Posted by psgels on 22 March 2010 with categories: Sora no Oto

No. No, they didn’t. This didn’t just happen. It can’t be. This show was heading in such a good direction. It was so on its way to be amongst my favourite series of the Winter season. And then it pulls this. I was fearing for this show to end with a cliched route, and it actually pulls off something worse than I ever could have expected.

This is just… unbelievable. The ending went well enough, I guess. It was a bit melodramatic, but okay. Then the action starts, and the spider somehow is totally fixed again. Despite that, it’s not something that was too bad, and I had seen far worse endings at that point. However, then Kanata started playing the trumpet. And every single soldier stopped and listened. What a headdesk moment!

To think that out of all series, this show would end up pulling a “let my song stop all fighting”-ending. What a disappointment. The creators tried to save it by having Rio show up from absolutely nowhere just seconds after that, but the damage already was done for me. It’s one of the first endings I’ve seen this season, but I have no doubt that it’s going to end up as the single worst one. Yes, even Ookami Kakushi’s finale felt more satisfying than this thing.

I’m really thinking of how I’m going to end up judging this series. Before this episode, I had no doubt that my top 3 of the Winter Season would consist out of Durarara, Heartcatch Precure and Sora no Oto. After this episode, I might actually consider to put Gag Manga Biyori + in its place. This wasn’t just a bad episode, but for me it actually destroyed all of the credibility and realism that it built up in the previous things. War should have been a horrible inevitable thing. And here the characters come and solve it like it’s nothing, exactly at the most convenient time for the writers. Blegh.
Rating: —- (Abysmal)

1. DmonHiro says:

Hey idiot, this kind of stuff DOES happen.

May I point you at a very REAL event in WW2, when soldiers ACTUALLY stopped fighting during Christmas and celebrated TOGETHER? Crazy stuff like this can happen, at most likely DID as some point.

2. DmonHiro says:

My bad, WW1.

So don’t go all high and mighty that this was SOOO unrealistic it ruined the series forver.

3. Sis says:

I soo saw this coming when I saw the episode xD

4. NguyenSon says:

But the soldiers didn’t stop fighting in the middle of a battle. And it was a truce, they resumed fighting after it. I suppose the difference was that in the first world war, people actually communicated beforehand. That’s how they managed to feel empathy for the ennemy, something music can’t do by itself. The problem for this ending of Sora no woto was that there was not really a realistic build up that would lead to it.

5. DmonHiro says:

Yes, yes they did. Right IN THE MIDDLE of battle. And it wasn’t a real truce, because the acting commanders who were fighting decided on this themselves. So yes, it’s possible to stop fighting.

6. psgels psgels says:

Um… aren’t those circumsttances entirely different? Call me an idiot, but those soldiers stopped fighting on Christmas, a holiday that was celebrated everywhere, so they had something that could be celebrated together. On top of that, these soldiers had been fighting for five months in trenches already. The troops here in Sora no Oto were just about to attack each other when Kanata started playing her trumpet, finally encountering some action after months of travel. Sure, it may have happened in WWI, but I doubt that a teenaged girl with a trumpet was the sole cause for it.

7. NguyenSon says:

Maybe you have some docs to the contrary, but from what I’ve seen, in the first world war, they communicated BEFORE making the truce. And the biggest problem was still the lack of building up, if they had shown the soldier’s state of mind before the batlle with more episodes, more background (for example, showing their lassitude for the war,etc…), how they interacted with their ennemies before this, it could have been very well done. But here, it just feels lazy. You don’t make peace in the first days of war, you need to get to know your ennemies personally for this kind of thing to develope, to feel empathy.

8. PhantomX says:

It didn’t happen in the middle of battle, it was agreed upon beforehand… no one is going to stand in the line of fire to try to yell at people shooting at them to take a break for Christmas, rofl… that’s just a romanticized version of something that is poorly recorded in the history books.

There was prior communication, and the war didn’t end, they went on to kill millions more people. Keep in mind this was also just a small area/section… the war was still being fought everywhere else. Perhaps you should learn to read more than the first two lines of articles? Caps lock doesn’t make you correct either.

On to the episode… I can’t say I’m surprised at the cheese ending. With only one episode left there were only two outcomes: either Rio married the Roman prince in her sisters stead and argued for an armistice/peace, or this, and neither ending would’ve been satisfying.

9. darkerthanblackswordsman says:

No, not in the middle of fighting. How do you imagine that working, exactly? There was no fighting that Christmas.

But that’s not the point. As NguyenSon said, there needs to be build-up for something like this. In art (of any kind) if it doesn’t FEEL real, then it isn’t, and vice versa of course.

10. MsteaK says:

How is someone an idiot for stating the obvious? Christmas is interwoven in western culture as a significant day of sympathy and happyness, and you want to compare it to a mere girl playing on her musical instrument in order to stop a embryonic war? Aside from the circumstances being completely different, a story needs a thing calling build-up for this to become warrantable.

Don’t get your panties in bunch because someone critizes your favorite show, jeez.

11. KoRoMi says:

I for one enjoyed this train wreck ending.

