Posted by psgels on 31 October 2009 with categories: Kuchuu Buranko

Ah, we get a look into the authors of cheap romance novels. Again, it had a very simple conclusion: just start writing good novels! The fun in this episode yet again came from exploring the life and carreer of this guy.

As I’m also somewhat a writer, I can identify with him a bit: so you’ve written a masterpiece. Then what? You’re popular as hell thanks to your hard work. Now what? I can understand how this guy would eventually fall into a habit of writing stuff that sells good, yet are utterly crappy and formulaic. For a starting author, this means complete suicide, however an already famous author can pull this off and still sell items.

While I’ve never written a masterpiece myself, I do recognize how you can be incredibly passionate about something when you first start out. If you happen to know the right techniques, then despite your lack of experience you can put down an incredible piece of work.

This episode was all about getting in the right mindset. It’s not about writer’s block; this guy was very able to churn out novels if you ignore his vomiting problem. Instead, it was focused on getting him from writing half-assedly to passionately. And that’s something I do recognize from my own writing, especially with my episodic reviews: the more passionately I write abot an episode (whether it was good or bad), the better that entry is usually going to be.

… and yeah, you could probably guess that this wasn’t such a passionately written entry. -_-
Rating: * (Good)

1. RE says:

well
    My interpretation of this episode was little different from yours….

It’s not really about how you suppose to be. Writers! Please Write Good Book!!

…..no
    it just tells us that this is how we are in this society of all good and bad.

2. m says:

I would say that it’s not the quality of his writing per se that is making him ill, but that he wants to be one kind of writer and yet the demands of his job have made him into a hack. However, he is too afraid of not receiving the kind of success his romance novels obtain from the writing he enjoys, and becomes trapped between his desire for approval and his creative drive as a result.

All of the patients thus far have had difficulty asserting themselves, which in different manifestations seems to cause their neuroses.

As I have watched this show I’ve felt the length of each episode seems too short to convey the story of each patient, and the style they have adopted makes each episode sort of incoherent. The interruptions to discuss the subject matter further disrupt the pace of the show, and if it continues like this they’ve completely wasted the noitamina slot.

3. PL says:

thank you m… this show just doesnt live up to the standards noitamina has set in the past at all. Its like bakemonogatari, but much worse, mistaking bizarre and intrusive stylistic choices for “experimental” and “artistic,” and using that as an excuse to write something with very little depth. Personally, I’d rather watch a generic harem…at least the fanservice would be entertaining.

I’d love to be proven wrong and discover that the style is richly laden with symbols that add depths of meaning and nuance to the stories, and that the stories themselves connect in some interesting and meaningful way…perhaps as a savage satire against the psychiatric industry or modern life or something…so far, though, I kind of doubt that will be the case.

4. Machi says:

I think you simplified this one a bit more than it deserved. In the case of this yes you’re right part of the episode was about being able to churn out works out of formulaic routine he developed so he could sell. But its not necessarily just about the money or fame that was the focus to writting passionately. Consider the recurring motif of his first book constantly mentioned as being his most honest work, especially in comparison to the romance novels that he churned out which were far from reality. Is what makes a crucial difference to appreciating this episode, namely acceptance of a writers work.

How does a writer or anyone who does something passionately AND honestly get acceptance? Does he fake it and simply use bravado to cover up ones lack of experience to be accepted, and in the course of this episode that would be the romance novels. Or does one continue to write what they truly want to write with sincerity, even if that doesn’t mean being accepted. And lets face it this is what bothered him as could he tried to stick to the same formula that sold for him, despite being very much uncomfortable with it that he was afraid if his pattern. As with a pattern chances of comparison between works are high and in turn so is discovering weaknesses that arise, which you’d have to address. In this case he couldn’t address that considering that he wasn’t a pervert like the old writer, or has had any experience.

While his lack of success with his debut, at least with quantity (but lets face it quantity does not mean quality). Scared him off from writing what he really wants to write so he stuck to writing those romance novels, esentially I guess the guy just loved writting thats why he still wrote but was uncomfortable “laying eggs” of a topic he was alien to.

