Posted by psgels on 8 July 2010 with categories: Shiki, Some Quick First Impressions

Shiki

Short Synopsis: Our lead character is a typical teen-aged girl who doesn’t like the place she’s grow up in.
Well.. so this series really has an issue with its character-designs. The unimportant characters are fine, and the females range from decent-looking teenagers to actually great looking parents. But the males, dear god, the poor males. Some of these guys look absolutely atrocious. What were the creators thinking here? Either way though: putting that aside, then this was a really excellent first episode. The direction was snappy and creative, and it proved to give a great cliff-hanger to its first episode. The horror was subtle yet at the same time in your face when it mattered. This is another one of those series that play in an isolated Japanese village, and the creators did a really good job in portraying the silent and remote nature of this village, full of older people and farmers about to hit retirement. The art direction was really good, and really made this episode interesting to look at whenever the males weren’t in the picture. This episode already showed that it’s great at building up an atmosphere and fleshing out a single character over a single episode. Noitamina looks like it’s going to be awesome this season as well!
OP: Best OP of the season.
ED: Hmm, badly sung.
Potential: 90%

Strike Witches 2

Short Synopsis: Our lead character originally thought that she wouldn’t be fighting anymore, but returns to the battlefield anyway.
Strike Witches… makes no sense. Seriously, any attempts to give any logical criticism to it are the equivalent of gathering a small army to kick in an open door, so therefore I won’t. Instead, it’s a series that’s all about its characters, and weird ideas for its setting and scenarios. Since the first season was obviously produced without this second season in mind, this episode merely serves to put things back into status quo by pulling the lead character out of retirement and having the enemies that were previously thought to be destroyed return. Right now, the second season will probably have more time to explore the different characters, plus it looks like we’ll also get more dime to delve into the cause of all of the evil monsters, which never really was explained in that first season. Either way, this episode pretty much showed that this really is going to be much of the same: if you liked it, then you’ll probably like this series as well as it wasn’t an entirely shallow series, and if you hated it you’re going to hate it even more because nothing much has improved. Personally, it wasn’t that much of a chore to watch the first season, but did it deserve the incredible amount of DVD sales? Of course not. This series is fluff. Charming fluff, but fluff nonetheless.
OP: Pretty much a carbon copy of your standard OP
ED: Pretty much a carbon copy of your standard ED
Potential: 35%

Stitch! Zutto Saikou no Tomodachi

Short Synopsis: Our lead character moves to a new high school with her troublesome alien friend.
I watched the first episode of this one back in 2008, so I figured that I might as well check out what happened to it. But seriously, it has really derailed in the process! The show devolved into some really weird combination between japanese and american kids’ shows. The villains are terribly incompetent morons like you always see in those uninspired american kids’ shows, while this episode showed the lead character as she moved to a new school, gets the attention of the hottest classmate and makes enemies with a spoiled rich girl, in typical Japanese fashion. I mean, East meeting West is nice and all, but that still is no excuse for a kids’ show to treat its audience like idiots. I mean, there are times at which this series tries to educate its audience when Stitch causes trouble (seriously, this thing is like a trouble magnet. For him, entering a door becomes an entire adventure of hopping across the room while breaking as much in the process as possible), but right at the start we see him steal a bunch of donuts and nobody even squeaks at it. Be consistent, dammit!
OP: I really believe that the creators should have put more than 2 minutes into composing this thing.
Potential: 0%

1. Solaris says:

Oh what a surprise to find an high 35% potential in Strike Lolis. I’d say you bashed this mercilessly if i didn’t read it with my own eyes. I’m rather happy to hear somebody ho can put Strike Witches on the right place on the shelf after the crap i read in many blogs before, bashing it cause of the pantsu-ness incident (can i make up this brand new word, can’t i?). This is a series that’s good for some mindless enterteinment and nothing more, so let’s lovce it for what it is.

2. Rockmanshii says:

I still remember the shock when I read a volume of the strike witch light novel, it was about girls in the army who wanted to regain their honor, who was anxious, there was emotions .I can’t believe how they turn a lot of franchise into mindless fanservice when they animate it.One other example is Rosario + Vampire.

3. Shippoyasha says:

STRIKE WITCHES!!!!!! I don’t care if it’s a shallow moe-fest. First season was ludicrous and fun and that’s all I need out of a fanservice anime.

4. AKI says:

Strike Lolis, Lolz. Oh wait, Gonzo went bankrupt, didn’t they? Is this the same Gonzo trainwreck or is another company milking the franchise?

5. psgels psgels says:

This time, it’s AIC who’s milking it. ;)

But was it really a trainwreck? For me, the first season didn’t have enough momentum to really fall apart like a trainwreck. There are a lot of things wrong with the show, yeah. But compared to most of the other mindless moe series, it had its charms.

6. Kalandra says:

Wow Strike Witches managed 35%! That -70% series must be really really bad.

7. Aegd says:

Strike Witches, more like Stroke witches. Get it. Get it?? All you loli-pervs should understand what I’m saying.

Anyway, it’s a horrible show. Not even fire can cleanse it. It’s beyond saving, much like Seikon no Qwaser, Witch’s blade, KissXSiss and so on.

8. Sinisgood says:

@Aegd
    I sense some deep-seated resentment when it comes to shows that are heavy in fanservice. And it’s not right to compare Strike Witches with shows like SnQ and KissXSis, as those shows are loaded down with strong sexual situations. Strike Witches is just panty shots. Does that really deserve the same “loli-perv” label as a show that features a guy being pursued by his 2 sisters? Or even Seikon no Quaser, where there is ample breast-sucking? Both of those shows are much more sexual in nature, its not even the same type of fanservice as Strike Witches.

