Posted by psgels on 30 October 2009 with categories: Top 10 Anime

A few weeks ago, there were a lot of requests for a this, so here you go: in preparation of Halloween, here is the list of my 10 favourite horror series. It was an interesting list to compile, because even though I’m a big fan of horror, I never really thought about my favourite series of the genre.

Of course, there are many different kinds of horror. Anime is hardly ever truly scary, but it does have a wide variety of horror series with a genuinely creepy atmosphere, and that’s what I was looking for when compiling this list. This can be done with gore, scary images, monsters, but also psychological horror, and the classic Japanese style of horror that tries to creep the viewer out with a tight storytelling. I tried to include a bit of everything in this list, because I don’t believe that there’s one sub-genre that’s inherently better than the others.

Again, like with my other lists I’d love to see some other people’s top 10 (or whatever suits you best) horror-series. I’m also interested about other sorts of Top 10 lists you want to see on this blog. I might as well try to create a different Top 10 list every month.

Some series who didn’t make the list but deserve a honorable mention: Hakaba Kitarou (for those who are interested in the combination between horror and comedy), Betterman (a bit long-winded, but pretty nice survival horror) and Mouryou no Hako (has some horror elements, but not enough to really make it to this list).

#10: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni

Higurashi’s biggest focus isn’t horror, but that doesn’t mean that it doesn’t have a number of genuinely creepy episodes in its first season. Especially because at that point, you’ll have no idea what the heck is going on, which only contributes to the atmosphere. It has gore, characters going insane and a setting in which you can trust nobody, all packaged under such a seemingly cute exterior.

#9: Boogiepop Phantom

Boogiepop Phantom is really more of subtle psychological kind of horror, but like Higurashi it also really likes to confuse the heck out of its viewer, and takes this sense of mystery further than any series I’ve seen. This, combined with a number of disturbing cases of messed-up personalities earned this series a place in this top 10.

#8: Kurozuka

So yeah, we all know what a mess Kurozuka ended up to be in the character-department, but as an action-horror series it truly shines. It had a really powerful set of visuals and a constantly tight atmosphere and some incredibly tense and well-written action scenes. Madhouse really knew how to make a huge visual spectacle out of it, and the genuinely creepy atmosphere made this into a unique series.

#7: Perfect Blue

This is the only movie I have on this list, but it really deserves to be here. This is everything that psychological horror should be, and Satoshi Kon succeeded in creating a schizophrenic and paranoid 90 minutes. It’s an excellent character-study of the darker sides about being an idol, dealing with obsessive fans and the like. While it’s not the best thing that Satoshi Kon has written, it still knows how to capture its audience and stands out as the best animated horror movie for me.

#6: Ayakashi ~ Japanese Classic Horror

Of course, this is one series that can’t be missing in a top-list of horror anime. This actually was the series that introduced me to this great genre, and it really shows what you can do with it. It consists out of three stories, and while the second one isn’t exactly impressive, the first and third really manage to deliver in disturbing antics and very tense storytelling. They’re both well built up, and especially the third story Bake Neko (which would later spawn its own series called Mononoke) is storytelling at its finest.

#5:Paranoia Agent

More Satoshi Kon, as he takes another shot at psychological horror. This series was supposed to be a collection of stories that didn’t fit into his movies, and the result is a number of excellent character-studies about a collection of people who breaking down mentally. This is of course great horror-material, and he really manages to combine this with this creepy atmosphere in which you never know what’s real and what’s just an illusion. It’s a show that loves to play with irony, and another great horror recommendation.

#4: Gilgamesh

I’m still not sure why this series is so often hated, but I digress. At its core, Gilgamesh is a dark series with a constantly tight and cold atmosphere. Unlike the most of the above-mentioned series, the type of horror is nether gore, scary images or psychological, but instead it really tries to captivate its audience with its storytelling. It’s a series with a creative storyline that fits this type of series perfectly, resulting into an excellently creepy series.
(On a side-note: try finding a good image for this series. Thank you very much, Fate/Stay Night.)

#3: Jigoku Shoujo

Every episode of Jigoku Shoujo has pretty much the same concept: someone has a grudge on someone, someone accesses the Jigoku Shoujo Website, and someone gets sent to hell. But this series really makes use of this ritualistic set-up in its storytelling, again creating a very creepy atmosphere that never dies, even after 78 episodes. It’s a series that really knows how to build up its stories, and while they indeed may be hit or miss, this series however really hits hard and often enough.

#2: Shigurui

I think it was pretty obvious that Madhouse would end up dominating this top 10: five of these ten come from them, and Shigurui stands head and shoulders as their best work in terms of horror. It’s the only series that actually managed to freak me out while I was watching it, that’s how powerful the storytelling is. This series is absolutely brutal, and spares nobody: every single character is a huge bastard, and nobody gets spared when it comes to the incredibly well-drawn gore. Nothing is too much for this series and it shows this again and again and again. If you want to freak someone out, then this is my top recommendation for it.

#1: Ghost Hound

But in the end, nothing can beat Ghost Hound for me as my favourite horror-series. With its huge attention to detail in terms of psychology, it knows exactly what to do in order to create an incredibly creepy atmosphere, and on top of being an excellent psychology lesson, this series also really manages to create a unique atmosphere that attempts to do much more than being simply creepy. If you want to get in the mood for Halloween, then this is my top recommendation: Ghost Hound knows how to capture its audience, and it does so with a frightening consistency.

