Posted by psgels on 30 December 2010 with categories: Shiki

That really was just an amazing conclusion. It was just stunning, and without a doubt the best ending of the entire season and in my top 3 of best ending of the year. I mean, December has been a fantastic month for Shiki, it turned out to be significantly better than just about anything else that was airing at the moment. This ending was just its crowning moment.

Now, in terms of storytelling there was that point where Natsuno found Tatsumi perhaps a little easily, but in terms of storytelling it was just amazing to see everything just fall apart for both the Shiki and the humans as well. A fire (probably set by the Shiki in a desperate attempt, but more explanation on that will probably follow in the final two DVD Specials) also put an end to the hopes of Toshio to come out of this unscathed either: it’s impossible to explain to the police what happened and if this were set in the real world, it probably would have made the headlines throughout the entire world.

The interesting thing is that strangely enough, the creators refused to kill children under fourteen years old. The ventriloquist is killed off screen, Akira turns out to be alive, and Sunako survives thanks to Seishin’s injury that didn’t turn ot to be serious enough to actually kill him. At the same time though: Tomio Ookawa really was about to kill that girl, and Megumi also got a really gruesome death scene.

Now, I do wonder what the two DVD episodes are going to focus on, though: they’re titled episode 20,5 and 21,5, but this episode showed the preview for an actual epilogue. In any case, I see no way for these episodes to not be utterly amazing. Shiki has just shown how to perfectly make use of Noitamina’s timeslot, with finally another 22 episode series and an array of episodes on DVD only in order to complete the story.
Rating: *** (Awesome)

1. Diasen says:

Seishin turned into a jinrou at the end I think. If I remember right, his eyes changed.

2. AKI says:

Judging from the Episode Numbers, I believe that it will be the Maeda Motoko arc.

3. gaby says:

I thought it was Natsuno that started the fire?

4. Nayrael says:

As I suspected, the anime’s ending was based on the Light novel (obviously with some differences like Natsuno (who never raised in novels)).

All in all, this was a FANTASTIC show. My favorite show of 2010 no doubt.

5. totoum says:

Megumi’s death is right up there with the 2nd half of episode 14 as the most disturbing scene in the the anime to me

6. Israeru says:

Wow Sunako survives… super spoiler, i am downloading this chapter now!

7. Frost says:

Sunako being saved at the last moment by Muroi ruined this for me… I knew it would happen since it was the same last episode but seriously… Yay lets save the loli because shes a little innocent girl

Not to mention Muroi was probably the most useless character in the whole thing… He never did anything relevant, and then suddenly switched to the vampire side and starts helping Sunako for no reason whatsoever…what a pathetic character, and yet he survives while Tomio dies… FUUUU

Cannot contain my rage at this episode really, tried way too hard to make the Shiki survive… The only great thing was Megumi dying a brutal death

8. Alec says:

Amazing finale!
    in the end, no one won

9. Mk says:

Throughout this entire show I’ve never sympathized with the Shiki, In fact I lol’d quite a bit at Megumi’s death, the only thing I didn’t like was the fact that Sunako and Muroi survive both of them were definitely the worst and most useless characters in the show. Apart from that I think Shiki had the best ending this year.

10. WStWolf says:

Wait, didn’t you realize that Seishin became a jinroh? That’s why his eyes were a different color after he rose, why it showed a new kind of blood mixing with his red blood cells when Sunako located him, why the camera focused on him when the jinrou were discussig how a jinrou doesn’t need to stay dead for a few days in order to rise up, why he was able to find his way in the dark, why he was at full health when he saved her at the end, and why he was able to drive away during the breaking of dawn. Shinrou’s a werewolf now.

11. windy says:

I was deeply relieved that Sunako survived and that Muroi managed to get at the temple before it was too late, my heart nearly exploded when Ookawa was trying to kill her ( really, she says it times and times again that it’s not like she chose that life, but it’s only natural she doesn’t want to die , or murdered, and besides the other guy just got it wrong, most of them didn’t “kill” , they “hunted for food” ( a completely different concept ), I don’t know, this just doesn’t seem right to me, I know the villagers didn’t have much choice and the vampires were killing them and people were just dying away and all, but I guess I share Muroi’s opinion on the matter, killing because others killed ( somehow even this notion could be questioned: what is particularly disturbing is that when villagers got transformed, their original mind didn’t change whatsoever, they were just the same except for their thirst of human blood, Megumi still wanted to go outside and shine, Toru was still the same kind-hearted guy with a sense of moral values that made him feel prodigiously guilty even if he was also left without a choice, except for letting himself starve to death, but it’s not that easy as people may tend to think, if some kind of phenomena like this had appeared, I don’t know what the majority of people would have done, I don’t think they would have just let themselves die out, at all times humans strove to survive, no matter the methods they had to use ( at war periods …). When Megumi got killed I’ve got the feeling they were just killing her former self, but they also did it for their own survival, that’s what so striking with this series, it’s that it shows the two sides and presents them so as it would arouse our sympathy and understanding. But anyway, I’m just glad Muroi and Sunako , my two favorite characters of the show, managed to get out of the whole thing alive, no matter what the consequences will be, it is just too great to be true, didn’t believe that would happen. But with this, the series put up an open ending somehow, as we don’t know what will happen with them once they leave the village and settle elsewhere. I also got the feeling that Muroi “died” somehow, then transformed into a shiki or maybe he became a jinro without even truly “dying” but the scene when he awakes surprised me as I was totally sure he wouldn’t survive from such a blood loss. With this being said, this was one of the greatest shows ever, something we don’t see quite often, and the ending was just amazing to close up this breathtakingly amazing series!!!!!

12. WStWolf says:

Again, Muroi DID transform. He became a jinroh. Read my post above yours.

13. Aline says:

Amazing ending. The only thing that was disappointing to me was that Akira miraculously turned out to be alive. I hope this will be explained in the 2 extra episodes, because it seemed really unlikely he would be alive after Tatsumi tied him up and left him with a hungry Shiki that had just risen.

14. JinS says:

This has been an amazing show. Definitely deserves more attention.

Seishin has been completely pathetic for 21 and 9/10 episodes. Almost as useless as Ookami Kakushi’s main character. I’m glad he actually did something for the very first time in his life at the end, but I was really hoping he would die and unfortunately he did not.

15. JinS says:

@Aline

Tatsumi already said a few episodes ago that he knows Natsuno took Akira away to somewhere.

16. qwerty says:

it may make me a horrible person but there was a point during megumi’s death scene that i let a laugh out.

i mean after they’ve run her over several times, pinned her down with one of the tractors AND crushed her head the guy actually says “lets kill her quickly for her sake”

does anyone know the significance of the scene that played out during the credits? i couldn’t make out who the people getting on the bus were with the thing being so small.

17. Dynamic A says:

This series definitely makes one think… and not about very many nice things, either. The series went out of its way to make sure that neither side was sympathetic (with the exception of a few characters)… the main protagonists were a nihilist (Natsuno) and a sadist (Ozaki), the Shiki were essentially serial killers who never TRIED anything but killing humans, and the villagers, from the moment they were finally convinced about the existence of the “Shiki” instantly became the sort of racist, xenophopic (or would it be anthrophobic?) mob of murderers that echoes back to the not so distant past in which the Japanese brutally committed numerous war atrocities to the “lesser” Asian peoples they conquered.

That was by far the most disturbing part of the series, along with Ozaki’s callous, sociopathic dissection/mengele-style live autopsy of his shiki-fied wife. You could not watch the ho-hum piling of shiki bodies in mass graves and NOT hear echoes of not only Auschwitz, but incidents that hit much closer to the Japanese, such as the Rape of Nanking and the Bataan Death March.

This is a series that offers little to nothing in the way of hope for morality or humanity… the bullshit pseudo-philosophical atheistic rejection of “God” and justification for Sunako and the Shiki by the Junior Monk at the end rings just as hollow as the actions of the Shiki and the villagers themselves that each side rationalized as “the right thing to do.”

If the goal of this series was to frustrate and anger, it certainly succeeded on me. Was it disgusting? I think so. But my disgust certainly doesn’t come from the comically over the top violence and blood spatter, but from the motivations behind those actions by the characters.

-DA

18. @DA and Windy

wow, Spot on!

