Posted by psgels on 6 June 2010 with categories: Full Metal Alchemist - Brotherhood

This is it: the episode to which the entire series has been building up to. Because the previous episodes weren’t exactly to this series’ highlights, I feared a bit for a lackluster ending, but those fears were ungrounded: this episode was absolutely fantastic and more than a worthy climax after such an amount of build-up. What an episode!

After a bit of fights that were meant to close off the last bits of character building (Scar, revealing that he shed his prejudices, and went along with his brother’s plans, gaining the strength he needed to surprise and win from Bradley; Ed’s revenge on Pride for what he did to Al (he didn’t outright say it, but to me it seems like he went after Pride for exactly that reason; if not he would have been the one to step up and save Mai Chang)), this episode was all about opening that gate. At this point it’s clear that Bones did not save some Xamdou-level animation for its finale, but with the resources they had they portrayed the euphoria of Father, who finally was able to reach his goals after putting an ungodly amount of work to reach “The Truth”, was really well portrayed. Father has really been an excellent villain so far: from start to finish, he remained in control.

The part in which the entire country was killed off was also very well done: haunting, especially seeing everyone just disappearing like that. The creators really made sure to show nearly everyone Ed and Al met disappearing. Aside from Yoki, perhaps. I’m not sure why he suddenly comes to my mind here, but he was surprisingly missing in those scenes.

Of course, they’re still not there: there are a bunch of nasty potential cliches between the end of this episode and the ending. Most notably, Father’s demise: he’s so powerful now. He’s huge, he’s incredibly close to the truth, and everything points to him achieving his plans. There are so many ways that can screw this plot up in the next three episodes. Let’s hope that the creators realized that as well and instead will deliver an awesome ending, rather than a cheesy shounen one.
Rating: **** (Fantastic)

1. egress63 says:

Oh don’t worry – the next episode is going to have your jaw on the floor…

As for the 62nd one, I am not so sure – I did am still ambivalent on the crucial aspect of the latest chapter – 107 (which is what I assume will get covered in episode 62).

I really am eagerly waiting for the 15th of June when the last chapter will come out.

2. Youki says:

HOHENHEIM! Why don’t you do something!? Seriously, if he doesn’t counter Father with something I’m gonna cry! He’s been around for THAT many years and knew about Father’s plan, so he should have something up his sleeve, right?!?!?! If you’ve read the manga, don’t spoil it. THIS IS SO EXCITING, DON’T RUIN IT FOR ME! xD

3. Acylia says:

This is just amazing. :D I hope they manage to handle the rest too!

4. Ec08tfa says:

As the series is actually following the manga it’s going to be awesome

5. Ian says:

Yoki was NOT missing. He was with Marcoh and Heinkel. Did you not see that? Did you not see anything? For this discrepancy, you get a spoiler:

6. rr101 says:

“Because the previous episodes weren’t exactly to this series’ highlights, I feared a bit for a lackluster ending”

7. karry says:

“I don’t know if I’m alone in this, but I thought 58 was one of the better episodes in the series.”

8. Cornwiggle says:

I don’t know why anyone would think the last couple of episodes weren’t good.

The last couple of episodes were some of the best.

I guess some people just have ADD and only respond with lots and lots of light and color like a cat having a shiny object in its face.

9. psgels psgels says:

Um, just for the record: I never meant to say that the past few episodes weren’t good, but rather that I liked this series more when it was building up to the promised day, bringing every character together and stuff. It’s got nothing to do with ADD or brightly coloured sparkles, though.

10. Ec08tfa says:

I personally didn’t get how the last episode were supposed to be lacking due to low budget but blog is one person opinion don’t like it don’t read it

11. Puran says:

It’s not really lacking, but it doesn’t have the really, really high production values of other Bones’ shows (Bounen no Xamdou for example, as psgels also mentioned)

12. lemon4life says:

“This blog is almost 4 years old, and people STILL dont get it, that psgels quite simply has a bad taste ?”

if you don’t like it then why do you read it?

anyway great episode =D really hope the actual ending is going to be good and if it isn’t, then Brotherhood is still way better than the first Full metal alchemist anime.

13. Kane says:

Holy shit.

First thing that came to mind when Earth’s Door was opened?

First thing that came to mind when Heaven’s Door was opened?

“This ain’t knocking on Heaven’s Door, baby, this is BREAKING AND ENTERING INTO HEAVEN AND KIDNAPPING GOD”

Incredible… just incredible… 4 stars well-deserved…

14. moo? says:

huh? First time I seen **** Fantastic, has he rated anything else this high before? lol

15. Jaysen says:

this was the SHIZY!!!!!
    idc wat any1 says but the father is a friggin beast.
    15th of june is gonna be the best day ever lol

16. Bruce says:

The last time you had **** it was labeled as incredible (IIRC, anyway)! I call lack of consistency, psgels!

17. Meep says:

Oooooooooooooooooooh snap. :3

18. psgels psgels says:

I know, last time I used incredible. That was a typo on my part.

19. specracer29 says:

This could either be one of the best anime endings in awhile or the biggest deus ex machina ending, but who knows Father did just take on God 1v1. I mean it could end with God just “bitch slapping” Father back to Earth.

20. billish says:

meh, it was better than the last few but the big-action episodes are still #1 (pride/kimblee vs. Al). No matter what happens in ending this anime is still better than most.

21. MarieLuise says:

I didn’t watch the episode yet and I am looking forward to it, but I read the manga and seriously, is it that incredible what father did and wanted? He had eternal life what else could he want then being god? I appreciate the mangakas work but that was an obvious conclusion for me. But maybe I am missing here something great beyond my imagination ;-)

22. Johnson says:

I thought the last manga was REALLY cheesy. So, I’d work those expectations down a little.

23. Jack says:

there will be 64 episodes in the end,so 4 more to go:

24. Cornwiggle says:

Al vs Kimblee is the most overrated fight in the series.

Once again proving that most of the people who post on these blogs don’t follow the actual story, but only respond to “PReTTy CoLOURs and AcTIOn, CuZ NAruTo ANd DrABvonALLS Are THE BesTeST ANIMES EVar!1!!”

Go back and take your Ritalin.

25. UnknownVoice says:

That depends on person reading.

For me, IMO, last chapter and the overall ending is 100% what FMA:Brotherhood was about.;

it fits both in tone and in moral to end it in such a way, as the story, sort of comes full circle

26. UmbrellaMan says:

Two words: Hell Yeah. This episode was epic. And what a cliff hanger. Is everyone really dead? Did father gain Gods power? It unfortunately looked that way to me. How is this going to end? (How will they stop evil maniacal bad guy from taking over and destroying the world?)The suspense is killing me!!!!

27. Hunter-Wolf says:

Nice episode (although kinda ruined it for myself cause i couldn’t wait and read the latest few chapters 103->107) … but i’m also greatly disappointed.

While the Death of the entire Amestris nation was epically done and was very creepy and haunting .. there are tons of other things that let me down.

