Posted by psgels on 23 December 2009 with categories: Kimi ni Todoke

This episode was… tedious to sit through. It was basically just Kurumi trying to get a love triangle started, which is probably going to be worthless in the next episode when everyone realizes that it was just a misunderstanding. Agh, it’s like Itazura na Kiss all over, but without the funny parts.

Let me list a bunch of shoujo-series that actually did get the love triangle right (Minor spoilers included):
Bokura ga Ita: mainly worked because the love rival got fed up with the indecisiveness of the lead male, which was a huge theme of the series.
Kodomo no Omocha: worked because we actually see both the lead male and female go through other relationships with other people, while it’s actually the distance between them, created by the lead female’s job as an idol that prevents them from hooking up, rather than the ditzy love rivals being the sole reason.
Ashita no Nadja: we actually see the lead female hanging out with other guys without it suddenly creating a huge drama.

On top of that, we also have shoujo-series as Glass Mask, DNAngel and Full Moon wo Sagashite in which the romances work because of their realism and the way they let their relationships progress naturally. Not in the forced way that Kimi ni Todoke has been doing for the past twelve episodes…

I’m interested to see the other sides of the story, though. I’ve heard quite a few arguments why this show is popular, but those all seemed to come from the ones who didn’t like it. When I look at various blogs, all I see is squealing over various characters, but for the past months I’ve hardly seen any people who liked this show and came with valid reasons.

Sure, that might just been me, looking at the wrong places, but still: fans of Kimi ni Todoke, enlighten me! What makes this show so great that it deserves such a high score on various anime sites? What was so good about this series that everyone vote for it here? Or is this really just another Twillight which has tons of squealing fangirls who like it just because of the hot guys and sparkles?

Whether I’m going to drop this show at the start of the Winter-Season, I don’t know yet. Because Aoi Bungaku, Darker than Black, Erin, Konnichiwa Anne, Kuchuu Buranko, Umineko and White Album are going to be ending all within a week, this means that I need to find seven new bloggable shows among the line-up of the upcoming Winter-season. Which is a lot during such a small season. However, if number eight does pop up, then expect to see this show in the dropped-list.

Right now, this show is just… too convenient. Sawako doesn’t really have to work hard for her newfound popularity. She gets protected everywhere, and her exaggeratedly weird personality makes sure that all the bad guys’ plans go wrong. At first I praised this series because it showed outcasts as they try to live back into society, but that’s not even what this series is about. We’ve just got another Mary Sue here where the entire plot revolves around. Sure, Sawako has flaws, but all those flaws seem to be more and more used in favour of her, rather than creating her as a character.
Rating: — (Lacking)

1. Kim says:

I already dropped this series. I don’t think it’s bad just not good enough for me to keep watching.

As for the shoujo with the best love triangles try Princess Tutu (I know I have told you to watch this before). It’s not typical at all and works out wonderfully in the end.

Although not shoujo I also love how Rumiko Takahashi handles her love triangles in Maison Ikkoku. Which is one of the best anime/manga romcoms out there.

2. Matt says:

I like it because i really like the characters… I thought it was hilarious how ticked off Kurumi with her naitivity…

I will probably keep watching it, but this better be it for the love triangles… I can see them using the first one to set up the characters more, especially the friendships… I can understand this one because of the lasting love Kurumi has for him. But any more and i will probably drop it. But i enjoy the animation, the writing, and the characters… So, it will be a tough one for me to drop..

3. Acylia says:

What I’m actually more interested in now, in Kimi ni Todoke, is Sanada and Chizu, as I actually find them more interesting as characters… Kazehaya and Sawako are… cute, I guess. But I kind of got tired of them. I actually started watching KnT because it sort of brightened up my week. But there are definetly better shows out there.

But I do respect and understand why you feel like this about the series. The sparkles are way overdone. I’m probably going to keep watching, though. :) Thanks for blogging this far, anyway! ^^

4. Sarah says:

Compared to a lot of shoujo, Kimi Ni Todoke isn’t anything special but is defiantly a good series. I think some of it’s strong points is it’s ability to incorporate its side characters as well as take a slower and more simplistic approach to the story line.

Bokura Ga Ita for example, was a good series but often got over taken by too much angst and drama. Kimi Ni Todoke I agree isn’t a series to rave about but it’s entertaining that’s all I can say :)

5. lesterf1020 says:

I don’t know why you need someone to tell you why this is popular and I don’t know why you continue to blog this. You clearly don’t like it and none of its charms work on you. This isn’t your show. I don’t see a problem here.

You like many shows that most of the fan base and blogging community have no love for. Many people don’t understand how you can rate some of your shows so highly. So is it really a surprise that you might not get a show that lots of other people love?

Please drop this. It is looking like this is going to be a 24 ep series of more of the same. You are going to be cut and pasting your blog posts on this soon. If you were being witty and sarcastic and making fun of the show it might have been worth it but your slow death by befuddlement is just painful. Lots of others are blogging this so save your efforts for the good shows that few even know exist. I am enjoying your blogging on Kemono no Souja Erin.

6. theone says:

I have NO idea why guys watch shouju anime/read manga. . .whats so good about watching high school love bad visual cartoon dramas?

I love a lot of the Adult stuff that is out there (i.e aoi bunraku) I have no idea why there arent many of thoese shows that bloggers want to watch instead of the same old same old junk, random wimpy guy gets 5 girls around him, or love triangle with guys that either a)dont know how to get a girl or b)are soo horny AND stupid (its cool to be horny and smart) that the bang all the girls and cant be discreet about it (think school daze. . .i didnt watch it, I just read some blog posts here and there) with random obligatory panty shots, shower scenes, onsen scenes, more panty shots, guy seeing a girl naked by accident and blushing while she hits/yells at him, or *accidentally* falling on a girls giant tits or *accidentally* falling on top of a girl in a sexual position or vice versa. . .it sjust the same ol shitsakebap all over, wouldnt the blogosphere get tired of this? Or am I just too, old/manly/hetero??

Where the hell are all the adults blogging the nice mature adult shows? I swear the only blogger that blogs adult stuff is Psgels. . .and even then there are more shows on this site that should be replaced by more adult and mature type stuff, I wanna hear about more aoi bungakus, and kemono no erin, east of eden, guin sage type shows each season, much more than *panty shot harem heaven part 5000*

7. psgels psgels says:

theone: please, if there’s an adult show I missed this season, then let me know about them, because I’m looking for them as well. Also, the reason I watch shoujo is because of the good series in the genre. I’m not sure whether you’ve seen Ashita no Nadja, Glass Mask 2005 or Kodocha, but these shows really show how enjoyable this genre can be when done right.

lester: you have a good point, yeah. It’s not the worst show I’ve had to blog, but I’ve gotten tired of Kimi ni Todoke by now. My only question is whether or not something is going to show up in the next season that can replace it (eight good shows… that’s really going to be a close one).

