Posted by psgels on 27 March 2010 with categories: Armed Librarians - The Book of Bantorra

yeah, so there is no doubt that this show is getting cheesy. The thing is, however, that I’m much more interested in how this finale uses the build-up that has been provided by the rest of this series. In a way, I can understand the criticisms to this series: standalone the characters indeed aren’t the reason to watch this show.

I haven’t really been watching this show for its characters, though. The reason I became a huge fan of this series was because of its storytelling: the way it managed to weave so many storylines together. The boldness of the script and the way that it was able to write these gripping action scenes, simply with this plot that had so many interesting ideas stuffed into it, combined with its powerful and over the top soundtrack.

I really love it when anime decide to show off what they’re good at. The reason why I’m also such a big fan of Noloty and Volken was not because what they were, but what they represented. I really believe that every anime should focus what it’s good at, and this finale has been truly action-packed, throwing tons of plot twists and ideas into the mix and exactly what I’ve been looking for! While other series this season have more realistic characters, none of them really excell in the same magnitude that Bantorra’s plot has been impressing me with, week after week after week. THAT’s exactly why I already consider this to be a huge contender for my favourite show of 2010, even though we’ve still got three seasons to go before I can say for sure. it’s SO going to be a shame to see this series end next week, because I’ve been enjoying every single minute of it.
Rating: *** (Awesome)

1. Alec says:

there were some cheesy parts, buts its not that horrible… people were like complaning bout how cheesy the episode was, so i thought that we were gonna have a horrible episode, but we didnt

2. Nayrael says:

Who cares if it is cheesy as long as it is good? And this episode was awesome :D

3. jose says:

finally i watched hamyuts defeated for someone at least for some time ,but the true is i wanted hamyuts for be the winner ,but at this part i don’t know exactly who was the good side and the evil side ,but i think it was very sad when mirepoc was very frightened and she ran to the place of the acting director and was in shock when she saw hamyuts like that, it must be a great shock saw the most powerful person who you think can protect you like that,but i don’t know if hamyuts was only acting her defeat because in the last part she was very confident

4. Forwho says:

It seems like some characters are coming back next episode! That’s what I was hoping for, even though it’s cheesy haha. Seriously enjoy this show a lot! It’s way underrated IMHO.

5. PhantomX says:

It was just the end of the episode was cheesy, and that it’s setting up the next one for it. Was it a bad episode? Not at all, but it was also not one of the show’s best.

6. Mwoha says:

Terrible episode
    What with the random reviving of people and the crap explanation of why Hamyuts didn’t die. Plus Hamyuts acting really out of character in the talk/fight with Ruruta.

Such a shame. All that buildup wasted

7. psgels psgels says:

Mwoha: um, you do realize that all of this happened inside Ruruta? What we was was merely the same that happened in the Enlike arc, just on a larger scale.

8. Troyen says:

I’ve been disappointed with this last story arc. Watching the invincible Hamy go up against the near-invincible Ruruta for ten minutes was pretty boring and its easy to predict how its going to end.

I think the show really shines when it focuses on multiple storylines and multiple characters simultaneously, not so much when there’s only two or three real characters (the others just kinda came, threw some punches, and vanished) and one storyline.

I am curious how the revival of Mirepoc will play out though.

9. Mwoha says:

@ Psgels

I think where this differs from the Enlike arc is that it had some sort of purpose, and the dead characters only appeared to say half a sentence each in a cameo by departed spirits sort of way.

Here it just looks like it’s been done because there needs to be an end to the story and they couldn’t be bothered to flesh out new characters to play out the story in a convincing way, so they just pulled the old “Mental Battle” trick to reanimate old characters and finish off whatever story part is left.

I still think the story up to this point was brilliant, and hope they can pull off an ending that will at least be enjoyable to watch, but I think this episode definitely took away something from the Bantorra experience

10. billish says:

They havent brought any characters who have died in the ‘real world’ back to the ‘real world’. Any of the character cameos in this episode and the next exist only because their books were fed to Ruruta (his power).

Anyways I think they’re doing a great job with this anime; everything makes sense on one level or another, whereas many anime series have had trouble simply creating a story that works from beginning to end.

This is one of the better new animes I have seen, and I hope next weeks finale lives up to the expectations I have for it.

11. Mwoha says:

@Billish

True, it’s just seeing pretty much every single character that they killed of again in a sort of OH HI way (except Volken!) sort of cheapened death for me.

