Posted by psgels on 25 June 2010 with categories: Angel Beats

Well, what do you know? The creators actually did it. Talk about an awesome ending here, they really surprised me with the direction they went in, and yet it’s typical Key. It’s an episode that’s sentimental as heck, but it fits perfectly as an ending. It really shows that the creators were building up entirely for this episode, and had very much in mind how they wanted to end the series right from the start.

I really like how the creators used the time in which Yurippe was out cold in order to vanish all of the other characters: at this point, everyone has pretty much reached the point in which they fully understand the situation, and any sort of conflict is pretty much gone now. With this episode, we just have five characters remaining, mostly because Otonashi wanted Yurippe to have a smooth exit. It was far less dramatic than I expected, and I really want to thank the creators for that: Yurippe’s background was already way too angsty. Having her just accept the situation she’s in without trying to relate it back to that experience is a great way for her to go.

The entire first half was just one huge chunk of sentiment that worked surprisingly well. After everyone was gone except for Kanade and Otonashi however, the creators decided to pull THE final twist. Should’ve seen it coming, it was a bit cheesy, but who cares. It really fitted as a heart-warming climax to the series that was down to earth at the same time. As confusing as the series was, I love how this entire episode was so incredibly down to earth, without trying any twists beyond the mere necessary.

In fact, this entire season has excellent endings. I’ve yet to see one bad or disappointing ending out of all of the shows that have ended so far, and it really doesn’t look like there’s going to be any change in this considering the series that have yet to end. It’s definitely one of the pluses of the past spring season. The big minus of the spring season unfortunately was that there were just too many series that were too short. Really, Angel Beats should have been 26 episodes. I really believe that anime should find some sort of model again that would encourage for a bit more longer series. But that’s a topic that’s been beaten to death by now.

The only thing that I didn’t like about this episode was the epilogue. Really, that was just unnecessary and felt like it was tacked on at the very end by someone who didn’t know what he was talking about. The climax of the show ended really ambiguously: you really had no idea what happened to these people, and that really was left up to your imagination. That epilogue felt like “yeah they reincarnated and got back together, bye.”
Rating: *** (Awesome)

1. Duo says:

I cannot describe my feeling after finished watching it…u see…that’s a big plot hole if u thought about it: if Kanade was Otonashi’s heart receiver, she couldn’t be in the After Life School (ALS) long before Otonashi, could she? How could she be possibly died before Otonashi if she was gonna receive the heart from him?

In the end, I can only assume in fact everyone in ALS were in coma since no one ever mentioned how did they die (except Hinata and Otonashi were pretty much gone)…hrm…so either in coma or died. and when they disappeared actually means they woke up or were reborn in the real world.

And about the epilogue…it’s Key after all, and so miracle, miracle and miracle~

I think this series really give people “hating or loving” impression since it made no sense from time to time and the plot is entirely out of expectation. I personally like this series for trying so many original ideas but I won’t recommend it to hardcore anime or non-Key fan as you will need a lot of imagination to catch the ending and a sense of reality just won’t do.

2. Aldonaris. says:

Awesome??? Pffffff !!
    Man, you smoke some quality herbs, don´t you ?

3. Topspin says:

I can see the appeal, but it was way too contrived for me. I couldn’t suspend my disbelief at all (and lord how I tried). I wanted to like it, but was just too cheesy for my tastes. I’m just too old and jaded, I guess. If it wasn’t one of the shows my roommates and I watched together this season, I’d have rather watched Rainbow.

For a series about a girl wanting to thank her deceased organ donor, it really went on some wild and pointless tangents. I could have enjoyed it as a one-shot manga/OVA, but this was just over-extended beyond the breaking point.

I honestly couldn’t care less about the characters, except perhaps Otonashi (because he had some character development, albeit over-engineered). I felt like I was just “supposed to care” about things if given some dramatic effects and music. I’m too jaded for that.

4. goldconker says:

The only thing we can make out from the heart donor situation is that either:

1. People might not show up in the Angel Beats! world immediately.
    2. Time in the Angel Beats! world isn’t linked to real world time.

Angel Beats! has been a wild and entertaining ride (and the soundtrack was amazing). The last couple episodes were a bit of a mess though. I feel like the shadows were just thrown in as a contrived way to get rid of everyone. I think it really could have benefited from more episodes to flesh things out, especially the pattern of every episode getting a new villain and then the series going in a different direction.

I’m really hoping for either a second season or OVAs to animate Track Zero, or a 22-26 episode remake of the series.

I liked the ending a lot although there were still a lot of loose ends I would have liked to see tied up. Also, if they were going to do the reincarnation with future meeting ending, I wanted to see shots of how the main characters of the SSS were doing, not an uncertain flash of just Otonashi and Kanade.

5. Anonymous says:

Don’t forget, Otonashi is a bug. A bug does not conform to normal expectations (its a bug).

