Posted by psgels on 22 March 2010 with categories: Sora no Oto

No. No, they didn’t. This didn’t just happen. It can’t be. This show was heading in such a good direction. It was so on its way to be amongst my favourite series of the Winter season. And then it pulls this. I was fearing for this show to end with a cliched route, and it actually pulls off something worse than I ever could have expected.

This is just… unbelievable. The ending went well enough, I guess. It was a bit melodramatic, but okay. Then the action starts, and the spider somehow is totally fixed again. Despite that, it’s not something that was too bad, and I had seen far worse endings at that point. However, then Kanata started playing the trumpet. And every single soldier stopped and listened. What a headdesk moment!

To think that out of all series, this show would end up pulling a “let my song stop all fighting”-ending. What a disappointment. The creators tried to save it by having Rio show up from absolutely nowhere just seconds after that, but the damage already was done for me. It’s one of the first endings I’ve seen this season, but I have no doubt that it’s going to end up as the single worst one. Yes, even Ookami Kakushi’s finale felt more satisfying than this thing.

I’m really thinking of how I’m going to end up judging this series. Before this episode, I had no doubt that my top 3 of the Winter Season would consist out of Durarara, Heartcatch Precure and Sora no Oto. After this episode, I might actually consider to put Gag Manga Biyori + in its place. This wasn’t just a bad episode, but for me it actually destroyed all of the credibility and realism that it built up in the previous things. War should have been a horrible inevitable thing. And here the characters come and solve it like it’s nothing, exactly at the most convenient time for the writers. Blegh.
Rating: —- (Abysmal)

1. DmonHiro says:

Hey idiot, this kind of stuff DOES happen.

May I point you at a very REAL event in WW2, when soldiers ACTUALLY stopped fighting during Christmas and celebrated TOGETHER? Crazy stuff like this can happen, at most likely DID as some point.

2. DmonHiro says:

My bad, WW1.

So don’t go all high and mighty that this was SOOO unrealistic it ruined the series forver.

3. Sis says:

I soo saw this coming when I saw the episode xD

4. NguyenSon says:

But the soldiers didn’t stop fighting in the middle of a battle. And it was a truce, they resumed fighting after it. I suppose the difference was that in the first world war, people actually communicated beforehand. That’s how they managed to feel empathy for the ennemy, something music can’t do by itself. The problem for this ending of Sora no woto was that there was not really a realistic build up that would lead to it.

5. DmonHiro says:

Yes, yes they did. Right IN THE MIDDLE of battle. And it wasn’t a real truce, because the acting commanders who were fighting decided on this themselves. So yes, it’s possible to stop fighting.

6. psgels psgels says:

Um… aren’t those circumsttances entirely different? Call me an idiot, but those soldiers stopped fighting on Christmas, a holiday that was celebrated everywhere, so they had something that could be celebrated together. On top of that, these soldiers had been fighting for five months in trenches already. The troops here in Sora no Oto were just about to attack each other when Kanata started playing her trumpet, finally encountering some action after months of travel. Sure, it may have happened in WWI, but I doubt that a teenaged girl with a trumpet was the sole cause for it.

7. NguyenSon says:

Maybe you have some docs to the contrary, but from what I’ve seen, in the first world war, they communicated BEFORE making the truce. And the biggest problem was still the lack of building up, if they had shown the soldier’s state of mind before the batlle with more episodes, more background (for example, showing their lassitude for the war,etc…), how they interacted with their ennemies before this, it could have been very well done. But here, it just feels lazy. You don’t make peace in the first days of war, you need to get to know your ennemies personally for this kind of thing to develope, to feel empathy.

8. PhantomX says:

It didn’t happen in the middle of battle, it was agreed upon beforehand… no one is going to stand in the line of fire to try to yell at people shooting at them to take a break for Christmas, rofl… that’s just a romanticized version of something that is poorly recorded in the history books.

There was prior communication, and the war didn’t end, they went on to kill millions more people. Keep in mind this was also just a small area/section… the war was still being fought everywhere else. Perhaps you should learn to read more than the first two lines of articles? Caps lock doesn’t make you correct either.

On to the episode… I can’t say I’m surprised at the cheese ending. With only one episode left there were only two outcomes: either Rio married the Roman prince in her sisters stead and argued for an armistice/peace, or this, and neither ending would’ve been satisfying.

9. darkerthanblackswordsman says:

No, not in the middle of fighting. How do you imagine that working, exactly? There was no fighting that Christmas.

But that’s not the point. As NguyenSon said, there needs to be build-up for something like this. In art (of any kind) if it doesn’t FEEL real, then it isn’t, and vice versa of course.

10. MsteaK says:

How is someone an idiot for stating the obvious? Christmas is interwoven in western culture as a significant day of sympathy and happyness, and you want to compare it to a mere girl playing on her musical instrument in order to stop a embryonic war? Aside from the circumstances being completely different, a story needs a thing calling build-up for this to become warrantable.

Don’t get your panties in bunch because someone critizes your favorite show, jeez.

11. KoRoMi says:

I for one enjoyed this train wreck ending.

