Posted by psgels on 18 December 2009 with categories: Darker than Black - Ryuusei no Gemini

An excellent build-up for that final episode. My big worry right now is the pacing, because there is A LOT that still needs to be revealed. On top of that, the story needs to reach its conclusion, the themes have to be wrapped up, as well as the ton of side-plots that were going on. Oh, I really hope that the creators are going to be able to pull this off. I won’t mind a few questions left open, but I will mind it if the creators end up rushing though the ending.

And yeah, I was wrong: Suou is the only copy alive at this point: the original doctor survived and instead had a clone of his killed. In the meantime, the real doctor dies in this episode. From a shot in his leg. Seriously, I think that this is the first time in anime in which a character dies from such a minor injury, although it does make sense: he was treated poorly and ended up bleeding to death. Though it gets a bit hard to believe amongst anime where characters survive multiple gunshots without being treated for days in some cases. :P

I also finally remembered to keep watching after the ED, and those were some major scenes this time: Mao is the blond woman’s former lover? Heh.
Rating: ** (Excellent)

1. m says:

When you write Shion do you mean Suou?

2. Dani says:

I’m looking forward to the end as well. And you can totally die from a gunshot to the leg. There are major arteries in there. It’s just most anime would have you believe otherwise.

3. Pissed off says:

I am going to hold all my frustration and anger for the last episode. I am currently so pissed off at this series that it is almost impossible to put everything to words. What a giant pile of motherfucking shit this second season has turned into; most of it is due to the shift in focus from the main character, Hei, to that stupid slut.

4. egress63 says:

why is the poster above me this pissed off? There are already rumors for a *THIRD* season of this coming out in 2011.

5. Drask says:

Why are you so angry? Its not like they explained anything in the first season. Why should they do it now. Yes its frustrating but this season is basically Suous story and I hope that at least her story gets a conclusion. As for the rest I expect very little.

6. psgels psgels says:

egress: really? Where exactly did you read this?

7. inter4ever says:

You wouldn’t have said it is a minor injury if you watched the Legend of the Galactic Heroes ;)

8. egress63 says:

Well, it is not official or anything like that. But the rumors that I’ve read at 2-3 places are supposing that the 4 extra episodes focusing on Hei will be used to “judge” if the third season for DtB is viable or not.

Besides, as you (and many others) have said, nothing is getting resolved by this season of DtB, so the chances of a 3rd season (given strong sales) remains high.

9. andrea says:

lol inter4ever your comment made my day :D
    By the way in the last 2-3 episodes the plot completely fell apart, it doesn’t make any sense. The first series was all about the main character kicking ass with some fight action, it was never a “smart” series to begin with; then for this season they deciced to focus more on the plot adding a new female protagonist and developing her character. The fact is that the plot isn’t really that good, and Shion is there just to attract moe fans. It’s a shame because at first I thought Shion was an interesting character. Then they make her look like a loli and fall in love with the protagonist (and even in the series is pointed out that she is just a kid).

10. jho says:

I still enjoy this series a lot. There’s no question that the themes of the 2nd season are very different from the 1st, and I definitely wish that there was more attention paid to hei and yin. I mean they built Suou into a pretty good character, but it means nothing unless she’s part of the 3rd season … if there is one.

11. ssj4jw says:

I think the 4 OVA episodes that will come with the DVD will fill in some gaps about why Yin is captured and why Hei was in a drinking state. Besides from the Title Ryuusei no Gemini you already knew who the main focus will be on.

12. FortMan says:

“There’s just one thing… how did the golem guy survive? His fight against Suou doesn’t really make any sense: he was shot in the eye before and he was just fine, and then he gets shot in his forehead, where the impact is apparently strong enough to cause a flesh-wound and knock him unconscious, but nothing more…”

The shot that exposed his eye hit his shoulder though. And none of the shots actually got to him, only the concrete. The forces from the shots still affected him though, so the shot directly to the forehead knocked him out.

13. Pi says:

I have just watched the OVA PV before tackling this episode and there’s something that’s been bothering me: Yin… is pregnant?

Mao and that Golem contractor have repeatedly saying that Yin was Hei’s former lover. From what I remember in the first season, Yin’s love for Hei was unrequited. But after watching the OVA’s PV (which takes place between the first and second season), what Mao and ‘Golem’ said seems to be true.

So, let’s assume that Hei and Yin were lovers. Then, let’s also assume that Izanami is Yin. And then, let’s consider what ‘the leader of Section 3’ says: “The sign shall be a rising cressent moon that never sinks. When it becomes full, Izanami will reach her final month of pregnancy.”

After watching the PV, there’s a scene that seems to suggest that they were quite intimate. I could be wrong but if we take the quote in the literal way, does that mean Yin is pregnant of Hei’s child?

The fact that Mao mentions that Hei has changed Yin’s life sort of puts more silly ideas into my mind, so I’m getting a little confused here. Am I thinking a little too far?

14. Raika says:

The plot thickens! It had been surmised that Shion was always a contractor even before he was born, and it looks like that guess was right. It’s also been surmised that Shion even created Suou in the womb as well, but the Dr. only stated that Suou wasn’t present when the meteor fell so that part of it is unconfirmed. The Dr. did mention that Shion’s copies always had one difference from the original, in Suou’s case it’s that she’s a girl and Shion’s a boy, so there might be some credence to that womb theory.