So the time difference may simply be the effect of the bug

6. sliver says:

Personally, I liked the epilogue. I was sort of confused at the point where Kanade disappears as it was like, “So does Otonashi disappear or not?” Sure, with the ambiguous ending, that could leave an opening for a sequel but I like how they just tie that up.

7. Puran says:

I was a bit disappointed they didn’t bother to explain anything about what that place was. I can understand a vague afterlife concept where souls are in limbo, but what were all those computer-related things for? I guess it’s besides the point, but I was intrigued by those, let’s say sci-fi, elements and was disappointed we didn’t get any closure for those things.

Were they just a stylistic choice and that’s it? Could they have been replaced by say afterlife-magic with spells and such and nothing would be different?

8. Bruce says:

Without the epilogue, though, the series would have ended on such a somber note, and I think that would have completely undone the series’ entire message.

I agree that its sorta annoying though.

9. Inu says:

I personally liked the ending, it may not have tied everything into one conclusive knot but it closed the series and definitely did not leave Otonashi behind so they could do a prequels.

I don’t think AB should have or could have explained about its world though. Everything was ambiguous and really, it’s god’s little sandbox, the thinking is left to whoever playing with it.

The Angel Software does feel like a plot device to make things interesting though.

10. Watcherzero says:

Its a world that could be reused, though I think a remake would have a hard time living upto the production values of this.

yeah they went for the Lost ending, an afterlife outside time, but you could tell that by the hinting yurippe had been there for decades if not a century or more but there was no differing temporal origin of the charachters.

Overall I will remember this series for its charachter designs, amazing music and to a lesser degree imaginative setting, if not for its individual episodes.

11. Rick says:

Actually it’s stated in a earlier episode that Otonashi wandered around in a amnesiac state before wandering into that world Yurippe was in.

For all we know, he coulda been a npc that suddenly changed ala Stalker lover black haired dude.

Look at Riverworld.. It doesn’t matter when you die, sometimes you can appear the same time as someone who died years earlier or later.

Whose to say Otonashi isn’t the original designer who went mad? Maybe he wanted to see his sister again in this afterlife world.

In fact, I think Otonashi was the one who made that place and after going mad, just wandered around amnesiac. I think Otonashi woulda given anything to have his sister back.

Then finally he decides to pass on because nothing is left. No Kanade and thus we have the
    reincarnation.

Lots of stories have love bypassing time and space.

12. 109 says:

I completely agree about that last scene. For me, the point where everything all comes together is after Kanade disappears, and I’m just wondering whether Otonashi disappears or stays. Then that gorgeous closing song, and all the characters, I was repeating each one’s name to myself as they vanished from the closing sequence, until at last there was Otonashi left with that amazing song still playing, and I was hoping to myself that he’d vanish and not be left behind. When he vanished, I understood that he’d left that world, and I was content. So what was that extra scene doing at the end? It made the emotional impact of the ending a little less powerful for me.

13. m says:

The progression of time doesn’t have to be parallel between the worlds, and there’s no telling where Otonashi was before he arrived there anyway. If you open the door for magic, be prepared for things to break your intuition. Just think of all of the crazy things religions accumulate.

I would also resist accepting anything the characters tell you about the reality they exist in as canon, for the same reason you wouldn’t use random people on the street to learn physics. They don’t know. So when they claim that they’re mistakes, that other characters have been lost forever, this-or-that person is an agent of god, or that the world works in this-or-that way, just take that as their understanding of the situation, subject to change at any time.

The stuff in the world they exist in comes from the minds of the people that arrive there. The computers, the guns, and maybe even the setting of the high school can be seen as ideas that the dead brought with them from the lives they lived. They accept it because it meets their expectations. Maybe with the right frame of mind and conviction they would have flying saucers and yeti roaming about.

I thought the epilogue was alright. It was also nice to see Kanade appear with the group in the ending too. I don’t need to bring my own interpretation of where they end up, so if the author offers something up I’ll take it. For a vaguer setting there’s always Haibane Renmei.

14. Mizst says:

IMO, the extra scene at the end is important to signify that this is not only the end, but also a new beginning. If the anime ended with only Otonashi disappearing in the ED, it’d feel too much like everything ended. The author wanted to convey this “new beginning” feeling, hence the extra scene. This was the point that, IMO, got lost in Haibane Renmei, and this anime tried to do something about it.

15. hai says:

I just didn’t like how Otonashi confessed to Kanade :/ It just felt so out of place and kind of crack. Had their relationship been more developed, I would have been fine with the ending but I was seriously surprised when Otonashi confessed. I would have liked the ending so much more had they just exchanged words, revealed Kanade’s story, and just both disappeared as friends.

In my opinion, the epilogue was very unnecessary. Sure, the episode ended on a rather bitter note but the ending song (which shows Otonashi disappearing) symbolizes that he probably left after understanding that his old body was really able to help someone live.

