Posted by psgels on 27 November 2010 with categories: Autumn 2010 Kaleidoscope

Okay, perhaps last week would have been a better time for me to blog an episode of Index, but I did not know that that arc would just take up two measly episodes. And besides, this episode was pretty much was as interesting as it was terrible, which is pretty much what Index is all about.

So far, the second season of Index has been a huge mixed bag, but that’s part of its charms: the first arc was rather dull, the second arc was surprisingly good for being the lost chapters of Railgun (I really liked how they just cut the crap there and went straight to the point instead of dragging on). The current third arc is definitely enjoyable: it’s not the most ambitious arc, but it puts a lot of emphasis on the chemistry within the cast, which was quite enjoyable.

But really… there is fanservice, and there’s taking these dull romantic cliches way too far. How many times did Touma walk into a naked girl? How many times did his face get planted in someone’s bosom? Why did the creators suddenly introduced yet another random girl for Touma’s harem? It makes no sense, it feels lazy and it was completely pointless, making it seem like Touma can’t be friends with a girl unless he gets some romantic tension with her or something…

Either way though, this episode wasn’t a complete waste. I liked Touma in the rest of the episode, where there were a ton of different things that were going on. That’s how I like these sports festival episodes: we’ve seen them done to death by now, but this episode made well use of it to show some good antics. Another piece of criticism that I can give here is that the magical items in this show are starting to become mere McGuffins: especially in this episode, you could have replaced that Stab Sword with for example the “magical pizza of the annihilation of something very important”, and it wouldn’t have changed this episode in any way.
Rating: * (Good)

1. Azule says:

What did you think of last week? The previous two episodes seem to have sparked the feeling that people prefer Railgun to Index from the several forums and blogs i’ve looked over. I find it a little bit strange that you’ll watch Index but not Railgun, but that might just be me..seeing as I obviously think Railgun is ten times better than Index.

2. Solaris says:

Thank you very much for blogging an episode of Index in your weekly random episode pickup post.
    I know you missed various key-points here and there, so expect some essays very soon cause it will be a long lecture this time.

3. Murderface says:

The second arc wasn´t lost chapters of railgun, it was novel 8 from Index…

4. Solaris says:

First lecture: Chapter organization.
    Index stories are divided in chapters, each having an argument as a main theme. Chapters require from 2 episodes up to be told.
    Touma is usually the main char, but last time it was Kuroko.
    The main lead of the chapter usually drag his/her own life nicely at start, but at a certain time something happens.
    So starting episodes appear usually rather dull cause they focus on uninteresting or comedic antics. Fanservice is always stuffed in these episodes, and it usually is meant for lightening the mood, to mask dangerous events to come and let the audience relax a bit before the true start of the chapter.
    Now if you dislike fanservice it’s your own problem, but please refrain from calling this a fanservice show, as it’s not the case here.
    At some point an event occurs that changed the mood eventually.
    Last arc Kuroko was attacked by a powerful teleporter that spoke about Mikoto by chance.
    She ended in that situation cause of her normal work as a Judgement officer, following the lead of a normal theft. Eventually that occurrence dragged her in a risky business about the dark side of Academy City she’d never suspected ever happening.
    This time, during the normal execution in the sport festival with Touma being busy with his own harem (and this is told in a comedic way, as having an harem here is more than a drama for poor Touma, as opposed to a canon Harem show), he incidentally happened to shake hands with a beautiful foreigner girl who he bumped into by chance. This caused a reaction by his Imagine Breaker. This is the true start of the chapter.
    This episode cleverly adds informations without the audience even noticing them, while it distracted them with boobs. Yes: You look at the boobs and don’t even notice trouble approaching by the appearence of a beautiful blonde girl.
    This is how Index really is. A subtle game about situations…

5. Solaris says:

Addendum:
    Watch out calling Stab Word like that. Nothing is what it’s like at start, and Stab Sword is no exception…

6. Murderface says:

Yep…there are some pretty neat plot twists regarding the Stab Sword…

7. Ransom says:

Aisa Himegami said so: Touma’s life is like a dating sim where he is continually unlock more paths to more girls… With the exception that he only gets misfortune out of it XD

8. Dthiswhtuseek says:

But then again, really, the cleavage of that committee member girl, sorry can’t remember her name at the moment, is just inexcusable, they were ridiculous even by the overly-endowed-in-anime standards.

