Posted by psgels on 8 July 2010 with categories: Kuroshitsuji II

Okay, so in this season my method of choosing the series to blog is going to differ a bit from the previous season. In the past spring season, I was pretty much juggling with the series that I wasn’t too sure about, until I was happy with the series that I ended up with. This season I’m still going to cover twelve anime, meaning that I’ll pick up the seven most interesting new series. However, whenever they end up disappointing or too much of a chore to write about I just drop them so that I can get some extra time, watching some of the older series that I’ve been meaning to check out.

Because honestly, this episode was pretty terrible. The two new characters really were fantastic: Claude and Alois were incredibly fun to watch, and I really want to know more about them. That’s the reason I’m blogging this series. And this is also why I’m willing to try out this series as an experiment, without having watched season 1.

Because after this season, I really don’t want to watch more of Ciel and Sebastien than necessary. Together, they’re decent, but bland. The biggest problem however, is that their friends are all annoying stereotypes and especially Ciel’s fiance is just a complete moron without any personality. This episode also just made no sense, and lacked the attention to detail that made that first episode so good. A flood appears from nowhere. Instead of running away, the characters just stand there like it’s nothing. The fiance somehow finds it a good idea to climb on a boat. There is a dam to which water flows from both sides (how the hell does that work?) and after the flood is over, it really completely disappears. It leaves no marks, or scars to the landscape, conveniently for the plot of the episode like nothing even happened.

The first episode worked because it was so incredibly camp, yet well executed, creative and shocking. The servants were all well characterized and stuff. I’m glad to see that in this link, it becomes clear that Alois and Claude will form a big part of the second season, but it also seems a post that’s mostly focused on calming down the fans of Sebastian and Ciel, portraying them as the good guys.

This really has me worried, because good guys generally tend to get more airtime than bad guys. On top of that, I also really don’t hope that the OP is spoiling the entire plot of this series. Also, didn’t Ciel supposedly die at the end of the first season? Good luck in trying to write that into the series correctly…

Oh, and for those who were wondering: there was no iota of Claude and Alois in this episode.
Rating: — (Lacking)

1. chounokoe says:

They don’t care about explaining much away as it seems. Sebastian just likes Ciel so much he revives him…I would be glad if there is another reason behind it, but I dare to doubt.

Concerning Elizabeth and the servants…yes.
    They got wonderful development at the end of season 1 and actually matured when they learned not to be dependent on Ciel and Sebastian, but see them as an important part of their lives.
    Especially Elizabeth was added to by the fact that Ciel died…too bad she never noticed and can easily go back to be the frolicking bag of rabid sugarstars…that I so despised in season 1.

And in case you don’t mind getting the end of SEASON 1 SPOILED.

Yes, the pact between Ciel and Sebastian was fullfilled when the murderer of his parents was eliminated by Sebastian. Thus Sebastian brought him to the Underworld and took his soul…
    I thought that was a wonderful twist even though it was shocking and I loved season 1 for the guts it appeared to have…now it’s all down the drain.

2. DmonHiro says:

“The servants were all well characterized and stuff.”

Excuse me? Well characterized my butt. We didn’t learn a damn thing except Alois is a psychotic brat (and that’s awesome) and Claude is almost perfect. We don’t know anything about Hana or the triplets, so how can you say they were all well characterized? The triplets didn’t even DO anything.

3. Arthurius says:

Too early to judge as to what really transpired there but season1 was a really solid show.Sure it has it’s flaws with a lot of fluff and Smexy Sebastin but at it’s core Kuroshitsuji delivered a solid plot with a lot of unpredictability and dare I say some really eerie and emotionally charged episodes(The queen anyone?)

All that aside,I think you really should give season 1 a shot Psgels.Not only will this change your perception of the characters and the show but judging by your tastes I’d say this would be right up your alley and turn out to be one pleasent surprise:D

4. Bruce says:

Oh god no.. they seriously did this. I can’t believe it.

I guess I’ll be holding off on this for a while.

5. Ebod says:

Goddamn it, and the first episode was so good too. D:

Oh well, maybe that means we’ll get to see the circus arc animated then… that was a bloody chilling arc.

6. Moonhawk says:

Hm… I guess I’ll be skipping the next few episodes and then watch the first 5 or 6 episodes at once.

I didn’t like the first episodes of Kuroshitsuji 1 but after giving it a second shot after abot 15 episodes had aired I really got hooked when I watched them directly one after another.
    Somehow the good points were shining through much more when watching it in a piece instead of having to wait so long in between the episodes. It just felt… better to watch it that way. More complete. Can’t really describe it.
    Guess it was just that the not so good scenes didn’t weigh so much, when looking back at a larger sum of watched-anime minutes.
    Like it’s annoying to have 3 bad minutes each episode but having “only” 9 minutes while watching over an hour of anime is rather enjoyable.
    And in the later parts it got really good. I even got to like the servants after the infamous episode where their true nature came through.
    And I also liked the ending. I mean, when it was there I was like “WTF? Did they really do this?!” but I kinda liked t because it fit with the whole context.