I 1) actually sympathized with both sides
    2) LIKED Muroi and Sunako
    3) Realized that the villagers became JUST as bad as the shiki when they slaughtered Murois Parents and the other shrine guy who were STILL HUMAN.

Its funny how everyone was like *oh muroi and sunako should have died blah blah blah*, just confirms how sick and twisted most people here could become in a situation like this. . .hell if the world went to shit in a situation like failed economic countries, Argentina of the early 2000s comes to mind, I wouldnt trust any of you, as you probably go mad with bloodlust and just start killing for the sake of killing which this really showed the villagers doing towards the end.

When the zombie Apocalypse comes, I know who Id trust, DA and Windy ;p

19. Bob McBob says:

Muroi had a great character arc. He went from confused idiot to just plain idiot in this episode.

20. Aeon says:

@qwerty The people who got on the bus were Natsuno’s dad, The fat nurse, and Kanami Yano.
    The woman from way back when Tatsumi “Lost his way” when the Kirishiki’s were moving into Kanemasa. She was also shown recently protecting her mother who became a shiki,by giving her mother her own blood. ep 19, about halfway point.

21. But it’s not finished, episode 23 will be on air the Thursday January 6th, 2010, isn’t it?

22. psgels psgels says:

Le Gluon: really? Where did you read that?

23. at the end of each shiki anime, in the final music, you have a preview of the next episode. I was suprised to see a preview of the next episode in the 22. And the next episode is announced on this address:

24. Wertzu says:

Nice contradiction of the plot in the beginning of this episode btw:
    Sunako became quickly out of breath during her sprint, altough she shouldnt even have breathed as a Vampire ;)

25. psgels psgels says:

Le Gluon: the thing is that for announcements like these, you really should look at official sites and sources and not a silly streaming site that takese any romour without double-checking it. Beyond that site, I really can’t find any other source that claims that a new episode will air next week, so I really wonder where they got that info from.

26. I share your think, it’s not an official site, take this informatio nwith care, but like me you saw the preview of the next episode in the ending?

27. Pook says:

What happened to Masao, is he dead? Didn’t see him in the finale. Maybe I missed something in the previous episodes.

28. @Pook His sister killed him, but we didn’t see the scene.

29. AKI says:

@Pook, Yeah he was already killed by his sister, He was shown along with Nao and Shizuka as the dead when they’re burning. I was surprised to see that Natsuno’s dad survived, I thought he was a gone. I was also surprised when Kanami Yano boarded the bus, I thought she remained in her house to burn because her dead mother was, well, dead.

30. Pook says:

Yep, now I remember… I don’t know why I forgot this part ^^’, sorry.

31. qwerty says:

there is no way there is an episode 23 airing next week, this was designed to be a 22 episode series back when they took that extended break before the second half started.

add on the fact that next week starts the new anime season and they wouldn’t be filling up a time slot to air another episode and have another series start late.

32. Hot Taco says:

Personally I wasn’t sure how to react to the ending itself. I’ll remember this series more for it’s success in creating a cast of characters, both shiki and human that you could empathize with, not to mention the fact that you ultimate have to decide which of the two groups was ever in the right. Series that force you to do this sort of thing have been hard to come by. Like I said I don’t know if I like the ending in particular, but the series was successful in many other ways, which I enjoyed greatly.

33. Jeremy says:

I loved the ending, it was so tragic. I love Ozaki’s reflection on how the whole conflict was maybe kind of pointless. I think Natsuno started the fire? Also, Seishin did die, he just rose up afterwards. He became a shiki or a jinrou I don’t know which. Afterall his eyes changed. I just loved loved loved this :D

34. windy says:

I don’t quite agree with the statement that the series made it so that the characters would not attract our sympathy, actually, for me it’s the first series with vampires in it where I really managed to get a grasp on their condition and sufferings, so yes I did feel sympathy for some of them, well, true, they were not that many, but the thing is most of those for whom I couldn’t gather much sympathy and compassion for where those who were turned into vampires during the series’ time slot, because they seemed to have called for what was coming to them: Megumi eager to live some exceptional adventure and despised just all the world around her, never seeing beyond her self-interests, Masao was a selfish scary dude that didn’t care much about anything but his own person, and so on. But those who really did well in attracting our sympathy were those who were vampires from the beginning (of the show), and they’re characters that have much screen time and are particularly shining during it (just what I felt, can’t speak for others): it was first Sunako ( who really showed the pathetic condition she had been put into years ago and stressed the fact that she never asked for it , and that killing others to survive was something she despised and didn’t do just for fun ( feeding yourself out of necessity does not equal brutally murdering, it’s just called surviving), then her step-mother also said something like “ it would be great if we didn’t have to kill in order to live”, that’s what made me look at her quite differently from that moment onward, with just those two characters we can’t say it’s just “a few of them” as they are ones of the main characters, then Tatsumi, at least his devotion to Sunako was really touching, and showed his good side, testifying of him not just being a blood-thirsted monster, Toru, was also one of the characters for whom I felt really sorry, as he was from the beginning till the end a good-natured human being, and when he felt to the underground world, he suffered very deeply from his new state and condition, and his conscience was just destroying his mind, Ritsuko, the green-haired nurse, even attracted admiration and highly due respect, she never lost to her new condition and managed to stay firm against her “destructive” starvation, thanks to her strong determination and will power that guided her along the way, Seishin was a character I felt really sorry for during the whole series, he looked really miserable and sad, just as if he were carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders, experienced some tragedy , all along, then his will to remain true to what he believed in really made me admire him, it’s not like he tried to find an escape but rather to accept to accept the tragedies that build one’s fate, the two youngsters Akira and Kaori were characters we felt concerned for, all those make it a lot of characters that gathered sympathy from our side.

35. windy says:

Dynamic A: when you say “the Shiki were essentially serial killers who never TRIED anything but killing humans, and the villagers”, do you mean they had a choice, like maybe ask for human blood in hope that the others will just grant their wish and feed them periodically, because I don’t see many other alternatives.

36. windy says:

Carbuncle MIchales Jackson elliot: sooo glad to discover that I’m not the only one that actually liked Muroi and Sunako, so pleasant to have found someone that share my opinion about them!

37. Aeon says:

@WstWolf He didn’t get a chance to read your comment. Your comments were posted one minute from each other, and he was probably still typing out his long comment while you already posted yours.

38. Dynamic A says:

To windy: yes, there was a choice. If the vampire family had the sort of money to afford to buy such a lavish mansion in order to expand their group with eyes on penetrating into big cities to spread themselves, they certainly could have found ways to procure human blood outside of attacks. Aside from that, the manner in which they went about killing, with the aforementioned exceptions, showed just as much a disregard for humanity as the human villagers showed for them.

39. rob says:

I’m shocked that people actually like Sunako. She’s just a murderer who chose her own life over the countless lives she took. She’s already had about a hundred years to live, yet acts like she deserves more and keeps killing while playing the victim. Her years should have matured her to the point of knowing she was in the wrong. She didn’t even try other methods, like feeding on animals instead of people. Muroi was full of it when saying he and her were beyond Gods judgment to justify their evil acts. Both should have died, but now they’re probably going to do the same thing to another town of innocents. Sunako lost my pity when revealing how long she’s lived. How much more time and lives does she need until this selfish brat is finally satisfied?

40. Ncrdrg says:

What a finale.

Too bad Muroi and Sunako weren’t slaughtered as well. Considering some very innocent Shiki were killed, seeing a big hypocritical traitor and the worst murderess of them all come out alive is a bit disappointing.

Still, that was an amazing watch. It’s not everyday you see an anime end in such dramatic fashion.

I’m eager to see the manga’s take on all of this.

41. Whisperer says:

wow, I just have to comment here. This …really has been one of the most amazing anime series ‘ve EVER seen, alongside greats like Samurai Champloo, Baccano! or Phantom : Requiem for the Phantom. The way the creators chose not to leave us with easy answers was a sign of masterful storytelling. At first, I thought that some of the people commenting on this board were right – why didn’t Shiki just choose not to eat humans, right?
    But didn’t they become aggresive beyond the point of sanity otherwise, like Toru in one episode? (can’t remember which)
    But then again, Ritsuko seems fine with choosing not to suck blood, and she doesn’t get aggresive…so maybe the original personality counts THAT MUCH and we’re back to “some are just jerks, some are just martyrs” ideology?

