Posted by psgels on 27 March 2010 with categories: Armed Librarians - The Book of Bantorra

yeah, so there is no doubt that this show is getting cheesy. The thing is, however, that I’m much more interested in how this finale uses the build-up that has been provided by the rest of this series. In a way, I can understand the criticisms to this series: standalone the characters indeed aren’t the reason to watch this show.

I haven’t really been watching this show for its characters, though. The reason I became a huge fan of this series was because of its storytelling: the way it managed to weave so many storylines together. The boldness of the script and the way that it was able to write these gripping action scenes, simply with this plot that had so many interesting ideas stuffed into it, combined with its powerful and over the top soundtrack.

I really love it when anime decide to show off what they’re good at. The reason why I’m also such a big fan of Noloty and Volken was not because what they were, but what they represented. I really believe that every anime should focus what it’s good at, and this finale has been truly action-packed, throwing tons of plot twists and ideas into the mix and exactly what I’ve been looking for! While other series this season have more realistic characters, none of them really excell in the same magnitude that Bantorra’s plot has been impressing me with, week after week after week. THAT’s exactly why I already consider this to be a huge contender for my favourite show of 2010, even though we’ve still got three seasons to go before I can say for sure. it’s SO going to be a shame to see this series end next week, because I’ve been enjoying every single minute of it.
Rating: *** (Awesome)

1. Alec says:

there were some cheesy parts, buts its not that horrible… people were like complaning bout how cheesy the episode was, so i thought that we were gonna have a horrible episode, but we didnt

2. Nayrael says:

Who cares if it is cheesy as long as it is good? And this episode was awesome :D

3. jose says:

finally i watched hamyuts defeated for someone at least for some time ,but the true is i wanted hamyuts for be the winner ,but at this part i don’t know exactly who was the good side and the evil side ,but i think it was very sad when mirepoc was very frightened and she ran to the place of the acting director and was in shock when she saw hamyuts like that, it must be a great shock saw the most powerful person who you think can protect you like that,but i don’t know if hamyuts was only acting her defeat because in the last part she was very confident

4. Forwho says:

It seems like some characters are coming back next episode! That’s what I was hoping for, even though it’s cheesy haha. Seriously enjoy this show a lot! It’s way underrated IMHO.

5. PhantomX says:

It was just the end of the episode was cheesy, and that it’s setting up the next one for it. Was it a bad episode? Not at all, but it was also not one of the show’s best.

6. Mwoha says:

Terrible episode
    What with the random reviving of people and the crap explanation of why Hamyuts didn’t die. Plus Hamyuts acting really out of character in the talk/fight with Ruruta.

Such a shame. All that buildup wasted

7. psgels psgels says:

Mwoha: um, you do realize that all of this happened inside Ruruta? What we was was merely the same that happened in the Enlike arc, just on a larger scale.

8. Troyen says:

I’ve been disappointed with this last story arc. Watching the invincible Hamy go up against the near-invincible Ruruta for ten minutes was pretty boring and its easy to predict how its going to end.

I think the show really shines when it focuses on multiple storylines and multiple characters simultaneously, not so much when there’s only two or three real characters (the others just kinda came, threw some punches, and vanished) and one storyline.

I am curious how the revival of Mirepoc will play out though.

9. Mwoha says:

@ Psgels

I think where this differs from the Enlike arc is that it had some sort of purpose, and the dead characters only appeared to say half a sentence each in a cameo by departed spirits sort of way.

Here it just looks like it’s been done because there needs to be an end to the story and they couldn’t be bothered to flesh out new characters to play out the story in a convincing way, so they just pulled the old “Mental Battle” trick to reanimate old characters and finish off whatever story part is left.

I still think the story up to this point was brilliant, and hope they can pull off an ending that will at least be enjoyable to watch, but I think this episode definitely took away something from the Bantorra experience

10. billish says:

They havent brought any characters who have died in the ‘real world’ back to the ‘real world’. Any of the character cameos in this episode and the next exist only because their books were fed to Ruruta (his power).

Anyways I think they’re doing a great job with this anime; everything makes sense on one level or another, whereas many anime series have had trouble simply creating a story that works from beginning to end.

This is one of the better new animes I have seen, and I hope next weeks finale lives up to the expectations I have for it.

11. Mwoha says:

@Billish

True, it’s just seeing pretty much every single character that they killed of again in a sort of OH HI way (except Volken!) sort of cheapened death for me.

And I’m was probably being rather harsh there by saying it was a terrible episode. I suppose after those runs of brilliant episodes can’t really be put out by a few cringeworthy moments in a couple. By any other anime’s yardstick Bantorra is still doing pretty well I suppose, though I maintain that it is still a dip in its form by its own standard.

by the way just wanna take a moment to thank psgels for the blog, I always look forward to your take on Anime as normally it is put together in a straight to the point kind of way. Thank god for at least one blog on the internet without the blogger being an insane fanboy or a sucker for moe or whatever. Plus the commenters also say interesting things :o

12. PhantomX says:

We’re not going to see Volken, since his book is with Mirepoc… though maybe the way Mirepoc is crucial to the whole plan is that she has to get him in there somehow (or influence Ruruta in some way).

