Posted by psgels on 25 June 2010 with categories: Angel Beats

Well, what do you know? The creators actually did it. Talk about an awesome ending here, they really surprised me with the direction they went in, and yet it’s typical Key. It’s an episode that’s sentimental as heck, but it fits perfectly as an ending. It really shows that the creators were building up entirely for this episode, and had very much in mind how they wanted to end the series right from the start.

I really like how the creators used the time in which Yurippe was out cold in order to vanish all of the other characters: at this point, everyone has pretty much reached the point in which they fully understand the situation, and any sort of conflict is pretty much gone now. With this episode, we just have five characters remaining, mostly because Otonashi wanted Yurippe to have a smooth exit. It was far less dramatic than I expected, and I really want to thank the creators for that: Yurippe’s background was already way too angsty. Having her just accept the situation she’s in without trying to relate it back to that experience is a great way for her to go.

The entire first half was just one huge chunk of sentiment that worked surprisingly well. After everyone was gone except for Kanade and Otonashi however, the creators decided to pull THE final twist. Should’ve seen it coming, it was a bit cheesy, but who cares. It really fitted as a heart-warming climax to the series that was down to earth at the same time. As confusing as the series was, I love how this entire episode was so incredibly down to earth, without trying any twists beyond the mere necessary.

In fact, this entire season has excellent endings. I’ve yet to see one bad or disappointing ending out of all of the shows that have ended so far, and it really doesn’t look like there’s going to be any change in this considering the series that have yet to end. It’s definitely one of the pluses of the past spring season. The big minus of the spring season unfortunately was that there were just too many series that were too short. Really, Angel Beats should have been 26 episodes. I really believe that anime should find some sort of model again that would encourage for a bit more longer series. But that’s a topic that’s been beaten to death by now.

The only thing that I didn’t like about this episode was the epilogue. Really, that was just unnecessary and felt like it was tacked on at the very end by someone who didn’t know what he was talking about. The climax of the show ended really ambiguously: you really had no idea what happened to these people, and that really was left up to your imagination. That epilogue felt like “yeah they reincarnated and got back together, bye.”
Rating: *** (Awesome)

1. Duo says:

I cannot describe my feeling after finished watching it…u see…that’s a big plot hole if u thought about it: if Kanade was Otonashi’s heart receiver, she couldn’t be in the After Life School (ALS) long before Otonashi, could she? How could she be possibly died before Otonashi if she was gonna receive the heart from him?

In the end, I can only assume in fact everyone in ALS were in coma since no one ever mentioned how did they die (except Hinata and Otonashi were pretty much gone)…hrm…so either in coma or died. and when they disappeared actually means they woke up or were reborn in the real world.

And about the epilogue…it’s Key after all, and so miracle, miracle and miracle~

I think this series really give people “hating or loving” impression since it made no sense from time to time and the plot is entirely out of expectation. I personally like this series for trying so many original ideas but I won’t recommend it to hardcore anime or non-Key fan as you will need a lot of imagination to catch the ending and a sense of reality just won’t do.

2. Aldonaris. says:

Awesome??? Pffffff !!
    Man, you smoke some quality herbs, don´t you ?

3. Topspin says:

I can see the appeal, but it was way too contrived for me. I couldn’t suspend my disbelief at all (and lord how I tried). I wanted to like it, but was just too cheesy for my tastes. I’m just too old and jaded, I guess. If it wasn’t one of the shows my roommates and I watched together this season, I’d have rather watched Rainbow.

For a series about a girl wanting to thank her deceased organ donor, it really went on some wild and pointless tangents. I could have enjoyed it as a one-shot manga/OVA, but this was just over-extended beyond the breaking point.

I honestly couldn’t care less about the characters, except perhaps Otonashi (because he had some character development, albeit over-engineered). I felt like I was just “supposed to care” about things if given some dramatic effects and music. I’m too jaded for that.

4. goldconker says:

The only thing we can make out from the heart donor situation is that either:

1. People might not show up in the Angel Beats! world immediately.
    2. Time in the Angel Beats! world isn’t linked to real world time.

Angel Beats! has been a wild and entertaining ride (and the soundtrack was amazing). The last couple episodes were a bit of a mess though. I feel like the shadows were just thrown in as a contrived way to get rid of everyone. I think it really could have benefited from more episodes to flesh things out, especially the pattern of every episode getting a new villain and then the series going in a different direction.

I’m really hoping for either a second season or OVAs to animate Track Zero, or a 22-26 episode remake of the series.

I liked the ending a lot although there were still a lot of loose ends I would have liked to see tied up. Also, if they were going to do the reincarnation with future meeting ending, I wanted to see shots of how the main characters of the SSS were doing, not an uncertain flash of just Otonashi and Kanade.

5. Anonymous says:

Don’t forget, Otonashi is a bug. A bug does not conform to normal expectations (its a bug).

So the time difference may simply be the effect of the bug

6. sliver says:

Personally, I liked the epilogue. I was sort of confused at the point where Kanade disappears as it was like, “So does Otonashi disappear or not?” Sure, with the ambiguous ending, that could leave an opening for a sequel but I like how they just tie that up.

7. Puran says:

I was a bit disappointed they didn’t bother to explain anything about what that place was. I can understand a vague afterlife concept where souls are in limbo, but what were all those computer-related things for? I guess it’s besides the point, but I was intrigued by those, let’s say sci-fi, elements and was disappointed we didn’t get any closure for those things.