So now I’m a bit biased as to like the idea of a revived Ciel or not.
    But I guess, if they do come up with a plausible reason for this, this 2nd season could become pretty good.
    It seems in that announcement that they really have put some effort in how it could be continued and even went as far as announcing the season as if Ciel wouldn’t appear, well aware that they might be loosing a lot of potential viewers with this.

The only thing I’m worrying about that it might become a bit too much of a cliché fight evil-bastard-kid vs. once-evil-but-has-gotten-his-revenge-kid.
    I mean, right now they are just a bit too much as exact opposites. In the first season, Sebastian was the evil part of the duo, this time it seems to be Alois.
    I just hope it won’t end up in some cheesy good vs evil stuff.

But well…
    I won’t judge anything after two episodes.
    Last time I thought the anime wasn’t my thing and after trying it again I came to really like it.
    So I guess I’ll just wait and see what this second season will come up with.
    It is, after all, an anime original, which gives me hope, because I really liked what they did in the first season, when they differed from the manga.
    And they took some huge risks with the way they introduced this series, so they must have some good ideas up their sleeves (or at least think so)… so I’m really willing to give this season a chance as well.
    Let’s hope the best! :D

7. Buddy Waters says:

This was the single worst episode in either season, which is baffling, since the first episode was better than anything in season one. Some mixed signals there. If we’re going to focus on Ciel and Sebastian, they need to keep hammering what worked so well in the back half of the first season, not indulge in the worst bits of the first half exclusively, at the cost of any context or continuity.

8. Suu says:

Meh. I was expecting this much. I sort of head-desked the moment Sebastian/Ciel even reappeared. Like Chounoke said it ruins what little good came out of the ending of last season which was probably the only part that stuck true to story. Sebastian wanted to have Ciel’s soul and despite what occurred along the way, he was still just a demon who just wanted a soul and got it.

I think missing the first season may have had you miss how it ‘also’ started out interesting and then pitfalled into disaster. My expectations of anything else that could’ve continue out of that mess wasn’t very high.

Claude and Alois weren’t new or really new or great ideas to begin with. The fact that it can’t at least be a stand-alone to do something new (and that the old plot has to be dragged back up from the dirt) just made it so much worse.

9. Defade says:

No Alois and Claude? Oh, just what I feared. Dammit.

But hopefully Alois and Claude will play a bigger role, just as the blog had promised, and not just a ‘make Sebastien and Ciel seem better and then get curb stomped’ enemy of the week kind. Because even though the blog entry promised more A&C and claimed the to be important as well, 90% of the entry is pretty much as you said – dedicated to fans of Sebastien and Ciel, calming them down etc.

And hell yeah I’d like to see them dig themselves out of the ‘Ciel came back to life’ hole, because even though I dropped season 1 I heard that Sebastien took Ciel’s soul, so…

10. Suu says:

@moonhawk: This was actually what I was fearing too. The “new” evil kid vs antihero kid battle. I think its inevitable since Alois seemed to want Ciel for whatever reason. (or was he just being a fanboy?)

What’s worse is that it just reminds me of how little Alois might give us. It’s bad enough that Claude like Sebastian is just… perfect. Nothing “more” added to the butler character really. But Alois’ only good feature is his psychoticness. Outside of that he falls into that stereotypical brat you would expect out of a character his age, especially given a lot of power. The kind of character I’d hoped Ciel wouldn’t be when the series first started.

He’s still got the potential for a good character, but he was sort of sporadic and its something more screen time might solve.

11. lalarhs says:

I wasn’t very impressed by this episode either. I’m happy Ciel and Sebastian are back, but this episode seemed so out of place. But then maybe this was the creator’s intentions? Apparently, the story won’t make sense unless you watch the season as a whole (it’s from the mangaka herself). Which is why I won’t judge it until I finish the whole thing.

Although this episode seemed highly suspicious. For one thing, in first season, pretty much half the side characters were killed along with Ciel. So to see them all revived from this episode and in the preview makes me believe this is either one of the following: a flashback, a dream or the afterlife. If it is a flashback then it may indicate how Alois and Ciel meet each other. If it’s a dream/afterlife then it may lead to why/how Ciel got revived again. It may also emphasize Ciel’s regrets to leave Elizabeth behind since there were so many ElizabethXCiel moments (I really hate Elizabeth by the way). Or it may be a cheap way of ‘reintroducing’ all the old characters (which is what it felt like to me).

Hopefully, things will start to get more interesting and make more sense. Unfortunately, next episode tells me that we may not see Alois and Claude for a while. I also hope whatever ‘side-story’ they’re doing next will make up for the this episode.

