Posted by psgels on 9 January 2011 with categories: Mitsudomoe, Some Quick First Impressions

Mitsudomoe 2

Short Synopsis: Our lead character saves the world from evil.
The big question for Mitsudomoe was: would it have enough inspiration in order to fill all of its eight episodes. The answer, based on this episode: yes. This episode was completely different from the first season, but actually in a good way that still remained funny. Unlike the first season, it wasn’t divided in smaller sub-arcs, but instead it was entirely devoted to a parody of Super Sentai Shows. Unlike Beelzebub, I really laughed quite a bit at it, especially at how it was completely silly, yet the characters took themselves 100% seriously. The amount of toilet jokes was also surprisingly reduced here, and it actually worked well. This is actually very surprising, because often comedy sequels just try too hard or just can’t seem to work as well with with the new style they’ve chosen. This is a great exception, though. I really hope that the rest of the season will have more of these gimmicky episodes that work surprisingly well, and the fact that this show is only listed for eight episodes seems a great hint to that.
OP: Quite lame, but that was probably the entire point of it. ^^;
ED: Nice little gimmicky ED putting the regular characters in the role of the Gachi Rangers.
Potential: 80%

Short Synopsis: Our lead character is a juvenile delinquent with superpowers.
I wasn’t looking forward to Beelzebub, because it was being adapted by a bunch of people who are notorious for their bad adaptations. And indeed, about 70 to 80 percent of the jokes of this episode fell flat. They were either badly timed, badly acted, or just consisted of random yelling or unfunny toilet jokes. This episode was in many ways obnoxious, it already repeated some of its jokes ad nauseum (most notably that electric shock attack). now, the music was quite good, and there were a few jokes here and there that were quite funny. It feels like there are some interesting ideas in this one, but most of the time it doesn’t really know how to use them. It’s not the worst opening of a Shounen Jump show I’ve seen in recent years, that probably goes to Fairy Tail, but at the same time I have no idea why Beelzebub is so highly regarded by so many people, just based on this episode. And please don’t tell me that it’s the type of story that only gets good after fifty episodes or so.
OP: Decent rock song that at least fits the maturity level of the series.
ED: Surprisingly decent.
Potential: 40%

Short Synopsis: Our lead character has a dead sister complex. A very severe one.
This episode was actually very good for the largest part. There sure was a truckload of fanservice, but at the same time it really treated itself seriously. The action scenes were intense and well directed, with a surprisingly large amount of gore that worked quite well. The build-up is great, the soundtrack was excellent as well (this really is the season of awesome soundtracks here), and overall as an action series, I really could see myself enjoying it. But yeah… then the final two minutes came. What the heck was that? I don’t even want to explain what just happened. Just… watch it if you really want to know…
OP: Decent rock song with nice animation.
ED: Fanservice slide show, but the song could be worse.
Potential: 50%

1. Sho says:

I remember one guy on here thought i was crazy to expect something decent out of this, but who’s the one looking silly now? j/k. Anyway, i’m really looking forward to checking this out.

2. Msteak says:

Last thing I’ve seen with a large amount of fanservice that took itself seriously was Ichiban, and that’s one of the worst series I’ve ever seen.

3. Frost says:

Freezing is hardcore… Im loving the gore, and for once, NUDITY instead of just pointless boob shots

I just dont like how every girl in this show apparently has G cups, it must be a Pandora trait lol

Either way, as far as 1st episodes go, this season rocks… And we still didnt get Fractale and Level E (Im expecting great things from the producers of Armed Librarians)

4. m says:

Freezing: Looks like Claymores fighting Dolems with great potential for wangst and boob physics. The ending has me wanting to watch the next episode just to learn which way the show decays into something else.

5. Anon says:

As far as the source material goes, Freezing is a story that starts out mildly interesting but quickly deteriorates into substandard battle manga where substance is substituted with lots of angry shouting. I wouldn’t expect anything out of it.

6. AlexS says:

This show should be called boobing instead of freezing (@_@’)

It was hilarious to see the moments of tension being wrecked by the incessant panty/crotch/boob shots
    (o Y o)

Another bizarre item to file into my mental cabinet of Japanese curiosa, but no chance that I ever see another episode of it.

7. ibg says:

You weren’t kidding about the ending. 20 minutes in, it was a cool Claymore-ish series, despite the cliches and excessive fanservice… and then THAT happened.

