Posted by psgels on 30 October 2009 with categories: Top 10 Anime

A few weeks ago, there were a lot of requests for a this, so here you go: in preparation of Halloween, here is the list of my 10 favourite horror series. It was an interesting list to compile, because even though I’m a big fan of horror, I never really thought about my favourite series of the genre.

Of course, there are many different kinds of horror. Anime is hardly ever truly scary, but it does have a wide variety of horror series with a genuinely creepy atmosphere, and that’s what I was looking for when compiling this list. This can be done with gore, scary images, monsters, but also psychological horror, and the classic Japanese style of horror that tries to creep the viewer out with a tight storytelling. I tried to include a bit of everything in this list, because I don’t believe that there’s one sub-genre that’s inherently better than the others.

Again, like with my other lists I’d love to see some other people’s top 10 (or whatever suits you best) horror-series. I’m also interested about other sorts of Top 10 lists you want to see on this blog. I might as well try to create a different Top 10 list every month.

Some series who didn’t make the list but deserve a honorable mention: Hakaba Kitarou (for those who are interested in the combination between horror and comedy), Betterman (a bit long-winded, but pretty nice survival horror) and Mouryou no Hako (has some horror elements, but not enough to really make it to this list).

#10: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni

Higurashi’s biggest focus isn’t horror, but that doesn’t mean that it doesn’t have a number of genuinely creepy episodes in its first season. Especially because at that point, you’ll have no idea what the heck is going on, which only contributes to the atmosphere. It has gore, characters going insane and a setting in which you can trust nobody, all packaged under such a seemingly cute exterior.

#9: Boogiepop Phantom

Boogiepop Phantom is really more of subtle psychological kind of horror, but like Higurashi it also really likes to confuse the heck out of its viewer, and takes this sense of mystery further than any series I’ve seen. This, combined with a number of disturbing cases of messed-up personalities earned this series a place in this top 10.

#8: Kurozuka

So yeah, we all know what a mess Kurozuka ended up to be in the character-department, but as an action-horror series it truly shines. It had a really powerful set of visuals and a constantly tight atmosphere and some incredibly tense and well-written action scenes. Madhouse really knew how to make a huge visual spectacle out of it, and the genuinely creepy atmosphere made this into a unique series.

#7: Perfect Blue

This is the only movie I have on this list, but it really deserves to be here. This is everything that psychological horror should be, and Satoshi Kon succeeded in creating a schizophrenic and paranoid 90 minutes. It’s an excellent character-study of the darker sides about being an idol, dealing with obsessive fans and the like. While it’s not the best thing that Satoshi Kon has written, it still knows how to capture its audience and stands out as the best animated horror movie for me.

#6: Ayakashi ~ Japanese Classic Horror

Of course, this is one series that can’t be missing in a top-list of horror anime. This actually was the series that introduced me to this great genre, and it really shows what you can do with it. It consists out of three stories, and while the second one isn’t exactly impressive, the first and third really manage to deliver in disturbing antics and very tense storytelling. They’re both well built up, and especially the third story Bake Neko (which would later spawn its own series called Mononoke) is storytelling at its finest.

#5:Paranoia Agent

More Satoshi Kon, as he takes another shot at psychological horror. This series was supposed to be a collection of stories that didn’t fit into his movies, and the result is a number of excellent character-studies about a collection of people who breaking down mentally. This is of course great horror-material, and he really manages to combine this with this creepy atmosphere in which you never know what’s real and what’s just an illusion. It’s a show that loves to play with irony, and another great horror recommendation.

#4: Gilgamesh

I’m still not sure why this series is so often hated, but I digress. At its core, Gilgamesh is a dark series with a constantly tight and cold atmosphere. Unlike the most of the above-mentioned series, the type of horror is nether gore, scary images or psychological, but instead it really tries to captivate its audience with its storytelling. It’s a series with a creative storyline that fits this type of series perfectly, resulting into an excellently creepy series.
(On a side-note: try finding a good image for this series. Thank you very much, Fate/Stay Night.)

#3: Jigoku Shoujo

Every episode of Jigoku Shoujo has pretty much the same concept: someone has a grudge on someone, someone accesses the Jigoku Shoujo Website, and someone gets sent to hell. But this series really makes use of this ritualistic set-up in its storytelling, again creating a very creepy atmosphere that never dies, even after 78 episodes. It’s a series that really knows how to build up its stories, and while they indeed may be hit or miss, this series however really hits hard and often enough.

