Posted by psgels on 13 June 2010 with categories: Full Metal Alchemist - Brotherhood

It’s just as I hoped: the finale of Full Metal Alchemist managed to surpass itself. I really consider this and the previous episode to belong to the true highlights of this series. This is really what I’ve been hoping, the way in which the creators managed to use all of the build-up of the entire series and just deliver an incredibly action-packed finale.

It’s also great to see that the animation is back to its old quality again. The action-scenes looked incredibly diverse and gorgeous, and it really showed that Bones was saving up its budget for those final few episodes during the past season. I especially loved the scene in which Father blasts his first energy beam to Hohenheim.

My biggest fear of this episode was of course the following: with how powerful Father has become, how the heck did the creators plan to bump him from his throne? It would be pretty lame to just have a bunch of kids ruin a plan that involves hundreds of years of preparing. I wasn’t disappointed here, though: it was Hohenheim who turned out to have the final trick up his sleeve, as he too spent centuries, attempting to do something against Father’s plans, and therefore formed an excellent core to foil his plans. Add that to Scar’s brother, who turned out to be surprisingly close to the truth here with his research, and I’m more than satisfied.

This episode was over the top in its action, but that’s especially what I’ve been expecting of it from the start. It was all about having formerly invincible characters getting defeated, but it’s all done in style: Wrath’s ending was epic. He went down against a worthy opponent, and even then he was only at a fraction of his strength because of a mistake he made a few episodes back, causing him to get wounded. Pride in the meantime went down like Envy: it’s because he’s flawed by design in the way that he just allowed himself to be completely destroyed, just for the sake of Father’s Pride.

And at the same time this episode also had those small details in between the action. I loved the scene in which Izumi saw her husband again, or when Roy Mustang saw Hawkeye again. They were short but powerful, and exactly what’s necessary to prevent this show from just going way too much over the top. This episode really had an excellent balance between that exposition and those action-scenes.

The final episodes also now look a lot more interesting, because Father now is no longer a god-moded threat that can’t be defeated. The problem with all-powerful characters is that they can also be made too powerful. When that happens, creators need to pull really weird deus ex machinas or plot-devices in order to keep these guys from just blowing everyone away. Here however, it was handled very well.
Rating: **** (Fantastic)

1. Ian says:

PRIDE IS NOT DEAD.

ED SPARED HIM.

ED IS THE KIND OF PERSON WHO SPARES HIS ENEMIES WHENEVER POSSIBLE.

THIS IS NOT A SPOILER.

IT WAS EXPLICITLY STATED WITHIN THE EPISODE THAT ED HAD NO INTENTION OF DEFEATING PRIDE BY KILLING HIM.

THIS DISCREPANCY CANNOT GO UNPUNISHED.

I WILL NOW SPOIL SOMETHING FOR YOU:

SHIT.

WILL.

GO.

DOWN.

2. Ian says:

THAT ADORABLE THING ED WAS HOLDING IN HIS HAND AFTER OBLITERATING PRIDE’S BODY WAS HIS TRUE FORM.

AND HE WAS UTTERING “MAMA” BECAUSE ED INTENDS TO BRING HIM TO HIS ADOPTIVE MOTHER AFTER THE FINAL BATTLE ENDS, SHOULD THEY ALL SURVIVE.

THIS WAS STATED AT THE VERY END.

AND NO, THE ALL-CAPS TYPING IS NOT TO BE CONSIDERED SHOUTING.

DON’T TAKE IT PERSONALLY.

I JUST CAN’T STAND OVERSIGHTS TO DETAILS THAT END UP BEING MISTAKEN FOR SOMETHING ELSE.

3. Cornwiggle says:

It makes me wonder how he could think Pride WAS dead. Doesn’t Ed even say “You’re going to apologize to Mrs. Bradley after this is over”?

How could you miss that part?

4. blakraven66 says:

“it was Hohenheim who turned out to have the final trick up his sleeve, as he too spent centuries, attempting to do something against Father’s plans”

While I haven’t seen the ep yet, I remember it was the scene in the beginning of ep 36 was when he found out about Father’s plan which he found out accidentally (like how Ed, Al and Olivier did) while researching a way to make himself mortal to live with Trish and the kids. So it couldn’t have been centuries, more like 15 years maybe?