Basically FMA:BH played the fine line between a Seinen and a Shonen series .. up until “Father” in the last episode got his so-called godly powers .. that a big break point IMO .. it delves deeply into the generic shonen area that has been done 1000 times already which greatly threatens all what the writer has been building up to and forecasts a cheesy shonen ending.

Actually an extremely similar plot is found in Bleach ****Bleach spoiler: basically Aizen wants to sacrifice an entire town population to gain enough power to unlock some God Realm and devour the deity there and become the so-called God”**** /end of bleach spolier .. and Bleach is one of the numerous shonen titles that has that exact same plot (even FF13 has a similar plot) .. and while FMA:BH has been good at masking and hiding Father’s goals/plans .. and until the lastest few episodes we never knew exactly what he wanted .. but now it’s all clear that it is the typical shonen villain goal .. sacrifice some people/get some item/ .. etc etc –> gain unfathomable incalculably immense power –> become some sort of pseudo-deity/god (for no reason whatsoever) –> get beaten by the hero or a bunch of teenagers in the most humiliating way possible to make the main character/s look as heroic as possible … BLAH.

The only saving grace for FMA is its interesting characters and the past struggle to reach that point .. but beyond it i’m afraid i see nothing but generic shonen crap … not to mention some End of Evanglion mixed in too (the Father/Earth Gate scene + Major Apocalypse vibe = End of EVA).

I loved (and still love) the first FMA cause the goal of Dante was something humanity have been seeking for ages and actually a goal that a lot would actually kill and do unspeakable things for (gaining perfect immortality and not having to change her rotting body every few years) .. a reasonable, achievable and even understandable goal … also the fact that the GATE in FMA was left a mystery was a great thing and added to the series .. all in all FMA was way more seinen than shonen to me .. and the ending (the series + the movie) is a testament of that .. it was open ended but satisfying (no God battles .. no ridiculously super powered villians .. no EVA style mumbo jumbo … etc etc)

Probably “Father” at this point breaks all power charts in the series to a ridiculous extent .. but what bugs me the most is that so called “god” the got captured by “Father” .. seriously .. just by opening the gate of earth (a single planet) “father” was able to absorb that so-called god from the sky with ZERO effort and zero struggle from that god (who was waiting all that time for Father to come and capture him) .. what kind of god is that … he didn’t say a thing nor even fight back (while all the characters could) .. i doubt that entity is even a god of any sort (hopefully that will turn out to be the case in the ending) cause i haven’t seen a single sign of his god hood.

Besides .. if it was really some sort of god .. is it the one that created the universe, sun, earth and people in FMA:BH world .. cause if it is … then “father” shouldn’t even be able to touch that entity even if he opened the gate of the SUN or even the entire galaxy (if they have gates that is).

Basically the whole thing doesn’t make any sense even within the context of FMA:BH world (very reminiscent of EVA) .. ****Arikawa better have a good explanation for all that mess in the final chapter/episode.**** .. i haven’t lost all hope yet.

But seriously .. still … Arikawa completely destroyed “Father” as a good villain in this episode .. i always thought he seeked knowledge or had some interesting goal .. not the same goal that generic shonen villains has been seeking since the stone age (GOD POWER !!!) .. sigh .. even Orochimaru from Naruto is way above that .. he seeked immortality (and seeked Sasuke’s Sharingan “Ninja-technique-copying-power”) in order to be able to research and learn all sorts of ninja techniques .. he is driven by his strong hunger for knowledge and curiosity and would do anything for that .. which makes him tons more human and tons more believable than that shonen God power crap.

/End of Rant

28. Hunter-Wolf says:

Basically FMA:BH played the fine line between a Seinen and a Shonen series .. up until “Father” in the last episode got his so-called godly powers .. that a big break point IMO .. it delves deeply into the generic shonen area that has been done 1000 times already which greatly threatens all what the writer has been building up to and forecasts a cheesy shonen ending (but since everything isn’t over yet there is a still hope to avert it).

29. Hunter-Wolf says:

Actually an extremely similar plot is found in Bleach ****Bleach spoiler: basically Aizen (main villian in Bleach) wants to sacrifice an entire town population to gain enough power to make some KEY to unlock some God Realm and devour the deity there and become the so-called God of Bleach world”**** /end of bleach spoiler .. and Bleach is one of the numerous shonen titles that has that exact same plot (even FF13 has a similar plot) .. and while FMA:BH has been good at masking and hiding Father’s goals/plans .. and until the lastest few episodes we never knew exactly what he wanted .. but now it’s all clear that it is the typical shonen villain goal .. sacrifice some people/get some item/ .. etc etc –> gain unfathomable incalculably immense power –> become some sort of pseudo-deity/god (for no reason whatsoever) –> get beaten by the hero or a bunch of teenagers in the most humiliating way possible to make the main character/s look as heroic as possible … BLAH.

30. Hunter-Wolf says:

Sorry for duplicate posts .. i refreshed several times but the initial long post never showed up so i though i had to split it up and post it .. sigh XD

31. han hyo joo says:

i am tired of the people who say this idea is cliche ,well it is ,but was well executed ,is because our human imagination had executed probably all the ideas about what a villian want and i think these things is all a human can think ,so if you are genius create your own absolutely original plot but for example i cant think of anything more ,the important thing is this was well executed ,not super original because in these days probably anything is 100% original

32. han hyo joo says:

enjoy it because is enterteining don’t make hard your life ,finally anything is perfect for me full metal is good and point

33. han hyo joo says:

and also i am not the true han hyo joo ,i am only a fan of her

34. Cornwiggle says:

Keep in mind Father’s goal is to become the perfect being. Of course he would devise a way to “absorb God” into himself.

That’s what he’s been calculating for centuries.

35. Hunter-Wolf says:

@han hyo joo

I’m not demanding 100% original .. anything remotely interesting will do (like the first FMA series ending) .. but not something so freaking cliche i have lost count of how many anime/jap games have that exact same plot.

And yes .. FMA:BH is well executed .. but that new revelation about “father’s” true goal (and his inferiority complex) is like a black stain on a beautiful red dress .. completely ruins the whole dress.

Like i said .. main villains like Orochimaru in generic shonen series like Naruto is way better and has more interesting and plausible goals (same as Dante from FMA) .. the whole “villain wants to become GOD or gain GOD POWER” is both silly and way overdone … not to mention completely broken .. Greek mythology handled the whole (Men Vs Demi-Gods Vs Gods) way better than any Jap anime.

36. Hunter-Wolf says:

like i said before .. the whole premise is broken on various levels.

If he was able to absorb that so-called deity that easily (without any struggle or big fight) then he already was more powerful than that so-called God at that point .. which makes absorbing him completely pointless to begin with.