I’m usually for letting people’s opinions go without saying anything, but this time I wanted to share my own. I, as well as many others, enjoy fanservice in our anime, and not out of a place of perversion (I’m speaking for myself, of course.)

9. Solaris says:

Sinisgood just leave the troll alone, he’s not even worth answering.

10. mds says:

Shiki : no,our lead characters aren’t that teen-aged girl…

11. UnknownVoice says:

———–

Loved the first episode. Its good that they stuck with manga and manga designs and did not try to mainstream-ize everything.

The only gripe is that I saw the whole truck-driver scene as more of shocking, than they did.

5/5 easily.

This as well as HOTD are the only good shows this season…sadly.

12. Etrangere says:

… I think I hate those character design in Shiki once animated even more than I hated them in the first volume of the manga. It’s going to be tough to stick to this one just on the strength of Fuyumi Ono’s name.

13. Frost says:

Really liked Shiki, something about it reminds me of Higurashi… Probably the rural setting

Its good to see theres actually a lot of decent anime this season, better than winter for sure

14. m says:

I’d like to blame Daume for this, but really the anachronistic Jump characters are the mangaka’s brain fart; they just look worse in color.

But all I’ve got this season is Seikimatsu Occult Gakuin and this. I learn a lesson or two from Megumi and appreciate the grass on this side of the fence a little. I’m betting the writing makes up for everything else, and the setting actually looks pretty good.

15. Machi says:

Um for Shiki the art style of the artist really just does tend to draw men that way XD. Though I never found it jarring, I actually liked it, to each his own I guess :P. Maybe it’ll grow on you with each episode.

16. Denizen says:

One thing I liked about Shi Ki is that there was no highschool shown. That’s just so refreshing..

17. Hunter-Wolf says:

@UnknownVoice

Those two only .. why !!? there are many good animes this new season so far … Shiki, Highschool of the Dead, Occult Academy … even Ookamisan turned out to be very entertaining even if some might label it too “moe” or “stereotypical” .. maybe a little but i don’t give a damn .. they can enjoy all their manly fresh anime away from it XD .. i actually liked it a lot and specially loved the storytelling (the narrator being present during the whole episode and using the authentic storytelling style) and all the fairytales references were crazy XD

I still have “Mago” and “Legend of Legendery Heroes” on my radar … i hope Mago isn’t a typical shonen (more like FMA i’d prefer) and hope Legend turns out to be a good coherent fantasy series .. i will watch their 1st episodes as soon as i can get them.

Hope psgels gets to say his impressions about them too (i mean Legend of Legendery Heroes and Ookamisan)

18. slivermoon says:

I haven’t finished watching the first episode of Shiki but when I took a glance at your first impressions for the OP, it made me happy. Go BUCK-TICK!

19. Bruce says:

Shiki’s OP rocks. I love it.

Like you said, all of the males look weird. They all have super pointy chin syndrome for some reason; it’s like whoever made the character designs can only draw old men/women or teenage girls.

20. UnknownVoice says:

@ Hunter-Wolf
    Occult Academy was a major disappointment. I expected a refined interesting hsow with more strong sense of humor. What I got is mainstream comedy show with stereotypes and comedy gags.

Ookamisan is pure shite and I don’t even plan on trying it. Pictures were enough to put me off.

Legend of Legendery Heroes was boring as hell with forced comedy and parodies.

NnoMago was a typical shonen show full of cliches and I had enough of typical shonen shows full of cliches.

Thus yes, only HOTD and SHIKI are good this season.

21. Nomus says:

Hinamizawa 2010, hmmm. Wasn’t that dog a Dennou Coil ripoff?

22. animedyum says:

Anyone saw Twin Peaks? Shiki reminds me of it except vampire stuff. Isolated village, hateful and wannabe independent girl, murder(s)…

23. Des! says:

The lead character is not megumi. well shall not be a spoiler for non-manga readers :/

24. Hunter-Wolf says:

@UnknownVoice

Ahm … what !? .. HotD doesn’t even come close to Occult Academy .. it might be intense and well made but it’s no way near OA .. it is also very obvious that there is way more than just comedy in OA (wish pretty damn well done) .. first and foremost it’s a show about supernatural phenomena and western occult and even has some horror elements (the agent that got eaten by the huge bat/moth at the beginning and Maya facin-off aganist her possessed father and beheading him with an axe) .. it’s far and no way close to what’s mainstream .. you want mainstream .. that’s things like K-ON!! or Campanella … the show is really excellent on all fronts until now and is pretty damn refined … I think the problem was with your expectations with the show not the show itself (i don’t even know what you based them on) .. but that’s just my opinion XD

Speaking of mainstream .. you judged “Ookami” before even watching a single episode .. wow .. way to go .. sigh .. So-Ra-No-Wo-To didn’t teach people anything about not judging shows from pics .. that’s really sad.

I haven’t watched Mago or Legend yet so i can’t say if i agree or disagree with you but we will wait and see.

25. UnknownVoice says:

@ Hunter-Wolf

Just as I said, Occult Academy is a shallow mishmash of everything viewers could want glued together by just as shallow comedy.

Oh and SoranoPointlessMoeBlob was good according to you? Wow. We’ll agree to disagree I guess. Could not stand that show. It had such a potential in setting, yet it was wasted on the most commercial things possible

26. Bruce says:

@animedyum: Not really, since isolated villages are possibly the most generic setting possible for a horror series. Not that it’s a bad setting, persay, just sort of overused.

