Posted by psgels on 20 June 2010 with categories: Full Metal Alchemist - Brotherhood

So this is it: the big battle against the final villain. The key is of course to get the plot to come together at the same time, rather than just showing a bunch of yelling and flashy beams for episodes after each other. This episode passed with flying colours. It yet again had my attention from beginning to end.

Interestingly enough, this has a ton of parallels to the ending of the first Full Metal Alchemist. I’m going to discuss those now, so those who have yet to see it: SPOILER ALERT.

In the first season, Al TOO sacrificed himself for Ed, also with a bit of help from a small plot-hole. In this episode: how did Al know exactly how to go to the gate all of a sudden? In the first season meanwhile, the concepts of the Philosopher’s stone was a lot more vague than in brotherhood. It was much more mythical and mysterious, rather than the strictly defined powers it gives you in the Brotherhood series. As a result, the circumstances here are much more detailed than the ending of the first season, in which Ed dies then Al offers his life to save Ed who then offers his life again for Al. Here, Al acts out of desperation, as a way to prevent Ed from getting killed by offering him his arm back now that Ed no longer has a reason to not have his arm (I guess that that means that it immediately returns the arm to the original owner).

You can also see this contrast between the two series in the portrayal of “God”: in the first series it was all powerful, it was always there to punish those who messed around with human transmutation but nobody actually knew who he was or where he came from. In Brotherhood however, he’s a gigantic eyeball in an eclipse who designed a totally logical world in which people get to travel to a gate dimension when they attempt to transmute humans. Ed’s arm is more like a sacrifice to get to somewhere (the truth), rather than just a punishment.

Aside from that, a lot of this episode was just about everyone, who could fight from long range, whether main characters, side characters or even nameless soldiers, hacking away at Father to try and break that guy’s barrier. I loved how this episode gradually played out and broke this barrier of his to the point where he eventually snapped.

I think that the one character with the surprising amount of airtime that I totally did not expect was Mai Chang. I mean, she has been a vital side-character for the past episode ever since they started fighting Father, even more important than Roy Mustang. I think that part of the reason why the creators made her decide to go back with Envy was a way to develop her for later, on top of getting her involved back with the plot and story. You can certainly see that she’s very alert right now, much more than she was at the beginning of the series. Still, I would have liked to see at least a bit more of her backstory in the earlier episodes.
Rating: *** (Awesome)

1. Nayrael says:

Al used human transmutation once and saw the truth. It seems that whenever you attempt to do a human transmutation, you travel to the gate.

2. psgels psgels says:

Nayrael: Hmm, but then the question remains: why didn’t Al just do this before? At a quiet moment, couldn’t he just have gotten his body back, and leave in the same way as when he left when he first encountered his body?

3. Keith says:

psgels, I don’t know if you realized this, but I’ll try to explain it.

When they tried to resurrect their mom, Al’s and Ed’s arm were the payment. If Ed had not sacrificed his arm, Al would basically be dead right now.

Al realized that if he uses human transmutation on himself, he can go back to his body and give Ed his arm back. He’s basically UNDOING what Ed did when he brought Al back.

Al can’t come back.

4. goody says:

sure Al could’ve done it sooner, but he would be stuck in white-land.

the point is (and Truth-kun says so too) is what Ed will sacrifice to bring him back.

i can assure you that’s quite fitting and pulls the story full circle.

5. PicoPallino says:

Hm. Don’t want to say something stupid, I have to think about it a bit more, but human transmutation is not possible (I mean getting back dead people). If you try to mess around with human lives you travel to the gate. And there you get a glimpse of the truth and you have to pay for it. It’s all about equal exchange. You cannot just travel there and going back without making a sacrifice for getting the truth.

SPOILER! SPOILER! That’s how Ed tricked the Truth at the end by sacrificing what he got and always had. But maybe I’m wrong?

6. Kim says:

I don’t consider what Al did a sacrifice. I consider it an act of faith in Ed.

Also yes Al could have went back anytime but then he would have been stuck with Truth which is what he is now. So what he did is not a permanent solution he just made the decision to do this now because otherwise Ed would have died (and he was about to die too since there was a crack towards the blood seal). Thus he puts his faith in Ed to win and to get him back.

7. Ranfan says:

What Kim said.

What Al did was undo what Ed did when he dragged Al’s soul back in exchange for his arm. So he didn’t specifically know how to get to the Gate he just knew that he’d be reversing what Ed did and putting everything back how it was originally supposed to be if Ed hadn’t of made that first sacrifice. Al stuck at the Gate, body and soul, and Ed without a leg but still with his arm. All Al did was reverse it because he was about to die (blood seal cracking)and Ed was about to die. But he had faith in Ed that he would come back to get him.