Besides .. again .. like mentioned in my post above .. there has been ZERO proof of that creature’s god hood … what kind of god would sit silent waiting for some homonculus to grow that powerful then come over and absorb him like a sponge … not to mention that can’t be the same god that created the universe in FMA:BH world cause it’s ought to be way more unapproachable than that .. not just some high power level that can be attained by leveling up or gaining more power levels (like “Father” did .. copying every single generic shonen villain before him) .. there are very few shonen series that actually manage to keep track of everyone’s power levels (FMA:BH was like that until the last episode)… and those definitely don’t involve any ridiculously super powered pseudo-deity villains.

37. kagura says:

I agree with you that a villain wanting to become a God is as cliche as it can be, and that it’s already been done many times before, but I fail to see how exactly Dante’s goal from the first FMA is superior to Father’s from FMA-B. I mean, immortality is considered to be one of God’s attributes (as long as by “God” we understand “an omnipotent being, a creator and overseer of the universe” etc.); so, seeking immortality is the same as seeking a way to become a being similar/closer to God; and from there there’s only one small step to wanting to become a God himself. That’s why I don’t feel like Dante’s goal was any more ambitious, or any more original (not to mention than seeking immortality in itself isn’t very original and has also been done thousands of times before)… But that’s the only thing in your comment I don’t exactly agree with. As for the rest, my opinion is similar to yours. Arakawa could’ve come up with something more interesting/original… but oh well, it’s not like I’m loving FMA as a whole any less because of that.

PS. As for the villains in shounen anime/manga, One Piece takes the cake in that field for me. There’s not even one villain there who seeks immortality/godlike powers/world domination/world destruction or other similar nonsense. It’s like a breath of fresh air after Naruto, Bleach and a bunch of other shounen series out there.

38. Reach says:

The last page of the manga, ever, is out….and tons and tons and tons of pages of spoilers that aren’t even the whole chapter. Will it really reach the 150 mark?

39. ama-ri says:

Basically his aim is not having godlike power to rule the world, blah, rather it is to set himself apart from humans, he despised and envied at the same time. As said before: he wants to be the perfect being -> being better than humans (as you can see in the homunculi, which originally WERE a part of him.) his grudge started back in xerxian times when he was in that flask, not being able to leave it. he wanted to be superior to them because he was always inferior. Swallowing god (which I think isn’t really god but my conclusion would include spoilers for the manga) is just one part of his goal to be superior than humanity and especially hohenheim.

Yes, it’s not the most original thing, however it’s not like it’s not justified.

not everything I said is written that way in the manga/shown in the anime. I had the freedom to interpret some things to fill the gaps.

And, please, Dante was one of the most boring and flat villains I’ve ever seen. Ok maybe that thing from Kuroshitsuji was worse. I tend to call it Dante2 though. Dante totally ruined the first series for me. And that’s not just because I’m a die-hard FMA Manga fan.

40. Kane says:

This is a warning for psgels and other non-manga readers:

Two pages from Chapter 108 have been leaked and they spoil a lot of stuff. Watch out, especially as you go around social networking sites like Livejournal and Devianart (if you do).

41. Hunter-Wolf says:

I don’t think humans seek immortality because it’s an attribute of god .. cause even some who don’t believe in a god also want immortality .. basically it’s humanity’s fear of death .. or what’s beyond death .. the fear of having their existence and bodies wither away and decay .. not to mention throughout history there are tons of people who tried to look for/make immortality potions … as well as the aspect of it being somewhat will be achievable by science in the future (not real immortality .. but close)

And actually i don’t remember that many villains in shonen that seeked immortality because they feared/hated dying and decaying (like Dante).

And i didn’t mean Dante’s goal was more ambitious .. just more achievable, plausible and human (you can sympathize with her on some level) .. her goals don’t involve world dominion or destroying the world or anything .. she just wanted perfect immortality .. plain and simple.

And yeah .. some of the villains in OnePiece (and they are many) are quite interesting … but what i’m really sad for is for Naruto to have the most interesting villain i saw in a while (Orochimaru) .. but still .. **Spoiler** the main villain (Uchiha Madara) in Naruto wants to do something similar to “Father” **Spoiler** .. AGAIN the same cliche.

42. Hunter-Wolf says:

But there are problems with that logic .. he never really needed to do any of that.

1-Just by opening the earth gate was was already more powerful than any human or chimera or creature on earth .. he even was more powerful than any human before he opened earth gate (he easily defeated and swallowed Hoenheim and all attacks had zero effect on him).

2-That thing that he calls God which he absorbed wasn’t even powerful enough to fight back .. what’s the point of devouring it if he was already more powerful than all humans (including Hoenheim) and even more powerful than that entity he absorbed .. talk about “overkill” .. that’s more of reason what happened in chapter 107 by “Edward” feels kinda cheesy and doesn’t fit very well with the tone of the series/story (manga readers will understand) XD

43. Ian says:

Not exactly a spoiler, but know that for anything to be done about the pickle the heroes are now in, it will NOT be a deus ex machina. Preparations were made and foreshadowed in earlier episodes. Hell, there may even be a flashback to that scene in that episode where the foreshadowing was made. I just can’t tell you what it is not just because I’d give it away, but I honestly can’t remember which episode it was in. Just know it was there, and it will have something to do with whatever is going to happen next, which I and many other people already know.

44. Hunter-Wolf says:

I do know it won’t be a Deus Ex Machina … that’s it’s only saving grace though … other than that it’s too much into the territory of mediocrity and cliche .. Arikawa manged to keep thing interesting to this point .. but sadly once Father’s true goals were revealed it all felt “meh” (i was hoping for something more interesting or unusual) … still we have the final chapter .. hope she can pull-off a good ending.

Also .. saw some discussions that refer to FMA:BH Episodes 2 and Pantheism (Pantheism as being the inspiration for Arikawa’s “Truth”) .. in Ep 2 “The Truth” clearly says to young “Ed” the he is “Everything”, “God”, “The Universe” .. and then points at ED saying .. “and YOU” .. i wonder how this relates to what’s happening in the series now !!!? (that view fits quite well with the views of Pantheism)

Oh .. and watch out everyone .. there are already 67 pages of chapter 108 RAW out there .. couldn’t resist taking a look at them .. GAH .. my mistake … now i can’t wait to read it anymore XD

45. Denizen says:

God, these comments.

I like how nowadays, Villains with plausible motives or reasonable ideas are now OVERDONE and STALE, and yet aiming low and wanting pitifully dumb results (immortality or political change or whatever) when you could be gaining much much more is somehow fresh and “realistic”.

There’s a reason the generic plans for a villain involve “becoming God”, because everyone wants to fucking BE God.
    If you know that the planet has stored information on everything, and that you have the means to become an incredible force of power and knowledge, then why wouldn’t you? Especially if you’re an artificial being uninterested in generic human values.

You can stick to generic Shounen trying to be “deep” or “original”, but don’t go bashing a manga intended to be a homage to B-Movie madness because it’s not trying to be pretentious.

46. kagura says:

Yeah, I see your point, but still, seeking immortality is, in a way, forcefully stepping into God’s realm, or playing God, regardless of it being intentional or not… so I just don’t see Dante and Father’s goals as much different, at least in that matter.

