Posted by psgels on 30 October 2009 with categories: Top 10 Anime

A few weeks ago, there were a lot of requests for a this, so here you go: in preparation of Halloween, here is the list of my 10 favourite horror series. It was an interesting list to compile, because even though I’m a big fan of horror, I never really thought about my favourite series of the genre.

Of course, there are many different kinds of horror. Anime is hardly ever truly scary, but it does have a wide variety of horror series with a genuinely creepy atmosphere, and that’s what I was looking for when compiling this list. This can be done with gore, scary images, monsters, but also psychological horror, and the classic Japanese style of horror that tries to creep the viewer out with a tight storytelling. I tried to include a bit of everything in this list, because I don’t believe that there’s one sub-genre that’s inherently better than the others.

Again, like with my other lists I’d love to see some other people’s top 10 (or whatever suits you best) horror-series. I’m also interested about other sorts of Top 10 lists you want to see on this blog. I might as well try to create a different Top 10 list every month.

Some series who didn’t make the list but deserve a honorable mention: Hakaba Kitarou (for those who are interested in the combination between horror and comedy), Betterman (a bit long-winded, but pretty nice survival horror) and Mouryou no Hako (has some horror elements, but not enough to really make it to this list).

#10: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni

Higurashi’s biggest focus isn’t horror, but that doesn’t mean that it doesn’t have a number of genuinely creepy episodes in its first season. Especially because at that point, you’ll have no idea what the heck is going on, which only contributes to the atmosphere. It has gore, characters going insane and a setting in which you can trust nobody, all packaged under such a seemingly cute exterior.

#9: Boogiepop Phantom

Boogiepop Phantom is really more of subtle psychological kind of horror, but like Higurashi it also really likes to confuse the heck out of its viewer, and takes this sense of mystery further than any series I’ve seen. This, combined with a number of disturbing cases of messed-up personalities earned this series a place in this top 10.

#8: Kurozuka

So yeah, we all know what a mess Kurozuka ended up to be in the character-department, but as an action-horror series it truly shines. It had a really powerful set of visuals and a constantly tight atmosphere and some incredibly tense and well-written action scenes. Madhouse really knew how to make a huge visual spectacle out of it, and the genuinely creepy atmosphere made this into a unique series.

#7: Perfect Blue

This is the only movie I have on this list, but it really deserves to be here. This is everything that psychological horror should be, and Satoshi Kon succeeded in creating a schizophrenic and paranoid 90 minutes. It’s an excellent character-study of the darker sides about being an idol, dealing with obsessive fans and the like. While it’s not the best thing that Satoshi Kon has written, it still knows how to capture its audience and stands out as the best animated horror movie for me.

#6: Ayakashi ~ Japanese Classic Horror

Of course, this is one series that can’t be missing in a top-list of horror anime. This actually was the series that introduced me to this great genre, and it really shows what you can do with it. It consists out of three stories, and while the second one isn’t exactly impressive, the first and third really manage to deliver in disturbing antics and very tense storytelling. They’re both well built up, and especially the third story Bake Neko (which would later spawn its own series called Mononoke) is storytelling at its finest.

#5:Paranoia Agent

More Satoshi Kon, as he takes another shot at psychological horror. This series was supposed to be a collection of stories that didn’t fit into his movies, and the result is a number of excellent character-studies about a collection of people who breaking down mentally. This is of course great horror-material, and he really manages to combine this with this creepy atmosphere in which you never know what’s real and what’s just an illusion. It’s a show that loves to play with irony, and another great horror recommendation.

#4: Gilgamesh

I’m still not sure why this series is so often hated, but I digress. At its core, Gilgamesh is a dark series with a constantly tight and cold atmosphere. Unlike the most of the above-mentioned series, the type of horror is nether gore, scary images or psychological, but instead it really tries to captivate its audience with its storytelling. It’s a series with a creative storyline that fits this type of series perfectly, resulting into an excellently creepy series.
(On a side-note: try finding a good image for this series. Thank you very much, Fate/Stay Night.)

#3: Jigoku Shoujo

Every episode of Jigoku Shoujo has pretty much the same concept: someone has a grudge on someone, someone accesses the Jigoku Shoujo Website, and someone gets sent to hell. But this series really makes use of this ritualistic set-up in its storytelling, again creating a very creepy atmosphere that never dies, even after 78 episodes. It’s a series that really knows how to build up its stories, and while they indeed may be hit or miss, this series however really hits hard and often enough.

#2: Shigurui

I think it was pretty obvious that Madhouse would end up dominating this top 10: five of these ten come from them, and Shigurui stands head and shoulders as their best work in terms of horror. It’s the only series that actually managed to freak me out while I was watching it, that’s how powerful the storytelling is. This series is absolutely brutal, and spares nobody: every single character is a huge bastard, and nobody gets spared when it comes to the incredibly well-drawn gore. Nothing is too much for this series and it shows this again and again and again. If you want to freak someone out, then this is my top recommendation for it.

#1: Ghost Hound

But in the end, nothing can beat Ghost Hound for me as my favourite horror-series. With its huge attention to detail in terms of psychology, it knows exactly what to do in order to create an incredibly creepy atmosphere, and on top of being an excellent psychology lesson, this series also really manages to create a unique atmosphere that attempts to do much more than being simply creepy. If you want to get in the mood for Halloween, then this is my top recommendation: Ghost Hound knows how to capture its audience, and it does so with a frightening consistency.

1. Chris says:

Bleh Higurashi, it needed a lot more creepy stuff because it failed in everything else, but it was entertaining.