The first half was paced too fast. Major plot-points were covered in a couple of lines each. And Filicia, I know you’re casual about rules and regulations, but pulling a gun on a superior officer? I guess she figured that Rio was her teflon cover against getting jailed, shot, or just plain chewed out, but still…

As for the battle & Kanata’s Amazing Grace saving the day… Well, it is the Minmay Defence, which was always played half for laughs in Macross anyway. When things stop making sense, sometimes, it’s just preferable to wave away the lack of logic and just enjoy the show, sort of like what Shakespeare did with the aftermath to the Battle of Agincourt, where the French casualties were reported to be ten thousand dead, versus a mere 29 English dead.

Yeah, it was an enjoyable train wreck for me. I was excited to see that Takemikazuchi can fly! Apparently, it features gravity-reduction technology and a force field cushion for landings.

12. Crayshen says:

On the bright side there are at least 2 DVD exclusive episodes, so unless they’re totally wasted it does give them time to fix/explain things better.

13. Michael says:

I honestly didn’t think it was that bad. Yes it’s cliched, but it’s a well-done cliche. The WW1 parallels were so emphasized that it really did work, and it is clear that they got their inspiration from the WW1 Christmas story (the difference of course being that this takes place AFTER a terrible destructive war). I think some people are bummed because they didn’t want such a happy ending; they wanted some death and self-sacrifice. Eh. The one thing I will agree with everyone on is that the last episode was way too rushed. It needed two episodes. That would have given it a proper buildup and preparation for a more proper happy ending.

14. m says:

They crammed almost every bit of cheese they could into this episode save for preventing Rio from becoming a concubine, but to be safe they salvaged some of that cheese by making the Roman Emperor such a swell guy that he let her play with her friends. I thought it was pretty funny, but I think the show is pretty mediocre anyway.
    Ookami-kakushi was another middling show, but it was consistently mediocre and never had any of the potential that Sora no Oto left out on the vine so the wallbanger ending just kind of fit right in.

There are a lot of funny moments in this episode:
    Leaving the James Bond alone in the basement.
    James Bond escaping when his hands were tied to a chair using a blade in his boot, and then escaping from the cellar of the fortress without being observed.
    The “Demon of Vingt” being stared down by a bunch of unarmed civilians. (Oh, I bet the Roman infantry was shaking with terror.)
    The impetus for the colonel’s desire to provoke a war.
    Kanata’s absolute pitch being used to foreshadow superhuman hearing. (No! Wrong! No cookie!)
    Aisha being patched up by people without any medical training.
    The advanced tank having to blow up the machine shop to get out. (Don’t you hate when you build your boat in a bottle?)
    The anti-climactic march of the advanced tank, which was barely capable of handling a few imitators.
    Noel was a basket-case over enabling mass murder, but in her spare time she made the advanced tank combat-ready.
    Replacing the myth for one held by people that don’t even live in the town. (Oh, but Aisha’s mother was from the town! Yeah that explains why everyone else from the town is confused…)
    The prevention of a conflict using music. (An oldy, for sure.)
    Kanata endangering herself to play music, when the tank can broadcast the song.
    Princess Irulan catching up to everyone even though they had previously been so far away they couldn’t signal anyone except Kanata.
    Helvetica was annexed through marriage. Yay! Happy ending! I can’t wait to see what the Fremen do to the heretics in Helvetica. I’m sure there will be cake.

They were pretty-much boxed into a corner with the show’s run length and the time they wasted on the slice-of-life stuff. Every time you think back to this episode, remember that they they spent a whole episode on some slap-stick phone-watching gags that ending in Kanata urinating on herself. That pretty much sums up the show.

15. panaghoy88 says:

It wasn’t that bad, at least for me. I’ve noticed that every character knew Amazing Grace and impacted their lives. I guess that’s what they were going for. This very music is the common ground of every person in this show.

16. queenie says:

Good Lord people.
    I know we all wanted a kind of unhappy ending, but COME ON.

I thought it was a good ending. And for everyone who says that all of the troops were ready to fight, did we totally skip the parts where soldiers were like “This blows. Why do we even have to fight?”? It showed that all the people involved were sick of this shit and wanted an end, which is what happened when Rio gave herself up to go and end the war.

And “Amazing Grace”? Hell, I almost cried. I thought it was a great way to say “STOP”. I agree with panaghoy88: songs are universal. Its a great way to tie that plot line up. Like when the difference in military signals came up, it was a great idea by Kanata to do that.

I personally liked how they ended this and how they went with the whole show (the pee episode I’m still out on though).

P.S. The girls tank was fixed by Noel a few episodes ago. Maybe the fact that they didn’t try it out first seems odd, but the tank was fixed.

17. Hogart says:

This was godawful. Anyone who tries to defend this by mis-citing WW1 circumstances probably thought Railgun’s crap ending was amazing and is likely to be a preteen or just a moron.

I didn’t have high hopes coming into this, but there were enough moments to hold me to the end.. and then they randomly screwed the pooch instead of building up to a second season. Oh well, serves me right for having any faith in KyoAni.

18. m says:

I don’t think I adequately communicated why I thought Noel making the tank combat-ready was funny. The only thing it had to do with when she armed the tank is that it was after she had helped murder a lot of people by enabling the use of advanced technology against her country’s enemy. This had broken her psychologically. That she would fix the tank is understandable, but that she would actually repeat the exact same mistake again by rendering it capable of fighting was pretty funny.

Just think what would have happened if jerk-face had, instead of being an idiot, taken a group of his soldiers back down whatever secret tunnel he escaped from (probably used for smuggling), retaken the fort from girls that now had no leverage, and discovered the tank.