I think this episode deserves more of a re-evaluation, considering the motif and imagery that was used which does reveal a more complex and rewarding viewing than the summary written. I’m not concerned about the score but I am concerned at the simplified writing.

5. Machi says:

6. Machi says:

Ah screw it I’ll post my other thoughts here. Though it is just one, the others are in the shoutbox. Here is one thing I’d like others to consider about the style. Why is it that we see the doctor well almost everywhere? Does the doctor really follow his patients?

Is there not the possibility that what we’re seeing on screen is actually the recounting of the patients of their problems, or stressful events to the doctor? After all we never do see the doctor and his patient talking in the hospital, yet in retrospect we don’t necessarily see them leaving conclusively as they visit (except as they do leave at the end as with this episode). So the selectivity of the scenes showed would actually be the doctor and patient talking, rather than assuming the doctor actually stalks the patient, and dissecting the experience to get to the root of the problem. Which may be why we do get a lack of “depth” because we only get scenes or events that would be what one tells a psychologist (the stressful moments). The show I think is rather rewarding and like Kaiba does invite the viewers to interpret, especially with only the evidence at hand.

7. m says:

I would rather watch this show backwards than see anymore harem shows. I haven’t read the short stories, but I assume that there is more content in them than we get in each episode. The world we’re presented with is completely shallow. I just wish the episodes were maybe twice as long so they wouldn’t seem like they were built by someone with ADHD. I don’t mind the experimentation with the style, I just think it ends up eating away at the time budget. I appreciate any kind of novelty studios want to engage in; the medium can use whatever it can get. In its present form the show just doesn’t compare well against the last two shows in the noitamina block. I still look forward to watching it more than, say, Darker than Black.

8. Machi says:

Well I think the world presented would be shallow, in the sense that you see only through the eyes or narration of one character. It certainly limits perspectives, even more so when you consider that character has a fixation on something that is causing his disorder. So the thing is it may be a complaint that the world is shallow but its what you’d expect given the nature of the show, its not necessarily the fault of the experimentation style. In fact if the show were more straight forward, excluding the style, I’d say this could run at two cases per episode rather than one. As you said they do linger on the presentation, but I think that is also a strength in its own regard as the shows complexity makes it more rewarding than a simple “moral of the day” show. The show does go more for style rather than expansiveness, the style is a recurring motif of the issue to build up on the theme.

Though what I do see as a potential pitfall for this series with the style is that I don’t really see this peaking. There is consistency with the episodes so far but at the same time it doesn’t climax. Whats more I do see the potential for this show to fall into a set pattern, especially with the three cases so far being centered on the myopia of the patients as their downfall. Course its still early on so I’d love to be proven wrong about this prediction. Even then if this does come to pass its still very much entertaining to watch.

9. PL says:

Ok, here’s my issue with this show. First, It’s simplistic. The psychology involved is less in-depth or interesting than a General Psych 101 course. Second, the characters are flat, which is somewhat to be expected given the format of the show. So, we get neither deep emotional truth nor philosophical insight in the nature of the mind. This is just entertainment, and in my opinion, its not even great entertainment. At least Sora no Otoshimono can make me laugh. So, we come to the style. I’m a fan of stylized and experimental anime, when it enhances the story. I love Natsu no Arashi for instance. What I’ve seen of kaiba was wonderful. And my new favorite movie is sky crawlers. But often the style doesn’t enhance the story, but rather intrudes in it. For instance, the digitized human faces on the patients. This doesn’t do anything but break my involvement in the story. It is neither aesthetically pleasing, nor does it carry serious symbolic significance. In fact, none of the style seems to carry interesting or affecting symbolism. Rather, its overly simplistic and even childish. For instance, in episode 2, the guy who can’t get rid of his hard-on, turns into a rhinoceros with his horn all decorated and stylized. Alright, the horn is way too obviously phallic, and then it quickly becomes clear that his problem is tied up with his pent up anger and inability to express his feelings, and the rhino is known for its temper, plus, every time he switches it is when he’s getting pissed off and the rhino looks like its about to charge. Whoopdedoo! Machi, you said you prefer this structure to a simplistic moral of the day, but that’s exactly what it is. “Trust other people.” “Express your emotions and make decisions for yourself.” Might as well be Leave it to Beaver. You said the motifs in the style served to highlight the over-arching themes of the series. What themes? Maybe I’m really missing something, but as far as I can tell, it’s exactly what you said, an attempt to show what a visit to a shrink is like. But, instead of engaging deeply with the nature of psychology, we get an episodic show where profound psychological problems causing serious somatic and/or behavioral disturbances are fixed with a vitamin shot and pat greeting card advice. Yeah, cool, the doctor changes forms because therapists often change from consoling to hostile, etc. Everything is tripped out because visiting the shrink is a bizarre experience, the non-speaking characters are 2-D because that’s how they are represented to the doctor by the patient. But pry up the surface and there is nothing deeper. No symbolic representations of Jungian Archetypes or the Freudian death-drive. No probing investigation of the nature of mental illness and its treatment. No exploration of philosophic questions like the mind-body problem. But hey, it does have Boner-man and Mickey Mouse. Shows like Darker than Black are more emotionally and intellectually satisfying. This is entertainment, made to look artsy with some stylistic choices that actually intrude upon the story rather than enhance it. For a literary anime with style done well, that examines the human psyche meaningfully, I’ll be watching Aoi Bungaku this season. That’s the real “Noitamina” show, it just doesn’t happen to be in the “Noitamina” time-slot.