8. Kanao says:

I agree with lester. You often prove that your tastes aren’t quite in-sync with ‘the norm’, loving shows that many find boring, so what is with all the complaining? If you hate it so much then please stop blogging it as you’ll only hurt other people’s enjoyment.

The reasons people like Kimi ni Todoke are relatively simple: it has charm, it’s sweet, the character interaction feels natural and makes you smile, Sawako’s progress somehow soothes some of life’s little frustrations and most importantly it’s entertaining. Entertainment value isn’t something you can explain well. A show can be a total train wreck and yet still remain very fun to watch each week (yes, most notably Code Geass R2). In a lot of ways I enjoy it for the exact same reasons as Cross Game.

Comparing KnT to Twilight with claims of “hot guys and sparkles” just because you don’t enjoy it is insulting and immature. KnT is popular among guys too, not just girls. Narrow-minded comments like that make me feel you should probably stop watching any shoujo anime. God knows that any other shoujo series has more than three guys (two of which do little but serve as comic relief). Also, I’m fairly sure girls aren’t obsessed with Twilight because of the sparkles, its just an element people make fun of because it happens to be pretty damn funny/stupid.

9. mds says:

yeah,I have pretty much same comment with Kanao about KnT.Compared to other shoujos full of reverse harem-ing,gender bender-ing,shounen-ai-ing,KnT is a rather refreshing one.It’s like enjoying shoujos like Fruits Basket/Shugo Chara (manga) for me (i’m a guy,and Furuba/Shugo Chara also has a lot of male fans..:) )

By the way,the next season’s preview sounded like it’ll be a dull one for you (full of ecchis and moeblobs…but I’m looking for OmaHima and soranowoto,by the way.It has only about 4-5 non moe/ecchi shows.) are you sure you’ll drop this?

Lastly..Cross Game has 39 episodes only.It’ll end in next episode,so you have 8 free slots..

10. m says:

The story of Kimi ni Todoke is intentionally upbeat. It’s an unrealistic tale of how teenage drama is worked out through mutual understanding. It makes no pretense at realism, and the mangaka basically beats you over the head with her motivations.

Still, I dropped the anime after a few episodes. Listening to Sawako talk was painful. I had to watch the first episode in pieces, because listening to her performance was so taxing. The manga is a quick read, so the absence of depth doesn’t bother me at all, and the uplifting nature of the story is sometimes just what you’re looking for. It’s like Chi’s Sweet Home in that I don’t want to watch twenty minutes of a kitten being cute, but watching a few episodes of Chi is pretty uplifting.

11. Kanao says:

“Lastly..Cross Game has 39 episodes only.”

Actually it’s continuing into next season so it’ll probably be around 50. Too many people seem to go by ANN’s list of episode titles – they only include the ones with official confirmation. ^^

“Sawako doesn’t really have to work hard for her newfound popularity.”

What? I watched the episode (just as great as usual by the way) and she isn’t ‘popular’. People are just noticing her a bit more as a human being now that they aren’t expected to avoid her. It’s not like classmates are inviting her to hang out, go to karaoke, shopping or anything. Can you really call someone popular just because a few people in class are willing to say ‘hello’? As usual, you’re determining flaws on your own.

“exaggeratedly weird personality”

She’s just incredibly honest and dense/innocent. Her personality isn’t that strange.

12. Kim says:

Cross Game is scheduled for 51 episodes

13. Maa says:

Personally I agree with the ones telling you to drop it. Not because I like it, but because that poll you held was obviously going to lead to you blogging a show like that since thats what the majority of anime/manga viewers seem enjoy, Romanace/School Life.

There hasn’t been one thing is this series that makes it anything above average and sure I guess the teen girls will love this stuff but it really isnt anything more than average.

I love this blog because most of the series you’ve rated high/reviwed, which many other bloggers failed to blog/review/, turned out to be absouletly amazing and greatly changed the type of animes I watch. This series just doesn’t fit in a blog of this caliber and belongs else where like RC.

14. Maa says:

I think your comparison with this to twilight was perfect. Sure it may just be another average story from a a genre thats largely overused, but they make it look good and sparkly, and it appeals to the masses. Sure there are guy fans to twilight too but what do you think the majority of the fans and what makes it so popular are, teenage females. Just like this anime, how the majoirty of female teens would prefer romance/school life.

15. tsotha says:

Same here, except for me it’s Chizu and Ayane. Whereas Sawako and Kazehaya are pretty one-dimensional, with Chizu and Ayane you get some richness and subtlety. They’re both really likable, the kind of friends you wish you had in high school. I would love to see a spin-off with these two characters going off to college or transferring schools.

The scene with Ayane and Kurumi sent chills up my spine – that could get interesting if they handle it well.

I can’t decide yet if Sanada is interesting in his own right or just as a love interest for Chizu. He didn’t really get much dialog until this episode.

16. Sapphire says:

“The reasons people like Kimi ni Todoke are relatively simple: it has charm, it’s sweet, the character interaction feels natural and makes you smile, Sawako’s progress somehow soothes some of life’s little frustrations and most importantly it’s entertaining.” – Kanao

I agree with this, entirely. Even though there are shoujo series way better than KnT, I think it does a nice job at being what it’s supposed to be: a sweet story between two innocent teenagers finding love for the first time. The fact that both Kazehaya and Sawako are clueless does make it a bit annoying sometimes, but it would be out of character for them to be forward.

Also I disagree when you say that their relationship is progressing in a forced way. Actually I think it couldn’t be more natural, since they’re slowly getting to know each other and their own feelings.

The only thing that’s bugging me about KnT is the fact that they’re taking too much time on something that could be dealt with in one/two episodes. I’ll keep watching it anyway though, since I’m curious to see how Kazehaya and Sawako’s relationship is going to evolve, as well as Ryu and Chizu’s.

Psgels, if you don’t want to blog KnT, don’t force yourself. I was one of the people who voted for it and I love to read your reviews, but I can’t say I’m enjoying the ones you write for KnT since they always feel like they were written as a chore.

17. Charlie says:

I think your retarded hahah
    everything you just said is completely inaccurate, Kurumi wasn’t trying to get a love triangle started, she was trying to stop one from getting started. She likes him and doesn’t want Sawako in the way. This is an amazing show with the best characters I’ve seen. I guess this show only appeals to people who can comprehend the depths of peoples emotions.
    Did you honestly just say DNangel has a more realistic take on romance than Kimi ni Todoke???? That is probably the funniest thing I’ve ever heard, I think you need to get out of the house a little more, cause guys flying down into your house and kissing you out of the blue typically doesn’t happen in real life hahahah.

18. Kanao says:

“since thats what the majority of anime/manga viewers seem enjoy, Romanace/School Life.”

