Posted by psgels on 25 December 2009 with categories: Darker than Black - Ryuusei no Gemini

Yeah, this episode was rushed. There’s no denying that this episode lacked the emotional impact that it could have produced if it took things easy. However, I don’t think that the creators really intended this episode as entertainment, but rather as brainfood. A lot of weird stuff happened here, and you know what? I’m actually still interested. For a Bones Ending, it’s actually not that bad. Plus, that soundtrack was just bloody awesome.

First of all, Shion. I thought that he was really a huge bastard, however his goal was pretty gentle. It turns out that he set out to Tokyo in order to get to the gate, and create a completely copied world in which Suou wouldn’t feel out of place. He hid it well, but I think that he felt really guilty about what he did to her.

The mystery-element here is of course Yin, but we have to wait for the OVAs to get some concrete answers on that. What we do know is that her powers helped Shion complete his plan: she helped him create a copy of the entire earth, and she brought July and Suou there: two children who indeed shouldn’t be involved with these adult struggles. In this episode, it’s also made clear that copies can’t retain their memories for long, so that’s why Suou was experimented with with her necklace. So apparently, Yin also made sure that Suou and the others would be able to survive without this pendant.

Then, the motives of the woman of the CIA: she for some reason was very interested in Shion’s ability to create copies (Hmm, what if one of the twins that’s with her is a copy as well?), and her actions seem to revolve around that. We now know that she helped Shion create his copies, and my guess is that when Shion came with the plan of creating an entire new planet because he didn’t want to involve Suou anymore, I guess she found it an interesting idea and cooperated with him. Her ulterior motives still are a mystery, though.

Then there’s Yin: why the hell are there two of them? The OVA is really going to have to answer that question. Also, the prophecy: Izanami and Izanagi, who we assumed to be Shion and Yin, met, and yet nothing bad happened. Again some OVA material, or perhaps the white Yin was Izanami, and so the disaster could be averted.

Then: Suou and July behaving uncontractor-like. My guess is that it’s got something to do with Hei. He’s always been a big question-mark: he has his sister who lives in him, who may or may not have disappeared completely when his powers were taken away. My guess is that he has some sort of effect on children and teenagers, that allows them to retain their their personality.

In the end, before I started to watch this episode I really think that I’ve been a bit too much spoiled by endings that just spoon-feed their information to the viewer. This episode was a nice wake-up call and it showed the power that these “rushed endings” can have. This episode didn’t treat its audience like idiots, and instead it’s just one of those episodes where if you don’t think about it, you’re going to dislike it.

Overall, I may have said this a bit too often by now, but THIRD SEASON WHERE?! Ryuusei no Gemini really was a really well done side-story, but there’s still so much potential left here in this series. It’s another one in the increasingly long list of shows that desperately need continuations. And yes, I’ve heard about the rumours but I’m not going to get my hopes up until I see official confirmation.
Rating: ** (Excellent)

1. Snowolf says:

I certainly did not see all that coming. For me it felt like a WTF episode. There were still a lot of plot holes which hopefully will be explained in the OVAs but there was just TOO MUCH left open ended, which is why it lacked the ending it could have achieved. I’m still confused about a lot of things, especially hei/Yin and the whole second earth thing. I mean, how can you copy all of that? And how can you see it in the fake sky? And WHO WAS THAT SHORT HAIRED YIN PERSON IN THE COFFIN?!

2. ebisu says:

Rumours, since I saw the next part of Hajime no Ippo animated after an eight years pause they really just don’t matter.

3. Pat says:

I never understood what Darker Than Black was about. I only enjoy the kick-ass fight scenes.

4. uebo7 says:

You said that nothing happened when Shion and Yin met, but I think they created that “boy yin” in the coffin that woke up at the end. The one who killed Mr. Smith. It was said that they would “give birth” to something terrible.
    That sounds like it could be the “final boss” type thing, thus sudgesting a new season.

5. m says:

I don’t cut them any slack here. DtB2 was much more focused than DtB, and I rather liked that. DtB created a world and revealed the histories of its characters, but it never told a cohesive story or gave itself a rationale and its ending was just a tacked on mess. DtB2 had the pretense of correcting this and punted at the end, either because they wasted so much time on side characters, because they wanted to leave a path to milk the frachise, or because they simply couldn’t tie it together.

I’d also say that Suou is dead. Suou was never anything more than a collection of memories that she accumulated by living. The life she leads in Shion’s playland doesn’t look anything like her life. It may look like the life Shion wished that he had experienced, but what of it? If you have a twin and its life turns out well and you get hit by a bus, it’s not much consolation. It doesn’t do anything to fix the world afflicted with the scourge of the gates, so it’s only a cheery ending in a completely superficial interpretation. They wanted to conclude Suou’s story, but they did so in a manner that made Suou unnecessary to begin with. The only role she ultimately played was getting Hei sober. In every other way she was a liability that hampered Hei’s progress.

Even though I’ll probably end up doing it anyway, I don’t really see why I would buy the discs for this show, because while it was mostly entertaining it’s not a finished product. I saw this looming on the horizon and hoped for an announcement of another 13 episodes to no avail. Bones does excellent animation, but pretty much any time they have to go off the rails with writing they create a giant mess. After dumping coins into the PSN slot machine to get the anticlimactic Xam’d, on top of almost every other Bones work I’ve watched, it’s like buying early Neal Stephenson novels; only a lot more expensive.

