Posted by psgels on 13 June 2010 with categories: Full Metal Alchemist - Brotherhood

It’s just as I hoped: the finale of Full Metal Alchemist managed to surpass itself. I really consider this and the previous episode to belong to the true highlights of this series. This is really what I’ve been hoping, the way in which the creators managed to use all of the build-up of the entire series and just deliver an incredibly action-packed finale.

It’s also great to see that the animation is back to its old quality again. The action-scenes looked incredibly diverse and gorgeous, and it really showed that Bones was saving up its budget for those final few episodes during the past season. I especially loved the scene in which Father blasts his first energy beam to Hohenheim.

My biggest fear of this episode was of course the following: with how powerful Father has become, how the heck did the creators plan to bump him from his throne? It would be pretty lame to just have a bunch of kids ruin a plan that involves hundreds of years of preparing. I wasn’t disappointed here, though: it was Hohenheim who turned out to have the final trick up his sleeve, as he too spent centuries, attempting to do something against Father’s plans, and therefore formed an excellent core to foil his plans. Add that to Scar’s brother, who turned out to be surprisingly close to the truth here with his research, and I’m more than satisfied.

This episode was over the top in its action, but that’s especially what I’ve been expecting of it from the start. It was all about having formerly invincible characters getting defeated, but it’s all done in style: Wrath’s ending was epic. He went down against a worthy opponent, and even then he was only at a fraction of his strength because of a mistake he made a few episodes back, causing him to get wounded. Pride in the meantime went down like Envy: it’s because he’s flawed by design in the way that he just allowed himself to be completely destroyed, just for the sake of Father’s Pride.

And at the same time this episode also had those small details in between the action. I loved the scene in which Izumi saw her husband again, or when Roy Mustang saw Hawkeye again. They were short but powerful, and exactly what’s necessary to prevent this show from just going way too much over the top. This episode really had an excellent balance between that exposition and those action-scenes.

The final episodes also now look a lot more interesting, because Father now is no longer a god-moded threat that can’t be defeated. The problem with all-powerful characters is that they can also be made too powerful. When that happens, creators need to pull really weird deus ex machinas or plot-devices in order to keep these guys from just blowing everyone away. Here however, it was handled very well.
Rating: **** (Fantastic)

1. Ian says:

PRIDE IS NOT DEAD.

ED SPARED HIM.

ED IS THE KIND OF PERSON WHO SPARES HIS ENEMIES WHENEVER POSSIBLE.

THIS IS NOT A SPOILER.

IT WAS EXPLICITLY STATED WITHIN THE EPISODE THAT ED HAD NO INTENTION OF DEFEATING PRIDE BY KILLING HIM.

THIS DISCREPANCY CANNOT GO UNPUNISHED.

I WILL NOW SPOIL SOMETHING FOR YOU:

SHIT.

WILL.

GO.

DOWN.

2. Ian says:

THAT ADORABLE THING ED WAS HOLDING IN HIS HAND AFTER OBLITERATING PRIDE’S BODY WAS HIS TRUE FORM.

AND HE WAS UTTERING “MAMA” BECAUSE ED INTENDS TO BRING HIM TO HIS ADOPTIVE MOTHER AFTER THE FINAL BATTLE ENDS, SHOULD THEY ALL SURVIVE.

THIS WAS STATED AT THE VERY END.

AND NO, THE ALL-CAPS TYPING IS NOT TO BE CONSIDERED SHOUTING.

DON’T TAKE IT PERSONALLY.

I JUST CAN’T STAND OVERSIGHTS TO DETAILS THAT END UP BEING MISTAKEN FOR SOMETHING ELSE.

3. Cornwiggle says:

It makes me wonder how he could think Pride WAS dead. Doesn’t Ed even say “You’re going to apologize to Mrs. Bradley after this is over”?

How could you miss that part?

4. blakraven66 says:

“it was Hohenheim who turned out to have the final trick up his sleeve, as he too spent centuries, attempting to do something against Father’s plans”

While I haven’t seen the ep yet, I remember it was the scene in the beginning of ep 36 was when he found out about Father’s plan which he found out accidentally (like how Ed, Al and Olivier did) while researching a way to make himself mortal to live with Trish and the kids. So it couldn’t have been centuries, more like 15 years maybe?

