that were impressive visually. The whole thing looked pretty and Gosling and Stone had some decent chemistry. Although it didn't resonate emotionally as strongly as the musicals of Jacques Demi did.
MOM I want aiyoku no eustia and I want it now.
I've never heard of himawari or tokyo babel. The hellsing comparison at least interests me in dies irae. What was the name of that visual novel again that was coming out soon, Aidan you described it as "And Kaiser would love it because its supposed to be really fucked up".
I vaguely remember the anime for 11 eyes, it was very forgettable, even the voice acting was poor, hated the childhood friends and the pacing was poor, those black knight things were kind of interesting though.
@Aidan: You'll have to add me onto the list of those unsatisfied with the ever 17 writer, I read one of those games and felt it was a bunch of interesting bait that never paid off.
Anyway I plan on doing a review of 11eyes here when I finish it.
Can't say I was a fan of Ever17. That was a really good twist but when it came to explaining it their was a lot of contrived development. Generally not a fan of the writer. Looseboy, Ryukishi, Gen and Nasu are more my kinda thing
@Anon, it is nice that so many VNs are on steam but I wish they wouldn't be stupid with the whole no adult content thing. Not so much for myself but to prevent idiots from writing negitives reviews because the game doesn't have sex. VNs can grip you in a way anime simply can't and while they require pathence and time those can be some pretty powerful stories.
@Aidan, I am so happy steam's so VN-friendly now. I think it's a very good type of media. Like anime, it has nice visuals, music and some movement but also the inner monologue and text amount of books. It's the perfect combination. Plus, the routes, which are often puzzle pieces and PoVs you have to go through to understand the whole story. True routes like the one of Ever17 blew my mind.
Hopefully the two VNs I bought of steam turn out better. Tokyo Babel is supposed to be alright and I heard really good things about Himawari.
I am about a third of the way through the game and really not much of worth has happened. The concept is interesting but the execution is sorely lacking.
I went in expecting it to be a mixed bag and it's pretty below my expectations. It's just not really well written and the protagonist is a moron. THere isn't really routes and instead you are pretty much stuck with his childhood friend as the main love interest. Problem with that is her character begins and ends with loving the main.
@Aidan, damn. 11Eyes is on my reading list as well. Although I almost expected it to not be as good as I thought it'd be (back then). Guess I would have enjoyed it if I was able to read it while the (shitty) adaption aired, maybe I have seen/read too many series by now. Guess I'll still give it a try some day though.
@Anon, I haven't heard the OST or watched the intro video. I only know it be reputation and have decided to walk into it as blind as I can. Still slightly worried as I was somewhat looking forward to reading 11Eyes for a couple of years and now that I am reading it it's well...not good.
@Aidan, same here. I was waiting years for this, since I saw the intro video for the first time. Also, that OST!
HelghastKillzone
Youjo Senki is already leagues better than Izetta. It's going to be top anime of forever and ever. (maybe not)
And finally Dies Irae is funded. May actually be able to play and finish the game before the anime airs. If the hype is real behind this baby it could be a new personal favorite Visual Novel of mine. Already looking promising with it being like a cross between Hellsing and Fate/Stay Night. Two things I most certainly like.
@Masky, in regards to style over substance thats where im at with Gurrne Lagann.
Yeah, I'll probably watch the next episode to see whether it can redeem itself. Hopefully it can but considering 1st episodes usually get a lot of budget, there's some severe doubt in there.
I actually argee with character designs and voices are bad in regards to female characters. Still the next episode might change your mind if we get more into the main characters head.
It's boring
Also, it seems I disagree with a lot of people in thinking Youjo Senki will be a massive trainwreck. The character designs are awful, the voice acting is mismatched but most of all the premise just seems so very dumb. If I wanted to watch a badass kill people I'd go watch Hellsing or Drifters, because at least those don't have some op, disproportionate loli as the mc.
Gets even more complicated when you account for Satire and Parody. You could equally argue all examples listed as being as such.
Little Witch Academia is a decontruction of Harry Potter....I don't believe that but honestly if I tried I could put some reasoning behind that statement.
In the end, it always comes down to opinion (as with every discussion about anime, for some reason). You could spin any and every series as a "deconstruction", which is why people shy away from using the word. You could argue NGE, Madoka and Re:Zero are all deconstructions yet also argue Gundam, Precure and SAO are depending on what points you weigh more importantly.
Like, if deconstruction is supposed to be just "break the elements and then play story how it would realistically go down" well I haven't watched NGE, but as far as I know it does have stuff that isn't typical to mecha genre besides the "It would fuck up kids" thing plus "realistically how it would play out" is pretty subjective thing. I mean, its mainly about how cynical bastard the writer is :P
Like I said, I don't fully agree with it because I find video's speaker's attitude annoying, but I found it semi convincing. Main thing I don't find convincing about it is that I don't think its hard to turn video's own arguments agaisnt it and say that by its own logic NGE isn't deconstruction either, like Aidan just said earlier
