Posted by psgels on 18 December 2009 with categories: Darker than Black - Ryuusei no Gemini

An excellent build-up for that final episode. My big worry right now is the pacing, because there is A LOT that still needs to be revealed. On top of that, the story needs to reach its conclusion, the themes have to be wrapped up, as well as the ton of side-plots that were going on. Oh, I really hope that the creators are going to be able to pull this off. I won’t mind a few questions left open, but I will mind it if the creators end up rushing though the ending.

And yeah, I was wrong: Suou is the only copy alive at this point: the original doctor survived and instead had a clone of his killed. In the meantime, the real doctor dies in this episode. From a shot in his leg. Seriously, I think that this is the first time in anime in which a character dies from such a minor injury, although it does make sense: he was treated poorly and ended up bleeding to death. Though it gets a bit hard to believe amongst anime where characters survive multiple gunshots without being treated for days in some cases. :P

I also finally remembered to keep watching after the ED, and those were some major scenes this time: Mao is the blond woman’s former lover? Heh.
Rating: ** (Excellent)

1. m says:

When you write Shion do you mean Suou?

2. Dani says:

I’m looking forward to the end as well. And you can totally die from a gunshot to the leg. There are major arteries in there. It’s just most anime would have you believe otherwise.

3. Pissed off says:

I am going to hold all my frustration and anger for the last episode. I am currently so pissed off at this series that it is almost impossible to put everything to words. What a giant pile of motherfucking shit this second season has turned into; most of it is due to the shift in focus from the main character, Hei, to that stupid slut.

4. egress63 says:

why is the poster above me this pissed off? There are already rumors for a *THIRD* season of this coming out in 2011.

5. Drask says:

Why are you so angry? Its not like they explained anything in the first season. Why should they do it now. Yes its frustrating but this season is basically Suous story and I hope that at least her story gets a conclusion. As for the rest I expect very little.

6. psgels psgels says:

egress: really? Where exactly did you read this?

7. inter4ever says:

You wouldn’t have said it is a minor injury if you watched the Legend of the Galactic Heroes ;)

8. egress63 says:

Well, it is not official or anything like that. But the rumors that I’ve read at 2-3 places are supposing that the 4 extra episodes focusing on Hei will be used to “judge” if the third season for DtB is viable or not.

Besides, as you (and many others) have said, nothing is getting resolved by this season of DtB, so the chances of a 3rd season (given strong sales) remains high.

9. andrea says:

lol inter4ever your comment made my day :D
    By the way in the last 2-3 episodes the plot completely fell apart, it doesn’t make any sense. The first series was all about the main character kicking ass with some fight action, it was never a “smart” series to begin with; then for this season they deciced to focus more on the plot adding a new female protagonist and developing her character. The fact is that the plot isn’t really that good, and Shion is there just to attract moe fans. It’s a shame because at first I thought Shion was an interesting character. Then they make her look like a loli and fall in love with the protagonist (and even in the series is pointed out that she is just a kid).

10. jho says:

I still enjoy this series a lot. There’s no question that the themes of the 2nd season are very different from the 1st, and I definitely wish that there was more attention paid to hei and yin. I mean they built Suou into a pretty good character, but it means nothing unless she’s part of the 3rd season … if there is one.

11. ssj4jw says:

I think the 4 OVA episodes that will come with the DVD will fill in some gaps about why Yin is captured and why Hei was in a drinking state. Besides from the Title Ryuusei no Gemini you already knew who the main focus will be on.

12. FortMan says:

“There’s just one thing… how did the golem guy survive? His fight against Suou doesn’t really make any sense: he was shot in the eye before and he was just fine, and then he gets shot in his forehead, where the impact is apparently strong enough to cause a flesh-wound and knock him unconscious, but nothing more…”

The shot that exposed his eye hit his shoulder though. And none of the shots actually got to him, only the concrete. The forces from the shots still affected him though, so the shot directly to the forehead knocked him out.

13. Pi says:

I have just watched the OVA PV before tackling this episode and there’s something that’s been bothering me: Yin… is pregnant?

Mao and that Golem contractor have repeatedly saying that Yin was Hei’s former lover. From what I remember in the first season, Yin’s love for Hei was unrequited. But after watching the OVA’s PV (which takes place between the first and second season), what Mao and ‘Golem’ said seems to be true.

So, let’s assume that Hei and Yin were lovers. Then, let’s also assume that Izanami is Yin. And then, let’s consider what ‘the leader of Section 3’ says: “The sign shall be a rising cressent moon that never sinks. When it becomes full, Izanami will reach her final month of pregnancy.”

After watching the PV, there’s a scene that seems to suggest that they were quite intimate. I could be wrong but if we take the quote in the literal way, does that mean Yin is pregnant of Hei’s child?

The fact that Mao mentions that Hei has changed Yin’s life sort of puts more silly ideas into my mind, so I’m getting a little confused here. Am I thinking a little too far?

