Posted by psgels on 27 March 2010 with categories: Armed Librarians - The Book of Bantorra

yeah, so there is no doubt that this show is getting cheesy. The thing is, however, that I’m much more interested in how this finale uses the build-up that has been provided by the rest of this series. In a way, I can understand the criticisms to this series: standalone the characters indeed aren’t the reason to watch this show.

I haven’t really been watching this show for its characters, though. The reason I became a huge fan of this series was because of its storytelling: the way it managed to weave so many storylines together. The boldness of the script and the way that it was able to write these gripping action scenes, simply with this plot that had so many interesting ideas stuffed into it, combined with its powerful and over the top soundtrack.

I really love it when anime decide to show off what they’re good at. The reason why I’m also such a big fan of Noloty and Volken was not because what they were, but what they represented. I really believe that every anime should focus what it’s good at, and this finale has been truly action-packed, throwing tons of plot twists and ideas into the mix and exactly what I’ve been looking for! While other series this season have more realistic characters, none of them really excell in the same magnitude that Bantorra’s plot has been impressing me with, week after week after week. THAT’s exactly why I already consider this to be a huge contender for my favourite show of 2010, even though we’ve still got three seasons to go before I can say for sure. it’s SO going to be a shame to see this series end next week, because I’ve been enjoying every single minute of it.
Rating: *** (Awesome)

1. Alec says:

there were some cheesy parts, buts its not that horrible… people were like complaning bout how cheesy the episode was, so i thought that we were gonna have a horrible episode, but we didnt

2. Nayrael says:

Who cares if it is cheesy as long as it is good? And this episode was awesome :D

3. jose says:

finally i watched hamyuts defeated for someone at least for some time ,but the true is i wanted hamyuts for be the winner ,but at this part i don’t know exactly who was the good side and the evil side ,but i think it was very sad when mirepoc was very frightened and she ran to the place of the acting director and was in shock when she saw hamyuts like that, it must be a great shock saw the most powerful person who you think can protect you like that,but i don’t know if hamyuts was only acting her defeat because in the last part she was very confident

4. Forwho says:

It seems like some characters are coming back next episode! That’s what I was hoping for, even though it’s cheesy haha. Seriously enjoy this show a lot! It’s way underrated IMHO.

5. PhantomX says:

It was just the end of the episode was cheesy, and that it’s setting up the next one for it. Was it a bad episode? Not at all, but it was also not one of the show’s best.

6. Mwoha says:

Terrible episode
    What with the random reviving of people and the crap explanation of why Hamyuts didn’t die. Plus Hamyuts acting really out of character in the talk/fight with Ruruta.

Such a shame. All that buildup wasted

7. psgels psgels says:

Mwoha: um, you do realize that all of this happened inside Ruruta? What we was was merely the same that happened in the Enlike arc, just on a larger scale.

8. Troyen says:

I’ve been disappointed with this last story arc. Watching the invincible Hamy go up against the near-invincible Ruruta for ten minutes was pretty boring and its easy to predict how its going to end.

I think the show really shines when it focuses on multiple storylines and multiple characters simultaneously, not so much when there’s only two or three real characters (the others just kinda came, threw some punches, and vanished) and one storyline.

I am curious how the revival of Mirepoc will play out though.

9. Mwoha says:

@ Psgels

I think where this differs from the Enlike arc is that it had some sort of purpose, and the dead characters only appeared to say half a sentence each in a cameo by departed spirits sort of way.

Here it just looks like it’s been done because there needs to be an end to the story and they couldn’t be bothered to flesh out new characters to play out the story in a convincing way, so they just pulled the old “Mental Battle” trick to reanimate old characters and finish off whatever story part is left.

I still think the story up to this point was brilliant, and hope they can pull off an ending that will at least be enjoyable to watch, but I think this episode definitely took away something from the Bantorra experience

10. billish says:

They havent brought any characters who have died in the ‘real world’ back to the ‘real world’. Any of the character cameos in this episode and the next exist only because their books were fed to Ruruta (his power).

Anyways I think they’re doing a great job with this anime; everything makes sense on one level or another, whereas many anime series have had trouble simply creating a story that works from beginning to end.

This is one of the better new animes I have seen, and I hope next weeks finale lives up to the expectations I have for it.

11. Mwoha says:

@Billish

True, it’s just seeing pretty much every single character that they killed of again in a sort of OH HI way (except Volken!) sort of cheapened death for me.

And I’m was probably being rather harsh there by saying it was a terrible episode. I suppose after those runs of brilliant episodes can’t really be put out by a few cringeworthy moments in a couple. By any other anime’s yardstick Bantorra is still doing pretty well I suppose, though I maintain that it is still a dip in its form by its own standard.

by the way just wanna take a moment to thank psgels for the blog, I always look forward to your take on Anime as normally it is put together in a straight to the point kind of way. Thank god for at least one blog on the internet without the blogger being an insane fanboy or a sucker for moe or whatever. Plus the commenters also say interesting things :o

12. PhantomX says:

We’re not going to see Volken, since his book is with Mirepoc… though maybe the way Mirepoc is crucial to the whole plan is that she has to get him in there somehow (or influence Ruruta in some way).