The first half was paced too fast. Major plot-points were covered in a couple of lines each. And Filicia, I know you’re casual about rules and regulations, but pulling a gun on a superior officer? I guess she figured that Rio was her teflon cover against getting jailed, shot, or just plain chewed out, but still…

As for the battle & Kanata’s Amazing Grace saving the day… Well, it is the Minmay Defence, which was always played half for laughs in Macross anyway. When things stop making sense, sometimes, it’s just preferable to wave away the lack of logic and just enjoy the show, sort of like what Shakespeare did with the aftermath to the Battle of Agincourt, where the French casualties were reported to be ten thousand dead, versus a mere 29 English dead.

Yeah, it was an enjoyable train wreck for me. I was excited to see that Takemikazuchi can fly! Apparently, it features gravity-reduction technology and a force field cushion for landings.

12. Crayshen says:

On the bright side there are at least 2 DVD exclusive episodes, so unless they’re totally wasted it does give them time to fix/explain things better.

13. Michael says:

I honestly didn’t think it was that bad. Yes it’s cliched, but it’s a well-done cliche. The WW1 parallels were so emphasized that it really did work, and it is clear that they got their inspiration from the WW1 Christmas story (the difference of course being that this takes place AFTER a terrible destructive war). I think some people are bummed because they didn’t want such a happy ending; they wanted some death and self-sacrifice. Eh. The one thing I will agree with everyone on is that the last episode was way too rushed. It needed two episodes. That would have given it a proper buildup and preparation for a more proper happy ending.

14. m says:

They crammed almost every bit of cheese they could into this episode save for preventing Rio from becoming a concubine, but to be safe they salvaged some of that cheese by making the Roman Emperor such a swell guy that he let her play with her friends. I thought it was pretty funny, but I think the show is pretty mediocre anyway.
    Ookami-kakushi was another middling show, but it was consistently mediocre and never had any of the potential that Sora no Oto left out on the vine so the wallbanger ending just kind of fit right in.

There are a lot of funny moments in this episode:
    Leaving the James Bond alone in the basement.
    James Bond escaping when his hands were tied to a chair using a blade in his boot, and then escaping from the cellar of the fortress without being observed.
    The “Demon of Vingt” being stared down by a bunch of unarmed civilians. (Oh, I bet the Roman infantry was shaking with terror.)
    The impetus for the colonel’s desire to provoke a war.
    Kanata’s absolute pitch being used to foreshadow superhuman hearing. (No! Wrong! No cookie!)
    Aisha being patched up by people without any medical training.
    The advanced tank having to blow up the machine shop to get out. (Don’t you hate when you build your boat in a bottle?)
    The anti-climactic march of the advanced tank, which was barely capable of handling a few imitators.
    Noel was a basket-case over enabling mass murder, but in her spare time she made the advanced tank combat-ready.
    Replacing the myth for one held by people that don’t even live in the town. (Oh, but Aisha’s mother was from the town! Yeah that explains why everyone else from the town is confused…)
    The prevention of a conflict using music. (An oldy, for sure.)
    Kanata endangering herself to play music, when the tank can broadcast the song.
    Princess Irulan catching up to everyone even though they had previously been so far away they couldn’t signal anyone except Kanata.
    Helvetica was annexed through marriage. Yay! Happy ending! I can’t wait to see what the Fremen do to the heretics in Helvetica. I’m sure there will be cake.

They were pretty-much boxed into a corner with the show’s run length and the time they wasted on the slice-of-life stuff. Every time you think back to this episode, remember that they they spent a whole episode on some slap-stick phone-watching gags that ending in Kanata urinating on herself. That pretty much sums up the show.

15. panaghoy88 says:

It wasn’t that bad, at least for me. I’ve noticed that every character knew Amazing Grace and impacted their lives. I guess that’s what they were going for. This very music is the common ground of every person in this show.

16. queenie says:

Good Lord people.
    I know we all wanted a kind of unhappy ending, but COME ON.

I thought it was a good ending. And for everyone who says that all of the troops were ready to fight, did we totally skip the parts where soldiers were like “This blows. Why do we even have to fight?”? It showed that all the people involved were sick of this shit and wanted an end, which is what happened when Rio gave herself up to go and end the war.

And “Amazing Grace”? Hell, I almost cried. I thought it was a great way to say “STOP”. I agree with panaghoy88: songs are universal. Its a great way to tie that plot line up. Like when the difference in military signals came up, it was a great idea by Kanata to do that.

I personally liked how they ended this and how they went with the whole show (the pee episode I’m still out on though).

P.S. The girls tank was fixed by Noel a few episodes ago. Maybe the fact that they didn’t try it out first seems odd, but the tank was fixed.

17. Hogart says:

This was godawful. Anyone who tries to defend this by mis-citing WW1 circumstances probably thought Railgun’s crap ending was amazing and is likely to be a preteen or just a moron.

I didn’t have high hopes coming into this, but there were enough moments to hold me to the end.. and then they randomly screwed the pooch instead of building up to a second season. Oh well, serves me right for having any faith in KyoAni.

