Posted by psgels on 7 December 2010 with categories: Top 10 Anime, Yearly Summaries

For my 2010 Summary, I’ve been planning four posts: three small ones and one big one. Here’s the fist small one, the rest will come at the end of this month.

2010 saw an intereting trend for OPs and EDs: there were a lot of well produced ones with very detailed animation and that went beyond simply showing a bunch of characters in cheesy poses. For me, a good OP is original, has a great song, and has something with which it captures my attention. Likewise, I consider an ED a great one when it can retain my attention even when the episode it closes off is already finished.

#20: High School of the Dead OP

Anyone familiar to a series directed by Tetsuro Araki know that the OPs for these series can get really hardcore. HSotD’s OP is rather tame (excluding the fanservice of course) compared to Death Note and Kurozuka, but it’s still a very stylish intro for this series. It pretty much summarizes all that you are going to get: slick visuals and lots of guns, zombies and boobs, The colour scheme in this one also rocks.

#19: Arakawa Under the Bridge OP 2

I did not watch this series, so I don’t know its context or for how many episodes it appeared. I still wanted to include this in this list though, because I love these gimmicky OPs that are based on some weird theme other than “let’s introduce the characters here”. I love the weird goats and other animals, plus the melody itself is ridiculously catchy. I don’t like Arakawa as a series, but I have to admit that it has the most impressive array of OPs and EDs of the year (yes, that’s a hint).

#18: Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru OP

Shaft’s strategy for Autumn 2010: hire some really good directors and spend a lot of money on your OPs. As a result, Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru had its OP directed by Yaomi Umetsu (Robot Carnival’s Presence, Mezzo). This one is fairly low on this list because I don’t like the music and the vocals half of the time, but the animation and the choreography really is gorgeous. The entire OP just screams the themes of old fashioned cafeterias.

#17: Arakawa Under the Bridge X Bridge ED

Arakawa Under the Bridge X Bridge’s second ED in contrast is as simple as you can get, yet it’s far from cheap and uninspired. The characters are in no way stylish and instead drawn really roughly, but that does have its charms. The song is simple yet catchy and easy to listen to and overall it’s a great way to end an episode with.

#16: Yojou-han Shinwa Taikei ED

Overall, 2010 was a year of ambitious, complex, well animated and well detailed OPs, but I still do have a number of simple ones that made this list. The biggest reason why I love this ED is because it ties in so well with the general messages and themes of this series. I refuse to spoil in what way it does so, however. Apart from that, it’s a captivating song, especially in the way in which each episode ends with a bang, this ED always managed to retain my utmost attention with this series.

#15: Kaidan Restaurant ED

This one is on this list for the cool factor. I mean, it has the announcer of the series, who usually acts like this perfect butler dancing his legs off in some disco. On top of that, the song is that rare kind that just got catchier and catchier every time I listened to it. I mean, kids’ shows usually have these sickeningly catchy or generic opening tunes, but this one actually rocks. In many different ways.

#14: Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru ED

Yes, yes. I know that Shaft is currently dominating the lower half of this Top list. I promise, after this one I only have one OP by them left. I just have to admit here: they came with another great song here. The main reason why this isn’t higher on the list is because the voice actress of the lead character is trying too hard at times with her random yells. Apart from that, even the fact that half of the cast can’t sing will make sense once you watch the episode that explains this ED, tying it very neatly in with the rest of the series. The animation here is again quite detailed, especially for Shaft’s standards, and yet things remain simple and effective.

#13: Senkou no Night Raid OP

This probably has to be the most minimalistic OP since Ghost Hunt, and yet it’s very artistic with the different numbers, letters and transitions. It’s another great example of an OP that is very simple, yet very effective, and it always was interesting to watch this OP in front of every episode. I especially like the shots in which the lead character appears.

#12: Shinrei Tantei Yakumo OP

This does have some of the elements that make an OP boring and generic (people slowly walking/looking into a random direction, a slide-show of the major characters), but it’s got enough to make up for that. It’s especially the song itself, composed by R.O.N. The autotune creates this dark atmosphere, and I especially like how well this entire song builds up to the final third part.

#11: Gag Manga Biyori ED

For those who haven’t watched the series: Gag Manga Biyori has also had these… unique EDs (just click here for a little medley), but with every season they actually became even weirder. And really, it’s so hard not to love these EDs, I’m always imagining what it must have been like to record these things: for one guy to just continue singing the same tune with all kinds of silly voices (and mind you, every single episode has a different ED, which totals up to 52 different “lalalalalala”s so far). Not to mention that they probably needed to do a few retakes for every iteration…Gag Manga Biyori has been going on for four series now, and they still have some of the most unique EDs out there.

#10: Giant Killing ED

Giant Killing loved cliff-hangers. In fact, it had some of the most aggravating cliff-hangers of the year. This ED was just absolutely perfect for carrying on the adrenaline of these cliff-hangers with its incredibly fast-paced beat, and ridiculously energetic chorus. The entire ED is focused on those details that also made Giant Killing great, in this case the supporters. The pictures are vague on purpose, and it really feels like a little trip to an adrenaline filled soccer match.

#9: Full Metal Alchemist OP 4

Full Metal Alchemist, if I’m not mistaken, has been running over the course of a total of nine different seasons, resulting in a total of eighteen OPs and EDs. Out of all of those, this one ended up as my favourite. It has the best melody, the singer is pretty good as well, and there is hardly any boring moment in the song as it’s constantly building up. The animation looks as gorgeous as it did in the series. There is plenty of symbolism towards the series that at the same time doesn’t try to shove its messages down the viewer’s throat. It always was a wonderful way to start out this series with this OP.

#8: Kuragehime OP

Granted, the song itself has some weak moments, especially near the beginning when it has trouble to get started, but I still just love this ED for all of the references it put in to famous western movies, and when the song gets started it really brings this animation together. Mary Poppins, ET, Singing in the Rain, James Bond, Star Wars, and that only includes half of the different homages here. It’s a great little music video. That ends up relating a surprising amount to what actually goes on in the series.