Anyway, I wondered too if Golem boy was dead from being shot in the head but it looks like he was just knocked out for the count (he certainly made a quick recovery). The Madame’s getup made me laugh for a bit since she looked like some sort of sentai action heroine along with that anti-contractor ray gun. The fact that she and Mao are ex-lovers is even more funny. The part where Suou disappeared during July’s reunion with Misaki was a bit odd but I’m guessing that was an illusion on the loli-twins’ part.

The bit with Yin and “her last month of pregnancy” – I’m not sure if it’s literal or something figurative. I did watch the DtB OVA as well before watching this and I was really surprised at how intimate Hei and Yin were suggested to be in some of their brief scenes together. Hei x Yin appears official at this point. (Though Suou’s feelings of Hei… probably just Stockholme’s Syndrome.)

The big question now is whether or not Yin really is with Hei’s child (they never did show Yin’s belly while she was still in the box…), and what that might mean if Shion enters the picture (would he try to create a copy of the child; would that somehow bring about said disaster and the unknown being everyone’s talking about?)? Yin is certainly not acting like herself, and I’ve been wondering now is it because that might be due to the child she’s possibly carrying (hormones bringing back her emotions, or even possibly the unborn child controlling her actions)?

Certainly more questions than answers.

Hei vs. Hazuki. Should be a kickass fight!

And yes, you can easily die by bleeding out if the femoral artery in either leg is severed. Something to consider if anyone wants to go shooting people in the leg just to stop them from running, heh. Movies often don’t work out like real life.

15. fumachu says:

**** SPOILER ALERT ****
    **** LONG MESSAGE ALERT ****
    The above message is there not because I know anything that will be coming up, but because some of what I am writing down (some speculative, some based on what has already transpired) may be perceived as such. With only the final chapter to go, it’s clear that the producers are not going to be using the time to connect all the dots or explicitly answers everything, particularly the smaller stuff. So here’s what I think we are already suppose to have understood of the story line (I am doing this for my own edification, as it help me out, and for those who could use some background commentary. For those who enjoy looking back only after the entire story is told, please stop reading!):

1) The Power Struggle background- Starting with Season 1, there have always been several political/military factions trying to control things, including the Syndicate, CIA, MI-5, etc. In Season 2, the Russians (through the Colonel) were also added to the game. As of right now, however, only Section 3 and the CIA are left. The former were the keeper/user of Yin/Inazami and the new owner to the doll system. The Russians, unknown to them, were the ones who had Inazagi (Shion), as they were the ones sponsoring the Doctor/Father’s work. His work was on the ME machine, something able to “create”/harness contractor power. Looking back, Shion was really the one who had that power. The CIA are the new kids in the block, who have been working covertly (they are the CIA, after all) trying obtain both Inazagi and Inazami for themselves. As such, they are the ones (through contracting Hei, the blonde, etc.) who initiate the action in Season 2 and go to Siberia to try to steal Shion.

2) The Myth thread; Shion/Inazagi – It’s now explained that the war at Heaven’s gate was a result of the myth of Inazagi/Inazami, and everyone going after this mythical power to change the world (as told by the Mitaka documents) or control/create/eliminate the contractors’ powers. Hei “lost” his sister in that war, which led to his quest in Season 1 to seek her out. At some point in that war, we “inherited” his Sister’s powers (or a small portion of it), and became the key for unlocking Hell’s gate, which he then refuses to do. In Season 2, by getting zapped by the Section 3 machine (harnessed through Yin’s power to destroy contractors). He is “saved” from death by Suou’s amulet, but in the process loses his power. What the amulet does is still a mystery, but one which will likely be answered in the final chapter. So Shion’s power is to create beings/contractors, which was further enhanced two years before Season 2 started, when a meteor crashed somehow increased his power and he became Inazagi (creator).

3) The Myth – Inazami: This part of the myth is significantly more muddled. How did Yin become Inazami, I would guess, will not be answered in this final chapter, but in the OVA, which tells the story of what happen to Hei/Yin during the “lost years” between Season 1 and 2. (By now people already know that Season 2 was not really about Hei/Yin, but about Suou’s arc). If I were to guess, Yin is carrying Hei’s baby (as many speculated), and that is how she became Inazami. I would go further and speculate that she “inherited” the power that originally belonged to Hei’s sister and was passed down to her through Hei (who inherited from her sister before she disappeared in the Heaven’s gate war). Hei’s sister was the most powerful contractor, whose power was to destroy contractors, which is Inazami’s power. That would be one way to make this all tie up. It also explains why Hei wanted (and perhaps still want) to “destroy” Yin, and started Season 2 as a drunk, cold killer, as he was the one who felt responsible for Yin’s transformation to what she is now.

3) The blonde (and her twins) – Perhaps the most underdeveloped, but key character in Season 2. Her role in the plot is that of a manipulator, the puppet mistress, if you will. My guess is that she was ex-Syndicate (alluded by the fact that she has a former romantic tryst with Mao/Ricardo/Momongo). In the Syndicate, she was probably much like Huang, a human manager of contractors for the syndicate (perhaps Mao’s former handler?). In Season 2, she is a “free-agent” who works at times for the CIA, but who has her own agenda. Her “power” is derived from the twins who, perhaps because they are two of them, have the ability to infiltrate into the “doll” network and obtain information on everyone and everything. She clearly has her own agenda, which is still a bit of a mystery. In this chapter, she cuts ties with the CIA (they call her cell phone before she gets rid of it), who are now trying to rid of her. She wants Shion and also Suou for herself, and used Hei, Kisaki, and Suou (through July) to force what is about to happen.