Were they just a stylistic choice and that’s it? Could they have been replaced by say afterlife-magic with spells and such and nothing would be different?

8. Bruce says:

Without the epilogue, though, the series would have ended on such a somber note, and I think that would have completely undone the series’ entire message.

I agree that its sorta annoying though.

9. Inu says:

I personally liked the ending, it may not have tied everything into one conclusive knot but it closed the series and definitely did not leave Otonashi behind so they could do a prequels.

I don’t think AB should have or could have explained about its world though. Everything was ambiguous and really, it’s god’s little sandbox, the thinking is left to whoever playing with it.

The Angel Software does feel like a plot device to make things interesting though.

10. Watcherzero says:

Its a world that could be reused, though I think a remake would have a hard time living upto the production values of this.

yeah they went for the Lost ending, an afterlife outside time, but you could tell that by the hinting yurippe had been there for decades if not a century or more but there was no differing temporal origin of the charachters.

Overall I will remember this series for its charachter designs, amazing music and to a lesser degree imaginative setting, if not for its individual episodes.

11. Rick says:

Actually it’s stated in a earlier episode that Otonashi wandered around in a amnesiac state before wandering into that world Yurippe was in.

For all we know, he coulda been a npc that suddenly changed ala Stalker lover black haired dude.

Look at Riverworld.. It doesn’t matter when you die, sometimes you can appear the same time as someone who died years earlier or later.

Whose to say Otonashi isn’t the original designer who went mad? Maybe he wanted to see his sister again in this afterlife world.

In fact, I think Otonashi was the one who made that place and after going mad, just wandered around amnesiac. I think Otonashi woulda given anything to have his sister back.

Then finally he decides to pass on because nothing is left. No Kanade and thus we have the
    reincarnation.

Lots of stories have love bypassing time and space.

12. 109 says:

I completely agree about that last scene. For me, the point where everything all comes together is after Kanade disappears, and I’m just wondering whether Otonashi disappears or stays. Then that gorgeous closing song, and all the characters, I was repeating each one’s name to myself as they vanished from the closing sequence, until at last there was Otonashi left with that amazing song still playing, and I was hoping to myself that he’d vanish and not be left behind. When he vanished, I understood that he’d left that world, and I was content. So what was that extra scene doing at the end? It made the emotional impact of the ending a little less powerful for me.

13. m says:

The progression of time doesn’t have to be parallel between the worlds, and there’s no telling where Otonashi was before he arrived there anyway. If you open the door for magic, be prepared for things to break your intuition. Just think of all of the crazy things religions accumulate.

I would also resist accepting anything the characters tell you about the reality they exist in as canon, for the same reason you wouldn’t use random people on the street to learn physics. They don’t know. So when they claim that they’re mistakes, that other characters have been lost forever, this-or-that person is an agent of god, or that the world works in this-or-that way, just take that as their understanding of the situation, subject to change at any time.

The stuff in the world they exist in comes from the minds of the people that arrive there. The computers, the guns, and maybe even the setting of the high school can be seen as ideas that the dead brought with them from the lives they lived. They accept it because it meets their expectations. Maybe with the right frame of mind and conviction they would have flying saucers and yeti roaming about.

I thought the epilogue was alright. It was also nice to see Kanade appear with the group in the ending too. I don’t need to bring my own interpretation of where they end up, so if the author offers something up I’ll take it. For a vaguer setting there’s always Haibane Renmei.

14. Mizst says:

IMO, the extra scene at the end is important to signify that this is not only the end, but also a new beginning. If the anime ended with only Otonashi disappearing in the ED, it’d feel too much like everything ended. The author wanted to convey this “new beginning” feeling, hence the extra scene. This was the point that, IMO, got lost in Haibane Renmei, and this anime tried to do something about it.

15. hai says:

I just didn’t like how Otonashi confessed to Kanade :/ It just felt so out of place and kind of crack. Had their relationship been more developed, I would have been fine with the ending but I was seriously surprised when Otonashi confessed. I would have liked the ending so much more had they just exchanged words, revealed Kanade’s story, and just both disappeared as friends.

In my opinion, the epilogue was very unnecessary. Sure, the episode ended on a rather bitter note but the ending song (which shows Otonashi disappearing) symbolizes that he probably left after understanding that his old body was really able to help someone live.

I really just can’t get over how that love for Kanade popped out of nowhere =___= I didn’t think Angel Beats! would do any major coupling and if they did, it would’ve been between Otonashi and Yuri (Hinata and Yui had a cute thing too, but it was also kind of crack).

In short, this series was pretty great. It felt rushed towards the end with Naoi suddenly appearing and with the computer virus things eating the characters but it was original and had an ending that tied the story together (I really like how they use the pasts and tie it back into the story, not just ‘I have a tragic/angsty past woe is me’) It could have been much better had the series been longer and better thought out but meh, I’m satisfied, I guess.