14. Raika says:

The plot thickens! It had been surmised that Shion was always a contractor even before he was born, and it looks like that guess was right. It’s also been surmised that Shion even created Suou in the womb as well, but the Dr. only stated that Suou wasn’t present when the meteor fell so that part of it is unconfirmed. The Dr. did mention that Shion’s copies always had one difference from the original, in Suou’s case it’s that she’s a girl and Shion’s a boy, so there might be some credence to that womb theory.

Anyway, I wondered too if Golem boy was dead from being shot in the head but it looks like he was just knocked out for the count (he certainly made a quick recovery). The Madame’s getup made me laugh for a bit since she looked like some sort of sentai action heroine along with that anti-contractor ray gun. The fact that she and Mao are ex-lovers is even more funny. The part where Suou disappeared during July’s reunion with Misaki was a bit odd but I’m guessing that was an illusion on the loli-twins’ part.

The bit with Yin and “her last month of pregnancy” – I’m not sure if it’s literal or something figurative. I did watch the DtB OVA as well before watching this and I was really surprised at how intimate Hei and Yin were suggested to be in some of their brief scenes together. Hei x Yin appears official at this point. (Though Suou’s feelings of Hei… probably just Stockholme’s Syndrome.)

The big question now is whether or not Yin really is with Hei’s child (they never did show Yin’s belly while she was still in the box…), and what that might mean if Shion enters the picture (would he try to create a copy of the child; would that somehow bring about said disaster and the unknown being everyone’s talking about?)? Yin is certainly not acting like herself, and I’ve been wondering now is it because that might be due to the child she’s possibly carrying (hormones bringing back her emotions, or even possibly the unborn child controlling her actions)?

Certainly more questions than answers.

Hei vs. Hazuki. Should be a kickass fight!

And yes, you can easily die by bleeding out if the femoral artery in either leg is severed. Something to consider if anyone wants to go shooting people in the leg just to stop them from running, heh. Movies often don’t work out like real life.

15. fumachu says:

**** SPOILER ALERT ****
    **** LONG MESSAGE ALERT ****
    The above message is there not because I know anything that will be coming up, but because some of what I am writing down (some speculative, some based on what has already transpired) may be perceived as such. With only the final chapter to go, it’s clear that the producers are not going to be using the time to connect all the dots or explicitly answers everything, particularly the smaller stuff. So here’s what I think we are already suppose to have understood of the story line (I am doing this for my own edification, as it help me out, and for those who could use some background commentary. For those who enjoy looking back only after the entire story is told, please stop reading!):

1) The Power Struggle background- Starting with Season 1, there have always been several political/military factions trying to control things, including the Syndicate, CIA, MI-5, etc. In Season 2, the Russians (through the Colonel) were also added to the game. As of right now, however, only Section 3 and the CIA are left. The former were the keeper/user of Yin/Inazami and the new owner to the doll system. The Russians, unknown to them, were the ones who had Inazagi (Shion), as they were the ones sponsoring the Doctor/Father’s work. His work was on the ME machine, something able to “create”/harness contractor power. Looking back, Shion was really the one who had that power. The CIA are the new kids in the block, who have been working covertly (they are the CIA, after all) trying obtain both Inazagi and Inazami for themselves. As such, they are the ones (through contracting Hei, the blonde, etc.) who initiate the action in Season 2 and go to Siberia to try to steal Shion.

2) The Myth thread; Shion/Inazagi – It’s now explained that the war at Heaven’s gate was a result of the myth of Inazagi/Inazami, and everyone going after this mythical power to change the world (as told by the Mitaka documents) or control/create/eliminate the contractors’ powers. Hei “lost” his sister in that war, which led to his quest in Season 1 to seek her out. At some point in that war, we “inherited” his Sister’s powers (or a small portion of it), and became the key for unlocking Hell’s gate, which he then refuses to do. In Season 2, by getting zapped by the Section 3 machine (harnessed through Yin’s power to destroy contractors). He is “saved” from death by Suou’s amulet, but in the process loses his power. What the amulet does is still a mystery, but one which will likely be answered in the final chapter. So Shion’s power is to create beings/contractors, which was further enhanced two years before Season 2 started, when a meteor crashed somehow increased his power and he became Inazagi (creator).

3) The Myth – Inazami: This part of the myth is significantly more muddled. How did Yin become Inazami, I would guess, will not be answered in this final chapter, but in the OVA, which tells the story of what happen to Hei/Yin during the “lost years” between Season 1 and 2. (By now people already know that Season 2 was not really about Hei/Yin, but about Suou’s arc). If I were to guess, Yin is carrying Hei’s baby (as many speculated), and that is how she became Inazami. I would go further and speculate that she “inherited” the power that originally belonged to Hei’s sister and was passed down to her through Hei (who inherited from her sister before she disappeared in the Heaven’s gate war). Hei’s sister was the most powerful contractor, whose power was to destroy contractors, which is Inazami’s power. That would be one way to make this all tie up. It also explains why Hei wanted (and perhaps still want) to “destroy” Yin, and started Season 2 as a drunk, cold killer, as he was the one who felt responsible for Yin’s transformation to what she is now.