5. psgels psgels says:

Wow… FMA is serious business…

If you want to know how I could have missed that… it was a typo. Sorry about that.

6. Denizen says:

Pride did effectively “die”, you nitpickers.

You know the human boy that could wield deadly shadows? It no longer exists, instead just a foetal core called Selim. “Pride” is dead.

Christ, you people.

7. pgal says:

Lol, yes FMA fans take it very seriously ;)

@blakraven66: Agreed, it seems he learnt of Father’s exact plan while he was with Trisha, but he mostly probably spend centuries trying to figure out what Father was up to.

8. egress63 says:

Good grief, the amount of rage in the first three posts in unbelievable!

9. Hana says:

Well since everyone else wants to complain :D

Gah, it annoys me you say “creators” since ONE person thought up this whole story and the BONES team is just following it, having nothing to do with the actual plot. >.> ONE genius cow. Not “creators”

Okays, I’m done.

10. Azule says:

I got the impression Ed killed Pride and spared Selim…

but anyway. Agreeing that this episode put all my doubts aside and agreeing its epic

11. clinton says:

nice to see Kimblee come back thanks to him him Ed beat Pride

12. Cornwiggle says:

These posts about “Ed sparing Selim” make no sense.

Selim is not a real person, it was Pride acting like a little boy. A persona, an act.

Pride still exists, read Grumman’s line in the final chapter; he’s still a Homunculus too. I think that now it’s a fresh start, without Father’s influence, so he won’t be evil, but he’s not a not a normal human.

13. Ian says:

FURTHERMORE, NO, ED DID NOT SAY HE WOULD MAKE PRIDE APOLOGIZE TO HER. ED WAS GOING TO APOLOGIZE HIMSELF.

14. Ian says:

And Pride IS Selim.

15. Kane says:

Ohhhhh man!!!!!

That’s what it means to be A SMOOTH CRIMINAL!!!

16. Cornwiggle says:

Dude, why would Ed apologize to her? He didn’t do anything to her.

The people who post on this blog are seriously missing half their brains.

“LoOKa IM screamiNG IN CapS beCusE eVerYtHIgn IS sAY IS tHAt~!1 ImPorTaNNNNNATTT!1!”

17. psgels psgels says:

Cornwiggle: just because one guy abuses capslock doesn’t mean that everyone is. The vast majority of commenters here are normal, sensible people. ;)

18. Kim says:

Psgels just to let you know there is now an extra episode of Brotherhood. It is going to be 64 episodes instead of 63. Which is a good thing because the last chapter was over 100 pages (and without giving anything away it was wonderful). :)

19. Kane says:

If I were to use psgels’s rating system on this episode:

The first half was “merely” **(Excellent).
    Then, the Scar vs. Wrath finale bumped it up to ***(Awesome).
    THEN, when Kimblee showed up, it became ****(Fantastic).

20. Jeff says:

Found it fairly funny when you say Mustang “saw” Hawkeye

21. Kamibito says:

I have to say the beginning of this episode was kinda anti-climactic. I was looking forward to see what a person who “swallowed” God can do. But the next battle alone was more than enough to make up for it.
    Though I still kinda feel Scar’s left arm is Deus Ex Machina-ish.

22. Liebs says:

To me, the best thing about this episode was how well Bones adapted the fight with Wrath from the manga to anime. They did something the manga didn’t do as well, and that is convey Wrath’s emotions of, well, wrath.

23. Zaric says:

I am SO glad they didn’t mess up the Kimblee scene, he got his proper exit from the series just like in the manga.

24. Bobby says:

man oh man did wrath go down in style!!! Bones really made a point of making him virtually invincible in attack mode, and it’s fitting that the only two times he gets hurt occur when his supposedly infallible eye is unexpectedly blinded, foreshadowed by ling in ep 21 when he tells bradley that he relies on his eyes too much.

like psgels said it looks like Bones saved its money for the last few eps, from the release of souls to wrath’s all-out final attack to the counterattack vs father, i literally caught my mouth open a few times in this ep. epic end to an epic series

25. Placinta says:

“…Roy Mustang saw Hawkeye again…”
    Technically, he can’t see. =]

26. Cornwiggle says:

Scar’s left arm was the first thing shown in his flashback, and Scar’s brother’s notes are a key element of this story.