And I’m was probably being rather harsh there by saying it was a terrible episode. I suppose after those runs of brilliant episodes can’t really be put out by a few cringeworthy moments in a couple. By any other anime’s yardstick Bantorra is still doing pretty well I suppose, though I maintain that it is still a dip in its form by its own standard.

by the way just wanna take a moment to thank psgels for the blog, I always look forward to your take on Anime as normally it is put together in a straight to the point kind of way. Thank god for at least one blog on the internet without the blogger being an insane fanboy or a sucker for moe or whatever. Plus the commenters also say interesting things :o

12. PhantomX says:

We’re not going to see Volken, since his book is with Mirepoc… though maybe the way Mirepoc is crucial to the whole plan is that she has to get him in there somehow (or influence Ruruta in some way).

13. Mr. nobody says:

the true power of HAMY!!!!! *random cheese wind blows around her* and then she says come to my aid “those who love me” HUH????? didn’t you kill their asses for no discernible reason and don’t most of them despise you for how you went about things??? WHO WRITES THIS $HIT ?… but comparing “this $hit” to other selections this season i guess this is one of the better shows *rolls eyes*

14. Astral100 says:

Very bad episode. The series is falling apart with this rushed and non-sensical ending.
    And you are saying Code Geass was a trainwreck?
    Why can’t a good series end with a good ending that actually makes sense and completely answers all the questions for a change?
    I can’t remember the last time I saw a good ending. What I saw here so far, makes me go WTF?!? Not a good feeling for an episode before the last one.

Most of the stuff that happened in this episode just went over my head. Storytelling? Are you kidding me?

15. Machi says:

I think the thing with cameos or ‘revivals’ of dead characters is it will always run the risk of being cheesy or come of as ‘cheap’. Precisely, as it runs counter to logic and lets face it not much shows can pull off suspension of disbelief easily (nor is it easy to pull it off, not just in anime but in many things best I’ve seen are those that use it as hallucinations and such).

Yet, as noted there is some attempt at least by the show to suspend disbelief since what we’re seeing are the contents of Ruruta’s stomach. From the previous episode, upon seeing Colio, you’re already aware something is off. What I would criticize instead is what could be the choice of characters brought back to help Hamyuts, since I’d be wondering as to whether or not they were devoured and should be there (Mokkania ok I’m fine but Noloty?). Still it would be an exaggeration to call this episode terrible without taking into consideration the first half.

Seeing Hamyuts completely unhinged as she attacked Ruruta and enjoying herself to the fullest so far is one of the best scenes I’ve seen from this anime. Its completely twisted and just so Hamyuts, furthermore I’ve never seen such a great way of showing a masochistic. The fevered pitch is what sticks to me for this episode. Of course the change of heart on the latter quarter is well disheartening but nevertheless though it is cheesey at least the build up to the end leaves a sense of plausibility, meaning its not just some random strawn together happy ending for the sake of it ala Clandad.

16. EINSOF says:

@MachiYou make very solid points, nice.

As for myself, i have very much enjoyed this series, even at this very episode. so far, the events are playing out to the logic of the universe. I dont see any “Deus ex machina” cuz so far all of the events till now have been carefully planned out and characters deaths and emotions well told. I see some poeple starting to build up the “bash ball” and that normally happens when a series comes close to its end. this series has been and stream of well told events and plot twists and i think poeple expect the ending to be one big plot twist with no real answer so they can expect more in the future.

17. PL says:

The thing about Noloty is that Ruruta has demonstrated that he likes to eat books of people who follow some path to its fullest, Ruruta loves extremists, and Noloty had an ideal that she followed more fully than anyone. Mokonia had one of the most fearsome powers in the story, only schlamuffen could counter it. And honestly, a little cheese is good for the lymph…would we really want to see their deaths be totally meaningless? I dig some kafka, camus and hesse from time to time, but that kind of existential soul-battering isn’t why I watch anime. Yes, I want some realism, or a good enough reason to suspend my disbelief based on prior foreshadowing about the possibilities, and that was done here. I don’t want a happy ending at the cost of undermining the story. They didn’t do that in this episode, instead they brought together a number of elements of the show, and numerous things foreshadowed from every arc in the story, to build toward an ending that should be as satisfying as the rest of the series, without leaving me feeling like an alienated cockroach unable to approach humanity.

18. Denizen says:

It was glorious to finally see Hamyuts in despair – after 25 episodes of her being solidly confident, it had an awesome impact.
    The animation with the faces in this episode was something special too – it really added to the drama.

