Posted by psgels on 2 July 2010 with categories: Kuroshitsuji II, Some Quick First Impressions

Mitsudomoe

Short Synopsis: Our lead character has to teach a class containing three really annoying problem children.
Granted, some of the jokes in this episode really were terrible, but this still is a series that turned out better than I expected. I thought that this would be another one of those dull moe series like there are so many of this season, but it actually got a number of chuckles out of me. There are a ton of problems in this show, and some parts are just plain wrong, but I admire that in the genre of moe comedies, it attempts to do things a bit different by having cute girls make no attempts at acting likable. There are a TON of fanservice jokes in this series, but think of it this way: who didn’t at the age of ten make tons of stupid sex jokes that you didn’t understand? At the moment, some jokes worked and others didn’t, so this series still can go anywhere at this point. The biggest problem with this episode was its forced stupidity. The teachers are supposed to be the straight men in this series, but at times they fail their job at building suspense of disbelief. At a certain point the girls all asked the male teacher to pull down his pants, and he just obliged to that request without questioning it, just for the sake of a small penis joke. As a straight man, you should build up some sense of realism that can be broken by the comedic characters. This guy is unfortunately too bland for that, and his female teacher love interest is just entirely terrible.
OP: Obnoxious, yet somehow catchy.
ED: Hmm, works surprisingly well.
Potential: 45%%

Shukufuku no Campanella

Short Synopsis: Our lead character is a mind-numbingly boring git.
I… have nothing. Seriously. What was that? It’s these kinds of series that really give anime a bad name. I already suspected that this show would be bad, but the depths that this series would reach were even beyond my imagination. This series is just… unbelievable in how incredibly dull it ended up to be. The characters, the dialogue, everything seems so designed to sap any sort of energy out of its viewers. The characters, and I mean EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM, become a goddamn chore to watch and listen to when they open their mouth. They just kept yapping and whining about the most pointless stuff, but the worst part was the way in which the creators seem really keen on reminding us viewer how incredibly beautiful the main cast is. Seriously, they just keep going on and on about that. The only way in which this show stands out is that girls can now get pregnant at the age of three. Worst show of the season BY FAR, this is pandering at its worst.
ED: Generic J-pop
Potential: -50%

Kuroshitsuji II

Short Synopsis: Our lead character has some sort of uber butler.
Okay, let me first explain how I went into this series: I have only seen the first episode of the original Kuroshitsuji, and I don’t really feel like checking it out at this point. The first episode felt too formulaic, it tried too hard to make Sebastien look cool and Ciel like a damsel in distress. It was too forced. However, with the new staff, new cast and new approach, I became interested in checking out the second season. And holy hell is it an improvement! I’m not sure whether I can watch or blog the rest of the series without knowledge of the first season, but nevertheless, this episode was wonderfully camp. The lead character here is an just crazy, and his butler here does things ten times crazier than what I saw in the first season. The scene especially between him and his maid was just…. WTF-worthy. And at the same time, the creators also managed to stuff in enough depth on the inner psyche of this kid, along with the weird relationship he has with his butler. It was wonderfully acted, it went over the top, yet it also had plenty of quiet and subtle moments that gave a ton of depth to these characters. Here’s definitely a big surprise this season.
OP: Standard J-rock, but very nice visuals.
ED: Nice ballad
Potential: 85%

1. reyan16 says:

you can definitely still watch this series without watching the first because they don’t have any connections to each other. It’s basically a totally new story from the first season with new characters and everything so yea

2. Anca says:

It’s because the Kuroshitsuji manga is blah. It became a lot better around the half-way point where they said “fuck this, we’re giving it our own plot.” You can recognise the anime-original episodes by their sheer awesomeness compared to the rest.

That’s why Kuroshitsuji 2 is likely good. They don’t even pretend to have a tangent with the manga anymore.

3. Firechick says:

A Kuroshitsuji series that’s BETTER than the first series??? How is this possible? My friends are fans of it and I respect it, though I myself am not a fan. I should probably tell them about this!

4. shirokiryuu says:

The original Kuroshitsuji to me, is a waste of a lot of potential. Just when things got interesting (like backstory) , it sidetracks to more boring things. Maybe it has some sorta deeper connection that was made after I stopped following it? I think for the second season, since it’s original from the manga, the director probably has more free reign on pacing and plot.