10. Machi says:

I’m watching both Aoi and this, I don’t see why you’re hostile about having to pick one over the other. And yes I never said this show was deep but rather entertaining, and indeed it is at only a 101 level in psychology (of course its still early so this is still up in the air). As for the aesthetics I would say that is purely more of taste than anything, you may be repulsed by the digitized faces but as you write or if I do reply its much more akin to personal taste.

As for the moral of the day thing it seems you misunderstood, as I’ve said the show easily may fall into that pitfall and indeed it does so far given that the cases are all quite similar due to the idea of supression. However, this is where the highly stylized approach helps as while the moral may be simple the presentation of animation certainly catches attention to divert it from that. In a nutshell the eye candy or totally weird imagery is what you remember on more than the “moral of the day”, as one writes the first thing that does come to mind is the weird imagery from the Rhino to Rooster. The moral of the day comes secondary, and even then I recall the theme more not because of the story written but of the images related to it.

With regards to the images missing the norm of what we would associate with psychology, I would argue that the Freudian and Jungian are there but obviously as you note at a 101 level. While I don’t really want to go jumping all over this, especially given how young the show is, is it necessarily a fault to be at the 101 level? Considering that the show is trying to be entertaining would it necessarily jive well with the humor to go into more advanced or serious psychology jargon or imagery? Especially given the more complicated nature of such images that would put the show in danger of being very contrived. At this point at least the images used I think are apt they are simple but in line with the narrative presented. They may not enhance but they decorate it well enough.

What this all points back to is the fact that the show is indeed not deep, well given the few episodes so far (so its hard to judge that decisively at this point). And this may lead to your frustration as you’re looking for something the show isn’t, and I think the episodes and the animation style (crass humor as well) do all point to telling you not to take it TOO seriously. Which is why this would be a worlds difference from Aoi Buganku, even then its an unfair comparison given that they’re practically apples and oranges so I don’t see why that show needs to be mentioned here. I mentioned Kaiba because the animation style was indeed off putting to many but overall still rewarding when taken into context, much like this show the images are weird and spontaneous but still linked by the thread of the issue. So in the end WHY look for DEEP philosophy in this show is totally up in the air, and Darker than Black isn’t any more philosophical either, and I would argue at the intellectual level I see the show more as pulp action (and just to clariffy pulp and action aren’t bad.)