#7: Shiki ED 2

Buck-Tick are some amazing artists, so I’m really glad that Daume got them to perform an OP and an ED for them. Shiki’s second ED is haunting beyond belief. Little goes on in the scenario, but the images speak for themselves, really: they’re utterly gorgeous with some really neat visual effects. It totally fits in with the atmosphere of the series.

#6: Shiki OP 1

Continuing with Buck-Tick, it’s really that both the singles they composed for Shiki are amazing in their own ways. While the above ED was slow and depressing, this one is really up-beat, and still depressing. I chose to lump these two together because they very neatly show the change this series makes throughout its airtime. What that change is, you’re going to have to find out by yourself by watching it.

#5: Arakawa Under the Bridge X Bridge OP

Pretty much the only reason why this isn’t on number one is because the song could have been better. It has BY FAR the best visuals of any OP I’ve seen this year. Seriously, an absolute dream team has created this one: it was directed by Ryousuke Nakamura, the director of Mouryou no Hako and Hashire Melos, the animation director was Mieko Hosoi, and to make things even more perfect, it was storyboarded by Sayo Yamamoro, the director of Michiko e Hatchin. And this ED still feels like nothing these people have ever done before. Every second is meticulously detailed and imaginative. Seriously, these people need to start making another actual TV-series again.

#4: Sora no Oto OP

Those who have seen Elfen Lied will probably remember its wonderfully artistic OP. With Sora no Oto, it’s obvious that they tried the same thing (because yes, the director of Elfen Lied was in charge of this OP), but instead of the depressing Elfen Lied, this is a much more uplifting OP. It still looks gorgeous in its own way, but Yuki Kajiura behind the song gives it an entire new layer of awesomeness. It’s really a beautiful song, reminding me once again why she’s one of my favourite composers.

#3: Giant Killing OP

I think it’s going to be obvious what my top two choices are going to be, especially when I say that I got really bored of Hetalia’s EDs since June, but first I wanted to show Giant Killing’s OP, which is pretty much perfect: it’s entirely in line with the things that the series tried to make important: what we see here isn’t just a football match, we see every detail around it, ranging from the players, the coaches, the supporters and the adrenaline that’s in such a match. It introduces the characters, not in the usual cheesy ways of “here is a frame with character X trying to make a cool pose”. Instead, it introduces them by just showing them play a game. It’s excellent as a first taste, and the more I watch it the more details I find here. The song itself is also brilliantly energetic and unconventional that perfectly captures the spirit of football. Definitely my favourite OP of 2010.

#2: Hanamaru Youchien ED 10

I’ve raved about this one before. It’s nowadays fairly common for series to have multiple EDs, but none went as far as Hanamaru Youchien: it had 12 distinct EDs, all of which were completely different and had completely different themes. By far the best was the tenth one, which takes the happy atmosphere of the series, and turns it completely upside down by making it a very effective horror music video. It’s almost scary how well it works, the imagery is very creative and the haunting song really grabs you.

#1: Letter Bee ED 2

This one is so good that it also made it into my top 10 of favourite EDs. I’m still not exactly sure who in Studio Pierrot drew this, but it’s utterly gorgeous. This isn’t an ED of fancy animation, but the art that’s there is completely captivating and only gets better and better as the ED goes on, and the song does a wonderful job of strengthening it. I usually don’t like those cheesy male voices, but this is one major exception.

So, that concludes this list. What were your favourite OPs and EDs of 2010?

1. dthiswhtuseek says:

haha

it’s great to arakawa up there, but anyways, the dream team staff behind the second season’s op did a great job covering almost all of the varying inter-relationships in the series. Not to mention the various characters’ positions inside arakawa itself.

i get don’t what you don’t like about the series, but it’s really worth a watch, a funny and surprisingly thought provoking series, especially the first season, the second one, not so much.

2. Azule says:

For me, the Letter Bee reverse ed is one of the best, along with the second Densetsu op. The rest..hm.

3. CRT says:

Hanamaru Youchien ED 10 is pretty good, but I love ED 7 (which is directed by Osamu Kobayashi) most.

4. Zizhou says:

@CRT
    Agree with ED 7 as my personal favorite of the bunch for Hanamaru.

5. Solaris says:

I usually skip poth ops and eds as i’m eager to watch to the anime, but am seldom doing anime song appreciation session nonetheless. After that if i find some good song i … well borrow … it from the net an put on my pendrive to listen to it while driving or such :P

6. Tomtom says:

Why does only your #1 choice use a different videoplayer (that barely works)?

I like your top 10, although giant killing OP is noise to my ears.

7. psgels psgels says:

Tomtom: because it’s impossible to find. It’s really nowhere to be found on youtube, dailymotion, or any other kind of reliable web player, so I had to go with this random chinese player that happened to have one.

8. panda says:

my list would be:
    op & ed for kuragehime, letter bee &/ reverse, durarara!!, and kuroshitsuji 2

9. treble89 says:

Wow, i’ve been waiting for this. Haven’t seen all top 20, but my fav of this year are Star Driver OP, Shiki, Durarara!!, and Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru

10. Tan-Tan says:

2nd Densetsu opening is awesome. I’m glad you put FMA Period there :D Though I thought Rain and Again were awesome, I think Let It All Out deserve a place there too. Still, Period, I so cannot deny.

11. Sapphire says:

Star Driver’s OP, no doubt. I love the visuals and the song, equally.

I’ve also liked Kaichou wa Maid-sama’s 2nd ED, even though the anime sucks.

12. Maik says:

I don’t know how FMA did it, but I can’t think of a single bad OP or ED… They’re all really good!

