Posted by psgels on 23 December 2009 with categories: Kimi ni Todoke

This episode was… tedious to sit through. It was basically just Kurumi trying to get a love triangle started, which is probably going to be worthless in the next episode when everyone realizes that it was just a misunderstanding. Agh, it’s like Itazura na Kiss all over, but without the funny parts.

Let me list a bunch of shoujo-series that actually did get the love triangle right (Minor spoilers included):
Bokura ga Ita: mainly worked because the love rival got fed up with the indecisiveness of the lead male, which was a huge theme of the series.
Kodomo no Omocha: worked because we actually see both the lead male and female go through other relationships with other people, while it’s actually the distance between them, created by the lead female’s job as an idol that prevents them from hooking up, rather than the ditzy love rivals being the sole reason.
Ashita no Nadja: we actually see the lead female hanging out with other guys without it suddenly creating a huge drama.

On top of that, we also have shoujo-series as Glass Mask, DNAngel and Full Moon wo Sagashite in which the romances work because of their realism and the way they let their relationships progress naturally. Not in the forced way that Kimi ni Todoke has been doing for the past twelve episodes…

I’m interested to see the other sides of the story, though. I’ve heard quite a few arguments why this show is popular, but those all seemed to come from the ones who didn’t like it. When I look at various blogs, all I see is squealing over various characters, but for the past months I’ve hardly seen any people who liked this show and came with valid reasons.

Sure, that might just been me, looking at the wrong places, but still: fans of Kimi ni Todoke, enlighten me! What makes this show so great that it deserves such a high score on various anime sites? What was so good about this series that everyone vote for it here? Or is this really just another Twillight which has tons of squealing fangirls who like it just because of the hot guys and sparkles?

Whether I’m going to drop this show at the start of the Winter-Season, I don’t know yet. Because Aoi Bungaku, Darker than Black, Erin, Konnichiwa Anne, Kuchuu Buranko, Umineko and White Album are going to be ending all within a week, this means that I need to find seven new bloggable shows among the line-up of the upcoming Winter-season. Which is a lot during such a small season. However, if number eight does pop up, then expect to see this show in the dropped-list.

Right now, this show is just… too convenient. Sawako doesn’t really have to work hard for her newfound popularity. She gets protected everywhere, and her exaggeratedly weird personality makes sure that all the bad guys’ plans go wrong. At first I praised this series because it showed outcasts as they try to live back into society, but that’s not even what this series is about. We’ve just got another Mary Sue here where the entire plot revolves around. Sure, Sawako has flaws, but all those flaws seem to be more and more used in favour of her, rather than creating her as a character.
Rating: — (Lacking)

1. Kim says:

I already dropped this series. I don’t think it’s bad just not good enough for me to keep watching.

As for the shoujo with the best love triangles try Princess Tutu (I know I have told you to watch this before). It’s not typical at all and works out wonderfully in the end.

Although not shoujo I also love how Rumiko Takahashi handles her love triangles in Maison Ikkoku. Which is one of the best anime/manga romcoms out there.

2. Matt says:

I like it because i really like the characters… I thought it was hilarious how ticked off Kurumi with her naitivity…

I will probably keep watching it, but this better be it for the love triangles… I can see them using the first one to set up the characters more, especially the friendships… I can understand this one because of the lasting love Kurumi has for him. But any more and i will probably drop it. But i enjoy the animation, the writing, and the characters… So, it will be a tough one for me to drop..

3. Acylia says:

What I’m actually more interested in now, in Kimi ni Todoke, is Sanada and Chizu, as I actually find them more interesting as characters… Kazehaya and Sawako are… cute, I guess. But I kind of got tired of them. I actually started watching KnT because it sort of brightened up my week. But there are definetly better shows out there.

But I do respect and understand why you feel like this about the series. The sparkles are way overdone. I’m probably going to keep watching, though. :) Thanks for blogging this far, anyway! ^^

4. Sarah says:

Compared to a lot of shoujo, Kimi Ni Todoke isn’t anything special but is defiantly a good series. I think some of it’s strong points is it’s ability to incorporate its side characters as well as take a slower and more simplistic approach to the story line.

Bokura Ga Ita for example, was a good series but often got over taken by too much angst and drama. Kimi Ni Todoke I agree isn’t a series to rave about but it’s entertaining that’s all I can say :)

5. lesterf1020 says:

I don’t know why you need someone to tell you why this is popular and I don’t know why you continue to blog this. You clearly don’t like it and none of its charms work on you. This isn’t your show. I don’t see a problem here.

You like many shows that most of the fan base and blogging community have no love for. Many people don’t understand how you can rate some of your shows so highly. So is it really a surprise that you might not get a show that lots of other people love?

Please drop this. It is looking like this is going to be a 24 ep series of more of the same. You are going to be cut and pasting your blog posts on this soon. If you were being witty and sarcastic and making fun of the show it might have been worth it but your slow death by befuddlement is just painful. Lots of others are blogging this so save your efforts for the good shows that few even know exist. I am enjoying your blogging on Kemono no Souja Erin.

6. theone says:

I have NO idea why guys watch shouju anime/read manga. . .whats so good about watching high school love bad visual cartoon dramas?

I love a lot of the Adult stuff that is out there (i.e aoi bunraku) I have no idea why there arent many of thoese shows that bloggers want to watch instead of the same old same old junk, random wimpy guy gets 5 girls around him, or love triangle with guys that either a)dont know how to get a girl or b)are soo horny AND stupid (its cool to be horny and smart) that the bang all the girls and cant be discreet about it (think school daze. . .i didnt watch it, I just read some blog posts here and there) with random obligatory panty shots, shower scenes, onsen scenes, more panty shots, guy seeing a girl naked by accident and blushing while she hits/yells at him, or *accidentally* falling on a girls giant tits or *accidentally* falling on top of a girl in a sexual position or vice versa. . .it sjust the same ol shitsakebap all over, wouldnt the blogosphere get tired of this? Or am I just too, old/manly/hetero??

Where the hell are all the adults blogging the nice mature adult shows? I swear the only blogger that blogs adult stuff is Psgels. . .and even then there are more shows on this site that should be replaced by more adult and mature type stuff, I wanna hear about more aoi bungakus, and kemono no erin, east of eden, guin sage type shows each season, much more than *panty shot harem heaven part 5000*

7. psgels psgels says:

theone: please, if there’s an adult show I missed this season, then let me know about them, because I’m looking for them as well. Also, the reason I watch shoujo is because of the good series in the genre. I’m not sure whether you’ve seen Ashita no Nadja, Glass Mask 2005 or Kodocha, but these shows really show how enjoyable this genre can be when done right.

lester: you have a good point, yeah. It’s not the worst show I’ve had to blog, but I’ve gotten tired of Kimi ni Todoke by now. My only question is whether or not something is going to show up in the next season that can replace it (eight good shows… that’s really going to be a close one).

