Posted by psgels on 17 April 2010 with categories: Katanagatari

The big potential pitfall for this series was becoming too formulaic. You know, having every episode consist out of talking that leads up to a fight between Shichika and whoever holds the next of the twelve swords, in which we get to see the story of that swordsman examined. So what does this episode do? It just skips all of this in order to focus on something completely different. Nice. I love it when shows pull twists like that.

And on top of that, this episode was surprisingly intense. This episode completely reversed the parts of good and evil in this series. While Katanagatari wasn’t exactly a battle between good and evil to begin with, there always was a clear side of protagonists: Togame and Shichika, while the antagonists were also pretty well defined. This episode however… wow. Shichika’s sister is evil.

At first sight it seems a bit boring to have three random maniwani try to attack her, but this is really one of those cases in which the creators’ decision to go with double-length episodes pay off. If this had to be condensed into 20 minutes it would have just failed, but with forty minutes we really could get to know these guys beyond the shallow appearances that the maniwani had made thus far in this series. On top of that, Nanami’s monologues were really intense to watch in the way that she completely killed off the first people she was able to talk to since years, aside from her brother and Togame. It made for a very slow-paced episode though. This episode might actually have the most dialogue out of any Katanagatari episodes yet. Ah, those poor subbers.

Overall it was one of the best episodes so far, however it did seem that a part of the animators was on some sort of holiday or something. There was an unusual amount of still frames and extreme close-ups that were shot so that the creators wouldn’t have to animate the characters’ mouths. Thankfully it was nowhere near as bad as with Bakemonogatari, but it still stood out. With these series that show a lot of long monologues, it’s of course no problem if you cut away to a few photos and pictures to illustrate your point or show the surroundings, but there is a thing as overdoing it, and this episode felt to me like it was cutting a few too many corners.
Rating: ** (Excellent)

1. m says:

I’m still at a loss to explain what this show has done to my brain, because I was initially unimpressed by the visual style, but now find myself quite liking it. I don’t care for the male character designs all that much, but the backgrounds and the female designs are appealing. There’s a certain animated storybook quality to it. Every month I think, “Wow, this series looks better than I remembered.”

I think Migiri is my favorite character. There isn’t much new about the gentle-voiced monster, but I still find her pretty funny. There’s also a certain amount of misdirection where the possibility of a cheesy intervention looms, only for another bout of sadistic invulnerability by our (my) heroine.

Listening to the cannon fodder talk was really taxing though. It has the same effect on me as listening to Duane Gish.

I didn’t think this episode was quite as slickly composed as the previous one, though. The previous episode was pretty polished while I thought this sagged a little. Though if one is to compare it to Bakemonogatari, it’s obvious this show benefits greatly from the absence of SHAFT.

2. PL says:

lol m, shaftbo would have made a mockery of this story. I’m very glad they went with a completely different studio, instead of just trying to latch on to the commercial success of bakemonogatari.
    I enjoyed this episode a lot; although I was kind of in a groove with the formula and wouldn’t have minded if all 12 eps had gone that route, this was a very interesting detour and leaves me wondering what subsequent episodes will choose to focus on.

3. chounokoe says:

I have to be one of the few people who does not enjoy this show that much, especially compared to the brilliantly executed Bakemonogatari (at least in terms of adaption).

Most of the time I fail to see the reason for it to be anime at all, because characters are mostly not moving at all and the designs of the world, apart from some costume, is rather bland.
    Bakemonogatari had the same initial problems with it’s setting, but at least Shaft spiced it up.

Still the positive fact remains that at least some of the useless chats of Shichika and Togame are shortened and I don’t have to work through 20-40 pages of recap each book.

I still hope most Nishio critics are wrong and this wasn’t the strongest story in Katanagatari…but I fear it will be, because next episode we will return to the same formula as before.
    Yes the episode was good and I liked Nanami very much, I would feel kinda dissappointed if she really turned out to be the most interesting character in the story.