I really just can’t get over how that love for Kanade popped out of nowhere =___= I didn’t think Angel Beats! would do any major coupling and if they did, it would’ve been between Otonashi and Yuri (Hinata and Yui had a cute thing too, but it was also kind of crack).

In short, this series was pretty great. It felt rushed towards the end with Naoi suddenly appearing and with the computer virus things eating the characters but it was original and had an ending that tied the story together (I really like how they use the pasts and tie it back into the story, not just ‘I have a tragic/angsty past woe is me’) It could have been much better had the series been longer and better thought out but meh, I’m satisfied, I guess.

16. m says:

Yuzuru’s interest in Kanade is pretty obvious, it just takes different forms at different points. In the beginning he is intrigued by her, and while everyone else is contemplating how to defeat Tenshi he’s usually staring at her, and looking to understand her. His interest here is superficial, like most romantic interests begin.
    After they knock Kanade from her position as student council president and he inadvertently steals her spicy tofu ticket, Yuzuru’s interest in Kanade moves toward the sympathetic. He realizes that they have isolated her, and even though she’s supposed to be their enemy, his empathy leads him to try to get closer to her and become her friend.
    After he tries to get her into his group of friends and she’s overtaken by Yuri’s bungling, he’s the one holding her in his arms calling her name. He then proceeds to wait by her side in the infirmary. He’s clearly quite interested in her by now.
    After she wakes up they begin to scheme of ways to help others let go of their regrets. He realizes that she’s human and they spend time together. As normal a bonding experience as one can expect in the world they’re in.
    Even Hinata knows that Yuzuru likes Kanade, which you can see when they’re talking about which of them will leave first.
    In the end, Yuzuru’s confession could be seen either as him being honest with his feelings that he’s been harboring or a last attachment to cling to his past life. I think it was obvious that it was the former, because I think they’ve been hinting at his interest in her from the start. The epilogue leaves out the ambiguity.

There are a few issues people have with story relationships. One, people tend to expect unrealistic levels of romance in fiction, making love some kind of weird superlative. Two, people–shippers especially–will deny relationships they just don’t like. You could see this in Toradora, for example, when people were like, “OMG, where did this relationship between Ryuuji and Taiga come from?” Sometimes a story will keep relationships really ambiguous to milk franchise for a long time, but other times the hints are pretty much clubbing you in the face.
    In Angel Beats!, where everything transpires at too quick a pace, the sort of hard-earned love of Tomoya for Nagisa just can’t fit.

For what it’s worth I thought the Yui and Hinata relationship was pretty obviously telegraphed as well. It was the typical “you get along so well” relationship between anime male/female pairs that fight. Think Keitaro/Naru from Love Hina.

17. Fiep says:

Tenshi hiding behind Yuri was too cute :-(

But Id still have liked to hear more about this world though, especially some character backgrounds.

18. Rachel says:

I cried during the graduation ceremony and straight-up bawled my eyes out at the conclusion…and I honestly don’t remember the last time I was that emotionally attached to the characters in an anime. Angel Beats is amazing.

19. Michael says:

@Miszt

I disagree with you about Haibane Renmei, but agree with you about Angel Beats. Angel Beats simply could not have ended on a horribly depressing note, it wouldn’t fit the hopeful and more comedic tone of the series.

Haibane was never comedic. It was more contemplative throughout. Furthermore, Haibane was showing much more of an existential crisis than Angel Beats. In Angel, the characters are effectively grounded. Though the don’t know why they are there, they still have their memories and know that they died in a previous life and regret their past lives. The kids in Angel are dealing with a known quantity, though certainly an emotional one. In Haibane, people are a lot less knowledgeable about WHY they are there, which leads to a completely different show.

Without spoiling the anime too much, Angel Beats is focused on accepting the past life, whereas Haibane is focused on accepting the PRESENT life and the future (if there is even one). Those are two VERY different things. And for the themes and questions Haibane is entertaining (fundamentally much more theological and intellectual than Angel Beats), I think Haibane’s ending is quite acceptable and poetic and really advances the main themes and motifs of the series.

20. Mizst says:

@Michael

I have pretty much the same thoughts about Haibane Renmei. The only point I was trying to say is that Haibane does not portray any “new beginning” feeling. So when those birds go up that altar, I got the feeling that they’re “leaving the paradise” whereas in Angel Beats when someone found peace I got the feeling that they’re “leaving the limbo to find a new life”. Haibane consistently portrays flying into the sky as imminent and desirable, just like finding peace in Angel Beats, but does not really come around to portraying that it’s actually good for them, whereas in Angel Beats they did. That’s what I mean by the point getting omitted.

IMO this doesn’t have anything to do with being comedic or philosophical, and Angel Beats also has its fair share of existential crisis. The characters were asking themselves the whole time: why was I born if I had to go through that miserable life and died accomplishing nothing?