1. Chris says:

Bleh Higurashi, it needed a lot more creepy stuff because it failed in everything else, but it was entertaining.

Perfect Blue definitely belongs there, it’s an incredible horror movie. Doesn’t go to deep but deep enough to just be awesome. Plus it’s one of those shows that nonanime fans love.

Jigoku Shoujo is also just really awesome, it is episodic but sure does go over the edge at times.

And Ghost Hound is the only anime series to ever really creep me out, it really is the #1 horror anime out there.

Sadly you showed no love for Serial Experiments Lain or Vampire Princess Miyu =(

2. Gottis says:

I love, love, love Ghost Hound! *_* Sadly, I can’t put up a top 10 horror list, because I honestly haven’t watched 10 horror anime series. D: But I think Ghost Hound would have ended up at the top if I had. ^^

3. kbot says:

You need to check out Requiem from the Darkness. Strange and atmospheric, it always made me feel uneasy. The characters, however, felt genuine. It was almost as if I wanted to help them, but something was off, and I was scared to get involved. Peculiar, but excellent

4. Aoi says:

Where’s my Requiem from the Darkness/100 stories (Kousetsu Hyaku Monogatari) on the list? I’m disappoint.

5. psgels psgels says:

I was actually disappointed by 100 Stories. I heard all sorts of great comments about it, but in the end it was just a decent but formulaic horror-series. And while it was an interesting watch, it just wasn’t good enough for me to include it in this list.

6. reverse says:

awesome list, that a lot anime I haven’t watch. the only one I watch is Ayakashi

7. Aoi says:

@psgels
    >but in the end it was just a decent but formulaic horror-series

And yet you’ve rated Jigugo Shoujo so high. I don’t remember it being scary apart some minor episodes. Sad? Yes. Scary? No. Hell, higurashi had more successful moments that this one.

8. psgels psgels says:

True, Jigoku Shoujo was indeed formulaic, but it had enough to make up for it. I agree that it wasn’t scary, but to be honest 100 Stories was even less scary for me. It just had too little time to build up or do something with that formula, and in the end I got bored with the series near the final episodes, which was the complete opposite from Jigoku Shoujo. The only anime that I would truly consider scary would be Shigurui.

9. bateszi says:

One series that’s also probably worth being on this list is ‘Petshop of Horrors,’ which has a pretty rubbish first episode (it’s only four episodes in total) but has some thoroughly weird stuff (in a good way) later on– a certain episode about mermaids, in particular, is really disturbing!

Also, just wanted to add the spider-woman-thing from ‘Wicked City’ is pretty damn messed up! ‘Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust’ is a very good, traditional monster horror anime (as is the original Blood movie). Basically, anything directed by Yoshiaki Kawajiri is worth watching at Halloween!

10. Canne says:

Really nice list. I’ve watch only 5 titles from the topten and 3 titles I put on my ‘gonna watch someday list’. I suppose I’ll have to watch Ghost Hound soon because right now, I think Paranoia Agent deserves the top spot.

By the way, does your list include OVA or ONA? Kakurenbo: Hide & Seek has just crossed my mind.

11. elianthos says:

Among the ones you mentioned&I actually watched,
    1)Ghost Hound and
    2)Ayakashi_Japanese Classic Horror
    along with its spin-off
    3)Mononoke
    are the ones I enjoyed.
    Must check the titles by Satoshi Kon ^_^.
    I don’t recall you reviewing The Portrait of Petite Cossette trio of OVAs… in case you haven’t watched it I’d suggest you to look for it. It’s arsty, twisted, nightmare-ish and gorey . A love and horror/ghost story rolled into one.

12. Wyrdwad says:

Ooh, I agree with Batezsi about Petshop of Horrors – except that I actually think the first episode is the BEST of the four. (: Great anime, though, on the whole, and Count D is a fantastic character. (:

-Tom

13. Kamikazesim says:

Time to go download Ghost Hound now.

Out of all the shows on this list, the only one I haven’t seen/downloaded is Ghost Hound.

14. windy says:

The horror anime I liked the most are definitely (or will be for sure if they’re not finished yet, but clearly stand out among the best):

1) Higurashi no naku koro ni
    2) Higurashi no naku koro ni kai
    3) Umineko no naku koro ni
    4) Elfen lied ( awesome!!! And the music too, gloomy and nostalgic!)
    5)The Portrait of Petite Cosette
    6)Monster ( as psychologic horror is one of the best)
    7)Vampire Princess Miyu
    8)Pet’s shop of horror
    9)Jigoku shoujo (all of them, I loved the three seasons equally)
    10)Gilgamesh ( it was quite an enigmatic and powerful series, that I won’t forget easily)
    11)Le chevalier d’eon
    12) Red garden ( the series, not the movie that I just hated)

I also loved ” Night head genesis” and ” Moryou no hako”( I have to watch this one entirely subbed because it was really hard for me to understand the plot and I couldn’t enjoy it at the fullest since I didn’t get the major parts!) By the way, I couldn’t sit through ” ghost hound”, I really can’t make myself to watch it and don’t understand why you all like it so much, maybe I should first see the end , but the first episodes are quite unbearable for me to watch, it doesn’t even sound like an animated series but like some kind of experimental project.

