Posted by psgels on 27 March 2010 with categories: Armed Librarians - The Book of Bantorra

yeah, so there is no doubt that this show is getting cheesy. The thing is, however, that I’m much more interested in how this finale uses the build-up that has been provided by the rest of this series. In a way, I can understand the criticisms to this series: standalone the characters indeed aren’t the reason to watch this show.

I haven’t really been watching this show for its characters, though. The reason I became a huge fan of this series was because of its storytelling: the way it managed to weave so many storylines together. The boldness of the script and the way that it was able to write these gripping action scenes, simply with this plot that had so many interesting ideas stuffed into it, combined with its powerful and over the top soundtrack.

I really love it when anime decide to show off what they’re good at. The reason why I’m also such a big fan of Noloty and Volken was not because what they were, but what they represented. I really believe that every anime should focus what it’s good at, and this finale has been truly action-packed, throwing tons of plot twists and ideas into the mix and exactly what I’ve been looking for! While other series this season have more realistic characters, none of them really excell in the same magnitude that Bantorra’s plot has been impressing me with, week after week after week. THAT’s exactly why I already consider this to be a huge contender for my favourite show of 2010, even though we’ve still got three seasons to go before I can say for sure. it’s SO going to be a shame to see this series end next week, because I’ve been enjoying every single minute of it.
Rating: *** (Awesome)

1. Alec says:

there were some cheesy parts, buts its not that horrible… people were like complaning bout how cheesy the episode was, so i thought that we were gonna have a horrible episode, but we didnt

2. Nayrael says:

Who cares if it is cheesy as long as it is good? And this episode was awesome :D

3. jose says:

finally i watched hamyuts defeated for someone at least for some time ,but the true is i wanted hamyuts for be the winner ,but at this part i don’t know exactly who was the good side and the evil side ,but i think it was very sad when mirepoc was very frightened and she ran to the place of the acting director and was in shock when she saw hamyuts like that, it must be a great shock saw the most powerful person who you think can protect you like that,but i don’t know if hamyuts was only acting her defeat because in the last part she was very confident

4. Forwho says:

It seems like some characters are coming back next episode! That’s what I was hoping for, even though it’s cheesy haha. Seriously enjoy this show a lot! It’s way underrated IMHO.

5. PhantomX says:

It was just the end of the episode was cheesy, and that it’s setting up the next one for it. Was it a bad episode? Not at all, but it was also not one of the show’s best.

6. Mwoha says:

Terrible episode
    What with the random reviving of people and the crap explanation of why Hamyuts didn’t die. Plus Hamyuts acting really out of character in the talk/fight with Ruruta.

Such a shame. All that buildup wasted

7. psgels psgels says:

Mwoha: um, you do realize that all of this happened inside Ruruta? What we was was merely the same that happened in the Enlike arc, just on a larger scale.

8. Troyen says:

I’ve been disappointed with this last story arc. Watching the invincible Hamy go up against the near-invincible Ruruta for ten minutes was pretty boring and its easy to predict how its going to end.

I think the show really shines when it focuses on multiple storylines and multiple characters simultaneously, not so much when there’s only two or three real characters (the others just kinda came, threw some punches, and vanished) and one storyline.

I am curious how the revival of Mirepoc will play out though.

9. Mwoha says:

@ Psgels

I think where this differs from the Enlike arc is that it had some sort of purpose, and the dead characters only appeared to say half a sentence each in a cameo by departed spirits sort of way.

Here it just looks like it’s been done because there needs to be an end to the story and they couldn’t be bothered to flesh out new characters to play out the story in a convincing way, so they just pulled the old “Mental Battle” trick to reanimate old characters and finish off whatever story part is left.

I still think the story up to this point was brilliant, and hope they can pull off an ending that will at least be enjoyable to watch, but I think this episode definitely took away something from the Bantorra experience

10. billish says:

They havent brought any characters who have died in the ‘real world’ back to the ‘real world’. Any of the character cameos in this episode and the next exist only because their books were fed to Ruruta (his power).

Anyways I think they’re doing a great job with this anime; everything makes sense on one level or another, whereas many anime series have had trouble simply creating a story that works from beginning to end.

This is one of the better new animes I have seen, and I hope next weeks finale lives up to the expectations I have for it.

11. Mwoha says:

@Billish

True, it’s just seeing pretty much every single character that they killed of again in a sort of OH HI way (except Volken!) sort of cheapened death for me.

