Posted by psgels on 31 October 2009 with categories: Kuchuu Buranko

Ah, we get a look into the authors of cheap romance novels. Again, it had a very simple conclusion: just start writing good novels! The fun in this episode yet again came from exploring the life and carreer of this guy.

As I’m also somewhat a writer, I can identify with him a bit: so you’ve written a masterpiece. Then what? You’re popular as hell thanks to your hard work. Now what? I can understand how this guy would eventually fall into a habit of writing stuff that sells good, yet are utterly crappy and formulaic. For a starting author, this means complete suicide, however an already famous author can pull this off and still sell items.

While I’ve never written a masterpiece myself, I do recognize how you can be incredibly passionate about something when you first start out. If you happen to know the right techniques, then despite your lack of experience you can put down an incredible piece of work.

This episode was all about getting in the right mindset. It’s not about writer’s block; this guy was very able to churn out novels if you ignore his vomiting problem. Instead, it was focused on getting him from writing half-assedly to passionately. And that’s something I do recognize from my own writing, especially with my episodic reviews: the more passionately I write abot an episode (whether it was good or bad), the better that entry is usually going to be.

… and yeah, you could probably guess that this wasn’t such a passionately written entry. -_-
Rating: * (Good)

1. RE says:

well
    My interpretation of this episode was little different from yours….

It’s not really about how you suppose to be. Writers! Please Write Good Book!!

…..no
    it just tells us that this is how we are in this society of all good and bad.

2. m says:

I would say that it’s not the quality of his writing per se that is making him ill, but that he wants to be one kind of writer and yet the demands of his job have made him into a hack. However, he is too afraid of not receiving the kind of success his romance novels obtain from the writing he enjoys, and becomes trapped between his desire for approval and his creative drive as a result.

All of the patients thus far have had difficulty asserting themselves, which in different manifestations seems to cause their neuroses.

As I have watched this show I’ve felt the length of each episode seems too short to convey the story of each patient, and the style they have adopted makes each episode sort of incoherent. The interruptions to discuss the subject matter further disrupt the pace of the show, and if it continues like this they’ve completely wasted the noitamina slot.

3. PL says:

thank you m… this show just doesnt live up to the standards noitamina has set in the past at all. Its like bakemonogatari, but much worse, mistaking bizarre and intrusive stylistic choices for “experimental” and “artistic,” and using that as an excuse to write something with very little depth. Personally, I’d rather watch a generic harem…at least the fanservice would be entertaining.

I’d love to be proven wrong and discover that the style is richly laden with symbols that add depths of meaning and nuance to the stories, and that the stories themselves connect in some interesting and meaningful way…perhaps as a savage satire against the psychiatric industry or modern life or something…so far, though, I kind of doubt that will be the case.

4. Machi says:

I think you simplified this one a bit more than it deserved. In the case of this yes you’re right part of the episode was about being able to churn out works out of formulaic routine he developed so he could sell. But its not necessarily just about the money or fame that was the focus to writting passionately. Consider the recurring motif of his first book constantly mentioned as being his most honest work, especially in comparison to the romance novels that he churned out which were far from reality. Is what makes a crucial difference to appreciating this episode, namely acceptance of a writers work.

How does a writer or anyone who does something passionately AND honestly get acceptance? Does he fake it and simply use bravado to cover up ones lack of experience to be accepted, and in the course of this episode that would be the romance novels. Or does one continue to write what they truly want to write with sincerity, even if that doesn’t mean being accepted. And lets face it this is what bothered him as could he tried to stick to the same formula that sold for him, despite being very much uncomfortable with it that he was afraid if his pattern. As with a pattern chances of comparison between works are high and in turn so is discovering weaknesses that arise, which you’d have to address. In this case he couldn’t address that considering that he wasn’t a pervert like the old writer, or has had any experience.

While his lack of success with his debut, at least with quantity (but lets face it quantity does not mean quality). Scared him off from writing what he really wants to write so he stuck to writing those romance novels, esentially I guess the guy just loved writting thats why he still wrote but was uncomfortable “laying eggs” of a topic he was alien to.

I think this episode deserves more of a re-evaluation, considering the motif and imagery that was used which does reveal a more complex and rewarding viewing than the summary written. I’m not concerned about the score but I am concerned at the simplified writing.

5. Machi says:

6. Machi says:

Ah screw it I’ll post my other thoughts here. Though it is just one, the others are in the shoutbox. Here is one thing I’d like others to consider about the style. Why is it that we see the doctor well almost everywhere? Does the doctor really follow his patients?