Anyway, I just loved the ending. I don’t really know what to think about Sunako. Really mixed feelings about her. But I enjoyed seeing Megumi’s head get bashed by the tractor (AWESOME sendback to the first episode), I pitied Masao during the whole show (loved his character), found Toshio, Natsuno and epic beard-guy THE best anime characters (besides Yojou-han) of the year AND I nearly p***ed myself laughing at Tatsumi’s face when he saw Natsuno holding the dynamite.

Again, amazing series. Thank you, Psgels, for taking the time to review this.

42. windy says:

Ritsuko was not fine; she withstood the suffering of resisting her excessive hunger, but we were shown how much the whole process was unbearable, and she almost gave in to her urges and would probably have if Toru wouldn’t have ( on her pleading request) freed the half-dressed nurse that was locked away for her to eat. And her determination and will power are much more stronger than the rest, so we can’t expect that much from someone who’s not that strong (it’s not about being cruel, just weaker , it’s just the same with people, some maybe would have withstood their hunger and just let themselves die ( but that would be just a small amount, as conditioning and state of mind differ from one person to the other, we definitely can’t expect for them all to be the “ martyrs”, it requires much more self –relinquishing that we could possibly imagine, and we can’t except something like this from a child even more.

43. windy says:

rob: Do you think it’s that easy to kill yourself? I think she’s afraid of death and cannot inflict it to herself that easily, suicide may be easy for some people, for others it’s something they’ll never be able to do, no matter the pain or despair they’re put into. I don’t think that she pretends to have the right to live more than the years she already lived, but as her state of mind remained the one of a child, she cannot escape of fears of dying or being murdered, it’s not because we have lived a hundred years, that we can jump from a building considering we’ve lived enough, it’s the whole process of letting oneself die that scary her, but her condition doesn’t please her whatsoever, and why would human beings justify the way they hunt animals to eat , while here when a species that stands over humans appear and hunt humans, it’s such a matter for discussion, humans are their FOOD. They have to live somehow, what they do, I don’t see that as any crueler than hunters who go hunting, knowing they can live on tomatoes and rice, actually the second appears more cruel to me, the shiki don’t have any other means of survival, humans in our century do. That’s why I don’t understand why it appears cruel to you all. From our standpoint it may look like it, but from theirs it’s definitely not. But one thing that I didn’t grasp, once the shiki would have changed the whole lot of villagers into shiki or corpses, what would they have done next, would they have attracted passers-by to provide them with blood, cause it would be certainly more convenient to stroll around the village, but they wouldn’t have any food left.

44. Whisperer says:

@windy, I saw the scenes between Toru and Ritsuko more like “Toru is trying to get this girl to commit sin so he can validate his own decisions”. Toru was the weak one, not her. Sure, you can analyze it all you want, but the bottom line is Toru gave in, Ritsuko didn’t. Different principles.
    Like Natsuno himself put it, the shiki started it first. Everything else is the humans reacting, the shiki reacting to a human chain-reaction, etc.

Of course, the humans are mostly hypocrites, like epic beard-guy shouting about rules to Sunako when he himself killed the hypnotized people, but he wouldn’t have had to resort to that if it weren’t for the shiki stealth-game. And let’s face it, Seishin’s parents & innocent temple people dying is a result of his own refusal to act. Seishin was a tragic “hero”, but his story was nihilism at its best : he was so afraid to act because he didn’t want to face the consequences. In the end he got innocent people killed because of that and he acted twice, once to save himself and once to save Sunako, becoming a double-killer (according to his own life views, because he still isn’t a “killer” to me).

45. windy says:

I never said that Ritsuko was weak; I said she was, on the opposite, the strongest character of the show, and I emphasized it, as she has the determination and willpower to resist her hunger!!! The weak one, I thought I made it clear in my comment, is of course and without a doubt Toru (I just said he was good-natured but also very weak, actually I saw him as the weakest character of the series!) I just said he was not evil but definitely weak, I completely agree with that and I exposed all this in my comment, you just misunderstood it. Where in my comment did you read that I called RITSUKO weak?! Come on, it’s the strongest character of the whole series, and I said that I admired that willpower and self-sacrifice of hers, and that not many people if faced with the same circumstances would react in the same admirable way. I hope now all is clear!

46. windy says:

And also to all those who claim that Seishin didn’t act, what do you mean, he should have taken arms and turned the village upside down to eliminate each and every shiki he ambushes. I don’t think that true action is necessarily something you do with your hands, but maybe more something you think out well and tend to follow, he wasn’t inactive or useless during the series, but his actions were those of his heart and soul, his mind was always at work and would think everything through and analyzing it, for me, he’s one of those characters who shined by his spiritual conception oh what was happening around him, he took action, but he did according to his own beliefs and ideals, and not just so he could merge in with the flow of villagers going on a rampage against the shiki and slaughtering them without an ounce of mercy. Actually, his actions were not devoid of meaning but were quite effective in their own way, not the slightest bit more inconsistent that those of the villagers, what those did, they took their weapons and slaughtered as much as they could, spilled and spilled again blood, becoming even more frightening that the shiki they feared.

47. Iryne says:

I really wished Sunako and Seishin would just stay inside the burning chapel/church. Sotoba is rotten and it was the Shiki’s who brought it out. The instigator was Sunako. When I saw Seishin drove away into the National Highway that finality feeling is lost.

Also Natsuno should have gotten more screentime. He played a vital role in the Shiki’s extermanation… but at the end his inclusion seems almost like an afterthought. Pity.

48. Nayrael says:

Animators didn’t want to screw up by giving him too much anime-original screentime… and we all know how it ends when you are too enthusiastic with fillers.

(anime took Light Novel ending and in Light novels, Natsuno stayed dead. Manga, which turned him into a Shiki, will probably give him a better role later on)

49. Whisperer says:

windy, I am saying that I pretty much agree with Toshio re: the line “A stupid decision, worthy of Seishin”. Seishin blabbers on and on about the “intent to kill”, but when it counts, he completely realises that somehow, his siding with Sunako could count (even by his standards) as intent to kill towards the villagers.
    And “true action”? He pretty much did nothing except talking to Sunako at night and refusing to agree with everything Toshio said during the day. Not to mention the pivotal scene where Toshio, his old friend, calls him to help him clean up his wife’s “remains”. He fails to see Toshio as a man who’s sacrificed so much for everyone’s sake (albeit for revenge as well, crossing the moral event horizon), and just…turns around and leaves, looking like he had a BSOD. Yes, I know Toshio’s wife was “new” and she had no knowledge of the “rules”, but it’s not murder if there’s no LIVING being, and that thing on the table WASN’T his loved one anymore. I find THAT lesson a valuable one if the zombie/vampire/blah apocalypse ever comes. Without people like Toshio, humanity would be wiped out. Sometimes, you have to act against your principles. The rest is just…talk.

50. windy says:

Seishin didn’t help Toshio because he was against the whole idea of the massacre, why would he help his friend doing something that is the fruit and right consequence of it. I don’t picture someone who’s against those killings, just swiftly obey his friend whose behaviors he sees as pointless and outrageous and help him in his machinations, which would make him look like a hypocrite of his own ideals. But, well, something that also has to be taken into consideration is that Seishin wanted to free himself of his fate as a monk at the villagers’ service, and for once he managed to return his sleeves and choose his own destiny, and that alone is action enough. But well, , maybe his decision was also influenced by his grudge against the villagers, that’s quite possible, his character is more complex than what it looks like anyway, it would have been great to read those novels, maybe some complementary answers could be found about all this. Oh, and well, for the “living” part you’re mentioning, you have to admit that first they can’t be considered as dead; they didn’t become corpses and second they have red blood in their veins and most of all a mind and a brain that is working and they also susceptible of feeling emotions ( remember Sunako when she cried over Shizuru’s tragic ending), all this makes them more than just a bunch of soul-less corpses, that’s why it is murder even if this notion may seem not to apply to the case, it’s definitely is, considering it otherwise is just a way to deturn from the despicable truth.