And I didn’t mean that seeking immortality is a common theme only in shounen manga/anime, or even in manga/anime in general; what I meant is that it’s already been done many times before in books, movies, etc., and it’s a horribly cliched concept however you look at it. That’s why I can’t really see Dante as a more interesting villain than Father. They’re just equally not interesting to me. But I understand that you may have a different view on that matter, and it’s alright.

As for Orochimaru, yeah, I agree that his having a different goal that lay beyond achieveing immortality, makes him quite an interesting villain. And I wasn’t exactly pleased by the way they handled his plot in Naruto… (but then again, I wasn’t pleased with lots of other things in Naruto, for example ***SPOILER*** reviving Kakashi and all the villagers of Konoha ***END OF SPOILER***) and I’m pretty fed up with Naruto at this point… the same with Bleach… One Piece is probably the only ongoing shounen that I still find interesting and enjoyable (to say the least), even after that huge amount of episodes/chapters, so I’m glad you agree with me about the villains in OP.

47. Hunter-Wolf says:

But Orochimaru himself is proof seeking immortality has nothing to do with wanting to become a God .. his reason is pretty simple (yet deep) one … and yes acquiring all sorts of knowledge or being all-knowing is an attribute of God-hood but still he isn’t doing it for any more reason than fulfilling his own thirst for knowledge about ninja techniques and sheer curiosity … and yeah .. it’s sad how they handled his story in Naruto .. he had lots of potential.

As for the Naruto spoiler … hmmm .. doesn’t it remind you of something else more recent (hint hint) XD

If by “plausible motives or reasonable ideas” you mean “becoming GOD” then i have nothing to discuss with you .. and that just made me LOL hard XD

48. Reach says:

@Hunter-Wolf: And you read what they wrote in all the wrong ways. Read it again and maybe your intelligence will kick in and you WILL have something to say.

49. Bobby says:

Dante as the overall boss SUCKED BALLS in the first FMA. all of these powerful homunculi essentially taking orders from some person whose main objective was… to hop from body to body in an attempt to stay alive??!! really??!! gigantic letdown after a great buildup.

i think father motives are totally justified. the dude started out as a friggin’ blob in a flask, of course he’s gonna have a napoleon complex and want to rule every thing (LOL). besides he doesn’t give a rat’s (DONKEY) about humanity, he said so himself, he was originally created for knowledge and gaining godhood is the ultimate way to learn as much about everything as he can.

great ep. i always thought that the slash wounds bradley gave scar from his shoulders to his chest should have been more damaging than they appeared to do; is scar on PCP or novocaine or something? (LOL)

50. Helle says:

This episode was so exciting, I actually got something in my eye. Haven’t been this carried away for a looong time :) I absolutely love this series. No matter where it goes from here, it’s most definitely going to end up amongst my favorites. Although I share your worries psgels.

51. Zombie says:

anyone noticed that the music played when Father was talking about openin the gate , WAS AWESOME ..

52. Kane says:

“is scar on PCP or novocaine or something? (LOL)”

This makes me wonder: if Scar’s alchemy is a blend of East and West, does this mean he also has the ability to do healing like Mei did to herself this episode? ‘Cuz the dude really needs it about now…

And if Scar’s on Novocaine, that’s doubly so for Bradley. The guy has a friggin’ BULLET still in his right shoulder and yet he’s swinging those swords around like nothing… hahaha… though it looks like his stab wound is kinda serious since he threw up blood here…

53. ntd says:

You said Orochimaru’s goal to seek knowledge is deep and interesting, but isn’t Father’s goal just the same? Becoming God is one thing, the main purpose behind that is like he said: to obtain knowledge of a vast universe far beyond any human brain’s ability to process. And in the FMA universe, knowledge equals to power. What Father is seeking is all the knowledge of the world, and obtaining God is his way to achieve that goal.

As for why the so-called God guy is so weak, I say because it’s not the almighty God in a conventional way. For now I can just see it as the planet’s Truth (just like Ed’s Truth or Al’s Truth). What really is Truth? We don’t know yet, better wait a little longer for the last chapter to come out to see if there’s some more light about it.

54. Truth says:

There probably won’t be more light shed on Truth at the end. You all should just read about Kabbalah is you want to understand “God” in FMA-verse. It’s all there.

55. Truth says:

People over in the West are too stuck on the idea of monotheism and possibly polytheism, but there are other things too. Like Hunter-Wolf said there’s Pantheism which is so clearly what Truth falls under if you pay attention to even the smallest things. If you look further Arakawa obviously based everything in FMA on Kabbalah. Read between the lines people! Don’t wait for the answers to be handed to you at the end!

56. Hunter-Wolf says:

I think those you claim i have read their comments in the wrong way can reply by themselves .. they don’t need you to do so for them … 2nd .. please act more mature and refrain from personal insults .. they only make you look like a childish brat.

Yeah, except he never claimed to be genuinely interested in knowledge or curious about it … only interested in the whole “absorbing God” thing as a means of becoming a “god” himself (like i mentioned once to overcome his inferiority complex) .. but again it wasn’t even necessary .. he was already extremely powerful and knowledgeable before he did it.

Well … the whole “becoming God” thing is frustrating for several reasons not just one or two.

1-Overly done and extremely cliche in Jap-anime .. hundreds of anime villains have already done that .. and every single time it is the same exact scenario and same exact ending.

2-It’s a DEAD END every freaking time it happens, and nothing happens after it … the main villain just claims to have reached god-hood (accompanied by some maniacal laughter and claims that nothing can stop him now) only to be shortly kicked in the face and defeated by the main character/s .. every freaking time.

3-The so called villain always claims to have reached god-hood but never once did they show any sign of it more than just overpowered versions of their previous skills/powers/abilities .. making the whole becoming God a trivial matter of leveling up “RPG style” and hitting the level cap .. which is a very laughable concept really … the only series that got it right was Rahxephon IMO … Rahxephon spoiler **** in the end of Rahxephon when the main character attained some sort of god-hood he felt really different and otherworldly (and ended up reforming the entire world from what i understood)**** /end of spoiler.

4-Some occasions of the becoming god thing involve defeating a previous entity that attained god hood and taking its power … but again like i said before .. if said entity can already be defeated by the villain before he attained god-hood .. then defeating it and absorbing its power is a completely POINTLESS venture.

5-In most cases that godly villain is defeated by the power of love/friendship/courage/… etc etc .. although that’s not entirely true in FMA .. those who read chapter 107 will get this point … WARNING FMA manga spoiler **** when Ed starting punching “father” with an arm that just got impaled by a thick metal bar it felt really cheesy .. specially with everyone deciding to watch and cheer gleefully .. that really felt way out of place and not in the spirit of the series” / END of spoiler.

I can keep going as to why the whole “becoming God” is an extremely overdone (read 60% or more of shonen series) and cheesy hollow premise that detracts of the story 99% percent of the time and doesn’t add anything meaningful .. actually it’s rare to actually see villains with reasonable goals that actually are attainable and actually they can succeed in them and the story would still have place for more developments afterwards .. meaning that even if Dante achieved her perfect immortality or Orochimaru obtained all the ninja techniques .. it’s not and “end all” event .. there would still be room for developments for both the characters and the stories they are in (even if not explicitly shown).