13. Mr. nobody says:

the true power of HAMY!!!!! *random cheese wind blows around her* and then she says come to my aid “those who love me” HUH????? didn’t you kill their asses for no discernible reason and don’t most of them despise you for how you went about things??? WHO WRITES THIS $HIT ?… but comparing “this $hit” to other selections this season i guess this is one of the better shows *rolls eyes*

14. Astral100 says:

Very bad episode. The series is falling apart with this rushed and non-sensical ending.
    And you are saying Code Geass was a trainwreck?
    Why can’t a good series end with a good ending that actually makes sense and completely answers all the questions for a change?
    I can’t remember the last time I saw a good ending. What I saw here so far, makes me go WTF?!? Not a good feeling for an episode before the last one.

Most of the stuff that happened in this episode just went over my head. Storytelling? Are you kidding me?

15. Machi says:

I think the thing with cameos or ‘revivals’ of dead characters is it will always run the risk of being cheesy or come of as ‘cheap’. Precisely, as it runs counter to logic and lets face it not much shows can pull off suspension of disbelief easily (nor is it easy to pull it off, not just in anime but in many things best I’ve seen are those that use it as hallucinations and such).

Yet, as noted there is some attempt at least by the show to suspend disbelief since what we’re seeing are the contents of Ruruta’s stomach. From the previous episode, upon seeing Colio, you’re already aware something is off. What I would criticize instead is what could be the choice of characters brought back to help Hamyuts, since I’d be wondering as to whether or not they were devoured and should be there (Mokkania ok I’m fine but Noloty?). Still it would be an exaggeration to call this episode terrible without taking into consideration the first half.

Seeing Hamyuts completely unhinged as she attacked Ruruta and enjoying herself to the fullest so far is one of the best scenes I’ve seen from this anime. Its completely twisted and just so Hamyuts, furthermore I’ve never seen such a great way of showing a masochistic. The fevered pitch is what sticks to me for this episode. Of course the change of heart on the latter quarter is well disheartening but nevertheless though it is cheesey at least the build up to the end leaves a sense of plausibility, meaning its not just some random strawn together happy ending for the sake of it ala Clandad.

16. EINSOF says:

@MachiYou make very solid points, nice.

As for myself, i have very much enjoyed this series, even at this very episode. so far, the events are playing out to the logic of the universe. I dont see any “Deus ex machina” cuz so far all of the events till now have been carefully planned out and characters deaths and emotions well told. I see some poeple starting to build up the “bash ball” and that normally happens when a series comes close to its end. this series has been and stream of well told events and plot twists and i think poeple expect the ending to be one big plot twist with no real answer so they can expect more in the future.

17. PL says:

The thing about Noloty is that Ruruta has demonstrated that he likes to eat books of people who follow some path to its fullest, Ruruta loves extremists, and Noloty had an ideal that she followed more fully than anyone. Mokonia had one of the most fearsome powers in the story, only schlamuffen could counter it. And honestly, a little cheese is good for the lymph…would we really want to see their deaths be totally meaningless? I dig some kafka, camus and hesse from time to time, but that kind of existential soul-battering isn’t why I watch anime. Yes, I want some realism, or a good enough reason to suspend my disbelief based on prior foreshadowing about the possibilities, and that was done here. I don’t want a happy ending at the cost of undermining the story. They didn’t do that in this episode, instead they brought together a number of elements of the show, and numerous things foreshadowed from every arc in the story, to build toward an ending that should be as satisfying as the rest of the series, without leaving me feeling like an alienated cockroach unable to approach humanity.

18. Denizen says:

It was glorious to finally see Hamyuts in despair – after 25 episodes of her being solidly confident, it had an awesome impact.
    The animation with the faces in this episode was something special too – it really added to the drama.

And, really, I appreciate the drama – even Lascall Othello herself says that if it ended without a bang, it would be disappointing.

19. MsteaK says:

A bit cheesy, but since I love Hamy’s character, I really don’t care all that much for the ending of this episode. Was it iffy? Yes, absolutely.

I just want to read the light-novels, you can really tell that they’re cramming so much content in only 20 minutes of screentime.

20. PL says:

After what she did to Volken, and I don’t mean killing him but cruelly and without any reason destroying his ideals before doing so, I just couldn’t love Hamyuts anymore.

21. MsteaK says:

That’s exactly why I find her charming. She’s a complete asshole that can still act noble from time to time.

And of course because I’m fed up with moe and its submissive doormats.

22. PL says:

I just think she crossed a line at that point that could no longer make her a sympathetic character for me. I like strong female leads also, but not evil bitches…

23. MsteaK says:

I disliked Volken and was happy to see his sense of justice being dwindled away. I guess that has something to do with it too. Hamy’s by no means a Balsa or Alita, but I still like her.

