Posted by psgels on 21 March 2010 with categories: Cross Game

Oh god, no. It’s going to continue into the next episode (which is also going to be the final one). This is exactly what I’ve been fearing for 20 episodes now: this show just isn’t good at baseball matches. and to drag them on like this. It’s a shame that this show had to be about baseball. I can understand that without it, the characters couldn’t have developed the way they did, but this also made this kind of finale inevitable.

Overall the creators tried to put in some nice twists and all, but writing a good baseball match is all about building up tension. Over the entire series. At this point Kou and Azuma have been so god-moded that I’m not exactly rooting for them to make it. Even though Kou slipped up, the bugger actually hit a home-run later to make up for it.

In any case, at this point I consider this to still be a wonderful series, but when compared to Touch, in the end I have to say that Touch was better. While its characterization may have been not as good as Cross Game, and it may have been a tad too long for its own good, it was more balanced, and every part about it was well written, even the lesser exciting arcs. It all amounted to some great character-development and excellent baseball matches. Even the final climax was wonderful to watch, despite the seemingly cliched set-up.

I don’t think that the problem with Cross Game would have been solved if the creators spent more effort into the baseball matches. The thing is that the slice of life was just that good. I seldomly have seen it this witty and consistently enjoyable. The biggest mistake that this series made in this that could have been fixed is the way in which they treated the opposing team: the development of these people sucks when compared to the main cast. These guys needed much more attention if they wanted to make impact in this match.
Rating: (Enjoyable)

1. Sywen says:

i dropped Cross Game quite a few episode’s ago, i compared it to princess nine, and i have to say, it doesn’t hold a candle.

2. Puran says:

Hmmm are they skipping content like crazy? If I’m right, they will have to stuff like 5-6 chapters in the final episode. (didn’t see this episode yet, don’t know how much it covered)

3. riddle says:

dude, swen, princess nine was crap, it is not ven worth comparing it to cross game. and i think the base ball

4. userA says:

The game will end in the next episode and the series will rerun to it’s slice-of-life character in the last 1.5 episodes.

5. Ebod says:

Overall, I think I enjoyed the characters more for Cross Game than Touch, which makes Cross Game a more solid read than Touch was, but yeah, not a big fan of Cross Game’s baseball matches and especially not the final one. (Though I guess I’ll be shot for saying that.)

6. Puran says:

@userA

That would be good, but I’ve read Cross Game will only be 50 episodes… Meaning we will get half an episode at most for the slice of life, finale stuff.

7. Puran says:

Meh, ok, I saw the episode.

They really rushed through a lot of stuff. Which is fine, but the episode felt sloppy. A lot of stills used too. And they de-emphasized the flashbacks a lot. The one with Kou throwing the ball on the wall was a really nice and touching moment in the manga and they really rushed through it here.

I’ll say it already. Cross Game needed one more episode. This episode was rushed, and the next one will be rushed too. Sure they can fit all the content in 20 minutes, but for slice of life moments to work, they need a slow, proper, pacing.

What the hell is up with anime creators and rushed finales?

8. nrad67 says:

Not to worry, since Kou hit that homer, the game will end quick and you’ll still get 0.75 episode of slice-of-life. A bit disappointed with this episode thou.

9. raywiper says:

At least in manga the last game seemed way to drawn out. I had impression that is was done just to ‘hit’ 160th chapter. I will not complain if in anime the last game is shortened.

As for the rest of baseball games – i enjoyed them. Still Touch seemed more ‘down to earth’ – god modes do not mix well with a slice of life.

10. Alec says:

anime sure makes LONG GRUELING baseball matches in the manga short. waiting for the manga was a pain. Mitsuru Adachi went awol, putting the manga on hiatus …and crap….. sigh…..but it was worth the wait…

im really a fan of cross game’s op and ed song…even H2 opening songs… H2 would have been phenomenal if they decided to follow the manga completely and finish the anime..to bad it didnt

11. Alec says:

also TOUCH WAS TOO LONG FOR ITS OWN GOOD. marathoned it like there was no tomorrow. despite watching all episodes and movies of touch, im not really a fan of it… i prefer H2 9if only they finished it…deim!!!!….