And I’m not saying this is bad for either story. I was just saying that Angel Beats was avoiding Haibane’s version of the ending, thus they have what you see in ep 13 (since somebody else was complaining about it).

21. Ming says:

I think the whole timeline of the world isn’t what we think it is…we don’t really know when or how long it takes for a person to enter after their death. Also, from how the ending turned out, doesn’t it feel like Otonashi was the programmer of Angel Player and inventor of the Kage’s? He was a bug, he lost his love, and he was left in that world…maybe. Considering the NPC returned to PCs as Yurippe said, the programmer turned himself into a NPC, and with his feeling he got his humanity back, which made him Otonashi again.

22. elle says:

honestly one of the main reasons why i started watching Angel Beats was because of you! i really wanted to see what all the fuss was about and i’m so glad i did..so thank you for that. i completely agree with you on the ending…it was so rushed and i felt it ended too abruptly. thank you though, for introducing me to this anime :) it’s by far one of my favorites despite the rushed ending ^_^

23. amy says:

i didnt really like the epilogue. it was kinda awkward…like i was bawling at the end since i was like they might never meet each other again..and then the epilogue comes along and im like “…ok…yeahh…” it completely ruined the mood. they shouldve left it to the viewer’s imagination

Customize
@anon196168 I'm all ears for suggestions.
Anonymous196168
If youre going to japan maybe you could do something more unique than just taking pictures of locations? Plenty of those already on Google.
Noticing a server error showing up on the shoutbox there.
Good point, normal users generally just stay anono. ke69Vin?...69...really....that's just sad humor right there.
That was most definitely little Kevin as well. 9vinke6 is obviously an anagram.
@9Vinke6, I don't know what you are trying to share but it ain't an image. Deleting your comment as I don't want dodgy files on the site.
Are you kidding??!! Tokyo is amazing if you want excitement & you want to experience social life. But I agree go to Osaka. If tokyo is like Quebec then osaka is like toronto. More laid back
OPM was a shoe-in. It's showing very good success on Adult Swim on US TV and Viz is throwing big dollars to keep the gravy train rolling
One Punch Man season 2 was announced. Expected but most certainly welcome.
...now I need Re:Zero season 2.
CJayTiiii
Honestly, if you are going to Kyoto essentially no shrine is worth visiting in Tokyo because none of them are as nice as the ones in Kyoto and they are essentially all tourist traps.
If you guys insist I'll give Osaka serious consideration. But again I'd hate to gloss over Kyoto or Tokyo. But anyhow my 4 week stay in Seoul will be eternity compared to the Japan trip.
CJayTiii
Ikebukuro is probably used almost as much as shibuya? Specifically for durarara right around the station (east side) is used a lot. Kabuki-Cho in shinjuku is definitely used a lot but I couldn't tell you in what off the top of my head.
CJayTiii
Also as someone who lived in Kyoto and now lives in Tokyo, I would suggest spending as much time as possible in Kyoto as there is just so much stuff to do there. Tokyo there honestly really isn't that much stuff to do here other than going out to drink I feel. Lol also Osaka is only a 30 min train ride (about 5$ USD) from Kyoto so it's easy to go there for a couple hours
@Mario I'll be home by new years unfortunately, I'll have to settle for Christmas in tokyo.
@CJay Thanks, any suggestions for Tokyo? I'm trying to avoid cliché locations for anime-related scenery. Like Shibuya.
CJayTiii
For Kyoto, Tatami Galaxy is probably the best anime for side by side comparisons. Kamogawa river, Kiyamachi street, and shimogamo shrine are famous areas that pretty much constantly make appearances throughout the show.
@K-Off: Disney Tokyo? haha If it was me I've chosen somewhere more... locally. But who I am to judge as I celebrated last New Year Eve in Times Square, the most tourist spot of them all. But I really hope you can spend some time to go to some shrines for the New Year in Tokyo.
@Mario The person I'm travelling with wants to spend Christmas at Disney Tokyo, and unsurprisingly nearly all places will still be open, same as NYC. Christ, I'm more worried about my wallet.
@K-Off: Makes sense. I'd say better stick in one place for long days rather than short trips in several places. Even 10 days for those 2 places wouldn't be enough imo, well especially during Xmas since the streets will be busy and many places could be closed (I guess?)
@Mario It doesn't seem like I'll go to Osaka, the goal is to explore Kyoto and Tokyo and much as possible for a week and a half. If I can squeeze it in there I will, but that means spending less time in Kyoto and/or Tokyo. The bulk of my trip will be in Tokyo for now.
Yeah, Kenshin had a whole Kyoto act, but it was more historical anw and I feel it didn't explore the city that much (more of a ruined city)
Really, only uchoten Kazoku, tatami galaxy and durarara come to mind. Are you planning to go to Osaka as well? I heard from my friend Osaka is about an hour drive from Kyoto only.
@Anon174851 Ah good one.
@Mike Thanks. Durarara is a good suggestion, but I haven't watched Rurouni Kenshin.
Mike
@Kaiser Sure, the story doesn't do anything for me but it's not a waste of time.
@K-Off You can do pretty much anything in Tokyo I'll bet. Anime in general aside from shows like Durarara don't emphasize the setting very much... Kyoto is more interesting, rurouni kenshin is the first thing that comes to mind.
uchouten kazoku is a really good one set in kyoto!
Haven't heard of it. Anyways, do you guys have any suggestions for favorite anime series set in Kyoto or Tokyo? I'm planning my itinerary and the idea is to take a lot of side by side comparison pictures from their anime depictions to RL. I have YuruYuri, SYD, Detective Conan, and various KyoAni spots in mind, but my brain isn't remembering others.