5. ShyBlue says:

Urgh. This IS about Sebastien and Ciel, and those two bored the crap out of me. If you watch the preview, Alois and Claude never come up again and Ciel wakes up. The other cast of the idiot trio and Lizzy is back. DX Oh god, and I was so excited too…

6. harumia says:

I just hope that for this second season they focus less on Ciel and more on these new characters that look so much more interesting ;0

7. Vera says:

Oh sounds good, being a fan of the original Kuroshitsuji (still reading the manga), I was wary of this one. Can’t wait to watch it … with subs :P

Just a note, the first few episodes of Kuroshitsuji (the original) are not really representative. The series did a rather “abrupt” turn after the first 4 episodes, and became much darker.

8. chounokoe says:

Please God…DEAR GOD…let the preview for the next episode be a lie.
    Why exactly did they have to heighten my expectations for a solid continuation of the Kuroshitsuji anime with new characters even further during the episode…only to crush it UTTERLY and COMPLETELY with that preview.

Yeah, I bet all the fangirls will be sqealing with glee that they can watch Sebastian and Ciel again…but good God, that opening and the episode was so good and the preview looks just…NOTHING like that.

So yeah, as it stands right now, this whole episode was a giant TROLL.

9. Defade says:

@chounokoe

Exactly my thoughts. I’m not such a big fan of the original series, but gosh this kid and his butler just just…I mean I love them so much already. But looking at the preview I just went ‘please let this be not true, please let this be not true’.

10. Firechick says:

I don’t think I’ll be watching Mitsudomoe…mainly because the 6th grade kids don’t even look like 11 year olds! They look like four-year-olds! And thanks for the warning about Shukufuku no Campanella.

11. DmonHiro says:

Wait….a show in which they keep going on and on about how beautiful the main cast it? OH MY GOD, THEY MAKE A TWILIGHT ANIME! RUUUUUUUUN!!!!!!!!!!

12. Roldan says:

I’ve got a question for those that saw the first episode of the new Kuroshitsuji anime.

are all the side characters idiots in it to like the original Kuroshitsuji? I’d watch if someone said no or atleast not as much.

13. DmonHiro says:

How should we know? The side characters haven’t done anything yet.

14. chounokoe says:

@Roldan: Well the cast of Kuroshitsuji 2 (if they really are the cast and not just a mockery) appears to be a whole level darker than what came across during the beginning of the original.

The master is poking his maids eye out, the servants seem generally petrified and there seems to be some level of child abuse going on in that family…
    So, yes, it COULD get a lot more serious than season 1. But only IF it is really the cast.

15. Roldan says:

@chounkoe thanks for the reply and let’s hope so. in case anyone’s wondering why i’m asking then i’ll tell you something. My sister started watching kuroshitsuji when it came out the first time and has got some crazy obsession with it.
    she owns all mangas from japan, all the english mangas and a lot other shit. after months of ignoring it i finally tried reading manga, i stopped reading when the cook started talking about superman. i tried the anime instead thinking maybe the humor fits better with voices.. i fell asleep. The premise is kinda interesting but the writing’s to how should i say it in a nice way, lazy. and this is from a guy that likes Katekyo Hitman Reborn!

16. Roldan says:

error for me. the cook referenced not talked about Superman. It’s still shit!

17. lalarhs says:

I think you’d better watch the first season before watching this one. The two season ARE connected because it left off from the first season (Ciel was revived afterall). I think the story will still be based on Sebastian and Ciel, however it’s most likely Alois and Claude will come back and act as the antagonists (judging by Alois sadsitic attitude). The first season had a slow start but the latter episodes showed their characters better (people tend to like the series after the Jack the Ripper arc).

18. Roldan says:

@lalarhs yeah, no. I’d rather just ignore it. worst set of side characters I’ve ever seen and I’ve seen Twilight (saw 2 episodes recently).

19. Solaris says:

It was just a matter of time and bad clones of Kodomo no Jikan, such said Mitsudomoe, would come and push the last line of decency to hell.

20. Puran says:

I didn’t spot Sebastian and Ciel in the OP. Was that OP just a big troll? Is this going to be about Sebastian after all? Are we supposed to be happy that it’s going to be about sebastian and Ciel?

