Posted by psgels on 25 December 2009 with categories: Darker than Black - Ryuusei no Gemini

Yeah, this episode was rushed. There’s no denying that this episode lacked the emotional impact that it could have produced if it took things easy. However, I don’t think that the creators really intended this episode as entertainment, but rather as brainfood. A lot of weird stuff happened here, and you know what? I’m actually still interested. For a Bones Ending, it’s actually not that bad. Plus, that soundtrack was just bloody awesome.

First of all, Shion. I thought that he was really a huge bastard, however his goal was pretty gentle. It turns out that he set out to Tokyo in order to get to the gate, and create a completely copied world in which Suou wouldn’t feel out of place. He hid it well, but I think that he felt really guilty about what he did to her.

The mystery-element here is of course Yin, but we have to wait for the OVAs to get some concrete answers on that. What we do know is that her powers helped Shion complete his plan: she helped him create a copy of the entire earth, and she brought July and Suou there: two children who indeed shouldn’t be involved with these adult struggles. In this episode, it’s also made clear that copies can’t retain their memories for long, so that’s why Suou was experimented with with her necklace. So apparently, Yin also made sure that Suou and the others would be able to survive without this pendant.

Then, the motives of the woman of the CIA: she for some reason was very interested in Shion’s ability to create copies (Hmm, what if one of the twins that’s with her is a copy as well?), and her actions seem to revolve around that. We now know that she helped Shion create his copies, and my guess is that when Shion came with the plan of creating an entire new planet because he didn’t want to involve Suou anymore, I guess she found it an interesting idea and cooperated with him. Her ulterior motives still are a mystery, though.

Then there’s Yin: why the hell are there two of them? The OVA is really going to have to answer that question. Also, the prophecy: Izanami and Izanagi, who we assumed to be Shion and Yin, met, and yet nothing bad happened. Again some OVA material, or perhaps the white Yin was Izanami, and so the disaster could be averted.

Then: Suou and July behaving uncontractor-like. My guess is that it’s got something to do with Hei. He’s always been a big question-mark: he has his sister who lives in him, who may or may not have disappeared completely when his powers were taken away. My guess is that he has some sort of effect on children and teenagers, that allows them to retain their their personality.

In the end, before I started to watch this episode I really think that I’ve been a bit too much spoiled by endings that just spoon-feed their information to the viewer. This episode was a nice wake-up call and it showed the power that these “rushed endings” can have. This episode didn’t treat its audience like idiots, and instead it’s just one of those episodes where if you don’t think about it, you’re going to dislike it.

Overall, I may have said this a bit too often by now, but THIRD SEASON WHERE?! Ryuusei no Gemini really was a really well done side-story, but there’s still so much potential left here in this series. It’s another one in the increasingly long list of shows that desperately need continuations. And yes, I’ve heard about the rumours but I’m not going to get my hopes up until I see official confirmation.
Rating: ** (Excellent)

1. Snowolf says:

I certainly did not see all that coming. For me it felt like a WTF episode. There were still a lot of plot holes which hopefully will be explained in the OVAs but there was just TOO MUCH left open ended, which is why it lacked the ending it could have achieved. I’m still confused about a lot of things, especially hei/Yin and the whole second earth thing. I mean, how can you copy all of that? And how can you see it in the fake sky? And WHO WAS THAT SHORT HAIRED YIN PERSON IN THE COFFIN?!

2. ebisu says:

Rumours, since I saw the next part of Hajime no Ippo animated after an eight years pause they really just don’t matter.

3. Pat says:

I never understood what Darker Than Black was about. I only enjoy the kick-ass fight scenes.

4. uebo7 says:

You said that nothing happened when Shion and Yin met, but I think they created that “boy yin” in the coffin that woke up at the end. The one who killed Mr. Smith. It was said that they would “give birth” to something terrible.
    That sounds like it could be the “final boss” type thing, thus sudgesting a new season.

5. m says:

I don’t cut them any slack here. DtB2 was much more focused than DtB, and I rather liked that. DtB created a world and revealed the histories of its characters, but it never told a cohesive story or gave itself a rationale and its ending was just a tacked on mess. DtB2 had the pretense of correcting this and punted at the end, either because they wasted so much time on side characters, because they wanted to leave a path to milk the frachise, or because they simply couldn’t tie it together.

I’d also say that Suou is dead. Suou was never anything more than a collection of memories that she accumulated by living. The life she leads in Shion’s playland doesn’t look anything like her life. It may look like the life Shion wished that he had experienced, but what of it? If you have a twin and its life turns out well and you get hit by a bus, it’s not much consolation. It doesn’t do anything to fix the world afflicted with the scourge of the gates, so it’s only a cheery ending in a completely superficial interpretation. They wanted to conclude Suou’s story, but they did so in a manner that made Suou unnecessary to begin with. The only role she ultimately played was getting Hei sober. In every other way she was a liability that hampered Hei’s progress.