Is there not the possibility that what we’re seeing on screen is actually the recounting of the patients of their problems, or stressful events to the doctor? After all we never do see the doctor and his patient talking in the hospital, yet in retrospect we don’t necessarily see them leaving conclusively as they visit (except as they do leave at the end as with this episode). So the selectivity of the scenes showed would actually be the doctor and patient talking, rather than assuming the doctor actually stalks the patient, and dissecting the experience to get to the root of the problem. Which may be why we do get a lack of “depth” because we only get scenes or events that would be what one tells a psychologist (the stressful moments). The show I think is rather rewarding and like Kaiba does invite the viewers to interpret, especially with only the evidence at hand.

7. m says:

I would rather watch this show backwards than see anymore harem shows. I haven’t read the short stories, but I assume that there is more content in them than we get in each episode. The world we’re presented with is completely shallow. I just wish the episodes were maybe twice as long so they wouldn’t seem like they were built by someone with ADHD. I don’t mind the experimentation with the style, I just think it ends up eating away at the time budget. I appreciate any kind of novelty studios want to engage in; the medium can use whatever it can get. In its present form the show just doesn’t compare well against the last two shows in the noitamina block. I still look forward to watching it more than, say, Darker than Black.

8. Machi says:

Well I think the world presented would be shallow, in the sense that you see only through the eyes or narration of one character. It certainly limits perspectives, even more so when you consider that character has a fixation on something that is causing his disorder. So the thing is it may be a complaint that the world is shallow but its what you’d expect given the nature of the show, its not necessarily the fault of the experimentation style. In fact if the show were more straight forward, excluding the style, I’d say this could run at two cases per episode rather than one. As you said they do linger on the presentation, but I think that is also a strength in its own regard as the shows complexity makes it more rewarding than a simple “moral of the day” show. The show does go more for style rather than expansiveness, the style is a recurring motif of the issue to build up on the theme.

Though what I do see as a potential pitfall for this series with the style is that I don’t really see this peaking. There is consistency with the episodes so far but at the same time it doesn’t climax. Whats more I do see the potential for this show to fall into a set pattern, especially with the three cases so far being centered on the myopia of the patients as their downfall. Course its still early on so I’d love to be proven wrong about this prediction. Even then if this does come to pass its still very much entertaining to watch.

9. PL says:

Ok, here’s my issue with this show. First, It’s simplistic. The psychology involved is less in-depth or interesting than a General Psych 101 course. Second, the characters are flat, which is somewhat to be expected given the format of the show. So, we get neither deep emotional truth nor philosophical insight in the nature of the mind. This is just entertainment, and in my opinion, its not even great entertainment. At least Sora no Otoshimono can make me laugh. So, we come to the style. I’m a fan of stylized and experimental anime, when it enhances the story. I love Natsu no Arashi for instance. What I’ve seen of kaiba was wonderful. And my new favorite movie is sky crawlers. But often the style doesn’t enhance the story, but rather intrudes in it. For instance, the digitized human faces on the patients. This doesn’t do anything but break my involvement in the story. It is neither aesthetically pleasing, nor does it carry serious symbolic significance. In fact, none of the style seems to carry interesting or affecting symbolism. Rather, its overly simplistic and even childish. For instance, in episode 2, the guy who can’t get rid of his hard-on, turns into a rhinoceros with his horn all decorated and stylized. Alright, the horn is way too obviously phallic, and then it quickly becomes clear that his problem is tied up with his pent up anger and inability to express his feelings, and the rhino is known for its temper, plus, every time he switches it is when he’s getting pissed off and the rhino looks like its about to charge. Whoopdedoo! Machi, you said you prefer this structure to a simplistic moral of the day, but that’s exactly what it is. “Trust other people.” “Express your emotions and make decisions for yourself.” Might as well be Leave it to Beaver. You said the motifs in the style served to highlight the over-arching themes of the series. What themes? Maybe I’m really missing something, but as far as I can tell, it’s exactly what you said, an attempt to show what a visit to a shrink is like. But, instead of engaging deeply with the nature of psychology, we get an episodic show where profound psychological problems causing serious somatic and/or behavioral disturbances are fixed with a vitamin shot and pat greeting card advice. Yeah, cool, the doctor changes forms because therapists often change from consoling to hostile, etc. Everything is tripped out because visiting the shrink is a bizarre experience, the non-speaking characters are 2-D because that’s how they are represented to the doctor by the patient. But pry up the surface and there is nothing deeper. No symbolic representations of Jungian Archetypes or the Freudian death-drive. No probing investigation of the nature of mental illness and its treatment. No exploration of philosophic questions like the mind-body problem. But hey, it does have Boner-man and Mickey Mouse. Shows like Darker than Black are more emotionally and intellectually satisfying. This is entertainment, made to look artsy with some stylistic choices that actually intrude upon the story rather than enhance it. For a literary anime with style done well, that examines the human psyche meaningfully, I’ll be watching Aoi Bungaku this season. That’s the real “Noitamina” show, it just doesn’t happen to be in the “Noitamina” time-slot.