5. psgels psgels says:

Wow… FMA is serious business…

If you want to know how I could have missed that… it was a typo. Sorry about that.

6. Denizen says:

Pride did effectively “die”, you nitpickers.

You know the human boy that could wield deadly shadows? It no longer exists, instead just a foetal core called Selim. “Pride” is dead.

Christ, you people.

7. pgal says:

Lol, yes FMA fans take it very seriously ;)

@blakraven66: Agreed, it seems he learnt of Father’s exact plan while he was with Trisha, but he mostly probably spend centuries trying to figure out what Father was up to.

8. egress63 says:

Good grief, the amount of rage in the first three posts in unbelievable!

9. Hana says:

Well since everyone else wants to complain :D

Gah, it annoys me you say “creators” since ONE person thought up this whole story and the BONES team is just following it, having nothing to do with the actual plot. >.> ONE genius cow. Not “creators”

Okays, I’m done.

10. Azule says:

I got the impression Ed killed Pride and spared Selim…

but anyway. Agreeing that this episode put all my doubts aside and agreeing its epic

11. clinton says:

nice to see Kimblee come back thanks to him him Ed beat Pride

12. Cornwiggle says:

These posts about “Ed sparing Selim” make no sense.

Selim is not a real person, it was Pride acting like a little boy. A persona, an act.

Pride still exists, read Grumman’s line in the final chapter; he’s still a Homunculus too. I think that now it’s a fresh start, without Father’s influence, so he won’t be evil, but he’s not a not a normal human.

13. Ian says:

FURTHERMORE, NO, ED DID NOT SAY HE WOULD MAKE PRIDE APOLOGIZE TO HER. ED WAS GOING TO APOLOGIZE HIMSELF.

14. Ian says:

And Pride IS Selim.

15. Kane says:

Ohhhhh man!!!!!

That’s what it means to be A SMOOTH CRIMINAL!!!

16. Cornwiggle says:

Dude, why would Ed apologize to her? He didn’t do anything to her.

The people who post on this blog are seriously missing half their brains.

“LoOKa IM screamiNG IN CapS beCusE eVerYtHIgn IS sAY IS tHAt~!1 ImPorTaNNNNNATTT!1!”

17. psgels psgels says:

Cornwiggle: just because one guy abuses capslock doesn’t mean that everyone is. The vast majority of commenters here are normal, sensible people. ;)

18. Kim says:

Psgels just to let you know there is now an extra episode of Brotherhood. It is going to be 64 episodes instead of 63. Which is a good thing because the last chapter was over 100 pages (and without giving anything away it was wonderful). :)

19. Kane says:

If I were to use psgels’s rating system on this episode:

The first half was “merely” **(Excellent).
    Then, the Scar vs. Wrath finale bumped it up to ***(Awesome).
    THEN, when Kimblee showed up, it became ****(Fantastic).

20. Jeff says:

Found it fairly funny when you say Mustang “saw” Hawkeye

21. Kamibito says:

I have to say the beginning of this episode was kinda anti-climactic. I was looking forward to see what a person who “swallowed” God can do. But the next battle alone was more than enough to make up for it.
    Though I still kinda feel Scar’s left arm is Deus Ex Machina-ish.

22. Liebs says:

To me, the best thing about this episode was how well Bones adapted the fight with Wrath from the manga to anime. They did something the manga didn’t do as well, and that is convey Wrath’s emotions of, well, wrath.

23. Zaric says:

I am SO glad they didn’t mess up the Kimblee scene, he got his proper exit from the series just like in the manga.

24. Bobby says:

man oh man did wrath go down in style!!! Bones really made a point of making him virtually invincible in attack mode, and it’s fitting that the only two times he gets hurt occur when his supposedly infallible eye is unexpectedly blinded, foreshadowed by ling in ep 21 when he tells bradley that he relies on his eyes too much.

like psgels said it looks like Bones saved its money for the last few eps, from the release of souls to wrath’s all-out final attack to the counterattack vs father, i literally caught my mouth open a few times in this ep. epic end to an epic series

25. Placinta says:

“…Roy Mustang saw Hawkeye again…”
    Technically, he can’t see. =]

26. Cornwiggle says:

Scar’s left arm was the first thing shown in his flashback, and Scar’s brother’s notes are a key element of this story.

