Posted by psgels on 23 August 2010 with categories: Random Posts

Every year, about a month before the fall season, I hold this poll in which you can force me to blog one of the upcoming autumn seasons. In this contest, you can either force me to blog an awesome-looking series, or a series that I normally would never consider covering. I’m a bit earlier than usual this year (blame impatience).

Either way, during the previous years I asked you to simply drop a comment with the series you voted for. Unfortunately, because last time people cheated I had to find a different way to do it. I didn’t want to post a simple poll (I really want this contest to be between my readers, instead of people who visit random sites and click on random polls), so I settled with an online survey, which can be found here:

Here are some concrete rules:
– To make a valid vote, visit the above link and leave the titles of your selection. You can select up to two series from the upcoming Autumn season.
– The anime with the most amount of votes in the end will be blogged for at least 12 or 13 episodes.
Here and here are lists with the shows that are scheduled to air.
– This year I also decided to drop the “No direct sequels”-rule, so you can also nominate series as Index II and Sora no Otoshimono II.
– I haven’t tested this out yet, but at the online survey you should be able to modify your answer after having voted.
– I accept any series with an airdate between September 20th and November 11th.
– The poll will end at September 30, 23:59 GMT. All votes that arrive after that will be ignored.

You can find the results here:

Counted together, it makes for this list:
Bakuman : 83
Motto To Love Ru: 2
Super Robot Wars OG: The Inspector: 2
Tantei Opera Milky Holmes: 2
Fortune Arterial: 1
Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls: 1
Pokemon Best Wishes: 1

nb: the series in italics are invalid (why Kannagi?)

1. Msteak says:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes

2. Anon says:

Watch Super Robot Wars and maybe you’ll grow some balls.

3. Fai D Fluorite says:

Bakuman and Psychic Detective Yakumo!!
    Even heard a lot about the World God only Kmows :)

4. CherylHew says:

…I’m tempted to make you suffer this season LOL!

Kami Nomi zo Shiru Sekai and… and… *thinking of an obviously horrendous moe series*.. ah, I’ll settle for Sora no Otoshimono =D I await the results OHOHOHO!

5. CherylHew says:

..Dang, my plan seems to be failing =(

6. Suzuku says:

Toaru Majutsu no Index II and Bakuman

Wouldn’t mind Star Driver either :]

7. Tan-Tan says:

I hope you’re surely going to blog Letter Bee, because I didn’t vote for it.

8. Solaris says:

>This year I also decided to drop the “No direct sequels”-rule, so you can also nominate series as Index II and Sora no Otoshimono II
    BWAHAHAH You shouldn’t have done this. Now i’ll force you to blog… guess it :P

9. Solaris says:

Anyway, is it me or that survey page is horrible? >.

10. senerikfred says:

Can you link to the results page so we can watch the votes?

11. Taxy says:

Bakuman and Psychic Detective Yakumo.

Even if I think you would blog them without anyone asking for. :)

12. Acylia says:

Bakuman! All the way. ;)

13. mds says:

let’s make psgels blog series that he wouldn’t blog from its first impressions (yes,it’s The World God Only Knows /Kami Nomi zo Shiru Sekai)

14. AidanAK47 says:

I vote for The World God Only Knows(Kami Nomi zo Shiru Sekai)

15. Sapphire says:

I haven’t voted for Star Driver because I strongly believe psgels will blog it voluntarily ^^

GO Kuragehime!

16. BlandUserGsEf says:

Um, Psychic Detective Yakumo.

17. Kalandra says:

Psgels is likely to blog the Psychic Detective Yakumo anyway, unless it was badly made. Bakuman & The World Only God Knows on the other hand, is got ratedly lowly, though that might change once he saw the actual anime. Then again I don’t wanna risk it. So my vote goes to those two.

18. Loz says:

Im loling at whoever put giant killing.

19. Kalandra says:

Ok, cancel that opinion about him rating Bakuman low.

20. AuroraFlame says:

-_- People voting for Bakuman, Kami Nomi, and Yakumo when he’s already shown interest in them? I was going to troll with To Love-Ru but it might’ve ended up harder on me than you.

PSGELS, watch Honey & Clover already! Don’t get disappointed by saving it for last and hyping it up too much.