16. m says:

Yuzuru’s interest in Kanade is pretty obvious, it just takes different forms at different points. In the beginning he is intrigued by her, and while everyone else is contemplating how to defeat Tenshi he’s usually staring at her, and looking to understand her. His interest here is superficial, like most romantic interests begin.
    After they knock Kanade from her position as student council president and he inadvertently steals her spicy tofu ticket, Yuzuru’s interest in Kanade moves toward the sympathetic. He realizes that they have isolated her, and even though she’s supposed to be their enemy, his empathy leads him to try to get closer to her and become her friend.
    After he tries to get her into his group of friends and she’s overtaken by Yuri’s bungling, he’s the one holding her in his arms calling her name. He then proceeds to wait by her side in the infirmary. He’s clearly quite interested in her by now.
    After she wakes up they begin to scheme of ways to help others let go of their regrets. He realizes that she’s human and they spend time together. As normal a bonding experience as one can expect in the world they’re in.
    Even Hinata knows that Yuzuru likes Kanade, which you can see when they’re talking about which of them will leave first.
    In the end, Yuzuru’s confession could be seen either as him being honest with his feelings that he’s been harboring or a last attachment to cling to his past life. I think it was obvious that it was the former, because I think they’ve been hinting at his interest in her from the start. The epilogue leaves out the ambiguity.

There are a few issues people have with story relationships. One, people tend to expect unrealistic levels of romance in fiction, making love some kind of weird superlative. Two, people–shippers especially–will deny relationships they just don’t like. You could see this in Toradora, for example, when people were like, “OMG, where did this relationship between Ryuuji and Taiga come from?” Sometimes a story will keep relationships really ambiguous to milk franchise for a long time, but other times the hints are pretty much clubbing you in the face.
    In Angel Beats!, where everything transpires at too quick a pace, the sort of hard-earned love of Tomoya for Nagisa just can’t fit.

For what it’s worth I thought the Yui and Hinata relationship was pretty obviously telegraphed as well. It was the typical “you get along so well” relationship between anime male/female pairs that fight. Think Keitaro/Naru from Love Hina.

17. Fiep says:

Tenshi hiding behind Yuri was too cute :-(

But Id still have liked to hear more about this world though, especially some character backgrounds.

18. Rachel says:

I cried during the graduation ceremony and straight-up bawled my eyes out at the conclusion…and I honestly don’t remember the last time I was that emotionally attached to the characters in an anime. Angel Beats is amazing.

19. Michael says:

@Miszt

I disagree with you about Haibane Renmei, but agree with you about Angel Beats. Angel Beats simply could not have ended on a horribly depressing note, it wouldn’t fit the hopeful and more comedic tone of the series.

Haibane was never comedic. It was more contemplative throughout. Furthermore, Haibane was showing much more of an existential crisis than Angel Beats. In Angel, the characters are effectively grounded. Though the don’t know why they are there, they still have their memories and know that they died in a previous life and regret their past lives. The kids in Angel are dealing with a known quantity, though certainly an emotional one. In Haibane, people are a lot less knowledgeable about WHY they are there, which leads to a completely different show.

Without spoiling the anime too much, Angel Beats is focused on accepting the past life, whereas Haibane is focused on accepting the PRESENT life and the future (if there is even one). Those are two VERY different things. And for the themes and questions Haibane is entertaining (fundamentally much more theological and intellectual than Angel Beats), I think Haibane’s ending is quite acceptable and poetic and really advances the main themes and motifs of the series.

20. Mizst says:

@Michael

I have pretty much the same thoughts about Haibane Renmei. The only point I was trying to say is that Haibane does not portray any “new beginning” feeling. So when those birds go up that altar, I got the feeling that they’re “leaving the paradise” whereas in Angel Beats when someone found peace I got the feeling that they’re “leaving the limbo to find a new life”. Haibane consistently portrays flying into the sky as imminent and desirable, just like finding peace in Angel Beats, but does not really come around to portraying that it’s actually good for them, whereas in Angel Beats they did. That’s what I mean by the point getting omitted.

IMO this doesn’t have anything to do with being comedic or philosophical, and Angel Beats also has its fair share of existential crisis. The characters were asking themselves the whole time: why was I born if I had to go through that miserable life and died accomplishing nothing?

And I’m not saying this is bad for either story. I was just saying that Angel Beats was avoiding Haibane’s version of the ending, thus they have what you see in ep 13 (since somebody else was complaining about it).

21. Ming says:

I think the whole timeline of the world isn’t what we think it is…we don’t really know when or how long it takes for a person to enter after their death. Also, from how the ending turned out, doesn’t it feel like Otonashi was the programmer of Angel Player and inventor of the Kage’s? He was a bug, he lost his love, and he was left in that world…maybe. Considering the NPC returned to PCs as Yurippe said, the programmer turned himself into a NPC, and with his feeling he got his humanity back, which made him Otonashi again.