15. signorRossi says:

Great characterization of Shigurui. :) It really surprises you that it still can increase the amount of gore and madness from episode to episode… ;) If you want to be really scared again go for the manga, it has a few untold side stories and a few chapters adding to the main story, but it is still unfinished.

16. windy says:

Oh, and I forgot to mention ” bokura no” ( don’t know it can be considered clearly as a horror series, and ” basilisk” , (also one of the best!) and ” Fate stay night”, that has a great amount of horror elements in it.

17. Meep says:

I’m glad you included Higurashi–it’s fantastic.

Interesting that you mention Ghost Hound. I think I’ll watch that. ^.^ Lol and this isn’t exactly scary but I have some episodes of Hakaba Kitarou to watch too. =P And Requiem from the Darkness.

18. d says:

what about ghost hunt?

19. Reltair says:

I remember sometimes watching Ghost Hound at night and I would get somewhat freaked out. o_O

20. Jabba says:

Have you ever tired Ghost Hunt?
    Let’s just say that… That show had me screaming in fright… In a brightly lit room, in the middle of the afternoon, while hanging onto my friend… XD

Really got freaked out by the Doll Arc and threw in the towel… >_

21. Shippoyasha says:

Shigurui would be tied for #1 with Ghost Hound for me. Ghost Hound was right scary until it tried to have some silly, binding adventurous story on top. Totally flopped in using its creepiness for a creepy ending. But in the end, we got TURKEYS WITH SOULS.

But Shigurui… ugh… yeah. It’s just artistic in how depraved and horrifying it truly is. The final ‘boss battle with the old swordmaster’ is just terrifying from the beginning to the end.

22. Oh thanks for this top 10 xD I don’t know some of them, I should check them out~

I can’t think of my own top 10 . . . it’s so hard to rank xD hahaha!

23. Tk007 says:

Shigurui is the number 1 horror for me. I’m someone who likes to see gore in anime yet I find myself unable to stomach the gore in this series.

24. Pax says:

Most anime that classify as horror can be somewhat creepy,but almost never scary,if i want something scary i would not choose an anime,still your list is interesting and most of those anime (at least those i am familiar with) have their creepy moments,Higurashi actually has even some scary parts but only in the 1st arc.

Also i would like to mention Ghost Hunt(it has its good moments) and also Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust…maybe also Serial Experiments Lain,it’s not scary but it’s quite disturbing sometimes.

25. jeff says:

monster is also a good psychological/somewhat creepy anime

26. AKI says:

i was probably wondering where are: elfen lied? night head genesis? ghost hunt?

27. psgels psgels says:

Night Head Genesis… I ended up not putting that on this list because I didn’t know whether it really classified as horror or not.

I was also at first very impressed with the huge gore of Elfen Lied. Then I watched Shigurui and it suddenly looked much less impressive.

And Ghost Hunt would have gotten on this list if it weren’t for the large number of fairly weak arcs and lackluster lead character.

28. cad says:

Well one thing that might be interesting, is to compile a ‘top 10 horrifying horror animé’. Since, from what I understand, this list is more about your top 10 favourite horror animé, rather than the top 10 horror animé you consider the best/scariest. (Well actually I’m not completely sure from your post if these are your top 10 favourite or top 10 scariest, or both…)

29. Anne says:

Ive haven’t seen much horror anime, I’ve seen Blood+ and from what I’ve seen I really like it. Ever since I can remember I saw this on t.v and don’t remember the station but i was visiting my aunt and there was a part where there was a person in a subway I think and its a girl maybe, and the person gets choked by another by a chain n it was gorey and stuff, and I remember that I absolutly LOVED the anime. I have NO idea what it’s about, but if anyone can help PLEASE send me an email!!!!!!!

30. un kn own says:

Well first of all, everything that you put on the top 10 are fantastic. But you didn’t at all give higurashi the crdit it deserves, watch the entire series over again when you get at least 20 y/o when your brains fully developed. Higurashi no naku koro ni-kai-rei all were very serious in depth and very complicated. And the story line never wavered for a second. always stayed the same. If you couldn’t comprehend it. You are not intelligent lol

31. Mat says:

Ghost Hound was creepy all throughout and got me thinking almost the whole time. The ending totally ruined it. Won’t be in my number 1 spot though. Glad Jigoku and Higurashi made it in your list. Will check out Perfect blue & Paranoia Agent. Thanks for this!!

32. Horrror fan says:

Ayakashi is my favourite!!Bake Neko (or Goblin cat) as I saw has the most superb and captivating animation theme. The anime has a sophisticated touch to it and the charaters are absolutely flawless ,according to me. It is truly a crowning jewel in the Ayakashi series. Sadly ‘Goddess of Dark Tower’ was a huge disappointment…I have heard of so many vampire tales that this case of ‘forbidden love’ grows naught with me

33. josfx says:

How about Bokurano? there isn’t much gore but it is a good psychological anime

34. I think that “Mononoke” the spin-off series of one of the “Ayakashi” arcs, should definitely be mentioned alongside (if not above) “Ayakashi.” It was far more complex and disturbing/psychotic with elements of complex mystery.