11. PL says:

I don’t have a problem with this show, per se. No, I don’t enjoy it. But really, my problem is with anime fans who want to pretend that this show is somehow more artistic than or has more depth than your average moe or shounen. As you said, and what my point basically was, this show is just simple entertainment. And I do think its sad that this show is in the noitamina slot, which has traditionally been reserved for more sophisticated and intellectually fulfilling shows. I like good old fashioned entertainment. What irks me is people that want to bash a show like Sacred Blacksmith, and then sing high praises for this one, when it really is just apples and oranges, as you said. Anyway, I don’t think we’re in any kind of serious disagreement, (though I do think there is more going on philosophically in DtB than you are giving it credit for, but that’s for another day ;) ). Jyaa Mata

I do think getting pissed off though is much easier irl than doing it online where it doesn't bother me as much.
And it surprises me alot that I followed so many romance manga years ago, enjoyed them, but I've never been a romantic person irl at all.
I also hate incompetence/failure and am generally not especially patient.
I care about others and appearances mainly to extent it either is of benefit, if I have to or it avoids hassle.
People tend to think I'm cold, articulate, blunt irl too.
I'm not a sentimental or passionette/emotional person irl, I don't like wasting time with other peoples shit and don't bother with it, avoid looking at people or touching them physically, talk in long dry speeches and in general come off as a quiet, reserved but snarky/cynical person.
I probably unknowingly come off as different on this site than I would irl.
Honestly I'd veer towards depressing or surreal/strange/messed up work more out of just wanting to see weird and depressing stuff happen and little else, just interests me, I can't remember the last time I cried.
um i wanted to make my own blog but it wants a email but i dont want my parents finding out
It is weird how we never clash on what we want to cover on each season. Anyway I need someone to contrast my egotisical self so it's all good.
haha, Aidan: heartless grumpy monster & Mario: sentimental sappy bloke. Readers, you got yourself quite an odd combination of writers here.
Anonymous951955
We'll see; trailers can give false impressions
Anonymous951955
Not that all changes from source adaptations are terrible, but in this case, at least the trailer makes it look pretty bad.
Anonymous951955
It looks not great; I understand the need to change it a bit to suit the format/audience, but at what point does it turn from adaption to "loosely based on"?
HelghastKillzone
I'm glad we're past the phase of moe club shows.
@Helghast, now that's something I never thought I would hear.
HelghastKillzone
Hell ya. We are in a golden age of anime that is filled with options and quality.
What a great week! Iron Blooded Orphans, Onihei, Little Witch Academia and ACCA 13 all had great episodes! I am spoiled!
@Anon and @Aikan

The LoGH manga remake has been out. It did not work for me.

I hope he anime goes its own way. I do trust Production IG, so I hope. I think it might not be this year. No lgoic, just a hunch.
@Anon, Only info I can find is that it's coming out this year and it will be by Production IG. But I think you are right in that if it;s coming this year it will definitely be winter.
Feeling rather cautious about the remake myself. LoGH is dated visually but in a way it is a product of it's time and things you could forgive in the old version wouldn't be so forgivable in the new.
Does anybody know when that LoGH readaptation is coming? It's supposed to be this year right? Probably winter right?
But I will give it a full review anyways because all the amount of time I spent in that series should be paid off somehow, right?
But serious Gohands is a studio that had potential its just a shame its wasted on rubbish writers. Although I did like mardock scramble, because cyberpunk =)
If I met handshakers in public I'd refuse to shake its hand =D
Oh, it's actually just an extra Hand Shakers episode that serves as a prequel story. Not that bad then
Not to disregard Hand Shakers, but the best way to describe how I feel about that series is mind-numbing
They tried with that Military guy and his daughter but not by much.
But I do agree that there needs to be more to the characters, right now its JUST Tanya.
As for Tanya, having caught up with it, its a nice trashy guilty pleasure, especially due to the protagonist and I enjoy the setting because I'm a war film fan and like some of the action/politicking. I still do wish it was aesthetically a bit better. The dub isn't that bad and I'd welcome a second season.
In an ideal world Kino's journey would have been a good model for what light novel adaptations can be and SHOULD be.
If we must have more light novel adaptations, I would prefer them to be like Tanya, Muvluv, okay hardly breathtaking, but still better than that thing Aidan linked.
*Sigh* It looks exactly how I imagined it would and its terrible.
Please dont tell me thats an actual title.
In another world with my smart phone light novel to get an anime.