I'm considering finding some War/military manga to read, has anyone read Gunka no balthazar? Is it worthwhile?
@Anon164960, They announced a second season for it so they ain't done with that trainwreck yet.
Gate
So Rewrite took the "Bad End" route. Interesting. Their choice, not the show of course which was a freaking mess from start to finish.
Ah, reminding me that I have not left Ireland since 2012 when I went to Rome. Although I have floated around the idea of maybe going to Slovakia.
@Mario Thanks, although I'll be working the whole time I'm at Seoul with sundays off. Expecting about 40-50 hours of work a week. Sucks that your trip got canned, in the Winter there's no place you'd want to be other than southern California.
Congrats K-Off. Hope you enjoy the trip. I myself originally planned to go to US on this December but now the plan got wrecked. Should be fun spending Xmas in Japan especially
Got my international drivers permit from AAA today, and it also looks like I'm stuck with over half the travel fees since I've signed myself off the agency plan. It's now official, I'm going to Seoul and then spending my christmas holidays in Tokyo. Been a long time since I left the country, last time was in 2011.
That was me Mario
@Masky: it wasn't, but Gui Niao did mention the pipe has multi-purpose functions: do far he uses the pipe to write, to create a hallucination smoke, to make an actual bushfire, to open the lock, now to be a sword-pipe. What's next? To be a wifi modem? to be a boomerang? to shapeshift into an umbrella?
So Thunderbolts Fantasy :D Totally called the pipe being a sword (assuming it wasn't shown earlier and I just forgot about it)
@Anon146321, typos are hard to avoid when you write fast. What's really important to is that the point gets across, which it did.
Medium not meduim
I wonder if trolls consider people explaining why their trolling is bad a successful trolling .-. I mean, my experience is that most of trolls aren't really smartest or most creative of people, I think most of them are happy if people just talk about them.
@Anon141285, oh come on boy. Put some effort into trolling. You need to get people to actual think you believe what you are saying. Here you have already messed up because you use the old "Chinese cartoons" which is supposed to piss of anime fans because it suggests you are ignorant of the meduim but then you reference the nukes showing full well you know where they are from. You have failed.
Chinese cartoons proof that two nukes weren't enough. Or were too much depending on the perspective
oh, talking about teenage horror female movie, make sure to check out Raw whenever its available online. That is one hell of a fun cannibal ride!
my point is we tend to spend our stupid 20s phase feel like its wasted, but really it does help develop our hobby/sense/wisdom, whatever it is.
I find myself now that I've grown up wanting to punch kid characters from horror films lol
About the watching stories with younger female characters...its starting to feel like I shouldn't be or that it doesn't feel appropriate, actually sort of awkward/skeevy.
True enough. But remember that even Quentin Tarantino had his 20s basically just a movie-clerk, watched movies like a maniac and he made that classic Pulp Fiction when he was like 33
Looking back It feels dickish that I laughed reading NHK.
I mean look at Re-life, I mean ow, everyone went through that.
I think we'll find that stage where we'll get irritated by stories reminding us of our stupid 20s phases eventually just as some teenage focused anime/manga annoyingly remind us of being teens.
In terms of anime/manga, much as I'd still see myself liking NHK I could see myself getting more frustrated with the lead character now being in my early 30s.
In the past year I've been looking at hentai/ecchi imageboards not as often as I used to.
Judy Delphy and Juliette Binoche have aged surprisingly well...
Ah its less fancying/finding them attractive, moreso taking notice of them.
I can understand the others but Meryl Streep too? Man, you're aging I can tell
@Mario: Julianne Moore, Isabelle Huppert, Meryl Sreep, Susan Sarandon, Cate Blanchett.
@Kaiser: like whom if I may ask?
But I'm always interested in women issues myself so Mustang just hit me hard
Its a sign of me aging I guess too. I'm noticing older actresses too now where I wouldn't have in the past.
Looking forward to Under the Shadow too, also really keen to see how The Bad Batch would turn out to be
Strangely I've become more engaged with teen, coming-of-age films recently (well, Aku no Hana is sort of teen drama as well),but yes, old man's psyche is my thing too
@Mario: Synecdoche, the passenger, winter light, anomalisa , wild strawberries , la notte for example.
@Mario: The day is coming where drama centred around twentyboppers won't have the same level of effect on me. Had I seen buffalo 66 5 years ago I would have been all over it. Old man/middle age angst is becoming more my thing.
@Mario: I'm honestly having a harder time getting into films that focus on young girls/teenagers.
@Mario: Theres only a few upcoming films left I'm looking forward to, Elle, Valley violence, whispering star and under the shadow.
@Mario: I appreciate mustang for the issue it deals with and addresses but I felt it predictable and the drama didn't hit harshly enough. It feels like an academy/oscars film.
Kaiser: remember I mention about watching those 96 Cannes line-ups? I think I will get to watch them soon, since I downloaded all the movies already
@Kaiser: btw, you hated Mustang? It's also one of my favorite film so far.
but maybe think of it that way will make the manga more entertaining...
You see Aku no Hana as a dark comedy? haha I'm speechless
Like you Mario I don't care for heavy infodumping and that took me out of the new world.
Bebop had that problem for me in that I saw outlaw star and trigun first.
I still feel aku no hana is a guilty pleasure manga, a crazy dark comedy or maybe thats just my humour.