51. mousoukyoku says:

What’s shown in the ending is not an actual preview. This time the Japanese beneath only means ‘A few days later’. As much as I liked the ending and the series as a whole I’m still looking forward to those DVD specials though.

52. rob says:

Windy:cowardice doesn’t justify one’s actions. Sunako was scared of dying and took countless lives as a result. She is in no way correct. Death is all a monster like that deserves. Btw how is there no other alternative for food? The shiki can’t try getting blood from animals? If that wasn’t possible, they could at least resort to feeding once off a person and then traveling somewhere else, or even take blood from a blood bank. It would certainly be inconvenient, but that’s better than being a murderer. You say humans are crueler since they don’t need to eat meat, but at least some are willing to be vegeterians. The shiki didn’t even try. There wasn’t one instance of them thinking they could survive off the blood of something other than human.

53. windy says:

You speak about murder, but for the shiki killing humans is not considered as murder. The same way that humans who kill animals don’t think they committed murder, that’s why our views diverge I guess. You speak about murder, it’s a term people use to define the killing of those who stand on an equal footing with them, if not the humans who kill other species are also murderers and those who take profit of it are just the same. If the shiki were killing their own kind, then that would be murder and condemned, but they actually care for their kind and community, Sunako did, that doesn’t make her a monster, human people care in the same way for their community, and if they found themselves on an isolated island with no other means of survival than to hunt, some would not, but the great majority of the people concerned would take their weapons and hunt for their own good, not thinking one second – that it’s something that should be highly condemned and that their moral principles should lead them towards the way of starvation. But ironically, the view people generally have is way different: they would rather take them for heroes who managed to remain alive and those would be filled with a feeling of satisfaction to have survived. It is the same for the shiki and humans, it’s not murder as humans are inferior to them (as they eat them, and no, I don’t even think they could eat other species, I think that’s a newly provided version of vampires who can live on animal blood, originally that was not the case, but this could also be considered as murder, as humans – or other animals, they would all stand at the same line of the alimentary chain, so what difference would it make to them? That’s why I don’t really understand your views on Sunako. And she’s not a coward, she has the mind of, okay not that little, but still of a little girl, and it is quite normal for children to fear death without them being considered as cowards, one of humans’ primitive instincts. But one thing is certain is that Sunako was once a human, so yes, it must have been difficult for her to kill them at first, but then she reached the stage where compassion can no more be admitted if not “ then you should hate and kill yourself”, if she was filled with the feeling of remorse each time she had to kill some people she wouldn’t have survived for that long, I think that’s one of her qualities Tatsumi admired the most, her perseverance to go forward and not fade away and not just to resign herself and die.

54. Invitan says:

People, the reason why the shikis did not go to a big city and only suck blood from people instead of killing them is because Sunako wanted to turn an entire secluded town into a town of shikis. Sunako wanted company – that’s all. She wanted to walk in the town freely without having to caution against others. For her own selfish reason, she resorted to commit massacre of the humans, while actually she did not have to go that far to survive. In the end, she was no more than a hypocritical murderer, and I agree that she shouldn’t have survived.

55. Dynamic A says:

Philosophically, mentally, and morally, there is a huge difference between killing animals for food and killing humans.

If an intelligent, sentient alien species with culture, emotions, rationality, etc landed on this planet and just so happened to taste delicious when slathered in BBQ sauce and popped on the barbie, it would be wrong to eat them.

I know you may argue that the above point is a strawman, but consider that in vampire literature since Stoker there have been numerous examples of vampire subcultures and groups that found other means to attain human blood to sate their uncontrollable hunger aside from murder. A group with as many seeming connections as Sunako’s certainly could have tried other avenues, but for their own, very SELFISH reasons, they chose to massacre, manipulate, and depopulate an entire village of people.

-DA

56. windy says:

Yes, completely right, Sunako wanted company, to forget her loneliness. Shizuru also wanted a village where they could be “at home”, they could walk around freely and have fun, without standing out, just among other shiki ( also that will transformed into it for that purpose, those who will be the “ chosen ones”), completely agree that they moved into the village not only for getting fresh blood, Sunako wanted more company and friends, comrades and allies.

57. windy says:

But I disagree with the rest, and it’s just humans’ subjective thoughts, that human community and society established: that to murdering human beings is a sin, from a more objective perspective, nothing makes stands us apart from animals ( just because human people has a more developed brain doesn’t make them untouchable god-like species) I mean in our society, what you stated above is totally true and I agree with that but it’s just a universal principle because we never experienced some other laws that could have been established and torn down ours . We only know it because humanity established that inviolable rule and carved it into stone, but for any other community that would elevate themselves above us, that’s completely irrelevant and meaningless. But well the great thing with that series is that everyone sees it differently, and I can see what you mean even if my view on the matter differs.

58. windy says:

But I guess some of us stand out for Sunako because she mesmerized us with her vampire spell!
    I mean if everything she said was just an act, then we fell right into her snare, but I don’t know why, but I believe that everything she said was true, that everything she said to Tooru or Muroi san were her genuine feelings and not just self-justification or made up story, and what I heard from her story really made me see her with different eyes and sympathize with her, like that innocent side of her personality and feel really sorry for her ( despite everything she did or more appropriately “planned”, as she organized the whole strategy behind the curtains), and no she didn’t deserve to die, that’s what I think at least, and I was glad to see she didn’t ( I guess the author who wrote the story ( I guess it followed the original story, isn’t it? If it was the anime-original ending, then “the creators”), also couldn’t bring himself (themselves?) to inflict to her a tragic ending!)

59. Cher says:

or just because she’s a loli. The stupid priest falls into a loli trap. The same goes to many viewers.

Seriously, her ending is stupid.

But more stupid is people who think that killing pigs is the same as killing human.

60. Alex says:

Urgh whenever I read windy’s comments I get more and more confused about what he/she perceives. All I see is “blah blah blah I’m right cause my view is always correct” -_-

Personally I do think that Sunako is somewhat pitiable, but that does not justify her actions. Sure, she’s a child, but it is only her body that is a child’s. Her mind has obviously fully matured (her try-to-act-emo-and-poetic way of speaking is very telling) and she has lived longer than any wise human being. What I disliked about her is that she does not show any signs of regret. I mean, c’mon, it shows how much of a self-centered bitch she is! She always says that she doesn’t want to kill people but in the end it’s really all about herself and that she wants to live. IMO she didn’t deserve to live. Dying is obviously a scary thought, I don’t deny, anyone would be scared shitless at the thought of a stake being driven through their heart, but we are all human right? As humans,wouldn’t you be afraid of a vampire raid? Losing your loved ones one by one. Isn’t that scary? Nao-chan’s scenario told us that it was all very cruel. She killed her family in promise that they would rise up and become one of them, but they didn’t rise, so all those deaths were for nothing. She became a murderer, there and then. And it’s all for her own selfish desire to convert her entire family into Shikis to join her. Just like what Sunako intended to do to the whole village of “nakama”(s)

I agree with Natsu when he said that what he did not like was the fact that shiki did as they pleased, reviving people and claiming them as their own kind. SELFISH BITCHES! The okiagari villagers were coerced to consent feeding on their friends and neighbours, in which Tatsumi justified their actions as survival. If they didn’t follow suit, they wouldn’t fit in anywhere! Even Megumi (whom is everyone’s biggest enemy O.O) expressed her desire for freedom from the Kirishikis. Before her big escape she exclaimed, “I no longer have a master” while looking at the Kirishiki’s mansion. Sunako wasn’t creating a village man, she was creating a ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE! Kiddin. But IMO, it just isn’t right. (Poor Toru and Rit-chan)

What the villagers did was not right, but in a way it was retaliation. What, would it be better if they lined up and let the shiki kill them off one by one? Sure, they were cruel blahblahblah. But it was just the shiki extermination scenes that were epic gory. If there was an easier was to kill shiki, say something like french kissing them would put them to a painless sleep, I’m sure that the humans would have done so. All the talk about them being too brutal, bullshit, its called SURVIVAL. The shikis killed the humans to survive, so humans kill shikis to survive. Now, what’s wrong with the picture?

** Oh and I agree that Muroi was just an emo bastard who was utterly useless. Poetic my ass. He was fosure emo!

61. Potato says:

It so heat up here…

I do agree that whatever reasons are, they do not justified for the Shikis’ action of killing people (including Sunako). After all, it is a matter of choice. Everyone makes their choice and he/she should take full responsibility to his/her choice.