18. m says:

I don’t think I adequately communicated why I thought Noel making the tank combat-ready was funny. The only thing it had to do with when she armed the tank is that it was after she had helped murder a lot of people by enabling the use of advanced technology against her country’s enemy. This had broken her psychologically. That she would fix the tank is understandable, but that she would actually repeat the exact same mistake again by rendering it capable of fighting was pretty funny.

Just think what would have happened if jerk-face had, instead of being an idiot, taken a group of his soldiers back down whatever secret tunnel he escaped from (probably used for smuggling), retaken the fort from girls that now had no leverage, and discovered the tank.

19. Miken says:

I suppose I like the ending. I, for one, cannot actually see Sora no Woto ending in any other way than how it did. It was bound to get a happy trumpet-based ending, and that it did.

I too have to point out that the soldiers themselves already expressed an unwillingness to fight, which is probably what allowed them to be so distracted by Kanata’s music. While it does seem contrived, it really worked (at least for me). With that distraction, Rio was able to arrive in time to put an end to the war. It also helps a ton that Amazing Grace had a personal impact on me years ago, so the use of the song usually tugs my heartstrings immediately.

20. Kah says:

Personally, I would have been disappointed if the war had been stopped by any means outside of playing a trumpet. :)

@m: Hilarious points lol, one of them tjough, i think the town chose to remember the maidens in a different light in order to hide their “Crime”.

21. riddle says:

the ending was GREAT, i dont care what you say. the ending was great and stuff like this happen, expample in world war 1 war stopped for a day during christmas!

22. PhantomX says:

I have no issues with it being a happy ending. In fact, I was expecting it due to Rio’s departure and identification as a princes… it’s what ended the war anyway. The fact that they threw in the supersonic hearing and the trumpet stopping all the fighting mid-charge is what made it lame.

23. AuroraFlame says:

I’m not really sure it matters if it happens in real life. People have survived being shot in the head in real life, that doesn’t keep it from being a deus ex machina if they survive it in fiction. Going past the outliers of possibility is bound to leave things a bit unbelievable.

Despite me saying that, I really liked this series and its ending. I actually thought this show was going to have a tragic ending with a lot of deaths but looking back at the entire series, it was always going to end like this.

Anyway, I think tragic endings are becoming the new happy endings; they are become overdone and wrought with melodrama. Sora no Woto’s ending didn’t really feel like an ‘idealism trumps reality’ moment. Neither side really wanted to fight, and they were just looking for an excuse to get out of it.

24. mambo says:

Really?
    Do some stupid people here really think music alone (and played by mere little girls) can stop the war?
    If that can happen why Iraq can’t just do a musical concert to stop America?
    I agree with you, psgels, this ending just……. (can’t find word to describe how bad it is)

25. c160 says:

wow..what a horrible,cliched ending to a very wonderful series..Before watching this I thought psgels was just overreacting but yeah,this ending does deserve the abysmal rating..Yes,the soldiers was unwilling to fight,but seriously?EVERYONE stopped?what the..but I do have to point out that Noel finished fixing the tank a few episodes ago so it wasn’t really all that magical insta-fix thing happening.

26. psgels psgels says:

The issue is indeed not whether I wanted to see a bad ending, but rather one that stayed true to this series, and to solve things this easily in a show that has been grounded on realism, along with all of the other questionable events in this episode as outlined by m, I really felt betrayed by this series in the end.

27. kira says:

anime isnt supposed to be realistic! why are you even comparing this to the war thats going on in iraq that’s just stupid, this is anime for god sake, enjoy it.

28. Steelman says:

Realism? Pardon me but I somehow do not get your point. This is a show about After the End, with teenage soldiers assigned (all alone) to a somehow strategic position, and a teenage prodigy scientist to boot. I would not call this “realistic”.

Now, if what you are claiming is that so far the show was pretty cynical and it concluded with a totally idealistic ending, I still have to object. The show had positioned itself fairly in the middle of the sliding scale of idealism vs cynicism. Sure we got enough flashbacks and discussions about the cruelty of war, but the protagonist had kept her unwavering idealistic mindset throughout the show.

Honestly, I did not find the ending to be a cop out. They had built towards this type of resolution since several episodes ago, and they executed it fairly well.

This said, I think that Rio going back to the girls was a little too much cheese, but overall it is a minor complain. My main complain is that they built a wonderful setting, but still haven’t told us what exactly happened with the demon/angel, which kinda feels like a waste. Oh well, we have two more DVD episodes to figure it out.

29. Goron says:

I can understand being disappointed with the execution of the finale (or gleeful, if you love the cheese) but I can’t understand shock or even surprise at the main plot elements. The whole series up to that point had been pointing a huge “look here” finger at certain things we could expect to see before the end: 1) the tank would be made operational and would play a role in the climax; 2) The Trumpet of Destiny would play a role in the climax; 3) Amazing Grace would play a role in the climax; 4) the latter-day Maidens of the Fire would find a way to prevent a new war. I could see being disappointed in pacing of the series, and with the countless pieces of lazy writing or characterization, but surprise at the resolution? Any finale that did not include at least the 4 elements mentioned above would have been the real surprise.

