Posted by psgels on 31 October 2009 with categories: Kuchuu Buranko

Ah, we get a look into the authors of cheap romance novels. Again, it had a very simple conclusion: just start writing good novels! The fun in this episode yet again came from exploring the life and carreer of this guy.

As I’m also somewhat a writer, I can identify with him a bit: so you’ve written a masterpiece. Then what? You’re popular as hell thanks to your hard work. Now what? I can understand how this guy would eventually fall into a habit of writing stuff that sells good, yet are utterly crappy and formulaic. For a starting author, this means complete suicide, however an already famous author can pull this off and still sell items.

While I’ve never written a masterpiece myself, I do recognize how you can be incredibly passionate about something when you first start out. If you happen to know the right techniques, then despite your lack of experience you can put down an incredible piece of work.

This episode was all about getting in the right mindset. It’s not about writer’s block; this guy was very able to churn out novels if you ignore his vomiting problem. Instead, it was focused on getting him from writing half-assedly to passionately. And that’s something I do recognize from my own writing, especially with my episodic reviews: the more passionately I write abot an episode (whether it was good or bad), the better that entry is usually going to be.

… and yeah, you could probably guess that this wasn’t such a passionately written entry. -_-
Rating: * (Good)

1. RE says:

well
    My interpretation of this episode was little different from yours….

It’s not really about how you suppose to be. Writers! Please Write Good Book!!

…..no
    it just tells us that this is how we are in this society of all good and bad.

2. m says:

I would say that it’s not the quality of his writing per se that is making him ill, but that he wants to be one kind of writer and yet the demands of his job have made him into a hack. However, he is too afraid of not receiving the kind of success his romance novels obtain from the writing he enjoys, and becomes trapped between his desire for approval and his creative drive as a result.

All of the patients thus far have had difficulty asserting themselves, which in different manifestations seems to cause their neuroses.

As I have watched this show I’ve felt the length of each episode seems too short to convey the story of each patient, and the style they have adopted makes each episode sort of incoherent. The interruptions to discuss the subject matter further disrupt the pace of the show, and if it continues like this they’ve completely wasted the noitamina slot.

3. PL says:

thank you m… this show just doesnt live up to the standards noitamina has set in the past at all. Its like bakemonogatari, but much worse, mistaking bizarre and intrusive stylistic choices for “experimental” and “artistic,” and using that as an excuse to write something with very little depth. Personally, I’d rather watch a generic harem…at least the fanservice would be entertaining.

I’d love to be proven wrong and discover that the style is richly laden with symbols that add depths of meaning and nuance to the stories, and that the stories themselves connect in some interesting and meaningful way…perhaps as a savage satire against the psychiatric industry or modern life or something…so far, though, I kind of doubt that will be the case.

4. Machi says:

I think you simplified this one a bit more than it deserved. In the case of this yes you’re right part of the episode was about being able to churn out works out of formulaic routine he developed so he could sell. But its not necessarily just about the money or fame that was the focus to writting passionately. Consider the recurring motif of his first book constantly mentioned as being his most honest work, especially in comparison to the romance novels that he churned out which were far from reality. Is what makes a crucial difference to appreciating this episode, namely acceptance of a writers work.

How does a writer or anyone who does something passionately AND honestly get acceptance? Does he fake it and simply use bravado to cover up ones lack of experience to be accepted, and in the course of this episode that would be the romance novels. Or does one continue to write what they truly want to write with sincerity, even if that doesn’t mean being accepted. And lets face it this is what bothered him as could he tried to stick to the same formula that sold for him, despite being very much uncomfortable with it that he was afraid if his pattern. As with a pattern chances of comparison between works are high and in turn so is discovering weaknesses that arise, which you’d have to address. In this case he couldn’t address that considering that he wasn’t a pervert like the old writer, or has had any experience.

While his lack of success with his debut, at least with quantity (but lets face it quantity does not mean quality). Scared him off from writing what he really wants to write so he stuck to writing those romance novels, esentially I guess the guy just loved writting thats why he still wrote but was uncomfortable “laying eggs” of a topic he was alien to.

I think this episode deserves more of a re-evaluation, considering the motif and imagery that was used which does reveal a more complex and rewarding viewing than the summary written. I’m not concerned about the score but I am concerned at the simplified writing.

5. Machi says:

6. Machi says:

Ah screw it I’ll post my other thoughts here. Though it is just one, the others are in the shoutbox. Here is one thing I’d like others to consider about the style. Why is it that we see the doctor well almost everywhere? Does the doctor really follow his patients?