13. fathomlessblue says:

I’d have put the Arakawa OP’s/ED’s much higher, but I gotta give you a lot of respect for putting them up, despite being lukewarm towards the series. That singular Maria-centric OP was definitely a highlight of the year.

I personally don’t like the Yakumo OP but the song that plays the show out has to be one of the best tunes I’ve heard in an anime. Enough to warrent a stop at Amazon.jp in order to find it.

Other than that I too loved both Giant Killing songs, plus that Harumariu Kindergarten Ed (plus a few others), it’s almost criminal they created it for one particular episode.

My ultimate faves of the year are definitely the OP and ED to Sora no Woto. It’s the feel good facter they generate, amazing!

14. Kurara says:

What, no World God Only Knows?

I know it isn’t a series you’re interested in blogging, but…that opening! I’m captivated every time I watch it. :)

15. ama-ri says:

Yay for Period. It’s one of my overall favorites as well. My all-time favorite is the Digimon Adventures OP (Butter-fly), tough. Sounds funny, but that song… I could listen to it endlessly.
    So for 2010 it’s somewhat around the lines (no real order because I didn’t really think about it yet)
    FMA 4th OP
    Break Blade OP (this song always gives me goosebumps.)
    Durarara OP 1
    Soranowoto OP (It’s Kalafina/YK. I love her.)
    Angel Beats OP (I especially love that piano scene at the beginning. and the song.)
    Pokemon BW OP (not kidding, I really like the visuals, the song makes me happy (not as much as the ED though)
    FMA OP 3 (I don’t like the song that much but I really really like the visuals and the atmosphere)

16. M says:

Im quite surprised, I thought you would have Rainbows OP up there for sure.

17. evolstar says:

Giant Killing OP was my favorite this year. I also liked Durarara OP 1 and 2, Letter Bee reverse OP and ED, angel beats OP and ED, armed librarians OP, and darker than black season 2 OP

18. Hogart says:

There were too many to choose from this year. My favorites are Hanamaru ed #2, Tatami Galaxy’s ED, and probably Occult Academy’s OP.. but there were a lot of really good tunes and animations. Panty and Stocking, Durarara, heck even Working all had great OP/EDs that suited the series, and as you pointed out even spotty series like Arakawa and Soredemo at least had good OP/EDs (though with Shinbo that’s expected).

19. DP says:

The tricky part is that often people will overpraise an OP or ED because of the show’s merits.

My criteria is “do I enjoy watching it after I’ve seen it a half-dozen times arleady, or do I want to fast-forward through it.”

My top five shares only some similarities to our hosts:

1. K-On!! Ed. K-on’s first season ED was fantastic; the second series is also very good, far more than the bland Op.

2. Kuragahime Op.

3. Durarara Ed, for the visuals.

4. Shiki 2nd OP. Nicely shows the increase in energy of the second half of the series.

5. High School of the Dead OP.

20. blah says:

The only ones missing are:
    Angel Beats
    Kuroshitsuji II

Kuragehime and Angel Beats tied for first. I love ops that make you feel more emotional as things are revealed in the series. Kuragehime op is more emotional for me after you learn that *spoiler sort of* the main girls mother is dead. I sort of read into the lyrics at the end of the OP.

21. Will says:

Totally agree with Sora No Woto being in your top 5. Nevermind the great opening, it was sad to see such a great show ruined by marketing ideas.

22. Amy says:

Tatami Galaxy’s ed won it for me. Love the song, love the symbolism, love the concept.

23. Taka says:

My list in rather fuzzy order:

1. Cobra the Animation ED – Kimi no Uta
    2. Sairaiya Goyou OP – Sign of Love
    3. Mitsudomoe ED – yumeiro no koi
    4. Sora no Woto OP – Hikari no Senritsu
    5. Giant Killing OP – My story
    6. Omamori Himari OP – Oshichau Zo!
    7. Tatami Galaxy OP – Maigoinu to ame no beat
    8. Angel Beats OP2 – My Soul your beats (yui Rock version)
    9. Seikon no Qwaser ED1 – Passionate Squall
    10. Shiki OP – Kuchizuke
    11. Fortune Arterial ED – “I miss you”
    12. Pokemon Best Wished ED – Kokoro no Fanfare
    13. Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt ED – Fallen Angel
    14. K-On OP 3 – Utauyo Miracle!!
    15. Fortune Arterial OP – Kizunairo
    15. Giant Killing ED – Get Tough
    16. Katanagatari ED 07 – Mayoigo Sagashi
    17. Kuragehime ED – Kimi no Kirei ni Kizuite Okure
    18. Highschool of the Dead OP
    19. Arakawa Under the Bridge ED 1 – Sakasama Bridge
    20. Nodame Finale OP – Mazanashi Daydream.

Generally this is based purely on music as I don’t really remember most of the visuals. Tatami Galaxy/House of Five Leaves were best OPs for me and Cobra/Mitsudomoe best EDs (or I should say most soothing because that is what I like in an ED)

24. Shippoyasha says:

Letter Bee anime will be missed when it ends.

Because the staff knows PRECISE what kind of melancholic songs to pick for OP/ED.

I loved ALL Letter Bee OP/ED

Great plug for Yuki Kajiura too. Sora no Oto OP still gives me shivers.

25. red CODE says:

My top 10:
    1. Break Blade OP – Fate
    2. Case Closed OP 29 – Summer Time Gone
    3. Seitokai Yakuindomo ED – Aoi Haru
    4. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood OP 4 + 5 – Period + Rain
    5. Fortune Arterial OP – kizunairo
    6. High School of the Dead ED 5 – Memories of days gone by
    7. Seitokai Yakuindomo OP (only in ep 6) – Jounetsu no Hana
    8. Shiki OP – Kuchizuke
    9. Shinrei Tantei Yakumo OP – Key
    10.Yosuga no Sora ED (the 1st ED – not the 2nd one) – Tsunagu Kizuna
    I really really love the visual in “Aoi Haru” & “Kuchizuke.”