Also take into account how much Scar has changed over this series; his arm is not deus ex machina at all.

27. Kane says:

I love all these Roy-bashing jokes you guys make. Freaking hilarious, especially since I don’t even like him :-p

28. shirofox says:

@ cornwiggle
    I believe when Ed said that he was going to apologize to Mrs. Bradley, it was because he had effectively destroyed her son.

29. Ian says:

For the last time, Pride was NOT killed or “effectively destroyed”. His mind was merely shattered like his unstable physical form and reverted back to a simple life form as a fail-safe of sorts to prevent him from being killed or “effectively destroyed”.

But yes, that is the basic gist of why Ed is going to apologize to Mrs. Bradley.

30. Cornwiggle says:

I could have sworn in the manga chapter I read it had “You’re going to apologize”

So that’s probably why I’m mistaking what he said. Selim would have a pretty hard apologizing and I guess destroying him (more or less) is something to apologize for while presenting what’s left.

31. helen says:

“They were short but powerful”

yes, we need more of these scenes – subtlety and realism is key

32. Topspin says:

All I know is that I haven’t been as engrossed by a childish shounen since Gurren Lagann. But geez, people.. over-analyzing it seems like an exercise in futility. You’ll only diminish it’s impact and greatness. Let your inner child enjoy the rollercoaster ride, and don’t ruin it with pointlessly excessive analysis.

33. Cornwiggle says:

Gurren Lagann fucking fails.

34. Hana says:

Topspin, this show/manga (more so the manga) deserves some over analyzing. Hell is deserves a lot. Arakawa put a lot of research/thought and work into this series and if you give one ounce of a damn you could realize there’s a lot to be discovered in this series especially everything involving The Gate and Truth, Father, the homunculi, and Alchemy itself.

Ever heard of Kabbalah? Go nuts Topspin. You have a lot of analyzing to do.

35. Topspin says:

See, Hana, you aren’t talking about the type of analysis I’m seeing above. You are referring to analyzing a great piece of entertainment in terms of it’s influences. That’s how you know it’s great – it actually inspires you to seriously consider figuring out where it drew it’s own inspiration.

But arguing overmuch about the show itself is ridiculous and missing the point. Who cares if Pride died symbolically or physically? Or if someone missed a detail or maybe found a plothole? Sure, it wins you geek cred on a certain level, but it’s not the same thing as reading up on Merkavah mysticism, Neoplatonism, and all the other inspirations the show draws from.

36. Reltair says:

I liked how “Father” made himself look younger after he merged. Can’t he change his appearance to whatever he wants anyways?

37. Hunter-Wolf says:

@everyone

How come no one commented on the best moment ever in the Episode .. actually in that moment the anime does surpass the manga medium .. at first i noticed the lack of an OP to fit with the grim mood (almost everyone died) .. then at the exact moment the souls return to their hosts and with the first cry of the baby the OP starts playing .. heck .. that was one of the most impactful moments in the series for me (after the first Winry/Ed/Scar scene where Winry cries).. they really played it right .. made great use of the OP song/music and timed it perfectly to create and switch the mood around .. BRAVO Bones.

38. PicoPallino says:

@Hunter_Wolf: That scene you found so incredible for me it was pretty cheesy. Especially the long wait until the baby finally cried. I KNEW it would cry any second as a sign of hope, everyone is alive whatever. It had no impact on me because it was just too obvious Bones was trying hard to make a nice scene. The best scene of the whole anime for me was the one when Ed saw his brother on the gate. How they played the music, the emotions, that was really great. Impressive.

