Posted by psgels on 6 February 2010 with categories: Armed Librarians - The Book of Bantorra

Holy crap, you people weren’t kidding about this episode! This series just continues to get better and better. What an incredibly creative script, this series really takes no conventions for granted.

Oh, remmember the first few episodes of this series, in which Volken was nothing but an average lead character with a strong sense of justice. Seriously, I never expected that someone as Olivia Litlet would get more screen-time than he did. The way that this series plays around with our expectations and turns them into something unpredictable is just unbelievable.

So yeah: Volken died. The creators actually had the GUTS to kill him off. And yet Olivia still lives at the end of this episode. This episode did such a great job of developing the two of them. Volken on one hand seeing his beliefs destroyed when he found out that his mentor was not the upholder of justice he believed him to be, while Olivia as a strong woman searched for the passion that she once lost. It’s that passion and perseverance of her that really allowed her to live as a meat. Colio had already shown that it was possible, and she just took it a small step further. The whole ritual? She was trying the entire time to get her memories of Vend Ruga back. As someone who took care of her when she was a child and before the church got her.

Also, we’ve been expecting this for quite a while now, but Hamyuts finally confirmed it: the Church and the Armed Librarians aren’t at war at all. They just pretend to be. Heck, the Church was even created by the Armed Librarians. My guess is that they were intended to take care of all of the dirty work, probably for that damn tree or something. My guess is that it feeds on exciting books. That would be quite the irony: that the Armed Librarians and the Church just exist in order to provide nice books.

It’s also interesting: all this time it turned out that Hamyuts Meseta followed after a red herring, and basically sank a ship for nothing, just because Olivia wanted to scrabble her feelings on the wall. However, for her to go through such lengths. I really believe that we’ve found our major villain of this series. Or rather: the major good guy, since we’ve now pretty much confirmed that the Armed Librarians are the bad guys.
Rating: *** (Awesome)

1. Alec says:

to me, this anime is on of the best this season

my favourite ep so far… Volken stayed pure and innocent till the end…

2. Kessler says:

In the comments for the 17 episode, Machi described Volken as plain naive, attacking Hamy for unimportant reasons and that he’d never agree with the relations between Librarians and the Church. He also noted that Olivia was much more interesting character, and how she got little screen time.

And in this episode Hamy said basically the same things to the Volken’s face. And Olvia turned out to be much more important, getting more screen time.

I think the show did manage to make Volken more interesting (or at least playing his part in the story perfectly) in a very unexpected way.

3. Ghostfriendly says:

The junior librarians aren’t really villains; Hamy and Matt are pretty nasty, but might have reasons that haven’t been revealed, like preventing the destruction of the world by whatever they’re sending those books to.

Really teared up when the Meats got their feelings back, Librarians ringing the bell for Volken was sweet too.

4. J Reyes says:

Man I’m glad that green haired jackass is dead. Characters like him are everywhere and his presence will not be missed.

5. reverse says:

seeing Volken beliefs got crush by Hamyuts Meseta. its just sad and awesome.

6. Shelz says:

Volken was a really good character to call him a jackass is going out there. He had an amazing sense of justice and to break off from the only family he had, due to the path that the head was making takes guts in my eyes. He had a great story and I think the author gave him a good ending.

7. jho says:

I can’t take anything for granted with this series. Series like this is rare. Going to enjoy this awesome ride all the way to the end.

8. Mikhail says:

I really hate Hamyuts, Volken for me was the best character because of his morals and justice, seeing him die like that was really sad. I wish he would have killed Hamyuts, or I at least wish Hamyuts dies soon. I like all the characters in this anime except her.

• cras says:

Oh man I have to completely disagree with you. It’s refreshing to see the good guy dying for what he believes in, instead of living a life of ignorance and naivety; like most shows allow their main characters to do.

And what?! you want Hamyuts to die, haha well, I’m sure she would like that too.

Whenever I see Hamyuts on screen I get damn excited, you have no idea what she’s going to do, and everything she says is straightforward and to the point. She’s smart, cunning, and damn ruthless to anyone who stands between her and her goals. She is by far my favorite character in this series.

9. Mr. C says:

VOLKEN

My prediction (see comments on ep.18) turned out to be correct. Hamyuts really killed Volken.
    What a sad ending for Volken (it reminds me of John Locke dying in Lost)! His pursuit was in vain, everything he believed turned out to be a lie. Nonetheless, he took pride in dying on the right side of the battle. His beliefs cost him his life.
    In a way, he was able to die a good and honorable death, he was valiant in life and even though his beliefs crumbled around him, his life was blemish-less. Before dying, his last words were that he lost everything, but that is not altogether true. His sense of justice remained even when all the justice around him was nothing more than a falsehood. He died not as an Armed Librarian, but as a True Armed Librarian ought to have been. I believe his book will be important for the plot of the story.

ARMED LIBRARIANS VS CHURCH

My prediction was almost right! So the Church was created by the Armed Librarians, it makes sense, since Fothona was trying to remove the Guardian of Paradise from his post. One thing remains to be solved then. Who knows the relationship between the Church and the Armed Librarians besides the Acting Director? Matt seems to know. Those two siblings dressed up in winter clothes seem to know it too.

