Posted by psgels on 31 October 2010 with categories: Monthly Summaries

Here’s the thing with this season: when you look at the top, it’s quite lonely: there are very few series that have the potential to become a classic. There’s perhaps one, maybe two, out of all the shows that debuted that really has the potential to become an amazing series. This season however shines with the rest of its series: for an autumn season, there really are very few series that are just crap or completely uninspired. The largest majority of the series here have their charms, do something right and are worth watching. Because of that I consider this to be an average Autumn Season: it’s better and more varied than Autumn 2007 and Autumn 2009, but it also gets nowhere near the standards set by Autumn 2005, 2006 and 2008.

#31 (new) – Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls – (4/10) – Without a doubt the worst show of the season. Everything about this series is just bad, save from the fact that they used a nice filter over the art style. The acting is terrible, the plot makes no sense, the action is badly written, the comedy is dull, the fanservice is pointless… stay away from this one. Dropped.
#30 (39) – To Love-Ru – (5/10) – Okay, so it’s not Xebec’s worst, but To Love-Ru still sucks. It’s shallow comedy, built completely around fanservice and nothing else. The characters are still paper thin and cliched. I really see no hope for this one. Dropped.
#29 (new) – Iron Man – (5,25/10) – I really hope that the other Marvel anime aren’t going to be of the same standard here. Iron Man is completely stupid and uninspired.
#28 (new) – Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai – (6/10) – I really tried here. I gave three episodes a chance, and I couldn’t get through all of them. Beyond the ridiculously un-subtle premise, the subject matter of this series is also milked completely dry: yeah, they’re otaku, yeah, they bitch and moan about their hobbies, yeah they have to visit Akihabara as soon as possible. I don’t care at all about it, nothing really feels fresh and nothing stands out. Dropped
#27 (23) – Hakuouki – (6,5/10) – Here I also tried, but ultimately this show is just so dull and boring that I just couldn’t take it anymore. This pretty much is Studio Deen with its bishies again, in one of the worst possible ways. Dropped
#26 (new) – You Are Umasou – (7/10) – Harmless yet ultimately uninteresting kiddie show. Dropped
#25 (31) – Sora no Otoshimono – (7,25/10) – My interest in this series died when we saw the stereotypical leader of the Synapse. This show started off funny, but the latest episodes didn’t even get a chuckle out of me. The episodes just consist out of Tomoki harassing a bunch of random girls, getting beaten up afterwards, and that gets old really fast. The gimmicky fanservice also has seen its expiration date by now. Overall, this series is wasting too much time; the back-story could have been good, but it spends way too little time on it. Dropped
#24 (20) – Super Robot Wars OG – (7,5/10) – This… is a soap opera. Or at least, that’s my impression without having watched the first season. It does have some interesting parts in its plot, but the drama is shallow and superficial.
#23 (27) – Arakawa Under the Bridge – (7,5/10) – I can understand how this is supposed to be a series about a bunch of nut-cases who all together hang out under a bridge. I actually like that, you can do some interesting things with that. My biggest issue with this series is just that I don’t find it funny. The humour is all just either predictable or downright cheesy. I guess I sort-of like the characters and all, but it’s this humour and delivery that makes it really hard for me to even sit through this series.
#22 (new) – MM! – (7,5/10) – What a surprise, this show actually takes itself seriously. Really, I completely expected this to be some shallow comedy based on a simple gimmick and fetish, but instead curing deep and heavy traumas turned out to be a major theme of this series. That’s not to say that this series is perfect, though: it’s way too dramatic and uses shallow plot devices to create its drama. The episode around the science girl also took way too many liberties.
#21 (new) – Yosuga no Sora – (7,75/10) – This show is smut; the fanservice is just… way too much and obvious here. But the thing is, that for once we have a teenaged romance that has some actual balls: it doesn’t shy around the fact that teenagers can have sex, it knows how to flesh out its characters and create a good cast. It definitely sets itself apart from all of the other shows of its genre, but it does so in both good and bad ways.
#20 (25) – To Aru Majutsu no Index – (7,75/10) – The Orsola Aquinas arc isn’t the worst, but still below average for Index’s standards. Strange fanservice aside, its story just isn’t as interesting as some of the other Index arcs, despite the nice twists that it included.
#19 (new) – Togainu no Chi – (7,75/10) – It’s not the fact that the romance is gay here that turns me off, but it’s the way in which it’s so incredibly forced and awkward. Togainu no Chi suffers from bad acting, but the atmosphere itself is quite good.
#18 (new) – Fortune Arterial – (7,75/10) – Episode four really showed it: this series looks bloody generic, but the male lead stands miles apart the other harem leads in the way he managed the sports festival. Finally we have someone who isn’t a complete pussy or the most generic guy you can think of. This series still has its problems, like lots of cheap fanservice cliches (“oh! I tripped and landed with my breasts on you!”), and overall this definitely isn’t the most exciting show, but it holds potential. ‘
#17 (new) – Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt – (7,75/10) – Most of of Panty and Stocking failed to live up the action of the first episode: episodes 2, 3 and 4 were mostly dull comedies with outrageous fanservice jokes. Episode five really impressed me, though. It was completely disgusting, but I loved the animation of its second half. That really was not something I expected from this show. And to think that it was pretty much one big middle finger to all of the people who bitched about Gurren Lagann’s fourth episode, back in 2007.
#16 (new) – The World God Only Knows – (7,75/10) – Here’s the thing: this series pales in comparison to some of the other shows this season. It’s far from the best parody and I don’t really see this paying off as a deconstruction yet. The series works as a character-study, but it’s far from the best this season as well, and Elcea doesn’t really help to make things better here.
#15 (new) – Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru – (8/10)