24. PL says:

Ah, too me Volken and Noloty were the real leads in the show, with their strong ideals. I like characters with strong ideals when they 1) Have the bad-ass-ness to back them up and 2) Aren’t just stupidly simplistic in their worldview. Volken couldn’t help that he didn’t know about the corruption in the library, since nobody else really knew either. And his sense of justice was more complex than your usual clueless “everybody just play nice” lead. And, if Mirepoc hadn’t first tricked him, I think he would have succeeded in revealing the truth to everyone. His only mistake was not telling Mirepoc what was going on before he took off. If he’d done that, and she hadn’t wiped her memory, everything would have gone down really differently. Granted, I love the show for the boldness it took to kill him off and I hope he stays good and dead. I just don’t care for Hamy anymore because of it. And I’m cool with that.

25. Hunter-Wolf says:

Wow, what’s with everyone missing the entire point of this episode (and maybe even the series), i mean finally everything is coming full circles and making sense and people start complaining about “deus ex machina” and cheesiness … did you people actually watch the series !!!

There is nobody ‘brought back’ .. everyone shown in the episode IS still dead .. everything is going inside Rurata not in the real world .. that dimension clearly and from the very beginning of the series -as seen in the Enlike arc- has its own rules, Rurata is as we know now an avid book eater like Enlike host was … so every single person’s book that has been eaten by him means that person’s essence is trapped inside of Rurata …. it would only be cheap if at the end of the series they return back to the real world .. but i don’t think that will happen .. actually being helpful to Hamy’s fight gives way more meaning and value to their deaths .. and their life which they lived to the fullest.

And as for how everything is coming full circles … well … for the reason above they ended up inside Rurata’s body .. who was trying to find happiness in their stories to help Nienu out of her despair (Nienu who also happened to be trapped inside his body as well) … but now he figured out her despair is incurable and that she became the incarnation of destruction … destruction that those he ate to please her will help him stop … things has been going in this direction from the very beginning .. and if you don’t like it you probably should have quit watching the series at the beginning instead of complaining now.

And as for Hamy .. i really liked her this episode … IMO she isn’t really evil at all .. it is the hell (all the torture and experiments) that she went through that twisted her personality like that (having her character and entire life cast to love death and kill Rurata)… probably she can be called one of the best anti-hero female characters … seeing her in despair was really strange and touching considering how strong and lunatic she was during the entire series .. but i guess everyone has a break point .. funny thing though .. she finally showed her good side after dying in the real world XD

Now i wonder what role will Meripoc play … it is probably something very important .. important enough for Lascal to sacrifice its existence to wake Meripoc .. interesting .. can’t wait to see the final episode.

26. Anomandaris says:

I really don’t see the cheesiness in this episode …

Ruruta is a demi-god who has consumed 100,000 books, there’s really no way for anyone to take him down in the real world. The ‘mental battle’ finale actually makes sense … Makia knew that engineering a mortal to rival Ruruta in raw power would have been impossible, and so he engineered someone who could attack Ruruta from within, where the rules of reality do not apply

Shiron’s interaction with Colio and the dimension inside Enrique have already made it evident that ‘Books’ are not simply static things which are read … but actual Souls which possess some consciousnous of their own. So a final battle between the Souls of Books and Ruruta is not something which has been sprung upon us out of the blue.

Where’s the cheese?

27. Hunter-Wolf says:

@Anomandaris

Well said indeed, but there is something here … i don’t think the final battle will be aganist Rurata .. but actually aganist Nienu (who is now a manifestation of destruction).

Actually Rurata seems to have realized his mistakes and had a change of heart (specially after the talk with Colio Tonnis spirit.