Is there not the possibility that what we’re seeing on screen is actually the recounting of the patients of their problems, or stressful events to the doctor? After all we never do see the doctor and his patient talking in the hospital, yet in retrospect we don’t necessarily see them leaving conclusively as they visit (except as they do leave at the end as with this episode). So the selectivity of the scenes showed would actually be the doctor and patient talking, rather than assuming the doctor actually stalks the patient, and dissecting the experience to get to the root of the problem. Which may be why we do get a lack of “depth” because we only get scenes or events that would be what one tells a psychologist (the stressful moments). The show I think is rather rewarding and like Kaiba does invite the viewers to interpret, especially with only the evidence at hand.

7. m says:

I would rather watch this show backwards than see anymore harem shows. I haven’t read the short stories, but I assume that there is more content in them than we get in each episode. The world we’re presented with is completely shallow. I just wish the episodes were maybe twice as long so they wouldn’t seem like they were built by someone with ADHD. I don’t mind the experimentation with the style, I just think it ends up eating away at the time budget. I appreciate any kind of novelty studios want to engage in; the medium can use whatever it can get. In its present form the show just doesn’t compare well against the last two shows in the noitamina block. I still look forward to watching it more than, say, Darker than Black.

8. Machi says:

Well I think the world presented would be shallow, in the sense that you see only through the eyes or narration of one character. It certainly limits perspectives, even more so when you consider that character has a fixation on something that is causing his disorder. So the thing is it may be a complaint that the world is shallow but its what you’d expect given the nature of the show, its not necessarily the fault of the experimentation style. In fact if the show were more straight forward, excluding the style, I’d say this could run at two cases per episode rather than one. As you said they do linger on the presentation, but I think that is also a strength in its own regard as the shows complexity makes it more rewarding than a simple “moral of the day” show. The show does go more for style rather than expansiveness, the style is a recurring motif of the issue to build up on the theme.

Though what I do see as a potential pitfall for this series with the style is that I don’t really see this peaking. There is consistency with the episodes so far but at the same time it doesn’t climax. Whats more I do see the potential for this show to fall into a set pattern, especially with the three cases so far being centered on the myopia of the patients as their downfall. Course its still early on so I’d love to be proven wrong about this prediction. Even then if this does come to pass its still very much entertaining to watch.

9. PL says:

Ok, here’s my issue with this show. First, It’s simplistic. The psychology involved is less in-depth or interesting than a General Psych 101 course. Second, the characters are flat, which is somewhat to be expected given the format of the show. So, we get neither deep emotional truth nor philosophical insight in the nature of the mind. This is just entertainment, and in my opinion, its not even great entertainment. At least Sora no Otoshimono can make me laugh. So, we come to the style. I’m a fan of stylized and experimental anime, when it enhances the story. I love Natsu no Arashi for instance. What I’ve seen of kaiba was wonderful. And my new favorite movie is sky crawlers. But often the style doesn’t enhance the story, but rather intrudes in it. For instance, the digitized human faces on the patients. This doesn’t do anything but break my involvement in the story. It is neither aesthetically pleasing, nor does it carry serious symbolic significance. In fact, none of the style seems to carry interesting or affecting symbolism. Rather, its overly simplistic and even childish. For instance, in episode 2, the guy who can’t get rid of his hard-on, turns into a rhinoceros with his horn all decorated and stylized. Alright, the horn is way too obviously phallic, and then it quickly becomes clear that his problem is tied up with his pent up anger and inability to express his feelings, and the rhino is known for its temper, plus, every time he switches it is when he’s getting pissed off and the rhino looks like its about to charge. Whoopdedoo! Machi, you said you prefer this structure to a simplistic moral of the day, but that’s exactly what it is. “Trust other people.” “Express your emotions and make decisions for yourself.” Might as well be Leave it to Beaver. You said the motifs in the style served to highlight the over-arching themes of the series. What themes? Maybe I’m really missing something, but as far as I can tell, it’s exactly what you said, an attempt to show what a visit to a shrink is like. But, instead of engaging deeply with the nature of psychology, we get an episodic show where profound psychological problems causing serious somatic and/or behavioral disturbances are fixed with a vitamin shot and pat greeting card advice. Yeah, cool, the doctor changes forms because therapists often change from consoling to hostile, etc. Everything is tripped out because visiting the shrink is a bizarre experience, the non-speaking characters are 2-D because that’s how they are represented to the doctor by the patient. But pry up the surface and there is nothing deeper. No symbolic representations of Jungian Archetypes or the Freudian death-drive. No probing investigation of the nature of mental illness and its treatment. No exploration of philosophic questions like the mind-body problem. But hey, it does have Boner-man and Mickey Mouse. Shows like Darker than Black are more emotionally and intellectually satisfying. This is entertainment, made to look artsy with some stylistic choices that actually intrude upon the story rather than enhance it. For a literary anime with style done well, that examines the human psyche meaningfully, I’ll be watching Aoi Bungaku this season. That’s the real “Noitamina” show, it just doesn’t happen to be in the “Noitamina” time-slot.