4. nys says:

I liked this episode. Until the end. I can never predict what I`m going to like. But, for once, I did not fall asleep during a Shichika and Togame chat because I was on the edge of my seat over what (evil things) Nanami was gonna do to the maniwani. We didn`t know anything about her skill before, but this episode introduced her again really well.

5. K.K. says:

Love how she automatically nicknames them “Maniwani” as well. Like brother like sister, I guess.

Sabi Hakuhei really got shafted though. I kept expecting them to reveal that the next episode was going to be about him, since he’s supposed to be THE mega-baddy in the show. Still, that was one (probably) amazing fight, huh…?

6. Bruce says:

Haha, I like how they even animated parts of that fight in the previews. Very disappointed with the fact that we didn’t see that, but that made the ending conversation that much funnier.

@chounokoe: IMO shaft did those things even worse, what with all the black/red screens, close-eye shots, and the parts where they were literally just show text on the screen.

7. chounokoe says:

@Bruce: Well I think that depends on what you’d expect from a visual presentation.
    For me there is not much there in Katanagatari to look at, most screens are almost stillframes for some minutes, they could as well have made it a Drama-CD with some illustrations.

That’s the problem when a studio adapts something that largely consists of conversation. And Katanagatari’s visual novelity quickly wears off, as backgrounds are mostly rather bland and costumes…well they work for the first minutes.
    Bakemonogatari would have become boring quite quickly if characters would have just stood there and talked.

I don’t know if you watch it with subtitles, but I think that’s still a little different, because there’s something else on screen you have to concentrate about.
    But well…maybe it’s only me.

8. PL says:

Personally, I find Katanagatari one of the most visually appealing things I’ve seen in ages. I love the backgrounds, character designs and costumes. Yeah, it’s a lot of dialogue, but it’s more enjoyable animated, and the fights are lots of fun to watch. But, I’ve been a pretty hardcore defender/fanboy of this series from episode 1 so I’m not objective, for sure. Then again, fans of bakemonogatari are unlikely to be objective either, because the art and style has been taken in a very different direction. This is one of the best things airing, though, and that’s an objective statement of fact ;P j/k

9. chounokoe says:

Haha, yeah it’s always difficult to set the fanboy google totally aside when talking about an anime. I think it’s impossible to ever be fully objective. XD
    Well I like Take’s art, so of course the character design and costumes are neat, but as with Bakemonogatari there is not that much background in the first place, because Nishio doesn’t go into that much detail concerning places.
    The amount of dialogue is okay and I think Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei will be even harder on the subbers as an anime (just finished reading the novel), but I think the content isn’t that interesting and it often shows that he just HAD to come up with something to fill those 200-300 pages. There’s just better works by him…Bakemonogatari was okay, Zaregoto seems to be great, but I haven’t read any real novels by him.

10. Michael says:

I continue to be pleased by the use of irony in this series. The creators/writer of the show really know how to take audience expectations and completely reverse. I almost never see this in a series. But this is the 2nd episode the creators have done this, the 1st being when Shichika showed absolutely no remorse killing his opponent in episode 3, when the entire episode was dedicated to fleshing out her sympathetic character. I will always like shows like this, that force you to reconsider right/wrong and completely and utterly surprise you.

11. Nomus says:

I have most complex feelings towards this series. It has a lot of unexpected turns and good dialogs, but how I hate main characters. Really, after 3rd ep I started to think that Shichika is just a merciless killer. But now it’s obvious, that all of their bloodline are insane maniacs, who were sent to that island for a good reason.

And Togame is not much better. Slaughtering everyone with Shichika for her own revenge. I know, they betrayed her, but all the sword-owners they killed had some good reason in their life (in spite of that poisoning she’s been blabbering about). And she… At this point I can’t imagine her doing something good with those swords. And, in addition, she’s not the brightest one.