9. psgels psgels says:

Azule: my view of Railgun is that I fail to see the point of it. I liked the previous arc, but to watch an entire series built around nothing but that is just too much. Index instead builds a ton of things around them, and they’re just a small part of something really large, while Railgun mostly felt like a waste of time to me.

Solaris: my main problem is that this second season has been a little too full of those fanservice moments, though this episode was indeed the worst in that regard. It’s the fact that it uses these fanservice cliches that have been done to death by now over and over that I don’t like. If it did it once or twice I wouldn’t mind, but that comittee member in this episode or that panty-scene with Index were just completely pointless and unneccesary.

10. Solaris says:

Psgels: Just bear with it. It’s a real pity to take down this show for some pointless fanservice scenes.
    It’s just like Letter Bees panty bond between Lag and NIchi. I recall people angry about that little joke they wanted to quit it.
    It would have been a real mistake, as it’s a big mistake to think Index is just another stupid harem fanservice show. Believe me.

11. Spike says:

The festival arc lends itself to fanservice because you have basically ALL the main characters interacting with each other when they normally wouldn’t. Some of the scenes with index and mikoto interacting are gold.

And when psgels says he’s glad they cut ‘the crap’ and got straight to the action I think he’s not appreciating the world building. novels like index and denetsu no densutsu want to immerse you in the world they are building. It’s like reading lord of the rings and not caring a bit about Middle-Earth.

12. psgels psgels says:

Spike: I can actually enjoy world building quite a bit. My problem is when series put everything behind this world building, to the point where the building up becomes boring and uninteresting to watch. The biggest reason for this is that I’ve become a bit tired of series that spend so much time building up, only to not use the things they built up for.

13. akani says:

Don’t worry, the Stab Sword isn’t what it looks like. This is the last time in Index that there will be a crisis involving a magical artifact this season (unless you count the arc after this, but I wouldn’t really view it as an “artifact”…)

The rest of Index will be epic, especially the end. The season is focusing on tensions building between the magic and the science side, and take note of the word “war” used in this episode.

And I totally agree on your viewpoint of Railgun. It’s a waste of time and Mikoto is an annoying character. There are some important details here and there but they’re not enough to watch 24 episodes of Mikoto acting cute and stubbornly rushing into situations without regards to her surroundings.

I’d recommend you check out the Index light novels, since the anime glosses over important details and cut great parts out when the light novel fully explores the history and details behind the setting of Index and it doesn’t rush things like the anime does.

14. Tsuki says:

The thing with the “world building” is that I think it doesn’t translate well from light novel to anime. I’ve read the light novels, and I can say for sure that the world the author built is intricate and pretty well thought out, but the big issue here is when it’s turned into an anime.

The sheer amount of explanation needed to properly flesh out the significance of certain key details (sometimes small, but important) would make this anime very dialogue heavy if everything was fully explained.

I guess, in the end, the issue at heart is how to balance the right amount of exposition in an anime.

15. Frost says:

Index is one of those animes that makes me shake my head in disappointment… The setting had so much potential and they just throw it down the toilet with stupid cliches and annoying characters

Reason why I dropped the first season halfway and dont plan on watching this

16. Spike says:

totally agree with Tsuki, the anime amps up the action but the novels play up tension and connecting the dots. A lot of the ‘magic’ pardon the pun, is lost in the transition to tv.

Railgun series is pure fanservice. They turned ir into a generic high/middle school show. The railgun manga has some great arcs too though so there’s hope for a strong second series (which is definitely coming)

17. Nightyy says:

Most of your criticisms towards Index in general are valid, but I find it misperceived that you are most quick to just label the new girl as another harem addition when all her scenes thus far with Touma, while fanservicy in nature, has been less than romantic or implies so.