No offense intended but damn you’re being delusional. If you had ever paid attention to the anime-fansub community you’d know that Kimi ni Todoke may just be the first romance shoujo anime to generate such mass-appeal among everyone, not just girls. This is pretty impressive when you consider that there appear to be many more guys than girls in this particular ‘community’. The ones with any interest in Japanese culture seem to be much more active in the live-action and manga communities. And they also seem to prefer livejournal to the ‘Anime Blogosphere’.

“I think your comparison with this to twilight was perfect.”

Once again someone who doesn’t have a clue what they’re talking about. Don’t respond unless you’ve watched these (protip – they prove just how bad Twilight is): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L253VLwH3w

19. Jessi says:

De-lurking to hopefully provide some insight into why people might like the show (and if not, I apologize in advance).

I watch the series weekly in a mixed-gender group (3 guys, 4 girls) and everyone is enjoying it. I think that perhaps the reasoning behind this is that, while much of the show feels very typical of the shoujo genre, it’s just slightly off from people’s expectations and those little elements of surprise seem to really engage the group.

Perhaps what I personally find most enjoyable is Sawako, since she’s such an atypical shoujo heroine. I can’t tell you how sick I am of female leads being either bimbos or tsunderekko. Sawako may be unrealistically naive, but she’s also earnest and sweet. Where your typical female lead would want to seek vengeance, Sawako genuinely just wants people to understand. She assumes the best in people and doesn’t expect them to manipulate her. I find that appealing about her.

The supporting characters are also engaging because, as my husband put it, they’re people that he would like to know and with whom he’d like to hang out. I especially like Yano and Yoshida, because they’re also misunderstood in their own way, judging by how easily rumors about them being a slut and a delinquent spread throughout the student body.

I also have to give some credit to the background artwork in this series which is just beautifully colored and feels warm. Our group often gets a giggle out of the copious shoujo bubbles, but I think that the use of those visual tropes coupled with the unusually high-quality visual elements sums up what gives the show its broad appeal; it embraces the typical aspects of the shoujo genre and also one-ups them in certain ways, making its characters a bit different and having them react to typical shoujo-genre situations in slightly different manners than one might expect.

But, if you don’t like it, you don’t like it, and there’s nothing wrong with that. I will echo the sentiment from some other commenters that it might be time to stop blogging the show, especially if it’s become a chore.

20. naixil says:

seriously, if you really don’t like it, why bother blogging just because your poll says it’s one of the top series to watch and blog in Fall?

stop antagonizing those of us who actually love the show for its simplicity.

because come on, it’s a high school setting. do you seriously think there’s so much backstabbing and hidden motives like adult series?

so really.

stop blogging this, and save all of us the agony.

21. PL says:

as one of those rare Western anime fans in their thirties, I can tell you that backstabbing and hidden motives were MUCH more common when I was in high school than they are in the adult world that most of us live in. While my relationships in high school were always complex things with daily betrayals and alliances taking place in a complex social milleiu by teenagers so otherwise unengaged they filled their time and directed their libidos at pointless coming-of-age rituals, seemingly inane group traditions and an otherwise disgusting game of social behavior that only a few could ever play really well. In the adult world, relationships have more depth, but people also tend to value honesty, loyalty and sincerity more, and one becomes judged not so much by how you are but by who you are. There is much less deciet, backstabbing, etc. A show about high school depicted innocently is what is unrealistic.

22. Glass says:

I believe I just watch it because it’s cheerful and cute and makes you feel better… yeah, some episodes were a drag to watch, but at some moments it feels like school all over again.

BTW, Kazehaya is finally getting some character development…

23. tsotha says:

Where did you go to high school? Where I come from high school girls are the most vicious, backstabbingist creatures on the face of the earth.

24. wtfblog says:

People like it because people like it

25. wtfblog says:

The very likely reason for liking (and yes I overuse like) this show is all the innocence it brings out. It shows how things really happen all without going into a casually perfect world but still keeping a degree of warmth to appeal to a wide range of audiences. I would say it’s very much a matter of personal taste and experiece. It surely does go with the moe anime idea, but it also doesn’t go into unhandled humor giving it an all around soft feeling. The relationship between the characters is very stereotypical , shy girl, indecisive boy and various agents like kurumi or sanada who serve purely for screenwriting purposes. Psgels probably already figured out the very logical outcome of the anime so he is not to blame. It would be intricate to not express what he , thinks in this situation but hey, its his blog :p

26. headachebaby says:

Kanao & Jessi: I agreed with your comments because they are my same thoughts.

I’m a girl and I love shoujo animes when it’s done right. So far, I enjoyed this anime because Sawako’s a irregular heroine. From her lack of socialization, she could be called a dull personality but what do you expect from someone who doesn’t socialize. Sawako is surprised at the acceptance she have received from fellow classmates. She also have trouble understanding Kurumi’s fake friendship but is excited to be noticed. Sawako is not your typical cute heroine and hey, I’d rather watch more dull characters like Sawako than the cute, annoying types. In fact, Sawako’s sweet and honest.

Aagh…I keep hearing about Bokura ga Ita and how it’s a better shoujo. I’ve watched it and there were moments I enjoyed but I couldn’t say I enjoyed it completely to go back and re-watch it. If I like the anime, I could go back and re-watch it, but this anime wasn’t one of them. The agonizing part was how the main guy and girl kept distancing themselves from their issues as a couple. Instead, they involved another guy and girl which made their issues more complicated. Sure, I agreed that the anime depicted real romances (love triangles) but how they kept dragging on their issues got too annoying. At times I was just agonizing how each of them couldn’t keep their heads straight. It’s like they knew how rocky their relationship was but instead of solving it together, they hung out with the other guy and girl and created more issues.

So, I quickly checked the other “better” shoujo-series recommended by PSGELS and all of them look annoying except for Glass Mask. I’ll check that one out.

The animation for Kimi ni Todoke is awesome and I like the music.

PSGELS, if this anime is completely dull to you and you’re agonizing to write about it weekly, then it’s only fair for you to drop it. But I always check your blog and like to get your views on the animes I’m currently watching (this being one of them). So I hope you don’t end up dropping it. ^_^

27. naxsis says:

I love this show! But why is a more difficult question than I thought…

The basis of the attraction for me is simply two things, one of which is that Sawako is such a gosh darn nice person. It is so refreshing to see a character that is so guileless and genuine that it makes me want to pull for her in every situation. The blushing, awkward romance between her and Kazehaya reminds me of high school (and post high school life sometimes) to a tee.

I suppose the other reason that I love this show is simply the social awkwardness of Sawako strikes a chord with my own social shortcomings. To see someone grow from a isolated existence to someone more integrated with her classmates makes me smile. Sawako’s trials and tribulations remind me in a positive way that people are for the most part genuinely good and that one doesn’t have to be awkward around others forever.