Even though I’ll probably end up doing it anyway, I don’t really see why I would buy the discs for this show, because while it was mostly entertaining it’s not a finished product. I saw this looming on the horizon and hoped for an announcement of another 13 episodes to no avail. Bones does excellent animation, but pretty much any time they have to go off the rails with writing they create a giant mess. After dumping coins into the PSN slot machine to get the anticlimactic Xam’d, on top of almost every other Bones work I’ve watched, it’s like buying early Neal Stephenson novels; only a lot more expensive.

6. Glass says:

Wow, what an ending… Most animes don’t have endings this good. You’re spot on about the “spoon-fed endings”. I just love when things are left unexplained and you have to think about it. This is a gem of a story and it has been treated well.

Before watching it I re-watched the previous eleven episodes, and this time I notice how big Misaki’s role is. She kinda explained the story to me, maybe because her own personal journey to find the truth (and Hei) happens in parallel to ours (the viewers).

The only thing I don’t understand is what she meant with the her “wish”. This made me think that maybe Hei was the one who wished for Suou to be saved, at the expense of losing Yin. But that’s just a theory…

Suou’s ending was charmingly peaceful and cute. Then it cuts to the next scene showing the fake planet. Yeah… That’s the kind of escapism that only anime provides.

7. kyuzo says:

“Also, the prophecy: Izanami and Izanagi, who we assumed to be Shion and Yin, met, and yet nothing bad happened.”

they met indeed, but didn’t the white yin told hei that he could still stop whatever was gonna happen by killing her?

i really wish they’d make a third season.

8. Axe says:

Wow! What a great ending, thou I wished they one more ep to make the DTB2 more complete. Still despite the its size they did a great job. The biggest mystery of this ep is probably the very last scene when the CIA just die like that. Hopefully the OVAs will shed more light to what happened overall in DTB2.

9. d4t2ill4 says:

hmm, somehow after watching this last episode I still feel its incomplete. Alot of questions still left unanwered. How did Yin become like that? why are there two Yin? yin & yang? why her code name suddenly changed to Izanami? did the project to create a new world started before Hei and Yin met? and yin was part of this project in the beginning? and her counter part is Yang (izanagi). When they meet, would this mean the creation of the new world is completed and Yin will bear a child (god of fire, maybe destruction to the existing world?).

10. nbamaniac says:

at last.. an anime that makes people think..

11. Unsupervised says:

I’m not as satisfied as the others with this ending, although I loved every episode of this season up until this one.

The problem I find is that while the emphasis of the entire season (series maybe, even) was on the development of Hei, Suou and Misaki.. but the last episode was entirely about prophecies, mysterious happenings and revelations about Shion.

12. Mimi says:

At first, after still having about 4 minutes left in the episode, I was like ‘for an ending, this kind of sucks..’, then i watched the rest and was like, OoO…awesome…lol

I don’t see this ending as incomplete because its not really an ending, it’s a beginning (to quote Misaki). Most likely the OVAs wil fill in some gaps but I doubt we will ever have the whole story but thats how DtB is and its exactly why its so great.

A lot of people were wondering why their were two Yins. I thought that the one in black rep’d Izanami and the other was the true Yin, which is why Hei smiled at her when she told him to kill her. He was happy that to see her and that her true self hadn’t disappeared entirely.

Waht I want to know is how this second world works? I don’t think everbody on Earth can see since that CIA lady was looking at from some sort of machine but…hmn. Well, if Shion (with Izanami’s) help really did create another world that would explain why he was all crusty lookin at the end but…hmn. I wonder if Suou’s story is over. Hei said they’d always be together Hei is…somewhere (hope he doesn’t come back in season 3 lookin all beat up again) and does Suou still have her powers?

There’s too many questions to put them all down here but oh well, at least we’ll have something to think about until season 3….

13. erra@tsukino says:

I’m sure 150% that Yin is not dead! And I’m sure that she’s already returned to her own body when we saw the bright purple light being absorbed by Yin’s body..
    Hei smile shows that it wasn’t meant to be that way when Yin ask him to kill him..
    She’s gotta be with Hei at the lasp ep..
    I’m sure of it!

14. Bored_Ming says:

I’m in the camp that says Yin is not “dead”. I think Hei killing Yin was a figurative statement rather that a literal one. Hei would be killing Yin’s evolved self. Yin has returned to her Doll state and is alive while Hei is carrying her away. Otherwise its really sad. Hei has sacrificed and lost a lot in this series. Letting him have a shred of happiness in the end would be nice. I’m sure the OVA’s will fill in a lot of missing info and help clear things up. Hopefully…..