And I’m was probably being rather harsh there by saying it was a terrible episode. I suppose after those runs of brilliant episodes can’t really be put out by a few cringeworthy moments in a couple. By any other anime’s yardstick Bantorra is still doing pretty well I suppose, though I maintain that it is still a dip in its form by its own standard.

by the way just wanna take a moment to thank psgels for the blog, I always look forward to your take on Anime as normally it is put together in a straight to the point kind of way. Thank god for at least one blog on the internet without the blogger being an insane fanboy or a sucker for moe or whatever. Plus the commenters also say interesting things :o

12. PhantomX says:

We’re not going to see Volken, since his book is with Mirepoc… though maybe the way Mirepoc is crucial to the whole plan is that she has to get him in there somehow (or influence Ruruta in some way).

13. Mr. nobody says:

the true power of HAMY!!!!! *random cheese wind blows around her* and then she says come to my aid “those who love me” HUH????? didn’t you kill their asses for no discernible reason and don’t most of them despise you for how you went about things??? WHO WRITES THIS $HIT ?… but comparing “this $hit” to other selections this season i guess this is one of the better shows *rolls eyes*

14. Astral100 says:

Very bad episode. The series is falling apart with this rushed and non-sensical ending.
    And you are saying Code Geass was a trainwreck?
    Why can’t a good series end with a good ending that actually makes sense and completely answers all the questions for a change?
    I can’t remember the last time I saw a good ending. What I saw here so far, makes me go WTF?!? Not a good feeling for an episode before the last one.

Most of the stuff that happened in this episode just went over my head. Storytelling? Are you kidding me?

15. Machi says:

I think the thing with cameos or ‘revivals’ of dead characters is it will always run the risk of being cheesy or come of as ‘cheap’. Precisely, as it runs counter to logic and lets face it not much shows can pull off suspension of disbelief easily (nor is it easy to pull it off, not just in anime but in many things best I’ve seen are those that use it as hallucinations and such).

Yet, as noted there is some attempt at least by the show to suspend disbelief since what we’re seeing are the contents of Ruruta’s stomach. From the previous episode, upon seeing Colio, you’re already aware something is off. What I would criticize instead is what could be the choice of characters brought back to help Hamyuts, since I’d be wondering as to whether or not they were devoured and should be there (Mokkania ok I’m fine but Noloty?). Still it would be an exaggeration to call this episode terrible without taking into consideration the first half.

Seeing Hamyuts completely unhinged as she attacked Ruruta and enjoying herself to the fullest so far is one of the best scenes I’ve seen from this anime. Its completely twisted and just so Hamyuts, furthermore I’ve never seen such a great way of showing a masochistic. The fevered pitch is what sticks to me for this episode. Of course the change of heart on the latter quarter is well disheartening but nevertheless though it is cheesey at least the build up to the end leaves a sense of plausibility, meaning its not just some random strawn together happy ending for the sake of it ala Clandad.

16. EINSOF says:

@MachiYou make very solid points, nice.

As for myself, i have very much enjoyed this series, even at this very episode. so far, the events are playing out to the logic of the universe. I dont see any “Deus ex machina” cuz so far all of the events till now have been carefully planned out and characters deaths and emotions well told. I see some poeple starting to build up the “bash ball” and that normally happens when a series comes close to its end. this series has been and stream of well told events and plot twists and i think poeple expect the ending to be one big plot twist with no real answer so they can expect more in the future.

17. PL says:

The thing about Noloty is that Ruruta has demonstrated that he likes to eat books of people who follow some path to its fullest, Ruruta loves extremists, and Noloty had an ideal that she followed more fully than anyone. Mokonia had one of the most fearsome powers in the story, only schlamuffen could counter it. And honestly, a little cheese is good for the lymph…would we really want to see their deaths be totally meaningless? I dig some kafka, camus and hesse from time to time, but that kind of existential soul-battering isn’t why I watch anime. Yes, I want some realism, or a good enough reason to suspend my disbelief based on prior foreshadowing about the possibilities, and that was done here. I don’t want a happy ending at the cost of undermining the story. They didn’t do that in this episode, instead they brought together a number of elements of the show, and numerous things foreshadowed from every arc in the story, to build toward an ending that should be as satisfying as the rest of the series, without leaving me feeling like an alienated cockroach unable to approach humanity.