That being said, please don’t interpret this to mean that all fans of the show are shut-ins, unable to interact successfully with others. I’m sure everyone has had feelings of loneliness and social awkwardness and perhaps this shows resonates with those times. I do alright nowadays but there are times I can relate…

The characters may not have layers upon layers (at least what we’ve seen so far) and the plot may not twist but the show just is great. Love it or hate it, I’ll still watch it with a smile :)

28. legato29 says:

I like this show simply because it has a uncanny ability to evoke the tension, anxiety, and awkwardness of social interactions. This is, in part, achieved through its many subtle animations and dynamic facial expressions. The art style only enhances and furthers this effect. All in all, this feeling of tension and anxiety help to beautifully illustrate a young girl’s path toward social competence.

29. spoon says:

I like the post from legato29…..I don’t think this show is really about romance as much as it is about social acceptace and competance, i.e. i don’t think romance is supposed to be the main focus. That might be why the romance doesn’t seem that great to some people, it’s not the main point of the show, it’s just another element of Sawako becoming more socially accepted/assimilated, and THAT’s the main focus of the show and what the fans seem to really like.

I don’t know, this isn’t my absolute favorite series. But I tend not to agree with psgels on everything anyways (I absoultely love Cross Game – that and Tokyo Magnitude have been the only really enjoyable series for me for the past couple seasons, and I certanly don’t stick with most of the shows covered here)

But it’s nice to watch…and honestly, Chizu and Ayane are two of my favorite characters ever. They should get more screen time.

30. NguyenSon says:

I think I’m gonna disagree with lots of people here saying that you would do everyone a favour by dropping the serie. I always find it interesting to see differing point of views on any subjects. Should Pgels do only reviews that agree with your opinion? It’s by watching people debating a subject that you can have a more accurate idea about it.

I don’t understand all those people saying you are “hurting” them because you disagree with them, do you guys shun all the people that disagree with you? Should they only compliment you and agree with you? Or should they just keep quiet when they disagree? I doubt most of you would do that in real life and I see no reason why you should act in this way on the net. Moreover, if you don’t like reading his opinion, you can always choose not to read him.

I also need to point out that this post is only addressed to people like Charlie, Kanao, Naixil and the like. I don’t mind those who specifically addressed the reason why they liked the show, I found those opinion as interesting as Pgels’.

31. Kanao says:

NguyenSon: disagreeing with people and insulting them are very different things. Psgels complains about many episodes of Kimi ni Todoke and I’ve only chosen to comment this time; because he’s being offensive. He’s talking as though KnT viewers must be shallow fangirls simply because he doesn’t like the show. I’m a guy, as are most of my friends watching it.

My responses are to his childish contempt, not his complaints – although they too seem to consist of nitpicking and flaws that don’t exist rather than any logical arguments. I recommended he drop the show because disliking a show bad enough to fall this low means that he’s simply not in any position to provide an alternative perspective.

Of course, he said “fans of Kimi ni Todoke, enlighten me!” and yet he’s not even willing to respond to our explanations of why it’s good.

32. PL says:

So here is how you can make this show actually worth watching: Sawako is teased about looking like Sadako relentlessly, even Kazehaya’s kindness turns out to have been an elaborate prank, and Sawako loses it and starts murdering her classmate. Screaming,
    “You want Sadako, I’ll give you Sadako!” The rest of the season could be her mercilessly hunting down each and every one of her tormentors. Then this show might be worth continuing to watch. She is killed before finally killing Kazehaya. Next season, the murders start again, and the show could be called Kimi ni Todoke: Blood Sparkles in the Moonlight, and it turns out that Kazehaya has snapped and he’s the one murdering people now. Then, we find out that actually, Kazehaya wasn’t really in on the prank, that he was working with Sawako all along, and that as a kid he had a problem spelling and reading and got teased a lot too, and he transformed himself into someone popular just to make his revenge more satisfying.

33. Frost says:

What a disappointment this turned out to be… It keeps getting worse

Couldnt watch through this episode, so here is another dropped anime for Fall… I think he only anime Im still watching is Darker than Black, hurray!

Wtf? After the crap that was episodes 4-6, they still have to go and get yet another love triangle and misunderstanding started? I thought Kurumi wasnt gonna be your evil bitch antagonist, but I was wrong

This might have worked if it was the first anime I ever saw, but now its just a waste of my time

34. Kuni says:

You see what happens when you blog a twilight like series. You get commenter like the ones here trying their hardest to defend something that is just average and pretty much the exact same as many shoujo’s/romance that have been done before.
    TO you people taking offence, deal with it. Thats what a blog is about, bloggers stating how they feel, and obviously this show turned out to be crap, nothing above the average romance.
    And don’t spout this crap that its the first school life, romance, shoujo to appeal to all both female and males. There are plently of shoujo’s that have been very succesful without being the typical fake school life formula

35. Shinmaru says:

Personally, I agree with you. The show to me is best when it is easygoing and emphasizes the characters growing up together; the two big drama arcs have fallen really flat, I think. They’re just really clumsy — the only really enjoyable part has been the cracks in Kurumi’s armor. It’s funny when she has to force herself to keep up her golden image. All her other deviousness is just getting tiresome, though.

36. riddle says:

place a couple of shojou themed story lines out there, make it into an anime and WHAMP! girls would be squeling over it. like twilight, bloody stupid book, don’t even get me started on why i hate it. Kimi na todeke was spoiled by crappy anime story tellings and stupid male lead character. and why, why tell me why must the girl always fall in love with the stupid dull boy first AND why must there always be love traingles

37. Machi says:

While I’m certainly no fan of the series I would just like to point out that the whole “love triangle” aspect people keep complaining about is nothing more than a passing episode. If anything its just the series trying to go into the conventions of any high school romance, i.e. there needs to be a love triangle arc (much like how we have ecchi shows with the convention of hotspring/beach arcs).

While comparing it to Twilight may need better contextualizing, in this case its just the POPULARITY and yes DEPTH that could be akin to it but certainly not the other aspects especially its catering to young teen women.

Moving on I do disagree with the points raised by its fans/devils advocate. For one I fail to see how anyone could label the interactions of characters as “natural”. Case in point already is this episode to show just how “unnatural” or a better word would be fairy tale-esque interactions. Face it Kurumi and Sawako’s interractions are anything but natural, would anyone actually try to befriend their love rival who tried to sabotage them or even pursue talking to them to the point of confessing to them (I think not). Sure you can say its in her extremely sweet and innocent personality but thats exactly why I call it almost fairy tale-esque because such a personality is far too pure and exagerrated to be anything natural but definitely a shoe in for fantasies or fairy tales. Hell another case in point is how Sawako made friends with Chizu and Yano, seriously the way they suddenly made friends like that was definitely not natural nor are their interactions.