Hataraku had me laughing up to episode 7, while Amagi felt stale from the start.
Looking back on Baccano I still like Claire and Russo but the other characters not so much, the main series is enjoyable enough but the extra episodes hold back the score.
I've never watched Habane straight through although I have finished the series. Ghost vs ergo? Ergos final episode wrecked the show.
I thing Hataraku was a lot more consistent, but Amagi had some standout episodes. For me the OVA, the pirate ship episode and the school episode were great. "Simply put, we have to go lewder" is one of my fav quotes
How was that by the way? I never bothered to watch Amagi Brilliant Park all the way through because I felt so cynical about it after the first two episodes. Hataraku Mao Sama on the other hand was genuinely refreshing for the first half of the season.
In other news, The Eccentric Family is getting 2nd season. Now I'm filled with joy
Still feel bad to compare an 1-cour series (Baccano) to an 4-cours one. But in this case Baccano would take my cake.
I reckon The Devil is a Part Timer vs Amagi Brilliant Park would be a fun one, and I wouldn't know which would win.
Baccano vs Durarara might make a good matchup. Baccano is the better one but Durarara does seem to be more popular.
Syndrome
Yeah it is a bit obvious and they dont share much in common anyway. Just that they are two of the most well known anime out there. I enjoyed NGE more than Cowboy Bebop, but I agree on the later beeing overall a better anime.
Oh look. Berserks Manga is on Haitus again. Muira...just..at this point I ain't even mad. Just disappointed.
Well, new post on Flowers of Evil is out. Come eat it up.
@Syndrome: was thinking about that match-up (NGE vs Cowboy Bebop) but isn't it too obvious? I always intend to pick something that caught you guys off-guard haha
@Syndrome, no contest. Cowboy Bebop wins outright.
Syndrome
On a serious note, for related anime, I would be curious about something like Ergo Proxy against Ghost in the Shell
Syndrome
Go for NGE vs Cowboy Bebop and watch the world burn
Yeah, I agree it's one of the main factors, but even so From the New World had a higher grade too. But I wouldn't pick Haibane Renmei against From the New World if I didn't think it had a chance to win. Those who loved the former really loved it, while people more appreciate From the New World than actually love it. Well, can't beat the consensus I guess.
I'd say a major reason for that would be the popularity difference. On MAL, Haibane has a following of 110k people, with FTNW having 270k.
I'm personally quite disappointed with the results. Will try harder for a more competitive match-up next time
@Mario, if you say so. I say by now the victor has been decided.
@Aidan: we don't need to sticky the Versus Show again, as I will put up the Aku no Hana post tomorrow anyway
Yeah the brightness got a bit much in some places after episode 18.
I thought the brightness was done well in the episode with Rem sitting beside Subaru's bed and her smiling/crying, but yeah this was too much
@anon125687: my thought exactly. While I was watching it I thought to myself that it's too bright!!
Why do final episodes overdo the blur effect and fuzzy lighting its literally over dramatic cancer. Just let it end normally ffs
afgm
Well, it's hard, since it doesn't really feel finished, so even if you know it will eventually end well if given a chance, you can't really put your full confidence behind those bets
Got a bit long winded in that review and yet I feel like I really didn't get across what makes the series so good.
Well that's the Re:Zero review written up. I will get to work on 91 days next and maybe Prisms Illya maybe after that. Lost all entuasim after they messed up that last episode in Illya. Overall it's been pretty disappointing.
As for that twist. I think they could work it easily into a first episode. The impact would still be there for people marathoning the thing in the future and it would be a good "Oh Shit!" moment to start the second season. If they jump ahead a bit to a certain moment it would actually make for a great opener.
I say the only chance of season two not coming would be if White Fox doesn't like money. Considering that the pace which the light novel adaption has sped up from every few months to a release every month I guess that they want to make that second season as badly as we want it. At this pace they could start a second season in maybe a years time. Maybe every half a year depending on cour length.
Syndrome
Also, if season 2 ever come (that would be a surprise if not, and truly annoying), I dont know how they will manage with the "twist", as something this impactful would come way too fast without any kind of setup. Wait and see, I guess.
Syndrome
After seeing the last Re:Zero I couldnt help but spoil myself, and I kind of understand why WhiteFox went with that kind of ending, skipping what would be a giant shtstorm on the internet. Even though, in a sad world where there would be no season 2, Im still a bit disappointed with the ending. Its nice to wrap it up this way but its a stale regarding the plot and there is no food for thought.
@aidan: you sure are fast when it comes to Re:Zero haha. Alrighty, we'll go with that then
@mario,I am putting up a Re:Zero post. Tommarrow. I will unsticky it for a day and then we can sticky it again.
reaLjustified
@K-Off No worries, it's so messed up. Stay safe.
@Aidan: if you going to post Re:Zero review soon, you can unsticky the Versus Show post, otherwise I will take it down in 2 days
@K-Off: I feel for ya. Glad that there were only minor injuries. I heard a blogger claimed that he did it because of the gay rights. Sound bullsh*t to me
Shit ton of manga have gotten updates but I don't feel like talking about them for a while, lost my appetite.
@Kaiser Living in NYC all my life I remember 9/11, flight 587 crash in Queens, the Hudson River water landing, and now this.
So far it seems most of the people calling it disappointing are those who know whats comes after that last scene and were looking forward to how the fanbase reacts to it. But it would have been a pretty terrible as well as evil way to end the series.