22. elle says:

honestly one of the main reasons why i started watching Angel Beats was because of you! i really wanted to see what all the fuss was about and i’m so glad i did..so thank you for that. i completely agree with you on the ending…it was so rushed and i felt it ended too abruptly. thank you though, for introducing me to this anime :) it’s by far one of my favorites despite the rushed ending ^_^

23. amy says:

i didnt really like the epilogue. it was kinda awkward…like i was bawling at the end since i was like they might never meet each other again..and then the epilogue comes along and im like “…ok…yeahh…” it completely ruined the mood. they shouldve left it to the viewer’s imagination

@anon1039488: I find the idea of limiting excess to exclusively stream an aime is a dumb idea; because as long as people have a chance to expose to the anime they won't really care to check it out. So I detest owning the legal streaming account, but I always pay back by buying DVDs/Blurays that I liked
I watched House of Five Leaves by the same mangaka and I really enjoyed it. Nataume Ono is a pretty excelent storyteller (a bit mixed on her art-style thou)
@Kaiser: I agree that the first dew episodes of ACCA were not that engaging but the endingg neatly tied up all loose ends. I still feel Grossular's act is kind of messy (why was he under such control from Lilium? He's not that kind to be in such passive role to be honest) but other than those I don't have any real complaints.
Competition is good, but it makes it cost so much to legally watch everything. That's why a lot of people pirate I feel.
You have Crunchryoll and Funi, fine. Then there's Daisuki which is kinda random. Then Amazon, Netflix, and Hulu all have some random anime, though it seems that mainly Amazon has current series
I don't have Amazon Strike, which is like their new venture into anime I guess. There's too many streaming services to keep up with tbh
To be honest I'm pretty crap when it comes to supporting things, I don't pay for almost all the things I watch/read/play, I don't have a crunchy or amazon account, I still pirate legal streams.
@Anon: Is it a case that your country is blocked? Maybe go for a vpn? If you absolutely have to you could pirate the show...
I wanna watch Re:Creators but don't have Amazon... :( alas
I feel like I need to wait and see approach with sekaisuru Kado...this prologue phase is...long...
I wish it had been 24 episodes long though to better organize itself.
Favourite characters were Jean, Groslur and Nino.
Can’t say I cared for the goofy interactions between Jean’s workfriends though.
Yet for whatever I could say about the pacing, when the twists happen they creep up on you and the show mostly lands every one of them, even if I’m not exactly pleased that sometimes the series does the “I pulled it out of the hat/ass” approach.
I’m relatively indifferent on the art/animation.
I did feel it picks up, improves by the mid-mark and to an extent the wait is worth it and things do come together even if I wasn’t always totally confidant with how it was getting there.
Having the protagonist go from district to district to flesh out the settings a decent enough idea and the main characters a fairly chill, cool guy.
Though the dialogue does create suspicion, intrigue, it does also plod/pad in equal measure at times.
Finally decided to sit down and watch Acca.
This show had its lovers/haters I’m sure, having watched it my feelings are mixed.
It is a slight breath of fresh air I’ll give it that and makes me want to maybe re-assess of adaptations of the author’s work.
@Mario: The only assayas film I've encountered so far that I disliked was Irma Vep, even though the lead actress was great, the surrounding performances, especially by Jean-Pierre-Lenaud were awful. Sils Maria I was initially evasive of because I'd heard that the relationship between Binoche and Stewarts characters was under-unexplored.
@Kaiser: Weersathakul's films are something else entirely...Otherworldly yet still cinematic. I feel a bit underwhelmed after watching the Unknown girl. The identity of the culprit, for example, feel forced for me that take me out our their naturalistic style. I'mmin between Clouds of sils maria too, know it's a good movie but it feels pretentous at times, like the movie Youth
@Mario: I also got round to watching Unknown girl by Dardenne, it carries enough moments of their brilliance but I felt they didn’t have as much mastery over their usual pacing style this time round, for the first time it felt like a thriller that played out like a drama, rather than a drama that has a pseudo thriller feel to it.
Going to watch Clouds of sils Maria next.
@Mario: The entire second half, which I’d have watched an entire film about is very atmospheric and dreamy/esoteric nearing just exactly the kind of thing I like.
The way he uses/shoots Thailands geography along with his cinematography is impressive, particularly in that second half.
@Mario: He shoots something simple like a chopping scene in a strangely engaging way, the scene with the old woman going into the cave is also very impressively shot and that one driving scenes with that pop song in the background has an airy feel to it.
In some ways I agree that there’s a bit of sensuality to it.
@Mario: It’s the kind of film that feeling tired/relaxed when watching it isn’t a condemnation of it(although a share of moments in the first half could be patience testing), it’s the sort of film where you aren’t really aware of anything outside of watching the film when you watch it.
@Mario: I finally looked into a Weersathakul film, Tropical Malady. I don’t even know how to give a star rating for this film.
I'm still on the fence with Alice & Zouroku. Like the title suggests, the warm chemistry between those two are its strongest point, but those moments are far and few in between as the story progresses and I don't care one bit about the Red Queen storyline. I might drop this one if the story doesn't improve
@Lenlo: 3 episodes anf Berserk still hasn't grabbed me as much. Yep facial expressions are really off-putting
Man... the facial expression in Berserk for the 3D models are, ever so slowly, killing me.
Alright. Tommarrow I will get out all those posts I am late on seeing as the impressions are all finished.
SukaSuka still has me mixed. On one hand there really are some great ideas and some well executed moments. But some of the dialogue is a bit typical of a light novel and the fanservice is really shameless. The massage at the end of the episode was something the show could really do without.
Konstantinos Travlos
I am in love with RE:Creators. I have no idea if they will keep it as good, but these two first episodes did all the right things.
Alright, Easter made me lazy so it's time to play catch up.
@Puran: Or even Georgiou Nikolaidis while I'm at it, morning patrol is a great mood piece. Not familiar with the other guy.
Puran
@Kaiser: No Grammatikos recommendation? :)
I still enjoy Zero pretty much. I like the contrast between the beastfallen and Zero. The hilarious lines sound more like accidental to me, not the best product but I enjoy the ride so far
