Posted by psgels on 9 January 2011 with categories: Mitsudomoe, Some Quick First Impressions

Mitsudomoe 2

Short Synopsis: Our lead character saves the world from evil.
The big question for Mitsudomoe was: would it have enough inspiration in order to fill all of its eight episodes. The answer, based on this episode: yes. This episode was completely different from the first season, but actually in a good way that still remained funny. Unlike the first season, it wasn’t divided in smaller sub-arcs, but instead it was entirely devoted to a parody of Super Sentai Shows. Unlike Beelzebub, I really laughed quite a bit at it, especially at how it was completely silly, yet the characters took themselves 100% seriously. The amount of toilet jokes was also surprisingly reduced here, and it actually worked well. This is actually very surprising, because often comedy sequels just try too hard or just can’t seem to work as well with with the new style they’ve chosen. This is a great exception, though. I really hope that the rest of the season will have more of these gimmicky episodes that work surprisingly well, and the fact that this show is only listed for eight episodes seems a great hint to that.
OP: Quite lame, but that was probably the entire point of it. ^^;
ED: Nice little gimmicky ED putting the regular characters in the role of the Gachi Rangers.
Potential: 80%

Beelzebub

Short Synopsis: Our lead character is a juvenile delinquent with superpowers.
I wasn’t looking forward to Beelzebub, because it was being adapted by a bunch of people who are notorious for their bad adaptations. And indeed, about 70 to 80 percent of the jokes of this episode fell flat. They were either badly timed, badly acted, or just consisted of random yelling or unfunny toilet jokes. This episode was in many ways obnoxious, it already repeated some of its jokes ad nauseum (most notably that electric shock attack). now, the music was quite good, and there were a few jokes here and there that were quite funny. It feels like there are some interesting ideas in this one, but most of the time it doesn’t really know how to use them. It’s not the worst opening of a Shounen Jump show I’ve seen in recent years, that probably goes to Fairy Tail, but at the same time I have no idea why Beelzebub is so highly regarded by so many people, just based on this episode. And please don’t tell me that it’s the type of story that only gets good after fifty episodes or so.
OP: Decent rock song that at least fits the maturity level of the series.
ED: Surprisingly decent.
Potential: 40%

Freezing

Short Synopsis: Our lead character has a dead sister complex. A very severe one.
This episode was actually very good for the largest part. There sure was a truckload of fanservice, but at the same time it really treated itself seriously. The action scenes were intense and well directed, with a surprisingly large amount of gore that worked quite well. The build-up is great, the soundtrack was excellent as well (this really is the season of awesome soundtracks here), and overall as an action series, I really could see myself enjoying it. But yeah… then the final two minutes came. What the heck was that? I don’t even want to explain what just happened. Just… watch it if you really want to know…
OP: Decent rock song with nice animation.
ED: Fanservice slide show, but the song could be worse.
Potential: 50%

1. Sho says:

I remember one guy on here thought i was crazy to expect something decent out of this, but who’s the one looking silly now? j/k. Anyway, i’m really looking forward to checking this out.

2. Msteak says:

Last thing I’ve seen with a large amount of fanservice that took itself seriously was Ichiban, and that’s one of the worst series I’ve ever seen.

3. Frost says:

Freezing is hardcore… Im loving the gore, and for once, NUDITY instead of just pointless boob shots

I just dont like how every girl in this show apparently has G cups, it must be a Pandora trait lol

Either way, as far as 1st episodes go, this season rocks… And we still didnt get Fractale and Level E (Im expecting great things from the producers of Armed Librarians)

4. m says:

Freezing: Looks like Claymores fighting Dolems with great potential for wangst and boob physics. The ending has me wanting to watch the next episode just to learn which way the show decays into something else.

5. Anon says:

As far as the source material goes, Freezing is a story that starts out mildly interesting but quickly deteriorates into substandard battle manga where substance is substituted with lots of angry shouting. I wouldn’t expect anything out of it.

