Posted by psgels on 25 December 2009 with categories: Darker than Black - Ryuusei no Gemini

Yeah, this episode was rushed. There’s no denying that this episode lacked the emotional impact that it could have produced if it took things easy. However, I don’t think that the creators really intended this episode as entertainment, but rather as brainfood. A lot of weird stuff happened here, and you know what? I’m actually still interested. For a Bones Ending, it’s actually not that bad. Plus, that soundtrack was just bloody awesome.

First of all, Shion. I thought that he was really a huge bastard, however his goal was pretty gentle. It turns out that he set out to Tokyo in order to get to the gate, and create a completely copied world in which Suou wouldn’t feel out of place. He hid it well, but I think that he felt really guilty about what he did to her.

The mystery-element here is of course Yin, but we have to wait for the OVAs to get some concrete answers on that. What we do know is that her powers helped Shion complete his plan: she helped him create a copy of the entire earth, and she brought July and Suou there: two children who indeed shouldn’t be involved with these adult struggles. In this episode, it’s also made clear that copies can’t retain their memories for long, so that’s why Suou was experimented with with her necklace. So apparently, Yin also made sure that Suou and the others would be able to survive without this pendant.

Then, the motives of the woman of the CIA: she for some reason was very interested in Shion’s ability to create copies (Hmm, what if one of the twins that’s with her is a copy as well?), and her actions seem to revolve around that. We now know that she helped Shion create his copies, and my guess is that when Shion came with the plan of creating an entire new planet because he didn’t want to involve Suou anymore, I guess she found it an interesting idea and cooperated with him. Her ulterior motives still are a mystery, though.

Then there’s Yin: why the hell are there two of them? The OVA is really going to have to answer that question. Also, the prophecy: Izanami and Izanagi, who we assumed to be Shion and Yin, met, and yet nothing bad happened. Again some OVA material, or perhaps the white Yin was Izanami, and so the disaster could be averted.

Then: Suou and July behaving uncontractor-like. My guess is that it’s got something to do with Hei. He’s always been a big question-mark: he has his sister who lives in him, who may or may not have disappeared completely when his powers were taken away. My guess is that he has some sort of effect on children and teenagers, that allows them to retain their their personality.

In the end, before I started to watch this episode I really think that I’ve been a bit too much spoiled by endings that just spoon-feed their information to the viewer. This episode was a nice wake-up call and it showed the power that these “rushed endings” can have. This episode didn’t treat its audience like idiots, and instead it’s just one of those episodes where if you don’t think about it, you’re going to dislike it.

Overall, I may have said this a bit too often by now, but THIRD SEASON WHERE?! Ryuusei no Gemini really was a really well done side-story, but there’s still so much potential left here in this series. It’s another one in the increasingly long list of shows that desperately need continuations. And yes, I’ve heard about the rumours but I’m not going to get my hopes up until I see official confirmation.
Rating: ** (Excellent)

1. Snowolf says:

I certainly did not see all that coming. For me it felt like a WTF episode. There were still a lot of plot holes which hopefully will be explained in the OVAs but there was just TOO MUCH left open ended, which is why it lacked the ending it could have achieved. I’m still confused about a lot of things, especially hei/Yin and the whole second earth thing. I mean, how can you copy all of that? And how can you see it in the fake sky? And WHO WAS THAT SHORT HAIRED YIN PERSON IN THE COFFIN?!

2. ebisu says:

Rumours, since I saw the next part of Hajime no Ippo animated after an eight years pause they really just don’t matter.

3. Pat says:

I never understood what Darker Than Black was about. I only enjoy the kick-ass fight scenes.

4. uebo7 says:

You said that nothing happened when Shion and Yin met, but I think they created that “boy yin” in the coffin that woke up at the end. The one who killed Mr. Smith. It was said that they would “give birth” to something terrible.
    That sounds like it could be the “final boss” type thing, thus sudgesting a new season.

5. m says:

I don’t cut them any slack here. DtB2 was much more focused than DtB, and I rather liked that. DtB created a world and revealed the histories of its characters, but it never told a cohesive story or gave itself a rationale and its ending was just a tacked on mess. DtB2 had the pretense of correcting this and punted at the end, either because they wasted so much time on side characters, because they wanted to leave a path to milk the frachise, or because they simply couldn’t tie it together.

I’d also say that Suou is dead. Suou was never anything more than a collection of memories that she accumulated by living. The life she leads in Shion’s playland doesn’t look anything like her life. It may look like the life Shion wished that he had experienced, but what of it? If you have a twin and its life turns out well and you get hit by a bus, it’s not much consolation. It doesn’t do anything to fix the world afflicted with the scourge of the gates, so it’s only a cheery ending in a completely superficial interpretation. They wanted to conclude Suou’s story, but they did so in a manner that made Suou unnecessary to begin with. The only role she ultimately played was getting Hei sober. In every other way she was a liability that hampered Hei’s progress.