Oh my god...This literally sounds like a joke title you would see within an anime. Tried giving it an honest chance by reading it and it's just shit. Just pure terrible.
If people in Japan are actually buying blurays thinking its a good show then something is seriously wrong with the world.
@Topgavin, maybe too many people watched it because it was so terrible. I haven't watched past episode 1 but it doesn't sound like it improved.
Just incase you guys were avidly waiting for the announcement, Hand Shakers is getting a prequel season because it's apparently selling well......
Should be happy for it, though I'm a bit disappointed that I can't be able to cover it
Inside Mari gets live-action series adaptation. Why not anime?? Duh
Spike
Little Witch Academia finally tips it's hand on the overall plot! I'm pretty pleased and think some direction might help bump it up from just being 'good' overall.
HelghastKillzone
@KTravlos Still watching it week by week and I'll write up a review on the second season of Iron-Blooded when it ends.
@Mario: It is however the kind of anime film that would have the wide audience appeal though, as in anime for people who don't watch anime.
@Kaiser: just prove that people has paid attention to anime. That's an encouraging sign actually
Feck, silent voice was booked out when I got there just now....should have booked in advance, showing at 7:00 on Friday booking it now.
@KTravlos: I haven't, but that more because I'm not a big fan of Mecha genre. I believe one of our writer HelghastKillzone still follow the series
No idea, if you are all still watching MS Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans. I am, and while the 2nd Season toned down some of the elements that made the 1st Season good, it is still pretty good with the last episode doing a great job. If it keeps it, it definitely is head to head with Turn A Gundam for my favorite long-form Gundam Series (I am doing Gundam Origins for the original story)
Mhmm. It was one of those shows it weave adult themes into a kids show, so it had something for both. Now I can also appreciate the artstyle that doesnt use hard black outlines for everything.
If anything I get so much more out of Samurai Jack now than when I watched it as a kid.
Love that dude Aidan. And yes Kaiser, I think anyone get enjoy it now. I love that its back, but even without that its easily standing on its own
How much of this love of samurai jack is a nostalgia driven thing? I'm not knocking that nostalgia but would it be possible to get something out of the show now if I never watched it when I was younger?
Yeah, that conversation was great. Really shows you how messed up hes become. Its also amazing when you realize that was the last set of spoken dialogue in the episode. There was not a single word uttered in the second half.
The audience who enjoyed samurai Jack has grown up, them bringing up seppuku and blood is possibly a part of that.
Scene with the coffins was awesome as was the fight in the dark. My personal favorite part of the episode though was Jack arguing with his old design self. And young jack suggesting committing seppuku made my eyebrows raise. I mean..damn.
I agree Aidan. That quick shot of Jack vs the Daughter, with the sudden blood, suprised me as much as it did Jack. I really loved the scene with the coffins. The music nad sound was just great there.
@Lenlo, It was a really great episode. I love the meta of Jack being worn down by the wait and the wait the viewers had to endure for the new season. I is rather odd seeing blood in Samurai Jack though but it does make that particular moment have so much more impact.
April 16th for NZ. It is a lesser known movie than Kimi no na wa though, so I do wonder how available it's going to be in cinemas
This second episode of Jack was really just amazing. Its making full use of the new budget/tech for the art and of the new rating, along with the impact the timeskip would have on Jack. The cinematography was superb as well.
@Kaiser: Koe ko machi will creen in Aussie in the beginning of April as well. I'll go to watch it; but I would love to jear your thoughts on the movie.
There is a preview screening of koe to kachi on Monday night, depending I may go, I may review it or at least talk about it on here.
I'm dying waiting for the Blame! anime film adaptation to come out in May. I've wanted an adaptation for years.
And I'm too much of a cheap-ass to actually buy anything, don't even use legal streaming for films or anime/manga/comics, pirate almost everything.
Or shelves for that matter.
I've fallen out of the collectors thing pretty much entirely. I don't like to advertise any of my interests on my bedroom wall either.
Some years ago I ended up selling almost all of my anime dvds/vhs and manga, comic books aswell, took down my posters and moved what figures I had left into attic boxes , just no space for it and it was a good way to get some quick extra cash.
I love Rakugo as well, im not meaning to bad talk it at all. I simply also agree with Aiden that slow rolling us with Yakumo's death was poorly done and that its feeling stretched.
Nevermind, the $30 price tag made that decision for me
Weird how I see $8 movies on youtube as a ripoff yet a $90 series as a bargain. All these $300 box sets made me think it'd be in the hundreds. Wonder if I should get rebellion too
I'm still pretty much a fan of Rakugo this season. It goes much darker than the first season, something I didn't dare to think before consider this isYotaro's story. Would love to see more about rakugo's industry but this season does flesh out a lot of our core characters