LASCALL OTHELLO

Ok, so Lascall is not human and is an independent existence from the Church and the Armed Librarians. He’s not be be pursued, because he (I’m using he even though he appears as a girl now) is one of the mysteries regarding the truth about this world. The other mystery is…

HEAVEN

I’m starting to believe that heaven might be that Tree or someone else, and not a place. Books are taken to Heaven. Maybe that person glowing as the moonshine in the OP is Heaven…

WHO ARE THE GOOD GUYS?

Hard question. Certainly not the Armed Librarians. I mean, can we call someone who bombs an entire ship, killing a lot of people “good”?

THE VIOLET SINNER

Now, Vend Ruga seemed a very good character, maybe he was on the right side. More enigmatic still is the person known as the Violet Sinner. Who is she? She was attempting to destroy Heaven, and this brought the attention of the Church and the Armed Librarians. They considered her a threat not only because she attempted such task, but because she HAD the means to do so. Her will was passed to the Lead golems. I wonder if she is still alive or if at least her will is still alive inside one of the lead golems. I’m starting to believe that she might be the Hero of the series and she shared a past with Hamyuts (seen in the OP).

OLIVIA

Well at least Olivia survived. However what she was trying to remember had nothing to do with the Violet Sinner, that’s bad… Volken died for no reason at all and Olivia was almost killed for no reason at all. Now Olivia became the witch of reminiscence — what does that mean? Maybe she has the power to return the memories to those who lost it??? Maybe. I hope she will appear later on in the series and by the cover of the light novels (http://dash.shueisha.co.jp/-bakudan/) Olivia appears in Vol. 7 — next episode will cover the arc of Vol. 6 and we will see Noloty again. I just love Noloty!!! Some parts of Vol.8 were already shown (i.e. when Hamyuts joins the Armed Librarians). However I’m more excited about Vol. 9 and Vol. 10.

By the way I don’t read Japanese, so I have no idea what the description says.

Finally, allow me to say which arcs I enjoyed the most.

The Colio Tonis arc was one of the best
    This arc was also pretty good, after all our dear Volken made his final exit.

Poor Mirepoc (Mirepokku)!

See you guys next week.

10. Mr. C says:

Forgot to mention….

Since one of the best characters ended up dead (Think of Aragorn dying before becoming king), I’m hoping Noloty will not share the same fate as Volken.

Anyway, it seems that Hamyuts will be around for a long time (she’s still in the cover of Vol. 10), but I hope that she might undergo a horrible death in the end. LOL

11. coyo says:

to watch now or wait til complete to marathon arrah decisions.

12. TJ says:

Ha, so Hamy finally admits that the church and the librarians are in cahoots all along. This series just gets more complicated and interesting at the same time.

13. wakka9ca says:

[SPOILER ALERT]

@Mr. C

Prepare to see everyone die one by one in this series. This series is known for how its characters keep dying. No one is out of death’s reach in this series, not even Hamyuts. I can only assume Mirepoc is safe for now.

14. psgels psgels says:

Um, Wakka. Next time please keep those spoilers a bit in check. There are a lot of us who haven’t read the novels yet.

15. Machi says:

More praise to chime in~ I think the tension last episode was whether they had the guts to kill off Volken, and what Olivia’s secret was that the director wanted to keep. Well they certainly didn’t fail to meet it, Volken was just a shock. I love this show

16. jho says:

@ wakka, DAMN, I didn’t mean to read that. DON’T READ WAKKA’S SPOILER LOL

17. socrates says:

Volken is an anime archetype, a truely pure, and unspoiled defender of justice. An excellent character, in the literary sense, because these characters so full of purity cannot live or survive in reality, they usually get sullied, or are forced to compromise who they are. Volken cannot do that, and this is precisely why this show is brilliant, most animes take this archetype, and continue to overpower them, and we continue to be fed that thier sense of justice is right, true, and it is transformative. In this show, this is not the case, because in reality such purity usually goes insane, and it was best that volken died to retain his purity. Volken and olivia are two sides of the same coin, Olivia, compromises her purity and she is still transformative, but volken, is too pure, I find it fascinating that Olivia is the one that hears the bells, and she is the one shown in the flowing fields of elysia, but our volken is just a book that must be hidden from sight. Again this show is too good, I almost wish it was a movie script but they would probably ruin it.

18. Adam says:

Ironically, Volken is very similar to a True Man. The whole point of them was their specific desires are brought to their fullest. Volken’s desire was justice, which he kept to the end.

I personally thought he was a great character, even though his type typically annoys me. In this setting, he provided a great contrast.

19. Decado says:

Hmmm well Volken was pretty much a pretty stereotypical anime character for justice and the “good guys”… the problem was that he was very much a deluded character in the reality and scenario of the world in bantorra, which is why his death makes such an interesting contrast against both the remaining armed librians and True men.

