Posted by psgels on 7 June 2010 with categories: Senkou no Night Raid

I just realized something… episode seven still hasn’t gotten subbed, has it? Oh, what a terrible place for this series to get stuck: right before the point at which this series actually gets good. I’ve unfortunately seen a lot of negative comments here and there about this series because of it, and I really want to ask people: please, if you’re going to judge this series, wait until episode seven. It’s a huge turning-point. Series like this one should really be able to get more coverage so that they can keep making more of them. People keep saying that we need more mature series, but yeah that doesn’t work when series like this one hardly get any coverage. It’s thankfully not as extreme as with Mouryou no Hako or others, but still.

Of course, this series is also partly to blame. “Senkou no Night Raid”. A flashy night raid… that’s a terrible title to be honest.

In any case, it’s a bit of a shame, but in this episode you could again see that A-1 took a bit too much on its plate for this season. It’s a relative calm before the storm, and so they chose this episode for some budget cuts, which show themselves in a number of annoying off-models. And yet despite that this episode again delivered for me.

When at the beginning of the series, the superpowers were introduced, I wasn’t too big of a fan of it, however they ended up providing quite a bit of an interesting “what if”-scenario: what if a group of people knew about the atomic bombings beforehand? They won’t be just able to travel to America and stop the development, they also won’t get a lot of people to believe them. How far should they have gone, in such a turbulent time but when the war hasn’t even started yet? This episode is all about making these difficult decisions: what’s more important to you, your country or yourself, your position or your loved ones?

Despite the blocky drawings at times, I love how the creators are using their soundtrack here. The animation may have been flawed, but the pacing and direction still were very good. In fact, this series has the interesting pacing of Persona~Trinity Soul without most of the annoying baggage that made it a bit annoying to watch (the way in which it refused to focus on something interesting). Perhaps it has really helped that the series composition behind The Third has been working on this series. Either that, or the creators behind this series hit a major source of inspiration. I try, but I’m still often way wrong about which people or group of people is responsible for making an amazing anime.
Rating: ** (Excellent)

1. Bruce says:

Yes, episode seven still isn’t subbed. At this point subs are FOUR WEEKS BEHIND. My god.

The worst part about it was how every once in a while, there’s a release by a group… and then it’s episode six again.

2. AuroraFlame says:

Still stuck on 6. I have a feeling that when 7 is eventually released, it’s going to be the recap and not the actual episode…. and then they’ll just go on to 8….

3. binay says:

I heard that Phantom Subs has the copy of the streamed version of episode 7. But because all of their translators are busy in RL, it’s really going to take a while. Plus, I noticed a lot of people are dropping this series.

4. chounokoe says:

You really hit one of the major ironic problems. It’s sad how everybody is screaming for more mature shows, but nobody is covering them.

I understand that those episodes are a bit harder to translate, because you actually have to research some words, terms and places to get it if your not really knowledgable of the topic.
    I only did the translation for Mouryou no Hako 13 back then, but I know it’s work…still I’d wish instead of 20 groups all doing the same easy to translate shows, some would at least try to get something in this field done.

And I really love where this series is heading, but I still wonder how far (as in which point in time) they will go.
    So they know that WW2 is about to start and how the idea of a seperation of East and West was ludicrous from the start.
    But will they actually show the events of the war in the final 2 episodes (maybe the beginning in the next), or are they going to go up to the events that actually started it?

5. anon says:

It’s not about the series, it’s about the subject matter.

All you westerners might not know it, but this subject is still a VERY VERY touch subject in the Orients.

This series is already banned in china, and I think korea too. And general japanese population is pretty much ignoring it. Pretty much everyone in all three country can’t wait for this series to end. It’s already straining the relationship way too much in an already very unstable situation. The situation is very very volatile right now.

Frankly, the only people that are watching this are westerners that don’t have a clue about the politics in the Orient right now.

And for goodness sake, it’s not about who’s right or wrong, that’s not it, we orientals just don’t want to talk about it.

It’s like if one day someone made a show denying the holocaust or showing another version of the nazis. You would want it to end as soon as possible, right? Pretty much the same thing.

6. binay says:

@anon: Wait, is there news that this series already banned in China?

7. wandering-dreamer says:

But I was under the impression that it was Western groups that were fansubbing it so, provided they can get the RAWs, the cultural problem wouldn’t cause delays. If it being subbed in the East then, well, I have a hard time imagining groups picking up since everyone guessed it might go this way.

8. Ebod says:

>>binay

LOL, banning anime in China means almost nothing. Death Note’s “banned,” but everyone watches it illegally anyways.

9. anon says:

First of all, the Death Note ban was only that one region in one province in china where kids were being stupid about it.

Second of all, you can’t watch without subs. And no chinese guy will sub this. Understand?

10. binay says:

Idk but some Japanese viewers are not acquainted with history and yet, they are still watching this.

11. Troyen says:

I was guessing that the reason there’s no subbed episode 7 is that the raw quality from the streamed episode wasn’t on par with the other episodes causing some groups to wait until a better source becomes available (DVD?).

12. Bruce says:

I suppose if it’s a political thing then that’s too bad and it’s also a shame as well – there need to be more guts in anime production and more of a willingness to produce works that are unconventional, even if controversial.

13. treble89 says:

Ya,there was no subbed Senkou on chinese website, too bad,I only watched the first episode on youtube.

14. chounokoe says:

@anon: Do films like the Indiana Jones trilogy, Inglorious Basterds or Hellboy ring a bell?
    And Nazis and Nazi Germany have been an existent part of popular culture even before that…

I think to say that the only people interested in this show are those with no actual knowledge of the political situation in East Asia is pretty narrow-minded.

