Posted by psgels on 8 July 2010 with categories: Kuroshitsuji II

Okay, so in this season my method of choosing the series to blog is going to differ a bit from the previous season. In the past spring season, I was pretty much juggling with the series that I wasn’t too sure about, until I was happy with the series that I ended up with. This season I’m still going to cover twelve anime, meaning that I’ll pick up the seven most interesting new series. However, whenever they end up disappointing or too much of a chore to write about I just drop them so that I can get some extra time, watching some of the older series that I’ve been meaning to check out.

Because honestly, this episode was pretty terrible. The two new characters really were fantastic: Claude and Alois were incredibly fun to watch, and I really want to know more about them. That’s the reason I’m blogging this series. And this is also why I’m willing to try out this series as an experiment, without having watched season 1.

Because after this season, I really don’t want to watch more of Ciel and Sebastien than necessary. Together, they’re decent, but bland. The biggest problem however, is that their friends are all annoying stereotypes and especially Ciel’s fiance is just a complete moron without any personality. This episode also just made no sense, and lacked the attention to detail that made that first episode so good. A flood appears from nowhere. Instead of running away, the characters just stand there like it’s nothing. The fiance somehow finds it a good idea to climb on a boat. There is a dam to which water flows from both sides (how the hell does that work?) and after the flood is over, it really completely disappears. It leaves no marks, or scars to the landscape, conveniently for the plot of the episode like nothing even happened.

The first episode worked because it was so incredibly camp, yet well executed, creative and shocking. The servants were all well characterized and stuff. I’m glad to see that in this link, it becomes clear that Alois and Claude will form a big part of the second season, but it also seems a post that’s mostly focused on calming down the fans of Sebastian and Ciel, portraying them as the good guys.

This really has me worried, because good guys generally tend to get more airtime than bad guys. On top of that, I also really don’t hope that the OP is spoiling the entire plot of this series. Also, didn’t Ciel supposedly die at the end of the first season? Good luck in trying to write that into the series correctly…

Oh, and for those who were wondering: there was no iota of Claude and Alois in this episode.
Rating: — (Lacking)

1. chounokoe says:

They don’t care about explaining much away as it seems. Sebastian just likes Ciel so much he revives him…I would be glad if there is another reason behind it, but I dare to doubt.

Concerning Elizabeth and the servants…yes.
    They got wonderful development at the end of season 1 and actually matured when they learned not to be dependent on Ciel and Sebastian, but see them as an important part of their lives.
    Especially Elizabeth was added to by the fact that Ciel died…too bad she never noticed and can easily go back to be the frolicking bag of rabid sugarstars…that I so despised in season 1.

And in case you don’t mind getting the end of SEASON 1 SPOILED.

Yes, the pact between Ciel and Sebastian was fullfilled when the murderer of his parents was eliminated by Sebastian. Thus Sebastian brought him to the Underworld and took his soul…
    I thought that was a wonderful twist even though it was shocking and I loved season 1 for the guts it appeared to have…now it’s all down the drain.

2. DmonHiro says:

“The servants were all well characterized and stuff.”

Excuse me? Well characterized my butt. We didn’t learn a damn thing except Alois is a psychotic brat (and that’s awesome) and Claude is almost perfect. We don’t know anything about Hana or the triplets, so how can you say they were all well characterized? The triplets didn’t even DO anything.

3. Arthurius says:

Too early to judge as to what really transpired there but season1 was a really solid show.Sure it has it’s flaws with a lot of fluff and Smexy Sebastin but at it’s core Kuroshitsuji delivered a solid plot with a lot of unpredictability and dare I say some really eerie and emotionally charged episodes(The queen anyone?)

All that aside,I think you really should give season 1 a shot Psgels.Not only will this change your perception of the characters and the show but judging by your tastes I’d say this would be right up your alley and turn out to be one pleasent surprise:D

4. Bruce says:

Oh god no.. they seriously did this. I can’t believe it.

I guess I’ll be holding off on this for a while.

5. Ebod says:

Goddamn it, and the first episode was so good too. D:

Oh well, maybe that means we’ll get to see the circus arc animated then… that was a bloody chilling arc.

6. Moonhawk says:

Hm… I guess I’ll be skipping the next few episodes and then watch the first 5 or 6 episodes at once.