13. Mr. nobody says:

the true power of HAMY!!!!! *random cheese wind blows around her* and then she says come to my aid “those who love me” HUH????? didn’t you kill their asses for no discernible reason and don’t most of them despise you for how you went about things??? WHO WRITES THIS $HIT ?… but comparing “this $hit” to other selections this season i guess this is one of the better shows *rolls eyes*

14. Astral100 says:

Very bad episode. The series is falling apart with this rushed and non-sensical ending.
    And you are saying Code Geass was a trainwreck?
    Why can’t a good series end with a good ending that actually makes sense and completely answers all the questions for a change?
    I can’t remember the last time I saw a good ending. What I saw here so far, makes me go WTF?!? Not a good feeling for an episode before the last one.

Most of the stuff that happened in this episode just went over my head. Storytelling? Are you kidding me?

15. Machi says:

I think the thing with cameos or ‘revivals’ of dead characters is it will always run the risk of being cheesy or come of as ‘cheap’. Precisely, as it runs counter to logic and lets face it not much shows can pull off suspension of disbelief easily (nor is it easy to pull it off, not just in anime but in many things best I’ve seen are those that use it as hallucinations and such).

Yet, as noted there is some attempt at least by the show to suspend disbelief since what we’re seeing are the contents of Ruruta’s stomach. From the previous episode, upon seeing Colio, you’re already aware something is off. What I would criticize instead is what could be the choice of characters brought back to help Hamyuts, since I’d be wondering as to whether or not they were devoured and should be there (Mokkania ok I’m fine but Noloty?). Still it would be an exaggeration to call this episode terrible without taking into consideration the first half.

Seeing Hamyuts completely unhinged as she attacked Ruruta and enjoying herself to the fullest so far is one of the best scenes I’ve seen from this anime. Its completely twisted and just so Hamyuts, furthermore I’ve never seen such a great way of showing a masochistic. The fevered pitch is what sticks to me for this episode. Of course the change of heart on the latter quarter is well disheartening but nevertheless though it is cheesey at least the build up to the end leaves a sense of plausibility, meaning its not just some random strawn together happy ending for the sake of it ala Clandad.

16. EINSOF says:

@MachiYou make very solid points, nice.

As for myself, i have very much enjoyed this series, even at this very episode. so far, the events are playing out to the logic of the universe. I dont see any “Deus ex machina” cuz so far all of the events till now have been carefully planned out and characters deaths and emotions well told. I see some poeple starting to build up the “bash ball” and that normally happens when a series comes close to its end. this series has been and stream of well told events and plot twists and i think poeple expect the ending to be one big plot twist with no real answer so they can expect more in the future.

17. PL says:

The thing about Noloty is that Ruruta has demonstrated that he likes to eat books of people who follow some path to its fullest, Ruruta loves extremists, and Noloty had an ideal that she followed more fully than anyone. Mokonia had one of the most fearsome powers in the story, only schlamuffen could counter it. And honestly, a little cheese is good for the lymph…would we really want to see their deaths be totally meaningless? I dig some kafka, camus and hesse from time to time, but that kind of existential soul-battering isn’t why I watch anime. Yes, I want some realism, or a good enough reason to suspend my disbelief based on prior foreshadowing about the possibilities, and that was done here. I don’t want a happy ending at the cost of undermining the story. They didn’t do that in this episode, instead they brought together a number of elements of the show, and numerous things foreshadowed from every arc in the story, to build toward an ending that should be as satisfying as the rest of the series, without leaving me feeling like an alienated cockroach unable to approach humanity.

18. Denizen says:

It was glorious to finally see Hamyuts in despair – after 25 episodes of her being solidly confident, it had an awesome impact.
    The animation with the faces in this episode was something special too – it really added to the drama.

And, really, I appreciate the drama – even Lascall Othello herself says that if it ended without a bang, it would be disappointing.

19. MsteaK says:

A bit cheesy, but since I love Hamy’s character, I really don’t care all that much for the ending of this episode. Was it iffy? Yes, absolutely.

I just want to read the light-novels, you can really tell that they’re cramming so much content in only 20 minutes of screentime.

20. PL says:

After what she did to Volken, and I don’t mean killing him but cruelly and without any reason destroying his ideals before doing so, I just couldn’t love Hamyuts anymore.

21. MsteaK says:

That’s exactly why I find her charming. She’s a complete asshole that can still act noble from time to time.

And of course because I’m fed up with moe and its submissive doormats.

22. PL says:

I just think she crossed a line at that point that could no longer make her a sympathetic character for me. I like strong female leads also, but not evil bitches…

23. MsteaK says:

I disliked Volken and was happy to see his sense of justice being dwindled away. I guess that has something to do with it too. Hamy’s by no means a Balsa or Alita, but I still like her.

