Posted by psgels on 23 December 2009 with categories: Kimi ni Todoke

This episode was… tedious to sit through. It was basically just Kurumi trying to get a love triangle started, which is probably going to be worthless in the next episode when everyone realizes that it was just a misunderstanding. Agh, it’s like Itazura na Kiss all over, but without the funny parts.

Let me list a bunch of shoujo-series that actually did get the love triangle right (Minor spoilers included):
Bokura ga Ita: mainly worked because the love rival got fed up with the indecisiveness of the lead male, which was a huge theme of the series.
Kodomo no Omocha: worked because we actually see both the lead male and female go through other relationships with other people, while it’s actually the distance between them, created by the lead female’s job as an idol that prevents them from hooking up, rather than the ditzy love rivals being the sole reason.
Ashita no Nadja: we actually see the lead female hanging out with other guys without it suddenly creating a huge drama.

On top of that, we also have shoujo-series as Glass Mask, DNAngel and Full Moon wo Sagashite in which the romances work because of their realism and the way they let their relationships progress naturally. Not in the forced way that Kimi ni Todoke has been doing for the past twelve episodes…

I’m interested to see the other sides of the story, though. I’ve heard quite a few arguments why this show is popular, but those all seemed to come from the ones who didn’t like it. When I look at various blogs, all I see is squealing over various characters, but for the past months I’ve hardly seen any people who liked this show and came with valid reasons.

Sure, that might just been me, looking at the wrong places, but still: fans of Kimi ni Todoke, enlighten me! What makes this show so great that it deserves such a high score on various anime sites? What was so good about this series that everyone vote for it here? Or is this really just another Twillight which has tons of squealing fangirls who like it just because of the hot guys and sparkles?

Whether I’m going to drop this show at the start of the Winter-Season, I don’t know yet. Because Aoi Bungaku, Darker than Black, Erin, Konnichiwa Anne, Kuchuu Buranko, Umineko and White Album are going to be ending all within a week, this means that I need to find seven new bloggable shows among the line-up of the upcoming Winter-season. Which is a lot during such a small season. However, if number eight does pop up, then expect to see this show in the dropped-list.

Right now, this show is just… too convenient. Sawako doesn’t really have to work hard for her newfound popularity. She gets protected everywhere, and her exaggeratedly weird personality makes sure that all the bad guys’ plans go wrong. At first I praised this series because it showed outcasts as they try to live back into society, but that’s not even what this series is about. We’ve just got another Mary Sue here where the entire plot revolves around. Sure, Sawako has flaws, but all those flaws seem to be more and more used in favour of her, rather than creating her as a character.
Rating: — (Lacking)

1. Kim says:

I already dropped this series. I don’t think it’s bad just not good enough for me to keep watching.

As for the shoujo with the best love triangles try Princess Tutu (I know I have told you to watch this before). It’s not typical at all and works out wonderfully in the end.

Although not shoujo I also love how Rumiko Takahashi handles her love triangles in Maison Ikkoku. Which is one of the best anime/manga romcoms out there.

2. Matt says:

I like it because i really like the characters… I thought it was hilarious how ticked off Kurumi with her naitivity…

I will probably keep watching it, but this better be it for the love triangles… I can see them using the first one to set up the characters more, especially the friendships… I can understand this one because of the lasting love Kurumi has for him. But any more and i will probably drop it. But i enjoy the animation, the writing, and the characters… So, it will be a tough one for me to drop..

3. Acylia says:

What I’m actually more interested in now, in Kimi ni Todoke, is Sanada and Chizu, as I actually find them more interesting as characters… Kazehaya and Sawako are… cute, I guess. But I kind of got tired of them. I actually started watching KnT because it sort of brightened up my week. But there are definetly better shows out there.

But I do respect and understand why you feel like this about the series. The sparkles are way overdone. I’m probably going to keep watching, though. :) Thanks for blogging this far, anyway! ^^

4. Sarah says:

Compared to a lot of shoujo, Kimi Ni Todoke isn’t anything special but is defiantly a good series. I think some of it’s strong points is it’s ability to incorporate its side characters as well as take a slower and more simplistic approach to the story line.

Bokura Ga Ita for example, was a good series but often got over taken by too much angst and drama. Kimi Ni Todoke I agree isn’t a series to rave about but it’s entertaining that’s all I can say :)

5. lesterf1020 says:

I don’t know why you need someone to tell you why this is popular and I don’t know why you continue to blog this. You clearly don’t like it and none of its charms work on you. This isn’t your show. I don’t see a problem here.

You like many shows that most of the fan base and blogging community have no love for. Many people don’t understand how you can rate some of your shows so highly. So is it really a surprise that you might not get a show that lots of other people love?

Please drop this. It is looking like this is going to be a 24 ep series of more of the same. You are going to be cut and pasting your blog posts on this soon. If you were being witty and sarcastic and making fun of the show it might have been worth it but your slow death by befuddlement is just painful. Lots of others are blogging this so save your efforts for the good shows that few even know exist. I am enjoying your blogging on Kemono no Souja Erin.

6. theone says:

I have NO idea why guys watch shouju anime/read manga. . .whats so good about watching high school love bad visual cartoon dramas?

I love a lot of the Adult stuff that is out there (i.e aoi bunraku) I have no idea why there arent many of thoese shows that bloggers want to watch instead of the same old same old junk, random wimpy guy gets 5 girls around him, or love triangle with guys that either a)dont know how to get a girl or b)are soo horny AND stupid (its cool to be horny and smart) that the bang all the girls and cant be discreet about it (think school daze. . .i didnt watch it, I just read some blog posts here and there) with random obligatory panty shots, shower scenes, onsen scenes, more panty shots, guy seeing a girl naked by accident and blushing while she hits/yells at him, or *accidentally* falling on a girls giant tits or *accidentally* falling on top of a girl in a sexual position or vice versa. . .it sjust the same ol shitsakebap all over, wouldnt the blogosphere get tired of this? Or am I just too, old/manly/hetero??

Where the hell are all the adults blogging the nice mature adult shows? I swear the only blogger that blogs adult stuff is Psgels. . .and even then there are more shows on this site that should be replaced by more adult and mature type stuff, I wanna hear about more aoi bungakus, and kemono no erin, east of eden, guin sage type shows each season, much more than *panty shot harem heaven part 5000*

7. psgels psgels says:

theone: please, if there’s an adult show I missed this season, then let me know about them, because I’m looking for them as well. Also, the reason I watch shoujo is because of the good series in the genre. I’m not sure whether you’ve seen Ashita no Nadja, Glass Mask 2005 or Kodocha, but these shows really show how enjoyable this genre can be when done right.

lester: you have a good point, yeah. It’s not the worst show I’ve had to blog, but I’ve gotten tired of Kimi ni Todoke by now. My only question is whether or not something is going to show up in the next season that can replace it (eight good shows… that’s really going to be a close one).