18. Denizen says:

It was glorious to finally see Hamyuts in despair – after 25 episodes of her being solidly confident, it had an awesome impact.
    The animation with the faces in this episode was something special too – it really added to the drama.

And, really, I appreciate the drama – even Lascall Othello herself says that if it ended without a bang, it would be disappointing.

19. MsteaK says:

A bit cheesy, but since I love Hamy’s character, I really don’t care all that much for the ending of this episode. Was it iffy? Yes, absolutely.

I just want to read the light-novels, you can really tell that they’re cramming so much content in only 20 minutes of screentime.

20. PL says:

After what she did to Volken, and I don’t mean killing him but cruelly and without any reason destroying his ideals before doing so, I just couldn’t love Hamyuts anymore.

21. MsteaK says:

That’s exactly why I find her charming. She’s a complete asshole that can still act noble from time to time.

And of course because I’m fed up with moe and its submissive doormats.

22. PL says:

I just think she crossed a line at that point that could no longer make her a sympathetic character for me. I like strong female leads also, but not evil bitches…

23. MsteaK says:

I disliked Volken and was happy to see his sense of justice being dwindled away. I guess that has something to do with it too. Hamy’s by no means a Balsa or Alita, but I still like her.

24. PL says:

Ah, too me Volken and Noloty were the real leads in the show, with their strong ideals. I like characters with strong ideals when they 1) Have the bad-ass-ness to back them up and 2) Aren’t just stupidly simplistic in their worldview. Volken couldn’t help that he didn’t know about the corruption in the library, since nobody else really knew either. And his sense of justice was more complex than your usual clueless “everybody just play nice” lead. And, if Mirepoc hadn’t first tricked him, I think he would have succeeded in revealing the truth to everyone. His only mistake was not telling Mirepoc what was going on before he took off. If he’d done that, and she hadn’t wiped her memory, everything would have gone down really differently. Granted, I love the show for the boldness it took to kill him off and I hope he stays good and dead. I just don’t care for Hamy anymore because of it. And I’m cool with that.

25. Hunter-Wolf says:

Wow, what’s with everyone missing the entire point of this episode (and maybe even the series), i mean finally everything is coming full circles and making sense and people start complaining about “deus ex machina” and cheesiness … did you people actually watch the series !!!

There is nobody ‘brought back’ .. everyone shown in the episode IS still dead .. everything is going inside Rurata not in the real world .. that dimension clearly and from the very beginning of the series -as seen in the Enlike arc- has its own rules, Rurata is as we know now an avid book eater like Enlike host was … so every single person’s book that has been eaten by him means that person’s essence is trapped inside of Rurata …. it would only be cheap if at the end of the series they return back to the real world .. but i don’t think that will happen .. actually being helpful to Hamy’s fight gives way more meaning and value to their deaths .. and their life which they lived to the fullest.

And as for how everything is coming full circles … well … for the reason above they ended up inside Rurata’s body .. who was trying to find happiness in their stories to help Nienu out of her despair (Nienu who also happened to be trapped inside his body as well) … but now he figured out her despair is incurable and that she became the incarnation of destruction … destruction that those he ate to please her will help him stop … things has been going in this direction from the very beginning .. and if you don’t like it you probably should have quit watching the series at the beginning instead of complaining now.

And as for Hamy .. i really liked her this episode … IMO she isn’t really evil at all .. it is the hell (all the torture and experiments) that she went through that twisted her personality like that (having her character and entire life cast to love death and kill Rurata)… probably she can be called one of the best anti-hero female characters … seeing her in despair was really strange and touching considering how strong and lunatic she was during the entire series .. but i guess everyone has a break point .. funny thing though .. she finally showed her good side after dying in the real world XD

Now i wonder what role will Meripoc play … it is probably something very important .. important enough for Lascal to sacrifice its existence to wake Meripoc .. interesting .. can’t wait to see the final episode.

26. Anomandaris says:

I really don’t see the cheesiness in this episode …

Ruruta is a demi-god who has consumed 100,000 books, there’s really no way for anyone to take him down in the real world. The ‘mental battle’ finale actually makes sense … Makia knew that engineering a mortal to rival Ruruta in raw power would have been impossible, and so he engineered someone who could attack Ruruta from within, where the rules of reality do not apply

Shiron’s interaction with Colio and the dimension inside Enrique have already made it evident that ‘Books’ are not simply static things which are read … but actual Souls which possess some consciousnous of their own. So a final battle between the Souls of Books and Ruruta is not something which has been sprung upon us out of the blue.

