Posted by psgels on 2 July 2010 with categories: Kuroshitsuji II, Some Quick First Impressions

Mitsudomoe

Short Synopsis: Our lead character has to teach a class containing three really annoying problem children.
Granted, some of the jokes in this episode really were terrible, but this still is a series that turned out better than I expected. I thought that this would be another one of those dull moe series like there are so many of this season, but it actually got a number of chuckles out of me. There are a ton of problems in this show, and some parts are just plain wrong, but I admire that in the genre of moe comedies, it attempts to do things a bit different by having cute girls make no attempts at acting likable. There are a TON of fanservice jokes in this series, but think of it this way: who didn’t at the age of ten make tons of stupid sex jokes that you didn’t understand? At the moment, some jokes worked and others didn’t, so this series still can go anywhere at this point. The biggest problem with this episode was its forced stupidity. The teachers are supposed to be the straight men in this series, but at times they fail their job at building suspense of disbelief. At a certain point the girls all asked the male teacher to pull down his pants, and he just obliged to that request without questioning it, just for the sake of a small penis joke. As a straight man, you should build up some sense of realism that can be broken by the comedic characters. This guy is unfortunately too bland for that, and his female teacher love interest is just entirely terrible.
OP: Obnoxious, yet somehow catchy.
ED: Hmm, works surprisingly well.
Potential: 45%%

Shukufuku no Campanella

Short Synopsis: Our lead character is a mind-numbingly boring git.
I… have nothing. Seriously. What was that? It’s these kinds of series that really give anime a bad name. I already suspected that this show would be bad, but the depths that this series would reach were even beyond my imagination. This series is just… unbelievable in how incredibly dull it ended up to be. The characters, the dialogue, everything seems so designed to sap any sort of energy out of its viewers. The characters, and I mean EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM, become a goddamn chore to watch and listen to when they open their mouth. They just kept yapping and whining about the most pointless stuff, but the worst part was the way in which the creators seem really keen on reminding us viewer how incredibly beautiful the main cast is. Seriously, they just keep going on and on about that. The only way in which this show stands out is that girls can now get pregnant at the age of three. Worst show of the season BY FAR, this is pandering at its worst.
ED: Generic J-pop
Potential: -50%

Kuroshitsuji II

Short Synopsis: Our lead character has some sort of uber butler.
Okay, let me first explain how I went into this series: I have only seen the first episode of the original Kuroshitsuji, and I don’t really feel like checking it out at this point. The first episode felt too formulaic, it tried too hard to make Sebastien look cool and Ciel like a damsel in distress. It was too forced. However, with the new staff, new cast and new approach, I became interested in checking out the second season. And holy hell is it an improvement! I’m not sure whether I can watch or blog the rest of the series without knowledge of the first season, but nevertheless, this episode was wonderfully camp. The lead character here is an just crazy, and his butler here does things ten times crazier than what I saw in the first season. The scene especially between him and his maid was just…. WTF-worthy. And at the same time, the creators also managed to stuff in enough depth on the inner psyche of this kid, along with the weird relationship he has with his butler. It was wonderfully acted, it went over the top, yet it also had plenty of quiet and subtle moments that gave a ton of depth to these characters. Here’s definitely a big surprise this season.
OP: Standard J-rock, but very nice visuals.
ED: Nice ballad
Potential: 85%

1. reyan16 says:

you can definitely still watch this series without watching the first because they don’t have any connections to each other. It’s basically a totally new story from the first season with new characters and everything so yea

2. Anca says:

It’s because the Kuroshitsuji manga is blah. It became a lot better around the half-way point where they said “fuck this, we’re giving it our own plot.” You can recognise the anime-original episodes by their sheer awesomeness compared to the rest.

That’s why Kuroshitsuji 2 is likely good. They don’t even pretend to have a tangent with the manga anymore.

3. Firechick says:

A Kuroshitsuji series that’s BETTER than the first series??? How is this possible? My friends are fans of it and I respect it, though I myself am not a fan. I should probably tell them about this!

4. shirokiryuu says:

The original Kuroshitsuji to me, is a waste of a lot of potential. Just when things got interesting (like backstory) , it sidetracks to more boring things. Maybe it has some sorta deeper connection that was made after I stopped following it? I think for the second season, since it’s original from the manga, the director probably has more free reign on pacing and plot.