6. Glass says:

Wow, what an ending… Most animes don’t have endings this good. You’re spot on about the “spoon-fed endings”. I just love when things are left unexplained and you have to think about it. This is a gem of a story and it has been treated well.

Before watching it I re-watched the previous eleven episodes, and this time I notice how big Misaki’s role is. She kinda explained the story to me, maybe because her own personal journey to find the truth (and Hei) happens in parallel to ours (the viewers).

The only thing I don’t understand is what she meant with the her “wish”. This made me think that maybe Hei was the one who wished for Suou to be saved, at the expense of losing Yin. But that’s just a theory…

Suou’s ending was charmingly peaceful and cute. Then it cuts to the next scene showing the fake planet. Yeah… That’s the kind of escapism that only anime provides.

7. kyuzo says:

“Also, the prophecy: Izanami and Izanagi, who we assumed to be Shion and Yin, met, and yet nothing bad happened.”

they met indeed, but didn’t the white yin told hei that he could still stop whatever was gonna happen by killing her?

i really wish they’d make a third season.

8. Axe says:

Wow! What a great ending, thou I wished they one more ep to make the DTB2 more complete. Still despite the its size they did a great job. The biggest mystery of this ep is probably the very last scene when the CIA just die like that. Hopefully the OVAs will shed more light to what happened overall in DTB2.

9. d4t2ill4 says:

hmm, somehow after watching this last episode I still feel its incomplete. Alot of questions still left unanwered. How did Yin become like that? why are there two Yin? yin & yang? why her code name suddenly changed to Izanami? did the project to create a new world started before Hei and Yin met? and yin was part of this project in the beginning? and her counter part is Yang (izanagi). When they meet, would this mean the creation of the new world is completed and Yin will bear a child (god of fire, maybe destruction to the existing world?).

10. nbamaniac says:

at last.. an anime that makes people think..

11. Unsupervised says:

I’m not as satisfied as the others with this ending, although I loved every episode of this season up until this one.

The problem I find is that while the emphasis of the entire season (series maybe, even) was on the development of Hei, Suou and Misaki.. but the last episode was entirely about prophecies, mysterious happenings and revelations about Shion.

12. Mimi says:

At first, after still having about 4 minutes left in the episode, I was like ‘for an ending, this kind of sucks..’, then i watched the rest and was like, OoO…awesome…lol

I don’t see this ending as incomplete because its not really an ending, it’s a beginning (to quote Misaki). Most likely the OVAs wil fill in some gaps but I doubt we will ever have the whole story but thats how DtB is and its exactly why its so great.

A lot of people were wondering why their were two Yins. I thought that the one in black rep’d Izanami and the other was the true Yin, which is why Hei smiled at her when she told him to kill her. He was happy that to see her and that her true self hadn’t disappeared entirely.

Waht I want to know is how this second world works? I don’t think everbody on Earth can see since that CIA lady was looking at from some sort of machine but…hmn. Well, if Shion (with Izanami’s) help really did create another world that would explain why he was all crusty lookin at the end but…hmn. I wonder if Suou’s story is over. Hei said they’d always be together Hei is…somewhere (hope he doesn’t come back in season 3 lookin all beat up again) and does Suou still have her powers?

There’s too many questions to put them all down here but oh well, at least we’ll have something to think about until season 3….

13. erra@tsukino says:

I’m sure 150% that Yin is not dead! And I’m sure that she’s already returned to her own body when we saw the bright purple light being absorbed by Yin’s body..
    Hei smile shows that it wasn’t meant to be that way when Yin ask him to kill him..
    She’s gotta be with Hei at the lasp ep..
    I’m sure of it!

14. Bored_Ming says:

I’m in the camp that says Yin is not “dead”. I think Hei killing Yin was a figurative statement rather that a literal one. Hei would be killing Yin’s evolved self. Yin has returned to her Doll state and is alive while Hei is carrying her away. Otherwise its really sad. Hei has sacrificed and lost a lot in this series. Letting him have a shred of happiness in the end would be nice. I’m sure the OVA’s will fill in a lot of missing info and help clear things up. Hopefully…..

15. otika says:

This was a good ending in that Suou was resolved (spoiler: she lives in her brother’s heaven). But nothing else resolved either on or off the screen. For starters, Suou realizes she loves Hei, but she’s now fine living a school girl’s life in Earth 2??? Were all the hard-won memories with Hei so fragile to be destroyed so easily even if explained? And then there are all the characters from the main line (Gemini feels like one more of the first season’s arcs). What does Hei want? Yin– but how does that go down? What does Yin want??? I’d really like to know since she’s an important character in Gemini (and she had such great treatment in the first season). Evil Shion wakes up and he wants… to be evil of course, how exactly? Misaki awakens as a part of Syndicate 2 but never gets her huggle time ;_; especially with the (suberb) taunting she endures and Hazuki’s awesome scene with Hei (so sad!) And then there’s the super informant and her goth-loli twins. Why did she help and what does she want? The twins? (Dress July up like Sakutaro?) So many questions that warrant a good telling. Yes, it leaves thinking space, but too few hints for off-screen resolution.

16. Ken says:

3 words, which you’ve already said:

THIRD SEASON WHERE?!!!