8. Kanao says:

I agree with lester. You often prove that your tastes aren’t quite in-sync with ‘the norm’, loving shows that many find boring, so what is with all the complaining? If you hate it so much then please stop blogging it as you’ll only hurt other people’s enjoyment.

The reasons people like Kimi ni Todoke are relatively simple: it has charm, it’s sweet, the character interaction feels natural and makes you smile, Sawako’s progress somehow soothes some of life’s little frustrations and most importantly it’s entertaining. Entertainment value isn’t something you can explain well. A show can be a total train wreck and yet still remain very fun to watch each week (yes, most notably Code Geass R2). In a lot of ways I enjoy it for the exact same reasons as Cross Game.

Comparing KnT to Twilight with claims of “hot guys and sparkles” just because you don’t enjoy it is insulting and immature. KnT is popular among guys too, not just girls. Narrow-minded comments like that make me feel you should probably stop watching any shoujo anime. God knows that any other shoujo series has more than three guys (two of which do little but serve as comic relief). Also, I’m fairly sure girls aren’t obsessed with Twilight because of the sparkles, its just an element people make fun of because it happens to be pretty damn funny/stupid.

9. mds says:

yeah,I have pretty much same comment with Kanao about KnT.Compared to other shoujos full of reverse harem-ing,gender bender-ing,shounen-ai-ing,KnT is a rather refreshing one.It’s like enjoying shoujos like Fruits Basket/Shugo Chara (manga) for me (i’m a guy,and Furuba/Shugo Chara also has a lot of male fans..:) )

By the way,the next season’s preview sounded like it’ll be a dull one for you (full of ecchis and moeblobs…but I’m looking for OmaHima and soranowoto,by the way.It has only about 4-5 non moe/ecchi shows.) are you sure you’ll drop this?

Lastly..Cross Game has 39 episodes only.It’ll end in next episode,so you have 8 free slots..

10. m says:

The story of Kimi ni Todoke is intentionally upbeat. It’s an unrealistic tale of how teenage drama is worked out through mutual understanding. It makes no pretense at realism, and the mangaka basically beats you over the head with her motivations.

Still, I dropped the anime after a few episodes. Listening to Sawako talk was painful. I had to watch the first episode in pieces, because listening to her performance was so taxing. The manga is a quick read, so the absence of depth doesn’t bother me at all, and the uplifting nature of the story is sometimes just what you’re looking for. It’s like Chi’s Sweet Home in that I don’t want to watch twenty minutes of a kitten being cute, but watching a few episodes of Chi is pretty uplifting.

11. Kanao says:

“Lastly..Cross Game has 39 episodes only.”

Actually it’s continuing into next season so it’ll probably be around 50. Too many people seem to go by ANN’s list of episode titles – they only include the ones with official confirmation. ^^

“Sawako doesn’t really have to work hard for her newfound popularity.”

What? I watched the episode (just as great as usual by the way) and she isn’t ‘popular’. People are just noticing her a bit more as a human being now that they aren’t expected to avoid her. It’s not like classmates are inviting her to hang out, go to karaoke, shopping or anything. Can you really call someone popular just because a few people in class are willing to say ‘hello’? As usual, you’re determining flaws on your own.

“exaggeratedly weird personality”

She’s just incredibly honest and dense/innocent. Her personality isn’t that strange.

12. Kim says:

Cross Game is scheduled for 51 episodes

13. Maa says:

Personally I agree with the ones telling you to drop it. Not because I like it, but because that poll you held was obviously going to lead to you blogging a show like that since thats what the majority of anime/manga viewers seem enjoy, Romanace/School Life.

There hasn’t been one thing is this series that makes it anything above average and sure I guess the teen girls will love this stuff but it really isnt anything more than average.

I love this blog because most of the series you’ve rated high/reviwed, which many other bloggers failed to blog/review/, turned out to be absouletly amazing and greatly changed the type of animes I watch. This series just doesn’t fit in a blog of this caliber and belongs else where like RC.

14. Maa says:

I think your comparison with this to twilight was perfect. Sure it may just be another average story from a a genre thats largely overused, but they make it look good and sparkly, and it appeals to the masses. Sure there are guy fans to twilight too but what do you think the majority of the fans and what makes it so popular are, teenage females. Just like this anime, how the majoirty of female teens would prefer romance/school life.

15. tsotha says:

Same here, except for me it’s Chizu and Ayane. Whereas Sawako and Kazehaya are pretty one-dimensional, with Chizu and Ayane you get some richness and subtlety. They’re both really likable, the kind of friends you wish you had in high school. I would love to see a spin-off with these two characters going off to college or transferring schools.

The scene with Ayane and Kurumi sent chills up my spine – that could get interesting if they handle it well.

I can’t decide yet if Sanada is interesting in his own right or just as a love interest for Chizu. He didn’t really get much dialog until this episode.

16. Sapphire says:

“The reasons people like Kimi ni Todoke are relatively simple: it has charm, it’s sweet, the character interaction feels natural and makes you smile, Sawako’s progress somehow soothes some of life’s little frustrations and most importantly it’s entertaining.” – Kanao

I agree with this, entirely. Even though there are shoujo series way better than KnT, I think it does a nice job at being what it’s supposed to be: a sweet story between two innocent teenagers finding love for the first time. The fact that both Kazehaya and Sawako are clueless does make it a bit annoying sometimes, but it would be out of character for them to be forward.

Also I disagree when you say that their relationship is progressing in a forced way. Actually I think it couldn’t be more natural, since they’re slowly getting to know each other and their own feelings.

The only thing that’s bugging me about KnT is the fact that they’re taking too much time on something that could be dealt with in one/two episodes. I’ll keep watching it anyway though, since I’m curious to see how Kazehaya and Sawako’s relationship is going to evolve, as well as Ryu and Chizu’s.

Psgels, if you don’t want to blog KnT, don’t force yourself. I was one of the people who voted for it and I love to read your reviews, but I can’t say I’m enjoying the ones you write for KnT since they always feel like they were written as a chore.

17. Charlie says:

I think your retarded hahah
    everything you just said is completely inaccurate, Kurumi wasn’t trying to get a love triangle started, she was trying to stop one from getting started. She likes him and doesn’t want Sawako in the way. This is an amazing show with the best characters I’ve seen. I guess this show only appeals to people who can comprehend the depths of peoples emotions.
    Did you honestly just say DNangel has a more realistic take on romance than Kimi ni Todoke???? That is probably the funniest thing I’ve ever heard, I think you need to get out of the house a little more, cause guys flying down into your house and kissing you out of the blue typically doesn’t happen in real life hahahah.

18. Kanao says:

“since thats what the majority of anime/manga viewers seem enjoy, Romanace/School Life.”

No offense intended but damn you’re being delusional. If you had ever paid attention to the anime-fansub community you’d know that Kimi ni Todoke may just be the first romance shoujo anime to generate such mass-appeal among everyone, not just girls. This is pretty impressive when you consider that there appear to be many more guys than girls in this particular ‘community’. The ones with any interest in Japanese culture seem to be much more active in the live-action and manga communities. And they also seem to prefer livejournal to the ‘Anime Blogosphere’.

