Posted by psgels on 27 May 2010 with categories: Durarara

I’ve said before that this isn’t the sort of climax I like. You know, the kind where characters just refuse to talk to each other, which is something that could make things a lot easier. With Anri… it’s still somewhat understandable: she doesn’t know about Mikado, and instead she’s just worried about being rejected as a monster, that’s fine. But in this episode Kida finds out that Mikado is the leader of the Dollars, and also remains silent. *headdesk* It also doesn’t help that Mikado still keeps listening to Izaya and that the rest of the Dollars are running around beyond his control.

There’s a line between flawed and just downright annoying here, and Kida… unfortunately is constantly hopping over that line. His angst has just been a bit too much for me… I can see that he’s had quite a past, but he doesn’t quite feel like such a dynamic character; my impression of him is that he’s either angsty or hyperactively hiding his angst, with hardly anything else. Anri on the other hand is getting more and more interesting now that we’ve gotten to know her, and Mikado already was interesting… though he’s gotten way too little airtime during the past episodes. I want to see some more scenes of him, trying to keep the Dollars under control. The two of them have a bunch of different sides now, but surprisingly there are just too many characters that are just… too one sided. This also includes Simon (who seems like he always talks about how good Sushi is) and Izaya (who seems to be a professional troll or something: do we see him do anything else?).

At this point though, I’m not yet sure whether I should criticize this show for having an annoying plot on purpose: it’s clear that the creators put a lot of thought into having things escalate like this, and Izaya’s trolling is making sure that everyone keeps doubting each other. But I’m just not enjoying this show like I hoped I would at the end of the first half of this show. It’s not bad or anything near that, but at the same I consider the second half as inferior to the first half of this show.

It’s also a bit of a shame that the animation budget still hasn’t recovered here. There are a few scenes with smooth animation, but none of them last longer than half a second, and on top of that there are a ton of distorted or rushed frames. That’s something you wouldn’t expect of Brains Base. I believe that this is the first series that they animate continuously for 24 episodes without breaks, and I guess that the toll of this becomes visible now.

Let me also talk a bit about the OP here, which have been… misleading to say the least. Consider the OP, which displays a bunch of characters who hardly made any appearance in this second half. I mean, why Shizuo’s brother? Why was there the need to include his brother? Heck, I actually thought that that Cop would make a big appearance, but aside from a cameos he’s also been pretty useless aside from giving Celty a strange quirk that feels a bit overdone. It’s another one of those “hey, we’re advertising to be like Baccano while we actually are completely different”-gimmicks of this series that caused me to expect the completely wrong kind of series here. I see that part of the fault lies with me for actually expecting this, but still…
Rating: * (Good)

1. chounokoe says:

I wouldn’t say that the fault lies with the viewer if the anime actually somehow promises something that it just cannot fullfill.

It’s not like your expectations came from something that wasn’t there.
    If you had expected, for example a deep and philosophical story from this author…okay, I would have called the idea blinded by too high expectations.

But I think they actually, like you said, tried too hard to promise the next Baccano here, when honestly it just isn’t.
    I don’t know if you know Boogiepop, but I imagined the atmosphere and direction to be much more like that…sans the gore.

2. Nellie says:

I believe the issue with Mikado is that he’s actually not the leader of Dollars, since it doesn’t have one, just the founder. Being the founder gives him some privileges, but he doesn’t outright control them.

3. Kim says:

Although I actually really like both Mikado & Kida (Anri I am not as big of a fan of but I don’t dislike her) I agree the whole conflict born out of misunderstandings is not high up on my favorite things either.

And not being like Baccano is perfectly fine but I do feel the director using a similar opening style mislead the audience a bit. There almost all the characters had a part to play. Here it is more centered on a select few.

4. Chan says:

I think that you really have to learn that there is a differentiation of what we the viewers know and what the characters know. You’re pretty much basing all of your judgment on what you as a viewer knows but not on what the characters themselves know. For instance Mikado is not aware of the fact that Izaya is a lying bastard, all he knows is that Izaya knows an informant who has a lot of knowledge of pretty much everyone in Ikebukuro, and is a Dollars member. He is not aware of precisely why Izaya should not be trusted yet.