3) The blonde (and her twins) – Perhaps the most underdeveloped, but key character in Season 2. Her role in the plot is that of a manipulator, the puppet mistress, if you will. My guess is that she was ex-Syndicate (alluded by the fact that she has a former romantic tryst with Mao/Ricardo/Momongo). In the Syndicate, she was probably much like Huang, a human manager of contractors for the syndicate (perhaps Mao’s former handler?). In Season 2, she is a “free-agent” who works at times for the CIA, but who has her own agenda. Her “power” is derived from the twins who, perhaps because they are two of them, have the ability to infiltrate into the “doll” network and obtain information on everyone and everything. She clearly has her own agenda, which is still a bit of a mystery. In this chapter, she cuts ties with the CIA (they call her cell phone before she gets rid of it), who are now trying to rid of her. She wants Shion and also Suou for herself, and used Hei, Kisaki, and Suou (through July) to force what is about to happen.

4) CIA – Not much to say here, other than they are one of the antagonists in this story, albeit they don’t show up that much other than to create havoc and kill (in Siberia and now in Tokyo). It’s likely that they were the ones who killed Hazuki’s lover, to obtain information on the whereabouts of Inazami. It’s also likely that they got wind of her kidnap through the blonde puppet mistress.

5) Section 3 – The other antagonists. A few things to fill in here. Golem (the contractor buddying up to Kisaki) is likely a double-agent working for the CIA. I am speculating this from the fact that he is trying to find out more than what is told to him and seems chummy with the CIA, when they descended upon the dead body of the doctor, as he was stopped from mutilating the doc’s dead body by the CIA operative. He is intent of getting Shion, not for Section 3, but for the CIA. Hazuki, the girl-loving sword wielding contractor working for Section 3, was manipulated to the airport by Hei (or the blonde) to meet with her grandfather. This provided an opening for Hei to kidnap her lover and obtain the whereabouts for Yin. Kisaki somehow finds out about this plot, when she herself tries to find out a way to get information on Yin’s whereabouts (not sure exactly how she got that information by looking in her computer.) As for the doll system under control by Section 3, it looks like it is how the Puppet Mistress infiltrates into Section 3. She is able to intercept info as well as it down at times, through the twins.

4) Kisaki – Like Season 1, Kisaki really is nothing more than a foil character. She represents the human who is lost and manipulated by everyone. She is the character that least changed from Season 1, and for a good reason. She represents us, the viewer. Through her, we get to go along in this crazy ride, amazed at all the plots, power struggles and twists and turns. She is there to provide us a reference point and, to a lesser extent, as the bumbling, after-the-fact, investigator. The only problem is that the writers have been having a hard time keeping her in the series, creating many hard-to-believe coincidences to have her tag along with the action. A bit of a weak point, but, nonetheless, an essential character to provide contrast and explanations to things.

5) Hei-Yin – Not much will be answered about them here of what happened to them after the Hell’s gate incident. If we are fortunate, we will know what their “end” will be, but their story leading to this season is likely going to be told elsewhere (OVA is my guess).

6) Suou – The true protagonist and the most interesting character. If you had expectations of Hei and Yin carrying the show, then you are probably pretty disappointed right now. If you, OTOH, got interested in Suou, then this series was probably much more compelling to you. You can tell which one you are just by measuring the level of interest you have on Suou’s fate in the upcoming final chapter. If it’s cursory, then you will likely judge this as a “blah” series (or even awful). If that is pretty critical to you, then this series likely was enjoyable. I am of the latter, as I found the character to be quite creative. You have a non-japanese/not foreign, not-contractor/not-human, not girl/not adult, not even real!, who is trying to figure out how she fits in this whole scheme. That, to me, is quite a departure from many other shows. I don’t have a clue what she will end up, but I am very eager to find out. That puts me squarely on the side that got “hooked”.

I don’t know if this is all right, but I hope that this helps those who needed some “connect the dots” info. It did help me to jot it down…

16. tzuge says:

btw… why is Shion considered to be Izanagi again? For some reason i think it’s going to turn out to be Suon who is important, because of her(?) origins. Did anyone else get the impression that Shion might have created Suon out of something that came out of the meteor strike?

17. Raika says:

I just had another idea. Maybe who we thought was Yin all this time manifesting herself through observation ghosts is Hei and Yin’s unborn child, and not Yin herself. Who knows? We’re almost at the end of the series and it seems like they’ll have to cram in a lot to answer all these questions.

As for Shion being Izanagi, according to the legend Izanagi is a bringer of life while Izanami is a bringer of death (he vowed to create 1500 lives for every 1000 Izanami would take). Given Shion’s ability to make copies, even of living human beings, it makes sense to connect him to Izanagi. But again, it could very well be Suou and not Shion fated to bring disaster if she ever meets Izanami/Yin.