10. Machi says:

I’m watching both Aoi and this, I don’t see why you’re hostile about having to pick one over the other. And yes I never said this show was deep but rather entertaining, and indeed it is at only a 101 level in psychology (of course its still early so this is still up in the air). As for the aesthetics I would say that is purely more of taste than anything, you may be repulsed by the digitized faces but as you write or if I do reply its much more akin to personal taste.

As for the moral of the day thing it seems you misunderstood, as I’ve said the show easily may fall into that pitfall and indeed it does so far given that the cases are all quite similar due to the idea of supression. However, this is where the highly stylized approach helps as while the moral may be simple the presentation of animation certainly catches attention to divert it from that. In a nutshell the eye candy or totally weird imagery is what you remember on more than the “moral of the day”, as one writes the first thing that does come to mind is the weird imagery from the Rhino to Rooster. The moral of the day comes secondary, and even then I recall the theme more not because of the story written but of the images related to it.

With regards to the images missing the norm of what we would associate with psychology, I would argue that the Freudian and Jungian are there but obviously as you note at a 101 level. While I don’t really want to go jumping all over this, especially given how young the show is, is it necessarily a fault to be at the 101 level? Considering that the show is trying to be entertaining would it necessarily jive well with the humor to go into more advanced or serious psychology jargon or imagery? Especially given the more complicated nature of such images that would put the show in danger of being very contrived. At this point at least the images used I think are apt they are simple but in line with the narrative presented. They may not enhance but they decorate it well enough.

What this all points back to is the fact that the show is indeed not deep, well given the few episodes so far (so its hard to judge that decisively at this point). And this may lead to your frustration as you’re looking for something the show isn’t, and I think the episodes and the animation style (crass humor as well) do all point to telling you not to take it TOO seriously. Which is why this would be a worlds difference from Aoi Buganku, even then its an unfair comparison given that they’re practically apples and oranges so I don’t see why that show needs to be mentioned here. I mentioned Kaiba because the animation style was indeed off putting to many but overall still rewarding when taken into context, much like this show the images are weird and spontaneous but still linked by the thread of the issue. So in the end WHY look for DEEP philosophy in this show is totally up in the air, and Darker than Black isn’t any more philosophical either, and I would argue at the intellectual level I see the show more as pulp action (and just to clariffy pulp and action aren’t bad.)

11. PL says:

I don’t have a problem with this show, per se. No, I don’t enjoy it. But really, my problem is with anime fans who want to pretend that this show is somehow more artistic than or has more depth than your average moe or shounen. As you said, and what my point basically was, this show is just simple entertainment. And I do think its sad that this show is in the noitamina slot, which has traditionally been reserved for more sophisticated and intellectually fulfilling shows. I like good old fashioned entertainment. What irks me is people that want to bash a show like Sacred Blacksmith, and then sing high praises for this one, when it really is just apples and oranges, as you said. Anyway, I don’t think we’re in any kind of serious disagreement, (though I do think there is more going on philosophically in DtB than you are giving it credit for, but that’s for another day ;) ). Jyaa Mata