8. Sobczak says:

I’m so psyched that they made a freezing anime :). I’ve been following the work of Im Dall Young for quite a while. Up until now it has been following the manhwa quite well (Hope it does for the rest of the season) Not a big fan of the excessive fan-service, but it’s like that in the MANGA version too. For now it looks promising.
    If you can’t wait to know what happens next, I’ll recommend the manga (Manhwa if you want it censored) Oh yeah, BTW. Love the ending song, filled with energy and a great singer :)

9. RollingCamel says:

Really wtf was that?! At first I thought that it will be some mature dark series until the huge boobs appeared and the stupid costume…okay there are good shows with a pair of balloons. Then the action got intense and the music was awesome then panty/crotch/boobs combo shots…Highschool of the Dead was conservative in comparison.

Lastly, what was that at the end! What was breached?

10. fangel says:

I agree, the ending was totally like WTF!! The story plot could develop into a good one but if they keep up with the hardcore fanservice all the way, I don’t know if the storyline can make up for it. But anywho, I feel like if they develop the characters more, and maybe lessen the fanservice as it gets to climax then it will be an OK series. That is if they have a solid and creative storyline!

11. Scruffy says:

Gee .. with boobs that big when you’re swing a sword round you’re likely to lop one off! If there wasn’t soo much huge boobs and crotch shots then this would have been really good. Like it is it gets annoying really fast.

12. Kanasuk says:

This really feel like you’re watching an episode of Elfen Lied then suddenly you get a shot from Queen’s Blade and a voice telling you “hey, I really hope you didnt think it was going to be that good, did you?”. Want to see next episode but I’m worried…

13. maskedguy says:

I’d like to point out for everyone, while this is anime adaption, its not Japanese series =P Blame koreans. Its written by some guy called Dalyoung Im who apparently can’t draw since manhwa aren’t drawn by him xD This was drawn by some guy called Kwang Hyun Kim who also drew Dalyoung Im’s series called Aflame Inferno, which is also fanservicy gory action manhwa.

Some other series by the author(note: His series have different drawers, I have only seen one other thats not written by the guy who drew Freezing and Aflame Inferno, and it had less fan service(as in, less panty shots) while still having some VERY ‘squeeky’ story stuff)) are Zero The Beginning Of The Coffin(, Kurokami, The Legend Of Maian, Onihime VS, Rebirth The Lunatic Taker, Unbalance X Unbalance and I think he has few other ones too.(note: Out of those I have only checked Zero and The Legend of Maian. They are pretty different from Aflame Inferno, though latter has pretty similar art style, but story wise it seems less dark, but I only checked first few chapters before getting bored…)

…What? I just dislike misblaming xD I mean, Japanese do lots of creepy fan service at times, but they aren’t only ones xD(and sorry for crappy grammar)

14. c160 says:

Beelzebub original manga was never really all that good(well at least up to the point that I dropped it) so I really don’t think you should keep following it..

15. hikaru says:

I was really looking forward to Beelzebub coz I love Shonen Jump, but the electric shock thing was kinda overplayed, and I managed to predict a whole lot of stuff before it happened. But I expect it to get better! And yeah, it will probably be 50+ episodes =)

And just fyi, Fairy Tail isn’t Shonen Jump ^_^

16. Hmmmmm… perhaps Beelzebub humor/gags just isn’t your type ^^; I find it very hilarious though, despite the repeated jokes (they were so funny though that it still makes me laugh no matter how overused they are xD ). The stupid stuff here made it so amusing for me xD

17. dthiswhtuseek says:

The problem for Beelzebub really is mostly the timing of the jokes, but on another note they seemed to have removed a bunch of jokes that were in then manga for the electric shocks, which annoyed me.

18. Roadhouse says:

mangas and light novels are usually the originals of every anime, you will never know how good it is unless you read it. The 1st chapter of Beelzebub is completely different fromt the 1st episode. This is what happends when you have someone who makes lame romance comedies do a action comedy, Hopefully they change the director to someone who actually knows what there doing

19. Nayrael says:

Some of better jokes from Beelzebub have been removed and they added few (which is too many) electric shocks

The only thing intact is the story bu… Beelzebub isn’t really about the story but gags and parodies so this isn’t exactly such an awesome thing.

20. Scruffy says:

I never really got into the first season of Mitsudomoe so just watched this just because I could .. but it was suprisinbgly funny. There’s some really good hidden details taking the micky out of bad special effects in this .. like for instance you can see that the bus driver is actually a stunt double (becomes a guy) and the car dissapears before it blows up. I think i’m just going to rewatch to see if i can spot some more :)

21. Machi says:

Beelzebub isn’t exactly THAT awesome as some people would put it – though its only with the latest chapters that it is improving in both humor and action (funniest training arc I’ve seen) – its just generally good fun nothing more. So I’m not sure where you got the idea that it is a highly regarded shounen.

