Posted by psgels on 8 July 2010 with categories: Kuroshitsuji II

Okay, so in this season my method of choosing the series to blog is going to differ a bit from the previous season. In the past spring season, I was pretty much juggling with the series that I wasn’t too sure about, until I was happy with the series that I ended up with. This season I’m still going to cover twelve anime, meaning that I’ll pick up the seven most interesting new series. However, whenever they end up disappointing or too much of a chore to write about I just drop them so that I can get some extra time, watching some of the older series that I’ve been meaning to check out.

Because honestly, this episode was pretty terrible. The two new characters really were fantastic: Claude and Alois were incredibly fun to watch, and I really want to know more about them. That’s the reason I’m blogging this series. And this is also why I’m willing to try out this series as an experiment, without having watched season 1.

Because after this season, I really don’t want to watch more of Ciel and Sebastien than necessary. Together, they’re decent, but bland. The biggest problem however, is that their friends are all annoying stereotypes and especially Ciel’s fiance is just a complete moron without any personality. This episode also just made no sense, and lacked the attention to detail that made that first episode so good. A flood appears from nowhere. Instead of running away, the characters just stand there like it’s nothing. The fiance somehow finds it a good idea to climb on a boat. There is a dam to which water flows from both sides (how the hell does that work?) and after the flood is over, it really completely disappears. It leaves no marks, or scars to the landscape, conveniently for the plot of the episode like nothing even happened.

The first episode worked because it was so incredibly camp, yet well executed, creative and shocking. The servants were all well characterized and stuff. I’m glad to see that in this link, it becomes clear that Alois and Claude will form a big part of the second season, but it also seems a post that’s mostly focused on calming down the fans of Sebastian and Ciel, portraying them as the good guys.

This really has me worried, because good guys generally tend to get more airtime than bad guys. On top of that, I also really don’t hope that the OP is spoiling the entire plot of this series. Also, didn’t Ciel supposedly die at the end of the first season? Good luck in trying to write that into the series correctly…

Oh, and for those who were wondering: there was no iota of Claude and Alois in this episode.
Rating: — (Lacking)

1. chounokoe says:

They don’t care about explaining much away as it seems. Sebastian just likes Ciel so much he revives him…I would be glad if there is another reason behind it, but I dare to doubt.

Concerning Elizabeth and the servants…yes.
    They got wonderful development at the end of season 1 and actually matured when they learned not to be dependent on Ciel and Sebastian, but see them as an important part of their lives.
    Especially Elizabeth was added to by the fact that Ciel died…too bad she never noticed and can easily go back to be the frolicking bag of rabid sugarstars…that I so despised in season 1.

And in case you don’t mind getting the end of SEASON 1 SPOILED.

Yes, the pact between Ciel and Sebastian was fullfilled when the murderer of his parents was eliminated by Sebastian. Thus Sebastian brought him to the Underworld and took his soul…
    I thought that was a wonderful twist even though it was shocking and I loved season 1 for the guts it appeared to have…now it’s all down the drain.

2. DmonHiro says:

“The servants were all well characterized and stuff.”

Excuse me? Well characterized my butt. We didn’t learn a damn thing except Alois is a psychotic brat (and that’s awesome) and Claude is almost perfect. We don’t know anything about Hana or the triplets, so how can you say they were all well characterized? The triplets didn’t even DO anything.

3. Arthurius says:

Too early to judge as to what really transpired there but season1 was a really solid show.Sure it has it’s flaws with a lot of fluff and Smexy Sebastin but at it’s core Kuroshitsuji delivered a solid plot with a lot of unpredictability and dare I say some really eerie and emotionally charged episodes(The queen anyone?)

All that aside,I think you really should give season 1 a shot Psgels.Not only will this change your perception of the characters and the show but judging by your tastes I’d say this would be right up your alley and turn out to be one pleasent surprise:D

4. Bruce says:

Oh god no.. they seriously did this. I can’t believe it.

I guess I’ll be holding off on this for a while.

5. Ebod says:

Goddamn it, and the first episode was so good too. D:

Oh well, maybe that means we’ll get to see the circus arc animated then… that was a bloody chilling arc.

6. Moonhawk says:

Hm… I guess I’ll be skipping the next few episodes and then watch the first 5 or 6 episodes at once.

