Posted by psgels on 22 March 2010 with categories: Sora no Oto

No. No, they didn’t. This didn’t just happen. It can’t be. This show was heading in such a good direction. It was so on its way to be amongst my favourite series of the Winter season. And then it pulls this. I was fearing for this show to end with a cliched route, and it actually pulls off something worse than I ever could have expected.

This is just… unbelievable. The ending went well enough, I guess. It was a bit melodramatic, but okay. Then the action starts, and the spider somehow is totally fixed again. Despite that, it’s not something that was too bad, and I had seen far worse endings at that point. However, then Kanata started playing the trumpet. And every single soldier stopped and listened. What a headdesk moment!

To think that out of all series, this show would end up pulling a “let my song stop all fighting”-ending. What a disappointment. The creators tried to save it by having Rio show up from absolutely nowhere just seconds after that, but the damage already was done for me. It’s one of the first endings I’ve seen this season, but I have no doubt that it’s going to end up as the single worst one. Yes, even Ookami Kakushi’s finale felt more satisfying than this thing.

I’m really thinking of how I’m going to end up judging this series. Before this episode, I had no doubt that my top 3 of the Winter Season would consist out of Durarara, Heartcatch Precure and Sora no Oto. After this episode, I might actually consider to put Gag Manga Biyori + in its place. This wasn’t just a bad episode, but for me it actually destroyed all of the credibility and realism that it built up in the previous things. War should have been a horrible inevitable thing. And here the characters come and solve it like it’s nothing, exactly at the most convenient time for the writers. Blegh.
Rating: —- (Abysmal)

1. DmonHiro says:

Hey idiot, this kind of stuff DOES happen.

May I point you at a very REAL event in WW2, when soldiers ACTUALLY stopped fighting during Christmas and celebrated TOGETHER? Crazy stuff like this can happen, at most likely DID as some point.

2. DmonHiro says:

My bad, WW1.

So don’t go all high and mighty that this was SOOO unrealistic it ruined the series forver.

3. Sis says:

I soo saw this coming when I saw the episode xD

4. NguyenSon says:

But the soldiers didn’t stop fighting in the middle of a battle. And it was a truce, they resumed fighting after it. I suppose the difference was that in the first world war, people actually communicated beforehand. That’s how they managed to feel empathy for the ennemy, something music can’t do by itself. The problem for this ending of Sora no woto was that there was not really a realistic build up that would lead to it.

5. DmonHiro says:

Yes, yes they did. Right IN THE MIDDLE of battle. And it wasn’t a real truce, because the acting commanders who were fighting decided on this themselves. So yes, it’s possible to stop fighting.

6. psgels psgels says:

Um… aren’t those circumsttances entirely different? Call me an idiot, but those soldiers stopped fighting on Christmas, a holiday that was celebrated everywhere, so they had something that could be celebrated together. On top of that, these soldiers had been fighting for five months in trenches already. The troops here in Sora no Oto were just about to attack each other when Kanata started playing her trumpet, finally encountering some action after months of travel. Sure, it may have happened in WWI, but I doubt that a teenaged girl with a trumpet was the sole cause for it.

7. NguyenSon says:

Maybe you have some docs to the contrary, but from what I’ve seen, in the first world war, they communicated BEFORE making the truce. And the biggest problem was still the lack of building up, if they had shown the soldier’s state of mind before the batlle with more episodes, more background (for example, showing their lassitude for the war,etc…), how they interacted with their ennemies before this, it could have been very well done. But here, it just feels lazy. You don’t make peace in the first days of war, you need to get to know your ennemies personally for this kind of thing to develope, to feel empathy.

8. PhantomX says:

It didn’t happen in the middle of battle, it was agreed upon beforehand… no one is going to stand in the line of fire to try to yell at people shooting at them to take a break for Christmas, rofl… that’s just a romanticized version of something that is poorly recorded in the history books.

There was prior communication, and the war didn’t end, they went on to kill millions more people. Keep in mind this was also just a small area/section… the war was still being fought everywhere else. Perhaps you should learn to read more than the first two lines of articles? Caps lock doesn’t make you correct either.

On to the episode… I can’t say I’m surprised at the cheese ending. With only one episode left there were only two outcomes: either Rio married the Roman prince in her sisters stead and argued for an armistice/peace, or this, and neither ending would’ve been satisfying.

9. darkerthanblackswordsman says:

No, not in the middle of fighting. How do you imagine that working, exactly? There was no fighting that Christmas.

But that’s not the point. As NguyenSon said, there needs to be build-up for something like this. In art (of any kind) if it doesn’t FEEL real, then it isn’t, and vice versa of course.

10. MsteaK says:

How is someone an idiot for stating the obvious? Christmas is interwoven in western culture as a significant day of sympathy and happyness, and you want to compare it to a mere girl playing on her musical instrument in order to stop a embryonic war? Aside from the circumstances being completely different, a story needs a thing calling build-up for this to become warrantable.

Don’t get your panties in bunch because someone critizes your favorite show, jeez.

11. KoRoMi says:

I for one enjoyed this train wreck ending.

