Posted by psgels on 18 December 2009 with categories: Darker than Black - Ryuusei no Gemini

An excellent build-up for that final episode. My big worry right now is the pacing, because there is A LOT that still needs to be revealed. On top of that, the story needs to reach its conclusion, the themes have to be wrapped up, as well as the ton of side-plots that were going on. Oh, I really hope that the creators are going to be able to pull this off. I won’t mind a few questions left open, but I will mind it if the creators end up rushing though the ending.

And yeah, I was wrong: Suou is the only copy alive at this point: the original doctor survived and instead had a clone of his killed. In the meantime, the real doctor dies in this episode. From a shot in his leg. Seriously, I think that this is the first time in anime in which a character dies from such a minor injury, although it does make sense: he was treated poorly and ended up bleeding to death. Though it gets a bit hard to believe amongst anime where characters survive multiple gunshots without being treated for days in some cases. :P

I also finally remembered to keep watching after the ED, and those were some major scenes this time: Mao is the blond woman’s former lover? Heh.
Rating: ** (Excellent)

1. m says:

When you write Shion do you mean Suou?

2. Dani says:

I’m looking forward to the end as well. And you can totally die from a gunshot to the leg. There are major arteries in there. It’s just most anime would have you believe otherwise.

3. Pissed off says:

I am going to hold all my frustration and anger for the last episode. I am currently so pissed off at this series that it is almost impossible to put everything to words. What a giant pile of motherfucking shit this second season has turned into; most of it is due to the shift in focus from the main character, Hei, to that stupid slut.

4. egress63 says:

why is the poster above me this pissed off? There are already rumors for a *THIRD* season of this coming out in 2011.

5. Drask says:

Why are you so angry? Its not like they explained anything in the first season. Why should they do it now. Yes its frustrating but this season is basically Suous story and I hope that at least her story gets a conclusion. As for the rest I expect very little.

6. psgels psgels says:

egress: really? Where exactly did you read this?

7. inter4ever says:

You wouldn’t have said it is a minor injury if you watched the Legend of the Galactic Heroes ;)

8. egress63 says:

Well, it is not official or anything like that. But the rumors that I’ve read at 2-3 places are supposing that the 4 extra episodes focusing on Hei will be used to “judge” if the third season for DtB is viable or not.

Besides, as you (and many others) have said, nothing is getting resolved by this season of DtB, so the chances of a 3rd season (given strong sales) remains high.

9. andrea says:

lol inter4ever your comment made my day :D
    By the way in the last 2-3 episodes the plot completely fell apart, it doesn’t make any sense. The first series was all about the main character kicking ass with some fight action, it was never a “smart” series to begin with; then for this season they deciced to focus more on the plot adding a new female protagonist and developing her character. The fact is that the plot isn’t really that good, and Shion is there just to attract moe fans. It’s a shame because at first I thought Shion was an interesting character. Then they make her look like a loli and fall in love with the protagonist (and even in the series is pointed out that she is just a kid).

10. jho says:

I still enjoy this series a lot. There’s no question that the themes of the 2nd season are very different from the 1st, and I definitely wish that there was more attention paid to hei and yin. I mean they built Suou into a pretty good character, but it means nothing unless she’s part of the 3rd season … if there is one.

11. ssj4jw says:

I think the 4 OVA episodes that will come with the DVD will fill in some gaps about why Yin is captured and why Hei was in a drinking state. Besides from the Title Ryuusei no Gemini you already knew who the main focus will be on.

12. FortMan says:

“There’s just one thing… how did the golem guy survive? His fight against Suou doesn’t really make any sense: he was shot in the eye before and he was just fine, and then he gets shot in his forehead, where the impact is apparently strong enough to cause a flesh-wound and knock him unconscious, but nothing more…”

The shot that exposed his eye hit his shoulder though. And none of the shots actually got to him, only the concrete. The forces from the shots still affected him though, so the shot directly to the forehead knocked him out.

13. Pi says:

I have just watched the OVA PV before tackling this episode and there’s something that’s been bothering me: Yin… is pregnant?

Mao and that Golem contractor have repeatedly saying that Yin was Hei’s former lover. From what I remember in the first season, Yin’s love for Hei was unrequited. But after watching the OVA’s PV (which takes place between the first and second season), what Mao and ‘Golem’ said seems to be true.

So, let’s assume that Hei and Yin were lovers. Then, let’s also assume that Izanami is Yin. And then, let’s consider what ‘the leader of Section 3’ says: “The sign shall be a rising cressent moon that never sinks. When it becomes full, Izanami will reach her final month of pregnancy.”

After watching the PV, there’s a scene that seems to suggest that they were quite intimate. I could be wrong but if we take the quote in the literal way, does that mean Yin is pregnant of Hei’s child?

The fact that Mao mentions that Hei has changed Yin’s life sort of puts more silly ideas into my mind, so I’m getting a little confused here. Am I thinking a little too far?