“I think your comparison with this to twilight was perfect.”

Once again someone who doesn’t have a clue what they’re talking about. Don’t respond unless you’ve watched these (protip – they prove just how bad Twilight is): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L253VLwH3w

19. Jessi says:

De-lurking to hopefully provide some insight into why people might like the show (and if not, I apologize in advance).

I watch the series weekly in a mixed-gender group (3 guys, 4 girls) and everyone is enjoying it. I think that perhaps the reasoning behind this is that, while much of the show feels very typical of the shoujo genre, it’s just slightly off from people’s expectations and those little elements of surprise seem to really engage the group.

Perhaps what I personally find most enjoyable is Sawako, since she’s such an atypical shoujo heroine. I can’t tell you how sick I am of female leads being either bimbos or tsunderekko. Sawako may be unrealistically naive, but she’s also earnest and sweet. Where your typical female lead would want to seek vengeance, Sawako genuinely just wants people to understand. She assumes the best in people and doesn’t expect them to manipulate her. I find that appealing about her.

The supporting characters are also engaging because, as my husband put it, they’re people that he would like to know and with whom he’d like to hang out. I especially like Yano and Yoshida, because they’re also misunderstood in their own way, judging by how easily rumors about them being a slut and a delinquent spread throughout the student body.

I also have to give some credit to the background artwork in this series which is just beautifully colored and feels warm. Our group often gets a giggle out of the copious shoujo bubbles, but I think that the use of those visual tropes coupled with the unusually high-quality visual elements sums up what gives the show its broad appeal; it embraces the typical aspects of the shoujo genre and also one-ups them in certain ways, making its characters a bit different and having them react to typical shoujo-genre situations in slightly different manners than one might expect.

But, if you don’t like it, you don’t like it, and there’s nothing wrong with that. I will echo the sentiment from some other commenters that it might be time to stop blogging the show, especially if it’s become a chore.

20. naixil says:

seriously, if you really don’t like it, why bother blogging just because your poll says it’s one of the top series to watch and blog in Fall?

stop antagonizing those of us who actually love the show for its simplicity.

because come on, it’s a high school setting. do you seriously think there’s so much backstabbing and hidden motives like adult series?

so really.

stop blogging this, and save all of us the agony.

21. PL says:

as one of those rare Western anime fans in their thirties, I can tell you that backstabbing and hidden motives were MUCH more common when I was in high school than they are in the adult world that most of us live in. While my relationships in high school were always complex things with daily betrayals and alliances taking place in a complex social milleiu by teenagers so otherwise unengaged they filled their time and directed their libidos at pointless coming-of-age rituals, seemingly inane group traditions and an otherwise disgusting game of social behavior that only a few could ever play really well. In the adult world, relationships have more depth, but people also tend to value honesty, loyalty and sincerity more, and one becomes judged not so much by how you are but by who you are. There is much less deciet, backstabbing, etc. A show about high school depicted innocently is what is unrealistic.

22. Glass says:

I believe I just watch it because it’s cheerful and cute and makes you feel better… yeah, some episodes were a drag to watch, but at some moments it feels like school all over again.

BTW, Kazehaya is finally getting some character development…

23. tsotha says:

Where did you go to high school? Where I come from high school girls are the most vicious, backstabbingist creatures on the face of the earth.

24. wtfblog says:

People like it because people like it

25. wtfblog says:

The very likely reason for liking (and yes I overuse like) this show is all the innocence it brings out. It shows how things really happen all without going into a casually perfect world but still keeping a degree of warmth to appeal to a wide range of audiences. I would say it’s very much a matter of personal taste and experiece. It surely does go with the moe anime idea, but it also doesn’t go into unhandled humor giving it an all around soft feeling. The relationship between the characters is very stereotypical , shy girl, indecisive boy and various agents like kurumi or sanada who serve purely for screenwriting purposes. Psgels probably already figured out the very logical outcome of the anime so he is not to blame. It would be intricate to not express what he , thinks in this situation but hey, its his blog :p

26. headachebaby says:

Kanao & Jessi: I agreed with your comments because they are my same thoughts.

I’m a girl and I love shoujo animes when it’s done right. So far, I enjoyed this anime because Sawako’s a irregular heroine. From her lack of socialization, she could be called a dull personality but what do you expect from someone who doesn’t socialize. Sawako is surprised at the acceptance she have received from fellow classmates. She also have trouble understanding Kurumi’s fake friendship but is excited to be noticed. Sawako is not your typical cute heroine and hey, I’d rather watch more dull characters like Sawako than the cute, annoying types. In fact, Sawako’s sweet and honest.

Aagh…I keep hearing about Bokura ga Ita and how it’s a better shoujo. I’ve watched it and there were moments I enjoyed but I couldn’t say I enjoyed it completely to go back and re-watch it. If I like the anime, I could go back and re-watch it, but this anime wasn’t one of them. The agonizing part was how the main guy and girl kept distancing themselves from their issues as a couple. Instead, they involved another guy and girl which made their issues more complicated. Sure, I agreed that the anime depicted real romances (love triangles) but how they kept dragging on their issues got too annoying. At times I was just agonizing how each of them couldn’t keep their heads straight. It’s like they knew how rocky their relationship was but instead of solving it together, they hung out with the other guy and girl and created more issues.

So, I quickly checked the other “better” shoujo-series recommended by PSGELS and all of them look annoying except for Glass Mask. I’ll check that one out.

The animation for Kimi ni Todoke is awesome and I like the music.

PSGELS, if this anime is completely dull to you and you’re agonizing to write about it weekly, then it’s only fair for you to drop it. But I always check your blog and like to get your views on the animes I’m currently watching (this being one of them). So I hope you don’t end up dropping it. ^_^

27. naxsis says:

I love this show! But why is a more difficult question than I thought…

The basis of the attraction for me is simply two things, one of which is that Sawako is such a gosh darn nice person. It is so refreshing to see a character that is so guileless and genuine that it makes me want to pull for her in every situation. The blushing, awkward romance between her and Kazehaya reminds me of high school (and post high school life sometimes) to a tee.

I suppose the other reason that I love this show is simply the social awkwardness of Sawako strikes a chord with my own social shortcomings. To see someone grow from a isolated existence to someone more integrated with her classmates makes me smile. Sawako’s trials and tribulations remind me in a positive way that people are for the most part genuinely good and that one doesn’t have to be awkward around others forever.

That being said, please don’t interpret this to mean that all fans of the show are shut-ins, unable to interact successfully with others. I’m sure everyone has had feelings of loneliness and social awkwardness and perhaps this shows resonates with those times. I do alright nowadays but there are times I can relate…

The characters may not have layers upon layers (at least what we’ve seen so far) and the plot may not twist but the show just is great. Love it or hate it, I’ll still watch it with a smile :)

28. legato29 says:

I like this show simply because it has a uncanny ability to evoke the tension, anxiety, and awkwardness of social interactions. This is, in part, achieved through its many subtle animations and dynamic facial expressions. The art style only enhances and furthers this effect. All in all, this feeling of tension and anxiety help to beautifully illustrate a young girl’s path toward social competence.