The first half was paced too fast. Major plot-points were covered in a couple of lines each. And Filicia, I know you’re casual about rules and regulations, but pulling a gun on a superior officer? I guess she figured that Rio was her teflon cover against getting jailed, shot, or just plain chewed out, but still…

As for the battle & Kanata’s Amazing Grace saving the day… Well, it is the Minmay Defence, which was always played half for laughs in Macross anyway. When things stop making sense, sometimes, it’s just preferable to wave away the lack of logic and just enjoy the show, sort of like what Shakespeare did with the aftermath to the Battle of Agincourt, where the French casualties were reported to be ten thousand dead, versus a mere 29 English dead.

Yeah, it was an enjoyable train wreck for me. I was excited to see that Takemikazuchi can fly! Apparently, it features gravity-reduction technology and a force field cushion for landings.

12. Crayshen says:

On the bright side there are at least 2 DVD exclusive episodes, so unless they’re totally wasted it does give them time to fix/explain things better.

13. Michael says:

I honestly didn’t think it was that bad. Yes it’s cliched, but it’s a well-done cliche. The WW1 parallels were so emphasized that it really did work, and it is clear that they got their inspiration from the WW1 Christmas story (the difference of course being that this takes place AFTER a terrible destructive war). I think some people are bummed because they didn’t want such a happy ending; they wanted some death and self-sacrifice. Eh. The one thing I will agree with everyone on is that the last episode was way too rushed. It needed two episodes. That would have given it a proper buildup and preparation for a more proper happy ending.

14. m says:

They crammed almost every bit of cheese they could into this episode save for preventing Rio from becoming a concubine, but to be safe they salvaged some of that cheese by making the Roman Emperor such a swell guy that he let her play with her friends. I thought it was pretty funny, but I think the show is pretty mediocre anyway.
    Ookami-kakushi was another middling show, but it was consistently mediocre and never had any of the potential that Sora no Oto left out on the vine so the wallbanger ending just kind of fit right in.

There are a lot of funny moments in this episode:
    Leaving the James Bond alone in the basement.
    James Bond escaping when his hands were tied to a chair using a blade in his boot, and then escaping from the cellar of the fortress without being observed.
    The “Demon of Vingt” being stared down by a bunch of unarmed civilians. (Oh, I bet the Roman infantry was shaking with terror.)
    The impetus for the colonel’s desire to provoke a war.
    Kanata’s absolute pitch being used to foreshadow superhuman hearing. (No! Wrong! No cookie!)
    Aisha being patched up by people without any medical training.
    The advanced tank having to blow up the machine shop to get out. (Don’t you hate when you build your boat in a bottle?)
    The anti-climactic march of the advanced tank, which was barely capable of handling a few imitators.
    Noel was a basket-case over enabling mass murder, but in her spare time she made the advanced tank combat-ready.
    Replacing the myth for one held by people that don’t even live in the town. (Oh, but Aisha’s mother was from the town! Yeah that explains why everyone else from the town is confused…)
    The prevention of a conflict using music. (An oldy, for sure.)
    Kanata endangering herself to play music, when the tank can broadcast the song.
    Princess Irulan catching up to everyone even though they had previously been so far away they couldn’t signal anyone except Kanata.
    Helvetica was annexed through marriage. Yay! Happy ending! I can’t wait to see what the Fremen do to the heretics in Helvetica. I’m sure there will be cake.

They were pretty-much boxed into a corner with the show’s run length and the time they wasted on the slice-of-life stuff. Every time you think back to this episode, remember that they they spent a whole episode on some slap-stick phone-watching gags that ending in Kanata urinating on herself. That pretty much sums up the show.

15. panaghoy88 says:

It wasn’t that bad, at least for me. I’ve noticed that every character knew Amazing Grace and impacted their lives. I guess that’s what they were going for. This very music is the common ground of every person in this show.

16. queenie says:

Good Lord people.
    I know we all wanted a kind of unhappy ending, but COME ON.

I thought it was a good ending. And for everyone who says that all of the troops were ready to fight, did we totally skip the parts where soldiers were like “This blows. Why do we even have to fight?”? It showed that all the people involved were sick of this shit and wanted an end, which is what happened when Rio gave herself up to go and end the war.

And “Amazing Grace”? Hell, I almost cried. I thought it was a great way to say “STOP”. I agree with panaghoy88: songs are universal. Its a great way to tie that plot line up. Like when the difference in military signals came up, it was a great idea by Kanata to do that.

I personally liked how they ended this and how they went with the whole show (the pee episode I’m still out on though).

P.S. The girls tank was fixed by Noel a few episodes ago. Maybe the fact that they didn’t try it out first seems odd, but the tank was fixed.

17. Hogart says:

This was godawful. Anyone who tries to defend this by mis-citing WW1 circumstances probably thought Railgun’s crap ending was amazing and is likely to be a preteen or just a moron.

I didn’t have high hopes coming into this, but there were enough moments to hold me to the end.. and then they randomly screwed the pooch instead of building up to a second season. Oh well, serves me right for having any faith in KyoAni.

