Posted by psgels on 7 June 2010 with categories: Senkou no Night Raid

I just realized something… episode seven still hasn’t gotten subbed, has it? Oh, what a terrible place for this series to get stuck: right before the point at which this series actually gets good. I’ve unfortunately seen a lot of negative comments here and there about this series because of it, and I really want to ask people: please, if you’re going to judge this series, wait until episode seven. It’s a huge turning-point. Series like this one should really be able to get more coverage so that they can keep making more of them. People keep saying that we need more mature series, but yeah that doesn’t work when series like this one hardly get any coverage. It’s thankfully not as extreme as with Mouryou no Hako or others, but still.

Of course, this series is also partly to blame. “Senkou no Night Raid”. A flashy night raid… that’s a terrible title to be honest.

In any case, it’s a bit of a shame, but in this episode you could again see that A-1 took a bit too much on its plate for this season. It’s a relative calm before the storm, and so they chose this episode for some budget cuts, which show themselves in a number of annoying off-models. And yet despite that this episode again delivered for me.

When at the beginning of the series, the superpowers were introduced, I wasn’t too big of a fan of it, however they ended up providing quite a bit of an interesting “what if”-scenario: what if a group of people knew about the atomic bombings beforehand? They won’t be just able to travel to America and stop the development, they also won’t get a lot of people to believe them. How far should they have gone, in such a turbulent time but when the war hasn’t even started yet? This episode is all about making these difficult decisions: what’s more important to you, your country or yourself, your position or your loved ones?

Despite the blocky drawings at times, I love how the creators are using their soundtrack here. The animation may have been flawed, but the pacing and direction still were very good. In fact, this series has the interesting pacing of Persona~Trinity Soul without most of the annoying baggage that made it a bit annoying to watch (the way in which it refused to focus on something interesting). Perhaps it has really helped that the series composition behind The Third has been working on this series. Either that, or the creators behind this series hit a major source of inspiration. I try, but I’m still often way wrong about which people or group of people is responsible for making an amazing anime.
Rating: ** (Excellent)

1. Bruce says:

Yes, episode seven still isn’t subbed. At this point subs are FOUR WEEKS BEHIND. My god.

The worst part about it was how every once in a while, there’s a release by a group… and then it’s episode six again.

2. AuroraFlame says:

Still stuck on 6. I have a feeling that when 7 is eventually released, it’s going to be the recap and not the actual episode…. and then they’ll just go on to 8….

3. binay says:

I heard that Phantom Subs has the copy of the streamed version of episode 7. But because all of their translators are busy in RL, it’s really going to take a while. Plus, I noticed a lot of people are dropping this series.

4. chounokoe says:

You really hit one of the major ironic problems. It’s sad how everybody is screaming for more mature shows, but nobody is covering them.

I understand that those episodes are a bit harder to translate, because you actually have to research some words, terms and places to get it if your not really knowledgable of the topic.
    I only did the translation for Mouryou no Hako 13 back then, but I know it’s work…still I’d wish instead of 20 groups all doing the same easy to translate shows, some would at least try to get something in this field done.

And I really love where this series is heading, but I still wonder how far (as in which point in time) they will go.
    So they know that WW2 is about to start and how the idea of a seperation of East and West was ludicrous from the start.
    But will they actually show the events of the war in the final 2 episodes (maybe the beginning in the next), or are they going to go up to the events that actually started it?

5. anon says:

It’s not about the series, it’s about the subject matter.

All you westerners might not know it, but this subject is still a VERY VERY touch subject in the Orients.

This series is already banned in china, and I think korea too. And general japanese population is pretty much ignoring it. Pretty much everyone in all three country can’t wait for this series to end. It’s already straining the relationship way too much in an already very unstable situation. The situation is very very volatile right now.

Frankly, the only people that are watching this are westerners that don’t have a clue about the politics in the Orient right now.

And for goodness sake, it’s not about who’s right or wrong, that’s not it, we orientals just don’t want to talk about it.

It’s like if one day someone made a show denying the holocaust or showing another version of the nazis. You would want it to end as soon as possible, right? Pretty much the same thing.

6. binay says:

@anon: Wait, is there news that this series already banned in China?

7. wandering-dreamer says:

But I was under the impression that it was Western groups that were fansubbing it so, provided they can get the RAWs, the cultural problem wouldn’t cause delays. If it being subbed in the East then, well, I have a hard time imagining groups picking up since everyone guessed it might go this way.

8. Ebod says:

>>binay

LOL, banning anime in China means almost nothing. Death Note’s “banned,” but everyone watches it illegally anyways.

9. anon says:

First of all, the Death Note ban was only that one region in one province in china where kids were being stupid about it.

Second of all, you can’t watch without subs. And no chinese guy will sub this. Understand?

10. binay says:

Idk but some Japanese viewers are not acquainted with history and yet, they are still watching this.

11. Troyen says:

I was guessing that the reason there’s no subbed episode 7 is that the raw quality from the streamed episode wasn’t on par with the other episodes causing some groups to wait until a better source becomes available (DVD?).

12. Bruce says:

I suppose if it’s a political thing then that’s too bad and it’s also a shame as well – there need to be more guts in anime production and more of a willingness to produce works that are unconventional, even if controversial.

13. treble89 says:

Ya,there was no subbed Senkou on chinese website, too bad,I only watched the first episode on youtube.

14. chounokoe says:

@anon: Do films like the Indiana Jones trilogy, Inglorious Basterds or Hellboy ring a bell?
    And Nazis and Nazi Germany have been an existent part of popular culture even before that…

I think to say that the only people interested in this show are those with no actual knowledge of the political situation in East Asia is pretty narrow-minded.