22. Mao says:

The manga is LOT better. Most of the first half was anime original. I reread the first chapter I watched this episode and I still find it hilarious, whilst this adaptation is simply horrible. The electrocution joke was the least funny in the manga, why did they choose keep bludgeoning our heads with it? Thus, when they did start with the original material, they didn’t have enough time to properly set up the gags, most of them fell flat. The little things that makes the manga so good are missing too. :/

I’m not giving up the anime yet, I’ll watch the second episode to see if studio Pierrot will stop inserting their fillers into Beelzebub. There are still a lot of chapters to go through before they ran out of materials for a first season. They don’t have to drag it out.

End rant.

As for the manga, I actually found that the best part of the series is in the earlier chapters. The gags are a lot funnier. But lately it’s descending to shounen mediocrity, more fighting, less comedy.

23. Machi says:

You find the humor of the training arc and the courtroom scene to be mediocre? Different taste then :P

24. Frost says:

Heh yeah, Beelzebub had its funny moments, but the electrocute joke was never funny to begin with, I have no idea why they kept repeating it

I have the impression that this is another “The world god only knows”, where people had high expectations for some reason, but it becomes nothing but mediocrity

25. TvT says:

Instantly dropped Freezing after watching the last two minutes – and the irony that the rest of the episode was quite decent actually.

26. Ghost says:

*Sigh* I had a feeling this was going to happen to Beelzebub but it still makes me sad that they didn’t adapt the jokes correctly. I felt the same way about the electrocution joke…I mean come on it’s not in the manga that many times!

I give it two more episodes before I drop it and just read the manga.(Though, it is awesome to see the characters animated.)

27. ShyBlue says:

Beelzebub was just butchered, badly.

I really really hate that director now. All he managed to put out were just really bad adaptations…Ookami Kakushi and 07-Ghost…both of which started out all right, but failed because of poor pacing and execution.

I mean, seriously. What is wrong with him? Unlike what some others say, Beelzebub the anime will not get better in 50+ episodes. I’m sure of that. The manga’s already only 91 chapters long…and the first episode already smooshed 20+ chapters into 30 minutes! This series just promises for fillers.

Urgh…I was so excited for Beelzebub because the manga was the best thing since sliced bread for me…but goddamnit, what a waste of an adaption of a great manga. Dropped on the spot.

28. Westlo says:

Shyblue, you watched the OVA not the TV ep 1.

29. Angela says:

I wouldn’t say it took 50 episodes to get good for Beezelbub. I would never have sat down and read through it all. But I did find it funny and it picked up pretty quickly. I’m a bit squeamish to see how the animation has ruined it.

30. death13a says:

Which Beelzebub 1 episode you watched

1 Where Oga and Furuichi meet Hilda on school rooftop or

2 Where Oga and Furuichi meet Hilda in Furuichi’s house

And yes there is 2 first episode second one follows manga more closely with overused lightning shocks and they should pass over as series progresses.

31. cain says:

I want to watch where Oga, the demon, calmly drinking tea at Furuichi’s house explaining how he met the large LARGE man floating down the river.

32. Taara535 says:

I am honestly shocked people enjoyed either of these series. I dropped Beelzebub 2 minutes after watching it (random peeing, electric shock, and stupid one liners was enough for me).

Freezing, however, I watched all the way through. That was an immoral destructive piece of trash. And no, I’m not talking about the violence or the nudity. I could care less about either. How about the fact that the main character was pointlessly killing allies in “training” exercises. Literally, the entire plot and setting makes no sense. Either this military organization is the most incompetent ever created (guess what killing or mortally wounding 20 people in “training” exercises is not the best way to fight an alien invasion) or it is a despicable dystopia that deserves to be overthrown.

The anime essentially is trying to get you to root for pure unadulterated evil (the main character is full of blood-lust and the organization is evil). It’s pretty bad when a series encourages you to root for the “evil” aliens over humanity…..

33. Tony says:

Have to admit, I’m intrigued by what provoked a reaction of shocked disbelief in several people at the end of Freezing, but I’m not about to watch an entire episode of an anime I’m certain I’ll hate to find out.

34. Ncrdrg says:

Freezing only gets even more gorish. It’s part of its trademark, sorta like Claymore. The opening ep was decent. All I know is that I’ll most definitely like it more than Beelzebub. As for the last scene, it’s actually pretty important >_>

35. Bear says:

Beelzebub may quite honestly be the least funny episode of comedy anime I’ve ever seen. It’s basically just a really terrible knock-off of Cromartie High School (Freddie Mercury included) with an annoying naked baby thrown in as a bonus. Didn’t even crack a smile watching this drivel.