18. m says:

I don’t think I adequately communicated why I thought Noel making the tank combat-ready was funny. The only thing it had to do with when she armed the tank is that it was after she had helped murder a lot of people by enabling the use of advanced technology against her country’s enemy. This had broken her psychologically. That she would fix the tank is understandable, but that she would actually repeat the exact same mistake again by rendering it capable of fighting was pretty funny.

Just think what would have happened if jerk-face had, instead of being an idiot, taken a group of his soldiers back down whatever secret tunnel he escaped from (probably used for smuggling), retaken the fort from girls that now had no leverage, and discovered the tank.

19. Miken says:

I suppose I like the ending. I, for one, cannot actually see Sora no Woto ending in any other way than how it did. It was bound to get a happy trumpet-based ending, and that it did.

I too have to point out that the soldiers themselves already expressed an unwillingness to fight, which is probably what allowed them to be so distracted by Kanata’s music. While it does seem contrived, it really worked (at least for me). With that distraction, Rio was able to arrive in time to put an end to the war. It also helps a ton that Amazing Grace had a personal impact on me years ago, so the use of the song usually tugs my heartstrings immediately.

20. Kah says:

Personally, I would have been disappointed if the war had been stopped by any means outside of playing a trumpet. :)

@m: Hilarious points lol, one of them tjough, i think the town chose to remember the maidens in a different light in order to hide their “Crime”.

21. riddle says:

the ending was GREAT, i dont care what you say. the ending was great and stuff like this happen, expample in world war 1 war stopped for a day during christmas!

22. PhantomX says:

I have no issues with it being a happy ending. In fact, I was expecting it due to Rio’s departure and identification as a princes… it’s what ended the war anyway. The fact that they threw in the supersonic hearing and the trumpet stopping all the fighting mid-charge is what made it lame.

23. AuroraFlame says:

I’m not really sure it matters if it happens in real life. People have survived being shot in the head in real life, that doesn’t keep it from being a deus ex machina if they survive it in fiction. Going past the outliers of possibility is bound to leave things a bit unbelievable.

Despite me saying that, I really liked this series and its ending. I actually thought this show was going to have a tragic ending with a lot of deaths but looking back at the entire series, it was always going to end like this.

Anyway, I think tragic endings are becoming the new happy endings; they are become overdone and wrought with melodrama. Sora no Woto’s ending didn’t really feel like an ‘idealism trumps reality’ moment. Neither side really wanted to fight, and they were just looking for an excuse to get out of it.

24. mambo says:

Really?
    Do some stupid people here really think music alone (and played by mere little girls) can stop the war?
    If that can happen why Iraq can’t just do a musical concert to stop America?
    I agree with you, psgels, this ending just……. (can’t find word to describe how bad it is)

25. c160 says:

wow..what a horrible,cliched ending to a very wonderful series..Before watching this I thought psgels was just overreacting but yeah,this ending does deserve the abysmal rating..Yes,the soldiers was unwilling to fight,but seriously?EVERYONE stopped?what the..but I do have to point out that Noel finished fixing the tank a few episodes ago so it wasn’t really all that magical insta-fix thing happening.

26. psgels psgels says:

The issue is indeed not whether I wanted to see a bad ending, but rather one that stayed true to this series, and to solve things this easily in a show that has been grounded on realism, along with all of the other questionable events in this episode as outlined by m, I really felt betrayed by this series in the end.

27. kira says:

anime isnt supposed to be realistic! why are you even comparing this to the war thats going on in iraq that’s just stupid, this is anime for god sake, enjoy it.

28. Steelman says:

Realism? Pardon me but I somehow do not get your point. This is a show about After the End, with teenage soldiers assigned (all alone) to a somehow strategic position, and a teenage prodigy scientist to boot. I would not call this “realistic”.

Now, if what you are claiming is that so far the show was pretty cynical and it concluded with a totally idealistic ending, I still have to object. The show had positioned itself fairly in the middle of the sliding scale of idealism vs cynicism. Sure we got enough flashbacks and discussions about the cruelty of war, but the protagonist had kept her unwavering idealistic mindset throughout the show.

Honestly, I did not find the ending to be a cop out. They had built towards this type of resolution since several episodes ago, and they executed it fairly well.

This said, I think that Rio going back to the girls was a little too much cheese, but overall it is a minor complain. My main complain is that they built a wonderful setting, but still haven’t told us what exactly happened with the demon/angel, which kinda feels like a waste. Oh well, we have two more DVD episodes to figure it out.

29. Goron says:

I can understand being disappointed with the execution of the finale (or gleeful, if you love the cheese) but I can’t understand shock or even surprise at the main plot elements. The whole series up to that point had been pointing a huge “look here” finger at certain things we could expect to see before the end: 1) the tank would be made operational and would play a role in the climax; 2) The Trumpet of Destiny would play a role in the climax; 3) Amazing Grace would play a role in the climax; 4) the latter-day Maidens of the Fire would find a way to prevent a new war. I could see being disappointed in pacing of the series, and with the countless pieces of lazy writing or characterization, but surprise at the resolution? Any finale that did not include at least the 4 elements mentioned above would have been the real surprise.

30. mambo says:

Because someone already compared it to WW1?