@Kaiser: agree with everything you said. Apparently Haneke put Flashmob on hold because the main actress was conflicting in her schedule, so he decided to do Happy End instead
@Aidan: Does the old man represent gritty anime of old? I don't know honestly I'm just throwing it out there.
@Mario: In case you hadn't heard, Haneke dropped the Flashmob movie and is now doing one about the refugee crisis.
@Mario: To whoever will be playing Godard in that biopic, I'd wonder if they could capture how incredibly douchey he sounds irl lol
@Mario: There is such a big divide between 50s/60s Bresson and 70s/80s Bresson.
@Mario: Lathimos and Avaranas remind me in an odd way of Tarr in that they're the only Greek filmakers people seem to talk about , Check out Koundorous and Theodorous Angelopolous' works if you can.
@Mario: Meh, I don't like that sort of overly on the nose social commentary some American films and tv shows do in recent years.
@Mario: Godards extremely hit or miss with me. Hazanavicius did the artist I think, but I'd sooner recommend Biancnieves as a stronger example of a modern take on silent cinema or maybe a Guy Maddin film.
@Mario: Lotznitza directed a gentle creature not Zvyagintsev, though the latter is a fantastic director, Leviathan's ending hit me very very hard, its gut punching and I appreciated that the return never went into too much detail regarding the father.
@Kaiser: off topic, I didn't realize Get Out having such buzz reception. It's coming here next week so I will get to watch it
@Kaiser: Michel Hazanavicius makes a biopic about Jean-Luc Godard and Anne Wiazemsky (the actress in Au Hasard Balthazard), which I think will be interesting. I considered The Lobster one of the best film out of that year so I anticipate his next movie a hell lot. Yep, I watched few movies from Andrey Zvyagintsev and he certainly is in my radar. Bleak, social commentary, technical impressive
Oh, it's confirmed that was what was actually said in Japanese. Well...that's rather cringe worthy.
@Anon, Can't say I am too fond of it myself. Though that arrow to the knee reference definitely sounds like something the translator added in.
Holy shit Zero is hilarious. "I used to be a mercenary like you once. But then I took an arrow to the knee." "My magic is super weak so I need a powerful offering. Can you loan me your head please?" The comedy is so pointed and understated.
I do like how contrasting Zelda is to Nier in the sense that. Zelda cares more about how the game plays and making the player have fun constantly but doesn't care about telling something. Nier Automata doesn't care what it throws to the player but cares a lot about it tells the things that happen to player.
I think this is a hard game to score. Mainly because IMO the combat has wear out a bit do to the repetition and the sidequests have been a mixed bag with some being relevant to the plot or themes and some being just fodder to level up. On the other hand the game has a lot of implications, subtext and symbolism that so far has been enriching to reflect upon.
@Vonter, Actually wrote up 4/5s of a review on Nier Automata but with the new season I haven't had time to finish writing the review. Though my thoughts on it are similar to yours.
Nier Automata has a 10+ hour prologue. So far the game feels like it's more interested in delivering strong emotions than a compelling narrative, not that script is poor but seems disjointed in a way, circling around the themes of existentialism, purpose and truth without overexpositing about these things. It also some moments remind me of Fragile Dreams. Like the despair.
The old man is the one I can't pin down. Been thinking he might represent the kind of anime that's critically lauded but sadly unpopular. Makes sense as he's one of the few on the opening that doesn't stand near ads for his anime. Or else he's a live action drama representative.
Been wondering about the Re:Creators characters. We got the obvious representatives from Magical girl, Mecha, Light novel and video game. The knight girl looks like clear homage to Saber from Fate so a Visual novel representive? The psycho girl looks to be a chunni anime representative. And the guy who appeared at the end of ep 2 is clearly Shounen.
@Mario: The Ramsay one sticks out as the most interesting to me as does the lathimos one. I'm curious about that Russian one about the woman looking for her imprisoned husband as I'd like to watch more contempory Russian films.
@Mario: If you can get passed the accents Ramsay did a strong piece of social realism in the 90s called Ratcatcher.
@Mario: I think the only Baumbach film I've seen is Frances Ha and I liked the new wavey feel it had. With The lobster and re-watching dogtooth I was able to get into Lathimos' pitch black humour alot more. I've never actually seen a hong-sang so film.
@Amagi, I still really enjoy it but I do get what you mean. Looking at the series overall so far it does feel like there was lost potential.
I honestly still don't know what to think of LWA. I wasn't a fan of the formularic first half but the second half doesn't really catch me either. I loved the first OVA though.
Well I will be damned. That G Koh commenter managed to predict the inclusion of Yggdrasil in Little Witch Academia. Nicely done.
@Kaiser: sadly i won't make it this year. I wanna try the Toronto International Film Fest next time whenever I have a chance
@Kaiser:you heard about this year's Cannes selection?Overall it's solid, not many that scream "masterpiece" for me.Overall I'm exciting for Hong Sang Soo's new movies (he has 2 movies screening at Cannes and 1 already aired at Berlin.What the hell),and The Killing of the Scared Deer(Yorgos Lnthimos), You were never really here (Lynne Ramsay),Okja(Bong Joon Ho) and Meyerowitz Stories(Noah Baubach)
Hmmm...just found out That Blame! 2017 is being done by a the Ajin director, not sure how I felt about that.
Think this is the best time to end the series too as the difficultly was getting to be a bit too cheap.
Lore wise it's pretty disappointing. Ending the game with an enemy that doesn't really have that much relevance. But Gameplay wise it was excellent. The final area was just beautiful.
Ringed City was a great piece of DLC and a good way to end the series imo.
Dark souls sure can give you workout. Finally got around to finishing the ringed city DLC. Funny thing is that people were raving about how hard Midir was when I didn't have that much trouble with him. Gaol gave me some trouble but I managed it. Hardest was the demon prince and god I hate multi stage boss fights. Such a goddamn pain.
Atom still waiting for suitable subs. I swear to God, for a completist like myself the wait is unbearable, especially it should've been available already
HelghastKillzone
Yes it is.
Anonymous1020539
I mean...
Anonymous1020539
Re:producers is really great
@Aidan: I can see myself chancing more of it, I kind of caught into its rhythm a bit.
Novels are actually really short. About 90 pages long per volume. They really could cover this in a single cour.