15. c160 says:

To people who think this show is disrespectful,I know they won’t watch it and I can understand why.But saying all those nasty stuff about people who watch it,I can’t agree with.I’m from SE Asia and I’m watching it.And I know about the political situation,and thats exactly why I’m watching,cause I wanna see how the creators handle the situation.So saying only ignorant people watch this show,that’s a bit mean T_T

16. Nonoy says:

Don’t forget Valkyrie (starring Tom Cruise) in which it’s all about a Nazi Officer (in RL) and his men who plot to kill Hitler.

But I just want to say that I’m from one of those Asian countries who are under the Japanese occupation during WWII. And in fact, I don’t like what they did to my country at that time most especially with regards to comfort women. Heck, when former PM Shinzo Abe denied about the issue on comfort women, we are angry at that response.

But still, I’m watching this series because it’s espionage and moe-less even though they did put the superpowers thing which reminded me of Darker than Black.

Anyway, let’s just wait for the series to end since there are only 3 episode left.

17. wandering-dreamer says:

@anon: No need to get snippy, I wasn’t aware that, as it seems you are suggesting, the majority of fansubs were done by Chinese fans. I know it’s common to work off of Chinese RAWS for manga but wasn’t aware it was a similar situation for anime.
    And you know what? Even if there aren’t fansubs I can still read the reviews here and on another site or two, read the real history, and figure out what’s going on. Plus, the fact that anime has you know, moving pictures helps out quite a bit as well.

18. Sacchi says:

I quited this show in episode 5. Are you saying it became an awesome anime? Should I continue watching?

19. Bruce says:

@Sacchi: yes, if you can watch without subs.

20. anon says:

chounokoe, Nonoy, all those shows you mentioned upheld society’s norm and standard. Valkyrie, Inglorious Bastard, shows Nazis as evil beings that should be killed/tortured. Indiana Jones shows natives as savages that are inferior to white men, russians as evil people(those that were made during the Cold War).

I am talking about if someone made a show that went AGAINST what people considers acceptable beliefs. What if someone made a film showing that nazi were actually very nice and that the allies were actually way worse? What if someone made a film saying that the Holocaust never happened? What if someone made a show saying that Ann Frank was killed by the allies and later blamed on the nazies?

Seriously, what we have here is literally a show showing chinese as dumb, inferior creatures that runs around stupid and japanese as smart, cool people that pwns without much effort. How does that make you feel as a chinese person?

21. chounokoe says:

@anon: Where exactly in this show do you see Chinese people – or any nation at all – being depicted as dumb and/or inferior?!

Yes, the crimes commited in the name of the NSDAP and the German Reich were horrible…but your black and white view on such topics is not an ounce better than that of any of the extremist right-wing Japanese’ who you so despise.

What was done by the allied forces, was maybe not worse, but they did some terrible things as well.
    And there are some movies out there which do not only show a propagandistic view on the evil Nazi. I mean…if everyone involved with the Axis powers was pure evil, why wasn’t every German, Italian or other person living under their rule tortured and killed like you want them to be?!

22. AKI says:

Pretty much the same here, I’m from SE Asia myself and I wanted to watch the series for its historic bits and pieces (ironic, since this series has espers all over it). I’m a WWII trivia addict anyway and I’d love to see what will this series portray as a precursor to the war (such a shame that Zipang ended when the arc already arrived in China). Here’s to hoping that the rest of the series will get subbed.

23. Bruce says:

@anon

I suggest you watch Der Untergang (or Downfall, in English). It portrays Hitler as something other than a flaming incarnate of hatred and as a human being. And it was LOVED by film critics everywhere.

Another example would be Grave of the Fireflies. It shows the horrible fire bombings committed by the United States that devastated Japan near the end of the second world war. The US is the primary antagonist here. Grave of the Fireflies was well received as well.

24. Nonoy says:

@anon: I was also wandering if you ever watched Letter from Iwo Jima. That movie appeared on many critics’ top ten lists of the best films of 2006. It is just shows the different sides of the Japanese soldiers in that island who are aware that they are going to die.

And so far, what I’ve seen in this episode, it just shows Isao trying to achieve his Pan-Asianism plan.

25. Machi says:

Just nitpicking on examples given… Inglorious Basterds DID offend people, in fact there were film symposiums on film and history in its depictions and re-imaginations that did bring up Inglorious Basterds and acknowledged that it IS offending. However, they also did note that while it IS offending fact is the director given his oeuvre (body of work) as well as his statements has never been politically mature in the first place so while offense is taken it is softened by the weakness on the field by the director. What is notable about the offense though is NOT the fact that he opted to portray the Germans in such a manner but that his work only exemplified the LACK of understanding or conciliating the events and nature of world war 2. Its not offending per se to depict Germans in another,light even sympathetic, after all we’re all still trying to understand WWII and it would be myopic to only look at one side but if you put out a view that blatantly is ignorant when you have all the material right there, well you get the point as to why Inglorious Basterds IS offending.

In the same way Indiana Jones (the new one) did offend Russians, as it still played on a stereo type from the Cold War. Which unfortunately given prior political events, i.e. Georgia, there was tension in the relations.

26. anon says:

“There have been films about Terrorists, Soviets, Nazis, whatever, that have all been received well in the United States.”

we are talking about Asia here.

“But concerning your comment that Nazis should be depicted as “evil beings that should be killed/tortured”, I am honestly shocked.”

no, read the previous sentence. it is what people expect to be shown.

