Posted by psgels on 6 June 2010 with categories: Full Metal Alchemist - Brotherhood

This is it: the episode to which the entire series has been building up to. Because the previous episodes weren’t exactly to this series’ highlights, I feared a bit for a lackluster ending, but those fears were ungrounded: this episode was absolutely fantastic and more than a worthy climax after such an amount of build-up. What an episode!

After a bit of fights that were meant to close off the last bits of character building (Scar, revealing that he shed his prejudices, and went along with his brother’s plans, gaining the strength he needed to surprise and win from Bradley; Ed’s revenge on Pride for what he did to Al (he didn’t outright say it, but to me it seems like he went after Pride for exactly that reason; if not he would have been the one to step up and save Mai Chang)), this episode was all about opening that gate. At this point it’s clear that Bones did not save some Xamdou-level animation for its finale, but with the resources they had they portrayed the euphoria of Father, who finally was able to reach his goals after putting an ungodly amount of work to reach “The Truth”, was really well portrayed. Father has really been an excellent villain so far: from start to finish, he remained in control.

The part in which the entire country was killed off was also very well done: haunting, especially seeing everyone just disappearing like that. The creators really made sure to show nearly everyone Ed and Al met disappearing. Aside from Yoki, perhaps. I’m not sure why he suddenly comes to my mind here, but he was surprisingly missing in those scenes.

Of course, they’re still not there: there are a bunch of nasty potential cliches between the end of this episode and the ending. Most notably, Father’s demise: he’s so powerful now. He’s huge, he’s incredibly close to the truth, and everything points to him achieving his plans. There are so many ways that can screw this plot up in the next three episodes. Let’s hope that the creators realized that as well and instead will deliver an awesome ending, rather than a cheesy shounen one.
Rating: **** (Fantastic)

1. egress63 says:

Oh don’t worry – the next episode is going to have your jaw on the floor…

As for the 62nd one, I am not so sure – I did am still ambivalent on the crucial aspect of the latest chapter – 107 (which is what I assume will get covered in episode 62).

I really am eagerly waiting for the 15th of June when the last chapter will come out.

2. Youki says:

HOHENHEIM! Why don’t you do something!? Seriously, if he doesn’t counter Father with something I’m gonna cry! He’s been around for THAT many years and knew about Father’s plan, so he should have something up his sleeve, right?!?!?! If you’ve read the manga, don’t spoil it. THIS IS SO EXCITING, DON’T RUIN IT FOR ME! xD

3. Acylia says:

This is just amazing. :D I hope they manage to handle the rest too!

4. Ec08tfa says:

As the series is actually following the manga it’s going to be awesome

5. Ian says:

Yoki was NOT missing. He was with Marcoh and Heinkel. Did you not see that? Did you not see anything? For this discrepancy, you get a spoiler:

6. rr101 says:

“Because the previous episodes weren’t exactly to this series’ highlights, I feared a bit for a lackluster ending”

7. karry says:

“I don’t know if I’m alone in this, but I thought 58 was one of the better episodes in the series.”

8. Cornwiggle says:

I don’t know why anyone would think the last couple of episodes weren’t good.

The last couple of episodes were some of the best.

I guess some people just have ADD and only respond with lots and lots of light and color like a cat having a shiny object in its face.

9. psgels psgels says:

Um, just for the record: I never meant to say that the past few episodes weren’t good, but rather that I liked this series more when it was building up to the promised day, bringing every character together and stuff. It’s got nothing to do with ADD or brightly coloured sparkles, though.

10. Ec08tfa says:

I personally didn’t get how the last episode were supposed to be lacking due to low budget but blog is one person opinion don’t like it don’t read it

11. Puran says:

It’s not really lacking, but it doesn’t have the really, really high production values of other Bones’ shows (Bounen no Xamdou for example, as psgels also mentioned)

12. lemon4life says:

“This blog is almost 4 years old, and people STILL dont get it, that psgels quite simply has a bad taste ?”

if you don’t like it then why do you read it?

anyway great episode =D really hope the actual ending is going to be good and if it isn’t, then Brotherhood is still way better than the first Full metal alchemist anime.

13. Kane says:

Holy shit.

First thing that came to mind when Earth’s Door was opened?

First thing that came to mind when Heaven’s Door was opened?

“This ain’t knocking on Heaven’s Door, baby, this is BREAKING AND ENTERING INTO HEAVEN AND KIDNAPPING GOD”

Incredible… just incredible… 4 stars well-deserved…

14. moo? says:

huh? First time I seen **** Fantastic, has he rated anything else this high before? lol

15. Jaysen says:

this was the SHIZY!!!!!
    idc wat any1 says but the father is a friggin beast.
    15th of june is gonna be the best day ever lol

16. Bruce says:

The last time you had **** it was labeled as incredible (IIRC, anyway)! I call lack of consistency, psgels!

17. Meep says:

Oooooooooooooooooooh snap. :3

18. psgels psgels says:

I know, last time I used incredible. That was a typo on my part.

19. specracer29 says:

This could either be one of the best anime endings in awhile or the biggest deus ex machina ending, but who knows Father did just take on God 1v1. I mean it could end with God just “bitch slapping” Father back to Earth.

20. billish says:

meh, it was better than the last few but the big-action episodes are still #1 (pride/kimblee vs. Al). No matter what happens in ending this anime is still better than most.

21. MarieLuise says:

I didn’t watch the episode yet and I am looking forward to it, but I read the manga and seriously, is it that incredible what father did and wanted? He had eternal life what else could he want then being god? I appreciate the mangakas work but that was an obvious conclusion for me. But maybe I am missing here something great beyond my imagination ;-)

22. Johnson says:

I thought the last manga was REALLY cheesy. So, I’d work those expectations down a little.

23. Jack says:

there will be 64 episodes in the end,so 4 more to go:

24. Cornwiggle says:

Al vs Kimblee is the most overrated fight in the series.

Once again proving that most of the people who post on these blogs don’t follow the actual story, but only respond to “PReTTy CoLOURs and AcTIOn, CuZ NAruTo ANd DrABvonALLS Are THE BesTeST ANIMES EVar!1!!”

Go back and take your Ritalin.

25. UnknownVoice says:

That depends on person reading.

For me, IMO, last chapter and the overall ending is 100% what FMA:Brotherhood was about.;

it fits both in tone and in moral to end it in such a way, as the story, sort of comes full circle

26. UmbrellaMan says:

Two words: Hell Yeah. This episode was epic. And what a cliff hanger. Is everyone really dead? Did father gain Gods power? It unfortunately looked that way to me. How is this going to end? (How will they stop evil maniacal bad guy from taking over and destroying the world?)The suspense is killing me!!!!

27. Hunter-Wolf says:

Nice episode (although kinda ruined it for myself cause i couldn’t wait and read the latest few chapters 103->107) … but i’m also greatly disappointed.

While the Death of the entire Amestris nation was epically done and was very creepy and haunting .. there are tons of other things that let me down.

Basically FMA:BH played the fine line between a Seinen and a Shonen series .. up until “Father” in the last episode got his so-called godly powers .. that a big break point IMO .. it delves deeply into the generic shonen area that has been done 1000 times already which greatly threatens all what the writer has been building up to and forecasts a cheesy shonen ending.