27. Solaris says:

Sorry to say that, Hunter-Wolf, your opinion is biased from the very start by your own nick. Ookamisan would be good for noting more than low level entertainment to forget one day after its own end. It’s heavily stereotyped, has way too much fanservice and little originality, quite bad drawn chars and idiotic chars and has an obnoxious narration (aah pity to hear mah Kuroko like that T_T) on top of all.

28. m says:

Ahem. My opinion isn’t biased. How could my opinion be biased? It’s my opinion, and it is therefore an unassailable consequence of the vibrational state of the corresponding molecules of my person. Therefore anyone that disagrees with my opinions is wrong and smelly.

Anime is not that unpopular punk band from your neighborhood that you listen to because no one else likes it. Some series, like Kaiba, are more risky than others, but by and large the industry is too risk-averse to rock the boat much. It costs at least hundreds of thousands of USD to produce one of these shows, with production so lean it makes research grants look generous, so it’s not that surprising. The shows are adapted to and tailored for certain niches that are small as a percentage of the broader population, often from pre-existing franchises.
    Highschool of the Dead, for example, as you know, was a (and maybe is, if they ever started it up again, which seems likely if they’re bothering to fund the anime) manga published in a shounen monthly written by a reasonably-successful alt-history author in the stupidly-stale zombie apocalypse genre. To which Madhouse (an animation megaopulus that has produced so many shows and animated movies that listing them would take more space than my turgid comment) has added in additional fan service material for characters that are already transparently engineered for sensuality and mellowed the gore. That is some sugary sweet commercialism, baby, so I hope no one here has diabetes and just went into a coma.
    Shiki on the other hand is based upon a reasonably-popular novel’s manga adaptation serialized in little-known Jump Square along with such obscure upstarts as Kure-nai, Tegami Bachi, Rosario + Vampire II, and Claymore. Maybe you’ve heard of them, and if not you might listen closely at night and sometimes overhear the haunting sound of my not-so-manly tears after seeing my money disappear when importing Tegami Bachi tankoubon. The manga is only written by the author of the very-obscure Ghost Hunt and drawn by a regular Jump contributor whose other popular work, Houshin Engi was previously adapted into an anime. It however didn’t get a 100 episode run, so I suppise it’s not too commercial.

I too sometimes suffer from the repetition endemic to mass market fiction across a variety of mediums. It becomes boring and then it’s hard to obtain much enjoyment from consuming it. The opportunity cost of consuming any particular time sink gets too high and I end up doing something else. The adaptation to certain domestic niches creates a lot of product I don’t care about. But I would probably cool my jets a little if I started repeating the same ‘mainstream’ ‘commercial’ rationalizations to my Internet trolling over what is very ‘commercial’ material.

People arguing over their respective tastes makes my brain bleed. At least if I die from that I won’t become a zombie.

29. Alt says:

If they really do it from her perspective it will be interesting. Yes I am a manga reader.

30. Solaris says:

Sorry M, i didn’t catch the point of your essay.

Beside that High School of the Dead has another level of fanservice in the manga version. The author is also known for having made hentais and ecchi mangas too. What’s wrong with the anime version is the fanservice being toned down and reduced to that idiotic and useless level. They’d better cut it off completely or leave as it was on the manga. They’d give the anime two completetly different directions. But that timid choice just impaired the show imho.

31. meshed says:

Just because Hunter-Wolf had ‘Wolf’ in his name doesn’t mean that he’ll like all the Ookami shows out there LOL. … or wait do you?

I almost forgot about Shiki, but it was good. Unfortunately I have to agree with UnknownVoice; Shiki and HOTD are the ones with first episodes that made me interested in seeing the next episode this season. Occult Academy’s comedy didn’t quite work for me.

32. m says:

The bulk of my comment wasn’t directed toward your contribution, other than to apply some mirth to what was a glaring logical fallacy taken up in arms in a pointless argument. I could have just pointed it out directly, but I would rather amuse you than insult you. The subject of preferences in entertainment is inherently subjective, so of course he is biased, but to say that he is biased for such a crazy reason was pretty funny.

Another part of my comment is just a tongue-in-cheek expression of skepticism about the quality of this-or-that show vis-à-vis Highschool of the Dead and Shiki. These are all, for the demographic under consideration pretty mainstream shows, and they’re all really ‘commercial,’ just fishing in different bowls. Granted, some bowls have more fish in them.

The rest is a general pissing upstream motivated by the frustration that time-and-time again when people express their impressions of these shows, skirmishes over whether they’re objectively right or wrong to like or dislike them threaten to emerge. If you aren’t entertained by something, or if you would like more cowbell, then it doesn’t do any good to try to tell you you’re wrong. I like reading people’s opinions about shows, even if I don’t share them, and the reasons they provide for their opinions, but it can get tedious when it all goes south.
    When I see someone cite someone else’s moniker for why their opinion isn’t worthwhile it’s like a giant danger sign that the whole thing is headed for the drain.

Concise writing is unfortunately more time-consuming than brain dumps, and while people undoubtedly deserve better, I am a jerk.

33. Solaris says:

So, mr M, all that blabbering was cause i dared say Hunter-Wolf was biased by his own name? That pun was indeed pointed at him and meant for fun. I’d rather expect some arguing by that user rather than from you who weren’t questioned about.
    If i entitled my name like “Railgun-fan” shouldn’t that imply my preference toward that anime more than the opposite? Well i wanted to point out just that concept without making a fuss over it.

Anyhow his and my own tastes differ regarding ookami-san anime and there’s nothing wrong about that, isn’t there? Should i rather refrain from making comments cause i could hurt somebody’s else susceptivity?

