Posted by psgels on 10 January 2011 with categories: Dragon Crisis, Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka?, Level E, Some Quick First Impressions

Dragon Crisis

Short Synopsis: Our lead character meets a cute girl who can only think about him.
Hmm, this is one with a lot to like and a lot to dislike. To start with the positives, it has one of the best soundtracks of the season so far (and with this season, that is saying something), the animation is surprisingly good for a Studio Deen series and this feels unlike any other series they’ve done before. The action is creative, the car chases are exciting and the characterization for half the cast was actually pretty decent. Ryuuji may be very girly for a guy, but this show actually acknowledges it and gives him more personality beyond “ew, a naked girl!”, and Eriko also turned out to be much more than just that fanservice character which she appeared to be at first sight. Now, the bad thing about this show however is that it just doesn’t make any sense, and it believes that it actually does. This leads to some bizarre situations like hordes of incompetent faceless mafia members that are involved in a plot that has so many holes that there is no way that it can ever be explained, a guy who just skips school for the heck of it and BY FAR the most clingy female lead I’ve ever seen. It’s a very strange combination between something that tries to tell a serious story and something that just wants to act as wish fulfillment by having cute girls continuously spoon over the male lead. The different parts of this episode didn’t mesh well together at all, but I do admit that there’s some potential here.
OP: One of the most unique OP songs I’ve heard in a long while.
ED: Again unique, but this time in a bad way.
Potential: 60%

Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka?

Short Synopsis: Our lead character lives together with two cute girls.
Here is one that turned out better than expected. Of course, this show still has a completely stupid premise and it had quite a bit of fanservice, but it’s surprisingly well executed: the male lead has an actual personality, the scenarios are well written, the jokes are well built up and actually very funny and the action too was surprisingly good for a Studio Deen series. It’s a pretty effective romantic action comedy that knows when it needs to be completely over the top, and when it needs to be completely serious. Because of this, the few serious moments actually worked well and didn’t end up cheesy, and yet the crazy jokes also fit this show. But yeah, if you want to check this out, be aware of the fact that characters have bizarre costumes and very easily lose their clothes in this series.
OP: Decent song, but especially the visuals are nice.
ED: This one is just terrible, though.
Potential: 70%

Level E

Short Synopsis: Our lead character starts living together with an alien.
Hell yeah! Level E just delivered the best first episode of the new season, it had the most interesting back-story, it was the most intriguing opening of the entire season, it neither was overly moe or bishie, it had the best jokes of the new season, the best OP. For me, it completely blew all of the other episodes that have debuted so far this season out of the water. It’s one of those series of which I have no idea what genre it’s going to be: it has a high school student as a male lead, and yet it’s miles away from your average high school show. For a shounen series there was too little action, for a shoujo series there was too little sweetness. For a slice of life series it had a plot that is just way too interesting and a drama also doesn’t really fit. The episode was wonderfully told and I love the creativity that was put into a simple concept of an alien crash landing on earth. The chemistry between the lead characters was just fantastic. None of the characters here are typical. Hell yeah, if only because of this show, this season is going to rock!
OP: Best OP of the season BY FAR. Excellent song, great visuals.
ED: Much more generic J-Rock, but nothing bad.
Potential: 100%

1. Frost says:

I wonder where these guys (David Production) came from… Both Armed Librarians and Ristorante Paradiso rocked, and now this

I hope they stay around for long

2. darkerthanblackswordsman says:

Wow, that’s some serious gushing – and that’s on top of high expectations! Just how good is this series?!

3. garfield15 says:

Sweetness. These are two of the shows I really wanted to see. Glad to see they didn’t disappoint

4. Jeremy says:

Just watched Level E. It was indeed amazing :D Love the main character’s chemistry. I’m just afraid that the girl next door will turn into your typical nice girl and main lead love interest but we’ll see if it can avoid that cliche. + the opening is really cool :)

5. DmonHiro says:

Dragon Crisis: Nice show, good visuals, cute characters.

Koraha Zombie Desuka? : Great show, funny, male lead I like, cute girls.

Level E: Fucking amazing. The alien is by far the funniest thing I’ve seen in a while. He is completely nuts, and also awesome. Funniest show, great premise. Hell, this show rocks.

6. Jeremy says:

And there I’m done with the Zombie episode. Wow…..xD This is the best dumb show I’v seen. It’s so crazy and it doesn’t take itself seriously…AT ALL. But yay, I laughed the whole time.

7. Schmitt says:

Level E is a bit bizarre and going into this season I had no idea what to expect. The manga ran in Jump back in ’95 and it got cancelled pretty early in its run which is why an anime coming out for it after all this time confused the hell out of me. Having read the manga this series is quite hard to pin down and even though I’ve read it I still had no clue what to expect out of the anime. I won’t spoil anything but I’m pleased to see the anime turned out well. Expect an interesting show out of this is all I’ll say.

