Posted by psgels on 23 December 2009 with categories: Kimi ni Todoke

This episode was… tedious to sit through. It was basically just Kurumi trying to get a love triangle started, which is probably going to be worthless in the next episode when everyone realizes that it was just a misunderstanding. Agh, it’s like Itazura na Kiss all over, but without the funny parts.

Let me list a bunch of shoujo-series that actually did get the love triangle right (Minor spoilers included):
Bokura ga Ita: mainly worked because the love rival got fed up with the indecisiveness of the lead male, which was a huge theme of the series.
Kodomo no Omocha: worked because we actually see both the lead male and female go through other relationships with other people, while it’s actually the distance between them, created by the lead female’s job as an idol that prevents them from hooking up, rather than the ditzy love rivals being the sole reason.
Ashita no Nadja: we actually see the lead female hanging out with other guys without it suddenly creating a huge drama.

On top of that, we also have shoujo-series as Glass Mask, DNAngel and Full Moon wo Sagashite in which the romances work because of their realism and the way they let their relationships progress naturally. Not in the forced way that Kimi ni Todoke has been doing for the past twelve episodes…

I’m interested to see the other sides of the story, though. I’ve heard quite a few arguments why this show is popular, but those all seemed to come from the ones who didn’t like it. When I look at various blogs, all I see is squealing over various characters, but for the past months I’ve hardly seen any people who liked this show and came with valid reasons.

Sure, that might just been me, looking at the wrong places, but still: fans of Kimi ni Todoke, enlighten me! What makes this show so great that it deserves such a high score on various anime sites? What was so good about this series that everyone vote for it here? Or is this really just another Twillight which has tons of squealing fangirls who like it just because of the hot guys and sparkles?

Whether I’m going to drop this show at the start of the Winter-Season, I don’t know yet. Because Aoi Bungaku, Darker than Black, Erin, Konnichiwa Anne, Kuchuu Buranko, Umineko and White Album are going to be ending all within a week, this means that I need to find seven new bloggable shows among the line-up of the upcoming Winter-season. Which is a lot during such a small season. However, if number eight does pop up, then expect to see this show in the dropped-list.

Right now, this show is just… too convenient. Sawako doesn’t really have to work hard for her newfound popularity. She gets protected everywhere, and her exaggeratedly weird personality makes sure that all the bad guys’ plans go wrong. At first I praised this series because it showed outcasts as they try to live back into society, but that’s not even what this series is about. We’ve just got another Mary Sue here where the entire plot revolves around. Sure, Sawako has flaws, but all those flaws seem to be more and more used in favour of her, rather than creating her as a character.
Rating: — (Lacking)

1. Kim says:

I already dropped this series. I don’t think it’s bad just not good enough for me to keep watching.

As for the shoujo with the best love triangles try Princess Tutu (I know I have told you to watch this before). It’s not typical at all and works out wonderfully in the end.

Although not shoujo I also love how Rumiko Takahashi handles her love triangles in Maison Ikkoku. Which is one of the best anime/manga romcoms out there.

2. Matt says:

I like it because i really like the characters… I thought it was hilarious how ticked off Kurumi with her naitivity…

I will probably keep watching it, but this better be it for the love triangles… I can see them using the first one to set up the characters more, especially the friendships… I can understand this one because of the lasting love Kurumi has for him. But any more and i will probably drop it. But i enjoy the animation, the writing, and the characters… So, it will be a tough one for me to drop..

3. Acylia says:

What I’m actually more interested in now, in Kimi ni Todoke, is Sanada and Chizu, as I actually find them more interesting as characters… Kazehaya and Sawako are… cute, I guess. But I kind of got tired of them. I actually started watching KnT because it sort of brightened up my week. But there are definetly better shows out there.

But I do respect and understand why you feel like this about the series. The sparkles are way overdone. I’m probably going to keep watching, though. :) Thanks for blogging this far, anyway! ^^

4. Sarah says:

Compared to a lot of shoujo, Kimi Ni Todoke isn’t anything special but is defiantly a good series. I think some of it’s strong points is it’s ability to incorporate its side characters as well as take a slower and more simplistic approach to the story line.

Bokura Ga Ita for example, was a good series but often got over taken by too much angst and drama. Kimi Ni Todoke I agree isn’t a series to rave about but it’s entertaining that’s all I can say :)

5. lesterf1020 says:

I don’t know why you need someone to tell you why this is popular and I don’t know why you continue to blog this. You clearly don’t like it and none of its charms work on you. This isn’t your show. I don’t see a problem here.

You like many shows that most of the fan base and blogging community have no love for. Many people don’t understand how you can rate some of your shows so highly. So is it really a surprise that you might not get a show that lots of other people love?

Please drop this. It is looking like this is going to be a 24 ep series of more of the same. You are going to be cut and pasting your blog posts on this soon. If you were being witty and sarcastic and making fun of the show it might have been worth it but your slow death by befuddlement is just painful. Lots of others are blogging this so save your efforts for the good shows that few even know exist. I am enjoying your blogging on Kemono no Souja Erin.

6. theone says:

I have NO idea why guys watch shouju anime/read manga. . .whats so good about watching high school love bad visual cartoon dramas?

I love a lot of the Adult stuff that is out there (i.e aoi bunraku) I have no idea why there arent many of thoese shows that bloggers want to watch instead of the same old same old junk, random wimpy guy gets 5 girls around him, or love triangle with guys that either a)dont know how to get a girl or b)are soo horny AND stupid (its cool to be horny and smart) that the bang all the girls and cant be discreet about it (think school daze. . .i didnt watch it, I just read some blog posts here and there) with random obligatory panty shots, shower scenes, onsen scenes, more panty shots, guy seeing a girl naked by accident and blushing while she hits/yells at him, or *accidentally* falling on a girls giant tits or *accidentally* falling on top of a girl in a sexual position or vice versa. . .it sjust the same ol shitsakebap all over, wouldnt the blogosphere get tired of this? Or am I just too, old/manly/hetero??

Where the hell are all the adults blogging the nice mature adult shows? I swear the only blogger that blogs adult stuff is Psgels. . .and even then there are more shows on this site that should be replaced by more adult and mature type stuff, I wanna hear about more aoi bungakus, and kemono no erin, east of eden, guin sage type shows each season, much more than *panty shot harem heaven part 5000*

7. psgels psgels says:

theone: please, if there’s an adult show I missed this season, then let me know about them, because I’m looking for them as well. Also, the reason I watch shoujo is because of the good series in the genre. I’m not sure whether you’ve seen Ashita no Nadja, Glass Mask 2005 or Kodocha, but these shows really show how enjoyable this genre can be when done right.

lester: you have a good point, yeah. It’s not the worst show I’ve had to blog, but I’ve gotten tired of Kimi ni Todoke by now. My only question is whether or not something is going to show up in the next season that can replace it (eight good shows… that’s really going to be a close one).