One thing good about this ep is the OP change though. I’m not sure which one I love better but the second OP had a bit more meaning. I didn’t think it really spoiled anything much since I already had the feeling it’d be a ‘Sebastian&Ciel vs. Claude&Alois’ plot in the first place. The only thing I’m really interested about in this season is how the two pairs are connected. I really don’t like the whole ‘good’ vs. ‘bad’ indication though. In the manga, Ciel can actually pass to be an evil kid(the one who does anything to get his revenge, even if it’s morally wrong) and so, I never really liked the way the way they depicted him in the anime as they ‘sugar-coated’ him too much resulting in making him a weaker character.

12. akani says:

It generally ISN’T a good idea to watch the second season of anything without watching the first. Alois and Claude annoyed me right from the start. Claude is such a brat.

How can you call all the character “annoying stereotypes” when you don’t even know anything about them? You don’t know the past of Ciel or why he has a demon butler, you don’t know the true purpose of having the servants around when they’re not good at housework, you don’t know anything really about the setting at all. That gives you no right to criticise it.

And most importantly, in missing out on the first season, you are missing out on the excellent mix of a dark atmosphere and comedy and everything in between. Please watch the first season, or read the manga which is better than the anime.

Ciel and Sebastian, even while working for the queen, are not good guys. They’re not exactly villains either. There’s a reason the series is named Black Butler.

I DO agree that Elizabeth is annoying, but that’s just a personal opinion on my part.

Sorry if I come across as rude, but this really annoys me.

13. lane says:

I will give this one more episode to redeem itself, then it’s dropped. What disappointing crap.

14. Don’t worry about Alois and Claude not getting much role in this season because they’re OFFICIALLY main characters. As important as Seb and Ciel. And that got me happy. For more info, go here. So yeah, those complaining on the lack of Seb and Ciel, I hope they stop =_= And the author bashers were cruel…. idiots =_=

I’ll only hurry in watching a Kuro2 episode if the new pair’s there. Since I get confirmation of them not in ep 2, I will prioritize other fandom. title of ep 3 is quite…. intriguing though if spoilers are right

15. Me and my epic fail speed reading… didn’t notice that you have already read it.

Anywayz, I think you can still relax since it’s true that there’s so much of Alois and Claude even in Black Tabloid. Hopefully translations from it will be out soon. And the author had mentioned to watch at least until episode 4 or 8 before judging so… maybe they’ll appear again by then *_*

16. lalarhs says:

@akani
    I actually agree with you. It’s best to watch the WHOLE season then say whether you hate them or not. Because as far as we know you may miss the things which may have annoyed you in the very beginning. But then again, it may just depend on one’s personal preference and opinion.

17. Infinity0x says:

Oh Lizzy, you just HAD to come back, didn’t you?

I completely agree.

Ep 2 was a total waste of time, and believe me, I don’t think of my time as something valuable.

It doesn’t matter if you didn’t watch season one, because they’re actually acting as if the entire thing was something that never happened in the first place. So yeah, bullshit, this episode was crap. And HELL yeah, Alois is the best thing that EVER happened to Kuroshitsuji so far. (AND NO, I’M NOT SEXUALLY OBSSESED WITH SEBASTIAN, THANKYOU VERY MUCH) I’ll give it a try, but if the new characters don’t get the developement they deserve, I’m going to be grossed out for all the false publicity and the drama that took Toboso to just fuck our brains with a second season that appers to be exactly as random and borderline senseless as the first one. (Don’t get me wrong, I loved it when it got serious.)

And how dare they mess their own plot?

18. The Cloned One says:

I’ve moved on from Ciel and Sebastian after the end of season 1 and I’m greatly enjoying Alois and Claude, (who by the way are ten times more interesting than former two).

I’ve heard that you must watch this whole season to understand why what has happened (and will happen). Hopefully it will be worth it in the end.

But I just really want more screentime for Alois and Claude. (Sorry Sebby/Claude fans)

19. someone says:

can u tell me where u watched the movie i just wanted to know what happened to ciel and sabastian..

20. Bocchan says:

We’ve reached Ep. 8 and…I gotta say…worth it. I went from being ambivalent to hooked.