8. Tomtom says:

Three excellent first episodes. Finally some stuff to really look forward to. With wolverine, freezing (as guilty pleasure) and some other stuff that could turn out ok, I’ll probably be watching more shows than usual this season.

9. Meep says:

I loved Level E, but I really didn’t care for the zombie one at all.

10. Nuuli says:

About Level E: “For a shounen series there was too little action, for a shoujo series there was too little sweetness. For a slice of life series it had a plot that is just way too interesting and a drama also doesn’t really fit.”

To me it seems like those are the characteristics of a good seinen show, if you’re trying to classify it.

11. DanSag says:

Somehow Dragon Crises! reminds me of Letter Bee. Cute, dragon-like girl with blond, long hair meets male lead. She can’t talk but possesses immense (fire) power. It’s the same with the name (Niche and Rose arew both pretty plain names!).

12. Moonhawk says:

Just fnished watching Level E and have to admit that it was quite funny and interesting. I’m not that much of a fan of aliens and scifi in general and only checked it out because I love YuYuHakusho and also enjoyed large parts of HunterxHunter, by the same mangaka. Especially the characters of both series were great to watch so I’m expecting quite a bit of this series, too.

13. Alec says:

I agree Level E has the best 1st episode this season. Then again, the animes this season are mediocre

14. m says:

Level E: I liked this. The characters have faces and appealing designs. The main character is the comedic foil, but seems to be made of more serious stuff than some other wobbly teen protagonists we receive. The tense soundtrack is often pierced mercilessly with absurd humor, from mischievous guest. I hope it maintains its sense of humor without degrading the characters into more boring types.

15. Joe says:

Yep. Level E does have the most solid first episode of the season. The OP artwork was gorgeous. The animation pretty consistent throughout. The jokes timing was spot on, I wish it had been the same with Beelzebub. I laughed quite a bit in the beginning. It would have been better if it weren’t for the awkward pauses between the two guys. But the hideous alien at the end was enough to squash any bl shipping from taking root. XD

I wonder how it’s going to fare in japan. Level E’s original author is Yoshiro Togashi, of YuYu Hakusho and HXH fame. On one hand I would like for it to be popular, on the other, if it does do well it’s going to give Togashi less motivation to get out of his ass and work on HXH. >.>

16. I knew it that Level E’s gonna rock! w00t!

Ah, it’s seinen. So it definitely isn’t shounen, much less shoujo, hehe.

Those shows are better than they seem? I’m curious to check them out now…

17. Invitan says:

@Schmitt: As far as I know, Level E manga was not ‘cancelled’ early, but rather a project of Togashi that was very sporadically updated, which explains its short length.

@Joe: Level E manga was finished long ago actually. And no, I don’t think it was ever that popular.

18. John Smith says:

Couldn’t make it past the 2 minute mark on Level E. What an ugly character design. My eyes burn!

19. Joe says:

Finished the first episode Kore Wa Zombie Desu. It was damn enjoyable. Even the numerous fanservice, couldn’t detract from it’s awesome, juicy, bloodfilled goodness. Obviously, a pervert dead lead turning into a saw wielding, cross-dressing, Masou Shoujo makes for a pretty entertaining show.

Madoka has some serious competition for the title best Mahou Shoujo.

@Invitan

I meant if the anime does well. More money for Togashi to play with, less reason to work.

20. Dgrin says:

did anyone else get a shone-ai vibe from LEVEL E? man I was begging for the alien guy to embed a kiss to the st8 jock,lol..best season series so far!!!

21. Puran says:

@Dgrin : No, and I’m sick and tired of people getting shounen-ai vibes from anything that has two guys that have some (not romantic, mind you) chemistry together.

22. Machi says:

Level-E is not a “seinen” so to speak as it is still published in shounen jump, so categorically speaking it is shounen. Hence, I would avoid classifying it as such, simply put there is no real “genre” for these in the first place merely where its published. Albeit Level-E is strange and different kind that shows Togashi’s interests that he keeps refining with each manga he’s taken, best to look at some of the ideas here as to what carried over to HXH. More importantly Level-E definitely got special treatment from Shounen Jump since this wasn’t published in the monthly magazine but weekly – yet it was not released at a weekly basis he got to take his time.

On to the anime I’m glad they managed to capture the somewhat deadpan and antagonistic humor of Level-E. One thing that still on my mind, and will be answered next chapter, is how they intend to keep the humor references to the 90’s or will they opt to transpose some of it to 00’s. If they do the latter, which I am hoping they do if not its still great because I loved those references, I am curious as to what equivalent they’ve found.