4) CIA – Not much to say here, other than they are one of the antagonists in this story, albeit they don’t show up that much other than to create havoc and kill (in Siberia and now in Tokyo). It’s likely that they were the ones who killed Hazuki’s lover, to obtain information on the whereabouts of Inazami. It’s also likely that they got wind of her kidnap through the blonde puppet mistress.

5) Section 3 – The other antagonists. A few things to fill in here. Golem (the contractor buddying up to Kisaki) is likely a double-agent working for the CIA. I am speculating this from the fact that he is trying to find out more than what is told to him and seems chummy with the CIA, when they descended upon the dead body of the doctor, as he was stopped from mutilating the doc’s dead body by the CIA operative. He is intent of getting Shion, not for Section 3, but for the CIA. Hazuki, the girl-loving sword wielding contractor working for Section 3, was manipulated to the airport by Hei (or the blonde) to meet with her grandfather. This provided an opening for Hei to kidnap her lover and obtain the whereabouts for Yin. Kisaki somehow finds out about this plot, when she herself tries to find out a way to get information on Yin’s whereabouts (not sure exactly how she got that information by looking in her computer.) As for the doll system under control by Section 3, it looks like it is how the Puppet Mistress infiltrates into Section 3. She is able to intercept info as well as it down at times, through the twins.

4) Kisaki – Like Season 1, Kisaki really is nothing more than a foil character. She represents the human who is lost and manipulated by everyone. She is the character that least changed from Season 1, and for a good reason. She represents us, the viewer. Through her, we get to go along in this crazy ride, amazed at all the plots, power struggles and twists and turns. She is there to provide us a reference point and, to a lesser extent, as the bumbling, after-the-fact, investigator. The only problem is that the writers have been having a hard time keeping her in the series, creating many hard-to-believe coincidences to have her tag along with the action. A bit of a weak point, but, nonetheless, an essential character to provide contrast and explanations to things.

5) Hei-Yin – Not much will be answered about them here of what happened to them after the Hell’s gate incident. If we are fortunate, we will know what their “end” will be, but their story leading to this season is likely going to be told elsewhere (OVA is my guess).

6) Suou – The true protagonist and the most interesting character. If you had expectations of Hei and Yin carrying the show, then you are probably pretty disappointed right now. If you, OTOH, got interested in Suou, then this series was probably much more compelling to you. You can tell which one you are just by measuring the level of interest you have on Suou’s fate in the upcoming final chapter. If it’s cursory, then you will likely judge this as a “blah” series (or even awful). If that is pretty critical to you, then this series likely was enjoyable. I am of the latter, as I found the character to be quite creative. You have a non-japanese/not foreign, not-contractor/not-human, not girl/not adult, not even real!, who is trying to figure out how she fits in this whole scheme. That, to me, is quite a departure from many other shows. I don’t have a clue what she will end up, but I am very eager to find out. That puts me squarely on the side that got “hooked”.

I don’t know if this is all right, but I hope that this helps those who needed some “connect the dots” info. It did help me to jot it down…

16. tzuge says:

btw… why is Shion considered to be Izanagi again? For some reason i think it’s going to turn out to be Suon who is important, because of her(?) origins. Did anyone else get the impression that Shion might have created Suon out of something that came out of the meteor strike?

17. Raika says:

I just had another idea. Maybe who we thought was Yin all this time manifesting herself through observation ghosts is Hei and Yin’s unborn child, and not Yin herself. Who knows? We’re almost at the end of the series and it seems like they’ll have to cram in a lot to answer all these questions.

As for Shion being Izanagi, according to the legend Izanagi is a bringer of life while Izanami is a bringer of death (he vowed to create 1500 lives for every 1000 Izanami would take). Given Shion’s ability to make copies, even of living human beings, it makes sense to connect him to Izanagi. But again, it could very well be Suou and not Shion fated to bring disaster if she ever meets Izanami/Yin.

18. UmbrellaMan says:

Question. The police said that the only way to keep Izanami and Izanagi from their fateful reunion was to kill Izanagi. Why didn’t they just kill Izanami, whom they had/have in their possession instead? You can’t have them meeting if one of them is dead. I smell a minor flaw in logic there…

Besides that, this episode was pretty good. It was definitely a build up for the finale. Here’s hoping it will be a decent conclusion. I liked the fact that Mao slept with the crazy blonde chick. lol.

19. Pi says:

Ha ha! Props to you fumachu; that was an awesome post (despite the odd numbering)! Loved it! Thank you for the information.

Now that I think about it, Golem was indeed pretty chummy with the CIA. I guess Golem being a double-agent would support the reason why he’s been trying to fish around for some information from Misaki.

I sense many plot holes to come in the last episode, so I’m pretty happy to see that there’s a possibility of a third season. I highly doubt an OVA and an episode would cover the essential/main plot holes but needless to say, I really want a third season.

With fumachu’s insightful post, I also see the reason why Suou is the new main focus of the series. If the myth of Izanami and Izanagi the main focus of the story/the gates/the outcome of the gates, we can assume that the producers tried to separate the myths into two sections:

1. focus on Izanami in the first season: Hei being the key element that changed Yin’s life. In order to see the changes in Yin, the audience had to get familiar with the person who changed her life–which is Hei, the main protagonist in the first season.

and

2.focus on Izanagi on the second: Suou being the key element that changed Shion’s life. While Shion had the ability to create life/harness contractor powers, Suou was the one that really changed his life. Without her appearance, Shion would have never been able to grant her powers and ‘create’ a copy of her.