18. Solaris says:

Tsuki said it right: Index needs a lot of exposition to build up good. And they did put exposition in the first serie.
    But, alas, exposition was the reason people disliked it, and appreciated lighteharthed Railgun more.
    Put into JCstaff shoes now: Given these signlas how’d you translate Index now?
    Just axe down exposition and hilight commedy, and keep fanservice for god’s sake.
    All of JCstaff recent anime were just fanservice crap. Look at Ookamisan, the first experiment on what do people look anime for: Just give them likeable thin paper char and a bit of fanservice and they’re happy.
    Why even to bother with such a difficult setting like thet of Index? Axe it, and give them boobs and explosions. That’ll make it.

Of course i’m not happy with it, but at least i’m happy they’re keeping it right close to the novel happenings. That is something good to begin with.

19. Solaris says:

2) Is it Harem?
    Index novels use the damesel in distress cliche to put Touma into action. Touma is rather passive element on his own. He’d rather live his plesant life as a student than fighting magic wars on top of it.
    But, as he’s got a great sense for justice he’d fight for good without rest and that’s where the damesel in distress triggers the change of mood for Touma to resolve to fight!
    Can’t say more cause i’d spoil but Boob girl and Himegami are there for a reason other than being object of pointless fanservice.
    Of course, given the good hint for harem, why not to play a bit with it?
    How many novels are there up now? 10? It means a little squadron of girls who have feelings for Touma saving their lives.
    This was hinted several times in Index: In the 3rd arc, the sister, Touma brings home Misaka Imouto and Both Himegami and Index complain about him hanging out with yet another girl other than them.
    Touma’s Harem is something unwanted and reflects a bit of Touma proverbial “Fuko-da”, simply meaning more trouble for his wannabe quiet ordinary ulucky student life.
    Eh, you know, women are such a hassle, but how to live without them? ;)
    So fanservice or not, that is just a play and it’s unrelated to the main theme of Index, that is war between Magic and Science. It’s not a mistery why fanservice and commedy are just packed at start, as an unrelated prologue to each novel events.
    It’s like keeping a light mood just before the storm arrives.

20. Solaris says:

3) Themed Novels
    Every novel, or arc if you like, keeps a theme used for building up Index-universe.
    Novels usually are about one of the two magic sides, and explain some keypoint.
    Let aside the first novel that introduced the whole universe, we’d been introduced to Aleister Crowley plans in the second novel, the dirty face of Academy City in the third, What’s Angel Power and Idol theory in the fourth, The weird experiments of Academy city and the embodyment of esp power with the sixt. The fifth novel looks unrelated but an old villain got promoted to hero, and you’ll see more of his doing. With the new serie, most of the building up was done and the seventh novel, the nun arc teach you about the power balance between magic factions, with Touma undirectly involved. The last arc, kuroko’s little adventure teach you about esp-powers, where they come from and what they are for. This comes from Kuroko confronting herself with a much powerful teleporter, that is afraid of her own power and thinks power are evil, blaming all of her evildoing to them. This arc was awesome indeed and i would like to write more about it later.
    Thus said, Index is something like a big puzzle and you’re told it piece by piece, and every arc uravels one piece that fits perfectly into the big plan of Aleister.
    I am aware they can’t do 1:1 perfect job adapting it to an anime, which is a media that’s mad up more for action than for connecting strings in some njn linear storytelling, but i hate how everything must be thrashed cause of minsurderstanding this for plain crap fanservice.

21. Unentschieden says:

While there are apparently boatloads of random magical mcguffins in Index they actually DO come up again in the novels. You couldn´t just replace the Stab sword or even the book of the law – if the anime gets that far…

