Posted by psgels on 25 December 2009 with categories: Darker than Black - Ryuusei no Gemini

Yeah, this episode was rushed. There’s no denying that this episode lacked the emotional impact that it could have produced if it took things easy. However, I don’t think that the creators really intended this episode as entertainment, but rather as brainfood. A lot of weird stuff happened here, and you know what? I’m actually still interested. For a Bones Ending, it’s actually not that bad. Plus, that soundtrack was just bloody awesome.

First of all, Shion. I thought that he was really a huge bastard, however his goal was pretty gentle. It turns out that he set out to Tokyo in order to get to the gate, and create a completely copied world in which Suou wouldn’t feel out of place. He hid it well, but I think that he felt really guilty about what he did to her.

The mystery-element here is of course Yin, but we have to wait for the OVAs to get some concrete answers on that. What we do know is that her powers helped Shion complete his plan: she helped him create a copy of the entire earth, and she brought July and Suou there: two children who indeed shouldn’t be involved with these adult struggles. In this episode, it’s also made clear that copies can’t retain their memories for long, so that’s why Suou was experimented with with her necklace. So apparently, Yin also made sure that Suou and the others would be able to survive without this pendant.

Then, the motives of the woman of the CIA: she for some reason was very interested in Shion’s ability to create copies (Hmm, what if one of the twins that’s with her is a copy as well?), and her actions seem to revolve around that. We now know that she helped Shion create his copies, and my guess is that when Shion came with the plan of creating an entire new planet because he didn’t want to involve Suou anymore, I guess she found it an interesting idea and cooperated with him. Her ulterior motives still are a mystery, though.

Then there’s Yin: why the hell are there two of them? The OVA is really going to have to answer that question. Also, the prophecy: Izanami and Izanagi, who we assumed to be Shion and Yin, met, and yet nothing bad happened. Again some OVA material, or perhaps the white Yin was Izanami, and so the disaster could be averted.

Then: Suou and July behaving uncontractor-like. My guess is that it’s got something to do with Hei. He’s always been a big question-mark: he has his sister who lives in him, who may or may not have disappeared completely when his powers were taken away. My guess is that he has some sort of effect on children and teenagers, that allows them to retain their their personality.

In the end, before I started to watch this episode I really think that I’ve been a bit too much spoiled by endings that just spoon-feed their information to the viewer. This episode was a nice wake-up call and it showed the power that these “rushed endings” can have. This episode didn’t treat its audience like idiots, and instead it’s just one of those episodes where if you don’t think about it, you’re going to dislike it.

Overall, I may have said this a bit too often by now, but THIRD SEASON WHERE?! Ryuusei no Gemini really was a really well done side-story, but there’s still so much potential left here in this series. It’s another one in the increasingly long list of shows that desperately need continuations. And yes, I’ve heard about the rumours but I’m not going to get my hopes up until I see official confirmation.
Rating: ** (Excellent)

1. Snowolf says:

I certainly did not see all that coming. For me it felt like a WTF episode. There were still a lot of plot holes which hopefully will be explained in the OVAs but there was just TOO MUCH left open ended, which is why it lacked the ending it could have achieved. I’m still confused about a lot of things, especially hei/Yin and the whole second earth thing. I mean, how can you copy all of that? And how can you see it in the fake sky? And WHO WAS THAT SHORT HAIRED YIN PERSON IN THE COFFIN?!

2. ebisu says:

Rumours, since I saw the next part of Hajime no Ippo animated after an eight years pause they really just don’t matter.

3. Pat says:

I never understood what Darker Than Black was about. I only enjoy the kick-ass fight scenes.

4. uebo7 says:

You said that nothing happened when Shion and Yin met, but I think they created that “boy yin” in the coffin that woke up at the end. The one who killed Mr. Smith. It was said that they would “give birth” to something terrible.
    That sounds like it could be the “final boss” type thing, thus sudgesting a new season.

5. m says:

I don’t cut them any slack here. DtB2 was much more focused than DtB, and I rather liked that. DtB created a world and revealed the histories of its characters, but it never told a cohesive story or gave itself a rationale and its ending was just a tacked on mess. DtB2 had the pretense of correcting this and punted at the end, either because they wasted so much time on side characters, because they wanted to leave a path to milk the frachise, or because they simply couldn’t tie it together.

