Posted by psgels on 30 May 2010 with categories: Full Metal Alchemist - Brotherhood

We’re really nearing the climax for this series now, you can really see that the focus is getting more and more back to the lead characters and especially the lead villains. The next episode should be all about Father, trying to do whatever he needs to do in order to execute that plan of his. After that there are going to be three more episodes to wrap everything up. Should be enough.

Thumbs up for especially Al in this episode: he actually refused to go back to his body, because he knew that it would be impossible to be useful with that kind of a posture. That was actually very well built up: ever since he got stuffed in that box and Pride got hold of him, he’s had a lot of trouble being useful, having to play the part of damsel in distress a few times, along with just being too far away to help out in the early battles of Central City.

This episode made a ton of promises for interesting fights: it’s not just the question of “Will Al be able to redeem himself?”, but also, “how will Roy kick ass now that his eyes are gone?”, and “what will Mai Chang’s role be if the creators went through the trouble of putting her amongst the most central characters of the story at the most crucial time?”, to a fight between Scar and Mustang that will continue into the next episode. And then there’s Ed: as the lead character but nowhere near the best fighter, what is his role going to be?

The animation was quite inconsistent in this episode: some parts were animated quite smoothly, and you can really see that the animators really like animating the fights that involve Bradley with great detail, but there also were a few speedlines, unrefined faces and still frames. The big question for that is obviously going to be whether or not the creators saved enough budget for those final episodes, especially since they’ve been teasing us over and over with that ED.
Rating: ** (Excellent)

1. Acylia says:

Let’s just hope they cut on the animation to make an awesome ending, and NOT because they’re getting poor. x/ I won’t tolerate a badly animated ending!!! >:/ The Al-scene was great, though. Poor kid.

2. Acylia says:

Oh, btw, what was your opinion on the Roy-stuff this week? :o

3. Puran says:

Is it really only three more episodes? If the last manga chapter is really as huge as its rumoured to be (100+ pages), 3 eps don’t seem enough.

4. Serpit says:

4 episodes.

And rumors are just rumors. It will probably be big, and should get an entire episode according to my calculations, but not as humongous as people speculate. I’d say ~80 pages tops.

Anyway, the next episodes will be very fast-paced. They covered nearly 2 chapters this week and there was barely any filler, which is a good sign considering the last few episodes were pretty slow.

5. psgels psgels says:

Well, in an interview the director said that he was surprised how huge the final chapter was, so who knows?

Acylia: well, it’s always easy to kill, limb or cripple a character when a story is nearly done. Roy’s eye loss was indeed shocking, but what’s much more important is how the last episodes will end up using it.

6. Linnie says:

Next episode SHOULD be the one where the well animated episodes start as it will be mostly action packed…
    What made me cringe this week: Mustang held Hawkeye, cried for her not to die while NOT trying to even pressure her wound. Not very wise from an Ishbal veteran. If I remember correctly, she had her hand tight against her neck the whole time in manga.

7. Keith says:

Linnie, actually I just re-read that chapter and it seems like as Mustang is holding her, neither of them are really touching her neck. Mustang’s hand looks like it’s on her shoulder-ish, but again, it doesn’t exactly look like he’s applying pressure.

8. Linnie says:

Keith: You’re right. Well, it freaked me out in anime, probably it was more obvious. Thanks for clearing it up for me.

9. Ergo says:

I’m I the only one that was disappointed with the Alphonse scene? The manga…that was one of the best moments in the manga…and here…it was rushed, the animation was sloppy, it didn’t feel emotional enough at all.

10. Cornwiggle says:

In all honesty, they never should have fixed a set timeslot for this anime, intending to finish a manga THAT WASN’T EVEN DONE YET.

I’m going to be pissed if they’ve been doing so great this far, only to rush the ending and ruin it.

11. Ebod says:

Truth to be told, though, I don’t think ANY of us expected the last chapter to be a whooping 150 pages…

12. Ergo says:

The 150 pages thing isn’t confirmed though…

But I still feel that the chapter will be at least 100 pages or somewhere around there.

13. StWolf says:

How is it that Al’s body can be sentient apart from a soul within it? Is there a bit of Al still in that body?

14. Kane says:

“to a fight between Scar and Mustang that will continue into the next episode”

I think you mean Bradley there, champ :-)

Also, I’m gonna LOL if next episode, Mei thinks she woke up Al thanks to the POWAA OF LOVE.

