Posted by psgels on 23 August 2010 with categories: Random Posts

Every year, about a month before the fall season, I hold this poll in which you can force me to blog one of the upcoming autumn seasons. In this contest, you can either force me to blog an awesome-looking series, or a series that I normally would never consider covering. I’m a bit earlier than usual this year (blame impatience).

Either way, during the previous years I asked you to simply drop a comment with the series you voted for. Unfortunately, because last time people cheated I had to find a different way to do it. I didn’t want to post a simple poll (I really want this contest to be between my readers, instead of people who visit random sites and click on random polls), so I settled with an online survey, which can be found here:

Here are some concrete rules:
– To make a valid vote, visit the above link and leave the titles of your selection. You can select up to two series from the upcoming Autumn season.
– The anime with the most amount of votes in the end will be blogged for at least 12 or 13 episodes.
Here and here are lists with the shows that are scheduled to air.
– This year I also decided to drop the “No direct sequels”-rule, so you can also nominate series as Index II and Sora no Otoshimono II.
– I haven’t tested this out yet, but at the online survey you should be able to modify your answer after having voted.
– I accept any series with an airdate between September 20th and November 11th.
– The poll will end at September 30, 23:59 GMT. All votes that arrive after that will be ignored.

You can find the results here:

Counted together, it makes for this list:
Bakuman : 83
Motto To Love Ru: 2
Super Robot Wars OG: The Inspector: 2
Tantei Opera Milky Holmes: 2
Fortune Arterial: 1
Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls: 1
Pokemon Best Wishes: 1

nb: the series in italics are invalid (why Kannagi?)

1. Msteak says:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes

2. Anon says:

Watch Super Robot Wars and maybe you’ll grow some balls.

3. Fai D Fluorite says:

Bakuman and Psychic Detective Yakumo!!
    Even heard a lot about the World God only Kmows :)

4. CherylHew says:

…I’m tempted to make you suffer this season LOL!

Kami Nomi zo Shiru Sekai and… and… *thinking of an obviously horrendous moe series*.. ah, I’ll settle for Sora no Otoshimono =D I await the results OHOHOHO!

5. CherylHew says:

..Dang, my plan seems to be failing =(

6. Suzuku says:

Toaru Majutsu no Index II and Bakuman

Wouldn’t mind Star Driver either :]

7. Tan-Tan says:

I hope you’re surely going to blog Letter Bee, because I didn’t vote for it.

8. Solaris says:

>This year I also decided to drop the “No direct sequels”-rule, so you can also nominate series as Index II and Sora no Otoshimono II
    BWAHAHAH You shouldn’t have done this. Now i’ll force you to blog… guess it :P

9. Solaris says:

Anyway, is it me or that survey page is horrible? >.

10. senerikfred says:

Can you link to the results page so we can watch the votes?

11. Taxy says:

Bakuman and Psychic Detective Yakumo.

Even if I think you would blog them without anyone asking for. :)

12. Acylia says:

Bakuman! All the way. ;)

13. mds says:

let’s make psgels blog series that he wouldn’t blog from its first impressions (yes,it’s The World God Only Knows /Kami Nomi zo Shiru Sekai)

14. AidanAK47 says:

I vote for The World God Only Knows(Kami Nomi zo Shiru Sekai)

15. Sapphire says:

I haven’t voted for Star Driver because I strongly believe psgels will blog it voluntarily ^^

GO Kuragehime!

16. BlandUserGsEf says:

Um, Psychic Detective Yakumo.

17. Kalandra says:

Psgels is likely to blog the Psychic Detective Yakumo anyway, unless it was badly made. Bakuman & The World Only God Knows on the other hand, is got ratedly lowly, though that might change once he saw the actual anime. Then again I don’t wanna risk it. So my vote goes to those two.

18. Loz says:

Im loling at whoever put giant killing.

19. Kalandra says:

Ok, cancel that opinion about him rating Bakuman low.

20. AuroraFlame says:

-_- People voting for Bakuman, Kami Nomi, and Yakumo when he’s already shown interest in them? I was going to troll with To Love-Ru but it might’ve ended up harder on me than you.

PSGELS, watch Honey & Clover already! Don’t get disappointed by saving it for last and hyping it up too much.