10. Machi says:

I’m watching both Aoi and this, I don’t see why you’re hostile about having to pick one over the other. And yes I never said this show was deep but rather entertaining, and indeed it is at only a 101 level in psychology (of course its still early so this is still up in the air). As for the aesthetics I would say that is purely more of taste than anything, you may be repulsed by the digitized faces but as you write or if I do reply its much more akin to personal taste.

As for the moral of the day thing it seems you misunderstood, as I’ve said the show easily may fall into that pitfall and indeed it does so far given that the cases are all quite similar due to the idea of supression. However, this is where the highly stylized approach helps as while the moral may be simple the presentation of animation certainly catches attention to divert it from that. In a nutshell the eye candy or totally weird imagery is what you remember on more than the “moral of the day”, as one writes the first thing that does come to mind is the weird imagery from the Rhino to Rooster. The moral of the day comes secondary, and even then I recall the theme more not because of the story written but of the images related to it.

With regards to the images missing the norm of what we would associate with psychology, I would argue that the Freudian and Jungian are there but obviously as you note at a 101 level. While I don’t really want to go jumping all over this, especially given how young the show is, is it necessarily a fault to be at the 101 level? Considering that the show is trying to be entertaining would it necessarily jive well with the humor to go into more advanced or serious psychology jargon or imagery? Especially given the more complicated nature of such images that would put the show in danger of being very contrived. At this point at least the images used I think are apt they are simple but in line with the narrative presented. They may not enhance but they decorate it well enough.

What this all points back to is the fact that the show is indeed not deep, well given the few episodes so far (so its hard to judge that decisively at this point). And this may lead to your frustration as you’re looking for something the show isn’t, and I think the episodes and the animation style (crass humor as well) do all point to telling you not to take it TOO seriously. Which is why this would be a worlds difference from Aoi Buganku, even then its an unfair comparison given that they’re practically apples and oranges so I don’t see why that show needs to be mentioned here. I mentioned Kaiba because the animation style was indeed off putting to many but overall still rewarding when taken into context, much like this show the images are weird and spontaneous but still linked by the thread of the issue. So in the end WHY look for DEEP philosophy in this show is totally up in the air, and Darker than Black isn’t any more philosophical either, and I would argue at the intellectual level I see the show more as pulp action (and just to clariffy pulp and action aren’t bad.)

11. PL says:

I don’t have a problem with this show, per se. No, I don’t enjoy it. But really, my problem is with anime fans who want to pretend that this show is somehow more artistic than or has more depth than your average moe or shounen. As you said, and what my point basically was, this show is just simple entertainment. And I do think its sad that this show is in the noitamina slot, which has traditionally been reserved for more sophisticated and intellectually fulfilling shows. I like good old fashioned entertainment. What irks me is people that want to bash a show like Sacred Blacksmith, and then sing high praises for this one, when it really is just apples and oranges, as you said. Anyway, I don’t think we’re in any kind of serious disagreement, (though I do think there is more going on philosophically in DtB than you are giving it credit for, but that’s for another day ;) ). Jyaa Mata