I do agree this is all about the battle of survival, but it is for either the Shikis and the human.
    Many people say that they should suck animal blood. However, isn’t the point here they will die without human blood? Try to steal blood from the blood bank? Common guy, it is not that easy. The security of all blood bank would increase to catch the thieves, will it not?

I do agree with Sunako is so selfish, but I disagree with the fact that she is an adult.

Sunako is a child, both physical and mental. Once she stopped aging, her physical body (of course including the brain) would stop growing. Living a long life and reading tons of book can not make her brain develop into the full mature brain of a adult. And so, I agree with what Windy talk about Sunako.

Finally, I do believe everyone in this anime deserve a chance to life, not death.

62. windy says:

Alex: For one, I didn’t say my view was right, I just exposed my opinion on the matter, and I also said that the most amazing thing with this series is that it is up to everyone to interpret it as they see fit. My intention was definitely not to preach some sermons on the matter, and it up to your own judgment to interpret it one or another way, I didn’t impose my views just defended them. I also said that I did understand other points on this subject. I also didn’t really like the way Tatsumi was manipulating the villagers (probably on Sunako’s orders, but I somehow got the impression that it was Tatsumi’s own way of dealing with things, but I guess it was for her orders as he complied with one and every of her command), once they were just turned into shiki, it was an awful act of emotional manipulation, and the way they were forced to attack the people they were close to ( Tooru was forced to attack Natsuno for not letting his own family die), actually I found it quite terrible and disturbing in its own way, even Megumi’s feelings for Natsuno( the only thing that made me sympathize with her) were used to manipulate her for their own benefits and needs, and I don’t advocate it. I just somehow tried to understand their side and managed in doing so, because well, just what I think eh, just like human community wants to expand and build out a village, the same goes for them, actually after years of solitude, it is quite normal for them to wish for more company and friends, because humans also tend to organize their lives in a community and not just live alone on an isolated from the whole social world place. I think they longed for it to, and I don’t think we have the right to judge them as monsters just because their own established laws or principles don’t correspond to our way of viewing things (transposed in the same situation, we don’t actually know what we would have become, human morals don’t really apply here, but yet again it is just one way of seeing things, not an absolute truth whatsoever. I see their actions as a way of surviving both concretely by drinking human’s blood, and also surviving to their unjust state of loneliness, rejection and abandonment. I don’t think that we’re in any position to judge them without ever experiencing what they have experienced for more than a hundred years!!! We also don’t know anything about those years and what happened in details (I mean we could interpret that as we want), they could have tried to be accepted by humans, could have tried to seek other means of survival than sucking human’s blood ( I guess they had plenty of time for that and don’t think they’re so stupid!), actually we know really little about them ( too little) to direct any sharp judgment, that’s how I see it. And totally agree with Potato, that what was mentioned above on what they could do other than attacking humans is not just as simple as it seems, firstly because even if they’re rich, they don’t have the control over the human world to provide them with any blood they need from the blood bank, secondly I don’t think that the human people would agree on sharing their blood with others ( some would of course but others may not have agreed on that, sometimes humans can be just as selfish, besides there’s also the question of solitude that is not to be excluded). Also agree with Potato that it is the battle for survival for both sides, and everyone does things according to their own principles, feelings and choices, as well as with the fact that Sunako is selfish, I don’t say otherwise (but what would you expect from a rich ojo-sama raised in a wealthy western-styled mansion with her parents and servants to comply with every of her whims or needs! She’s quite ego-centric indeed! But also yes, immature in her mind, as it didn’t develop past the stage it was in where her former self was obliterated to give way to her present state.

63. windy says:

And also well said Potato, that “everyone in this anime deserves a chance to live”, that’s exactly what I think too.

64. Afrim says:

I don’t know if I’ve been so frustrated with an anime, well this episode specifically. THAT STAKE SHOULD HAVE GONE INSIDE SUNAKO. But no, that shiki helper, Muroi, goes and ruins the ending. It was so dissapointing that he kills the man about to finish off Sunako.

And even prior to that, this man kills Muroi’s family because he thinks they’re collaborators? That was too much. I know it got a bit crazy, but the villagers didn’t lose it completely to kill off innocent women and whatnot.

Not to mention, that the ending where a vampire in a suitcase is being escorted by a human is not the first one I’ve seen.

Sunako should have been killed, or should have decided to stay in that fire and die, or maybe join the jinro’s in that pit.

65. Tony says:

I’m interested by the intensity of the feelings this series aroused, and I’d like to give my own point of view on it.

First of all, I think that if we want to take the story seriously at all, we must be able to feel some sympathy for the situation of the shiki, and we must be willing to see moral dilemmas both in what the shiki must do to survive, and what the townspeople who are still alive must do to survive. It is clear that the story asks us to do both of these things. We can simply reject the story completely, and say that it has failed to make a convincing case for these basic points; but then there is no point in arguing about what should or should not happen; we are simply saying that the story is not coherent enough to be worth thinking about.

For that reason, I feel that inventing “nice” alternative ways for the shiki to survive is evading the issue. The story may or may not have made a strong enough case for this, but we are clearly intended to accept as a premise that the shiki must kill in order to survive. If we don’t accept this premise, then the story is a kind of gratuitous exercise in horror, with little to distinguish it from a slasher film whose only purpose is to frighten us.

Similarly, if we feel that no matter what choices they face, the shiki must simply reject killing humans because it is evil, and any of them who fail to do so are not worthy of any consideration, then the story has failed for us. Its main distinction from other stories of the undead is that the undead do retain their personality characteristics from their previous life, unlike the mindless killers the undead become in most zombie stories. Tooru is obviously intended to be a likable character when alive, so if we simply dismiss him by condemning his weakness and saying that he should be as strong as Ritsuko once he is undead, we are refusing to take the story seriously.

Finally, if we refuse to accept the possibility of the humans becoming an unattractive, bloodthirsty mob in the process of stopping the shiki from killing them off, then we are evading the point of the story. I have to admit I found the exaggerated bloodthirstiness unconvincing and manipulative; the shiki could as easily have been killed by forcing them to remain exposed to daylight, or by using the power that religious artifacts have over them. One can argue that the stakes were actually a form of kindness, since they killed quickly rather than subjecting the shiki to an extended and very painful death from exposure to light, and I think this was the intent of the author; but all that gore splashing around still feels manipulative to me. Once again, however, if one is to take the story seriously at all, one must accept the gore as necessary.

There is one element of the story which I am surprised no one has mentioned: the Cain and Abel story Seishin is writing, and the attempts of the author to draw parallels to this story. One can dismiss this as pretentious window-dressing, with no real substance; but it seems to me that if we do not take it seriously, then we are again rejecting the story completely.

This is already far too long, so I won’t add my own personal interpretations of what moral choices the author is asking us to come to grips with. I would be interested, though, in other people who have written comments here starting with these basic assumptions and seeing what they make of the story if we give it the benefit of the doubt and accept them as premises.

66. windy says:

I’ve also come to realize somehow that the story Seishin was writing echoed with the main story of the series, however I’m not so sure of the interpretations that could be made out of it, first I tried to lay a comparison between Seishin and Toshio, the divergence in the choices they made seemed to be somehow the result of their contrasting feelings about what’s happening and the means to employ in order to bring the chaotic situation to an end. But then, Seishin started to talk about how the brother Cain actually killed was no one else but himself, what I would be inclined to think is that he was talking about his own attitude towards life, fate and the condition of a human being, split apart between the duties that have been bestowed upon him and his desire to break those chains, and in order to break free he has to kill his former self, as if he doesn’t, he will be forced to remain a prisoner of his own existence, that may be why it is looked as a necessity of “survival”, a survival in accordance with his beliefs and choices. But we may also look at it from a religious standpoint, as in mythology , Cain was also forced to follow the instructions of God, and live according to God’s rules (and not feel any jealousy for his brother Abel), never taking into account his own emotions or feelings, denying and rejecting them ( here, Seishin is also a priest, was forced to be according to rules and customs of his family, he had to follow his tasks ( and obeying God, without God ever replying to his prayers, and he must have been extremely despaired at one point of his life if he tried to put an end to his own life, Sunako was rejected the same way, even if she didn’t desire to become a creature of the night, she was forced into it and God never answered any of her prayers , and rejected her, that’s what may have made Seishin realize that in our life we have to live ourselves and help ourselves without relying on Divine providence that supposedly is to be listen and obeyed but actually can do nothing in the existence we lead, cannot change the conditions of our existence or protect us from the external world we live in. Then again, there must be an infinite variety of interpretations for that story.