15. c160 says:

To people who think this show is disrespectful,I know they won’t watch it and I can understand why.But saying all those nasty stuff about people who watch it,I can’t agree with.I’m from SE Asia and I’m watching it.And I know about the political situation,and thats exactly why I’m watching,cause I wanna see how the creators handle the situation.So saying only ignorant people watch this show,that’s a bit mean T_T

16. Nonoy says:

Don’t forget Valkyrie (starring Tom Cruise) in which it’s all about a Nazi Officer (in RL) and his men who plot to kill Hitler.

But I just want to say that I’m from one of those Asian countries who are under the Japanese occupation during WWII. And in fact, I don’t like what they did to my country at that time most especially with regards to comfort women. Heck, when former PM Shinzo Abe denied about the issue on comfort women, we are angry at that response.

But still, I’m watching this series because it’s espionage and moe-less even though they did put the superpowers thing which reminded me of Darker than Black.

Anyway, let’s just wait for the series to end since there are only 3 episode left.

17. wandering-dreamer says:

@anon: No need to get snippy, I wasn’t aware that, as it seems you are suggesting, the majority of fansubs were done by Chinese fans. I know it’s common to work off of Chinese RAWS for manga but wasn’t aware it was a similar situation for anime.
    And you know what? Even if there aren’t fansubs I can still read the reviews here and on another site or two, read the real history, and figure out what’s going on. Plus, the fact that anime has you know, moving pictures helps out quite a bit as well.

18. Sacchi says:

I quited this show in episode 5. Are you saying it became an awesome anime? Should I continue watching?

19. Bruce says:

@Sacchi: yes, if you can watch without subs.

20. anon says:

chounokoe, Nonoy, all those shows you mentioned upheld society’s norm and standard. Valkyrie, Inglorious Bastard, shows Nazis as evil beings that should be killed/tortured. Indiana Jones shows natives as savages that are inferior to white men, russians as evil people(those that were made during the Cold War).

I am talking about if someone made a show that went AGAINST what people considers acceptable beliefs. What if someone made a film showing that nazi were actually very nice and that the allies were actually way worse? What if someone made a film saying that the Holocaust never happened? What if someone made a show saying that Ann Frank was killed by the allies and later blamed on the nazies?

Seriously, what we have here is literally a show showing chinese as dumb, inferior creatures that runs around stupid and japanese as smart, cool people that pwns without much effort. How does that make you feel as a chinese person?

21. chounokoe says:

@anon: Where exactly in this show do you see Chinese people – or any nation at all – being depicted as dumb and/or inferior?!

Yes, the crimes commited in the name of the NSDAP and the German Reich were horrible…but your black and white view on such topics is not an ounce better than that of any of the extremist right-wing Japanese’ who you so despise.

What was done by the allied forces, was maybe not worse, but they did some terrible things as well.
    And there are some movies out there which do not only show a propagandistic view on the evil Nazi. I mean…if everyone involved with the Axis powers was pure evil, why wasn’t every German, Italian or other person living under their rule tortured and killed like you want them to be?!

22. AKI says:

Pretty much the same here, I’m from SE Asia myself and I wanted to watch the series for its historic bits and pieces (ironic, since this series has espers all over it). I’m a WWII trivia addict anyway and I’d love to see what will this series portray as a precursor to the war (such a shame that Zipang ended when the arc already arrived in China). Here’s to hoping that the rest of the series will get subbed.

23. Bruce says:

@anon

I suggest you watch Der Untergang (or Downfall, in English). It portrays Hitler as something other than a flaming incarnate of hatred and as a human being. And it was LOVED by film critics everywhere.

Another example would be Grave of the Fireflies. It shows the horrible fire bombings committed by the United States that devastated Japan near the end of the second world war. The US is the primary antagonist here. Grave of the Fireflies was well received as well.

24. Nonoy says:

@anon: I was also wandering if you ever watched Letter from Iwo Jima. That movie appeared on many critics’ top ten lists of the best films of 2006. It is just shows the different sides of the Japanese soldiers in that island who are aware that they are going to die.

And so far, what I’ve seen in this episode, it just shows Isao trying to achieve his Pan-Asianism plan.

25. Machi says:

Just nitpicking on examples given… Inglorious Basterds DID offend people, in fact there were film symposiums on film and history in its depictions and re-imaginations that did bring up Inglorious Basterds and acknowledged that it IS offending. However, they also did note that while it IS offending fact is the director given his oeuvre (body of work) as well as his statements has never been politically mature in the first place so while offense is taken it is softened by the weakness on the field by the director. What is notable about the offense though is NOT the fact that he opted to portray the Germans in such a manner but that his work only exemplified the LACK of understanding or conciliating the events and nature of world war 2. Its not offending per se to depict Germans in another,light even sympathetic, after all we’re all still trying to understand WWII and it would be myopic to only look at one side but if you put out a view that blatantly is ignorant when you have all the material right there, well you get the point as to why Inglorious Basterds IS offending.

In the same way Indiana Jones (the new one) did offend Russians, as it still played on a stereo type from the Cold War. Which unfortunately given prior political events, i.e. Georgia, there was tension in the relations.

26. anon says:

“There have been films about Terrorists, Soviets, Nazis, whatever, that have all been received well in the United States.”

we are talking about Asia here.

“But concerning your comment that Nazis should be depicted as “evil beings that should be killed/tortured”, I am honestly shocked.”

no, read the previous sentence. it is what people expect to be shown.

Seriously, I am using the nazi example to perhaps help you westerner understand maybe a bit of what us orientals are feeling. But it appears to be much to high for your intelligence. Judging by all the responses, especially the nitpickings, it seems that it has all been a waste of time.

Understand the difference! Nazi apologized, they passed laws banning nazi related discussion, objects etc. And they did NOT enact a shrine for the dead nor declare them as heroes or try to justify their actions or the war in general in anyway. Japan has never apologized nor admitted the killings. They have apologized for the comfort woman but NOT the killings. They have allowed to people to openly deny. They have built a shrine, etc, etc.