@K-off: Where you particularly far into that manga? Also what was its title? Also I've noticed that rape/quasi-rape =woman becoming attracted has been around in Japanese film even in the 60s.
Well fuck, getting NTR'd out of nowhere in a romance manga sure does feel like an insult, much less a tremendous waste of time. I really should look into whether or not a manga has ntr before I start reading it.
Ah, dominion tank police and AD police, reminding me of my genuinely love of the anime medium.
@Mario, So that was you. I was thinking maybe it was bot of some sort. Accepted the request so you can try sending me something again.
@Aidan: Btw, did you receive my Skype message? I was kicked out from the old Skype account so I had to make a new one and I sent you some texts but not sure if you've recieved it
Well, we're half way of the season already so I might stick with Youkoso. But it's telling that even after watching its episode I don't bother to write up about it... I will give Gamers a full review thou when it ends.
@Aidan: which is great (that they have forgotten about the gaming aspect. Normally, I disapprove of miscommunication in romance/drama but they play it for laugh x 5 times it's rather outrageous, in a good way.
You could drop Youkoso for Gamers you know. I could tell you are not very much into it and I admitly feel like I overestimated it. It at least tries to be above usual light novel fare but is still kinda meh.
@Mario, for some odd reason I kept watching Gamers and it really has forgotten about the whole gaming aspect. It's literally all about the messed up love pentagram now. These people have worse communication disorders than Komi does.
hmmm, anime convention will happen around my place tomorrow. When I say "around my place" it's 3 hours away so I'm not sure if I will come down there. Don't feel really excited to go to be honest.
OMG, Gamers escalates to the whole new labyrinth of misunderstandings... and I'm digging it. I should've blogged this one instead. Amen
@Lenlo, Nioh is something I am going to get to playing soon. Though first I will be getting through Horizon.
Nioh was phenomenal. Was different from Dark Souls in all the right ways.
Your right, there have been so many great games: Zelda, Nier, Horizon, Nioh, as well as the upcoming Mario are all instant classics, and besides that there have been a bunch of other solid fun games like Sonic, Splatoon, Pyre etc.
@Mario: Really just sit down and watch it kind of film.
@Mario: I just got back from Ancien and magic tablet/napping princess/hirune hime/whatever its title. In brief, the fantasy scenes are the highlight and its cute, charming family adventure anime film with alot of heart/endearment, runs on kind of too long and could have had more of a story though.
It says something in a year of great videogames when I can really recommend a Sonic game. Sonic Mania is a good platformer, with great control, charming visuals, great music and level design that feels more readable than the last games I've played in this series.
@Mario, Pres and delinquent girl is my favourite but I still hope the Kuudere couple shows up. This week was hilarious with the little sister trying to get back at her brother's girlfriend only for the girlfriend to know it was her immediately and start screwing around.
Mine is Takurou - Chizuru (the red hair boy and orange hair girl in this week's last segment. Maybe because I have a penchant for weird girl :/
Tsurezure Children... makes my heart melted again. Those who still watch it, who are your favorite couples?
@Kaiser: and I will give you a review on... new spiderman movie or whatever. My friend drags me to watch it with her tonight, and I haven't watched any spiderman installment since the one in 2007. Well, whatever...
@Mario: I will review Hirune-hime tomorrow night hopefully. Also I have seen all his ghost in the shell work, Moribito and Eden of the east but never Cyborg 009 .
This was a long time ago however.
I can remember my dads car got its window smashed then stolen, twice =<
@Kaiser Insurance by itself won't hold you back at all, but getting a new car certainly will. The down payment alone will set you back a couple grand and you likely won't pay off the car for about 2-4 years.
@Aidan Jeez, my condolences. @Kaiser Auto insurance covers most accidents and the rates won't go up so long as it's not your fault and you have evidence to prove it (like a dashcam).
Financially will it particularly hold you back on things like rent, etcetera?
But in all seriousness, that is one of the big reasons I haven't learned to drive, fear of that kind of thing happening, actually I think that might put me off driving if it happened to me.
The car incident is an obvious assassination attempt and conspiracy . Easily avoidable by investing in transport by Dragon .
@K-Off, Lightly hit the side of a Van coming out of T junction. Left light smashed,front bumper and bonnet damaged. Gotta pay for that and the vans side door.
@Aidan Ouch. What happened to it?
Yep. Crimson red. Maybe I was tempting fate.
@Aidan: you should blame your car because it's new and shiny it's more accident prone than others. Did you mention your car is red??
Man isn't it great having a new car. It's also great when you crash your new car and now have to pay hefty repair fees. Fantastic. No injuries or anything but it's going to be a pain to repair.
Princess Principal write-up will have to wait this time tomorrow guys. Sorry for those who wait but nothing can stand a chance against my madness for Monogatari now
I still have a bunch of old anime vhs tapes in my attic yes, would take forever to list though.
movies4life
What to say about "one punch man" ?
movies4life
You have still VHS tapes as well in your anime collection ? (me 40)
Hard to believe I've been at this anime/manga thing since I was 11 and am now in my 30s.
@Boukensha: for this site specifically most of us are like you. On and off with anime; burnt out, move on with life and back again... this why I believe the readers who read this site are slightly older than your average anime audience there.
OldManBoukensha
I think I'll call myself OldManBoukensha. Hope the name sticks (this is the anonyperson)
OldManBoukensha
Thanks for the recommendations @SuperMario and @Kaiser-Eoghan san! Sometimes feels surreal how time has flown, started watching anime and discovered psgels in uni... fast forward 12 years and I hit 30 this year. lots of great memories, eagerly waiting for blog posts for favourite animes like mushishi, seirei no moribito, FMA. ah good times. Thank you for taking the baton and keeping it lively :)
... and it's never too late to set up your permanent username now :)
@Anon1329673: if you had to pick up 1 show this season, then yes Made in Abyss. I'd also recommend Princess Principal as well. For slice of life office, Shirobako? There's a show running this season from the creators of Shirobako, not neccessary set in an office place but they are about adult working as well; the name is Sakura Quest
@Anon: Hataraki man perhaps?
whenever I visit here I wish I had picked a permanent username. been reading psgels since 2005 :)
and do you know of any slice of life office life anime to recommend? I loved fune wo amu from last season. melancholic yet intimate, bittersweet anime
Hey guys, what's the best show running this season? Seems to me Made in Abyss ? If I had to pick up one show, which one would you recommend?
@Mario That's the most common method of getting compromised nowadays, even a lot of youtubers got their channels hacked because of vulnerabilities with the phone carriers.
So naturally, Reflection and Ranbu will be delayed tomorrow because of a move. Last for abit. I promise. Hectic time :P
alright, 18if down. Now's the time that I've been looking for this season. Go watch Owari nowwww
Yep, the author laid out how he wanted it to end before he died. Can't say how the new guy did as the English translation of the novels has not caught up that far.
@Aidan: These were presumably written from notes left behind by the author? Is there a disconnect in quality between the non-original author novels and the ones he wrote?
Also the Familiar of Zero novels are better than the anime. Now, not shakespeare but the anime did not really adapt them well. The novels took the plot a little more seriously while the anime went full slapstick with it.
@Kaiser, I was talking about the novels, not the anime. Someone jumped in to write the last two novels.
Of course things have changed, its been so many years since I saw the initial seasons, I couldn't tell if I'd still care.
Didn't really work in familiar of zeros case though , third and fourth seasons were a decline.
A famous example was Itazura na kiss, author died from having stuff collapse on her , anime finished the story.
@Anon, Likely not now that the author is dead. There are some occasions where people jump in to complete the work like Familer of Zero but in most cases it is just left unfinished.
@Movies, Watched about ten episodes and then just never got back to it. I thought it was alright.
@Amagi, Indeed. Hopefully they won't be around that much.
Apocrypha is pretty good when the MCs aren't around
@Movies: Yes, stopped after he got the powerup and then the manga went on a long hiatus, I liked the art though, the anime was tedious though, filler-y and censored.