67. Immelman says:

All your comments are very long. To make things short, there’s only one thing the author wants to say: humans are self centered, and bad by nature. As Tonio said, shikis kept their memories and human nature, they aren’t just some brainless zombies. They are human, undead but human. You can replace the villagers by Palestinians and the Israeli by shikis. You can empathize with both side, both have valuable arguments, but they can’t coexist because they have opposite way of living. That’s what humans are.

68. Kat says:

Yes, that’s rights. The point is to show the cruel game that has been played over and over again. No right or wrong. The groups didn’t mix and there is was no way to resolve it. Anyways eating meat and fish does seem cruel. Eating veggie is too. Oh just because they have no nerves ( or do they), it is okay to rip leaves off of plants to eat. But well every living thing deserves to survive. Another message in this is to take what you need and be a little more compassionate. Lions kill each other for territory. We people just have more power. We can do more harm than other animals. We need to show restraint, or end up like the shiki ( that’s being harsh but yeah).

@Anon: Lol I love B-movie type stuff, because the rules are off.
I was the only person who watched Mazinkaiser skl and shin mazinger and skullman.
Anonymous2026379
@Kaiser Takeshi Koike really wanted to really sell it as a grindhouse feature and I ate that shit up; I really dug the tone he was going for.
@Anon: It was strange seeing that Goemon short, much as I enjoyed it, thats the goriest I seen lupin get.
Anonymous2026379
Megalo box is pure retro while lupin is a mix of old and new...and you're right; people just think they can't jump right into it. But that's why more people should be talking about it; to let the masses know that you don't need a starting point to get into the Lupin franchise
I'm a massive fan of the devilman manga and I thought devilman crybaby was better than it.
Anonymous2026379
90's-esque throwback feeling shows like lupin and megalo box have been giving me
Anonymous2026379
Luoin part 5 is definitely mixing the best of new and old. Honestly, I've been having a blast with it as well as this generally 90
I think the problem is, people see lupin as this long thing they can't get into, when really its so episodic/standalone mostly you can pick up and watch.
And of course getting the best bits out of old and new.
*visual style
I'm a fan of this hybrid old and new style, megalobox does it too, mine fujiko aswell and casshern sins.
I was surprised by how well the Fujiko mine show came together in the end.
I'll be interested in picking up more facts about thrm.
Come think of it, Akira Kurosawa did some old western (eastern?) in Russian, that had an Ainu in it.
Anonymous2026379
Asirpa is sooooo adorable.....almost feels patronizing to say that about her due to how badass she is
Anonymous2026379
What makes Fujiko work so well as this sexy icon is that she isn't just sexy: she's smart as shit and uses that sexiness to dominate and control her opponents (similar to bayonetta) rather than be chained by the objectification of her opponents (and the viewers for that matter)
Anonymous2026379
I wonder what other obscure cameos we may get this season. And yea you're right about some of Lupin's potentially sexist traits being assuaged by his level of cool and the genuine respect he shows a good deal of the women he has encountered throughout the series
@Anon: Yet still a fun film at the same time.
Anonymous2026379
@Kaiser Yea, mamo was a pretty dark element introduced to the lupin franchise; and considering the tone of the gravestone of Jigen, it makes sense he would cameo there
@Mario: Help I want to kidnap Asirpa =<
@Anon: I'm probably as surprised as you, at finding someone to talk to about Lupin on here.
@Anon: And through comparing/contrasting the jigen grave stone and Fujiko mine, with some of the sillier older ones, it shows the Lupin characters are flexible enough to work both in a darker AND sillier context.
*character
@Anon: Fujiko is precisely how a fanservicey character should work and how built in/essential it is to her haracter, without becoming an irritant.
@Anon: By all means Lupin himself shouldn't be a character we like, much like Bond, but like Bond theres a coolness to the character that allows us to love him.
@Anon: Another great thing about Lupin is how it uses its 60s cool to get away with what would normally probably be considered fairly sexist.
@Anon: I had a big smile on my face when Mamo made a cameo appearance at the end of one of the recent ones and thats because I remember the Lupin Mamo movie was one of those first anime that I watched about 20 years aago.
Anonymous2026379
not to mention that its one of the few anime this season that actually knows how to utilize dialogue to explore flesh out its characters rather than exposition or contrivance: looking at you darling in the franxx
Anonymous2026379
@Kaiser-Eoghan Nice fun facts; but yea Lupin III is a series that has always had an amazing sense of pacing and adventure, traits that are definitely on display this season
@Anon: Its a huge franchise too so I'm often never sure where to go next.
@Anon: You may or may not know this, but the voice actor for solid snake voiced Lupin in one of the dubs.
@Anon: I watched a few episodes of the Italy set lupin show too .
Its a fun franchise due to its cast but its something I have to follow irregularly, lest it get repetitive.
@Anon: Fun fact, guy who directed the gold of babylon film was a famous B-movie noir director in the 60s.
Dont trust anything written by the original SAO author. Everything is his fault. Kirito is not in this series.
Even the original SAO author has little to do with it, which is why its actually good
So SAO Alt is basically completely removed from the rest of SAO
@Anon: Lupin is one of those things I dip in and out of, whatever part of the franchise it is. I've seen birdcage kingdom, Mamo, cagliostro, nostradamus, Jigens grave stone, mine fujiko and the recent Goemon centred special.
Anonymous2026379
it's a damn shame not a lot of ppl are talkig about/watching lupin the third this season
But for all I know with that team behind it, its an improvement, but theres probably not much point in me watching as I dropped the first season after less than 10 episodes.
See how he attempts to seduce me into watching something related to sword art.
Huh... I didnt know the writer for SAO Alt was written by the Kino's Journey creator and produced by the Flip Flappers people. Explains a lot
I wish I knew what you meant by shaman girls, and I cant wait
@Lenlo, Oh I know Leskinen. May he find his Japanese Shaman girls one day. But seeing as I know the story I wanna experience it differently.
@Mario: Its even set in hokkaido, Korean/Japanese director, Japanese cast, Ken Watanabe is in it: https://letterboxd.com/film/unforgiven-2013/
Also, I love the ED. Really, 2 episodes in, I love S;G all over again.
@Kaiser: really? They remade Unforgiven in Japanese?
its*
Like... is good.
But your missing out on the cult of Leskinen. The engrish is actually one of my favorite parts
@Lenlo, Meanwhile I am happily waiting for the dub.
Dangit... I have to wait another week for Steins;Gate 0 now. I cant do this.
@Mario: The Japanese remake of unforgiven had ainu people in it.
Anonymous2025797
Also I wonder if budget is distributed according to the director, some animes will spend more in the first episode. Some will spend more in the last ones. It's subjective, but if it's like all business it is looking for the better result at the minimum expense. Hence why I believe Berserk was made the way it did.
Anonymous2025797
@Kaiser-Eoghan - Ideally a story should be as long as it needs. But reality seems that a number of episodes is decided before production. And so you either have to stretch or cut material. Kinda like that 300 page manga of Les Miserables, is simply unfeasible translating that book into that few pages.
Oberstein was a great character.
I actually feel Aidan can do a good job on it. Sometimes been too exposed to the material may lead to clouded eyes.
Though I'm surprised by how I unexpectedly laughed at wotaku, I do wonder if later on it will include any slight drama elements to sustain interest.
OMO; OBERsteins; Gate =P
From watching episode 2 of golden kamuy, yeah, the source material definitely is lifting this.
I'm going to have to wait and see on steins; gate 0, it is encouraging to here this might be darker , at the same time I remember having to sit through too much goofy humour in the first one.
I was actually surprised, that, while rare, there were some moments of humour, that lightened it for me.
Throughout the entire series I expected Oberstein to pull some inevitable double cross. And was shocked when he never did.
@Kaiser: Agree with Oberstein. I think antagonists are es important as the mains in fiction and I loved this guy, he's perfect for series like these.
Galactic heroes was an example of where when watching it, when big death scenes occured, I would make noooooo and shouting noises at the screen while clenching my fist.
I love characters like Oberstein, shrewd, clever, but done right to where I can believe it, not characters like, say Lelouch .
I'd be concerned if the new galactic heroes series skimps on the violence, that kind of thing needs to be in there, in most shows/films and shown to be explicit, consequences need to be shown.
*about, not with
Sadly, most original 2+ cours series I know feel dragged whereas many 1 cours originals could have needed ~3 more episodes. Talking with series that have an actual plot of course.
I really like the 13 episodes thingy for originals but I wish there would be more 26 episodes series, especially for adaptions.
@Kaiser: I agree. Nothing kills my interest faster than formularic episodes and repetition.
In general I think 50 episodes would be the most I'd watch for an anime, 39 seems ideal.
Or worse and the romance drama is the main plot and it's Kiznaiver all over again, while the rest is just flavor to make the romances more forced since they're the MCs are only teens and such. Dunno but I can never bring myself to care about this kind of stuff.
Though better 110 episodes of galactic heroes than a long shounen that just repeats itself.
Speaking of recent episodes, I unironically thing that FranXX's world (building) is pretty interesting (although I hope those klaxxosaurusses will be more than just random cannon fodder) but I doubt the series will ever get to the main plot again the next time.
Same here. It was really the only time I did this. I am usually exhausted by just thinking about marathoning long series. It's the reason why I won't get into FMP for the new series either. LotGH was an exception since I found it easily to watch for some reason.
Man, just image burning through 110 episodes of it and my spirit fades away
Watched that whole series ages ago.
Just watched the first three Neue These episodes and I surprinsingly liked it. Thought I would hate it due to being an OVA fan, and I still prefer the old designs by far but overall it's pretty good. I think I might even prefer this version of the first battle, but I have to rewatch the old one I guess.
Also while I can't remember which episode, Yang picks up a book with the author of the series' name on it.
Arslan feels so lightweight by contrast/comparison.
And I think, given your knowledge KTtravlos, that a series review of the new galactic heroes season would probably benefit from you writing it.
I bring up the music in my earlier comment, because I can understand your reservations regarding the music choice in the remake.
And certainly one of those shows, that going back to the first episode after finishing, gives a strong perspective just on how evolving the series was.
*despite me not
Despite not being monarchist , because the characters were human moreso than cartoon characters I couldn't hate on Reinhard.
@Travlos: I suppose by the time it got to Julian's arc, I was surprised they were still bothering to fight but the fact that they were essentially the last bastion of their beliefs made it special.
@Travlos: Sometimes when I just finish a show, its a case where I HAVE to jump online immediately after and excitedly ramble out an essay on it.
niello
ugh democracy
@Kaiser ultimately LOGH for me was a decisive point in my political life, as I think it made the best defense of democracy in any form I have seen. And it worked partly because the opponent was presented in the best possible incarnation (Rienhard). Yang's continued adherence to democracy, despite recongising its flaws, helped me avoid a personal descent into authoritarian politics.
@Kaiser. I am happy you had a good experience. I watched the prequels a while after the main show and I was happy because it was great getting back to those characters. The prequels were also great in fleshing the setting and the characters. So yes, take your time and a break. That way the prequels will be like visiting a place you liked again after a while.
@KTtravlos: I have some other stuff to get through before watching the galactic heroes prequel though =<
YES according to discord poster I'm not a millenial!
Sorry for overposting. I have always always being an incredibly verbose person.
@Vonter; Not that I oppose captilistically made for a buck cinema, it can be entertaining yes, but I set a standard.
@Vonter: As open as I am to trash cinema, I consider the resident evil films, like the superhero ones, anti-art.
I can understand why people don't like Villier, but he did I think work as a device to add extra tension.
I feel some release at finishing but at the same time sadness at saying goodbye to the show and its characters.
, showing its age.
But for something of this length, it kept itself up far better than most long shows and I feel the length its somewhat justified.

