Posted by psgels on 6 February 2010 with categories: Armed Librarians - The Book of Bantorra

Holy crap, you people weren’t kidding about this episode! This series just continues to get better and better. What an incredibly creative script, this series really takes no conventions for granted.

Oh, remmember the first few episodes of this series, in which Volken was nothing but an average lead character with a strong sense of justice. Seriously, I never expected that someone as Olivia Litlet would get more screen-time than he did. The way that this series plays around with our expectations and turns them into something unpredictable is just unbelievable.

So yeah: Volken died. The creators actually had the GUTS to kill him off. And yet Olivia still lives at the end of this episode. This episode did such a great job of developing the two of them. Volken on one hand seeing his beliefs destroyed when he found out that his mentor was not the upholder of justice he believed him to be, while Olivia as a strong woman searched for the passion that she once lost. It’s that passion and perseverance of her that really allowed her to live as a meat. Colio had already shown that it was possible, and she just took it a small step further. The whole ritual? She was trying the entire time to get her memories of Vend Ruga back. As someone who took care of her when she was a child and before the church got her.

Also, we’ve been expecting this for quite a while now, but Hamyuts finally confirmed it: the Church and the Armed Librarians aren’t at war at all. They just pretend to be. Heck, the Church was even created by the Armed Librarians. My guess is that they were intended to take care of all of the dirty work, probably for that damn tree or something. My guess is that it feeds on exciting books. That would be quite the irony: that the Armed Librarians and the Church just exist in order to provide nice books.

It’s also interesting: all this time it turned out that Hamyuts Meseta followed after a red herring, and basically sank a ship for nothing, just because Olivia wanted to scrabble her feelings on the wall. However, for her to go through such lengths. I really believe that we’ve found our major villain of this series. Or rather: the major good guy, since we’ve now pretty much confirmed that the Armed Librarians are the bad guys.
Rating: *** (Awesome)

1. Alec says:

to me, this anime is on of the best this season

my favourite ep so far… Volken stayed pure and innocent till the end…

2. Kessler says:

In the comments for the 17 episode, Machi described Volken as plain naive, attacking Hamy for unimportant reasons and that he’d never agree with the relations between Librarians and the Church. He also noted that Olivia was much more interesting character, and how she got little screen time.

And in this episode Hamy said basically the same things to the Volken’s face. And Olvia turned out to be much more important, getting more screen time.

I think the show did manage to make Volken more interesting (or at least playing his part in the story perfectly) in a very unexpected way.

3. Ghostfriendly says:

The junior librarians aren’t really villains; Hamy and Matt are pretty nasty, but might have reasons that haven’t been revealed, like preventing the destruction of the world by whatever they’re sending those books to.

Really teared up when the Meats got their feelings back, Librarians ringing the bell for Volken was sweet too.

4. J Reyes says:

Man I’m glad that green haired jackass is dead. Characters like him are everywhere and his presence will not be missed.

5. reverse says:

seeing Volken beliefs got crush by Hamyuts Meseta. its just sad and awesome.

6. Shelz says:

Volken was a really good character to call him a jackass is going out there. He had an amazing sense of justice and to break off from the only family he had, due to the path that the head was making takes guts in my eyes. He had a great story and I think the author gave him a good ending.

7. jho says:

I can’t take anything for granted with this series. Series like this is rare. Going to enjoy this awesome ride all the way to the end.

8. Mikhail says:

I really hate Hamyuts, Volken for me was the best character because of his morals and justice, seeing him die like that was really sad. I wish he would have killed Hamyuts, or I at least wish Hamyuts dies soon. I like all the characters in this anime except her.

• cras says:

Oh man I have to completely disagree with you. It’s refreshing to see the good guy dying for what he believes in, instead of living a life of ignorance and naivety; like most shows allow their main characters to do.

And what?! you want Hamyuts to die, haha well, I’m sure she would like that too.

Whenever I see Hamyuts on screen I get damn excited, you have no idea what she’s going to do, and everything she says is straightforward and to the point. She’s smart, cunning, and damn ruthless to anyone who stands between her and her goals. She is by far my favorite character in this series.

9. Mr. C says:

VOLKEN

My prediction (see comments on ep.18) turned out to be correct. Hamyuts really killed Volken.
    What a sad ending for Volken (it reminds me of John Locke dying in Lost)! His pursuit was in vain, everything he believed turned out to be a lie. Nonetheless, he took pride in dying on the right side of the battle. His beliefs cost him his life.
    In a way, he was able to die a good and honorable death, he was valiant in life and even though his beliefs crumbled around him, his life was blemish-less. Before dying, his last words were that he lost everything, but that is not altogether true. His sense of justice remained even when all the justice around him was nothing more than a falsehood. He died not as an Armed Librarian, but as a True Armed Librarian ought to have been. I believe his book will be important for the plot of the story.

ARMED LIBRARIANS VS CHURCH

My prediction was almost right! So the Church was created by the Armed Librarians, it makes sense, since Fothona was trying to remove the Guardian of Paradise from his post. One thing remains to be solved then. Who knows the relationship between the Church and the Armed Librarians besides the Acting Director? Matt seems to know. Those two siblings dressed up in winter clothes seem to know it too.