8. Kanao says:

I agree with lester. You often prove that your tastes aren’t quite in-sync with ‘the norm’, loving shows that many find boring, so what is with all the complaining? If you hate it so much then please stop blogging it as you’ll only hurt other people’s enjoyment.

The reasons people like Kimi ni Todoke are relatively simple: it has charm, it’s sweet, the character interaction feels natural and makes you smile, Sawako’s progress somehow soothes some of life’s little frustrations and most importantly it’s entertaining. Entertainment value isn’t something you can explain well. A show can be a total train wreck and yet still remain very fun to watch each week (yes, most notably Code Geass R2). In a lot of ways I enjoy it for the exact same reasons as Cross Game.

Comparing KnT to Twilight with claims of “hot guys and sparkles” just because you don’t enjoy it is insulting and immature. KnT is popular among guys too, not just girls. Narrow-minded comments like that make me feel you should probably stop watching any shoujo anime. God knows that any other shoujo series has more than three guys (two of which do little but serve as comic relief). Also, I’m fairly sure girls aren’t obsessed with Twilight because of the sparkles, its just an element people make fun of because it happens to be pretty damn funny/stupid.

9. mds says:

yeah,I have pretty much same comment with Kanao about KnT.Compared to other shoujos full of reverse harem-ing,gender bender-ing,shounen-ai-ing,KnT is a rather refreshing one.It’s like enjoying shoujos like Fruits Basket/Shugo Chara (manga) for me (i’m a guy,and Furuba/Shugo Chara also has a lot of male fans..:) )

By the way,the next season’s preview sounded like it’ll be a dull one for you (full of ecchis and moeblobs…but I’m looking for OmaHima and soranowoto,by the way.It has only about 4-5 non moe/ecchi shows.) are you sure you’ll drop this?

Lastly..Cross Game has 39 episodes only.It’ll end in next episode,so you have 8 free slots..

10. m says:

The story of Kimi ni Todoke is intentionally upbeat. It’s an unrealistic tale of how teenage drama is worked out through mutual understanding. It makes no pretense at realism, and the mangaka basically beats you over the head with her motivations.

Still, I dropped the anime after a few episodes. Listening to Sawako talk was painful. I had to watch the first episode in pieces, because listening to her performance was so taxing. The manga is a quick read, so the absence of depth doesn’t bother me at all, and the uplifting nature of the story is sometimes just what you’re looking for. It’s like Chi’s Sweet Home in that I don’t want to watch twenty minutes of a kitten being cute, but watching a few episodes of Chi is pretty uplifting.

11. Kanao says:

“Lastly..Cross Game has 39 episodes only.”

Actually it’s continuing into next season so it’ll probably be around 50. Too many people seem to go by ANN’s list of episode titles – they only include the ones with official confirmation. ^^

“Sawako doesn’t really have to work hard for her newfound popularity.”

What? I watched the episode (just as great as usual by the way) and she isn’t ‘popular’. People are just noticing her a bit more as a human being now that they aren’t expected to avoid her. It’s not like classmates are inviting her to hang out, go to karaoke, shopping or anything. Can you really call someone popular just because a few people in class are willing to say ‘hello’? As usual, you’re determining flaws on your own.

“exaggeratedly weird personality”

She’s just incredibly honest and dense/innocent. Her personality isn’t that strange.

12. Kim says:

Cross Game is scheduled for 51 episodes

13. Maa says:

Personally I agree with the ones telling you to drop it. Not because I like it, but because that poll you held was obviously going to lead to you blogging a show like that since thats what the majority of anime/manga viewers seem enjoy, Romanace/School Life.

There hasn’t been one thing is this series that makes it anything above average and sure I guess the teen girls will love this stuff but it really isnt anything more than average.

I love this blog because most of the series you’ve rated high/reviwed, which many other bloggers failed to blog/review/, turned out to be absouletly amazing and greatly changed the type of animes I watch. This series just doesn’t fit in a blog of this caliber and belongs else where like RC.

14. Maa says:

I think your comparison with this to twilight was perfect. Sure it may just be another average story from a a genre thats largely overused, but they make it look good and sparkly, and it appeals to the masses. Sure there are guy fans to twilight too but what do you think the majority of the fans and what makes it so popular are, teenage females. Just like this anime, how the majoirty of female teens would prefer romance/school life.

15. tsotha says:

Same here, except for me it’s Chizu and Ayane. Whereas Sawako and Kazehaya are pretty one-dimensional, with Chizu and Ayane you get some richness and subtlety. They’re both really likable, the kind of friends you wish you had in high school. I would love to see a spin-off with these two characters going off to college or transferring schools.

The scene with Ayane and Kurumi sent chills up my spine – that could get interesting if they handle it well.

I can’t decide yet if Sanada is interesting in his own right or just as a love interest for Chizu. He didn’t really get much dialog until this episode.

16. Sapphire says:

“The reasons people like Kimi ni Todoke are relatively simple: it has charm, it’s sweet, the character interaction feels natural and makes you smile, Sawako’s progress somehow soothes some of life’s little frustrations and most importantly it’s entertaining.” – Kanao

I agree with this, entirely. Even though there are shoujo series way better than KnT, I think it does a nice job at being what it’s supposed to be: a sweet story between two innocent teenagers finding love for the first time. The fact that both Kazehaya and Sawako are clueless does make it a bit annoying sometimes, but it would be out of character for them to be forward.

Also I disagree when you say that their relationship is progressing in a forced way. Actually I think it couldn’t be more natural, since they’re slowly getting to know each other and their own feelings.

The only thing that’s bugging me about KnT is the fact that they’re taking too much time on something that could be dealt with in one/two episodes. I’ll keep watching it anyway though, since I’m curious to see how Kazehaya and Sawako’s relationship is going to evolve, as well as Ryu and Chizu’s.

Psgels, if you don’t want to blog KnT, don’t force yourself. I was one of the people who voted for it and I love to read your reviews, but I can’t say I’m enjoying the ones you write for KnT since they always feel like they were written as a chore.