6. AlexS says:

This show should be called boobing instead of freezing (@_@’)

It was hilarious to see the moments of tension being wrecked by the incessant panty/crotch/boob shots
    (o Y o)

Another bizarre item to file into my mental cabinet of Japanese curiosa, but no chance that I ever see another episode of it.

7. ibg says:

You weren’t kidding about the ending. 20 minutes in, it was a cool Claymore-ish series, despite the cliches and excessive fanservice… and then THAT happened.

8. Sobczak says:

I’m so psyched that they made a freezing anime :). I’ve been following the work of Im Dall Young for quite a while. Up until now it has been following the manhwa quite well (Hope it does for the rest of the season) Not a big fan of the excessive fan-service, but it’s like that in the MANGA version too. For now it looks promising.
    If you can’t wait to know what happens next, I’ll recommend the manga (Manhwa if you want it censored) Oh yeah, BTW. Love the ending song, filled with energy and a great singer :)

9. RollingCamel says:

Really wtf was that?! At first I thought that it will be some mature dark series until the huge boobs appeared and the stupid costume…okay there are good shows with a pair of balloons. Then the action got intense and the music was awesome then panty/crotch/boobs combo shots…Highschool of the Dead was conservative in comparison.

Lastly, what was that at the end! What was breached?

10. fangel says:

I agree, the ending was totally like WTF!! The story plot could develop into a good one but if they keep up with the hardcore fanservice all the way, I don’t know if the storyline can make up for it. But anywho, I feel like if they develop the characters more, and maybe lessen the fanservice as it gets to climax then it will be an OK series. That is if they have a solid and creative storyline!

11. Scruffy says:

Gee .. with boobs that big when you’re swing a sword round you’re likely to lop one off! If there wasn’t soo much huge boobs and crotch shots then this would have been really good. Like it is it gets annoying really fast.

12. Kanasuk says:

This really feel like you’re watching an episode of Elfen Lied then suddenly you get a shot from Queen’s Blade and a voice telling you “hey, I really hope you didnt think it was going to be that good, did you?”. Want to see next episode but I’m worried…

13. maskedguy says:

I’d like to point out for everyone, while this is anime adaption, its not Japanese series =P Blame koreans. Its written by some guy called Dalyoung Im who apparently can’t draw since manhwa aren’t drawn by him xD This was drawn by some guy called Kwang Hyun Kim who also drew Dalyoung Im’s series called Aflame Inferno, which is also fanservicy gory action manhwa.

Some other series by the author(note: His series have different drawers, I have only seen one other thats not written by the guy who drew Freezing and Aflame Inferno, and it had less fan service(as in, less panty shots) while still having some VERY ‘squeeky’ story stuff)) are Zero The Beginning Of The Coffin(, Kurokami, The Legend Of Maian, Onihime VS, Rebirth The Lunatic Taker, Unbalance X Unbalance and I think he has few other ones too.(note: Out of those I have only checked Zero and The Legend of Maian. They are pretty different from Aflame Inferno, though latter has pretty similar art style, but story wise it seems less dark, but I only checked first few chapters before getting bored…)

…What? I just dislike misblaming xD I mean, Japanese do lots of creepy fan service at times, but they aren’t only ones xD(and sorry for crappy grammar)

14. c160 says:

Beelzebub original manga was never really all that good(well at least up to the point that I dropped it) so I really don’t think you should keep following it..

15. hikaru says:

I was really looking forward to Beelzebub coz I love Shonen Jump, but the electric shock thing was kinda overplayed, and I managed to predict a whole lot of stuff before it happened. But I expect it to get better! And yeah, it will probably be 50+ episodes =)

And just fyi, Fairy Tail isn’t Shonen Jump ^_^

16. Hmmmmm… perhaps Beelzebub humor/gags just isn’t your type ^^; I find it very hilarious though, despite the repeated jokes (they were so funny though that it still makes me laugh no matter how overused they are xD ). The stupid stuff here made it so amusing for me xD

17. dthiswhtuseek says:

The problem for Beelzebub really is mostly the timing of the jokes, but on another note they seemed to have removed a bunch of jokes that were in then manga for the electric shocks, which annoyed me.