12. Gunslinger says:

Aaaaaaah , based on last episode’s preview i really wanted to see the hakuto hari fight. hope they fit it in another episode :(

13. Matt says:

ooh i liked this episode alot. I like the humanization of the maniwani characters. I find the sister to be scary. I have no clue but i feel like it might be brother versus sister at the end. I love the dialogue in this series, very enjoyable.

14. PL says:

All the stuff about ripping out his fingernails, and disciplining him for not collecting the swords fast enough WAS very creepy. You can tell she was warped really badly by her father not choosing to train her. It is interesting to me that despite having very little in the sense of an adult’s conscience, shichika has an essentially good nature while naname is obviously quite dark and twisted.

15. tomtom says:

I can’t understand so many people are indifferent towards this series. Witty, great art, long episodes. I actually like the simple plot in this series, it reminds me of those western and samurai movies in which the mental and perceptive side of the battles are the central story element.
    Its clear that Nanami at least as crazy in the head as her brother after this episode but on the other hand Im not so convinced she is pure evil (you cant really expect two siblings who spent their entire youth on an island training in solitude to develop a ‘normal’ grasp of morality after all).

16. PhantomX says:

PL, I don’t think she was warped by her father at all. It’s mostly a byproduct of her body being rattled with excruciating disease coupled with her natural instincts fighting off her death (which she used to wish for).

17. Reltair says:

Shichika’s sister really means serious business. I sense an impending fight between her brother and herself.

18. Alec says:

Nanami isnt evil… her methods are just twisted. I her bro is also like that… She a “dont u ******* mess with me, or ur gonna get IT” person xD…

Is it possible to be self aware of your lack of self awareness?
Seiren is worse than I've hoped, but I still want to finish it, along with Demi-chan and Dragon maid
Onihei I will give it another episode but the episodic nature doesn't grab me as much anymore. I will follow Hand Shakers because for Christsake it's just something else
I enjoyed Akiba's trip (still fun to see an anime that inspired by other anime and appeal to anime fans only), Masamune-kun no Revenge (2nd episode wasn't good but the 3rd was alright), Urara and Gabriel Dropout but that's the end of my trip on them
Okay, since we reached the 3rd episodes (man, don't tell me we already passed a quarter of this season already), I'll give you a bit of recap on what I've been following this season:
Guess we can put that down as one of the most important things a critic needs. Self Awareness.
@Anon, I won't deny having an inflated sense of worth but Nostalgia blindness? You are reaching man.
Just like you :)
Anyway I never heard of this guy and he seems like the usually case of Nostalgia blindness and inflated sense of worth. Nothing really worth concerning ourselves about.
"How can I be pretentious when I mean everything I say?" Oh silly silly fool. Being an idiot doesn't mean you can't be pretentious.
I bring him up because I feel he'd be more controversial than Tenka seiha/aroduc or digibro.
Roriconfan/thatanimesnob/Peter Malousis: [link src="https://www.youtube.com/user/ThatAnimeSnob
I don't know who would that be either Kaiser? A V-blogger?
Who?
We talk about digibro on here, yet we never talk about Rorico.
I agree
Shitcunt is the greatest anime villain of all time. End of argument.
Best villain was clearly JJ. JJ is actually the best character for every category.
@SuperMario, I just felt there was some social context to the discussion with the boss that I missed.
Bah, haven't you heard, the best villain category was for the dictionary in Lost passage, must have been bastard-hard effort getting that compiled =P
To sum that up, don't bully my waifu or I will end you.
@Mario, She only killed him once and tortured him for information once. Both times because he had something which showed he had a connection to the witch. Besides, the anime mainly showed off her good points but she still has a crushing inferiority complex and a rather delicate mindset.
Oh I have one. How about Lovepon? lol
@Topgavin: it was sarcasm actually, if we do it again next year we might cut down some categories. But I totally agree that we're lacking of good villains. Biba and that teacher are the worst as they actually dragged their shows down.
Honestly though there's been a real lacking of good villains last year. I hear some guy from Jojo was pretty good, but other than that they've either been okay or lackluster. Makes you wonder how FMA:B managed to get so many villians right in so many ways when shows usually fail to get even 1 half as good.
@Supermario Biba or Teacher-dude from Erased surely...
Maybe we should include the best villain next time, haha. I honestly don't know who to pick...
oh Rem, that demon girl who tried to kill Subaru many times over. Why is she the best girl again?
@Kaiser: I watched Moonlight last night in cinema and it was great. I had high expectation for that and it pretty much delivered. Also Janelle Monae was so freaking hot.
OMG, that 3rd episode of Rakugo was so greattttt. @Lenlo: don't need to understand the meaning of the rant thou, Yotaro doesn't understand either
Think of the fine children/breeding stock Aidan and rem would offspring =P
Dye their hair, make things confusing ;)
@Anon, hahahaha, cool joke bro.....
...............................Don't make me destroy you.
The one with red hair of course
rem? who's that?
Having read the books, theres afew inconsistencies and I dont like some of the choices for actors.
*couldn't
Buh buh but Aiiiidan you still have the koe no katachi movie and thaaats kyoani =P But lol phantom world was so poor I couldn't get past the second episode. A shame that they could go with the darker spin the author ended up apparently going for in later volumes.
@Lenlo, I am currently eh on it as well. Only at the second episode so far. I find it interesting but it has a lot of things that turn me off.
7 YEARS I SAT ON THAT BOAT!