24. PL says:

Ah, too me Volken and Noloty were the real leads in the show, with their strong ideals. I like characters with strong ideals when they 1) Have the bad-ass-ness to back them up and 2) Aren’t just stupidly simplistic in their worldview. Volken couldn’t help that he didn’t know about the corruption in the library, since nobody else really knew either. And his sense of justice was more complex than your usual clueless “everybody just play nice” lead. And, if Mirepoc hadn’t first tricked him, I think he would have succeeded in revealing the truth to everyone. His only mistake was not telling Mirepoc what was going on before he took off. If he’d done that, and she hadn’t wiped her memory, everything would have gone down really differently. Granted, I love the show for the boldness it took to kill him off and I hope he stays good and dead. I just don’t care for Hamy anymore because of it. And I’m cool with that.

25. Hunter-Wolf says:

Wow, what’s with everyone missing the entire point of this episode (and maybe even the series), i mean finally everything is coming full circles and making sense and people start complaining about “deus ex machina” and cheesiness … did you people actually watch the series !!!

There is nobody ‘brought back’ .. everyone shown in the episode IS still dead .. everything is going inside Rurata not in the real world .. that dimension clearly and from the very beginning of the series -as seen in the Enlike arc- has its own rules, Rurata is as we know now an avid book eater like Enlike host was … so every single person’s book that has been eaten by him means that person’s essence is trapped inside of Rurata …. it would only be cheap if at the end of the series they return back to the real world .. but i don’t think that will happen .. actually being helpful to Hamy’s fight gives way more meaning and value to their deaths .. and their life which they lived to the fullest.

And as for how everything is coming full circles … well … for the reason above they ended up inside Rurata’s body .. who was trying to find happiness in their stories to help Nienu out of her despair (Nienu who also happened to be trapped inside his body as well) … but now he figured out her despair is incurable and that she became the incarnation of destruction … destruction that those he ate to please her will help him stop … things has been going in this direction from the very beginning .. and if you don’t like it you probably should have quit watching the series at the beginning instead of complaining now.

And as for Hamy .. i really liked her this episode … IMO she isn’t really evil at all .. it is the hell (all the torture and experiments) that she went through that twisted her personality like that (having her character and entire life cast to love death and kill Rurata)… probably she can be called one of the best anti-hero female characters … seeing her in despair was really strange and touching considering how strong and lunatic she was during the entire series .. but i guess everyone has a break point .. funny thing though .. she finally showed her good side after dying in the real world XD

Now i wonder what role will Meripoc play … it is probably something very important .. important enough for Lascal to sacrifice its existence to wake Meripoc .. interesting .. can’t wait to see the final episode.

26. Anomandaris says:

I really don’t see the cheesiness in this episode …

Ruruta is a demi-god who has consumed 100,000 books, there’s really no way for anyone to take him down in the real world. The ‘mental battle’ finale actually makes sense … Makia knew that engineering a mortal to rival Ruruta in raw power would have been impossible, and so he engineered someone who could attack Ruruta from within, where the rules of reality do not apply

Shiron’s interaction with Colio and the dimension inside Enrique have already made it evident that ‘Books’ are not simply static things which are read … but actual Souls which possess some consciousnous of their own. So a final battle between the Souls of Books and Ruruta is not something which has been sprung upon us out of the blue.

Where’s the cheese?

27. Hunter-Wolf says:

@Anomandaris

Well said indeed, but there is something here … i don’t think the final battle will be aganist Rurata .. but actually aganist Nienu (who is now a manifestation of destruction).

Actually Rurata seems to have realized his mistakes and had a change of heart (specially after the talk with Colio Tonnis spirit.