18. Roadhouse says:

mangas and light novels are usually the originals of every anime, you will never know how good it is unless you read it. The 1st chapter of Beelzebub is completely different fromt the 1st episode. This is what happends when you have someone who makes lame romance comedies do a action comedy, Hopefully they change the director to someone who actually knows what there doing

19. Nayrael says:

Some of better jokes from Beelzebub have been removed and they added few (which is too many) electric shocks

The only thing intact is the story bu… Beelzebub isn’t really about the story but gags and parodies so this isn’t exactly such an awesome thing.

20. Scruffy says:

I never really got into the first season of Mitsudomoe so just watched this just because I could .. but it was suprisinbgly funny. There’s some really good hidden details taking the micky out of bad special effects in this .. like for instance you can see that the bus driver is actually a stunt double (becomes a guy) and the car dissapears before it blows up. I think i’m just going to rewatch to see if i can spot some more :)

21. Machi says:

Beelzebub isn’t exactly THAT awesome as some people would put it – though its only with the latest chapters that it is improving in both humor and action (funniest training arc I’ve seen) – its just generally good fun nothing more. So I’m not sure where you got the idea that it is a highly regarded shounen.

22. Mao says:

The manga is LOT better. Most of the first half was anime original. I reread the first chapter I watched this episode and I still find it hilarious, whilst this adaptation is simply horrible. The electrocution joke was the least funny in the manga, why did they choose keep bludgeoning our heads with it? Thus, when they did start with the original material, they didn’t have enough time to properly set up the gags, most of them fell flat. The little things that makes the manga so good are missing too. :/

I’m not giving up the anime yet, I’ll watch the second episode to see if studio Pierrot will stop inserting their fillers into Beelzebub. There are still a lot of chapters to go through before they ran out of materials for a first season. They don’t have to drag it out.

End rant.

As for the manga, I actually found that the best part of the series is in the earlier chapters. The gags are a lot funnier. But lately it’s descending to shounen mediocrity, more fighting, less comedy.

23. Machi says:

You find the humor of the training arc and the courtroom scene to be mediocre? Different taste then :P

24. Frost says:

Heh yeah, Beelzebub had its funny moments, but the electrocute joke was never funny to begin with, I have no idea why they kept repeating it

I have the impression that this is another “The world god only knows”, where people had high expectations for some reason, but it becomes nothing but mediocrity

25. TvT says:

Instantly dropped Freezing after watching the last two minutes – and the irony that the rest of the episode was quite decent actually.

26. Ghost says:

*Sigh* I had a feeling this was going to happen to Beelzebub but it still makes me sad that they didn’t adapt the jokes correctly. I felt the same way about the electrocution joke…I mean come on it’s not in the manga that many times!

I give it two more episodes before I drop it and just read the manga.(Though, it is awesome to see the characters animated.)

27. ShyBlue says:

Beelzebub was just butchered, badly.

I really really hate that director now. All he managed to put out were just really bad adaptations…Ookami Kakushi and 07-Ghost…both of which started out all right, but failed because of poor pacing and execution.

I mean, seriously. What is wrong with him? Unlike what some others say, Beelzebub the anime will not get better in 50+ episodes. I’m sure of that. The manga’s already only 91 chapters long…and the first episode already smooshed 20+ chapters into 30 minutes! This series just promises for fillers.

Urgh…I was so excited for Beelzebub because the manga was the best thing since sliced bread for me…but goddamnit, what a waste of an adaption of a great manga. Dropped on the spot.

28. Westlo says:

Shyblue, you watched the OVA not the TV ep 1.