In terms of Kida, he is now the leader of the Yellow Scarves and while he himself is hesitant about attacking the Dollars the same cannot be said about the other Yellow Scarves members. The Yellow Scarves are looking for revenge for their members who were attacked by the slashers, and they are currently pinning the blame on the Dollars. Plus like Celty had said to Mikado before there are many Yellow Scarves who are bitter about the Dollars becoming such a large and successful “gang” in their absence, they are just looking for a reason to start a fight with the Dollars. Kida knows this and you as the viewer were informed of this by Celty. Mikado being the leader of the Dollars puts Mikado in danger of being attacked by the Yellow Scarves, and it also puts Kida in a bit of a spot as he doesn’t want to hurt Mikado, so its not as if he angst comes from nowhere. Also if any of the Yellow Scarves found out about it they would probably kick Kida out of the Yellow Scarves, and right now Kida is the only reason why they haven’t killed anyone.

The Key to understanding this show is to actually pay attention to everything that a character says, especially if it was stated in the chat room.

5. reyan16 says:

i think the reason why you don’t quite like this section of this series is because they’re basing them off the novel. these are only two arcs out of how many? eight? and there’s actually much more to the characters than what meets the eyes. for example, anri being in charge of saika, or mikado being the leader of dollars. these all came as big suprises. therefore, all the other characters that made cameo scenes play a much larger role in the plot of the novel. Shizuo’s brother is huge in the fourth volume and Izaya does more stuff. there also comes an explanation about kida’s personality and how he doesn’t talk to mikado even after knowing the truth. (this is later explained by izaya) so i think there’s actually a lot of charm to this series.

6. Buddy Waters says:

What other people said; not talking to each other is normally just to make a plot work, but in this case, it largely makes sense that they wouldn’t. Not sure they’ve been as clear about that as the novels were; they’re not using the narration to make that clear because they’d prefer to not spell things out, but if you’re already backing away because you’ve had bad experiences with poorly done plots like this, it’s easy to overlook things.
    Why didn’t Kida talk to Mikado? The answer is right there, in the scene where that other Dollars guy comes over and talks to them. It’s given as a couple of reaction shots, but it is there.
    There are problems with the source material here, though — the novel definitely felt like it took him a few hundred pages to ease his characters into the places he needed them to be for the climax.

7. Roger says:

Okay, I have to say that you are upholding a ridiculous double standard here. On one side, you hold it against Mikado to trust Izaya too much, and on the other you hold it against Kida for not openly accusing Mikado of being the Dollars leader because IZAYA SAID SO? There’s no winning here.

I’m not entirely sure what you expect Mikado to do, make a thread on the Dollars message board that they need to calm down? As for the rest of you complaints, considering Kida a angsty character with nothing beyond that I don’t understand, he’s obviously in love with Saki as well as Anri, and isn’t afraid to come out for either of it, really. Don’t remember the last time I’ve seen a character that had that angle. Simon and Kinnosuke aren’t the main characters of this arc, but they are going to do some stuff in the finale.

Finally I don’t really know what you mean by Anri getting more interesting. We now know everything, and she can’t ever love lest she goes on a slicing spree, so no romantic development period, nor will she ever take up her sword on her own right, it being Kida she’s fighting. Kida himself is enough of a proactive character that knowing what he does about Mikado won’t put him in inaction. Anri I can’t say I’m expecting much of beyond this point.

I’ll agree with you on the Baccano issue though, the constant references to it are misleading. This does have centralised story as well as clear protoganists, and it seems to rely on character interaction more then the actual characters, as opposed to Baccano, great cast, had absolutely nothing to do with each other though.

8. Chan says:

I I’m going to add to what I said in my previous post. Though I’ve got to ask a question too. Do you know Japanese? Cause you posted a review of this episode before the subtitles even came out, and considering this is a series that is essentially 90% dialogue, and they basically explained what you complaining about in their conversations several times in fact. Not only that but Izaya claiming that Mikado is losing control of the Dollars is incorrect. Izaya just wants Mikado to think if he has control of the Dollars, but in truth the Dollars haven’t done anything to excite the Yellow Scarves.