Still havnt finished Flip Flappers. I like it, its pretty, each episode is different, but I can barely tell what the over-arching narrative is and thats a big deal to me
ITS REAL
BOAT TIER
@Aidan, Series of Unfortunate Events was eh. I wasnt a big fan of the TV adaptation, though I did like Neil Patrick Harris
@Lenlo: BOAT TIER lmao.
Thats why I LOVED flippflappers so much, where else can I get THAT anywhere, totally its own thing/beast.
My big ones for the year were easily Rakugo and Re:Zero. Disappointments, biggest one is Berserk. Ive been following it for years, have the entire series on my shelf, and I watched it like a captain going down with his ship
At the same time well, yes its still good to see a non-highschool story in ANYTHING.
Ah, you see I don't really award points to an anime doing something unique to anime, I judge by all mediums as a group/whole. 91 days may be a mafia drama, kabaneri may be a zombie show but theres already plenty of those in the world elsewhere.
I could see myself getting some oldskool charm out of alderman if I watched it. I was waiting for yuri on ice to be dubbed. Drifters for all its problems was some of the most fun I've had in ages.
The only thing I saw that I truly abhorred though was the new shinkai film.
Most of the other stuff I didn't really bother watching. Its pointless for me to shit on about 91 days and re:zero because I was guaranteed to dislike both before seeing either.
Biggest disappointments for me were erased , berserk and joker game. Whereas my surprise was lost passage. My favourites of the year were flippflappers and Rakugo. I wanted Kabaneri and dimesion w to save anime and bring back some oldskool charm but that didn't happen.
Alright I spent over an hour formatting this thing and now I am knackered. Readers, this summery is over 23 pages long so be prepared as this thing is pretty huge. Don't say you were not warned.
@Kaiser, Watch it. I bet it will be up your alley.
Thats a problem with adaptations, put a voice on certain characters and it can become irritating.
And to be fair on scums wish, that it deals with the sex bit in a teen story, well that makes it more daring and thats points for it.
@Aidan: Largely stayed away from that series as I assumed it was for young children.
@Aidan: Additionally the relationships in that manga got too convoluted, the comedy stands out worse in the anime too. Still though I DO dig the idea behind the show of two kids who are in a fake relationship.
@Kaiser, you think that's hard to watch try watching Netflix's A series of unfortunate events. Because boy do I want to brutally murder the banker and his family. That may sound severe to you but trust me, you will feel likewise.
@Aidan: You were right about it being harder to watch scums wish than read it. I want to hit the twin tails girl with a hatchet.
I'm laughing now remembering an old ANN review where they stated golgo 13 was a stress reliever for 30 something Japanese office workers, I get that so much more now lol
But seriously violence in fiction, anime/manga included is so damn therapeutic.
As such I genuinely was able to enjoy the new M night shaylman flick lol
Venting here largely because I can, I now imagine the teenage/twenty something audience members at horror/thriller films as the victims in the films, makes it more tolerable to deal with their existence in the cinema.
I cant help but feel theres some cultural aspect I am missing to the Rakugo rant scene. Makes me sad.
Rakugo, continues to be great and gets another time skip. Im always surprised by how engrossing it is just listening to these people talk.
Makes me sad, just like Berserk. Got an entire shelf dedicated to it but its just so slow. stupid boat.
Vagabond was phenomenal, but its been on hiatus for years now hasnt it
....well without spoiling towards the middle of that rakugo episode and all throughout during that middle part, my opinion on Yotaro's character went far up.
Struggling to remember the name of that josei samurai manga from the 90s (or earlier 2000s), had a gender bending theme.