@Anon: Lol I love B-movie type stuff, because the rules are off.
I was the only person who watched Mazinkaiser skl and shin mazinger and skullman.
Anonymous2026379
@Kaiser Takeshi Koike really wanted to really sell it as a grindhouse feature and I ate that shit up; I really dug the tone he was going for.
@Anon: It was strange seeing that Goemon short, much as I enjoyed it, thats the goriest I seen lupin get.
Anonymous2026379
Megalo box is pure retro while lupin is a mix of old and new...and you're right; people just think they can't jump right into it. But that's why more people should be talking about it; to let the masses know that you don't need a starting point to get into the Lupin franchise
I'm a massive fan of the devilman manga and I thought devilman crybaby was better than it.
Anonymous2026379
90's-esque throwback feeling shows like lupin and megalo box have been giving me
Anonymous2026379
Luoin part 5 is definitely mixing the best of new and old. Honestly, I've been having a blast with it as well as this generally 90
I think the problem is, people see lupin as this long thing they can't get into, when really its so episodic/standalone mostly you can pick up and watch.
And of course getting the best bits out of old and new.
*visual style
I'm a fan of this hybrid old and new style, megalobox does it too, mine fujiko aswell and casshern sins.
I was surprised by how well the Fujiko mine show came together in the end.
I'll be interested in picking up more facts about thrm.
Come think of it, Akira Kurosawa did some old western (eastern?) in Russian, that had an Ainu in it.
Anonymous2026379
Asirpa is sooooo adorable.....almost feels patronizing to say that about her due to how badass she is
Anonymous2026379
What makes Fujiko work so well as this sexy icon is that she isn't just sexy: she's smart as shit and uses that sexiness to dominate and control her opponents (similar to bayonetta) rather than be chained by the objectification of her opponents (and the viewers for that matter)
Anonymous2026379
I wonder what other obscure cameos we may get this season. And yea you're right about some of Lupin's potentially sexist traits being assuaged by his level of cool and the genuine respect he shows a good deal of the women he has encountered throughout the series
@Anon: Yet still a fun film at the same time.
Anonymous2026379
@Kaiser Yea, mamo was a pretty dark element introduced to the lupin franchise; and considering the tone of the gravestone of Jigen, it makes sense he would cameo there
@Mario: Help I want to kidnap Asirpa =<
@Anon: I'm probably as surprised as you, at finding someone to talk to about Lupin on here.
@Anon: And through comparing/contrasting the jigen grave stone and Fujiko mine, with some of the sillier older ones, it shows the Lupin characters are flexible enough to work both in a darker AND sillier context.
*character
@Anon: Fujiko is precisely how a fanservicey character should work and how built in/essential it is to her haracter, without becoming an irritant.
@Anon: By all means Lupin himself shouldn't be a character we like, much like Bond, but like Bond theres a coolness to the character that allows us to love him.
@Anon: Another great thing about Lupin is how it uses its 60s cool to get away with what would normally probably be considered fairly sexist.
@Anon: I had a big smile on my face when Mamo made a cameo appearance at the end of one of the recent ones and thats because I remember the Lupin Mamo movie was one of those first anime that I watched about 20 years aago.
Anonymous2026379
not to mention that its one of the few anime this season that actually knows how to utilize dialogue to explore flesh out its characters rather than exposition or contrivance: looking at you darling in the franxx
Anonymous2026379
@Kaiser-Eoghan Nice fun facts; but yea Lupin III is a series that has always had an amazing sense of pacing and adventure, traits that are definitely on display this season
@Anon: Its a huge franchise too so I'm often never sure where to go next.
@Anon: You may or may not know this, but the voice actor for solid snake voiced Lupin in one of the dubs.
@Anon: I watched a few episodes of the Italy set lupin show too .
Its a fun franchise due to its cast but its something I have to follow irregularly, lest it get repetitive.
@Anon: Fun fact, guy who directed the gold of babylon film was a famous B-movie noir director in the 60s.
Dont trust anything written by the original SAO author. Everything is his fault. Kirito is not in this series.
Even the original SAO author has little to do with it, which is why its actually good
So SAO Alt is basically completely removed from the rest of SAO
@Anon: Lupin is one of those things I dip in and out of, whatever part of the franchise it is. I've seen birdcage kingdom, Mamo, cagliostro, nostradamus, Jigens grave stone, mine fujiko and the recent Goemon centred special.
Anonymous2026379
it's a damn shame not a lot of ppl are talkig about/watching lupin the third this season
But for all I know with that team behind it, its an improvement, but theres probably not much point in me watching as I dropped the first season after less than 10 episodes.
See how he attempts to seduce me into watching something related to sword art.
Huh... I didnt know the writer for SAO Alt was written by the Kino's Journey creator and produced by the Flip Flappers people. Explains a lot
I wish I knew what you meant by shaman girls, and I cant wait
@Lenlo, Oh I know Leskinen. May he find his Japanese Shaman girls one day. But seeing as I know the story I wanna experience it differently.
@Mario: Its even set in hokkaido, Korean/Japanese director, Japanese cast, Ken Watanabe is in it: https://letterboxd.com/film/unforgiven-2013/
Also, I love the ED. Really, 2 episodes in, I love S;G all over again.
@Kaiser: really? They remade Unforgiven in Japanese?
its*
Like... is good.
But your missing out on the cult of Leskinen. The engrish is actually one of my favorite parts
@Lenlo, Meanwhile I am happily waiting for the dub.
Dangit... I have to wait another week for Steins;Gate 0 now. I cant do this.
@Mario: The Japanese remake of unforgiven had ainu people in it.
Anonymous2025797
Also I wonder if budget is distributed according to the director, some animes will spend more in the first episode. Some will spend more in the last ones. It's subjective, but if it's like all business it is looking for the better result at the minimum expense. Hence why I believe Berserk was made the way it did.