#2: Shigurui

I think it was pretty obvious that Madhouse would end up dominating this top 10: five of these ten come from them, and Shigurui stands head and shoulders as their best work in terms of horror. It’s the only series that actually managed to freak me out while I was watching it, that’s how powerful the storytelling is. This series is absolutely brutal, and spares nobody: every single character is a huge bastard, and nobody gets spared when it comes to the incredibly well-drawn gore. Nothing is too much for this series and it shows this again and again and again. If you want to freak someone out, then this is my top recommendation for it.

#1: Ghost Hound

But in the end, nothing can beat Ghost Hound for me as my favourite horror-series. With its huge attention to detail in terms of psychology, it knows exactly what to do in order to create an incredibly creepy atmosphere, and on top of being an excellent psychology lesson, this series also really manages to create a unique atmosphere that attempts to do much more than being simply creepy. If you want to get in the mood for Halloween, then this is my top recommendation: Ghost Hound knows how to capture its audience, and it does so with a frightening consistency.

1. Chris says:

Bleh Higurashi, it needed a lot more creepy stuff because it failed in everything else, but it was entertaining.

Perfect Blue definitely belongs there, it’s an incredible horror movie. Doesn’t go to deep but deep enough to just be awesome. Plus it’s one of those shows that nonanime fans love.

Jigoku Shoujo is also just really awesome, it is episodic but sure does go over the edge at times.

And Ghost Hound is the only anime series to ever really creep me out, it really is the #1 horror anime out there.

Sadly you showed no love for Serial Experiments Lain or Vampire Princess Miyu =(

2. Gottis says:

I love, love, love Ghost Hound! *_* Sadly, I can’t put up a top 10 horror list, because I honestly haven’t watched 10 horror anime series. D: But I think Ghost Hound would have ended up at the top if I had. ^^

3. kbot says:

You need to check out Requiem from the Darkness. Strange and atmospheric, it always made me feel uneasy. The characters, however, felt genuine. It was almost as if I wanted to help them, but something was off, and I was scared to get involved. Peculiar, but excellent

4. Aoi says:

Where’s my Requiem from the Darkness/100 stories (Kousetsu Hyaku Monogatari) on the list? I’m disappoint.

5. psgels psgels says:

I was actually disappointed by 100 Stories. I heard all sorts of great comments about it, but in the end it was just a decent but formulaic horror-series. And while it was an interesting watch, it just wasn’t good enough for me to include it in this list.

6. reverse says:

awesome list, that a lot anime I haven’t watch. the only one I watch is Ayakashi

7. Aoi says:

@psgels
    >but in the end it was just a decent but formulaic horror-series

And yet you’ve rated Jigugo Shoujo so high. I don’t remember it being scary apart some minor episodes. Sad? Yes. Scary? No. Hell, higurashi had more successful moments that this one.

8. psgels psgels says:

True, Jigoku Shoujo was indeed formulaic, but it had enough to make up for it. I agree that it wasn’t scary, but to be honest 100 Stories was even less scary for me. It just had too little time to build up or do something with that formula, and in the end I got bored with the series near the final episodes, which was the complete opposite from Jigoku Shoujo. The only anime that I would truly consider scary would be Shigurui.

9. bateszi says:

One series that’s also probably worth being on this list is ‘Petshop of Horrors,’ which has a pretty rubbish first episode (it’s only four episodes in total) but has some thoroughly weird stuff (in a good way) later on– a certain episode about mermaids, in particular, is really disturbing!

Also, just wanted to add the spider-woman-thing from ‘Wicked City’ is pretty damn messed up! ‘Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust’ is a very good, traditional monster horror anime (as is the original Blood movie). Basically, anything directed by Yoshiaki Kawajiri is worth watching at Halloween!

10. Canne says:

Really nice list. I’ve watch only 5 titles from the topten and 3 titles I put on my ‘gonna watch someday list’. I suppose I’ll have to watch Ghost Hound soon because right now, I think Paranoia Agent deserves the top spot.

By the way, does your list include OVA or ONA? Kakurenbo: Hide & Seek has just crossed my mind.

11. elianthos says:

Among the ones you mentioned&I actually watched,
    1)Ghost Hound and
    2)Ayakashi_Japanese Classic Horror
    along with its spin-off
    3)Mononoke
    are the ones I enjoyed.
    Must check the titles by Satoshi Kon ^_^.
    I don’t recall you reviewing The Portrait of Petite Cossette trio of OVAs… in case you haven’t watched it I’d suggest you to look for it. It’s arsty, twisted, nightmare-ish and gorey . A love and horror/ghost story rolled into one.