5. ShyBlue says:

Urgh. This IS about Sebastien and Ciel, and those two bored the crap out of me. If you watch the preview, Alois and Claude never come up again and Ciel wakes up. The other cast of the idiot trio and Lizzy is back. DX Oh god, and I was so excited too…

6. harumia says:

I just hope that for this second season they focus less on Ciel and more on these new characters that look so much more interesting ;0

7. Vera says:

Oh sounds good, being a fan of the original Kuroshitsuji (still reading the manga), I was wary of this one. Can’t wait to watch it … with subs :P

Just a note, the first few episodes of Kuroshitsuji (the original) are not really representative. The series did a rather “abrupt” turn after the first 4 episodes, and became much darker.

8. chounokoe says:

Please God…DEAR GOD…let the preview for the next episode be a lie.
    Why exactly did they have to heighten my expectations for a solid continuation of the Kuroshitsuji anime with new characters even further during the episode…only to crush it UTTERLY and COMPLETELY with that preview.

Yeah, I bet all the fangirls will be sqealing with glee that they can watch Sebastian and Ciel again…but good God, that opening and the episode was so good and the preview looks just…NOTHING like that.

So yeah, as it stands right now, this whole episode was a giant TROLL.

9. Defade says:

@chounokoe

Exactly my thoughts. I’m not such a big fan of the original series, but gosh this kid and his butler just just…I mean I love them so much already. But looking at the preview I just went ‘please let this be not true, please let this be not true’.

10. Firechick says:

I don’t think I’ll be watching Mitsudomoe…mainly because the 6th grade kids don’t even look like 11 year olds! They look like four-year-olds! And thanks for the warning about Shukufuku no Campanella.

11. DmonHiro says:

Wait….a show in which they keep going on and on about how beautiful the main cast it? OH MY GOD, THEY MAKE A TWILIGHT ANIME! RUUUUUUUUN!!!!!!!!!!

12. Roldan says:

I’ve got a question for those that saw the first episode of the new Kuroshitsuji anime.

are all the side characters idiots in it to like the original Kuroshitsuji? I’d watch if someone said no or atleast not as much.

13. DmonHiro says:

How should we know? The side characters haven’t done anything yet.

14. chounokoe says:

@Roldan: Well the cast of Kuroshitsuji 2 (if they really are the cast and not just a mockery) appears to be a whole level darker than what came across during the beginning of the original.

The master is poking his maids eye out, the servants seem generally petrified and there seems to be some level of child abuse going on in that family…
    So, yes, it COULD get a lot more serious than season 1. But only IF it is really the cast.

15. Roldan says:

@chounkoe thanks for the reply and let’s hope so. in case anyone’s wondering why i’m asking then i’ll tell you something. My sister started watching kuroshitsuji when it came out the first time and has got some crazy obsession with it.
    she owns all mangas from japan, all the english mangas and a lot other shit. after months of ignoring it i finally tried reading manga, i stopped reading when the cook started talking about superman. i tried the anime instead thinking maybe the humor fits better with voices.. i fell asleep. The premise is kinda interesting but the writing’s to how should i say it in a nice way, lazy. and this is from a guy that likes Katekyo Hitman Reborn!

16. Roldan says:

error for me. the cook referenced not talked about Superman. It’s still shit!

17. lalarhs says:

I think you’d better watch the first season before watching this one. The two season ARE connected because it left off from the first season (Ciel was revived afterall). I think the story will still be based on Sebastian and Ciel, however it’s most likely Alois and Claude will come back and act as the antagonists (judging by Alois sadsitic attitude). The first season had a slow start but the latter episodes showed their characters better (people tend to like the series after the Jack the Ripper arc).

18. Roldan says:

@lalarhs yeah, no. I’d rather just ignore it. worst set of side characters I’ve ever seen and I’ve seen Twilight (saw 2 episodes recently).

19. Solaris says:

It was just a matter of time and bad clones of Kodomo no Jikan, such said Mitsudomoe, would come and push the last line of decency to hell.

20. Puran says:

I didn’t spot Sebastian and Ciel in the OP. Was that OP just a big troll? Is this going to be about Sebastian after all? Are we supposed to be happy that it’s going to be about sebastian and Ciel?