29. Angela says:

I wouldn’t say it took 50 episodes to get good for Beezelbub. I would never have sat down and read through it all. But I did find it funny and it picked up pretty quickly. I’m a bit squeamish to see how the animation has ruined it.

30. death13a says:

Which Beelzebub 1 episode you watched

1 Where Oga and Furuichi meet Hilda on school rooftop or

2 Where Oga and Furuichi meet Hilda in Furuichi’s house

And yes there is 2 first episode second one follows manga more closely with overused lightning shocks and they should pass over as series progresses.

31. cain says:

I want to watch where Oga, the demon, calmly drinking tea at Furuichi’s house explaining how he met the large LARGE man floating down the river.

32. Taara535 says:

I am honestly shocked people enjoyed either of these series. I dropped Beelzebub 2 minutes after watching it (random peeing, electric shock, and stupid one liners was enough for me).

Freezing, however, I watched all the way through. That was an immoral destructive piece of trash. And no, I’m not talking about the violence or the nudity. I could care less about either. How about the fact that the main character was pointlessly killing allies in “training” exercises. Literally, the entire plot and setting makes no sense. Either this military organization is the most incompetent ever created (guess what killing or mortally wounding 20 people in “training” exercises is not the best way to fight an alien invasion) or it is a despicable dystopia that deserves to be overthrown.

The anime essentially is trying to get you to root for pure unadulterated evil (the main character is full of blood-lust and the organization is evil). It’s pretty bad when a series encourages you to root for the “evil” aliens over humanity…..

33. Tony says:

Have to admit, I’m intrigued by what provoked a reaction of shocked disbelief in several people at the end of Freezing, but I’m not about to watch an entire episode of an anime I’m certain I’ll hate to find out.

34. Ncrdrg says:

Freezing only gets even more gorish. It’s part of its trademark, sorta like Claymore. The opening ep was decent. All I know is that I’ll most definitely like it more than Beelzebub. As for the last scene, it’s actually pretty important >_>

35. Bear says:

Beelzebub may quite honestly be the least funny episode of comedy anime I’ve ever seen. It’s basically just a really terrible knock-off of Cromartie High School (Freddie Mercury included) with an annoying naked baby thrown in as a bonus. Didn’t even crack a smile watching this drivel.

Shoutbox

Name:
Email:
For:
Mail will not be published
  • SuperMario
    (Sunday, May 29. 2016 10:38 PM)
    @Bam: I just glanced over the lightning in a Bottle 2016 and it’s quite impressive. Grimes, Chet Faker, Hundred Waters, Jamie xx? Yay. Yoga & meditation class? Count me in!!
  • AidanAK47
    (Sunday, May 29. 2016 09:40 PM)
    @afgm, positive. DS2 relies too much on mobbing your character and the bosses are terribly unimaginative. DS3 has faster combat that DS1 but I still think DS1 one bosses are better and DS3 had less interesting level design than DS1. Plus DS3 also focuses a bit too much on Mobbing and referencing DS1 instead of making it’s own lore.
  • afgm
    (Sunday, May 29. 2016 07:49 PM)
    @Aidan are you sure you aren’t looking back on DS1 with rose-tinted glasses?
  • Wicked
    (Sunday, May 29. 2016 05:39 PM)
    Other wise I’d have recommended Life and Limit by Keiko Suenobu or maybe something like Mars. Although I don’t think Mars ages very well
  • Wicked
    (Sunday, May 29. 2016 05:33 PM)
    @kaiser Shoujo don’t tend to be as twilight zone-y as Partner, plus it’s only 3 volumes. There are shoujo that deals with heavy subject matters like bullying or forbidden love, but i don’t know if that’s what the person is asking for
  • Kaiser Eoghan
    (Sunday, May 29. 2016 03:27 PM)
    @Wicked: That was a decent enough manga, that Partner series, I like a good dark shojo and it was well enough in that regard within what its genre/demographic could get away with and its story fit comfortably its three volume run.
  • AidanAK47
    (Sunday, May 29. 2016 03:14 PM)
    @K-Off, DSII was a disappointment somewhat salvaged by the DLC. DSIII is much better but still doesn’t top DSI.
  • Bam
    (Sunday, May 29. 2016 03:05 PM)
    @K-off: sorry I’m actually in your (former) neck of the woods about 50 miles north of Orange, working at a music festival called lightning in a Bottle. You’ll love Dark Souls III if you’re patient enough. So much of it is a direct homage/copy of the original that it feels like a shelved fanfic at times, but there is polish and some ingenuity behind some of the deeper nuances of the game.
  • K-Off
    (Sunday, May 29. 2016 06:24 AM)
    @Bam Finally going to start DSIII this monday, I’ll have to see what’s so special about this one since I wasn’t the biggest fan of DSII.
  • K-Off
    (Sunday, May 29. 2016 06:17 AM)
    Pretty pleased with my Vita so far, finished Danganronpa 2 and completed 100% of Ray Gigant this week. June looks like a pretty good month for the Vita, currently deciding whether or not I should purchase Odin Sphere or Grand Kingdom when they release. Of course I really should repair my WiiU gamepad before Mirage Sessions comes out.