On another note….as corny as the third ending theme is, I got the feels listening to it.
But while the first 50 odd episodes were an easy job for me aswell as all of the 4th season and some of the late 3rd season made it difficult for me to pull myself away from it, the dialogue even though often well observed did become difficult to follow at times and somewhere in the middle theres a stretch of episodes, bar some moments that feel a bit of an endurance test and the animation is at
Its attention to detail I felt was at its strongest in the documentary and the series dedication to filling the view in on its world building/fictional history.
I admired the scope, ambition of this series and the battles eventually grew on me and I was surprised by just how visceral the melee combat got which suited me perfectly. At the same time for all the strategy and action, I found myself more in it for the story, characters and intrigue/politicking. Those battles, due in part to their music choices, had an epic feel to them
In the end the characters stood out for me the best were Reinhard, Oberstein (for being essentially the amazing man with the plan), Reuntal, Kircheis and Rubinsky, I warmed up to Julian, Yang and Schenkop. When important deaths occurred, they felt highly dramatic, in four cases emotionally effecting for me .
Also, KTtravlos, thank you for pushing me toward watching the original legend of the galactic heroes, my opinion on the series is largely a mixed one, but by the end I felt I’d watched something rewarding and I’m happy its crossed off my list and I should have gotten round to it sooner.
I'm probably the oldest here, being 32. Which apparently makes me around Yang-wenli's age, which according to someone means I'm middle aged .
To the discord guy who brought it up, its difficult not for me to be political, my father was an activist and is a Marxist , I ended up becoming a contradiction a semi-agnostic, but spiritually inclined/tolerant socialist with internationalist ideology.
@Aidan: Ends in very cliffhanger/abrupt indy way though and the things weakness/how to kill thems too easy.
@Aidan: I liked how it explains nothing also and the creature design and how it visual communicates to the audience.
@Aidan: While I won't say anything, a character death is handled in what I considered a schmaltzy manner. There is a particularly headscratching decision the characters make that you'll either rationalize or hate, but it leads to one of the tenser set pieces later on.
@Aidan: Quiet place has a good idea at its backbone, that they use sign language in the film to communicate and occassional whispers adds to it, it and the silence allows for a mood to be effectively communicated. It does have jump scares, I wasn't annoyed by them, but I never felt the film required them.
@Aidan: I read the discord, if you ever need to ask a question relating to film, come to me about it, I will without fail be able to answer 9 times out of 10.
I was adequately amused by the first episode of wotaku, but found the male lead funnier, which I'm attributing to him be more deadpan.
We found a convient weekend for everyone
*watching
I would also float the idea of recommendation podcasts every now and then.
I will listen to the podcast more in full later. But I was surprised after asking/suggesting it on the discord, that it came so soon.
I am thinking of re-watching gasaraki and ai yori aoshi.
@Niello: Perhaps after a while of watch the anime I will simply jump on to the manga.
I watched Resident Evil: Vendetta yesterday. It's incredible dumb but kind of fun. I do wonder if in terms of entertainment are like the best videogame based movies. Since it plays like a videogame, it's based on a videogame and is more or less in line with the tone the series has had for a while.
niello
It's such a shame that Golden Kamuy art direction is such a train wreck.
and for the sake of Clausewitz there is clinical term for what Reinhard did. It is called "defeat in detail". Napoleon was a master of it. Proper way to defeat it , is to order the threatened force to retreat to a point where other allied forces are converging. The enemy will either have to retreat, or fight at a disadvantage. The 1813 and 1814 campaigns against Napoleon are examples of that.
Episode 2 of LOGGH: Der Neue Thesis was much better than the first. The music is still an issue, but Yang was well portrayed. I do think there is lack of the directors in showing the cruelty of war, like the first one did. We will see.
@Mario: Still need to see his short films and black Peter.
@Anon: I already know the manga and enjoy it, think the anime is a good adaption so far. Feels good to see a series about video games that are actually just games and romance without tsunderes, tons of blushing or unworldly naive harem girls.
Anonymous2016456
the anime
Anonymous2016456
how do you guys think of wotakoi?
@Kaiser: Hereditary sounds pretty promising here
Forman's an interesting case, when you look at the huge disconnect from his early films from the 60s and then what he went on to make.
Ah, unfortunately I am not a fan of country music so Nashville didn't appeal to me =<
@Mario: And before Jack kept playing the same role over and over.
@Mario: Aside from Courtney Love's presence, Larry Flynt is an excellent film. I love the custom camera tricks Kubrick used in Lyndon , dog day afternoon suceeded for me because it did so much more than being just a bank rob film. I wish Spielberg would return to his pre-90s films .
Cuckoo's Nest reminds me of the great 1975 Oscar Best Picture, which for me was Oscar's greatest line-up. The line-ups for that year were: Cuckoo Nest (winner), Nashville, Barry Landon, Dog Day Afternoon and Jaws
@Kaiser: RIP the man. I've seen 2 of his, Amadeus and Cuckoo Nest. Both great but they were more because of the strength of the source
@Mario: Milos forman has died =<
Indeed the character designs in steins; gate have seen changes....shockingly mayuri's chest is larger than Daru's ;)
I can live with that. Interested to see what made you reserved.
@KTravlos: you won't agree with my series review then. I have a lot of reservations on VE
Also I finished Violet Evergarden. This was an exceptional series in my book.
the two characters. Finally the battle soundtrack was simply wrong.