Actually an extremely similar plot is found in Bleach ****Bleach spoiler: basically Aizen wants to sacrifice an entire town population to gain enough power to unlock some God Realm and devour the deity there and become the so-called God”**** /end of bleach spolier .. and Bleach is one of the numerous shonen titles that has that exact same plot (even FF13 has a similar plot) .. and while FMA:BH has been good at masking and hiding Father’s goals/plans .. and until the lastest few episodes we never knew exactly what he wanted .. but now it’s all clear that it is the typical shonen villain goal .. sacrifice some people/get some item/ .. etc etc –> gain unfathomable incalculably immense power –> become some sort of pseudo-deity/god (for no reason whatsoever) –> get beaten by the hero or a bunch of teenagers in the most humiliating way possible to make the main character/s look as heroic as possible … BLAH.

The only saving grace for FMA is its interesting characters and the past struggle to reach that point .. but beyond it i’m afraid i see nothing but generic shonen crap … not to mention some End of Evanglion mixed in too (the Father/Earth Gate scene + Major Apocalypse vibe = End of EVA).

I loved (and still love) the first FMA cause the goal of Dante was something humanity have been seeking for ages and actually a goal that a lot would actually kill and do unspeakable things for (gaining perfect immortality and not having to change her rotting body every few years) .. a reasonable, achievable and even understandable goal … also the fact that the GATE in FMA was left a mystery was a great thing and added to the series .. all in all FMA was way more seinen than shonen to me .. and the ending (the series + the movie) is a testament of that .. it was open ended but satisfying (no God battles .. no ridiculously super powered villians .. no EVA style mumbo jumbo … etc etc)

Probably “Father” at this point breaks all power charts in the series to a ridiculous extent .. but what bugs me the most is that so called “god” the got captured by “Father” .. seriously .. just by opening the gate of earth (a single planet) “father” was able to absorb that so-called god from the sky with ZERO effort and zero struggle from that god (who was waiting all that time for Father to come and capture him) .. what kind of god is that … he didn’t say a thing nor even fight back (while all the characters could) .. i doubt that entity is even a god of any sort (hopefully that will turn out to be the case in the ending) cause i haven’t seen a single sign of his god hood.

Besides .. if it was really some sort of god .. is it the one that created the universe, sun, earth and people in FMA:BH world .. cause if it is … then “father” shouldn’t even be able to touch that entity even if he opened the gate of the SUN or even the entire galaxy (if they have gates that is).

Basically the whole thing doesn’t make any sense even within the context of FMA:BH world (very reminiscent of EVA) .. ****Arikawa better have a good explanation for all that mess in the final chapter/episode.**** .. i haven’t lost all hope yet.

But seriously .. still … Arikawa completely destroyed “Father” as a good villain in this episode .. i always thought he seeked knowledge or had some interesting goal .. not the same goal that generic shonen villains has been seeking since the stone age (GOD POWER !!!) .. sigh .. even Orochimaru from Naruto is way above that .. he seeked immortality (and seeked Sasuke’s Sharingan “Ninja-technique-copying-power”) in order to be able to research and learn all sorts of ninja techniques .. he is driven by his strong hunger for knowledge and curiosity and would do anything for that .. which makes him tons more human and tons more believable than that shonen God power crap.

/End of Rant

28. Hunter-Wolf says:

Basically FMA:BH played the fine line between a Seinen and a Shonen series .. up until “Father” in the last episode got his so-called godly powers .. that a big break point IMO .. it delves deeply into the generic shonen area that has been done 1000 times already which greatly threatens all what the writer has been building up to and forecasts a cheesy shonen ending (but since everything isn’t over yet there is a still hope to avert it).

29. Hunter-Wolf says:

Actually an extremely similar plot is found in Bleach ****Bleach spoiler: basically Aizen (main villian in Bleach) wants to sacrifice an entire town population to gain enough power to make some KEY to unlock some God Realm and devour the deity there and become the so-called God of Bleach world”**** /end of bleach spoiler .. and Bleach is one of the numerous shonen titles that has that exact same plot (even FF13 has a similar plot) .. and while FMA:BH has been good at masking and hiding Father’s goals/plans .. and until the lastest few episodes we never knew exactly what he wanted .. but now it’s all clear that it is the typical shonen villain goal .. sacrifice some people/get some item/ .. etc etc –> gain unfathomable incalculably immense power –> become some sort of pseudo-deity/god (for no reason whatsoever) –> get beaten by the hero or a bunch of teenagers in the most humiliating way possible to make the main character/s look as heroic as possible … BLAH.

30. Hunter-Wolf says:

Sorry for duplicate posts .. i refreshed several times but the initial long post never showed up so i though i had to split it up and post it .. sigh XD

31. han hyo joo says:

i am tired of the people who say this idea is cliche ,well it is ,but was well executed ,is because our human imagination had executed probably all the ideas about what a villian want and i think these things is all a human can think ,so if you are genius create your own absolutely original plot but for example i cant think of anything more ,the important thing is this was well executed ,not super original because in these days probably anything is 100% original

32. han hyo joo says:

enjoy it because is enterteining don’t make hard your life ,finally anything is perfect for me full metal is good and point

33. han hyo joo says:

and also i am not the true han hyo joo ,i am only a fan of her

34. Cornwiggle says:

Keep in mind Father’s goal is to become the perfect being. Of course he would devise a way to “absorb God” into himself.

That’s what he’s been calculating for centuries.

35. Hunter-Wolf says:

@han hyo joo

I’m not demanding 100% original .. anything remotely interesting will do (like the first FMA series ending) .. but not something so freaking cliche i have lost count of how many anime/jap games have that exact same plot.

And yes .. FMA:BH is well executed .. but that new revelation about “father’s” true goal (and his inferiority complex) is like a black stain on a beautiful red dress .. completely ruins the whole dress.

Like i said .. main villains like Orochimaru in generic shonen series like Naruto is way better and has more interesting and plausible goals (same as Dante from FMA) .. the whole “villain wants to become GOD or gain GOD POWER” is both silly and way overdone … not to mention completely broken .. Greek mythology handled the whole (Men Vs Demi-Gods Vs Gods) way better than any Jap anime.

36. Hunter-Wolf says:

like i said before .. the whole premise is broken on various levels.

If he was able to absorb that so-called deity that easily (without any struggle or big fight) then he already was more powerful than that so-called God at that point .. which makes absorbing him completely pointless to begin with.

Besides .. again .. like mentioned in my post above .. there has been ZERO proof of that creature’s god hood … what kind of god would sit silent waiting for some homonculus to grow that powerful then come over and absorb him like a sponge … not to mention that can’t be the same god that created the universe in FMA:BH world cause it’s ought to be way more unapproachable than that .. not just some high power level that can be attained by leveling up or gaining more power levels (like “Father” did .. copying every single generic shonen villain before him) .. there are very few shonen series that actually manage to keep track of everyone’s power levels (FMA:BH was like that until the last episode)… and those definitely don’t involve any ridiculously super powered pseudo-deity villains.