14. Raika says:

The plot thickens! It had been surmised that Shion was always a contractor even before he was born, and it looks like that guess was right. It’s also been surmised that Shion even created Suou in the womb as well, but the Dr. only stated that Suou wasn’t present when the meteor fell so that part of it is unconfirmed. The Dr. did mention that Shion’s copies always had one difference from the original, in Suou’s case it’s that she’s a girl and Shion’s a boy, so there might be some credence to that womb theory.

Anyway, I wondered too if Golem boy was dead from being shot in the head but it looks like he was just knocked out for the count (he certainly made a quick recovery). The Madame’s getup made me laugh for a bit since she looked like some sort of sentai action heroine along with that anti-contractor ray gun. The fact that she and Mao are ex-lovers is even more funny. The part where Suou disappeared during July’s reunion with Misaki was a bit odd but I’m guessing that was an illusion on the loli-twins’ part.

The bit with Yin and “her last month of pregnancy” – I’m not sure if it’s literal or something figurative. I did watch the DtB OVA as well before watching this and I was really surprised at how intimate Hei and Yin were suggested to be in some of their brief scenes together. Hei x Yin appears official at this point. (Though Suou’s feelings of Hei… probably just Stockholme’s Syndrome.)

The big question now is whether or not Yin really is with Hei’s child (they never did show Yin’s belly while she was still in the box…), and what that might mean if Shion enters the picture (would he try to create a copy of the child; would that somehow bring about said disaster and the unknown being everyone’s talking about?)? Yin is certainly not acting like herself, and I’ve been wondering now is it because that might be due to the child she’s possibly carrying (hormones bringing back her emotions, or even possibly the unborn child controlling her actions)?

Certainly more questions than answers.

Hei vs. Hazuki. Should be a kickass fight!

And yes, you can easily die by bleeding out if the femoral artery in either leg is severed. Something to consider if anyone wants to go shooting people in the leg just to stop them from running, heh. Movies often don’t work out like real life.

15. fumachu says:

**** SPOILER ALERT ****
    **** LONG MESSAGE ALERT ****
    The above message is there not because I know anything that will be coming up, but because some of what I am writing down (some speculative, some based on what has already transpired) may be perceived as such. With only the final chapter to go, it’s clear that the producers are not going to be using the time to connect all the dots or explicitly answers everything, particularly the smaller stuff. So here’s what I think we are already suppose to have understood of the story line (I am doing this for my own edification, as it help me out, and for those who could use some background commentary. For those who enjoy looking back only after the entire story is told, please stop reading!):

1) The Power Struggle background- Starting with Season 1, there have always been several political/military factions trying to control things, including the Syndicate, CIA, MI-5, etc. In Season 2, the Russians (through the Colonel) were also added to the game. As of right now, however, only Section 3 and the CIA are left. The former were the keeper/user of Yin/Inazami and the new owner to the doll system. The Russians, unknown to them, were the ones who had Inazagi (Shion), as they were the ones sponsoring the Doctor/Father’s work. His work was on the ME machine, something able to “create”/harness contractor power. Looking back, Shion was really the one who had that power. The CIA are the new kids in the block, who have been working covertly (they are the CIA, after all) trying obtain both Inazagi and Inazami for themselves. As such, they are the ones (through contracting Hei, the blonde, etc.) who initiate the action in Season 2 and go to Siberia to try to steal Shion.

2) The Myth thread; Shion/Inazagi – It’s now explained that the war at Heaven’s gate was a result of the myth of Inazagi/Inazami, and everyone going after this mythical power to change the world (as told by the Mitaka documents) or control/create/eliminate the contractors’ powers. Hei “lost” his sister in that war, which led to his quest in Season 1 to seek her out. At some point in that war, we “inherited” his Sister’s powers (or a small portion of it), and became the key for unlocking Hell’s gate, which he then refuses to do. In Season 2, by getting zapped by the Section 3 machine (harnessed through Yin’s power to destroy contractors). He is “saved” from death by Suou’s amulet, but in the process loses his power. What the amulet does is still a mystery, but one which will likely be answered in the final chapter. So Shion’s power is to create beings/contractors, which was further enhanced two years before Season 2 started, when a meteor crashed somehow increased his power and he became Inazagi (creator).

3) The Myth – Inazami: This part of the myth is significantly more muddled. How did Yin become Inazami, I would guess, will not be answered in this final chapter, but in the OVA, which tells the story of what happen to Hei/Yin during the “lost years” between Season 1 and 2. (By now people already know that Season 2 was not really about Hei/Yin, but about Suou’s arc). If I were to guess, Yin is carrying Hei’s baby (as many speculated), and that is how she became Inazami. I would go further and speculate that she “inherited” the power that originally belonged to Hei’s sister and was passed down to her through Hei (who inherited from her sister before she disappeared in the Heaven’s gate war). Hei’s sister was the most powerful contractor, whose power was to destroy contractors, which is Inazami’s power. That would be one way to make this all tie up. It also explains why Hei wanted (and perhaps still want) to “destroy” Yin, and started Season 2 as a drunk, cold killer, as he was the one who felt responsible for Yin’s transformation to what she is now.