And, really, I appreciate the drama – even Lascall Othello herself says that if it ended without a bang, it would be disappointing.

19. MsteaK says:

A bit cheesy, but since I love Hamy’s character, I really don’t care all that much for the ending of this episode. Was it iffy? Yes, absolutely.

I just want to read the light-novels, you can really tell that they’re cramming so much content in only 20 minutes of screentime.

20. PL says:

After what she did to Volken, and I don’t mean killing him but cruelly and without any reason destroying his ideals before doing so, I just couldn’t love Hamyuts anymore.

21. MsteaK says:

That’s exactly why I find her charming. She’s a complete asshole that can still act noble from time to time.

And of course because I’m fed up with moe and its submissive doormats.

22. PL says:

I just think she crossed a line at that point that could no longer make her a sympathetic character for me. I like strong female leads also, but not evil bitches…

23. MsteaK says:

I disliked Volken and was happy to see his sense of justice being dwindled away. I guess that has something to do with it too. Hamy’s by no means a Balsa or Alita, but I still like her.

24. PL says:

Ah, too me Volken and Noloty were the real leads in the show, with their strong ideals. I like characters with strong ideals when they 1) Have the bad-ass-ness to back them up and 2) Aren’t just stupidly simplistic in their worldview. Volken couldn’t help that he didn’t know about the corruption in the library, since nobody else really knew either. And his sense of justice was more complex than your usual clueless “everybody just play nice” lead. And, if Mirepoc hadn’t first tricked him, I think he would have succeeded in revealing the truth to everyone. His only mistake was not telling Mirepoc what was going on before he took off. If he’d done that, and she hadn’t wiped her memory, everything would have gone down really differently. Granted, I love the show for the boldness it took to kill him off and I hope he stays good and dead. I just don’t care for Hamy anymore because of it. And I’m cool with that.

25. Hunter-Wolf says:

Wow, what’s with everyone missing the entire point of this episode (and maybe even the series), i mean finally everything is coming full circles and making sense and people start complaining about “deus ex machina” and cheesiness … did you people actually watch the series !!!

There is nobody ‘brought back’ .. everyone shown in the episode IS still dead .. everything is going inside Rurata not in the real world .. that dimension clearly and from the very beginning of the series -as seen in the Enlike arc- has its own rules, Rurata is as we know now an avid book eater like Enlike host was … so every single person’s book that has been eaten by him means that person’s essence is trapped inside of Rurata …. it would only be cheap if at the end of the series they return back to the real world .. but i don’t think that will happen .. actually being helpful to Hamy’s fight gives way more meaning and value to their deaths .. and their life which they lived to the fullest.

And as for how everything is coming full circles … well … for the reason above they ended up inside Rurata’s body .. who was trying to find happiness in their stories to help Nienu out of her despair (Nienu who also happened to be trapped inside his body as well) … but now he figured out her despair is incurable and that she became the incarnation of destruction … destruction that those he ate to please her will help him stop … things has been going in this direction from the very beginning .. and if you don’t like it you probably should have quit watching the series at the beginning instead of complaining now.

And as for Hamy .. i really liked her this episode … IMO she isn’t really evil at all .. it is the hell (all the torture and experiments) that she went through that twisted her personality like that (having her character and entire life cast to love death and kill Rurata)… probably she can be called one of the best anti-hero female characters … seeing her in despair was really strange and touching considering how strong and lunatic she was during the entire series .. but i guess everyone has a break point .. funny thing though .. she finally showed her good side after dying in the real world XD

Now i wonder what role will Meripoc play … it is probably something very important .. important enough for Lascal to sacrifice its existence to wake Meripoc .. interesting .. can’t wait to see the final episode.

26. Anomandaris says:

I really don’t see the cheesiness in this episode …

Ruruta is a demi-god who has consumed 100,000 books, there’s really no way for anyone to take him down in the real world. The ‘mental battle’ finale actually makes sense … Makia knew that engineering a mortal to rival Ruruta in raw power would have been impossible, and so he engineered someone who could attack Ruruta from within, where the rules of reality do not apply

Shiron’s interaction with Colio and the dimension inside Enrique have already made it evident that ‘Books’ are not simply static things which are read … but actual Souls which possess some consciousnous of their own. So a final battle between the Souls of Books and Ruruta is not something which has been sprung upon us out of the blue.

Where’s the cheese?

27. Hunter-Wolf says:

@Anomandaris

Well said indeed, but there is something here … i don’t think the final battle will be aganist Rurata .. but actually aganist Nienu (who is now a manifestation of destruction).