I also liked the first episode, but as soon as Ciel appeared I was worried. And then there was the preview…

21. inkka says:

I watched original Kuroshitsuji likes five eps and I decided to dropped it.
    Hmm..For me It looks like ss1 is try too much to be the dark-mystery and psycho.But it fails. The cast is too much happy to be psycho.(Sometimes they tried to looks cool too. Hey this isn’t the reverse harem anime. -_-“)They are too much funny…And some that going to be psycho in the last look..unnatural.

But This ss2 theme and atmosphere really change in the right way.(At least watched op and see how much it’s different! I love it too much.)

Yeah…some moments look funny.But it blows naturally and fit the dark feeling perfectly.And the psycho moments is Oh Wow…It’s make me utter loudly.(Ah..Hanna so pitiful.)if you wanted to do some of crazy moments.You should can do in this level!
    and when you learn some of backstory of Alois.Some crazy moment suddenly looks acceptable and interesing.And his relationship with his butler is interesting too.

But preview ah…..I know many fangirls are happy about this.But for me it’s not! I hope the old cast will be only at side character.I didn’t wanted them to ruined this perfect atmosphere.NOooooooo.

22. NguyenSon says:

I don’t think Mitsudomoe is a clone of Kodomo but I did find that its jokes (manga) became way too repetitive. There was some “originality” in vol1 but the rest was just boring.

23. Leanie says:

I at least have to give the animation company that made Mitsudomoe props. Not bad for their first ever production. (I think it’s their first, right?) I wrote about Shukufuku on my (really new) blog, too, but mostly I was just flabbergasted that the male lead was, well, cool.

24. Bruce says:

Kuroshitsuji II’s first episode was so wonderfully twisted and dark. But that preview… it was so terrible. I’m hoping it’s just a misleading joke preview. If not… I don’t think I’ve been trolled that hard since Ga-Rei Zero.

25. chounokoe says:

@Bruce: But at least Ga-Rei Zero’s troll led somewhere good (at least in my opinion) and not so much less dark and twisted.
    Yet the troll of Kuro II might lead us down the path of the same nonsensical drivel that held back the first season until Angela appeared…
    YES, I’m one of those people who actually liked the anime more than what the manga did.

Yeah I like the current Detective-Fiction arc in the manga, but the circus arc for example was terrible…and the manga still seems to be going nowhere except for those few moments at the end of each arc.

26. Bruce says:

Yeah, Ga-Rei’s first episode sucked me in, while this… eugh.

27. lalarhs says:

@ Roldan:
    I understand why you hate the side characters, they truly are idiotic. The point of them was to balance the dark atmosphere with comedy. But obviously, it’s not your taste of humour (I was able to ignore them somehow).

Either way, I still think it’s worth giving season 2 a shot since I think you can manage without the first season. Plus, I admit Alois is so much more interesting to watch. Problem is they may return with eps which are solely about Ciel and Sebastian again. Guess the only advice is to simply watch and see.

28. BlandUserGsEf says:

Actually about Kuroshitsuji II, Alois and Claude aren’t going to be one episode characters! You might want to read this though:(http://hyper-parfait.blogspot.com/2010/07/kuroshitsuji-2-yana-tabosos-journal.html)