37. kagura says:

I agree with you that a villain wanting to become a God is as cliche as it can be, and that it’s already been done many times before, but I fail to see how exactly Dante’s goal from the first FMA is superior to Father’s from FMA-B. I mean, immortality is considered to be one of God’s attributes (as long as by “God” we understand “an omnipotent being, a creator and overseer of the universe” etc.); so, seeking immortality is the same as seeking a way to become a being similar/closer to God; and from there there’s only one small step to wanting to become a God himself. That’s why I don’t feel like Dante’s goal was any more ambitious, or any more original (not to mention than seeking immortality in itself isn’t very original and has also been done thousands of times before)… But that’s the only thing in your comment I don’t exactly agree with. As for the rest, my opinion is similar to yours. Arakawa could’ve come up with something more interesting/original… but oh well, it’s not like I’m loving FMA as a whole any less because of that.

PS. As for the villains in shounen anime/manga, One Piece takes the cake in that field for me. There’s not even one villain there who seeks immortality/godlike powers/world domination/world destruction or other similar nonsense. It’s like a breath of fresh air after Naruto, Bleach and a bunch of other shounen series out there.

38. Reach says:

The last page of the manga, ever, is out….and tons and tons and tons of pages of spoilers that aren’t even the whole chapter. Will it really reach the 150 mark?

39. ama-ri says:

Basically his aim is not having godlike power to rule the world, blah, rather it is to set himself apart from humans, he despised and envied at the same time. As said before: he wants to be the perfect being -> being better than humans (as you can see in the homunculi, which originally WERE a part of him.) his grudge started back in xerxian times when he was in that flask, not being able to leave it. he wanted to be superior to them because he was always inferior. Swallowing god (which I think isn’t really god but my conclusion would include spoilers for the manga) is just one part of his goal to be superior than humanity and especially hohenheim.

Yes, it’s not the most original thing, however it’s not like it’s not justified.

not everything I said is written that way in the manga/shown in the anime. I had the freedom to interpret some things to fill the gaps.

And, please, Dante was one of the most boring and flat villains I’ve ever seen. Ok maybe that thing from Kuroshitsuji was worse. I tend to call it Dante2 though. Dante totally ruined the first series for me. And that’s not just because I’m a die-hard FMA Manga fan.

40. Kane says:

This is a warning for psgels and other non-manga readers:

Two pages from Chapter 108 have been leaked and they spoil a lot of stuff. Watch out, especially as you go around social networking sites like Livejournal and Devianart (if you do).

41. Hunter-Wolf says:

I don’t think humans seek immortality because it’s an attribute of god .. cause even some who don’t believe in a god also want immortality .. basically it’s humanity’s fear of death .. or what’s beyond death .. the fear of having their existence and bodies wither away and decay .. not to mention throughout history there are tons of people who tried to look for/make immortality potions … as well as the aspect of it being somewhat will be achievable by science in the future (not real immortality .. but close)

And actually i don’t remember that many villains in shonen that seeked immortality because they feared/hated dying and decaying (like Dante).

And i didn’t mean Dante’s goal was more ambitious .. just more achievable, plausible and human (you can sympathize with her on some level) .. her goals don’t involve world dominion or destroying the world or anything .. she just wanted perfect immortality .. plain and simple.

And yeah .. some of the villains in OnePiece (and they are many) are quite interesting … but what i’m really sad for is for Naruto to have the most interesting villain i saw in a while (Orochimaru) .. but still .. **Spoiler** the main villain (Uchiha Madara) in Naruto wants to do something similar to “Father” **Spoiler** .. AGAIN the same cliche.

42. Hunter-Wolf says:

But there are problems with that logic .. he never really needed to do any of that.

1-Just by opening the earth gate was was already more powerful than any human or chimera or creature on earth .. he even was more powerful than any human before he opened earth gate (he easily defeated and swallowed Hoenheim and all attacks had zero effect on him).

2-That thing that he calls God which he absorbed wasn’t even powerful enough to fight back .. what’s the point of devouring it if he was already more powerful than all humans (including Hoenheim) and even more powerful than that entity he absorbed .. talk about “overkill” .. that’s more of reason what happened in chapter 107 by “Edward” feels kinda cheesy and doesn’t fit very well with the tone of the series/story (manga readers will understand) XD

43. Ian says:

Not exactly a spoiler, but know that for anything to be done about the pickle the heroes are now in, it will NOT be a deus ex machina. Preparations were made and foreshadowed in earlier episodes. Hell, there may even be a flashback to that scene in that episode where the foreshadowing was made. I just can’t tell you what it is not just because I’d give it away, but I honestly can’t remember which episode it was in. Just know it was there, and it will have something to do with whatever is going to happen next, which I and many other people already know.

44. Hunter-Wolf says:

I do know it won’t be a Deus Ex Machina … that’s it’s only saving grace though … other than that it’s too much into the territory of mediocrity and cliche .. Arikawa manged to keep thing interesting to this point .. but sadly once Father’s true goals were revealed it all felt “meh” (i was hoping for something more interesting or unusual) … still we have the final chapter .. hope she can pull-off a good ending.

Also .. saw some discussions that refer to FMA:BH Episodes 2 and Pantheism (Pantheism as being the inspiration for Arikawa’s “Truth”) .. in Ep 2 “The Truth” clearly says to young “Ed” the he is “Everything”, “God”, “The Universe” .. and then points at ED saying .. “and YOU” .. i wonder how this relates to what’s happening in the series now !!!? (that view fits quite well with the views of Pantheism)

Oh .. and watch out everyone .. there are already 67 pages of chapter 108 RAW out there .. couldn’t resist taking a look at them .. GAH .. my mistake … now i can’t wait to read it anymore XD

45. Denizen says:

God, these comments.

I like how nowadays, Villains with plausible motives or reasonable ideas are now OVERDONE and STALE, and yet aiming low and wanting pitifully dumb results (immortality or political change or whatever) when you could be gaining much much more is somehow fresh and “realistic”.

There’s a reason the generic plans for a villain involve “becoming God”, because everyone wants to fucking BE God.
    If you know that the planet has stored information on everything, and that you have the means to become an incredible force of power and knowledge, then why wouldn’t you? Especially if you’re an artificial being uninterested in generic human values.

You can stick to generic Shounen trying to be “deep” or “original”, but don’t go bashing a manga intended to be a homage to B-Movie madness because it’s not trying to be pretentious.

46. kagura says:

Yeah, I see your point, but still, seeking immortality is, in a way, forcefully stepping into God’s realm, or playing God, regardless of it being intentional or not… so I just don’t see Dante and Father’s goals as much different, at least in that matter.

And I didn’t mean that seeking immortality is a common theme only in shounen manga/anime, or even in manga/anime in general; what I meant is that it’s already been done many times before in books, movies, etc., and it’s a horribly cliched concept however you look at it. That’s why I can’t really see Dante as a more interesting villain than Father. They’re just equally not interesting to me. But I understand that you may have a different view on that matter, and it’s alright.