17. Charlie says:

I think your retarded hahah
    everything you just said is completely inaccurate, Kurumi wasn’t trying to get a love triangle started, she was trying to stop one from getting started. She likes him and doesn’t want Sawako in the way. This is an amazing show with the best characters I’ve seen. I guess this show only appeals to people who can comprehend the depths of peoples emotions.
    Did you honestly just say DNangel has a more realistic take on romance than Kimi ni Todoke???? That is probably the funniest thing I’ve ever heard, I think you need to get out of the house a little more, cause guys flying down into your house and kissing you out of the blue typically doesn’t happen in real life hahahah.

18. Kanao says:

“since thats what the majority of anime/manga viewers seem enjoy, Romanace/School Life.”

No offense intended but damn you’re being delusional. If you had ever paid attention to the anime-fansub community you’d know that Kimi ni Todoke may just be the first romance shoujo anime to generate such mass-appeal among everyone, not just girls. This is pretty impressive when you consider that there appear to be many more guys than girls in this particular ‘community’. The ones with any interest in Japanese culture seem to be much more active in the live-action and manga communities. And they also seem to prefer livejournal to the ‘Anime Blogosphere’.

“I think your comparison with this to twilight was perfect.”

Once again someone who doesn’t have a clue what they’re talking about. Don’t respond unless you’ve watched these (protip – they prove just how bad Twilight is): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L253VLwH3w

19. Jessi says:

De-lurking to hopefully provide some insight into why people might like the show (and if not, I apologize in advance).

I watch the series weekly in a mixed-gender group (3 guys, 4 girls) and everyone is enjoying it. I think that perhaps the reasoning behind this is that, while much of the show feels very typical of the shoujo genre, it’s just slightly off from people’s expectations and those little elements of surprise seem to really engage the group.

Perhaps what I personally find most enjoyable is Sawako, since she’s such an atypical shoujo heroine. I can’t tell you how sick I am of female leads being either bimbos or tsunderekko. Sawako may be unrealistically naive, but she’s also earnest and sweet. Where your typical female lead would want to seek vengeance, Sawako genuinely just wants people to understand. She assumes the best in people and doesn’t expect them to manipulate her. I find that appealing about her.

The supporting characters are also engaging because, as my husband put it, they’re people that he would like to know and with whom he’d like to hang out. I especially like Yano and Yoshida, because they’re also misunderstood in their own way, judging by how easily rumors about them being a slut and a delinquent spread throughout the student body.

I also have to give some credit to the background artwork in this series which is just beautifully colored and feels warm. Our group often gets a giggle out of the copious shoujo bubbles, but I think that the use of those visual tropes coupled with the unusually high-quality visual elements sums up what gives the show its broad appeal; it embraces the typical aspects of the shoujo genre and also one-ups them in certain ways, making its characters a bit different and having them react to typical shoujo-genre situations in slightly different manners than one might expect.

But, if you don’t like it, you don’t like it, and there’s nothing wrong with that. I will echo the sentiment from some other commenters that it might be time to stop blogging the show, especially if it’s become a chore.

20. naixil says:

seriously, if you really don’t like it, why bother blogging just because your poll says it’s one of the top series to watch and blog in Fall?

stop antagonizing those of us who actually love the show for its simplicity.

because come on, it’s a high school setting. do you seriously think there’s so much backstabbing and hidden motives like adult series?

so really.

stop blogging this, and save all of us the agony.

21. PL says:

as one of those rare Western anime fans in their thirties, I can tell you that backstabbing and hidden motives were MUCH more common when I was in high school than they are in the adult world that most of us live in. While my relationships in high school were always complex things with daily betrayals and alliances taking place in a complex social milleiu by teenagers so otherwise unengaged they filled their time and directed their libidos at pointless coming-of-age rituals, seemingly inane group traditions and an otherwise disgusting game of social behavior that only a few could ever play really well. In the adult world, relationships have more depth, but people also tend to value honesty, loyalty and sincerity more, and one becomes judged not so much by how you are but by who you are. There is much less deciet, backstabbing, etc. A show about high school depicted innocently is what is unrealistic.

22. Glass says:

I believe I just watch it because it’s cheerful and cute and makes you feel better… yeah, some episodes were a drag to watch, but at some moments it feels like school all over again.

BTW, Kazehaya is finally getting some character development…

23. tsotha says:

Where did you go to high school? Where I come from high school girls are the most vicious, backstabbingist creatures on the face of the earth.

24. wtfblog says:

People like it because people like it

25. wtfblog says:

The very likely reason for liking (and yes I overuse like) this show is all the innocence it brings out. It shows how things really happen all without going into a casually perfect world but still keeping a degree of warmth to appeal to a wide range of audiences. I would say it’s very much a matter of personal taste and experiece. It surely does go with the moe anime idea, but it also doesn’t go into unhandled humor giving it an all around soft feeling. The relationship between the characters is very stereotypical , shy girl, indecisive boy and various agents like kurumi or sanada who serve purely for screenwriting purposes. Psgels probably already figured out the very logical outcome of the anime so he is not to blame. It would be intricate to not express what he , thinks in this situation but hey, its his blog :p

26. headachebaby says:

Kanao & Jessi: I agreed with your comments because they are my same thoughts.

I’m a girl and I love shoujo animes when it’s done right. So far, I enjoyed this anime because Sawako’s a irregular heroine. From her lack of socialization, she could be called a dull personality but what do you expect from someone who doesn’t socialize. Sawako is surprised at the acceptance she have received from fellow classmates. She also have trouble understanding Kurumi’s fake friendship but is excited to be noticed. Sawako is not your typical cute heroine and hey, I’d rather watch more dull characters like Sawako than the cute, annoying types. In fact, Sawako’s sweet and honest.

Aagh…I keep hearing about Bokura ga Ita and how it’s a better shoujo. I’ve watched it and there were moments I enjoyed but I couldn’t say I enjoyed it completely to go back and re-watch it. If I like the anime, I could go back and re-watch it, but this anime wasn’t one of them. The agonizing part was how the main guy and girl kept distancing themselves from their issues as a couple. Instead, they involved another guy and girl which made their issues more complicated. Sure, I agreed that the anime depicted real romances (love triangles) but how they kept dragging on their issues got too annoying. At times I was just agonizing how each of them couldn’t keep their heads straight. It’s like they knew how rocky their relationship was but instead of solving it together, they hung out with the other guy and girl and created more issues.

So, I quickly checked the other “better” shoujo-series recommended by PSGELS and all of them look annoying except for Glass Mask. I’ll check that one out.

The animation for Kimi ni Todoke is awesome and I like the music.