I've already read kenshin and vagabond, I loved shigurui death frenzy and sword of the stranger but found samurai champloo uneven. Theres a kagemusha manga but I haven't read it and I've yet to see/read blade of the immortal.
At a glance I'll go against the grain and say I think demi-chan is funnier than konosuba, going on one episode of each.
I've been watching a fare share of samurai films in the last two years and lately so I'm open to wathing more anime/reading manga dealing with samurai.
Hand Shakers, how I love to watch it jumping off the cliff. This show contains lines like "I don't understand... even if I did understand... but I don't understand." It isn't a dialogue that we encounter too often I'm sure.
@Mario, Sounds good to me. With me covering Little Witch Academia, Saga of Tanya the evil and Rakugo this season is well covered.
so I've decided to blog 3-gatsu, Scum's Wish and ACCA this season. A bit worry about the latter as I still don't have much to talk about that. Let's try it and see what happens; I say
Okay, I'm not hot on Onihei this week, as if the main theme about these two episodes were "people can be corrupted" then I'm not buying it. ACCA, on the other hand, was still very solid of building up the world and its big events to come.
I have played all the big roguelikes and found they have the same problem. I argee on procedural generation. Even if the map is different every time you are essentailly going through the same rooms and doing the same things.
Though to be honest, I don't like procedural(or designed room and then game connects them randomly) games much. I much enjoy hand designed dungeons since I rarely play games through more than once anyway so roguelike's appeal of "Every time you play it through its different!" doesn't appeal to me much and hand designed dungeons are much more memorable
Can't really comment further on that since I don't know which roguelikes you have played, and neither I have played gungeon so I don't know if its badly designed to the point you can't do anything if rng says so. Though I guess there is nothing wrong about liking luck based games, if roguelike in question is truly unbeatable if rng says so, well, its really badly designed one if you ask me.
Take my last run. Made it up to the fourth floor. Got plenty of guns but none were really useful. Even then ran out of ammo for all of them and the game was cheap about giving out ammo. Plenty of money but shops with nothing worth buying. Over 5 heart containers but no goddamn health. Died on the boss because I rolled out of a bullet into another bullet. Pretty much unavoidable.
@Masky, that's the theory but in pretty much every roguelike I played its not the case. If the RNG decides you are going to have a bad time then you are going to have a bad time. Skill can only bring you so far. I have played this game for 7 hours and I know I could have finished it in 2. Only thing stopping me is a dice roll.
Like, the thing with roguelikes is that they can get easier/harder depending on luck, but well done one should be completable even without any upgrades at all if you are skilled enough.
Thats not the really case with roguelikes though, unless game design is bad and includes insta kill traps and such that are unavoidable if you are unlucky
I hate roguelikes. Been playing enter the Gungeon and I just lost all patience with it. Getting real tired of my victory being decided by a RNG. It never feels satisfying to finish a roguelike because I know my victory was determined by pure luck.
So we got to rely on fansubs for it when it's airing.
@Mario, Nope. I think because netflix only puts up full seasons they are only planning to put it up when it's finished airing. Or when it's dubbed.
But how does the Netflix thing work? So of I have a Netflix account I can watch the show weekly?
@Aidan: that's a dumb way to do things really because unless you watch the show weekly, everyone gonna forget that it even exist. Just look at Re-Life last year
thought*. Words are hard.