23. Maki says:

Dragon Crisis was so so. A good action packed start but after that they devoted their time to unappealing, dull fan service.

24. c160 says:

Ooh seems Level E publishing history is quite interesting.My question;was it ever finished? The way I read the comments here it seems to be sporadically updated,but did it ever get a proper ending or is it left in the air just like that?

25. Bunny says:

I guess I’m in the minority who doesn’t think Level-E is “amazing”.

I admit, it’s funny and it’s actually nice for a change that the characters look their age (especially the girl, thank goodness, old-school anime designs FTW) it’s just the humor is too random for me. I really want to like this show but I can’t get into it yet.

I’ll give it another episode and see…

26. Bam says:

The comedy of Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka? is top-notch. The scene that references nanaca crash was unexpected to say the least.

27. tanukichan says:

About Level E: isn’t it simply a comedy?

I really enjoyed its 1st episode, and the OP rocks, but somehow I feel the manga is much more humorous. Still it’s definitely a show I’m looking forward to every week now.

28. RollingCamel says:

I love how they ended the episode in Level-E. What a creepy scream!

On the negative side, I hate CG!

29. rever5e says:

Level E
    that was good

30. Machi says:

@c160: Yup it was finished and not really one to leave you hanging.

31. Ncky says:

It was a long time ago since I’ve had laughed this hard like what I did while watching Level E! From the 1st episodes I liked that one the most together with Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica

32. Scruffy says:

Dragon Crisis is cute in a Chobits sort of way and will probably be an enjoyable show as long as you turn off your brain.

The Zombie one? Oh my .. I think i almost wet myself with his magical girl transformation! This will by my MM! of the winter season I recon.

Love the humour and character designs in Level E. Very retro. You get sick of looking at anime that look like they have fallen out of a Key VN after a while. My only concern with Level E is that they seem to be wanting to do the ‘evil scientist’ thing (Pet pieve of mine as I’m a scientist myself). I’ll guess we’ll see.

33. Aikun2012 says:

Not a fan of Level E, but was definitely something interesting… However, for some reason the main protagonist feels like a stupid boring sporty lead and he kinda reminds me of the dark skinned guy from The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Summer Wars… (THEY LOOK SOOOO SIMILAR and they both played baseball) and because of that I have a hard time caring about this guy…

Oh and Bishounens with long hair in an old/retro artstyle do NOT fit… I disliked this guy with a bit of frustration cuz he is soooo ugly and sooooo gay looking (of course, you can say otherwise). I couldn’t care about the girl cuz she was generic and the jokes ARE funny, but kinda scattered and kinda boring as well since most are just satirical reactions towards the events going on…

Also, an alien/scifi focus is not a focus I’m a huge fan of, unless they make it realistic as to why they are in the show. To have a good alien/new creature series, you need to explain at least why they are here in the first place rather than just keep them for convenience…

The anime season isn’t all that bad… I believe that Hourou Musuko, Beelzebub, Oniizen, Zombie, Mahou Madoka, Kimi ni Todoke 2, and Gosick are great ones so far… The decent and skeptical ones lay with Level E, Infinite Stratos (IS is worse than Level E), Starry Sky, Dragon Crisis. Everything else is unknown for I haven’t seen them.. (EXCEPT FOR RIO RAINBOW GATE… This show is SOOOO bad SOOOO dumb and pointless… however, there is only one ep and I may be exaggerating…)

I need some more shojo… like a Beauty Pop anime, or a Shiawasse Kissa Sanchoume Anime, or a You’re My Girlfriend anime!!! I LOVED THE MANGAS!!! Oh and Skip Beat needs to continue it’s anime run… Got any news on that?

34. danto says:

is Level – E another one of those boy love anime

35. brianwuzhere says:

How the hell are you getting yaoi vibes from Level E?

36. danto says:

brainwuzhere, I have yet to see the anime. I just wanted to know if this was another one of those

37. brianwuzhere says:

Oh, my bad. No, but if I were to categorize this, it’s probably going to be a sci-fi comedy.

38. Ncrdrg says:

Loved Dragon Crisis. What vivid colors. The entire episode was really exciting and had a cuteness overload. I disagree that it’s taking itself very seriously though, it looks more like a fantasy anime that takes plot very lightly.

Will comment on the other 2 when I’m done watching

39. Ncrdrg says:

Zombie was surprisingly hilarious. A male lead becoming a mahou shoujou?! XD! My favorite comedies are always those who aren’t afraid to go over the top (like Milky Holmes) so this should be a pretty sweet watch.

40. Ncrdrg says:

Level, I didn’t think it was going to be a comedy. It’s a very interesting mix of all sorts of styles, very hard to categorize like you said pgels. It was great. (Though not the best first episode, I’d give it to Zombie so far)

41. AKI says:

Well, that’s so much for the hype on Level E. I was kind of disappointed on the first episode. If this is Togashi we’re talking about, I’m dumbfounded! Unlike HXH, and YYH, this show doesn’t have much energy. Well, I guess that’s something different from Togashi.