Actually Rurata seems to have realized his mistakes and had a change of heart (specially after the talk with Colio Tonnis spirit.

All of the important dance scenes for Yuri were fantastic, its just some minor one off characters and some reused ones that were an issue, so no they are better than the CGI
Anonymous1190387
Is it worse than those CGI dance scenes in some anime?
@Puran, It is pretty surprising how well that story turns out. I say IG might do the job even if there animation isn't the most consistent. The one thing I am worried about is those necks though. In the PV those things were ridiculously long.
Puran
Fair enough, recycling the animation was bad, agreed. But the animation itself was really good.
See, I found the repeated dances in Yuri one of the worse parts. Alot of it was recycled animation and certain characters were obviously rushed/not done. Some were amazing, cause they took their time, but others looked terrible.
Puran
I kinda wish Mappa was doing the anime though. Yuri on Ice had really nicely animated dances (and was more or less the only actually good quality of that show :P )
Puran
Reading the Ballroom e Youkoso manga has made me really excited about the Anime.
Kaiser_Eoghan
@Aidan: I'm particularly turned off by bully/bullying cliches these days. I've only read the first two volumes to see how awful she was but I ended up simply losing track of the series and stopped reading.
Kaiser_Eoghan
@Mario: Actually that has changed, I had to pick a different day to see it given changes in schedule, I've booked it for NEXT Wednesday now. I've watched Akira about four times.
Oh, Rising of the Shield Hero is getting an anime adaption. Hmmm...honestly after finishing the series and looking over it as a whole I am not sure I even want that. Plus seeing Bitch Animated...would fill me with rage.
I intend to re-watch Akira soon, probably this weekend. It has been almost 10 years since my first watch and now I don't remember much about that one. Thought it was intriguing and complex but not as acclaimed as people hyped it to be (I'll pick Ghost in the Shell anytime). Wonder how I'd feel now after re-watching it.
@Kaiser: I remember you mentioned that you were going to watch In this Corner of the World today right? How was the movie Kaiser?
Oh cool, food wars is getting a 3rd season
Ballroom youkoso appears to be leading the polls.
@Mario: Fumiko is a female mangaka yes. Also I found bokura no hentai worth reading.
yep, I finished that manga too and I have conflicted feeling about it. Yuri(!) part and fanservice are to blatant but they have a purpose. This mangaka (not sure but I think she's a girl) has some unique voice.
....well I skimmed that manga. And it was weird
By all appearances,Sakura is normal,albeit sheltered junior high school girl who enjoy talking about love and walking home from school together.However,they also happen to inhabit a strange and supernatural world populated by mysterious,gigantic beings and unusual plant and animal life.Amid their peaceful lives,Sakura becomes very interested in something only alluded to exist in old books: dicks
Here's a synopsis of other manga from the same author, I think you'll have a better idea of his theme -
Sakura no Sono
Pretty much what Masky said. I am not really praising it. Anyway I plan to read one or two more chapters to see where it's going. But if it's going in the direction I think it's going then I am dropping this one fast.
Kaiser_Eoghan
There is of course the underlying concern that it will go a very ugly route with that development or it could become edgy/horribly minipulative, but for now it is as mario said, a hook.
Well. overall I don't dislike what I read there. It has good hook and I'm intrigued to know more what the hell will happen. Good set-up for me. I'm in
@Masky: it's fine Masky, since I will chec itk out any way and see it for myself ^^
So since you guys started being interested, I checked it out and uh.. Yeah, not reading. I think ye guys misunderstood Aidans warnings since that was just fucked up and not in the interesting way.
@Aidan: Berserk will never again go more than 3-4 months without a hiatus.
Hmmm, that manga Cutie Mutie sounds good to me. I might check it out later today
@Aidan: But had you not alluded to that scene, I may have seen the cover of that manga and skipped over it.
@Aidan: I had a feeling, sort of, sad, I am intrigued to read more.
Hyping and warning are not the same thing.