Hey you.
Konstantinos
Yeah, at this point, this season looks good.
Quite happy with ID-0 and Zero in particular. Zero charms me to no end that I'm still debating whether I should blog it. The trio Re:Creators, Kado, Atom still doing pretty well and the sequels MHA and Bahamut are enjoyable as expected. We have a wide range of anime offerings this season.
Sagrada Reset & SukaSuka I will give it another episode, at least until this current arcs over. They both have potential but Sagrada Reset tries so hard to sound smart, and SukaSuka still falls into its LN tropes which bugged the show down.
*no real urge
I've finally catch up with all other series I wanna follow this season. Alice & Zorouku will be off my list for now, Zorouko is a great character but everything else falls flat so far. I have real urge to continue Attack on Titan and Berserk so I'll wait until they're finished.
I watched some episodes of KonoSuba yesterday, reminds me of Those Who Hunt Elves. And I suppose it might be an easy recommendation because it mainly comes down to; do you find it funny? or fun? If not, skip.
While yes its true of watching those slice of life shows week by week is better, I felt that when reading the manga for Aria it was easier to marathon by reading it rather than watching.
Flying witch have the same atmosphere, but it's a purely slice of life anime. I love Aria too and I agree that watching it 1 episode a time is the best way to enjoy it. Can't think of other serious anime that have those calming elements for now
Yeah, I noticed they all have pretty different structures from one another (ACCA's political, Mushishi's naturalistic, Monster is a thriller, Rakugo's about a specific art form, 3-gatsu is ostensibly about Shogi, etc.) but I found that I found some similar calming elements in them (to different degrees of course).
Thanks, I'll definitely check Aria out!
One of the hardest shows to marathon besides Bakemonogatari. Though Bakomono gave me a headache after a few episodes whereas Aria just had me so mellow that I could drift into sleep at any second.
Don't know if you could call it a sub genre as the examples you listed are all really different from each other.
Though in the vein of calming shows I think you can add the Aria series to the list. That show is so relaxing that you find yourself nodding off to it. Not out of boredom but it just has that effect on you.
Do you guys know if there's a specific subgenre like this, or am I making it up? And are there other anime with that kind of feel. Not exactly slice of life, but in the general vicinity of it.
The Great Passage was another great example. It delved into the seemingly boring subject matter of dictionary-making, but it was a surprisingly charming show. 3-Gatsu no Lion also looks promising, I enjoyed a lot of the first season (but wasn't a fan of the forced comedy sometimes).
Like the episode where Tenma first meets Grimmer on the train to Prague and they have a picnic on the mountain was so dang good. I really need to rewatch that.
There are some elements of that style in other shows too, but to a lesser extent. Like some parts of Rakguo (mainly season 1) was very soothing. Naoki Urasawa's Monster had some fantastic, almost melancholic episodes like this.
It seems that most anime w/ that kind of style usually also have another genre mixed in. Mushishi was also very naturalistic, ACCA had a political underpinning.
It's sort of in the vein of a "Mushishi" style show. I suspect it's an emerging subgenre of slice of life that's meant to be very calming, relaxing, atmospheric which I really am digging.
I really hope there are more shows like it; not that it was perfect, but it was certainly unique and hit a lot more than it missed. I really like those cool, quiet shows you can enjoy with a nice cup of tea before you go to sleep.
Ironically though, I would say that the first half of ACCA (up until the big flashback) is better enjoyed week by week, or at least that's what I found.
@Mario: It felt good marathoning a show again rather than waiting week by week and next weekend I'll probably marathon house of five leaves.
@Mario: Forgot to mention...there were certainly a share of moments in Acca that feel fanservish to the female audience =P
@Aidan: haven't noticed that. Will fix it soon.
@Mario, Only problem I can see is that the posts have no spaces in between paragraphs.
... to be near my laptop for an entire week. First time that I had to blog entirely through my phone. Seemed to work out fine but I had to borrow screenshots from other source (I thank you that other source) ^^
*unless* rather than *as long as*. This has been a crazy week for me as I didn't have a chance
@anon1039488: I find the idea of limiting excess to exclusively stream an aime is a dumb idea; because as long as people have a chance to expose to the anime they won't really care to check it out. So I detest owning the legal streaming account, but I always pay back by buying DVDs/Blurays that I liked
I watched House of Five Leaves by the same mangaka and I really enjoyed it. Nataume Ono is a pretty excelent storyteller (a bit mixed on her art-style thou)
@Kaiser: I agree that the first dew episodes of ACCA were not that engaging but the endingg neatly tied up all loose ends. I still feel Grossular's act is kind of messy (why was he under such control from Lilium? He's not that kind to be in such passive role to be honest) but other than those I don't have any real complaints.
Competition is good, but it makes it cost so much to legally watch everything. That's why a lot of people pirate I feel.
You have Crunchryoll and Funi, fine. Then there's Daisuki which is kinda random. Then Amazon, Netflix, and Hulu all have some random anime, though it seems that mainly Amazon has current series
I don't have Amazon Strike, which is like their new venture into anime I guess. There's too many streaming services to keep up with tbh
To be honest I'm pretty crap when it comes to supporting things, I don't pay for almost all the things I watch/read/play, I don't have a crunchy or amazon account, I still pirate legal streams.
@Anon: Is it a case that your country is blocked? Maybe go for a vpn? If you absolutely have to you could pirate the show...
I wanna watch Re:Creators but don't have Amazon... :( alas