PSGELS, if this anime is completely dull to you and you’re agonizing to write about it weekly, then it’s only fair for you to drop it. But I always check your blog and like to get your views on the animes I’m currently watching (this being one of them). So I hope you don’t end up dropping it. ^_^

27. naxsis says:

I love this show! But why is a more difficult question than I thought…

The basis of the attraction for me is simply two things, one of which is that Sawako is such a gosh darn nice person. It is so refreshing to see a character that is so guileless and genuine that it makes me want to pull for her in every situation. The blushing, awkward romance between her and Kazehaya reminds me of high school (and post high school life sometimes) to a tee.

I suppose the other reason that I love this show is simply the social awkwardness of Sawako strikes a chord with my own social shortcomings. To see someone grow from a isolated existence to someone more integrated with her classmates makes me smile. Sawako’s trials and tribulations remind me in a positive way that people are for the most part genuinely good and that one doesn’t have to be awkward around others forever.

That being said, please don’t interpret this to mean that all fans of the show are shut-ins, unable to interact successfully with others. I’m sure everyone has had feelings of loneliness and social awkwardness and perhaps this shows resonates with those times. I do alright nowadays but there are times I can relate…

The characters may not have layers upon layers (at least what we’ve seen so far) and the plot may not twist but the show just is great. Love it or hate it, I’ll still watch it with a smile :)

28. legato29 says:

I like this show simply because it has a uncanny ability to evoke the tension, anxiety, and awkwardness of social interactions. This is, in part, achieved through its many subtle animations and dynamic facial expressions. The art style only enhances and furthers this effect. All in all, this feeling of tension and anxiety help to beautifully illustrate a young girl’s path toward social competence.

29. spoon says:

I like the post from legato29…..I don’t think this show is really about romance as much as it is about social acceptace and competance, i.e. i don’t think romance is supposed to be the main focus. That might be why the romance doesn’t seem that great to some people, it’s not the main point of the show, it’s just another element of Sawako becoming more socially accepted/assimilated, and THAT’s the main focus of the show and what the fans seem to really like.

I don’t know, this isn’t my absolute favorite series. But I tend not to agree with psgels on everything anyways (I absoultely love Cross Game – that and Tokyo Magnitude have been the only really enjoyable series for me for the past couple seasons, and I certanly don’t stick with most of the shows covered here)

But it’s nice to watch…and honestly, Chizu and Ayane are two of my favorite characters ever. They should get more screen time.

30. NguyenSon says:

I think I’m gonna disagree with lots of people here saying that you would do everyone a favour by dropping the serie. I always find it interesting to see differing point of views on any subjects. Should Pgels do only reviews that agree with your opinion? It’s by watching people debating a subject that you can have a more accurate idea about it.

I don’t understand all those people saying you are “hurting” them because you disagree with them, do you guys shun all the people that disagree with you? Should they only compliment you and agree with you? Or should they just keep quiet when they disagree? I doubt most of you would do that in real life and I see no reason why you should act in this way on the net. Moreover, if you don’t like reading his opinion, you can always choose not to read him.

I also need to point out that this post is only addressed to people like Charlie, Kanao, Naixil and the like. I don’t mind those who specifically addressed the reason why they liked the show, I found those opinion as interesting as Pgels’.

31. Kanao says:

NguyenSon: disagreeing with people and insulting them are very different things. Psgels complains about many episodes of Kimi ni Todoke and I’ve only chosen to comment this time; because he’s being offensive. He’s talking as though KnT viewers must be shallow fangirls simply because he doesn’t like the show. I’m a guy, as are most of my friends watching it.

My responses are to his childish contempt, not his complaints – although they too seem to consist of nitpicking and flaws that don’t exist rather than any logical arguments. I recommended he drop the show because disliking a show bad enough to fall this low means that he’s simply not in any position to provide an alternative perspective.

Of course, he said “fans of Kimi ni Todoke, enlighten me!” and yet he’s not even willing to respond to our explanations of why it’s good.

32. PL says:

So here is how you can make this show actually worth watching: Sawako is teased about looking like Sadako relentlessly, even Kazehaya’s kindness turns out to have been an elaborate prank, and Sawako loses it and starts murdering her classmate. Screaming,
    “You want Sadako, I’ll give you Sadako!” The rest of the season could be her mercilessly hunting down each and every one of her tormentors. Then this show might be worth continuing to watch. She is killed before finally killing Kazehaya. Next season, the murders start again, and the show could be called Kimi ni Todoke: Blood Sparkles in the Moonlight, and it turns out that Kazehaya has snapped and he’s the one murdering people now. Then, we find out that actually, Kazehaya wasn’t really in on the prank, that he was working with Sawako all along, and that as a kid he had a problem spelling and reading and got teased a lot too, and he transformed himself into someone popular just to make his revenge more satisfying.

33. Frost says:

What a disappointment this turned out to be… It keeps getting worse

Couldnt watch through this episode, so here is another dropped anime for Fall… I think he only anime Im still watching is Darker than Black, hurray!

Wtf? After the crap that was episodes 4-6, they still have to go and get yet another love triangle and misunderstanding started? I thought Kurumi wasnt gonna be your evil bitch antagonist, but I was wrong

This might have worked if it was the first anime I ever saw, but now its just a waste of my time

34. Kuni says:

You see what happens when you blog a twilight like series. You get commenter like the ones here trying their hardest to defend something that is just average and pretty much the exact same as many shoujo’s/romance that have been done before.
    TO you people taking offence, deal with it. Thats what a blog is about, bloggers stating how they feel, and obviously this show turned out to be crap, nothing above the average romance.
    And don’t spout this crap that its the first school life, romance, shoujo to appeal to all both female and males. There are plently of shoujo’s that have been very succesful without being the typical fake school life formula

35. Shinmaru says:

Personally, I agree with you. The show to me is best when it is easygoing and emphasizes the characters growing up together; the two big drama arcs have fallen really flat, I think. They’re just really clumsy — the only really enjoyable part has been the cracks in Kurumi’s armor. It’s funny when she has to force herself to keep up her golden image. All her other deviousness is just getting tiresome, though.

36. riddle says:

place a couple of shojou themed story lines out there, make it into an anime and WHAMP! girls would be squeling over it. like twilight, bloody stupid book, don’t even get me started on why i hate it. Kimi na todeke was spoiled by crappy anime story tellings and stupid male lead character. and why, why tell me why must the girl always fall in love with the stupid dull boy first AND why must there always be love traingles

37. Machi says:

While I’m certainly no fan of the series I would just like to point out that the whole “love triangle” aspect people keep complaining about is nothing more than a passing episode. If anything its just the series trying to go into the conventions of any high school romance, i.e. there needs to be a love triangle arc (much like how we have ecchi shows with the convention of hotspring/beach arcs).