18. UmbrellaMan says:

Question. The police said that the only way to keep Izanami and Izanagi from their fateful reunion was to kill Izanagi. Why didn’t they just kill Izanami, whom they had/have in their possession instead? You can’t have them meeting if one of them is dead. I smell a minor flaw in logic there…

Besides that, this episode was pretty good. It was definitely a build up for the finale. Here’s hoping it will be a decent conclusion. I liked the fact that Mao slept with the crazy blonde chick. lol.

19. Pi says:

Ha ha! Props to you fumachu; that was an awesome post (despite the odd numbering)! Loved it! Thank you for the information.

Now that I think about it, Golem was indeed pretty chummy with the CIA. I guess Golem being a double-agent would support the reason why he’s been trying to fish around for some information from Misaki.

I sense many plot holes to come in the last episode, so I’m pretty happy to see that there’s a possibility of a third season. I highly doubt an OVA and an episode would cover the essential/main plot holes but needless to say, I really want a third season.

With fumachu’s insightful post, I also see the reason why Suou is the new main focus of the series. If the myth of Izanami and Izanagi the main focus of the story/the gates/the outcome of the gates, we can assume that the producers tried to separate the myths into two sections:

1. focus on Izanami in the first season: Hei being the key element that changed Yin’s life. In order to see the changes in Yin, the audience had to get familiar with the person who changed her life–which is Hei, the main protagonist in the first season.

and

2.focus on Izanagi on the second: Suou being the key element that changed Shion’s life. While Shion had the ability to create life/harness contractor powers, Suou was the one that really changed his life. Without her appearance, Shion would have never been able to grant her powers and ‘create’ a copy of her.

And I guess this is also how Hei can relate to Suou so much and tried to help her. They were both seeking for someone really important (whom happened to be both Izanami and Izanagi) in their life but they were both originally not contractors and were granted with those powers. It could be Hei and Suou the ones who are going to create the disaster (even though it was told that Izanami’s and Izanagi’s reunion would be a disastrous thing)?

20. Pi says:

@Umbrellaman,

I think the myth can also explain your question. I’m going to quote this from Raika’s post: “the vowed to create 1500 lives for every 1000 Izanami would take.” From what I remember, humans have been trying to get rid of contractors. While many of them tried to use them as weapons, they were originally considered as unwelcomed aliens. So if they kill Izanagi, and leave Izanami off on a contractor killing spree, it would resolve the root of their problem and achieve their goal effortlessly.(No more contractors! Woo hoo! Not)

Of course, it could be a minor flaw like you’ve mentioned. I still don’t understand how Hei managed to save Suou and July (and Mao) when they were kidnapped by a Russian contraction…

and not to mention how Golem managed to survive that bullet(of course it was explained in earlier post how he managed to survive but it’s iffy), I mean… do you remember how Tanya was killed? Shion shot her from a pretty long distance and look at the impact! Half of her stomach was blown off. While Mr. Golem was covered in rock, I would assume the impact would be bigger since Suou shot him in a closer range.

21. PL says:

Before she shot him, she said, “It’s not like it’s going to kill you, right?” or something to that effect, so there was something about his powers or something we just don’t get.

22. Reltair says:

It feels like the last episode is going to either be really rushed or things will be felt unresolved.

23. Snowolf says:

I just saw the last episode, and though it wasn’t subbed or anything…um….yeah. it was WAY rushed. i mean, like a WTF episode. so be prepared.

Anonymous951955
We'll see; trailers can give false impressions
Anonymous951955
Not that all changes from source adaptations are terrible, but in this case, at least the trailer makes it look pretty bad.
Anonymous951955
It looks not great; I understand the need to change it a bit to suit the format/audience, but at what point does it turn from adaption to "loosely based on"?
HelghastKillzone
I'm glad we're past the phase of moe club shows.
@Helghast, now that's something I never thought I would hear.
HelghastKillzone
Hell ya. We are in a golden age of anime that is filled with options and quality.
What a great week! Iron Blooded Orphans, Onihei, Little Witch Academia and ACCA 13 all had great episodes! I am spoiled!
@Anon and @Aikan

The LoGH manga remake has been out. It did not work for me.