17. dong says:

i wish Yin isnt dead yet, and I believe so. A part of her still resides somewhere, afterall we saw another Yin, maybe Shion granted Yin a wish by using his ability, and if u we are to believe that Hei actually did “kill” Yin, there is another Yin. Even so he carried Yin towards a bright star, which might be the new earth. And from there the 2 earths might be linked, wtih Suou uneasy about something is missing in her memories, and so like any humans who strives to solve a riddle behind any mysteries.
    Thats how i would like to interpret the forthcoming events

I wonder what the CIA lady gains in return of helping Shion…so many unanswered questiong yet to be enlighten!

Cant say if I hate the ending, but the riddle is killing me, want an answer!

18. Jess says:

July played quite a role in this sequel, it was kinda surprising considering he played such a minor role in the first one.

So, I kinda grew attached to him xD, i hope we get to see more of July.

19. reverse says:

Third season ? apparently it won’t happen, they currently do not planing to do it.

read Okamura ( Dtb director ) interview here

20. Kazuo says:

I was thinking about some of the things that were said in the few episodes. Perhaps Hei himself was Izanami, and Yin was Izanagi. They said their meeting would mark the 9th month of Izanami’s pregnancy. It could be possible that Hei and Yin conceived a child and the one awakening in the coffin we see at the end is their offspring.

Another possible theory is that when Hei stabs Yin at the end of the episode, her essence is consumed by him which resurrects the BK-201 star. Perhaps the being we see at the end is Hei and Yin in one body; after all, it did look sort of like Hei with white hair and lavender eyes.

21. Chaos says:

Agh, I hate unanswered ending. But from what I can interpret, it paved the way for Second #3. The question whether there is another second depends on whether they have the money for it and the audience’s demand for another sequel. I personally prefer the mystery of DTB world to be answered and a happy ending so I can move on and watch another series already.

I heard they are coming out with 4 episodes OVA on the DVD gapping between S1 and S2 explaining what happened to Hei and Yin. I also saw an Amber look-alike as the enemy, so expect some old-fashion catfight. They need Amber back for S3 or maybe a new, better look-alike. And an ending already.

22. Dougouk says:

I would just like to clear up on few things~ and ask few questions that linger in my head~
    I have rewatched both series and tried to find answers to the unanswered questions, from me and other people…
    These’re all spoilers of course

First of all, Yin = Izanami, Shion = Izanagi (some people say it’s the other way, but w/e)
    Shion made a copy of the Earth (minus the Gates), except that his powers as a contractor weren’t strong enough, so the result was a much smaller Earth – reason why it looked like a moon. From hearing from a lot other people in other forums, it looks like there are no contractors or Dolls existing on that Earth. Maybe contractors and dolls need the Gates to exist?
    Shion’s wish seems to have Suou and her “nakama (patner)” – (he prob wouldn’t have included nakama if Suou hadn’t told him about it, remember when they were walking outside to see the “moon”?)live on the copied Earth. But about the copied Earth, he (for some reason) needed Izanami’s help.
    The boy that looks like Yin and comes out of the coffin would most likely be a copy of Izanami made by Shion. Whether it’s for a trade or just because to fill in the prophecy, I don’t really know the reason. I would like to guess that it was a trade though…
    I have no idea about Yin… My guess is that Izanami is dead, but Yin is alive? Yin and Izanami could be two different beings maybe? Need to wait for OVA for this…
    The copied Earth, (referred to as “heaven” in the prophecy) is run by the computer system that the Madame Oreille (forgot the name) and Dr. Pavlichenko made. It records the memories or all people on Earth on a day-to-day basis, and is somehow used to help the copied Earth live “normally” as possible I guess… My question is, a copied human will need the meteor fragment to have their memories last… but where is the source of their meteor fragment?

23. AKI says:

More like, third season when?

24. Topaz says:

Darker than Black is one of the best anime series of all time, but this second season was a major letdown. Although the ending was designed to make you think, it leaves to much up to guesswork. I hate how many of the main characters changed so much between the two series. The Hei from DtB would never have turned out as the abusive drunk in DtB 2. Misaki also didn’t have as major of a part and lost most of her brave resourcefulness she had in the first season. This should have been made for a whole different series instead of ruining the characters from DtB. It should be given more of a 65/100.

Oh your right, it was Deen. I got them mixed up. JC staff has Food Wars. Thats what I get for peeking at a list of anime during work.
That being said, no reason why you can't watch the OVAs before the TV series as well.
@SuperMario Not at all, the Maho Yome OVAs are technically anime original (made with plot and design contributions by the original author though). The majority of the 3 episodes are a prologue but it probably makes more sense to have read/watched a bit of the original series to have context of the world setting and present day characters who also appeared.
Rakugo was deen I thought? Not JC staff?
@Aidan, yeah its a dark day. Animation will go down because the new director cant call in a bunch of freelance friends and im not to excited about the directing.