26. Fireflyfu says:

Surprised Durarara OPs didnt make it to your list. Igd place the 2nd op in my tope ten definitely.

27. Watcherzero says:

I would have put Index, current One Piece OP and Panty and Stocked Ed in that list for great tunes and good videos.

28. Blade says:

pg, if you liked Hikari no Kioku (LB ED2), then what did you think of El Dorado, Sengoku Basara Two’s ED?

29. Xt says:

@psgels — December 7, 2010 @ 15:43
    the player for #1 song was from some Korean site.

30. marry says:

i love all this good job thank you

31. ZoboCamel says:

I like a lot of the ones on your list there, even though I’ve never seen most of them before. Some of my favourites weren’t on there, though:

Durarara – OP1+OP2
    Fairy Tail – ft. (I never really see anyone mention this one, but personally I love it.)
    To Aru Majutsu no Index II – No buts!
    Angel Beats – My Soul, Your Beats + Brave Song

32. BoozerX says:

The last ED of Nurarihyon was great, in my top 3 with Kuragehime OP and Durarara 1st OP

33. BoozerX says:

@Aidan: Somehow. The problem is rather Haruki anyway and it's canonically part of her character. Kei becomes more likeable IMO and the events get much more complicated and/or serious plus there are a bunch of characters getting added to the protag team which makes the whole thing more dynamic. The best comes when some other character joins around the middle though.
Personally, I can digest the emotionless dialogue in the first place since I watch the series with the mindset that the main characters are innately "broken" in some ways.
@Aidan Hmm...one might consider the emotion level increases in main characters' dialogues for Sakurada Reset as baby steps depending on how dramatic one expects a character to act in other animes. (The emotions increase do exist though) There are certainly emotional scenes and characters do develop in ways where one can't just say they're 100% robots.
@Travlos, If you so wish then you can write a review for Bahamut virgin soul. Just let me know if you are up for it. If so I recommend writing it up on google docs, then when you have it done I can give your account contributer status and you can paste it into a post for us to look over and publish on the site. For screenshots our standard size is H240 X W138.
Did they ever fix that emotionless dialgoue issue they had going on?
You are not alone. The second half of Sakurada Reset made me so glad that I stuck with the series.
Oh and I totally forogt Reset ended now too. Not sure if I am the only fan of that but the whole second half was one of the better things I've seen this year.
Okay now thinking three others came into my mind, but that's still not much. A lot of series started interesting and turned out mediocre or cheap after a while.
Considering that I love Made in Abyss, PrinPrin, Fate/Apo (so far) and 18if too guess this season was better than I've expected. 2016 was kind of a let down imo, animewise. Off the top of my head I only remember Rakugo, Fune wo Amu and Bokudake I think.
I didn't expect to like Virgin Soul as much as I do. Especially the last ~5 episodes got me. The weird thing is that I was disappointed by S1 actually.
@Travlos: I don't mind if you do a guess review on Virgin Soul, but let's me check with other admins first.

On Virgin Soul, I'm not sure if I like the bew development. It suddenly does a 180 degree turn on King Charriot, which I don't feel rewarding.
Kakegurui will have an anime original ending. It might be better than the ongoing manga. We shall see. An enjoyable foray.

Virgin Soul is going for a nice explosive ending. If no one writes a review, I would be willing to write one.
*kind of
While its very much in the shadow of the first and the protaganist started out kind annoying, I kind of got caught up in the spectacle and sentimentality of gunbuster 2.
Urasawa is preparing a new manga
yes the episode where Julian watched the documentary was fun. The Caligula like character comes from one of the lesser episodes of the series, when Kircheis beats up some rebelling third rate noble in the Empire.
Goddammit, fail, it just changed the colour of the login name...
I declare in the red truth that the next anime I shall watch is Diebuster.
From what little I saw, I remember a Caligula like character in one episode.
I remember there's an episode where Julian just goes on Space Netflix and just watches a documentary. I actually liked that lol
yup, a LOGH that run like the Altair anime would be bad. It needs to show the sweep of history
@Anon, I actually liked that aspect. It made the history of the world feel real.
It's compressible, as there are many episodes of buildup, but that's where so many of the interesting details and depth of planning become evident. Some of those episodes read like a history textbook though, so we'll see how the new adaptation handles them,
*pleasantly
Tytania was ok.
On the Amakusa Shiro reference in the fate review, I've seen a film about him from the 50s , theres also an old josei manga where the protagonist ends up becoming essentially regarded as him.
Hi Kaiser. Supposedly this is a re-imagining of the original story. Thus independent of the OVAs (old serieis). What exactly re-imagining means is something I and you do not know. We shall see. But it does mean that you do not need to watch the old series to enjoy this one. The OVA was definetly more expansive than the novels. So my guess is they will stick to the novels.
There's another anime, called Tytania based on his novels but I haven't seen that series.
As in condensable in the way nothing much is lost? I assume there are fillers in the original?
I'm indifferent to the aesthetics of the new version. What I'm hoping for is that it will be accessible to newcomers and that I'll be able to jump on to the old series where the new one leaves off. I've seen very little of the original and it was a long time ago, is there any way the story is condensable?
The fact that they stayed away from the disgusting new manga is great. I am not too keen on the CGI ships, but they also did not rankle. It looks like it will honor the spirit of the old series, and I cannot ask for more. I am a massive LOGH fan. And the new video out gives me hope of revisiting one of the greatest sci-fi/historical settings out there. I am happy.
I hope they are using the old anime as a base and not the new Manga adaption. As that Manga adaption is seriously lacking.
@Anon, I like that they blinged up the space battles which is good because those things could get tiresome. But I really hate the design of Yang Wenli. They made him look so much younger and bishi. I don't think i could take this guy seriously if he started one of Wenli's signature hypothesis.
Thoughts on that new LOGH PV? My expectations were low, so I'm presently surprised. Obviously they made everybody pretty boys, and Mamoro Miyano is voicing Reinhard I believe. But art and animation actually looks pretty decent overall. It's a PV, and LOGH's best quality is it's story and characters, so we'll have to see if they remain faithful or not. But it's nice to see it get a visual overhaul.
By the way this site has the first chapters but check the other versions to find them.
@Mario, Indeed. It's also a pity that over half the couples in the manga were not featured. We only got a small taste of Patricia.
Or maybe I'll try to read the manga. The last time I checked it online, the site doesn't have its first few chapters
@Aidan: man, Tsurezure Children sure is sweet. Really sad to see it ends
So that's the end of Tsurezure Children.
....I'm gonna need a second season. Now.
....NOW GODDAMNIT! NOW!
As I said I understand the criticisms to RE:Creator, but ultimately I enjoyed most of the show. It could had been better, and it is a missed chance. But I have seen worse.
I gave up halfway through, there weren't even enough action scenes and those that were didn't justify waiting around for.
Could have at least delivered on the action but that was rendered pointless due to the majority of the cast turning good and Altair being a complete cheat character.
It would have been really fun to see characters discuss their stories with their creators or indulge in what our world has to offer but they really glossed over that part.
It really should have gone deeper into the whole meta aspect introducing anime characters to the real world. Like they did with Mamika's powers being ridiculously destructive when outside a kid friendly setting.
@Puran, I at least like the message of the final episode. But as for the show itself it was just missed potential on a lot of levels. I wanted Anime Genre battle royale and instead got a secondhand Shirobako with a crap shounen anime attached.
I have been forgiving of Anno as I've gotten older.
I also just re-watched gunbuster, I'd previously dismissed the ova after a few episodes when I was a teenager, I'd found it too slow, didn't have that issue with the 90 minute version I just finished. I've never see the sequels.
Ill have to finish Creators... at some point
I've been dipping back into the Lupin franchise, Gold of babylon was particularly screwball, kind of ridiculous comedy caper/adventure thing you just have to run with....turns out it was directed by a live action filmaker I especially like who made bizzare noir films in the 60s.
Puran
So that explains why Meteora had so much air time in Re:Creators. It's her story....