21. darkerthanblackswordsman says:

Since I am all but certain that you will blog Psychic Detective Yakumo, Bakuman and Tegami Bachi regardless, I would vote for Iron Man and Rita et Machin. However, neither has a chance of winning, so I’ll just pass…

22. Solaris says:

Hey let’s just resume the “Force Psgels to review Railgun (or similar stuff)”!! Vote 4 Index II. Index 4 PRESIDEEENT!! :P

23. Fireflyfu says:

aww come on guys, he would have blogged psychic detective and bakuman anyway, tactical voting guys, tactical voting. shiru sekai, star driver and kuragehime have manglobe, bones and brainbase behind them so even if they sound daft there’s a good chance they’ll turn out good and be blogged. togainu looks gay i’ll pass. index II bored by exposition i want to be not. ore no imouto – vaat? aic comes up with an imouto story yet another waste of their ridiculuously amazing budget. why does aic have money but giant killing guys don’t urgh.

amongst the second tier anime otome youkai zakuro sounds like it has potential but will probably bot be blogged, so i’d pick that. either that or we troll the poll with toloveru that’ll be fun.

24. mds says:

Meh…people (fangirls?) keep voting for Yakumo,even it is 80-90% will be blogged = =

25. Meep says:

Tegami Bachi Reverse

26. Anca says:

Voted for Togainu. Hey, psgels liked Uragiri and had a fairly positive rating of junjou Romantica, so IF it has gay themes, he won’t mind as long as the plot and the characters are ok :D

And for Ironman because it lacks votes,

27. Ransom says:

Kami Nomi zo Shiru Sekai and Bakuman…

Love both mangas. If I can make only a choice, then I go for Kaminomi :)

28. Fireflyfu says:

imma saving my vote for 30 Sept when people facepalm realising bakuman is going to be blogged anyway i’ll come in and save the day by voting the second on the list which will also be probably blogged anyway. to really put meaning to the ‘force me to blog’ phrase psgels should invert the list and then pick the first one…Fortune Arterial. eww.

29. totoum says:

i’m with Fireflyfu , the 2 animes that are ahead will be blogged anyway,I mean Psychic Detective Yakumo is done by BEE TRAIN,just as a quick reminder:
    psgels when the last bee trin anime came out : “Chance of me Blogging: 100% (BEE-TRAIN ROCKS)”
    or reviewing the before last anime bee train made : “This may be one of my more biased reviews, simply because I’m such a large Bee-Train fan.”

I’m not criticizing psgels,not at all.I’m just saying psgels doesn’t need a bee train anime to come ahead in a poll to blog it.

So my intent was on following solaris’ call,make him blog something he would never blog,except we need to get more organised,he voted index II and I voted sora no otoshimono II lol

30. Solaris says:

Nuu Totoum you’re EBIL: Sora no Otoshimono is actual torture! Al Quaeda is brainwashing their kamikaze bombers by forced view of Sora no Otoshimono (and kanokon)!!! Do you hate Psgels that much??? :P

31. saffron says:

Kuragehime, or Goulart Knights would be entertaining :D (Only count my 2nd as a vote if it actually counts for an option, otherwise, Kuragehime)

32. Denizen says:

Bakuman is popular. Seeing as how you haven’t read the manga, however, it should be interesting to hear your thoughts. You may want to wise up on Shounen Jump series, and how the magazine works, to understand some of it.

I personally voted Kuragehime and Star Driver, since they’re lower down than i’d hoped. Seeing Ironman reviewed would be nice too, I expect it could be much like Ultraviolet.

33. sheratan says:

It seems that some anime are missing in the list above namely Baccano 2, Claymore and Birdy the Mighty.

Don’t know whether it is true but I will be very happy if there is some sort of “reboot” for the Claymore anime. They kinda mess up the first adaptation.

34. psgels psgels says:

Sheratan: that list is obviously fake. ;)

35. inkka says:

Whoa~ This season has many good anime to blog.For me I think the series that style surely suit you the most will be Yakumo, Bakuman and Kuragehime.
    One of those series that I interested the most is Bakuman.I read manga to the latest chapter and found it’s really good.But I want to know your opinion too.How the lot of text in the manga will be adapted.Interesting!

ฺีBut Otome Youkai Zakuro need some love! See the vote make me…a bit sad.I found it has some of interesting setting at least.Want you to give it a chance as well!.