Even though I’ll probably end up doing it anyway, I don’t really see why I would buy the discs for this show, because while it was mostly entertaining it’s not a finished product. I saw this looming on the horizon and hoped for an announcement of another 13 episodes to no avail. Bones does excellent animation, but pretty much any time they have to go off the rails with writing they create a giant mess. After dumping coins into the PSN slot machine to get the anticlimactic Xam’d, on top of almost every other Bones work I’ve watched, it’s like buying early Neal Stephenson novels; only a lot more expensive.

6. Glass says:

Wow, what an ending… Most animes don’t have endings this good. You’re spot on about the “spoon-fed endings”. I just love when things are left unexplained and you have to think about it. This is a gem of a story and it has been treated well.

Before watching it I re-watched the previous eleven episodes, and this time I notice how big Misaki’s role is. She kinda explained the story to me, maybe because her own personal journey to find the truth (and Hei) happens in parallel to ours (the viewers).

The only thing I don’t understand is what she meant with the her “wish”. This made me think that maybe Hei was the one who wished for Suou to be saved, at the expense of losing Yin. But that’s just a theory…

Suou’s ending was charmingly peaceful and cute. Then it cuts to the next scene showing the fake planet. Yeah… That’s the kind of escapism that only anime provides.

7. kyuzo says:

“Also, the prophecy: Izanami and Izanagi, who we assumed to be Shion and Yin, met, and yet nothing bad happened.”

they met indeed, but didn’t the white yin told hei that he could still stop whatever was gonna happen by killing her?

i really wish they’d make a third season.

8. Axe says:

Wow! What a great ending, thou I wished they one more ep to make the DTB2 more complete. Still despite the its size they did a great job. The biggest mystery of this ep is probably the very last scene when the CIA just die like that. Hopefully the OVAs will shed more light to what happened overall in DTB2.

9. d4t2ill4 says:

hmm, somehow after watching this last episode I still feel its incomplete. Alot of questions still left unanwered. How did Yin become like that? why are there two Yin? yin & yang? why her code name suddenly changed to Izanami? did the project to create a new world started before Hei and Yin met? and yin was part of this project in the beginning? and her counter part is Yang (izanagi). When they meet, would this mean the creation of the new world is completed and Yin will bear a child (god of fire, maybe destruction to the existing world?).

10. nbamaniac says:

at last.. an anime that makes people think..

11. Unsupervised says:

I’m not as satisfied as the others with this ending, although I loved every episode of this season up until this one.

The problem I find is that while the emphasis of the entire season (series maybe, even) was on the development of Hei, Suou and Misaki.. but the last episode was entirely about prophecies, mysterious happenings and revelations about Shion.

12. Mimi says:

At first, after still having about 4 minutes left in the episode, I was like ‘for an ending, this kind of sucks..’, then i watched the rest and was like, OoO…awesome…lol

I don’t see this ending as incomplete because its not really an ending, it’s a beginning (to quote Misaki). Most likely the OVAs wil fill in some gaps but I doubt we will ever have the whole story but thats how DtB is and its exactly why its so great.

A lot of people were wondering why their were two Yins. I thought that the one in black rep’d Izanami and the other was the true Yin, which is why Hei smiled at her when she told him to kill her. He was happy that to see her and that her true self hadn’t disappeared entirely.

Waht I want to know is how this second world works? I don’t think everbody on Earth can see since that CIA lady was looking at from some sort of machine but…hmn. Well, if Shion (with Izanami’s) help really did create another world that would explain why he was all crusty lookin at the end but…hmn. I wonder if Suou’s story is over. Hei said they’d always be together Hei is…somewhere (hope he doesn’t come back in season 3 lookin all beat up again) and does Suou still have her powers?

There’s too many questions to put them all down here but oh well, at least we’ll have something to think about until season 3….

13. erra@tsukino says:

I’m sure 150% that Yin is not dead! And I’m sure that she’s already returned to her own body when we saw the bright purple light being absorbed by Yin’s body..
    Hei smile shows that it wasn’t meant to be that way when Yin ask him to kill him..
    She’s gotta be with Hei at the lasp ep..
    I’m sure of it!

14. Bored_Ming says:

I’m in the camp that says Yin is not “dead”. I think Hei killing Yin was a figurative statement rather that a literal one. Hei would be killing Yin’s evolved self. Yin has returned to her Doll state and is alive while Hei is carrying her away. Otherwise its really sad. Hei has sacrificed and lost a lot in this series. Letting him have a shred of happiness in the end would be nice. I’m sure the OVA’s will fill in a lot of missing info and help clear things up. Hopefully…..