19. Miken says:

I suppose I like the ending. I, for one, cannot actually see Sora no Woto ending in any other way than how it did. It was bound to get a happy trumpet-based ending, and that it did.

I too have to point out that the soldiers themselves already expressed an unwillingness to fight, which is probably what allowed them to be so distracted by Kanata’s music. While it does seem contrived, it really worked (at least for me). With that distraction, Rio was able to arrive in time to put an end to the war. It also helps a ton that Amazing Grace had a personal impact on me years ago, so the use of the song usually tugs my heartstrings immediately.

20. Kah says:

Personally, I would have been disappointed if the war had been stopped by any means outside of playing a trumpet. :)

@m: Hilarious points lol, one of them tjough, i think the town chose to remember the maidens in a different light in order to hide their “Crime”.

21. riddle says:

the ending was GREAT, i dont care what you say. the ending was great and stuff like this happen, expample in world war 1 war stopped for a day during christmas!

22. PhantomX says:

I have no issues with it being a happy ending. In fact, I was expecting it due to Rio’s departure and identification as a princes… it’s what ended the war anyway. The fact that they threw in the supersonic hearing and the trumpet stopping all the fighting mid-charge is what made it lame.

23. AuroraFlame says:

I’m not really sure it matters if it happens in real life. People have survived being shot in the head in real life, that doesn’t keep it from being a deus ex machina if they survive it in fiction. Going past the outliers of possibility is bound to leave things a bit unbelievable.

Despite me saying that, I really liked this series and its ending. I actually thought this show was going to have a tragic ending with a lot of deaths but looking back at the entire series, it was always going to end like this.

Anyway, I think tragic endings are becoming the new happy endings; they are become overdone and wrought with melodrama. Sora no Woto’s ending didn’t really feel like an ‘idealism trumps reality’ moment. Neither side really wanted to fight, and they were just looking for an excuse to get out of it.

24. mambo says:

Really?
    Do some stupid people here really think music alone (and played by mere little girls) can stop the war?
    If that can happen why Iraq can’t just do a musical concert to stop America?
    I agree with you, psgels, this ending just……. (can’t find word to describe how bad it is)

25. c160 says:

wow..what a horrible,cliched ending to a very wonderful series..Before watching this I thought psgels was just overreacting but yeah,this ending does deserve the abysmal rating..Yes,the soldiers was unwilling to fight,but seriously?EVERYONE stopped?what the..but I do have to point out that Noel finished fixing the tank a few episodes ago so it wasn’t really all that magical insta-fix thing happening.

26. psgels psgels says:

The issue is indeed not whether I wanted to see a bad ending, but rather one that stayed true to this series, and to solve things this easily in a show that has been grounded on realism, along with all of the other questionable events in this episode as outlined by m, I really felt betrayed by this series in the end.

27. kira says:

anime isnt supposed to be realistic! why are you even comparing this to the war thats going on in iraq that’s just stupid, this is anime for god sake, enjoy it.

28. Steelman says:

Realism? Pardon me but I somehow do not get your point. This is a show about After the End, with teenage soldiers assigned (all alone) to a somehow strategic position, and a teenage prodigy scientist to boot. I would not call this “realistic”.

Now, if what you are claiming is that so far the show was pretty cynical and it concluded with a totally idealistic ending, I still have to object. The show had positioned itself fairly in the middle of the sliding scale of idealism vs cynicism. Sure we got enough flashbacks and discussions about the cruelty of war, but the protagonist had kept her unwavering idealistic mindset throughout the show.

Honestly, I did not find the ending to be a cop out. They had built towards this type of resolution since several episodes ago, and they executed it fairly well.

This said, I think that Rio going back to the girls was a little too much cheese, but overall it is a minor complain. My main complain is that they built a wonderful setting, but still haven’t told us what exactly happened with the demon/angel, which kinda feels like a waste. Oh well, we have two more DVD episodes to figure it out.

29. Goron says:

I can understand being disappointed with the execution of the finale (or gleeful, if you love the cheese) but I can’t understand shock or even surprise at the main plot elements. The whole series up to that point had been pointing a huge “look here” finger at certain things we could expect to see before the end: 1) the tank would be made operational and would play a role in the climax; 2) The Trumpet of Destiny would play a role in the climax; 3) Amazing Grace would play a role in the climax; 4) the latter-day Maidens of the Fire would find a way to prevent a new war. I could see being disappointed in pacing of the series, and with the countless pieces of lazy writing or characterization, but surprise at the resolution? Any finale that did not include at least the 4 elements mentioned above would have been the real surprise.

30. mambo says:

Because someone already compared it to WW1?

31. AidanAK47 says:

That army guy managed to pull a Houdini there.
    What’s more amazing that the fact that he had a hidden James bond shoe knife was that he managed to cut the rope binding his hands behind the chair, with a knife that was attached to the front of his shoe. How in the hell did he manage that?! Somebody’s being practicing Yoga…..

Anyway, yes it was quite cheesy. For a cynical man such as myself I just can’t accept that two armies stopped trying to kill each other simply because a girl blew a trumpet. It a tall order to accept that.

We were all hoping for that tragic ending but instead were hit with super happy smile family wish ending.
    However if I was to change the ending myself I would say that it would be better if when they got into the tank that they were shot down and collapse in the woods. There each one of them is deeply injured except for the roman girl. The deeply urge her to run away and they all lie in the snow. One of the girls asks Kanata to play her trumpet one last time. Kanata brings it to her mouth but finds that she can’t play it well because of her injuries. They all weakly laugh and are reminded of when Kanata could play well. Then they fall unconscious. They wake up in a infirmary. The war when on while they were out but after a message about a truce was brought to a quick end. Maybe something like that.