LASCALL OTHELLO

Ok, so Lascall is not human and is an independent existence from the Church and the Armed Librarians. He’s not be be pursued, because he (I’m using he even though he appears as a girl now) is one of the mysteries regarding the truth about this world. The other mystery is…

HEAVEN

I’m starting to believe that heaven might be that Tree or someone else, and not a place. Books are taken to Heaven. Maybe that person glowing as the moonshine in the OP is Heaven…

WHO ARE THE GOOD GUYS?

Hard question. Certainly not the Armed Librarians. I mean, can we call someone who bombs an entire ship, killing a lot of people “good”?

THE VIOLET SINNER

Now, Vend Ruga seemed a very good character, maybe he was on the right side. More enigmatic still is the person known as the Violet Sinner. Who is she? She was attempting to destroy Heaven, and this brought the attention of the Church and the Armed Librarians. They considered her a threat not only because she attempted such task, but because she HAD the means to do so. Her will was passed to the Lead golems. I wonder if she is still alive or if at least her will is still alive inside one of the lead golems. I’m starting to believe that she might be the Hero of the series and she shared a past with Hamyuts (seen in the OP).

OLIVIA

Well at least Olivia survived. However what she was trying to remember had nothing to do with the Violet Sinner, that’s bad… Volken died for no reason at all and Olivia was almost killed for no reason at all. Now Olivia became the witch of reminiscence — what does that mean? Maybe she has the power to return the memories to those who lost it??? Maybe. I hope she will appear later on in the series and by the cover of the light novels (http://dash.shueisha.co.jp/-bakudan/) Olivia appears in Vol. 7 — next episode will cover the arc of Vol. 6 and we will see Noloty again. I just love Noloty!!! Some parts of Vol.8 were already shown (i.e. when Hamyuts joins the Armed Librarians). However I’m more excited about Vol. 9 and Vol. 10.

By the way I don’t read Japanese, so I have no idea what the description says.

Finally, allow me to say which arcs I enjoyed the most.

The Colio Tonis arc was one of the best
    This arc was also pretty good, after all our dear Volken made his final exit.

Poor Mirepoc (Mirepokku)!

See you guys next week.

10. Mr. C says:

Forgot to mention….

Since one of the best characters ended up dead (Think of Aragorn dying before becoming king), I’m hoping Noloty will not share the same fate as Volken.

Anyway, it seems that Hamyuts will be around for a long time (she’s still in the cover of Vol. 10), but I hope that she might undergo a horrible death in the end. LOL

11. coyo says:

to watch now or wait til complete to marathon arrah decisions.

12. TJ says:

Ha, so Hamy finally admits that the church and the librarians are in cahoots all along. This series just gets more complicated and interesting at the same time.

13. wakka9ca says:

[SPOILER ALERT]

@Mr. C

Prepare to see everyone die one by one in this series. This series is known for how its characters keep dying. No one is out of death’s reach in this series, not even Hamyuts. I can only assume Mirepoc is safe for now.

14. psgels psgels says:

Um, Wakka. Next time please keep those spoilers a bit in check. There are a lot of us who haven’t read the novels yet.

15. Machi says:

More praise to chime in~ I think the tension last episode was whether they had the guts to kill off Volken, and what Olivia’s secret was that the director wanted to keep. Well they certainly didn’t fail to meet it, Volken was just a shock. I love this show

16. jho says:

@ wakka, DAMN, I didn’t mean to read that. DON’T READ WAKKA’S SPOILER LOL

17. socrates says:

Volken is an anime archetype, a truely pure, and unspoiled defender of justice. An excellent character, in the literary sense, because these characters so full of purity cannot live or survive in reality, they usually get sullied, or are forced to compromise who they are. Volken cannot do that, and this is precisely why this show is brilliant, most animes take this archetype, and continue to overpower them, and we continue to be fed that thier sense of justice is right, true, and it is transformative. In this show, this is not the case, because in reality such purity usually goes insane, and it was best that volken died to retain his purity. Volken and olivia are two sides of the same coin, Olivia, compromises her purity and she is still transformative, but volken, is too pure, I find it fascinating that Olivia is the one that hears the bells, and she is the one shown in the flowing fields of elysia, but our volken is just a book that must be hidden from sight. Again this show is too good, I almost wish it was a movie script but they would probably ruin it.

18. Adam says:

Ironically, Volken is very similar to a True Man. The whole point of them was their specific desires are brought to their fullest. Volken’s desire was justice, which he kept to the end.

I personally thought he was a great character, even though his type typically annoys me. In this setting, he provided a great contrast.

19. Decado says:

Hmmm well Volken was pretty much a pretty stereotypical anime character for justice and the “good guys”… the problem was that he was very much a deluded character in the reality and scenario of the world in bantorra, which is why his death makes such an interesting contrast against both the remaining armed librians and True men.