8. Kanao says:

I agree with lester. You often prove that your tastes aren’t quite in-sync with ‘the norm’, loving shows that many find boring, so what is with all the complaining? If you hate it so much then please stop blogging it as you’ll only hurt other people’s enjoyment.

The reasons people like Kimi ni Todoke are relatively simple: it has charm, it’s sweet, the character interaction feels natural and makes you smile, Sawako’s progress somehow soothes some of life’s little frustrations and most importantly it’s entertaining. Entertainment value isn’t something you can explain well. A show can be a total train wreck and yet still remain very fun to watch each week (yes, most notably Code Geass R2). In a lot of ways I enjoy it for the exact same reasons as Cross Game.

Comparing KnT to Twilight with claims of “hot guys and sparkles” just because you don’t enjoy it is insulting and immature. KnT is popular among guys too, not just girls. Narrow-minded comments like that make me feel you should probably stop watching any shoujo anime. God knows that any other shoujo series has more than three guys (two of which do little but serve as comic relief). Also, I’m fairly sure girls aren’t obsessed with Twilight because of the sparkles, its just an element people make fun of because it happens to be pretty damn funny/stupid.

9. mds says:

yeah,I have pretty much same comment with Kanao about KnT.Compared to other shoujos full of reverse harem-ing,gender bender-ing,shounen-ai-ing,KnT is a rather refreshing one.It’s like enjoying shoujos like Fruits Basket/Shugo Chara (manga) for me (i’m a guy,and Furuba/Shugo Chara also has a lot of male fans..:) )

By the way,the next season’s preview sounded like it’ll be a dull one for you (full of ecchis and moeblobs…but I’m looking for OmaHima and soranowoto,by the way.It has only about 4-5 non moe/ecchi shows.) are you sure you’ll drop this?

Lastly..Cross Game has 39 episodes only.It’ll end in next episode,so you have 8 free slots..

10. m says:

The story of Kimi ni Todoke is intentionally upbeat. It’s an unrealistic tale of how teenage drama is worked out through mutual understanding. It makes no pretense at realism, and the mangaka basically beats you over the head with her motivations.

Still, I dropped the anime after a few episodes. Listening to Sawako talk was painful. I had to watch the first episode in pieces, because listening to her performance was so taxing. The manga is a quick read, so the absence of depth doesn’t bother me at all, and the uplifting nature of the story is sometimes just what you’re looking for. It’s like Chi’s Sweet Home in that I don’t want to watch twenty minutes of a kitten being cute, but watching a few episodes of Chi is pretty uplifting.

11. Kanao says:

“Lastly..Cross Game has 39 episodes only.”

Actually it’s continuing into next season so it’ll probably be around 50. Too many people seem to go by ANN’s list of episode titles – they only include the ones with official confirmation. ^^

“Sawako doesn’t really have to work hard for her newfound popularity.”

What? I watched the episode (just as great as usual by the way) and she isn’t ‘popular’. People are just noticing her a bit more as a human being now that they aren’t expected to avoid her. It’s not like classmates are inviting her to hang out, go to karaoke, shopping or anything. Can you really call someone popular just because a few people in class are willing to say ‘hello’? As usual, you’re determining flaws on your own.

“exaggeratedly weird personality”

She’s just incredibly honest and dense/innocent. Her personality isn’t that strange.

12. Kim says:

Cross Game is scheduled for 51 episodes

13. Maa says:

Personally I agree with the ones telling you to drop it. Not because I like it, but because that poll you held was obviously going to lead to you blogging a show like that since thats what the majority of anime/manga viewers seem enjoy, Romanace/School Life.

There hasn’t been one thing is this series that makes it anything above average and sure I guess the teen girls will love this stuff but it really isnt anything more than average.

I love this blog because most of the series you’ve rated high/reviwed, which many other bloggers failed to blog/review/, turned out to be absouletly amazing and greatly changed the type of animes I watch. This series just doesn’t fit in a blog of this caliber and belongs else where like RC.

14. Maa says:

I think your comparison with this to twilight was perfect. Sure it may just be another average story from a a genre thats largely overused, but they make it look good and sparkly, and it appeals to the masses. Sure there are guy fans to twilight too but what do you think the majority of the fans and what makes it so popular are, teenage females. Just like this anime, how the majoirty of female teens would prefer romance/school life.

15. tsotha says:

Same here, except for me it’s Chizu and Ayane. Whereas Sawako and Kazehaya are pretty one-dimensional, with Chizu and Ayane you get some richness and subtlety. They’re both really likable, the kind of friends you wish you had in high school. I would love to see a spin-off with these two characters going off to college or transferring schools.

The scene with Ayane and Kurumi sent chills up my spine – that could get interesting if they handle it well.

I can’t decide yet if Sanada is interesting in his own right or just as a love interest for Chizu. He didn’t really get much dialog until this episode.

16. Sapphire says:

“The reasons people like Kimi ni Todoke are relatively simple: it has charm, it’s sweet, the character interaction feels natural and makes you smile, Sawako’s progress somehow soothes some of life’s little frustrations and most importantly it’s entertaining.” – Kanao

I agree with this, entirely. Even though there are shoujo series way better than KnT, I think it does a nice job at being what it’s supposed to be: a sweet story between two innocent teenagers finding love for the first time. The fact that both Kazehaya and Sawako are clueless does make it a bit annoying sometimes, but it would be out of character for them to be forward.

Also I disagree when you say that their relationship is progressing in a forced way. Actually I think it couldn’t be more natural, since they’re slowly getting to know each other and their own feelings.

The only thing that’s bugging me about KnT is the fact that they’re taking too much time on something that could be dealt with in one/two episodes. I’ll keep watching it anyway though, since I’m curious to see how Kazehaya and Sawako’s relationship is going to evolve, as well as Ryu and Chizu’s.

Psgels, if you don’t want to blog KnT, don’t force yourself. I was one of the people who voted for it and I love to read your reviews, but I can’t say I’m enjoying the ones you write for KnT since they always feel like they were written as a chore.