Seriously, I am using the nazi example to perhaps help you westerner understand maybe a bit of what us orientals are feeling. But it appears to be much to high for your intelligence. Judging by all the responses, especially the nitpickings, it seems that it has all been a waste of time.

Understand the difference! Nazi apologized, they passed laws banning nazi related discussion, objects etc. And they did NOT enact a shrine for the dead nor declare them as heroes or try to justify their actions or the war in general in anyway. Japan has never apologized nor admitted the killings. They have apologized for the comfort woman but NOT the killings. They have allowed to people to openly deny. They have built a shrine, etc, etc.

Thus, there has been much tension between the three nations, which gets blown over whenever shit like this happens, a text book edited, a tv show made, etc. Last time a Japanese embassy was trashed. Everybody is trying to avoid straining the tension and avoiding the issue. Do you understand? There is no tension in europe, but there is in asia.

Try to feel what it is like for each of three nations, and then perhaps you will understand the impact that such shows like this has on an already extremely strained tension.

27. wandering-dreamer says:

Did the actual Nazis, people who were firm believers in Hitler and not people of Germany who were forced to act, actually apologize? I don’t recall that and, even if there are laws limiting neo-Nazis, they are still around and there are still well-known people in the world who deny the Holocaust as well. It feels like you’re trying to go “Oh, we’re TOOOTTAAALLLYYYY different, the rest of you just don’t have anything close enough to fathom our suffering!” And I’ll admit, the Japanese government is making an ass out of itself in all of these related cases and it was a number of horrifying events. We’re not trying to make light of it, but when people keep saying “And we still hate them so we WON’T TALK ABOUT IT” it gets bit hard to sympathize.
    Of course, if we had subs for these episodes we might be able to understand what’s going on better as well….

28. Bruce says:

@anon

Okay, I understand the political climate of the orient. I understand that a work such as this can be pretty controversial. But does that mean that it shouldn’t be made? Absolutely not. I listed all of those possibly controversial works to show that this is definitely not the case. I believe that the only way for actual progress to be made foreign policy wise between Japan and the rest of Asia is for there to be actual confrontations between both groups. And it’s not as if these relationships stem from something that hasn’t been experienced in the west. The United States destroyed many cities through bombing, both conventional and nuclear, in Japan during WWII, and afterwards went in and reconstructed the government with little to no regard for Japanese culture. Yet, today the US enjoys mostly positive foreign policy with Japan.

The only reason why there is still such animosity between Japan, Korea, and China is because everyone is trying their best to ignore that anything happened between 1900-1950 regard Japan’s imperialism. Japan seriously needs to confront and admit what they did during those years, and the only way to do that is through provocation.

29. Ebod says:

>>anon who replied to me

Chinese subs are still being released for this anime, so, uh. Yeah. Yes, it’s ‘banned,’ much like illegally subbed anime is banned in both China and here.

As in it does almost nothing.

30. psgels psgels says:

Anon: you say that this series should never have been made, but as a westerner, I knew hardly anything about the conflict in the east prior to watching this series (our history classes never even mentioned it), and yet right now I know a lot more about what went on during those times. Shouldn’t that be good?

There are of course those horribly nationalistic series as Kishin Taisen Gigantic formula, but I do feel that Night Raid is fundamentally different here. I don’t really see how the chinese here are portrayed as dumb. In fact, the past few episodes have really stressed that the Japanese were very much the bastards here. The only thing is that the lead characters are all Japanese, so that’s why they get more depth than the Chinese. To me, it just seems like a persective choice than trying to portray them as ‘dumb’.

31. FPJ says:

@anon: Honestly, did you even bother to watch the show? So far, there are no Chinese characters who are portrayed as the major antagonists here. Well, of course, there’s a Chinese girl but she only serves as a side character, nothing more.

32. Kane says:

Okie… I’m not going to get into the big political and cultural debate going on, but what I will say is that on myanimelist.net, one of the guys who’s part of a fansub group working on this show says the delay is because episode 7 (the online streamed one, not the recap) has a lot of Japanese military lingo that only one of their translators can make sense out of.

And it just so happens this one guy hasn’t been available lately. So… yeah.

33. chounokoe says:

@anon: I don’t know if your lack of knowledge about the Western situation during and after the World Wars is just due to you being blinded by propaganda yourself…or if you just don’t know anything about it.

Nazis(!) apologized for their actions?! No!
    Right Wing politics is not banned as you describe it, just certain symbols, which just adds a sugar coating to the fact that it cannot be forbidden.
    Germany was almost completely destroyed by the allied forces and the public had to suffer from it. They actually went about so sloppily that most higher personal from the Nazi regime could either commit suicide or go into hiding before they could do much about it.

And please DON’T come up with the Yasukuni argument again.
    The shrine existed prior to WW2 and WW1 and it’s intention is not to worship soldiers as heroes…

And the fact that it’s this easy for a Japanese embassy to ‘get trashed’, only because of a depiction of something in popular culture…it shows as much the flaws of the attacker if not more.
    Or would you also excuse it as right, if a US embassy was ‘trashed’ in the middle east, because female US tourists did not cover their face properly?
    Of course such things are ‘understandable’ on an abstracts scale, but to excuse them is just giving in to human weakness.

Of course somehow we’re forcing Western principles on you here, that problems should be discussed and not ignored until they fade away…but couldn’t it be, that in this case it is something where countries could learn something from another?