15. otika says:

This was a good ending in that Suou was resolved (spoiler: she lives in her brother’s heaven). But nothing else resolved either on or off the screen. For starters, Suou realizes she loves Hei, but she’s now fine living a school girl’s life in Earth 2??? Were all the hard-won memories with Hei so fragile to be destroyed so easily even if explained? And then there are all the characters from the main line (Gemini feels like one more of the first season’s arcs). What does Hei want? Yin– but how does that go down? What does Yin want??? I’d really like to know since she’s an important character in Gemini (and she had such great treatment in the first season). Evil Shion wakes up and he wants… to be evil of course, how exactly? Misaki awakens as a part of Syndicate 2 but never gets her huggle time ;_; especially with the (suberb) taunting she endures and Hazuki’s awesome scene with Hei (so sad!) And then there’s the super informant and her goth-loli twins. Why did she help and what does she want? The twins? (Dress July up like Sakutaro?) So many questions that warrant a good telling. Yes, it leaves thinking space, but too few hints for off-screen resolution.

16. Ken says:

3 words, which you’ve already said:

THIRD SEASON WHERE?!!!

17. dong says:

i wish Yin isnt dead yet, and I believe so. A part of her still resides somewhere, afterall we saw another Yin, maybe Shion granted Yin a wish by using his ability, and if u we are to believe that Hei actually did “kill” Yin, there is another Yin. Even so he carried Yin towards a bright star, which might be the new earth. And from there the 2 earths might be linked, wtih Suou uneasy about something is missing in her memories, and so like any humans who strives to solve a riddle behind any mysteries.
    Thats how i would like to interpret the forthcoming events

I wonder what the CIA lady gains in return of helping Shion…so many unanswered questiong yet to be enlighten!

Cant say if I hate the ending, but the riddle is killing me, want an answer!

18. Jess says:

July played quite a role in this sequel, it was kinda surprising considering he played such a minor role in the first one.

So, I kinda grew attached to him xD, i hope we get to see more of July.

19. reverse says:

Third season ? apparently it won’t happen, they currently do not planing to do it.

read Okamura ( Dtb director ) interview here

20. Kazuo says:

I was thinking about some of the things that were said in the few episodes. Perhaps Hei himself was Izanami, and Yin was Izanagi. They said their meeting would mark the 9th month of Izanami’s pregnancy. It could be possible that Hei and Yin conceived a child and the one awakening in the coffin we see at the end is their offspring.

Another possible theory is that when Hei stabs Yin at the end of the episode, her essence is consumed by him which resurrects the BK-201 star. Perhaps the being we see at the end is Hei and Yin in one body; after all, it did look sort of like Hei with white hair and lavender eyes.

21. Chaos says:

Agh, I hate unanswered ending. But from what I can interpret, it paved the way for Second #3. The question whether there is another second depends on whether they have the money for it and the audience’s demand for another sequel. I personally prefer the mystery of DTB world to be answered and a happy ending so I can move on and watch another series already.

I heard they are coming out with 4 episodes OVA on the DVD gapping between S1 and S2 explaining what happened to Hei and Yin. I also saw an Amber look-alike as the enemy, so expect some old-fashion catfight. They need Amber back for S3 or maybe a new, better look-alike. And an ending already.

22. Dougouk says:

I would just like to clear up on few things~ and ask few questions that linger in my head~
    I have rewatched both series and tried to find answers to the unanswered questions, from me and other people…
    These’re all spoilers of course

First of all, Yin = Izanami, Shion = Izanagi (some people say it’s the other way, but w/e)
    Shion made a copy of the Earth (minus the Gates), except that his powers as a contractor weren’t strong enough, so the result was a much smaller Earth – reason why it looked like a moon. From hearing from a lot other people in other forums, it looks like there are no contractors or Dolls existing on that Earth. Maybe contractors and dolls need the Gates to exist?
    Shion’s wish seems to have Suou and her “nakama (patner)” – (he prob wouldn’t have included nakama if Suou hadn’t told him about it, remember when they were walking outside to see the “moon”?)live on the copied Earth. But about the copied Earth, he (for some reason) needed Izanami’s help.
    The boy that looks like Yin and comes out of the coffin would most likely be a copy of Izanami made by Shion. Whether it’s for a trade or just because to fill in the prophecy, I don’t really know the reason. I would like to guess that it was a trade though…
    I have no idea about Yin… My guess is that Izanami is dead, but Yin is alive? Yin and Izanami could be two different beings maybe? Need to wait for OVA for this…
    The copied Earth, (referred to as “heaven” in the prophecy) is run by the computer system that the Madame Oreille (forgot the name) and Dr. Pavlichenko made. It records the memories or all people on Earth on a day-to-day basis, and is somehow used to help the copied Earth live “normally” as possible I guess… My question is, a copied human will need the meteor fragment to have their memories last… but where is the source of their meteor fragment?

23. AKI says:

More like, third season when?

24. Topaz says:

Darker than Black is one of the best anime series of all time, but this second season was a major letdown. Although the ending was designed to make you think, it leaves to much up to guesswork. I hate how many of the main characters changed so much between the two series. The Hei from DtB would never have turned out as the abusive drunk in DtB 2. Misaki also didn’t have as major of a part and lost most of her brave resourcefulness she had in the first season. This should have been made for a whole different series instead of ruining the characters from DtB. It should be given more of a 65/100.