I’d also say that Suou is dead. Suou was never anything more than a collection of memories that she accumulated by living. The life she leads in Shion’s playland doesn’t look anything like her life. It may look like the life Shion wished that he had experienced, but what of it? If you have a twin and its life turns out well and you get hit by a bus, it’s not much consolation. It doesn’t do anything to fix the world afflicted with the scourge of the gates, so it’s only a cheery ending in a completely superficial interpretation. They wanted to conclude Suou’s story, but they did so in a manner that made Suou unnecessary to begin with. The only role she ultimately played was getting Hei sober. In every other way she was a liability that hampered Hei’s progress.

Even though I’ll probably end up doing it anyway, I don’t really see why I would buy the discs for this show, because while it was mostly entertaining it’s not a finished product. I saw this looming on the horizon and hoped for an announcement of another 13 episodes to no avail. Bones does excellent animation, but pretty much any time they have to go off the rails with writing they create a giant mess. After dumping coins into the PSN slot machine to get the anticlimactic Xam’d, on top of almost every other Bones work I’ve watched, it’s like buying early Neal Stephenson novels; only a lot more expensive.

6. Glass says:

Wow, what an ending… Most animes don’t have endings this good. You’re spot on about the “spoon-fed endings”. I just love when things are left unexplained and you have to think about it. This is a gem of a story and it has been treated well.

Before watching it I re-watched the previous eleven episodes, and this time I notice how big Misaki’s role is. She kinda explained the story to me, maybe because her own personal journey to find the truth (and Hei) happens in parallel to ours (the viewers).

The only thing I don’t understand is what she meant with the her “wish”. This made me think that maybe Hei was the one who wished for Suou to be saved, at the expense of losing Yin. But that’s just a theory…

Suou’s ending was charmingly peaceful and cute. Then it cuts to the next scene showing the fake planet. Yeah… That’s the kind of escapism that only anime provides.

7. kyuzo says:

“Also, the prophecy: Izanami and Izanagi, who we assumed to be Shion and Yin, met, and yet nothing bad happened.”

they met indeed, but didn’t the white yin told hei that he could still stop whatever was gonna happen by killing her?

i really wish they’d make a third season.

8. Axe says:

Wow! What a great ending, thou I wished they one more ep to make the DTB2 more complete. Still despite the its size they did a great job. The biggest mystery of this ep is probably the very last scene when the CIA just die like that. Hopefully the OVAs will shed more light to what happened overall in DTB2.

9. d4t2ill4 says:

hmm, somehow after watching this last episode I still feel its incomplete. Alot of questions still left unanwered. How did Yin become like that? why are there two Yin? yin & yang? why her code name suddenly changed to Izanami? did the project to create a new world started before Hei and Yin met? and yin was part of this project in the beginning? and her counter part is Yang (izanagi). When they meet, would this mean the creation of the new world is completed and Yin will bear a child (god of fire, maybe destruction to the existing world?).

10. nbamaniac says:

at last.. an anime that makes people think..

11. Unsupervised says:

I’m not as satisfied as the others with this ending, although I loved every episode of this season up until this one.

The problem I find is that while the emphasis of the entire season (series maybe, even) was on the development of Hei, Suou and Misaki.. but the last episode was entirely about prophecies, mysterious happenings and revelations about Shion.

12. Mimi says:

At first, after still having about 4 minutes left in the episode, I was like ‘for an ending, this kind of sucks..’, then i watched the rest and was like, OoO…awesome…lol

I don’t see this ending as incomplete because its not really an ending, it’s a beginning (to quote Misaki). Most likely the OVAs wil fill in some gaps but I doubt we will ever have the whole story but thats how DtB is and its exactly why its so great.

A lot of people were wondering why their were two Yins. I thought that the one in black rep’d Izanami and the other was the true Yin, which is why Hei smiled at her when she told him to kill her. He was happy that to see her and that her true self hadn’t disappeared entirely.

Waht I want to know is how this second world works? I don’t think everbody on Earth can see since that CIA lady was looking at from some sort of machine but…hmn. Well, if Shion (with Izanami’s) help really did create another world that would explain why he was all crusty lookin at the end but…hmn. I wonder if Suou’s story is over. Hei said they’d always be together Hei is…somewhere (hope he doesn’t come back in season 3 lookin all beat up again) and does Suou still have her powers?

There’s too many questions to put them all down here but oh well, at least we’ll have something to think about until season 3….

13. erra@tsukino says:

I’m sure 150% that Yin is not dead! And I’m sure that she’s already returned to her own body when we saw the bright purple light being absorbed by Yin’s body..
    Hei smile shows that it wasn’t meant to be that way when Yin ask him to kill him..
    She’s gotta be with Hei at the lasp ep..
    I’m sure of it!