30. mambo says:

Because someone already compared it to WW1?

31. AidanAK47 says:

That army guy managed to pull a Houdini there.
    What’s more amazing that the fact that he had a hidden James bond shoe knife was that he managed to cut the rope binding his hands behind the chair, with a knife that was attached to the front of his shoe. How in the hell did he manage that?! Somebody’s being practicing Yoga…..

Anyway, yes it was quite cheesy. For a cynical man such as myself I just can’t accept that two armies stopped trying to kill each other simply because a girl blew a trumpet. It a tall order to accept that.

We were all hoping for that tragic ending but instead were hit with super happy smile family wish ending.
    However if I was to change the ending myself I would say that it would be better if when they got into the tank that they were shot down and collapse in the woods. There each one of them is deeply injured except for the roman girl. The deeply urge her to run away and they all lie in the snow. One of the girls asks Kanata to play her trumpet one last time. Kanata brings it to her mouth but finds that she can’t play it well because of her injuries. They all weakly laugh and are reminded of when Kanata could play well. Then they fall unconscious. They wake up in a infirmary. The war when on while they were out but after a message about a truce was brought to a quick end. Maybe something like that.

32. Bruce says:

Eh, it wasn’t that bad. In the end all they managed to do was stall the battle for a couple of minutes while Rio was getting into the field. I doubt that would have actually stopped whatever was going to happen.

I’m more disappointed that they didn’t explain much of the old technology/war/skeleton.

33. Firechick says:

Don’t hate me for this, but I thought the ending for this is rather decent. I never expected Rio to come back though. The only thing I REALLY REALLY LOVED about this episode was that THEY BROUGHT THAT AWESOME FRENCH SONG BACK!!!

34. inkka says:

Hmm For me It’s a good ending. Don’t great and emotional as Kobato. But much better than I prediction when I have seen you comment.

At least They didn’t used the song to stop war directly like some of macross series.But they used it to buy time for Rio(That now is fiancee of the Rome’s prince OK It’s the condition).to come in the battlefield to stop the war. It’s the thing that already build-up for.

And what the problem to see people stop to hear that song. You know.It’s the song that Iliya used to play. And even Rome people know about that song(Look like when the time that these two country have wars. Iliya will concern and play this at battlefield. It’s the reason that even Kanata know that song). And Iliya isn’t the normal people. She is the princess of helvetia !!.
    And she is very kind people.(look at the way that she died.)So It didn’t strange to see people still admire her and her song too.

And if you see the soldier and people’s reaction. They suffer enough form war.(At least the main girls have some of sad experience too. So this reason can worked). They fight because the higher say them to fight. but It didn’t the thing that they truly want to do. Thay want peace !!

I’m happy to see the peace too. Once that war anime didn’t have true war.The Era that always have war every day has passed.(This anime want to tell us about that for sure). It’s time for peaceful now.

35. psgels psgels says:

Firechick: I’ve been noticing that whenever you disagree with me, you put up disclaimers as “don’t hate me”, et cetera. I just wanted to say that there’s no need for me to hate you, as I don’t mind it at all when people have their own opinion. ;)

Really, that ‘abysmal’ rating is very much my own reaction after watching that episode. I can very much imagine that other people would have completely different ones.