35. Jasper says:

Even though this is an old list check out Another it may topple everything on this list. That is a true horror anime. It has the feel of The Shining and Final Destination along with some really great character development. Plus a great mystery aspect to it as well.

36. lol says:

i dont think ghost hound is horror it isn’t scary at all

37. dude says:

Cmon Tokyo Goul deserves to be at least
    In the top 5 of that list..

38. dude says:

Cmon guys ,
    Tokyo Goul deserves to be at least
    In the top 5 of that list..

I have played all the big roguelikes and found they have the same problem. I argee on procedural generation. Even if the map is different every time you are essentailly going through the same rooms and doing the same things.
Though to be honest, I don't like procedural(or designed room and then game connects them randomly) games much. I much enjoy hand designed dungeons since I rarely play games through more than once anyway so roguelike's appeal of "Every time you play it through its different!" doesn't appeal to me much and hand designed dungeons are much more memorable
Can't really comment further on that since I don't know which roguelikes you have played, and neither I have played gungeon so I don't know if its badly designed to the point you can't do anything if rng says so. Though I guess there is nothing wrong about liking luck based games, if roguelike in question is truly unbeatable if rng says so, well, its really badly designed one if you ask me.
Take my last run. Made it up to the fourth floor. Got plenty of guns but none were really useful. Even then ran out of ammo for all of them and the game was cheap about giving out ammo. Plenty of money but shops with nothing worth buying. Over 5 heart containers but no goddamn health. Died on the boss because I rolled out of a bullet into another bullet. Pretty much unavoidable.
@Masky, that's the theory but in pretty much every roguelike I played its not the case. If the RNG decides you are going to have a bad time then you are going to have a bad time. Skill can only bring you so far. I have played this game for 7 hours and I know I could have finished it in 2. Only thing stopping me is a dice roll.
Like, the thing with roguelikes is that they can get easier/harder depending on luck, but well done one should be completable even without any upgrades at all if you are skilled enough.
Thats not the really case with roguelikes though, unless game design is bad and includes insta kill traps and such that are unavoidable if you are unlucky
I hate roguelikes. Been playing enter the Gungeon and I just lost all patience with it. Getting real tired of my victory being decided by a RNG. It never feels satisfying to finish a roguelike because I know my victory was determined by pure luck.
So we got to rely on fansubs for it when it's airing.
@Mario, Nope. I think because netflix only puts up full seasons they are only planning to put it up when it's finished airing. Or when it's dubbed.
But how does the Netflix thing work? So of I have a Netflix account I can watch the show weekly?
@Aidan: that's a dumb way to do things really because unless you watch the show weekly, everyone gonna forget that it even exist. Just look at Re-Life last year
thought*. Words are hard.