I also watched it. I thought it was a great war film. Very intense and unrelenting, but still at points the images reminded me of Thin Red Line. My only quip was the end. The film did a great job in getting me to feel the hopelessness the soldiers felt. So great that the attempt at making a "happy" end was forced and fell flat. Beyond that I liked it.
I already lost interest when I saw Inception which I didn't really like. My favorite Nolan movie will always be Memento.
Eh, saw Dunkirk, I think at this point I'm done with giving Nolan any more chances, this like his other works, I can appreciate them to some extent but come away honestly not giving a damn.
and this week's Sakura Quest is damn great as well... This backstory of Chitose and Kadota rocks
Just watching the 2nd episode of Gamers, It was actually pretty good. I can't believe they fleshing out that annoying hot guy into such a relatable guy.
I recall the extent of my interest in Linkin park in my early teens was strictly the breaking the habit video and that was it.
The frontman of Linkin Park commited suicide by hanging himself... sad news. Never been his fan but I feel sad nonetheless
Actually forgot with all the impressions and whatnot but I do believe we said we would review the Castlevania Netflix series. Now that everything has calmed down I will see if I can do a write up next week.
I was busy trying to discern whether the story had any point besides "Life is shit"
Again, while I enjoyed punpun, the excessive internal narration, when marathoned, I had to take a break.
Come to think of it, I don't even have a phone that does that, haven't bought a new one since 2004.
Ah, you see I could never force myself to browse/type/use the internet on a phone, too used to using a desktop exclusively for that.
Oh bloody hell. Stupid phone autocorrect. Yeah I meant Punpun.
@Aidan: Read Freesia.
umi no onnanoko is probably the exact thing ninjarealist would be interested in.
*oyasumi punpun
I found it alot more accessible than nijigahara holograph. deded-demon-destruction while enjoyable, is beneath him. Solanin is probably his easiest work.
I assume you man oyasui punpun. Its been about five years since I read in, the final couple of volumes stay in my mind the most, all the stuff with him, the girl and his uncle also, I love Asano Inios art and the surreal elements but I got lost/bored somewhere in the middle and most of the other side characters and the cult thing I didn't really care about.
Finished reading Goodnight Pumping. Really not sure on what to think of it. The story kept me reading but it just felt really empty.
There are 2 Nyaa's now. This one is considered the 'real' one: https://nyaa.si
Looks like anirena is down for me. Although it looks like nyaa went back up as this: https://nyaa.pantsu.cat/
Aidan: Fate/Apocrypha, Made in Abyss, Kakegurui
Mario: Princess Principal, 18if, Youkoso
Lenlo: Touken Ranbu, The Reflection
Wooper: Ballroom, Shoukoku no Altair
Helghast: Re:Creators
Note: I'm deciding to take Classroom of the Elite as my third show to cover. So, for this season we are covering 11 shows.
Just to end, it kind of shows than even if a story is predictable on where it is going. Characters can make up for that, if they're funny, interesting, and perhaps not agreeing all the time and having different agendas and points of view despite all sharing the same boat.
Yet as a game Tales hasn't felt deep since Symphonia, (at least from the ones I've played). I'm wondering if it'll leave me wanting check the anime of Zestiria, since apparently Berseria is a prequel to that game. And many say the anime is better than the game. (I can see why).
I also like the reused Tales beats from Phantasia and Berseria. It those have moments like when Lloyd was exiled and Cless had his village attacked. It has clear antagonists unlike Vesperia, and trying harder than the cartoony villains of Graces.
I've been playing Tales of Berseria, and it seems to be the anti Tales of Graces. In which I'm caring about the story and characters, but the gameplay is a drag. This is the first time I've been autoplaying an JRPG. But unlike Gravity Rush 2, I'm not dropping it because I'm liking the interactions of these characters even if it gets, campy, overdramatic, or edgy.
I mean I watch anime and films subtitled but sometimes my reading speed can be slow if theres a lot of dialogue.
Eh, I do that sometimes, mostly to check for message updates or on occasion to read reviews of what I am watching or to download more/check downloads.
For instance, I watched Okja yesterday and I had to take 15', 20' minute break in between for snack, surfing webs and playing mobile games...
I watched Fanny and Alexander... don't really remember which version I watched thou. I think it's a TV version since it divides into 4 separate parts
@Kaiser: it just that... my attention span has shortened greatly and I just can't stay focus on movies over an hour mark. In cinema, it's alright since you can't move anywhere but now it's abig task to finish a 2 hour and a half movie for me
And is good enough to keep up the quality for that long.
I'll say this, for every medium, to me the length of something isn't so much the issue, if you have a writer good enough to keep something going for ages then the length shouldn't be an issue.
@Mario: If something goes over three hours I treat it as a miniseries and watch one hour or two a day.
@Mario: lol if you thought thats long, have you seen the extended versions of scenes from a marriage and fanny & alexander by Bergman? I can't wait to get my hands on the tv versions I hear they're completely different.