17. Charlie says:

I think your retarded hahah
    everything you just said is completely inaccurate, Kurumi wasn’t trying to get a love triangle started, she was trying to stop one from getting started. She likes him and doesn’t want Sawako in the way. This is an amazing show with the best characters I’ve seen. I guess this show only appeals to people who can comprehend the depths of peoples emotions.
    Did you honestly just say DNangel has a more realistic take on romance than Kimi ni Todoke???? That is probably the funniest thing I’ve ever heard, I think you need to get out of the house a little more, cause guys flying down into your house and kissing you out of the blue typically doesn’t happen in real life hahahah.

18. Kanao says:

“since thats what the majority of anime/manga viewers seem enjoy, Romanace/School Life.”

No offense intended but damn you’re being delusional. If you had ever paid attention to the anime-fansub community you’d know that Kimi ni Todoke may just be the first romance shoujo anime to generate such mass-appeal among everyone, not just girls. This is pretty impressive when you consider that there appear to be many more guys than girls in this particular ‘community’. The ones with any interest in Japanese culture seem to be much more active in the live-action and manga communities. And they also seem to prefer livejournal to the ‘Anime Blogosphere’.

“I think your comparison with this to twilight was perfect.”

Once again someone who doesn’t have a clue what they’re talking about. Don’t respond unless you’ve watched these (protip – they prove just how bad Twilight is): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L253VLwH3w

19. Jessi says:

De-lurking to hopefully provide some insight into why people might like the show (and if not, I apologize in advance).

I watch the series weekly in a mixed-gender group (3 guys, 4 girls) and everyone is enjoying it. I think that perhaps the reasoning behind this is that, while much of the show feels very typical of the shoujo genre, it’s just slightly off from people’s expectations and those little elements of surprise seem to really engage the group.

Perhaps what I personally find most enjoyable is Sawako, since she’s such an atypical shoujo heroine. I can’t tell you how sick I am of female leads being either bimbos or tsunderekko. Sawako may be unrealistically naive, but she’s also earnest and sweet. Where your typical female lead would want to seek vengeance, Sawako genuinely just wants people to understand. She assumes the best in people and doesn’t expect them to manipulate her. I find that appealing about her.

The supporting characters are also engaging because, as my husband put it, they’re people that he would like to know and with whom he’d like to hang out. I especially like Yano and Yoshida, because they’re also misunderstood in their own way, judging by how easily rumors about them being a slut and a delinquent spread throughout the student body.

I also have to give some credit to the background artwork in this series which is just beautifully colored and feels warm. Our group often gets a giggle out of the copious shoujo bubbles, but I think that the use of those visual tropes coupled with the unusually high-quality visual elements sums up what gives the show its broad appeal; it embraces the typical aspects of the shoujo genre and also one-ups them in certain ways, making its characters a bit different and having them react to typical shoujo-genre situations in slightly different manners than one might expect.

But, if you don’t like it, you don’t like it, and there’s nothing wrong with that. I will echo the sentiment from some other commenters that it might be time to stop blogging the show, especially if it’s become a chore.

20. naixil says:

seriously, if you really don’t like it, why bother blogging just because your poll says it’s one of the top series to watch and blog in Fall?

stop antagonizing those of us who actually love the show for its simplicity.

because come on, it’s a high school setting. do you seriously think there’s so much backstabbing and hidden motives like adult series?

so really.

stop blogging this, and save all of us the agony.

21. PL says:

as one of those rare Western anime fans in their thirties, I can tell you that backstabbing and hidden motives were MUCH more common when I was in high school than they are in the adult world that most of us live in. While my relationships in high school were always complex things with daily betrayals and alliances taking place in a complex social milleiu by teenagers so otherwise unengaged they filled their time and directed their libidos at pointless coming-of-age rituals, seemingly inane group traditions and an otherwise disgusting game of social behavior that only a few could ever play really well. In the adult world, relationships have more depth, but people also tend to value honesty, loyalty and sincerity more, and one becomes judged not so much by how you are but by who you are. There is much less deciet, backstabbing, etc. A show about high school depicted innocently is what is unrealistic.

22. Glass says:

I believe I just watch it because it’s cheerful and cute and makes you feel better… yeah, some episodes were a drag to watch, but at some moments it feels like school all over again.

BTW, Kazehaya is finally getting some character development…

23. tsotha says:

Where did you go to high school? Where I come from high school girls are the most vicious, backstabbingist creatures on the face of the earth.

24. wtfblog says:

People like it because people like it

25. wtfblog says:

The very likely reason for liking (and yes I overuse like) this show is all the innocence it brings out. It shows how things really happen all without going into a casually perfect world but still keeping a degree of warmth to appeal to a wide range of audiences. I would say it’s very much a matter of personal taste and experiece. It surely does go with the moe anime idea, but it also doesn’t go into unhandled humor giving it an all around soft feeling. The relationship between the characters is very stereotypical , shy girl, indecisive boy and various agents like kurumi or sanada who serve purely for screenwriting purposes. Psgels probably already figured out the very logical outcome of the anime so he is not to blame. It would be intricate to not express what he , thinks in this situation but hey, its his blog :p

26. headachebaby says:

Kanao & Jessi: I agreed with your comments because they are my same thoughts.

I’m a girl and I love shoujo animes when it’s done right. So far, I enjoyed this anime because Sawako’s a irregular heroine. From her lack of socialization, she could be called a dull personality but what do you expect from someone who doesn’t socialize. Sawako is surprised at the acceptance she have received from fellow classmates. She also have trouble understanding Kurumi’s fake friendship but is excited to be noticed. Sawako is not your typical cute heroine and hey, I’d rather watch more dull characters like Sawako than the cute, annoying types. In fact, Sawako’s sweet and honest.

Aagh…I keep hearing about Bokura ga Ita and how it’s a better shoujo. I’ve watched it and there were moments I enjoyed but I couldn’t say I enjoyed it completely to go back and re-watch it. If I like the anime, I could go back and re-watch it, but this anime wasn’t one of them. The agonizing part was how the main guy and girl kept distancing themselves from their issues as a couple. Instead, they involved another guy and girl which made their issues more complicated. Sure, I agreed that the anime depicted real romances (love triangles) but how they kept dragging on their issues got too annoying. At times I was just agonizing how each of them couldn’t keep their heads straight. It’s like they knew how rocky their relationship was but instead of solving it together, they hung out with the other guy and girl and created more issues.

So, I quickly checked the other “better” shoujo-series recommended by PSGELS and all of them look annoying except for Glass Mask. I’ll check that one out.

The animation for Kimi ni Todoke is awesome and I like the music.