While comparing it to Twilight may need better contextualizing, in this case its just the POPULARITY and yes DEPTH that could be akin to it but certainly not the other aspects especially its catering to young teen women.

Moving on I do disagree with the points raised by its fans/devils advocate. For one I fail to see how anyone could label the interactions of characters as “natural”. Case in point already is this episode to show just how “unnatural” or a better word would be fairy tale-esque interactions. Face it Kurumi and Sawako’s interractions are anything but natural, would anyone actually try to befriend their love rival who tried to sabotage them or even pursue talking to them to the point of confessing to them (I think not). Sure you can say its in her extremely sweet and innocent personality but thats exactly why I call it almost fairy tale-esque because such a personality is far too pure and exagerrated to be anything natural but definitely a shoe in for fantasies or fairy tales. Hell another case in point is how Sawako made friends with Chizu and Yano, seriously the way they suddenly made friends like that was definitely not natural nor are their interactions.

Now this is precisely why the charm that others are so enamored with fails, to connect to what appears from the posts above, with a larger audience than I expected including psgels (myself included). I don’t see myself adhering to the suspension of disbelief required by the series in accepting its exaggerations on Sawako or Kazehaya, cmon ITS SO DAMN OBVIOUS THAT KAZEHAYA LIKES SAWAKO YET YOU SUDDENLY GET THROWN IN STARTING WITH THIS ARC THAT SAWAKO IS DENSE (when clearly that was less pronounced in previous stories). So rather than charmed one in the end feels frustrated with the series. Thing is its not just a matter of suspension of disbelief but also the weaker side of the story telling.

For one as I mentioned last post with this series I still fail to see WHY Sawako is trying to hard to be “normal”. When clearly being “normal” is being sheep or mindless much like her classmates who follow every word of Kazehaya around. I mean fitting in is quite a normal thing in most animes and mangas but in this series it doesn’t appear at all appealing considering how mindless and cardboard the class is, its quite devoid of personality and no wonder Kazehaya reigns supreme over them all.

Then you have the sudden conversions of characters, Yano and Chizu are the case in point for that, that are far too quick that it does appear effortless to gain their friendship. Or if not characters say events, as this episode would show with things turning around way too quickly to Kurumi’s disadvantage.

These are just some of my gripes regarding the series.

38. Kiseki says:

I fail at arguing, so I won’t bother.
    I love watching Kimi ni Todoke because…it just makes me feel warm and happy. I’ve been able to laugh and cry (though this started only after watching Cross Game) while watching anime, but this is probably the first that just makes me smile.

Also, please review Ashita no Nadja. Maybe it’s because I don’t hear about it much, but I find it underrated. D: (The manga can burn in the depths of hell for all I care though.)

39. shao says:

I was going to comment here for the first time, but Machi already took the words right out of my mouth.

40. Michelle says:

So when do the rest of the episodes air from this point on? Is it really airing in Japan at this moment…??Please get back to me with the info guys, i appreciate it ;)

41. Michelle says:

and if any of you know any good romantic comedies of anime…please send ur suggestions my way!

42. Ladholyman says:

Looks like this show really isn’t your cup of tea. I recommend dropping it.

If watching this show doesn’t give you a fuzzy feeling, then you are only wasting your time.

However, I think this is one of the best shows of 2009.

43. nitaipriya says:

ahhh i wish you hadn’t given up on this series :) .. really ep 13 is one of the few times an anime made me spontaneously laugh out loud while no one else is around. it was great ^^

44. madoka says:

So I just started watching the show yesterday and I’m up to episode 12 now. I checked in to see if the show was covered here. I’m surprised by the drama.

I can understand why someone would dislike the show. Especially when that person lacks empathy toward what the main character is going through.

Yeah the Twilight comment is WAYYY over exaggerating. Instead of judging the show’s popularity, just judge the show. Getting frustrated about what other people think is wasting time.