It strikes me that Volken was still very much wet around the ears with dealings with the real world, and was trying to adapt accordingly to his understood perception of the world… A suitable analogy is if you imagine a new police officer getting his first taste of the corruption and playing of both sides of the law… then you can imagine hes trying to keep to his original principles… so Voken is the deluded new detective and Hamy is the hard-boiled veteran… Remember the film “Training day”? :)

Still looking forward to how the rest of the series pans out, and indeed this is probably one of the better anime series from the last couple of years

20. Bane says:

Funny that you should mention the True Men. For the longest time I thought that Hamy was a True Man (or True Woman I guess), given how she lived her life and because she was chummy with the Church guys. But to think the conspiracy went even beyond that. We’ve seen the whole “good guys create the bad guys” thing before, but in this series it really fits right in.

With the dry spell this season, right now this is basically the only show airing that is worth watching.

21. Machi says:

Odd though, I can stand Noloty and her naivety yet Volken irks me with his. I guess the difference is that Volken preaches while Noloty just does it without being loud about it. I think in the series though Noloty might be the only “pure” character given that Volken did kill in the beginning the mock men.

Now as for the analogy with Hamy being a hard-boiled detective does seem apt in a way but… For some reason I seriously doubt Hamy joined the library for good reasons, or rather was pure in the first place given the flashback with Mattalast. We definitely haven’t seen the entire side of Hamy’s story and I can only assume she’s way more sinister or darker than she appears. I also have a feeling that Violet Sinner isn’t the real “good” guy either. For the reason that she’d have to be just as nuts or selfish to actually decide to be a True Man, that and considering the OP it seems she and Hamy knew each other and by association I don’t think she’s any good either.

Afterall, Hamy certainly acts fluffy and tries to look fluffy (sewing bunny rabbits onto her blouse) but thats only on the outside. Inside we know her as this masochistic blood thirsty fatalist. So I wouldn’t be shocked in Violet Sinner despite her preaching of love and her fluffy look isn’t any worse than Hamy.

22. ZhengGon says:

Hamy rocks!! i hope she doesn’t die. its not that often i get to see a lead character that is pure badass and Hamy just rocks. hah

and to Volken dying, i say good riddance.

23. Hunter-Wolf says:

I “marathoned” the series in about 3 days and finally caught up .. sigh .. it is indeed one awesome ride .. can’t wait to see what happens next .. i can say if this series can pull an ending as strong as what we have already seen then it indeed is going to be a classic.

——————————————–

Now time for a little bit of analysis (all of it is my personal opinion and based on some observations and deduction)

-Bantorra … the supposed god-of-past in the world of the series …. my guess is that he/she/it is the tree we all saw at -probably- the lowest level in the library .. if not the tree itself Bantorra could be sealed in it.

Another possibility … we all remember the “book eater” villain who was taken over by Enlike in the “Monster” arc … when he ate people’s books they ended up locked in a dimension inside him and aware of their whereabouts .. so what about the books “eaten” by the tree .. do the they exist in a dimension inside the tree much like the book eater guy case … wouldn’t that explain the part of “turn into a book and go to heaven” repeated by True Men … so according to them you must make your life interesting and have a strong desire to be a candidate of being eaten by the Tree which in turn equals going to heaven .. which leads me to think ((The Tree = Heaven)) in the series and people with worthy books are eaten by it and live inside it in a separate dimension (which can explain Hamy’s desire to die and also the desire of her to make her life one-hell-of-a-book) … it could even be (Bantorra=Heaven=The Tree) … but not sure about this last one.

——————————

-Towitorra … mentioned in the beginning of ep2 … the god-of-present .. kinda surprising that Bantorra gets so much attention and the supposed deity of present life never gets mentioned again or play any role at the big events unfolding … i’m pretty sure it should play a larger role in the scheme of things … but who might it be .. and what kind of relation does it have with Bantorra .. can’t quite grasp that yet.

————————-

-Orntorra … this one is like Towitorra … mentioned in the beginning of ep2 … the god-of-future … seems to me that it can be related to the storm presditcion in Colio’s arc .. who else can presdict that a storm that never changed it’s path in 100 years would suddenly change course …. but who might it be or why would it help the churh of drwoning in god’s grace … i can’t tell.

Both were also mentioned later as having left earth to Bantorra and gone elsewhere .. but given how much lies are there i highly doubt it.

—————————-

-The Church of Drowning in God’s Grace … quite a catchy name .. isn’t it … but we never asked … which God of the three in the story .. Bantorra or Towitorra or Orntorra .. it might seem at first that it is Bantorra since the church members are obsessed about books (and as we know now the church was created by the armed Librarians) .. but what if that’s not the case .. what if it was Towitorra or Orntorra … and like i said above .. they did mention they left earth .. but given how much lies are around in the world i highly doubt that.