15. Kane says:

BTW, this is for psgels: back in ep 56 you thought Roy was one of the characters who stood a good chance of defeating Bradley handily.

Guess it’s really the other way around, huh? Good thing the bad guys need Roy alive, else he would’ve had two swords through his heart and neck instead of his hands.

16. mangatoread says:

I agree with you. AL refused to be on container is the best part..
    And I can’t wait to continue watching Scar vs King Bradley..

17. Keith says:

I thought they did the Al’s body part pretty well actually. They gave Al rejecting his body a more ominous feel to it, which is definitely fitting considering what happens next.

Also Scar vs. Wrath is easily my favorite part of these last parts of the story. I’m so glad they’ve been doing justice to its start. I’m looking forward to episode 61 even more so just to see how they handle the rest of it :)

18. Bobby says:

@Ergo
    i kinda see your point w/ the Al scene a bit. i didn’t like the transition to that scene, so at first it seemed a bit rushed, but the overall scene wasn’t bad although the manga did it better IMHO…

i have to say Bones has done wrath/bradley true justice in this series… from the moment he owned the ice guy in the 1st ep you KNEW this was not going to be the talky/little-action bradley from the 1st series. nice new BGM w/ him and scar too… too bad the dubbed version of brotherhood has the same english voice actor from before, his voice is NOT scary/angry at all

@Cornwiggle
    setting the ep number probably allowed them to pace themselves, which is why the 1st 14 eps that covered stuff from the 1st series was rushed a bit to get to ling/may/new stuff as soon as possible. it might be a little rushed, but since chapter 100 the manga has really slowed down timewise so speeding up isn’t necessarily a bad thing it they do it right.

19. Ergo says:

@StWolf:

Al’s Truth is wearing Al’s body. It’s Al’s Truth that’s talking not Al’s body.

20. Jo says:

You know, I’m starting to feel paranoid. The anime has what-3 or so more episodes to go? They have maybe, 7 more chaps to cover, plus the recent manga chapters had quite an increase in pages, with the last one presumed to have at least a 100 pages. Can they actually make this work?

21. Keith says:

@Ergo, that’s not exactly true. He says something along the lines of “I would be proud to be your container.” At least that’s what the line is in the manga I read.

If that was the truth speaking…wouldn’t he not be referring to himself like that?

22. Roldan says:

great episode as usual.

@Bobby

That’s the best part of the english dub, he sounds like a nice old man when he’s just talking but when he’s badass, he sounds scary as hell. Watch the episode when Bradley fights Greed and you’ll hear what i mean.

23. Bobby says:

@Keith
    i think Ergo’s take on “Truth”/Al is largely right… i mean how would Al’s body know that his soul going back to the real world would be a bad thing? a god (i.e. Truth) would know because HE’S GOD… plus, Ed’s version of “Truth” has his arm and leg on it’s “body”, in Al’s case his entire body was taken so in that respect Al’s version of “Truth” is “wearing” his entire body as a toll. even the line you quoted (i WOULD be proud to be YOUR container) it’s seems like Truth is speaking.

@Roldan
    haven’t seen the past few dubbed eps so you may very well be right, i just think that the natural voice of Bradley’s actor doesn’t really fit his face/look/age like the japanese actor does. but what you said totally makes sense

24. Anzai says:

There is one thing I don’t understand though… How the hell did they make Mustang perform the transmutation?
    Until now the so called “magic system” was explained in detail and had logic in every aspect. But now suddenly Mustang is forced to perform a transmutation even if he strongly doesn’t want that. I thought that alchemy is performed with the mind,as the place where the knowledge is, and than the transformation of the object takes place, or something like that. Maybe i just don’t understand the alchemy system good enough… Anyone care to explain?

25. Keith says:

@Anzai, it will be explained in the upcoming episodes. There’s a price to pay for everything. It will also explain why they couldn’t just group together a bunch of alchemists and force them to do the transmutations.

26. goody says:

@Anzai: knowledge was in goldtooth. Alchemic powers were from kimbly. Roy just had the bad luck of being pinned down on the transmutation circle.
    but the one doing the transmutation was Pride….. and he too had to pay the price. But more of this in the next ep :)

27. Anzai says:

Thx for the answers. ^^ That was helpful

28. scytheslash says:

@Anzai Also the array they used for Mustang’s transmutation was different from the one Ed and Al use, it looked a lot more squarish.
    its interesting to contrast this with the Ed, Ling and Envy episode in Gluttony’s stomach. That time the whole process was guided by Ed who had already been once to the gate, and Envy was the energy source. Here Pride was doing everything, and neither Pride nor Mustang had any advance knowledge of the gate, they couldn’t guide themselves to it or away from it. Or maybe Pride adjusted the parameters so that Mustang just HAD to lose something….