Thus, there has been much tension between the three nations, which gets blown over whenever shit like this happens, a text book edited, a tv show made, etc. Last time a Japanese embassy was trashed. Everybody is trying to avoid straining the tension and avoiding the issue. Do you understand? There is no tension in europe, but there is in asia.

Try to feel what it is like for each of three nations, and then perhaps you will understand the impact that such shows like this has on an already extremely strained tension.

27. wandering-dreamer says:

Did the actual Nazis, people who were firm believers in Hitler and not people of Germany who were forced to act, actually apologize? I don’t recall that and, even if there are laws limiting neo-Nazis, they are still around and there are still well-known people in the world who deny the Holocaust as well. It feels like you’re trying to go “Oh, we’re TOOOTTAAALLLYYYY different, the rest of you just don’t have anything close enough to fathom our suffering!” And I’ll admit, the Japanese government is making an ass out of itself in all of these related cases and it was a number of horrifying events. We’re not trying to make light of it, but when people keep saying “And we still hate them so we WON’T TALK ABOUT IT” it gets bit hard to sympathize.
    Of course, if we had subs for these episodes we might be able to understand what’s going on better as well….

28. Bruce says:

@anon

Okay, I understand the political climate of the orient. I understand that a work such as this can be pretty controversial. But does that mean that it shouldn’t be made? Absolutely not. I listed all of those possibly controversial works to show that this is definitely not the case. I believe that the only way for actual progress to be made foreign policy wise between Japan and the rest of Asia is for there to be actual confrontations between both groups. And it’s not as if these relationships stem from something that hasn’t been experienced in the west. The United States destroyed many cities through bombing, both conventional and nuclear, in Japan during WWII, and afterwards went in and reconstructed the government with little to no regard for Japanese culture. Yet, today the US enjoys mostly positive foreign policy with Japan.

The only reason why there is still such animosity between Japan, Korea, and China is because everyone is trying their best to ignore that anything happened between 1900-1950 regard Japan’s imperialism. Japan seriously needs to confront and admit what they did during those years, and the only way to do that is through provocation.

29. Ebod says:

>>anon who replied to me

Chinese subs are still being released for this anime, so, uh. Yeah. Yes, it’s ‘banned,’ much like illegally subbed anime is banned in both China and here.

As in it does almost nothing.

30. psgels psgels says:

Anon: you say that this series should never have been made, but as a westerner, I knew hardly anything about the conflict in the east prior to watching this series (our history classes never even mentioned it), and yet right now I know a lot more about what went on during those times. Shouldn’t that be good?

There are of course those horribly nationalistic series as Kishin Taisen Gigantic formula, but I do feel that Night Raid is fundamentally different here. I don’t really see how the chinese here are portrayed as dumb. In fact, the past few episodes have really stressed that the Japanese were very much the bastards here. The only thing is that the lead characters are all Japanese, so that’s why they get more depth than the Chinese. To me, it just seems like a persective choice than trying to portray them as ‘dumb’.

31. FPJ says:

@anon: Honestly, did you even bother to watch the show? So far, there are no Chinese characters who are portrayed as the major antagonists here. Well, of course, there’s a Chinese girl but she only serves as a side character, nothing more.

32. Kane says:

Okie… I’m not going to get into the big political and cultural debate going on, but what I will say is that on myanimelist.net, one of the guys who’s part of a fansub group working on this show says the delay is because episode 7 (the online streamed one, not the recap) has a lot of Japanese military lingo that only one of their translators can make sense out of.

And it just so happens this one guy hasn’t been available lately. So… yeah.

33. chounokoe says:

@anon: I don’t know if your lack of knowledge about the Western situation during and after the World Wars is just due to you being blinded by propaganda yourself…or if you just don’t know anything about it.

Nazis(!) apologized for their actions?! No!
    Right Wing politics is not banned as you describe it, just certain symbols, which just adds a sugar coating to the fact that it cannot be forbidden.
    Germany was almost completely destroyed by the allied forces and the public had to suffer from it. They actually went about so sloppily that most higher personal from the Nazi regime could either commit suicide or go into hiding before they could do much about it.

And please DON’T come up with the Yasukuni argument again.
    The shrine existed prior to WW2 and WW1 and it’s intention is not to worship soldiers as heroes…

And the fact that it’s this easy for a Japanese embassy to ‘get trashed’, only because of a depiction of something in popular culture…it shows as much the flaws of the attacker if not more.
    Or would you also excuse it as right, if a US embassy was ‘trashed’ in the middle east, because female US tourists did not cover their face properly?
    Of course such things are ‘understandable’ on an abstracts scale, but to excuse them is just giving in to human weakness.

Of course somehow we’re forcing Western principles on you here, that problems should be discussed and not ignored until they fade away…but couldn’t it be, that in this case it is something where countries could learn something from another?

34. Frotee says:

As it happens, I actually did know something about the Manchuria conflict before this anime started, but only because we prepared some lessons ourselves in the last year of school. I was quite happy when this show started, as I found the historic content really interesting and was eager to see how the whole affair was to be pictured. As far as episode 6, however, I could not see the Chinese being shown as dumb and inferior and the Japanese as rightful and justified invaders – so where exactly is the problem? Why on earth should controversial historic subjects not be depicted at all? I mean, it’s not like it’s going away just because you don’t talk about it…

On a side note, there are war-memorials for those Germans who fell during WWII – all over Germany, in fact. Just remember – hitler was the head of a dictatorship. People had not much choice but to follow or be executed (if they didn’t go into hiding). Additionally, the young ones were fed the doctrine every day, they had lessons in school about which race was superior and why (Rassenkunde), and were organised in youth camps doing fun and doctrine-following stuff when they weren’t in school.
    I’m not saying you should’nt blame people at all, just that there were reasons why the populace behaved as they did. I do think you can transfer that to the Japanese. If they are not educated in a way that shows them all the sides, how are they to expect something other than what they were taught?