As for Orochimaru, yeah, I agree that his having a different goal that lay beyond achieveing immortality, makes him quite an interesting villain. And I wasn’t exactly pleased by the way they handled his plot in Naruto… (but then again, I wasn’t pleased with lots of other things in Naruto, for example ***SPOILER*** reviving Kakashi and all the villagers of Konoha ***END OF SPOILER***) and I’m pretty fed up with Naruto at this point… the same with Bleach… One Piece is probably the only ongoing shounen that I still find interesting and enjoyable (to say the least), even after that huge amount of episodes/chapters, so I’m glad you agree with me about the villains in OP.

47. Hunter-Wolf says:

But Orochimaru himself is proof seeking immortality has nothing to do with wanting to become a God .. his reason is pretty simple (yet deep) one … and yes acquiring all sorts of knowledge or being all-knowing is an attribute of God-hood but still he isn’t doing it for any more reason than fulfilling his own thirst for knowledge about ninja techniques and sheer curiosity … and yeah .. it’s sad how they handled his story in Naruto .. he had lots of potential.

As for the Naruto spoiler … hmmm .. doesn’t it remind you of something else more recent (hint hint) XD

If by “plausible motives or reasonable ideas” you mean “becoming GOD” then i have nothing to discuss with you .. and that just made me LOL hard XD

48. Reach says:

@Hunter-Wolf: And you read what they wrote in all the wrong ways. Read it again and maybe your intelligence will kick in and you WILL have something to say.

49. Bobby says:

Dante as the overall boss SUCKED BALLS in the first FMA. all of these powerful homunculi essentially taking orders from some person whose main objective was… to hop from body to body in an attempt to stay alive??!! really??!! gigantic letdown after a great buildup.

i think father motives are totally justified. the dude started out as a friggin’ blob in a flask, of course he’s gonna have a napoleon complex and want to rule every thing (LOL). besides he doesn’t give a rat’s (DONKEY) about humanity, he said so himself, he was originally created for knowledge and gaining godhood is the ultimate way to learn as much about everything as he can.

great ep. i always thought that the slash wounds bradley gave scar from his shoulders to his chest should have been more damaging than they appeared to do; is scar on PCP or novocaine or something? (LOL)

50. Helle says:

This episode was so exciting, I actually got something in my eye. Haven’t been this carried away for a looong time :) I absolutely love this series. No matter where it goes from here, it’s most definitely going to end up amongst my favorites. Although I share your worries psgels.

51. Zombie says:

anyone noticed that the music played when Father was talking about openin the gate , WAS AWESOME ..

52. Kane says:

“is scar on PCP or novocaine or something? (LOL)”

This makes me wonder: if Scar’s alchemy is a blend of East and West, does this mean he also has the ability to do healing like Mei did to herself this episode? ‘Cuz the dude really needs it about now…

And if Scar’s on Novocaine, that’s doubly so for Bradley. The guy has a friggin’ BULLET still in his right shoulder and yet he’s swinging those swords around like nothing… hahaha… though it looks like his stab wound is kinda serious since he threw up blood here…

53. ntd says:

You said Orochimaru’s goal to seek knowledge is deep and interesting, but isn’t Father’s goal just the same? Becoming God is one thing, the main purpose behind that is like he said: to obtain knowledge of a vast universe far beyond any human brain’s ability to process. And in the FMA universe, knowledge equals to power. What Father is seeking is all the knowledge of the world, and obtaining God is his way to achieve that goal.

As for why the so-called God guy is so weak, I say because it’s not the almighty God in a conventional way. For now I can just see it as the planet’s Truth (just like Ed’s Truth or Al’s Truth). What really is Truth? We don’t know yet, better wait a little longer for the last chapter to come out to see if there’s some more light about it.

54. Truth says:

There probably won’t be more light shed on Truth at the end. You all should just read about Kabbalah is you want to understand “God” in FMA-verse. It’s all there.

55. Truth says:

People over in the West are too stuck on the idea of monotheism and possibly polytheism, but there are other things too. Like Hunter-Wolf said there’s Pantheism which is so clearly what Truth falls under if you pay attention to even the smallest things. If you look further Arakawa obviously based everything in FMA on Kabbalah. Read between the lines people! Don’t wait for the answers to be handed to you at the end!

56. Hunter-Wolf says:

I think those you claim i have read their comments in the wrong way can reply by themselves .. they don’t need you to do so for them … 2nd .. please act more mature and refrain from personal insults .. they only make you look like a childish brat.

Yeah, except he never claimed to be genuinely interested in knowledge or curious about it … only interested in the whole “absorbing God” thing as a means of becoming a “god” himself (like i mentioned once to overcome his inferiority complex) .. but again it wasn’t even necessary .. he was already extremely powerful and knowledgeable before he did it.

Well … the whole “becoming God” thing is frustrating for several reasons not just one or two.

1-Overly done and extremely cliche in Jap-anime .. hundreds of anime villains have already done that .. and every single time it is the same exact scenario and same exact ending.

2-It’s a DEAD END every freaking time it happens, and nothing happens after it … the main villain just claims to have reached god-hood (accompanied by some maniacal laughter and claims that nothing can stop him now) only to be shortly kicked in the face and defeated by the main character/s .. every freaking time.

3-The so called villain always claims to have reached god-hood but never once did they show any sign of it more than just overpowered versions of their previous skills/powers/abilities .. making the whole becoming God a trivial matter of leveling up “RPG style” and hitting the level cap .. which is a very laughable concept really … the only series that got it right was Rahxephon IMO … Rahxephon spoiler **** in the end of Rahxephon when the main character attained some sort of god-hood he felt really different and otherworldly (and ended up reforming the entire world from what i understood)**** /end of spoiler.

4-Some occasions of the becoming god thing involve defeating a previous entity that attained god hood and taking its power … but again like i said before .. if said entity can already be defeated by the villain before he attained god-hood .. then defeating it and absorbing its power is a completely POINTLESS venture.

5-In most cases that godly villain is defeated by the power of love/friendship/courage/… etc etc .. although that’s not entirely true in FMA .. those who read chapter 107 will get this point … WARNING FMA manga spoiler **** when Ed starting punching “father” with an arm that just got impaled by a thick metal bar it felt really cheesy .. specially with everyone deciding to watch and cheer gleefully .. that really felt way out of place and not in the spirit of the series” / END of spoiler.

I can keep going as to why the whole “becoming God” is an extremely overdone (read 60% or more of shonen series) and cheesy hollow premise that detracts of the story 99% percent of the time and doesn’t add anything meaningful .. actually it’s rare to actually see villains with reasonable goals that actually are attainable and actually they can succeed in them and the story would still have place for more developments afterwards .. meaning that even if Dante achieved her perfect immortality or Orochimaru obtained all the ninja techniques .. it’s not and “end all” event .. there would still be room for developments for both the characters and the stories they are in (even if not explicitly shown).

57. Cornwiggle says:

First off, in FMA, “God” or rather Truth was introduced right at the beginning, setting up that there was some sort of higher power in this story.

So it’s not thrown out of left field.

Secondly, if you really think the story is going nowhere now, you’re sadly mistaken.