Mustang’s toll was much lighter, i guess he just lost the capacity for sight, not the entire eye itself.

Hand Shakers, how I love to watch it jumping off the cliff. This show contains lines like "I don't understand... even if I did understand... but I don't understand." It isn't a dialogue that we encounter too often I'm sure.
@Mario, Sounds good to me. With me covering Little Witch Academia, Saga of Tanya the evil and Rakugo this season is well covered.
so I've decided to blog 3-gatsu, Scum's Wish and ACCA this season. A bit worry about the latter as I still don't have much to talk about that. Let's try it and see what happens; I say
Okay, I'm not hot on Onihei this week, as if the main theme about these two episodes were "people can be corrupted" then I'm not buying it. ACCA, on the other hand, was still very solid of building up the world and its big events to come.
I have played all the big roguelikes and found they have the same problem. I argee on procedural generation. Even if the map is different every time you are essentailly going through the same rooms and doing the same things.
Though to be honest, I don't like procedural(or designed room and then game connects them randomly) games much. I much enjoy hand designed dungeons since I rarely play games through more than once anyway so roguelike's appeal of "Every time you play it through its different!" doesn't appeal to me much and hand designed dungeons are much more memorable
Can't really comment further on that since I don't know which roguelikes you have played, and neither I have played gungeon so I don't know if its badly designed to the point you can't do anything if rng says so. Though I guess there is nothing wrong about liking luck based games, if roguelike in question is truly unbeatable if rng says so, well, its really badly designed one if you ask me.
Take my last run. Made it up to the fourth floor. Got plenty of guns but none were really useful. Even then ran out of ammo for all of them and the game was cheap about giving out ammo. Plenty of money but shops with nothing worth buying. Over 5 heart containers but no goddamn health. Died on the boss because I rolled out of a bullet into another bullet. Pretty much unavoidable.
@Masky, that's the theory but in pretty much every roguelike I played its not the case. If the RNG decides you are going to have a bad time then you are going to have a bad time. Skill can only bring you so far. I have played this game for 7 hours and I know I could have finished it in 2. Only thing stopping me is a dice roll.
Like, the thing with roguelikes is that they can get easier/harder depending on luck, but well done one should be completable even without any upgrades at all if you are skilled enough.
Thats not the really case with roguelikes though, unless game design is bad and includes insta kill traps and such that are unavoidable if you are unlucky
I hate roguelikes. Been playing enter the Gungeon and I just lost all patience with it. Getting real tired of my victory being decided by a RNG. It never feels satisfying to finish a roguelike because I know my victory was determined by pure luck.
So we got to rely on fansubs for it when it's airing.
@Mario, Nope. I think because netflix only puts up full seasons they are only planning to put it up when it's finished airing. Or when it's dubbed.
But how does the Netflix thing work? So of I have a Netflix account I can watch the show weekly?
@Aidan: that's a dumb way to do things really because unless you watch the show weekly, everyone gonna forget that it even exist. Just look at Re-Life last year
thought*. Words are hard.