Anonymous2025797
@Kaiser-Eoghan - Ideally a story should be as long as it needs. But reality seems that a number of episodes is decided before production. And so you either have to stretch or cut material. Kinda like that 300 page manga of Les Miserables, is simply unfeasible translating that book into that few pages.
Oberstein was a great character.
I actually feel Aidan can do a good job on it. Sometimes been too exposed to the material may lead to clouded eyes.
Though I'm surprised by how I unexpectedly laughed at wotaku, I do wonder if later on it will include any slight drama elements to sustain interest.
OMO; OBERsteins; Gate =P
From watching episode 2 of golden kamuy, yeah, the source material definitely is lifting this.
I'm going to have to wait and see on steins; gate 0, it is encouraging to here this might be darker , at the same time I remember having to sit through too much goofy humour in the first one.
I was actually surprised, that, while rare, there were some moments of humour, that lightened it for me.
Throughout the entire series I expected Oberstein to pull some inevitable double cross. And was shocked when he never did.
@Kaiser: Agree with Oberstein. I think antagonists are es important as the mains in fiction and I loved this guy, he's perfect for series like these.
Galactic heroes was an example of where when watching it, when big death scenes occured, I would make noooooo and shouting noises at the screen while clenching my fist.
I love characters like Oberstein, shrewd, clever, but done right to where I can believe it, not characters like, say Lelouch .
I'd be concerned if the new galactic heroes series skimps on the violence, that kind of thing needs to be in there, in most shows/films and shown to be explicit, consequences need to be shown.
*about, not with
Sadly, most original 2+ cours series I know feel dragged whereas many 1 cours originals could have needed ~3 more episodes. Talking with series that have an actual plot of course.
I really like the 13 episodes thingy for originals but I wish there would be more 26 episodes series, especially for adaptions.
@Kaiser: I agree. Nothing kills my interest faster than formularic episodes and repetition.
In general I think 50 episodes would be the most I'd watch for an anime, 39 seems ideal.
Or worse and the romance drama is the main plot and it's Kiznaiver all over again, while the rest is just flavor to make the romances more forced since they're the MCs are only teens and such. Dunno but I can never bring myself to care about this kind of stuff.
Though better 110 episodes of galactic heroes than a long shounen that just repeats itself.
Speaking of recent episodes, I unironically thing that FranXX's world (building) is pretty interesting (although I hope those klaxxosaurusses will be more than just random cannon fodder) but I doubt the series will ever get to the main plot again the next time.
Same here. It was really the only time I did this. I am usually exhausted by just thinking about marathoning long series. It's the reason why I won't get into FMP for the new series either. LotGH was an exception since I found it easily to watch for some reason.
Man, just image burning through 110 episodes of it and my spirit fades away
Watched that whole series ages ago.
Just watched the first three Neue These episodes and I surprinsingly liked it. Thought I would hate it due to being an OVA fan, and I still prefer the old designs by far but overall it's pretty good. I think I might even prefer this version of the first battle, but I have to rewatch the old one I guess.
Also while I can't remember which episode, Yang picks up a book with the author of the series' name on it.
Arslan feels so lightweight by contrast/comparison.
And I think, given your knowledge KTtravlos, that a series review of the new galactic heroes season would probably benefit from you writing it.
I bring up the music in my earlier comment, because I can understand your reservations regarding the music choice in the remake.
And certainly one of those shows, that going back to the first episode after finishing, gives a strong perspective just on how evolving the series was.
*despite me not
Despite not being monarchist , because the characters were human moreso than cartoon characters I couldn't hate on Reinhard.
@Travlos: I suppose by the time it got to Julian's arc, I was surprised they were still bothering to fight but the fact that they were essentially the last bastion of their beliefs made it special.
@Travlos: Sometimes when I just finish a show, its a case where I HAVE to jump online immediately after and excitedly ramble out an essay on it.
niello
ugh democracy
@Kaiser ultimately LOGH for me was a decisive point in my political life, as I think it made the best defense of democracy in any form I have seen. And it worked partly because the opponent was presented in the best possible incarnation (Rienhard). Yang's continued adherence to democracy, despite recongising its flaws, helped me avoid a personal descent into authoritarian politics.
@Kaiser. I am happy you had a good experience. I watched the prequels a while after the main show and I was happy because it was great getting back to those characters. The prequels were also great in fleshing the setting and the characters. So yes, take your time and a break. That way the prequels will be like visiting a place you liked again after a while.
@KTtravlos: I have some other stuff to get through before watching the galactic heroes prequel though =<
YES according to discord poster I'm not a millenial!
Sorry for overposting. I have always always being an incredibly verbose person.
@Vonter; Not that I oppose captilistically made for a buck cinema, it can be entertaining yes, but I set a standard.
@Vonter: As open as I am to trash cinema, I consider the resident evil films, like the superhero ones, anti-art.
I can understand why people don't like Villier, but he did I think work as a device to add extra tension.
I feel some release at finishing but at the same time sadness at saying goodbye to the show and its characters.
, showing its age.
But for something of this length, it kept itself up far better than most long shows and I feel the length its somewhat justified.