12. Wyrdwad says:

Ooh, I agree with Batezsi about Petshop of Horrors – except that I actually think the first episode is the BEST of the four. (: Great anime, though, on the whole, and Count D is a fantastic character. (:

-Tom

13. Kamikazesim says:

Time to go download Ghost Hound now.

Out of all the shows on this list, the only one I haven’t seen/downloaded is Ghost Hound.

14. windy says:

The horror anime I liked the most are definitely (or will be for sure if they’re not finished yet, but clearly stand out among the best):

1) Higurashi no naku koro ni
    2) Higurashi no naku koro ni kai
    3) Umineko no naku koro ni
    4) Elfen lied ( awesome!!! And the music too, gloomy and nostalgic!)
    5)The Portrait of Petite Cosette
    6)Monster ( as psychologic horror is one of the best)
    7)Vampire Princess Miyu
    8)Pet’s shop of horror
    9)Jigoku shoujo (all of them, I loved the three seasons equally)
    10)Gilgamesh ( it was quite an enigmatic and powerful series, that I won’t forget easily)
    11)Le chevalier d’eon
    12) Red garden ( the series, not the movie that I just hated)

I also loved ” Night head genesis” and ” Moryou no hako”( I have to watch this one entirely subbed because it was really hard for me to understand the plot and I couldn’t enjoy it at the fullest since I didn’t get the major parts!) By the way, I couldn’t sit through ” ghost hound”, I really can’t make myself to watch it and don’t understand why you all like it so much, maybe I should first see the end , but the first episodes are quite unbearable for me to watch, it doesn’t even sound like an animated series but like some kind of experimental project.

15. signorRossi says:

Great characterization of Shigurui. :) It really surprises you that it still can increase the amount of gore and madness from episode to episode… ;) If you want to be really scared again go for the manga, it has a few untold side stories and a few chapters adding to the main story, but it is still unfinished.

16. windy says:

Oh, and I forgot to mention ” bokura no” ( don’t know it can be considered clearly as a horror series, and ” basilisk” , (also one of the best!) and ” Fate stay night”, that has a great amount of horror elements in it.

17. Meep says:

I’m glad you included Higurashi–it’s fantastic.

Interesting that you mention Ghost Hound. I think I’ll watch that. ^.^ Lol and this isn’t exactly scary but I have some episodes of Hakaba Kitarou to watch too. =P And Requiem from the Darkness.

18. d says:

what about ghost hunt?

19. Reltair says:

I remember sometimes watching Ghost Hound at night and I would get somewhat freaked out. o_O

20. Jabba says:

Have you ever tired Ghost Hunt?
    Let’s just say that… That show had me screaming in fright… In a brightly lit room, in the middle of the afternoon, while hanging onto my friend… XD

Really got freaked out by the Doll Arc and threw in the towel… >_

21. Shippoyasha says:

Shigurui would be tied for #1 with Ghost Hound for me. Ghost Hound was right scary until it tried to have some silly, binding adventurous story on top. Totally flopped in using its creepiness for a creepy ending. But in the end, we got TURKEYS WITH SOULS.

But Shigurui… ugh… yeah. It’s just artistic in how depraved and horrifying it truly is. The final ‘boss battle with the old swordmaster’ is just terrifying from the beginning to the end.

22. Oh thanks for this top 10 xD I don’t know some of them, I should check them out~

I can’t think of my own top 10 . . . it’s so hard to rank xD hahaha!

23. Tk007 says:

Shigurui is the number 1 horror for me. I’m someone who likes to see gore in anime yet I find myself unable to stomach the gore in this series.

24. Pax says:

Most anime that classify as horror can be somewhat creepy,but almost never scary,if i want something scary i would not choose an anime,still your list is interesting and most of those anime (at least those i am familiar with) have their creepy moments,Higurashi actually has even some scary parts but only in the 1st arc.

Also i would like to mention Ghost Hunt(it has its good moments) and also Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust…maybe also Serial Experiments Lain,it’s not scary but it’s quite disturbing sometimes.

25. jeff says:

monster is also a good psychological/somewhat creepy anime

26. AKI says:

i was probably wondering where are: elfen lied? night head genesis? ghost hunt?

27. psgels psgels says:

Night Head Genesis… I ended up not putting that on this list because I didn’t know whether it really classified as horror or not.

I was also at first very impressed with the huge gore of Elfen Lied. Then I watched Shigurui and it suddenly looked much less impressive.

And Ghost Hunt would have gotten on this list if it weren’t for the large number of fairly weak arcs and lackluster lead character.