PSGELS, if this anime is completely dull to you and you’re agonizing to write about it weekly, then it’s only fair for you to drop it. But I always check your blog and like to get your views on the animes I’m currently watching (this being one of them). So I hope you don’t end up dropping it. ^_^

27. naxsis says:

I love this show! But why is a more difficult question than I thought…

The basis of the attraction for me is simply two things, one of which is that Sawako is such a gosh darn nice person. It is so refreshing to see a character that is so guileless and genuine that it makes me want to pull for her in every situation. The blushing, awkward romance between her and Kazehaya reminds me of high school (and post high school life sometimes) to a tee.

I suppose the other reason that I love this show is simply the social awkwardness of Sawako strikes a chord with my own social shortcomings. To see someone grow from a isolated existence to someone more integrated with her classmates makes me smile. Sawako’s trials and tribulations remind me in a positive way that people are for the most part genuinely good and that one doesn’t have to be awkward around others forever.

That being said, please don’t interpret this to mean that all fans of the show are shut-ins, unable to interact successfully with others. I’m sure everyone has had feelings of loneliness and social awkwardness and perhaps this shows resonates with those times. I do alright nowadays but there are times I can relate…

The characters may not have layers upon layers (at least what we’ve seen so far) and the plot may not twist but the show just is great. Love it or hate it, I’ll still watch it with a smile :)

28. legato29 says:

I like this show simply because it has a uncanny ability to evoke the tension, anxiety, and awkwardness of social interactions. This is, in part, achieved through its many subtle animations and dynamic facial expressions. The art style only enhances and furthers this effect. All in all, this feeling of tension and anxiety help to beautifully illustrate a young girl’s path toward social competence.

29. spoon says:

I like the post from legato29…..I don’t think this show is really about romance as much as it is about social acceptace and competance, i.e. i don’t think romance is supposed to be the main focus. That might be why the romance doesn’t seem that great to some people, it’s not the main point of the show, it’s just another element of Sawako becoming more socially accepted/assimilated, and THAT’s the main focus of the show and what the fans seem to really like.

I don’t know, this isn’t my absolute favorite series. But I tend not to agree with psgels on everything anyways (I absoultely love Cross Game – that and Tokyo Magnitude have been the only really enjoyable series for me for the past couple seasons, and I certanly don’t stick with most of the shows covered here)

But it’s nice to watch…and honestly, Chizu and Ayane are two of my favorite characters ever. They should get more screen time.

30. NguyenSon says:

I think I’m gonna disagree with lots of people here saying that you would do everyone a favour by dropping the serie. I always find it interesting to see differing point of views on any subjects. Should Pgels do only reviews that agree with your opinion? It’s by watching people debating a subject that you can have a more accurate idea about it.

I don’t understand all those people saying you are “hurting” them because you disagree with them, do you guys shun all the people that disagree with you? Should they only compliment you and agree with you? Or should they just keep quiet when they disagree? I doubt most of you would do that in real life and I see no reason why you should act in this way on the net. Moreover, if you don’t like reading his opinion, you can always choose not to read him.

I also need to point out that this post is only addressed to people like Charlie, Kanao, Naixil and the like. I don’t mind those who specifically addressed the reason why they liked the show, I found those opinion as interesting as Pgels’.

31. Kanao says:

NguyenSon: disagreeing with people and insulting them are very different things. Psgels complains about many episodes of Kimi ni Todoke and I’ve only chosen to comment this time; because he’s being offensive. He’s talking as though KnT viewers must be shallow fangirls simply because he doesn’t like the show. I’m a guy, as are most of my friends watching it.

My responses are to his childish contempt, not his complaints – although they too seem to consist of nitpicking and flaws that don’t exist rather than any logical arguments. I recommended he drop the show because disliking a show bad enough to fall this low means that he’s simply not in any position to provide an alternative perspective.

Of course, he said “fans of Kimi ni Todoke, enlighten me!” and yet he’s not even willing to respond to our explanations of why it’s good.

32. PL says:

So here is how you can make this show actually worth watching: Sawako is teased about looking like Sadako relentlessly, even Kazehaya’s kindness turns out to have been an elaborate prank, and Sawako loses it and starts murdering her classmate. Screaming,
    “You want Sadako, I’ll give you Sadako!” The rest of the season could be her mercilessly hunting down each and every one of her tormentors. Then this show might be worth continuing to watch. She is killed before finally killing Kazehaya. Next season, the murders start again, and the show could be called Kimi ni Todoke: Blood Sparkles in the Moonlight, and it turns out that Kazehaya has snapped and he’s the one murdering people now. Then, we find out that actually, Kazehaya wasn’t really in on the prank, that he was working with Sawako all along, and that as a kid he had a problem spelling and reading and got teased a lot too, and he transformed himself into someone popular just to make his revenge more satisfying.

33. Frost says:

What a disappointment this turned out to be… It keeps getting worse

Couldnt watch through this episode, so here is another dropped anime for Fall… I think he only anime Im still watching is Darker than Black, hurray!

Wtf? After the crap that was episodes 4-6, they still have to go and get yet another love triangle and misunderstanding started? I thought Kurumi wasnt gonna be your evil bitch antagonist, but I was wrong

This might have worked if it was the first anime I ever saw, but now its just a waste of my time

34. Kuni says:

You see what happens when you blog a twilight like series. You get commenter like the ones here trying their hardest to defend something that is just average and pretty much the exact same as many shoujo’s/romance that have been done before.
    TO you people taking offence, deal with it. Thats what a blog is about, bloggers stating how they feel, and obviously this show turned out to be crap, nothing above the average romance.
    And don’t spout this crap that its the first school life, romance, shoujo to appeal to all both female and males. There are plently of shoujo’s that have been very succesful without being the typical fake school life formula

35. Shinmaru says:

Personally, I agree with you. The show to me is best when it is easygoing and emphasizes the characters growing up together; the two big drama arcs have fallen really flat, I think. They’re just really clumsy — the only really enjoyable part has been the cracks in Kurumi’s armor. It’s funny when she has to force herself to keep up her golden image. All her other deviousness is just getting tiresome, though.

36. riddle says:

place a couple of shojou themed story lines out there, make it into an anime and WHAMP! girls would be squeling over it. like twilight, bloody stupid book, don’t even get me started on why i hate it. Kimi na todeke was spoiled by crappy anime story tellings and stupid male lead character. and why, why tell me why must the girl always fall in love with the stupid dull boy first AND why must there always be love traingles

37. Machi says:

While I’m certainly no fan of the series I would just like to point out that the whole “love triangle” aspect people keep complaining about is nothing more than a passing episode. If anything its just the series trying to go into the conventions of any high school romance, i.e. there needs to be a love triangle arc (much like how we have ecchi shows with the convention of hotspring/beach arcs).