34. m says:

The first and last line are the only thing even related to your comment in my post. Since you didn’t “get it” I have made some attempt to explain it for you at a great waste of everyone’s time. I gather that you aren’t a native English speaker, and it’s perhaps difficult to sort through text that wasn’t individually constructed for your benefit, so I hope that it is now clarified. To the remainder I would suggest rereading the third paragraph of my response, but since it may be too wordy for you, let me simply state that no, I don’t see that you shouldn’t express your preference for a show or why you feel that way.

35. Hunter-Wolf says:

@Solaris

Haha, never thought my nickname would start a debate like that … easy guys … maybe my nick is really making me biased .. since Ookami has a “wolf” and a “hunter” in it (the two main characters) .. so .. maybe .. who knows XD

@Unknownvoice
    Apperantly you don’t know what viewers want these days (check HoTD .. blunt fanservice, blood, senseless violence in bucketloads .. that or the other popular demand .. mindless moe shows full of fluff and cutesy character designs and lolis .. i.e Campanella) .. calling a pretty unique show with decent setting and production values “a mishmash of what viewers want” comes of as a very haphazard comment without much fact to back it up.

How many shows out there present that mix of horror, supernatural and comedy .. not many .. almost only Ghost Hound did .. most other horror shows are dead serious (shiki, Higurashi, etc etc) and most other comedy shows won’t even dare put a horror element .. not to mention how well designed the characters are (rare to see shows these days that have plausible hair-cuts + proper anatomy)

I don’t care if supernatural/horror mixed with comedy isn’t your cup-of-tea .. i don’t like sports shows .. that’s a matter of taste .. but i don’t go around bashing them or calling them mishmashes of whatever … so IMO calling OA “a mishmash of what viewers want” is just a big fallacy and doesn’t make any sense.

36. Snowolf says:

The main characters of Shiki are male, not female :D

But Shiki is a fantastic manga, wonderful art and a very interesting story. Let me tell you that it is fantasy though along with horror. Just to give you a heads up when you realize what the causes of the deaths are. *hint hint* But I’m so glad you’re doing two of my favorite mangas: Nurarihyon no Mago and Shiki! :D I look forward to what you think of them.

37. Snowolf says:

And I’d have to agree with M, by the way. People constructing a biased and unreasonable decision for judging a show because of it’s unoriginality are ridiculous.

There’s a certain quality of each genre which is put into the plot and style of a manga; it’s why some underdog mangas are so great and yet never really read, because while you choose quality over fandom, you sacrifice viewers. Highschool of the Dead deals with (SPOILERS) the undead as well as Shiki, but I prefer Shiki because of it’s well done build up of mystery and characters. It focuses more on a original point of view. HotD on the other hand, was a typical fanbased zombie show that has reasonable characters and animation. It is annoying that some of these great mangas (Tegami Bachi) because of their originality, don’t have a fanbase they deserve and thus get only a certain amount of episodes for an anime.

At least, this is what I got from M. Correct me if I’m wrong. :D

38. Solaris says:

How should i point out a show is sterotyped, flat and unoriginal in other way than declaring it out loud?
    And, how does it come if you make a show like shit with zero quality you’d gain more viewers? I dare say you’d just gain zero brain viewers that way…

… and that is the point Hunter-Wolf just remarked short before your comment: Today anime just follow the brainless and tastless desires of a bunch of idiotic otakus. That’s anime doom nowadays. Kudos to Hunter-Wolf for such a nice hint. (i don’t know if he’d really realize what he was implying though)

You know what, Snowolf? If im’m just redicolous when i point out they’re giving us shit for our brains to eat, either way you just deserve the shit you like so much. Wanna eat shit? You’re welcome.

39. Snowolf says:

……First, you should try and improve your logic and your grammar before posting. It might improve the little coherency in your backtalks and actually make them worth reading. Second, I don’t watch ‘shitty’ animes, I watch animes that I personally think are refreshing and original. Shiki fits this form in my opinion. If you want to troll on it, go ahead, that’s your opinion too, but at least try and be somewhat reformed and educational in your ‘shit’ talk before you start cursing at everyone and everything.

40. Solaris says:

Snowolf know your place and STFU.

41. psgels psgels says:

Uhm, solaris, snowolf: trolling is one thing, but you have to know when to stop.

