Posted by psgels on 27 November 2010 with categories: Autumn 2010 Kaleidoscope

Okay, perhaps last week would have been a better time for me to blog an episode of Index, but I did not know that that arc would just take up two measly episodes. And besides, this episode was pretty much was as interesting as it was terrible, which is pretty much what Index is all about.

So far, the second season of Index has been a huge mixed bag, but that’s part of its charms: the first arc was rather dull, the second arc was surprisingly good for being the lost chapters of Railgun (I really liked how they just cut the crap there and went straight to the point instead of dragging on). The current third arc is definitely enjoyable: it’s not the most ambitious arc, but it puts a lot of emphasis on the chemistry within the cast, which was quite enjoyable.

But really… there is fanservice, and there’s taking these dull romantic cliches way too far. How many times did Touma walk into a naked girl? How many times did his face get planted in someone’s bosom? Why did the creators suddenly introduced yet another random girl for Touma’s harem? It makes no sense, it feels lazy and it was completely pointless, making it seem like Touma can’t be friends with a girl unless he gets some romantic tension with her or something…

Either way though, this episode wasn’t a complete waste. I liked Touma in the rest of the episode, where there were a ton of different things that were going on. That’s how I like these sports festival episodes: we’ve seen them done to death by now, but this episode made well use of it to show some good antics. Another piece of criticism that I can give here is that the magical items in this show are starting to become mere McGuffins: especially in this episode, you could have replaced that Stab Sword with for example the “magical pizza of the annihilation of something very important”, and it wouldn’t have changed this episode in any way.
Rating: * (Good)

1. Azule says:

What did you think of last week? The previous two episodes seem to have sparked the feeling that people prefer Railgun to Index from the several forums and blogs i’ve looked over. I find it a little bit strange that you’ll watch Index but not Railgun, but that might just be me..seeing as I obviously think Railgun is ten times better than Index.

2. Solaris says:

Thank you very much for blogging an episode of Index in your weekly random episode pickup post.
    I know you missed various key-points here and there, so expect some essays very soon cause it will be a long lecture this time.

3. Murderface says:

The second arc wasn´t lost chapters of railgun, it was novel 8 from Index…

4. Solaris says:

First lecture: Chapter organization.
    Index stories are divided in chapters, each having an argument as a main theme. Chapters require from 2 episodes up to be told.
    Touma is usually the main char, but last time it was Kuroko.
    The main lead of the chapter usually drag his/her own life nicely at start, but at a certain time something happens.
    So starting episodes appear usually rather dull cause they focus on uninteresting or comedic antics. Fanservice is always stuffed in these episodes, and it usually is meant for lightening the mood, to mask dangerous events to come and let the audience relax a bit before the true start of the chapter.
    Now if you dislike fanservice it’s your own problem, but please refrain from calling this a fanservice show, as it’s not the case here.
    At some point an event occurs that changed the mood eventually.
    Last arc Kuroko was attacked by a powerful teleporter that spoke about Mikoto by chance.
    She ended in that situation cause of her normal work as a Judgement officer, following the lead of a normal theft. Eventually that occurrence dragged her in a risky business about the dark side of Academy City she’d never suspected ever happening.
    This time, during the normal execution in the sport festival with Touma being busy with his own harem (and this is told in a comedic way, as having an harem here is more than a drama for poor Touma, as opposed to a canon Harem show), he incidentally happened to shake hands with a beautiful foreigner girl who he bumped into by chance. This caused a reaction by his Imagine Breaker. This is the true start of the chapter.
    This episode cleverly adds informations without the audience even noticing them, while it distracted them with boobs. Yes: You look at the boobs and don’t even notice trouble approaching by the appearence of a beautiful blonde girl.
    This is how Index really is. A subtle game about situations…

5. Solaris says:

Addendum:
    Watch out calling Stab Word like that. Nothing is what it’s like at start, and Stab Sword is no exception…

6. Murderface says:

Yep…there are some pretty neat plot twists regarding the Stab Sword…

7. Ransom says:

Aisa Himegami said so: Touma’s life is like a dating sim where he is continually unlock more paths to more girls… With the exception that he only gets misfortune out of it XD

8. Dthiswhtuseek says:

But then again, really, the cleavage of that committee member girl, sorry can’t remember her name at the moment, is just inexcusable, they were ridiculous even by the overly-endowed-in-anime standards.