3) The blonde (and her twins) – Perhaps the most underdeveloped, but key character in Season 2. Her role in the plot is that of a manipulator, the puppet mistress, if you will. My guess is that she was ex-Syndicate (alluded by the fact that she has a former romantic tryst with Mao/Ricardo/Momongo). In the Syndicate, she was probably much like Huang, a human manager of contractors for the syndicate (perhaps Mao’s former handler?). In Season 2, she is a “free-agent” who works at times for the CIA, but who has her own agenda. Her “power” is derived from the twins who, perhaps because they are two of them, have the ability to infiltrate into the “doll” network and obtain information on everyone and everything. She clearly has her own agenda, which is still a bit of a mystery. In this chapter, she cuts ties with the CIA (they call her cell phone before she gets rid of it), who are now trying to rid of her. She wants Shion and also Suou for herself, and used Hei, Kisaki, and Suou (through July) to force what is about to happen.

4) CIA – Not much to say here, other than they are one of the antagonists in this story, albeit they don’t show up that much other than to create havoc and kill (in Siberia and now in Tokyo). It’s likely that they were the ones who killed Hazuki’s lover, to obtain information on the whereabouts of Inazami. It’s also likely that they got wind of her kidnap through the blonde puppet mistress.

5) Section 3 – The other antagonists. A few things to fill in here. Golem (the contractor buddying up to Kisaki) is likely a double-agent working for the CIA. I am speculating this from the fact that he is trying to find out more than what is told to him and seems chummy with the CIA, when they descended upon the dead body of the doctor, as he was stopped from mutilating the doc’s dead body by the CIA operative. He is intent of getting Shion, not for Section 3, but for the CIA. Hazuki, the girl-loving sword wielding contractor working for Section 3, was manipulated to the airport by Hei (or the blonde) to meet with her grandfather. This provided an opening for Hei to kidnap her lover and obtain the whereabouts for Yin. Kisaki somehow finds out about this plot, when she herself tries to find out a way to get information on Yin’s whereabouts (not sure exactly how she got that information by looking in her computer.) As for the doll system under control by Section 3, it looks like it is how the Puppet Mistress infiltrates into Section 3. She is able to intercept info as well as it down at times, through the twins.

4) Kisaki – Like Season 1, Kisaki really is nothing more than a foil character. She represents the human who is lost and manipulated by everyone. She is the character that least changed from Season 1, and for a good reason. She represents us, the viewer. Through her, we get to go along in this crazy ride, amazed at all the plots, power struggles and twists and turns. She is there to provide us a reference point and, to a lesser extent, as the bumbling, after-the-fact, investigator. The only problem is that the writers have been having a hard time keeping her in the series, creating many hard-to-believe coincidences to have her tag along with the action. A bit of a weak point, but, nonetheless, an essential character to provide contrast and explanations to things.

5) Hei-Yin – Not much will be answered about them here of what happened to them after the Hell’s gate incident. If we are fortunate, we will know what their “end” will be, but their story leading to this season is likely going to be told elsewhere (OVA is my guess).

6) Suou – The true protagonist and the most interesting character. If you had expectations of Hei and Yin carrying the show, then you are probably pretty disappointed right now. If you, OTOH, got interested in Suou, then this series was probably much more compelling to you. You can tell which one you are just by measuring the level of interest you have on Suou’s fate in the upcoming final chapter. If it’s cursory, then you will likely judge this as a “blah” series (or even awful). If that is pretty critical to you, then this series likely was enjoyable. I am of the latter, as I found the character to be quite creative. You have a non-japanese/not foreign, not-contractor/not-human, not girl/not adult, not even real!, who is trying to figure out how she fits in this whole scheme. That, to me, is quite a departure from many other shows. I don’t have a clue what she will end up, but I am very eager to find out. That puts me squarely on the side that got “hooked”.

I don’t know if this is all right, but I hope that this helps those who needed some “connect the dots” info. It did help me to jot it down…

16. tzuge says:

btw… why is Shion considered to be Izanagi again? For some reason i think it’s going to turn out to be Suon who is important, because of her(?) origins. Did anyone else get the impression that Shion might have created Suon out of something that came out of the meteor strike?

17. Raika says:

I just had another idea. Maybe who we thought was Yin all this time manifesting herself through observation ghosts is Hei and Yin’s unborn child, and not Yin herself. Who knows? We’re almost at the end of the series and it seems like they’ll have to cram in a lot to answer all these questions.

As for Shion being Izanagi, according to the legend Izanagi is a bringer of life while Izanami is a bringer of death (he vowed to create 1500 lives for every 1000 Izanami would take). Given Shion’s ability to make copies, even of living human beings, it makes sense to connect him to Izanagi. But again, it could very well be Suou and not Shion fated to bring disaster if she ever meets Izanami/Yin.