36. senerikfred says:

Of all places for an original story about a professional, working adult woman to come from. Starts October 3rd, too.

37. psgels psgels says:

She’s an adult now? That’s just… random but completely intriguing…

38. tomtom says:

Voted iron man and star driver purely based on premise.. they aren’t doing too well though :(

39. Snowolf says:

Though Bakuman is a wonderful manga, everybody’s going to blog that, so I thought I’d recommend something off the major hit list. How about doing Psychic Detective Yakumo (which I now see IS a major hit) and Letter Bee: Reverse (I know you want to :D)

40. DestinyAlx says:

well, I don’t use to make comments unless I have something to say but I selected Bakuman and The World God Only Knows.

41. omo says:

can’t modify my answer…put in 3 by mistake ooops.

Don’t think any of them will win so no big deal.

42. psgels psgels says:

Hmm, so much for false advertisement. Next year I’ll try something different.

43. Solaris says:

Ok so, Bakuman? You were lucky this year too, but i’ll definitely force you blogging something wierd sooner or later!! I’m not an ENTJ Evil Overlord for sport!!! :P

I've no interest in Irelands drinking culture /festival days much.
Its really just a day off or an excuse for 13 year olds to get drunk.
He was Welsh aswell and there weren't exactly that much snakes in Ireland to begin with.
@Mario: Its technically St Patricks day now yes. Not that I personally care for it, I got going to the parade out of my system over a decade ago, never liked the oirishness and cliches/commercialisim around it, in the end it just makes it impossible to get around the city, plus the weather is so poor its pointless going out anyway.
I saw some Irish flags around my area. Is it St Patrick day today?
I did listen to some of aico's dub, I don't think any of these people are experienced or professional voice actors.
Anon: B the beginning was too much of an awkward genre mix. I was content to just ignore aico because I'm not a fan of Bones as a studio but you're the second person to say it reminds them of some old ova.
@Anon: I enjoyed the combination of old and new with devilman, it even being able to eclipse the ovas, aswell as the experimental visual style and transgression, and as you said, the surprising emotional involvement.
So i finish, B the Beginning, Aico, Devilman( What a feel's ride). and I must say that they're far from perfect, but they remaind me of 90, early 2000 anime, that i loved so much and that is a big plus. Today's anime doesnt feel quite the same in my opinion, what are your thoughts.. Now im getting excited to watch SWORD GAI!.
While obvious an anime series, After the rain often feels like a live action film.
@Mario: Actually that does remind me, I never saw Pola X by Carax.
Miike is extremely hit or miss, but I loved how Audition minipulated the viewer with its slower first half before really taking off, most of Ichi the killer is just a perversely funny black comedy to me.
Chang-dong-Lee is refreshingly less melodramatic then other Korean directors.
Benh Zeitlin is one I'm not familiar with, but it turns out he did beasts of southern wild and I enjoy magical realism.
@Mario: I wasn't aware Carax was still alive, some sgements of holy motors work, others don't , lovers on the bridge was a more accessible film I recall.
@Fluca: okay. Kinda fixed it. I don't think we have a spoiler code so I just changed your spoiler into white color
@Kaiser: I'm checking movies from indie auteur directors that could come out this year, interested Benh Zeitlin's second movie, Lee Chang Dong's and Leos Carax's one
Would love to see Our Little Sister in anime form, actually
Although Miike directs like at least 40 feature films, I only remember his Audition and Ichi the Killer the most, both of which I have extremely mixed feeling about
Every time I here the title Aico, it makes me think its some kind of eco/environmental thing, which I know it isn't.
The fate/extra Alice character (I looked her up) looks like she belongs in rozen maiden.
The modern Japanese directors can be prolific Miike and Sono pump out more than one film a year.
And it shows, that Our little sister adaptation, that live action adaptations CAN sometimes work.
Quick fact, that action crime josei anime, Bananna fish, coming out in April is based on a manga by the writer of Our little sister's manga.
@Mario: The interest being, how he would handle something so removed from his usual style.
@Mario: Actually re-checking, its next week, The third murder , which seems very different, a courtroom drama with some philosophy in it.
I really enjoy Our Little Sister, but I think mainly because the film is entirely within my comfort zone (Slice of life manga material, about the life of these girls)
@Kaiser: Which one will you see? He now directs one movie per year so it's hard to keep track some times. I really like his style and I reckon people who like slice-of-life will enjoy his movies
@Mario: Hirokazu Koreeda has a new film out, seeing it on Friday, I've only seen Our little sister by him.
@Anon: I essentially deleted the rest of the episodes off my computer after struggling through the first, like most, maybe moreso I got very turned off by the genre mixing. Thats not to say that I'm against genre mixes though, but they have to be weird, I mean really weird.
I am not a fan of breather episodes, something most modern anime are pretty keen to insert. I hate breaking of climaxes in order to show three SoL-, fanservice- or formularic monster of the week episodes before the main plot progresses further. When I want SoL I go watch a full fleshed SoL. Aico is pretty straight forward and kinda easy to watch in one go in that regard. Nothing really new though.
Just finished Aico. Had a few downsides like most series but I enjoyed it. Felt like a classic scifi anime you'd see in the 90s.