Eventually found the actual first ep though and enjoyed it.
Was funny. I tried to find the first Ep for Little Witch, found original short made afew years ago, watched it and though "This is very similar to the original... Whats new".
Little witch is one of the best shows this season and yet I can't get subtitles because Netflix doesn't release shows weekly. Motherf*cker.
Ore Monogatari I enjoyed. It was a nice romance that actually explored what happens after the confession. Also the 2 leads are just precious.
Alright but unmemorable seems like a good summation.
@Lenlo: one good thing about Seiren is if you don't like this romance, the whole thing gonna reset after episode 4 so there's a chance that you might end up like it. Agreed that the comedy wasn't very good. Alright but unmemorable
@Topgavin: I watched like first 3 episodes and stopped because I didn't have much time there, but I enjoyed what I saw. A well-written and endearing show in my book
Has anyone here watched Ore Monogatari before? Because in the 4 years I've watched anime, I've never heard of it (I guess it did come out 2 years ago) and yet it's turning out to be one of my favorite shows. Always great going into a show expecting nothing and getting pleasantly surprised.
Only one more impression to go. Should have it up tomorrow.
Im really not feeling Seiren. Its "comedy" isnt for me and I just dont find it very enjoyable to watch so far. Im curious if it gets any better but 2 episodes in it just isnt that good.
HelghastKillzone
That ending scene is an entire side-story compressed into that. Don't expect anymore of it from here on out as the it sticks to ruthless military/fantasy pretty well.
LookingForKeys
@Topgavin I think it was good, making it the second episode. That way the first set up the world the story will be in, and showed how much of a monster the "little girl" really is right at the end, and then made ep.2 the explanation. Nothing against Tanya trying to rip "God" a new one.
That after-credits scene, though...
Hmm, as much as I like Seiren's omnibus format, it doesn't turn out really hot this second episode. Demi-chan, on the other hand, still maintains its endearing tone. Might blogging Demi-chan instead
Yeah, that second episode was much better than the first. Dunno why they didn't start with that to be honest, waste of an opportunity for a good hook episode. The voice for the main girl still sounds weird to me though; I get it's supposed to sound weird because it symbolizes 'her' being out of place and her personality and body being a mismatch, but it'll certainly take some getting used to.
Youjo Senki, now we are talking. Like Helghast said, Did the god scene way better than the LN and manga. Made it less comedic and more intimidating.
Oh man that Rakugo intro. Not sure what to think, but first time seeing it I liked it
I sort of like good will hunting because I kind of saw a bit of myself in Damon's character when I watched it ages ago.
@Mario: Remaking psycho and ruining the shower scene, for shame van sant, for shame.
Its easy to ripoff some obscure thing though and get away with it. The dogtooth director essentially stole an old Mexican film to make that.
@Kaiser: yeah, that following some guys from behind like they were on a RPG games, which I think actually fit with the tones of Elephant. I have such mixed feeling with Gus van Sant too. Don't really think he's a great director.
@Mario: Although Istvan Szabo is probably a little more well known for that Mephisto film that updates the Faust story. Zoltan Fabri's the fifth seal is a very thought provoking war movie.
@Mario: I remember seeing a film documentary that featured Gus van sant in one section, they showed clips of tarrs films, Sant ripped of the cinematography and stole the style from some British short film to make Elephant.
@Kaiser: agree on the other Hungarian filmmakers, I don't know much about them either.
@Mario: Scorsese's Silence was a big comeback. I really really emotionally connect with spiritual crisis stories.
@kaiser: yep, definitely check wreckmeister down. Althought I admit that watching his 2-hour plus films will feel like 5-hour anyways
@Mario: I'm more tolerant of darker teenage/coming of age films/stories. Les Demons was a big surprise.
@Mario: Though its kind of frustrating, I do think Tarr probably takes attention away from other hungarian filmakers because no-body knows who the hell the others are.
@Mario: Man, wreckmeister was so visually arresting I started getting dreams from it.
@Mario: I would consider Tarr to be kind of a poor mans Janco, Angelopolus and Tarkvosky rolled into one. I don't entirely "get" wreckmeister and man from London but they are great atmospheric mood piece experiences.
@Kaiser: I had been wanting to watch Belar Tarr's Turin Horse and Werckmeister Harmonies for so long now. Well, Fat Girl is shocking haha, but I'm normally drawn into those kind of films anyway.
@Kaiser: Margaret took like 5,6 years to release because he couldn't cut it down in the way he wanted. The final cut if I remembered correctly was edited by Martin Scorsese
@Mario: Only a HDcam for moonlight now.
I looks like my lineup is witch academia, rakugo and youjo senki, well the most latter one until I get bored.
@Mario: I sense a directors cut for manchester, it feels like it need another 30 minutes.
@Kaiser: right up my valley. Watch Kenneth Lonergan's previous works Magaret and You Can Count on Me. Magaret is very messy but have a raw dialogue and interactions as well
Now the first episodes are over, I will keep on covering 3-gatsu, as for the other twos atm I have 3 options: 1) full romance/anti-romance high school Seiren/Scum's Wish. 2) slice-of-life moe monster girls Demi-chan/Maid Dragon and 3) Mature,dark Onihen/Acca (which although I like them I don't have much to talk about).If you guys have any preference on which shows you like covered then let me know
@Helghast: At this point I'm watching youjo senki as an entertaining guilty pleasure.
@Mario: Too many reboots upcoming, will wait for the dvds instead. I want to explore more of manchester by the sea's director's work. I also want to finally get more into Bela Tarr's stuff.
@Mario: I was rather shocked by A Ma souer/fat girls final act. Scenes with the Italian in the bedroom were initially creepy.
@Kaiser: it's a nice review Kaiser, a bit jealous with you that you've seen those 3 films which are touted as the best films of 2016. Also Fat Girl, haha, I love that movie.
Poor yotaro =< you have so much stuff going down on you =<
HelghastKillzone
Youjo Senki episode was so good today. That revamped scene with God just fitted so right.
A official release of that game in the west is apparently coming but it's been a few years and not much news about it.
@Aidan: Ah yes that was the one.
@Kaiser, Had to think for a moment on that one but I think I was talking about this. https://vndb.org/v3144
Now I'd hardly consider myself a studio trigger fan, but I watched the first witch academia episode there, it was actually kind of fun, got the same reaction from me as flipflappers did, that magical, special feeling.
@Mario: I also, of interest reviewed Kenneth Lonegrans new film: http://letterboxd.com/shao_liu_ringon/film/manchester-by-the-sea/
@Mario: Moonlight got some feels out of me though it could of been more, it ends abruptly and with 20 extra minutes they could have spent a bit more time on each section of his life.
@Mario: I checked out lala land, ending was very well executed, one of three scenes in the film that were impressive visually. The whole thing looked pretty and Gosling and Stone had some decent chemistry. Although it didn't resonate emotionally as strongly as the musicals of Jacques Demi did.
MOM I want aiyoku no eustia and I want it now.
I've never heard of himawari or tokyo babel. The hellsing comparison at least interests me in dies irae. What was the name of that visual novel again that was coming out soon, Aidan you described it as "And Kaiser would love it because its supposed to be really fucked up".