Perfect Blue definitely belongs there, it’s an incredible horror movie. Doesn’t go to deep but deep enough to just be awesome. Plus it’s one of those shows that nonanime fans love.

Jigoku Shoujo is also just really awesome, it is episodic but sure does go over the edge at times.

And Ghost Hound is the only anime series to ever really creep me out, it really is the #1 horror anime out there.

Sadly you showed no love for Serial Experiments Lain or Vampire Princess Miyu =(

2. Gottis says:

I love, love, love Ghost Hound! *_* Sadly, I can’t put up a top 10 horror list, because I honestly haven’t watched 10 horror anime series. D: But I think Ghost Hound would have ended up at the top if I had. ^^

3. kbot says:

You need to check out Requiem from the Darkness. Strange and atmospheric, it always made me feel uneasy. The characters, however, felt genuine. It was almost as if I wanted to help them, but something was off, and I was scared to get involved. Peculiar, but excellent

4. Aoi says:

Where’s my Requiem from the Darkness/100 stories (Kousetsu Hyaku Monogatari) on the list? I’m disappoint.

5. psgels psgels says:

I was actually disappointed by 100 Stories. I heard all sorts of great comments about it, but in the end it was just a decent but formulaic horror-series. And while it was an interesting watch, it just wasn’t good enough for me to include it in this list.

6. reverse says:

awesome list, that a lot anime I haven’t watch. the only one I watch is Ayakashi

7. Aoi says:

@psgels
    >but in the end it was just a decent but formulaic horror-series

And yet you’ve rated Jigugo Shoujo so high. I don’t remember it being scary apart some minor episodes. Sad? Yes. Scary? No. Hell, higurashi had more successful moments that this one.

8. psgels psgels says:

True, Jigoku Shoujo was indeed formulaic, but it had enough to make up for it. I agree that it wasn’t scary, but to be honest 100 Stories was even less scary for me. It just had too little time to build up or do something with that formula, and in the end I got bored with the series near the final episodes, which was the complete opposite from Jigoku Shoujo. The only anime that I would truly consider scary would be Shigurui.

9. bateszi says:

One series that’s also probably worth being on this list is ‘Petshop of Horrors,’ which has a pretty rubbish first episode (it’s only four episodes in total) but has some thoroughly weird stuff (in a good way) later on– a certain episode about mermaids, in particular, is really disturbing!

Also, just wanted to add the spider-woman-thing from ‘Wicked City’ is pretty damn messed up! ‘Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust’ is a very good, traditional monster horror anime (as is the original Blood movie). Basically, anything directed by Yoshiaki Kawajiri is worth watching at Halloween!

10. Canne says:

Really nice list. I’ve watch only 5 titles from the topten and 3 titles I put on my ‘gonna watch someday list’. I suppose I’ll have to watch Ghost Hound soon because right now, I think Paranoia Agent deserves the top spot.

By the way, does your list include OVA or ONA? Kakurenbo: Hide & Seek has just crossed my mind.

11. elianthos says:

Among the ones you mentioned&I actually watched,
    1)Ghost Hound and
    2)Ayakashi_Japanese Classic Horror
    along with its spin-off
    3)Mononoke
    are the ones I enjoyed.
    Must check the titles by Satoshi Kon ^_^.
    I don’t recall you reviewing The Portrait of Petite Cossette trio of OVAs… in case you haven’t watched it I’d suggest you to look for it. It’s arsty, twisted, nightmare-ish and gorey . A love and horror/ghost story rolled into one.

12. Wyrdwad says:

Ooh, I agree with Batezsi about Petshop of Horrors – except that I actually think the first episode is the BEST of the four. (: Great anime, though, on the whole, and Count D is a fantastic character. (:

-Tom

13. Kamikazesim says:

Time to go download Ghost Hound now.

Out of all the shows on this list, the only one I haven’t seen/downloaded is Ghost Hound.

14. windy says:

The horror anime I liked the most are definitely (or will be for sure if they’re not finished yet, but clearly stand out among the best):

1) Higurashi no naku koro ni
    2) Higurashi no naku koro ni kai
    3) Umineko no naku koro ni
    4) Elfen lied ( awesome!!! And the music too, gloomy and nostalgic!)
    5)The Portrait of Petite Cosette
    6)Monster ( as psychologic horror is one of the best)
    7)Vampire Princess Miyu
    8)Pet’s shop of horror
    9)Jigoku shoujo (all of them, I loved the three seasons equally)
    10)Gilgamesh ( it was quite an enigmatic and powerful series, that I won’t forget easily)
    11)Le chevalier d’eon
    12) Red garden ( the series, not the movie that I just hated)

I also loved ” Night head genesis” and ” Moryou no hako”( I have to watch this one entirely subbed because it was really hard for me to understand the plot and I couldn’t enjoy it at the fullest since I didn’t get the major parts!) By the way, I couldn’t sit through ” ghost hound”, I really can’t make myself to watch it and don’t understand why you all like it so much, maybe I should first see the end , but the first episodes are quite unbearable for me to watch, it doesn’t even sound like an animated series but like some kind of experimental project.

15. signorRossi says:

Great characterization of Shigurui. :) It really surprises you that it still can increase the amount of gore and madness from episode to episode… ;) If you want to be really scared again go for the manga, it has a few untold side stories and a few chapters adding to the main story, but it is still unfinished.