@Anon, I watched it. Though it was mixed but a decent enough watch. It really felt like two shows hastily combined into one. Been thinking of writing a review for it and Aico once I finish Aico.
*Have you watch
Have toy watch, B The Beginning?
I would call it somewhat lightweight however, but I won't complain/level too much against it, as it is afterall, a family film.
*in my memory
Nice animation showcase aswell though I don't know how long this will really stay i my memory, though it was nice.
Although it relies on being fairly convenient, linear and simplistic, that Mary witch flower anime movie is at its strongest when visually drawing the viewer into its world and wherever it shows spectacle. I'd say its adequately charming. Fair enough.
Hakata sounds like Gangasta. A series I enjoyed, despite its massive flaws
thanks guys. I will probably give it a try. I am also watching the Castlevania anime finally. Not really worth it for me. Also I watched the first episode of Garo Vanishing Line. I can a say it was fun.
Hi guys, anyone here played Sea Bed VN? Just wondering...
@Anon1880687 - I watched a couple of episodes. Feels like a foreign series. Since it doesn't feel like an anime made in Japan. I did like the group of revengers seem to have more personality than the main leads which insinuate chemistry but doesn't go deep into it. I don't remember if they explain why one of the leads chooses to dress like a girl. Though at least they give him/her a male voice.
@KTravlos: me. Not impressed. First few eps were alright with a set of bold characters, but later the lot just goes around in circle for these characters acting cool and cool rules the day. I dropped it after episode 6
KT here. Has anybody watched Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens? Impressions?
@Vonter: It gets more serious later although I agree it's better starting this without any knowledge about the series, like I did. I just loved the tragicomical jokes and the obsessive nostalgia Bojack suffered from and neither needed nor expected any drama but it was pretty good when it happened nonetheless.
@Anon, Not really. They just wanted to find some justification for the trashy aspects for a show they liked rather than accept it.
And while I understand how obnoxious it can be, there are times when people complain about a show doesn't explain itself and then get pissed off when you try to give an explanation.
ProZD nails it on the head yet again The people who continue to make excuses for kill la kill's fan service are the same ones fapping to episodes of the show to this day
@Vonter: From what I hear, while it does have comedy, by the second season not only does it improve, but its more of a drama.
I've been watching Bojack Horseman. It's good, yet watching certain clips before the actual series made me expect a darker show. I know it's a cartoon, but some jokes reduced the impact of certain events. Though I suppose it's meant to be uplifting and not just mean spirited. It gave me some Nier and Aku no Hana vibes.
We watched the first three episodes of B the Beginning. I must say I enjoyed it. We will see how the rest goes.
*whole franchise bar Macross delta
Despite loving the mans work since I got started on anime when I was younger, I still haven't seen Kawamori's most recent Macross series despite seeing the whole franchise.
I think devilman set me up for the idea that netflix would be putting out more transgressive anime.
If i were to rank the three netflix original shows that have released so far in descending order, it would be devilman crybaby, AICO, and then B: the beginning
so i just finished binge watching AICO...give it a watch if you guys have time, it's pretty good
@Mario: A good dose of reality in that episode though.
@Mario: Well I guess I called it completely wrong on who Chihiro was lol
@Amagi: Steins gate spent far too much time on a jokey first half.
Not that I'm trashing polemical writing, I find stuff by Jean-Luc-Godard fucking funny.
Doing a giant mood piece isn't pretentious, because it probably doesn't have a concrete meaning any way.
While still keeping it with enough sophistication .
For example, doing a rant of a film will only communicate to your intellectual friends and people already in the know, the working class guy you want to inform with your societal/political/religious ideas , was probably watching a western back in the 60s/70s, just incorporate the themes into that while not sacrificing the films appeal
With regards to pretension, I think that comes into play when you have a director trying to communicate ideas but ends up becoming ridiculously, overly polemical, its better to communicate thought provoking ideas through something straight, while also remaining some distance.
I think it often happens when authors create things on the fly, at least with manga. You can see terrible forms of comedy/SoL -> drama/scifi switches among webcomics, which are usually done by "amateurs", some of them being pretty young. It's always good when a series hints or blatantly shows what it is during its first episodes/chapters. Not talking about mysteries but genres.
Usually for dramatic comedy to work I feel it needs to let the viewer know early on that the story will feature both....the sudden drama thing generally is a result where a funny film needs an ending and a story needs to be fabricated hastily.
Melodrama is like genre mixes. If it does work it can be something special, but it's really hard to write and most directors just lack the talent to do so. It's like a comedy that turns serious at some point. It CAN work, but there aren't many cases where that happens. Usually they're just alienating their comedy fans and the drama fans weren't there to begin with.
Same here
I think some really old Euro movies, latin ones especially get away with melodrama well because the acting was different and more theatrical .