31. AidanAK47 says:

That army guy managed to pull a Houdini there.
    What’s more amazing that the fact that he had a hidden James bond shoe knife was that he managed to cut the rope binding his hands behind the chair, with a knife that was attached to the front of his shoe. How in the hell did he manage that?! Somebody’s being practicing Yoga…..

Anyway, yes it was quite cheesy. For a cynical man such as myself I just can’t accept that two armies stopped trying to kill each other simply because a girl blew a trumpet. It a tall order to accept that.

We were all hoping for that tragic ending but instead were hit with super happy smile family wish ending.
    However if I was to change the ending myself I would say that it would be better if when they got into the tank that they were shot down and collapse in the woods. There each one of them is deeply injured except for the roman girl. The deeply urge her to run away and they all lie in the snow. One of the girls asks Kanata to play her trumpet one last time. Kanata brings it to her mouth but finds that she can’t play it well because of her injuries. They all weakly laugh and are reminded of when Kanata could play well. Then they fall unconscious. They wake up in a infirmary. The war when on while they were out but after a message about a truce was brought to a quick end. Maybe something like that.

32. Bruce says:

Eh, it wasn’t that bad. In the end all they managed to do was stall the battle for a couple of minutes while Rio was getting into the field. I doubt that would have actually stopped whatever was going to happen.

I’m more disappointed that they didn’t explain much of the old technology/war/skeleton.

33. Firechick says:

Don’t hate me for this, but I thought the ending for this is rather decent. I never expected Rio to come back though. The only thing I REALLY REALLY LOVED about this episode was that THEY BROUGHT THAT AWESOME FRENCH SONG BACK!!!

34. inkka says:

Hmm For me It’s a good ending. Don’t great and emotional as Kobato. But much better than I prediction when I have seen you comment.

At least They didn’t used the song to stop war directly like some of macross series.But they used it to buy time for Rio(That now is fiancee of the Rome’s prince OK It’s the condition).to come in the battlefield to stop the war. It’s the thing that already build-up for.

And what the problem to see people stop to hear that song. You know.It’s the song that Iliya used to play. And even Rome people know about that song(Look like when the time that these two country have wars. Iliya will concern and play this at battlefield. It’s the reason that even Kanata know that song). And Iliya isn’t the normal people. She is the princess of helvetia !!.
    And she is very kind people.(look at the way that she died.)So It didn’t strange to see people still admire her and her song too.

And if you see the soldier and people’s reaction. They suffer enough form war.(At least the main girls have some of sad experience too. So this reason can worked). They fight because the higher say them to fight. but It didn’t the thing that they truly want to do. Thay want peace !!

I’m happy to see the peace too. Once that war anime didn’t have true war.The Era that always have war every day has passed.(This anime want to tell us about that for sure). It’s time for peaceful now.

35. psgels psgels says:

Firechick: I’ve been noticing that whenever you disagree with me, you put up disclaimers as “don’t hate me”, et cetera. I just wanted to say that there’s no need for me to hate you, as I don’t mind it at all when people have their own opinion. ;)

Really, that ‘abysmal’ rating is very much my own reaction after watching that episode. I can very much imagine that other people would have completely different ones.

@Kaiser, Horriblesubs do direct downloads.
Animefans ftw is dead, animetake doesn't do direct downloads =< Have to find new direct download site now =<
Just finished Rage of Bahamut and I have to say I didn't expect an emotional climax. Also Rita is the best in show here. But really I don't see the prospect of sequel, especially a 24-episodes one.
Evidently so. That still feels just wrong. He's sort of her father. Ehhhh
"I am a slave to my own blood" -Konatsu.
Aldnoah needed actually interesting characters and character arcs instead of boring assholes. Why does it need more time on the lore when it's just generic scifi jib
One minor thing that baffled me beside *that* in Rakugo was they don't show Konatsu's rakugo in the end. It makes more sense if we can see her perform, but I understand that the show have to put new rakugo material and that was impposible.
@Aidan: I think *that twist* is sweet (not). Points for the show for having a balls to address that, but...
And that's Rakugo finished. A delayed finale but non the less a satisfying one....Though on the matter of *that* I am going full head canon and pretending it didn't happen. Because HELL FUCKING NO.
HelghastKillzone
Troyca's Aldnoah.Zero was 24 eps long but it really needed 50 to flesh out concepts and lore.
HelghastKillzone
*Virgin Soul
HelghastKillzone
Apparently, Virgin is going to be 24 episodes and Re:creators is 22 eps long. I don't know how to feel about that.
Catching up with Rage of Bahamoth myself. Say I really enjoy what I see so far. Characters are its weakest part and pacing is uneven, but everything else work quite well
... Feherlofia is Hungarian one. But I have a really fond feeling towards Soviet and those ex-communist animation. Movies as well
@Kaiser: yep, know both of them. Actually
@Topgavin: wuah your love with Madoka. I was like watching that show for 3 times, but Rebellion just once. I still think that Rebellion adds up to the series narratively. Shaft (be themselves) put a lots of extra background details to the Bluray version, so I'm sure you can't go wrong watching Madoka on Bluray.
Guess I'm just in the mood for some comfycore anime. =)
There's really stuff I need to get round to watching like alderman and chain chronicle, giving utawerumono's s2 another chance, watching those dumb old golgo ovas, catching up on Shamo and city hunter where I left off.
@Mario: If you are looking for something to review for the world animation project, I recommend Fehérlófia , a Soviet era psychadelic folktale animation. Also look into the available short animations by Alexander Petrov (he uses a style of animation which mixes oil painting on glass).
Konstantinos Travlos
Finished watching Chain Chronicle :Light of Hacchetias (TV version). While not something to write home about it was not bad. It did a tried old recipe well.
@SuperMario, we dont have to, but its fun to try and pinpoint the real-world timeline to the shows timeline.