@Amagi: for reccomendation, if you don't mind another cute girls in a post-apocalyptic world show, you can try Sora no Woto (Sound of the sky). I love that show to bits
But I'm not entirely sold on the show yet. I feel the relationships are a tad too heavy-handed. The light hearted tones don't work well for me but I really feel a From the New world's vibe from the show
@Amagi: I will talk about Children of the Whales here in the chatbox since we don't cover it. Damnit the cliffhanger. That series really focuses on the theme of repress their own feelings. From the children in the Mud Whales with their custom of not to cry in the funeral or their lacing their hands to express their gratitude. Episode 2 has that monster who basically eats others emotions
And by extension, I would hope that it would encourage adaptations of older fantasy manga aswell.
I really hope this type of fantasy will become a new trend instead of the classical world of warcraft type of isekai
There is just something really atmospherical about a few characters exploring an unknown world alone that is either almost or entirely devoid of humans or just weird like in Kino's Journey.
Shuumatsu Shoujou, Houseki, Kino 2017 and Children of the Whales are shaping up to become my favorites this season. It's funny that they have so much in common, same with Made in Abyss, which also was my favorite of the last season.
@Kaiser, well there were fellows down in cork that decided to go Kite Surfing. They had to send out a boat to rescue the dumb bastards.
@Aidan: I saw that there were some profoundly stupid people ignoring the warnings, some guy even decided to go out swimming despite it.
I am in some ways both relieved and disappointed.
Well I got the day off work and the only thing that happened was that it was a bit windy. Wasn't really a big deal to be honest.
Whats the word on your end Aidan with regards to the Hurricane?
And of course raging bull, a rare case where I watched a film twice.
Y'know I've always, apart from Creed, ignored the Rocky sequels despite enjoying the first one, not really into watching a billion followups to a film. Films about fighters seem to connect with me, I got alot out of warrior, southpaw and Rocky.
I was surprised by how well Ancient Magus Bride was able to sell to me the naturalness of Elia's skull head, and the falseness of his conjured human head. Well done.
I do love a good boxing anime. Both Ashita no Joe and Hajime no Ippo are great, though for different reasons.
Simply put, unlike Hajime no Ippo. Ashita no Joe, also was mainly about Joe, living in a poor rural town, struggling to make a living, and boxing came out as something that gave him meaning. Instead of the typical shounen of "becoming the best".
I think it's bold when someone announced they want to make something like "the next Rocky". Since that's apparently what I get from this announcement. https://manga.tokyo/news/original-anime-megalo-box-inspired-by-ashita-no-joe-announced-for-spring-2018/
CJayTiii
Just watched Heaven's Feel Part 1 at the movie theater last night. DEAR LORD the animation was flawless. I honestly thought they nailed the calmer scenes a lot better than UBW as well. The wait for part 2 is gonna be brutal...
Isekai isn't even bad, it's just that it became the worst case of formularic wish fulfillment masturbation nowadays. I actually wish we would get more proper isekai anime again, especially if it's some scifi or time travel stuff for once
You know thinking about it, Muv Luv Alternative could be considered a deconstruction of Isekai before Isekai was even a thing. After all it actually has the elements of of Isekai.
Gonna do up a review of the trilogy. Though first I need to post that Subahibi review I have had sitting in my Google docs. Twas waiting till we got the impressions done with.
@Amagi, I remember checking out Muv Luv and not being too impressed about it. When i cheeked out Alternative years ago I was blown away by how good it was. Usually VNs have moments of downtime where it can get boring no matter how good they are. But Alternative just had you from start to finish.
@Aidan: Muv Luv Alt is one of the best VNs I've read. I am happy I always avoided spoilers before. The only thing I knew was that it gets heavy around chapter 6 or 7.
@Mario: Thanks for letting me know before I bothered booking for it.
@Kaiser: the plot doesn't make sense. As the story progresses, it gets weirder, the visual goes wilder and the ending doesn't wrap up much. I might need to watch the live-action version
@Mario: See you rated fireworks 3 1/2, what did you think of it?
@Aidan: I suppose, same to you, hopefully you'll be alright.
@Anon: It was designed by Marta Akermann : https://friendist.deviantart.com/
Can I get where the banner is from?
I know there were 18 deaths back in the mid eighties when a storm struck here back then.
Seems that it will be at its worst in the west, that said I'm living in Dublin in the east so I'll probably get away with a power cut for a while. Thankfully I'm not back in work until Thursday and I won't be going anywhere tomorrow.
Also Careful Kaiser, I hear we got a hurricane heading our way tomorrow.
@Kaiser, Can't say I do. I got into anime around the time it was getting put on the internet. And I only started buying anime when I got a job. Now I got a whole bookcase of Blu-rays.
@Aidan: Remember back in the 90s when we didn't have all region dvd players and everything got released on region 1?
@Kaiser, I checked though. Seems the screenings are strictly US for Heavens Feel. Sort of like how Grand Order isn't released for Europe either. Also took goddamn ages to get the Blu-Rays of UBW too. Aniplex just seems to hate us for some reason.
Dublin city university has/had an anime club.
These are all one time only things though.
@Aidan: Eh....on rare occasions the Eye cinema in Galway and the Lighthouse in Dublin do screenings . Eiretakon has re-formed as J-con in Dublin and they do screenings.
Playing Muv Luv Alternative and I just made it pass a certain infamous scene. Honestly...I thought seeing as I knew it was coming that it wouldn't hit that hard. But even after all these years...it still gives me chills.
@Amagi, Could be worse. There are no screenings in Ireland so the wait is a hell of a lot longer for me.
I'll likely be checking out Lu over the wall in early December.
I am really looking forward to that new movie from the Tekkonkinkreet guy and Heaven's Feel but both screenings only happen in February so this will sadly still take a while.
Aah, I just missed the only screening of In the Corner of the World at my local cinema (it comes as part of a film festival, guess I will watch the pirated version then). Thankfully they screened Firework anime so I'm going to watch it. Now
I intend to still give Dies Irea another chance. don't know if it's worth it thou
Maybe those kidscheated half of the way because no one can WALK faster than me :)
The animation continues to be quite poor and its only getting 15 episodes.
Though I could definitely have seen my German Ex offended by it.
Y'know I never even cared enough to think that people would be this offended by Dies Irae, it would be like being offended by the Naziploitation elements in hellsing . I find both far too silly to be in anyway offensive.
But in all seriousness, good that you keep up the exercise. I walk pretty much everywhere.
@Mario: Little fiends likely taking performance enhancing drugs, know to poison them next beforehand =P
Still finished in a first half but 35 minutes for 5km is something I wasn't to proud of. Damnit.
Well, just finished a running event. The race was just 5 kilometer so I was aiming to run all the way. Ended up walking 1/3 of the way and lose to some 12 year old kids... I'm getting old, really!
@Anon, That was a stupid move on their part. Still I prefer to judge a game based on the quality of the product and not outside circumstances.
yooka laylee is okay but i hate it because they removed jontrons voice
new Altair OP is better than old Altair OP. But old ED is better than new. Man I really am sad Altair cannot have the 100_ episodes of LOGH. Because of that they really have to rush the story to make the politics work, but at same time rushing it undermines the story integrity. Which is a pity. I really think if Altair had the LOGH treatment, it would be a stupendous tale of politics.
I got that with Yooka Laylee which I thought was a decent fun game. However the internet has determined it to be a flaming trash pile of a game. I even have a friend who never played the game but bashes it purely because it's so hated.
While I understand the point, and have indeed watched stuff both psgel and the current writers have not given a high score too, generally speaking our tastes are complimentary. In a world of scarce time and quite a lot of stress over things like work or relationships, I will take the cognitive short-cuts I can for my hobbies, and FOMO be damned! :)
That may actually be quite the common occurrence as internet opinion tends to veer to extremely positive or extremely negative. Something can't simply be good, it most be amazing. Somehting can't be passable either, it has to be garbage.
@Anon, I agree with that. In truth you can only really judge something when you have seen it yourself. I will even admit that mine and likely the others reviews of Imouto are a bit of Hyperbole. It's really not the most terrible thing I have ever seen. Actually I would say Dynamic cord was worse.
(i already found some nice things i would have neglected otherwise or deemed worthless based on reviews/seasonal previews etc)
So i concluded that even if those people were writing good reviews and had somewhat compatible tastes with me, were nice and intelligent people overall in the end it did not mattered that much. while others' opinions are helpful, my own taste is the only thing i can really trust. so watching everything it is
I used to chose my shows based on reviews from people i trust, this site included, but then i just started trying out everything and - shocking, i know - suddenly i liked things others did not. or vice versa, which were a possibility even before.
Thats why I only really watch/checked out things that piqued my interest. Was gonna do it anyways, so why not write about i
SuperWooper
Comprehensive sampling does have its benefits, though. Animegataris is a show I wouldn't have touched on my own, but it was quite watchable.
SuperWooper
@Kaiser, I agree that only the better-looking shows need to be previewed, but being a new recruit, I can't exactly influence the long-standing Star Crossed policy of giving everything a shot.
@anon1477190: that moment you mentioned about Kino losing her cool was good, but then they followed up on the obvious exposition about the couple which I felt was heavy-handed.
I bring that up mainly because I don't want to see any of the writers getting burned out/demotivated/having their time wasted.