With the fourth episode, Vivid Strike seems to have crossed an invisible line that makes it more like the original Nanoha shows rather than Vivid. The kind of brutal beatdown delivered by the co-protagonist and the build up to it is something quite alien to a normal SoL/Sports anime show.
Ep. 4 of Tiger Mask was a lot better than the last 3, quite a hyped fight that was a full 6mins long. Will continue watching in hope of an awesomely long final fight.
Going back to the fanservice topic, its very easy to complain about it in anything but then something actually comes along that actually does it for you. I mean I always say that I don't watch a show/movie for its fanservice elements and stick with pictures on image boards, but then I ended up seeing a film where I actually got something out of the fanservice while watching the film its.
The oujia prequel was competent genre fare, the director cared about the characters and every now and the built up a decent mood. Although jump Scares are there . And I always appreciate a horror film having a mean spirited ending. One of the rare cases where the young actors do well in a horror film. The pace is a bit uneven, rushed and a bit laggy .
In the sense of how messed up/especially bleak those two episodes were.
There was the sense too with both those episodes of "Jesus...I wasn't ready for that...."
Though the first episode of the first season and the third episode of season 3 are very hard to beat. Adding to what I thought of s3 ep3 I felt that one hit me on the same level as s1 ep1 did so.
Though in previous seasons I generally only really liked 2 out of the 3.
@Kaiser, though the previous seasons where only 3 episodes long and you enjoyed 3 out of 6 in this season. So yo essentially get the same amount of enjoyment as previous seasons.
Based on my comments, it looks like I had a mixed reaction to the third season. Three out of six, but the great was was great and forgives it but I still feel that there was more of a consistentancy in quality in the other seasons. I enjoyed every story in seasons 1 and 2.
The final episode felt like a movie all on its own, I'd have gladly watched another thirty minutes of it, ending was a nice punch in the gut.
Just finished black mirror season 3. I hear people basically complaining that it's not as strong as the previous two season but I disagree. I really enjoyed this and this is a show that deserves much more episodes. Personal favorite is between shut up and dance and hated in the nation. Worst I thought was San Junipero. Overall thought each episode was interesting.
On the upside I loved black mirrors fifth episode, I'm a sucker for war/action-dramas and I particularly liked the tech in this one.
Yeah this is impossible for me to sit through, the romance part is also rather dull.
Eh, this fourth episode is plodding and trite, feels like a bad, poorly dated 90s film.
@Aidan: Third episode also instilled a great sense of paranoia.
@Kaiser: thanks for that mate. I have too much to say for Flipflappers but to put them all in coherent flow is goddamn hard. And like I said I still fell I left many details out: that gung-ho potato or Yayaka and the twins
@Friend: jugding from the last convention I went to, people loved Re:Zero customs (Emilia and Rem, Ram were highlights. Or you could try RWBY characters (I for once love to see someone cosplay Pirrha Nikos or Velvet Scarlatina)
@Aidan: Didn't care much for new black mirrors second episode, then again I'm not really the target for that story. The third episode while a bit heavyhanded and predictable was suspenseful, nasty/mean and I liked that about it, did in 50 minutes what some thrillers fail to achieve in two hours.
Holo is a good one :0
Materials aren't a problem at all for the most part, except for anything too crazy like working in brass. I'd prefer it to be characters I'm familiar with.
Does it matter to you that they're from shows that you like, or are you just in it for the challenge?
@Friend Aidan has some good ones there. I'd also give the cast of Akame ga Kiru a shot, I don't like the series but it has a lot of neat character designs.
I was thinking simple as I didn't know what kind of materials you got on hand. I was also thinking of Holo from spice and wolf or Kino from Kinos journey either.
Mm, Tatsumaki might be not challenging enough to design for. Doesn't Shiki simply wear either a coat or Japanese kimono? I do work in set design and not in character prop design, but I'd love to try something that would let me reasonably challenge myself.
@Friend, Spit balling here but Tatsumaki from One Punch Man? I know the costume for that one would be simple enough. Or maybe Shiki from Kara No Kyoukai?
*I don't want to do anything too complex for my first try, but I also don't want to do anything boring. Boring would be a character like Rukia or Celty. Any ideas?
I remember talking about this with Emma/Kaiser before, but has anyone here gone cosplaying at an expo before? I thought it would be neat to try designing my own costume and try something else beside drawing on a computer.
@Kaiser, I am up to episode 4. 3 has been the best one so far.Though in all these episodes I pretty much figured out the twist from the get go. Still this shows always tends to get you thinking.
I think the roles/identity thing with flipflappers, at least with the protaganist does fit in well with adolescence.
@Aidan: I've only seen the first episode so far. I felt the acting was intentional and reflected the satire Brooker was going for on the shallow nature of society. Bleak as ever but gloriously grotesque.
@Mario:Good in depth reviewing there Mario of flipflappers episode three.