Now this is precisely why the charm that others are so enamored with fails, to connect to what appears from the posts above, with a larger audience than I expected including psgels (myself included). I don’t see myself adhering to the suspension of disbelief required by the series in accepting its exaggerations on Sawako or Kazehaya, cmon ITS SO DAMN OBVIOUS THAT KAZEHAYA LIKES SAWAKO YET YOU SUDDENLY GET THROWN IN STARTING WITH THIS ARC THAT SAWAKO IS DENSE (when clearly that was less pronounced in previous stories). So rather than charmed one in the end feels frustrated with the series. Thing is its not just a matter of suspension of disbelief but also the weaker side of the story telling.

For one as I mentioned last post with this series I still fail to see WHY Sawako is trying to hard to be “normal”. When clearly being “normal” is being sheep or mindless much like her classmates who follow every word of Kazehaya around. I mean fitting in is quite a normal thing in most animes and mangas but in this series it doesn’t appear at all appealing considering how mindless and cardboard the class is, its quite devoid of personality and no wonder Kazehaya reigns supreme over them all.

Then you have the sudden conversions of characters, Yano and Chizu are the case in point for that, that are far too quick that it does appear effortless to gain their friendship. Or if not characters say events, as this episode would show with things turning around way too quickly to Kurumi’s disadvantage.

These are just some of my gripes regarding the series.

38. Kiseki says:

I fail at arguing, so I won’t bother.
    I love watching Kimi ni Todoke because…it just makes me feel warm and happy. I’ve been able to laugh and cry (though this started only after watching Cross Game) while watching anime, but this is probably the first that just makes me smile.

Also, please review Ashita no Nadja. Maybe it’s because I don’t hear about it much, but I find it underrated. D: (The manga can burn in the depths of hell for all I care though.)

39. shao says:

I was going to comment here for the first time, but Machi already took the words right out of my mouth.

40. Michelle says:

So when do the rest of the episodes air from this point on? Is it really airing in Japan at this moment…??Please get back to me with the info guys, i appreciate it ;)

41. Michelle says:

and if any of you know any good romantic comedies of anime…please send ur suggestions my way!

42. Ladholyman says:

Looks like this show really isn’t your cup of tea. I recommend dropping it.

If watching this show doesn’t give you a fuzzy feeling, then you are only wasting your time.

However, I think this is one of the best shows of 2009.

43. nitaipriya says:

ahhh i wish you hadn’t given up on this series :) .. really ep 13 is one of the few times an anime made me spontaneously laugh out loud while no one else is around. it was great ^^

44. madoka says:

So I just started watching the show yesterday and I’m up to episode 12 now. I checked in to see if the show was covered here. I’m surprised by the drama.

I can understand why someone would dislike the show. Especially when that person lacks empathy toward what the main character is going through.

Yeah the Twilight comment is WAYYY over exaggerating. Instead of judging the show’s popularity, just judge the show. Getting frustrated about what other people think is wasting time.

According to ANN, this new Owarimonogatari will be a special 2-day events, which honestly I don't know what that even means. Most of you might grin your evil grin right now but I'm crying inside with that news.
The LWA finale didn't do much for me sadly. Croi's roles as a main antagonist is just not good. And I feel like in the end I don't know much about Suzy or Lotte. I think the worse episode for me was the one right after the twist about why Akko can't perform magic, because it's as Aidan said
KT
Thus Little Witch Academia comes to an end. I will miss it. Despite the mistake IMHO of the Croix Arc, this was a good series, and the last episode went back to the very elements that made me love it at the start. It was a happy series, and gave me a warm fuzzy feeling in some hard times. I thank it for it. It could had been exceptional, but I guess they wanted to try something more.Ah well.
Really glad they used that Scarborough fair song one last time before the finale. I really love that song.
SukaSuka's finale was beautiful, a great way to end a great anime.
@Aidan: I guess the big question I have is, do the character interactions coupled with what assume will be some kind of tragedy element work together well enough to make the viewer care and invest in the characters?
So that's the end of SukaSuka. Better than I thought it would be. Honestly didn't give it enough of a chance in my preview. As far as light novel adaptions go it's above average. Though it does still suffer from it's cliches. Nothing outstanding but a worthwhile watch nontheless.
Have you seen Shonen Jump is making an international manga contest? https://medibang.com/jumpplus/entry/
@Lenlo: you know it when you see it. At first I didn't believe they jumped the shark, but based on the events after that twist, yep it has settled for something much cheaper imo.
For Bahamut, im still enjoying it and we have another cour to go. I think it, and the first Bahamut, are good shows. For Kado, im only on ep 4 so im very curious what shark gets jumped
I think given the pace I'll watch 1-2 or 2-3 episodes of re creators instead of once a week.
In the end Bahamut suffered the same fate as the first one, I could never call it a bad show, I just never ended up feeling it.
I've given my thoughts on tsuki ga kirei before on here but I'll add by saying that I never expected it and uchouten 2 (despite the weak wrap up I liked the lead up) to be my favourite of the season.
About five years ago or so could have seen myself really having been in the mood for LWA.
I wasn't as impressed with Uchoutens finale as Mario was,I found myself more annoyed by how clumsily done it all was.
For me kado jumped the shark with its latest direction and Aidans review along with flicking through this weeks episode kind of confirms I'm done with the show. A show I was initially unsure of but thought might become something.
@Anon, Yeah....at least LWA's finale was pretty good and I think there's a possibility of a second season. With the Criox/Chariot plot line out of the way I say they could really bank on it's potential. Even if they don't, this series was still quite enjoyable.
Man I couldn't agree more with Aidan about LWA and Kado. I still like and enjoy Kado but damn it could have been so much more.
Ntr trap appears to be a non-seinen/shounen yuri manga given its publication magazine.
Not all people work as fast, but that's what companies expect nowadays. Which is why CGI is preferred over practical effects. Or even why anime has used more 3D that painted backgrounds, cars or other props that take time and work to be drawn.
No. I get deadlines are tough. Companies and customers want everything made as fast as humanly possible, yet reality is that making things good takes time and money. I wouldn't be surprised that's why Berserk comes out every 6 months, the art is too detailed and the story is slow paced. Yet the anime was planned to be made in a year or two so it's evident either way, crunch is expected.
I think you misunderstood what he meant when he said the industry was a mess. Mangaka routinely work themselves into a hospital because of the demanding schedule
Then there's the franchise appeal. Which inherently gains something because of persistence, awareness and name. It is hard when great visual effort is mainly put in things that are guaranteed to be a hit, because original stuff tend to make mistakes to find their own identity. Which in itself makes them very risky affairs.
It's also a heavy flaw of the internet, having mainly binary opinions of good or bad. Which makes it hard to tell if you'll like something in the 7s like Nier or Alien 3 (might not be a 7 but opinions make it sound like it is). Divisive products that may or not may suit one's tastes.
Personally I think the issue has become what suits your tastes, what are you willing to give a chance and what hits beyond the medium it is presented.
@AidanAK47 "Manga in general is great but Jesus Christ the industry is a mess". - I mean, movies, games, and other entertainment have the same issue, since everyone has a big slice of the pie, yet there are like a million things competing for one's attention.
On that note, apart from the 3 shows I'n currently covering (Eccentric Family, Tsuki ga Kirei and ID-0), I will give a full review on Grimoire of Zero, a show that I feel rather difficult to pinpoint exactly on its quality.
Can't believe we approaching the final week of this current season. Gonna be a busy week of blogging with the usual weekly posts plus the final impressions.
@Anon1206174: I agree with you on both counts. And Sakura Quest has never been bad, but it could have been deeper and less messy. If you plan to watch ID-0 (I suggest you do), don't get your expectation too high because it works much better when you expect nothing of it. Like each episode I was genuinely surprised how good ID-0 actually is.
I remember one of Aidan's visual novel posts where he said theres potentially hundreds of VNs un-translated and LNs too, makes me wonder just how much un-translated manga we are missing out on.
Anonymous1206174
The ID-o posts sound pretty interesting, I am really thinking of dropping Sakura and watching this instead. Really loved the beginnign of Sakura and that abandoned town atmosphere it had, but I am not feeling it anymore. The recent episode about Shiori was great again though..
*looking
Then again he's an extremely forgetable person.
Oh Godammit, looing back over my comments I meant to say Souta not Setsuna, I suck at remembering non-English names.
Anonymous1205999
Meh - I really like this season but I already have my first cases of 'good-show-disappointing-ending/second half'
Anonymous1206022
KT Here:RE:Creators , we need to know more about the rules for Altair to see if that works. It might, and it might not. With what they know they have a good plan. But I was thinking why not just do a Super Smash Bros type game with the characters? I am sure that would generate enough stuff in order to lock her.
On Re:Creators, I find a better solution instead of going all cross-media like the show suggests. Someone could just make some fan-fiction on Altair that purposely show her weakness (like get busted when expose to the sun, or the magic word that render her skills useless). Less efforts, more effective
Man, I agree wholeheartedly with what KT said here: mass media actually sells, so it keeps the industry to a more stable position; then the art-house/more adult oriented anime can have some freedom to do what they like.
I think its more that I have to read it all at the same time as expecting action to come , it might change my mind if I watched it in English.
Anonymous1205580
KT here: I accept the mass media because it raises the funds for the less mainstream stuff I like. That is how I make my peace.