39. Bobby says:

@PicoPallino

I. TOTALLY. AGREE.

i thought the OP playing as everybody got up was pretty lame, plus it took too long because they had to play most of the song as well as show that damn near every person we know was alright.

it took time away from the action. for instance when ed/al/izumi got their alchemy back and destroyed father’s throne they cut the BGM (the music that played when Mustang killed Lust, probably the best piece of music in the entire series) and the way they cut it kinda ruined the impact of the “the fightback begins” scene for me.

and then after ed destroyed pride’s body and put him on his coat, they quickly cut to him walking away because they were about out of time… because of the long, cheesy OP sequence

also agree that the best they’ve combined the OP/ED music into the actual show was Ed/Al meeting at the Gate. one of of the best episodes of the entire series IMHO

40. Pride being alive at the end of the series really highlights a big theme overall: “pride” keeps us going.

A majority of the characters showed a lot of pride in themselves throughout the series.

I actually wrote about how the series shows that pride can be beneficial for survival. You can read it at: http://www.mangatherapy.com/post/806561122/pridesymbolism-fma

@Kaiser: You're right, totally forgot that. Looking forward to this. Also I could have sworn I heard about a new project from Iso (Dennou Coil) last year but I guess I either confused him with someone else or with Children of Ether in which he's involved in some kind of way.
@Amagi: That series was going to be devilman crybaby .
Wasn't Yuasa also doing a series of some sort this year? Haven't watched the movies yet but I loved most of his stuff so far, with Kaiba being my favorite.
Wow, Houseki did not disappoint for me this week.
I enjoyed it for what it was. But I'd say even if you didn't read the subs you probably wouldn't have much trouble following it.
I actually had a look and lu over the wall, coincidentally , there are moments of where Yuasa's imagination/visuals shine through and its a genuinely charming film at times, but it does almost outstay its welcome and there's a sense Yuasa was somewhat restrained this time round, it IS a kids movie and that kind of does need to be taken into account, its not AS mad as mind game or kemonozume.
Yoake Tsugeru Lu no Uta is subbed, but no idea if the subs are good
And its quite natural.
@Mario: Florida project succeeds through its free flowing nature/narrative and manages to be hilarious all the while managing to never allow you forget its also a kitchen sink drama, the best performances come from William Dafoe and the girl. At the end it gut punches the audience emotionally.
@Kaiser: also expecting Florida Project, 3 Billboards, and The Shape of Water in my end
Eh, Kino was a bit too slight this week.
@Mario: Just Lu, disaster artist and happy end left now for the year. Maybe the new Godzilla.
@Mario: I felt that Sion Soni's Noriko's dinner table did the irl acting thing better.
@Kaiser: I'm going to watch The Killing of a Sacred Deer. Consider I regarded The Lobster as one of the best film of that year and Dogtooth and Alps impressed me a lot; I have high hope for this one
Mooooommm, I want my Lu over the wal subs and I want them now OMO!
Niello
...Can't torrent where I am, grrrr.
I'm quite fond of Go Nagai's devilman, so I'll be interested in seeing Yuasa's adaptation of it whenever it comes out.
@Kasier: ha! thanks Kaiser. Finally it's out... gonna download it now
@Mario: Here is a link to Night is short walk on girl English subbed: https://nyaa.si/view/979508
@Mario: OR JUST MONIKA Amirite =P
in all seriousness though, I hope they can use one week break to smooth out their production.
so Just Because's taking a break this week. The reason: just because
Mhmhmm Inuyashiki was great this week. I just love this show.
The hell- no didn't know that. I really wouldn't have expected tribute songs to this series
Niello
@Amagi: Did you know this exists? And it's by Igorrr no less. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhQQ57N-9ys&list=PL9ku-W0xIzd4EYUL9bUG2CZXBIy7cCiSk
Niello
And yes, I'm just waiting and waiting for the day the anime get announced. No doubt it'll becomes a classic.
Niello
@Eoghan, I don't think it becomes a mess though, the story threads all come together amazingly well.
I too recommend at least watching 2nd episode of Tanya before passing judgement.