I didn’t like the first episodes of Kuroshitsuji 1 but after giving it a second shot after abot 15 episodes had aired I really got hooked when I watched them directly one after another.
    Somehow the good points were shining through much more when watching it in a piece instead of having to wait so long in between the episodes. It just felt… better to watch it that way. More complete. Can’t really describe it.
    Guess it was just that the not so good scenes didn’t weigh so much, when looking back at a larger sum of watched-anime minutes.
    Like it’s annoying to have 3 bad minutes each episode but having “only” 9 minutes while watching over an hour of anime is rather enjoyable.
    And in the later parts it got really good. I even got to like the servants after the infamous episode where their true nature came through.
    And I also liked the ending. I mean, when it was there I was like “WTF? Did they really do this?!” but I kinda liked t because it fit with the whole context.

So now I’m a bit biased as to like the idea of a revived Ciel or not.
    But I guess, if they do come up with a plausible reason for this, this 2nd season could become pretty good.
    It seems in that announcement that they really have put some effort in how it could be continued and even went as far as announcing the season as if Ciel wouldn’t appear, well aware that they might be loosing a lot of potential viewers with this.

The only thing I’m worrying about that it might become a bit too much of a cliché fight evil-bastard-kid vs. once-evil-but-has-gotten-his-revenge-kid.
    I mean, right now they are just a bit too much as exact opposites. In the first season, Sebastian was the evil part of the duo, this time it seems to be Alois.
    I just hope it won’t end up in some cheesy good vs evil stuff.

But well…
    I won’t judge anything after two episodes.
    Last time I thought the anime wasn’t my thing and after trying it again I came to really like it.
    So I guess I’ll just wait and see what this second season will come up with.
    It is, after all, an anime original, which gives me hope, because I really liked what they did in the first season, when they differed from the manga.
    And they took some huge risks with the way they introduced this series, so they must have some good ideas up their sleeves (or at least think so)… so I’m really willing to give this season a chance as well.
    Let’s hope the best! :D

7. Buddy Waters says:

This was the single worst episode in either season, which is baffling, since the first episode was better than anything in season one. Some mixed signals there. If we’re going to focus on Ciel and Sebastian, they need to keep hammering what worked so well in the back half of the first season, not indulge in the worst bits of the first half exclusively, at the cost of any context or continuity.

8. Suu says:

Meh. I was expecting this much. I sort of head-desked the moment Sebastian/Ciel even reappeared. Like Chounoke said it ruins what little good came out of the ending of last season which was probably the only part that stuck true to story. Sebastian wanted to have Ciel’s soul and despite what occurred along the way, he was still just a demon who just wanted a soul and got it.

I think missing the first season may have had you miss how it ‘also’ started out interesting and then pitfalled into disaster. My expectations of anything else that could’ve continue out of that mess wasn’t very high.

Claude and Alois weren’t new or really new or great ideas to begin with. The fact that it can’t at least be a stand-alone to do something new (and that the old plot has to be dragged back up from the dirt) just made it so much worse.

9. Defade says:

No Alois and Claude? Oh, just what I feared. Dammit.

But hopefully Alois and Claude will play a bigger role, just as the blog had promised, and not just a ‘make Sebastien and Ciel seem better and then get curb stomped’ enemy of the week kind. Because even though the blog entry promised more A&C and claimed the to be important as well, 90% of the entry is pretty much as you said – dedicated to fans of Sebastien and Ciel, calming them down etc.

And hell yeah I’d like to see them dig themselves out of the ‘Ciel came back to life’ hole, because even though I dropped season 1 I heard that Sebastien took Ciel’s soul, so…

10. Suu says:

@moonhawk: This was actually what I was fearing too. The “new” evil kid vs antihero kid battle. I think its inevitable since Alois seemed to want Ciel for whatever reason. (or was he just being a fanboy?)

What’s worse is that it just reminds me of how little Alois might give us. It’s bad enough that Claude like Sebastian is just… perfect. Nothing “more” added to the butler character really. But Alois’ only good feature is his psychoticness. Outside of that he falls into that stereotypical brat you would expect out of a character his age, especially given a lot of power. The kind of character I’d hoped Ciel wouldn’t be when the series first started.

He’s still got the potential for a good character, but he was sort of sporadic and its something more screen time might solve.

11. lalarhs says:

I wasn’t very impressed by this episode either. I’m happy Ciel and Sebastian are back, but this episode seemed so out of place. But then maybe this was the creator’s intentions? Apparently, the story won’t make sense unless you watch the season as a whole (it’s from the mangaka herself). Which is why I won’t judge it until I finish the whole thing.

Although this episode seemed highly suspicious. For one thing, in first season, pretty much half the side characters were killed along with Ciel. So to see them all revived from this episode and in the preview makes me believe this is either one of the following: a flashback, a dream or the afterlife. If it is a flashback then it may indicate how Alois and Ciel meet each other. If it’s a dream/afterlife then it may lead to why/how Ciel got revived again. It may also emphasize Ciel’s regrets to leave Elizabeth behind since there were so many ElizabethXCiel moments (I really hate Elizabeth by the way). Or it may be a cheap way of ‘reintroducing’ all the old characters (which is what it felt like to me).