16. windy says:

Oh, and I forgot to mention ” bokura no” ( don’t know it can be considered clearly as a horror series, and ” basilisk” , (also one of the best!) and ” Fate stay night”, that has a great amount of horror elements in it.

17. Meep says:

I’m glad you included Higurashi–it’s fantastic.

Interesting that you mention Ghost Hound. I think I’ll watch that. ^.^ Lol and this isn’t exactly scary but I have some episodes of Hakaba Kitarou to watch too. =P And Requiem from the Darkness.

18. d says:

what about ghost hunt?

19. Reltair says:

I remember sometimes watching Ghost Hound at night and I would get somewhat freaked out. o_O

20. Jabba says:

Have you ever tired Ghost Hunt?
    Let’s just say that… That show had me screaming in fright… In a brightly lit room, in the middle of the afternoon, while hanging onto my friend… XD

Really got freaked out by the Doll Arc and threw in the towel… >_

21. Shippoyasha says:

Shigurui would be tied for #1 with Ghost Hound for me. Ghost Hound was right scary until it tried to have some silly, binding adventurous story on top. Totally flopped in using its creepiness for a creepy ending. But in the end, we got TURKEYS WITH SOULS.

But Shigurui… ugh… yeah. It’s just artistic in how depraved and horrifying it truly is. The final ‘boss battle with the old swordmaster’ is just terrifying from the beginning to the end.

22. Oh thanks for this top 10 xD I don’t know some of them, I should check them out~

I can’t think of my own top 10 . . . it’s so hard to rank xD hahaha!

23. Tk007 says:

Shigurui is the number 1 horror for me. I’m someone who likes to see gore in anime yet I find myself unable to stomach the gore in this series.

24. Pax says:

Most anime that classify as horror can be somewhat creepy,but almost never scary,if i want something scary i would not choose an anime,still your list is interesting and most of those anime (at least those i am familiar with) have their creepy moments,Higurashi actually has even some scary parts but only in the 1st arc.

Also i would like to mention Ghost Hunt(it has its good moments) and also Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust…maybe also Serial Experiments Lain,it’s not scary but it’s quite disturbing sometimes.

25. jeff says:

monster is also a good psychological/somewhat creepy anime

26. AKI says:

i was probably wondering where are: elfen lied? night head genesis? ghost hunt?

27. psgels psgels says:

Night Head Genesis… I ended up not putting that on this list because I didn’t know whether it really classified as horror or not.

I was also at first very impressed with the huge gore of Elfen Lied. Then I watched Shigurui and it suddenly looked much less impressive.

And Ghost Hunt would have gotten on this list if it weren’t for the large number of fairly weak arcs and lackluster lead character.

28. cad says:

Well one thing that might be interesting, is to compile a ‘top 10 horrifying horror animé’. Since, from what I understand, this list is more about your top 10 favourite horror animé, rather than the top 10 horror animé you consider the best/scariest. (Well actually I’m not completely sure from your post if these are your top 10 favourite or top 10 scariest, or both…)

29. Anne says:

Ive haven’t seen much horror anime, I’ve seen Blood+ and from what I’ve seen I really like it. Ever since I can remember I saw this on t.v and don’t remember the station but i was visiting my aunt and there was a part where there was a person in a subway I think and its a girl maybe, and the person gets choked by another by a chain n it was gorey and stuff, and I remember that I absolutly LOVED the anime. I have NO idea what it’s about, but if anyone can help PLEASE send me an email!!!!!!!

30. un kn own says:

Well first of all, everything that you put on the top 10 are fantastic. But you didn’t at all give higurashi the crdit it deserves, watch the entire series over again when you get at least 20 y/o when your brains fully developed. Higurashi no naku koro ni-kai-rei all were very serious in depth and very complicated. And the story line never wavered for a second. always stayed the same. If you couldn’t comprehend it. You are not intelligent lol

31. Mat says:

Ghost Hound was creepy all throughout and got me thinking almost the whole time. The ending totally ruined it. Won’t be in my number 1 spot though. Glad Jigoku and Higurashi made it in your list. Will check out Perfect blue & Paranoia Agent. Thanks for this!!

32. Horrror fan says:

Ayakashi is my favourite!!Bake Neko (or Goblin cat) as I saw has the most superb and captivating animation theme. The anime has a sophisticated touch to it and the charaters are absolutely flawless ,according to me. It is truly a crowning jewel in the Ayakashi series. Sadly ‘Goddess of Dark Tower’ was a huge disappointment…I have heard of so many vampire tales that this case of ‘forbidden love’ grows naught with me

33. josfx says:

How about Bokurano? there isn’t much gore but it is a good psychological anime

34. I think that “Mononoke” the spin-off series of one of the “Ayakashi” arcs, should definitely be mentioned alongside (if not above) “Ayakashi.” It was far more complex and disturbing/psychotic with elements of complex mystery.

35. Jasper says:

Even though this is an old list check out Another it may topple everything on this list. That is a true horror anime. It has the feel of The Shining and Final Destination along with some really great character development. Plus a great mystery aspect to it as well.

36. lol says:

i dont think ghost hound is horror it isn’t scary at all

37. dude says:

Cmon Tokyo Goul deserves to be at least
    In the top 5 of that list..

38. dude says:

Cmon guys ,
    Tokyo Goul deserves to be at least
    In the top 5 of that list..