Looking forward to the Urasawa manga as well!
SuperWooper
@Anonymous: Thanks! Reading blog posts used to be my go-to distraction when I took breaks at work. Now I have to take breaks from writing them. It's a grind at times, but Star Crossed ought to be alive for a while yet.
Adaptions for series like these only work when they're passion projects. If they're not they end up like the Dies Irae anime.
It's another one of those series I really wish to see as an anime with music, movement and so on. But same as with Made in Abyss, it needs a cometent director and one that is in love with the work or else it will be a letdown
@Niello: Yes and I fucking love it. The gritty style, the setting, the characters and designs and so on. @Kaiser didn't know she was under Nihei that's cool. I love these sketchy styles
@Niello: yes and more people I believe should so, despite that its kind of become a mess, I take the thing as one big black comedy. The woman who drew it interestingly enough apprenticed under Tsutomu Nihei.
Niello
Anyone here read Dorohedoro?
Just passing by to say like the place, it's kinda perfect to read for whenever I take a break. And most importantly I haven't read anything stupid. Hopefully it won't die anytime soon:0
Masky - Overlord has an OP isekai, yet I find that series compelling do to the world building, and how even with power and influence, the MC plays like a chessmaster and not brute force his way into doing something.
@Masky, I wouldn't write off Tanya so fast. Make it to episode 2 at least.
I feel I need to actually properly get into Godzilla for some frame of reference before the anime film, I've only seen the new one and the original.
Or the Hiroshima movie
I know you can't have everything but considering that we currently have Blame, the Itoh movies, Lu over the Wall, Godzilla or Napping Princess this is rather a let down
Meh, not really happy about the anime film festival decision here - a few good movies are there: heaven's feel, motherfucka (from the tekkonkinkreet guy) and another one that sounds great but other than that a lot specials like conan movie #718 or something, the third part (why?) of persona 3 and other movies that are just specials of series I dropped at some point
*WWI
I mean, op isekai mc is boring whether they are hero or villain, thats how tired I'm of that trope at least
So was wondering what was up with that Tanya the Evil show and was disappointed to find out its "Isekai were MC is evil and WWII esque fantasy setting"
dragon ball kai
dragon ball z
@Mario: That Godard biopic you mentioned is showing tonight and on sunday afternoon, at the very least I'll be checking out Le Chinoise in preparation for it.
@Kaiser: and right after I just watched Loving Vincent in theatre, it's available online
@Amagi: Blame! got released ages ago and no one watched it.
@Mario: Out in cinemas in Dublin in 3 weeks though, might aswell wait.
Also Lu over the Wall is out, with Russian subtitle. So anyone here who can understand Russian, you're in luck
@Kaiser: Thanks, I love quite many anime movies. Guess I have something to watch this weekend.
Not many I am afraid. Though I do like it's music.
who is fairy tail fan here
For those interested anime Godzilla is out in a few weeks. Also Genocidal organ, napping princess and in this corner of the world are out as is the Fate/ilya movie.
I'm interested enough to read more of that Urasawa manga.
I don't point out errors (although its part of my job at work to lol) but I feel that one thing was noticeable in the Kino review, soap instead of soup is mentioned.
Eh, I quite like it when anything deals with religion or conviction in a mature way, it makes me feel things.
Not really keen on following a Urasawa manga while it's ongoing considering how much of a slow burn his stories usually are.
To the English only people: the Urasawa manga is translated into English now - it's on Mangastream (so beware of the watermark, but better than nothing)
The anime?
... still on course with the anime (my phone acting up again)
@afgm: welcome back mate. It has been awhile. Hope you're
@Amagi, The sign post with Iyami's teeth symbol read something like Buddhist reseach facility, which only makes it weirder.
Also that Iyami clone seems to be the same as the running guy on page 2 (which was also the promo page posted on sites like ANN)
Thank you very much anon. I love how international this chat is. But what you said makes the story feel even weirder. Really wonder what this is about but I can't say I am not interested now
This is weird, really weird.
[spoiler] As expected, now he's in another trouble. ...He mistook a crow for a blue bird that will bring happiness. And then we go back to the scene at the beginning when he hallucinate about someone calling. ...Is that Iyami from Osomatsu-san?
[spoiler]Then because Trump is currently popular, their plan to is mass produce the mask with the guy's factory? (He's totally getting dupe isn't e?)
[spoiler] The wife won a lottery and got a free vacation ticket to a luxurious cruise ship. She then left the husband with another guy. The Trump parody hag person is Beverly Duncan. Then one of the husband coworker put on a mask of Trump and start mocking.
afgm
I feel like the site is finally coming back into its own :)
afgm
(and great old writers)
afgm
Great new writers on the site
[spoiler] He's trying to look at tax avoidance and discuss it to his fam. The turns out the gov start checking so that plan was a bust. Now they are looking at potential confiscations, including their flip flop factory.