Customize
Yeah, Kenshin had a whole Kyoto act, but it was more historical anw and I feel it didn't explore the city that much (more of a ruined city)
Really, only uchoten Kazoku, tatami galaxy and durarara come to mind. Are you planning to go to Osaka as well? I heard from my friend Osaka is about an hour drive from Kyoto only.
@Anon174851 Ah good one.
@Mike Thanks. Durarara is a good suggestion, but I haven't watched Rurouni Kenshin.
Mike
@Kaiser Sure, the story doesn't do anything for me but it's not a waste of time.
@K-Off You can do pretty much anything in Tokyo I'll bet. Anime in general aside from shows like Durarara don't emphasize the setting very much... Kyoto is more interesting, rurouni kenshin is the first thing that comes to mind.
uchouten kazoku is a really good one set in kyoto!
Haven't heard of it. Anyways, do you guys have any suggestions for favorite anime series set in Kyoto or Tokyo? I'm planning my itinerary and the idea is to take a lot of side by side comparison pictures from their anime depictions to RL. I have YuruYuri, SYD, Detective Conan, and various KyoAni spots in mind, but my brain isn't remembering others.
I'm considering finding some War/military manga to read, has anyone read Gunka no balthazar? Is it worthwhile?
@Anon164960, They announced a second season for it so they ain't done with that trainwreck yet.
Gate
So Rewrite took the "Bad End" route. Interesting. Their choice, not the show of course which was a freaking mess from start to finish.
Ah, reminding me that I have not left Ireland since 2012 when I went to Rome. Although I have floated around the idea of maybe going to Slovakia.
@Mario Thanks, although I'll be working the whole time I'm at Seoul with sundays off. Expecting about 40-50 hours of work a week. Sucks that your trip got canned, in the Winter there's no place you'd want to be other than southern California.
Congrats K-Off. Hope you enjoy the trip. I myself originally planned to go to US on this December but now the plan got wrecked. Should be fun spending Xmas in Japan especially
Got my international drivers permit from AAA today, and it also looks like I'm stuck with over half the travel fees since I've signed myself off the agency plan. It's now official, I'm going to Seoul and then spending my christmas holidays in Tokyo. Been a long time since I left the country, last time was in 2011.
That was me Mario
@Masky: it wasn't, but Gui Niao did mention the pipe has multi-purpose functions: do far he uses the pipe to write, to create a hallucination smoke, to make an actual bushfire, to open the lock, now to be a sword-pipe. What's next? To be a wifi modem? to be a boomerang? to shapeshift into an umbrella?
So Thunderbolts Fantasy :D Totally called the pipe being a sword (assuming it wasn't shown earlier and I just forgot about it)
@Anon146321, typos are hard to avoid when you write fast. What's really important to is that the point gets across, which it did.
Medium not meduim
I wonder if trolls consider people explaining why their trolling is bad a successful trolling .-. I mean, my experience is that most of trolls aren't really smartest or most creative of people, I think most of them are happy if people just talk about them.
@Anon141285, oh come on boy. Put some effort into trolling. You need to get people to actual think you believe what you are saying. Here you have already messed up because you use the old "Chinese cartoons" which is supposed to piss of anime fans because it suggests you are ignorant of the meduim but then you reference the nukes showing full well you know where they are from. You have failed.
Chinese cartoons proof that two nukes weren't enough. Or were too much depending on the perspective
oh, talking about teenage horror female movie, make sure to check out Raw whenever its available online. That is one hell of a fun cannibal ride!
my point is we tend to spend our stupid 20s phase feel like its wasted, but really it does help develop our hobby/sense/wisdom, whatever it is.
I find myself now that I've grown up wanting to punch kid characters from horror films lol
About the watching stories with younger female characters...its starting to feel like I shouldn't be or that it doesn't feel appropriate, actually sort of awkward/skeevy.
True enough. But remember that even Quentin Tarantino had his 20s basically just a movie-clerk, watched movies like a maniac and he made that classic Pulp Fiction when he was like 33
Looking back It feels dickish that I laughed reading NHK.
I mean look at Re-life, I mean ow, everyone went through that.
I think we'll find that stage where we'll get irritated by stories reminding us of our stupid 20s phases eventually just as some teenage focused anime/manga annoyingly remind us of being teens.
In terms of anime/manga, much as I'd still see myself liking NHK I could see myself getting more frustrated with the lead character now being in my early 30s.
In the past year I've been looking at hentai/ecchi imageboards not as often as I used to.
Judy Delphy and Juliette Binoche have aged surprisingly well...
Ah its less fancying/finding them attractive, moreso taking notice of them.
I can understand the others but Meryl Streep too? Man, you're aging I can tell
@Mario: Julianne Moore, Isabelle Huppert, Meryl Sreep, Susan Sarandon, Cate Blanchett.