Also take into account how much Scar has changed over this series; his arm is not deus ex machina at all.

27. Kane says:

I love all these Roy-bashing jokes you guys make. Freaking hilarious, especially since I don’t even like him :-p

28. shirofox says:

@ cornwiggle
    I believe when Ed said that he was going to apologize to Mrs. Bradley, it was because he had effectively destroyed her son.

29. Ian says:

For the last time, Pride was NOT killed or “effectively destroyed”. His mind was merely shattered like his unstable physical form and reverted back to a simple life form as a fail-safe of sorts to prevent him from being killed or “effectively destroyed”.

But yes, that is the basic gist of why Ed is going to apologize to Mrs. Bradley.

30. Cornwiggle says:

I could have sworn in the manga chapter I read it had “You’re going to apologize”

So that’s probably why I’m mistaking what he said. Selim would have a pretty hard apologizing and I guess destroying him (more or less) is something to apologize for while presenting what’s left.

31. helen says:

“They were short but powerful”

yes, we need more of these scenes – subtlety and realism is key

32. Topspin says:

All I know is that I haven’t been as engrossed by a childish shounen since Gurren Lagann. But geez, people.. over-analyzing it seems like an exercise in futility. You’ll only diminish it’s impact and greatness. Let your inner child enjoy the rollercoaster ride, and don’t ruin it with pointlessly excessive analysis.

33. Cornwiggle says:

Gurren Lagann fucking fails.

34. Hana says:

Topspin, this show/manga (more so the manga) deserves some over analyzing. Hell is deserves a lot. Arakawa put a lot of research/thought and work into this series and if you give one ounce of a damn you could realize there’s a lot to be discovered in this series especially everything involving The Gate and Truth, Father, the homunculi, and Alchemy itself.

Ever heard of Kabbalah? Go nuts Topspin. You have a lot of analyzing to do.

35. Topspin says:

See, Hana, you aren’t talking about the type of analysis I’m seeing above. You are referring to analyzing a great piece of entertainment in terms of it’s influences. That’s how you know it’s great – it actually inspires you to seriously consider figuring out where it drew it’s own inspiration.

But arguing overmuch about the show itself is ridiculous and missing the point. Who cares if Pride died symbolically or physically? Or if someone missed a detail or maybe found a plothole? Sure, it wins you geek cred on a certain level, but it’s not the same thing as reading up on Merkavah mysticism, Neoplatonism, and all the other inspirations the show draws from.

36. Reltair says:

I liked how “Father” made himself look younger after he merged. Can’t he change his appearance to whatever he wants anyways?

37. Hunter-Wolf says:

@everyone

How come no one commented on the best moment ever in the Episode .. actually in that moment the anime does surpass the manga medium .. at first i noticed the lack of an OP to fit with the grim mood (almost everyone died) .. then at the exact moment the souls return to their hosts and with the first cry of the baby the OP starts playing .. heck .. that was one of the most impactful moments in the series for me (after the first Winry/Ed/Scar scene where Winry cries).. they really played it right .. made great use of the OP song/music and timed it perfectly to create and switch the mood around .. BRAVO Bones.

38. PicoPallino says:

@Hunter_Wolf: That scene you found so incredible for me it was pretty cheesy. Especially the long wait until the baby finally cried. I KNEW it would cry any second as a sign of hope, everyone is alive whatever. It had no impact on me because it was just too obvious Bones was trying hard to make a nice scene. The best scene of the whole anime for me was the one when Ed saw his brother on the gate. How they played the music, the emotions, that was really great. Impressive.

39. Bobby says:

@PicoPallino

I. TOTALLY. AGREE.

i thought the OP playing as everybody got up was pretty lame, plus it took too long because they had to play most of the song as well as show that damn near every person we know was alright.

it took time away from the action. for instance when ed/al/izumi got their alchemy back and destroyed father’s throne they cut the BGM (the music that played when Mustang killed Lust, probably the best piece of music in the entire series) and the way they cut it kinda ruined the impact of the “the fightback begins” scene for me.

and then after ed destroyed pride’s body and put him on his coat, they quickly cut to him walking away because they were about out of time… because of the long, cheesy OP sequence

also agree that the best they’ve combined the OP/ED music into the actual show was Ed/Al meeting at the Gate. one of of the best episodes of the entire series IMHO

40. Pride being alive at the end of the series really highlights a big theme overall: “pride” keeps us going.

A majority of the characters showed a lot of pride in themselves throughout the series.