9. psgels psgels says:

Chan: I’ve got to admit that my Japanese is indeed a bit rusty. I usually just watch an episode in whichever form it’s released at that point, so there are indeed a number of things that I end up getting wrong. However, I don’t think that those are major enough to really change my enjoyment of an episode significantly.

10. Roger says:

Well considering you’ve complained about Simo’s character at leat twice now, I will say this. As is explicietly stated in this episode, Simon’s english vocabulary is extremely limited. Don’t expect him to break out non-sushi related dialogue with anyone any time soon because while he is ten times as eloquet in Russian, Izaya’s the only one he can talk to in that language.

11. Chan says:

@pgsels
    You got a lot of things wrong actually, in the last couple of weeks since you started to only watching the raw. Several times in last couple of weeks you’ve actually missed out on several plot points. And yes what you’re missing out on is hindering you from enjoying the story considering that most of the complaints you’ve been having for the past couple of weeks have been things that were either explained in the very episode you where you were complaining. This is a show that is 90% dialogue, and not understanding or pay attention to said dialogue will inhibit your understanding of the show, and make your episode reviews look like a joke to anyone whose actually watched the episode and understood what was being said by the characters. I wouldn’t have responded to you if this was the first time you’ve make a grave error but this is the 7th time you’ve done it.

Moments like the one with Dr.Kishitani happen often. Characters in this series do have a habit of revealing some really important information in offhand conversations, especially Izaya.

12. pgal says:

The episodes have lately not been as interesting as the first arc and the lack of communication between the friends can get annoying. So far I can only understand Anri’s silence though I feel she will need to speak up eventually.

Durarara has a good animation team, they need to create a different style for this anime and move away from the Baccano style. It was fun at first but not anymore.

13. sage says:

how callow. no wonder nobody takes this blog seriously.

14. Pi says:

Actually, it would be out of character for Anri to speak up. I’m still not a fan of Anri. While I’m not fond of Kida’s arc in the anime, I console myself by telling myself that we won’t see a lot of Kida screening very soon.

Also, it was obvious throughout the episode that Kida did not want to start a fight with Dollars. Since Mikado behaved in ways that hinted Kida to act as if nothing happened makes Kida more hesitant to attack. He has a lot to bare of his shoulders, he feels responsible for making everyone he truly cares about happy (Saki, Anri and mostly Mikado, his precious friend). Kida most likely refused to talk about it because he didn’t want to place Mikado in a bad spot, so he tries to solve the problem without getting Mikado involved.

About Mikado, the reason why Dollars is so disorganized is because there is no leader in Dollars. Mikado is considered to be the founder of Dollars but not exactly the leader.

Either way, I expected the ‘revelation’ scene to be darker and more angst–just like in the novel. I guess the producers are have a hard time trying to make a transition from of first half of the anime.

15. Roger says:

Not sure why you feel it is out of character for Masaomi to not speak up. It was made crystal clear in episode 5, 19, 16 and 17: Anri and Masaomi are both completely dependant on their friends. Anri considers herself Masaomi and Mikado’s parasite and Masaomi consider his three main friends his life, or place in the world. Them going on to accuse the others of being rival gang leaders while they’re attending school happily (on the surface) would be OoC to me. Regardless of whether it’s a good plot, this conflict i the natural conclusion of Kida’s and Anri’s characters.

16. Maggie says:

If it makes you feel any better, there is a huge possibility that this anime will have a second season. There are like six or something light novels available right now (which you should read) and they could easily be meshed with the anime. I’m treating Durarara as the first half of this story, there are a lot of plots that they have not included yet, like Izaya’s past, Izaya’s sisters and other things involving Shizuo, Celty, Kadota, etc. So I’d calm down just a tad, though I highly agree with you about the first half of the series being superior to the second. But this IS how it happens, we just have to bear with Kida’s angst for now. Durarara has not failed to disappoint and entertain me, I am proud to call it one of my favorite animes of all time.

17. Roger says:

I dunno, in the later novels’ plot the Blue Squares are still around, alot of the plot is dependant on it. The anime right now is stating pretty black and white that they did with Izumii.