While comparing it to Twilight may need better contextualizing, in this case its just the POPULARITY and yes DEPTH that could be akin to it but certainly not the other aspects especially its catering to young teen women.

Moving on I do disagree with the points raised by its fans/devils advocate. For one I fail to see how anyone could label the interactions of characters as “natural”. Case in point already is this episode to show just how “unnatural” or a better word would be fairy tale-esque interactions. Face it Kurumi and Sawako’s interractions are anything but natural, would anyone actually try to befriend their love rival who tried to sabotage them or even pursue talking to them to the point of confessing to them (I think not). Sure you can say its in her extremely sweet and innocent personality but thats exactly why I call it almost fairy tale-esque because such a personality is far too pure and exagerrated to be anything natural but definitely a shoe in for fantasies or fairy tales. Hell another case in point is how Sawako made friends with Chizu and Yano, seriously the way they suddenly made friends like that was definitely not natural nor are their interactions.

Now this is precisely why the charm that others are so enamored with fails, to connect to what appears from the posts above, with a larger audience than I expected including psgels (myself included). I don’t see myself adhering to the suspension of disbelief required by the series in accepting its exaggerations on Sawako or Kazehaya, cmon ITS SO DAMN OBVIOUS THAT KAZEHAYA LIKES SAWAKO YET YOU SUDDENLY GET THROWN IN STARTING WITH THIS ARC THAT SAWAKO IS DENSE (when clearly that was less pronounced in previous stories). So rather than charmed one in the end feels frustrated with the series. Thing is its not just a matter of suspension of disbelief but also the weaker side of the story telling.

For one as I mentioned last post with this series I still fail to see WHY Sawako is trying to hard to be “normal”. When clearly being “normal” is being sheep or mindless much like her classmates who follow every word of Kazehaya around. I mean fitting in is quite a normal thing in most animes and mangas but in this series it doesn’t appear at all appealing considering how mindless and cardboard the class is, its quite devoid of personality and no wonder Kazehaya reigns supreme over them all.

Then you have the sudden conversions of characters, Yano and Chizu are the case in point for that, that are far too quick that it does appear effortless to gain their friendship. Or if not characters say events, as this episode would show with things turning around way too quickly to Kurumi’s disadvantage.

These are just some of my gripes regarding the series.

38. Kiseki says:

I fail at arguing, so I won’t bother.
    I love watching Kimi ni Todoke because…it just makes me feel warm and happy. I’ve been able to laugh and cry (though this started only after watching Cross Game) while watching anime, but this is probably the first that just makes me smile.

Also, please review Ashita no Nadja. Maybe it’s because I don’t hear about it much, but I find it underrated. D: (The manga can burn in the depths of hell for all I care though.)

39. shao says:

I was going to comment here for the first time, but Machi already took the words right out of my mouth.

40. Michelle says:

So when do the rest of the episodes air from this point on? Is it really airing in Japan at this moment…??Please get back to me with the info guys, i appreciate it ;)

41. Michelle says:

and if any of you know any good romantic comedies of anime…please send ur suggestions my way!

42. Ladholyman says:

Looks like this show really isn’t your cup of tea. I recommend dropping it.

If watching this show doesn’t give you a fuzzy feeling, then you are only wasting your time.

However, I think this is one of the best shows of 2009.

43. nitaipriya says:

ahhh i wish you hadn’t given up on this series :) .. really ep 13 is one of the few times an anime made me spontaneously laugh out loud while no one else is around. it was great ^^

44. madoka says:

So I just started watching the show yesterday and I’m up to episode 12 now. I checked in to see if the show was covered here. I’m surprised by the drama.

I can understand why someone would dislike the show. Especially when that person lacks empathy toward what the main character is going through.

Yeah the Twilight comment is WAYYY over exaggerating. Instead of judging the show’s popularity, just judge the show. Getting frustrated about what other people think is wasting time.

@Kaiser, Horriblesubs do direct downloads.
Animefans ftw is dead, animetake doesn't do direct downloads =< Have to find new direct download site now =<
Just finished Rage of Bahamut and I have to say I didn't expect an emotional climax. Also Rita is the best in show here. But really I don't see the prospect of sequel, especially a 24-episodes one.
Evidently so. That still feels just wrong. He's sort of her father. Ehhhh
"I am a slave to my own blood" -Konatsu.
Aldnoah needed actually interesting characters and character arcs instead of boring assholes. Why does it need more time on the lore when it's just generic scifi jib
One minor thing that baffled me beside *that* in Rakugo was they don't show Konatsu's rakugo in the end. It makes more sense if we can see her perform, but I understand that the show have to put new rakugo material and that was impposible.
@Aidan: I think *that twist* is sweet (not). Points for the show for having a balls to address that, but...
And that's Rakugo finished. A delayed finale but non the less a satisfying one....Though on the matter of *that* I am going full head canon and pretending it didn't happen. Because HELL FUCKING NO.
HelghastKillzone
Troyca's Aldnoah.Zero was 24 eps long but it really needed 50 to flesh out concepts and lore.
HelghastKillzone
*Virgin Soul
HelghastKillzone
Apparently, Virgin is going to be 24 episodes and Re:creators is 22 eps long. I don't know how to feel about that.
Catching up with Rage of Bahamoth myself. Say I really enjoy what I see so far. Characters are its weakest part and pacing is uneven, but everything else work quite well
... Feherlofia is Hungarian one. But I have a really fond feeling towards Soviet and those ex-communist animation. Movies as well
@Kaiser: yep, know both of them. Actually
@Topgavin: wuah your love with Madoka. I was like watching that show for 3 times, but Rebellion just once. I still think that Rebellion adds up to the series narratively. Shaft (be themselves) put a lots of extra background details to the Bluray version, so I'm sure you can't go wrong watching Madoka on Bluray.
Guess I'm just in the mood for some comfycore anime. =)
There's really stuff I need to get round to watching like alderman and chain chronicle, giving utawerumono's s2 another chance, watching those dumb old golgo ovas, catching up on Shamo and city hunter where I left off.
@Mario: If you are looking for something to review for the world animation project, I recommend Fehérlófia , a Soviet era psychadelic folktale animation. Also look into the available short animations by Alexander Petrov (he uses a style of animation which mixes oil painting on glass).
Konstantinos Travlos
Finished watching Chain Chronicle :Light of Hacchetias (TV version). While not something to write home about it was not bad. It did a tried old recipe well.
@SuperMario, we dont have to, but its fun to try and pinpoint the real-world timeline to the shows timeline.