14. Bored_Ming says:

I’m in the camp that says Yin is not “dead”. I think Hei killing Yin was a figurative statement rather that a literal one. Hei would be killing Yin’s evolved self. Yin has returned to her Doll state and is alive while Hei is carrying her away. Otherwise its really sad. Hei has sacrificed and lost a lot in this series. Letting him have a shred of happiness in the end would be nice. I’m sure the OVA’s will fill in a lot of missing info and help clear things up. Hopefully…..

15. otika says:

This was a good ending in that Suou was resolved (spoiler: she lives in her brother’s heaven). But nothing else resolved either on or off the screen. For starters, Suou realizes she loves Hei, but she’s now fine living a school girl’s life in Earth 2??? Were all the hard-won memories with Hei so fragile to be destroyed so easily even if explained? And then there are all the characters from the main line (Gemini feels like one more of the first season’s arcs). What does Hei want? Yin– but how does that go down? What does Yin want??? I’d really like to know since she’s an important character in Gemini (and she had such great treatment in the first season). Evil Shion wakes up and he wants… to be evil of course, how exactly? Misaki awakens as a part of Syndicate 2 but never gets her huggle time ;_; especially with the (suberb) taunting she endures and Hazuki’s awesome scene with Hei (so sad!) And then there’s the super informant and her goth-loli twins. Why did she help and what does she want? The twins? (Dress July up like Sakutaro?) So many questions that warrant a good telling. Yes, it leaves thinking space, but too few hints for off-screen resolution.

16. Ken says:

3 words, which you’ve already said:

THIRD SEASON WHERE?!!!

17. dong says:

i wish Yin isnt dead yet, and I believe so. A part of her still resides somewhere, afterall we saw another Yin, maybe Shion granted Yin a wish by using his ability, and if u we are to believe that Hei actually did “kill” Yin, there is another Yin. Even so he carried Yin towards a bright star, which might be the new earth. And from there the 2 earths might be linked, wtih Suou uneasy about something is missing in her memories, and so like any humans who strives to solve a riddle behind any mysteries.
    Thats how i would like to interpret the forthcoming events

I wonder what the CIA lady gains in return of helping Shion…so many unanswered questiong yet to be enlighten!

Cant say if I hate the ending, but the riddle is killing me, want an answer!

18. Jess says:

July played quite a role in this sequel, it was kinda surprising considering he played such a minor role in the first one.

So, I kinda grew attached to him xD, i hope we get to see more of July.

19. reverse says:

Third season ? apparently it won’t happen, they currently do not planing to do it.

read Okamura ( Dtb director ) interview here

20. Kazuo says:

I was thinking about some of the things that were said in the few episodes. Perhaps Hei himself was Izanami, and Yin was Izanagi. They said their meeting would mark the 9th month of Izanami’s pregnancy. It could be possible that Hei and Yin conceived a child and the one awakening in the coffin we see at the end is their offspring.

Another possible theory is that when Hei stabs Yin at the end of the episode, her essence is consumed by him which resurrects the BK-201 star. Perhaps the being we see at the end is Hei and Yin in one body; after all, it did look sort of like Hei with white hair and lavender eyes.

21. Chaos says:

Agh, I hate unanswered ending. But from what I can interpret, it paved the way for Second #3. The question whether there is another second depends on whether they have the money for it and the audience’s demand for another sequel. I personally prefer the mystery of DTB world to be answered and a happy ending so I can move on and watch another series already.

I heard they are coming out with 4 episodes OVA on the DVD gapping between S1 and S2 explaining what happened to Hei and Yin. I also saw an Amber look-alike as the enemy, so expect some old-fashion catfight. They need Amber back for S3 or maybe a new, better look-alike. And an ending already.

22. Dougouk says:

I would just like to clear up on few things~ and ask few questions that linger in my head~
    I have rewatched both series and tried to find answers to the unanswered questions, from me and other people…
    These’re all spoilers of course

First of all, Yin = Izanami, Shion = Izanagi (some people say it’s the other way, but w/e)
    Shion made a copy of the Earth (minus the Gates), except that his powers as a contractor weren’t strong enough, so the result was a much smaller Earth – reason why it looked like a moon. From hearing from a lot other people in other forums, it looks like there are no contractors or Dolls existing on that Earth. Maybe contractors and dolls need the Gates to exist?
    Shion’s wish seems to have Suou and her “nakama (patner)” – (he prob wouldn’t have included nakama if Suou hadn’t told him about it, remember when they were walking outside to see the “moon”?)live on the copied Earth. But about the copied Earth, he (for some reason) needed Izanami’s help.
    The boy that looks like Yin and comes out of the coffin would most likely be a copy of Izanami made by Shion. Whether it’s for a trade or just because to fill in the prophecy, I don’t really know the reason. I would like to guess that it was a trade though…
    I have no idea about Yin… My guess is that Izanami is dead, but Yin is alive? Yin and Izanami could be two different beings maybe? Need to wait for OVA for this…
    The copied Earth, (referred to as “heaven” in the prophecy) is run by the computer system that the Madame Oreille (forgot the name) and Dr. Pavlichenko made. It records the memories or all people on Earth on a day-to-day basis, and is somehow used to help the copied Earth live “normally” as possible I guess… My question is, a copied human will need the meteor fragment to have their memories last… but where is the source of their meteor fragment?