I didn’t like the first episodes of Kuroshitsuji 1 but after giving it a second shot after abot 15 episodes had aired I really got hooked when I watched them directly one after another.
    Somehow the good points were shining through much more when watching it in a piece instead of having to wait so long in between the episodes. It just felt… better to watch it that way. More complete. Can’t really describe it.
    Guess it was just that the not so good scenes didn’t weigh so much, when looking back at a larger sum of watched-anime minutes.
    Like it’s annoying to have 3 bad minutes each episode but having “only” 9 minutes while watching over an hour of anime is rather enjoyable.
    And in the later parts it got really good. I even got to like the servants after the infamous episode where their true nature came through.
    And I also liked the ending. I mean, when it was there I was like “WTF? Did they really do this?!” but I kinda liked t because it fit with the whole context.

So now I’m a bit biased as to like the idea of a revived Ciel or not.
    But I guess, if they do come up with a plausible reason for this, this 2nd season could become pretty good.
    It seems in that announcement that they really have put some effort in how it could be continued and even went as far as announcing the season as if Ciel wouldn’t appear, well aware that they might be loosing a lot of potential viewers with this.

The only thing I’m worrying about that it might become a bit too much of a cliché fight evil-bastard-kid vs. once-evil-but-has-gotten-his-revenge-kid.
    I mean, right now they are just a bit too much as exact opposites. In the first season, Sebastian was the evil part of the duo, this time it seems to be Alois.
    I just hope it won’t end up in some cheesy good vs evil stuff.

But well…
    I won’t judge anything after two episodes.
    Last time I thought the anime wasn’t my thing and after trying it again I came to really like it.
    So I guess I’ll just wait and see what this second season will come up with.
    It is, after all, an anime original, which gives me hope, because I really liked what they did in the first season, when they differed from the manga.
    And they took some huge risks with the way they introduced this series, so they must have some good ideas up their sleeves (or at least think so)… so I’m really willing to give this season a chance as well.
    Let’s hope the best! :D

7. Buddy Waters says:

This was the single worst episode in either season, which is baffling, since the first episode was better than anything in season one. Some mixed signals there. If we’re going to focus on Ciel and Sebastian, they need to keep hammering what worked so well in the back half of the first season, not indulge in the worst bits of the first half exclusively, at the cost of any context or continuity.

8. Suu says:

Meh. I was expecting this much. I sort of head-desked the moment Sebastian/Ciel even reappeared. Like Chounoke said it ruins what little good came out of the ending of last season which was probably the only part that stuck true to story. Sebastian wanted to have Ciel’s soul and despite what occurred along the way, he was still just a demon who just wanted a soul and got it.

I think missing the first season may have had you miss how it ‘also’ started out interesting and then pitfalled into disaster. My expectations of anything else that could’ve continue out of that mess wasn’t very high.

Claude and Alois weren’t new or really new or great ideas to begin with. The fact that it can’t at least be a stand-alone to do something new (and that the old plot has to be dragged back up from the dirt) just made it so much worse.

9. Defade says:

No Alois and Claude? Oh, just what I feared. Dammit.

But hopefully Alois and Claude will play a bigger role, just as the blog had promised, and not just a ‘make Sebastien and Ciel seem better and then get curb stomped’ enemy of the week kind. Because even though the blog entry promised more A&C and claimed the to be important as well, 90% of the entry is pretty much as you said – dedicated to fans of Sebastien and Ciel, calming them down etc.

And hell yeah I’d like to see them dig themselves out of the ‘Ciel came back to life’ hole, because even though I dropped season 1 I heard that Sebastien took Ciel’s soul, so…

10. Suu says:

@moonhawk: This was actually what I was fearing too. The “new” evil kid vs antihero kid battle. I think its inevitable since Alois seemed to want Ciel for whatever reason. (or was he just being a fanboy?)

What’s worse is that it just reminds me of how little Alois might give us. It’s bad enough that Claude like Sebastian is just… perfect. Nothing “more” added to the butler character really. But Alois’ only good feature is his psychoticness. Outside of that he falls into that stereotypical brat you would expect out of a character his age, especially given a lot of power. The kind of character I’d hoped Ciel wouldn’t be when the series first started.

He’s still got the potential for a good character, but he was sort of sporadic and its something more screen time might solve.

11. lalarhs says:

I wasn’t very impressed by this episode either. I’m happy Ciel and Sebastian are back, but this episode seemed so out of place. But then maybe this was the creator’s intentions? Apparently, the story won’t make sense unless you watch the season as a whole (it’s from the mangaka herself). Which is why I won’t judge it until I finish the whole thing.