Still, they made quality pieces like Rakugo. I can hope.
But I'm at least thankful to be getting a non 12s/pg action film.
I remember the church scene in the first one.
Still wish the action scenes didn't have that modern editting though.
I took too long to get Colin Firth back into the story too.
Though the idea of Colin Firth of all actors being in a film like this is amusing in itself.
I also saw the new kingsman recently, when it focuses on the action its almost up there with the first film, I liked Julianne Moore's villain better than Sam Jacksons and wanted her to have more screentime, the Elton John running joke kind of grew on me. It was overall funny without being hilarious. but theres a whole chunk in the middle of the film I'd have cut
Seen Kingsman 2. I think the critics are being too harsh with this one as the movies fine. Difinitely not as good as the first flim and far too long a running time but it has its fun points.
@Lenlo, Oh you must be jokin...oh god it's real. No Shingo Natsume either. Yep looks like the second season is going to be a major visual downgrade.
Hmm, so One Punch Man is getting a 2nd Season, but its being made by JC Staff instead of Madhouse.
A question: Do we need to watch Mahoutsukai no Yome OVAs before watching its first episode?
@Amagi: they better have a second season. The way it ends now I don't even have any motivation to write a full review. I'm not really optimistic over it having a second cour because if the producers were confident about its chance, they would've greenlit it already.
@SuperMario: Seems like the official radio confirmed PriPri might get a second season if the BD and/or game sales are good enough. - BD sales seem to be around 7k at the moment, but it looks like many only ordered them now, after the last episode, so it might be more.
@Aidan. Oh I did. Thank you for reminding me. I will write the review.
@Travlos, Just in case you missed it, there is a reply to you earlier in the chatbox.
Kakeguiri also ended. In the end the anime original ending was not really an ending, but just a fan pleasing excursion. The integrity of the manga story remains. It was a good adaption, and I liked it as it brought to life the parts of the manga that make it interesting to me. Also a great Opening and Ending. Good show.
And to sum it up. I think this was a great series. All its episodes were good.
I actually am ok with the PP ending. The 12 episode series is self contained. Sure there are many future potential stories to pursue, but I felt there was enough closure to make the series a good series. This is because the next step of the narrative is really so long term as being more LOGH material than PP (the story of the ascension of Princesss to the throne, and then the story of her reforms)
Alright, I found the read more tag. Now my tendency to write more than I should will be contained.
@Mario, Got to play catch-up but I am guessing it was very much a non ending?
Gosh, is that how Princess Principal end?
@KAiser: I really have a mixed feeling watching Assayas's films. I always find his works toe touch into pretentious area. Still have much more films from him I want to watch though so that opinion might change
@Kaiser: As Tears go By surprised me a little considering how straightforward it is. It's Wong's most by the book HK romance but it was one of his most commercial success. After this, the studio allowed him to do things he like and that was when he gone banana with his styles
not a fan. Can't even tell the difference between turtle and tortoise
Anonymous1420257
i like turtles
@Mario: I hadn't expected some of the dry/dark humour in sils Maria, I liked the themes/aging angst and its comments on hollywood in parts even if it needed to go a bit deeper. Stewart is a revelation in it. That X-men parody scene was fucking funny lol
@Mario: I actually kind of liked As tears go by. Mostly because of my experiences with hong-kong action flicks, much as I like John Woos films, the melodrama he tries to sell between the action never worked for me and left me just waiting around for the action to come round again. Wong was able to put genuine emotion into the hong-kong action film with this one.
@Aidan: Somehow. The problem is rather Haruki anyway and it's canonically part of her character. Kei becomes more likeable IMO and the events get much more complicated and/or serious plus there are a bunch of characters getting added to the protag team which makes the whole thing more dynamic. The best comes when some other character joins around the middle though.
Personally, I can digest the emotionless dialogue in the first place since I watch the series with the mindset that the main characters are innately "broken" in some ways.
@Aidan Hmm...one might consider the emotion level increases in main characters' dialogues for Sakurada Reset as baby steps depending on how dramatic one expects a character to act in other animes. (The emotions increase do exist though) There are certainly emotional scenes and characters do develop in ways where one can't just say they're 100% robots.
@Travlos, If you so wish then you can write a review for Bahamut virgin soul. Just let me know if you are up for it. If so I recommend writing it up on google docs, then when you have it done I can give your account contributer status and you can paste it into a post for us to look over and publish on the site. For screenshots our standard size is H240 X W138.
Did they ever fix that emotionless dialgoue issue they had going on?
You are not alone. The second half of Sakurada Reset made me so glad that I stuck with the series.
Oh and I totally forogt Reset ended now too. Not sure if I am the only fan of that but the whole second half was one of the better things I've seen this year.
Okay now thinking three others came into my mind, but that's still not much. A lot of series started interesting and turned out mediocre or cheap after a while.
Considering that I love Made in Abyss, PrinPrin, Fate/Apo (so far) and 18if too guess this season was better than I've expected. 2016 was kind of a let down imo, animewise. Off the top of my head I only remember Rakugo, Fune wo Amu and Bokudake I think.
I didn't expect to like Virgin Soul as much as I do. Especially the last ~5 episodes got me. The weird thing is that I was disappointed by S1 actually.
@Travlos: I don't mind if you do a guess review on Virgin Soul, but let's me check with other admins first.

On Virgin Soul, I'm not sure if I like the bew development. It suddenly does a 180 degree turn on King Charriot, which I don't feel rewarding.
Kakegurui will have an anime original ending. It might be better than the ongoing manga. We shall see. An enjoyable foray.