39. Woah, thats a solid list! I didn’t see only Shigurui.
    btw. Photos are not loading

@Amagi: they better have a second season. The way it ends now I don't even have any motivation to write a full review. I'm not really optimistic over it having a second cour because if the producers were confident about its chance, they would've greenlit it already.
@SuperMario: Seems like the official radio confirmed PriPri might get a second season if the BD and/or game sales are good enough. - BD sales seem to be around 7k at the moment, but it looks like many only ordered them now, after the last episode, so it might be more.
@Aidan. Oh I did. Thank you for reminding me. I will write the review.
@Travlos, Just in case you missed it, there is a reply to you earlier in the chatbox.
Kakeguiri also ended. In the end the anime original ending was not really an ending, but just a fan pleasing excursion. The integrity of the manga story remains. It was a good adaption, and I liked it as it brought to life the parts of the manga that make it interesting to me. Also a great Opening and Ending. Good show.
And to sum it up. I think this was a great series. All its episodes were good.
I actually am ok with the PP ending. The 12 episode series is self contained. Sure there are many future potential stories to pursue, but I felt there was enough closure to make the series a good series. This is because the next step of the narrative is really so long term as being more LOGH material than PP (the story of the ascension of Princesss to the throne, and then the story of her reforms)
Alright, I found the read more tag. Now my tendency to write more than I should will be contained.
@Mario, Got to play catch-up but I am guessing it was very much a non ending?
Gosh, is that how Princess Principal end?
@KAiser: I really have a mixed feeling watching Assayas's films. I always find his works toe touch into pretentious area. Still have much more films from him I want to watch though so that opinion might change
@Kaiser: As Tears go By surprised me a little considering how straightforward it is. It's Wong's most by the book HK romance but it was one of his most commercial success. After this, the studio allowed him to do things he like and that was when he gone banana with his styles
not a fan. Can't even tell the difference between turtle and tortoise
Anonymous1420257
i like turtles
@Mario: I hadn't expected some of the dry/dark humour in sils Maria, I liked the themes/aging angst and its comments on hollywood in parts even if it needed to go a bit deeper. Stewart is a revelation in it. That X-men parody scene was fucking funny lol
@Mario: I actually kind of liked As tears go by. Mostly because of my experiences with hong-kong action flicks, much as I like John Woos films, the melodrama he tries to sell between the action never worked for me and left me just waiting around for the action to come round again. Wong was able to put genuine emotion into the hong-kong action film with this one.
@Aidan: Somehow. The problem is rather Haruki anyway and it's canonically part of her character. Kei becomes more likeable IMO and the events get much more complicated and/or serious plus there are a bunch of characters getting added to the protag team which makes the whole thing more dynamic. The best comes when some other character joins around the middle though.
Personally, I can digest the emotionless dialogue in the first place since I watch the series with the mindset that the main characters are innately "broken" in some ways.
@Aidan Hmm...one might consider the emotion level increases in main characters' dialogues for Sakurada Reset as baby steps depending on how dramatic one expects a character to act in other animes. (The emotions increase do exist though) There are certainly emotional scenes and characters do develop in ways where one can't just say they're 100% robots.
@Travlos, If you so wish then you can write a review for Bahamut virgin soul. Just let me know if you are up for it. If so I recommend writing it up on google docs, then when you have it done I can give your account contributer status and you can paste it into a post for us to look over and publish on the site. For screenshots our standard size is H240 X W138.
Did they ever fix that emotionless dialgoue issue they had going on?
You are not alone. The second half of Sakurada Reset made me so glad that I stuck with the series.
Oh and I totally forogt Reset ended now too. Not sure if I am the only fan of that but the whole second half was one of the better things I've seen this year.
Okay now thinking three others came into my mind, but that's still not much. A lot of series started interesting and turned out mediocre or cheap after a while.
Considering that I love Made in Abyss, PrinPrin, Fate/Apo (so far) and 18if too guess this season was better than I've expected. 2016 was kind of a let down imo, animewise. Off the top of my head I only remember Rakugo, Fune wo Amu and Bokudake I think.
I didn't expect to like Virgin Soul as much as I do. Especially the last ~5 episodes got me. The weird thing is that I was disappointed by S1 actually.
@Travlos: I don't mind if you do a guess review on Virgin Soul, but let's me check with other admins first.

On Virgin Soul, I'm not sure if I like the bew development. It suddenly does a 180 degree turn on King Charriot, which I don't feel rewarding.
Kakegurui will have an anime original ending. It might be better than the ongoing manga. We shall see. An enjoyable foray.