58. light019 says:

I think some people are being overtly picky. FMA isn’t perfect but many people seem to focusing on its minor problems rather than looking at what it does right. FMA is a brilliant anime and those most of the criticisms are making a mountain out of a molehill.

59. Johnson says:

Warning: potential spoilers (not really; I’m going to be vague but if you don’t want to take chances, don’t read)

@UnknownVoice: Even the thing Greed said about friends? I thought that was the lamest shit ever. He’s a motherf**king Homonculous for crying out loud.

I mean, FMA is geared toward teenagers, so what do you expect, right?

60. Bobby says:

@ Hunter-Wolf

i see what you’re trying to get at, but the whole trope about “Big Bad wants to be all-powerful” is not just a anime/manga thing, most good/bad stories usually have the heroes facing someone trying to become god-like/supreme, be it lord of the rings, harry potter, etc. bad guys love/want power, THAT’S WHY THEY’RE BAD (lol). if it’s executed well it works. and i think FMA has done it well.

the entire series Father has been Joe Cool, totally in control and essentially about 5 chess moves ahead of everybody else. he is a TRUE top villain compared to Dante who like i said earlier was weaker than her minions and had a (MALE COW FECES) ultimate goal IMHO.

right now really feels like a titanic battle, you know good will prevail cuz that’s how it always plays out but you don’t know HOW it will happen, who will die, if mustang/ed/al will get their bodies restored or if somehow a twist will be introduced (like how ed/al were separated in diff. worlds at the end of the 1st series), who will take over amestris (mustang or olivier or somebody else), if mustang/hawkeye etc. will be punished for the military crimes in ishval etc.

SO MANY INTRIGUING subplots, and that’s IF they defeat Father. so uh, YEAH, the badguy god-thing can work if well executed.

61. theone says:

@hunter wolf

Cool story Bro.

62. PicoPallino says:

@Bobby: you didn’t read the manga it seems. So prepare for a big disappointment about all the intriguing subplots.

63. 4saken says:

I think people should stop using manga spoilers to prove their points.

64. Hunter-Wolf says:

Ok ok .. no need for that anymore .. i actually looked at the final chapter RAW and i tell it was worth it (guess that doesn’t qualify as a spoiler XD).. actually after reading a little about Pantheism things make more sense … oh .. and “Father” is an idiot for not reading about “Pantheism” too /sarcasm XD

Can’t wait for it to be translated and animated .. gahhhh .. the wait will be very painful .. i’ll have to imagine i never saw the RAW .. maybe self-hypnotization will help .. forget .. forget .. forget *stares at a swinging pendulum* XD

Huh !!!? .. what am i doing here XD

65. Bobby says:

i totally have read the manga (waiting for the last chapter) so i don’t get why you’re necessarily pessimistic about the subplots i brought up. ed and al have been trying the whole series to get their bodies back, and i’d assume that a character as popular as mustang wouldn’t be left blind as well. SOMEBODY has to take over the country if bradley/the homunculi aren’t in charge and right now (as of ep. 60 so as not to spoil anything) olivier’s faction is being painted as the traitors and mustang’s forces are also in play (so is grummann to some extent) so that subplot can totally be resolved. whether hawkeye/mustang etc. get punished for basically being unwittingly used by the homunculi to commit genocide is another matter but it has been raised in the story so it could also be addressed. and some more good guys beyond fu/buccaneer can totally kick the bucket before the end. none of my subplots is hard to resolve at all within the last chapter IMO, just saying.

66. Reltair says:

2 more episodes to go? I want to see how they decide to deal with Father.

67. PicoPallino says:

I’m not pessimistic and I don’t say that the subplots cannot be resolved in the last chapter. I referred with my thoughless post more to the overall impression the ending made on me (last chapter of the manga). The ending is okay, because it fits the story. But I expected something more. That’s the disappointment I talked about. Maybe you will feel the same after reading (or watching) the end? Or maybe not? We’ll see :-)

68. Cornwiggle says:

There’s not two episodes to go:

Let us count:

61: 1
    62: 2
    63: 3

And I’ve heard there’s also going to be a 64.

But it’s at least three.

69. Tiger says:

HAH! I KNEW you were gonna add another star to the chapter 104 episode. I just KNEW it.
    … 3 more episodes? Assuming each ep gets one chapter, the 110 page long final chapter (which was GOURGEOUS, btw.) would become a movie, maybe? *hopes*