I hated the ending and I disliked the anime overall.
@Mario: It was a genuine surprise to see that Assayas decided to make a film framed around hentai =P
@Mario: I loved how incoherent demonlover was.
@Mario: The criticisms I'll give wind river, is a slight inconsistent performance from Renner and that very awkwardly inserted flashback scene.
@Kaiser: on Wind River, I agree it's a well-executed case of the week drama, although there are some plot pregressions that I don't get (how did they find out about the man's corspe again?). About Demonlover, man, the film gives me a chill down my spine. Heartless. And a bit misogynist.
@Kaiser: as much as I loved Wong (yeah I too prefer him over Malick), sometimes I do think Western cinema give him too much praise that sadly overshadow other Asian directors.
@Mario: Wong is important to me as a hong-kong filmaker, he offers something entirely different from the whole Woo/Lam Hong komg movies.
@Mario: On a more positive note Maggie Cheung did mention that she felt her early work with Wong was when she first truly became a proper actress.
@Mario: ....I had no idea he had such a sad background.
*investigation drama
@Kaiser: that film also marked/ signified a rather sad period of Hongkong showbiz. Leslie Cheung badically lived the live of the protagonist and commited suicide in 1997. His girlfriend on screen, during the filming, was kidnaped, raped and taken topless picture. The damnest thing is that everyone knowed the culprit but did nothing, and in the press it was just deemed as "kipnapped and assaulted"
@Mario: Wind river was a big surprise for me, just goes to show that with the right execution an ordinary police drama movie can be elevated higher.
@Mario: Thats the interesting thing, tracking a directors career.
Just binge watched the new dominion tank police ovas , admittedly these are kind of reptitive and extremely silly but its hard to hate on something so shamelessly fun that made me feel like a child again.
@Kaiser: you said it there. DoBW is rather raw and unpolished but that's one of the reason why I am drawn to it more compare to his other works.
In all honesty, it would be nice to finally see a continuation after fusion as all games after that have just been adding chapters in-between.
Finally I wonder, if Metroid Prime 4 will definitely branch out of the main Metroid's continuity. It's curious how an interquel subseries is still going to add things in between the first and the second entries in the main franchise.
AidanAK47 - I think is nice we can see both takes. Especially since neither one despite a few qualms are still very solid entries for this franchise. I just hope Metroid moves forward, as IMO this is the only game that really needed a facelift do to the heavy limitations of the gameboy. And I hope the secret gallery at the end is teasing how the producer plans to move the plot forward.
I thought it might be like that but it's good to know they are at least on a close level. I didn't really want Samus Returns to replace AM2R as the "Definitive" version of Metroid 2. Mostly because a lot of love was put into AM2R andit came at a point when it felt Nintendo didn't give a crap about Metroid.
Like Zero Mission there's something added to Samus Returns but I'll just leave it at that.
I think both have strong points. Samus Returns have better boss battles, gameplay mechanics and more intense action pieces. AM2R IMO has more atmosphere, takes advantage of elements Nintendo don't even try like the Federation subplot, and the ending portion narratively has more heart in AM2R, while in Samus Returns it feels mostly like "the final level".
I also did got lost a couple of times in Samus Returns and aside from the big water section in AM2R, the latter is more linear game.
I think the controls in Samus Returns bring more to the table though. The 360 aiming makes for better ways to shoot enemies and some of the bosses take advantage of that. If it weren't for the 3DS giving hand cramps because you're holding L and R at several points it'll be completely the most ideal way to play.
AidanAK47 - AM2R is very good, I think it has the advantage that because it uses sprites IMO backgrounds and enemies are more vibrant and easier to appreciate. The Federation soldiers are better executed in AM2R and that secret section with the ship is very eery.
@Vonter, How does it stack up to AM2R? I bought it and am still waiting on it to be delivered but I have the feeling that AM2R would be the better game when comparing.
I took me 12 hours to 100% and I've heard the best ending is beating it in less than 4 hours. I think unlike Zero Mission item percentage don't matter, it's mainly to unlock an art gallery.
My main criticism is this being a 3DS game. Small enemies can be hard to see or appreciate. And I think the 3DS wasn't made for heavy action packed games like this or Smash Bros. I got the rubber from the circle pad come off in two occasions. Also unless there was something big in the background, several areas felt lacking in detail. Still Samus and the bosses look good.
In terms of difficulty, the game has the enemies packing more damage than in other 2D Metroids. Is difficult in the sense than you can't tank damage as in other iterations, you have to be aware of enemy behavior and bosses mainly get easier do to familiarizing with their patterns, since I did die a lot each time I faced a new boss. And got used to kill them faster as I went along.
Ok, so I beat Samus Returns. It's quite good. Unlike Fusion that had dialogue at midst the gameplay. Samus Returns only has a prologue of exposition and any cutscenes mainly accentuate the reactions of Samus confronting a new enemy. The level design is dense, despite having isolated areas like in Fusion and the original Samus Returns, each area is very mazelike.
@Mario: =< Awww I kind of like demonlover actually despite all its flaws, it had great sound design and had this cold, clinical, un-nerving mood to it.
@Mario: Days of being wild does feel a bit un-realized/un-polished/rough compared to his other work definitely but its probably the rawest I've seen from him and that has its appeal.