Also .. i think that even though the Church was created by the Armed Librarians they are currently not on real good terms .. maybe they are having some sort of cold awkward hidden war
    behind the scenes of their secret co-op relation which is in turn covered by the all-out-war that public know about … talk about complex XD

———————–

-Lascal Othello … simply put .. it was mentioned by the girl version .. that she is the incarnation of Yor (the dagger that extracts books) .. there is still so much mystery regarding the Weapon Yor … but i’m quite sure now that (Lascal Othello=Yor in human form) .. basically its a weapon with a mind of its own .. but the biggest question .. to me it seems that Yor is really the only way to extract books from dead bodies and all the talk about people turning into books is non-sense and lies (making Yor the Grim-reaper of Bantorra)

———————–

-Fhotona .. what happened to him !!? .. did he vansih/quit or was he killed .. where is his book (eaten by the tree maybe) .. was it Hamy that killed him (why/how) … lots of question still surround how the director position moved from Fhotona to Hamy … and now that i think of it … if the armed librarians select the governor of heaven (the head of the church) .. then who selects the next director to the librarians .. Bantorra !!?

——————————–

Ireia … what happened to her .. was she killed by Mokkania or what (along with the solids-diver guy) … i know the series doesn’t hold back when it comes to killing off characters but i felt like she just disappeared from the series … we didn’t even get to know her that well or what role did she play in the big scheme of things.

————————————-

Can’t wait to find the answers for the above questions and learn about the past of the “Violet Sinner” and the fates of all the characters left (hopefully they won’t be all killed off by Hamy).

Actually Volgen’s death was quite tragic but fitting at the same time … it pained me to see him die like that but “living in a big lie” or “living after knowing that the Armed Librarians honor thing he his entire life for is a very big lie” is much worse .. either way he will be missed for the rest of the series (now i worry about Notoly and Mirepoc .. it will feel really awful if they meet the same fate).

Seriously .. whenever i see Hamy readying her sling thing i can’t help feel something bad/awful/cruel will happen .. but still i can’t help liking her crazy wild personality .. it’s one of those Love/Hate relations XD

———————————

Finally i have to say great work psgels blogging this series and bringing our attention to it .. keep it up.