34. Frotee says:

As it happens, I actually did know something about the Manchuria conflict before this anime started, but only because we prepared some lessons ourselves in the last year of school. I was quite happy when this show started, as I found the historic content really interesting and was eager to see how the whole affair was to be pictured. As far as episode 6, however, I could not see the Chinese being shown as dumb and inferior and the Japanese as rightful and justified invaders – so where exactly is the problem? Why on earth should controversial historic subjects not be depicted at all? I mean, it’s not like it’s going away just because you don’t talk about it…

On a side note, there are war-memorials for those Germans who fell during WWII – all over Germany, in fact. Just remember – hitler was the head of a dictatorship. People had not much choice but to follow or be executed (if they didn’t go into hiding). Additionally, the young ones were fed the doctrine every day, they had lessons in school about which race was superior and why (Rassenkunde), and were organised in youth camps doing fun and doctrine-following stuff when they weren’t in school.
    I’m not saying you should’nt blame people at all, just that there were reasons why the populace behaved as they did. I do think you can transfer that to the Japanese. If they are not educated in a way that shows them all the sides, how are they to expect something other than what they were taught?

35. ves says:

Woah, I haven’t fully caught up with all the shows I’m watching thanks to RL stuff, but the insane amount of comments for this under-radar show was too abnormal for me not to click.

A quick check with Chinese websites show that there is still at least one group subbing this, and even ep 10 is out. Uh anon, your argument for this doesn’t stand. Neither have I been catching up with anime news, so unless you can provide official links to show that this has been banned in China and Korea, it’s hard to believe.

Before you jump to the conclusions that only idiot westerners who have no link to this history watch this show – I have innocent relatives who were killed by Japanese army, but I’m still watching this show. Likewise, I want the Japanese to realise their war crimes and not gloss over to make it sparklingly rose-tinted. Indeed, this show has not shown much of what the Chinese can do – but it is about Japanese people in Shanghai, working for a Japan-affiliated company (this part, I need to refresh my memory on), so I’ll look over it for now.
    So far it doesn’t seem like they’re going on the “wow Japan is great! They should conquer Asia!” route. If they do go down that route, or justify the war atrocities that the Japanese committed, I would be definitely drop this show.

anon is sure evoking lots of responses.. anyway, I like how that the creators haven’t outright made Japan the good justifiable conqueror for now but explored other options as well.

36. Kalandra says:

Meh, generally there is less interest in such anime anyway, so there is less subbers. To blame that on anti-Japanese sentiment is rather blah.

37. Ncrdrg says:

Personally speaking, I found Episode Seven to be one of the most boring episodes I ever watched in anime.
    Well, thankfully, Episode 10+ seems more interesting.
    But at least, I now understand the sharp divide between your interests and mine : I really loathe when anime is just all talk and no action and no intrigue. As such, I took several naps in episode 7 since it was just blah blah blah and nothing interesting happening.
    But you seem to thrive on that slow-moving stuff when I find it unforgivable to have good material and yet just refuse to mix up some action scenes with it.

So we got to rely on fansubs for it when it's airing.
@Mario, Nope. I think because netflix only puts up full seasons they are only planning to put it up when it's finished airing. Or when it's dubbed.
But how does the Netflix thing work? So of I have a Netflix account I can watch the show weekly?
@Aidan: that's a dumb way to do things really because unless you watch the show weekly, everyone gonna forget that it even exist. Just look at Re-Life last year
thought*. Words are hard.