It strikes me that Volken was still very much wet around the ears with dealings with the real world, and was trying to adapt accordingly to his understood perception of the world… A suitable analogy is if you imagine a new police officer getting his first taste of the corruption and playing of both sides of the law… then you can imagine hes trying to keep to his original principles… so Voken is the deluded new detective and Hamy is the hard-boiled veteran… Remember the film “Training day”? :)

Still looking forward to how the rest of the series pans out, and indeed this is probably one of the better anime series from the last couple of years

20. Bane says:

Funny that you should mention the True Men. For the longest time I thought that Hamy was a True Man (or True Woman I guess), given how she lived her life and because she was chummy with the Church guys. But to think the conspiracy went even beyond that. We’ve seen the whole “good guys create the bad guys” thing before, but in this series it really fits right in.

With the dry spell this season, right now this is basically the only show airing that is worth watching.

21. Machi says:

Odd though, I can stand Noloty and her naivety yet Volken irks me with his. I guess the difference is that Volken preaches while Noloty just does it without being loud about it. I think in the series though Noloty might be the only “pure” character given that Volken did kill in the beginning the mock men.

Now as for the analogy with Hamy being a hard-boiled detective does seem apt in a way but… For some reason I seriously doubt Hamy joined the library for good reasons, or rather was pure in the first place given the flashback with Mattalast. We definitely haven’t seen the entire side of Hamy’s story and I can only assume she’s way more sinister or darker than she appears. I also have a feeling that Violet Sinner isn’t the real “good” guy either. For the reason that she’d have to be just as nuts or selfish to actually decide to be a True Man, that and considering the OP it seems she and Hamy knew each other and by association I don’t think she’s any good either.

Afterall, Hamy certainly acts fluffy and tries to look fluffy (sewing bunny rabbits onto her blouse) but thats only on the outside. Inside we know her as this masochistic blood thirsty fatalist. So I wouldn’t be shocked in Violet Sinner despite her preaching of love and her fluffy look isn’t any worse than Hamy.

22. ZhengGon says:

Hamy rocks!! i hope she doesn’t die. its not that often i get to see a lead character that is pure badass and Hamy just rocks. hah

and to Volken dying, i say good riddance.

23. Hunter-Wolf says:

I “marathoned” the series in about 3 days and finally caught up .. sigh .. it is indeed one awesome ride .. can’t wait to see what happens next .. i can say if this series can pull an ending as strong as what we have already seen then it indeed is going to be a classic.

——————————————–

Now time for a little bit of analysis (all of it is my personal opinion and based on some observations and deduction)

-Bantorra … the supposed god-of-past in the world of the series …. my guess is that he/she/it is the tree we all saw at -probably- the lowest level in the library .. if not the tree itself Bantorra could be sealed in it.

Another possibility … we all remember the “book eater” villain who was taken over by Enlike in the “Monster” arc … when he ate people’s books they ended up locked in a dimension inside him and aware of their whereabouts .. so what about the books “eaten” by the tree .. do the they exist in a dimension inside the tree much like the book eater guy case … wouldn’t that explain the part of “turn into a book and go to heaven” repeated by True Men … so according to them you must make your life interesting and have a strong desire to be a candidate of being eaten by the Tree which in turn equals going to heaven .. which leads me to think ((The Tree = Heaven)) in the series and people with worthy books are eaten by it and live inside it in a separate dimension (which can explain Hamy’s desire to die and also the desire of her to make her life one-hell-of-a-book) … it could even be (Bantorra=Heaven=The Tree) … but not sure about this last one.

——————————

-Towitorra … mentioned in the beginning of ep2 … the god-of-present .. kinda surprising that Bantorra gets so much attention and the supposed deity of present life never gets mentioned again or play any role at the big events unfolding … i’m pretty sure it should play a larger role in the scheme of things … but who might it be .. and what kind of relation does it have with Bantorra .. can’t quite grasp that yet.

————————-

-Orntorra … this one is like Towitorra … mentioned in the beginning of ep2 … the god-of-future … seems to me that it can be related to the storm presditcion in Colio’s arc .. who else can presdict that a storm that never changed it’s path in 100 years would suddenly change course …. but who might it be or why would it help the churh of drwoning in god’s grace … i can’t tell.

Both were also mentioned later as having left earth to Bantorra and gone elsewhere .. but given how much lies are there i highly doubt it.

—————————-

-The Church of Drowning in God’s Grace … quite a catchy name .. isn’t it … but we never asked … which God of the three in the story .. Bantorra or Towitorra or Orntorra .. it might seem at first that it is Bantorra since the church members are obsessed about books (and as we know now the church was created by the armed Librarians) .. but what if that’s not the case .. what if it was Towitorra or Orntorra … and like i said above .. they did mention they left earth .. but given how much lies are around in the world i highly doubt that.

Also .. i think that even though the Church was created by the Armed Librarians they are currently not on real good terms .. maybe they are having some sort of cold awkward hidden war
    behind the scenes of their secret co-op relation which is in turn covered by the all-out-war that public know about … talk about complex XD

———————–

-Lascal Othello … simply put .. it was mentioned by the girl version .. that she is the incarnation of Yor (the dagger that extracts books) .. there is still so much mystery regarding the Weapon Yor … but i’m quite sure now that (Lascal Othello=Yor in human form) .. basically its a weapon with a mind of its own .. but the biggest question .. to me it seems that Yor is really the only way to extract books from dead bodies and all the talk about people turning into books is non-sense and lies (making Yor the Grim-reaper of Bantorra)

———————–

-Fhotona .. what happened to him !!? .. did he vansih/quit or was he killed .. where is his book (eaten by the tree maybe) .. was it Hamy that killed him (why/how) … lots of question still surround how the director position moved from Fhotona to Hamy … and now that i think of it … if the armed librarians select the governor of heaven (the head of the church) .. then who selects the next director to the librarians .. Bantorra !!?