9. psgels psgels says:

Azule: my view of Railgun is that I fail to see the point of it. I liked the previous arc, but to watch an entire series built around nothing but that is just too much. Index instead builds a ton of things around them, and they’re just a small part of something really large, while Railgun mostly felt like a waste of time to me.

Solaris: my main problem is that this second season has been a little too full of those fanservice moments, though this episode was indeed the worst in that regard. It’s the fact that it uses these fanservice cliches that have been done to death by now over and over that I don’t like. If it did it once or twice I wouldn’t mind, but that comittee member in this episode or that panty-scene with Index were just completely pointless and unneccesary.

10. Solaris says:

Psgels: Just bear with it. It’s a real pity to take down this show for some pointless fanservice scenes.
    It’s just like Letter Bees panty bond between Lag and NIchi. I recall people angry about that little joke they wanted to quit it.
    It would have been a real mistake, as it’s a big mistake to think Index is just another stupid harem fanservice show. Believe me.

11. Spike says:

The festival arc lends itself to fanservice because you have basically ALL the main characters interacting with each other when they normally wouldn’t. Some of the scenes with index and mikoto interacting are gold.

And when psgels says he’s glad they cut ‘the crap’ and got straight to the action I think he’s not appreciating the world building. novels like index and denetsu no densutsu want to immerse you in the world they are building. It’s like reading lord of the rings and not caring a bit about Middle-Earth.

12. psgels psgels says:

Spike: I can actually enjoy world building quite a bit. My problem is when series put everything behind this world building, to the point where the building up becomes boring and uninteresting to watch. The biggest reason for this is that I’ve become a bit tired of series that spend so much time building up, only to not use the things they built up for.

13. akani says:

Don’t worry, the Stab Sword isn’t what it looks like. This is the last time in Index that there will be a crisis involving a magical artifact this season (unless you count the arc after this, but I wouldn’t really view it as an “artifact”…)

The rest of Index will be epic, especially the end. The season is focusing on tensions building between the magic and the science side, and take note of the word “war” used in this episode.

And I totally agree on your viewpoint of Railgun. It’s a waste of time and Mikoto is an annoying character. There are some important details here and there but they’re not enough to watch 24 episodes of Mikoto acting cute and stubbornly rushing into situations without regards to her surroundings.

I’d recommend you check out the Index light novels, since the anime glosses over important details and cut great parts out when the light novel fully explores the history and details behind the setting of Index and it doesn’t rush things like the anime does.

14. Tsuki says:

The thing with the “world building” is that I think it doesn’t translate well from light novel to anime. I’ve read the light novels, and I can say for sure that the world the author built is intricate and pretty well thought out, but the big issue here is when it’s turned into an anime.

The sheer amount of explanation needed to properly flesh out the significance of certain key details (sometimes small, but important) would make this anime very dialogue heavy if everything was fully explained.

I guess, in the end, the issue at heart is how to balance the right amount of exposition in an anime.

15. Frost says:

Index is one of those animes that makes me shake my head in disappointment… The setting had so much potential and they just throw it down the toilet with stupid cliches and annoying characters

Reason why I dropped the first season halfway and dont plan on watching this

16. Spike says:

totally agree with Tsuki, the anime amps up the action but the novels play up tension and connecting the dots. A lot of the ‘magic’ pardon the pun, is lost in the transition to tv.

Railgun series is pure fanservice. They turned ir into a generic high/middle school show. The railgun manga has some great arcs too though so there’s hope for a strong second series (which is definitely coming)

17. Nightyy says:

Most of your criticisms towards Index in general are valid, but I find it misperceived that you are most quick to just label the new girl as another harem addition when all her scenes thus far with Touma, while fanservicy in nature, has been less than romantic or implies so.

18. Solaris says:

Tsuki said it right: Index needs a lot of exposition to build up good. And they did put exposition in the first serie.
    But, alas, exposition was the reason people disliked it, and appreciated lighteharthed Railgun more.
    Put into JCstaff shoes now: Given these signlas how’d you translate Index now?
    Just axe down exposition and hilight commedy, and keep fanservice for god’s sake.
    All of JCstaff recent anime were just fanservice crap. Look at Ookamisan, the first experiment on what do people look anime for: Just give them likeable thin paper char and a bit of fanservice and they’re happy.
    Why even to bother with such a difficult setting like thet of Index? Axe it, and give them boobs and explosions. That’ll make it.

