Posted by psgels on 27 May 2010 with categories: Durarara

I’ve said before that this isn’t the sort of climax I like. You know, the kind where characters just refuse to talk to each other, which is something that could make things a lot easier. With Anri… it’s still somewhat understandable: she doesn’t know about Mikado, and instead she’s just worried about being rejected as a monster, that’s fine. But in this episode Kida finds out that Mikado is the leader of the Dollars, and also remains silent. *headdesk* It also doesn’t help that Mikado still keeps listening to Izaya and that the rest of the Dollars are running around beyond his control.

There’s a line between flawed and just downright annoying here, and Kida… unfortunately is constantly hopping over that line. His angst has just been a bit too much for me… I can see that he’s had quite a past, but he doesn’t quite feel like such a dynamic character; my impression of him is that he’s either angsty or hyperactively hiding his angst, with hardly anything else. Anri on the other hand is getting more and more interesting now that we’ve gotten to know her, and Mikado already was interesting… though he’s gotten way too little airtime during the past episodes. I want to see some more scenes of him, trying to keep the Dollars under control. The two of them have a bunch of different sides now, but surprisingly there are just too many characters that are just… too one sided. This also includes Simon (who seems like he always talks about how good Sushi is) and Izaya (who seems to be a professional troll or something: do we see him do anything else?).

At this point though, I’m not yet sure whether I should criticize this show for having an annoying plot on purpose: it’s clear that the creators put a lot of thought into having things escalate like this, and Izaya’s trolling is making sure that everyone keeps doubting each other. But I’m just not enjoying this show like I hoped I would at the end of the first half of this show. It’s not bad or anything near that, but at the same I consider the second half as inferior to the first half of this show.

It’s also a bit of a shame that the animation budget still hasn’t recovered here. There are a few scenes with smooth animation, but none of them last longer than half a second, and on top of that there are a ton of distorted or rushed frames. That’s something you wouldn’t expect of Brains Base. I believe that this is the first series that they animate continuously for 24 episodes without breaks, and I guess that the toll of this becomes visible now.

Let me also talk a bit about the OP here, which have been… misleading to say the least. Consider the OP, which displays a bunch of characters who hardly made any appearance in this second half. I mean, why Shizuo’s brother? Why was there the need to include his brother? Heck, I actually thought that that Cop would make a big appearance, but aside from a cameos he’s also been pretty useless aside from giving Celty a strange quirk that feels a bit overdone. It’s another one of those “hey, we’re advertising to be like Baccano while we actually are completely different”-gimmicks of this series that caused me to expect the completely wrong kind of series here. I see that part of the fault lies with me for actually expecting this, but still…
Rating: * (Good)

1. chounokoe says:

I wouldn’t say that the fault lies with the viewer if the anime actually somehow promises something that it just cannot fullfill.

It’s not like your expectations came from something that wasn’t there.
    If you had expected, for example a deep and philosophical story from this author…okay, I would have called the idea blinded by too high expectations.

But I think they actually, like you said, tried too hard to promise the next Baccano here, when honestly it just isn’t.
    I don’t know if you know Boogiepop, but I imagined the atmosphere and direction to be much more like that…sans the gore.

2. Nellie says:

I believe the issue with Mikado is that he’s actually not the leader of Dollars, since it doesn’t have one, just the founder. Being the founder gives him some privileges, but he doesn’t outright control them.

3. Kim says:

Although I actually really like both Mikado & Kida (Anri I am not as big of a fan of but I don’t dislike her) I agree the whole conflict born out of misunderstandings is not high up on my favorite things either.

And not being like Baccano is perfectly fine but I do feel the director using a similar opening style mislead the audience a bit. There almost all the characters had a part to play. Here it is more centered on a select few.

4. Chan says:

I think that you really have to learn that there is a differentiation of what we the viewers know and what the characters know. You’re pretty much basing all of your judgment on what you as a viewer knows but not on what the characters themselves know. For instance Mikado is not aware of the fact that Izaya is a lying bastard, all he knows is that Izaya knows an informant who has a lot of knowledge of pretty much everyone in Ikebukuro, and is a Dollars member. He is not aware of precisely why Izaya should not be trusted yet.