Okja is pretty entertaining with pointed social commentary. I don't really feel Tilda Swinton's double roles add up much but everything else is great. Bong has never disappointed me
@Kaiser: good luck with Satantango then. I guess now if I watch an 8-hour long film it would take me a whole week to finish it :/
Made in abyss and vatican keep staring at me. Although I'm not chancing them yet or anything else until I hear a bit more.
My once massive film backlog is nearly cleared. I can try watching stuff this season hopefully.
Same boat here. For the first time in a long time I spent almost half the day catching up on all of my manga.
@Mario: I'll have two weeks leave, I will finally watch Satantango, all eight hours of that film.
I did a double take when I saw this. One of these things is not like the other.... http://gematsu.com/2017/07/blazblue-cross-tag-battle-announced
Well, finally have a bit of precious free time to watch something else and I have too much things to watch. Castlevania, the final Kizumonogatari movie, live-action Okja and some books planned to read... I guess I'll go with Okja today
Ninja
Looking forward to that Dies review
Yaaay! Time to enjoy your blogging time
And now we are up to date. Just need to finally get that Dies Irae Review posted.
Then again I'll watch almost every horror film I can, don't even mind the awful acting most have.
Pet cemetary was a guilty pleasure of mine when I was a teenager.
I don't know how I'd feel if I rewatched salems lot, although a positive is that it did have James Mason in it and it was done in that 70s style of slow burn horror that I love.
The IT film has aged horribly and thats one case where I would advocate a remake.
Stand by me was a perftly watchable coming of age film and it surprised me, seeing a non-horror King story.
Okay theres one way to settle this =P Lovecraft > all of them ;) I have actually enjoyed some King adaptations even though I know the Shining took liberties , I also enjoyed Carrie and Apt Pupil.
@Kaiser, please. Early King > Richard Matheson > Modern King. Kings early works were good.
@Aidan, its true that Monty was the mind behind the fights. Sad, but I think the other directors are starting to come into their own instead of trying to copy Monty.
But we all know Richard Matheson > King.
He did some collabs with Stephen King I believe.
Like the dead films he's trying to be thematic, although this one is clumsily put together, I kind of like how it hybridizes the 50s with 70s style exploitation, it has its moments.
hmmm the only non Dead trilogy film I've seen by Romero is the Crazies, feels like he's still finding his voice with it.
@Lenlo, Part of the reason is that they started using better animation software. But despite that there was a downgrade in fight chorgraphy when Monty died. Though the story I find is getting better.
@Kinseryu, I think it's ridiculous to everyone but there are those that choose to ignore it.
@Anon, That's a bit harsh. It is true that his later works never truly panned out but he did pretty much popularise the zombie apoc. Even if Day of the Triffids did it before him.
Every season RWBY gets just a little bit prettier. Rooster Teeth really does have some of the better 3D animation skills out there.
goerge romero was a hack trying desperate to stay relevant.
Kinseryu
Tenshi3P... I thought it was just me that this show was just ridiculous by putting three ten years old girl that knows how to play electrical instruments. They are insulting the people who plays these. But good thing I found this site with your first impression. I laughed and I feel better. Lol.
@Kaiser: he passed away? damn. He was the Father of Zombie genre. So like him or hate him, he was influential to say the least. RIP.
Kaiser_Eoghan
...holy shit George A Romero died? Now I have to watch the rest of his films.
Kaiser_Eoghan
Rei Hiroe is really dicking around with black lagoon lately, he's still releasing wasted chapters, just like re:creators, the most recent chapter of black lagoon was a slog.
Kaiser_Eoghan
Maybe the conversation and lives of others could sort of count as espionage stories to an extent.
Kaiser_Eoghan
If you're interested in spy fiction, Spy who came in from the cold, most wanted man, Smiley's people, deadly affair and tinker tailor soldier spy are your best bet.
@Travlos (regarding yoir earlier comment): yeah, it hit me as well that most of regular readers have been here even longer than myself. So thanks for sticking around mates
@Travlos: playing catch up with both Re:Creators and Virgin Soul yesterday. Agreed that last week's Re:Creators was weak because it focused on the Creators (they're not good) but last episode was on par again. Virgin Soul, I loved that episode that the girls go bacl to Nina's hometown
@anon1272074: I still haven't had the time to watch Pripri yet (probably in few more hours), but you bet I'm looking forward to it
Anonymous1272074
Then again, James Bond does count as a spy. I meant not a realistic one.
Anonymous1272074
Princess Principal 2 was pretty good. Still more James Bond via little girls than spies, but this episode was more about intrigue and stuff than action.
Started catching up with Kakegurui. The OP is the sort of mind games I remember from Mob Psycho. Dunno what that means for the show, but I like it.
Quite happy with this week's RE:Creators. Blitz is cool, Aliceteria looked so scary. It washed out the taste of last week's episode.