8. TJ says:

This episode was actually better than the manga version imo… maybe by the sheer fact that whole thing was animated so well (with the music).

9. Cornwiggle says:

“The creators made her come back”

Arakawa made her, the creators the are just following her story and adapting.

10. Ranfan says:

THANK YOU Cornwiggle. That just irks me every time psgels does that.

@TJ: I gotta say I completely and utterly disagree with you. I just finished watching it and I’m so disappointed. The manga was a thousands hundred million times better. Actually, I think I disliked this episode so much I might start going around telling people to read the manga chapter, which I’ve never done for Brotherhood except for the Ishbal flashback.
    I think it was a poor adaptation that missed all the brilliant subtleties and details of chapter 107. And I even think the animation was really wonky at points.

11. psgels psgels says:

Um, note that with “creators” I really mean “creators” as in “whoever created it”. This doesn’t distiguish between Manga or Anime.

12. Johnson says:

So, Greed did that thing where he was like, “I just wanted to have friends” already, right?

Or did they leave that out of the anime? (which would’ve been a good decision… though I don’t think they would)

Because that might have been the lamest thing I’ve ever heard. Actually, not true, Bleach is the lamest thing I’ve ever heard. But it’s close.

13. TheRollingCamel says:

@Johnson, i quite find Greed’s subliminal greediness for friends quite fitting. It explains his illogical extreme hatred to show his carbonized form so he don’t scare ppl off and why he always gets stuck in gang although he is a homunculus. Everything in his character was pointing this way from the start.

14. Ebod says:

I dunno, compared to the manga, I’d say both had its strong points and weak points. It went on longer in the manga so it felt better paced and the emotional part at the end was freaking EPIC, but the anime definitely did a bang up job of it, even though the part where Ed pulls out the metal screw in his arm was ridiculous (in the manga, he uses alchemy so it’s not quite so “I AM SO STRONG FROM RAGE I CAN RIP METAL OFF CEMENT WITH AN ARM I JUST GOT BACK”).

15. daniel says:

@Ebod
    Well, it is much more bad-ass that way!
    The whole scene was awesome! I’m looking forward to the next final episodes!

16. Hunter-Wolf says:

Wow .. this episode was a blast … damn epic .. and Bones really aren’t holding back on the budget here ^_^

And i did read the manga before and i think the episode does justice to the source material and even exceeds it in many points specially when Edward attacks Father with all his might (the only part that felt downgraded is Roy’s flame attacks .. they felt way more powerful in the manga).

And regarding The whole truth/trade thing … Edward payed his leg for the truth he saw … and his arm for getting his brother’s soul back from the gate .. and in turn Al paid his whole body for the truth he saw (and maybe that’s what made him lose his memory of what he saw there at first) .. and human alchemy is the trigger for all that and for getting to the gate of truth .. that’s my understanding of the whole truth/trade thing.

And psgels .. i don’t want to spoil things for you .. but the concept of “God” in brotherhood is not what you think .. it’s a little early to try and understand it .. at this point your idea of it is just like “father”‘s idea .. and it was one of the reasons of his downfall (hope i’m not giving away too much) .. read about Pantheism and then watch the 2nd episode again (the part when Ed meets the truth for the first time) and you will get a better idea about it (it will be “partly” explained in later episodes but just in case it isn’t clear enough)

17. UmbrellaMan says:

Epicness!!! But, I have a concern. We know Ed got his arm back, but it got attached OVER the exsisting mechanics that attached his arm. You can still see some of the metal where his real arm meets his shoulder. That just seems weird and painful. o.O (How would the nerves and muscles reattach through the metal??)

Still loved every minute of it though. Especially since they didn’t fall into the cliche of “I must defeat the bad guy all on my own even though there are like 5 people here who are as strong and could totally help me do this faster and with less pain”. It was a definite group effort. ;)

18. Hana says:

@ UmbrellaMan

They didn’t show it in this episode (another reason it isn’t as good as the source material) but the parts of Ed’s auotmail port broke away when he got his arm back. The parts you see are because little bits of the port are still embedded in his skin (yeah ouch) and the bolts and screws in his collarbone are still there because they were attached to what was still flesh when he had the automail. But his arm didn’t get attached over the whole port. Most of it broke away.

19. Sacchi says:

I have a better question. If May was in position to help Al, why wasn’t she able to attack Father and protect Ed?