And I guess this is also how Hei can relate to Suou so much and tried to help her. They were both seeking for someone really important (whom happened to be both Izanami and Izanagi) in their life but they were both originally not contractors and were granted with those powers. It could be Hei and Suou the ones who are going to create the disaster (even though it was told that Izanami’s and Izanagi’s reunion would be a disastrous thing)?

20. Pi says:

@Umbrellaman,

I think the myth can also explain your question. I’m going to quote this from Raika’s post: “the vowed to create 1500 lives for every 1000 Izanami would take.” From what I remember, humans have been trying to get rid of contractors. While many of them tried to use them as weapons, they were originally considered as unwelcomed aliens. So if they kill Izanagi, and leave Izanami off on a contractor killing spree, it would resolve the root of their problem and achieve their goal effortlessly.(No more contractors! Woo hoo! Not)

Of course, it could be a minor flaw like you’ve mentioned. I still don’t understand how Hei managed to save Suou and July (and Mao) when they were kidnapped by a Russian contraction…

and not to mention how Golem managed to survive that bullet(of course it was explained in earlier post how he managed to survive but it’s iffy), I mean… do you remember how Tanya was killed? Shion shot her from a pretty long distance and look at the impact! Half of her stomach was blown off. While Mr. Golem was covered in rock, I would assume the impact would be bigger since Suou shot him in a closer range.

21. PL says:

Before she shot him, she said, “It’s not like it’s going to kill you, right?” or something to that effect, so there was something about his powers or something we just don’t get.

22. Reltair says:

It feels like the last episode is going to either be really rushed or things will be felt unresolved.

23. Snowolf says:

I just saw the last episode, and though it wasn’t subbed or anything…um….yeah. it was WAY rushed. i mean, like a WTF episode. so be prepared.