I hope he anime goes its own way. I do trust Production IG, so I hope. I think it might not be this year. No lgoic, just a hunch.
@Anon, Only info I can find is that it's coming out this year and it will be by Production IG. But I think you are right in that if it;s coming this year it will definitely be winter.
Feeling rather cautious about the remake myself. LoGH is dated visually but in a way it is a product of it's time and things you could forgive in the old version wouldn't be so forgivable in the new.
Does anybody know when that LoGH readaptation is coming? It's supposed to be this year right? Probably winter right?
But I will give it a full review anyways because all the amount of time I spent in that series should be paid off somehow, right?
But serious Gohands is a studio that had potential its just a shame its wasted on rubbish writers. Although I did like mardock scramble, because cyberpunk =)
If I met handshakers in public I'd refuse to shake its hand =D
Oh, it's actually just an extra Hand Shakers episode that serves as a prequel story. Not that bad then
Not to disregard Hand Shakers, but the best way to describe how I feel about that series is mind-numbing
They tried with that Military guy and his daughter but not by much.
But I do agree that there needs to be more to the characters, right now its JUST Tanya.
As for Tanya, having caught up with it, its a nice trashy guilty pleasure, especially due to the protagonist and I enjoy the setting because I'm a war film fan and like some of the action/politicking. I still do wish it was aesthetically a bit better. The dub isn't that bad and I'd welcome a second season.
In an ideal world Kino's journey would have been a good model for what light novel adaptations can be and SHOULD be.
If we must have more light novel adaptations, I would prefer them to be like Tanya, Muvluv, okay hardly breathtaking, but still better than that thing Aidan linked.
*Sigh* It looks exactly how I imagined it would and its terrible.
Please dont tell me thats an actual title.
In another world with my smart phone light novel to get an anime.