29. spoon says:

I like the post from legato29…..I don’t think this show is really about romance as much as it is about social acceptace and competance, i.e. i don’t think romance is supposed to be the main focus. That might be why the romance doesn’t seem that great to some people, it’s not the main point of the show, it’s just another element of Sawako becoming more socially accepted/assimilated, and THAT’s the main focus of the show and what the fans seem to really like.

I don’t know, this isn’t my absolute favorite series. But I tend not to agree with psgels on everything anyways (I absoultely love Cross Game – that and Tokyo Magnitude have been the only really enjoyable series for me for the past couple seasons, and I certanly don’t stick with most of the shows covered here)

But it’s nice to watch…and honestly, Chizu and Ayane are two of my favorite characters ever. They should get more screen time.

30. NguyenSon says:

I think I’m gonna disagree with lots of people here saying that you would do everyone a favour by dropping the serie. I always find it interesting to see differing point of views on any subjects. Should Pgels do only reviews that agree with your opinion? It’s by watching people debating a subject that you can have a more accurate idea about it.

I don’t understand all those people saying you are “hurting” them because you disagree with them, do you guys shun all the people that disagree with you? Should they only compliment you and agree with you? Or should they just keep quiet when they disagree? I doubt most of you would do that in real life and I see no reason why you should act in this way on the net. Moreover, if you don’t like reading his opinion, you can always choose not to read him.

I also need to point out that this post is only addressed to people like Charlie, Kanao, Naixil and the like. I don’t mind those who specifically addressed the reason why they liked the show, I found those opinion as interesting as Pgels’.

31. Kanao says:

NguyenSon: disagreeing with people and insulting them are very different things. Psgels complains about many episodes of Kimi ni Todoke and I’ve only chosen to comment this time; because he’s being offensive. He’s talking as though KnT viewers must be shallow fangirls simply because he doesn’t like the show. I’m a guy, as are most of my friends watching it.

My responses are to his childish contempt, not his complaints – although they too seem to consist of nitpicking and flaws that don’t exist rather than any logical arguments. I recommended he drop the show because disliking a show bad enough to fall this low means that he’s simply not in any position to provide an alternative perspective.

Of course, he said “fans of Kimi ni Todoke, enlighten me!” and yet he’s not even willing to respond to our explanations of why it’s good.

32. PL says:

So here is how you can make this show actually worth watching: Sawako is teased about looking like Sadako relentlessly, even Kazehaya’s kindness turns out to have been an elaborate prank, and Sawako loses it and starts murdering her classmate. Screaming,
    “You want Sadako, I’ll give you Sadako!” The rest of the season could be her mercilessly hunting down each and every one of her tormentors. Then this show might be worth continuing to watch. She is killed before finally killing Kazehaya. Next season, the murders start again, and the show could be called Kimi ni Todoke: Blood Sparkles in the Moonlight, and it turns out that Kazehaya has snapped and he’s the one murdering people now. Then, we find out that actually, Kazehaya wasn’t really in on the prank, that he was working with Sawako all along, and that as a kid he had a problem spelling and reading and got teased a lot too, and he transformed himself into someone popular just to make his revenge more satisfying.

33. Frost says:

What a disappointment this turned out to be… It keeps getting worse

Couldnt watch through this episode, so here is another dropped anime for Fall… I think he only anime Im still watching is Darker than Black, hurray!

Wtf? After the crap that was episodes 4-6, they still have to go and get yet another love triangle and misunderstanding started? I thought Kurumi wasnt gonna be your evil bitch antagonist, but I was wrong

This might have worked if it was the first anime I ever saw, but now its just a waste of my time

34. Kuni says:

You see what happens when you blog a twilight like series. You get commenter like the ones here trying their hardest to defend something that is just average and pretty much the exact same as many shoujo’s/romance that have been done before.
    TO you people taking offence, deal with it. Thats what a blog is about, bloggers stating how they feel, and obviously this show turned out to be crap, nothing above the average romance.
    And don’t spout this crap that its the first school life, romance, shoujo to appeal to all both female and males. There are plently of shoujo’s that have been very succesful without being the typical fake school life formula

35. Shinmaru says:

Personally, I agree with you. The show to me is best when it is easygoing and emphasizes the characters growing up together; the two big drama arcs have fallen really flat, I think. They’re just really clumsy — the only really enjoyable part has been the cracks in Kurumi’s armor. It’s funny when she has to force herself to keep up her golden image. All her other deviousness is just getting tiresome, though.

36. riddle says:

place a couple of shojou themed story lines out there, make it into an anime and WHAMP! girls would be squeling over it. like twilight, bloody stupid book, don’t even get me started on why i hate it. Kimi na todeke was spoiled by crappy anime story tellings and stupid male lead character. and why, why tell me why must the girl always fall in love with the stupid dull boy first AND why must there always be love traingles

37. Machi says:

While I’m certainly no fan of the series I would just like to point out that the whole “love triangle” aspect people keep complaining about is nothing more than a passing episode. If anything its just the series trying to go into the conventions of any high school romance, i.e. there needs to be a love triangle arc (much like how we have ecchi shows with the convention of hotspring/beach arcs).

While comparing it to Twilight may need better contextualizing, in this case its just the POPULARITY and yes DEPTH that could be akin to it but certainly not the other aspects especially its catering to young teen women.

Moving on I do disagree with the points raised by its fans/devils advocate. For one I fail to see how anyone could label the interactions of characters as “natural”. Case in point already is this episode to show just how “unnatural” or a better word would be fairy tale-esque interactions. Face it Kurumi and Sawako’s interractions are anything but natural, would anyone actually try to befriend their love rival who tried to sabotage them or even pursue talking to them to the point of confessing to them (I think not). Sure you can say its in her extremely sweet and innocent personality but thats exactly why I call it almost fairy tale-esque because such a personality is far too pure and exagerrated to be anything natural but definitely a shoe in for fantasies or fairy tales. Hell another case in point is how Sawako made friends with Chizu and Yano, seriously the way they suddenly made friends like that was definitely not natural nor are their interactions.

Now this is precisely why the charm that others are so enamored with fails, to connect to what appears from the posts above, with a larger audience than I expected including psgels (myself included). I don’t see myself adhering to the suspension of disbelief required by the series in accepting its exaggerations on Sawako or Kazehaya, cmon ITS SO DAMN OBVIOUS THAT KAZEHAYA LIKES SAWAKO YET YOU SUDDENLY GET THROWN IN STARTING WITH THIS ARC THAT SAWAKO IS DENSE (when clearly that was less pronounced in previous stories). So rather than charmed one in the end feels frustrated with the series. Thing is its not just a matter of suspension of disbelief but also the weaker side of the story telling.