@Kaiser: like whom if I may ask?
But I'm always interested in women issues myself so Mustang just hit me hard
Its a sign of me aging I guess too. I'm noticing older actresses too now where I wouldn't have in the past.
Looking forward to Under the Shadow too, also really keen to see how The Bad Batch would turn out to be
Strangely I've become more engaged with teen, coming-of-age films recently (well, Aku no Hana is sort of teen drama as well),but yes, old man's psyche is my thing too
@Mario: Synecdoche, the passenger, winter light, anomalisa , wild strawberries , la notte for example.
@Mario: The day is coming where drama centred around twentyboppers won't have the same level of effect on me. Had I seen buffalo 66 5 years ago I would have been all over it. Old man/middle age angst is becoming more my thing.
@Mario: I'm honestly having a harder time getting into films that focus on young girls/teenagers.
@Mario: Theres only a few upcoming films left I'm looking forward to, Elle, Valley violence, whispering star and under the shadow.
@Mario: I appreciate mustang for the issue it deals with and addresses but I felt it predictable and the drama didn't hit harshly enough. It feels like an academy/oscars film.
Kaiser: remember I mention about watching those 96 Cannes line-ups? I think I will get to watch them soon, since I downloaded all the movies already
@Kaiser: btw, you hated Mustang? It's also one of my favorite film so far.
but maybe think of it that way will make the manga more entertaining...
You see Aku no Hana as a dark comedy? haha I'm speechless
Like you Mario I don't care for heavy infodumping and that took me out of the new world.
Bebop had that problem for me in that I saw outlaw star and trigun first.
I still feel aku no hana is a guilty pleasure manga, a crazy dark comedy or maybe thats just my humour.
Hataraku had me laughing up to episode 7, while Amagi felt stale from the start.
Looking back on Baccano I still like Claire and Russo but the other characters not so much, the main series is enjoyable enough but the extra episodes hold back the score.
I've never watched Habane straight through although I have finished the series. Ghost vs ergo? Ergos final episode wrecked the show.
I thing Hataraku was a lot more consistent, but Amagi had some standout episodes. For me the OVA, the pirate ship episode and the school episode were great. "Simply put, we have to go lewder" is one of my fav quotes
How was that by the way? I never bothered to watch Amagi Brilliant Park all the way through because I felt so cynical about it after the first two episodes. Hataraku Mao Sama on the other hand was genuinely refreshing for the first half of the season.
In other news, The Eccentric Family is getting 2nd season. Now I'm filled with joy
Still feel bad to compare an 1-cour series (Baccano) to an 4-cours one. But in this case Baccano would take my cake.
I reckon The Devil is a Part Timer vs Amagi Brilliant Park would be a fun one, and I wouldn't know which would win.
Baccano vs Durarara might make a good matchup. Baccano is the better one but Durarara does seem to be more popular.
Syndrome
Yeah it is a bit obvious and they dont share much in common anyway. Just that they are two of the most well known anime out there. I enjoyed NGE more than Cowboy Bebop, but I agree on the later beeing overall a better anime.
Oh look. Berserks Manga is on Haitus again. Muira...just..at this point I ain't even mad. Just disappointed.
Well, new post on Flowers of Evil is out. Come eat it up.
@Syndrome: was thinking about that match-up (NGE vs Cowboy Bebop) but isn't it too obvious? I always intend to pick something that caught you guys off-guard haha
@Syndrome, no contest. Cowboy Bebop wins outright.
Syndrome
On a serious note, for related anime, I would be curious about something like Ergo Proxy against Ghost in the Shell
Syndrome
Go for NGE vs Cowboy Bebop and watch the world burn
Yeah, I agree it's one of the main factors, but even so From the New World had a higher grade too. But I wouldn't pick Haibane Renmei against From the New World if I didn't think it had a chance to win. Those who loved the former really loved it, while people more appreciate From the New World than actually love it. Well, can't beat the consensus I guess.
I'd say a major reason for that would be the popularity difference. On MAL, Haibane has a following of 110k people, with FTNW having 270k.
I'm personally quite disappointed with the results. Will try harder for a more competitive match-up next time
@Mario, if you say so. I say by now the victor has been decided.
@Aidan: we don't need to sticky the Versus Show again, as I will put up the Aku no Hana post tomorrow anyway
Yeah the brightness got a bit much in some places after episode 18.
I thought the brightness was done well in the episode with Rem sitting beside Subaru's bed and her smiling/crying, but yeah this was too much
@anon125687: my thought exactly. While I was watching it I thought to myself that it's too bright!!
Why do final episodes overdo the blur effect and fuzzy lighting its literally over dramatic cancer. Just let it end normally ffs
afgm
Well, it's hard, since it doesn't really feel finished, so even if you know it will eventually end well if given a chance, you can't really put your full confidence behind those bets