@Anon, How do you know you don't like it if you don't read it?
Anonymous1196967
Don't like it don't read it.
I went and read Double Arts. This really was a great manga with tons of potentail and truly didn't deserve the axe. It's so depressing that this was cut off so soon and the author went on to make the most generic Harem ever Nisekoi, and that got over 200 chapters.
All of the important dance scenes for Yuri were fantastic, its just some minor one off characters and some reused ones that were an issue, so no they are better than the CGI
Anonymous1190387
Is it worse than those CGI dance scenes in some anime?
@Puran, It is pretty surprising how well that story turns out. I say IG might do the job even if there animation isn't the most consistent. The one thing I am worried about is those necks though. In the PV those things were ridiculously long.
Puran
Fair enough, recycling the animation was bad, agreed. But the animation itself was really good.
See, I found the repeated dances in Yuri one of the worse parts. Alot of it was recycled animation and certain characters were obviously rushed/not done. Some were amazing, cause they took their time, but others looked terrible.
Puran
I kinda wish Mappa was doing the anime though. Yuri on Ice had really nicely animated dances (and was more or less the only actually good quality of that show :P )
Puran
Reading the Ballroom e Youkoso manga has made me really excited about the Anime.
Kaiser_Eoghan
@Aidan: I'm particularly turned off by bully/bullying cliches these days. I've only read the first two volumes to see how awful she was but I ended up simply losing track of the series and stopped reading.
Kaiser_Eoghan
@Mario: Actually that has changed, I had to pick a different day to see it given changes in schedule, I've booked it for NEXT Wednesday now. I've watched Akira about four times.
Oh, Rising of the Shield Hero is getting an anime adaption. Hmmm...honestly after finishing the series and looking over it as a whole I am not sure I even want that. Plus seeing Bitch Animated...would fill me with rage.
I intend to re-watch Akira soon, probably this weekend. It has been almost 10 years since my first watch and now I don't remember much about that one. Thought it was intriguing and complex but not as acclaimed as people hyped it to be (I'll pick Ghost in the Shell anytime). Wonder how I'd feel now after re-watching it.
@Kaiser: I remember you mentioned that you were going to watch In this Corner of the World today right? How was the movie Kaiser?
Oh cool, food wars is getting a 3rd season
Ballroom youkoso appears to be leading the polls.
@Mario: Fumiko is a female mangaka yes. Also I found bokura no hentai worth reading.
yep, I finished that manga too and I have conflicted feeling about it. Yuri(!) part and fanservice are to blatant but they have a purpose. This mangaka (not sure but I think she's a girl) has some unique voice.
....well I skimmed that manga. And it was weird
By all appearances,Sakura is normal,albeit sheltered junior high school girl who enjoy talking about love and walking home from school together.However,they also happen to inhabit a strange and supernatural world populated by mysterious,gigantic beings and unusual plant and animal life.Amid their peaceful lives,Sakura becomes very interested in something only alluded to exist in old books: dicks
Here's a synopsis of other manga from the same author, I think you'll have a better idea of his theme -
Sakura no Sono
Pretty much what Masky said. I am not really praising it. Anyway I plan to read one or two more chapters to see where it's going. But if it's going in the direction I think it's going then I am dropping this one fast.
Kaiser_Eoghan
There is of course the underlying concern that it will go a very ugly route with that development or it could become edgy/horribly minipulative, but for now it is as mario said, a hook.
Well. overall I don't dislike what I read there. It has good hook and I'm intrigued to know more what the hell will happen. Good set-up for me. I'm in
@Masky: it's fine Masky, since I will chec itk out any way and see it for myself ^^
So since you guys started being interested, I checked it out and uh.. Yeah, not reading. I think ye guys misunderstood Aidans warnings since that was just fucked up and not in the interesting way.
@Aidan: Berserk will never again go more than 3-4 months without a hiatus.
Hmmm, that manga Cutie Mutie sounds good to me. I might check it out later today
@Aidan: But had you not alluded to that scene, I may have seen the cover of that manga and skipped over it.