32. Bruce says:

Eh, it wasn’t that bad. In the end all they managed to do was stall the battle for a couple of minutes while Rio was getting into the field. I doubt that would have actually stopped whatever was going to happen.

I’m more disappointed that they didn’t explain much of the old technology/war/skeleton.

33. Firechick says:

Don’t hate me for this, but I thought the ending for this is rather decent. I never expected Rio to come back though. The only thing I REALLY REALLY LOVED about this episode was that THEY BROUGHT THAT AWESOME FRENCH SONG BACK!!!

34. inkka says:

Hmm For me It’s a good ending. Don’t great and emotional as Kobato. But much better than I prediction when I have seen you comment.

At least They didn’t used the song to stop war directly like some of macross series.But they used it to buy time for Rio(That now is fiancee of the Rome’s prince OK It’s the condition).to come in the battlefield to stop the war. It’s the thing that already build-up for.

And what the problem to see people stop to hear that song. You know.It’s the song that Iliya used to play. And even Rome people know about that song(Look like when the time that these two country have wars. Iliya will concern and play this at battlefield. It’s the reason that even Kanata know that song). And Iliya isn’t the normal people. She is the princess of helvetia !!.
    And she is very kind people.(look at the way that she died.)So It didn’t strange to see people still admire her and her song too.

And if you see the soldier and people’s reaction. They suffer enough form war.(At least the main girls have some of sad experience too. So this reason can worked). They fight because the higher say them to fight. but It didn’t the thing that they truly want to do. Thay want peace !!

I’m happy to see the peace too. Once that war anime didn’t have true war.The Era that always have war every day has passed.(This anime want to tell us about that for sure). It’s time for peaceful now.

35. psgels psgels says:

Firechick: I’ve been noticing that whenever you disagree with me, you put up disclaimers as “don’t hate me”, et cetera. I just wanted to say that there’s no need for me to hate you, as I don’t mind it at all when people have their own opinion. ;)

Really, that ‘abysmal’ rating is very much my own reaction after watching that episode. I can very much imagine that other people would have completely different ones.