15. otika says:

This was a good ending in that Suou was resolved (spoiler: she lives in her brother’s heaven). But nothing else resolved either on or off the screen. For starters, Suou realizes she loves Hei, but she’s now fine living a school girl’s life in Earth 2??? Were all the hard-won memories with Hei so fragile to be destroyed so easily even if explained? And then there are all the characters from the main line (Gemini feels like one more of the first season’s arcs). What does Hei want? Yin– but how does that go down? What does Yin want??? I’d really like to know since she’s an important character in Gemini (and she had such great treatment in the first season). Evil Shion wakes up and he wants… to be evil of course, how exactly? Misaki awakens as a part of Syndicate 2 but never gets her huggle time ;_; especially with the (suberb) taunting she endures and Hazuki’s awesome scene with Hei (so sad!) And then there’s the super informant and her goth-loli twins. Why did she help and what does she want? The twins? (Dress July up like Sakutaro?) So many questions that warrant a good telling. Yes, it leaves thinking space, but too few hints for off-screen resolution.

16. Ken says:

3 words, which you’ve already said:

THIRD SEASON WHERE?!!!

17. dong says:

i wish Yin isnt dead yet, and I believe so. A part of her still resides somewhere, afterall we saw another Yin, maybe Shion granted Yin a wish by using his ability, and if u we are to believe that Hei actually did “kill” Yin, there is another Yin. Even so he carried Yin towards a bright star, which might be the new earth. And from there the 2 earths might be linked, wtih Suou uneasy about something is missing in her memories, and so like any humans who strives to solve a riddle behind any mysteries.
    Thats how i would like to interpret the forthcoming events

I wonder what the CIA lady gains in return of helping Shion…so many unanswered questiong yet to be enlighten!

Cant say if I hate the ending, but the riddle is killing me, want an answer!

18. Jess says:

July played quite a role in this sequel, it was kinda surprising considering he played such a minor role in the first one.

So, I kinda grew attached to him xD, i hope we get to see more of July.

19. reverse says:

Third season ? apparently it won’t happen, they currently do not planing to do it.

read Okamura ( Dtb director ) interview here

20. Kazuo says:

I was thinking about some of the things that were said in the few episodes. Perhaps Hei himself was Izanami, and Yin was Izanagi. They said their meeting would mark the 9th month of Izanami’s pregnancy. It could be possible that Hei and Yin conceived a child and the one awakening in the coffin we see at the end is their offspring.

Another possible theory is that when Hei stabs Yin at the end of the episode, her essence is consumed by him which resurrects the BK-201 star. Perhaps the being we see at the end is Hei and Yin in one body; after all, it did look sort of like Hei with white hair and lavender eyes.

21. Chaos says:

Agh, I hate unanswered ending. But from what I can interpret, it paved the way for Second #3. The question whether there is another second depends on whether they have the money for it and the audience’s demand for another sequel. I personally prefer the mystery of DTB world to be answered and a happy ending so I can move on and watch another series already.

I heard they are coming out with 4 episodes OVA on the DVD gapping between S1 and S2 explaining what happened to Hei and Yin. I also saw an Amber look-alike as the enemy, so expect some old-fashion catfight. They need Amber back for S3 or maybe a new, better look-alike. And an ending already.

22. Dougouk says:

I would just like to clear up on few things~ and ask few questions that linger in my head~
    I have rewatched both series and tried to find answers to the unanswered questions, from me and other people…
    These’re all spoilers of course

First of all, Yin = Izanami, Shion = Izanagi (some people say it’s the other way, but w/e)
    Shion made a copy of the Earth (minus the Gates), except that his powers as a contractor weren’t strong enough, so the result was a much smaller Earth – reason why it looked like a moon. From hearing from a lot other people in other forums, it looks like there are no contractors or Dolls existing on that Earth. Maybe contractors and dolls need the Gates to exist?
    Shion’s wish seems to have Suou and her “nakama (patner)” – (he prob wouldn’t have included nakama if Suou hadn’t told him about it, remember when they were walking outside to see the “moon”?)live on the copied Earth. But about the copied Earth, he (for some reason) needed Izanami’s help.
    The boy that looks like Yin and comes out of the coffin would most likely be a copy of Izanami made by Shion. Whether it’s for a trade or just because to fill in the prophecy, I don’t really know the reason. I would like to guess that it was a trade though…
    I have no idea about Yin… My guess is that Izanami is dead, but Yin is alive? Yin and Izanami could be two different beings maybe? Need to wait for OVA for this…
    The copied Earth, (referred to as “heaven” in the prophecy) is run by the computer system that the Madame Oreille (forgot the name) and Dr. Pavlichenko made. It records the memories or all people on Earth on a day-to-day basis, and is somehow used to help the copied Earth live “normally” as possible I guess… My question is, a copied human will need the meteor fragment to have their memories last… but where is the source of their meteor fragment?