@Topgavin, oh yeah. Madoka is amazing.
Just finished watching the Madoka Magica series, 4th rewatch but 1st time on blurays. The show is such a work of art, and I was surprised by the sheer quality of the backgrounds in the blurays. It looked 3x as expensive to make as the normal show, Shaft must've poured a lot of money into post-screening editing.
They are all just average shows to be honest, but at least they're deserved to have full reviews.
and just an update for readers, I intend to give full reviews on shows that I followed but haven't covered here, starting from this seasons. The verdicts are: Seiren, Demi-chan, Dragon Maid and Hand Shakers
Do we really need to know all the historical context to enjoy/ appreciate Tanya? I think making a comparison does have influence in your expectation of the show in later events.
But this is all from wiki articles, since the last time I actually studied WW1 & 2 was in highschool. So im alittle rough on the subject :P
I thought, time-wise, we were past WW1, but this was in reference to how Germany at the end of WW1 was defeated, but not destroyed, which allowed them to rebuild enough to start WW2. You know, that famous quote "This is not peace, this is an Armstice for 20 years".

Thought it was a reversal of that.
@Mario: Just one more note on silent voice, only one of those three omitted subplots I felt worth taking issue with, they leave out a couple scenes that flesh out Shoko's mother more.
@Helgast, while that fairly obviously hinted at, don't spoil future events.
HelghastKillzone
@Lenlo We are way past the stalemate of WW1 and onto this anime's interpretation of the Battle of Dunkirk. Season Two is gonna be fighting against the Brits, Americans, the French Resistance and the Soviets.
I did some reading up, since WW1 & 2 arnt the points in history im really into, and I get her anger now. If they get a second season, possible time skip to WW2 because of it?