Well with Aidan hyping up the horrors of cutie mutie I may as well glance at it to see what he' on about.
There are three manga with the name rec.
I am familiar with the artist for cutie mutie, she did that manga about the three kids dealing with gender/orientation issues.
Oh look Berserk is on Haitus again....
.....the sad thing is that it comes as expected now.
For reference the two I read were Cutie Mutie and Rec. Be warned, the first one goes to a rather uncomfortable level.
@Masky, Read two manga. One started lighthearted and then went to really dark territory. The other one looks like it's about a really dark subject but turned out to be something more lighthearted.
@Mario, Alright. Tested it now so it such be fixed. Try again.
@Aidan: Huh? What you read that turned dark/didn't turn dark? .-.
"too many answers selected for question 1! only 3 answers allowed!"
@Aidan: I still have the same issues. Weird
@Mario, Wasn't my intent. Try it now and you should be able to pick as many as you want.
@Aidan: I'm not allowed to vote more than 3 votes. Is it your intention Aidan?
Well that was weird. I read something that looked innocent but turned out to be really dark. Then something that looked really dark only to become innocent.
Yeah, nothing that interests me I see :D Like my strongest reaction to season preview was "Someone made isekai with smartphone? Really? REALLY? Thats best idea you had"
Ah Knighs and Magic, found that manga. It was boring enough for me to forget its name. Also besides being boring, I kinda find MC unlikeable since their only personality is that they like mechas and were a programmer before renicarnating as short bishie kid
Woo, time to vote stuff
@Kaiser: that movie In this Corner just getting more and more acclaimed huh? Thou I think it'a a type of movie that if you have high expectation for it you will likely be disappointed. It works best as a sleeper hit
As for cute monster girls, most of the time I don't find them cute at all. I know I'm being racist, but...
@Lenlo: I'm guilty with that cute girls genre, as i enjoyed K-On tremedously for example. Or If I have more time I'd follow Hinako Note this season ^^
They don't always adapt all that well or work as well outside of manga format, especially 4-komas.
*three
The only two of any interest were hidamari sketch, azumanga daioh and yuru yuri and that was largely down to being in the mood for them a few years ago.
@Mario: Personally, I have 0 interest in this Monster girls doing cute things subgenre, just like I have very little interest in the cute girls doing cute things major genre.
@Mario: As it turns out I DID read in this corner of the world. I'll also be seeing it next thursday.
@Kaiser: at this moment I'm very skeptical with the whole Monster girls doing cute girl subgenre, so I'm approachig Centaur with a caution. Of course, it all depends on how I feel after the first episode
@Kaiser: Happy End isn't as bleak aa his other works. But it's certainly Hanake's films, as it explores many of his favorite themes: the voyeurist of camera in his Benny's video, the detachment to the world and the underlying violence. Not his best thou but it's still very good
I think I'd be up for watching jigoku shojo, its been a long time since I watched the original two seasons and this one won't be as long, so it won't get as repetitive.
I voted centaur no nanami on the poll, think Mario could cover it.
@Mario: How did did you get on with Happy end? I heard its like a mix of his best works. Is it as dark and depressing?
I have vague memories of in the corner of the worlds manga, unless I'm mixing it up with something else.
Some news, Lu Over the Wall won the best prize at this year's Annecy (the 1st anime won the award since 1995's Pom Poko), with In the Corner of the World took the Jury Prize. Quite a good showing for anime this year.
@Anon, Hello.
Really, still no vote for Kakegurui?? I thought it would take the top poll for sure
That 18if, even the poster doesn't make much sense, but it looks dazzling ^^
go-go licensed products!
@Lenlo: and Madhouse is the studio behind that Marvel rip-off. Are they really going that low for profits?
Lookin forward to Kakeguri next season, but thats the only thing thats really caught my eye
Well, you have to watch Marvel next season right?
And done. I swear these previews take a lot out of me.
Almost done....almost done...
KT
Attack of Titan, ended ok. But man the production values had gone down.