Finally pulling those reviews out. Guys, if you're expecting for Hinamatsuri and Masotan posts, the former will be done tomorrow and if I have more time I will do the second one too. Enjoy for now
Anonymous2037529
LWA academia is probably the only trigger project i've truly cared about. I haven't watched KlK to completion or luluco for that matter(i got to get around to that) but ive seen everything else and i just don't give a damn about any of em
But to say something positive - I liked the second episode of Kamuy way better than the first one. Budget seems to be really bad but the rest makes up for it it seems.
I think Luluco was the only one I enjoyed after KlK which already had a bunch of problems - but overall it was far too entertaining for me to seriously care about those.
Guess the last 1/3 might be more interesting when they start with the actual world building for once, although they could probably slam the love stuff even more in our faces but who knows. Not fond of any of the latest Trigger anime to be honest.
Also they're really overdoing it with all that obvious message stuff and the "love superpower" trope I always hated anyway. Still watching I mean at least it has a plot and tries.
I still can't care about anyone or anything in this series I think it's really not made for me. I might have liked Goro but he's too unimportant and the sauros revelation was kind of a letdown since it's the most common twist for these kinds of things.
Alright Franxx, you are forgiven for episode 14.
@Mario: Do you ever go to those surprise horror/thriller preview screenings? Where they don't tell you what film it is until it starts?
*worrying about
@Mario: Its saying something, when I haven't seen eternal sunshine since it came out, but even by re-watching the trailer, the feelings, the whole film comes back. At that point I'd grown out of Jim Carey's comedy, so seeing him play against type was refreshing.
@Mario: Ah, I'm more forgiving then, I'm likely to give higher points for sheer imagination that I'm not as bothered by worry about the story.
@Mario: Any negative argument against mood indigo by him can be countered by the fact it has Audrey Tatou in it.
Anonymous2035464
jhonrhean
and I just watched A Quiet Place. A solid indie horror one. It builds on atmosphere and it does the family chemistry right
I don't like The Science of Sleep to be honest. Tons of interesting ideas and visually creativeness but the story itself is a mess
@Mario: Gondry needs to avoid making any more commercial comedies, he also needs to start working with Kaufman again, they brought out the best in each other, although on his own, he can be playful and inventive with his films, such as mood indigo and science of sleep.
But check out his other movie Eternal sunshine of Spotless Mind. It has an inventive mind control/ mind altering concept in there
Jim Carrey is kind of mind controller himself. I couldn't take my eyes off him
@anon2028818: it was indeed season 5. SORRY FOR MY IGNORANCE :)
The Jim Carrey movies.
Dorei-ku seems like a Kakegurui. You see one episode you've seen all. It'll be better if it was crazier like Mirai Nikki. Mind control IMO could be a very creepy setup if it's watched through the perspective of the victim rather than the perpetrator. Losing notion or reality and control. Could liar liar and Yes man be considered mind controlled stories?
Ore Mahou Shoujo, baffles me, since I had to skip another long musical off key number, which makes me wonder where the budget cut starts and where the trolling begins. Also makes me sad, there aren't a lot of female to male transformations since it'll be interesting watching that perspective. Maybe a love triangle from both genders could apply since females are more accepted to be bi, in media.
Megalobox could be something really special, but I hope like with Ashita no Joe, the anime isn't solely boxing. Joe, had social commentary, had a personal struggle do to the protagonist origin, attitude and view of life, since he started very immature and rebellious.
Megalo Box, Tiramisu (I find this genuinely funny), S;0, GGO which is so much better than SAO, Wotaku, Hinamatsuri, Cutie Honey, LotGH, Hisone to Masotan and so on
I really love this season as well.
Also personally I am enjoying this current season a alot. But I also know/like a good bit of the reboots/sequels
Oh man... 2015 winter was good. Forgot thats when those came out
Anonymous2028818
@SuperMario: Wasn't that Natsume season 5?, pretty sure season 4 was several years earlier.
Another strong anime season for me was 2015 Winter, where we had YuriKuma Arashi, Maria the Virgin Witch, Death Parade, Durarara whatever season, second cour of Shirobako, Parasyte and Your Lie in April
Even so, with this season I'm still willing to give some shows another chance, like Caligula or Cutie Honey Universe(!)
For me, the best season in recent years was Fall 2016 when we had Flip Flappers, Sound Eupho 2, Yuri on Ice, Natsume 4, Fune wo Amu, Drifters and 3-gatsu no Lion. But I know that Aidan would disagree with me on this
@anon2028201: it's me who said this season is a mixed bag. It's like you said, this season is too heavily on sequels/ reboots and only some new anime stand out, the rest of the pack is just meh.
Anonymous2028201
To me this seems like a pretty good seasons, but judging some of the impressions, it's a bit more of a mixed bag for most. Just curious, what were the best seasons for recent anime? This one seems good to me, but to early to tell right now
Anonymous2028201
Lovin this season so far: a lot of reboots/reimaginings and sequels, but I'm enjoying them all. MHA S3, LOGH DNT, S;G 0, Megalobox, Golden Kamuy are what I'm watching right now. I hear Full Metal Panic is good as well, but I haven't gotten around to watching the original series.
Anonymous2028258
so i just recently rewatched fullmetal panic fumoffu and i gotta say that this is easily one of Kyo ani's best works. It's such a surprise that this was their first anime; it's a damn good romance comedy
@Anon: Lol I love B-movie type stuff, because the rules are off.
I was the only person who watched Mazinkaiser skl and shin mazinger and skullman.
Anonymous2026379
@Kaiser Takeshi Koike really wanted to really sell it as a grindhouse feature and I ate that shit up; I really dug the tone he was going for.
@Anon: It was strange seeing that Goemon short, much as I enjoyed it, thats the goriest I seen lupin get.
Anonymous2026379
Megalo box is pure retro while lupin is a mix of old and new...and you're right; people just think they can't jump right into it. But that's why more people should be talking about it; to let the masses know that you don't need a starting point to get into the Lupin franchise
I'm a massive fan of the devilman manga and I thought devilman crybaby was better than it.
Anonymous2026379
90's-esque throwback feeling shows like lupin and megalo box have been giving me
Anonymous2026379
Luoin part 5 is definitely mixing the best of new and old. Honestly, I've been having a blast with it as well as this generally 90
I think the problem is, people see lupin as this long thing they can't get into, when really its so episodic/standalone mostly you can pick up and watch.
And of course getting the best bits out of old and new.
*visual style
I'm a fan of this hybrid old and new style, megalobox does it too, mine fujiko aswell and casshern sins.
I was surprised by how well the Fujiko mine show came together in the end.
I'll be interested in picking up more facts about thrm.
Come think of it, Akira Kurosawa did some old western (eastern?) in Russian, that had an Ainu in it.
Anonymous2026379
Asirpa is sooooo adorable.....almost feels patronizing to say that about her due to how badass she is
Anonymous2026379
What makes Fujiko work so well as this sexy icon is that she isn't just sexy: she's smart as shit and uses that sexiness to dominate and control her opponents (similar to bayonetta) rather than be chained by the objectification of her opponents (and the viewers for that matter)
Anonymous2026379
I wonder what other obscure cameos we may get this season. And yea you're right about some of Lupin's potentially sexist traits being assuaged by his level of cool and the genuine respect he shows a good deal of the women he has encountered throughout the series
@Anon: Yet still a fun film at the same time.
Anonymous2026379
@Kaiser Yea, mamo was a pretty dark element introduced to the lupin franchise; and considering the tone of the gravestone of Jigen, it makes sense he would cameo there
@Mario: Help I want to kidnap Asirpa =<
@Anon: I'm probably as surprised as you, at finding someone to talk to about Lupin on here.
@Anon: And through comparing/contrasting the jigen grave stone and Fujiko mine, with some of the sillier older ones, it shows the Lupin characters are flexible enough to work both in a darker AND sillier context.
*character
@Anon: Fujiko is precisely how a fanservicey character should work and how built in/essential it is to her haracter, without becoming an irritant.
@Anon: By all means Lupin himself shouldn't be a character we like, much like Bond, but like Bond theres a coolness to the character that allows us to love him.
@Anon: Another great thing about Lupin is how it uses its 60s cool to get away with what would normally probably be considered fairly sexist.