I actually wrote about how the series shows that pride can be beneficial for survival. You can read it at: http://www.mangatherapy.com/post/806561122/pridesymbolism-fma

Shoutbox

Name:
Email:
For:
Mail will not be published
  • BrendanVGC
    (Wednesday, Mar 4. 2015 10:06 PM)
    @aidanak47 that kaworu plan was so stupid in all three versions of evangelion (the original, manga, and rebuild) that he remains a really shallow character to this day. The manga had the best character development for him (still only like a chapter and a half long before he dies tho). Rebuild spent an entire movie length with the potential to go indepth but it somehow failed miserably. Probably because all he did was be a love interest for shinji and play piano duets.
  • AidanAK47
    (Wednesday, Mar 4. 2015 07:14 PM)
    @Brenda, yes but when you look at there plan it’s nonsense. They have an end goal yet everything they do seems to hinder that goal. For example, instead of taking on the act of fighting angels themselves they set up a banch of there organisation and put it in the hands of someone they clearly do not trust. Then they constantly limit their funds therefore increasing the chances of third impact and screwing up the entire plan.
  • Emma
    (Wednesday, Mar 4. 2015 05:45 PM)
    Damn, its absolutely criminal that I still haven’t got round to playing the new smash bros yet…
  • choi
    (Wednesday, Mar 4. 2015 05:24 PM)
    I love the anime seens birth always watch anime online english subbed and dubbed in anime site before i leave house i watch at least 2 episode like naruto, bleach or one piece i techinically watch anime in my destop also google chrome but everything is change and i use now laptop for some reason but many site recommended to watch but i love to watch in animereborn.net for subbed and for dubbed
  • BrendanVGC
    (Wednesday, Mar 4. 2015 04:46 PM)
    @aidanak47 true i guess, i dont use the wiiu for anything else but Smash. But Seele is making unnecessarily complicated villainy plans, as all anime villains like to do to drag the story along
  • AidanAK47
    (Wednesday, Mar 4. 2015 02:13 PM)
    @Emma, haven’t been keeping up with those shows. Yatterman kinda went a direction I didn’t like and I haven’t heard good things about rolling girls. As for Junketsu, I just didn’t really get around to continuing it.
  • AidanAK47
    (Wednesday, Mar 4. 2015 02:10 PM)
    @brendan, You think I could own a Wii u and not have smash bros? That’s like having a console with no television. On Eva I think the biggest problem is that if you actually think about Seele’s plan you realize that it makes no sense. Whatsoever. Hell it’s like they are actively trying to shoot themselves in the foot.
  • Emma
    (Wednesday, Mar 4. 2015 10:10 AM)
    I’ve noticed Aidan you’ve had no additional words on rolling girls, yatterman night, Junketsu no Maria. Also I would definitely gladly read your Garo posts.
  • Bam
    (Wednesday, Mar 4. 2015 09:59 AM)
    Fumoffu was considerably funnier than the actual show, but it only paid off if you were somewhat invested in the main series.
  • Emma
    (Wednesday, Mar 4. 2015 09:50 AM)
    Man, making favourites list is so hard, I needed to fit some shoji Kawamori, Asano Inio and Tsutomu Nihei on the list…

1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · »

Durarara!!X2 – 08

No animation issues this time around thankfully. Really like the touch of Irelands flag on the cup Shinra gave the girl at their apartment. Sometimes it’s easy to forget that Celty is indeed Irish. Probably one of the few Irish characters in anime. And here we learn that the one who told the little girl […]

Death Parade – 08

Why do you do this to me death parade? You dodge your true potential and instead focus on background exposition or, of all things, comedy. Then just as I was about to lose interest and give up, you present the best episode of the series so far. Now this, this is what I was talking […]

Durarara!!X2 – 07

I think the problem with this episode was evident right from the opening scene. I had to do a double take when seeing a very poorly drawn Simon. I even questioned whether it was a new character entirely. But no, the animation budget took a nosedive. Or the guy who was to do the inbetweens […]

Death Parade – 07

Why is the girl from the last episode still around? This episode brought up three rules about arbiters. The third rule, about arbiters not having emotions, Is odd to me. For the arbiters we have been introduced to are very emotional. They state that Decim was given human emotions yet he is the least emotional […]