Got a bit long winded in that review and yet I feel like I really didn't get across what makes the series so good.
Well that's the Re:Zero review written up. I will get to work on 91 days next and maybe Prisms Illya maybe after that. Lost all entuasim after they messed up that last episode in Illya. Overall it's been pretty disappointing.
As for that twist. I think they could work it easily into a first episode. The impact would still be there for people marathoning the thing in the future and it would be a good "Oh Shit!" moment to start the second season. If they jump ahead a bit to a certain moment it would actually make for a great opener.
I say the only chance of season two not coming would be if White Fox doesn't like money. Considering that the pace which the light novel adaption has sped up from every few months to a release every month I guess that they want to make that second season as badly as we want it. At this pace they could start a second season in maybe a years time. Maybe every half a year depending on cour length.
Syndrome
Also, if season 2 ever come (that would be a surprise if not, and truly annoying), I dont know how they will manage with the "twist", as something this impactful would come way too fast without any kind of setup. Wait and see, I guess.
Syndrome
After seeing the last Re:Zero I couldnt help but spoil myself, and I kind of understand why WhiteFox went with that kind of ending, skipping what would be a giant shtstorm on the internet. Even though, in a sad world where there would be no season 2, Im still a bit disappointed with the ending. Its nice to wrap it up this way but its a stale regarding the plot and there is no food for thought.
@aidan: you sure are fast when it comes to Re:Zero haha. Alrighty, we'll go with that then
@mario,I am putting up a Re:Zero post. Tommarrow. I will unsticky it for a day and then we can sticky it again.
reaLjustified
@K-Off No worries, it's so messed up. Stay safe.
@Aidan: if you going to post Re:Zero review soon, you can unsticky the Versus Show post, otherwise I will take it down in 2 days
@K-Off: I feel for ya. Glad that there were only minor injuries. I heard a blogger claimed that he did it because of the gay rights. Sound bullsh*t to me
Shit ton of manga have gotten updates but I don't feel like talking about them for a while, lost my appetite.
@Kaiser Living in NYC all my life I remember 9/11, flight 587 crash in Queens, the Hudson River water landing, and now this.
So far it seems most of the people calling it disappointing are those who know whats comes after that last scene and were looking forward to how the fanbase reacts to it. But it would have been a pretty terrible as well as evil way to end the series.
Yeah, I thought it gave enough closure for us to be satisfied yet still desperately wanting the next season.
@Anon120947, I really don't see what's so disappointing about it. I thought it was a pretty solid way to end the series.
I think at most the worst thing that happened in my area was two conmen going around and an gangster attack on a nearby hotel.
@K-off: Honestly, glad to hear you're safe. And having a bomb go off nearby would make me feel paranoid.
@Anon: I'm waiting, waiting for reviews written after the show ends.
Anonymous120947
Feels like it has been done this way in case of a never happening season 2... to kind of close it.
Anonymous120947
Wow, that last episode of Re:Zero was pure straight disapointment... finishing like this feels is real suffering.
Well, we don't know yet. We don't know who did it, if it was connected to the pipe bomb explosion in jersey, etc. But the second device found on 27th street does seem to point the situation towards terrorism.
afgm
Luckily it doesn't seem to be a terror attack
Yeah. I was a good 8 blocks away inside a restaurant so I didn't even know until later. It must have been a pretty small bomb since all the injured have apparently already been released from the hospital.
Damn. Just looked it up. Good thing you weren't at the area when the bomb went off.
Fucking hell, transit is so congested I still can't get home. Luckily it seems like there's no fatalities according to the initial reports, there are still a shit ton of people around central for shelter. I didn't hear or feel the explosion at chelsea, and currently I'm at lenox with my bicycle. So congested it looks like I'm going to have to walk my bike a few more miles before I get picked up. L
Watched The Empire of Corpses. I makes me sad to see a great idea be turned into such a mediocre movie. I think this concept could have been put to much better use but instead it decided to go with the blandest option.
The guy who will direct it is a live-action director who only had Psycho Pass the Movie (not a good one) as an anime director. WTH? Don't know what to think about this new FLCL now
and it will be co-produced by Adult Swim on top of that?
How comes I just noticed this old news that FLCL will get two-seasons sequel...
And by that I mean "Huh, haven't checked the blog for two days"
Yay commenting on two days old blog posts
Finished rewatching Re:Zero and now ready for the finale. Let's see how this goes.
I will be mourning the now dead hope of a somewhat decent Berserk adaption.
The last few episodes were not bad but purely on the merits of the source material and not the adaption.