35. ves says:

Woah, I haven’t fully caught up with all the shows I’m watching thanks to RL stuff, but the insane amount of comments for this under-radar show was too abnormal for me not to click.

A quick check with Chinese websites show that there is still at least one group subbing this, and even ep 10 is out. Uh anon, your argument for this doesn’t stand. Neither have I been catching up with anime news, so unless you can provide official links to show that this has been banned in China and Korea, it’s hard to believe.

Before you jump to the conclusions that only idiot westerners who have no link to this history watch this show – I have innocent relatives who were killed by Japanese army, but I’m still watching this show. Likewise, I want the Japanese to realise their war crimes and not gloss over to make it sparklingly rose-tinted. Indeed, this show has not shown much of what the Chinese can do – but it is about Japanese people in Shanghai, working for a Japan-affiliated company (this part, I need to refresh my memory on), so I’ll look over it for now.
    So far it doesn’t seem like they’re going on the “wow Japan is great! They should conquer Asia!” route. If they do go down that route, or justify the war atrocities that the Japanese committed, I would be definitely drop this show.

anon is sure evoking lots of responses.. anyway, I like how that the creators haven’t outright made Japan the good justifiable conqueror for now but explored other options as well.

36. Kalandra says:

Meh, generally there is less interest in such anime anyway, so there is less subbers. To blame that on anti-Japanese sentiment is rather blah.

37. Ncrdrg says:

Personally speaking, I found Episode Seven to be one of the most boring episodes I ever watched in anime.
    Well, thankfully, Episode 10+ seems more interesting.
    But at least, I now understand the sharp divide between your interests and mine : I really loathe when anime is just all talk and no action and no intrigue. As such, I took several naps in episode 7 since it was just blah blah blah and nothing interesting happening.
    But you seem to thrive on that slow-moving stuff when I find it unforgivable to have good material and yet just refuse to mix up some action scenes with it.

*reviewing
It was your review that got me interested in the film mario.
Ah, I know that feeling, having to get out all my thoughts immediately. I also stream of consciousness what I write whether it be a poem or review then go back to edit, shows the passion a person has for what they're review.
It was just 3 years ago. I think I MUST review everything as soon as I finish, otherwise I will forget. Getting old now. Dang it
It was a great review, Kaiser. I also feel comparing Black Coal to Memories of Murders don't do this film justice too (although to be hinest I don't see the comparison). Your review just reminds me that I did review that film on Letterboxd, thou for the life of me, when I read ny own review I had no clue that i did write it
@K-off: Constantine was really the only reason I would have considered seeing the film, as I enjoyed some of the comics he appeared in.
Yaaay! Favaro is back!
@Mario: Ah, now I remember, I stopped watching ghost hound at around episode 14 or 15 years ago.
Justice League Dark ended up being one of the weakest among the recent animated dc films. The opening was intriguing but it drops the ball as soon as it focuses on Zatanna and Constantine...The demonic manipulation of people isn't tied well enough to the villain, so that premise ends up feeling pointless, everything is inconsequential by the end. Why was this even made?
And for once, I feel that developing the characters isn't a appropriate choice for this type of show. The main cast need to develop, yes, but most of the supporting cast was presented as ambiguous and mysterious, thus making them change in the end feel just wrong
The main kidnapping was never addressed thoroughly, and it should be the main overarching arc, instead of this ending.
So... I've just binged through Ghost Hound. It starts as a compelling psychological mystery series, and ends up being... thriller of sort? The first half, building up stage was its best, and then unfortunately it run out of steam
Hey Favoro is like a good whiskey. You gotta drink it slow and enjoy it :)