For one as I mentioned last post with this series I still fail to see WHY Sawako is trying to hard to be “normal”. When clearly being “normal” is being sheep or mindless much like her classmates who follow every word of Kazehaya around. I mean fitting in is quite a normal thing in most animes and mangas but in this series it doesn’t appear at all appealing considering how mindless and cardboard the class is, its quite devoid of personality and no wonder Kazehaya reigns supreme over them all.

Then you have the sudden conversions of characters, Yano and Chizu are the case in point for that, that are far too quick that it does appear effortless to gain their friendship. Or if not characters say events, as this episode would show with things turning around way too quickly to Kurumi’s disadvantage.

These are just some of my gripes regarding the series.

38. Kiseki says:

I fail at arguing, so I won’t bother.
    I love watching Kimi ni Todoke because…it just makes me feel warm and happy. I’ve been able to laugh and cry (though this started only after watching Cross Game) while watching anime, but this is probably the first that just makes me smile.

Also, please review Ashita no Nadja. Maybe it’s because I don’t hear about it much, but I find it underrated. D: (The manga can burn in the depths of hell for all I care though.)

39. shao says:

I was going to comment here for the first time, but Machi already took the words right out of my mouth.

40. Michelle says:

So when do the rest of the episodes air from this point on? Is it really airing in Japan at this moment…??Please get back to me with the info guys, i appreciate it ;)

41. Michelle says:

and if any of you know any good romantic comedies of anime…please send ur suggestions my way!

42. Ladholyman says:

Looks like this show really isn’t your cup of tea. I recommend dropping it.

If watching this show doesn’t give you a fuzzy feeling, then you are only wasting your time.

However, I think this is one of the best shows of 2009.

43. nitaipriya says:

ahhh i wish you hadn’t given up on this series :) .. really ep 13 is one of the few times an anime made me spontaneously laugh out loud while no one else is around. it was great ^^

44. madoka says:

So I just started watching the show yesterday and I’m up to episode 12 now. I checked in to see if the show was covered here. I’m surprised by the drama.

I can understand why someone would dislike the show. Especially when that person lacks empathy toward what the main character is going through.

Yeah the Twilight comment is WAYYY over exaggerating. Instead of judging the show’s popularity, just judge the show. Getting frustrated about what other people think is wasting time.

I cant help but feel theres some cultural aspect I am missing to the Rakugo rant scene. Makes me sad.
Rakugo, continues to be great and gets another time skip. Im always surprised by how engrossing it is just listening to these people talk.
Makes me sad, just like Berserk. Got an entire shelf dedicated to it but its just so slow. stupid boat.
Vagabond was phenomenal, but its been on hiatus for years now hasnt it
....well without spoiling towards the middle of that rakugo episode and all throughout during that middle part, my opinion on Yotaro's character went far up.
Struggling to remember the name of that josei samurai manga from the 90s (or earlier 2000s), had a gender bending theme.
I've already read kenshin and vagabond, I loved shigurui death frenzy and sword of the stranger but found samurai champloo uneven. Theres a kagemusha manga but I haven't read it and I've yet to see/read blade of the immortal.
At a glance I'll go against the grain and say I think demi-chan is funnier than konosuba, going on one episode of each.
I've been watching a fare share of samurai films in the last two years and lately so I'm open to wathing more anime/reading manga dealing with samurai.
Hand Shakers, how I love to watch it jumping off the cliff. This show contains lines like "I don't understand... even if I did understand... but I don't understand." It isn't a dialogue that we encounter too often I'm sure.
@Mario, Sounds good to me. With me covering Little Witch Academia, Saga of Tanya the evil and Rakugo this season is well covered.
so I've decided to blog 3-gatsu, Scum's Wish and ACCA this season. A bit worry about the latter as I still don't have much to talk about that. Let's try it and see what happens; I say
Okay, I'm not hot on Onihei this week, as if the main theme about these two episodes were "people can be corrupted" then I'm not buying it. ACCA, on the other hand, was still very solid of building up the world and its big events to come.
I have played all the big roguelikes and found they have the same problem. I argee on procedural generation. Even if the map is different every time you are essentailly going through the same rooms and doing the same things.
Though to be honest, I don't like procedural(or designed room and then game connects them randomly) games much. I much enjoy hand designed dungeons since I rarely play games through more than once anyway so roguelike's appeal of "Every time you play it through its different!" doesn't appeal to me much and hand designed dungeons are much more memorable
Can't really comment further on that since I don't know which roguelikes you have played, and neither I have played gungeon so I don't know if its badly designed to the point you can't do anything if rng says so. Though I guess there is nothing wrong about liking luck based games, if roguelike in question is truly unbeatable if rng says so, well, its really badly designed one if you ask me.
Take my last run. Made it up to the fourth floor. Got plenty of guns but none were really useful. Even then ran out of ammo for all of them and the game was cheap about giving out ammo. Plenty of money but shops with nothing worth buying. Over 5 heart containers but no goddamn health. Died on the boss because I rolled out of a bullet into another bullet. Pretty much unavoidable.
@Masky, that's the theory but in pretty much every roguelike I played its not the case. If the RNG decides you are going to have a bad time then you are going to have a bad time. Skill can only bring you so far. I have played this game for 7 hours and I know I could have finished it in 2. Only thing stopping me is a dice roll.
Like, the thing with roguelikes is that they can get easier/harder depending on luck, but well done one should be completable even without any upgrades at all if you are skilled enough.
Thats not the really case with roguelikes though, unless game design is bad and includes insta kill traps and such that are unavoidable if you are unlucky
I hate roguelikes. Been playing enter the Gungeon and I just lost all patience with it. Getting real tired of my victory being decided by a RNG. It never feels satisfying to finish a roguelike because I know my victory was determined by pure luck.
So we got to rely on fansubs for it when it's airing.
@Mario, Nope. I think because netflix only puts up full seasons they are only planning to put it up when it's finished airing. Or when it's dubbed.
But how does the Netflix thing work? So of I have a Netflix account I can watch the show weekly?
@Aidan: that's a dumb way to do things really because unless you watch the show weekly, everyone gonna forget that it even exist. Just look at Re-Life last year
thought*. Words are hard.