Eventually found the actual first ep though and enjoyed it.
Was funny. I tried to find the first Ep for Little Witch, found original short made afew years ago, watched it and though "This is very similar to the original... Whats new".
Little witch is one of the best shows this season and yet I can't get subtitles because Netflix doesn't release shows weekly. Motherf*cker.
Ore Monogatari I enjoyed. It was a nice romance that actually explored what happens after the confession. Also the 2 leads are just precious.
Alright but unmemorable seems like a good summation.
@Lenlo: one good thing about Seiren is if you don't like this romance, the whole thing gonna reset after episode 4 so there's a chance that you might end up like it. Agreed that the comedy wasn't very good. Alright but unmemorable
@Topgavin: I watched like first 3 episodes and stopped because I didn't have much time there, but I enjoyed what I saw. A well-written and endearing show in my book
Has anyone here watched Ore Monogatari before? Because in the 4 years I've watched anime, I've never heard of it (I guess it did come out 2 years ago) and yet it's turning out to be one of my favorite shows. Always great going into a show expecting nothing and getting pleasantly surprised.
Only one more impression to go. Should have it up tomorrow.
Im really not feeling Seiren. Its "comedy" isnt for me and I just dont find it very enjoyable to watch so far. Im curious if it gets any better but 2 episodes in it just isnt that good.
HelghastKillzone
That ending scene is an entire side-story compressed into that. Don't expect anymore of it from here on out as the it sticks to ruthless military/fantasy pretty well.
LookingForKeys
@Topgavin I think it was good, making it the second episode. That way the first set up the world the story will be in, and showed how much of a monster the "little girl" really is right at the end, and then made ep.2 the explanation. Nothing against Tanya trying to rip "God" a new one.
That after-credits scene, though...
Hmm, as much as I like Seiren's omnibus format, it doesn't turn out really hot this second episode. Demi-chan, on the other hand, still maintains its endearing tone. Might blogging Demi-chan instead
Yeah, that second episode was much better than the first. Dunno why they didn't start with that to be honest, waste of an opportunity for a good hook episode. The voice for the main girl still sounds weird to me though; I get it's supposed to sound weird because it symbolizes 'her' being out of place and her personality and body being a mismatch, but it'll certainly take some getting used to.
Youjo Senki, now we are talking. Like Helghast said, Did the god scene way better than the LN and manga. Made it less comedic and more intimidating.
Oh man that Rakugo intro. Not sure what to think, but first time seeing it I liked it
I sort of like good will hunting because I kind of saw a bit of myself in Damon's character when I watched it ages ago.
@Mario: Remaking psycho and ruining the shower scene, for shame van sant, for shame.
Its easy to ripoff some obscure thing though and get away with it. The dogtooth director essentially stole an old Mexican film to make that.
@Kaiser: yeah, that following some guys from behind like they were on a RPG games, which I think actually fit with the tones of Elephant. I have such mixed feeling with Gus van Sant too. Don't really think he's a great director.
@Mario: Although Istvan Szabo is probably a little more well known for that Mephisto film that updates the Faust story. Zoltan Fabri's the fifth seal is a very thought provoking war movie.
@Mario: I remember seeing a film documentary that featured Gus van sant in one section, they showed clips of tarrs films, Sant ripped of the cinematography and stole the style from some British short film to make Elephant.
@Kaiser: agree on the other Hungarian filmmakers, I don't know much about them either.
@Mario: Scorsese's Silence was a big comeback. I really really emotionally connect with spiritual crisis stories.
@kaiser: yep, definitely check wreckmeister down. Althought I admit that watching his 2-hour plus films will feel like 5-hour anyways
@Mario: I'm more tolerant of darker teenage/coming of age films/stories. Les Demons was a big surprise.
@Mario: Though its kind of frustrating, I do think Tarr probably takes attention away from other hungarian filmakers because no-body knows who the hell the others are.
@Mario: Man, wreckmeister was so visually arresting I started getting dreams from it.
@Mario: I would consider Tarr to be kind of a poor mans Janco, Angelopolus and Tarkvosky rolled into one. I don't entirely "get" wreckmeister and man from London but they are great atmospheric mood piece experiences.
@Kaiser: I had been wanting to watch Belar Tarr's Turin Horse and Werckmeister Harmonies for so long now. Well, Fat Girl is shocking haha, but I'm normally drawn into those kind of films anyway.