Yeah, the lead characters’ voice acting is bad, the title screens are really annoying (hey, they’ve been in just about every Shaft Series for ages), but to be honest: this is my favourite Shaft series since Natsu no Arashi. It’s just an unambitious little slice of life series, without all of their usual pretension and instead they really focus on the characterization here. The chemistry between all of the different characters works, none of the characters really feels cheap or rushed. So yeah, I’m impressed. It’s really been ages since I’ve had this with a Shaft series.

#14 (22) – Yumeiro Patissiere – (8,25/10)

This show is a bit childish, but damn, when it wants to deliver it packs some good drama here. Setting up your own shop here and making it profitable, that’s something I really did not expect this show to have the balls to do and despite the obnoxious American stereotypes it’s working out well.

#13 (14) – Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu – (8,25/10)

It’s getting better! The past few episodes really showed an improvement for Denyuuden, with both the plot and characters becoming more interesting. The question now remains whether they can keep it that way.

#12 (new) – Bakuman – (8,25/10)

Solid. At the moment I don’t have a lot to say about this series, but it’s definitely interesting to watch the basics of the manga creating process.

#11 (12) – Nurarihyon no Mago – (8,25/10)

I’m very intrigued in the way that the creators of the anime have managed to add so much content to the story of the manga without making it feel out of place at all. It really made the cast and plot a lot more solid this way.

#10 (new) – Otome Youkai Zakuro – (8,25/10)

Okay, so while I did not end up blogging this series, I do want to say that it’s got some excellent characters. The past number of episodes did a great job in giving some depth to them. The main reason I’m still a bit iffy about this series is the unambitious story, which really is much of the same: I don’t sense enough potential for this series to set itself apart from the others. It’s really good at what it does, though, make no mistake about that.

#9 (new) – Tantei Opera Milky Holmes – (8,25/10)

This show is killing me. Perhaps it’s not the most solid comedy, but it did make me laugh the hardest of all of the shows this season. It just keeps on coming with jokes and parodies of the moe and the kaitou-genre. It’s completely over the top in just about everything it does, but nearly all of the jokes are fresh and funny. Definitely the biggest surprise for me this season.

#8 (new) – Shinrei Tantei Yakumo – (8,25/10)

It’s not up to par with Bee-Train’s usual standards: it’s too rushed for that. Yet, this fast pacing of trying to stuff as much as possible within just 13 episodes does have its charms. The plot moves fast, and yet all of the stories do deliver when they need to. On top of that, the soundtrack is still excellent, the overall plot is intriguing as heck, so I’m quite happy with how this series turned out so far.

#7 (7) – Katanagatari – (8,5/10)

Now that we’re nearing the end, I have to say that everything is coming together quite nicely. Togame and Shichika developed into a great couple, the dialogue has my attention from beginning to end. I’m just a bit worried about how we don’t really know much about the final bosses, but apart from that, I’m glad I stuck with this series.

#6 (new) – Shinryaku! Ika-Musume – (8,5/10)

A very effective comedy: the jokes are fresh, varied and hilarious. Especially Squid Girl is a wonderful character in the way that she acts, is animated and delivers her antics with a great comedic timing. There are a few repeated jokes here and there, but apart from that this has been non-stop hilarity.

#5 (new) – Kuragehime – (8,5/10)

I’m really surprised at how well the chemistry between the different characters turned out here. The energy behind them is consistently addictive, and the creators are especially good in toying around with emotions.