21. darkerthanblackswordsman says:

Since I am all but certain that you will blog Psychic Detective Yakumo, Bakuman and Tegami Bachi regardless, I would vote for Iron Man and Rita et Machin. However, neither has a chance of winning, so I’ll just pass…

22. Solaris says:

Hey let’s just resume the “Force Psgels to review Railgun (or similar stuff)”!! Vote 4 Index II. Index 4 PRESIDEEENT!! :P

23. Fireflyfu says:

aww come on guys, he would have blogged psychic detective and bakuman anyway, tactical voting guys, tactical voting. shiru sekai, star driver and kuragehime have manglobe, bones and brainbase behind them so even if they sound daft there’s a good chance they’ll turn out good and be blogged. togainu looks gay i’ll pass. index II bored by exposition i want to be not. ore no imouto – vaat? aic comes up with an imouto story yet another waste of their ridiculuously amazing budget. why does aic have money but giant killing guys don’t urgh.

amongst the second tier anime otome youkai zakuro sounds like it has potential but will probably bot be blogged, so i’d pick that. either that or we troll the poll with toloveru that’ll be fun.

24. mds says:

Meh…people (fangirls?) keep voting for Yakumo,even it is 80-90% will be blogged = =

25. Meep says:

Tegami Bachi Reverse

26. Anca says:

Voted for Togainu. Hey, psgels liked Uragiri and had a fairly positive rating of junjou Romantica, so IF it has gay themes, he won’t mind as long as the plot and the characters are ok :D

And for Ironman because it lacks votes,

27. Ransom says:

Kami Nomi zo Shiru Sekai and Bakuman…

Love both mangas. If I can make only a choice, then I go for Kaminomi :)

28. Fireflyfu says:

imma saving my vote for 30 Sept when people facepalm realising bakuman is going to be blogged anyway i’ll come in and save the day by voting the second on the list which will also be probably blogged anyway. to really put meaning to the ‘force me to blog’ phrase psgels should invert the list and then pick the first one…Fortune Arterial. eww.

29. totoum says:

i’m with Fireflyfu , the 2 animes that are ahead will be blogged anyway,I mean Psychic Detective Yakumo is done by BEE TRAIN,just as a quick reminder:
    psgels when the last bee trin anime came out : “Chance of me Blogging: 100% (BEE-TRAIN ROCKS)”
    or reviewing the before last anime bee train made : “This may be one of my more biased reviews, simply because I’m such a large Bee-Train fan.”

I’m not criticizing psgels,not at all.I’m just saying psgels doesn’t need a bee train anime to come ahead in a poll to blog it.

So my intent was on following solaris’ call,make him blog something he would never blog,except we need to get more organised,he voted index II and I voted sora no otoshimono II lol

30. Solaris says:

Nuu Totoum you’re EBIL: Sora no Otoshimono is actual torture! Al Quaeda is brainwashing their kamikaze bombers by forced view of Sora no Otoshimono (and kanokon)!!! Do you hate Psgels that much??? :P

*jk*

31. saffron says:

Kuragehime, or Goulart Knights would be entertaining :D (Only count my 2nd as a vote if it actually counts for an option, otherwise, Kuragehime)

32. Denizen says:

Bakuman is popular. Seeing as how you haven’t read the manga, however, it should be interesting to hear your thoughts. You may want to wise up on Shounen Jump series, and how the magazine works, to understand some of it.

I personally voted Kuragehime and Star Driver, since they’re lower down than i’d hoped. Seeing Ironman reviewed would be nice too, I expect it could be much like Ultraviolet.

33. sheratan says:

It seems that some anime are missing in the list above namely Baccano 2, Claymore and Birdy the Mighty.

Don’t know whether it is true but I will be very happy if there is some sort of “reboot” for the Claymore anime. They kinda mess up the first adaptation.

34. psgels psgels says:

Sheratan: that list is obviously fake. ;)

35. inkka says:

Whoa~ This season has many good anime to blog.For me I think the series that style surely suit you the most will be Yakumo, Bakuman and Kuragehime.
    One of those series that I interested the most is Bakuman.I read manga to the latest chapter and found it’s really good.But I want to know your opinion too.How the lot of text in the manga will be adapted.Interesting!

ฺีBut Otome Youkai Zakuro need some love! See the vote make me…a bit sad.I found it has some of interesting setting at least.Want you to give it a chance as well!.

36. senerikfred says:

Of all places for an original story about a professional, working adult woman to come from. Starts October 3rd, too.