——————————–

Ireia … what happened to her .. was she killed by Mokkania or what (along with the solids-diver guy) … i know the series doesn’t hold back when it comes to killing off characters but i felt like she just disappeared from the series … we didn’t even get to know her that well or what role did she play in the big scheme of things.

————————————-

Can’t wait to find the answers for the above questions and learn about the past of the “Violet Sinner” and the fates of all the characters left (hopefully they won’t be all killed off by Hamy).

Actually Volgen’s death was quite tragic but fitting at the same time … it pained me to see him die like that but “living in a big lie” or “living after knowing that the Armed Librarians honor thing he his entire life for is a very big lie” is much worse .. either way he will be missed for the rest of the series (now i worry about Notoly and Mirepoc .. it will feel really awful if they meet the same fate).

Seriously .. whenever i see Hamy readying her sling thing i can’t help feel something bad/awful/cruel will happen .. but still i can’t help liking her crazy wild personality .. it’s one of those Love/Hate relations XD

———————————

Finally i have to say great work psgels blogging this series and bringing our attention to it .. keep it up.

Customize
yeah, she's checking her pulse while completely in control of the situation. Such badass. I wonder with the stakes so impossibly high how could they resolve all this? Not to mention they have other shits to face after escaping that orphanage. Good read. I love the three mains so far as well.
@Mario, Yep. I actually didn't get into it until the end of the first chapter and then it's just got my full attention. Up to date and so far it hasn't let me down. Miss Mom is pretty damn unnerving. That one point near the beginning where she just holds the main girls head and stares at her like shes examining an object would scare the hell out of me if I was her.
This The Promised Neverland manga is awesome. I'm at chap 4 right now and it just getting better and better
Currently looking forward to Flip Flappers, Keijo and To Be Hero. Needa catch up on Girlish Number and Drifters but haven't had the time.
Oh, and that Zaragoto OVA which I think not a lot of people care to watch, at least not right now.
Now I consider catching up a part of this job haha
I'm more of a slice of life guy so my watch for this season are: natsume, Yuri on ice, girlish number, drifters, Fune wo amu, Saiki and I'm behind on Keijo, Magical Girl raising project, occultic;nine, buranki, Bungo stray dogs. Have a lot to catch up it seems
This season im watching Yuri, Drifters, and Flip Flappers. When I get the time I also try to watch some Bakumon
Besides what I am blogging, I am also watching Jojo, Flip Flappers, Girlish number and Keijo.
I guess you want to know what everyone's watching in the current season?
This is a mess
So the what out there y'all
And so number one out there
And some new anime
So what's new anime y'all seen
That's what. I think
@Anon530022, I am not going to deny being arrogant. That's just my nature. But you are going to have to explain how wanting a show to have a genuine gay romance is homophobic? Kinda missing the logical steps on that jump. Anyway you being gay is irrelevant as I have a bisexual friend who says the romance isn't realistic in the slightest.
real interaction which makes everything feel fake. (sorry about the test walls)
I love basically any sports/romance anime so Yuri should be straight up my alley, but instead it just fails at both, mainly the sports part since it does try to focus on fanservice of the relationship between Victor and Yuri. I don't feel like the relationship between the two of them is real whether it's romantic or not. They keep having characters voice their thoughts about each other but no
Hi random long-time psgels reader, personally I think Yuri on Ice has kind of lost on trying to be a real romance and a real sports anime. It's characters are pretty weak and combing from someone that actually reads BL manga, I agree that their overt level of fanservice like focusing on the two of their lips and the rings, etc doesn't match their level of outright talking about shit.
I like a good dickin
tl;dr, chill its an anime.
Age gap isnt that big, and its not homophobic or arrogant to say a show isnt selling an aspect of itself well in his opinion. Lastly, romance for every person is different, so dont expect him to share your experiences/views on it.
Also, how Viktor's choice to become Yuuri's coach might have been initiated by not just Yuuri's skating, but Yuuri himself.
@Mario: I agree on the strip dance. Like, holy crap. But overall, I really like how episode 10 reframed the series from Viktor's perspective. Like, at first the whole commemorative photo thing made him seem like a jerk, but now we get to see that he had actually had a great time with Yuuri and was probably being genuine about it...
What happened to angry german kid
You just want them to identify themselves. You feel as if it's your right to know that they are gay. Well it isn't. It is their life, their story. You are being homophobic. You are being close minded. You are being arrogant. You are, indeed, very arrogant.
It is a mixture of admiration and lust and because it is hard to distinguish between the two it is difficult to express your feelings directly or even admit it to yourself.
As a gay man I attest that this is how romance works, ESPECIALLY when there is an age and experience gap.
This shows romance is actually reaistic, but you are still rejecting it. Yuri literally said he had found love. He said neither way who it's directed towards yet you are SO INSISTENT that it is towards skating. in the episode Victor even expressed admiration to Yuri's own dispositions beyond skating. He clearly was 'watching' him.
If they planned to take such a hands off approach to romance then it would be better if they just focused on the skating. But well then the fujoshi's wouldn't be buying the Blu-rays now would they?
I can understand that, thats a problem I have with alot of modern romance's. Im just not seeing the backing off that happens in those romances. They just seem to raise it more and more in Yuri, without ever crossing the line, rather than toeing it then backing off.