Virgin Soul is going for a nice explosive ending. If no one writes a review, I would be willing to write one.
*kind of
While its very much in the shadow of the first and the protaganist started out kind annoying, I kind of got caught up in the spectacle and sentimentality of gunbuster 2.
Urasawa is preparing a new manga
yes the episode where Julian watched the documentary was fun. The Caligula like character comes from one of the lesser episodes of the series, when Kircheis beats up some rebelling third rate noble in the Empire.
Goddammit, fail, it just changed the colour of the login name...
I declare in the red truth that the next anime I shall watch is Diebuster.
From what little I saw, I remember a Caligula like character in one episode.
I remember there's an episode where Julian just goes on Space Netflix and just watches a documentary. I actually liked that lol
yup, a LOGH that run like the Altair anime would be bad. It needs to show the sweep of history
@Anon, I actually liked that aspect. It made the history of the world feel real.
It's compressible, as there are many episodes of buildup, but that's where so many of the interesting details and depth of planning become evident. Some of those episodes read like a history textbook though, so we'll see how the new adaptation handles them,
*pleasantly
Tytania was ok.
On the Amakusa Shiro reference in the fate review, I've seen a film about him from the 50s , theres also an old josei manga where the protagonist ends up becoming essentially regarded as him.
Hi Kaiser. Supposedly this is a re-imagining of the original story. Thus independent of the OVAs (old serieis). What exactly re-imagining means is something I and you do not know. We shall see. But it does mean that you do not need to watch the old series to enjoy this one. The OVA was definetly more expansive than the novels. So my guess is they will stick to the novels.
There's another anime, called Tytania based on his novels but I haven't seen that series.
As in condensable in the way nothing much is lost? I assume there are fillers in the original?
I'm indifferent to the aesthetics of the new version. What I'm hoping for is that it will be accessible to newcomers and that I'll be able to jump on to the old series where the new one leaves off. I've seen very little of the original and it was a long time ago, is there any way the story is condensable?
The fact that they stayed away from the disgusting new manga is great. I am not too keen on the CGI ships, but they also did not rankle. It looks like it will honor the spirit of the old series, and I cannot ask for more. I am a massive LOGH fan. And the new video out gives me hope of revisiting one of the greatest sci-fi/historical settings out there. I am happy.
I hope they are using the old anime as a base and not the new Manga adaption. As that Manga adaption is seriously lacking.
@Anon, I like that they blinged up the space battles which is good because those things could get tiresome. But I really hate the design of Yang Wenli. They made him look so much younger and bishi. I don't think i could take this guy seriously if he started one of Wenli's signature hypothesis.
Thoughts on that new LOGH PV? My expectations were low, so I'm presently surprised. Obviously they made everybody pretty boys, and Mamoro Miyano is voicing Reinhard I believe. But art and animation actually looks pretty decent overall. It's a PV, and LOGH's best quality is it's story and characters, so we'll have to see if they remain faithful or not. But it's nice to see it get a visual overhaul.
By the way this site has the first chapters but check the other versions to find them.
@Mario, Indeed. It's also a pity that over half the couples in the manga were not featured. We only got a small taste of Patricia.
Or maybe I'll try to read the manga. The last time I checked it online, the site doesn't have its first few chapters
@Aidan: man, Tsurezure Children sure is sweet. Really sad to see it ends
So that's the end of Tsurezure Children.
....I'm gonna need a second season. Now.
....NOW GODDAMNIT! NOW!
As I said I understand the criticisms to RE:Creator, but ultimately I enjoyed most of the show. It could had been better, and it is a missed chance. But I have seen worse.
I gave up halfway through, there weren't even enough action scenes and those that were didn't justify waiting around for.
Could have at least delivered on the action but that was rendered pointless due to the majority of the cast turning good and Altair being a complete cheat character.
It would have been really fun to see characters discuss their stories with their creators or indulge in what our world has to offer but they really glossed over that part.
It really should have gone deeper into the whole meta aspect introducing anime characters to the real world. Like they did with Mamika's powers being ridiculously destructive when outside a kid friendly setting.
@Puran, I at least like the message of the final episode. But as for the show itself it was just missed potential on a lot of levels. I wanted Anime Genre battle royale and instead got a secondhand Shirobako with a crap shounen anime attached.
I have been forgiving of Anno as I've gotten older.
I also just re-watched gunbuster, I'd previously dismissed the ova after a few episodes when I was a teenager, I'd found it too slow, didn't have that issue with the 90 minute version I just finished. I've never see the sequels.
Ill have to finish Creators... at some point
I've been dipping back into the Lupin franchise, Gold of babylon was particularly screwball, kind of ridiculous comedy caper/adventure thing you just have to run with....turns out it was directed by a live action filmaker I especially like who made bizzare noir films in the 60s.
Puran
So that explains why Meteora had so much air time in Re:Creators. It's her story....