Hopefully, things will start to get more interesting and make more sense. Unfortunately, next episode tells me that we may not see Alois and Claude for a while. I also hope whatever ‘side-story’ they’re doing next will make up for the this episode.

One thing good about this ep is the OP change though. I’m not sure which one I love better but the second OP had a bit more meaning. I didn’t think it really spoiled anything much since I already had the feeling it’d be a ‘Sebastian&Ciel vs. Claude&Alois’ plot in the first place. The only thing I’m really interested about in this season is how the two pairs are connected. I really don’t like the whole ‘good’ vs. ‘bad’ indication though. In the manga, Ciel can actually pass to be an evil kid(the one who does anything to get his revenge, even if it’s morally wrong) and so, I never really liked the way the way they depicted him in the anime as they ‘sugar-coated’ him too much resulting in making him a weaker character.

12. akani says:

It generally ISN’T a good idea to watch the second season of anything without watching the first. Alois and Claude annoyed me right from the start. Claude is such a brat.

How can you call all the character “annoying stereotypes” when you don’t even know anything about them? You don’t know the past of Ciel or why he has a demon butler, you don’t know the true purpose of having the servants around when they’re not good at housework, you don’t know anything really about the setting at all. That gives you no right to criticise it.

And most importantly, in missing out on the first season, you are missing out on the excellent mix of a dark atmosphere and comedy and everything in between. Please watch the first season, or read the manga which is better than the anime.

Ciel and Sebastian, even while working for the queen, are not good guys. They’re not exactly villains either. There’s a reason the series is named Black Butler.

I DO agree that Elizabeth is annoying, but that’s just a personal opinion on my part.

Sorry if I come across as rude, but this really annoys me.

13. lane says:

I will give this one more episode to redeem itself, then it’s dropped. What disappointing crap.

14. Don’t worry about Alois and Claude not getting much role in this season because they’re OFFICIALLY main characters. As important as Seb and Ciel. And that got me happy. For more info, go here. So yeah, those complaining on the lack of Seb and Ciel, I hope they stop =_= And the author bashers were cruel…. idiots =_=

I’ll only hurry in watching a Kuro2 episode if the new pair’s there. Since I get confirmation of them not in ep 2, I will prioritize other fandom. title of ep 3 is quite…. intriguing though if spoilers are right

15. Me and my epic fail speed reading… didn’t notice that you have already read it.

Anywayz, I think you can still relax since it’s true that there’s so much of Alois and Claude even in Black Tabloid. Hopefully translations from it will be out soon. And the author had mentioned to watch at least until episode 4 or 8 before judging so… maybe they’ll appear again by then *_*

16. lalarhs says:

@akani
    I actually agree with you. It’s best to watch the WHOLE season then say whether you hate them or not. Because as far as we know you may miss the things which may have annoyed you in the very beginning. But then again, it may just depend on one’s personal preference and opinion.

17. Infinity0x says:

Oh Lizzy, you just HAD to come back, didn’t you?

I completely agree.

Ep 2 was a total waste of time, and believe me, I don’t think of my time as something valuable.

It doesn’t matter if you didn’t watch season one, because they’re actually acting as if the entire thing was something that never happened in the first place. So yeah, bullshit, this episode was crap. And HELL yeah, Alois is the best thing that EVER happened to Kuroshitsuji so far. (AND NO, I’M NOT SEXUALLY OBSSESED WITH SEBASTIAN, THANKYOU VERY MUCH) I’ll give it a try, but if the new characters don’t get the developement they deserve, I’m going to be grossed out for all the false publicity and the drama that took Toboso to just fuck our brains with a second season that appers to be exactly as random and borderline senseless as the first one. (Don’t get me wrong, I loved it when it got serious.)

And how dare they mess their own plot?

18. The Cloned One says:

I’ve moved on from Ciel and Sebastian after the end of season 1 and I’m greatly enjoying Alois and Claude, (who by the way are ten times more interesting than former two).

I’ve heard that you must watch this whole season to understand why what has happened (and will happen). Hopefully it will be worth it in the end.

But I just really want more screentime for Alois and Claude. (Sorry Sebby/Claude fans)

19. someone says:

can u tell me where u watched the movie i just wanted to know what happened to ciel and sabastian..

20. Bocchan says:

We’ve reached Ep. 8 and…I gotta say…worth it. I went from being ambivalent to hooked.