Oh my god...This literally sounds like a joke title you would see within an anime. Tried giving it an honest chance by reading it and it's just shit. Just pure terrible.
If people in Japan are actually buying blurays thinking its a good show then something is seriously wrong with the world.
@Topgavin, maybe too many people watched it because it was so terrible. I haven't watched past episode 1 but it doesn't sound like it improved.
Just incase you guys were avidly waiting for the announcement, Hand Shakers is getting a prequel season because it's apparently selling well......
Should be happy for it, though I'm a bit disappointed that I can't be able to cover it
Inside Mari gets live-action series adaptation. Why not anime?? Duh
Spike
Little Witch Academia finally tips it's hand on the overall plot! I'm pretty pleased and think some direction might help bump it up from just being 'good' overall.
HelghastKillzone
@KTravlos Still watching it week by week and I'll write up a review on the second season of Iron-Blooded when it ends.
@Mario: It is however the kind of anime film that would have the wide audience appeal though, as in anime for people who don't watch anime.
@Kaiser: just prove that people has paid attention to anime. That's an encouraging sign actually
Feck, silent voice was booked out when I got there just now....should have booked in advance, showing at 7:00 on Friday booking it now.
@KTravlos: I haven't, but that more because I'm not a big fan of Mecha genre. I believe one of our writer HelghastKillzone still follow the series
No idea, if you are all still watching MS Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans. I am, and while the 2nd Season toned down some of the elements that made the 1st Season good, it is still pretty good with the last episode doing a great job. If it keeps it, it definitely is head to head with Turn A Gundam for my favorite long-form Gundam Series (I am doing Gundam Origins for the original story)
Mhmm. It was one of those shows it weave adult themes into a kids show, so it had something for both. Now I can also appreciate the artstyle that doesnt use hard black outlines for everything.
If anything I get so much more out of Samurai Jack now than when I watched it as a kid.
Love that dude Aidan. And yes Kaiser, I think anyone get enjoy it now. I love that its back, but even without that its easily standing on its own
How much of this love of samurai jack is a nostalgia driven thing? I'm not knocking that nostalgia but would it be possible to get something out of the show now if I never watched it when I was younger?
Yeah, that conversation was great. Really shows you how messed up hes become. Its also amazing when you realize that was the last set of spoken dialogue in the episode. There was not a single word uttered in the second half.
The audience who enjoyed samurai Jack has grown up, them bringing up seppuku and blood is possibly a part of that.
Scene with the coffins was awesome as was the fight in the dark. My personal favorite part of the episode though was Jack arguing with his old design self. And young jack suggesting committing seppuku made my eyebrows raise. I mean..damn.
I agree Aidan. That quick shot of Jack vs the Daughter, with the sudden blood, suprised me as much as it did Jack. I really loved the scene with the coffins. The music nad sound was just great there.
@Lenlo, It was a really great episode. I love the meta of Jack being worn down by the wait and the wait the viewers had to endure for the new season. I is rather odd seeing blood in Samurai Jack though but it does make that particular moment have so much more impact.
April 16th for NZ. It is a lesser known movie than Kimi no na wa though, so I do wonder how available it's going to be in cinemas
This second episode of Jack was really just amazing. Its making full use of the new budget/tech for the art and of the new rating, along with the impact the timeskip would have on Jack. The cinematography was superb as well.
@Kaiser: Koe ko machi will creen in Aussie in the beginning of April as well. I'll go to watch it; but I would love to jear your thoughts on the movie.
There is a preview screening of koe to kachi on Monday night, depending I may go, I may review it or at least talk about it on here.
I'm dying waiting for the Blame! anime film adaptation to come out in May. I've wanted an adaptation for years.
And I'm too much of a cheap-ass to actually buy anything, don't even use legal streaming for films or anime/manga/comics, pirate almost everything.
Or shelves for that matter.
I've fallen out of the collectors thing pretty much entirely. I don't like to advertise any of my interests on my bedroom wall either.
Some years ago I ended up selling almost all of my anime dvds/vhs and manga, comic books aswell, took down my posters and moved what figures I had left into attic boxes , just no space for it and it was a good way to get some quick extra cash.
I love Rakugo as well, im not meaning to bad talk it at all. I simply also agree with Aiden that slow rolling us with Yakumo's death was poorly done and that its feeling stretched.
Nevermind, the $30 price tag made that decision for me
Weird how I see $8 movies on youtube as a ripoff yet a $90 series as a bargain. All these $300 box sets made me think it'd be in the hundreds. Wonder if I should get rebellion too
I'm still pretty much a fan of Rakugo this season. It goes much darker than the first season, something I didn't dare to think before consider this isYotaro's story. Would love to see more about rakugo's industry but this season does flesh out a lot of our core characters
I said it before but I'll bring it up again, the slow pace allows for, when big things happen to have a larger impact when they do.
*In
**and(not on) waiting for the series to finish
Season 1 showed a lot more, different periods and times, the development of Rakugo, the tragedy of Sukeroku & Miyokichi (or at least one version). In contrast, season 2 was basically about Sukeroku's legacy in the form of Yotaro and Konatsu and their kids, and Yakumo's relationship with death, changing from fatalistic to happiness over the course of the series.
I think it might be 13 episodes, the first season had 13.
To be honest, I understand your point: It's hard to actually describe what happened in season 2. I guess I became invested into Yakumo in season 1, and then warmed up to Yota and Konatsu in this season.
Yeah, I think they certainly could have compressed the front half of the season. There wasn't too much plot going on, but I enjoyed the characters and their interactions, so I didn't mind the deliberate pacing.
I still really like Rakugo, its really good, it just probably didnt need 12 episodes. That said, really lookin forward to the timeskip
@Mario: I've never actually seen any of Olivier Asayas' films come to think of it.
But going back to that dragging on, that did factor in almost making me hold off on waiting for the series to finish before going back. The anon's comment was what got me to watch this weeks episode right now rather than waiting till later.
Rakugo remains at this point still going in too long, but in fairness to the anon, yes the episodes conclusion was effective on emotional level and I bought into the dreamy atmosphere, largely due to the good cinematography the series uses.
Really? Im torn. Im glad they didnt bait and switch us again, but I always liked how grounded Rakugo was so im not sure how ok I am with the supernatural part and some of it felt like fanservice in regards to bringing characters back. The VA though is fantastic as always and I am definitely looking forward to this last timeskip. Cant wait to see the kids grown up.
Rakugo was otherworldly today. Not going to lie, was fighting tears back, but failed at the end.
@Topgavin: the bluray goes by region as well so you can only buy it in Australia/NZ region (region 4). For Madoka I still find it easiest to just go to JB Hi Fi and buy it. Sometimes I find it cheaper from JB Hi Fi than even their original distribution company.
@Topgavin, I ordered my Madoka bluray's from Amazon.co.uk.
Where do you guys buy your merch? Was looking into buying the Madoka blurays but can't find a reliable place to ship to NZ.
@Kaiser: nah, Personal Shopper isn't even a horror. It's just a failed arthouse that have little to say except grief.
...even now. For Raw, I would never expect the positive reactions from mainstream. I think the film really push the tolerance of the voewers, but it was a refrrshing watch.
@Kaiser: now you mentioned 2 films thay I really fond of. I come from Vietnam, so I could easily tell you that the settings are staged. The dialogue is pretty unnatural as well, but the movie grows a lot on me. I still love the striking visual and a long, slow mood the film evoke, and It speaks to one of the theme (women's identity in Vietnam society) that speaks well to me and still relevant...
@Mario: Is personal shopper really that mediocre a horror film?
@Mario: I also got back from seeing Raw a couple of hours ago, though the violence was enjoyable I was expecting it to be more so, it was also surprisingly funny at times.