57. Cornwiggle says:

First off, in FMA, “God” or rather Truth was introduced right at the beginning, setting up that there was some sort of higher power in this story.

So it’s not thrown out of left field.

Secondly, if you really think the story is going nowhere now, you’re sadly mistaken.

58. light019 says:

I think some people are being overtly picky. FMA isn’t perfect but many people seem to focusing on its minor problems rather than looking at what it does right. FMA is a brilliant anime and those most of the criticisms are making a mountain out of a molehill.

59. Johnson says:

Warning: potential spoilers (not really; I’m going to be vague but if you don’t want to take chances, don’t read)

@UnknownVoice: Even the thing Greed said about friends? I thought that was the lamest shit ever. He’s a motherf**king Homonculous for crying out loud.

I mean, FMA is geared toward teenagers, so what do you expect, right?

60. Bobby says:

@ Hunter-Wolf

i see what you’re trying to get at, but the whole trope about “Big Bad wants to be all-powerful” is not just a anime/manga thing, most good/bad stories usually have the heroes facing someone trying to become god-like/supreme, be it lord of the rings, harry potter, etc. bad guys love/want power, THAT’S WHY THEY’RE BAD (lol). if it’s executed well it works. and i think FMA has done it well.

the entire series Father has been Joe Cool, totally in control and essentially about 5 chess moves ahead of everybody else. he is a TRUE top villain compared to Dante who like i said earlier was weaker than her minions and had a (MALE COW FECES) ultimate goal IMHO.

right now really feels like a titanic battle, you know good will prevail cuz that’s how it always plays out but you don’t know HOW it will happen, who will die, if mustang/ed/al will get their bodies restored or if somehow a twist will be introduced (like how ed/al were separated in diff. worlds at the end of the 1st series), who will take over amestris (mustang or olivier or somebody else), if mustang/hawkeye etc. will be punished for the military crimes in ishval etc.

SO MANY INTRIGUING subplots, and that’s IF they defeat Father. so uh, YEAH, the badguy god-thing can work if well executed.

61. theone says:

@hunter wolf

Cool story Bro.

62. PicoPallino says:

@Bobby: you didn’t read the manga it seems. So prepare for a big disappointment about all the intriguing subplots.

63. 4saken says:

I think people should stop using manga spoilers to prove their points.

64. Hunter-Wolf says:

Ok ok .. no need for that anymore .. i actually looked at the final chapter RAW and i tell it was worth it (guess that doesn’t qualify as a spoiler XD).. actually after reading a little about Pantheism things make more sense … oh .. and “Father” is an idiot for not reading about “Pantheism” too /sarcasm XD

Can’t wait for it to be translated and animated .. gahhhh .. the wait will be very painful .. i’ll have to imagine i never saw the RAW .. maybe self-hypnotization will help .. forget .. forget .. forget *stares at a swinging pendulum* XD

Huh !!!? .. what am i doing here XD

65. Bobby says:

i totally have read the manga (waiting for the last chapter) so i don’t get why you’re necessarily pessimistic about the subplots i brought up. ed and al have been trying the whole series to get their bodies back, and i’d assume that a character as popular as mustang wouldn’t be left blind as well. SOMEBODY has to take over the country if bradley/the homunculi aren’t in charge and right now (as of ep. 60 so as not to spoil anything) olivier’s faction is being painted as the traitors and mustang’s forces are also in play (so is grummann to some extent) so that subplot can totally be resolved. whether hawkeye/mustang etc. get punished for basically being unwittingly used by the homunculi to commit genocide is another matter but it has been raised in the story so it could also be addressed. and some more good guys beyond fu/buccaneer can totally kick the bucket before the end. none of my subplots is hard to resolve at all within the last chapter IMO, just saying.

66. Reltair says:

2 more episodes to go? I want to see how they decide to deal with Father.

67. PicoPallino says:

I’m not pessimistic and I don’t say that the subplots cannot be resolved in the last chapter. I referred with my thoughless post more to the overall impression the ending made on me (last chapter of the manga). The ending is okay, because it fits the story. But I expected something more. That’s the disappointment I talked about. Maybe you will feel the same after reading (or watching) the end? Or maybe not? We’ll see :-)

68. Cornwiggle says:

There’s not two episodes to go:

Let us count:

61: 1
    62: 2
    63: 3

And I’ve heard there’s also going to be a 64.

But it’s at least three.

69. Tiger says:

HAH! I KNEW you were gonna add another star to the chapter 104 episode. I just KNEW it.
    … 3 more episodes? Assuming each ep gets one chapter, the 110 page long final chapter (which was GOURGEOUS, btw.) would become a movie, maybe? *hopes*