#4 (4) – Shiki – (8,5/10)

We didn’t get to see much due to Noitamina’s bloody hiatuses, but what we saw was a completely desperate turn of events here that I really didn’t see coming.

#3 (new) – Star Driver – (8,5/10)

Hell yeah, this promises a lot as the spiritual successor of Utena. The characters are diverse and well fleshed out, and on top of that it’s one of the very few series that really comes with something new here. It’s flamboyant, of course, but that really gives it a unique charm.

#2 (5) – Letter Bee – (8,75/10)

Well, the first season really ended at the moment where Letter Bee got really good. Letter Bee has really gotten amazingly charming over the past month, with both top notch episodic stories and a main plot that gets more and more intriguing. Definitely one of the top shows of the Autumn Season

#1 (2) – Heartcatch Precure – (9/10)

Heartcatch Precure… actually surpassed itself yet again this month. Really, it’s based on a very flimsy premise, and yet no scene was wasted this month: it was chock full of character-development, and in between there was the school festival arc, which was wonderfully portrayed. Seriously, it’s been ages since a mahou shoujo took up my first place in these rankings, but this was one well deserved.

1. Ncrdrg says:

I appreciate your monthly reviews since they often point out shows I wouldn’t pay attention to otherwise. Like Shinryaku! Ika-Musume.

However, I’m really baffled at how you love Yakumo and Star Driver so damn much.

I’ll admit, Star Driver has been pretty cryptic so far so we don’t know a lot of what’s going on and thought the first episode was great.
    But the next episodes were like a copy-paste of the first one. Main guy chats up with new villain, fights it out in a alternate space duel. New villain is now stronger, hero has to pull out a new power to beat him. I tried to like it and I certainly hope it’s just a set up for the rest because so far, it’s been about pretty fights, silly romance and little content for me. Don’t see what’s so fresh about that.

And Yakumo… it’s just too rushed. There’s no other way around that. I know you always judge an anime by its own merits but I can’t like even one bit an anime which has little to no suspense because everything moves too quickly and crams multiples big chapters into a single episode.
    Might be because of the manga which moved at a much slower pace and really did give me the chills and hold my breath for the reveal. But ultimately, I still think it’s an horrible mystery anime. Detective Conan is able to stand a single episode with a good flow most of the time and for more complex cases, extend on 2 episodes. And Yakumo feels like a Detective Conan 3 parts mystery crammed into a single episode.
    And ultimately, that’s why I hate the series.

2. psgels psgels says:

The reason I like Star Driver is becuase of its characterization. It’s indeed episodic nd follows a formula, but what goes on inside that formula is what caught my interest. It’s very well animated, and while I agree that we don’t know much of the overall story so far, it’s the individual stories for all of the episodes that have me really entertained. If you usually don’t like episodic serise though, then I guess that you’ll have a hard time getting into it.

The reason why I like Yakumo is much simpler: I’m not watching it as a mystery series anyway. Before the series started I had already heard that the mystery is rather predictable, and how apparently you could point out the culprits from the moment they were introduced, so I decided to just focus on the characters, and the anime seems to have done the same as well. I agree that it’s bad as a mystery series, but I don’t really think that that’s what it’s trying to be.

3. andrea says:

Really, I’d flush this whole season down the toilet except maybe P&S and Kuragehime which are barely decent. And Star Driver isn’t even remotely comparable to Utena; it’s more like Code Geass meets Mars of Destruction.

4. Unentschieden says:

“yeah, they’re otaku, yeah, they bitch and moan about their hobbies, yeah they have to visit Akihabara as soon as possible”

A shame really. It´s really not about that, and had you dropped it for a different reason it wouldn´t be so frustrating. Especially if you didn´t get to Ep4 which is about the hearth of the series: Keima being Keima.

5. Decado says:

I generally agree with psgels monthly reviews, as it mimics my general anime watching tastes… However, I cannot for the life of me understand what you find funny about Shinryaku! Ika-Musume – I watched the first few episodes and I found them incredibly cliched and boring… I suppose you cant always see eye to eye :)

Apart from that, im quite enjoying the World Gold Only Knows… ep4 is a good farce with terrible software development

6. mousoukyoku says:

“And Star Driver isn’t even remotely comparable to Utena; it’s more like Code Geass meets Mars of Destruction.”

I wouldn’t go as far as psgels and say it’s a spiritual successor since for that to happen we would need Ikuhara, but other than that I think it’s at least reminiscent and/or comparable. I don’t expect it to become as ingenious and unique as my favorite series, but I’m definitely enjoying it a lot for the time being. Utena’s first episodes weren’t THAT awesome either (as much as I wholeheartedly love the series as a whole). The real meat developed over the course, which is why I’m being patient with Star Driver as well.