And I don't really have energy for checking out the "correct" one. If there even is one. Anyway, the hipster video I was talking about was titled "What Actually Is A Deconstruction?" if you want to check it out.
Hmm, well, it does depend on definition you use. Like if you use "realistic" thing, well, Magical Girl shows don't usually have "You turn into monsters" thing going on and reason why NGE's pilots go crazy is from dangerous situations rather than evas making them do so. But honestly, I don't really have strong opinion on matter since word seems to be one of those with several different meaning
for me Madoka IS a deconstruction of Magical girl, and yeah like what Aidan said
I think part of Utena is a deconstruction of "prince riding horse and save the girl" because that notion is just a foundation for Utena to become a prince herself and save other girl. That's breaking it apart and resemble it again in its own way. Don't have to be dark/ don't have to be real either
@Masky, That's just debating semantics. Besides that difinition would pretty much mean that Neon Genesis Evangelion isn't a decontruction either. Madoka isn't a decontruction because it's dark. It's more in its aspects of criticising why a girl should throw her ordinary life away for something as dangerous as being a magical girl. It does take plenty of the typical tropes and turn them on its head
@Masky: Genre deconstruction is such a tricky word that I normally try to avoid using because there's really no set characteristic about the term and different people have different opinions about what constitute "deconstruction". For me, I disagree that deconstruction have to be dark and real, hmm can't say it well but I will give you an example:
But yeah, I guess I could try to find the video if you guys are interested, though like I said, I got hipsterish feel from the video and felt rather annoyed through it even though I did get what the point was and found it sort of convincing besides my annoyance
(not that liking NGE is hipsterish, its just that I find NGE to be more style than substance sort of series <_< Anyway, guy didn't dislike madoka or anything, he just seemed to dislike people using word deconstruction wrong in his opinion)
(especially with how much they seemed to praise Neon Genesis Evangelion)
I mean, I think the guy was being somewhat hipsterish, but its true the being darker take on genre isn't same as deconstructing the genre
@AidanAK47: Some other guy on youtube did video that had actually pretty good point about how Madoka isn't really deconstruction, if you go by definition of "Break it down to parts and then play them straight to show how horrifying it would be in real life"
Gente - Ristorante no Hitobito
If anything its the hate I have for certain characters that makes it more effective.
The obsessional level of attachment is just uncomfortable to me, I don't want to get THAT attached to a non-real character.
Its literally just a case of "Okay lets look at this picture of this character, she looks interesting, no feelings or expression from me, apply this fetish, fap, get release, go home. "
Or drooling/dribbling/heavy breathing/grinning over the characters. I abhor alot of the anime girls I find attractive or am indifferent, even when looking at ecchi/hentai drawings I'm straight and clinical with it.
I mean to each their own. But I really hate the level of emotion/devotion to moe/finding the characters attractive. Such as celebrating their birthdays, going on about how cute/hot they are, how important it is that they're virgins. Or not being being self-aware of how irritating the characters are.
Anime hipster is pretty accurate. His general treatment of the current state of anime is annoying, as is his obsession with moe. Maybe its cause I cant stand moe most of the time, but it bugs me.
@Lenlo: Essentially my brothers view on digibro.
@Aidan: I don't usually feel the need to correct errors in your reviews as the errors are generally un-important, but I think you meant to say apprentices rather than appearences in the Rakugo review, just bringing that up as it felt like kind of a throw off.
Which is kinda like saying Madoka wasn't a magical girl deconstruction because Sailor Moon and Nanoha had dark elements too.
Went and read the reddit comments on it and seems I was right on the money.
@Lenlo, He's basically a anime hipster. For example, I saw a thumbnail of his which had Saitama on it and below it "Is There Meaning In "Subverting" Shounen Tropes?" and I thought "Okay, he's going to go on about how OPM isn't subversive and then list a bunch of arbitrary examples in an attempt to redefine what is actually subversive"
I have lots of issues with Digibro. Dude has some good points, but other very horrible ones. Some issues he feels strongly about and gets kinda biased on imo.
acca looks visually interesting, and I personally really dig this kind of show, but it seems that it's definitely not for everyone
Time to live up to my word. Four posts incoming.
Man, Little witch Academia was so good. I disagree with the whole Digibro thing about being able to recognise a great show in it's first episode but watching this makes me think that this really is going to be something special.
Alright, gonna put in effort today and have 3 or 4 first impressions posts done. That should knock out near half the season.
Had a flip through handshakers. Garish is the word I'd use to describe it visually, it takes you out of the show.
ASuperMario From the first minute I can already tell it's by the same people that made K. Those colour filters and the extremely jarring/obvious city CGI is unmistakable.
Hand Shakers, literally makes my hands shaking. It's an abosolute mess. Highly recommended to check it out because it's so terrible it's great to watch
Vonter212
Yeah, and it's also a literal woman in refrigerator plot device, since that the thing that pushes the story forward.