70. Tiger says:

KT here: This looks pretty though I am sure I will object to the way the history is presented.
KT here: Classicaloid Season 2 penultimate episode had a whole bunch of anime/game references including an Akuma one.
With Vinland, I think it was that it switched magazines, started as a shounen.
HYPE! HYPE! VINLAND HYPE! I really hope it's a 2-cour where they end with the "End of Prologue".
Wonder how Vinland will be. It's one of the very very very few long running series I still consider as good. Usually there is always a lot of stuff that annoys me once a series switches its tone or genre at some point.
I also wish Wixoss would die and I really loved the first series, even both seasons. But the lastest one without Okada was atrocious.
@Kaiser: that kind of distraction is just the internet's curse I know it as well. It kinda pisses me off because I was a pretty diligent worker once and created a lot of create new content even. Now I often get the urge to check the newest funny tweets/memes whatever.
Well played sir
In my headcanon I'm pretending the crowdfunding for a possible gunsmith cats anime will work.
This will be a good way to re-cap on older chapters of Vinland through the adaptation. I started reading it way back in 2007.
excellent news
So, vinland saga appears to have gotten picked up for an adaptation by WIT
I will watch Legend of Galactic Heroes. Probably give Golden Kamuy a chance.
I'll consider golden kamuy at least.
I'm too busy with galactic heroes original to watch the remake right now and you can bet for certain i am staying far far away from mahou shoujo site.
While I won't say anythong doreikus villain reveal pretty much killed it for me. I never really watched much of full metal panic due to not finding it funny.
Just let Wixoss, Sword art and tokyo ghoul die already , its beating the dead horse at this point.
Kaiser-Eoghan in the meantime you can all content yourself with that preview.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
@Anon, When it's done.
They actually take work you know, not as if I can just cough them up on a whim.
Spring Preview when?
I enjoy TONS of subtitled stuff, but I have to admit...sometimes to re-winding and pausing when the dialogue gets heavy or complex.
I know Aico has a shit dub but sometimes I find myself watching in English and feeling lazy because its easier to watch more now that way.
I used to be able to marathon stuff so easily but now I can't do the 12 episodes in one go thing like I used to.
Something goes off, even after 30 minutes to an hour "Shit....have to see if something NOW....can't stop myself"
I'm not the kind of person who messes with their phone in a cinema, but at home somehow theres this moments where I just get this distracting urge to keep checking some site, E-mail, snacking, going to the bathroom too often or lie down, look at someones doujin/smut art or write something all when I'm supposed to be doing something else.
What I mean is, I'll be reading/watching something and its not boring at all, maybe even interesting, but I can't stop pausing sometimes for...reasons and it takes me longer to get through something because of this.
I know this is pretty much an effect of living in this generation but, for those of you who experience this, how do you guys deal with "distraction." Sometimes this annoys me....
@Amagi: I'm evasive of "non-old man pubs" at night , particularly late at night, I don't want to come across any "characters" I'd prefer not to encounter.
Liquor goes great after copious amounts of beef and steak
@Amagi, Considering that I am here, you probably should have expected a Fate GO review.
Wow I didn't expect a FGO review here
Well it's the reason why I never drink alcohol at home. Even if I were depressed it wouldn't change my mood so it's pointless.
I can reach a point where I feel like dreaming but none of my character traits change. Guess it always varies depending on the person. Same with my best friend, he's just get tired when drunk, but nothing else ever happens.
@Kaiser: Same here. Often go to pubs with friends at night but not only do I not want to ever get my mind "altered" by alcohol, it doesn't even work it seems. Or maybe it's the will or that I am just not influenceable.
Ah, this is just me being in grumpyKaiser mode =)
I have been drunk, I do not like it. I do like being tipsy, but hate drunk. I generally like beer because it does not muck me up as bad as harder drinks (ouzo, raki, and I absolutely despise tequila). The first time in my life I celebrated Valentine's Day was this year. Have to say that it was not too bad.
Baccardi and Vodka were the only forms of alcohol I felt didn't especially taste "off" to me.
I also dislike Valentines day for the schmaltz, insincerity, fakeness around it and the idea there has to be "a day" for it and the captilization, commercialization of emotions.
In all my thirty one years I have never been drunk and never intend to, I dislike the idea of surrendering my mind to alcohol and feeling "altered". If anything you would be safer doing marijuana.
And Guinness is massively overrated.
@Anon: I care for neither really.
Alcohol culture in a nutshell: if you like to drink sweet alcohol that actually tastes good instead of liquor that tastes like gasoline and piss, you're a pussy.
I've no interest in Irelands drinking culture /festival days much.
Its really just a day off or an excuse for 13 year olds to get drunk.
He was Welsh aswell and there weren't exactly that much snakes in Ireland to begin with.
@Mario: Its technically St Patricks day now yes. Not that I personally care for it, I got going to the parade out of my system over a decade ago, never liked the oirishness and cliches/commercialisim around it, in the end it just makes it impossible to get around the city, plus the weather is so poor its pointless going out anyway.
I saw some Irish flags around my area. Is it St Patrick day today?
I did listen to some of aico's dub, I don't think any of these people are experienced or professional voice actors.
Anon: B the beginning was too much of an awkward genre mix. I was content to just ignore aico because I'm not a fan of Bones as a studio but you're the second person to say it reminds them of some old ova.
@Anon: I enjoyed the combination of old and new with devilman, it even being able to eclipse the ovas, aswell as the experimental visual style and transgression, and as you said, the surprising emotional involvement.
So i finish, B the Beginning, Aico, Devilman( What a feel's ride). and I must say that they're far from perfect, but they remaind me of 90, early 2000 anime, that i loved so much and that is a big plus. Today's anime doesnt feel quite the same in my opinion, what are your thoughts.. Now im getting excited to watch SWORD GAI!.
While obvious an anime series, After the rain often feels like a live action film.
@Mario: Actually that does remind me, I never saw Pola X by Carax.
Miike is extremely hit or miss, but I loved how Audition minipulated the viewer with its slower first half before really taking off, most of Ichi the killer is just a perversely funny black comedy to me.
Chang-dong-Lee is refreshingly less melodramatic then other Korean directors.
Benh Zeitlin is one I'm not familiar with, but it turns out he did beasts of southern wild and I enjoy magical realism.
@Mario: I wasn't aware Carax was still alive, some sgements of holy motors work, others don't , lovers on the bridge was a more accessible film I recall.
@Fluca: okay. Kinda fixed it. I don't think we have a spoiler code so I just changed your spoiler into white color
@Kaiser: I'm checking movies from indie auteur directors that could come out this year, interested Benh Zeitlin's second movie, Lee Chang Dong's and Leos Carax's one
Would love to see Our Little Sister in anime form, actually
Although Miike directs like at least 40 feature films, I only remember his Audition and Ichi the Killer the most, both of which I have extremely mixed feeling about
Every time I here the title Aico, it makes me think its some kind of eco/environmental thing, which I know it isn't.
The fate/extra Alice character (I looked her up) looks like she belongs in rozen maiden.
The modern Japanese directors can be prolific Miike and Sono pump out more than one film a year.
And it shows, that Our little sister adaptation, that live action adaptations CAN sometimes work.
Quick fact, that action crime josei anime, Bananna fish, coming out in April is based on a manga by the writer of Our little sister's manga.
@Mario: The interest being, how he would handle something so removed from his usual style.
@Mario: Actually re-checking, its next week, The third murder , which seems very different, a courtroom drama with some philosophy in it.
I really enjoy Our Little Sister, but I think mainly because the film is entirely within my comfort zone (Slice of life manga material, about the life of these girls)
@Kaiser: Which one will you see? He now directs one movie per year so it's hard to keep track some times. I really like his style and I reckon people who like slice-of-life will enjoy his movies
@Mario: Hirokazu Koreeda has a new film out, seeing it on Friday, I've only seen Our little sister by him.
@Anon: I essentially deleted the rest of the episodes off my computer after struggling through the first, like most, maybe moreso I got very turned off by the genre mixing. Thats not to say that I'm against genre mixes though, but they have to be weird, I mean really weird.
I am not a fan of breather episodes, something most modern anime are pretty keen to insert. I hate breaking of climaxes in order to show three SoL-, fanservice- or formularic monster of the week episodes before the main plot progresses further. When I want SoL I go watch a full fleshed SoL. Aico is pretty straight forward and kinda easy to watch in one go in that regard. Nothing really new though.
Just finished Aico. Had a few downsides like most series but I enjoyed it. Felt like a classic scifi anime you'd see in the 90s.
@Anon, I watched it. Though it was mixed but a decent enough watch. It really felt like two shows hastily combined into one. Been thinking of writing a review for it and Aico once I finish Aico.
*Have you watch
Have toy watch, B The Beginning?
I would call it somewhat lightweight however, but I won't complain/level too much against it, as it is afterall, a family film.
*in my memory
Nice animation showcase aswell though I don't know how long this will really stay i my memory, though it was nice.
Although it relies on being fairly convenient, linear and simplistic, that Mary witch flower anime movie is at its strongest when visually drawing the viewer into its world and wherever it shows spectacle. I'd say its adequately charming. Fair enough.
Hakata sounds like Gangasta. A series I enjoyed, despite its massive flaws
thanks guys. I will probably give it a try. I am also watching the Castlevania anime finally. Not really worth it for me. Also I watched the first episode of Garo Vanishing Line. I can a say it was fun.