@Lenlo, To me I find it aggravating. They go so far to portray them as gay yet when it comes to the final say they keep backing off. Hey I want to be more that friends...just kidding! Hey I love you...just kidding! Hey lets get married...just kidding! It like how harems constantly tease the main getting together with each girl when by shows end you know he's not going to get with anyone.
@lenl: agree. I'm still enjoying the hell of the show. A bit out of the blues thou when it comes to the strip dance (they shoulve planted that before), but it's a joy to watch every week
Eh. As I said, I think its above bait below romance. Either way im enjoying it and thats the important part.
For me they're just too much at the moments but unless they confirm it, nothing changes.
Y'know I kind of wish Rorico would just come out and directly say he feels too old for most anime, its not really surprising a man in his 60s would be so cranky when it comes to this stuff.
@lenlo: I think it's more about statements. Yes, we understand the context of rings and engagements but unless they confirm it, nothing set in stones. And "hinting" is what they love to do, you can see just by the 2 shows I've coverage myself: Sound Eupho (Reina & Kumiko), Flip Flappers (Papika & Cocona) and people saying those same underlining context things.
I think its beyond baiting, below full blown romance at this point myself.
Does a show have to confirm and say "They kissed" to make it true? Seems along the same lines as "Fade to black" for sex. Then theres the ED which also made the start of the show much more interesting, as with this ED not its Victor that was jilted at the airport, when Yuri ran away.
See, I dont understand why they have to come out and say "We are gay" for you to accept its an actual romance. I dont see how this is baiting anymore either, as the rings and the "Engagement" seem pretty clear to me. Also, without knowing the current climate on the matter in Japan, this could be the clearest they are allowed to make it, while still fully intending for it to be a real romance.
@Anon1, Agreed. I said before that I would like to be proven wrong on this but this series doesn't seem to have done that yet. I really will admit I am wrong to Anon2 if it does provide proof but it would need to be far more substantial than this.
@Anon2, Girl, boy, whatever.
I'm not a girl.
Even that is just grasping at straws though, haha.
@Aidan: I think the only thing from that scene that hints at actual romance would be where Viktor says something along the lines of a lot of other people got their L words from Yuuri, which he had earlier stated are "Love" and "Life." Honestly, even this is pushing it though, but the fact that he said it like that suggests that both he and Yuri got "those words" from Yuuri.
Way I saw that scene was the guy saying "Fuck you, you think Yuri is so great. Well I am gonna be better than Yuri. Just you wait and see" and then Victor remarking on how Yuri awoke his competitive spirit. Aka his love for Skating.
@Kaiser: Although I like both, I always prefer impressionism better. Expressionism for me tend to be a bit overwhelming and a bit subjectively. But mind you Flip Flappers still has moments of Expressionist as well (Episode 6: Irochan's parents)
@Anon, I got the context you saw fine. About him getting mad over the "Good luck charm". You are being baited girl, hook, line and sinker.
You are missing context. You don't know anything. You don't even know why Yuri was mad do you? Why the fuck would he be mad about loving skating.
@Mario: I bring up the impressionism vs expressionism thing because I feel that the impressionistic aspects of say a Tarkovsky film, Malick film and flippflappers feel superior to me over expressionistic style because its more emotionally satisfying while ALSO being athmospheric, Whereas expressinistic visuals are ONLY atmospheric.
@Mario: Flippflappers has now reached a level where I feel the impressionism has gone beyond simply visual immersive in a way that makes us part of its world and has become more emotional.
@Mario: You mention impressionism in your review of flipflappers, in general do you feel on a visual level you respond more strongly to expressionism or impressionism?
I watched the whole thing so I know that in this episode, except the time they're giving rings to each other (in the name of "good luck charm") and Victor somewhat pump Yuri up for the Gold medal by Not Denying it; they still haven't admitted anything.
Perhaps I am not the one who is in denial.
Oh I think I see it now. Yeah this is nothing mate. The conversation was about skating from begining to end and Victor mentioned that he wasn't the only one to get his "L words" from Yuri. Pretty clear he means how Yuri helped Yurio awaken a love for Skating. Romantic love doesn't really make sense within the context. But yeah, they admitted nothing.
Quite frankly if they don't have the balls to admit they are gay by this point they are just not going to.
Time stamp means the point in the episode he actually said it. Like 18 minutes 20 seconds in or something. You should be able to get one. But maybe you can't find it either. Only thing I found Was about yuri teaching victor through his life and love but that's ambiguous enough to refer to his love for skating.
Don't have time stamp
Episode is narrated by Victor
At the end Victor admits he's in love and mentions the other person is also
@Anon, Can you give me the timestamp on the episode? Scanning through it I don't see anything that suggests that.
Not joked
They admitted
No those were both me it's just the chat doesn't show it immediately so I posted again
@Masky, He's denied it before but it's pretty obvious he's trying to make it seem like someone's agreeing with him.
@Anon, admitted or joked?
So wait, is that same anon repeating himself or two different anons where second one copy pasted part of first one's post
They literally admitted a love triangle between the three main characters. You're in denial.
Are you kidding? This episode they outright admitted a love triangle between the three main characters. You're in denial.
I actually was going to admit that I was wrong when I heard about the "Kiss" and gladly do so. But when I watched the scene in question it's clear what I said is still correct. They will dance around it, sure. But never outright confirm it.
@Anon, discussed this before when the "Kiss" happened. Despite the series hinting it, and hinting it hard, it still hasn't outright confirmed it. While I am sure it is head canon to the watchers, the series itself is just queer baiting.