@Lenlo: you know it when you see it. At first I didn't believe they jumped the shark, but based on the events after that twist, yep it has settled for something much cheaper imo.
For Bahamut, im still enjoying it and we have another cour to go. I think it, and the first Bahamut, are good shows. For Kado, im only on ep 4 so im very curious what shark gets jumped
I think given the pace I'll watch 1-2 or 2-3 episodes of re creators instead of once a week.
In the end Bahamut suffered the same fate as the first one, I could never call it a bad show, I just never ended up feeling it.
I've given my thoughts on tsuki ga kirei before on here but I'll add by saying that I never expected it and uchouten 2 (despite the weak wrap up I liked the lead up) to be my favourite of the season.
About five years ago or so could have seen myself really having been in the mood for LWA.
I wasn't as impressed with Uchoutens finale as Mario was,I found myself more annoyed by how clumsily done it all was.
For me kado jumped the shark with its latest direction and Aidans review along with flicking through this weeks episode kind of confirms I'm done with the show. A show I was initially unsure of but thought might become something.
@Anon, Yeah....at least LWA's finale was pretty good and I think there's a possibility of a second season. With the Criox/Chariot plot line out of the way I say they could really bank on it's potential. Even if they don't, this series was still quite enjoyable.
Man I couldn't agree more with Aidan about LWA and Kado. I still like and enjoy Kado but damn it could have been so much more.
Ntr trap appears to be a non-seinen/shounen yuri manga given its publication magazine.
Not all people work as fast, but that's what companies expect nowadays. Which is why CGI is preferred over practical effects. Or even why anime has used more 3D that painted backgrounds, cars or other props that take time and work to be drawn.
No. I get deadlines are tough. Companies and customers want everything made as fast as humanly possible, yet reality is that making things good takes time and money. I wouldn't be surprised that's why Berserk comes out every 6 months, the art is too detailed and the story is slow paced. Yet the anime was planned to be made in a year or two so it's evident either way, crunch is expected.
I think you misunderstood what he meant when he said the industry was a mess. Mangaka routinely work themselves into a hospital because of the demanding schedule
Then there's the franchise appeal. Which inherently gains something because of persistence, awareness and name. It is hard when great visual effort is mainly put in things that are guaranteed to be a hit, because original stuff tend to make mistakes to find their own identity. Which in itself makes them very risky affairs.
It's also a heavy flaw of the internet, having mainly binary opinions of good or bad. Which makes it hard to tell if you'll like something in the 7s like Nier or Alien 3 (might not be a 7 but opinions make it sound like it is). Divisive products that may or not may suit one's tastes.
Personally I think the issue has become what suits your tastes, what are you willing to give a chance and what hits beyond the medium it is presented.
@AidanAK47 "Manga in general is great but Jesus Christ the industry is a mess". - I mean, movies, games, and other entertainment have the same issue, since everyone has a big slice of the pie, yet there are like a million things competing for one's attention.
On that note, apart from the 3 shows I'n currently covering (Eccentric Family, Tsuki ga Kirei and ID-0), I will give a full review on Grimoire of Zero, a show that I feel rather difficult to pinpoint exactly on its quality.
Can't believe we approaching the final week of this current season. Gonna be a busy week of blogging with the usual weekly posts plus the final impressions.
@Anon1206174: I agree with you on both counts. And Sakura Quest has never been bad, but it could have been deeper and less messy. If you plan to watch ID-0 (I suggest you do), don't get your expectation too high because it works much better when you expect nothing of it. Like each episode I was genuinely surprised how good ID-0 actually is.
I remember one of Aidan's visual novel posts where he said theres potentially hundreds of VNs un-translated and LNs too, makes me wonder just how much un-translated manga we are missing out on.
Anonymous1206174
The ID-o posts sound pretty interesting, I am really thinking of dropping Sakura and watching this instead. Really loved the beginnign of Sakura and that abandoned town atmosphere it had, but I am not feeling it anymore. The recent episode about Shiori was great again though..
*looking
Then again he's an extremely forgetable person.
Oh Godammit, looing back over my comments I meant to say Souta not Setsuna, I suck at remembering non-English names.
Anonymous1205999
Meh - I really like this season but I already have my first cases of 'good-show-disappointing-ending/second half'
Anonymous1206022
KT Here:RE:Creators , we need to know more about the rules for Altair to see if that works. It might, and it might not. With what they know they have a good plan. But I was thinking why not just do a Super Smash Bros type game with the characters? I am sure that would generate enough stuff in order to lock her.
On Re:Creators, I find a better solution instead of going all cross-media like the show suggests. Someone could just make some fan-fiction on Altair that purposely show her weakness (like get busted when expose to the sun, or the magic word that render her skills useless). Less efforts, more effective
Man, I agree wholeheartedly with what KT said here: mass media actually sells, so it keeps the industry to a more stable position; then the art-house/more adult oriented anime can have some freedom to do what they like.
I think its more that I have to read it all at the same time as expecting action to come , it might change my mind if I watched it in English.
Anonymous1205580
KT here: I accept the mass media because it raises the funds for the less mainstream stuff I like. That is how I make my peace.

On RE:Creators. I get what you guys say. But for some reason I do not find the exposition heavy in this series. Every person has his own limit I guess
Alonaria
@Kaiser: Yep, that sounds about right, lol. I take my Sheldon in concentrated doses. I might give the Young Sheldon spin off an episode or two because it's highly exaggerated but still somewhat relatable to me.
I feel big bang theory is a show for people who know nothing about nerds/nerd culture to find funny.
And then theres this thing about Sheldon being some kind of autism spectrum thing , which is kind of annoying to hear when I am on the spectrum myself and never really found the character all that amusing.
Probably not the strongest reason to go off a show but, it was people around me going on and on about big bang theory that eventually put me off it.
lol is it any surprise Miura and the hunter x hunter guy take so many breaks =P
Alonaria
*Sheldon
Alonaria
I pick and choose Big Bang episodes that I enjoy. Shelden in the ball pit never ceases to amuse me. Still, it's definitely overrated haha.
IT Crowd > Modern Big Bang. Early Big Bang was good.