I said it before but I'll bring it up again, the slow pace allows for, when big things happen to have a larger impact when they do.
*In
**and(not on) waiting for the series to finish
Season 1 showed a lot more, different periods and times, the development of Rakugo, the tragedy of Sukeroku & Miyokichi (or at least one version). In contrast, season 2 was basically about Sukeroku's legacy in the form of Yotaro and Konatsu and their kids, and Yakumo's relationship with death, changing from fatalistic to happiness over the course of the series.
I think it might be 13 episodes, the first season had 13.
To be honest, I understand your point: It's hard to actually describe what happened in season 2. I guess I became invested into Yakumo in season 1, and then warmed up to Yota and Konatsu in this season.
Yeah, I think they certainly could have compressed the front half of the season. There wasn't too much plot going on, but I enjoyed the characters and their interactions, so I didn't mind the deliberate pacing.
I still really like Rakugo, its really good, it just probably didnt need 12 episodes. That said, really lookin forward to the timeskip
@Mario: I've never actually seen any of Olivier Asayas' films come to think of it.
But going back to that dragging on, that did factor in almost making me hold off on waiting for the series to finish before going back. The anon's comment was what got me to watch this weeks episode right now rather than waiting till later.
Rakugo remains at this point still going in too long, but in fairness to the anon, yes the episodes conclusion was effective on emotional level and I bought into the dreamy atmosphere, largely due to the good cinematography the series uses.
Really? Im torn. Im glad they didnt bait and switch us again, but I always liked how grounded Rakugo was so im not sure how ok I am with the supernatural part and some of it felt like fanservice in regards to bringing characters back. The VA though is fantastic as always and I am definitely looking forward to this last timeskip. Cant wait to see the kids grown up.
Rakugo was otherworldly today. Not going to lie, was fighting tears back, but failed at the end.
@Topgavin: the bluray goes by region as well so you can only buy it in Australia/NZ region (region 4). For Madoka I still find it easiest to just go to JB Hi Fi and buy it. Sometimes I find it cheaper from JB Hi Fi than even their original distribution company.
@Topgavin, I ordered my Madoka bluray's from Amazon.co.uk.
Where do you guys buy your merch? Was looking into buying the Madoka blurays but can't find a reliable place to ship to NZ.
@Kaiser: nah, Personal Shopper isn't even a horror. It's just a failed arthouse that have little to say except grief.
...even now. For Raw, I would never expect the positive reactions from mainstream. I think the film really push the tolerance of the voewers, but it was a refrrshing watch.
@Kaiser: now you mentioned 2 films thay I really fond of. I come from Vietnam, so I could easily tell you that the settings are staged. The dialogue is pretty unnatural as well, but the movie grows a lot on me. I still love the striking visual and a long, slow mood the film evoke, and It speaks to one of the theme (women's identity in Vietnam society) that speaks well to me and still relevant...
@Mario: Is personal shopper really that mediocre a horror film?
@Mario: I also got back from seeing Raw a couple of hours ago, though the violence was enjoyable I was expecting it to be more so, it was also surprisingly funny at times.
@Mario: I did eventually see Scent of Green Papaya, while I did like that a plot actually did appear later on I was mostly content to find it a really pretty looking and generally relaxing film.
@Aidan: =< Sorry that anon post was me, was using the work computer and didn't log in.
@Anon, don't do that. Don't hint at future events and just let people see for themselves.
The glasses teacher in scum's wish will have an interesting moment to look out for in the coming episodes, I read on in the manga. Only one chapter left.
*ED instead of OD
@anon928813: usually they will release the music separately from the DVD/Blurays. I believed the OP had released last year, and according to their website the OD gonna release in 5th of April
Does anyone know the release date for Zaregoto's OST? Is it bundled with one of the BDs?
Y'know I'd like to see this Akane-sensei girl attempt to seduce me and just watch her fail at trying to do so.
My guess is that Miura will do another 6 or so chapter run then put it down for another while.
Im so happy Berserk Manga is starting up again, but im curious for how long. I remember sitting through that boat. I was there for all 7 years of it. Im like a hiatus vet now
Pretty much in agreement on titan where after what the first season covers I've pretty much been waiting for it to get back on track before I bother to get back to it.
I should be catching up and sangatsu and acca.
I never saw kekkai sensens first season so there's little chance of me watching the sequel.
Berserk and Natsume I'll just stick with the manga. I don't know about Bahamut, it took me a few episodes to get into before it became fun, but then the ending was disappointing, again maybe there's room for improvement in season 2.
I would hope that eccentric families second season would be able to live up to the potential of building on the first. However it's been a while since I've seen season one, might need to refresh myself.