Eventually found the actual first ep though and enjoyed it.
Was funny. I tried to find the first Ep for Little Witch, found original short made afew years ago, watched it and though "This is very similar to the original... Whats new".
Little witch is one of the best shows this season and yet I can't get subtitles because Netflix doesn't release shows weekly. Motherf*cker.
Ore Monogatari I enjoyed. It was a nice romance that actually explored what happens after the confession. Also the 2 leads are just precious.
Alright but unmemorable seems like a good summation.
@Lenlo: one good thing about Seiren is if you don't like this romance, the whole thing gonna reset after episode 4 so there's a chance that you might end up like it. Agreed that the comedy wasn't very good. Alright but unmemorable
@Topgavin: I watched like first 3 episodes and stopped because I didn't have much time there, but I enjoyed what I saw. A well-written and endearing show in my book
Has anyone here watched Ore Monogatari before? Because in the 4 years I've watched anime, I've never heard of it (I guess it did come out 2 years ago) and yet it's turning out to be one of my favorite shows. Always great going into a show expecting nothing and getting pleasantly surprised.
Only one more impression to go. Should have it up tomorrow.
Im really not feeling Seiren. Its "comedy" isnt for me and I just dont find it very enjoyable to watch so far. Im curious if it gets any better but 2 episodes in it just isnt that good.
HelghastKillzone
That ending scene is an entire side-story compressed into that. Don't expect anymore of it from here on out as the it sticks to ruthless military/fantasy pretty well.
LookingForKeys
@Topgavin I think it was good, making it the second episode. That way the first set up the world the story will be in, and showed how much of a monster the "little girl" really is right at the end, and then made ep.2 the explanation. Nothing against Tanya trying to rip "God" a new one.
That after-credits scene, though...
Hmm, as much as I like Seiren's omnibus format, it doesn't turn out really hot this second episode. Demi-chan, on the other hand, still maintains its endearing tone. Might blogging Demi-chan instead
Yeah, that second episode was much better than the first. Dunno why they didn't start with that to be honest, waste of an opportunity for a good hook episode. The voice for the main girl still sounds weird to me though; I get it's supposed to sound weird because it symbolizes 'her' being out of place and her personality and body being a mismatch, but it'll certainly take some getting used to.
Youjo Senki, now we are talking. Like Helghast said, Did the god scene way better than the LN and manga. Made it less comedic and more intimidating.
Oh man that Rakugo intro. Not sure what to think, but first time seeing it I liked it
I sort of like good will hunting because I kind of saw a bit of myself in Damon's character when I watched it ages ago.
@Mario: Remaking psycho and ruining the shower scene, for shame van sant, for shame.
Its easy to ripoff some obscure thing though and get away with it. The dogtooth director essentially stole an old Mexican film to make that.
@Kaiser: yeah, that following some guys from behind like they were on a RPG games, which I think actually fit with the tones of Elephant. I have such mixed feeling with Gus van Sant too. Don't really think he's a great director.
@Mario: Although Istvan Szabo is probably a little more well known for that Mephisto film that updates the Faust story. Zoltan Fabri's the fifth seal is a very thought provoking war movie.
@Mario: I remember seeing a film documentary that featured Gus van sant in one section, they showed clips of tarrs films, Sant ripped of the cinematography and stole the style from some British short film to make Elephant.
@Kaiser: agree on the other Hungarian filmmakers, I don't know much about them either.
@Mario: Scorsese's Silence was a big comeback. I really really emotionally connect with spiritual crisis stories.
@kaiser: yep, definitely check wreckmeister down. Althought I admit that watching his 2-hour plus films will feel like 5-hour anyways
@Mario: I'm more tolerant of darker teenage/coming of age films/stories. Les Demons was a big surprise.
@Mario: Though its kind of frustrating, I do think Tarr probably takes attention away from other hungarian filmakers because no-body knows who the hell the others are.
@Mario: Man, wreckmeister was so visually arresting I started getting dreams from it.
@Mario: I would consider Tarr to be kind of a poor mans Janco, Angelopolus and Tarkvosky rolled into one. I don't entirely "get" wreckmeister and man from London but they are great atmospheric mood piece experiences.
@Kaiser: I had been wanting to watch Belar Tarr's Turin Horse and Werckmeister Harmonies for so long now. Well, Fat Girl is shocking haha, but I'm normally drawn into those kind of films anyway.
@Kaiser: Margaret took like 5,6 years to release because he couldn't cut it down in the way he wanted. The final cut if I remembered correctly was edited by Martin Scorsese
@Mario: Only a HDcam for moonlight now.
I looks like my lineup is witch academia, rakugo and youjo senki, well the most latter one until I get bored.
@Mario: I sense a directors cut for manchester, it feels like it need another 30 minutes.
@Kaiser: right up my valley. Watch Kenneth Lonergan's previous works Magaret and You Can Count on Me. Magaret is very messy but have a raw dialogue and interactions as well
Now the first episodes are over, I will keep on covering 3-gatsu, as for the other twos atm I have 3 options: 1) full romance/anti-romance high school Seiren/Scum's Wish. 2) slice-of-life moe monster girls Demi-chan/Maid Dragon and 3) Mature,dark Onihen/Acca (which although I like them I don't have much to talk about).If you guys have any preference on which shows you like covered then let me know
@Helghast: At this point I'm watching youjo senki as an entertaining guilty pleasure.