On RE:Creators. I get what you guys say. But for some reason I do not find the exposition heavy in this series. Every person has his own limit I guess
Alonaria
@Kaiser: Yep, that sounds about right, lol. I take my Sheldon in concentrated doses. I might give the Young Sheldon spin off an episode or two because it's highly exaggerated but still somewhat relatable to me.
I feel big bang theory is a show for people who know nothing about nerds/nerd culture to find funny.
And then theres this thing about Sheldon being some kind of autism spectrum thing , which is kind of annoying to hear when I am on the spectrum myself and never really found the character all that amusing.
Probably not the strongest reason to go off a show but, it was people around me going on and on about big bang theory that eventually put me off it.
lol is it any surprise Miura and the hunter x hunter guy take so many breaks =P
Alonaria
*Sheldon
Alonaria
I pick and choose Big Bang episodes that I enjoy. Shelden in the ball pit never ceases to amuse me. Still, it's definitely overrated haha.
IT Crowd > Modern Big Bang. Early Big Bang was good.

And yes, the work conditions in the Manga Industry are terrible. Oda, One Piece Mangaka, works stupid hours. He requests his assistances be "Willing to die for One Piece" because of the amount of work.
And hell yeah"! someone else thats hates on big bang theory.
IT crowd > big bang.
*more safer
And yet now here I am at same time, I think it might be kind of a shame that I can't see the value and fun anymore in some less safer offerings.
I thinking I might go insane if I looked up comments defending the visuals in occultic; nine.
Hate to say it but sometimes opinions, mainstream ones are actually wrong. Its a fact that superhero films have bad action scenes and cinematography and Hardboiled, a chinese action film is better filmed in terms of choreography.
As dickish as this is to say, I really do recoil when ssomeone says something like the Notebook or fifty shades is the best film of all time/their favourite.
See theres also factoring in the people whos favourite film or anime of all is the most recent they finished.
I remember mentioning recently that I was re-watching the twilight zone, the response I got was "I thought that you were talking about twilight"
See thats whats so great about being able to talk about more niche stuff online, theres an easier to find common ground.
In general when it comes to mass popular opinion it's the tried and true safe stuff that ends up selling. The highest selling Mario games are the New Super Mario ones. The same generic Light novel and harems keep selling. There are plenty of examples but majority opinion tends to gravitate to the safe and familiar.
See, most (offline) people (and or teenagers)who aren't really all that interested in film or don't look into it that much will turn out for things like fifty shades, transformers or twilight, thats why those are popular. Most people aren't going to watch something made more than a few years ago or subtitled.
Oh...lol fuck thats a blunder...yes I meant Re:creators.
But by all means, people are fully entitled to like what they like. But there is a reason why so much rubbish gets popular.
@Kaiser, Re:Creators.
As someone who would actually consider themselves creative and interested in things being imaginative I really do hate the whole anti-creativity /anti-art, anti-intelligence movement and way of thinking that allows un-deservedly popular things like what Aidan mentioned to fester.
Yes Re:zero's poor pacing and leaden dialogue is becoming too dominant and there should be more action, its good Setsuna opened up, but I still don't particularly like him.
I imagine the magazines/editors probably consider themselves the writers sometimes.
Pretty sure I only read nisekoi because I was keeping up with conversations about it, then dropped it before the Chitoge doublie showed up, just stopped reading.
On the matter of Re:Creators, I feel the same as the Anon said. I find the exposition to just drone on far too much.
On the matter of the manga industry being shit...it is. Manga in general is great but Jesus Christ the industry is a mess. Work conditions are utterly abhorrent and it's even worse that most series live or die based on a magazine popularity poll.
Because just because something is popular, does not mean it is quality. Example: Transformers, Twilight, Fifty shades, Sword Art Online, Big Bang theory
@Anon, Still not getting your logic here. I mean if I have a problem with it after trying it then why am I not allowed to complain about it? Anyway it is only popular for the pandering. Even those who like Nisekoi admit that it's a mediocre harem and they mainly enjoy the waifu wars on the internet.
and now we will resort to illegal streaming sites for this one. "Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem", this f*cking true
Huh? Welcome to the Ballroom Anime Gets Amazon Prime-Only Streaming Inside and Outside Japan. Now that just unbearable
Don't know about this new Re:Creators episode since I haven't watched it, but I don't really mind Meteora. Her dialogues scream "exposition" but she still fits well to the story. The fights are good, I agree, but why didn't they go all the way with the world's collapse last episode?
Anonymous1202407
Whether Nisekoi is pandering or not, it is not enough proof for you to suggest that manga industry is shit. If u want good mainstream then its not that hard to find. Also for every success like Nisekoi which u claim to be pandering, there are dozen like it that failed to be popular. Why? Because it clearly is popular for a reason other than just simple pandering.
Ha, Ping Pong. I need that kind of show again in my life.
Also, Ping Pong is amazing.
Theres a difference between pandering to a large audience, and an anime/manga with a quality story that everyone ends up liking. Ive always found moe shows and things like Nisekoi to be the former.
Anonymous1202407
If you have a problem with it after trying it just dont read it. Its that simple. Also what a surprise that a show like nisekoi that appeals to a large demographic is popular. U want the mangaka to apologize it's not some art house story like Ping Pong?
Meteora is pretty hit or miss with her dialogue imo. Sometimes its great, othertimes its not. I can say though I enjoy most of the fights.
Anonymous1202113
I really want to like Re:Creators. To be honest though, I'm getting tired of the dialogue. It has its high points, but it sometimes just seems to drone on and on, especially with all of Meteora's "hypotheses."
KT
Both Bahamut and RE:Creators had great episodes. But I was indeed mentally screaming Super Smash Bros at RE:Creators. You will get the point when you watch the episode.
Taken on it's own, Nisekoi is harmless. But it is undeniably proof that you need not be creative or innovative to succeed in the industry. In fact declaring creative bankruptcy could turn more fruitful than genuine effort.
And I said how can you decide you don't like something if you haven't read it?
Of course you are likely mean that if you don't like something then give up on reading it further which of course does not mean that someone cannot complain about it regardless.
Anonymous1198985
No, Im said if you dont like nisekoi dont read it
@Anon, How do you know you don't like it if you don't read it?
Anonymous1196967
Don't like it don't read it.
I went and read Double Arts. This really was a great manga with tons of potentail and truly didn't deserve the axe. It's so depressing that this was cut off so soon and the author went on to make the most generic Harem ever Nisekoi, and that got over 200 chapters.
All of the important dance scenes for Yuri were fantastic, its just some minor one off characters and some reused ones that were an issue, so no they are better than the CGI
Anonymous1190387
Is it worse than those CGI dance scenes in some anime?