Although this episode seemed highly suspicious. For one thing, in first season, pretty much half the side characters were killed along with Ciel. So to see them all revived from this episode and in the preview makes me believe this is either one of the following: a flashback, a dream or the afterlife. If it is a flashback then it may indicate how Alois and Ciel meet each other. If it’s a dream/afterlife then it may lead to why/how Ciel got revived again. It may also emphasize Ciel’s regrets to leave Elizabeth behind since there were so many ElizabethXCiel moments (I really hate Elizabeth by the way). Or it may be a cheap way of ‘reintroducing’ all the old characters (which is what it felt like to me).

Hopefully, things will start to get more interesting and make more sense. Unfortunately, next episode tells me that we may not see Alois and Claude for a while. I also hope whatever ‘side-story’ they’re doing next will make up for the this episode.

One thing good about this ep is the OP change though. I’m not sure which one I love better but the second OP had a bit more meaning. I didn’t think it really spoiled anything much since I already had the feeling it’d be a ‘Sebastian&Ciel vs. Claude&Alois’ plot in the first place. The only thing I’m really interested about in this season is how the two pairs are connected. I really don’t like the whole ‘good’ vs. ‘bad’ indication though. In the manga, Ciel can actually pass to be an evil kid(the one who does anything to get his revenge, even if it’s morally wrong) and so, I never really liked the way the way they depicted him in the anime as they ‘sugar-coated’ him too much resulting in making him a weaker character.

12. akani says:

It generally ISN’T a good idea to watch the second season of anything without watching the first. Alois and Claude annoyed me right from the start. Claude is such a brat.

How can you call all the character “annoying stereotypes” when you don’t even know anything about them? You don’t know the past of Ciel or why he has a demon butler, you don’t know the true purpose of having the servants around when they’re not good at housework, you don’t know anything really about the setting at all. That gives you no right to criticise it.

And most importantly, in missing out on the first season, you are missing out on the excellent mix of a dark atmosphere and comedy and everything in between. Please watch the first season, or read the manga which is better than the anime.

Ciel and Sebastian, even while working for the queen, are not good guys. They’re not exactly villains either. There’s a reason the series is named Black Butler.

I DO agree that Elizabeth is annoying, but that’s just a personal opinion on my part.

Sorry if I come across as rude, but this really annoys me.

13. lane says:

I will give this one more episode to redeem itself, then it’s dropped. What disappointing crap.

14. Don’t worry about Alois and Claude not getting much role in this season because they’re OFFICIALLY main characters. As important as Seb and Ciel. And that got me happy. For more info, go here. So yeah, those complaining on the lack of Seb and Ciel, I hope they stop =_= And the author bashers were cruel…. idiots =_=

I’ll only hurry in watching a Kuro2 episode if the new pair’s there. Since I get confirmation of them not in ep 2, I will prioritize other fandom. title of ep 3 is quite…. intriguing though if spoilers are right

15. Me and my epic fail speed reading… didn’t notice that you have already read it.

Anywayz, I think you can still relax since it’s true that there’s so much of Alois and Claude even in Black Tabloid. Hopefully translations from it will be out soon. And the author had mentioned to watch at least until episode 4 or 8 before judging so… maybe they’ll appear again by then *_*

16. lalarhs says:

@akani
    I actually agree with you. It’s best to watch the WHOLE season then say whether you hate them or not. Because as far as we know you may miss the things which may have annoyed you in the very beginning. But then again, it may just depend on one’s personal preference and opinion.

17. Infinity0x says:

Oh Lizzy, you just HAD to come back, didn’t you?

I completely agree.

Ep 2 was a total waste of time, and believe me, I don’t think of my time as something valuable.

It doesn’t matter if you didn’t watch season one, because they’re actually acting as if the entire thing was something that never happened in the first place. So yeah, bullshit, this episode was crap. And HELL yeah, Alois is the best thing that EVER happened to Kuroshitsuji so far. (AND NO, I’M NOT SEXUALLY OBSSESED WITH SEBASTIAN, THANKYOU VERY MUCH) I’ll give it a try, but if the new characters don’t get the developement they deserve, I’m going to be grossed out for all the false publicity and the drama that took Toboso to just fuck our brains with a second season that appers to be exactly as random and borderline senseless as the first one. (Don’t get me wrong, I loved it when it got serious.)

And how dare they mess their own plot?

18. The Cloned One says:

I’ve moved on from Ciel and Sebastian after the end of season 1 and I’m greatly enjoying Alois and Claude, (who by the way are ten times more interesting than former two).

I’ve heard that you must watch this whole season to understand why what has happened (and will happen). Hopefully it will be worth it in the end.