movies4life
You guys remember d.Gray-man ?
...I think one of the two working on highschool of the deads manga died/
@anon1327403: funny that you mentioned Highschool of the Dead because I'm planning to watch that one real soon. But to answer your question, as far as I am aware of, no, there isn't any announcement regarding the new adaptation.
Does anyone know if High School of the Dead will ever be picked up by another person
I'm still watching stuff though, just finished the Cobra ovas last night, fun camp in the flash gordon/Barbarella vein, though it misses the soundtrack from the old 80s version.
I love a good Bond type spy thingnow and then but I'd LOVE to see a more serious anime take on the genre.
If kakegurui is enjoyable in the same way a trash-exploitation film is I could see myself watching .
Count me in for those who weren't happy with the progress of abyss' manga.
Then again my gaming days are long long in the past for the most part. The humour in gamers would just turn me off now, I've lost interested in most anime comedy.
I was aware of ANN being down, for the most part I really only skimmed their articles. I wish sega would just put Sonic down, its been on decline for so long.
@KTravlos: have fun with whatever you doing in the next 10 days mates. And if you have time, sample Princess Principal as well
I will be off the net the next 10 days, so sorry if I do not answer any replies etc. Have a good time all! See you later.
took the hiatus of my shows as a chance to sample the current season. Saw first episodes of Kakeguiri, Abyss, and Altair. Kakeguiri and Abyss really did have great first episodes, that grab you. Altair was a bit too old-fashioned, but I will probably continue watching it. Kakeguiri had excellent OP and ED, while Abyss had in general great music. And yeah, you guys were not kidding about beauty
And I still enjoy Gamers thoroughly. Not sure if it can keep up with the misunderstanding mess about relationships from the main cast but so far the show is hilarious
so now I know about why ANN did not work. @Holystockings yes, again I should detest it for many things it has, but they pulled it off and I like it.
Holystockings
I'll be honest here. I would have never guessed that Kakegurui would have been this good.
@AidanAK47 This year there have been a lot of good games. Too many to play seriously. I do wonder how deliberations would be since more than scores or genres I don't feel a all out winner, more than different games excelling at different things.
So finally finished Kado, and I have to say I am not a fan of the shark jump.
Really? Had no idea about the news network site
Also too many games coming this month. SubaHibi, Sonic Mania and Ys Seven. Not to mention cold steel now out. I still need to get blood orange complete and in comes a small, medium and two extra large time sinks.
And in other news Voltorn season three is out but only seven episodes long. With another fourth season coming in October which is 6 episodes long. I wonder why Netflix are spilting up seasons like this?
So, not sure if anyone has heard this or not but the Anime News Network site has been hacked. Hence why you can no longer access it.
@Mario: blancanieves was modern silent take on snow white, a different spin on the story.
@Mario: Fun fact, Mitchum appears in a cameo in the cape fear remake.
ha, I wouldn't mind seeing a gag in a comedy manga series where they did a silent throwback episode.
The expressionist visuals of some of those silent films appeal to me.
My only issue with maddin is that he is hard to marathon, that style as unique and funny as it is only works in small doses.
La Antenna was another good example of modern silent filmaking. Annnnd, this one is SUPER obscure/rare: http://hawkmenblues.blogspot.ie/2013/11/yumemiru-yoni-nemuritai-kaizo-hayashi.html
It's like this: The Artist gets the "look" of silent film, but Guy Maddin's works get the "feel" of it
I can remember Mitchum was in an underated remake of the big sleep...
...though you could really tell even just from listening to him speak he was a pothead.
@Kaiser: I agree with you that Guy Maddin's works are more of a representative of neo-silent than the Artist (the Artist is just so... wide-appealing for my taste. It tries to please everyone). I always feel that Maddin is born in a wrong era. Had he born in the silent era he'd definately be a legend.
@Kaiser: I don't blame the audience from the 50s who didn't get the film. I didn't quite get it the first time either but the film just keep growing on me. I remembet Robert Mitchum in his noir detective role as well, most notably his role in Out of the Past. The lead girl in that movie has a very typical femme fatale look as well, which mean she's gorgeous
@Mario: I've been looking into Guy Maddin's work, its occasionally funny in an absurdist way and alot of the appeal comes from how strange his films are, while I think that film the artist was a good take on silent films, Maddins tributes to silent film are far more successful.
@Mario: People weren't ready for night of the hunter in the 50s, one of those baffling situations that it flopped when originally released, frustratingly that director never got to work again. For me I think that was one of Robert Mitchum's best roles, along with his one in Cape fear.
Ahhh, clumsy finger. Whatever...
*Diary kf the Country Priest of course
Should get into Diry of the Countey Priest soon, but consider it's Bresson's movie I have no doubt it'll be hard to swallow. Also the priest in The Night of the Hunter
@Mario: =) All priest films quiver before the might of Diary of the country priest, Nazerin and Winter light.
@Kaiser: in the same vein with Spotlight, right? 2016 wasn't a good year for priest in movies it seems
Oh, that guy also directed El Club, I liked that one, seriously grim story about exiled priests.
@movies4life: Gin no Guardian is a bif meh for me.
I watched No at the time of its release. Good watch although I don't remember much of it now. Not only they have the same actors as Neruda, those films are directed from the same director. This fude also directed Jackie last year that star Nayalie Portman as the First Lady
@Movies: The other Chinese anime attempts aren't any better I hear.
movies4life
Watch in a day the whole season of Gin no Guardian. Is have so much potential in story and animation but somehow something missing. maybe is just for growing up Kids
@Anon, Like SAO season 2 then. Myself and a friend tried to watch that for the sole reason of taking the piss out of it. Ended up not finishing it because there wasn't anything to take the piss out of because barely anything happened each episode and it was so boring that we couldn't take it anymore.
I have seen "The Secret in their Eyes". A good film. I do recommend "Neruda", and the film "No" which as some of the same actors.
People thought they were 'ironically' watching a bad movie until they realized the movie's so bad it can't even be enjoyed on an ironic level.
I am not surprised that the Emoji movie is bad. But I am quite astonished that people seem to be surprised that it's bad.
Gah, I would hate that, having to put up with a kid in cinemas, having to see , having to financially benefit some anti-art film like that.
movies4life
and i watch Emoji with my daughter....I fall asleep
Secret in the eyes remake was pretty much pointless.
Anon-The virgin witch
I am entirely too old to place any care or importance on whether I sleep with someone or not/ever.
I am entirely too far behind to catch up on monogatari.
I enjoy the surrealism that is present in some Latin filmaking. As for secret in their eyes, its got that great stadium scene and twist later on, though some of the exchanges between actors/characters seemed awkward, overall while I liked it, it felt like an extended tv episode.
I'm also looking forwards to listen to their new OPs. Mnogatari's soundtrack is the only anime soundtrack that I bought a physical CD. Still listen to all those songs quite frequently
Since it is confirmed that there'll be 7 episodes, I think it'll be: Mayoi Hell (2 episodes), Hitagi Rendezvous (2), Ougi Dark (3)
So Owarimonogatari will air in 2 days. I honestly don''t know how I should review it (by episode? by each arc? by day? Rating or not?) but dang I'm gonna review it.
You can try another Latin American film, The Secret in Their Eyes (not the REMAKE one). There was a 10 minutes unbroken (CGI) shot that follow the leads in the football stadium to look for their suspect. Quite impressive
@KTravlos: I missed my chance to watch Neruda when it was screening in my local cinema; but I've heard good things about the film. People said it's an unconventional but effective biopic film. The more I watch Latin American cinema, the more I feel the unique charm from the area that I don't feel anywhere else.
Still, weird manga because its kind of increasingly obvious that the people behind Nana are the bad guys .-. They are just overly sinister.
So skipped third chapter and just read fourth chapter of Talentless Nana. Ok, seems like it might have more of hook now? Villain protagonist vs hero antagonist?(who also can't be killed off first because they are immortal, so she would need to figure out how to deal with him first)
@Anon. Nobody cares mate.