@Mario: its back up now though.
@Mario: Its front page has server issues from time to time sometimes for hours.
I just read some manga on kissmanga a week ago, is the site down already?
Niello
Well to be fair batoto is down because of the site owner personal reason.
So Mangahere, mangachapter, baoto, animea seem to be gone and kissmangas front page is down , mangafox is slow, whats next to go down....
Niello
I don't currently see an anime this season that really stands out from the others. Right now if I have to rank them
1) Miira no kaikata
2) Kokkoku
3) Sora yori mo tooi basho
4) Koi wa ameagari no you ni
5) Takagi-san.
Not counting Devilman Crybaby since it's already finished.
Niello
@Eoghan I love Urobuchi and still find the Godzilla film weak.
I just looked through the nominations for the Crunchyroll Anime Awards and to my surprise, it's a pretty solid lineups. Find myself agreeing with most of their choices there
Actually forgot about it.
I don't know why you don't just read kara no shoujo 2 instead.
And Himawari is actually boring me. It's proving difficult to push myself though just to see where the point that makes it highly regarded comes in.
@Aidan: In the end I was pretty much curious about it.
Yep, that's it. Gonna stop discord displaying what I play from now on. It's weird when people comment on it.
Now my current rankings: 1. Devilman
2.Junji itou
3. sangatsu
4. Cardcaptor sakura
5. Pop team
6. Evergarden.
*Aidan
I'm joking obviously, but I am surprised to see you playing Himawari Aiden.
Oh Aidan you and your lolicon visual novel you =P
@Alonaria: Shin Godzilla had the evolving godzilla thing and that freaky ass final shot too, it also justified itself quite well i think by showing how relevent he is today, given the nuclear thing and that it drew on the Fukushima incident essentially.
@Alonaria: Thats a far better and shorter way of putting it than I.
Alonaria
I wish I'd just waited for the other parts of the Godzilla movie trilogy to be released. As it is, I'm just going to remember it as "that incomplete movie." And the character designs kind of blurred together for me, which was really disorienting.
Oh psgels is back
But I've seen other Godzilla things so I pretty much was supposed to see this anyway.
Or you know you could always take what I said with a pinch of salt, because you know....I don't get on with Urobutcher.
The idea behind it is definately cool and a different spin for the franchise though.
Maybe I was held back a bit by the cgi or the mediorce voice acting.
But I'd need to see its followup before properly assessing it.
Godzilla often makes for silly films, but lke alot of silly older films the silliness and seriousness combine without clashing, this one is too Poe faced .
I saw that Godzilla anime film, I'd describe it as watchable in parts but far too caught up in setup mode and an unlikeable protaganist , it could go somewhere with what it raised at the start but this is an example of a first film in a trilogy that suffers from being unable to currently stand on its own.
I generally feel that Itou's stories have a winning track record but theres exceptions, Uzumaki and Gyo in manga form struggle toward the end and the first episode story the anime chose to adapt is, while fun one of the weaker offerings.
Alonaria
Honestly, the shorter stories have been more effective at getting a reaction out of me, though. I actually didn't really enjoy the first episode's first story, mostly because I found the MC too obnoxious. :.D Maybe because my younger brother chased me with a bug once and it was really unpleasant. XD
@Anon: It wasn't just it coming out of her mouth, but when they were stamping on them too.
@Kaiser: Yah, I was horrified for like 5 seconds but the other characters made me crack up. :.D
Although it was mixed in with laughing my ass of eventually.
Of all the Itou stories to be un-nerved by, its the second half of this third episode oddly that does it for me and I never get uncomfortable during anything .
@Anon, We are working on it.
Are you planning on making a top anime of 2017 list?
Yeah Mash is one of the few good ones it seems.
Oh damn, good that you remind me, I didn't pick anything yet. But I guess I will go with Altera, considering that some of them don't look that good and I own her anyway. Would have wanted the Scat one but the drawing looks weird.
Which Bond CE did you pick for the 2 mill? I went with the Mash one. Only only whose artwork I liked.
Might settle for making Bryn my endgame lancer though.
As I said in my Apocrypha post, I have no interest in any version of Jeanne. My top priorities for my endgame team is Isekander, Scathach and assassin Shiki. And Shiki is a welfare so only need to worry about the other two.
Yeah, I was considering to keep rolling for the new 4* at first but I really want Jeanne Alter and she's coming soon.
@Amagi, I tried rolling for Karna and got nothing. Though I think Bryn is better. I plan on rolling one more time with the saint quartz we are getting to try for NP2. Though we do have the valintines event coming.
@Aidan: Same here, just got Brynhildr. Even though I already got Karna last month. But I wanted her, nice design, finally a single-targed 5* and she's even one of the few servants related to my country.
@SuperMario. The contemplation of the death of humanity, and the loneliness, both were very disturbing to me. Kinda like thinking of my grave.
YANDERE GET. Bryn's mine baby.
Gonna try rolling for Brynhildr tomorrow. Bit annoyed they chose to translate it as Brynhild. I mean it's not incorrect but her name is far more recognisable as Brynhildr
@Amagi, The grind wasn't that bad for me. Mordred carried me for it. Though I managed to get Siegfried in the gacha despite not being on rate up. I admit that the event was rather lackluster. Story wasn't that fun and the whole saber restriction was a pain. Also gonna take me a while to readjust to regular damage.
Man that FGO Saber Wars event was annoying. I am happy finally I have 2 mio. altrium now and am done with it.
Reminder that netflix Godzilla anime is later today.
Damn I didn't noticed that ankle band of the little demon from the intro scene of FranXX 01, now I feel stupid.
Yuasa is great! Ping pong and Tatami Galaxy are still some of my favorites
Oh fuck, the lead singer of the Cranberries passed away. I literally just listened to their music yesterday. Damnn, sad news
@Kaiser; thanks for considering me but I believe Wooper is much more a Yuasa's fan than I am
Far out!!!
SuperWooper
Yuasa will be answering questions on Reddit's anime board on the 20th.
@Niello: what do you mean regarding Yuasa?
@Travlos: I agree that Girls Last Tour is a special little gem, but in what ways it's disturbing?
Niello
Holy cow, Masaaki Yuasa AMA!! What magic is this?
Niello
Meawhile, Japan took a different approach and we ends up with a bunch of .hack rehash and diving more and more into escapism. Until we eventually got isekai and then it just spiraled into a sea of mediocrity.
Niello
While that opened its own can of worms, at least it opens up element about making ends meet, managing irl relationships, earning extra income for a poor family, getting cheated etc.
Niello
in the characters real life just fine. Something more a long the line of Net-juu but more technologically advanced. And I would say that plenty of those have been superior to Japanese online game and isekai story shenanigans. That said, it doesn't mean that those don't have their own kind of traps they usually fall in. A bunch of those instead focus on the aspect of making money off of games.
Niello
...Getting stuck in a virtual reality game and being transport to another world that happens to be like a game are completely different though. I don't know what is it with Japan and getting stuck in game plots considering that there are loads of other game-base Asian novels that came before it that manage story lines where they manage to tell compelling stories in game while balancing what happen
I finally finished Girls Last Tour. What a profound, fluffy and disturbing masterpiece. Bravo.
Yeah. I feel the world swap is pretty much pointless when real life isn't relevant anymore. It's just a stupid as hell excuse to combine fantasy wish fullfilment with self-inserts, which is why these main characters tend to be 29 by now, just like the big part of the otaku community.
Of those you listed, no, I dont think they get explained? I mean, SAO did, but I dont think that falls into your category.