Good god this first episode of black mirror is hard to watch. I know exactly how it's going to turn out but it's just so damn painful to watch.
Well, tbh up to where I've seen there's not much explicit yaoi in yuri on ice, only a lot of fujoshi fuel.
@Kaiser. thanks for the torrent. Gonna blaze through this today.
@Topgavin, as someone who watches a metric ton of anime I am rather surprised at that estimate that 90% of it contains Yuri.
My god those gay scenes in Yuri on Ice are hard to watch for me. Wonder if this is how it feels to be a girl watching 90% of normal anime nowadays.
okay, Flip Flappers episodic review was up. This is my lengthiest weekly review so far and I still feel I missed a lot of points. Damn you Flip Flappers
You have seen the light, not needing to know everything thats happening to enjoy something ^_^
I've given some consideration to reviewing that oujia film followup.
Whether you see one or the other is entirely up to your preferences, so it makes no difference to me which is worse. I have gotten very tired of generic character types, but again that's just because of the things I decide to regularly follow.
I will say if it must come down to either unnatural dialogue or unnatural character types, at leas the character type is speaking their own words and not the words of the script writer.
Or was that a black and white fallacy? Maybe it was a little of both.
@Realjustified, K-Off wasn't agreeing with me. That's a Moving the Goal Posts logical Fallacy but well I will answer regardless. Honestly it's preferable to have neither. The big mistake you are making here is that you are putting down a condiction that a show must have one or the other. But both cartoons and anime can have both. I just think it's a lot more prominent in cartoons than anime.
Like, having read hundreds of harem manga over the years, a majority of the ultimate love interest always happens to be the first girl the protagonist meets.
Wait wait wait wait. Aidan and K-Off. I get that dialogue in cartoon can seem like it was written by a script writer, but at the same time, lots of anime have characters whose sole purpose is entirely scripted. The whole spectrum of "deres" and everything. What do you think is worse? Unnatural dialogue, or unnatural character types?
You guys should really go fuck yourself, it's a solution and it's nothing short of great!
You guys should really watch the first 4 episodes of Bungo, it's a prequel and it was nothing short of great!
omg!! I just realized To be Hero was one of the show that I reviewed its 1st episode back in Chinese Animation post. I watched raw then though
forgive me if I'm a bit too overwhelmed by Flip Flappers... For this episode alone I took like 25 screenshots...trying to write a review now...
I have absolutely no idea what is going on in Flip Flappers plot. And yet for some reason I am OK with that.
Anyone out there that's a fan of crude humor should go watch ep.3 of To Be Hero. Certinately stepped it up a notch from the last two humor-wise.
One downside I can think of already is that I'm bound to lose or break one of the detachable controllers. The cost for those pieces is what I'm most interested in.
Nintendo Switch hmm? Honestly it looks too good to be true. I expect some major downsides to this thing.
I like cartoons, don't get me wrong. Certainly good for a change of pace. But there is something about the way they are written that I find rather distracting.
I don't know, maybe if I said it's like the difference from how characters talk in movie vs how characters talk in a sitcom?
@K-Off, I said one liner's or jokes. Not one liner jokes. It's hard to explain. Basically when I hear a conversation in anime even if it is based in stereotypes, it at least feels like a conversation that's being had in the moment. In cartoons however there is a layer of artificiality and it feels like characters know what a person is going to say and has a response prepared.
That's probably why some of my favorite anime in recent years haven't been very heavy on character archetypes, or were either parodies of it.
Comedic dialogue with anime in recent years have leaned too much on the idea of playing off character archetypes. The collected character vs the energetic character, for one. I'd like to see more variety. Some more word play, hyperbolic humor, body humor, etc etc.
@Aidan Not quite sure what you mean by that, because it's certainly not even a majority of cartoons that rely on cheap one liner jokes. I suppose it's entirely up to taste, but I can appreciate the energy in cartoons like Steven Universe or Regular Show when compared to the increasingly repetitive dialogue found in some recent anime.
@Topgavin: I just read that review and his main reason being Shelter is pretentious. oh well! Can't never please anyone.
Thought I'd check out the reviews for Shelter on MAl and the top review is a 1/10. Apparently because it's a cute girl we sympathise with her more, which is bad because reasons. I mean.. what? MAL never ceases to amaze me
@Mario, no. It's more that the dialogue keeps trying to push out one liners or jokes regardless of whose talking.
@Aidan: maybe because they spoke in your native language do you can feel that it's artificial, ya know? I know I have the same problem with Vietnamese drama/ cartoon and maybe Japanese people have that same issues with anime?
By which I mean, the way characters talk in cartoons is very...artificial. Like you can tell that the dialgoue was clearly written beforehand and it never really sounds natural. At least to me.
@Anon, I wouldn't. The writing and structure are too cartoon. What with the episodic nature and dialogue that generally pushes for a comedic tone.