20. Hana says:

Because they are TELLING A STORY. Look, if anyone had helped Ed at the moment (and most of them were not in a position to do so (except possibly May)) so if May had helped Ed, or anyone, Father would have easily attacked them and Ed would still be imbolized without an arm and Father could theortically defeat who ever was helping and then still take Ed’s soul. And even if the person helping out was holding thier own against Father Ed would still be without an arm, trapped against a slab of rock, unable to do much of anyting. Even if someone had pulled the cord out he’d still be without an arm, without alchemy, and basically useless.

BUT, if you went the way the story did….Al was about to die (if you didn’t realize his blood seal as cracking – anime didn’t show it for some stupid reason) so Al was able to keep himself from dieing, as well as get his brother back his arm. So Al has his body and soul reunited, Ed has his arm back, and Ed can now break free, use alchemy, help defeat the villian.

Like I said, a story is being told here, and the best course of action story-wise was exactly what happened. It was brilliant even. And all you goddamned nitpickers who think it’s stupid need to shut the hell up because any other solution wouldn’t have moved the story forward in any worthwhile direction.

21. UmbrellaMan says:

@Hana

Thanks for clearing the whole automail/arm thing up. Makes much more sense now. ;)

22. moo? says:

@UmbrellaMan

troll

23. Reltair says:

This episode was epic with everyone trying to take down Father. It was almost like a raid encounter. :3

24. Bobby says:

Ranfan, ebod,

i agree to some extent with what you both said in terms of “it wasn’t as well-executed as in the manga”. i think a lot of that is due to sheer pacing in having to cram so much stuff into so little time. plus like ppl said they changed a few things (like ed ripping out the screw as opposing to destroying it, al’s seal not shown cracked, etc.)

but some of the battling literally had my mouth open at some points because they did a great job for the most part in giving you a sense of the all-out, now-or-never assault against this insanely powerful person.

i think for much of the climactic eps from 50 on up (and this is MY opinion), except for maybe the Mustang/Envy eps my immediate feeling after watching was “this was pretty good BUT…” in the sense that i was somewhat disappointed in terms of what i expected going in. (particularly with Wrath’s reappearance/showdown, though it was still really, really good) not saying that the episodes were bad, just that the manga (and the way it played out in the manga) was so GOOD.

finally i think everybody as they read the manga has/had their own idea/vision of how the anime would adapt that particular part of the manga material. if what you saw equaled or surpassed your personal vision, then you’re satisfied. if not, then there’s a little disappointment.

so manga > brotherhood IMHO but both are still EPIC

25. Placinta says:

@Reltair I was thinking about the same thing. It’s like one huge party raiding. =]

26. crunchy says:

So after seeing al talking to truth (who still has ed’s arm and leg) I realized that maybe truth is different for everyone and that father didn’t absorb god but more likely he absorbed his truth. That would also kinda explain why father can still be beaten as someone who “can absorb god” should be unstopable, regardless of the counter-circle hohenhiem created.

27. Shad_Phoenix says:

@crunchy You’re thinking of God as if it was omnipotent. This is more like a pantheon, everything has a God and they are not all powerful. Father summoned the God of the planet and absorbed it, that’s what the giant seal and eclipse was for.