28. cad says:

Well one thing that might be interesting, is to compile a ‘top 10 horrifying horror animé’. Since, from what I understand, this list is more about your top 10 favourite horror animé, rather than the top 10 horror animé you consider the best/scariest. (Well actually I’m not completely sure from your post if these are your top 10 favourite or top 10 scariest, or both…)

29. Anne says:

Ive haven’t seen much horror anime, I’ve seen Blood+ and from what I’ve seen I really like it. Ever since I can remember I saw this on t.v and don’t remember the station but i was visiting my aunt and there was a part where there was a person in a subway I think and its a girl maybe, and the person gets choked by another by a chain n it was gorey and stuff, and I remember that I absolutly LOVED the anime. I have NO idea what it’s about, but if anyone can help PLEASE send me an email!!!!!!!

30. un kn own says:

Well first of all, everything that you put on the top 10 are fantastic. But you didn’t at all give higurashi the crdit it deserves, watch the entire series over again when you get at least 20 y/o when your brains fully developed. Higurashi no naku koro ni-kai-rei all were very serious in depth and very complicated. And the story line never wavered for a second. always stayed the same. If you couldn’t comprehend it. You are not intelligent lol

31. Mat says:

Ghost Hound was creepy all throughout and got me thinking almost the whole time. The ending totally ruined it. Won’t be in my number 1 spot though. Glad Jigoku and Higurashi made it in your list. Will check out Perfect blue & Paranoia Agent. Thanks for this!!

32. Horrror fan says:

Ayakashi is my favourite!!Bake Neko (or Goblin cat) as I saw has the most superb and captivating animation theme. The anime has a sophisticated touch to it and the charaters are absolutely flawless ,according to me. It is truly a crowning jewel in the Ayakashi series. Sadly ‘Goddess of Dark Tower’ was a huge disappointment…I have heard of so many vampire tales that this case of ‘forbidden love’ grows naught with me

33. josfx says:

How about Bokurano? there isn’t much gore but it is a good psychological anime

34. I think that “Mononoke” the spin-off series of one of the “Ayakashi” arcs, should definitely be mentioned alongside (if not above) “Ayakashi.” It was far more complex and disturbing/psychotic with elements of complex mystery.

35. Jasper says:

Even though this is an old list check out Another it may topple everything on this list. That is a true horror anime. It has the feel of The Shining and Final Destination along with some really great character development. Plus a great mystery aspect to it as well.

36. lol says:

i dont think ghost hound is horror it isn’t scary at all

37. dude says:

Cmon Tokyo Goul deserves to be at least
    In the top 5 of that list..

38. dude says:

Cmon guys ,
    Tokyo Goul deserves to be at least
    In the top 5 of that list..

39. Woah, thats a solid list! I didn’t see only Shigurui.
    btw. Photos are not loading

And its quite natural.
@Mario: Florida project succeeds through its free flowing nature/narrative and manages to be hilarious all the while managing to never allow you forget its also a kitchen sink drama, the best performances come from William Dafoe and the girl. At the end it gut punches the audience emotionally.
@Kaiser: also expecting Florida Project, 3 Billboards, and The Shape of Water in my end
Eh, Kino was a bit too slight this week.
@Mario: Just Lu, disaster artist and happy end left now for the year. Maybe the new Godzilla.
@Mario: I felt that Sion Soni's Noriko's dinner table did the irl acting thing better.
@Kaiser: I'm going to watch The Killing of a Sacred Deer. Consider I regarded The Lobster as one of the best film of that year and Dogtooth and Alps impressed me a lot; I have high hope for this one
Mooooommm, I want my Lu over the wal subs and I want them now OMO!
Niello
...Can't torrent where I am, grrrr.
I'm quite fond of Go Nagai's devilman, so I'll be interested in seeing Yuasa's adaptation of it whenever it comes out.
@Kasier: ha! thanks Kaiser. Finally it's out... gonna download it now
@Mario: Here is a link to Night is short walk on girl English subbed: https://nyaa.si/view/979508
@Mario: OR JUST MONIKA Amirite =P
in all seriousness though, I hope they can use one week break to smooth out their production.
so Just Because's taking a break this week. The reason: just because
Mhmhmm Inuyashiki was great this week. I just love this show.
The hell- no didn't know that. I really wouldn't have expected tribute songs to this series
Niello
@Amagi: Did you know this exists? And it's by Igorrr no less. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhQQ57N-9ys&list=PL9ku-W0xIzd4EYUL9bUG2CZXBIy7cCiSk
Niello
And yes, I'm just waiting and waiting for the day the anime get announced. No doubt it'll becomes a classic.
Niello
@Eoghan, I don't think it becomes a mess though, the story threads all come together amazingly well.
I too recommend at least watching 2nd episode of Tanya before passing judgement.