Customize
One Punch Man season 2 was announced. Expected but most certainly welcome.
...now I need Re:Zero season 2.
CJayTiiii
Honestly, if you are going to Kyoto essentially no shrine is worth visiting in Tokyo because none of them are as nice as the ones in Kyoto and they are essentially all tourist traps.
If you guys insist I'll give Osaka serious consideration. But again I'd hate to gloss over Kyoto or Tokyo. But anyhow my 4 week stay in Seoul will be eternity compared to the Japan trip.
CJayTiii
Ikebukuro is probably used almost as much as shibuya? Specifically for durarara right around the station (east side) is used a lot. Kabuki-Cho in shinjuku is definitely used a lot but I couldn't tell you in what off the top of my head.
CJayTiii
Also as someone who lived in Kyoto and now lives in Tokyo, I would suggest spending as much time as possible in Kyoto as there is just so much stuff to do there. Tokyo there honestly really isn't that much stuff to do here other than going out to drink I feel. Lol also Osaka is only a 30 min train ride (about 5$ USD) from Kyoto so it's easy to go there for a couple hours
@Mario I'll be home by new years unfortunately, I'll have to settle for Christmas in tokyo.
@CJay Thanks, any suggestions for Tokyo? I'm trying to avoid cliché locations for anime-related scenery. Like Shibuya.
CJayTiii
For Kyoto, Tatami Galaxy is probably the best anime for side by side comparisons. Kamogawa river, Kiyamachi street, and shimogamo shrine are famous areas that pretty much constantly make appearances throughout the show.
@K-Off: Disney Tokyo? haha If it was me I've chosen somewhere more... locally. But who I am to judge as I celebrated last New Year Eve in Times Square, the most tourist spot of them all. But I really hope you can spend some time to go to some shrines for the New Year in Tokyo.
@Mario The person I'm travelling with wants to spend Christmas at Disney Tokyo, and unsurprisingly nearly all places will still be open, same as NYC. Christ, I'm more worried about my wallet.
@K-Off: Makes sense. I'd say better stick in one place for long days rather than short trips in several places. Even 10 days for those 2 places wouldn't be enough imo, well especially during Xmas since the streets will be busy and many places could be closed (I guess?)
@Mario It doesn't seem like I'll go to Osaka, the goal is to explore Kyoto and Tokyo and much as possible for a week and a half. If I can squeeze it in there I will, but that means spending less time in Kyoto and/or Tokyo. The bulk of my trip will be in Tokyo for now.
Yeah, Kenshin had a whole Kyoto act, but it was more historical anw and I feel it didn't explore the city that much (more of a ruined city)
Really, only uchoten Kazoku, tatami galaxy and durarara come to mind. Are you planning to go to Osaka as well? I heard from my friend Osaka is about an hour drive from Kyoto only.
@Anon174851 Ah good one.
@Mike Thanks. Durarara is a good suggestion, but I haven't watched Rurouni Kenshin.
Mike
@Kaiser Sure, the story doesn't do anything for me but it's not a waste of time.
@K-Off You can do pretty much anything in Tokyo I'll bet. Anime in general aside from shows like Durarara don't emphasize the setting very much... Kyoto is more interesting, rurouni kenshin is the first thing that comes to mind.
uchouten kazoku is a really good one set in kyoto!
Haven't heard of it. Anyways, do you guys have any suggestions for favorite anime series set in Kyoto or Tokyo? I'm planning my itinerary and the idea is to take a lot of side by side comparison pictures from their anime depictions to RL. I have YuruYuri, SYD, Detective Conan, and various KyoAni spots in mind, but my brain isn't remembering others.
I'm considering finding some War/military manga to read, has anyone read Gunka no balthazar? Is it worthwhile?
@Anon164960, They announced a second season for it so they ain't done with that trainwreck yet.
Gate
So Rewrite took the "Bad End" route. Interesting. Their choice, not the show of course which was a freaking mess from start to finish.
Ah, reminding me that I have not left Ireland since 2012 when I went to Rome. Although I have floated around the idea of maybe going to Slovakia.
@Mario Thanks, although I'll be working the whole time I'm at Seoul with sundays off. Expecting about 40-50 hours of work a week. Sucks that your trip got canned, in the Winter there's no place you'd want to be other than southern California.
Congrats K-Off. Hope you enjoy the trip. I myself originally planned to go to US on this December but now the plan got wrecked. Should be fun spending Xmas in Japan especially
Got my international drivers permit from AAA today, and it also looks like I'm stuck with over half the travel fees since I've signed myself off the agency plan. It's now official, I'm going to Seoul and then spending my christmas holidays in Tokyo. Been a long time since I left the country, last time was in 2011.
That was me Mario
@Masky: it wasn't, but Gui Niao did mention the pipe has multi-purpose functions: do far he uses the pipe to write, to create a hallucination smoke, to make an actual bushfire, to open the lock, now to be a sword-pipe. What's next? To be a wifi modem? to be a boomerang? to shapeshift into an umbrella?
So Thunderbolts Fantasy :D Totally called the pipe being a sword (assuming it wasn't shown earlier and I just forgot about it)
@Anon146321, typos are hard to avoid when you write fast. What's really important to is that the point gets across, which it did.
Medium not meduim
I wonder if trolls consider people explaining why their trolling is bad a successful trolling .-. I mean, my experience is that most of trolls aren't really smartest or most creative of people, I think most of them are happy if people just talk about them.