42. moochi2000 says:

Level E really is one of the best anime this season, in terms of delivering a solid first episode. I totally understand why you gave it such a high rating, but seriously the other anime were just not that satisfying. I think it also depends on the target audience. When i was younger I’d get a great laugh out of kore wa zombie desu ka and beelzelbub. But I appreciate anime with more depth or meaning and not just characters stripping or showing cleavage out of nowhere.

Level E delivers that sense of maturity and the OP was quite unique in my opinion. And no…I see no shonen ai. And I don’t want to see any in the future lol.

43. Homun says:

Well i liked Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka’s ending…

44. Dgrin says:

guys I didn’t say LEVEL E is like yaoi or that it will turn to shonen-ai…just the whole set up is kinda like a twisted maho shoujo lands in the apartment of an involuntary pissed off guy by force….the Alien character, who is probably sexless(?) in the way we humans are, he is somewhat effeminated in a very bishoujo way,the way he talks, the methods he uses to persuade..and the other guy who is all types of masculine,athletic etc is sort of building a need to protect the Alien..NOT talking about having feeling for him like sexually, or a lover, but more like a…pet…

45. AYUMU \w/ says:

Level E and Kore wa Zombie Desu ka are some of the best animes last year ^^

Is it possible to be self aware of your lack of self awareness?
Seiren is worse than I've hoped, but I still want to finish it, along with Demi-chan and Dragon maid
Onihei I will give it another episode but the episodic nature doesn't grab me as much anymore. I will follow Hand Shakers because for Christsake it's just something else
I enjoyed Akiba's trip (still fun to see an anime that inspired by other anime and appeal to anime fans only), Masamune-kun no Revenge (2nd episode wasn't good but the 3rd was alright), Urara and Gabriel Dropout but that's the end of my trip on them
Okay, since we reached the 3rd episodes (man, don't tell me we already passed a quarter of this season already), I'll give you a bit of recap on what I've been following this season:
Guess we can put that down as one of the most important things a critic needs. Self Awareness.
@Anon, I won't deny having an inflated sense of worth but Nostalgia blindness? You are reaching man.
Just like you :)
Anyway I never heard of this guy and he seems like the usually case of Nostalgia blindness and inflated sense of worth. Nothing really worth concerning ourselves about.
"How can I be pretentious when I mean everything I say?" Oh silly silly fool. Being an idiot doesn't mean you can't be pretentious.
I bring him up because I feel he'd be more controversial than Tenka seiha/aroduc or digibro.
Roriconfan/thatanimesnob/Peter Malousis: [link src="https://www.youtube.com/user/ThatAnimeSnob
I don't know who would that be either Kaiser? A V-blogger?
Who?
We talk about digibro on here, yet we never talk about Rorico.
I agree
Shitcunt is the greatest anime villain of all time. End of argument.
Best villain was clearly JJ. JJ is actually the best character for every category.
@SuperMario, I just felt there was some social context to the discussion with the boss that I missed.
Bah, haven't you heard, the best villain category was for the dictionary in Lost passage, must have been bastard-hard effort getting that compiled =P
To sum that up, don't bully my waifu or I will end you.
@Mario, She only killed him once and tortured him for information once. Both times because he had something which showed he had a connection to the witch. Besides, the anime mainly showed off her good points but she still has a crushing inferiority complex and a rather delicate mindset.
Oh I have one. How about Lovepon? lol
@Topgavin: it was sarcasm actually, if we do it again next year we might cut down some categories. But I totally agree that we're lacking of good villains. Biba and that teacher are the worst as they actually dragged their shows down.
Honestly though there's been a real lacking of good villains last year. I hear some guy from Jojo was pretty good, but other than that they've either been okay or lackluster. Makes you wonder how FMA:B managed to get so many villians right in so many ways when shows usually fail to get even 1 half as good.
@Supermario Biba or Teacher-dude from Erased surely...
Maybe we should include the best villain next time, haha. I honestly don't know who to pick...
oh Rem, that demon girl who tried to kill Subaru many times over. Why is she the best girl again?
@Kaiser: I watched Moonlight last night in cinema and it was great. I had high expectation for that and it pretty much delivered. Also Janelle Monae was so freaking hot.
OMG, that 3rd episode of Rakugo was so greattttt. @Lenlo: don't need to understand the meaning of the rant thou, Yotaro doesn't understand either
Think of the fine children/breeding stock Aidan and rem would offspring =P
Dye their hair, make things confusing ;)
@Anon, hahahaha, cool joke bro.....
...............................Don't make me destroy you.
The one with red hair of course
rem? who's that?
Having read the books, theres afew inconsistencies and I dont like some of the choices for actors.
*couldn't
Buh buh but Aiiiidan you still have the koe no katachi movie and thaaats kyoani =P But lol phantom world was so poor I couldn't get past the second episode. A shame that they could go with the darker spin the author ended up apparently going for in later volumes.
@Lenlo, I am currently eh on it as well. Only at the second episode so far. I find it interesting but it has a lot of things that turn me off.
7 YEARS I SAT ON THAT BOAT!