Eventually found the actual first ep though and enjoyed it.
Was funny. I tried to find the first Ep for Little Witch, found original short made afew years ago, watched it and though "This is very similar to the original... Whats new".
Little witch is one of the best shows this season and yet I can't get subtitles because Netflix doesn't release shows weekly. Motherf*cker.
Ore Monogatari I enjoyed. It was a nice romance that actually explored what happens after the confession. Also the 2 leads are just precious.
Alright but unmemorable seems like a good summation.
@Lenlo: one good thing about Seiren is if you don't like this romance, the whole thing gonna reset after episode 4 so there's a chance that you might end up like it. Agreed that the comedy wasn't very good. Alright but unmemorable
@Topgavin: I watched like first 3 episodes and stopped because I didn't have much time there, but I enjoyed what I saw. A well-written and endearing show in my book
Has anyone here watched Ore Monogatari before? Because in the 4 years I've watched anime, I've never heard of it (I guess it did come out 2 years ago) and yet it's turning out to be one of my favorite shows. Always great going into a show expecting nothing and getting pleasantly surprised.
Only one more impression to go. Should have it up tomorrow.
Im really not feeling Seiren. Its "comedy" isnt for me and I just dont find it very enjoyable to watch so far. Im curious if it gets any better but 2 episodes in it just isnt that good.
HelghastKillzone
That ending scene is an entire side-story compressed into that. Don't expect anymore of it from here on out as the it sticks to ruthless military/fantasy pretty well.
LookingForKeys
@Topgavin I think it was good, making it the second episode. That way the first set up the world the story will be in, and showed how much of a monster the "little girl" really is right at the end, and then made ep.2 the explanation. Nothing against Tanya trying to rip "God" a new one.
That after-credits scene, though...
Hmm, as much as I like Seiren's omnibus format, it doesn't turn out really hot this second episode. Demi-chan, on the other hand, still maintains its endearing tone. Might blogging Demi-chan instead
Yeah, that second episode was much better than the first. Dunno why they didn't start with that to be honest, waste of an opportunity for a good hook episode. The voice for the main girl still sounds weird to me though; I get it's supposed to sound weird because it symbolizes 'her' being out of place and her personality and body being a mismatch, but it'll certainly take some getting used to.
Youjo Senki, now we are talking. Like Helghast said, Did the god scene way better than the LN and manga. Made it less comedic and more intimidating.
Oh man that Rakugo intro. Not sure what to think, but first time seeing it I liked it
I sort of like good will hunting because I kind of saw a bit of myself in Damon's character when I watched it ages ago.
@Mario: Remaking psycho and ruining the shower scene, for shame van sant, for shame.
Its easy to ripoff some obscure thing though and get away with it. The dogtooth director essentially stole an old Mexican film to make that.
@Kaiser: yeah, that following some guys from behind like they were on a RPG games, which I think actually fit with the tones of Elephant. I have such mixed feeling with Gus van Sant too. Don't really think he's a great director.
@Mario: Although Istvan Szabo is probably a little more well known for that Mephisto film that updates the Faust story. Zoltan Fabri's the fifth seal is a very thought provoking war movie.
@Mario: I remember seeing a film documentary that featured Gus van sant in one section, they showed clips of tarrs films, Sant ripped of the cinematography and stole the style from some British short film to make Elephant.
@Kaiser: agree on the other Hungarian filmmakers, I don't know much about them either.
@Mario: Scorsese's Silence was a big comeback. I really really emotionally connect with spiritual crisis stories.
@kaiser: yep, definitely check wreckmeister down. Althought I admit that watching his 2-hour plus films will feel like 5-hour anyways
@Mario: I'm more tolerant of darker teenage/coming of age films/stories. Les Demons was a big surprise.
@Mario: Though its kind of frustrating, I do think Tarr probably takes attention away from other hungarian filmakers because no-body knows who the hell the others are.
@Mario: Man, wreckmeister was so visually arresting I started getting dreams from it.
@Mario: I would consider Tarr to be kind of a poor mans Janco, Angelopolus and Tarkvosky rolled into one. I don't entirely "get" wreckmeister and man from London but they are great atmospheric mood piece experiences.
@Kaiser: I had been wanting to watch Belar Tarr's Turin Horse and Werckmeister Harmonies for so long now. Well, Fat Girl is shocking haha, but I'm normally drawn into those kind of films anyway.
@Kaiser: Margaret took like 5,6 years to release because he couldn't cut it down in the way he wanted. The final cut if I remembered correctly was edited by Martin Scorsese
@Mario: Only a HDcam for moonlight now.
I looks like my lineup is witch academia, rakugo and youjo senki, well the most latter one until I get bored.
@Mario: I sense a directors cut for manchester, it feels like it need another 30 minutes.
@Kaiser: right up my valley. Watch Kenneth Lonergan's previous works Magaret and You Can Count on Me. Magaret is very messy but have a raw dialogue and interactions as well
Now the first episodes are over, I will keep on covering 3-gatsu, as for the other twos atm I have 3 options: 1) full romance/anti-romance high school Seiren/Scum's Wish. 2) slice-of-life moe monster girls Demi-chan/Maid Dragon and 3) Mature,dark Onihen/Acca (which although I like them I don't have much to talk about).If you guys have any preference on which shows you like covered then let me know
@Helghast: At this point I'm watching youjo senki as an entertaining guilty pleasure.
@Mario: Too many reboots upcoming, will wait for the dvds instead. I want to explore more of manchester by the sea's director's work. I also want to finally get more into Bela Tarr's stuff.
@Mario: I was rather shocked by A Ma souer/fat girls final act. Scenes with the Italian in the bedroom were initially creepy.
@Kaiser: it's a nice review Kaiser, a bit jealous with you that you've seen those 3 films which are touted as the best films of 2016. Also Fat Girl, haha, I love that movie.
Poor yotaro =< you have so much stuff going down on you =<
HelghastKillzone
Youjo Senki episode was so good today. That revamped scene with God just fitted so right.
A official release of that game in the west is apparently coming but it's been a few years and not much news about it.
@Aidan: Ah yes that was the one.
@Kaiser, Had to think for a moment on that one but I think I was talking about this. https://vndb.org/v3144
Now I'd hardly consider myself a studio trigger fan, but I watched the first witch academia episode there, it was actually kind of fun, got the same reaction from me as flipflappers did, that magical, special feeling.
@Mario: I also, of interest reviewed Kenneth Lonegrans new film: http://letterboxd.com/shao_liu_ringon/film/manchester-by-the-sea/
@Mario: Moonlight got some feels out of me though it could of been more, it ends abruptly and with 20 extra minutes they could have spent a bit more time on each section of his life.
@Mario: I checked out lala land, ending was very well executed, one of three scenes in the film that were impressive visually. The whole thing looked pretty and Gosling and Stone had some decent chemistry. Although it didn't resonate emotionally as strongly as the musicals of Jacques Demi did.
MOM I want aiyoku no eustia and I want it now.
I've never heard of himawari or tokyo babel. The hellsing comparison at least interests me in dies irae. What was the name of that visual novel again that was coming out soon, Aidan you described it as "And Kaiser would love it because its supposed to be really fucked up".
I vaguely remember the anime for 11 eyes, it was very forgettable, even the voice acting was poor, hated the childhood friends and the pacing was poor, those black knight things were kind of interesting though.
@Aidan: You'll have to add me onto the list of those unsatisfied with the ever 17 writer, I read one of those games and felt it was a bunch of interesting bait that never paid off.
Anyway I plan on doing a review of 11eyes here when I finish it.
Can't say I was a fan of Ever17. That was a really good twist but when it came to explaining it their was a lot of contrived development. Generally not a fan of the writer. Looseboy, Ryukishi, Gen and Nasu are more my kinda thing
@Anon, it is nice that so many VNs are on steam but I wish they wouldn't be stupid with the whole no adult content thing. Not so much for myself but to prevent idiots from writing negitives reviews because the game doesn't have sex. VNs can grip you in a way anime simply can't and while they require pathence and time those can be some pretty powerful stories.
@Aidan, I am so happy steam's so VN-friendly now. I think it's a very good type of media. Like anime, it has nice visuals, music and some movement but also the inner monologue and text amount of books. It's the perfect combination. Plus, the routes, which are often puzzle pieces and PoVs you have to go through to understand the whole story. True routes like the one of Ever17 blew my mind.
Hopefully the two VNs I bought of steam turn out better. Tokyo Babel is supposed to be alright and I heard really good things about Himawari.
I am about a third of the way through the game and really not much of worth has happened. The concept is interesting but the execution is sorely lacking.
I went in expecting it to be a mixed bag and it's pretty below my expectations. It's just not really well written and the protagonist is a moron. THere isn't really routes and instead you are pretty much stuck with his childhood friend as the main love interest. Problem with that is her character begins and ends with loving the main.
@Aidan, damn. 11Eyes is on my reading list as well. Although I almost expected it to not be as good as I thought it'd be (back then). Guess I would have enjoyed it if I was able to read it while the (shitty) adaption aired, maybe I have seen/read too many series by now. Guess I'll still give it a try some day though.
@Anon, I haven't heard the OST or watched the intro video. I only know it be reputation and have decided to walk into it as blind as I can. Still slightly worried as I was somewhat looking forward to reading 11Eyes for a couple of years and now that I am reading it it's well...not good.
@Aidan, same here. I was waiting years for this, since I saw the intro video for the first time. Also, that OST!
HelghastKillzone
Youjo Senki is already leagues better than Izetta. It's going to be top anime of forever and ever. (maybe not)
And finally Dies Irae is funded. May actually be able to play and finish the game before the anime airs. If the hype is real behind this baby it could be a new personal favorite Visual Novel of mine. Already looking promising with it being like a cross between Hellsing and Fate/Stay Night. Two things I most certainly like.