I feel like I need to wait and see approach with sekaisuru Kado...this prologue phase is...long...
I wish it had been 24 episodes long though to better organize itself.
Favourite characters were Jean, Groslur and Nino.
Can’t say I cared for the goofy interactions between Jean’s workfriends though.
Yet for whatever I could say about the pacing, when the twists happen they creep up on you and the show mostly lands every one of them, even if I’m not exactly pleased that sometimes the series does the “I pulled it out of the hat/ass” approach.
I’m relatively indifferent on the art/animation.
I did feel it picks up, improves by the mid-mark and to an extent the wait is worth it and things do come together even if I wasn’t always totally confidant with how it was getting there.
Having the protagonist go from district to district to flesh out the settings a decent enough idea and the main characters a fairly chill, cool guy.
Though the dialogue does create suspicion, intrigue, it does also plod/pad in equal measure at times.
Finally decided to sit down and watch Acca.
This show had its lovers/haters I’m sure, having watched it my feelings are mixed.
It is a slight breath of fresh air I’ll give it that and makes me want to maybe re-assess of adaptations of the author’s work.
@Mario: The only assayas film I've encountered so far that I disliked was Irma Vep, even though the lead actress was great, the surrounding performances, especially by Jean-Pierre-Lenaud were awful. Sils Maria I was initially evasive of because I'd heard that the relationship between Binoche and Stewarts characters was under-unexplored.
@Kaiser: Weersathakul's films are something else entirely...Otherworldly yet still cinematic. I feel a bit underwhelmed after watching the Unknown girl. The identity of the culprit, for example, feel forced for me that take me out our their naturalistic style. I'mmin between Clouds of sils maria too, know it's a good movie but it feels pretentous at times, like the movie Youth
@Mario: I also got round to watching Unknown girl by Dardenne, it carries enough moments of their brilliance but I felt they didn’t have as much mastery over their usual pacing style this time round, for the first time it felt like a thriller that played out like a drama, rather than a drama that has a pseudo thriller feel to it.
Going to watch Clouds of sils Maria next.
@Mario: The entire second half, which I’d have watched an entire film about is very atmospheric and dreamy/esoteric nearing just exactly the kind of thing I like.
The way he uses/shoots Thailands geography along with his cinematography is impressive, particularly in that second half.
@Mario: He shoots something simple like a chopping scene in a strangely engaging way, the scene with the old woman going into the cave is also very impressively shot and that one driving scenes with that pop song in the background has an airy feel to it.
In some ways I agree that there’s a bit of sensuality to it.
@Mario: It’s the kind of film that feeling tired/relaxed when watching it isn’t a condemnation of it(although a share of moments in the first half could be patience testing), it’s the sort of film where you aren’t really aware of anything outside of watching the film when you watch it.
@Mario: I finally looked into a Weersathakul film, Tropical Malady. I don’t even know how to give a star rating for this film.
I'm still on the fence with Alice & Zouroku. Like the title suggests, the warm chemistry between those two are its strongest point, but those moments are far and few in between as the story progresses and I don't care one bit about the Red Queen storyline. I might drop this one if the story doesn't improve
@Lenlo: 3 episodes anf Berserk still hasn't grabbed me as much. Yep facial expressions are really off-putting
Man... the facial expression in Berserk for the 3D models are, ever so slowly, killing me.
Alright. Tommarrow I will get out all those posts I am late on seeing as the impressions are all finished.
SukaSuka still has me mixed. On one hand there really are some great ideas and some well executed moments. But some of the dialogue is a bit typical of a light novel and the fanservice is really shameless. The massage at the end of the episode was something the show could really do without.
Konstantinos Travlos
I am in love with RE:Creators. I have no idea if they will keep it as good, but these two first episodes did all the right things.
Alright, Easter made me lazy so it's time to play catch up.
@Puran: Or even Georgiou Nikolaidis while I'm at it, morning patrol is a great mood piece. Not familiar with the other guy.
Puran
@Kaiser: No Grammatikos recommendation? :)
I still enjoy Zero pretty much. I like the contrast between the beastfallen and Zero. The hilarious lines sound more like accidental to me, not the best product but I enjoy the ride so far
@Kaiser: agree with everything you said. Apparently Haneke put Flashmob on hold because the main actress was conflicting in her schedule, so he decided to do Happy End instead
@Aidan: Does the old man represent gritty anime of old? I don't know honestly I'm just throwing it out there.
@Mario: In case you hadn't heard, Haneke dropped the Flashmob movie and is now doing one about the refugee crisis.
@Mario: To whoever will be playing Godard in that biopic, I'd wonder if they could capture how incredibly douchey he sounds irl lol
@Mario: There is such a big divide between 50s/60s Bresson and 70s/80s Bresson.
@Mario: Lathimos and Avaranas remind me in an odd way of Tarr in that they're the only Greek filmakers people seem to talk about , Check out Koundorous and Theodorous Angelopolous' works if you can.
@Mario: Meh, I don't like that sort of overly on the nose social commentary some American films and tv shows do in recent years.
@Mario: Godards extremely hit or miss with me. Hazanavicius did the artist I think, but I'd sooner recommend Biancnieves as a stronger example of a modern take on silent cinema or maybe a Guy Maddin film.
@Mario: Lotznitza directed a gentle creature not Zvyagintsev, though the latter is a fantastic director, Leviathan's ending hit me very very hard, its gut punching and I appreciated that the return never went into too much detail regarding the father.
@Kaiser: off topic, I didn't realize Get Out having such buzz reception. It's coming here next week so I will get to watch it