18. Jo says:

Sometimes I think Durarara!! is at it’s best when it doesn’t focus too much on its Dollars-Slashers-YellowScarves-BlueSquare plot. I mean, really. It’s interesting enough, but the second half so far, when compared to the first which hadn’t introduced the main plot to us feels less compelling. Or am I only feeling this way because of the compressed adaption?

Shoutbox

Name:
Email:
For:
Mail will not be published
  • ratsgnoF
    (Tuesday, Jun 30. 2015 07:27 AM)
    @Emma I agree. When you look back, teenagers are retarded and do a lot of stupid stuff.
  • Emma
    (Tuesday, Jun 30. 2015 01:51 AM)
    @ak184: Sporadically mildly entertaining with an enjoyable final stretch. Though at times I found myself falling in and out with the series.
    @Aidan: I would be more than happy to read your yahari review.
    @RatsgnoF: Looking back at being a teenager, I can’t say that moment of a persons life isn’t free of melodrama.
  • ak184
    (Monday, Jun 29. 2015 11:53 PM)
    Out of curiosity, for those who were watching it, what did you all thought of jojo stardust crusaders? Now that it has recently ended
  • ratsgnoF
    (Monday, Jun 29. 2015 05:35 PM)
    IMO I think that emphasizes how important their relationships are with each other. It shows how the characters have developed and change. They’re very vocal about how they feel and what they want. To the point where it would seem melodramatic.
  • AidanAK47
    (Monday, Jun 29. 2015 03:17 PM)
    @Emma, I never disliked the movie. And I do think it did that archer vs Shirou fight much better. But the problem with it is that it basically removes coherency from the story. People would just be downright confused watching it if they have no knowledge. The movie is pretty much fan service.
  • AidanAK47
    (Monday, Jun 29. 2015 03:13 PM)
    I was actually thinking of writing up a Yahari review. Overall I enjoyed it but I felt that it got far too melodramatic at points over relatively little. It just felt like the characters where making mountains out of molehills.
  • ratsgnoF
    (Monday, Jun 29. 2015 07:59 AM)
    That exactly why it’s so good. It’s not very cliche like most animes. The characters themselves have very interesting personalities. Personalities that are actually unique. Not those personalities that every main lead has. Very cliched anime is bad. I can literally predict what happens next watching it the first time. Seeing those 3 interact and struggle is very enjoyable It’s kinda down to earth in a way.
  • Emma
    (Monday, Jun 29. 2015 07:02 AM)
    I think, watching Yahari, that its time I stopped bashing the “Too many teenagers thing in anime”, better to make the teenage characters we get actually interesting people.
  • ratsgnoF
    (Monday, Jun 29. 2015 06:57 AM)
    If they do plan a season 3, it probably won’t be out for about a year or two. The last 2 episodes were adapted from volume 11 which was released 5 days ago.
  • Emma
    (Monday, Jun 29. 2015 06:48 AM)
    That final episode of Yahari’s second season pretty much left me saying “Season 3 where and now”
    And “You can’t end this here”.

1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · »

Knights of Sidonia S2 – 11

It’s quite the coincidence that both shows I am covering have decided to use their last episodes to make up for the season’s shortcomings. This will be a short post as while action packed episodes are great to watch, they make it hard to bring up topics to talk about. Guana look to be imitating […]

Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Bladeworks – 24

Now this is more like it. Well as they say, better late than never and this was at least the best moment to bring back the quality. All I ask is where this was three episodes ago which it could have made all the difference in the world. Admittedly this episode has made me a […]

Knights of Sidonia S2 – 10

Unfortunately this wasn’t the time for Izana to become an ace pilot though she did at least show some ingenuity in her escape from gauna. Instead the spotlight falls once again to Tsugumi and Tanikaze. A lot of the fight scenes before the challenger appeared was to shown that Tsugumi and Tanikaze have great teamwork […]

Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Bladeworks – 23

Sometimes it’s hard being a veteran anime fan and a huge Fate Franchise fan. I sit down to watch the latest episode of this series and I want to shut up the cynical critic in the back of my brain pointing out everything that is wrong with this episode. But as events I adored from […]