70. Tiger says:

@Mario, starting to think I didn't need my help after all. I hope they make something worthwhile.
On a unrelated note the Dark Souls 3 DLC boss is serious bullshit.
Hey Aidan, thqt Kickstarter project Mecha-ude has passed its goal (nearly double now with 10 more days to go). Seems like people getting real hype for it
Wonder if Bam has played the new Dark Souls DLC. Found it rather lacking when compared to previous DLC from the last games.
@Anon, it's just a video of a still image of anime girls in bikini's with a red circle around one of their chests. Seeing as this thing has no views or subscribers my guess is someones is fishing for views. To which i say...what really is the point of making videos if this is the only way you can get people to watch them?
[link src="
I"] hate this crap that they corrupt anime with (crappy video that insults anime)
So RWBY's back. I actually miss the whole RWBY team. Still prefer Ruby's old custom more. Nora looks cool.
With the fourth episode, Vivid Strike seems to have crossed an invisible line that makes it more like the original Nanoha shows rather than Vivid. The kind of brutal beatdown delivered by the co-protagonist and the build up to it is something quite alien to a normal SoL/Sports anime show.
Ep. 4 of Tiger Mask was a lot better than the last 3, quite a hyped fight that was a full 6mins long. Will continue watching in hope of an awesomely long final fight.
Going back to the fanservice topic, its very easy to complain about it in anything but then something actually comes along that actually does it for you. I mean I always say that I don't watch a show/movie for its fanservice elements and stick with pictures on image boards, but then I ended up seeing a film where I actually got something out of the fanservice while watching the film its.
The oujia prequel was competent genre fare, the director cared about the characters and every now and the built up a decent mood. Although jump Scares are there . And I always appreciate a horror film having a mean spirited ending. One of the rare cases where the young actors do well in a horror film. The pace is a bit uneven, rushed and a bit laggy .
In the sense of how messed up/especially bleak those two episodes were.
There was the sense too with both those episodes of "Jesus...I wasn't ready for that...."
Though the first episode of the first season and the third episode of season 3 are very hard to beat. Adding to what I thought of s3 ep3 I felt that one hit me on the same level as s1 ep1 did so.
Though in previous seasons I generally only really liked 2 out of the 3.
@Kaiser, though the previous seasons where only 3 episodes long and you enjoyed 3 out of 6 in this season. So yo essentially get the same amount of enjoyment as previous seasons.
Based on my comments, it looks like I had a mixed reaction to the third season. Three out of six, but the great was was great and forgives it but I still feel that there was more of a consistentancy in quality in the other seasons. I enjoyed every story in seasons 1 and 2.
The final episode felt like a movie all on its own, I'd have gladly watched another thirty minutes of it, ending was a nice punch in the gut.
Just finished black mirror season 3. I hear people basically complaining that it's not as strong as the previous two season but I disagree. I really enjoyed this and this is a show that deserves much more episodes. Personal favorite is between shut up and dance and hated in the nation. Worst I thought was San Junipero. Overall thought each episode was interesting.
On the upside I loved black mirrors fifth episode, I'm a sucker for war/action-dramas and I particularly liked the tech in this one.
Yeah this is impossible for me to sit through, the romance part is also rather dull.
Eh, this fourth episode is plodding and trite, feels like a bad, poorly dated 90s film.
@Aidan: Third episode also instilled a great sense of paranoia.
@Kaiser: thanks for that mate. I have too much to say for Flipflappers but to put them all in coherent flow is goddamn hard. And like I said I still fell I left many details out: that gung-ho potato or Yayaka and the twins
@Friend: jugding from the last convention I went to, people loved Re:Zero customs (Emilia and Rem, Ram were highlights. Or you could try RWBY characters (I for once love to see someone cosplay Pirrha Nikos or Velvet Scarlatina)
@Aidan: Didn't care much for new black mirrors second episode, then again I'm not really the target for that story. The third episode while a bit heavyhanded and predictable was suspenseful, nasty/mean and I liked that about it, did in 50 minutes what some thrillers fail to achieve in two hours.
Holo is a good one :0
Materials aren't a problem at all for the most part, except for anything too crazy like working in brass. I'd prefer it to be characters I'm familiar with.
Does it matter to you that they're from shows that you like, or are you just in it for the challenge?
@Friend Aidan has some good ones there. I'd also give the cast of Akame ga Kiru a shot, I don't like the series but it has a lot of neat character designs.
I was thinking simple as I didn't know what kind of materials you got on hand. I was also thinking of Holo from spice and wolf or Kino from Kinos journey either.
Mm, Tatsumaki might be not challenging enough to design for. Doesn't Shiki simply wear either a coat or Japanese kimono? I do work in set design and not in character prop design, but I'd love to try something that would let me reasonably challenge myself.
@Friend, Spit balling here but Tatsumaki from One Punch Man? I know the costume for that one would be simple enough. Or maybe Shiki from Kara No Kyoukai?
*I don't want to do anything too complex for my first try, but I also don't want to do anything boring. Boring would be a character like Rukia or Celty. Any ideas?
I remember talking about this with Emma/Kaiser before, but has anyone here gone cosplaying at an expo before? I thought it would be neat to try designing my own costume and try something else beside drawing on a computer.
@Kaiser, I am up to episode 4. 3 has been the best one so far.Though in all these episodes I pretty much figured out the twist from the get go. Still this shows always tends to get you thinking.
I think the roles/identity thing with flipflappers, at least with the protaganist does fit in well with adolescence.
@Aidan: I've only seen the first episode so far. I felt the acting was intentional and reflected the satire Brooker was going for on the shallow nature of society. Bleak as ever but gloriously grotesque.
@Mario:Good in depth reviewing there Mario of flipflappers episode three.
Good god this first episode of black mirror is hard to watch. I know exactly how it's going to turn out but it's just so damn painful to watch.
Well, tbh up to where I've seen there's not much explicit yaoi in yuri on ice, only a lot of fujoshi fuel.
@Kaiser. thanks for the torrent. Gonna blaze through this today.
@Topgavin, as someone who watches a metric ton of anime I am rather surprised at that estimate that 90% of it contains Yuri.
My god those gay scenes in Yuri on Ice are hard to watch for me. Wonder if this is how it feels to be a girl watching 90% of normal anime nowadays.
okay, Flip Flappers episodic review was up. This is my lengthiest weekly review so far and I still feel I missed a lot of points. Damn you Flip Flappers
You have seen the light, not needing to know everything thats happening to enjoy something ^_^
I've given some consideration to reviewing that oujia film followup.
Whether you see one or the other is entirely up to your preferences, so it makes no difference to me which is worse. I have gotten very tired of generic character types, but again that's just because of the things I decide to regularly follow.
I will say if it must come down to either unnatural dialogue or unnatural character types, at leas the character type is speaking their own words and not the words of the script writer.
Or was that a black and white fallacy? Maybe it was a little of both.
@Realjustified, K-Off wasn't agreeing with me. That's a Moving the Goal Posts logical Fallacy but well I will answer regardless. Honestly it's preferable to have neither. The big mistake you are making here is that you are putting down a condiction that a show must have one or the other. But both cartoons and anime can have both. I just think it's a lot more prominent in cartoons than anime.
Like, having read hundreds of harem manga over the years, a majority of the ultimate love interest always happens to be the first girl the protagonist meets.
Wait wait wait wait. Aidan and K-Off. I get that dialogue in cartoon can seem like it was written by a script writer, but at the same time, lots of anime have characters whose sole purpose is entirely scripted. The whole spectrum of "deres" and everything. What do you think is worse? Unnatural dialogue, or unnatural character types?
You guys should really go fuck yourself, it's a solution and it's nothing short of great!
You guys should really watch the first 4 episodes of Bungo, it's a prequel and it was nothing short of great!
omg!! I just realized To be Hero was one of the show that I reviewed its 1st episode back in Chinese Animation post. I watched raw then though
forgive me if I'm a bit too overwhelmed by Flip Flappers... For this episode alone I took like 25 screenshots...trying to write a review now...
I have absolutely no idea what is going on in Flip Flappers plot. And yet for some reason I am OK with that.
Anyone out there that's a fan of crude humor should go watch ep.3 of To Be Hero. Certinately stepped it up a notch from the last two humor-wise.
One downside I can think of already is that I'm bound to lose or break one of the detachable controllers. The cost for those pieces is what I'm most interested in.
Nintendo Switch hmm? Honestly it looks too good to be true. I expect some major downsides to this thing.
I like cartoons, don't get me wrong. Certainly good for a change of pace. But there is something about the way they are written that I find rather distracting.
I don't know, maybe if I said it's like the difference from how characters talk in movie vs how characters talk in a sitcom?
@K-Off, I said one liner's or jokes. Not one liner jokes. It's hard to explain. Basically when I hear a conversation in anime even if it is based in stereotypes, it at least feels like a conversation that's being had in the moment. In cartoons however there is a layer of artificiality and it feels like characters know what a person is going to say and has a response prepared.
That's probably why some of my favorite anime in recent years haven't been very heavy on character archetypes, or were either parodies of it.
Comedic dialogue with anime in recent years have leaned too much on the idea of playing off character archetypes. The collected character vs the energetic character, for one. I'd like to see more variety. Some more word play, hyperbolic humor, body humor, etc etc.
@Aidan Not quite sure what you mean by that, because it's certainly not even a majority of cartoons that rely on cheap one liner jokes. I suppose it's entirely up to taste, but I can appreciate the energy in cartoons like Steven Universe or Regular Show when compared to the increasingly repetitive dialogue found in some recent anime.
@Topgavin: I just read that review and his main reason being Shelter is pretentious. oh well! Can't never please anyone.