Eventually found the actual first ep though and enjoyed it.
Was funny. I tried to find the first Ep for Little Witch, found original short made afew years ago, watched it and though "This is very similar to the original... Whats new".
Little witch is one of the best shows this season and yet I can't get subtitles because Netflix doesn't release shows weekly. Motherf*cker.
Ore Monogatari I enjoyed. It was a nice romance that actually explored what happens after the confession. Also the 2 leads are just precious.
Alright but unmemorable seems like a good summation.
@Lenlo: one good thing about Seiren is if you don't like this romance, the whole thing gonna reset after episode 4 so there's a chance that you might end up like it. Agreed that the comedy wasn't very good. Alright but unmemorable
@Topgavin: I watched like first 3 episodes and stopped because I didn't have much time there, but I enjoyed what I saw. A well-written and endearing show in my book
Has anyone here watched Ore Monogatari before? Because in the 4 years I've watched anime, I've never heard of it (I guess it did come out 2 years ago) and yet it's turning out to be one of my favorite shows. Always great going into a show expecting nothing and getting pleasantly surprised.
Only one more impression to go. Should have it up tomorrow.
Im really not feeling Seiren. Its "comedy" isnt for me and I just dont find it very enjoyable to watch so far. Im curious if it gets any better but 2 episodes in it just isnt that good.
HelghastKillzone
That ending scene is an entire side-story compressed into that. Don't expect anymore of it from here on out as the it sticks to ruthless military/fantasy pretty well.
LookingForKeys
@Topgavin I think it was good, making it the second episode. That way the first set up the world the story will be in, and showed how much of a monster the "little girl" really is right at the end, and then made ep.2 the explanation. Nothing against Tanya trying to rip "God" a new one.
That after-credits scene, though...
Hmm, as much as I like Seiren's omnibus format, it doesn't turn out really hot this second episode. Demi-chan, on the other hand, still maintains its endearing tone. Might blogging Demi-chan instead
Yeah, that second episode was much better than the first. Dunno why they didn't start with that to be honest, waste of an opportunity for a good hook episode. The voice for the main girl still sounds weird to me though; I get it's supposed to sound weird because it symbolizes 'her' being out of place and her personality and body being a mismatch, but it'll certainly take some getting used to.
Youjo Senki, now we are talking. Like Helghast said, Did the god scene way better than the LN and manga. Made it less comedic and more intimidating.
Oh man that Rakugo intro. Not sure what to think, but first time seeing it I liked it
I sort of like good will hunting because I kind of saw a bit of myself in Damon's character when I watched it ages ago.
@Mario: Remaking psycho and ruining the shower scene, for shame van sant, for shame.
Its easy to ripoff some obscure thing though and get away with it. The dogtooth director essentially stole an old Mexican film to make that.
@Kaiser: yeah, that following some guys from behind like they were on a RPG games, which I think actually fit with the tones of Elephant. I have such mixed feeling with Gus van Sant too. Don't really think he's a great director.
@Mario: Although Istvan Szabo is probably a little more well known for that Mephisto film that updates the Faust story. Zoltan Fabri's the fifth seal is a very thought provoking war movie.
@Mario: I remember seeing a film documentary that featured Gus van sant in one section, they showed clips of tarrs films, Sant ripped of the cinematography and stole the style from some British short film to make Elephant.
@Kaiser: agree on the other Hungarian filmmakers, I don't know much about them either.
@Mario: Scorsese's Silence was a big comeback. I really really emotionally connect with spiritual crisis stories.
@kaiser: yep, definitely check wreckmeister down. Althought I admit that watching his 2-hour plus films will feel like 5-hour anyways
@Mario: I'm more tolerant of darker teenage/coming of age films/stories. Les Demons was a big surprise.
@Mario: Though its kind of frustrating, I do think Tarr probably takes attention away from other hungarian filmakers because no-body knows who the hell the others are.
@Mario: Man, wreckmeister was so visually arresting I started getting dreams from it.
@Mario: I would consider Tarr to be kind of a poor mans Janco, Angelopolus and Tarkvosky rolled into one. I don't entirely "get" wreckmeister and man from London but they are great atmospheric mood piece experiences.
@Kaiser: I had been wanting to watch Belar Tarr's Turin Horse and Werckmeister Harmonies for so long now. Well, Fat Girl is shocking haha, but I'm normally drawn into those kind of films anyway.
@Kaiser: Margaret took like 5,6 years to release because he couldn't cut it down in the way he wanted. The final cut if I remembered correctly was edited by Martin Scorsese
@Mario: Only a HDcam for moonlight now.
I looks like my lineup is witch academia, rakugo and youjo senki, well the most latter one until I get bored.
@Mario: I sense a directors cut for manchester, it feels like it need another 30 minutes.
@Kaiser: right up my valley. Watch Kenneth Lonergan's previous works Magaret and You Can Count on Me. Magaret is very messy but have a raw dialogue and interactions as well
Now the first episodes are over, I will keep on covering 3-gatsu, as for the other twos atm I have 3 options: 1) full romance/anti-romance high school Seiren/Scum's Wish. 2) slice-of-life moe monster girls Demi-chan/Maid Dragon and 3) Mature,dark Onihen/Acca (which although I like them I don't have much to talk about).If you guys have any preference on which shows you like covered then let me know
@Helghast: At this point I'm watching youjo senki as an entertaining guilty pleasure.
@Mario: Too many reboots upcoming, will wait for the dvds instead. I want to explore more of manchester by the sea's director's work. I also want to finally get more into Bela Tarr's stuff.
@Mario: I was rather shocked by A Ma souer/fat girls final act. Scenes with the Italian in the bedroom were initially creepy.
@Kaiser: it's a nice review Kaiser, a bit jealous with you that you've seen those 3 films which are touted as the best films of 2016. Also Fat Girl, haha, I love that movie.
Poor yotaro =< you have so much stuff going down on you =<
HelghastKillzone
Youjo Senki episode was so good today. That revamped scene with God just fitted so right.
A official release of that game in the west is apparently coming but it's been a few years and not much news about it.
@Aidan: Ah yes that was the one.
@Kaiser, Had to think for a moment on that one but I think I was talking about this. https://vndb.org/v3144
Now I'd hardly consider myself a studio trigger fan, but I watched the first witch academia episode there, it was actually kind of fun, got the same reaction from me as flipflappers did, that magical, special feeling.
@Mario: I also, of interest reviewed Kenneth Lonegrans new film: http://letterboxd.com/shao_liu_ringon/film/manchester-by-the-sea/
@Mario: Moonlight got some feels out of me though it could of been more, it ends abruptly and with 20 extra minutes they could have spent a bit more time on each section of his life.
@Mario: I checked out lala land, ending was very well executed, one of three scenes in the film that were impressive visually. The whole thing looked pretty and Gosling and Stone had some decent chemistry. Although it didn't resonate emotionally as strongly as the musicals of Jacques Demi did.
MOM I want aiyoku no eustia and I want it now.
I've never heard of himawari or tokyo babel. The hellsing comparison at least interests me in dies irae. What was the name of that visual novel again that was coming out soon, Aidan you described it as "And Kaiser would love it because its supposed to be really fucked up".
I vaguely remember the anime for 11 eyes, it was very forgettable, even the voice acting was poor, hated the childhood friends and the pacing was poor, those black knight things were kind of interesting though.
@Aidan: You'll have to add me onto the list of those unsatisfied with the ever 17 writer, I read one of those games and felt it was a bunch of interesting bait that never paid off.