@Kaiser: Margaret took like 5,6 years to release because he couldn't cut it down in the way he wanted. The final cut if I remembered correctly was edited by Martin Scorsese
@Mario: Only a HDcam for moonlight now.
I looks like my lineup is witch academia, rakugo and youjo senki, well the most latter one until I get bored.
@Mario: I sense a directors cut for manchester, it feels like it need another 30 minutes.
@Kaiser: right up my valley. Watch Kenneth Lonergan's previous works Magaret and You Can Count on Me. Magaret is very messy but have a raw dialogue and interactions as well
Now the first episodes are over, I will keep on covering 3-gatsu, as for the other twos atm I have 3 options: 1) full romance/anti-romance high school Seiren/Scum's Wish. 2) slice-of-life moe monster girls Demi-chan/Maid Dragon and 3) Mature,dark Onihen/Acca (which although I like them I don't have much to talk about).If you guys have any preference on which shows you like covered then let me know
@Helghast: At this point I'm watching youjo senki as an entertaining guilty pleasure.
@Mario: Too many reboots upcoming, will wait for the dvds instead. I want to explore more of manchester by the sea's director's work. I also want to finally get more into Bela Tarr's stuff.
@Mario: I was rather shocked by A Ma souer/fat girls final act. Scenes with the Italian in the bedroom were initially creepy.
@Kaiser: it's a nice review Kaiser, a bit jealous with you that you've seen those 3 films which are touted as the best films of 2016. Also Fat Girl, haha, I love that movie.
Poor yotaro =< you have so much stuff going down on you =<
HelghastKillzone
Youjo Senki episode was so good today. That revamped scene with God just fitted so right.
A official release of that game in the west is apparently coming but it's been a few years and not much news about it.
@Aidan: Ah yes that was the one.
@Kaiser, Had to think for a moment on that one but I think I was talking about this. https://vndb.org/v3144
Now I'd hardly consider myself a studio trigger fan, but I watched the first witch academia episode there, it was actually kind of fun, got the same reaction from me as flipflappers did, that magical, special feeling.
@Mario: I also, of interest reviewed Kenneth Lonegrans new film: http://letterboxd.com/shao_liu_ringon/film/manchester-by-the-sea/
@Mario: Moonlight got some feels out of me though it could of been more, it ends abruptly and with 20 extra minutes they could have spent a bit more time on each section of his life.
@Mario: I checked out lala land, ending was very well executed, one of three scenes in the film that were impressive visually. The whole thing looked pretty and Gosling and Stone had some decent chemistry. Although it didn't resonate emotionally as strongly as the musicals of Jacques Demi did.
MOM I want aiyoku no eustia and I want it now.
I've never heard of himawari or tokyo babel. The hellsing comparison at least interests me in dies irae. What was the name of that visual novel again that was coming out soon, Aidan you described it as "And Kaiser would love it because its supposed to be really fucked up".
I vaguely remember the anime for 11 eyes, it was very forgettable, even the voice acting was poor, hated the childhood friends and the pacing was poor, those black knight things were kind of interesting though.
@Aidan: You'll have to add me onto the list of those unsatisfied with the ever 17 writer, I read one of those games and felt it was a bunch of interesting bait that never paid off.
Anyway I plan on doing a review of 11eyes here when I finish it.
Can't say I was a fan of Ever17. That was a really good twist but when it came to explaining it their was a lot of contrived development. Generally not a fan of the writer. Looseboy, Ryukishi, Gen and Nasu are more my kinda thing
@Anon, it is nice that so many VNs are on steam but I wish they wouldn't be stupid with the whole no adult content thing. Not so much for myself but to prevent idiots from writing negitives reviews because the game doesn't have sex. VNs can grip you in a way anime simply can't and while they require pathence and time those can be some pretty powerful stories.
@Aidan, I am so happy steam's so VN-friendly now. I think it's a very good type of media. Like anime, it has nice visuals, music and some movement but also the inner monologue and text amount of books. It's the perfect combination. Plus, the routes, which are often puzzle pieces and PoVs you have to go through to understand the whole story. True routes like the one of Ever17 blew my mind.
Hopefully the two VNs I bought of steam turn out better. Tokyo Babel is supposed to be alright and I heard really good things about Himawari.
I am about a third of the way through the game and really not much of worth has happened. The concept is interesting but the execution is sorely lacking.