Customize
Just stumbled through "The Most Boring Anime Taste" video essay by Digibro and I found it bullsh*t. He attacked other's taste just because it was too "safe"? Who is he to judge? Why does he get so work up on that nonsense 3x3 mosaic? Why do I even bother to listen to it (and I did). Words fail me.
Christ, the site now loads in 77 milliseconds in Europe. You poor Australians with your 7 seconds. Although, I want to do something about that.
@Aidan All ages? Bit weird considering I don't expect many kids to play that game anyways, so I understand fans' gripes. But in the end, people always get up in arms over the dumbest shit like censored nudity.
People actually said that men tend to treat their partner (when they're living together) exactly the way they treat their moms, so here you go.
afgm
I wonder if your attitude towards moms is correlated with your relationships with and attitudes towards women in general.
mothers are mothers, if they are bitches, leave them, but don't hate them. never
look nice. i prefer the one at the top. just looks more vast to me... and i's a change of pace to the current
@Anon68842, depends on the type. If it's the abusive drunk ignorant type then yeah, fuck em. But if we are talking the ordinary variety I say give them a break. They do more for you that you might think.
fuck them
we agrees that moms are bitches
And in Visual novel news, Dies Irae is getting a localisation. That's another one off the VN bucket list. I heard it was notoriously hard to translate. Though people are making a stink over it being all ages but I couldn't care less. All ages just means no shoehorned sex scenes and that's fine in my book.
@Topgavin, I never quite got that from Honoka but I prefer a character to be imperfect rather than perfect. Saints are boring and having a character always do right is predictable. While I somewhat understand the appeal, one thing that never sat right with me regarding "cute girls,cute things" shows is how utterly manufactured the characters are.
Started watching Love Live and it's made me wonder; is it better to have an mc that does things annoyingly wrong or satisfyingly wrong? Like, Yui from k-on does a lot wrong but it never leads to anything wrong or bad, but Honoka's rather selfish and ends up screwing things up for people. I know doing this is good for char. development but I honestly enjoy these shows more as moeblob peacefulness.
Hey
afgm
i did summer session so I have a midterm every two weeks
@afgm Midterms? Most university/college systems would be starting school right around this time.
afgm
Midterms have been slowing me down considerably haha
afgm
@K-off: yeah I did! thanks for that. I've been looking through the code stuff, just getting to know it.
reaLjustified
I think the rabbit character does the job
reaLjustified
I think the banner might look even better without the girl. Or make her tiny and off in the distance. I don't know, I'm not an artist by any stretch so that's just me.
Finally bought my first new car, a 2015 Altima, my used Sentra served me well for 3 years but damn was it a pain in the ass, and of course its trade in value was fuck-all. But luckily my credit is good enough for me to land a relatively low annual interest rate. Which is excellent because I need to shave off my remaining student loans to maximize my dti since I want to purchase a home
You might say the new banner will be...Friendtastic!
I'm fairly content with either the top one or the bottom one either way. Though the current banner does have the character standing on the left.
@Friend Looks great, and I prefer the bottom one. Maybe it's just me but the tree hugging the leftmost edge makes it look a little inclusive.
@Afgm Forgot to tell you but I did change your status a few days ago, hope you noticed it.
It's beautiful, Friend
Fri3nd
@Anonymous Thank you, it's my values, a quick lasso selection and a levels adjustment should give that a quick fix :P
Looks really nice. some lighting variation to create a sense of depth and atmosphere would be nice @Friend. It looks quite flat for some reason even though you have four layers to play with
Ikhta
@Kaiser Eoghan Yeah I think the same too. Hopefully. Thanks Kaiser
Friend
Here is what it will more or less look like by the end (https://i.imgur.com/hnB8lpd.png) I'm going to render the rest and add more atmosphere with some wisps of light. Let me know which one you prefer! If I'm not happy with it by the end I might even just scrap it, I don't want to force a design for the site :D
heard*
afgm
Unfortunately, I have heared that Amanchu is actually propaganda from an alien species set on annihilating civilization through cultural and religious dominance
@Ikhta: You can relax on that front and breathe easy, Amanchu is basically simple, cute slice of life quasi-sports comedy that kind of gets more moe-ish later on.
Ikhta
Oops sorry. After I send a msg, I can see my previous msgs. Sorry about that. Weird, why is the chat box like this o_o
Ikhta
I just reloaded the page my msgs are gone. Wth is wrong with this website? Why was msg deleted?
Ikhta
Does anyone know?
Ikhta
Hi can anyone tell me is Amanchu illuminati or not? I'm a christian. I don't want to be watching it if its demonic,anti christ or illuminati.
@Aidan: I'm syked for baldr sky and that other apparently fucked up one thats getting translated soon we talked about with ninja.
...damn you shoutbox...auto-hyphening me as you do...
Ah, how things change, at 19? I think I was at the time I remember un-ironically thinking school days ending/second half was clever/different/subversive. Now I find it idiotic, silly and manipulative regarding the protag being a cheap attempt to get the audiences hate.
Some don't seem to like the second season of EF as much as the first, just putting that out there. I remember its visual style being a selling point and shaft at their A-game stylistically. Wish I'd watched it dubbed though, the eyepatch girls voice was irritating as all hell in Japanese.
EF is alright. I can promise it's not another school days.
Bleh 91days running behind schedule and had to run a recap episode. Doesn't bode well.
Do you recommend that I watch EF? I don't want another School Days.
Yep. They are making it out that shes a relative of Luvia.
I mean, I didn't even realize she was supposed to be a Finn before you said that, I didn't caught on that when anime called Miyu "transfer student from Finland", its because Luvia sort of adopted her into Edelfelt family or something?(iirc)
Anyway, so regardless of subjective experiences, does anyone have a clue why Luvia Edelfelt is a Finn anyway? .-. I'd have thought she is anime British... Is there actual reason besides "let's pick random European country"?
Yeah I wouldn't mind message deletion on those ones
If you want I can delete those messages. Anyway this chatbox refreshes every two minutes so you might need to refresh the page to see new posts.
I mean, like, you pointed out that I was talking about superficial stuff right before I point out that I was referring to superficial stuff :'D So yeah, blergh, wasted time writing that
Also ah dang it, you posted something right before I posted it so you just ninja'd me .-.
Meant to write "(so countries that aren't England, German, France-)" xD