I hated the ending and I disliked the anime overall.
@Mario: It was a genuine surprise to see that Assayas decided to make a film framed around hentai =P
@Mario: I loved how incoherent demonlover was.
@Mario: The criticisms I'll give wind river, is a slight inconsistent performance from Renner and that very awkwardly inserted flashback scene.
@Kaiser: on Wind River, I agree it's a well-executed case of the week drama, although there are some plot pregressions that I don't get (how did they find out about the man's corspe again?). About Demonlover, man, the film gives me a chill down my spine. Heartless. And a bit misogynist.
@Kaiser: as much as I loved Wong (yeah I too prefer him over Malick), sometimes I do think Western cinema give him too much praise that sadly overshadow other Asian directors.
@Mario: Wong is important to me as a hong-kong filmaker, he offers something entirely different from the whole Woo/Lam Hong komg movies.
@Mario: On a more positive note Maggie Cheung did mention that she felt her early work with Wong was when she first truly became a proper actress.
@Mario: ....I had no idea he had such a sad background.
*investigation drama
@Kaiser: that film also marked/ signified a rather sad period of Hongkong showbiz. Leslie Cheung badically lived the live of the protagonist and commited suicide in 1997. His girlfriend on screen, during the filming, was kidnaped, raped and taken topless picture. The damnest thing is that everyone knowed the culprit but did nothing, and in the press it was just deemed as "kipnapped and assaulted"
@Mario: Wind river was a big surprise for me, just goes to show that with the right execution an ordinary police drama movie can be elevated higher.
@Mario: Thats the interesting thing, tracking a directors career.
Just binge watched the new dominion tank police ovas , admittedly these are kind of reptitive and extremely silly but its hard to hate on something so shamelessly fun that made me feel like a child again.
@Kaiser: you said it there. DoBW is rather raw and unpolished but that's one of the reason why I am drawn to it more compare to his other works.
In all honesty, it would be nice to finally see a continuation after fusion as all games after that have just been adding chapters in-between.
Finally I wonder, if Metroid Prime 4 will definitely branch out of the main Metroid's continuity. It's curious how an interquel subseries is still going to add things in between the first and the second entries in the main franchise.
AidanAK47 - I think is nice we can see both takes. Especially since neither one despite a few qualms are still very solid entries for this franchise. I just hope Metroid moves forward, as IMO this is the only game that really needed a facelift do to the heavy limitations of the gameboy. And I hope the secret gallery at the end is teasing how the producer plans to move the plot forward.
I thought it might be like that but it's good to know they are at least on a close level. I didn't really want Samus Returns to replace AM2R as the "Definitive" version of Metroid 2. Mostly because a lot of love was put into AM2R andit came at a point when it felt Nintendo didn't give a crap about Metroid.
Like Zero Mission there's something added to Samus Returns but I'll just leave it at that.
I think both have strong points. Samus Returns have better boss battles, gameplay mechanics and more intense action pieces. AM2R IMO has more atmosphere, takes advantage of elements Nintendo don't even try like the Federation subplot, and the ending portion narratively has more heart in AM2R, while in Samus Returns it feels mostly like "the final level".
I also did got lost a couple of times in Samus Returns and aside from the big water section in AM2R, the latter is more linear game.
I think the controls in Samus Returns bring more to the table though. The 360 aiming makes for better ways to shoot enemies and some of the bosses take advantage of that. If it weren't for the 3DS giving hand cramps because you're holding L and R at several points it'll be completely the most ideal way to play.
AidanAK47 - AM2R is very good, I think it has the advantage that because it uses sprites IMO backgrounds and enemies are more vibrant and easier to appreciate. The Federation soldiers are better executed in AM2R and that secret section with the ship is very eery.
@Vonter, How does it stack up to AM2R? I bought it and am still waiting on it to be delivered but I have the feeling that AM2R would be the better game when comparing.
I took me 12 hours to 100% and I've heard the best ending is beating it in less than 4 hours. I think unlike Zero Mission item percentage don't matter, it's mainly to unlock an art gallery.
My main criticism is this being a 3DS game. Small enemies can be hard to see or appreciate. And I think the 3DS wasn't made for heavy action packed games like this or Smash Bros. I got the rubber from the circle pad come off in two occasions. Also unless there was something big in the background, several areas felt lacking in detail. Still Samus and the bosses look good.
In terms of difficulty, the game has the enemies packing more damage than in other 2D Metroids. Is difficult in the sense than you can't tank damage as in other iterations, you have to be aware of enemy behavior and bosses mainly get easier do to familiarizing with their patterns, since I did die a lot each time I faced a new boss. And got used to kill them faster as I went along.
Ok, so I beat Samus Returns. It's quite good. Unlike Fusion that had dialogue at midst the gameplay. Samus Returns only has a prologue of exposition and any cutscenes mainly accentuate the reactions of Samus confronting a new enemy. The level design is dense, despite having isolated areas like in Fusion and the original Samus Returns, each area is very mazelike.
@Mario: =< Awww I kind of like demonlover actually despite all its flaws, it had great sound design and had this cold, clinical, un-nerving mood to it.
@Mario: Days of being wild does feel a bit un-realized/un-polished/rough compared to his other work definitely but its probably the rawest I've seen from him and that has its appeal.
@Mario: Haven't seen farewell my concubine come to think of it. Regarding the scifi element I felt I embraced it more further into the film when it started to intermingle more.
While I am more forgiving toward Malick's recent films than most, that decline in quality means I have to pick Wong.
by the way in RE:Creators we probably will be getting a future series focusing on the hunt for Magane :p Meteora probably playing the role of detective. I also bet her novel will be wordy and heavy in exposition :p
i.e his end game might had been a cross-species revolution against him anyway. We will see
In Bahamut Chris proves to not be totally evil, but he is totally crazy. That said I am seeing one of my hunches getting supported, the hunch was that his cruelty towards daemons was with the purpose of bringing them down enough that they would be willing to work with humans as euals (As they are in Jean's army) and thus via that create a more unified world. I
RE: Creators has come to its end. I know the problems everyone has with it, and while it failed to raise to the level of exceptional show, I loved it. As I said, it had been years since a show kept me so excited episode after episode. They blew it at some point, but ultimately for me this is an en-joyful show, and one I would happily binge watch in the future again.
@Kaiser: question for you though, between these two directors, which one do you prefer: Wong Kar-Wai or Terrance Malick?