Anyway I plan on doing a review of 11eyes here when I finish it.
Can't say I was a fan of Ever17. That was a really good twist but when it came to explaining it their was a lot of contrived development. Generally not a fan of the writer. Looseboy, Ryukishi, Gen and Nasu are more my kinda thing
@Anon, it is nice that so many VNs are on steam but I wish they wouldn't be stupid with the whole no adult content thing. Not so much for myself but to prevent idiots from writing negitives reviews because the game doesn't have sex. VNs can grip you in a way anime simply can't and while they require pathence and time those can be some pretty powerful stories.
@Aidan, I am so happy steam's so VN-friendly now. I think it's a very good type of media. Like anime, it has nice visuals, music and some movement but also the inner monologue and text amount of books. It's the perfect combination. Plus, the routes, which are often puzzle pieces and PoVs you have to go through to understand the whole story. True routes like the one of Ever17 blew my mind.
Hopefully the two VNs I bought of steam turn out better. Tokyo Babel is supposed to be alright and I heard really good things about Himawari.
I am about a third of the way through the game and really not much of worth has happened. The concept is interesting but the execution is sorely lacking.
I went in expecting it to be a mixed bag and it's pretty below my expectations. It's just not really well written and the protagonist is a moron. THere isn't really routes and instead you are pretty much stuck with his childhood friend as the main love interest. Problem with that is her character begins and ends with loving the main.
@Aidan, damn. 11Eyes is on my reading list as well. Although I almost expected it to not be as good as I thought it'd be (back then). Guess I would have enjoyed it if I was able to read it while the (shitty) adaption aired, maybe I have seen/read too many series by now. Guess I'll still give it a try some day though.
@Anon, I haven't heard the OST or watched the intro video. I only know it be reputation and have decided to walk into it as blind as I can. Still slightly worried as I was somewhat looking forward to reading 11Eyes for a couple of years and now that I am reading it it's well...not good.
@Aidan, same here. I was waiting years for this, since I saw the intro video for the first time. Also, that OST!
HelghastKillzone
Youjo Senki is already leagues better than Izetta. It's going to be top anime of forever and ever. (maybe not)
And finally Dies Irae is funded. May actually be able to play and finish the game before the anime airs. If the hype is real behind this baby it could be a new personal favorite Visual Novel of mine. Already looking promising with it being like a cross between Hellsing and Fate/Stay Night. Two things I most certainly like.
@Masky, in regards to style over substance thats where im at with Gurrne Lagann.
Yeah, I'll probably watch the next episode to see whether it can redeem itself. Hopefully it can but considering 1st episodes usually get a lot of budget, there's some severe doubt in there.
I actually argee with character designs and voices are bad in regards to female characters. Still the next episode might change your mind if we get more into the main characters head.
It's boring
Also, it seems I disagree with a lot of people in thinking Youjo Senki will be a massive trainwreck. The character designs are awful, the voice acting is mismatched but most of all the premise just seems so very dumb. If I wanted to watch a badass kill people I'd go watch Hellsing or Drifters, because at least those don't have some op, disproportionate loli as the mc.
Gets even more complicated when you account for Satire and Parody. You could equally argue all examples listed as being as such.
Little Witch Academia is a decontruction of Harry Potter....I don't believe that but honestly if I tried I could put some reasoning behind that statement.
In the end, it always comes down to opinion (as with every discussion about anime, for some reason). You could spin any and every series as a "deconstruction", which is why people shy away from using the word. You could argue NGE, Madoka and Re:Zero are all deconstructions yet also argue Gundam, Precure and SAO are depending on what points you weigh more importantly.
Like, if deconstruction is supposed to be just "break the elements and then play story how it would realistically go down" well I haven't watched NGE, but as far as I know it does have stuff that isn't typical to mecha genre besides the "It would fuck up kids" thing plus "realistically how it would play out" is pretty subjective thing. I mean, its mainly about how cynical bastard the writer is :P
Like I said, I don't fully agree with it because I find video's speaker's attitude annoying, but I found it semi convincing. Main thing I don't find convincing about it is that I don't think its hard to turn video's own arguments agaisnt it and say that by its own logic NGE isn't deconstruction either, like Aidan just said earlier
And I don't really have energy for checking out the "correct" one. If there even is one. Anyway, the hipster video I was talking about was titled "What Actually Is A Deconstruction?" if you want to check it out.
Hmm, well, it does depend on definition you use. Like if you use "realistic" thing, well, Magical Girl shows don't usually have "You turn into monsters" thing going on and reason why NGE's pilots go crazy is from dangerous situations rather than evas making them do so. But honestly, I don't really have strong opinion on matter since word seems to be one of those with several different meaning
for me Madoka IS a deconstruction of Magical girl, and yeah like what Aidan said
I think part of Utena is a deconstruction of "prince riding horse and save the girl" because that notion is just a foundation for Utena to become a prince herself and save other girl. That's breaking it apart and resemble it again in its own way. Don't have to be dark/ don't have to be real either
@Masky, That's just debating semantics. Besides that difinition would pretty much mean that Neon Genesis Evangelion isn't a decontruction either. Madoka isn't a decontruction because it's dark. It's more in its aspects of criticising why a girl should throw her ordinary life away for something as dangerous as being a magical girl. It does take plenty of the typical tropes and turn them on its head
@Masky: Genre deconstruction is such a tricky word that I normally try to avoid using because there's really no set characteristic about the term and different people have different opinions about what constitute "deconstruction". For me, I disagree that deconstruction have to be dark and real, hmm can't say it well but I will give you an example:
But yeah, I guess I could try to find the video if you guys are interested, though like I said, I got hipsterish feel from the video and felt rather annoyed through it even though I did get what the point was and found it sort of convincing besides my annoyance
(not that liking NGE is hipsterish, its just that I find NGE to be more style than substance sort of series <_< Anyway, guy didn't dislike madoka or anything, he just seemed to dislike people using word deconstruction wrong in his opinion)
(especially with how much they seemed to praise Neon Genesis Evangelion)
I mean, I think the guy was being somewhat hipsterish, but its true the being darker take on genre isn't same as deconstructing the genre
@AidanAK47: Some other guy on youtube did video that had actually pretty good point about how Madoka isn't really deconstruction, if you go by definition of "Break it down to parts and then play them straight to show how horrifying it would be in real life"
Gente - Ristorante no Hitobito
If anything its the hate I have for certain characters that makes it more effective.
The obsessional level of attachment is just uncomfortable to me, I don't want to get THAT attached to a non-real character.
Its literally just a case of "Okay lets look at this picture of this character, she looks interesting, no feelings or expression from me, apply this fetish, fap, get release, go home. "
Or drooling/dribbling/heavy breathing/grinning over the characters. I abhor alot of the anime girls I find attractive or am indifferent, even when looking at ecchi/hentai drawings I'm straight and clinical with it.