Guys it must be incredibly time consuming to watch some of these obviously from the outset bottom of the barrel shows you know will be awful and you'll never cover, I doubt anyone would have complained if you didn't mention Imouto Ireba.
The ending was good, but leading up to it was sort of dull
Agreed on how Kino felt this week. What really got me though was how she held the gun. That bugged me in those pov shots
Eh, I'm not keen to go over old material, I'll just watch the new Kino stories.
@Mario: I get claustrophobic sometimes, so Haze by Tsukamoto Shinya was fucking un-comfortable =P
@Mario: Ganja and hess, Die Farbe, Texas chainsaw 2, shop of horrors and AM 1200 stood out best.
*I will admit that I enjoyed the ending bit a little more though. Something about Kino throwing that big rock was moving somehow, especially with how stoic she normally is, haha.
I was a bit disappointed by Kino this week. I actually enjoyed the original Colosseum, but more for some of the individual fights rather than the conflict with the main antagonist. So the speed with which they went through them wasn't my favorite thing.
@Kaiser: haha, sounds fun. Any good horror worth reccomending?
Tried doing that horror 30 horror movies in Autumn challenge thing, fun times but bloody exhausting.
I will finally be getting on to magus bride SOON.
Just try not to compare any of his works to yi yi and you'll be fine. Pity we lost him too soon.
I'm meaning to watch Terrorizers for quite a while now. You beat me to it again. So it's that good huh??
@Mario: I did end up re-watching terrorizers and finishing it this time, never ever have I bee so wrong to initially under-estimate a director or film, the second half massively improves the film and comes together perfectly.
@Mario: ...conditions are very hard to get right on screen, it almost ends up being horribly sappy. This is why when I saw Moon-so-ri's performance in Oasis I was so surprised by how excellent she depicted her characters disability, to where if I didn't know better I'd have sworn it was for real.
@Kaiser: and sometimes they take an "artistic liberty" to change the real stories to make it more dramatic. Case in point, I was so moved by A Beautiful Mind until I read it that the main guy doesn't have those issues in real life. Felt deeply manipulated
@Mario: Largely due to and not helped by the fact most biopics are over two hours long.
@Kaiser: glad you enjoyed Loving Vincent. I'm a bit worried about its story to be honest since it's a biopic and sometimes biopic can be so dry like a powerpoint presentation about someone's life
WE DEMAND THE 20 MINUTES BACK
Stupid imouto anime....bullying Aidan and Mario.
*their
Why must all artistic/creative be so out of there minds =<
@Mario: I saw Loving Vincent, I knew very little about the man himself before seeing, but this did an alright job of introducing the viewer to who he was, the voice acting/script is slightly stilted but in the end it works as a vehicle to get from one nicely rendered/animated scene to the next and its worth looking at for 90 minutes .
@Puran: that story from Kino was one of my least favorite from 2003 version. This week they changed quite a bit of details, most notably they speed through the gladiator fights. The result... well... average for me
That book seems to have a tv show adaptation.
I actually have been meaning to read Jonathan Strange an Mr.Norrel.. Might put it next on my reading list.
Puran
(and, I thought the old one handled the story much better...)
Puran
New Kino ep was a remake of a story in the old anime... It's really not helping me in trying to avoid comparing the two series.
SuperWooper
@KTravlos, you like Jonathan Strange? Good taste, my man.
I watched the Ancient Magus Bride OVA after your suggestions. It was very nice. A mix of Howl's Moving Castle and Jonathan Strange an Mr.Norrel. I will definitely follow this series. Thank you.
@Mario: lol I go once a week if I can.
@Mario: I suppose it would be more sand on glass animation: [link src="https://letterboxd.com/director/caroline-leaf/
@Travlos: I liked the Dragon Dentist. Loved its art but yeah the story is unfocused and the characters aren't those that I consider deep
@Kaiser: well, yep animation techniques can be really diverse and I did a good deal of research about them. For sand animation, do you refer to the sand performing art? I would love to see that type have a proper animation but there is a debate of whether or not it can be considered as "animation"
@Kaiser: haha you're lucky. Now that when I think about that, despite considered myself a film fan I haven't stepped to the cinema for 6 months now. Shame on me!
@Aidan: Is it possible to make it so we can alter our profile pages on the site, so as to be able to add a short bio or top ten list of our favourite shows/manga?
Ah, excellent loving vincent is showing tomorrow at my local cinema.
When you think about it, I love how varied animation can actually be....I've even come across salt and sand animation.
Nuuuu I missed my chance to see body and soul. I am very much looking forward to Kim-ki-duks new film.
@Kaiser: to be more exact, Petrov uses painting on glass. Loving Vincent will be painting on paper. But yeah, no real difference there
My god. Typo here.Russia is very *quick*. Yep, I'm looking forward for Loveless, despite its grim premise
@Mario: Aleksandr Petrov uses similar animation techniques.
@Kaiser: In the end of this month I will get around to watch On Body and Soul (which have great hype no matter where I read) and an infamous Chinese adult animation Have a Nice Day
@Kaiser: I swear Russia is really weak when it comes to their movies availabled in the high sea. Yep, if you can, watch Loving Vincent. At least the painting animation is a can't miss
@Vonter: i am looking for the Junti Itou's adaptations as well. But I think it most likely will be inconsistent. Just hope they manage to get the creepy feeling right
@Aidan: Itou has also worked on a non-horror manga called Yuukoku no Rasputin.
@Vonter, The thing that needs to be perfected is getting Junti Itou's artstyle animated. The thing that truly makes his works shine is the art. Still it would be nice to see an animated version of The Enigma of Amigara Fault.
@Mario: been delving further into Edward Yang, next is the terrorizers, Taipei story is a bit difficult to get into at first and it does feel like a trial run but it come into itself much better by its second half.
@Mario: There is a Russian torrent of The Loveless (2017) floating around, we may see this sooner than expected if it gets subbed. Also remind me, was it you that recommended me to see the animated film Loving Vincent?
@Vonter: I really hope they properly animate them as 20 minute episodes and not as 8-10 minute shorts with picture show animation.
There's gonna be an anime of Junji Itou's short stories. Hopefully since there's gonna be several instead of one story, one or two of those are done well. The CGI really took from the atmosphere in Gyo, maybe stories with less scope can be crafted with more care. http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2017/08/09-1/teaser-site-for-tv-anime-junji-ito-collection-opens-for-winter-2018-premiere
I saw the Dragon Dentist. Interesting but weird. I felt like there were two shows in there. A great magic show and a great war shows, but forcing them together denied each its full potential.
KT here. Since Aidan is not the state, accusations of violating freedom of speech are meaningless. You have no right to his time or tolerance. You are giving too many chances Aidan IMHO. Ban and be done with it.
@Anon(FakePsgels), the only reason you can post again is because I only gave you a day ban. But believe me, I can make it much longer. Three strikes, try impersonating Psgels again and you will get a week ban. Strike three is a permanent ban. So just try it. Test me.
Lordish_Kvadratish
Somehow the site is good again :D. I had been visiting daily when Psgels was writing, and when he left I felt disappointed and stopped. And now I like it again for some reason. Good place on the internet. Thank You.
It's not like we need this site to survive mate, so get off his case
Aidan-kun....stop whining. You should be grateful you even get to use this site at all. Threatening to ban someone just because your mad is pure fascism.
That's something I wondered about as well. It would have been a good opportunity to change her costume a bunch of times. I am not a fan of characters always wearing the same stuff, especially if there is no concrete reason for doing so.
And I assume that everytime Nina transforms, she loses her clothes, right? So why the hell does she still wear the same costume afterwards?? Someone picked up for her no matter where she goes?????
The kill-arc makes sense narratively, but makes no damn sense logically (all the badass characters were there for Christ sake). Kaisar... don't even know what to feel.
Okay, trying to sum up how I feel about Virgin Soul now: I liked both Nina and Amira, the screwed up Charioce's character (remember he was a devil-hating fasscist who kills demons at sights or pit them against each others gladiator-wise). The cost of Nina's boice got me, not so much for Charioce's eyesight. My fav girl Rita doesn't have enough development
@Kaiser: Newer CG looks pretty good and I once hated CG. But Kado showed how good it can be and anime are constantly improving. Houseki has a lot of issues but the facial expressions are more than I usually see in anime. Can't wait to see how Inuyashiki is.
Yeah same here. I actually think they used this guy well, most anime don't have the balls to make someone evil for real and even kill him if he was a somewhat good guy at first. It's why that one scene surprised me and the death too. I was sure it was just one of these silly development episodes at first.
Likely due to not having to deal with bad art and framing of the manga I felt houseki was comparatively easier to watch.
Ah yes, Assland. Hated him. But I loved his relationship with Dias. Nina was great though.
Also that sudden kill-arc kinda got me (you know who I mean) - there are a bunch of story related things I could complain about but I wish more anime had the quality of that series regarding action, pacing and characters. I really loved almots everybody there except of those we weren't supposed to love (expecially that damn blonde knight guy)
I have to admit that I liked Nina way more than Amira and I prefered the chemistry between most characters in s2 of Bahamut, especially Kaisar and Favaro.
Eh. Blindness is a small price to pay for what he did, though his eyes and Nina's voice made an interesting communication problem between the two of them.
I am sure Nina will give it. But I felt ok with how things turned out.
@Super. Let us see in December for the Altair review. And yes both shows proved rather ok, but also pedestrian.