I also liked the first episode, but as soon as Ciel appeared I was worried. And then there was the preview…

21. inkka says:

I watched original Kuroshitsuji likes five eps and I decided to dropped it.
    Hmm..For me It looks like ss1 is try too much to be the dark-mystery and psycho.But it fails. The cast is too much happy to be psycho.(Sometimes they tried to looks cool too. Hey this isn’t the reverse harem anime. -_-“)They are too much funny…And some that going to be psycho in the last look..unnatural.

But This ss2 theme and atmosphere really change in the right way.(At least watched op and see how much it’s different! I love it too much.)

Yeah…some moments look funny.But it blows naturally and fit the dark feeling perfectly.And the psycho moments is Oh Wow…It’s make me utter loudly.(Ah..Hanna so pitiful.)if you wanted to do some of crazy moments.You should can do in this level!
    and when you learn some of backstory of Alois.Some crazy moment suddenly looks acceptable and interesing.And his relationship with his butler is interesting too.

But preview ah…..I know many fangirls are happy about this.But for me it’s not! I hope the old cast will be only at side character.I didn’t wanted them to ruined this perfect atmosphere.NOooooooo.

22. NguyenSon says:

I don’t think Mitsudomoe is a clone of Kodomo but I did find that its jokes (manga) became way too repetitive. There was some “originality” in vol1 but the rest was just boring.

23. Leanie says:

I at least have to give the animation company that made Mitsudomoe props. Not bad for their first ever production. (I think it’s their first, right?) I wrote about Shukufuku on my (really new) blog, too, but mostly I was just flabbergasted that the male lead was, well, cool.

24. Bruce says:

Kuroshitsuji II’s first episode was so wonderfully twisted and dark. But that preview… it was so terrible. I’m hoping it’s just a misleading joke preview. If not… I don’t think I’ve been trolled that hard since Ga-Rei Zero.

25. chounokoe says:

@Bruce: But at least Ga-Rei Zero’s troll led somewhere good (at least in my opinion) and not so much less dark and twisted.
    Yet the troll of Kuro II might lead us down the path of the same nonsensical drivel that held back the first season until Angela appeared…
    YES, I’m one of those people who actually liked the anime more than what the manga did.

Yeah I like the current Detective-Fiction arc in the manga, but the circus arc for example was terrible…and the manga still seems to be going nowhere except for those few moments at the end of each arc.

26. Bruce says:

Yeah, Ga-Rei’s first episode sucked me in, while this… eugh.

27. lalarhs says:

@ Roldan:
    I understand why you hate the side characters, they truly are idiotic. The point of them was to balance the dark atmosphere with comedy. But obviously, it’s not your taste of humour (I was able to ignore them somehow).

Either way, I still think it’s worth giving season 2 a shot since I think you can manage without the first season. Plus, I admit Alois is so much more interesting to watch. Problem is they may return with eps which are solely about Ciel and Sebastian again. Guess the only advice is to simply watch and see.

28. BlandUserGsEf says:

Actually about Kuroshitsuji II, Alois and Claude aren’t going to be one episode characters! You might want to read this though:(http://hyper-parfait.blogspot.com/2010/07/kuroshitsuji-2-yana-tabosos-journal.html)