The episode was great btw, she just seemed to come out relatively unscathed for what she went through
@Lenlo, It annoyed me that she got injured but then magically healed within the next scene but otherwise I loved the episode. It may be difficult to grasp in the show but if you know your history then you would realise just why Tanya was so bent out of shape. In truth this was Tanya's first major loss. One that renders her previous victories utterly worthless.
@Anon, Your gonna have to elaborate on that "Most." When it comes to the three shows I was covering this season I thought I was praising them quite a bit. Only thing really bothering me is Rakugo stretching out it's ending. Otherwise this is one of the best seasons of anime I have seen in quite a while.
Hell yeahh, OwariMonogatari will air next Summer season. I'm hyped. Thank you Shaft
But it's good to hear your opinions on that. Like you said, honest opinion is good so I hope to hear more from reader's comments
@Anon958618: We writers are here to give you readers our personal impressions, and of course if we don't like a show we'd give the reasons why we don't like it, we can't really say otherwise if we found an episode to be sub-par. Personally, I have nothing but praise on my posts to the point I think I have to be stricter :)
I used to like reading this blog, but I find that most of the posts now are overly negative. Although I think honest opinion is good, it's a bit of a turn off in my opinion for readers...
Its nice to see everyone grown up in Rakugo. Old Yotaro and Konatsu. Also, how in the heck is Matsuda stil alive. That man was old when Yakumo was young. Finally, people need to stop telling that story if its gonna haunt everyone, I mean jeez.
It's Tanya for me next ^^
It ends happily. But go and see the twist. They make it like the most natural thing of all
Watchin Rakugo next. It end well?
Tanya disappointed me alittle. There was a change to actually hurt Tanya, but nope, she still comes out of it unharmed. She hurt herself more when she blew herself up than when someone else blew her up. Least shes seemingly drunk on war.
so sad to see Rakugo end... And that little twist. How can they make that twist so poetic?
@Lenlo: me & Kaiser? We were talking about the movie Koe to Katachi/ A Silent Voice
I must have missed something, because I have no idea idea what is being talked about.
@Kaiser: I purposely put off the manga so I could watch the movie with fresh perspective. 2 weeks until we have a screening here
@kaiser: woah, thanks Kaiser. I know packaging a 6-volume manga into a feature film means they have to cut quite a lot of subplots, I just hope the main plot is going to be rewarding
Actually, there aren't that many manga that portray disabled characters, not even hentai.
@Mario: One of the people I got talking to after the film talked about Clannad and we both laughed about "what if Lars van Trier worked at Key"
Rakugo you are now on hold again until you end.
@Mario: I look forward to your review of it.
@Mario: There were, because I talked to the audience afterwards and looked around, people who weren’t familiar with anime there, so it does have a wider appeal.
While cheesy/melodramatic obviously its nonetheless heartfelt and well executed.
The voice actress for Shoko is required to well, I can only call it deaf-voice-talk and she pulls it off quite well, it’s never cringy or forced.
Comparatively to other anime dealing at any point with bullying this does fare better and because it’s animated by kyoani, visually it’ll catch interest. The protaganists regret and redemption story still remains a very watchable one/theme.
@Mario: Putting a voice on Kawai and Ueno will make you rage at them more.
While I didn’t think it was too bad/overly used, you’re going to have to do with the maudlin piano score Kyoani gives it.
@Mario: At 130 minutes it’s a little lengthy, especially for an anime film, there is the feeling of attempting to stuff in the manga, three subplots at least have been removed/shortened yet at the same time despite the skipping in parts it does still feel long/aimless. Based on that I did feel it flows better in manga format.
@Mario: @Mario: I just came home from seeing koe to katachi/silent voice. Can't really say enough to fill a review, but it gets the general 3 1/2 out of 5 from me.
Warning the next few posts contain words words words:
But I can take or leave Kaiju stuff.
Wheras Mothra was the most fun.
Aside from that, I've seen a few Godzilla films, Mothra vs Godzilla, shin Godzilla, Garth Edwards Godzilla, 90s American Godzilla and original 50s, the 90s one has aged horribly, the recent American one felt more faithful, the 50s one and the new Japanese one feel most socially relevent.
Wait...whah, why'd I get logged out I registered =<
I previously had no interest in a Godzilla Anime film. But after reading the concept here I am now very very interested: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-03-24/godzilla-anime-film-reveals-full-title-story-new-visual-november-premiere/.113863
@Kaiser: they are still around. And believe it or not the actual band members are Damon Albarn (former lead singer of Blur) taking care of all the music and Jamie Hewlett who taking of the animation. I love alternative music, I can enjoy hip-hop music and I'm a fan of animation => this band basically has everything I personally love
@Mario: Kaiser here, posting from public computer. I had no idea the gorillaz were still around, many years ago I would have listened to their Clint Eastwood song, aswell as dirty harry and feel good inc, I also remember the artstyle of their videos catching my attention.
Anyone here listen to Gorillaz? They're one of my favorite band and their new song Saturnz Barz is great. Excited for their coming album now
I guess I'm considering blood blockade also because I'm burnt out o demanding and old films to some extent.
@Kaiser: I really enjoyed the first season of Blockade. It's one of those cases where I think the delayed of the last episode killed all the exciment regarding the show. I actually fall behind and then catched up again as soon as the last episode was out so I enjoyed everything so much more
@Aidan: makes me really wonder why some of the studios are very uptight about their show's details. Like, they have to know if it is a short series or not, right.
Yet its not exactly a show that fits into being my thing.
Blood blockade battlefront is one of those shows that is always in the back of my head, despite negative biasI managed to at least enjoy some of gungrave, I grew up, sort of with trigun, so with blockade having Yuji Nightow involved theres always that part of me that says to watch blood blockade battlefront.
This is one of the annoying things about previews. You got o the trouble of looking it up and writing on it only for it to get delayed or turn out to be a short series.
ohh, Blood Blockade Battlefront moves back to October airing. I might have a chance to cover it after all. Though look at how it gets delay and the change of director, it yells more concerns than optimism
Yep, Manga is completed at 6 Volumes. But it's kinda weird that the series managed to cover 6 volumes when it's so slow paced. I normally thought that 5 to 6 episodes was needed to cover a manga volume on average.
@anon954341: ACCA will finish in 1 cour, as the manga is already completed and from what I heard episode 11 & 12 cover the last 5 chapters of the manga.
is Acca 13's story going to finish in 1 cour, or is it still ongoing?
Honestly do wonder how much longer anime blogging will be a thing and how much they have to compete with popular youtuber's channels.
I once had some idea of doing a forum with a friend, it never went anywhere.
Aidan gave good advice anon, I still found old posts from when I was teenager archived somewhere online and it made me facepalm.
Eh, I wanted to throw myself into Mario and your conversation about personalities by talking about myself, force of habit.
@Kaiser, Not sure what this rambling is about but good for you...I guess?
@Anon, Blogs take a lot of work for very little in return. I wouldn't try starting one unless you are ready to make a huge commitment. Besides at your age(Based on that comment) it would be best to not put too much on the internet. The internet never forgets and it can come back to haunt you later in life.
The reason I bring some of this up is because I think that even if someone isn't the most emotional person out there, they shouldn't ignore/bash on certain shows/genres because of that, even if you don't get feelings out of it, the story/drama/characters could still be worthwhile.
I do think getting pissed off though is much easier irl than doing it online where it doesn't bother me as much.
And it surprises me alot that I followed so many romance manga years ago, enjoyed them, but I've never been a romantic person irl at all.
I also hate incompetence/failure and am generally not especially patient.
I care about others and appearances mainly to extent it either is of benefit, if I have to or it avoids hassle.
People tend to think I'm cold, articulate, blunt irl too.
I'm not a sentimental or passionette/emotional person irl, I don't like wasting time with other peoples shit and don't bother with it, avoid looking at people or touching them physically, talk in long dry speeches and in general come off as a quiet, reserved but snarky/cynical person.
I probably unknowingly come off as different on this site than I would irl.
Honestly I'd veer towards depressing or surreal/strange/messed up work more out of just wanting to see weird and depressing stuff happen and little else, just interests me, I can't remember the last time I cried.
um i wanted to make my own blog but it wants a email but i dont want my parents finding out
It is weird how we never clash on what we want to cover on each season. Anyway I need someone to contrast my egotisical self so it's all good.
haha, Aidan: heartless grumpy monster & Mario: sentimental sappy bloke. Readers, you got yourself quite an odd combination of writers here.
Anonymous951955
We'll see; trailers can give false impressions
Anonymous951955
Not that all changes from source adaptations are terrible, but in this case, at least the trailer makes it look pretty bad.
Anonymous951955
It looks not great; I understand the need to change it a bit to suit the format/audience, but at what point does it turn from adaption to "loosely based on"?
HelghastKillzone
I'm glad we're past the phase of moe club shows.
@Helghast, now that's something I never thought I would hear.
HelghastKillzone
Hell ya. We are in a golden age of anime that is filled with options and quality.
What a great week! Iron Blooded Orphans, Onihei, Little Witch Academia and ACCA 13 all had great episodes! I am spoiled!
@Anon and @Aikan