But I just really want more screentime for Alois and Claude. (Sorry Sebby/Claude fans)

19. someone says:

can u tell me where u watched the movie i just wanted to know what happened to ciel and sabastian..

20. Bocchan says:

We’ve reached Ep. 8 and…I gotta say…worth it. I went from being ambivalent to hooked.

All of the important dance scenes for Yuri were fantastic, its just some minor one off characters and some reused ones that were an issue, so no they are better than the CGI
Anonymous1190387
Is it worse than those CGI dance scenes in some anime?
@Puran, It is pretty surprising how well that story turns out. I say IG might do the job even if there animation isn't the most consistent. The one thing I am worried about is those necks though. In the PV those things were ridiculously long.
Puran
Fair enough, recycling the animation was bad, agreed. But the animation itself was really good.
See, I found the repeated dances in Yuri one of the worse parts. Alot of it was recycled animation and certain characters were obviously rushed/not done. Some were amazing, cause they took their time, but others looked terrible.
Puran
I kinda wish Mappa was doing the anime though. Yuri on Ice had really nicely animated dances (and was more or less the only actually good quality of that show :P )
Puran
Reading the Ballroom e Youkoso manga has made me really excited about the Anime.
Kaiser_Eoghan
@Aidan: I'm particularly turned off by bully/bullying cliches these days. I've only read the first two volumes to see how awful she was but I ended up simply losing track of the series and stopped reading.
Kaiser_Eoghan
@Mario: Actually that has changed, I had to pick a different day to see it given changes in schedule, I've booked it for NEXT Wednesday now. I've watched Akira about four times.
Oh, Rising of the Shield Hero is getting an anime adaption. Hmmm...honestly after finishing the series and looking over it as a whole I am not sure I even want that. Plus seeing Bitch Animated...would fill me with rage.
I intend to re-watch Akira soon, probably this weekend. It has been almost 10 years since my first watch and now I don't remember much about that one. Thought it was intriguing and complex but not as acclaimed as people hyped it to be (I'll pick Ghost in the Shell anytime). Wonder how I'd feel now after re-watching it.
@Kaiser: I remember you mentioned that you were going to watch In this Corner of the World today right? How was the movie Kaiser?
Oh cool, food wars is getting a 3rd season
Ballroom youkoso appears to be leading the polls.
@Mario: Fumiko is a female mangaka yes. Also I found bokura no hentai worth reading.
yep, I finished that manga too and I have conflicted feeling about it. Yuri(!) part and fanservice are to blatant but they have a purpose. This mangaka (not sure but I think she's a girl) has some unique voice.
....well I skimmed that manga. And it was weird
By all appearances,Sakura is normal,albeit sheltered junior high school girl who enjoy talking about love and walking home from school together.However,they also happen to inhabit a strange and supernatural world populated by mysterious,gigantic beings and unusual plant and animal life.Amid their peaceful lives,Sakura becomes very interested in something only alluded to exist in old books: dicks
Here's a synopsis of other manga from the same author, I think you'll have a better idea of his theme -
Sakura no Sono
Pretty much what Masky said. I am not really praising it. Anyway I plan to read one or two more chapters to see where it's going. But if it's going in the direction I think it's going then I am dropping this one fast.
Kaiser_Eoghan
There is of course the underlying concern that it will go a very ugly route with that development or it could become edgy/horribly minipulative, but for now it is as mario said, a hook.
Well. overall I don't dislike what I read there. It has good hook and I'm intrigued to know more what the hell will happen. Good set-up for me. I'm in
@Masky: it's fine Masky, since I will chec itk out any way and see it for myself ^^
So since you guys started being interested, I checked it out and uh.. Yeah, not reading. I think ye guys misunderstood Aidans warnings since that was just fucked up and not in the interesting way.
@Aidan: Berserk will never again go more than 3-4 months without a hiatus.
Hmmm, that manga Cutie Mutie sounds good to me. I might check it out later today
@Aidan: But had you not alluded to that scene, I may have seen the cover of that manga and skipped over it.