Of course i’m not happy with it, but at least i’m happy they’re keeping it right close to the novel happenings. That is something good to begin with.

19. Solaris says:

2) Is it Harem?
    Index novels use the damesel in distress cliche to put Touma into action. Touma is rather passive element on his own. He’d rather live his plesant life as a student than fighting magic wars on top of it.
    But, as he’s got a great sense for justice he’d fight for good without rest and that’s where the damesel in distress triggers the change of mood for Touma to resolve to fight!
    Can’t say more cause i’d spoil but Boob girl and Himegami are there for a reason other than being object of pointless fanservice.
    Of course, given the good hint for harem, why not to play a bit with it?
    How many novels are there up now? 10? It means a little squadron of girls who have feelings for Touma saving their lives.
    This was hinted several times in Index: In the 3rd arc, the sister, Touma brings home Misaka Imouto and Both Himegami and Index complain about him hanging out with yet another girl other than them.
    Touma’s Harem is something unwanted and reflects a bit of Touma proverbial “Fuko-da”, simply meaning more trouble for his wannabe quiet ordinary ulucky student life.
    Eh, you know, women are such a hassle, but how to live without them? ;)
    So fanservice or not, that is just a play and it’s unrelated to the main theme of Index, that is war between Magic and Science. It’s not a mistery why fanservice and commedy are just packed at start, as an unrelated prologue to each novel events.
    It’s like keeping a light mood just before the storm arrives.

20. Solaris says:

3) Themed Novels
    Every novel, or arc if you like, keeps a theme used for building up Index-universe.
    Novels usually are about one of the two magic sides, and explain some keypoint.
    Let aside the first novel that introduced the whole universe, we’d been introduced to Aleister Crowley plans in the second novel, the dirty face of Academy City in the third, What’s Angel Power and Idol theory in the fourth, The weird experiments of Academy city and the embodyment of esp power with the sixt. The fifth novel looks unrelated but an old villain got promoted to hero, and you’ll see more of his doing. With the new serie, most of the building up was done and the seventh novel, the nun arc teach you about the power balance between magic factions, with Touma undirectly involved. The last arc, kuroko’s little adventure teach you about esp-powers, where they come from and what they are for. This comes from Kuroko confronting herself with a much powerful teleporter, that is afraid of her own power and thinks power are evil, blaming all of her evildoing to them. This arc was awesome indeed and i would like to write more about it later.
    Thus said, Index is something like a big puzzle and you’re told it piece by piece, and every arc uravels one piece that fits perfectly into the big plan of Aleister.
    I am aware they can’t do 1:1 perfect job adapting it to an anime, which is a media that’s mad up more for action than for connecting strings in some njn linear storytelling, but i hate how everything must be thrashed cause of minsurderstanding this for plain crap fanservice.

21. Unentschieden says:

While there are apparently boatloads of random magical mcguffins in Index they actually DO come up again in the novels. You couldn´t just replace the Stab sword or even the book of the law – if the anime gets that far…