Flanagan also directed absentia which I haven't seen yet but I think someone I came across of 4chan linked it to being lovecraftian?
Oculus was a film of two halves for me. Hush was a pretty standard home invasion thriller, making the victim deaf was an interesting twist but not as unique as you might think, still suspenseful though.
I never saw the first oujia film. Though Mike Flanagan who did the sequel, he's never made a bad movie but he's never really made a great one either.
I stick to the firm belief that cartoons and anime, visually should do and be their own thing. I'll prefer a western artstyle for cartoons rather than one pretending to look like anime style.
But this is a good topic and I'm sure everyone has their own opinions so I'm looking to hear some more arguments
@anon352392: no they aren't. For me not because of where their production based, nor their intended audience, but rather their styles, both visually and storytelling-ly, are different
Anime,” they assert, is not a “style” of illustration or animation.
That's where I differ to those guys. For me, anime is a style. In that sense, I consider RWBY, and Canadian-produced short Flutter as an anime. Thunderbolt Fantasy is not and anime-influence shows/movies that are intented for Western audience like AniMatrix or Afro Samurai are anime
@Anon nah they wouldn't be because they aren't made by a japanese producer for the japanese market. Quality isn't the question, production is
NX and Red Dead Redemption 2 trailers tomorrow.
They are good series and i honestly like them alot more than most anime series, would their quality make them anime?
What about cartoons like Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, Wander Over Yonder, Star Vs The Forces Of Evil?
In other news a sequel to an absolutely terrible horror movie called Ouija is out and it's...actually pretty good? Wondering if critics were paid off or it is legit good. Well it did have the guy who was behind Oculus and that was a pretty good movie.
Simplify the term down enough and anime is literally anything animated but the whole point of the term is to distinguish it. For to call Spongebob an anime makes me want to projectile vomit. Point is this, you say you watched a cartoon, people think Tom and jerry, Scooby doo etc. You say you watched an anime, people think Cowboy bebop, Attack on titan, etc. Whole point of the term.
For example, I don't consider Avatar or RWBY to be anime for while they use anime style, the writing is fundamentally structured like an American cartoon. Through I would consider Bloodivores an anime even though it was made by a Chinese animation company, making it technically a Chinese cartoon.
As far as what is and isn't anime I honestly think of the term as a means of distinguishing it from cartoon which gives the impression of being for children. It's like Graphic novel is to comic book. Though techically graphic novels are issues of comics bound in book form, the term Graphic novel is often used to distinguish works that go above superhero comics and whatnot.
Basically I think it was due to Porter Robinsons involvement that they didn't consider it anime.
@Aidan: Did the mods give any concrete reasons why they didn't consider it an anime?
@Mario, It wasn't the community that had the problem. It was the mods. The community made it pretty clear that they considered it anime.
So despite the art style is obviously anime, the character speaks in Japanese, and the production was animated by A1 Studios, it's not an anime? Sometimes I feel sad that the anime community keeps limiting themselves with such fixed minds.
I saw it yesterday and yes it was good. For a 5-minute story, they don't make it too overwhelme with details, and still pack an emotional punch. Moreover it elevates the song. Good stuffs.
Shelter was quite good though. It works well and the animation was beautiful. Song is not bad either. It's got a nice emotional punch to it though it's a bit simple a story.
Well anyway I only saw all this because I checked out the video for the first time and wanted to see how others thought of it with a quick scan through reddit. And I get this shitshow instead.
Playing the victim is the one really pisses off the internet. For refusing to admit you f*cked up only encourages people to shove how you f*cked up into your face. That's what really grinds peoples gears.
Yep, seen that too. The mods even put up another tread about the video and tried to guilt trip people by saying they got death threats. Look, internet rules 101. If you said or did something stupid admit to it and just walk away. Do not try to deflect blame or play the victim, that only adds fuel to the fire.
@Aidan oh yeah saw that live lol. Porter himself even commented on twitter about it, gotta love internet drama
So did anyone happen to catch the big old shitstorm of that Shelter music music when a mod of the Anime subreddit decided it wasn't "Anime" enough and removed the discussion post about it? Oh internet drama...what silly nonsense.
Finally caught up with JoJo. Diamond is Unbreakable has turned out to be much better than Stardust Crusaders. Should have waited for the season to finish through as I really loved marathoning it.
I had a feeling that might be the case considering the source materail for luger.
@Mario Oh I watched that, certinately worth it. Packed more story that some 12-episode shows do nowadays and gorgeous animation.
and I will check out "Shelter" music video to see what all the fuss is about
*this weekend to be exact.
Sounds like Luger Code 1951 is an OVA that will air next week, the same air date with "my" Zaregoto OVA.
@Mario: doesn't sound real at all to me lol
@Mario, I might be able to manage. If all else fails I can talk about the past of these historical figures.