@Mario: Too many reboots upcoming, will wait for the dvds instead. I want to explore more of manchester by the sea's director's work. I also want to finally get more into Bela Tarr's stuff.
@Mario: I was rather shocked by A Ma souer/fat girls final act. Scenes with the Italian in the bedroom were initially creepy.
@Kaiser: it's a nice review Kaiser, a bit jealous with you that you've seen those 3 films which are touted as the best films of 2016. Also Fat Girl, haha, I love that movie.
Poor yotaro =< you have so much stuff going down on you =<
HelghastKillzone
Youjo Senki episode was so good today. That revamped scene with God just fitted so right.
A official release of that game in the west is apparently coming but it's been a few years and not much news about it.
@Aidan: Ah yes that was the one.
@Kaiser, Had to think for a moment on that one but I think I was talking about this. https://vndb.org/v3144
Now I'd hardly consider myself a studio trigger fan, but I watched the first witch academia episode there, it was actually kind of fun, got the same reaction from me as flipflappers did, that magical, special feeling.
@Mario: I also, of interest reviewed Kenneth Lonegrans new film: http://letterboxd.com/shao_liu_ringon/film/manchester-by-the-sea/
@Mario: Moonlight got some feels out of me though it could of been more, it ends abruptly and with 20 extra minutes they could have spent a bit more time on each section of his life.
@Mario: I checked out lala land, ending was very well executed, one of three scenes in the film that were impressive visually. The whole thing looked pretty and Gosling and Stone had some decent chemistry. Although it didn't resonate emotionally as strongly as the musicals of Jacques Demi did.
MOM I want aiyoku no eustia and I want it now.
I've never heard of himawari or tokyo babel. The hellsing comparison at least interests me in dies irae. What was the name of that visual novel again that was coming out soon, Aidan you described it as "And Kaiser would love it because its supposed to be really fucked up".
I vaguely remember the anime for 11 eyes, it was very forgettable, even the voice acting was poor, hated the childhood friends and the pacing was poor, those black knight things were kind of interesting though.
@Aidan: You'll have to add me onto the list of those unsatisfied with the ever 17 writer, I read one of those games and felt it was a bunch of interesting bait that never paid off.
Anyway I plan on doing a review of 11eyes here when I finish it.
Can't say I was a fan of Ever17. That was a really good twist but when it came to explaining it their was a lot of contrived development. Generally not a fan of the writer. Looseboy, Ryukishi, Gen and Nasu are more my kinda thing
@Anon, it is nice that so many VNs are on steam but I wish they wouldn't be stupid with the whole no adult content thing. Not so much for myself but to prevent idiots from writing negitives reviews because the game doesn't have sex. VNs can grip you in a way anime simply can't and while they require pathence and time those can be some pretty powerful stories.
@Aidan, I am so happy steam's so VN-friendly now. I think it's a very good type of media. Like anime, it has nice visuals, music and some movement but also the inner monologue and text amount of books. It's the perfect combination. Plus, the routes, which are often puzzle pieces and PoVs you have to go through to understand the whole story. True routes like the one of Ever17 blew my mind.
Hopefully the two VNs I bought of steam turn out better. Tokyo Babel is supposed to be alright and I heard really good things about Himawari.
I am about a third of the way through the game and really not much of worth has happened. The concept is interesting but the execution is sorely lacking.
I went in expecting it to be a mixed bag and it's pretty below my expectations. It's just not really well written and the protagonist is a moron. THere isn't really routes and instead you are pretty much stuck with his childhood friend as the main love interest. Problem with that is her character begins and ends with loving the main.
@Aidan, damn. 11Eyes is on my reading list as well. Although I almost expected it to not be as good as I thought it'd be (back then). Guess I would have enjoyed it if I was able to read it while the (shitty) adaption aired, maybe I have seen/read too many series by now. Guess I'll still give it a try some day though.
@Anon, I haven't heard the OST or watched the intro video. I only know it be reputation and have decided to walk into it as blind as I can. Still slightly worried as I was somewhat looking forward to reading 11Eyes for a couple of years and now that I am reading it it's well...not good.
@Aidan, same here. I was waiting years for this, since I saw the intro video for the first time. Also, that OST!
HelghastKillzone
Youjo Senki is already leagues better than Izetta. It's going to be top anime of forever and ever. (maybe not)
And finally Dies Irae is funded. May actually be able to play and finish the game before the anime airs. If the hype is real behind this baby it could be a new personal favorite Visual Novel of mine. Already looking promising with it being like a cross between Hellsing and Fate/Stay Night. Two things I most certainly like.
@Masky, in regards to style over substance thats where im at with Gurrne Lagann.
Yeah, I'll probably watch the next episode to see whether it can redeem itself. Hopefully it can but considering 1st episodes usually get a lot of budget, there's some severe doubt in there.
I actually argee with character designs and voices are bad in regards to female characters. Still the next episode might change your mind if we get more into the main characters head.
It's boring