@Lenlo: you know it when you see it. At first I didn't believe they jumped the shark, but based on the events after that twist, yep it has settled for something much cheaper imo.
For Bahamut, im still enjoying it and we have another cour to go. I think it, and the first Bahamut, are good shows. For Kado, im only on ep 4 so im very curious what shark gets jumped
I think given the pace I'll watch 1-2 or 2-3 episodes of re creators instead of once a week.
In the end Bahamut suffered the same fate as the first one, I could never call it a bad show, I just never ended up feeling it.
I've given my thoughts on tsuki ga kirei before on here but I'll add by saying that I never expected it and uchouten 2 (despite the weak wrap up I liked the lead up) to be my favourite of the season.
About five years ago or so could have seen myself really having been in the mood for LWA.
I wasn't as impressed with Uchoutens finale as Mario was,I found myself more annoyed by how clumsily done it all was.
For me kado jumped the shark with its latest direction and Aidans review along with flicking through this weeks episode kind of confirms I'm done with the show. A show I was initially unsure of but thought might become something.
@Anon, Yeah....at least LWA's finale was pretty good and I think there's a possibility of a second season. With the Criox/Chariot plot line out of the way I say they could really bank on it's potential. Even if they don't, this series was still quite enjoyable.
Man I couldn't agree more with Aidan about LWA and Kado. I still like and enjoy Kado but damn it could have been so much more.
Ntr trap appears to be a non-seinen/shounen yuri manga given its publication magazine.
Not all people work as fast, but that's what companies expect nowadays. Which is why CGI is preferred over practical effects. Or even why anime has used more 3D that painted backgrounds, cars or other props that take time and work to be drawn.
No. I get deadlines are tough. Companies and customers want everything made as fast as humanly possible, yet reality is that making things good takes time and money. I wouldn't be surprised that's why Berserk comes out every 6 months, the art is too detailed and the story is slow paced. Yet the anime was planned to be made in a year or two so it's evident either way, crunch is expected.
I think you misunderstood what he meant when he said the industry was a mess. Mangaka routinely work themselves into a hospital because of the demanding schedule
Then there's the franchise appeal. Which inherently gains something because of persistence, awareness and name. It is hard when great visual effort is mainly put in things that are guaranteed to be a hit, because original stuff tend to make mistakes to find their own identity. Which in itself makes them very risky affairs.
It's also a heavy flaw of the internet, having mainly binary opinions of good or bad. Which makes it hard to tell if you'll like something in the 7s like Nier or Alien 3 (might not be a 7 but opinions make it sound like it is). Divisive products that may or not may suit one's tastes.
Personally I think the issue has become what suits your tastes, what are you willing to give a chance and what hits beyond the medium it is presented.
@AidanAK47 "Manga in general is great but Jesus Christ the industry is a mess". - I mean, movies, games, and other entertainment have the same issue, since everyone has a big slice of the pie, yet there are like a million things competing for one's attention.
On that note, apart from the 3 shows I'n currently covering (Eccentric Family, Tsuki ga Kirei and ID-0), I will give a full review on Grimoire of Zero, a show that I feel rather difficult to pinpoint exactly on its quality.
Can't believe we approaching the final week of this current season. Gonna be a busy week of blogging with the usual weekly posts plus the final impressions.
@Anon1206174: I agree with you on both counts. And Sakura Quest has never been bad, but it could have been deeper and less messy. If you plan to watch ID-0 (I suggest you do), don't get your expectation too high because it works much better when you expect nothing of it. Like each episode I was genuinely surprised how good ID-0 actually is.
I remember one of Aidan's visual novel posts where he said theres potentially hundreds of VNs un-translated and LNs too, makes me wonder just how much un-translated manga we are missing out on.
Anonymous1206174
The ID-o posts sound pretty interesting, I am really thinking of dropping Sakura and watching this instead. Really loved the beginnign of Sakura and that abandoned town atmosphere it had, but I am not feeling it anymore. The recent episode about Shiori was great again though..
*looking
Then again he's an extremely forgetable person.
Oh Godammit, looing back over my comments I meant to say Souta not Setsuna, I suck at remembering non-English names.
Anonymous1205999
Meh - I really like this season but I already have my first cases of 'good-show-disappointing-ending/second half'
Anonymous1206022
KT Here:RE:Creators , we need to know more about the rules for Altair to see if that works. It might, and it might not. With what they know they have a good plan. But I was thinking why not just do a Super Smash Bros type game with the characters? I am sure that would generate enough stuff in order to lock her.
On Re:Creators, I find a better solution instead of going all cross-media like the show suggests. Someone could just make some fan-fiction on Altair that purposely show her weakness (like get busted when expose to the sun, or the magic word that render her skills useless). Less efforts, more effective
Man, I agree wholeheartedly with what KT said here: mass media actually sells, so it keeps the industry to a more stable position; then the art-house/more adult oriented anime can have some freedom to do what they like.
I think its more that I have to read it all at the same time as expecting action to come , it might change my mind if I watched it in English.
Anonymous1205580
KT here: I accept the mass media because it raises the funds for the less mainstream stuff I like. That is how I make my peace.

On RE:Creators. I get what you guys say. But for some reason I do not find the exposition heavy in this series. Every person has his own limit I guess
Alonaria
@Kaiser: Yep, that sounds about right, lol. I take my Sheldon in concentrated doses. I might give the Young Sheldon spin off an episode or two because it's highly exaggerated but still somewhat relatable to me.
I feel big bang theory is a show for people who know nothing about nerds/nerd culture to find funny.
And then theres this thing about Sheldon being some kind of autism spectrum thing , which is kind of annoying to hear when I am on the spectrum myself and never really found the character all that amusing.
Probably not the strongest reason to go off a show but, it was people around me going on and on about big bang theory that eventually put me off it.
lol is it any surprise Miura and the hunter x hunter guy take so many breaks =P
Alonaria
*Sheldon
Alonaria
I pick and choose Big Bang episodes that I enjoy. Shelden in the ball pit never ceases to amuse me. Still, it's definitely overrated haha.
IT Crowd > Modern Big Bang. Early Big Bang was good.