18. UmbrellaMan says:

Question. The police said that the only way to keep Izanami and Izanagi from their fateful reunion was to kill Izanagi. Why didn’t they just kill Izanami, whom they had/have in their possession instead? You can’t have them meeting if one of them is dead. I smell a minor flaw in logic there…

Besides that, this episode was pretty good. It was definitely a build up for the finale. Here’s hoping it will be a decent conclusion. I liked the fact that Mao slept with the crazy blonde chick. lol.

19. Pi says:

Ha ha! Props to you fumachu; that was an awesome post (despite the odd numbering)! Loved it! Thank you for the information.

Now that I think about it, Golem was indeed pretty chummy with the CIA. I guess Golem being a double-agent would support the reason why he’s been trying to fish around for some information from Misaki.

I sense many plot holes to come in the last episode, so I’m pretty happy to see that there’s a possibility of a third season. I highly doubt an OVA and an episode would cover the essential/main plot holes but needless to say, I really want a third season.

With fumachu’s insightful post, I also see the reason why Suou is the new main focus of the series. If the myth of Izanami and Izanagi the main focus of the story/the gates/the outcome of the gates, we can assume that the producers tried to separate the myths into two sections:

1. focus on Izanami in the first season: Hei being the key element that changed Yin’s life. In order to see the changes in Yin, the audience had to get familiar with the person who changed her life–which is Hei, the main protagonist in the first season.

and

2.focus on Izanagi on the second: Suou being the key element that changed Shion’s life. While Shion had the ability to create life/harness contractor powers, Suou was the one that really changed his life. Without her appearance, Shion would have never been able to grant her powers and ‘create’ a copy of her.

And I guess this is also how Hei can relate to Suou so much and tried to help her. They were both seeking for someone really important (whom happened to be both Izanami and Izanagi) in their life but they were both originally not contractors and were granted with those powers. It could be Hei and Suou the ones who are going to create the disaster (even though it was told that Izanami’s and Izanagi’s reunion would be a disastrous thing)?

20. Pi says:

@Umbrellaman,

I think the myth can also explain your question. I’m going to quote this from Raika’s post: “the vowed to create 1500 lives for every 1000 Izanami would take.” From what I remember, humans have been trying to get rid of contractors. While many of them tried to use them as weapons, they were originally considered as unwelcomed aliens. So if they kill Izanagi, and leave Izanami off on a contractor killing spree, it would resolve the root of their problem and achieve their goal effortlessly.(No more contractors! Woo hoo! Not)

Of course, it could be a minor flaw like you’ve mentioned. I still don’t understand how Hei managed to save Suou and July (and Mao) when they were kidnapped by a Russian contraction…

and not to mention how Golem managed to survive that bullet(of course it was explained in earlier post how he managed to survive but it’s iffy), I mean… do you remember how Tanya was killed? Shion shot her from a pretty long distance and look at the impact! Half of her stomach was blown off. While Mr. Golem was covered in rock, I would assume the impact would be bigger since Suou shot him in a closer range.

21. PL says:

Before she shot him, she said, “It’s not like it’s going to kill you, right?” or something to that effect, so there was something about his powers or something we just don’t get.

22. Reltair says:

It feels like the last episode is going to either be really rushed or things will be felt unresolved.

23. Snowolf says:

I just saw the last episode, and though it wasn’t subbed or anything…um….yeah. it was WAY rushed. i mean, like a WTF episode. so be prepared.

Yeah KT, watching the two together has not come out favorably for AMB for me.
I believe it works better in hellsing and drifters moreso to both being goofball action shows.
A point on the chibi in AMB. I was thinking about shows were the chibi did not bother me, and Hellsing Ultimate and Drifters (newest episodes coming out), both had deformed/chibi segments. For some reason they did not bother me. I think ABM directors have bad timing with them.
I have to say Ichirou Inuyashiki is very cool. Like he is really a cool character. Also I am saddened to say it but watching AMB together with Inuyashuki does not work well for AMB
@Silver: There are sad moments certainly but plenty of humour.
Man, I sure hope Ichirou Inuyashiki and Hiro Shishigami make out, everything is just building up to that
silver
I actually have only watched one or two episodes of this season of 3-gatsu, but its rising scores and rave reviews are making me really excited! I've only put it off because it's somewhat emotionally tiring for me
@Kaiser: Well, after the first season of 3-gatsu ended, I did skim ahead to this bullying arc so I already know this is going to be powerful, yet the anime still wow me over and over
Also it can be tricky selecting a season sequel since some old series had like 50 to 100 episodes, what counted as a season then?
@Kaiser-Eoghan - It's more common in videogames (especially Capcom) than in other mediums. Megaman 2, RE 2, Street Fighter 2, Dino Crisis 2, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, etc.
Actually in a rarity, a sequel season is better than the first.
Which makes my enjoyment of sangatsu so strange.
And I generally do not like game/sports orientated shows.
That you slightlySuper-erMario and superwooper!
And my reaction to the show is such, that I enjoyed it enough to make such a huge pot about it.
Also I want Akari to be my mom and Hina is adorable without being annoyingly so and Kana Hanazawa is doing a good job voicing her.