Customize
I loved the special ED so much.
Alright... Yuri this week was interesting in so many ways.
I'm also planning to catch BBK/BRK before the year end soon. I'm also find that series entertaining despite its obvious flaws
But come to think of it, I do know what its like to enjoy something admittedly flawed, the first season of utawerumono was like that for me, I have nothing but criticism of it in all aspects but yet ended up being one of those things I somehow enjoyed watching.
Ah, only flippflappers, natsume, drifters on my end.
I wonder if anyone here is still watching Bubuki Buranki? It's weird but despite how deeply flawed it is I find it fairly enjoyable. Though that fantastic soundtrack certainly helps.
@Anon, Oh they announced a Sonic movie too. Apparently it's a mix of live action and animation.
I am suprised SEGA didn't announce an Sonic movie and went with games like Altered Beast and Crazy Taxi, they probably could have just ripped off one story from the Archie Sonic comics and make an movie based on that, preferably the story where Sonic travels in the multiverse to fight an super powerful Sigma alongside Classic Megaman and Megaman X,Steet Fighter cast,Breath of Fire 3 cast and more
@Anon, A parody Grindhouse film actually could work. I consider Overkill the best of House of the dead. Thing is there actually is already a house of the dead movie so this would be their second attempt. The first attempt...lets just say it didn't work out.
And House Of The Dead: Overkill is probably the best game in the franchise to adapt, i mean, it has Isaac Washington in it and dude's awesome.
None of those games have much of a story, but at least House Of The Dead could make for an entertaining silly movie, i mean House Of The Dead: Overkill is freaking awesome and has silly cutscenes at the start and end of every level.
At most moonbeam city seems sylistically interesting.
Archer I simply lost track of and it ended up getting to long to catch up on it.
Relatively old news, although I've been joking with friends about what if scenarios for a streets of rage film. I know there is a cg/live action hybrid sonic film in the works. I kind of want to think a shinobi or streets of rage film could work if they went full on 70s style action film.
None of these games are played for the story. You would be better off just making a new game for them instead of a movie.
I haven't even seen Archer. On another note SEGA is planning a bunch of live action movies of their franchises and boy do they all sound like a horrible idea. Shinobi, Golden Axe, Virtua Fighter, The House of the Dead, Crazy Taxi, Streets of rage and Altered Beast.
@Anon522497: hmm, I found Moonbeam City underwhelmed and for Archer up until their last season I actually got a bit tired of the cast (couldn't finish that season 7)
If i wanted Archer i would just watch Archer or Moonbeam City like everyone else.
Bloodivores
Anyone here watching Pacific Heat? It's an Aussie Archer-ripoff aired in Netflix last week. I actually enjoyed the 1st episode, not that great but everyone panned it like a plague.
@Anon, Who?
#StephanieJaworowiczIsBeautiful
@Mario: That'd be the compiliation film. I watched that based on hearing that the film version trimmed back on the shows weaker moments.
@Kaiser: was it the compilation film or the series itself? That scene is the highlight of that first season. I'm always a fan of KyoAni so it's very natural that I enjoy this series a whole lot.
I watched the first season of sound euphonium, not much to say for it other than I liked the teacher guy and the scene where the black haired girl tells the main character that she thinks shes hiding behind a mask. Animation was as expected of kyoani good. All of those emotion shots though and some of the melodrama...
@Kaiser, it does stop if you make an account.
Hmmm there we go again, it delayed sending my message for longer than it should have.
Anyone notice today and last night that the site has had some loading issues? I kept getting an error page for a while and it was also loading a bit more slowly. A server issue?
Have to say, Flip Flappers ep 5 was pretty good. I love atmospheric settings like that.
Looks like an Epee. The large bell guard, the fact that they are focusing on thrusting attacks instead of slashing (mostly). Fencing is alot of fun. Be prepared for some bruises though, as some people put their full body weight behind their thrusts.
I have one last dumb question, Can you tell what types of blade of Juri in Utena? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGsVSSUv_i0
@Lenlo: the more you described the more I found fencing interesting. I might take a look around my town to see if we have Fencing here (the curse of living in a small town).
Blades are slightly different, yes, but mostly just in their guard and how much they bend. Sabers bend easily, Epee's not so much. Surprisingly Epee is the slowest, because people tend to be more careful. Saber is actually the most aggressive of the blades, atleast at my skill level
That's all they had to do. Just stay inside and let it pass. But for some weird reason they just keep panicking over nothing.
As far as time/alternate world stuff goes this was ridiculously underwhelming. Just finished another movie called triangle and now that's how you do Time travel mindfuckery.
@Mario, I am not fond of movies where people make stupid decisions for no good reason. For example:
"We should just stay inside"
"No, staying inside isn't realistic"
WHY IN THE HOLY HELL ISN'T IT REALISTIC.
Showed that movie to a bunch of friends last year and I remembered one of the girl just shut off the movie after 15'
@Aidan: too bad. I found Cohenrent really funny and entertaining. Some of their twists are stupid but I was actually invested in much of their characters. Maybe because I always love movies about a bunch of characters in an isolated setting
@Lenlo: sounds like Epee is the most "all-out-attack" and aggressive one. Their blades are different as well I assume?
Just watched a movie called coherence and man, what a bunch a pseudo-intellectual garbage that was.