I'd say that having to hide your sister's body in fridge would count as daaaaaaark and edgy, but when the body is wearing only underwear, and for some reason main character put metal things in fridge to keep body standing(I guess to not knock fridge open from inside?) I think it goes to "exploitation" you are talking about
Vonter212
@Masky - Did someone said doing dark things for drama? That's the bread and butter to get despair. Unless it's for the sake of perversion. Then it's just exploitation.
@Masky: His other works dead tube and scumbag go further in the unhinged regard.
*relies on easy "let's do [x dark thing] for drama!" thing
Geez, Mayonaka no X Giten is fricking disturbing/disgusting ._. I'm pretty sure that writing relies on e, but I can't help but think mangaka is trying to make corpses sexy.
I found Onihei to be quite good, actually one of the most solid new episode I watched this new season. Guys, check them out
I just hope it doesn't fall into the same misstep Kabaneri or Inuyasha or Bleach fall by making a villain so over the top that it crossed the line of not having a satisfying downfall.
@Vonter I think they just moved on. I lost interest rather quickly and I guess even the fans did that at some point, like with some other long-running series. There is much more new and more direct "fujo" stuff out there, many of them probably switched. Don't know what happens in the manga but maybe the story got worse or contained things some people didn't like.
January will be loli dictator month (for me) :p. World Conquest Zvezda Plot, Youjo Senki: Saga of Tanya the Evil (new), Seraph of the End. For some reason I stumble into three curious series with little power hungry girls. If I can ask, why did Owari Seraph's hype died, I remember back it was mentioned more often. It still has the fujoshi fanart but still, I don't see people bringing it up.
@CATski: well, if you didn't like its first 3 episodes I dont think the rest gonna change your mind. Have you finished Erased then? How did you like it?
But I understand it's difficult to speak in front of camera, get some time to get used to it
@kaiser: I won't commend on poem as I'm terrible at it myself but younneed to work more on presentation Kaiser. Small little things like looking directly at the camera or say "thanks for listening" in the end can connect you to the audience better
Ok. I'll give the thing another chance. *clicks torrent* XD. CATski.
@Topgavin: You might like centaur no nanami if you like demi-chan.
Damn...repeated myself =<
There are these things called slam sessions done in bars where people get up and read out stuff in front of a crowd and read stuff out. Actually watching rakugo made me think about practicing for that kind of thing.
@Mario: the video I did was of me reading out a short piece of writing I did, a poem. lol I uploaded it to the wrong youtube account too I just realized =P
[link src="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypBZ2hBDBYs&t=11s
I"] was recording this from my mothers laptops inbuilt cam while reading off my desktop.
@Kaiser: I think it's a good idea for you to try out reviewing movies/stuffs in youtube channel. I'll be very interesting to listen to them
@Topgavin: Agree. Demi-chan was so charming. Definately one of my favorite so far this new season
Demi-chan's first episode was good. Like, really really good. That blonde-haired girl was hilarious, the teacher-student relationship between the MC and the girls is really interesting and the social/practical problems the demi's face make it look like my favorite show so far.
CATski
Ah... ok. Is it really that good or it's just one of those "artsy" animes that tend to get overrated by their ardent fans? I didnt find the rakugo bit interesting.... probably the weakest aspect of the show for me.
@Aidan: Why did I read that chapter. Why did I do that to myself.
Admittedly yes the premise is not for everyone, but if you stick with it, the flashback arc had some good character work in there.
CATski
Rakugo has a season 2? I watched ep 1 - 3 of season 1 then promptly deleted it. The loud "yankee" dude was annoying. And the anime was boring.
Oh man, I've been thinking lately of trying to start some kind of youtube channel. I did a few trial run videos. Its much much harder than it looks, didn't realize how nervy being in front of a video camera was.
*a declining art and rakygo halls are closing down
As the show continues to mention how "its declining art", that got me thinking of the modern day, how while things like tv and cinemas probably hurt attendances for rakugo performances, the internet has replaced theaters .
Ah, now I've watched it. It'll be interesting to see Yotaro's relation to sukeroku's daughter develop. By all intents he should be an irritating character and not as interesting a yakumo based on his personality, but I can't help but like him, example of a goofball character done right.
ElDlive is looking good
I haven't gotten around to rakugo's second seasons first episode yet =<
Just looking at masamunes female protaganist I want to punch her.
Vapid would be how I'd describe it, I didn't care about Masamune no revenge but at least there was some life to it.
Ah, suzuka I remember a friend telling me when I got halfway through the anime to literally run from it and not continue. I flicked through fuukas first two episodes and played count the cliches.
While I definitely got something out of Yojo senki's manga, I found the first episode easier to get through than the manga, in terms of pace and exposition.
@Masky, Fuuka chapter 135. Read and be amazed.
Ah sorry ._.; And wait, there is another twist later on? What
@Masky, Even if it's a crap show don't go posting spoilers on the chatbox.
Oh and that's just the begining, a really dumbass twist happened recently in the manga.
@Aidan: I'm away a whole day again so I'll be a bit late on my impressions.