On another note….as corny as the third ending theme is, I got the feels listening to it.
But while the first 50 odd episodes were an easy job for me aswell as all of the 4th season and some of the late 3rd season made it difficult for me to pull myself away from it, the dialogue even though often well observed did become difficult to follow at times and somewhere in the middle theres a stretch of episodes, bar some moments that feel a bit of an endurance test and the animation is at
Its attention to detail I felt was at its strongest in the documentary and the series dedication to filling the view in on its world building/fictional history.
I admired the scope, ambition of this series and the battles eventually grew on me and I was surprised by just how visceral the melee combat got which suited me perfectly. At the same time for all the strategy and action, I found myself more in it for the story, characters and intrigue/politicking. Those battles, due in part to their music choices, had an epic feel to them
In the end the characters stood out for me the best were Reinhard, Oberstein (for being essentially the amazing man with the plan), Reuntal, Kircheis and Rubinsky, I warmed up to Julian, Yang and Schenkop. When important deaths occurred, they felt highly dramatic, in four cases emotionally effecting for me .
Also, KTtravlos, thank you for pushing me toward watching the original legend of the galactic heroes, my opinion on the series is largely a mixed one, but by the end I felt I’d watched something rewarding and I’m happy its crossed off my list and I should have gotten round to it sooner.
I'm probably the oldest here, being 32. Which apparently makes me around Yang-wenli's age, which according to someone means I'm middle aged .
To the discord guy who brought it up, its difficult not for me to be political, my father was an activist and is a Marxist , I ended up becoming a contradiction a semi-agnostic, but spiritually inclined/tolerant socialist with internationalist ideology.
@Aidan: Ends in very cliffhanger/abrupt indy way though and the things weakness/how to kill thems too easy.
@Aidan: I liked how it explains nothing also and the creature design and how it visual communicates to the audience.
@Aidan: While I won't say anything, a character death is handled in what I considered a schmaltzy manner. There is a particularly headscratching decision the characters make that you'll either rationalize or hate, but it leads to one of the tenser set pieces later on.
@Aidan: Quiet place has a good idea at its backbone, that they use sign language in the film to communicate and occassional whispers adds to it, it and the silence allows for a mood to be effectively communicated. It does have jump scares, I wasn't annoyed by them, but I never felt the film required them.
@Aidan: I read the discord, if you ever need to ask a question relating to film, come to me about it, I will without fail be able to answer 9 times out of 10.
I was adequately amused by the first episode of wotaku, but found the male lead funnier, which I'm attributing to him be more deadpan.
We found a convient weekend for everyone
*watching
I would also float the idea of recommendation podcasts every now and then.
I will listen to the podcast more in full later. But I was surprised after asking/suggesting it on the discord, that it came so soon.
I am thinking of re-watching gasaraki and ai yori aoshi.
@Niello: Perhaps after a while of watch the anime I will simply jump on to the manga.
I watched Resident Evil: Vendetta yesterday. It's incredible dumb but kind of fun. I do wonder if in terms of entertainment are like the best videogame based movies. Since it plays like a videogame, it's based on a videogame and is more or less in line with the tone the series has had for a while.
niello
It's such a shame that Golden Kamuy art direction is such a train wreck.
and for the sake of Clausewitz there is clinical term for what Reinhard did. It is called "defeat in detail". Napoleon was a master of it. Proper way to defeat it , is to order the threatened force to retreat to a point where other allied forces are converging. The enemy will either have to retreat, or fight at a disadvantage. The 1813 and 1814 campaigns against Napoleon are examples of that.
Episode 2 of LOGGH: Der Neue Thesis was much better than the first. The music is still an issue, but Yang was well portrayed. I do think there is lack of the directors in showing the cruelty of war, like the first one did. We will see.
@Mario: Still need to see his short films and black Peter.
@Anon: I already know the manga and enjoy it, think the anime is a good adaption so far. Feels good to see a series about video games that are actually just games and romance without tsunderes, tons of blushing or unworldly naive harem girls.
Anonymous2016456
the anime
Anonymous2016456
how do you guys think of wotakoi?
@Kaiser: Hereditary sounds pretty promising here
Forman's an interesting case, when you look at the huge disconnect from his early films from the 60s and then what he went on to make.
Ah, unfortunately I am not a fan of country music so Nashville didn't appeal to me =<
@Mario: And before Jack kept playing the same role over and over.
@Mario: Aside from Courtney Love's presence, Larry Flynt is an excellent film. I love the custom camera tricks Kubrick used in Lyndon , dog day afternoon suceeded for me because it did so much more than being just a bank rob film. I wish Spielberg would return to his pre-90s films .
Cuckoo's Nest reminds me of the great 1975 Oscar Best Picture, which for me was Oscar's greatest line-up. The line-ups for that year were: Cuckoo Nest (winner), Nashville, Barry Landon, Dog Day Afternoon and Jaws
@Kaiser: RIP the man. I've seen 2 of his, Amadeus and Cuckoo Nest. Both great but they were more because of the strength of the source
@Mario: Milos forman has died =<
Indeed the character designs in steins; gate have seen changes....shockingly mayuri's chest is larger than Daru's ;)
I can live with that. Interested to see what made you reserved.
@KTravlos: you won't agree with my series review then. I have a lot of reservations on VE
Also I finished Violet Evergarden. This was an exceptional series in my book.
the two characters. Finally the battle soundtrack was simply wrong.