@Topgavin, oh yeah. Madoka is amazing.
Just finished watching the Madoka Magica series, 4th rewatch but 1st time on blurays. The show is such a work of art, and I was surprised by the sheer quality of the backgrounds in the blurays. It looked 3x as expensive to make as the normal show, Shaft must've poured a lot of money into post-screening editing.
They are all just average shows to be honest, but at least they're deserved to have full reviews.
and just an update for readers, I intend to give full reviews on shows that I followed but haven't covered here, starting from this seasons. The verdicts are: Seiren, Demi-chan, Dragon Maid and Hand Shakers
Do we really need to know all the historical context to enjoy/ appreciate Tanya? I think making a comparison does have influence in your expectation of the show in later events.
But this is all from wiki articles, since the last time I actually studied WW1 & 2 was in highschool. So im alittle rough on the subject :P
I thought, time-wise, we were past WW1, but this was in reference to how Germany at the end of WW1 was defeated, but not destroyed, which allowed them to rebuild enough to start WW2. You know, that famous quote "This is not peace, this is an Armstice for 20 years".

Thought it was a reversal of that.
@Mario: Just one more note on silent voice, only one of those three omitted subplots I felt worth taking issue with, they leave out a couple scenes that flesh out Shoko's mother more.
@Helgast, while that fairly obviously hinted at, don't spoil future events.
HelghastKillzone
@Lenlo We are way past the stalemate of WW1 and onto this anime's interpretation of the Battle of Dunkirk. Season Two is gonna be fighting against the Brits, Americans, the French Resistance and the Soviets.
I did some reading up, since WW1 & 2 arnt the points in history im really into, and I get her anger now. If they get a second season, possible time skip to WW2 because of it?

The episode was great btw, she just seemed to come out relatively unscathed for what she went through
@Lenlo, It annoyed me that she got injured but then magically healed within the next scene but otherwise I loved the episode. It may be difficult to grasp in the show but if you know your history then you would realise just why Tanya was so bent out of shape. In truth this was Tanya's first major loss. One that renders her previous victories utterly worthless.
@Anon, Your gonna have to elaborate on that "Most." When it comes to the three shows I was covering this season I thought I was praising them quite a bit. Only thing really bothering me is Rakugo stretching out it's ending. Otherwise this is one of the best seasons of anime I have seen in quite a while.
Hell yeahh, OwariMonogatari will air next Summer season. I'm hyped. Thank you Shaft
But it's good to hear your opinions on that. Like you said, honest opinion is good so I hope to hear more from reader's comments
@Anon958618: We writers are here to give you readers our personal impressions, and of course if we don't like a show we'd give the reasons why we don't like it, we can't really say otherwise if we found an episode to be sub-par. Personally, I have nothing but praise on my posts to the point I think I have to be stricter :)
I used to like reading this blog, but I find that most of the posts now are overly negative. Although I think honest opinion is good, it's a bit of a turn off in my opinion for readers...
Its nice to see everyone grown up in Rakugo. Old Yotaro and Konatsu. Also, how in the heck is Matsuda stil alive. That man was old when Yakumo was young. Finally, people need to stop telling that story if its gonna haunt everyone, I mean jeez.
It's Tanya for me next ^^
It ends happily. But go and see the twist. They make it like the most natural thing of all
Watchin Rakugo next. It end well?
Tanya disappointed me alittle. There was a change to actually hurt Tanya, but nope, she still comes out of it unharmed. She hurt herself more when she blew herself up than when someone else blew her up. Least shes seemingly drunk on war.
so sad to see Rakugo end... And that little twist. How can they make that twist so poetic?
@Lenlo: me & Kaiser? We were talking about the movie Koe to Katachi/ A Silent Voice
I must have missed something, because I have no idea idea what is being talked about.
@Kaiser: I purposely put off the manga so I could watch the movie with fresh perspective. 2 weeks until we have a screening here
@kaiser: woah, thanks Kaiser. I know packaging a 6-volume manga into a feature film means they have to cut quite a lot of subplots, I just hope the main plot is going to be rewarding
Actually, there aren't that many manga that portray disabled characters, not even hentai.
@Mario: One of the people I got talking to after the film talked about Clannad and we both laughed about "what if Lars van Trier worked at Key"
Rakugo you are now on hold again until you end.
@Mario: I look forward to your review of it.
@Mario: There were, because I talked to the audience afterwards and looked around, people who weren’t familiar with anime there, so it does have a wider appeal.
While cheesy/melodramatic obviously its nonetheless heartfelt and well executed.
The voice actress for Shoko is required to well, I can only call it deaf-voice-talk and she pulls it off quite well, it’s never cringy or forced.
Comparatively to other anime dealing at any point with bullying this does fare better and because it’s animated by kyoani, visually it’ll catch interest. The protaganists regret and redemption story still remains a very watchable one/theme.
@Mario: Putting a voice on Kawai and Ueno will make you rage at them more.
While I didn’t think it was too bad/overly used, you’re going to have to do with the maudlin piano score Kyoani gives it.
@Mario: At 130 minutes it’s a little lengthy, especially for an anime film, there is the feeling of attempting to stuff in the manga, three subplots at least have been removed/shortened yet at the same time despite the skipping in parts it does still feel long/aimless. Based on that I did feel it flows better in manga format.
@Mario: @Mario: I just came home from seeing koe to katachi/silent voice. Can't really say enough to fill a review, but it gets the general 3 1/2 out of 5 from me.
Warning the next few posts contain words words words:
But I can take or leave Kaiju stuff.
Wheras Mothra was the most fun.
Aside from that, I've seen a few Godzilla films, Mothra vs Godzilla, shin Godzilla, Garth Edwards Godzilla, 90s American Godzilla and original 50s, the 90s one has aged horribly, the recent American one felt more faithful, the 50s one and the new Japanese one feel most socially relevent.
Wait...whah, why'd I get logged out I registered =<
I previously had no interest in a Godzilla Anime film. But after reading the concept here I am now very very interested: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-03-24/godzilla-anime-film-reveals-full-title-story-new-visual-november-premiere/.113863
@Kaiser: they are still around. And believe it or not the actual band members are Damon Albarn (former lead singer of Blur) taking care of all the music and Jamie Hewlett who taking of the animation. I love alternative music, I can enjoy hip-hop music and I'm a fan of animation => this band basically has everything I personally love
@Mario: Kaiser here, posting from public computer. I had no idea the gorillaz were still around, many years ago I would have listened to their Clint Eastwood song, aswell as dirty harry and feel good inc, I also remember the artstyle of their videos catching my attention.
Anyone here listen to Gorillaz? They're one of my favorite band and their new song Saturnz Barz is great. Excited for their coming album now
I guess I'm considering blood blockade also because I'm burnt out o demanding and old films to some extent.
@Kaiser: I really enjoyed the first season of Blockade. It's one of those cases where I think the delayed of the last episode killed all the exciment regarding the show. I actually fall behind and then catched up again as soon as the last episode was out so I enjoyed everything so much more
@Aidan: makes me really wonder why some of the studios are very uptight about their show's details. Like, they have to know if it is a short series or not, right.
Yet its not exactly a show that fits into being my thing.
Blood blockade battlefront is one of those shows that is always in the back of my head, despite negative biasI managed to at least enjoy some of gungrave, I grew up, sort of with trigun, so with blockade having Yuji Nightow involved theres always that part of me that says to watch blood blockade battlefront.
This is one of the annoying things about previews. You got o the trouble of looking it up and writing on it only for it to get delayed or turn out to be a short series.
ohh, Blood Blockade Battlefront moves back to October airing. I might have a chance to cover it after all. Though look at how it gets delay and the change of director, it yells more concerns than optimism
Yep, Manga is completed at 6 Volumes. But it's kinda weird that the series managed to cover 6 volumes when it's so slow paced. I normally thought that 5 to 6 episodes was needed to cover a manga volume on average.
@anon954341: ACCA will finish in 1 cour, as the manga is already completed and from what I heard episode 11 & 12 cover the last 5 chapters of the manga.
is Acca 13's story going to finish in 1 cour, or is it still ongoing?
Honestly do wonder how much longer anime blogging will be a thing and how much they have to compete with popular youtuber's channels.
I once had some idea of doing a forum with a friend, it never went anywhere.
Aidan gave good advice anon, I still found old posts from when I was teenager archived somewhere online and it made me facepalm.
Eh, I wanted to throw myself into Mario and your conversation about personalities by talking about myself, force of habit.
@Kaiser, Not sure what this rambling is about but good for you...I guess?
@Anon, Blogs take a lot of work for very little in return. I wouldn't try starting one unless you are ready to make a huge commitment. Besides at your age(Based on that comment) it would be best to not put too much on the internet. The internet never forgets and it can come back to haunt you later in life.
The reason I bring some of this up is because I think that even if someone isn't the most emotional person out there, they shouldn't ignore/bash on certain shows/genres because of that, even if you don't get feelings out of it, the story/drama/characters could still be worthwhile.
I do think getting pissed off though is much easier irl than doing it online where it doesn't bother me as much.
And it surprises me alot that I followed so many romance manga years ago, enjoyed them, but I've never been a romantic person irl at all.
I also hate incompetence/failure and am generally not especially patient.
I care about others and appearances mainly to extent it either is of benefit, if I have to or it avoids hassle.
People tend to think I'm cold, articulate, blunt irl too.
I'm not a sentimental or passionette/emotional person irl, I don't like wasting time with other peoples shit and don't bother with it, avoid looking at people or touching them physically, talk in long dry speeches and in general come off as a quiet, reserved but snarky/cynical person.
I probably unknowingly come off as different on this site than I would irl.
Honestly I'd veer towards depressing or surreal/strange/messed up work more out of just wanting to see weird and depressing stuff happen and little else, just interests me, I can't remember the last time I cried.
um i wanted to make my own blog but it wants a email but i dont want my parents finding out
It is weird how we never clash on what we want to cover on each season. Anyway I need someone to contrast my egotisical self so it's all good.
haha, Aidan: heartless grumpy monster & Mario: sentimental sappy bloke. Readers, you got yourself quite an odd combination of writers here.
Anonymous951955
We'll see; trailers can give false impressions
Anonymous951955
Not that all changes from source adaptations are terrible, but in this case, at least the trailer makes it look pretty bad.
Anonymous951955
It looks not great; I understand the need to change it a bit to suit the format/audience, but at what point does it turn from adaption to "loosely based on"?
HelghastKillzone
I'm glad we're past the phase of moe club shows.
@Helghast, now that's something I never thought I would hear.
HelghastKillzone
Hell ya. We are in a golden age of anime that is filled with options and quality.
What a great week! Iron Blooded Orphans, Onihei, Little Witch Academia and ACCA 13 all had great episodes! I am spoiled!
@Anon and @Aikan