Virgin Soul is going for a nice explosive ending. If no one writes a review, I would be willing to write one.
*kind of
While its very much in the shadow of the first and the protaganist started out kind annoying, I kind of got caught up in the spectacle and sentimentality of gunbuster 2.
Urasawa is preparing a new manga
yes the episode where Julian watched the documentary was fun. The Caligula like character comes from one of the lesser episodes of the series, when Kircheis beats up some rebelling third rate noble in the Empire.
Goddammit, fail, it just changed the colour of the login name...
I declare in the red truth that the next anime I shall watch is Diebuster.
From what little I saw, I remember a Caligula like character in one episode.
I remember there's an episode where Julian just goes on Space Netflix and just watches a documentary. I actually liked that lol
yup, a LOGH that run like the Altair anime would be bad. It needs to show the sweep of history
@Anon, I actually liked that aspect. It made the history of the world feel real.
It's compressible, as there are many episodes of buildup, but that's where so many of the interesting details and depth of planning become evident. Some of those episodes read like a history textbook though, so we'll see how the new adaptation handles them,
*pleasantly
Tytania was ok.
On the Amakusa Shiro reference in the fate review, I've seen a film about him from the 50s , theres also an old josei manga where the protagonist ends up becoming essentially regarded as him.
Hi Kaiser. Supposedly this is a re-imagining of the original story. Thus independent of the OVAs (old serieis). What exactly re-imagining means is something I and you do not know. We shall see. But it does mean that you do not need to watch the old series to enjoy this one. The OVA was definetly more expansive than the novels. So my guess is they will stick to the novels.
There's another anime, called Tytania based on his novels but I haven't seen that series.
As in condensable in the way nothing much is lost? I assume there are fillers in the original?
I'm indifferent to the aesthetics of the new version. What I'm hoping for is that it will be accessible to newcomers and that I'll be able to jump on to the old series where the new one leaves off. I've seen very little of the original and it was a long time ago, is there any way the story is condensable?
The fact that they stayed away from the disgusting new manga is great. I am not too keen on the CGI ships, but they also did not rankle. It looks like it will honor the spirit of the old series, and I cannot ask for more. I am a massive LOGH fan. And the new video out gives me hope of revisiting one of the greatest sci-fi/historical settings out there. I am happy.
I hope they are using the old anime as a base and not the new Manga adaption. As that Manga adaption is seriously lacking.
@Anon, I like that they blinged up the space battles which is good because those things could get tiresome. But I really hate the design of Yang Wenli. They made him look so much younger and bishi. I don't think i could take this guy seriously if he started one of Wenli's signature hypothesis.
Thoughts on that new LOGH PV? My expectations were low, so I'm presently surprised. Obviously they made everybody pretty boys, and Mamoro Miyano is voicing Reinhard I believe. But art and animation actually looks pretty decent overall. It's a PV, and LOGH's best quality is it's story and characters, so we'll have to see if they remain faithful or not. But it's nice to see it get a visual overhaul.
By the way this site has the first chapters but check the other versions to find them.
@Mario, Indeed. It's also a pity that over half the couples in the manga were not featured. We only got a small taste of Patricia.
Or maybe I'll try to read the manga. The last time I checked it online, the site doesn't have its first few chapters
@Aidan: man, Tsurezure Children sure is sweet. Really sad to see it ends
So that's the end of Tsurezure Children.
....I'm gonna need a second season. Now.
....NOW GODDAMNIT! NOW!
As I said I understand the criticisms to RE:Creator, but ultimately I enjoyed most of the show. It could had been better, and it is a missed chance. But I have seen worse.
I gave up halfway through, there weren't even enough action scenes and those that were didn't justify waiting around for.
Could have at least delivered on the action but that was rendered pointless due to the majority of the cast turning good and Altair being a complete cheat character.
It would have been really fun to see characters discuss their stories with their creators or indulge in what our world has to offer but they really glossed over that part.
It really should have gone deeper into the whole meta aspect introducing anime characters to the real world. Like they did with Mamika's powers being ridiculously destructive when outside a kid friendly setting.
@Puran, I at least like the message of the final episode. But as for the show itself it was just missed potential on a lot of levels. I wanted Anime Genre battle royale and instead got a secondhand Shirobako with a crap shounen anime attached.
I have been forgiving of Anno as I've gotten older.
I also just re-watched gunbuster, I'd previously dismissed the ova after a few episodes when I was a teenager, I'd found it too slow, didn't have that issue with the 90 minute version I just finished. I've never see the sequels.
Ill have to finish Creators... at some point
I've been dipping back into the Lupin franchise, Gold of babylon was particularly screwball, kind of ridiculous comedy caper/adventure thing you just have to run with....turns out it was directed by a live action filmaker I especially like who made bizzare noir films in the 60s.
Puran
So that explains why Meteora had so much air time in Re:Creators. It's her story....