12. haZzeeM says:

It’s kinda sad that this amazing series is coming to an end. Despite the running time of 50 episodes it never felt dragged out (like felt Touch for me). I will seriously miss this show!

13. Darren says:

If Kou hit that homerun at the the end, then the match is over I believe. So you don’t have to worry about the next episode.

14. Darren says:

lol. Just saw the preview, I guess it will drag on for a bit more.

15. Alec says:

it wont drag on…

16. Anonymous Anime Addict says:

In my opinion, Mitsuru Adachi is brilliant in weaving together and developing his characters thoroughly and subtly throughout the story. But, aside from Touch and perhaps Rough, he always seems to wrap things up very quickly in a way that doesn’t entirely satisfy all the time spent developing the characters and sub-plots. Unfortunately, the endings to many of his managas do not seem to match the pace of the rest of his storytelling.

I was secretly hoping the anime would fill in the details Adachi left out. However, it seems this anime will be faithful to the way the manga ended. Don’t get me wrong, I thought for the two main characters, it wasn’t a bad ending at all, very slice of life, but it wasn’t entirely satisfying in respect to everything else.

All that said, I think this anime has been a very good adaptation of the Cross Game manga. Where it has differed, it has been an improvement (e.g. like the opportunity for Aoba to consider the female pro-league and largely summarising the childhood background of the characters through very effective flash backs). I will miss watching this anime when it ends.

I look forward to what Psgel and others have to say.

Apologies for what turned out to be a rather long comment!! Probably why I don’t leave them too often ;-P

17. spoon says:

Touch was annoyinngggggg… Say no to love quadrangles! Cross Game had REAL slice of life, Touch just had love quadrangle angst >

18. Sacket says:

For Adachi, from what I’ve seen so far H2 is the best in terms of the baseball matches. (Imagine Kou and Azuma still close friends- but on opposing teams).

But I think the characters, slice of life, and romance are best in Cross Game.

19. Alec says:

I just can’t bring myself to compare her baseball mangas… H2 and Cross Game are both good. And they both also have different charms. Sometimes I totally just forget that adachi’s manga are Romance/slice of life mangas… Her baseball mangas aren’t for baseball, but the way she ends her baseball mangas Like h2 and cross game makes feel that something is missing. In h2 the manga ended after they won the semi finals in koshien , and in cross game, manga ended after entering koshien

20. spoon says:

sorry to burst your bubble, but adachi’s a guy by the way ^^

I do think getting pissed off though is much easier irl than doing it online where it doesn't bother me as much.
And it surprises me alot that I followed so many romance manga years ago, enjoyed them, but I've never been a romantic person irl at all.
I also hate incompetence/failure and am generally not especially patient.
I care about others and appearances mainly to extent it either is of benefit, if I have to or it avoids hassle.
People tend to think I'm cold, articulate, blunt irl too.
I'm not a sentimental or passionette/emotional person irl, I don't like wasting time with other peoples shit and don't bother with it, avoid looking at people or touching them physically, talk in long dry speeches and in general come off as a quiet, reserved but snarky/cynical person.
I probably unknowingly come off as different on this site than I would irl.
Honestly I'd veer towards depressing or surreal/strange/messed up work more out of just wanting to see weird and depressing stuff happen and little else, just interests me, I can't remember the last time I cried.
um i wanted to make my own blog but it wants a email but i dont want my parents finding out
It is weird how we never clash on what we want to cover on each season. Anyway I need someone to contrast my egotisical self so it's all good.
haha, Aidan: heartless grumpy monster & Mario: sentimental sappy bloke. Readers, you got yourself quite an odd combination of writers here.
Anonymous951955
We'll see; trailers can give false impressions
Anonymous951955
Not that all changes from source adaptations are terrible, but in this case, at least the trailer makes it look pretty bad.
Anonymous951955
It looks not great; I understand the need to change it a bit to suit the format/audience, but at what point does it turn from adaption to "loosely based on"?
HelghastKillzone
I'm glad we're past the phase of moe club shows.
@Helghast, now that's something I never thought I would hear.
HelghastKillzone
Hell ya. We are in a golden age of anime that is filled with options and quality.
What a great week! Iron Blooded Orphans, Onihei, Little Witch Academia and ACCA 13 all had great episodes! I am spoiled!
@Anon and @Aikan