[Spoiler] So the guy seem to be having some kind of hallucination of someone calling him, even though there's no one in that direction.
@Amagi "but it's in Thai", :)
I am really looking forward to the Pluto anime. But I guess it won't come earlier than spring 2018 or something.
If it was Japanese I'd at least understand a few parts (and almost everything if it was French) but now I have not the slightest idea what this is about but it does look interesting. I also liked Urasawa's earlier one shot. The one after Billy
Not sure if I am allowed to link scans so here an indirect (last post) one I found, but it's in Thai (I hope someone who understands it will translate that chapter into English) https://www.reddit.com/r/manga/comments/780rve/sl_how_long_until_we_see_the_1st_chapter_of_naoki/
It shows a lot of shots though that bring back memories of Urasawa's earlier works. Its great that he's going weird; Urasawa is one of the best at producing unique series, even if his methodical writing and storytelling style is always evident.
Is it Mujirushi? I saw some French advert for it, (nothing said except that it's launching soon), but I can't find anything else on it.
There is a (sadly, non-English) scan for Urasawa's new manga and it looks weird. Hundreds of masks of some presidential candidate that looks like a female Trump and a weird and shady guy at the end.
That said, why is PUBG on any of these lists. Its still in beta
Horizon on the other hand is easily understood and fits the open world mold well. I like Nier more, but Horizon is still a really good game.
Everyone knows it exists, but not everyone likes it/could finish it/understands it.
Thats the thing, it still is a niche. Its in the same category of Souls games now
Niello
Nier may not be a new IP, but it's an IP that finally rise from obscurity after being a really niche cult hit for years.
Niello
Why would being weird a negative for Nier? Doesn't that imply creativity?
I suppose because Horizon is a new IP and also less weird than Nier. I haven't played it, but presentation alone has marked a great impression of that game.
Niello
Why is Nier in only 3 categories and Horizon Zero Dawn so many even where it's not deserve?
Niello
I still think Maho Yome is super overrated. The show so far has been more about spectacles than anything. I get it, the manga is pretty good, still not one nearly even one of the best though.
PUBG I feel its an odd choice. Mainly because it's the only game listed that I wasn't aware it existed.
The game awards are near, and so here are the nominations for all categories:
KT Here. they did not force it. They let the circumstances do the talking and it was powerful.
KT Here: Yes psgels is a man, yes for a long time I was under the impression he was a woman. Now and Then, Here and There is indeed excellent. The thing was exactly that, a frank depiction of what child soldiers go through. Considering how most shounen shows are essentially about kids engaging in war, the frank and gritty depictions was welcome if dis-concerning. And as Super pointed out they did
Yeah, I can give the show a full review (says the guy who is currently behind on his weekly post). But be mindful that as this show is in my top 10 anime, my rating might be even higher than psgels' (Usually my taste is different than his but in Now and Then we are pretty much on the same page)
The shounen element is for me, intentional as Now and then plays by the typical shounen rules (with a bery typical shounen protagonist) entirely in its first episode before slaming every brutal things towards him. Yep, they imply many dark contents make it much more disturbing. That girl (I think her name is Mary)'s circumstance ripped my heart
Nielllo
@Mario: I'd be interest in that! The atmosphere to me is like Jing the Bandit King but less surreal and more shounen.
@Mario: The scene where the girl is raped/abused in the prison. It stands out for the fact they imply it rather than showing.
Actually, I can re-watch it over the weekend and give it a full review. Again, it has been awhile so I'm intrigued to see how the show's holding up for me now
They're brutal but not for the sake of being brutal, I never feel the show as heavy handed on its brutality, or sugarcoating the optimistism of the main character. The show is about the scar of war and for that imo they really deliver the message
That's what happen when I prepared to write a long comment, but work held me up so I had to cut it short. It's been awhile since I last saw Now and Then, but I feel the show has a frank and down to earth depection of the terror of war...
Nielllo
@SuperMario, You'll need to explain it to me man...
@Psgels is woman
Really???
@Niello: i love Now and Then. One of the rare series that I rated 10/10. I feel all the drama is raw, and effective
Nielllo
The last time I check, the scanlation group doesn't have the translator position filled up. At this point I'm probably going to order the remaining volumes at some point and just try to read it in Japanese. The worse thing is it's a josei so the text doesn't have furigana and I'll be stuck with just Kanji.
Nielllo
That sums up my feeling for Now and Then, Here and There really well.I took a look at the raw of the last chapter and it pretty much ended like how I think it would (mostly the epilogue, so not much spoiler)
With how slow the updates are for Amatsuki's manga I will probably re-re-read the whole thing again when it ever finishes. I disliked the protaganist of now and then here and there , while I did enjoy the misery the characters went through as it made for good drama and that dictator guy was suitably effective, I never got the FEELs watching it.