I hated the ending and I disliked the anime overall.
@Mario: It was a genuine surprise to see that Assayas decided to make a film framed around hentai =P
@Mario: I loved how incoherent demonlover was.
@Mario: The criticisms I'll give wind river, is a slight inconsistent performance from Renner and that very awkwardly inserted flashback scene.
@Kaiser: on Wind River, I agree it's a well-executed case of the week drama, although there are some plot pregressions that I don't get (how did they find out about the man's corspe again?). About Demonlover, man, the film gives me a chill down my spine. Heartless. And a bit misogynist.
@Kaiser: as much as I loved Wong (yeah I too prefer him over Malick), sometimes I do think Western cinema give him too much praise that sadly overshadow other Asian directors.
@Mario: Wong is important to me as a hong-kong filmaker, he offers something entirely different from the whole Woo/Lam Hong komg movies.
@Mario: On a more positive note Maggie Cheung did mention that she felt her early work with Wong was when she first truly became a proper actress.
@Mario: ....I had no idea he had such a sad background.
*investigation drama
@Kaiser: that film also marked/ signified a rather sad period of Hongkong showbiz. Leslie Cheung badically lived the live of the protagonist and commited suicide in 1997. His girlfriend on screen, during the filming, was kidnaped, raped and taken topless picture. The damnest thing is that everyone knowed the culprit but did nothing, and in the press it was just deemed as "kipnapped and assaulted"
@Mario: Wind river was a big surprise for me, just goes to show that with the right execution an ordinary police drama movie can be elevated higher.
@Mario: Thats the interesting thing, tracking a directors career.
Just binge watched the new dominion tank police ovas , admittedly these are kind of reptitive and extremely silly but its hard to hate on something so shamelessly fun that made me feel like a child again.
@Kaiser: you said it there. DoBW is rather raw and unpolished but that's one of the reason why I am drawn to it more compare to his other works.
In all honesty, it would be nice to finally see a continuation after fusion as all games after that have just been adding chapters in-between.
Finally I wonder, if Metroid Prime 4 will definitely branch out of the main Metroid's continuity. It's curious how an interquel subseries is still going to add things in between the first and the second entries in the main franchise.
AidanAK47 - I think is nice we can see both takes. Especially since neither one despite a few qualms are still very solid entries for this franchise. I just hope Metroid moves forward, as IMO this is the only game that really needed a facelift do to the heavy limitations of the gameboy. And I hope the secret gallery at the end is teasing how the producer plans to move the plot forward.
I thought it might be like that but it's good to know they are at least on a close level. I didn't really want Samus Returns to replace AM2R as the "Definitive" version of Metroid 2. Mostly because a lot of love was put into AM2R andit came at a point when it felt Nintendo didn't give a crap about Metroid.
Like Zero Mission there's something added to Samus Returns but I'll just leave it at that.
I think both have strong points. Samus Returns have better boss battles, gameplay mechanics and more intense action pieces. AM2R IMO has more atmosphere, takes advantage of elements Nintendo don't even try like the Federation subplot, and the ending portion narratively has more heart in AM2R, while in Samus Returns it feels mostly like "the final level".
I also did got lost a couple of times in Samus Returns and aside from the big water section in AM2R, the latter is more linear game.
I think the controls in Samus Returns bring more to the table though. The 360 aiming makes for better ways to shoot enemies and some of the bosses take advantage of that. If it weren't for the 3DS giving hand cramps because you're holding L and R at several points it'll be completely the most ideal way to play.
AidanAK47 - AM2R is very good, I think it has the advantage that because it uses sprites IMO backgrounds and enemies are more vibrant and easier to appreciate. The Federation soldiers are better executed in AM2R and that secret section with the ship is very eery.
@Vonter, How does it stack up to AM2R? I bought it and am still waiting on it to be delivered but I have the feeling that AM2R would be the better game when comparing.
I took me 12 hours to 100% and I've heard the best ending is beating it in less than 4 hours. I think unlike Zero Mission item percentage don't matter, it's mainly to unlock an art gallery.
My main criticism is this being a 3DS game. Small enemies can be hard to see or appreciate. And I think the 3DS wasn't made for heavy action packed games like this or Smash Bros. I got the rubber from the circle pad come off in two occasions. Also unless there was something big in the background, several areas felt lacking in detail. Still Samus and the bosses look good.
In terms of difficulty, the game has the enemies packing more damage than in other 2D Metroids. Is difficult in the sense than you can't tank damage as in other iterations, you have to be aware of enemy behavior and bosses mainly get easier do to familiarizing with their patterns, since I did die a lot each time I faced a new boss. And got used to kill them faster as I went along.
Ok, so I beat Samus Returns. It's quite good. Unlike Fusion that had dialogue at midst the gameplay. Samus Returns only has a prologue of exposition and any cutscenes mainly accentuate the reactions of Samus confronting a new enemy. The level design is dense, despite having isolated areas like in Fusion and the original Samus Returns, each area is very mazelike.
@Mario: =< Awww I kind of like demonlover actually despite all its flaws, it had great sound design and had this cold, clinical, un-nerving mood to it.
@Mario: Days of being wild does feel a bit un-realized/un-polished/rough compared to his other work definitely but its probably the rawest I've seen from him and that has its appeal.
@Mario: Haven't seen farewell my concubine come to think of it. Regarding the scifi element I felt I embraced it more further into the film when it started to intermingle more.
While I am more forgiving toward Malick's recent films than most, that decline in quality means I have to pick Wong.
by the way in RE:Creators we probably will be getting a future series focusing on the hunt for Magane :p Meteora probably playing the role of detective. I also bet her novel will be wordy and heavy in exposition :p