@Anon: I had a big smile on my face when Mamo made a cameo appearance at the end of one of the recent ones and thats because I remember the Lupin Mamo movie was one of those first anime that I watched about 20 years aago.
Anonymous2026379
not to mention that its one of the few anime this season that actually knows how to utilize dialogue to explore flesh out its characters rather than exposition or contrivance: looking at you darling in the franxx
Anonymous2026379
@Kaiser-Eoghan Nice fun facts; but yea Lupin III is a series that has always had an amazing sense of pacing and adventure, traits that are definitely on display this season
@Anon: Its a huge franchise too so I'm often never sure where to go next.
@Anon: You may or may not know this, but the voice actor for solid snake voiced Lupin in one of the dubs.
@Anon: I watched a few episodes of the Italy set lupin show too .
Its a fun franchise due to its cast but its something I have to follow irregularly, lest it get repetitive.
@Anon: Fun fact, guy who directed the gold of babylon film was a famous B-movie noir director in the 60s.
Dont trust anything written by the original SAO author. Everything is his fault. Kirito is not in this series.
Even the original SAO author has little to do with it, which is why its actually good
So SAO Alt is basically completely removed from the rest of SAO
@Anon: Lupin is one of those things I dip in and out of, whatever part of the franchise it is. I've seen birdcage kingdom, Mamo, cagliostro, nostradamus, Jigens grave stone, mine fujiko and the recent Goemon centred special.
Anonymous2026379
it's a damn shame not a lot of ppl are talkig about/watching lupin the third this season
But for all I know with that team behind it, its an improvement, but theres probably not much point in me watching as I dropped the first season after less than 10 episodes.
See how he attempts to seduce me into watching something related to sword art.
Huh... I didnt know the writer for SAO Alt was written by the Kino's Journey creator and produced by the Flip Flappers people. Explains a lot
I wish I knew what you meant by shaman girls, and I cant wait
@Lenlo, Oh I know Leskinen. May he find his Japanese Shaman girls one day. But seeing as I know the story I wanna experience it differently.
@Mario: Its even set in hokkaido, Korean/Japanese director, Japanese cast, Ken Watanabe is in it: https://letterboxd.com/film/unforgiven-2013/
Also, I love the ED. Really, 2 episodes in, I love S;G all over again.
@Kaiser: really? They remade Unforgiven in Japanese?
its*
Like... is good.
But your missing out on the cult of Leskinen. The engrish is actually one of my favorite parts
@Lenlo, Meanwhile I am happily waiting for the dub.
Dangit... I have to wait another week for Steins;Gate 0 now. I cant do this.
@Mario: The Japanese remake of unforgiven had ainu people in it.
Anonymous2025797
Also I wonder if budget is distributed according to the director, some animes will spend more in the first episode. Some will spend more in the last ones. It's subjective, but if it's like all business it is looking for the better result at the minimum expense. Hence why I believe Berserk was made the way it did.
Anonymous2025797
@Kaiser-Eoghan - Ideally a story should be as long as it needs. But reality seems that a number of episodes is decided before production. And so you either have to stretch or cut material. Kinda like that 300 page manga of Les Miserables, is simply unfeasible translating that book into that few pages.
Oberstein was a great character.
I actually feel Aidan can do a good job on it. Sometimes been too exposed to the material may lead to clouded eyes.
Though I'm surprised by how I unexpectedly laughed at wotaku, I do wonder if later on it will include any slight drama elements to sustain interest.
OMO; OBERsteins; Gate =P
From watching episode 2 of golden kamuy, yeah, the source material definitely is lifting this.
I'm going to have to wait and see on steins; gate 0, it is encouraging to here this might be darker , at the same time I remember having to sit through too much goofy humour in the first one.
I was actually surprised, that, while rare, there were some moments of humour, that lightened it for me.
Throughout the entire series I expected Oberstein to pull some inevitable double cross. And was shocked when he never did.
@Kaiser: Agree with Oberstein. I think antagonists are es important as the mains in fiction and I loved this guy, he's perfect for series like these.
Galactic heroes was an example of where when watching it, when big death scenes occured, I would make noooooo and shouting noises at the screen while clenching my fist.
I love characters like Oberstein, shrewd, clever, but done right to where I can believe it, not characters like, say Lelouch .
I'd be concerned if the new galactic heroes series skimps on the violence, that kind of thing needs to be in there, in most shows/films and shown to be explicit, consequences need to be shown.
*about, not with
Sadly, most original 2+ cours series I know feel dragged whereas many 1 cours originals could have needed ~3 more episodes. Talking with series that have an actual plot of course.
I really like the 13 episodes thingy for originals but I wish there would be more 26 episodes series, especially for adaptions.
@Kaiser: I agree. Nothing kills my interest faster than formularic episodes and repetition.
In general I think 50 episodes would be the most I'd watch for an anime, 39 seems ideal.
Or worse and the romance drama is the main plot and it's Kiznaiver all over again, while the rest is just flavor to make the romances more forced since they're the MCs are only teens and such. Dunno but I can never bring myself to care about this kind of stuff.
Though better 110 episodes of galactic heroes than a long shounen that just repeats itself.
Speaking of recent episodes, I unironically thing that FranXX's world (building) is pretty interesting (although I hope those klaxxosaurusses will be more than just random cannon fodder) but I doubt the series will ever get to the main plot again the next time.
Same here. It was really the only time I did this. I am usually exhausted by just thinking about marathoning long series. It's the reason why I won't get into FMP for the new series either. LotGH was an exception since I found it easily to watch for some reason.
Man, just image burning through 110 episodes of it and my spirit fades away
Watched that whole series ages ago.
Just watched the first three Neue These episodes and I surprinsingly liked it. Thought I would hate it due to being an OVA fan, and I still prefer the old designs by far but overall it's pretty good. I think I might even prefer this version of the first battle, but I have to rewatch the old one I guess.
Also while I can't remember which episode, Yang picks up a book with the author of the series' name on it.
Arslan feels so lightweight by contrast/comparison.
And I think, given your knowledge KTtravlos, that a series review of the new galactic heroes season would probably benefit from you writing it.
I bring up the music in my earlier comment, because I can understand your reservations regarding the music choice in the remake.
And certainly one of those shows, that going back to the first episode after finishing, gives a strong perspective just on how evolving the series was.
*despite me not
Despite not being monarchist , because the characters were human moreso than cartoon characters I couldn't hate on Reinhard.
@Travlos: I suppose by the time it got to Julian's arc, I was surprised they were still bothering to fight but the fact that they were essentially the last bastion of their beliefs made it special.
@Travlos: Sometimes when I just finish a show, its a case where I HAVE to jump online immediately after and excitedly ramble out an essay on it.
niello
ugh democracy
@Kaiser ultimately LOGH for me was a decisive point in my political life, as I think it made the best defense of democracy in any form I have seen. And it worked partly because the opponent was presented in the best possible incarnation (Rienhard). Yang's continued adherence to democracy, despite recongising its flaws, helped me avoid a personal descent into authoritarian politics.
@Kaiser. I am happy you had a good experience. I watched the prequels a while after the main show and I was happy because it was great getting back to those characters. The prequels were also great in fleshing the setting and the characters. So yes, take your time and a break. That way the prequels will be like visiting a place you liked again after a while.
@KTtravlos: I have some other stuff to get through before watching the galactic heroes prequel though =<
YES according to discord poster I'm not a millenial!
Sorry for overposting. I have always always being an incredibly verbose person.
@Vonter; Not that I oppose captilistically made for a buck cinema, it can be entertaining yes, but I set a standard.
@Vonter: As open as I am to trash cinema, I consider the resident evil films, like the superhero ones, anti-art.
I can understand why people don't like Villier, but he did I think work as a device to add extra tension.
I feel some release at finishing but at the same time sadness at saying goodbye to the show and its characters.
, showing its age.
But for something of this length, it kept itself up far better than most long shows and I feel the length its somewhat justified.