If the mekodramatics can properly cast a spell on a viewer, I am open to it if the writers strong enough but in general, when I'm watching something, the best stories are the ones where the atmosphere is so assure I forget I'm watching fiction.
I know they just want to make their audience feel good but I think it's a terrible moral or idea. Especially since most people know at least one person they loved that died from such illnesses. No matter what they did or tried to do to overcome it.
Yeah exactly. Honestly most cancer movies are terrible I think. I also hate these series in which the main character, I don't know, wins a match for his cancer-ridden love and then s/he recovers.
@Amagi: Too silly for me, the psycho faces.
@Kaiser: Not using music can be a great method to illustrate serious moments I think.
I've spoken to my father about this, who recovered from cancer years ago, those kind of phrases irritate him, hr said " don't battle, fight cancer, you fucking suffer through it, then if your lucky you get through it"
I mean, again, I loved Madoka but I see how this method they used is kinda cheap. It's still better than many other series of that type. I am aready looking forward to see how terrible Magical Girl Site is, the trailer looks like a psycho face trash fest.
The really annoying thing is when some of these docs and dramas use phrases like "her battle, her FIGHT, her BRAVE fight against cancer.
I enjoyed Madoka but I know what you mean. I think I will never rewatch Madoka but I love to see certain Tutu- and Sailor Moon scenes from time to time. I think Madoka is kinda similar to netflix shows or code geass in that regard. It always ends with some evil cliffhanger to hype you up for the next episode and it throws in one shocking revelation after another for the same reason.
@Amagi: On the music thing, some documentaries do this. What I loved about Shoah and night and fog is that the directors showed the landscapes/buildings where it happened and never used music.
I mean I know how bad ww2 and other things were. I really don't need rain, sad music and lots of actor tears to realize that. It reminds me of the laughing tracks sitcoms have that tell you when you have to laugh. And newer movies have exaggerated effects as well, not a fan of that. I rather see well thought-out content than a bomb-show. Not to mention that I hate sensory overload.
Its also kind of why I can NEVER look at hentai of something I enjoyed when I was young.
Which I admit is bias and a crap opinion lol
I grew up with Cardcaptor Sakura and Sailormoon and looking into lighthearted mahou shoujo , I don't mind nanoha and tutu, but there was always the feeling madoka was corrupting something.
On dark moe, I've stopped with lol edgy when criticizing Madoka, I realize that its the equivalent to Batman porn to me, the idea of that level of a slant on a genre I went for when I was a kid.
I agree. I was interested in Schindler's List when I was ~12 or so because it was something new for me. Nowadays I realize it's not really my thing, there are many western war shows that come of as too "pathetic" to me, they feel too much like, well, Hollywood blockbusters (which is what they actually are) than a serious commetary on war or so.
@Amagi: Thats the trouble I have with Hollywood , a film about Autism like Rain man or a mental illness movie like I am Sam, these American movies never seem real and the depictions feel so hammy and inaccurate.
On the dark moe trope, rather than throwing out words on it, its the tonal inconsistency that gets to me.
Yeah the opposite is bad as well. A show can have good intentions, even lots of good ideas but still have a bad execution.
Schindler's list is a great example of this, personally I think popcorn drama/oscar baiting the holocaust is somewhat distasteful and the film comes off as comparitively ingenuinely when I've seen a couple of eastern war films by people who actually lived during the war.
And "egdy" is very much about the tone a series has and not so much the actual content. Therefore it has to be explained as well, a dark series, even one with lots of blood, isn't necessarily edgy, it depends on the stance the autor has, whom we're supposed to root for and why, how characters and scenes are depicted and the overall tone, moral and so on.
On another note, to go back to "critic proof", this is a terrible practice because it allows people to take an easy topic for a story and it become forbidden to give a bad review.
Yeah, "badly written" for example doesn't mean anything unless you're gonna illustrate how it is badly written by showing and analyzing examples from the show and explain why the writing for these scenes is weak
Thats why I like here, people actually talk about a show in some detail, even the reviewers.
An non-backed up opinion when I'm looking for a show to follow doesn't tell me anything, how am I meant to know to watch something based on a single word or sentence?
I suppose its less of a case of buzzwords and more how people don't explain anything . The reason I say I have to do a 300 word review or long opinion on something is because I feel buzzwords and one word/one sentence opinions are un-helpful.
@Amagi: And I think thats certainly an issue, the lines being bkurred between shitposting/trolling and genuine critique .
I mean there are a lot of badly written shows out there or shows that are too tryhard, but people often use these phrases as buzzwords for everything and don't state reasons for using these terms for a specific show. I see tons of "egdy" posts as soon as a series is a bit darker than the usual harem and it's hard to distinguish these pieces from actual shitposts or trolls.
It sounds better to say that I don't like something because it's too egdy, too stupid and pure pandering (when it's about moe) or "badly written" than saying that I can't relate to certain settings, characters and so one or that I've seen a certain idea too often.