Okay... Just watched this week's Yuri on Ice. Haha things got weird again... and they so nailed Barcelona here, I recognized most of the places.
@anon527634: actually about that, I am a bit let down that after that "supposed kiss" in episode 7, no one in the series mentioned it again. Just like that "kiss" never happened.
So when is Aidan going to publicly admit he was wrong about the Yuri romance?
I loved the special ED so much.
Alright... Yuri this week was interesting in so many ways.
I'm also planning to catch BBK/BRK before the year end soon. I'm also find that series entertaining despite its obvious flaws
But come to think of it, I do know what its like to enjoy something admittedly flawed, the first season of utawerumono was like that for me, I have nothing but criticism of it in all aspects but yet ended up being one of those things I somehow enjoyed watching.
Ah, only flippflappers, natsume, drifters on my end.
I wonder if anyone here is still watching Bubuki Buranki? It's weird but despite how deeply flawed it is I find it fairly enjoyable. Though that fantastic soundtrack certainly helps.
@Anon, Oh they announced a Sonic movie too. Apparently it's a mix of live action and animation.
I am suprised SEGA didn't announce an Sonic movie and went with games like Altered Beast and Crazy Taxi, they probably could have just ripped off one story from the Archie Sonic comics and make an movie based on that, preferably the story where Sonic travels in the multiverse to fight an super powerful Sigma alongside Classic Megaman and Megaman X,Steet Fighter cast,Breath of Fire 3 cast and more
@Anon, A parody Grindhouse film actually could work. I consider Overkill the best of House of the dead. Thing is there actually is already a house of the dead movie so this would be their second attempt. The first attempt...lets just say it didn't work out.
And House Of The Dead: Overkill is probably the best game in the franchise to adapt, i mean, it has Isaac Washington in it and dude's awesome.
None of those games have much of a story, but at least House Of The Dead could make for an entertaining silly movie, i mean House Of The Dead: Overkill is freaking awesome and has silly cutscenes at the start and end of every level.
At most moonbeam city seems sylistically interesting.
Archer I simply lost track of and it ended up getting to long to catch up on it.
Relatively old news, although I've been joking with friends about what if scenarios for a streets of rage film. I know there is a cg/live action hybrid sonic film in the works. I kind of want to think a shinobi or streets of rage film could work if they went full on 70s style action film.
None of these games are played for the story. You would be better off just making a new game for them instead of a movie.
I haven't even seen Archer. On another note SEGA is planning a bunch of live action movies of their franchises and boy do they all sound like a horrible idea. Shinobi, Golden Axe, Virtua Fighter, The House of the Dead, Crazy Taxi, Streets of rage and Altered Beast.
@Anon522497: hmm, I found Moonbeam City underwhelmed and for Archer up until their last season I actually got a bit tired of the cast (couldn't finish that season 7)
If i wanted Archer i would just watch Archer or Moonbeam City like everyone else.
Bloodivores
Anyone here watching Pacific Heat? It's an Aussie Archer-ripoff aired in Netflix last week. I actually enjoyed the 1st episode, not that great but everyone panned it like a plague.
@Anon, Who?
#StephanieJaworowiczIsBeautiful
@Mario: That'd be the compiliation film. I watched that based on hearing that the film version trimmed back on the shows weaker moments.
@Kaiser: was it the compilation film or the series itself? That scene is the highlight of that first season. I'm always a fan of KyoAni so it's very natural that I enjoy this series a whole lot.
I watched the first season of sound euphonium, not much to say for it other than I liked the teacher guy and the scene where the black haired girl tells the main character that she thinks shes hiding behind a mask. Animation was as expected of kyoani good. All of those emotion shots though and some of the melodrama...
@Kaiser, it does stop if you make an account.
Hmmm there we go again, it delayed sending my message for longer than it should have.
Anyone notice today and last night that the site has had some loading issues? I kept getting an error page for a while and it was also loading a bit more slowly. A server issue?
Have to say, Flip Flappers ep 5 was pretty good. I love atmospheric settings like that.
Looks like an Epee. The large bell guard, the fact that they are focusing on thrusting attacks instead of slashing (mostly). Fencing is alot of fun. Be prepared for some bruises though, as some people put their full body weight behind their thrusts.
I have one last dumb question, Can you tell what types of blade of Juri in Utena? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGsVSSUv_i0
@Lenlo: the more you described the more I found fencing interesting. I might take a look around my town to see if we have Fencing here (the curse of living in a small town).
Blades are slightly different, yes, but mostly just in their guard and how much they bend. Sabers bend easily, Epee's not so much. Surprisingly Epee is the slowest, because people tend to be more careful. Saber is actually the most aggressive of the blades, atleast at my skill level
That's all they had to do. Just stay inside and let it pass. But for some weird reason they just keep panicking over nothing.
As far as time/alternate world stuff goes this was ridiculously underwhelming. Just finished another movie called triangle and now that's how you do Time travel mindfuckery.
@Mario, I am not fond of movies where people make stupid decisions for no good reason. For example:
"We should just stay inside"
"No, staying inside isn't realistic"
WHY IN THE HOLY HELL ISN'T IT REALISTIC.
Showed that movie to a bunch of friends last year and I remembered one of the girl just shut off the movie after 15'
@Aidan: too bad. I found Cohenrent really funny and entertaining. Some of their twists are stupid but I was actually invested in much of their characters. Maybe because I always love movies about a bunch of characters in an isolated setting
@Lenlo: sounds like Epee is the most "all-out-attack" and aggressive one. Their blades are different as well I assume?
Just watched a movie called coherence and man, what a bunch a pseudo-intellectual garbage that was.