Oops typo there
Well yeah, I haven't checked how many times each of different European countries are mentioned in variety of Japanese media, all I said was that out of lesser known countries(England, German, France, Spain, etc) I have seen Finland referred most and that weirds me out xD
Anyway I get what you mean but I feel you just focus too much on drawing connections on a superficial level. If you simplify something down you can draw connections between anything but it's the details that make all the difference.
@Masky, But whats the point of making a statement if that statement isn't true or at least holds ground? Generalized statmements are annoying because they are often said in ignorance because the one making the statement hasn't bothered to verify it and is basing it entirely on an unreliable and selective memory.
Things that are generally true tend to be true generally
This is why generalized statements are annoying, because someone always take them too seriously and nitpicks "but it doesn't happen that often" or "when you say always it isn't always" xD
I dunno why I bother sometimes, since its not like you want to understand what I mean anyway : D
@Aidan: Bah, meanie~
afgm
the technology isn't super refined yet, but it definitely has the potential to make drawn animation obselete
afgm
The setting is especially enriched by the CGI
afgm
Berserk is amaaaziiing! Oh my god! The animation is so detailed, movement wise! You can't get that with drawings.
@SuperMario: lol yeah
@Mario, That sucks. Though I often find realistionships too troublesome to bother with.
@Masky, no you often don't. You tend to make random generalized statements. Hence why I assumed this was also a generalisation based on small cases. And it still is.
But Flowers of Evil is a great series, I agree
@afgm: you talking 'bout the anime, right? Because the events after the anime are when sh!ts just got real.
afgm
It's one of my favorite series
afgm
@SuperMario: Flowers of Evil is anti-romance, but it is a celebration of love apart from it. Nothing makes me more hopeful than to watch a protagonist recover from a prolonged and debilitating manic episode.
So I guess technically she does have Finnish name even though it doesn't really sound like it to my ears...
Just to note Luvia is tiny municipiality here, never heard of it before though. Edelfelt sounds like it has Swedish origin, but it is name that is name of apparently somewhat famous Finnish painter. I haven't heard of that guy, but I don't really know many Finnish painters because I'm not into art history.
Joking aside, like I said, Finland is mostly mentioned in otaku pandering material for some bizarre reason. For example, I once saw review of game that is about stripping vampires(not hentai game, can't remember name though) and I noticed it had one random Finnish character who actually did have Finnish name.
@Aidan: Hah, take that for being arrogant "its on your head" : D I know what I'm talking about most of the time
But isn't it fitting that the anime/manga I'm currently following is Flowers of Evil, a pretty much anti-romance manga. Well, might as well write a reflection on the manga if I feel up to it :)
@Kaiser: I wish I were joking, but it's okay. I don't want to bring the atmostphere of the shoutbox down by my personal affairs.
@afgm: thanks man. Well I'm just keep moving on, no use thinking back too much on that.
Oh. whoa whoa, I thought Mario was taking the piss/joking with that post...thought wrong.
afgm
@SuperMario: That sucks man. How are you holding up? I know long distance relationships can be hard to maintain -- it gets pretty lonely.
Really glad to see that Vinland saga has gotten properly good again, it was starting to get back on track slowly but surely, now it, with this new chapters revelation fully has,
Ireland was mentioned in Nabari no ou and an episode of original gundam, two of gundam 00s characters are Irish.
I don't like generalized statements, much prefer Colonelized ones actually.
There was a dating sim adaptation by studio deen in 2003 that did a girl of the week format, one of the girls was finnish.
Just broke up with my girl after 3 years. Figure that it never works out for a long-term relationship... (That's a generalized statement right there)
So that's one. Can't say I remember seeing Finland elsewhere besides that show where all the countries are turned into anime characters.
Luvia Edelfelt is from Finland?! Well damn you learn something new every day.
And now I find a screenshot of them saying Miyu is from Finland. Which is weird because nothing of the sort was mentioned in the manga.
Most I seen was anime characters saying Norway which was generally used as a means of saying NO WAY.
@Anon48363, its sad that when I see a comment like this my first reaction is suspecting its a Bot. Thanks though.
@Masky, nope. No they didn't. I think this may be in your head.
Been enjoying the site for 7-8 years, if not longer. Thank you for your efforts in keeping the editorial line intact wrt reviews and happy to discover new content in the process. Keep up the good work!
Anyway, speaks of your "high taste" I guess. Finland gets brought up in some of otaku fanservice material for some bizarre reason. I'm weirded out by that since Finland is most obscure backwater place I've seen mentioned most out of other obscure countries xD
Of course it is possible I'm remembering wrong too(and did read wrong) and they did mention it only once :P
How funny you say that and then mention that weird magical girl spinoff right after wards xD The part where they introduce Miyu to rest of class has teacher saying she is transfer student from Finland, unless I read subtitles wrong
Gonna wait on the Prisma Illya episode post. Figure I cover two episodes in one considering the slow pace isn't giving me much to work with.
Got to say I thought this would give me much more to talk about.
I don't remember Finland ever being brought up in anime. Or video games. Or anything for that matter.
Speaking of the preview I have at least checked the source material. Just need to buckle down and start writing it.
@Bam: I know right? :D
Bam
I agree with K-off regarding keep the business end of stuff off the shoutbox- I just have no means of communicating with all of ya'll. We can Skype, but I suggest Google hangouts for conferencing. That way we may be able to record special podcasts, and now's probably a good time to get this to the next level.
Bam
I also volunteer to help with the workload for the season preview. I would be down to cover two series, but they have to appeal to me, cause there's no way I can be fair and PG-13 with the reviews of aweful shows.
Bam
@Masky: "Generalized statements are in general rather annoying". Hehe, that awefully sounds woefully like a generalized statement to me m8.
Bam
First Dark Souls III DLC titled Ashes of Ariandel just confirmed for an Oct 25th release. Thankfully this time, all regions and platforms are getting the expnasion on the same day. Here is a reveal trailer to launch the Hype Zeppelin:
Bam
Friend: please send me, or post, the finished banner once you have it complete. I would like to take a gander. Thank you.