23. AKI says:

More like, third season when?

24. Topaz says:

Darker than Black is one of the best anime series of all time, but this second season was a major letdown. Although the ending was designed to make you think, it leaves to much up to guesswork. I hate how many of the main characters changed so much between the two series. The Hei from DtB would never have turned out as the abusive drunk in DtB 2. Misaki also didn’t have as major of a part and lost most of her brave resourcefulness she had in the first season. This should have been made for a whole different series instead of ruining the characters from DtB. It should be given more of a 65/100.

Shoutbox

Name:
Email:
For:
Mail will not be published
  • Bam
    (Saturday, Dec 20. 2014 10:03 PM)
    @Emma: I don’t know, although the characters are flat the love triangle still seems to work here. That’s probably due to relatively normal way they interact with eachother which doesn’t have too many “senpai!” moments.
  • Emma
    (Saturday, Dec 20. 2014 09:39 PM)
    *there
  • Emma
    (Saturday, Dec 20. 2014 09:39 PM)
    I think going through Parasyte again as an anime outside of the soundtrack I’m starting to realize that I wasn’t really into the characters beyond Reiko, Shinichi and Migi a whole lot. Beyond that I was mainly their for the violence.
  • Bam
    (Saturday, Dec 20. 2014 09:18 PM)
    I don’t even know how they are going to get to where the PP movie poster suggests, as Akane is wearing a police-like uniform in that while her inspector status was reinstated by the end of the second season, so bunch of more contrived (and possibly inconsequential) events are sure to ensue.
  • Bam
    (Saturday, Dec 20. 2014 09:14 PM)
    @Cap: this season’s characterizations were straight up appalling. From Ginoza to the police chief to the cartoonist breakouts of Togane and Kitazawa to every single factor regarding Shimotsuki were gravely mishandled.
  • Bam
    (Saturday, Dec 20. 2014 09:10 PM)
    @Aidan: honestly if that’s the biggest criticism of the show then it must be doing pretty good. He uses bunch of electronic styles, all of them in various degrees of bad taste, but I started not noticing it as much since I was focused on the plot or the action, so it must be one of those things that only really bothers you if you’re actively looking for it.
  • CapRooney
    (Saturday, Dec 20. 2014 06:33 PM)
    Also the wasted potential of Ginoza’s character, from a detached investigator who saw the Enforcers merely as tools for administering justice, to someone whose screen time was less than Akane’s Kogami hallucinations, when his downfall to Enforcer rank could have been a lot more interesting, and maybe become a character like Masaoka.
  • CapRooney
    (Saturday, Dec 20. 2014 06:26 PM)
    I even went and rewatched her arc in the first season to see if there were some hints that could conduct her to turn out like this, and no, seems like this Mika was just created straight out of thin air.
  • CapRooney
    (Saturday, Dec 20. 2014 06:24 PM)
    Oh man, did Ubukata even watch Psycho Pass 1? Because there’s no other explanation on how Mika’s character came out to be. Looks like they needed a haughty character to “oppose” Akane and decided that she was the right one for the job.
  • AidanAK47
    (Saturday, Dec 20. 2014 03:02 PM)
    @Bam, but the dubstep is still out of place.

1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · »

Recommendation corner 02 – Light novels #1

Its very easy to disregard the light novel genre completely as it is responsible for the creation of quite a number of unoriginal, bad and shameless pandering anime in recent years. However there still are worthwhile stories within the genre. They are just a little less known.   Mushoku Tensei Description: A 34-year-old NEET otaku […]

Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Bladeworks – 10

Very nice start to the beginning of the episode with the Unlimited Bladeworks chant. Sure, it has been parodied to kingdom come but I still love it and all it’s broken engrish glory. But now I can say it with certainty. This series is not suitable for being watched weekly. In watching this episode I […]

Nanatsu no Taizai – 10

Fights blew past fast this episode. We had four fights in one episode so my previous fears of this getting dragged look to be untrue.  Notables being the fight between a mystery girl and a holy knight whose head is so disproportionate from his body that you could swear someone took the head of a […]