Bahamut is going interesting places.
BTW. Speaking of spies from Princess Principal. I watch TURN. That is a good spy show.
I mean you see the use of those heavy revolvers as clubs in westerns. Mythbusters did a experiment, and being hit by one could kill you just fine. But in anime, I do not remember seeing it often
Homura used Gun-kata in the fight against Mami in Rebellion. Can't think of anyone who exclusively uses it though. After all Gun-Kata is more or less a flashy art that has no real benefit.
amazing!
Is Gun Kata the fighting style of Noel Vermillion from BlazBlue? I suppose I'm mainly thinking about how guns are handled in fighting games. Where the shots are mainly concussive. I suppose those are mainly energy blasts.
Ranbu took a step in the right direction I feel. Used the morals of whether or not to change history and it focused in on one of its characters.
Final Fantasy has had some gun swords. Cant think of any with guns in melee though. There are some with gun-kata like cowboy bebop though
Just for curiosity, have anyone watched an anime, movie or game that uses a gun as a melee weapon. Or one in which the gun is mainly concussive but still has impact?
Spike
18if ep2 was a bit wacky... main character seems to be off his rocker.
Alright. Time to finally play catch up with those series I need to blog.
But at the same time acknowledging love for creativity is more important in the end than making a profit.
I think I was using death of artist/deceased artist as a term to suggest peoples careers in the area are too often killed before they get a chance.
Moreso also to save the guy the embarrassment of misinterpreting it so awkwardly.
@Puran: Nothing too extreme , moreso that the piece itself feels inappropriate/tainted to have up/leave around/submit. Ended up taking it down out of taste.
Puran
Did that change how you feel about your writing? I had a somewhat similar experience, where something I was writing was similar to a real situation some I knew was going through. After I found out I stopped writing it. Not sure why.
I wasn't all that close to either of them much but yeah, weird coincidence.
He thought I already knew the guy was dead.
*earlier
Its all okay now...but fuck that was was awkward.
....Oh jesus christ...oh christ this is a creepy creepy coincidence...I showed an acquaintance a bit of writing I did early, it mentions death of an artist, thing is I was writing something based on a conversation with my editor friend, turns out said acquaintance's artist friend died (who he knows that I've spoken to in the past) and he thought the piece I showed him was about the dead guy.
I believe I began visiting this site in 2008.
As for humanity has declined, I found it bizzare and darkly funny for a while but felt it ran dry in its second half and I kind of fell out of following it.
You know it hit me. I think I have been following this blog for a decade now, perhaps more. Cool that it is still around.
I do agree it had alot more western influence than eastern though
Eh nothing wrong with that I think. Astro boy was very much the same after all
@Lenlo, I personally saw it as more of a Saturday morning cartoon than an anime.
@Masky, Heroman was a decent giant robot show. It looked and sounded good, though the acting was off in places. Alot of people panned it thinking it was the West invading the east when really it was trying to bridge that gap
SuperWooper
@Kaiser: Hey, Humanity Has Declined was great.
need not be