The LoGH manga remake has been out. It did not work for me.

I hope he anime goes its own way. I do trust Production IG, so I hope. I think it might not be this year. No lgoic, just a hunch.
@Anon, Only info I can find is that it's coming out this year and it will be by Production IG. But I think you are right in that if it;s coming this year it will definitely be winter.
Feeling rather cautious about the remake myself. LoGH is dated visually but in a way it is a product of it's time and things you could forgive in the old version wouldn't be so forgivable in the new.
Does anybody know when that LoGH readaptation is coming? It's supposed to be this year right? Probably winter right?
But I will give it a full review anyways because all the amount of time I spent in that series should be paid off somehow, right?
But serious Gohands is a studio that had potential its just a shame its wasted on rubbish writers. Although I did like mardock scramble, because cyberpunk =)
If I met handshakers in public I'd refuse to shake its hand =D
Oh, it's actually just an extra Hand Shakers episode that serves as a prequel story. Not that bad then
Not to disregard Hand Shakers, but the best way to describe how I feel about that series is mind-numbing
They tried with that Military guy and his daughter but not by much.
But I do agree that there needs to be more to the characters, right now its JUST Tanya.
As for Tanya, having caught up with it, its a nice trashy guilty pleasure, especially due to the protagonist and I enjoy the setting because I'm a war film fan and like some of the action/politicking. I still do wish it was aesthetically a bit better. The dub isn't that bad and I'd welcome a second season.
In an ideal world Kino's journey would have been a good model for what light novel adaptations can be and SHOULD be.
If we must have more light novel adaptations, I would prefer them to be like Tanya, Muvluv, okay hardly breathtaking, but still better than that thing Aidan linked.
*Sigh* It looks exactly how I imagined it would and its terrible.
Please dont tell me thats an actual title.
In another world with my smart phone light novel to get an anime.