And yes, the work conditions in the Manga Industry are terrible. Oda, One Piece Mangaka, works stupid hours. He requests his assistances be "Willing to die for One Piece" because of the amount of work.
And hell yeah"! someone else thats hates on big bang theory.
IT crowd > big bang.
*more safer
And yet now here I am at same time, I think it might be kind of a shame that I can't see the value and fun anymore in some less safer offerings.
I thinking I might go insane if I looked up comments defending the visuals in occultic; nine.
Hate to say it but sometimes opinions, mainstream ones are actually wrong. Its a fact that superhero films have bad action scenes and cinematography and Hardboiled, a chinese action film is better filmed in terms of choreography.
As dickish as this is to say, I really do recoil when ssomeone says something like the Notebook or fifty shades is the best film of all time/their favourite.
See theres also factoring in the people whos favourite film or anime of all is the most recent they finished.
I remember mentioning recently that I was re-watching the twilight zone, the response I got was "I thought that you were talking about twilight"
See thats whats so great about being able to talk about more niche stuff online, theres an easier to find common ground.
In general when it comes to mass popular opinion it's the tried and true safe stuff that ends up selling. The highest selling Mario games are the New Super Mario ones. The same generic Light novel and harems keep selling. There are plenty of examples but majority opinion tends to gravitate to the safe and familiar.
See, most (offline) people (and or teenagers)who aren't really all that interested in film or don't look into it that much will turn out for things like fifty shades, transformers or twilight, thats why those are popular. Most people aren't going to watch something made more than a few years ago or subtitled.
Oh...lol fuck thats a blunder...yes I meant Re:creators.
But by all means, people are fully entitled to like what they like. But there is a reason why so much rubbish gets popular.
@Kaiser, Re:Creators.
As someone who would actually consider themselves creative and interested in things being imaginative I really do hate the whole anti-creativity /anti-art, anti-intelligence movement and way of thinking that allows un-deservedly popular things like what Aidan mentioned to fester.
Yes Re:zero's poor pacing and leaden dialogue is becoming too dominant and there should be more action, its good Setsuna opened up, but I still don't particularly like him.
I imagine the magazines/editors probably consider themselves the writers sometimes.
Pretty sure I only read nisekoi because I was keeping up with conversations about it, then dropped it before the Chitoge doublie showed up, just stopped reading.
On the matter of Re:Creators, I feel the same as the Anon said. I find the exposition to just drone on far too much.
On the matter of the manga industry being shit...it is. Manga in general is great but Jesus Christ the industry is a mess. Work conditions are utterly abhorrent and it's even worse that most series live or die based on a magazine popularity poll.
Because just because something is popular, does not mean it is quality. Example: Transformers, Twilight, Fifty shades, Sword Art Online, Big Bang theory
@Anon, Still not getting your logic here. I mean if I have a problem with it after trying it then why am I not allowed to complain about it? Anyway it is only popular for the pandering. Even those who like Nisekoi admit that it's a mediocre harem and they mainly enjoy the waifu wars on the internet.
and now we will resort to illegal streaming sites for this one. "Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem", this f*cking true
Huh? Welcome to the Ballroom Anime Gets Amazon Prime-Only Streaming Inside and Outside Japan. Now that just unbearable
Don't know about this new Re:Creators episode since I haven't watched it, but I don't really mind Meteora. Her dialogues scream "exposition" but she still fits well to the story. The fights are good, I agree, but why didn't they go all the way with the world's collapse last episode?
Anonymous1202407
Whether Nisekoi is pandering or not, it is not enough proof for you to suggest that manga industry is shit. If u want good mainstream then its not that hard to find. Also for every success like Nisekoi which u claim to be pandering, there are dozen like it that failed to be popular. Why? Because it clearly is popular for a reason other than just simple pandering.
Ha, Ping Pong. I need that kind of show again in my life.
Also, Ping Pong is amazing.
Theres a difference between pandering to a large audience, and an anime/manga with a quality story that everyone ends up liking. Ive always found moe shows and things like Nisekoi to be the former.
Anonymous1202407
If you have a problem with it after trying it just dont read it. Its that simple. Also what a surprise that a show like nisekoi that appeals to a large demographic is popular. U want the mangaka to apologize it's not some art house story like Ping Pong?
Meteora is pretty hit or miss with her dialogue imo. Sometimes its great, othertimes its not. I can say though I enjoy most of the fights.
Anonymous1202113
I really want to like Re:Creators. To be honest though, I'm getting tired of the dialogue. It has its high points, but it sometimes just seems to drone on and on, especially with all of Meteora's "hypotheses."
KT
Both Bahamut and RE:Creators had great episodes. But I was indeed mentally screaming Super Smash Bros at RE:Creators. You will get the point when you watch the episode.
Taken on it's own, Nisekoi is harmless. But it is undeniably proof that you need not be creative or innovative to succeed in the industry. In fact declaring creative bankruptcy could turn more fruitful than genuine effort.
And I said how can you decide you don't like something if you haven't read it?
Of course you are likely mean that if you don't like something then give up on reading it further which of course does not mean that someone cannot complain about it regardless.
Anonymous1198985
No, Im said if you dont like nisekoi dont read it
@Anon, How do you know you don't like it if you don't read it?
Anonymous1196967
Don't like it don't read it.
I went and read Double Arts. This really was a great manga with tons of potentail and truly didn't deserve the axe. It's so depressing that this was cut off so soon and the author went on to make the most generic Harem ever Nisekoi, and that got over 200 chapters.
All of the important dance scenes for Yuri were fantastic, its just some minor one off characters and some reused ones that were an issue, so no they are better than the CGI
Anonymous1190387
Is it worse than those CGI dance scenes in some anime?
@Puran, It is pretty surprising how well that story turns out. I say IG might do the job even if there animation isn't the most consistent. The one thing I am worried about is those necks though. In the PV those things were ridiculously long.
Puran
Fair enough, recycling the animation was bad, agreed. But the animation itself was really good.
See, I found the repeated dances in Yuri one of the worse parts. Alot of it was recycled animation and certain characters were obviously rushed/not done. Some were amazing, cause they took their time, but others looked terrible.
Puran
I kinda wish Mappa was doing the anime though. Yuri on Ice had really nicely animated dances (and was more or less the only actually good quality of that show :P )
Puran
Reading the Ballroom e Youkoso manga has made me really excited about the Anime.
Kaiser_Eoghan