Is it possible to be self aware of your lack of self awareness?
Seiren is worse than I've hoped, but I still want to finish it, along with Demi-chan and Dragon maid
Onihei I will give it another episode but the episodic nature doesn't grab me as much anymore. I will follow Hand Shakers because for Christsake it's just something else
I enjoyed Akiba's trip (still fun to see an anime that inspired by other anime and appeal to anime fans only), Masamune-kun no Revenge (2nd episode wasn't good but the 3rd was alright), Urara and Gabriel Dropout but that's the end of my trip on them
Okay, since we reached the 3rd episodes (man, don't tell me we already passed a quarter of this season already), I'll give you a bit of recap on what I've been following this season:
Guess we can put that down as one of the most important things a critic needs. Self Awareness.
@Anon, I won't deny having an inflated sense of worth but Nostalgia blindness? You are reaching man.
Just like you :)
Anyway I never heard of this guy and he seems like the usually case of Nostalgia blindness and inflated sense of worth. Nothing really worth concerning ourselves about.
"How can I be pretentious when I mean everything I say?" Oh silly silly fool. Being an idiot doesn't mean you can't be pretentious.
I bring him up because I feel he'd be more controversial than Tenka seiha/aroduc or digibro.
Roriconfan/thatanimesnob/Peter Malousis: [link src="https://www.youtube.com/user/ThatAnimeSnob
I don't know who would that be either Kaiser? A V-blogger?
Who?
We talk about digibro on here, yet we never talk about Rorico.
I agree
Shitcunt is the greatest anime villain of all time. End of argument.
Best villain was clearly JJ. JJ is actually the best character for every category.
@SuperMario, I just felt there was some social context to the discussion with the boss that I missed.
Bah, haven't you heard, the best villain category was for the dictionary in Lost passage, must have been bastard-hard effort getting that compiled =P
To sum that up, don't bully my waifu or I will end you.
@Mario, She only killed him once and tortured him for information once. Both times because he had something which showed he had a connection to the witch. Besides, the anime mainly showed off her good points but she still has a crushing inferiority complex and a rather delicate mindset.
Oh I have one. How about Lovepon? lol
@Topgavin: it was sarcasm actually, if we do it again next year we might cut down some categories. But I totally agree that we're lacking of good villains. Biba and that teacher are the worst as they actually dragged their shows down.
Honestly though there's been a real lacking of good villains last year. I hear some guy from Jojo was pretty good, but other than that they've either been okay or lackluster. Makes you wonder how FMA:B managed to get so many villians right in so many ways when shows usually fail to get even 1 half as good.
@Supermario Biba or Teacher-dude from Erased surely...
Maybe we should include the best villain next time, haha. I honestly don't know who to pick...
oh Rem, that demon girl who tried to kill Subaru many times over. Why is she the best girl again?
@Kaiser: I watched Moonlight last night in cinema and it was great. I had high expectation for that and it pretty much delivered. Also Janelle Monae was so freaking hot.
OMG, that 3rd episode of Rakugo was so greattttt. @Lenlo: don't need to understand the meaning of the rant thou, Yotaro doesn't understand either
Think of the fine children/breeding stock Aidan and rem would offspring =P
Dye their hair, make things confusing ;)
@Anon, hahahaha, cool joke bro.....
...............................Don't make me destroy you.
The one with red hair of course
rem? who's that?
Having read the books, theres afew inconsistencies and I dont like some of the choices for actors.
*couldn't
Buh buh but Aiiiidan you still have the koe no katachi movie and thaaats kyoani =P But lol phantom world was so poor I couldn't get past the second episode. A shame that they could go with the darker spin the author ended up apparently going for in later volumes.
@Lenlo, I am currently eh on it as well. Only at the second episode so far. I find it interesting but it has a lot of things that turn me off.
7 YEARS I SAT ON THAT BOAT!