@Aidan: I had a feeling, sort of, sad, I am intrigued to read more.
Hyping and warning are not the same thing.
Well with Aidan hyping up the horrors of cutie mutie I may as well glance at it to see what he' on about.
There are three manga with the name rec.
I am familiar with the artist for cutie mutie, she did that manga about the three kids dealing with gender/orientation issues.
Oh look Berserk is on Haitus again....
.....the sad thing is that it comes as expected now.
For reference the two I read were Cutie Mutie and Rec. Be warned, the first one goes to a rather uncomfortable level.
@Masky, Read two manga. One started lighthearted and then went to really dark territory. The other one looks like it's about a really dark subject but turned out to be something more lighthearted.
@Mario, Alright. Tested it now so it such be fixed. Try again.
@Aidan: Huh? What you read that turned dark/didn't turn dark? .-.
"too many answers selected for question 1! only 3 answers allowed!"
@Aidan: I still have the same issues. Weird
@Mario, Wasn't my intent. Try it now and you should be able to pick as many as you want.
@Aidan: I'm not allowed to vote more than 3 votes. Is it your intention Aidan?
Well that was weird. I read something that looked innocent but turned out to be really dark. Then something that looked really dark only to become innocent.
Yeah, nothing that interests me I see :D Like my strongest reaction to season preview was "Someone made isekai with smartphone? Really? REALLY? Thats best idea you had"
Ah Knighs and Magic, found that manga. It was boring enough for me to forget its name. Also besides being boring, I kinda find MC unlikeable since their only personality is that they like mechas and were a programmer before renicarnating as short bishie kid
Woo, time to vote stuff
@Kaiser: that movie In this Corner just getting more and more acclaimed huh? Thou I think it'a a type of movie that if you have high expectation for it you will likely be disappointed. It works best as a sleeper hit
As for cute monster girls, most of the time I don't find them cute at all. I know I'm being racist, but...
@Lenlo: I'm guilty with that cute girls genre, as i enjoyed K-On tremedously for example. Or If I have more time I'd follow Hinako Note this season ^^
They don't always adapt all that well or work as well outside of manga format, especially 4-komas.
*three
The only two of any interest were hidamari sketch, azumanga daioh and yuru yuri and that was largely down to being in the mood for them a few years ago.
@Mario: Personally, I have 0 interest in this Monster girls doing cute things subgenre, just like I have very little interest in the cute girls doing cute things major genre.
@Mario: As it turns out I DID read in this corner of the world. I'll also be seeing it next thursday.
@Kaiser: at this moment I'm very skeptical with the whole Monster girls doing cute girl subgenre, so I'm approachig Centaur with a caution. Of course, it all depends on how I feel after the first episode
@Kaiser: Happy End isn't as bleak aa his other works. But it's certainly Hanake's films, as it explores many of his favorite themes: the voyeurist of camera in his Benny's video, the detachment to the world and the underlying violence. Not his best thou but it's still very good
I think I'd be up for watching jigoku shojo, its been a long time since I watched the original two seasons and this one won't be as long, so it won't get as repetitive.
I voted centaur no nanami on the poll, think Mario could cover it.
@Mario: How did did you get on with Happy end? I heard its like a mix of his best works. Is it as dark and depressing?
I have vague memories of in the corner of the worlds manga, unless I'm mixing it up with something else.
Some news, Lu Over the Wall won the best prize at this year's Annecy (the 1st anime won the award since 1995's Pom Poko), with In the Corner of the World took the Jury Prize. Quite a good showing for anime this year.
@Anon, Hello.
Really, still no vote for Kakegurui?? I thought it would take the top poll for sure
That 18if, even the poster doesn't make much sense, but it looks dazzling ^^
go-go licensed products!
@Lenlo: and Madhouse is the studio behind that Marvel rip-off. Are they really going that low for profits?
Lookin forward to Kakeguri next season, but thats the only thing thats really caught my eye
Well, you have to watch Marvel next season right?
And done. I swear these previews take a lot out of me.
Almost done....almost done...
KT
Attack of Titan, ended ok. But man the production values had gone down.