Also, it seems I disagree with a lot of people in thinking Youjo Senki will be a massive trainwreck. The character designs are awful, the voice acting is mismatched but most of all the premise just seems so very dumb. If I wanted to watch a badass kill people I'd go watch Hellsing or Drifters, because at least those don't have some op, disproportionate loli as the mc.
Gets even more complicated when you account for Satire and Parody. You could equally argue all examples listed as being as such.
Little Witch Academia is a decontruction of Harry Potter....I don't believe that but honestly if I tried I could put some reasoning behind that statement.
In the end, it always comes down to opinion (as with every discussion about anime, for some reason). You could spin any and every series as a "deconstruction", which is why people shy away from using the word. You could argue NGE, Madoka and Re:Zero are all deconstructions yet also argue Gundam, Precure and SAO are depending on what points you weigh more importantly.
Like, if deconstruction is supposed to be just "break the elements and then play story how it would realistically go down" well I haven't watched NGE, but as far as I know it does have stuff that isn't typical to mecha genre besides the "It would fuck up kids" thing plus "realistically how it would play out" is pretty subjective thing. I mean, its mainly about how cynical bastard the writer is :P
Like I said, I don't fully agree with it because I find video's speaker's attitude annoying, but I found it semi convincing. Main thing I don't find convincing about it is that I don't think its hard to turn video's own arguments agaisnt it and say that by its own logic NGE isn't deconstruction either, like Aidan just said earlier
And I don't really have energy for checking out the "correct" one. If there even is one. Anyway, the hipster video I was talking about was titled "What Actually Is A Deconstruction?" if you want to check it out.
Hmm, well, it does depend on definition you use. Like if you use "realistic" thing, well, Magical Girl shows don't usually have "You turn into monsters" thing going on and reason why NGE's pilots go crazy is from dangerous situations rather than evas making them do so. But honestly, I don't really have strong opinion on matter since word seems to be one of those with several different meaning
for me Madoka IS a deconstruction of Magical girl, and yeah like what Aidan said
I think part of Utena is a deconstruction of "prince riding horse and save the girl" because that notion is just a foundation for Utena to become a prince herself and save other girl. That's breaking it apart and resemble it again in its own way. Don't have to be dark/ don't have to be real either
@Masky, That's just debating semantics. Besides that difinition would pretty much mean that Neon Genesis Evangelion isn't a decontruction either. Madoka isn't a decontruction because it's dark. It's more in its aspects of criticising why a girl should throw her ordinary life away for something as dangerous as being a magical girl. It does take plenty of the typical tropes and turn them on its head
@Masky: Genre deconstruction is such a tricky word that I normally try to avoid using because there's really no set characteristic about the term and different people have different opinions about what constitute "deconstruction". For me, I disagree that deconstruction have to be dark and real, hmm can't say it well but I will give you an example:
But yeah, I guess I could try to find the video if you guys are interested, though like I said, I got hipsterish feel from the video and felt rather annoyed through it even though I did get what the point was and found it sort of convincing besides my annoyance
(not that liking NGE is hipsterish, its just that I find NGE to be more style than substance sort of series <_< Anyway, guy didn't dislike madoka or anything, he just seemed to dislike people using word deconstruction wrong in his opinion)
(especially with how much they seemed to praise Neon Genesis Evangelion)
I mean, I think the guy was being somewhat hipsterish, but its true the being darker take on genre isn't same as deconstructing the genre
@AidanAK47: Some other guy on youtube did video that had actually pretty good point about how Madoka isn't really deconstruction, if you go by definition of "Break it down to parts and then play them straight to show how horrifying it would be in real life"
Gente - Ristorante no Hitobito
If anything its the hate I have for certain characters that makes it more effective.
The obsessional level of attachment is just uncomfortable to me, I don't want to get THAT attached to a non-real character.
Its literally just a case of "Okay lets look at this picture of this character, she looks interesting, no feelings or expression from me, apply this fetish, fap, get release, go home. "
Or drooling/dribbling/heavy breathing/grinning over the characters. I abhor alot of the anime girls I find attractive or am indifferent, even when looking at ecchi/hentai drawings I'm straight and clinical with it.
I mean to each their own. But I really hate the level of emotion/devotion to moe/finding the characters attractive. Such as celebrating their birthdays, going on about how cute/hot they are, how important it is that they're virgins. Or not being being self-aware of how irritating the characters are.
Anime hipster is pretty accurate. His general treatment of the current state of anime is annoying, as is his obsession with moe. Maybe its cause I cant stand moe most of the time, but it bugs me.
@Lenlo: Essentially my brothers view on digibro.
@Aidan: I don't usually feel the need to correct errors in your reviews as the errors are generally un-important, but I think you meant to say apprentices rather than appearences in the Rakugo review, just bringing that up as it felt like kind of a throw off.
Which is kinda like saying Madoka wasn't a magical girl deconstruction because Sailor Moon and Nanoha had dark elements too.
Went and read the reddit comments on it and seems I was right on the money.