@Mario: Haven't seen farewell my concubine come to think of it. Regarding the scifi element I felt I embraced it more further into the film when it started to intermingle more.
While I am more forgiving toward Malick's recent films than most, that decline in quality means I have to pick Wong.
by the way in RE:Creators we probably will be getting a future series focusing on the hunt for Magane :p Meteora probably playing the role of detective. I also bet her novel will be wordy and heavy in exposition :p
i.e his end game might had been a cross-species revolution against him anyway. We will see
In Bahamut Chris proves to not be totally evil, but he is totally crazy. That said I am seeing one of my hunches getting supported, the hunch was that his cruelty towards daemons was with the purpose of bringing them down enough that they would be willing to work with humans as euals (As they are in Jean's army) and thus via that create a more unified world. I
RE: Creators has come to its end. I know the problems everyone has with it, and while it failed to raise to the level of exceptional show, I loved it. As I said, it had been years since a show kept me so excited episode after episode. They blew it at some point, but ultimately for me this is an en-joyful show, and one I would happily binge watch in the future again.
@Kaiser: question for you though, between these two directors, which one do you prefer: Wong Kar-Wai or Terrance Malick?
@Kaiser: if you enjoyed both 2046 and In the Mood for Love, by all mean check out Days of Being Wild. The trio forms a loose trilogy and Days of Being Wild was the first film that Wong began his unique unconventional style. It's one of my personal favorite of Wong and it's a chance for you to watch the late Leslie Cheung acted (you might watch him already in Farewell My Concubine)
@Kaiser: 2046 is indeed a passionate film, and one of his best looking film. He tried something different in 2046 too, experimented with scifi (one of the best part in the film for me)
@Kaiser: it's stritcly Wong Kar Wai's romance we're talking about, since I don't find the rest of Chinese take on romance that interesting. Romance or melodrama is one of his main theme throughout his career
@Mario: It was slightly overly long however.
I've also seen chungking express, in the mood for love and fallen angels. I think this Chinese take on romance is really clicking with me.
@Mario: I also thought it was a very passionette film and I love how Kar-wong-wai uses the music in it. I also think its one of his best looking films.
@Mario: I had a look at that Chinese film 2046, very effectively melancholic take on fleeting relationships while also successfully being quite sensual while staying classy and without ever showing too much. Tony Leung and Maggie Cheung are two beautiful people =P
for those who still want to catch up with 18if, episode 11 has a huge recap, while wrapping up the show with a new overarching plot. Hopefully they don't pull another Matrix here
SuperWooper
It's shounen-y for sure. The competitions have been my least favorite parts of the show so far. If you're still watching, you might appreciate it more once the Tenpei Cup is over.
Damn Ballroom looks so good. But I really can't enjoy it despite that I want to. It has too many of these typical shounen moments and plot points I can't stand.
Omae wa mou shindeiru
Mononoke is actually what made me find Ayakashi. Also a good show.
Regarding Ayakashi, I only watched the Mononoke segment
"It was a long, long trip, and we're coming finally to the end of the journey. Thank you, Manoyama and Chupacabra. And thank you, 5 EURO" - Sandal-san.
Ayakashi was great for me Kaiser. I enjoyed my time with it
Vonter212
@AidanAK47 - The hard aspect has been commented in several reviews with bosses being able to easily kill you. (Although in my experience it might be just getting a pattern). In terms of length most 2D games can be beaten under 3 hours. This one seems to clock at at least 6 to 15 if you want to collect everything. Then again, we'll see in subsequent playthroughs.
`@Vonter. It's out now but I don't remember seeing anyone claim it's the longest hardest entry 2D wise.
Going to watch new dominion tank police next and read violence action and Oddman 11.
It took me years to get round to it, but I finally watched Ayakashi and as expected like most anthologies, again its mixed, the first is a solid ghost story that improves after a weak start, but that third one with the cat spirit was great, really liked how experimental that looked.
Soo a new Metroid comes out this week. It is said, it's the longest, hardest entry in regards to the 2D iterations. Still not as great as Super, and depending on your fanaticism it might or not be as good as Zero Mission.
But they didn't pull that scene off too well. It's just... unmemorable. In fact the whole show is very unremarkable. Now only 1 episode left I might as well finish it but I won't give it a full review
Koi to Uso has been disappointing so far. Episode 10 featured the sequence that i was looking forward the most in the manga: the former classmate tells the one sided crush of the main girl from her POV. For a romance that contrived and manipulated like this one, hearing this from the third person's perspective prove to be more powerful
@HelghastKillzone - Good luck with that. I almost had my car's engine damaged since it has been raining heavily where I live. Had to ask for help the next day to pull it out of mud. Still not as bad as the other three cars that did get stuck in the water.
HelghastKillzone
Dealing with work and the total loss of my car really sucks at the moment so I'm quite tied up for this week.
I do agree to a point, but to be frank all the episodes of Princess Principal to date have been so solid I have a hard time deciding. Episode 5 though was still the best from a holistic point (action, direction, music etc) was the one introducing Chise
Agree. Dorothy has the biggest heart out of all the spy girls. Also "help" that her episodes are all melodramatic.
This episode of PrinPrin showed again that Dorothy is the best character by far. Not just herself but her episodes as well are better written than the rest if you ask me.