Hi guys, anyone here played Sea Bed VN? Just wondering...
@Anon1880687 - I watched a couple of episodes. Feels like a foreign series. Since it doesn't feel like an anime made in Japan. I did like the group of revengers seem to have more personality than the main leads which insinuate chemistry but doesn't go deep into it. I don't remember if they explain why one of the leads chooses to dress like a girl. Though at least they give him/her a male voice.
@KTravlos: me. Not impressed. First few eps were alright with a set of bold characters, but later the lot just goes around in circle for these characters acting cool and cool rules the day. I dropped it after episode 6
KT here. Has anybody watched Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens? Impressions?
@Vonter: It gets more serious later although I agree it's better starting this without any knowledge about the series, like I did. I just loved the tragicomical jokes and the obsessive nostalgia Bojack suffered from and neither needed nor expected any drama but it was pretty good when it happened nonetheless.
@Anon, Not really. They just wanted to find some justification for the trashy aspects for a show they liked rather than accept it.
And while I understand how obnoxious it can be, there are times when people complain about a show doesn't explain itself and then get pissed off when you try to give an explanation.
ProZD nails it on the head yet again The people who continue to make excuses for kill la kill's fan service are the same ones fapping to episodes of the show to this day
@Vonter: From what I hear, while it does have comedy, by the second season not only does it improve, but its more of a drama.
I've been watching Bojack Horseman. It's good, yet watching certain clips before the actual series made me expect a darker show. I know it's a cartoon, but some jokes reduced the impact of certain events. Though I suppose it's meant to be uplifting and not just mean spirited. It gave me some Nier and Aku no Hana vibes.
We watched the first three episodes of B the Beginning. I must say I enjoyed it. We will see how the rest goes.
*whole franchise bar Macross delta
Despite loving the mans work since I got started on anime when I was younger, I still haven't seen Kawamori's most recent Macross series despite seeing the whole franchise.
I think devilman set me up for the idea that netflix would be putting out more transgressive anime.
If i were to rank the three netflix original shows that have released so far in descending order, it would be devilman crybaby, AICO, and then B: the beginning
so i just finished binge watching AICO...give it a watch if you guys have time, it's pretty good
@Mario: A good dose of reality in that episode though.
@Mario: Well I guess I called it completely wrong on who Chihiro was lol
@Amagi: Steins gate spent far too much time on a jokey first half.
Not that I'm trashing polemical writing, I find stuff by Jean-Luc-Godard fucking funny.
Doing a giant mood piece isn't pretentious, because it probably doesn't have a concrete meaning any way.
While still keeping it with enough sophistication .
For example, doing a rant of a film will only communicate to your intellectual friends and people already in the know, the working class guy you want to inform with your societal/political/religious ideas , was probably watching a western back in the 60s/70s, just incorporate the themes into that while not sacrificing the films appeal
With regards to pretension, I think that comes into play when you have a director trying to communicate ideas but ends up becoming ridiculously, overly polemical, its better to communicate thought provoking ideas through something straight, while also remaining some distance.
I think it often happens when authors create things on the fly, at least with manga. You can see terrible forms of comedy/SoL -> drama/scifi switches among webcomics, which are usually done by "amateurs", some of them being pretty young. It's always good when a series hints or blatantly shows what it is during its first episodes/chapters. Not talking about mysteries but genres.
Usually for dramatic comedy to work I feel it needs to let the viewer know early on that the story will feature both....the sudden drama thing generally is a result where a funny film needs an ending and a story needs to be fabricated hastily.
Melodrama is like genre mixes. If it does work it can be something special, but it's really hard to write and most directors just lack the talent to do so. It's like a comedy that turns serious at some point. It CAN work, but there aren't many cases where that happens. Usually they're just alienating their comedy fans and the drama fans weren't there to begin with.
Same here
I think some really old Euro movies, latin ones especially get away with melodrama well because the acting was different and more theatrical .
If the mekodramatics can properly cast a spell on a viewer, I am open to it if the writers strong enough but in general, when I'm watching something, the best stories are the ones where the atmosphere is so assure I forget I'm watching fiction.
I know they just want to make their audience feel good but I think it's a terrible moral or idea. Especially since most people know at least one person they loved that died from such illnesses. No matter what they did or tried to do to overcome it.
Yeah exactly. Honestly most cancer movies are terrible I think. I also hate these series in which the main character, I don't know, wins a match for his cancer-ridden love and then s/he recovers.
@Amagi: Too silly for me, the psycho faces.
@Kaiser: Not using music can be a great method to illustrate serious moments I think.
I've spoken to my father about this, who recovered from cancer years ago, those kind of phrases irritate him, hr said " don't battle, fight cancer, you fucking suffer through it, then if your lucky you get through it"
I mean, again, I loved Madoka but I see how this method they used is kinda cheap. It's still better than many other series of that type. I am aready looking forward to see how terrible Magical Girl Site is, the trailer looks like a psycho face trash fest.
The really annoying thing is when some of these docs and dramas use phrases like "her battle, her FIGHT, her BRAVE fight against cancer.
I enjoyed Madoka but I know what you mean. I think I will never rewatch Madoka but I love to see certain Tutu- and Sailor Moon scenes from time to time. I think Madoka is kinda similar to netflix shows or code geass in that regard. It always ends with some evil cliffhanger to hype you up for the next episode and it throws in one shocking revelation after another for the same reason.
@Amagi: On the music thing, some documentaries do this. What I loved about Shoah and night and fog is that the directors showed the landscapes/buildings where it happened and never used music.
I mean I know how bad ww2 and other things were. I really don't need rain, sad music and lots of actor tears to realize that. It reminds me of the laughing tracks sitcoms have that tell you when you have to laugh. And newer movies have exaggerated effects as well, not a fan of that. I rather see well thought-out content than a bomb-show. Not to mention that I hate sensory overload.
Its also kind of why I can NEVER look at hentai of something I enjoyed when I was young.
Which I admit is bias and a crap opinion lol
I grew up with Cardcaptor Sakura and Sailormoon and looking into lighthearted mahou shoujo , I don't mind nanoha and tutu, but there was always the feeling madoka was corrupting something.
On dark moe, I've stopped with lol edgy when criticizing Madoka, I realize that its the equivalent to Batman porn to me, the idea of that level of a slant on a genre I went for when I was a kid.
I agree. I was interested in Schindler's List when I was ~12 or so because it was something new for me. Nowadays I realize it's not really my thing, there are many western war shows that come of as too "pathetic" to me, they feel too much like, well, Hollywood blockbusters (which is what they actually are) than a serious commetary on war or so.
@Amagi: Thats the trouble I have with Hollywood , a film about Autism like Rain man or a mental illness movie like I am Sam, these American movies never seem real and the depictions feel so hammy and inaccurate.
On the dark moe trope, rather than throwing out words on it, its the tonal inconsistency that gets to me.
Yeah the opposite is bad as well. A show can have good intentions, even lots of good ideas but still have a bad execution.
Schindler's list is a great example of this, personally I think popcorn drama/oscar baiting the holocaust is somewhat distasteful and the film comes off as comparitively ingenuinely when I've seen a couple of eastern war films by people who actually lived during the war.
And "egdy" is very much about the tone a series has and not so much the actual content. Therefore it has to be explained as well, a dark series, even one with lots of blood, isn't necessarily edgy, it depends on the stance the autor has, whom we're supposed to root for and why, how characters and scenes are depicted and the overall tone, moral and so on.
On another note, to go back to "critic proof", this is a terrible practice because it allows people to take an easy topic for a story and it become forbidden to give a bad review.
Yeah, "badly written" for example doesn't mean anything unless you're gonna illustrate how it is badly written by showing and analyzing examples from the show and explain why the writing for these scenes is weak
Thats why I like here, people actually talk about a show in some detail, even the reviewers.
An non-backed up opinion when I'm looking for a show to follow doesn't tell me anything, how am I meant to know to watch something based on a single word or sentence?
I suppose its less of a case of buzzwords and more how people don't explain anything . The reason I say I have to do a 300 word review or long opinion on something is because I feel buzzwords and one word/one sentence opinions are un-helpful.
@Amagi: And I think thats certainly an issue, the lines being bkurred between shitposting/trolling and genuine critique .
I mean there are a lot of badly written shows out there or shows that are too tryhard, but people often use these phrases as buzzwords for everything and don't state reasons for using these terms for a specific show. I see tons of "egdy" posts as soon as a series is a bit darker than the usual harem and it's hard to distinguish these pieces from actual shitposts or trolls.
It sounds better to say that I don't like something because it's too egdy, too stupid and pure pandering (when it's about moe) or "badly written" than saying that I can't relate to certain settings, characters and so one or that I've seen a certain idea too often.
@Kaiser: I think many people just don't want to admit that disliking a series is usually a subjective thing. They rather want to credit their own intelligence for not liking it.
New Boogiepop anime announced for 2018 o/