I liked Predators.
Spike
8 episodes in we finally get to see who we were all waiting for in Bahamut! ...for 2 seconds.
I did watch the version with the alien coming out of the ox. I haven't watched Predators, AVP1 was ok, like the newer movies its just the human element that has consistently gotten worse and unmemorable. I think that element in particular made me enjoy watching Alien 3 now, than if I had watched it in order, considering how it begins.
Thankfully the franchise can never fall as low as the predator reboot or alien vs predator.
@Vonter: Be sure you're watching the extended version.
I liked 3/4s of this film, as the plans to kill the alien got more cumbersome the film got more tiring. And I think it was obligated to annihilate the cast considering they take the time to take out a whole bunch of them. I also think it's very noticeable the tiring production this had, and while people praise practical effects now, this movie sadly didn't integrate well the alien puppet.
I've just watched Alien 3, the only Alien movie I hadn't seen do to the diviseness towards it. I think I went with the best expectations considering now on hindsight newer movies have made it look more competent, having more weight. This movie has characters, integrates the religious motiffs better, the Alien more than a closet monster is a formidable force of nature.
.....It just dawn on me looking through my letterboxd account...I have never seen afro samurai...
@Kaiser: I'm on hold with SukaSuka as well after 5 episodes. Ejoyable so far but its LN's tendencies hurt the show
@Kaiser: yeah, like I said in one of my weekly post, Tsuki ga Kirei is simple, but isn't easily obtained. At this point, I'm truly invested in these kids that it makes me tense just to see how they keep up with their relationship, haha.
I have yet to catch up with sukasuka and don't care about bahamut all that much.
I feel its sweet and sensitive approach has a rhythm to it that I started going along with.
It’s obviously slow but I began not noticing the time go by as I watched more.
The art makes me think of Shimura Takako’s and makes me wonder what the series might have been like if she wrote it.
The dub is mediocre so after 3 episodes I switched to subs.
The relative quietness and how scaled back in comparison to other anime romances is welcome and it never becomes dramatically or comedically obnoxious which I think is in its favour.
I decided to catch up on tsuki ga kirei. We said this before, but that scene where he meets the publisher about his writing is a stand out one.
For the show overall so far itself, above all I see it as something simple, un-demanding to watch, its good a break from all those old/art films I have to concentrate on harder to follow.
Maybe Goth would count but its more o a mystery manga.
Not familiar with shibito or sugar life. May as well recommend everything by Kazuo Umezu and Junji ito. 6000 ended disappointingly, I fell behind in dead tube. Does sugar dark count?
I am a Hero is a personal favorite of mine
@Anon: Uzumaki, Shibito no Koe o Kiku ga Yoi, Happy Suger Life, 6000 and Dead Tube. I suppose.
What is some good horror manga
@Mario I also noticed that korean thrillers are way too obnoxious with shakycam.
@Mario, about LWA, that was how I felt. Its just not as magical, as special, as the original OVA was to me. I suppose thats to much to ask for a 25 ep series, but it turned me off
@Mario, TV Diana has some charm points but I think OVA Diana provided a better dynamic. I mean sure, She was essentially female Draco Malfoy but her attitude made reveals like her being a secret Chariot fan more impactful. Plus her tsundere act torwards Akko was rather adorable.
about LWA again, unlike Aidan I actually enjoy this version of Diana. I know she's one note, too perfect but she's charming. Too charming haha which serves well as a contrast to Akko
...just pop one random film from him. His films are not without its bad side thou, in particular I find the dialogues shapeless and dragging. But well it does add to the naturalness of his films
on LWA I would also recommended it. It is a fluffy show, with a sense of wonder. Some episodes are better, some are more flat, and the over-arching storyline leaves me bored. But it does have that sense of childlike wonder, which I had missed among all the "grim" shows.
@Kaiser: I have a bit of problems with Korean movies lately as now they're heavily thriller style-over-substance films, so films that have very simple style like Hong-Sang-Soo's joints are the welcome change of air. One thing about his films thou, If you watched one of his film, you've watched them all. They're so similar in tones and concepts that I reckon if you feel like watching his films...
So I say it's still worth finishing. It's good but I don't feel the sparks that made it so great from the OVAs anymore
@Lenlo: about LWA. Plus side: Those hijinks. I mean the show is fun and magical. Negative side: I wish the show's storytelling is a bit tighter, each episode feels so loose it doesn't add up much and more like different variations of Akko + one member of the cast's hijink. Doesn't help either that the other casts just disappeared until they have an episode for 2 for themselves
@Anon1113829: I "enjoyed" Beyond the Boundary, but that show was a mess. The episode 10 was stand out for me, and the ending was kinda... a wreck. Certainly interesting but quality-wise I wouldn't reccommend it
@SuperMario KyoAni fan? What did you think of Kyoukai no Kanata? I really wanted to like it, I thought it had some potential, but IMO nothing worked right.
@Lenlo, It's good. Fun to watch certainly. Though sadly it falls short of being great.
So question: Is Little Witch Academia worth finishing atm? I started it last season, but for some reason it just fell off my radar
@Mario: Thankfully, while not entirely satisfying, day he arrives is just the Korean film I've been looking for, refreshingly more low key, quieter and I enjoyed the new wavy combined with raw style, making it all feel very natural.
@Mario: Well then, thanks for the rec on Hong-sang-so, I looked at The day he arrives. Y'know the reason I sometimes dread going into films featuring romance is because I'm conditioned from seeing the bad ones.
....I may actually read this, the last time I read a manga steeped in politics was Sanctuary: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle:_The_Making_of_an_Asian-American_President
@Aidan: I actually have very limited experience with Ellis as a comic book writer, only read Transmetropolitan, I know he's writing the Castlevania adaptation.
@Aidan: I heard the same thing; can't help being a completist though so I'll eventually get to them
@Mario, From what I heard, it doesn't get better.
@Kaiser: that scene from the 1st episode of Phantom world lost me... but even then I'm willing to give the show another chance. That's how far I would go ^^ https://mobile.twitter.com/aaapodcast/status/687148875052892160/photo/2
@Kaiser, Looks like they are putting some real effort into it. May actually turn out pretty good after all.
@K-Off, Under the Red hood is a damn fine movie. Likely one of the best of the DC animated universe. Though try Superman vs the elite out. It's pretty good.
Even phantom world Mario...even phantom world ? =)
Just the teaser trailer, not much to go on, but heres a short preview of that netflix castlevania thing that got mentioned on here a while back, up the quality to 360p:
At this stage, I'm pretty much KyoAni fanboy now so with every new material, I'll hype it up to the sky ^^
@Mario: I did follow it up with The spy who loved me though to cheer myself up =P Given that Rodger Moore just died =)
@Kaiser: just looked through what Short Men Behind the Sun is about: "human experiments carried out by Japanese army during WW2?" Already sound grim and too real. Then "a graphic depiction of the human experiments" haha no wonder you felt unsettled Kaiser
VyseLegendaire
My favorite Exploitation Flick is An Inconvenient Truth 2.0
@Mario: Long story short men behind the sun is finally the exploitation flick that defeated me and actually made me unsettled.
@Mario: I remember you talking about how Salo really affected you as an exploitation film, generally exploitation films don't shock or disturb me, but I just watched the cantonese dubbed version of Men behind the sun.
And the worst thing about beyond the boundry and phantom world, it discolours my opinion of kyoani as a whole, making me negatively reflect on older work they did .
Yep, that's the new KyoAni one. Like Puran I don't have any expectations of it. The premise certainly seems like the closest they have come to breaking out of there usual format but I am sure they will find a way to shove in Moe antics. Though based on what is seen so far it looks like they are trying to emulate Key.
Puran
Is that a new KyoAni anime?.. I have lost faith in them a long time ago. Last Anime from them that I cared about was probably Hyouka
Bring you some news, Violet Evergarden will be aired as an anime TV. Though many sources saying it gonna air this year, it has a better possibility to air next year
Well, aesthetically, he's pretty much on par with Yang and Wong. It's just that his films are often emotionally distant, feel more like watching the paint dry hahaa
@Mario: I connect more emotionally with Yang and Wong.
@Mario: I went in expecting Edward Yang and Kar-wong-wai levels of quality, which may have been quite unfair standards to put him up against.
I myself find his films difficult to watch, but when the films end they usually hold up very very well. Both The Assassin and 3 Times in particular are my favorite of the year
@Kaiser: I completely understand your reaction because his films are demanding as hell. I remembered watching The Assassin in big screen, 3 people next to me fall asleep, one of them snoring and the other one fall asleep within the first 10 mins. That Hou Hsiao's movies for you
@Mario: Its such a shame because he makes gorgeous cinema and City of sadness is actually pretty informative account of the times....I just can't jive with him and I actually like "slow cinema" but watching his work is insanity inducingly boring for me.