I mean to each their own. But I really hate the level of emotion/devotion to moe/finding the characters attractive. Such as celebrating their birthdays, going on about how cute/hot they are, how important it is that they're virgins. Or not being being self-aware of how irritating the characters are.
Anime hipster is pretty accurate. His general treatment of the current state of anime is annoying, as is his obsession with moe. Maybe its cause I cant stand moe most of the time, but it bugs me.
@Lenlo: Essentially my brothers view on digibro.
@Aidan: I don't usually feel the need to correct errors in your reviews as the errors are generally un-important, but I think you meant to say apprentices rather than appearences in the Rakugo review, just bringing that up as it felt like kind of a throw off.
Which is kinda like saying Madoka wasn't a magical girl deconstruction because Sailor Moon and Nanoha had dark elements too.
Went and read the reddit comments on it and seems I was right on the money.
@Lenlo, He's basically a anime hipster. For example, I saw a thumbnail of his which had Saitama on it and below it "Is There Meaning In "Subverting" Shounen Tropes?" and I thought "Okay, he's going to go on about how OPM isn't subversive and then list a bunch of arbitrary examples in an attempt to redefine what is actually subversive"
I have lots of issues with Digibro. Dude has some good points, but other very horrible ones. Some issues he feels strongly about and gets kinda biased on imo.
acca looks visually interesting, and I personally really dig this kind of show, but it seems that it's definitely not for everyone
Time to live up to my word. Four posts incoming.
Man, Little witch Academia was so good. I disagree with the whole Digibro thing about being able to recognise a great show in it's first episode but watching this makes me think that this really is going to be something special.
Alright, gonna put in effort today and have 3 or 4 first impressions posts done. That should knock out near half the season.
Had a flip through handshakers. Garish is the word I'd use to describe it visually, it takes you out of the show.
ASuperMario From the first minute I can already tell it's by the same people that made K. Those colour filters and the extremely jarring/obvious city CGI is unmistakable.
Hand Shakers, literally makes my hands shaking. It's an abosolute mess. Highly recommended to check it out because it's so terrible it's great to watch
Vonter212
Yeah, and it's also a literal woman in refrigerator plot device, since that the thing that pushes the story forward.
I'd say that having to hide your sister's body in fridge would count as daaaaaaark and edgy, but when the body is wearing only underwear, and for some reason main character put metal things in fridge to keep body standing(I guess to not knock fridge open from inside?) I think it goes to "exploitation" you are talking about
Vonter212
@Masky - Did someone said doing dark things for drama? That's the bread and butter to get despair. Unless it's for the sake of perversion. Then it's just exploitation.
@Masky: His other works dead tube and scumbag go further in the unhinged regard.
*relies on easy "let's do [x dark thing] for drama!" thing
Geez, Mayonaka no X Giten is fricking disturbing/disgusting ._. I'm pretty sure that writing relies on e, but I can't help but think mangaka is trying to make corpses sexy.
I found Onihei to be quite good, actually one of the most solid new episode I watched this new season. Guys, check them out
I just hope it doesn't fall into the same misstep Kabaneri or Inuyasha or Bleach fall by making a villain so over the top that it crossed the line of not having a satisfying downfall.
@Vonter I think they just moved on. I lost interest rather quickly and I guess even the fans did that at some point, like with some other long-running series. There is much more new and more direct "fujo" stuff out there, many of them probably switched. Don't know what happens in the manga but maybe the story got worse or contained things some people didn't like.
January will be loli dictator month (for me) :p. World Conquest Zvezda Plot, Youjo Senki: Saga of Tanya the Evil (new), Seraph of the End. For some reason I stumble into three curious series with little power hungry girls. If I can ask, why did Owari Seraph's hype died, I remember back it was mentioned more often. It still has the fujoshi fanart but still, I don't see people bringing it up.
@CATski: well, if you didn't like its first 3 episodes I dont think the rest gonna change your mind. Have you finished Erased then? How did you like it?
But I understand it's difficult to speak in front of camera, get some time to get used to it
@kaiser: I won't commend on poem as I'm terrible at it myself but younneed to work more on presentation Kaiser. Small little things like looking directly at the camera or say "thanks for listening" in the end can connect you to the audience better
Ok. I'll give the thing another chance. *clicks torrent* XD. CATski.
@Topgavin: You might like centaur no nanami if you like demi-chan.
Damn...repeated myself =<
There are these things called slam sessions done in bars where people get up and read out stuff in front of a crowd and read stuff out. Actually watching rakugo made me think about practicing for that kind of thing.
@Mario: the video I did was of me reading out a short piece of writing I did, a poem. lol I uploaded it to the wrong youtube account too I just realized =P
[link src="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypBZ2hBDBYs&t=11s
I"] was recording this from my mothers laptops inbuilt cam while reading off my desktop.
@Kaiser: I think it's a good idea for you to try out reviewing movies/stuffs in youtube channel. I'll be very interesting to listen to them
@Topgavin: Agree. Demi-chan was so charming. Definately one of my favorite so far this new season
Demi-chan's first episode was good. Like, really really good. That blonde-haired girl was hilarious, the teacher-student relationship between the MC and the girls is really interesting and the social/practical problems the demi's face make it look like my favorite show so far.
CATski
Ah... ok. Is it really that good or it's just one of those "artsy" animes that tend to get overrated by their ardent fans? I didnt find the rakugo bit interesting.... probably the weakest aspect of the show for me.
@Aidan: Why did I read that chapter. Why did I do that to myself.
Admittedly yes the premise is not for everyone, but if you stick with it, the flashback arc had some good character work in there.
CATski
Rakugo has a season 2? I watched ep 1 - 3 of season 1 then promptly deleted it. The loud "yankee" dude was annoying. And the anime was boring.
Oh man, I've been thinking lately of trying to start some kind of youtube channel. I did a few trial run videos. Its much much harder than it looks, didn't realize how nervy being in front of a video camera was.
*a declining art and rakygo halls are closing down
As the show continues to mention how "its declining art", that got me thinking of the modern day, how while things like tv and cinemas probably hurt attendances for rakugo performances, the internet has replaced theaters .
Ah, now I've watched it. It'll be interesting to see Yotaro's relation to sukeroku's daughter develop. By all intents he should be an irritating character and not as interesting a yakumo based on his personality, but I can't help but like him, example of a goofball character done right.
ElDlive is looking good
I haven't gotten around to rakugo's second seasons first episode yet =<
Just looking at masamunes female protaganist I want to punch her.
Vapid would be how I'd describe it, I didn't care about Masamune no revenge but at least there was some life to it.
Ah, suzuka I remember a friend telling me when I got halfway through the anime to literally run from it and not continue. I flicked through fuukas first two episodes and played count the cliches.
While I definitely got something out of Yojo senki's manga, I found the first episode easier to get through than the manga, in terms of pace and exposition.
@Masky, Fuuka chapter 135. Read and be amazed.
Ah sorry ._.; And wait, there is another twist later on? What
@Masky, Even if it's a crap show don't go posting spoilers on the chatbox.
Oh and that's just the begining, a really dumbass twist happened recently in the manga.
@Aidan: I'm away a whole day again so I'll be a bit late on my impressions.