Still havnt finished Flip Flappers. I like it, its pretty, each episode is different, but I can barely tell what the over-arching narrative is and thats a big deal to me
ITS REAL
BOAT TIER
@Aidan, Series of Unfortunate Events was eh. I wasnt a big fan of the TV adaptation, though I did like Neil Patrick Harris
@Lenlo: BOAT TIER lmao.
Thats why I LOVED flippflappers so much, where else can I get THAT anywhere, totally its own thing/beast.
My big ones for the year were easily Rakugo and Re:Zero. Disappointments, biggest one is Berserk. Ive been following it for years, have the entire series on my shelf, and I watched it like a captain going down with his ship
At the same time well, yes its still good to see a non-highschool story in ANYTHING.
Ah, you see I don't really award points to an anime doing something unique to anime, I judge by all mediums as a group/whole. 91 days may be a mafia drama, kabaneri may be a zombie show but theres already plenty of those in the world elsewhere.
I could see myself getting some oldskool charm out of alderman if I watched it. I was waiting for yuri on ice to be dubbed. Drifters for all its problems was some of the most fun I've had in ages.
The only thing I saw that I truly abhorred though was the new shinkai film.
Most of the other stuff I didn't really bother watching. Its pointless for me to shit on about 91 days and re:zero because I was guaranteed to dislike both before seeing either.
Biggest disappointments for me were erased , berserk and joker game. Whereas my surprise was lost passage. My favourites of the year were flippflappers and Rakugo. I wanted Kabaneri and dimesion w to save anime and bring back some oldskool charm but that didn't happen.
Alright I spent over an hour formatting this thing and now I am knackered. Readers, this summery is over 23 pages long so be prepared as this thing is pretty huge. Don't say you were not warned.
@Kaiser, Watch it. I bet it will be up your alley.
Thats a problem with adaptations, put a voice on certain characters and it can become irritating.
And to be fair on scums wish, that it deals with the sex bit in a teen story, well that makes it more daring and thats points for it.
@Aidan: Largely stayed away from that series as I assumed it was for young children.
@Aidan: Additionally the relationships in that manga got too convoluted, the comedy stands out worse in the anime too. Still though I DO dig the idea behind the show of two kids who are in a fake relationship.
@Kaiser, you think that's hard to watch try watching Netflix's A series of unfortunate events. Because boy do I want to brutally murder the banker and his family. That may sound severe to you but trust me, you will feel likewise.
@Aidan: You were right about it being harder to watch scums wish than read it. I want to hit the twin tails girl with a hatchet.
I'm laughing now remembering an old ANN review where they stated golgo 13 was a stress reliever for 30 something Japanese office workers, I get that so much more now lol
But seriously violence in fiction, anime/manga included is so damn therapeutic.
As such I genuinely was able to enjoy the new M night shaylman flick lol
Venting here largely because I can, I now imagine the teenage/twenty something audience members at horror/thriller films as the victims in the films, makes it more tolerable to deal with their existence in the cinema.
I cant help but feel theres some cultural aspect I am missing to the Rakugo rant scene. Makes me sad.
Rakugo, continues to be great and gets another time skip. Im always surprised by how engrossing it is just listening to these people talk.
Makes me sad, just like Berserk. Got an entire shelf dedicated to it but its just so slow. stupid boat.
Vagabond was phenomenal, but its been on hiatus for years now hasnt it
....well without spoiling towards the middle of that rakugo episode and all throughout during that middle part, my opinion on Yotaro's character went far up.
Struggling to remember the name of that josei samurai manga from the 90s (or earlier 2000s), had a gender bending theme.
I've already read kenshin and vagabond, I loved shigurui death frenzy and sword of the stranger but found samurai champloo uneven. Theres a kagemusha manga but I haven't read it and I've yet to see/read blade of the immortal.
At a glance I'll go against the grain and say I think demi-chan is funnier than konosuba, going on one episode of each.
I've been watching a fare share of samurai films in the last two years and lately so I'm open to wathing more anime/reading manga dealing with samurai.
Hand Shakers, how I love to watch it jumping off the cliff. This show contains lines like "I don't understand... even if I did understand... but I don't understand." It isn't a dialogue that we encounter too often I'm sure.
@Mario, Sounds good to me. With me covering Little Witch Academia, Saga of Tanya the evil and Rakugo this season is well covered.
so I've decided to blog 3-gatsu, Scum's Wish and ACCA this season. A bit worry about the latter as I still don't have much to talk about that. Let's try it and see what happens; I say
Okay, I'm not hot on Onihei this week, as if the main theme about these two episodes were "people can be corrupted" then I'm not buying it. ACCA, on the other hand, was still very solid of building up the world and its big events to come.
I have played all the big roguelikes and found they have the same problem. I argee on procedural generation. Even if the map is different every time you are essentailly going through the same rooms and doing the same things.
Though to be honest, I don't like procedural(or designed room and then game connects them randomly) games much. I much enjoy hand designed dungeons since I rarely play games through more than once anyway so roguelike's appeal of "Every time you play it through its different!" doesn't appeal to me much and hand designed dungeons are much more memorable
Can't really comment further on that since I don't know which roguelikes you have played, and neither I have played gungeon so I don't know if its badly designed to the point you can't do anything if rng says so. Though I guess there is nothing wrong about liking luck based games, if roguelike in question is truly unbeatable if rng says so, well, its really badly designed one if you ask me.
Take my last run. Made it up to the fourth floor. Got plenty of guns but none were really useful. Even then ran out of ammo for all of them and the game was cheap about giving out ammo. Plenty of money but shops with nothing worth buying. Over 5 heart containers but no goddamn health. Died on the boss because I rolled out of a bullet into another bullet. Pretty much unavoidable.
@Masky, that's the theory but in pretty much every roguelike I played its not the case. If the RNG decides you are going to have a bad time then you are going to have a bad time. Skill can only bring you so far. I have played this game for 7 hours and I know I could have finished it in 2. Only thing stopping me is a dice roll.
Like, the thing with roguelikes is that they can get easier/harder depending on luck, but well done one should be completable even without any upgrades at all if you are skilled enough.
Thats not the really case with roguelikes though, unless game design is bad and includes insta kill traps and such that are unavoidable if you are unlucky
I hate roguelikes. Been playing enter the Gungeon and I just lost all patience with it. Getting real tired of my victory being decided by a RNG. It never feels satisfying to finish a roguelike because I know my victory was determined by pure luck.
So we got to rely on fansubs for it when it's airing.
@Mario, Nope. I think because netflix only puts up full seasons they are only planning to put it up when it's finished airing. Or when it's dubbed.
But how does the Netflix thing work? So of I have a Netflix account I can watch the show weekly?
@Aidan: that's a dumb way to do things really because unless you watch the show weekly, everyone gonna forget that it even exist. Just look at Re-Life last year
thought*. Words are hard.