For the Spring season, it is a season of sequels. From sequels alone, I'll follow Berserk, Eccentric Family, BBB, My Hero Academia, Attack on Titan, Natsume (is it the last season?), How to Raise a Boring girlfriend. I dropped Shingeki no Bahamut after 3 episodes, but might pick it up again before the new season begin.
Before that, Utena and Haruhi.
Gotta love the extend a passionate fan would go. The last time I felt passionate about something anime-wise was Monogatari as there was a period of several months that I watched nothing but that series, and rewatched and rewatched. It just clicked with me personally at that stage of my life.
At this point, ill watch/read anything with Berserk on it. I already own all of the original print runs of the Manga. If I had the money, I would buy everything else.
@Lenlo: I'll be on the same boat with you regarding Berserk. I know I CAN ENDURE it (finger crossed)
Man, your season preview reminded me I soon have to watch another season of CGI Berserk. Im not going to like it, but its a trial I must go through as a hardcore Berserk fan.
Im glad they didnt lose the funny robots in their pursuit of the Grimdark
That flute into Skatman-like singing was great
@Lenlo, I had the biggest smile when Jack destroyed the robots flute and he started singing with his mouth. Looking at clips of the show on youtube I don't think I appreciated just how funny this show was. Also digging Jacks PTSD and the daughters of Aku.
Dude has problems and I loved the singing robot
Have to say, enjoyed seeing Jack again.
Thanks Aidan! Cant wait to watch it tonight
Well I suppose it is moreso samurai Jack wasn't really a large part of my childhood.
Don't know how it is for security but I never really had trouble with it.
Love me some Samurai Jack though
It may just be Malwarebytes actin up. Ill look into it and if its a false flag check it out.
I never really had any opinion of samurai Jack when it was airing.
Oh I'm enthusiastic about Kino season 2, but I want to be cautiously optimistic just in case.
But has anyone read on in the Kino novels to confirm that a second season would have good material to work with, would it fall prey to the light novel curse that apparently many of then weaken by the third volume?
The only issue I've found with kiss is that, in firefox at least, sometimes it slows down my browser but only now and then. Never had any trouble with viruses or mal/spyware on it. Though it won't allow adblock =<
@Aidan: I was surprised at Kino's Journey news as well. Yay for having a new season!!
I have no problem with kiss whatsoever regarding virus. Hehe then try to catch it at Toonami
Yeeeah, sorry, my anti-virus isnt that big a fan of kiss.
You can watch it online at kisscartoon, of course at your own risk ^^
I really want to watch the new Samurai Jack season, but I cant catch it when it airs and dont know where to find it otherwise
Plan on getting the spring season Preview up today or Tommarrow. Things basically written up so it's just a matter of getting it to look right on the site.
Who here is watching the new season of Samurai Jack? That first episode hit me hard with nostalgia. It's like he never left.
Spice and Wolf season 3 may not be so impossible after all. Or hell even a Spice and wolf full remake, FMA Brotherhood style.
Holy crap, Kino's Journey is getting a new anime. Never thought that would happen. Sweet.
Art was great, sound was great, an argument could easily be made for 9/10. Its just cohesive story and efficient use of episodes means alot to me. I kinda had to actively remind my self to watch after ep 6 and then binged 10+.
8.5/10. I really liked the start, the middle kinda lagged plot wise for me which is always my most important metric, and the last 3-4 episodes were great.
@Lenlo: how would you rate it?
@Lenlo: it's the middle part that I completely fell in love with. Well, guess that everyone have different taste huh?
So finally finished Flip Flappers. Had it on my to do list since last season. It ended pretty well imo, but the middle lagged for me in places.
HXH does pull off drama well but one thing that annoys me is how it builds up these big confrontations just to have them fizzle out. An anticlimax may be unexpected but in some case it would be more satisfying to just have things play out predictably.
And it did it better than Naruto, which had 7 years to pull that off.
I think one of the reasons HxH pulled it off so well, is because the first like 100 episodes built up to it. It pulled off the slow transition of basic shounen to well developed drama sort of thing very well. It slow rolled us basically.
Since when did HxH become a feels trip show? ep135 just ruined me, and did it better than actual 'feels trip' shows because of how unexpected and masterfully executed it was. The Chimera ant arc may have been slow, but by itself it was very FMA:B reminiscent with the huge character cast, amazing execution and the conflict in antagonists and humans and their values/morals.
@KAiser: oh man, you remind me again that I need to watch Bela Tarr's films. I remember one of the blogger was frustrated at the Turin Horse for "showing the pot of boiled potato for 10 minutes". I was cackling hard with his comment.
@Mario: The realist genre in general really clicks with me, the neo-realist movement, can't get enough of it.
Selish giant, ratcatcher and fishtank, maybe even gummo might be other good example of social realist stuff.
Bela Tarr did two accessible films in his early career called Prefab people and family nest which had a social realist feel to them.