I would have prefered it if the magical beings were weird looking instead of all of them being beautiful sameface humans. Also the special role of Chise and how everyone gets alured by her give me strong otome vibes and I am really not a fan of this gerne
@Lenlo/KT same here. It's just that AMB can't come even close to Inu, Shuumatsu or Houseki. I am no a fan of the pacing and the rest is basically just fantasy.
Was worried there for a moment thinking sangatsu no lion was ending next week, turns out season 2 is 22 episodes afterall.
Yeah KT, watching the two together has not come out favorably for AMB for me.
I believe it works better in hellsing and drifters moreso to both being goofball action shows.
A point on the chibi in AMB. I was thinking about shows were the chibi did not bother me, and Hellsing Ultimate and Drifters (newest episodes coming out), both had deformed/chibi segments. For some reason they did not bother me. I think ABM directors have bad timing with them.
I have to say Ichirou Inuyashiki is very cool. Like he is really a cool character. Also I am saddened to say it but watching AMB together with Inuyashuki does not work well for AMB
@Silver: There are sad moments certainly but plenty of humour.
Man, I sure hope Ichirou Inuyashiki and Hiro Shishigami make out, everything is just building up to that
silver
I actually have only watched one or two episodes of this season of 3-gatsu, but its rising scores and rave reviews are making me really excited! I've only put it off because it's somewhat emotionally tiring for me
@Kaiser: Well, after the first season of 3-gatsu ended, I did skim ahead to this bullying arc so I already know this is going to be powerful, yet the anime still wow me over and over
Also it can be tricky selecting a season sequel since some old series had like 50 to 100 episodes, what counted as a season then?
@Kaiser-Eoghan - It's more common in videogames (especially Capcom) than in other mediums. Megaman 2, RE 2, Street Fighter 2, Dino Crisis 2, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, etc.
Actually in a rarity, a sequel season is better than the first.
Which makes my enjoyment of sangatsu so strange.
And I generally do not like game/sports orientated shows.
That you slightlySuper-erMario and superwooper!
And my reaction to the show is such, that I enjoyed it enough to make such a huge pot about it.
Also I want Akari to be my mom and Hina is adorable without being annoyingly so and Kana Hanazawa is doing a good job voicing her.