Customize
I am suprised SEGA didn't announce an Sonic movie and went with games like Altered Beast and Crazy Taxi, they probably could have just ripped off one story from the Archie Sonic comics and make an movie based on that, preferably the story where Sonic travels in the multiverse to fight an super powerful Sigma alongside Classic Megaman and Megaman X,Steet Fighter cast,Breath of Fire 3 cast and more
@Anon, A parody Grindhouse film actually could work. I consider Overkill the best of House of the dead. Thing is there actually is already a house of the dead movie so this would be their second attempt. The first attempt...lets just say it didn't work out.
And House Of The Dead: Overkill is probably the best game in the franchise to adapt, i mean, it has Isaac Washington in it and dude's awesome.
None of those games have much of a story, but at least House Of The Dead could make for an entertaining silly movie, i mean House Of The Dead: Overkill is freaking awesome and has silly cutscenes at the start and end of every level.
At most moonbeam city seems sylistically interesting.
Archer I simply lost track of and it ended up getting to long to catch up on it.
Relatively old news, although I've been joking with friends about what if scenarios for a streets of rage film. I know there is a cg/live action hybrid sonic film in the works. I kind of want to think a shinobi or streets of rage film could work if they went full on 70s style action film.
None of these games are played for the story. You would be better off just making a new game for them instead of a movie.
I haven't even seen Archer. On another note SEGA is planning a bunch of live action movies of their franchises and boy do they all sound like a horrible idea. Shinobi, Golden Axe, Virtua Fighter, The House of the Dead, Crazy Taxi, Streets of rage and Altered Beast.
@Anon522497: hmm, I found Moonbeam City underwhelmed and for Archer up until their last season I actually got a bit tired of the cast (couldn't finish that season 7)
If i wanted Archer i would just watch Archer or Moonbeam City like everyone else.
Bloodivores
Anyone here watching Pacific Heat? It's an Aussie Archer-ripoff aired in Netflix last week. I actually enjoyed the 1st episode, not that great but everyone panned it like a plague.
@Anon, Who?
#StephanieJaworowiczIsBeautiful
@Mario: That'd be the compiliation film. I watched that based on hearing that the film version trimmed back on the shows weaker moments.
@Kaiser: was it the compilation film or the series itself? That scene is the highlight of that first season. I'm always a fan of KyoAni so it's very natural that I enjoy this series a whole lot.
I watched the first season of sound euphonium, not much to say for it other than I liked the teacher guy and the scene where the black haired girl tells the main character that she thinks shes hiding behind a mask. Animation was as expected of kyoani good. All of those emotion shots though and some of the melodrama...
@Kaiser, it does stop if you make an account.
Hmmm there we go again, it delayed sending my message for longer than it should have.
Anyone notice today and last night that the site has had some loading issues? I kept getting an error page for a while and it was also loading a bit more slowly. A server issue?
Have to say, Flip Flappers ep 5 was pretty good. I love atmospheric settings like that.
Looks like an Epee. The large bell guard, the fact that they are focusing on thrusting attacks instead of slashing (mostly). Fencing is alot of fun. Be prepared for some bruises though, as some people put their full body weight behind their thrusts.
I have one last dumb question, Can you tell what types of blade of Juri in Utena? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGsVSSUv_i0
@Lenlo: the more you described the more I found fencing interesting. I might take a look around my town to see if we have Fencing here (the curse of living in a small town).
Blades are slightly different, yes, but mostly just in their guard and how much they bend. Sabers bend easily, Epee's not so much. Surprisingly Epee is the slowest, because people tend to be more careful. Saber is actually the most aggressive of the blades, atleast at my skill level
That's all they had to do. Just stay inside and let it pass. But for some weird reason they just keep panicking over nothing.
As far as time/alternate world stuff goes this was ridiculously underwhelming. Just finished another movie called triangle and now that's how you do Time travel mindfuckery.
@Mario, I am not fond of movies where people make stupid decisions for no good reason. For example:
"We should just stay inside"
"No, staying inside isn't realistic"
WHY IN THE HOLY HELL ISN'T IT REALISTIC.
Showed that movie to a bunch of friends last year and I remembered one of the girl just shut off the movie after 15'
@Aidan: too bad. I found Cohenrent really funny and entertaining. Some of their twists are stupid but I was actually invested in much of their characters. Maybe because I always love movies about a bunch of characters in an isolated setting
@Lenlo: sounds like Epee is the most "all-out-attack" and aggressive one. Their blades are different as well I assume?
Just watched a movie called coherence and man, what a bunch a pseudo-intellectual garbage that was.
For Right of Way, its basically Person A attacks, Person B parries, Person A hits, Person B hits, Person B gets the point because they took right of way with the parry. Saber and Foil both have that, but Epee does not. Epee is simply "Whoever hits the opponent first, doesnt matter where, whole body is target area"
Theres Saber, Foil and Epee. The main difference is this thing called right of way, but there are other smaller ones like how Saber can hit with the edge and Epee is allowed to hit the entire body, instead of just the chest like Foil
For news, Blood Blockade Battlefront getting second season next year. As it was one of my favorite last year I'm really lokking forward to this second season
@Lenlo: that sounds great. From what I know from fencing there are 3 different types of blade right? So what are the differences between them? (Fencing 101 here)
Although a fantasy sports thing could also generate interest, such as combining sports together to create something totally new.
@SuperMario, Fencing was great. Favorite sport ever and it helped me stay in shape in College. I find Epee to be the best blade, mostly cause I fenced it, but its a very intense 3 minutes. Unlike sports like Soccer and such which is alot of sustained running, Fencing is 3 minutes of Dont-Stop-Moving then wait till next match. Gets really fun once you figure out your own style.
haha, I wouldn't mind either if each episode focus on a single sport/ character/ country. Or even the positive aspects like role models, sports inspirations and stuffs
That Olympic anime sounds great.
And it would be a good excuse to have characters of multiple backgrounds included too.
Could be an 13 episode ova series with 48 minute episodes, and if its to be an ensemble character drama you could have 10 minutes to a each character (the ones being focused on in that episode) in each episode.
Ah yes, aswell as cheating it could also get into "stage parenting", "abuse", "Disabilities" and also the general politics of sports, the backroom stuff.
I'll be the first in line if that olympic anime ever come out. Could be interesting to see the interactions between athletes in different sports, and then fans/athletes/coaches relationship, then the gold rush, doping... So much to talk around to
I don't think theres ever been a manga about hurling either. Hey heres an idea, someone do an ensemble drama anime that deals with the olympics, fit in multiple sports that way.
Personally I find Australian football much more exciting than rugby. Or crickets.
@Kaiser: ha! Interesting that you mentioned Gaelic football, because in Aus we have AFL (Australian Football League), that really similars to Gealic Football to the point sometimes we have the 2 national teams compete each other with modified rules
Hmm, lets see, sport under-represented in anime? Fencing, golf , Gaelic football, bowling, boat racing.
Hey, fencing is actually really cool. How did you like it Lenlo?
You have your point there Topgavin, as I clearly remember many instances where players' legs, backs or even necks got snapped during rugby's tackles. But in regards to Rugby I never really care about it. That and car racing
Its mostly the type of injuries you get that differ I think. Football you get concussions and broken bones and such, while in Rugby you probably get alot of bruises and cuts. Granted I have played neither, I was a Soccer man in highschool and fencing in College