@Kaiser: if you enjoyed both 2046 and In the Mood for Love, by all mean check out Days of Being Wild. The trio forms a loose trilogy and Days of Being Wild was the first film that Wong began his unique unconventional style. It's one of my personal favorite of Wong and it's a chance for you to watch the late Leslie Cheung acted (you might watch him already in Farewell My Concubine)
@Kaiser: 2046 is indeed a passionate film, and one of his best looking film. He tried something different in 2046 too, experimented with scifi (one of the best part in the film for me)
@Kaiser: it's stritcly Wong Kar Wai's romance we're talking about, since I don't find the rest of Chinese take on romance that interesting. Romance or melodrama is one of his main theme throughout his career
@Mario: It was slightly overly long however.
I've also seen chungking express, in the mood for love and fallen angels. I think this Chinese take on romance is really clicking with me.
@Mario: I also thought it was a very passionette film and I love how Kar-wong-wai uses the music in it. I also think its one of his best looking films.
@Mario: I had a look at that Chinese film 2046, very effectively melancholic take on fleeting relationships while also successfully being quite sensual while staying classy and without ever showing too much. Tony Leung and Maggie Cheung are two beautiful people =P
for those who still want to catch up with 18if, episode 11 has a huge recap, while wrapping up the show with a new overarching plot. Hopefully they don't pull another Matrix here
SuperWooper
It's shounen-y for sure. The competitions have been my least favorite parts of the show so far. If you're still watching, you might appreciate it more once the Tenpei Cup is over.
Damn Ballroom looks so good. But I really can't enjoy it despite that I want to. It has too many of these typical shounen moments and plot points I can't stand.
Omae wa mou shindeiru
Mononoke is actually what made me find Ayakashi. Also a good show.
Regarding Ayakashi, I only watched the Mononoke segment
"It was a long, long trip, and we're coming finally to the end of the journey. Thank you, Manoyama and Chupacabra. And thank you, 5 EURO" - Sandal-san.
Ayakashi was great for me Kaiser. I enjoyed my time with it
Vonter212
@AidanAK47 - The hard aspect has been commented in several reviews with bosses being able to easily kill you. (Although in my experience it might be just getting a pattern). In terms of length most 2D games can be beaten under 3 hours. This one seems to clock at at least 6 to 15 if you want to collect everything. Then again, we'll see in subsequent playthroughs.
`@Vonter. It's out now but I don't remember seeing anyone claim it's the longest hardest entry 2D wise.
Going to watch new dominion tank police next and read violence action and Oddman 11.
It took me years to get round to it, but I finally watched Ayakashi and as expected like most anthologies, again its mixed, the first is a solid ghost story that improves after a weak start, but that third one with the cat spirit was great, really liked how experimental that looked.
Soo a new Metroid comes out this week. It is said, it's the longest, hardest entry in regards to the 2D iterations. Still not as great as Super, and depending on your fanaticism it might or not be as good as Zero Mission.
But they didn't pull that scene off too well. It's just... unmemorable. In fact the whole show is very unremarkable. Now only 1 episode left I might as well finish it but I won't give it a full review
Koi to Uso has been disappointing so far. Episode 10 featured the sequence that i was looking forward the most in the manga: the former classmate tells the one sided crush of the main girl from her POV. For a romance that contrived and manipulated like this one, hearing this from the third person's perspective prove to be more powerful
@HelghastKillzone - Good luck with that. I almost had my car's engine damaged since it has been raining heavily where I live. Had to ask for help the next day to pull it out of mud. Still not as bad as the other three cars that did get stuck in the water.
HelghastKillzone
Dealing with work and the total loss of my car really sucks at the moment so I'm quite tied up for this week.
I do agree to a point, but to be frank all the episodes of Princess Principal to date have been so solid I have a hard time deciding. Episode 5 though was still the best from a holistic point (action, direction, music etc) was the one introducing Chise
Agree. Dorothy has the biggest heart out of all the spy girls. Also "help" that her episodes are all melodramatic.
This episode of PrinPrin showed again that Dorothy is the best character by far. Not just herself but her episodes as well are better written than the rest if you ask me.
It just hit me. The characters in Princess Principal may be very well working for IngSoc :p
@Kaiser, in the seven chapters it's only really two of them that contain dark shocking content. Chapter three being the biggest one in that regard.
@Aidan: I read a comment where someone said subahibi shocked them more than saya no uta. While I haven't played it yet, I have seen some of a letsplay...it lleft me thinking....how many hours until this actually gets good/truly unhinged .
After Reading SubaHibi, Made in Abyss's dark turn didn't shock me too much. Maybe I just got desensitised. I will have a review of SubaHibi hopefully up in a week though to clarify my feelings on it after just finishing it, It was interesting but disappointing.
well, well. Both Made in the Abyss and Virgin Soul do not hold back. Grim! RE:Creators is warping up. Comparing with these other shows I can fully appreciate the problems people have with it. But still I am glad I am sticking to the end. Altair's voice actor by the way did great.
@Helghast, And Kings Field was the Demon Souls before Demon Souls came out.
having binge watched several of this season's shows I would say Princess Principal is the most rounded. Made in Abyss is good. Kakegurui and The Reflection as SuperMario said will depend on your tastes. There is also Shouko no Altair. You will like it if you liked Tanya Saga of Evil, or Legend of Galactic Heroes, or Arslan Senki or manga like Vinland Saga, Gunka no Baltzar, and especially Historie
Jesus...me watching this weeks Made in Abyss https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ogzsWhZcmM
HelghastKillzone
So... Demon Souls was the Dark Souls before Dark Souls came out.
@anon1385426: the safest bets aside from Made in Abyss are Welcome to the Ballroom and Princess Principal. Kakegurui and the Refection are for more acqurired taste
Aside from Made in Abyss, what's the best anime this season?
@KT, the pacing and the framerate early on are my two biggest issues. Later on the story starts to get abit more engaging, and they start doin things I didnt expect, but the pacing is still there. Some akward pauses.
Look, Berserk and Dark Souls are both amazing. But I only have 3 Dark Souls games, and 38 Berserk volumes. Im clearly biased
I sat down and watched the first 4 episodes of The Reflection. It is an interesting attempt, and I can see the people making it having fun doing so. But I did notice a pacing issue. For some reason the episodes felt like they dragged a bit too long.
Dark Souls is the Berserk of Video Games.
Dark Souls really went all Berserk if you ask me
I am not one for putting down law but can we never ever compare anything to Dark Souls ever again? Cause it's actually become really tiresome how everything is the dark souls of something.
No other sentence has made me want to watch Made in Abyss more