Still havnt finished Flip Flappers. I like it, its pretty, each episode is different, but I can barely tell what the over-arching narrative is and thats a big deal to me
ITS REAL
BOAT TIER
@Aidan, Series of Unfortunate Events was eh. I wasnt a big fan of the TV adaptation, though I did like Neil Patrick Harris
@Lenlo: BOAT TIER lmao.
Thats why I LOVED flippflappers so much, where else can I get THAT anywhere, totally its own thing/beast.
My big ones for the year were easily Rakugo and Re:Zero. Disappointments, biggest one is Berserk. Ive been following it for years, have the entire series on my shelf, and I watched it like a captain going down with his ship
At the same time well, yes its still good to see a non-highschool story in ANYTHING.
Ah, you see I don't really award points to an anime doing something unique to anime, I judge by all mediums as a group/whole. 91 days may be a mafia drama, kabaneri may be a zombie show but theres already plenty of those in the world elsewhere.
I could see myself getting some oldskool charm out of alderman if I watched it. I was waiting for yuri on ice to be dubbed. Drifters for all its problems was some of the most fun I've had in ages.
The only thing I saw that I truly abhorred though was the new shinkai film.
Most of the other stuff I didn't really bother watching. Its pointless for me to shit on about 91 days and re:zero because I was guaranteed to dislike both before seeing either.
Biggest disappointments for me were erased , berserk and joker game. Whereas my surprise was lost passage. My favourites of the year were flippflappers and Rakugo. I wanted Kabaneri and dimesion w to save anime and bring back some oldskool charm but that didn't happen.
Alright I spent over an hour formatting this thing and now I am knackered. Readers, this summery is over 23 pages long so be prepared as this thing is pretty huge. Don't say you were not warned.
@Kaiser, Watch it. I bet it will be up your alley.
Thats a problem with adaptations, put a voice on certain characters and it can become irritating.
And to be fair on scums wish, that it deals with the sex bit in a teen story, well that makes it more daring and thats points for it.
@Aidan: Largely stayed away from that series as I assumed it was for young children.
@Aidan: Additionally the relationships in that manga got too convoluted, the comedy stands out worse in the anime too. Still though I DO dig the idea behind the show of two kids who are in a fake relationship.
@Kaiser, you think that's hard to watch try watching Netflix's A series of unfortunate events. Because boy do I want to brutally murder the banker and his family. That may sound severe to you but trust me, you will feel likewise.
@Aidan: You were right about it being harder to watch scums wish than read it. I want to hit the twin tails girl with a hatchet.
I'm laughing now remembering an old ANN review where they stated golgo 13 was a stress reliever for 30 something Japanese office workers, I get that so much more now lol
But seriously violence in fiction, anime/manga included is so damn therapeutic.
As such I genuinely was able to enjoy the new M night shaylman flick lol
Venting here largely because I can, I now imagine the teenage/twenty something audience members at horror/thriller films as the victims in the films, makes it more tolerable to deal with their existence in the cinema.
I cant help but feel theres some cultural aspect I am missing to the Rakugo rant scene. Makes me sad.
Rakugo, continues to be great and gets another time skip. Im always surprised by how engrossing it is just listening to these people talk.
Makes me sad, just like Berserk. Got an entire shelf dedicated to it but its just so slow. stupid boat.
Vagabond was phenomenal, but its been on hiatus for years now hasnt it
....well without spoiling towards the middle of that rakugo episode and all throughout during that middle part, my opinion on Yotaro's character went far up.
Struggling to remember the name of that josei samurai manga from the 90s (or earlier 2000s), had a gender bending theme.
I've already read kenshin and vagabond, I loved shigurui death frenzy and sword of the stranger but found samurai champloo uneven. Theres a kagemusha manga but I haven't read it and I've yet to see/read blade of the immortal.
At a glance I'll go against the grain and say I think demi-chan is funnier than konosuba, going on one episode of each.
I've been watching a fare share of samurai films in the last two years and lately so I'm open to wathing more anime/reading manga dealing with samurai.
Hand Shakers, how I love to watch it jumping off the cliff. This show contains lines like "I don't understand... even if I did understand... but I don't understand." It isn't a dialogue that we encounter too often I'm sure.
@Mario, Sounds good to me. With me covering Little Witch Academia, Saga of Tanya the evil and Rakugo this season is well covered.
so I've decided to blog 3-gatsu, Scum's Wish and ACCA this season. A bit worry about the latter as I still don't have much to talk about that. Let's try it and see what happens; I say
Okay, I'm not hot on Onihei this week, as if the main theme about these two episodes were "people can be corrupted" then I'm not buying it. ACCA, on the other hand, was still very solid of building up the world and its big events to come.
I have played all the big roguelikes and found they have the same problem. I argee on procedural generation. Even if the map is different every time you are essentailly going through the same rooms and doing the same things.
Though to be honest, I don't like procedural(or designed room and then game connects them randomly) games much. I much enjoy hand designed dungeons since I rarely play games through more than once anyway so roguelike's appeal of "Every time you play it through its different!" doesn't appeal to me much and hand designed dungeons are much more memorable
Can't really comment further on that since I don't know which roguelikes you have played, and neither I have played gungeon so I don't know if its badly designed to the point you can't do anything if rng says so. Though I guess there is nothing wrong about liking luck based games, if roguelike in question is truly unbeatable if rng says so, well, its really badly designed one if you ask me.
Take my last run. Made it up to the fourth floor. Got plenty of guns but none were really useful. Even then ran out of ammo for all of them and the game was cheap about giving out ammo. Plenty of money but shops with nothing worth buying. Over 5 heart containers but no goddamn health. Died on the boss because I rolled out of a bullet into another bullet. Pretty much unavoidable.
@Masky, that's the theory but in pretty much every roguelike I played its not the case. If the RNG decides you are going to have a bad time then you are going to have a bad time. Skill can only bring you so far. I have played this game for 7 hours and I know I could have finished it in 2. Only thing stopping me is a dice roll.
Like, the thing with roguelikes is that they can get easier/harder depending on luck, but well done one should be completable even without any upgrades at all if you are skilled enough.
Thats not the really case with roguelikes though, unless game design is bad and includes insta kill traps and such that are unavoidable if you are unlucky
I hate roguelikes. Been playing enter the Gungeon and I just lost all patience with it. Getting real tired of my victory being decided by a RNG. It never feels satisfying to finish a roguelike because I know my victory was determined by pure luck.
So we got to rely on fansubs for it when it's airing.
@Mario, Nope. I think because netflix only puts up full seasons they are only planning to put it up when it's finished airing. Or when it's dubbed.
But how does the Netflix thing work? So of I have a Netflix account I can watch the show weekly?
@Aidan: that's a dumb way to do things really because unless you watch the show weekly, everyone gonna forget that it even exist. Just look at Re-Life last year
thought*. Words are hard.