And yes, the work conditions in the Manga Industry are terrible. Oda, One Piece Mangaka, works stupid hours. He requests his assistances be "Willing to die for One Piece" because of the amount of work.
And hell yeah"! someone else thats hates on big bang theory.
IT crowd > big bang.
*more safer
And yet now here I am at same time, I think it might be kind of a shame that I can't see the value and fun anymore in some less safer offerings.
I thinking I might go insane if I looked up comments defending the visuals in occultic; nine.
Hate to say it but sometimes opinions, mainstream ones are actually wrong. Its a fact that superhero films have bad action scenes and cinematography and Hardboiled, a chinese action film is better filmed in terms of choreography.
As dickish as this is to say, I really do recoil when ssomeone says something like the Notebook or fifty shades is the best film of all time/their favourite.
See theres also factoring in the people whos favourite film or anime of all is the most recent they finished.
I remember mentioning recently that I was re-watching the twilight zone, the response I got was "I thought that you were talking about twilight"
See thats whats so great about being able to talk about more niche stuff online, theres an easier to find common ground.
In general when it comes to mass popular opinion it's the tried and true safe stuff that ends up selling. The highest selling Mario games are the New Super Mario ones. The same generic Light novel and harems keep selling. There are plenty of examples but majority opinion tends to gravitate to the safe and familiar.
See, most (offline) people (and or teenagers)who aren't really all that interested in film or don't look into it that much will turn out for things like fifty shades, transformers or twilight, thats why those are popular. Most people aren't going to watch something made more than a few years ago or subtitled.
Oh...lol fuck thats a blunder...yes I meant Re:creators.
But by all means, people are fully entitled to like what they like. But there is a reason why so much rubbish gets popular.
@Kaiser, Re:Creators.
As someone who would actually consider themselves creative and interested in things being imaginative I really do hate the whole anti-creativity /anti-art, anti-intelligence movement and way of thinking that allows un-deservedly popular things like what Aidan mentioned to fester.
Yes Re:zero's poor pacing and leaden dialogue is becoming too dominant and there should be more action, its good Setsuna opened up, but I still don't particularly like him.
I imagine the magazines/editors probably consider themselves the writers sometimes.
Pretty sure I only read nisekoi because I was keeping up with conversations about it, then dropped it before the Chitoge doublie showed up, just stopped reading.
On the matter of Re:Creators, I feel the same as the Anon said. I find the exposition to just drone on far too much.
On the matter of the manga industry being shit...it is. Manga in general is great but Jesus Christ the industry is a mess. Work conditions are utterly abhorrent and it's even worse that most series live or die based on a magazine popularity poll.
Because just because something is popular, does not mean it is quality. Example: Transformers, Twilight, Fifty shades, Sword Art Online, Big Bang theory
@Anon, Still not getting your logic here. I mean if I have a problem with it after trying it then why am I not allowed to complain about it? Anyway it is only popular for the pandering. Even those who like Nisekoi admit that it's a mediocre harem and they mainly enjoy the waifu wars on the internet.
and now we will resort to illegal streaming sites for this one. "Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem", this f*cking true
Huh? Welcome to the Ballroom Anime Gets Amazon Prime-Only Streaming Inside and Outside Japan. Now that just unbearable
Don't know about this new Re:Creators episode since I haven't watched it, but I don't really mind Meteora. Her dialogues scream "exposition" but she still fits well to the story. The fights are good, I agree, but why didn't they go all the way with the world's collapse last episode?
Anonymous1202407
Whether Nisekoi is pandering or not, it is not enough proof for you to suggest that manga industry is shit. If u want good mainstream then its not that hard to find. Also for every success like Nisekoi which u claim to be pandering, there are dozen like it that failed to be popular. Why? Because it clearly is popular for a reason other than just simple pandering.
Ha, Ping Pong. I need that kind of show again in my life.
Also, Ping Pong is amazing.
Theres a difference between pandering to a large audience, and an anime/manga with a quality story that everyone ends up liking. Ive always found moe shows and things like Nisekoi to be the former.
Anonymous1202407
If you have a problem with it after trying it just dont read it. Its that simple. Also what a surprise that a show like nisekoi that appeals to a large demographic is popular. U want the mangaka to apologize it's not some art house story like Ping Pong?