23. AKI says:

More like, third season when?

24. Topaz says:

Darker than Black is one of the best anime series of all time, but this second season was a major letdown. Although the ending was designed to make you think, it leaves to much up to guesswork. I hate how many of the main characters changed so much between the two series. The Hei from DtB would never have turned out as the abusive drunk in DtB 2. Misaki also didn’t have as major of a part and lost most of her brave resourcefulness she had in the first season. This should have been made for a whole different series instead of ruining the characters from DtB. It should be given more of a 65/100.

@Anon: Lol I love B-movie type stuff, because the rules are off.
I was the only person who watched Mazinkaiser skl and shin mazinger and skullman.
Anonymous2026379
@Kaiser Takeshi Koike really wanted to really sell it as a grindhouse feature and I ate that shit up; I really dug the tone he was going for.
@Anon: It was strange seeing that Goemon short, much as I enjoyed it, thats the goriest I seen lupin get.
Anonymous2026379
Megalo box is pure retro while lupin is a mix of old and new...and you're right; people just think they can't jump right into it. But that's why more people should be talking about it; to let the masses know that you don't need a starting point to get into the Lupin franchise
I'm a massive fan of the devilman manga and I thought devilman crybaby was better than it.
Anonymous2026379
90's-esque throwback feeling shows like lupin and megalo box have been giving me
Anonymous2026379
Luoin part 5 is definitely mixing the best of new and old. Honestly, I've been having a blast with it as well as this generally 90
I think the problem is, people see lupin as this long thing they can't get into, when really its so episodic/standalone mostly you can pick up and watch.
And of course getting the best bits out of old and new.
*visual style
I'm a fan of this hybrid old and new style, megalobox does it too, mine fujiko aswell and casshern sins.
I was surprised by how well the Fujiko mine show came together in the end.
I'll be interested in picking up more facts about thrm.
Come think of it, Akira Kurosawa did some old western (eastern?) in Russian, that had an Ainu in it.
Anonymous2026379
Asirpa is sooooo adorable.....almost feels patronizing to say that about her due to how badass she is
Anonymous2026379
What makes Fujiko work so well as this sexy icon is that she isn't just sexy: she's smart as shit and uses that sexiness to dominate and control her opponents (similar to bayonetta) rather than be chained by the objectification of her opponents (and the viewers for that matter)
Anonymous2026379
I wonder what other obscure cameos we may get this season. And yea you're right about some of Lupin's potentially sexist traits being assuaged by his level of cool and the genuine respect he shows a good deal of the women he has encountered throughout the series
@Anon: Yet still a fun film at the same time.
Anonymous2026379
@Kaiser Yea, mamo was a pretty dark element introduced to the lupin franchise; and considering the tone of the gravestone of Jigen, it makes sense he would cameo there
@Mario: Help I want to kidnap Asirpa =<
@Anon: I'm probably as surprised as you, at finding someone to talk to about Lupin on here.
@Anon: And through comparing/contrasting the jigen grave stone and Fujiko mine, with some of the sillier older ones, it shows the Lupin characters are flexible enough to work both in a darker AND sillier context.
*character
@Anon: Fujiko is precisely how a fanservicey character should work and how built in/essential it is to her haracter, without becoming an irritant.
@Anon: By all means Lupin himself shouldn't be a character we like, much like Bond, but like Bond theres a coolness to the character that allows us to love him.
@Anon: Another great thing about Lupin is how it uses its 60s cool to get away with what would normally probably be considered fairly sexist.
@Anon: I had a big smile on my face when Mamo made a cameo appearance at the end of one of the recent ones and thats because I remember the Lupin Mamo movie was one of those first anime that I watched about 20 years aago.
Anonymous2026379
not to mention that its one of the few anime this season that actually knows how to utilize dialogue to explore flesh out its characters rather than exposition or contrivance: looking at you darling in the franxx
Anonymous2026379
@Kaiser-Eoghan Nice fun facts; but yea Lupin III is a series that has always had an amazing sense of pacing and adventure, traits that are definitely on display this season
@Anon: Its a huge franchise too so I'm often never sure where to go next.
@Anon: You may or may not know this, but the voice actor for solid snake voiced Lupin in one of the dubs.
@Anon: I watched a few episodes of the Italy set lupin show too .
Its a fun franchise due to its cast but its something I have to follow irregularly, lest it get repetitive.
@Anon: Fun fact, guy who directed the gold of babylon film was a famous B-movie noir director in the 60s.
Dont trust anything written by the original SAO author. Everything is his fault. Kirito is not in this series.
Even the original SAO author has little to do with it, which is why its actually good
So SAO Alt is basically completely removed from the rest of SAO
@Anon: Lupin is one of those things I dip in and out of, whatever part of the franchise it is. I've seen birdcage kingdom, Mamo, cagliostro, nostradamus, Jigens grave stone, mine fujiko and the recent Goemon centred special.
Anonymous2026379
it's a damn shame not a lot of ppl are talkig about/watching lupin the third this season
But for all I know with that team behind it, its an improvement, but theres probably not much point in me watching as I dropped the first season after less than 10 episodes.
See how he attempts to seduce me into watching something related to sword art.
Huh... I didnt know the writer for SAO Alt was written by the Kino's Journey creator and produced by the Flip Flappers people. Explains a lot
I wish I knew what you meant by shaman girls, and I cant wait
@Lenlo, Oh I know Leskinen. May he find his Japanese Shaman girls one day. But seeing as I know the story I wanna experience it differently.
@Mario: Its even set in hokkaido, Korean/Japanese director, Japanese cast, Ken Watanabe is in it: https://letterboxd.com/film/unforgiven-2013/
Also, I love the ED. Really, 2 episodes in, I love S;G all over again.
@Kaiser: really? They remade Unforgiven in Japanese?
its*
Like... is good.
But your missing out on the cult of Leskinen. The engrish is actually one of my favorite parts
@Lenlo, Meanwhile I am happily waiting for the dub.