@SuperMario. Hey I watched Neruda last week. It was interesting. Have you seen it?
@Anon, Well we can all make up imaginary sexploits, it's not really something worth bragging about. Perhaps fanfiction would be a better outlet?
I enjoy posting on obscure anime blog chat boxes about my sexploits. ᕕ( ⏒ ロ ⏒ )ᕗ
movies4life
Just watch Ajin both seasons and not sure ...good or just ok
Just watch Ajin both seasons and not sure ...good or just ok
I'm also as of now noticing this Isekai trend. And to be honest the most disappointing aspect for me, is how formulaic the worlds are. This is also a complain in RPGs. But I don't get how like 7 or more of this, feels like the setting could be the same world. I don't know, I just think there should be ways to make each feel more unique.
I went to Chicago and bought a Switch and lots of manga. I was happy with my choices. Murcielago is a violent buddy cop. Delicious Dungeon is a creative take on a dungeon crawler setting and funny. The 7th garden is a well composed manga, if anything a good example for sequential art reference. I also read several chapters of Mushoku Tensei, which is Isekai but heck it did made me care.
It's like the difference between reading Konosuba and watching Konosuba. I read the novels up to date and while it's fine it's like reading the script to a comedy skit. It's not nearly as entertaining as seeing it in action. The animation and actors just added so much more to it.
@Puran, I actually agree with you on that. I read the manga before watching the anime and couldn't really get into it. However I felt that things would change when seeing it animated and indeed it did. Currently I would place the anime adaption above it's source material.
3000 Leagues in Search of Mother
Puran
@Anon, thank you for the update on your sex life.