@Aidan: I had a feeling, sort of, sad, I am intrigued to read more.
Hyping and warning are not the same thing.
Well with Aidan hyping up the horrors of cutie mutie I may as well glance at it to see what he' on about.
There are three manga with the name rec.
I am familiar with the artist for cutie mutie, she did that manga about the three kids dealing with gender/orientation issues.
Oh look Berserk is on Haitus again....
.....the sad thing is that it comes as expected now.
For reference the two I read were Cutie Mutie and Rec. Be warned, the first one goes to a rather uncomfortable level.
@Masky, Read two manga. One started lighthearted and then went to really dark territory. The other one looks like it's about a really dark subject but turned out to be something more lighthearted.
@Mario, Alright. Tested it now so it such be fixed. Try again.
@Aidan: Huh? What you read that turned dark/didn't turn dark? .-.
"too many answers selected for question 1! only 3 answers allowed!"
@Aidan: I still have the same issues. Weird
@Mario, Wasn't my intent. Try it now and you should be able to pick as many as you want.
@Aidan: I'm not allowed to vote more than 3 votes. Is it your intention Aidan?
Well that was weird. I read something that looked innocent but turned out to be really dark. Then something that looked really dark only to become innocent.
Yeah, nothing that interests me I see :D Like my strongest reaction to season preview was "Someone made isekai with smartphone? Really? REALLY? Thats best idea you had"
Ah Knighs and Magic, found that manga. It was boring enough for me to forget its name. Also besides being boring, I kinda find MC unlikeable since their only personality is that they like mechas and were a programmer before renicarnating as short bishie kid
Woo, time to vote stuff
@Kaiser: that movie In this Corner just getting more and more acclaimed huh? Thou I think it'a a type of movie that if you have high expectation for it you will likely be disappointed. It works best as a sleeper hit
As for cute monster girls, most of the time I don't find them cute at all. I know I'm being racist, but...
@Lenlo: I'm guilty with that cute girls genre, as i enjoyed K-On tremedously for example. Or If I have more time I'd follow Hinako Note this season ^^
They don't always adapt all that well or work as well outside of manga format, especially 4-komas.
*three
The only two of any interest were hidamari sketch, azumanga daioh and yuru yuri and that was largely down to being in the mood for them a few years ago.
@Mario: Personally, I have 0 interest in this Monster girls doing cute things subgenre, just like I have very little interest in the cute girls doing cute things major genre.
@Mario: As it turns out I DID read in this corner of the world. I'll also be seeing it next thursday.
@Kaiser: at this moment I'm very skeptical with the whole Monster girls doing cute girl subgenre, so I'm approachig Centaur with a caution. Of course, it all depends on how I feel after the first episode
@Kaiser: Happy End isn't as bleak aa his other works. But it's certainly Hanake's films, as it explores many of his favorite themes: the voyeurist of camera in his Benny's video, the detachment to the world and the underlying violence. Not his best thou but it's still very good
I think I'd be up for watching jigoku shojo, its been a long time since I watched the original two seasons and this one won't be as long, so it won't get as repetitive.
I voted centaur no nanami on the poll, think Mario could cover it.
@Mario: How did did you get on with Happy end? I heard its like a mix of his best works. Is it as dark and depressing?
I have vague memories of in the corner of the worlds manga, unless I'm mixing it up with something else.
Some news, Lu Over the Wall won the best prize at this year's Annecy (the 1st anime won the award since 1995's Pom Poko), with In the Corner of the World took the Jury Prize. Quite a good showing for anime this year.
@Anon, Hello.
Really, still no vote for Kakegurui?? I thought it would take the top poll for sure
That 18if, even the poster doesn't make much sense, but it looks dazzling ^^
go-go licensed products!
@Lenlo: and Madhouse is the studio behind that Marvel rip-off. Are they really going that low for profits?
Lookin forward to Kakeguri next season, but thats the only thing thats really caught my eye
Well, you have to watch Marvel next season right?
And done. I swear these previews take a lot out of me.
Almost done....almost done...
KT
Attack of Titan, ended ok. But man the production values had gone down.