Nielllo
My taste generally align well with psgels (hurray for seeing potential in Amatsuki? that one surprised me, really didn't expect a 90/100, not complaining of course), but can someone explain to me, the appeal of Now and Then, Here and There?
*are many
I suppose we do live in the introvert age, so there probably are who have plenty of time to burn.
I agree about the having more time when your young thing definitely though, I'd argue I probably had too much of it, we probably don't use that time as well as we should come to think of it looking back.
Which means I also have more time because I'm not in a relationship.
I know this will sound terrible, but I don't really bother associating with women beyond necessary interaction.
*or hikkimori
I'm not upset about this, just means theres extra time to be filled because everyones too pre-occupied in their spare time.
I save well and don't have many people to buy for , I also pirate everything.
I wouldn't call myself a NEET of hikkikomori, but genuinely do have absolutely no life, so I pretty much only leave my home for part time work/food/cinema trips. I don't party or drink and I see old friends once or twice a year (They've all moved), maybe my brother slightly more but not as often as most people would.
@Vyse: haha, you have a wild imagination. I'm pretty sure he's man
@anon1561372: pretty much what Kaiser said. He did came back a few months ago for monthly summaries but it seems life's swallowing him again. Would love to see him back to be honest
@Aidan: well, I'm at a stage where I don't have either enough time or money or anything concrete for my life. So I envy those who have plenty times to burn
Psgels professional and social life became more demanding and had a bout of writers block. Going by the photograph and voice on some of the podcasts he did, psgels is very much a man.
VyseLegendaire
psgels is a female
@SuperMario Where did he go? Did he just stop completely?
Well his posts were not as long as ours and I think he did them mostly in his secondary school years and you have plenty of time to burn back then. I remember I used to make a point of finishing games 100% back then and I replayed a ton of them over and over again.
And back in the day, psgels could blog like 3 or 4 posts per day, many of them on the same day of its airing. How the hell could he do that consistently for almost 10 years?
Fell asleep yesterday while writing Houseki review. Now that bastard will have to wait until later tonight (It's morning here). Apologize for that
Niello
Really? I thought the manga art is gorgeous. The beginning, not so much, but her art really improved. I love how whimsical it is. Other characters not so much, but Mahmut's design is really a step down from the manga.
ah you will hate me. Much as I love the story, I just cannot find the character art pleasing. On that one point for me the animated version was better. For example I much preferred the depiction of Einstein in the anime than in the manga. Now this is a personal thing, but I am shallow, and I do read manga partly for the art. So I am torn. I prefer the manga for the story but the anime for the art
Niello
@KTravlos: As a fan of the manga, I wouldn't say it's for us manga reader at all. I dropped this abomination long ago, I just can't stand it. It got butchered just like Amatsuki was, and tha's by the same director. I really really hope he never get to touch on an adaptation ever again.
also the Altai episode this week showed all the problems of the series. The pace was just too fast. Essentially this was just an episode for manga readers. Very very problematic
@SuperMario. I actually think that a double review of Altiar and AS would work better, as a way to talk a bit more expansively on the whole genre
Oh hey awesome, new black mirror episodes in December.
it's not really a plot twist, but it is a drastic change.
I honestly don't know how well the anime will handle it. I'd like to think they will surpass the manga because they put a lot of care into the scene. It involves a fight scene and they have been handling those well, so I'm hopeful.
@anon1558097: will that shock plot twist whatever-it-is even make it this season? I'll be honest but if I have to compare the current anime to what I've read from the manga so far (first few chapters), The manga is more inventive and awe-inspiring for me
@Mario: DON'T. I'm having a much better time enjoying the show ever since I stop comparing it to the manga. Still a shame I won't be getting the initial shock reaction from what's going to happen in the second half though.
Now you guys are really tempting me to read on the houseki manga, but I WON'T
I really wish that we could see more of the snail race things in houseki , the Gems and moon people have had their turn.
Honey and clover had a much stronger balance of humour and drama, with sugatsu I feel its the drama that stands out best.
Okay major major MAJOR houseki spoilers....sensei is really....
.....
.....Saitama from onepunch man.
@Mario: I've only seen the first season.
@Mario: And anyone who breaks your Dia(mond) must be destroyed.
@Kaiser: just look at the lastest episode (27), juggling, bouncy, silly in the first half and then emotional depth in the second. Well, that's a 3-gatsu's tone we pretty come to expect now
@Kaiser: ANYONE DARE TO MAKE MY HINA CRIES WILL HAVE TO PAY. I share the exact same sentiment with Rei
I will say this...it is...an un-evenly paced series...but always jolts you before you get too bored with it.