While I don't mind watchinng Drifters, I swaer if I had to cover that show, I couldn't come up with anything to say.
Do you guys know what language the fairies speak in Drifters? It does sound like a genuine language
@topgavin: humanity has declined is a great show. It has good writing and dark, witty sense of humor. I could talk about it in length but psgels pretty much covered it all. He was really impressed by that show however.
That should be me covered till the weekend. Why do all my shows air on the weekend...
@Mario nah I've watched the whole thing but I'd heard about it at the start of this year and put it off. The dialogue between her and the fairies was great stuff, probably gonna rewatch it this weekend now that you mention it
Alright, I got three posts written up and will be throwing them out in about two hours or do.
I thought you've finished it. Yeah I love her character a lot, so cynical but witty. My favorite moment was when she read about fairy's plan to invent religions. She was like "so religions are invented?" (beat) "I've learn something new today". Priceless
@Mario Oh nice, it was one that I had heard about but never got round to. To put it in simple anime terms, Watashi is best girl
@topgavin: I just finished the series yo mentioned the other day: humanity is declined. Man, I love it. I know now I have a thing for dark twisted absurdist anime
@Ano340004: the name is Watashi ga Motete Dousunda, or to put it short Motete. I have fun with it but i'm not that enthuastic
@anon the english name is Kiss him, not me. Search through the first impressions if you need the jap name.
then that girl really loves BL (boy love)
what is the name of the anime that the girl is fat and then she got depressed because her favorite boy anime died then she got thin?
Season 7 is awesome so far too. It feels like the tone of the show is finally back to normal and it feels like Adventure Time again.
Whew, I binged all seasons of Adventure Time this weekend. The show hit a low spot in Season 6 but I think it needed to happen...Poor Finn needed the serious character development after what he did to FP.
You guys are too hard on it
Motete is very funny
When it comes to gag manga and four-koma, I just eventually reach a stopping point with a comedy series in that format. Even with hidamari sketch.
I think it was typical light novel trash based on what was in the PV. I laughed that despite it being horrible that the crowd still cheered anyway, likely because it had a bath clip in it.
The PV was hilarious. I had no idea what the anime was about.
@Aidan I'm good, I'll stick with Working.
@K-Off, you could switch to something like Gi(a)rlish Number if you like. I for one am really digging the satire of the show. Plus I like that it's basically showing how an utter train-wreck of an anime can be made. That PV in the last episode was truly painful.
Feeling pretty disappointed with Working. I haven't gotten any more cynical with comedies, at least I don't think, and its flaws are so irritating.
@Adam Le, I find that with Comic book dialogue. Which is one of the reasons I have gone off marvel movies. Cartoons have it to a degree as well.
I love the instagram shots in Yuri
Maybe I can have a watch through those live action films and do a compare/contrast to see which version works better. After all movie and tv series are 2 different medium, and live-action vs animation is the topic that we never get tired of
speaking of which, the overlap between anime and live-action adaptation from manga is overwhelming. For this year alone, there were Erased, 3-gatsu no Lion, Fune o Amu, orange, and Chihayafuru (part 1&2). Those were just the ones I know.
@Adam: Don't know which genre you're into but you can try Fune o Amu (The Great Passage)
Adam Le
I can't seem to get into any of these new shows. I don't know, the dialogue always seems off to me and the forced comedy is a big turn off.
Reminds me of a thought I had when I was last at the Getty art museum. People walking past works of art hundreds of years old, but only taking a second-long glance before moving on to the next one. Not their fault really, it's only the professional critics who can understand what they see with depth.
I'm the opposite really, they're getting paid for what they said so they better know their shits
I suppose I'm slightly envious of professional critics somewhat.
Sometimes you're just meant to experience the ride you know. I don't watch those explained video anymore because after all it's just one guy's opinions.
And I mean people who art professionals or students.
I guess I'm just unsure of something, how many people watching "arty" stuff are able to pick it up on their own. By looking up an "explained video" or "explained essay" to get it, am I copping out?
I feel like I've begun getting on board with the european art stuff but am really only scratching the surface with the Chinese and that stuff.
And find myself missing whats going on sometimes.
I'll admit I do find it frustrating, that even though I can like art films, emotionally connect at times, appreciate the visual techniques and admire them for being so different without looking up analysis by people far smarter than myself I honestly feel lost sometimes as to the meaning.
@Kaiser: Apichatphong Weerseethakul's films are so otherworldly and spiritual that I wouldn't dare to call them "dreams" anymore. Check out his "Uncle Boonmie", "Syndromes and a Century", "Cemetery of Splendors". he has such singular vision that just watch and experience his films are rewarding enough
@afgm: well, if we really go over-analyze it, bunnies can represent desire for example ^^
like eating sweet snow is so randomness for me