Eventually found the actual first ep though and enjoyed it.
Was funny. I tried to find the first Ep for Little Witch, found original short made afew years ago, watched it and though "This is very similar to the original... Whats new".
Little witch is one of the best shows this season and yet I can't get subtitles because Netflix doesn't release shows weekly. Motherf*cker.
Ore Monogatari I enjoyed. It was a nice romance that actually explored what happens after the confession. Also the 2 leads are just precious.
Alright but unmemorable seems like a good summation.
@Lenlo: one good thing about Seiren is if you don't like this romance, the whole thing gonna reset after episode 4 so there's a chance that you might end up like it. Agreed that the comedy wasn't very good. Alright but unmemorable
@Topgavin: I watched like first 3 episodes and stopped because I didn't have much time there, but I enjoyed what I saw. A well-written and endearing show in my book
Has anyone here watched Ore Monogatari before? Because in the 4 years I've watched anime, I've never heard of it (I guess it did come out 2 years ago) and yet it's turning out to be one of my favorite shows. Always great going into a show expecting nothing and getting pleasantly surprised.
Only one more impression to go. Should have it up tomorrow.
Im really not feeling Seiren. Its "comedy" isnt for me and I just dont find it very enjoyable to watch so far. Im curious if it gets any better but 2 episodes in it just isnt that good.
HelghastKillzone
That ending scene is an entire side-story compressed into that. Don't expect anymore of it from here on out as the it sticks to ruthless military/fantasy pretty well.
LookingForKeys
@Topgavin I think it was good, making it the second episode. That way the first set up the world the story will be in, and showed how much of a monster the "little girl" really is right at the end, and then made ep.2 the explanation. Nothing against Tanya trying to rip "God" a new one.
That after-credits scene, though...
Hmm, as much as I like Seiren's omnibus format, it doesn't turn out really hot this second episode. Demi-chan, on the other hand, still maintains its endearing tone. Might blogging Demi-chan instead
Yeah, that second episode was much better than the first. Dunno why they didn't start with that to be honest, waste of an opportunity for a good hook episode. The voice for the main girl still sounds weird to me though; I get it's supposed to sound weird because it symbolizes 'her' being out of place and her personality and body being a mismatch, but it'll certainly take some getting used to.
Youjo Senki, now we are talking. Like Helghast said, Did the god scene way better than the LN and manga. Made it less comedic and more intimidating.
Oh man that Rakugo intro. Not sure what to think, but first time seeing it I liked it
I sort of like good will hunting because I kind of saw a bit of myself in Damon's character when I watched it ages ago.
@Mario: Remaking psycho and ruining the shower scene, for shame van sant, for shame.
Its easy to ripoff some obscure thing though and get away with it. The dogtooth director essentially stole an old Mexican film to make that.
@Kaiser: yeah, that following some guys from behind like they were on a RPG games, which I think actually fit with the tones of Elephant. I have such mixed feeling with Gus van Sant too. Don't really think he's a great director.
@Mario: Although Istvan Szabo is probably a little more well known for that Mephisto film that updates the Faust story. Zoltan Fabri's the fifth seal is a very thought provoking war movie.
@Mario: I remember seeing a film documentary that featured Gus van sant in one section, they showed clips of tarrs films, Sant ripped of the cinematography and stole the style from some British short film to make Elephant.
@Kaiser: agree on the other Hungarian filmmakers, I don't know much about them either.
@Mario: Scorsese's Silence was a big comeback. I really really emotionally connect with spiritual crisis stories.
@kaiser: yep, definitely check wreckmeister down. Althought I admit that watching his 2-hour plus films will feel like 5-hour anyways
@Mario: I'm more tolerant of darker teenage/coming of age films/stories. Les Demons was a big surprise.
@Mario: Though its kind of frustrating, I do think Tarr probably takes attention away from other hungarian filmakers because no-body knows who the hell the others are.
@Mario: Man, wreckmeister was so visually arresting I started getting dreams from it.
@Mario: I would consider Tarr to be kind of a poor mans Janco, Angelopolus and Tarkvosky rolled into one. I don't entirely "get" wreckmeister and man from London but they are great atmospheric mood piece experiences.
@Kaiser: I had been wanting to watch Belar Tarr's Turin Horse and Werckmeister Harmonies for so long now. Well, Fat Girl is shocking haha, but I'm normally drawn into those kind of films anyway.