I also dig the Hussar pelisse's in the imperial uniforms. Kudos for making Anschbach and Mecklemburg still fairly rational characters.
The new one is not bad, but unlike in the old series, here I enjoyed the Yang episode more.
One problem I have with the new LOGH. The new Reinhard does not evoke the charisma of the old one. The old one was a magnetic character. Hate it or like him, I would love to drink a beer with Yang Wen Li, but I was glued on the screen whenever Reinhard was on it. The voice actor had a way to convey a feeling that this guy is truly exceptional. The pathos, the authority, the charisma.
So hearing that the third season is apparently darker is a plus.
See that was my problem with full metal panic, genuinely disliked the school comedy bits and wanted it to focus solely on the war story.
Anonymous2049774
Besides that for the most part I'm really enjoying. The backgrounds are great, I think the CGI is actually pretty good with the ships, only thing missing is that classic Imperial/FPA themes, but I suppose they have to make new ones.
Anonymous2049774
Actually, Julian also looks pretty young right now, but that's probably because... he is at this point in the story. But I just hope throughout the series we get to see his character design grow.
Anonymous2049774
I agree. I honestly don't even mind most of the designs, there are only a handful of characters I feel like they missed the mark; only problem is most are pretty important characters (most notably Kircheis, I think Yang's design is somewhere in the middle for me)
just one issue. Annerose's weird eyelashes. They stood out. More than Reihards. But they did.
Episodes 3 and 4 of the new LOGH have won me over. Very good, good use of music, and economic but to the point. Episode 3 did a better job than the original in getting across the depravity of the nobility. And Jessica in episode 4 was great.
I have successfully managed to ignore Darling in the Franxx.
@Masky: I keep up with it because I'm so far in, some of the intrigue is gone, their just fighting the monsters now.
Funny enough whle I was really into the promised Neverland before, I now have no real interest in it. After the first arc ended my engagement died out
Hmm, *bother to care at all makes more sense I think
If what is pretty much best of it that is out nowadays is just "semi" on level on caring, why ye care to care about shonen at all? :D
@Mario: One of the very few shounen I semi-care about.
Good news, the Promised Neverland will be adapted into anime https://www.animefeminist.com/the-promised-neverland-gets-anime-adaptation/
Heard of it, don't know anything of it.
Anonymous2043546
anyone know OpenGL
Rather nice inclusion that they had the voice actors actually speaking Ainu in Kamuy's third episode.
Anonymous2040262
its almost like he could be an antagonist
For me I don't mind if I have to pay to watch the series/ films, but damn it don't restrict me to access it. Entertainment medium is meant to be an exposure (for the lack of better terms), it's supposed to be available to the mass and nobody care for a series that isn't available for streaming. We have way too many other options out there
"Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem". Someone said that and I couldn't say it better
@Amagi: which part of Firework that you stopped? It's the movie that make less and less sense as the story goes on so I feel you on that
I really wonder what's up with this guy. Considering the hype and VN screens he gets he seems to be more than just random side-protagonist. Looking forward to the rest of this series.
Anonymous2039704
One of my favorite OPs this season
Now I textwalled again and feel bad.
In short: be it indie-products or official series or papers, just upload everything on a virtual plattform and you'll get a bigger audience, many of them even willing to pay as long as they get what they want in high quality.
Something might only become popular 4 weeks later but it doesn't matter because it's still there and people can watch it whenever they want and the other series don't matter since it isn't a classical rivalry as we know it from tv.
"Less people watched the first episode than the 1000th iteration of [insert some "classic" movie old people watch for the sake if it]. With streaming plattforms like Netflix and others series just get dumped and are always accesible.
Another reason for why I prefer streams and stuff: TV and quotes are a horror. They often cancelled series after one or two episodes because the quotes didn't live up to what they wanted. Instead of giving a new series some time. It needs time to get a fanbase and people often need weeks to even know about a new series, but nope.
In the end such things are usually screened in ~3 places around the country for a day or two. So if you aren't living nearby or have work to do on that day: good luck.
Sometimes it isn't their fault though, like when there is an anime or some indie guy from my country is making a movie - and nobody wants to show them.
Same here. I really want to give small companies or indie/artists a chance, but it's not always easy.
What baffled me was the British film institute blocking Irish users using their legal streams.
Believe it or not I actually WANT to support.
While I do pirate alot, in cases where an obscure film actually gets a cinema release I make sure to pay to see it at the cinema, I support all the rare anime screenings too.
There is so much stuff I had to pirate or I would have had to relinquish it completely. Even with non-fiction books for my university studies.
lmao. But I 100% agree. Maybe you're lucky if you live in the US but otherwise you are often enough f*ed. Bad marketing.
Point I was trying to make is that, region blocking is only encouraging piracy more.
narf~ couldn't manage to finish that Firework movie, do I miss much? It seems like something that might have a bunch of good ideas for the later part but the first half just bored me and I couldn't get into it for some reason.
Release your damn indie project on a reputable site or at least offer a paypal option and if its something off-colour in content, send the bloody thing digitally and not as a dvd.
Oh look, funimation releases eng dub trailer...think I'll...wat....oh wait this video is not available in your region"
"This video cannot be streamed outside of"
"Sorry we do not deliver to Ireland"
"Sorry this film from less than a decade is out of print"
Yeah, fuck legal streaming, just for that I'm pirating you.
@Mario: Truly you have become the most super of Marios.
Finally pulling those reviews out. Guys, if you're expecting for Hinamatsuri and Masotan posts, the former will be done tomorrow and if I have more time I will do the second one too. Enjoy for now
Anonymous2037529
LWA academia is probably the only trigger project i've truly cared about. I haven't watched KlK to completion or luluco for that matter(i got to get around to that) but ive seen everything else and i just don't give a damn about any of em