@Anon141285, oh come on boy. Put some effort into trolling. You need to get people to actual think you believe what you are saying. Here you have already messed up because you use the old "Chinese cartoons" which is supposed to piss of anime fans because it suggests you are ignorant of the meduim but then you reference the nukes showing full well you know where they are from. You have failed.
Chinese cartoons proof that two nukes weren't enough. Or were too much depending on the perspective
oh, talking about teenage horror female movie, make sure to check out Raw whenever its available online. That is one hell of a fun cannibal ride!
my point is we tend to spend our stupid 20s phase feel like its wasted, but really it does help develop our hobby/sense/wisdom, whatever it is.
I find myself now that I've grown up wanting to punch kid characters from horror films lol
About the watching stories with younger female characters...its starting to feel like I shouldn't be or that it doesn't feel appropriate, actually sort of awkward/skeevy.
True enough. But remember that even Quentin Tarantino had his 20s basically just a movie-clerk, watched movies like a maniac and he made that classic Pulp Fiction when he was like 33
Looking back It feels dickish that I laughed reading NHK.
I mean look at Re-life, I mean ow, everyone went through that.
I think we'll find that stage where we'll get irritated by stories reminding us of our stupid 20s phases eventually just as some teenage focused anime/manga annoyingly remind us of being teens.
In terms of anime/manga, much as I'd still see myself liking NHK I could see myself getting more frustrated with the lead character now being in my early 30s.
In the past year I've been looking at hentai/ecchi imageboards not as often as I used to.
Judy Delphy and Juliette Binoche have aged surprisingly well...
Ah its less fancying/finding them attractive, moreso taking notice of them.
I can understand the others but Meryl Streep too? Man, you're aging I can tell
@Mario: Julianne Moore, Isabelle Huppert, Meryl Sreep, Susan Sarandon, Cate Blanchett.
@Kaiser: like whom if I may ask?
But I'm always interested in women issues myself so Mustang just hit me hard
Its a sign of me aging I guess too. I'm noticing older actresses too now where I wouldn't have in the past.
Looking forward to Under the Shadow too, also really keen to see how The Bad Batch would turn out to be
Strangely I've become more engaged with teen, coming-of-age films recently (well, Aku no Hana is sort of teen drama as well),but yes, old man's psyche is my thing too
@Mario: Synecdoche, the passenger, winter light, anomalisa , wild strawberries , la notte for example.
@Mario: The day is coming where drama centred around twentyboppers won't have the same level of effect on me. Had I seen buffalo 66 5 years ago I would have been all over it. Old man/middle age angst is becoming more my thing.
@Mario: I'm honestly having a harder time getting into films that focus on young girls/teenagers.
@Mario: Theres only a few upcoming films left I'm looking forward to, Elle, Valley violence, whispering star and under the shadow.
@Mario: I appreciate mustang for the issue it deals with and addresses but I felt it predictable and the drama didn't hit harshly enough. It feels like an academy/oscars film.
Kaiser: remember I mention about watching those 96 Cannes line-ups? I think I will get to watch them soon, since I downloaded all the movies already
@Kaiser: btw, you hated Mustang? It's also one of my favorite film so far.
but maybe think of it that way will make the manga more entertaining...
You see Aku no Hana as a dark comedy? haha I'm speechless
Like you Mario I don't care for heavy infodumping and that took me out of the new world.
Bebop had that problem for me in that I saw outlaw star and trigun first.
I still feel aku no hana is a guilty pleasure manga, a crazy dark comedy or maybe thats just my humour.
Hataraku had me laughing up to episode 7, while Amagi felt stale from the start.
Looking back on Baccano I still like Claire and Russo but the other characters not so much, the main series is enjoyable enough but the extra episodes hold back the score.
I've never watched Habane straight through although I have finished the series. Ghost vs ergo? Ergos final episode wrecked the show.
I thing Hataraku was a lot more consistent, but Amagi had some standout episodes. For me the OVA, the pirate ship episode and the school episode were great. "Simply put, we have to go lewder" is one of my fav quotes
How was that by the way? I never bothered to watch Amagi Brilliant Park all the way through because I felt so cynical about it after the first two episodes. Hataraku Mao Sama on the other hand was genuinely refreshing for the first half of the season.
In other news, The Eccentric Family is getting 2nd season. Now I'm filled with joy
Still feel bad to compare an 1-cour series (Baccano) to an 4-cours one. But in this case Baccano would take my cake.
I reckon The Devil is a Part Timer vs Amagi Brilliant Park would be a fun one, and I wouldn't know which would win.
Baccano vs Durarara might make a good matchup. Baccano is the better one but Durarara does seem to be more popular.
Syndrome
Yeah it is a bit obvious and they dont share much in common anyway. Just that they are two of the most well known anime out there. I enjoyed NGE more than Cowboy Bebop, but I agree on the later beeing overall a better anime.
Oh look. Berserks Manga is on Haitus again. Muira...just..at this point I ain't even mad. Just disappointed.
Well, new post on Flowers of Evil is out. Come eat it up.