For Right of Way, its basically Person A attacks, Person B parries, Person A hits, Person B hits, Person B gets the point because they took right of way with the parry. Saber and Foil both have that, but Epee does not. Epee is simply "Whoever hits the opponent first, doesnt matter where, whole body is target area"
Theres Saber, Foil and Epee. The main difference is this thing called right of way, but there are other smaller ones like how Saber can hit with the edge and Epee is allowed to hit the entire body, instead of just the chest like Foil
For news, Blood Blockade Battlefront getting second season next year. As it was one of my favorite last year I'm really lokking forward to this second season
@Lenlo: that sounds great. From what I know from fencing there are 3 different types of blade right? So what are the differences between them? (Fencing 101 here)
Although a fantasy sports thing could also generate interest, such as combining sports together to create something totally new.
@SuperMario, Fencing was great. Favorite sport ever and it helped me stay in shape in College. I find Epee to be the best blade, mostly cause I fenced it, but its a very intense 3 minutes. Unlike sports like Soccer and such which is alot of sustained running, Fencing is 3 minutes of Dont-Stop-Moving then wait till next match. Gets really fun once you figure out your own style.
haha, I wouldn't mind either if each episode focus on a single sport/ character/ country. Or even the positive aspects like role models, sports inspirations and stuffs
That Olympic anime sounds great.
And it would be a good excuse to have characters of multiple backgrounds included too.
Could be an 13 episode ova series with 48 minute episodes, and if its to be an ensemble character drama you could have 10 minutes to a each character (the ones being focused on in that episode) in each episode.
Ah yes, aswell as cheating it could also get into "stage parenting", "abuse", "Disabilities" and also the general politics of sports, the backroom stuff.
I'll be the first in line if that olympic anime ever come out. Could be interesting to see the interactions between athletes in different sports, and then fans/athletes/coaches relationship, then the gold rush, doping... So much to talk around to
I don't think theres ever been a manga about hurling either. Hey heres an idea, someone do an ensemble drama anime that deals with the olympics, fit in multiple sports that way.
Personally I find Australian football much more exciting than rugby. Or crickets.
@Kaiser: ha! Interesting that you mentioned Gaelic football, because in Aus we have AFL (Australian Football League), that really similars to Gealic Football to the point sometimes we have the 2 national teams compete each other with modified rules
Hmm, lets see, sport under-represented in anime? Fencing, golf , Gaelic football, bowling, boat racing.
Hey, fencing is actually really cool. How did you like it Lenlo?
You have your point there Topgavin, as I clearly remember many instances where players' legs, backs or even necks got snapped during rugby's tackles. But in regards to Rugby I never really care about it. That and car racing
Its mostly the type of injuries you get that differ I think. Football you get concussions and broken bones and such, while in Rugby you probably get alot of bruises and cuts. Granted I have played neither, I was a Soccer man in highschool and fencing in College
American football has alot of rules, and really is just a bunch of millionaires running around chasing a ball. Rugby however, as Topgavin said, has no pads so when you get hit you get hit HARD
I never ceases to surprise me just how high and mighty visual novel fans can be over Mosaics present in localized games. I mean they are literally complaining about not seeing genitalia yet the way they phrase it, it's like they are fighting against great injustice. If these VNs were Nukige they might have a point but in most cases the sex scenes in question are pointless and shoehorned in.
@Mario Rugby is more extreme *because* it has no protective gear. No hiding behind helmets and cushioned shoulder pads when ya get bowled over.
@Lenlo: I'm no expert but isn't American football a variation of Rugby? And I believe american football is more extreme, considering they have to wear helmets, protection gears and all that
I dont think theres alot of manga about it because its simply not that popular outside the US. As far as it being a battlefield, eeeeh? Not really? You want a battlefield watch Rugby.
I can think of other cool sports that could be interesting to see in anime: Kick Volleyball (Sepak takraw), Bossaball (combined soccer, volleyball in a trampoline), or in the same vein of skate figures this season, why not pole dancing competition???
What other sport is cool and popular that remains original to write about by now? There isn't a lot of manga about it compared to anything else.
American football looks like a battlefield with a visible battleline and everything. Id like it if there wasnt so many darn commercials.
I mean, its a sport. Far cry from best, but its definitely a sport.
@Vonter: or maybe because american football IS the best sports ever?
@Vonter: Most likely due to the middle section of the original anime being the most popular bit.
Can someone explain me how Cobra, is apparently getting an anime around some sort of space american football? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54kNWPr43zE
@Mario: Its not safe enough a film for me to properly recommend. Even to exploitation fans, they might find it too slow others would be too sensitive to it. Really una vita violenca, mamma roma, accatone, hawks and sparrows are what Pasolini is really about.
Now that you watched Salo, would you recommend the film to other people? I personally think it's a masterpiece but it's one of the title that I think people would break up with me if I show them this movie
@Kaiser: even him as a director, both Braveheart and Apocalypto don't do much to me, will see if Hacksaw Ridge going to change my mind (but I'm not to fond with war movies in general). La Notte is in my sooon-to-watch list for years, haha