In terms of Kida, he is now the leader of the Yellow Scarves and while he himself is hesitant about attacking the Dollars the same cannot be said about the other Yellow Scarves members. The Yellow Scarves are looking for revenge for their members who were attacked by the slashers, and they are currently pinning the blame on the Dollars. Plus like Celty had said to Mikado before there are many Yellow Scarves who are bitter about the Dollars becoming such a large and successful “gang” in their absence, they are just looking for a reason to start a fight with the Dollars. Kida knows this and you as the viewer were informed of this by Celty. Mikado being the leader of the Dollars puts Mikado in danger of being attacked by the Yellow Scarves, and it also puts Kida in a bit of a spot as he doesn’t want to hurt Mikado, so its not as if he angst comes from nowhere. Also if any of the Yellow Scarves found out about it they would probably kick Kida out of the Yellow Scarves, and right now Kida is the only reason why they haven’t killed anyone.

The Key to understanding this show is to actually pay attention to everything that a character says, especially if it was stated in the chat room.

5. reyan16 says:

i think the reason why you don’t quite like this section of this series is because they’re basing them off the novel. these are only two arcs out of how many? eight? and there’s actually much more to the characters than what meets the eyes. for example, anri being in charge of saika, or mikado being the leader of dollars. these all came as big suprises. therefore, all the other characters that made cameo scenes play a much larger role in the plot of the novel. Shizuo’s brother is huge in the fourth volume and Izaya does more stuff. there also comes an explanation about kida’s personality and how he doesn’t talk to mikado even after knowing the truth. (this is later explained by izaya) so i think there’s actually a lot of charm to this series.

6. Buddy Waters says:

What other people said; not talking to each other is normally just to make a plot work, but in this case, it largely makes sense that they wouldn’t. Not sure they’ve been as clear about that as the novels were; they’re not using the narration to make that clear because they’d prefer to not spell things out, but if you’re already backing away because you’ve had bad experiences with poorly done plots like this, it’s easy to overlook things.
    Why didn’t Kida talk to Mikado? The answer is right there, in the scene where that other Dollars guy comes over and talks to them. It’s given as a couple of reaction shots, but it is there.
    There are problems with the source material here, though — the novel definitely felt like it took him a few hundred pages to ease his characters into the places he needed them to be for the climax.

7. Roger says:

Okay, I have to say that you are upholding a ridiculous double standard here. On one side, you hold it against Mikado to trust Izaya too much, and on the other you hold it against Kida for not openly accusing Mikado of being the Dollars leader because IZAYA SAID SO? There’s no winning here.

I’m not entirely sure what you expect Mikado to do, make a thread on the Dollars message board that they need to calm down? As for the rest of you complaints, considering Kida a angsty character with nothing beyond that I don’t understand, he’s obviously in love with Saki as well as Anri, and isn’t afraid to come out for either of it, really. Don’t remember the last time I’ve seen a character that had that angle. Simon and Kinnosuke aren’t the main characters of this arc, but they are going to do some stuff in the finale.

Finally I don’t really know what you mean by Anri getting more interesting. We now know everything, and she can’t ever love lest she goes on a slicing spree, so no romantic development period, nor will she ever take up her sword on her own right, it being Kida she’s fighting. Kida himself is enough of a proactive character that knowing what he does about Mikado won’t put him in inaction. Anri I can’t say I’m expecting much of beyond this point.

I’ll agree with you on the Baccano issue though, the constant references to it are misleading. This does have centralised story as well as clear protoganists, and it seems to rely on character interaction more then the actual characters, as opposed to Baccano, great cast, had absolutely nothing to do with each other though.

8. Chan says:

I I’m going to add to what I said in my previous post. Though I’ve got to ask a question too. Do you know Japanese? Cause you posted a review of this episode before the subtitles even came out, and considering this is a series that is essentially 90% dialogue, and they basically explained what you complaining about in their conversations several times in fact. Not only that but Izaya claiming that Mikado is losing control of the Dollars is incorrect. Izaya just wants Mikado to think if he has control of the Dollars, but in truth the Dollars haven’t done anything to excite the Yellow Scarves.

9. psgels psgels says:

Chan: I’ve got to admit that my Japanese is indeed a bit rusty. I usually just watch an episode in whichever form it’s released at that point, so there are indeed a number of things that I end up getting wrong. However, I don’t think that those are major enough to really change my enjoyment of an episode significantly.