Some Quick First Impressions: Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2, Chaos;Child, Marginal#4 KISS Kara Tsukuru Big Bang and Scums Wish

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2 Short Synopsis: Kazama stands trial after accidentally blowing up a lord’s manor while saving the town. This show certainly hasn’t lost it’s charm. I had the biggest smile on my face while watching and it even managed to get me laughing out loud at points. I will admit […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Onihei, Gabriel DropOut and ACCA – 13-ku Kansatsu-ka

Onihei Short Synopsis: A captured thief joins the police to hunt down his old leader. For a studio’s first work this is quite a solid offering. The beginning reminded me of samurai champloo though this seems more a traditional samurai story. Animation isn’t anything too impressive but it does the job and there is some […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Hand Shakers, Kemono Friends and Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon

Hand Shakers Short Synopsis: A boy holds the hand of a girl he finds in a hospital room and ends up in a supernatural battle to the death. GoHands, you know what would be great? If you know, instead of slapping on lens flares and colour filters all over the place, you just don’t do […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Little Witch Academia, Idol Jihen and elDLIVE

Little Witch Academia Short Synopsis: A normal girl goes to attend a academy for witches You know if the remaining 24 episodes are as great as this one this anime may end up on of my all time favorites list. Animation is great and full of personality, story is simple but fun and I had […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Spiritpact, Demi-chan wa Kataritai and Chain Chronicle – Haecceitas no Hikari

Spiritpact Short Synopsis: A boy is killed by a truck and finds himself teamed up with an exorcist as a ghost. Sorry China, by all means keep trying but this isn’t going to top Japanese animation any time soon. So what’s wrong? Well the animation is fairly basic, the characters are annoying and the comedy […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu S2, Seiren and Urara Meirochou

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu S2 Short Synopsis: A former ex-con hopes to keep the profession of Rakugo alive. It’s good to see this show hasn’t lost it’s touch in between the seasons and having Yotaro do a recap of the first season through Rakugo was a particularly great touch. The drama is still excellent and […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Youjo Senki, Schoolgirl Strikers and Minami Kamakura Koukou Joshi Jitensha-bu

Youjo Senki   Short Synopsis: A little girl named Tanya Degurechaff fights for the German Empire in World War One as the most dangerous sorcerer of the imperial army. However, she is actually one of Japan’s most elite salarymen, who prioritizes efficiency and her own career over anything else, that was reborn as a little […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 12 [What Lies on the Opposite Shore – Black River (part 1)]

3-gatsu no Lion is back again in the new year with another stellar episode. Structure-wise, I think this is one of the most confident episode 3-gatsu no Lion has delivered for a while, as the show handled multiple tones and aspects in Rei’s current life in one neat package. This episode begins with a deep […]

Some Quick First Impressions: AKIBA’ S TRIP: THE ANIMATION, Fuuka and Masamune-kun no Revenge

AKIBA’ S TRIP: THE ANIMATION Short Synopsis: A boy and girl fight off possessed humans by stripping them of their clothes. Honestly I expected this to be a lot worse but it could turn out decently watchable if the rest of the episodes match this then this could turn out to be a good series. […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100