@Mario: Mel Gibson as a director, not as an actor =)
@Mario: Thats why I prefer the neo-realist/quasi-neo-realism stuff as it deals with the worse off in society. But Antonioni was the master of being able to do films about angsty well-off people, L'aventura, the passenger and La notte for example
@Mario: Its not so much that I dislike post 50s fellini moreso I feel that his throw everything at the screen and hope what sticks method can be hit or miss.
While I don't really mind his later stuffs because he was masterclass, I have a pretty hard time for Paolo Sorrentino's later works. The thing is I don't care much about the high class society so everything is just ridiculously over the top and glamour and I'm tired of it.
I haven't watched nights of cabiria but I did watch La Strada and boy, I was sad for few days after watching it. Fellini mentioned that he was inspired to make this movie when seeing a woman pushing a cart from behind. The film really carry that sense throughout its running
Michael Haneke put Salo in his top 10 films. Quite understandable when you think about it. Still for me one of the movie that affected me deeply.
I really admire Elle for its ability to maintain its sharpness because under other inexperienced directors it could easily becomes a mess. Mel Gibson, really? He's one of the few actors that I absolutely dislike
@Kaiser: The Red Turtle remains one of the the most refreshing time I had this year in cinema, but then again I haven't watched much films lately. Agree with you on Sonia's performance, and I still think they could cut out the first 20' of the film because it feels out of place compare to the rest of the film
Debating whether to bother catching up on I am a hero or watching the film adaptation. I haven't read it since they got rid of that one female character.
@Mario: I've a feeling you'll like nights of cabiria, Fellini was cranking out some solidly effective social-realist dramas in the 50s before he fell into self-indulgence.
Now I have that sound euphonium compilation film downloaded, I should get to that sometime.
@Mario: I also finally watched Salo, I ended up meeting it pretty much halfway. Some parts still retain the ability to effect a modern viewer, having seen his other works though its crazy just how different Salo is to them.
@Mario: Seeing I, daniel Blake tomorrow and rogue one in a few weeks.
@Mario: I hope Mel Gibson and Isabelle huppert win at the next oscars.
@Mario: I liked the red turtle for its visual style of storytelling and animation even if I didn't get as emotionally attached to it as others did. I also watched Aquarius nd was pretty much blown away by Sonia Braga's performance. Elle is now one of my favourite Verhoeven films and its a miracle he managed to maintain such a great balance successfully throughout the film.
I don't care for the sequel of Code Geass at all. Why Spice & Wolf still hasn't got season 3 though is what really bugged me. From what I know their manga and LNs are selling very well
I wonder why that is...
Ah, they were always milking code geass though what with those bajillion-million-billion manga spinoffs.
Still say I was more fond of the character chemistry in spice and wolf as opposed to everything else.
I'll likely pass on the code geass sequel, the memory I have of it has already led to its appeal dimishing for me, I don't want to ruin things further watching an un-neccesary followup. Still avoiding utawerumono's second season for same reasons.
After all there are things which need sequels and things which don't. And Code Geass never needed a sequel after R2's ending. Giving something a sequel can just ruin the conculsion of the orignal series. Case in point. Eureka Seven Ao. Remember that? Cause you shouldn't. Because it was terrible.
Honestly I would have preferred Spice and Wolf Season 3.
So...is anyone gonna mention that Code Geass is getting a sequel?
....Because Code Geass is getting a sequel.
@Anon, I am watching it as well. But I am a bit behind because I am watching the funimation broadcast dub. It's a very good guilty pleasure. I don't find it quite as funny anymore but it's still pure dumb fun.
@Anon487524: I'm still following it and it still remains a fun show to watch. I love the way they do the fan-servicey completely straight.
@anon I'll admit to watching it. While it is very simple and follows the sport anime formula religiously, it's still a blast to watch every week. This is also helped because you have no expectations for it before watching other than "oh god what's gonna happen this week".
Granted, nothing special, just one of those anime whose only worth is being fun to watch without being deep, but Keijo really is fun to watch, easily the best guilty pleasure anime in a long while to me.
I started watching it expecting an crappy fanservice anime with nothing of worth, but it ended up being actually pretty fun and awesome to watch.
Anyone here seeing Keijo?
What's up with 3-gatsu no Lion? Delayed for a week huh?
Checked out Hedeki anno's godzilla re-boot earlier out of curiousity, its a bit plodding/dull at times but sometimes its high camp value played straight is kind of funny, having godzilla evolve during the film was a cool touch and I enjoyed every scene with him and making a Godzilla film today is still very relevant. Not a patch on the old ones though.
I think that movie was just so terrible that people made it into a meme. Stuff like "The Entire Bee Movie Except Evey Time They Say 'Bee' The Movie Speeds Up"
I'm sorry lmao I had to, it seemed so appropriate a moment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1GadTfGFvU
Fun Fact: The whole Bees shouldn't be able to fly thing is a myth.
Badesh
I think that was just a dry realization...
@Topgavin, It's a meme to post the entire script of the bee movie in random places?
....I don't get the joke.
For anyone wondering, I think anon just copy/pasted the entire script for the Bee movie. Memes are goin strong
According to all known laws
of aviation,