37. psgels psgels says:

She’s an adult now? That’s just… random but completely intriguing…

38. tomtom says:

Voted iron man and star driver purely based on premise.. they aren’t doing too well though :(

39. Snowolf says:

Though Bakuman is a wonderful manga, everybody’s going to blog that, so I thought I’d recommend something off the major hit list. How about doing Psychic Detective Yakumo (which I now see IS a major hit) and Letter Bee: Reverse (I know you want to :D)

40. DestinyAlx says:

well, I don’t use to make comments unless I have something to say but I selected Bakuman and The World God Only Knows.

41. omo says:

can’t modify my answer…put in 3 by mistake ooops.

Don’t think any of them will win so no big deal.

42. psgels psgels says:

Hmm, so much for false advertisement. Next year I’ll try something different.

43. Solaris says:

Ok so, Bakuman? You were lucky this year too, but i’ll definitely force you blogging something wierd sooner or later!! I’m not an ENTJ Evil Overlord for sport!!! :P

Anonymous951955
We'll see; trailers can give false impressions
Anonymous951955
Not that all changes from source adaptations are terrible, but in this case, at least the trailer makes it look pretty bad.
Anonymous951955
It looks not great; I understand the need to change it a bit to suit the format/audience, but at what point does it turn from adaption to "loosely based on"?
HelghastKillzone
I'm glad we're past the phase of moe club shows.
@Helghast, now that's something I never thought I would hear.
HelghastKillzone
Hell ya. We are in a golden age of anime that is filled with options and quality.
What a great week! Iron Blooded Orphans, Onihei, Little Witch Academia and ACCA 13 all had great episodes! I am spoiled!
@Anon and @Aikan

The LoGH manga remake has been out. It did not work for me.

I hope he anime goes its own way. I do trust Production IG, so I hope. I think it might not be this year. No lgoic, just a hunch.
@Anon, Only info I can find is that it's coming out this year and it will be by Production IG. But I think you are right in that if it;s coming this year it will definitely be winter.
Feeling rather cautious about the remake myself. LoGH is dated visually but in a way it is a product of it's time and things you could forgive in the old version wouldn't be so forgivable in the new.
Does anybody know when that LoGH readaptation is coming? It's supposed to be this year right? Probably winter right?
But I will give it a full review anyways because all the amount of time I spent in that series should be paid off somehow, right?
But serious Gohands is a studio that had potential its just a shame its wasted on rubbish writers. Although I did like mardock scramble, because cyberpunk =)
If I met handshakers in public I'd refuse to shake its hand =D
Oh, it's actually just an extra Hand Shakers episode that serves as a prequel story. Not that bad then
Not to disregard Hand Shakers, but the best way to describe how I feel about that series is mind-numbing
They tried with that Military guy and his daughter but not by much.
But I do agree that there needs to be more to the characters, right now its JUST Tanya.
As for Tanya, having caught up with it, its a nice trashy guilty pleasure, especially due to the protagonist and I enjoy the setting because I'm a war film fan and like some of the action/politicking. I still do wish it was aesthetically a bit better. The dub isn't that bad and I'd welcome a second season.
In an ideal world Kino's journey would have been a good model for what light novel adaptations can be and SHOULD be.
If we must have more light novel adaptations, I would prefer them to be like Tanya, Muvluv, okay hardly breathtaking, but still better than that thing Aidan linked.
*Sigh* It looks exactly how I imagined it would and its terrible.
Please dont tell me thats an actual title.
In another world with my smart phone light novel to get an anime.