And whoever said it is right, the op/ed songs are worth listening to, for once I’m not skipping them.
At this point it feels as if by the end of the series I’ll come off it thinking that I don’t want to say goodbye to these characters.
I don’t think as of just yet it complete lives up to honey and clovers legacy though.
I never cared about Harunobu initially, but recent episodes have changed this.
Dull parts of the manga are easier to get through for me in the anime due to Shaft elevating the material with one of the better uses of their visual gimmicks.
Giving the series another chance, even though I won’t fully embrace the humour, it does now and then manage to make me laugh a little.
The bullying arc centering on Hina and the shows treatment of it is better than most anime bullying stories and has provided the most emotionally rewarding aspect of the show.
Characters that are assholes like Kyouko’s boyfriend, Kyouko herself I’m finding somewhat more sympathetic and want to see more to their personal drama.
However I do genuinely think that the series does a good job of allowing dramatic moments to creep up on the viewer, that early scene of Hina crying over her mother, Rei’s family flashbacks, Akari’s concerns about Hina/the stuff with her dad, all the scenes with Kyouko do carry an effective and solid dramatic weight to them.
I feel it starts very strong, making a great first impression, then kind of has these dull moments that make it sort of a slog at times to get through, unfortunately I have no interest in chess/shougi and no knowledge the show tries to give me is going to stick or allow me to embrace that.
Through jumping back and forth between the anime and manga, I can say I have no caught up to where I will now watch March comes like a lion on a weekly basis.
The blood of the innocent will flow without end, mmmmmm this is why I love Inuyashiki
Mmmmmm the suffering of all those innocent people feeding his God boner, this is why I love Inuyashiki
Oh yeah, thats not a knock against it. Just noting they dont *need* much animation
Well, the nature of Mahoutsukai is slow-burned, so it makes sense they focus more on static, quiet moments
Was that blade 2022 thing supposed to be an example? Because I wasnt a fan. It was stylish sure, but difficult to follow.
Maho is a good looking show, I wouldnt call it a great animated show.
The issue for me is, theres just not alot being animated most of the time. Usually its a pretty slow moving anime, so most of its time is talking and still shots. It doesnt need alot of animation, so it doesnt have it.
@Niel, I think Mahoutsukai can have good animation when it wants to. Like the water viel in episode 10 looked good (Though im not sure how much of that was after effects)
uhhh creepy
the blood of the innocent will flow without end, mmmm this is why I love Inuyashiki so much
I think the security is the same as here, it's just that Japanese people are less likely to rip stuff (correct me if I am wrong). It seems like ripped anime, manga and so on are basically always uploaded by Americans, Chinese people or someone else.
I was surprised heavens feel was camripped I thought security in japanese theatres was stronger.
Yeah it's also screening in Germany, I will watch it in February, together with Heaven's Feel, Mutafukaz, Kimikoe and a few others.
*on Europa cinema
Nanoha new film to screen next February in the US, come in Europa license it for over here dammit....
Did have some down moments though.
And I guess contrasting Luke with his old self goes some way.
Saw the preview screening of the new star wars, still feel the new trilogy stands inbetween the originals and prequels, fufills its duty as a *** star blockbuster , some genuinely hilarious high camp moments, awful tokenism, Snoke is a shit villain, but two scenes with Luke actually have a pathos to them and I liked the chase/action scenes when they happened. Nobody cares about the acting/dialogue
But there are times when it goes way too far and you can barely make out what is even supposed to be happening. Or characters go so off model that they are unrecognizable. It can be immersion breaking. Much like uncanny CGI.
@Niel, I do agree that it's annoying to see people complain about animation when they clearly have no idea what they are talking about. Like those inbetween frame screenshot people. But I will say I appreciate on model characters more so than chaotic movement. When the off model stuff suits the tone of the scene like that blade runner part, then it's fine.
niel
I also don't want to see someone imply visual=animation for the hundredth time. Are people really that ignorant of the technical/artistic aspect of the media they consumed?
niel
It just depends on what works best in given scene and the aesthetic they want to go for. People can complain all they want about off-model stuff, but if they really only want that the they won't be getting nearly as much of those impactful scenes as there are now. So many of the ways people complain about it is really irking to me.
niel
normal/low action scenes is different from being on-model during the action sequences and just the ones that need some extra impact in general. https://youtu.be/rrZk9sSgRyQ?t=6m45s
niel
But that depends on the situation though. And I'd argue that being consistent and on-model during
@Vonter/Niello/Mario: Ideally I want it both ways, fluid animation AND consistent model visuals, all the while never sacrificing choreography.
But really, who am I to say. I'm the dude who prefer beautiful shot composition myself
The same can be said with Shinkai's movies since he always prefers static, beautiful shot that people tend to overlook that his animation is quite poorly handled
You're right, but art direction does alleviate limited animation, I mean the old Berserk anime, kinda has a lot of slideshow moments. MahoYome has nice backgrounds, and despite the samey faces, at the very least doesn't come from the same mold as other series. Still cutting corners with chibi segments is was a mistake.
SuperWooper
Is it any wonder that people prefer things to be static/on-model? They want to see characters who look consistent and familiar so they can relate to them.
Nie
MahoYome being the biggest offender of people getting triggered to any kind of statement about the show's animation not being good. And it's absurd because the show's animation really isn't great at all. It's good with distracting people with pretty pictures, but animation-wise it's still mediocre.
Nie
@SuperMario: Not much. Just stuff like "Art is part of the animation weather it's beautiful backgrounds or just amazing looking characters. It's not all about how they move. If it was, CG would be considered great animation" multiple times. I've just been finding myself being replied with these kinds of comment non-stop since the start of the season.