Durarara!!X2 – 06

Turns out that assassination attempt got Celty to see her life flash before her eyes. I suppose taking a tumble off a moving motorcycle is a fatal thing. But well in the last arc we saw two people survive getting blown away at about the length of a football field. So I cannot say I […]

Death Parade – 06

Death Parade in a risky move has taken things in a new direction. A daring adventurous move that no one expected. And it is…absolutely terrible. Death Parade, what happened? Did no one read over the script and do a shaft head tilt in wonder? Was there not an Animator who said “Excuse me sir. But […]

Durarara!!X2 – 05

We have yet another new character entering the show. A motorcycle gang leader who has a massive fondness for woman. Personally I am not a fan of him. His brand of female overprotective crazy just seems like a downgrade from the shows already huge cast of crazies. He looks like a character whose introduction serves […]

Death Parade – 05

If asked about how I think of death parade so far, my answer would have to be divided. On one hand the premise is rife with potential and it does have moments where it rises above the bar. But it also seems confused as to what it wants to be. We have death games between […]

Durarara!!X2 – 04

The current story arc ends abruptly and unexpectedly. I am rather surprised that it came here. From how this was portrayed it felt this would be a longer arc than it turned out to be. So with its end I must think back and wonder. What exactly did this arc accomplish? We got introduced to […]

Clipboard06

Nerawareta Gakuen Review – 84/100

Let me talk a bit about Ryousuke Nakamura. For a long time, this guy was my hero. He started off as an assistant director to Monster, in my opinion a big reason why that series got such a ridiculously solid adaptation, and then in 2008 he came with the groundbreaking Mouryou no Hako. No TV-series […]

Clipboard03

Kick Heart

Okay, so I didn’t want to exit 2013 without having seen Masaaki Yuasa’s Kick Heart. It’s only twelve minutes anyway, and I consider him to be one of the best anime directors out there. The story here is pretty silly and mostly serves as a backdrop, so I mostly want to talk about the nature […]

Clipboard01

Kyousogiga Review – 90/100

Everyone’s taste is different, and that’s a wonderful thing because that allows us to have so many different forms of media that all aim toward their own niche. My blog is obviously written from the perspective of my own taste, and even when a show doesn’t cater to it (which is nearly always), I love […]

Clipboard04

Ore no Nounai Sentakushi ga, Gakuen Lovecome o Zenryoku de Jama Shiteiru Review – 80/100

Noucome! You do not want to know how long I have been waiting for a series like this. More than half a decade, at the very least. Finally a series comes along and puts the incredibly overused harem genre in its place. And it actually does it well. Thank you! So to elaborate: the harem […]

Clipboard01

Pokemon: The Origin Review – 75/100

Normally I try to avoid spoilers with these reviews, but screw it, it’s Pokemon. Pokemon The Origin is a bomb of nostalgia. If you haven’t played Pokemon Red, Blue or Green, then you will not enjoy this one slight bit. This really is made as pure undilluted fanservice for the fans of the first games. […]

Clipboard08

Tamayura – More Aggressive Review – 75/100

I’m not going to dedicate a post for my impression for the final three episodes of this series. It was just too boring to write much about. I guess that that gives a pretty accurate indication of what I think about this series. Right at the start of Tamayura’s second season, I asked one question: […]

Clipboard04

Silver Spoon Review – 86/100

When Noitamina started airing two series per season, it was amazing. It’s a timeslot that on average tends to be aimed at a much older audience than usual, and having two series with the same mentality definitely helped to bring more diversity to anime overall. Unfortunately it’s a schedule that could not be kept up […]

Clipboard07

Yondemasuyo, Azazel-San Z Review – 82,5/100

Reviewing a comedy sequel usually is quite simple: in most cases it just drops the bomb and runs out of inspiration, and in rare cases it actually manages to stay hilarious. The tricky thing with these kinds of series is that you need to remain funny, and you need to have the inspiration for that. […]

Clipboard05

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet Review – 81/100

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet tells the storyline of a planet that is completely submerged, with only giant ships residing on the surface, while one of those ships gets visited by this guy and his AI-mecha from this very technologically advanced civilization. Yes, this show is about world building. What this show managed to do […]