@Aidan: I'm particularly turned off by bully/bullying cliches these days. I've only read the first two volumes to see how awful she was but I ended up simply losing track of the series and stopped reading.
Kaiser_Eoghan
@Mario: Actually that has changed, I had to pick a different day to see it given changes in schedule, I've booked it for NEXT Wednesday now. I've watched Akira about four times.
Oh, Rising of the Shield Hero is getting an anime adaption. Hmmm...honestly after finishing the series and looking over it as a whole I am not sure I even want that. Plus seeing Bitch Animated...would fill me with rage.
I intend to re-watch Akira soon, probably this weekend. It has been almost 10 years since my first watch and now I don't remember much about that one. Thought it was intriguing and complex but not as acclaimed as people hyped it to be (I'll pick Ghost in the Shell anytime). Wonder how I'd feel now after re-watching it.
@Kaiser: I remember you mentioned that you were going to watch In this Corner of the World today right? How was the movie Kaiser?
Oh cool, food wars is getting a 3rd season
Ballroom youkoso appears to be leading the polls.
@Mario: Fumiko is a female mangaka yes. Also I found bokura no hentai worth reading.
yep, I finished that manga too and I have conflicted feeling about it. Yuri(!) part and fanservice are to blatant but they have a purpose. This mangaka (not sure but I think she's a girl) has some unique voice.
....well I skimmed that manga. And it was weird
By all appearances,Sakura is normal,albeit sheltered junior high school girl who enjoy talking about love and walking home from school together.However,they also happen to inhabit a strange and supernatural world populated by mysterious,gigantic beings and unusual plant and animal life.Amid their peaceful lives,Sakura becomes very interested in something only alluded to exist in old books: dicks
Here's a synopsis of other manga from the same author, I think you'll have a better idea of his theme -
Sakura no Sono
Pretty much what Masky said. I am not really praising it. Anyway I plan to read one or two more chapters to see where it's going. But if it's going in the direction I think it's going then I am dropping this one fast.
Kaiser_Eoghan
There is of course the underlying concern that it will go a very ugly route with that development or it could become edgy/horribly minipulative, but for now it is as mario said, a hook.
Well. overall I don't dislike what I read there. It has good hook and I'm intrigued to know more what the hell will happen. Good set-up for me. I'm in
@Masky: it's fine Masky, since I will chec itk out any way and see it for myself ^^
So since you guys started being interested, I checked it out and uh.. Yeah, not reading. I think ye guys misunderstood Aidans warnings since that was just fucked up and not in the interesting way.
@Aidan: Berserk will never again go more than 3-4 months without a hiatus.
Hmmm, that manga Cutie Mutie sounds good to me. I might check it out later today
@Aidan: But had you not alluded to that scene, I may have seen the cover of that manga and skipped over it.
@Aidan: I had a feeling, sort of, sad, I am intrigued to read more.
Hyping and warning are not the same thing.
Well with Aidan hyping up the horrors of cutie mutie I may as well glance at it to see what he' on about.
There are three manga with the name rec.
I am familiar with the artist for cutie mutie, she did that manga about the three kids dealing with gender/orientation issues.
Oh look Berserk is on Haitus again....
.....the sad thing is that it comes as expected now.
For reference the two I read were Cutie Mutie and Rec. Be warned, the first one goes to a rather uncomfortable level.
@Masky, Read two manga. One started lighthearted and then went to really dark territory. The other one looks like it's about a really dark subject but turned out to be something more lighthearted.
@Mario, Alright. Tested it now so it such be fixed. Try again.
@Aidan: Huh? What you read that turned dark/didn't turn dark? .-.
"too many answers selected for question 1! only 3 answers allowed!"
@Aidan: I still have the same issues. Weird
@Mario, Wasn't my intent. Try it now and you should be able to pick as many as you want.
@Aidan: I'm not allowed to vote more than 3 votes. Is it your intention Aidan?
Well that was weird. I read something that looked innocent but turned out to be really dark. Then something that looked really dark only to become innocent.
Yeah, nothing that interests me I see :D Like my strongest reaction to season preview was "Someone made isekai with smartphone? Really? REALLY? Thats best idea you had"
Ah Knighs and Magic, found that manga. It was boring enough for me to forget its name. Also besides being boring, I kinda find MC unlikeable since their only personality is that they like mechas and were a programmer before renicarnating as short bishie kid
Woo, time to vote stuff
@Kaiser: that movie In this Corner just getting more and more acclaimed huh? Thou I think it'a a type of movie that if you have high expectation for it you will likely be disappointed. It works best as a sleeper hit
As for cute monster girls, most of the time I don't find them cute at all. I know I'm being racist, but...
@Lenlo: I'm guilty with that cute girls genre, as i enjoyed K-On tremedously for example. Or If I have more time I'd follow Hinako Note this season ^^
They don't always adapt all that well or work as well outside of manga format, especially 4-komas.
*three
The only two of any interest were hidamari sketch, azumanga daioh and yuru yuri and that was largely down to being in the mood for them a few years ago.
@Mario: Personally, I have 0 interest in this Monster girls doing cute things subgenre, just like I have very little interest in the cute girls doing cute things major genre.
@Mario: As it turns out I DID read in this corner of the world. I'll also be seeing it next thursday.
@Kaiser: at this moment I'm very skeptical with the whole Monster girls doing cute girl subgenre, so I'm approachig Centaur with a caution. Of course, it all depends on how I feel after the first episode
@Kaiser: Happy End isn't as bleak aa his other works. But it's certainly Hanake's films, as it explores many of his favorite themes: the voyeurist of camera in his Benny's video, the detachment to the world and the underlying violence. Not his best thou but it's still very good
I think I'd be up for watching jigoku shojo, its been a long time since I watched the original two seasons and this one won't be as long, so it won't get as repetitive.
I voted centaur no nanami on the poll, think Mario could cover it.
@Mario: How did did you get on with Happy end? I heard its like a mix of his best works. Is it as dark and depressing?
I have vague memories of in the corner of the worlds manga, unless I'm mixing it up with something else.
Some news, Lu Over the Wall won the best prize at this year's Annecy (the 1st anime won the award since 1995's Pom Poko), with In the Corner of the World took the Jury Prize. Quite a good showing for anime this year.
@Anon, Hello.
Really, still no vote for Kakegurui?? I thought it would take the top poll for sure
That 18if, even the poster doesn't make much sense, but it looks dazzling ^^
go-go licensed products!
@Lenlo: and Madhouse is the studio behind that Marvel rip-off. Are they really going that low for profits?
Lookin forward to Kakeguri next season, but thats the only thing thats really caught my eye
Well, you have to watch Marvel next season right?
And done. I swear these previews take a lot out of me.
Almost done....almost done...
KT
Attack of Titan, ended ok. But man the production values had gone down.