Eventually found the actual first ep though and enjoyed it.
Was funny. I tried to find the first Ep for Little Witch, found original short made afew years ago, watched it and though "This is very similar to the original... Whats new".
Little witch is one of the best shows this season and yet I can't get subtitles because Netflix doesn't release shows weekly. Motherf*cker.
Ore Monogatari I enjoyed. It was a nice romance that actually explored what happens after the confession. Also the 2 leads are just precious.
Alright but unmemorable seems like a good summation.
@Lenlo: one good thing about Seiren is if you don't like this romance, the whole thing gonna reset after episode 4 so there's a chance that you might end up like it. Agreed that the comedy wasn't very good. Alright but unmemorable
@Topgavin: I watched like first 3 episodes and stopped because I didn't have much time there, but I enjoyed what I saw. A well-written and endearing show in my book
Has anyone here watched Ore Monogatari before? Because in the 4 years I've watched anime, I've never heard of it (I guess it did come out 2 years ago) and yet it's turning out to be one of my favorite shows. Always great going into a show expecting nothing and getting pleasantly surprised.
Only one more impression to go. Should have it up tomorrow.
Im really not feeling Seiren. Its "comedy" isnt for me and I just dont find it very enjoyable to watch so far. Im curious if it gets any better but 2 episodes in it just isnt that good.
HelghastKillzone
That ending scene is an entire side-story compressed into that. Don't expect anymore of it from here on out as the it sticks to ruthless military/fantasy pretty well.
LookingForKeys
@Topgavin I think it was good, making it the second episode. That way the first set up the world the story will be in, and showed how much of a monster the "little girl" really is right at the end, and then made ep.2 the explanation. Nothing against Tanya trying to rip "God" a new one.
That after-credits scene, though...
Hmm, as much as I like Seiren's omnibus format, it doesn't turn out really hot this second episode. Demi-chan, on the other hand, still maintains its endearing tone. Might blogging Demi-chan instead
Yeah, that second episode was much better than the first. Dunno why they didn't start with that to be honest, waste of an opportunity for a good hook episode. The voice for the main girl still sounds weird to me though; I get it's supposed to sound weird because it symbolizes 'her' being out of place and her personality and body being a mismatch, but it'll certainly take some getting used to.
Youjo Senki, now we are talking. Like Helghast said, Did the god scene way better than the LN and manga. Made it less comedic and more intimidating.
Oh man that Rakugo intro. Not sure what to think, but first time seeing it I liked it
I sort of like good will hunting because I kind of saw a bit of myself in Damon's character when I watched it ages ago.
@Mario: Remaking psycho and ruining the shower scene, for shame van sant, for shame.
Its easy to ripoff some obscure thing though and get away with it. The dogtooth director essentially stole an old Mexican film to make that.
@Kaiser: yeah, that following some guys from behind like they were on a RPG games, which I think actually fit with the tones of Elephant. I have such mixed feeling with Gus van Sant too. Don't really think he's a great director.
@Mario: Although Istvan Szabo is probably a little more well known for that Mephisto film that updates the Faust story. Zoltan Fabri's the fifth seal is a very thought provoking war movie.
@Mario: I remember seeing a film documentary that featured Gus van sant in one section, they showed clips of tarrs films, Sant ripped of the cinematography and stole the style from some British short film to make Elephant.
@Kaiser: agree on the other Hungarian filmmakers, I don't know much about them either.
@Mario: Scorsese's Silence was a big comeback. I really really emotionally connect with spiritual crisis stories.
@kaiser: yep, definitely check wreckmeister down. Althought I admit that watching his 2-hour plus films will feel like 5-hour anyways
@Mario: I'm more tolerant of darker teenage/coming of age films/stories. Les Demons was a big surprise.
@Mario: Though its kind of frustrating, I do think Tarr probably takes attention away from other hungarian filmakers because no-body knows who the hell the others are.
@Mario: Man, wreckmeister was so visually arresting I started getting dreams from it.
@Mario: I would consider Tarr to be kind of a poor mans Janco, Angelopolus and Tarkvosky rolled into one. I don't entirely "get" wreckmeister and man from London but they are great atmospheric mood piece experiences.
@Kaiser: I had been wanting to watch Belar Tarr's Turin Horse and Werckmeister Harmonies for so long now. Well, Fat Girl is shocking haha, but I'm normally drawn into those kind of films anyway.