I vaguely remember the anime for 11 eyes, it was very forgettable, even the voice acting was poor, hated the childhood friends and the pacing was poor, those black knight things were kind of interesting though.
@Aidan: You'll have to add me onto the list of those unsatisfied with the ever 17 writer, I read one of those games and felt it was a bunch of interesting bait that never paid off.
Anyway I plan on doing a review of 11eyes here when I finish it.
Can't say I was a fan of Ever17. That was a really good twist but when it came to explaining it their was a lot of contrived development. Generally not a fan of the writer. Looseboy, Ryukishi, Gen and Nasu are more my kinda thing
@Anon, it is nice that so many VNs are on steam but I wish they wouldn't be stupid with the whole no adult content thing. Not so much for myself but to prevent idiots from writing negitives reviews because the game doesn't have sex. VNs can grip you in a way anime simply can't and while they require pathence and time those can be some pretty powerful stories.
@Aidan, I am so happy steam's so VN-friendly now. I think it's a very good type of media. Like anime, it has nice visuals, music and some movement but also the inner monologue and text amount of books. It's the perfect combination. Plus, the routes, which are often puzzle pieces and PoVs you have to go through to understand the whole story. True routes like the one of Ever17 blew my mind.
Hopefully the two VNs I bought of steam turn out better. Tokyo Babel is supposed to be alright and I heard really good things about Himawari.
I am about a third of the way through the game and really not much of worth has happened. The concept is interesting but the execution is sorely lacking.
I went in expecting it to be a mixed bag and it's pretty below my expectations. It's just not really well written and the protagonist is a moron. THere isn't really routes and instead you are pretty much stuck with his childhood friend as the main love interest. Problem with that is her character begins and ends with loving the main.
@Aidan, damn. 11Eyes is on my reading list as well. Although I almost expected it to not be as good as I thought it'd be (back then). Guess I would have enjoyed it if I was able to read it while the (shitty) adaption aired, maybe I have seen/read too many series by now. Guess I'll still give it a try some day though.
@Anon, I haven't heard the OST or watched the intro video. I only know it be reputation and have decided to walk into it as blind as I can. Still slightly worried as I was somewhat looking forward to reading 11Eyes for a couple of years and now that I am reading it it's well...not good.
@Aidan, same here. I was waiting years for this, since I saw the intro video for the first time. Also, that OST!
HelghastKillzone
Youjo Senki is already leagues better than Izetta. It's going to be top anime of forever and ever. (maybe not)
And finally Dies Irae is funded. May actually be able to play and finish the game before the anime airs. If the hype is real behind this baby it could be a new personal favorite Visual Novel of mine. Already looking promising with it being like a cross between Hellsing and Fate/Stay Night. Two things I most certainly like.
@Masky, in regards to style over substance thats where im at with Gurrne Lagann.
Yeah, I'll probably watch the next episode to see whether it can redeem itself. Hopefully it can but considering 1st episodes usually get a lot of budget, there's some severe doubt in there.
I actually argee with character designs and voices are bad in regards to female characters. Still the next episode might change your mind if we get more into the main characters head.
It's boring
Also, it seems I disagree with a lot of people in thinking Youjo Senki will be a massive trainwreck. The character designs are awful, the voice acting is mismatched but most of all the premise just seems so very dumb. If I wanted to watch a badass kill people I'd go watch Hellsing or Drifters, because at least those don't have some op, disproportionate loli as the mc.
Gets even more complicated when you account for Satire and Parody. You could equally argue all examples listed as being as such.
Little Witch Academia is a decontruction of Harry Potter....I don't believe that but honestly if I tried I could put some reasoning behind that statement.
In the end, it always comes down to opinion (as with every discussion about anime, for some reason). You could spin any and every series as a "deconstruction", which is why people shy away from using the word. You could argue NGE, Madoka and Re:Zero are all deconstructions yet also argue Gundam, Precure and SAO are depending on what points you weigh more importantly.
Like, if deconstruction is supposed to be just "break the elements and then play story how it would realistically go down" well I haven't watched NGE, but as far as I know it does have stuff that isn't typical to mecha genre besides the "It would fuck up kids" thing plus "realistically how it would play out" is pretty subjective thing. I mean, its mainly about how cynical bastard the writer is :P
Like I said, I don't fully agree with it because I find video's speaker's attitude annoying, but I found it semi convincing. Main thing I don't find convincing about it is that I don't think its hard to turn video's own arguments agaisnt it and say that by its own logic NGE isn't deconstruction either, like Aidan just said earlier
And I don't really have energy for checking out the "correct" one. If there even is one. Anyway, the hipster video I was talking about was titled "What Actually Is A Deconstruction?" if you want to check it out.
Hmm, well, it does depend on definition you use. Like if you use "realistic" thing, well, Magical Girl shows don't usually have "You turn into monsters" thing going on and reason why NGE's pilots go crazy is from dangerous situations rather than evas making them do so. But honestly, I don't really have strong opinion on matter since word seems to be one of those with several different meaning
for me Madoka IS a deconstruction of Magical girl, and yeah like what Aidan said
I think part of Utena is a deconstruction of "prince riding horse and save the girl" because that notion is just a foundation for Utena to become a prince herself and save other girl. That's breaking it apart and resemble it again in its own way. Don't have to be dark/ don't have to be real either
@Masky, That's just debating semantics. Besides that difinition would pretty much mean that Neon Genesis Evangelion isn't a decontruction either. Madoka isn't a decontruction because it's dark. It's more in its aspects of criticising why a girl should throw her ordinary life away for something as dangerous as being a magical girl. It does take plenty of the typical tropes and turn them on its head
@Masky: Genre deconstruction is such a tricky word that I normally try to avoid using because there's really no set characteristic about the term and different people have different opinions about what constitute "deconstruction". For me, I disagree that deconstruction have to be dark and real, hmm can't say it well but I will give you an example:
But yeah, I guess I could try to find the video if you guys are interested, though like I said, I got hipsterish feel from the video and felt rather annoyed through it even though I did get what the point was and found it sort of convincing besides my annoyance
(not that liking NGE is hipsterish, its just that I find NGE to be more style than substance sort of series <_< Anyway, guy didn't dislike madoka or anything, he just seemed to dislike people using word deconstruction wrong in his opinion)
(especially with how much they seemed to praise Neon Genesis Evangelion)
I mean, I think the guy was being somewhat hipsterish, but its true the being darker take on genre isn't same as deconstructing the genre
@AidanAK47: Some other guy on youtube did video that had actually pretty good point about how Madoka isn't really deconstruction, if you go by definition of "Break it down to parts and then play them straight to show how horrifying it would be in real life"
Gente - Ristorante no Hitobito
If anything its the hate I have for certain characters that makes it more effective.