Dangit... I have to wait another week for Steins;Gate 0 now. I cant do this.
@Mario: The Japanese remake of unforgiven had ainu people in it.
Anonymous2025797
Also I wonder if budget is distributed according to the director, some animes will spend more in the first episode. Some will spend more in the last ones. It's subjective, but if it's like all business it is looking for the better result at the minimum expense. Hence why I believe Berserk was made the way it did.
Anonymous2025797
@Kaiser-Eoghan - Ideally a story should be as long as it needs. But reality seems that a number of episodes is decided before production. And so you either have to stretch or cut material. Kinda like that 300 page manga of Les Miserables, is simply unfeasible translating that book into that few pages.
Oberstein was a great character.
I actually feel Aidan can do a good job on it. Sometimes been too exposed to the material may lead to clouded eyes.
Though I'm surprised by how I unexpectedly laughed at wotaku, I do wonder if later on it will include any slight drama elements to sustain interest.
OMO; OBERsteins; Gate =P
From watching episode 2 of golden kamuy, yeah, the source material definitely is lifting this.
I'm going to have to wait and see on steins; gate 0, it is encouraging to here this might be darker , at the same time I remember having to sit through too much goofy humour in the first one.
I was actually surprised, that, while rare, there were some moments of humour, that lightened it for me.
Throughout the entire series I expected Oberstein to pull some inevitable double cross. And was shocked when he never did.
@Kaiser: Agree with Oberstein. I think antagonists are es important as the mains in fiction and I loved this guy, he's perfect for series like these.
Galactic heroes was an example of where when watching it, when big death scenes occured, I would make noooooo and shouting noises at the screen while clenching my fist.
I love characters like Oberstein, shrewd, clever, but done right to where I can believe it, not characters like, say Lelouch .
I'd be concerned if the new galactic heroes series skimps on the violence, that kind of thing needs to be in there, in most shows/films and shown to be explicit, consequences need to be shown.
*about, not with
Sadly, most original 2+ cours series I know feel dragged whereas many 1 cours originals could have needed ~3 more episodes. Talking with series that have an actual plot of course.
I really like the 13 episodes thingy for originals but I wish there would be more 26 episodes series, especially for adaptions.
@Kaiser: I agree. Nothing kills my interest faster than formularic episodes and repetition.
In general I think 50 episodes would be the most I'd watch for an anime, 39 seems ideal.
Or worse and the romance drama is the main plot and it's Kiznaiver all over again, while the rest is just flavor to make the romances more forced since they're the MCs are only teens and such. Dunno but I can never bring myself to care about this kind of stuff.
Though better 110 episodes of galactic heroes than a long shounen that just repeats itself.
Speaking of recent episodes, I unironically thing that FranXX's world (building) is pretty interesting (although I hope those klaxxosaurusses will be more than just random cannon fodder) but I doubt the series will ever get to the main plot again the next time.
Same here. It was really the only time I did this. I am usually exhausted by just thinking about marathoning long series. It's the reason why I won't get into FMP for the new series either. LotGH was an exception since I found it easily to watch for some reason.
Man, just image burning through 110 episodes of it and my spirit fades away
Watched that whole series ages ago.
Just watched the first three Neue These episodes and I surprinsingly liked it. Thought I would hate it due to being an OVA fan, and I still prefer the old designs by far but overall it's pretty good. I think I might even prefer this version of the first battle, but I have to rewatch the old one I guess.
Also while I can't remember which episode, Yang picks up a book with the author of the series' name on it.
Arslan feels so lightweight by contrast/comparison.
And I think, given your knowledge KTtravlos, that a series review of the new galactic heroes season would probably benefit from you writing it.
I bring up the music in my earlier comment, because I can understand your reservations regarding the music choice in the remake.
And certainly one of those shows, that going back to the first episode after finishing, gives a strong perspective just on how evolving the series was.
*despite me not
Despite not being monarchist , because the characters were human moreso than cartoon characters I couldn't hate on Reinhard.
@Travlos: I suppose by the time it got to Julian's arc, I was surprised they were still bothering to fight but the fact that they were essentially the last bastion of their beliefs made it special.
@Travlos: Sometimes when I just finish a show, its a case where I HAVE to jump online immediately after and excitedly ramble out an essay on it.
niello
ugh democracy
@Kaiser ultimately LOGH for me was a decisive point in my political life, as I think it made the best defense of democracy in any form I have seen. And it worked partly because the opponent was presented in the best possible incarnation (Rienhard). Yang's continued adherence to democracy, despite recongising its flaws, helped me avoid a personal descent into authoritarian politics.
@Kaiser. I am happy you had a good experience. I watched the prequels a while after the main show and I was happy because it was great getting back to those characters. The prequels were also great in fleshing the setting and the characters. So yes, take your time and a break. That way the prequels will be like visiting a place you liked again after a while.
@KTtravlos: I have some other stuff to get through before watching the galactic heroes prequel though =<
YES according to discord poster I'm not a millenial!
Sorry for overposting. I have always always being an incredibly verbose person.
@Vonter; Not that I oppose captilistically made for a buck cinema, it can be entertaining yes, but I set a standard.
@Vonter: As open as I am to trash cinema, I consider the resident evil films, like the superhero ones, anti-art.
I can understand why people don't like Villier, but he did I think work as a device to add extra tension.
I feel some release at finishing but at the same time sadness at saying goodbye to the show and its characters.
, showing its age.
But for something of this length, it kept itself up far better than most long shows and I feel the length its somewhat justified.