@Kaiser: Margaret took like 5,6 years to release because he couldn't cut it down in the way he wanted. The final cut if I remembered correctly was edited by Martin Scorsese
@Mario: Only a HDcam for moonlight now.
I looks like my lineup is witch academia, rakugo and youjo senki, well the most latter one until I get bored.
@Mario: I sense a directors cut for manchester, it feels like it need another 30 minutes.
@Kaiser: right up my valley. Watch Kenneth Lonergan's previous works Magaret and You Can Count on Me. Magaret is very messy but have a raw dialogue and interactions as well
Now the first episodes are over, I will keep on covering 3-gatsu, as for the other twos atm I have 3 options: 1) full romance/anti-romance high school Seiren/Scum's Wish. 2) slice-of-life moe monster girls Demi-chan/Maid Dragon and 3) Mature,dark Onihen/Acca (which although I like them I don't have much to talk about).If you guys have any preference on which shows you like covered then let me know
@Helghast: At this point I'm watching youjo senki as an entertaining guilty pleasure.
@Mario: Too many reboots upcoming, will wait for the dvds instead. I want to explore more of manchester by the sea's director's work. I also want to finally get more into Bela Tarr's stuff.
@Mario: I was rather shocked by A Ma souer/fat girls final act. Scenes with the Italian in the bedroom were initially creepy.
@Kaiser: it's a nice review Kaiser, a bit jealous with you that you've seen those 3 films which are touted as the best films of 2016. Also Fat Girl, haha, I love that movie.
Poor yotaro =< you have so much stuff going down on you =<
HelghastKillzone
Youjo Senki episode was so good today. That revamped scene with God just fitted so right.
A official release of that game in the west is apparently coming but it's been a few years and not much news about it.
@Aidan: Ah yes that was the one.
@Kaiser, Had to think for a moment on that one but I think I was talking about this. https://vndb.org/v3144
Now I'd hardly consider myself a studio trigger fan, but I watched the first witch academia episode there, it was actually kind of fun, got the same reaction from me as flipflappers did, that magical, special feeling.
@Mario: I also, of interest reviewed Kenneth Lonegrans new film: http://letterboxd.com/shao_liu_ringon/film/manchester-by-the-sea/
@Mario: Moonlight got some feels out of me though it could of been more, it ends abruptly and with 20 extra minutes they could have spent a bit more time on each section of his life.
@Mario: I checked out lala land, ending was very well executed, one of three scenes in the film that were impressive visually. The whole thing looked pretty and Gosling and Stone had some decent chemistry. Although it didn't resonate emotionally as strongly as the musicals of Jacques Demi did.
MOM I want aiyoku no eustia and I want it now.
I've never heard of himawari or tokyo babel. The hellsing comparison at least interests me in dies irae. What was the name of that visual novel again that was coming out soon, Aidan you described it as "And Kaiser would love it because its supposed to be really fucked up".
I vaguely remember the anime for 11 eyes, it was very forgettable, even the voice acting was poor, hated the childhood friends and the pacing was poor, those black knight things were kind of interesting though.
@Aidan: You'll have to add me onto the list of those unsatisfied with the ever 17 writer, I read one of those games and felt it was a bunch of interesting bait that never paid off.
Anyway I plan on doing a review of 11eyes here when I finish it.
Can't say I was a fan of Ever17. That was a really good twist but when it came to explaining it their was a lot of contrived development. Generally not a fan of the writer. Looseboy, Ryukishi, Gen and Nasu are more my kinda thing
@Anon, it is nice that so many VNs are on steam but I wish they wouldn't be stupid with the whole no adult content thing. Not so much for myself but to prevent idiots from writing negitives reviews because the game doesn't have sex. VNs can grip you in a way anime simply can't and while they require pathence and time those can be some pretty powerful stories.
@Aidan, I am so happy steam's so VN-friendly now. I think it's a very good type of media. Like anime, it has nice visuals, music and some movement but also the inner monologue and text amount of books. It's the perfect combination. Plus, the routes, which are often puzzle pieces and PoVs you have to go through to understand the whole story. True routes like the one of Ever17 blew my mind.
Hopefully the two VNs I bought of steam turn out better. Tokyo Babel is supposed to be alright and I heard really good things about Himawari.
I am about a third of the way through the game and really not much of worth has happened. The concept is interesting but the execution is sorely lacking.