@Syndrome: was thinking about that match-up (NGE vs Cowboy Bebop) but isn't it too obvious? I always intend to pick something that caught you guys off-guard haha
@Syndrome, no contest. Cowboy Bebop wins outright.
Syndrome
On a serious note, for related anime, I would be curious about something like Ergo Proxy against Ghost in the Shell
Syndrome
Go for NGE vs Cowboy Bebop and watch the world burn
Yeah, I agree it's one of the main factors, but even so From the New World had a higher grade too. But I wouldn't pick Haibane Renmei against From the New World if I didn't think it had a chance to win. Those who loved the former really loved it, while people more appreciate From the New World than actually love it. Well, can't beat the consensus I guess.
I'd say a major reason for that would be the popularity difference. On MAL, Haibane has a following of 110k people, with FTNW having 270k.
I'm personally quite disappointed with the results. Will try harder for a more competitive match-up next time
@Mario, if you say so. I say by now the victor has been decided.
@Aidan: we don't need to sticky the Versus Show again, as I will put up the Aku no Hana post tomorrow anyway
Yeah the brightness got a bit much in some places after episode 18.
I thought the brightness was done well in the episode with Rem sitting beside Subaru's bed and her smiling/crying, but yeah this was too much
@anon125687: my thought exactly. While I was watching it I thought to myself that it's too bright!!
Why do final episodes overdo the blur effect and fuzzy lighting its literally over dramatic cancer. Just let it end normally ffs
afgm
Well, it's hard, since it doesn't really feel finished, so even if you know it will eventually end well if given a chance, you can't really put your full confidence behind those bets
Got a bit long winded in that review and yet I feel like I really didn't get across what makes the series so good.
Well that's the Re:Zero review written up. I will get to work on 91 days next and maybe Prisms Illya maybe after that. Lost all entuasim after they messed up that last episode in Illya. Overall it's been pretty disappointing.
As for that twist. I think they could work it easily into a first episode. The impact would still be there for people marathoning the thing in the future and it would be a good "Oh Shit!" moment to start the second season. If they jump ahead a bit to a certain moment it would actually make for a great opener.
I say the only chance of season two not coming would be if White Fox doesn't like money. Considering that the pace which the light novel adaption has sped up from every few months to a release every month I guess that they want to make that second season as badly as we want it. At this pace they could start a second season in maybe a years time. Maybe every half a year depending on cour length.
Syndrome
Also, if season 2 ever come (that would be a surprise if not, and truly annoying), I dont know how they will manage with the "twist", as something this impactful would come way too fast without any kind of setup. Wait and see, I guess.
Syndrome
After seeing the last Re:Zero I couldnt help but spoil myself, and I kind of understand why WhiteFox went with that kind of ending, skipping what would be a giant shtstorm on the internet. Even though, in a sad world where there would be no season 2, Im still a bit disappointed with the ending. Its nice to wrap it up this way but its a stale regarding the plot and there is no food for thought.
@aidan: you sure are fast when it comes to Re:Zero haha. Alrighty, we'll go with that then
@mario,I am putting up a Re:Zero post. Tommarrow. I will unsticky it for a day and then we can sticky it again.
reaLjustified
@K-Off No worries, it's so messed up. Stay safe.
@Aidan: if you going to post Re:Zero review soon, you can unsticky the Versus Show post, otherwise I will take it down in 2 days
@K-Off: I feel for ya. Glad that there were only minor injuries. I heard a blogger claimed that he did it because of the gay rights. Sound bullsh*t to me
Shit ton of manga have gotten updates but I don't feel like talking about them for a while, lost my appetite.
@Kaiser Living in NYC all my life I remember 9/11, flight 587 crash in Queens, the Hudson River water landing, and now this.
So far it seems most of the people calling it disappointing are those who know whats comes after that last scene and were looking forward to how the fanbase reacts to it. But it would have been a pretty terrible as well as evil way to end the series.
Yeah, I thought it gave enough closure for us to be satisfied yet still desperately wanting the next season.
@Anon120947, I really don't see what's so disappointing about it. I thought it was a pretty solid way to end the series.
I think at most the worst thing that happened in my area was two conmen going around and an gangster attack on a nearby hotel.
@K-off: Honestly, glad to hear you're safe. And having a bomb go off nearby would make me feel paranoid.
@Anon: I'm waiting, waiting for reviews written after the show ends.
Anonymous120947
Feels like it has been done this way in case of a never happening season 2... to kind of close it.
Anonymous120947
Wow, that last episode of Re:Zero was pure straight disapointment... finishing like this feels is real suffering.
Well, we don't know yet. We don't know who did it, if it was connected to the pipe bomb explosion in jersey, etc. But the second device found on 27th street does seem to point the situation towards terrorism.
afgm
Luckily it doesn't seem to be a terror attack
Yeah. I was a good 8 blocks away inside a restaurant so I didn't even know until later. It must have been a pretty small bomb since all the injured have apparently already been released from the hospital.