Occultic:Nine – 03[She Cracked]

This week on Occultic;Nine…stuff happens I guess? In watching this i am getting reminders of Chaos;Head in a lot of ways. Now the Chaos;Head anime was a mess but the visual novel actually started really well with a lot of intrigue before D-swords were introduced and the whole narrative just became a giant nonsensical mess. […]

Magical Girl Raising Project – 04[Add More Friends!]

Guess I gave Ruler a bit too much credit than she deserved. I still think in her own way she did care about her team but she had a much bigger ego than expected when you see her real self. Ruler has the problematic nature of overestimating her own worth and in doing so pushes […]

Drifters – 03[Army of Ours–Sortie at Dawn]

After two episodes of pretty solid quality I happen to notice this episode took a bit of a downturn in animation. Though to be fair this was the most action focused episode yet which strangely didn’t feature our main trio. Instead we get introduced to the other protagonists and our main antagonists. We also get […]

3-gatsu no Lion 3d

3-gatsu no Lion – 03 [Harunobu – Beyond the Night Sky]

Another week, another touching little stories from Rei and his friends. Still follow the same structure as previous 2 weeks, we have the first half of Rei competing against Harunobu, his lifelong rivalry (or so that guy thought), and the remaining half of Rei visiting the three sisters on the last day of Obon festival. […]

Flip Flappers 03d

Flip Flappers – 03 [Pure XLR]

Flip Flappers again raises the bar of what is expected of them, as this week the show goes even much trippier than the previous two weeks, and much darker too. They break out even their own formula, starting this episode right in the middle of desert wasteland. While this episode certainly reminds you a lot […]

Sound Eupho 2 03a

Sound! Euphonium 2 – 03 [Troubled Nocturnes]

This week, we follow an almost 24 hours of Kumiko practicing music, Kumiko interacting with other members, Kumiko having a sleepless night in a band camp, and that’s basically it. In a very Sound Eupho’s way of storytelling, there seems to be not much going on, but this episode actually lays a lot of groundworks […]

Occultic;Nine – 02 [My Cold Dimension]

After a disastrous first episode that has likely pushed away a number of viewers, Occultic;Nine decides to slow down it’s pacing to a more acceptable degree which is a good move. This does make the show much more watchable as the dialogue isn’t running off like a machine gun and we can actually take a […]

Magical Girl Raising Project – 03 [Update Notice!]

Mahou Keikaku continues steady ahead though it’s writing still leaves something to be desired. In particular I was surprised as to just how lackluster the reveal was that whoever drops out is killed. The previous episode made it seem as though Fav was intentionally keeping that aspect in the dark with how he removed the […]

Drifters – 02 [Footsteps]

I originally wasn’t all that impressed with the Drifters manga but when looking at it in motion it truly shows its worth. i guess that is because of the very nature of this series being what it is. Looking at drawing of a man being cut in half and seeing a man be cut in […]

Orange - 01 2

orange Review – 73/100

What would you do if you receive letters from your future-self saying that you can change your future? That’s exactly what Naho experienced as she obtains ones from herself 10 years later that urge her to look after her new friend and prevent him from committing suicide. The premise, I agree, is hardly anything groundbreaking, […]

91 Days - 07 4

91 Days Review – 68/100

When taking up the job of checking out every anime season you really can starve for something different. Variety is the spice of life and yet the entertainment industry seems determined to give us more of the same. So in the sea of average high school students gaining superpowers and harems I see an anime […]

Mob Psycho 100 - 03 3

Mob Psycho 100 Review – 80/100

After the explosive popularity of One Punch Man it really was a high bar that another work of the author ONE had to reach. While it didn’t quite manage that it still differentiated itself enough to allow it to be a worthy anime of it’s own right. But admittedly that will depend on whether this […]

[HorribleSubs] Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 18 [480p].mkv_002253.373