@Lenlo. I thought it would happen but for some reason saw it as a cope-out. With Charioce. He did not get a happy ending. Politically it made sense , and the reforms made sense, but I mean his personal cost is not exactly small. Dont get me wrong. I think he deserved some more drubbing.
I thought Kaisars ending was appropriate to him. Not sure how I feel about Charioce getting a happy ending though
hmmm, Virgin Soul and Re:Creators sadly are the 2 shows that I watched in completion but have virtually nothing to say about them. They're good enough that I didn't drop it but never raised above something that I find myself emerge to
@Travlos: I won't turn down the generous offer that you might give Altair a full review if you still follow it. So make sure you manage to finish it ^^
indeed. But I felt the ending was not too bad. I am iffy about the Kaisar thing, but I felt the political ending, and the result for our two love-birds was fair.
Had lots of issues, but I still liked it
Finally finished Virgin Soul. Loved that ending
@Kaiser: yeah, the thing is... I'm kinda into the handheld action set piece in Bourne franchise
Granted Garo and Juni still do appeal alot to me both because they remind me of exploitative trash I love =P

Houseki no Kuni – 02 [Diamond]

Note: due to the fact that the whole cast of Houseki is agender and I DO care about the issue, I will address them either by their name or by gender neutral pronoun. But do forgive me if sometimes the old habit gets the better of me. You readers, on the other hand, can address […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 2 [One Today is Worth Two Tomorrows]

Welcome to the Fall Season everyone! Let me introduce you to Mahoutsukai no Yome, a piece about a young woman made a Magus’s apprentice and future bride. The first week introduced us to our main characters and some basics of the world. This week sets up our first arc, gives us more information about the […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 14[Prayer of Salvation]

An action focused episode and as such I have very little I can say about it. Considering that Avicebron was more about brains than brawn it’s rather odd to see him get taken down like this. In a way I find this to be a big heel turn for him as I originally took him […]

Girls’ Last Tour – 02 [Bath – Journal – Laundry]

Here’s for the most comfort food of this season. One thing you will notice when watching this show: despite its dark, post-apocalyptic settings, Girls’ Last Tour is a slice-of-life moe show at its heart. There will be no deep implication of the dark world, and those girls will not develop much by the end. But […]

Juuni Taisen – 02 [Tricks Both Mongrel and Fowl]

A Battle Royale anime is something that have been done numerous times before: Mirai Nikki, Btoom!!, last year’s Magical Girl Raising Project… It’s such a delicious meal that it’s hard not to have fun when players try to outsmart the others or think of a creative way to kill each other. Juuni Taisen so far […]

The Reflection Review – 45/100

The Reflection – 12 [The Reflection]

Welcome to the final episode of The Reflection. This week is both the best and worst episode of the season, with highs and lows, in both animation and story. Rather than my usual fare of just walking through the episode bit by bit though, I am going to try something different. We are going to […]

Ballroom e Youkoso – 13/14 [Matchmaking/Coupled]

The unstoppable Anime Catch-up Train continues with a Ballroom doubleheader. These two episodes weren’t aired on the same day like 4 and 5 from the previous cour, but they might as well have been, given the way they complimented one another. Chinatsu has stolen not only the spotlight, but every bulb in the damn house […]

Made in Abyss – 13[The Challengers]

Normally when I finish a series I take a moment to think back on it and try to imagine just how I would make it better. Maybe better pacing or removing a certain character or story arc that went nowhere or just improving the animation at certain points. But with Made in Abyss I tried […]

The Reflection Review – 45/100