American football has alot of rules, and really is just a bunch of millionaires running around chasing a ball. Rugby however, as Topgavin said, has no pads so when you get hit you get hit HARD
I never ceases to surprise me just how high and mighty visual novel fans can be over Mosaics present in localized games. I mean they are literally complaining about not seeing genitalia yet the way they phrase it, it's like they are fighting against great injustice. If these VNs were Nukige they might have a point but in most cases the sex scenes in question are pointless and shoehorned in.
@Mario Rugby is more extreme *because* it has no protective gear. No hiding behind helmets and cushioned shoulder pads when ya get bowled over.
@Lenlo: I'm no expert but isn't American football a variation of Rugby? And I believe american football is more extreme, considering they have to wear helmets, protection gears and all that
I dont think theres alot of manga about it because its simply not that popular outside the US. As far as it being a battlefield, eeeeh? Not really? You want a battlefield watch Rugby.
I can think of other cool sports that could be interesting to see in anime: Kick Volleyball (Sepak takraw), Bossaball (combined soccer, volleyball in a trampoline), or in the same vein of skate figures this season, why not pole dancing competition???
What other sport is cool and popular that remains original to write about by now? There isn't a lot of manga about it compared to anything else.
American football looks like a battlefield with a visible battleline and everything. Id like it if there wasnt so many darn commercials.
I mean, its a sport. Far cry from best, but its definitely a sport.
@Vonter: or maybe because american football IS the best sports ever?
@Vonter: Most likely due to the middle section of the original anime being the most popular bit.
Can someone explain me how Cobra, is apparently getting an anime around some sort of space american football? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54kNWPr43zE
@Mario: Its not safe enough a film for me to properly recommend. Even to exploitation fans, they might find it too slow others would be too sensitive to it. Really una vita violenca, mamma roma, accatone, hawks and sparrows are what Pasolini is really about.
Now that you watched Salo, would you recommend the film to other people? I personally think it's a masterpiece but it's one of the title that I think people would break up with me if I show them this movie
@Kaiser: even him as a director, both Braveheart and Apocalypto don't do much to me, will see if Hacksaw Ridge going to change my mind (but I'm not to fond with war movies in general). La Notte is in my sooon-to-watch list for years, haha
@Mario: Mel Gibson as a director, not as an actor =)
@Mario: Thats why I prefer the neo-realist/quasi-neo-realism stuff as it deals with the worse off in society. But Antonioni was the master of being able to do films about angsty well-off people, L'aventura, the passenger and La notte for example
@Mario: Its not so much that I dislike post 50s fellini moreso I feel that his throw everything at the screen and hope what sticks method can be hit or miss.
While I don't really mind his later stuffs because he was masterclass, I have a pretty hard time for Paolo Sorrentino's later works. The thing is I don't care much about the high class society so everything is just ridiculously over the top and glamour and I'm tired of it.
I haven't watched nights of cabiria but I did watch La Strada and boy, I was sad for few days after watching it. Fellini mentioned that he was inspired to make this movie when seeing a woman pushing a cart from behind. The film really carry that sense throughout its running
Michael Haneke put Salo in his top 10 films. Quite understandable when you think about it. Still for me one of the movie that affected me deeply.
I really admire Elle for its ability to maintain its sharpness because under other inexperienced directors it could easily becomes a mess. Mel Gibson, really? He's one of the few actors that I absolutely dislike
@Kaiser: The Red Turtle remains one of the the most refreshing time I had this year in cinema, but then again I haven't watched much films lately. Agree with you on Sonia's performance, and I still think they could cut out the first 20' of the film because it feels out of place compare to the rest of the film
Debating whether to bother catching up on I am a hero or watching the film adaptation. I haven't read it since they got rid of that one female character.
@Mario: I've a feeling you'll like nights of cabiria, Fellini was cranking out some solidly effective social-realist dramas in the 50s before he fell into self-indulgence.
Now I have that sound euphonium compilation film downloaded, I should get to that sometime.
@Mario: I also finally watched Salo, I ended up meeting it pretty much halfway. Some parts still retain the ability to effect a modern viewer, having seen his other works though its crazy just how different Salo is to them.
@Mario: Seeing I, daniel Blake tomorrow and rogue one in a few weeks.
@Mario: I hope Mel Gibson and Isabelle huppert win at the next oscars.
@Mario: I liked the red turtle for its visual style of storytelling and animation even if I didn't get as emotionally attached to it as others did. I also watched Aquarius nd was pretty much blown away by Sonia Braga's performance. Elle is now one of my favourite Verhoeven films and its a miracle he managed to maintain such a great balance successfully throughout the film.
I don't care for the sequel of Code Geass at all. Why Spice & Wolf still hasn't got season 3 though is what really bugged me. From what I know their manga and LNs are selling very well
I wonder why that is...
Ah, they were always milking code geass though what with those bajillion-million-billion manga spinoffs.
Still say I was more fond of the character chemistry in spice and wolf as opposed to everything else.
I'll likely pass on the code geass sequel, the memory I have of it has already led to its appeal dimishing for me, I don't want to ruin things further watching an un-neccesary followup. Still avoiding utawerumono's second season for same reasons.
After all there are things which need sequels and things which don't. And Code Geass never needed a sequel after R2's ending. Giving something a sequel can just ruin the conculsion of the orignal series. Case in point. Eureka Seven Ao. Remember that? Cause you shouldn't. Because it was terrible.
Honestly I would have preferred Spice and Wolf Season 3.
So...is anyone gonna mention that Code Geass is getting a sequel?
....Because Code Geass is getting a sequel.
@Anon, I am watching it as well. But I am a bit behind because I am watching the funimation broadcast dub. It's a very good guilty pleasure. I don't find it quite as funny anymore but it's still pure dumb fun.
@Anon487524: I'm still following it and it still remains a fun show to watch. I love the way they do the fan-servicey completely straight.
@anon I'll admit to watching it. While it is very simple and follows the sport anime formula religiously, it's still a blast to watch every week. This is also helped because you have no expectations for it before watching other than "oh god what's gonna happen this week".
Granted, nothing special, just one of those anime whose only worth is being fun to watch without being deep, but Keijo really is fun to watch, easily the best guilty pleasure anime in a long while to me.
I started watching it expecting an crappy fanservice anime with nothing of worth, but it ended up being actually pretty fun and awesome to watch.
Anyone here seeing Keijo?
What's up with 3-gatsu no Lion? Delayed for a week huh?
Checked out Hedeki anno's godzilla re-boot earlier out of curiousity, its a bit plodding/dull at times but sometimes its high camp value played straight is kind of funny, having godzilla evolve during the film was a cool touch and I enjoyed every scene with him and making a Godzilla film today is still very relevant. Not a patch on the old ones though.
I think that movie was just so terrible that people made it into a meme. Stuff like "The Entire Bee Movie Except Evey Time They Say 'Bee' The Movie Speeds Up"
I'm sorry lmao I had to, it seemed so appropriate a moment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1GadTfGFvU
Fun Fact: The whole Bees shouldn't be able to fly thing is a myth.
Badesh
I think that was just a dry realization...
@Topgavin, It's a meme to post the entire script of the bee movie in random places?
....I don't get the joke.
For anyone wondering, I think anon just copy/pasted the entire script for the Bee movie. Memes are goin strong
According to all known laws
of aviation,