And whoever said it is right, the op/ed songs are worth listening to, for once I’m not skipping them.
At this point it feels as if by the end of the series I’ll come off it thinking that I don’t want to say goodbye to these characters.
I don’t think as of just yet it complete lives up to honey and clovers legacy though.
I never cared about Harunobu initially, but recent episodes have changed this.
Dull parts of the manga are easier to get through for me in the anime due to Shaft elevating the material with one of the better uses of their visual gimmicks.
Giving the series another chance, even though I won’t fully embrace the humour, it does now and then manage to make me laugh a little.
The bullying arc centering on Hina and the shows treatment of it is better than most anime bullying stories and has provided the most emotionally rewarding aspect of the show.
Characters that are assholes like Kyouko’s boyfriend, Kyouko herself I’m finding somewhat more sympathetic and want to see more to their personal drama.
However I do genuinely think that the series does a good job of allowing dramatic moments to creep up on the viewer, that early scene of Hina crying over her mother, Rei’s family flashbacks, Akari’s concerns about Hina/the stuff with her dad, all the scenes with Kyouko do carry an effective and solid dramatic weight to them.
I feel it starts very strong, making a great first impression, then kind of has these dull moments that make it sort of a slog at times to get through, unfortunately I have no interest in chess/shougi and no knowledge the show tries to give me is going to stick or allow me to embrace that.
Through jumping back and forth between the anime and manga, I can say I have no caught up to where I will now watch March comes like a lion on a weekly basis.
The blood of the innocent will flow without end, mmmmmm this is why I love Inuyashiki
Mmmmmm the suffering of all those innocent people feeding his God boner, this is why I love Inuyashiki
Oh yeah, thats not a knock against it. Just noting they dont *need* much animation
Well, the nature of Mahoutsukai is slow-burned, so it makes sense they focus more on static, quiet moments
Was that blade 2022 thing supposed to be an example? Because I wasnt a fan. It was stylish sure, but difficult to follow.
Maho is a good looking show, I wouldnt call it a great animated show.
The issue for me is, theres just not alot being animated most of the time. Usually its a pretty slow moving anime, so most of its time is talking and still shots. It doesnt need alot of animation, so it doesnt have it.
@Niel, I think Mahoutsukai can have good animation when it wants to. Like the water viel in episode 10 looked good (Though im not sure how much of that was after effects)
uhhh creepy
the blood of the innocent will flow without end, mmmm this is why I love Inuyashiki so much
I think the security is the same as here, it's just that Japanese people are less likely to rip stuff (correct me if I am wrong). It seems like ripped anime, manga and so on are basically always uploaded by Americans, Chinese people or someone else.
I was surprised heavens feel was camripped I thought security in japanese theatres was stronger.
Yeah it's also screening in Germany, I will watch it in February, together with Heaven's Feel, Mutafukaz, Kimikoe and a few others.
*on Europa cinema
Nanoha new film to screen next February in the US, come in Europa license it for over here dammit....
Did have some down moments though.
And I guess contrasting Luke with his old self goes some way.
Saw the preview screening of the new star wars, still feel the new trilogy stands inbetween the originals and prequels, fufills its duty as a *** star blockbuster , some genuinely hilarious high camp moments, awful tokenism, Snoke is a shit villain, but two scenes with Luke actually have a pathos to them and I liked the chase/action scenes when they happened. Nobody cares about the acting/dialogue
But there are times when it goes way too far and you can barely make out what is even supposed to be happening. Or characters go so off model that they are unrecognizable. It can be immersion breaking. Much like uncanny CGI.
@Niel, I do agree that it's annoying to see people complain about animation when they clearly have no idea what they are talking about. Like those inbetween frame screenshot people. But I will say I appreciate on model characters more so than chaotic movement. When the off model stuff suits the tone of the scene like that blade runner part, then it's fine.
niel
I also don't want to see someone imply visual=animation for the hundredth time. Are people really that ignorant of the technical/artistic aspect of the media they consumed?
niel
It just depends on what works best in given scene and the aesthetic they want to go for. People can complain all they want about off-model stuff, but if they really only want that the they won't be getting nearly as much of those impactful scenes as there are now. So many of the ways people complain about it is really irking to me.
niel
normal/low action scenes is different from being on-model during the action sequences and just the ones that need some extra impact in general. https://youtu.be/rrZk9sSgRyQ?t=6m45s
niel
But that depends on the situation though. And I'd argue that being consistent and on-model during
@Vonter/Niello/Mario: Ideally I want it both ways, fluid animation AND consistent model visuals, all the while never sacrificing choreography.
But really, who am I to say. I'm the dude who prefer beautiful shot composition myself
The same can be said with Shinkai's movies since he always prefers static, beautiful shot that people tend to overlook that his animation is quite poorly handled
You're right, but art direction does alleviate limited animation, I mean the old Berserk anime, kinda has a lot of slideshow moments. MahoYome has nice backgrounds, and despite the samey faces, at the very least doesn't come from the same mold as other series. Still cutting corners with chibi segments is was a mistake.
SuperWooper
Is it any wonder that people prefer things to be static/on-model? They want to see characters who look consistent and familiar so they can relate to them.
Nie
MahoYome being the biggest offender of people getting triggered to any kind of statement about the show's animation not being good. And it's absurd because the show's animation really isn't great at all. It's good with distracting people with pretty pictures, but animation-wise it's still mediocre.
Nie
@SuperMario: Not much. Just stuff like "Art is part of the animation weather it's beautiful backgrounds or just amazing looking characters. It's not all about how they move. If it was, CG would be considered great animation" multiple times. I've just been finding myself being replied with these kinds of comment non-stop since the start of the season.