@Kaiser: Michel Hazanavicius makes a biopic about Jean-Luc Godard and Anne Wiazemsky (the actress in Au Hasard Balthazard), which I think will be interesting. I considered The Lobster one of the best film out of that year so I anticipate his next movie a hell lot. Yep, I watched few movies from Andrey Zvyagintsev and he certainly is in my radar. Bleak, social commentary, technical impressive
Oh, it's confirmed that was what was actually said in Japanese. Well...that's rather cringe worthy.
@Anon, Can't say I am too fond of it myself. Though that arrow to the knee reference definitely sounds like something the translator added in.
Holy shit Zero is hilarious. "I used to be a mercenary like you once. But then I took an arrow to the knee." "My magic is super weak so I need a powerful offering. Can you loan me your head please?" The comedy is so pointed and understated.
I do like how contrasting Zelda is to Nier in the sense that. Zelda cares more about how the game plays and making the player have fun constantly but doesn't care about telling something. Nier Automata doesn't care what it throws to the player but cares a lot about it tells the things that happen to player.
I think this is a hard game to score. Mainly because IMO the combat has wear out a bit do to the repetition and the sidequests have been a mixed bag with some being relevant to the plot or themes and some being just fodder to level up. On the other hand the game has a lot of implications, subtext and symbolism that so far has been enriching to reflect upon.
@Vonter, Actually wrote up 4/5s of a review on Nier Automata but with the new season I haven't had time to finish writing the review. Though my thoughts on it are similar to yours.
Nier Automata has a 10+ hour prologue. So far the game feels like it's more interested in delivering strong emotions than a compelling narrative, not that script is poor but seems disjointed in a way, circling around the themes of existentialism, purpose and truth without overexpositing about these things. It also some moments remind me of Fragile Dreams. Like the despair.
The old man is the one I can't pin down. Been thinking he might represent the kind of anime that's critically lauded but sadly unpopular. Makes sense as he's one of the few on the opening that doesn't stand near ads for his anime. Or else he's a live action drama representative.
Been wondering about the Re:Creators characters. We got the obvious representatives from Magical girl, Mecha, Light novel and video game. The knight girl looks like clear homage to Saber from Fate so a Visual novel representive? The psycho girl looks to be a chunni anime representative. And the guy who appeared at the end of ep 2 is clearly Shounen.
@Mario: The Ramsay one sticks out as the most interesting to me as does the lathimos one. I'm curious about that Russian one about the woman looking for her imprisoned husband as I'd like to watch more contempory Russian films.
@Mario: If you can get passed the accents Ramsay did a strong piece of social realism in the 90s called Ratcatcher.
@Mario: I think the only Baumbach film I've seen is Frances Ha and I liked the new wavey feel it had. With The lobster and re-watching dogtooth I was able to get into Lathimos' pitch black humour alot more. I've never actually seen a hong-sang so film.
@Amagi, I still really enjoy it but I do get what you mean. Looking at the series overall so far it does feel like there was lost potential.
I honestly still don't know what to think of LWA. I wasn't a fan of the formularic first half but the second half doesn't really catch me either. I loved the first OVA though.
Well I will be damned. That G Koh commenter managed to predict the inclusion of Yggdrasil in Little Witch Academia. Nicely done.
@Kaiser: sadly i won't make it this year. I wanna try the Toronto International Film Fest next time whenever I have a chance
@Kaiser:you heard about this year's Cannes selection?Overall it's solid, not many that scream "masterpiece" for me.Overall I'm exciting for Hong Sang Soo's new movies (he has 2 movies screening at Cannes and 1 already aired at Berlin.What the hell),and The Killing of the Scared Deer(Yorgos Lnthimos), You were never really here (Lynne Ramsay),Okja(Bong Joon Ho) and Meyerowitz Stories(Noah Baubach)
Hmmm...just found out That Blame! 2017 is being done by a the Ajin director, not sure how I felt about that.
Think this is the best time to end the series too as the difficultly was getting to be a bit too cheap.
Lore wise it's pretty disappointing. Ending the game with an enemy that doesn't really have that much relevance. But Gameplay wise it was excellent. The final area was just beautiful.
Ringed City was a great piece of DLC and a good way to end the series imo.
Dark souls sure can give you workout. Finally got around to finishing the ringed city DLC. Funny thing is that people were raving about how hard Midir was when I didn't have that much trouble with him. Gaol gave me some trouble but I managed it. Hardest was the demon prince and god I hate multi stage boss fights. Such a goddamn pain.
Atom still waiting for suitable subs. I swear to God, for a completist like myself the wait is unbearable, especially it should've been available already
HelghastKillzone
Yes it is.
Anonymous1020539
I mean...
Anonymous1020539
Re:producers is really great
@Aidan: I can see myself chancing more of it, I kind of caught into its rhythm a bit.
Novels are actually really short. About 90 pages long per volume. They really could cover this in a single cour.
@Kaiser, SukaSuka? From what I could tell it covered the first two chapters of the light novel. Each novel has 5 chapters. Though the first and last chapter are more of a prologue and epilogue respectively.
Actually if shuumatsu's first episode is going faster than the novel, roughly how much so? Its still obviously a slow burn in animated format but how much was covered in episode 1?
Could have done without the huge infodump but otherwise still loving Re:Creators. Seeing a magical girl shocked over her own level of destructive power was great.
Eh, I liked the use of music early on in shuumatsu and theres a good mood set up early on along with a good opening scene but the later parts of the episode except maybe for the after credits bit get a shrug from me.