Virgin Soul had a okish episde

Re:Creators continues to rock for me.
@Mario: I liked the 70s version ending, it was mean spirited =P
@Mario: The original used its one room location quite well and dim lighting in parts, very closed in/claustrophobic.
@Kaiser: just finished the Beguiled and it was much better than I expected. Like, I didn't expect it to be that well shot. The guy was put in a passive role than active here, which help the theme imo. Also, the ending admitedly isn't for everyone but I liked it just fine
@Kaiser: using a black girl? The girls in this one are all white :(
Sato in Re:Creators isn't doing himself any favors is he? Honestly the more I learn about him, the less likable he becomes.
It was a good film though, one of scarjos better moments.
@Mario: As for Sofia, I'm only familiar with lost in translation, which I haven't seen since it originally came out.
@Mario: Everyone goes on about Francis' for the Godfather, the conversation is massively underated and apocalypse now is better, but it has to be the theatrical cut.
@Mario: I guess it was probably seen as progressive in its day by way of using the black girl.
@Mario: Very very cynically 70s of course.
@Mario: Actually just happened to finish it there, I felt it stood out for its somewhat successful gothic feel and aesthetic and Eastwood's performance which shows how well he can command the audiences attention even when he isn't shooting people. Kind of liked how it got slightly grisly later on. It makes a small effort in giving one line backstories .
@Kaiser: the original movie isn't that well-received. It's more like an exotica film where the main guy (Clint Eastwood) hooks up girls of all ages. This one I heard has a good spin on feminist angle. I'm sure is intrigued but Sofia Coppola's filmography has been mixed for me
....I doubt any one has ever heard of this....I know I didn't, I haven't read it either but I came across some weird old Blacksploitation manga, probably from the 90s, Blast knuckle or something...
@Mario: Still remaking the beguiled might be good, we need more modern westerns.
@Mario: I suppose I can busy myself with the original 70s version of beguiled. At the moment I've been focusing on old Japanese films, they had such a good film industry, it makes it hurt so much more now knowing that all they do now is shit live action adaptations.
@Kaiser: gonna be a long day for me with the screenings of The Beguiled, Wind River, The Other Side of Hope and Happy End
Now I need to re-watch 08th ms team.
I watched 4 hours straight of Gundam the origin, hit me with a hard punch of nostalgia, actually seeing his backstory rather than hearing about it is a good thing, I enjoyed the action scenes, it was high-melodrama but well used and more Char is always a good thing.
I think I'll just put Kado on hold for now and see whats being said about future episodes of it, I'm too unsure of it being worth it or not at the moment.
I want to comment on a humble indie game called Sakuna of Rice and Ruin. Is a simple hack and slash similar to Muramasa and Dust: Elysian Trail. The game has a scarf mechanic that is very fun to use to evade attacks and throwing stuff. It kind of reminded me of those Mickey games from the Snes and the visuals reminded me of Pocky and Rocky. Its a game to play on a sunday, simple, fun and relaxing.
From the stuff I played Dragon Ball FigtherZ seems legit at capturing the speed of the battle and feel of the action.
Back from E3. Nintendo is still my main jam. The Rabbids game seems better than I think anyone could imagine. Odyssey seems like a good time. Xenoblade and Metroid 2 remake look like hype.
KT
On Gundam OG, the new Origin Manga, and the movies based on it are very good. Recommended.
I remember reading the first chapter of that manga, but it was a long time ago and the updates were slow.
A manga about Ballroom dancing? Yeah there's no way I am into this.
(Starts reading)
(Reads ten chapters)
Crap...I am into this.
Feel I need to re-visit gundam again through 08th MS team, unicorn and Origin as I'd enjoyed the 70s series, its sequel and chars counterattack. Seed turned me off the franchise for ridiculously long and 00s movie and second season wern't as good as the first .
Looks like I have another Yuasa work to look forward to, he's doing his own take off on Nagai's devilman , hopefully he can reign in Valvraves writer though.
*first manga in couple last weeks I've seen
Da fuq. Found manga called Kemono Jihen, but it somehow already has tv tropes page(I tend to check randomly whether works have tv tropes page to see how notable they are) O_o I mean this is first manga with 1-3 chapters that has that, so I guess author is really popular or something in some circles?
Huh. Guess they figured out rewriting a story for Re:Creators.
Ya know, even if i hadn't heard that Suka Suka is based on one of more tragic light novels, the death flags, all of the death flags :D
HelghastKillzone
I'm a patron of someone who is writing mass effect fanfiction at 2 million+ words. It combines games, writing and fan creativity. So there is that....
Ah, while I listened to some Lovecraft audiobooked, I felt as if I was copping out by listening instead of reading.
A horror manga often works well episodically in a short story format.
@Aidan: Had a flick through Shibito, of what I read I liked how ridiculously camp and gleefully, proudfully nutso it was combined with the silliness of the violence. While not my favourite chapter, the one about the actress stood out for me because she was clearly a reference to Setsuko Hara, one of Japans most famous actresses lol