@Puran, It is pretty surprising how well that story turns out. I say IG might do the job even if there animation isn't the most consistent. The one thing I am worried about is those necks though. In the PV those things were ridiculously long.
Puran
Fair enough, recycling the animation was bad, agreed. But the animation itself was really good.
See, I found the repeated dances in Yuri one of the worse parts. Alot of it was recycled animation and certain characters were obviously rushed/not done. Some were amazing, cause they took their time, but others looked terrible.
Puran
I kinda wish Mappa was doing the anime though. Yuri on Ice had really nicely animated dances (and was more or less the only actually good quality of that show :P )
Puran
Reading the Ballroom e Youkoso manga has made me really excited about the Anime.
Kaiser_Eoghan
@Aidan: I'm particularly turned off by bully/bullying cliches these days. I've only read the first two volumes to see how awful she was but I ended up simply losing track of the series and stopped reading.
Kaiser_Eoghan
@Mario: Actually that has changed, I had to pick a different day to see it given changes in schedule, I've booked it for NEXT Wednesday now. I've watched Akira about four times.
Oh, Rising of the Shield Hero is getting an anime adaption. Hmmm...honestly after finishing the series and looking over it as a whole I am not sure I even want that. Plus seeing Bitch Animated...would fill me with rage.
I intend to re-watch Akira soon, probably this weekend. It has been almost 10 years since my first watch and now I don't remember much about that one. Thought it was intriguing and complex but not as acclaimed as people hyped it to be (I'll pick Ghost in the Shell anytime). Wonder how I'd feel now after re-watching it.
@Kaiser: I remember you mentioned that you were going to watch In this Corner of the World today right? How was the movie Kaiser?
Oh cool, food wars is getting a 3rd season
Ballroom youkoso appears to be leading the polls.
@Mario: Fumiko is a female mangaka yes. Also I found bokura no hentai worth reading.
yep, I finished that manga too and I have conflicted feeling about it. Yuri(!) part and fanservice are to blatant but they have a purpose. This mangaka (not sure but I think she's a girl) has some unique voice.
....well I skimmed that manga. And it was weird
By all appearances,Sakura is normal,albeit sheltered junior high school girl who enjoy talking about love and walking home from school together.However,they also happen to inhabit a strange and supernatural world populated by mysterious,gigantic beings and unusual plant and animal life.Amid their peaceful lives,Sakura becomes very interested in something only alluded to exist in old books: dicks
Here's a synopsis of other manga from the same author, I think you'll have a better idea of his theme -
Sakura no Sono
Pretty much what Masky said. I am not really praising it. Anyway I plan to read one or two more chapters to see where it's going. But if it's going in the direction I think it's going then I am dropping this one fast.
Kaiser_Eoghan
There is of course the underlying concern that it will go a very ugly route with that development or it could become edgy/horribly minipulative, but for now it is as mario said, a hook.
Well. overall I don't dislike what I read there. It has good hook and I'm intrigued to know more what the hell will happen. Good set-up for me. I'm in
@Masky: it's fine Masky, since I will chec itk out any way and see it for myself ^^
So since you guys started being interested, I checked it out and uh.. Yeah, not reading. I think ye guys misunderstood Aidans warnings since that was just fucked up and not in the interesting way.
@Aidan: Berserk will never again go more than 3-4 months without a hiatus.
Hmmm, that manga Cutie Mutie sounds good to me. I might check it out later today
@Aidan: But had you not alluded to that scene, I may have seen the cover of that manga and skipped over it.
@Aidan: I had a feeling, sort of, sad, I am intrigued to read more.
Hyping and warning are not the same thing.
Well with Aidan hyping up the horrors of cutie mutie I may as well glance at it to see what he' on about.
There are three manga with the name rec.
I am familiar with the artist for cutie mutie, she did that manga about the three kids dealing with gender/orientation issues.
Oh look Berserk is on Haitus again....
.....the sad thing is that it comes as expected now.
For reference the two I read were Cutie Mutie and Rec. Be warned, the first one goes to a rather uncomfortable level.
@Masky, Read two manga. One started lighthearted and then went to really dark territory. The other one looks like it's about a really dark subject but turned out to be something more lighthearted.
@Mario, Alright. Tested it now so it such be fixed. Try again.
@Aidan: Huh? What you read that turned dark/didn't turn dark? .-.
"too many answers selected for question 1! only 3 answers allowed!"
@Aidan: I still have the same issues. Weird
@Mario, Wasn't my intent. Try it now and you should be able to pick as many as you want.
@Aidan: I'm not allowed to vote more than 3 votes. Is it your intention Aidan?
Well that was weird. I read something that looked innocent but turned out to be really dark. Then something that looked really dark only to become innocent.
Yeah, nothing that interests me I see :D Like my strongest reaction to season preview was "Someone made isekai with smartphone? Really? REALLY? Thats best idea you had"
Ah Knighs and Magic, found that manga. It was boring enough for me to forget its name. Also besides being boring, I kinda find MC unlikeable since their only personality is that they like mechas and were a programmer before renicarnating as short bishie kid
Woo, time to vote stuff
@Kaiser: that movie In this Corner just getting more and more acclaimed huh? Thou I think it'a a type of movie that if you have high expectation for it you will likely be disappointed. It works best as a sleeper hit
As for cute monster girls, most of the time I don't find them cute at all. I know I'm being racist, but...
@Lenlo: I'm guilty with that cute girls genre, as i enjoyed K-On tremedously for example. Or If I have more time I'd follow Hinako Note this season ^^
They don't always adapt all that well or work as well outside of manga format, especially 4-komas.
*three
The only two of any interest were hidamari sketch, azumanga daioh and yuru yuri and that was largely down to being in the mood for them a few years ago.
@Mario: Personally, I have 0 interest in this Monster girls doing cute things subgenre, just like I have very little interest in the cute girls doing cute things major genre.
@Mario: As it turns out I DID read in this corner of the world. I'll also be seeing it next thursday.
@Kaiser: at this moment I'm very skeptical with the whole Monster girls doing cute girl subgenre, so I'm approachig Centaur with a caution. Of course, it all depends on how I feel after the first episode
@Kaiser: Happy End isn't as bleak aa his other works. But it's certainly Hanake's films, as it explores many of his favorite themes: the voyeurist of camera in his Benny's video, the detachment to the world and the underlying violence. Not his best thou but it's still very good
I think I'd be up for watching jigoku shojo, its been a long time since I watched the original two seasons and this one won't be as long, so it won't get as repetitive.
I voted centaur no nanami on the poll, think Mario could cover it.
@Mario: How did did you get on with Happy end? I heard its like a mix of his best works. Is it as dark and depressing?
I have vague memories of in the corner of the worlds manga, unless I'm mixing it up with something else.
Some news, Lu Over the Wall won the best prize at this year's Annecy (the 1st anime won the award since 1995's Pom Poko), with In the Corner of the World took the Jury Prize. Quite a good showing for anime this year.
@Anon, Hello.
Really, still no vote for Kakegurui?? I thought it would take the top poll for sure
That 18if, even the poster doesn't make much sense, but it looks dazzling ^^