10. Roger says:

Well considering you’ve complained about Simo’s character at leat twice now, I will say this. As is explicietly stated in this episode, Simon’s english vocabulary is extremely limited. Don’t expect him to break out non-sushi related dialogue with anyone any time soon because while he is ten times as eloquet in Russian, Izaya’s the only one he can talk to in that language.

11. Chan says:

@pgsels
    You got a lot of things wrong actually, in the last couple of weeks since you started to only watching the raw. Several times in last couple of weeks you’ve actually missed out on several plot points. And yes what you’re missing out on is hindering you from enjoying the story considering that most of the complaints you’ve been having for the past couple of weeks have been things that were either explained in the very episode you where you were complaining. This is a show that is 90% dialogue, and not understanding or pay attention to said dialogue will inhibit your understanding of the show, and make your episode reviews look like a joke to anyone whose actually watched the episode and understood what was being said by the characters. I wouldn’t have responded to you if this was the first time you’ve make a grave error but this is the 7th time you’ve done it.

Moments like the one with Dr.Kishitani happen often. Characters in this series do have a habit of revealing some really important information in offhand conversations, especially Izaya.

12. pgal says:

The episodes have lately not been as interesting as the first arc and the lack of communication between the friends can get annoying. So far I can only understand Anri’s silence though I feel she will need to speak up eventually.

Durarara has a good animation team, they need to create a different style for this anime and move away from the Baccano style. It was fun at first but not anymore.

13. sage says:

how callow. no wonder nobody takes this blog seriously.

14. Pi says:

Actually, it would be out of character for Anri to speak up. I’m still not a fan of Anri. While I’m not fond of Kida’s arc in the anime, I console myself by telling myself that we won’t see a lot of Kida screening very soon.

Also, it was obvious throughout the episode that Kida did not want to start a fight with Dollars. Since Mikado behaved in ways that hinted Kida to act as if nothing happened makes Kida more hesitant to attack. He has a lot to bare of his shoulders, he feels responsible for making everyone he truly cares about happy (Saki, Anri and mostly Mikado, his precious friend). Kida most likely refused to talk about it because he didn’t want to place Mikado in a bad spot, so he tries to solve the problem without getting Mikado involved.

About Mikado, the reason why Dollars is so disorganized is because there is no leader in Dollars. Mikado is considered to be the founder of Dollars but not exactly the leader.

Either way, I expected the ‘revelation’ scene to be darker and more angst–just like in the novel. I guess the producers are have a hard time trying to make a transition from of first half of the anime.

15. Roger says:

Not sure why you feel it is out of character for Masaomi to not speak up. It was made crystal clear in episode 5, 19, 16 and 17: Anri and Masaomi are both completely dependant on their friends. Anri considers herself Masaomi and Mikado’s parasite and Masaomi consider his three main friends his life, or place in the world. Them going on to accuse the others of being rival gang leaders while they’re attending school happily (on the surface) would be OoC to me. Regardless of whether it’s a good plot, this conflict i the natural conclusion of Kida’s and Anri’s characters.

16. Maggie says:

If it makes you feel any better, there is a huge possibility that this anime will have a second season. There are like six or something light novels available right now (which you should read) and they could easily be meshed with the anime. I’m treating Durarara as the first half of this story, there are a lot of plots that they have not included yet, like Izaya’s past, Izaya’s sisters and other things involving Shizuo, Celty, Kadota, etc. So I’d calm down just a tad, though I highly agree with you about the first half of the series being superior to the second. But this IS how it happens, we just have to bear with Kida’s angst for now. Durarara has not failed to disappoint and entertain me, I am proud to call it one of my favorite animes of all time.

17. Roger says:

I dunno, in the later novels’ plot the Blue Squares are still around, alot of the plot is dependant on it. The anime right now is stating pretty black and white that they did with Izumii.

18. Jo says:

Sometimes I think Durarara!! is at it’s best when it doesn’t focus too much on its Dollars-Slashers-YellowScarves-BlueSquare plot. I mean, really. It’s interesting enough, but the second half so far, when compared to the first which hadn’t introduced the main plot to us feels less compelling. Or am I only feeling this way because of the compressed adaption?