The LoGH manga remake has been out. It did not work for me.

I hope he anime goes its own way. I do trust Production IG, so I hope. I think it might not be this year. No lgoic, just a hunch.
@Anon, Only info I can find is that it's coming out this year and it will be by Production IG. But I think you are right in that if it;s coming this year it will definitely be winter.
Feeling rather cautious about the remake myself. LoGH is dated visually but in a way it is a product of it's time and things you could forgive in the old version wouldn't be so forgivable in the new.
Does anybody know when that LoGH readaptation is coming? It's supposed to be this year right? Probably winter right?
But I will give it a full review anyways because all the amount of time I spent in that series should be paid off somehow, right?
But serious Gohands is a studio that had potential its just a shame its wasted on rubbish writers. Although I did like mardock scramble, because cyberpunk =)
If I met handshakers in public I'd refuse to shake its hand =D
Oh, it's actually just an extra Hand Shakers episode that serves as a prequel story. Not that bad then
Not to disregard Hand Shakers, but the best way to describe how I feel about that series is mind-numbing
They tried with that Military guy and his daughter but not by much.
But I do agree that there needs to be more to the characters, right now its JUST Tanya.
As for Tanya, having caught up with it, its a nice trashy guilty pleasure, especially due to the protagonist and I enjoy the setting because I'm a war film fan and like some of the action/politicking. I still do wish it was aesthetically a bit better. The dub isn't that bad and I'd welcome a second season.
In an ideal world Kino's journey would have been a good model for what light novel adaptations can be and SHOULD be.
If we must have more light novel adaptations, I would prefer them to be like Tanya, Muvluv, okay hardly breathtaking, but still better than that thing Aidan linked.
*Sigh* It looks exactly how I imagined it would and its terrible.
Please dont tell me thats an actual title.
In another world with my smart phone light novel to get an anime.