@Niello: What happened exactly, if you don't me asking?
Nielllo
If I hear someone says AMB has good animation one more tie I might actually lose it. It's amazing how people who apparently know nothing about it try to defend this and other people who don't know anything are actually supporting the guy.
Niello
So with Fate Apocrypha episode 22 out, I'm just now learning that people think webgen style is horrible and they prefer static scenes with pretty visual over actual quality animation. WTF. I can't comprehend this. Are casual people who watch animation in general really that oblivious to the art they have been watching?
Berserks Dynasty Warriors style game looked better. Also, Mahoutsukai should be up tonight/tomorrow. Turns out, Christmas is a busy time of year at this job.
*worse
Especially when you consider how good CGI can be by now, look at Houseki or Kado. But Berserk was the worst thing I saw in years, many scenes felt worst than sequences of PSX games
@SuperMario: Same. I love Kon and also consider Paprika's OST as the best. @Lenlo: Me too. I honestly even enjoyed the movies but the new series was atrocious
HIRASAWAAAA! HAAAAAI YOOOOO.
I miss the 90s Berserk.
I was also quite fond of his soundtracks for Berserk. AIIIIIYE FORCES : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkYYYew8CUI
@Amagi: I'm a big fan of Kon so I've watched everything from his. Even bought a book about his works. About the soundtrack, I listened to them as well but not regularly, compare to pprika OST which I downloaded and listen to a lot
Although not completely a manga, Usagi yojimbo also has an anthro character.
Millennium actress is partially inspired by the actress Setsuko Hara.
@Kaiser-Eoghan: The anthro-animal manga is even a topseller as far as I know. Haven't looked into it yet, though. Maybe I will do so.
Speaking of it, I am still hoping Dream Machine will happen some day. Kon died believing it would happen
@SuperMario: Have you tried the other Kon movies like Millennium Actress once? Thought they were really good and Hirasawa is responsible for the OST there too. Or Paranoia Agent which was (IMO) very good as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nttSKBJ38k (OP)
Niello
Eoghan: Enjoy... ;)
While I haven't read this, its very strange to see a manga about full anthro animal characters: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Beastars
@Vonter: So based on that I will try devil lady. Thanks.
@Vonter: That'd be me who made that post. I thought dororon enma-kun was wonderfully ridiculous and Devilman gorishly entertaining, Shin Mazinger Z was probably some of the most fun I had with an anime, but violence jack took it way too far though so I guess I'm aquainted with nagai's work
I don't remember who was looking for something noir in anime. I was looking among several series from Go Nagai. And watched some Devil Lady. I don't remember if noir is exclusively detective stories, but this anime, has those high contrast shadows, eerie music and is shot like some japanese horror movies I've seen. I don't know if it changes along the road but so far it's very suspenseful.
I only know him through his works in Berserk and Paprika but his music never fails to amaze me
@Amagi: Ghost Bridge is my favourite. I just find it very calming. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeh5aJsxlbw
Susumu Hirasawa is one of my favorite musicians/composers. I don't even know what kind of subgenre this is. There aren't any other music groups I know who do similar stuff
Nielllo
@Mario, Already saw that video before.
Check this out... I don't even know what the freaking instrument he's playing, but it's spellbound https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjalQjAomH0
Niello
Just when I thought Houseki no Kuni took the prize for best animation I was treated with Apocrypha. This week is amazing.
Niello
Big name animators all over. They really threw everything they've got here.
Niello
Woooooah! OMG Apocrypha ep 22 animation is sick! So that's why the animation in the first half of the show is so lackluster and basically just darn awful.
Its not entirely odd to bring up Heydrich in relation to the occult either, apparently he was said to be part of some whackjob order.
Hmmm, that girl from Dies irae, Anna Schwegln is aptly named, also shares her name with the last executed person for witchcraft, who was Bavarian German, which i'm told by an Austrian friend were particular right-est leaning politically.
Of course unfortunately its often the opposite that happens, nothing is worse than an ending that ruins everything.
Ah, how I love being surprised by something. That feeling where you''re watching something shakily held together, simply okay or good, then suddenly in the second half or last stretch your score of it goes massively up.
I can kind of understand the wanting to go home and watch something easy mentality instead of challenging but even though I'm guilty of escapism, I'm tired somewhat of "sillier" stuff, its often enjoyable but its get overly reptitive and I wish I could find more philosophical/political/imaginative things.
Yeah the show is great because of its theme, the setting and chemistry girls have as well as their (lack of) knowledge about basic human things. Each episode thematizes this in a different way but there isn't much you can talk or say about it when you already explained the topic in detail.
On the other hand, I don't have much to talk about Girls' Last Tour this week. It's still good, but with this episode I feel that I'm running out of concrete thig to say about the show
Haha both Houseki and 3-gatsu have a good showing this week. I have a lot of things to talk about Houseki in particular
This week's Houseki is jurassic park
*-ati - I think Netflix and so are at least giving a few new impulses which isn't too bad. I don't think the typical anime series will disappear because of that.
At least in comparisation
I think it's just sad how often I see wonderful series selling 500 BD/DVD or maybe even less. Most series don't sell more than 1500 or so and the rest is usually at ~3000-5000 which is still pretty low.
Yeah, it's one of my pro-Netflix arguments as well. Another problem is that anime (not counting manga) only make money through dvd/bd sales since they air at night, whereas Netflix or daytime tv series don't depend on the latter so much and since anime BDs are so expensive the only ones who buy them are the more extreme fans.