Yeah, I thought it gave enough closure for us to be satisfied yet still desperately wanting the next season.
@Anon120947, I really don't see what's so disappointing about it. I thought it was a pretty solid way to end the series.
I think at most the worst thing that happened in my area was two conmen going around and an gangster attack on a nearby hotel.
@K-off: Honestly, glad to hear you're safe. And having a bomb go off nearby would make me feel paranoid.
@Anon: I'm waiting, waiting for reviews written after the show ends.
Anonymous120947
Feels like it has been done this way in case of a never happening season 2... to kind of close it.
Anonymous120947
Wow, that last episode of Re:Zero was pure straight disapointment... finishing like this feels is real suffering.
Well, we don't know yet. We don't know who did it, if it was connected to the pipe bomb explosion in jersey, etc. But the second device found on 27th street does seem to point the situation towards terrorism.
afgm
Luckily it doesn't seem to be a terror attack
Yeah. I was a good 8 blocks away inside a restaurant so I didn't even know until later. It must have been a pretty small bomb since all the injured have apparently already been released from the hospital.
Damn. Just looked it up. Good thing you weren't at the area when the bomb went off.
Fucking hell, transit is so congested I still can't get home. Luckily it seems like there's no fatalities according to the initial reports, there are still a shit ton of people around central for shelter. I didn't hear or feel the explosion at chelsea, and currently I'm at lenox with my bicycle. So congested it looks like I'm going to have to walk my bike a few more miles before I get picked up. L
Watched The Empire of Corpses. I makes me sad to see a great idea be turned into such a mediocre movie. I think this concept could have been put to much better use but instead it decided to go with the blandest option.
The guy who will direct it is a live-action director who only had Psycho Pass the Movie (not a good one) as an anime director. WTH? Don't know what to think about this new FLCL now
and it will be co-produced by Adult Swim on top of that?
How comes I just noticed this old news that FLCL will get two-seasons sequel...
And by that I mean "Huh, haven't checked the blog for two days"
Yay commenting on two days old blog posts
Finished rewatching Re:Zero and now ready for the finale. Let's see how this goes.
I will be mourning the now dead hope of a somewhat decent Berserk adaption.
The last few episodes were not bad but purely on the merits of the source material and not the adaption.
@Bam: I'll be mourning indeed.
@Anon 112098: I haven't watched Chef, but it has more to do with me not interested in chef's life whatsoever. Is it good?
Bam
I'm out of town until Sunday evening. The Berserk finale post will hopefully be up early Monday mourning, followed by the overall cour review a bit later in the week.
Anonymous112098
Habe u seen Chef with John Favreau?
I am quite upset with how Sliver link handled that scene. It was the one scene I wanted done right. Just that one scene...and they screwed it up.
He scored the Prince of Egypt? I didn't know that, but yeah I remember it had a great score. Also "When you believe"
Well, a lot of his earlier work is just brilliant. Prince of Egypt in my opinion is his greatest work.
*nothing wrong
Well, Hans Zimmer could do nothing really; but that's a reason why I have a bit of problem with his scores. Everything he made are solid but ultimately sound the same to me.
Agree that the music has been excellent. Not only the soundtrack thou, but the sound editting in general is great (that ringtone during the Great Whale for example).
@Mario, Understandable. As much as I love this show, I admit that it has elements I am sure could turn off people.
Also I really should have talked about the music in this series more. It really is a phenomenal soundtrack. I hear they were going with a more cinematic approach to it with Hans Zimmer being a primary inspiration.
@Aidan: it has been a fun ride, I'm glad I stick with it till the end; although I'm not as enthusiastic about it as you are. :)
Re-watching Re:Zero in preparation for the finale. Still is awesome a second time through. In fact the middle part of the series I felt dragged fairs a whole lot better when marathoned though. Noticing a number of things watching the second time. For one Roswell has a really goddamn annoying way of talking. I say I will be giving this on a very favorable review.
Hugh Mungus
@TopGavin, I haven't watched it yet but I hope what you said about the animation isn't too bad because this is where they need to be on top of their game.
So that fate episode was interesting, lotsa stuff happened. Seemed like the animation was worse than usual and my god how could the subs screw up the incantation.
reaLjustified
@Aramus Why would you want to send the picture to your friend? Tell 'em to see it for themselves at the site! lol.
Friend
Most of the time they meant no harm, I think it's always about getting recognition. They quickly take them down after I send them a polite email, and I let them save their ego without smearing them on their page.
afgm
(ok maybe a little fault should go to them lol)
afgm
@Friend: That sucks, but its definitely understandable. People can be pretty thoughtless at times (no fault to them of course).
afgm
tiger mask did make it into the upper quartile though, which is surprising
Friend
@afgm I don't have a large internet presence with my work exactly because I've had situations with theft on Pinterest. For work, I just carry USBs with my portfolio pieces in them :/
Friend
@Aramus Heya, thanks for the inquiry. Unfortunately the fell image won't be available openly unless for commercial purposes, but otherwise feel free to contact me in my business email! :)
afgm
ah you know what? I read the title Time Bokan 24 and thought it had 24 votes x)