@Mario: Kado has made its hook, now it needs not to keep holding its cards and get going.
hmmm, don't know what to think about Kado ep2. Still good but I expected more
But really my mentality is that this site comes first. Getting more traffic and improve the site are my top priorities, then "what I wanna do for myself" comes later
@Travlos: guess you won't have to read me this season :). Haven't checked out the last episode of Kado yet but based from the first 2 episodes I think you'd enjoy that show.
Don’t worry. It’s something Aidan and me both agree on. We pretty much write for ourselves, otherwise we couldn’t have stayed this long. I get a chance to go off track once in a while to write something I wanna write.
Konstantinos Travlos
@SuperMario. I am definitely watching Shingeki no Koyjin 2, Shingeki no Bahamut 2, Re:Creators, Little Witch Academia, and probably Kado and Zero Kara. I may also do Zipang this season.
On the reaction reaction. What you say is ok. But remember, a hobby is something you do for yourself. There is a limit to how much you should care about the views of others. :)
@Lenlo: Or if I can use a quote from Chang from Black lagoon : "A fragranced shit will forever still retain the smell of shit"
As most likely the biggest Berserk fan in this chatbox, its better but that doesnt make it good. Spraying fabreeze on crap doesnt make it any more appealing. Yet I will watch it anyways.
You don't even know
Lies Aidan it is soooo much better
Tbh I'm enjoying Alice to Zouroku so much simply because I identify with the old guy's no-nonsense attitude. It's fun to see the annoying loli get put in her place. X.D
Anyway Bam is supposed to be covering it. Seeing as he covered the first season.
@Anon, I watched the first episode of the second season. Better? Yes, but only slightly.. It has all the same problems as the first season.
and nobody's covering it lol
Like dramatically
It really is much better
You know guys its not too late to start watching Berserk Season 2...
I just get annoyed when interaction is like "HUMAN, YOUR EMOTION RESPONSE IS DIFFERENT. I THEORIZE THIS IS THE REASON YOUR EMOTIONAL RESPONSE IS DIFFERENT."
Their is a definite layer of pretentiousness in how it's written, seeing how nobody gets annoyed when every character tries to psychological profile them.
@Mario, I have heard word that these two episodes were a prologue story and the real story is going to kick into gear next episode. But if the characters keep talking like this then it's not going to matter what happens. It will just be terrible.
@Anon, Jojo part 5 died for this. That makes it all the sadder. Plus it's two cour so this show is gonna be on for half a year.
Being said all that I will follow it for 1 more episode
And then that girl who passed away because of the reset. I feel my emotions drying up at that point. Tasteless. Heartless
Wanna say the same thing regarding Sagrada Reset as well. I have the feeling the show tries to sound smart that ultimately if I hear someone talks like this in real life, I would go punch his face. Manipulating the social worker by slitting your own wrist? WHAT? Asking a girl about her rules, then whenever she answers you give your own warped opinions on it to sound like you know it all? WHAT
@Aidan: Lol, Sagrada reminds me of how I used to write. Pretentious, overly complex dialogue that nobody would use in real life unless they were trying too hard. It grits on my ears so much that I don't think I can keep watching it, especially because this is probably how it's going to be for the whole series.
@Amagi: I feel your pain. I used to enjoy those types of shows, but I've found more and more since getting out of high school that they just make me want to take a nap. It doesn't help that they're everywhere. X.D
God Sagrada Reset is frustrating. So many good ideas, all absolutely ruined by the dialogue and characters. If you just changed the dialogue a bit and made the characters emote more then this would be so very interesting. But they manage to drain the life out of the story.
@Amagi, in most cases you can easily write off the ones not worth your time based on the summery. Occasional those kinds of show can turn out to be worth watching but it just doesn't happen often enough.
Nothing against those types of anime in general, but it's just not aimed at me I guess. - I also should specify: school (semi)harem, not school alone. I enjoy Tsuki ga Kirei.
I really love this season but I should stop testing the school- and shoujo stuff. It's almost never worth the time and it always bores me so much that I have to stop watching anime for a few hours.
@Travlos: Why does a hobbyist artist care when someone critiques their art or a fanfic writer care about reader feedback? When you do something you enjoy, it's normal to want to improve and other people's opinions are important for that.
@Travlos: because 1) We still need to listen to what readers say to improve and 2) we're debating more about rating system, which I also feel the need of upgrading. btw, any shows that catch your interests so far this season?
Konstantinos Travlos
Why do you guys care about what someone thinks about your reviews? You are doing a good enough thing as is, and t is a hobby. Do your thing and do not lose time on this.
I think I'm just gonna follow sukasuka and re:creators this season. Seem to of shown the most potential universally.
Soy and almond milk are also available as alternatives for the lactose intolerant.
From the manga it seems like it would translate well into an anime with the right production values so I think I'm going to try it. I was mostly concerned that they'd push the melodrama even more through the roof, haha. I did see some of the reviews on it here and they made me hopeful that it was fairly well-executed.And of course the milk can be chocolate. Just not vanilla, vanilla milk is yuck i
Its certainly making me happy I waited until the end of the season to binge it.
I'd have the milk as well... Need more milk to my life.
Hope Scum's Wish entertains you, Lenlo. ^^
I will say the sound design has been great for Scums Wish though I have not read the manga to see how it matches up
I dont think "enjoyed" is the right word for this kind of show, but I do know im going to finish it.