Virgin Soul had a okish episde

Re:Creators continues to rock for me.
@Mario: I liked the 70s version ending, it was mean spirited =P
@Mario: The original used its one room location quite well and dim lighting in parts, very closed in/claustrophobic.
@Kaiser: just finished the Beguiled and it was much better than I expected. Like, I didn't expect it to be that well shot. The guy was put in a passive role than active here, which help the theme imo. Also, the ending admitedly isn't for everyone but I liked it just fine
@Kaiser: using a black girl? The girls in this one are all white :(
Sato in Re:Creators isn't doing himself any favors is he? Honestly the more I learn about him, the less likable he becomes.
It was a good film though, one of scarjos better moments.
@Mario: As for Sofia, I'm only familiar with lost in translation, which I haven't seen since it originally came out.
@Mario: Everyone goes on about Francis' for the Godfather, the conversation is massively underated and apocalypse now is better, but it has to be the theatrical cut.
@Mario: I guess it was probably seen as progressive in its day by way of using the black girl.
@Mario: Very very cynically 70s of course.
@Mario: Actually just happened to finish it there, I felt it stood out for its somewhat successful gothic feel and aesthetic and Eastwood's performance which shows how well he can command the audiences attention even when he isn't shooting people. Kind of liked how it got slightly grisly later on. It makes a small effort in giving one line backstories .
@Kaiser: the original movie isn't that well-received. It's more like an exotica film where the main guy (Clint Eastwood) hooks up girls of all ages. This one I heard has a good spin on feminist angle. I'm sure is intrigued but Sofia Coppola's filmography has been mixed for me
....I doubt any one has ever heard of this....I know I didn't, I haven't read it either but I came across some weird old Blacksploitation manga, probably from the 90s, Blast knuckle or something...
@Mario: Still remaking the beguiled might be good, we need more modern westerns.
@Mario: I suppose I can busy myself with the original 70s version of beguiled. At the moment I've been focusing on old Japanese films, they had such a good film industry, it makes it hurt so much more now knowing that all they do now is shit live action adaptations.
@Kaiser: gonna be a long day for me with the screenings of The Beguiled, Wind River, The Other Side of Hope and Happy End
Now I need to re-watch 08th ms team.
I watched 4 hours straight of Gundam the origin, hit me with a hard punch of nostalgia, actually seeing his backstory rather than hearing about it is a good thing, I enjoyed the action scenes, it was high-melodrama but well used and more Char is always a good thing.
I think I'll just put Kado on hold for now and see whats being said about future episodes of it, I'm too unsure of it being worth it or not at the moment.
I want to comment on a humble indie game called Sakuna of Rice and Ruin. Is a simple hack and slash similar to Muramasa and Dust: Elysian Trail. The game has a scarf mechanic that is very fun to use to evade attacks and throwing stuff. It kind of reminded me of those Mickey games from the Snes and the visuals reminded me of Pocky and Rocky. Its a game to play on a sunday, simple, fun and relaxing.
From the stuff I played Dragon Ball FigtherZ seems legit at capturing the speed of the battle and feel of the action.
Back from E3. Nintendo is still my main jam. The Rabbids game seems better than I think anyone could imagine. Odyssey seems like a good time. Xenoblade and Metroid 2 remake look like hype.
KT
On Gundam OG, the new Origin Manga, and the movies based on it are very good. Recommended.
I remember reading the first chapter of that manga, but it was a long time ago and the updates were slow.
A manga about Ballroom dancing? Yeah there's no way I am into this.
(Starts reading)
(Reads ten chapters)
Crap...I am into this.
Feel I need to re-visit gundam again through 08th MS team, unicorn and Origin as I'd enjoyed the 70s series, its sequel and chars counterattack. Seed turned me off the franchise for ridiculously long and 00s movie and second season wern't as good as the first .
Looks like I have another Yuasa work to look forward to, he's doing his own take off on Nagai's devilman , hopefully he can reign in Valvraves writer though.
*first manga in couple last weeks I've seen
Da fuq. Found manga called Kemono Jihen, but it somehow already has tv tropes page(I tend to check randomly whether works have tv tropes page to see how notable they are) O_o I mean this is first manga with 1-3 chapters that has that, so I guess author is really popular or something in some circles?
Huh. Guess they figured out rewriting a story for Re:Creators.
Ya know, even if i hadn't heard that Suka Suka is based on one of more tragic light novels, the death flags, all of the death flags :D
HelghastKillzone
I'm a patron of someone who is writing mass effect fanfiction at 2 million+ words. It combines games, writing and fan creativity. So there is that....
Ah, while I listened to some Lovecraft audiobooked, I felt as if I was copping out by listening instead of reading.
A horror manga often works well episodically in a short story format.
@Aidan: Had a flick through Shibito, of what I read I liked how ridiculously camp and gleefully, proudfully nutso it was combined with the silliness of the violence. While not my favourite chapter, the one about the actress stood out for me because she was clearly a reference to Setsuko Hara, one of Japans most famous actresses lol
I try out a number of things from time to time. Books, movies, music, comics and the like. But I always come back to anime.