The obsessional level of attachment is just uncomfortable to me, I don't want to get THAT attached to a non-real character.
Its literally just a case of "Okay lets look at this picture of this character, she looks interesting, no feelings or expression from me, apply this fetish, fap, get release, go home. "
Or drooling/dribbling/heavy breathing/grinning over the characters. I abhor alot of the anime girls I find attractive or am indifferent, even when looking at ecchi/hentai drawings I'm straight and clinical with it.
I mean to each their own. But I really hate the level of emotion/devotion to moe/finding the characters attractive. Such as celebrating their birthdays, going on about how cute/hot they are, how important it is that they're virgins. Or not being being self-aware of how irritating the characters are.
Anime hipster is pretty accurate. His general treatment of the current state of anime is annoying, as is his obsession with moe. Maybe its cause I cant stand moe most of the time, but it bugs me.
@Lenlo: Essentially my brothers view on digibro.
@Aidan: I don't usually feel the need to correct errors in your reviews as the errors are generally un-important, but I think you meant to say apprentices rather than appearences in the Rakugo review, just bringing that up as it felt like kind of a throw off.
Which is kinda like saying Madoka wasn't a magical girl deconstruction because Sailor Moon and Nanoha had dark elements too.
Went and read the reddit comments on it and seems I was right on the money.
@Lenlo, He's basically a anime hipster. For example, I saw a thumbnail of his which had Saitama on it and below it "Is There Meaning In "Subverting" Shounen Tropes?" and I thought "Okay, he's going to go on about how OPM isn't subversive and then list a bunch of arbitrary examples in an attempt to redefine what is actually subversive"
I have lots of issues with Digibro. Dude has some good points, but other very horrible ones. Some issues he feels strongly about and gets kinda biased on imo.
acca looks visually interesting, and I personally really dig this kind of show, but it seems that it's definitely not for everyone
Time to live up to my word. Four posts incoming.
Man, Little witch Academia was so good. I disagree with the whole Digibro thing about being able to recognise a great show in it's first episode but watching this makes me think that this really is going to be something special.
Alright, gonna put in effort today and have 3 or 4 first impressions posts done. That should knock out near half the season.
Had a flip through handshakers. Garish is the word I'd use to describe it visually, it takes you out of the show.
ASuperMario From the first minute I can already tell it's by the same people that made K. Those colour filters and the extremely jarring/obvious city CGI is unmistakable.
Hand Shakers, literally makes my hands shaking. It's an abosolute mess. Highly recommended to check it out because it's so terrible it's great to watch
Vonter212
Yeah, and it's also a literal woman in refrigerator plot device, since that the thing that pushes the story forward.
I'd say that having to hide your sister's body in fridge would count as daaaaaaark and edgy, but when the body is wearing only underwear, and for some reason main character put metal things in fridge to keep body standing(I guess to not knock fridge open from inside?) I think it goes to "exploitation" you are talking about
Vonter212
@Masky - Did someone said doing dark things for drama? That's the bread and butter to get despair. Unless it's for the sake of perversion. Then it's just exploitation.
@Masky: His other works dead tube and scumbag go further in the unhinged regard.
*relies on easy "let's do [x dark thing] for drama!" thing
Geez, Mayonaka no X Giten is fricking disturbing/disgusting ._. I'm pretty sure that writing relies on e, but I can't help but think mangaka is trying to make corpses sexy.
I found Onihei to be quite good, actually one of the most solid new episode I watched this new season. Guys, check them out
I just hope it doesn't fall into the same misstep Kabaneri or Inuyasha or Bleach fall by making a villain so over the top that it crossed the line of not having a satisfying downfall.
@Vonter I think they just moved on. I lost interest rather quickly and I guess even the fans did that at some point, like with some other long-running series. There is much more new and more direct "fujo" stuff out there, many of them probably switched. Don't know what happens in the manga but maybe the story got worse or contained things some people didn't like.
January will be loli dictator month (for me) :p. World Conquest Zvezda Plot, Youjo Senki: Saga of Tanya the Evil (new), Seraph of the End. For some reason I stumble into three curious series with little power hungry girls. If I can ask, why did Owari Seraph's hype died, I remember back it was mentioned more often. It still has the fujoshi fanart but still, I don't see people bringing it up.
@CATski: well, if you didn't like its first 3 episodes I dont think the rest gonna change your mind. Have you finished Erased then? How did you like it?
But I understand it's difficult to speak in front of camera, get some time to get used to it
@kaiser: I won't commend on poem as I'm terrible at it myself but younneed to work more on presentation Kaiser. Small little things like looking directly at the camera or say "thanks for listening" in the end can connect you to the audience better
Ok. I'll give the thing another chance. *clicks torrent* XD. CATski.
@Topgavin: You might like centaur no nanami if you like demi-chan.
Damn...repeated myself =<
There are these things called slam sessions done in bars where people get up and read out stuff in front of a crowd and read stuff out. Actually watching rakugo made me think about practicing for that kind of thing.
@Mario: the video I did was of me reading out a short piece of writing I did, a poem. lol I uploaded it to the wrong youtube account too I just realized =P
[link src="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypBZ2hBDBYs&t=11s
I"] was recording this from my mothers laptops inbuilt cam while reading off my desktop.
@Kaiser: I think it's a good idea for you to try out reviewing movies/stuffs in youtube channel. I'll be very interesting to listen to them
@Topgavin: Agree. Demi-chan was so charming. Definately one of my favorite so far this new season
Demi-chan's first episode was good. Like, really really good. That blonde-haired girl was hilarious, the teacher-student relationship between the MC and the girls is really interesting and the social/practical problems the demi's face make it look like my favorite show so far.
CATski
Ah... ok. Is it really that good or it's just one of those "artsy" animes that tend to get overrated by their ardent fans? I didnt find the rakugo bit interesting.... probably the weakest aspect of the show for me.
@Aidan: Why did I read that chapter. Why did I do that to myself.
Admittedly yes the premise is not for everyone, but if you stick with it, the flashback arc had some good character work in there.
CATski
Rakugo has a season 2? I watched ep 1 - 3 of season 1 then promptly deleted it. The loud "yankee" dude was annoying. And the anime was boring.
Oh man, I've been thinking lately of trying to start some kind of youtube channel. I did a few trial run videos. Its much much harder than it looks, didn't realize how nervy being in front of a video camera was.
*a declining art and rakygo halls are closing down
As the show continues to mention how "its declining art", that got me thinking of the modern day, how while things like tv and cinemas probably hurt attendances for rakugo performances, the internet has replaced theaters .
Ah, now I've watched it. It'll be interesting to see Yotaro's relation to sukeroku's daughter develop. By all intents he should be an irritating character and not as interesting a yakumo based on his personality, but I can't help but like him, example of a goofball character done right.
ElDlive is looking good
I haven't gotten around to rakugo's second seasons first episode yet =<