Little Witch Academia – 11[Blue Moon]

I don’t mind the lighthearted shenanigans of Little Witch Academia but in my opinion it’s episodes like this that will truly make the show memorable. After ten episodes of mere hints as to the state of magic and it’s history we get a truckload of answers. Why is magic being considered antiquated? Because magic is […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 24

When I started this season of Rakugo I was under the impression that this would be Konatsu’s and Yotaro’s story seeing as Yakumo’s had reached it’s end. However to my dismay it appeared that halfway through the season Yakumo has hijacked the series. I previously stated that the story of Rakugo has already ended with […]

Saga of Tanya the Evil – 10[Path to Victory]

What am I to say when the majority of the episode is detailing a military operation? I admit that content has become spare in this series as of late and the Tanya vs God battle has more or less been pushed to the sideline. Tanya had one moment here where it looked like her mission […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. – 11 [Furawau’s Flowers Smell of Malice]

Really ACCA? Only one episode left and you’re still in set-up stage, with the coup is lingering in the air, but never comes in real form. In fact, ACCA is a series about setting up. Its deliberate pacing can really test the viewer’s’ patience, and I totally understand if most of you have fallen out […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 22 [New School Term – Fighter]

We get to an end of 3-gatsu run but it feels more like a new beginning. Like what I feared last week the last episode doesn’t really have a conclusive ending, instead offers us the new semester of Rei and his childhood and his shogi, which in all fairness are the weaker parts of 3-gatsu. […]

Scum’s Wish – 10 [Fragile and Empty]

This week the main spotlight is heading back to our beloved Akane and two of her relationships preys, Mugi and Narumi. Although I really like the way the show addresses each of those tainted relationships until finally we’d get to the bare bone of Mugi and Hanabi’s core relationship, this episode for me is just […]

Little Witch Academia – 10[Bee Commotion]

I remember seeing a remark someone made that Little Witch Academia would lose half it’s fanbase when the realize that they don’t like Saturday morning cartoons all that much. While most likely said in jest, I find there is a certain degree of truth in that statement. I did enjoy this episode of Little Witch […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 23

The extended epilogue continues as Yakumo returns home after the theatre burns down. Some are signifying the burning down of the theatre as the death of Rakugo while others are speaking of it as a new beginning. After all Rakugo can be performed anywhere as long as someone is willing to listen. The members of […]

Saga of Tanya the Evil – 09[Preparations for Advance]

A calm before the storm episode as the war with the Republic draws close to its climax. It’s nice to see the episode start off with Tanya trying to rationalize her actions in the previous episode. What may not be apparent from the anime is that Viktoriya has a tendency of coming up with reasons […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100