I have dabbled in quite a few mediums myself. My recent experiment is audiobooks which I am currently using to get through Moby Dick. And Jesus H Christ is this book padded to hell and back. It may be well written but it is an awful story.
But what this film venture has shown me is that while I've gotten much out of it, it shows just how STRONGER the connection I have to anime/manga is.
@Mario: And definately, I don't get the "people focus on only one media thing". One of the reasons I started branching out was because I felt "Fuck, I'm in my 30s and I've neglected a whole medium by being too focused on cartoons"
The sign you're at something too long is when the suspense of waiting for the next part to come out isn't there or when you find yourself not picking up on whats going on!
Manga/visual novels/anime I've noticed especially now are much much easier to stay awake during when you're wrecked tired.
@Mario: And to be honest, I've gotten busier and more tired lately, getting home on a weekday later after a new job, I'm not alert enough to watch art films, just started leaving them till the weekend.
@Kaiser: I know exactly what you mean. That is one of the reason why I like to mix up what I watch: sometimes books, other time manga and even music to get me away from burning out from 1 medium
*eventually get back
The short of that is, I think a good scale back with ANY hobby is a good thing because it can feel special all over again when you get back on it more mainly.
But now that after three years of mainly focusing on films moreso than anime/manga as much, because I'm now incredibly burnt out from watching films 4 times a day, I feel now I can watch ANY anime or read any manga and get that fresh feeling/some of that old passion back.
Remember that feeling you got when you first really got into anime/manga and pretty much excitedly/panic watched EVERYTHING and almost everything felt great? I've been thinking how a few years back now, I sort of re-lived that feeling again...however for films.
(Finished watching SukaSuka 10)
Awwww...that was a sweet episode end....
.....
.....They are all gonna die.
@Aidan: Kids off school pressumably in Japan with more time to watch stuff and more shows.
God why is there so many anime during the summer season.
Of course there are the really obvious recommendations of Grand Blue and Kaguya wants to be confessed to.
I say the only other recommendations I got are Jagaaaaaan, Maou no Hisho, Ore wo Suki Nano wa Omae Dake ka yo and Yuuutsu-kun to Succubus-san. Though I still think Shibito no Koe o Kiku ga Yoi would be up your alley.
By all means keep posting random manga you've all come across, I will read them.
I thought route end did a good job on the protagonist's feelings regarding his mothers death.
Though my interest in Route is largely due to it was the most lurid of the selection.
I felt route end holds the most interest of that selection of recommendations, although before reading it I thought it would be an episodic manga, similar to a series called death sweeper.
@K-Off, well I think both the manga got handed down to the assistant, and the anime got handed down as well. The original author/director for both arnt working on Boruto
@Lenlo Probably, haven't checked. But the manga and anime are completely different so I don't know.
The Streisand effect in full force.
*Now the media...
No the media storms over it and eventually want to check out this film. It has gain more publicity after this shameless incident
oh god, really? Chinese government tried their best to force Annecy (Animation film Fest) to remove a Chinese animated film name Have A Nice Day from screening there because of its "sensitive content"
Still think Sawano needs to lay off the vocals. It can get really distracting in Re:Creators.
KT
oh my the RE:Creators OST is all I wanted.
Well, Boruto isnt being run by the original manga author is it? I thought he handed the series off after Naruto to his chief assistant.
The contrast between wanting to do something different yet using the same character traits is just too jarring.
Gave Boruto a shot, and while it isn't bad, it's so detached from the original series that it might as well have been unrelated. I appreciate that the plot is different, but the modern setting, and lack of any clear character motivations (for now) makes it such a chore to watch. If they were going for something different, why did they use the same character designs and archetypes?
Sorry guys for the delay of Eccentric Family post, just can't bring myself to finish the post. Not that many of you following the show but Yeah, I will plget it done later today. Also, hell yeah for Pluto. Urasawa is my God
@Aidan: I kinda imagine Isekai Shokudou would be like Time of Eve upon reading the synopsis. Like each week about some peculiar customers. Well, if they focus more on food, then... *heartbroken*
Two Metroid Game announcements and an anime of Pluto.
Today was a good day.
KT here:YES!
@Anon: One of his better works, despite reading it twice I've forgotten too much as its been too long since reading it, good though as when I watch the anime the manga won't be as fresh in my mind.
Urasawa's Pluto anime announced! Get hype! Looks like they're keeping designs faithful just like they did with Monster (at least judging from the poster)
By the way Mario, that Isekai show you were interested in is basically food porn.
Man that was a lot of procrastination. I haven't even written up that Little witch academia post yet...and then there's the preview.
I agree with most of your assessments though Kusuriya no Hitorigoto is something I can really get into. I admit Talentless Nana is a bit iffy at the moment but am willing to give it a big chance because I love the authors other works.