Thought I'd check out the reviews for Shelter on MAl and the top review is a 1/10. Apparently because it's a cute girl we sympathise with her more, which is bad because reasons. I mean.. what? MAL never ceases to amaze me
@Mario, no. It's more that the dialogue keeps trying to push out one liners or jokes regardless of whose talking.
@Aidan: maybe because they spoke in your native language do you can feel that it's artificial, ya know? I know I have the same problem with Vietnamese drama/ cartoon and maybe Japanese people have that same issues with anime?
By which I mean, the way characters talk in cartoons is very...artificial. Like you can tell that the dialgoue was clearly written beforehand and it never really sounds natural. At least to me.
@Anon, I wouldn't. The writing and structure are too cartoon. What with the episodic nature and dialogue that generally pushes for a comedic tone.
Flanagan also directed absentia which I haven't seen yet but I think someone I came across of 4chan linked it to being lovecraftian?
Oculus was a film of two halves for me. Hush was a pretty standard home invasion thriller, making the victim deaf was an interesting twist but not as unique as you might think, still suspenseful though.
I never saw the first oujia film. Though Mike Flanagan who did the sequel, he's never made a bad movie but he's never really made a great one either.
I stick to the firm belief that cartoons and anime, visually should do and be their own thing. I'll prefer a western artstyle for cartoons rather than one pretending to look like anime style.
But this is a good topic and I'm sure everyone has their own opinions so I'm looking to hear some more arguments
@anon352392: no they aren't. For me not because of where their production based, nor their intended audience, but rather their styles, both visually and storytelling-ly, are different
Anime,” they assert, is not a “style” of illustration or animation.
That's where I differ to those guys. For me, anime is a style. In that sense, I consider RWBY, and Canadian-produced short Flutter as an anime. Thunderbolt Fantasy is not and anime-influence shows/movies that are intented for Western audience like AniMatrix or Afro Samurai are anime
@Anon nah they wouldn't be because they aren't made by a japanese producer for the japanese market. Quality isn't the question, production is
NX and Red Dead Redemption 2 trailers tomorrow.
They are good series and i honestly like them alot more than most anime series, would their quality make them anime?
What about cartoons like Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, Wander Over Yonder, Star Vs The Forces Of Evil?
In other news a sequel to an absolutely terrible horror movie called Ouija is out and it's...actually pretty good? Wondering if critics were paid off or it is legit good. Well it did have the guy who was behind Oculus and that was a pretty good movie.
Simplify the term down enough and anime is literally anything animated but the whole point of the term is to distinguish it. For to call Spongebob an anime makes me want to projectile vomit. Point is this, you say you watched a cartoon, people think Tom and jerry, Scooby doo etc. You say you watched an anime, people think Cowboy bebop, Attack on titan, etc. Whole point of the term.
For example, I don't consider Avatar or RWBY to be anime for while they use anime style, the writing is fundamentally structured like an American cartoon. Through I would consider Bloodivores an anime even though it was made by a Chinese animation company, making it technically a Chinese cartoon.
As far as what is and isn't anime I honestly think of the term as a means of distinguishing it from cartoon which gives the impression of being for children. It's like Graphic novel is to comic book. Though techically graphic novels are issues of comics bound in book form, the term Graphic novel is often used to distinguish works that go above superhero comics and whatnot.
Basically I think it was due to Porter Robinsons involvement that they didn't consider it anime.
@Aidan: Did the mods give any concrete reasons why they didn't consider it an anime?
@Mario, It wasn't the community that had the problem. It was the mods. The community made it pretty clear that they considered it anime.
So despite the art style is obviously anime, the character speaks in Japanese, and the production was animated by A1 Studios, it's not an anime? Sometimes I feel sad that the anime community keeps limiting themselves with such fixed minds.
I saw it yesterday and yes it was good. For a 5-minute story, they don't make it too overwhelme with details, and still pack an emotional punch. Moreover it elevates the song. Good stuffs.
Shelter was quite good though. It works well and the animation was beautiful. Song is not bad either. It's got a nice emotional punch to it though it's a bit simple a story.
Well anyway I only saw all this because I checked out the video for the first time and wanted to see how others thought of it with a quick scan through reddit. And I get this shitshow instead.
Playing the victim is the one really pisses off the internet. For refusing to admit you f*cked up only encourages people to shove how you f*cked up into your face. That's what really grinds peoples gears.
Yep, seen that too. The mods even put up another tread about the video and tried to guilt trip people by saying they got death threats. Look, internet rules 101. If you said or did something stupid admit to it and just walk away. Do not try to deflect blame or play the victim, that only adds fuel to the fire.
@Aidan oh yeah saw that live lol. Porter himself even commented on twitter about it, gotta love internet drama
So did anyone happen to catch the big old shitstorm of that Shelter music music when a mod of the Anime subreddit decided it wasn't "Anime" enough and removed the discussion post about it? Oh internet drama...what silly nonsense.
Finally caught up with JoJo. Diamond is Unbreakable has turned out to be much better than Stardust Crusaders. Should have waited for the season to finish through as I really loved marathoning it.
I had a feeling that might be the case considering the source materail for luger.
@Mario Oh I watched that, certinately worth it. Packed more story that some 12-episode shows do nowadays and gorgeous animation.
and I will check out "Shelter" music video to see what all the fuss is about
*this weekend to be exact.
Sounds like Luger Code 1951 is an OVA that will air next week, the same air date with "my" Zaregoto OVA.
@Mario: doesn't sound real at all to me lol
@Mario, I might be able to manage. If all else fails I can talk about the past of these historical figures.
While I don't mind watchinng Drifters, I swaer if I had to cover that show, I couldn't come up with anything to say.
Do you guys know what language the fairies speak in Drifters? It does sound like a genuine language
@topgavin: humanity has declined is a great show. It has good writing and dark, witty sense of humor. I could talk about it in length but psgels pretty much covered it all. He was really impressed by that show however.
That should be me covered till the weekend. Why do all my shows air on the weekend...
@Mario nah I've watched the whole thing but I'd heard about it at the start of this year and put it off. The dialogue between her and the fairies was great stuff, probably gonna rewatch it this weekend now that you mention it
Alright, I got three posts written up and will be throwing them out in about two hours or do.
I thought you've finished it. Yeah I love her character a lot, so cynical but witty. My favorite moment was when she read about fairy's plan to invent religions. She was like "so religions are invented?" (beat) "I've learn something new today". Priceless
@Mario Oh nice, it was one that I had heard about but never got round to. To put it in simple anime terms, Watashi is best girl
@topgavin: I just finished the series yo mentioned the other day: humanity is declined. Man, I love it. I know now I have a thing for dark twisted absurdist anime
@Ano340004: the name is Watashi ga Motete Dousunda, or to put it short Motete. I have fun with it but i'm not that enthuastic
@anon the english name is Kiss him, not me. Search through the first impressions if you need the jap name.
then that girl really loves BL (boy love)
what is the name of the anime that the girl is fat and then she got depressed because her favorite boy anime died then she got thin?
Season 7 is awesome so far too. It feels like the tone of the show is finally back to normal and it feels like Adventure Time again.
Whew, I binged all seasons of Adventure Time this weekend. The show hit a low spot in Season 6 but I think it needed to happen...Poor Finn needed the serious character development after what he did to FP.
You guys are too hard on it
Motete is very funny
When it comes to gag manga and four-koma, I just eventually reach a stopping point with a comedy series in that format. Even with hidamari sketch.
I think it was typical light novel trash based on what was in the PV. I laughed that despite it being horrible that the crowd still cheered anyway, likely because it had a bath clip in it.
The PV was hilarious. I had no idea what the anime was about.
@Aidan I'm good, I'll stick with Working.
@K-Off, you could switch to something like Gi(a)rlish Number if you like. I for one am really digging the satire of the show. Plus I like that it's basically showing how an utter train-wreck of an anime can be made. That PV in the last episode was truly painful.
Feeling pretty disappointed with Working. I haven't gotten any more cynical with comedies, at least I don't think, and its flaws are so irritating.
@Adam Le, I find that with Comic book dialogue. Which is one of the reasons I have gone off marvel movies. Cartoons have it to a degree as well.
I love the instagram shots in Yuri
Maybe I can have a watch through those live action films and do a compare/contrast to see which version works better. After all movie and tv series are 2 different medium, and live-action vs animation is the topic that we never get tired of
speaking of which, the overlap between anime and live-action adaptation from manga is overwhelming. For this year alone, there were Erased, 3-gatsu no Lion, Fune o Amu, orange, and Chihayafuru (part 1&2). Those were just the ones I know.
@Adam: Don't know which genre you're into but you can try Fune o Amu (The Great Passage)
Adam Le
I can't seem to get into any of these new shows. I don't know, the dialogue always seems off to me and the forced comedy is a big turn off.
Reminds me of a thought I had when I was last at the Getty art museum. People walking past works of art hundreds of years old, but only taking a second-long glance before moving on to the next one. Not their fault really, it's only the professional critics who can understand what they see with depth.
I'm the opposite really, they're getting paid for what they said so they better know their shits
I suppose I'm slightly envious of professional critics somewhat.
Sometimes you're just meant to experience the ride you know. I don't watch those explained video anymore because after all it's just one guy's opinions.
And I mean people who art professionals or students.
I guess I'm just unsure of something, how many people watching "arty" stuff are able to pick it up on their own. By looking up an "explained video" or "explained essay" to get it, am I copping out?