I try out a number of things from time to time. Books, movies, music, comics and the like. But I always come back to anime.
I have dabbled in quite a few mediums myself. My recent experiment is audiobooks which I am currently using to get through Moby Dick. And Jesus H Christ is this book padded to hell and back. It may be well written but it is an awful story.
But what this film venture has shown me is that while I've gotten much out of it, it shows just how STRONGER the connection I have to anime/manga is.
@Mario: And definately, I don't get the "people focus on only one media thing". One of the reasons I started branching out was because I felt "Fuck, I'm in my 30s and I've neglected a whole medium by being too focused on cartoons"
The sign you're at something too long is when the suspense of waiting for the next part to come out isn't there or when you find yourself not picking up on whats going on!
Manga/visual novels/anime I've noticed especially now are much much easier to stay awake during when you're wrecked tired.
@Mario: And to be honest, I've gotten busier and more tired lately, getting home on a weekday later after a new job, I'm not alert enough to watch art films, just started leaving them till the weekend.
@Kaiser: I know exactly what you mean. That is one of the reason why I like to mix up what I watch: sometimes books, other time manga and even music to get me away from burning out from 1 medium
*eventually get back
The short of that is, I think a good scale back with ANY hobby is a good thing because it can feel special all over again when you get back on it more mainly.
But now that after three years of mainly focusing on films moreso than anime/manga as much, because I'm now incredibly burnt out from watching films 4 times a day, I feel now I can watch ANY anime or read any manga and get that fresh feeling/some of that old passion back.
Remember that feeling you got when you first really got into anime/manga and pretty much excitedly/panic watched EVERYTHING and almost everything felt great? I've been thinking how a few years back now, I sort of re-lived that feeling again...however for films.
(Finished watching SukaSuka 10)
Awwww...that was a sweet episode end....
.....
.....They are all gonna die.
@Aidan: Kids off school pressumably in Japan with more time to watch stuff and more shows.
God why is there so many anime during the summer season.
Of course there are the really obvious recommendations of Grand Blue and Kaguya wants to be confessed to.
I say the only other recommendations I got are Jagaaaaaan, Maou no Hisho, Ore wo Suki Nano wa Omae Dake ka yo and Yuuutsu-kun to Succubus-san. Though I still think Shibito no Koe o Kiku ga Yoi would be up your alley.
By all means keep posting random manga you've all come across, I will read them.
I thought route end did a good job on the protagonist's feelings regarding his mothers death.
Though my interest in Route is largely due to it was the most lurid of the selection.
I felt route end holds the most interest of that selection of recommendations, although before reading it I thought it would be an episodic manga, similar to a series called death sweeper.
@K-Off, well I think both the manga got handed down to the assistant, and the anime got handed down as well. The original author/director for both arnt working on Boruto
@Lenlo Probably, haven't checked. But the manga and anime are completely different so I don't know.
The Streisand effect in full force.
*Now the media...
No the media storms over it and eventually want to check out this film. It has gain more publicity after this shameless incident
oh god, really? Chinese government tried their best to force Annecy (Animation film Fest) to remove a Chinese animated film name Have A Nice Day from screening there because of its "sensitive content"
Still think Sawano needs to lay off the vocals. It can get really distracting in Re:Creators.
KT
oh my the RE:Creators OST is all I wanted.
Well, Boruto isnt being run by the original manga author is it? I thought he handed the series off after Naruto to his chief assistant.
The contrast between wanting to do something different yet using the same character traits is just too jarring.
Gave Boruto a shot, and while it isn't bad, it's so detached from the original series that it might as well have been unrelated. I appreciate that the plot is different, but the modern setting, and lack of any clear character motivations (for now) makes it such a chore to watch. If they were going for something different, why did they use the same character designs and archetypes?
Sorry guys for the delay of Eccentric Family post, just can't bring myself to finish the post. Not that many of you following the show but Yeah, I will plget it done later today. Also, hell yeah for Pluto. Urasawa is my God
@Aidan: I kinda imagine Isekai Shokudou would be like Time of Eve upon reading the synopsis. Like each week about some peculiar customers. Well, if they focus more on food, then... *heartbroken*
Two Metroid Game announcements and an anime of Pluto.
Today was a good day.
KT here:YES!
@Anon: One of his better works, despite reading it twice I've forgotten too much as its been too long since reading it, good though as when I watch the anime the manga won't be as fresh in my mind.
Urasawa's Pluto anime announced! Get hype! Looks like they're keeping designs faithful just like they did with Monster (at least judging from the poster)