Meteora is pretty hit or miss with her dialogue imo. Sometimes its great, othertimes its not. I can say though I enjoy most of the fights.
Anonymous1202113
I really want to like Re:Creators. To be honest though, I'm getting tired of the dialogue. It has its high points, but it sometimes just seems to drone on and on, especially with all of Meteora's "hypotheses."
KT
Both Bahamut and RE:Creators had great episodes. But I was indeed mentally screaming Super Smash Bros at RE:Creators. You will get the point when you watch the episode.
Taken on it's own, Nisekoi is harmless. But it is undeniably proof that you need not be creative or innovative to succeed in the industry. In fact declaring creative bankruptcy could turn more fruitful than genuine effort.
And I said how can you decide you don't like something if you haven't read it?
Of course you are likely mean that if you don't like something then give up on reading it further which of course does not mean that someone cannot complain about it regardless.
Anonymous1198985
No, Im said if you dont like nisekoi dont read it
@Anon, How do you know you don't like it if you don't read it?
Anonymous1196967
Don't like it don't read it.
I went and read Double Arts. This really was a great manga with tons of potentail and truly didn't deserve the axe. It's so depressing that this was cut off so soon and the author went on to make the most generic Harem ever Nisekoi, and that got over 200 chapters.
All of the important dance scenes for Yuri were fantastic, its just some minor one off characters and some reused ones that were an issue, so no they are better than the CGI
Anonymous1190387
Is it worse than those CGI dance scenes in some anime?
@Puran, It is pretty surprising how well that story turns out. I say IG might do the job even if there animation isn't the most consistent. The one thing I am worried about is those necks though. In the PV those things were ridiculously long.
Puran
Fair enough, recycling the animation was bad, agreed. But the animation itself was really good.
See, I found the repeated dances in Yuri one of the worse parts. Alot of it was recycled animation and certain characters were obviously rushed/not done. Some were amazing, cause they took their time, but others looked terrible.
Puran
I kinda wish Mappa was doing the anime though. Yuri on Ice had really nicely animated dances (and was more or less the only actually good quality of that show :P )
Puran
Reading the Ballroom e Youkoso manga has made me really excited about the Anime.
Kaiser_Eoghan
@Aidan: I'm particularly turned off by bully/bullying cliches these days. I've only read the first two volumes to see how awful she was but I ended up simply losing track of the series and stopped reading.
Kaiser_Eoghan
@Mario: Actually that has changed, I had to pick a different day to see it given changes in schedule, I've booked it for NEXT Wednesday now. I've watched Akira about four times.
Oh, Rising of the Shield Hero is getting an anime adaption. Hmmm...honestly after finishing the series and looking over it as a whole I am not sure I even want that. Plus seeing Bitch Animated...would fill me with rage.
I intend to re-watch Akira soon, probably this weekend. It has been almost 10 years since my first watch and now I don't remember much about that one. Thought it was intriguing and complex but not as acclaimed as people hyped it to be (I'll pick Ghost in the Shell anytime). Wonder how I'd feel now after re-watching it.
@Kaiser: I remember you mentioned that you were going to watch In this Corner of the World today right? How was the movie Kaiser?
Oh cool, food wars is getting a 3rd season
Ballroom youkoso appears to be leading the polls.
@Mario: Fumiko is a female mangaka yes. Also I found bokura no hentai worth reading.
yep, I finished that manga too and I have conflicted feeling about it. Yuri(!) part and fanservice are to blatant but they have a purpose. This mangaka (not sure but I think she's a girl) has some unique voice.
....well I skimmed that manga. And it was weird
By all appearances,Sakura is normal,albeit sheltered junior high school girl who enjoy talking about love and walking home from school together.However,they also happen to inhabit a strange and supernatural world populated by mysterious,gigantic beings and unusual plant and animal life.Amid their peaceful lives,Sakura becomes very interested in something only alluded to exist in old books: dicks
Here's a synopsis of other manga from the same author, I think you'll have a better idea of his theme -
Sakura no Sono
Pretty much what Masky said. I am not really praising it. Anyway I plan to read one or two more chapters to see where it's going. But if it's going in the direction I think it's going then I am dropping this one fast.
Kaiser_Eoghan
There is of course the underlying concern that it will go a very ugly route with that development or it could become edgy/horribly minipulative, but for now it is as mario said, a hook.
Well. overall I don't dislike what I read there. It has good hook and I'm intrigued to know more what the hell will happen. Good set-up for me. I'm in