On another note….as corny as the third ending theme is, I got the feels listening to it.
But while the first 50 odd episodes were an easy job for me aswell as all of the 4th season and some of the late 3rd season made it difficult for me to pull myself away from it, the dialogue even though often well observed did become difficult to follow at times and somewhere in the middle theres a stretch of episodes, bar some moments that feel a bit of an endurance test and the animation is at
Its attention to detail I felt was at its strongest in the documentary and the series dedication to filling the view in on its world building/fictional history.
I admired the scope, ambition of this series and the battles eventually grew on me and I was surprised by just how visceral the melee combat got which suited me perfectly. At the same time for all the strategy and action, I found myself more in it for the story, characters and intrigue/politicking. Those battles, due in part to their music choices, had an epic feel to them
In the end the characters stood out for me the best were Reinhard, Oberstein (for being essentially the amazing man with the plan), Reuntal, Kircheis and Rubinsky, I warmed up to Julian, Yang and Schenkop. When important deaths occurred, they felt highly dramatic, in four cases emotionally effecting for me .
Also, KTtravlos, thank you for pushing me toward watching the original legend of the galactic heroes, my opinion on the series is largely a mixed one, but by the end I felt I’d watched something rewarding and I’m happy its crossed off my list and I should have gotten round to it sooner.
I'm probably the oldest here, being 32. Which apparently makes me around Yang-wenli's age, which according to someone means I'm middle aged .
To the discord guy who brought it up, its difficult not for me to be political, my father was an activist and is a Marxist , I ended up becoming a contradiction a semi-agnostic, but spiritually inclined/tolerant socialist with internationalist ideology.
@Aidan: Ends in very cliffhanger/abrupt indy way though and the things weakness/how to kill thems too easy.
@Aidan: I liked how it explains nothing also and the creature design and how it visual communicates to the audience.
@Aidan: While I won't say anything, a character death is handled in what I considered a schmaltzy manner. There is a particularly headscratching decision the characters make that you'll either rationalize or hate, but it leads to one of the tenser set pieces later on.
@Aidan: Quiet place has a good idea at its backbone, that they use sign language in the film to communicate and occassional whispers adds to it, it and the silence allows for a mood to be effectively communicated. It does have jump scares, I wasn't annoyed by them, but I never felt the film required them.
@Aidan: I read the discord, if you ever need to ask a question relating to film, come to me about it, I will without fail be able to answer 9 times out of 10.
I was adequately amused by the first episode of wotaku, but found the male lead funnier, which I'm attributing to him be more deadpan.
We found a convient weekend for everyone
*watching
I would also float the idea of recommendation podcasts every now and then.
I will listen to the podcast more in full later. But I was surprised after asking/suggesting it on the discord, that it came so soon.
I am thinking of re-watching gasaraki and ai yori aoshi.
@Niello: Perhaps after a while of watch the anime I will simply jump on to the manga.
I watched Resident Evil: Vendetta yesterday. It's incredible dumb but kind of fun. I do wonder if in terms of entertainment are like the best videogame based movies. Since it plays like a videogame, it's based on a videogame and is more or less in line with the tone the series has had for a while.
niello
It's such a shame that Golden Kamuy art direction is such a train wreck.
and for the sake of Clausewitz there is clinical term for what Reinhard did. It is called "defeat in detail". Napoleon was a master of it. Proper way to defeat it , is to order the threatened force to retreat to a point where other allied forces are converging. The enemy will either have to retreat, or fight at a disadvantage. The 1813 and 1814 campaigns against Napoleon are examples of that.
Episode 2 of LOGGH: Der Neue Thesis was much better than the first. The music is still an issue, but Yang was well portrayed. I do think there is lack of the directors in showing the cruelty of war, like the first one did. We will see.
@Mario: Still need to see his short films and black Peter.
@Anon: I already know the manga and enjoy it, think the anime is a good adaption so far. Feels good to see a series about video games that are actually just games and romance without tsunderes, tons of blushing or unworldly naive harem girls.
Anonymous2016456
the anime
Anonymous2016456
how do you guys think of wotakoi?
@Kaiser: Hereditary sounds pretty promising here
Forman's an interesting case, when you look at the huge disconnect from his early films from the 60s and then what he went on to make.
Ah, unfortunately I am not a fan of country music so Nashville didn't appeal to me =<
@Mario: And before Jack kept playing the same role over and over.
@Mario: Aside from Courtney Love's presence, Larry Flynt is an excellent film. I love the custom camera tricks Kubrick used in Lyndon , dog day afternoon suceeded for me because it did so much more than being just a bank rob film. I wish Spielberg would return to his pre-90s films .
Cuckoo's Nest reminds me of the great 1975 Oscar Best Picture, which for me was Oscar's greatest line-up. The line-ups for that year were: Cuckoo Nest (winner), Nashville, Barry Landon, Dog Day Afternoon and Jaws
@Kaiser: RIP the man. I've seen 2 of his, Amadeus and Cuckoo Nest. Both great but they were more because of the strength of the source
@Mario: Milos forman has died =<
Indeed the character designs in steins; gate have seen changes....shockingly mayuri's chest is larger than Daru's ;)
I can live with that. Interested to see what made you reserved.
@KTravlos: you won't agree with my series review then. I have a lot of reservations on VE
Also I finished Violet Evergarden. This was an exceptional series in my book.
the two characters. Finally the battle soundtrack was simply wrong.