@Niello: What happened exactly, if you don't me asking?
Nielllo
If I hear someone says AMB has good animation one more tie I might actually lose it. It's amazing how people who apparently know nothing about it try to defend this and other people who don't know anything are actually supporting the guy.
Niello
So with Fate Apocrypha episode 22 out, I'm just now learning that people think webgen style is horrible and they prefer static scenes with pretty visual over actual quality animation. WTF. I can't comprehend this. Are casual people who watch animation in general really that oblivious to the art they have been watching?
Berserks Dynasty Warriors style game looked better. Also, Mahoutsukai should be up tonight/tomorrow. Turns out, Christmas is a busy time of year at this job.
*worse
Especially when you consider how good CGI can be by now, look at Houseki or Kado. But Berserk was the worst thing I saw in years, many scenes felt worst than sequences of PSX games
@SuperMario: Same. I love Kon and also consider Paprika's OST as the best. @Lenlo: Me too. I honestly even enjoyed the movies but the new series was atrocious
HIRASAWAAAA! HAAAAAI YOOOOO.
I miss the 90s Berserk.
I was also quite fond of his soundtracks for Berserk. AIIIIIYE FORCES : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkYYYew8CUI
@Amagi: I'm a big fan of Kon so I've watched everything from his. Even bought a book about his works. About the soundtrack, I listened to them as well but not regularly, compare to pprika OST which I downloaded and listen to a lot
Although not completely a manga, Usagi yojimbo also has an anthro character.
Millennium actress is partially inspired by the actress Setsuko Hara.
@Kaiser-Eoghan: The anthro-animal manga is even a topseller as far as I know. Haven't looked into it yet, though. Maybe I will do so.
Speaking of it, I am still hoping Dream Machine will happen some day. Kon died believing it would happen
@SuperMario: Have you tried the other Kon movies like Millennium Actress once? Thought they were really good and Hirasawa is responsible for the OST there too. Or Paranoia Agent which was (IMO) very good as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nttSKBJ38k (OP)
Niello
Eoghan: Enjoy... ;)
While I haven't read this, its very strange to see a manga about full anthro animal characters: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Beastars
@Vonter: So based on that I will try devil lady. Thanks.
@Vonter: That'd be me who made that post. I thought dororon enma-kun was wonderfully ridiculous and Devilman gorishly entertaining, Shin Mazinger Z was probably some of the most fun I had with an anime, but violence jack took it way too far though so I guess I'm aquainted with nagai's work
I don't remember who was looking for something noir in anime. I was looking among several series from Go Nagai. And watched some Devil Lady. I don't remember if noir is exclusively detective stories, but this anime, has those high contrast shadows, eerie music and is shot like some japanese horror movies I've seen. I don't know if it changes along the road but so far it's very suspenseful.
I only know him through his works in Berserk and Paprika but his music never fails to amaze me
@Amagi: Ghost Bridge is my favourite. I just find it very calming. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeh5aJsxlbw
Susumu Hirasawa is one of my favorite musicians/composers. I don't even know what kind of subgenre this is. There aren't any other music groups I know who do similar stuff
Nielllo
@Mario, Already saw that video before.
Check this out... I don't even know what the freaking instrument he's playing, but it's spellbound https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjalQjAomH0
Niello
Just when I thought Houseki no Kuni took the prize for best animation I was treated with Apocrypha. This week is amazing.
Niello
Big name animators all over. They really threw everything they've got here.
Niello
Woooooah! OMG Apocrypha ep 22 animation is sick! So that's why the animation in the first half of the show is so lackluster and basically just darn awful.
Its not entirely odd to bring up Heydrich in relation to the occult either, apparently he was said to be part of some whackjob order.
Hmmm, that girl from Dies irae, Anna Schwegln is aptly named, also shares her name with the last executed person for witchcraft, who was Bavarian German, which i'm told by an Austrian friend were particular right-est leaning politically.
Of course unfortunately its often the opposite that happens, nothing is worse than an ending that ruins everything.
Ah, how I love being surprised by something. That feeling where you''re watching something shakily held together, simply okay or good, then suddenly in the second half or last stretch your score of it goes massively up.
I can kind of understand the wanting to go home and watch something easy mentality instead of challenging but even though I'm guilty of escapism, I'm tired somewhat of "sillier" stuff, its often enjoyable but its get overly reptitive and I wish I could find more philosophical/political/imaginative things.
Yeah the show is great because of its theme, the setting and chemistry girls have as well as their (lack of) knowledge about basic human things. Each episode thematizes this in a different way but there isn't much you can talk or say about it when you already explained the topic in detail.
On the other hand, I don't have much to talk about Girls' Last Tour this week. It's still good, but with this episode I feel that I'm running out of concrete thig to say about the show
Haha both Houseki and 3-gatsu have a good showing this week. I have a lot of things to talk about Houseki in particular
This week's Houseki is jurassic park
*-ati - I think Netflix and so are at least giving a few new impulses which isn't too bad. I don't think the typical anime series will disappear because of that.
At least in comparisation
I think it's just sad how often I see wonderful series selling 500 BD/DVD or maybe even less. Most series don't sell more than 1500 or so and the rest is usually at ~3000-5000 which is still pretty low.
Yeah, it's one of my pro-Netflix arguments as well. Another problem is that anime (not counting manga) only make money through dvd/bd sales since they air at night, whereas Netflix or daytime tv series don't depend on the latter so much and since anime BDs are so expensive the only ones who buy them are the more extreme fans.
Might be in part due to the workaholic nature of their society that makes escapist fantasy and empty entertainment more appealing than usual. Ultimately these are the people anime is made for so opening up the markets gives more deserving shows a fighting chance.
Though that isn't to say that western taste is perfect either.