In other news, I read the manga for Made in Abyss and I didn't really like it...? Felt kinda boring and soulless? While the anime seemed to have some sort of magic and wonder. It kinda spoiled my enjoyment of the Anime. I think I'll drop it for a while and marathon it later to let the bad taste from my mouth subside.
@Anon, That's virgin talk.
Anonymous1320940
my girlfriend is coming back home and I am so looking forward to getting my cock sucked again. Sex starved since Wednesday
@K-off: Genuinely missed Tsugumi when her character got the axe.
Getting the made in abyss post up tonight but it looks like the other two are going to have to wait. Kakegurui's sixth episode will be airing this week and Fate's episode won't be subbed until friday. I will see if I can get secondhand subs to do a writeup but I would prefer to watch it with UTW subs.
The spin-offs are actually a good read because it's essentially similar to the opening few chapters of the main story.
Ah seoul station, that director (or at least the animator) has done some other animated films that I've yet to get round to.
@K-off: Maybe a sequel or more spinoffs planned? I've not read any of the spinoff come to think of it.
The film was interesting, but I remember I watched it after Train to Busan and its animated prequel so I found it lacking in comparison.
I'll just say that the manga does not end climatically nor in any interesting way. It ends up focusing on a new set of characters near the end (what kind of writer thinks that's a good idea?) and rushes the MC's story.
The film adaptation of I am a hero is better than it has any right to be.
*sci-fi
@K-off: Everything after the sci-twist started going downhill. I haven't read the final chapter yet.
@Kaiser Did you catch up on I am a Hero? Just finished it and...I feel like the series seriously fizzled out halfway through. I'd like to talk about the ending if you have.