Seikaisuru Kado – 10[Towanosakiwa]

So despite my aggravation with how the last episode ended, this episode starts of strong with how the universe was created and the anisotropic beings watching over it. The whole sequence was great and beautifully alien. That half of the episode explaining how Saraka ended up on end was actually very strong and despite the […]

Uchoten Kazoku 2 – 11 [The Blood of the Tengu, the Blood of the Fool]

The Eccentric Family again takes some solid steps to its final showdown. But let me address this first because I’m sure no one really see it coming. Soun comes back to life. A fake-out death? Seriously? Using fake-out death ALWAYS comes with a price, which is all the emotional investment we had for the death […]

Re:Creators – 11 [The Monster Under the Eaves]

Not surprising that this was a more subdued episode since the events of last week landed two and a half creations in the hospital. Given their bed-ridden state, Re:Creators takes it time in developing some new deep and profound ideas about creating works and resolves the quagmire that Sōta finds himself in the last few […]

Little Witch Academia – 24[The Road to Arcturus]

Hmmm….mixed feelings. There are parts I like about this episode but then there is this underwhelming feeling over how things have turned out. In general I like that the epicly named world reconstruction magic turned out to be just a stick that performs party tricks. Thinking about it it’s likely the decline of magic is […]

Shingeki no Kyojin(Attack on Titan) – 37[Scream]

I was all geared up to write up a post that this season of attack on Titan was mere lip service for a third season that may never come when I seen that there is indeed a third season of Attack on Titan on the way next year. So I could voice those same complaints […]

Tsuki ga Kirei – 10 [The Setting Sun]

Kotarou and Akane have reached a stage where they need to think hard about the long term of their relationship. Akane is about to move town, so how they going to keep up their relationship? Usually for a teenager’s romance it means the end. Full stop. LINE and texting can keep them for a while […]

Sakura Quest – 11 [The Forgotten Requiem]

Well, apart from Ririko suddenly can sing confidently, and sings really well on top of that, this episode ends in high note. In fact, that statement really sum up this week of Sakura Quest as a whole. Messy, a bit all over the place with too many elements, but they have very strong ending that […]

ID-0 – 10 [Compressed Sin]

Oh no, ID-0. Out of all the possibilities you could’ve picked for the climax, you chose the worst possible one. Ido’s past self, Dr. Kane Arisugawa turns out to be an evil scientist, using human as a sacrifice for his own research’s advancement. If this already sounds well-worn, it’s getting worse from there. The first […]

Re:Creators – 10 [The Monster Under the Eaves]

The laying of the foundation and development of all previous episodes culminates into an explosive episode that lives up to the hype of Re:Creators’ initial premise. Following Magane long-winded trolling of last week, the amount of action on display this episode more than made up for her antics. Every creation (with the except of Mamika) […]

Window Horses (2016) Movie Review – 87/100

Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon (Winter 2017) Review – 74/100

Scum’s Wish (Winter 2017) Review – 80/100

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Review – 90/100

When you have watched a large amount of anime you can come to assume that you have learned a lot about Japanese culture. Though I think it’s testament to how limited it is to view Japan through anime when you come to realize that despite watching so much, you have never heard of Rakugo. Rakugo […]

Youjo Senki Saga of Tanya the Evil Review – 80/100

Isekai stories have become somewhat of a tiresome genre as of late. There have been many stories of people being transported/reincarnated into other worlds where they shed their once pitiful exterior and become some legendary figure in another world. In most cases it’s trit, balant childish wish fulfilment and the stories often become tiresome when […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. (Winter 2017) Review – 83/100

Imagine my utmost amazement when a show that I wasn’t that confident on taking in the beginning turned out to be one of the most solid offering this season had to offer. ACCA is the most recent anime adaptation from mangaka Natsume Omo, which despite isn’t a household name, many of her works (6 titles […]

Demi-chan wa Kataritai (Winter 2017) Review – 62/100

Demi-chan is one of the newest addition to the monster girl subgenre, which usually feature a human helpless male lead get stuck in a harem of mythical creatures, in form of oversized boob girls of course (why usually those monsters are in female forms anyways? Aren’t they sexless?). In this case, we have monster girls […]

Seiren (Winter 2017) Review – 51/100

Let me say this out front, Seiren is NOT a good show, it’s a highly uneven one. Throughout its run, I can see some solid moments and fresh ideas that could potentially raise it above the bar, but ultimately, view it as a whole, Seiren is a show that isn’t worth recommending. At first, I’m […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100