@Kaiser, SukaSuka? From what I could tell it covered the first two chapters of the light novel. Each novel has 5 chapters. Though the first and last chapter are more of a prologue and epilogue respectively.
Actually if shuumatsu's first episode is going faster than the novel, roughly how much so? Its still obviously a slow burn in animated format but how much was covered in episode 1?
Could have done without the huge infodump but otherwise still loving Re:Creators. Seeing a magical girl shocked over her own level of destructive power was great.
Eh, I liked the use of music early on in shuumatsu and theres a good mood set up early on along with a good opening scene but the later parts of the episode except maybe for the after credits bit get a shrug from me.
@Mario: Kado has made its hook, now it needs not to keep holding its cards and get going.
hmmm, don't know what to think about Kado ep2. Still good but I expected more
But really my mentality is that this site comes first. Getting more traffic and improve the site are my top priorities, then "what I wanna do for myself" comes later
@Travlos: guess you won't have to read me this season :). Haven't checked out the last episode of Kado yet but based from the first 2 episodes I think you'd enjoy that show.
Don’t worry. It’s something Aidan and me both agree on. We pretty much write for ourselves, otherwise we couldn’t have stayed this long. I get a chance to go off track once in a while to write something I wanna write.
Konstantinos Travlos
@SuperMario. I am definitely watching Shingeki no Koyjin 2, Shingeki no Bahamut 2, Re:Creators, Little Witch Academia, and probably Kado and Zero Kara. I may also do Zipang this season.
On the reaction reaction. What you say is ok. But remember, a hobby is something you do for yourself. There is a limit to how much you should care about the views of others. :)
@Lenlo: Or if I can use a quote from Chang from Black lagoon : "A fragranced shit will forever still retain the smell of shit"
As most likely the biggest Berserk fan in this chatbox, its better but that doesnt make it good. Spraying fabreeze on crap doesnt make it any more appealing. Yet I will watch it anyways.
You don't even know
Lies Aidan it is soooo much better
Tbh I'm enjoying Alice to Zouroku so much simply because I identify with the old guy's no-nonsense attitude. It's fun to see the annoying loli get put in her place. X.D
Anyway Bam is supposed to be covering it. Seeing as he covered the first season.
@Anon, I watched the first episode of the second season. Better? Yes, but only slightly.. It has all the same problems as the first season.
and nobody's covering it lol
Like dramatically
It really is much better
You know guys its not too late to start watching Berserk Season 2...
I just get annoyed when interaction is like "HUMAN, YOUR EMOTION RESPONSE IS DIFFERENT. I THEORIZE THIS IS THE REASON YOUR EMOTIONAL RESPONSE IS DIFFERENT."
Their is a definite layer of pretentiousness in how it's written, seeing how nobody gets annoyed when every character tries to psychological profile them.
@Mario, I have heard word that these two episodes were a prologue story and the real story is going to kick into gear next episode. But if the characters keep talking like this then it's not going to matter what happens. It will just be terrible.
@Anon, Jojo part 5 died for this. That makes it all the sadder. Plus it's two cour so this show is gonna be on for half a year.
Being said all that I will follow it for 1 more episode
And then that girl who passed away because of the reset. I feel my emotions drying up at that point. Tasteless. Heartless
Wanna say the same thing regarding Sagrada Reset as well. I have the feeling the show tries to sound smart that ultimately if I hear someone talks like this in real life, I would go punch his face. Manipulating the social worker by slitting your own wrist? WHAT? Asking a girl about her rules, then whenever she answers you give your own warped opinions on it to sound like you know it all? WHAT
@Aidan: Lol, Sagrada reminds me of how I used to write. Pretentious, overly complex dialogue that nobody would use in real life unless they were trying too hard. It grits on my ears so much that I don't think I can keep watching it, especially because this is probably how it's going to be for the whole series.
@Amagi: I feel your pain. I used to enjoy those types of shows, but I've found more and more since getting out of high school that they just make me want to take a nap. It doesn't help that they're everywhere. X.D
God Sagrada Reset is frustrating. So many good ideas, all absolutely ruined by the dialogue and characters. If you just changed the dialogue a bit and made the characters emote more then this would be so very interesting. But they manage to drain the life out of the story.
@Amagi, in most cases you can easily write off the ones not worth your time based on the summery. Occasional those kinds of show can turn out to be worth watching but it just doesn't happen often enough.
Nothing against those types of anime in general, but it's just not aimed at me I guess. - I also should specify: school (semi)harem, not school alone. I enjoy Tsuki ga Kirei.
I really love this season but I should stop testing the school- and shoujo stuff. It's almost never worth the time and it always bores me so much that I have to stop watching anime for a few hours.
@Travlos: Why does a hobbyist artist care when someone critiques their art or a fanfic writer care about reader feedback? When you do something you enjoy, it's normal to want to improve and other people's opinions are important for that.
@Travlos: because 1) We still need to listen to what readers say to improve and 2) we're debating more about rating system, which I also feel the need of upgrading. btw, any shows that catch your interests so far this season?
Konstantinos Travlos
Why do you guys care about what someone thinks about your reviews? You are doing a good enough thing as is, and t is a hobby. Do your thing and do not lose time on this.
I think I'm just gonna follow sukasuka and re:creators this season. Seem to of shown the most potential universally.
Soy and almond milk are also available as alternatives for the lactose intolerant.
From the manga it seems like it would translate well into an anime with the right production values so I think I'm going to try it. I was mostly concerned that they'd push the melodrama even more through the roof, haha. I did see some of the reviews on it here and they made me hopeful that it was fairly well-executed.And of course the milk can be chocolate. Just not vanilla, vanilla milk is yuck i
Its certainly making me happy I waited until the end of the season to binge it.
I'd have the milk as well... Need more milk to my life.
Hope Scum's Wish entertains you, Lenlo. ^^
I will say the sound design has been great for Scums Wish though I have not read the manga to see how it matches up
I dont think "enjoyed" is the right word for this kind of show, but I do know im going to finish it.