Oh my god...This literally sounds like a joke title you would see within an anime. Tried giving it an honest chance by reading it and it's just shit. Just pure terrible.
If people in Japan are actually buying blurays thinking its a good show then something is seriously wrong with the world.
@Topgavin, maybe too many people watched it because it was so terrible. I haven't watched past episode 1 but it doesn't sound like it improved.
Just incase you guys were avidly waiting for the announcement, Hand Shakers is getting a prequel season because it's apparently selling well......
Should be happy for it, though I'm a bit disappointed that I can't be able to cover it
Inside Mari gets live-action series adaptation. Why not anime?? Duh
Spike
Little Witch Academia finally tips it's hand on the overall plot! I'm pretty pleased and think some direction might help bump it up from just being 'good' overall.
HelghastKillzone
@KTravlos Still watching it week by week and I'll write up a review on the second season of Iron-Blooded when it ends.
@Mario: It is however the kind of anime film that would have the wide audience appeal though, as in anime for people who don't watch anime.
@Kaiser: just prove that people has paid attention to anime. That's an encouraging sign actually
Feck, silent voice was booked out when I got there just now....should have booked in advance, showing at 7:00 on Friday booking it now.
@KTravlos: I haven't, but that more because I'm not a big fan of Mecha genre. I believe one of our writer HelghastKillzone still follow the series
No idea, if you are all still watching MS Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans. I am, and while the 2nd Season toned down some of the elements that made the 1st Season good, it is still pretty good with the last episode doing a great job. If it keeps it, it definitely is head to head with Turn A Gundam for my favorite long-form Gundam Series (I am doing Gundam Origins for the original story)
Mhmm. It was one of those shows it weave adult themes into a kids show, so it had something for both. Now I can also appreciate the artstyle that doesnt use hard black outlines for everything.
If anything I get so much more out of Samurai Jack now than when I watched it as a kid.
Love that dude Aidan. And yes Kaiser, I think anyone get enjoy it now. I love that its back, but even without that its easily standing on its own
How much of this love of samurai jack is a nostalgia driven thing? I'm not knocking that nostalgia but would it be possible to get something out of the show now if I never watched it when I was younger?
Yeah, that conversation was great. Really shows you how messed up hes become. Its also amazing when you realize that was the last set of spoken dialogue in the episode. There was not a single word uttered in the second half.
The audience who enjoyed samurai Jack has grown up, them bringing up seppuku and blood is possibly a part of that.
Scene with the coffins was awesome as was the fight in the dark. My personal favorite part of the episode though was Jack arguing with his old design self. And young jack suggesting committing seppuku made my eyebrows raise. I mean..damn.
I agree Aidan. That quick shot of Jack vs the Daughter, with the sudden blood, suprised me as much as it did Jack. I really loved the scene with the coffins. The music nad sound was just great there.
@Lenlo, It was a really great episode. I love the meta of Jack being worn down by the wait and the wait the viewers had to endure for the new season. I is rather odd seeing blood in Samurai Jack though but it does make that particular moment have so much more impact.
April 16th for NZ. It is a lesser known movie than Kimi no na wa though, so I do wonder how available it's going to be in cinemas
This second episode of Jack was really just amazing. Its making full use of the new budget/tech for the art and of the new rating, along with the impact the timeskip would have on Jack. The cinematography was superb as well.
@Kaiser: Koe ko machi will creen in Aussie in the beginning of April as well. I'll go to watch it; but I would love to jear your thoughts on the movie.
There is a preview screening of koe to kachi on Monday night, depending I may go, I may review it or at least talk about it on here.
I'm dying waiting for the Blame! anime film adaptation to come out in May. I've wanted an adaptation for years.
And I'm too much of a cheap-ass to actually buy anything, don't even use legal streaming for films or anime/manga/comics, pirate almost everything.
Or shelves for that matter.
I've fallen out of the collectors thing pretty much entirely. I don't like to advertise any of my interests on my bedroom wall either.
Some years ago I ended up selling almost all of my anime dvds/vhs and manga, comic books aswell, took down my posters and moved what figures I had left into attic boxes , just no space for it and it was a good way to get some quick extra cash.
I love Rakugo as well, im not meaning to bad talk it at all. I simply also agree with Aiden that slow rolling us with Yakumo's death was poorly done and that its feeling stretched.
Nevermind, the $30 price tag made that decision for me
Weird how I see $8 movies on youtube as a ripoff yet a $90 series as a bargain. All these $300 box sets made me think it'd be in the hundreds. Wonder if I should get rebellion too
I'm still pretty much a fan of Rakugo this season. It goes much darker than the first season, something I didn't dare to think before consider this isYotaro's story. Would love to see more about rakugo's industry but this season does flesh out a lot of our core characters