there is no way a bee
should be able to fly.

Its wings are too small to get
its fat little body off the ground.

The bee, of course, flies anyway

because bees don't care
what humans think is impossible.

Yellow, black. Yellow, black.
Yellow, black. Yellow, black.

Ooh, black and yellow!
Let's shake it up a little.

Barry! Breakfast i
Actually I think it was up to about episode ten or so I saw.
From what I can recall I watched legend of the galactic heroes somewhere past the part with the Caligula guy.
That is one thing I wonder about the remake. How are they going to make the space battles interesting? Cause for me theres only so many times you can watch tin boxes shoot lasers and explode.
I didn't like LOGH until the third episode. That's when it started to catch my attention. It also helps that I have a interest in history as the plot of LOGH practically reads like genuine history.
In my case the overhype didn't kill it for me as I generally try to avoid that. When I walked into LOGH I was under the impression that it would ahve merit but not be for me. After all I heard it was mostly politics and the politics of Gundam bore me to tears. Funny enough the opposite happened. The space battles bored me but the politics got me really interested.
@Leahcimali, The problem is that the people who say that something is the best thing they ever seen don't actually mean it. Often it's just hyperbole. When talking we other people fans tend to blow certain things out of proportion unintentionally. Overrated is likely the wrong word but you get what I mean.
leahcimali
@AidankAK47 oh and are you going to write a review about it or because psngel already wrote a review of it you are not gonna write it ?
leahcimali
the problem is trying to rank art . Even comparing a comedy show and a story focus show is clearly impossible. @AidanAK47 do you think the overhype of some hardcore logh fan killed you enjoyment of the show ? Because sometimes when you expect nothing of something you can enjoy it more than when waiting for something incredible.
leahcimali
i hear the same thing from fan of lord of the ring, star wars and game of thrones, star trek ... etc. The hardcore fan of those says that they are the greatest things in history ... but saying there are overated is discrediting the quality of those. Nothing is perfect and again maintening equal quality in a longuer running show is impossible. But having a longer story create a more rich background
LookingForKeys
@Mario Kimi no Na ha is pretty damn good. Watched it while in Japan a couple weeks back. The story has well done surprises, and on the graphics side you can *really* see Production IG worked on it.
leahcimali
I don't think saying logh is overated is a good way to say it. All media with great aclaimed critics or even highly popular show suffer from the fan reaction. If fan claim that it is the best things that they have ever saw and you don't agree, it feels overated. But this is only pure subjectivity. Saying he is greastest thing in history is a way for fan to exprim there love
However it has been placed on a unreasonable pedestal that nothing could live up to. Eva is sort of in the same boat. So yes it is overrated but that does not mean it isn't great.
@Leahcimali, if anything is claimed to be the greatest thing in the history of mankind it is overrated. The basic idea that there is a single anime out there which is fundamental and universally better than all other anime regardless of genre or intent is inherently a flawed concept. I do certainly see why LOGH is so highly acclaimed and I believe it is well worth watching.
@Anon, I didn't look into the details of the new LOGH remake. I was planning on doing that when I am doing an anime season preview for it whenever it's going to air next year. For a long anime it does rate highly but even then I am not certain it really needed all 110 of those episodes.
leahcimali
about your comment are you thinking the LOGH anime is overated ? i ask Because you said that there is plenty of anime you consided better .
about the remake won't it be a straight adaptation from the manga remake by the artist that made shiki ?
AidanAK47 personally i really loved legend of the galactic heroes and it is one of the anime that make one of the biggest impact on me. I found it the best "long" anime that i ever seen (more than 24 ep). But comparing it to anime with shorter format is a bit hard. you can make something that have perfect pacing in 1h30 but it is impossible with a 110 ep anime.
Either way I am pretty certain that all other isn't crap to me now seeing as I have seen the so called pinnacle. In fact There are plenty of anime I consider better that LOGH.
There are aspects of its story which wouldn't really work by today's standards.
And I did it. I watched legend of the galactic heroes. I have slain the white whale of anime. It certainly was interesting to say the least but I think the remake coming is going to have trouble. I am in between giving it a 8 or a 9 but it's clear that LOGH is very much a product of its time.
I didn't really care for this weeks flipflappers, the fanservice and also it was even more trigger than I could take.
@Gavin@Mario: I'll get round to your name someday but I think this might be my last chance with shinkai.
@Aidan: That disgaea review made me nostalgic because I remember my friends and I playing it back when it first came out. We found it difficult but were amused by it/liked the characters.
@Aidan: Are the manga posts exclusively for series with only a few chapters translated or series that came out in the past year or so? I've been reading gunka no balthazar and enjoying it enough and think it should get recommendation out there.
Just booked tickets to go see it on Sunday with my little sister. Was surprisingly reluctant but I know she'll like it, I've already seen it but pumped either way.
Your name movie has been showed theatrically here in Aus, I'm planning to rewatch it soon in theatre and then do a review on it. Is that alright with other admins?
so I guess the top 6 will advance to the final are: Otabek Altin (Kazakhstan), Giacometti (Switzerland), Yuri, Yurio, JJ and Phichit? Will be very cool final event haha
At the very least Yuri on Ice shows me how entertaining ice skating can be
@K-Off: have a good trip ahead K-Off. Well, it's still better than Japan (earthquake) I guess
Well, heading to Korea tomorrow. What a time to go. In the middle of Korea's biggest financial scandal since the 80s.
Is it just me, or does the Yuri on Ice opening get more colorful and detailed every week?
Badesh, if you like to check out their other songs, give "Tunnels of Love" and "Romeo & Juliet" a listen. Though I just discovered Telegraph Road quite recently, those 2 songs are qmong my all time favorite
I prefer their ealier version when the band was still together (aLCHEMY 1983), but that Rome 2005 was magnificent too. Seriously with this band diifferent live versions feel like another experience... And that song is criminally under-heard in radio too, because of its running time. A crying shame
Badesh
uhh, found it in better quality. now, THAT is a fitting present for my dad :)
Badesh
well that commentator, that sounds like he's in a soccer match, will get on my nerves though...
Badesh
if you're talking about the rome 2005 version... hell, that's some sweet music. i'll inhale that for the rest of the evening, thanks for that