@Bam: I'll be mourning indeed.
@Anon 112098: I haven't watched Chef, but it has more to do with me not interested in chef's life whatsoever. Is it good?
Bam
I'm out of town until Sunday evening. The Berserk finale post will hopefully be up early Monday mourning, followed by the overall cour review a bit later in the week.
Anonymous112098
Habe u seen Chef with John Favreau?
I am quite upset with how Sliver link handled that scene. It was the one scene I wanted done right. Just that one scene...and they screwed it up.
He scored the Prince of Egypt? I didn't know that, but yeah I remember it had a great score. Also "When you believe"
Well, a lot of his earlier work is just brilliant. Prince of Egypt in my opinion is his greatest work.
*nothing wrong
Well, Hans Zimmer could do nothing really; but that's a reason why I have a bit of problem with his scores. Everything he made are solid but ultimately sound the same to me.
Agree that the music has been excellent. Not only the soundtrack thou, but the sound editting in general is great (that ringtone during the Great Whale for example).
@Mario, Understandable. As much as I love this show, I admit that it has elements I am sure could turn off people.
Also I really should have talked about the music in this series more. It really is a phenomenal soundtrack. I hear they were going with a more cinematic approach to it with Hans Zimmer being a primary inspiration.
@Aidan: it has been a fun ride, I'm glad I stick with it till the end; although I'm not as enthusiastic about it as you are. :)
Re-watching Re:Zero in preparation for the finale. Still is awesome a second time through. In fact the middle part of the series I felt dragged fairs a whole lot better when marathoned though. Noticing a number of things watching the second time. For one Roswell has a really goddamn annoying way of talking. I say I will be giving this on a very favorable review.
Hugh Mungus
@TopGavin, I haven't watched it yet but I hope what you said about the animation isn't too bad because this is where they need to be on top of their game.
So that fate episode was interesting, lotsa stuff happened. Seemed like the animation was worse than usual and my god how could the subs screw up the incantation.
reaLjustified
@Aramus Why would you want to send the picture to your friend? Tell 'em to see it for themselves at the site! lol.
Friend
Most of the time they meant no harm, I think it's always about getting recognition. They quickly take them down after I send them a polite email, and I let them save their ego without smearing them on their page.
afgm
(ok maybe a little fault should go to them lol)
afgm
@Friend: That sucks, but its definitely understandable. People can be pretty thoughtless at times (no fault to them of course).
afgm
tiger mask did make it into the upper quartile though, which is surprising
Friend
@afgm I don't have a large internet presence with my work exactly because I've had situations with theft on Pinterest. For work, I just carry USBs with my portfolio pieces in them :/
Friend
@Aramus Heya, thanks for the inquiry. Unfortunately the fell image won't be available openly unless for commercial purposes, but otherwise feel free to contact me in my business email! :)
afgm
ah you know what? I read the title Time Bokan 24 and thought it had 24 votes x)
@afgm: Time Bokan receives 0 vote the last time I checked it. I'm more surprised that people love Haikyuu that much
Such a shame because I enjoy writing it a lot
2 more episodes on Thunderbolt Fantasy and I might break the sites' record (hall of shame really) for covering a show without any comment, haha.
afgm
Also what is Time Bokan and why does it have more votes than 95% of the other anime in the poll haha
afgm
well it's always iffy giving out images without the creator knowing. You can never know where its going to end up. I strongly suggest you contact Friend.
aramus1
@Afgm Sorry, I was the anon. The weird username thing is bugging out. And was going to send it to a friend, did she not want it out there?
afgm
@anon: you better not be thinking about refistributing the image without her consent. youre better off contacting her on her homepage...
@Anon108797, In the comments he mentions that it's an April Fools joke. So there is hope for humanity yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bBa44-FIqk Why does this even exist
Can't believe I still haven't read Dragon head or the world is mine yet...I need to fix that.
@afgm Awesome! Is there any way to get the source image though, her portfolio doesn't have it unfortunately.
afgm
the footer has the source. it was made special by her
Aramus
Yo, can anyone give a source on the new wallpaper thing? it looks awesome!
@Mari, no problem. Thanks for for the thanks.
I argee that the fall looks to be pretty weak but it's hard to tell until the season really starts. I have been blindsided by series before.
MariShandy
AidanAK47 and those who helped you, thank you for the season preview. Time to pick the series that I will follow. You make this much easier for me!
#nochin
it reminds me of Durara
afgm
Well Occultic;Nine does have pretty good promotional material, too, and the concept is pretty cool.
I think the majority of our readers are Steins;gate fans seeing as Occultic;Nine is currently in the lead on the poll.