Kakegurui – 12[Gambling Woman]

It’s been awhile since I seen an anime original ending and honestly I was rather dreading it when I started this episode. Anime original endings don’t have a good track record as of course attempting to tack on an abrupt conclusion to an ongoing story is not going to turn out swimmingly. Even if I […]

Made in Abyss – 12[The True Nature of the Curse]

Today’s topic is the curse of the abyss alongside much needed revenge against the creature that put Riko in a bad spot. We get a rare glimpse of the topside village where one of the orphan kids we saw previously is deathly sick on his birthday. This caught me off guard as I believe I […]

Katsugeki Touken Ranbu – 13 [Katsugeki]

Welcome to the final week of Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu, where the plot is rushed and the art is at its best. Lets jump in. Ranbu opens this week with the title card, skipping the OP. Looks like they want all the time they can get. Picking up where they left off, Ranbu has Horikawa go and […]

Princess Principal – 12 [Case 24 Fall of the Wall]

Is that seriously how they end Princess Principal? Nothing is resolved at all except Ange breaks down the wall around her heart to welcome her team to the Casablanca’s paradise. Everything screams “second season” and with the sales aren’t that impressive from what I gathered, will they ever get one? It comes hard for me […]

18if – 12 [The Witch Wars]

Let me just say, I’m all in favor for 18if having a proper closure, but I’m wholly disappointed with what happening right now. This episode is just all over the place. For instance, I’m just as glad as the next person to see all the Witches gathering back in real life to help Haruto, but […]

Classroom of the Elite – 11 [What People Commonly call Fate is Mostly their Own Stupidity]

So suddenly, without mentioned at any point before, Horikita can suddenly kicks ass? Or that Horikita has been sick ALL THIS TIME? Or that Horikita still can kick some ass while being sick all this time? Since when the Class-D boys shrink into only Ayanokouji, Hirata and the 3 idiots? On that note, where is […]

Ballroom e Youkoso – 11 [Evaluation]

And so the Tenpei Cup comes to a close at last. It took five episodes to get from the first round to the awards ceremony, and not all parts of the competition were created equal, but I’m happy that my girl Mako managed to claim the Ballroom Queen award. After she received the trophy, there […]

Kakegurui – 11[The woman who bets her life]

So…what am i supposed to say here? Yumeko wins, the treasurer loses and now the show looks to be teasing a matchup between the Student council President and Yumeko. I would say it’s a good thing this shows end looms near as my interest in it has just about petered out. I love seeing smug […]

Made in Abyss – 11[Nanachi]

It’s been an issue I have wanted to bring up before but the previous episode recaps of this series are rather long. Today’s was the biggest offender as the first three and a half minutes was just footage from the previous episode. While these kinds of recaps are handy for those watching weekly to catch […]

Sakura Quest (Summer 2017) Review – 79/100

Conceived as a third installment in a loose P.A Works trilogy about young adult girls in working environment, Sakura Quest both knows its target audience well, and has some big shoes to fill. After all, many have considered Shirobako an install classic for good reasons. As it turns out, Sakura Quest is more on the […]

Castlevania Season 1 Review – 70/100

Upon hearing that Castlevania would be getting an animated TV series my first reaction was that of unpleasant surprise. Part of the reason was because of the video games infamous history with adapting their stories to other mediums but my main reason was that being familiar with the Castlevania games, I knew the story was […]

Tsuki ga Kirei (Spring 2017) Review – 88/100

It’s hard for me not to go overboard on Tsuki ga Kirei: out of all the show I’ve followed this season, I resonated the most to this one; but even when I’m judging this show objectively, Tsuki ga Kirei is one of the most perfect one, in a way that it achieved exactly what it […]

Seikaisuru Kado Review 51/100

Seikaisuru Kado was a title which caught my attention for a number of reasons. For one it’s visuals showed not a single teenager in sight and a cast mainly consisting of working adults. Another is that it deals with a premise not often tackled in anime, Philosophical Science Fiction. The story features an alien being […]

ID-0 (Spring 2017) Review – 81/100

Here comes one of the most under-appreciated anime of this Spring season. ID-0 has many hassles that keeps viewers away from watching it: Netflix exclusive, full CG animation and a plot that just plain weird and a bit incomprehensive at first view. I originally took it as nothing more than fun spooky little-seen show until […]

Grimoire of Zero (Spring 2017) Review – 77/100

I remember, back in our first impression of this series, Aidan remarked that Grimoire of Zero isn’t your typical LN-adaptations, but he didn’t know what to make of it. To be honest, after watching an entire cour, I’m still unsure what to make of it myself. This show has some serious flaws, yet despite all […]

Uchoten Kazoku Review – 94/100

(Note: Since psgels didn’t give his final review to the first season, this review is for the entirety of Eccentric Family. If I had to grade the second season alone, it’s 90/100). Doesn’t matter how you look at it, the Eccentric Family is a unique show, in a way it feels and tastes like no […]

Little Witch Academia TV Review – 80/100

The Little Witch Academia series has been something that’s a long time coming. Ever since Studio Trigger made the original Anime OVA back in 2013 I have been hotly anticipating the time when it would be fleshed out into it’s own anime series. I love both the original OVA and the enchanted Parade so this […]

Window Horses (2016) Movie Review – 87/100