Shoutbox

Name:
Email:
For:
Mail will not be published
  • Kaiser Eoghan
    (Friday, May 27. 2016 08:02 PM)
    @Maamoo: I suppose if you’re looking for a shoujo manga I’d recommend Black rose Alice, afterschool nightmare, Count cain(and its sequel Godchild), angel sanctuary.
  • Kaiser Eoghan
    (Friday, May 27. 2016 07:59 PM)
    @Mamamoo: Keep in mind that although monster will be suspenseful/nailbiting/chilling/a mature thriller with one heck of a villain, it will have filler/drag/too many arcs. Berserk will be an experience of highs and lows and it kind of declines after a particular arc. Good decision choosing cardcaptor sakura’s manga over the anime, the anime I think left some stuff out.
  • mamamoo
    (Friday, May 27. 2016 05:35 PM)
    I’ve decided to get into manga on whim today after exclusively only watch anime for 6 years. I’m thinking of getting Monster, Berserk, Cardcaptor Sakura and 1 more. I think I want another shoujo manga in there to just keep the balance. Any recommendations? I like complicated\\pyschological dark stuff which sounds a bit contradictory to the shoujo genre but I’m just putting it out there for a recc
  • AidanAK47
    (Friday, May 27. 2016 04:11 PM)
    @K-Off, I do have the option to update WordPress but to do so I need psgels FTP password. I could try sending him a message to see if I can get that or if he can do it himself.
  • K-Off
    (Friday, May 27. 2016 03:52 AM)
    @Aidan If the “recent comments” is failing to show up this often, it may be a problem with the plugin or maybe even the theme itself, the site is outdated. If you can do anything on your end you can try.
  • K-Off
    (Friday, May 27. 2016 03:39 AM)
    Okay for now, the Featured Posts box will have only 6 thumbnails in it until the next few reviews, since for some reason I can tag helghast’s OST review but not any of the previous episodes.
  • AidanAK47
    (Friday, May 27. 2016 03:33 AM)
    Or not. WordPress make up your mind.
  • AidanAK47
    (Friday, May 27. 2016 03:33 AM)
    Looks like recent comments disappears when we have more than six.
  • K-Off
    (Friday, May 27. 2016 03:30 AM)
    @Aidan I’ll try tagging 6 more to see if it’ll do a similar thing at 9 posts.
  • AidanAK47
    (Friday, May 27. 2016 03:29 AM)
    Ah crap. Almost forgot.

1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · »

Bungou Stray Dogs 08a

Bungou Stray Dogs – 08

I have to say more than anything this is Bungou Stray Dogs’ special episode, in a sense that in one hand, the show produces one of its most brilliance ever, but on the other hand, there are still many shortcomings along with the greatness, producing an episode that mostly entertainment but uneven. The introduction of […]

Joker Game - 08 1

Joker Game – 08

Well Joker Game managed to pull a twist I didn’t see coming and what makes it rather amusing is that it did it unintentionally. For you see it took the entire episode for me to figure out that I wasn’t watching the antics of another spy of the D-agency only to figure out that this […]

Flying witch 07b

Flying witch – 07

One of the thing that Flying witch always does it right is how it establish the chemistry between any characters, while at the same time maintain the consistency in their personalities. It feels like if you give them any random characters in any random situation, pretty much the show can hit it off. Last week […]

Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 08 1

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World – 08

I feel bad for the artists and animators who made the opening and ending for this show as they don’t seem to be getting much use. Not that I am complaining of course as if the choice is between a catchy theme song and more content then content wins every time. Though it is a […]

Kiznaiver - 07 4

Kiznaiver – 07

To some this may be the strongest episode of Kiznaiver to date. However to someone like myself I find myself mixed on what I just witnessed. I have said before that what I like about this series are the aspects which are distinctly Trigger which would be it’s sense of wacky humor and character chemistry. […]

Mayoiga 07b

Mayoiga – 08

Again this week Mayoiga succeed at bringing a big screw-you to us audience. The cliffhanger last week is quickly revealed, and we come to learn that Masaki is not a ghost, nor is she a witch, but simply that… she had visited the Lost Village before. Big surprise! It really is a ridiculous anti-climax, but […]

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress – 06

If you haven’t heard by now, the second season of Attack on Titan has been delayed till 2017 because Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress is far too awesome for Studio Wit to handle in a single year. I really couldn’t care less about the delay since I already know what’s going to happen in season […]

Bungou Stray Dogs 07d

Bungou Stray Dogs – 07

This week the plot revolving the Azure King was resolved and it raises the conflict of sense of justice between Dazai and Kunikida. Like what I suspected last week, all the new characters are in play in this episode and now I get the hang of Bungou Stray Dogs storytelling now. The new characters will […]