Some Quick First Impressions: Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2, Chaos;Child, Marginal#4 KISS Kara Tsukuru Big Bang and Scums Wish

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2 Short Synopsis: Kazama stands trial after accidentally blowing up a lord’s manor while saving the town. This show certainly hasn’t lost it’s charm. I had the biggest smile on my face while watching and it even managed to get me laughing out loud at points. I will admit […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Onihei, Gabriel DropOut and ACCA – 13-ku Kansatsu-ka

Onihei Short Synopsis: A captured thief joins the police to hunt down his old leader. For a studio’s first work this is quite a solid offering. The beginning reminded me of samurai champloo though this seems more a traditional samurai story. Animation isn’t anything too impressive but it does the job and there is some […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Hand Shakers, Kemono Friends and Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon

Hand Shakers Short Synopsis: A boy holds the hand of a girl he finds in a hospital room and ends up in a supernatural battle to the death. GoHands, you know what would be great? If you know, instead of slapping on lens flares and colour filters all over the place, you just don’t do […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Little Witch Academia, Idol Jihen and elDLIVE

Little Witch Academia Short Synopsis: A normal girl goes to attend a academy for witches You know if the remaining 24 episodes are as great as this one this anime may end up on of my all time favorites list. Animation is great and full of personality, story is simple but fun and I had […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Spiritpact, Demi-chan wa Kataritai and Chain Chronicle – Haecceitas no Hikari

Spiritpact Short Synopsis: A boy is killed by a truck and finds himself teamed up with an exorcist as a ghost. Sorry China, by all means keep trying but this isn’t going to top Japanese animation any time soon. So what’s wrong? Well the animation is fairly basic, the characters are annoying and the comedy […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu S2, Seiren and Urara Meirochou

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu S2 Short Synopsis: A former ex-con hopes to keep the profession of Rakugo alive. It’s good to see this show hasn’t lost it’s touch in between the seasons and having Yotaro do a recap of the first season through Rakugo was a particularly great touch. The drama is still excellent and […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Youjo Senki, Schoolgirl Strikers and Minami Kamakura Koukou Joshi Jitensha-bu

Youjo Senki   Short Synopsis: A little girl named Tanya Degurechaff fights for the German Empire in World War One as the most dangerous sorcerer of the imperial army. However, she is actually one of Japan’s most elite salarymen, who prioritizes efficiency and her own career over anything else, that was reborn as a little […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 12 [What Lies on the Opposite Shore – Black River (part 1)]

3-gatsu no Lion is back again in the new year with another stellar episode. Structure-wise, I think this is one of the most confident episode 3-gatsu no Lion has delivered for a while, as the show handled multiple tones and aspects in Rei’s current life in one neat package. This episode begins with a deep […]

Some Quick First Impressions: AKIBA’ S TRIP: THE ANIMATION, Fuuka and Masamune-kun no Revenge

AKIBA’ S TRIP: THE ANIMATION Short Synopsis: A boy and girl fight off possessed humans by stripping them of their clothes. Honestly I expected this to be a lot worse but it could turn out decently watchable if the rest of the episodes match this then this could turn out to be a good series. […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100