Virgin Soul had a okish episde

Re:Creators continues to rock for me.
@Mario: I liked the 70s version ending, it was mean spirited =P
@Mario: The original used its one room location quite well and dim lighting in parts, very closed in/claustrophobic.
@Kaiser: just finished the Beguiled and it was much better than I expected. Like, I didn't expect it to be that well shot. The guy was put in a passive role than active here, which help the theme imo. Also, the ending admitedly isn't for everyone but I liked it just fine
@Kaiser: using a black girl? The girls in this one are all white :(
Sato in Re:Creators isn't doing himself any favors is he? Honestly the more I learn about him, the less likable he becomes.
It was a good film though, one of scarjos better moments.
@Mario: As for Sofia, I'm only familiar with lost in translation, which I haven't seen since it originally came out.
@Mario: Everyone goes on about Francis' for the Godfather, the conversation is massively underated and apocalypse now is better, but it has to be the theatrical cut.
@Mario: I guess it was probably seen as progressive in its day by way of using the black girl.
@Mario: Very very cynically 70s of course.
@Mario: Actually just happened to finish it there, I felt it stood out for its somewhat successful gothic feel and aesthetic and Eastwood's performance which shows how well he can command the audiences attention even when he isn't shooting people. Kind of liked how it got slightly grisly later on. It makes a small effort in giving one line backstories .
@Kaiser: the original movie isn't that well-received. It's more like an exotica film where the main guy (Clint Eastwood) hooks up girls of all ages. This one I heard has a good spin on feminist angle. I'm sure is intrigued but Sofia Coppola's filmography has been mixed for me
....I doubt any one has ever heard of this....I know I didn't, I haven't read it either but I came across some weird old Blacksploitation manga, probably from the 90s, Blast knuckle or something...
@Mario: Still remaking the beguiled might be good, we need more modern westerns.
@Mario: I suppose I can busy myself with the original 70s version of beguiled. At the moment I've been focusing on old Japanese films, they had such a good film industry, it makes it hurt so much more now knowing that all they do now is shit live action adaptations.
@Kaiser: gonna be a long day for me with the screenings of The Beguiled, Wind River, The Other Side of Hope and Happy End
Now I need to re-watch 08th ms team.
I watched 4 hours straight of Gundam the origin, hit me with a hard punch of nostalgia, actually seeing his backstory rather than hearing about it is a good thing, I enjoyed the action scenes, it was high-melodrama but well used and more Char is always a good thing.
I think I'll just put Kado on hold for now and see whats being said about future episodes of it, I'm too unsure of it being worth it or not at the moment.
I want to comment on a humble indie game called Sakuna of Rice and Ruin. Is a simple hack and slash similar to Muramasa and Dust: Elysian Trail. The game has a scarf mechanic that is very fun to use to evade attacks and throwing stuff. It kind of reminded me of those Mickey games from the Snes and the visuals reminded me of Pocky and Rocky. Its a game to play on a sunday, simple, fun and relaxing.
From the stuff I played Dragon Ball FigtherZ seems legit at capturing the speed of the battle and feel of the action.
Back from E3. Nintendo is still my main jam. The Rabbids game seems better than I think anyone could imagine. Odyssey seems like a good time. Xenoblade and Metroid 2 remake look like hype.
KT
On Gundam OG, the new Origin Manga, and the movies based on it are very good. Recommended.
I remember reading the first chapter of that manga, but it was a long time ago and the updates were slow.
A manga about Ballroom dancing? Yeah there's no way I am into this.
(Starts reading)
(Reads ten chapters)
Crap...I am into this.
Feel I need to re-visit gundam again through 08th MS team, unicorn and Origin as I'd enjoyed the 70s series, its sequel and chars counterattack. Seed turned me off the franchise for ridiculously long and 00s movie and second season wern't as good as the first .
Looks like I have another Yuasa work to look forward to, he's doing his own take off on Nagai's devilman , hopefully he can reign in Valvraves writer though.
*first manga in couple last weeks I've seen
Da fuq. Found manga called Kemono Jihen, but it somehow already has tv tropes page(I tend to check randomly whether works have tv tropes page to see how notable they are) O_o I mean this is first manga with 1-3 chapters that has that, so I guess author is really popular or something in some circles?
Huh. Guess they figured out rewriting a story for Re:Creators.
Ya know, even if i hadn't heard that Suka Suka is based on one of more tragic light novels, the death flags, all of the death flags :D
HelghastKillzone
I'm a patron of someone who is writing mass effect fanfiction at 2 million+ words. It combines games, writing and fan creativity. So there is that....
Ah, while I listened to some Lovecraft audiobooked, I felt as if I was copping out by listening instead of reading.
A horror manga often works well episodically in a short story format.
@Aidan: Had a flick through Shibito, of what I read I liked how ridiculously camp and gleefully, proudfully nutso it was combined with the silliness of the violence. While not my favourite chapter, the one about the actress stood out for me because she was clearly a reference to Setsuko Hara, one of Japans most famous actresses lol
I try out a number of things from time to time. Books, movies, music, comics and the like. But I always come back to anime.