@Masky: it's fine Masky, since I will chec itk out any way and see it for myself ^^
So since you guys started being interested, I checked it out and uh.. Yeah, not reading. I think ye guys misunderstood Aidans warnings since that was just fucked up and not in the interesting way.
@Aidan: Berserk will never again go more than 3-4 months without a hiatus.
Hmmm, that manga Cutie Mutie sounds good to me. I might check it out later today
@Aidan: But had you not alluded to that scene, I may have seen the cover of that manga and skipped over it.
@Aidan: I had a feeling, sort of, sad, I am intrigued to read more.
Hyping and warning are not the same thing.
Well with Aidan hyping up the horrors of cutie mutie I may as well glance at it to see what he' on about.
There are three manga with the name rec.
I am familiar with the artist for cutie mutie, she did that manga about the three kids dealing with gender/orientation issues.
Oh look Berserk is on Haitus again....
.....the sad thing is that it comes as expected now.
For reference the two I read were Cutie Mutie and Rec. Be warned, the first one goes to a rather uncomfortable level.
@Masky, Read two manga. One started lighthearted and then went to really dark territory. The other one looks like it's about a really dark subject but turned out to be something more lighthearted.
@Mario, Alright. Tested it now so it such be fixed. Try again.
@Aidan: Huh? What you read that turned dark/didn't turn dark? .-.
"too many answers selected for question 1! only 3 answers allowed!"
@Aidan: I still have the same issues. Weird
@Mario, Wasn't my intent. Try it now and you should be able to pick as many as you want.
@Aidan: I'm not allowed to vote more than 3 votes. Is it your intention Aidan?
Well that was weird. I read something that looked innocent but turned out to be really dark. Then something that looked really dark only to become innocent.
Yeah, nothing that interests me I see :D Like my strongest reaction to season preview was "Someone made isekai with smartphone? Really? REALLY? Thats best idea you had"
Ah Knighs and Magic, found that manga. It was boring enough for me to forget its name. Also besides being boring, I kinda find MC unlikeable since their only personality is that they like mechas and were a programmer before renicarnating as short bishie kid
Woo, time to vote stuff
@Kaiser: that movie In this Corner just getting more and more acclaimed huh? Thou I think it'a a type of movie that if you have high expectation for it you will likely be disappointed. It works best as a sleeper hit
As for cute monster girls, most of the time I don't find them cute at all. I know I'm being racist, but...
@Lenlo: I'm guilty with that cute girls genre, as i enjoyed K-On tremedously for example. Or If I have more time I'd follow Hinako Note this season ^^
They don't always adapt all that well or work as well outside of manga format, especially 4-komas.
*three
The only two of any interest were hidamari sketch, azumanga daioh and yuru yuri and that was largely down to being in the mood for them a few years ago.
@Mario: Personally, I have 0 interest in this Monster girls doing cute things subgenre, just like I have very little interest in the cute girls doing cute things major genre.
@Mario: As it turns out I DID read in this corner of the world. I'll also be seeing it next thursday.
@Kaiser: at this moment I'm very skeptical with the whole Monster girls doing cute girl subgenre, so I'm approachig Centaur with a caution. Of course, it all depends on how I feel after the first episode
@Kaiser: Happy End isn't as bleak aa his other works. But it's certainly Hanake's films, as it explores many of his favorite themes: the voyeurist of camera in his Benny's video, the detachment to the world and the underlying violence. Not his best thou but it's still very good
I think I'd be up for watching jigoku shojo, its been a long time since I watched the original two seasons and this one won't be as long, so it won't get as repetitive.
I voted centaur no nanami on the poll, think Mario could cover it.
@Mario: How did did you get on with Happy end? I heard its like a mix of his best works. Is it as dark and depressing?
I have vague memories of in the corner of the worlds manga, unless I'm mixing it up with something else.
Some news, Lu Over the Wall won the best prize at this year's Annecy (the 1st anime won the award since 1995's Pom Poko), with In the Corner of the World took the Jury Prize. Quite a good showing for anime this year.
@Anon, Hello.
Really, still no vote for Kakegurui?? I thought it would take the top poll for sure
That 18if, even the poster doesn't make much sense, but it looks dazzling ^^
go-go licensed products!
@Lenlo: and Madhouse is the studio behind that Marvel rip-off. Are they really going that low for profits?
Lookin forward to Kakeguri next season, but thats the only thing thats really caught my eye
Well, you have to watch Marvel next season right?
And done. I swear these previews take a lot out of me.
Almost done....almost done...
KT
Attack of Titan, ended ok. But man the production values had gone down.