I am going to watch it because it is LOGH. And frankly after watching the new one I felt the fact that the old one was dated technical wise (but not in music). But at least on comparison of first episodes, the old one did a better job at giving depth to Reinhard and Keircheis.
well I watched the first episode of the new LOGH and then watched the first episode of the older version. The update in the art is good..but. If the old one was too talky, this one is too boom boom. I also felt that they did not sue the time well to establish Reihard and Kircheis well. Especially the removal of some lines that were in the first episode of the original, really took away a lot from
@Amagi: I can see your point but what a premise for Golden Kamuy.
Although golden kamuy is labeled seinen, which gives me some more hope for it.
@Amagi: agree with you about remembering stuffs you've watched. For me, it's always until the second watch that I can remember the plot or characters clearly. Otherwise, all will get hazy like a dream
Anonymous2011116
@Anon Watch a few eps and then male an informed decision based on that; I find the storytelling to be a bit weak but you might not feel the same
@Anon, If you can ignore the rather odd fanservice and sex symbolism it's actually a pretty enjoyable show with good animation whose story has been getting better.
Think it's always the best to watch the first episode since other people might hate something you will love or vice versa.
@Anon: For me it still feels like Kiznaiver but I think it really depends on how much you care about the characters and teen relationship deama.
Anonymous2010671
Hey is Darlin the Franxx actually good? It looked kind of just like an ecchi mecha series, but just kind of glancing at the reviews over here makes me think it's more than I'm giving it credit for