Might be in part due to the workaholic nature of their society that makes escapist fantasy and empty entertainment more appealing than usual. Ultimately these are the people anime is made for so opening up the markets gives more deserving shows a fighting chance.
Though that isn't to say that western taste is perfect either.
@Amagi, That's part of the reason I think some westernation might be a good thing as from what I seen the Japanese have truly terrible taste in anime. Sales charts from Japan just make me shake my head.
God, the preorder anime lists are atricious. The only one that seems to sell acceptable (around 6k) is Mahoyome. Series like Inuyashiki have 80 pre-orders so far, Shuumatsu Shoujo 977. Idol shows sell good of course, including that male/bishounen Idolmaster
@Anon, I read it but kinda fell out due to it's releases being slow.
@Anon: Actually if you check the manga recommendations section, you'll see there is a post about it here.
@Anon: Yes, it was interesting to follow a story that dealt with a characters homosexuallity that was outside of the yaoi/yuri mould.
Anonymous1620968
Out of curiosity, has anyone on here read Shimanami Tasogare?
Niello
Where are we up to with Inuyashiki?
Well alright then. Episode 9 out of 11 and that happens. Was not expecting that
Ooo something happen this week? Im about to watch it
It feels just as rushed and awkward in the manga.
I noticed this too
Inuyashiki has balls of steel to pull that in this particular episode number.
Nielllo
Finally got around to reading Helck, and it looks like it's going to go into that pile of good-shounen-that-won't-ever-get-animated right alongside Psyren.
@Aidan: Imagine trying to buy the dvds of the show in public.
@Aidan: Gentle remind that the prism ilya movie is out and subbed.
Still surprised the second and third seasons got dubbed.
@Angel, I replied to one of your comments before but the rundown is no official word yet but maybe next year.
Angel
Or no? Someone please tell me!!
Angel
Going to happen?
Angel
Is fate/kaleid liner prisma☆illya 3rei dub
I dislike it when manga bait me into reading due to the first chapter and end up being some very generic stuff afterwards. Nobody stays for B if he started something for A, authours should expect that.
Really, Juuni should stick with the 3D. That fight in ep 9 looked pretty good. 3D is clearly what they are good at
@Niello, It's not Chatango. It's a plugin for wordpress called Wisechat.
@Niello: yeah, Juuni caught me off guard this week. The production of Juuni is unfortunately shaky, but well, strong writing can save the day
Niello
Btw is this chat still Chatango?
Niello
This week episode of Juini is surprisingly good compared to how the show usually is with its backstory. Although the part where Ox tries to explain to Tiger could definitely use some visual buff.
SuperWooper
in the future*
SuperWooper
Pretty cool that Juuni Taisen had that kind of emotional heft this week, though. Might be one of the 2017 shows I sample the in the future.
SuperWooper
I think the occasional comments with an episode title and nothing more come from people who mistake the shoutbox for a search bar.
@Anon1614688: juuni taisen... made me tearing up this week. Honestly didn't expect that. Damn you, Tiger
juuni taisen
Had some complaints regarding Children of Whales but the latest two episodes were pretty good.
@Anon: You explained it better than me.
Kaiser: I actually have the exact same opinion of Natsume and Mushishi. Both are excellent, but Natsume just does a great job with a small core cast and a very simple premise
who likes naruto
Mushishi does have good stories, but it was always a manga I'd dip in and out of, on and off for years, never marathoning it, wheras Natsume was easier to read several chapters of in one go.
I think its because Natsume has more pathos.
*more than
Natsume weirdly ended up becoming this comfort manga for me with a higher consistency rate .
I will state that I hold the terrible opinion that I like Natsume Yujinchou than Mushishi but at the same time completely recognize that Mushishi is probably the more ambitious, better show.
Niello
So it becomes a cycle of "this is an interesting set up" (except that the new Kino isn't even good at that) and then they fucked up or Kino/Shizu fucked them up even more, then move on. Without the emphasis on philosophical nature of the set up they present like in the original Kino, there really isn't that much point to it.
Niello
With the new Kino it's more about messing people up, occassionally observing and hardly ever improving. The anwsers or solutions to the problem they present is never really talked about in a rational way.
@Anon1614318: maybe you should give the old Kino a try. What I don't like most about the new version of Kino is that both Kino and the new guy are sketched as hero. The old Kino manages the tone right as well. There were some really dark tales and most of them thought-provoking. Can't say the same for say...Country of Cooking
I don't know, it might be interesting to actually dig deep into the differences between episodic series with this kind of style to see what works and what doesn't.
I guess it's a matter of the chapter they chose to adapt were not really the better ones but the ones where the protagonist is more of an active role. Not totally against that, but it feels like the protagonist is just OP all the time. At least with Mushishi Ginko isn't able to save everyone all the time.
I guess it's supposed to be more allegorical, but most of the time the allegory is not really meaningful enough. I thought it would be more along the lines of Mushishi, which is kind of similar in setup, but better in most other ways.
What keeps me sticking around are some of the nice background arts and generally pleasant use of color, but admittedly most of the episodes aren't really engaging in a meaningful way. Most of the time its just Kino/Shizu show up, find out town's gimmick, then save the day. I prefer the episodes where the townspeople are more than just flat background characters.
It's interesting to see how this new Kino season is being received from folks who've already watched the original. This is my first real exposure to Kino, and I kind of like it, but even without watching the original, I share many of the same complaints Aidan and most of the others have.
I am also kinda sad he's just some 2* servant in fgo, but his power is special and he's physically weak, so it's understandable.
And again, Shakespeare is just great but the character is, sadly, kinda wasted here considering how much screentime he has.
@Aidan: Yes. Plus, maybe more characterization or background for some servants. The anime would have that time without Sieg and his romance sub plot.
@Amagi, Those being remove Sieg and more Shakespeare?