Gugure! Kokkuri-San- 06-10

So I’ve been gone for a while partially because of work, school, and my political activities, but also because I wanted to try approaching how I review in a (hopefully) interesting way. I’d be interested in hearing your feedback on this, as I am trying to inject more of my own personality into the way […]

Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Bladeworks – 09

The pattern continues with another building up episode. Admittedly I find this somewhat disappointing. I feel that this show would be better marathoned than watched weekly as the wait for what is a essentially a build up to the next episode can hamper the experience a bit. As I said before, this show would work […]

Nanatsu no Taizai – 09

The fight between explosives girl and the sins was ended quicker than I thought. When King entered the fight it was settled almost immediately.  King made short work of her as Elaine provided some supposedly badass exposition saying how King is originally known as the king of the fairies, harlequin. I say supposedly because it […]

Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Bladeworks – 08

Another episode has come and gone. This episode marking the first casualty of the holy grail war. Looks like Rider is out of the running. It is a bit sad to see her go so unceremoniously and even defeated off screen. Well, we shall see you again in the upcoming heavens feel movie, where you […]

Nanatsu no Taizai – 08

There was a few questionable things here this episode. The episode starts with the new villain quite literally killing herself to enter the kingdom of the dead. Which is a big risk considering it was based on one sentence from a child she was threatening. True being a shounen show there’s likely some magical biology […]

Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Bladeworks – 07

As expected, this week we have another action filled episode. Queue the pretty explosions and fast paced fighting. It felt too short despite the episode length being just the same as the others. I often find that with a good episode of anime it makes you lose the concept of time as you watch. Making […]

Clipboard06

Nerawareta Gakuen Review – 84/100

Let me talk a bit about Ryousuke Nakamura. For a long time, this guy was my hero. He started off as an assistant director to Monster, in my opinion a big reason why that series got such a ridiculously solid adaptation, and then in 2008 he came with the groundbreaking Mouryou no Hako. No TV-series […]

Clipboard03

Kick Heart

Okay, so I didn’t want to exit 2013 without having seen Masaaki Yuasa’s Kick Heart. It’s only twelve minutes anyway, and I consider him to be one of the best anime directors out there. The story here is pretty silly and mostly serves as a backdrop, so I mostly want to talk about the nature […]

Clipboard01

Kyousogiga Review – 90/100

Everyone’s taste is different, and that’s a wonderful thing because that allows us to have so many different forms of media that all aim toward their own niche. My blog is obviously written from the perspective of my own taste, and even when a show doesn’t cater to it (which is nearly always), I love […]

Clipboard04

Ore no Nounai Sentakushi ga, Gakuen Lovecome o Zenryoku de Jama Shiteiru Review – 80/100

Noucome! You do not want to know how long I have been waiting for a series like this. More than half a decade, at the very least. Finally a series comes along and puts the incredibly overused harem genre in its place. And it actually does it well. Thank you! So to elaborate: the harem […]

Clipboard01

Pokemon: The Origin Review – 75/100

Normally I try to avoid spoilers with these reviews, but screw it, it’s Pokemon. Pokemon The Origin is a bomb of nostalgia. If you haven’t played Pokemon Red, Blue or Green, then you will not enjoy this one slight bit. This really is made as pure undilluted fanservice for the fans of the first games. […]

Clipboard08

Tamayura – More Aggressive Review – 75/100

I’m not going to dedicate a post for my impression for the final three episodes of this series. It was just too boring to write much about. I guess that that gives a pretty accurate indication of what I think about this series. Right at the start of Tamayura’s second season, I asked one question: […]

Clipboard04

Silver Spoon Review – 86/100

When Noitamina started airing two series per season, it was amazing. It’s a timeslot that on average tends to be aimed at a much older audience than usual, and having two series with the same mentality definitely helped to bring more diversity to anime overall. Unfortunately it’s a schedule that could not be kept up […]

Clipboard07

Yondemasuyo, Azazel-San Z Review – 82,5/100

Reviewing a comedy sequel usually is quite simple: in most cases it just drops the bomb and runs out of inspiration, and in rare cases it actually manages to stay hilarious. The tricky thing with these kinds of series is that you need to remain funny, and you need to have the inspiration for that. […]

Clipboard05

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet Review – 81/100

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet tells the storyline of a planet that is completely submerged, with only giant ships residing on the surface, while one of those ships gets visited by this guy and his AI-mecha from this very technologically advanced civilization. Yes, this show is about world building. What this show managed to do […]