7. Joojoobees says:

Fascinating reading. It definitely helps to put the season in context (usually I think more specifically about the few titles I follow, and ignore the rest).

8. Dgrin says:

I agree to mostly everything except the comment about “Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru” lead voice acting, I think the deliberate bad acting and deaf tone pitch changes are what make the character even more realistic,interesting and likable to me..

9. Rednights says:

A lot of shows here I haven’t seen before … gonna check out Nurarihyon no Mago … I’m not gonna lie it looks interesting based on that second screen shot of it .. I guess I’m a bit too superficial …

Shinrei Tantei Yakumo looks like a nice one too .. good list =)

10. GPrieto says:

I agree with Dgrin: the lead voice acting ‘Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru’ is one of the strong points of the anime. And if you put some attention, you will find that is the same voice of Jun Kamigano (Natsu no Arashi!). I really fall in love with Hotori.

11. Tsubaki says:

The worse season of anime in years. Hopefully 2011 will be better for animation overall.

12. Solaris says:

As usual the montly summary points out how different tastes i and psgels have. I used to disagree quite completely, but this time i’m happy to notice some more shows i like in the top ten. Usually i like shows psgels rates around #20 or so (my fav one is around there this time indeed too).

And let’s not speak about #1… soccer before and now majokkoes. Sigh…

Shoutbox

Name:
Email:
For:
Mail will not be published
  • Bam
    (Wednesday, Jun 29. 2016 12:13 AM)
    @Kaiser: of course me and you never had any issues, we are mutually respectful. The problems arise when kids run their mouth, and then go cower when shit gets real. They think a few nervous ‘lol’s and ‘haha’s with a blasé attitude gets it done, but I’m raised in the streets of hell, they’re gonna leave way more pissed of then when they started.
  • Bam
    (Wednesday, Jun 29. 2016 12:06 AM)
    @Kaiser: lol are you seriously baiting me back to an Eva topic? I might’ve been wrong about you, you seem to get off on shenanigans;)
  • Kaiser Eoghan
    (Tuesday, Jun 28. 2016 10:18 PM)
    Brits abroad were getting a good deal out of being in the EU though in terms of welfare.
    Leaving is just going to make trading more expensive too.
  • Kaiser Eoghan
    (Tuesday, Jun 28. 2016 10:17 PM)
    It will be interesting to see this develop and if the sterling will recover/will Britain actually get along on its own.
  • Kaiser Eoghan
    (Tuesday, Jun 28. 2016 10:16 PM)
    I know I heard that America was re-thinking when it came to how they’d trade with Britain.
    The effect the Brexit has had on the Sterling apparently now makes it cheaper for me to order from the UK.
  • Kaiser Eoghan
    (Tuesday, Jun 28. 2016 10:10 PM)
    @K-off: I’m suspect at France ever leaving (or Frexit as people are calling that possibility), that idea is mainly being hyped by the national front, who while have influence/increasing influence will never be influential enough.
  • K-Off
    (Tuesday, Jun 28. 2016 09:46 PM)
    the influx of muslims that appear to threaten the liberal society (particularly homosexuals) of Britain and as a result I don’t want to call those concerned about it simply “racists.” It’s a legitimate concern that’s been taken over by racial hysteria, although at the end of the day it’s not worth everything else that comes with leaving the EU.
  • K-Off
    (Tuesday, Jun 28. 2016 09:41 PM)
    @Kaiser My knowledge of UK politics is relatively shabby, so I can’t speak for everything surrounding David Cameron and Article 50 as far as that’s concerned. But as for immigration, as much as I disagree, I do get the grievances people who voted “out” have for the EU’s immigration policy, namely
  • Kaiser Eoghan
    (Tuesday, Jun 28. 2016 09:39 PM)
    Come to think of it, I started using Kaiser as an online alias after hearing the word in a history class when I was 13, Kaiser also happened to be the name given to one of Sigma’s forms in one of the megaman X games which I was really into at the time, there was an old sega game called Ristar where in the Japanese version the villain was called Kaiser.
  • Kaiser Eoghan
    (Tuesday, Jun 28. 2016 09:36 PM)
    @K-off: As in people were actually voting to leave as a protest, rather than thinking/wanting britain to leave.
    Theres also been a hate campaign going on since the fallout now off Poles being beaten up.