Thats why I liked .hack//sign over alot of more modern game Isekai. Also .hack//sign did explain what happened to Tsukasa.
Considering how bad most of these are I wouldn't wonder if they wouldn't even bother with an explanation and just end it with the characters being happy in that game world and that's it. Or magic and the whole harem gets transported into reality at the end because power of love and such.
I have no problem with a sci-fi fantasy mix, I liked .hack//sign for example, but it annoys me that such an incredibly bizarre situation gets never explained. Or maybe it will but it never happened so far because none of these LNs was ever finished and concluded yet. I just wish to know how they explain that.
I mean all those shows in which the character just finds himself stuck in a real world that's (coincidentally?) the same as the game he recently played. Be it Overlord, Death March, Log Horizon or the 300 other series with that premise.
Some thing that always bothered me about game isekai for which I never got an answer so far: did any of those series ever end and/or explain how the warp has happened and why the MC is in the game? - Not talking about .hack, SAO and such where the action of getting trapped is part of the premise
Niel
@Eoghan - Btw, Kokkoku isn't a time travel. it's stasis, apparently. Looks very promising so far. Though if I am to trust the manga score, it's shit.
Niel
But is Toradora really slice of life? As far as I can see it's straight up romance.
And Mario, ill rag on SOL all I want! :P