@Kaiser: Margaret took like 5,6 years to release because he couldn't cut it down in the way he wanted. The final cut if I remembered correctly was edited by Martin Scorsese
@Mario: Only a HDcam for moonlight now.
I looks like my lineup is witch academia, rakugo and youjo senki, well the most latter one until I get bored.
@Mario: I sense a directors cut for manchester, it feels like it need another 30 minutes.
@Kaiser: right up my valley. Watch Kenneth Lonergan's previous works Magaret and You Can Count on Me. Magaret is very messy but have a raw dialogue and interactions as well
Now the first episodes are over, I will keep on covering 3-gatsu, as for the other twos atm I have 3 options: 1) full romance/anti-romance high school Seiren/Scum's Wish. 2) slice-of-life moe monster girls Demi-chan/Maid Dragon and 3) Mature,dark Onihen/Acca (which although I like them I don't have much to talk about).If you guys have any preference on which shows you like covered then let me know
@Helghast: At this point I'm watching youjo senki as an entertaining guilty pleasure.
@Mario: Too many reboots upcoming, will wait for the dvds instead. I want to explore more of manchester by the sea's director's work. I also want to finally get more into Bela Tarr's stuff.
@Mario: I was rather shocked by A Ma souer/fat girls final act. Scenes with the Italian in the bedroom were initially creepy.
@Kaiser: it's a nice review Kaiser, a bit jealous with you that you've seen those 3 films which are touted as the best films of 2016. Also Fat Girl, haha, I love that movie.
Poor yotaro =< you have so much stuff going down on you =<
HelghastKillzone
Youjo Senki episode was so good today. That revamped scene with God just fitted so right.
A official release of that game in the west is apparently coming but it's been a few years and not much news about it.
@Aidan: Ah yes that was the one.
@Kaiser, Had to think for a moment on that one but I think I was talking about this. https://vndb.org/v3144
Now I'd hardly consider myself a studio trigger fan, but I watched the first witch academia episode there, it was actually kind of fun, got the same reaction from me as flipflappers did, that magical, special feeling.
@Mario: I also, of interest reviewed Kenneth Lonegrans new film: http://letterboxd.com/shao_liu_ringon/film/manchester-by-the-sea/
@Mario: Moonlight got some feels out of me though it could of been more, it ends abruptly and with 20 extra minutes they could have spent a bit more time on each section of his life.
@Mario: I checked out lala land, ending was very well executed, one of three scenes in the film that were impressive visually. The whole thing looked pretty and Gosling and Stone had some decent chemistry. Although it didn't resonate emotionally as strongly as the musicals of Jacques Demi did.
MOM I want aiyoku no eustia and I want it now.
I've never heard of himawari or tokyo babel. The hellsing comparison at least interests me in dies irae. What was the name of that visual novel again that was coming out soon, Aidan you described it as "And Kaiser would love it because its supposed to be really fucked up".
I vaguely remember the anime for 11 eyes, it was very forgettable, even the voice acting was poor, hated the childhood friends and the pacing was poor, those black knight things were kind of interesting though.
@Aidan: You'll have to add me onto the list of those unsatisfied with the ever 17 writer, I read one of those games and felt it was a bunch of interesting bait that never paid off.
Anyway I plan on doing a review of 11eyes here when I finish it.
Can't say I was a fan of Ever17. That was a really good twist but when it came to explaining it their was a lot of contrived development. Generally not a fan of the writer. Looseboy, Ryukishi, Gen and Nasu are more my kinda thing
@Anon, it is nice that so many VNs are on steam but I wish they wouldn't be stupid with the whole no adult content thing. Not so much for myself but to prevent idiots from writing negitives reviews because the game doesn't have sex. VNs can grip you in a way anime simply can't and while they require pathence and time those can be some pretty powerful stories.
@Aidan, I am so happy steam's so VN-friendly now. I think it's a very good type of media. Like anime, it has nice visuals, music and some movement but also the inner monologue and text amount of books. It's the perfect combination. Plus, the routes, which are often puzzle pieces and PoVs you have to go through to understand the whole story. True routes like the one of Ever17 blew my mind.
Hopefully the two VNs I bought of steam turn out better. Tokyo Babel is supposed to be alright and I heard really good things about Himawari.
I am about a third of the way through the game and really not much of worth has happened. The concept is interesting but the execution is sorely lacking.