Oh my god...This literally sounds like a joke title you would see within an anime. Tried giving it an honest chance by reading it and it's just shit. Just pure terrible.
If people in Japan are actually buying blurays thinking its a good show then something is seriously wrong with the world.
@Topgavin, maybe too many people watched it because it was so terrible. I haven't watched past episode 1 but it doesn't sound like it improved.
Just incase you guys were avidly waiting for the announcement, Hand Shakers is getting a prequel season because it's apparently selling well......
Should be happy for it, though I'm a bit disappointed that I can't be able to cover it
Inside Mari gets live-action series adaptation. Why not anime?? Duh
Spike
Little Witch Academia finally tips it's hand on the overall plot! I'm pretty pleased and think some direction might help bump it up from just being 'good' overall.
HelghastKillzone
@KTravlos Still watching it week by week and I'll write up a review on the second season of Iron-Blooded when it ends.
@Mario: It is however the kind of anime film that would have the wide audience appeal though, as in anime for people who don't watch anime.
@Kaiser: just prove that people has paid attention to anime. That's an encouraging sign actually
Feck, silent voice was booked out when I got there just now....should have booked in advance, showing at 7:00 on Friday booking it now.
@KTravlos: I haven't, but that more because I'm not a big fan of Mecha genre. I believe one of our writer HelghastKillzone still follow the series
No idea, if you are all still watching MS Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans. I am, and while the 2nd Season toned down some of the elements that made the 1st Season good, it is still pretty good with the last episode doing a great job. If it keeps it, it definitely is head to head with Turn A Gundam for my favorite long-form Gundam Series (I am doing Gundam Origins for the original story)
Mhmm. It was one of those shows it weave adult themes into a kids show, so it had something for both. Now I can also appreciate the artstyle that doesnt use hard black outlines for everything.
If anything I get so much more out of Samurai Jack now than when I watched it as a kid.
Love that dude Aidan. And yes Kaiser, I think anyone get enjoy it now. I love that its back, but even without that its easily standing on its own
How much of this love of samurai jack is a nostalgia driven thing? I'm not knocking that nostalgia but would it be possible to get something out of the show now if I never watched it when I was younger?
Yeah, that conversation was great. Really shows you how messed up hes become. Its also amazing when you realize that was the last set of spoken dialogue in the episode. There was not a single word uttered in the second half.
The audience who enjoyed samurai Jack has grown up, them bringing up seppuku and blood is possibly a part of that.
Scene with the coffins was awesome as was the fight in the dark. My personal favorite part of the episode though was Jack arguing with his old design self. And young jack suggesting committing seppuku made my eyebrows raise. I mean..damn.
I agree Aidan. That quick shot of Jack vs the Daughter, with the sudden blood, suprised me as much as it did Jack. I really loved the scene with the coffins. The music nad sound was just great there.
@Lenlo, It was a really great episode. I love the meta of Jack being worn down by the wait and the wait the viewers had to endure for the new season. I is rather odd seeing blood in Samurai Jack though but it does make that particular moment have so much more impact.
April 16th for NZ. It is a lesser known movie than Kimi no na wa though, so I do wonder how available it's going to be in cinemas
This second episode of Jack was really just amazing. Its making full use of the new budget/tech for the art and of the new rating, along with the impact the timeskip would have on Jack. The cinematography was superb as well.
@Kaiser: Koe ko machi will creen in Aussie in the beginning of April as well. I'll go to watch it; but I would love to jear your thoughts on the movie.
There is a preview screening of koe to kachi on Monday night, depending I may go, I may review it or at least talk about it on here.
I'm dying waiting for the Blame! anime film adaptation to come out in May. I've wanted an adaptation for years.
And I'm too much of a cheap-ass to actually buy anything, don't even use legal streaming for films or anime/manga/comics, pirate almost everything.
Or shelves for that matter.
I've fallen out of the collectors thing pretty much entirely. I don't like to advertise any of my interests on my bedroom wall either.
Some years ago I ended up selling almost all of my anime dvds/vhs and manga, comic books aswell, took down my posters and moved what figures I had left into attic boxes , just no space for it and it was a good way to get some quick extra cash.
I love Rakugo as well, im not meaning to bad talk it at all. I simply also agree with Aiden that slow rolling us with Yakumo's death was poorly done and that its feeling stretched.
Nevermind, the $30 price tag made that decision for me
Weird how I see $8 movies on youtube as a ripoff yet a $90 series as a bargain. All these $300 box sets made me think it'd be in the hundreds. Wonder if I should get rebellion too
I'm still pretty much a fan of Rakugo this season. It goes much darker than the first season, something I didn't dare to think before consider this isYotaro's story. Would love to see more about rakugo's industry but this season does flesh out a lot of our core characters
I said it before but I'll bring it up again, the slow pace allows for, when big things happen to have a larger impact when they do.
*In
**and(not on) waiting for the series to finish
Season 1 showed a lot more, different periods and times, the development of Rakugo, the tragedy of Sukeroku & Miyokichi (or at least one version). In contrast, season 2 was basically about Sukeroku's legacy in the form of Yotaro and Konatsu and their kids, and Yakumo's relationship with death, changing from fatalistic to happiness over the course of the series.