Where’s the cheese?

27. Hunter-Wolf says:

@Anomandaris

Well said indeed, but there is something here … i don’t think the final battle will be aganist Rurata .. but actually aganist Nienu (who is now a manifestation of destruction).

Actually Rurata seems to have realized his mistakes and had a change of heart (specially after the talk with Colio Tonnis spirit.

I previously had no interest in a Godzilla Anime film. But after reading the concept here I am now very very interested: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-03-24/godzilla-anime-film-reveals-full-title-story-new-visual-november-premiere/.113863
@Kaiser: they are still around. And believe it or not the actual band members are Damon Albarn (former lead singer of Blur) taking care of all the music and Jamie Hewlett who taking of the animation. I love alternative music, I can enjoy hip-hop music and I'm a fan of animation => this band basically has everything I personally love
@Mario: Kaiser here, posting from public computer. I had no idea the gorillaz were still around, many years ago I would have listened to their Clint Eastwood song, aswell as dirty harry and feel good inc, I also remember the artstyle of their videos catching my attention.
Anyone here listen to Gorillaz? They're one of my favorite band and their new song Saturnz Barz is great. Excited for their coming album now
I guess I'm considering blood blockade also because I'm burnt out o demanding and old films to some extent.
@Kaiser: I really enjoyed the first season of Blockade. It's one of those cases where I think the delayed of the last episode killed all the exciment regarding the show. I actually fall behind and then catched up again as soon as the last episode was out so I enjoyed everything so much more
@Aidan: makes me really wonder why some of the studios are very uptight about their show's details. Like, they have to know if it is a short series or not, right.
Yet its not exactly a show that fits into being my thing.
Blood blockade battlefront is one of those shows that is always in the back of my head, despite negative biasI managed to at least enjoy some of gungrave, I grew up, sort of with trigun, so with blockade having Yuji Nightow involved theres always that part of me that says to watch blood blockade battlefront.
This is one of the annoying things about previews. You got o the trouble of looking it up and writing on it only for it to get delayed or turn out to be a short series.
ohh, Blood Blockade Battlefront moves back to October airing. I might have a chance to cover it after all. Though look at how it gets delay and the change of director, it yells more concerns than optimism
Yep, Manga is completed at 6 Volumes. But it's kinda weird that the series managed to cover 6 volumes when it's so slow paced. I normally thought that 5 to 6 episodes was needed to cover a manga volume on average.
@anon954341: ACCA will finish in 1 cour, as the manga is already completed and from what I heard episode 11 & 12 cover the last 5 chapters of the manga.
is Acca 13's story going to finish in 1 cour, or is it still ongoing?
Honestly do wonder how much longer anime blogging will be a thing and how much they have to compete with popular youtuber's channels.
I once had some idea of doing a forum with a friend, it never went anywhere.
Aidan gave good advice anon, I still found old posts from when I was teenager archived somewhere online and it made me facepalm.
Eh, I wanted to throw myself into Mario and your conversation about personalities by talking about myself, force of habit.
@Kaiser, Not sure what this rambling is about but good for you...I guess?
@Anon, Blogs take a lot of work for very little in return. I wouldn't try starting one unless you are ready to make a huge commitment. Besides at your age(Based on that comment) it would be best to not put too much on the internet. The internet never forgets and it can come back to haunt you later in life.
The reason I bring some of this up is because I think that even if someone isn't the most emotional person out there, they shouldn't ignore/bash on certain shows/genres because of that, even if you don't get feelings out of it, the story/drama/characters could still be worthwhile.
I do think getting pissed off though is much easier irl than doing it online where it doesn't bother me as much.
And it surprises me alot that I followed so many romance manga years ago, enjoyed them, but I've never been a romantic person irl at all.
I also hate incompetence/failure and am generally not especially patient.
I care about others and appearances mainly to extent it either is of benefit, if I have to or it avoids hassle.
People tend to think I'm cold, articulate, blunt irl too.
I'm not a sentimental or passionette/emotional person irl, I don't like wasting time with other peoples shit and don't bother with it, avoid looking at people or touching them physically, talk in long dry speeches and in general come off as a quiet, reserved but snarky/cynical person.
I probably unknowingly come off as different on this site than I would irl.
Honestly I'd veer towards depressing or surreal/strange/messed up work more out of just wanting to see weird and depressing stuff happen and little else, just interests me, I can't remember the last time I cried.
um i wanted to make my own blog but it wants a email but i dont want my parents finding out
It is weird how we never clash on what we want to cover on each season. Anyway I need someone to contrast my egotisical self so it's all good.
haha, Aidan: heartless grumpy monster & Mario: sentimental sappy bloke. Readers, you got yourself quite an odd combination of writers here.
Anonymous951955
We'll see; trailers can give false impressions
Anonymous951955
Not that all changes from source adaptations are terrible, but in this case, at least the trailer makes it look pretty bad.
Anonymous951955
It looks not great; I understand the need to change it a bit to suit the format/audience, but at what point does it turn from adaption to "loosely based on"?
HelghastKillzone
I'm glad we're past the phase of moe club shows.
@Helghast, now that's something I never thought I would hear.
HelghastKillzone
Hell ya. We are in a golden age of anime that is filled with options and quality.
What a great week! Iron Blooded Orphans, Onihei, Little Witch Academia and ACCA 13 all had great episodes! I am spoiled!
@Anon and @Aikan