Looking forward to the Urasawa manga as well!
SuperWooper
@Anonymous: Thanks! Reading blog posts used to be my go-to distraction when I took breaks at work. Now I have to take breaks from writing them. It's a grind at times, but Star Crossed ought to be alive for a while yet.
Adaptions for series like these only work when they're passion projects. If they're not they end up like the Dies Irae anime.
It's another one of those series I really wish to see as an anime with music, movement and so on. But same as with Made in Abyss, it needs a cometent director and one that is in love with the work or else it will be a letdown
@Niello: Yes and I fucking love it. The gritty style, the setting, the characters and designs and so on. @Kaiser didn't know she was under Nihei that's cool. I love these sketchy styles
@Niello: yes and more people I believe should so, despite that its kind of become a mess, I take the thing as one big black comedy. The woman who drew it interestingly enough apprenticed under Tsutomu Nihei.
Niello
Anyone here read Dorohedoro?
Just passing by to say like the place, it's kinda perfect to read for whenever I take a break. And most importantly I haven't read anything stupid. Hopefully it won't die anytime soon:0
Masky - Overlord has an OP isekai, yet I find that series compelling do to the world building, and how even with power and influence, the MC plays like a chessmaster and not brute force his way into doing something.
@Masky, I wouldn't write off Tanya so fast. Make it to episode 2 at least.
I feel I need to actually properly get into Godzilla for some frame of reference before the anime film, I've only seen the new one and the original.
Or the Hiroshima movie
I know you can't have everything but considering that we currently have Blame, the Itoh movies, Lu over the Wall, Godzilla or Napping Princess this is rather a let down
Meh, not really happy about the anime film festival decision here - a few good movies are there: heaven's feel, motherfucka (from the tekkonkinkreet guy) and another one that sounds great but other than that a lot specials like conan movie #718 or something, the third part (why?) of persona 3 and other movies that are just specials of series I dropped at some point
*WWI
I mean, op isekai mc is boring whether they are hero or villain, thats how tired I'm of that trope at least
So was wondering what was up with that Tanya the Evil show and was disappointed to find out its "Isekai were MC is evil and WWII esque fantasy setting"
dragon ball kai
dragon ball z
@Mario: That Godard biopic you mentioned is showing tonight and on sunday afternoon, at the very least I'll be checking out Le Chinoise in preparation for it.
@Kaiser: and right after I just watched Loving Vincent in theatre, it's available online
@Amagi: Blame! got released ages ago and no one watched it.
@Mario: Out in cinemas in Dublin in 3 weeks though, might aswell wait.
Also Lu over the Wall is out, with Russian subtitle. So anyone here who can understand Russian, you're in luck
@Kaiser: Thanks, I love quite many anime movies. Guess I have something to watch this weekend.
Not many I am afraid. Though I do like it's music.
who is fairy tail fan here
For those interested anime Godzilla is out in a few weeks. Also Genocidal organ, napping princess and in this corner of the world are out as is the Fate/ilya movie.
I'm interested enough to read more of that Urasawa manga.
I don't point out errors (although its part of my job at work to lol) but I feel that one thing was noticeable in the Kino review, soap instead of soup is mentioned.
Eh, I quite like it when anything deals with religion or conviction in a mature way, it makes me feel things.
Not really keen on following a Urasawa manga while it's ongoing considering how much of a slow burn his stories usually are.
To the English only people: the Urasawa manga is translated into English now - it's on Mangastream (so beware of the watermark, but better than nothing)
The anime?
... still on course with the anime (my phone acting up again)
@afgm: welcome back mate. It has been awhile. Hope you're
@Amagi, The sign post with Iyami's teeth symbol read something like Buddhist reseach facility, which only makes it weirder.
Also that Iyami clone seems to be the same as the running guy on page 2 (which was also the promo page posted on sites like ANN)
Thank you very much anon. I love how international this chat is. But what you said makes the story feel even weirder. Really wonder what this is about but I can't say I am not interested now
This is weird, really weird.
[spoiler] As expected, now he's in another trouble. ...He mistook a crow for a blue bird that will bring happiness. And then we go back to the scene at the beginning when he hallucinate about someone calling. ...Is that Iyami from Osomatsu-san?
[spoiler]Then because Trump is currently popular, their plan to is mass produce the mask with the guy's factory? (He's totally getting dupe isn't e?)
[spoiler] The wife won a lottery and got a free vacation ticket to a luxurious cruise ship. She then left the husband with another guy. The Trump parody hag person is Beverly Duncan. Then one of the husband coworker put on a mask of Trump and start mocking.
afgm
I feel like the site is finally coming back into its own :)
afgm
(and great old writers)
afgm
Great new writers on the site
[spoiler] He's trying to look at tax avoidance and discuss it to his fam. The turns out the gov start checking so that plan was a bust. Now they are looking at potential confiscations, including their flip flop factory.
[Spoiler] So the guy seem to be having some kind of hallucination of someone calling him, even though there's no one in that direction.
@Amagi "but it's in Thai", :)
I am really looking forward to the Pluto anime. But I guess it won't come earlier than spring 2018 or something.