Wooper, its true good shows transcend genre, as there are still some like Toradora I like, but those are exceptions that prove the rule so to speak.
@Niel, yeah I base my potential % on the odds something gets/stays good.
I am of similar mindset about Franxx. I want it to get better but I don't really see it doing so. Unless the other characters get a majority personality boost or the MC stops being a plank.
Niel
XD
I confess....I only sat through just over half an episode of aldonoah.
Niel
Since it's Trigger, I will give the benefit of the doubt. I'm just very skeptical about this whole formula.
Niel
The way I can see this series improving is through world building. And if other aspects are going to improve too, it's going to revolve around that.
Niel
It leaves about as much impression on me as much as the first episode of Aldnoah did, and I dropped that one straight away. The character chemistry doesn't look like it will go places that's not cliche. The gimmick doesn't seem like it has much potential either.
Niel
So you're all betting it on "this is going to get better". I mean, I hope it gets better. Though right now this feels more Kiznaiver than Kill la Kill or LWA.
I'd nominate Mario to do the devilman review as he's the most immediate Yuasa fan to do it and Bam is too awol to write it.
The cute girl shows just bleed and blend in my mind now, same with the isekai shows.
Devilman, my show of the season, unless after the rain ends up having some emotional wallop.
So for me its looking like: Junji itou, Cardcaptor sakura, keeping up with sangatsu, wait and see on amegari . Not watching a time travel or trigger show and I remain unable to sit through Mahoutsukai .
The story itself is generic so far but so are most Trigger series at the beginning so not sure. Maybe it will stay weak, but in general I prefer series that start with the weaker episodes and get better and better over time over the many series that use up all of their budget and trump cards in the first episode and drag on after that.
I really love Trigger's esthetics and their characters. I am happy they're more often involved in non-trigger-only productions because I honestly think that most of the stuff I enjoyed about FranXX was heavily influenced by them.
@Nielo: Franxx's first ep was stellar for me. Storywise, it's lackluster (and I see the similar in tropes between this and Beatless) but production-wise it's excellent
I think I just keep watching it on a weekly basis. Still trippy as hell
Okay, I just watched second episode of Devilman Crybaby and it's still pretty good.
Nielo
By the way, what's up with Darling in the Franxx? I thought it's a very weak first episode.
Nielo
@Lenlo: Slice of life isn't my thing either, and I usually avoid series set in high school.
Nielo
@SuperMario: Takagi-san is cute, I'll admit that, but since I already read the manga it's not new to me. Sora Yori is good, but it's not particularly cute. I found Hakumei to Mikochi and Yuru Camp very boring. Haven't got the chance to watch Mitsuboshi Colors or Gakuen Babysisters but I don't think they could be more cute than Mii-kun.
SuperWooper
HOT TAKE: Genre is irrelevant. What matters is whether a show is good.
Don't knock off MY genre Lenlo. It's one of the reason I got into anime in the first place :)
Im not saying it doesn't do what it sets out to. I just don't think what it sets out to do is all that... great.
@Niello, Slice of Life was never my Genre in the first place :/ I typically avoid them. I have my own life to deal with and already graduated high school, why would I want to deal with a melodramatic anime highschool, is my line of thought.
@Niello: okay, let's see:Takagi-san (the titular character), Mitsuboshi Colors, Gakuen Babysisters (Toddlers!!), Hakumei to Milochi (tiny girls) and two more slightly more mature but equally cute: Sora Yori and Yuru Camp's casts
Nielllo
@SuperMario: I'm sure this is where our definition of "cute" parts way, but I'll ask anyway, what are those 5 shows?
@Niello: seems so because I can eaisily pick 5 more shows that are cuter, and better than Mummy this season ;)
Nielllo
...So I suppose I'm the only one who's kinda bored out by a lot of the slice of life shows that's trying to be cute this season and only perked up by the Mummy anime because it's actually do what it's meant to do and be legit cute.
I am interested in Koi, but still have concern about the relationship itself.