Legend of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These – 2/3[The Battle of Astarte/An Indomitable Prodigy]

If I was to judge this adaption based solely on the first three episodes I would declare it a resounding success. For while I do really like the old series, it does have a rather slow start. I say i only truly got invested in it around episode 3 or 4 when the more political […]

Golden Kamuy – 02 [Nopperabo]

Leave it to Japanese cartoon that done the Western genre better than the Westerners, at least from what we have seen so far (note: despite my pun, Western the genre doesn’t refer to the Western culture, but to the American Old West). Granted, Japanese cinema and literature has a strong tradition of samurai genre, which […]

Hinamatsuri – 02 [This Is How You Have a ESP Battle!]

Welcome to THE comedy gold of the season. Before I get into anything specific, let’s me discuss about what make this little show about a psychic girl and a yakuza hilarious in the first place. The main source of humor in Hinamatsuri largely comes from situation-based weirdness. Putting these characters out of their comfort zones […]

Darling in the Franxx – 14[Punishment and Confession]

Last time Darling and the Franxx had it’s best episode yet which raised my opinion of the series and gave me hopes for greater things moving forward. So it’s sad that they follow this up with the worst episode of the series to date. This episode was pure frustration to watch because you knew exactly […]

Megalo Box – 2 [The Man Only Dies Once]

Welcome to the Spring 2018 anime season! I am proud to present to you the Ashita no Joe 50th Anniversary project, Megalo Box. Easily the most stylish anime of the season. Lets jump in! With just 2 episodes, Megalo Box has become my favorite for the season. Everything about it feels like it comes from […]

Darling in the Franxx – 13[The Beast and the Prince]

That was the best episode of Darling in the Franxx to date. Truly I am impressed with this though it may be perhaps because the fanservice aspects of the show were not present at all during this episode. Todays episode was spent entirely on the past of Hiro and Zero Two. When this episode is […]

Fate/Extra Last Encore – 08-10[No Second Strike ― Dead End ― /Golden Theater of the Deranged ― Aestus Domus Aurea ― /Unlimited――― ― Unlimited/ Raise・Dead ―]

It hard to have an opinion on the last three episodes of Fate/Extra when the content has been quite similar to the previous episodes of the cour. For now the series has ended with the remaining episodes coming as a special later. Still unknown if that was the actual special broadcast that was originally considered […]

Darling in the Franxx – 10-12[The City of Eternity/Partner Shuffle/The Garden Where It All Began]

Three episode coverage this week as many things got in the way of my casual blogging, the much late preview being one of them. I must say that the last few episodes of Franxx have been quite strong as we have had a string of character development episodes which have really fleshed out the cast. […]

“I wallow in anime mediocrity”

For me a mediocre show is one that I can watch and enjoy, but which does not really break new ground in elements of animation, story, or cinematography, or does not “move” me. It does not if you will touch the “higher” emotions and faculties of who I am, but does leave me satisfied at […]

Kokkoku – 42.5/100

There are lots of bad anime out there, for one reason or another. Whether it be stilted animation, terrible writing or bad direction, a good portion of each season is simply not worth it. Kokkoku is not a bad anime. It is something much worse. Kokkoku is a mediocre anime. Bad ones get talked about, […]

Junji Ito Collection Anime Review – 40/100

In the realm of manga there is a man whose name is inescapable when the genre of horror is brought up. That man is Junji Ito and his work is considered legendary for its artistic detail, mastery of manga paneling and it’s outlandish imaginative concepts. Up till now his work has yet to have an […]

Yuru Camp (Winter 2018) Review – 74/100

I admit that I underestimated Yuru Camp back in its first few episodes. I took it as a standard, run-on-the-mill slice of life show and I fully expected to give it 3 episodes at max before throwing it into the deep sea of forgotten anime. But as time pass, I can certainly see many good […]

Neo Yokio – 96/100

This may be half a year overdue but I simply can’t accept that none of the writing staff of Star Crossed Anime have cover the the biggest development in anime where Netflix took a hand in producing anime in the form of Neo Yokio. Taking place in the metropolis of Neo Yokio, a mashup between […]

Devilman Crybaby – 83/100

It’s an exciting time to be an anime fan where new business models and players are making big waves within the animation industry. After debuting with the original and excellently-produced Neo Yokio, the juggernaut streaming service of Netflix has decided to revive the classic series of Devilman and gives it the full adaption treatment. By […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 69/100

Fantasy is a rather prolific genre in anime, with a vast majority of Isekai and Shounen fitting snugly into it. Most take place in their own unique setting, either Amestris of Full Metal Alchemist or the made of world of the latest Isekai trash. Few however try to set themselves in our world. To peel […]

Mary and the Witch’s Flower – 73/100 (Joint Review)

Wooper: Mary and the Witch’s Flower is the first feature film from Studio Ponoc, which spun off from Studio Ghibli in early 2015. Given Ghibli’s towering reputation, the bar was high for this inaugural flick, which recently made its way to U.S. theaters, giving Lenlo and I a chance to see it on the big […]

In This Corner of the World (2016) Movie Review – 90/100

In this Corner of the World (for the purpose of this review, I’ll refer it as “Corner”), is the truest slice of life drama if you ever encounter one, in that it’s a slice into an ordinary life of an ordinary girl during the War period. That speaks into the very first strength of Corner, […]

Houseki no Kuni (Fall 2017) Review – 92/100

Make no mistake, Houseki no Kuni is the most ambitious anime project of the year. Not only because it’s an entirely CG project (and make a damn good use of it, mind you), or because of its narrative scope that at once strange, grand and beauty, but also in its very conception in their production […]