fate-kaleid-liner-prisma-illya-3rei-11-12-2

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei – 11-12

I will be the first to admit that this season of this series disappointed me. I still stand by my word on this being better than previous seasons of the show but watching it fold out in animation has made me begin to think I was overstating just how good it really was. Though part […]

mob-psycho-100-11-4

Mob Psycho 100 – 11

Looks like I need to eat my own words as it turns out Reigan isn’t the organization’s leader but he managed to convince the guards that he was. This was definitely Reigans finest moment as he makes use of pure deception to catch everyone off guard. He has absolutely no idea what exactly is going […]

91-days-10-4

91 Days – 10

As we near the end of 91 Days I have taken this time to really think over what this show has presented so far and I admit to be somewhat disappointed. Ultimately the ride has been solid and Studio Shuka have delivered on their promise of making a Mafia drama. However I cannot help but […]

orange 11a

orange – 12

For the first time orange manages to do something different narratively. The first half of this week’s episode tells the original timeline in Kakeru’s point of view, and with that we can understand more clearly about his emotional progress, at the same time gives us much more details about his Mom. In the original timeline, […]

[HorribleSubs] Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 18 [480p].mkv_002253.373

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World – 91/100

re-zero-kara-hajimeru-isekai-seikatsu-25-3

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World – 25

Well it’s over and what a ride it was. Betelgeuse is defeated, everyone is saved and Subaru gets to confess his love to Emilia to leave the series off on a hopeful note. Only thing that would have made it better is more Rem but let us be frank, there is never enough Rem. I […]

Thunderbolt Fantasy 11c

Thunderbolt Fantasy – 11

This week things escalated pretty quickly. Our helpless MC Shang Bu Huan shots himself in the foot pretty quickly. I already suspected it’s a matter of time before his scam will be exploited by Mie Tian Hai, but I surely never would have guessed it’s that early. Shang Bu Huan, hilariously, is just plain terrible […]

mob-psycho-100-10-2

Mob Psycho 100 – 10

Plenty of action this week as Mob, Terumi and Dimple take on the major members of claw. As far as what happen this episode feels a lot like your standard fare for a shounen anime series. The main group infiltrating an enemy base, split up and encounter the enemies in one on one style battles. […]

orange 11c

orange – 11

Well, this episode is one the most emotionally wrenching orange has put up so far and for me at least this dramatic turn of event is what this show does best. Kakeru’s issue is a fundamental one. So far, the group succeeds in helping him to open up more and enjoying himself bit by bit, […]

[HorribleSubs] Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 18 [480p].mkv_002253.373