@Vonter, the mummy anime would be better as short vignettes together I feel.
Koi amegari is surprisingly tasteful, subdued and pretty.
*to where
Try as I might, my love of kyoani tv anime has largely evaporated did where I no longer want to bother at this stage, I'll just wait and see. I'll just stay quiet on the franxx anime, theres little value in me trying to get through a trigger work at this point.
I get the exact same feeling with Takagi-san. It's pretty good on what it does but 20 minutes of the same thing for a whole season doesn't sound that promising
The chibi mummy anime
It's a shame it isn't a shorter 10 or 5 minute series, I think that format would make it shine more, since it does what it's trying to do.
Speaking of it, I liked the second episode of Kokkuko or whatever the name is even more than the first one.
I really have a problem with all these shows that rely on one single thing, joke, shenanigan or whatever. Be it something cute, some certain kind of interactiong or whatever. It doesn't matter how good it is it will bore me with episode 2.
Like, yeah, the mummy was cute. But the cute became rote/bland really quick. There has to be more than "cute" to be worth watching for more than a single episode to me.
@Niello, I was harsh because its not aimed at me. I wanted to drop it 5 minutes in, kept up for the post, then was thankful it was over. There wasnt anything overtly bad about it. Its just there was nothing good either.
To be fair it's not as if we are lacking cute in this season.
In fact it's in danger of inflation.
@Niello: yes, the mummy is cute, the show is cute but beside that it's pretty mediocre. That show in particular is the only show that I have the damnest time to give it a potential rating.
Niello
It's not even down because of legal reasons, since the site pull down contents that are lincensed. It's down cause it's too much for the site owner to manage. Much of it also have to do with too many bots, which comes back to how a lot of other sites are relying on batoto.
Niello
@Masky: Not enough manga titles are getting translated. Batoto is the site scanlation groups basically rely on, and where other aggregation sites pull their content from. No batoto no obscure titles, a big blow to small scantation groups and one big manga/scanlator community down.
Niello
Why are you guys so harsh on the mummy show? It's so darn cute. Give it some credit. If a comedy show can be good because it does comedy well I don't see why a show ike Mummy can't be good if it can make people go "aww".
I don't really know why that is the case, maybe marketing budget and UI friendliness when done right? :P
Eh, wouldn't say it will kill manga industry. I mean, more and more official methods of reading manga online is starting to pop up and legit channels to pay to get access to manga can surprisingly enough harm free channels to get manga.
Anyway, I do find it funny how how the isekai character dies can be so meaningless that is joke in most of them
Niello
Batoto is going down, how this affect the manga reading is going to be interesting. Hope it's not slowly dying.
(at least that one, besides forgetting to introduce what the heck is gimmick besides generickness, acknowledged how most of otaku mcs shouldn't erally want to get transferred to fantasy world since they never get to see how their favourite mangas end :P )
Anyhoo, it gets annoying since its not just isekai being cliche, sometimes is just them being kind of badly written(or at least adapted to manga). Like, I found one new isekai today, but I have no idea what its gimmick is(from what I understood, its that "cute companion" that character gets is hideously op because mc didn't spefy cute girl when he asked god manager dude for cute companion)
Slime one is one of better from the more generic ones weirdly enough :P I mean I still wouldn't call it good, but at least MC character isn't god tier, just top tier and it has sort of village building simulation feel to it. Plus at least naming things giving monsters more powers is something funny regarding jrpg mechanics
Or alternatively the car was on a boat with the character or parents in it and the boat and car were hit by a falling plane lol
Its always "car accident" that sends the characters to another world or in harem cases "Lost parents due to car crash", for christs sake doesn't anyone die in out of control plane or speedboat crashes anymore, at least make it a motorbike....
Nayrael
Ah sorry, should probably not have touched the colors...
Nayrael
Trust me, Isekai is better when it doesn't try to be imaginative. When it tries to be original then... Isekai with a Smartphone... Isekai where the MC turns into a Slime... and my favorite: Isekai where the MC became a Hot Spring popular with sexy girls.
Assuming "new" things can happen under the sun
Anyhoo, I do wonder what the heck will be next "popular genre trope that will become so overused cliche that everyone groans whenever show uses it even if its actually good show"
Like, seriously you could do really interesting story variant on isekai with that if done right. Suddenly becoming characters you have roleplayed would be trippy as hell espicially if one of characters went really into detail with backstory while one of them is just "Bob the fighter, he likes fighting" and has to deal with what happens when you assume life of such a person
But I wouldn't honestly be surprised because of my anger issues related to amount of unimaginative isekai :P Though I guess trpg based one would be more imaginative in comparison
I'd assume not since I assume tabletop rpgs are much more niche than jrpgs in japan
So has anyone yet done isekai where guys getting transferred were playing trpg? :P
quite happy with most recent Attack of Titan manga chapter.
Alright, one more impression post to go before we really get on to new season
@Kaiser: yep, I just fixed it. Thank you
*than just the reviewers names
A slight problem with the coding there in the newest impression, showing code gobbledeegook rather than the reviewers names above their impressions.
@Mario: I'm seeing it on 2nd of February.
@Mario: Late screeners generally leak shortly after the uk release, so maybe early Febbruary it'll be online?
@Kaiser: yep, Phantom Thread. Could be Daniel Day Lewis's final performance. Is it available online already?
@Mario: Did you know that Paul Thomas Anderso8n has a new film coming out? Also I found out there is a Polish semi-knockoff of purple rose of cairo.
Awesome, just got myself an invite to a secret private torrent site =)
@Kaiser When I was in University, I was a waiter at a Korean-owned Japanese Sushi restaurant with a kitchen staff of entirely Mexicans with poor English. The owner, while he provided the rest of his staff with small meals during our lunch or dinner shifts, never game any to the kitchen staff. The guy even ranted to a customer about how "lazy" or "ignorant" they were.
Buses are pretty common in America, even outside the major super-cities like LA, NYC, or Chicago. It's public rail you're thinking of that we don't have much of outside the cities.
I brought up the racisim/aunt story wondering if anyone had any horror stories about where they worked?

After the Rain – 02 [Rain Drops on Green Leaves]

It has been exactly a year since I last blogged you, noitaminA shows, and this time again it’s another romance drama. Unlike Scum’s Wish last year, however, Ameagari has one simple premise, but it executes the idea with such grace. This second episode is even stronger than the first, setting the stepping stone for Tachibana […]

Violet Evergarden – 02 [Never Coming Back]

I’m thankful that this second episode plays out much quieter and more subtle than the first, because I’m not a fan at all with the grandeur approach of the first episode. This makes the second week of Violet slightly better than last week, but I still find myself not totally satisfied with the whole experience. […]

Kokkoku – 2 [The Second Moment]