@Mario: I did eventually see Scent of Green Papaya, while I did like that a plot actually did appear later on I was mostly content to find it a really pretty looking and generally relaxing film.
@Aidan: =< Sorry that anon post was me, was using the work computer and didn't log in.
@Anon, don't do that. Don't hint at future events and just let people see for themselves.
The glasses teacher in scum's wish will have an interesting moment to look out for in the coming episodes, I read on in the manga. Only one chapter left.
*ED instead of OD
@anon928813: usually they will release the music separately from the DVD/Blurays. I believed the OP had released last year, and according to their website the OD gonna release in 5th of April
Does anyone know the release date for Zaregoto's OST? Is it bundled with one of the BDs?
Y'know I'd like to see this Akane-sensei girl attempt to seduce me and just watch her fail at trying to do so.
My guess is that Miura will do another 6 or so chapter run then put it down for another while.
Im so happy Berserk Manga is starting up again, but im curious for how long. I remember sitting through that boat. I was there for all 7 years of it. Im like a hiatus vet now
Pretty much in agreement on titan where after what the first season covers I've pretty much been waiting for it to get back on track before I bother to get back to it.
I should be catching up and sangatsu and acca.
I never saw kekkai sensens first season so there's little chance of me watching the sequel.
Berserk and Natsume I'll just stick with the manga. I don't know about Bahamut, it took me a few episodes to get into before it became fun, but then the ending was disappointing, again maybe there's room for improvement in season 2.
I would hope that eccentric families second season would be able to live up to the potential of building on the first. However it's been a while since I've seen season one, might need to refresh myself.
For the Spring season, it is a season of sequels. From sequels alone, I'll follow Berserk, Eccentric Family, BBB, My Hero Academia, Attack on Titan, Natsume (is it the last season?), How to Raise a Boring girlfriend. I dropped Shingeki no Bahamut after 3 episodes, but might pick it up again before the new season begin.
Before that, Utena and Haruhi.
Gotta love the extend a passionate fan would go. The last time I felt passionate about something anime-wise was Monogatari as there was a period of several months that I watched nothing but that series, and rewatched and rewatched. It just clicked with me personally at that stage of my life.
At this point, ill watch/read anything with Berserk on it. I already own all of the original print runs of the Manga. If I had the money, I would buy everything else.
@Lenlo: I'll be on the same boat with you regarding Berserk. I know I CAN ENDURE it (finger crossed)
Man, your season preview reminded me I soon have to watch another season of CGI Berserk. Im not going to like it, but its a trial I must go through as a hardcore Berserk fan.
Im glad they didnt lose the funny robots in their pursuit of the Grimdark
That flute into Skatman-like singing was great
@Lenlo, I had the biggest smile when Jack destroyed the robots flute and he started singing with his mouth. Looking at clips of the show on youtube I don't think I appreciated just how funny this show was. Also digging Jacks PTSD and the daughters of Aku.
Dude has problems and I loved the singing robot
Have to say, enjoyed seeing Jack again.
Thanks Aidan! Cant wait to watch it tonight
Well I suppose it is moreso samurai Jack wasn't really a large part of my childhood.
Don't know how it is for security but I never really had trouble with it.
Love me some Samurai Jack though
It may just be Malwarebytes actin up. Ill look into it and if its a false flag check it out.
I never really had any opinion of samurai Jack when it was airing.
Oh I'm enthusiastic about Kino season 2, but I want to be cautiously optimistic just in case.
But has anyone read on in the Kino novels to confirm that a second season would have good material to work with, would it fall prey to the light novel curse that apparently many of then weaken by the third volume?
The only issue I've found with kiss is that, in firefox at least, sometimes it slows down my browser but only now and then. Never had any trouble with viruses or mal/spyware on it. Though it won't allow adblock =<
@Aidan: I was surprised at Kino's Journey news as well. Yay for having a new season!!
I have no problem with kiss whatsoever regarding virus. Hehe then try to catch it at Toonami
Yeeeah, sorry, my anti-virus isnt that big a fan of kiss.
You can watch it online at kisscartoon, of course at your own risk ^^
I really want to watch the new Samurai Jack season, but I cant catch it when it airs and dont know where to find it otherwise
Plan on getting the spring season Preview up today or Tommarrow. Things basically written up so it's just a matter of getting it to look right on the site.
Who here is watching the new season of Samurai Jack? That first episode hit me hard with nostalgia. It's like he never left.
Spice and Wolf season 3 may not be so impossible after all. Or hell even a Spice and wolf full remake, FMA Brotherhood style.
Holy crap, Kino's Journey is getting a new anime. Never thought that would happen. Sweet.
Art was great, sound was great, an argument could easily be made for 9/10. Its just cohesive story and efficient use of episodes means alot to me. I kinda had to actively remind my self to watch after ep 6 and then binged 10+.
8.5/10. I really liked the start, the middle kinda lagged plot wise for me which is always my most important metric, and the last 3-4 episodes were great.
@Lenlo: how would you rate it?
@Lenlo: it's the middle part that I completely fell in love with. Well, guess that everyone have different taste huh?
So finally finished Flip Flappers. Had it on my to do list since last season. It ended pretty well imo, but the middle lagged for me in places.
HXH does pull off drama well but one thing that annoys me is how it builds up these big confrontations just to have them fizzle out. An anticlimax may be unexpected but in some case it would be more satisfying to just have things play out predictably.
And it did it better than Naruto, which had 7 years to pull that off.
I think one of the reasons HxH pulled it off so well, is because the first like 100 episodes built up to it. It pulled off the slow transition of basic shounen to well developed drama sort of thing very well. It slow rolled us basically.
Since when did HxH become a feels trip show? ep135 just ruined me, and did it better than actual 'feels trip' shows because of how unexpected and masterfully executed it was. The Chimera ant arc may have been slow, but by itself it was very FMA:B reminiscent with the huge character cast, amazing execution and the conflict in antagonists and humans and their values/morals.
@KAiser: oh man, you remind me again that I need to watch Bela Tarr's films. I remember one of the blogger was frustrated at the Turin Horse for "showing the pot of boiled potato for 10 minutes". I was cackling hard with his comment.
@Mario: The realist genre in general really clicks with me, the neo-realist movement, can't get enough of it.
Selish giant, ratcatcher and fishtank, maybe even gummo might be other good example of social realist stuff.
Bela Tarr did two accessible films in his early career called Prefab people and family nest which had a social realist feel to them.
@Mario: I've seen Kathy come home, Daniel Blake, Kes and wind that shakes the barley, of those Kathy and Daniel were the most emotional rewarding but being Irish it was very easy to connect with wind that shakes the barley. But yes I agree (as would my father) that Loach loves to "announce everything" or turn everything into a speech.
I've heard good things about Lorna's Silence as well
so do you watch Ken Loach? admittedly I just watched his I, Daniel Blake and it was solid, but a bit too much "message" for my taste
@Mario: I'm fond of that kitchen sink/social realist type of drama in general.
Yes! I finally actually properly registered my name on here!
@Mario: I've seen Rosetta, L'enfant and le Promese, two days one night, very moving and affecting films. My eye is on Lorna's silence , but I haven't seen kid with the bike, so I'll give that a look.
@Kaiser: fair enough, although for me I never really care about the dub version. Always prefer the Japanese voices :)
They have such a simple, yet direct handheld film making styles, so simple that many accused them for being amateurish.
@Kaiser: I actually watched a handful of Dardenne's works so I can give you my recommendation. Rosetta for me is their best, L'Efant, The Kid with a Bike and 3 Days 2 Nights are all excellent; with their latest The Unknown Girl was a slightly letdown
KaiserEoghan
@Mario: Acca is quite slow and wordy, so I will wait for the English dub.
KaiserEoghan
@Mario: Might check out some more of the Dardenne’s works soon.
KaiserEoghan
@Mario: Yes, I also agree that Erdmann was largely more of a drama, though the balance between comedy and drama was masterful.