ID-0 – 11 [Innocent Orbit]

I must say, despite my current worry from the direction ID-0 is heading towards the climax, we have another solid episode in our hands. Here’s one of the thing ID-0 continues to prove itself to be quite adept of: their pacing never drags. All the events progress gradually, and there aren’t many unnecessary scenes, if […]

Sakura Quest – 12 [The Dawn Guild]

Sakura Quest offers a pretty much Sakura Quest-esque this week, and I come to believe that this is a strong mini-arc to close-up the first half of its run. For the Tourism Board, the Manoyama Founding Festival will become their most ambitious project in term of scope they have encountered so far. Moreover, documenting the […]

Seikaisuru Kado – 10[Towanosakiwa]

So despite my aggravation with how the last episode ended, this episode starts of strong with how the universe was created and the anisotropic beings watching over it. The whole sequence was great and beautifully alien. That half of the episode explaining how Saraka ended up on end was actually very strong and despite the […]

Uchoten Kazoku 2 – 11 [The Blood of the Tengu, the Blood of the Fool]

The Eccentric Family again takes some solid steps to its final showdown. But let me address this first because I’m sure no one really see it coming. Soun comes back to life. A fake-out death? Seriously? Using fake-out death ALWAYS comes with a price, which is all the emotional investment we had for the death […]

Re:Creators – 11 [The Monster Under the Eaves]

Not surprising that this was a more subdued episode since the events of last week landed two and a half creations in the hospital. Given their bed-ridden state, Re:Creators takes it time in developing some new deep and profound ideas about creating works and resolves the quagmire that Sōta finds himself in the last few […]

Little Witch Academia – 24[The Road to Arcturus]

Hmmm….mixed feelings. There are parts I like about this episode but then there is this underwhelming feeling over how things have turned out. In general I like that the epicly named world reconstruction magic turned out to be just a stick that performs party tricks. Thinking about it it’s likely the decline of magic is […]

Shingeki no Kyojin(Attack on Titan) – 37[Scream]

I was all geared up to write up a post that this season of attack on Titan was mere lip service for a third season that may never come when I seen that there is indeed a third season of Attack on Titan on the way next year. So I could voice those same complaints […]

Tsuki ga Kirei – 10 [The Setting Sun]

Kotarou and Akane have reached a stage where they need to think hard about the long term of their relationship. Akane is about to move town, so how they going to keep up their relationship? Usually for a teenager’s romance it means the end. Full stop. LINE and texting can keep them for a while […]

Sakura Quest – 11 [The Forgotten Requiem]

Well, apart from Ririko suddenly can sing confidently, and sings really well on top of that, this episode ends in high note. In fact, that statement really sum up this week of Sakura Quest as a whole. Messy, a bit all over the place with too many elements, but they have very strong ending that […]

Window Horses (2016) Movie Review – 87/100

Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon (Winter 2017) Review – 74/100

Scum’s Wish (Winter 2017) Review – 80/100

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Review – 90/100

When you have watched a large amount of anime you can come to assume that you have learned a lot about Japanese culture. Though I think it’s testament to how limited it is to view Japan through anime when you come to realize that despite watching so much, you have never heard of Rakugo. Rakugo […]

Youjo Senki Saga of Tanya the Evil Review – 80/100

Isekai stories have become somewhat of a tiresome genre as of late. There have been many stories of people being transported/reincarnated into other worlds where they shed their once pitiful exterior and become some legendary figure in another world. In most cases it’s trit, balant childish wish fulfilment and the stories often become tiresome when […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. (Winter 2017) Review – 83/100

Imagine my utmost amazement when a show that I wasn’t that confident on taking in the beginning turned out to be one of the most solid offering this season had to offer. ACCA is the most recent anime adaptation from mangaka Natsume Omo, which despite isn’t a household name, many of her works (6 titles […]

Demi-chan wa Kataritai (Winter 2017) Review – 62/100

Demi-chan is one of the newest addition to the monster girl subgenre, which usually feature a human helpless male lead get stuck in a harem of mythical creatures, in form of oversized boob girls of course (why usually those monsters are in female forms anyways? Aren’t they sexless?). In this case, we have monster girls […]

Seiren (Winter 2017) Review – 51/100

Let me say this out front, Seiren is NOT a good show, it’s a highly uneven one. Throughout its run, I can see some solid moments and fresh ideas that could potentially raise it above the bar, but ultimately, view it as a whole, Seiren is a show that isn’t worth recommending. At first, I’m […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100