But to say something positive - I liked the second episode of Kamuy way better than the first one. Budget seems to be really bad but the rest makes up for it it seems.
I think Luluco was the only one I enjoyed after KlK which already had a bunch of problems - but overall it was far too entertaining for me to seriously care about those.
Guess the last 1/3 might be more interesting when they start with the actual world building for once, although they could probably slam the love stuff even more in our faces but who knows. Not fond of any of the latest Trigger anime to be honest.
Also they're really overdoing it with all that obvious message stuff and the "love superpower" trope I always hated anyway. Still watching I mean at least it has a plot and tries.
I still can't care about anyone or anything in this series I think it's really not made for me. I might have liked Goro but he's too unimportant and the sauros revelation was kind of a letdown since it's the most common twist for these kinds of things.
Alright Franxx, you are forgiven for episode 14.
@Mario: Do you ever go to those surprise horror/thriller preview screenings? Where they don't tell you what film it is until it starts?
*worrying about
@Mario: Its saying something, when I haven't seen eternal sunshine since it came out, but even by re-watching the trailer, the feelings, the whole film comes back. At that point I'd grown out of Jim Carey's comedy, so seeing him play against type was refreshing.
@Mario: Ah, I'm more forgiving then, I'm likely to give higher points for sheer imagination that I'm not as bothered by worry about the story.
@Mario: Any negative argument against mood indigo by him can be countered by the fact it has Audrey Tatou in it.
Anonymous2035464
jhonrhean
and I just watched A Quiet Place. A solid indie horror one. It builds on atmosphere and it does the family chemistry right
I don't like The Science of Sleep to be honest. Tons of interesting ideas and visually creativeness but the story itself is a mess
@Mario: Gondry needs to avoid making any more commercial comedies, he also needs to start working with Kaufman again, they brought out the best in each other, although on his own, he can be playful and inventive with his films, such as mood indigo and science of sleep.
But check out his other movie Eternal sunshine of Spotless Mind. It has an inventive mind control/ mind altering concept in there
Jim Carrey is kind of mind controller himself. I couldn't take my eyes off him
@anon2028818: it was indeed season 5. SORRY FOR MY IGNORANCE :)
The Jim Carrey movies.
Dorei-ku seems like a Kakegurui. You see one episode you've seen all. It'll be better if it was crazier like Mirai Nikki. Mind control IMO could be a very creepy setup if it's watched through the perspective of the victim rather than the perpetrator. Losing notion or reality and control. Could liar liar and Yes man be considered mind controlled stories?
Ore Mahou Shoujo, baffles me, since I had to skip another long musical off key number, which makes me wonder where the budget cut starts and where the trolling begins. Also makes me sad, there aren't a lot of female to male transformations since it'll be interesting watching that perspective. Maybe a love triangle from both genders could apply since females are more accepted to be bi, in media.
Megalobox could be something really special, but I hope like with Ashita no Joe, the anime isn't solely boxing. Joe, had social commentary, had a personal struggle do to the protagonist origin, attitude and view of life, since he started very immature and rebellious.
Megalo Box, Tiramisu (I find this genuinely funny), S;0, GGO which is so much better than SAO, Wotaku, Hinamatsuri, Cutie Honey, LotGH, Hisone to Masotan and so on
I really love this season as well.
Also personally I am enjoying this current season a alot. But I also know/like a good bit of the reboots/sequels
Oh man... 2015 winter was good. Forgot thats when those came out
Anonymous2028818
@SuperMario: Wasn't that Natsume season 5?, pretty sure season 4 was several years earlier.
Another strong anime season for me was 2015 Winter, where we had YuriKuma Arashi, Maria the Virgin Witch, Death Parade, Durarara whatever season, second cour of Shirobako, Parasyte and Your Lie in April
Even so, with this season I'm still willing to give some shows another chance, like Caligula or Cutie Honey Universe(!)
For me, the best season in recent years was Fall 2016 when we had Flip Flappers, Sound Eupho 2, Yuri on Ice, Natsume 4, Fune wo Amu, Drifters and 3-gatsu no Lion. But I know that Aidan would disagree with me on this
@anon2028201: it's me who said this season is a mixed bag. It's like you said, this season is too heavily on sequels/ reboots and only some new anime stand out, the rest of the pack is just meh.
Anonymous2028201
To me this seems like a pretty good seasons, but judging some of the impressions, it's a bit more of a mixed bag for most. Just curious, what were the best seasons for recent anime? This one seems good to me, but to early to tell right now
Anonymous2028201
Lovin this season so far: a lot of reboots/reimaginings and sequels, but I'm enjoying them all. MHA S3, LOGH DNT, S;G 0, Megalobox, Golden Kamuy are what I'm watching right now. I hear Full Metal Panic is good as well, but I haven't gotten around to watching the original series.
Anonymous2028258
so i just recently rewatched fullmetal panic fumoffu and i gotta say that this is easily one of Kyo ani's best works. It's such a surprise that this was their first anime; it's a damn good romance comedy
@Anon: Lol I love B-movie type stuff, because the rules are off.
I was the only person who watched Mazinkaiser skl and shin mazinger and skullman.
Anonymous2026379
@Kaiser Takeshi Koike really wanted to really sell it as a grindhouse feature and I ate that shit up; I really dug the tone he was going for.
@Anon: It was strange seeing that Goemon short, much as I enjoyed it, thats the goriest I seen lupin get.
Anonymous2026379
Megalo box is pure retro while lupin is a mix of old and new...and you're right; people just think they can't jump right into it. But that's why more people should be talking about it; to let the masses know that you don't need a starting point to get into the Lupin franchise
I'm a massive fan of the devilman manga and I thought devilman crybaby was better than it.
Anonymous2026379
90's-esque throwback feeling shows like lupin and megalo box have been giving me
Anonymous2026379
Luoin part 5 is definitely mixing the best of new and old. Honestly, I've been having a blast with it as well as this generally 90
I think the problem is, people see lupin as this long thing they can't get into, when really its so episodic/standalone mostly you can pick up and watch.
And of course getting the best bits out of old and new.
*visual style
I'm a fan of this hybrid old and new style, megalobox does it too, mine fujiko aswell and casshern sins.