1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · »

Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 13 1

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World – 13

When I heard about this arc being hard to watch I readied myself for a number of things. I was prepared to see Subaru die gruesomely, to see him tortured and broken. However while I was ready to see him get destroyed by others; I didn’t expect him to be the architect of his own […]

Kiznaiver - 12 1

Kiznaiver Review – 60/100

Kiznaiver is a very different faire from Studio Triggers other works in that it takes a more serious tone and has a writer who tends to go more for the melodramatic. This is a tale about a group of very different people gathered together and have their pain linked to one another. In an effort […]

Kiznaiver - 12 2

Kiznaiver -12

This was certainly pure narrative confusion at it’s zenith and in that regard I don’t mean that the events depicted were hard to understand but rather a general confusion on what mood it wants to go out on. In this episode we had comedic, drama and climatic showdown all hastily weaved together to try and […]

Bungou Stray Dogs 12c

Bungou Stray Dogs – 12 (end)

And we get to the end of Bungou Stray Dogs, but this last episode doesn’t offer any conclusive ending, instead feel more like a set up episode for the next season. This last episode functions like a typically Bungou Stray Dogs’ episode; there are many good things to say about it, mainly the technical triumphs […]

Joker Game - 12 2

Joker Game Review – 50/100

When experiencing the wave of new anime each season it can get rather tiresome to notice all the teenagers fighting supernatural forces while gathering a harem through seer luck or similarly tired concepts. So when something like Joker game comes along and takes a road less traveled with it’s story, naturally I am well on […]

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress – 10

After the Horobi’s laser light show and having Biba-sama completely dominate the narrative with his super cool looking henchmen, Koutetsujou no Kabaneri is back on track although it’s on different rails for here on out. Imprisoned by the Hunters and being caught in the middle of the impending final conflict between the Shogun and Biba, […]

mayoiga 07b

Mayoiga Review – 78/100

Mayoiga has to be one of the most misunderstood shows in recent years. On a surface, the premise alone has a lot of potential. The idea behind putting 30 people, each of them has very different set of personalities, together in a bus to a mysterious lost village, in order to start over new life […]

Joker Game - 12 2

Joker Game – 12

Upon finishing yet another rather uneventful episode of Joker Game, I began to wonder just what this series had planned for its finale. “How best to top off a rather mediocre series such as this?” I thought to myself. However when looking over general consensus over the episode I found out that I seen the […]

Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 12 4

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World – 12

This looks to be the weakest episode of Re:Zero to date which does seem to be a trend when it comes to the arcs of the series. When looking over these twelve episodes I have come to find that the weakest episodes of the series are the first episode of an arc which does make […]

Kiznaiver - 12 1

Kiznaiver Review – 60/100

Joker Game - 12 2

Joker Game Review – 50/100

mayoiga 07b

Mayoiga Review – 78/100

akTwkhF

Stella Glow Game Review-60/100

I really should be getting Grand Kingdom or waiting for Mirage Sessions. My review of Stella Glow is way past relevancy being nearly 8 months late, but I finally completed this and it wouldn’t hurt to briefly wrap up my thoughts about the game created by the now-defunct Imageepoch. I somehow managed to get through Lord of […]

rs33

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir Game Review – 87/100

Oh my. This game was just utterly, utterly incredible when it came out, so despite disliking the usual remasters (ahem, Valkyria Chronicles), I was pretty stoked when I learned I’d be able to play this again on better hardware. It came out really late into the PS2’s lifetime in 2007, so at the time, I […]

romance of 3 kingdoms

Chinese Animation Guide – Part 4: Chinese Traditional Animated shows

Welcome to the last part of our Chinese animated guide. This part will cover Chinese traditional art style, for me personally this is the most enjoyable group. The first thing you might notice in these shows are they were in different format ratio, lean more towards the Academy ratio format. I always find their traditional art […]

20160513001913_1

Lucid9: Inciting Incident Video Game Review – 85/100

It’s not often I pick a game up without prior knowledge. I abhor the act of pre-ordering and at least do a google search on the title to get a general idea of it’s overall quality. Gone are the day you walk into a game store and buy something purely on a whim or the […]

The Totem Warrior

Chinese Animation Guide – Part 3: Haoliners inputs

This part we explore one Chinese animation studio’s works. I choose Haoliners partly because they are independent studio, and their works are not hard to find. Just established in 2013, Haoliners is an indie studio but gathered more reputation in the last few years in their homeland. My experience with them through those titles below […]

Cover

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress OST Review

This will be the first time in my anime blogging career that I have ever done one of these anime OST review. It should be known that I have a complete bias for Hiroyuki Sawano as he has become one of the biggest composer for anime in recent years in some of my favorite anime […]