Oh my god...This literally sounds like a joke title you would see within an anime. Tried giving it an honest chance by reading it and it's just shit. Just pure terrible.
If people in Japan are actually buying blurays thinking its a good show then something is seriously wrong with the world.
@Topgavin, maybe too many people watched it because it was so terrible. I haven't watched past episode 1 but it doesn't sound like it improved.
Just incase you guys were avidly waiting for the announcement, Hand Shakers is getting a prequel season because it's apparently selling well......
Should be happy for it, though I'm a bit disappointed that I can't be able to cover it
Inside Mari gets live-action series adaptation. Why not anime?? Duh
Spike
Little Witch Academia finally tips it's hand on the overall plot! I'm pretty pleased and think some direction might help bump it up from just being 'good' overall.
HelghastKillzone
@KTravlos Still watching it week by week and I'll write up a review on the second season of Iron-Blooded when it ends.
@Mario: It is however the kind of anime film that would have the wide audience appeal though, as in anime for people who don't watch anime.
@Kaiser: just prove that people has paid attention to anime. That's an encouraging sign actually
Feck, silent voice was booked out when I got there just now....should have booked in advance, showing at 7:00 on Friday booking it now.
@KTravlos: I haven't, but that more because I'm not a big fan of Mecha genre. I believe one of our writer HelghastKillzone still follow the series
No idea, if you are all still watching MS Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans. I am, and while the 2nd Season toned down some of the elements that made the 1st Season good, it is still pretty good with the last episode doing a great job. If it keeps it, it definitely is head to head with Turn A Gundam for my favorite long-form Gundam Series (I am doing Gundam Origins for the original story)
Mhmm. It was one of those shows it weave adult themes into a kids show, so it had something for both. Now I can also appreciate the artstyle that doesnt use hard black outlines for everything.
If anything I get so much more out of Samurai Jack now than when I watched it as a kid.
Love that dude Aidan. And yes Kaiser, I think anyone get enjoy it now. I love that its back, but even without that its easily standing on its own
How much of this love of samurai jack is a nostalgia driven thing? I'm not knocking that nostalgia but would it be possible to get something out of the show now if I never watched it when I was younger?
Yeah, that conversation was great. Really shows you how messed up hes become. Its also amazing when you realize that was the last set of spoken dialogue in the episode. There was not a single word uttered in the second half.
The audience who enjoyed samurai Jack has grown up, them bringing up seppuku and blood is possibly a part of that.
Scene with the coffins was awesome as was the fight in the dark. My personal favorite part of the episode though was Jack arguing with his old design self. And young jack suggesting committing seppuku made my eyebrows raise. I mean..damn.
I agree Aidan. That quick shot of Jack vs the Daughter, with the sudden blood, suprised me as much as it did Jack. I really loved the scene with the coffins. The music nad sound was just great there.
@Lenlo, It was a really great episode. I love the meta of Jack being worn down by the wait and the wait the viewers had to endure for the new season. I is rather odd seeing blood in Samurai Jack though but it does make that particular moment have so much more impact.
April 16th for NZ. It is a lesser known movie than Kimi no na wa though, so I do wonder how available it's going to be in cinemas
This second episode of Jack was really just amazing. Its making full use of the new budget/tech for the art and of the new rating, along with the impact the timeskip would have on Jack. The cinematography was superb as well.
@Kaiser: Koe ko machi will creen in Aussie in the beginning of April as well. I'll go to watch it; but I would love to jear your thoughts on the movie.
There is a preview screening of koe to kachi on Monday night, depending I may go, I may review it or at least talk about it on here.
I'm dying waiting for the Blame! anime film adaptation to come out in May. I've wanted an adaptation for years.
And I'm too much of a cheap-ass to actually buy anything, don't even use legal streaming for films or anime/manga/comics, pirate almost everything.
Or shelves for that matter.
I've fallen out of the collectors thing pretty much entirely. I don't like to advertise any of my interests on my bedroom wall either.
Some years ago I ended up selling almost all of my anime dvds/vhs and manga, comic books aswell, took down my posters and moved what figures I had left into attic boxes , just no space for it and it was a good way to get some quick extra cash.
I love Rakugo as well, im not meaning to bad talk it at all. I simply also agree with Aiden that slow rolling us with Yakumo's death was poorly done and that its feeling stretched.

Scum’s Wish – 11 [A Kind God]

It’s strange, for a show that almost certainly make viewers furious one way or another, be it totally love it or hate it; I remain indifferent for last couple of episode. The thing is, I can’t ship this Akane – Narumi relationship, because I’ve witnessed this kind of relationship in real life before and it […]

Little Witch Academia – 11[Blue Moon]

I don’t mind the lighthearted shenanigans of Little Witch Academia but in my opinion it’s episodes like this that will truly make the show memorable. After ten episodes of mere hints as to the state of magic and it’s history we get a truckload of answers. Why is magic being considered antiquated? Because magic is […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 24

When I started this season of Rakugo I was under the impression that this would be Konatsu’s and Yotaro’s story seeing as Yakumo’s had reached it’s end. However to my dismay it appeared that halfway through the season Yakumo has hijacked the series. I previously stated that the story of Rakugo has already ended with […]

Saga of Tanya the Evil – 10[Path to Victory]

What am I to say when the majority of the episode is detailing a military operation? I admit that content has become spare in this series as of late and the Tanya vs God battle has more or less been pushed to the sideline. Tanya had one moment here where it looked like her mission […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. – 11 [Furawau’s Flowers Smell of Malice]

Really ACCA? Only one episode left and you’re still in set-up stage, with the coup is lingering in the air, but never comes in real form. In fact, ACCA is a series about setting up. Its deliberate pacing can really test the viewer’s’ patience, and I totally understand if most of you have fallen out […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 22 [New School Term – Fighter]

We get to an end of 3-gatsu run but it feels more like a new beginning. Like what I feared last week the last episode doesn’t really have a conclusive ending, instead offers us the new semester of Rei and his childhood and his shogi, which in all fairness are the weaker parts of 3-gatsu. […]

Scum’s Wish – 10 [Fragile and Empty]

This week the main spotlight is heading back to our beloved Akane and two of her relationships preys, Mugi and Narumi. Although I really like the way the show addresses each of those tainted relationships until finally we’d get to the bare bone of Mugi and Hanabi’s core relationship, this episode for me is just […]

Little Witch Academia – 10[Bee Commotion]

I remember seeing a remark someone made that Little Witch Academia would lose half it’s fanbase when the realize that they don’t like Saturday morning cartoons all that much. While most likely said in jest, I find there is a certain degree of truth in that statement. I did enjoy this episode of Little Witch […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 23

The extended epilogue continues as Yakumo returns home after the theatre burns down. Some are signifying the burning down of the theatre as the death of Rakugo while others are speaking of it as a new beginning. After all Rakugo can be performed anywhere as long as someone is willing to listen. The members of […]

Seiren (Winter 2017) Review – 51/100

Let me say this out front, Seiren is NOT a good show, it’s a highly uneven one. Throughout its run, I can see some solid moments and fresh ideas that could potentially raise it above the bar, but ultimately, view it as a whole, Seiren is a show that isn’t worth recommending. At first, I’m […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100