orange 13b

orange – 13 (end)

We come to an end of orange’s ride. After teasing us for a whole season whether or not history repeats itself, they decide to go with a happy ending route. While I’m not entirely happy with orange as a whole, this double-length final episode succeeds on closing the story in high note. At the very […]

91-days-11-4

91 Days – 11

So this is it? This is the grand master plan of Avilio’s brought to full fruition? I guess it is and let me say that it’s certainly a let down. Edmond Dantes Avilio is certainly not as his plan pretty much feels like he was going along with the flow and calling it a plan. […]

Thunderbolt Fantasy 12a

Thunderbolt Fantasy – 12

Now, we just have one episode left, but things get even more intense and crazy by the minute, to the point I don’t really know how they would wrap it up neatly. At the beginning Shang Bu Shuan was mocked by Juan Can Yun that he should be titled “Edgeless Blade”, because his sword-style is […]

fate-kaleid-liner-prisma-illya-3rei-11-12-2

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei – 11-12

I will be the first to admit that this season of this series disappointed me. I still stand by my word on this being better than previous seasons of the show but watching it fold out in animation has made me begin to think I was overstating just how good it really was. Though part […]

mob-psycho-100-11-4

Mob Psycho 100 – 11

Looks like I need to eat my own words as it turns out Reigan isn’t the organization’s leader but he managed to convince the guards that he was. This was definitely Reigans finest moment as he makes use of pure deception to catch everyone off guard. He has absolutely no idea what exactly is going […]

91-days-10-4

91 Days – 10

As we near the end of 91 Days I have taken this time to really think over what this show has presented so far and I admit to be somewhat disappointed. Ultimately the ride has been solid and Studio Shuka have delivered on their promise of making a Mafia drama. However I cannot help but […]

orange 11a

orange – 12

For the first time orange manages to do something different narratively. The first half of this week’s episode tells the original timeline in Kakeru’s point of view, and with that we can understand more clearly about his emotional progress, at the same time gives us much more details about his Mom. In the original timeline, […]

[HorribleSubs] Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 18 [480p].mkv_002253.373

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World – 91/100

re-zero-kara-hajimeru-isekai-seikatsu-25-3

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World – 25

Well it’s over and what a ride it was. Betelgeuse is defeated, everyone is saved and Subaru gets to confess his love to Emilia to leave the series off on a hopeful note. Only thing that would have made it better is more Rem but let us be frank, there is never enough Rem. I […]

[HorribleSubs] Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 18 [480p].mkv_002253.373