Scum’s Wish – 02 [I’m here for that warmth]

Welcome to the roller coaster of the emotional manipulative anime of this season, are you with me on this ride? Scum’s Wish has the exact opposite issues with ACCA in that it tries to overwhelm us with lots of raw feelings that sometime it touches the line of manipulation. This episode, fortunately, still pretty much […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. – 02 [The Partner in Crime’s Name is Nino]

I admit that although I think ACCA is one the most solid show this season and I in particular like how they set up the settings and the events to come, the first two episodes didn’t grab me that much personally. As a result, in prepare for this post, I went ahead and watching them […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 15

It was inevitable that Yotaro’s past with the Yakuza would come back to haunt him but boy did it really bite him in the ass. I was wondering as to how the show would work with Yotaro and give him conflict but then this episode comes along and gives him plenty to worry about. He’s […]

Little Witch Academia – 02[Pappiliodya]

I may regret choosing to cover this series as what makes it great is a quality that cannot really be held up to professional scrutiny. Much like Triggers other works, it’s not what’s being presented that matter but rather how it’s presented. You can make the argument that Trigger doesn’t necessarily innovative but rather take […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 13 [Black River (part 2) – Beyond the Door]

This week we have 2 disjoined chapters, which are different in tones and more importantly in their point of view. We go through the first section from Smith-san perspective detailing his own thoughts towards the match against Gotou, and the latter part Rei took the stage, being on his way to challenge Gotou in next […]

Saga of Tanya the Evil – 02[Prologue]

As I initially thought, this series becomes a whole lot better when you can see the disparity between the main protagonists thoughts and how those around her view them. The first episode jumped ahead in the story to where Tanya had established herself somewhat and I believe the intent was to mislead the audience with […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2, Chaos;Child, Marginal#4 KISS Kara Tsukuru Big Bang and Scums Wish

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2 Short Synopsis: Kazama stands trial after accidentally blowing up a lord’s manor while saving the town. This show certainly hasn’t lost it’s charm. I had the biggest smile on my face while watching and it even managed to get me laughing out loud at points. I will admit […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Onihei, Gabriel DropOut and ACCA – 13-ku Kansatsu-ka

Onihei Short Synopsis: A captured thief joins the police to hunt down his old leader. For a studio’s first work this is quite a solid offering. The beginning reminded me of samurai champloo though this seems more a traditional samurai story. Animation isn’t anything too impressive but it does the job and there is some […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Hand Shakers, Kemono Friends and Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon

Hand Shakers Short Synopsis: A boy holds the hand of a girl he finds in a hospital room and ends up in a supernatural battle to the death. GoHands, you know what would be great? If you know, instead of slapping on lens flares and colour filters all over the place, you just don’t do […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100