I was surprised by how well the Fujiko mine show came together in the end.
I'll be interested in picking up more facts about thrm.
Come think of it, Akira Kurosawa did some old western (eastern?) in Russian, that had an Ainu in it.
Anonymous2026379
Asirpa is sooooo adorable.....almost feels patronizing to say that about her due to how badass she is
Anonymous2026379
What makes Fujiko work so well as this sexy icon is that she isn't just sexy: she's smart as shit and uses that sexiness to dominate and control her opponents (similar to bayonetta) rather than be chained by the objectification of her opponents (and the viewers for that matter)
Anonymous2026379
I wonder what other obscure cameos we may get this season. And yea you're right about some of Lupin's potentially sexist traits being assuaged by his level of cool and the genuine respect he shows a good deal of the women he has encountered throughout the series
@Anon: Yet still a fun film at the same time.
Anonymous2026379
@Kaiser Yea, mamo was a pretty dark element introduced to the lupin franchise; and considering the tone of the gravestone of Jigen, it makes sense he would cameo there
@Mario: Help I want to kidnap Asirpa =<
@Anon: I'm probably as surprised as you, at finding someone to talk to about Lupin on here.
@Anon: And through comparing/contrasting the jigen grave stone and Fujiko mine, with some of the sillier older ones, it shows the Lupin characters are flexible enough to work both in a darker AND sillier context.
*character
@Anon: Fujiko is precisely how a fanservicey character should work and how built in/essential it is to her haracter, without becoming an irritant.
@Anon: By all means Lupin himself shouldn't be a character we like, much like Bond, but like Bond theres a coolness to the character that allows us to love him.
@Anon: Another great thing about Lupin is how it uses its 60s cool to get away with what would normally probably be considered fairly sexist.
@Anon: I had a big smile on my face when Mamo made a cameo appearance at the end of one of the recent ones and thats because I remember the Lupin Mamo movie was one of those first anime that I watched about 20 years aago.
Anonymous2026379
not to mention that its one of the few anime this season that actually knows how to utilize dialogue to explore flesh out its characters rather than exposition or contrivance: looking at you darling in the franxx
Anonymous2026379
@Kaiser-Eoghan Nice fun facts; but yea Lupin III is a series that has always had an amazing sense of pacing and adventure, traits that are definitely on display this season
@Anon: Its a huge franchise too so I'm often never sure where to go next.
@Anon: You may or may not know this, but the voice actor for solid snake voiced Lupin in one of the dubs.
@Anon: I watched a few episodes of the Italy set lupin show too .
Its a fun franchise due to its cast but its something I have to follow irregularly, lest it get repetitive.
@Anon: Fun fact, guy who directed the gold of babylon film was a famous B-movie noir director in the 60s.
Dont trust anything written by the original SAO author. Everything is his fault. Kirito is not in this series.
Even the original SAO author has little to do with it, which is why its actually good
So SAO Alt is basically completely removed from the rest of SAO
@Anon: Lupin is one of those things I dip in and out of, whatever part of the franchise it is. I've seen birdcage kingdom, Mamo, cagliostro, nostradamus, Jigens grave stone, mine fujiko and the recent Goemon centred special.
Anonymous2026379
it's a damn shame not a lot of ppl are talkig about/watching lupin the third this season
But for all I know with that team behind it, its an improvement, but theres probably not much point in me watching as I dropped the first season after less than 10 episodes.
See how he attempts to seduce me into watching something related to sword art.
Huh... I didnt know the writer for SAO Alt was written by the Kino's Journey creator and produced by the Flip Flappers people. Explains a lot
I wish I knew what you meant by shaman girls, and I cant wait
@Lenlo, Oh I know Leskinen. May he find his Japanese Shaman girls one day. But seeing as I know the story I wanna experience it differently.
@Mario: Its even set in hokkaido, Korean/Japanese director, Japanese cast, Ken Watanabe is in it: https://letterboxd.com/film/unforgiven-2013/
Also, I love the ED. Really, 2 episodes in, I love S;G all over again.
@Kaiser: really? They remade Unforgiven in Japanese?
its*
Like... is good.
But your missing out on the cult of Leskinen. The engrish is actually one of my favorite parts
@Lenlo, Meanwhile I am happily waiting for the dub.
Dangit... I have to wait another week for Steins;Gate 0 now. I cant do this.
@Mario: The Japanese remake of unforgiven had ainu people in it.
Anonymous2025797
Also I wonder if budget is distributed according to the director, some animes will spend more in the first episode. Some will spend more in the last ones. It's subjective, but if it's like all business it is looking for the better result at the minimum expense. Hence why I believe Berserk was made the way it did.
Anonymous2025797
@Kaiser-Eoghan - Ideally a story should be as long as it needs. But reality seems that a number of episodes is decided before production. And so you either have to stretch or cut material. Kinda like that 300 page manga of Les Miserables, is simply unfeasible translating that book into that few pages.
Oberstein was a great character.
I actually feel Aidan can do a good job on it. Sometimes been too exposed to the material may lead to clouded eyes.
Though I'm surprised by how I unexpectedly laughed at wotaku, I do wonder if later on it will include any slight drama elements to sustain interest.
OMO; OBERsteins; Gate =P
From watching episode 2 of golden kamuy, yeah, the source material definitely is lifting this.
I'm going to have to wait and see on steins; gate 0, it is encouraging to here this might be darker , at the same time I remember having to sit through too much goofy humour in the first one.
I was actually surprised, that, while rare, there were some moments of humour, that lightened it for me.
Throughout the entire series I expected Oberstein to pull some inevitable double cross. And was shocked when he never did.
@Kaiser: Agree with Oberstein. I think antagonists are es important as the mains in fiction and I loved this guy, he's perfect for series like these.
Galactic heroes was an example of where when watching it, when big death scenes occured, I would make noooooo and shouting noises at the screen while clenching my fist.
I love characters like Oberstein, shrewd, clever, but done right to where I can believe it, not characters like, say Lelouch .
I'd be concerned if the new galactic heroes series skimps on the violence, that kind of thing needs to be in there, in most shows/films and shown to be explicit, consequences need to be shown.
*about, not with