The LoGH manga remake has been out. It did not work for me.

I hope he anime goes its own way. I do trust Production IG, so I hope. I think it might not be this year. No lgoic, just a hunch.
@Anon, Only info I can find is that it's coming out this year and it will be by Production IG. But I think you are right in that if it;s coming this year it will definitely be winter.
Feeling rather cautious about the remake myself. LoGH is dated visually but in a way it is a product of it's time and things you could forgive in the old version wouldn't be so forgivable in the new.
Does anybody know when that LoGH readaptation is coming? It's supposed to be this year right? Probably winter right?
But I will give it a full review anyways because all the amount of time I spent in that series should be paid off somehow, right?
But serious Gohands is a studio that had potential its just a shame its wasted on rubbish writers. Although I did like mardock scramble, because cyberpunk =)
If I met handshakers in public I'd refuse to shake its hand =D
Oh, it's actually just an extra Hand Shakers episode that serves as a prequel story. Not that bad then
Not to disregard Hand Shakers, but the best way to describe how I feel about that series is mind-numbing
They tried with that Military guy and his daughter but not by much.
But I do agree that there needs to be more to the characters, right now its JUST Tanya.
As for Tanya, having caught up with it, its a nice trashy guilty pleasure, especially due to the protagonist and I enjoy the setting because I'm a war film fan and like some of the action/politicking. I still do wish it was aesthetically a bit better. The dub isn't that bad and I'd welcome a second season.
In an ideal world Kino's journey would have been a good model for what light novel adaptations can be and SHOULD be.
If we must have more light novel adaptations, I would prefer them to be like Tanya, Muvluv, okay hardly breathtaking, but still better than that thing Aidan linked.
*Sigh* It looks exactly how I imagined it would and its terrible.
Please dont tell me thats an actual title.
In another world with my smart phone light novel to get an anime.