@Mario: ....I'm really sorry, I don't mind long slow even spiritual, talky, non-narrative, old, complex,meditative , art films but I'm really really finding it hard to watch Hou Hsiao's work, I've tried time to live and the Assassin and I just bailed after 2 out of 3 hours on city of sadness.
I have to say Akko is developing nicely as a character in LWA. Also Magane in Re:Creators reminds me of Hannibal as palyed by Mads Mikkelsen. There is that same est for life married to sociopath that is a bit charming :) Mamika's character is also just cool. Beyond that AofT and Bahamut both delivered competent episodes, with Bahamut a good mix between comedy and tragedy.
@Aidan Assault on Arkham was fantastic. Between that and Under the Red Hood, a classic.
@Kaiser: I have a lot to say in this week's Eccentric Family. Review will come up later tonight when I get back home from work.
Seen Assault on Arkham or what it should be called, The animated Suicide Squad movie. Thinking of checking out Dark.
@Aidan: Have you seen assault on Arkham or the justice league dark film?
@Aidan: It isn't so much because its Talia x Batman, moreso that it feels odd shipping Batman with anyone.
While kind of amusing, initially I wasn't too into Uchouten this week, the hot spring part got me groaning, but then someway through dramatically it really picked up.
From reading comics a few years back, I still feel that they adapt better to animation.
@Vonter: And I say this as someone who was able to defend Alien 3 and Ressurection.
Covenent felt like an Infantilized version of Alien.
I wouldn't call either John Wick film or free fire amazing or anything but they had great fight scenes that were actually visually coherent , of course they weren't given a proper release.
I'm not watching/paying for anymore of these reboots/remakes/shakey cam pg rated action films anymore. I'll stick with my balls to the wall Hong-Kong/Chinese ones.
@Vonter: It also had really uneven pacing aswell.
@Vonter: ....The dialogue is so embarassing, they don't do enough with this backstory, they just keep teasing, none of the new characters have the same charisma , the editting in the action scenes shakes all overtheplace.
@Vonter: I gave Covenent a fair chance, I thought it would be an exception to the reboot thing. I'll admit theres the sets, the atmosphere, Fassbenders performance , the idea to expand on the franchises mythos is cool but....
It really really hurts as a film fan, trying to find older, genuinely quality foreign films , finding that no-one is seeding them and theres no proper/in print dvd release anymore. Then finding some awful shakey cam modern American superhero film with billions of seeds and a bluray release.
@K-Off, I don't know. Todd was more the imperfect son always aiming for batmans approval. Damian is more an assasin wondering why the hell he can't just kill his enemies. I hear that Comic Damian works better than Animated Damian. I do think that if given a personality he could work but as he is currently you are right that he's essentially a mishmash of past robins.
I watched Alien Covenant and I don't know if it improves by being more dumb and less pretentious or if it os the final nail in the Alien franchise coffin. Not since the StarWats prequels there has been a retcon that changes your view of the original movies.
I can recall enjoying a certain Jason Todd centered story called Batman:death in the family.
Well, even when Damian does completely cross the line and become a villain, he's not even that interesting, i.e Injustice. Yup, Jason Todd already covered everything, but better.
Problem is that he's an edge lord cocky piece of shit that just doesn't have enough likeable traits for this to be compelling. What really pushed him over the edge was mocking Nightwing over his parents deaths. That shit is not on.
@K-Off, I like the contrast that Batman refuses to cross the line and kill but Damian has crossed that line. As well as his potentail to become a villain. Tim and Dick didn't really have that though Jason sort of did. Damian's arc is more about teaching him the morality of a hero.
@Aidan I'm not sure I like Damian's concept to begin with. The Bat-son dilemma's inherently addressed by the Robins for all intents and purposes. Damian just goes through the same motion, only difference being he's biologically related.
Yup. Wonderwoman either doesn't need to have a love interest, or it needs to be with Steve Trevor, the two have a solid backstory that the movies unnecessarily removed.
@Kaiser, I don't mind the Taila X batman pairing. Makes more sense than Batman and Batgirl. But if there's one pairing pushed in the new movies that I just find wrong is the Superman X wonder woman. I just don't get that one.
@K-Off, I like the concept of Damian as a character. But it's executed so badly.
Teen titans needs one more season to wrap up all the loose ends. Such as what happens to Slade, and Blackfires revenge. The creators clearly wanted to explore those plot lines but got cut short.
Teen Titans hasn't aged very well, but one thing I still do like about it is how contained and local the setting and cast were for the first half of that show. When godly superpowers are involved, that appeals to me. Much of the same reason why I like Logan and Raimi's Spiderman so much.
Very rarely watched teen titans when I was younger, I was vaguely interested in slade, stopped watching around when Terra appeared. I actively avoided comics where Damien appeared, never liked that Talia x Batman pairing much, I can only imagine how much worse it is to listen to Damien than read him.
@Aidan, I like some aspects of those movies, but I'm not a big fan of the new continuity and art style in general...and yeah it doesn't help that Damian is irredeemably unlikable.
@K-Off, There is also the DC animated Teen Titans movies like Teen Titans vs Justice Leage and Teen titans the Judus contract. Though it's not the same as the the TV series and Damian is such a dick.
@Anon I don't think Teen Titans needs another season. The last season wasn't that good, but the movie ended the series on a high note and Young Justice pretty much rebooted everything, at least in terms of replacing people's want for a more mature DC cartoon about the Titans.
Yeah it's become more of a hassel (for myself and my friends) to set aside time to go to a theater.
I guess in the end it all comes down to how easily it reaches the viewers. Give us a hard time and we don't give a damn to check the new movie/show out
... otherwise have to wait for a year, even more before it reaches Australia. But many companies will raise in the wake of Netflix and that will be where problems arise
This trend isn't happening within the anime industry, but it's happening in the movie world as well. In the past 2 years, Netflix starts to exclusively distribute many films, meaning that they won't have theatrical release, but straight to Video on Demand which caused quite a stir in the industry. Personally, I actually don't have much problem with it as now I will get a chance to see a film that
Dive!! , a series that will air next season on noitaminA slot will stream exclusively on Amazon Prime Video. Not that I'm eagerly looking forward to Dive, but that news again makes me frustrated. No one will watch it and then all the hypes it might have will die down eventually.
Considering I didn't even expect a season 5 it's more than I could've evr wanted. Now if only if only Teen Titans could get the same chance.
Oh yeah, it turned out well. Didnt mean to say it didnt.
@Lenlo, Considering that the ratio of great to alright episodes is 8 to 2 I say that it turned out pretty well.
I have to say, the Samurai Jack season started stronger than it ended imo
So this is how Samurai Jack ends. 16 years in the making. Honestly considering how much needed to get wrapped up I knew the ending would be a bit flawed. Really think Gen should have givin it one more episode to flesh out the ending and then it wouldn't feel so rushed. Overall despite it's flaws, it's a decent ending. Not prefect by any means but it will do the job.
Lol theres a surprise, seriously, Black Lagoons manga is updating again.
worst recap ever for me? Gangsta. That was a stupid recap episode. Really like a Public Announcement. Useless, stupid, and ruining atmosphere. Utter stupidity. There I got it our of me :p
@Masky: Unfortunately too far behind in the sequel manga to catch up, I did take a look at THAT in the latest chapter though.
Huh, for some reason thought Tokyo Ghoul was under shonen when its seinen. Welp now that makes more sense, I was thinking story about cannibalism would be kinda absurd for shonen.
Spike
They serve no purpose except to fill airtime when production gets fucked up. They have 2 bad choices - run a recap or run an unfinished episode. Recap is generally the less dogshit choice. I've seen a few anime that ran the episodes with unfinished animations and still frames.... the backlash was about 100x what a recap is.
I'm about to say that to you as well Kaiser, maybe watch the recap and then continue on. The only thing I kind of take from the recap episode is the editting: how they chop off the fat of 6 episodes to still give you important developments. But as a way to catch up/ to reintroduce the series, it's freaking useless
I don't think anyone should start from the recap episode. Unless there was a long hiatus, a recap in between episodes is unnecessary for new viewers and old
I mean, aside from whatever happens with Mugaro.
Next episode seems early, out of 24 episodes, for Nina to learn the Prince is Chris, yet that seems to be what the confrontation is leading towards, and then she freaks out and he learns shes the dragon. Becomes the conflict for the rest of the season?
Seems I was right, Azazel didnt predict that Nina might not be so easily riled up as she once was. To bad so sad Azazel, she has someone she loves now.
How useful are these recap episodes anyway/actually? Hypothetically lets say I was feeling lazy and decided to watch tsuki ga kirei starting from the recap episode.
[link src="https://www.anirena.com/?s=blame