Little Witch Academia TV Review – 80/100

The Little Witch Academia series has been something that’s a long time coming. Ever since Studio Trigger made the original Anime OVA back in 2013 I have been hotly anticipating the time when it would be fleshed out into it’s own anime series. I love both the original OVA and the enchanted Parade so this […]

Little Witch Academia – 25[Tree of Leaves]

I am glad that Trigger managed to pull through and bring a bombastic finale to this series. Admittedly there are some signs of cutting corners with some still frames that lingered for a little too long but otherwise this was a great episode to go out on. That said i do have my problems with […]

Seikaisuru Kado – 11[Wanoraru]

I hold many, many grievances with this turn Kado has taken but all things considered the show hasn’t become a trainwreck as I previously thought it would. The developments are rather forced but they at least work from a narrative standpoint. We have effectively transition to a story about the effects of pushing advancement and […]

Uchoten Kazoku 2 – 12 [The Red String of Fate]

Oh god, this climax. Other shows, take note. This is how you SHOUD NOT do on your final battle. How this show can jump from Yasaburou, Yaichirou fighting the Fellow Friday for their lives last week, to the conflict of Soun and Tenyama (that they eventually ended up in Hell again), to end with Benten […]

Tsuki ga Kirei – 11 [An Encouragement of Learning]

Tsuki ga Kirei again manages something I thought was difficult to achieve: it surpasses itself once more time. I was afraid that after the Kawagoe festival, there isn’t much left drama for the lovebirds now that Takumi and Chinatsu are all out of the picture; turn out that not only this episode enhances their relationship […]

ID-0 – 11 [Innocent Orbit]

I must say, despite my current worry from the direction ID-0 is heading towards the climax, we have another solid episode in our hands. Here’s one of the thing ID-0 continues to prove itself to be quite adept of: their pacing never drags. All the events progress gradually, and there aren’t many unnecessary scenes, if […]

Sakura Quest – 12 [The Dawn Guild]

Sakura Quest offers a pretty much Sakura Quest-esque this week, and I come to believe that this is a strong mini-arc to close-up the first half of its run. For the Tourism Board, the Manoyama Founding Festival will become their most ambitious project in term of scope they have encountered so far. Moreover, documenting the […]

Seikaisuru Kado – 10[Towanosakiwa]

So despite my aggravation with how the last episode ended, this episode starts of strong with how the universe was created and the anisotropic beings watching over it. The whole sequence was great and beautifully alien. That half of the episode explaining how Saraka ended up on end was actually very strong and despite the […]

Uchoten Kazoku 2 – 11 [The Blood of the Tengu, the Blood of the Fool]

The Eccentric Family again takes some solid steps to its final showdown. But let me address this first because I’m sure no one really see it coming. Soun comes back to life. A fake-out death? Seriously? Using fake-out death ALWAYS comes with a price, which is all the emotional investment we had for the death […]

Little Witch Academia TV Review – 80/100

Window Horses (2016) Movie Review – 87/100

Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon (Winter 2017) Review – 74/100

Scum’s Wish (Winter 2017) Review – 80/100

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Review – 90/100

When you have watched a large amount of anime you can come to assume that you have learned a lot about Japanese culture. Though I think it’s testament to how limited it is to view Japan through anime when you come to realize that despite watching so much, you have never heard of Rakugo. Rakugo […]

Youjo Senki Saga of Tanya the Evil Review – 80/100

Isekai stories have become somewhat of a tiresome genre as of late. There have been many stories of people being transported/reincarnated into other worlds where they shed their once pitiful exterior and become some legendary figure in another world. In most cases it’s trit, balant childish wish fulfilment and the stories often become tiresome when […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. (Winter 2017) Review – 83/100

Imagine my utmost amazement when a show that I wasn’t that confident on taking in the beginning turned out to be one of the most solid offering this season had to offer. ACCA is the most recent anime adaptation from mangaka Natsume Omo, which despite isn’t a household name, many of her works (6 titles […]

Demi-chan wa Kataritai (Winter 2017) Review – 62/100

Demi-chan is one of the newest addition to the monster girl subgenre, which usually feature a human helpless male lead get stuck in a harem of mythical creatures, in form of oversized boob girls of course (why usually those monsters are in female forms anyways? Aren’t they sexless?). In this case, we have monster girls […]

Seiren (Winter 2017) Review – 51/100

Let me say this out front, Seiren is NOT a good show, it’s a highly uneven one. Throughout its run, I can see some solid moments and fresh ideas that could potentially raise it above the bar, but ultimately, view it as a whole, Seiren is a show that isn’t worth recommending. At first, I’m […]