occulticnine-09-4

Occultic;Nine – 09[Future Days]

The presentation of Occultic;Nine is starting to remind me of speed Racer, an anime from a bygone era which had a rather infamous dub. Basically due to the literal translation, the way which Japanese can say more with less words and the speed of dialogue it required the dub actors to say a large amount […]

mahou-shoujo-ikusei-keikaku-10-2

Magical Girl Raising Project – 10[Super-Hot! Back-to-Back Battle Events!]

I am really starting to dislike how this show is killing off the characters I grow remotely interested in while leaving only the dullest characters to carry the show. Don’t take that to mean I cared about the remaining twin angel that got killed off because her death was pretty deserved. But this cements the […]

drifters-09-3

Drifters – 09[Serious Bomber]

Drifters is at it’s best when the Orte are getting trounced and they are certainly getting a beating here. I could complain over how the Orte are one dimensional villains but after the master race bull and the concentration camp here they are quite literally Nazi’s at this point. Nazi’s are the one type of […]

3-gatsu ni Lion 08

3-gatsu no Lion – 08 [Image – Distant Thunder part 1]

We’re back with 3-gatsu no Lion after a week hiatus from sick leave (I know everyone got sick last week, be it in springtime in this corner of the world, or the start of winter elsewhere) and I’m glad that the show returns in good form. Kyouko might be the most distinctive character the show […]

Flip Flappers 09

Flip Flappers – 09 [Pure Mute]

Again this week, Yayaka takes up the stage and by the end of this episode her arc is basically over, now that she is abandoned by the Cult and is taken over by Cocona and Papika. But what an emotional ride this episode delivers. I’m particularly taken not only by the action and consequence she […]

occulticnine-08-4

Occultic;Nine – 07-08[Happiness is a Warm Gun]

By episode sevens end it did confirm that indeed, the majority of the cast is dead which brings up a whole host of problems. For you see while this twist may seem like a interesting left turn, it only really works if you consider the time a character is shown on screen the only time […]

Sound Eupho 2 - 09

Sound! Euphonium 2 – 09 [Sound! Euphonium]

Two-third of this Fall season have passed and usually this is the time for our shows to reach to their full potential. Sound Eupho, comfortably delivers one of its best episode of this second season. As you can probably tell by the self-titled nature of this episode, our Eupho players are given as the centerpiece […]

mahou-shoujo-ikusei-keikaku-09-3

Magical Girl Raising Project – 09[Notice of New Rules]

Calamity Mary dying was pretty expected and the death that followed was equally something that was bound to happen. Though having a third death was not quite what I expected. Considering the small line in one of the halfway blurbs about Nana having some other intentions I thought she might have more to her than […]

drifters-08-1

Drifters – 08[Mystery Call Me]

It looks to be a trend of drifters to follow a high action episode with a cooling down period. Though it does leave me with little to comment on. Scipio meeting Kanno and neither being able to understand each other lead to what may be one of the few jokes that actually hit with this […]

Strange Frame 00

Strange Frame – Love & Sax (2012) Movie Review – 76/100

Thunderbolt Fantasy 05c

Thunderbolt Fantasy Review – 84/100

Orange - 01 2

orange Review – 73/100

What would you do if you receive letters from your future-self saying that you can change your future? That’s exactly what Naho experienced as she obtains ones from herself 10 years later that urge her to look after her new friend and prevent him from committing suicide. The premise, I agree, is hardly anything groundbreaking, […]

91 Days - 07 4

91 Days Review – 68/100

When taking up the job of checking out every anime season you really can starve for something different. Variety is the spice of life and yet the entertainment industry seems determined to give us more of the same. So in the sea of average high school students gaining superpowers and harems I see an anime […]

Mob Psycho 100 - 03 3

Mob Psycho 100 Review – 80/100

After the explosive popularity of One Punch Man it really was a high bar that another work of the author ONE had to reach. While it didn’t quite manage that it still differentiated itself enough to allow it to be a worthy anime of it’s own right. But admittedly that will depend on whether this […]

[HorribleSubs] Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 18 [480p].mkv_002253.373