@Amagi, That's part of the reason I think some westernation might be a good thing as from what I seen the Japanese have truly terrible taste in anime. Sales charts from Japan just make me shake my head.
God, the preorder anime lists are atricious. The only one that seems to sell acceptable (around 6k) is Mahoyome. Series like Inuyashiki have 80 pre-orders so far, Shuumatsu Shoujo 977. Idol shows sell good of course, including that male/bishounen Idolmaster
@Anon, I read it but kinda fell out due to it's releases being slow.
@Anon: Actually if you check the manga recommendations section, you'll see there is a post about it here.
@Anon: Yes, it was interesting to follow a story that dealt with a characters homosexuallity that was outside of the yaoi/yuri mould.
Anonymous1620968
Out of curiosity, has anyone on here read Shimanami Tasogare?
Niello
Where are we up to with Inuyashiki?
Well alright then. Episode 9 out of 11 and that happens. Was not expecting that
Ooo something happen this week? Im about to watch it
It feels just as rushed and awkward in the manga.
I noticed this too
Inuyashiki has balls of steel to pull that in this particular episode number.
Nielllo
Finally got around to reading Helck, and it looks like it's going to go into that pile of good-shounen-that-won't-ever-get-animated right alongside Psyren.
@Aidan: Imagine trying to buy the dvds of the show in public.
@Aidan: Gentle remind that the prism ilya movie is out and subbed.
Still surprised the second and third seasons got dubbed.
@Angel, I replied to one of your comments before but the rundown is no official word yet but maybe next year.
Angel
Or no? Someone please tell me!!
Angel
Going to happen?
Angel
Is fate/kaleid liner prisma☆illya 3rei dub
I dislike it when manga bait me into reading due to the first chapter and end up being some very generic stuff afterwards. Nobody stays for B if he started something for A, authours should expect that.
Really, Juuni should stick with the 3D. That fight in ep 9 looked pretty good. 3D is clearly what they are good at
@Niello, It's not Chatango. It's a plugin for wordpress called Wisechat.
@Niello: yeah, Juuni caught me off guard this week. The production of Juuni is unfortunately shaky, but well, strong writing can save the day
Niello
Btw is this chat still Chatango?
Niello
This week episode of Juini is surprisingly good compared to how the show usually is with its backstory. Although the part where Ox tries to explain to Tiger could definitely use some visual buff.
SuperWooper
in the future*
SuperWooper
Pretty cool that Juuni Taisen had that kind of emotional heft this week, though. Might be one of the 2017 shows I sample the in the future.
SuperWooper
I think the occasional comments with an episode title and nothing more come from people who mistake the shoutbox for a search bar.
@Anon1614688: juuni taisen... made me tearing up this week. Honestly didn't expect that. Damn you, Tiger
juuni taisen
Had some complaints regarding Children of Whales but the latest two episodes were pretty good.
@Anon: You explained it better than me.
Kaiser: I actually have the exact same opinion of Natsume and Mushishi. Both are excellent, but Natsume just does a great job with a small core cast and a very simple premise
who likes naruto
Mushishi does have good stories, but it was always a manga I'd dip in and out of, on and off for years, never marathoning it, wheras Natsume was easier to read several chapters of in one go.
I think its because Natsume has more pathos.
*more than
Natsume weirdly ended up becoming this comfort manga for me with a higher consistency rate .
I will state that I hold the terrible opinion that I like Natsume Yujinchou than Mushishi but at the same time completely recognize that Mushishi is probably the more ambitious, better show.
Niello
So it becomes a cycle of "this is an interesting set up" (except that the new Kino isn't even good at that) and then they fucked up or Kino/Shizu fucked them up even more, then move on. Without the emphasis on philosophical nature of the set up they present like in the original Kino, there really isn't that much point to it.
Niello
With the new Kino it's more about messing people up, occassionally observing and hardly ever improving. The anwsers or solutions to the problem they present is never really talked about in a rational way.
@Anon1614318: maybe you should give the old Kino a try. What I don't like most about the new version of Kino is that both Kino and the new guy are sketched as hero. The old Kino manages the tone right as well. There were some really dark tales and most of them thought-provoking. Can't say the same for say...Country of Cooking
I don't know, it might be interesting to actually dig deep into the differences between episodic series with this kind of style to see what works and what doesn't.
I guess it's a matter of the chapter they chose to adapt were not really the better ones but the ones where the protagonist is more of an active role. Not totally against that, but it feels like the protagonist is just OP all the time. At least with Mushishi Ginko isn't able to save everyone all the time.
I guess it's supposed to be more allegorical, but most of the time the allegory is not really meaningful enough. I thought it would be more along the lines of Mushishi, which is kind of similar in setup, but better in most other ways.
What keeps me sticking around are some of the nice background arts and generally pleasant use of color, but admittedly most of the episodes aren't really engaging in a meaningful way. Most of the time its just Kino/Shizu show up, find out town's gimmick, then save the day. I prefer the episodes where the townspeople are more than just flat background characters.
It's interesting to see how this new Kino season is being received from folks who've already watched the original. This is my first real exposure to Kino, and I kind of like it, but even without watching the original, I share many of the same complaints Aidan and most of the others have.
I am also kinda sad he's just some 2* servant in fgo, but his power is special and he's physically weak, so it's understandable.
And again, Shakespeare is just great but the character is, sadly, kinda wasted here considering how much screentime he has.
@Aidan: Yes. Plus, maybe more characterization or background for some servants. The anime would have that time without Sieg and his romance sub plot.
@Amagi, Those being remove Sieg and more Shakespeare?
And man Apocrypha is pretty good but it would be twice as good if it had those two changes Aidan always mentions in the reviews..
@Kaiser: I think the male in Kino was a mistake. Having two PoV sounds good, but he's basically just a male Kino, he even looks like her. Someone vastly different would have been way more interesting.
I'd guarantee that sangatsu no lion would be high up, but FINALLY this weekend I'll be catching up.