I think it might be 13 episodes, the first season had 13.
To be honest, I understand your point: It's hard to actually describe what happened in season 2. I guess I became invested into Yakumo in season 1, and then warmed up to Yota and Konatsu in this season.
Yeah, I think they certainly could have compressed the front half of the season. There wasn't too much plot going on, but I enjoyed the characters and their interactions, so I didn't mind the deliberate pacing.
I still really like Rakugo, its really good, it just probably didnt need 12 episodes. That said, really lookin forward to the timeskip
@Mario: I've never actually seen any of Olivier Asayas' films come to think of it.
But going back to that dragging on, that did factor in almost making me hold off on waiting for the series to finish before going back. The anon's comment was what got me to watch this weeks episode right now rather than waiting till later.
Rakugo remains at this point still going in too long, but in fairness to the anon, yes the episodes conclusion was effective on emotional level and I bought into the dreamy atmosphere, largely due to the good cinematography the series uses.
Really? Im torn. Im glad they didnt bait and switch us again, but I always liked how grounded Rakugo was so im not sure how ok I am with the supernatural part and some of it felt like fanservice in regards to bringing characters back. The VA though is fantastic as always and I am definitely looking forward to this last timeskip. Cant wait to see the kids grown up.
Rakugo was otherworldly today. Not going to lie, was fighting tears back, but failed at the end.
@Topgavin: the bluray goes by region as well so you can only buy it in Australia/NZ region (region 4). For Madoka I still find it easiest to just go to JB Hi Fi and buy it. Sometimes I find it cheaper from JB Hi Fi than even their original distribution company.
@Topgavin, I ordered my Madoka bluray's from Amazon.co.uk.
Where do you guys buy your merch? Was looking into buying the Madoka blurays but can't find a reliable place to ship to NZ.
@Kaiser: nah, Personal Shopper isn't even a horror. It's just a failed arthouse that have little to say except grief.
...even now. For Raw, I would never expect the positive reactions from mainstream. I think the film really push the tolerance of the voewers, but it was a refrrshing watch.
@Kaiser: now you mentioned 2 films thay I really fond of. I come from Vietnam, so I could easily tell you that the settings are staged. The dialogue is pretty unnatural as well, but the movie grows a lot on me. I still love the striking visual and a long, slow mood the film evoke, and It speaks to one of the theme (women's identity in Vietnam society) that speaks well to me and still relevant...
@Mario: Is personal shopper really that mediocre a horror film?
@Mario: I also got back from seeing Raw a couple of hours ago, though the violence was enjoyable I was expecting it to be more so, it was also surprisingly funny at times.
@Mario: I did eventually see Scent of Green Papaya, while I did like that a plot actually did appear later on I was mostly content to find it a really pretty looking and generally relaxing film.
@Aidan: =< Sorry that anon post was me, was using the work computer and didn't log in.
@Anon, don't do that. Don't hint at future events and just let people see for themselves.
The glasses teacher in scum's wish will have an interesting moment to look out for in the coming episodes, I read on in the manga. Only one chapter left.
*ED instead of OD
@anon928813: usually they will release the music separately from the DVD/Blurays. I believed the OP had released last year, and according to their website the OD gonna release in 5th of April
Does anyone know the release date for Zaregoto's OST? Is it bundled with one of the BDs?
Y'know I'd like to see this Akane-sensei girl attempt to seduce me and just watch her fail at trying to do so.
My guess is that Miura will do another 6 or so chapter run then put it down for another while.
Im so happy Berserk Manga is starting up again, but im curious for how long. I remember sitting through that boat. I was there for all 7 years of it. Im like a hiatus vet now
Pretty much in agreement on titan where after what the first season covers I've pretty much been waiting for it to get back on track before I bother to get back to it.
I should be catching up and sangatsu and acca.
I never saw kekkai sensens first season so there's little chance of me watching the sequel.
Berserk and Natsume I'll just stick with the manga. I don't know about Bahamut, it took me a few episodes to get into before it became fun, but then the ending was disappointing, again maybe there's room for improvement in season 2.
I would hope that eccentric families second season would be able to live up to the potential of building on the first. However it's been a while since I've seen season one, might need to refresh myself.
For the Spring season, it is a season of sequels. From sequels alone, I'll follow Berserk, Eccentric Family, BBB, My Hero Academia, Attack on Titan, Natsume (is it the last season?), How to Raise a Boring girlfriend. I dropped Shingeki no Bahamut after 3 episodes, but might pick it up again before the new season begin.
Before that, Utena and Haruhi.
Gotta love the extend a passionate fan would go. The last time I felt passionate about something anime-wise was Monogatari as there was a period of several months that I watched nothing but that series, and rewatched and rewatched. It just clicked with me personally at that stage of my life.
At this point, ill watch/read anything with Berserk on it. I already own all of the original print runs of the Manga. If I had the money, I would buy everything else.
@Lenlo: I'll be on the same boat with you regarding Berserk. I know I CAN ENDURE it (finger crossed)
Man, your season preview reminded me I soon have to watch another season of CGI Berserk. Im not going to like it, but its a trial I must go through as a hardcore Berserk fan.