there is no way a bee
should be able to fly.

Its wings are too small to get
its fat little body off the ground.

The bee, of course, flies anyway

because bees don't care
what humans think is impossible.

Yellow, black. Yellow, black.
Yellow, black. Yellow, black.

Ooh, black and yellow!
Let's shake it up a little.

Barry! Breakfast i
Actually I think it was up to about episode ten or so I saw.
From what I can recall I watched legend of the galactic heroes somewhere past the part with the Caligula guy.
That is one thing I wonder about the remake. How are they going to make the space battles interesting? Cause for me theres only so many times you can watch tin boxes shoot lasers and explode.
I didn't like LOGH until the third episode. That's when it started to catch my attention. It also helps that I have a interest in history as the plot of LOGH practically reads like genuine history.
In my case the overhype didn't kill it for me as I generally try to avoid that. When I walked into LOGH I was under the impression that it would ahve merit but not be for me. After all I heard it was mostly politics and the politics of Gundam bore me to tears. Funny enough the opposite happened. The space battles bored me but the politics got me really interested.
@Leahcimali, The problem is that the people who say that something is the best thing they ever seen don't actually mean it. Often it's just hyperbole. When talking we other people fans tend to blow certain things out of proportion unintentionally. Overrated is likely the wrong word but you get what I mean.
leahcimali
@AidankAK47 oh and are you going to write a review about it or because psngel already wrote a review of it you are not gonna write it ?
leahcimali
the problem is trying to rank art . Even comparing a comedy show and a story focus show is clearly impossible. @AidanAK47 do you think the overhype of some hardcore logh fan killed you enjoyment of the show ? Because sometimes when you expect nothing of something you can enjoy it more than when waiting for something incredible.
leahcimali
i hear the same thing from fan of lord of the ring, star wars and game of thrones, star trek ... etc. The hardcore fan of those says that they are the greatest things in history ... but saying there are overated is discrediting the quality of those. Nothing is perfect and again maintening equal quality in a longuer running show is impossible. But having a longer story create a more rich background
LookingForKeys
@Mario Kimi no Na ha is pretty damn good. Watched it while in Japan a couple weeks back. The story has well done surprises, and on the graphics side you can *really* see Production IG worked on it.
leahcimali
I don't think saying logh is overated is a good way to say it. All media with great aclaimed critics or even highly popular show suffer from the fan reaction. If fan claim that it is the best things that they have ever saw and you don't agree, it feels overated. But this is only pure subjectivity. Saying he is greastest thing in history is a way for fan to exprim there love
However it has been placed on a unreasonable pedestal that nothing could live up to. Eva is sort of in the same boat. So yes it is overrated but that does not mean it isn't great.
@Leahcimali, if anything is claimed to be the greatest thing in the history of mankind it is overrated. The basic idea that there is a single anime out there which is fundamental and universally better than all other anime regardless of genre or intent is inherently a flawed concept. I do certainly see why LOGH is so highly acclaimed and I believe it is well worth watching.
@Anon, I didn't look into the details of the new LOGH remake. I was planning on doing that when I am doing an anime season preview for it whenever it's going to air next year. For a long anime it does rate highly but even then I am not certain it really needed all 110 of those episodes.
leahcimali
about your comment are you thinking the LOGH anime is overated ? i ask Because you said that there is plenty of anime you consided better .
about the remake won't it be a straight adaptation from the manga remake by the artist that made shiki ?
AidanAK47 personally i really loved legend of the galactic heroes and it is one of the anime that make one of the biggest impact on me. I found it the best "long" anime that i ever seen (more than 24 ep). But comparing it to anime with shorter format is a bit hard. you can make something that have perfect pacing in 1h30 but it is impossible with a 110 ep anime.
Either way I am pretty certain that all other isn't crap to me now seeing as I have seen the so called pinnacle. In fact There are plenty of anime I consider better that LOGH.
There are aspects of its story which wouldn't really work by today's standards.
And I did it. I watched legend of the galactic heroes. I have slain the white whale of anime. It certainly was interesting to say the least but I think the remake coming is going to have trouble. I am in between giving it a 8 or a 9 but it's clear that LOGH is very much a product of its time.
I didn't really care for this weeks flipflappers, the fanservice and also it was even more trigger than I could take.
@Gavin@Mario: I'll get round to your name someday but I think this might be my last chance with shinkai.
@Aidan: That disgaea review made me nostalgic because I remember my friends and I playing it back when it first came out. We found it difficult but were amused by it/liked the characters.
@Aidan: Are the manga posts exclusively for series with only a few chapters translated or series that came out in the past year or so? I've been reading gunka no balthazar and enjoying it enough and think it should get recommendation out there.
Just booked tickets to go see it on Sunday with my little sister. Was surprisingly reluctant but I know she'll like it, I've already seen it but pumped either way.
Your name movie has been showed theatrically here in Aus, I'm planning to rewatch it soon in theatre and then do a review on it. Is that alright with other admins?
so I guess the top 6 will advance to the final are: Otabek Altin (Kazakhstan), Giacometti (Switzerland), Yuri, Yurio, JJ and Phichit? Will be very cool final event haha
At the very least Yuri on Ice shows me how entertaining ice skating can be
@K-Off: have a good trip ahead K-Off. Well, it's still better than Japan (earthquake) I guess
Well, heading to Korea tomorrow. What a time to go. In the middle of Korea's biggest financial scandal since the 80s.
Is it just me, or does the Yuri on Ice opening get more colorful and detailed every week?
Badesh, if you like to check out their other songs, give "Tunnels of Love" and "Romeo & Juliet" a listen. Though I just discovered Telegraph Road quite recently, those 2 songs are qmong my all time favorite
I prefer their ealier version when the band was still together (aLCHEMY 1983), but that Rome 2005 was magnificent too. Seriously with this band diifferent live versions feel like another experience... And that song is criminally under-heard in radio too, because of its running time. A crying shame
Badesh
uhh, found it in better quality. now, THAT is a fitting present for my dad :)
Badesh
well that commentator, that sounds like he's in a soccer match, will get on my nerves though...
Badesh
if you're talking about the rome 2005 version... hell, that's some sweet music. i'll inhale that for the rest of the evening, thanks for that
Anyone here listen to Dire Straits? I just in the mood for their music lately. Checked out the band playing Telegraph Road live the other day on youtube and I was completely stunned.
@Lenlo: I considered Flip Flappers 3,5,6 to be its best so far so continue on to see if Flip Flappers is your cup of tea or not
For me I have a lot of stuffs to catch up on this time a year, both in terms of anime and in my RL. Time goes fast as hell
Started watching Flip Flappers. Thought I had it figured out, then we got Mad Max going on. I may start liking it more, cause the first 2 eps didnt do much
Its also nearing Thanksgiving in the states and end of semester for University, so those sorts will be busier than usual.
You are far too young to be reminiscing. You can build a place for a community but you can't force one to come. I for one would think it would be easier to form one if people stopped using the Anon tag. You can change your name with the customize button you know.
I remember a time when people other than site admins were regular posters. Those were the days...