Knights of Sidonia S2 – 9

Though the majority of the episode was of the same antics I have been complaining about in previous episodes, it’s nice to see Sidonia get back to what it does best. Dire situations and sci-fi mecha action. Izana being pushed into the role of scouting with a new weapon has to be the best path […]

Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Bladeworks – 22

A fairly uneventful episode this week.In some ways for me that’s good as it allows me to go into detail about the nature of the ever so popular CGI dolpins. But first let’s speak about what happened. Our three heroes had a strategy meeting discussing how to deal with Gilgamesh and the grail while all […]

Knights of Sidonia S2 – 8

I think something is wrong when I consider a protagonist from a movie these characters are watching a more compelling lead than our current one. I was surprised when starting the episode to see a sudden rise in visual quality only for it to turn out to be a movie within an anime. Actually I […]

Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Bladeworks – 21

I am not happy. To say I was disappointed in this episode would be an understatement. I am, to be frank, angry. So much so that I have to admit something that I really don’t want to admit. For you see from what has been shown of the second cour so far I would deem […]

Knights of Sidonia S2 – 7

Moral of the story, if you build a death star planet destroying ray then you better make sure that it’s not sentient. Though it seems that the dangers of using such weaponry are lost on Kobayashi as even one wiping out the testing facility and a hefty number of people isn’t enough of a red […]

Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Bladeworks Review – 85/100

For a long time now this adaption has been the dreams of many a Fate fan with many believing it would never come to pass, but now that it is here is it everything that we dreamed? Short answer to this is no, long answer is nearly. I feel this show will have many divided […]

Shirobako Review – 80/100

When you see a harem anime and sigh as the breasts of the female lead jiggle with every step and wind that can flip a skirt it’s easy to forget that somewhere in Japan a group of people worked hard to get that jiggle right and draw each frame of animation. The hardships of the […]

Clipboard06

Nerawareta Gakuen Review – 84/100

Let me talk a bit about Ryousuke Nakamura. For a long time, this guy was my hero. He started off as an assistant director to Monster, in my opinion a big reason why that series got such a ridiculously solid adaptation, and then in 2008 he came with the groundbreaking Mouryou no Hako. No TV-series […]

Clipboard03

Kick Heart

Okay, so I didn’t want to exit 2013 without having seen Masaaki Yuasa’s Kick Heart. It’s only twelve minutes anyway, and I consider him to be one of the best anime directors out there. The story here is pretty silly and mostly serves as a backdrop, so I mostly want to talk about the nature […]

Clipboard01

Kyousogiga Review – 90/100

Everyone’s taste is different, and that’s a wonderful thing because that allows us to have so many different forms of media that all aim toward their own niche. My blog is obviously written from the perspective of my own taste, and even when a show doesn’t cater to it (which is nearly always), I love […]

Clipboard04

Ore no Nounai Sentakushi ga, Gakuen Lovecome o Zenryoku de Jama Shiteiru Review – 80/100

Noucome! You do not want to know how long I have been waiting for a series like this. More than half a decade, at the very least. Finally a series comes along and puts the incredibly overused harem genre in its place. And it actually does it well. Thank you! So to elaborate: the harem […]

Clipboard01

Pokemon: The Origin Review – 75/100

Normally I try to avoid spoilers with these reviews, but screw it, it’s Pokemon. Pokemon The Origin is a bomb of nostalgia. If you haven’t played Pokemon Red, Blue or Green, then you will not enjoy this one slight bit. This really is made as pure undilluted fanservice for the fans of the first games. […]

Clipboard08

Tamayura – More Aggressive Review – 75/100

I’m not going to dedicate a post for my impression for the final three episodes of this series. It was just too boring to write much about. I guess that that gives a pretty accurate indication of what I think about this series. Right at the start of Tamayura’s second season, I asked one question: […]

Clipboard04

Silver Spoon Review – 86/100

When Noitamina started airing two series per season, it was amazing. It’s a timeslot that on average tends to be aimed at a much older audience than usual, and having two series with the same mentality definitely helped to bring more diversity to anime overall. Unfortunately it’s a schedule that could not be kept up […]