@Kaiser: I think many people just don't want to admit that disliking a series is usually a subjective thing. They rather want to credit their own intelligence for not liking it.
New Boogiepop anime announced for 2018 o/
Alita, eden endless world , ghost in the shell, Lain , blame, biomega , the Japanese perfected a genre America started.
@Vonter: Well deserved oscar for the visuals definately, Deakins got his overdue reward.
Tetsuo , bubblegum crisis, cyber city oedo are other good ones as was goku midnight eye.
@Vonter: It was the rebellion bit that got me worried if they were planning some sort of follow up.
I, robot eh? I remember that one, I don't mind Will Smith but he's not convincing in a serious role.
The replicants preparing for war, took me out of the movie, since it was delivered like a footnote for your action blockbuster, kinda like how they ripped apart I, Robot.
Still I got reminded why it inspired manga and anime like Akira, Cowboy Bebop and many others. There's a lot of atmosphere, and like I said, the visual storytelling is very strong. Since there were a lot of double meanings to several shots early in in the film. The egomaniac Jesus wannabe villain felt very odd, especially his speechifying.
But I'll have to see it again with that extended cut when I'm less the victim of hype.
Theres a certain idea of....they made an OKAY blade runner sequel, it wasn't allowed to be bad or great.
@Vonter: Its a case really of, you had a four star film! Then turned it into a three star!
Then again I am interested when Denis will be going back to his arthouse films instead.
I hope they aren't going for a sequel though.
It does add to the humanity of the replicants but I felt the ending cruel on Goslings character.
Jowie was a bit fanservicey.
And it was kinetic aswell.
What I'm hoping for is that in the extended cut it'll iron and smooth out the film and improve it.
@Vonter: The last act I thought was overstuffed .
@Vonter: But I felt the villain undercooked and its impossible to match up to Roy Batty from the first one.
@Vonter: I felt it was some of Rodger Deakins stronger work on the visual front and Ryan Goslings acting style suited playing a replicant, it invokes the atmosphere better than the first and I loved the idea of the replicants being able to give birth.
I watched Bladerunner 2049 yesterday. I liked 3/4 of it. I don't get why the last fourth was added, it really felt like they put another half hour to make the movie longer. I mean the first half is full of quiet and visual storytelling and the last part adds a lot of things that aren't even solved. I did like the production design stuck to the original.
@Aidan: When I'm review a film, as a general rule, if I can't get 200-300 words at least, there just doesn't seem any point in writing it.
Oh indeed they can, but I feel they can come off as lazy go to words.
But I do understand the frustration with lazy criticism.
Admittedly we all, myself included do fall back on lazy buzzwords but
Edgy and too melodramatic can be legitimate criticisms. Though both are ways of saying trying too hard
And its just plain lazy opinion giving/feedback usually.
Things end up becoming critic proof because of this.
I just hate how when it comes to complaining about pandering and tokenism or a bad film about something important falls into some idiot retorting with ad homminem shouting "U don liek dis coz u racist"
Or people who don't understand that something doesn't have to have answers, coherency or a traditional narrative.
You have eyes and its a visual medium, use them.
complaining about there not being enough exposition is also a worthless criticism.
And "edgy" or "too melodramatic".
One sentence/one-word criticism such as "too long ", "slow and boring" , "Too old" , "Its in black and white", "pretentious", "masterpiece", "Too thematic over character/story", "last film I saw is the best film ever", "It has subtitles" and of course saying something is racist or misogynistic to the point where those words don't mean what they mean anymore.
I know this is complaining for the sake of it, but I find myself tired of seeing buzz-phrases for criticism.
I kind of don't care to even really watch either show, its a case of couldn't be bother based on a glance, neither jump out at me and I was never really hyped for either nor heard/followed much discussion on them.
Bloody hell I haven't even finished watching B yet and Netflix has out another anime. Have not heard much on this one besides the advice to avoid the dub like the plague. Seems like a really bad dub.
Thankfully didn't miss any important scenes .
Y'know, its nice to know there are decent skins/people out there, was catching We were never really there at the arthouse cinema but ended up getting ill, staff noticed and brought me out for a free drink and we talked about the movie so far while I got better over a few minutes.
Watched it and B: The Beginning. Found both of them pretty nice. Like not great, but good or okay
AICO is released on netflix now too
At least officially they said before they don't plan stop supporting 3DS. Lot of people are speculating that they are gonna do that since Switch is pretty much a handheld, but who knows, maybe they actually plan considering Switch homeconsole and have handheld alongside it? If nothing else, I guess Switch can't do the two screens thing.
AidanAK47 - They'll put games on the 3DS until Switch catches up to it. I think.
@Anon, and the highlight of the event. What looks to be a brand new smash bros.
Ports are good for the Switch but I don't really see the reasoning behind porting Luigi's mansion to the 3DS. Honestly I don't really get why they are still putting out games for it.
It's the most surprising how few GC games are rereleased. I mean apart from the Zeldas and now Luigi's Mansion.
So hey. There was a Nintendo Direct. Tons of ports for both 3DS and Switch. I suppose if one missed something it might be a good thing to try to get it now.
I wish there was an edit button.