1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · »

Bungou Stray Dogs 08a

Bungou Stray Dogs – 08

I have to say more than anything this is Bungou Stray Dogs’ special episode, in a sense that in one hand, the show produces one of its most brilliance ever, but on the other hand, there are still many shortcomings along with the greatness, producing an episode that mostly entertainment but uneven. The introduction of […]

Joker Game - 08 1

Joker Game – 08

Well Joker Game managed to pull a twist I didn’t see coming and what makes it rather amusing is that it did it unintentionally. For you see it took the entire episode for me to figure out that I wasn’t watching the antics of another spy of the D-agency only to figure out that this […]

Flying witch 07b

Flying witch – 07

One of the thing that Flying witch always does it right is how it establish the chemistry between any characters, while at the same time maintain the consistency in their personalities. It feels like if you give them any random characters in any random situation, pretty much the show can hit it off. Last week […]

Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 08 1

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World – 08

I feel bad for the artists and animators who made the opening and ending for this show as they don’t seem to be getting much use. Not that I am complaining of course as if the choice is between a catchy theme song and more content then content wins every time. Though it is a […]

Kiznaiver - 07 4

Kiznaiver – 07

To some this may be the strongest episode of Kiznaiver to date. However to someone like myself I find myself mixed on what I just witnessed. I have said before that what I like about this series are the aspects which are distinctly Trigger which would be it’s sense of wacky humor and character chemistry. […]

Mayoiga 07b

Mayoiga – 08

Again this week Mayoiga succeed at bringing a big screw-you to us audience. The cliffhanger last week is quickly revealed, and we come to learn that Masaki is not a ghost, nor is she a witch, but simply that… she had visited the Lost Village before. Big surprise! It really is a ridiculous anti-climax, but […]

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress – 06

If you haven’t heard by now, the second season of Attack on Titan has been delayed till 2017 because Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress is far too awesome for Studio Wit to handle in a single year. I really couldn’t care less about the delay since I already know what’s going to happen in season […]

Bungou Stray Dogs 07d

Bungou Stray Dogs – 07

This week the plot revolving the Azure King was resolved and it raises the conflict of sense of justice between Dazai and Kunikida. Like what I suspected last week, all the new characters are in play in this episode and now I get the hang of Bungou Stray Dogs storytelling now. The new characters will […]

Joker Game - 07 3

Joker Game – 07

You know, I am beginning to wonder just how do those lessons go at the D-Agency. Is it something like “Ok, class. Today I will teach you how to summon dolphins with a whistle. After that we will go over the magic rituals of Aleister Crowley and finally have a refresher on the finer points […]