...Espicially since characters supposedly from there rarely have names that sound Finnish.
So anyhoo, so why is Finland one of countries that tends to get name dropped a lot in anime/manga/japanese video games? As Finnish person that weirds me out
@Friend Damn, kind of surprised to see how abstract some of those concept art are for Mulan. But generalizations are just easier to make if all they care about is validation.
Generalized statements are in general rather annoying, but everyone loves to make them anyway for some reason :D
Friend
I'm nearing completion with our banner, in terms of work-hours Id say 3 hours? But in real life that equates to about 4 days because of stuff.
Friend
Something that annoys me: when a fellow artist makes a generalized statement about the industry by saying something silly like "japanese animated films have more creative input involved." Uggh Google "Alex Nino Mulan Concept" and tell me if you still think that. Sorry about that X/
And it might sound weird to you guys, especially majority of you are in one of the hottest days of summer, but I'm gonna head off to snow mountain for skiing this coming weekend. So expect the weekly posts will be a bit later than usual.
I don't know if that guy @Bond is still lurking around here, but I'm still interested In doing that thing with him
@Aidan: imho, those numbers don't really mean if we have nothing to compare them to. I'll say the ratio between original/ all anime for particular seasons would tell us a lot better
But it does counter the point of "We don't get enough original anime anymore" which in itself was a pretty silly statement.
Of course just because they are original doesn't automatically qualify them as good.
@Anon44887, that logic would apply if it was an exception. 9 original shows last season, 14 original shows this season. 20 in the next. Are they three seasons all an exception?
@AidanAK47: An exception that proves the rule
Just to ask does any of the shows being reviewed have a great soundtrack. Just asking for asking.
@Aidan: I recall he posted under the name Bold/bond, the same poster who made the chart.
Who was it again bemoaning that we don't get enough original(Not adaption) anime anymore? Cause there are 20 original shows next season. Great for anime but hard for me cause what am I gonna write in the preview?
I am a bit too stubborn to burnout.
@afgm, I didn't change a thing.
I hope AidanAK47 would not suffer an Anime Burnout. I love this site and it pains to think that one day, no one will be writing the seasonal previews and yearly summary.
@Aidan: you have 91 days's episode as 9 instead of 7
Bloody hell, even the spambots are referencing Pokemon Go now.
For future reference, let's direct admin dialogue to email, apart from direct feedback.
@Mario We're working on allowing users to set up accounts.
And the constant anonymous names just keep bugging me. Can we make it back to the old shoutbox, where you have to put down your name in order to write message?
I think it's one thing leads to another. he's getting too burnout that he doesn't know what to write anymore.
@Anon36049, pretty much what he said. Though it seems to be a combination of anime burnout and writers block.
He suffered from anime burnout and is getting on with real life.
Hi guys I havent been around for a long time. Does anyone know what happened to psgels? I see that the new posts are not his.
Disgaea 2 coming to steam. Sweet.
Gotta finish Disgaea 1 and hope they don't screw up the port on release day again.
Illuminati are everywhere, regardless of wherther it's anime or not. Sword Art Online was the work of the illuminati. All in the name of the gaint magic eyeball triange god do they rule the landscape of entertainment medium.
Also Magic Eyeball-kun also argees that Rem is best girl. And none shall dare denounce that claim.
@Anony35181: never thought they're that much interested in anime thou
@supermario, illuminati confirmed
Is it just me or couple of messages from the shoutbox just gone missing?
Haven't been watching it myself, but apparently in Taboo Tattoo, that large-chested high school girl died while running *onto a live battlefield* to check on her boyfriend with a shirt that said "flag". 10/10
@afgm Sent you a message.
@Friend Looks good, I'd be interested in seeing multiple witches as well.
Chemotherapy is a cause of cancer rather than a cure.
If you know someone dying of cancer, immediately inform them that allopathic medicine will kill them and turn them to natural remedies which often work.
"Medicine and science are powerfully institutionalized, but no institution or profession has existed for the purpose of encouraging people to act reasonably." - Ray Peat
afgm
@Friend: yeah it's a problem
@Koff: I emailed you a while back. did you get it?
Fri3nd
Huh, I can't use my username.
@Bam You're right, I'll work on it.
Bam
@K-off: It's moments like these that really remind you of mortality. People pull thru tho. medical science has come far in that field; but definitely not far enough.
Bam
@Friend: It's looks pretty good. I like Mario's suggestion of a series of witches, but a solitary one is more in-tune with the current banner. I would say however that there is too much dark in the negative space to the right. Could be just me tho.
Bam
@Kaiser: a series of consecutive 'yes'. I was really into Laloux, but FP is the one I liked the most. I've been watching Mr. Robot since season 1, and it's well worth your time. Not really all that cyberpunkish tho; mostly just cyber. And anybody who hasn't read Gibson's masterpiece is a fool of a Took.
@Bam: Have you been looking into that Mr Robot series? I heard its meant to be some kind of cyber thriller, it could be our thing. Also have you read Neuromancer?
And I suppose that brings me to that stranger things show then, I love horror so I guess that caught my eye, but apparently its a family/kids thing =< don't know whether to bother.
I still say it takes me that extra bit of convincing to watch a childrens animated film.
@Friend: The banner is in good hands I see.
Well Coraline wasn't written by Laika. It was written by Neil Gaiman. Laika just adapted it. Still I would like to check out Kubo to see what all the hype is about.
@anony29442: I will watch Kubo this coming week so I will comment on the movie then. But I'm not that surprise if Kubo has a weak writing. Laika never really great at story development: I mean Coraline is exellent, ParaNorman is just okay and Boxstrolls writing is just so underdeveloped and full of plotholes
@friend: wow. It looks awesome. But why only one witch? ^^
Friend
Hey everyone! Just an update on our new banner, here's my WIP up to now: [link src="https://i.imgur.com/0QSv6IK.png
I'm"] trying a witch as a tribute to one of psgel's favorite anime maho shojotai. Feedback is welcome, I have a lot left to do. A 5:1 aspect ratio is the weirdest dimension I've ever painted in
I just saw Kubo and the 2 strings and im really shocked at all the praise its receiving. People calling it an instant masterpiece on looks alone but not enough are talking about how underdeveloped the characters and story were. It felt as if they made the whole thing up as they went along to the point where I couldnt suspend my disbelief any longer and got irritated.

Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 22 3

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World – 22

Well the battle against the witches cult has started and…ended. I didn’t quite expect my words in the last episode review to turn out prophetic as Betelgeuse and his minions are taken out so quickly and anticlimactically considering how much this arc has built them up to be the main villain. Through Subaru seems to […]

Mob Psycho 100 - 07 3

Mob Psycho 100 – 07

The fall of Ritsu is rapid, perhaps too rapid as the pacing of this series has sped up. Before it wasn’t really apparent that the anime was skipping material to get to the good content but here you can really tell that a significant amount of time has been removed which showed Ritsu’s more gradual […]

91 Days - 07 2

91 Days – 07

Avilio’s machinations are truly coming to fruition and his plan is looking more Monte cristo-eqe as it unfolds. Fango has a new hairstyle and is itching to take down the Vanettis and the Galassias but I must admit that for someone as psychotic as him it’s strange how he allows his girlfriend to steal his […]

orange 08c

orange – 08

This week, Naho and Suwa face a dilemma of whether or not they should follow what written in the letters. The relay is coming and Kakeru is appointed to be an anchor. They have been followed the letters very closely, but the original reality becomes too different from this reality that the content is not […]

Thunderbolt Fantasy 07c

Thunderbolt Fantasy – 07

This week our band heads up to the evil mountain and needless to say they possess absolutely no teamwork spirit whatsoever. It’s as you would expect from a group of seven egocentric members. Our main character Shang Bu Shuan repeatedly gets teased by their comrades, as he finds himself fighting the enemies alone without the […]

Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 21 4

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World – 21

I didn’t think I would be saying this again but here it is, if this was the end of the series then I would consider it a satisfying ending. Sure there would be loose ends left hanging but the level of conclusion to this particular dilemma would leave me content with the series. But this […]

Berserk(2016) - 08 [Reunion in the Den of Evil]

Berserk(2016) – 08 [Reunion in the Den of Evil]

Episode 8 starts with a cold opening that retreads the fateful rendezvous of Guts and Casca. I actually thought that this was a good move, as this is a very big moment in the overall story of the last few arcs. After the Golden Age section we get very few deep character moments, and a […]

Berserk(2016) - 07 [The Black Witch]

Berserk(2016) – 07 [The Black Witch]

I apologize for this very late review, but due to circumstances I didn’t have the means of watching the episode, and hence the week-long delay. I’ll try to at least leave a notification in case of such issues in the future, but otherwise will try to keep the posts steady. So let’s get right to […]

Fate Kaleid Liner PRISMA ILLYA 3rei!! - 07 2

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei – 07

Oh the sweet sweet irony. Well I believe this qualifies for dramatic irony. You know what, I don’t care if it’s technically irony or not. I am calling it ironic. Though why is it ironic? Well the reason for that is that in this episode Illya had her soul transferred to a doll which exactly […]

20160802231314_1

Red Turtle a

The Red Turtle Review – 93.5/100

Flying witch 09d

Flying witch Review – 86/100

Bungou Stray Dogs 12a

Bungou Stray Dogs Review – 62/100

Well, we don’t usually give a review on the first cour of anime show, given the fact that the second part will air next autumn season. But since I’m not certain I would cover its second half, plus I don’t think this series will improve itself, I might as well give Bungou Stray Dogs a […]