Juuni Taisen – 11 [To Treat a Man to Beef From His Own Cow]

To the surprise of no one, Rat wins the race by breaking in the right place at the right time with the right weapon. This is by no mean a coincidence, because later on we learn about Rat’s real power: “Hundred Paths of Nezumi-chan”, in which he can see 100 various outcomes and thus picking […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 10 [We Live and Learn]

Welcome to week 10 of Mahoutsukai! Finally, oh so finally, we have are given some backstory on Elias! Our mysterious male(?) lead gets some explanation. We also get the start of a Chise only arc and finally some more information on Lindel. Lets jump in! As the main focus of this weeks episode, naturally I […]

Dies Irae – 09[A Mother’s Sins]

DIes Irae isn’t making this easy for the anime only watcher, as we get confused montages of Lisa’s backstory and oddly of a character whose relevance doesn’t come till a much later date. I would say it’s rather spoiler-ish if the info wasn’t presented in such a haphazard way that no one could really decode […]

Girls’ Last Tour – 10 [Train – Wavelength – Capture]

Girls’ Last Tour examines the concept of time and space this week, as the girls riding on a lonely moving train. The train design fits right in with this world: a long metal box that functions all by itself and contains many now-dysfunctional robots – corpses of the machines. Since last week we learnt that […]

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World- – 10[Kind Country]

Another remake of a story from the old series and while this one is adapted quite well, maybe even arguably better than the old version, it unfortunately lacks the same impact. The main problem comes back to the thing which ultimately holds back this season as a whole, story choice. For you see in the […]

Houseki no Kuni – 10 [Shiro]

This week proves to be the most action-packed episode Houseki has been offering so far and unconventionally, it’s Dia who takes the central stage at facing the most ridiculously overpowered Lunarian Titan to date. Well, I said “unconventionally”, but when the narration and the execution (the camera work, in particular) come together in such neat […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 22[Reunion and Farewell]

Breaking my usual routine today just to give an opinion on this episode but this episode made me feel compelled to get out my opinion. We have another action packed episode with three contestants out of the war and boy did they go out with a bang. Many will notice that the animation for this […]

Inuyashiki – 9 [Shihjuku People]

Welcome to another week of Inuyashiki! This week we have incredible sequences of terror, fearless Directors and death flags! Lets jump in. Obviously, the first thing we need to talk about this week is Hiro. A lot has happened in the few hours since Hiro attacked the Station. Interestingly, yet weirdly, Hiro has garnered a […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 21[Antares Snipe]

When Apocrypha slows down, it’s story shows it’s cracks. But when it’s an action showcase it actually becomes quite entertaining. The characters don’t have the time to be developed but they shine in combat when they clash, sometimes showing parts of themselves the series otherwise doesn’t allow for. Astolfo for one was actually useful for […]

The Reflection Review – 45/100