i.e his end game might had been a cross-species revolution against him anyway. We will see
In Bahamut Chris proves to not be totally evil, but he is totally crazy. That said I am seeing one of my hunches getting supported, the hunch was that his cruelty towards daemons was with the purpose of bringing them down enough that they would be willing to work with humans as euals (As they are in Jean's army) and thus via that create a more unified world. I
RE: Creators has come to its end. I know the problems everyone has with it, and while it failed to raise to the level of exceptional show, I loved it. As I said, it had been years since a show kept me so excited episode after episode. They blew it at some point, but ultimately for me this is an en-joyful show, and one I would happily binge watch in the future again.
@Kaiser: question for you though, between these two directors, which one do you prefer: Wong Kar-Wai or Terrance Malick?
@Kaiser: if you enjoyed both 2046 and In the Mood for Love, by all mean check out Days of Being Wild. The trio forms a loose trilogy and Days of Being Wild was the first film that Wong began his unique unconventional style. It's one of my personal favorite of Wong and it's a chance for you to watch the late Leslie Cheung acted (you might watch him already in Farewell My Concubine)
@Kaiser: 2046 is indeed a passionate film, and one of his best looking film. He tried something different in 2046 too, experimented with scifi (one of the best part in the film for me)
@Kaiser: it's stritcly Wong Kar Wai's romance we're talking about, since I don't find the rest of Chinese take on romance that interesting. Romance or melodrama is one of his main theme throughout his career
@Mario: It was slightly overly long however.
I've also seen chungking express, in the mood for love and fallen angels. I think this Chinese take on romance is really clicking with me.
@Mario: I also thought it was a very passionette film and I love how Kar-wong-wai uses the music in it. I also think its one of his best looking films.
@Mario: I had a look at that Chinese film 2046, very effectively melancholic take on fleeting relationships while also successfully being quite sensual while staying classy and without ever showing too much. Tony Leung and Maggie Cheung are two beautiful people =P
for those who still want to catch up with 18if, episode 11 has a huge recap, while wrapping up the show with a new overarching plot. Hopefully they don't pull another Matrix here
SuperWooper
It's shounen-y for sure. The competitions have been my least favorite parts of the show so far. If you're still watching, you might appreciate it more once the Tenpei Cup is over.
Damn Ballroom looks so good. But I really can't enjoy it despite that I want to. It has too many of these typical shounen moments and plot points I can't stand.
Omae wa mou shindeiru
Mononoke is actually what made me find Ayakashi. Also a good show.
Regarding Ayakashi, I only watched the Mononoke segment
"It was a long, long trip, and we're coming finally to the end of the journey. Thank you, Manoyama and Chupacabra. And thank you, 5 EURO" - Sandal-san.
Ayakashi was great for me Kaiser. I enjoyed my time with it
Vonter212
@AidanAK47 - The hard aspect has been commented in several reviews with bosses being able to easily kill you. (Although in my experience it might be just getting a pattern). In terms of length most 2D games can be beaten under 3 hours. This one seems to clock at at least 6 to 15 if you want to collect everything. Then again, we'll see in subsequent playthroughs.
`@Vonter. It's out now but I don't remember seeing anyone claim it's the longest hardest entry 2D wise.
Going to watch new dominion tank police next and read violence action and Oddman 11.
It took me years to get round to it, but I finally watched Ayakashi and as expected like most anthologies, again its mixed, the first is a solid ghost story that improves after a weak start, but that third one with the cat spirit was great, really liked how experimental that looked.
Soo a new Metroid comes out this week. It is said, it's the longest, hardest entry in regards to the 2D iterations. Still not as great as Super, and depending on your fanaticism it might or not be as good as Zero Mission.
But they didn't pull that scene off too well. It's just... unmemorable. In fact the whole show is very unremarkable. Now only 1 episode left I might as well finish it but I won't give it a full review
Koi to Uso has been disappointing so far. Episode 10 featured the sequence that i was looking forward the most in the manga: the former classmate tells the one sided crush of the main girl from her POV. For a romance that contrived and manipulated like this one, hearing this from the third person's perspective prove to be more powerful
@HelghastKillzone - Good luck with that. I almost had my car's engine damaged since it has been raining heavily where I live. Had to ask for help the next day to pull it out of mud. Still not as bad as the other three cars that did get stuck in the water.
HelghastKillzone
Dealing with work and the total loss of my car really sucks at the moment so I'm quite tied up for this week.
I do agree to a point, but to be frank all the episodes of Princess Principal to date have been so solid I have a hard time deciding. Episode 5 though was still the best from a holistic point (action, direction, music etc) was the one introducing Chise
Agree. Dorothy has the biggest heart out of all the spy girls. Also "help" that her episodes are all melodramatic.
This episode of PrinPrin showed again that Dorothy is the best character by far. Not just herself but her episodes as well are better written than the rest if you ask me.
It just hit me. The characters in Princess Principal may be very well working for IngSoc :p
@Kaiser, in the seven chapters it's only really two of them that contain dark shocking content. Chapter three being the biggest one in that regard.
@Aidan: I read a comment where someone said subahibi shocked them more than saya no uta. While I haven't played it yet, I have seen some of a letsplay...it lleft me thinking....how many hours until this actually gets good/truly unhinged .
After Reading SubaHibi, Made in Abyss's dark turn didn't shock me too much. Maybe I just got desensitised. I will have a review of SubaHibi hopefully up in a week though to clarify my feelings on it after just finishing it, It was interesting but disappointing.