I am going to watch it because it is LOGH. And frankly after watching the new one I felt the fact that the old one was dated technical wise (but not in music). But at least on comparison of first episodes, the old one did a better job at giving depth to Reinhard and Keircheis.
well I watched the first episode of the new LOGH and then watched the first episode of the older version. The update in the art is good..but. If the old one was too talky, this one is too boom boom. I also felt that they did not sue the time well to establish Reihard and Kircheis well. Especially the removal of some lines that were in the first episode of the original, really took away a lot from
@Amagi: I can see your point but what a premise for Golden Kamuy.
Although golden kamuy is labeled seinen, which gives me some more hope for it.
@Amagi: agree with you about remembering stuffs you've watched. For me, it's always until the second watch that I can remember the plot or characters clearly. Otherwise, all will get hazy like a dream
Anonymous2011116
@Anon Watch a few eps and then male an informed decision based on that; I find the storytelling to be a bit weak but you might not feel the same
@Anon, If you can ignore the rather odd fanservice and sex symbolism it's actually a pretty enjoyable show with good animation whose story has been getting better.
Think it's always the best to watch the first episode since other people might hate something you will love or vice versa.
@Anon: For me it still feels like Kiznaiver but I think it really depends on how much you care about the characters and teen relationship deama.
Anonymous2010671
Hey is Darlin the Franxx actually good? It looked kind of just like an ecchi mecha series, but just kind of glancing at the reviews over here makes me think it's more than I'm giving it credit for

Legend of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These – 2/3[The Battle of Astarte/An Indomitable Prodigy]

If I was to judge this adaption based solely on the first three episodes I would declare it a resounding success. For while I do really like the old series, it does have a rather slow start. I say i only truly got invested in it around episode 3 or 4 when the more political […]

Golden Kamuy – 02 [Nopperabo]

Leave it to Japanese cartoon that done the Western genre better than the Westerners, at least from what we have seen so far (note: despite my pun, Western the genre doesn’t refer to the Western culture, but to the American Old West). Granted, Japanese cinema and literature has a strong tradition of samurai genre, which […]

Hinamatsuri – 02 [This Is How You Have a ESP Battle!]