Also, can the milk be chocolate?
@Lenlo: That's true, but I also feel like everyone here needs some milk. And I've been reading the Scum's Wish manga and can't decide if it'll be worth it to watch the anime.
Scums Wish, 4 episodes in, has been the perfect little dose of depression I crave from each anime season.
I have to say, its a pretty fun break from super srs anime discussion sometimes
There's so much sass in this chatbox sometimes I can't even. :.D
Also please note that if data gathering results do not support your hypothesis that there will be no refunds
I will have you know my data gathering services are quite expensive and I don't operate until paid.

Little Witch Academia – 16[The Trial of Pohjola]

One of the weaker episodes of the show but still enjoyable. This week sees us visiting Lottes parents and Akko unlocking another of the words of Arcturus after sloving a disease outbreak. Thus getting closer to the grand triskelion and now learned the meaning of pathence. Except she didn’t learn the meaning of pathence. This […]

Re:Creators Episode 3 – “Don’t worry about what others said. Just be yourself.”

This week wasn’t a particular exciting episode as it went further into how the mechanics between the Creator and Created might or might not work. As speculated last week, Yuuya Mirokuji is a pretty fun character that takes his teleportation into the modern world in stride. His own fictional universe of the Tokyo underground isn’t […]

Uchoten Kazoku 2 – 03 [The Scent of Europe]

Dear, how this show spoils me with its magnificent and whimsical magical realism Kyoto world. Last season, we were treated with many Eureka moments like Benten pulling a whale’s tail; tanuki drinking in a floating house to enjoy Gozan Fire Festival, or a fake train running around the shopping mall. Whatever the case, the way […]

Seikaisuru Kado – 03[Wam]

I admit this show moves at a pace that is rather slow but he concept it sets up is truly brilliant. Normally in alien invasion stories the threat is clear as the aliens blow up the white house and attack humanity. Other versions usually paint humans as the antagonist force attacking something they don’t understand. […]

Shingeki no Kyojin(Attack on Titan) – 29[Soldier]

Before I started this episode, I had it in mind to write in this post that the titan designs of this season were far less intimidating and more comical. After this episode however you can consider that though solely retracted. Personal favorite is the titan that appears when Reiner opened the stairway door. If I […]

Tsuki ga Kirei – 03 [Howling at the Moon]

Tsuki ga Kirei sure understands about the life of 14-year-old kids would be like. I’m sure we all have different experience about that pre-teen stage of our life, but the life portrayed here is so vivid and true to life that it brings out our fond memories as well. Personally, while not much really happen […]

Sakura Quest – 03 [The Cry of the Mandrake]

“The one who can change the town is the young fool outsider” Which kind of makes sense, since the outsider’s perspective will give a fresh take to improve the town. That makes our Queen Yoshino the perfect candidate, but as the interview goes on, she learns the truth: she hardly knows anything about the town, […]

Little Witch Academia – 15[Chariot of Fire]

Shiny Chariot rides once again and I think that’s where most of the animation went besides the showcase at the end of the episode. Wise choice though as it shows that Ursula hasn’t dulled much in her later years. She still seems intent on keeping her identity secret from Akko though this may be because […]

Shingeki no Kyojin(Attack on Titan)- 28[Southwestward]

It’s more than a little frustrating when you have a character present who has answers to very important questions, yet refuses to speak up for rather contrived reasons. Though we don’t quite know why the priest doesn’t speak up I can’t really think of anything that would possibly be preventing him from doing so. This […]

Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon (Winter 2017) Review – 74/100

Scum’s Wish (Winter 2017) Review – 80/100

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Review – 90/100

When you have watched a large amount of anime you can come to assume that you have learned a lot about Japanese culture. Though I think it’s testament to how limited it is to view Japan through anime when you come to realize that despite watching so much, you have never heard of Rakugo. Rakugo […]

Youjo Senki Saga of Tanya the Evil Review – 80/100

Isekai stories have become somewhat of a tiresome genre as of late. There have been many stories of people being transported/reincarnated into other worlds where they shed their once pitiful exterior and become some legendary figure in another world. In most cases it’s trit, balant childish wish fulfilment and the stories often become tiresome when […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. (Winter 2017) Review – 83/100

Imagine my utmost amazement when a show that I wasn’t that confident on taking in the beginning turned out to be one of the most solid offering this season had to offer. ACCA is the most recent anime adaptation from mangaka Natsume Omo, which despite isn’t a household name, many of her works (6 titles […]

Demi-chan wa Kataritai (Winter 2017) Review – 62/100

Demi-chan is one of the newest addition to the monster girl subgenre, which usually feature a human helpless male lead get stuck in a harem of mythical creatures, in form of oversized boob girls of course (why usually those monsters are in female forms anyways? Aren’t they sexless?). In this case, we have monster girls […]

Seiren (Winter 2017) Review – 51/100

Let me say this out front, Seiren is NOT a good show, it’s a highly uneven one. Throughout its run, I can see some solid moments and fresh ideas that could potentially raise it above the bar, but ultimately, view it as a whole, Seiren is a show that isn’t worth recommending. At first, I’m […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100