Virgin Soul had a okish episde

Re:Creators continues to rock for me.
@Mario: I liked the 70s version ending, it was mean spirited =P

Uchoten Kazoku 2 – 12 [The Red String of Fate]

Oh god, this climax. Other shows, take note. This is how you SHOUD NOT do on your final battle. How this show can jump from Yasaburou, Yaichirou fighting the Fellow Friday for their lives last week, to the conflict of Soun and Tenyama (that they eventually ended up in Hell again), to end with Benten […]

Tsuki ga Kirei – 11 [An Encouragement of Learning]

Tsuki ga Kirei again manages something I thought was difficult to achieve: it surpasses itself once more time. I was afraid that after the Kawagoe festival, there isn’t much left drama for the lovebirds now that Takumi and Chinatsu are all out of the picture; turn out that not only this episode enhances their relationship […]

ID-0 – 11 [Innocent Orbit]

I must say, despite my current worry from the direction ID-0 is heading towards the climax, we have another solid episode in our hands. Here’s one of the thing ID-0 continues to prove itself to be quite adept of: their pacing never drags. All the events progress gradually, and there aren’t many unnecessary scenes, if […]

Sakura Quest – 12 [The Dawn Guild]

Sakura Quest offers a pretty much Sakura Quest-esque this week, and I come to believe that this is a strong mini-arc to close-up the first half of its run. For the Tourism Board, the Manoyama Founding Festival will become their most ambitious project in term of scope they have encountered so far. Moreover, documenting the […]

Seikaisuru Kado – 10[Towanosakiwa]

So despite my aggravation with how the last episode ended, this episode starts of strong with how the universe was created and the anisotropic beings watching over it. The whole sequence was great and beautifully alien. That half of the episode explaining how Saraka ended up on end was actually very strong and despite the […]

Uchoten Kazoku 2 – 11 [The Blood of the Tengu, the Blood of the Fool]

The Eccentric Family again takes some solid steps to its final showdown. But let me address this first because I’m sure no one really see it coming. Soun comes back to life. A fake-out death? Seriously? Using fake-out death ALWAYS comes with a price, which is all the emotional investment we had for the death […]

Re:Creators – 11 [The Monster Under the Eaves]

Not surprising that this was a more subdued episode since the events of last week landed two and a half creations in the hospital. Given their bed-ridden state, Re:Creators takes it time in developing some new deep and profound ideas about creating works and resolves the quagmire that Sōta finds himself in the last few […]

Little Witch Academia – 24[The Road to Arcturus]

Hmmm….mixed feelings. There are parts I like about this episode but then there is this underwhelming feeling over how things have turned out. In general I like that the epicly named world reconstruction magic turned out to be just a stick that performs party tricks. Thinking about it it’s likely the decline of magic is […]

Shingeki no Kyojin(Attack on Titan) – 37[Scream]

I was all geared up to write up a post that this season of attack on Titan was mere lip service for a third season that may never come when I seen that there is indeed a third season of Attack on Titan on the way next year. So I could voice those same complaints […]

Window Horses (2016) Movie Review – 87/100

Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon (Winter 2017) Review – 74/100

Scum’s Wish (Winter 2017) Review – 80/100

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Review – 90/100

When you have watched a large amount of anime you can come to assume that you have learned a lot about Japanese culture. Though I think it’s testament to how limited it is to view Japan through anime when you come to realize that despite watching so much, you have never heard of Rakugo. Rakugo […]

Youjo Senki Saga of Tanya the Evil Review – 80/100

Isekai stories have become somewhat of a tiresome genre as of late. There have been many stories of people being transported/reincarnated into other worlds where they shed their once pitiful exterior and become some legendary figure in another world. In most cases it’s trit, balant childish wish fulfilment and the stories often become tiresome when […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. (Winter 2017) Review – 83/100

Imagine my utmost amazement when a show that I wasn’t that confident on taking in the beginning turned out to be one of the most solid offering this season had to offer. ACCA is the most recent anime adaptation from mangaka Natsume Omo, which despite isn’t a household name, many of her works (6 titles […]

Demi-chan wa Kataritai (Winter 2017) Review – 62/100

Demi-chan is one of the newest addition to the monster girl subgenre, which usually feature a human helpless male lead get stuck in a harem of mythical creatures, in form of oversized boob girls of course (why usually those monsters are in female forms anyways? Aren’t they sexless?). In this case, we have monster girls […]

Seiren (Winter 2017) Review – 51/100

Let me say this out front, Seiren is NOT a good show, it’s a highly uneven one. Throughout its run, I can see some solid moments and fresh ideas that could potentially raise it above the bar, but ultimately, view it as a whole, Seiren is a show that isn’t worth recommending. At first, I’m […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100