Welcome to THE comedy gold of the season. Before I get into anything specific, let’s me discuss about what make this little show about a psychic girl and a yakuza hilarious in the first place. The main source of humor in Hinamatsuri largely comes from situation-based weirdness. Putting these characters out of their comfort zones […]

Darling in the Franxx – 14[Punishment and Confession]

Last time Darling and the Franxx had it’s best episode yet which raised my opinion of the series and gave me hopes for greater things moving forward. So it’s sad that they follow this up with the worst episode of the series to date. This episode was pure frustration to watch because you knew exactly […]

Megalo Box – 2 [The Man Only Dies Once]

Welcome to the Spring 2018 anime season! I am proud to present to you the Ashita no Joe 50th Anniversary project, Megalo Box. Easily the most stylish anime of the season. Lets jump in! With just 2 episodes, Megalo Box has become my favorite for the season. Everything about it feels like it comes from […]

Darling in the Franxx – 13[The Beast and the Prince]

That was the best episode of Darling in the Franxx to date. Truly I am impressed with this though it may be perhaps because the fanservice aspects of the show were not present at all during this episode. Todays episode was spent entirely on the past of Hiro and Zero Two. When this episode is […]

Fate/Extra Last Encore – 08-10[No Second Strike ― Dead End ― /Golden Theater of the Deranged ― Aestus Domus Aurea ― /Unlimited――― ― Unlimited/ Raise・Dead ―]

It hard to have an opinion on the last three episodes of Fate/Extra when the content has been quite similar to the previous episodes of the cour. For now the series has ended with the remaining episodes coming as a special later. Still unknown if that was the actual special broadcast that was originally considered […]

Darling in the Franxx – 10-12[The City of Eternity/Partner Shuffle/The Garden Where It All Began]

Three episode coverage this week as many things got in the way of my casual blogging, the much late preview being one of them. I must say that the last few episodes of Franxx have been quite strong as we have had a string of character development episodes which have really fleshed out the cast. […]

“I wallow in anime mediocrity”

For me a mediocre show is one that I can watch and enjoy, but which does not really break new ground in elements of animation, story, or cinematography, or does not “move” me. It does not if you will touch the “higher” emotions and faculties of who I am, but does leave me satisfied at […]

Kokkoku – 42.5/100

There are lots of bad anime out there, for one reason or another. Whether it be stilted animation, terrible writing or bad direction, a good portion of each season is simply not worth it. Kokkoku is not a bad anime. It is something much worse. Kokkoku is a mediocre anime. Bad ones get talked about, […]

Junji Ito Collection Anime Review – 40/100

In the realm of manga there is a man whose name is inescapable when the genre of horror is brought up. That man is Junji Ito and his work is considered legendary for its artistic detail, mastery of manga paneling and it’s outlandish imaginative concepts. Up till now his work has yet to have an […]

Yuru Camp (Winter 2018) Review – 74/100

I admit that I underestimated Yuru Camp back in its first few episodes. I took it as a standard, run-on-the-mill slice of life show and I fully expected to give it 3 episodes at max before throwing it into the deep sea of forgotten anime. But as time pass, I can certainly see many good […]

Neo Yokio – 96/100

This may be half a year overdue but I simply can’t accept that none of the writing staff of Star Crossed Anime have cover the the biggest development in anime where Netflix took a hand in producing anime in the form of Neo Yokio. Taking place in the metropolis of Neo Yokio, a mashup between […]

Devilman Crybaby – 83/100

It’s an exciting time to be an anime fan where new business models and players are making big waves within the animation industry. After debuting with the original and excellently-produced Neo Yokio, the juggernaut streaming service of Netflix has decided to revive the classic series of Devilman and gives it the full adaption treatment. By […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 69/100

Fantasy is a rather prolific genre in anime, with a vast majority of Isekai and Shounen fitting snugly into it. Most take place in their own unique setting, either Amestris of Full Metal Alchemist or the made of world of the latest Isekai trash. Few however try to set themselves in our world. To peel […]

Mary and the Witch’s Flower – 73/100 (Joint Review)

Wooper: Mary and the Witch’s Flower is the first feature film from Studio Ponoc, which spun off from Studio Ghibli in early 2015. Given Ghibli’s towering reputation, the bar was high for this inaugural flick, which recently made its way to U.S. theaters, giving Lenlo and I a chance to see it on the big […]

In This Corner of the World (2016) Movie Review – 90/100

In this Corner of the World (for the purpose of this review, I’ll refer it as “Corner”), is the truest slice of life drama if you ever encounter one, in that it’s a slice into an ordinary life of an ordinary girl during the War period. That speaks into the very first strength of Corner, […]

Houseki no Kuni (Fall 2017) Review – 92/100

Make no mistake, Houseki no Kuni is the most ambitious anime project of the year. Not only because it’s an entirely CG project (and make a damn good use of it, mind you), or because of its narrative scope that at once strange, grand and beauty, but also in its very conception in their production […]