20160513001913_1

Lucid9: Inciting Incident Video Game Review – 85/100

It’s not often I pick a game up without prior knowledge. I abhor the act of pre-ordering and at least do a google search on the title to get a general idea of it’s overall quality. Gone are the day you walk into a game store and buy something purely on a whim or the […]

The Totem Warrior

Chinese Animation Guide – Part 3: Haoliners inputs

This part we explore one Chinese animation studio’s works. I choose Haoliners partly because they are independent studio, and their works are not hard to find. Just established in 2013, Haoliners is an indie studio but gathered more reputation in the last few years in their homeland. My experience with them through those titles below […]

Cover

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress OST Review

This will be the first time in my anime blogging career that I have ever done one of these anime OST review. It should be known that I have a complete bias for Hiroyuki Sawano as he has become one of the biggest composer for anime in recent years in some of my favorite anime […]

Nüwa’s Growth Diary

Chinese Animation Guide – Part 2: Chinese Anime shows

As much as I hated the term Chinese Anime (Anime stands for Japanese animation, strictly speaking), this is the exact term for those shows. Their influence from the Anime was so heavy that apart from the voice cast and some scene settings, you can’t tell those apart from the original anime. With that said, judge from […]

If anyone have been followed animation closely for the last few years, they will notice a recent rise of Chinese animation (call it a wave if you like), both in feature and in series. While it does not have much of an impact in any English speaking world like anime has been, they are really popular in their mainland and some parts of Asian countries. With the success of Kung Fu Panda (half-produced by China) and its power on movies industry (China IS the main market for feature films now), it is worth it to take a look on this current trend and see how they are different from anime.
While my fellow bloggers are the ones who more specialize in Games and Manga, I will be the one who cover World Animation (by that I mean anything animated other than anime and American big studio animation – they got way too much coverage already). Like majority of you guys I am not from China, my Chinese is as good as my Japanese (which is to say NONE), so this is actually goddamn difficult to look for titles, and the information I could find are sacred here on top of that find a suitable sub for it, most of them does not even have an English name, thus the title and the synopsis that I give you here are just a rough translation. So behold. This is our very first attempt to cover the animation of china.

Chinese Animation Guide – Part 1: Computer Animated Wuxia shows

If anyone have been followed animation closely for the last few years, they will notice a recent rise of Chinese animation (call it a wave if you like), both in feature and in series. While it does not have much of an impact in any English speaking world like anime has been, they are really popular […]

asagao to kase-san

K-Off’s Ongoing Manga Recommendations (embedded links)

If you frequent the frontpage of Imgur or r/manga often, you may have seen some of my past manga recommendation lists before, but here’s some ongoing manga that I’ll recommend for now. This is in no particular order of best-worst, I’ve also embedded the links to the scanlations into the images for your convenience. 1. […]

New Manga Spotlight – Konya wa Tsuki ga Kirei Desu ga, Toriaezu Shi ne, Shoujo Fujuubun and Shimanami Tasogare

Konya wa Tsuki ga Kirei Desu ga, Toriaezu Shi ne Two chapters so far. Ah love, that sweet nectar which all seek to experience. And truly there is nothing more romantic than gathering up your courage, inviting the girl you love up to the roof, taking her by the shoulders and proclaiming with all your […]

kQtrlYU

Langrisser Re:Incarnation Tensei video game review- 35/100 (avoid it like the plague)

To preface, I’d call this the poor man’s Fire Emblem if it wasn’t so damn expensive for its quality, not to mention so difficult to find. Here in New York City outside of lower Manhattan, there’s game stores in Brooklyn, Queens, Flatiron, and Newport, to a total count of 12 game stores in a 20 […]

413420_20160420220647_1

DanganRonpa 2: Goodbye Despair Video Game Review – 90/100

There may be those of you who know this series more by its anime adaption instead of it’s video games and if you haven’t watched the anime of this I highly recommend that you don’t watch it. Instead play the games which have been recently ported to Steam. The reason I say this is that […]