So long as there are consequences for how hes acting, then I am ok with it. I just dont want him to turn into some MC hero when hes acting like this.
And in Re:Creators Sota is still being a goddamn pussy. Now that the exposition has gone down I am really starting to hate this kid.
It's the presentation that they differ. Ghost Hound focuses more on the atmosphere, so those details I mentioned before work for their benefits; whereas Sagrada Reset focus on plots (and confusing themes) so those stick out like sore thumb.
4 episodes into Ghost Hound so far. This show also reminds me a bit of Sagrada Reset this season- the way they both emotional distant, complex plots; keep viewers away at arm's length, and feature characters that have robotic facial expressions. Yet I enjoyed Ghost Hound so far and couldn't engage in Sagrada Reset at all.
@Spike: I was like... "tsuki ga kirei has a recap episode, so let's move on to Kado"... another recap. Tsuki ga kirei I'm not too worry as it confirmed that it'll have 12 episodes, but I'm not confident on Kado
@lenlo: in a sense you have to suffer it all alone. No worries thou as I intend to binge watch it when this season's over
Spike
Kado team crumbled under the pressure. Recap this week.
@SuperMario, im happy I dont have to compete with anyone to cover Berserk :P Got it all to myself to whine about, though its been ever so slowly improving.
Ranka is ranka in any verse.
Bahmut no spoilers. Ranka Lee. She just doesn't get it so everyone dies. As she stands around wondering.
In fact, Okja will play in the Sydney film festival next month, but seeing that it will stream in Netflix at the end of June I think it's best to wait until then
@Kaiser: great, I'm super hyped to watch Okja. Always enjoy Boon's movies. The critic's reviews from Cannes on Okja should come up soon I believe.
@Kaiser: I watched Lain many times over as well but I'm sure that I didn't pick up everything. That show required multiple-viewing anyways.
@Mario: Good news, netflix will stream Okja at the end of this June.
@Mario: Its not often that I rewatch things, but years ago I've seen Lain at least three times, its also one of those few anime series where I felt to look up deeper analysis into it. It had a tremendous atmosphere and was ahead of its time.
@Kaiser: watching Ghost Hound made me want to revisit Serial Experiment Lain and give my episodic thoughts on that. Not gonna happen soon as I have my hand full right now but I swear I'll get to that one day.
@Mario: I actually am planning to rewatch ghost hound soon, so I'll give you my new thoughts on it then.
I always avoided Altair mostly based on it being a shounen action series. Kakeguruis premise involves gambling games, which I don't find interesting.
Kakegurui is on my list. I thought it would be crap (terrible setting etc), but the manga won me over. Princess Principal will be given a chance, so will Shoukouko no Altair.and perhaps Reflection. We shall see. Also Twilight Axis Gundam, as I love the manga team.
@Anon, Recap episodes exist because of production troubles. Sometimes shit happens when you make an anime.
You are being a bit overally argressive but I do agree with the statement that Ntr is pathetic power fantasy. It really is.
Ntr is a pathetic power fantasy for pathetic people
Why the hell do recap episodes exist. Do they think we're that autistic