The LoGH manga remake has been out. It did not work for me.

I hope he anime goes its own way. I do trust Production IG, so I hope. I think it might not be this year. No lgoic, just a hunch.
@Anon, Only info I can find is that it's coming out this year and it will be by Production IG. But I think you are right in that if it;s coming this year it will definitely be winter.
Feeling rather cautious about the remake myself. LoGH is dated visually but in a way it is a product of it's time and things you could forgive in the old version wouldn't be so forgivable in the new.
Does anybody know when that LoGH readaptation is coming? It's supposed to be this year right? Probably winter right?
But I will give it a full review anyways because all the amount of time I spent in that series should be paid off somehow, right?
But serious Gohands is a studio that had potential its just a shame its wasted on rubbish writers. Although I did like mardock scramble, because cyberpunk =)
If I met handshakers in public I'd refuse to shake its hand =D
Oh, it's actually just an extra Hand Shakers episode that serves as a prequel story. Not that bad then
Not to disregard Hand Shakers, but the best way to describe how I feel about that series is mind-numbing
They tried with that Military guy and his daughter but not by much.
But I do agree that there needs to be more to the characters, right now its JUST Tanya.
As for Tanya, having caught up with it, its a nice trashy guilty pleasure, especially due to the protagonist and I enjoy the setting because I'm a war film fan and like some of the action/politicking. I still do wish it was aesthetically a bit better. The dub isn't that bad and I'd welcome a second season.
In an ideal world Kino's journey would have been a good model for what light novel adaptations can be and SHOULD be.
If we must have more light novel adaptations, I would prefer them to be like Tanya, Muvluv, okay hardly breathtaking, but still better than that thing Aidan linked.
*Sigh* It looks exactly how I imagined it would and its terrible.
Please dont tell me thats an actual title.
In another world with my smart phone light novel to get an anime.