For Right of Way, its basically Person A attacks, Person B parries, Person A hits, Person B hits, Person B gets the point because they took right of way with the parry. Saber and Foil both have that, but Epee does not. Epee is simply "Whoever hits the opponent first, doesnt matter where, whole body is target area"
Theres Saber, Foil and Epee. The main difference is this thing called right of way, but there are other smaller ones like how Saber can hit with the edge and Epee is allowed to hit the entire body, instead of just the chest like Foil
For news, Blood Blockade Battlefront getting second season next year. As it was one of my favorite last year I'm really lokking forward to this second season
@Lenlo: that sounds great. From what I know from fencing there are 3 different types of blade right? So what are the differences between them? (Fencing 101 here)
Although a fantasy sports thing could also generate interest, such as combining sports together to create something totally new.
@SuperMario, Fencing was great. Favorite sport ever and it helped me stay in shape in College. I find Epee to be the best blade, mostly cause I fenced it, but its a very intense 3 minutes. Unlike sports like Soccer and such which is alot of sustained running, Fencing is 3 minutes of Dont-Stop-Moving then wait till next match. Gets really fun once you figure out your own style.
haha, I wouldn't mind either if each episode focus on a single sport/ character/ country. Or even the positive aspects like role models, sports inspirations and stuffs
That Olympic anime sounds great.
And it would be a good excuse to have characters of multiple backgrounds included too.
Could be an 13 episode ova series with 48 minute episodes, and if its to be an ensemble character drama you could have 10 minutes to a each character (the ones being focused on in that episode) in each episode.
Ah yes, aswell as cheating it could also get into "stage parenting", "abuse", "Disabilities" and also the general politics of sports, the backroom stuff.
I'll be the first in line if that olympic anime ever come out. Could be interesting to see the interactions between athletes in different sports, and then fans/athletes/coaches relationship, then the gold rush, doping... So much to talk around to
I don't think theres ever been a manga about hurling either. Hey heres an idea, someone do an ensemble drama anime that deals with the olympics, fit in multiple sports that way.
Personally I find Australian football much more exciting than rugby. Or crickets.
@Kaiser: ha! Interesting that you mentioned Gaelic football, because in Aus we have AFL (Australian Football League), that really similars to Gealic Football to the point sometimes we have the 2 national teams compete each other with modified rules
Hmm, lets see, sport under-represented in anime? Fencing, golf , Gaelic football, bowling, boat racing.
Hey, fencing is actually really cool. How did you like it Lenlo?
You have your point there Topgavin, as I clearly remember many instances where players' legs, backs or even necks got snapped during rugby's tackles. But in regards to Rugby I never really care about it. That and car racing
Its mostly the type of injuries you get that differ I think. Football you get concussions and broken bones and such, while in Rugby you probably get alot of bruises and cuts. Granted I have played neither, I was a Soccer man in highschool and fencing in College
American football has alot of rules, and really is just a bunch of millionaires running around chasing a ball. Rugby however, as Topgavin said, has no pads so when you get hit you get hit HARD
I never ceases to surprise me just how high and mighty visual novel fans can be over Mosaics present in localized games. I mean they are literally complaining about not seeing genitalia yet the way they phrase it, it's like they are fighting against great injustice. If these VNs were Nukige they might have a point but in most cases the sex scenes in question are pointless and shoehorned in.
@Mario Rugby is more extreme *because* it has no protective gear. No hiding behind helmets and cushioned shoulder pads when ya get bowled over.
@Lenlo: I'm no expert but isn't American football a variation of Rugby? And I believe american football is more extreme, considering they have to wear helmets, protection gears and all that
I dont think theres alot of manga about it because its simply not that popular outside the US. As far as it being a battlefield, eeeeh? Not really? You want a battlefield watch Rugby.
I can think of other cool sports that could be interesting to see in anime: Kick Volleyball (Sepak takraw), Bossaball (combined soccer, volleyball in a trampoline), or in the same vein of skate figures this season, why not pole dancing competition???
What other sport is cool and popular that remains original to write about by now? There isn't a lot of manga about it compared to anything else.
American football looks like a battlefield with a visible battleline and everything. Id like it if there wasnt so many darn commercials.
I mean, its a sport. Far cry from best, but its definitely a sport.
@Vonter: or maybe because american football IS the best sports ever?
@Vonter: Most likely due to the middle section of the original anime being the most popular bit.
Can someone explain me how Cobra, is apparently getting an anime around some sort of space american football? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54kNWPr43zE
@Mario: Its not safe enough a film for me to properly recommend. Even to exploitation fans, they might find it too slow others would be too sensitive to it. Really una vita violenca, mamma roma, accatone, hawks and sparrows are what Pasolini is really about.
Now that you watched Salo, would you recommend the film to other people? I personally think it's a masterpiece but it's one of the title that I think people would break up with me if I show them this movie
@Kaiser: even him as a director, both Braveheart and Apocalypto don't do much to me, will see if Hacksaw Ridge going to change my mind (but I'm not to fond with war movies in general). La Notte is in my sooon-to-watch list for years, haha
@Mario: Mel Gibson as a director, not as an actor =)
@Mario: Thats why I prefer the neo-realist/quasi-neo-realism stuff as it deals with the worse off in society. But Antonioni was the master of being able to do films about angsty well-off people, L'aventura, the passenger and La notte for example