Scum’s Wish – 02 [I’m here for that warmth]

Welcome to the roller coaster of the emotional manipulative anime of this season, are you with me on this ride? Scum’s Wish has the exact opposite issues with ACCA in that it tries to overwhelm us with lots of raw feelings that sometime it touches the line of manipulation. This episode, fortunately, still pretty much […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. – 02 [The Partner in Crime’s Name is Nino]

I admit that although I think ACCA is one the most solid show this season and I in particular like how they set up the settings and the events to come, the first two episodes didn’t grab me that much personally. As a result, in prepare for this post, I went ahead and watching them […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 15

It was inevitable that Yotaro’s past with the Yakuza would come back to haunt him but boy did it really bite him in the ass. I was wondering as to how the show would work with Yotaro and give him conflict but then this episode comes along and gives him plenty to worry about. He’s […]

Little Witch Academia – 02[Pappiliodya]

I may regret choosing to cover this series as what makes it great is a quality that cannot really be held up to professional scrutiny. Much like Triggers other works, it’s not what’s being presented that matter but rather how it’s presented. You can make the argument that Trigger doesn’t necessarily innovative but rather take […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 13 [Black River (part 2) – Beyond the Door]

This week we have 2 disjoined chapters, which are different in tones and more importantly in their point of view. We go through the first section from Smith-san perspective detailing his own thoughts towards the match against Gotou, and the latter part Rei took the stage, being on his way to challenge Gotou in next […]

Saga of Tanya the Evil – 02[Prologue]

As I initially thought, this series becomes a whole lot better when you can see the disparity between the main protagonists thoughts and how those around her view them. The first episode jumped ahead in the story to where Tanya had established herself somewhat and I believe the intent was to mislead the audience with […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2, Chaos;Child, Marginal#4 KISS Kara Tsukuru Big Bang and Scums Wish

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2 Short Synopsis: Kazama stands trial after accidentally blowing up a lord’s manor while saving the town. This show certainly hasn’t lost it’s charm. I had the biggest smile on my face while watching and it even managed to get me laughing out loud at points. I will admit […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Onihei, Gabriel DropOut and ACCA – 13-ku Kansatsu-ka

Onihei Short Synopsis: A captured thief joins the police to hunt down his old leader. For a studio’s first work this is quite a solid offering. The beginning reminded me of samurai champloo though this seems more a traditional samurai story. Animation isn’t anything too impressive but it does the job and there is some […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Hand Shakers, Kemono Friends and Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon

Hand Shakers Short Synopsis: A boy holds the hand of a girl he finds in a hospital room and ends up in a supernatural battle to the death. GoHands, you know what would be great? If you know, instead of slapping on lens flares and colour filters all over the place, you just don’t do […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100