Inuyashiki – 6 [People of 2chan]

This week Inuyashiki fulfills last weeks predictions in a rather unexpected way. Strap in for some suicide, mass murder and the tail-spin of everyone’s favorite sociopath. Lets jump in! Rather than being a parallel between our two heroes like usual, this episode is focused almost entirely on Hiro. To me, this episode hits loosely on […]

Juuni Taisen – 07 [In Like a Dragon, Out Like a Snake (Part 1)]

For a character who officially dead before Juuni Taisen started (and thus, render him “useless” to win the tournament), Snake is surprisingly one of the most fearsome warrior of the race so far. He assisted Rabbit to kill Boar in the first episode, he cornered Rat to every holes Rat could hide, he KILLED Horse, […]

Dies Irae – 04/05[Spider/Reunion]

Forgive my tardiness in not covering Dies Irae last week. I had a few things going on and a serious lack of motivation. I am certain all two of you(Might be an overexpression of the number) that read these Dies Irae reviews were deeply disappointed. We have two episodes this week, one which was rather […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 27 [Feelings/Confession]

This episode of 3-gatsu felt like a companion piece to the heart-wrenching drama of the previous week. In fact, the “Feelings” chapter from this installment, where Rei asks Hayashida-sensei for advice, was a direct continuation of the same chapter from last time. Until this point, I felt that the series had approached the subject of […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 19[Dawn of the end]

We near the finale and Apocrypha gears up to bring things to a close, even if that setup is essentially mentioning that the battle is coming to an end over and over again. it’s more than a little strange to see this episode start up and it is though the entire three episode arc of […]

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World- – 06[In the clouds]

I would say there were plenty new watchers fooled into thinking this was Kino’s origin story and I admit to having the thought that the remake may be creating a new origin for her. But alas this is an episode focused on someone else entirely. Still I consider it a strong episode even if it […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 6 [The Faerie Queene]

Welcome to what is, in my opinion so far, the most beautiful episode of Mahoutsukai. Stunning art, world-building and character progression await you inside. Lets jump in. The best part of Mahoutsukai this week to me was easily the art/music and the world-building. I bring these up first because they were easily the most standout […]

Houseki no Kuni – 06 [First Battle]

Houseki maintains its impressive streak this week, with Phos learning their new role patronizing, a job once again clearly isn’t suitable for our main character. While you could say Houseki follows the same formula from the very first week: first introduces a huge array of Gems’ cast, then leaves Phos out in some kind of […]

Girls’ Last Tour – 06 [Takeoff]

Some might say futility is an essence of life. That we spend our life wasted away for complete nothingness. And some might argue that what their life worth is based on how much they contribute to the society. Not here in Girls’ Last Tour, the world where the concept of society is long vanished, ultimately […]

The Reflection Review – 45/100