Flip Flappers – 10 [Pure Jitter]

So her whole life is a lie, huh? Now that she realizes Yayaka’s friendship as a fake, Cocona’s partnership as a substitute, Flip Flapp organization downright used her for their gains, obaa-chan even betrayed her; Cocona is on a verge of complete breakdown, but who would’ve thought she transforms into the-other-dark-magical-girl-show level of insanity? Struck […]

Sound! Euphonium 2 – 10 [After-School Obbligato]

This season surely gives us too much of Kumiko-cuteness versions. After the fluffy little Kumiko last few weeks, the bedridden sore throat Kumiko, the surprisingly “always listening – always understanding” (such a pretentious slogan) Kumiko last week, what shades pf Kumiko is in store for us this week? Of course it’s an emo teary-eyes Kumiko. […]

Occultic;Nine – 09[Future Days]

The presentation of Occultic;Nine is starting to remind me of speed Racer, an anime from a bygone era which had a rather infamous dub. Basically due to the literal translation, the way which Japanese can say more with less words and the speed of dialogue it required the dub actors to say a large amount […]

Magical Girl Raising Project – 10[Super-Hot! Back-to-Back Battle Events!]

I am really starting to dislike how this show is killing off the characters I grow remotely interested in while leaving only the dullest characters to carry the show. Don’t take that to mean I cared about the remaining twin angel that got killed off because her death was pretty deserved. But this cements the […]

Drifters – 09[Serious Bomber]

Drifters is at it’s best when the Orte are getting trounced and they are certainly getting a beating here. I could complain over how the Orte are one dimensional villains but after the master race bull and the concentration camp here they are quite literally Nazi’s at this point. Nazi’s are the one type of […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 08 [Image – Distant Thunder part 1]

We’re back with 3-gatsu no Lion after a week hiatus from sick leave (I know everyone got sick last week, be it in springtime in this corner of the world, or the start of winter elsewhere) and I’m glad that the show returns in good form. Kyouko might be the most distinctive character the show […]

Flip Flappers – 09 [Pure Mute]

Again this week, Yayaka takes up the stage and by the end of this episode her arc is basically over, now that she is abandoned by the Cult and is taken over by Cocona and Papika. But what an emotional ride this episode delivers. I’m particularly taken not only by the action and consequence she […]

Occultic;Nine – 07-08[Happiness is a Warm Gun]

By episode sevens end it did confirm that indeed, the majority of the cast is dead which brings up a whole host of problems. For you see while this twist may seem like a interesting left turn, it only really works if you consider the time a character is shown on screen the only time […]

Sound! Euphonium 2 – 09 [Sound! Euphonium]

Two-third of this Fall season have passed and usually this is the time for our shows to reach to their full potential. Sound Eupho, comfortably delivers one of its best episode of this second season. As you can probably tell by the self-titled nature of this episode, our Eupho players are given as the centerpiece […]

Strange Frame – Love & Sax (2012) Movie Review – 76/100

Thunderbolt Fantasy Review – 84/100

orange Review – 73/100

What would you do if you receive letters from your future-self saying that you can change your future? That’s exactly what Naho experienced as she obtains ones from herself 10 years later that urge her to look after her new friend and prevent him from committing suicide. The premise, I agree, is hardly anything groundbreaking, […]

91 Days Review – 68/100

When taking up the job of checking out every anime season you really can starve for something different. Variety is the spice of life and yet the entertainment industry seems determined to give us more of the same. So in the sea of average high school students gaining superpowers and harems I see an anime […]

Mob Psycho 100 Review – 80/100

After the explosive popularity of One Punch Man it really was a high bar that another work of the author ONE had to reach. While it didn’t quite manage that it still differentiated itself enough to allow it to be a worthy anime of it’s own right. But admittedly that will depend on whether this […]

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World Review – 91/100