@Masky, in regards to style over substance thats where im at with Gurrne Lagann.
Yeah, I'll probably watch the next episode to see whether it can redeem itself. Hopefully it can but considering 1st episodes usually get a lot of budget, there's some severe doubt in there.
I actually argee with character designs and voices are bad in regards to female characters. Still the next episode might change your mind if we get more into the main characters head.
It's boring
Also, it seems I disagree with a lot of people in thinking Youjo Senki will be a massive trainwreck. The character designs are awful, the voice acting is mismatched but most of all the premise just seems so very dumb. If I wanted to watch a badass kill people I'd go watch Hellsing or Drifters, because at least those don't have some op, disproportionate loli as the mc.
Gets even more complicated when you account for Satire and Parody. You could equally argue all examples listed as being as such.
Little Witch Academia is a decontruction of Harry Potter....I don't believe that but honestly if I tried I could put some reasoning behind that statement.
In the end, it always comes down to opinion (as with every discussion about anime, for some reason). You could spin any and every series as a "deconstruction", which is why people shy away from using the word. You could argue NGE, Madoka and Re:Zero are all deconstructions yet also argue Gundam, Precure and SAO are depending on what points you weigh more importantly.
Like, if deconstruction is supposed to be just "break the elements and then play story how it would realistically go down" well I haven't watched NGE, but as far as I know it does have stuff that isn't typical to mecha genre besides the "It would fuck up kids" thing plus "realistically how it would play out" is pretty subjective thing. I mean, its mainly about how cynical bastard the writer is :P
Like I said, I don't fully agree with it because I find video's speaker's attitude annoying, but I found it semi convincing. Main thing I don't find convincing about it is that I don't think its hard to turn video's own arguments agaisnt it and say that by its own logic NGE isn't deconstruction either, like Aidan just said earlier
And I don't really have energy for checking out the "correct" one. If there even is one. Anyway, the hipster video I was talking about was titled "What Actually Is A Deconstruction?" if you want to check it out.
Hmm, well, it does depend on definition you use. Like if you use "realistic" thing, well, Magical Girl shows don't usually have "You turn into monsters" thing going on and reason why NGE's pilots go crazy is from dangerous situations rather than evas making them do so. But honestly, I don't really have strong opinion on matter since word seems to be one of those with several different meaning
for me Madoka IS a deconstruction of Magical girl, and yeah like what Aidan said
I think part of Utena is a deconstruction of "prince riding horse and save the girl" because that notion is just a foundation for Utena to become a prince herself and save other girl. That's breaking it apart and resemble it again in its own way. Don't have to be dark/ don't have to be real either
@Masky, That's just debating semantics. Besides that difinition would pretty much mean that Neon Genesis Evangelion isn't a decontruction either. Madoka isn't a decontruction because it's dark. It's more in its aspects of criticising why a girl should throw her ordinary life away for something as dangerous as being a magical girl. It does take plenty of the typical tropes and turn them on its head
@Masky: Genre deconstruction is such a tricky word that I normally try to avoid using because there's really no set characteristic about the term and different people have different opinions about what constitute "deconstruction". For me, I disagree that deconstruction have to be dark and real, hmm can't say it well but I will give you an example:
But yeah, I guess I could try to find the video if you guys are interested, though like I said, I got hipsterish feel from the video and felt rather annoyed through it even though I did get what the point was and found it sort of convincing besides my annoyance
(not that liking NGE is hipsterish, its just that I find NGE to be more style than substance sort of series <_< Anyway, guy didn't dislike madoka or anything, he just seemed to dislike people using word deconstruction wrong in his opinion)
(especially with how much they seemed to praise Neon Genesis Evangelion)
I mean, I think the guy was being somewhat hipsterish, but its true the being darker take on genre isn't same as deconstructing the genre
@AidanAK47: Some other guy on youtube did video that had actually pretty good point about how Madoka isn't really deconstruction, if you go by definition of "Break it down to parts and then play them straight to show how horrifying it would be in real life"
Gente - Ristorante no Hitobito
If anything its the hate I have for certain characters that makes it more effective.
The obsessional level of attachment is just uncomfortable to me, I don't want to get THAT attached to a non-real character.
Its literally just a case of "Okay lets look at this picture of this character, she looks interesting, no feelings or expression from me, apply this fetish, fap, get release, go home. "
Or drooling/dribbling/heavy breathing/grinning over the characters. I abhor alot of the anime girls I find attractive or am indifferent, even when looking at ecchi/hentai drawings I'm straight and clinical with it.
I mean to each their own. But I really hate the level of emotion/devotion to moe/finding the characters attractive. Such as celebrating their birthdays, going on about how cute/hot they are, how important it is that they're virgins. Or not being being self-aware of how irritating the characters are.
Anime hipster is pretty accurate. His general treatment of the current state of anime is annoying, as is his obsession with moe. Maybe its cause I cant stand moe most of the time, but it bugs me.
@Lenlo: Essentially my brothers view on digibro.
@Aidan: I don't usually feel the need to correct errors in your reviews as the errors are generally un-important, but I think you meant to say apprentices rather than appearences in the Rakugo review, just bringing that up as it felt like kind of a throw off.
Which is kinda like saying Madoka wasn't a magical girl deconstruction because Sailor Moon and Nanoha had dark elements too.
Went and read the reddit comments on it and seems I was right on the money.
@Lenlo, He's basically a anime hipster. For example, I saw a thumbnail of his which had Saitama on it and below it "Is There Meaning In "Subverting" Shounen Tropes?" and I thought "Okay, he's going to go on about how OPM isn't subversive and then list a bunch of arbitrary examples in an attempt to redefine what is actually subversive"
I have lots of issues with Digibro. Dude has some good points, but other very horrible ones. Some issues he feels strongly about and gets kinda biased on imo.
acca looks visually interesting, and I personally really dig this kind of show, but it seems that it's definitely not for everyone
Time to live up to my word. Four posts incoming.
Man, Little witch Academia was so good. I disagree with the whole Digibro thing about being able to recognise a great show in it's first episode but watching this makes me think that this really is going to be something special.
Alright, gonna put in effort today and have 3 or 4 first impressions posts done. That should knock out near half the season.
Had a flip through handshakers. Garish is the word I'd use to describe it visually, it takes you out of the show.
ASuperMario From the first minute I can already tell it's by the same people that made K. Those colour filters and the extremely jarring/obvious city CGI is unmistakable.
Hand Shakers, literally makes my hands shaking. It's an abosolute mess. Highly recommended to check it out because it's so terrible it's great to watch
Vonter212
Yeah, and it's also a literal woman in refrigerator plot device, since that the thing that pushes the story forward.
I'd say that having to hide your sister's body in fridge would count as daaaaaaark and edgy, but when the body is wearing only underwear, and for some reason main character put metal things in fridge to keep body standing(I guess to not knock fridge open from inside?) I think it goes to "exploitation" you are talking about
Vonter212
@Masky - Did someone said doing dark things for drama? That's the bread and butter to get despair. Unless it's for the sake of perversion. Then it's just exploitation.
@Masky: His other works dead tube and scumbag go further in the unhinged regard.
*relies on easy "let's do [x dark thing] for drama!" thing
Geez, Mayonaka no X Giten is fricking disturbing/disgusting ._. I'm pretty sure that writing relies on e, but I can't help but think mangaka is trying to make corpses sexy.
I found Onihei to be quite good, actually one of the most solid new episode I watched this new season. Guys, check them out
I just hope it doesn't fall into the same misstep Kabaneri or Inuyasha or Bleach fall by making a villain so over the top that it crossed the line of not having a satisfying downfall.
@Vonter I think they just moved on. I lost interest rather quickly and I guess even the fans did that at some point, like with some other long-running series. There is much more new and more direct "fujo" stuff out there, many of them probably switched. Don't know what happens in the manga but maybe the story got worse or contained things some people didn't like.
January will be loli dictator month (for me) :p. World Conquest Zvezda Plot, Youjo Senki: Saga of Tanya the Evil (new), Seraph of the End. For some reason I stumble into three curious series with little power hungry girls. If I can ask, why did Owari Seraph's hype died, I remember back it was mentioned more often. It still has the fujoshi fanart but still, I don't see people bringing it up.
@CATski: well, if you didn't like its first 3 episodes I dont think the rest gonna change your mind. Have you finished Erased then? How did you like it?
But I understand it's difficult to speak in front of camera, get some time to get used to it
@kaiser: I won't commend on poem as I'm terrible at it myself but younneed to work more on presentation Kaiser. Small little things like looking directly at the camera or say "thanks for listening" in the end can connect you to the audience better
Ok. I'll give the thing another chance. *clicks torrent* XD. CATski.
@Topgavin: You might like centaur no nanami if you like demi-chan.
Damn...repeated myself =<
There are these things called slam sessions done in bars where people get up and read out stuff in front of a crowd and read stuff out. Actually watching rakugo made me think about practicing for that kind of thing.
@Mario: the video I did was of me reading out a short piece of writing I did, a poem. lol I uploaded it to the wrong youtube account too I just realized =P
[link src="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypBZ2hBDBYs&t=11s
I"] was recording this from my mothers laptops inbuilt cam while reading off my desktop.
@Kaiser: I think it's a good idea for you to try out reviewing movies/stuffs in youtube channel. I'll be very interesting to listen to them