@Lenlo, He's basically a anime hipster. For example, I saw a thumbnail of his which had Saitama on it and below it "Is There Meaning In "Subverting" Shounen Tropes?" and I thought "Okay, he's going to go on about how OPM isn't subversive and then list a bunch of arbitrary examples in an attempt to redefine what is actually subversive"
I have lots of issues with Digibro. Dude has some good points, but other very horrible ones. Some issues he feels strongly about and gets kinda biased on imo.
acca looks visually interesting, and I personally really dig this kind of show, but it seems that it's definitely not for everyone
Time to live up to my word. Four posts incoming.
Man, Little witch Academia was so good. I disagree with the whole Digibro thing about being able to recognise a great show in it's first episode but watching this makes me think that this really is going to be something special.
Alright, gonna put in effort today and have 3 or 4 first impressions posts done. That should knock out near half the season.
Had a flip through handshakers. Garish is the word I'd use to describe it visually, it takes you out of the show.
ASuperMario From the first minute I can already tell it's by the same people that made K. Those colour filters and the extremely jarring/obvious city CGI is unmistakable.
Hand Shakers, literally makes my hands shaking. It's an abosolute mess. Highly recommended to check it out because it's so terrible it's great to watch
Vonter212
Yeah, and it's also a literal woman in refrigerator plot device, since that the thing that pushes the story forward.
I'd say that having to hide your sister's body in fridge would count as daaaaaaark and edgy, but when the body is wearing only underwear, and for some reason main character put metal things in fridge to keep body standing(I guess to not knock fridge open from inside?) I think it goes to "exploitation" you are talking about
Vonter212
@Masky - Did someone said doing dark things for drama? That's the bread and butter to get despair. Unless it's for the sake of perversion. Then it's just exploitation.
@Masky: His other works dead tube and scumbag go further in the unhinged regard.
*relies on easy "let's do [x dark thing] for drama!" thing
Geez, Mayonaka no X Giten is fricking disturbing/disgusting ._. I'm pretty sure that writing relies on e, but I can't help but think mangaka is trying to make corpses sexy.
I found Onihei to be quite good, actually one of the most solid new episode I watched this new season. Guys, check them out
I just hope it doesn't fall into the same misstep Kabaneri or Inuyasha or Bleach fall by making a villain so over the top that it crossed the line of not having a satisfying downfall.
@Vonter I think they just moved on. I lost interest rather quickly and I guess even the fans did that at some point, like with some other long-running series. There is much more new and more direct "fujo" stuff out there, many of them probably switched. Don't know what happens in the manga but maybe the story got worse or contained things some people didn't like.
January will be loli dictator month (for me) :p. World Conquest Zvezda Plot, Youjo Senki: Saga of Tanya the Evil (new), Seraph of the End. For some reason I stumble into three curious series with little power hungry girls. If I can ask, why did Owari Seraph's hype died, I remember back it was mentioned more often. It still has the fujoshi fanart but still, I don't see people bringing it up.
@CATski: well, if you didn't like its first 3 episodes I dont think the rest gonna change your mind. Have you finished Erased then? How did you like it?
But I understand it's difficult to speak in front of camera, get some time to get used to it
@kaiser: I won't commend on poem as I'm terrible at it myself but younneed to work more on presentation Kaiser. Small little things like looking directly at the camera or say "thanks for listening" in the end can connect you to the audience better
Ok. I'll give the thing another chance. *clicks torrent* XD. CATski.
@Topgavin: You might like centaur no nanami if you like demi-chan.
Damn...repeated myself =<
There are these things called slam sessions done in bars where people get up and read out stuff in front of a crowd and read stuff out. Actually watching rakugo made me think about practicing for that kind of thing.
@Mario: the video I did was of me reading out a short piece of writing I did, a poem. lol I uploaded it to the wrong youtube account too I just realized =P
[link src="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypBZ2hBDBYs&t=11s
I"] was recording this from my mothers laptops inbuilt cam while reading off my desktop.
@Kaiser: I think it's a good idea for you to try out reviewing movies/stuffs in youtube channel. I'll be very interesting to listen to them
@Topgavin: Agree. Demi-chan was so charming. Definately one of my favorite so far this new season
Demi-chan's first episode was good. Like, really really good. That blonde-haired girl was hilarious, the teacher-student relationship between the MC and the girls is really interesting and the social/practical problems the demi's face make it look like my favorite show so far.
CATski
Ah... ok. Is it really that good or it's just one of those "artsy" animes that tend to get overrated by their ardent fans? I didnt find the rakugo bit interesting.... probably the weakest aspect of the show for me.
@Aidan: Why did I read that chapter. Why did I do that to myself.
Admittedly yes the premise is not for everyone, but if you stick with it, the flashback arc had some good character work in there.
CATski
Rakugo has a season 2? I watched ep 1 - 3 of season 1 then promptly deleted it. The loud "yankee" dude was annoying. And the anime was boring.
Oh man, I've been thinking lately of trying to start some kind of youtube channel. I did a few trial run videos. Its much much harder than it looks, didn't realize how nervy being in front of a video camera was.
*a declining art and rakygo halls are closing down