Damn. Just looked it up. Good thing you weren't at the area when the bomb went off.
Fucking hell, transit is so congested I still can't get home. Luckily it seems like there's no fatalities according to the initial reports, there are still a shit ton of people around central for shelter. I didn't hear or feel the explosion at chelsea, and currently I'm at lenox with my bicycle. So congested it looks like I'm going to have to walk my bike a few more miles before I get picked up. L
Watched The Empire of Corpses. I makes me sad to see a great idea be turned into such a mediocre movie. I think this concept could have been put to much better use but instead it decided to go with the blandest option.
The guy who will direct it is a live-action director who only had Psycho Pass the Movie (not a good one) as an anime director. WTH? Don't know what to think about this new FLCL now
and it will be co-produced by Adult Swim on top of that?
How comes I just noticed this old news that FLCL will get two-seasons sequel...
And by that I mean "Huh, haven't checked the blog for two days"
Yay commenting on two days old blog posts
Finished rewatching Re:Zero and now ready for the finale. Let's see how this goes.
I will be mourning the now dead hope of a somewhat decent Berserk adaption.
The last few episodes were not bad but purely on the merits of the source material and not the adaption.
@Bam: I'll be mourning indeed.
@Anon 112098: I haven't watched Chef, but it has more to do with me not interested in chef's life whatsoever. Is it good?
Bam
I'm out of town until Sunday evening. The Berserk finale post will hopefully be up early Monday mourning, followed by the overall cour review a bit later in the week.
Anonymous112098
Habe u seen Chef with John Favreau?
I am quite upset with how Sliver link handled that scene. It was the one scene I wanted done right. Just that one scene...and they screwed it up.
He scored the Prince of Egypt? I didn't know that, but yeah I remember it had a great score. Also "When you believe"
Well, a lot of his earlier work is just brilliant. Prince of Egypt in my opinion is his greatest work.
*nothing wrong
Well, Hans Zimmer could do nothing really; but that's a reason why I have a bit of problem with his scores. Everything he made are solid but ultimately sound the same to me.
Agree that the music has been excellent. Not only the soundtrack thou, but the sound editting in general is great (that ringtone during the Great Whale for example).
@Mario, Understandable. As much as I love this show, I admit that it has elements I am sure could turn off people.
Also I really should have talked about the music in this series more. It really is a phenomenal soundtrack. I hear they were going with a more cinematic approach to it with Hans Zimmer being a primary inspiration.
@Aidan: it has been a fun ride, I'm glad I stick with it till the end; although I'm not as enthusiastic about it as you are. :)
Re-watching Re:Zero in preparation for the finale. Still is awesome a second time through. In fact the middle part of the series I felt dragged fairs a whole lot better when marathoned though. Noticing a number of things watching the second time. For one Roswell has a really goddamn annoying way of talking. I say I will be giving this on a very favorable review.
Hugh Mungus
@TopGavin, I haven't watched it yet but I hope what you said about the animation isn't too bad because this is where they need to be on top of their game.
So that fate episode was interesting, lotsa stuff happened. Seemed like the animation was worse than usual and my god how could the subs screw up the incantation.
reaLjustified
@Aramus Why would you want to send the picture to your friend? Tell 'em to see it for themselves at the site! lol.
Friend
Most of the time they meant no harm, I think it's always about getting recognition. They quickly take them down after I send them a polite email, and I let them save their ego without smearing them on their page.
afgm
(ok maybe a little fault should go to them lol)
afgm
@Friend: That sucks, but its definitely understandable. People can be pretty thoughtless at times (no fault to them of course).
afgm
tiger mask did make it into the upper quartile though, which is surprising
Friend
@afgm I don't have a large internet presence with my work exactly because I've had situations with theft on Pinterest. For work, I just carry USBs with my portfolio pieces in them :/
Friend
@Aramus Heya, thanks for the inquiry. Unfortunately the fell image won't be available openly unless for commercial purposes, but otherwise feel free to contact me in my business email! :)
afgm
ah you know what? I read the title Time Bokan 24 and thought it had 24 votes x)
@afgm: Time Bokan receives 0 vote the last time I checked it. I'm more surprised that people love Haikyuu that much
Such a shame because I enjoy writing it a lot
2 more episodes on Thunderbolt Fantasy and I might break the sites' record (hall of shame really) for covering a show without any comment, haha.
afgm
Also what is Time Bokan and why does it have more votes than 95% of the other anime in the poll haha
afgm
well it's always iffy giving out images without the creator knowing. You can never know where its going to end up. I strongly suggest you contact Friend.
aramus1
@Afgm Sorry, I was the anon. The weird username thing is bugging out. And was going to send it to a friend, did she not want it out there?
afgm
@anon: you better not be thinking about refistributing the image without her consent. youre better off contacting her on her homepage...
@Anon108797, In the comments he mentions that it's an April Fools joke. So there is hope for humanity yet.