not

need to be
Masky it was not an issue of writing about politics. It is an issue of writing just about your preferred politics. A good political work need to be politicized if you understand what I mean.
...what the hell tsuki ga kirei was directed by Seiji Kishi? He was actually capable of making a good anime?
Anyhoo, lol. Haven't mentioned Jitsu wa watashi wa in long time, but I really find it hilarious that its only actually evil character's competence is just "they aren't a idiot" xD As in, they don't even seem that diabolically intelligent, they just don't get wrapped into hijinxs.
@KTravlos: Well, depends on your views. Some people think artists should have their work speak about politics and world instead of just good stories. I'm kinda neutral about that since while stories about nature of world can be great, most of them don't really teach anyone anything new or change anyone
Huh, another anime work with Stan Lee being involved? I wonder how well Heroman did
Yup. A mangaka that could had been another Urasaw imho is Kawaguchi Kaiji. I really like his art, and it evokes some of the elements that I love in Urasawa. He also has interesting stories. But I fear he has let his political and ideological prejudices get the better of him. Which is a pity. Definitely a missed chance.
Did Urasawa do that billy bat manga?
As for Urasawa, I mentioned here before but I read 20th Century Boys few months ago and the manga was a straight out masterpiece. Fillers, yes but they are still in service for the main plot. Although out of his work my favorite's still Monster
Alright. Only one more. Though the two superhero shows won't air for another week. Seeing as one is reflectiona nd the other is that marvel kids show maybe we shouldn't bother covering them in the impressions.
@Amagi: agree with you on the Friday's anime (well, for me it's technically Saturday) but Kakegurui, Fate and Princess Principal are worth following as well
@Kaiser: if you're still deciding if you should check out the manga or novel then I say novel since it's the novel that was influential, not the manga
So based on that fantasy itch I had thought about Altair, but hesitated because it was labeled as a shounen action show.
There was a time where I was hugely into the shoujo fantasy/historical thing. I've actually been thinking of out of curiousity looking into some old obscure ovas such as Books of Y and Crystania.
Man as much as I love the Friday's anime this time, and whenever Altair airs, but the rest of the working-week is weak as hell. At least now I will finally have more time for games, VNs and creative stuff I guess.
It was kind of nice to hear an announcer coming in before Genocidal organ started, mentioning that for a few months their cinema will be playing anime and Japanese films.
Surprised to see an anime reference Kafka and Katyn.
I have not yet checked out empire of corpses.
Now, I'll have to consider the manga or the novel as I heard some of the philosophical stuff got chopped. This was however a more successful and accessible film for me than Harmony.
Manglobe was always a bit mediocre when it came to animation and voice actor direction, but this wasn’t a bad film for them to go out on.
It lives up to its name, it gets quite visceral with the action that’s there, if you don’t like seeing child soldiers getting slaughtered there’s your warning, but I appreciated getting this kind of violence I want to see more of again in anime/manga.
I just got back from my local arthouse cinema, from watching a special screening of that anime film, Genocidal organ, this is the sort of thing where you do wish that it had more time to explore its thematics but they at least offer a good enough flavouring to a solid man on a mission scifi thriller.
Just to state I don't hate Urasawa's work, rather I find it sort of difficult , I could say the same about Asano Inio regarding oyasumi punpun.
Urasawa is supposed to be working on Master Keaton Remastered. But it seems to be on hiatus. A pity because I loved Master Keaton (I adore Monster)-in general I love this person's work.
20thCB would be my favorite Urasawa I think but I can't imagine it as an adaption. Kinda want to know what Urasawa will do next. He already announced that he's working on a new series months ago.
I am really looking forward to the Pluto anime. I wanted this one the most, there is a serious lack of good sci-fi anime out there.
...billy bat is....scattered and directionaless fro what I read but shows interesting historical scenarios.
Pluto was reasonably short, so this wasn't much of a problem.
And while from the film adaptations I could tell that the original manga for 20th century boys likely had a very good storyline , I couldn't get through the manga.
Despite watching monster a few times I feel I've missed or forgotten things about it, largely because although I understand its importance and did like it, its length and pace always made me watch it on and off with gaps in between.
I was surprised by how attached I got to Grimmer.
Monster is a good example of slow burn tension done right and has one of the most memorable villains out there. Though it isn't without its fillers.
You want a mystery, I heartily recommend Monster.
And I also sometimes write impressions/reviews in my spare time, its hard.
Although the first season probably did have just that bit better atmosphere.
I think I may have been one of the few who enjoyed true detective season 2 as much as the first however.
I'm not sure anymore if I'm entirely happy or not with having less time now , yes I can see the frustration, but at the same time it stops me from filling in dead moments with terrible shows/films when there ends up being literally nothing else to do.
Then again I can only enjoy a select crime/mystery things .
It would take a very good writer to make case of the week episodes work, a mystery wrapped up in one or two episodes can just stop it from unfolding naturally or organically.
As I've probably mentioned a few times, I pretty much go by what I'm told to watch and not watch , mostly to play it safe.
@Aidan: Same here. If the supernatural feeling is part of a series it's better if it's rather just hinted at to retain the aura of mystery but that the actual cases are just involving "normal" crimes that get resolved by detective work. Something like True Detective or Name of the Rose.
@Amagi, that's good. I love a good mystery and hate it when it's ruined with magical wizard space ghosts.
@Aidan: If people who know the original were telling the truth explanations will be rational and the series is rather an actual mystery instead of anything supernatural.
@Mario, I haven't even watched the second episode of Apocrypha yet. Also behind on Re:Creators. Wonder if I will leave it. So far planning to get two more impressions out by end of day. Got one wrote up and just need to work on the other. Next up Tenshi no 3P...this is going to be painful.
@Amagi, truly appreciate it. If Vatican can slow down it could really be something else. But I wonder how much of a supernatural element is going to be present in the series.
And now after I've watched all new shows save Gamers, I'll blog Princess Principal and 18if this season. I will watch second episode of Vatican and Centaur to decide the third choice, if I'm unconvinced by both I'll blog Tsurezure Children
@Amagi: Thanks, it's our pleasures. I like checking out new shows myself buy gosh it's time consuming. Have been behind on both Re:Creators, Virgin Soul because of this.
Speaking of it, I also really hope that the pacing of the Vatican's series will slow down. Maybe they wanted to shove in as much as possible for episode 1 to attract more viewers. Love this dark and sacral atmosphere, it would be some wasted potential if they'd kill it by speeding through the story. Music is good as well.
Don't blame yourself, your're doing this for free and there are a ton of new series. I also think that most people rather read impressions to know how others felt about the episodes and not in order to decide which series they should check out. You two are usually better at pointing out flaws than me, which is why I quite enjoy reading the reviews.