After the Rain – 10 [Sudden Shower]

At this point I can safely say that I will enjoy whatever direction Ameagari will wrap up. It has transformed from a merely love story between two adorable individuals with a huge age gap into something much deeper, more refine and more poetic. This episode is another stellar showcase in a way it feels entirely […]

Violet Evergarden – 10 [Loved Ones Will Always Watch Over You]

It’s a neat (and cruel) trick Violet Evergarden pulled this week. I always have a soft spot for mature undertone story from a point of view of kids (that’s why I am always fond of To Kill a Mockingbird, for instance) so this story is right within my wheelhouse. Violet Evergarden’s melodrama approach can be […]

A Place Further than the Universe – 11 [Bash That Drum Can!]

Another episode of Universe that delves into friendship issues. While I can see many hiccups along the way, I can still say the ride is worth it. Not that I think this episode stands out, rather that I don’t know exactly how I feel about this episode’s resolution. This episode features my favorite girl, a […]

Fate/Extra Last Encore – 07[A Story for Someone’s Sake ― Nursery・Rhyme ―]

Thus ends the Nursery Rhyme two episode arc and that certainly was more confusing than it needed to be. The fight was once again, anticlimactic and rather lacking strategy wish as well. I mean our protagonists kept talking like they had a plan but it pretty much amounted to just climbing the tower and fighting […]

Darling in the Franxx – 09[Triangle Bomb]

Today on Darling in the Franxx, death flags averted. I admit that throughout this episode I fully prepared myself to see Goro die. The signs were everywhere with him confirming to Hiro that he was in love with Ichigo, the mission leaving him stranded with a trolosuar, the hair clip as well as the base […]

Junji Ito Collection – 10[Greased/Bridge]

Ugh, I was lucky I ate before that first story started. Not so much scary but very disgusting with the oily dirty house and that brother with the pimples…ugh. This story is more gross out factor than actual horror as there isn’t really a plot besides this girl living with her horrible family in a […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 22 [As you sow, so shall you reap]

These past few episodes I have been rather critical of Mahoutsukai, and rightfully so I would say. The new characters are lackluster, the plot/stories dull. A 7/10 series at best. It is with this mindset, this frame of reference, that I can see “As you sow, so shall you reap” is the best episode of […]

Violet Evergarden – 08/09 [Violet Evergarden]

If I haven’t known beforehand that Violet Evergarden has 14 episodes, I would easily assume that this is the conclusion of Violet Evergarden. And in some ways, there is a strong sense of closure in this latest episode. This last two episodes have their full attention to the core development of Violet, that includes an […]

After the Rain – 08/09 [Quiet Rain/ Rain of Sorrow]

We take a side road from our main romance between Tachibana and Kondou in this last two episodes, instead focus on each own friendship, short story Rashomon and pimple. Not that I consider Ameagari anything less than stellar, the show moves with confident pace with so much lovely subtle details. After the unforgettable event where […]

Mary and the Witch’s Flower – 73/100 (Joint Review)

Wooper: Mary and the Witch’s Flower is the first feature film from Studio Ponoc, which spun off from Studio Ghibli in early 2015. Given Ghibli’s towering reputation, the bar was high for this inaugural flick, which recently made its way to U.S. theaters, giving Lenlo and I a chance to see it on the big […]

In This Corner of the World (2016) Movie Review – 90/100

In this Corner of the World (for the purpose of this review, I’ll refer it as “Corner”), is the truest slice of life drama if you ever encounter one, in that it’s a slice into an ordinary life of an ordinary girl during the War period. That speaks into the very first strength of Corner, […]

Houseki no Kuni (Fall 2017) Review – 92/100

Make no mistake, Houseki no Kuni is the most ambitious anime project of the year. Not only because it’s an entirely CG project (and make a damn good use of it, mind you), or because of its narrative scope that at once strange, grand and beauty, but also in its very conception in their production […]

Fate/Apocrypha Anime Review – 64/100

I was quite excited for Apocrypha and in the so called year of Fate adaptations, it looked to be the crown jewel. Sadly, partly due to lacking adaption and the source lacking in areas, this anime turned out to be not quite the jewel I thought it would be. It’s hard to call this a […]

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World Anime Review – 73/100

One of the surprises of the year was to see the return of Kino’s Journey, a very well regarded and more unique anime among those deemed classic. Many, myself included, were very much looking forward to the return of Kino and her talking Motorrad. Though due to some factors this series doesn’t quite live up […]

Girls’ Last Tour (Fall 2017) Review – 86/100

Girls’ Last Tour falls within my favorite new trend that emerging the anime medium over the last decade: a dark moe anime. Set in a post-apocalyptic world where the human race has almost extinct, our two girls wandering around the world in their kettenkrad looking for food and shelter. If it sounds a bit bleak […]

Two tales of War: Reviewing The Heroic Legend of Arslan and Altair: A Record of Battles

It would not be an exaggeration to say that my favorite type of anime is the political-military epic. This comes partly out of my profession, I study war and politics, but also my hobby, as military and political history is something I enjoy. When it comes to anime there is a clear sub-category that can […]

The Night is Short, Walk On Girl (2017) Movie Review – 92.5/100

“How many decades have passed since our drinking contest?” “It hasn’t been that long. It was only a few hours ago, this very night!” That gap in time perceiving plays a significant role in Night is Short. For you see, it all depends on how our perception of the surroundings and time itself can affect […]

Ballroom e Youkoso Review – 65/100

In the weeks leading up to the summer 2017 season, Ballroom e Youkoso was one of the most buzzed-about new series. Produced by the Production I.G. team responsible for the smash hit Haikyuu!!, and set to air on Amazon’s brand new Anime Strike service, the series had no shortage of promotion or hype behind it. […]