I have dabbled in quite a few mediums myself. My recent experiment is audiobooks which I am currently using to get through Moby Dick. And Jesus H Christ is this book padded to hell and back. It may be well written but it is an awful story.
But what this film venture has shown me is that while I've gotten much out of it, it shows just how STRONGER the connection I have to anime/manga is.
@Mario: And definately, I don't get the "people focus on only one media thing". One of the reasons I started branching out was because I felt "Fuck, I'm in my 30s and I've neglected a whole medium by being too focused on cartoons"
The sign you're at something too long is when the suspense of waiting for the next part to come out isn't there or when you find yourself not picking up on whats going on!
Manga/visual novels/anime I've noticed especially now are much much easier to stay awake during when you're wrecked tired.
@Mario: And to be honest, I've gotten busier and more tired lately, getting home on a weekday later after a new job, I'm not alert enough to watch art films, just started leaving them till the weekend.
@Kaiser: I know exactly what you mean. That is one of the reason why I like to mix up what I watch: sometimes books, other time manga and even music to get me away from burning out from 1 medium
*eventually get back
The short of that is, I think a good scale back with ANY hobby is a good thing because it can feel special all over again when you get back on it more mainly.
But now that after three years of mainly focusing on films moreso than anime/manga as much, because I'm now incredibly burnt out from watching films 4 times a day, I feel now I can watch ANY anime or read any manga and get that fresh feeling/some of that old passion back.
Remember that feeling you got when you first really got into anime/manga and pretty much excitedly/panic watched EVERYTHING and almost everything felt great? I've been thinking how a few years back now, I sort of re-lived that feeling again...however for films.
(Finished watching SukaSuka 10)
Awwww...that was a sweet episode end....
.....
.....They are all gonna die.
@Aidan: Kids off school pressumably in Japan with more time to watch stuff and more shows.
God why is there so many anime during the summer season.
Of course there are the really obvious recommendations of Grand Blue and Kaguya wants to be confessed to.
I say the only other recommendations I got are Jagaaaaaan, Maou no Hisho, Ore wo Suki Nano wa Omae Dake ka yo and Yuuutsu-kun to Succubus-san. Though I still think Shibito no Koe o Kiku ga Yoi would be up your alley.
By all means keep posting random manga you've all come across, I will read them.
I thought route end did a good job on the protagonist's feelings regarding his mothers death.
Though my interest in Route is largely due to it was the most lurid of the selection.
I felt route end holds the most interest of that selection of recommendations, although before reading it I thought it would be an episodic manga, similar to a series called death sweeper.
@K-Off, well I think both the manga got handed down to the assistant, and the anime got handed down as well. The original author/director for both arnt working on Boruto
@Lenlo Probably, haven't checked. But the manga and anime are completely different so I don't know.
The Streisand effect in full force.
*Now the media...
No the media storms over it and eventually want to check out this film. It has gain more publicity after this shameless incident
oh god, really? Chinese government tried their best to force Annecy (Animation film Fest) to remove a Chinese animated film name Have A Nice Day from screening there because of its "sensitive content"
Still think Sawano needs to lay off the vocals. It can get really distracting in Re:Creators.
KT
oh my the RE:Creators OST is all I wanted.
Well, Boruto isnt being run by the original manga author is it? I thought he handed the series off after Naruto to his chief assistant.
The contrast between wanting to do something different yet using the same character traits is just too jarring.
Gave Boruto a shot, and while it isn't bad, it's so detached from the original series that it might as well have been unrelated. I appreciate that the plot is different, but the modern setting, and lack of any clear character motivations (for now) makes it such a chore to watch. If they were going for something different, why did they use the same character designs and archetypes?
Sorry guys for the delay of Eccentric Family post, just can't bring myself to finish the post. Not that many of you following the show but Yeah, I will plget it done later today. Also, hell yeah for Pluto. Urasawa is my God
@Aidan: I kinda imagine Isekai Shokudou would be like Time of Eve upon reading the synopsis. Like each week about some peculiar customers. Well, if they focus more on food, then... *heartbroken*
Two Metroid Game announcements and an anime of Pluto.
Today was a good day.
KT here:YES!
@Anon: One of his better works, despite reading it twice I've forgotten too much as its been too long since reading it, good though as when I watch the anime the manga won't be as fresh in my mind.
Urasawa's Pluto anime announced! Get hype! Looks like they're keeping designs faithful just like they did with Monster (at least judging from the poster)
By the way Mario, that Isekai show you were interested in is basically food porn.
Man that was a lot of procrastination. I haven't even written up that Little witch academia post yet...and then there's the preview.
I agree with most of your assessments though Kusuriya no Hitorigoto is something I can really get into. I admit Talentless Nana is a bit iffy at the moment but am willing to give it a big chance because I love the authors other works.