Shoukoku no Altair – 03 [The Council of Generals]

With this episode, Altair’s first arc comes to a close. Mahmut Pasha, teenage prodigy and commander of eagles, is now simply Tughril Mahmut, a disgraced former general set to leave Turkiye on a journey of discovery. Though its main character didn’t fare so well this week, I thought the show wrapped everything up nicely in […]

Classroom of the Elite – 02 [It Takes a Great Deal and Skill to Conceal One’s Talent and Skill.]

Something about Youkoso, after the end of both first two episodes, that left me there hanging. Something that I feel “off”, but I can’t quite put my fingers on. I guess a big part of it was caused by the pacing, which it takes way too long to get into the intrigued part. I mean, […]

Re:Creators – 15 [Waves Approach the End of Wandering]

This week’s episode didn’t have any action once again but there is a lot more movement on the main plot as each faction solidify their alliances and plan out their new moves. As speculated last week, the latest creation has a snowball’s chance in hell in be competitive against every other creation as her only […]

Princess Principal – 02 [Case 1 Dancy Conspiracy]

Man, plot twists. Through many twists and turns within the episode, we have a big switcheroo Sixth Sense-size at the end that completely change the context of what come before. I mean, Princess Principal walks on a really thin wire here. On the one hand, deceive and betrayal are the backbone of spies, guessing the […]

Made in Abyss – 2[Resurrection Festival]

Made in abyss continues strong as the animation remains beautiful, the music perfect and the story progressing with revelations at a good rate. I particularly lie that they provided necessary details about the different ranks of miners based on whistle colour  through a puppet show. It’s a good way of providing the audience information without […]

Kakegurui- 2/3[A Boring Woman/Slit-Eyed Woman]

Two episodes of high stakes gambles and I do feel that I am going to run out of things to say about this one fast. I suppose I will start with the elephant in the room and address what could be Kakegurui’s most detrimental feature. The fact that it’s set in a school setting and […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 2/3[The Appearance of the Saints/First Step of Fate]

So where do I begin? I am brain dead at the moment so forgive me if this gets a bit too much like rambling but I have to catch up with all this so here’s my best shot at being somewhat competent. WIth these two episodes we have the setup of this grail war established […]

Katsugeki Touken Ranbu – 3 [Master’s Orders]

The farther into the season we go, the clearer it becomes that Ranbu is a video-game adaptation, as this week Ranbu takes two steps forward and one step back. We start this week off immediately where we left off, with the Dutch steamship mid explosion, and wow was it a beautiful explosion. If nothing else […]

Ballroom e Youkoso – 02 [Kiyoharu Hyodo]

After a strong start to its two cour season, Ballroom e Youkoso has managed to waltz its way past all potential stumbling blocks and deliver an even better second episode. There was a lot to love here, including a carefully introduced rival and love triangle, great voicework from Shinba Tsuchiya, and some promising animation during […]

Tsuki ga Kirei (Spring 2017) Review – 88/100

It’s hard for me not to go overboard on Tsuki ga Kirei: out of all the show I’ve followed this season, I resonated the most to this one; but even when I’m judging this show objectively, Tsuki ga Kirei is one of the most perfect one, in a way that it achieved exactly what it […]

Seikaisuru Kado Review 51/100

Seikaisuru Kado was a title which caught my attention for a number of reasons. For one it’s visuals showed not a single teenager in sight and a cast mainly consisting of working adults. Another is that it deals with a premise not often tackled in anime, Philosophical Science Fiction. The story features an alien being […]

ID-0 (Spring 2017) Review – 81/100

Here comes one of the most under-appreciated anime of this Spring season. ID-0 has many hassles that keeps viewers away from watching it: Netflix exclusive, full CG animation and a plot that just plain weird and a bit incomprehensive at first view. I originally took it as nothing more than fun spooky little-seen show until […]

Grimoire of Zero (Spring 2017) Review – 77/100

I remember, back in our first impression of this series, Aidan remarked that Grimoire of Zero isn’t your typical LN-adaptations, but he didn’t know what to make of it. To be honest, after watching an entire cour, I’m still unsure what to make of it myself. This show has some serious flaws, yet despite all […]

Uchoten Kazoku Review – 94/100

(Note: Since psgels didn’t give his final review to the first season, this review is for the entirety of Eccentric Family. If I had to grade the second season alone, it’s 90/100). Doesn’t matter how you look at it, the Eccentric Family is a unique show, in a way it feels and tastes like no […]

Little Witch Academia TV Review – 80/100

The Little Witch Academia series has been something that’s a long time coming. Ever since Studio Trigger made the original Anime OVA back in 2013 I have been hotly anticipating the time when it would be fleshed out into it’s own anime series. I love both the original OVA and the enchanted Parade so this […]

Window Horses (2016) Movie Review – 87/100