Scum’s Wish – 02 [I’m here for that warmth]

Welcome to the roller coaster of the emotional manipulative anime of this season, are you with me on this ride? Scum’s Wish has the exact opposite issues with ACCA in that it tries to overwhelm us with lots of raw feelings that sometime it touches the line of manipulation. This episode, fortunately, still pretty much […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. – 02 [The Partner in Crime’s Name is Nino]

I admit that although I think ACCA is one the most solid show this season and I in particular like how they set up the settings and the events to come, the first two episodes didn’t grab me that much personally. As a result, in prepare for this post, I went ahead and watching them […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 15

It was inevitable that Yotaro’s past with the Yakuza would come back to haunt him but boy did it really bite him in the ass. I was wondering as to how the show would work with Yotaro and give him conflict but then this episode comes along and gives him plenty to worry about. He’s […]

Little Witch Academia – 02[Pappiliodya]

I may regret choosing to cover this series as what makes it great is a quality that cannot really be held up to professional scrutiny. Much like Triggers other works, it’s not what’s being presented that matter but rather how it’s presented. You can make the argument that Trigger doesn’t necessarily innovative but rather take […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 13 [Black River (part 2) – Beyond the Door]

This week we have 2 disjoined chapters, which are different in tones and more importantly in their point of view. We go through the first section from Smith-san perspective detailing his own thoughts towards the match against Gotou, and the latter part Rei took the stage, being on his way to challenge Gotou in next […]

Saga of Tanya the Evil – 02[Prologue]

As I initially thought, this series becomes a whole lot better when you can see the disparity between the main protagonists thoughts and how those around her view them. The first episode jumped ahead in the story to where Tanya had established herself somewhat and I believe the intent was to mislead the audience with […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2, Chaos;Child, Marginal#4 KISS Kara Tsukuru Big Bang and Scums Wish

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2 Short Synopsis: Kazama stands trial after accidentally blowing up a lord’s manor while saving the town. This show certainly hasn’t lost it’s charm. I had the biggest smile on my face while watching and it even managed to get me laughing out loud at points. I will admit […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Onihei, Gabriel DropOut and ACCA – 13-ku Kansatsu-ka

Onihei Short Synopsis: A captured thief joins the police to hunt down his old leader. For a studio’s first work this is quite a solid offering. The beginning reminded me of samurai champloo though this seems more a traditional samurai story. Animation isn’t anything too impressive but it does the job and there is some […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Hand Shakers, Kemono Friends and Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon

Hand Shakers Short Synopsis: A boy holds the hand of a girl he finds in a hospital room and ends up in a supernatural battle to the death. GoHands, you know what would be great? If you know, instead of slapping on lens flares and colour filters all over the place, you just don’t do […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100