It just hit me. The characters in Princess Principal may be very well working for IngSoc :p
@Kaiser, in the seven chapters it's only really two of them that contain dark shocking content. Chapter three being the biggest one in that regard.
@Aidan: I read a comment where someone said subahibi shocked them more than saya no uta. While I haven't played it yet, I have seen some of a letsplay...it lleft me thinking....how many hours until this actually gets good/truly unhinged .
After Reading SubaHibi, Made in Abyss's dark turn didn't shock me too much. Maybe I just got desensitised. I will have a review of SubaHibi hopefully up in a week though to clarify my feelings on it after just finishing it, It was interesting but disappointing.
well, well. Both Made in the Abyss and Virgin Soul do not hold back. Grim! RE:Creators is warping up. Comparing with these other shows I can fully appreciate the problems people have with it. But still I am glad I am sticking to the end. Altair's voice actor by the way did great.
@Helghast, And Kings Field was the Demon Souls before Demon Souls came out.
having binge watched several of this season's shows I would say Princess Principal is the most rounded. Made in Abyss is good. Kakegurui and The Reflection as SuperMario said will depend on your tastes. There is also Shouko no Altair. You will like it if you liked Tanya Saga of Evil, or Legend of Galactic Heroes, or Arslan Senki or manga like Vinland Saga, Gunka no Baltzar, and especially Historie
Jesus...me watching this weeks Made in Abyss https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ogzsWhZcmM
HelghastKillzone
So... Demon Souls was the Dark Souls before Dark Souls came out.
@anon1385426: the safest bets aside from Made in Abyss are Welcome to the Ballroom and Princess Principal. Kakegurui and the Refection are for more acqurired taste
Aside from Made in Abyss, what's the best anime this season?
@KT, the pacing and the framerate early on are my two biggest issues. Later on the story starts to get abit more engaging, and they start doin things I didnt expect, but the pacing is still there. Some akward pauses.
Look, Berserk and Dark Souls are both amazing. But I only have 3 Dark Souls games, and 38 Berserk volumes. Im clearly biased
I sat down and watched the first 4 episodes of The Reflection. It is an interesting attempt, and I can see the people making it having fun doing so. But I did notice a pacing issue. For some reason the episodes felt like they dragged a bit too long.
Dark Souls is the Berserk of Video Games.
Dark Souls really went all Berserk if you ask me
I am not one for putting down law but can we never ever compare anything to Dark Souls ever again? Cause it's actually become really tiresome how everything is the dark souls of something.
No other sentence has made me want to watch Made in Abyss more
HelghastKillzone
I guess we're finally at the point where Made in Abyss goes all Dark Souls/Bloodborne.
Apo's Jack the Ripper had at least a nice idea behind it, it's just the clothes that are a bad choice. But there are just too many lolis for the sake of fanservice in that game. I accept it if there is at least a reason for this but it's usually just random.
@Aidan: Same here. I was never a fan of genderbendings and turning historical people into lolis. The first one I can accept with people like Arthuria because it added a lot to her character, but most of them are just plain and generic. I just see no reason why pirates, grown up men or Blavatsky would ever appear as little girls. Especially since popular beliefs should influence their appearance.
On Altair, one commenter did an excellent job of poiting out the appeal of that show; and frankly the show is wearing on me now.
@Travlos: I'm glad you enjoy Princess Principal. I'm quite surprised myself that in the latter half the show slowed its pace down which mean the focus is switched from action to more characters interactions; which I greatly enjoy
Well I binge watched Princess Principal. That is a very good show. I was surprised. Good animation, good music, the art is good, hell I even did not mind the protagonist art. But what I really like is the stories. All the episode were pretty solid and interesting.
Just won a fight by the skin of my teeth thanks to my Lancer, Cu Chulainn. You the man Cu!
@Amagi, Been playing Grand Order myself. It's rather fun. There are some good original character in it but I notice with Quantity certain figures designs were pretty terrible. I thought Assassins of black was the worst but some Grand Order servents manage to top it in terrible. Why all the bikini's?
Fate/GO has quite some interesting original characters there. Wish we'd see them in some actual manga or anime series with more backstory someday. - I also like that we finally have an overpowered, interesting and competent Hassan with King Hassan for once. His design is metal AF too.
Binge watched Altair. The pacing of the show is a problem, but in general the raw material is good. Altair is sympathetic, and the world is interesting. But I do feel this is the kind of show that would had gained by a Monster or LOGH type treatment. Also, man it is scary how accurate they got some of the traits of Greeks (Phoenicians in the show). I am a Greek, I should know! :p
forgot to mention. I saw the 91 Days special. Three side stories that give some depth to the events in the main anime, but nothing that goes beyond it's end. Still they were in general ok to good.
SuperWooper
It's got Jude Law playing "this kind of huge robot butler called Charles, who is also a rocket ship." What could possibly go wrong?
Anime with Jaden Smith? Um..I don't know about this.
@Kaiser: one of the good thing about SoL shows like Centaur and even 18if is that their episodes are self-contained, so you can just jump right in to watch the good ones and ignore the rest
I just love Chise's presence so I might enjoy the last episode more than anyone else. But yeah I'm quite satisfied with Princess Principal right now
Actually I am quite surprised Princess Principal hasn't gone off the rails yet. Might even turn out to be a fun show in the end. If the man can make it to the finish line without a misstep.