Oh my god...This literally sounds like a joke title you would see within an anime. Tried giving it an honest chance by reading it and it's just shit. Just pure terrible.
If people in Japan are actually buying blurays thinking its a good show then something is seriously wrong with the world.
@Topgavin, maybe too many people watched it because it was so terrible. I haven't watched past episode 1 but it doesn't sound like it improved.
Just incase you guys were avidly waiting for the announcement, Hand Shakers is getting a prequel season because it's apparently selling well......
Should be happy for it, though I'm a bit disappointed that I can't be able to cover it
Inside Mari gets live-action series adaptation. Why not anime?? Duh
Spike
Little Witch Academia finally tips it's hand on the overall plot! I'm pretty pleased and think some direction might help bump it up from just being 'good' overall.
HelghastKillzone
@KTravlos Still watching it week by week and I'll write up a review on the second season of Iron-Blooded when it ends.
@Mario: It is however the kind of anime film that would have the wide audience appeal though, as in anime for people who don't watch anime.
@Kaiser: just prove that people has paid attention to anime. That's an encouraging sign actually
Feck, silent voice was booked out when I got there just now....should have booked in advance, showing at 7:00 on Friday booking it now.
@KTravlos: I haven't, but that more because I'm not a big fan of Mecha genre. I believe one of our writer HelghastKillzone still follow the series
No idea, if you are all still watching MS Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans. I am, and while the 2nd Season toned down some of the elements that made the 1st Season good, it is still pretty good with the last episode doing a great job. If it keeps it, it definitely is head to head with Turn A Gundam for my favorite long-form Gundam Series (I am doing Gundam Origins for the original story)
Mhmm. It was one of those shows it weave adult themes into a kids show, so it had something for both. Now I can also appreciate the artstyle that doesnt use hard black outlines for everything.
If anything I get so much more out of Samurai Jack now than when I watched it as a kid.
Love that dude Aidan. And yes Kaiser, I think anyone get enjoy it now. I love that its back, but even without that its easily standing on its own
How much of this love of samurai jack is a nostalgia driven thing? I'm not knocking that nostalgia but would it be possible to get something out of the show now if I never watched it when I was younger?
Yeah, that conversation was great. Really shows you how messed up hes become. Its also amazing when you realize that was the last set of spoken dialogue in the episode. There was not a single word uttered in the second half.
The audience who enjoyed samurai Jack has grown up, them bringing up seppuku and blood is possibly a part of that.
Scene with the coffins was awesome as was the fight in the dark. My personal favorite part of the episode though was Jack arguing with his old design self. And young jack suggesting committing seppuku made my eyebrows raise. I mean..damn.
I agree Aidan. That quick shot of Jack vs the Daughter, with the sudden blood, suprised me as much as it did Jack. I really loved the scene with the coffins. The music nad sound was just great there.
@Lenlo, It was a really great episode. I love the meta of Jack being worn down by the wait and the wait the viewers had to endure for the new season. I is rather odd seeing blood in Samurai Jack though but it does make that particular moment have so much more impact.
April 16th for NZ. It is a lesser known movie than Kimi no na wa though, so I do wonder how available it's going to be in cinemas
This second episode of Jack was really just amazing. Its making full use of the new budget/tech for the art and of the new rating, along with the impact the timeskip would have on Jack. The cinematography was superb as well.
@Kaiser: Koe ko machi will creen in Aussie in the beginning of April as well. I'll go to watch it; but I would love to jear your thoughts on the movie.
There is a preview screening of koe to kachi on Monday night, depending I may go, I may review it or at least talk about it on here.
I'm dying waiting for the Blame! anime film adaptation to come out in May. I've wanted an adaptation for years.
And I'm too much of a cheap-ass to actually buy anything, don't even use legal streaming for films or anime/manga/comics, pirate almost everything.
Or shelves for that matter.
I've fallen out of the collectors thing pretty much entirely. I don't like to advertise any of my interests on my bedroom wall either.
Some years ago I ended up selling almost all of my anime dvds/vhs and manga, comic books aswell, took down my posters and moved what figures I had left into attic boxes , just no space for it and it was a good way to get some quick extra cash.
I love Rakugo as well, im not meaning to bad talk it at all. I simply also agree with Aiden that slow rolling us with Yakumo's death was poorly done and that its feeling stretched.

Scum’s Wish – 11 [A Kind God]

It’s strange, for a show that almost certainly make viewers furious one way or another, be it totally love it or hate it; I remain indifferent for last couple of episode. The thing is, I can’t ship this Akane – Narumi relationship, because I’ve witnessed this kind of relationship in real life before and it […]

Little Witch Academia – 11[Blue Moon]

I don’t mind the lighthearted shenanigans of Little Witch Academia but in my opinion it’s episodes like this that will truly make the show memorable. After ten episodes of mere hints as to the state of magic and it’s history we get a truckload of answers. Why is magic being considered antiquated? Because magic is […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 24

When I started this season of Rakugo I was under the impression that this would be Konatsu’s and Yotaro’s story seeing as Yakumo’s had reached it’s end. However to my dismay it appeared that halfway through the season Yakumo has hijacked the series. I previously stated that the story of Rakugo has already ended with […]

Saga of Tanya the Evil – 10[Path to Victory]

What am I to say when the majority of the episode is detailing a military operation? I admit that content has become spare in this series as of late and the Tanya vs God battle has more or less been pushed to the sideline. Tanya had one moment here where it looked like her mission […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. – 11 [Furawau’s Flowers Smell of Malice]

Really ACCA? Only one episode left and you’re still in set-up stage, with the coup is lingering in the air, but never comes in real form. In fact, ACCA is a series about setting up. Its deliberate pacing can really test the viewer’s’ patience, and I totally understand if most of you have fallen out […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 22 [New School Term – Fighter]

We get to an end of 3-gatsu run but it feels more like a new beginning. Like what I feared last week the last episode doesn’t really have a conclusive ending, instead offers us the new semester of Rei and his childhood and his shogi, which in all fairness are the weaker parts of 3-gatsu. […]

Scum’s Wish – 10 [Fragile and Empty]

This week the main spotlight is heading back to our beloved Akane and two of her relationships preys, Mugi and Narumi. Although I really like the way the show addresses each of those tainted relationships until finally we’d get to the bare bone of Mugi and Hanabi’s core relationship, this episode for me is just […]

Little Witch Academia – 10[Bee Commotion]

I remember seeing a remark someone made that Little Witch Academia would lose half it’s fanbase when the realize that they don’t like Saturday morning cartoons all that much. While most likely said in jest, I find there is a certain degree of truth in that statement. I did enjoy this episode of Little Witch […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 23

The extended epilogue continues as Yakumo returns home after the theatre burns down. Some are signifying the burning down of the theatre as the death of Rakugo while others are speaking of it as a new beginning. After all Rakugo can be performed anywhere as long as someone is willing to listen. The members of […]

Seiren (Winter 2017) Review – 51/100

Let me say this out front, Seiren is NOT a good show, it’s a highly uneven one. Throughout its run, I can see some solid moments and fresh ideas that could potentially raise it above the bar, but ultimately, view it as a whole, Seiren is a show that isn’t worth recommending. At first, I’m […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100