I said it before but I'll bring it up again, the slow pace allows for, when big things happen to have a larger impact when they do.
*In
**and(not on) waiting for the series to finish
Season 1 showed a lot more, different periods and times, the development of Rakugo, the tragedy of Sukeroku & Miyokichi (or at least one version). In contrast, season 2 was basically about Sukeroku's legacy in the form of Yotaro and Konatsu and their kids, and Yakumo's relationship with death, changing from fatalistic to happiness over the course of the series.
I think it might be 13 episodes, the first season had 13.
To be honest, I understand your point: It's hard to actually describe what happened in season 2. I guess I became invested into Yakumo in season 1, and then warmed up to Yota and Konatsu in this season.
Yeah, I think they certainly could have compressed the front half of the season. There wasn't too much plot going on, but I enjoyed the characters and their interactions, so I didn't mind the deliberate pacing.
I still really like Rakugo, its really good, it just probably didnt need 12 episodes. That said, really lookin forward to the timeskip
@Mario: I've never actually seen any of Olivier Asayas' films come to think of it.
But going back to that dragging on, that did factor in almost making me hold off on waiting for the series to finish before going back. The anon's comment was what got me to watch this weeks episode right now rather than waiting till later.
Rakugo remains at this point still going in too long, but in fairness to the anon, yes the episodes conclusion was effective on emotional level and I bought into the dreamy atmosphere, largely due to the good cinematography the series uses.
Really? Im torn. Im glad they didnt bait and switch us again, but I always liked how grounded Rakugo was so im not sure how ok I am with the supernatural part and some of it felt like fanservice in regards to bringing characters back. The VA though is fantastic as always and I am definitely looking forward to this last timeskip. Cant wait to see the kids grown up.
Rakugo was otherworldly today. Not going to lie, was fighting tears back, but failed at the end.
@Topgavin: the bluray goes by region as well so you can only buy it in Australia/NZ region (region 4). For Madoka I still find it easiest to just go to JB Hi Fi and buy it. Sometimes I find it cheaper from JB Hi Fi than even their original distribution company.
@Topgavin, I ordered my Madoka bluray's from Amazon.co.uk.
Where do you guys buy your merch? Was looking into buying the Madoka blurays but can't find a reliable place to ship to NZ.
@Kaiser: nah, Personal Shopper isn't even a horror. It's just a failed arthouse that have little to say except grief.
...even now. For Raw, I would never expect the positive reactions from mainstream. I think the film really push the tolerance of the voewers, but it was a refrrshing watch.
@Kaiser: now you mentioned 2 films thay I really fond of. I come from Vietnam, so I could easily tell you that the settings are staged. The dialogue is pretty unnatural as well, but the movie grows a lot on me. I still love the striking visual and a long, slow mood the film evoke, and It speaks to one of the theme (women's identity in Vietnam society) that speaks well to me and still relevant...
@Mario: Is personal shopper really that mediocre a horror film?
@Mario: I also got back from seeing Raw a couple of hours ago, though the violence was enjoyable I was expecting it to be more so, it was also surprisingly funny at times.
@Mario: I did eventually see Scent of Green Papaya, while I did like that a plot actually did appear later on I was mostly content to find it a really pretty looking and generally relaxing film.
@Aidan: =< Sorry that anon post was me, was using the work computer and didn't log in.
@Anon, don't do that. Don't hint at future events and just let people see for themselves.
The glasses teacher in scum's wish will have an interesting moment to look out for in the coming episodes, I read on in the manga. Only one chapter left.
*ED instead of OD
@anon928813: usually they will release the music separately from the DVD/Blurays. I believed the OP had released last year, and according to their website the OD gonna release in 5th of April
Does anyone know the release date for Zaregoto's OST? Is it bundled with one of the BDs?
Y'know I'd like to see this Akane-sensei girl attempt to seduce me and just watch her fail at trying to do so.
My guess is that Miura will do another 6 or so chapter run then put it down for another while.
Im so happy Berserk Manga is starting up again, but im curious for how long. I remember sitting through that boat. I was there for all 7 years of it. Im like a hiatus vet now
Pretty much in agreement on titan where after what the first season covers I've pretty much been waiting for it to get back on track before I bother to get back to it.
I should be catching up and sangatsu and acca.
I never saw kekkai sensens first season so there's little chance of me watching the sequel.
Berserk and Natsume I'll just stick with the manga. I don't know about Bahamut, it took me a few episodes to get into before it became fun, but then the ending was disappointing, again maybe there's room for improvement in season 2.
I would hope that eccentric families second season would be able to live up to the potential of building on the first. However it's been a while since I've seen season one, might need to refresh myself.