If it was Japanese I'd at least understand a few parts (and almost everything if it was French) but now I have not the slightest idea what this is about but it does look interesting. I also liked Urasawa's earlier one shot. The one after Billy
Not sure if I am allowed to link scans so here an indirect (last post) one I found, but it's in Thai (I hope someone who understands it will translate that chapter into English) https://www.reddit.com/r/manga/comments/780rve/sl_how_long_until_we_see_the_1st_chapter_of_naoki/
It shows a lot of shots though that bring back memories of Urasawa's earlier works. Its great that he's going weird; Urasawa is one of the best at producing unique series, even if his methodical writing and storytelling style is always evident.
Is it Mujirushi? I saw some French advert for it, (nothing said except that it's launching soon), but I can't find anything else on it.
There is a (sadly, non-English) scan for Urasawa's new manga and it looks weird. Hundreds of masks of some presidential candidate that looks like a female Trump and a weird and shady guy at the end.
That said, why is PUBG on any of these lists. Its still in beta
Horizon on the other hand is easily understood and fits the open world mold well. I like Nier more, but Horizon is still a really good game.
Everyone knows it exists, but not everyone likes it/could finish it/understands it.
Thats the thing, it still is a niche. Its in the same category of Souls games now
Niello
Nier may not be a new IP, but it's an IP that finally rise from obscurity after being a really niche cult hit for years.
Niello
Why would being weird a negative for Nier? Doesn't that imply creativity?
I suppose because Horizon is a new IP and also less weird than Nier. I haven't played it, but presentation alone has marked a great impression of that game.
Niello
Why is Nier in only 3 categories and Horizon Zero Dawn so many even where it's not deserve?
Niello
I still think Maho Yome is super overrated. The show so far has been more about spectacles than anything. I get it, the manga is pretty good, still not one nearly even one of the best though.
PUBG I feel its an odd choice. Mainly because it's the only game listed that I wasn't aware it existed.
The game awards are near, and so here are the nominations for all categories:
KT Here. they did not force it. They let the circumstances do the talking and it was powerful.
KT Here: Yes psgels is a man, yes for a long time I was under the impression he was a woman. Now and Then, Here and There is indeed excellent. The thing was exactly that, a frank depiction of what child soldiers go through. Considering how most shounen shows are essentially about kids engaging in war, the frank and gritty depictions was welcome if dis-concerning. And as Super pointed out they did
Yeah, I can give the show a full review (says the guy who is currently behind on his weekly post). But be mindful that as this show is in my top 10 anime, my rating might be even higher than psgels' (Usually my taste is different than his but in Now and Then we are pretty much on the same page)
The shounen element is for me, intentional as Now and then plays by the typical shounen rules (with a bery typical shounen protagonist) entirely in its first episode before slaming every brutal things towards him. Yep, they imply many dark contents make it much more disturbing. That girl (I think her name is Mary)'s circumstance ripped my heart
Nielllo
@Mario: I'd be interest in that! The atmosphere to me is like Jing the Bandit King but less surreal and more shounen.
@Mario: The scene where the girl is raped/abused in the prison. It stands out for the fact they imply it rather than showing.
Actually, I can re-watch it over the weekend and give it a full review. Again, it has been awhile so I'm intrigued to see how the show's holding up for me now
They're brutal but not for the sake of being brutal, I never feel the show as heavy handed on its brutality, or sugarcoating the optimistism of the main character. The show is about the scar of war and for that imo they really deliver the message
That's what happen when I prepared to write a long comment, but work held me up so I had to cut it short. It's been awhile since I last saw Now and Then, but I feel the show has a frank and down to earth depection of the terror of war...
Nielllo
@SuperMario, You'll need to explain it to me man...
@Psgels is woman
Really???
@Niello: i love Now and Then. One of the rare series that I rated 10/10. I feel all the drama is raw, and effective
Nielllo
The last time I check, the scanlation group doesn't have the translator position filled up. At this point I'm probably going to order the remaining volumes at some point and just try to read it in Japanese. The worse thing is it's a josei so the text doesn't have furigana and I'll be stuck with just Kanji.
Nielllo
That sums up my feeling for Now and Then, Here and There really well.I took a look at the raw of the last chapter and it pretty much ended like how I think it would (mostly the epilogue, so not much spoiler)
With how slow the updates are for Amatsuki's manga I will probably re-re-read the whole thing again when it ever finishes. I disliked the protaganist of now and then here and there , while I did enjoy the misery the characters went through as it made for good drama and that dictator guy was suitably effective, I never got the FEELs watching it.
Nielllo
My taste generally align well with psgels (hurray for seeing potential in Amatsuki? that one surprised me, really didn't expect a 90/100, not complaining of course), but can someone explain to me, the appeal of Now and Then, Here and There?
*are many
I suppose we do live in the introvert age, so there probably are who have plenty of time to burn.
I agree about the having more time when your young thing definitely though, I'd argue I probably had too much of it, we probably don't use that time as well as we should come to think of it looking back.