Virgin Soul had a okish episde

Re:Creators continues to rock for me.
@Mario: I liked the 70s version ending, it was mean spirited =P

Uchoten Kazoku 2 – 12 [The Red String of Fate]

Oh god, this climax. Other shows, take note. This is how you SHOUD NOT do on your final battle. How this show can jump from Yasaburou, Yaichirou fighting the Fellow Friday for their lives last week, to the conflict of Soun and Tenyama (that they eventually ended up in Hell again), to end with Benten […]

Tsuki ga Kirei – 11 [An Encouragement of Learning]

Tsuki ga Kirei again manages something I thought was difficult to achieve: it surpasses itself once more time. I was afraid that after the Kawagoe festival, there isn’t much left drama for the lovebirds now that Takumi and Chinatsu are all out of the picture; turn out that not only this episode enhances their relationship […]

ID-0 – 11 [Innocent Orbit]

I must say, despite my current worry from the direction ID-0 is heading towards the climax, we have another solid episode in our hands. Here’s one of the thing ID-0 continues to prove itself to be quite adept of: their pacing never drags. All the events progress gradually, and there aren’t many unnecessary scenes, if […]

Sakura Quest – 12 [The Dawn Guild]

Sakura Quest offers a pretty much Sakura Quest-esque this week, and I come to believe that this is a strong mini-arc to close-up the first half of its run. For the Tourism Board, the Manoyama Founding Festival will become their most ambitious project in term of scope they have encountered so far. Moreover, documenting the […]

Seikaisuru Kado – 10[Towanosakiwa]

So despite my aggravation with how the last episode ended, this episode starts of strong with how the universe was created and the anisotropic beings watching over it. The whole sequence was great and beautifully alien. That half of the episode explaining how Saraka ended up on end was actually very strong and despite the […]

Uchoten Kazoku 2 – 11 [The Blood of the Tengu, the Blood of the Fool]

The Eccentric Family again takes some solid steps to its final showdown. But let me address this first because I’m sure no one really see it coming. Soun comes back to life. A fake-out death? Seriously? Using fake-out death ALWAYS comes with a price, which is all the emotional investment we had for the death […]

Re:Creators – 11 [The Monster Under the Eaves]

Not surprising that this was a more subdued episode since the events of last week landed two and a half creations in the hospital. Given their bed-ridden state, Re:Creators takes it time in developing some new deep and profound ideas about creating works and resolves the quagmire that Sōta finds himself in the last few […]

Little Witch Academia – 24[The Road to Arcturus]

Hmmm….mixed feelings. There are parts I like about this episode but then there is this underwhelming feeling over how things have turned out. In general I like that the epicly named world reconstruction magic turned out to be just a stick that performs party tricks. Thinking about it it’s likely the decline of magic is […]

Shingeki no Kyojin(Attack on Titan) – 37[Scream]

I was all geared up to write up a post that this season of attack on Titan was mere lip service for a third season that may never come when I seen that there is indeed a third season of Attack on Titan on the way next year. So I could voice those same complaints […]

Window Horses (2016) Movie Review – 87/100

Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon (Winter 2017) Review – 74/100

Scum’s Wish (Winter 2017) Review – 80/100

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Review – 90/100

When you have watched a large amount of anime you can come to assume that you have learned a lot about Japanese culture. Though I think it’s testament to how limited it is to view Japan through anime when you come to realize that despite watching so much, you have never heard of Rakugo. Rakugo […]

Youjo Senki Saga of Tanya the Evil Review – 80/100

Isekai stories have become somewhat of a tiresome genre as of late. There have been many stories of people being transported/reincarnated into other worlds where they shed their once pitiful exterior and become some legendary figure in another world. In most cases it’s trit, balant childish wish fulfilment and the stories often become tiresome when […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. (Winter 2017) Review – 83/100

Imagine my utmost amazement when a show that I wasn’t that confident on taking in the beginning turned out to be one of the most solid offering this season had to offer. ACCA is the most recent anime adaptation from mangaka Natsume Omo, which despite isn’t a household name, many of her works (6 titles […]

Demi-chan wa Kataritai (Winter 2017) Review – 62/100

Demi-chan is one of the newest addition to the monster girl subgenre, which usually feature a human helpless male lead get stuck in a harem of mythical creatures, in form of oversized boob girls of course (why usually those monsters are in female forms anyways? Aren’t they sexless?). In this case, we have monster girls […]

Seiren (Winter 2017) Review – 51/100

Let me say this out front, Seiren is NOT a good show, it’s a highly uneven one. Throughout its run, I can see some solid moments and fresh ideas that could potentially raise it above the bar, but ultimately, view it as a whole, Seiren is a show that isn’t worth recommending. At first, I’m […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100