Inuyashiki – 10 [People of Tokyo]

This was a momentous week for Inuyashiki, with lots of highs and single glaring low. We had terrible CGI, an emotional confrontation between our leads and a fantastic payoff for Inuyashiki. Lets jump in! To start, lets get the big issue out of the way immediately, the PS2 era CGI. To quote reddit, the budget […]

Juuni Taisen – 11 [To Treat a Man to Beef From His Own Cow]

To the surprise of no one, Rat wins the race by breaking in the right place at the right time with the right weapon. This is by no mean a coincidence, because later on we learn about Rat’s real power: “Hundred Paths of Nezumi-chan”, in which he can see 100 various outcomes and thus picking […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 10 [We Live and Learn]

Welcome to week 10 of Mahoutsukai! Finally, oh so finally, we have are given some backstory on Elias! Our mysterious male(?) lead gets some explanation. We also get the start of a Chise only arc and finally some more information on Lindel. Lets jump in! As the main focus of this weeks episode, naturally I […]

Dies Irae – 09[A Mother’s Sins]

DIes Irae isn’t making this easy for the anime only watcher, as we get confused montages of Lisa’s backstory and oddly of a character whose relevance doesn’t come till a much later date. I would say it’s rather spoiler-ish if the info wasn’t presented in such a haphazard way that no one could really decode […]

Girls’ Last Tour – 10 [Train – Wavelength – Capture]

Girls’ Last Tour examines the concept of time and space this week, as the girls riding on a lonely moving train. The train design fits right in with this world: a long metal box that functions all by itself and contains many now-dysfunctional robots – corpses of the machines. Since last week we learnt that […]

Kino’s Journey -The Beautiful World- – 10[Kind Country]

Another remake of a story from the old series and while this one is adapted quite well, maybe even arguably better than the old version, it unfortunately lacks the same impact. The main problem comes back to the thing which ultimately holds back this season as a whole, story choice. For you see in the […]

Houseki no Kuni – 10 [Shiro]

This week proves to be the most action-packed episode Houseki has been offering so far and unconventionally, it’s Dia who takes the central stage at facing the most ridiculously overpowered Lunarian Titan to date. Well, I said “unconventionally”, but when the narration and the execution (the camera work, in particular) come together in such neat […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 22[Reunion and Farewell]

Breaking my usual routine today just to give an opinion on this episode but this episode made me feel compelled to get out my opinion. We have another action packed episode with three contestants out of the war and boy did they go out with a bang. Many will notice that the animation for this […]

Inuyashiki – 9 [Shihjuku People]

Welcome to another week of Inuyashiki! This week we have incredible sequences of terror, fearless Directors and death flags! Lets jump in. Obviously, the first thing we need to talk about this week is Hiro. A lot has happened in the few hours since Hiro attacked the Station. Interestingly, yet weirdly, Hiro has garnered a […]

The Reflection Review – 45/100