On another note….as corny as the third ending theme is, I got the feels listening to it.
But while the first 50 odd episodes were an easy job for me aswell as all of the 4th season and some of the late 3rd season made it difficult for me to pull myself away from it, the dialogue even though often well observed did become difficult to follow at times and somewhere in the middle theres a stretch of episodes, bar some moments that feel a bit of an endurance test and the animation is at
Its attention to detail I felt was at its strongest in the documentary and the series dedication to filling the view in on its world building/fictional history.
I admired the scope, ambition of this series and the battles eventually grew on me and I was surprised by just how visceral the melee combat got which suited me perfectly. At the same time for all the strategy and action, I found myself more in it for the story, characters and intrigue/politicking. Those battles, due in part to their music choices, had an epic feel to them
In the end the characters stood out for me the best were Reinhard, Oberstein (for being essentially the amazing man with the plan), Reuntal, Kircheis and Rubinsky, I warmed up to Julian, Yang and Schenkop. When important deaths occurred, they felt highly dramatic, in four cases emotionally effecting for me .
Also, KTtravlos, thank you for pushing me toward watching the original legend of the galactic heroes, my opinion on the series is largely a mixed one, but by the end I felt I’d watched something rewarding and I’m happy its crossed off my list and I should have gotten round to it sooner.
I'm probably the oldest here, being 32. Which apparently makes me around Yang-wenli's age, which according to someone means I'm middle aged .
To the discord guy who brought it up, its difficult not for me to be political, my father was an activist and is a Marxist , I ended up becoming a contradiction a semi-agnostic, but spiritually inclined/tolerant socialist with internationalist ideology.
@Aidan: Ends in very cliffhanger/abrupt indy way though and the things weakness/how to kill thems too easy.
@Aidan: I liked how it explains nothing also and the creature design and how it visual communicates to the audience.
@Aidan: While I won't say anything, a character death is handled in what I considered a schmaltzy manner. There is a particularly headscratching decision the characters make that you'll either rationalize or hate, but it leads to one of the tenser set pieces later on.
@Aidan: Quiet place has a good idea at its backbone, that they use sign language in the film to communicate and occassional whispers adds to it, it and the silence allows for a mood to be effectively communicated. It does have jump scares, I wasn't annoyed by them, but I never felt the film required them.
@Aidan: I read the discord, if you ever need to ask a question relating to film, come to me about it, I will without fail be able to answer 9 times out of 10.
I was adequately amused by the first episode of wotaku, but found the male lead funnier, which I'm attributing to him be more deadpan.
We found a convient weekend for everyone
*watching

Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii – 02[Are We Now Dating?]

After a strong first episode I come back to this show and find a rather middling second episode. There is some good content here, namely the Evangelion references, one of which was butchered by the crunchyroll translators.(Narumi and Hanako were arguing over who was best girl in Evangelion with notes over their head about whose […]

Steins;Gate 0 – 2 [Epigraph of the Closed Curve -Closed Epigraph-]

7 years. It has been almost 7 years since the original season of Steins;Gate. Since Okabe overcame received a mysterious video message, which prompted him to finally save the day. Back then it was a rather clever, if thin, plot device to get a happy ending. Steins;Gate 0 is the story of this video message. […]

Legend of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These – 2/3[The Battle of Astarte/An Indomitable Prodigy]

If I was to judge this adaption based solely on the first three episodes I would declare it a resounding success. For while I do really like the old series, it does have a rather slow start. I say i only truly got invested in it around episode 3 or 4 when the more political […]

Golden Kamuy – 02 [Nopperabo]

Leave it to Japanese cartoon that done the Western genre better than the Westerners, at least from what we have seen so far (note: despite my pun, Western the genre doesn’t refer to the Western culture, but to the American Old West). Granted, Japanese cinema and literature has a strong tradition of samurai genre, which […]

Hinamatsuri – 02 [This Is How You Have a ESP Battle!]

Welcome to THE comedy gold of the season. Before I get into anything specific, let’s me discuss about what make this little show about a psychic girl and a yakuza hilarious in the first place. The main source of humor in Hinamatsuri largely comes from situation-based weirdness. Putting these characters out of their comfort zones […]

Darling in the Franxx – 14[Punishment and Confession]

Last time Darling and the Franxx had it’s best episode yet which raised my opinion of the series and gave me hopes for greater things moving forward. So it’s sad that they follow this up with the worst episode of the series to date. This episode was pure frustration to watch because you knew exactly […]

Megalo Box – 2 [The Man Only Dies Once]

Welcome to the Spring 2018 anime season! I am proud to present to you the Ashita no Joe 50th Anniversary project, Megalo Box. Easily the most stylish anime of the season. Lets jump in! With just 2 episodes, Megalo Box has become my favorite for the season. Everything about it feels like it comes from […]

Darling in the Franxx – 13[The Beast and the Prince]

That was the best episode of Darling in the Franxx to date. Truly I am impressed with this though it may be perhaps because the fanservice aspects of the show were not present at all during this episode. Todays episode was spent entirely on the past of Hiro and Zero Two. When this episode is […]

Fate/Extra Last Encore – 08-10[No Second Strike ― Dead End ― /Golden Theater of the Deranged ― Aestus Domus Aurea ― /Unlimited――― ― Unlimited/ Raise・Dead ―]

It hard to have an opinion on the last three episodes of Fate/Extra when the content has been quite similar to the previous episodes of the cour. For now the series has ended with the remaining episodes coming as a special later. Still unknown if that was the actual special broadcast that was originally considered […]

Violet Evergarden (2018 Winter) Review – 76/100

Violet Evergarden’s existence has surely been a public one. Acclaimed before everyone lick a taste of it (it was awarded for grand prize in the fifth Kyoto Animation Award’s novel category in 2014 – read, KyoAni awards), it goes without saying that Violet Evergarden is one of the most anticipated show of the sparse Winter […]

A Place Further than the Universe (Winter 2018) Review – 77/100

Cute girls doing cute things is a genre that been done to death at this point. Even within this Winter 2018 we had been overloaded with big eyes fluffy face girls doing a lot of different things of interest. It takes a standout concept or a deeper narrative to make one stand out from this […]

After the Rain (2018 Winter) Review – 89/100

I suppose that most of us, even the perministic ones, enter After the Rain (Ameagari) with some reservations. After all, the premise about a crush from an 18-year-old girl to the store manager who is nearly 30 years senior raises a lot of red flags here. Yet the show handles this tricky premise with deep […]

Kokkoku – 42.5/100

There are lots of bad anime out there, for one reason or another. Whether it be stilted animation, terrible writing or bad direction, a good portion of each season is simply not worth it. Kokkoku is not a bad anime. It is something much worse. Kokkoku is a mediocre anime. Bad ones get talked about, […]

Junji Ito Collection Anime Review – 40/100

In the realm of manga there is a man whose name is inescapable when the genre of horror is brought up. That man is Junji Ito and his work is considered legendary for its artistic detail, mastery of manga paneling and it’s outlandish imaginative concepts. Up till now his work has yet to have an […]

Yuru Camp (Winter 2018) Review – 74/100

I admit that I underestimated Yuru Camp back in its first few episodes. I took it as a standard, run-on-the-mill slice of life show and I fully expected to give it 3 episodes at max before throwing it into the deep sea of forgotten anime. But as time pass, I can certainly see many good […]

Neo Yokio – 96/100

This may be half a year overdue but I simply can’t accept that none of the writing staff of Star Crossed Anime have cover the the biggest development in anime where Netflix took a hand in producing anime in the form of Neo Yokio. Taking place in the metropolis of Neo Yokio, a mashup between […]

Devilman Crybaby – 83/100

It’s an exciting time to be an anime fan where new business models and players are making big waves within the animation industry. After debuting with the original and excellently-produced Neo Yokio, the juggernaut streaming service of Netflix has decided to revive the classic series of Devilman and gives it the full adaption treatment. By […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 69/100

Fantasy is a rather prolific genre in anime, with a vast majority of Isekai and Shounen fitting snugly into it. Most take place in their own unique setting, either Amestris of Full Metal Alchemist or the made of world of the latest Isekai trash. Few however try to set themselves in our world. To peel […]