Hello and welcome to the 2018 Winter season! This time, we have an interesting little time-based drama called Kokkoku. It has mystery, it has cults, it has dead-beat parents and apparent god-like beings. Lets jump in! To start, a quick blurb about our characters. Personally, I like them so far. They are all flawed and imperfect […]

A Place Further than the Universe – 03 [The Follow Backs Don’t Stop]

“I could just die right now” That line, spoken by our new member, Yuzuki, bookends this week’s Universe. It marks the shift in the new girl’s character growth. Last week, the Expedition girls mentioned they have a plan to raise fund, right? Turns out it’s not the mother, but the young girl herself, is used […]

Junji Ito Collection – 02[Fashion Model, Long Dreams]

After the first episode started off as a black comedy, I was worried that this series may suffer the same problem as Kino’s Journey in that the weaker stories in his work would be chosen for adaption. Lucky this does not appear to be the case but there is another problem which is not quite […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 13/14 [East, West, Homes Best]/[Looks breed love]

Hello and welcome to the new year! New Year, a new Cour for Mahoutsukai no Yome, this time with slightly more plot. These past two weeks have been a bumpy ride of Mahoutsukai, with plenty to talk about. So let’s jump in! To start off, the new OP is terrible. The music isn’t as good […]

A Place Further than the Universe – 02 [Kabukicho Fremantle]

I’m glad that this second episode addresses straight out all my worries from the first episode: the actual implementation to make that trip a reality, because boy, it’s no simple matter. Universe apparently does its research, telling us exactly places they need to go, the initial trip ahead and the amount of money they need […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 33/34 [Where the Sun Shines…Light]

It’s been three weeks since my last 3-gatsu post, a gap owed in part to the break the show took around New Years’. Perhaps it’s because of all that time away from the series, or maybe it’s due to the massive difference between these two episodes, but I had a tough time connecting with the […]

Dies Irae – 10/11[Einherjar/Self-Destruction Factor]

Quite late in covering this one though out of the three shows I covered for the fall season my level of interest in this series has more or less evaporated. Truth be told, while this is a episode review of ten and eleven, i honestly cannot even remember what happened in episode ten. I think […]

In This Corner of the World (2016) Movie Review – 90/100

In this Corner of the World (for the purpose of this review, I’ll refer it as “Corner”), is the truest slice of life drama if you ever encounter one, in that it’s a slice into an ordinary life of an ordinary girl during the War period. That speaks into the very first strength of Corner, […]

Houseki no Kuni (Fall 2017) Review – 92/100

Make no mistake, Houseki no Kuni is the most ambitious anime project of the year. Not only because it’s an entirely CG project (and make a damn good use of it, mind you), or because of its narrative scope that at once strange, grand and beauty, but also in its very conception in their production […]

Fate/Apocrypha Anime Review – 64/100

I was quite excited for Apocrypha and in the so called year of Fate adaptations, it looked to be the crown jewel. Sadly, partly due to lacking adaption and the source lacking in areas, this anime turned out to be not quite the jewel I thought it would be. It’s hard to call this a […]

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World Anime Review – 73/100

One of the surprises of the year was to see the return of Kino’s Journey, a very well regarded and more unique anime among those deemed classic. Many, myself included, were very much looking forward to the return of Kino and her talking Motorrad. Though due to some factors this series doesn’t quite live up […]

Girls’ Last Tour (Fall 2017) Review – 86/100

Girls’ Last Tour falls within my favorite new trend that emerging the anime medium over the last decade: a dark moe anime. Set in a post-apocalyptic world where the human race has almost extinct, our two girls wandering around the world in their kettenkrad looking for food and shelter. If it sounds a bit bleak […]

Two tales of War: Reviewing The Heroic Legend of Arslan and Altair: A Record of Battles

It would not be an exaggeration to say that my favorite type of anime is the political-military epic. This comes partly out of my profession, I study war and politics, but also my hobby, as military and political history is something I enjoy. When it comes to anime there is a clear sub-category that can […]

The Night is Short, Walk On Girl (2017) Movie Review – 92.5/100

“How many decades have passed since our drinking contest?” “It hasn’t been that long. It was only a few hours ago, this very night!” That gap in time perceiving plays a significant role in Night is Short. For you see, it all depends on how our perception of the surroundings and time itself can affect […]

Ballroom e Youkoso Review – 65/100

In the weeks leading up to the summer 2017 season, Ballroom e Youkoso was one of the most buzzed-about new series. Produced by the Production I.G. team responsible for the smash hit Haikyuu!!, and set to air on Amazon’s brand new Anime Strike service, the series had no shortage of promotion or hype behind it. […]

Inuyashiki Review – 80/100

Do you know what the average age of an anime protagonist is? Neither do I, but I’d wager its in the upper teens. For obvious reasons, most anime focus on high school and have high school aged protagonists with similarly aged problems. Its not often that we get a good older main character, who has […]