The Reflection – 10 [Eleanor]

This week The Reflection finally gives us some quality time with our main villain, as Wraiths plan hits its final stages. Lets jump in. Reflection opens on Elen arriving at the mansion we saw at the end of last week, meeting evil!Stan Lee. Deciding that her decision to give herself up for the sake of […]

Kakegurui – 12[Gambling Woman]

It’s been awhile since I seen an anime original ending and honestly I was rather dreading it when I started this episode. Anime original endings don’t have a good track record as of course attempting to tack on an abrupt conclusion to an ongoing story is not going to turn out swimmingly. Even if I […]

Made in Abyss – 12[The True Nature of the Curse]

Today’s topic is the curse of the abyss alongside much needed revenge against the creature that put Riko in a bad spot. We get a rare glimpse of the topside village where one of the orphan kids we saw previously is deathly sick on his birthday. This caught me off guard as I believe I […]

Katsugeki Touken Ranbu – 13 [Katsugeki]

Welcome to the final week of Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu, where the plot is rushed and the art is at its best. Lets jump in. Ranbu opens this week with the title card, skipping the OP. Looks like they want all the time they can get. Picking up where they left off, Ranbu has Horikawa go and […]

Princess Principal – 12 [Case 24 Fall of the Wall]

Is that seriously how they end Princess Principal? Nothing is resolved at all except Ange breaks down the wall around her heart to welcome her team to the Casablanca’s paradise. Everything screams “second season” and with the sales aren’t that impressive from what I gathered, will they ever get one? It comes hard for me […]

18if – 12 [The Witch Wars]

Let me just say, I’m all in favor for 18if having a proper closure, but I’m wholly disappointed with what happening right now. This episode is just all over the place. For instance, I’m just as glad as the next person to see all the Witches gathering back in real life to help Haruto, but […]

Classroom of the Elite – 11 [What People Commonly call Fate is Mostly their Own Stupidity]

So suddenly, without mentioned at any point before, Horikita can suddenly kicks ass? Or that Horikita has been sick ALL THIS TIME? Or that Horikita still can kick some ass while being sick all this time? Since when the Class-D boys shrink into only Ayanokouji, Hirata and the 3 idiots? On that note, where is […]

Ballroom e Youkoso – 11 [Evaluation]

And so the Tenpei Cup comes to a close at last. It took five episodes to get from the first round to the awards ceremony, and not all parts of the competition were created equal, but I’m happy that my girl Mako managed to claim the Ballroom Queen award. After she received the trophy, there […]

Kakegurui – 11[The woman who bets her life]

So…what am i supposed to say here? Yumeko wins, the treasurer loses and now the show looks to be teasing a matchup between the Student council President and Yumeko. I would say it’s a good thing this shows end looms near as my interest in it has just about petered out. I love seeing smug […]

Sakura Quest (Summer 2017) Review – 79/100

Conceived as a third installment in a loose P.A Works trilogy about young adult girls in working environment, Sakura Quest both knows its target audience well, and has some big shoes to fill. After all, many have considered Shirobako an install classic for good reasons. As it turns out, Sakura Quest is more on the […]

Castlevania Season 1 Review – 70/100

Upon hearing that Castlevania would be getting an animated TV series my first reaction was that of unpleasant surprise. Part of the reason was because of the video games infamous history with adapting their stories to other mediums but my main reason was that being familiar with the Castlevania games, I knew the story was […]

Tsuki ga Kirei (Spring 2017) Review – 88/100

It’s hard for me not to go overboard on Tsuki ga Kirei: out of all the show I’ve followed this season, I resonated the most to this one; but even when I’m judging this show objectively, Tsuki ga Kirei is one of the most perfect one, in a way that it achieved exactly what it […]

Seikaisuru Kado Review 51/100

Seikaisuru Kado was a title which caught my attention for a number of reasons. For one it’s visuals showed not a single teenager in sight and a cast mainly consisting of working adults. Another is that it deals with a premise not often tackled in anime, Philosophical Science Fiction. The story features an alien being […]

ID-0 (Spring 2017) Review – 81/100

Here comes one of the most under-appreciated anime of this Spring season. ID-0 has many hassles that keeps viewers away from watching it: Netflix exclusive, full CG animation and a plot that just plain weird and a bit incomprehensive at first view. I originally took it as nothing more than fun spooky little-seen show until […]

Grimoire of Zero (Spring 2017) Review – 77/100

I remember, back in our first impression of this series, Aidan remarked that Grimoire of Zero isn’t your typical LN-adaptations, but he didn’t know what to make of it. To be honest, after watching an entire cour, I’m still unsure what to make of it myself. This show has some serious flaws, yet despite all […]

Uchoten Kazoku Review – 94/100

(Note: Since psgels didn’t give his final review to the first season, this review is for the entirety of Eccentric Family. If I had to grade the second season alone, it’s 90/100). Doesn’t matter how you look at it, the Eccentric Family is a unique show, in a way it feels and tastes like no […]

Little Witch Academia TV Review – 80/100

The Little Witch Academia series has been something that’s a long time coming. Ever since Studio Trigger made the original Anime OVA back in 2013 I have been hotly anticipating the time when it would be fleshed out into it’s own anime series. I love both the original OVA and the enchanted Parade so this […]

Window Horses (2016) Movie Review – 87/100