18if – 07 [And now There are none…]

This episode is one of the reason why I am glad that I’m still putting my faith on 18if, an episode that displays a complete different range of visual style, and a satisfying children’s story about friendship as a cherry on top. There’s a lot to love here, from the beautiful aesthetic that heavily influenced […]

Shoukoku no Altair – 05 [The City of the Lighthouse]

After a three-week break, Shoukoku no Altair returned today with an episode reminiscent more of its first three than its last. If you’ve been reading these posts for the last couple months, you’ll know that’s not a good thing, at least from where I’m sitting. We were awash in exposition and timeskips again this time […]

Classroom of the Elite – 06 [There are Two Kinds of Lies; One concerns an Accomplished Fact, the Other concerns a Future Duty]

Youkoso embraces its true nature this week, pulling off some resolves that are pulpy, but clean up nicely the conflicts they present this episode. With episode 6, not only class-D settles the accusation from class-C; they set up, and quickly resolve, Sakura’s stalking issues and gives a much-needed concern regarding Ayanokouji’s own agenda behind his […]

Re:Creators – 17 [The Rain’s Rhythm Shoots Down on the World’s Roof]

If you are still remaining faithful to Re:Creators over the course of months on end, then this is the episode where all the buildups and exposition pays off in dividends with the grand opening of the ‘Elimination Chamber Festival’. Characters with long standing grudges square off, insert songs being played back-to-back, and Studio TROYCA really […]

Made in Abyss – 06[Seeker Camp]

I feel like Riko has been naked quite a lot in this series and I thank god that it’s not treated in a fanservice manner. That may be something that should be par for the course but with my experience in anime it often takes every opportunity to throw in some fanservice. At this point […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 07[Where Freedom Lies]

As a Fate fan I can state for certainty that this series does have a problem of having a bit too much anticlimax. Which is a problem that may affect all Chuuni style stories come to think of it. I love the series but I can say that I don’t think any of them truly […]

Kakegurui- 06[Tempting Woman]

Here’s where these betting games get really out of control as we have an elaborate setup which likely cost quite a lot of money to make and only serves to make this bet possible. Before I made the choice of ignoring the general nonsensical rules of the school however now I think that I should […]

The Reflection – 4 [New Orleans]

The Reflection shows its strengths this week with strong character arcs, a deepening overall plot and some subtleties with its setting. Only thing left to fix is the frame count, but i’ve beat that horse to death, so let’s just jump right in. Reflection opens up the episode right after the end of last weeks. […]

Princess Principal – 06 [Case 18 Rouge Morgue]

We have a very tender Princess Principal episode this week. Instead of exciting spy action like previous weeks, we get to the place that is largely ignored by the rest of the world: a morgue. A place where they’re near the dead than the living, where time just passes by slowly but endlessly. A place […]

Castlevania Season 1 Review – 70/100

Upon hearing that Castlevania would be getting an animated TV series my first reaction was that of unpleasant surprise. Part of the reason was because of the video games infamous history with adapting their stories to other mediums but my main reason was that being familiar with the Castlevania games, I knew the story was […]

Tsuki ga Kirei (Spring 2017) Review – 88/100

It’s hard for me not to go overboard on Tsuki ga Kirei: out of all the show I’ve followed this season, I resonated the most to this one; but even when I’m judging this show objectively, Tsuki ga Kirei is one of the most perfect one, in a way that it achieved exactly what it […]

Seikaisuru Kado Review 51/100

Seikaisuru Kado was a title which caught my attention for a number of reasons. For one it’s visuals showed not a single teenager in sight and a cast mainly consisting of working adults. Another is that it deals with a premise not often tackled in anime, Philosophical Science Fiction. The story features an alien being […]

ID-0 (Spring 2017) Review – 81/100

Here comes one of the most under-appreciated anime of this Spring season. ID-0 has many hassles that keeps viewers away from watching it: Netflix exclusive, full CG animation and a plot that just plain weird and a bit incomprehensive at first view. I originally took it as nothing more than fun spooky little-seen show until […]

Grimoire of Zero (Spring 2017) Review – 77/100

I remember, back in our first impression of this series, Aidan remarked that Grimoire of Zero isn’t your typical LN-adaptations, but he didn’t know what to make of it. To be honest, after watching an entire cour, I’m still unsure what to make of it myself. This show has some serious flaws, yet despite all […]

Uchoten Kazoku Review – 94/100

(Note: Since psgels didn’t give his final review to the first season, this review is for the entirety of Eccentric Family. If I had to grade the second season alone, it’s 90/100). Doesn’t matter how you look at it, the Eccentric Family is a unique show, in a way it feels and tastes like no […]

Little Witch Academia TV Review – 80/100

The Little Witch Academia series has been something that’s a long time coming. Ever since Studio Trigger made the original Anime OVA back in 2013 I have been hotly anticipating the time when it would be fleshed out into it’s own anime series. I love both the original OVA and the enchanted Parade so this […]

Window Horses (2016) Movie Review – 87/100