I am going to watch it because it is LOGH. And frankly after watching the new one I felt the fact that the old one was dated technical wise (but not in music). But at least on comparison of first episodes, the old one did a better job at giving depth to Reinhard and Keircheis.
well I watched the first episode of the new LOGH and then watched the first episode of the older version. The update in the art is good..but. If the old one was too talky, this one is too boom boom. I also felt that they did not sue the time well to establish Reihard and Kircheis well. Especially the removal of some lines that were in the first episode of the original, really took away a lot from
@Amagi: I can see your point but what a premise for Golden Kamuy.
Although golden kamuy is labeled seinen, which gives me some more hope for it.
@Amagi: agree with you about remembering stuffs you've watched. For me, it's always until the second watch that I can remember the plot or characters clearly. Otherwise, all will get hazy like a dream
Anonymous2011116
@Anon Watch a few eps and then male an informed decision based on that; I find the storytelling to be a bit weak but you might not feel the same
@Anon, If you can ignore the rather odd fanservice and sex symbolism it's actually a pretty enjoyable show with good animation whose story has been getting better.
Think it's always the best to watch the first episode since other people might hate something you will love or vice versa.
@Anon: For me it still feels like Kiznaiver but I think it really depends on how much you care about the characters and teen relationship deama.
Anonymous2010671
Hey is Darlin the Franxx actually good? It looked kind of just like an ecchi mecha series, but just kind of glancing at the reviews over here makes me think it's more than I'm giving it credit for

Legend of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These – 2/3[The Battle of Astarte/An Indomitable Prodigy]

If I was to judge this adaption based solely on the first three episodes I would declare it a resounding success. For while I do really like the old series, it does have a rather slow start. I say i only truly got invested in it around episode 3 or 4 when the more political […]

Golden Kamuy – 02 [Nopperabo]

Leave it to Japanese cartoon that done the Western genre better than the Westerners, at least from what we have seen so far (note: despite my pun, Western the genre doesn’t refer to the Western culture, but to the American Old West). Granted, Japanese cinema and literature has a strong tradition of samurai genre, which […]

Hinamatsuri – 02 [This Is How You Have a ESP Battle!]

Welcome to THE comedy gold of the season. Before I get into anything specific, let’s me discuss about what make this little show about a psychic girl and a yakuza hilarious in the first place. The main source of humor in Hinamatsuri largely comes from situation-based weirdness. Putting these characters out of their comfort zones […]

Darling in the Franxx – 14[Punishment and Confession]

Last time Darling and the Franxx had it’s best episode yet which raised my opinion of the series and gave me hopes for greater things moving forward. So it’s sad that they follow this up with the worst episode of the series to date. This episode was pure frustration to watch because you knew exactly […]

Megalo Box – 2 [The Man Only Dies Once]

Welcome to the Spring 2018 anime season! I am proud to present to you the Ashita no Joe 50th Anniversary project, Megalo Box. Easily the most stylish anime of the season. Lets jump in! With just 2 episodes, Megalo Box has become my favorite for the season. Everything about it feels like it comes from […]

Darling in the Franxx – 13[The Beast and the Prince]

That was the best episode of Darling in the Franxx to date. Truly I am impressed with this though it may be perhaps because the fanservice aspects of the show were not present at all during this episode. Todays episode was spent entirely on the past of Hiro and Zero Two. When this episode is […]

Fate/Extra Last Encore – 08-10[No Second Strike ― Dead End ― /Golden Theater of the Deranged ― Aestus Domus Aurea ― /Unlimited――― ― Unlimited/ Raise・Dead ―]

It hard to have an opinion on the last three episodes of Fate/Extra when the content has been quite similar to the previous episodes of the cour. For now the series has ended with the remaining episodes coming as a special later. Still unknown if that was the actual special broadcast that was originally considered […]

Darling in the Franxx – 10-12[The City of Eternity/Partner Shuffle/The Garden Where It All Began]

Three episode coverage this week as many things got in the way of my casual blogging, the much late preview being one of them. I must say that the last few episodes of Franxx have been quite strong as we have had a string of character development episodes which have really fleshed out the cast. […]

“I wallow in anime mediocrity”

For me a mediocre show is one that I can watch and enjoy, but which does not really break new ground in elements of animation, story, or cinematography, or does not “move” me. It does not if you will touch the “higher” emotions and faculties of who I am, but does leave me satisfied at […]

Kokkoku – 42.5/100

There are lots of bad anime out there, for one reason or another. Whether it be stilted animation, terrible writing or bad direction, a good portion of each season is simply not worth it. Kokkoku is not a bad anime. It is something much worse. Kokkoku is a mediocre anime. Bad ones get talked about, […]

Junji Ito Collection Anime Review – 40/100

In the realm of manga there is a man whose name is inescapable when the genre of horror is brought up. That man is Junji Ito and his work is considered legendary for its artistic detail, mastery of manga paneling and it’s outlandish imaginative concepts. Up till now his work has yet to have an […]

Yuru Camp (Winter 2018) Review – 74/100

I admit that I underestimated Yuru Camp back in its first few episodes. I took it as a standard, run-on-the-mill slice of life show and I fully expected to give it 3 episodes at max before throwing it into the deep sea of forgotten anime. But as time pass, I can certainly see many good […]

Neo Yokio – 96/100

This may be half a year overdue but I simply can’t accept that none of the writing staff of Star Crossed Anime have cover the the biggest development in anime where Netflix took a hand in producing anime in the form of Neo Yokio. Taking place in the metropolis of Neo Yokio, a mashup between […]

Devilman Crybaby – 83/100

It’s an exciting time to be an anime fan where new business models and players are making big waves within the animation industry. After debuting with the original and excellently-produced Neo Yokio, the juggernaut streaming service of Netflix has decided to revive the classic series of Devilman and gives it the full adaption treatment. By […]

Mahoutsukai no Yome – 69/100

Fantasy is a rather prolific genre in anime, with a vast majority of Isekai and Shounen fitting snugly into it. Most take place in their own unique setting, either Amestris of Full Metal Alchemist or the made of world of the latest Isekai trash. Few however try to set themselves in our world. To peel […]

Mary and the Witch’s Flower – 73/100 (Joint Review)

Wooper: Mary and the Witch’s Flower is the first feature film from Studio Ponoc, which spun off from Studio Ghibli in early 2015. Given Ghibli’s towering reputation, the bar was high for this inaugural flick, which recently made its way to U.S. theaters, giving Lenlo and I a chance to see it on the big […]

In This Corner of the World (2016) Movie Review – 90/100

In this Corner of the World (for the purpose of this review, I’ll refer it as “Corner”), is the truest slice of life drama if you ever encounter one, in that it’s a slice into an ordinary life of an ordinary girl during the War period. That speaks into the very first strength of Corner, […]

Houseki no Kuni (Fall 2017) Review – 92/100

Make no mistake, Houseki no Kuni is the most ambitious anime project of the year. Not only because it’s an entirely CG project (and make a damn good use of it, mind you), or because of its narrative scope that at once strange, grand and beauty, but also in its very conception in their production […]