Which means I also have more time because I'm not in a relationship.
I know this will sound terrible, but I don't really bother associating with women beyond necessary interaction.
*or hikkimori
I'm not upset about this, just means theres extra time to be filled because everyones too pre-occupied in their spare time.
I save well and don't have many people to buy for , I also pirate everything.
I wouldn't call myself a NEET of hikkikomori, but genuinely do have absolutely no life, so I pretty much only leave my home for part time work/food/cinema trips. I don't party or drink and I see old friends once or twice a year (They've all moved), maybe my brother slightly more but not as often as most people would.
@Vyse: haha, you have a wild imagination. I'm pretty sure he's man
@anon1561372: pretty much what Kaiser said. He did came back a few months ago for monthly summaries but it seems life's swallowing him again. Would love to see him back to be honest
@Aidan: well, I'm at a stage where I don't have either enough time or money or anything concrete for my life. So I envy those who have plenty times to burn
Psgels professional and social life became more demanding and had a bout of writers block. Going by the photograph and voice on some of the podcasts he did, psgels is very much a man.
VyseLegendaire
psgels is a female
@SuperMario Where did he go? Did he just stop completely?
Well his posts were not as long as ours and I think he did them mostly in his secondary school years and you have plenty of time to burn back then. I remember I used to make a point of finishing games 100% back then and I replayed a ton of them over and over again.
And back in the day, psgels could blog like 3 or 4 posts per day, many of them on the same day of its airing. How the hell could he do that consistently for almost 10 years?
Fell asleep yesterday while writing Houseki review. Now that bastard will have to wait until later tonight (It's morning here). Apologize for that
Niello
Really? I thought the manga art is gorgeous. The beginning, not so much, but her art really improved. I love how whimsical it is. Other characters not so much, but Mahmut's design is really a step down from the manga.
ah you will hate me. Much as I love the story, I just cannot find the character art pleasing. On that one point for me the animated version was better. For example I much preferred the depiction of Einstein in the anime than in the manga. Now this is a personal thing, but I am shallow, and I do read manga partly for the art. So I am torn. I prefer the manga for the story but the anime for the art
Niello
@KTravlos: As a fan of the manga, I wouldn't say it's for us manga reader at all. I dropped this abomination long ago, I just can't stand it. It got butchered just like Amatsuki was, and tha's by the same director. I really really hope he never get to touch on an adaptation ever again.
also the Altai episode this week showed all the problems of the series. The pace was just too fast. Essentially this was just an episode for manga readers. Very very problematic
@SuperMario. I actually think that a double review of Altiar and AS would work better, as a way to talk a bit more expansively on the whole genre
Oh hey awesome, new black mirror episodes in December.
it's not really a plot twist, but it is a drastic change.
I honestly don't know how well the anime will handle it. I'd like to think they will surpass the manga because they put a lot of care into the scene. It involves a fight scene and they have been handling those well, so I'm hopeful.
@anon1558097: will that shock plot twist whatever-it-is even make it this season? I'll be honest but if I have to compare the current anime to what I've read from the manga so far (first few chapters), The manga is more inventive and awe-inspiring for me
@Mario: DON'T. I'm having a much better time enjoying the show ever since I stop comparing it to the manga. Still a shame I won't be getting the initial shock reaction from what's going to happen in the second half though.
Now you guys are really tempting me to read on the houseki manga, but I WON'T
I really wish that we could see more of the snail race things in houseki , the Gems and moon people have had their turn.
Honey and clover had a much stronger balance of humour and drama, with sugatsu I feel its the drama that stands out best.
Okay major major MAJOR houseki spoilers....sensei is really....
.....
.....Saitama from onepunch man.
@Mario: I've only seen the first season.
@Mario: And anyone who breaks your Dia(mond) must be destroyed.
@Kaiser: just look at the lastest episode (27), juggling, bouncy, silly in the first half and then emotional depth in the second. Well, that's a 3-gatsu's tone we pretty come to expect now
@Kaiser: ANYONE DARE TO MAKE MY HINA CRIES WILL HAVE TO PAY. I share the exact same sentiment with Rei
I will say this...it is...an un-evenly paced series...but always jolts you before you get too bored with it.
*Looks at 3-gatsu screenshot*
Hina =< ; _ ; QmQ *cry**tears*
I am reasonably satisfied with how the houseki manga is in its latest chapters, coming together and the answers it gave.
@Nielo: wow, thanks. I'll definately pay more attention to that. Love to pick up those little details like that so I'm all ears if you pick up something else
I noticed that discord button. If more show up on it I'd consider joining it.
@Amagi: What will happen is that I'll end up marathoning it when more episodes get released, much like I did with first. The guy from the first series (Germain his name was) was a hard act to follow , so far I do think this is more enjoy than the little of the second season I saw.
SuperWooper
LOL, thanks for catching that.
@Wooper: I always enjoy "deep-friend" chicken as well. Tasty, taysty