Seikaisuru Kado – 10[Towanosakiwa]

So despite my aggravation with how the last episode ended, this episode starts of strong with how the universe was created and the anisotropic beings watching over it. The whole sequence was great and beautifully alien. That half of the episode explaining how Saraka ended up on end was actually very strong and despite the […]

Uchoten Kazoku 2 – 11 [The Blood of the Tengu, the Blood of the Fool]

The Eccentric Family again takes some solid steps to its final showdown. But let me address this first because I’m sure no one really see it coming. Soun comes back to life. A fake-out death? Seriously? Using fake-out death ALWAYS comes with a price, which is all the emotional investment we had for the death […]

Re:Creators – 11 [The Monster Under the Eaves]

Not surprising that this was a more subdued episode since the events of last week landed two and a half creations in the hospital. Given their bed-ridden state, Re:Creators takes it time in developing some new deep and profound ideas about creating works and resolves the quagmire that Sōta finds himself in the last few […]

Little Witch Academia – 24[The Road to Arcturus]

Hmmm….mixed feelings. There are parts I like about this episode but then there is this underwhelming feeling over how things have turned out. In general I like that the epicly named world reconstruction magic turned out to be just a stick that performs party tricks. Thinking about it it’s likely the decline of magic is […]

Shingeki no Kyojin(Attack on Titan) – 37[Scream]

I was all geared up to write up a post that this season of attack on Titan was mere lip service for a third season that may never come when I seen that there is indeed a third season of Attack on Titan on the way next year. So I could voice those same complaints […]

Tsuki ga Kirei – 10 [The Setting Sun]

Kotarou and Akane have reached a stage where they need to think hard about the long term of their relationship. Akane is about to move town, so how they going to keep up their relationship? Usually for a teenager’s romance it means the end. Full stop. LINE and texting can keep them for a while […]

Sakura Quest – 11 [The Forgotten Requiem]

Well, apart from Ririko suddenly can sing confidently, and sings really well on top of that, this episode ends in high note. In fact, that statement really sum up this week of Sakura Quest as a whole. Messy, a bit all over the place with too many elements, but they have very strong ending that […]

ID-0 – 10 [Compressed Sin]

Oh no, ID-0. Out of all the possibilities you could’ve picked for the climax, you chose the worst possible one. Ido’s past self, Dr. Kane Arisugawa turns out to be an evil scientist, using human as a sacrifice for his own research’s advancement. If this already sounds well-worn, it’s getting worse from there. The first […]

Re:Creators – 10 [The Monster Under the Eaves]

The laying of the foundation and development of all previous episodes culminates into an explosive episode that lives up to the hype of Re:Creators’ initial premise. Following Magane long-winded trolling of last week, the amount of action on display this episode more than made up for her antics. Every creation (with the except of Mamika) […]

Window Horses (2016) Movie Review – 87/100

Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon (Winter 2017) Review – 74/100

Scum’s Wish (Winter 2017) Review – 80/100

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Review – 90/100

When you have watched a large amount of anime you can come to assume that you have learned a lot about Japanese culture. Though I think it’s testament to how limited it is to view Japan through anime when you come to realize that despite watching so much, you have never heard of Rakugo. Rakugo […]

Youjo Senki Saga of Tanya the Evil Review – 80/100

Isekai stories have become somewhat of a tiresome genre as of late. There have been many stories of people being transported/reincarnated into other worlds where they shed their once pitiful exterior and become some legendary figure in another world. In most cases it’s trit, balant childish wish fulfilment and the stories often become tiresome when […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. (Winter 2017) Review – 83/100

Imagine my utmost amazement when a show that I wasn’t that confident on taking in the beginning turned out to be one of the most solid offering this season had to offer. ACCA is the most recent anime adaptation from mangaka Natsume Omo, which despite isn’t a household name, many of her works (6 titles […]

Demi-chan wa Kataritai (Winter 2017) Review – 62/100

Demi-chan is one of the newest addition to the monster girl subgenre, which usually feature a human helpless male lead get stuck in a harem of mythical creatures, in form of oversized boob girls of course (why usually those monsters are in female forms anyways? Aren’t they sexless?). In this case, we have monster girls […]

Seiren (Winter 2017) Review – 51/100

Let me say this out front, Seiren is NOT a good show, it’s a highly uneven one. Throughout its run, I can see some solid moments and fresh ideas that could potentially raise it above the bar, but ultimately, view it as a whole, Seiren is a show that isn’t worth recommending. At first, I’m […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100