Im glad they didnt lose the funny robots in their pursuit of the Grimdark
That flute into Skatman-like singing was great
@Lenlo, I had the biggest smile when Jack destroyed the robots flute and he started singing with his mouth. Looking at clips of the show on youtube I don't think I appreciated just how funny this show was. Also digging Jacks PTSD and the daughters of Aku.
Dude has problems and I loved the singing robot
Have to say, enjoyed seeing Jack again.
Thanks Aidan! Cant wait to watch it tonight
Well I suppose it is moreso samurai Jack wasn't really a large part of my childhood.
Don't know how it is for security but I never really had trouble with it.
Love me some Samurai Jack though
It may just be Malwarebytes actin up. Ill look into it and if its a false flag check it out.
I never really had any opinion of samurai Jack when it was airing.
Oh I'm enthusiastic about Kino season 2, but I want to be cautiously optimistic just in case.
But has anyone read on in the Kino novels to confirm that a second season would have good material to work with, would it fall prey to the light novel curse that apparently many of then weaken by the third volume?
The only issue I've found with kiss is that, in firefox at least, sometimes it slows down my browser but only now and then. Never had any trouble with viruses or mal/spyware on it. Though it won't allow adblock =<
@Aidan: I was surprised at Kino's Journey news as well. Yay for having a new season!!
I have no problem with kiss whatsoever regarding virus. Hehe then try to catch it at Toonami
Yeeeah, sorry, my anti-virus isnt that big a fan of kiss.
You can watch it online at kisscartoon, of course at your own risk ^^
I really want to watch the new Samurai Jack season, but I cant catch it when it airs and dont know where to find it otherwise
Plan on getting the spring season Preview up today or Tommarrow. Things basically written up so it's just a matter of getting it to look right on the site.
Who here is watching the new season of Samurai Jack? That first episode hit me hard with nostalgia. It's like he never left.
Spice and Wolf season 3 may not be so impossible after all. Or hell even a Spice and wolf full remake, FMA Brotherhood style.
Holy crap, Kino's Journey is getting a new anime. Never thought that would happen. Sweet.
Art was great, sound was great, an argument could easily be made for 9/10. Its just cohesive story and efficient use of episodes means alot to me. I kinda had to actively remind my self to watch after ep 6 and then binged 10+.
8.5/10. I really liked the start, the middle kinda lagged plot wise for me which is always my most important metric, and the last 3-4 episodes were great.
@Lenlo: how would you rate it?
@Lenlo: it's the middle part that I completely fell in love with. Well, guess that everyone have different taste huh?
So finally finished Flip Flappers. Had it on my to do list since last season. It ended pretty well imo, but the middle lagged for me in places.
HXH does pull off drama well but one thing that annoys me is how it builds up these big confrontations just to have them fizzle out. An anticlimax may be unexpected but in some case it would be more satisfying to just have things play out predictably.
And it did it better than Naruto, which had 7 years to pull that off.
I think one of the reasons HxH pulled it off so well, is because the first like 100 episodes built up to it. It pulled off the slow transition of basic shounen to well developed drama sort of thing very well. It slow rolled us basically.
Since when did HxH become a feels trip show? ep135 just ruined me, and did it better than actual 'feels trip' shows because of how unexpected and masterfully executed it was. The Chimera ant arc may have been slow, but by itself it was very FMA:B reminiscent with the huge character cast, amazing execution and the conflict in antagonists and humans and their values/morals.
@KAiser: oh man, you remind me again that I need to watch Bela Tarr's films. I remember one of the blogger was frustrated at the Turin Horse for "showing the pot of boiled potato for 10 minutes". I was cackling hard with his comment.
@Mario: The realist genre in general really clicks with me, the neo-realist movement, can't get enough of it.
Selish giant, ratcatcher and fishtank, maybe even gummo might be other good example of social realist stuff.
Bela Tarr did two accessible films in his early career called Prefab people and family nest which had a social realist feel to them.
@Mario: I've seen Kathy come home, Daniel Blake, Kes and wind that shakes the barley, of those Kathy and Daniel were the most emotional rewarding but being Irish it was very easy to connect with wind that shakes the barley. But yes I agree (as would my father) that Loach loves to "announce everything" or turn everything into a speech.
I've heard good things about Lorna's Silence as well
so do you watch Ken Loach? admittedly I just watched his I, Daniel Blake and it was solid, but a bit too much "message" for my taste
@Mario: I'm fond of that kitchen sink/social realist type of drama in general.
Yes! I finally actually properly registered my name on here!
@Mario: I've seen Rosetta, L'enfant and le Promese, two days one night, very moving and affecting films. My eye is on Lorna's silence , but I haven't seen kid with the bike, so I'll give that a look.
@Kaiser: fair enough, although for me I never really care about the dub version. Always prefer the Japanese voices :)
They have such a simple, yet direct handheld film making styles, so simple that many accused them for being amateurish.
@Kaiser: I actually watched a handful of Dardenne's works so I can give you my recommendation. Rosetta for me is their best, L'Efant, The Kid with a Bike and 3 Days 2 Nights are all excellent; with their latest The Unknown Girl was a slightly letdown
KaiserEoghan
@Mario: Acca is quite slow and wordy, so I will wait for the English dub.
KaiserEoghan
@Mario: Might check out some more of the Dardenne’s works soon.
KaiserEoghan
@Mario: Yes, I also agree that Erdmann was largely more of a drama, though the balance between comedy and drama was masterful.