Juuni Taisen – 07 [In Like a Dragon, Out Like a Snake (Part 1)]

For a character who officially dead before Juuni Taisen started (and thus, render him “useless” to win the tournament), Snake is surprisingly one of the most fearsome warrior of the race so far. He assisted Rabbit to kill Boar in the first episode, he cornered Rat to every holes Rat could hide, he KILLED Horse, […]

Dies Irae – 04/05[Spider/Reunion]

Forgive my tardiness in not covering Dies Irae last week. I had a few things going on and a serious lack of motivation. I am certain all two of you(Might be an overexpression of the number) that read these Dies Irae reviews were deeply disappointed. We have two episodes this week, one which was rather […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 27 [Feelings/Confession]

This episode of 3-gatsu felt like a companion piece to the heart-wrenching drama of the previous week. In fact, the “Feelings” chapter from this installment, where Rei asks Hayashida-sensei for advice, was a direct continuation of the same chapter from last time. Until this point, I felt that the series had approached the subject of […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 19[Dawn of the end]

We near the finale and Apocrypha gears up to bring things to a close, even if that setup is essentially mentioning that the battle is coming to an end over and over again. it’s more than a little strange to see this episode start up and it is though the entire three episode arc of […]

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World- – 06[In the clouds]

I would say there were plenty new watchers fooled into thinking this was Kino’s origin story and I admit to having the thought that the remake may be creating a new origin for her. But alas this is an episode focused on someone else entirely. Still I consider it a strong episode even if it […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 6 [The Faerie Queene]

Welcome to what is, in my opinion so far, the most beautiful episode of Mahoutsukai. Stunning art, world-building and character progression await you inside. Lets jump in. The best part of Mahoutsukai this week to me was easily the art/music and the world-building. I bring these up first because they were easily the most standout […]

Houseki no Kuni – 06 [First Battle]

Houseki maintains its impressive streak this week, with Phos learning their new role patronizing, a job once again clearly isn’t suitable for our main character. While you could say Houseki follows the same formula from the very first week: first introduces a huge array of Gems’ cast, then leaves Phos out in some kind of […]

Girls’ Last Tour – 06 [Takeoff]

Some might say futility is an essence of life. That we spend our life wasted away for complete nothingness. And some might argue that what their life worth is based on how much they contribute to the society. Not here in Girls’ Last Tour, the world where the concept of society is long vanished, ultimately […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 25/26 [June/Ladybug Bush/Feelings]

During the bizarre cold open of this makeshift two-parter, the thought flashed across my mind: are we getting one last bit of frivolity before the other shoe drops, or is wackiness the new normal for 3-gatsu? Over the last couple weeks, we’ve witnessed a lot of exaggerated behavior from characters like Hiyashida-sensei, Nikaidou, and even […]

The Reflection Review – 45/100