Oh my god...This literally sounds like a joke title you would see within an anime. Tried giving it an honest chance by reading it and it's just shit. Just pure terrible.
If people in Japan are actually buying blurays thinking its a good show then something is seriously wrong with the world.
@Topgavin, maybe too many people watched it because it was so terrible. I haven't watched past episode 1 but it doesn't sound like it improved.
Just incase you guys were avidly waiting for the announcement, Hand Shakers is getting a prequel season because it's apparently selling well......
Should be happy for it, though I'm a bit disappointed that I can't be able to cover it
Inside Mari gets live-action series adaptation. Why not anime?? Duh
Spike
Little Witch Academia finally tips it's hand on the overall plot! I'm pretty pleased and think some direction might help bump it up from just being 'good' overall.
HelghastKillzone
@KTravlos Still watching it week by week and I'll write up a review on the second season of Iron-Blooded when it ends.
@Mario: It is however the kind of anime film that would have the wide audience appeal though, as in anime for people who don't watch anime.
@Kaiser: just prove that people has paid attention to anime. That's an encouraging sign actually
Feck, silent voice was booked out when I got there just now....should have booked in advance, showing at 7:00 on Friday booking it now.
@KTravlos: I haven't, but that more because I'm not a big fan of Mecha genre. I believe one of our writer HelghastKillzone still follow the series
No idea, if you are all still watching MS Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans. I am, and while the 2nd Season toned down some of the elements that made the 1st Season good, it is still pretty good with the last episode doing a great job. If it keeps it, it definitely is head to head with Turn A Gundam for my favorite long-form Gundam Series (I am doing Gundam Origins for the original story)
Mhmm. It was one of those shows it weave adult themes into a kids show, so it had something for both. Now I can also appreciate the artstyle that doesnt use hard black outlines for everything.
If anything I get so much more out of Samurai Jack now than when I watched it as a kid.
Love that dude Aidan. And yes Kaiser, I think anyone get enjoy it now. I love that its back, but even without that its easily standing on its own
How much of this love of samurai jack is a nostalgia driven thing? I'm not knocking that nostalgia but would it be possible to get something out of the show now if I never watched it when I was younger?
Yeah, that conversation was great. Really shows you how messed up hes become. Its also amazing when you realize that was the last set of spoken dialogue in the episode. There was not a single word uttered in the second half.
The audience who enjoyed samurai Jack has grown up, them bringing up seppuku and blood is possibly a part of that.
Scene with the coffins was awesome as was the fight in the dark. My personal favorite part of the episode though was Jack arguing with his old design self. And young jack suggesting committing seppuku made my eyebrows raise. I mean..damn.
I agree Aidan. That quick shot of Jack vs the Daughter, with the sudden blood, suprised me as much as it did Jack. I really loved the scene with the coffins. The music nad sound was just great there.
@Lenlo, It was a really great episode. I love the meta of Jack being worn down by the wait and the wait the viewers had to endure for the new season. I is rather odd seeing blood in Samurai Jack though but it does make that particular moment have so much more impact.
April 16th for NZ. It is a lesser known movie than Kimi no na wa though, so I do wonder how available it's going to be in cinemas
This second episode of Jack was really just amazing. Its making full use of the new budget/tech for the art and of the new rating, along with the impact the timeskip would have on Jack. The cinematography was superb as well.
@Kaiser: Koe ko machi will creen in Aussie in the beginning of April as well. I'll go to watch it; but I would love to jear your thoughts on the movie.
There is a preview screening of koe to kachi on Monday night, depending I may go, I may review it or at least talk about it on here.
I'm dying waiting for the Blame! anime film adaptation to come out in May. I've wanted an adaptation for years.
And I'm too much of a cheap-ass to actually buy anything, don't even use legal streaming for films or anime/manga/comics, pirate almost everything.
Or shelves for that matter.
I've fallen out of the collectors thing pretty much entirely. I don't like to advertise any of my interests on my bedroom wall either.
Some years ago I ended up selling almost all of my anime dvds/vhs and manga, comic books aswell, took down my posters and moved what figures I had left into attic boxes , just no space for it and it was a good way to get some quick extra cash.
I love Rakugo as well, im not meaning to bad talk it at all. I simply also agree with Aiden that slow rolling us with Yakumo's death was poorly done and that its feeling stretched.
Nevermind, the $30 price tag made that decision for me
Weird how I see $8 movies on youtube as a ripoff yet a $90 series as a bargain. All these $300 box sets made me think it'd be in the hundreds. Wonder if I should get rebellion too
I'm still pretty much a fan of Rakugo this season. It goes much darker than the first season, something I didn't dare to think before consider this isYotaro's story. Would love to see more about rakugo's industry but this season does flesh out a lot of our core characters
I said it before but I'll bring it up again, the slow pace allows for, when big things happen to have a larger impact when they do.
*In
**and(not on) waiting for the series to finish
Season 1 showed a lot more, different periods and times, the development of Rakugo, the tragedy of Sukeroku & Miyokichi (or at least one version). In contrast, season 2 was basically about Sukeroku's legacy in the form of Yotaro and Konatsu and their kids, and Yakumo's relationship with death, changing from fatalistic to happiness over the course of the series.
I think it might be 13 episodes, the first season had 13.
To be honest, I understand your point: It's hard to actually describe what happened in season 2. I guess I became invested into Yakumo in season 1, and then warmed up to Yota and Konatsu in this season.
Yeah, I think they certainly could have compressed the front half of the season. There wasn't too much plot going on, but I enjoyed the characters and their interactions, so I didn't mind the deliberate pacing.
I still really like Rakugo, its really good, it just probably didnt need 12 episodes. That said, really lookin forward to the timeskip
@Mario: I've never actually seen any of Olivier Asayas' films come to think of it.