Also, can the milk be chocolate?
@Lenlo: That's true, but I also feel like everyone here needs some milk. And I've been reading the Scum's Wish manga and can't decide if it'll be worth it to watch the anime.
Scums Wish, 4 episodes in, has been the perfect little dose of depression I crave from each anime season.
I have to say, its a pretty fun break from super srs anime discussion sometimes
There's so much sass in this chatbox sometimes I can't even. :.D
Also please note that if data gathering results do not support your hypothesis that there will be no refunds
I will have you know my data gathering services are quite expensive and I don't operate until paid.
Aidan is providing the data for us.
You do know that for the scientific method, you make a hypothesis and then you run experiments to produce data to prove or disprove said hypothesis. It cant just sit in limbo and then you go "I was right". You have to provide data at some point. At this point, you have yet to provide any data to support what you say.
Sir Robin
You seem to have never heard of the scientific method then Aidan. You don't need proof before you formulate an hypothesis. Fortunately this most recent development of you being wrong supports it.
I am sure Sir Robin would be delighted to hear this but I think I was wrong in my assessment of SukaSuka(Shūmatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii Desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii Desu ka?) That insert song at the begining of the episode was masterful and a number of things have changed my mind about it. It may be more interesting than I first expected. First novel was still pretty boring though.
Should have another impressions post up today. As for what I am covering that's Little Witch Academia, Attack on Titan and Sekaisuru Kado.
At least we never have to fight tooth and nail to cover something as what we want to cover never clashes.
Which mean 2 PA Works, 2 original shows and 3 slice-of-life shows. Well done Mario for being predictable and consistently boring as ever
3 more new shows to go. This season has to be one of the longest stretch of new shows in a while. Still waiting for how well Atom the Beginning will perform but if nothing change I will cover Eccentric Family 2, Tsuki ga Kirei and Sakura Quest this season.
@Anon, I can take criticism. In fact I welcome it. It helps for me to address weaknesses in my writing. I want Sir Robin to provide proof because A) it would make his opinion actually be worth something and B) so I can use it to improve. But I can't do anything with something like "You're shit. Stop being shit. You shit."
No, the one who makes a claim is responsible to prove it. A claim is dubious at best until proven to be true.
I don't see why Sir Robin should be assed to show proof. He's either right or he's wrong. People are perfectly able to come to their own conclusions. I guess the onus is on you to not prove him right, Aidan.
Seiji Kishi working on tsuki ga kirei...show ruined =<
Forever tainted, forever tainted.
...oh...oh God...this is one of those perfect coincidence things that is so repulsively funny...looking into animation for OTHER countries I found this really weird Belgian porny animated film about Desade, the puppet has a dong hand...now as I look at images from this...a youtube video of anime openings plays the midori no hibi opening...
@anon3: the incremental rating system like you said could work too, although I still prefer to use a number rating system. And psgels had built a massive anime rating in that format that I think it's a shame that we ignore that completely
Still frustrating not being able to enjoy Shinkai's films, knowing in particular with Your Name, like with all his films I'm in the minority in not getting the appeal. Because of the acclaim around him I WANT to like his work.
HelghastKillzone
That was my message below and I'll do a write-up some time soon.
so... last night, I watched Your Name and I'm very glad I saw it in theaters and didn't get the plot spoiled to me over the last two years.
Anyway to prevent confusion I believe I will nickname our little friend Sir Robin. In reference to his crusader spirit and...
Though it's not exactly ideal as you will only keep that name while yo are on the sites page and If you leave you can't use it again until a day has passed.
@Anon109, Might be a good idea to use that change username button on this chatbox to give yourself a name. So you won't be mistaken for him.
That was directed to anon btw
You make it sounds like you're on a crusade for truth lol. It's just different ways of looking at things, calm down
Consider that an ultimatum.
Actually be assed to put some evidence down. List a few examples which prove your point. Prove you have a point. Otherwise I see no reason to keep someone around whose only contribution is to call me an asshole that no one should listen to.
@Anon, truth that requires no evidence it seems.
Quite the mighty crusade. Just one problem. If I wanted I could get rid of you at any moment. So here's the deal.
Anonymous1012052
@Aidan: so long as I keep reminding people that you don't know what you're talking about, people will be more conscious and figure the truth out for themselves
Guessing this is the reason funimation doesn't have many simudubs this season. Others are nabbing up licenses.