Scum’s Wish – 02 [I’m here for that warmth]

Welcome to the roller coaster of the emotional manipulative anime of this season, are you with me on this ride? Scum’s Wish has the exact opposite issues with ACCA in that it tries to overwhelm us with lots of raw feelings that sometime it touches the line of manipulation. This episode, fortunately, still pretty much […]

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. – 02 [The Partner in Crime’s Name is Nino]

I admit that although I think ACCA is one the most solid show this season and I in particular like how they set up the settings and the events to come, the first two episodes didn’t grab me that much personally. As a result, in prepare for this post, I went ahead and watching them […]

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu – 15

It was inevitable that Yotaro’s past with the Yakuza would come back to haunt him but boy did it really bite him in the ass. I was wondering as to how the show would work with Yotaro and give him conflict but then this episode comes along and gives him plenty to worry about. He’s […]

Little Witch Academia – 02[Pappiliodya]

I may regret choosing to cover this series as what makes it great is a quality that cannot really be held up to professional scrutiny. Much like Triggers other works, it’s not what’s being presented that matter but rather how it’s presented. You can make the argument that Trigger doesn’t necessarily innovative but rather take […]

3-gatsu no Lion – 13 [Black River (part 2) – Beyond the Door]

This week we have 2 disjoined chapters, which are different in tones and more importantly in their point of view. We go through the first section from Smith-san perspective detailing his own thoughts towards the match against Gotou, and the latter part Rei took the stage, being on his way to challenge Gotou in next […]

Saga of Tanya the Evil – 02[Prologue]

As I initially thought, this series becomes a whole lot better when you can see the disparity between the main protagonists thoughts and how those around her view them. The first episode jumped ahead in the story to where Tanya had established herself somewhat and I believe the intent was to mislead the audience with […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2, Chaos;Child, Marginal#4 KISS Kara Tsukuru Big Bang and Scums Wish

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2 Short Synopsis: Kazama stands trial after accidentally blowing up a lord’s manor while saving the town. This show certainly hasn’t lost it’s charm. I had the biggest smile on my face while watching and it even managed to get me laughing out loud at points. I will admit […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Onihei, Gabriel DropOut and ACCA – 13-ku Kansatsu-ka

Onihei Short Synopsis: A captured thief joins the police to hunt down his old leader. For a studio’s first work this is quite a solid offering. The beginning reminded me of samurai champloo though this seems more a traditional samurai story. Animation isn’t anything too impressive but it does the job and there is some […]

Some Quick First Impressions: Hand Shakers, Kemono Friends and Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon

Hand Shakers Short Synopsis: A boy holds the hand of a girl he finds in a hospital room and ends up in a supernatural battle to the death. GoHands, you know what would be great? If you know, instead of slapping on lens flares and colour filters all over the place, you just don’t do […]

Flip Flappers (Fall 2016) Review – 93/100