For the Spring season, it is a season of sequels. From sequels alone, I'll follow Berserk, Eccentric Family, BBB, My Hero Academia, Attack on Titan, Natsume (is it the last season?), How to Raise a Boring girlfriend. I dropped Shingeki no Bahamut after 3 episodes, but might pick it up again before the new season begin.
Before that, Utena and Haruhi.
Gotta love the extend a passionate fan would go. The last time I felt passionate about something anime-wise was Monogatari as there was a period of several months that I watched nothing but that series, and rewatched and rewatched. It just clicked with me personally at that stage of my life.
At this point, ill watch/read anything with Berserk on it. I already own all of the original print runs of the Manga. If I had the money, I would buy everything else.
@Lenlo: I'll be on the same boat with you regarding Berserk. I know I CAN ENDURE it (finger crossed)
Man, your season preview reminded me I soon have to watch another season of CGI Berserk. Im not going to like it, but its a trial I must go through as a hardcore Berserk fan.
Im glad they didnt lose the funny robots in their pursuit of the Grimdark
That flute into Skatman-like singing was great
@Lenlo, I had the biggest smile when Jack destroyed the robots flute and he started singing with his mouth. Looking at clips of the show on youtube I don't think I appreciated just how funny this show was. Also digging Jacks PTSD and the daughters of Aku.
Dude has problems and I loved the singing robot
Have to say, enjoyed seeing Jack again.
Thanks Aidan! Cant wait to watch it tonight
Well I suppose it is moreso samurai Jack wasn't really a large part of my childhood.
Don't know how it is for security but I never really had trouble with it.
Love me some Samurai Jack though
It may just be Malwarebytes actin up. Ill look into it and if its a false flag check it out.
I never really had any opinion of samurai Jack when it was airing.
Oh I'm enthusiastic about Kino season 2, but I want to be cautiously optimistic just in case.
But has anyone read on in the Kino novels to confirm that a second season would have good material to work with, would it fall prey to the light novel curse that apparently many of then weaken by the third volume?
The only issue I've found with kiss is that, in firefox at least, sometimes it slows down my browser but only now and then. Never had any trouble with viruses or mal/spyware on it. Though it won't allow adblock =<
@Aidan: I was surprised at Kino's Journey news as well. Yay for having a new season!!
I have no problem with kiss whatsoever regarding virus. Hehe then try to catch it at Toonami
Yeeeah, sorry, my anti-virus isnt that big a fan of kiss.
You can watch it online at kisscartoon, of course at your own risk ^^
I really want to watch the new Samurai Jack season, but I cant catch it when it airs and dont know where to find it otherwise
Plan on getting the spring season Preview up today or Tommarrow. Things basically written up so it's just a matter of getting it to look right on the site.
Who here is watching the new season of Samurai Jack? That first episode hit me hard with nostalgia. It's like he never left.
Spice and Wolf season 3 may not be so impossible after all. Or hell even a Spice and wolf full remake, FMA Brotherhood style.
Holy crap, Kino's Journey is getting a new anime. Never thought that would happen. Sweet.
Art was great, sound was great, an argument could easily be made for 9/10. Its just cohesive story and efficient use of episodes means alot to me. I kinda had to actively remind my self to watch after ep 6 and then binged 10+.
8.5/10. I really liked the start, the middle kinda lagged plot wise for me which is always my most important metric, and the last 3-4 episodes were great.
@Lenlo: how would you rate it?
@Lenlo: it's the middle part that I completely fell in love with. Well, guess that everyone have different taste huh?
So finally finished Flip Flappers. Had it on my to do list since last season. It ended pretty well imo, but the middle lagged for me in places.
HXH does pull off drama well but one thing that annoys me is how it builds up these big confrontations just to have them fizzle out. An anticlimax may be unexpected but in some case it would be more satisfying to just have things play out predictably.
And it did it better than Naruto, which had 7 years to pull that off.
I think one of the reasons HxH pulled it off so well, is because the first like 100 episodes built up to it. It pulled off the slow transition of basic shounen to well developed drama sort of thing very well. It slow rolled us basically.
Since when did HxH become a feels trip show? ep135 just ruined me, and did it better than actual 'feels trip' shows because of how unexpected and masterfully executed it was. The Chimera ant arc may have been slow, but by itself it was very FMA:B reminiscent with the huge character cast, amazing execution and the conflict in antagonists and humans and their values/morals.
@KAiser: oh man, you remind me again that I need to watch Bela Tarr's films. I remember one of the blogger was frustrated at the Turin Horse for "showing the pot of boiled potato for 10 minutes". I was cackling hard with his comment.
@Mario: The realist genre in general really clicks with me, the neo-realist movement, can't get enough of it.
Selish giant, ratcatcher and fishtank, maybe even gummo might be other good example of social realist stuff.
Bela Tarr did two accessible films in his early career called Prefab people and family nest which had a social realist feel to them.