occulticnine-09-4

Occultic;Nine – 09[Future Days]

The presentation of Occultic;Nine is starting to remind me of speed Racer, an anime from a bygone era which had a rather infamous dub. Basically due to the literal translation, the way which Japanese can say more with less words and the speed of dialogue it required the dub actors to say a large amount […]

mahou-shoujo-ikusei-keikaku-10-2

Magical Girl Raising Project – 10[Super-Hot! Back-to-Back Battle Events!]

I am really starting to dislike how this show is killing off the characters I grow remotely interested in while leaving only the dullest characters to carry the show. Don’t take that to mean I cared about the remaining twin angel that got killed off because her death was pretty deserved. But this cements the […]

drifters-09-3

Drifters – 09[Serious Bomber]

Drifters is at it’s best when the Orte are getting trounced and they are certainly getting a beating here. I could complain over how the Orte are one dimensional villains but after the master race bull and the concentration camp here they are quite literally Nazi’s at this point. Nazi’s are the one type of […]

3-gatsu ni Lion 08

3-gatsu no Lion – 08 [Image – Distant Thunder part 1]

We’re back with 3-gatsu no Lion after a week hiatus from sick leave (I know everyone got sick last week, be it in springtime in this corner of the world, or the start of winter elsewhere) and I’m glad that the show returns in good form. Kyouko might be the most distinctive character the show […]

Flip Flappers 09

Flip Flappers – 09 [Pure Mute]

Again this week, Yayaka takes up the stage and by the end of this episode her arc is basically over, now that she is abandoned by the Cult and is taken over by Cocona and Papika. But what an emotional ride this episode delivers. I’m particularly taken not only by the action and consequence she […]

occulticnine-08-4

Occultic;Nine – 07-08[Happiness is a Warm Gun]

By episode sevens end it did confirm that indeed, the majority of the cast is dead which brings up a whole host of problems. For you see while this twist may seem like a interesting left turn, it only really works if you consider the time a character is shown on screen the only time […]

Sound Eupho 2 - 09

Sound! Euphonium 2 – 09 [Sound! Euphonium]

Two-third of this Fall season have passed and usually this is the time for our shows to reach to their full potential. Sound Eupho, comfortably delivers one of its best episode of this second season. As you can probably tell by the self-titled nature of this episode, our Eupho players are given as the centerpiece […]

mahou-shoujo-ikusei-keikaku-09-3

Magical Girl Raising Project – 09[Notice of New Rules]

Calamity Mary dying was pretty expected and the death that followed was equally something that was bound to happen. Though having a third death was not quite what I expected. Considering the small line in one of the halfway blurbs about Nana having some other intentions I thought she might have more to her than […]

drifters-08-1

Drifters – 08[Mystery Call Me]

It looks to be a trend of drifters to follow a high action episode with a cooling down period. Though it does leave me with little to comment on. Scipio meeting Kanno and neither being able to understand each other lead to what may be one of the few jokes that actually hit with this […]

Strange Frame 00

Strange Frame – Love & Sax (2012) Movie Review – 76/100

Thunderbolt Fantasy 05c

Thunderbolt Fantasy Review – 84/100

Orange - 01 2

orange Review – 73/100

What would you do if you receive letters from your future-self saying that you can change your future? That’s exactly what Naho experienced as she obtains ones from herself 10 years later that urge her to look after her new friend and prevent him from committing suicide. The premise, I agree, is hardly anything groundbreaking, […]

91 Days - 07 4

91 Days Review – 68/100

When taking up the job of checking out every anime season you really can starve for something different. Variety is the spice of life and yet the entertainment industry seems determined to give us more of the same. So in the sea of average high school students gaining superpowers and harems I see an anime […]

Mob Psycho 100 - 03 3

Mob Psycho 100 Review – 80/100

After the explosive popularity of One Punch Man it really was a high bar that another work of the author ONE had to reach. While it didn’t quite manage that it still differentiated itself enough to allow it to be a worthy anime of it’s own right. But admittedly that will depend on whether this […]

[HorribleSubs] Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 18 [480p].mkv_002253.373