Golden Kamuy – 03 [Kamuy Moshir]

We have a sparser episode compared to the one last week, but believe me it’s still a dense episode with many seeds being planted and this week is essentially your Ainu 101 episode. The mangaka does a thoroughly research over Ainu culture, and he’s more than happy to show off here. But apart from the […]

Hisone to Masotan – 02 [I’ll Name the Dragon Masotan]

It’s already 2 episodes in and I still have absolute no idea what HisoMaso’s overarching theme is going to be, which might no be a bad thing given I enjoy the show for what it is so far. HisoMaso’s main concept is quite silly when you think about it. A dragon camouflages as a military […]

Full Metal Panic Invisible Victory – 02[Damage Control]

A long awaited return of an old favorite is quite enough to make me smile but this episode makes it clear that this will not be the same happy go lucky FMP of the past. The light hearted shenanigans of the old series are pretty much gone now with Kaname coming to grips with several […]

Darling in the Franxx – 15[Jian]

Alright Franxx, you are forgiven for episode 14 and thank god this whole mess was sorted out relatively fast. I was truly prepared for this to drag on for several episodes but looks like they had the sense to cut it short and give the audience what it wants. So we get an animation extravaganza […]

Megalo Box – 3 [Gear Is Dead]

Another week, another good episode of Megalo Box. Its like dose of old school action. This week we get a subversion of the “upgrade” and some evidence of how bad life in the slums really is. Lets jump in! So my first thought after finishing this episode was, wow there are some awesome camera shots […]

Hinamatsuri – 03 [Hobo Life 101]

Hinamatsuri week 3 plays like an extension to Anzu and Hitomi’s stories last week. It’s like two sides of a same coin where you can see these girls grow in a direction you don’t expect (NO innuendo here), albeit at the cost of the central chemistry between Nitta and Hina. Here’s the trick to why […]

Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii – 02[Are We Now Dating?]

After a strong first episode I come back to this show and find a rather middling second episode. There is some good content here, namely the Evangelion references, one of which was butchered by the crunchyroll translators.(Narumi and Hanako were arguing over who was best girl in Evangelion with notes over their head about whose […]

Steins;Gate 0 – 2 [Epigraph of the Closed Curve -Closed Epigraph-]

7 years. It has been almost 7 years since the original season of Steins;Gate. Since Okabe overcame received a mysterious video message, which prompted him to finally save the day. Back then it was a rather clever, if thin, plot device to get a happy ending. Steins;Gate 0 is the story of this video message. […]

Legend of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These – 2/3[The Battle of Astarte/An Indomitable Prodigy]

If I was to judge this adaption based solely on the first three episodes I would declare it a resounding success. For while I do really like the old series, it does have a rather slow start. I say i only truly got invested in it around episode 3 or 4 when the more political […]

Violet Evergarden (2018 Winter) Review – 76/100

Violet Evergarden’s existence has surely been a public one. Acclaimed before everyone lick a taste of it (it was awarded for grand prize in the fifth Kyoto Animation Award’s novel category in 2014 – read, KyoAni awards), it goes without saying that Violet Evergarden is one of the most anticipated show of the sparse Winter […]

A Place Further than the Universe (Winter 2018) Review – 77/100

Cute girls doing cute things is a genre that been done to death at this point. Even within this Winter 2018 we had been overloaded with big eyes fluffy face girls doing a lot of different things of interest. It takes a standout concept or a deeper narrative to make one stand out from this […]

After the Rain (2018 Winter) Review – 89/100

I suppose that most of us, even the perministic ones, enter After the Rain (Ameagari) with some reservations. After all, the premise about a crush from an 18-year-old girl to the store manager who is nearly 30 years senior raises a lot of red flags here. Yet the show handles this tricky premise with deep […]

Kokkoku – 42.5/100

There are lots of bad anime out there, for one reason or another. Whether it be stilted animation, terrible writing or bad direction, a good portion of each season is simply not worth it. Kokkoku is not a bad anime. It is something much worse. Kokkoku is a mediocre anime. Bad ones get talked about, […]

Junji Ito Collection Anime Review – 40/100

In the realm of manga there is a man whose name is inescapable when the genre of horror is brought up. That man is Junji Ito and his work is considered legendary for its artistic detail, mastery of manga paneling and it’s outlandish imaginative concepts. Up till now his work has yet to have an […]

Yuru Camp (Winter 2018) Review – 74/100

I admit that I underestimated Yuru Camp back in its first few episodes. I took it as a standard, run-on-the-mill slice of life show and I fully expected to give it 3 episodes at max before throwing it into the deep sea of forgotten anime. But as time pass, I can certainly see many good […]

Neo Yokio – 96/100

This may be half a year overdue but I simply can’t accept that none of the writing staff of Star Crossed Anime have cover the the biggest development in anime where Netflix took a hand in producing anime in the form of Neo Yokio. Taking place in the metropolis of Neo Yokio, a mashup between […]

Devilman Crybaby – 83/100

It’s an exciting time to be an anime fan where new business models and players are making big waves within the animation industry. After debuting with the original and excellently-produced Neo Yokio, the juggernaut streaming service of Netflix has decided to revive the classic series of Devilman and gives it the full adaption treatment. By […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 69/100

Fantasy is a rather prolific genre in anime, with a vast majority of Isekai and Shounen fitting snugly into it. Most take place in their own unique setting, either Amestris of Full Metal Alchemist or the made of world of the latest Isekai trash. Few however try to set themselves in our world. To peel […]