Little Witch Academia – 11[Blue Moon]

I don’t mind the lighthearted shenanigans of Little Witch Academia but in my opinion it’s episodes like this that will truly make the show memorable. After ten episodes of mere hints as to the state of magic and it’s history we get a truckload of answers. Why is magic being considered antiquated? Because magic is […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 24

When I started this season of Rakugo I was under the impression that this would be Konatsu’s and Yotaro’s story seeing as Yakumo’s had reached it’s end. However to my dismay it appeared that halfway through the season Yakumo has hijacked the series. I previously stated that the story of Rakugo has already ended with […]

Saga of Tanya the Evil – 10[Path to Victory]

What am I to say when the majority of the episode is detailing a military operation? I admit that content has become spare in this series as of late and the Tanya vs God battle has more or less been pushed to the sideline. Tanya had one moment here where it looked like her mission […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. – 11 [Furawau’s Flowers Smell of Malice]

Really ACCA? Only one episode left and you’re still in set-up stage, with the coup is lingering in the air, but never comes in real form. In fact, ACCA is a series about setting up. Its deliberate pacing can really test the viewer’s’ patience, and I totally understand if most of you have fallen out […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 22 [New School Term – Fighter]

We get to an end of 3-gatsu run but it feels more like a new beginning. Like what I feared last week the last episode doesn’t really have a conclusive ending, instead offers us the new semester of Rei and his childhood and his shogi, which in all fairness are the weaker parts of 3-gatsu. […]

Scum’s Wish – 10 [Fragile and Empty]

This week the main spotlight is heading back to our beloved Akane and two of her relationships preys, Mugi and Narumi. Although I really like the way the show addresses each of those tainted relationships until finally we’d get to the bare bone of Mugi and Hanabi’s core relationship, this episode for me is just […]

Little Witch Academia – 10[Bee Commotion]

I remember seeing a remark someone made that Little Witch Academia would lose half it’s fanbase when the realize that they don’t like Saturday morning cartoons all that much. While most likely said in jest, I find there is a certain degree of truth in that statement. I did enjoy this episode of Little Witch […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 23

The extended epilogue continues as Yakumo returns home after the theatre burns down. Some are signifying the burning down of the theatre as the death of Rakugo while others are speaking of it as a new beginning. After all Rakugo can be performed anywhere as long as someone is willing to listen. The members of […]

Saga of Tanya the Evil – 09[Preparations for Advance]

A calm before the storm episode as the war with the Republic draws close to its climax. It’s nice to see the episode start off with Tanya trying to rationalize her actions in the previous episode. What may not be apparent from the anime is that Viktoriya has a tendency of coming up with reasons […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100