A Place Further than the Universe – 11 [Bash That Drum Can!]

Another episode of Universe that delves into friendship issues. While I can see many hiccups along the way, I can still say the ride is worth it. Not that I think this episode stands out, rather that I don’t know exactly how I feel about this episode’s resolution. This episode features my favorite girl, a […]

Fate/Extra Last Encore – 07[A Story for Someone’s Sake ― Nursery・Rhyme ―]

Thus ends the Nursery Rhyme two episode arc and that certainly was more confusing than it needed to be. The fight was once again, anticlimactic and rather lacking strategy wish as well. I mean our protagonists kept talking like they had a plan but it pretty much amounted to just climbing the tower and fighting […]

Darling in the Franxx – 09[Triangle Bomb]

Today on Darling in the Franxx, death flags averted. I admit that throughout this episode I fully prepared myself to see Goro die. The signs were everywhere with him confirming to Hiro that he was in love with Ichigo, the mission leaving him stranded with a trolosuar, the hair clip as well as the base […]

Junji Ito Collection – 10[Greased/Bridge]

Ugh, I was lucky I ate before that first story started. Not so much scary but very disgusting with the oily dirty house and that brother with the pimples…ugh. This story is more gross out factor than actual horror as there isn’t really a plot besides this girl living with her horrible family in a […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 22 [As you sow, so shall you reap]

These past few episodes I have been rather critical of Mahoutsukai, and rightfully so I would say. The new characters are lackluster, the plot/stories dull. A 7/10 series at best. It is with this mindset, this frame of reference, that I can see “As you sow, so shall you reap” is the best episode of […]