Tsuki ga Kirei – 03 [Howling at the Moon]

Tsuki ga Kirei sure understands about the life of 14-year-old kids would be like. I’m sure we all have different experience about that pre-teen stage of our life, but the life portrayed here is so vivid and true to life that it brings out our fond memories as well. Personally, while not much really happen […]

Sakura Quest – 03 [The Cry of the Mandrake]

“The one who can change the town is the young fool outsider” Which kind of makes sense, since the outsider’s perspective will give a fresh take to improve the town. That makes our Queen Yoshino the perfect candidate, but as the interview goes on, she learns the truth: she hardly knows anything about the town, […]

Little Witch Academia – 15[Chariot of Fire]

Shiny Chariot rides once again and I think that’s where most of the animation went besides the showcase at the end of the episode. Wise choice though as it shows that Ursula hasn’t dulled much in her later years. She still seems intent on keeping her identity secret from Akko though this may be because […]

Shingeki no Kyojin(Attack on Titan)- 28[Southwestward]

It’s more than a little frustrating when you have a character present who has answers to very important questions, yet refuses to speak up for rather contrived reasons. Though we don’t quite know why the priest doesn’t speak up I can’t really think of anything that would possibly be preventing him from doing so. This […]

Seikaisuru Kado – 02[Novo]

This episode answers the question of just what was happening to the plane survivors during the period the government were trying to break into the cube. The answer seems to be that they were interacting with an alien lightform. This episode does feel like the series is still in its introduction stage and likely the […]

Uchoten Kazoku 2 – 02 [The Conjurer Tenmaya]

The Eccentric Family becomes increasingly eccentric this week, with all the business about bear running wild and a strong reference to hell (who would’ve thought that?). But first, I’m delighted with two new returns this week. The first “return” is the OP that were sorely missing last week, in which we have the opening song […]

Re:Creators – 02 […… that wasn’t funny]

Resuming from the convenience store shopping and onwards on to the sightseeing trip into Tokyo, Re:Creators does a massive info dump and theory, courtesy of the gluttonous caster-type Meteora Österreich. I wasn’t all too invested in how these heroes came into Souta’s world but information splitting off and colliding with each other between all the […]

Sakura Quest – 02 [The Gathering of the Five Champions]

I’ll be honest, I’m digging this tale about the attempted runaway queen that ends up selling sweets in a self-made stand. Sakura Quest is a third of a loose trilogy from PA Works about characters and their specific jobs, after Hanasaku Iroha (about hot spring inn) and the heavyweight Shirobako (about anime industry) which are […]

Tsuki ga Kirei – 02 [A Handful of Sand]

Tsuki ga Kirei, or “as the moon, so beautiful.” as English title (a famous Japanese way to say “I Love You”), is your very definition of a slice-of-life romance show. Tsuki ga Kirei pays exclusive attention to the atmosphere, the small moments and characters’ reactions, while main plot and dramatic tension taken a back seat. […]

Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon (Winter 2017) Review – 74/100

Scum’s Wish (Winter 2017) Review – 80/100

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Review – 90/100

When you have watched a large amount of anime you can come to assume that you have learned a lot about Japanese culture. Though I think it’s testament to how limited it is to view Japan through anime when you come to realize that despite watching so much, you have never heard of Rakugo. Rakugo […]

Youjo Senki Saga of Tanya the Evil Review – 80/100

Isekai stories have become somewhat of a tiresome genre as of late. There have been many stories of people being transported/reincarnated into other worlds where they shed their once pitiful exterior and become some legendary figure in another world. In most cases it’s trit, balant childish wish fulfilment and the stories often become tiresome when […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. (Winter 2017) Review – 83/100

Imagine my utmost amazement when a show that I wasn’t that confident on taking in the beginning turned out to be one of the most solid offering this season had to offer. ACCA is the most recent anime adaptation from mangaka Natsume Omo, which despite isn’t a household name, many of her works (6 titles […]

Demi-chan wa Kataritai (Winter 2017) Review – 62/100

Demi-chan is one of the newest addition to the monster girl subgenre, which usually feature a human helpless male lead get stuck in a harem of mythical creatures, in form of oversized boob girls of course (why usually those monsters are in female forms anyways? Aren’t they sexless?). In this case, we have monster girls […]

Seiren (Winter 2017) Review – 51/100

Let me say this out front, Seiren is NOT a good show, it’s a highly uneven one. Throughout its run, I can see some solid moments and fresh ideas that could potentially raise it above the bar, but ultimately, view it as a whole, Seiren is a show that isn’t worth recommending. At first, I’m […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100