Joker Game - 07 3

Joker Game – 07

You know, I am beginning to wonder just how do those lessons go at the D-Agency. Is it something like “Ok, class. Today I will teach you how to summon dolphins with a whistle. After that we will go over the magic rituals of Aleister Crowley and finally have a refresher on the finer points […]

20160513001913_1

Lucid9: Inciting Incident Video Game Review – 85/100

It’s not often I pick a game up without prior knowledge. I abhor the act of pre-ordering and at least do a google search on the title to get a general idea of it’s overall quality. Gone are the day you walk into a game store and buy something purely on a whim or the […]

The Totem Warrior

Chinese Animation Guide – Part 3: Haoliners inputs

This part we explore one Chinese animation studio’s works. I choose Haoliners partly because they are independent studio, and their works are not hard to find. Just established in 2013, Haoliners is an indie studio but gathered more reputation in the last few years in their homeland. My experience with them through those titles below […]

Cover

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress OST Review

This will be the first time in my anime blogging career that I have ever done one of these anime OST review. It should be known that I have a complete bias for Hiroyuki Sawano as he has become one of the biggest composer for anime in recent years in some of my favorite anime […]

Nüwa’s Growth Diary

Chinese Animation Guide – Part 2: Chinese Anime shows

As much as I hated the term Chinese Anime (Anime stands for Japanese animation, strictly speaking), this is the exact term for those shows. Their influence from the Anime was so heavy that apart from the voice cast and some scene settings, you can’t tell those apart from the original anime. With that said, judge from […]

If anyone have been followed animation closely for the last few years, they will notice a recent rise of Chinese animation (call it a wave if you like), both in feature and in series. While it does not have much of an impact in any English speaking world like anime has been, they are really popular in their mainland and some parts of Asian countries. With the success of Kung Fu Panda (half-produced by China) and its power on movies industry (China IS the main market for feature films now), it is worth it to take a look on this current trend and see how they are different from anime.
While my fellow bloggers are the ones who more specialize in Games and Manga, I will be the one who cover World Animation (by that I mean anything animated other than anime and American big studio animation – they got way too much coverage already). Like majority of you guys I am not from China, my Chinese is as good as my Japanese (which is to say NONE), so this is actually goddamn difficult to look for titles, and the information I could find are sacred here on top of that find a suitable sub for it, most of them does not even have an English name, thus the title and the synopsis that I give you here are just a rough translation. So behold. This is our very first attempt to cover the animation of china.

Chinese Animation Guide – Part 1: Computer Animated Wuxia shows

If anyone have been followed animation closely for the last few years, they will notice a recent rise of Chinese animation (call it a wave if you like), both in feature and in series. While it does not have much of an impact in any English speaking world like anime has been, they are really popular […]

asagao to kase-san

K-Off’s Ongoing Manga Recommendations (embedded links)

If you frequent the frontpage of Imgur or r/manga often, you may have seen some of my past manga recommendation lists before, but here’s some ongoing manga that I’ll recommend for now. This is in no particular order of best-worst, I’ve also embedded the links to the scanlations into the images for your convenience. 1. […]

New Manga Spotlight – Konya wa Tsuki ga Kirei Desu ga, Toriaezu Shi ne, Shoujo Fujuubun and Shimanami Tasogare

Konya wa Tsuki ga Kirei Desu ga, Toriaezu Shi ne Two chapters so far. Ah love, that sweet nectar which all seek to experience. And truly there is nothing more romantic than gathering up your courage, inviting the girl you love up to the roof, taking her by the shoulders and proclaiming with all your […]

kQtrlYU

Langrisser Re:Incarnation Tensei video game review- 35/100 (avoid it like the plague)

To preface, I’d call this the poor man’s Fire Emblem if it wasn’t so damn expensive for its quality, not to mention so difficult to find. Here in New York City outside of lower Manhattan, there’s game stores in Brooklyn, Queens, Flatiron, and Newport, to a total count of 12 game stores in a 20 […]

413420_20160420220647_1

DanganRonpa 2: Goodbye Despair Video Game Review – 90/100

There may be those of you who know this series more by its anime adaption instead of it’s video games and if you haven’t watched the anime of this I highly recommend that you don’t watch it. Instead play the games which have been recently ported to Steam. The reason I say this is that […]