Violet Evergarden – 08/09 [Violet Evergarden]

If I haven’t known beforehand that Violet Evergarden has 14 episodes, I would easily assume that this is the conclusion of Violet Evergarden. And in some ways, there is a strong sense of closure in this latest episode. This last two episodes have their full attention to the core development of Violet, that includes an […]

After the Rain – 08/09 [Quiet Rain/ Rain of Sorrow]

We take a side road from our main romance between Tachibana and Kondou in this last two episodes, instead focus on each own friendship, short story Rashomon and pimple. Not that I consider Ameagari anything less than stellar, the show moves with confident pace with so much lovely subtle details. After the unforgettable event where […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 37/38 [White Storm/Restart]

If you had to take a wild guess at the atmosphere of these two episodes based on the above screencaps, you’d probably settle on, “Somber, with some levity near the end,” and you’d be exactly right. Given the typhoon that dominated this doubleheader, and the snowy theme associated with Meijin Souya’s character, it fell to […]

A Place Further than the Universe – 09/10 [Antarctic Love Story (Blizzard Arc)/ Partial Friendship]

First, for those of you who awaited for my posts last week, my apology for the one-week hiatus where I just wanted nothing to do with writing or blogging. The fact that all the 3 shows I’m currently blogging were meh last week was a final nail in the coffin. For Universe in particular, can’t […]

Mary and the Witch’s Flower – 73/100 (Joint Review)

Wooper: Mary and the Witch’s Flower is the first feature film from Studio Ponoc, which spun off from Studio Ghibli in early 2015. Given Ghibli’s towering reputation, the bar was high for this inaugural flick, which recently made its way to U.S. theaters, giving Lenlo and I a chance to see it on the big […]

In This Corner of the World (2016) Movie Review – 90/100

In this Corner of the World (for the purpose of this review, I’ll refer it as “Corner”), is the truest slice of life drama if you ever encounter one, in that it’s a slice into an ordinary life of an ordinary girl during the War period. That speaks into the very first strength of Corner, […]

Houseki no Kuni (Fall 2017) Review – 92/100

Make no mistake, Houseki no Kuni is the most ambitious anime project of the year. Not only because it’s an entirely CG project (and make a damn good use of it, mind you), or because of its narrative scope that at once strange, grand and beauty, but also in its very conception in their production […]

Fate/Apocrypha Anime Review – 64/100

I was quite excited for Apocrypha and in the so called year of Fate adaptations, it looked to be the crown jewel. Sadly, partly due to lacking adaption and the source lacking in areas, this anime turned out to be not quite the jewel I thought it would be. It’s hard to call this a […]

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World Anime Review – 73/100

One of the surprises of the year was to see the return of Kino’s Journey, a very well regarded and more unique anime among those deemed classic. Many, myself included, were very much looking forward to the return of Kino and her talking Motorrad. Though due to some factors this series doesn’t quite live up […]

Girls’ Last Tour (Fall 2017) Review – 86/100

Girls’ Last Tour falls within my favorite new trend that emerging the anime medium over the last decade: a dark moe anime. Set in a post-apocalyptic world where the human race has almost extinct, our two girls wandering around the world in their kettenkrad looking for food and shelter. If it sounds a bit bleak […]

Two tales of War: Reviewing The Heroic Legend of Arslan and Altair: A Record of Battles

It would not be an exaggeration to say that my favorite type of anime is the political-military epic. This comes partly out of my profession, I study war and politics, but also my hobby, as military and political history is something I enjoy. When it comes to anime there is a clear sub-category that can […]

The Night is Short, Walk On Girl (2017) Movie Review – 92.5/100

“How many decades have passed since our drinking contest?” “It hasn’t been that long. It was only a few hours ago, this very night!” That gap in time perceiving plays a significant role in Night is Short. For you see, it all depends on how our perception of the surroundings and time itself can affect […]

Ballroom e Youkoso Review – 65/100

In the weeks leading up to the summer 2017 season, Ballroom e Youkoso was one of the most buzzed-about new series. Produced by the Production I.G. team responsible for the smash hit Haikyuu!!, and set to air on Amazon’s brand new Anime Strike service, the series had no shortage of promotion or hype behind it. […]