Occultic:Nine – 03[She Cracked]

This week on Occultic;Nine…stuff happens I guess? In watching this i am getting reminders of Chaos;Head in a lot of ways. Now the Chaos;Head anime was a mess but the visual novel actually started really well with a lot of intrigue before D-swords were introduced and the whole narrative just became a giant nonsensical mess. […]

Magical Girl Raising Project – 04[Add More Friends!]

Guess I gave Ruler a bit too much credit than she deserved. I still think in her own way she did care about her team but she had a much bigger ego than expected when you see her real self. Ruler has the problematic nature of overestimating her own worth and in doing so pushes […]

Drifters – 03[Army of Ours–Sortie at Dawn]

After two episodes of pretty solid quality I happen to notice this episode took a bit of a downturn in animation. Though to be fair this was the most action focused episode yet which strangely didn’t feature our main trio. Instead we get introduced to the other protagonists and our main antagonists. We also get […]

3-gatsu no Lion 3d

3-gatsu no Lion – 03 [Harunobu – Beyond the Night Sky]

Another week, another touching little stories from Rei and his friends. Still follow the same structure as previous 2 weeks, we have the first half of Rei competing against Harunobu, his lifelong rivalry (or so that guy thought), and the remaining half of Rei visiting the three sisters on the last day of Obon festival. […]

Flip Flappers 03d

Flip Flappers – 03 [Pure XLR]

Flip Flappers again raises the bar of what is expected of them, as this week the show goes even much trippier than the previous two weeks, and much darker too. They break out even their own formula, starting this episode right in the middle of desert wasteland. While this episode certainly reminds you a lot […]

Sound Eupho 2 03a

Sound! Euphonium 2 – 03 [Troubled Nocturnes]

This week, we follow an almost 24 hours of Kumiko practicing music, Kumiko interacting with other members, Kumiko having a sleepless night in a band camp, and that’s basically it. In a very Sound Eupho’s way of storytelling, there seems to be not much going on, but this episode actually lays a lot of groundworks […]

Occultic;Nine – 02 [My Cold Dimension]

After a disastrous first episode that has likely pushed away a number of viewers, Occultic;Nine decides to slow down it’s pacing to a more acceptable degree which is a good move. This does make the show much more watchable as the dialogue isn’t running off like a machine gun and we can actually take a […]

Magical Girl Raising Project – 03 [Update Notice!]

Mahou Keikaku continues steady ahead though it’s writing still leaves something to be desired. In particular I was surprised as to just how lackluster the reveal was that whoever drops out is killed. The previous episode made it seem as though Fav was intentionally keeping that aspect in the dark with how he removed the […]

Drifters – 02 [Footsteps]

I originally wasn’t all that impressed with the Drifters manga but when looking at it in motion it truly shows its worth. i guess that is because of the very nature of this series being what it is. Looking at drawing of a man being cut in half and seeing a man be cut in […]

Orange - 01 2

orange Review – 73/100

What would you do if you receive letters from your future-self saying that you can change your future? That’s exactly what Naho experienced as she obtains ones from herself 10 years later that urge her to look after her new friend and prevent him from committing suicide. The premise, I agree, is hardly anything groundbreaking, […]

91 Days - 07 4

91 Days Review – 68/100

When taking up the job of checking out every anime season you really can starve for something different. Variety is the spice of life and yet the entertainment industry seems determined to give us more of the same. So in the sea of average high school students gaining superpowers and harems I see an anime […]

Mob Psycho 100 - 03 3

Mob Psycho 100 Review – 80/100

After the explosive popularity of One Punch Man it really was a high bar that another work of the author ONE had to reach. While it didn’t quite manage that it still differentiated itself enough to allow it to be a worthy anime of it’s own right. But admittedly that will depend on whether this […]

[HorribleSubs] Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 18 [480p].mkv_002253.373