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 14

It was inevitable that Yotaro’s past with the Yakuza would come back to haunt him but boy did it really bite him in the ass. I was wondering as to how the show would work with Yotaro and give him conflict but then this episode comes along and gives him plenty to worry about. He’s […]

Little Witch Academia – 02[Pappiliodya]

I may regret choosing to cover this series as what makes it great is a quality that cannot really be held up to professional scrutiny. Much like Triggers other works, it’s not what’s being presented that matter but rather how it’s presented. You can make the argument that Trigger doesn’t necessarily innovative but rather take […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 13 [Black River (part 2) – Beyond the Door]

This week we have 2 disjoined chapters, which are different in tones and more importantly in their point of view. We go through the first section from Smith-san perspective detailing his own thoughts towards the match against Gotou, and the latter part Rei took the stage, being on his way to challenge Gotou in next […]

Saga of Tanya the Evil – 02[Prologue]

As I initially thought, this series becomes a whole lot better when you can see the disparity between the main protagonists thoughts and how those around her view them. The first episode jumped ahead in the story to where Tanya had established herself somewhat and I believe the intent was to mislead the audience with […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2, Chaos;Child, Marginal#4 KISS Kara Tsukuru Big Bang and Scums Wish

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2 Short Synopsis: Kazama stands trial after accidentally blowing up a lord’s manor while saving the town. This show certainly hasn’t lost it’s charm. I had the biggest smile on my face while watching and it even managed to get me laughing out loud at points. I will admit […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Onihei, Gabriel DropOut and ACCA – 13-ku Kansatsu-ka

Onihei Short Synopsis: A captured thief joins the police to hunt down his old leader. For a studio’s first work this is quite a solid offering. The beginning reminded me of samurai champloo though this seems more a traditional samurai story. Animation isn’t anything too impressive but it does the job and there is some […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Hand Shakers, Kemono Friends and Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon

Hand Shakers Short Synopsis: A boy holds the hand of a girl he finds in a hospital room and ends up in a supernatural battle to the death. GoHands, you know what would be great? If you know, instead of slapping on lens flares and colour filters all over the place, you just don’t do […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Little Witch Academia, Idol Jihen and elDLIVE

Little Witch Academia Short Synopsis: A normal girl goes to attend a academy for witches You know if the remaining 24 episodes are as great as this one this anime may end up on of my all time favorites list. Animation is great and full of personality, story is simple but fun and I had […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Spiritpact, Demi-chan wa Kataritai and Chain Chronicle – Haecceitas no Hikari

Spiritpact Short Synopsis: A boy is killed by a truck and finds himself teamed up with an exorcist as a ghost. Sorry China, by all means keep trying but this isn’t going to top Japanese animation any time soon. So what’s wrong? Well the animation is fairly basic, the characters are annoying and the comedy […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100