Thunderbolt Fantasy 12a

Thunderbolt Fantasy – 12

Now, we just have one episode left, but things get even more intense and crazy by the minute, to the point I don’t really know how they would wrap it up neatly. At the beginning Shang Bu Shuan was mocked by Juan Can Yun that he should be titled “Edgeless Blade”, because his sword-style is […]

fate-kaleid-liner-prisma-illya-3rei-11-12-2

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei – 11-12

I will be the first to admit that this season of this series disappointed me. I still stand by my word on this being better than previous seasons of the show but watching it fold out in animation has made me begin to think I was overstating just how good it really was. Though part […]

mob-psycho-100-11-4

Mob Psycho 100 – 11

Looks like I need to eat my own words as it turns out Reigan isn’t the organization’s leader but he managed to convince the guards that he was. This was definitely Reigans finest moment as he makes use of pure deception to catch everyone off guard. He has absolutely no idea what exactly is going […]

91-days-10-4

91 Days – 10

As we near the end of 91 Days I have taken this time to really think over what this show has presented so far and I admit to be somewhat disappointed. Ultimately the ride has been solid and Studio Shuka have delivered on their promise of making a Mafia drama. However I cannot help but […]

orange 11a

orange – 12

For the first time orange manages to do something different narratively. The first half of this week’s episode tells the original timeline in Kakeru’s point of view, and with that we can understand more clearly about his emotional progress, at the same time gives us much more details about his Mom. In the original timeline, […]

[HorribleSubs] Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 18 [480p].mkv_002253.373

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World – 91/100

re-zero-kara-hajimeru-isekai-seikatsu-25-3

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World – 25

Well it’s over and what a ride it was. Betelgeuse is defeated, everyone is saved and Subaru gets to confess his love to Emilia to leave the series off on a hopeful note. Only thing that would have made it better is more Rem but let us be frank, there is never enough Rem. I […]

Thunderbolt Fantasy 11c

Thunderbolt Fantasy – 11

This week things escalated pretty quickly. Our helpless MC Shang Bu Huan shots himself in the foot pretty quickly. I already suspected it’s a matter of time before his scam will be exploited by Mie Tian Hai, but I surely never would have guessed it’s that early. Shang Bu Huan, hilariously, is just plain terrible […]

mob-psycho-100-10-2

Mob Psycho 100 – 10

Plenty of action this week as Mob, Terumi and Dimple take on the major members of claw. As far as what happen this episode feels a lot like your standard fare for a shounen anime series. The main group infiltrating an enemy base, split up and encounter the enemies in one on one style battles. […]

[HorribleSubs] Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 18 [480p].mkv_002253.373