Classroom of the Elite – 11 [What People Commonly call Fate is Mostly their Own Stupidity]

So suddenly, without mentioned at any point before, Horikita can suddenly kicks ass? Or that Horikita has been sick ALL THIS TIME? Or that Horikita still can kick some ass while being sick all this time? Since when the Class-D boys shrink into only Ayanokouji, Hirata and the 3 idiots? On that note, where is […]

Ballroom e Youkoso – 11 [Evaluation]

And so the Tenpei Cup comes to a close at last. It took five episodes to get from the first round to the awards ceremony, and not all parts of the competition were created equal, but I’m happy that my girl Mako managed to claim the Ballroom Queen award. After she received the trophy, there […]

Kakegurui – 11[The woman who bets her life]

So…what am i supposed to say here? Yumeko wins, the treasurer loses and now the show looks to be teasing a matchup between the Student council President and Yumeko. I would say it’s a good thing this shows end looms near as my interest in it has just about petered out. I love seeing smug […]

Made in Abyss – 11[Nanachi]

It’s been an issue I have wanted to bring up before but the previous episode recaps of this series are rather long. Today’s was the biggest offender as the first three and a half minutes was just footage from the previous episode. While these kinds of recaps are handy for those watching weekly to catch […]

Fate/Apocrypha – 12[The Holy Man Returns Triumphant]

If Fate/Apocrypha can keep up this level of quality till the end, I may just change my overall opinion on it. I don’t think it would match the works of Fate/Zero or Unlimited Blade Works but it could beat out the 2006 Fate/Stay Night, Prisma Illya and Fate/Grand Order. It’s a decently respectable position in […]

The Reflection – 9 [Downtown L.A.]

This week The Reflection continues on towards its finale. Finally all of our characters are in one place and raring for a fight. Reflection starts off right back with the Idol group, being unable to decide between beef or fish. Apparently an episode named for the dilemma wasn’t enough. Reflection quickly cuts back to Elen […]

Katsugeki Touken Ranbu – 12 [Battle of Hakodate]

Welcome to the penultimate episode of Ranbu! Unable to end with a small, personal story, Ranbu prepares for the largest battle yet! Lets jump in. Ranbu opens up right were last week left off. Kane’s sword falling, to strike Horikawa. Instead, it cuts into the dirt at his feet, moved aside at the final moments. […]

Princess Principal – 11 [Case 23 Humble Double]

Hmmm, something doesn’t ring true here. As this episode ends, we can assume that the Princess and Ange have a big break-up, Princess plays the role of Ange under the Princess’s disguise, and Ange has gone to Casablanca to live in a casa blanca for good. To be frank, I never really buy all that. […]

18if – 11 [The Thorn Cross Association]

Hum, never know that Eve is a ginger and has wings like an angel and wears that cool dress. I’ve always thought she’s always naked. hmmm Finally, 18if provides an overarching double length plot to wrap everything up. We have an episode that splits half of the time as a recap of what previously happened […]

Sakura Quest (Summer 2017) Review – 79/100

Conceived as a third installment in a loose P.A Works trilogy about young adult girls in working environment, Sakura Quest both knows its target audience well, and has some big shoes to fill. After all, many have considered Shirobako an install classic for good reasons. As it turns out, Sakura Quest is more on the […]

Castlevania Season 1 Review – 70/100

Upon hearing that Castlevania would be getting an animated TV series my first reaction was that of unpleasant surprise. Part of the reason was because of the video games infamous history with adapting their stories to other mediums but my main reason was that being familiar with the Castlevania games, I knew the story was […]

Tsuki ga Kirei (Spring 2017) Review – 88/100

It’s hard for me not to go overboard on Tsuki ga Kirei: out of all the show I’ve followed this season, I resonated the most to this one; but even when I’m judging this show objectively, Tsuki ga Kirei is one of the most perfect one, in a way that it achieved exactly what it […]

Seikaisuru Kado Review 51/100

Seikaisuru Kado was a title which caught my attention for a number of reasons. For one it’s visuals showed not a single teenager in sight and a cast mainly consisting of working adults. Another is that it deals with a premise not often tackled in anime, Philosophical Science Fiction. The story features an alien being […]

ID-0 (Spring 2017) Review – 81/100

Here comes one of the most under-appreciated anime of this Spring season. ID-0 has many hassles that keeps viewers away from watching it: Netflix exclusive, full CG animation and a plot that just plain weird and a bit incomprehensive at first view. I originally took it as nothing more than fun spooky little-seen show until […]

Grimoire of Zero (Spring 2017) Review – 77/100

I remember, back in our first impression of this series, Aidan remarked that Grimoire of Zero isn’t your typical LN-adaptations, but he didn’t know what to make of it. To be honest, after watching an entire cour, I’m still unsure what to make of it myself. This show has some serious flaws, yet despite all […]

Uchoten Kazoku Review – 94/100

(Note: Since psgels didn’t give his final review to the first season, this review is for the entirety of Eccentric Family. If I had to grade the second season alone, it’s 90/100). Doesn’t matter how you look at it, the Eccentric Family is a unique show, in a way it feels and tastes like no […]

Little Witch Academia TV Review – 80/100

The Little Witch Academia series has been something that’s a long time coming. Ever since Studio Trigger made the original Anime OVA back in 2013 I have been hotly anticipating the time when it would be fleshed out into it’s own anime series. I love both the original OVA and the enchanted Parade so this […]

Window Horses (2016) Movie Review – 87/100