Little Witch Academia – 11[Blue Moon]

I don’t mind the lighthearted shenanigans of Little Witch Academia but in my opinion it’s episodes like this that will truly make the show memorable. After ten episodes of mere hints as to the state of magic and it’s history we get a truckload of answers. Why is magic being considered antiquated? Because magic is […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 24

When I started this season of Rakugo I was under the impression that this would be Konatsu’s and Yotaro’s story seeing as Yakumo’s had reached it’s end. However to my dismay it appeared that halfway through the season Yakumo has hijacked the series. I previously stated that the story of Rakugo has already ended with […]

Saga of Tanya the Evil – 10[Path to Victory]

What am I to say when the majority of the episode is detailing a military operation? I admit that content has become spare in this series as of late and the Tanya vs God battle has more or less been pushed to the sideline. Tanya had one moment here where it looked like her mission […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. – 11 [Furawau’s Flowers Smell of Malice]

Really ACCA? Only one episode left and you’re still in set-up stage, with the coup is lingering in the air, but never comes in real form. In fact, ACCA is a series about setting up. Its deliberate pacing can really test the viewer’s’ patience, and I totally understand if most of you have fallen out […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 22 [New School Term – Fighter]

We get to an end of 3-gatsu run but it feels more like a new beginning. Like what I feared last week the last episode doesn’t really have a conclusive ending, instead offers us the new semester of Rei and his childhood and his shogi, which in all fairness are the weaker parts of 3-gatsu. […]

Scum’s Wish – 10 [Fragile and Empty]

This week the main spotlight is heading back to our beloved Akane and two of her relationships preys, Mugi and Narumi. Although I really like the way the show addresses each of those tainted relationships until finally we’d get to the bare bone of Mugi and Hanabi’s core relationship, this episode for me is just […]

Little Witch Academia – 10[Bee Commotion]

I remember seeing a remark someone made that Little Witch Academia would lose half it’s fanbase when the realize that they don’t like Saturday morning cartoons all that much. While most likely said in jest, I find there is a certain degree of truth in that statement. I did enjoy this episode of Little Witch […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 23

The extended epilogue continues as Yakumo returns home after the theatre burns down. Some are signifying the burning down of the theatre as the death of Rakugo while others are speaking of it as a new beginning. After all Rakugo can be performed anywhere as long as someone is willing to listen. The members of […]

Saga of Tanya the Evil – 09[Preparations for Advance]

A calm before the storm episode as the war with the Republic draws close to its climax. It’s nice to see the episode start off with Tanya trying to rationalize her actions in the previous episode. What may not be apparent from the anime is that Viktoriya has a tendency of coming up with reasons […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100