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 15

It was inevitable that Yotaro’s past with the Yakuza would come back to haunt him but boy did it really bite him in the ass. I was wondering as to how the show would work with Yotaro and give him conflict but then this episode comes along and gives him plenty to worry about. He’s […]

Little Witch Academia – 02[Pappiliodya]

I may regret choosing to cover this series as what makes it great is a quality that cannot really be held up to professional scrutiny. Much like Triggers other works, it’s not what’s being presented that matter but rather how it’s presented. You can make the argument that Trigger doesn’t necessarily innovative but rather take […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 13 [Black River (part 2) – Beyond the Door]

This week we have 2 disjoined chapters, which are different in tones and more importantly in their point of view. We go through the first section from Smith-san perspective detailing his own thoughts towards the match against Gotou, and the latter part Rei took the stage, being on his way to challenge Gotou in next […]

Saga of Tanya the Evil – 02[Prologue]

As I initially thought, this series becomes a whole lot better when you can see the disparity between the main protagonists thoughts and how those around her view them. The first episode jumped ahead in the story to where Tanya had established herself somewhat and I believe the intent was to mislead the audience with […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2, Chaos;Child, Marginal#4 KISS Kara Tsukuru Big Bang and Scums Wish

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2 Short Synopsis: Kazama stands trial after accidentally blowing up a lord’s manor while saving the town. This show certainly hasn’t lost it’s charm. I had the biggest smile on my face while watching and it even managed to get me laughing out loud at points. I will admit […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Onihei, Gabriel DropOut and ACCA – 13-ku Kansatsu-ka

Onihei Short Synopsis: A captured thief joins the police to hunt down his old leader. For a studio’s first work this is quite a solid offering. The beginning reminded me of samurai champloo though this seems more a traditional samurai story. Animation isn’t anything too impressive but it does the job and there is some […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Hand Shakers, Kemono Friends and Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon

Hand Shakers Short Synopsis: A boy holds the hand of a girl he finds in a hospital room and ends up in a supernatural battle to the death. GoHands, you know what would be great? If you know, instead of slapping on lens flares and colour filters all over the place, you just don’t do […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Little Witch Academia, Idol Jihen and elDLIVE

Little Witch Academia Short Synopsis: A normal girl goes to attend a academy for witches You know if the remaining 24 episodes are as great as this one this anime may end up on of my all time favorites list. Animation is great and full of personality, story is simple but fun and I had […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Spiritpact, Demi-chan wa Kataritai and Chain Chronicle – Haecceitas no Hikari

Spiritpact Short Synopsis: A boy is killed by a truck and finds himself teamed up with an exorcist as a ghost. Sorry China, by all means keep trying but this isn’t going to top Japanese animation any time soon. So what’s wrong? Well the animation is fairly basic, the characters are annoying and the comedy […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100