But going back to that dragging on, that did factor in almost making me hold off on waiting for the series to finish before going back. The anon's comment was what got me to watch this weeks episode right now rather than waiting till later.
Rakugo remains at this point still going in too long, but in fairness to the anon, yes the episodes conclusion was effective on emotional level and I bought into the dreamy atmosphere, largely due to the good cinematography the series uses.
Really? Im torn. Im glad they didnt bait and switch us again, but I always liked how grounded Rakugo was so im not sure how ok I am with the supernatural part and some of it felt like fanservice in regards to bringing characters back. The VA though is fantastic as always and I am definitely looking forward to this last timeskip. Cant wait to see the kids grown up.
Rakugo was otherworldly today. Not going to lie, was fighting tears back, but failed at the end.
@Topgavin: the bluray goes by region as well so you can only buy it in Australia/NZ region (region 4). For Madoka I still find it easiest to just go to JB Hi Fi and buy it. Sometimes I find it cheaper from JB Hi Fi than even their original distribution company.
@Topgavin, I ordered my Madoka bluray's from Amazon.co.uk.
Where do you guys buy your merch? Was looking into buying the Madoka blurays but can't find a reliable place to ship to NZ.
@Kaiser: nah, Personal Shopper isn't even a horror. It's just a failed arthouse that have little to say except grief.
...even now. For Raw, I would never expect the positive reactions from mainstream. I think the film really push the tolerance of the voewers, but it was a refrrshing watch.
@Kaiser: now you mentioned 2 films thay I really fond of. I come from Vietnam, so I could easily tell you that the settings are staged. The dialogue is pretty unnatural as well, but the movie grows a lot on me. I still love the striking visual and a long, slow mood the film evoke, and It speaks to one of the theme (women's identity in Vietnam society) that speaks well to me and still relevant...
@Mario: Is personal shopper really that mediocre a horror film?
@Mario: I also got back from seeing Raw a couple of hours ago, though the violence was enjoyable I was expecting it to be more so, it was also surprisingly funny at times.
@Mario: I did eventually see Scent of Green Papaya, while I did like that a plot actually did appear later on I was mostly content to find it a really pretty looking and generally relaxing film.
@Aidan: =< Sorry that anon post was me, was using the work computer and didn't log in.
@Anon, don't do that. Don't hint at future events and just let people see for themselves.
The glasses teacher in scum's wish will have an interesting moment to look out for in the coming episodes, I read on in the manga. Only one chapter left.
*ED instead of OD
@anon928813: usually they will release the music separately from the DVD/Blurays. I believed the OP had released last year, and according to their website the OD gonna release in 5th of April
Does anyone know the release date for Zaregoto's OST? Is it bundled with one of the BDs?
Y'know I'd like to see this Akane-sensei girl attempt to seduce me and just watch her fail at trying to do so.
My guess is that Miura will do another 6 or so chapter run then put it down for another while.
Im so happy Berserk Manga is starting up again, but im curious for how long. I remember sitting through that boat. I was there for all 7 years of it. Im like a hiatus vet now
Pretty much in agreement on titan where after what the first season covers I've pretty much been waiting for it to get back on track before I bother to get back to it.
I should be catching up and sangatsu and acca.
I never saw kekkai sensens first season so there's little chance of me watching the sequel.
Berserk and Natsume I'll just stick with the manga. I don't know about Bahamut, it took me a few episodes to get into before it became fun, but then the ending was disappointing, again maybe there's room for improvement in season 2.
I would hope that eccentric families second season would be able to live up to the potential of building on the first. However it's been a while since I've seen season one, might need to refresh myself.
For the Spring season, it is a season of sequels. From sequels alone, I'll follow Berserk, Eccentric Family, BBB, My Hero Academia, Attack on Titan, Natsume (is it the last season?), How to Raise a Boring girlfriend. I dropped Shingeki no Bahamut after 3 episodes, but might pick it up again before the new season begin.
Before that, Utena and Haruhi.
Gotta love the extend a passionate fan would go. The last time I felt passionate about something anime-wise was Monogatari as there was a period of several months that I watched nothing but that series, and rewatched and rewatched. It just clicked with me personally at that stage of my life.
At this point, ill watch/read anything with Berserk on it. I already own all of the original print runs of the Manga. If I had the money, I would buy everything else.
@Lenlo: I'll be on the same boat with you regarding Berserk. I know I CAN ENDURE it (finger crossed)
Man, your season preview reminded me I soon have to watch another season of CGI Berserk. Im not going to like it, but its a trial I must go through as a hardcore Berserk fan.
Im glad they didnt lose the funny robots in their pursuit of the Grimdark
That flute into Skatman-like singing was great
@Lenlo, I had the biggest smile when Jack destroyed the robots flute and he started singing with his mouth. Looking at clips of the show on youtube I don't think I appreciated just how funny this show was. Also digging Jacks PTSD and the daughters of Aku.
Dude has problems and I loved the singing robot
Have to say, enjoyed seeing Jack again.
Thanks Aidan! Cant wait to watch it tonight
Well I suppose it is moreso samurai Jack wasn't really a large part of my childhood.
Don't know how it is for security but I never really had trouble with it.
Love me some Samurai Jack though
It may just be Malwarebytes actin up. Ill look into it and if its a false flag check it out.
I never really had any opinion of samurai Jack when it was airing.
Oh I'm enthusiastic about Kino season 2, but I want to be cautiously optimistic just in case.
But has anyone read on in the Kino novels to confirm that a second season would have good material to work with, would it fall prey to the light novel curse that apparently many of then weaken by the third volume?
The only issue I've found with kiss is that, in firefox at least, sometimes it slows down my browser but only now and then. Never had any trouble with viruses or mal/spyware on it. Though it won't allow adblock =<
@Aidan: I was surprised at Kino's Journey news as well. Yay for having a new season!!