Little Witch Academia – 11[Blue Moon]

I don’t mind the lighthearted shenanigans of Little Witch Academia but in my opinion it’s episodes like this that will truly make the show memorable. After ten episodes of mere hints as to the state of magic and it’s history we get a truckload of answers. Why is magic being considered antiquated? Because magic is […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 24

When I started this season of Rakugo I was under the impression that this would be Konatsu’s and Yotaro’s story seeing as Yakumo’s had reached it’s end. However to my dismay it appeared that halfway through the season Yakumo has hijacked the series. I previously stated that the story of Rakugo has already ended with […]

Saga of Tanya the Evil – 10[Path to Victory]

What am I to say when the majority of the episode is detailing a military operation? I admit that content has become spare in this series as of late and the Tanya vs God battle has more or less been pushed to the sideline. Tanya had one moment here where it looked like her mission […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. – 11 [Furawau’s Flowers Smell of Malice]

Really ACCA? Only one episode left and you’re still in set-up stage, with the coup is lingering in the air, but never comes in real form. In fact, ACCA is a series about setting up. Its deliberate pacing can really test the viewer’s’ patience, and I totally understand if most of you have fallen out […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 22 [New School Term – Fighter]

We get to an end of 3-gatsu run but it feels more like a new beginning. Like what I feared last week the last episode doesn’t really have a conclusive ending, instead offers us the new semester of Rei and his childhood and his shogi, which in all fairness are the weaker parts of 3-gatsu. […]

Scum’s Wish – 10 [Fragile and Empty]

This week the main spotlight is heading back to our beloved Akane and two of her relationships preys, Mugi and Narumi. Although I really like the way the show addresses each of those tainted relationships until finally we’d get to the bare bone of Mugi and Hanabi’s core relationship, this episode for me is just […]

Little Witch Academia – 10[Bee Commotion]

I remember seeing a remark someone made that Little Witch Academia would lose half it’s fanbase when the realize that they don’t like Saturday morning cartoons all that much. While most likely said in jest, I find there is a certain degree of truth in that statement. I did enjoy this episode of Little Witch […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 23

The extended epilogue continues as Yakumo returns home after the theatre burns down. Some are signifying the burning down of the theatre as the death of Rakugo while others are speaking of it as a new beginning. After all Rakugo can be performed anywhere as long as someone is willing to listen. The members of […]

Saga of Tanya the Evil – 09[Preparations for Advance]

A calm before the storm episode as the war with the Republic draws close to its climax. It’s nice to see the episode start off with Tanya trying to rationalize her actions in the previous episode. What may not be apparent from the anime is that Viktoriya has a tendency of coming up with reasons […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100