Tsuki ga Kirei – 07 [Hold Back Nothing When Taking Love]

With this episode Tsuki ga Kirei marches on its impressive run. If there is one thing that I’m still impressed about Tsuki ga Kirei, it’s that despite its slow-pacing, the story never stands still. Each episode is a steady step-forward, clearly mark-out stage from its main couple’s relationship. I wasn’t at all expecting that much […]

Sakura Quest – 08 [The Fairy’s Recipe]

This was a solid episode from Sakura Quest. This week is the first of the two-parter (probably) about the Queen and her team making a special dish for Manoyama town that could attract tourists. Now I see the formula the show’s currently employing: the first three episodes focus on Yoshino and her coming to term with […]

Re:Creators – 07 [Everything I Can Do]

The conclusion to the last week’s fight turns out to only eslcate in size with Yuuya and the giant robot joining the fray before ending off on a rather anticlimactic note. You have Mamaika remaining true to her character and trying to put out fires everywhere while everyone else pairing off in a grudge match. […]

ID-0 – 07 [Overstepping]

This week found the three main characters: Ido, Maya and Alice all got “eaten” by that huge annoying rock. Thankfully, being a rock – they themselves call it a wandering planet, or Rajeev retrieved, it can only swallow them whole – not chew – but it effectively cuts down all the communication and oxygen from […]

Little Witch Academia – 20[Sense and Sensibility]

This episode has really nailed home for me just how defanging Diana has been a bad choice. In the OVA episodes Diana was bratty and stuck up but at least then she had character. In the TV series she’s more or less a mary sue through and through which is sadly a much more boring […]

Shingeki no Kyojin(Attack on Titan) – 33[The Hunters]

One thing that continues to surprise me when covering this series is that after watching a full 25 minute episode of it and sitting down to write, I think about what happened in the episode and find it remarkably little. Truly, what did happen this episode? Well Reiner and Bertholdt ran off with Eren and […]

Uchoten Kazoku 2 – 07 [The Friday Fellows Club, Again]

For a show that has a knack for little moments, this episode is one of the rare times that Eccentric Family goes for big dramatic emotional route, and manages to knock it out of the park. Soun, in the end, serves no more purpose than a pawn in a chess. Wicked all the way, but […]

Sakura Quest – 07 [The Mansion in Purgatory]

This week in Sakura Quest, we have core members lashing out at each other, and some more nice interactions between other members – which in fairness is all I could hope for. You know a cast is well developed when you can pick any two main characters and they still have their unique chemistry together. […]

ID-0 – 06 [The Observer]

With this episode we start to learn more about Ido’s true identity but the reveal feel far-fetched at best. I know he’s supposed to be someone special, but “an enemy of mankind”? Seriously? That trope again? So he was a Titan or some kind of disease that destroy the human kind? Oh since he’s in […]

Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon (Winter 2017) Review – 74/100

Scum’s Wish (Winter 2017) Review – 80/100

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Review – 90/100

When you have watched a large amount of anime you can come to assume that you have learned a lot about Japanese culture. Though I think it’s testament to how limited it is to view Japan through anime when you come to realize that despite watching so much, you have never heard of Rakugo. Rakugo […]

Youjo Senki Saga of Tanya the Evil Review – 80/100

Isekai stories have become somewhat of a tiresome genre as of late. There have been many stories of people being transported/reincarnated into other worlds where they shed their once pitiful exterior and become some legendary figure in another world. In most cases it’s trit, balant childish wish fulfilment and the stories often become tiresome when […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. (Winter 2017) Review – 83/100

Imagine my utmost amazement when a show that I wasn’t that confident on taking in the beginning turned out to be one of the most solid offering this season had to offer. ACCA is the most recent anime adaptation from mangaka Natsume Omo, which despite isn’t a household name, many of her works (6 titles […]

Demi-chan wa Kataritai (Winter 2017) Review – 62/100

Demi-chan is one of the newest addition to the monster girl subgenre, which usually feature a human helpless male lead get stuck in a harem of mythical creatures, in form of oversized boob girls of course (why usually those monsters are in female forms anyways? Aren’t they sexless?). In this case, we have monster girls […]

Seiren (Winter 2017) Review – 51/100

Let me say this out front, Seiren is NOT a good show, it’s a highly uneven one. Throughout its run, I can see some solid moments and fresh ideas that could potentially raise it above the bar, but ultimately, view it as a whole, Seiren is a show that isn’t worth recommending. At first, I’m […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100