Little Witch Academia – 11[Blue Moon]

I don’t mind the lighthearted shenanigans of Little Witch Academia but in my opinion it’s episodes like this that will truly make the show memorable. After ten episodes of mere hints as to the state of magic and it’s history we get a truckload of answers. Why is magic being considered antiquated? Because magic is […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 24

When I started this season of Rakugo I was under the impression that this would be Konatsu’s and Yotaro’s story seeing as Yakumo’s had reached it’s end. However to my dismay it appeared that halfway through the season Yakumo has hijacked the series. I previously stated that the story of Rakugo has already ended with […]

Saga of Tanya the Evil – 10[Path to Victory]

What am I to say when the majority of the episode is detailing a military operation? I admit that content has become spare in this series as of late and the Tanya vs God battle has more or less been pushed to the sideline. Tanya had one moment here where it looked like her mission […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. – 11 [Furawau’s Flowers Smell of Malice]

Really ACCA? Only one episode left and you’re still in set-up stage, with the coup is lingering in the air, but never comes in real form. In fact, ACCA is a series about setting up. Its deliberate pacing can really test the viewer’s’ patience, and I totally understand if most of you have fallen out […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 22 [New School Term – Fighter]

We get to an end of 3-gatsu run but it feels more like a new beginning. Like what I feared last week the last episode doesn’t really have a conclusive ending, instead offers us the new semester of Rei and his childhood and his shogi, which in all fairness are the weaker parts of 3-gatsu. […]

Scum’s Wish – 10 [Fragile and Empty]

This week the main spotlight is heading back to our beloved Akane and two of her relationships preys, Mugi and Narumi. Although I really like the way the show addresses each of those tainted relationships until finally we’d get to the bare bone of Mugi and Hanabi’s core relationship, this episode for me is just […]

Little Witch Academia – 10[Bee Commotion]

I remember seeing a remark someone made that Little Witch Academia would lose half it’s fanbase when the realize that they don’t like Saturday morning cartoons all that much. While most likely said in jest, I find there is a certain degree of truth in that statement. I did enjoy this episode of Little Witch […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 23

The extended epilogue continues as Yakumo returns home after the theatre burns down. Some are signifying the burning down of the theatre as the death of Rakugo while others are speaking of it as a new beginning. After all Rakugo can be performed anywhere as long as someone is willing to listen. The members of […]

Saga of Tanya the Evil – 09[Preparations for Advance]

A calm before the storm episode as the war with the Republic draws close to its climax. It’s nice to see the episode start off with Tanya trying to rationalize her actions in the previous episode. What may not be apparent from the anime is that Viktoriya has a tendency of coming up with reasons […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100